[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 36

File: the day 5eg's night was ruined.png (93KB, 1011x669px) Image search: [Google]
the day 5eg's night was ruined.png
93KB, 1011x669px
Original Content Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54384546

When was the last time a PC ruined your night? How did they do it?
>>
>>54392801

>When was the last time a PC ruined your night? How did they do it?

Bugbear barbarian metagaming intentional retardation getting another PC killed.
>>
>>54392801
Is weird to say that I've never really had a session of any D&D version that would consider to be ruined.

The AD&D campaign our DM ran was actually rather fun and since everything has been ported over to 5e things have been fine.
>>
>>54392801
It's never a PC, it's always the DM

;_;
>>
>>54392801
Fellow party member, actually. We were hunting down a Wendigo and they, being full of themselves, just snuck off to kill the Wendigo themselves. They expected that we'd wonder where they'd gone and find them sitting on the corpse of the Wendigo with a big smile, deserving of applause, and showing just how much better he was than the party.

Of course, they were immediately killed and turned into a Wight, but the player was annoyed because they felt they could totally take the Wendigo on by himself despite repeated warnings from the DM that it was a powerful creature and was known for having soundly defeated several wannabe-heroes in the past.

Context: This was the character's first night in the campaign and was the first night the player had come to the game. It was also their last I'm thankful to report.
>>
Hey /5eg/, I need some roleplay advice.

I'm rolling a Lawful Neutral Way of Shadow Monk and I'm having difficulty thinking up a code of ethics for him to abide by.

Any ideas?
>>
Hey

Remember the Shifter Prestige Class in 3e (I think it was actually called Master of Many Forms outside of NWN)?

I really loved the versatility of it, changing into humanoids and fucking skeletons instead of just beats. Whatever happened to it?

Any good Homebrew of it for 5e?
>>
What's a good reason for a samurai to be in a medieval European fantasy setting?
>>
Which campaign setting needs some love in 5e and why is it Dark Sun?
>>
>>54392938
Also for those wondering it wasn't just a declaration of death or whatever. He entered the lair, hooting and hollering for the Wendigo to come face him like the epic hero he thought he was and, when face to face with it, told it to make the first move.

Its first move was to try and freeze him solid and he rolled a 3 where he needed a 13 on the die. So, encased in ice, and having left the party with a Stealth check clueless that he was even gone, he was thus Helpless and the Wendigo forced open his mouth and vomited down his throat. Having then eaten the flesh of another man, thanks to the mountain's curse, he became a Wight over the next several minutes.

Of course, during those minutes, we had no idea he'd gone off on his own. He just requested to sidebar with the DM, came back with an annoyed face, and we were busy arguing with the natives that we had to kill the Wendigo - that it wasn't a God.

He was so aggravated by the turn of events that he ducked out halfway through the night after refusing to make a new character.
>>
>>54392941
You are a ninja. You never kill for personal reasons - it's either self-defense, or you must be paid to, and you're not going to stretch the "self-defense" either.
>>
>>54393022
Exile.
>>
>>54393022
You're on a mission to restore honor of your master.
>>
>>54393022
trade delegate
>>
>>54393074
A creature counts as half cover (+2 AC)
>>
>>54392801
How does firing into melee work in 5e? Disadvantage? Can you hit the wrong target?
>>
>>54393022

Difficulty reading maps.
>>
>>54392968
Shifters are a race option in 5e in UA Ebberon
>>
File: Enchantment Gems.png (278KB, 1830x1402px) Image search: [Google]
Enchantment Gems.png
278KB, 1830x1402px
I know this is pretty video gamey, but I wanted to add an enchantment method to items.
Some concerns that came up...
Should the slotted items require attunement?
Is the price too high or too low?

These are the alternatives to the Ruby with damage types for the effects and spells used as a bonus action for the legendary item...
Ruby (Fire): Burning Hands, Dexterity
Topaz (Radiant): Guiding Bolt, Wisdom
Amethyst (Psychic): Dissonant Whispers, Wisdom
Oynx (Necrotic): Arms of Hadar, Constitution
Opal (Cold): Ice Knife, Dexterity
Amber (Lightning): Thunder Wave, Dexterity
Emerald (Poison): Ray of Sickness, Constitution
>>
>>54393143

Yeah I know they're a race. But I was talking about what was once a Druid Prestige Class from older editions.
>>
File: delegates10.jpg (7KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
delegates10.jpg
7KB, 259x195px
>>54393102
The deregates, Donarudu-san.
>>
>>54393107

Officially, I believe it's supposed to grant some degree of cover, so additional AC for the target.
>>
>>54392801
My entire group does that every single session. They just sit silently waiting for me to tell them what to do. We have 5 players and it's basically my single player campaign.

I DM a 40k campaign for them too. It took them 3 hours to come up with a plan that was meant to take 5 minutes.
>>
>>54393074
not sure that's what you're asking but i like to clarify this rule:
if you have a creature at your melee you have disadvantage on any ranged attacks (spell attacks) you make.
yes, that doesnt mean you just have disadvantage for hitting this one creature.
>>
>>54393163
The inconsistency in higher tier gem's comparative performance really pierces my taint.
>>
>>54392801
The paladin of the party (who was essentially the main character) kept flaking out for sessions before finally officially leaving the session. He left so he could play realm of the mad god instead
>>
>>54393038
What level were you guys? What could have possibly given him that level of confidence barring immense stupidity?
>>
>>54393301
Explain, please. What's wrong with the higher tiers?
>>
File: image.png (6KB, 415x416px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6KB, 415x416px
>>54393234
That didn't clarify anything at all
>>
>>54392941
Secret police for his lord.General police code of ethics and conduct but more focused on killing villains than apprehending them.
>>
>>54393365
As long as there's an enemy creature within 5 feet of you that's participating in the combat, you have disadvantage on any ranged attacks that require a roll to hit. That includes spells
>>
Hi friends. I am going to be playing a 5e game with some friends. Most of us--including myself--have very little or no experience playing 5e, or DnD overall. Anyhow, my plan is to play a Ranger and pop pop pop watch motherfuckers drop. Any advice in terms of feats and skills to pick up, good race, etc.? I reckon I would like to essentially be a stealth archer but I want to maximize on sniping. I'll prtobably decide on personality traits during character creation this weekend.
>>
>>54393390
I don't think that's true dude
>>
>>54392801
Can someone who is not a total shit-for-brains make a 5eg discord so we can have good discussions and bolster friendships already?
>>
>>54393402
>stealth archer

Skyrim pls go
>>
File: disgusted and disapointed pepe.png (48KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted and disapointed pepe.png
48KB, 400x389px
>Clerics always carry a mace even though their religion does not forbid the spilling of blood

When will we be free of this silly meme?
>>
>>54393022
LONG AGO IN A DISTANT LAND
>>
>>54393341
8. He really did think he was hot shit because he was doing a net-build that was absolutely the best rogue for killing stuff.

Unfortunately for him he didn't factor in the point that creatures are typically built to fight *four* people - not *one*.
>>
>>54393425
Alright mate, here you go. https://discord.gg/FPKmaW
>>
>>54393390
>>54393405
Never mind, I just checked the PHB and it's true. I've been playing wrong this whole time...
>>
>>54393426
If I had the list of races and how they were at stealth arching, I would have posted that along with my question. :-(
>>
>>54393432
Nobody's forcing you to wield a mace, anon. There are many other simple weapons you can wield.
>>
>>54393432
Maces are fucking cool though. Third coolest weapon after halberds and mauls.
>>
How is the Celestial Warlock pact? What's the best way to use it?
>>
>>54393432
They carry a mace so they can fuck up skeletons.
>>
>>54393402
For races you'll want to pick anything that gives you +2 to dexterity. I'd recommend wood elf for their mask of the wild racial ability. For skills take stealth (duh) and perception (the most auto-pick skill in the game). Leave the rest of your skill choices up to character flavor. For classes I'd recommend either rogue for sneak attack damage and cunning action or fighter for extra attacks, action surge, and archery fighting style. Pump your dex as high as you can and do NOT dump con. Light armor will keep your AC at a respectable number while not imposing disadvantage on stealth so long as you have good dex
>>
>>54392801

I am struggling to deal with one players disruptive behaviour and it ruined the game night for me at least.

He's playing a Paladin who completed his quest arc which involved a series of trials that culminated in the slaying of a foul demon responsible for the destruction of his temple.

Upon decapitating the demon and sending it back to the abyss the player fist bumped the air, leaped across to me, pinned me to the table , pulled down his trousers, flopped his testicles out and squatted his balls into my mouth repeatedly while changing "fuck you faggot demon"

I was really quite flustered but I didn't want to mess with his player agency in such a defining moment.

