[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 33

Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53682886

How often do you campaign in the underdark? How often do you use things like mindflayers or other worldly enemies?
>>
>>53689307
Never. Underdark is biologically and geologically not viable. Cavern networks will not be able to support such extensive ecosystems.
>>
>>53689307
I'm too busy trying to develop an underwater adventure for the bottom of Lake Zarovich
>>
> Underdark

Oh goodie, can't wait to spend 6 months wandering around in caves underground. That'll be exciting.
>>
>Starting up a new group.
>3 of your usual white guys.
>and a fairly cute little girl, around 20 or so.
>All players want a to roll for stats
>let them roll 3 lines of 4d6 drop lowest, in order
>get a pretty good average across the board
>except for the girl who makes a life cleric with Strength 6, Dex 8, Con 6
>First session and she is already playing the character as sickeningly "I can feel myself get diabetes" cute.
>All the guys are actually fawning over her, and white knights like crazy in character.
I have no idea where this is going, I have no idea if it's fine, but oh well, trainwrecks can be fascinating in their own ways.
>>
So to all you GMs.

Do you ever feel uncomfortable playing out a romance of any kind with a player? Does it matter if it is a guy or girl? Do you actually feel like it is flirting, or do you just think of it as ordinary role-playing?
>>
>>53689372
She sounds like a wonderful waifu. Don't you want to protect her smile Anon?
>>
Anyone running a roll20 game that's willing to take on the newest of newfags?
>>
>>53689392
Doesn't bother me any, though maybe that's because I did a bunch of theater in college.
>>
>>53689372
>females were a mistake
>>
point buy or roll stats?
>>
>>53689427
Standart array, bitch
>>
>>53689427
Pointbuy.

I mean, you can roll stats, as long as you get +3 in your main it doesn't matter that much. The difference from there'll be just about 10% at best.

Now, rolling race, class, and background is pretty fun.
>>
>>53689427
Point buy. It makes everything smoother, Standard array is also alright
>>
>>53689427
Rolling 3d6 down the line
>>
File: DBwmW_NUQAA2oKG.jpg (117KB, 746x1199px) Image search: [Google]
DBwmW_NUQAA2oKG.jpg
117KB, 746x1199px
Who here hyped as fuck?
>>
>>53689453
>>53689452
>>53689436
27 or 25 starting points?
the character sheet builder I have is telling me 27
>>
>>53689478
Only hyped if the hypothetical final Tomb isn't actually very similar to Tomb of Horrors.
>>
>>53689485
Yeah 27 everything starts at 8 and cant go above 15, everything is allocated before racials stats.
>>
>>53689487
Lore Master is prone to abuse, things might go out of control right away. That's the only reason I've banned it before testing it.

>>53689485
27 (15 14 13 12 11 10 8). It's a very good distribution - one good stat you can push to great, one shit stat you can fix, but can leave as is for RP opportunities.
>>
File: DBwmW_OUMAAIPuD.jpg (134KB, 1195x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DBwmW_OUMAAIPuD.jpg
134KB, 1195x1200px
>>53689478
>>53689503
We'll just have to wait and see. I expect good things from Chris Perkins.
>>
>>53689427
I use point buy.

But for people who roll. Do you roll for backgrounds and height and everything else as well?
>>
File: DBwmW_OVoAEOzSJ.jpg (112KB, 1163x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DBwmW_OVoAEOzSJ.jpg
112KB, 1163x1200px
>>53689478
>>53689532
>>
>>53689372
>You will never be a girl playing a tabletop and have guys fawning over you
why even carry on?
>>
>>53689328
It's actually the magical radiation of the faerzress which supports the ecosystems and it was carved out by magical means.

But separate from all of that, Faerun was recently in an ice age and both glaciation pressure and increased uptake of groundwater as the glaciers receded would have completely flooded the Underdark so the whole thing makes no sense. You'd think even if it didn't naturally flood, someone would look at all the problems with Drow and mind flayers and vampires and other shit down there and say,
>Let's just poke a hole into one of the caves through the sea floor with a magic explosion beam and flood the whole thing.
>>
File: DBwmW_OUAAAZD2r.jpg (127KB, 1200x1165px) Image search: [Google]
DBwmW_OUAAAZD2r.jpg
127KB, 1200x1165px
>>53689478
>>53689532
>>53689553
>>
>>53689542
Mostly yes.

I have this old book. Just a few pages, but it lets you roll everything from your parents origins and occupation, to siblings, their occupation, your primary goals, and everything.

I kinda enjoy rolling literally everything, and then figuring out a class to use for this afterwards.

I am also a 2e fag, which might help explain it. I am used to not caring much about the stats, and while I understand that the difference between optimal stats and suboptimal stats exist, I just rarely feel like it is enough to matter.
>>
Is downing a potion normally a bonus action or is that Mercer homebrew? I can't seem to find the rule on it.
>>
>>53689427

I prefer roll stats with some adjustments (min scores, roll all six then allocate, etc)
>>
>>53689560
Carry on for a chance of being the only guy with RPG experience in a group of girls, teach them and make them all swoon with your talent for roleplay.
>>
>>53689532
That dinosaur is weary of life and wants nothing more than to lay down and let the zombie t-rex devour him and end this cruel existence.
>>
>>53689581
Yeah, it's his homebrew. Action RAW. But it's a decent homebrew and I use it myself.
>>
>>53689478

From the premise, it seems the campiest and most fun of the 5e campaigns so far. Mildly excited, if nothing else for the set dressing.
>>
>>53689578
>central casting
>only a few pages

u wot m8

Also we're getting a version of that book in XGE, so that's nice
>>
>>53689581
>>53689601
Way to go guys.

Why don't you also allow all spellcasters to spend a spell slot to deal extra damage on a weapon attack? And scale up unarmed damage as you level of course.

Since we are already shitting on existing class features, we might as well go all the way.
>>
>>53689478
I'd be more hyped if it was going to be my next game, instead of my DM's sandbox which is going to be not Sword Coast, but it basically is
>>
>>53689328
Underdark's not actually in the Prime Material, but is a connected plane, like the Feywild or Shadowfell.

It's just that a lot of caverns overlap with it (along with the other two realms) so that people mistake it for being a natural part of the world.

This overlap stops many things from the Underdark making their way to the surface (they can't just tunnel upwards, they've gotta go through crossover points) and it also means that sometimes you'll find the Underdark is much more expansive than is really possible.
>>
>>53689620
I think you're making fun of me but I'm too new and unfamiliar with the mechanics you're talking about to be insulted. Please specify.
>>
>>53689616
Huh, strange.

I have this thin paperback with like 16 pages. I'll have to check it out later today, but it is definitely not that big.
>>
>>53689392
Depends on what type of group is at the table, normally a flirt between an NPC and PC here or there isn't a problem, the bulk happens "off screen" if the PC succeeds.
>>
>>53689652
He's saying that makes the Thief Rogue's level 3 ability of using items as a bonus action redundant, and says you may as well hand out smite and martial arts for free.
>>
>>53689593
>playing a Barbarian in a group full of girls
>rolled some pretty shit stats and I'm the only front liner so I always go down
>party starts saying my Barbarian must be as short as I am IRL
>constantly teased
>party introduces themselves to NPCs normally but calls me "the littlest barbarian"
>they start to wonder if everything about him is little
>keep trying to check under my loincloth when I get KO'd but are invariably stopped by other party members
>living an /ss/ harem comedy
>>
File: 1487471531404.gif (878KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
1487471531404.gif
878KB, 500x211px
>>53689666
>>
>>53689652
Chucking a potion as a bonus action is literally a part of the class features for the Thief archetype.

Since you are already handing out class features to everyone, you might as well do it with smites and the unarmed damage die scaling. Hell, just give everybody everything and make super characters.

I would be royally pissed if you took a class feature of a class I was playing, and let everybody use it for free.
>>
File: 1464571044035.png (341KB, 850x832px) Image search: [Google]
1464571044035.png
341KB, 850x832px
>tfw when want to play the chivalrous son of a paladin
>chaste and noble, striving forth to make the world a better place like his father
>who is teifling blade pact fiend warlock who is constantly followed around by his anxious, overprotective, incredibly attractive, technically true neutral succubus/incubus mother who, never having had a mortal child before, is incredibly nervous about letting him leave home, insisted on him making a pact with her so she could stay in contact, is suffering from empty nest syndrome and refuses to give him powers unless she knows he is eating properly, taking care of himself, travelling with safe people ect.
>paly dad thinks it is fucking hilarious, but tries to get mom to chill when he can
>son can't stand his mother
>can't wait to play it using new UA invocations that have come out over the last few months
>>
>>53689666
>He's saying that makes the Thief Rogue's level 3 ability of using items as a bonus action redundant, and says you may as well hand out smite and martial arts for free.

