[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 32

File: 1473909458377.jpg (595KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1473909458377.jpg
595KB, 1024x682px
Last thread
>>52694931
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

It's too late for thought provoking questions. What's the biggest expense in your gaming budget, and what's the biggest outside of the actual games? Do you go overboard on sleeves? Metal coins? Custom dice? Laminate your own score sheets? Get player aids printed out?
>>
File: jeremiah-johnson-nod.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
jeremiah-johnson-nod.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>52765104
i sleeve eveything just got battleline
>>
>>52765104
I sleeve and laminate.

Fuck the police.
>>
>>52765104
I only recently got into the hobby and am a bit afraid of damaging cards which my miserable shuffling so I plan on sleeving but I've never done that either.
>>
File: 1489997651552.gif (298KB, 379x329px) Image search: [Google]
1489997651552.gif
298KB, 379x329px
>>52766093
sleeving will make it harder to shuffle
>>
>>52766103
Still better than fucking up my cards I feel. I don't plan on sleeving everything but stuff that gets shuffled regularly (thinking Pandemic here) I'd like to not damage.
>>
>>52765104
Just bought myself a pack of 3000 sleeves.
I let too many games build up and this turned from a year's worth of sleeves into like 2/3 of what I need.
Getting heavy into deck building is rough.
>>
>>52765104

It's almost always the sleeves. I don't trust everyone who plays to have some form of etiquette of not handling cards with greasy hands after eating a pizza or someshit and they get offended if you ask them to go wash their hands. I fucking wash my hands when I play with someone elses games and cards, why is the courtesy never returned back to me?
>>
File: 1445775114248.jpg (38KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1445775114248.jpg
38KB, 960x639px
>>52765104
For a while it was the scythe collectors edition, sleeved with foamcore insert and the expansion coming in roughly at $155

But the arkham horror LCG had taken the cake. God damn this game is good. With 2 cores, all expansions, sleeves, capsules for the tokens, stand up dice bag, card binder and a foam core storage solution im sitting at $235 and will continue to spend an additional $15 a month until the ffjews release me. Just when I thought I was going to stop sending money on games
>>
File: PDW8pq3.jpg (160KB, 1844x1210px) Image search: [Google]
PDW8pq3.jpg
160KB, 1844x1210px
>>52766103
Lies. Quality sleeves make it FAR easier (sans riffle, which is heresy) to shuffle if you have proper technique
>>
Has anyone played Troyes or Dominant Speices?

What did/do you like about it?
What euros do you like the most?

I'm looking for a heavy euro with bulk interaction.
>>
>>52766709
Not sure I'd call DS a "euro."
>>
>>52766709
>Dominant Speices?
Yes.

>What did/do you like about it?
That there's ample opportunity to directly screw over other players, whether it be through killing off their pieces, removing other players' food sources, events, etc., but you have to plan pretty carefully, as you'll generally have quite few workers to place relative to what you want to get done.

>What euros do you like the most?
Dominant Species and Le Havre, though the latter is pretty low interaction.

>>52766774
>Not sure I'd call DS a "euro."
What would you call it? It doesn't really fit into the ameri-trash or wargame genres imo.
>>
>>52766814
>What would you call it? It doesn't really fit into the ameri-trash or wargame genres imo.
Strategic? Eurogames tend to be far more indirect in their interaction. I'd say if there's a common board and more than one player can occupy a node at one time it's not euro.
>>
>>52766829
Makes sense. I just realized whenever I categorize games nowadays it's always euro/ameritrash/wargame/abstract, didn't even think of strategic as its own separate category
>>
>>52766557
Can you teach a newfag how to shuffle sleeves cards?
>>
>>52767263

Separate them into two piles, grab both piles in hand and slowly push them together sideways again. Don't force it, just let the smoothness of the sleeves dictate the course of where they want to slide back in.
>>
>>52766829
>Eurogames tend to be far more indirect in their interaction.
No, you dumbass. Eurogames typically have negative-sum conflict, which is not the same as 'low interaction'.

The games with 'low interaction' are the coops and the dice-chuckers, two mechanics very rare in eurogames.

> I'd say if there's a common board and more than one player can occupy a node at one time it's not euro.
So worker placement games aren't eurogames? Yeah, you're a dumbass.
>>
>>52767458
Do worker placement eurogames not normally forbid multiple people to occupy the same node, like agricola?
>>
>>52767484
most of the time, yes
>>
>>52767484
Sorry, I read your comment wrong.

Still, seems like a ridiculous distinction -- most euro games don't have 'players' or 'nodes' at all.
>>
>>52767700
>most euro games don't have 'players'
Eurogames btfo
>>
>>52765104
It would either be sleeves or inserts.

I only sleeve my most used Deckbuilders like Thunderstone and Core Worlds.

I make inserts for a number of my games out of foamcore. Including, again, Thunderstone, Core Worlds, and I just got finished with my Millennium Blades insert where the box that stores the store deck converts into a card tower. Probably will redo that part eventually though.
>>
Anyone excited for the Legend of the 5 Rings preview tommorow?
>>
>>52768826
Wait what?
>>
>>52765104
I just moved to a new city, how do I go about finding people to play with?
>>
>>52768870
AEG sold off the brand to FFG/ANA, they were letting it sit a year before deciding how to go forth.

>>52768826
Wasn't aware it was tomorrow but I'm intrigued to see what they do, LCG seems like a no-brainer.
>>
>>52765104
>Biggest expense
Games, almost certainly.
>Outside of games
All of the above.
I don't sleeve every game, just the high wear stuff or stuff I know will be difficult to replace.
Have a load of metal coins and more in the mail.
A few sets of custom dice.
Only have laminated sheets and aids for TI3: SA so far.
>>
>>52768463
>where the box that stores the store deck converts into a card tower
Pic?
>>
>>52769146
I'm at work, but I'll post a picture when I get home.
>>
>>52768882
Not a full announcement just start of the previews but it should at least finally give us some insight into any changes they've made.
>>
>>52768874
Anon, you have a multiple options. :)

1. Check to see if there are any local 'Meet up' groups for board gaming in the area.

2. Check for friendly local gaming stores and see if they have a 'board game' night.

My closest FLGS is 30 minutes away, but has a game night, and there are a couple of meet up groups in the area too. And I'm not living near a large city by any stretch of the imagination. So odds are good you might find a group. If you're near a college, your odds increase.
>>
>>52765104

>biggest expense as far as games go :
Shadows of Brimstone is a freaking money sink.

>Outside games :
I sleeve everything. Occasionally print out player aids. I'm considering buying one of dem fancy laser cut wood inserts one day.
>>
>>52770320
>Shadow of Brimstone
My niggah! That fucking game is amazing. I'm sitting on both base and Cinders right now as I'm currently poor but fuck do I want it all. Have you tried the Hex Crawl from BGG?
>>
>>52765104
>What's the biggest expense in your gaming budget, and what's the biggest outside of the actual games?
KDM, I pledged $450
Outside? PC Gaming, just made a gaming rig around $1.5k

>Do you go overboard on sleeves? Metal coins? Custom dice? Laminate your own score sheets? Get player aids printed out?
None of the above, just sleeved Star Realms and that's about it.

So this past weekend we played a shit ton of games

>No Thanks
Simple and quick game, had fun with it. It is a beer and pretzels games.

>Bloody Inn
This was a huge surprise to me, at first when my friend was setting up it didn't appeal to me, I thought it was going to be boring or just something with not so good mechanics, but holy shit I liked it a lot. The only bad thing about it is that it takes a little bit longer to teach. But the art and everything reminded me of Darkest Dungeon.

>Formula D
Oh man, I really really like the theme, the components, the board is huge, the gearbox everything I liked it, but the gameplay, oh man, it is just a shallow roll and move game, so much potential, I'm sad that the game is as flat as it goes.
>>
>>52771076
>Champions of Midgard
Unfortunately my wife and I loved this game, it is a MUCH better Lords of Waterdeep, the dice adds a lot of fun to the game. And I say unfortunately because the KS ended like two weeks ago.

>Chicago Express
Me and my wife love this game, but it seems that my group didn't like it as much as we do. It can get visceral.

>Hanabi
This game is so simple but so fucking frustrating. Loved it.
>>
>>52771000

Nah, the game is already a sprawling mess as it is, I'm not sure I want to add another layer on it. Seems like overkill when there's already so much stuff.
>>
>>52770191
Thanks m8. I actualyl just recently graduated, so it feels wierd that there's not just clubs I can join at the drop of a hat.
>>
>What's the biggest expense in your gaming budget
Ghostbusters - I backed it at the base level, which was still about £90. I considered getting the version with more bells and whistles, but a cool box with glow-in-the-dark figures and dice, as well as a Super-Hard Mode that I wouldn't even want to play, just didn't justify adding another £60 or whatever it was.
>what's the biggest outside of the actual games?
Uhhh... I bought penny sleeves on eBay, instead of getting them at a store/con like a sensible human being, does that count?

Now I've got a question: I finally caved and got a tablet, so which digital board games do I get? I've already got Ticket to Ride in mind, maybe Galaxy Trucker, but is there anything else?
>>
File: QMG.jpg (643KB, 1503x1503px) Image search: [Google]
QMG.jpg
643KB, 1503x1503px
Hello /bgg/, want some more contraband?

Here's a Vassal module for Quartermaster General. Long ago it was available on Vassal site, but was taken down after publisher's request. There are Tabletop Simulator modules available for it though.