Perhaps I should apply some in-game penalty the next time he does this though as it was really quite unpleasant, maybe I can make him fall? what do you guys think?
>>
>>54393402
Rangers suck. Like, they suck REALLY bad.

Take my advice and be a dexterity Fighter instead. Your shots will be more accurate and do more damage once you start unlocking combat maneuvers.

Also if you're using feats, I'd highly suggest picking up the Sharpshooter feat.
>>
>>54393450
I didn't ask for the link to the same old shitheap.
>>
>>54393432
Mace is just weaponized rod or scepter, that convey that they are authority.
>>
>>54393496
(you)
>>
>>54393060
That's fantastic. I'll use that one for sure.

>>54393386
I forgot to mention he's of the Criminal background. He's a Ghostwise Halfling and he comes from a small rare clan of other shadow monk halflings who offer their services for coin.

I'm still fairly new to D&D, this is my second character, but I figure him developing some wanderlust and going on an adventure should be fine as long as he doesn't break any of the tenets of his code.

So, for example, maybe he'll only agree to killing a monster in a cave for someone only if they pay him up front?
>>
>>54393426

Isn't that what Deep Stalker Ranger is?
>>
>>54393516
I see you're playing Midget Geralt.
>>
>>54393201
Completely semantic, but I feel like a Japanese translation would be Donarudo because of how they pronounce mcdonalds.
>>
>>54393496
Why did he put his nuts in YOUR mouth and not the demon's? I'm so confused
>>
>>54393537
R is the closest thing to L in japanese, yes.

"L" technically doesn't exist.
>>
>>54393494
>>54393505
Thanks brothers. I have all this wrote down.
>>
>>54393516
No, you work out with your party that they'll give you a share of loot* and rewards, and you'll help them in return.
This is why fucking up goblins in a cave is okay, but when a tough guy starts talking shit in a tavern, you just smile and nod in asian.

* - share of loot, as in they will loot it and give you a share. Never loot the dead bodies yourself, it's beneath your station.
>>
>>54393402
>stealth archer
Bugbear assassin is your best option
>>
What's the best race for a Barbarogue?
>>
>>54393485
Pact of the Chain, and then that invocation that lets you regain max hitpoints on any die rolls while your familiar is near you.
>>
>>54393583
>Barbarogue
The race to the floor, as the noose tightens around your fucking neck.
>>
>>54393203
Do you get sneak attack from firing into melee or am I misreading that?
>>
>>54393583
Bugbear is good for the 13 strength needed for multiclassing and racial features. If you're not using monsters then try out halflings
>>
File: Back to Reddit.jpg (229KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
Back to Reddit.jpg
229KB, 717x880px
>>54393583
>>
>>54393441
Wow, that's rather depressing. Also,
>not realizing that rogues generally do better with allies
Good thing he's gone.
>>
>>54393622

Sneak Attack and cover have no interaction.
>>
>>54393516
my advice is to talk with at least one of the other players and maybe see if you can play this ninja/bodyguard role with them. an old wizard who saved your life, whatever.
this is how you create meaningful characters. you create positive background feedbacks with one another.
>>
File: Truesimon.jpg (29KB, 321x400px) Image search: [Google]
Truesimon.jpg
29KB, 321x400px
Why are so many people against using whips? I think they're kick-ass
>>
>>54393660
It's a melee weapon that you can't use for polearm master or GWM.
>But it's a dex weapon you can use at range!
And so is hand crossbow. This one benefits from Sharpshooter, by the way.
>>
>>54392801
The joke is bad, therefore I ask a serious question: a natural 20 on a skill check isn't an automatic success, is it? It wasn't in 3.5e and shouldn't be on in 5e either, right?
>>
>>54393660
Their damage is shit, that's why.
>>
>>54393680
A natural 20 isn't an automatic success on anything, except for an attack roll.
>>
File: camoc.jpg (117KB, 913x304px) Image search: [Google]
camoc.jpg
117KB, 913x304px
Is this (revised) artifact (less) retarded?
>>
>>54393660
Because they hate fun.
>>
>>54393680
No, it just means you rolled a 20.

You'd be surprised how often this gets used as bait.
>>
>>54393031
Dude, I agree. The unofficial stuff I've been seeing isn't quite doing what I would like to see either.
>>
>>54393680
Some DMs will say it's an auto-success. Those DMs are only half correct. Auto-successes are fine for things like picking locks and some skill checks, but auto-successes shouldn't be allowed if the action isn't reasonable.
>I roll to seduce the lunch
>NAT 20 LMAO
Don't allow this
>>
>>54393626
>Bugbear is good for the 13 strength
Are you implying making a dex barbarogue?
>>
>>54393550
They are actually just considered interchangeable phonemes. yay 100-level college linguistics course
>>
>>54393680
No of course not.

>I jump to moon
>NAT 20
>Woo
>>
>>54393715
>lunch
That'll teach me to phonepost. *lich
>>
>>54393680
My DM often allows good shit when we role nat 20 on skill checks. For example, when I tried to stabilize another PC with a healing kit and rolled a 20, he not only stabilized, but also got 1 hit point.
As long as it's reasonable, and not "I SAY THAT I'M THE KING", I don't know why nat 20 shouldn't lead to slightly better results.
>>
>>54393660
Damage is not very good, Rogues can kinda make it work, though its much better to just get a hand crossbow.

The Pugilist Homebrew makes them strong though!
>>
>>54393533
In function, I suppose. But want to roleplay his personality to be kind of smarmy, at least on the surface. I'm going to be talking as him with a cockney accent (british folklore-inspired halfling after all). It's a little weird and not what you'd think of with a ninja but I also wanted to stay away from the stereotypical quiet asian guy.

>>54393570
That's perfect. Simple and to the point.

>>54393652
Also an awesome idea. Our whole party is a band of misfits. It's me a shadow monk, a rogue, a bard, and maybe a ranger later.

Maybe I could become the rogue's partner in crime or something.
>>
>>54393715
>>54393740

I'm pretty sure there's a fetish for that.
>>
>>54393696
Wasn't it an automated success for saving throws in 3.5e as well? Maybe I just confuse things, though.

>>54393696
>>54393715
>>54393729
Ok, thanks for clarification. I just DMed my first 5e session and had an argument, that a nat20 won't allow him to succeed every skill check.
>>
>>54393643
So, yes you get sneak attack from firing into melee?
>>
>>54393723
It's a build that allows for incredibly high AC from the barbarians unarmored
>>
>>54393751
Yeah, I would always do this to. But mostly because in most occasion a natural 20 is indeed already a success and there is nothing wrong in putting some flavor in.

Although I did a big mistake when, as a reward for a natural 20 on a skill check, I told my PC the worth of a flail snails shell. Only after I allowed another player to find some eggs.

They spend half an evening building a pen for flail snails.
>>
>>54393818
Yes
>>
>>54393818

You get Sneak Attack under the conditions Sneak Attack specifies, which is to either attack with advantage or to attack a target while you have an ally next to them, barring disadvantage in either case.
>>
>>54393562
What kind of overall method did you have in mind? A sniper who picks his shots or a guy who peppers enemies from cover with a hail of arrows?
>>
>>54393786

Remember if an action is impossible, i.e even a 20 won't succeed, you don't let the player roll at all you just say the action fails/isn't possible. ( But ideally offer an alternative or some way they can put the odds in their favour if it's a reasonable request.)
>>
>>54393704
I floated the idea of a 2e Dark Sun game to my group and they honestly didn't see the point of swapping systems for a setting when general feudal European high fantasy serves its purpose. They would do it if there was a 5e sourcebook. I follow two conversion projects and they're both barely playable, literally "here are your races, some settings tweaks for classes, and a barebones equipment list." One of these projects has been running since 2014, so what are my chances of converting the material in a reasonable amount of time while running a game and working a job?
>>
>>54393786
>I just DMed my first 5e session and had an argument, that a nat20 won't allow him to succeed every skill check.
aka Critical Role syndrome
>>
File: Screenshot_20170718-171236.jpg (338KB, 934x569px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170718-171236.jpg
338KB, 934x569px
There's a god of monsters and murder in my setting. According to lore, monsters grow from his mouth like teeth and he throws them down into the material plane when they fall out.

Every god in this setting has a legendary item crafted by them that can be used by mortal folk to spread their whim. Does this one sound good?
>>
>>54393680
I had a DM allow for crit successes and failures on skill checks since he really wanted to have stupid memorable funny moments in his adventure. Here's some moments from his adventure in green-text form:

>An NPC and the fighter are having a discussion regarding the slave trade in town.
>PC tries to convince the NPC to give up trying to help the slaves, and give the one's she's stealing to the party.
>"Roll for Persuasion."
>Fighter gets a Nat 20
>"I'm not roleplaying against her character, guys..."

