[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 393
Thread images: 48

File: 1493536241667.jpg (85KB, 700x929px) Image search: [Google]
1493536241667.jpg
85KB, 700x929px
Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53677473

What is that one archetype you really want to make into XGE?
>>
Is it normal to have a player that you can't stand and would just like to remove from the group?
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByUiTM8fb

Shit on my homebrew, /5eg/. Don't just stop at the name like a lazy anon did. Really shit on it.
>>
>>53682886
He's black.
>>
>>53682923
Right now it's unreadable for me. The chart extends into the other column. Let me know if this is just me or a general thing
>>
>>53682886
IF Mystic is in XGE, i really want there to be 2-3 psionic archetypes for other classes. Otherwise, scrap the whole thing for now. Classes need to bleed into each other in places for them to feel natural in a world together.
>>
I want them to include Stone Sorcerer but do something to make it feel more stoney. As it is it's just an arcane paladin.
>>
>>53682917
Unfortunately, yes.
>>53682942
Like this guy, trying to force a maymay.
>>
>>53682923
Why the fuck would you put 0 in the first level you stupid motherfucker? Even the PHB doesn't do that, you dense cunt.

What the fuck is this class even supposed to be? Some kind of gish? When will that meme die?

What the fuck is this underhanded fighting style? Why would you even consider making such a niche thing and only this class can take it?

Runeblade is a better smite.

Aura of Dread is a bad mechanic.

This class feels like it is themed around being an edgelord gish.
>>
>>53682917
No. Play with your friends.
>>
>>53682990
He is my friend but he's an obnoxious player.
>>
>>53682917
I'm in a similar situation and I'm thinking of just dropping or at least let him do everything. I'm tired of dealing with this classist 'I ROLL TO PERSUADE' bullshit but I'm hoping this blows up in his face somehow.
>>
File: trailrest.png (66KB, 884x659px) Image search: [Google]
trailrest.png
66KB, 884x659px
I'll soon be running a Wild West-type game that has a heavy emphasis on travel and will regularly feature random encounters, not just of the kill-some-monsters type, but little mini-quests and adventures that pop up as they travel the world and wander across weird shit or interesting people with problems.

We're wrapping up SKT first with another DM who has skipped a lot of the "hex crawl" elements and random encounter tables of the module because we agreed everything is trivial when the players know they can dump every resource into a fight and take five long rests before they reach the next important location like a town or our quest destination, and we'd rather get to the cool stuff instead of walk all over five orcs.

We've decided this isn't ideal and want a middle ground between "the party is ready for literally everything on the road as long as they only meet one thing a day" and "long rests take a week, fuck you casters, why take a train if you have to nap in town for six more days anyway".

So we came up with this as a general idea, but haven't bothered crunching the numbers yet. Lay some suggestions or numerical tweaks and ideas for modifiers (both positive and negative) on me.
>>
>>53682923
I second this >>53682985
>>
>>53682886
Knight, I feel like Arcane Archer will be the second Fighter one.

Stone Sorcerer and Shadow Sorcerer are both really good as well.
>>
My game is hitting the end of it's first chapter next Tuesday, and that means it's time for a dungeon crawl into the Unseelie Lord of Summer's domain. However, I'm a first time DM so I'm not sure how to pace out a dungeon without causing a TPK. I know I want the last boss to be a deadly encounter, but how hard should I hit them leading up to it? The party consists of 6 level 4 PCs.
>>
>>53683111
>Unseelie
>Lord of Summer
Don't you mean Winter?
>>
>>53683146
My world has a low (Unseelie) court for each season as well as a high (Seelie) for each.
>>
>>53682964
Seems fine on my end. Homebrewery only works on Chrome it seems.

>>53682985
Yeah, it's an edgelord gish. Supposed to be a class that hunts magic with magic but I think the flavor is way off.

Runeblade is a better smite if you use all the Runescar charges, right? Or did you mean using the 6d6 it's a better smite? I thought the math was 5d8 > 6d6.

I thought the waiting to charge/emptying the Runescar to empower the Runeblade was an interesting mechanic. It would certaintly avoid turn1 novas, I think.

Aura of Dread is bad why?
>>
Does the OGL-SRD contain all the spells from the Player's Handbook?
>>
Are they any sites/spreadsheets etc that compile all the UA in with the core stuff for lists?

I was trying to see how many Warlock patrons there are and I have to look at all these different fucking UA articles and shit. I just want a list for fucksakes.
>>
>>53683241
Yes, there is one in the OP.
>>
>>53683235
No idea, check it out and report back to us you lazy cock nuzzler.
>>
>>53682923
>Saving throws: Constitution, Wisdom
Shit, man, get it together. That's not how saves work, it's supposed to be one common save and one uncommon one. Getting those two right off the gate with zero investment is already busted as fuck.
>>
>>53682972
Copious amounts of cannabis.
>>
Is a V.Human Deepstalker with Resilient (CON) a dick move? That's proficiency in STR, DEX, CON and WIS saves.
>>
>>53683263
That was supposed to be Con/Int, thanks for catching that.
>>
For a Long Death Monk. How OP is this? What rarity should it be? (Treating it as a magic item that just can't be dropped)

>Soul Slurper (name pending)
>Prerequisite- Long Death Monk
>A magic tattoo only given to the highest tier Monks of the monastery of edgy fucks
>Killing a cr 1/4 or greater creature within 5 feet restores 1 Ki point
>>
>>53683314
I'd be really leery about letting someone game their resource system. Maybe limit it to an amount of ki points equal to their wisdom mod per long rest.
>>
What's the term for normal lighting conditions? There's dim light, darkness, bright light, etc.
>>
>>53683241
>>53683251

It's not clearly marked as such but the https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Warlock, is the best option. Lots of the pastebin links like the github one are dead, so the OP is pretty garbage.
>>
>>53683314
I'd make it so you can only have 1 Ki point at a time from it, and that it only works on hostile creatures because the bag of rats test.

So you can basically kill a creature to store some of their Ki in the tattoo, but there's a limit in how much.
>>
>>53683355
Bright light is normal light. Even when it's not bright out. It just means "you can see normally".
>>
>>53683290
Nah, not really. Resilient is a good feat, and CON save proficiency is great to have but it's not insane unless you're a Paladin or something.
>>
>>53683165
>Bicameral governments in DnD
>truly patrician
>>
>>53683388
>My face when medieval fantasy Europe has a more representative parliamentary system than my third world country
>>
>>53682923
>>53682923
Reading this makes me want to write up a literal Edgelord class as a Charisma martial character that intimidates people but actually has a d4 hit die and a class feature for making convincing cosplay armor.

Maybe they would get an even more terrible version of Warlock spellcasting that only gets Fear spells and the Thaumaturgy cantrip.
>>
>>53683379
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>53683314
>>53683372
This anon has a good solution to a possible problem the item could cause.

Soul Slurper is a fantastic name and should be kept.
>>
File: 1493864553633.png (250KB, 716x716px) Image search: [Google]
1493864553633.png
250KB, 716x716px
>>53683424
>Soul Slurper is a fantastic name
>>
>>53683424
Its link to shadow Monks and tattoos and stuff makes me think of Planescape a bunch. The name only helps with that, really. I like it.
>>
>>53682917
If you don't have that player, assume it's you.
>>
>>53683372
I'm avoiding the bag of rats meme by having a minimum CR and requiring an outright kill.

Fun fact- you can get your temp hp by punching a low hp ally in the nuts instead of carrying rats, which can be a decent choice if your healer is in initiative line before the enemies.
>>
>>53683424
It should literally be a tattoo on your tongue.

and maybe the language could be
>you cannot use this effect again until you have spent at least one Ki point
>>
>>53682942
Well obviously
>>
>>53683472
Minimum CR is good... but he could still just go kick a big dog. Most players won't so it doesn't matter much, but you know how players can be sometimes.

Also I can't believe they made Fiendlocks unable to bag of rats, then went ahead and let Long Death do it.
>>
>>53683472
For reference CR 1/4 creatures are things like cows, boars, and humanoids like basic Goblins.

>>53683343
I'd be worried about it but it's a long death monk, arguably the weakest non-wot4e one (until level 11)
>>
Can anybody guide a new player on building a bruiser character that doesn't use magic?

Just want something martial that can both deal and take damage.
>>
Anyone else have trouble with scale on maps? Like how wide, long and tall are rooms and hallways really?
How tall is a wall, it's thickness, what about a tree?
I'm so stupid.
>>
>>53683517
Personally I think the bag of rats meme is fine because it's 100% thematically fitting for a death-obsessed goth monk to dissect a rat to get some juice.
>>
>>53683537
Just play a sword and board battlemaster with dueling
>>
>>53683537
Barbarian bear totem for ultimate damage eating and rage gives damage bonus.
>>
>>53683531
>I'd be worried about it but it's a long death monk, arguably the weakest non-wot4e one (until level 11)
...What the hell are you smoking? Open Hand's good but requires Ki used on one of your worse features, Shadow's got powerful abilities but 2 Ki is pretty heavy price and Sun Soul's basically a Monk throwing darts and bad AoE's. Long Death starts off the bat getting 6 Temp HP on a kill which makes them way more tanky then others, a really good at-will AoE and literally "I chose not to die 11 times per day".

Long Death is probably second best Monk out of the lot, it covers the Monks main weakness of being fragile at low levels.
>>
>>53683537
Right. Fighter or Barbarian, really. Monk gets a bunch of weird-ass 'totally not a spell'' magical shit, and Ranger can still cast magic.
You should look into Fighter archetypes if you don't have a clear idea or direction for your character; there's lots of variety there.

If all else fails, go Battlemaster. It's fun, because you can work a lot of concepts into it.
>>
>>53683537
Play a Dwarven Battlerager Barbarian, get to be a tough little ball of angry fury while also kicking ass.

>>53683556
Same, they are pretty edgy in a way that actually works in a ttrpg.
>>
>>53683537
Close quarters crossbow sharpshooter battlemaster do get high dps and use trip and disarm attacks 4 times in your first turn to stop a charging group dead in their tracks.
Can't help you with survivability there, maybe tough?
>>
>>53683594
I suppose that was poorly worded, a better way to say it is that they don't have good (as in archetype unique) things to spend ki on until level 11.
>>
>>53683550
tree is 5ft by 5ft because I will it, a hallway is 5ft wide and infinitly long. Height is tricky because I draw isometric 3d heightbased maps for my players and usually make a height space twice as big as a floor space because it fits on my scale.
>>
File: Warlock Rework Tentative2.pdf (863KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Rework Tentative2.pdf
863KB, 1x1px
Guys, 2nd draft now, list of changes:
Chain is a Pact Boon again, read the "But Chain is bad..." part for reasoning.
Added the choice of Int/Cha to the class.

