[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 408
Thread images: 41

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54260479
>>
>>54266113
How do we stop (((Mike Mearls))), lads?
>>
What's the best way to handle a short and aggressive settlement assault in terms of mechanics?

Essentially I built a lot of the campaign in advance (skeleton framework for building as we go). I put in a small sidequest where players would deal with an orc settlement that keeps raiding everyone, but then one of the leading players made a half-orc whose main thing is that he wants to help orcs become free and independent, so now they're defending the orcs. It's good fun.

But now the humans are going to launch an attack on the orcs to wipe them out, and the party will be involved in preparations and then defending during the siege itself. There are only about 50 orcs and the humans will have to come up a narrow cliff pass a few at a time, so it's just about plausible that I could use normal combat rules, but it could take a while and get a bit slow.

Is the Mass Combat UA worth looking at or is there a better way to do this?
>>
Taking 1 level of Mystic just for Soul Knife so I don't have to use a Rapier as the only fucking good finesse weapon.

Should I neck myself
>>
Any good homebrews for Warlocks with an elemental patron?
>>
>>54266139
Not as long as your DM is cool with it
>>
>>54266125
Just use the mob rules. Page 250 in the DMG.
>>
>>54266125

Draw a map of the area. Scatter some Mike n Ikes on the board and let those represent the players and their allies. Now use Hot Tamales as the opposing humans. Run it as a normal combat and spread some of the dice rolling to the players just so you're not a bajillion dice, and when the players defeat a human they can eat him as well.
>>
>>54266148
Why not just go fiend patron and use fireballs? You regain them after short rest, and can use a UA feat to cast a fireball as a bonus action when you eldritch blast. That will give you two damage types a turn
>>
>>54266177
I looked at them, but I don't know how well they work out in practice. Looking for input from people who've tested out a few different options.

>>54266183
I usually use sweets as enemy counters anyway, they have a lot of diverse shapes and colours which helps me keep track of the health count. Players love that they get to eat enemies, though they once ate all my enemies before I got to a battle.

That's a hell of a lot of numbers to keep track of though.
>>
>no thread topic

Allnright, this is now a gestalt thread.
What classes would you play?
How would you justify it RP-wise?
How do you balance encounters as a DM?
Would you grow tired of being OP, or is having more options fun if it's balanced?
>>
>>54266209

> That's a hell of a lot of numbers to keep track of though.

I find it with so many numbers to track, players are only going to track the numbers that are immediately relevant to them, so that leaves a lot of room for the DM to fudge/streamline numbers outside of immediate player relevancy
>>
>>54266230
>What classes would you play?

Rogue/Monk, probably. Go full animoo in my thiefiness.

>How do you balance encounters as a DM?

Gestalt monsters, obviously.
>>
>>54266120

We put up with his occasional UA bullshit because everyone keeps saying that his behind-the-scenes work is a large part of what made 5e into 5e, and we like 5e.

But we continue to make fun of the 5e bullshit so he doesn't get any bright ideas about going over Crawford's head and adding them to the core gameplay anyway.
>>
>>54266205

1. My player doesn't want an "evil" patron nor do they want an Archfey.

2. Their patron is an elder air elemental.
>>
>>54266230
Hunter Ranger/Knowledge Cleric

Then I become some Indiana Jones Motherfucker
>>
Do Mystics get too many Psi points?
>>
>>54266148
Depends. What element?
>>
>>54266419
Yes.
They also get too many features.
>>
>>54266148
>>54266331
>>54266447

Air.
>>
>>54266459
How? They barely have any unless they go Wu Jen.
>>
>>54266474
DISCIPLINES

Only soulblade doesn't get the extras and it's the only Mystic i allow on my table.
>>
I've never played a Rogue before.

How do they even deal damage effectively? Are you supposed to use TWF or just use a ranged weapon?
>>
>>54266139
If you havent already, you might try to talk to your DM about gaining the soulknife ability as part of your class instead of something else that youre not gonna use/need that your class gives you? Usually if you give the reasons why or present it without looking too much like an optimizing autist, most DMs will let you do it.
>>
>>54266459
I allowed one of my players to go Mystic, because I wanted to allow my players a high level of freedom after we got out of our last campaign (which was run by someone who said no to everything).

The caveat was that I could nerf it at any time. So far, I reduced the features they could take by one from level one, and banned Nomadic Mind. But the psi points seem to scale up pretty rapidly, and I have concerns that they'll be able to power out too many "spells" for what they are.

How would you recommend nerfing psi points or their limitations? My primary issues so far have been him summoning Shadows (Mastery of Light and Shadow) because they're fuckin' powerful when he can just resummon them constantly, and the Wall of Wood from Mastery of Wood and Earth. The limitation is concentration, but he's got high CON and he can just resummon due to the psi amounts they take.
>>
>>54266351
He's clearly a Rogue.
>>
>>54266514

It is basically Warlord.
>>
>>54266537
All the power comes from Sneak Attack. Optimal build is hand crossbow with Crossbow Mastery, but you can deal out a decent amount with two weapons, especially if you take a dip in something for extra attack.
>>
>>54266558
15 minute workday much?
>>
>>54266460
>>54266331
>>54266148
why not use one of the already made one and just refluff shit to fit? Change things to force, thunder, or lightning damage and such, shouldnt be too hard, it mostly boils down to fluff anyways.
>>
Anyone has some idea for a 1920s character? Not that familar with that setting
>>
>>54266113
>Anyone has some idea for a 1920s character? Not that familar with that setting
correction a 1920s in SPACE setting
>>
Should the grave clerics channel divinity (Touch an enemy, make them vulnerable to the next attack) have some sort of attack roll or saving throw? It seems weird that it doesn't
>>
File: Mark.png (732KB, 1219x741px) Image search: [Google]
Mark.png
732KB, 1219x741px
>>54266120
We just have to keep him away from whoever is handling rules. His actual setting and fluff writing is really good. But my god his tweets about rules and this...thing...are awful.
>>
>>54266578
Even in dungeons where I only allow them short rests, it doesn't make a significant difference.

In each session, they generally either go to a dungeon, or they hang around the sandbox.

In the first case, there's usually 3-4 fights (otherwise it gets dull) with at least one of them running a high risk of a PC death (though no one has yet). They can get a short rest between each if they do it sensibly. It just about works at the right power level for that.

In the latter, they take regular long rests while travelling back and forth, and they might have one fight in each location, but that doesn't provide a suitable cap on his powers.
>>
File: 1490316894018.gif (1MB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
1490316894018.gif
1MB, 500x273px
Would letting Sneak Attack work with unarmed break the game?

I wanted to play a Race with a built in Natural Weapon as a Rogue, but Sneak only works with finesse.
>>
>>54266620
>>54266630

>1920's in space

The 1920's where? The Roaring Twenties of the US was wildly different from the instability Europe was experiencing after WWI and leading into WWII.
>>
>>54266674
I don't see it being too bad. They can only sneak attack once per turn anyway, so it's not like they can multiclass monk and sneak attack an entire flurry of blows or anything.
>>
>>54266674
Should be OK, i believe.
>>
DM here...
What would some good puzzles be involving the moon in a dark forest populated with werewolves?

Also, I need help thinking of a puzzle for a Flesh Golem's Castle.
>>
MYSTIC AND ARTIFICER REVISIONS FUCKING WHEN, MIKE? YOU SAID THEIR NEXT ITERATION IS AL LEGAL
>>
>>54266674

Shouldn't be too out of line. Your options are what, Lizardfolk bites (1d6+Str) and Tabaxi claws (1d4+Str)?

It's on par with what you'd probably choose for weapon damage anyways if you were building a Strength Rogue, which makes you pretty MAD depending on what archetype you want to pick up.

I'd allow it.
>>
What could you do with a magic item that had an antimagic field that you can toggle on and off?
>>
>>54266689
probably roaring 20s
>>
>>54266120
Activate the Giga Attack, obviously.
>>
>>54266875
Too late, Mearls already wrote an UA article nerfing Giga Attack and removing any synergy it had with the rest or your abilities.
>>
File: die.png (117KB, 249x452px) Image search: [Google]
die.png
117KB, 249x452px
>>54266120
The same way we stopped 4e.
We just go back to Pathinder instead
>>
>>54266901
You can't nerf the Giga Attack (which obviously is not just "my" Giga Attack of course).
That's what makes it the Giga Attack.
Well, that and the Giga I guess.
>>
>>54266762
>DM here...
>What would some good puzzles be involving the moon in a dark forest populated with werewolves?

The players have to sneak through a den of restless-but-not-hostile lycans in their wolf phase. They reach a door that is magically sealed that has a garbled inscription on it. The door will open if the inscription is translated and read aloud but the twist is that the inscription only reveals itself if it is illuminated by moonlight.

>Also, I need help thinking of a puzzle for a Flesh Golem's Castle.

Plot Twist: The castle is the Flesh Golem
>>
>>54266762
>Also, I need help thinking of a puzzle for a Flesh Golem's Castle.

This: >>54266941 but taken a step further, so each room is part of its organs. To get through the gate, they have to aggravate the uvula, to get through the stomach they have to leap from floating food piece to food piece, etc.
>>
Posted this in the old thread, but after this one was made.
To the guy making unarmed archetypes for different classes, I've got some ideas for the ranger fluff.
Have it be about surviving with nothing or maybe sustainability? Maybe to understand your quarry you must fight like them?
>>
>>54266120
You guys are so assblasted and butthurt. I like his stuff. The UA is a good addition, and even cases where it is unbalanced you don't have to play it or can ban it, so I don't see what the issue is
>>
File: dismissive mearls.png (221KB, 511x439px) Image search: [Google]
dismissive mearls.png
221KB, 511x439px
>>54266120
>tfw a keyboard Nazi wants you to stop making content for D&D.

But seriously, the easiest thing to do is to have Mike Mearls give ideas, but have Crawford either give them a decent writeup, or in the case of UA Luke like this one, gently explain to him why it's a bad idea. Mearls has good ideas, but he doesn't have the Crawford-level of autism to make things simultaneously fun and fast.
>>
>>54267235
What the fuck is this nonsense
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 1536x1255px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 1536x1255px
>>54267186
You're right sir! That's why it's going in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, available this November.
>>
I like Mearls
>>
>>54267283

you didn't type it right, it's (((((Mearls)))))
>>
>>54267283
Mearls get out
>>
File: 1499724316679.png (972KB, 816x981px) Image search: [Google]
1499724316679.png
972KB, 816x981px
This was based on Dishonored, right?

