[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 36

File: (((Mike Mearls))).png (25KB, 590x244px) Image search: [Google]
(((Mike Mearls))).png
25KB, 590x244px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54266113

Are you hype for UA: Food and Provisions?
>>
gotta say, the man knows his audience.
>>
>>54271854
Homosexuals?
>>
Barbarian, Fighter, or Paladin?

Purely based on DPR - nothing else.
>>
>>54271866

It'd be GWM/PAM Fighter, wouldn't it?
>>
>>54271865
I mean, I'm sure some of them are.
>>
>>54271854
Tumblr?
>>
Why is scheduling 4 hours, one night a week so hard? If you can't commit to a timeslot, don't join. If you don't wanna play anymore, drop so they can replace you.
>>
>>54271896
How many homosexuals play 5e?
>>
What's the best hand crossbow build? What's the coolest?
>>
>>54271854
If I put out a piece of work, and then say people will either like it or dislike it, am I prescient in your eyes? Because I've got some solid predictions for the stock market if that's the case, please send money and I'll invest it in your name.
>>
>>54271911
>What's the best hand crossbow build
McCree fighter with crossbow expert and sharpshooter.
>>
>>54271908
I know at least 2, including me. Well, bi.
>>
>>54271859
There isn't really a thing as 'too much' or 'too little' HP. It depends on the damage of the creatures the party faces.

Also, if they're losing max HP, they're in danger of death at any rate, so they should probably hold back and retreat/defendthemself/whatever. If they die because 'oh look I have double HP!' then that's their loss when they get killed.

It does make certain things such as 'tough' more valuable, but I guess you just have to be a bit more careful. I'd make inspiring leader a half-feat and make tough a half-feat, and the possibility of upping constitution instead of your main stat is welcome.
>>
>>54271821

My problem with the UA is that it's doing the opposite of what it should. We already had speedfactor as an option. Why not make a good, Initiativeless combat system ruleset instead?
>>
>>54271901
I know this feel anon. Been having games every other Saturday starting at 3, for two years, and yet there is still one guy that always has SOMETHING that makes him late to game.

>Sorry guys, had to deal with some bullshit.
>Dude, you had two weeks to schedule that bullshit for any other day but today.
>>
Is healing from elemental damage a thing in 5e? Like if you have immunity to fire from class or race feature, and then you use investiture of fire, would that second instance of fire immunity allow you to heal from fire damage?
>>
>>54271926
>Well, bi

That's just a fancy way of saying, "I'm actually straight, but I guess there could be a boy out there I'd bone, and being straight is kind of a filthy thing to be these days."
>>
>>54271908
I don't know about homosexuals, but my entire party, including the DM, are fucking faggots.
>>
Why is it that wizard has a better spell list, better archetype powers, a method of increasing spell slots per day that is way more effective AND is better at casting spells without preparation than a sorcerer?

Why even have this class if they're going to make it so bunk instead of just replacing it with warlock entirely, as it's already quite similar. The one trick sorcerer has with metamagic isn't even that good because all the options are either too expensive, suck ass or are quicken spell which exists for "I cast a regular spell and then an attack cantrip to do lots of damage" and nothing else.
>>
>>54271952
>good, Initiativeless
probably because those words are opposites.
>>
>>54271960
No.
>>
>>54271911
McCree Fighter: Battle Master with CBE and SS. Any dex race works but vhuman gets there faster.

If you don't care for the capstone you can warlock or ranger or rogue whatever after 11-12th.
>>
>+2 to dex and wis
>Flight
>no disadvantage on ranged weapons at long distance
That's OP
>>
>>54271977
Faggot freak
>>
>>54271979
I've cobbled together my own version, and my players prefer it to normal combat, judging by their behavior in game. and unsolicited comments.
>>
>>54272016

Bi freak*

Fix'd
>>
>>54271933
Well, the idea itself seems interesting, though I'd add Disadv on actions after hitting 0.
>>
>>54271960
It's really weird to me when people come up with their own rules and then ask if they work. Like, it's not that they read an existing rule and are asking for clarification on it, they just make up something whole-cloth and go "Does this work?"

Of course it doesn't work.
>>
>>54272055
Can you share? I'm interested.
>>
>>54272055
well, without knowing what it is, if it involves players/monsters going in some sort of predetermined order, it's not really initiativeless.
>>
>>54271993
The people who write the Plane Shift PDFs don't play D&D and don't care about balance, they'll put as many things onto a race as they feel they need to make it "accurate" to the original setting. You're better off ignoring them.
>>
>>54272089
I thought about that, but it kinda feels like it'd detract from if someone wanted to make a heroic last stand but couldn't hit anything and it'd still encourage healers, especially paladins to go around using lay-on-hands to heal everyone 1 HP so that they don't have disadvantage. Rather, people should heal before they start losing HP or it'll hurt them in the long run.

The idea is your normal HP is standard fighting spirit and mettle where you don't take proper damage. Beyond that, you start to take physical damage but can otherwise function fine, and once you hit absolute 0 you can barely go on.
>>
>>54271821
http://www.strawpoll.me/13411296
>>
File: 1411319146971.gif (459KB, 272x180px) Image search: [Google]
1411319146971.gif
459KB, 272x180px
R8 my magic items. Party level 6. They have no other permanent magic items right now so I wanted to personalize things.

Claw of the Pouncing Tiger - TWF Barb - This claw allows you to cast ‘jump’ at will, but only targeting yourself. Additionally, on the first round of combat, you can make a leaping attack that triples your jump distance (you are still constrained by your movement speed for the turn). If this attack hits, it does an extra 2d6 piercing damage. Additionally, if the attack hits, and the target is one size larger than you or smaller, the target must succeed in an athletics contest or be knocked prone after your attack as you pounce onto them. Damage from this weapon counts as magical.

Brass Tassets of the Sonnlinor. - Life Cleric - These tassets can hold up to 3 charges, and gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering. As an action, you can expend one of these charges to cast calm emotions, prayer of healing, zone of truth, searing smite, meld into stone, or heat metal.

The Chains that Bind. - Chain Lock - When one is worn by both master and familiar, the master gains access to the ‘Voice of the Chain Master’ invocation, and can also cast ALL spells through their familiar, as long as they are within 100 feet of each other. The familiar must use its reaction to deliver the spell, and abides by all similar rules for delivering touch spells as per the ‘find familiar’ spell. Your familiar also learns the spell ‘Bestow Curse’, and can use it once per long rest.
>>
Random question, does defensive duelist need a buff?
>>
>The setting is my own creation. A tiefling run kingdom

Is it even worth it? I'm desperate for a party to play in, but I'm so sick of grimdark, edgy games.
>>
>>54272169

That's Reaction to add +2AC against melee, right? Seems like it could use a tune-up.
>>
>>54271901
I'm a DM of an adult group of 8 players. The number of players on our monthly session varies between 4 and 8. There will always be other apointments that are more important than D&D and that is completely okay, as long as the absence is communicated. The birthday party of your grand mother, visiting a friend in hospital, holidays, there are countless things
>>
>>54272092
How dare people use their creativity to come with new interesting things.
>>
>>54272196
It's add prof bonus to AC, which means it goes from meh to shield.
>>
>>54272217
That's not even remotely what is being discussed.
>>
>>54272218

Oh, proficiency! For some reason, I thought it was a flat +2. Yeah, that's better.
>>
Right you fucks, I wanna play as M. Bison. Help me out with a build? Immortal Mystic. Should I dip into Monk for their unarmed damage, or just take tavern brawler?
>>
>>54272166
>Brass Tassets of the Sonnlinor. - Life Cleric - These tassets can hold up to 3 charges, and gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering. As an action, you can expend one of these charges to cast calm emotions, prayer of healing, zone of truth, searing smite, meld into stone, or heat metal.
That! I love that. And by love I mean I will steal this idea from you!
>>
>>54272125
>>54272098
Cliff note version:
>players act once each in a turn, but can do so in any order.
>battles have a hidden HP value, individual monsters do not. The number of monsters fluctuates with dramatic tension. One monster might leave or die, or other monsters might arrive to reinforce
>skill checks can be made, and if successful, reduce the battle's hidden HP value.
>Battle ends when either the maximum turns happens (defeat), or the players deplete it's Hidden HP value (victory). Narrative bonuses/penalties based on how well or poorly the players did.
>enemies act whenever is narratively appropriate, usually there is a response to every player action. Damage is assigned based on enemy actions, but should average out to a predetermined "damage per round" stat for the battle.
>if the monsters have special abilities included in their stat pages, they can use them normally.

The players don't realize what's going on behind the scenes. They just act whenever they want, and feel more free to do weird combined shit in combat.
>>
>>54272192
Do these grimdark, edgy tieflings people talk about actually exist? Every tiefling I've ever seen played has been played like a normal human, nearly always Neutral or Neutral Good.
>>
File: tiefling spellcaster.jpg (376KB, 749x1100px) Image search: [Google]
tiefling spellcaster.jpg
376KB, 749x1100px
What happens when a level 20 Warlock, with a part of four to five other level 20 PC's, meets their Patron?

What is the ultimate fate of a Warlock? Do their souls go to their Patrons?

Can a Warlock kill his Patron and become his own Patron?

I'm a new DM and I just want to have an idea of how the relationship between Warlock and Patron goes aside from "this being gives you power." I know that in the PHB the relationship between Patron and Warlock can be as close as that of Cleric and God or so distant that the Patron may not even be aware of the Warlock.
>>
>>54271976
Quicken spell should let you use 2 spells in the same turn. As it is now, it's just extra cantrip
>>
>>54272275
Dude it's your world. Do what you want. Go wild.
>>
>>54272250
Glad you like it! Here is my fluff text I removed for the sake of not making a giant post. Perfect, of course, for a dwarf cleric of Moradin.

