[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 55

File: 1473927172008.jpg (449KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473927172008.jpg
449KB, 900x600px
Last thread
>>52622395
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

So let's talk OC; what have you made/painted/laminated/pimped out on your games? Score sheets, house rules, foamcore inserts, upgraded components? Whose stuff have you copied/stolen/bought because it was too good an idea to pass up? What do you want to upgrade/fix/add-on to your games but don't know how?
>>
>>52694931
I have made all the mini-expansions for Terra Mystica, first on cardboard and later on foamcore.

Besides that I have made foamcore inserts for my complete collection of Dominion, reducing it down to two of the original boxes. Nations also got a foamcore insert (with plenty of space left over) but the thing I'm most proud of is my foamcore insert for Lords of Waterdeep with the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion.

I kinda want to make an insert for TM but the box is so tightly packed I have no idea how to approach it.
>>
When you guys store expansions in with their base games, do you throw away the expansion box?
>>
>>52694931
>foamcore inserts
Christ, I need to scratch that creation itch. Any great games that could use a lot of insert creation as well?
>>
>>52696053
Fuck, forgot to contribute. I've made tiny wooden boats for Sail to India's player cubes. It fits just inside the already tiny box so I'm really proud of that one.
>>
File: 20170308_065615.jpg (827KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_065615.jpg
827KB, 747x1328px
>>52696017
Fuck no. I keep the useless empty husks stored in a nondescript amazon box hidden in a closet, so I can keep swearing to myself that I will one day display them on a new boardgame shelf despite being completely nonfunctional.
>>
Is Eldritch Horror actually good?

Hear a lot of mixed things. Don't mind dice chucking.
>>
File: SBb28.png (1B, 486x500px)
SBb28.png
1B, 486x500px
What are some good games for solo play?
>>
>>52694931
>what have you made/painted/laminated/pimped out on your games? Score sheets, house rules, foamcore inserts, upgraded components?

I've done a ton of laminated 'player guides', etc, to ease people into new games.

>>52696017
>do you throw away the expansion box?

What Heresy is this you speak of?!? Do you want me to report you to the Commissar for a good old fashion 'Blamming'? (I'm with >>52696142 - I keep the expansion boxes.)
>>
File: pic2875804_md.png (469KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2875804_md.png
469KB, 500x500px
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters anon,are you still there?

did you scan it?
>>
>>52696699
What genre do you like? There are tons of games that include solo play as well as a ton of co-ops that can still be played solo.
>>
>>52696699
Onirim is fun as shit,and its only a deck of cards.

lots of shuffling though.
>>
>>52692595
>It's true. Starting placement is actually the number one make-or-break decision in the game. The second is what faction you pick (they're HORRIBLY unbalanced). After that, you just make the most optimal move every turn for your particular game. You can actually solve the game for all players the moment the game is set up. And since you have to calculate your optimal move every turn anyway, you might as well do it all at once. Game is 80% downtime.
That's false. What wins or loses the game is activating the right bonuses, and these are randomized each game. It's no more "solved" than chess is.

>>52692130
>Is this true? I've had my eye on this game but if this is what happens then I don't think I can justify buying it.
No, Terra Mystica is great fun. It's a unique mashup of traditional boardgame mechanics (no hidden information, pattern matching and tactical movement) with modern ones (randomized setup, front-loaded strategic choices, many different win conditions).

There's really no other game like it at the moment.

It has some flaws, for sure -- unbalanced factions, wonky scoring mechanisms that poorly interact depending on player count, fiddly overcomplex rules -- but it's still great fun.

You can play it online and see for yourself.
>>
>>52696715
Pretty much anything, with a preference for games that are mechanics heavy.
>>
>>52696930
The bonuses are only randomized before the game. So yes, it's completely solvable the moment you do that because they don't change. Also if you don't think TM is 80% won before the game begins then you're proving you know shit about the game.
>>
>>52697009
>So yes, it's completely solvable the moment you do that because they don't change.
It's completely solvable the same way chess is completely solvable. (That is, solvable in theory but not in practice.)

>Also if you don't think TM is 80% won before the game begins then you're proving you know shit about the game.
This is certainly true, but then again the game is deliberately made to be extremely front-loaded.

This doesn't mean you'll start winning once you memorize the good openings, this isn't true for chess and isn't true for Terra Mystica either.

Like I said, it's very much a chesslike game with eurogame victory point scoring, this is exactly what makes it so unique.
>>
>>52696937
Go to BGG, advance search, publisher "GMT Games," set min players to 1.
Do the same for publisher "Sierra Madre Games."
In addition to that is Mage Knight.
>>
>>52697009
So, in practical terms, the players will never have any opportunity ever to stop players from winning (which they know since the game is done before starting according to you)?
>>
File: 1407895381525.jpg (12KB, 229x208px) Image search: [Google]
1407895381525.jpg
12KB, 229x208px
>>52696142
>Those nails
PLEASE CUT???

Also why does boardgaming attract people who cant wear deodorant and wash (I promise this wasn't a dig at you nails anon)
>>
>>52697646
>So, in practical terms, the players will never have any opportunity ever to stop players from winning (which they know since the game is done before starting according to you)?
It's just like chess. It's sensitive to player skill and knowing the 'correct' openings. If you have players of roughly equal skill level then it's a different story as they recognize when the opponent is trying for an 'optimal' strategy and they can try ruining it.

Have you ever played chess? Your complaints apply to chess as well.

The main problem with Terra Mystica is the scoring rules which work in wildly different ways (and not in a good way) depending on the number of players, not the fact that it's a perfect information game.
>>
File: Promise.png (34KB, 1418x163px) Image search: [Google]
Promise.png
34KB, 1418x163px
Hero Realms anon, threadly reminder that I am waiting.
>>
>>52694931
Let's see, I've made inserts for Forbidden Stars, Chaos in the Old World, Fury of Dracula, Eldritch Horror, all my FFG games really. Oh and Lords of Waterdeep so I can keep the game and both expansions in the same box.

Eldritch horror is really the only game I've done more for than laminate/sleeve stuff. I've got some plain blue and red dice with white pips to keep track of health/sanity in that game (the tokens are just silly). I've also got a nice bag for the monster tokens with a subtle green tentacle printed onto it.

>>52696297
It's great if you're at least a bit into the theme and don't mind the odds being against you winning.
>>
>>52694931
>someone uses that joke image I made to start the thread with some interesting questions we haven't talked about a hundred times before.
Thanks anon, made my day there.
>>
>>52696937
Archipelago plus the solo expansion might be something you would like.
>>
>>52694931
>what have you made/painted/laminated/pimped out on your games? Score sheets, house rules, foamcore inserts, upgraded components?
I haven't done much but I remember slaving away on a shoddily made insert made out of cardboard for Flashpoint. The edges weren't straight, tokens slipped under it to other spaces, the walls were slanted, and you couldn't close it all the way, but I loved the thing. Then I bought a plano box. It was so much better. Sold the game recently too.

>Whose stuff have you copied/stolen/bought because it was too good an idea to pass up?
Played Skull and Cockroach Poker using just regular trump cards with friends. I want to hack up a box of Cuckoo Go using sticks, toy eggs, and a pigeon toy, not sure where to get the tin though.

>What do you want to upgrade/fix/add-on to your games but don't know how?
No real desire to modify any games at the moment beyond some pimped out card sleeves.
>>
>>52697970
The solo expac is brutal to the point that I think they didn't properly playtest it. Getting a gold rank requires both playing perfectly and literally every random process having the least harmful possible outcome.
>>
>>52697987
Since it's just a bunch of cards I don't even feel guilty that I pirated it for all of two scenarios and then chucked that shit in the bin.
>>
>>52696699

>Friday
Deckbuilding solo-game. Artwork is meh but gameplay checks out. You start with a very weak deck and must face increasing dangers. When you lose against a danger, you lose health but get the opportunity to weed out your shitty cards. When you beat a danger, you can gain its card to keep in your deck. Each deck cycle gives you a penalty card though, because Robinson grows old and in the end you have to face 2 pirates (if the dangers did not kill you beforehand).
>>
>>52696699
Space Hulk Death Angel
>>
>>52694931
I had a friend of mine 3D print for me a ton of small tank and ship pieces to go with my copy of Diplomacy that I just got in the mail. After I paint them I'm planning on making a foam insert to hold everything in little bags because Avalon Hill just expected you to throw everything into the bottom of the box and fish the pieces out when you want to play.