I made some minor adjustment to the module (e.g. fixing Japanese cards, which were showing Italian flags), but it was playable without my help, so credits to the original creator.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5pplsezylybjeuw/QuarterMaster-General_V1-0.vmod

And here's Barbarossa Campaign module that I posted in the previous thread. Check it out if you like solo games.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2owt4trdlaqazue/The_Barbarossa_Campaign

Anyway, are there any guys in here still using Vassal or did everybody switch to Tabletop Simulator?
>>
>>52772754
Definitely get Galaxy Trucker (without question the best tablet/phone game out there), TtR is fun, Splendor is good, Pandemic is nice production values, Star Realms has a campaign mode and challenges that go with it. Elder Sign is so good they started porting the DLC bosses back to the physical game as expansions. Skip Alhambra the controls aren't great. Hey That's My Fish is good for an abstract, and rewards you for winning with new tile layouts to challenge. Ingenious is good too, sometimes you can even get it for free (on Amazon tablets for sure, but I've seen promos in the android store too). There's more if you're on IOS but I can't help you there since I'm not on that system.
>>
>>52772754
Hearthstone
>>
>>52772754
Neuroshima Hex is a good pickup.

Constantinople if you like solo games and the theme.

Colt Express is a good board game, but I don't know if the app implementation is.

Twilight Struggle.
>>
>>52770191
>if you're near a college, your odds increase
My college must be the exception to this
>>
Recon expansion for arctic scavengers is a whopping four bucks on CSI right now.
>>
>>52772811
Thanks for the links! I use it once in a while. I actually had someone that was playing me from China / Hong Kong (Hope you did well in your tournament) with the mod for Carcassonne, but I haven't heard from them in a while.
>>
>>52773405
That's what you get for going to (insert school name here)! You are now obligated to start a gaming club on campus. Good luck, and God Speed! Anon.
>>
>>52774933
Nice; not sure I like their constant sale mentality, but if you used the pickup/wait/ship at $100 and got 1-2 games over the course of 4-5 sales it'd even out I guess.
>>
anyone have any recommendations on good poker chips without denominations? don't have a particularly strict budget though preferably without horrible shipping to 'Straya or a real preference towards ceramic or clay but I'm looking to pick up a set of 300 that has a mix of five colours with 75/75/50/50/50 chips for each colour or a set of 200 with 50/50/50/25/25

a nice compact poker chip box for traveling would be neat as well

>>52765104
>biggest expense
very much the games, since I usually go for OOP or indie games which generally have low production runs

>outside of games
sleeves, I need to laminate the player boards for Argent but I can't think of anything else that desperately needs laminating, might be worth varnishing some chits but I need to do further research into that

>overboard on sleeves
I do have about 2000 unused sleeves at the moment, though I should get around to picking up some bulk KMC Hyper Mattes at some point and offload Ultra Pros I'm using for Nightfall and Thunderstone onto my friend who runs a LGS so he can resell them cheap

>player aids
I have a whole bunch of quick references and rewritten rulebooks for some of my more complex games printed out, but they're just on shitty paper stock and I don't particularly care about keeping those neat
>>
>>52776171
>anyone have any recommendations on good poker chips without denominations?
When I played poker a lot I had a decent set of DaVinci chips; you can get em on amazon, in sets of 50, any color you can imagine. Gave em to the brother one year with a cheap wood carousel for his b-day. Nothing overly special, just 11.5 gram clay, but they got the job done and felt good.
bonus they've got images of dice on them
>>
File: chamberlain_kark.png (611KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
chamberlain_kark.png
611KB, 500x700px
>>52764393
>>52764508
Just this.

He's hella fucked tho dude.

But at least the rest of the entire game is fine.

Kark is from Uprising.
>>
File: Millennium Blades Insert.jpg (723KB, 889x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Millennium Blades Insert.jpg
723KB, 889x2000px
Someone asked earlier about my Millennium Blades insert. I made this without the intent to use sleeves but it should be just fine with sleeves though the store deck container would have to be considerably taller.

So in the first pic, the left two rows stay in the box and are for unused cards, notecard separated into sets and organized by card type (probably put hard dividers in between expansion/premium/master/promos) Top right box is store deck. Bottom right box is arena cards, score sheet (sides trimmed to fit in box) and all counters. On the right you can see the money as well as the slats that are the store deck stand. The storage rows don't have a bottom as they're meant to stay in the box. The token box has a foamcore bottom, and the store deck box has a posterboard bottom. All parts were hotglued together.

Second image shows the store deck and the parts for the stand. The store deck has a removable end so people can draw off the top.

Third image is the stand assembled and the top removed from the store deck box.

Fourth image is it all together. It's pretty sturdy. Should stand up to play. Takes a pretty good push to dislodge or tip the store deck.
>>
>>52777054
That's pretty awesome. If I ever buy that game I'm gonna need to get instructions on how to make that myself
>>
>>52777054
I just ordered MB and set rotation. What the fuck am I in for? I passed up new DOOM and Armada for this, is it worth it?
>>
>>52778255
I'll try to put up some dimensions soon.

>>52779433
My group has all been into trading card games at some point in our lives, so this is a fun way to re-live that in an evening. Plus has a nice mix of real time elements and taking turns and planning.

You'll have to tell me if it's worth it for you, but it was very worth it for me.
>>
>>52780377
We've been into competitive card games for a very long time and eventually got out of it after over a decade of play, mostly due to the exploitative business model and somewhat due to the archaic reliance on chance mechanics.

In any case, this seemed like a fun piss-take at it.
>>
>>52779433
Doom I hear is really fast to get into and fun to get into but I've also heard a lot of concerns about it's longevity and how much actual strategy there is and decisions you make. Armada is one of my favorite miniatures games being a system that actually makes big ships feel big and powerful, but you have to treat it like a miniatures game and intend to get more than a core box. For the value of the games, MB was probably your best bet there.
>>
>>52780721
Millennium Blades has an INCREDIBLE level of replayability.

The base game comes with 11 'Expansion' sets, 9 'Premium' sets, and 8 'Master' sets. During game play you shuffle the generic 'Core' cards with 5 Expansion, 4 Premium, and 3 Master sets. So there's TONS of strongly unique combinations. Then the Set Rotation expansion add 5 more Expansion sets, 4 more Premium sets, and 3 more Master sets.

This combined with the metric fuck ton of different Promo (sideline cards, not like actually promotional material) sets in both the base, Set Rotation, and the mini expacks gives you a veritable mountain of content.

Oh, and you'll only really make it halfway through the store deck in a game. You'll probably still be seeing new cards on your third play or so of the same combination.

Only thing that might set people of is just how maymay some of the content is. Like there's a card that's named 'Shiroken' which is obviously Kenshiro, 'Bryce Long', and 'Chuckules' (yes even a Chuck Norris joke). And in a
musician themed set there's the likes of 'John Lemon' 'Fred Hermes' and 'El Vice'.

But I'd say they handle it as well as one can as just being silly instead of trying to be all 'HEY DID YOU SEE? WE MAKE FANNY JOKE'.
>>
>>52781032
Having lots of cards doesn't make it replayable. Quite the opposite, all it does is increase the chance of having game-breaking balance issues.

The most replayable games in the world also happen to be the abstract and minimalist ones, and this is no accident.
>>
>>52780721
Thanks for the mini-review. I'm avoiding DOOM just because I played the original Doom board game, have Descent with the two big expansions, and have played Imperial Assault. Shamelessly re-using the overlord system AGAIN is such dogshit and I hate it.

As for Armada, I'm super worried about the level of dedication I would give a game that might not have the mechanical chops to live up to it. Yes, there's an $80 core but then I would also want a 6'x3' space mat for comfortable gaming. And then there's the possibility we get bored of it and drown money trying to make up that boredom.

>>52781032
Nah the epic maymays aren't a real problem. I did get horribly triggered that THREE reviewers didn't get the joke for "TahnananaH" and just pronounced it like banana.
>>
>>52781487
I can say Armada holds up in depth, at least a lot better than X-Wing in my opinion. It does take devotion though with it's long play time and rather complicated builds. You can't just make a tie swarm and call it a day. I'm lucky to have an active community that meets on tuesdays.
>>
>>52782611
Shallow bullshit would've turned me off anyway so this only makes me want to try it on TTS more.
>>
What are the pros and cons among arkham horror, eldritch horror, and mansions of madness?
>>
>>52783211
Arkham
>Pros: Thematic, LOTS of expansion, lots of parts, like holy shit you can fill two table, lots of Characters, Winning feels like an actual achievement, Co-op (single playable), huge replayability
>Cons; LOTS of expansion, clunky rules, very hard borderline unfair, outdated, can either be extremely short (and dead) or take FOREVER

Mansion of Madness
>Pros; Thematic, 1 v Rest, storybased missions very engaging, eh replayability, expansions add whole new stories, relatively new
>Cons; 1 v Rest (no solo), Almost exclusively become bad guy all the times, one and done as most stories change slightly depending on choices (and if you know all of them, being a player becomes unexciting)
>>
>>52783256
solo and full co-op are available for Mansions of Madness 2nd edition due to the app handling the overlord position.
>>
A lot of my group are chronic phone users.
What are some games with either simultaneous turns or a lot of interaction off your turn I can use to mitigate this?
>>
File: 1400842915408.jpg (645KB, 1280x1478px) Image search: [Google]
1400842915408.jpg
645KB, 1280x1478px
>>52783211
1-2 players
Arkham LCG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eldritch>>>arkham horror>>MoM

3-4 players
MoM>>>arkham lcg=eldritch>AH

5+
Eldritch=MoM>AH

There are some AH purists out there, but its been made completely obsolete by the lcg. LCG is the best Arkham files experience by far in my opinion
>>
>>52784075
Cosmic Encounter fits the bill 100%. It's all interaction.

Millennium Blades, Captain Sonar and Galaxy Trucker are all played in real time so you can't really check your phone.

Maybe Shogun and Game of Thrones because they have simultaneous planning phases?
>>
>>52784075
7 Wonders has simultaneous turns with near zero down time (short of one player having analysis paralysis).
>>
>>52765104
>Biggest expense
I bought into Rising Sun and Rise of Moloch. That was quite a bite into my funds

>Outside gaming
I don't sleeve my cards or bling out my games, though I've been thinking about sleeves forever, because my copy of 7 Wonders has suffered a bit.

