[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game Thread: Misplaced Nostalgia Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 28

File: KttK.jpg (253KB, 497x334px) Image search: [Google]
KttK.jpg
253KB, 497x334px
Last thread:
>>53927147
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's that game? You know, the one you played a bunch as a kid, but you realise now wasn't that great?

Are there any games from your childhood that still stand the test of time?
>>
File: PUB3774397055.jpg (11KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
PUB3774397055.jpg
11KB, 620x349px
>>54017237

>What's that game? You know, the one you played a bunch as a kid, but you realise now wasn't that great?
Atmosfear/nightmare, it's shit, but fuck me, I still love it. TO THE BLACK HOLE WITH YOU ! MAGGOT ! I have almost everything they came up with : first game, all three expansions, the harbingers, the soul rangers, the dvd game, and even that Khufu game that was only avaialble in some parts of the world.

>Are there any games from your childhood that still stand the test of time?
Nah, it's all junk
>>
Cthulhu Wars is back in stock, can anyone here who has played it say how it compares to CitOW, Blood Rage, or Kemet?
>>
>What's that game? You know, the one you played a bunch as a kid, but you realise now wasn't that great?
Sadly my boardgame childhood was all garbage like Monopoly, Scrabble, Yatzhee, Clue. Games so bad not even the people who buy them actually enjoy them.
>>
File: Damn pallys.jpg (265KB, 1066x918px) Image search: [Google]
Damn pallys.jpg
265KB, 1066x918px
>>54017237
>thread
>no /bgg/
Heresy

>childhood
Stratego, which doesn't quite hold up as well, but can still be fun. LotR: Confrontation redid it better though
>>
>>54018248
I still enjoy playing Stratego every now and again
>>
>>54018318
It's the best of mass market, aside from maybe the SW:Risk (Ackbar's Gambit); but LotR has just that little extra theme that makes it better for me.
>>
File: nostalgia.jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.jpg
22KB, 500x375px
>>
>>54018157
I can compare it to Kemet, since I've played both

Kemet is all about the fighting man-to-man. Cthulhu Wars you can fight plenty, but often times it's more profitable to plan careful moves, harass, and only strike in a surgical manner Maybe that's just because I've got the most games under my belt as Yellow Sign and Crawling Chaos, but multiple factions (even everybody) can coexist within a territory without having combat -- though if there's a gate in the region only one player can control it, that's hardly the only reason to be somewhere.

Similar to Kemet, action economy is CRITICAL, and the timing of your moves is going to be deadly important. Unlike Kemet, which has a fixed number of actions for everybody making it about turn order, Cthulhu Wars has your reserve of power, and more potent actions will generally cost more power (this is somewhat true of Kemet but you can action to gain resource and still only have N moves, good or not). But, you can't pass without being out of the round, which creats a cool mechanical tension where you have a big dramatic move you want to make and have to decide whether to fire it off early and take loads of potential responses and retaliations, or slowly bleed power rearranging desk chairs or taking minor moves, hoping your intended victim will short himself. This becomes especially important when summoning your Ancient One because (other than resummons of Cthulhu) it costs a LOT of power and will almost certainly let your opponents run rampant for a good chunk at the end of the turn. On the other hand, you'll have your god on the board which comes with a lot of benefits
>>
My deadbeat uncle gave me an anniversary edition of Monopoly - it's the best thing he ever did for me, as it made appreciate learning something more complicated than Snakes & Ladders.

I still like Uno.
>>54018086
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BCB-mvwV8
>>
>>54017237
Only now do I realize that Monopoly and Risk are enormously flawed and are not fun to play.

I can't think of anything that I played way back when that I'd still want to play today.
>>
>>54017237
where in the world is carmen sandiego was my game back in the day
>>
File: top10boardgames.jpg (147KB, 857x878px) Image search: [Google]
top10boardgames.jpg
147KB, 857x878px
How do we stop this from becoming any worse?
>>
>>54022671
You can't stop Cult of the New without falling to the curse of the Hipster.
>>
>>54022671
>overproduced, overpriced legacy games taking the world by storm
I swear this hobby will completely go the way of video games within the next few years.
>>
>>54022801
Is that what they call people who don't want to play gateway games for the rest of their lives?
>>
>>54017237
Hey, I had that game, probably still have my mom's attic
>>
>>54022671
System is already in place, just adjust the dummy ratings harder down. No one knows the exact algorithm already, so it wouldn't be hard to do.
>>
ok /bgg/, recommend me Euros with high interaction that are preferably not worker placement, the more direct the interaction or more negative sum interaction, the better.

already have Chicago Express, Argent, Imperial and Archipelago, Age of Steam is coming in the mail, not convinced that TTA is for me

>>54017237
>games from my childhood that still stand the test of time
motherfuckin' Hero Quest, played a game of it a couple weeks ago actually

everything else from my childhood has most likely been trashed by now

>>54022671
we can't stop the cancer that is the increasing influx of adult babies who like their games to not be "mean", or need a "compelling evolving story" that has a limited shelf life

I'm going to be disappointed when Gloomhaven overtakes Twilight Snuggle
>>
>Playing Secret Hitler for first time
>Be a fascist with one other bro
>Manage to pull off a win
>We decide to play again
>fascist again
>WITH THE EXACT SAME PARTNER
I was very tempted to just stop the game and ask for a redo, but i was Hitler the second time and not the first, and I doing so would have biased the redo (since everyone would know the same thing hadn't happened a third time since I stayed quiet).

Was a pretty fun pair of games though
>>
>>54025149
But did you win the second game?
>>
>>54025346
I did, in fact.
The only fascist thing I did the entire game the second round was bury the winning liberal agenda as president. (Which I was able to blame on not drawing any and called my partner a liar when they had claimed not to draw any)

By the end of the game I was basically a "Confirmed" Liberal, and so got to be chancellor right after we hit enough fascist agendas by pure deck screw for the liberals, so I was the only one that was "Trusted" enough to be chancellor.

It was pretty great.
>>
>>54023982
Keyflower? It's got workers yes but it's also mostly bidding. Scoville too, it's not exactly worker placement and the blocking is fantastic screw the other players. El Grande/Tigris & Euphrates for area control
>>
>>54017237
Almost all of them

>Are there any games from your childhood that still stand the test of time?
Scrabble is still an ok game desu. Also had Scotland Yard which actually holds up pretty well.
>>
Gonna take a minute go shamelessly shill Lords of Hellas since the kickstarter ends in like 10 hours and they're getting close to their last stretch goal. If anyone wants to get in on that and hasn't now would be the time
>>
>>54027779
>$250 for the whole game
I mean it looks fun and all but DAMN.
>>
>>54027841
Yeah but to be fair the only expansion id say you really need is the 6th player City of Steel one. The rest are just fun additions/different win cons
>>
any yall know a good chinaman/slav site to buy cheap counterfeit games from?
>>
>>54025149
>Played Secret Hitler
>Five games, back to back
>Nine players
>Same fucking guy was Hitler for the first 4 games, by fucking fluke.
>Was also the first guy to get executed in the 5th game, on principle.
>>
>>54027779
I'm looking at it and I really like the setting and aesthetics but it basically looks like a dudes on the map plastics pusher with very little nuance to it.
>>
>>54023274

>asmodee is already the EA of boardgames

pottery
>>
>>54018181
>scrabble
>bad
>>
Has anyone had the chance to play Petrichor yet? How is it?
>>
>>54022671
>How do we stop this from becoming any worse?
Ignore the rating average and just look at the velocity/momentum of the number of votes. It's a much more valid metric mathematically.
>>
>>54030568
Fuck does someone do that?
>>
>>54030594
No, but they should.

BGG currently adds some number of 'dummy votes' to counteract when a thousand nitwits give 10's to Gloomhaven without even playing it, but that fundamentally doesn't fix the problem, it just puts a soft floor on the number of nitwits. (I.e., if 500 nitwits give random 10 votes then BGG ignores them, but 1500 random votes will skew the rank.)

Ultimately what you want are games that people consistently keep giving votes to year after year. Ignore their vote (it's just based on random feelz anyways), just keep the fact that they voted.

There's no accounting for taste, but if a game receives consistent attention year after year then at least it's notable enough to pay attention to.
>>
>>54022671
>puerto rico kicked off the list
This is no longer the world I grew up in.
>>
File: kemet cat2.jpg (84KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
kemet cat2.jpg
84KB, 500x375px
>>54019577
what's your opinion on Kemet?

I saw it in a store recently and was interested but it's probably too demanding for the people I could play it with.
>>
>>54022671
Duel is ok game,dammit.
>>
>>54030838
Is it top ten worthy tho?
>>
>>54023982
>who like their games to not be "mean"
Fucking this. I fucking hate this shit so much.
>>
>>54030852
I've never encountered this and I think people on itt are making it up.
>>
>>54030838
I guess no. But it still a better game that tonn of shiity "coops with teh miniaturezzz". With expansion duel deserves at least top 10 games for 2.
>>
>>54030860
Well, just watch internet celebs cucks like Rahdo and learn.
>>
>>54030882 to >>54030840
>>
>>54030860
It's not, my girlfriend gets butthurt when we play games with screw your neighbor type play. Really puts a damper on the sorts of 2p games we can play. I find that it's less pronounced with more players but I definitely knew a guy who would complain that everybody was picking on him when he was in first place.
>>
>>54030711
Kemet (at least without the expansion which has too many unrelated stuff going on) is quite easy to teach so don't be shy. I'd call it "beer and pretzel strategy".