An anon last thread suggested using spray paint to paint the pieces and while that's an excellent idea I'd have to spend ~$28 for the seven cans of paint, which is $8 more than what I paid for the game. So I'm debating between doing that or painting all 280 pieces by hand which would take a lot longer but only cost me about $7 in paint
>>
>>52698270
I keep trying to push "Spulk Dangel" and no one bites.
>>
>>52698352
Kys.
>>
Need an opinion on Mission Red Planet 2015. All pros and cons, please.
>>
>>52696745

Onirim was just released on Android and iOS, fyi. Helps mitigate the shuffling massively.
>>
>>52696699
Get Shadow of Brimstone, grab the BGG hexcrawl community stuff and go nuts! It's an amazing solo/duo (using 2 characters) experience.
>>
>>52698352
Try Shulk Dangle instead.
>>
I played 8-minutes empire and liked it as filler. What about her cousin, 8-min empire legends?
>>
File: hannibal.jpg (57KB, 527x565px) Image search: [Google]
hannibal.jpg
57KB, 527x565px
Super dungeon explore forgotten king or Wiz War?
>>
>>52694931
>idea copying/stealing
picking up sheets of coin pockets for holding 63 counters per page was the best idea I've ever stolen from BGG for Duel of Ages II, makes characters so much easier to find after team setup

>>52699381
Wiz-War easily, CMoN makes trash games
>>
>>52699681
Dungeon explore isnt a CMoN game

Does wiz war play well with 2 players btw?
>>
>>52699728
oops you're right, I'm thinking of Arcadia Quest

I find that it's fine as a 2P game, you want to use the classic variant rules, side B boards, mash all cards together to form a single deck and maybe you might want to follow the instructions on this thread at BGG to increase the intensity of the game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/803845/why-new-version-seems-unfun-and-my-suggestions-mak

if you stick with the standard FFG rules and side At boards then it becomes a game of running around stealing treasure rather than something more combat-oriented
>>
File: 20151202_084211 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151202_084211 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>52697675
>PLEASE CUT???
How I felt the entire time I watched Ricky Royal's War of the Ring series.

>>52697911
All the talk about the OC charts and how I should fix em had me inspired; and your image was the best OC in my /bgg/ starter folder.

>>52697971
I too know the pain of doing something badly on Flash Point, I don't hate my insert but the tokens were the first set I colored the edged on, and they did not all turn out well, the white especially are bad. Elder Sign turned out better on both, but needs to be redone since I left space for the board I was working on and never finished, now the tokens spill everywhere without something to hold them in.
>>
>>52696699
Tiny Epic Western
>>
>>52696937
You might look at the XenoShyft deck builders as they are fun but punishing at times. There's also a variety of other Co-op games that can easily be played solo. (Gears of War is a good example but it is OOP sadly.)

As for true solo play - try Robinson Crusoe, The Hunters (WWII submarine game), Nations, and others. There are a couple of good 'perma-threads' on Board Game Geek that list a vast array of solo games.
>>
>>52697675
Dude I'm a chick, we have long nails.
>>
>>52697383
Front-loaded is just a fancy way of saying "mostly downtime"
>>
>>52697646
There's really not a way if someone can see your resources and board location. It doesn't take a genius to note who can cut you off from various plays and who would actually be WILLING to forego their own current strategy to cut you off. The guy that keeps comparing it to chess is really overusing the fact that both are relatively abstract games comprised almost entirely of pure calculation and silence. They do have one more thing in common though: people who are good at both concede the game long before it's over.
>>
>>52697840
Alright anon. I'll do you today. Let me just finish de-sleeving all the hero cards.
>>
File: In_vzSoBMIc.jpg (60KB, 960x590px) Image search: [Google]
In_vzSoBMIc.jpg
60KB, 960x590px
>>52701712
>I am a girl so it's ok to have long nails
>>
>>52701988
It's a valid defense. Anyone can have nails as long as they want, she's explained why she wants them.
>>
>>52701725
>Front-loaded is just a fancy way of saying "mostly downtime"
No, "front-loaded" means that the most important decisions are made early on in the game. Not a bad thing, it comes down to personal preference.
>>
>>52701712
Worst part about girls desu. Especially when they're over a cm past the finger. Genuinely grosses me out.
>>
>>52702576
Well I'm a lesbian so your opinion is invalid.
>>
>>52702679
how does you being a lesbian invalidate his opinion?

"Long fingernails gross me out"
"No they don't, I'm a lesbian"
>>
>>52702679
>Well I'm a lesbian
Trapped in a man's body?
>>
File: but why.jpg (57KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
but why.jpg
57KB, 640x394px
>>52702781
>>52702679
>>52702576
>>52701988
>>>/fa/

Anyone playing games over the weekend? My brothers in law are visiting, going to break out some longer stuff to play with them.
>>
>>52702781
Maybe because judging this girl on the internet for her attractiveness based on her fingernails is implied to be heterosexual judgment.

But you really should not be responding to this line of replies. It's only going to get worse.
>>
>>52702826
My weekend lineup:
>Aeon's End
>Suburbia
>Race for the Galaxy
>>
>>52702826
>Anyone playing games over the weekend?
Doesn't look like I'll be able to get any gaming in until the 8th of next Month unfortunately.
>>
File: correction.png (4MB, 1217x2834px) Image search: [Google]
correction.png
4MB, 1217x2834px
>>52702826
Same for me, hanging out at the inlaws with wife's two brothers.Planning to take
>Stronghold
>ST: Ascendancy
>New Angeles
>Santorini
>Epic
>Libertalia
>Sheriff
Probably a half dozen other things I haven't decided on, suggestions welcome.
>>
>>52694931

> OC

Oh I do lots of that, I have a nice fancy foamcore insert for Escape curse of the temple I made myself (as well as many other games, shadows of brimstone, castle panic, Lords of Waterdeep...); I made a few player aids for games like Survive, doom, I play Shadows of Brimstone with a few house rules, added plastic brains to my zombie dice tub...
I have bought the DnDeeples for lords of waterdeep hecause they really help with the theme.

I'd like to make a perfect insert for a few games with lots of minis like TMNT, Dungeon Saga, but I somehow cant make them work.
>>
>>52702831
Who was talking about attractiveness? I just dont like long nails. It's unhygienic.
>>
>>52701712
Dibs on a back-scratch! ;) (And this is why women with long finger nails are awesome!)
>>
File: Watermelon Cat Argument.jpg (57KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
Watermelon Cat Argument.jpg
57KB, 500x485px
>>52702781
>how does you being a lesbian invalidate his opinion?

Pic related?
>>
>>52703272
That's incorrect. Bacteria get up under short nails too. With long nails you can more easily wash them. All you have to do is keep your hands washed normally.
>>
>>52703495
>>52703459
>>52703438
>>52703272
>/bgg/ - pedicures

Seriously you mongoloids, if we're going to be OCD about something it might as well be tangentially related, like coasters.
>>
>>52702995
>fancy foamcore insert for Escape curse of the temple
Really? I always thought the standard insert on that one was nice enough, would like to see pics if you've got any.
>>
>>52703554
>pedicures
Manicures.
>>
>>52703571

Got everything ever released for it in the base game box, the old insert wasnt going to cut it...

Right now, the game is at my workplace (I work with children and just introduced them to the game today, they thought it was stressful but awesome) I'll try to make a few pics of the insert next week
>>
File: aku.jpg (21KB, 170x184px) Image search: [Google]
aku.jpg
21KB, 170x184px
>>52703575
. . .Would I look less dumb if I pretended I thought we were talking about feet?
>>
File: Finished insert.jpg (876KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Finished insert.jpg
876KB, 1836x3264px
>>52703599
Ahh, that makes sense, I only have the base game as it doesn't hit the table that often; too stressful for the casual friends, and it's really not as good with 2 as with 5. Appreciate the pics, I don't do foamcore inserts often but I love to steal ideas from other people to build my own. Flash Point came about after seeing a thread on BGG and deciding I liked his display for the role cards.
>>
>>52703677
What tools are required for this?
>>
>>52702926
How would you rate Santorini overall?
I have people saying its over hyped and not as good, while others sing its praises.

I ordered it from CSI but it will only arrive with my cousins in a couple of months.
>>
>>52703698
One sheet of black foamcore, the cheapest utility knife handle at the store, pack of 5 blades for said knife, bottle of glue that was laying around (normally I'd use white but I had leftover bottle of wood glue I didn't want going bad), couple pins to hold things together while the glue set, couple magazines and a heavy hardback copy of LotR to hold the joints together while the glue set, metal ruler to use as a straight edge, pencil to mark lengths, a couple coins to use as half moon stencils, a scalpal from a stitch removal kit to cut the curved line (an exacto knife would work too), and a cutting mat (or in my case more USPS free flate rate boxes). Think I spent all of like $5 to do inserts for Flash Point and Elder Sign the first time I made any; if I ever get the urge to do new ones I just need a single sheet of foamcore for 1-2 games.

>useful how-to on them
orderofgamers.com/category/foamcore-plans/
>guy I steal ideas from
boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/170273/cwhitpans-foam-core-inserts
>>
>>52703764
I'm pretty happy with it so far. Less than 50 plays in so I can't comment too much on replayability, but there's so many god cards that I think it'll hold up quite well, though there's certainly more than a few poor matchups. I don't think it's as deep as Onitama or Duke/Jarl, but I'm happy to have at least one abstract that isn't strongly related to chess.