The teachings of Moradin suggest that dwarves should be inventive, good natured, and co-exist harmoniously with other races, rejecting their tendencies to be prideful and isolationists. These modest tassets are made of incredibly strong brass forming 2 segmented plate sections on each leg. On the front of each segment they have stamped leather adorned with the anvil and flames of Moradin. They remind you of his teachings as you ceremoniously don them every morning.
>>
>>54272259
I will tell you after next sunday. A player of the group I DM for was an edgy, lol-fuck-random halfling rogue. We really like the player, but there were sessions when we had to interrupt the game to clarify, that we had enough.

We've switched from 3.5e to 5e. Characters were simply adapted to the new rules. Except for this one player of course. He is now a tiefling rogue with arcane trickster subclass. When I mentioned, that he can do this, but this will be a new character with a new name and so on he started to argue.

I fear for the worst.
>>
>>54272196
>>54272218
As opposed to shield, however, which stays the rest of the round, it only works against one attack. It's supposed to be decent on monks once you have max dex/wis but that takes ages so idk where it's even useful.
>>
>>54272275
Ideally, they fuck.
>>
I want to do things with wind. What's my build?
>>
>>54272369
Wizard, fart themed, gas spells only.
>>
>>54272328
That really is great. I just started DMing for 5e, therefore I'm a bit cautious about magical items. Especially because the game reduced the amount of those quite drastically. But maybe I should simply give it a go, my players aren't those who would completely abuse powerful magical items.
>>
>>54272275
In this edition they have done away with nefarious deals and giving up your soul and such. You can still do that, but it's a fluff penalty that has no upside and IMO it just feels bad knowing my character will be fucked in the afterlife and never have a happy ending or whatever. They were originally intelligence casters, learning secrets and such but not directly draining energy from the patrons, so by that fluff killing their patron they may have a harder time leveling up but wouldn't lose their class levels or anything.
Many still go by the fluff that they're directly using of their patron's power though, in which case that doesn't work. Becoming your own patron would involve becoming a demon lord, GOO, archfey or whatever and isn't much more possible for a warlock than other classes.
>>
>>54272275
First off, your players will almost certainky.not reach level 20, so don't worry about it. Even if the group is very stable and reliable, players get bored around level 13.

A warlock's relationship with a patron depends a lot on the patron, but you should make sure that it amounts to more than "nothing at all." It should come with obligations on the warlock's part, either services to the patron to hold up the warlock's end of the pact or precautions that must be observed so that the patron doesn't notice that the warlock is stealing spells from him. One of those two. A warlock who's dumb enough to kill his patron has bitten the hand that feeds him and needs to find somewhere else to get magic. Warlocks can't become their own patrons because they have no magic of their own to give away: all they have is either purchased or stolen.
>>
>>54272414

This was the answer I was looking for. Thank you!
>>
>>54272259

Oh, they definitely show up. CHA/INT translates to darkly handsome and calculating, and the Infernal Legacy spells are right up an edgelord's alley-make spooky things happen, drop some hellfire on enemies, throw down a shroud of darkness, all good stuff for them.
>>
>>54272369
Way of Four Elements. Unfortunately, it sucks, but there's a homebrew fix.
>>
>>54272419

This was very helpful, too! Thanks!
>>
File: dmg.png (1MB, 770x1076px) Image search: [Google]
dmg.png
1MB, 770x1076px
>>54272275
DMG says a level 20 warlock might eventually become a patron in his own right. Killing their patron would be a pretty good way to handle that, since it would bring in the whole party.

PHB overall portrays warlocks are being like scholars of forbidden lore in the Faustian sense who receive secrets and magical gifts from their patron and their own study. It's really up to you and your player though.
>>
>>54272398
More or less the same for me. I am running SKT and the party has gone through the initial ramp up and is finally getting into the meat of the campaign. We are probably about 2 months in. The campaign does not hand out a lot of magic items at low level, but I want them to start feeling like they have something special. They are in a sandbox portion of the module right now, so I want each of them to feel like they had a memorable experience earning something in this section of the campaign. In the end, if you are homebrewing, you can have a lot of freedom as long as you dont make things grossly overpowered.
>>
>>54272457
>PHB overall portrays warlocks are being like scholars of forbidden lore in the Faustian sense who receive secrets and magical gifts from their patron and their own study.
Why did people have to bitch and whine them into being Charisma casters?
>>
>>54272166
at risk of tacking on boring extras, you might want to make the claw weapon +1 for that level of play. a lot of weapons around that level are +1 with a conditional extra effect like '+1d6 to undead' or something. making it deal magical damage somewhat circumvents this though, especially since your player is twf.
>>
>>54272166
>gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering.
???
>>
>>54272369
Storm Sorcerer, EE players guide has a few neat spells relating to wind.
>>
>>54272254
Do you have a formula for calculating Battle HP relative to party level?

What is the maximum number of turns in a battle?
>>
>>54272419
>>54272430
Note that the "nothing at all" is supposed to be reserved for the GOO specifically, since the entire point of them is to be unintelligible, and thus having set goals and whatnot would break that.
>>
>>54272524
>>54272524
exactly what it says. encourages and rewards good roleplaying, and the character is proficient with a set of masons tools. he can easily say 'at the end of the day while we are setting up camp i whittle some stone' and get a charge.
>>
>>54272494
I think Charisma works just as well for Intelligence for Warlocks. I like the idea of a Warlock needing the strong force of will to deal with his patron (or in the case of GOOlocks, not succumb to eldritch weirdness). The stronger their will, the better they are at casting spells.

The strongest argument against Cha that I can see is that there already are other Cha casters and only one Int caster.
>>
>>54272570
Not exactly. A GOO patron is probably in the "stolen from" category rather than in the "purchased from" category. Though a few like Nyarlathotep would be more than happy to give commands to human followers.
>>
>>54272645
The biggest argument for an Int-based warlock is that, as part of the pact, you'd need to have the know-how to make one and NOT be instantly screwed over...at least right away. Having Cha is nice for the talking bit, but when it comes down to brass tacks, being smart with the conditions is a lot more useful.
>>
>>54272541
You can base it on the Custom Monster DMG guide. Take the CR of the encounter you want, and figure out how much HP a lone monster of that CR would have. This also gives you a good baseline for the damage per round.
>>
>>54272275
Depends on the Patron. You could conceivably kill a Fiend or Archfey patron, but good fucking luck even scratching a GOO. That encounter would be
>Ok you see SHURBGNORTHLEFGHTGH THE STAR-RAPING SOUL-EXTINGUISHER.
>He says "hey how's it goin", but because you are looking directly at him you need to make a DC 35 WIS saving throw or have your brain turned to paste.
>>
File: 1499209085967.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1499209085967.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
Hey /5eg/
Long story short, my PC's pissed off the city government of a "mildly" corrupt theocracy with priests in the nature domain.
They will be placing a hit on the party, particularly one member. What would be thematically appropriate to send after them? The city is a mega-oasis in a fuckhuge desert, so desert themes can also apply.

>Long story short, short: What kinda interesting assassins would corrupt nature clerics in the desert hire
>>
>>54271866
Pam gwm pally, probs vengeance but oathbreaker is better if you DM allows it. Will be more squishy compared to a fighter cause of MAD.
>>
>>54272727
Menscorpions?
>>
>>54272727
Awakened sand worm
>>
>>54272727
A sniper that jumps from roof to roof and runs off immediately after shooting once.

Failing that a group of them fire a volley and scamper off.
>>
>>54272705
Fair enough.
>>
File: Flumph oh my.jpg (157KB, 1000x872px) Image search: [Google]
Flumph oh my.jpg
157KB, 1000x872px
>>54272347
>"Glreefolud the Slick of Black Blood, you've caught my eye ever since I was a wee Warlock."
>"And you too Jerry, slayer of Asmodeus, conquerer of the nine hells, and all around swell dude."
>"Now, I feel, is the time to take this pact to the next level..."
>>
>>54272712
Thanks. I'll try this out for my next game.
>>
>>54272727

Some rich theocrats could probably get their hands on some gnolls, turn them loose in the city where the PCs are staying. They'll probably eat some commoners, but hey, not like that matters. Plus, it provides cover for an Hashshashin to slip in among the chaos and murder the specific target.
>>
>>54272727

There are some fun things in ToB like Accursed Defilers and Anubians that are perfect for deserts.

And I'm only at letter A.
>>
>>54272727
>Mildly corrupt theocracy in the middle of a desert
Suicide bombers
>>
File: Hki87DC.webm (955KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Hki87DC.webm
955KB, 720x404px
>>54272831
Fuck, I should have thought of that.
>>
>>54272727
Efreeti!

And of course what he said:>>54272831
>>
>>54272727

Maybe they send a pack of Bulettes after the party, or mark the member through a ritual/scent that attracts them.

>Sandshark/s ambush(es) the party and only slinks off towards the sand to try again once every half-hour if beaten back.
>>
I actually think the UA is kinda cool. It's too crunchy for 5e, but it's a neat idea, and I could see it being used successfully in another system.

How does the Alert feat work in it though?
>>
>>54272897
No, that's boring. They should awaken them instead.
>yfw bulettes use SWAT tactics to kill you
>>
You see plenty of Homebrew for Classes, Archetypes, Races and Spells.

I've never seen one for additional weapon types.

Is it too much to ask for another Finesse Weapon to complete with Rapiers?
>>
>>54272916
Bonuses and penalties to initiative stop happening entirely. Being surprised is still a thing, it just imposes a different kind of penalty. So part of Alert still works.
>>
>>54272916
Check the third page under "Special Rules"
>If an effect would grant you a bonus to your initiative roll under the standard system, instead reduce the size of one die you roll for initiative, so that a d6 becomes a d4, a d4 becomes a d3, and so on.
>>
File: 5e 121712 next katana.png (3KB, 794x28px) Image search: [Google]
5e 121712 next katana.png
3KB, 794x28px
>>54272975
Just go back to the playtests.
>>
File: Zealot.jpg (737KB, 1000x813px) Image search: [Google]
Zealot.jpg
737KB, 1000x813px
>>54272975
Dip into soulknife to become a protoss.
>>
>>54272975
How about a scimitar or a (((k a t a n a)))? Both could be neat.
>>54273009
beat me to it
>>
>>54272975
Saber. Does 1d8 slashing damage, and a finesse weapon. Refluff as katana to please your weeb players/self.
>>
>>54273009

>Two Handed Finesse Weapon

Neato.

