[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 24

File: ocd triggering general.jpg (563KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
ocd triggering general.jpg
563KB, 1024x682px
Last thread
>>52765104
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

So we've talked storage before, but I can't remember if there's ever been a discussion on organization. Once you've got those boring samey kallax shelves how do you have your games on them? Order of purchase, alphabetical, genre; do you just stuff them in together like Tetris fitting in as much as you can wherever? What about all the other things that go hand in hand with gaming (dice, stuff to write on, paint/glue, playmats, spare bits) do you have those stuffed away in a drawer somewhere, or with your games? Do you have a display case for the really cool stuff or does it all just stay boxed up 24/7?
>>
>>52855803

I tetris it up. Try to fit as many games in as little space as I can.

Though I'm realizing I goofed. I'm waiting for several hueg kickstarters and have litterally no space left whatsoever.
>>
>>52855053
>>
No organization. Chaos
>>
>>52856024
Ill top that, I have no shelving system at all. Some of my games are in a cupboard, some on a bookshelf and 3 are currently on the floor. None of this is organised.
>>
Is organization really required?
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
936KB, 644x644px
>>52857060
>Is organization really required?
>asked on Taiwanese underwater basket weaving autism support group website
>>
>>52857060

Not really, I'm "tetris it up" guy and my games are all over the fucking place. I still remember where each is, despite having over 200 games.

I just need to save space because my collection is so ginormous.
>>
>>52857230
Well, I started to get into this board game stuff hobby and I was really wondering if you guys are the kind that arrange them after size, nr of letters ,etc.

Good to know I won't be the only one.
>>
>>52857296
Autism exists, but after 100+ games, even autism can't exactly keep up I bet.
>>
>>52857360
I would argue against this, but at a certain point the games you own don't fit perfectly in storage if you keep them organized alphabetically. Somewhere around 30 I had to break things up a bit to fit better. Thankfully the old console collections are still organized perfectly.
>>
>>52857296
I tried to do that initially by sorting it by 2P competitive/multiplayer competitive/co-op, but then I stopped caring and decided to maximize using the space in my shelf instead
>>
>>52855803

I stack similar sized boxes on top of each other. Prevents cover from dishing.
>>
Should I get 'Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space' or 'Secret Hitler'? Or something else like that?
>>
File: skinner.jpg (40KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
skinner.jpg
40KB, 960x540px
you lied to me, /bgg/. you said if i went to a board game group they'd be welcoming and friendly.

fuck you.
>>
>>52859886
Damn what happened?
>>
>>52859886
Did you show up with a copy of Tentacle Bento or spend all evening talking about your pillow-waifu?
>>
>>52859886
Storytime, nao.
>>
>>52855803
Storage mode: Tetris due to lack of space

>>52859829
Dunno anon, should you? Will you and your group enjoy those kinds of games?

Got a play of Star Wars: Rebellion yesterday. Seems pretty good, although I had a few issues with it. Wouldn't play it with 4 players again though.
>>
>>52859829
secret hitler is fun for people who don't like most other types of games. there are no mechanics to speak of, its pure deduction. if thats what you or your group are into you'll love it. if you want something with more structure look elsewhere
>>
>>52860700
Resistance is pure deduction. Secret hitler leans more on the social side of things, which makes it easier for people who cannot logic good, like me.
>>
>>52860587
>Rebellion with 4
Oh God anon, I'm so sorry. Don't listen to FFG they lie on some of their boxes, that's solely a 2p game.
>>
Got ticket to ride europe a while back and my family liked it. We have played it as 4 and 5 players.

My brother is interested in getting another version to play. What other versions are good. It being more likely/easier to fuck with each other's plans would be nice.
>>
>>52860993
If you want to screw with each other the Africa map is supposed to be pretty cutthroat. Nordic is also a tight map, but it only plays 2-3.
>>
>>52860768
Yeah it was basically two people have to reach a consensus on what to do every turn. Oh and one person is supposed to control the ground combat while the other does space. Completely artificial and serves no purpose, actually hurt us at one point too with the way leaders are divided.

The empire had captured one of our heroes and I had a hero who could free them easily but since I was the last player to go in the turn order (rebel, empire, empire, rebel) the empire player used some bullshit card to turn him to their side, effectively giving them a 2 action advantage per turn for the rest of the game.

Still like the game overall but that put a sour taste in my mouth since it soon became apparent we were going to lose just from the total disparity between what each side could accomplish due to losing/gaining an extra action a turn.
>>
>>52860756
i meant secret hitler is pure social deduction. its still just pure deduction
>>
>>52859829
There's PnP for both floating around I think. EftAiOS is a hidden movement game where half the players are humans, and the other half are aliens, and nobody knows who everybody else is. It's pretty fun and can get somewhat nerve-wracking for the humans with he proper atmosphere. Don't know anything about Secret Hitler.
>>
>>52861301
Yeah there's a few out there that are "team" games but I'd never play them anything but 1v1; splitting games like that into 2v2 or 3v3 is like using a chainsaw to carve a turkey.
>>
>>52859886
If it's a Meetup group rate them 1 Star, message the organizer about your complaint, and leave the group. The organizer should correct the behavior and if he doesn't then fuck em leave a shitty review while you're at it
>>
>>52864052
The rulebooks would have you believe the tannhauser core set can be 5v5. What a load of crap.
>>
>>52859886
Come on pal, what happened?
>>
>>52865510
At this point I'm inclined to believe it didn't actually happen.
>>
I nearly bought 2nd ed descent last time I visited the nearby store. I've been looking at it for a while and am fascinated by the amount of expansion material. Also playing an evil DM sounds fun.
>>
What are some good "must own" games everyone should have? To humor me, just pretend that no matter what game is suggested, a gaming group who would play it could be found. I just want to hear from others what games they think are the best
>>
>>52866561
Carcassonne
>>
>>52861849
Can someone find a download link for the PnP of ultimate edition?
>>
Second core set of AHLCG or should I just go straight into dunwhich legacy
>>
File: Capture.jpg (78KB, 1273x672px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
78KB, 1273x672px
>Dark Souls unboxing

The models look neat. What does /bgg/ think?

https://youtu.be/ss9XJtmarYA
>>
>>52868531
The game itself is reportedly far too long for its depth, apparently taking three hours to get to a boss and another three to beat it.
>>
>>52868531
>The models look neat. What does /bgg/ think?
BGG thinks that the action figure general is over >>>>>>>>>> that way.
>>
Anyone played Runeage, Chaos in the old world and Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War? Can you tell pros and cons?
>>
>>52867261
The PnP is the file they give out for buying the PnP version I think, so I doubt it.

>>52868443
Dunwich and the following mythos packs should give you plenty of variability for your deckbuilding needs, just proxy any extra core set cards you want. Be aware that you need all the Dunwich cycle packs in order to complete the campaign.
>>
I want to buy Carcassonne. My shop sells only the Big box with 1st , 2nd and 9th expansion in it. It's a bit above 35 Euros, should I get it?
>>
>>52868443

I would advocate a second core due to the fact that many core cards are still quite good and worth running 2 of in a deck. But if money is tight you can still throw together a few decent decks with just one core and Dunwich Legacy box + mythos packs.
>>
>>52866561
Catan, Risk, Dixit
>>
>>52869196
Why would you suggest Catan or Risk? Both are very dated and other games do what they do, only better. Both Risk & Catan suffer from the 'make plans - then hope the dice don't screw you' issue. Risk at least gives you some mitigation by throwing in more armies against an opponent, but it isn't much.

>>52866561
Carcassonne, Stone Age, Castles of Burgundy, Roll for the Galaxy, and 7 Wonders are all better choices than 'Catan' because they have more player agency and thus more reply value.

When it comes to Risk - there are a ton of 'Dudes on a map' games which hold more depth and replay value. Kemet, Neuroshima Hex, Small World, etc
>>
File: Carcassonne BB5.jpg (205KB, 745x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carcassonne BB5.jpg
205KB, 745x600px
>>52869075
Carcassonne Big Box 5 seems to have one of the best combos out for Carc at the moment. Pic related - it comes with 'Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, Hills & Sheep, plus 'The River'. About the only waste of space is 'Wheel of Fortune' which is random and pretty 'Meh'. Otherwise, the core game, and the first two expansions are well recommended. You might look at the BGG 'Geek Bazaar' or elsewhere online and see if you can snag a copy at a reasonable price.