Some people around here have gone on about it just being a dressed up X in a row game and those being fundamentally flawed, and I'm not well enough versed in the math involved to back or refute those claims, but I absolutely find the game more compelling than connect 4 and the like. Certainly it's overproduced, but that doesn't bother me. Overall very happy to have it in my collection.
>>
>>52703824
oh great then I only need the foam! Recommended seller? I have Amazon Prime.
>>
>>52703764
Santorini is the only game out of a dozen so far that has been a bust for my wife. she basically just sees it as a glorified Connect 4 that's way more hassle than it's worth. Throw in the different abilities that she feels she has to learn and it's a hard pass. only seen the table 3 times for 2 games each. Trying to offload it at the moment
>>
>>52704094
You could buy like 5-10pks on amazon sure; I just go to the local supermarket for single sheets since I'm there every day at least once for work.
>>
File: special-relationship.jpg (79KB, 375x525px) Image search: [Google]
special-relationship.jpg
79KB, 375x525px
>Brother only wants to play Memoir'44
>Dad only wants to play Twilight Struggle

What would be a good game to get?
>>
>>52704810
COIN games probably.
>>
>>52705020
Cuba Libre?
>>
File: QuarterMaster General 01.jpg (223KB, 730x1024px) Image search: [Google]
QuarterMaster General 01.jpg
223KB, 730x1024px
>>52704810
Quarter Master General.
>>
File: QuarterMaster General 02.jpg (386KB, 1200x780px) Image search: [Google]
QuarterMaster General 02.jpg
386KB, 1200x780px
>>52705684
>>
I played Hero Realms for the 2nd time yesterday, and I can't help but feel the game is 80% luck dependent.

I know there is some strategy involved, I already got a grasp on a couple of game types, but I can't shake the feel that it all comes down to luck of the draw.

I had a game where I swarmed the board with cheap cards, a game where I bought all the cycle I could, bought only expensive cards, bought a lot of card removal from my own deck to get rid of the trash, bought Fire Gems and cycled them for gold boost and keeping my deck thin.

No matter what I tried I never felt like I made a big decision, most of the time I won because I had good draws and my opponent drew gold.

Does it get better the more you go on? or is this the core of the game?

Also how does it play in 1v1v1 and how does it compare to Star Realms Colony Wars?
>>
>>52696297
I and a lot of other people enjoy it, but you either need to really enjoy Burgerspielen and/or really dig the Lovecraft setting. I don't think it's for everyone. It's mostly about mitigating risk and deciding priorities, so the randomness is high.
>>
>>52705341
It is usually recommended for new players but I would rather pick one that has the most interesting theme. I haven't played any COIN game but I have preordered Andean Abyss through GMT's P500.
>>
>>52702826
Got in a game of X-Wing on Thursday night, hadn't played in close to a year but managed to squeek out a win.

Hopefully I'll also get in a game day on Monday.
>>
File: IMG_1774.jpg (52KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1774.jpg
52KB, 600x395px
>>52701712
This is a boardgaming forum, so we're used to playing by the rules around here. You know the rules, anon.
>>
>>52704102
>Throw in the different abilities that she feels she has to learn

She can't read and understand one line of text? I hope she has big tits and can cook because I'm guessing you didn't marry her for the engaging conversations.
>>
File: IMG_1775.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1775.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>52705020
Speaking of COIN games, we talked about them a couple threads ago. One of you anons gave me a quick rundown and some recommendations. I ended up buying Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001-. Just got it in the mail yesterday and read through the rules. Looks good and I can't wait to get it to the table.

Just got anted to say thanks anons.
>>
>>52705900
>I played Hero Realms for the 2nd time yesterday, and I can't help but feel the game is 80% luck dependent.
This was my biggest complaint when I gave my review here. I'm extremely high level at star realms and by comparison, hero realms is like a toddler trying to kill itself with household items.

>Does it get better the more you go on? or is this the core of the game?
No. Hero Realms is fundamentally flawed due to the changed economic structure, lack of proper "scrap" (I think HR calls it trash), and the overall poor balance to the game. Star Realms is completely the opposite in every way and is very very tight until you're high level at the game.

>Also how does it play in 1v1v1 and how does it compare to Star Realms Colony Wars?
Hero Realms should come with a disclaimer "Not for competitive play at all. Wait for our co-op campaign". Star Realms is the tightest of the three, with probably the best most balanced implementation of the conveyor belt method of drafting (trade row. vs the bulletin board of Dominion). Colony Wars is the best possible introduction to deckbuilding, as it's more fun than SR and teaches you the higher level strategies organically. CW does drop off faster though, as you grow out of the insane combos. HR is stillborn until they give us co-op. If you're wondering, the hero packs don't fix it, they make it worse.
>>
File: 71833.jpg (708KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
71833.jpg
708KB, 2048x1360px
>>52706980
Sigh, you got me there.

technically correct is the best kind of correct
>>
Games with focus on betrayal? not like "there's one guy who is a traitor" more like everyone can easily backstab everyone in the back. I feel like I need to lose some friends.
>>
>>52707921
Cutthroat Caverns
>>
>>52707749
That's a beautiful set you have there. Majestic, really.
>>
>>52708535
how does this compares to say so munchkin?
>>
>>52709043
Similar to say Cosmic, where it's a graduated/advanced version of the same type of negotiation/take that game. They're both quite a bit better than Munchkin because there's more content, and less about the humor selling the game; but both can fall into the same pit where if your group doesn't have that semi-party atmosphere it's not gonna hold up long term. If the people around your table have more fun screwing each other over in say Power Grid, it might not be for you. If say backstabbing/breaking alliances in Dune/not-Dune/AGoT seems appealing, it's a nice lighter option.
>>
>>52709176
thanks for the tip.
sometimes I wish language weren't a barrier for my play group.
>>
>>52709350
Sorry to hear that it is, what are the current favorites at your group's table?
>>
>>52707921
Rex, if you hit six players regularly.
Some text on cards means it's not wholly language-independent, though.
>>
>>52709705
basic stuff mostly (Munchkin, Catan, Carcassone), I know a guy who has more heavier stuff such as Caverna, Eldritch Horror with expansions, Marco Polo and Puerto Rico.
>>
So I'm kinda into Race for the Galaxy. It's pretty cool, graphic design notwithstanding. What are the essential expansions? What ones to avoid? I'm looking to keep it alive as long as possible at my table.
>>
>>52696714
Still here. No scan yet uber busy
>>
I've downloaded and been playing around on the Star Realms app this past week. If I went ahead and paid for the full version of the app, is there any reason to buy the physical copy of the game?
>>
>>52706818
I wish I could get my friends to play x-wing with me. I keep buying ships but I don't have anyone to fly them with and the closest game store is an hour away
>>
>>52707724
Can you explain to me what makes high level star realms so different from regular play? I just found the game last week and so I'm curious what you've learned about the game
>>
>>52707921
Diplomacy
>>
>>52711369
There's an entire blog for that simple but insanely deep question: https://megahaulin.wordpress.com

The long and short of it:
>Bottomdecking cards means less loops
>Scrap is king
>Flexible cards with scrap are usually better if you can't commit to a strategy
>There are strategy "types" which are combinations of elementary game functions. Example would be the Phalanx strategy of life gain + outpost defense for a slow burn. There are about 8 effective macrostrategies and they're all counterable.
>Damage is a trajectory. Once you have a winning damage trajectory, you calculate turns to win on average and see if you can beat your opponent.
>You try to "dead board" by buying your strategy and immediately stopping when everything is low-cost stuff in late-midgame to lategame.
>Sometimes you deliberately don't spend all your gold
>Taking 2+ cards a turn is usually bad but sometimes not
>Probability of winning changes based on opening trade row per player
>Sometimes you just stop buying altogether

This list is FUCKING ENDLESS.
>>
>>52711293
Mostly for playing with other players in your periphery over randoms, unless they have the full the app too.

>>52707724
I'm interested in knowing your opinion on Cthulhu Realms as a high level Star Realms player, if you mind. Found >>52711494 pretty interesting as I picked up on some of these from playing the app extensively.
>>
>>52707921
City of horror. Each player has multiple survivors in the midst of a zombie apocalypse.I have never enjoyed a game that had such backstabbing subterfuge, and the closest thing to hard feelings.
>>
>>52698400
Bit chaotic, but certainly enjoyable game. boardgamegeek.com has some good reviews of anything you might be interested in.
>>
>>52712058
I dunno. My gf played it and said it had more scrap. Which seems interesting? But the art style was vomit-worthy so I stayed away.
>>
Kemet isn't winning over my group.
>Lots of VP conditions to keep track of and constantly changing hands is not fun just really tedious

>Upgrade tiles are also really cumbersome

I need suggestions. I really don't wanna go back to Risk. Chaos in the Old World and Axis & Allies 1941 also didn't go so well.
>>
>>52712584
>Kemet is 2complicated
Uh. Hmm.
Cyclades is a little less fiddly?
>>
>>52707088
He's right and you're an idiot. 'Learn' here of course means understanding the different balance issues involved so you can make proper strategy choices.
>>
>>52710055
Race is good enough without any expansions.
>>
>>52712893
Maybe if you had to do some kind of god drafting beforehand. If you can't sit down with a god power, check your opponents and get on with it, then yes, you are a fucking retard and should be publicly lambasted as such.
>>
>>52712702
It actually pains me to say Kemet was too complicated for my group.

