[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 34

File: 1494082233219.jpg (548KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
1494082233219.jpg
548KB, 1200x750px
Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53670335

Favorite class and why go!
>>
>>53677473
He's black under the helmet.
>>
Rogue for mechanics
Warlock because i'm an edgelord.
>>
File: Rivergard Keep.png (1MB, 932x625px) Image search: [Google]
Rivergard Keep.png
1MB, 932x625px
Asking again. Anyone have advice for running Rivergard Keep? Characters are only level 3... I'm thinking I should drop a couple bandits/reavers, but I'm not sure. Maybe only if they go full retard and try to storm the place?
>>
>>53677514
Everybody's red when you peel off the skin.
>>
So what's your favorite definition of railroading and how do you personally go about avoiding it as a player and a DM?
>>
>>53677473
Ranger because someone has to like them
>>
>>53677514
>Implying

He's actually what ever you want him to be.
>>
>>53677536
I can offer you nothing, because my party scaled a wall in the dead of night and SWAT 4'd every room with Silence or blitzkrieg grappling shenanigans.
>>
>>53677473
Monk. Because literally kicking the shit out of things is fun.
>>
Sentinel + Tunnel Fighter
Is it as powerful as it seems? Or do you not get to utilize it as often as you'd think?
>>
>>53677630
>he
>>
>>53677632
I doubt they will be so lucky.
>>
>>53677587
>So what's your favorite definition of railroading and how do you personally go about avoiding it as a player and a DM?
Not allowing players to make choices for their characters. To avoid it as a DM, you simply allow your players to make choices, and react accordingly. IMO players cannot railroad, it is something done to players.
>>
File: Warlock Rework Tentative.pdf (809KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Rework Tentative.pdf
809KB, 1x1px
Looking for some critique here. Am I missing something? Tried to make it less front-loaded while trying to keep the same power level.
>>
>>53677647
Tunnel fighter is stupid broken
>>
>>53677514
>Implying it is not an undead ghost warrior using his ghostness to move the armour and sword
>>
>>53677718
clearly just animated armor
>>
>>53677693
Ignore that favorite bit, I'm going crazy but on the players part I meant if you get railroaded, how do you handle it. Should've worded that better.
>>
>>53677473
I really like fighter because it has two of the best archetypes and I don't care too much about class.
>>
>>53677759
It was worded fine, just understood poorly.
>>
>>53677759
>Ignore that favorite bit, I'm going crazy but on the players part I meant if you get railroaded, how do you handle it. Should've worded that better.
my bad. Thankfully, i've never encountered shameless railroading outside of a written adventure module. Most of my friends prefer a flowing narrative. But the best way to deal with it is to simply confront your DM in a mature way and discuss your grievances. Or say FUCK THIS SHIT and leave the game.
>>
>>53677668
Now you're catching on
>>
So I've been working on a homebrew fix for the Warlock class.

I understand that no matter what someone proposes somebody will complain, and I accept that. But unless it is constructive or brings up major fuck-ups on my part I will be ignoring the hate for the most part. Feedback is welcome, and I thank you in advance.

It's about half done but honestly this is more or less finished as-is. My main changes are to the Pact Boons and in giving Warlock the ability to take either Charisma or Intelligence as a spellcasting modifier (explained why in the Spellcasting Ability section), and I also made a complete overhaul to Eldritch Master at level 20 and made it possible to convert a Mystic Arcanum into spell slots once per long rest (which is why I replaced the original level 20 capstone).

I just realized that I did not edit it in but I intend on giving 1 additional spell slot for warlocks around level 16 and higher, for a maximum of 5. Will play around with the numbers later when I get back.

I don't see myself changing any of the Otherworldly Patron features. Archfey/fiend/GOO will stay the same, invocations will mostly stay the same. The only change I intend for Eldritch Invocations for Ascendant Step and/or Jump and Thirsting Blade. I intend on tweaking Ascendant Step/Jump slightly, MAYBE, but mainly since Thirsting Blade has been rolled into the Pact of the Blade it will grant a new bonus: You gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your spellcasting modifier on a damage-inducing strike (you cannot gain more temporary hit points than you have dealt in damage to the target). At the end of combat or after 10 minutes half of the temporary hit points gained through this invocation will become actual hit points. Simple enough.

Oh, also, Pact of the Blade is gishwetdreams now. I'd still pick Tome though.

I have to go to work for now but I will be back and will read all the delicious hate and comments. I regret nothing.

>>53677696
I'll look at yours later too.
>>
>>53677805
By which I meant that, since it's a negro, the correct pronoun is 'it.'
>>
>>53677822
one last thing: Biggest thing I have to crunch later will be the Pact of the Chain bonuses I think.

I think that it's fairly balanced. The spells you gain are concentration and when broken the summons fade away, and to cast it you expend spell slots, but I'm sure someone will point out some horrific exploit that I overlooked. At least it's better than a single fucking find familiar. Dreadful.
>>
>>53677837
>not wanting to enjoy a nice bowl of cocoa puffs
>>
>>53677822
>>53677877
OH AND ONE LAST FINAL THING BEFORE I REALLY GO TO WORK

I don't like the UA shit so I'm more or less completely ignoring it. I'm only touching shit in the PHB.
>>
File: chrome_2017-06-07_17-14-13.png (164KB, 344x318px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-06-07_17-14-13.png
164KB, 344x318px
Too much?

This is for a party of six level 7 PCs that are at war with a cabal of Vampires
>>
>>53677837
If that's what you want under the helm then that is it. Welcome to DnD where you pretend to be someone you are not.
>>
We're about to run a bs one shot at level 20, I'm thinking of going v human 17 pally/3 warlock for shits with PAM and GWM. What pact and oath should I take? How do you guys think it'll work out?
>>
>>53677935
why would i use that when i can use a belt of giant strength and a lightning javelin?
>>
>>53677822
Blade getting two extra attacks is just stupid and steps on Fighter's toes.
>>
>>53678027
Because there's no magic item store!
>>
>>53677716
If your DM is a jackass, yes.
>>
>>53678084
Don't start this shit. You'll attract that autist, who keeps screeching "If it's in core, I am entitled to use it!".
>>
Does character consistency come with time? I just did my first session and I find it hard to stick to one type of personality, if that makes sense.
>>
>>53678063
While yes, getting 2 extra attacks is dumb, nobody cares about your special snowflake fighter powers.
>>
>>53678084
even still, this is objectively worse than just giving your players a belt of giant strength and a javelin of lightning.
Reasons:
The belt doesn't wear off after three hits
The Javelin works when YOU want it to
The items can be split between two party members, meaning twice as many people are happy.
No one gets TWO levels of exhaustion

Seriously, no one in my party would ever touch this.
>>
>>53678126
It will come in a few sessions.
>>
>>53678126
Chalk it up to your character being around new people. Everyone tends to be especially malleable in new situations with new people. Your personality will come through with time.
>>
>>53678063
Oh and giving proficiency with martial weapons is stupid too if you consider that you also gave them the ability to keep several pact weapons. Just use the old ruling of "you're proficient while you wield it"
>>
>>53678144
>Seriously, no one in my party would ever touch this.
Good thing it wasn't built for your party, then.

But thank you for the feedback, I'll take it into consideration.
>>
File: Anna_fates_portrait.png (178KB, 366x477px) Image search: [Google]
Anna_fates_portrait.png
178KB, 366x477px
>>53678084
That's what you think...
>>
>>53678139
>one of two major features which make fighter even worth considering compared to the other martials
>lol special snowflake
>>
>>53678189
Go away Anna, no time for your inter-dimensional nonsense.
>>
>>53677935
>2 levels of exhaustion
Goddamn.
What were you intending to accomplish with this item?
>>
>>53678144
Maybe he doesn't want to give them a belt of giant strength and javelins of lighting you autist
>>
>>53678209
I personally feel, as do my players, that powerful things should come with serious risks.