Blade: +Pact Weapon as spellcasting focus.
Chain: +Voice of the Chain Master invocation, +one of Raven Queen's feature at 5th.

Eldritch Invocations:
Chains of Carceri: learns the hold monster spell along the rest of the effect.
Eldritch Smite: +Curse Bringer invocation (move the curse to another target)
Beguiling Influence: +depends on Charisma as spellcasting ability.
Otherwordly Leap: change to 5th level requirement so it doesn't compete with Ascendent Step.

Added an invocation called "Unearthed Arcana", is equivalent to Beguiling Influence, but for Int. Looking for feedback if Investigation is too strong because of Passive Investigation, tried to add a skill that Warlock doesn't get, just like Persuasion from Beguiling Influence.

Any critique is welcome.
>>
Does anyone here really like the Path of War from PF? I do, and I was wondering how could I try to incorporate the classes (i'm only really considering Warden, Stalker and Warlord cause I'm more interested in more physical classes). My friend who likes to shop classes has been swapping ideas with me, but I'm curious how you think of them 5eg. I just like the system and mythology of these martial arts things. I think that using the battlemaster is a good platform or starting place, but I'm unsure. I wanna know some other other povs.
>>
>>53683550
I'll second the dwarf battlemaster idea. Go mountain dwarf, get yourself the specialty armor and a shield, and make your starting stats include 16 strength and 16 con before modifiers, giving you 18 in both. When you hit level 3, you're at 18 AC, 38 HP, and do (d8+6)+(d4+6) a round during rage.
>>
>>53683894
Battlerager, not battlemaster. My bad
>>
Continuing with my warlock fixes too. I guess we have some competing fixes.

I think I'm satisfied with the blade pact right now:

>Can switch weapons once per turn as a free action.
>smites limited to specific forms of the weapon, but you can switch back right away basically.
>ranged weapons permitted at the start
>vanilla invocations rolled into base pact.

For the invocations, I standardized any spell granting invocation, except for Chains of Carceri and Conjure Elemental. Now they follow the format: You gain the spell as a warlock spell, can cast it with a warlock spell slot, but once per long rest you can cast it for free.

Conjure Elemental now just lets you learn conjure elemental as a warlock spell. No free casting. Additionally, you can summon other creatures depending on your patron.

Chains of Carceri is supposed to work like so: You can cast the spell once for free, but if the target is a celestial, fiend, or elemental, it doesn't count towards your limit of one free cast per day. though I'm not sure on the wording.
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (107KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
107KB, 1x1px
>>53683944
Doh
>>
>>53683841
Just found this https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/625713874654748672
Guess I either let them share the Magic Resistance or go back to tentative v1 and try again. Thoughts?
>>
>>53682923
>Constitution is your spellcasting ability

Fuck your shit, Con casters are OP.

> Every time you cast a spell or ARE hit by a spell

Hits are only caused by attacks, I suspect you meant spell saves to trigger this as well but it won't as written. Also cantrips are still spells, to eliminate them you either need to specify "cast a spell with a spell slot" or "cast a spell of 1st level or higher".

Divine Sense is to Detect Evil and Good as Mage Hunter SHOULD BE to Detect Magic.

> Underhanded

What's that you say? Bonus action advantage on every attack as long as I use a one handed finesse weapon? Guess I know what literally every rogue is 2-dipping.

> Arcane Recovery & Runeblade

So.. not only do they get smite that's better with low level spells, but they ALSO get more of those slots than a paladin.

This isn't salvageable.
>>
File: 1469179531110.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1469179531110.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>53683965
Why is Mike such a raging fag who hates fun? Just do what works over all man
>>
>>53684013
Mike is generally wrong on most issues, the problem is that when he's wrong, it's still the official ruling.

Same with crawford.
>>
>>53684004
No, I meant 'hit' by a spell, like Eldritch Blast / Ray of Frost. Basically, spells that require a roll to hit. Cantrips included.

Why do you say the smites are better with low level slots?

In my mind, having access to the wizard spell list should put those low level slots to good use rather than just being fodder for Runeblade. But I can see your point.
>>
>>53683894
Highest you can get in a stat is 15 before racial modifiers. I mean, 2 18s at level 4 is still well and fine.
>>
>>53683957
You fixed Bladelock, but still didn't fix that fluff invocations will never be picked.

Learning a spell means Warlock can now cast them whenever they have spell slots, is it intended for them to have polymorph/conjure elemental?
>>
>>53683235
It does not.

The original release (v5.0, listed as v1.1) was missing a bunch; then I and a bunch of people emailed them about spells that were referenced by SRD content but weren't included (EX: Necklace of Prayer Beads casts Branding Smite but it wasn't included) so they released a new version (v5.1). There's still a shit load missing though.
>>
>>53684071
>You fixed Bladelock, but still didn't fix that fluff invocations will never be picked.

Which fluff invocations need improvement do you think?

>Learning a spell means Warlock can now cast them whenever they have spell slots, is it intended for them to have polymorph/conjure elemental?

Yes.
>>
File: 1439806743924.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439806743924.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>Go to D&D tonight
>usual grognards
>we hear a girl is coming that nobody knows, unusual but don't think much of it
>turns out she's cute as fuck, not prissy looking or anything like that.
>never looks at a phone once, is engaged with everything she's being taught (new to the game apparently)
>hella cute face, always smiling, nice white teeth
>when she's not looking, check her fingers for a ring, none to be seen

Oh man, my heart was thumping hard tonight. Cute and was just happy to learn about the game and was totally into it. I got to talk to her a little more personally as I was the only person who had experience playing a monk in 5e of the whole group (as she wanted to make one). I hope she comes back, I'll have to start coming in looking less like a scrub and cleaning up.

One of the reasons I got BACK into D&D was to hopefully meet some girls (they exist), and I did, however, ALL, not an exaggeration, all of them were married already. Who doesn't want someone that shares their interests? All I got was her name and that's all I know so far.
>>
>>53684104
Good luck anon!
>>
File: Schierke.jpg (23KB, 301x251px) Image search: [Google]
Schierke.jpg
23KB, 301x251px
>>53684104
>i want to meet women
>i know, ill go play dnd

god speed, anyway
>>
>>53684125
as said, I have actually met women at D&D, but literally every single one was married. Geek girls exist, not in big numbers but they do.
>>
>>53684104
Just don't be a sperg and, if she isn't interested, don't push it on her.
>>
>>53684092
All of them, there's no point picking Beast Speech if invocations are really limited and I can pick Devil's Sight instead.

>Yes.
You were supposed to fix the Warlocks, not break them.
>>
>>53684170
Why would learning polymorph break the warlock?
>>
File: 0d2.png (122KB, 398x309px) Image search: [Google]
0d2.png
122KB, 398x309px
>>53684139
yeah, I'm aware that I'll have to hold back my nerdom a bit and not drop my spaghetti, make casual conversation and for the love of christ don't bring up anything odd or weird.
>>
File: ruined.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ruined.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>53684188
>inb4 she's super into weird shit and isn't into you because you act too normal
>>
File: 1365179781906.png (175KB, 482x436px) Image search: [Google]
1365179781906.png
175KB, 482x436px
>>53684240
anon plz i don't need that kinda bad luck in my life
>>
File: 1469399078177.jpg (54KB, 546x896px) Image search: [Google]
1469399078177.jpg
54KB, 546x896px
>>53684255
Of course you do, anon.
Why else would you be here with the rest of us?
>>
>>53684013
>no Magic Resistance forever = hating fun
Not only are you stupid, but you're wrong about Mearls being the NOFUN guy. That's Crawford. Mearls rules 90% of the time in favor of whatever makes the game most fun, and the other 10% is "this is how it works RAW, but do whatever you want."
>>
>>53682886
So, is Oath of Conquest supposed to be trash or what?
>>
>>53684183
Warlock spell list was made entirely to avoid them being able to spam those kind of spells, you're giving them plus one free use while not taking anything away from it.
>>
>>53684335
Crawford isn't no fun either, he just actually answers rules questions by referencing the rules.
>>
>>53684364
>>53684364
>Warlock spell list was made entirely to avoid them being able to spam those kind of spells

What kind of spells are those? What, specifically, is wrong with a warlock learning polymorph or conjure elemental? Presumably, these spells are balanced by their slot level. So if a warlock is allowed to learn 4th and 5th level spells, then it is fine to learn the 4th level spell polymorph, and the 5th level spell conjure elemental.
>>
>>53684345
Ehh. I still think it's a bit uninspired fluff-wise. Particularly the tenets: they could have made it more pronounced than just ''edgier Crown with a hard-on for instilling fear''.
The mechanics aren't anything to write home about, either. Armor of Agathys is nice, though.