Guys, I played Red7 this weekend. Wow, that is a fucking good little card game.

>>52784075
The others already gave you some good pointers. I'd check out Cosmic over aGoT if they have a lower attention span or if you don't want to sit around a table for 4 hours with people who always go for their phones the secons they're not engaged.
>>
File: 1492445012482.jpg (2MB, 2662x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1492445012482.jpg
2MB, 2662x4000px
anybody played lost in r'lyeh?

how is it with 3 players?
>>
>>52785936
Can't remember I got lost
>>
>>52781032
My main issue with the game is how the game loses all momentum once tournament phase hits. It's just really boring, mostly due to the way the game and cards themselves are designed.
>>
>>52772754
Be aware that all maps and add-ons after The US are in-game purchases in TtR, with no rebates in sight.

Got my copy of TtR cheap in a Humble Bundle, but it feels like I got only 1/5th of the game.
>>
Why do people seem to enjoy elder sign so much? I tried the digital version at it just doesn't seem that interesting. What am I missing?
>>
>>52781256
I highly disagree about more cards not making it more replayable. Level 99 did a good job in their design of each set. What I mean is that having lived with trading card games, each set or cards follows a certain theme of mechanics much like a release set of card in Magic or Pokemon.

Having played in Magic tournaments for years helps you see the subtle difference between the sets and makes each block feel like a different game.

I feel very much 'at home' in terms of making the sets work together and combo off of each other.

>>52786184
Yeah the switch from real time to turn based is a bit jarring, but no more so than any other real-time/resolution game like X-COM or Space Alert. So that isn't an issue for me.

Plus my group pretty much always has all formed their strategies and play orders by the time it's the tournament phase so that moves along pretty smoothly.
>>
>>52787124
> Having played in Magic tournaments for years helps you see the subtle difference between the sets and makes each block feel like a different game.
That's a gimmick for the ADD addled, not true replayability.
>>
>>52787124
>each block feels like a different game
Most blocks consists of reused cards with new artwork. I'm (very slowly) working on a complete set of the Invasion block and it's clear that many cards have just been put in there because they needed a certain number of cards.
>>
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

Thoughts? Looking pretty fun. They say it's for two players but the way alot of the description is worded feels like it could support more with very little chabge to the system
>>
>>52787709
My thoughts are I have no interest because it's A) ANOTHER living card game B) FFG so they're gonna be putting out massive amounts of stuff that you have no way of realistically keeping up with C) I don't buy Asmodee/FFG product anymore due to them treating their customers like walking wallets who should be pleased for the privilege of being pillaged by their corporate overlords.
>>
>>52787709
I like what I'mreading, especially fond of honor as a blind bid for draw. But I'm already up to my neck in netrunner, and I probably won't get into another LCG, especially upfront saying 3 cores for a full playset.
>>
>>52786108
> Zero Sanity Points remaining...

Welp, we know who didn't win that game. :)
>>
>>52787800
I mean, it's up to you how far you delve into it. You know you don't have to submit to assmodee right?

>>52787847
I think it'll depend wether the missing cards are like in netrunner, the good cards. If they are I'll be annoyed but I haven't delved into any LCG so far so I might hop on this one (Especially if it's not hard to retool it into a 4 player game)
>>
I budget is too low mate
>>
>>52787709
I'd only get into it if a scene pops up here, otherwise I'm with STEEV; I'm already planning on stopping any more AHLCG purchases until I can get the Dunwich Legacy campaign played through multiple times, except for maybe getting the big boxes. I have a feeling it's going to go the way the of the Game of Thrones LCG and AHLCG, and have everything be singletons. There are weird symbols at the bottom right of some of the cards though, maybe it shows the number of copies of the card in the core set?
>>
>>52788244
Some of the cards have it and some don't so I'm not sure. There's a Q&A session on [REDDIT] sometime so I'm sure we'll have a big info dump when that happens.

For me it's between this or AHLCG at the moment. My problem with AHLCG really is that the scenarios (at least in the core set) are over way too quick all the time, especially once you know what you're doing. For example in the second scenario I wanted to explore Arkham but there's such a pressure on time (and the ghoul priest popped out of the deck) that it feels impossible to just scum around. It feels like I'm constantly making misplays all the time because the game feels stuck between being too wide to know what I should be doing but too narrow to experiment. Does Dunwich fix that feeling at all with it's scemarios?
>>
>>52766709
I haven't played Troyes, so can't comment there... but Dominant Species is a fantastic game. It's the my top 10 of my collection. Definitely worth getting.
It can run rather long, had a four player game go 3+ hours more than once. That alone may make it difficult to get to table as often as you'd like.
>>
>>52788244
>>52788422
Decent odds the pips on bottom right are for influence for out of faction inclusion, with unmarked cards being faction-locked or something.
>>
>>52771230
I love Brimstone, but it indeed takes up a ton of real estate. Really need some an app option for decks.
>>
>>52788461
Ah that makes sense actually
>>
>>52788078
>I mean, it's up to you how far you delve into it.
Sure. But an issue I've had with Netrunner is that if you are playing someone who has newer sets than you, they've got an advantage. Yes there's power creep, but not too much. What it is is that newer sets contain new mechanics, and ways to counter those mechanics that older sets lack.

So after a while it feels like a sort of prisoner's dilemma. If everyone has the new sets, that's fine, if no one has the new sets, that's also fine. But if someone falls behind or gets ahead, there's quite an imbalance in power.
>>
>>52788784
I mean, I don't really know what you expected. That's what happens with almost every expandable card game at a competetive level. It's a flaw yes but I think it tends to be worse in netrunner because the more you buy into it, the more your deck becomes this well oiled machine that can defeat the straight bluffing style gameplay that the core set offers. It's more of a failure in design unfortunetly
>>
>>52788422

I have not played the latest Dunwich scenario Blood on the Altar yet, but everything I've heard indicates that it might be the best yet. To be honest I really dislike the Night of the Zealot now that I've had a taste of the Dunwich Legacy. The Gathering is too straightforward, Devourer Below is too punishing, and Midnight Masks, while being the best of the core, definitely leaves you thinking constantly that you're failing- I've never tracked down all 6 cultists.

Which is, to be quite honest, the exact atmosphere that should be present in an Arkham Files game, but a greater variety of elation vs. anxiety would be better, and in my opinion Dunwich Legacy delivers more on that balance while providing more interesting gameplay and story-driven decision making.

To address the feeling of constantly making misplays, that will never go away I'm afraid as that's the very nature the game intended. Every once in a while the stars align, you discover a sweet combo that clears out the current threats, and you take a second to bask in the small victory before the game descends further into a shitstorm.
>>
File: 1492113734417.jpg (541KB, 1267x1521px) Image search: [Google]
1492113734417.jpg
541KB, 1267x1521px
Why are Lovecraft themed board games such shit? Too much of a normie magnet?
>>
File: 1433876714418.jpg (243KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1433876714418.jpg
243KB, 900x900px
How the fuck are you supposed to keep all those billions of pieces from the main game and all expansions of Descent organized?!
>>
Are LCGs more or less cancerous that TCGs?
>>
>>52789922
It's more like Hepatitis than Cancer.

Magic is a malignant and metastasizing cancer that slowly kills you while an LCG like Netrunner is like a mouth sore that will cause you some serious discomfort now and then, but it only comes in spurts really and can't do THAT much damage to you.
>>
>>52788899
Eh. I won't bother then. One of the things I hate is that at the end of the day everything comes down to your chaos bag pulls for skill tests, sure you can mitigate but even then you can just get fucked for no reason.

And while that's fun in an enclosed enviroment I don't think it really fits the idea of an expandable card game at all
>>
>>52789922
Bigger upfront cost but to stay relevant you dont need to pay as much, you also have access to more stuff.

It's a lesser of two evils, I've never seen anyone present a better solution so eh
>>
Any advice for strategy in Coup?
>>
>>52790533
Get information before you get money.
Money makes you a target.
>>
>>52788899
Blood on the Altar is great, but I think I still prefer The House Always Wins.

The POD expansion The Carnevale of Horrors is my favorite scenario in the game overall however.
>>
>>52767628
There are some games that limit but not forbid placement, for instance in Viticulture the firstplayer to take an action gets a bonus and then there are 2 or 3 more spots available for the same action
>>
Quick /bgg/, if you had to pick two out of these, which would it be and why?

Yamatai
Great Western Trail
Five Tribes
Power Grid
Concordia
Troyes
Tzolkin
Shogun
Lords of Xidit
Marco Polo
>>
>>52787124
It's not the switch from real-time to turn based (although it's certainly something that could be improved), it's just that "Millennium Blades" is a fucking boring game. Give me cards I can play out of turn that I keep in hand, some way of interacting with opponents outside of flipping their cards/clashing, just make the game more interesting. It needs to be reworked entirely.
>>
>>52792355
From what I have seen of them, Shogun and Concordia: Good combinations of tried and true game mechanics, good player interactivity and fun.
>>
File: you alright maam.png (321KB, 450x485px) Image search: [Google]
you alright maam.png
321KB, 450x485px
So I'm actually thinking about Millennium Blades after all this talk about the game. There are just a couple possible issues that I'm unsure about.

Can you freely trade cards? I am not a fan of haggling, especially when there's a time limit and I've got other shit to do.

Am I going to have multiple people reaching for the same "packs" at the same time?