One must is printing all the power tile descriptions for every plater. Without that the game is neigh unplayable.
>>
>>54031646
My girlfriend is the same way, but only with 2P games. She's fine when we can strategically pick who to stab, but doesn't like when it's just the two of us stabbing each other and seeing who comes out on top.
>>
>>54030711
It's lighter than it looks, fairly satisfying if you want to mostly be slamming your plastic mans into the other guy's plastic mans, but still want a bit of strategic opportunity.

There are two necessities from all I've been told. Number one is a cheat sheet for what all the special tiles you can buy do. Number two is the Houserule -- Kemet is one of the few games I've played but don't own, and every time I've played the owner has declared a house rule switching the "Slaves" white tile, normally two-cost, with the "Hand of god" white tile, normally three-cost, because nabbing Slaves turn 1 with a pyramid upgrade left to perform was nearly unbeatable while Hand of God, though still good, doesn't pay off nearly as insanely in the early game
>>
>>54032820
Interesting. My group usually races to a 4-tire tile i.e start with 2-1-0 pyramid configuration, upgrade it to 4th level for entire mana, pray twice, buy the upgrade (especially OP with Initative but I also like it with Divine Will as it let's you use the gold token to move to a temple and recover 2 mana, Priest of Amon is also good, Devourer seems like a counter for Initiative using this strategy).
>>
File: 1437001123179.jpg (992KB, 2560x1670px) Image search: [Google]
1437001123179.jpg
992KB, 2560x1670px
>>
>>54018181
>Clue
>bad
>>
>>54034731
I used to think Clue was the shit as a kid but I played it a bunch with my family this past Christmas and it was kinda mediocre at best
>>
>>54029090
Even as a guy who wins most games of scrabble, I don't enjoy it. It's not a game of interest decisions. Mostly it's just a game of obscure word dick waving and pushing your luck in hope you get a letter you want and hope it maybe can line up with a ridiculous triple word score.
>>
>>54023982
Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates just got a reprint and it's often pretty goddamn direct when you start up wars and revolts. Excellent game.

Shogun, or the newer edition of Wallenstein which is the same game really, would be both definitely euro and very conflicty. Featuring everyone's favourite: the battle tower!

Kemet, Cyclades and their like definitely fall on the euro side of the divide, but they are combat games and should make the cut.

I think I'd agree that TTA might not be what you are looking for. It has wars and aggressions between players, but the majority of the game is very indirect interaction through the card selection, and focusing on your own gameboard.
>>
>>54031646
>>54031956
My gf is the opposite, she only wants to play games where she can RIP AND TEAR her enemies.
>>
What do people think of Spartacus?

What do people think of Imperial Assault?

What do people think of the Dark Souls board game?

What do people think of the XCOM board game?
>>
>>54029090
>No interesting decisions to make
>No interesting player interaction
>Biggest deciding factor is just prior knowledge and if the random tiles you got work with the current board configuration
Awful. It's almost homework.

>>54034731
>Roll and move
>Incredibly trivial deduction
It's very boring
>>
>>54028579
>Was also the first guy to get executed in the 5th game, on principle.
Kek, people want to fuck Hitler because it's Hitler and end up acting like Hitler.
>>
Repost of my question from the other thread :
So I want a worker placement game with a "fun/interesting" theme (I play with normies and they can't look past that).
I narrowed my choices to Dungeon Petz and Champions of Midgard (+valhalla expansion). What do you think I should get ? Do you have other suggestions ?

PS : I plan on getting Robinson Crusoe too but it's a coop and I'm searching for a competitive game right now.

>What's their capacity for heavier games? If they can handle lots of options I might recommend Argent the Consortium.
I'm not sure they will like it. The heaviness and "screw you" will not mesh well with them. If it was an Harry Potter game it would be different though...

>I'm on a similar position, here's my research so far: /snip/ I'll probably just get Caverna after all and have people suck it up.
I tried that with Castles of Burgundy and it didn't work at all... maybe your players will be more open-minded
>>
>>54036401
dungeon petz has a lot of shit going on, so if your friends are as normie as you say they may not sit through the rule explanation. what about above and below? theme is only kinda there but normies love the story aspect. also stone age. everyone gets the idea that cavemen need to eat, etc
>>
>>54036401
>So I want a worker placement game with a "fun/interesting" theme (I play with normies and they can't look past that).
The starvation farming simulator of Agricola is by far the most fun worker placement theme, seriously. Very brutal, but very fun.

Unless by 'fun' you mean 'something to relax to with a beer'. Lords of Waterdeep is something like that, I guess. The theme execution in LoW is really retarded, though.

Robinson Crusoe is a genius game, but it's also a starvation simulator like Agricola.
>>
>>54036215
>What do people think of the Dark Souls board game?
Grindy garbage
>What do people think of the XCOM board game?
Time limited app directed garbage
>>
>>54037090
>The theme execution in LoW is really retarded, though.
By this anon means that Wizards of the Coast made LoW about their D&D city Waterdeep in hopes that people will go "I really enjoy playing Lords of Waterdeep very much. Since Waterdeep is a city in Dungeons and Dragons I think it'd be fun to try out D&D."

And just like that they've spent $100 on the books alone while Wizards sits back and laughs their ass off.
>>
>>54037345
> "I really enjoy playing Lords of Waterdeep very much. Since Waterdeep is a city in Dungeons and Dragons I think it'd be fun to try out D&D."
Has this actually ever really happened though?
>>
>>54037374
Not to my knowledge but what other reason could there be other than to try and trick normies who don't know any better?
>>
>>54037345
Had they actually shipped the game with miniatures instead of colored cubes, maybe.
The theme in LoW feels incredibly thin.
>>
>>54037615
It's really bizzare. There's piles upon piles of artwork, lore text and such. But the theme is so slapped on I don't think I've ever played with someone who didn't call the warrior cubes "carrots".
I'm honestly not sure why WotC decided to make it a worker placement euro.
>>
>>54036215
I liked it. Hard to win and requires a lot of luck but I enjoyed it
>>
I'm wanting to get one of the BattleCON games, which one do you all recommend?
>>
>>54037615
>Had they actually shipped the game with miniatures instead of colored cubes, maybe.
I'm incredibly cynical of everything so I'd guess that cubes are cheaper than miniatures
>>
>>54037769
Devastation if you're not a poorfag, War Remastered if you are.
Fates and Trials are 3rd or 4th purchases.
>>
>>54037656
>>54037615
I'm pretty sure that LoW is popular because of the cube-pushing mechanics, not in spite. There's something immensely satisfying in pushing those cubes for some reason.
>>
>>54037018
They're not that newb to the boardgame thing and I can explain many games without them getting bored. Plus I need some meat on my games.
Stone Age seems to basic but I will look up the other game.

>>54037090
Agricola is specificaly a no-go. We tried it once with my gf (the 2p variante) and she said that she hated the theme and the "cheapness" of the art.
Isn't Champions of Midgard a strictly better Lords of Wd ?
>>
>>54037769
Don't get it if you don't have someone to play with. It's so much better with the more difficult characters but it takes practice to learn which means playing it more then once a month.

Definitely worth it by a large margin if you play semi frequently. Easily one of the best 2 player games for me.

I believe there site has a mock up for 2 characters, print that out first and see how your friend responds to how it plays.
>>
>>54038038
Is the difference just price?
>>
>>54018086
The Black hole?
>>
>>54025456
So a regular game then. Fun for you. Now try it 20 more times and get back to us. I for one fear that it's too RNG'Y
>>
>>54036215
>What do people think of Spartacus?
eeh?
>What do people think of Imperial Assault?
Most people like it, even if it is pretty much a reskin of Descent.
Meme garbage, slow and grindy. Literally its only claim to fame is that you'd be playing Dark Souls; in everything it wants to be as a board game it's KDM's bitch. (Well, except for minimum price)
App driven and real time, it'd have to be a new god among games to come back from that. It is not.
>>
>>54038140
Different amount of characters and different characters all together.

If you like the theme pixel tactics is a fun and cheap game with the same characters used.
>>
>>54031646
>>54031956
>>54036173
You're lucky. Mine will only play cooperative games since she hates losing, it's only okay if we lose too.
>>
>>54038140
Devastation gives you some stupid amount of characters, I forget but it's at least 30. It comes with a bunch of extras like 4 player support, boss mode, PvE, and arenas.
War Remastered comes with 15~ characters and some arenas. Both releases have characters suitable for beginners all the way to expert, Devastation just has more variety. All characters are unique though, so once you know how to play there's really no "wrong" release to buy.
>>
>>54038096
I'm not really sure why it's popular, probably historic reasons. I really wish the cubes had at least enough personality to know which cube is what, nobody ever refers to the purple cube as the intended wizard, it doesn't really feel like you're completing quests with adventurers, but more of delivering resources.

>>54038116
The art on original agricola really is quite horrible. 2nd edition improved on it. CoM I'd say is more fun as it has a lot more things going and the mandatory resource stocking on places that makes worker placement games be actually interesting, but it has all the dice rolling rng stuff in it too which a lot of people don't like as victory may depend on luck even with great strategy.
>>
>>54038405
>it doesn't really feel like you're completing quests with adventurers, but more of delivering resources
That's probably exactly why it's popular. I'm pretty sure people who want a thematic storytelling experience aren't the ones playing it.
>>
>>54038471
Yeah, I mean, it's okay as an introductory game to the genre, but it really lacks in both theme and depth, so I'm puzzled. Maybe the lack of depth is the point of it and I'm just too deep into the hobby.
>>
>>54038405
>CoM and the RNG stuff
Doesn't the expansion Valhalla mitigate the dice rolling part ? When the dice screw you, you can get better warriors
>>
>>54038551
Ah could be, I've only played the base game so not too sure how that goes.
>>
>>54038515
>but it really lacks in both theme and depth
It's highly balanced and tactical. Kind of like the Splendor of worker placement.
>>
>>54026392
Keyflower doesn't interest me, I'll have to look into gameplay videos of Scoville, thanks!