I mean, cringey weeb shit aside, a 2H Finesse Weapon is actually pretty cool.
>>
>>54273021

But anon, scimitars are a thing in the PHB. Martial, 1d6, finesse, light.
>>
>>54273015

But everyone hates Mystic and I don't think I could live with myself if people in /5eg/ didn't approve of my choices.
>>
Wielding a Katana should impose a disadvantage on all Charisma-based rolls. The effect would last until broken by a Remove Curse spell.
>>
>>54273053
Cringey westaboo shit aside, longswords letting you do 1d10 with two hands is actually pretty cool.
>>
>>54273142
>tfw no mordhau or half-swording
>>
YOU THERE

GIVE ME ROGUE ARCHETYPES
>>
>>54273186
No. Go away.
>>
>>54273009
It would have been nice if they reintroduced this with the Samurai.
>>
>>54273186
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
>>
>>54271593
Don't listen to those guys who replied to you last thread, that sounds good if you specifically want a more lethal campaign and it's not like death saving throws should be a regular thing. Consider that healing still exists and even if someone dies, if someone in the party has Revivify they still have 10 turns to bring him back
>>
That's it. I'm sick of all this “just refluff a scimitar“ bullshit that's going on in 5e right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in 5e. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

Martial Melee Weapon
1d12 slashing
Versatile (2d10)
Finesse, light
Counts as magic

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?
>>
>>54273275
I missed this.
>>
File: Bm6eWgZ.png (189KB, 1331x959px) Image search: [Google]
Bm6eWgZ.png
189KB, 1331x959px
>>54273009
Some of these are pretty interesting, actually.

Has anyone allowed these in an actual game? How did it go?
>>
File: thief.png (129KB, 1149x670px) Image search: [Google]
thief.png
129KB, 1149x670px
>>54273186
see

>>54255816
>>54255833
>>54255847
>>54255874
>>
>>54272166
bumpin
>>
>>54273186
Thief, Assassin, Arcane Trickster
>>
File: fuckweebs.gif (2MB, 387x217px) Image search: [Google]
fuckweebs.gif
2MB, 387x217px
>>54273275
Looks pretty good to me.
>>
>>54273275
I agree
>>
>>54273316
>Glaive: 10gp / 1d10 slash / 15 lb / heavy, reach, two-handed
>Halberd: 10gp / 1d10 slash / 15 lb / heavy, reach, two-handed

>Greataxe: 30 gp / 1d12 slashing / 15lb / Heavy, two-handed
>Greatsword: 50 gp / 1d12 slashing / 10lb / Heavy, two-handed

>Double axe: 10 gp / 1d8/1d6 slashing 2lb / Double, two handed
>Double sword: 10 gp / 1d8/1d6 slashing 2lb / Double, two handed
For what purpose
>>
>>54273316
>Double axe
>Double sword
Tell me more.
>>
>>54273430
Not with those digits.
>>
>>54273355

Aren't katanas made the way they are because all the iron in Japan is super shitty compared to the mainland?
>>
>>54273316

>Spiked Chain
>Finesse, reach, two-handed 1d8

I'm sickened, but curious.
>>
File: dubs.png (649B, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
dubs.png
649B, 32x32px
>>54273430
>>
>>54273428

Probably for variety's sake.
It's not like some of this didn't carry over to the PHB anyways.

>Spear: 1 gp / 1d6 Piercing / 3lbs / Versatile (1d8)
>Trident: 5 gp / 1d6 Piercing / 4 lbs / Versatile (1d8)
>>
File: daelanredtiger.jpg (28KB, 265x390px) Image search: [Google]
daelanredtiger.jpg
28KB, 265x390px
>>54273430

Never met an Uthgardt before?
>>
>>54272975
>>54273316
People keep trying to bloat the game with useless stuff, PHB already has the Glaive and Halberd being the same weapon besides the name.

If you want weapons to feel different, use Beyond Damage Dice, from Kobold Press (there's a link on the trove), it's way better than trying to bring double weapons back to 5e to make weapon choice matter.
>>
>>54273186
Hamburgler
Muttley
Con Man
Ogre Mage
Plumber
Robin Hood
Bron from GoT
Moe Syzlak
Ian Holm
The Ghost of Christmas Past
MacGuyver

Is that enough?
>>
>>54273503
>Ian Holm
I smiled.
>>
>>54273430
I'm guessing them and Urgrosh allowed you to attack as a bonus action with the other stated damage die, without adding ability modifier.
>>
>>54273447
Yeah, the Japanese got fucked on the underground lottery. Shit metals, no oil, the works. The reason they did Pearl Harbor was because Japan literally could not sustain their empire without American oil imports, and they wanted to take out the Pacific Fleet to try and force a quick surrender of the USA where they could demand oil rights. Didn't work, but they tried.
>>
>>54272786
>>54272788
>>54272831
>>54272868
>>54272897
Thanks for all these ideas! I won't be running out of ammo for encounters any time soon, now.

>>54272795
>>54272824
A combination of these two is exactly what I'm looking for. They already despise Gnolls, so this is perfect.
>>
File: PerfectCombo.gif (111KB, 678x923px) Image search: [Google]
PerfectCombo.gif
111KB, 678x923px
>>54273456

>Oh the possibilities...
>>
>>54273072
I kinds refluffed the PHB scimitars as shorter curved blades (not unlike the Sica of ancient thracians or even the japanese wakizashi) and use proper scimitars (and other similar curved blades like sabers and cutlasses) as 1d8 finesse weapons for my game.
My players like that.
>>
>>54272341
>It's supposed to be decent on monks once you have max dex/wis but that takes ages so idk where it's even useful.
Most feats were made for fighters or rogues. This one is probably for the one-handed weapons type who either favor dex (less value from shield master) or at least didn't dump dex. It's interesting as a starter feat for a variant human monk, too.
>>
>>54273535
Man they got fucked on the overground lottery too. Their wood is absolute trash for making bows resulting in them having to make those 2m tall Yumi bows to make even a mediocre bow.
>>
>>54273633
It might have been made for them, but it isn't very good for them I think.. It could at least give +1 dex or something, I think I'll just work it into dual wielder since its +1 ac is pretty boring.
>>
What are some of the consequences of normalizing critical hit damage? Lets say if you crit with any weapon or spell it deals a flat 2d6 extra damage of its type.
>>
>>54272254
It sounds like your players don't really care about rules, they just want to punch stuff (at least in combat). That sort of system could only work with a very specific type of player and DM, and I'm skeptical of the extent to which it does work even there. You know there's no way WoTC could possibly publish something like this in an official system. And it's almost more inappropriate in an UA: people go there looking for more rules, not the phrase "narratively appropriate". Any DM who's run a session for that (rules-averse) kind of group already knows to bend the rules once in a while for a good story.
>>
>>54273675

Hm. Would explain why the Koreans constantly had to deal with Japanese pirates.
>>
>>54273685
Imbalance? Spell crits become worse, small-weapon crits become better, most importantly smite and sneak attack and similar features benefit nothing from critting. If you want to make it easier to track just double the dice damage instead of rolling more dice, or just double damage since crits are so rare it doesn't affect much anyway.
>>
>>54273689
Actually, they hate "just punching stuff", which is why the normal rules don't work. Since the normal rules encourage and require "just punching stuff" ad nauseam.
>>
>>54273689
I agree when it comes to hp but having a looser initiative system that just goes off what happens in the narrative (but is still constrained to 1 turn per round) works IMO. I've used popcorn initiative a while and it's quite similar, whoever initiates combat in the narrative or wins the initiative roll starts and then they decide who goes next and so on. The main benefit IMO is that the predictability and ability to plan adds some tactical depth while the new initiative system for example wrongly tries to make things unpredictable and chaotic, making it meaningless to plan or try to work together and making it very unsatisfying when something unexpected happens (like you say you want to move, attack, action surge and second wind, the monster goes first and just fucks off, so you just stand there doing nothing).
>>
>>54273711
No I'd just like to see crits be more of a nice bonus for everyone instead of oh wow, an extra d8, cool for some people and a dice avalanche for others.

But since they're rare enough it shouldn't play too much either way.
>>
>>54273816
Straight up double damage does that kind of. Still synergy with some stuff like GWM/SS I guess but yeah. Some classes want crits more than others, specifically the ones that do a lot of damage on a single attack, I don't quite agree that's something that should be taken away/mitigated. 2d6 would be alright in most situations, not a huge deal, though it would put things further in favor of dexterity as strength benefits most from crits with higher damage at the moment.
>>
>>54273685
It would be a huge hit to barbarogues

>>54273675
That's news to me! Pretty cool news. No wonder the signature Samurai weapon was the arquebus.
>>
>>54273430
Double weapons in that particular playtest counted as wielding a weapon in both hands and worked with two-weapon fighting.