What do you think of it? Seems kinda fun, although I'm not sure how it fares power wise.
>>
>>54267283
I like him for the same reason I like George Lucas. Without him I wouldn't have something that I thoroughly enjoy, but he needs to be reigned in or he's going to ruin everything.
>>
What's your favorite STR class/build?
>>
What exactly is it about Mystic that is so overpowered? I'm not trying to defend it or anything, I'm just curious as I've never played it/seen it in play and people complain about it a ton.

I just wanna do cool mind stuff
>>
>>54267336
Muscle wizard
>>
>>54267339

it's just really versatile, and some people feel that it makes them too good.
>>
File: psionics.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
psionics.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>54267339
>>54264484
>>54264510

Also copy-pasting for memes
Just off the top of my head:

1. Simplicity. Psionics adds an entirely new, parallel set of magic to the system that all of 5e has used to date. Any players or DM that wants to use psionics has to learn an entirely new set of "spells", "casting" rules, and interactions with existing rules.

2. The new interactions conflict with (nerf) the existing balance/usefulness of several parts of the game including spells (Counterspell), at least one feat (Mage Slayer), and every rule or feature that triggers or interacts with "spells" (since Psionics is explicitly not spellcasting). This steps on the toes of those races, abilities, classes, and feats that interact with magic or the existing spellcasting system.

3. Expanding on 2, lack of interactivity. 5e combat (and even social encounters to a degree) are inherently about altering your behavior as a reaction to the the environment, the NPCs, and your party. Before Psionics, when a magic user tried to alter a social or combat situation with magic, everybody present had a chance to see it and could act accordingly. The only exception to this rule was a sorcerer investing build resources and class resource to Subtly cast a spell (and even in that case they still have to be touching a focus). Psionics gets to completely bypass this pillar of the game for free- no investment required. Every discipline or talent a Mystic uses gives no indication it is about to occur, no way to prevent it from being "cast", and little indication of who or what caused it. This near-immunity moves the game away from interactivity to a space where Mystics simply get to do magic while others must always try to cast.
>>
>>54267339
See last thread's >>54264484 and >>54264510.
>>
>>54267339
It suffers from the same problem that psionics faced in 1e and 2e, in that it's versatile to the point of not needing anyone else. You get ranged damage, melee damage, crowd control, healing, social abilities, and an overall high degree of utility.
>>
>>54266860

Depending on what the exact setting/campaign calls for;

>Musician (for examples, look at Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby)
You either made it big and are now on the decline, or you're trying to find your place amongst the rising stars who will forever define a scene. Your style might considered true art just yet, so your gigs are probably in seedy, low-bar places, or you might be just like all the other styles, but not the spring chicken you used to be in an age of crooners and heartthrobs.

>smuggler/bootlegger (the beginning of gangsters like Al Capone, and 'the mob' as a general archetype who found themselves a desired commodity as rum-runners in Prohibition-America)
Something you used to be able to get just about everywhere is illegal, but only because the morons in charge think the common folk aren't responsible enough to handle it. Those with enough 'responsibility' (read, money) can turn to you for help to get their fixes.

>Snobby Socialite (The Great Gatsby, basically)
Money always talks. While you might not personally be the person who technically owns that money, you have the proper connections to make sure you can pay for whatever catches your eye. You throw excessive, lavish parties, and always expect other people to take care of things afterwards.

>Victorious 'Suffragette' (Women made large strides in gaining voting rights and very slowly started to enter the work force)
Your species/gender/whatever has recently been granted a lot more personal rights than in general history. You worked hard to get those rights too, and you won't let anyone get in your way. The elder generation might see you as nothing but an upstart who, until recently, needed to be shown their place.

>the broken soldier (WWI saw the first allusions to PTSD, then usually referred to as 'war neurosis' or 'war strain')
They say war never changes, but it sure seems to have gotten worse recently. Home just can't be home after the things you saw.
>>
How many humans would be sent to clear out a tribe of 50 Orcs, assuming they're bringing three trebuchets and two rams in preparation? I'm thinking 500, because their general doesn't fuck around and also wants to set up the location as a staging point for a war on the elves.
>>
>>54267472

>The war on the elves

Who's at War with them, the Orcs or the Humans?
>>
Hey guys. Playing in a campaign, Human paladin just hit 4th level. Planning to class into Sorcerer.

Currently has 18 in strength and 16 in Charisma, and picked up Shieldmaster from being a Vuman, and dueling fighting style. Planning to take Warcaster for 4th level.

Is this a good idea?
>>
>>54267511

>or
>>
>>54267472
>Hey Bob, let's go kill 50 guys in a camp that are armed only with axes and hide armor.
>Sure thing, I'll go get my siege equipment and a Roman cohort of men.
>>
>>54267536

The only correct answer, I would have also accepted "Both". You pass.
>>
>>54267544

hey if you want to wipe out a tribe of orcs there's no reason to half ass it.
>>
>>54267511
No one is currently. The human general wants to start a war with the elves for revenge, the elf chancellor wants to start a war with the humans.

The orcs want to wage war on both sides for various reasons, both sides just want to push the orcs off the map.

>>54267544
This is sort of what I'm wondering. The orcs are a menace and known to be vicious and strong, and the human general wants enough men and supplies there that she can feasibly establish a long-term base without it seeming unreasonable, but how many can I get away with throwing into the fray?
>>
So I finally get to play in a game after being forever DM, as my group is mixing things up now that I don't have time to DM prep.

We rolled for stats (yeah, I know) and I got a spread of 14 17 8 7 10 14 in order. Thinking of going half-elf valor bard and doing archer build (bumping dex and int to even numbers), because it looks like concentration is out of the question.
Any other suggestions for some fun things I can do with this array without being useless?
>>
>>54267582
>how many can I get away with throwing into the fray?
Depends on how well off the city/kingdom/empire this army is coming from is. If they can spare 1000 soldiers for a smallish orc raid and have enough supplies to last through the winter without all those men, sure. But more likely, there are some internal struggles, possible invasions and other things that require soldiers to be stationed in the city or sent to other places to do other things. Also keep in mind how far away it is, a week-long march is much more expensive per man than a one-day skirmish is. It can make sense that there are 1000 soldiers there, but it can also make sense that they couldn't spare more than 20. All up to you and the details of the place/s.
>>
>>54267528
get to fifth level first, and at that point you may as well make it to 6th
>>
>>54267582

Not him, but if everyone is a soldier and a reasonable craftsman (legionairre) where they're expected to be able to establish a foothold quickly; maybe 75-100 men. If you need to bring builders and engineers for the siege equipment (which seems odd, just bring the equipment after the supply chain has been established, having siege equipment sit around while something is being built is super suspicious), then maybe a force of 150 with 25-50 "non-combatants".
>>
>>54267528
With those stats you can't go wrong. Just do whatever you want.
>>
>>54267544
>implying that isn't actual roman tactics
Either the Orc tribe
>surrenders in the face of being hopelessly outmatched
or
>choose to fight, whereupon you wipe them out with minimal casualties.
In either case, you get to claim the survivors as conscripts for your frontline, take them as slaves, and appropriate their THICC green women as 'comfort' for your soldiers.
>>
>>54267472
If the general has 500 men to spare, then he certainly has at least 10 or 15 guys with the statblock of a veteran. Just send them in at the middle of the day when the orcs are sleeping (assuming your orcs aren't retarded enough to do their raids in the day).
>>
File: 1477695609293.jpg (107KB, 644x830px) Image search: [Google]
1477695609293.jpg
107KB, 644x830px
>>54267673
>appropriate their THICC green women as 'comfort' for your soldiers.

I think I'd rather stick my dick in a weedwhacker than corrupt it with whatever horrible diseases the wild boars are carrying.
>>
File: IMG_0981.jpg (90KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0981.jpg
90KB, 600x547px
>>54267684
>implying I'd want my dick anywhere near one of those horrible monsters

Theres a reason that most halforcs don't have fathers
>>
>>54267528
How do you narratively justify suddenly manifesting sorcerer powers?
>>
File: 1461318117229.png (429KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
1461318117229.png
429KB, 640x544px
>>54267724
Never underestimate what a true Mary Sue can pull out of his ass!
>>
>>54267724
Change it wizard and hit your 30th birthday.
>>
File: 1417540007810.png (245KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
1417540007810.png
245KB, 595x842px
>>54267697
Get your faggot shit out of here.

Western civilization would never have gotten off the ground if it weren't for the common legionary raping fertile celtic barbarian women.

If it's good enough for them, then it's certainly good enough for my magical realm.
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>54267741
That only works if you're a virgin when you turn 30 though.
>>
>>54267724
Hitting puberty
Getting hit with a barrel of cursed waste from a sorcerers workshop when your town was under siege
>>
>>54267302

Very clearly based on Dishonored. Does a good job laying out a Roguelock archetype that looks fun. The power levels are awful.

Secret Step is massively powerful, especially for a Rogue. Not so bad if it was meant to be the biggest perk of the archetype, but maybe too strong in context.

Otherworldly Omens would be fairly powerful if it was just silent Thaumaturgy. As is it's that plus a poorly-explained mechanism for rolling the two "key" rogue abilities at what seems like permanently advantage is massive, assuming the intent is that the Rogue get both the cantrip and the ability check for one action.

Pilfered Power looks good but it might just be in comparison to the rest of it.

Shifting Moments is awful. It's distinctly un-5e, would be miserable to actualy play over the board. The sad thing is for all the clunk it's not even that great because of rule interactions.

Debts Called In seems fine power wise given that it's ultimately an alternate death mechanic.

This seems like a great 2nd draft. The ideas are solid and the mechanics are on-paper interesting, but it's really not ready for play yet.
>>
File: Player Character Drives Plot.jpg (119KB, 721x621px) Image search: [Google]
Player Character Drives Plot.jpg
119KB, 721x621px
>>54267744
At least the celtic barabrarian women were, you know, people, and not wild pigs. We're talking about the birth of civilization here, not the American deep south.
>>
>>54267724
My sorcerer dip druid got his draconic powers from getting his insides destroyed by the strongest alchohol that he could steal, made with read dragon's blood
>>
>>54267787
But anon, Half-orcs are better than humans AND orc in every way
>>
>>54267767

So you wouldn't recommend playing it then?

A shame, I was looking for a "fun" Rogue Archetype that I could combine with 1 Level of Mystic for Soul Knife so I'm not forced to use a Rapier for the 8 millionth time seriously why the fuck don't rogues get some sort of bonus for using daggers christ
>>
>>54266331
>>54266460

How's this look?

The Sormfather is a nice name, so I'll use that.

Come up with a list of bonus spells that you feel is reasonable; this is open enough that there's several options.
I like: Fog cloud, Dust Devil (EEPC spell), Call Lightning, Freedom of Movement (or storm sphere, if you want to go full killy), Cloudkill.
This is a reasonable mix of useful and violent spells, I think.