I've seen people prefer Tammany Hall over El Grande, I'll have to look further into those

>>54035832
already own and quite enjoy Kemet, don''t feel the need for Cyclades and Inis

I'll need to take a closer look into Tigris & Euphrates again, used to have it on my wishlist a year and a half ago then I removed it

>>54036173
as a /doom/fag this post makes me really happy

>>54036215
>XCOM
fucking trash that has nothing to do with the vidya, get Galaxy Defenders instead if you want a more authentic XCOM experience
>>
Opinions on descent (2nd ed)?
>>
>>54038953
>has nothing to do with the vidya
That's not really accurate, it mirrors the geoscape part of XCOM, people tend to only think of the vidya as the battlescape.
>>
>>54038745
Oh yes, it's extremely balanced. So balanced, in fact, that it's really fucking hard to make a bad move. You'll need all the cubes sooner or later and they all have the same 4=2=1 value on every space and card. And if you get stuck with any, they're endgame points anyway. It's balanced to the point where the available quests and intrigue cards are more important in tipping the scales than your actual moves.
>>
>>54022671
We stop giving a shit about this list
>>
>>54035113
>>54036326
The strategy in Scrabble isn't only knowing words, it's about avoiding giving your opponent access to any letter/word bonuses (yes, 2 player is the only way to play), even if it means a lower scoring turn, and managing your tileset to plan for long words, so you can reach for those bonuses in one or two turns

I actually like playing words with friends more though. It tells you what counts as a word instantly, so you can try lots of letter combinations you're not sure about. It becomes less about being a human dictionary and more about what I said above. Also I don't play with randoms so cheating isn't a problem
>>
>>54039860
that's true and I don't disagree with you there, but the base and mission parts feel too abstracted for me. ideally I would love those parts to have something more akin to Galaxy Defenders, but with a tile-laying exploration mechanic (say 3x3 tiles or 4x4) that involves relatively quick battles
>>
>>54041888
Yeah the base defense could use a tweak, I think the problem is that'd make it a far different game than the other 3 roles. Right now all 4 play similar enough; watch what's coming, tell others, make sure to manage your own mini game. The intent was probably to make it so once you learned you didn't have to relearn everything the next time you played, because the dice resolution is the same and the problems are close enough, it's just what's new with your deck of cards.

On the whole the game isn't quite the hard co-op I wanted to replace Ghost Stories, but the theme is an upgrade and easier to get casuals into in my experience. I do tend to say "think of that control room in Independence Day" instead of using X-COM
>>
>>54041868
While what you say is true, if what you like is laying tiles and paying attention to which moves you allow, playing some very competitive 2 player scrabble (as if regular scrabble wasn't bad enough) I'd rather play games that are exactly about that and remove the terribly boring words part.
Tigris & Euphrates for example.
>>
>>54040132
When you step back and look at it, it's kinda impressive that LoW was made so well for beginners
>>
>>54038161

The Gatekeeper would constantly BANISH you to the black hole.

It's not as dirty as it sounds.
>>
>buy board game
>has really nice components
>really nice art
>really nice ideas
>really cool themes
>get into playing it
>it fucking SUCKS

Has this happened to you? What's her name?

A fucking board game based on my favorite RPG of recent years...and it's SHIT. I don't know what to do..
>>
>>54044622
>board game based on my favorite vidya ...and it's SHIT
Whew, what a surprise, who could have only guessed it would turn out this way!
>>
Are there any good games for an unlimited amount of players. I organised a boardgame night but now everyone wants to come and i have 16 likely showups. I mean we can pair up which will help, but even 8 seems like a huge number and splitting everyone into groups to play different games limits socialisation among people, most of whom haven't seen eachother in a year and would like to know what's up with eachother seems off
>>
>>54044828
Codenames, Witch Hunt, Ultimate Werewolf
>>
>>54044828
>16
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
Though it's still better than 7. The infuriating number where you almost could play something that isn't a party game or a certain card drafter.
>>
>>54044778
Well I mean there's some decent examples. People have gotten pretty good at using other licenses especially. It's becoming more of a wild card than the guaranteed crap it used to be, but yeah, videogames in particular tend to fall into a pit of mediocrity more often than not. I think people just try too hard to emulate the game rather than creating a game around the idea.
>>
Is not including /bgg/ in the title or OP the new standard? First the previous thread now this one. Fuck you you goddamn retards. Eat shit and die.
>>
>>54037395
>>54037374
You guys don't understand how marketing works. The point of marketing is not doing Jedi mind tricks or far fetched scenarios like you presented but to increase product familiarity/brand knowledge.

Say that a guy is into board games and buys Lords of Waterdeep. This won't make him want to buy D&D rule books.

But if someday he wants to play a pen and paper RPG he will have the familiarity effect working for him - it's more probable that he will choose D&D because he's familiar with it through Lords of Waterdeep.

And this works for ALL licensed content - a person that's familiar with Lords of Waterdeep will be more likely to buy other D&D licensed content.

Not all people who play Chaos in the Old World will play Warhammer. But if someone starts with CitOW and wants to get into minies it's more likely that he'll be into WH.

And that's not the only reason you might want to do a product like Lords of Waterdeep. Some people coming from a D&D background that get into board games will be more likely to buy Lords of Waterdeep because they'll recognize the setting. You have your core audience that will buy everything with D&D in the name so on and so forth.
>>
Anyone have the PNP files for Puzzle Strike with the expansion? Found some old mega links via google but they got taken down.
>>
>>54045053
>>54045251
Thanks
>>
>>54022671
The only ones who genuinelly don't desserve to be in that list are SW:R and Scythe.
Like it or not (I hate it) Pandemic is actually good, and Goomhaven is the best of it's kind because it's kind are all shit.
Twilight Struggle should be #1 tho.
>>
>>54046853
As much as I like Scythe I think it was way to fucking hyped
>>
>>54036215
It's an excellent solo game that was ruined by adding multiplayer.
>>
>>54017237
I remember playing Mille Bornes a lot with my family, but it's been so long that I can't remember enough about the game to say if it was good or not.
>>
>>54046853
>Scythe doesn't deserve
>Terraboring Mars, Inferior way to play 7 wonders 2 player and Dwarf Farmers: The same every time, do deserve to be there

Plebian get out
>>
File: ponte vecchio.jpg (297KB, 708x465px) Image search: [Google]
ponte vecchio.jpg
297KB, 708x465px
>>>/co/93507456
>>54044622
Oh, don't you get me started on this piece of shit...
>>
>>54044622
I tried this one several months ago. I knew it was going to be trash at first sight. Still tried it because I felt bad for the owner. Seriously, what you described never happens to me because I've seen it secondhand too many times. Some people in my game group are the most gullible motherfuckers when it comes to Kickstarter.

I mean I've made bad purchases, but mostly because the gameplay didn't jive with what group likes.
>>
>>54044828
In short, social deduction games
>>
>>54045975
Except the publisher in question has zero track record. As far as video games go, I can't think of an IP that made for a standout board game other than Mechs vs Minions.
>>
>>54044828
2 Rooms and a Boom. I don't like it, but it's way better than werewolf. Maybe get 16 Telestrations boards? It's more of an activity honestly but people like it
>>
>>54045251
Saboteur and Citadels work well with 7. There's also Civilization and Advanced Civilization, but they're out of print and really best as entire day games.
>>
>>54048544
You ever play Telestrations Against Humanity? It's the one time CAH is actually fun.
>>
>>54045251
Have you ever played Shadow Hunters? It's got a social deduction element but I wouldn't call it a party game, and it's best with 7.
>>
>>54048771
Shadow Hunters always feels like someone decided Bang needed more randomness.
>>
>>54044828
>Game that seats 16
Unless you play a gambling game (see:poker) or some variation of Mafia/Werewolf, which works REALLY well with 16 but not for whoever gets ganked Night 1 (or lynched D1 for that matter) and thus IMO is better as a play-by-post than in person, you are really up shit creek. Most mechanisms people would consider good gameplay break down with the massive lag and state change between turns with that many people, so you're looking for a party game which... is probably never going to be good but can at least entertain before letting people break off into pods for more reasonable games.

To that, I note this... Uno isn't a good game, but with extra decks it IS a game that can sit infinitely many players. To improve on the idea of Uno, consider playing Mao. The penalty-calling aspect involves you off-turn, both in trying to decipher the rules (ESPECIALLY once new rules start getting made) and once you think you have something figured out in trying to catch people.
>>
>>54048807
Maybe, but I like it a good deal better.