Mind you, said ability IS pretty shit.
>>
How does etherearlness work. Let's say we have a succubus. Ethereal makes the succubus invisible correct? They also become intangible right? How does someone on the material plane affect someone on the Ethereal plane besides going to the Ethereal plane.
>>
>>53689687
Understandably so, I wasn't aware it was a class feature as I have no dickass thieves in my party.
Sorry for offending you.
>>
>>53689701
>Mind you, said ability IS pretty shit.

It has its uses. throwing out smoke grenades and caltrops and using healing kits, poisons as bonus actions is pretty OK, but you can tell they put basically no thought into it.

Since potions tend to be magical I'm okay with the bonus action so they have a niche besides "my action is worth less than the caster's anyway".
>>
>>53689687
Oh shite, I totally missed it. Have had almost all archetypes of all classes in my games over last 2.5 years, but not a single damn thief.
Welp, will have to reconsider it. But I'd rather improve Thief's ability than cut this homerule - it doesn't make much sense for me that drinking a potion yourself and administering it to someone else take the same amount of time. But eh, what do I know.
>>
>>53689633
Not familiar with that being the case, though I knew that Feywild and Shadowfell had their own "reflections" of the Underdark, which could intersect much the same as any other locales could.
>>
>>53689746
>But eh, what do I know.

What works for your table and group, if you're that worried about it make it so only healing potions are a bonus for reasons.
>>
>>53689724

If they could trigger magic items with the bonus action it would make a lot more sense, since the thief gets stuff for using magic items later.
>>
>>53689633
Oh, great, another plane/demiplane overlapping with a fuckton of other planes (no mention of Far Realm with all those abominations?). Yeah, whatever. My 'Generic Renaissance Fantasy World' can house all these subterranean shits without it.
>>
>>53689569
Imagine the druid's anger when you empty a sea of all water, destroying the local ecosystem
>>
I want to try a warlock, can I be a decent Frontline damage dealer if I go pact of the blade?
>>
>>53689767
That was removed intentionally since bonus action attack spells from wands/necklace of fireballs/etc, would be kinda stupidly good and would essentially let you doublecast as a level 3 feature.
>>
>>53689799

A very limited number of times a day. The issue with removing it intentionally is it doesn't leave them a whole heap left as mundane equipment hasn't really been expanded on beyond some very basic stuff. It's not like 4e where alchemical items/consumables have had a good bit of expansion.
>>
File: IAHFY Synth Brunch So Hard.png (507KB, 700x906px) Image search: [Google]
IAHFY Synth Brunch So Hard.png
507KB, 700x906px
>>53689699
This sounds really funny. Your warlock patron is your overbearing succubus mother. Your PC's character arc should be a metaphor for young adults trying to achieve independence as they grow up and leave their parents. Your PC leans on mom a lot early on but later comes to resent this dependence, and seeks out other sources of power. Maybe he starts to multiclass as a wizard or sorcerer to become more independent.
>>
>>53689746
I have seen people leave a group because a GM insisted that it was fine to just house rule like this.

It isn't even about the feature. It could be a super crappy "literally why" ability, but the fact thay you are essentially telling the player that you are distributing his class ability with everyone at the table, for free, with no downsides, is very easy to interpret as "You are a terrible GM, and will probably continue to do stupid and retarded shit".

Understandable, honestly. It is like that GM who starts off by telling the player who made a female character, that she wont start with underwear because it is expensive in his world. It might be a one off comment, or even a joke, and he might be perfectly fine going forward - but will you take that chance?

I probably wouldn't. Lack of knowledge is acceptable of course.
>>
>>53689778
>no mention of Far Realm with all those abominations?
Crystal Gate, anon.
Please, make it more obvious you are shittalking something you know nothing about.
>>
>>53689372
I hate women too, anon.
>>
File: 1429261278142.gif (7MB, 720x319px) Image search: [Google]
1429261278142.gif
7MB, 720x319px
Please tell me of your villains, /5eg/. Having a hard time designing one.
>>
>>53689848
It is actually pretty funny, because she purposely ignores the PCs most of the time, outside of her healing obviously.

It is only the NPCs she goes full Cute Mode towards.
>>
File: IMG_0582.jpg (69KB, 533x1199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0582.jpg
69KB, 533x1199px
Building a hexblade for a one shot in a couple days. What should my cantrips and spells be?
>>
>>53689874
Also, starting at 5th level. I'm thinking booming blade, eldritch blast and something else for cantrips
>>
>>53689830
Yeah, it's exactly that, lack of knowledge. In 10 years I declined so many player requests for abilities or one-time opportunities on the grounds of those actually being parts of feats or other class abilities I totally understand your point.
But anyway, for now it works in my games. Spices up the combat, makes PCs just that much more resilient and that much more careless. If someone comes up with a Thief character or anything - I'll make amends with him before there's any issues. Or drop it all together in the next revision of the setting ruleset document.
>>
>>53689862
An awakened velociraptor Druid
>>
>>53689792
You pay large opportunity costs compared to every other gish and also have less options, it is doable. But it's a fairly frustrating class to play for any extended time, especially if you have a Pally in the group, they'll run circles around you all they way up to around level 11.
>>
>>53689427
Always liked 4d6 rolling, allocating after you have six numbers.
>>
File: 1495682267790.jpg (62KB, 526x799px) Image search: [Google]
1495682267790.jpg
62KB, 526x799px
>>53689862
Haven't actually gotten to use this one yet:
Chark the Firestarter
>goblin
>chief of his tribe, as was his father, and his father's father, and so on as far back as the tribe can remember
>like his forefathers, is a relatively competent wizard, specializing in fire magic
>rather than carry around a spellbook, the entire line tattoos their spells on their bodies
>arms and chest are covered in tattoos; his father was covered from head to toe by the time he died
>has an adolescent son, Geeyo, who just got his first tattoo, Burning Hands, on his right hand
>>
>>53690005

Skin your dad and take his spells, put them in a book.
>>
>>53689750
It's nonsense, but it's useful nonsense.

It also fits with Eberron, what with the Dragon Below (who was also the elemental plane in 4e),
>>
>>53689620
Funny thing is that Cunning Action can't be used on potions RAW or RAI because "use an item" and "use a magical item" are different actions.
>>
>>53689951
What happens at level 11?
>>
>>53690005
>kid can't remember which is his right hand
>casts the spell on one of his hands at random
>if it was burning hands, it's his right hand!
>>
>>53689925
I uses to do house rules like this too, and the moment someone pointed out an overlap, I figured out a buff to hand out to him.

For the thief feature, extended it to work with magic items is not a bad idea. Yeah, it's good, but Thiefs aren't exactly overpowered, and it fills a good niche.

And I can guarantee you that e wont feel cheated about part of his feature being handed out for free, if you buff his otherwise mediocre feature like that.
>>
>>53689581
He does it that way because his party is huge and using a full turn to drink a potion makes combat even longer.
>>
>>53690037
>not wearing your father's skin on top of your skin
>>
>>53690096
Like a goblin Leatherface
>>
>>53689687
I'd intentionally do this if I knew you were playing in my game, autismo
>>
>>53690057
Higher level spells for the lock via arcanum
>>
File: 1487812187018.jpg (228KB, 550x850px) Image search: [Google]
1487812187018.jpg
228KB, 550x850px
>>53689862
Delusions of grandeur and willingness to fight evil with evil are dangerous on their own, but if you combine them, you get Red Jill.
Red Jill was born a farmgirl, but displayed innate magical abilities from birth. When her village was burned down by a rampaging army of the Dark Lord, she decided that her destiny is to become a hero and save the world from the forces of evil. Her conviction was seemingly justified, as she quickly found a quirky band of unlikely followers, a band that overtime transformed into an army, and then into an entire kingdom, as she turned her former enemies into friends. A hero's greatest quality is mercy, after all.
The problem is, she is not a hero. Yes, she's beautiful and young, she wears the bright colors and waves around a magic sword, but she never actually destroyed the forces of evil. She just rebranded them - and took charge.
She has his orcs and necromancers dressed in new uniforms, she has his lieutenants serving under a pretty red banner, she's even sitting in the same throne room and waging all the same wars - but this time, for the greater good. After all, she's the hero. She must defeat evil at any cost. And lately, Red Jill finds evil wherever she looks.
>>
>>53690118
>I'd intentionally do this to screw over one of my players by invalidating his class
Sounds good, showing everyone what a faglord you are as early as possible gives them the opportunity to leave, instead of wasting time on your sorry ass.