Level 1 benefit:

Stormfather's Blessing:
Starting at 1st level, your link to the Stormfather allows you to serve as a conduit for the power of the storm. You have resistance to lightning and thunder damage, and when you cast a spell that comes from the Stormfather bonus spell list, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage. Additionally, you gain Auran as a bonus language.

Level 6 benefit:

Lightness of Air:
Starting at 6th level, you can cast the Levitate spell on yourself without requiring spell components or using a spell slot. As a reaction, you can cast Levitate when an enemy causes you to enter their reach; the vertical movement from this reaction does not provoke an opportunity attack.

Once you cast the spell in this way, you can't do so again for 10 minutes.

(Cont)
>>
File: tism.jpg (31KB, 600x608px) Image search: [Google]
tism.jpg
31KB, 600x608px
>>54267803
Lolwhut?
>>
>>54267724
his patron diety granted him magic powers as a reward for his devotion.
>>
>>54267825

Level 10 benefit:

Stormfather's servants:
At 10th level, you gain the services of a minor elemental. The Stormfather's servant is an invisible, formless mass of air. It has AC 14, 1 hit point, a strength of 6, a fly speed of 50 feet and cannot attack.

As a bonus action, you can mentally command the servant to move up to 50 feet and interact with an object. The servant can perform simple manual tasks that involve lifting and moving objects and is intelligent enough to understand simple conditional statements (such as 'pull the leaver if the orc stands on the trapdoor').

If the servant moves more than 200 feet away from you, it performs no other actions than attempting to reach a space with 50 feet of you. If it is unable to move within 50 feet of you within a minute, it is banished.

If the Stormfather's servant is killed or banished a new servant will attend you at the end of a long rest.

Level 14 benefit:

Stormfather's favour:
Starting at 14th level, when you hit a creature with an attack you can use this feature to summon a stormcloud that follows the target for one minute. The storm cloud occupies a single 5-foot space immediately above the target and follows the target's movements. At the beginning of each of the targets turns, one of the following effects of your choice occurs:
A bolt of lightning flashes down from the cloud to strike the target, dealing 2d10 lightning damage
Strong winds buffet the target, pushing it 10 feet in a direction of your choice and dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage
The stormcould produces a thunderclap. Each creature, other than yourself, within 10 feet of the target must make a Constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. On a failed save, the creature takes 1d10 thunder damage and is deafened for three rounds.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>54267336
Stone Sorcerrer with a Greatsword.
>>
>>54267761

Only 1 year to go!

Once I'm 30, I assume it's like getting 1 level in Wizard yes? So I need to wait till I'm 47 until I can cast Wish?
>>
>>54267724

Fluff on origins seems pretty vague. From the book, it sounds like either bloodline or events can 'unlock' inborn magic.
>>
>>54267803

You've got to start half-orcs somewhere.
>>
>>54267336
How about a nice, healthy dose of barbarogue
>>
>>54267803
GREENED
>>
>>54267847
>>54267825
I expected this to be really OP. However, it seems really underwhelming. I'm just not sure I understand why.

Why is the storm father enlisting warlocks?

Why aren't you doing what the other guy said and just refluffing?
>>
>>54267472

1 Orc War Chief, 4 Eye of Grumsh, 45 Orcs = 37,000 adjusted XP against 1 lvl 1 character.

1 Knight leading 7 teams of 1 Veteran and 9 Guards per team = 35,875 XP against 1 lvl 1 character. "Fair" Fight.

Leader + 10 teams = 49,750 adjusted XP. Unfair fight.

Leader + 12 teams = 59,000 adjusted XP. Rout.

1 Knight and 499 Guards = 65,875 adjusted XP.
Near-Slaughter.

Leader + 15 teams = 72,755 adjusted XP. Total-Slaughter.
>>
>>54267336
Dual wielding Paladin. Vengeance or Ancients both work pretty well for it.
>>
>>54267336
Barbarogue
>>
>>54267996
I dig it. Much appreciated anon. Mechanics are going to take some thinking out so the party (who are supporting the orcs) don't a) get slaughtered, b) get bored, but your numbers make it much more approachable.
>>
>>54267840
>his patron diety granted him magic powers as a reward for his devotion.
As opposed to the magic he was already getting from his patron deity? You know, since he's a paladin?
>>
>>54267761
He did say he was playing a Paladin.
>>
>>54266674

As long as you aren't planning any weird Monk multi-class stuff it should be fine. I don't know if its OP levels of broken, but improving your natural weapon dice through Martial Arts and making your unarmed strikes/natural weapon attacks able to use Dex instead of their intended strength ON TOP of sneak attack might be a bit jank, but I don't know how to run the numbers on that kind of thing.
>>
>>54267993
It's underwhelming because I'm offering it to the guy asking about pacts for an air elemental, and I don't want to suggest something bullshit. And I actually think the L10 ability is still too stronk, but is there to compensate for the relatively poor L14 and lack of dedicated invocations.

I don't know why the Stormfather is enlisting warlocks, ask >>54266331

I assume he didn't want to just refluff, since all of the pact benefits are actually quite mechanically linked to the patrons?
>>
>>54267823

Personally, I wouldn't try to play it as-written because it's going to require too much DM attention in regards to what "appropriate" nerfs, buffs, and rule interactions are required and that's wear-and-tear on everybody.

What I might do is use it as a starting point to discuss the possibility of a Corvo-inspired archetype but work with the DM to try and make it out of more straightforward mechanics.
>>
>>54268091
It wouldn't be too broken as a 1 level monk dip would be practically the same as a 1 level fighter for TWF dip. At higher levels all it does it let the rogue use a rapier for their main attacks and then unarmed strike for bonus action giving them +2 damage a round with extra attack.

What it would however do is make the choice between dual shortswords and rapier+shield for other rogue multiclasses tipped a lot more towards rapier+shield because one of shortswords' advantages is you can grapple with one shortsword hand and still sneak attack with the other, but now you've left it as 'you can drop the rapier and then punch them and still get sneak attack'.
>>
>>54268034

You are quite welcome. Good luck.
>>
Alright.

I'm set on playing an Immortal Mystic, using Unarmed Attacks.

Tell me what the PROBLEMATIC disciplines are so I can avoid being an overpowered do everything piece of shit character. Is it seriously just Nomadic Mind?
>>
>>54267799

Funny, I made a half orc that became a sorcerer after his tribe Hero killed a red dragon and he ate the meat.
>>
>>54268234
Pretty much all of them. It's a class for people who feel a need to shove their shitty anime OC's into a DnD game.
>>
>>54268258
Fun, never heard of a half orc sorcerer before
>>
>>54268266

What, really?

I just wanna be M Bison cmon dude.
>>
>>54267597
Variant Human Hand Crossbow Fighter.
By level 6 you'll have 20 DEX, Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter. Then you're free to do whatever you want, like bump this fucking CON.
>>
>>54268130

Getting that bonus action doesn't seem worth it to a rogue. You have to; wear no armor, use no shields, and only use monk weapons. At that point, you might as well just build a monk.
>>
So bit of a problem I need to resolve.

I'd set up a fairly generic game to get us started. We made characters then the players started in Neverwinter and were summoned by Lord Neverember who was meant to task them with slaying an ogre wrecking havoc on a nearby farmland in daggerford for 100 gold pieces . I'd planned it a bit more in-depth than that but that became irrelevant anyway.

The half-orc barbarian immediately said to NeverEmber 'i care not for killing this ogre, make me Lord of Neverwinter and give.me the Crown of Neverwinter. ' then he rolled intimidate and got a nat 20. We were all shocked but I had to follow the rules.

So he became Lord of Neverwinter and appointed the rest of the party as various powerful positions within the city. Treasurer, spymaster etc. I ended it there as I had no idea what to do next.

I'm pretty new and wasn't ready for a game about political intrigue. Though for all I know they'll just take all the money from the treasury and abscond. How do I handle this?
>>
>>54268397
>wear no armor, use no shields, and only use monk weapons
If you have at least 16 wisdom (Pretty plausible) you have actually +1 AC over a normal rogue. With 14 wisdom you have +0 AC but you can go unarmoured.

Monk weapons are shortswords, so no real issue there. Even better if your DM allows quarterstaves to sneak attack too so you can get something practically as good as rapiers. And you won't have shields since you're not a barbarogue/fighterrogue.

After level 5, a monk doesn't get much damage progression, so it's plausible that someone might multiclass into rogue to continue damage and get various other things like stealth expertise. Works well with shadow monk.
>>
>>54268515
>We were all shocked but I had to follow the rules.
What fucking rule says that everything goes the party's way when you get a nat 20?
There is no such thing.

You can't just go up to a king with a 1/20 chance of instantly becoming king by threatening him.

He'd hand over the crown and then come back with a load of guards and slaughter the half-orc.

Honestly though if you want a lighthearted joke game like that then it's fine to do stupid shit like that, as long as your players are having fun with it.
>>
>>54268515
Did the barbarian roll higher than a 30, if not he shouldn't be the king, and I honestly think a dc 30 is too low to just become king
>>
>>54268515
You can't crit on ability checks. He rolled a 20.

I'd say the odds of that working are nearly impossible, which the PHB defines as CR 30 (page 174). So unless you has a +10 to Intimidate, you don't have to do shit.
>>
>>54268515
>nearby farmland in daggerford
You could've been more subtle.
Still, 7/10, lots of people are responding.
>>
File: 1429525484226.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1429525484226.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>54267744
>if it weren't for the common legionary raping fertile celtic barbarian women.
Wasn't that punishable by death? Designing a somewhat dark !Roman empire now, wanna know how far I can go. Though.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartime_sexual_violence#Antiquity
>>
>>54268515
this is some good bait, anon.
>>
>>54268515
Was this 5e? Nat 20s don't exist on skill checks. It's just a really high roll+modifier.
>>
>>54268607

Just because there's a punishment for it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, anon.
>>
>>54268561
>>54268562
You're responding to b8, but you're also giving bad advice. A king is not going to let some level 5 punk intimidate him into handing over the crown. Even a DC30 check is inappropriate. It's just flat impossible.

Now, if your player is truly set on becoming the lord of Neverwinter, you should make that possible, but not with a single DC30 check. That's a campaign unto itself.
>>
>>54268627
exactly
>You there! Soldier! Did you rape this woman?
>No sir!
>Carry on, then!
>>
>>54268632
>Hurr even if you cut off my head I'll never hand over the crown! Not even if you scare me and convince me really well it's a good idea!
>His head is cut off
>Wow that was smart
>He could have just fucking handed over the crown and come back with his guardsmen to kill the interlopers but no, he had to have his head stuck up his arse even on a nat 20 to convince him it's a stupid idea
>>
>>54268647
>king invites murderhobos into his palace
>doesn't have a strong guard next to him at all times

Never DM.
>>
>>54267350
Does this actually work? I figured something like muscle wizard wouldn't be possible with how few options there are in 5e.
>>
>>54268667
You can sort of do it as a warlock now.
>>
>>54268632
I love it when people think "Oh no! He's scary! Better do what he says!" instead of "Oh no! He's scary! Guards, stab him until he's no longer scary!"