Two levels of exhaustion is probably too much of a risk, but I'm not sure what I'll change it to.
>>
>>53677822
I liked your explanation for Int/Cha.
It's interesting how you reworked Chain into a summoner.
Removing cost to transfer spells into the book is just silly.

Mystic Arcanum is OP, you're giving "free" spell slots.
Eldritch Master is too weak for a 20th level feature.

I feel you're trying to fix the wrong things with MA and EM, and adding too much stuff instead of rearranging the ones currently on the class.
>>
>>53678215
>Maybe he doesn't want to give them a belt of giant strength and javelins of lighting you autist
apparently he does, because that's what this borderline cursed item is.
>>
>>53678236
Well, what do you define as a risk? Something as detrimental as crippling you until you rest, or something more immediate like a chance that bolt of lightning fires off indiscriminately?
Besides, unless I read it wrong, you basically don't have to lightning bolt and you're always fine.
>>
>>53678314
>upon reaching 3 charges, a Lightning Strike is unleashed

yeah, no, you have no choice as written, after three hits the power of the gloves is drained.

Literally the best way to use this item is to activate it and never attack with it, so you can enjoy that lightning immunity forever.
>>
>>53678314
Ah, completely misread it. You hit something three times for +9 damage, and boom, lightning bolt for 10d6.
All that for disadvantage on ability checks and half speed until your next long rest?
>>
>>53678358
TWO levels of exhaustion, TWO long rests to get rid of disadvantage.
>>
>>53678314
The lightning bolt goes off the moment 3 charges is reached. That may be just my wording being unclear.

And yes, I feel that power like this should come at the cost of crippling you if you don't use it wisely.

Two levels of exhaustion is definitely too much.

>>53678350
Needs to be reworded then, because they *are* weapons, taking up both of your hands. You wouldn't be able to attack with anything else.

>>53678358
Yes, the two points of exhaustion is too much and needs to be changed.
>>
What are some ideas for pros and cons of drinking the ichor of maglubiyet?
>>
>>53677473
Druid. I love being able to fly and summon bears.
>>
>>53678377
>Needs to be reworded then, because they *are* weapons, taking up both of your hands. You wouldn't be able to attack with anything else.
even still, be mage, get war caster feat, activate gauntlets, get swole, be immune to lightning. Nuke bitches.
>>
>>53678377

How about this
>For the next minute, your strength becomes 29, you gain immunity to lightning, and you can spend an action to discharge a lightning bolt.
>In exchange, you become negatively charged. Until your next short or long rest, you gain vulnerability to lightning damage, and attacks made with metal weapons have advantage to hit you.
>>
>>53677473
How do you witch?
>>
>>53677935
>be fighter
>use 1d6+9 legendary item that gives me exhaustion after 3 hits
or
>grab a normal greataxe, grab great weapon master
>do 1d12+15 all day erry day

your players would have to be absolutely retarded to use this item as is.

>>53678496
>How do you witch?
be female, be "warlock"
>>
File: chrome_2017-06-07_17-55-39.png (231KB, 343x443px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-06-07_17-55-39.png
231KB, 343x443px
>>53678482
That's an interesting idea.

I worked it into this iteration, but I might change it entirely to just work like that.
>>
>>53678496
Warlock, Tome, find familiar into a Raven/Cat, at 9th pick levitate at will and buy a broom, fly with the broom.
>>
>>53678559
>still worse than using a normal greataxe
>>
File: tfw.jpg (24KB, 328x327px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
24KB, 328x327px
Who thought this face was a good idea?
>>
>>53678647
Still better judgement than that of your mother.
>>
>>53678631
And?

Nobody in the group uses any 2handed weapons. None of them use GWM.

The item was designed for a specific group, with their playstyles in mind. Why would I factor in something none of them use? I was simply looking for feedback on whether the /effects/ would be alright.
>>
>>53678496
Personally I think Fey Warlock with Chain pact has the best flavour, but mechanically I'd probably just play a Druid instead.
>>
>>53678683
>still worse than using a normal 1d8 weapon.
>>
>>53677473
Depends on my mood but magic, and by extension, wizards, are dope.
>>
>>53678559
I'm not sure that the advantage on incoming attack rolls is something I'd be excited about.
Guess it'd be okay for a barbarian
>>
>>53678379
The character becomes fluent in goblin. Their pick of Fury of the Small or Saving Face from the goblin/hobgoblin class features. Permanent -2 to cha.as the character's body is warped to more closely resemble a goblin. The character now pings to Detect Evil and Good if they don't already. Cha counts as 21 when interacting with goblins.
>>
>>53678703
>my normal weapon lets me cast lightning bolt
noted
>>
>>53678732
>my normal weapon doesn't try to get my ass killed
>>
>>53678725
racial features*
>>
>>53678713
>>53678744
Alright, the metal weapon part can go.
>>
>>53678744
just use the bolt then take them off senpai
>>
>>53678768
>just use the bolt then take them off senpai
you would still be negatively charged.
>>
>>53678787
>the wielder...
nah
can't be the wielder if you ain't wielding
>>
File: chrome_2017-06-07_18-10-20.png (219KB, 352x412px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-06-07_18-10-20.png
219KB, 352x412px
>>53678787
Still keep in mind these are designed for a party where there is nobody using GWM, but is this any better for you?
>>
>>53678813
>missing an m in 'slamming'
>Strength 'score', not strength 'stat'
>'a' minute should be 'one' minute
>wielder should become positively charged, assuming lightning in D&D works based on electrons
>lightning strike will hit the wielder (not sure if bug or feature)
Other than that you're good to go
>>
>>53677822
Anon, I'm >>53677696, may I use your text for spellcasting ability? Really liked it.
>>
>>53678964
The wielder is immune during the effect of the gauntlets, so the strike hitting them shouldn't do anything to them.

I'll fix the other stuff, thanks.
>>
>>53678766
now i have been giving you a lot of shit for this weapon, but i think i will give you some advice, as well.

The biggest problem is not the drawback of the weapon, but that the bonuses just aren't good enough to justify the drawbacks. 29 Str, for three hits is only +12 damage over a normal Str 20 character, adding in that the weapon is only a d6 means that they are losing 1-2 damage from their normal weapon (presumably), netting only a +9 damage over three hits, sure the lightning strike can add a lot of damage, but so could a simple spell wand. If any of your players have a +1 weapon, then the bonuses diminish even further.

If you want something like vulnerability, advantage against them, or exhaustion, the weapon has to kick some major ass.

I, personally, would do something like this:
1d6 damage
when activated, the weapon gains 1 charge every successful hit, for each charge, the weapon deals an additional 1d10 lightning damage. After 1 minute, or when the weilder removes the gauntlets, they lose immunity to lightning and take lightning damage equal to the amount of charges on the gauntlets. The gauntlets then lose all charges.

Now you have an item worth using, but cautiously.
>>
>>53679006
Thanks anon, the feedback, both positive and negative, is appreciated.

Now by, "Damage equal to the amount of charges on the gauntlets", you mean a simple 5 damage if the effect ends and they have 5 charges, right?
>>
>>53679035
yes, could be more, the numbers were really just to illustrate the effects, could make twice the amount, or 1d6/charge, or however deadly you want it.
>>
>>53679073
Alright.

Thanks again.