Two-weapon fighting at the time let you attack with both weapons when you attacked while wielding two, as long as one was light, with a -2 penalty to both, and no damage bonus to the light weapon. It's... pretty clunky, and I don't think RAW even allows double weapons to be used as intended.
>>
>>54273685

Half-orc racial trait may need to be adjusted in that scenario. Or you keep it as is, and its the only way to roll another weapon dice on crit.
>>
>>54273733
Perhaps I should have explained more, but I didn't want to make the post too long. I'd hoped that "punch stuff" being used as a contrast to rules-heavy combat made it clear. I meant just getting stuck in, as opposed to rules lawyering your way through combat. That is, "I'd like to jump on the table and poke this guy's eye out" rather than "I cast Tyrant's Bane on my +2 longsword then charge 10ft. in a straight line to activate my Charger feat then as a bonus action..."
>>
>>54273685
Crits are already fine. You just roll all dice involved again. What's the problem?
>>
File: 1458525074960.jpg (29KB, 855x187px) Image search: [Google]
1458525074960.jpg
29KB, 855x187px
>>54273884
>it's pretty clunky
It's almost exactly how it was in 3rd edition if you had the right feats. Really shows you how much streamlining there was to be done.
The final weapon list that made it to the 5e PHB is probably my favorite of any game I've played.
Except I do miss the 20+ types of polearms in AD&D...
>>
>>54273909
Personally, I feel that it a case of what people want to do vs the structure of the rules. For example:

Player wants to make a character that stab the ogres in their eyes, Blinding them.

Can't do that.

Player instead makes a Sorcadin that casts Hold Person as a bonus action, causing Paralysis instead.
>>
How do you make daggers good /5eg/?

I mean I get that they're simple weapons and they can be thrown and whoofuckinghoo. But I just find it odd how garbage they are, especially considering they should be a primary option for Rogues.
>>
>>54274005
>especially considering they should be a primary option for Rogues.
Dagger is not a weapon you want to wield in combat, anon. It's for hiding in your sleeves and stabbing unarmed people.
>>
>>54274005
I haven't played a Rogue in ages, is there any reason for them to use one at all?
>>
>>54274005
Well thats kinda the point. A Dagger in the hands of a Fighter does at most 1d4+5, while a Rogue with the same dagger can gouge someone's neck for 1d4+5+5d6 at level 9.
>>
>>54274005
Twist them when they go in, it's all in the wrist
>>
>>54274005
Wield a Rapier and a Dagger as a Rogue. The point is you can use the Dagger to hit someone from range or hiding, and then use the Rapier for if they get in your face.

Another option is Kensai for obvious reasons.
>>
Just curious, dual wielding seems to have been shit since forever, how did it work in 4e? Since it's generally the most mechanically sound and balanced of the lot.
>>
>>54274029

Yeah.

And they can do it better with a fucking shortsword because there is no reason to use a dagger at all.
>>
>>54272727
Assassin's Creed dudes with wrist blades.
>>
>>54274045
>how did it work in 4e?
>>54274045
>it's generally the most mechanically sound and balanced of the lot.

How would you know how balanced it is if you've never read the book?
>>
>>54273685
>>54273816

It fucks Rogues over for no reason.

Everyone is keeping the same chances to crit with roughly the same damage increase when they do. Yes? Fighter crits with a greatsword, bam gets an extra 2d6, there's no change for them. Their average DPR remains the same.

But now Rogue crits are worth only a fraction of the extra damage they normally would get. It reduces their effective damage. It's a straight up nerf to Rogues.
>>
>>54273866
>>54273903
Ok, what about along with the 2d6, rolling on a critical table for some added effect, to help out those classes that fish for that crit?
>>
>>54274005
Daggers are fine. They're a utility weapon (easily concealed useful as knives) more than anything. On rogues they are actually useful, since they give you range and melee in one package without any feat investments.
>>
>>54274073
I've read a lot of it for someone who's never played it. I've read design methodology that was sound. I've read a lot of discussions and thoughts on it and it seems to be the general consensus. Change it to
>Since it seems generally the most mechanically sound and balanced of the lot.
I guess
>>
>>54274005
They're the only finesse thrown melee weapon. Thus, the only finesse weapon you can throw as part of TWF. That can be extremely important for rogues who want to get their round's SA damage.
>>
>>54274080
Like, if crits bother you, just fucking get rid of them (except for barbarian additonal damage die on 20). It'd be a slight nerf to Paladins and Battle Masters who can on-hit activate extra damage powers if they see they rolled a crit, and nobody plays Champions, but making them a fixed additional effect fucks over the Rogue damage curve.
>>
>>54274045
>How did it work in 4e?
It didn't, really.
In 4e, powers did a multiple of your weapon damage. For example, a power might deal 2[W]+str, meaning 2xweapon die + str modifier.
Some powers explicitly called for multiple attacks, or attacks with multiple weapons. Those powers tended to have less damage per hit.
You could not simply grab a second weapon and suddenly attack twice per round with the same moves. That was never an option.

>>54274104
I'm guessing the question is why you're bothering to change it to begin with.
>>
File: sueng-hoon-woo-150722fe.jpg (468KB, 1920x3192px) Image search: [Google]
sueng-hoon-woo-150722fe.jpg
468KB, 1920x3192px
Which is more entertaining/versatile:

Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight

I love the flavor of Barbarians but as I've gotten more experienced (and maybe because my DM doesn't let me do anything cool as a Barb) I started to grow bored with Barbarian.

I still want to hit things, but I want more options in combat and out of combat. I'm sure Paladin is better due to all the praise it gets, but right now I have my eye on Fighter.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54274104
Unless there are custom crit tables for each class, how would that help? Also I don't think crit tables work very well for 5e.
>>
>>54274041

Why take 1d4+5+5d6 when you can take 1d8+5+5d6?
>>
>>54274128
If you've read a lot of it go open your book or .pdf and read how TWF works. I'm not even going to talk about 4e as a whole, I'm just shocked that you don't know the rules but still chose to make assumptions about them.

Also you could always google this or make a /4eg/ which pops up sometimes.
>>
>>54274045
The usual benefit is just having access to the second weapon or implement for your powers. You can pick up feats for more numerical bonuses (mostly to damage or AC on top of that) and some classes have powers that require using two weapons. You CAN'T get extra attacks with two weapons without having specific powers at all.
>>
>>54274148
Not the point nigga, I'm saying daggers are more effective in the hands of a Rogue than other classes thanks to Sneak Attack.

However consider that even then that makes an average difference of 2 damage. If you want to go full minmax about it run a Sharpshooter CBE Rogue for 2d6+10+20+5d6.
>>
>>54274142
Thanks, that makes sense.

>>54274173
It was just a quick question, sorry if I near derailed the entire thread with a simple 4e question.
>>
>>54274128
4e was fairly balanced (there were exceptions). The problem was never balance, it was the fact that there were too many situational modifiers to keep track of.
For example, my 12th-level barbarian had +13 to hit with his spear, but there would be an additional +1 if he was charging, or +2 if he was pushing, and another +1 if he was bloodied. And with a feat every two levels, you'd keep getting more and more situational modifiers. And also all of the totals would change every other level.
Some people say derisively that 4e is like a video game, but I actually think it would be a fantastic system for a video game, because then there would be a computer to keep track of all the numbers and you could just choose your moves and enjoy the game balance.

>>54274148
Because you might not be able to sneak that 1d8 into a nobleman's ballroom, but a 1d4 is easily concealable.
If you meant in combat, then literally no reason. Use the damn rapier.
>>
>>54274134

You get slightly bigger dice using a Shortsword and Hand Crossbow, since you can use ranged weapons to trigger Sneak Attack as well.
>>
>>54274212
I've heard it works great with roll20 macros but I've yet to try it because my group isn't big on complex combat and tactics. Book-keeping isn't a lot of fun but at the same time I can't help but want to play it whenever I have to cross-reference spells between class features, spell lists and the actual spell desicriptions, or other convoluted stuff in other rpgs.
>>
>>54274205
This exactly. Anybody who's worried about 2 damage per round needs to get their head out of their ass. If you think daggers are cool, use them.

>>54274247
Macros that reference situational bonuses with power keywords would be dope as fuck. I might actually have to look up a 4e group on roll20 now...
>>
>>54274144
Battle Master uses all their Maneuvers for Precises in case they miss, Riposte in case the enemy misses, and occasionally Trip if there's a good case for it. There are other things they can do, but 99% of the time you'll be doing one of these three.

Eldritch Knight uses all their spell slots for Shield and Resist spells. There are other things they can do, but you'll generally be bad at them so 99% of the time this is the better use of their slots. Eldritch Strike can be good for landing a Hold Person or such if you have decent INT, though, but it requires forethought to set up.

So, between the two of them, I'd say EK is more entertaining in general between having a couple cantrips you can use for misc. stuff (like Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation), learn a useful utility spell like Find Familiar, and while Battle Master is a damage monster, EK can be an inequaled AC beast through S&B+Shield+Shield of Faith (via Magic Initiate).
>>
>>54274145
If it was based on the total damage dealt, more damage = more severe, classes that deal a shit load of damage at once get better results than ones that don't.
>>
>>54274287
Right, yeah that seems like it might work.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13411296

Remember to vote on your opinion of the new UA
>>
File: page_1 (1).jpg (361KB, 1156x1496px) Image search: [Google]
page_1 (1).jpg
361KB, 1156x1496px
Best setting checking in.
>>
Wood Elf Rogue Arcane Trickster seems like It'd be rather good with Elven Accuracy and a Longbow or CBE. I wonder why I've never even heard of someone doing a Wood Elf Rogue, it seems like It'd be rather strong.
>>
>>54271901
>friend pushes me to learn how to be a GM so we can start playing tabletop RP games
>starting building a setting and spend dozens of hours on it
>doesn't put any time into anything even when I ask just to spend 10 minutes randomly picking a race and class and reading what you can do at the first two levels
>after one session he just doesn't answer when we have a group of 4 waiting on him
>"oh, yeah, I'm just not feeling it. I don't think I want to play anymore."
is there a worse feeling?
>>
>>54274225
You don't get slightly bigger dice doing that, because you can't TWF with a ranged weapon.
>>
File: The Verdant Passage.jpg (4MB, 5595x4385px) Image search: [Google]
The Verdant Passage.jpg
4MB, 5595x4385px
>>54274312
ACTUAL best setting checking in
>>
>>54274345

CBE lets you fire a Hand Crossbow with a Bonus Action after you make a One Handed Attack.