Now, of course, if after that exchange the dude beats all the guards into the ground, the king might just be "Oh, you mean THIS crown, yeah sure buddy it's all yours!"
>>
>>54268667
One level of wizard, rest in monk, gives you shield i guess
>>
>>54268664
It's implied there aren't any guards in the room because the DM was a shit DM.

I would definitely have guards in that room, but in this case there are no obvious guards, so his only option is to hand the crown over.

There might've been a reason for a lack of guards, though.
>>
>>54268692
the reason being the King is dumb as fuck?
>>
What's the best familiar to take from pact of the Tome that isn't boring AF owls? Im thinking weasel for stealth and general shenanigans.
>>
>>54268692
I don't see where that's implied. Again, never DM.
>>
>>54268703
Even if the king is dense that doesn't mean his guard captain or advisors are.
>>
>>54268706
>he fell for the tome meme

Just switch to chainlocks, they are the best if you have any creativity at all.
>>
>>54268707
It's implied by the lack of reference to any guards in the room.

If there was any guards, it'd be so incredibly bleeding obvious that even the shittiest DM on the planet would say 'uh, he has guards and the guards stop you I guess'

But a shit DM could easily forget to put guards in.
>>
>>54268561
I did actually look it up at the table and the check he'd need to beat is 10+HD+Wisdom modifier.

I did find some generous stats for Dagult

>>https://plus.google.com/+MannyBrum/posts/LJU2CJ1P54d

So the DC needed to beat him would be 21 as he has 9 hd and +2 wisdom. The barbarian had proficiency in intimidate and a +2 charisma bonus so the nat 20 was more than enough for NeverEmber to cave in.

Though even if I did do it wrong I've kind of ruled it's happened now and the players are all making plans for next session on the basis that it happened so mostly I wanted some advice on where to go forwards?
>>
>>54268720
no, but if the king is REALLY dense, he can order them away. Of course, hopefully the Guard Captain is still smart enough to remain within earshot.
>>
How desperately do martials need Great Weapon Master?
>>
>>54268737
You.. Are you playing 5e?
>>
>>54268737
>I wanted some advice on where to go forwards?
the king comes back with his entire god damn army and kicks those squatters off his fucking throne is what happens next.
>>
>>54268732
Oh, you mean the b8 post where the entire reasoning was "natural 20 lol". No. There is no implication there unless you take it seriously. In which case you're a retard, and again, NEVER DM.
>>
>>54268743

It's certainly a sizable power boost, but it's not like you're screwed without it.
>>
>>54268743
Not entirely necessary, unless you really want to deal damage over having reasonable damage and +2 AC with shield.
>>
>>54268772
>>54268789
So if I wanted to take a flavor feat like Gourmand early on I would be okay waiting until later to take GWM?
>>
>>54268607
>>54268627
>>54268642
ACTUALLY NO! Roman law only protected *citizens* from rape, which itself was only a secondary crime in the consideration of prosecution. The primary crime is the abduction of somebody's daughter without permission to marry.

If you raped somebody's slave, you could be held accountable for property damage. Hell, prostitutes and other sex workers weren't even protected from rape in the eyes of the law.

Celtic barbarians, who were not citizens, slaves (yet), or otherwise, had no legal protection. It might have had some punishment among the army ranks, but probably not much more than a beating, or menial labor. You have to remember, that to Romans, the barbarians were. Not. People. It was absolutely OK to kill them, and fuck their wives and sons in their eyes.
>>
>>54268764
You're just making a lot of assumptions on how I DM based on my response to a post about someone being idiotic because I didn't assume there were things that nobody even mentioned.

So, eh.
>>
>>54268743
According to this table, not much.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIrEV1RFv6yxWEdqG6zP3z-ZONDTacquGyqYj8G-CdE/edit#gid=1769534668
>>
>>54268812
Uh, doesn't seem to be wrong from what I've seen on the subject so far, yeah. Romans were taught they're better than those beyond their borders. That's what made them lose their edge in the end.
>>
>>54268726
I'm playing paladin with an eventual 3 levels in warlock. I considered chain as well, though it comes down to cantrips for rp fluff and reliable ritual casting, or most likely a sprite for the poison and alignment/emotion check. I do like the possibilities of chain, but I feel like in the long run the ritual casting is much more useful.
>>
>>54268824
How does a Monk with TWF uses Flurry, though?
>>
>>54268878
Do you have another ritual caster in the party? Because if so, then no.

Chainlock gives you advantage on every attack (which is amazing with smite), the best scout in the game, and numerous roleplay opportunities.

Even if you would be the only ritual caster, consider just taking Ritual Caster as a feat.
>>
>>54268888
No idea, the table might be a bit derp.
>>
So I heard somewhere they were working on porting MTG planes into DnD settings. Did that actually happen, and if so what planes were released?
>>
>>54268954
Yes. So far, they've done DnD-land, Egypt-Land, Spooky-land, and India-land
>>
>>54268954
Innistrad and Zendikar unless I've missed one.
>>
>>54268982
Which one is DnD-land?
>>
>>54268993
Zendikar. The entire plane was designed around RPG tropes.
>>
>>54268925
We only have a cleric, and a sorcerer who is dedicated as a blaster. I don't have room for another feat without gimping my stat increases.
>>
>>54268824

>Sorcerer near the bottom of average damage

So this is the power of being focused on blasting
>>
>>54267339

Its new and scary. The same retards also whined and wailed that the Mediocaficer was OP.The Mystic is just good and hits its stride mid levels then gains virtually nothing once you hit double digit levels
>>
>>54268925
Also, doesn't help only give advantage on the first attack of a round?
>>
File: Every 5e warlock ever.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Every 5e warlock ever.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>54269011
Magic in 5e has always been for utility, never for damage. It's impossible to play a good blaster mage in 5e, either single-target or multi-target.
>>
Has anyone run CoS on roll20? I'm losing my goddamn mind trying to align the world map to r20's hex grid. How do I do it?
>>
>>54269009
Yeah, you getting rituals is redundant then.
>>
>>54269044
You're correct, but the paladin benefits disproportionately from help because of how much it can load into a single attack.
>>
>>54269057
>Alternatively, you can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally’s attack more effective. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack roll is made with advantage.

It only applies to one swing, not all attacks.
>>
>>54269058

But on the same table Wizards and Warlocks are mid-high.

It's just sorcs dead last.

y
>>
>>54269058
Sorlock isn't viable because by Crawford's words twin wouldn't word? Even then, quicken would. t. newfag
>>
>>54266113
id like to announce the 5eg discord has opened two new channels leftypol headed up by cammy the whammy trannie and allright-altright modded by c0re senpai
so join in for discussion about politics in dandd and how you can be part of the solution

https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>54269011
Sorcerer is good at twinning buffs and quickening to nova, plus being a bit more tanky than a wizard, that's about it. Idk where you're getting the blasting from, evocation wizards are better at that and they're one of the worst wizards.
>>
>>54269090
Also, in general, how do you guys rationalize an invisible familiar using the help action "distracting an enemy"? Whispering in their ear or tugging on their clothes or something I guess? The fragility of the familiar is a limiting factor as well. I know I'm somewhat playing devils advocate here but I legitimately am not sure which one I want to take.
>>
>>54268925
>Advantage on every attack
How?

>Best scout in the game
Something with 40' movement speed and invisibility? Good early on, I guess
>>
>>54269112
cease your faggot false-flagging, Jeb
>>
>>54269058
>megumeme poster
>wrong

Checks out.

The chart you're using to base your incorrect opinion on only accounts for single target damage through cantrips or attacking. Not the significant damage boost that spells offer.
>>
>>54269154
spamming help, which doesn't fly with every GM
>>
File: 1479264632369.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1479264632369.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>54268824
>>
>>54269154
I was incorrect with the help action, unless you're playing with flanking rules. In vanilla, the chainlock familiar can safely give you advantage on every attack prior to getting extra attack, and half of your attacks after that. The paladin still benefits enormously from this.

>scouting
Flying, invisible, and can scout from miles away.
>>
>>54269169

Well, no, it wouldn't fly with any DM, I'd expect. At least not without a fairly high risk of a dead familiar.
>>
>>54266673
Does it matter if he's strong in situations, adventures, and days where the party isn't being challenged or put in danger? Aim for balance where it matters.
>>
>>54269197
>At least not without a fairly high risk of a dead familiar.
oh no! not my ten gold!
>>
Is there anything official on magic tech stuff?
>>
>>54266802
That's why it's taking so long.
>>
Is there any way I can do something similar to what a Mystic Theurge was in 3.5e/PF but in 5e? I want to do a wizard/druid caster, a Faustian type of scholar who sought after the secrets of the world through arcane magic and then delved into the "old world" magic of druidic stuff. I don't want the class abilities of druids, it would be in fact better if I didn't have them because I want this character to stay a scholar of sorts, focused on spellcasting, research, and self-improvement. Is there any way to do something like that in 5e?
>>
>>54269230
UA modern magic and UA artificer
>>
>>54269207
For a normal familiar yes there would be a risk. For an invisible familiar, that can fly in, and fly out of engagement, no, there is very little risk, unless the enemy has some way to counteract the invisibility.

t. DM.
>>
>>54266912
>The same way we stopped 4e.
By putting Mike Mearls in charge of the mid-edition not-an-edition-change-but-still-shitty Essentials line?
>>
>>54268743
Well, let's do some math.

VHuman Totem Barbarian DPR
lvl 8 vs AC 16, 20 STR + a Feat, Rage and Reckless Attack
Greatsword: 25.93
Greatsword + GWM: 35.06 (countring on-crit, not counting on-kill effect)
Halberd + PAM: 31.59

So a Barbarian does 35% more damage with GWM than without, as well as having stronger Opportunity Attacks. Going up levels skews the difference higher towards GWM - it's not just the raw damage, the Bonus Action attack chance makes a big difference (+3 DPR at 18.54% chance to crit).

This was fun. Let's do it for Fighter too, why don't we?

VHuman Fighter DPR
lvl 8 vs AC 16, 20 STR + 2 Feats, Defensive FS
Greatsword: 16.30
Greatsword + GWM: 19.19
Halberd + PAM: 19.20
Halberd + PAM + GWM: 24.21
Sword & Board: 15.40 (Dueling FS)

So GWM gives them a 18% damage boost, and combining GWM and PAM gives them a staggering 48.5% damage boost over standard 2h. This is without taking into account the effects of Maneuvers, which greatly benefit GWM hits. As with the Barbarian example, higher levels only skew the difference further towards GWM use, particularly the Extra Attack power spike at 11th.