I'll try to incorporate some of the idea here.
>>
>>53679073
keep in mind, the real drawback is while the damage may not be much, they will likely have taken damage in combat first, so that 7 or 10 damage, could easily put them down.
>>
>>53677822
Attacking 3 times is unneeded, bake in lifedrinker instead.
>>
>>53677473
Cleric or Ranger. Preferably both in one. I enjoy Clerics for their shear mechanics and versitiliity, no one ever bitches that you've brought a Cleric to the table. Rangers I enjoy because I like being nature animal man.

Least favorite are Paladin and Bard. Paladins are really just kinda bland and unfun to me, while Bards always seem silly.
>>
Why are there so many autistic and retarded people in these threads? This is 5eg for fuck's sake.
>>
>>53679073
>>53679127
I'm thinking of keeping the Lightning Strike mostly because the players are drawn to it.

I'm thinking that I could make it optional? Before the minute ends, you can expend all your currently stored charges do do the lightning damage (slightly reduced, d8 instead of d10) in an area of your choosing. Sound worth it?
>>
>>53679199
>Sound worth it?
that sounds good, yeah
>>
>>53677696
I'm personally not a fan of the improved weapon invocation being a thing. I'd recommend adding the spell implement component in as a level 3 feature for pact of the blade. I said in the previous thread I'm not a huge fan of Eldritch smite being a level 5 restricted one but I see what you are doing.
>>
What do you think are the funnest spells that are often overlooked? Personally I've never seen anyone else take Passwall but it's pretty useful when you need it.

Also can be used as a pit trap.
>>
File: Rich_Evans_In_Repose.jpg (57KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rich_Evans_In_Repose.jpg
57KB, 919x720px
>>53677473
Ranger, thematically. I was initially drawn to that class over all the others because I liked the idea of being a wily trap setter that doesn't play fair and deals with enemies through clever planning and thinking two steps ahead.
>>
Why would anyone take Beserker over Totem Warrior? Exhustion levels seem really steep.
>>
>>53679292
>dual wield or take PAM
>berserker without exhaustion
e-z
>>
>>53679292
it is and no one takes it over Totem.
>>
>>53677473
Mechanics Paladins. Everything else Warlocks.
>>
>>53679292
It's fun.
>>
>>53679256
I'm also not a fan.

I kept it as it is part of the UA invocations that were kept on the last UA. I find it is poor design giving stuff that should be on the hands of the DM.

I'll make the spellcasting thing like Bard's College of Swords, then.

>I said in the previous thread I'm not a huge fan of Eldritch smite being a level 5 restricted one but I see what you are doing.
I didn't erase the 5th level restriction from the invocations because Eldritch Invocations may be moved from a 5th level feature and I'd have to write everything back.
>>
>>53679292
It has it's place. It's weaker then Totem but still alright.

Frenzy you would only use in a big fight, probably once per session. When you use it then you'll be a fury of 3 Greatsword attacks per round. Their level 6 is awesome as well, means they can dump Wisdom pretty hard.
>>
>>53679279
>What do you think are the funnest spells that are often overlooked?
you'd be surprised how many people overlook Grease.

Speak with plants/animals is also surprisingly good. I actually threw by DM for a loop with speak with plants. We were trying to find the source of what was poisoning all the villagers, so i asked the crops about their water quality.
Speak with animals is likewise useful when trying to find someone. Simply ask the birds/squirrels. They may not be able to ID someone but they can at least tell you if any humanoids came through recently.
>>
>>53679292
If you're in a campaign where there's one fight a day followed by a long rest.
I was in that campaign, and it was pretty iconic and fun.
>>
>>53678379
Your weapon attacks deal an extra 2d6 necrotic damage to orcs. If this reduces them to 25 or fewer hit points, they must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma save or die. On a successful save they become frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Once per long rest you can cast Command, with a spell save of 8+your proficiency+your charisma modifier
>>
>>53677473
Bard.
I basically am one in real life already (though this is entirely coincidental), I like having multiple utility to support my group, and in my very first game of D&D ever I played a Bard.
>>
>>53679344
Well other than those two I think it's solid, I'd say add shit like Cursebringer back in but I'm sure it'll pop back up this fall.
>>
Do a monk's fist count as finesse weapons?
>>
>>53679443
Strictly speaking, no.
>>
Any token packs for Tome of Beasts?
>>
>>53679292
At 10th, use your action to frighten a creature with Intimidating Presence, then make an attack as bonus action to maintain your rage. Or actually use any action while enraged without losing your rage. It's not as useful as Totem, but it has its place.
>>
>>53677822
I'm glad you considered my (and probably others') considerations in keeping CHA based warlocks an option, given the very flexible nature of pacts in the first place.
One thing that worries me aside from the 3 attacks is the wording of having free actions and multiple pact weapons that can take defensive forms.
Being able to instantly summon your halfplate, shield, weapon, and whatever else is somewhat silly from a balance point, even though it's thematically sound
Maybe a bonus action to call anything past your first "weapon"?
>>
Is Blindness/Deafness worth it on an Undying Warlock?
>>
Is there a PDF of the Critter Compendium (?) already?
>>
>>53679439
>I'd say add shit like Cursebringer back in
Do you mean the "change the target" effect or the "reduce a creature's speed to 0" effect?

Also, do you see any problem with which invocations are greater/lesser, or with the points? Originally it would give 6/8/10/12/14/16, but that would give option for too many greater invocations at 5th.
>>
>>53679443
They count as Monk weapons so technically no.
>>
So, Protection From Evil And Good only works against certain types of creature, so no humans or dwarfs, and etc, even if they are evil or good. Is this another way of making alignments useless?
>>
>Snare
>While you cast this spell, you use the cord or rope to create a circle with a 5-foot radius on a flat surface within your reach. When you finish casting, the cord or rope disappears to become a magical trap.

How unreasonable would it be to carry around several 10x10 planks of wood?
>>
>>53679614
do you think it's likely that you'll want to blind someone and not kill them? If not, then go for hunger of hadar.

>>53679789
>So, Protection From Evil And Good only works against certain types of creature, so no humans or dwarfs, and etc, even if they are evil or good. Is this another way of making alignments useless?
No, it's a way of getting rid of lawful stupid paladin shenanigans

>>53679798
>How unreasonable would it be to carry around several 10x10 planks of wood?
how you gonna carry that shit, senpai?
>>
Is there a good Dhampir out there, or should I just let my player use the Plane Shift Zendikar Vampire?
>>
Why are most players only interested in combat? I mean, i know D&D is a game about killing monsters and stealing their shit, but you still have to solve traps and explore. If all i wanted was non-stop action, i would be much better off playing a videogame or something.
>>
>>53679614
It's competing against Hex for your concentration. If you think there's enough situations in your campaign you'd rather leave a nigga blind than fuck him up more directly with EB, go for it.
>>
>>53679858
>how you gonna carry that shit, senpai?
Bag of Holding
>>
Can a barbarian punch themselves to maintain rage?
>>
Why isn't a quarterstaff a finesse weapon?
>>
>>53679921
>If all i wanted was non-stop action, i would be much better off playing a videogame or something.

Hey you fingered it out on your first try, most people believe that is what and RPG is now.
>>
>>53679680
Both ideally, but I'd say hold off cause they've already stated Cursebringer is now a large part of the Hexblade subclass. As for invocations, it's probably fine as is. It's just the nature of the beast that smites have to be delayed with your fix.
>>
>>53679932

I say yes, but they have to make an unarmed strike against themselves to see if it's actually enough to keep the adrenaline flowing.
>>
>>53679858
It's dumb, though. If a necromancer is trying to kill me, the spell won't work just because he is human.
>>
>>53679921
The majority of the rules concern combat and it is assumed your character grows through combat. It sounds like you'd enjoy an older edition more.
>>
>>53679931
only if it's foldable, remember, the mouth of a bag of holding is still bag sized. Also, your idea isn't going to work against non retarded enemies.