>>52765104
>biggest expense
Resident Evil was kind of expensive. I ended up spending around $185 for the 5 sets.
>outside games
I use premium sleeves on every card that I can fit back into the game box, even if the required sleeves cost more than replacing the game.
>>
>>52794060
The 'standard' way to trade cards between players is trading one card for one card of equal 'star' value. There's a number in the top left of the card in a star that shows you the relative value of the card. (This number is also used when buying and selling in the aftermarket) So if you want a three star card from someone, you need to trade them a three star card they want or would be willing to accept. You can make up the difference in stars with 'friendship' points. Basically giving them or getting yourself 1, 2, or 3 victory points.

It sounds convoluted, but it's pretty easy in practice though you probably won't trade much if at all in your first two or three games as you're getting the hang of the deckbuilding and such.

It's easy to shortcut some haggling about cards people do/don't want with giving them a trash card and then hanging over some friendship points since they're just raw VP.
>>
>>52792355
five tribes
concordia
troyes

yes i picked three
>>
>>52794311

Actually, you make up the difference strictly with cash. So if you trade a star value 5 for their 3, they should also give you 2 Millennium Dollars.

The Friendship Points are used if the deal still seems like it would benefit one player more than the other, ie rounding out a collection or a card synergistic with their deck, they can sweeten the deal with some free VP for you.
>>
>>52790957

The House Always Wins was very good. I wish that was the intro scenario, to be honest. It does great things with the design space and the story has great pacing for being just one scenario out of 8.

I also have both POD scenarios but unfortunately haven't had the chance to try them yet, but everything I've heard about Carnevale indicates that it's going to be hard to top for quite some time.
>>
>>52794311
>>52795484
That sounds pretty reasonable. What about buying the packs though? Will we be fighting over them or is there some kind of order to buying? I'm currently picturing a lot of arguments and accidental card bending as 2 people try to take the same one.
>>
>>52792355
Yamatai
Five Tribes
I'm a sucker for Cathala. Already own Five Tribes but I'd definitely get it again if I lost it or whatever; Yamatai might scratch the Terra Mystica itch, and looks more accessible.

Since I already own one, I'll pick another.
Troyes, because of reprint.
>>
>>52796839

There are official rules in the rule book to break those ties but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I've not once experienced this though despite how frantic the deckbuilding phase is, primarily due to the random nature of the "boosters". For all you know you could be fighting over some 3 star single instead of trying for the newly revealed booster off the store deck
>>
>>52796839
The buying/selling cards phase is all real time and has no turn structure. You just perform legal actions at whatever speed you want until the time runs out. You could play your first 'deckbuilding phase' in turns so everyone gets a feel for it, but if your group has played/enjoyed any real-time games then I think you could probably handle it.

There's a 'store deck' a 3x3 store area and a 4x3 aftermarket area.

The store area has a face down card in every slot, and the deck is the hug ass stack of cards. When someone wants to buy a 'booster' they simply take the face down card either in the 3x3 grid, or the top of the store deck, pay the cost show, and add it to their 'binder'.

Cards can be sold into the 'aftermarket' area for the cost shown in stars on them and are put face up in the aftermarket area.

The only places I've run into arguments about cards is in the aftermarket and we decide who gets it by rock paper scissors. I've never had an issue over store area cards since you have no idea what the card is anyways and you'll be seeing more of that set of cards coming up before long.
>>
>>52766709

We really loved Dominant Species back when it came out but after 4 or 5 games all ended with someone not in contention to win being forced to basically pick the winner due to mechanics on the last turn or two we just couldn't do it anymore. The game is fundamentally flawed in my opinion and is one of the very few games I have ever sold.
>>
>>52789293
>Why are Lovecraft themed board games such shit? Too much of a normie magnet?
The Lovecraft theme is in the public domain, so it's used in bargain-bin Ameritrash designs.
>>
>>52790136
>I've never seen anyone present a better solution so eh
How about releasing a good game once and not ruining it with moneygrab bullshit?
>>
File: (((goblin))).jpg (35KB, 294x309px) Image search: [Google]
(((goblin))).jpg
35KB, 294x309px
>>52797653
>not ruining it with moneygrab bullshit

heheheh oh wait youre being serious
>>
>>52790136
There's also (atleast there should be) less of a stigma against proxying since you're expected to have the whole card pool anyway.
>>
>>52783211
>Eldritch
A more streamlined Arkham Horror. With expansions you've still got a shitload of different stuff on the table though. No reason to own AH when EH exists desu senpai.

>Mansions of Madness
Get the 2nd edition. Its incredible, although its recommended to get all the expansions at some point.
Also looks like its going to be expanded even more in the future.

MoM2nd ed > EH > AH > MoM 1st ed
>>
>>52799202

>EH is streamlined AH and thats why its better

When will this meme end
>>
File: board.png (2MB, 1117x724px) Image search: [Google]
board.png
2MB, 1117x724px
Paths of Glory Deluxe Edition is coming along, including mounted double-sided map (with historical variant map on the other side) and extra cards from Player's Guide.

Looks pretty nice.
>>
>>52799294
Never because people love repeating it without any evidence. EH is just a copy-paste of AH but with worse graphic design and a less personal adventure.
>>
>Hannibal & Hamilcar Kickstarter
I'm torn between my distaste for KS boardgames and my desire to own more wargames
>>
>>52787001
People like Yahtzee but don't like liking Yahtzee.
>>
>>52799539
I'm surprised they had a such success on KS with a wargame anyway. Would rather expect to see something like that in GMT P500

>Phalanx games

Wait a second, I know these guys. I own Race to the Rhine and never have the occasion to play it, because my group doesn't like wargames OR games that have war as a theme.
>>
>>52797653
You know that's what the core set is right?
You know the whole point of an expandable card game is it expands right? If they released the game once it would be an upfront payment so huge you'd just cry about that. Infact go and look at the price of a full set of codex, I'd much rather by a core set and then just buy whatever packs interest me as time goes on.

>>52798076
I've only ever seen a stigma against proxying at sanctioned tournements, no one cares if you do it in a casual setting.
>>
>>52799352
Inb4 my collection is just nothing but 2 player war games. I want Empire of the Sun too.
>>
>>52799656
>Inb4 my collection is just nothing but 2 player war games
I feel ya. I want to own No Retreat: Russian Front and Paths of Glory, but no players.

>Empire of the Sun
It's getting a reprint too, I think GMT announced it yesterday.
>>
>>52799676
What a time to be alive
>>
>>52799539
I'm more annoyed at the fact it has minis, I hope there's an option for counters

otherwise I'm really hoping this will be the definitive edition for Hannibal, I'm backing it
>>
>>52799628
>proxying
Yeah, but it's just weird that "multiple core sets" or "I don't have that" is a common complaint despite that. It's not like you can brag about a rare card in LCGs, so proxying is a legit answer for any economic concerns. It's probably just the players retaining their mindset from playing CCGs/TCGs I suppose.
>>
>>52799723
Yeah it's just the mindset of the braindead. They think the cards have any actual intrinsic mechanical value outside of looking nice for some reason. Those kind of people might be hesitant to you proxying but I don't think they'd stop you anyway and if they did they're probably not the kind of person you want to play with anyway
>>
File: drinking_snek.gif (2MB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
drinking_snek.gif
2MB, 270x188px
>>52788422
>ghoul priest ever surviving past the gathering
Kek

The entire design of the midnight masks is that it is a race against the clock. Also, night of the zealot isn't really meant to be replayed extensively, its a tutorial campaign.

That said, dunwich legacy is amazing. I own all 5 current scenarios and each one is equally enthralling and unique. You would enjoy misktatonic museum and blood on the altar a lot I think (unless you play Pete and the fear of Duke getting whackity whacked by sackman is a thing) if you want to explore. This game is a fucking marvel if you can afford it and have someone to play with constantly. I dont even touch my other games.
>>
>>52790086
There's a character whos passive perk is making several of the negative symbols in the bag be positive. There are also at least 6 cards off the top of my head that change/prevent/cancel/prevent the odds of getting a bad pull. This is a pretty weak reason to dismiss the game in this case compared to other arkham files games.
>>
>>52792977
>>52795451
>>52796865
Thanks for the recommendations lads, it helped narrow it down.

Yamatai was unfortunately already out of stock by the time I sorted out the bullshit I needed to get the discounts.
I watched a playthrough of Concordia and it didn't really captivate me. I'm not too fond of hand building too, so there's that.
Five Tribes I ended up ruling out since it fits the brand of analysis paralysis of two of my regular players all too perfectly. I can already see us turning the hourglass over and over again as they try to solve the game from turn one, analyzing every possible move and outcome.

Ended up going with: Shogun - the only thing with any semblance of combat I have is CitOW, so it still has a niche. I like the theme and simultaneous actions will help AP. Last but not least, that cube tower is kawaii as fuck.
Troyes - I'm curious about the dice mechanics and it seems pretty interactive for a euro. I also dig the art style.
And then I lost my willpower and ended up nabbing Power Grid too - I can feel the AP already, but I'm a sucker for economic games with auctions, it was cheap and I guess there's a reason it stayed popular all these years.
>>
>>52765104
do i back aeons end? do i need to back anything else?
>>
To the Anon who said he might scan Hero Realms character packs someday, any update?

I actually printed out all of Star Realms + CW + Expansion + Promo cards so I am good for now, but I'd like to get my hands on those Character packs for HR.
>>
>>52800997
>do i need to back anything else?
BIOS: Origins 2nd ed.
It's by Ecklund and not Ares Magazine so you won't have to wait two and a half years.
>>
>>52777054
Would you recommend Millennium Blades to someone who enjoys Star Realms and Hearthstone?

I always found building the deck itself the fun part of card games, and the stale playing of meta decks kind of kills it for me.
>>
>>52801029
I personally wouldn't. While you might enjoy the game it has a high asking price.

If however, you have experienced or would like to experience the ccg rush of the 90s then do check it out. MB captures the essence of that time in a box.