Their level 15 feature used to be a strictly inferior version of Devotion's aura (gotten much later), now it's just whatever the fuck.
>>
>>53684335
Most of Crawford's tweets are basically "it's written on page so and so, that's how it works", he just explains the rules.
Agree on Mearls, though, he's the most laidback on rulings.
>>
File: RIP Black Leaf.jpg (101KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
RIP Black Leaf.jpg
101KB, 468x240px
Help me, Fivegg. I want to play a tiefling with CHA as my highest ability score, but I'm having some trouble finding an appropriate class. If this was Pathfinder, I'd just play an Infernal Sorcerer, but the class has no such origin in 5e. Fiendlock seems like the obvious choice, but my last character was a Warlock and I'd like to try something different. Should I:
>refluff Dragon Sorcerer to be more tiefling-appropriate
>shift some points into physical ability scores and play a Magic Initiate Fighter
>be a total meme lord/manic pixie/magical realmer and play Wild Magic Sorcerer
>play Warlock again but pick entirely different class options
>something else?
Our party is small (two or three people, DMPC pending) and the other player is a healer leaning towards Cleric.
>>
>>53684502
It seems like you want to play a magic class, and a tiefling. Why not a bard? Fluff it as someone who is really interested in the lore of his ancestors, and by extension, general demonic lore. He can tell the tales of heroes fighting demons and such.
>>
File: 5etargetaudience.jpg (115KB, 1581x330px) Image search: [Google]
5etargetaudience.jpg
115KB, 1581x330px
>>
>>53684458
Compared to the Oath of Treachery, if feels vastly inferior.
>>
>>53684540
I considered that and I like the idea. The thing that was putting me off Bard was that we'd already have a Cleric dealing out heals and buffs, and we need a reliable damage-dealer. Is Bard any good as a front line class?
>>
>>53684417
Because at 7th level you'll be able to Polymorph 2-6 times while others 1.
At 9th, Conjure Elemental 2-6 times versus 1.
At 11th, Conjure Elemental 3-9 times versus 3, and you have an Arcanum.
>>
>>53684104
I'm dumb, she's a lesbian. I thought I had found the one.
>>
>>53684629
Bards can play gishes fairly well.
>>
>>53684567
What the name of Azuth...
>>
>>53684567
>warlocks
>full casters
>'is this really the boss?'

video games were a mistake
>>
>>53684671
No shit Sherlock. No girl at a table is ever unattached and/or a lesbian. It's an unwritten rule.
>>
>>53684567
I bet his DM let's him take a million short rests per day.
>>
File: 1471989765156.jpg (20KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1471989765156.jpg
20KB, 292x257px
>>53684671
You sap
>>
>>53684640
In the vanilla game, warlocks can cast banish 2-6 times a day, while other classes are limited to 1.

What's your point?
>>
File: 181.jpg (23KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
181.jpg
23KB, 400x302px
>>53684671
Welcome back.
We kept your room exactly as you left it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcf6wQWN0-8
>>
>>53684671
Easy fix, just become a lesbian yourself.
>>
>>53684717
To be fair, that 'is this the boss' thing is an intended part of the wizard play experience, all the way back to the start. The wizard is a "guaranteed" solution to n problems, so he has to choose the solutions he takes and the problems he solves carefully.
>>
File: 1479883794283.jpg (139KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
1479883794283.jpg
139KB, 600x404px
>>53684671
>>
File: 1468014236839.jpg (202KB, 1100x950px) Image search: [Google]
1468014236839.jpg
202KB, 1100x950px
>>53682886
Hey guys, I'd like some suggestions on a gimmick I have in the current campaign I'm running. I told everyone they have a "Secret Questline Die", and how it works is that they declare it their roll once per session (typically during downtime), and if it lands on the highest number, an event occurs. Currently only two have happened, and I planned on having it involve powerful forces of the outer planes and deities (one of the events they ran into Bahamut conversing with an aged up, much more powerful version of a character from a previous campaign), but I'm out of ideas for how it could progress. Currently they've only gotten small bits, "tell this character X" or "Know that the Gods have noticed you", but besides the most recent event of meeting a strange Planar entity, I don't know where else to bring it. They're level 4 so it truly is stuff they will not be able to handle without incredible strong aid, and besides maybe running into polymorphed Bahamut again I'm open to suggestions for more powerful extra-planar/deity shit to happen.
>>
BRING BACK 2E MULTICLASSING YOU SHITS

I'LL KILL YOU
>>
>>53684840
They'll have to bring dual-classing back with it. Do you want that?
>>
>>53684640
Conjure spells are the main issue, most casters rely on spells that give them a huge boost in power to make up for the fact their at-will abilities are shit.

Meanwhile a Warlock can now have a giant elemental tearing people to shreds while still being a much better damage dealer then other casters. Even worse, it's nearly impossible to stop them in some way.

Whereas a different class can just get hit until they lose concentration and can only cast the spell twice, Warlocks can take a breather and just have another one.

The issue is now Warlocks will literally always be dealing their normal EB damage + an Elemental.
>>
>>53684820
They run across the puppet of a GOO, or a sliver of one that has been able to take form on the material plane.
>>
>>53684671
There's always the option of a sex change, Anon. Don't give up. We believe in you.

>>53684717
I've tried DMing for video gamers and it's horrible. They have no imagination. Instead of "what should I do?" they think in terms of "what would the game/DM let me do?" so I basically have to hold their hand. They never get into character and their metagaming sucks the fun out of everything.
>>
>>53682886
>What is that one archetype you really want to make into XGE?
Paladin Oath of Redemption.
>>
>>53684853
They already fixed dual-classing. It's fine.
>>
>>53684603
That's because Oath of Treachery and Oathbreakers are both on the OP side. So far edgy paladins are stronger then normal ones... which is kinda weird.
>>
File: chrome_2017-06-08_00-32-13.png (142KB, 335x250px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-06-08_00-32-13.png
142KB, 335x250px
Show me whatever dumb homebrew item you came up with recently.
>>
>>53684870
>I've tried DMing for video gamers and it's horrible. They have no imagination. Instead of "what should I do?" they think in terms of "what would the game/DM let me do?" so I basically have to hold their hand. They never get into character and their metagaming sucks the fun out of everything.
Were it only that, but in my case the people coming in from stuff like Skyrim also expect the NPCs to have no sense of survival and just play out combat encounters to the death and never flee or have escape plans.
>>
>>53684925
Interestingly, I've had some TTRPG vets get very annoyed when an enemy just wants to fight and doesn't give a fuck about their "test of skill" or whatever.
>>
>>53684857
Oooh that's a good idea. Another player in the same campaign from the other previous PC was a Warlock so they could run into him when confronted by the GOO Avatar to ensure their safety. Thanks!
>>
>>53684870
>>53684925
Had a player say "I tell them to fuck off, do I roll Intimidation now?".

They were surrounded by about 30 Elite Drow and there was two of them that had been separated from the party. A Bard and a Monk.
>>
>>53684899
On that note, what the fuck's with the UA being both edgy archetypes?
Redemption might have been a step in the right direction fluff-wise, but it's still a mess.
>>
File: noidontwantthat.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
noidontwantthat.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>53684853
>>
>>53684920
Mask of Monstrous Fear. Made it for a Ranger who's whole thing is that he slays Monsters.

Donning the mask takes a single action, and when making eye contact against a Monstrosity it must succeed on a WIS Save at my discretion based on CR, and if it fails it becomes Paralyzed. It can use it's turn to try and remake the safe. Made it so the Ranger could have a support item instead of just pumping out the whole party's damage. Might be a little OP but like I said, the save is at my discretion.
>>
>>53684870
>they can't read the books for themselves
>always have to have a dmpc handy because they don't do shit themselves
>get mad when things don't go their way
>fucking optimization
It's tiring.
>>
>>53684920
https://pastebin.com/Ab6W6hZV

It's not actually mine, but I've been meaning to steal the concept and tweak it for my own purposes.
>>
>>53684990
That's neat.

I like that,.
>>
>>53684671
Are you me?
On another note I'll just be screenshoting your post to have an inside joke with my friend.
>>
>>53684671
Don't ignore her now OP, she's probably still a great person.
>>
File: 1446923949307.jpg (55KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1446923949307.jpg
55KB, 640x640px
>>53685010
>reread text
>"item"

fuck my eyes with a powerdrill
whatever
>>
File: 1295589445573.jpg (21KB, 490x440px) Image search: [Google]
1295589445573.jpg
21KB, 490x440px
WHEN THE HELL DO I USE PERCEPTION RATHER THAN INVESTIGATE?

Which one would be used to find the door to a hidden room? Or to find an item, hiding in a room? The PH is way too vague here.
>>
>>53685026
It's okay, anon. It's still kinda interesting.
>>
File: Houndoom's face when.png (68KB, 259x242px) Image search: [Google]
Houndoom's face when.png
68KB, 259x242px
>>53684671
this was not actually me at >>53684104 but ok, do I need to get a tripcode?
>>
>>53684754
You really think a 1 minute spell that doesn't resolve encounters against creatures from your plane (i.e. situational at most encounters) has the same power of Polymorph or Conjure Elementals?

Warlocks trade versatility for power, you can't have both.
>>
>>53685031
Just ban the investigation skill like all the cool kids.
>>
File: Falconhoof.jpg (71KB, 976x549px) Image search: [Google]
Falconhoof.jpg
71KB, 976x549px
>>53684925
Right. I have one player who's really into finding alternate solutions to combat, and thinking things out strategically. Unfortunately for him, the rest of the party are video gamers.
>how much HP do they have left?
>the bugbear chief is bloodied but not deterred, but his goblin underlings are starting to look nervous
>yeah, yeah, but how much HP do they have?
>>
>>53685056
I'm so fucking tired of this.

Players always want to know how an enemy's HP is, and I just don't want to tell them. Let things happen naturally you fuckers.
>>
>>53685031
Perception's to notice things, Investigation's to find things.

When walking slowly down the hall, you notice the trap. when you are looking over it to locate the trigger for it, you find it.

Basically if you know something's near you then Investigation but if you're just looking in general for traps or people hiding then Perception.

It can be complicated to explain but on a case by case basis it's not too hard to decide what to use..
>>
>>53685031
I would say that Perception is spotting something, an Investigate check would be understanding how it works.

For example
>Roll Perception to spot anything out of place in a criminal's room
>Pass
>Discover a locked safe behind a painting
>Roll Investigate to crack the safe's code
>>
>>53684720
That feel when there's two single qt3.14 Asian girls in my party

that feel when the DM is my girlfriendbut she's also a qt3.14 Asian
>>
>>53684720
In mine
>GF of one of my buddies
and
>Bisexual chick
>>
Thoughts on what the most fun character for a 1-4 Adventure League game would be? I was thinking of a V.Human Fighter with Polearm Master and going Battlemaster at Lv3.

I likely wouldn't be using the character again since I don't really have an AL game near me.
>>
>>53685031
perception for finding out if something is off.
investigation for when you want to know the nature of the thing that is off.
>>
>>53685010
It can work, but it needs more than being a mix of Succubus and Doppelganger traits.
>>
>>53684856
I see your point, but I think you're exaggerating it.