>gee look at all this dirt road/cave floor/stone path/grassy field
>oh look a 10x10 wood floor
>better step on that!

>>53679956
>It's dumb, though. If a necromancer is trying to kill me, the spell won't work just because he is human.
except it WILL stop his undead minions. Then you just shoot the faggot necromancer in his smug prick face.
>>
>>53679926
Blindness/Deafness doesn't use Concentration. Same as Grease which makes them good spells to keep around.
>>
>>53679921
I thought I was a combat addict until I got a DM that actually gave us interesting out of combat stuff.
We needed a cure for lycanthropy, but the bishop at the church wouldn't help us, so we had to infiltrate the basement of the church where all the sick people were held to find a friend who could help us.
We disguised ourself as sick people and had one guy fake being in excruciating pain and fall over to distract the clerics while the rest of the group snuck past.
It was rather successful, except it ended with one of our party members being held outside with a circle of confused fanatics surrounding him while he screams in fake pain. "WHAT AILS THIS MAN?!"
Then we had to intervene and tell them it was just our insane friend and there was nothing wrong with him.
>>
>>53679985
>shoot the faggot necromancer in his smug prick face
Sounds like it could be fatal. Best to incapacitate him and take him back to civilization for trial.
>>
>>53680047
>and take him back to civilization for trial.
it's called frontier justice, anon. Shoot the faggot in the face, bring his corpse back for trial.
>>
>>53680047
redemption paladin pls go
>>
What spells are good for Ranger? I don't want to fuck up my tiny tiny spell list.
>>
>>53680047
>He doesn't Cromwell all of his enemies, killing them and then having their corpses executed
>>
>>53680074
Spike Growth
>>
File: homosinheaven.jpg (202KB, 750x741px) Image search: [Google]
homosinheaven.jpg
202KB, 750x741px
>>53680071
>>53680069
>>53680088
>guy is obviously treating with dark powers, his soul is likely already corrupted
>killing him sends his soul straight to Hell where it empowers all the devils and shit that he made deals with
>they use their newfound power to corrupt more mortals or defeat mortal warriors of righteousness they couldn't previously
or
>take him to court
>lawfully tried and sentenced
>lawful angels get a justice boner
>criminal necromancer has to sit in jail and reflect on his misdeeds
>a nice priest comes by and talks with him, shows him the error of his ways
>he repents and accepts one of seventeen goodly lords
>they help wrest his soul back from the forces of Hell
>he goes on to leave a redeemed life, doing good works that compliment your own
>he dies at the ripe age of 85 after setting up an orphanage in his sunset years, named after you
>his soul goes to Heaven and joins its host as an angelic warrior in the neverending battle against Evil
>>
>>53680101
>telling him to take a spell that doesn't do anything

>>53680074
Just use the rules for Paladin casting. You know every spell and memorize a certain number per day that are available to be used. Your DM won't know the difference.
>>
File: Judge_dredd.jpg (23KB, 220x436px) Image search: [Google]
Judge_dredd.jpg
23KB, 220x436px
>>53680157
Unliscenced Necromancy and Untaxed Posession of a Corpse is 150 years in the iso-demiplane, creep.
>>
>>53680157
>bring necromancer back to town
>all according to keikaku
>undead uses powers to turn guards into undead thralls
>necromancer unleashes undead hell upon town from the safety of his new prison stronghold
>>
>>53679921

I had a group of 4E players I got with a few years back that were trying to break out of the whole glorified video game mentality. The DM ran a murder mystery using an Oni that was particularly awesome and was so far from the hack n Slash they were used to that I decided to stick with them. Two and a half years and we are still going and the DM has only gotten better
>>
>>53680171
Or he could not be a cheating faggot? Even if it would be more balanced, it's just a dick thing to do.

>>53680074
Ensnaring Strike, Spike Growth (Ignore the it does nothing stuff, bad joke), Fog Cloud and Cure Wounds are all I can name off the top of my head.

A lot of people say Hunter's Mark but I'm not really a fan of it.
>>
What are a few incentives to play a dwarf martial over a half-orc?
>>
Are there any spells that launch a beacon or flair that hovers in the sky? A la death eater sign or something like that
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (180KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
180KB, 1280x720px
>>53680157
>killing him sends his soul straight to Hell where it empowers all the devils and shit that he made deals with
oh no! whatever shall we do?
>>
>>53680238
Being tough. I highly recommend a Duergar because they get a fuck load of resistances and some good natural spells.
>>
>>53680247
Dancing Lights?
>>
>>53680247
Skywrite, but that does words unless your GM's a cool dude.
>>
>>53680247
Id let you upcast Prestidigitation as a 1st level spell for a similar effect. Silent Image also comes to mind, or casting Light on an arrow
>>
>>53680088
>This was actually a thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthumous_execution
People are so fucking weird.
>>
>>53680238
>bitchin' beard
>winning drinking competitions
>not being an orc
>>
>>53680247
Skywrite lets you Skywrite. I guess you could theoretically scribble a skull shape with it if you DM let you.
>>
File: 160471045.jpg (3MB, 4100x2213px) Image search: [Google]
160471045.jpg
3MB, 4100x2213px
Does anyone have any resources for woodland traps I could make as a ranger to protect camp? I COULD just scatter bear traps everywhere, but I want to be a bit more creative than that
>>
>>53680276
cloud emoticons
>>
>>53680292
snares, tripwires, and punji pits
>>
>>53680264
Cromwell deserved a lot worse. His head wasn't reburied until 300 years after it was chopped off his dead body and that was still too good for him, quite frankly.
>>
>>53680292
Team Rocket tiger pit
>>
>>53680276
>>53680262
skywrite in wingdings font
>>
>>53680336
>Team Rocket tiger pit
he doesn't want to fall into his own trap, anon.
>>
Does anyone have a copy of schley's maps for curse of strahd? had a look on the mega and cant see them.
>>
What is a good premade adventure for Fifth edition, I am just getting back into it.
>>
>>53680292
Taut branch coated in poisonous berry juice - when the trap is sprung, it whips across the face of the trespasser leaving them a lash mark covered in juicy toxins
Carefully gathered mushroom caps that give off a burst of noxious spores if disturbed without the correct precautions
Pheromones and sweet sap painted in a perimeter around the camp, to attract a barrier of hungry bees
Enchanted sling stones handed out to local squirrels, with instructions to hurl them at any unfamiliar faces
>>
>>53680292
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4cLiV_o8Go
G.I. GO HOME
>>
So Cavalier is basically a watered down blend of Knight and Battle Master? Would there be any real benefits to going Cav over Battle Master from a crunch standpoint?
>>
>>53680402
Storm King's Thunder is a lot of fun, open world works well in the pre-established setting of faerun, and the fact wizards actually went with the milestone level format for once was nice, as I never give out exp. Only premade I've actually seen start to finish with a group, and my party is currently level 13 and still going in the same campaign after the events of the module.

Was also the first time I bought a module on roll20, made my life super easy so would recommend even if playing in person. hyperlinked chapters ect are a god send
>>
>>53680468
Cavalier existed before Knight. It doesn't have much point if you don't want to be a mount guy.
>>
How fucking broken would it be to have a Constitution based spell caster? What if it was just a half-caster?
>>
>>53680292

Maybe the swinging spike thing from First Blood?

https://youtu.be/S1FoOWceJmE?t=1m40s
>>
>>53680498
Aight, and are there any other fighter archetypes or classes in general that use superiority dice without using the feat?