>The party kills the corrupt mayor in town---decapitated in his own home. The party exits his manor to be greeted by every town guard at the door.
>The barbarian throws the mayor's head at the crowd and threatens to give them the same treatment.
>"Give me an Intimidation check
>Nat 20
>"Uh...the people in the front are startled but regain their composure. They aren't backing down."

>Much later, in a different city, the entire party is in prison due to an altercation between the barbarian and a town guard.
>Barbarian rages and attempts to bend the iron bars so he may escape.
>"Strength check."
>Nat 20
>"You don't bend the bars."

Of course, if we got a Nat 1 on a Perception check to see something inconspicuous 10ft ahead we were temporarily blinded.

My absolute favorite:
>Barbarian charges at a monstrous tree enemy and attacks. Barb was focused on doing charging attacks due to feat.
>Rolls to attack. Nat 20.
>Deals 20 damage at level 1. Not bad.
>"Hold on."
>DM tells us he had to fix the monster's HP since he didn't want it to be too easy. He gave him 25HP.
>Barbarian hit the creature so hard it gained 5 HP.
>That fight went on for an hour.
>>
>>54394076
Honestly, it looks like the DM had a stupid notion, but enough brains to not actually obey his own dumbass ruling. He just never should have allowed for crits in the first place.
That said, he has a LOT to learn. There's nothing wrong with adjusting monster HP mid-fight, but for fuck's sake, you don't TELL YOUR PLAYERS. That destroys any notion of credibility you have with them.
Also, your barbarian is That Guy.
>>
>>54393660

Because Wizards refuses to make tripping/lasso-grappling/disarming at range with them RAW.

I have a lot of house rules about whips and the cool shit you can do with them just because there's literally no reason to use them otherwise. I let people make advantageous Intimidation checks against beasts with it, too, because of the whole lion tamer thing.
>>
>>54394076
I like to make a bit of misfortune happen on critical fails.
"Roll a perception check"
>1
"Two small stalactites fall from the ceiling and hit you in the eyes. You're temporarily blinded"
>>
File: 4ac (1).jpg (87KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
4ac (1).jpg
87KB, 621x621px
>>54394076
>>
>>54393680
Auto-success: no. If the check is impossible for the character with a roll of 20+modifier I don't let them roll. This is because in the beginning I tried being a fun guy who gave his players their Nat 20 greentexts. It eventually turned into the players self-moderating and throwing dice before I called for a check, or everyone rolling on every investigate check because they had a 5% chance of success with added hijinks.

Now, if they roll a 20 and their check would succeed on a 16 or lower, I give them the option of narrating and everything that they narrate (within reason) is canon. This is also somewhat flawed because some of my players are shit at improv and feel like they don't get the same mileage out of their 20s. So our rogue might disable a trap and then reset it for the party's persuers, but the barbarian "I dunno, just kicks in the door."
>>
>>54393660

Its REALLY hard to justify using them.

Rogues would enjoy using them, but they're not proficient in them and can get better damage from hand-crossbows.

Monks wouldn't mind the low damage, but whips are martial weapons, so you'd need to be a Kensai Monk to increase its damage through Martial Arts.

Previous editions allowed you to make trip attacks and gave you boni to disarming enemies with whips, which made them at least debatably useful for those kinds of maneuvers.

That said, I did play a Beastmaster Ranger who used a whip and had a lot of fun with it. He was a travelling carny-sort, so the whip was more flavor than function, but after level three my pet was eating my attack action anyways.
>>
>>54393786
I disagree with what several other people said, sometimes you do let the player roll and not be able to succeed. It can be done for a number of reasons, but particularly in situations where they have no idea how difficult it may be until they try it. In such a case it ads immersion.

Other reasons can be degree of failure
>you don't know anything specific about X topic, but it does remind you of Y in some ways
>You've seen the form of the creature before, depicted in various artwork, though you don't know its real capabilities

I just make sure that my players know that they get one roll in a given circumstance, and that roll is the one that counts until a situation changes. The whole party doesn't roll to see if they can do something, the most capable does, with advantage if its something the others can help with.

I also sometimes split knowledge based rolls, the cleric can roll religion while the wizard rolls arcana to see if they recognize an obscure monster from mythology/lore.
>>
File: 1474291668706.png (77KB, 491x541px) Image search: [Google]
1474291668706.png
77KB, 491x541px
>someone mentions a setting in a previous thread
>look it up
>first result is roll20 wiki about the author of the setting
>"Pronouns: ze/zir/them"
>>
>>54393660
>>54394392
Paladins are the only class that specifically gets much out of whips. The low damage is relevant, thanks to extra attack, but having a longer ranged smite can matter. It's generally better to polearm, but a sidearm whip isn't a bad idea for any paladin, especially a dex one.
>>
I'm a bit confused about True Polymorph.
I see people saying that they have polymorphed into a Ancient Dragon, but wouldn't that mean that their level would have to equal the Challenge Rating of that Dragon?
>>
>>54394474
yes, there are some ancient dragons with CR 20 or lower.
>>
>>54394438
Zezirthem sounds like a decent name for a Wizard
>>
File: IMG_0493.png (413KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0493.png
413KB, 1242x2208px
>>54393426
>stealth archery
>immediately jumps to skyrim
Are you the guy that threw an autistic fit over an anon's daggerfall homebrew a few threads ago?
>>
>>54394438
>list ze/zir when they could've just gone with they/them
At least they're not plantself or starkin I guess. Steal their shit and use it in your own game either way.
>>
>>54394438
So? Roman Polanski diddled kids; the Pianist is still a good film. Hate the person, not the work.

What setting?
>>
>>54394496
>True Polymorph into Ancient Brass Dragon
>Use Disguise Self
>You are now an Ancient Gold Dragon
>>
>>54394508
fuck that dude man
>>
>>54394535

>Raping kids is seen as good on 4chan
>An adult making a consensual choice as to what their gender is is seen as degenerate.
>>
File: WonderWoman.jpg (20KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
WonderWoman.jpg
20KB, 181x279px
>>54394451

Huh. I never thought of that idea. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I roll a paladin. Probably something like pic-related, flavorwise.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>54394635
Actually I think the opposite, I was just catering my response to the kind of person who would make the sort of post I responded to.
>>
>>54394635
>caring who made something that you enjoyed
>making up a new gender every week so you can get more reblogs on tumblr
>>
File: 1493736893810.jpg (47KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
1493736893810.jpg
47KB, 361x361px
>>54393433
triggered just a little bit by new season
stop watching at ep3 for masterpiece
>>
My PCs reached lvl 4, and I'm giving them both IAS and a feat.
They are not the min-maxing type.

Am I going to regret this?
Seems like offering them more choices can't be a bad thing.
>>
Here is the fix for PDK

>RALLYING CRY
When you use your Second Wind feature, every allied creature of your choice within 60 feet of you also regains the same hit points, provided that the creature can see or hear you. In addition, you and all the affected creatures gain resistance to all damage until the end of your next turn.

>ROYAL ENVOY

At 7th level, you gain proficiency in the Persuasion skill and one other skill from Animal Handling, Insight, Intimidation, or Performance. If you are already proficient in Persuasion you may choose another from the list. If you are already proficient in all these skills you may select any two skills.

Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Persuasion and one other from Animal Handling, Insight, Intimidation or Performance. You receive this benefit regardless of the skill proficiency you gain from this feature.

>Inspiring Surge
Starting at 10th level, when you use your Action Surge feature, you can choose another allied creature within 60 feet. That creature can immediately use an Action of it's choice.
Starting at 17th level, you can choose two allied creatures instead of one.

>BULWARK
Beginning at 15th level, you can extend the benefit of your Indomitable feature to your allies, You can choose any number of allied creatures within 60 feet of you that failed its saving throw against an effect and use your Indomitable feature. If that creature can see or hear you, it can reroll its saving throw with advantage and must use the new roll. When you use your Indomitable feature to re roll a failed save of your own, you can also extend the benefit to other allies within 60 feet of you that can see and hear you and if you are not incapacitated.

h8 & r8
>>
>>54394635
no one said they supported his actions or even the dude. you are completely missing his point, GOOFBALL.
>>
>>54394681
Did you also let your players give you a nice bit of reach around as they anally pounded you?

Choices are good after all.
>>
>>54393786
Correct; in 3.5, a natural 1/20 was an automatic failure/success on saving throws as well.
>>
>>54394681
If you ramp the difficulty up a bit it should be fine
>>
>>54394635
Well...yeah, what did you expect?
>>
>>54393723
>le barbarogue
Oh my god stop with the barbarogues already. A dex barbarogue would remove both reasons to play one - adding Rage damage and sneak attack together, and expertise in Athletics.
>>
>>54394710
Are you genuinely trying to make a point or are you just shitposting?
>>
>>54394681
Have fun with 5 players with Alert or, worse, Lucky
>>
>>54394712
I think I'm fine with that. I just hate the "LOL NAT 20 ON MY PERSUASION ROLL" shit
>>
>>54394786
Oh yeah I forgot to say that I've excluded Lucky from the list.
As I said they're not the min-maxing type so I don't think they'll all pick the same dumb shit or anything.
>>
How long would it take to complete storm king's thunder in 2 hour sessions
>>
>>54393680
There's nothing wrong with house ruling in Nat20's auto succeed. There's also a lot of stuff where you shouldn't be attempting skill checks to begin with. Dice are for conflict resolution when there's a chance of success or fail (and dramatic/narrative need of uncertainty), not for turning every situation into a 5% chance for epic memes.