Conclusion: If you want to do damage, you take Great Weapon Master.
>>
>>54268302

Seriously though, I wanna do an M. Bison character.

How do?
>>
>>54269246

Multiclass with Nature Cleric? Its not all the stuff a druid can do, and the domain spells aren't the best, but there's some neat class features.
>>
>>54269061
Have you tried using Align to Grid?
>>
>>54269276
>>54269011

Same case as above, Draconic Sorcerer Quick+Normal casting Fire Bolt has a DPR of 21.90 (and has enough SP to keep it up the whole fight)

Sorcerer damage is real, you just have to not be a fucking retard.
>>
>>54268824

>berserker barbarian with reckless attack, rage, and GWM destroys everything else

but i was told berserker barbs were bad....
>>
>>54267374
3 is entirely determined by the fiction in your own mind, but it might be worth being more explicit about what different powers manifest as so that people are on the same page.
>>
>>54269328
If the only thing you're evaluating them on is DPR, then no, they aren't. Most people play with more than a trivial amount of non-combat encounters though.
>>
>>54268824
Why is Barbarian the only one with GWM in this table?
>>
>>54269256
You mean such as the enemy hitting the familiar despite disadvantage?

If the familiar isn't adjacent to the target, its Help action doesn't do shit for the player. So if the opponent thinks the familiar is a threat, and surmises that's it's probably helping and hiding due to its own frailty, it might well swing for it. Or use an AoE spell to tag both.

t. DM
>>
>>54269246
Play wizard, only pick spells that are also on the druid list.
Play loremaster, cast an exclusive druid spelll once a day.
>>
File: 1495668755115.jpg (28KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1495668755115.jpg
28KB, 625x626px
>>54269058
>time to take the bait
You do realize your opinion is retarded right? Explain to me how any Fighter hits harder than an equal level Sorcerer or Wizard.
>>
>>54269328

Because the exhaustion mechanic is annoying to deal with unless your GM is lenient or you somehow only rage once per long rest. The archetype features are pretty good, but they come at a pretty hefty cost.
>>
>>54269352
What makes berserker bad otherwise?
>>
>>54269153
The question really becomes : do you want rp cantrips like druid craft and the ability to ritual cast level 1 rituals like detect magic and comprehend languages and base level find familiar, which works as a shitty scout and that's about it, or do you want a very good invisible flying scout that can give you advantage once per combat round but still has decent risk of death. Both have their advantages but it's up to what you think is more useful - out of combat utility or in combat damage boost.
>>
>>54269361
You can help with the familiar while the familiar is adjacent to your target, and then move the familiar away from the target. No opportunity attack is possible, because the enemy can't see the helping familiar.
>>
>>54269385
Anon, fighter being the best damage dealer is a known fact, not a bait.
>>
>>54269197
Take the familiar that can turn invisible and have him sit on your shoulder. And I know it's a shit argument but RAW it is allowed to spam Help every turn.
>>
>>54269247
Thanks
>>
>>54269361
The meme in town is using an Owl, which has Flyby.

>>54269410
Yes, it is possible. The attacker just has disadvantage.
>>
>>54269410
You can still attack invisible targets, only with disadvantage. The phb says that invisible targets are still known unless they are hidden due to noise they make, movement, etc
>>
File: opportunityattacks.jpg (52KB, 647x313px) Image search: [Google]
opportunityattacks.jpg
52KB, 647x313px
>>54269441
You need a rules refresher. I've cut out the relevant rule that you're incorrectly interpreting. Reread it, and understand why you are wrong.
>>
>>54269395
You can rage, just not frenzy more than once per LR.
>>
>>54267724
Acquiring a certain amount of wealth made your hoarding instincts and dragon magic kick in.
>>
>>54269474
see >>54269484

We're not talking about attacks, we're talking about opportunity attacks.
>>
>>54269441
Opportunity attack does actually specify 'target you can see', but this guy >>54269410 is just wrong. The rules on Help require the helper to have the target within 5' when the attacker makes the attack.
>>
File: 1270950699423.gif (171KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1270950699423.gif
171KB, 375x375px
>>54269501

I like it.
>>
>>54269328
>>54269405
You take Exhaustion by using Frenzy. It does down at the rate of 1 per long rest, so you can only do your higher-than-totem barb damage once per day without incurring carry over effects for the next day (or forcing another PC to cast 5th level Greater Restoration on you).

Their 10th level archetype feature is non-functional.

And they compete with Totem Barbarian, which at the basic 3rd level gives you blanket resistance against all damage types except psychic. That's really strong.

What would you take, an ability that boosts your damage once per day but makes you worse the rest of the day, or an ability that makes you amazingly tough any time you Rage?
>>
File: helpactions.jpg (68KB, 653x434px) Image search: [Google]
helpactions.jpg
68KB, 653x434px
>>54269510
Again, incorrect. The only stipulation is that the enemy is within 5 feet of you when you take the help action. Afterwards, you can move or be moved away, and the ally still gets advantage.
>>
>>54269425
I'm not talking dpr. Dude said magic isn't worth using as damage for single or aoe, only utility. Fireball would like to disagree, as would cloud kill, as would dropping literal meteors.

Fighter can't kill a town with just their sword.
>>
>>54269425
Sorcerer and Warlock do alright single-target damage.

Sorlocks make non-optimized martials feel inadequate. They are better than Fighters.
>>
>>54269510
It's unclear in the phb, sage advice (Crawford) says that you can move away after using help.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/03/help-action-2/
>>
>>54269499
>>54269524

Yeah, but this guy nails it. If you are really that worried about failing charmed and frighten checks, just grab Mage Slayer or Resilient; Wisdom.
>>
File: 1499732386308.jpg (142KB, 980x523px) Image search: [Google]
1499732386308.jpg
142KB, 980x523px
What have people found is the best way to challenge the players with a single boss monster that doesn't have a flying capability? I've noticed after playing through part of my groups first campaign that PC's are a bit loaded, which matches what I've read and watched as well.

I'm looking to have monster hunting a large part of me campaign. I'm fine with bending, breaking, remaking, and creating new rules, I just want my players to have fun collecting the materials for armour and weapons (which shouldn't be a problem since we're all close friends but still).

Pic related.
>>
>>54269321
It dosen't work with hex grids.
>>
>>54268986
Also Kaladesh and Amonkhet.
>>
>>54269058
>>54269385
Anons, the chart isn't taking into account that Draconic Sorcerer gets Elemental Affinity at 6th, which would make the DPS better than Cleric and Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>54269625
I treat the boss monster as a collection of 4-5 npcs.

There's a head NPC, 2 arm NPCs, and 2 leg NPCs for a dragon for instance. the body part NPCs move at the same time, but otherwise they act independently and at different times in the turn order. If the players kill one of the NPCs, I describe it as the players severely injuring one of the monster's appropriate body parts.
>>
>>54269550
>Fireball
>Cloudkill
Anon, please, those are scrub-tier spells. If you want a real AoE, how about you learn Spirit Guardians?
>>
>>54269549
We're reading the same thing, but we simply disagree, I guess.

>Aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5' of you
>attacking a creature within 5' of you

You are not attacking a creature within 5' of your familiar if it then moves 20' away.
>>
File: Barbaroguecomparisons.png (37KB, 1235x238px) Image search: [Google]
Barbaroguecomparisons.png
37KB, 1235x238px
>>54268743
Compare GWM+PAM barbarian to normal barbarian.
>>
>>54269725
No, what you're doing is trying to balance something and deliberately misreading a rule to enforce your retarded notions of balance.
>>
>>54269710
I picked random aoe spells off the top of my head as examples.

Spirit guardians is good yes but it also has no real range. You can't hit people at a distance with it. Half the upside to magic is killing them before they make it to you.
>>
>>54269725
See>>54269577
>>
File: barbarianoptionslevel5.png (57KB, 707x594px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianoptionslevel5.png
57KB, 707x594px
>>54269737
>>54268743
And also note that a 19 AC target is a lot more AC than a lot of monsters will have, and against lower ACs it's even better.

I should've posted one of those charts instead, let me fetch one.

Here we go, much better.
>>
>>54269690
Forgot other thing: It is Quickening Cantrip at 1st and 2nd level, which Sorcerer can't actually do.
Plus it isn't even Quickening Firebolt then Twinning the second cast.
>>
>>54269784
That chart is just bollocks
>>
>>54269625
Why a single boss? I think a high-level, intelligent "boss" would have lackeys around for buffing/debuffing/harassment.

That said, a rakshasa could be a challenge (swap out the fly spell for something else to remove the "flying capability")
>immune to non-magical bludgeoning/piercing/slashing
>immune to spells below 7th level
With the whole "hunting them" aspect, the cursed attack would also be interesting and fun.
>>
>>54269770

Familiars using help is not unbalancing, but I simply think that the notion that you can move away after using the action makes no sense. If you can move 2', render something distracted and then move away 20', why can you not render something distracted from 20' away?
>>
>>54269820
>why can you not render something distracted from 20' away?
I like that idea. "WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT?" *points over his shoulder*
>>
>>54269820
Because mearls is retarded. As a DM, I do allow the help action at range. Fluff wise, it can be as simple as throwing a rock at a dude.
>>
>>54269820
Invisible imp pinchs your dick in the middle of the fight and runs away
Warlock blasts you with magic as you look down
Turns are an abstraction mate
>>
>>54269850
Ally yells "Oh shit duck"
Orc looks
Gets broadsided by pactblade
>>
>>54269818
Not that anon, but I always loved the idea of a Rakshasa as a Warlock Patron.
>No matter how strong the Warlock is, can't hit the Rakshasa with Eldritch Blast or 5th-level spells.
>Use Mystic Arcanum, they have advantage on the saving throws.
You can't attack your Patron, puny Warlock.
>>
Who's the biggest hack?

Our own personal clown (((Mearls))), Bulmahn, or Monte Cook?
>>
File: thundertail titan.jpg (282KB, 895x1151px) Image search: [Google]
thundertail titan.jpg
282KB, 895x1151px
>>54269625
First of all, go to Deadly CR.
Second, give it resistance to all damage except a specific kind of weakness. Maybe require an Investigation or Peception check mid-combat to spot a weak point. I put my group of level 5 PCs against pic related, and they killed it in no time. I realize now that I should have been more aggressive with its resistance.
Third, give it abilities that change over the course of the fight - at the very least, something that interacts with being above/below half hp. The players need to feel a progression (since they can't count the number of enemies slain), but the later part of the fight also needs to be intense - so extra defense and offense is great when the beast is below half hp.