Hope you enjoy playing with the bottom feeders!
>>
>>53690139
I'd play that campaign
>>
>>53690175
>I should bog down the entire action economy for one archtype of one class's mediocre as fuck feature
>>
>>53689307
>How often do you campaign in the underdark?
literally never, sounds boring desu
>How often do you use things like mindflayers or other worldly enemies?
all the time
I spent waaaay too much of vintage spelljammer and planescape books and damn it im going to use them because they are fun.
>>
>>53689372
a woman is doing womanly things
genuinely shocking in this day and age.
>>
>>53690201
>I backpeddle when people point out I am a retard, that always works!
>>
>>53689392
>Do you ever feel uncomfortable playing out a romance of any kind with a player?
yes and my players know it
we sorta have an agreement that it just doesnt come up especially not in first person rp'ing.
though the handful of times it was unavoidable, I got over it.
>>
>>53690139
This is a cool villain. Reminds me of video related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ1jtwEi0fU
>>
File: The Freshly Unearthed Arcana.pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Freshly Unearthed Arcana.pdf
5MB, 1x1px
Here it is everybody! All of the UAs in one easy to browse PDF, WoTC pls no bully.
>>
>>53689487

No, Lore Master isn't OP. That's just a meme.
>>
>>53690247
Yes, that was the idea.
>>
File: 1469179531110.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1469179531110.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>53690249
Nice work anon
>>
>>53690230
I'm not the one getting assblasted over the prospect that one archtype might get less out of a shit feature.
>>
>>53690264
The problem isn't that it's OP, it's that it does another class' schtick, but better.
>>
File: lucas 2.png (395KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
lucas 2.png
395KB, 800x800px
I can't find a game to save my life. I've submitted a few roll20 applications but the games never start. One guy messaged me asking to play in his group - dunno why he chose me - but on adding him to skype he said "hey" while I was asleep and then removed me from Contacts by the time I woke up.
>>
>>53689862
>Please tell me of your villains, /5eg/. Having a hard time designing one.
villans are dumb
apocalyptic supernatural disasters are where its at
>>
>>53690378
My players are more about conflict of principle with another living beings on the backdrop of setting's technological and moral advancement. If I'll just make it "nature rekt civilization and morals suffered" they are likely to lose interest.
>>
>>53689372
>in order
You have no one to blame but yourself. 24d6 drop the six lowest dice, put them together how you want with minimum value 3 and maximum 18. If you want a higher power campaign don't bother dropping dice.
>>
>>53690294
Its no big deal i was planning on doing it for a while now, may as well help other people out
>>
>>53690356

If by better you mean eating up all their spellslots so they are fucked in later fights, then I agree.
>>
Is warforged in a published thing yet?
>>
>>53690313
>no u reply
Jesus anon
>>
>>53690443
No.
>>
>>53690416
I do partially agree, if everyone ran the normal encounter number for an adventuring day, 6-8, there wouldn't be much of a problem. However since most campaigns don't it is a problem or the wizard would just throw nothing but cantrips around unless absolutely necessary and then du.p everything at the big bad.
>>
>>53690375
LGSs will help
personally I started playing a few years back, read the book and just showed up to a store with no game and offered to DM
by the end of the month we had a 12 man game and the store was paying me to dm 2x a week from all the people I brought in

now you dont have to do exactly that, but the fact of the matter is that sometimes when you cant find a game you have to host a game and when you do so you are going to have to realize that the game we play attracts a certain kinds of people. Be patient with them.
Sometimes it takes a little something extra to get people involved, I used to bring homemade cookies, I put up posts in local facebook groups. I wasnt going to be in a position where I had no game.
We had a pretty high turnover rate but after about 2 years I had 6 really close friends and we started our own group.
it comes down to how much you really want it.
>>
>>53690403
Eh, asked what they wanted and gave it to them.

They felt that 4d6 drop lowest give a a good enough average, couple that with "in order" and rolling 3 lines, gives them 3 options to pick between, and one of them is bound to be useful for what they want.

It's an old way of doing things I guess, but whatever floats their boat. I dont care how they make their characters, as long as they do it the same way, and everyone agrees, and most importantly, that it helps them have fun.
>>
>>53690416
Changing spell elements doesn't cost them any resource. That alone already make them better than Evoker.
>>
File: xcom.png (514KB, 586x720px) Image search: [Google]
xcom.png
514KB, 586x720px
>>53690472
Problem is I'd be a horrible DM because my stomach turns when the players are excited over their stats or making gimmick characters. I don't think this way rationally, but when I did DM this is how I felt and I could never explain why. I think it has to do with people using the mechanics to make a character instead of the other way around, dunno.
>>
>>53690416
Also doing things like casting Hold Person spells with Strength or Dexterity saves.
>>
>>53690496

I've had a Lore Wizard in the game I have been DMing for since January and this hasn't really effected anything. If more monsters actually had vulnerabilities, this might mean something but they don't.
>>
What do you make a critical failure for attacking with a sword do?
>>
>>53690544
Miss.
>>
>>53689372
>a girl plays a literal healslut

Cute. Maybe make one of those healslut rule sheets for her.
>>
>>53690544
If they were just attacking miss, maybe clang off something and that's about it.
>>
>>53690536

They can do it ONCE, still have to maintain concentration, and the enemy actually has to fail it so it doesn't go to waste. It's no worse than Banishment and that spell can actually hit multiple enemies.
>>
>>53689862
Bard that uses all lightning/thunder spells is seeking power and is possessed by a water wraith. The wraith doubles her capacity as a spellcaster but it completely controls her whenever it wants and she can't do a single thing about it.
This combo lets them use 2 concentration spells and combo some effects like whirlpool and call lightning for some homebrew 20ft Radius AOE lightning.
>>
>>53690544
Miss, no matter the bonus to the attack.
>>
>>53690553
What?
>>
Give me your best character motivation or I'll stab you... man.
>>
Blinding Smite
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

>The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during this spell's duration, you weapon flares with a bright light, and the attack deals an extra 3d8 radiant damage to the target. Additionally, the target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the spell ends.

>A creature blinded by this spell makes another Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, it is no longer blinded.

Does this mean that as long as you're concentrating on the smite you can deal 3d8 smite damage on each new round of attack without having to re-cast the spell?
>>
I need help planning a little one-shot adventure.

Last session, the party got into a situation where they agreed to help some intelligent, lightly-psionic giant rats (created by a mad scientist-type) find a new home (they were hiding in the local inn, and the innkeeper needed them gone).

So I have the idea that the rats will guide the party somewhere based on some sort of psychic pull that they feel, but I'm not sure where. Any ideas?
>>
>>53690544
Miss in a unique way that nonetheless has no mechanical effect.
>>
>>53690608
It's poorly written, but I believe the intent is 3d8 damage at the front, and the creature remains blinded for as long as you're concentrating.
>>
>>53690607
I go on adventures because this guy says he'll stab me if I don't, man.
>>
>>53690544
Miss, none of that "lop off your own arm" bullshit. If you're the GM that does that you could be mildly retarded because a fighter that trained enough to gain a level won't be stupid enough to cut his arm off.
>>
>>53690646
Ye, I just ask because my DM has the person drop his weapon on a 1 and I was wondering what others do.
>>
>>53690613
Into an abandoned theatre that unknown to the players will be home to a level-appropriate banshee with legendary actions (or a few weaker banshees)
>>
>>53690585
Er, so can Hold Person.

Hold Person prepared using a 4th level slot (like Banishment) would target 3 people.

You are right about it being once per rest though.
>>
>>53690510
well sounds like you really dont want it man, having to bite your tongue is just part of it. In our group we had a problem with single moms just dropping off kids at the store for a few hours with the thin veil of "oh they really wanted to play dnd" but really it was pretty obvious they were using us as a daycare. You just have to push through, when you have 5 kids under 10 years old, a couple of grognards and a few girls who pop in just for the one session because they were drawn in by the large group of people laughing and having fun in the store you are going to just have to take it one roll at a time.
Im not usually a very outgoing person and have some views and beliefs that lets just say made it hard to interact with some of the people but thats life isnt it?
I guess the moral of the story is that things take effort.
>>
>>53690655
That's fine, picking up a weapon is a "free" action in 5e anyway.
>>
>>53689862

Changeling Sorlock DMPC who never really aids the party in their adventure just provides transportation (via boat & carts) and information on how to prevent a catastrophe of biblical proportions that is brewing in the underdark beneath Eartheart who doesn't realize that his patron is that great evil and is being steered into opening his case as oppose to closing it.
>>
>>53690607
Traveling the lands as a diplomat for family, trying to bring joy to the people after becoming an OoA paladin to repay a nymph for saving his life when he was a kid.
>>
>>53690449
Well hopefully we'll get in XGE, it's better than Reveant at any rate.
>>
>>53690733

*cage, not case.
>>
>>53690745
We might get it. We do get Inquisitive, after all.
>>
>>53690602
He means a full support cleric. Uses only healing and status curing spells. Alternatively, use spells that don't depend on a casting stat. A good strategy is for a cleric to cast Spirit Guardians, then just keep dodging.
>>
>>53690833
Is that confirmed?
>>
File: IMG_1035.jpg (587KB, 1000x1426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1035.jpg
587KB, 1000x1426px
>>53690378
>>
>>53690971
>Something is causing the sharks of this world to go into such a frenzy during mating season that they actually manifest into waterspouts that have been doing significant damage to your Kings fleet
The king has assembled a rag tag group of ex cons and those who owe him particular favors to go and investigate

I would play the shit out of that
>>
>>53690375
find a real game, not online. They exist almost everywhere. You might have go outside, but do it.
>>
>>53691064
As the PC's are investigating, the water spouts begin moving inland, as larger ones form offshore. Shapes in the larger ones indicate that things more dangerous than sharks are being pulled up from the depths
>>
File: e4d.gif (940KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
e4d.gif
940KB, 627x502px
>>53691231
>things more dangerous than sharks are being pulled up from the depths
>>
>>53690940
Yes.
>>
>>53690613
Ratopia, a tiny village in the woods just inside the Faerie Realm. you have to appease the fairy dragons and defeat a redcap to get there.
>>
>>53690861
No i meant
>Maybe make one of those healslut rule sheets for her.
>>
>>53691204
Any specific places to check out? I'm in NYC
>>
File: 1455731148094.png (6KB, 396x396px) Image search: [Google]
1455731148094.png
6KB, 396x396px
>>53689372
> healslut rule sheets
I'm sorry but what.
>>
If I'm building a Revised Kensai 17/Assasin 3, when would you do the breakpoints? Monk 6 right now.