And as-written I assume a Battle Master can't take martial adept to gain the two Cavalier exclusive maneuvers while the Cavalier gains more from the feat?
>>
>>53680568
Constitution based blood magic would be interesting.
>>
>>53680585
Monster Hunter and Scout also use superiority die with special features only they get.
And yes, as-written those are locked to those archetypes while Martial Adept says you learn maneuvers "available to the Battle Master archetype of the Fighter class". But it's worth noting those archetypes did not exist when this feat was made.
>>
>>53680568
IIRC, a lot of classes, feats, and the like shy away from Con because it is, without a doubt, the universal stat.
>>
My DM is too uncreative when it comes to describing missed attacks. Which is weird because he's very good at describing hits.
Every attack made against me that misses amounts to "yeah you blocked it with your shield"
I don't understand why it's so hard to describe misses in other ways. Sometimes I should deflect a blow with my sword. Sometimes a blow should just glance off my armour. Maybe I dodge out of the way, or duck under a swing. Not everything has to be blocked by my shield.

How do I relay this to my DM without sounding like a whiny bitch?
>>
>>53680645
>sometimes I should deflect a blow with my sword
>when I have a shield
I don't think so Tim.
>>
>>53677696
You're seriously misunderstanding how good Pact of the Chain is in the base game. It was a serious contender with Pact of the Tome for the best pact boon. Because of that, I don't particularly trust your notions of balance, though you did take the warlock in an interesting direction.
>>
>>53680661
I can imagine a couple scenarios where you would still parry with a sword when you have a shield.
>>
>>53680687
I can imagine precisely fucking zero. Because nobody with a brain tries to deflect with their sword when they have a shield.
>>
>>53680706
Wow, it's a good thing we have an expert warrior here.
>>
>>53680590
It would, but that's not what I'm working on atm.

>>53680643
I know, and I'm hoping the limited spell availability of a half-caster and a d8 HP die makes up for Con being the "max to 20" stat of this homebrew. I guess I'd have to try and playtest it somehow.
>>
>>53680727
It's a shame we have a disabled rodent here.
>>
>>53680727
>dulling/chipping expensive sword
>breaking cheap shield
welp
>>
>>53680743
>>53680737
Fantastic, two men at arms.
>>
File: shieldlove.png (520KB, 644x468px) Image search: [Google]
shieldlove.png
520KB, 644x468px
>>53680645
Have you considered that maybe your character is a Shield Savant blessed by the God of Shields to have preternatural shielding abilities and your DM has been subtly hinting this to you the whole time?
>>
>>53680706
>>53680661
Well regardless, the rest of my post still stands.
>>
>>53680252
Rip and tear, until it is done.
>>
>>53680751
Look at you actually trying to defend yourself. Based on how effectively you're doing it, you must be practicing that whole "defending yourself with your sword" thing, huh?
>>
>>53680761
The only one that's arguable is the glancing off armour, but then, if you're carrying a shield and not being hit, it's because of the shield. If you don't want to block with a shield, stop using a shield.
>>
>>53680771
Show me your credentials, brah.
>>
File: 7ca.jpg (34KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
7ca.jpg
34KB, 600x448px
>>53680758
I certainly hope so
>>
>>53680743
>letting an enemy strike your ruby encrusted shield with his hammer, knocking the expensive gems into the river at your feet, forming a metaphor for blood, as the shield loses most of its value and symbology of the fire of your house.Furthermore, letting that become a critical moment in the memories of everyone present, as the moment your house died in the hearts of the people.
>or blocking with the cheap sword you picked up from the armory the other day.
>>
>>53680314
You do realise it doesn't matter what you do to a person after death, right? I mean, even if you're a an afterlife believing dumbass you should realise this.
>>
>>53680796
Someone wrote this and actually though it was clever.

I bet it was this guy: >>53680783
>>
>>53680796
I don't think you understand the point of shields.
>>
>>53680706
>precisely fucking zero
An attack from your sword side when you are fighting more than one opponent. This happens literally all the time in D&D.
>>
>>53680833
I don't think you do. Shields are for displaying morale boosting artwork on, in the best quality gems, to inspire the riff-raff. Blocking with them risks losing their utility as glorious beacons of hope in the midst of battle.
>>
>New player
>Never played a tabletop before
>We are level 12
>'Probably best you don't play a caster'
>Picks a lore bard
Sure is fun having to pick out an entire spell list for someone and explain what each spell does every single turn
>>
>>53680816
Ah yes, you're right. Because chopping a man's head off and displaying it atop a massive spike that stretched up far above everything else in the city, displayed to every single person within that city, has absolutely no effect on anything whatsoever, right? No way that could serve as a warning or something.
>>
>>53680858
>not having a shield made entirely out of diamonds
>not laughing when your opponent breaks his weapon on your shield
GIT GUD
>>
>>53680796
Actually it's far more likely that the shield would be a hunk of iron/hard wood that's meant to be used and discarded, while the weapon would be much more expensive and meant to be used for longer.

Also the rubies were on his breastplate.
>>
>>53680851
You know what doesn't happen in D&D? Simultaneous attacks. You have six seconds to move your shield, faggot.
>>
>>53680859
It's better than having that player pick a martial and get cucked for the entire rest of the campaign by everyone who picked casters. Endure this pain now, so you don't have to endure it later, when he intentionally kills his character and remakes as a caster.

Seriously, high level balance is so fucking off in favor of casters it's ridiculous. Anytime you bring it up in this thread, people just pretend you're lying about playing games at levels that high (as if it's impossible to keep a group together or start at a high level)
>>
>>53680859
>being so much of a beta that you can't tell them to stow their character and take something less mecganically intense
Then again it's your fault for bringing a new player into a higher-level game.
>>
>>53680887
An entire round is about six seconds. That's why a minute is 10 rounds. However, putting that aside, in D&D each round consists of many exchanges. It's just that the attack roll system is there to represent your chance at successfully gaining advantage and wounding opponents.
>>
>>53680876
anon
you know you can smash diamonds into powder with a few light taps from an ordinary hammer, right
>>
>>53680923
>doesn't know diamonds is the hardest metal known to man.
>>
Dwarf Fighter: yea or nay?
>>
>>53680886
Were they really? Huh. My bad. That's probably why he lost the war. He put his standard on his breast plate, instead of having a ruby engraved design on his shield that he could show his men.
>>
>>53680876
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XzJodPr3v0#t=0m25
>>
>>53680937
Yea boyeeeee
>>
File: bg-DwarfRanger[1].jpg (430KB, 1300x731px) Image search: [Google]
bg-DwarfRanger[1].jpg
430KB, 1300x731px
>>53680937
Nay, gringi
>>
>>53680887
Do you think characters actually stop what they are doing and wait for their next turn in an idle animation? Is this like some vidya?
>>
File: dwarfunimpressed.png (184KB, 368x355px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfunimpressed.png
184KB, 368x355px
>>53680963
>>
>>53680973
Are you illiterate?
>>
>>53680945
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyIn6VRks
>>
>>53680984
Are you? Your situation implies that you have until your next turn to change your position. Which means that nothing is going to happen between now and then.
>>
>>53681003
>Yes I am illiterate
Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>53680887
As others have said, the entire round is six seconds. Turns within a round are not six seconds, they're just what you do in those six seconds. You sound like my player who tried to argue that he could escape a mexican standoff by moving first, because

a) any initiative roll would take place after he finished his move and
b) he would already be around the corner once the other party in the mexican standoff tried to shoot.
>>
>>53680887
Well since an entire round takes only 6 seconds and you probably have a party of 4-6 fighting a group of enemies anywhere between 2-8 strong, each turn probably takes less than half of a second. So I would say if you have multiple enemies on you, you are indeed deflecting attacks almost simultaneously
>>
>>53681017
Whatever, dude, you said something retarded.
>>
>>53681035
>almost
uh oh. someone tried to sneak that one through, didn't they?