Anyways, how is combat resolved in Cyclades? I could not get ANYONE to add up their own strength value.

And I notice there are creatures. Is it acquired the same way as Kemet? I don't think anyone liked going through the booklet to understand any of the upgrades (or the divine intervention cards).
>>
>>52707111

But Labyrinth isn't a COIN game tho...

I have Fire in the Lake, but haven't played it yet. I've heard its the most complicated one of the series.
>>
>>52712584

If you're only looking for a "risk +" maybe you should try a game that's pretty much that ?

Conquest of Nerath is pretty much that. Dice chuckin and shit.
>>
>>52713045
>I could not get ANYONE to add up their own strength value.
Are you playing with potatoes?
>>
>>52701712

Not if you're working with machinery you don't!
>>
File: wmtte.jpg (510KB, 529x823px) Image search: [Google]
wmtte.jpg
510KB, 529x823px
>>52696699

That feel when this and Malta Besieged is out of print, because of some voodoo problems bullshit.

But if you want a dedicated solitaire game, I recommend something from State of Siege in general. Just pick whatever you fancy, except for Israeli Independence - that's the first and the least complex one.
>>
File: pic3102959_md.jpg (88KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
pic3102959_md.jpg
88KB, 500x330px
>>52712584

Try Risk: Europe. It's very different from Risk but also not too complicated.

Small World also tends to work well as a Risk replacement.
>>
>>52704810

I second this guy >>52705684
It's like Axis & Allies or Risk, but with less downtime and takes 2 hours tops.
>>
>>52712584
Quartermaster General?
>>
>>52713374
We played D&D for a year (every Thursday) and every session "what dice do I roll for attack?" and if I didn't explicitly say "quest" they were lost.

I wouldn't say "potatoes" just people who don't really care that much. They wouldn't be at the table if they could find something better to do.
>>
>>52713513
Damn man that sounds bad, I guess you have tried getting better players? I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of people to play with that if I invite anyone who doesn't care enough to pay attention I don't invite him / her never again
>>
>>52713538
>better players
I've considered it, but I've known these guys since middle school (15 years, god damn) and I don't want to just bail on them.

>>52713435
I've got 3 variants of Risk already, but I completely forgot about Small World and, from what I've seen, it looks like a nice fit for my group. Thanks.
>>
>>52713927
>I don't want to just bail on them
You can do other social activities with them, don't force them into boardgames if they are not interested in it. Maybe they are just playing along because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
Just get another group specifically for bgs
>>
>>52713959
Yeah, I suppose I should seriously consider finding another group.

We originally started as a 40k group until interest in that waned and then we shifted to D&D for a bit. Board games is kind of the end of the road for us--truthfully.
>>
>>52711293

Because playing multiplayer star realms is kinda clunky digitally.

Besides having a deck of Star Realms around is a great quick fix in between games when people are going for lunch or you're waiting on players to arrive for a game meetup organised.
>>
So all the Star Realms talk got me searching, and apparently all the images are available on the Star Realms website and some Spanish guy has them all gathered up for download.

Does anyone know of a fast way to set all the cards up in a 3x3 with crop marks?
>>
>>52714748
An imagemagick script. I'm sure you can find a free print and play copy online if you look hard enough.
>>
>>52714783
Someone uploaded a ready made PnP but its missing Colony Wars.
>>
>>52713280
Goddammit!
It's designed by the same dude who did all the other games, so I assumed it was COIN.

Welp, guess I have an excuse to buy more games.
>>
File: Untitled - Copy.png (219KB, 754x567px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled - Copy.png
219KB, 754x567px
It takes me about 10min to do a single page in GIMP and there are a lot of pages, doesn't this work just as fine?
I mean it sets them up all to the same size and keep the proportions right?
>>
File: 1466855938941.gif (613KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1466855938941.gif
613KB, 500x374px
Is there a game that has a "Paradox-like" feeling ?
I'm talking about a game that feels like eu4 or ck2, where you can win but not only by war.
If that game can take less than 5 hours it's also great.
>>
>>52715922
Asmodee's FFG's Sid Meyer's Civilizations with the expacs.
>>
>>52715922
>where you can win but not only by war.
>If that game can take less than 5 hours it's also great.
You'll have to be a bit more specific, because that's like every boardgame ever made.
>>
>>52715922
Cyclades or Inis I guess?
Dudes on map where fighting is needed but most of the time you can win with minimal amounts of bloodshed.
>>
File: eu4.jpg (82KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
eu4.jpg
82KB, 900x506px
>>52716013
I'm trying to find a game like pic related.
Where you can expand your power, but not by direct military means.
Example : political alliances , trading, paying mercenaries to some dude so he can smash your neighbour etc.

>>52716044
I have cyclades and played it a few times and hated it.
No depth, no trade, no diplomacy.
All in all apparently twilight imperium 3rd edition sounds like what i want, problem is you apparently need a whole day to play it and a big group of people.
>>
>>52716110
>problem is you apparently need a whole day to play it and a big group of people
Use the two-ring ruleset with four peeps, takes three hours at longest.
>>
File: MoM2nd.png (550KB, 700x397px) Image search: [Google]
MoM2nd.png
550KB, 700x397px
Can I get a quick rundown on Mansions of Madness 2nd edition?
>>
>>52715922
Well, friend of mine who used to play a lot of HoI 3 felt that Triumph&Tragedy was more or less that in boardgame format. That said, it's really only good at 3 players, war is almost assuredly going to break out, and it can run longer than five hours.
>>
>>52716205
It's fun with lots of theme but sometimes decision making is very simple (which of these unopened doors do I want to go through) or non existent. Tiles and pieces are very good quality, miniatures are poor quality.
Missions vary in difficulty and replayability but expansions and future "dlc" may help that.
It has an app.
>>
>>52707724
Got it, I'll go for Star Realms Colony Wars and see where I go from there.

The game plays like HR best at 2 possible at 3 and if you have another copy 4~6 right?
>>
Is there a fantasy equivalent to roll for the galaxy? i got it a while ago but never got around to playing it because the guy who host's wife does not "do" science fiction, and is a strict fantasy fangirl.
>>
>>52714090
How the fuck did they handle the mess of rules that is 40k and struggle with Kemet? Did they all receive lobotomies at some point in between?
>>
>>52717365
Maybe play with adults instead? Ones who can accept playing a game that isn't catering to their weirdly specific taste in set dressing?
>>
>>52717450
This

Sure you can prefer a setting, but to the complete refusal to play other genres is daft.
>>
>>52717365
What a pity, Roll for the Galaxy is a great game. I can see not caring for a particular style of game like 'deck builders', or 'Euros', or 'War games' due to their mechanics. But to pan it because it's S.F. and not Fantasy...

As for something close to RftG, there's this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/192135/too-many-bones

But I'm not even sure if it's on the market yet. Hope that helps.
>>
>>52717721
It was at Gencon last year, I think they're between print runs on it; important to note Chip Theory charges a lot for their games.
>>
>>52715139
Wait...wait. Oh my FUCK

I've been doing them as a 4x2 landscape for as long as I've printed cards. You mean to tell me there's a way to get a 9th card on there?
>>
>>52717300
Oh yeah HR is 4P out of the box. SR requires two copies. My advice: get one of each. You only need two copies of any star realms. Due to starter cards.
>>
>>52712584
Memoir 44
>>
File: vp8jU5X.gif (789KB, 444x272px) Image search: [Google]
vp8jU5X.gif
789KB, 444x272px
>>52719896
>when you have enough people to run an Overlord scenario
Love Memoir
>>
>>52719961
I should get you guys a picture of a Heroes of Normandie overlord setup.
>>
>>52720116
Not enough dice
>>
>>52717789
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the other anon finds something that his friend's wife will play. I have no idea if the game play is actually any good, but it did strike me as the 'fantasy' version of something that might fit the bill.
>>
File: City01.jpg (524KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
City01.jpg
524KB, 1200x900px
>>52720116
Yeah, I'm going to have to do a big-ass HoN game one of these long weekends. Looking at getting the compendium for HoN as well.
>>
File: thumbs_up.jpg (22KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs_up.jpg
22KB, 398x500px
>>52721795
Alright, that looks pretty awesome. I don't know if a playfield so big would work for a system for squad-based combat (at least so I've heard).