I'm thinking go to monk 8 for the ASI and Evasion, and then 3 rogue, rest monk. Last 3 levels of monk are really useless, and I get Timeless Body at 17. Fully expect campaign to go to level 20.
>>
>>53691356
>I'm in NYC
NYC has a very high density of LGSs
step 1). Find a random lgs
step 2). ask if they have a 5e game that regularly hosts
step 3). leave if they say they say they play the 5e adventure league or whatever they call it

repeat as often as needed.
>>
>>53690752
>not locking your Great Evilâ„¢ in a jewelry case
>>
>>53689910
What's your stat spread?
>>
tl;dr on the revised UA recently released?

Nerfed? Buffed? Better? Worse?
>>
>>53689372
>>First session and she is already playing the character as sickeningly "I can feel myself get diabetes" cute.
Its a girl who is leveraging her femininity, thats totally normal. No threat to your campaign unless the other players are particularly starved for female attention or if she starts using the group for dopamine hits.
just keep an eye on it
>>
>>53691284
Megalodons? Giant squid and octopi? Dragon turtle? Kraken?
Depends on how long the PCs let the waterspouts keep going
>>
>>53691459
>>53691284
>>53690971
>>53690378
this is already really close to the game I was about to start running
thanks for the ideas anons
>>
>>53691447
>Paladin of conquest buffed
>Celestial is Undying Light, but more powerful
>Cavalier is a more pathetic version of Knight, with superiority dice instead of marks
>Circle of the Shepard doesn't matter, since nobody is going to allow it
>>
>>53691478
K. What about the barb, AA, kensei and favored soul? From a quick glance it looks like favored soul lost all martial stuff and is just a healing sorc.
>>
>>53691447
It shits all over warlocks, because lebbit hates fun.
>>
>>53690608
>The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during this spell's duration
And not
>every time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during this spell's duration
>>
>>53691401
Is the reroll a missed attack and 1d10 up from 1d8 worth it? You could potentially go rogue 6 instead. But it's only 1d6 sneak attack damage, uncanny dodge and another lot of expertise which might not be worth...
>>
What makes Berserkers an effective CR2 encounter?
It's got a few more hit points than most other humanoids of that CR (barely more than the bandit captain), but a lower AC, no multiattack and only reckless attacks for a feature... Advantage is nice but when you do it once and there's then four 2nd-level adventurers all hitting you back with advantage...
>>
>>53691526
Yeah I really loved the patron specific invocations, so much flavor. Also RIP moonbow.
>>
>>53690607
My sister whom I was very close to died to bandits when we were both young. This led to my "awakening" as a sorcerer and subsequent travelling to find a way to bring her back.
>>
What do people think of these two UA invocations in particular?

Eldritch Smite:
Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature
Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot. If the target takes any of this damage, you can knock the target prone if it is Huge or smaller.

Improved Pact Weapon:
Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature
You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells. In addition, the weapon counts as a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is already a magic weapon that you transformed into your pact weapon.

Also >>53691478 why won't Shepherd be allowed?
>>
>>53691447
Shepard sucks. Chevalier is complete garbage, Celestial is okay. Warlock invocations and Bladelock are now complete trash trap options again. Be sure to fill out the surveys telling them how shit they are barring Conquest Paladin.
>>
>>53691582
Eldritch Smite is an inferior (balance wise) version of prior UA invocations. A complete step in the wrong direction.

Improved pact weapon: all of these features should be in the base pact IMO. Your pact weapon should automatically scale magically (for instance, +1 at 5, +2 at 10, +3 at 15), and it should definitely be allowed as a spellcasting focus for your spells from level 1 on.
>>
>>53691582
Redditor think it's OP, when it's underpower as hell.

Pact Weapon is a stupid tax invocation. It should be corporate into pact ability.

Minion spam build is usually ban in most table, since it's not fun for other people.
>>
>>53691582
They took them out back and broke their legs with the changes, now the smites are trap choices and they buffed EB spam by a metric fuckload. Improved pact weapon is insulting that it's even an idea, casting with your weapon as an implement should be baseline, along with extra attack and lifedrinker. They really fucking hate Bladelock.
>>
File: 1481744325681.jpg (95KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481744325681.jpg
95KB, 900x900px
>>53690607
My daughter fucked a nigger now I'm wanted for murder
before leaving town I take with me some important documents filled with signatures from my work station over at the port
here starts my life of forgery and homicide.
>>
How is the mystic class looking? Is it still crap? I've always preferred Psionics over the default D&D magical systems and the lack of content for that has been one of the big things stopping me from making a switch over to 5e.
>>
>>53691652
It's a "build your own class" now. Still weaker than a wizard though.
>>
>>53691704
That was true for Psionics back in 3.5 and I didn't mind. Granted since the power is lower across the board in 5e, does that mean it's "too weak" or just fine now?
>>
>>53691326
>>53691365
It's a thing that started in FFXIV, and appears to have seeped everywhere. A healslut is a BDSM practitioner that adds sexual rules built around reward/punishment to a game in which they play a support character.

For example, let's say you have a suction cup dildo mounted to the wall. A game you can play with yourself is allowing yourself to do progressively more sexual things to it as you heal better in the game. If your tank dies, you slap yourself and apologize loudly on mic that you're sorry for being such a fucking worthless whore.

Google Image search "healslut rules" and you'll see.
>>
>>53689427
While I do point-buy or the array, I've actually been experimenting with different methods of character creation.
Right now I'm considering abolishing racial bonuses and instead giving characters a 17 in their main class attribute, a 15 in a different attribute that their race gets an ASI in, then either roll for the rest.
>>
>>53691631
Yup, it was fine in its previous incarnation. Tying it to specific weapons really helped with flavour as well. Why would you ever waste a spell slot on a 1d8 smite when you can literally cast a SCAG cantrip and get multiple extra d8s. Or when you can cast fireballs.

Paladin has so much going for it, it's a trap to take 3 levels in lock to get the better smites. Also paladins get way more slots. Pala/Sorc is still better than bladelock.
>>
>>53691356
Also colleges and even libraries. Maybe weird places like Craig's list, twitter and facebook. I have not tried there. You may have to start a game yourself to get it going, but don't let that discourage you.
>>
>>53691652
I thought general consensus was that it's strong? I've personally found it a bit weak, except some niche edge cases like dipping.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 739x1082px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 739x1082px
Who's your favorite patron flavor wise? What about boon?
>>
>>53691757
This is why I prefer tera healing?

You want healing you pathetic tank? Well eat my fucking balls.
>>
>>53691812
>Who's your favorite patron flavor wise?
Any of the ones that are actually warlock flavored
So pretty much just demonic and chain
The great old one MAYBE
Arch Fey opens up too much wiggle room for players to complain about downsides associated with being a fucking warlock
>>
>>53691877
You don't talk back! You're a terrible healslut! Bad girl!
>>
File: 1434856971608.jpg (38KB, 249x320px) Image search: [Google]
1434856971608.jpg
38KB, 249x320px
>>53691757
Why thanks a lot, today I learned.
>>
>>53690403
> Min-maxing neckbeard
You stats roller argue that "random" is more fun, but when push come to shove, you really don't want "random".