Hope that helps.
>>
Hey guys anyone knows a store with good prices that ships internationally? Does amazon have the best prices?
>>
>>52855803
The kallax styled shelves are samey yes, but I have yet to find any widely available shelving that does a better job than them for board games. (mine are Better Homes and Garden knockoffs though, literally same dimensions but cheaper and shipping isn't an arm and a leg)

I try to put games of similar genre together, such as storing all my deckbuilders near each other.

I have one fabric box insert that stores all my RPG stuff, and one that stores all my small games, deck sized boxes and such.
>>
>>52869984
>Why
He's shitposting.
>>
>>52870230
I'm in the USA, so the only ones I know much about are here.

Miniature Market has good prices and ships internationally. I have no idea if the price of shipping outweighs the discount on the games.

Coolstuffinc also has good prices and ships to some other countries. Again no idea about international shipping.
>>
>>52868531
>>52868551
That's the impression I'm getting from reviews. It makes me worry. But maybe a slight modification can fix all that, like doubling all XP gained? I hope so.
>>
>>52870491
Thanks man, ill take a look at those. Living in Brazil and liking boardgames is hell.
>>
>>52870541
From Angry Joes first impression, something as simple as splitting the loot deck into tiers could help immensely, getting something that can buff you and use it straight away to cut down on the grind a bit.

Which is what I might do when I play mine. Might even bend the rules the first few times I play (2-3 bonfires) and allow myself to search the deck for something that fits my character the first couple of times in the solo session, then wing it from there.
Or just give myself some pre-set starting loot thats slightly better than the default equipment.
That fits well in the Dark Souls lore where you can pick a starting gift for yourself.

Game seems quite flexible for variant rules though in general, which is good keeping in mind the invaders and darkroot expansions and boss expansions.

Cant wait for Kalameet. I wonder how they will handle its unique debuff.
>>
>>52870039
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look it up.
>>
>>52868551
That's about what I expected, but I think this will be the first game I'm willing to put a little work into to houserule in some better stuff because I love the source material.

I also really love Bloodborne, and the Bloodborne card game was good, but kinda disappointing about how nonthematic it felt.
>>
>>52870230
You might look in the OP at the link to the pastebin. I know no one reads it, but there's a section listing online game sellers in various parts of the world (among other things) in there.
>>
File: IMG_20170424_124703.jpg (6KB, 720x133px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170424_124703.jpg
6KB, 720x133px
>>52871796
Ehh
>>
>>52871796
>>52872040
I've made countless OPs for the general and I think the only time I read it was when the anon who wrote the thing posted it the first time. Maybe it's time to go through and update it
>>
>>52868922
Only played CitOW. I'm almost strictly a euro player, but I still enjoy it for what it is - a conflict heavy game with lots of fucking others over and not too much brain burning.
It is however very random and luck can and will fuck you over in every aspect. Events can change the situation dramatically and the battles are full blown RNG - while numbers can make some outcomes more likely, the limited units at your disposal will often leave dial victories hanging upon a dice roll. Spells can mitigate it somewhat, but guess what, they're drawn randomly too.
>>
Is carcassonne recommended even if I'm well into board games by now? I always thought it was more a gateway
>>
>>52869984
Isn't Dominion a must have , too?

I like how 7 Wonders looks like. I might buy it.
>>
>>52872775
>more a gateway
It is; still useful to have a few in the collection for converting friends/family; and Carc (without farmers) is stupid easy to teach/learn. It's also rather portable if you ditch the scoreboard and just use a piece of paper and keep the tiles/meeples in a bag.
>>
Any South Americans around? How do you get your games? Bookdepository is by far the best option, but the catalog is quite limited.
Boardgaming in the third world is an expensive hobby.
>>
>>52873040
Im from brazil, im only getting the ones being localized by some companies here, Galápagos games, jambo editora. Didnt try to import one yet. I got Zombicide and Eldritch Horror from them.
>>
>>52872278
I'm that Anon, and I'd be glad to do so - I just haven't had anyone suggest good sources for certain regions. I can certainly check BGG and see if they have any leads, but I'd love it if anyone here would like to volunteer links / suggestions as well.
>>
>>52872785
If you're looking for a 'Deck Building' game, then Dominion is a solid choice.

(Personally, for whatever reason, Dominion just never grabbed me, but it is still arguably one of the most well designed deck builders currently available. I prefer Arctic Scavengers and Core Worlds, and I even like Thunderstone over Dominion in spite of Dominion's superior mechanics / rules. I'm "dain-bramaged", what can I say? )
>>
>>52873905
Yeah I've never looked into it before, the last time I went looking for game stores in foreign countries I got hit by language barriers and hard to navigate sites using google translate. Ended up buying off a euro amazon and having stuff shipped to distribution points.
>>
>thousands of hours in dark souls
>fucking love dark souls
>really want the board game
>it's expensive
>most of the reviews say it's bad

What does /tg/ think? I want to believe
>>
>>52874290
I wouldn't say reviews have labeled it as 'bad'. Most of what I've seen place it at a 6 or so. Good, above average, but has flaws. Kind of mediocre.

I think that the public is going to fix it much like they did with the PC Dark Souls games.
>>
>>52874290
The board game is pretty garbage. Dark Souls vidya can stand out when the competition is largely unmitigated dross but in the board game scene where crap is not the rule, the adaptation fails.
>>
>>52874290
The flaws sound pretty damn bad. I'm curious if fan rules can fix it because it sounds like it's a polish problem, but as it stands now it seems like they made boss fights fun but made it a complete slog to get there. Dungeon crawling is boring, lacks much in the way of tactics, and takes up 2/3rds of the playtime.
>>
>>52875111
This.
Games a 6-7/10 from what I have read. It got the most important parts right: The boss battles and its behaviour decks, the build quality of the board and pieces and character sheets, the presentation, how stamina works. The movement system seems to work most of the time too.

The parts that most people criticise the game for are the long turns for each player (so other players have long idle times in 3 or 4 player games) and the grinding to get over the difficulty walls and to equip the random gear you get.

Both of those main issues can be pretty easily fixed and tweaked with simple house rules. Speeding up turns, limiting enemy turns (whilst increasing their health pools) shrinking down the massive loot pile (which I personally assume is so grand for the sake of having plenty of variety in the long-term), giving more level appropriate loot out, and doubling XP gains are some ideas put forward that could work.

It all depends on the future expansions and what they add. In particular invaders.
>>
>>52868551
I think it was more like 2 hours to get there and 1 hour to beat it, but still 3 hours is way too much time to devote to a game where you do nothing meaningful in the first 2 hours and rely too strongly on dice rolls and gear grind for the last 1.

I'm gonna see if I can sell my copy, maybe for like $70 or something and then make up the rest of my losses selling the stretch goals when they arrive, assuming anyone still wants to find those after playing the game.
>>
>>52872775
Carc is fun wether you are new or old to the hobby. It's not like pandemic where it has a clear level of when you should move away from it
>>
>>52875697
>it has a clear level of when you shouldn't move away from it

Genuinely curious as to what that level is, can you elaborate?
>>
>>52876506
When you get tired of stroking your friends dicks and instead want to see them choke on them.
>>
>>52876506
>Genuinely curious as to what that level is, can you elaborate?

With repeated plays, it becomes possible for players to recognize the most optimal choices in a given situation. It doesn't always mean an auto-win, but it can reduce the game intensity.