The two main conjuring classes are Druid and Wizard. Both get the ability to recover spell slots (and at 9th level, can recover 5th level spell slots for conjure elemental). In addition, both of these classes learn multiple conjuring type spells, which allows them to out conjure even a warlock with a conjure spell. One other thing to note is that every conjure elemental spell cast is a risk. If you lose concentration, you will have to deal with an angry elemental (or aberration, or fey, or demon/devil).
>>53685050
Well, conjure elementals is a 5th level spell. So no. I think banish is about as powerful as good though. It's less versatile, but more powerful.
>>
>>53685077
The description on that other guy's post is pretty on-point. My group is a bit lighter though so I say something like
"She looks bruised and is holding her ribs as she moves"
"How dead is she?"
"She looks wounded but still fit"
"Dude whats the hp"
"About 50%"
I usually only give indicators for above and below numbers like, "Above 75%" or "below 50%" or "around 25%". but I never say 32HP.
>>
File: headsman.jpg (22KB, 200x282px) Image search: [Google]
headsman.jpg
22KB, 200x282px
So I'm wanting to add some "heavies" to this evil cult, who work as torturers and executioners and thus I'm giving em that old medieval headsman look...
But is there a better existing NPC stat block to use to represent such a heavy than the Berserker? Even their CR of 2 seems a bit overestimated...
>>
>>53685131
I agree, but I like the idea of a demonic social face warlock
>>
>>53685048
Nah dude, it's fine. No one actually believes you because internet. If it's all true, then Godspeed, but if not, you at least breathed a bit of hope back into half the virgins on this board.
>>
>>53685056
put a curse on them the causes their enemies to regain 1d10 hp whenever they ask for a specific number.
that should shut them up.
>>
>>53685031
You roll Investigation to find an important book on a shelf, you don't need to roll Perception to notice there's some books there.
>>
>>53685031
if you're lookin' around, you're percievin'.

if you're lookin' for stuff, you're investigatin'.
>>
>>53685105
>spoiler
Well that doesn't surprise me one bit. Asian grills stick together better than rice.
>>
File: carl-b.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
carl-b.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
>>53685156
the idea of a cute girl coming to D&D, while unlikely, does happen on the rare occasion. I will say though, to those that bought the guy saying it was a lesbian, the very first girl I met at D&D was a butch dyke lesbian.
>>
Should I go with Sentinel+Shield Master or Sentinel+Tunnel Fighter? Which combination would get more use?
>>
Hey /tg/ a player wants to use a spiked chain but as far as I know 5e doesn't have rules for such a weapon.

What stats should it have?
>>
>>53685031
Perception is to spot the trap.
Investigation is to deduce how to trigger or disable it.
>>
>>53685191
Sentinel+PAM
>>
>>53685206
improvised weapon, 1d4
flail probably.
>>
>>53685206
The scorpionfolk in Volo's Guide To Monsters have one, sadly.

Spiked Chain.
Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 11) if it is a Large or smaller creature. Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the tlincalli can’t use the spiked chain against another target.
>>
>>53685206
Flail, Whip or maybe even a refluffed Glaive with Piercing damage.
>>
>>53685031
Page 238 of the DMG explains this perfectly. Perception is for noticing things with your senses, and Investigation is for working things out with your brain. If in doubt, use the "could a dog do it?" test.
>Which one would be used to find the door to a hidden room?
Either or both. Perception is for noticing cracks or grooves in the wall and floor. Investigation is for realizing that they're part of a secret exit, and figuring out how to open it.
>Or to find an item, hiding in a room?
Perception is used to search for hidden objects or creatures.
>>
>>53685219
I like to grapple though
>>
>>53685132
RAW you only decide the CR of conjured creatures, the DM chooses the creatures. Conjure Elemental is the only exception because you choose the element and there's only 1 of each at CR5. That's why woodland beings allows Pixies, because the DM isn't supposed to be retarded.

Same for Polymorph, it's the DM's choice, but there's only a Giant Ape at CR7 and a T-Rex at CR8, no other beasts above.

>I think banish is about as powerful as good though. It's less versatile, but more powerful.
You cast Polymorph, target becomes a T-Rex no matter its CR.
You cast Conjure Elemental, you get a body to soak and deal damage.
You cast Banishment, the target comes back in 1 minute with no harm.
>>
>>53685191
Don't listen to that other guy, Sentinel+PAM is what all the dumb losers play because it's popular. It's literal cancer.

As for use: Tunnel Fighter is retarded, no DM would suicide stuff against it more than once in a blue moon. Shield Master, you'd get more reliable use out of. It's great if your party has a lot of martials, just make sure to grab Athletics proficiency.
>>
File: devilChain.jpg (82KB, 736x956px) Image search: [Google]
devilChain.jpg
82KB, 736x956px
>>53685229
Thanks anon. I'll use this as a basis. Assuming the grapple DC is 8+Prof +Dex/Str.

Can't wait for Chains 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Many fond memories of the things in 3.5 so here's hoping.
>>
>>53685338
To each their own. I personally don't like spiked chains, but I'm not going to let that bias get in the way of helping a guy who's doing his own game with his own players that all have their own preferences and might have fun using the spiked chain.
>>
>>53685325
Your interpretation of RAW is dubious. There's nothing that says either the player or the DM choose the polymorph form. RAI though is clearly the player chooses.

What makes banishment more powerful than polymorph is that it has the potential to scale with spell level, and is easier to use as CC for the full duration. Banishment has one end condition: concentration loss. Polymorph has two: death of the new form, and concentration loss. The former is huge. If you polymorph something into a rabbit, you can't fireball anything near it, otherwise you waste your CC.
>>
>>53685338
I'd recommend a negative in there somewhere, grapple on hit is strong enough that it overcomes d6 vs d6. If it's a reward, whatever, but as a default character choice it should have a downside. Perhaps inability to be proficient, since its neither martial or simple, which can later be overcome with training, or by slightly altering the weapon master feat.
>>
>>53685427
>The former is huge. If you polymorph something into a rabbit, you can't fireball anything near it, otherwise you waste your CC.
That's actually not where it typically should matter, rather that any intelligent enemies may have seen or heard of the spell in the past, and know how to break it. Of course that's solved by making them a big stack of HP that does nothing, such as a whale on land.
>>
>>53685427
>If you polymorph something into a rabbit, you can't fireball anything near it, otherwise you waste your CC.
"If it reverts as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form."
>>
>>53685570
Not that anon, but you missed the point. Fireballing after polymorphing wastes a spell slot, and a turn.
>>
>sometimes write notes in paragraph form
>sometimes in bullet
>sometimes on little flash cards
>sometimes pictures with descriptions

im never consistent on this, i guess i just haven't found the format i want yet. whats your guys' go to?
>>
>>53685708
Usually detailed sentences and paragraphs for events and bullet points for characters/items

I write and type quickly.
>>
>>53685190
20 years ago I dropped my spaghetti everywhere when a girl showed up to a game.

Now, after a marriage that didn't work out, I dont give a fuck anymore. Friends are much more worthwhile, and if a chick shows up, I am all for the diversity it brings, as long as she:
1. Actively tries to play the game, know the rules, and can figure out rudimentary RPing
2. Isn't just showing up hoping to get male attention.
3. Follows the same hygienic standards that the rest of us follows.

Met a few, generally always works well. The type of girl that joins our group isn't the "I want male attention" type, that kinda stops once you get past 30+. The first point seems to be a biologically trait of girls in general from my experience, and girls are much more unlikely to have bad hygiene, that you would notice in public.

The stinger is that, at this point in life, being previously married is suddenly a pussy magnet, which fucking sucks. Because with everything said, the main issue with a mixed group, will always be that relationships always makes a group worse. No exceptions so far.
>>
>>53685375
>other people's fun isn't badwrongfun
Need more people like you here.
>>
So, I'm playing in a 5e podcast, currently a level 10 Paladin. The DM has told us that Multi classing is on the table, so I wanted to go Fighter 2 Assassin Rogue 3 for the crit smite action surge damage.

Should I wait till I hit level 11 when I get my greater smite? Are there any other classes you might recommend?
>>
File: GalacticRaces.pdf (204KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GalacticRaces.pdf
204KB, 1x1px
I am working on a fantasy/sci-fi setting that's very much age of sail, IN SPACE, WITH ELVES. Not entirely unlike Spelljammer, I suppose.

Part of the concept is that all races are descended from the original fantasy races in different proportions, and that race customization should therefore be simple and streamlined. So, I made this thing.

It's still a bit rough, and probably incomplete, but the basic ideas are there. Let me know what you think, anons!
>>
>>53685864

>open pdf
>scroll down a bit
>something catches my eye
>Accommodating DNA: Can breed with any species
>close the pdf
>>
>>53685759
You got them physical or digital?

trying to pick up some organizational habits and would like to peak at some other's stuff
>>
File: 1477776754788.png (251KB, 425x1275px) Image search: [Google]
1477776754788.png
251KB, 425x1275px
Why are you still awake, Anon?

Don't you have friends?

Don't you have a job?
>>
/5eg/ I need help. I play with my friends and it's mostly cool. But I'm playing with one guy who it is his first campaign and he is just trying to hit every anime trope. He's a fighter and wanted to be a samurai but the DM said there were no samurai in his world. Any time he uses his action surge he plays anime theme music. He picked up the obviously cursed sword to "Avenge my famiry." He always uses a shit japanese accent and tries to use japanese even though the DM has said at least once every session that japan isn't a thing in the world and their is no japanese. We've tried talking to him about it. We've started mocking him about it. We even tried killing his character but he didn't take the hint and made a revenant who is his character but back to life. There's so much more that's horrible and cringy. What do /5eg/? Kicking him out isn't an option. The play group is our 5 friends and our DM and he has forced his way to center of the story. Please send help.
>>
>>53686005
Haha, I thought I might get a response like that.
Disregard that part. This came up because I was considering the implications of three races that can interbreed and the myriad half-breeds that can happen down the line. Also I was playing around with the idea of racial "features" with zero mechanical effect.
I swear it's not a fetish thing. I actually almost added a line saying "Asari suck." Please give me the benefit of the doubt and provide actual feedback?
>>
File: 1495864936011.jpg (36KB, 334x400px) Image search: [Google]
1495864936011.jpg
36KB, 334x400px
>>53686039
Just accept it. Embrace your inner weeb.

He will get bored of it and move on to another character eventually.
>>
>>53686028
No and no.
>>
>>53686028
>8am
It is like you dont know what time zones are.