You just want more to get "16-18" in multiple stats like because you totally roll those stat at home.
>>
Flavor wise, Undying, or GOO
Mechanics wise, Raven Queen (but I can't stand forgettable realms fluff)

Boon is the Pact of the Chain.
>>
>>53691938
Good girl.
>>
>>53691959
Raven Queen isn't even forgetten realm stuff.
>>
What are some reasons to choose a dwarf martial over a half-orc one?
>>
>>53692026
You prefer dwarves to half orcs.
>>
>>53692026
You can wear heavy armor without high strength. The proficiencies can end up being good. You get more HP, pretty good stats.
>>
>>53692026
Same reasons as the last time this was asked.
>>
>>53692026
You get to spam the question every thread truly a based dwarven craft
>>
>>53690249
Good work
>>
>>53692141
Thanks dude if anyone with any expertise on editing pdfs wants to add a table of contents thatd be really helpful i think.
>>
Celestial Warlock seems decent.
>>
>>53691877
>Tera has Tanksluts
Whelp, I think I have a MMO to check out
>>
>>53689372
Tell them to put their dicks away, at the table, in front of everyone. Publicly shame them. Make them pony up or knock it off, either flirt for real or quit. Stop derailing the game with it.

Also steal her for yourself and establish male hierarchical dominance over your players as the DM

But outside the game, don't be a hypocrite
>>
>>53692278
True but all the gish players are still upset the other got gutted, mostly due to Reddit theory crafting.
>>
>>53691565
So continue to use that stuff in your game.

My read of the UA was not that they were revising the material, not eliminating the material that wasn't present.
>>
>>53692521
I suck at typing - they were revising the stuff, not cutting it.
>>
>>53690544
The only thing it does: miss
>>
>>53692537
Read better cause it's right at the start stating those old invocations are gone.
>>
>>53691947
This.

Standard Array is king.
>>
Anyone know where I can get tokens for Tome of Beasts?
>>
>>53691925
>an archfey having the rights to your first born child, or your shadow not being a hefty price for power.
I'd rather make a deal with a fiend, at least with them I know what I'm in for.
>>
File: dc2.jpg (103KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dc2.jpg
103KB, 400x400px
>>53692629
Archfey are fucking weird, but it makes it so easy to fuck with a party that doesn't listen to the twenty or so warnings you gave of "don't make deals with shit in the Fey Wild."
>>
File: 1484227828843.png (7KB, 166x166px) Image search: [Google]
1484227828843.png
7KB, 166x166px
So last night someone asked for a non-standard way to form a warlock pact. I came up with this and really liked it so I plan on using this idea in a future campaign for a PC:

>>53687708

"You took a fiend pact and signed a deal with a devil.

And won.

The devil was a new intern and fucked up royally, attempting to make a loophole to trap you and screw you over, but you actually ended up spotting it and outplaying the demon. So now you have his power and continue to take more of it as time passes. Your patron is constantly bitching and moaning about your pact and begrudgingly gives you aid because of the deal he signed.

You own your patron and your patron is subtly trying to kill you off or get rid of you."

How would you make it better?
>>
File: GalacticRaces.pdf (204KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GalacticRaces.pdf
204KB, 1x1px
Posted this last night while most of you were asleep.
I'm creating a homebrew setting that's basically Age of Sail. In SPACE. With ELVES. Similar to Spelljammer is some ways, but closer to traditional sci-fi in many regards.
All races are descended from normal D&D races in various proportions, so I created this document to allow players to customize races that broadly-speaking belong in one of three groups based on which species they're closest to.
It's a bit rough but the basic ideas are there; please let me know what you think. All point costs based on https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub, which seems to be what most people use for race balance.
>>
>>53692661
I can't tell you how many times I warned my players about fey. "Don't trust fey, don't eat their food, never sign a deal with them," etc.
At the same time, there was a fairy queen who was a regular NPC, and did a really good job of being relatable and personable. So they kept forgetting all the warnings whenever she offered them anything.
They're all warlocks now. The fools.
>>
>>53692720
I remember someone talking about a fey bazaar they had included in their game, it only showed up once every hundred years or so on the material plane but you could go there and trade away memories for boon style boosts. The catch was you would know you had forgotten something in exchange for that and nothing could return the memory.

Actually seemed kind of neat and have been thinking of putting it into my own campaign later on.
>>
I need help levelling my barbarian please.

Half-orc with starting stats of:
16, 14, 16, 8, 12, 8

I'm level 1 now and the campaign probably won't go past 10, if even that far. So likely only getting 2 feats or Ability score increases.

I would like to pick up Great Weapon Master as soon as possible because it sounds fun, but I'm worried that my accuracy will be too low to effectively use it. How important is +2 to STR versus GWM?

Alternatively, I could pick up Toughness and focus on tanking for the party.

Any other ideas? Thanks.
>>
>>53692860

What made you pick half-orc over dwarf?
>>
>>53692629
Not wanting to get your first born child a high quality upbringing in archfey society, and archfey schools.

Shit man, you sound like a terrible parent.
>>
>>53692804
And let me tell you what they do with those memories.
Each Solstice, the faerie court not currently in power holds a feast dedicated to their season (e.g. the Winter Court holds a Feast of Winter during the summer solstice). Alcohol and other drugs are present in abundance, but the recreational substance of use is mortal memories. There is a goblet filled to the brim with memories that evoke the season, and to sip from it is to acquire and experience that memory.
Shenanigans that have resulted from this include:
>Ranger sips from the Goblet of Summer, remembers "his" childhood love and making love on the beach on a hot summer night. Eventually meets both the owner of the memory, who remembers the woman but not the event, and the woman, whom he ends up marrying because of the remembered feelings.
>Bard sips from the Goblet of Winter, remembers warm nights under the blankets during snowstorms, and the memory is so vivid he truly believes it is his own and he had forgotten about his wife. Eventually comes to regret his transient lifestyle.
>Monk sips from the Goblet of Winter, remembers being mauled by wolves (the memory was recovered from a poor sod's remains), is traumatized for the next few hours
>>
>>53692896
>What made you pick [any character] over half-elf bard?
Because some people pick the characters they want to role-play prior to optimization.
>>
I want to play an edgy spellcaster sort that can still use a sword fairly well, what would be my best option?
>>
>>53692860
You'll want 18 Strength minimum before getting a feat, yes, especially as a Barbarian.
>>
>>53692896
Half Orc > Mountain Dwarf
>>
>>53692976
Have you considered Cleric?
>>
>Reach Act 3 of SKT
>Have absolutely no idea how to run the game anymore

I am paralyzed by the sheer amount of options now
>>
File: Morwel_RonSpencer.jpg (107KB, 353x411px) Image search: [Google]
Morwel_RonSpencer.jpg
107KB, 353x411px
>>53691812
Well, I really want to make a warlock who serves the Faerie Queen of the Circle of Stars.

So it's obviously Celestial Pact here.
>>
>>53692976
This is bladelock bait, isn't it?
Play a valor bard.
>>
>>53692976
College of Swords Bard
>>
>>53692416
Considering she only plays cute towards my NPCs...

I am definitely gonna hit that if I get the chance.And still tell my players to keep it in their pants until I have tried my luck
>>
>>53693008
Not my thing.

>>53693015
I don't even know what that is. Also bard's aren't edgy. They don't get any decent curses, or demons (though I honestly don't know if you get that kind of stuff in 5e at all) or animating dead or anything like that. They get fruity song spells and some mind control powers.
>>
>>53693003

Why do you think that?
>>
>>53693010
Faeries are not celestials, anon.

>>53692913
People have this idea that natural parents are the best choice for raising a child.
People are idiots.

>>53693044
Ok yeah, it's bladelock bait.
>>
>>53692896
Mainly because I thought a half-orc barbarian would be fun to play. I also thought the racial features were kind of neat.
>>
>>53693044
>They don't get any decent curses, or demons (though I honestly don't know if you get that kind of stuff in 5e at all) or animating dead or anything like that.
Literally the only class in the game with access to every single spell in any book ever.

>>53693044
>They get fruity song spells
No they don't.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>53693059
There are players that will tell you to change basic things about your character in the name of optimization. Always ignore them. NOTHING matters as much as your basic concept/power fantasy.

>>53693075
It's bait. Ignore it.
>>
>>53693057
>Ok yeah, it's bladelock bait.

What the fuck is bladelock bait? It has something to do with the pact of the blade, but in what way is it bait? I honestly don't frequent these threads and am only just getting into this game. I just have a hardon for Elric, is that a fucking crime?
>>
>>53693101
>It's bait. Ignore it.
But I like bait.

It gives me nourishment and keeps me going.
>>
I'm continuing work on my warlock fixes. Last thread, there was some concern about warlocks knowing polymorph and conjure elemental, so I've tweaked those invocations. I don't think having those spells refresh on a short rest is bad, but hopefully this lowers the power level of those invocations and makes them less obviously the best.

Now the polymorph invocation only lets you learn polymorph. No special casting rules.

The conjure elemental invocation has been replaced with a conjure animal invocation, and changed so that you can cast it for free once per short rest, but that's it. Also, you can summon different types of minions depending on your patron. I'm not convinced I like this change. Conjure Elemental was pretty flavorful, and I think balanced, even if you could cast it every short rest. Because if you lost concentration, you suddenly had an angry, powerful, monster coming after you.
>>
File: Eladlnov.gif (55KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
Eladlnov.gif
55KB, 300x360px
>>53693057
The Faerie Queen is, as are her Faerie Lords.
>>
>>53693059

Ah, okay. That's a pretty good answer. I, personally, think half-orcs make awesome barbarians but I see people make the case for dwarves often enough to make me second guess myself.