>>53681033
you sound like a whiteknight faggot
>>
>DM is running a social game with a lot of wheeling and dealing with noble houses
>heavy on intrigue, light on combat
>the party is two Fighters, a Ranger, and my Barb
>no one has more than 10 Cha and the Ranger is a Strength-based Dorf
this is our game now, DM
>>
>>53681047
>y-y-y-y-y-you're retarded
Christ. You aren't even trying. Go back to your lightsaber clashes or whatever the fuck you were yapping about.
>>
>>53681053
Half of a second is not enough time to deflect two different blows from opposite sides of your body with one shield. Don't be a goalpost-moving shit. You're anonymous, you can stop trying to defend your mistakes now, nobody will know it was you.
>>
>>53681072
>Don't be a goalpost-moving shit
>i-it's a-almost simultaneous
Look at you. Take your own advice, child. You were laughed at by several people immediately. Take the loss and move on. Your DM is right to ruin your shitty weeb fantasies.
>>
>>53681095
Pretty sure it's just you who thinks that there's anything weeb about a parry.
>>
File: scopespin.webm (1MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
scopespin.webm
1MB, 720x480px
>>53681072
>Half of a second is not enough time to deflect two different blows from opposite sides of your body with one shield
It is if you're spinning.
>>
>>53680482
Thanks anon gonna look into this.
>>
>>53681114
You think I don't see you trying to side-step the goalpost-moving comment? Nigga sit down.
>>
>>53681095
The whole argument was just blocking something with a sword when you have a shield. It makes perfect sense to block an attack from your left with your shield, and one from your right with your sword half a second later.
You type like a fag and your shits all retarded.
>>
>>53681171
That's it. Backpedal. Backpedal all the way back before you made a hypocrite of yourself. It's too late to backpedal to before you made a fool of yourself, because that would require backpedaling to before your first spastic post.

>It makes perfect sense to block with your sword
You cannot stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>53681195
Can you give one reason why you wouldn't parry with your sword when attacked from your sword side?
>>
>>53681221
Because you have a fucking shield, you dolt. Try to keep up.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2484x3344px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2484x3344px
So tomorrow im gonna compile all the current UAs into one pdf don't expect anything fancy but it should give something to do while i'm sick
>>
>>53681241
>https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>>
File: 1439744853700.jpg (160KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439744853700.jpg
160KB, 600x600px
>>53681241
Didn't Wizards try to fuck over some guy that did the exact same thing, for some weird reason?

>>53677473
Paladin.
I started getting into TRPGs (only superficially: never got to play for several years because the hobby isn't really a thing here) just before finishing high school, and that period was sort of like a turning point for me as a person. I was a bit of an edgy teenager back then, but thankfully not really an asshole, either.

Either way, reading up on these warriors of virtue and righteousness left a lasting impression in me. Heroes clad in armor, sometimes even faceless, setting out to right wrongs and sow hope, always eager to step forth for the sake of the downtrodden and innocent in a never-ending, uphill effort to make the world a place worth living for, all of this not for fame or power, but for others: for what's good and just.

That's just fucking awesome, and appeals to me on more than one level. DnD was like a precedent in that regard, and I've been a big fan of anything of the sort ever since. Been playing one in my first campaign ever since last year, and enjoying it immensely.

That said, I had never realized my love for the class had such a personal component attached to it until now. It makes me wonder if the same thing happens to other people with other things; fantasy can be a very personal affair, after all.
>>
Alright, /5eg/, shit on my gish homebrew

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByUiTM8fb

I can handle it.
>>
>ITT: a single troll baits half a dozen anons by stating something ridiculous and defending it with half-baked trollery
>>
>>53681309
Yeah i think? But he was chomping on their flavor by making it look offical, im litterally just gon copypaste it into one file
>>
What do you do for art for your characters? Draw it? Comission it? Steal it?
>>
>>53681337
I was completely serious about Spike Growth
>>
>>53681337
>if I call it a troll then I don't have to defend my position
You're fooling no one.
>>
What's a good idea for a Fiend Bladelock without being retarded and edgy?
>>
File: dndsprites.png (135KB, 688x738px) Image search: [Google]
dndsprites.png
135KB, 688x738px
>>53681382
I stitch together sprites from GBA Fire Emblem games.
>>
>>53681221
Stop responding to him, he can't put a cohesive argument together and giving him (You)s only fans the flames of retardation.
>>
>>53681337
I was completely serious about the bag of rats.
>>
File: 1494534230196.png (657KB, 1008x777px) Image search: [Google]
1494534230196.png
657KB, 1008x777px
>>53681382
I make my own, otherwise my perfectionist autism won't be satisfied.
>tfw spend more time on character art than I actually spend playing them, for example this Shadow for a GOO flavor Mystic to summon
>>
>>53680663
Thanks!
What exactly makes the Chain good? Is it the Magic Resistance sharing and the invisibility?
I can see the familiar being useful to do that stuff, I may be a little biased because I play Tome, but is there more besides being the ultimate scout?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>53681453
Have you heard of our lord and damner, Double Satan? He gave this neato sword
>>
File: 1495156646507.jpg (47KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
1495156646507.jpg
47KB, 894x894px
>>53681459
I'd A rank that last battlemaster and maybe that wizard. Shit, need to do this for my game.
>>
>>53679699
But a Monk weapon is a weapon that lets you use dexterity instead of strength, and a Finesse property happens when a melee weapon attack uses dexterity over strength, so all and all, I'd say it's fine
>>
>>53681453
Your character was the victim of a violent crime. While the crime was happening, your character prayed for help, and mercy, but the only thing that answered was your new patron, who offered him or her a deal. Now your character is locked into a contract, and they might embrace it, or they might regret it. They might wonder why the gods didn't answer their prayer, and that could be an interesting story arc too.

>>53681504
The familiar breaks action economy. You have two actions in your turn now, and while you can't use both to attack, you can use one to attack and the other to do any number of things that could influence the battle. Your familiar can drop ball bearings over the enemy, it can tie shoelaces together, it can help action spam the rogue or fighter, etc, etc. The ability to do all this while invisible is what really separates the chainlock familiar from a tomelock familiar. A tomelock familiar that attempted this sort of stuff would get shot down in most combat encounters. But your imp is running around invisible doing this, significantly decreasing the risk.
>>
>>53681453
"I rolled 8 Int as I'm not an Intelligence caster, the devil offered me some good stuff and now I have to carry this curse with me."