Finally, you want to be making enough rolls that the players feel threatened. If you have a somewhat slow monster, use saving throws instead of attack rolls (eg. DEX save for dodging a tail swipe). If you have a faster monster, have it make 12 attacks per round, spread across legendary actions. This ensures that the monster doesn't just unload all of its DPR into the tank, and it also makes all players at the table engaged.

You also probably want to give it the ability to move when making a legendary attack.
>>
>>54269929
That's actually pretty cool.
>>
>>54269929
I like that idea a lot. I may have to steal that if I ever roll a Fiendlock.
>>
>>54269942
Monte Cook, and it doesn't matter how many retarded parentheses you put around Mearls' name.
>>
>>54269942
(((Mearls)))
>>
File: Mike Mearls twitter.png (49KB, 595x311px) Image search: [Google]
Mike Mearls twitter.png
49KB, 595x311px
>>54269971
>you
Anon, I...
>>
What's the best build for killing mutiple weaker foes?

Is Evocation Wizard the way to go?
>>
>>54269820
>6 second round
>Owl comes flying at your face and flies away
>During that moment, the Paladin charges onto you
>Unrealistic
>>
>>54270001
Huh.
>>
>>54270026
Don't look for it now, he removed it about a month or two ago. The avatar is still there, though.
>>
How are some of the UA archetypes for Barbarian?

Looking at Ancestral Guardian and Storm Herald specifically.
>>
>>54270046
I'm not sure I understand. Why did he put the parentheses around his name?
>>
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Mearls))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>>
>>54270060
Solidarity against persecution. It's a long story. Lots of people did it.
>>
>>54270060
Jewish people have been doing that to their names on Twitter and elsewhere to poke fun at poltards.
>>
>>54269820
As others have said, you need to think of combat as simultaneous and continually flowing. The invisible familiar flies up, pokes you and yells at you, and then flies away to safety while you charge it and attack
>>
>>54270117
>>54270115
Interesting. Kinda cool. Is he Jewish, or just participating in the protest?
>>
>>54270060
jewish people self identify with ((())) on twitter. What bugs me is I can't remember if pollacks started doing it after jews to insult them, or jews did it in response to pollacks doing it to take the insult away.
>>
>>54269942
>Man responsible for delivering the coup de grace to 4e and having the power to potentially kill 5e with the might of downs syndrome
>Jason "mouse cord" Bulmahn
>Man who has never written anything good in his entire life and shoehorned d20 into things it shouldn't touch for his entire career and also ate a Japanese man's severed and cooked penis

This is actually a tough question
>>
>>54270152
He's not Jewish and he also isn't gay despite the rainbow themed twitter icon. In some places it's called virtue signalling.
>>
>>54270155
poltards started it
>>
>>54270057

Storm Herald is pretty solid and probably the best Barb behind Totem. Its got a little control some resistances a little environment dickery and little bits of extra damage

Guardian is alright. Its got neat defensive options. I haven't looked at the revised version yet though so withholding judgement for now
>>
>>54270155
It first started as a /pol/ thing - echoes, because jewish names "echo through history". Then an app for google chrome was made, that detected jewish names for you and put echoes around them, it was called a "Coincidence detector".
People heard about this and responded by putting echoes around their own names in protest, which is kinda counterproductive in my opinion.
>>
>>54269942
I know the first and the last guy pretty well, but what is Bulmahn famous for?
>>
>>54270201
>virtue signaling
You know, solidarity and sympathy ARE things that exists.

>>54270235
>counterproductive
Maybe, but if Jews do it, maybe /pol/ will stop because it's now something that Jews do and aren't bothered by. Similar to LGBT "reclaiming" terms like faggot, dyke, butch, etc.
>>
File: gays-against-fags.jpg (74KB, 600x329px) Image search: [Google]
gays-against-fags.jpg
74KB, 600x329px
>>54270274

Can you spot the fag boys and girls?
>>
>>54269361
>t.
ive been away for too long i don't recognize these memes
>>
For mid-level clerics, which is generally a better use of your concentration, Bless or Spirit Guardians (ignoring the broken, not-RAI Sanctuary abuse)? The party also has a rogue and a barbarian (wolf totem, I think).
>>
>>54270344
It came from /int/ (and probably krautchan originally). It's finnishspeak for "sincerely"
>>
How would you feel about a cleric that worships a god outside their domain, i.e. a war or tempest cleric that worships Oghma?
>>
>>54269944
What group do you have anon? That Titan takes down at least a PC each turn
>>
>>54270274
>olidarity and sympathy
Sounds like some gay shit to me
>>
>>54270372
thx
>>
File: tomb3.jpg (4MB, 1250x763px) Image search: [Google]
tomb3.jpg
4MB, 1250x763px
>Official Tomb of Annihilation art depicts incorrect spielberg lizards

Disgusting
>>
>>54270347
It strongly depends on the situation at hand. You can't just ask "what's better". Spirit guardians is usually best when you're facing a large group of enemies, bless when the enemy is hard to hit or is making you face a lot of saving throws. Since bless is a level 1 spell, you will also be able to cast it more often and save spirit guardians for fights you really need them for.
>>
File: 1497877893554.jpg (1MB, 1668x3437px) Image search: [Google]
1497877893554.jpg
1MB, 1668x3437px
>>54270260
He's most famous for spending a work day slinging a mouse into his hand and re-writing rules related to weapon cords and nerfing them into the ground because he somehow figured that if he - a middle aged man couldn't swing a mouse with a cord wrapped around his wrist that a martial character who has trained for years with their weapon couldn't recover their sword which is attached to their wrist by a 2 foot leather cord within a span of ~1 second also couldn't and changed the rules the same day to require a martial to expend an entire turn's worth of movement (20-30ft average) to do it.

He's also brutally responsible for perpetuating the martial/caster discrepancy by vehemently advocating that martials in Pathfinder are required to display normal human abilities and behave according to the physics of our world when wizards exist.

Sean K. Reynolds (pic related) was his official mouthpiece on the forums for a long while.
>>
How basic is this backstory? my first character btw.

Half-Orc Fighter Soldier

>born to noblewoman
>her husband was drunken warmonger and abuser
>he goes away on a campaign
>orcs raid the castle
>rape the noblewoman
>she makes plans to send baby to her father who is sworn sword to her husband
>grandfather raises half orc baby
>nobody knows the secret except for mom and grandpa
>half-orc learns discipline to control his chaotic side through strict grandfather
>learns how to fight too
>joins his grandfathers battalion
>one day grandfather is called to his son-in-laws side
>grandfather dies suspiciously
>half-orc believes grandfather was murdered
>leaves army in search allies and evidence that his grandfather was murdered by the asshole warmonger
>adventure starts
>>
>>54270428

In parallel universe 4-chan;

>Official Tomb of Annihilation art depicts feathered dinos
>What is this gay shit, can't take a big turkey seriously

You'll never please everyone, anon.
>>
>The ground around you becomes like shifting sand. Any enemy that attempts to move more than 5 feet per turn on the ground while in your aura must make a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier). On a failed save, the creature's speed drops to 0 until the start of its next turn.

Would you let a player reflavor this as hot coals instead of sand?
>>
>>54270386
They had about 25 hp each when they fought it, and the thing has an INT of 4, so it had to discover for itself that the barbarian was hard to hit.

The limitation on multiattack also means not one-shotting PCs.

It mostly did the area attacks though, since the group always had at least 2 people within an area. The party quickly found out how to use terrain like blocking pillars to their advantage, which certainly helped - until the titan started crushing the pillars on top of them.

They left the fight bruised and battered, but the fight wasn't all that long.
>>
>>54270447
You're making a big mistake here, anon. You have a conflict in your backstory, but it's not an internal conflict for your character to resolve - it's a revenge plot against an NPC whom your DM might not want to even use.
>>
>>54270481
No, because hot coals would hurt and potentially deal damage, and make you need to move as soon as possible not reduce your speed to 0.
>>
>>54270428
You're talking about a world where dragons and magic exist. I'm pretty sue that evolution is not a thing or things evolved very differently.
>>
>>54270447
And why is your character adventuring? Don't forget that this is a party game, and on the very first session you'll have to join a group of adventurers, and you will adventure with them probably until your character dies. How exactly does it help your revenge quest?
>>
File: hotcoals.jpg (127KB, 1000x554px) Image search: [Google]
hotcoals.jpg
127KB, 1000x554px
>>54270500
C'mon man.
>>
>>54266113
>>54264642
What feats (or other options) are too shitty to consider taking at all?

Ss and gwm and pam make those combat styles way better than everything else though. I was thinking of banning all three. How else would you fix it?
>>
>>54270006
Sorcerer (Draconic Red) get bonus spell damage earlier and can, say, Quicken Fireball with their Bonus Action and Twin Fire Bolt with their action.
>>
>>54270557
>What feats (or other options) are too shitty to consider taking at all?
Inspiring Leader is notoriously shitty. Like, there's bad, and there's horrible. It doesn't scale at all.
>>
File: Porque.png (121KB, 260x270px) Image search: [Google]
Porque.png
121KB, 260x270px
>>54270476
>>54270529

>picking sides in the irrelevant popmedia shitstorm
>>
>>54270441
That's pretty horrible and one of the worst kinds of people in frps IMO, but when the question is biggest hack I'd have to say Cooke. Idk exactly what Mearls did to 4e and I may be underestimating how much I should hate him if he really did kill it.
>>
What's the most batman wizard possible? Tomelock 3/wizard x in order to get rituals from every list?
>>
>>54270587
Rituals take like 10 minutes
Not very batman, really
>>
>>54270441
Oh, THIS guy? I've thought SKR is responsible for this, and turns out he's just a mouthpiece?
>>
>>54270577
I thought it was decent, can you enlighten me?
>>
>>54270497
Alright that makes sense. I guess I should read some examples of good backstories and get a better feel for what kind of quest/conflict I should include.

>>54270535
The longer version I have written down/in my head it's more of a get out of dodge in case he is the next target while also trying to get proof that his grandfather was murdered. He doesn't exactly need to kill him in combat, but just get some kind of evidence. And he's out adventuring to get allies/resources/gold/whatever would help him prove the murder. He's used to fighting with allies at his side spending his entire adult life so far in an army which is why he joins a party.