You also don't need to play meta decks. The meta conditions only pertain to you playing a single card with the corresponding meta requirement and sometimes you'll end up with a deck so strong you wont need to bother.

I will also say don't go in expecting a balanced ccg, it's not. It's meant to be fun and silly.
>>
File: IMG_9057.jpg (547KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9057.jpg
547KB, 1440x1920px
My copy of Star Realms came in the mail yesterday but I'm kinda disappointed because about 20 or so cards were stuck together and pulling them apart damaged one side of them of those
>>
>>52801442
Message them, most companies just send you a new game off the bat.
>>
>>52801442
Yeah, that's a major enough deal to where you REALLY should contact the company and say it's not okay.

They need to know if their manufacturers are slacking off.
>>
>>52799594
This might be one of the smartest statements I've heard in a while; also why KoT/KoNY, Liar's Dice, and Can't Stop, Rolling America/Japan are all very popular. Dice rolling is fun, but there's not much of a game there so you have to feel ashamed about it.
>>
>>52801473
>>52801857
Thanks for the push anons, I just emailed White Wizard Gaming telling them about the problem with some pictures to show them how bad it was. Here's another pic of the problem cards just because
>>
>>52765104
I just realized that Kallax shelf with wood texture is to coarse on touch, and it "scratches" game boxes, as in boxes appear to "lose color".

I will probably have to put some textile on the shelves.
>>
>>52766709
DS is basically EUROWARGAME.
Best played with 3 players.
>>
>>52799676
Same here, I have Panzer, FighitngFormations and Combat Commander, but nobody wants to play...
>>
>>52799405
> Complain about hyperbole memeitude
> Then spew more hyperbole danke memes

Nice
>>
>>52797185
>>52797506
Alright, I'm gonna go for it. Sounds like the things I was worried about aren't that much of a problem. Thanks for the info.
>>
I know Kickstarter games are a sensitive subject, but does anyone have any experience with Gloomhaven?
>>
>>52804393
It's the first game I ever Kickstarted. I generally hate Kickstarter but at 99 bucks and after seeing what the game looks like, I want it badly.
>>
>>52800723
>Five Tribes I ended up ruling out since it fits the brand of analysis paralysis of two of my regular players all too perfectly. I can already see us turning the hourglass over and over again as they try to solve the game from turn one, analyzing every possible move and outcome.

Yeah, Five Tribes is better suited to players with a semi-intuitive play style. I do wonder if the program / computer that beat the GO champion could be used to play a game like Five Tribes as well. :)
>>
File: IMG_6834.jpg (113KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6834.jpg
113KB, 1000x500px
Anyone here check out pyramid arcade?
>>
Looks like CSI is having a decent sized sale - approximately 70 board games on sale for their 15 anniversary.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com
>>
File: zombicidebp.jpg (509KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zombicidebp.jpg
509KB, 1280x720px
>>52804393
I was just looking at Massive Darkness and it looks pretty cool, but there are a lot of dungeon crawlers out there. I'd like some fun strategic gameplay and new mechanics other than:
>roll die
>you hit, have fun

Was checking out Zombicide: Black Plague. Looks really fun, streamlined, but offering a challenge and some depth. Plus the plastic porn looks breddy damned gud, same with Massive Darkness.

Anyone play Zombicide: Black Plague? If so you think a group who enjoys D&D board game slogs would get into it? By all accounts, it looks more interesting than those clusterfucks lol.
>>
>>52801029
>>52801405
>>52777054
My MB arrived in the mail today and the fat stacks fucking SUCK. It has taken me 20 minutes and I'm like halfway done with just the "1s". Fuck this bullshit.

I wish I didn't throw away my Monopoly Millionaire. What chit money was Rahdo using in his review?
>>
>>52806231
Dude, the stacks are amazing. Best money I've had in a game.
>>
File: how emberassing.png (64KB, 310x227px) Image search: [Google]
how emberassing.png
64KB, 310x227px
>>52806134
>http://www.coolstuffinc.com
>Still desperately trying to offload copies of Cry Havoc, Galactic Rebellion, Seafall, and Daedalus Sentence.
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>52806134
Coolstuff is always running a sale, the management got caught up in using them to unload stuff, so every 2 weeks there's another clearance of random titles that they can't move fast enough. Never enough good titles in any of them to convince me to drop $100 for the free shipping. MM does a better job lately, waiting months between sales but putting so much up at once you can easily get a good buy in.

>>52806304
Also desperately trying to get rid of the new Tumblin' Dice that's been plagued with issues since EGG reprinted it.
>>
Any recommendations for two players? We might enjoy some dungeon crawling stuff if such thing is possible with two players.
>>
>>52806427
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines is fantastic 1v1-game no matter what, but there is a co-op mode included that is a bit of a dungeon crawler that uses bot characters.
>>
>>52802986
Such is life of a wargamer. I even turned to playing solitaire, like The Barbarossa Campaign or State of Siege series.

You might also want to consider getting games that come along with AI charts, like COIN series or Churchill.
>>
Board gamer but not into war games
I just bought A Victory Lost on an impulse buy, is it good for beginners? Never had to play a hex and chit game.
>>
>>52806581
We have been playing Pathfinder Adventure Card game so I'm a bit sceptical about another card game. Thanks though
>>
>>52806042
70 for looney piramids? no thanks
>>
>>52806251
It still feels like 75gsm printer paper and looks like ass. I feel like laminating two back to back for each and calling it a day. At least then it would be nice to touch.
>>
>>52806042
Good components, nice book, there's lots of fun games there, but >>52807063 has the right of it imo. If he let CSI/MM sell it and I could get it 40% off I'd grab it but at full MSRP? Nope, there's other games on the buy list at higher priority.
>>
>>52806231
I mean. Thats like. Just your opinion man.

Maybe you just need to see the feeling of having a bunch of them piled up in front of you as you slam down another 5 one bills for a pack.

Also I recommended having someone make the bills with you and split the workload cause it takes fucking ages.
>>
>>52806427
Get space hulk death angel before it goes OOP for a co op romp through an alien infested ship

Also patchwork which will forever be the absolute ultimate in two player games
>>
>>52806397
>Coolstuff is always running a sale

Most of the weekly "sales" only include 4 or 5 board game titles and typically only one or two well known titles. (The majority of sale items are typically RPG or Card Game related.)

>>52806304
Yeah, who wouldn't try to offload slow sellers even if only to recoup a little of the wholesale costs. At least with this sale they've got titles that some here might be interested in like Pandemic Legacy, a Star Realms 4 pack bundle for $9, Time Stories, Tranjan, and Triumph & Tragedy 2nd Edition.
>>
>>52807834
Yeah my gf did it and it took 2 hours. I tried to touch them but the paper makes my skin crawl.
>>
>>52808252
>Not upgrading to metal coins in every game ever.
>>
>>52808252
That's fair. I can't touch things like chalk without that happening. If you do replace them some nice poker chips would be the next real cool thing for a tactile feel and can be used with other games too
>>
>>52807858
>patchwork
I've seen this game praised elsewhere, can you give me a short explanation of why it's so good?
>>
>>52809150
Different anon here. Simple rules, short playtime, meaningful/deep decisions; all of which are important for making a good abstract. Theme is also cute and the art is quality.

Still can't decide if the patchwork aspects make me want A Feast for Odin more or less than Caverna
>>
>>52807861
>Yeah, who wouldn't try to offload slow sellers even if only to recoup a little of the wholesale costs.
I just find it funny cause one of those games have been in literally every single sale CSI has had since these games have launched.
>>
>>52809568
I agree. A gold plated boat anchor is still a boat anchor and straight to the bottom it goes.
>>
>>52809428
>>52809150
Unfortunately, the way the pieces are laid out can mean one player controls the entire game as soon as they start picking pieces.
>>
File: Star Realms Tracking Aid.jpg (283KB, 635x1716px) Image search: [Google]
Star Realms Tracking Aid.jpg
283KB, 635x1716px
For any anon who plays star realms, I'm not satisfied with using the authority cards because it seems way too fiddly and time comsuming so I made a little tracking aid that I plan to laminate so I can use a dry erase marker to write down the values of authority, combat, and trade that I have. Feel free to use it yourself if you'd like.

What I'm planning on doing with it is folding the image along the middle so the sheets look like actual cards. I made each section (authority section, combat & trade section, each card back section) to be 60mm x 90mm so it's a little smaller than the cards widthwise and a little larger than the cards lengthwise but it's pretty close so I'm hoping this works well.
>>
>>52810033
And when I start playing abstracts with computers that never make errors instead of people I will worry more about this. Until then it's a fine game and enjoyable
>>
>>52810172
This is why I don't mind playing abstracts because even though a computer may be able to beat me through brute force and play perfectly, humans can't do that
>>
>>52806397
>Never enough good titles in any of them to convince me to drop $100 for the free shipping
Have them hold it at the Maitland store. I had a daily deal $3 Battlecon expac held at their store for four months before I decided also to get Triumph & Tragedy, GURPS Dsicworld 4e, and Celestia.
You have shit you want held, then have more shit held until you exceed $100 and call them to have them combine your orders and ship them. You can only get one daily deal at a time but the weekly sales are fair game.
inb4 shilling for CSI, this is milking them.
>>
>>52809568
Which one?
Hope it isn't Cry Havoc, I've been trying to offload that POS too.
>>
>>52811318
No, the real duds are the $120+ sci-fi games that are going over like lead balloons.
>>
>>52811416
You mean Empires: Galactic Rebellion?
The publisher of that shit is insane, they didn't shove 9001 pvc pieces in it and market hype it, and they didn't aim it at a niche, what they fuck were they expecting?
>>
>>52811469
They actually did shove tons of plastic in it an hyped it up somewhat solidly. The game is just utter shit.
>>
>>52811266
Yeah I've used their hold/ship policy before. The problem is you might get 1 item out of each sale, they each run for 2 weeks, maybe in 3 months it's enough to equal a free shipping. That's not bad, but they also don't have a set policy on how long they'll hold stuff, so it's kinda douchey to do that repeatedly. If they weren't so set on ALWAYS having a 2 week sale running they could let the stuff pile up a little more (their warehouse is massive, so it's not that big a deal) and then run a bigger clearance 3-6 times a year instead of letting stuff go slowly.
>>
>>52811643
>it's kinda douchey to do that repeatedly
They're a company which employs more than 50 people, literally nothing you can do to them would be douchey.
>>
>>52811762
Fair enough, lemme rephrase. It's something they could DECIDE was douchey and cancel my orders, since their hold policy isn't actually a policy, but more like an off-menu item. Plus having worked in sales for a long time; bigger, rarer sales (or a good loss leader), bring in more business than a shitty loss leader; which is what putting 2-3 mediocre games on sale is.
>>
Can anyone give me a quick summary of pixel tactics? It's caught my eye but I'd like to get opinions of others who already own or have played it
>>
>>52811888
You and your opponent each get an identical deck of 25 cards, and each card can be played in 5 different ways. You can play it as your Leader (you can only do this at the start of the game, and you lose when your Leader dies), on the board (each card has 3 abilities which are based on it's position on the board), or as a 1 time use.