There, a possible Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic Good/Neutral Fiendlock character.
>>
>new to tabletop
>dm tells me to roll for stats
>roll shit stats
>"you think rolling for stats is unbalanced? well life is unbalanced!"
>well ok
>dm refuses to tell us what the campaign is about because "a realistic world isn't tailor made for the players"
>make a straightforward wood elf ranger
>favored enemies are beasts because I wanna be a traditional hunter type of character
>first session
>everyone in the region hates wood elves
>urban adventure, no beasts for 10 sessions
>get tired of this bullshit and kill my character off
>new character has decent stats and fits the campaign
>but he's level 1 in a level 6 party
how's your game going, boys?
>>
>>53679883
Yes there is. Is called a Refluffed Lizard Folk
>>
>>53681459
Knight is my waifu.
>>
>>53681523
The Brown Elf is S-tier, imo.
>>
>>53681459
Got any more?
>>
>>53681639
Not until my Wild West and Curse of Strahd games start up.
>>
>>53680247
DAYLIGHT

(or the cantrip Light, I guess)
>>
>>53681623
Would you believe me if I said I didn't even notice her? But yes you're right.
>>
>>53681453
A charismatic swashbuckler got into a deal with a devil for something minor, fully expecting to be able to weasel his way out of the contract. Turns out he is not as smart as he thought, and he now has to work for his (apparently reasonable) devil patron while looking for a way out of the deal, or at the very least to make a small fortune out of it.
>>
>>53681374
Well, then it should be fine as long as you don't put it up on Reddit or the Homebrewery.
There's always 5etools, but some people here would appreciate it, at least.
>>
How do we make Chains of Carceri good? right now it's either incredible, or shit, depending on the types of enemies your DM throws at you.
>>
>>53681707
Tell your DM you'd love to play a campaign similar to Diablo 3, or you'd like to explorer the Elemental Chaos.
>>
>>53681611
I imagine this is what you're expecting to hear, but your GM is retarded
Make him stop being a faggot or leave
No game is better than bad game
>>
>>53681740
That doesn't fix the problem though. Thinking about it, it's sort of like favored enemy in how bad of a design it is.
>>
>>53681463
You got fucking humiliated in that argument, sunshine.
>>
>>53681611
>how's your game going, boys?
my game is happening about once a month now, for only about 4 hours. So it's going a hell of a lot better than yours.
>>
>>53681707
Ask you DM, "Hey Bill, will we be fighting many (insert creatures)? I don't want to take a class option and have it be useless, you know?".

It's an option, if you're not fighting them you don't have to take it.
>>
>>53681453
Wolf Ram & Hart has gotten it's mittens on your soul. It wasn't any of your doing, you had it safely tied in esgro until they somehow bought out your debt.
But not everything is bad. Turns out Devils are practical bosses who know that a disgruntled employee is a highly unproductive one, and they have goals and intentions long term farm more relevant than doing something as pedantic as torturing your soul. They rather you went around and simply took out their rivals, potential rivals, ex roommates who didn't pay rent and just all around nasty demons from the abyss who just keep making a mess out of hell.
>>
File: 1493647166121.jpg (128KB, 500x548px) Image search: [Google]
1493647166121.jpg
128KB, 500x548px
>>53681382
>>
>>53681611
Planning multiple paths towards a few goals in hopes I'm not railroading anything.
>>
>>53681770
That doesn't fix the problem though. A feature shouldn't be either amazing or shit depending on the grace of your DM.
>>
>literally nobody owns a PHB, much less has read one
>phones
>turning up purely because they don't want to be left out of a social event
>6 players

no idea why I'm still DMing, aside from social pressure.
>>
>>53681799

meant for

>>53681611

goddamn I'm tired
>>
>>53681777
Go to /r/dnd, printscreen, add a "Posting your art so everyone can see it"
>>
>>53681503
Holy shit, that's yours? I love the smoke-like consistency around the contours. Is that cluster of yellow orbs on the first shadow a bunch of eyes?

>>53681382
I drew my own character on MSPaint. Talentless hack, so 200 hours, etc.
Our DM gave me a free feat for it. The feat was Skilled.
>>
>>53681794
Except lots of features are. Hold Person's either the best 2nd level spell or complete shit for example.

Look at other invocations. Book of Shadows is really shit unless your DM gives out ritual scrolls, at-will Jump doesn't help in flat areas and reading all languages is worthless unless they come up.

Chains of Carceri is a for sure pick though, because it ranges from decent to amazing. Celestials, fiends and elementals are all pretty common at that level.
>>
>>53681883
Yeah its meant to be a squid thing attempting to mimic a human form.
>>
>>53681675
Nah just gonna drop it in 5eg for a couple threads maybe Da Archive and keep it for my own use
>>
>>53681756
Remove the limitation on the type of creature at it becomes a must-have.
>>
>>53681892
You're seriously exaggerating some of these features. Campaigns don't take place in flat featureless planes, and you will get some use out of jump at will (though why you would take it instead of levitation at will is another balance issue). Book of shadows is fine on its own, and really strong. The extra potential rituals are just gravy. Humanoids are the most common type of enemy and character, so Hold Person will get some use.

Chains of Carceri is either shit or incredible. I've ran high level campaigns where the primary enemies were not in included in the 3 types. Luckily the warlock didn't take it.

>>53681987
Yeah, it would probably be the best invocation in the book without that limitation, and far beyond an acceptable power level for most campaigns.
>>
>>53681060
>how do you feel about taxes sir...hammer?
>I hate it when rich assholes steal from a simple man at arms trying to make a living.
>well what about proper- *hack* -AAAAAAAH!
>not that this wasn't fun, but I'll be taking all of your jewels, gold, and the silverware now. Anyone sounds the gaurds my pelt wearing friend starts swinging.
>>
>>53681759
That's the first time I take part in the shield conversation (if you'd even call it that).

I know it's hard to think that more than one person could disagree with your clearly well thought-out argument of "you have a shield therefore you block with it no matter what, but I promise that it's totally possible.
>>
>>53681611
You should be lvl 5. lvl 4 at the lowest.
>>
Does a bugbear with a lance hit you from 15 feet away
>>
>>53681940
Yeah, noticed the squid tentacle-like... tentacle... things. Do you have any more, per chance?
>>
>>53681260
Sorry im really sick, what is this?
>>
>>53681327
Meh
>>
>>53681611
Let other two party members die and watch as the entire adventure goes to shit because your DM is retarded.

>>53682016
It could be at least good if it you learn hold monster with it, so you'd have an use out of the specific trigger. It's either 100% good or bad.
>>
>>53682097
Yes. he can also hit you from 20 feet away if he uses the Lunge maneuver from battlemaster
>>
>>53681327
runescar should stay dead along with all the other dumb shit fro-
>>
>>53677822
>giving Warlock the ability to take either Charisma or Intelligence as a spellcasting modifier (explained why in the Spellcasting Ability section)
Okay, this, I like. But not just as a warlock thing. Any suggestions?
>>
So I'm new to Homebrewry, so how the fuck do i find people's stuff?
>>
File: tree knight.png (554KB, 928x752px) Image search: [Google]
tree knight.png
554KB, 928x752px
>>53682104
Only other thing I have on my phone is this early sketch of a Firbolg tree knight.
>>
>>53682140
top kek
>>
>>53682182
I don't see why not. Most of the ones that already have Wisdom are less likely to switch to the alternate stat unless the opportunity for flavour is too high. Likewise, most who have Wisdom as the alternate will most likely switch.
>>
>>53682202
Something something covering up the tumblrnose

I'm not actually buttblasted about the art but it's too funny a meme to not being it up
>>
>>53681382
Never bothered for an actual character, but I've spend several hundred dollars in commissions of the races in my setting so that players know what they look like.
>>
>>53682182
Why not use whatever the other saving throw they get happens to be? The exceptions would be where the casting stat isn't already a saving throw, in which case you let them key off the "weak" throw, so strong-man Rangers casting with the power of muscle
>>
>>53682224
Most people at my table would jump ship from Wisdom to Charisma or Intelligence in a heartbeat.
>>
>>53681382
My DM drew out the party after our last campaign, each of the four primary characters he went with the most impactful on the campaign, rather than survivors got drawn.