Not really defending my shitty story, just expanding a bit on the short greentext.
>>
Best Rogue archetype? Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>54270587
Tome rituals are capped by Warlock level.
>>
File: ADD.jpg (187KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
ADD.jpg
187KB, 970x545px
I think the preivous thread had something about THAC0 in a pdf, but I couldn't find it. Repost please?
>>
>>54270428
>tourists don't believe giant feathered things to actually be dinosaurs because of faulty education
>locals start plucking and breeding the feathers away to make the tourists happy
>>
>>54270637
Thief, if you have imagination and your DM isn't shit. Swashbuckler otherwise.
>>
>>54270651
Literally first result when ctrl+Fing for thac0 >>54261437
>>
>>54266113 (OP)
>Ss and gwm and pam make those combat styles way better than everything else. They're broken.

I was thinking of banning all three.

I've heard it said that's not a good idea. How do we fix it then?
>>
>>54270637
Between AT and Swashbuckler.

Thief works and has the best capstone but Fast Hands falls off after the early levels, Supreme Sneak is more or less rendered redundant 2 levels later by Reliable Talent, and Use Magic Device - while powerful - is very reliant on the campaign and DM.

On the other hand, Assassin is a trash archetype with only 1 usable ability, and a list of borderline ribbon features that encourage a kind of gameplay that runs counter to a cooperative tabletop game.
>>
>>54270638
Where does it say that?
>>
>>54266139
Nah. A one level dip is allright since you only get a magic weapon at will.
Besides, soulknife is the most balanced subclass for Mystic.
>>
>>54270694
>On the other hand, Assassin is a trash archetype with only 1 usable ability
That one ability is better than literally everything thief and AT have combined
>>
>>54266139
Pick Soulknife, take giant growth and go rogue for the rest.
Enjoy your melee sneak attacks from 10ft away.
>>
>>54270670
>giant man-eating lizard feathers bring huge revenue for the region, hard to harvest in the wild, but the infrastructure of the region has dedicated lizard farms for feathers
>all domesticated dinos are just plucked chickens for economic gains

I'd play it
>>
>>54270691
Make it -5 to hit and +7 damage. Make PAM give you the reaction or bonus action attack, but not both. S&B is now king, yw.

The only ones that get excluded are crossbows, which are shit anyway and the feat is tailor made for rogues so it doesn't really attempt to compete with the others outside that, TWF which is shit anyway except for rogues and stuff in which case nerfing other feats does nothing, and shield master is not bad enough that S&B is significantly less viable than other fighting styles, in the right party comp it's better honestly. I still have no idea why these feats need nerfing, unless you want weapon feats to be as viable for a martial to pick up early as most other feats, which is dumb because most other feats are worthless and only get picked up when you have nothing else to get.
>>
>>54270724
What's the best assassin build that makes sense (IE no paladin for smite), anyway? Assassin X/Battlemaster X with Hunter 3?
>>
>>54270777
Which other feats are not worthless?
>>
>>54270694
>>54270674

How good is Swashbuckler really? All I have to go off is DMs not allowing me to play one because its supposedly too strong.
>>
>>54266113
So, my players will find a ship that belonged to a pries of Umberlee. Despite magical storms regularly ravaging the coast, this ship is in near perfect condition. The fishermen of the small hamlet never dared to enter the ship because of their superstition. Since it is too big to be used for small game fishing, the incentive to overcome this fear was small.

What could be fun encounters within the abandoned ship as well as on open sea? They want to reach an lighthouse which lies in front of a strait. I thought about letting the captain they hired describe the difficulties in passing this strait. The seven players will then have to distribute to different positions. Some as lookouts, the beefy guys will have to hold some ropes and support the captain at the steering wheel.

Any other ideas beside of that? What could await them in the cargo of the ship for example?
>>
>>54270814
Swashbuckler kicks ass, but it's not broken. Your DM is being silly.
>>
>>54270814
It gives you a free Mobile feat and allows you to sneak attack basically always. Not bad at all, but is it really that good?
>>
>>54270385
Does he have a compelling reason and does it make sense within the campaign setting?
>>
How effective if a healer will a Goliath Druid be? I think he plans on beating enemies with his stick a lot
>>
>>54270816
>On open seas
Aboleths.
>>
>>54270180
Bulmahn, absolutely Bulmahn. That whole design team with their "But we MEANT for it to be terrible!" design philosophy ruined their own game. All the decent players left for systems that actually worked, leaving behind the furries and sjws to make the game even worse.
>>
File: audible confusion.png (195KB, 270x366px) Image search: [Google]
audible confusion.png
195KB, 270x366px
>>54270844
>Healer memes
>In 5e
>>
>>54270864
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>54270864
Unfortunately death saves make it so that healers are far more important than they need to be.
>>
>>54270909
I don't play with that trash system.
>>
>>54270852
Yeah, i thought about those fuckers. Since they will eventually meet some Kobold Pirates (better don't ask) I did not want to do another battlle encounter.

What could an aboleth want besides killing the adventurers? It's abilities do not allow for manipulation of a ship manned by 10-20 people.
>>
>>54270887
Damage dealt far outpaces what you can heal in combat (seriously, look at the stats for things like Cure Wounds and Healing Word). Trying to keep everybody healthy during a fight is pointless. You're better off using your turn on buffs/debuffs and damage and only resorting to Healing Word to revive a fallen ally.
>>
hey guys I'm looking for a decent mini that looks like a big boisterous peasant brawler kind of guy, know of anything like that?
>>
>>54270918
That's good, but I fear anon probably does use that system.
>>
>>54270909
Just throw a healing word, you idiot, and do something useful with your action.
>>
>>54270957
If you have no healer with healing word then suddenly you can't conveniently get your players up every time they go down.
>>
Just give me some inoffensive Mystic builds fuck.

Something tanky or supporty.
>>
Best PHB Cleric?
>>
>>54270854
There's still a lot of pathfinder players.

And your SJWs and Furfaggotry association is an internet meme.

My mid sized anecdote: rpg club with 250 people. Still like 12 pathfinder campaigns a semester in the club.
>>
>>54270965
as someone who was in a group with no dedicated healer in OotA, it wasn't until our very last fight against Demogorgon that anyone hit 0 hp, mostly because we nuked every last god forsaken creature into oblivion.
>>
>>54270970
I've played life until level 11, and it was pretty decent, because paradoxically it makes you better at not healing. All of healing spells and revify (also, spirit guardians, for some reason?) are your domain spells, so you don't need to prepare them. Channel divinity is really good for not wasting spell slots too. And so on, and so on.
>>
>>54266148
Not that i'm aware of.
But i'd just model them after Dragon Sorcerrer with few added features.

For example:

Earth

Bonus spells:
Mold earth, Earth tremor, Catapult, Meld into Stone, Stoneshape, Move earth.

Lvl 1 benefit:
>Gain +1 Hp per warlock level, +1 to AC and reduce bludgeon/slashing/piercing damage taken by half your proficiency modifier.

Lvl 6 benefit:
>You can use your bonus action to teleport for up to 30ft to a location that is connected to you through earth, stone or sand.

Water

Extra spells: Shape water, Ray of frost, Ice Knife, Create or Destroy Water, Water Walk, Water sphere.

Level 1 benefit:
>Fire and Cold damage you take is reduced by half your proficiency bonus. In addition you gain a swimming speed equal to your land movement speed.

Level 6 benefit:
>Once per turn when you deal cold damage to a target you may add your Cha modifier to the damage roll.

Air

Extra spells: Booming blade, Gust, Warding Wind, Thunderwave, Fly, Control air.

Level 1 Benefit:
>When you take falling damage you halve it. Your movement speed increases by 10ft and when you make a melee weapon attack against a target it can't use an attack of opportunity against you.

Level 6 benefit:
>Once per turn when you deal Thunder damage to a target you may add your Cha mod to the damage. In addition whenever you hit a target with a melee weapon attack that target must make a STR saving throw contesting your spell save DC or be pushed back 5ft.

Fire

Extra spells: Firebolt, Control flames, Green flame blade, Burning hands, Fireball, Fire-shield.

Level 1 Benefits:
>Whenever an enemy within 5ft of you hits you with a melee weapon attack they take fire damage equal to your warlock level. You may use your bonus action to set ablaze the ground you walk on. The fire covers the last 3 5ft squares you walked on and it doesn't hurt you. Eeach creature entering one of the squares on their turn or starting their turn within the suares takes 1d4 fire damage.
>>
>>54268234
You wot m8?

Pick up Giant growth and i hope you either MCd into Monk or took Tavern brawler.
>>
>>54268743
They only ''NEED'' it well past level 10.
>>
So, /5eg/, what are some neat multi-class options that offer an awful lot of strong maneuvers and things they can do? I'm just curious for possible characters I'll build down the road.
>>
>>54270809
Well there's the top tier ones that are kind of essential depending on what you're playing, i.e. SM/PAM/GWM/SS/XBX/sentinel/maybe lucky (my gm has banned it from the start so I can't comment).

Then you have trash like actor, charger, dungeon delver and linguist, that may have an extremely niche use but are generally never taken and you'd rather bump con. Some bleed over to the next category and might be seen taken as a level 19 fighter or something, but they're worthless for most builds in most games.

Then the middle is like resilient (almost top tier for wizards and stuff but still not as essential as weapon feats), alert, dual wielder, healer, some armor feats, inspiring leader, magic initate, mobile, mounted combat, war caster. These are good in the right games for the right characters, but tend to be quite situational, or they are just not strong enough to prioritize above primary stats. It's a shame since they're the actual cool ones, assuming no fighter/rogue/vhuman/rolled stats, you'd have to wait until ~16 to get one if you want just one wepaon feat.

I wish they had just made the weapon feats into class features like fighting styles or split the feats into categories because there are a fair amount of cool feats in the middle tier I'd like to get earlier/at all, played a knight with inspiring leader and it was a lot of fun for example.
>>
>>54270854
Not actually changing anything significant from 3.5 was the ultimate downfall. PF was a scam to get golarionbux and push a "white men are evil" agenda.
>>
>>54267724
>You drank something wierd.
>Your family always had the same hair colour and liked to keep money under their pillows, you always wondered why.
>>
>>54271121
>You drank something wierd.
to be fair, he dared me to AND was calling me a pussy for not drinking it. What other option did i have?
>>
>>54271075
paladin/warlock, eldritch knight/arcane trickster, wizard X/anything else 1-3
>>
>>54271144
You could always teleport behind him
>>
>>54270970
War. Once level 6 kicks in you can make your buddies feel badass twice per short or long rest, and that just gives me warm feelings. Spend the rest of the time smacking dudes.
>>
>>54271161
well NOW I can!
>>
>>54271075
Start with 13 in all your stats and roll a die at character creation and every time you level up to determine which class you go into next.
>>
>>54270724
Thief gives you an extra a turn. A whole extra turn.

AT gives you cantrip utility. It gives you Shield. It gives you Find Familiar. It gives you Haste to set up your own double Sneak Attacks per round.