It's literally TWF but for Hand Crossbows.
>>
>>54274319
Wood elf gets wisdom which you don't make particular use out of, but otherwise it's fantastic. I think most of them are rangers or monks instead because they fill similar-ish roles and do make use of the wisdom.
>>
Does animating dead involve the person/spirit/soul/life force that was the corpse before? Or is it essentially just using a corpse as a puppet with magic?
>>
>>54274384
It's using it as a puppet in like 90% of cases IIRC.
>>
File: page_1.jpg (409KB, 1110x1492px) Image search: [Google]
page_1.jpg
409KB, 1110x1492px
>>54274348
I can't hear you over the sound of endless intrigue possibilities through competing secret organizations.
>>
>>54274345

Whoops. Was thinking of CBE. Mea culpa.
>>
>>54274373
It's actually a lot better since you can add your dex, but as a rogue it's not like you wont often have other things you need to do with your bonus action
>>
File: 1246844880308.gif (25KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1246844880308.gif
25KB, 100x100px
What fun stuff can you do as a Kensei since you can use pretty much anything?
>>
>>54274422
Whips.
>>
>>54274422
Playing literally any other monk archetype because any other archetype is more fun than 'I want to hit harder: the archetype'
>>
>>54274458

Is it at least good at hitting harder? Or is it one of those character choices that isn't all that good at the thing it's designed around doing?
>>
>>54274422
Old Kensai with a Lance.
>>
>>54274474
Oh, it is very good at hitting harder. Do not worry about that.
>>
>>54274458
It really did need a little more gimmick to it. It kind of has the bow thing making it the better "long ranged monk" (and by extension making sun soul less that more the "radiant" monk), but I wish they went a little more out there with it
>>
>>54274458

I just like the idea of being able to use Two Handed Martial Weapons, since I'll be playing a Planeshift Naga and can unarmed attack with my face.
>>
>>54274527
Even if you weren't a naga since you can still use a hand for magic when using a two handed weapon I don't see why you couldn't use it for an unarmed strike as well. Even if you couldn't kicking would still be on the table
>>
>>54274225
Also a hand crossbow still takes 2 hands to load, so you'd have to drop your shortsword and pick it up again every time you fired your crossbow. Not saying it can't be done, it's just a little goofy.
>>
>>54274637
I doubt he meant using a combo instead of 2 shortswords or a hand crossbow with crossbow master
>>
>>54274485
You can't use any heavy or special weapons as Kensei
>>
>>54272494
>Why did people have to bitch and whine them into being Charisma casters?
Because they've always been charisma casters, though 4E had a strong Int secondary aspect. I liked the Con-primary hellfire channeling aspect there.

>>54272645
I fluff it as the warlock using the kind of power that their patron teaches, which is usually powered by will, not rote memorization. I'd let an elder brain or lich mentor teach Int-based warlockery, for example.
>>
>>54274665
Thats why I said old Kensai.
>>
I want to be a paladin, but I want to be more than a smite dispenser. What do?
>>
>>54274692
war cleric
>>
>>54271821
"1 out of 3 ain't bad"
>mike "oh god I love 4e" mearls
>>
>>54274665

Oh, I was looking at the old Kensai, the new one seems less interesting. I can see why you told me to go something else, the old one seemed fun with reach weapons.
>>
>>54274692
Learn how to roleplay and build a character around the smiting
>>
Had an idea for a dwarf warrior who fights either by manipulating the earth/stone or using runes to augment his physical prowess.

I immediately thought of just reflavoring an Eldritch Knight and picking earth-related spells but a lot of the good/cool shit (3rd level spells) that a Wizard can learn early on an Eldritch Knight can't access until the campaign is already over.

Any help? Tips? Should I just give up on this idea?
>>
>>54274732
No, I've got that covered already, but I'm having troubles with the combat part. I've already played a devotion paladin before, and I don't want to be TOO similiar.
>>
So I just had my first player death
>Get to the bottom of the dungeon, a Hobgoblin castle, and kill the leader, who decides to blow everyone up
>Makes it back up to the top level with the rest of the party, falls back to the bottom when the floor collapses under him and takes a buttload of damage
>Survives the massive explosion that results, but almost dies as the castle collapses on top of him
>Gets pinned by rubble, escapes, then spends two turns choking on smoke
>Escapes at the last minute by diving into the latrine, which connects to an underground river
>Fights the lieutenant, a drow ranger, who's also attempting to escape the same way
>Stabbed with the lieutenant's magic dagger, putting him under 10 HP and poisoning him
>Still manages to kill the drow off with a rock

>Dies of poison damage after getting out of the water
>>
>>54271821
As a DM, would you allow this?
>Partial Wildshape
>Starting at your 2nd level, you may use your action to selectively wildshape part of your body to resemble that of a beast you can normally wildshape into.
>This counts as a use of wildshape, and you must adhere to all standard restrictions for a wildshape, including duration and eligible beasts.
>You may acquire any combination of two physical ability scores, proficiencies, abilities, action, natural weapon or movement speeds for the duration of the wild shape. At level 4, you may acquire any combination of three characteristics, and at level 8 you may acquire up to four.
>You retain all class abilities, and may continue to cast spells and/or use weapons and items as long as your partially wildshape form physically permits it.
>You cannot replace your health value or your mental ability scores with that of a beast's using partial wild shape.
>Natural Weapons of creatures larger or smaller than you adjust to your size; if the creature is smaller than you, increase their damage by one damage dice for each size category (natural weapons that deal 1 base damage count as 1d4). If the creature is larger than you, reduce their damage by one damage dice for each size category.
>If you acquire multiattack, it can only be applied to the natural weapons used by the creature.
>>
>>54274794

Well, at least he put in an honest effort.
>>
>>54273095
I like the mystic.
>>
>>54274701
>mike "oh god I love 4e" mearls
... is the joke that he actually fucking hated it?
>>
File: DnD Tactics.png (16KB, 818x137px) Image search: [Google]
DnD Tactics.png
16KB, 818x137px
>>54274867
>>
>>54274796
Sounds like more complicated than it's worth. I would just make a different archetype to play up the idea of a werewolf druid if you wanted to go that route
>>
Two questions:

1) What sort of Gish options are there in 5th edition? I know there's a path for the fighter in the Players Handbook, but is there anything else?

2) What options are there for pet based classes?
>>
>>54274784
Oath of Treachery from the Paladin UA
>>
>As a bonus action, you can bolster injured creatures with your Channel Divinity. Each creature of your choice that can hear you within 30 feet of you regains hit points equal to 1d6 + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1) if it has no more than half of its hit points.
That's pretty shitty tbqh
>>
File: 1494802317442.pdf (742KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1494802317442.pdf
742KB, 1x1px
>>54274979

Oath of Treachery has a really fun Aura at level 7, but the spells and features seem a little uh...counterproductive to a Paladin since they're about running away and letting your allies die.

I mean I guess it fits since they're Treachery Blackguards, but it doesn't really sit right with me.

What about the Oath in this PDF? I forgot I downloaded it a long time ago.
>>
>>54274913
I never understood this argument, presenting a game as a game is only a problem for autists who can't let go of their "immersion" and "realism".
>>
>>54274970
2) Officially, Beastmaster Ranger is the only pet-based class, but anything with find familiar or even find steed (Paladins) can have a pet; within the UAs, the Artificer can get a robot beast as a pet, and Wizards promoted one of the free homebrew Druid Archetypes on the Adventurer's Guild that provides an animal companion. Raven Queen Warlocks from the UA get the services of an immortal raven, but it's not very combat capable, like most familiars.
>>
>>54275019
I swear to fucking god, if it's that catgirl PDF...
>>
>>54275035
>742 kb
Seems likely anon.
>>
>>54275035
>>54275086

It's a lovecraft inspiried Archetype set.

No catgirls.
>>
>>54274970
How far down that hole do you want to go?

Entry Level: Magic Initiate Feat
Ankle Deep: Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster
Waist Deep: Hexblade/Bladelock, College of Valor Bard
Chest Deep: Moon Druid, Warlock2/Paladin
Neck Deep: Stone Sorcerer/Bard of Valor, Paladin
Can't wake up: Sorcadin, Battle Master5/Lore Master, College of Lore Bard/Sorcerer
>>
>>54274336
If you're not memeing me then good on you for creating a setting and shit. I find it hard to even get a map down.
>>
Would allowing a cleric to decide between potent spellcasting and divine strike at 8th level break anything?
>>
File: 1495663749117.jpg (87KB, 649x536px) Image search: [Google]
1495663749117.jpg
87KB, 649x536px
>playing Paladin of Kelemvor
>hate grave-robbing with a passion (it's in my fucking code)
>rogue had tried to steal from merchant NPC
>got caught due to being a shit rogue and I personally bailed him out, determined to set him on a righteous path
>said NPC is quest giver
>gives us information about an assassination attempt on a duke
>we make our plan and just before we leave the NPC is killed, presumably for reveling info
>rogue immediately takes the dudes coins as he lay dead on the street
>I smite evil and kill him
>pray to Kelemvor asking to have mercy on his soul during judgment
>rogue player gets pissy and derails the rest of the session

I feel like a that guy. Should I fall for this?
>>
Sup /tg/. I'm trying to get a game going come mid-august with some friendos.

It'll only be my second time DMing, and the first time was a bit of a shitshow bc we could only really play for about an hour a week (during lunch one year in highschool)

What advice do you have for a beginner DM? I'm planning on 5e bc it's what I've played most recently, and some newbies will be in the group.
>>
>>54275019
Not necessarily. Remember, you're a paladin, a team player, you make everyone better just by being within 10ft of them.