>>52876914
Welcome new-friend. You've obviously gotten lost. /b/ and/or /pol/ are that way ------>.
>>
>>52877110
>possible for players to recognize the most optimal choices
This is one reason I prefer Flash Point; you can still figure what's best but the dice rolls and hot spots make it harder.
>>
>>52877194
I like both. Pandemic feels more solvable and thus more tactical as far as memory playing a part and such, while Flashpoint feels more chaotic but more tactile. You tend to have more options as to what you combat, where you want to stand, how far you want to go breaking walls to make holes without the building collapsing.
>>
>>52877110
>>52877194
>>52877318
What are the optimal plays for pandemic? I've only played it a few times but I can't figure anything out
>>
>>52878461
Look for the pattern of how your out-breaks occur. You will notice that because cards get re-shuffled into the deck that predicting where full blown out breaks becomes easier (even if it isn't always easy to prevent / deal with them). After that, one starts to see patterns of where / when to move certain professions and how to maximize travel to allow card trades to complete sets and 'cure' a given disease. (Hopefully someone here can follow up with a more articulate answer.)
>>
>>52878461
Balance moving around with treating infections mostly, you're on a slim timer. Hand management and counting cards is important too.

Also half the roles are incredibly overpowered which has always bothered me. The dispatcher is probably the worst for this and turns the game into "well I can just move anyone anywhere pretty much"
>>
>>52874290
It's bad.

And when I say it isn't bad, I am not saying it is bad like how some people think Star Wars: Rebellion is bad and is only saved by the theme (only about 40% true); I mean it is actually really dumb and boring.
>>
>got Eldritch Horror
>didn't really like it at first; seemed too random
>slowly learning how to play
>holy fuck this design is good

Stop me from spending $200 on expansions /bgg/
>>
>>52879547
Cant stop you, welcome to every arkham files game made by FFG. It all starts out with "This is bullshit!" But then you get sucked in

For me it's been AHLCG, I've been pretty dismissive of it because I thought the core set was kinda eh but by god does dunwich make the game so much better.

Haven't played EH before but if it's anything like the original arkham horror the expansions will be worth it and fun
>>
>>52879639
>It all starts out with "This is bullshit!" But then you get sucked in
Definitely worked that way for me and Elder Sign; though I've found it a lot easier to just pay the $2.99 for DLC bosses on the app, than $20-30 for a physical expansion.
>>
I'm glad the Dark SOuls board game is probably going to drop to 45% off at every venue because I only wanted this guy but didn't want to pay $50.
>>
File: droppedImage_1[1].png (383KB, 617x313px) Image search: [Google]
droppedImage_1[1].png
383KB, 617x313px
anyone got a good way of keeping a game of Twilight Imperium flowing?

me and 5 friends tried the Age of Empire variant with a round counter, but it still took us 12 hours to play, and even then we finished early because one of them pulled an incredible move and got an objective no one saw coming, so we just deemed him winner because he pulled so far ahead

I don't like playing with the regular Imperial strategy because someone will always take it and 2 victory points is pretty unfair, but if people don't pick it then the next objective isn't revealed and the game gets no closer to ending

any ideas? we love the game but we literally only get to play it once a year because of this
>>
>>52882595
Kill two of your friends so you can play with four. Down size your galaxy to two rings. Nothing else you can do will be nearly as elegant a solution.
>>
Are there any interesting card games with a standard set of 52 cards? Or at the least your favorite card games that have fun interaction and strategy? I'm not super familiar with a whole lot, only really played gin rummy.
>>
>>52883785
Diamonds is pretty solid, uses a 60 card deck, but you could play it with 52 without serious issues. Living in Michigan you don't keep a 52 card deck around as much as keep a 28 card deck in the glove box for if you're stuck at the bar when the power's out.
>>
>>52884171
28 card deck?
>>
>>52884371
24 for play, the 5s are needed for scorekeeping.
>>
File: Son I am disappoint.gif (85KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
Son I am disappoint.gif
85KB, 480x600px
>>52882731
>Kill two of your friends so you can play with four. Down size your galaxy to two rings. Nothing else you can do will be nearly as elegant a solution.

STEEV! I AM DISAPPOINT!

The 'elegant solution' to find *one more* TI3 player. Then Anon may play a perfect 4 player game of TI3 on Caturday, and a second perfect 4 player game of TI3 on Funday with a 2nd entirely different group of players.

Some people's kids... I tell you what. ;)
>>
>>52884443
Ambitious.
I like it.
>>
>>52884468
Obviously unnecessary activities like speaking with family members who are not part of the game, yard work, etc will have to be suspended on TI3 weekends. But maybe Anon could skip TI3 one weekend every couple of months or so...
>>
>>52871654

Why in the monkey fucking fucksnacks wasn't Bloodborne done as a miniatures game?
>>
>>52884747
Perhaps the designers didn't want to get in bed with CMoN or FFG / Asmodee North America?
>>
>>52884787
But anon, it was made by CMoN
>>
File: 1425142429532.jpg (144KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1425142429532.jpg
144KB, 572x303px
>>52884971
>Made by CMoN...
>Doesn't contain minis...

UNPOSSIBLE!!!
>>
>>52884572
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justifiable_homicide
>>
>>52885098
They've been putting out a lot in the last two years that don't have pounds of plastic in em. Trying to become the new FFG where they're not limited to just minis.
>>
>>52884971
Dark Souls is by Steamforged.
He means Steamforged doesn't want to get into bed with CMON to release a BB game.
>>
File: pic3297526_lg.jpg (508KB, 1013x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic3297526_lg.jpg
508KB, 1013x1024px
>>52885805
>doesn't want to get into bed with CMON to release a BB game.
Anon......
>>
>>52885884
I'm talking about Steamforged, not From.
From gives no shit.
>>
>>52885805
If he meant Steamforged and Dark Souls why did he ask about Bloodborne? I'm very confused here
>>52884747
>>
>>52886147
I took it as meaning "why did Steamforged choose DS and not BB."
And the answer was "CMON already bought the rights from Sony."
>>
>>52883785
Machiavelli
Ants war
>>
>>52886502
Thanks, these are exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>52875488
To add to this, having the players automatically lose an encounter when just one party member dies is some horseshit. I am going to house rule that, if a party member dies in a fight, they can be revived so long as the players still win the encounter. If the players are forced to run, then it will cost souls to revive each dead player, or a spark to revive all of them at once.
>>
>>52875488
If I really really like Dark Souls and I also like grinding, will I enjoy the game then?
>>
>>52887425
100%
I'ts pretty bad at any player count above 1 tho.
>>
>>52883785
This might sound lame but I've always enjoyed Hearts if there are 3 other people
>>
>>52887376
My idea is even simpler.
Make the healer the "host". Everyone else is summoned in.
If healer survives he can revive other players for free immediately, but if he dies they all go back to the bonfire.
Gives the healer a more important role and a bit of risk and reward for them getting into the fray
>>
Anyone here who played both versions of Eftaios and can tell me how different the Ultimate version is?

I know it has some different items and what not, but is it a major difference?
>>
>>52874290
It depends on why you like Dark Souls.
If you like DS because:
>hard game for hardocre gamurs lel
>OMG so dark and hopeless lore
>lol I don't know how I survived so epic!
You'll like it.
If you like DS because:
>Skill-based and unforgiven, if you die it's 100% your fault
>ai interactions and exploits
>equipment builds for customization and replayability
You won't.

The board game is grindy as fuck, which DS isn't unless you suck. Success is not completely in your hands, the die can fuck you up and so can the boss deck while it's developing a pattern.
Basically you'll kill a bunch of losers and die on purpose to farm equipment for hours, then you'll chicken around the boss while it develops it's pattern and fight it based on said pattern with minimal deviation on how you can exploit said pattern no matter what weapons you have.
And the game expects you to do the same thing for each boss in the campaign book.

The D&D Adventure System games feel more like Diablo than this feels like Dark Souls. And the minis aren't fantastic, they're Descent 2E level, not Conan/KDM level like some people claim.
>>
>>52888916
>>OMG so dark and hopeless lore
Art direction is one of the things From really fucking shines at though.
>>
>>52889149
Ironically, the Soulsborne series is not hopeless, it's the literal opposite. You canonically cannot fail so long as you don't give up and all protags exept for The Ashen One sow the seeds of a better future with their sacrifice.
>>
>>52888916
>Skill-based and unforgiven, if you die it's 100% your fault
>ai interactions and exploits
>equipment builds for customization and replayability
This is me
>You won't.
FUCK
>>
>>52889457
Not that guy, but from the moment I saw the first photos of the DS boardgame, I had a very itchy feeling that it will end up just as Descent with DS theme. Guess I wasn't that far off.
>>
>>52892001
From what I'm seeing, it actually sound less / far less appealing than Descent. Descent's big issue is that it becomes more of a race game between the DM and player rather than an exploration game. But that still sounds a lot better than an overly long 'level' grind just to reach what amounts to a long 'boss-grind'.
>>
>>52892512
I played Descent with my group long time ago and we had a good time. We didn't finish the campaign and they started bugging me to get back to it, but now I find the entire "race" mechanic pointless.