Still, if you would offer me to try it, I would say yes.
>>
File: roll player.jpg (364KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
roll player.jpg
364KB, 1024x768px
>>52721749
I'm really digging the idea of dice placement the last year, so I did a little looking into it and got a quick demo at the con, it was nice but for the cost I wasn't sold. $125 is way over what I'd do for a game I haven't played at least twice and gotten a feel for. Roll Player is the one I'm looking at instead, though I didn't get more than a quick peek over someone's shoulder when I was at WYC two weeks back.
>>
>>52722112
I played this and loved it. unfortunately I got 41 pts on my first go so I can't bring myself to play anymore.
>>
>>52722347
It's the most appealing to me, just how meta the theme is (it's also helped by ANA pricing Kingsburg even higher, and Game Salute being evil so AF is out) but the longevity does worry me a bit.
>>
>>52722392
Why are Game Salute evil?
>>
>>52722810
I was being hyperbolic; they've had some bad KS that screwed over customers, and refused to sell to any OGS so they could keep prices at full MSRP no matter where you got their games, but they're not too atrocious. Pretty much every publisher has more than a few skeletons in dealing with customers these days, seems the autism exists at all levels of the hobby.
>>
>>52722854
sorry what's an OGS? English is not my first language so I am probably missing something obvious
>>
>>52723037
Online game store, they've since relaxed it, but the policy for a long time was don't let anyone like Coolstuff/Miniature Market/etc sell their games, and keep limit to their own website and amazon storefront so they could charge full price. Again it's not evil, but it's not exactly customer friendly
>>
>>52723116
>keep it limited
My grammar is terrible today, I re-typed that 3 times and still got it wrong
>>
>>52723116
Thanks. I've only bought a couple KS things, but I've read in the rules that the items are not supposed to be sold in online stores, at least right after the KS. And that they are not supposed to be finished but in development. What the hell am i missing here?
>>
>>52723193
KS policy is about not scalping, I'm talking more about something like Alien Frontiers which came out in 2010, but I couldn't get from coolstuff in 2014/2015. That's not protection against scalpers (like KD:M ebay reselling) or dumping your game onto amazon 3rd party sellers when it turns out you fleeced your KS backers; that's just not wanting to let me bargain shop.
>>
>>52722004
It would be to large for a typical 'two player' game, but if you had teams of 2 v 2 or 3 v 3, turns could easily be handled.
>>
File: feel.gif (8KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feel.gif
8KB, 645x773px
i was going to go to a board game Meetup this week but I think my social anxiety is gonna win this one and I won't go.
>>
>>52724095
Fuck that mate, push yourself otherwise you'll never get better.
>>
>>52724095
Everytime I feel like staying home and someone/something pushes me to go out, I never regret it and end up enjoying it.

We're all gonna make it brah.
>>
>>52724095
they will be welcoming
I know I would be
And you would be as well
>>
>>52724095
Proper hygiene, be on time, be courteous, be mindful, add to the conversation and respond when necessary.

Simply put: don't be "that guy".

If you follow those simple rules then you should be fine. You'll probably still come off as shy, but you'll also be totally inoffensive--which is great.
>>
File: 20170415_190426 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_190426 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
So I finally had free time today, started in on working on the map instead of just playing around on boxes. The red is more or less where the start/finish line is going to be, and I'm gonna work around/outwardly following rainbow order more or less. It went on quite easy, but the first layer of stars instead of just hitting that nebula area went off like a shotgun from the brush and hit 2/3 the map. Orange has two coats already (forgot how big a pain it is to build it off anything but white or brown) and will prolly need another. I ripped up a bit of the base color on that cloud just by scrubbing in the color the the point it pulled down to the white and muddied up the paint, brush prolly wasn't dry enough between coats. Not sure how much more will get done tonight, each time I work on one of these while I wait for paint to dry I have to queue up some Bob Ross to remind me I didn't make a mistake, just a happy little accident, and crack another beer so I stop obsessing about quality.
>>
>>52724095
Push yourself and give it a go, think of all the games you can get going once you know some people.
>>
>>52724095
do it. I found friends by going to one of those
>>
>>52722112
>it was nice but for the cost I wasn't sold. $125 is way over what I'd do for a game I haven't played at least twice and gotten a feel for.

Lord! I had no idea it was that damn expensive. That's nuts. I've looked at their site and it's a nice game, but I'm dubious that it's $125 worth of nice. Roll Player looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>52726888
Yeah Chip Theory are pretty overpriced for my mind. I get that they're using really nice art, and the poker chips are quality (which aren't exactly cheap) and all the other components are well done, but still. Hoplomachus is like $55 for the smallest core set, $250 for the whole series. Heck just a set of gladiator chips (no health just their top piece) is $20 The adventure map for Too Many Bones (just a visualization of what day you're on and how many til boss time) they hit you for $15.
>>
>>52725270
Looks fantastic anon, I'm really excited to see the finished product
>>
File: 20170415_232359 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_232359 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>52728166
So am I, especially because I realized I'm not going to paint much of the track at all (it'll get a start/finish line, some starting blocks, and maybe the item box locations) so once the tape comes off it'll be 99% done. The yellow came in so well that I ditched the beer, and did two more clouds tonight, blue just went on about 3 minutes ago. It's turning out better than I expected, maybe not quite as good as in my head, but my artistic talents trend away from the visual so anything that looks better than a 3rd grader finger painting is a success.
>>
>>52724095
Did you ever make it out your front door anon?
>>
>>52717300
>>52718424
Play Star Realms a lot. With the size of the core deck and Colony Wars combined it works for 4 players easily. It's a bitch to shuffle, even worse with all the pack expansions. But still a hell of a lot of fun to play. A coworker has his set on him every day just in case we all stop after work for a bite and a game.

He's a real dick sometimes (especially during co-op campaigns), I hate playing against him, but it's satisfying to beat him if I get to.
>>
I played Settlers of Catan for the first time last night and I got destroyed pretty hard against my friends who have been playing it for years.

Is there anywhere to play online or singleplayer or whatever so I can practice on my own and get the jist of it before I play again with my friends?
>>
File: TBC.jpg (1MB, 2295x1494px) Image search: [Google]
TBC.jpg
1MB, 2295x1494px
Pssst, hey /bgg/, want some contraband?

Here's a Vassal module I made around 2 years ago for solo game "The Barbarossa Campaign" by Victory Point Games.

The mildly interesting thing is that I put it together using files found on BGG - map pictures, token sheets, etc. The two biggest hurdles in creation were cards and event tables.

Thankfully somebody uploaded their graphical redesign of cards on BGG. The event tables are currently available in PDF on VPG site, but 2 years ago I had to use a photo of them from BGG as reference.

Maybe some of you Anons will enjoy it enough to buy the real thing. Have fun.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2owt4trdlaqazue/The_Barbarossa_Campaign

Deleted previous post, because I uploaded 6 mb png instead of 1.3 mb jpg.
>>
>>52731469
>Deleted previous post, because I uploaded 6 mb png instead of 1.3 mb jpg.
Fuck phonesposters.
>>
>>52694931
is the ezbuy.org guy still here?
i'm anxious to see how things turned out
>>
>>52731617
I'm here, though it's an app, not .org. Stuff seems to be on their way, probably will take 3-5 days though.
>>
File: 1421255397377.gif (2MB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
1421255397377.gif
2MB, 384x216px
Just cleaned up my most recent game night. We're so close to the end of Seafall but it's getting to be torture. The glory distribution is so arbitrary and the snowballing is getting so hard for decisions made during game 1, and all the really awkward design flaws are starting to drive us mad. Why does it take an enmity token to activate a colony? Why would you shit on the raid master's resources to have him hold a colony? What do these 2 things have to do with eachother?