It's about being treacherous to others outside your circle. Expeditious Retreat let's you close quickly to your enemies, Invisibility is great for setting up and ambush and Mirror Image is nice because it isn't Concentration. Don't screw your friends over, screw everyone else over.

About the PDF, the Oath of Elder Sign is nice, somewhat tame but nice
>>
>>54275212

Well, he didn't actually rob the guy's grave, did he? I think that would count against you.
>>
File: EcG7zVj.png (194KB, 397x337px) Image search: [Google]
EcG7zVj.png
194KB, 397x337px
So lets see if I have this right about Greyhawk

>I want to move and make an attack
>Enemy rolls lower than me but wants to delay
>roll 2d6, roll a 3 for my movement and a 4 for my attack, 7
>move
>enemy positioning changes as they interrupt me
>decide not to attack
>save the "4" from my last attack roll for later, but on my next round roll for whatever additional actions I want to take or if I want to move again
>roll initiative again, another d6 for movement, its a 1
>new initiative is now 5

???
>>
>>54275212
Killing another player, even if it's "What your character would have done", makes you that guy.
>>
>>54275212
You are that guy. Stop playing a lawful stupid paladin
>>
>>54275212
>two strikes and you're dead, kiddo
Well, it's impossible for Paladins to Fall in an edition this hand-holdy for them but you're still a goober for MURDERING your fellow PC over such minor dickery.
>>
>>54275212
Guy played a Rouge. His fault for getting caught and killed. Player should man up, I have lost tones of chars and never bitched on it.
>>
File: 1494801594580.pdf (908KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1494801594580.pdf
908KB, 1x1px
>>54275254

I suppose. Again, I just really fucking love Treachery's Aura, it might not be the best thing since sliced bread, but fuck it's fun as hell.

More Lovecraft archetypes I had saved because why not. A bunch of Cleric Domains and Warlock Patrons.
>>
>>54275212
Did the rogue know it was against your religion? If not, you should have stayed your hand and just prayed for his forgiveness. If he knew it was against your god's word, though, fuck 'em.
>>
>>54275212
Yeah just tell him off and don't let him steal
>>
Is Dream the ultimate Assassin spell?
Freddy Krugering people repeatedly until they're dead from anywhere in the world seems rather strong, and IIRC there's really not any defense against it.
>>
>>54275292
Glad you like it Anon

Now with that Ghoul race I can put Dark Souls in my 5e, Giant Dad Battle Master!
>>
>>54275199
Nope
>>
File: shotgundwarf.jpg (144KB, 1024x771px) Image search: [Google]
shotgundwarf.jpg
144KB, 1024x771px
Create character concepts for the following class/archetype combinations:
>Sun Soul Barbarian
>Fiend Pact Bard
>Gunsmith Warlock
>Transmutation Fighter
>Storm Herald Paladin
>Primeval Guardian Druid
>Forge Wizard
>Circle of the Land Sorcerer
>Lore College Monk
>Samurai Ranger
>Horizon Walker Rogue
>Oath of Conquest Artificer
>Wild Magic Mystic
>Wu Jen Cleric
>>
>>54275260
>>54275301

>Respect for the dead only applies when they're 6' under in a pine box
>Looting dead bodies ever being culturally appropriate outside of a war zone

>>54275262

Gotta agree here though, killing is a bit extreme. Turn him in to the guards if you must, but using smite evil just causes drama.
>>
>Be DM
>Tried to do a simple puzzle for my players
>They find a mirror in the room they were in
>Next room they find two pedestals, both with two crystals on them
>The right crystal is shining a beam of light downwards
>There is a door between the two pedestals
>It took my players what felt like 15 minutes to figure it out
Are my players retarded or am I thinking in moonrune logic?
>>
>>54275492
>Next room they find two pedestals, both with two crystals on them
Wops, meant to say "A crystal on both pedestals" not two.
>>
>>54275476

Just trying to offer some loopholes he could have used to justify not being a team-killing asshat, is all.
>>
>>54275492
Who (in-universe) would ever put such a puzzle in their dungeon?
>>
>>54275212
Your paladin is evil.
>>
>>54275554
The wizard equivalent to the the riddle from batman.
It's a long story.
>>
>>54275441
>Fiend Pact Bard
>Pick_of_Destiny.jpg

>Forge Wizard
>Aka the Gun Mage

>Samurai Ranger
>Kung Fu starring David Carradine
>>
>>54275212
Is it really grave robbing if he isn't in a grave? Would this have happened if your group started taking stuff from enemies bodies?
>>
>>54275441
>Sun Soul Barbarian
name any Ripple/Hamon user from Jojo except William.
>Gunsmith Warlock
your average Hellboy/Constantine universe OC
>Transmutation Fighter
Most alchemists from Fullmetal Alchemist
>Wild Magic
I Don't Know What the Fuck is Going On Somebody Please Help - the Character
>Samurai Ranger
A man and his dog.
>>
>>54275212
>Should I fall for this?
You've already Fallen anon
>>
>>54275441

>Wild Magic Mystic

It's like Bruce Almighty, except with Cthulu instead of God
>>
>>54271961
At what point did you decide to start using /tg/ as your personal diary? Keep your thoughts on sexuality to yourself you autist.
>>
>>54275261
>>54275261
>>54275261
Pls help
>>
As a Cleric is it worth it to put 15 points into strength for heavy armor and mostly dump dex?
>>
>>54275744
just be a dwarf nigga
>>
>>54275755
Not everyone picks their races for mechanical benefits

>>54275744
Probably, if you can also get a good wisdom whilst doing that.
>>
>>54275261
>decide not to attack

^^^ That's where it all went wrong ^^^
>>
>>54275771
Fair enough, but he's already optimizing stats for mechanical benefits, so I figured I'd offer him a mechanically more expedient option.
>>
>>54275771
It's a good thing being a dorf Cleric is great besides mechanics, too.
>>
>>54275744
>Dex
Higher initiative
Higher acrobatics, stealth and sleight of hand
Higher dex save (Comes up more than str)

>Str
Higher AC
Higher athletics
Disadvantage on stealth
More weapon options

Pick what is more important to you
>>
>>54275744

Sure, cleric can do some respectable work as a frontliner, if that's what you want.
>>
>>54275789
There's a difference between "accomplishing" and "optimizing." I kinda see your point, but I think the question was more about str vs dex than about how to min-max either one of them.

>>54275815
Yeah, but so is anything else if it's a concept you like.
>>
>>54275231
In case you haven't heard of it, the Lost Mine of Phandelver is a really good module for beginners (both players and DMs). Just be sure to nerf the first dungeon a fair bit because level 1 characters are fragile and you can TPK them with unlucky rolls.
>>
File: 6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg (268KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg
268KB, 1600x1131px
>Curse of Strahd with a party of
>Redemption Paladin (And by that I mean Judge Dredd and not "muh never kill" pacifist)
>Inquisitive Rogue with about 200 gallons of Holy Water in a bag of holding they use for waterboarding
>Zealot Barbarian
>Cleric of Light
>All of them have the Inquisitor background
>All of them have 10 or less INT
>When asked pic related is their theme
Curse of Strahd is about to become a parody of itself.
>>
>>54275867
Jesus, do you really need 200 gallons of any water to waterboard anyone?
>>
>>54275744
Save on the Strength, take one level dip in Monk and SAD your MAD

Then fight in the nude with nothing but your faith in your god, your balls and your shield
>>
How viable/good is an Ancients paladin 12 /war cleric 8
>>
>>54275886
When someone cuts you a deal on 200 gallons of holy water, you'd be a fool to say no.

>>54275906
Unicorn/10
>>
>>54275441

>Sun Soal Barbarian
My body is imperfect, and my rage is something to be tempered by peace and meditation, used only as a tool of righteousness. My soul is divine, and I will one day ascend to the eternal council of my forefathers.

>Fiend Pact Bard
Orpheus

>Storm Herald Paladin
I was tasked with protecting the sacred lands of my peoples, and the tribal spirits have seen fit to grant me their protection in return for my years of service.

>Samurai Ranger
"I have watched the other races... I have seen their squabbling, their ruthlessness. Their wars do nothing but scar the land, and drive the wild things to extinction. No, they cannot be trusted. Only beasts are above deceit."
>>
>>54275771
>>54275822
>>54275841
Well I wanted to dump either dex or strength so I could put some points into Int and Charisma to represent my character being a more bookish sort.
>>
>>54275915
Thank you so much for your input anon, I will cherish it :^)
>>
>>54275886
Well it's not like they can pick it up and put it back in the bag.
It's actually just "kind of holy" water, as they just filled a barrel with sea water and mixed a bit of it in there
>>
>>54275188
I've had a bunch of ideas rattling around for a long time and making a setting for a PnP RPG let me flesh them out a bit, so I started slowly creating a world around that.
maps are also hard for me though, partly because I'm bad at drawing and partly because I have trouble consistently keeping things to the scale I want.
>>
>>54273682
That's what I want to do as well, honestly.
>>
>>54275927
Is your GM open to multi classing? Because it doesn't sound like you want to play a pure cleric, jus saiyan
>>
>>54273954
>the ultimate weapon
>>
>>54276006
What I want to play is a character that has more than 8 in all of their mental stats. Also I want to play a Cleric.
>>
>>54276019
>A weapon to surpass metal gear
>>
>>54274392
Plus the secret alien invasion, noir detective stories in an impossible city, and the wee barbarians who maraud from the backs of dinosaurs. Among other things.
It does a lot of rad stuff. It's like every pulp comic genre at once.
>>
>>54275906
MAD/10

Why not mix like stats for like? For example, Eldritch Knight/Wizard, Bard/Sorcerer, Paladin/Hexblade, etc...
>>
>>54276059
Because I think this is an interesting concept that is somewhat viable
>>
What do you guys think of the "Middle Finger of Vecna" site?

It has a ton of homebrew stuff on it. Can anyone attest to the quality of it?
>>
>>54276072
It's not.