From what I've seen, however, the case made for dwarves isn't particularly compelling.
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (108KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
108KB, 1x1px
>>53693128
and somehow, yet again, I forget to upload the PDF.
>>
>>53692860
You're already tanky enough with 12HD and Bear Totem.

+2 to Strength is generally better than GWM.

Put both into Strength if you want to be consistent in your damage output, but if your encounters feature lots of trash mobs GWM will work too from the Bonus Action attack on kill.
>>
>>53693075
>Literally the only class in the game with access to every single spell in any book ever.

Isn't it only like two or three spells of choice?

>No they don't.

You mean the shit they've gotten in every edition is gone? Also Bards are immensely dependent on teammates to be useful aren't they?
>>
>>53693115
It just seems like you're asking a question about literally exactly what bladelock does, despite the fact that everybody knows it sucks, and it seems like you're trying to start shit about it.
If you're honestly only just getting into the game, bladelock does what you want but isn't very good. Hexblade pact from the UAs might work for you, though.
>>
>>53693143
3 attacks is still fuckin retarded
>>
>>53693194
There shouldn't be any way for a warlock to get three attacks outside of multiclassing. If you see one in my pdf, could you specifically point it out so I can remove it?
>>
>>53693171
>Hexblade pact from the UAs might work for you, though.

Is it it any good? I saw a post a while back claiming WotC "took it out back and shot it" what's that mean?

What's wrong the bladelock? How do you start shit over something sucking?
>>
>>53693168
Actually thinking about it, I'm being retarded here. In 2e they just got wizard spells. In 3rd and 4th they got a bunch of lameass buffs, healing spells, and a small smattering of illusions, which is what I mean by fruity song spells.
>>
>>53693168
>Bards are immensely dependent on teammates to be useful aren't they?
Not anymore. Bards are commonly accepted to be the strongest class in the game.

>Isn't it only like two or three spells of choice?
Do you really need more?

>>53693194
I don't know where the pdf allows 3 attacks, but that said, I dislike the philosophy behind the pdf anyway.
>>
>>53693215
You are right, for some reason I pulled up that other anons homebrew
>>
>>53690641
Are you sure about this? Is that then also how banishing smite works? Do you need to keep concentrating for the whole minute?
>>
>>53693168
You get 6 non-Bard spells, 8 if you pick Lore Bard.

Don't act joy, faggot. You clearly know what the rules are, and you know full well what an "Edgy Gish" is.
>>
>>53693265
What specifically do you dislike about the PDF philosophy?
>>
>>53693217
The bladelock has no reason to use their class feature because Eldritch Blast remains their best damage source, since the whole warlock class was designed around EB pew-pew.

Asking a question with an obvious but wrong answer is basically expecting some people to give that answer and some people to get butthurt about it. Again, if that wasn't your intention, my bad.
>>
>>53693305
I think you meant coy, and I've taken a quick glance through the rules, which is not the same as knowing them. Maybe you shouldn't be such a touchy, paranoid little bitch.
>>
>>53693265
>Not anymore. Bards are commonly accepted to be the strongest class in the game.
No, most *versatile*.

Bards can literally fill any role they want. Sorta like a Mystic, except slightly worse. They always have a fuckton of supportive abilities, and can single handedly turn a difficult encounter into a breeze.
>>
>>53693331
>coy
Fuck autocorrect.

So you managed to catch that Bards only get a small handful of non-bard spells, but you somehow missed the Warlocks BLADE PACT?

Well done, Anon, you are officially retarded.
>>
>>53693354
>but you somehow missed the Warlocks BLADE PACT?

I haven't really done anything more than glance at the warlock.
>>
>>53693389
Then go read the fucking book
>>
>>53693389
>I haven't really done anything more than glance at the warlock.
>Hey guys, what's an edgy gish
>I haven't really read up on "Edgy Mage - The Class", but fuck that, I'll just read up on the Bard instead.
You really are a special breed.
>>
Does the Radiant Soul feature of Celestial Pact add charisma damage to each ray of Scorching Ray, provided they all target the same creature?
>>
Warlocks are not all edgy, just like not all druids fuck animals. Sure, most are/do, but you can totally play a comfy/straight warlock/druid.
>>
>>53693438
I kept hearing Warlock was shit, so I skipped it. I figured I'd ask this thread for advice rather than wasting time with a shit class.
>>
>>53693521
Warlocks are easy to make shit, but have just as much potential as any other class. They just have more trap options.
>>
I think it'd be funny to play a warlock but instead of selling their soul to either the Raven Queen, The Old one, The Archfey or the Fiend they managed to sell it to all of them simultaneously. Creating an ownership deadlock on my soul.

So even though I don't own it anymore, I keep possession since they all can't simultaneously be the new owner.

The only thing I can't figure out is how level progression would work since I can't have ALL the patron features, that'd be grossly overpowered.

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>53693542
Pick and choose a la Totem Warrior perhaps?
>>
>>53693307
Bladelock works, though.

It's just that optimized it's a rather boring monobuild.
>>
>>53693542
You'd probably be better off making a special generic pact.
>>
>>53693542

Make a 7 way pact and each day of the week you get a different set of powers.
>>
>>53693306
1. Switching to intelligence with no particular justification
2. Charisma added to EB damage automatically at the same level you get a second EB beam
3. Charisma being added to EB but intelligence being added to blade
4. Brazier as an arcane focus
5. Smite on warlocks (I realize WotC started it, but I never liked it)
6. "Expend a pact magic spell slot" - 5e does not discriminate between spell slot sources and neither should you
7. Everything about Beguiling Influence. You should never give "proficiency or a bonus to a skill if it was already proficient," because that prevents the character from getting that bonus by skilling up in the future.
8. Invocations that let you cast a spell once on a long rest, but also teach you the spell, thus letting you cast it several times on a short rest. Pretend I wrote this one several times.
9. Listing invocations you didn't make changes to (e.g. Devil's Sight) in a "fixes" document
10. No actual reason to change Eyes of the Rune Keeper. If there is, provide a justification, as you should always do in "fixes" documents.
11. Once again, no apparent reason to make changes to One With Shadows being your personal taste.
12. The change to Sculptor of Flesh makes it a LOT more powerful. You can now cast polymorph more often than wizards, and on a short rest instead of a long rest.
13. Warlocks don't get Bane precisely because WotC doesn't want you casting it every battle.
14. Changes to Witch Sight make other spells and (more importantly) invocations redundant
15. I don't know if Caiphon's Beacon is as designed by WotC, but it's badly designed. Anything that gives skills needs to give an alternative if you already have them (an alternative that is NOT a bonus to those skills) because otherwise it disincentives the character from learning the skills in the first place)
16. Green Lord's Gift is fucking stupid (not your fault, but this IS a "fixes" document...)

Dagger of Puck is baller, though.
>>
>>53692913
>Not wanting to get your first born child a high quality upbringing in archfey society, and archfey schools.
>warlocks
>good terms with their patrons
you realize the only reason they give you power is to fuck you over right?
you arent a cleric
>>
>>53693542
>tfw your patron just outright kills you because at the end of the day you are disposable to him
yeah good job there asshat
PCs are special but they arent THAT special
>>
>>53693578
Fair. It works if you're a Mountain Dwarf with PAM and GWM.
But having to optimize a build just so it doesn't suck is pretty awful.

Also, what is this new splat I keep hearing about?
>>
What makes a stone sorcerer worthwhile over playing something more martial? Are you essentially being an ok martial while having full casting when its needed?
>>
>>53693521
>rather than spend a handful of minutes reading from the pdf I already have, I thought I'd spend lots more minutes making obviously bait-like posts and after being rebuffed on my lack of knowledge multiple times, decided to continue displaying how obviously I either didn't read the book or am just trolling
>>
>>53693742
XGE is gonna have some of the UAs made official, 25 in all three for each class except wizard will only get one, I'm not 100% sure what else they'll throw in.
>>
>>53693717
Nah, there's many options mentioned as ways a potential pact can function.

Including romantic. So go ahead and have a flirtatious fey/fiend/fucking-weird-thing-from-outside-reality want to fuck your warlock.
>>
>>53693542
>Make pact with fiend
>Stop serving fiend
>Fiend pact rating goes down
>Higher level Fiends bundle less adherent pactees with more adherent to retain high rating
>Even higher level Fiends note discrepancy, borrow pacts, then sell them for souls, planning to buy back for cheap when the pact bubble bursts
>Meanwhile pactees getting less reliable service as their contracts get bounced around by more and more hectic soul speculators
>>
My GM is giving us 4 free levels in a class we dont have. They don't count towards our total level, but give a us the features we would otherwise get for multiclassing into the chosen class, and the 3 levels progression.