There's treasure scattered around the map, but if you commit to collecting it, you may help the Dark Lord (or whatever was the DM's name) win.
>>
>>52892512
This is my exact objection to Gloomhaven.
>>
My collection's all over the house - I've been thinking about getting a Kallax unit from Ikea, but the question is where to put it in my room...
>>
>>52894908
could always attach it to the ceiling
>>
File: Shammy.jpg (339KB, 1097x1542px) Image search: [Google]
Shammy.jpg
339KB, 1097x1542px
>>52879547
I can't anon, I'm sorry. Finally received the last expansion I was missing a few weeks ago, it's pretty great. I would recommend you start with the small boxes first. The sideboards are fun but not necessary and won't come out every game. This makes the small boxes better value to increase variety. I would say buy Forsaken Lore first, then Strange Remnants, then Signs of Carcossa or a big box if a theme is calling to you. They are all good.
>>
>>52884371
Euchre
>>
>>52873040
I work for a company that does order fulfillment for board games, Brazil is a fucking nightmare to ship to. How can the postal service be so corrupt?
>>
They're remaking blood bound with not shit art
>>
>>52897247
The government has a monopoly on the postal service sector. And the government is about 99% corrupt. That should explain it.
>>
Is Gloomhaven as tiresome to set up as it looks?
>>
>>52897945
I read some comment on reddit that said so. People were talking about how it either had to just live on the table between sessions, or playing through multiple scenarios a sitting to make setup worth it.
>>
File: 1436826632710.jpg (767KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1436826632710.jpg
767KB, 3264x2448px
>>52897945
>>52898347
What, you don't have some $1500 gaming table with a recessed compartment where you can leave a game set up indefinitely?

Neither do I... Damn-it!
>>
>>52897945
From everything I've seen yes, pretty much the thing that stops me from buying it. I just don't have the space to leave it "running" for ages on end.

>>52898489
THIS. You aren't a true member of the hobby unless you have a table with only the finest felt, finest oak, assembled by wrymwood gaming and seperate mini tables for cupholders
>>
>>52898489
>there are people who don't own tools and build their own stuff
>https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1471747/build-gaming-table-150
I am disappoint
>>
>>52897945
Honestly, for all the speed that the system has in place, it's tiresome to actually play. Any one game session is a two hour slog through four tiles filled with monsters.... That's just one scenario out of 75+!
>>
>>52898489
Yes, but I have heroscape set up down there.
>>
>>52898546
I built mine of stainless steel, it's 4'x4' and can make the playing area surface, 2" deep or 6" deep.
Not great for wargaming or pretending it's a normal dinner table but excellent for everything else.
>>
File: screams.jpg (108KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
screams.jpg
108KB, 500x344px
>>52898510

>mfw I think of how much Wyrmwood would charge for an entire table when they charge $25 to cut a window in your deckbox
>>
>>52898489
>>52898546
I'd love to have something like this but my apartment is pretty small so I'd have nowhere to put it
>>
Anyone heard of or played ...and then, we held hands? I've been trying to find out if this would be a good game to buy or not
>>
Are minis getting bigger?
Dark Souls, Conan, Rising Sun and KD:M aren't quite "heroic scale". I mean they kinda are, but it's like the DS heroes are highlanders and Descent 2e heroes are mexicans.
>>
>>52902975
I think they make games more desirable to normies because you can use the minis for other tabletop games and it gives you something "cool and neat" to look out while you play. Or did you mean bigger as in size-wise? If that's the case then I'm not sure.
>>
>>52903039
>Or did you mean bigger as in size-wise?
He's talking about scale so that's what I'd assume.
>>
>>52903047
Yes, I meant size. Conan is like a feet and a half taller than D&D humans if you scale them up to 1:1
>>
And the Rising Sun minis are even taller.
>>
What's the deal with Escape from Aliens in Outer Space? I hear there are a lot of balance issues with the game. Did the Ultimate Edition fix anything? Is houseruling the crap out of the game common?
>>
File: mrmeseeks.jpg (23KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
mrmeseeks.jpg
23KB, 184x184px
>>52870039

>8 player carcasonne
>>
>>52904547
I don't at least try it as long as everyone already knew how to play and wasn't retarded
>>
>>52904642
*I would

I have know idea where I don't came from
>>
>>52903039
Normie games are chess, backgammon, bridge, poker, etc. That is, ultra-dry hardcore mathy or deduction games. Not moronic ameritrash toys.

Minis are popular on Kickstarter because if you want to sell people on parting money on a glorified preorder scam then you need to provide them with the carrot of collectible items.
>>
>>52905021
>glorified preorder scam
If it's a glorified preorder isn't it not a scam by definition>?
>>
STICKERS
T
I
C
K
E
R
S
>>
>>52905152
I have T&T coming in this week, SO psyched to apply 200 stickers.
>>
>>52902182
I'm interested in this question too.
My husband is my main gaming buddy so we really like 2player games
>>
>>52905089
'Scam' because they have no accountability.
>>
>finally killed the ghoul priest in AHLCG
Wow rogue cards are strong, tripped him over, pummeled on him for a bit and then strangled him with some wire.
>>
File: carcassonne kinda I guess.gif (5MB, 680x693px) Image search: [Google]
carcassonne kinda I guess.gif
5MB, 680x693px
>>52867180
This is the correct answer. Attempts to dethrone Carcassonne have all failed, like that one kickstarter pic related.
You cannot go wrong with the base game, and it is incredibly modular with expansions so it really is a tailor-able experience.
>>
Anyone have thoughts on City of Kings?
It looks kinda cool but that price tag combined with already backing Aeon's end and gloomhaven is a turnoff for me.
>>
>kingdom death
>santorini
>cry havoc
>jaipur
>blood rage
>GKR Heavy Hitters

>and now Dark Souls

so when can we properly say cuckstarter is killing the hobby?
>>
>>52906676
>Jaipur
?????????????
>>
>>52906676
Kingdom Death isn't a board game per se and Cry Havoc was never a kickstarter.
>>
>>52906676

I have no idea what you're talking about, Santorini is good, cry havoc & jaipur arent kickstarters as far as I know (and Jaipur looks pretty fun), blood rage doesnt look like my cup of tea but was well received, we have no idea if GKR is shit or not, Dark Souls looks like it's a miss, but it's not like non kickstarter games are all perfect either.

And I'd gladly play Kingdom Death if I had the pesos.
>>
>>52906676
What hobby are you talking about? None of those games were ever popular outside the tiniest internet circlejerk imaginable.
>>
>>52906768
And KD:M is a circlejerk within a criclejerk, even.
>>
>>52906754
>we have no idea if GKR is shit or not,

it's a cuckstarter burgerspiel plastic pusher with tard level dice combat

if you think that's good get out of the hobby

>santorini
>good

no it fucking isn't
>>
>>52906796

> cuckstarter burgerspiel plastic pusher with tard level dice combat

I dunno, man... I like games like heroscape or heroclix alright. We may not like the same types of games is all.