Let me guess, ameridumb?
>>
>>53686081
>ameridumb
>not amerifat
You had one job.
>>
>>53685333
Thanks. Our party is
>Battlemaster (Me)
>Eldritch Knight
>Rogue
>Ranged Fighter
>Lore Bard
>Forest Druid

I thought that Tunnel Fighter+Sentinel could be useful if I just ran into the middle of a group of enemies, then I could effectively hold them all in place and force them to fight me, since if any of them try to escape, I can opportunity attack for free and force their speed to 0 because of Sentinel. Basically if used properly it could function similarly to grappling, except against multiple enemies and I can deal lots of damage at the same time. It could keep enemies away from my squishies.
But I've only played a few sessions, so I'll trust someone with more details experience if they think shield master would get more use than tunnel fighter
>>
>>53684629

At low levels Bard does quite a bit of effectively unresistable sonic and psychic damage. You can even insult someone so hard their head explodes.
>>
>>53686028
Alright, I'm off to bed.

Thanks for shaming me, jesus.
>>
Is it just me, or do most of the AL adventures seems painfully generic? I've been looking over them for the past hour to see if I could use any, but they don't seem as interesting as the legitimate storyline/game books
>>
>>53686039
This is incredible meta-level trolling. Did the DM force one of his relatives to become a Buddhist monk?
>>
>>53686028
4pm... but yes and no. I'm studying though!
>>
File: 1473124206549.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473124206549.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
>>53684720
>tfw literally all of the girls are bicurious les-orbs
So it's not just this table...
>>
>>53686168
>sonic
C'mon man, you're better then making that mistake.
>>
>>53686232
No. What are you talking about?
>>
Pact of the celestial, what would fit better? Between thematic, or mechanical. Tome, Chain, or Blade?
>>
>>53686039
>We even tried killing his character but he didn't take the hint and made a revenant who is his character but back to life.
And the DM couldn't even refuse that? Does that dweeby weeb have such power over the rest of you?
>>
>>53686108
See, the problem with that is that if you run next to anything more than 3 melee bruiser types, you'd probably get fucking stalughtered, especially if said enemies are Challenge Rating appropiate. Tunnel Fighter is insane because it literally destroys action economy, but as the name suggests, it works better in narrow spaces while you'll almost always want to use Shield Master's bonus action to shove if you have no other bonus action going that turn.

The ranged Fighter won't appreciate having disadvantage from trying to hit stufff you've shoved prone, but it shouldn't be a problem if you know what to shove and when to shove. Just be judicious: advantage on melee attacks for half your party can be really up there in the list of good enabler tactics. Your Rogue, particularly, will love anything that lets him hit more reliably for the Sneak Attack damage.

It's a really solid feat. The other benefits are alright too, even if they have caveats.
>>
>>53686267
Blade could be thematic with the pact, not the greatest but it's okay.

Tome would let you take all those fancy Cleric rituals.

Chain has the new option for max healing dice, combine that with your ability and you basically have +6HP for each level plus another 6.
>>
>>53686302
>Chain has the new option for max healing dice
Did I miss something?
>>
>>53686308
Gift of the Ever Living ones. Lets you treat all dice used to heal you as their max number. Combine that with Celestial's bonus action heal + Cure Wounds and you can be a really tanky guy.

So at level 3 where you can do this, you can regain a total of 24HP. That's nearly double what you likely have normally.
>>
>>53686355
Oh, UA stuff. I don't really pay much attention to that stuff.

Maybe I should give that crap a chance.
>>
>>53686383
You have to be selective. The newest UA for warlock is shit. Go look up the one that includes the raven queen patron. That has some pretty good invocations in it.
>>
What do I do as a new GM if one of my players wants to aim for the eyes, mouth or hands of a person?
They tried aiming for a spellcasters hands because they're always at the top of the initiative with +9 and Alert feat, then they get 2 attacks and with action surge its 4 with sharpshooter and precision shot (They want to be the fast-drawing burst dps).
They then asked if they could aim at the casters hands with a disadvantage (because small target area) and I said sure. Then they proceeded to fire at 1d20+1d8+9 to hit with 1d10+15 damage to blow the casters hands off. Then once they were satisfied with their damage they switched targets and the rest of the players left the caster alone. What do I do in this situation? Do I just let them take attacks like this or re-do some of the casters spells as verbal-only so they can still cast? I think if I do that the player will catch on and use his full attack for mouth & hand disable.
>>
Would it be possible to port Ars Magica's magic system into 5e without destroying everything?

How could you rewrite Wizards/Sorcs in this new system?
>>
>>53686291
That's true, I guess in any other situation I would AVOID sticking myself in the middle of a group of enemies. It's not any more desirable just because I can hit them a couple more times. I think I'll go with shield master then. Seems like it has a use in almost any situation without being a big risk. Whereas tunnel fighter will only work in certain situations, AND it's risky
>>
>>53686467
Isn't Sharpshooter about taking a penalty to hit in exchange for more damage?
>>
>>53686275
We did it super early in the campaign and the DM didn't see the weebery that was to come.
>>
>>53686467
I would make it an attack to deal half damage and stop him from making somatic components until the end of your next turn.
>>
File: nomads-720x390.jpg (36KB, 720x389px) Image search: [Google]
nomads-720x390.jpg
36KB, 720x389px
How do I desert ranger, /tg/
What weapons would be thematically appropriate for a psuedo-arabian setting? Besides scimitars?
>>
>>53686554
You could tell the DM to just have him "avenge his family", which I'm guessing is his reason for revenanting, and then dropping dead on the spot, can't be brought back....
>>
>>53686608
casting fireball, centered on yourself
>>
>>53685864
Adaptive/Adapted made me think they were the same thing.
Goblinoids, and Fey can spend .5 for 11+Dex, or 1 for 12+Dex, but you can get light armor for 12+Dex using studded for only .5 points. The only class that might take it are wild shape druids.

Millitary Society is 15+2 AC for a single point for casters. It's 1 AC better than 2 point costed Armored with +3 Dex. and 2 AC better with +2 Dex. There's going to be 17 AC Goblinoid Cyborg Wizards with 40 move speed in your campaign.
There needs to be +1 skill/tool in the universal features.
1 point for 1d6 unarmed is overcosted as hell. It stops being a thing at level 5 monk, and is not a good option for anyone else.
Resisting fire or cold is much better than necrotic or radiant unless all lasers do necrotic/radiant. It could be necrotic AND radiant and it'd be a tough sell. Same for Psionic resisting psychic for .5 points.
Humanoid could use more 'generic' themed features like something that gives your choice of any skill/language/tool.
There could easily be a Universal Feature for 0 points that makes you small.

Secret advice: people will believe your stuff is better the more pictures it has.
>>
>>53686608
Whips.
>>
>>53686608

Only weapons? I feel like all the "-wood" based spells should be replaced with "-sand" variants instead, to truly fit the theme.
>>
>>53686608
Longswords, bows, spears, javelins, pikes, battleaxes, daggers...
>>
>>53686580
I think I'll do this actually, sounds a bit more balanced.
>>
>>53686653
>There's going to be 17 AC Goblinoid Cyborg Wizards with 40 move speed in your campaign
different anon, as if there's anything wrong with that
>>
How would you run a mythical weeb/wuxia fantasy campaign using 5e?
>>
>>53686667
>Goodberry becomes goodcactus
>Speak with plants is now speak with cactus
>Conjure woodland beings is now Conjure Sandland beings.
>Tree Stride is now Sand Stride and can be used to cross deserts.
>>
>>53686608
nets being refluffed as bolas
>>
>>53683965
That is an incredibly dumb ruling, Mike is a real idiot sometimes
>>
>>53686217
The ones for the Elemental Evil season seem pretty varied. Some are murder-mystery, some are Indiana Jones-style. My fave is the Drowned Tower.
>>
>>53684038
But the only way a player can get a special familiar is through the pact of the chain. Find familiar doesn't give them as options, yet the familiar variant of these creatures doesn't apply to the only way they can be familiars?

Fucking stupid.
>>
>>53686789
Read the DMG. It discusses this genre.
>>
>>53686789
Anime tropes out the wazoo. Characters are blatantly references, the most cliche archetypes possible (subverted or played straight, your choice), very old 80's/90's anime vibe. Think Slayers for instance.

Style over substance. Every attack has names, everyone shouts and have auras, and villains are cartoonishly one-dimensional.

And, of course, Power of Friendship trumps all.
>>
>>53686971

That's really not Wuxia.
>>
File: 1496580424670.jpg (23KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1496580424670.jpg
23KB, 480x270px
>>53682923
>>
>>53686961
>>53686971

Im drawing a great deal from games like Exalted for this, and in turn looking at its inspirations.
>>
>>53686877
That's forming a bond with a creature you meet in an adventure. Next time you run across run, try cutting it a deal for it to become your familiar.
It's not unlike how you can acquire or ride a magical mount without Find Steed.
>>
>>53682923
if my player came to my table with this, i would firmly yet politely tell him to leave
>>
>>53687095
You tell 'em Hank.
>>
>>53687041
That's up to DM fiat then and fucks with things mechanically.

Mechanically, a Pact of the Chain Warlock using the Find Familiar spell has access to these special familiar options. It's stupid to think that the familiar variants of these creatures don't apply in this context. It makes no sense why it doesn't.

Furthermore there is a whole character path you need to invest in to get those options, but some lucky fuck with a generous DM and no investment at all in this character path benefits more than those that do? Fucking retarded.
>>
>>53684104
Ok, first things first: good luck. But keep in mind to don't put ANY pressure on her. You usually don't attend DnD groups to date or flirt and from previous experience, not only from DnD, people get understandably really annoyed if the get flirted at in an environment in which they didn't anticipated this behaviour.

Nonetheless, we've had two couples get together via our DnD group. So it might happen.

What I'm really interested in is: are women really that seldom in your playing groups? Nearly all threads on /tg/ talk about women as something more rare than some legendary artifact. I've never played in fully random groups. Usually I play with friends, or at least with some friends of mine who bring friends on their own. I've never played in a group without a girl. Fortunately, I've never played in a group with a typical neckbeard either.
>>
File: 1486497224595.jpg (59KB, 587x645px) Image search: [Google]
1486497224595.jpg
59KB, 587x645px
>Path of the Seeker
>Prerequisite: The Seeker patron
>The Seeker bids you to travel in search of knowledge, and little can prevent you from waling this path. You ignore difficult terrain, have advantage on all checks to escape a grapple, manacles, or rope bindings, and advantage on saving throws against being paralyzed.