tl;dr: Fairly fast strategy game where every card has several unique strategic niches, but immensely prone to analysis paralysis. I'm not really crazy about it, but it's only like $10.
>>
Opinions on Splendor? Is it worth getting or too expensive for what you get?
>>
>>52806042
Is that Cones of Dunshire?
>>
File: splendor.jpg (1MB, 2136x1424px) Image search: [Google]
splendor.jpg
1MB, 2136x1424px
>>52813643
At Asmodee prices? Too expensive; 35-50% off, it's about right. I call it a pure distillation of engine building, but some other anon a thread or two back had the insight of "it almost feels like the engine you'd build as part of a larger game". There's plenty who don't like it because the theme is pasted on worse than Waterdeep; more who dislike the fact it's so simple and the components aren't as premium as they could be. It doesn't help that it uses a standard eurogame box and the insert while very nice disguises the fact it takes up only a corner of said box at best(pic related).

The easiest argument for owning it I can ever give someone is it gets played. A lot. EVERYWHERE. Go to a meetup, it's something you see on the tables as often as TtR the last 12-18 months. Go to a con, big or small you'll see it a dozen times over the weekend as people learn it, or as an icebreaker. Game demo night at a (F)LGS? It's there. The simplicity and the fact it teaches a concept/mechanic that's used in dozens of heavier games means it's perfect for new gamers, but it's not like setting Candyland in front of people who love Twilight Struggle. There's still a very solid core there, enough to keep everyone happy for as long as it takes to play, which isn't that long; another reason it gets to the table a lot.
>>
File: IMAG0077.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0077.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
>thought I was winning the whole game
>then the orion player gets wormhole gen in the last round
>thought I could win if I at least contest his shit and prevent him from taking my planets
>then the orion player shows me his victory tiles that he got from fighting ancients
Fuck this game was intense. I should have been more aggressive, but screw it, it was fun & I loved it.

Are the expansions for Eclipse worth picking up?
>>
>>52810132
We just use a note pad. One of us always have one on us.
>>
>>52810132
>>52815069
BGG has a dual dial tracker (think KoT) in the files section I believe. You'd have to get some halfway decent cardstock, and maybe grab a couple rivets off amazon or gamecrafter or cannibalized from another game to make em work tho.
>>
>>52814270
Why are you playing on the floor anon?
>>
>>52815876
Eclipse needs a lot of space, and I don't have anything bigger than a coffee table in my little apartment. Gotta make do with what I have.
>>
>>52814270

I just played this the other day, for the first time since I bought it 4+ years ago. Two or three times I started setting it up, then put it back for something simpler.

Was bretty good, the intensely autistic finnish design actually moves pretty smoothly once you work out what youre doing after turn 1. We did forget to take victory points for winning battles though, which screwed up the final score.
>>
ezbuy anon here, ordered 5 games for around $20 last week and they have arrived safely. They were all tossed into one of those big plastic postage bags. Super Rhino, and Cockroach Poker had I think 2 layers of bubble wrap. Condottiere and Patchwork had additional cardboard box scraps wrapped around the games under the bubblewrap, and Exploding Kittens was only had its shrink wrap.

They're actually pretty satisfactory, no glaring deformities that I can notice. My one complaint is that most of the cards (in the games that have them) are pretty flimsy, feeling slightly thinner than the cards in Z-Man small box card games (Archaeology, Arboretum, etc.). This includes the Super Rhino cards, which while I don't know the original thickness, I assume is supposed to be pretty sturdy. It still plays fine, which is what's important. Patchwork also has thinner cardboard compared to official(?) versions, but feels satisfactorily thick.

All in all a good purchase, too bad about the flimsy cards but thick sleeves can fix that. Patchwork was a pleasant surprise as it had the english rule book too.
>>
>>52817812
Rhino Hero cards are about Bicycle playing card quality.
>>
Has anyone played Battletech Alpha Strike? I really want a game with fighting robots and this caught my eye. Is it a stand alone game or do I need to buy the scalped $300 intro box as well?
>>
>>52810132
>>52815128
This
I printed one for Hero Realms and one for Star Realms, works like a charm.
>>
>>52814270
>Are the expansions for Eclipse worth picking up?

Rise of the Ancients does add some interesting new races and abilities as well as the ability to play with up to 9 players. That said I don't think I'd want to do a 9 player game of Eclipse.

Ship Pack One is just eye-candy (new ship models for the various colors). You can easily live without it. (And stop judging me since I did get it! ;)

Shadows of the Rift - adds a couple of new races and a number of new rules. Haven't played it yet, so can't tell if it's worth it or not.

There are also various mini-expansions that add new tiles - you can check them out and buy them off of Board Game Geek's store. Don't buy them off of E-bay. People ask retarded prices for stuff on E-bay that's still on the Geek store for $5
>>
>>52814009
Thanks anon, that helps a lot. I've seen it priced around $40 so would you say that it's worth at most $25?

Also, I hate how euros have a hard on for making the boxes way too big
>>
>>52819214
$25ish sounds about right; at $20 I'd buy it just because that's a really good deal and give it away as a bday/xmas present to a new gamer friend. I'd prolly even grab for a few bucks more, maybe top out at $28; assuming I wasn't paying tax, or shipping, or it was the final piece of a larger order maybe; but only if i saw a real need to own it right away instead of waiting longer for a sale. I can wait a couple years to finally pull the trigger on a game (Ca$h n Gun$ is a favorite but I swore not unless I could grab it <$25 so it took 22 months give or take) but not everyone is as patient/broke as I am.

As for the box size thing, it's a retail issue, someone once made a game in that box, now they all gotta be in it to take up the same shelf space, lest they be overlooked.
>>
>>52812481
Is each expansion of the game standalone or do I have to buy multiple boxes to be able to play it?
>>
>>52821190
Standalone although each one is more complex than the last
>>
>>52821190
Each is standalone, but you can make custom decks if you buy the expansions. They tend to have a theme, such as one set introducing traps or other mechanics. They aren't labelled as such, though.

On a side note, the Pixel Tactics site has this blurb:
>Step back into the golden age of strategy gaming! Pixel Tactics tempers the tactics of an SRPG with the strategy of a card game
But it's not anything like any SRPG I've ever played.
>>
>>52817832
I always thought they were slightly thicker than that, or I haven't held a good deck of cards in a long time.
>>
File: c26-1589947207-1-l.jpg (68KB, 600x636px) Image search: [Google]
c26-1589947207-1-l.jpg
68KB, 600x636px
Going to try this tomorrow with my gaming group. What am I in for?
>>
>>52824545
A pretty complicated game with (hopefully) short lived alliances.
>>
>>52824545
A good game made a little worse by being a longer than it needs to be and by comparing poorly with the almost universally superior Rex.
But if you're into pissing your friends off and like A Song of Edge and Tits you should enjoy it.
>>
>>52824643
already tried Rex and loved it.
>>
>>52824643
>superior Rex
Stupid not-Dune, I wanna be the fremen damnit
>>
>>52824663
Then you'll almost certainly like aGoT a lot. Good luck, throw us a battle report when you're done!
>>
File: b.jpg (18KB, 240x312px) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
18KB, 240x312px
>>52824751
>throw us a battle report when you're done!
I'll try
>>
Update from >>52801442 and >>52802857 I'm returning it to Amazon and they're gonna send me a replacement copy. Here's to hoping the next one is a little better
>>
>>52824378
You're probably right, I was just trying to be safe. They definitely aren't China quality shit though, and the structural integrity of the cards is so integral to the gameplay that I'd never buy a knock-off.
>>
>>52824643
>>52824663
>>52824732
I keep seeing Rex brought up, how good is it?
>>
>>52828964
It was the most fun time I had with my gaming group so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbky5Hnob94
>>
>>52828964
Very, very good at 6 players.
Much less good at anything else.
>>
>>52767263
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxnZlHEnNk
>>
What are some coins from other countries that make good board game money? And relatively cheap.
>>
What are GMTs must-own?

Currently own Sekigahara (love it) and Twilight Struggle (deluxe and digital). Waiting on Paths of Glory deluxe. Have heard good things about Empire but probably will have a harder time finding someone to play it with me.
>>
>>52831270
Churchill is pretty good and at least one game of COIN series would be kosher - pick the one with theme that resonates the best with you. When in doubt, go for Cuba Libre.
>>
>>52831270
In addition to >>52831451, a couple GMT games I own and consider must-owns are Dominant Species and Triumph & Tragedy.