>'no, you can't leap to the moon. Don't even pick up the dice, there is zero possibility.'
>>
>>54394798

Persuasion needs to be an actual trade.

The party need to be able to offer something as leverage in exchange for whatever they want and whatever they offer, as well as the relationship with the person they're talking to is what should inform the DC value.

You shouldn't just be able to say what you want and get it with a lucky roll at no cost.
>>
>>54394681

Depends on what they take.

If they all reach for things that bump their stats further (Resilient X, Observant, Keen Mind, etc) or the more powerful feats (Alert, PAM, GWM, CBE, Sharpshooter, Lucky) then you might have to ramp up the difficulty.

If they truly aren't min-maxing and take other feats, you'll probably be fine.
>>
>>54394838
Cant jump further than yor movement anyways anon
>>
>>54394806
Depends on the party. It took my 6 man level 10 party 6 hours to complete White Plume because they're FUCKING RETARDED.

YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING 5E SINCE IT CAME OUT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOUR BASIC CLASS FEATURES ONCE EVERY 15 MINUTES REEEEEEE
>>
Are bardbarians viable? Or is straight valor bard the only way to play a proper skald?

>>54394838
This. If a 20 can't succeed, the DM shouldn't even ask for a roll.
>>
>>54394806
How are you getting any amount of playing done in 2 hours? It takes me ~45 minutes to get my players to settle down and combat is 3 hours of umm-ing and ah-ing over what to do.
>>
>>54394882
Don't play with children?

Our sessions are 3 hours and we get plenty done.
>>
>>54394132
The DM does have more to learn. The crit success/failure thing was annoying, but his biggest mistake was forcing the party to focus on a different hook. The party was caught up in a plot to destroy the slave trade in a city, but he wanted the group to push the group into some war with the dragonborn. None of the players cared about what was going on after that point. The group eventually fell apart due to a lack of interest.

>>54394178
I don't mind me some jokes, but for him is was like "You're blinded---enemies have advantage on attacks against you."

>>54394231
I felt like that sometimes.
>>
>>54394876
Honestly, for a Bardbarian I'd go Swords Bard. They get to buff themselves while Raging with their inspiration dice which is rad.

It's viable, just probably on the weaker side. Still good fun. Barbarian 2/Bard X is probably your best bet, 2 level in Barbarian gives you all the best shit.

Another option for going full Skald would be a Fighter/Bard. If you went that option then maybe a Samurai refluffed would be a good option?
>>
>>54394868
>I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOUR BASIC CLASS FEATURES
Shit like this pisses me off so much. There's a dickhead in my party that gets assblasted whenever someone calls him out when he uses one of his abilities incorrectly
>I'm new to D&D fuck off
How about you read your class features you dumb fuck. I wouldn't even be mad if he wasn't such a shithead about it
>>
>>54394882
I'm planning to hopefully do better than that, got rid of the one player who really took things off track
>>
>>54394876
1 or 3 points in Barbarian never hurt anybody.
I think Barbarian with a few levels in Bard could be fine too.

Problem with Bards is that they REALLY need you to max that Charisma in order to be fun.
Even if you pick non-DC spells, you still need it for Bardic Inspiration... especially if you don't dip enough into bard to get Font of Inspiration (bardic inspiration restored on a short rest)

I think I'd go Barbarian 1 -> Bard 3, and then I'd assess my party's needs.to decide which College and if going Barb5 is better.
But that's probably 'cuz I really couldn't resist putting levels into Bard.
Such a great fkn class.
>>
>>54394876
>This. If a 20 can't succeed, the DM shouldn't even ask for a roll.
>Players should always have perfect knowledge of their ability to succeed
>>
>>54393038
Are wendigos a real 5e enemy? My first experience with them was Until Dawn since it was free this month.
>>
>>54394959
Wendigos are a real north american mythological creature.
>>
>>54394868
Been playing for 6 months and I'm more competent than those retards, I'm even starting to do some DMing,l
>>
>>54394959
This was back in 3.5E-era.
Thankfully I haven't had that many bad experiences despite having some 14 years of RP under my belt because I'm pretty picky with the folks I play with - and thankfully so is the DM I've favored the last 9 years.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wendigo_(3.5e_Template)
>>
>>54394959
Yes, wendigos exist in 5e. Or were those yetis?
>>
>>54394976
Unfortunately not. Probably a homebrew creature
>>
>>54394913
I need to move as the only place I can find players is the university's LARP group. Every one of them considers 'on time' to mean 'within a half hour of the stated time' and there's an obligatory 15-30 minutes of talking about their epic LARP downtimes before play begins, which has to happen all over again if one player arrives after the discussion has taken place. I own the only PHB in a group of 7 and they each wait for their turn to pick up the book and flip through their options. You'd think that someone would invent a handy A4-sized sheet of paper that contains their character's stats, and has room for them to make notes about their powers/feats.
>>
>>54394958
If something is clearly, obviously impossible ("I use Persuasion to make the king to give me all his gold") then tell the player to fuck off and stop wasting time.

If it's borderline impossible, then let them roll.
>>
>>54394508
Thanks for capping the post, I was hoping to make a pasta out of it.
>>
>>54394876
Barbarian doesn't mesh well with magic, especially not full caster classes like Bard.
>>
File: b49.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>54395052
>>
>>54394925
I swear to god our bard has zero initiative. I've never seen them use anything beyond healing word or vicious mockery, not their bardic inspiration, and they never come to the front in social situations.

I thought I'd be okay playing a 'roll to hit, end turn' martial since there'd be other guys throwing cool effects around but nope.

Rest of the party is a barbarian, the bard mentioned, rogue and cleric who rarely show up, and a sorcerer who died so he rerolled a champion fighter.

Did... Did we stumble into the most boring 5e party buildable?
>>
>>54395106
Considering they only get to Rage twice per day for most multiclasses, it's not as bad as you think. The Rage is basically a concentration spell at that point, one that buffs your weapon attacks and defence a lot.

People never even consider Barbarian/Magic multiclasses when they work much better then people expect.
>>
>>54395128
Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
>>
>>54394635
No, raping kids is degenerate. Choosing your gender is stupid.
>>
Have you guys found it's better to start a character at level 1, or to bump them up to the other players levels when letting someone join mid-campaign?
>>
>>54395106
>not full caster classes like Bard
what the hell are you on
>>
>>54392801
>When was the last time a PC ruined your night? >How did they do it?

About a year ago one of the girls in the gaming group convinced everyone else (5 people total) not to play DnD that night because she was feeling sick of it. This was about 2 hours before the session would have started. I'd already prepared everything for that night. Luckily we ended up just dropping her from the group for later sessions.
>>
>>54395163
What level are the other players at? If the class difference is too high, the L1 guy is going to be useless or the other players are going to be bored.
>>
>>54395163
I use milestones, so everyone is always at the same level. If someone joins mid-campaign, or a character dies, the new character joins at the same level everyone else is.
>>
>>54394691
I r8 8/8 its in a gr8 st8 m8

Also change the name of Royal Envoy to Regal/Noble Envoy. It keeps the overall expected conduct of the character without forcing you to be sent by an actual king or queen.
>>
>>54395128
i dont know whats wrong with bard players
they're all terrible and dont seem to understand how amazing the class is

it would only make me sad if half of them werent doing the IM A BARD GNOME XD and a bunch of retarded sexual jokes to go with
>>
>>54395169
Did... she propose an alternative or just 'nah, 'm bored - so nobody else should play either'? Like not even 'DM, play my char tonight I'm not feeling it'?
>>
>>54394958
Once they roll a 20 and fail, they'll be justified in asking you why you had them roll in the first place. Sometimes it's okay to say "you try and fail."

>>54395150
OK, I'm sold.
>>
>>54395113
And the bard shouts "Yodelayheehoo!" whenever he performs using his instrument: his voice. At least one other player finds this hilarious every single time.
>>
>>54395150
>Rage is basically a concentration spell
That's actually a really interesting way to think about it. I might need to reconsider things
>>
>>54395195
All the current players just reached level 3
>>
>>54395211
Yarp.