We also played Chinatown. It was a lot of fun. Very simple game but our group loved the trading and deal making, getting pretty intensely into it. Makes me think maybe the group WOULD like Millennium Blades. I'm gonna try playing it at my birthday bash coming up given that means I get to choose the games. I mean I already get to choose the games being it's my house and I get all the snacks and food, but I try not to be selfish with the game picks.
>>
>>52731788
Seafall is a bad game anon, it just really sucks.
>>
>>52730815
Settlers is simple: make sure you have several different resources covered or you have a near-monopoly on one of them. Then you will do decent. Keep in my that in Settlers, no matter how good a player you are or how genius your strategy is, the dice will fuck you up.
>>
I finally got to try out Hive Pocket yesterday and it's a lot more complex than I thought. Do any of you have any tips for a Hive beginner?
>>
>>52702926
Do you think it's worth it buying a copy of Skull or is it not worth it since all you're doing is paying for decorated coasters?
>>
Friday is being sold on Amazon for $5.05 plus $4.82 for shipping. Should I jump on this?
>>
>>52733810
You can just pay with a deck of cards if you want. The coasters are cool, but not worth full retail. Maybe if you find a deep discount.
>>
>>52732297
Yeah, we figured that out, but we're too invested to drop it and still get some laughs at our dumb advisor deck names and such. I think one of the most baffling design decisions is putting all the big stuff behind research and giving one player the benefit of being the research master. Now he has 3 of the 4 veteran titles and can get anything he wants from the temple and like 6 glory while I've been in the temple 3 times using all my resources and walk out with nothing but materials I can't spend before the game ends and a pity glory.
>>
>>52733108
Surround the queen as fast as you can
t. not actually played yet
>>
>>52734064
Sadly, I figured this game had to be pretty bad when Vassel and crew gave it such a poor 'final' review and noted that they couldn't even convince themselves to finish the whole campaign.
>>
>>52734585
After seeing that final review I went back and watched all their previous spoiler filled ones; convinced me Daviau got lucky with Risk Legacy and Pandemic was strong enough to support the system but he's not much of a designer on his own.
>>
>>52730424
You're forgetting starter cards, like I said.
>>
>>52734585
>>52735534
I was a little more optimistic because after the 4th or 5th game, we were still having fun and didn't agree entirely with their problems. Enmity rules weren't too hard and you were changing a decent deal of permanent shit from game to game. Everything went spiraling mad after the 5th and 6th box I think? The bias towards exploration and research became painfully apparent once they stopped giving mile stones for anyone.
>>
>>52733888
Building off of this question, tokaido is listed for $10, is that a good deal?
>>
>>52737297
Very comfy game, it'd be a great deal, but I'd bet heavy money that seller is a Chinese scammer, don't buy it.
>>
>>52737680
I did a little more digging and it turns out that you were right, thanks anon. Was able to cancel my order in time.
>>
>>52737797
It's something to be aware of these days, couple years back you might see 3rd party sellers dump product they couldn't move. Amazon has since changed policies on how easy it is to open an account, and it's caused an explosion in scammers; the A-Z refund ensures you get your money back, but it takes a while and during the 30 days when payment has cleared and been sent, the scammer can loot amazon and cc companies for quite a bit. Then they just open a new account with a fresh IP and address and do it all over again.

TLDR: if you see anything on Amazon for 50% less than the average price, check the seller, they'll be new/have no ratings, and are a scammer.
>>
>>52737898
Solid advice, thanks again
>>
File: kids v2.png (2MB, 1570x1534px) Image search: [Google]
kids v2.png
2MB, 1570x1534px
Bumping with the kid rec pic, anyone got suggestions I've missed?
>>
>>52730815
Either decide from the beginning if you want to focus on getting wood and brick and expand quickly to get longest road and building all of your settlements or focus on stone and wheat and focus more on building cities and development cards
>>
File: 20170416_182712 - Copy.jpg (802KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_182712 - Copy.jpg
802KB, 3264x1836px
>>52728504
Added the purple last night, and then the red/orange have gone on this evening now that family has cleared out and there's time to be left alone again. Realized halfway through putting on the red I hadn't smoothed the tape out and made sure it was tight against the caulk, prolly going to have a couple small bits that have to be gone over with black for tight edges on the track when I'm finished. Not sure if the pictures do a good job showing the colors, but the yellow and orange look quite a bit duller on my screen than in person. Still debating going over a few of the clouds once they're all laid in to help brighten sections and push the white dots further back for depth illusion.
>>
File: splendor.jpg (1MB, 2136x1424px) Image search: [Google]
splendor.jpg
1MB, 2136x1424px
Do you ever open a box and feel a twinge of disappointment for paying $40 for what's inside?
>>
>>52740756
You've bought an empty box mate
>>
File: bios genesis.png (1MB, 680x1133px) Image search: [Google]
bios genesis.png
1MB, 680x1133px
Should I back this? It's on Kickstarter right now.
>>
>>52740868
I was really hoping this game was about engineering bioweapons.
>>
>>52740607
I don't get it. What's going on here? What are you building? I've read the first post that I've found but I still don't get it.
>>
>>52741063
Short version: canvas base, ALEX caulk to create a paintable/stiff/smooth surface, taped out a 3'x3' square, then laid more tape for a Mario Kart style track, I'm painting the map while leaving the track black. It's a casual format for X-wing and an anon here was interested in it so I've been giving him updates.

>>52740756
It's a problem with eurogames using the same basic box dimensions. Leave the insert in, it's really well designed and at least it doesn't LOOK empty when it's all together.
>>
What are the best board games that can be played easily via Tabletop Simulator?
>>
File: 20160716_174300 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160716_174300 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>52741196
Finally found a pic of a finished mat in this method I've done previous, this one was a proof of concept, just to test out how it works. 3'x6' planned out but I had to rob a few inches off each dimension once I laid in the 1" grid. Simple aerial graphics for doing war gaming (in this case it was a Dawn Patrol map for my brother in law). Since it was simpler and the longest part was laying in the 1" grid lines I got it done over the course of a weekend, caulked Friday afternoon, last grid line/matte varnish went on Sunday evening, cut it after it'd dried overnight.
>>
Can anybody give me impressions about Don't Turn Your Back? Anything you want to say about it.
>>
>>52740756
This pic is why I'm printing a copy of splendor and fuck that shitty game's quality. Poker fucking chips instead of acrylic gems, I swear.
>>
>>52742335
Nothing wrong with poker chips, the bigger issue is they're not good clay chips, but cheap plastic ones.
>>
>>52742335
To be fair the poker chips feel very good. But yeah, gems are more thematic.
>>
>>52742804
If they're going to charge $40 MSRP for what comes in that box, they better pimp everything out.
Argent charges $60, gives you 100+ cards, cardboard tiles, minis, AND little plastic gems and coins.
>>
>>52742993
Oh no question it's a bit overpriced for the production, but that's how the industry at large (and especially Asmodee) are going right now. I often hear the apologists saying you're not just paying for the product but also the designer's time/playtesting/etc, but when your game is literal distillation of engine building, that's not years of design work, that's just recognizing what works and boiling it down to it's core. Plus there are loads of publishers who give you better bang for buck.

This is also why I'm at the point in my gaming life where I'm only buying during sales, and if I can learn to make something like the caulk/canvas maps, I will.
>>
>>52743086
Splendor really feels like the engine to a bigger game.
>>
>>52743105
I actually like that it's just an engine; it lets you use it as a gateway game and teach the concept to new gamers. Plus it's a good break from heavy involved games, without being a complete turn your brain off affair.
>>
>>52743136
I didn't say that's bad. It's just an observation. Maybe it can be used sometime in the future.
>>
>>52741196
>>52741337
When you're finished will you be able to roll the map up to make storing and transporting it easier?
>>
Has anyone played arsenal arena combat? What are your thoughts on it? I really want to find a game about fighting robots and this is one game I've been looking into. I know about Battletech but it's out of stock online so that's not an option at the moment.
>>
Reading this thread about Star Realms, what would you all suggest buying first: the original or colony wars? I've been playing around on the app so I'm familiar with the game but is there one that's better than the other?
>>
>>52743345
Just get the original man, it is like 12 bucks. My wife doesn't like deck building games but she loved Star Realms, it is that good.
>>
>>52743218
Would be interesting; the North Sea trilogy had potential to do something like this, but sadly only 1/3 of them were really good enough to warrant buying.

>>52743240
Yup, once it's finished with paint I hit it with matte varnish to protect against water and then it's more or less like other playmats. The wave on the edge of the large map pictured, would flatten out after about a minute. That picture was taken like 20 sec after I laid it out after it'd been rolled up for 5 or 6 days.

There are a few different concerns compared to say mousepad style mats, or the yoga mat style where the image is screen printed onto a foam. The caulk can be cut into by anything sharp (including fingernails) and if you really press into it, especially if it's wet, you can leave hand imprints or whatever. Upside is they're pretty cheap if you've got the paints/tape, total cost on this one is gonna be $10 for the canvas, $5-6 for the caulk. I'm gonna grab a PVC pipe and some caps from the hardware store later, use it to store 3-4 of these tracks, and maybe a 3x6 simple black star field (if I ever do epic format it'd be nicer than setting two mats side by side).
>>
File: IMG_9035.jpg (453KB, 1920x1398px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9035.jpg
453KB, 1920x1398px
Anon who had the 3D printed tanks and ships for Diplomacy here. Thanks to the huge tax refund of $31 (perks of being a graduate student) from the government I went and bought all the spray paint I should need to paint everything. Probably will have to wait until next weekend to paint them but hopefully it'll be a quick and simple process as long as Murphy doesn't have anything to say about it
>>
>>52743571
Map maker here, that can of matte finish is going to become your sworn ally in all endeavors from now on. Not just your 3d printed plastics, but any mini (plastic/pewter/other white metal) tokens, tiles, heck you can spray boards if you're really in the mood to spill proof (more like protect really) your games. Also it will murder you at the drop of a hat, don't breathe in whatever you do and stand upwind.
>>
>>52743571
Oh good. You did decide to spray paint them rather than do all 208 by hand. Get an old pizza box or something to put the tape on, and then test a few with each of the colors to see how they do.
>>
>>52743783
I was torn on the matter because spending more on paint than the game was a turn off but using my tax refund on the paint justifies it for me. Thanks again for the suggestion.