>Santorini
>Bad

What's wrong about it ? At it's core, it's a simple & solid abstract. I can understand people not liking the god powers but it's not like you HAVE to play with them.
>>
>>52906676
why are you guys even so much against kickstarter? its a good way for small companies to get started. of course there is lots of shit coming out, who never wouldve had the chance to produce. who forces you to buy all that shit anyway? some boardgames were great, even though not really deep but still nice for the price. especially if you are into painting minis. zombicide is a good example, also the edge dawnfall looks nice.
>>
>>52906834
>it used to be a good way for small companies to get started
FTFY, now it's just an interest gauge and marketing tool for established companies.
>>
>>52905571
I heard from a friend it's the kind of game that makes you cry in a good way.
>>
>>52906834
>some boardgames were great, even though not really deep but still nice for the price. especially if you are into painting minis. zombicide is good

hurr durr role dise im such a geek tee hee

epic zombie bacon

i bet you watch Cuck Up and Sit Down too
>>
>>52906846
even though thats the case, price wise its still a good deal sometimes
and the small companies still exist. its not that kickstarter is exclusive for big brands
>>
>>52906834
Only megacorps are allowed to make money, if small or medium sized companies do well americans get jealous.
The goyin have been trained well.
>>
>>52906862
i never said that. i like painting minis and playing boardgames, what does that make me? a gamer, a painter? i couldnt care less about that description. people like you are so crazy butthurt about their elitism its laughable.
>>
>>52906884
its basicly also the reason why i avoid game stores. its nice to find some people for playing but fuck are they on about their exclusive hobby status that sets them apart from all the "normies". reason why i prefer to play casual with said normies even though if that means things are about to take a while
>>
>>52906909
>being elitist about not being elitist
You're a funny guy anon.
>>
>>52906985
where am i being an elitist when i enjoy that a wider audience is brought to the "hobby"?
>>
>>52868443
Both or neither son
>>
File: marco polo manhattan project.jpg (86KB, 445x300px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo manhattan project.jpg
86KB, 445x300px
Which one should I get and why?
>>
>>52906796
>santorini
>good
>no it fucking isn't

Try not to get buttblasted again now but you're just wrong.
>>
>>52907086
Neither. Go buy Aquasphere.
>>
>>52906853
Do you know what they meant by that? I'm not sure I see how an abstract board game could do generate that many emotions
>>
Gonna re-ask my question from last thread (>>52832231)

Just played Shadows Over Camelot last week. The drop-in drop-out functionality really interests me. Are there any other games with the same capabilities?

Generally, I suspect that games with a similar mechanical framework to Pandemic can be made to work for drop-in drop-out with minimal rules tinkering, because SoC kinda felt like a take on Pandemic as well.
>>
>>52907084
Welp I did it anon
Thanks
>>
>>52906676
>so when can we properly say cuckstarter is killing the hobby?

After *DECADES* of Hasbro, Parker Bros, and shit like Monopoly? Anon, put down the crack-pipe...
>>
>>52906796
>GKR
>Tard level dice combat.
Confirmed didn't read the rulebook. The base hit probability is close to 80%, that's closer to deterministic than most any dice combat system, AND there's mitigation tools on top of that.
Sure, it's still dice combat, but it's absolutely not tard tier.
>But all dice combat is tard tier.
Then you're just being redundant. And wrong.
>>
>>52906846
> "Don't confuse me with facts" - the post.

>>52906862
> "Stop liking what I don't like - Waaaah!" the post.

Your posts read like "OMG! I've got my hate-boner and you can't take it from me with your evil logic and facts! RRRREEEEE!"

Bravo! It's like /bgg/'s own little slice of /b/...
>>
>>52906834
We're not really against Kickstarter, theres just a couple hair trigger autists around who flip out if anything has miniatures or dice or costs more than ten dollars.

Certainly there's companies out there that abuse KS as a risk management tool and interest guage instead of for funding, but most projects are still fairly legitimate.
>>
>Bloodborne The Card Game come in
>Punch and sort
>Insert is pretty nice, fits everything with space for card expansions
>Reading through cards
>Special abilities on equipment, enemies, and bosses have little to nothing to do with how those functioned in game
>In several cases the card abilities seems pretty opposite to the in game counterpart

Man, I can see the game mechanics are well polished and work together nicely. But the 'Bloodborne' theme seems to be 100% pasted on after the fact and not even considered when designing the game with how much the cards miss what they represent in the game.
>>
Age of Empires 3 is fucking horse shit
The coins are fucking awesome tho
>>
>>52906676
Cry Kurwa wasnt cuckstarter, but was a mistake.
>>
>>52909408
It's not that bad, the only real problem it has is that it ends too soon.
>>
>>52909374

Did you play with or without the expansions?

They tend to make the game imbalanced and overly complex.
>>
Question about Epic, when can you use Avenging Angel's "cannot be attacked when expended" ability? Can you expend it during the usual event/ability windows?
>>
>>52909722
You normally expend it by attacking with it, and then it remains expended until the start of your next turn.
>>
>>52909520
After a few plays it feels pretty bad.
>>
>>52909805
Oh wait, so Champions don't prepare until your next turn instead of when your opponent's turn starts then? That changes a few things, gotta look through the White Wizard tutorial again. Does this include champions used to block too?
>>
>>52909839
Shrug. I think the factions are too straightforward in their general strategy, but the tactical level is pretty interesting.
I think it was over hyped for sure, but I don't think it's bad.
>>
>>52909567
No expansion. They completely overdid it with complexity. Don't get me wrong, I like games that make me think hard and several turns ahead and I love Agricola for that but AoE3 is a clusterfuck of options. Rules are kind of poorly written which forces you to playtest and find out how it is probably most balanced plus several things are essentially useles (trade goods, some cards, etc)

As to not hate it without saying anything nice about it: I liked that going for pure economy doesn't automatically win or lose you the game and the coins are really nice.
>>
Next paycheck I'm planning on buying Neuroshima Hex 3.0 and three more ships for x-wing, pretty excited for them. My wallet hates me but I don't care.
>>
>>52910649
Neuroshima Hex is greaaaaaaaaaat. I love it.

Currently, including the base game, there are like 15 factions total. It has so much replayability, it's fantastic.
>>
>>52911755
That's awesome, I didn't know there were so many factions! What are some of the better expansions that you'd recommend getting first?
>>
>>52911755
> "there are lots of factions, that makes it replayable"
I wish this retarded meme would die already.
>>
Anyone have ways of keeping cards from blowing away? Little Mancala pieces aren't heavy enough, the wind lifts those up easily. I was thinking of fishing sinkers, but those are usually made of lead I think. Then I was thinking some sort of metal bar that could lay on top of an entire row of cards.
>>
File: Card Holders 2.jpg (42KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
Card Holders 2.jpg
42KB, 620x465px
>>52912649
I don't know of any commercial products, but you could make a modified version of pic related. The problem with pic related is that the slots are to wide. You could perhaps come up with something that acts like a clothes pin to gently grip the card but is weighted like the card holder.
>>
>>52912771
The cards in your hand are the least of your worries. The cards that will blow away are the decks and played cards.
>>
>>52912649
Make a small wooden "box" with a frame on top (can still see the top of the stack but preventing cards from escaping through the top) and an open side to draw cards.
>>
>>52912511
Can you explain to me what makes it a meme?
>>
>>52913149
I wanted something that could be played for any card-based game. Think MtG or something.
>>
>>52909327
That's because it's not even Ameritrash - it's just trash.
>>
>>52913293
Not him but replayability should come from core mechanics being great. A game with a lot of variation but the same boring core gameplay will always end up boring.

It's why games like Sekigahara and TS are replayable and lots of games with heavily randomized elements play themselves out quickly.
>>
>>52913579
I thought of this especially with the idea of games with a unique draw stack. You make the box with the open top and the side facing towards you. The open top allows you to nicely take cards by sliding them towards you while the frame keeps the cards inside even winds blow fierce. Bonus points if you make the box so that you can close the open side and take your deck around with you.
>>
>>52913293
Replayability comes from tight game balance. Unbalanced games become 'solved' easily, which makes further play pointless.

Adding more and more factions only increases the chances of game-breaking balance issues.

Look at Terra Mystica -- there's a _shitload_ of playtesting that went into it, and they still wound up with only four worthwhile working factions out of 14. (Thankfully there's at least four, if there were two or less the game would have been broken.)

The replayable games are games like chess, where you can't really screw up balance. (Though even there the first player has a slight advantage.)
>>
>>52914071
That's just for the deck tho. All your played cards are exposed to wind.
>>
>>52914376
And for this I unfortunately have no counter measure. Just keep a few small rocks to put on your cards.
>>
>>52914444
thin plexiglass plates?
>>
>>52914687
Shit takes place, can bend/break and would be annoying to place and replace every time a card gets outed. As a large surface and without sufficiently concentrated weight, it can also be blown away if not thick enough. And honestly, it would probably look stupid.
Perhaps make those in a format big enough to hold at least 2 cards side by side and stick some card sleeves on those, like those you use to store cards in your ringholders. The problem is that everytime you play and discard a card, you're gonna have to insert them in/get them out of the sleeve and it gonna get annoying very quick. And it still gonna look retarded.