>waling

Hmmmm...
>>
When are they going to put resurrection spells under something other than necromancy? Necromancy is evil, resurrections are not. It's really sending mixed signals.
>>
>>53687135
Welcome to /5e/.
>>
How do I tell my DM he should give me more spells as a wizard?
>>
>>53687358
'Give' in what way? Access to other spellcaster's books for copying purposes?
>>
>>53684671
>Anon, we can't date, because...
>Uhm...
>I'm a lesbian, yes!
>>
>>53687135
>a whole character path
It's literally a single choice at level 3. That's the beginning of your career proper.
>>
>>53684671
There are no single straight girls in D&D
My table consists of
>Me
>My Fiancé
>Straight dude DM
>Another straight dude
>A lesbian
>Another lesbian
>A bisexual girl
>>
>>53687475
My table is a weird mishmash of identities.
>Asexual dude, chill guy, doesn't wanna fug anyone, fair enough.
>Pansexual DM (Still don't know what this is)
>Gay Transgender guy
>Straight Transgender guy
>A second asexual girl
>A straight girl (taken)
>Me, a (Gasp) STRAIGHT, WHITE, MALE.
>>
>>53687585
>Pansexual DM (Still don't know what this is)
Bisexuality with explicit acceptance of non-standard gender identities.
>>
>>53687585
>>Asexual dude, chill guy, doesn't wanna fug anyone, fair enough.
How I view myself. I'm not into drama.
>>
>>53687607
ah, that explains it. he's fugging the gay trans guy on the side.
>>
>>53687630
That's pretty disgusting tbhfam.
>>
>>53687475
>>53687585
Mine's kinda weird.

>Trans DM (ftm) - taken
>Straight guy - taken
>Straight girl - single
>Straight guy #2 but he's under 18 - single
>Gay guy (me) - taken
>>
File: sad frog.jpg (114KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
sad frog.jpg
114KB, 1252x1252px
>tfw my groups are nothing but boring cishets
>>
>>53687585
>Gay transgender guy
>Straight transgender guy

This means nothing unless you clarify what they were born as and what they want to fuck.
>>
>>53687634
hey, it ain't my business what they do with their genitals.
>>
>>53687647
gay one born a girl wants to fuck dudes.
straight one born a girl wants to fuck chicks.
for some reason it's flipped on its head with regards to biology in those situations but i don't question it.
>>
can someone give me some good patron ideas? I'm sick of "Gambler", "Got out swindled" and "Needed the powers for X".

Give me something really, really new for a Warlock. Even if it kinda messes with what a patron is.
>>
>straight white male fire fighter
>straight white male army
>straight white male retail
>straight white male unemployed
>gay white male retail
>me, bi white male tech support

It's the best group.
>>
>>53687659
What the actual fuck?
>>
>>53687665
A scholar who contacted an otherworldly being on accident and took that chance to advance their knowledge.

A normal guy who tripped over a magic artifact or ruin and wound up into a contract by happenstance.

Someone whose patron has been a patron of every family member for generations.
>>
>>53687665
A completely physically crippled but mentally god-level mystic child that can sees into the stars.

He lives in a temple and has monk follower/protectors who care for him, despite the fact he is essentially insane and retarded.

He's a GOO patron.

You hear about him one day, or maybe you were raised at the temple as one of the other orphans, and begin to believe in his power. Soon you petition him for a portion of his legendary, otherworldly power in order to better serve him.
>>
File: 1495921724541.png (7KB, 166x166px) Image search: [Google]
1495921724541.png
7KB, 166x166px
>>53687665
You took a fiend pact and signed a deal with a devil.

And won.

The devil was a new intern and fucked up royally, attempting to make a loophole to trap you and screw you over, but you actually ended up spotting it and outplaying the demon. So now you have his power and continue to take more of it as time passes. Your patron is constantly bitching and moaning about your pact and begrudgingly gives you aid because of the deal he signed.

You own your patron and your patron is subtly trying to kill you off or get rid of you.
>>
>>53687692
>>53687707
>>53687708
Maybe the issue's me, I can't name a single Warlock backstory that didn't make me want to gag. I actually like the mechanics of the class but hate the fluff.

Guess I'll just play a Bard.
>>
File: 1474834971495.jpg (94KB, 370x511px) Image search: [Google]
1474834971495.jpg
94KB, 370x511px
>>53687708
>>53687708
Actually, this is a great idea.

I'm going to use this for a warlock character in the future.

Glad I thought of it.
>>
>>53687665
You were going to be used as a virgin sacrifice as a baby before paladins kicked in the door and interrupted the ritual. The interruption caused the demon to be trapped inside of you, and now you have it's powers, but you and it are constantly vying for control of your body. You use your powers for good to spite him, but also seek to some day be rid of him, even if it means losing your powers.
>>
>>53687725
Maybe you just don't like the idea of serving someone? I know I didn't. Hated roleplaying my first warlock and being a subservient bitch. That's why my next character was a wizard.
>>
Why are girls either the absolute worst roleplayers or the absolute best with no in between?
>>
>>53687757
Because tits.
>>
>>53687665
I was playing a tiefling who was taken in by a cult who believed she was the reincarnation of their lord. She was forced into the pact through the rituals they used her for but figured she'd use her newfound powers to her advantage, i.e. escaping the cult and such.
>>
>>53687759
I'm not seeing how the tits affect roleplay.

We have a flat girl, 2 regular boobed girls, and a titty monster.

Flat girl is the best roleplayer, titty monster is second best, normal size boobs are both shit at roleplay. Wait, is that it? Girls with C cups suck at roleplay?
>>
>>53687782
It's an inverse bell curve anon.
>>
>>53687749
I think it's how directly you have to be tied to someone.

Clerics are my favorite class but the gods are normally a lot less demanding and just give you a set of rules to try and follow. Also the fact there's a lot of fluff about all the different gods compared to various CR13+ Fiends, Fey and etc. Actual concrete stuff to build your character into the world.

My current character's a Wizard who even has a very powerful Geas on him that can't be dispelled by normal means. I have to follow the rules of my country sure, but I'm still my own person.

Probably a combination of directly being someone's bitch on command and all the cult, demon and "Ma unspeakable horrors" that just turns me off it.
>>
File: butt is better tho.jpg (943KB, 1070x1600px) Image search: [Google]
butt is better tho.jpg
943KB, 1070x1600px
>>53687782
You're on to something, but off the mark just by a bit.

People who have extremes are naturally good at doing things. Like tits. Extreme tits, if you will.

One end of the spectrum is flat as a board, and the other end is massive anime style oppai titties.

Anything between is shit.
>>
>>53687757
Most girls are in the hobby because they are trying to either
>attract attention
or
>wanting to be near the boyfriend for whatever reason.
Both reasons are, essentially, tits.

The ones who genuinely want to play, without regards for sex in any way, are rare, but also have the negative connotations of the hobby, as seen by outsiders, to deal with. Meaning that those that stick, care more.
>>
>>53687782
Anon, most regular girls are extremely boring. People on extreme ends of the curve either need to compensate or are engaged in the subject.

That said I find it extremely bizarre that you were able to find four girls for this hobby. I've only seen one and she was fat, ugly and annoying.
>>
>>53687807
Then why are 75% of female players LGBT?
>>
>>53687828
College girls being "bi", combined with a fake statistic.
>>
>>53687828
because women are fucking retarded and easily manipulated by "feel good" ideologies that preach victimhood and handouts.
>>
>>53687824
>>53687805
>>53687790
This makes sense to me
Also I'm in college right now and they just happened to be the classmates that were interested in it. 3 of the girls were already close friends
>>
>>53687665
You are soul bonded to a seed. When you plant it, it grow according to your level. You are a druid lich and the seed is your phylactery. Your job is to get powerful, so the seed can sprout and grow forest.
>>
>>53687828
Because all women are bisexual to a degree.

That 25% is just lying about it.
>>
What are the best Enchantment spells to get people to be my slaves?
>>
Any other DMs name their bad guys after heavy metal albums?
>>
>>53687934
Persuasion proficiency.
>>
>>53687934
Dominate Person
>>53687976
nice joke brah. but you might be confusing newbie or pathflounder converter that persuasion really work that way.
>>
>>53687911
all men are bisexual to a degree too.
>>
>>53688046
No, just fags.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>53688033
>You can use your action to take total and precise control of the target. Until the end of your next turn, the creature takes only the actions you choose, and doesn't do anything that you don't allow it to do. During this time you can also cause the creature to use a reaction, but this requires you to use your own reaction as well.

Hoo boy. That's a doozey right there.
>>
>>53688070
out of combat you can pretty much do that all the time. but you can't use it on multiple people so if you were looking for a harem i'd recommend a carefully planned mass suggestion. you won't be able to force them to do your bidding but you could probably use it well enough to convince them all to fall in love with you.
>>
>>53688064
Can confirm, as a fag I'd still fuck a thicc woman.