You're sacrificing your overall saves for spell slots and a once per rest +10 bonus to one hit. That's it. Sorc, Bard and Warlock all give you way more without forcing you to sacrifice charisma.
>>
>>54273186
Swashbuckler - Mobility Focus and often gets their sneak attack.
Mastermind - When you're the man with the plan
Assassin - Heavy Opening Sneak attack and some masterful disguise tools
Arcane Trickster - MAGIC, MOTHERFUCKER! Tricks and treats all for me!
Thief - You take things
Scout - Little bit rangery
>>
Should my Assassin be a Human, Bugbear or Half-Orc? Purely from a fluff perspective.
>>
>>54271821

When was the last time the 3rd Party section of the Trove was updated?
>>
>>54276148
Okay anon keep minmaxing while I have fun interpreting nature's wrath I have 16s in str and wis at first level, I think I'll be fine :^)
>>
>>54276033
Anon, I think you answered you original question

Wis as high as you can go, then Con, then Str, then all other mental stats then dump Dex
>>
>>54276188
Half orc if you want to be a real man.
>>
>>54276191
>16 Str first level
> not 16 Con
> not Lucky
>>
>>54274258
>Macros that reference situational bonuses
Back when I played on Roll20, I had like a million macros for my Warlord. It's fun to have a macro for every situation but make sure to attach the attributes from your character sheet to each macro, otherwise you'll spend a while going through each one and modifying the values speaking from experience.
>>
>>54276190
Never
>>
File: We Jammin.jpg (126KB, 972x491px) Image search: [Google]
We Jammin.jpg
126KB, 972x491px
>>54274348

Ha, these groundlings barely even have steel. Hilarious. Isn't that just hila-

Wait, we're losing altitude!

Fuck!

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!
>>
>>54276239
>Playing a +2 con race
As much as I love dwarves I already have 3 dwarf characters
>>
>>54276188
Bugbear, because nobody expects the hairy goblinoid to Assassinate anything
>>
>>54271866
Paladin mostly, but Fighter gets an edge past lv11, especially if you take magic weapons into account.

>>54271901
My group has 13 people, but most sessions there's just about 5, counting the DM. It's been working out decently so far.

>>54271976
The company isn't called Sorcerers of the Coast, amirite?
At least Wizards can't twin Haste and subtle Counterspell.

>>54271993
Long distance rarely comes up, desu. Flight is good, but at least it's slower than aarakocra.
>>
>>54276191
Why do you ask if it's viable then dismiss negative responses?
>>
>>54276243
I like this image. How can I easily find 80's fantasy art? Really like that style. Very nice.
>>
>>54276269
Just getting opinions, none will change my mind though
>>
Is there such thing as an unarmored fighter? A mostly martial based sword wielder?
>>
>>54272016
Man really sad to see someone so upset about something that doesn't even affect them.
Just fuck a dude already, nobody is that against gays without being closeted.
>>
>>54276324
Kensai.

Lizardfolk

Or just a Fighter X/Monk 1. That could actually work alright on a DEX Fighter with decent Wisdom. Gets you a bonus action attack as well but you can't use a shield.
>>
>>54275906

Seems like there's a good opportunity to dump a few d8s into attacks with Improved Divine Smite and Divine Strike. Looks pretty cool on paper.

>>54276263

I personally like Genasi when I'm looking for +2 Con races, and I like the fluff.
>>
>>54276324
Barbarian 2/Fighter X.

Get 14 DEX and pump CON so you can end up with good AC, use a Longsword and keep a hand free for grappling. Not the best build, but it does the job of an unarmoured Fighter.

Maybe even pick up Mariner fighting style for +1 AC, Climb and Swim.
>>
>>54276324
barb
>>
>>54275867
You are going to have alot fun with this group.
>>
So I'm planning to play a War Cleric soon and wanted a very specific fluff for the guy but mechanically it isn't great.

I planned to take the Charger feat and use it nearly every round so I either get +5 Damage or a super shove. If I get stuck in melee, then I use War Priest to slaughter whoever's stopping me from moving and then Charge again next round.

Is +5 damage/super shove and double movement most turns worth a feat?
>>
>>54276355
Genesi are impure mutts of humanoids
>>
>>54272259
>"What do you do when you're born into darkness? You embrace it. You live for it, and take it in to your very soul. This is the essence of becoming a thief or an assassin. I was trained from birth by my mother, I had to be, given my heritage. Surviving became a daily routine, there were plenty out there who disliked my appearance and as I grew old it became more and more clear that the world won't give you a chance when you look the way do.
>So what's a young devil to do? He embraces the evil that the world seems to think of him. I tried being good once, tried proving that there's more to me than red skin and a tail, but most people don't care. I grew to enjoy it in the end, stealing and killing. Once I was old enough my mother and I agreed it would be best for me to go our separate ways for a time. She'd lived her whole life on the run, trying to protect me, it was only fair I gave her the chance to settle down and relax. So I took a job offer from the thieves guild. My mother had worked for them for years and with her training, it was an easy in for me.
>>
>>54276490
>And that was my life for a long time. I advanced in the guild with many successful jobs next to my name. We stole from the rich, we planned heists, we even managed to steal an entire dwarvish trade caravan in one night without leaving a single trace by the next morning. The thrill is what spurs me on the most, stealing is an opulence so many over look, but killing is the ultimate ecstasy. Not just outright murder for the sake of it, no, real killing lies in the art of assassination. To stalk your prey, to learn about them and plan your attack accordingly, to take the target's life in silence, and watch as their eyes fade into the darkness that feeds us all - that is true bliss.
>Taking assassination contracts on the side is what got me kicked out the guild, to no big surprise but I was happy enough to walk away. I'd earned a lot of coin for my mother to live on for the rest of her life so I set about on something new once I saw she was settled.
>I was in desperate need of a new thrill, so I started to take notice board quests. I wanted to apply my skills to this adventuring game I'd heard so much about. It was easy enough; retrieving lost heirlooms, protecting merchants, killing bandits, it was nothing I hadn't done a thousand times before it was just legal now, though it didn't pay half as well. It just meant I had to steal a few things every now and then to get by. Living on the edge of comfort made life interesting once more.
>That's when I heard of the trouble to the north. I decided to take advantage of the situation, as all rogues should, and made my way up to profit from the troubles of others. I expect there will be plenty of coin to be earned here!"
>>
(Half-)Elf Barb 2/Champion 15 with Elven Accuracy has almost 40% crit chance. Pretty nice.
>>
Is there a PDF of Mage Hand Press' Lovecraft Handbook floating around anywhere?
>>
>>54276324
Go fighter for your main class and then dip:

Monk1: If you use DEX weapons/ranged weapons
Barb 1: If you use STR weapons/thrown weapons

Monk gives you your bonus off you Wis and Dex bonuses added together and Barb gives you then off your Con and Dex bonuses added together
>>
What are good gifts for level 3/4 players about to leave their homes/monasteries/etc. And head into the wide world?
>>
>>54274035
They're the strongest weapon a rogue can TWF and Throw. Shortswords can TWF but can't be thrown. Darts can be thrown but not TWF, and aren't any better than daggers anyway. Rapiers can't do either.
>>
>>54276586
Lantern that never needs fuel.

Book of how to say some basic things in all the common languages.

Silvered dagger for a backup weapon.

Very tough to destroy map.

Ring with words of encouragement written on it.

Cloak of fur that resists cold very well.

Writing kit for sending letters home.
>>
>>54276586
Horses
>>
>>54273954
Wait are there actually polearms with ridiculous names like that? I thought that was just a joke in Kingdom of Loathing.
>>
How broken would wizard be if he also got sorcerery points?
>>
>>54276661
I'd probably lean more towards a ring that can cast the paladin spell find steed
>>
>>54271821
I picked up a new edition of the players Handbook as my old one fell apart.

Apparently they took the liberty of adding the Errata into the new print run. In which case how many versions is there and how can I tell which is which

Thanks.
>>
What are some good weapon names in general? What about titles or like, legendary names for characters? Stuff like the Crimson Winds of the North or whatever
>>
>>54276586
A discount on a last will document. Just in case.
>>
File: 1400653852939.png (342KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
1400653852939.png
342KB, 394x394px
>>54274336
>Make a 5e game over roll20 after friends beg me for years to do it
>learn the rulebook basically by heart, since I'm that kinda person
>Session 2 (not even 0-1, that's how fucking bad this is) shows up 5 weeks late
>"asshole the bard", the drow bard.
>"I dunno, can't think of anything" the Purple Dragonborn warlock of the great old ones.
>"Unpronounceable consonants" the same character the fucker made for 3.5 7 goddamn years ago, still somehow sans backstory, still actively refuses to roleplay in literally any capacity
>"it's just legolas, i guess"
and Three newbies who I don't feel like shitting on, who got pulled in completely unannounced by #1 and #4, one of which I had to kick for being too lawful stupid

>After begging me for years, and 6 weeks after I actively announce I can answer all questions, they show up with these
>less than a 3 months goes by and I'm consistently sitting on 3/6 players with no warning despite having no less than 5 methods of communication.
>Finally confront one of them and tell them to explain why they had me learn this if they don't come
>"oh, we just didn't feel like it, I thought I asked Purple dragonborn guy to tell you but I guess he didn't, oh well"
>I get fed up and tell them to fuck off

>the SAME FUCKING PEOPLE ask me to learn Shadowrun.
>in my own IRL SR game atm, odd coincidence.
>Guy running the game is the purple dragonborn fuck
>he PRINTED OUT the fucking 500+ page book instead of buying it.
>he has not read enough of it to understand any of the following: chargen, combat, any form of history, what deckers do, and what magic is in any way
>still tries to get me to sit in and basically run the game for him.

There is not a worse feeling, no. Do not try to game in any capacity with these people. They won't change.
Nothing has been changed for identity purposes because I hope those fucks read this.
>>
File: image.png (5KB, 175x159px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5KB, 175x159px
>>54276680
What you've never read second edition?