I have a Bladelock. Due to the Bracers of Defence I got, that actually makes me incredibly tanky, I feel pretty good on the front line. I am level 12 with 18 Dex and 20 Cha. I plan on using the ASI from level 4 to get to 20 Dex and 20 Cha. My current primary weapon is a rapier.

I want to buff my melee prowess. I dont want Paladin, both because of party has one, and because I just dont want to multiclass into it.

My initial thought was going for Fighter, but I am not sure what archetype I want. EK seems redundant, but I cant decide between Champion and Battle Master. Is BM worthwhile if I dont progress further? I could, but I'd rather stick to Warlock unless something is really worth going deeper for.

Any other class I should consider? I really want my melee to get better.
>>
>>53693789
What is XGE?
>>
>>53693789
>three for each class
I thought it was two or more?
>>
>>53693818
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
>>
File: DBagGBVUQAEr1SP[1].jpg (104KB, 828x465px) Image search: [Google]
DBagGBVUQAEr1SP[1].jpg
104KB, 828x465px
>>53693818
Right is limited edition cover
>>
File: 1487296780557.png (521KB, 843x768px) Image search: [Google]
1487296780557.png
521KB, 843x768px
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDJNE93
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNNRFOI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IFIM

Rate my order that's coming in tomorrow.
>>
>>53693792
>fucking-weird-thing-from-outside-reality
>Actual consentacles are possible fluff wise
W E W
E
W
>>
>>53693818
Xanathar's Guide to Eroticism.
>>
>>53693822
Last time heard it was three, could be it changed or I'm misremembering the number.
>>
>>53693742
Any martial works if you PAM GWM them, problem is Warlocks pay through the nose to not keel over the instant anything decent slaps their asshole. I don't disagree that the can work, they just suck compared to literally any other gish. If they got their mandatory invocations for free and medium armor from the start it wouldn't be so bad.

Im still on the fence of them smiting, but if they are going to do it, that shit better be nuts.
>>
>>53693869
And of course your patron giving you secret messages written on trees, in the sky, or in your dreams. Only things you can see though.

This doubtless leads to the Booty Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>53693869
Anything's possible fluff wise because the actual rules are setting agnostic - they assume the existence of certain fantasy elements but none of those bind the game to any specific world.
>>
>>53693761
>pdf

I want poorfags to get out.
>>
>>53693710
1. Intelligence is more appropriate for a warlock than charisma.
2. That is a rather large power spike. I'll spread it out a bit.
3. Oversight, I will switch both to intelligence.
4. I don't know what you mean by this.
5. I like it, but at the same time, I would prefer something that isn't just "paladins, but different" I haven't thought of something like that yet.
6. Good point.
7. Could you elaborate on this one? What bonus am I preventing a character from getting by offering a bonus now?
8. This is intentional.
9. I ultimately intend this to be a complete warlock document, so while I was watching a show last night, I integrated every invocation that I currently intend to have.
10. I changed it for clarity. I don't know how other people run it, but it has given me no shortage of headaches, because of how vaguely it is worded. So I just added a specific line in there to make things easier.
11. I changed it because I felt the feature was lackluster. One of my goals is to make every invocation seriously worth considering. I'll be going through all of them eventually.
12. You can cast any 4th level spell more often than a wizard who knows the same spell. That's just the nature of warlock spellcasting.
13. Is bane another case of the supposedly far too powerful for warlock spells?
14. This is true of other invocations currently. Alter self at will replaces disguise self at will. I think however you've raised a valid point here, and I'll add a new level requirement to witch sight.
15. I don't believe I've made any changes to Caiphon's beacon yet. I'll take this into account if I do, but I would still appreaciate some clarification on point 7.
16. I completely agree. Is there anything you would change about it?
>>
File: 1485332691067.jpg (135KB, 552x364px) Image search: [Google]
1485332691067.jpg
135KB, 552x364px
After spending countless days and hours working on a homebrew fix to various things I have decided to say fuck it and play completely vanilla.

How did realizing that it just isn't worth it improve your games, /5eg/?
>>
>>53693801
My instinct is that your DM is insane, but if you're having fun, good on him.

Rogue or Bard are clearly the best choices, because you will get expertise. Choose expertise in athletics, and you will become a grappling monster on the frontlines.
>>
>>53693143
I honestly think the only changes that need to be made are:

Bladelocks get Extra Attack at level 5.

Bladelocks, at level 3, get to choose a fighting style from those available to the fighter.

Allow the Hexblade UA, but allow any of the patron+blade pact invocations to work with your pact weapon, rather than a specific weapon type.

Restrict the Hexblade UA invocations to only be able to smite with Warlock slots, OR lower the damage to that of the Paladin smite (2d8 for level 1, +1d8 per slot level).

I think that'd make them fine.
>>
>>53689862
I don't have true villains. The villains become whoever the party sides against. My main three powers are a devil named Azazel, who rules a city to the north based on survival of the fittest and power trumps all. He commands several enslaved legions of demons, and uses them merciless against his foes. He's also a very powerful baralbarian-like warrior. These demons have a reason not to rebel; he found a way to bind them to a crystal he keeps on a necklace around his neck. If it's destroyed, the demons are as well. In the south, a queen named Judith rules the major city. She is actually a celestial being manifesting as a normal Aasimar. She believes in the strong protecting the weak, and she believes absolute devotion to her deity is required. Currently she is keeping the legions of Azazel at bay, but that's about it. She is punishing the people of her domain for their blasphemy and heresy. They are very weak and hardly have enough food to survive. She sent away the celestials that once protected them and aided them in farming and such as part of the punishment. The third major power is an old Beholder residing in an island far off the coast. He's not openly hostile or even evil truly. He once watched over the mainland as a quiet protector, with a hands-off approach to ruling. The citizens eventually came to fear him, as very few had ever truly contacted him and not many knew what he did. He mainly kept powerful people in line and stopped kings and queens from rising to power. The citizens eventually tried to have him killed, so he abandoned them to live on his island with a few devoted followers and his pets. He now wants to return and requires the party to aid him.

Basically, depending on who my party sides with, they have to take out the other major powers and those groups become the villains. I'm honestly hoping they side with the Beholder. I'm loving designing his character a lot. Azazel and Judith are interesting as well though.
>>
>>53693980
>1. Intelligence is more appropriate for a warlock than charisma.
>implying a supernatural patron would bargain with some stuttering autist

You'd need a strong personality to not wind up just screwed into some eternal torment for the attempt.
>>
>>53689307
My players decided to switch from 3.5e to 5e. We will have the first game using the new edition and I will DM it. Thus far, I'm pretty sure that switching was a great idea since everything seems easier and more streamlined. We never used the full potential of 3.5e and only used the core rulebooks, therefore the limitations in character design don't really bother us.

However, I'm struggling a bit with identifying appropriate monsters. My party consists of 8 players of 5th level. Should I stick to what the MM provides, or will creating Kobolds with character levels work as well as in 3.5?

I really need a raft full of kobold pirates...
>>
>>53694017
The UA specifically calls out smites to only use Lock slots. I'd say give blade pact Lifedrinker for free at 12 too. With freed up invocations and a fighting style they'd be very formidable. Even better with some spell options.

WotC just doesn't want them to be good in the slightest because other classes would gain even more from the best dip class and their retarded idea for short rest slots.
>>
Here's the poll btw.

https://strawpoll.com/aww32yx

I believe intelligence fits best, due to the warlock's focus on forbidden lore. Essentially, a warlock is bargaining for homeschooling with their strange cultish parents, and an eventual ivy league education at the illustrious demonic/archfey/goo schools where their parents have strange connections, while a wizard is going to public school, and will eventually settle for a good, but not great state college.

But charisma works too. In the end, 4e's system of alternate class paths with different stat focuses was great, and should have been carried over to 5e.
>>
>>53694078
No, the Hexblade UA doesn't specify Warlock slots.

It's the revised one that does, which I don't think anyone should use, because it both lowered the damage (to below what the Paladin gets), and specifies Warlock slots.
>>
>>53694037
Refluff regular humanoid pirates as kobolds; you can also use the kobolds from Volo's. I recommend against building enemies like PCs, the math is different.
>>
>>53694103
The revised one is what they are going to use going forward. You'd be silly to assume that it isn't getting restrictions. They actively hate this archtype, stated so at the start of the newest UA. These replace the old ones.
>>
>>53693980
1. That's your opinion. You asked me what I don't like. And personally, I think the witch/warlock archetype should be more beguiling than scholarly.
4. Never mind then, I reread the invoc and it's pretty messy. "You know the spell while carrying the brazier," "you can cast the spell as a warlock or as a ritual but then it's weaker and also more expensive" are both things I don't love.
7. If I learn a skill and THEN get Beguiling Influence, I have a bonus. But I can't get Beguiling Influence and THEN choose the skill. This introduces too much rigidity to the "build order," for lack of a better term.
8. You asked me what I don't like, not what's wrong. I don't like that. I just also happen to think it's poor design.
11. That's part of my problem. The invocations aren't all good, but (pardon the bluntness) my disagreement with your design philosophy will probably mean I don't like your list either.
12. Yes, but the "nature of warlock casting" is the reason certain spells are not available to them. I do hope you've read http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes.
13. It's another case of a spell that shouldn't be spammed every battle, and warlocks basically do nothing but spam a single spell.
16. Keeping in line with 5e, I'd make it "when dice are rolled to heal you, you can choose any number of them to reroll once, at the same time. You must keep the new rolls."
>>
>>53694116
Thanks a lot ... although I feel pretty dumb for not getting the idea to refluff a monster on my own.
>>
>>53694167
I didn't say WotC wasn't going to use it going forward, I'm just saying I think people shouldn't use it.