The best bet remains the small rock.
>>
>>52914353
>Replayability comes from tight game balance. Unbalanced games become 'solved' easily, which makes further play pointless.

So much this! This is why 'A Few Acres of Snow' is a great game - right up to the point where the players discover the one nearly unbeatable strategy available to only one of the two players.

>Adding more and more factions only increases the chances of game-breaking balance issues.

It's not guaranteed to cause balance issue, but I can't find any flaw with the logic of this argument either.
>Look at Terra Mystica -- there's a _shitload_ of playtesting that went into it, and they still wound up with only four worthwhile working factions out of 14. (Thankfully there's at least four, if there were two or less the game would have been broken.)

Out of curiosity, which 4? I haven't played TM enough to really discern that for myself yet.

>The replayable games are games like chess, where you can't really screw up balance. (Though even there the first player has a slight advantage.)

Chess is kind of a 'Meh' example because it breaks down to a fairly straight forward iterative process and a decision tree. This is why computers are so damn good at Chess when programmed properly. GO might be a better example - even if it too can be broken down into an iterative process - due to it's higher complexity.
>>
>>52912336
>What are some of the better expansions that you'd recommend getting first?

Vegas has a very unique playstyle, New York has plenty of units with new abilities and Sharrash is one of my personal favourites, because I like the mobile sneaky factions.

>>52914353
>>52913650
>>52915240
I think Neuroshima Hex is still very replayable with its 4 basic factions. Those are indeed the most balanced to play against each other (albeit some will argue that Borgo is OP).

Still, the replayability of the base game is really high, because you have 6 different matchups. In each matchup its guaranteed you'll draw your entire deck, but even a little change in draw order produces a completely different game.

Expansion factions add new mechanics and new matchups, even if some of them are REALLY weird (Vegas vs Mephisto). If you want to have a nice game, pick a random faction for each player and have at it.
>>
Bump for >>52855053
>>
So im new on the board game world. First games i got were zombicide and EH , i really like zombicide and still didnt played EH but from what you guys said its pretty good. What is a must have ? Is carcassonne really that good?
>>
>>52916284
No, carcasonne is simple entry level stuff, you're already playing stuff way more complex. But some people do still really like carcasonne. If a tile laying victory point game sounds fun, sure, go for it.
>>
>>52916406
>playing stuff way more complex
>Zombicide amerigarbage
>complex

lawl wut

Yes, go get Carcassonne and the first two expansions.
>>
>>52916284
Look around for games that interest you, rather than what people claim are necessities.
As a general rule of thumb, games can be divided into Euro and American style games, and from there diverge into various genres.
>>
>>52916284
I love carcassonne so I'll always recommend it
>>
>>52916551
Im doing basically this , but im looking for some suggestions, there are a lot of bad games and its kinda hard to filter if you are new
>>
>>52916590
Are Zombicide and EH the only games you have? What in particular do you like about them?
>>
>>52916647
The themes, zombicide has the theme and minis that i like, EH has the theme and both can be played by more than 5 players
>>
>>52913650
>Not him but replayability should come from core mechanics being great. A game with a lot of variation but the same boring core gameplay will always end up boring.
>>52914353
>Replayability comes from tight game balance. Unbalanced games become 'solved' easily, which makes further play pointless.
>Adding more and more factions only increases the chances of game-breaking balance issues.

Ok, I can understand how that's a major problem. Is Neuroshima Hex guilty of this though?
>>
>>52916699
What about game mechanics?
>>
>>52916740
In Zombicide i like the game plays against you part. The details like noise , the equipments, characters with skills, and some RNG to make the game interesting. Still didnt played EH so i cant talk about that. Forgot to say i also got imperial 2030 but it was split among my friends. Imperial is nice and i liked the wheel thingy, and the different focus instead of attacking attacking.
>>
>>52916871
Check out Dead of Winter and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
Dead of Winter introduces a traitor mechanic to a zombie survival scenario. I haven't played the expansion.
Betrayal is a really weak game mechanically, but is very effective at generating fun stories, and I make it a point to play it at least once a year on Halloween.
As for Imperial 2030, I've never played it, so maybe someone else can give recommendations.
>>
>>52917111
>>52916871
I've heard that the expansion of dead of winter is much better than the original
>>
>>52913650
>lots of games with heavily randomized elements play themselves out quickly.
And yet Betrayal manages to get plays to this day.

>>52914353
>Adding more and more factions only increases the chances of game-breaking balance issues
While not wrong, that's still a very cynical viewpoint that could lead to being dismissive about new games and ideas without even trying them.
>>
>>52918743
>And yet Betrayal manages to get plays to this day.
I'd argue that's because there's a lack of story driven generic horror games. Now if you'd said Survive has 30+ years of love....
>>
I for one think Battlecon represents a great mix of replayability, balance, and high number of asymmetrical character choices. While randomness or more factions/characters doesn't necessarily correlate to more replayability, I'd argue that an elegantly designed system of mechanisms can stand on its own two legs better if it presents multiple areas of mastery, such as each character's learning curve in terms of fighting with them and fighting against them.
>>
>>52918881
Survive, or the various TCGs/LCGs that exist, or even just Magic. Or hell, just the various games with regular playing cards. There's plenty of random-influenced games that see play multiple times. The first part of that anon's post is correct, if the core mechanic is strong then people will want to replay stuff. It is not, however, randomness that tires a game out. And going back to the original issue, many different factions *are* a good way to introduce variations of the core mechanics, provided they don't completely shit on the overall balance.
>>
>>52919194
>It is not, however, randomness that tires a game out
What does tire out a game? It's solvability?
>>
>>52920304
That the decisions it presents or the experience it provides are no longer interesting. This can be because the game is too random and your decisions don't matter, the decisions are too easy and don't feel meaningful (or the game is solved) or there's simply not enough tension and unpredictability once you've seen everything that game can offer.
>>
>>52920603
That just seems subjective
>>
>>52920603
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that you're wrong or being argumentative but deciding if a game is boring or not depends on the person. The fact that a game is solvable or that there are a few broken strategies may mean that the game doesn't hold up in your eyes but someone else may be ok with that for one reason or another.
>>
>>52921345
Is there a problem with a game tiring out for people at different rates?

>>52920603
Very well put, not sure that's the only way a game tires out, but it'd cover most cases
>>
>>52915780
I've never played Not Alone so I can't comment, I'm sorry anon. Have you tried board game geek for your answer?
>>
>>52916284
Carcassonne isn't 'that good', but it's miles above the ameritrash you're used to.
>>
>>52918743
>that could lead to being dismissive about new games and ideas without even trying them
No, the point is that playtesting is really, really hard and expensive.
>>
>>52923790
What makes it better than ameritrash? Is it just preference ?
>>
>>52916730
The game is based on matchups. In my experience, most matchups are pretty balanced. The most retarded ones are Vegas vs Mephisto and Vegas vs Dancer.

Vegas doesn't have many units, but can take control of other player's units, but can't "take over" their HQ. It works pretty great actually, but ONLY IF the enemy army has many units. Mephisto is a giant bug one-man-army - only his HQ is there to deal damage. Dancer is a three-man-army of killer androids - three HQs that deal damage.

You can see where this is going.
>>
>>52924059
'Ameritrash' means games that are used to tell stories instead of, well, to play games.

Which is totally idiotic, because if you want stories, then use a medium best suited for it. (Books, or movies.)

The exception is when games are used as a crutch to host nerdy drama club sessions. (This is what tabletop RPG's are.)

Drama club is dumb and I won't go there.
>>
>>52925890
>(Books, or movies.)
Depends on the story, can't see Bloodborne being a good movie or book.
>>
>>52924059
>Is it just preference ?
Yes
>>
>>52926047
Bloodborne isn't a good story.

>>52926159
No. Let's face it: ameritrash only exists because the USA is a very culturally isolated nation with lots of people who have lots of free money and time.