First, the Hermit cards allow you to get clues to alignment and even role, so it's not purely social deduction but rather evidence-based AND social deduction. Second, the location mechanic feels a lot better than how the players are seated for determining attack range; you're not guaranteed the same potential targets for the whole fucking game. Lastly, at least in my group it's been a lot less prone to the death spiral. With a long health track and no real penalty for nonlethal damage, you've actually got a chance to recover when in someone's crosshairs (the chance to get a turn or two of reprieve also helps that)
>>
>>54048879
>Uno isn't a good game
But it's an AMAZING anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA
>>
>>54048457

Honestly my only real issue with the game is that you can fall behind and thats that, you're done. I like:
The combat
The Resource gathering
The dungeons

But then one player gets a handful of lucky draws, leaps to the front and rapes anyone that touches him. It's fucking bullshit, and I say that as a guy who won 3/4 games he's played. I just drew better cards/resources and there was zero comeback mechanic. In fact, the thing that was supposed to be a comeback mechanic raped everyone else every time.
>>
File: 1465031016781.jpg (140KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1465031016781.jpg
140KB, 500x332px
>>54049106
>post yfw there will never be a part 2
>>
>>54049136
Aren't the dungeons an expansion/separate module? It was so long ago, but I remember fighting monsters off the top of a deck, but "dungeons" weren't something we played with

Honestly the only thing I remember was the opportunity for pvp fights but specifically not doing it because it would make a long game even longer
>>
>>54045251
You can always play the super fun 7 players caverna :^)
>>
>>54048982
I want to make a spiritual successor in the same way SH is an improvement from Bang. There's definitely room for improvement while keeping the same feeling.
>>
>>54048676
>Citadel with 7 players
Don't do it unless you are sure that you have 0 people subject to Analysis Paralysis. It tried it once and it took forever. Great game at 4 players tho.
Mascarade is a fucking great game for 7 but dont go over that or you will get bored between your turn and make stupides mistakes.
>>
>>54038124
>I believe there site has a mock up for 2 characters, print that out first and see how your friend responds to how it plays.
Not that anon but I must be retarded because I can't find it
>>
>>54053082
Looks like it was taken down. I followed the links they posted on tumbler for it but they don't load.

https://level99games.tumblr.com/post/131376702005/download-and-play-battlecon-for-free
>>
>>54054199
Does anyone have a copy of the pnp by chance?
>>
>>54044828
>i have 16 likely showups
The resistance, ladder style. Winning sides of two 8 player games go on to the final game (between 6 and 10 players).
>>
What's that one game in your collection that you couldn't live without?
>>
>>54055305
Ankh Morpork. It's the only game of any complexity that my Dad will play. Also,
I miss Terry, damn it.

I'm still salty at my Dad for laughing at me when I pronounced Mr Teatime's name correctly.
>>
>>54022671
Honestly the worst offender on that list is Star Wars: Rebellion. It's decent, but no fucking way does it deserve to be that high.

>>54048500
Starcraft was pretty good.

>>54055305
Only the ones out of print / super expensive to replace.
>>
>>54048500
>I can't think of an IP that made for a standout board game other than Mechs vs Minions.

Gears of War was damn skippy good (which surprised me a lot) - particularly for a co-op with a deck driven AI enemy control system.
>>
File: bcon.png (35KB, 884x366px) Image search: [Google]
bcon.png
35KB, 884x366px
>>54054293
Whatcha need?
>>
>>54057240
Damn anon, I was just looking for a couple of characters to test the game out with a friend of mine.
>>
>>54057362
https://mega.nz/#!4fZjTb7D!gp4BlCGpEe4w-r4Rg9yC-XIHcHmAroKVo_xur_Vig0I
Here you go
>>
>>54058000
Thanks buddy, you're a lifesaver
>>
So how good really is Terraforming Mars? It's way up there on BGG, people talk it about all over the internet, yet at a quick glance I can't help but feel like it's a competent but not exactly groundbreaking drafter that'll end up largely forgotten in two years when the hype dies down. Or am I wrong and it's worth buying over other games?
>>
If you had to pick one between

Agricola 2016 / Le Havre / Caverna

which one would you pick and why?
>>
>>54059711
I've heard it stated as just another multiplayer solitaire game
>>
File: index.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
Hey fa/tg/uys,

I was recently gifted this game and I...fuck man, I need to talk to someone about this.

The rulebook is a goddamn mess, I've been bouncing back and forth between the rulebook, player boards and 'How-to-Play' videos from the kickstarter to even get a basic idea of some of what is supposed to be happening.

And I need to know, if anyone else here has played this, what the fuck is the point of the Winter cards?

Like, I understand that each scenario takes place in a different season, so you use different cards...but none of them use the Winter cards.
>>
>>54059711
Its good, not great. I can see it belonging in the top 100, not top 10.
Its pretty satisfying engine builder but needs the draft variant to not be too card draw reliant which extends the game too much for some.
>>
>>54059735
Of those 3 I'd go with Caverna because the people I game with won't enjoy the constant tension of Agricola/Le Havre as much as comfy dwarf simulator. Still leaning towards Odin when the next print run comes around, because the Tetris mechanic appeals to my puzzle loving brain.
>>
>>54061146
By idiots that can't into reading other players intentions in order to capitalize on them or hate draft against them.
>>
>>54059711
Haven't played it, but from what I've seen, it's just an euro that people who don't like euros can enjoy apparently. Probably doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to the top 10, but isn't garbage.

>>54061478
>Board game based on a video game
Rip
>>
>>54054199
>>54054293
>>54057362
FYI there's a free official Tabletop Simulator mod
>>
>>54059735
Agricola probs
I don't need another giant game with thousands of bits that requires an expensive 3rd party insert
>>54061688
A Feast for Odin is great. Very glad I got it when I did, it basically sold out in a day
>>
>>54061917
>doesn't deserve to be anywhere close to the top 10
This is something I see thrown around a lot and it really doesn't make sense. If you're talking about "Top 10/100/500" then either you're talking about either a great mechanical game, or a beloved game. Something like Monopoly obviously is neither, but compare TS to Splendor (this isn't the best pairing but BGG rankings have been very niche while the site was unfriendly to casuals). Splendor isn't amazing, it's just a simple distillation of engine building, but it gets played all the damn time and people really enjoy it. TS has so much more going on mechanically, and the people who are going to love it will always rate it a 10/10, but those who have no interest will avoid it, so it's not going to have the popular drive to push it as high once you have a larger pool of voters.

It's like looking at the AFI Top 100 lists, Citizen Kane gets ranked higher because of how it advanced film, not because people like it. Saying a game "doesn't belong" on a top whatever list is just proving you're either an art snob, or incapable of respecting technique. Better to just recognize a game is appealing, and not care about why.

>>54062123
Yeah I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it from the low traffic LGS near me, but I don't like to buy without playtesting. Still it's a Uwe game, it'll be in print for decades.
>>
>>54061917
>Rip

Is it that bad?
>>
>>54062140
Main reason I got it when I did was actually Asmodee's then-recent acquisition of F2Z. Btw I just checked boardgamepricesdotcom. It's in stock

also it's 20 bucks more expensive than what I got it for brand new, but this is expected post-Asmodee
>>
>>54062243
Oh it's definitely expected, but that's why we wait for the Amazon sales during Gencon, or Black Fri/Cyber Mon. At least they're still outside the distribution chain that's fucking over OGS shoppers. That MM clearance email that just went out was really tempting me, and I'm not even in the mood to get new games, tho it'd be nice to get a couple X-wing ships cheap.
>>
>>54062140
You didn't explain what doesn't make sense. I expect the top 10 to be the best 10 games ever, for some given criteria. Games that absolutely stand above the others.
Obviously like all opinions that greatly depends on the person. That's what were talking about here. In my opinion, it does nothing to deserve being that high. What's not to get? Or are you one of those people who, unless they read "this is my opinion" thinks people aren't talking their own opinion when discussing subjective matters?

On a side note I think anyone who includes Citizen Kane in their list of best movies ever is just either an old fart who saw it when it came out and was impressed, or some snob trying to not anger the consensus, because from an objective point of view in this day and age the film is nothing special. Historical relevancy has no place in a "best of all time" list. In some list about innovation or impact on the industry, sure, there it would make sense.
>>
>>54061478
>>54062192
Board games with video game licenses only get posted here by clueless /v/irgins who are begging to waste their money on junk. /v/irgins are an easy target for scam artists

The publisher and designers only have one other credit to their names: MYTH, which was a dumpster fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_FYJix6BA

It was a hard pass from the get-go. This hobby is all about buying from publishers and established track records
>>
>>54062480

Have you played Warbands?
>>
>>54062480
>This hobby is all about buying from publishers and established track records
So how do new publishers get into the market?
>>
>>54062192
Wouldn't know, I avoid games based on videogames like the plague.
They generally are in the mediocre to bad range.
If you're having trouble with the rules (which from what I'm seeins is very common) try checking the bgg forum of the game, make a thread in the rules section if you need. Maybe reddit too.
>>
>>54062580
They work with designers and other industry people with established track records. Or the person in question works for another publisher, makes a name for themself there, and then starts a company. Or they come into the business from a similar business.

The point is, and let me make myself clear, the industry is already full of idiots who have no experience and yet think they know everything. Don't give money to these idiots.
>>
>>54062580
Mostly the go to conventions to playtest/show their games and pick the interest of either reviewers or publishers.
Most don't just kickstart a game whith a licensed IP for easy bucks.
>>
>>54062449
No I fully understand it's subjective but what's the given criteria? If a game doesn't belong anywhere near the top 10, defend that point. Just saying "it't not good enough" doesn't help the conversation here; and while fighting over rankings can get tiresome, it's a lot better than shitposting about the KS of the month.

Personally I find game ratings barely better than those internet quizzes where you ask 20-50 vague questions and then tell somewhat what their beliefs are. It's useless circlejerking; but then again why else are we here?
>>
>>54062657
>it's a lot better than shitposting about the KS of the month.
But that's on my top 10 topics
>>
File: 1487309978053.gif (480KB, 141x141px) Image search: [Google]
1487309978053.gif
480KB, 141x141px
>>54062715
Yeah that one got me
>>
>>54059735
Agricola is the better game. A very brain-burning and edgy game, though.
>>
>>54063016
>edgy game, though

How so?
>>
>>54063159
you can let people starve to death. only edgy if you think too hard about it thematically
>>
>>54063159
I think he meant it more as "keeps people on edge"
>>
>>54046877
I love scythe, but I missed the hype train so I don't know what people expected it to be.
>>
File: 1491259265269.gif (4MB, 298x150px) Image search: [Google]
1491259265269.gif
4MB, 298x150px
>>54055305
Star wars risk: Original trilogy

Yeah, first board game I ever played before I got into the hobby (not including the shit you bought from Kmart / Target as a kid).