Dude there's more pole arms then you can shake the devil fork at
>>
Is a Whip worth it for a Spellsniper/Booming Blade build? I would like to go DEX but getting a Halberd for +3 damage seems better then having a Shield for +2AC
>>
File: 1485390136276.jpg (76KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1485390136276.jpg
76KB, 1280x1024px
>>54276490
>>54276505
What??? Maybe I just play under odd DMs but in my experience the only place where you'd experience THAT amount of prejudice as a tiefling is in ultra-superstitious backwater hick villages. In any medium to large size settlement no one cares that you've got dumb horns growing out of your forehead and would probably think you were a fucking nutcase if you broke out a speech like that.
>>
>>54276680
>kingdom of loathing
My man

Do you still play?
>>
>>54276510
Protip: MFoV doesn't enforce the optional "minimum one payment" rule on Patreon so you can just pledge to them, grab all their books, and then unpledge and they won't charge you a dime. It's up to you how dirty this makes you feel, though.

Anyway here, file is too big for 4chan: https://my.mixtape.moe/spzohg.pdf
>>
>>54274336
Having a player that seems to be there for the sake of it and not paying attention to anything.
>>
>>54276769
Mobile effectivelt does the same thing and may or may not be a better choice.
>>
>>54276774

But anon, if the world hadn't rejected him, how would he justify being a badass murderous douche?
>>
>>54276767
Unfortunately, I haven't.

>>54276803
Still have my original account since 2005, I've spent hundreds of dollars on it and don't plan to stop any time soon.
>>
>>54276844
I'm getting Booming Blade through Spellsniper. So it's basically either that or Mobile+Magic Initiate and I'd much rather be able to do it from level 4 then level 8.

I'm playing a Zeal Cleric so I get a 10ft. pushback on each hit I hit with it as well. So I guess I could just get Magic Initiate and use a Longsword or Maul though.
>>
>>54276875
Take a gander, friend
>>
>>54276769
I advise you to use the whip simply for the fact that it is the road less traveled.
>>
>>54276477
Why is it that people that care about racial "purity" are always weird overweight white guys with nothing going for them?
>>
>>54276858
Some people are just rotten. The allegedly "neutral good" aasimar cleric in one of my current parties seems to have no problem being an insane murderer.
>>
>>54276683
Not that broken.

The urge to play a Sorcerer2/Lore Master is rising though
>>
>>54276885
And all but the hook fauchard were also in 1st edition.

D&D Basic kept it simple and just lumped EVERYTHING under "polearm".

Have you read the 1st edition Monster Manual, too? So many of the humanoid races listed, when talking about the percentage of weapon choices in tribes, polearms were always at the top of the chain.
Gygax loved him some polearms.
>>
>>54276942
Why not just a straight lore master?
>>
>>54276930
You should start dropping hints, like clearly bad people coming up to him and recruiting him based on the legends they've heard about his ruthlessness.
>>
>>54276930
Heh, I've got this except it's a Chaotic Good Revenant EK Fighter.

In his defence, between all the eating of dead bodies and drowning prisoners in fountains, he does go visit an old farmer who's ex-order of the gauntlet and help him out.

I'm rolling a True Neutral Druid because my old character died, hopefully he gets the hint when I tell him to stop slaughtering random people.

Real issue is if I should use Hold Person or Heat Metal if he gets violent.
>>
>>54276875
>2005

You have me beat by a year.
I haven't seriously played in a while though and just don't see myself getting back into it. Want my account to see what you can salvage? I have a fair number of IOTMs but I'm pretty sure most of them are one time use stuff. There's a couple decent ones like the crown of Ed, camp scout backpack, and tiny plastic sword though.
>>
>>54276963
Good point anon, I was tempted by Metamagic quickened Int save grease

Just an attempt at compounding complexity and flexibility on top of each other to make some sort of magical seizure inducing character

The whole sorcery point conversion on the fly business could get crazy with Lore Master subbing out saves, damage types and generally being a hot mess
>>
>>54276930
>>54277011
I'm a LG cleric in a party with a C"""G""" Barbarian and Rogue. It's not nearly as bad as that, but I do get annoyed (both IC and OOC) about their muderhoboing.
>>
>>54276977
I was unclear, I'm one of this aasimar's fellow PCs. My character is pretty meek and the aasimar is really good at manipulating people and always manages to have some kind of plausible deniability, so my assessment of him as an insane murderer comes mostly from OOC.

I'd laugh my ass off if my DM did something like your suggestion though, because the aasimar's player probably wouldn't take it well.
>>
>>54277130
Suggest it to your DM. Or the next town you're in, go off on your own and find an NPC cleric serving the same god as the NG guy and express your concerns that he's gone down the wrong path and is in need of guidance.
>>
>>54277061
I play HC Boris and I'm decked out with every item I need, so thanks, but I'm good. I've never owned a TPS though. If you gave me one I'd probably put it in my display case just for the novelty value.

Insanimaniac2005 in-game if you feel like it.
>>
>>54275441
Broly
Devil went down to georgia
Zoids protag
Dwarven runic warrior mage, just a few more buffs than a regular ek
Hand of a storm god, bring the thunder
Cleric of a god of magical creation, building magic weapons / wands
Guy born with natural nature magic, born in a sacred spring or something and raised jungle book style
Back to back back to the past samuri jack, wacha. Hunting down !not!aku favored enemy (construct) greater favored enemy (fiend)
Sensi who has studied the ways of the multiverse
Interdimensional assassin, sent back in time to kill himself
The military industrial complex. Or if your a weeb the akatsuski
Guy with crazy mind powers awakening that he cant control
Is wujen the psy monk? If it is a mortal monk's body possessed by a god / has a god living inside him.
>>
>>54276266
Seconding.
Ive played a couple levels of a bugbear rogue. Put one of your expertise in intimidation and the other in stealth and constantly remind your dm that your are a 8 foot tall monster man that can practically disapear.
Also your bugbear once per combat dice double on crits and make you THE damage king at low levels.
>>
So guys, I wanted to make a Duergar Sun Soul Monk for irony-giggles, I'm just trying to come up with a decent backstory. Any ideas?
>>
>>54277185
I hate spoilers
>>
I've played a 3rd level game.
The orcs one-shot the monk on the first turn.

I've played another 3rd level game.
The minotaur one-shot the paladin on the first turn.

Yet another game. 7th level.
The fire giant two-shot the fighter across the first and second turns, even with the cleric healing him.

Again, another game.
The blue dragon one-shot the cleric and wizard with its breath weapon turn one, and put the paladin at 25% hp.

All different GMs. Is this a systemic problem, or have these guys all been fucking up the exact same way? If so, how do I tell them what they're doing wrong and get them to change?
>>
>>54277368
Have they all had reasonable ability scores, and reasonable HP? Because I think I was the only one who rolled HP right for a 3rd level game (and got a little lucky, but still) and I had 28 base hp, with a halfling rogue. Only two other people in a party of 6 had anything over 20, and they were 22 and 24.

Monk could have been shit AC. Paladin didn't have much excuse. The others I have no clue.
>>
>>54277368
Players are pretty squishy with a death save fallback that's essentially 'just ask the healer to heal you for 1 HP'

Death saves are the problem.
>>
>>54277368

Just remember that a 1 HP PC has the same offensive potential as a full HP PC. Going down is good, adds excitement to an encounter.
>>
>>54277368
>orcs at 3rd level
Orcs hit hard but are squishy as hell

>minotaur at 3rd
Possible with some luck, 3rd level players are still quite squishy.

>fire giant at 7th
Fighting a CR 9 is the party going against something above their pay grade. While players can take on higher and higher challenges the higher their level, there is still a risk that they are outmatched offensively, even against just a single creature. Especially a fire giant, which swings twice at +11 with 28 average damage.

>blue dragon
Their AoEs are incredibly strong and part of what make dragons so dangerous. Even a wyrmling can one-shot multiple low-level PCs with a well-place breath weapon.
>>
>>54277368
Could be one of many reasons:

1) The players are neglecting CON
2) The didn't read that you get your max hit die+con bonus first level
3) They didn't know that they can elect to take the average for their hit dice instead of rolling
>>
Reading over Volo's races again, and I have a question about Lizardfolk.

The Hungry Jaws trait, does the attack use Dex or Str? I assume you're proficient with your own mouth.
>>
>>54277613

Nevermind I'm retarded.
>>
>>54277613
It's an unarmed strike so Strength, and yes you're proficient. Monk's martial arts feature allows you to use Dexterity instead.
>>
>>54277613

>"If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage."
>"If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6+your Strength modifier"

They aren't that far from each other anon...
>>
>NEW THREAD
>>54277668
>NEW THREAD
>>54277668
>NEW THREAD
>>54277668
>>
>>54271821
> subsystem
So they're throwing away their 5e principle of "easy, simplify and smooth play" and going back to their 3.pf way? I knew we couldn't trust this guy.
>>
>>54277697
>martial character detected
It's an optional rule. Having an optional rule available doesn't suddenly make the standard rules more complex.
>>
>>54277697
There are plenty of subsystems in the game, including initiative, skill proficiency, backgrounds, races, and classes. They are just individual parts of the overarching machine.

In this case he means variant XP rules for rewarding social interaction and exploration, and alchemy rules for adding extra uses for tool proficiencies.
>>
>>54276758
>"it's just legolas, i guess"
I am so sorry.
>>
>>54271821

He forgot "not complex, just stupid."
>>
>>54278184

I think that might be covered under "I waited a month for this?"
>>
small rant. A player I often play with wanted to lead the party. Ok, fine. Turns out he is really bad at picking up clues. He's not stupid, he is graduating as an engineer. But he is really, really bad at diplomacy and strategy. I'm kind of glad his character died.
Thread posts: 385
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.