>Statistically, 5% of all rolls fail (with a natural 1), which makes
sense in isolated situations — especially dire, desperate ones. It
breaks down a bit in relatively harmless situations, however,
when the characters should be largely immune to misfortune.
Fortunately, there’s a simple answer: don’t make them roll unless
failure will mean something. For example, if the characters have
lots of time and can simply retry a skill check, there’s no reason
to roll (they’ll just try again, probably without penalty).

>The watchwords here are “risk” and “consequence” — rolling
without either is a pointless waste of time. What constitutes
“risk” and “consequence” is entirely up to you. A character might
not have to Impress a current lover to receive help, but a spurned
former lover is another thing altogether (there’s a risk of being
turned away). If that lover’s also sleeping with the sheriff, there’s
consequence too.

>Keep your eyes peeled for “dice fatigue.” Excessive die rolling
can bog the game down, particularly when most of the characters
are highly skilled and most of the checks are unopposed (a recipe
for constant success, and lots of meaningless rolls). In these cases,
you might want to let any character whose total bonus exceeds
a DC succeed without rolling. As an example, let’s say the party
is scrambling across a narrow beam over a pit (Acrobatics DC
15). If the characters’ Acrobatics bonuses are +18, +15, and +5,
you might only make the third character roll as he’s the only one
with a reasonable chance to fail. Table 7.21: Chance of Success is
your best friend when making these kinds of calls on the fly (see
page 370).
>>
>>54395165
As opposed to half-casters like Paladin or one-third casters like Eldritch Knight
>>
>>54395205
Yeah, we played smash bros. It was alright, but I enjoy DnD more. The annoying thing was having this go down 2 hours before the session. I spend a decent chunk of time in the week preparing things for the campaign, and I put off other things to do it. Had I known a reasonable amount of time beforehand that she wasn't feeling it, I could have done other things that week.
>>
>>54395163
Nobody should ever be more than a session or two away from the rest of the party.

Bounded accuracy be damned, my experience has shown that lower levels don't have the HP or features to really contribute. If you're just gonna be hiding in the corner throwing cantrips or shanking a weak guy before you get one-hit-dropped, just stay home and watch a movie, we can roll dice for you.
>>
>>54394691
rallying cry seems too strong to me. limiting the number of targets to 3 (like bless) would be a step in the right direction i think

royal envoy expertise is unnecessary i think. just give double proficiency on charisma checks with nobility (a bit like dragon sorcerers have with dragons)

inspiring surge i'd limit the actions that can be taken (like Haste does).

bulwark is okay but it's a bit weird to have it roll with advantage + use the new roll.

i wish there was a way to incorporate some kind of "5 feet movement on a reaction without triggering attacks of opportunity" on a friendly creature as well, but i can't see how or when
>>
A druid in my campaign wants to go circle of the land and I want the biome she joins to be the same one where she is initiated into the circle rather than where she first became a druid because I think it makes more sense and is more interesting.
She is going to join a circle in a rainforest and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what spells she could get outside of me just mashing coastal and swamp spell lists together.
>>
Is chain shirt over scale mail or breastplate over half plate ever worth it for the normal stealth over +1 AC?
>>
Can you cast instantaneous spells like Fireball while concentrating on something else?
>>
>>54395337
Mm, I dunno. Bog-walking? (Reflavored Tree-walk)
>>
>>54395226
I usually start my players off at 3rd anyway, since most classes at that point have their archetype and are starting to starting to settle into their role.
>>
>>54395342
If you're the party's dedicated scout, then yeah.
>>
>>54395201
>joke class bards
I despise these with a passion. I love and play bard rather often, and never do them as a comedy first character. Most of the time they are refined nobles or just poor dudes trying to use what skill they learned on the street and then realizing "oh shit this magic is fucking great" but the "bard seduction" meme is the worst thing in existence.
>>
>>54394691
>>54395199
also question for you guys since PDK seems to be something you enjoy

what's the appeal of the class? everytime i look at it, official version or not, i cant seem to understand why anyone would prefer that over the battlemaster's flexibility.
do they have a super good theme? prestigious nobility / royal guards?
>>
>>54395337
>Homebrew Druid circles
Abandon ship
>>
>>54394674
>using tumblr
>>
>>54395400
There are some pretty kickass ones out there. I like the cthulu one.
>>
>>54395201
If you're charisma was 20 would you not be fucking women like crazy
>>
>>54395337
How does the player feel? Forcing a player's hand on class features doesn't sound like it'd go down too well.

Actually answering the question: go for the unexpected and play with the recycling/decay aspect of rainforests, all that ground-level mulch, army ants eating entire birds and whatever. What sort of spells exist about rapid growth, possibly at the expense of other things' lives? I'm not a 5e expert so what stuff siphons health, spawns entangling, strangling vines, summons insect swarms, etc.
>>
Converting Warlock to Spell Points, should I just make it a 1:1 conversion or make it increase by x amount per level independent of the current spell slot/level setup?
>>
>>54395404
>tumblr
>>
>>54395413
Why not just play GOOlock
>>
>>54395434
What are spell points
>>
File: read the phb.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
read the phb.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>54395355
No, while maintaining a Concentration spell all casters can do to contribute in combat is use the Help action.
>>
>>54395437
Last I remember, the cthulu druid let you turn into abberations. Or something like that. It offered something that neither warlock or the regular druid do.

Also, it was made by someone here. Maybe they'll repost it if they notice this.
>>
>>54395355
Yes.
>>
File: sad guts.png (718KB, 1000x1016px) Image search: [Google]
sad guts.png
718KB, 1000x1016px
>only get to play like once a month
>dm is lazy
>fellow party members keep flaking out and blaming it all on the dm
>I'm the only one to consistently show up because I'm the host
What do I do? I want to play so badly but I don't want to play with a bunch of randoms.
>>
>>54395471
Thats fucking dumb
I love it
>>
>>54395464
How Mystic works but renamed to Psi Points.

It's in the DMG.
>>
File: readtherules.png (416KB, 576x293px) Image search: [Google]
readtherules.png
416KB, 576x293px
>>54395466
You should consult your own picture, then consult mine.

>>54395355
Yes.
>>
>>54395482
Everyone's random until you've met them.
If your group sucks: Get a new group.
>>
>>54395466
Sarcasm noted.

In that case, >>54395150 is totally wrong to think of rage as a concentration spell. It's much more prohibitive than just occupying a concentration slot.
>>
File: IMG_1725.jpg (25KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1725.jpg
25KB, 500x461px
>>54395482
Do it faggot
>>
>>54395513
Additionally: Can't find a new group?
Make one.
>>
>>54395243
Can you teach me how to get a +18 in acrobatics
>>
I'm playing a Kara-Tur Cleric following The Way. I decided to make him True Neutral as a result, and follow the Knowledge Domain.
All the Kara-Tur stuff is quite out of date at this point, they didn't really expand on the setting much since 3rd edition.

So to get to my point does anyone have any experience or tips or good resources for The Way or should I just read about Buddha?
>>
File: Berk_L17.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Berk_L17.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54395548
Step one: Play FantasyCraft.
>>
>>54395466
You ruin a perfectly good picture by using it when you're wrong.

>>54395513
I met a group through r/lfg that I played with for something like a year. Sometimes, strangers stop being that.
>>
>>54395548
>20 dex
>Expertise
>Level 17+
Gives a +17 to Acrobatics, and It's not strange to think that at level 17 you could have an item tha gives +1 to Ability Checks.
>>
>>54394925
>I use Turn undead!
>You dont have that feature, you picked vengeance Paladin
>but I am a Paladin, how can I not have turn undead?

>I cast magic missiles on their mage
>He is hiding out of sight, you can't see him
>That's okay, I just bounce it off a wall to hit him anyway!
>what do you mean I cant do that?!

>I wildshape into an Orc and walk up to the Orc mercenaries
>You can't wildshape into a humanoid
>Why not?

>I smite with my bow
>You you can't do that, melee weapons only
>Oh okay, I fire my spare shortsword from my bow then.

>So, when does my druid get a bear pet?
>>
>>54395577
What the fuck am I looking at
>>
>>54395599
Manual of quickness of action
>>
>>54395548
Sure thing bb. Meet me at midnight behind the Nag's Head tavern in Waterdeep.

Bring 50' silken rope and a candle.
>>
>>54393701
Yes, that works better.

Though seriously, who would trust some faggot demon?
>>
>>54395612
A FantasyCraft character sheet. The character I'm presently playing in a FC game with a crap-ton of homebrew races, feats, and house rules.