I still think it's a better war-game for 3 players than most on the market, the whole 1v1v1 aspect makes it too fucking good when you play with friends.
>>
>>54023982
>Euros with negative sum interaction

Food Chain Magnate? The main complaint I hear of that game is it's "too mean" and you can lose on the first turn. No idea how good it is though. You can try it online.
>>
>>54061478
A surprisingly great game, if you can get past the shitty editing of the rules. Might not be quite worth the price you normally see it at, but if you ever spot it on special - grab it.

You're right with the question about the season cards - the winter ones will see more action with the expansion packs, that also tackles items and the Godstone element of the game. But the seasons are also a self-regulating difficulty setting. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter - the difficulty goes up in that order. So if you're having too easy of a time, feel free to try it on the next season up and see how that treats you.

I only have two major complaints about the game:
1. They're even working on an expansion for it. Items and the Godstone stuff should have been in the base game, ffs.
2. While it's a great 4 player game, things get a bit skewiff if you try to play it with 3 or - god help you - 2 players. Though they offer mods/suggestions for better play at those levels, this is really a game that NEEDS 4 players for a good time.

Also, a word of warning - if you have a player in your group that is generally very convincing in their arguments, they will dominate you in this.
>>
>>54063159
Most games pat you on the back for being a clever boy with those combos and winning is a matter of who has the awesomest powerups.

Agricola is nothing like that. Agricola is a game where nothing works unless you fit all the pieces just right and time your execution perfectly. It taunts you for being too stupid to put together something functional even though you have all the pieces for it.
>>
>>54064296
You've got your terminology wrong, 'negative sum interaction' is not that. 'Negative sum' means that an interaction can result in a net loss of points for both players. (Something like Scythe's combat or whatever.)

Usually people consider negative sum games to be low player interaction, because the average player would usually just forego interaction altogether if the result isn't braindead-simply predictable.
>>
Why can't we have a simple eurogame without 26 potential decisions to make per turn?
>>
>>54065177
Not sure what your problem is, eurogames for kids already exist.
>>
>>54061478
Man, I really wanted to back that game because I love the game it's based on, but I also backed their previous game Myth and the best thing I can say about it is that they accidentally sent me two copies so I made enough money reselling them to buy some decent games.
>>
>>54065755
It wasn't worth taking the risk to back, but now that it's out it is a solid semi-coop.
>>
Are there any light two player games that are considered good by others?
>>
>>54063671
Apparently they wanted it to be a 4X, and were very disappointed when it turned out to be a 2X at best.
>>
File: master of the galaxy.png (1MB, 767x927px) Image search: [Google]
master of the galaxy.png
1MB, 767x927px
Kickstarter campaign for pic related launches in ~3 weeks. There's barely any material about it out there but there's one review on Youtube which makes it sound very interesting.
Anyone here know anything about it?

Here's the review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXQB00oh_o
>>
>>54067338
From what you said I'd stay away from it. It's kind of like going out to eat, not being given a menu, and ordering something because one guy told you that he liked it
>>
>>54067338
>Has the 4 x's printed on the front as a tag line
>tic-tac-toe board
>Looks like another euro trying to follow in the footsteps of Eclipse and doesn't even know what 4x is in the first place
>>
>>54067383
Well hold on there. I never said I'd order anything, because I'm still looking for more reviews or comments or opinions. I'm sure there will be more once the campaign starts and then I'll have almost a month to decide. It's not like I saw that and wired them some money 35 minutes ago. Of course I'll wait for more details to emerge though I've been reading the rulebook for the last 10 minutes and it actually does sound pretty cool.
We'll see.
>>
>>54064594
That's kind of silly. It doesn't matter how many points you have, only whether you have the most - if I can cost my opponents 2 points by costing myself 1, I'll make that trade every time.

Plus, negative player interaction works damn well at preventing moves which would benefit the other player. Take Scythe, for example - combat is often a loser, but because of that it's easy to force your opponent to make difficult choices because of the threat of combat.
>>
>>54067118
Yes, there are lots
>>
>>54067338
>>54067527
I just checked and you can play it for free on Tabletopia. It actually has a ton of plays on there.
>>
>>54067774
Such as...
>>
>>54067913
Oh lol sorry you want to be spoonfed? I'm not doing that today
>>
>>54067585
> That's kind of silly.
What's silly? You're absolutely right, but that doesn't change the fact that Mr. "I-play-a-game-only-once" Boardgame Collector Geek doesn't want to think about decisions like that, he wants """direct player interaction""" that amounts to simple tit-for-tat take-that mechanics.
>>
>>54068141
Don't be an /a/sshole.

>>54067913
Have you tried Lost Cities or Patchwork?
>>
>>54067913
Hide the Sausage is always a hit.
>>
>>54068565
I haven't but Patchwork has been on my radar for a while now
>>
Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition or caverna? I have $80 to spend and this decision is really difficult. I already have Tzolkin, Through the Ages, Viticulture, Scythe, and some others, but nothing in the Fury vein. Anyone weigh in?
>>
>>54069315
Stay far away from FoD. It's waaaay too long. It just doesn't have enough meat on its bones for a 3 hour game. 2 hours is already really pushing it but the game can easily reach 3. Horrible. I recommend Specter Ops. Much better mechanics and it's actually streamlined.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155624/specter-ops
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6MB, 1256x3151px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6MB, 1256x3151px
>>
Please write "/bgg/" in the title, you fuckers.
>>
Just finished a test game of 7 Wonders: Duel and got stuck at scoring the scientific points.

Did they remove the weird scoring mechanics for scientific buildings for 7 wonders (you get more when you have the same buildings, and more when you have different buildings)? Can I just sum up the victory points on the green (science) buildings now, instead of having to look out for pairs and variants?
>>
>>54071179
Also, don't you get extra points for building all your wonders?

>for 7 wonders
for 7 Wonders*
>>
>>54071033
What about Krozmaster?
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2MB, 1366x1618px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2MB, 1366x1618px
>>54071331
>>
>>54071376
>SF Heroclix
Neat!
>>
>>54071179
Yeah, you just sum their Victory points. Science pairs now get you green tokens rather than Victory points, and unique sciences either let you build the Atom Bomb or do nothing, depending on if you manage 6 or not.
>>
File: kill_me_baby_019_yasuna.jpg (63KB, 447x400px) Image search: [Google]
kill_me_baby_019_yasuna.jpg
63KB, 447x400px
>>54072367
>let you build Atom Bomb
>>
>>54072395
You envision a science victory however you want. Me? I like envisioning Babylon developing nuclear weaponry and turning Athens into a crater.
>>
File: kill_me_baby_010_yasuna_smiling.png (257KB, 578x651px) Image search: [Google]
kill_me_baby_010_yasuna_smiling.png
257KB, 578x651px
>>54072449
Just meant to say that I really like the idea, it made me laugh.
>>
>>54071331
Better to play the online version though
>>
>>54069471
>Specter Ops
>Better than FoD in any way shape or form other than being shorter
Nah
>>
>>54073902
The only reason why people fall for FoD is because it's FFG and it looks nice, triggering another case of cult of the new. If you think a hidden movement game lasting for well over 2 hours is a good idea you might wanna try Talisman with all expansions and just sit there pretending to play a game for 17 hours.
>>
>>54073902
its also better in the way that you dont have to write anything down, if were being fair
>>
>>54074048
But original FoD came out 3 decades ago, although changes to mechanics in following editions improved it a lot from what I hear, I wouldn't say it's a case of cult of the new.
I'm not saying the game length is good, but the game has a signigicant amount of differences with Specter Ops that I think make it better.
>>
>>54067338
Looks ok but just doesn't have enough to grab me. The only two games I'm backing on Kickstarter right now are Savage Planet and Rise of Tribes. Going to take a break after that because Lords of Hellas beat my wallets ass
>>
>>54074387
>Savage Planet

Me too brother. Have you played it on Tabletopia?
>>
>>54074521
>>54074387
Oh and I was also thinking about backing Lords of Hellas but I already pumped more than €500 into Mythic Battles which is also Greek Mythology + minis so LoH was a pass for me. Plus I don't like the art style of LoH.
>>
>>54074521
I actually haven't but I was sold on the art style and the gameplay videos sealed the deal. Looks like a lot of fun and the price is just right

As for LoH I could see the style turning people off but the gameplay looks fantastic and you got a ton of value through stretch goals. Mythic Battles looked good but I wasn't super sold on the gameplay
>>
>>54067814
Probably all designer playtesting
>>
I have a large group, we usually get between 4-10 people and all enjoy Secret Hitler, Bang, Catan, Ultimate Werewolf, we have CAH but honestly I don't like it.

Anyway, am I missing any staple games?
>>
>>54076768
Spyfall, Coup
>>
>>54076768
Well, there's a ridiculous amount of amazing games for 6 or less players.
Eclusively for large groups games I've seen mentioned that people like are Codenames, Two Rooms and a Boom, The Resistance, Funemployed, Dixit Odyssey.
They are mostly party/social games since it's very hard to have any really complex game with more than 6 people. 6 already pushes play time to ridiculous lengths for many supposedly "up to 6 players" games.
>>
>>54077019
I feel like there's a big niche for something at least somewhat heavier for 7+ player counts. I could see it work with action programming and simultaneous resolution.
>>
>>54077314
sure, Captain Sonar pretty much fits that description

as for other heavier games at 7+, there's Civilization/Advanced Civilization/Mega Civilization, Zimby Mojo, Shadows of Malice, Eldritch Horror, Duel of Ages II, Cthulhu Wars with expansions

Cosmic Encounter also supports 7+ with expansions
>>
>>54076768

Codenames

>>54077537
>Eldritch Horror at 7 or 8 players

wew
>>
I recently discovered a somewhat old game that quickly became my all time favorite board game. Ricochet Robot. I need to buy that as soon as it gets republished.
>>
>>54077019
>>54077602
How does Codenames with 10+ play out? When a team is guessing, it only takes one person to guess so do the others just watch their teammate guess or can they all discuss it beforehand?