Once the cultural isolation goes away, little by little Americans will start playing normal games.
>>
File: 1465095235780.png (572KB, 1200x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1465095235780.png
572KB, 1200x1072px
>>52926293
>Bloodborne isn't a good story.
>>
>>52925890
>a game is only a game if it uses wooden shapes on a grid of cardboard as its only components
>>
>>52926293
We play eurotrash games. I spent the night playing Seven Wonders. What's really a shame is that you eurocucks can't conceive of a way to win a game that doesn't involve having the most points.
>>
File: this_is_a_solo_game.jpg (561KB, 2048x1908px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_a_solo_game.jpg
561KB, 2048x1908px
>>52925890
>>52926293
>>52926424
>>52926556

>eurocubes vs ameritrash
>meanwhile, in wargaming corner
>>
>>52926293
So you *prefer* to not play ameritrash then, ok
>>
>>52926312
>unironically liking gayborne
>>
>>52926755
At least come up with a clever put-down dude.
>>
>>52926424
I mentioned absolutely nothing at all about components, you degenerate mongoloid.

>>52926556
>eurocucks can't conceive of a way to win a game that doesn't involve having the most points
Whew lad, I guess every sport conceived by man goes out the window then, because they all use points. Points make sense, and they're convenient if you ever want to discuss games. Why the hell _not_ use them?

>>52926312
Read a real book for once, nigger.
>>
>>52927002
>Read a real book for once, nigger.
Dude I just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being like a week ago stop assuming my gender.
>>
>>52926879
Go play with garbage, pleb.
>>
File: the eurogamer.jpg (27KB, 333x242px) Image search: [Google]
the eurogamer.jpg
27KB, 333x242px
>>
>>52927285
Plenty of eurogames use dice
>>
>>52927322
And EH is still a better game than your favourite game.
>>
>>52927334
0/10 Try harder.
>>
>>52927339
>i-it can't be poss-possible, it... it has to be bait
As if >>52927285 wasn't clear enough (because, for all the boasting you're making about "playing clever games for clever people like me", you obviously aren't clever enough to get underlying messages, Mr Eurogamer), you are not welcome here.
Fuck off.
>>
>>52927354
lawl, it really doesn't matter what you ameritrash players say, you're basically braindead by default and your retardism can safely be ignored.
>>
>>52927376
>gets his ignorance shown in public
>"n-no! YOU are the one that's not clever around"
I'm clever enough to not try to create conflicts inside the fanbase of a hobby that's supposed to be about socializing and getting along. Sure, Zombicide or other mainstream shit aren't exactly what you can call good games, but the last thing we need is a rift between ameritrash and euroshit.

I'll reformulate so that your mongrel brain can understand: shove your elitism up your ass.
>>
>>52927022
>stop assuming my gender
Sorry about that, Miss (um) Niggrette.
>>
>>52927376
This.

>>52927412
>a hobby that's supposed to be about socializing and getting along
Whoa there, I didn't get the memo that I was suddenly sucked (pun intended) into a Care Bears alternate universe. Now please kindly fuck off.
>>
>>52927478
>having a hobby that requires to play with other people
>not about socializing and getting along
Go back to playing Solitaire, you sad fuck.
>>
>>52927512
'Getting along' pretty much precludes any sort of competitiveness, and competing for victory is what games are all about, dilldong.
>>
>>52927557
You do know that the word "game" is the English word with the most possible definitions excluding jargon, right? Non-competitive games are a thing. Are you foreign?
>>
>>52927660
>Non-competitive games are a thing.
Maybe among downs sufferers and people in padded cells, yeah.
>>
>>52927714
>ad hominems
This is all you're good for, aren't you? Goes to show the intelligence of the average eurogamer. Now fuck off.
>>
>>52927774
> ad ho·mi·nem
> ˌad ˈhämənəm/
> adverb & adjective
> adverb: ad hominem; adjective: ad hominem
> 1. (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
Wheps, your attempt to seem smart seems to have backfired.
>>
>>52927874
language is not made by dictionaries
>>
>>52927874
You have spoken of people who play non-competitive games as "downs sufferers and people in padded cells". You've tried to undermine what they like by making assumptions about their mental health and insecurities. That's a "reaction directed against a person" (or group of people in this case), which also has no logic nor foundation in the present case.

Better luck next time.

Also, it's written "whelp", Mr Eurogamer.
>>
>>52927931
Since you seem to be part of the downs & padded cell contingent, let me speak down to you in a way you might understand.

'Ad hominem' doesn't mean "saying mean poopyhead things to make me feelzbad".

'Ad hominem' means dismissing an argument only because it came from somebody of dubious character.

Example of an ad hominem: "we can't build Trump's immigrant wall because Trump is a jerk who grabs by the pussies".

*Not* an example of an ad hominem: "only those with downs and/or in padded cells play non-competitve games".
>>
>>52928030
Nice try but you're still a retarded ameritrash.
>>
>>52928070
>>52928132
>"Ameritrash can't be games because people who consider them as such are those with downs and/or in padded cells"
Dude, I could do this all day. Just admit that you're not cut out for this thread and kindly get the fuck out. You're just literally and objectively wrong and you're doing nothing but making people who play euroshit (like me, I actually play more euroshit than ameritrash) look bad because you're being a prick about your black-and-white dualism.
>>
>>52928135
Shit, at first I was trolling in good fun, but now it looks like you really *are* one of the downs contingent.

Read the thread again. Nobody claimed that ameritrash players are tards. The claim was that ameritrash fans exist because they never really experienced better games.
>>
>>52928135
I'm not sure why you're trying to argue for retardism but hey, you keep fighting that fight.
>>
>>52928070
Ad hominem doesn't have to go after the character of the person you are arguing against, any attribute would do. For example calling into doubt their intelligence by pointing out typos or claiming they misused a phrase would also be an ad hominem attack.
>>
>>52928159
Can I claim that ameritrash players are tards? If they get to point where they're fans of the genre then they've either existed in a very specific bubble (not impossible but very unlikely) or they are fucking braindamaged.
>>
>>52926601
What game is that?
>>
>>52928625
Who knows. There's a billion hex and chit games that all look the exactly same at a distance. My guess though would be Advanced Squad Leader.
>>
>>52928920
The map scale is wrong for ASL. It looks like some game simulating the entire Normandy landings.
>>
>>52928189
> Can I keep screaming "Stop liking what I don't like! REEEEE!!!!"? I sure can!

Congrats Anon! Your posts read like the kind of autist that even other autists won't game with. We can't wait to hear about how you play "7 Wonders" (with all 7 slots) solo because "Fuck playing with other people, I'm way more intell-e-gent and handsome than anyone else."

Tumbler's that way. ------> (You'll fit right in.)
>>
>>52929294
> Tumbler
Whew lad, it's almost like you're so buttblasted that you started throwing random insults against the wall and not even caring if they stick or make sense.
>>
>>52929294
0/10
>>
Sorry everyone i was just asking a legit question on the difference betweetn Eurogames and "Ameritrash" didnt wanted to start a flamewar. All trolling aside i see now its just preference. The name Ameritrash was confusing me. Thanks for the ones not trolling
>>
>>52929427
Just to let you know, the term "Ameritrash" is affectionate and only euronerds actually take it straight and think it has a negative connotation.
>>
>>52929459
>refering to americans who are stupid and therefore games that they play would be also be stupid, and trash
>not negative

Uh huh.
>>
>>52929500
.t euronerd

Using personal attacks feels good when you fail to debate with someone who can't argue for their own sake. (cf. above)
>>
Everyone stfu.... Both styles have good games and bad games. The"styles" aren't even well-defined anymore, with so many games incorporating aspects from both.
>>
>>52929533
>feels good
Yup, and I appreciate you conceeding the point.
>>
>>52929427
>All trolling aside i see now its just preference.
Yes, a preference for dumb games.
>>
>>52929566
But there are no good ameritrash games. The only ones you might consider are (surprise surprise) those that have euro elements. Ameritrash in itself is shit.
>>
>>52929568
I didn't conceed shit. You need better reading comprehension.
>>
>>52929620
>Didn't make any attempt at counter-point or rebuttal
>Not conceeding

Wew lad
>>
>>52929591
That's your [shitty] opinion. The definitions of all these things had changed too btw. Your using a weak label very seriously.
>>
>>52929644
Actually it's objective fact that ameritrash games are shit, and no, the labels haven't changed except apparently in the minds of dumbasses like you who are desperately trying to hold out that they're not retarded.
>>
File: master-of-orion-edycja-polska.png (434KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
master-of-orion-edycja-polska.png
434KB, 600x600px
Does anyone know anything about this game? Popped up recently, and I remember MoO fondly, is it any good?
>>
>>52929638
Okay you really *are* dumb so I'm gonna spell it for you:
>>52929459
>Just to let you know, the term "Ameritrash" is affectionate and only euronerds actually take it straight and think it has a negative connotation.
>only euronerds actually take it straight
Which means "mistakenly".
Then my other reply said
>>52929533
>.t euronerd

Meaning this isn't an argument. It's either you agree, or you're mistaken.