The stuff I quoted came from the World section of the FantasyCraft book.
>>
>>54395482
roll20 aint so bad if you sift your applications a bit
>>
>>54395216
Could be worse. I used to have a player that would sing soft kitty every time they healed
>>
>>54395760
do they yell bazinga when they cast attacks?
>>
>>54395760
>soft kitty
I don't get this meme
>>
>>54395482
>>54395721
Have them write a backstory and a 250 word write-up of an RP scene they played.
>>
>>54395760
>would sing soft kitty
Why are you friends with somebody that enjoys the blackface of nerd culture?
>>
File: Mask.png (63KB, 298x415px) Image search: [Google]
Mask.png
63KB, 298x415px
Homebrew cursed mask! Thoughts?
>>
For what reasons would a stereotypical adventurer's guild exist? I was thinking of playing it off as a business in itself. Perhaps it's a semi-archaeological thing. Maybe they're paid for bringing in artifacts of a sorts, or act as a mercenary force if needed be.
What do you think?
>>
>>54395788
>nerd culture
>>
>>54395794
Being blind is seriously, seriously bad unless you have something special, and even with, say, rogue's blindsight it's still pretty damn limiting.
>>
>>54395773
It's a song from The Big Bang Theory that is sung to someone when they are ill
>>
>>54394868
My players don't even know where you add proficiency or not

>I add proficiency to my damage, right?

>Rogues deal too much damage, my character can't compete!
>*spend the entire session without raging even once*
>>
>>54395815
Nigga u on /tg/ you kust know all about nerd culture
>>
>>54395912
I enjoy rolling dice and putting paper in sleeves as much as the next guy, but it's not culture.
>>
>>54395880
>Rogues deal too much damage, my character can't compete!
To be fair, I have had games where circumstances just gave the Rogue sneak attack every single turn, and no one else was optimised enough to actually outdamage the Rogue.

I don't see why it would be a problem though.
>>
Is there a wizard experimenting with people or something similar in any of the published adventures?
>>
File: IMG_1729.jpg (42KB, 706x337px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1729.jpg
42KB, 706x337px
>>54395967
Name me one meme from a video/tabletop game and tell me that there isn't a nerd culture
>>
So, cbe rogue, yay/nay?

I want a super slippery hand crossbow guy who just kites around forever without ever being stuck in melee.
>>
File: I have a question.jpg (11KB, 296x320px) Image search: [Google]
I have a question.jpg
11KB, 296x320px
If you multiclass as a Wizard / $otherCaster, can you inscribe $otherCaster spells in your spellbook? For the appropriate cost, of course.
>>
>>54395511
>>54395587

see >>54395529

And the only useful thing a magic class would get out of Barbarian is Reckless Attack, as Rage becomes a dubious buff for a gish when it suppresses other things you could be using like Booming Blade, Shield, Bless, or casting combat utility.

Is it worth taking 2 levels of Barbarian for Reckless Attack on a gish? For EK, maybe? Can't think of anyone else.
>>
>>54396022
No.
>>
>>54396022
No.

Only warlocks get to gouge others spells like that.
>>
>>54395970
Same, DM asked me if I thought rogues had too much damage once, the thing is, as I said to him, every fucking fighter in the group played sword & board, sometimes even with defensive style instead of duelist, of course they will deal less damage. Also
>Barbarian never enters rage
>>
>>54395970
Rogues are *supposed* to Sneak Attack every single turn.
>>
>>54396058
That doesn't always happen though. It still has requirements.
>>
>>54393402
Samefag here.

So it seems that if I do anything stealthily, I would need to be a Rogue and if I go Fighter then I'll get a shitload more damage apparently. I'm leaning toward the latter because it seems more practical overall but are there any alternative suggestions for a playstyle? I guess I can do typical 'shoot things from far away' and be simple.
>>
>>54396084
>if I do anything stealthily, I would need to be a Rogue
What makes you think that? Rogues aren't even the best class in the game for stealth. Any class can make a stealth roll
>>
why are all of your characters/parties so fucking cliche and uninspired?
>>
>>54396036
>>54396041
Alright, I didn't think so. Was trying to recreate a character in OrcPub2 and it won't let me pick all of my spells because it thinks I know some of them already.
>>
>>54396113
>Rogues aren't even the best class in the game for stealth.
Yes they are.
>>
>>54396125
Because every class is an archetype in itself, many people will do the stealth Rogue and the lawful good Paladin.
>>
>>54396083
Requirements that are trivially easy to fulfill unless you're playing solo.

Really, the most common obstacle you could run into is your initiative going while there are no valid Sneak Attack targets, so you just set up and use the Ready action to attack with the condition of the enemy moving into melee with an ally or an ally moving into melee with the enemy.

This discussion is on the level of arguing that Fighters don't *technically* get to attack every turn because sometimes they need to Dash.
>>
>>54396044
The sad thing is a rogue barely keeps up with sword and board at level 5+ unless they use scag cantrips or feats
>>
>>54396160
What is a Bard?

What is a Druid?
>>
>>54396113
But what about bonuses for attacking out of stealth/hiding? I reckon it's the same thing really.
>>
>>54396160
>bards
>shadow monks
>druid -> wild shape -> rat
>rogues don't get anything helpful to stealth other than expertise and supreme sneak
>>
>>54392801
>Original Content Edition
Oh fine.

I wrote a Monster Menu-All for D&D. It's deadly, but stuff will give you extra powers. And some monsters are just delicious
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/monster-menu-all-part-1-eating-ad.html
>>
>>54396245
Sure, if you aren't a rogue you don't get sneak attack damage but sneak attack is far from mandatory. If you're in stealth your dm should give you advantage on the attack regardless of your class
>>
>>54396275
Alright fair enough. So I can just remain with my original plan, wonderful.
>>
>>54396250
They also get reliable talent which means you are never getting below a 24 if you have +5 dex and expertise
>>
>>54396160
if you don't have magic you're not the "best" at anything
>>
>>54396160
>Rangers, shadow monks and druids get pass without trace for +10 to the entire party's stealth checks
>>
>>54396200
Two attacks of 1d8+7 are not that much higher than 4d6+5
>>
>>54392801
A player wants to run the Matt Mercer's gunslinger in my buddy's game. Is it balanced? I've heard it isn't.
>>
>>54395201
>I seduce the king xD
This needs to stop
>>
>>54396268

Brilliant. Thank you Anon.
>>
>>54396533

I'm curious too. Is it OP, or shit?
>>
>>54396268
Oi Skerples, when will you release your rewrite of the GLoG?
>>
File: Ycll2r4.png (192KB, 745x883px) Image search: [Google]
Ycll2r4.png
192KB, 745x883px
>>54393660
A player of mine in CoS really wanted to use a whip because castlevania. Everyone else was either a full caster or a power attacker, so I quickly whipped up this 100% original (copyright me) homebrew feat to put him more on par with everyone else.

It ended up working really well.
>>
>>54396305
>Have to wait until level 11 for reliable talent
>Only helps you not roll shit, doesn't help you roll exceedingly well
>Anyone else can get expertise in stealth with a single level dip of rogue or using the feats that give expertise
>You can only stealth yourself well, you can't stealth your entire team
>Bards, Druids, Clerics etc have buffs such as guidance or bardic inspiration to help less stealthy party members not fuck up your stealth
>Some casters have spells such as silence that mean you literally cannot fail stealth whatsoever considering most stealth checks are to remain silent
>Casters/shadow/druids monks can teleport past places or use wildshape that you could never stealth past without some sort of set up
>Casters can just fly in through the roof without having to worry about climbing up there silently or going through the whole building
>Casters can disguise self / alter self / whatever
>Casters can alter memories so a guard never remembers them being there
>Casters can cast a 'sleep' spell so they they don't have to kill someone to get past a guard
>>
The DM of the Game I play made a rule that the rouge does not have a stealth attack when within five feet of an allie.
Our rouge must pass a stealth check and be behind the enemy to gain a stealth attack.
This is our first game in 5e we have all played 2nd for a while.
Just wondering if you guys think this was a good call.
>>
File: Eldritch Rapier Awoken.png (272KB, 546x509px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Rapier Awoken.png
272KB, 546x509px
>>54395839
Rate this item for me, it's supposed to be magic Darkness + Devil Sightish. With a bloodlust feature.
>>
>>54396645
abandon ship
>>
File: The Helmed Champion v 1.2.pdf (687KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Helmed Champion v 1.2.pdf
687KB, 1x1px
I posted this once a while back, but if we're talking Original Content, here's an upgraded Helmed Horror I designed. I was thinking of refluffing/redesigning it for Tomb of Annihilation. Would love more feedback.
>>
>>54396655
DM made the call early in the game because our rouge was was getting the stealth attack basically every attack while the monk and fighter were attacking once.
Our rouge doesn't really play very well so we kinda just write her off anyway.
>>
>>54396125
R8 my CoS party:

>Half-Orc Paladin of Vengeance (LE)
After his tribe was wiped out by knights and the survivors scattered, he swore vengeance upon the human race and pledged to reunite and rebuild his tribe. Carries a banner of the flayed faces of his vanquished foes.