I'm suggesting using the Hexblade UA, with the changes I listed earlier, would fix melee lock.
>>
I'm hoping this isn't OCD or anything but I just picked up Volo's Guide and it's sort of bugging me that the PHB, Monster Manual, and DMG all have the red "Dungeons and Dragons" label on the bottom of the spine but Volo's Guide has it at the top. It looks weird on the bookshelf.
>>
>>53694199
Wait nevermind ignore that, I just had all the other books on the shelf upside down
>>
>>53694199
I'm glad I don't have physical copies of all 4 because that would annoy the shit out of me as well.
>>
>>53694194
Alright then, but be aware that when XGE hits the old Hexblade UA will be replaced by whatever is new. I think it's foolish to do fixes for UA content anyway. Make the base class better then address the upcoming shit.
>>
I'm itching for some DnD-like fun, and my normal group doesn't play until Sunday. Is Neverwinter Nights 2 good for this sort of thing? I'm not a social person so I would prefer a video game over actually playing online.
>>
Since people seem to think Storm Herald barbarian will be in Xanathar's Guide, I went back and looked at it again and it looks pretty damn fun. Anyone played one?
>>
>>53694256
Try the first. I could never finish NWN2, despite the improvements in the game mechanics. Always felt like a chore.
>>
>>53694014
>Rogue or Bard are clearly the best choices, because you will get expertise. Choose expertise in athletics, and you will become a grappling monster on the frontlines.
Rogue feels... not right. I am a frontline fighter.

Bard is better. Maybe Valor, though armour is pretty useless by now, since between 20 Dex, mage armour and Bracers of Defence, I can't really get more AC from medium armour. Is one of the UAs worth looking into, or is Valor the best all around choice?

About him being insane- nah, he is trying to make us scale up to be more powerful. He likes epic campaigns, and the expected end level is supposed to be 25. Giving us 3 free levels is just a way to add more features to our builds, since so far we have all refused to multiclass, and he has a hard on for multiclassing in general.
>>
>>53694256
NWN2 isn't great.

1 is better.
>>
>>53694256
That' what I do to get my DnD fix in-between sessions. It basically is 3.5 in video game form, and it is pretty great.
>>
>>53694215
>>53694199
The intelligence of 5e players everyone.
>>
>>53694191
1. Fair enough. Have you contributed your vote to the survey?
4. I'll clean it up some more, and try to simplify it. The goal here was to provide the warlock player with some more options for higher level casting in a balanced way, and I'm experimenting on the best way to do that.
7. I see. I'll think about a better way to do this one.
8. Fair enough. I think we'll just have to disagree on this point.
11. All I can ask is that you keep providing this excellent criticism for future revisions then.
12. I have read it. I don't think polymorph (or bane) is annoying to cast every encounter. A conjuration spell probably is, but the spell level I've chosen is level 3. At the level the invocation is gotten, a wizard or druid probably could already cast conjure animals every battle, so I felt in that situation it was okay.
13. See above. I don't think bane is annoying to cast every battle.
16. Wouldn't keeping it in line with 5e be more of an advantage system, letting you choose the roll you want to take?
>>
>>53689307
Is there enough blood in a dragon wyrmling to take a bath in to become a half-dragon?
>>
>>53694321
You can go Swashbuckler if you went Rogue. I think those are enough levels to get the passive disengage-lite
>>
>>53689478
What is this exactly?
>>
>>53689862
Can really be summed up by five words:
The wizard must be stopped
>>
>>53694321
College of Swords (not the revised one, which as usually with wizards revisions, makes it worse)
College of Whispers
College of Satire
>>
>>53693752
Stone Sorcerrer gets a great Unarmoured feature.

The subclass can pick either loosing out on their Spell attack and save DC or their Gish functionality for which they need STR.

Since they benefit the most of concentration spells and spells that require no attack rolls or use Melee weapon attack rolls , going full melee mage is the best option.

You get a free 13+ Con mod AC where you can still benefit from wielding a Shield.

Booming blade covers your melee cantrips, smites cover your higher level damage spells, shield+abosrb elements for tanking, twin haste/enlarge etc...

Meanwhile you get to help your allies tank attacks and also get what is practicall a ranged AOO+free teleport.
>>
>>53689862
Arabesque gold baron who uses his wealth to acquire the most beautiful things/people in the world and systematically destroy them to rob the world of its beauty.
>>
>>53694347
16. I'm thinking of stuff like Great Weapon Fighting, which forces you to use the new roll. That seems to be how 5e rolls (pun intended), because it's simpler than keeping two sets of dice on the table and meticulously choosing one-by-one.

>Excellent criticism
Stop it, you'll make me blush

But seriously, think about 8 some more. There's a reason some spells aren't available on short-rest recharge, and changing invocations in that way should at least raise their level requirement.
>>
How do you handle fame?
>>
>>53694534
>>53694534
>>53694534

new thread
>>
>>53694542
With drink and drugs
>>
>>53693194
Is it really any more retarded than five eldritch blasts?
>>
>>53689581
I always assumed chugging a potion was an object interaction, but so was taking one out of your bag. So if you wanted to pull out a potion and drink it it costs a turn, but if you had a free hand you could pull it out of your pouch for free and one turn, and drink it for free on the next
>>
>>53694012
Well my players sure are more joyful since I stopped being a little bitch.
>>
>>53691582
I guess I'm in the minority that liked it. I prefer keeping the invocations as modular as possible. I can just flavor the weapon to be patron specific anyhow, and I think the secondary ability is fine.

Though, I get wanting more of the epic custom flavor, but I feel like this is a good direction for more creativity, and not less.

I do get the complaint about IPW, there should be some kind of at least +0 magic boost to the base boon, but whatever, most of the games I play are stupid easy to trip over some good weapons.
>>
>>53690607
I need to steal the BBEG's macguffin so I can do something with it.
>>
>>53692896
Don't drop to 0 once per day, and +5 speed vs +1 Con, and poison resist. The rest doesn't matter for a martial.
>>
>>53694927
>>53689581

It's always been a "use an object" action at my table, unless you have some feature that lets you do so as a bonus action. It's just the only thing that fits as far as I can tell.

I don't care about CR, but one thing I wish they spelled out more is how their potion, twin-casting, and resurrection shit is not core, every time. If for no other reason than it might reduce the number of shit I get from first time players going "but Mat Mercer does it THIS way..." as if that's some kind of argument against my call as the DM.
>>
>>53693542
The fight for your soul isn't over, but that doesn't mean your ass is safe.
>>
>>53689827
Fuck you, full reconciliation route. Mom is great and powerful and only wants what's best for him. Embrace the pact--take her power to the next level.
>>
>>53694419
>>
>>53691473
How are you statting/running the sharknados? Can you share some of your plans? I'd like to try to do a one-off adventure like this
>>
>>53691478
Why wouldn't Shepherd Circle be allowed?
>>
>>53697710
Because summoning is broken.
>>
>>53697876
Elaborate.
>>
So what does 5e do best? My group's been talking about running it, but I can't get a general consensus about why. 4e was all about combat, 3.5e was about having a rule for literally everything, etc. What kind of games typically occur with 5e?
>>
>>53697933
8 Wolves are OP for a 3rd level slot
8 Pixies are OP for any slot
Then they made a 'ruling' that by the DM having statistics that you can't pick your own creature just because spells like this were objectively a mistake, and the fact that a CR 2 is compared to 8 CR 1/4s shows that they didn't understand how the math worked in 5e.
Spells like this need to be scrapped, and replaced with something that doesn't assume that CR is equivalent to power, which means you need long lists of what you can summon at each spell level instead of just listing the CR.
>>
File: 1496923679748.png (371KB, 832x868px) Image search: [Google]
1496923679748.png
371KB, 832x868px
>>53689307
Is there any videogame, roleplaying game, pen and paper game, tabletop game, or VR game that let me play as a western gunslinger with a colt peacemaker a la Mysterious Stranger in quasi-medieval/renaissance/baroque fantasy setting?
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.