>>52743715
Would you recommend not using the matte at all? I'm wanting to avoid having the paint chip off of the pieces while being used and to protect them from any unforeseeable problem. If there is something else that can do the job better or if my concerns aren't warranted, I'd be open to suggestions. This is the first time I've ever done something like this so advice from those more experienced than me would be much appreciated.
>>
>>52744354
No no, you want that matte, it'll give the pieces a really nice protective coat. Best stuff in the world, I've got a full box of SDE that I painted, it's not in foam or anything and never a paint chip hauling it around. Also a half-orc monk for my PFS sessions, he sits in one of those plastic boxes they sell poly 7 dice sets in, rattles around all the time at cons in my bag and no damage to him at all. More than that I dunno how to describe it other than when you've got a mini/playing piece that's painted it looks ok, and you might be even really happy with it, when you hit it with the finish it'll look wet and you'll think huh, is that it? Then it dries and the mini is just clearly DONE. They look better, even when I wasn't happy with a paint job the varnish sort of finishes it off so all the minor imperfections are a little harder to see. I'll see if I can't find a before/after image; I don't often do WIP pics but there might be one or two from SDE when I was texting my sister who harped on me for spending all that money on paints.
>>
>>52744620
Ok I got it, thank you for your advice, hopefully I can avoid royally messing everything up thanks to you and >>52743783
>>
>>52743571
I had that matte finish can. Ran out recently. It gave some heft to some of my chit projects.
>>
File: 20160104_194601 - Copy.jpg (574KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_194601 - Copy.jpg
574KB, 1836x3264px
>>52744670
Found a midway/finish couple pics of Rex, he was the first mini I did beginning to end. So he's mostly done here, and yeah there's red on the bandage inside his hand, and on the chain, and on one of his spines, but the colors are basically there and he looks...... ok I guess? Nothing special, and I'd never done any painting outside of forced art classes in elementary school. Everything about him was kinda ho-hum (though the potato picture doesn't help).
>>
File: 20160108_164204 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160108_164204 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>52744915
So here he is again, cleaned up a bit, and post varnish (it's the lefter, the right one I messed up on the plaque on the teeth for his club). Everything about him that was meh, looks cleaner, better, even though all I did was spray some of that Krylon on it; he didn't get any further washes, just a couple quick fixes where paint had gotten on wrong parts, and blacked his eyes. When I pull him outta the box now he doesn't look professional, but he looks like a legit playing piece, not something a 3yr old did, and I kid you not I was so unhappy with him til he finished drying and everything just had a better feel to it.
>>
>>52744915
>>52744965
Very interesting! I now see what you were saying about the matte making things look better, I'll be sure to keep this in mind
>>
File: 20170416_235555 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_235555 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>52745043
Like I said, sworn ally; protects your pieces and makes whatever you do look better. Also gives them a nicer feel, since the varnish is basically liquid plastic and smoother than whatever texture the paint has.

In other news I finished the initial clouds and stars; tomorrow I'll prolly give a few of them a quick second coat to brighten the color and push back some of the white spray so there's more depth.
>>
>>52745164
Is this ever going to not look like shit? no offense
>>
>>52745606
None taken, I peeled up some of the tape on a corner, it looks pretty cool with the black track underneath; right now it's just a mess because there's no definition to it and the outer edge of plain canvas adds to the mess. If you've never seen some of the spraypaint space maps done, they look all sorts of weird while in progress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDvPpmnX-Qw
>>
File: 20161117_174710_zpsv4ac12gl.jpg (226KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
20161117_174710_zpsv4ac12gl.jpg
226KB, 800x600px
>>52745715
Also I dunno if you've seen what I'm up against for how people generally run this format, but pic related is pretty representative. I wanna have something a bit more than just a black sheet of board with blue painters tape on it. Granted mine started out as nothing more than black painted caulk with blue painters tape, but it's all part of the plan.
>>
>>52743136
>>52743105
Splendor is the kind of game that's only fun if you're playing a much more skilled opponent.

There's an online bot that plays halfway decent, even if in a stupidly unimaginative way: https://spendee.mattle.online/
>>
>>52733108
>Do any of you have any tips for a Hive beginner?
You'll have to consider your moves in terms of offensive vs defensive. You'll want to aim offensive most of the time as on defense you can't make any gain in ground. Put out your bugs early and strategically so you don't end up needing to waste turns in the future bringing them in (if it can be done). Offensively, the most useful tip is to know how to disable their pieces. Take advantage of the "hive must remain in one piece" rule and use hoppers and soldiers to form appendages to hold down your opponent's pieces.

Place your queen on your third/fourth turn once you have a small defense stationed. Spiders I've found are good early establishment for Hive structure but not good pieces in themselves. Hoppers and Soldiers are the beasts while Beetles can be a great weapon to shut down what's below them.
>>
File: 0UFVEdj.png (225KB, 1305x908px) Image search: [Google]
0UFVEdj.png
225KB, 1305x908px
>>52735534
>Daviau got lucky with Risk Legacy
Risk is what remains in the pot after you completely boil an area control game, all Davaiau had to do was add water.
And Pandemic Legacy is garbage, all the fucking new shit which isn't "oh you won/lost this time" is unaffected by the player at least that';s what i've heard
>>
>>52748334
You know what, I'll be the asshole who defends Pandemic Legacy. It's not Risk Legacy which was open ended in how you unlock stuff, but the campaign style worked for a coop. It kept you on your toes, made stuff harder for you if you kept winning, but kept giving you a variety of upgrades to choose from to offer up more strategy. It not being exactly like Risk Legacy isn't a bad thing and isn't really criticism.
>>
>>52743345
Go for colony wars. Its more aggressive and fun. Original feels bland after colony wars.
>>
>>52748479
Legacy was a mistake.
Coop was a mistake.
>>
since this is mostly now a star realms thread:
Does anyone have any recommendations for storing and backing all the cards for both SR, CW and all the expansions including all 4 unity packs?

I have a few select folk who love this game but I worry about carrying it around too much and getting damage. Would love a solution to just have them nicely filtered and stored in one fat box.

Ideas?
>>
>>52748961
>both SR, CW and all the expansions including all 4 unity packs
Mistake. Play only colony wars.
>>
>>52748859
Posting was a mistake.
>>
File: Summer1943.jpg (689KB, 1530x996px) Image search: [Google]
Summer1943.jpg
689KB, 1530x996px
>>52731469
1 VP away from winning.

It's all downhill from here.
>>
>>52731469
Thanks!
>>
>>52719961
>not playing Overlord as a 1v1
>not playing superior breakthrough instead
>>
Fucking raging that Tide of Iron got killed off
>>
>>52751655
What was it like? Looked cool if a little expensive.
>>
>>52749463
Why?
>>
File: 20170417_115120 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170417_115120 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>52745164
Well I dunno if other people will like it; but I decided stop while I'm ahead, lest I screw something up. Touched up the purple in the bottom this morning let it dry and peeled the tape off just a minute ago. I've gotta clean up some of the black still, and there needs to be a lap line and some starting blocks added but it's got form again.
>>
>>52751884
what is this for?
>>
>>52752028
Mario Kart X-Wing
>>
File: SNES_Rainbow_Road.png (80KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_Rainbow_Road.png
80KB, 1024x1024px
>>52752028
X-wing Mario Kart track I wanted to create the original Rainbow Road but the idea of painting all those stripes turned me off, so it's now gonna be Nebula Nexus
>>
>>52751682
More tactical and less random Memoir 44 with nicer minis, functional transport vehicles, different tank types and squad customization.
>>
>>52752122
So closer to Heroes of Normandie?
>>
>>52752309
Never played Heroes of Normandie I'm afraid.
>>
>>52752052
Yeah, that would have been a heck of a chore to hand paint. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product myself. I think your nebula background should look OK with the black track.
>>
>>52751884
Now all you have to do is paint on your important stripes and you're good to go. (Bonus points if you paint in a few 'cracks' in your racing surface.) :)
>>
>>52752404
If your problem with Memoir is the limited customization and too much random from the dice chucking HoN is right up your alley. It's still light (2d6 for attacks) but units have modifiers for attack/defense, terrain, and you get to build your own armies. It's tiles not minis, but it's still basically a miniatures war game just with cardboard instead of plastic.

>>52752437
Yeah I'm lazy, and I mean I know it doesn't look amazing, but I've got 10yr old level paint skills, so I'm ok with it.