>>53688070
I'm actually wondering. With Dominate Person, does the Enchanter's or Sorcerer's dualcast let you control both targets with an action?
>>
File: 1406238409761.png (18KB, 224x250px) Image search: [Google]
1406238409761.png
18KB, 224x250px
approaching my first Magical Secrets as a Whisper Bard any recommendations for 10th level? what about 14th? 18th I'm gonna take the obvious but what about the other slot?
>>
What's the required minimum height of an evil wizards tower, in feet?
Meaning chump wizards wouldn't be able to blink to the top or some faggot sword swinger climb the outside.
>>
>>53688202
If your tower is less 500 feet you're an abortion of a wizard. Don't let people dimension door up.
>>
File: bastion of twilight.jpg (171KB, 1344x840px) Image search: [Google]
bastion of twilight.jpg
171KB, 1344x840px
>>53688202
Take a leaf from another piece of fantasy, build the base of your tower and the top of your tower in different planes of existence, so even if they dimension door to the top they're not even at the top yet. even more fuckery, build the middle segment of your tower in the next dimension and have it 750ft tall, then when they reach the top of that, there's another portal to the actual boss room.
>>
>>53687665
You and your patron are at total odds but you're stuck together due to shenanigans. You may really hate one another and even be totally diametrically opposed
>>
>>53687475
my boring table:
> 4 heterosexual couples
>>
>>53688369
>>53687475

>my autistic roommate
>my ex girlfriend who still wants my dick but she's boring as fuck so I'm not into her
>a deadbeat hippie who thinks he can play guitar
>a deadbeat hippie who thinks he can play bass
>and a vapelord
>>
>>53688369
>durr the quality of a person is determined by how many tumblr tags they fit in

Kill yourself
>>
>>53688379
From all these stories I know why i stick with playing only with friends and colleagues.
>>
>>53688266
>>53688301
Hmm... I don't think I'm really cut out for this archmage thing...
>>
>be paladin
>smite demons, undead, etc as they are abominations
>also smite cultists and worshippers of abominations
>new player joining, he'll be playing a fiendlock

How do I justify associating him in character? Are smite-all-evil paladins just a flawed character concept?
>>
>>53688392
Oh come on. That's quitter talk. Any old faggot with a stick and some spell slots can shoot fire at people. It takes a real special someone to construct vast magical citadels of intrigue and wonder.
>>
>>53688389

my friends aren't into dnd, I gotta take what I can get and I refuse to do the adventure's league at barnes and noble because I'm not a 14 year old virgin
>>
>>53688397
If you're a smite-all-evil paladin you're gonna have to smite him. It's up to that dude to come up with a reason for you to not smite him. You were there first after all.
>>
>>53688400
It's all so complicated. I haven't even gotten to the inside of my tower yet and I'm giving up...
>>
>>53688388
You are aware, that there might have been a bit of jest in what i've written? The first hint should have been, that I'm obviously part of one of those couples. The secong hint would have been the previous list of quite strange RPG table constellations
>>
>>53688431
Come on dude. Listen, it's not that hard. First you get a floor plan. Then you fill that floor plan with rooms that you need, as an archmage. Then, you make more floors, and more rooms. Then you enchant the fuck out of the whole thing and relax in your new bed. You're gonna be building a tower, so you could even get away with only one room for each floor. There's so many ways to build your very own lair, but it's not all that complicated, in the end. Just take your time and have a good plan in place before you begin construction.
>>
>>53688451
Very well I'll give it another shot. Should I put the monster with a riddle on the first floor, or outside the entrance?
>>
>>53688449
die
>>
>>53688492
Spoken like a true SJW, who give death threats to anyone who doesn't fit into their little ideology.
>>
>>53688471
Depends which monster it is. If it's small, inside. If it's large, outside. If you put a large monster inside, it'll probably end up dying to the scenery, ala Jabba's Rancor pit. Of course there's always variables in place so it's not guarantee. For instance, a large monster with a phasing ability would probably still be better off inside.
>>
>>53688504
>>53688492

you two can take your lovers quarrel somewhere else. Nobody wants to hear it.
>>
What is 5e missing that'll make it great?
>>
>>53687665
You took the pact of the undying and your patron is your wife. You helped her achieve immortality because you didn't want to lose her and in return you siphon on her immortality.
>>
>>53688537

the skills system is a little weak

I also thought the proficiency bonus, being the same fro literally every class, was a lost opportunity
>>
>>53688397
He has to be the one to make an excuse.

You just RP your character as overseeing him.
If he gives in to demon worship and isn't trying to save his own soul then smite him.
>>
>>53688542
how does one siphon immortality? if it's immortality, then it's infinite life, which means that she could give you infinite power, right?
>>
>>53688546
But weren't these actually good changes?
>>
>>53688570

the skills system doesn't allow for a lot of customization outside of just adding your proficiency bonus to something whenever the game allows you to. Thats kind of a weak system
>>
>>53688564
What about GOO. Aren't they beings of limitless power that are also immortal? Don't GOO locks only get telepathy shit.
>>
>>53687236
>bait for the bait God
>shit posts for his shit throne
>>
>>53688600
What would you change it to?
>>
>>53688633

I would change it back to the ranks system of 3.5 just more balanced

also bringing back all the skills that all got lumped into one big giant "perception" check
>>
>>53688645
They streamlined it for a reason, that's a step back.
>>
>>53688608
They're not of unlimited power. Nothing is, in D&D, because gods fight each other over petty shit all the time. They're of a MASSIVE amount of power, possibly more than the gods, but they can't direct it, because they're insane due to their connection to the far realm. They have so much power it looks to be unlimited, but they can still die, so it's not unlimited power.
>>
>>53688658

you can streamline it without making it completely uncustomizable

also come on, you can't just lump spot and listen and like five other skills together into perception
>>
>>53688666
Then I guess you answered your own question. "Nothing is"
Even if your wife is your Undying Patron there probably is a more powerful being who can kill her.
>>
>>53688645
>also bringing back all the skills that all got lumped into one big giant "perception" check
No, please no. Giving people with a specific keen smell, hearing or sight ADV on Perception checks using that is enough.

I do get what you mean though, personally I'd like it if different classes got their own version of skills sorta. Like Wizards and Rogues being able to use INT for Perception, Rangers can use DEX for Athletics, Clerics can base Religion on Wisdom and stuff like that.

Make classes be able to do things that mechanically are the same, but fluffed in a different way and using a different Ability to make them doing it feel unique.
>>
>>53688687
So she's not immortal in the first place. Just more powerful than a natural death.
>>
>>53687475
Yes there are.

My table consists of:
>Married guy
>Guy with a girlfriend who gives 0 fucks about the hobby (me, sadly)
>Single straight girl who absolutely refuses to have even remotely romantic or sexual relations to anybody in the group. "Been there, done that, destroyed the entire group" being the sole reason.
>Friend of the other girl, also straight, clearly trying to hook up with the GM, but is too autistic to not spew spaghetti everywhere

With the exception of the last chick, everybody is 35+, so that might explain something. Probably also why the last chick is so... intimidated, because she is 10 years younger than her friend, and has absolutely 0 life experience outside of her hectic job, so when ahe shows up at a gaming table with older people where everybody has been in a ton of relationships or even married, so yeah.

Pretty interestingly, the older woman is actually pretty hot, and the younger one is quite cute. Despite this, they are actually super into the game, knows the rules in and out, and are really good roleplayers.

One of them is a fucking lawyer, so that's kind of cheating though.
>>
I don't know about you guys but i really liked Phoenix Sorc
>>
>>53688675
The 3.5 skill ranks aren't very good, they did a good job with the 5e ones. Now everyone is at least competent.

>you can't just lump spot and listen and like five other skills together into perception
How's that?
>>
>>53688675
>also come on, you can't just lump spot and listen and like five other skills together into perception
Sure, technically noticing something subtle with your vision is different from noticing a quiet sound, but I'd rather just focus on story and gameplay than autistically trying to simulate the real world through dice rolls.
>>
I'm this guy >>53688780
But I pretty much agree with >>53688693 and >>53688802
Going back to 3.5 skills is a step in the wrong direction, there's no reason for the skills to be separated.
>>
>>53688770
I loved it, issue was it was like the Frenzy Barbarian. Can only use it's super special move once per long rest.

I feel like maybe being able to spend 2 SP's to enter the form after the first use would be cool.
>>
>>53688600
The DMG has rules for using skills with different abilities and I think there is a trap in a published adventure that uses such a mechanic.
>>
>>53688833

kind of surprised I'm in the minority on this one. I just feel like the 3.5 style ranking system allowed for so much more customization. Like Rogues were swiss army knives with their skills but now they're better than the rest, but not nearly what they were like in 3.5
>>
>>53688675
I disagree. 'Perception' is a wisdom-based check that requires you to not just 'spot' or 'hear' something but also to form a sort of idea of what it is you're seeing or hearing. When you notice something you don't usually use just one of your senses to do so.

Animals with keen scent have advantage on perception checks involving smell, I don't really see the need for splitting it up. Complexity is good but this would just be padding.

Major downside is that it's one of the reasons that you can never really afford to take a Wisdom penalty (the other being that it's like the second or third most common save, after Dex and/or Con depending on how common poison is in your setting).
>>
>>53688865

I see what people are saying. Maybe if there was a way the current way of doing things were more customizable, then?
>>
>>53688864
Because we're not autistic and want a role playing game and not Pathfinder 2.0.
>>
>>53688891
how does not having as much customizable freedom equal more roleplaying? seems like the opposite to me.
>>
>>53688874
More half-proficiencies, perhaps. Flexible DMs, ready to give advantage based on circumstances and PCs preparedness.
Also, Inspiration mechanics are kinda overlooked in the community, I think. I myself houserule DM's Inspiration as +1d8 on any d20 roll instead of advantage - and it's also stackable (max equal to character level/4, rounded up), not limited to 1, and declared before the roll.
Inspiration has it all - flexibility for both DMs and players. Customization comes to characters right in the moment, basically. Just not the way you usually want it.
>>
>>53688897
Because it should be about telling a story and not being an autist about mechanics.
You already have all the customization you need, you just need to be less beholden to numbers and more story-centric and creative.
>>
Newer DM here, I've got a Wizard who wants to learn all the spells in the world. Which is cool, I think I have a pretty good idea on distributing scrolls and such, not too often or whatever, but I had a question that was somewhat related: with spell scrolls, can they only be cast by the class that would normally be able to use them? For example, it would be weird if I was only ever tossing Wizard scrolls at my party just because they've got a wizard, so I was wondering if they'd be useless to the party.
The wordings are a little ambiguous on this, does anybody know what the "official" ruling would be?
>>
>>53688921

Sure I agree with you, which is why I prefer 5e over 3.5 for that same reasoning. But if I have a character who I want to roleplay as just being super skilled at a whole bunch of stuff I'd like to have to freedom to do that. Sure, 3.5 was mechanic heavy to the point of insanity but at least it allowed for that kind of freedom even if it was bogged down.

I'm just saying, I'll trade a little streamlining if it means I can make MY character that I want to roleplay.
>>
Reposting from last thread

We're about to run a bs one shot at level 20, I'm thinking of going v human 17 pally/3 warlock for shits with PAM and GWM. What pact and oath should I take? How do you guys think it'll work out?
>>
>>53688946
>But if I have a character who I want to roleplay as just being super skilled at a whole bunch of stuff I'd like to have to freedom to do that
Play a Bard or Rogue? Take feats to represent you being skilled in many areas?
>>
>>53688927
Short answer - yes, just the class that has those spell in it's spell list (but not necessarily 'Spells Known' list) can use scrolls.