>>54077731
I've had my eye on this one for a while, what do you like about it?
>>
>>54017237
Hero Quest.
The heroes face very little peril after the first mission.
Even if they're only two.
>>
>>54018181
Scrabble and Clue are solid games.

Yahtzee ain't all that bad. Not good though.
>>
>>54077971
It's completely balanced. I'm no fan of Eurogames, but I do like the idea of a game being balanced. It's got an almost unlimited number of permutations. It's very logical. It's challenging. Luck isn't a major factor. Solitaire play works really well. It's just a perfect game all around for me.
>>
>>54078008
They are absolute garbage, look further up if you want some reasons.

How can you even think yahtzee isn't all that bad, it's literally rolling dice, seeing what you're closest to, and trying to get certain combinations by luck. The dice rolling is not incidental to some other mechanic, it's the game itself. There's zero player interaction, the game is mostly luck and the strategy is minimal. There's zero redeeming aspects.
>>
I've been working on mnemonics as a hobby. Got a 20-item peg system down. Next I'm going to work on the major system.

Anyway, two questions for you:

>1. Are there any good sets of cards made for that concentration/memory game? Preferably with solid backs so nobody thinks I'm using marked cards if I take them out to play with friends.

>2. What are some good board games where the ability to memorize things in detail will help you do very well?
>>
>>54079794
>good board games
>the ability to memorize things in detail will help you do very well?
Generally on all deck based games if you know all the cards on a given deck and can keep track of which have already been playing, you can do better than if you didn't.

As a note, I can't think of any good board game where the main mechanic is memorization, probably because that mechanic is awful. Might as well do something useful and learn a foreign language if you want to memorize things just for fun. There's even already software that keeps track of what you learn in a "gamified way" and has flashcards.
>>
>>54079982
Oh, I don't mean memorization is intentionally a mechanic; just that the game assumes you can't memorize things stupidly well.

Also, I enjoy mnemonics because I can adapt them into party tricks, and yes, they're also useful for learning a language.

Today at work I looked at a list of 20 items for about 2-3 minutes, then for the rest of the night, if someone said a number between 1 and 20, I could tell them the thing at that spot in the list. Some of my coworkers lost their shit and called other people over to try. It's a lot of fun.
>>
>>54080023
>>54079794
I'm also working on mnemonics and got the method of loci down, but peg systems are a bitch. Those fuckers just don't look like anything to me. The best associations I can come up with for the shapes of numbers are variations of hooks, harpoons, fishhooks and more hooks.
>>
>>54081325
Oh, and "0" is an egg. A big egg.
>>
>>54077971
Of course the whole team can and should discuss the clue from spymaster. If anything, a team of 4 or 5 makes it even more fun when there's more chance that one or two players from the team pick up completely different association from the clue than the spymaster intended, and lead the whole team sidetrack.
>>
>>54076405
Which would be good right?
>>
>>54078677
>They are absolute garbage, look further up if you want some reasons.
Look further up for the counter arguments. Or try to argue it yourself.

>How can you even think yahtzee isn't all that bad, it's literally rolling dice, seeing what you're closest to, and trying to get certain combinations by luck. The dice rolling is not incidental to some other mechanic, it's the game itself. There's zero player interaction, the game is mostly luck and the strategy is minimal. There's zero redeeming aspects.
There's strategy to which types of number combinations you go for and decide to keep. It's not just rolling dice.
>>
>>54082969
>There's strategy to which types of number combinations you go for and decide to keep. It's not just rolling dice.
Yes, that's covered in the "minimal strategy" part of the sentence.

>Look further up for the counter arguments. Or try to argue it yourself.
I already did, further up.
>>
File: 54644646453.jpg (100KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
54644646453.jpg
100KB, 500x477px
>Everyone always wants to play monopoly and won't try anything else
>>
File: champion of the wild.jpg (4MB, 4286x4696px) Image search: [Google]
champion of the wild.jpg
4MB, 4286x4696px
>Three events are first selected - one from each of five different categories (speed, power, endurance, technical and team). These events can be any measurable activity, examples including the 100m sprint, high jump, ballroom dancing and hide-and-seek. Players are then dealt a hand of animal cards to choose from and must select one single animal to represent them across all three events, competing against the animals selected by the other players. These events are then played out by way of animated discussion and players then vote according to their opinion on the likely rankings. Votes score points for the appropriate players and the player with the most points after three events wins.

Sounds like a fun conversation-driven social/party game. I can imagine being drunk and playing this with friends and people starting yelling about who'd win the hide and seek event, the fly or the ant.
What do you guys think?
>>
>>54083318
>Everyone always wants to play monopoly
I have never in my life met anyone that actively wants to play monopoly.
It gets played, and people own it, but generally it's some sort of last resource.
I've met plenty that think Monopoly is all there is to board games though.
>>
>>54083318
It still boggles me that such people exists.
Usually nobody wants to play monopoly. You see people own it, and use it as a last resort against boredom, but that's about it.
But every now and then, you find some asshole that actually likes Monopoly for who knows what reason.
>>
>>54069315
>>54069471
>>54073902
As someone who owns FoD I'll be the first to say it has its flaws. After a game or two the beginning will always play out the same (Hunters stock up while using Mina's ability to try and find what area Dracula is in), the game can be quite long, and experienced players will always be at an advantage. However, it's still the best hidden movement game that I've played for several reasons.

Firstly, you can adjust the difficulty quite easily for either side. In Specter Ops it's highly likely that one side will just obliterate the other and, IMO it's hard to get a tight game where both sides feel close to victory. And there's not really much you can do to alter the difficulty for either side short of playing below your ability. In FoD you can take away, limit, or allow full use of Dracula's power cards to help balance out the game easily.

Secondly, it's much harder to cheat in FoD. The pen and pad method in other games is so easy to scam. This shouldn't be an issue, but it has come up before (whether it was intentional or not I don't know).

Thirdly, and this is just personal preference, the theme in FoD is fantastic. Specter Ops' theme is....present, I guess? If anthropomorphic animals in some sort of sci-fi... place appeals more to you than gothic horror then get that game I guess.

I also haven't played Letters from Whitechapel to be honest, but I don't see much in the rules that would make me think it plays any better than FoD.

>>54074048
Are you fucking retarded? as >>54074236
pointed out the game isn't new, and even the latest edition came out in 2015 so it could hardly be called "cult of the new" anymore. Also the FFG logo is more likely to cause detractors due to the shitty business practices of their parent company Asmodee.
>>
>>54083784
As someone who also owns FoD, the long ass play time definitely shouldn't be glossed over, especially when even after fast fowarding the game to the final week, it still took atleast 105 minutes to complete. It'd be interesting to compare how Whitechapel fairs against it honestly, especially for those who would rather not have the many bells and whistles FoD has.
>>
>>54083784
>new overhauled edition all shiny and everything doesn't feed into cult of the new

Sure thing friendo :^)
>>
>>54083887
>a 2 year old game which is going out of print likely to never return is still considered "new" in this industry.

Sure thing buddy.
>>
>>54084058
Obviously now the draw has faded but when it came out and for several months after that it certainly fed into cult of the new. Think before you post. Don't make me spoonfeed you.
>>
>>54083884
Cut it down to 1 week, remove drac abilities, have the win condition be the players guessing what city Drac is in at the end of the game.

Drac scores based on how close they are, based on the shortest path.

Rince repeat with everyone as Drac, best score wins. It cuts down play time and everyone gets a crack.
>>
>>54083318
>>54083533
>>54083618
This. I think Monopoly peaked sometime around late 80's - early 90's. Now only crusty oldfags play it, modern kids aren't familiar with it and hold no nostalgic feelings as far as I know.

(I think Uno replaced Monopoly as the default normie game nowadays.)
>>
>>54084094
>EVERYTHING IS NEW WHEN IT COMES OUT
>I WAS TALKING ABOUT IT WHEN IT WAS NEW GUYS, JEEZ JK
>EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS NEW
>>
>>54083887
But, the conversation was about the merits of the game. "Cult of the new" referes to how newer games are more popular than older ones (in popularity rankings or how people talk about them).
We are talking about the qualities of the game and comparing it to others, so I don't see how that applies, nobody is going "it's new" as some reason for it being better. (Moreso because the other game is also "as new" so that doesn't even float)
>>
>>54084117
You underestimate how long a week takes to get through.
>>
>>54084351
I've played the game, and the mod I suggested.

To be fair though, my group is used to the game and we can play it fairly speedily.

At worst you just play it once and note the score for next time,
>>
>>54081325
Try sounds. That's what worked for me.

One, gun. Two, glue. Three, three. Four, door. Five, hive (as in a bee hive). Six, tricks (or Trix). Seven, heaven. Eight, gate. Nine, wine. Ten, hen. Then for 11-20, I just hard-memorized a few, and others I associated with things that made sense for them. Eleven, Cheetos (not sure why). Twelve, shelves. Thirteen, black cat (because of the unluckiness theme). Fourteen, a friend whose surname is Valentine. Fifteen, my first love whose birthday is on the fifteenth. Sixteen, candles (like the movie). Seventeen, jelly bean. Eighteen, cigarettes (because that's when you can first buy them). Nineteen, a kiss, or even sex (because that's when I did both for the first time). Twenty, plenty (because it rhymes). And I can do through 21, because blackjack.