>Ghostwise Halfling Sun Soul Monk (CN)
Quiet to the point that he rarely speaks, except with telepathy. Seems to have an affinity for shiny treasures and would rather hide than fight in most cases. Is most likely hiding from someone (or thing), and seems very disturbed by the persistent twilight of Barovia.

>Half-Elf GOO/Tome Warlock (CN)
Born to a Noble family as the black sheep (half human), she was expected to become a studious student of wizardry as is the family tradition. Instead, always picked on and belittled by her elder sister, she struck a pact with god knows what for her magical abilities, freeing her to enjoy her hedonistic tendencies.

>High Elf Divination Wizard / Knowledge Cleric (LG)
Arrived recently to extract her little sister from yet another set of typically poor choices. Is both protective and extremely critical of her younger sibling. Tends to be overly confident (though not boastful) in her own abilities, and is curious to a fault.

>Lightfoot Halfling Deep Stalker Ranger / Fighter (TN)
A hunter and explorer by trade, she seeks to test herself against any great danger in the hopes of proving her worth and capability to her family and home, even if it means a glorious (or otherwise) death.

Bonus: Guess which fag I am
>>
>>54396687
Oh, I remember this! Thanks for updating it, I might have some use for this soon.
>>
>>54396703
It's the only thing that makes the class worth playing.

Did he gimp all the other classes?
>>
>>54394876
What about a contested strength check? You roll a 20, the troll rolls a 18, you lose because the troll has a higher strength modifier.
>>
>>54396703
Rogues never get more than 1 attack, their sneak attack ability is supposed to be how they keep up with damage.
>>
>>54396645
The sneak attack isn't about stealth, the idea is that, with an ally nearby the enemy, they will be distracted and the Rogue will be able to find a weak point to attack.
>>
>>54396645
I would kill my rogue and reroll. Your DM is a retard. Sneak Attack is not the same thing as Assassinate.

A rogue with sneak attack is still weaker than a normal Fighter.
>>
>>54396725
No just the rouge.

Now that we are all level 7 the rouge just stealth checks doors for us and gets away with it because she rolls fairly well. The fighter has 4 attacks and deals like 30-50 damage if he doesn't crit fail twice a turn which is not uncommon for him.
>>
>>54396649
By that wording it sounds like you'd still have disadvantage on attacks.
The fact that other creatures look like faceless shadows doesn't mean you can see them when you're blind. Especially because even if you didn't include the faceless shadows thing the player character would still know where enemies are.

Technically you're blinded twice and also can't see enemies, however.

Also, the mist could easily be blown away, in theory, but maybe that's a good thing.

A better but overly long winded wording would be: 'You are blinded by the mist, but gain shadowey visions of your enemies in the mist that allow you to see your enemies as faceless shadowey figures. As such, you do not suffer disadvantage from blindness against enemies in the mist nor do enemies in the mist have advantage against you.' ... And you won't have disadvantage from not seeing the enemy because it's stated you have shadowey visions.
This would mean that an attack against you from beyond the mist would have neither advantage nor disadvantage though.
>>
>>54396770
4 attacks???

Have any of you read the rulebook?
>>
>>54396703
Well, if the Monk isn't using his bonus action to do a extra unarmed strike with the Martial Arts maybe the problem is with them and not the Rogue.
>>
>>54396784
Sounds like either a group of retards or low effort bait to me.
>>
>>54392801
>DM keeps inserting his cuckold fetish into our games
>he thinks he's being subtle but isn't
Should I try to talk to him and if so how should I bring it up?
>>
>>54396755
>>54396754
>>54396752
Thanks for the advice the DM thinks that it doesn't fit well because if one v. two attackers the defender will still be able to defend a strike from a rouge unless out of sight.

>>54396784
Yea we get into the rules of the game every other turn it seems, but it doesn't help that we smoke a lot of weed when we play. He built his fighter around a feat I think using the dual weapons and I don't really remember his argument about using the extra attack on both hands.

>>54396831
Yea we get pretty high and things just don't seem right to me so thats why I'm here
>>
>>54396845
Cuck him.
>>
>>54396861
HOw can you cuck a lonely loser? Sleep with his waifu pillow?
>>
>>54396875
Cuck his waifu in-game.
Get another player to roll up his waifu with promises of pandering to the DM a lot and then proceed to steal waifu.
>>
>>54396776
Thank you. This is what I was going for. I'll fix it.
>>
>>54396858
Hear the words of wizards:
"Rogues rely chiefly on two features for both the class’s feel and its strength in combat: Sneak Attack and Cunning Action. These are fundamental to the rogue, and Uncanny Dodge at 5th level is almost their equal in importance to the class. Leave these features as is, unless you have a powerful reason for changing anything."
-http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes
>>
>>54392801
How would a Triton speak?
I like to do accents for my characters (pls no bully) and wanted help figuring out how they'd talk.

Right now I'm leaning towards a sort of Savannah, Georgia accent like the merpeople on Futurama.
>>
>>54396845
Can we get an example of what he's doing?
>>
>>54396776
>>54396926
Is there any shorter way to say this, without sounding super wordy? Or do I have to say it like that?
>>
>>54396991
I gave it a bit of thought and I think it could be simplified to:
>You are blind with regard to everything but creatures (Or creatures/enemies within mist if you want to limit it). Creatures appear as faceless, shadowey figures.
>>
>>54397028
Perfect!
>>
>>54396649
Wjy would you ever run your fingers through the star?
>>
>>54396928
Thanks I'll show this to the DM, but it won't really change much because our rouge doesn't really play the game.
>>
>Know all of these languages
>Except fuck you, the only languages that ever come up ingame are Elvish and, Infernal/Abyssal and Celestial,get fucked with your Halfling and Primordial and shit
>>
File: The Helmed Champion v1.3.pdf (687KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Helmed Champion v1.3.pdf
687KB, 1x1px
>>54396707

Thanks Anon, I just remembered I did another update after that!
>>
>>54397140
That's your DM's fault
>>
>>54397104
Advantage for 1 minute against other creatures unless they have devil's sight.
>>
>>54397140
Primordial and Sylvan have come up a lot in our game.
>>
>>54397140
>Learn some obscure language that'd never come up ever
>It never comes up
>Why won't you pander to me DM?

If you played up to 20 then yes, the DM should probably have a chance for every language at some point, but languages are a minor extra proficiency and 'comprehend languages' exists anyway, even as a ritual I recall.
>>
I want to make a character who self-mutilates for some reason. Don't really have anything but that idea.

Thoughts on reason and class to represent that?
>>
>>54397221
Sounds kind of edgy to be honest.
Play something like the Leper from Darkest Dungeon instead.
>>
>>54396268
This is actually really interesting. Does this appear as a physical book in-game or is it just for DM reference? A guide on what monsters to eat and what not to eat sounds handy for any group of adventurers.
>>
>>54397221
>my character produces blood too quickly and if I don't bleed enough I get unstoppable nosebleeds
>>
>>54397221
Cleric of Ilmater.
>>
Is poison at all possible in 5e or is it garbage like it is in every other edition?
>>
File: IMG_0786.png (10KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0786.png
10KB, 211x238px
>>54396893
ABsolutely devilish goyim
>>
>>54397287
It's very weak, but your DM might cut you some slack.
>>
>>54397287
It's shit. Takes too long to make, costs too much, and doesn't do much unless it inflicts the poisoned ailment. Requires homebrew to be effective
>>
>>54397221
Some savage, who scares himself instead tattooing? He mark his deed, people dear to him into his skin, so he will never forget them and wears them proudly.
>>
File: Eldritch Rapier Exalted.png (278KB, 513x490px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Rapier Exalted.png
278KB, 513x490px
>>54397261
>>54397028
>>54397104
That was the old version my bad.
>>
>>54396704
all awful and no humans/10
>>
>>54397221
Could play a refluffed Zealot Barbarian.

Basically you were originally part of some insane cult that worshiped a dragon or something, and you went through a ritual to gain power from it's blood. Unlike spellcasters who gain power from that, yours is also combined with martial power.

So now when you're in battle, the more danger and pain you bring upon yourself the more confident you feel. While people around you are assaulted by an aura of your own blood and anger.
>>
>>54396784
just got my players guide out to do some searching, on his reasoning and he is duping us and we are retarded.
He can make 3 attacks while two-weapon fighting then by using the two extra attacks and the bonus action for the third attack?
>>
>>54397332
>no humans
Blame the half orc for that.
>>
>>54396687
>>54397163
Nitpicking: on innate spellcasting, it's 2/day each and 1/day each, right?
With +4 Con modifier, it should get +56 hp instead of +37
His HP is too high for CR9, 94 (11d8 + 44) would put it near that CR.
The extra damage on Dragonbone Greataxe/Javelin should be shown as 4 (1d8) and 3 (1d6).