Some more GMT games which might be must-owns:

Combat Commander
Commands & Colors
Navajo Wars and/or Comancheria (solo games)
Battle Line
Here I Stand and/or Virgin Queen
>>
>>52831270
Triumph & Tragedy, Pericles, Labyrinth, Here I Stand/Virgin Queen, and Successors 3rd ed.
>>
Just played Shadows Over Camelot last week. The drop-in drop-out functionality really interests me. Are there any other games with the same capabilities?

Generally, I suspect that games with a similar mechanical framework to Pandemic can be made to work for drop-in drop-out with minimal rules tinkering, because SoC kinda felt like a take on Pandemic as well.
>>
Is there a solid definition of what someone means when they say a game is an engine builder? I have no idea what that means
>>
>>52833607

You spend resources to get materials that let you get future resources/points more efficiently. Look at Splendor or Machi Koro which are almost entirely engine building. Even stuff like Catan is part engine building, where building new settlements or upgrading to cities is building up your resource generation engine, letting you build more and hopefully win the game. Stuff like Cookie Clicker or Tiny Tower are digital engine building games.
>>
>>52833692
Thank you, that makes a lot more sense now
>>
>>52831009
Just as a note 'pile shuffling's is more often called by a more accurate name: 'pile sorting' as it doesn't shuffle and randomize the cards. It's a technique used in many card tricks due to how reliably it moves cards around the deck.
>>
>>52832218
>>52832182
>>52831451
All good options, but does everyone hate the idea of a racing game, or do you all just forget Thunder Alley is GMT?
>>
>>52835266
Not gonna lie, I'm rather skeptical about racing games (even if it is from GMT who do no wrong), and the fact that it's NASCAR-themed only kind of adds to the skepticism.
>>
>>52835327
Understandable, I can't stand watching racing personally, but for some reason in games I find it enjoyable. Sadly so many of them suck that either you need to make the game not about the race at all (Camel Up isn't bad but it's a betting game, and I hear Winners Circle is the adult version) or they have to be dexterity related (PitchCar is king, but I dream of a world where Roadzters is in print). If NASCAR turns you off, I hear GMT ported the system to a F1 style game, but it's really smart card play either way. Now I just need to find it on sale again, kicking myself for not getting that copy at the CSI ding/dent booth for $20 off because the plastic was torn.
>>
Played Sushi Go Party! today, was really fun actually.
>>
>>52833607
>Is there a solid definition of what someone means when they say a game is an engine builder?

I was surprised to note that the term 'Engine Builder' isn't in the BGG 'Geek' glossary. That said, this Anon's answer >>52833692 is solid.

One gathers / spends resources to set up a system that generates more / new / different resources later. Other games that might be considered engine builders: Puerto Rico and Archipelago.
>>
How is Neuroshima Hex?
>>
>>52838568
It's a deep, rewarding game, but it has a very steep learning curve. You have to be familiar with the powers of the various factions to be any good at it. There's a decent app for it, if you want to try it out.
>>
>>52839508
That's good to hear, deep games are my thing. Amazon has it for about $35, should I snag it?
>>
>tfw board and card games have become my main hobby but nobody plays them around me
>>
>>52840187
This is my life too
>>
>>52765104
biggest gaming expense: smash up with allt he expansions and big box

outside of that my biggest expense outside of games is an 80cmx80cm game mat, but that will change once I build a custom gaming table

and every game is sleeved, pizza and drinks usually accompany game nights

one question. I keep hearing about cosmic encounter, I usually play with 3-4 players in my group not sure how it plays at that count. Also are the expansions worth it?
>>
>>52835266
>GMT
>racing game

I completely did not know that they even had something like that in stock.
>>
File: IMG_1018.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1018.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>52840187
WELCOME TO THE HOBBY ;_;

At least god gave us the gift of Death Angel

But now GW has taketh away...
>>
>>52806042
I own and love it
>>
>>52840187
That's why we come here - at least you can talk about games or that one big game session you get once a month.
>>
>>52814009
Having played a bunch online this past week, I feel the same melancholy about the game as I do about many similar engine-building games. Right as I feel like I've got enough to do something, the game is already over. Does anyone else experience that? Like analysis blueballs, where all your hard work doesn't amount to anything spectacular by the end?

I feel like maybe if there were larger reward for higher collections it'd be more impressive of a win, like a Golden Snitch option. I'm sure that would kneecap the game if the point difference is so great. The problem with that I see is that the game is built around each of your acquisitions making acquisition easier, so you can't have players relinquish their gains in any way, so the engine has to keep getting bigger. I just wish there was a more impressive payoff, so I can see the mentality that it feels like an engine that would fit with more gameplay.
>>
>>52841070
Engine builders are all about deciding when is the moment to cash in your engine.

Other than that, have you ever tried Dominion?
>>
>>52841134
I have not, but I do own Arctic Scavengers. It's a tight fucking game, one that I feel does reward engine building more in the end because you interact with that engine in more variable ways than just what you can purchase, simply by nature of making the three acquisition methods[fighting, digging, and buying] a challenge of what you want to invest in. The special items are each unique advantages that ultimately don't matter as much to the end scoring, except the tribe families.
>>
>>52837032
Besides the soy sauce, what makes it different from normal sushi go?
>>
>>52841194
I'm interested in Arctic scavengers but my family aren't great with games that are too "mean" to each other. Is there much take that in it?
>>
>>52841070
I agree about Splendor. Everyone says it ends the moment a fun engine begins. Ending TOO early is as much a problem with engine games as ending too late. When you play with the fire that is growth functions, you're gonna get burned.
>>
>>52841936
Everyone round you're competing for resources in a 'combat'. There's quite a lot of head-butting over that resource.
>>
File: pic3031284.jpg (95KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
pic3031284.jpg
95KB, 600x800px
>>52841539

there are a ton of new foods to mix and match.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3031284/sushi-go-party
>>
MB + Set Rotation got here today and I spent the entire afternoon sleeving cards and wrapping money. I'm going to be really sad if my group ends up disliking the game.
>>
>>52843318
What a coincidence, I did the same. Though I didn't sleeve this one. WAY too many cards. The store is actually managable unsleeved.
>>
>>52843318
MAKE SURE you fucking play the PRERELEASE. If you don't, they will be frustrated not knowing what they're building for during the first timed phases. Hell give them promos for attending idgaf but do the fucking prerelease.
>>
File: grand prix.jpg (429KB, 697x1024px) Image search: [Google]
grand prix.jpg
429KB, 697x1024px
>>52840872
>went looking for pic related
>instead find the next game in the series
>Ten teams now complete across the Thunderverse in a season-long show of firepower and twisted metal. Drivers work as part of a team struggling to complete laps under machine gun and even missile fire.
I did not know I need this, but I totally need Death Race by GMT
>boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/218948/apocalypse-road
>>
>>52846097
That sounds interesting, I'll need to check it out.

I just got Hive in the mail and I've played a few games of it and holy crap am I garbage at it
>>
>>52841936
Yes and no. The basegame one of the only actual ways to screw players over is in combat, which happens every round but whether you put a stake in it or not is up to you. The other is with single card options to negate tools/units, which can be played out of turn, though by using them the one playing them is sacrificing what could have been a better spent resource, so there is good penalty to it. There are expansions which allow options to remove different types or even peek at what people have. Honestly though it's got a lot of value in terms of deckbuilding and observing other people's own strategies.
>>
>>52842144
>>52841070
>Right as I feel like I've got enough to do something, the game is already over. Does anyone else experience that?
That's absolutely deliberate. The contest isn't about who can make the best engine, it's about who can build a sufficiently good engine first. It's as much a racing game as an engine builder.

(And with good reason, pure engine building would be very boring unless it's attached to something else.)
>>
>>52847969
I keep hearing this but it isn't making the fun suddenly appear.

In every game where we've gone a couple turns after the engine is built, there has been actual enjoyment. Any other time has been really bummer. I think the main reason is Splendor's lack of interesting pieces to look at. I can envision having a much better time with the base game if they included acrylic faceted gems, plastic coins, and a cedar chest.
>>
>>52848514
Sounds like the mechanic is interesting to you, but not as a full game (and maybe not even as the core). I'm a big believer in pimping out games (when it gets played a lot and not too expensive) but Splendor has good art and better than average boring, same in every euro ever, wood components. If you were in love with it I'd say go nuts and build the copy of your dreams, but from your comments I wouldn't waste the effort. Anons above are pretty much right, engine builders if you worry about getting the perfect one, or even the one you want, right; you're gonna see the game end just before you get to use it. That's part of what getting better at the genre is about, and you'll find you end sooner and sooner with a leaner machine as your skill increases. It's about getting a simple pulley set up so you can move a piano, not building a rube goldberg to scramble eggs...... and now I've gotta start figuring out how to turn that into a game because using a piano to scramble eggs sounds awesome.
>>
>>52848661
Unfortunately, I have obsessive compulsive disorder and it wrecks my enjoyment of most games. I love gaming but god damn, it seems like I can't play a single game without my entire body carrying tension for days after.
>>
>>52848661
Also shouldn't the game have adjustable VP with an "expertise" chart in the rulebook then? I saw this in Roll Player, where the higher your score, the more prestigious your title in the book. Made me feel amazing to max out my title at the game. In fact, it's such a good idea that I have started dropping that criticism into score-based games that DON'T have it.
>>
>>52849356
I've got more than a few idiosyncrasies to go with my own panic disorder, I totally get that they can mess with a game being perfect. It's partly why I've embraced the tangential hobbies (like the canvas map building, painting minis, still working on that custom ammo crate storage idea), I can obsess over that stuff for weeks without spending a dime or wasting someone else's time. Still, I've had to learn that aside from maybe Survive, Ca$h 'n Gun$, and possibly Bling Bling Gemstone, no perfect game exists. I'm glad, it means my HoN army building/frames/tokens game + Final Fantasyish classes + SDE cutesy dungeon crawl will be the greatest thing in the universe (assuming I can figure out anything beyond the classes and level up system, balancing the skills/armor will take a lifetime if I ever do).