Long answer - yes, but some spells are present on the list for more classes then one (hint-hint, wink-wink). Also, if you don't have spell slots of the level of the spell in the scroll - you run a risk of failing while using the scroll.
>>
>>53688946
How are you not able to roleplay you want to roleplay?
You're still too numbers focused, 5e shouldn't be about that.
>>
>>53688955

getting to choose a couple of skills where you get to add expertise into doesn't feel like the same to me.
>>
>>53688927
>with spell scrolls, can they only be cast by the class that would normally be able to use them?
Yes.
Oh and what you do is you make your wizard duel other wizards for their spellbooks.
>>
>>53688946
Variant Human Knowledge Cleric/Rogue/Bard build with Skilled feat exists exactly for that.

Less memey - ask your DM for customised background, it's really fucking simple. And taking Lore Bard's all-ability-checks-are-half-proficiency feature as a feat doesn't seem to OP to me, frankly.
>>
>>53688959
I should clarify, if the spell on the scroll can't be learned by a wizard, can the wizard cast it?
>>53688974
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info, and the tip. A wizard duel is definitely in the future for him now.
>>
>>53688966
The number of skills have been condensed so they are more meaningful; the customization is inherent in the skills themselves.
Your separating them out again doesn't help anything.
>>
>>53688986
Ah, I see, misunderstood you at first. If they can't cast it - they can't learn it, basically. If they're not a Theurgy wizard - they're stuck with Wizard spells.
>>
>>53688983
Especially because this applies to shit that normally wouldn't get your proficieny bonus, like counterspell.

Only half, but even +2 make a difference here.
>>
>>53688999
>Theurgy wizard
That actually brings to mind another question I had: how well balanced are the Unearthed Arcanas?
My players are just now hitting level 2 but I've got a couple that aren't sure about their archetype. I'd like to give them a few more options if they like, but they're a little hesitant to play anything not in the PHB, as it might be over/underpowered. Are there any archetypes or tweaks I should outright avoid for being hot shit? Or, on the other side of the coin, so good that there's no reason to pick anything else?
>>
>>53683314
Long Death Monk has an ability that lets them expend a Ki Point not to die.

With this ability, you could shove them in a tunnel with infinite kobold and they'd be immortal
>>
>>53687151
>girl
we have 5-6 girls that play D&D with us, never at the same time though, schedules and what not.

5 of the 6 are married, the other is like 14-15 so thats a no. This is the FIRST girl i seen thats legal, going to D&D, cute, and not married.
>>
>>53683165
Cool. Mine got ripped straight out of Dresden Files, Seelie for Summer, Unseelie for winter, Matriarchal queens dealing with the actual running of the Fey wild, ladies being the lower government diplomats, knights being the wet work Warlocks, and the King is mostly just a recluse ceremonial title to a guy with a huge wellspring of power that only gets to whip it out once a year.
>>
>>53689085
Well, Theurgy is fine. We had a player use it in a high-level campaign and it wasn't much worse than usual Wizard shenanigans.
Hexblade in the same campaign felt overpowered at first, but turned out to be a dumb glass cannon that shattered so easily it hurt.
The only subclass I have banned in my homebrew setting campaign series is Wizard:Lore Mastery. Cause damn, boy.
The rest look like either shit or cool classes, nothing too overpowered.
>>
>>53689134
Just give the lore mastery to sorcs or make it into a metamagic option.
>>
File: 53e.png (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
53e.png
27KB, 200x200px
Anybody have a cool name for a band of Fire Genasi mercenaries?
>>
>>53689153
Nah, it's thematically perfect for wizard. Metawizard - I did dig that shit back in 3.5 myself. Just adding a few limiters on his abilities would be fine.
However, homebrewing it myself - that I can't be bothered with, there's a ton of work on the setting without it.
>>
>>53689183
Warblazers.
>>
>>53689183
>Tempered Steel
>Gold&Cinders
>Burned Breeches
>>
>>53689183
Watch the World Burn.
>>
>>53689183
The Snowmen. No one would expect it.
>>
>>53689134
Yeah, I'm thinking I might present him with Theurgy Wizard, though I don't think it would suit his taste.

I've got a Monk considering Drunken Master, but there are like 3 variations of that, and I'm too new at DM'ing to determine which one is most balanced.

My Pali doesn't seem too excited about any of his options, but seems to be leaning toward Vengeance.
>>
>>53682886
Kensei because I'm playing one. Considering they reworked it, I'm assuming it will be in.
>>
>>53689272
Wizard has enough choice of spells already. With the whole cleric list on the table too... That might be too much for a new player, imo.

There's only one iteration of the Drunken Master, as far as I know and 5etools show me.

Vengeance is cool. You can be Paladin' without being a pain in the party's ass.
>>
>>53686608
Whips, maces (not flanged, not spiked), spears and glaives, bows, little round shields, daggers, shamshirs (longswords).
>>
>>53689307
Underdark edition
>>
>>53689183
Cinder Squad
>>
File: flyingarrowsolo.webm (3MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
flyingarrowsolo.webm
3MB, 576x304px
>>53686789
>mythical weeb setting
Watch anime.
>mythical wuxia setting
Watch Butterfly & Sword.
>mythical weeb setting but everyone's a Buddhist
Watch Shurato.
>>
File: mymindisonfire.gif (500KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
mymindisonfire.gif
500KB, 500x240px
>>53689183
Chariots of Fire
The Hot Ones
Burning Men
We Did Start the Fire
The Crazy Mercenary Company of Arthur Brown
>>
Doing a level 17 One-shot with my group as our GM is busy next session, just going to be a bit of high level encounters/dungeon crawl rooms strung along with a vague story.

How can I make a high level rogue fun and interesting?

Swashbuckler with booming blade was the first concept, but I really can't see them doing anything other than just booming blade and walk away, even a champion fighter will have more intersting things to do.

They are also going to have a few magical items and a legendary item made, so any suggestions on that would work fine. Or do you think some other class might be more fun for the type of game since it will likely be combat heavy with only a few skill-related hazards and little talking-encounters for them to flaunt skill expertise in. Having a legendary item seems fair game to add some new and interesting abilities that might let them play different than "I move to here and attack once."

Other party members are a Ranger, a Fighter, a Sorcerer and a Cleric.
>>
Stone sorcerer seems pretty MAD. How do you ASI it? Charisma > Str/Dex > Con?
>>
>>53689308
Oh nice, I didn't know 5etools had UA stuff in it, guess I should have checked beforehand.

Yeah, looking through, two of the drunken master files he gave me were homebrew, likely before the UA was made. I actually like this iteration a lot more than the others, too, go figure.
>>
>>53689451
Dex > Con > Cha
Just take utility spells that don't involve DCs. Or better yet, don't worry about your DCs at all because +/- 1 point doesn't mean a whole lot when you're going to be doing it less than "I attack with my mace" or "something attacks me".
>>
>>53689451
It depends.

STR > CON > CHA if you're gishing.

CHA > CON if you're just playing a normal sorcerer that happens to be stone.
>>
>>53689134
Is loremaster that bad? I get the feeling my wiz would jump on it in an instant if I gave him the option.
>>
>>53689487
>i make sorcerers cry
>i make every other wizard look like a bitch
>if you fail my save-or-suck you're locked into it for the full duration and/or literally dead no matter what kiddo
Loremasters are busted beyond belief. Do not touch.
>>
>>53689507
Noted
>>
>>53689487
Move to the new thread already. Answered you there in >>53689520
>>
>>53689451
Why do you need Strength, you're a Sorcerer after all, it can be nice to have to get some hefty booming blades or some extra hits for your reactions.

I'd say Charisma > Con > Str, with Warcaster being highly useful.

Although my StoneSorcerer was a Triton themed around Coral so I started 16 in Str, Con and Charisma, got Warcaster at 4th and ran around shield and trident.

Our otherStone Sorcerer in a different group started 15 16 15 as a Hobgoblin I think, at 4th got the +1STR and +1CHA then worked on Charisma.

Half Elf are also very good stone sorcerers, since they can get +1 +1 +2 as racial stats. You can always just focus Dex and Con and appreciate that for the occasional booming blade or reaction attack, having more than 10-12 strength isn't needed. Then when you find either gauntlets of ogre strength of a belt of giant strength you can play the "Well putting our STR18 Barbarian to STR21 is nice, but putting me from STR10 to STR21 is an immense boost!"
>>
>>53689516
Eh, they CAN be broken.
But then you have the guy that makes every spell fire type, DEX saving throw, and only uses blast and utility spells (all involving fire) while taking the elemental connection feat or whatever you call it so only outright fire immune things are strong against him.
Then he just burns everything down.
It's pretty great.
>>
>>53685124
I've had a lot of fun playing as a rogue in AL. my Eldritch Knight fighter is kinda boring. Barbarogues are fun as well.
>>
>>53689487
Targetting powerful spells against a creatures worse saving throw is incredibly potent.
Or worse, having your monk stunning fist people and then hitting them with say a Wisdom save changed to a Dex save, when they autofail dex saves when stunned is also brutal.

Also, they have the Nuclear Druid build inbuilt to their class. Cast magic missile at any spell slot and spend one of your 1st level slots to make it 1d4+2d10+1 damage per autohit no-save missile makes you incredibly blasty. Oh, and if the creature is vulnerable? Double damage because they are fire magic missiles.
>>
>>53685124
Variant Half-Elf Rogue with Booming Blade as your racial variant ability, great stats and synergy with Swashbuckler at level 3.

Plus fits nicely within AL thanks to the +1book rule all come from SCAG.
>>
>>53689631
That hurt my planned encounters just thinking about it.
>>
>>53689694
Want to know some cheese?

"Hm, we're fighting a Vampire Spawn? How vicious, I cast levitate targetting its intelligence as I know that will be its worst save thanks to my religion expertise, it floats 20ft up and remains there until my concentration is broken. Ignore it until we've killed everything else and then just shoot it to death with arrows and cantrips."
>>
File: 1496605559899.png (751KB, 589x462px) Image search: [Google]
1496605559899.png
751KB, 589x462px
>>53682886
Is there any videogame, roleplaying game, pen and paper game, tabletop game, or VR game that let me play as a western gunslinger with a colt peacemaker a la Mysterious Stranger in quasi-medieval/renaissance/baroque fantasy setting?
>>
>>53683111
Look it up in the DMG. Build your final encounter then look at the adventuring day budget you have left and do something with that.

>>53684502
I'd definitely suggest wild magic tiefling, so you are optimizing by resisting fire.
Thread posts: 393
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.