This looks really cool, anon.
>>
>>54397287
Poison, both the damage type and the condition, are kinda shit. Most things are immune or resistant to poison, and I'm 90 percent certain that the only way a PC can inflict the poison condition on someone is Ray of Sickness.

Wyvern Poison and Purple Worm Poison have damaging effects that are pretty good, but who knows if you'll actually find any of that.
>>
>>54397362
>blame the half orc
Did the player bitch and complain that humans aren't allowed in the party specifically to accommodate his backstory?
>>
>>54397378
Nope.
I think people just weren't interested in that kind of inter-party conflict and so they avoided it entirely.
>>
>>54397362
um yeah, it doesn't work like that, no.

unless the rest of the party is just following the half-orc's quest for genocide in a plane i think mostly populated by humans...

awful.
>>
>>54396704
you're the divination wiz/knowledge cleric
>>
>>54396976
We had to do some work for some low level lord who had the nickname "the cuckold" because his wife would sleep around to get him higher rankings amongst his peers for the higher lord. then later we had to track down the leader of a thief through his girlfriend and she offered to sell him out in exchange for sex with our orc barbarian
>>
File: The Helmed Champion v 1.4.pdf (687KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Helmed Champion v 1.4.pdf
687KB, 1x1px
>>54397366

Being anal retentive myself, I appreciate the feedback. I hadn't adhered too closely to the DMG guidelines. Here's 1.4. Thanks!
>>
>>54397432
>half-orc is so dominating the other players are cucked of the arguably most common race option
loving it

also, i wonder how everyone is fine with this, human or otherwise. or what greater good is the orc doing, or for which god.

this doesn't sound like a good or even neutral aligned party at all, and if you are running CoS with an evil party, the composition is the least of your problems...
>>
>>54397452
>nicknamed "the cuckold"
Wow he's not even trying. Is this bothering anyone else?
>>
>>54397357
A fighter would get any attacks granted by attack and extra attack. He gets only one bonus action per turn. Period.

Unless he uses action surge, then he gets a second bonus action that turn.

Also, make sure he isn't adding his strength mod to the damage for the bonus attack.
>>
>>54397537
Thanks a ton, he took the two-weapon fighting fighting style so I think he can do that. He also took the Dual Wielder feat so he uses a battleaxe +1 and a long sword +2.
>>
>>54397496
Perfect, except you put 9d8 for hp instead of 11d8, so the hp calcuation is fuzzy.
For d8, it's 4.5 for each hit die, so 49.5. Then you multiply the number of hit dice (11) by the Constitution modifier (4) and you get the extra hp (44), summing it up, it's 93.5, rounded up to 94.
>>
>>54397537
>I don't know the rules but I'll still tell people how they're played.

Action Surge doesn't give you an extra bonus action, only a second normal action.

A TWF Fighter can add his STR to the second attack.
>>
>>54397508
I talked to one other person about it and he said he hadn't noticed it but I'm sure when DM does it again he'll notice
>>
How should I reward exp for puzzles, traps, etc?

Say a party finds a magical crystal that has a built in charm spell always active, which would force them into running down a trapped hallway. They passed saves needed to not be charmed, figured out how to disable it and it wasn't a threat anymore

How would I give exp for this? All I notice in the DMG is alternatives to exp like with milestones and such
>>
>>54397447
>it doesn't work like that
How's it work then?

>unless the rest of the party is just following the half-orc's quest for genocide
Shit no, we all stumbled in to Barovia and got jumped by vampires. He's tolerated because he can fight. Him and the ranger have a budding friendship, mostly revolving around killing things.

>>54397505
>i wonder how everyone is fine with this, human or otherwise.
Most aren't, but no one can escape Barovia so everyone chooses to look the other way (for now)

>or what greater good is the orc doing
Vengeance against an atrocity

>or for which god.
Bane, I think.

>this doesn't sound like a good or even neutral aligned party at all, and if you are running CoS with an evil party, the composition is the least of your problems...
It's pretty CN overall. Earlier in the game there was some suggestion that maybe we could bargain with Strahd, but he decided he would rather throw fireballs at us so now he has to die.
And yeah we're in big trouble. Two deaths already, and we just headed in to the Amber Temple... at level 7. GM casually mentioned something about the possibility of a TPK. Seems likely.

>>54397448
gj have a cookie
>>
>>54397725
Try talking to the rest of your party. The more people that care, the more likely the dm is to respond to the complaint
>>
>>54397302
>>54397304
>>54397371
Why is this shit so bad in literally every fucking system?

People being poisoned and killed has been happening since people found out you can use poison to kill people. Short of shooting them with an arrow or hitting them in the head with a stick, poisoning people has to be one of the most common methods of assassination since ever.

Why does no system ever support such a simple thing?
>>
Character ideas for a nordic-inspired campaign?
>>
File: The Helmed Champion v 1.5.pdf (687KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Helmed Champion v 1.5.pdf
687KB, 1x1px
>>54397683

Oh, ok. Btw, where did the +56 hp come from?
>>
>>54397709
So how do the attacks work in regards to which weapon to attack with, is it his choice or does he need to attack twice with his main hand and bonus with his second hand?
>>
>>54397746
It might be out of fear that it'll be too powerful. With that said, scaling it with player level or the maximum hp of the target sounds like an easy fix
>>
>>54397793
>worrying about something like poison being too powerful in a game where wizards have been completely broken in every edition ever released with no remedy in sight
>>
>>54397730
About same as for easy/normal/difficult encounter for that level.
>>
What's a good name for a Glabrezu?
>>
>>54397730
Give your traps a challenge rating
>>
>>54397919
Shut up, Mearls
>>
>>54397764
It had 14 hit dice (14d8), and +4 Constitution modifier, 14 x 4 = 56.
Now that it was reduced to 11 dice, 11 x 4 = 44.
If you want more info on that, look into the DMG, at page 273, for hp check page 276.
>>
>>54397730
On LMoP and HotDQ it generally gives 100 XP per trap (avoiding/disarming), but that's for the early level dungeons (level 2 and 3, respectively), dunno if it gets higher at later levels.
>>
>>54397851
New thread
>>
>>54397772
As far as I know there is no "main hand" or "offhand" in 5e. A 5th level twf fighter can make two attacks with one of his weapons then use a bonus action to attack with the other.
So a fighter with a scimitar and a short sword can make two attacks with the scimitar then a bonus action attack with the shortword, or he can make two attacks with the shortsword and a bonus action attack with the scimitar
>>
>>54397928

Thanks Anon.
>>
>>54395386
PDK in its current iteration is ass, but the reason I like the concept is the idea of having class mechanics supplement an aspect of role play.

Sure, you can be literally any class and role play a knightly warrior blah blah blah, but having mechanics that match really well with what you'd like to do is a much better feeling than refluffing other mechanics.
>>
>>54396017
If you're gonna use CBE, you may as well go fighter because otherwise your Bonus Action is gonna have something to compete with. You'll also be able to get Sharpshooter much more quickly.
>>
>>54397913

The Great Glabzy
>>
>>54397913
Glabrezont
>>
>>54395315
Don't forget that Second Wind is 1d10+ Fighter level, so a max of 30 healed points at level 20

I added the resistance and the uncapped affected creatures because to me the feature should be like a commander or leader in battle rallying his forces.

The royal envoy, I have no issue with your change.

The inspiring surge, thats a good idea, though it limits spellcasters but perhaps that is a good diea

I made Bulwark extra powerful, with the addition of unlimited creatures affected, advantage and the ability to use it even if you succeed on the saving throw because its a 15th level feature which is shit at its base. Letting it affect all your friends lets the whole party potentially save against a huge AOE like a powerful spell or dragons breath
>>
>>54395386
Its a shit archetype, but the flavour and the intent behind it is interesting. It's supposed to help allies, turn the tide of battles and inspire others.
>>
File: alex-brock-final3sm.jpg (613KB, 1633x2000px) Image search: [Google]
alex-brock-final3sm.jpg
613KB, 1633x2000px
>>54397236
Just a DM reference, unless your setting is very, very organized and game-ified.

Spellbook Cookbooks are common for some wizard schools, but they might include 1d4 of the actual magical monsters.

>>54396597
No problem.

>>54396614
Eventually.
>>
>>54393210
I'm the least leader-like player in my group but without a doubt it sounds like I could lead your group through hell and back
>>
>>54398055
Adding to this, he may also make the off-hand attack between his two original attacks.

Also a player without TWF, but who has Extra Attack can use their action to attack once with each weapon fine. Only the bonus action attack ever loses the damage modifier.
>>
2 of my friends are going to be playing with Me for the the first time Lowest lvl character i have is 3 and they will be LVL 1 should I make a new character or just use the lvl 3 wizard.
DM says he's fine with either
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.