>>52849378
Yeah I really liked that when I was researching Roll Player (part of why it's really topping my list for dice placement to buy) but I'd say it comes back to the part where Splendor really is designed as an intro/gateway game. I'd be happy if they released a new set of cards for it as an expansion, maybe replacing the original ones with an advanced deck, where it'll be harder/longer to get your engine running, but I'm not sure it's needed. If you're playing it 10 years from now, it'd have to be to give your brain a break, or teach someone new to gaming; there's never going to be serious depth there.
>>
Didn't some guy say he has the entire EPIC card game set for PnP?
Would you mind sharing?
>>
>>52849556
Me here, I found a PnP but I dont think it contains everything.
Is there a place where you can get a list of everything you get from the basic box?
>>
File: IMG_6844.jpg (87KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6844.jpg
87KB, 500x330px
Anyone get a chance to try out 'escape from aliens from outspace'
>>
>>52840954
Does it live up to the price? I demo it almost daily at my local shop but the price still scares me.

Have you played the space campaign one yet?
>>
>>52850685
Homeworlds? No I haven't played it yet. None of my friends want to learn the rules.

In my country (australia) almost all boardgames are expensive so the expense didn't seem that much to me compared to what I'm used to sorry.
>>
>>52849542
They're working on a 4part expansion for splendor TBA 2017.
>>
>>52831101
Yen coins would work well. Probably easier to buy than many other currencies and cheap since they use high denominations. The 1 yen coin is very light and the 5 yen has a different color and a cool hole in the middle - although it lacks a printed number.
Yuan would probably be even better, particularly the jiao coins. They're light, have big numbers and different colors - the 1 is silver while the 5 is gold. Cheap too, 1 jiao is worth just a cent and the currency is common enough that it should be easy to buy.
>>
Hi guys, I'm new to board games (other than scrabble and rummikub) and I was wondering if I should buy Ticket to ride and Settlers of Catan as a newbie to more complex board games.

I've seen good reviews to both of these games and they look pretty neat. Should I go for these two?

Any suggestions welcome!
>>
>>52852509

Catan is a bit antiquated and dated. It's not bad, mind you, but there are much better gateway games.

TTR though is still good and a very safe bet for a first plunge into board gaming. I'd go with that.
>>
>>52852565
Well, isn't Catan a classic? The game seems a bit boring, I have to admit but maybe if I give it a shot and play it, I might change my mind.
>>
>>52852579

It's a classic in the sense it's the game that kickstarted the trend of german/eurogames in the US, but it still feels like a game from a bygone age.

If you really want one of them "modern classics" from the late 90's or ealy 00, I'd suggest carcassonne, el grande (heavier) or tikal (heavier), all of which have aged more gracefully.
>>
>>52852609
Also , wanted to ask about Dominion. It's more like a card game instead of a board game but it seems to be okay.

Carcassonne looked alright when I was searching for board games but I thought it will be hard.
>>
>>52852609
>modern classics
I'd also add Dominion and Puerto Rico.
>>
>>52852636
I've lost count how many people I've taught Carcassonne to and by turn three (at worst) they knew what they were doing
>>
>>52852723
Ok. Thanks a lot! I'll go tomorrow to my local shop and buy Carca , TTR and maybe Dominion.
>>
>>52852718

Yeah dominion's a great choice, didnt cross my mind because it's mostly a card game.. Great suggestion.

Puerto Rico isnt exactly what I would call a noob friendly game though. It's great but maybe something to get further down the line ?

You may also want to try pandemic if a cooperative board game sounds intriguing to you.
>>
>>52852755
I think that one should give people more credit. Those eurogames are pretty simple with straightforward rules, but they have plenty of strategic depth.

If you want to introduce somebody to board games with Empire of the Sun, then let's say both you and the newbie will have a bad time.
>>
>>52840111
As previous anon said its a solid game. Can be tricky for some because in the end its purely, nicely disguised, abstract game.
My gf likes chess and she loves neuroshima as well.

I personally got it for 20$ but its from my country, consider the producer website(its in english) + shipping if you are from yurop.
>>
>>52852779

I'm not saying Puerto Rico is hard to play, but it's a bit unforgiving for newcomers. Not a gateway game imho but It's still one of my favourite euros.
>>
>>52852789
Indeed, but then again, newcomers in any euro will have hard first games. When I play with somebody new to the game, but who has experience with other games, I offer them additional victory points to equalize the playing field.
>>
>>52852789
It's unforgiving to newcomers to Puerto Rico, not newcomers to board games overall. It'll be noobs playing with noobs, so unequal field isn't really an issue.The biggest hurdle for people new to board games is a rulebook the size of the Bible and a ten hour playtime. PR is fairly fast, straightforward and quick to teach. Easy to learn, hard to master, as much as I hate that expression.
>>
>>52852823

Awright awright. Why the hell not. I like euros alright but I'm mostly an ameritrash player, so maybe I'm more cautious with recommanding heavier\less forgiving euros.
>>
>>52852861
What's "euros"? European b games?
>>
>>52852789
Would San Juan be a good replacement? Same mechanics, easier to digest, and no worker placement mechanic making it less frustrating.
>>
>>52852868
Euro style board games opposition to ameritrash board games.
>>
>>52852868

Euros is a bit of a catch all term for games that come from the "german" school of design, they are usually built around less randomness, less violent themes, indirect interaction between players, mechanics like bidding, worker placement, trading, converting X red cubes into X blue cubes etc...

It's usually used in opposition to "ameritrash" games, that are more about direct conflict, killing people, rolling buckets of dice etc...

There's a million exceptions, and there are more and more games that are "hybrids" taking from both schools of design. Bu to get an idea, a game about trading in the meditteranean is a euro, and a game about killing dragons with a big fucking axe is ameritrash.

>>52852909

I'll be honest, I've never played San Juan, but from what I've read, I'm sure it'd be a nice gateway game. I've always been curious to try it out.
>>
>>52852909
>>52852925

Yeah, I think San Juan is good, albeit a lot less shallow than Puerto Rico.
>>
>>52852868
Look at your game and what it's about. Now try to refluff it to be about growing corn and carrots. Got it? Now make it about about building a space empire. Still works? Did the game lose anything in the process?
If it didn't, you're almost certainly playing a eurogame.
>>
>>52852925
Look for Condado if you're on Android, it's basically San Juan.

>>52852933
I'm guessing you mean a lot more shallow instead of less?
>>
Any recommendations for anything with a large amount of minis?
>>
>>52853241
War of the ring
>>
>>52853072
>I'm guessing you mean a lot more shallow instead of less?

Oops, yeah. Guess I mixed up "a lot less deep" and "a lot more shallow".

But yeah, it's a straightforward game, which pretty much anybody can enjoy.
>>
>>52852733
Carcassonne is one of my favorite games, I also really like it when I'm teaching it to others. When I teach a game, I don't try to curb stomp the new people because that's not fun for anyone so when they ask for suggestions I tell them where I would have played it if I was them, which usually means I'm making things harder on myself but I enjoy trying to weasel my way out of things like that.

Personally I can't stand TtR because it's way too boring for me but I will admit that it's an excellent intro game so that's a good choice, it's just not for me.

Haven't played Dominion so I can't comment on it but I've seen others talk about it being good.
>>
>>52853644
Thanks for the reply. My local shop only has TTR Europe. Is there a difference or something?
>>
I'm looking for some new ''RPGs in a box'' style games i can add to the collection.

Any suggestions?

games for reference: Mice and mystics, Super dungeon explore
>>
>>52854077
Aside from the geographical differences on the map? There's stations, which you can choose not to use and it's the same as USA TtR. It just adds an extra dimension, but nothing earth shattering. Some of the routes are also tunnel/ferry which have slightly different rules for building them (memory fails but it's throw away an extra train for building in the mountains?) and again doesn't change the core gameplay. The map packs (team asia/uk/penn/switz) and Marklin are the ones that really fuss with how the game works.
>>
>>52854247
Okay. I really thought it was different from the original game. Thanks for clearing it up for me , anon.
>>
So... I dreamed that I went to a boardgaming convention with Zee Garcia and Donald Trump.

They were both really nice to me except Mr Trump stayed in the shower for way too long at the hotel. And he didnt want me to stop at toys r us to shop for transformers before I left. But I was running late for my plane back to france so I guess that makes sense.
>>
Got to play Not Alone twice after the first playtest (which led me to buy it).
1st game was a two-player game.
2nd game was a 7-player game.
Each time, I was the Creature. And each time resulted in an overwhelming victory on my end.

Is this game really balanced? The first game we did was a win in the favor of the scientists but we beat the Creature because we really went all-out in the last couple of rounds.
>>
>>52854230
Arcadia quest although fuck cmon ks strategy.
>>
fresh thread
>>52855803
>>52855803
>>
>>52854230

Shadows of fucking Brimstone, son.
>>
>>52852868
>What's "euros"? European b games?
There's two definitions, a broad one and a narrow one.

The broad one is "anything that's competitive instead of thematic". (By that measure chess, checkers, go are euro games.)

The narrow one is "competitive games with multiple win conditions, negative-sum player interactions, front-loaded strategic decisions".
>>
File: Stupid....jpg (116KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid....jpg
116KB, 800x530px
>>52765972

Good work brother! I see my board games as an investment. If I treat them right, they will easily last me a lifetime of enjoyment when the need arise.

Remember when you where a kid, and your parents let you play with the few board games that where out on the market? How fast and quickly a game could go from new and mint condition, to absolute trash? Thats because our parents a generation back where fucking stupid and didn't see games as anything other than toys... with lots of bits in them.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.