Works for me, anyway.
>>
>>54083530
Ant would win. Flies can't move silently so you'd know where to look as long as you paused between numbers when counting.
>>
>>54084094
Are you aware that a lot of people who'd heard about or played previous editions of FoD were hoping for years that it would get a reprint, and then jumped on it, and that's a large part of why it sold so well when a new edition was released?
>>
>>54083530
It's not really a game so much as Betty Crocker's Conversation Helper. Which is a useful niche for geeks, I suppose, but I already have Superfight.
>>
Well. I liked the Dungeons and Dragons Boardgame really much. I remember playing it as a teen with some friends. We even made our own scenarios. I played it yesterday with the same dudes and it wasnt all that great. I mean, its a kinda good game but you can just play normal D&D instead.
>>
>>54061478
>Getting a free Bellower from Saga 3's KS
>Kind of interested in Warbands but have heard so little good about it

Dude's better off as a display piece, isn't he?
>>
I've fallen into the KDM hole and now a part of me is fully willing to pay 750+ for core and expansions, It just touches all of my autism points and now im worrying if I can ever buy the thing from a non marked up ebay seller. Does poots ever do sales on his site for the core game anymore or do I have to wait for the kickstarter to finish printing and hope to snag a copy before it sells out?
>>
>>54085201
Warband is great, once you've got the rules down. It's not as Easy-to-lose as something like Pandemic, but its real easy to forget you're all on the same side - especially when the cunting warmaster forgets to kite the fucking sledge thrower and your gold bannerman gets crippled as a result.

The real trick of the game is to keep everyone on the same side as your warband disintegrates around you. The game does a great job at making every role feel like they are the most vital to success.
>>
>>54085211
>has sunk 2k in the KDM hole
>no ragrets
>not even one little letter
>>
>>54085211
If you want a core game, part of the reason 1.5 happened is because Poots sold the fuck out, and much faster than he had anticipated. Once 1.5 starts delivering, though, the supply should hold out for some time. It'll probably be available for presale if not real sale during Gencon (Online or at the con; 1.0 was and that's how I got it for 250 rather than 400) and he does absolutely insane sales for Black Friday every year. Don't be fooled by the 2020 on KS, that's his date for delivering the last of the unplanned addons that need to be developed from scratch, core games are dropping this year, and possibly even soon.
>>
>>54083533
You haven't met my sister. She truly loves Monopoly and refuses to try any other game.
>>
>>54085538
>You haven't met my sister. She truly loves Monopoly and refuses to try any other game.
How old is she?
>>
File: i wanna die.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
i wanna die.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
I've been getting more and more frustrated by my gaming group over the past few months.

It being the summer time, most of us have a little more time on the weekends and less pressure since some of us work in education and other's have reduced obligations during the summer. At the start of them summer, the general feeling between everyone was 'alright, more time for games'.

But what has actually happened is nothing has changed. If I don't plan and prepare everything, literally nothing will happen. Everyone constantly states their enjoyment of time spent gaming and says they look forward to the next time, but if I don't set forward a time and remind people several times, literally nothing ever happens. And no one else will put forth any effort to make things happen.

It's been this way for over a year and it's starting to get tiring in that it feels like I metaphorically have to drive to people's houses and drag them out and pull a Weekend at Bernie's in order for a meetup to happen and it gets tiring because I'm not the kind of person to enjoy planning events.

I've brought this up to the group more than once and they all stated they'd make more of an effort to get things rolling, but again, no change. I've asked each person alone and candidly if they did or did not enjoy playing games and each said that they really enjoyed the time spent together, so I don't know what the fuck is going on.

Does anyone else have a problem with lazy groups/group members?
>>
>>54085663
It's pretty common. Most people are ruled by inertia: unless kicked in the pants, they'll keep doing whatever it is they are doing, so generally in any group someone loses the game of russian roulette and becomes The Planner.

The best antidote for being stuck in the Planner's seat is to create a pattern. If you get people into the habit that meetups are every other saturday, they will start coming every other saturday and treating every other saturday as spoken-for time. Become part of the routine. Become what inertia guides them to.
>>
>>54085538
Does she see herself as 'good' at Monopoly? You could make a bet that if you win she will play a different board game with you.

Then you play to win.

1: KNOW THE RULES AND PLAY BY THEM (free parking isn't an immunity space or a place where money piles up, it's literally just effectively a blank space, properties that aren't bought outright by landing on them get auctioned)

2: Create a monopoly as soon as possible. Grab a three property monopoly asap and start building houses on them, three houses if possible. DO NOT UPGRADE TO HOTELS

3: Work on another monopoly, preferably right next to your first monopoly. Get more houses, try to get 3-4 on each property. This will create a housing shortage because there's only so many houses in the game and when the supply runs out, no one else can build houses/upgrade to hotels. DO NOT UPGRADE TO HOTELS

4. Despair and loathing. Whittle people down bit by bit, taking properties from them in lieu of payment for a while, but then once your dominance is established, force them to sell it for cash to pay off their debt.

(paraphrased and shortened from the guide picture that used to get posted here)
>>
>>54085612

>>54085800
Really good advice. I keep asking her why she likes it and she goes "because it's fun". As much as I loathe monopoly, I may have to bite the bullet and play by the official rules and show her just how bad of a game it is
>>
>>54085800
>Create a monopoly as soon as possible
And this is where it all falls apart.
Unless he plays with his 5 year old nephew as well and scams him mercilessly.
>>
>>54086569
If you're playing properly with auction rules and can't create a monopoly without scamming you need to work on your math.
>>
>>54084582
The Boardgamer's Mnemonics:

Zero,
One,
Two,
Three,
Four, Four-leaf clover
Five,
Six, Dice
Seven, Crack (player number at which complex games start being impossible to be played)
Eight, Infinity (mechanics telling you to remove or get all the things being marked with infinity signs)
Nine,
Ten,
Eleven,
Twelve,
Thirteen,
Fourteen,
Fifteen,
Sixteen,
Seventeen,
Eighteen,
Nineteen,
Twenty,
Twentyone,
Twentytwo,
Twentythree,
Twentyfour,
Twentysix,
Twentyseven,
Twentyeight,
Twentynine,
Thirty, Wizardry (because, you know...)

Or:

4, Four-leaf clover (association with luck and /bgg/)
6, Dice
7, Crack (player number at which complex games start being impossible to be played)
8, Infinity (mechanics telling you to remove or get all the things being marked with infinity signs)
30, Wizardry (because, you know...)
>>
>>54086805
Clearly, because math saves you from roll to move and people buying anything they land on with the free supply of "pass start" money.
>>
>>54086922
Zero, TI3 (how many times per year you get to play it)
One, Zee Garcia (motherfucker loves solo games)
Two, a coin (the smallest dice)
Three,
Four, four-leaf clover or caltrop (d4)
>>
>>54085663
>pull a Weekend at Bernie's
What does this expression mean? Sorry, not a native speaker.
>>
Ok, I'm looking at Vast: The Crystal Caverns, and it seems there's a few more roles (Ghost, Ghoul, Nightmare Unicorn) in an upgrade bundle. Does anyone have the game and can tell me what they do?
>>
>>54086982
So you've never played by the rules then. If you're auctioning properly you either control the board or run the other person out of money and passing start isn't enough to keep them from having to mortgage to pay rents.
>>
>>54086987
There is a movie called "Weekend at Bernie's" where a rich guy dies and the protagonists have to pretend he's still alive during a party in order to avoid implication in his death. So they prop him up and handle him almost like a puppet.

A clip from the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt2g7kyY4QU

What I'm saying is that I feel like I'm having to drag them around as if they are lifeless corpses in order to get them together to play games.
>>
>>54087152
I see, thank you.
>>
>>54084399
Yeah that's fair, my group takes like 3 -
4 minutes per person a day including banter and discussion, so you can see how that builds up quickly. The mod I used was:

>advance to final week, with 2 despair tokens
>hunters draw up item and event cards to hand size + 2, setting aside play immediately and dracula cards
>for dracula event cards, just draw and discard the bottom 5 - 7, take any that pops up
>place 6th place location card face up, hunters choose a player to put down their character first
>place 4th and 5th place location cards face up, two more hunter place their characters down
>place 3rd place location face up, with an face down encounter card. Last hunter places their character
>place the 1st and 2nd place location cards face down, with respective encounter cards

Lets us dive right into the chase and giving an edge to the hunters while not completely crippling Dracula. There's plenty of places you could modify to bump the difficulty too, like keeping the 3rd place face down, or shuffling in set aside Dracula event cards before drawing for Dracula. I have a "don't run to sea unless I close myself off" gentleman's agreement too, since the hunters haven't won even once yet, and they don't want to switch Dracs until they beat me.
>>
>>54083318
Why not play one of the less shitty versions, like Tropical Tycoon or the new Star Wars Monopoly?
>>
Ok /bgg/, help me out:

Me and my friends just started playing board games recently and we need new stuff.
So far we've been playing Zombicide Black Plague and Eldritch Horror and we love both of them.
Any recommendations?

I assume this is in the pastebin but I can't open them at work, so please spoonfeed me.
>>
>>54088622
It really depends completely on what kind of game you want, so you'll want to give some more info.

What's the size of your playing group generally?
Is there some theme you'd prefer? The two games you mention are much more thematic than mechanistic, is this your preference for the next too?
Is there some mechanic you would find interesting? Co-op, deckbuilding, worker placement, area control, auctions, combat, etc.?
>>
>>54088847
Thanks, anon!
My play group usually consists of 5-7 people.