>>52752462
I don't have to do any cracks, if you get up close to it you can see some of the spots where the caulk ended up less than smooth. I'm debating adding the item boxes too; but I've decided for obstacles we're gonna let each racer pick one and place it, then roll an attack die for whether it starts "on" or "off". It'll swap each round, so they can simulate the thwomps from actual Mario Kart
>>
>>52752527
I have no problems with Memoir, I absolutely love the game and have about 10 expansions for it.
Tide of Iron was always a great change of pace from the randomness of Memoir though, and I'm disappointed they killed it off before 1A reprinted the Africa expansion or made the rumored pacific one.
>>
File: 2ed Investigators.jpg (250KB, 799x978px) Image search: [Google]
2ed Investigators.jpg
250KB, 799x978px
Finished my 2nd edition MoM Investigators, so I've got the whole lot I have finished up.

Pretty excited to get these guys to the table fully painted when I get the chance.

1/2
>>
File: FullSet.jpg (1013KB, 1200x1953px) Image search: [Google]
FullSet.jpg
1013KB, 1200x1953px
>>52752583
and the whole collection

2/2
>>
>>52752571
Gotcha, well HoN is still really good; if we can summon STEEV he can wax poetic on it almost as much as he can with TI3

>>52752583
>>52752604
Quality work anon, love seeing stuff like this posted
>>
any good new releases coming out?
>>
>>52753996
News is always slow this time of year, but right now seems extra desolate.
>>
>>52754454
It's the painful part of the convention season. No one wants to just announce stuff, they want to do it at a big convention.
>>
>>52754867
I don't see why. The internet is a far larger network that spreads more quickly. Then you just do it again at the convention, this time with demos. There, now you benefit from both.
>>
>>52754867
Eh we got a lot of previews at GAMA, but the videos that get put out are so boring it's almost not worth sorting through for what's coming.
>>
Do any of you have a link to all the leaked cards from Carcossa expansion to Arkham Horror LCG?
Can't find it anywhere, thanks!
>>
>>52755090
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3lKP7DKl7QVG1XbE1RNnhkbFU/view

That should be the right one.
>>
>>52751884
How wide is the track? It looks like it can fit two, maybe three ships side by side
>>
>>52756405
Depends on the section, the straightaway is 2.5-3 ships wide, most of the horizontal sections are 2 wide, the split at the end is 1.25-1.5 ship bases wide. I kinda wanted it to be up close knife fight more than some of the tracks people make where you're all spread out. I'm thinking without checkpoints ship destruction will just be handled kinda like in PitchCar, where you just get put to the side and come back on where you were next turn, but it'll require some playing around to see what works best. Thinking that high agility might beat high attack, which would be fine by me, since a lot of reports I've read on the format the low end T-70 is amazing on lots of courses with boost and good stat balance. It'd be more fun for me if a-wings and TIEs are the preferred ship on this one, since the next map will have more options to avoid fighting.
>>
>>52755750
Thanks love
>>
I was looking at the game mascarade but it looks like it's similar to coup, which I already have. Is this a fair assessment or are the games a lot more different than it appears?
>>
>>52756883
Kind of similar, but the penalties for being caught lying are far less severe. It's also more of a party game.
>>
Only thing I got played over the weekend was the into case for Watson & Holmes, which the wife got me for my birthday. Quite fun, but man is it quiet at the table. Socially, it felt like playing an exceptionally solitaire euro. Hopefully the more complicated cases and inclusion of the character cards helps turn up the heat.

>>52752704
I need to load back up on wax, I haven't gotten HoN to the table in too long.

>>52756883
It's certainly got some similarities to coup, but it plays very differently, there's lots of room for both in the same collection. Plus the art is 10/10.
>>
What's the best empire building game out there?
I wanna gather resources and have workers and build buildings and advance technologies and have armies and move on a map for territories.
Does such a thing exist in a fantasy setting? Or any setting?
I was looking at Runewars but it doesn't really have workers or buildings....
>>
I bought little heart beads to replace the boring red cubes in my copy of Love Letter
>>
File: love letter.jpg (137KB, 600x461px) Image search: [Google]
love letter.jpg
137KB, 600x461px
>>52757744
Speaking of Love Letter, I recently obtained a copy of the special wedding edition.
>>
>discovering there's a class board game cafe half an hour away from me

2.50 quid for the entire day and playing any games that they have or bringing your own.
Have a whole day of Memoir 44 ahead of me tomorrow.
>>
>>52758166
One of the cooler things AEG has done; although I find it hard to top them just giving away some of the special edition Trains maps when you bought the game at cons last year.
>>
What's /bgg/'s opinion on the Condottiere rules debate for 2nd edition vs 3rd edition? Is the 3rd edition version worth even trying out or would it be better to just play with 2nd edition rules?
>>
>>52757070
Kemet might be what you're looking for in the Fantasy genre. As for Sci-Fi, there's a ton of games like Eclipse / Exodus, or if you really want grand strategy and empire building you could go with Twilight Imperium 3.
>>
>>52757070
I dunno about empire building, but there's plenty of civ building games; TtA is the gold standard but long and best played with 2-3 so it's not as competitive as smaller games that work with more people. Nations is ok, but looks absolutely disgusting, Imperial Settlers is something of a civ builder too, cutesy but mean. Clash of Cultures has you take a single settlement all the way to empire status, that might be what you're looking for?

On the sci-fi side..... Eminent Domain maybe? Eclipse? Fantasy.... anon might be right with Kemet, or Cyclades if that's more your style.
>>
File: 20170417_221400 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170417_221400 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>52752052
>>52751884
So I got the lap line and starting blocks without incident, but pulled the tape surrounding the item boxes too soon, the acrylic was still plasticky and peeled up completely on a few corners taking all the paint down to the white caulk, quick fix with some black, tamp it down, and the varnish hopefully will seal it in the morning, but I'm saying this is a "finished product". Ships added to the pic for scale, and when I finally get a chance to play a game (which considering the last time I did this format was 5+ weeks ago who knows) I'll come back with a battle report.
>>
>>52761324
Very impressive, that looks really great. Can you share the video that shows the techniques of how to make your own mat? I've been trying to look back in past threads but I can't find it
>>
>>52763060
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRMoIZfPPg
I found it one day when trying to find a cheaper alternative to paying $80 for a map with 1" grid overlay. Even screenprinted on felt costs a fortune for something simple these days if it's gaming related. Luckily there's plenty of grognards out there who're cheaper than I am and more inventive.
>>
I want to play Catan but I don't want to pay 80 kangaroo dollars.

I'm collecting and editing cards and tiles to print myself but has anyone done and collated it all already?
>>
>>52763641
Not my style, but you might find it in one of the pdf share threads. If you're crazy enough you can make the whole game for the cost of a single 2x4 (and a bunch of time and tools required)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cumiGLimLNw
>>
>>52703923
>Less than 50 plays in so I can't comment too much on replayability,

this word means different things to different people apparently
>>
>>52763762
Thanks guy
>>
>>52763783
It's a 10 minute game, 50 plays isn't all that much considering.
>>
File: ECG.jpg (213KB, 790x1061px) Image search: [Google]
ECG.jpg
213KB, 790x1061px
So I got the base box, what's imbalanced? And how many expansions must I buy and spend tops before it becomes good?
>>
>>52764393
Fuck it I just bought the other eight booster pack thingies it might possibly be the cheapest Cube I ever bought.
>>
>>52757070
4x games are the closest you'll get, and most of those are scifi.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is ok. It's a fantasy themed 4X-lite. It has
>resources
>workers
>buildings
>tech
>map
But probably not to the depth you want.

There isn't a videogame-depth 4x boardgame because that would be tedious and nobody would buy it.
>>
>>52763783
Just don't play ameritrash 'thematic' games, problem solved.
>>
>>52764615
Are you suggesting Euros are shorter? I disagree. There's more variety of playtime, maybe, but plenty of euros have long playtimes. All the heavy ones, obvs. I guess there's something to be said that if a euro has a long playtime it's because it's a deep game, whereas some thematic games have long playtimes because they're padded out with mechanics that take time but have few choices or obvious choices.

I'd say they're more replayable in the sense there's more gamestates that you're likely to see, as they tend to be more balanced with more viable strategies.
However actually getting a game to the table is also a factor in replayability, and often more thematic games will see more playtime in groups with inconsistent membership. I'm always happy to play the pretty game and not have to think too hard and shoot the shit.

All games are fun. I like games.
>>
>>52764508
>>52764393

If you want to play constructed, then remember that you need 3 boxes of each pack.
>>
fresh thread, and it's time for bed
>>52765104
>>52765104
>>
File: chamberlain_kark.png (611KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
chamberlain_kark.png
611KB, 500x700px
>>52764393
>>52764508
Just this.

He's hella fucked tho dude.

But at least the rest of the entire game is fine.

Kark is from Uprising.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.