Turns out he saw my cleric as Hank Hill, proselytizing the purity of Helm, and Helm selling Helm accessories.
>>
>>53682305
>Jump from a strong save to a weak save casting stat
Wisdom is a much stronger stat than int or cha.
>>
>>53682289
Bards casting off of Dexterity just feels weird.
>>
>>53682341
Why? Dexterity is absolutely a musical requirement for a number of instruments, or dancing. They would channel their magic through movement, instead of vocally.
>>
>>53682337
>caring about that
Character concepts tend to be more important to us than math.
>>
>>53682131
That's a good idea, thanks.
>>
>>53682361
So why is that bad?
If you are willing to take a mechanical deficit for flavor, then the proposed change isn't really a negative.
>>
>>53682202
Never thought Firbolgs would be ones for wearing helmet look-alikes. Is that a mask, or is the ''tree'' part literal?
Either way, that's pretty fuckin' rad; please post the full thing if it ever gets finished!

>>53682224
Think anyone'd switch from their normal spellcasting stat to Intelligence, assuming it only works for spellcasting and not other features? That'd be kind of dicey, with how bad INT is for most classes and how goddamn good WIS is.

>>53682289
Battlemaster gets STR-based saves for instance, but it's not magic. Casting literal magic through the power of ''muscles'' (as opposed to commitment to some deity of fitness, for instance) sounds dumb, anyway.
>>
>>53682202
>>53682255
And if it wasn't clear I think your art is dope. Do you take commissions?
>>
>>53677473
Hey /5eg, my GM is a bit odd. He can't describe very well, has a poor understanding of the rules and always make a huge deal out of rolling a 20. Which is literally 1/20 chance. Also, his fights are fucking boring as fuck. He's a big fan of Critical Role (of which I have no understanding) Should I:

a) Kill his DMPC
b) start a violent confrontation that creates a TPK?
c) Tell him that he's not very good
d) Run a onesie adventure for the group
e) Sit there in silence
f) kill my character off and leave
>>
>>53682389
I don't see any inherent issue with the Eldritch Knight channeling their magic through their martial training/commitment. I memed about muscle casting, but strength takes training and effort, just like any other stat, to maintain at a high level. EKs doing so as part of their training of the body, and infusing their body with the magic of the world, hardly is a flavor break. Especially when most of the spells they take are defensive or self buffs.
>>
>>53682419
I'm currently sitting on e, with a dash of c. It's not working, but i also don't want to punish our other DM by killing this campaign, the first he gets to play in.

It's still fun, but its fun in spite of the DM, not because of them.
>>
>>53682357
Because you need the mental stat aspect in order to have the cognition and/or creativity to produce such song and dance in the first place. Being quick with your fingers or legs doesn't automatically make a good bard; plenty of athletes aren't natural dancers, after all.

Saying Dexterity is all you need for performing is like saying Strength is all you need for sculpting. Try recklessly beating a stone with a hammer and see if you make a masterpiece.
>>
>>53682444
The training they receive is what turns them into a bard. Normal dancers can't cast magic any more than a normal librarian, it takes effort and training. The flavor is no different, and it seems to me that you have a slight bias towards physical stats meaning natural and mental being effort based, which isn't fair or true at all.
>>
>>53682440
That's true. No point in ruin it for everyone I guess.
>>
>>53682357
Bards aren't necessarily singers, music is still sound, and you can't cast spells with verbal components nonvocally.
More importantly, how would you justify playing the lute real good as a catalyst for magical effects in most settings?

>>53682426
But EK casts through INT since they learn Wizard spells, or am I missing something? This ''infusing their body with the magic of the world'' (which admittedly, sounds pretty cool) still keys off their hard study and memorization, like Wizards.
People on this thread mentioned blood magic based on Constitution (so, magic fueled through life force), and that makes a tad more sense to me
>>
What stat block works best for a midrange assassin type enemy?

assassin is way too strong rn
>>
File: IMG-20170602-WA0000.jpg (136KB, 1280x1132px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170602-WA0000.jpg
136KB, 1280x1132px
>>53681382
I usually ask one of my players to do all the drawing. Not for my characters, but for the party.
>>
>>53682388
When did I say it was bad?
>>
File: 1496029630890.png (158KB, 417x405px) Image search: [Google]
1496029630890.png
158KB, 417x405px
>>53677473
Cleric because it's the only class I've played that that didn't eventually make me want to kill off my own character.
>>
>>53682476
Not him, but surely it just makes sense that magic would require one of the mental stats

Otherwise you'd get great weapon and magic abilities on just one stat (especially dex of all things), without having to jump through hoops like other classes
>>
>>53682508
I didn't mean they could cast silently, i just meant flavor wise. The intricacies of bardic magic are in the flow, which can be represented by Dex quite well. I actually think it makes more sense than the vague self empowerment shtick of Cha Bard casting.

As for EKs, yes that's how it currently works, i'm just presenting how you could flavor magic to fit the saving throw proficiency of various classes
>>
>>53682565
It creates a mechanical issue, I'll admit, specifically because Dex is already far too good. Flavor wise i don't see how it's any better or worse than Cha casting for a bard, they don't even use the super conviction flavor of the Paladin.
>>
>>53677647
You'll never actually get to use it lol.
>>
>>53682389
>Think anyone'd switch from their normal spellcasting stat to Intelligence, assuming it only works for spellcasting and not other features?

I think that you have to make everything run off the stat, class features included, otherwise it's basically gimping the character for no reason. For example, I have a player running a Wild Magic Sorc (I know) and I basically switched everything to key off of INT. I kinda recommended against it but she's having fun twin-hasting the martials so whatever.
>>
Is Medium Armour Training worth it on a DEX Fey Bladelock who doesn't want to multiclass?
>>
File: Ganondorf_(Hyrule_Warriors).png (216KB, 321x499px) Image search: [Google]
Ganondorf_(Hyrule_Warriors).png
216KB, 321x499px
>>53682255
I don't really mind the goofy nose, my biggest issue with them is that they have giant (proportionally) heads, I think they should be built more like Ganondorf/Gerudo than "Dorfs but 8 feet tall".

>>53682389
Yeah it's meant to be wood Plate fused with his body, with the beefy arm and one leg being prosthetic magic-wood.

>>53682401
Ive considered it for a while but never actually looked into setting it up. I don't even have my shit hosted anywhere online, though I have seen it posted in /tg/ art threads occasionally.
>>
>>53681615
>refluff
why do people say this meme
>>
>>53682644
No, you'll have the same bonus to AC with Studded Leather and 20 Dex that a Half Plate would give you, but 705 GP cheaper.
>>
>>53682679
>needing special snowflake stats for every possible situation
Existing stats, generally, fit within the games built in rules and math, and can be applied to other creatures/situations/classes/concepts without breaking anything at a fundamental level. The had part is done, so flavor it to your liking. That doesn't mean you can't change one specific feature slightly, or make X, Y, but its far easier to alter than create.

Homebrew is ass.
>>
>>53682720
>Homebrew is ass.
subjective opinion

refluffing is lazy
>>
>>53682763
Try and reinvent the wheel, i'll just give it spokes.
>>
>>53682160
?

Why stop at the name?
>>
>>53681503
Anon... I... love your art...
>>
>>53682886
Here you go kiddies
>>
>>53681060
Even in your regular kind of game you need someone not autistic to be the party face, your group was fucked from the start.
>>
>>53682658
I'd really consider it. You've got good stuff, just from what you have available to you. I'm not saying make it a full time thing, but maybe just a part time gig that lets you do things you'd otherwise do for free, with the added benefit of more experience.
>>
>>53682960
I'll probably look into it after work, worst case I just get some art practice in.
>>
>>53682419
>>53682440
Run it yourself
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.