I don't have any preferred theme.
As I said, aside from the really popular games like WAR, ticket to ride, etc. we haven't played much of anything.

As for the mechanics, auction is really the only one I don't have any interest in.
>>
Do you all recommend the original Camel Up or Camel Up cards?
>>
>>54082669
A good sign maybe but not necessarily indicative of quality
>>
File: CodenamesSetUp.jpg (178KB, 849x594px) Image search: [Google]
CodenamesSetUp.jpg
178KB, 849x594px
>>54088994
Stretching up to 7 rules out a lot of games. Some proven good ones I can think of:

Codenames - great word association game between two teams. Fun as hell, excellent as a filler between other games or as a longer session too, makes for a solid party game too.

7 Wonders - Card drafting and civilization building game that seats anything from 3 to 7 very reasonably. Not very conflicty, more about building your own empire while keeping eye at your immediate neighbours happenings.

Mysterium - A solid co-op deduction game, if you're looking for something a bit lighter than Eldritch Horror (especially at a higher player count - wouldn't eldritch it up with more than 4 myself).
>>
>>54089470
Once again, thanks anon!

Those 3 seem really fun and I know for a fact I can buy them at the nearest store.
Also, if I can abuse of your good will, what would you recommend for a smaller group?
You got me curious saying that some were ruled out.
>>
>>54089538
Not them but Carcassonne is my go to for 5 or less. If you by an expansion then you can push that 5 to 6
>>
>>54089470
>wouldn't eldritch it up with more than 4 myself

Yeah, well, our first Eldritch game was a 7 player game. None of us knew the rules and had to read the rulebook as we played.
Lasted about 8 hours, it was pure hell. We were decimated by Cthulhu, too.
>>
If you have neither, which should you get?

Dead of Winter
Dead of Wnter: The Long Night

My go-to reviewers are split on the issue.
>>
>>54089470
Codenames is build entirely around metagaming, the more players know about each other, the crazier hints they can pull.
>>
>>54090984
I've heard that the long night adds so much more than the base so that if you have neither, that's the one to get
>>
>>54090984
Neither
>>
>>54091312
But semi-coop survival with event triggers and hidden roles sounds so fun... ;_;
>>
>>54091340
Also: Crises, resource management and scenarios.
>>
>>54091340
Which is fine. DoW is not. Boring simplistic gameplay where the traitor can win without needing to actually traitor and the central gimmick gets tedious after the first few turns.
>>
>>54091389
What would you recommend instead that fulfills all those criteria?

Or at least has those mechanics:
>crises
>traitors
>resource management
>hidden resources

Which other games even have event triggers ("crossroads")?

If no other games have all those, then, albeit DoW may be bad, it's still the game you have to go to, if you're into all that.
>>
>>54090984
The long night adds / fixes a few items and would be the better choice of the two if you're only getting one of them.
>>
>>54091467
Not the Anon whining about DoW - but you might also look at Specter Ops as another game of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUS0uccdRMM
>>
>>54022671
Love and bought Twilight Struggle, but can't find willing players.
Looked at Scythe, seems to me overhyped.
Played 7 Wonders Duel, is worse to me than original.
Caverna looks like overgrown Agricola.
Liked Puert Rico, maybe too long gameplay?
Bought Terraforming Mars after long consideration and it's minor hit with my game group (is not perfect, but ok, easy to explain compared to Civ). Probably will buy add-ons.
Played Civilization several times and it feels rather bad to me.
>>
>>54025149
actually played it too (even printed cards etc); it's quite ok, though I dislikes 'mafia' games
>>
>>54091903
Forgot to mention the most important aspect:
semi-cooperation
>>
>>54036215
>Spartacus
have movie feel, quite ok for 4+ people, probably to long, not a fan of combat system
>Imperial Assault
it's basically Descent's remake; it's pain in the ass to explain how to play to new guys; playing is ok (maybe more interesting for bad guy), though as i recall campaing progress is of not so much importance - last scenario decided everything
>>
>>54036401
word of advice: try to play/watch Robinson - it's quite peculiar game. It's hard to learn and explain to new guys, and I say from own experience quite hard to win. Was moderately fun to play (indeed, we had keks), but not worth to buy for me.
>>
File: unnamed space game.png (183KB, 1456x1380px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed space game.png
183KB, 1456x1380px
So a while ago, I proposed a eurogame in which if one player loses, everyone else does. Someone added that bluffing could be a major part of the game. I took it to the next level and fiddled around with mechanics and set areas a little and this is what I came up with. Please note that it could be majorly unbalanced. This is just a concept.
>>
File: samurai.jpg (164KB, 1200x651px) Image search: [Google]
samurai.jpg
164KB, 1200x651px
>>54089538
For a smaller group, there's a shitton of good games one could go for. Again, what kind of themes and mechanics interest you or your group matters the most.

Some personal favourites at 3-5 range that should even be fairly available:

Samurai is my favourite from profilic German euro designer Reiner Knizia. It's a really elegant tile-laying game set in medieval Japan, that scales beautifully from two to four, with a wicked scoring system. As with every Knizia game, it's pure euro style and mechanics over theme. Samurai manages to be just the correct amoung of brain tingling on what the next move you make might be.

Puerto Rico is at this point a proven classic about colony building somewhere in west indies for 3-5, utilizing an excellent role selection system which keeps the game rolling at very nice pace. Things change a ton based on what strategies the other players are working on, and you have to learn to adapt. Game maybe is a bit more spartan looking than is the norm nowadays (more iconography would not hurt) but I'll never turn down a game.

Space Alert is a co-op from Czech boardgaming god Vlaada Chvatil for 3-5, where you crew a space ship about to fall apart on a mean glance jumping to scout and unknown sector. It's a very unique experience, where your playing group reacts to a soundtrack explaining what is happening and what kind of threats the ship is facing in real time, setting up a series of actions for each of the crew members, and then doing a turn-based resolution step where you observe how badly your crew screwed up. It's a really fun experience.

Speaking of Vlaada, if you're looking for a meaty fantasy romp, Mage Knight is an excellent game for 1-4. I love it's mechanics and how it all comes together.
>>
>>54044828
split them in subgroups, play shorter games;
play dedicated party games (mafia? pun solving with acting/drawing);
make tournament (bridge?);
for 8 i recall Bang was good, non-competitive Magic with Archenemy wariant (made decks to chose, printed oversized cards and we had blast for like half a year), i think Might and Magic/ Talisman could accomodate such number of players; heck, with tinkering you could play in Twilight Struggle (Congres and president vs First Secretary and Soviet equivalent of Congress; for kicks add roles with spies or a la Secret Hitler)
>>
>>54059711
It's pretty solid. One of rare few games I bought and I intend to keep it, probably buy add-ons. You must like engine growing or card mechanics or randomization of corporate choice/ card drawing, though are few thing I dislike, like no diplomacy, barely any negative interaction or selling card to 'bank' under value instead auctioning to other players; also there were some quality issues. On big plus it's easy to explain (hard to master? time will tell) and with well described self-explanatory cards, so friendly for new guys. Also I like card fluff and game already has fan made house rules and new corporation cards. And not bad solitary mode. Still best to try before buying.
>>
>>54092580
>heck, with tinkering you could play in Twilight Struggle (Congres and president vs First Secretary and Soviet equivalent of Congress; for kicks add roles with spies or a la Secret Hitler)
This sounds amazing
>>
>>54044828
No player limit is in Knizia's Decathlon available from boardgamegeek.com for free (one page of rules!). Basically rolling dices with push your luck in 10 disciplines (for speed make few players roll dice). Compare results, count points, for kicks keep 'world' records for future plays.
>>
>>54092366
I would say the 'one person loses, all lose' could be dangerous thing if not handled perfectly. If someone sees or perceives that they are behind and cannot win, they just might tank the game for everyone else to prevent anyone else from winning (Yeah it's a dick move, but it's neckbeards we're talking about here). There could also be trouble if people have differing levels of involvement in the game, like one player plays a more seriously and another plays more whimsically.

As to how you'd make the 'all lose' condition ironclad against such possible negative outcomes.

It could be simply an 'end game' scenario but the person who triggers that end loses out on some points.

Or you could have certain segments of the board disappear from the repeat failures. Like if the Prime Directive is violated 5 times, the federation bans all interactions with non space faring races, and you can no longer use those actions on the board. Or if someone's health is reduced to 0, they go through naming a successor and place a 'memorial' on a part of the board or something.
>>
New thread?
>>
>>54093561
>As to how you'd make the 'all lose' condition ironclad against such possible negative outcomes, I have no idea.
Fixd
>>
>>54085663
>Does anyone else have a problem with lazy groups/group members?
This is literally how every organization works unless everyone in it is a self driven professional.
Unless there's some sort of manager organizing, scheduling, giving tasks, and putting everyone in check, they won't do shit.
>>
>>54092366
>mindmaps
Muh nigga.

Which program is that? I usually use freeplane.
>>
>>54093561
Well, there might be cards which prevent people tanking. Plus there's the veto powers of commander and security
>>
New thread
>>54094772
>>54094772
>>
> who is bgg?

The age of bgg
>5% 21 or younger
>40% 21 to 30
>35% 31 to 40
>20% 41 or older

Been to a con?
>70% to 80% have

Gender?
>1 or 2 females
> the rest of us are male

Relationship?
>60% single
>20% qt3.14 gf/bf
>20% married

I wonder how close my estimations are...
>As for me:
Im 23 years old, male, single and never been to a con.
>Bonus fact:
started really getting into the hobby about a year ago and i have somewhere around 100 games.
>>
>>54087129
Not that anon, but I play by the rules and you're full of shit. Monopoly is a game of luck until someone gets lucky enough to start fucking over the rest and can't be stopped.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.