Advantage on your first turn of combat, and only against creatures whose initiative you beat, is not "better than literally everything thief and AT have combined"
>>
>>54271200
>tfw you keep rolling Ranger (PHB)
>>
>>54271202
>Thief gives you an extra a turn. A whole extra turn.
No, it means that you can spend a turn doing something useless like molest someones pockets, open a door so you can escape and let real classes fight, or throw some trash around that will only ever meaningfully effect combat at level 1-2 and is outdone by crossbow master at all times.

>AT gives you cantrip utility. It gives you Shield. It gives you Find Familiar.
So does a single level in wizard. AT gets haste at level 13. I could just go wizard 5/assassin 8 and the only thing I'd be missing is a couple dice of sneak attack damage and mage hand as a bonus action while having way way way more spellcasting power to support my sneaky roguery

>Advantage on your first turn of combat, and only against creatures whose initiative you beat
why would a rogue not beat out imitative almost all the time? Getting a critical hit for free in a game where its quite easy to get a bunch of extra dice rolls for one specific attack is ridiuclously good at the main thing rogues can actually contribute in a fight (murdering people)
>>
https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/201/castle-ravenloft-map-pack

Someone get on these now that they're a stand-alone.
>>
>>54271156
Paladin/Warlock is so fucking fun
>>
>>54270637
Arcane trickster is easily the best in general.

It does melee well with GFB+BB and you can pick up mobile for more speed and autodisengage instead of having to go swashbuckler.
Swashbuckler is melee AT light - they don't get GFB or BB or all those spells, but they do get an at-will charm person.
Their mage hand has a lot of rogueish applications and can even use objects as a bonus action - much like thief rogue.

Assassin is great for people who attack before they think in certain games where everybody is stealthy and rolls with it / if you play solo.. But otherwise, it's shit, and the midlevels are shit.

Thief relies heavily on the DM to give you items you can use with your ability, but with items it can be a lot of fun and be pretty effective. However, it's a lot of work. Also, their best feature isn't until level 17 or so.

Any other rogues aren't even worth mentioning.
>>
>>54270814
next best thing is a College of Swords Bard it's basically a swashbuckler with magic.
>>
>>54271382
Not the one you answered to, but I have one question. Which good party would accept an assassin in their ranks. It's one of those class options that is pretty much limited fluff wise.
>>
>>54271467
the 5e assassin isn't specifically "spooky hired killer" anymore, it's just someone that's good at murdering people and being sneaky, which is already what most rogues and rangers do.
>>
>>54271467
>Which good party would accept an assassin in their ranks
it's not like they go around introducing themselves as an assassin, anon.

>Greetings fellows! I am Assassin Joe, the assassin. I sure do love assassinating people! Got anyone that needs to assassinating? Because I do that! Assassinations, that is.
>>
>+2 Dex/+2 Wis
>Flight
>no disadvantage on ranged attacks when firing at distance
Hawk Aven OP

Also
>Heavy armors in Amonkhet
They didnt' even looked at the cards
>>
>>54271382
1) Thief's Reflexes: You can take two turns during the first round of any combat. You take your first turn at your normal initiative and your second turn at your initiative minus 10.

2) Or stay AT to not lose Sneak Attack die or delay good Rogue features like Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Reliable Talent, Slippery Mind.

3) Because initiative is random as fuck: d20+X, where X for rogues is normally only going to be +2, maybe +3 higher than most enemies across your career. You have to *intentionally* build towards initiative if you want to be good at it.

And Assassin's don't get critical hits for free - the target has to be Surprised, which is going to happen... what? Maybe twice in a campaign?
>>
>>54270909
>>54270918
Any alternatives you would suggest?
>>
>>54271530
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6DifUtPvs
>>
>>54270918
Looking for opinions on if this is a good death save system: every time a player is revived, the death save permanently changes from "first to 3" to "first to 2," and so on, so that upon being downed for the fourth time in that character's life they instantly die. This way players have a limited amount of chances to survive, but also giving less rounds to revive them each time.
>>
>>54271510
A well, that is convenient. I haven't read the fluff to be honest since I thought he would be similar to the 3e assassin. Thanks for the clarification.

>>54271530
Probably not, but at some point you'll get to know your comrades. I had two occurences with players wo came into an already running game, rolling evil characters and went batshit when at one point they were killed by the party.
>>
File: OhBoyHereIGoKillingAgain.png (454KB, 853x467px) Image search: [Google]
OhBoyHereIGoKillingAgain.png
454KB, 853x467px
>>54271530

I am suddenly very tempted to make this character now. Pic related.
>>
>>54271593
Depends on what you throw at them and whether you would allow attempts to revive them. At some point unlucky characters might simply be dead when reaching 0HP.

The system I use at my table: Death saves are rolled hidden. The player does not tell the table the result. Therefore other players don't know his situation. Therefore no metagaming like "he will survive for at least two other rounds, we don't have to go to him yet".
>>
>>54271571
>Thief's Reflexes:
I genuinely forgot about this because its a level 17 perk (very few games get this far) and the thief is such hot garbage for the first 16 levels. Even then assassin is still better because assassinate only works in the first round too but is way more effective.

>>54271571
>Or stay AT to not lose Sneak Attack die or delay good Rogue features
Then I can just stay as an assassin (with again maybe 1-2 levels of wizard to get about as many spells and some cool school power like diviner) and have my friend cast haste on me instead and still be better.

> You have to *intentionally* build towards initiative if you want to be good at it
So invest a single feat?

>the target has to be Surprised, which is going to happen... what? Maybe twice in a campaign?
What kind of rogue can't sneak up on something baka
>>
>>54271585
Personally what I'm up to now is:
>No death saves
>When you take damage at 0 HP, you lose max HP instead
>Once you hit 0 max HP you're 'at death's door' and have disadvantage to pretty much everything you try / things have advantage against you. From here, just do whatever you want, probably have a table of things like 'you get an injury', 'you fall unconscious', 'you die' for each time you take damage.

It means players have HP more akin to NPCs which balances that faff out but also they can't abuse healing and death saves to prolong their life beyond what is intended.
>>
>>54271593
Nah. It'd have to reset on a long rest. Permanent is a bit too much considering how squishy players are.
>>
>>54271605
>Probably not, but at some point you'll get to know your comrades. I had two occurences with players wo came into an already running game, rolling evil characters and went batshit when at one point they were killed by the party.
Well it all depends on why they were killed. If you really think about it, when in a party that regularly murders the shit out of anything that looks at them side-eyed, it's going to be difficult to point out the evil one from the good ones.

Now of course, if they were caught torturing children or something, then sure. But if my character was killed because the party found out that I get a giggle out of killing the things we killed, I'd be pissed too. Of course, when I play evil characters, they are careful and tend to only involve themselves in team/government approved evil acts.
>>
>>54271593
Bad, unless there is someway to reset your counter through recuperation, then maybe.
>>
>>54271821
New thread
>>
>>54271821
>>54271821
>>54271821

new thread
>>
>>54271689
Seems interesting, but would this not give tanky characters too much hp?
>>
>>54271718
The party I DM for never went full murder hobo yet. They always try to parlay, reason, find a peaceful solution. Obviously, that does not always work. And if things went south they are quite fond of slaying a monster or too. But usually, they only slay what has no brain or is clearly a monster. They will try to argue with orcs, but slay an ooze right away.

The first player was killed when he tried to kill a merchant, which he tried to intimidate. This check failed badly, the merchant was big mouthed and the evil wizard PC tried to make some fried salesman. My players asked whether they could intervene. I allowed for an competing insight check. Everyone who succeeded could act according to their initative. The evil player rolled badly and was slain within the very first round before he could even cast his spell. His face when I asked the player who dealt the killing blow, whether he wanted to subdue or to kill, and he said "kill" was priceless. He had derailed a lot of encounters.

The second player was simply playing lol-fuck-random. Within the first village he set fire to a house using a fire ball. Was subdued by the other players and given to the authorities. He was beheaded immedeatly because within the house was a family of four he killed. Obviously, that player wasn't invited to a second session.
>>
>>54271670
>What kind of rogue can't sneak up on something baka

The one that has a party rather than going on little solo adventures for 30 minutes every session.
>>
>>54271914
>The evil player rolled badly and was slain within the very first round before he could even cast his spell. His face when I asked the player who dealt the killing blow, whether he wanted to subdue or to kill, and he said "kill" was priceless.
Technically, THAT player committed the evil act. At least to bystanders. Imagine being at the market, seeing two dudes getting into a heated debate and then a third dude just strolling up and hacking one of them to the ground.

I mean, out of character, the dude probably deserved it. But in character, I hope there was some sort of reaction from npcs.
>>
Should I monk 18/ranger 2?
>>
>>54272120
Sure?
>>
>>54272120
to what end?
>>
>>54270447
>Level 1 character
>Backstory

Players are so funny.
>>
>>54269061
Just don't use the grid feature. I'm assuming the map already comes with hexes? Use the grid on the map instead, and move tokens a bit more carefully
>>
>>54269942

Bulman. Monte Cook starts with having a good idea even if he drops the ball down the line.
>>
>>54269276
>Using only percent change.
It's also worth mentioning the barb is getting ~+9.5 with GWM and the fighter ~+8 with PM+GWM.
>>
>>54269323
Level 8 sorc has 8 sorcery points max, and 4/6/9/8 more if they convert their slots. That's good enough for 17 rounds if they're split up in 4-5 fights so they have time to refill in between, then you'll do less damage than a barb or fighter while being considerably squishier, but good job on that dps, I guess.
>>
>>54271701
>>54271750
This is legitimately the first time I see anyone even imply 5e is too lethal or that 5e characters are too weak
>>
>>54270577
But it does scale. It's easily better than Tough, and people slurp that shit up with a straw.
>>
Planning on running a pre written campaign soon. I usually make my own and haven't read any of the 5th ed ones though I would know a bit about Curse of Strahd.

What one (if any) would you guys recommend? Why?

http://www.strawpoll.me/13412001
>>
>>54270584
Mearls did Essentials and hates the warlord. He's a source for cheerleader and shouting limbs back on.
>>
>>54271089
Okay, so:

Ability Scores won't be an issue.
I'm concerned about the couple top tier feats. They seem very much too good compared to everything else.

Of the rest, what are they like?
>>
>>54273222

In order

>Oota
>Curse of Strahd
>LMOP
>Storm Kings Thunder
>Elemental Evil
>Rise of Tiamet series
>>
>>54273702
Ok cool, reasons?

I only really know about CoS and it's theme seems fun but a bit gimmicky, and I've heard it has problems with difficulty in places.
>>
>>54273805
>and I've heard it has problems with difficulty in places.
if it's about it being too hard, that's a feature not a bug.
Thread posts: 408
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.