Goddamn, euroshitters really don't understand shit. I'm starting to doubt you actually have people to play your euroshit with considering your low social skills and your overwhelming competitive side.

Strangely enough, your behavior is oddly reminiscent of an actual American.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170427-103335~2.png (475KB, 1375x1871px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170427-103335~2.png
475KB, 1375x1871px
>>52929677
>objective fact
Totally
>>
>>52929682
we don't discuss games here anymore, go somewhere else
>>
>>52929746
I don't want to be mean and I'm not on the other guy's side but taking a ranking that mainly features recent games and has fucking Pandemic Legacy on top isn't to be trusted for anything, much less used as an argument.
>>
>>52929710
Well my point was deconstructing the term and pointing out exactly why it refers negatively to that genre, against the previous posters opinion. You on the other hand presented nothing new except more evidence of the fact you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>52929746
>argumentum ad populum

Just fuck off now
>>
>>52929776
Right, I forgot. This is a board game thread, I'll see if there's somewhere where I can ask about a board game.
>>
>>52929811
Wasn't trying to prove that ameritrash is the best or anything. Simply that they have wide appeal, so his claim of "objective fact" is bullshit.

>>52929827
>objective fact
>community opinion doesn't matter, only mine!
>objective

Really?
>>
>>52929855
Are you trying to argue that objective fact is based on opinions or have I misread your statement?
>>
>>52929873
You have. I'm saying judgement of quality is subjective. Lots of "experts" rate these games highly too you know. Objective facts regarding quality doesn't exist in gaming because everyone has an opinion.
>>
>>52929920
To a certain extent, yes, judgement of quality is subjective, however you can measure a game's parts using objective facts and come to a broad conclusion regarding its quality (shit or not shit). Of course people will argue against this which is why they're called retarded.
>>
>>52929962
And plenty of "experts" are fans of ameritrash and think some games have great mechanics and other qualities.
>>
>>52929962
Am I dreaming or you just said that the conclusion needs to be done for each case and that, as a result, you cannot label a whole genre as objectively bad?
>>
>>52929985
And they would be wrong.
>some games have great mechanics and other qualities.
Yes, eurogame mechanics and qualities.
>>
>>52930006
If the whole genre includes those parts then yes you label it as objectively bad.
>>
>>52930007
>They're wrong
Okay buddy. My enjoyment of Cosmic Encounter is some sort of delusion I guess.
>>
>>52930033
Well then let us hear those "parts". You're probably refering to dice chucking, aren't you?
>>
>>52930046
>enjoyment of Cosmic Encounter
>delusion
Oh boy, nail on the head there. But please, tell us more about the fun game you had with your fun friends who are fun.
>>
>>52930077
>I have no friends
Ah I get it now
>>
>>52930052
That would be a big one. You could try to argue that removing player agency and reducing the person's only reason to be there is that the game pieces can't move themselves, somehow makes a good game but you'd be wrong.
Likewise with player elimination, you could argue that a reward for playing a game is to be removed partway and thus prevented from actually playing the game, is the hallmark of an excellent game, and again you'd be wrong.
>>
>>52930106
0/10
>>
>>52930156
Not even Monopoly has those elements yo. Sometimes those elements can ruin a game, but not all ameritrash has those.
>>
>>52930202
I don't know what version you've played but it definitely does.
>>
>>52930202
Minus player elimination actually, I play a variant so I forgot. But still doesn't apply to all ameritrash.
>>
>>52929682
>Does anyone know anything about this game? Popped up recently, and I remember MoO fondly, is it any good?
Reviews are positive, but the MoO theme is pasted on and unrelated to the actual game, which is a tableau-building card game.
>>
>>52930156
But not all Ameritrash have those elements. Take Descent or other dungeon-crawling game. They have neither of those aspects and yet are considered overall good/great games. Even the dice-chucking part isn't bad because it actually makes sense inside the RPG narrative and prevents the game from being solved.
You can't argue an aspect is bad in itself. Player elimination can also be used half-effectively like in Boss Monster where the removal of a player has no bearing on the amount of Heroes revealed each turn, putting even more pressure on the remaining players and forcing the game to come more quickly to a close.

You can't argue a mechanic in itself is bad. You need to see how it is implemented and whether or not it makes sense when you add it to the other parts of the game.
>>
>>52930393
If an Ameritrash doesn't have basic Ameritrash elements, then it's not an Ameritrash game. I would argue that some dungeon-crawlers (those that aren't shite) fall into the hybrid category because their eurogame elements save them from being a complete wash of garbage. There is a difference between randomising elements playing the game for you and merely adding variability.

>You can't argue an aspect is bad in itself
Sure you can. Player elimination is bad and makes for a poor game (Boss Monster is garbage in other ways, not only due to this but that's something else.)
>>
>>52930636
The player elimination in Boss Monster isn't bad. You can treat it as a 2-player game if you want. It's a small flaw for most people, and plenty of euros have flaws too. If that ruins the game for you that's YOUR OPINION.
>>
>>52930636
>Player elimination is bad
Why? Certainly in some games it's a problem, but universally? You're painting in far too broad a stroke.
>All good mechanics are eurogame mechanics
>All bad mechanics are ameritrash mechanics
Oh, I see, you're just an idiot who has to reduce the world around him to oversimplified absolutes to avoid being confused and horrified by life.
Nevermind then, have a fun life.
>>
>>52930762
>plenty of euros have flaws too
Not saying they don't

>If that ruins the game for you that's YOUR OPINION.
Well that's nice and all but like I said, player elimination is objectively bad and you can argue otherwise but you're wrong.
>>
>>52930875
>You're painting in far too broad a stroke.
>A garbage mechanic that has zero nuance can't possibly be bad if it's applied everywhere.
You're an idiot

>Other waffle you typed
Not an argument but thanks for trying.
>>
>>52930882
Losing is objectively bad, how about that?
>>
>>52930882
Dude, I just argued that player elimination can have a good impact on the game (and I wasn't saying BM was a "good" game) using arguments and you come out saying "but this game is shit and many ways blahblahblah" but never saying WHY.
You are nothing but a fucking strawman arguing only on absolutes just like >>52930875 said. Enjoy your shitty autistic life.
>>
>>52930993
Not him but I don't think making a game ending sooner by ramping up difficulty for the remaining players makes player elimination an excuse at all.

Player elimination is one of the worst things a game can do. Who the fuck would rather watch their friends play a board game because they got knocked out for whatever reason (being unlucky, everyone ganged up on them, etc) instead of actually playing the game with them? The only way player elimination could be implemented and not be an abomination is if the game ended once the first player becomes eliminated.
>>
>>52930983
Except it's not just losing, its being forced from the game before it's finished.

>>52930993
I've already stated why it's bad. If you want to try arguing that it has a good impact on a game because you can quit playing a pile of garbage sooner than you would normally, that's fine, or you could not play garbage in the first place, but player elimination is a bad mechanic.
>>
>>52931104
Some games are really short so it doesn't matter. Is the player elimination in Love Letter bad too? I guess in a way, but not really.
>>
>>52931104
>Who the fuck would rather watch their friends play a board game because they got knocked out for whatever reason
I don't argue otherwise but you gotta think of it in other ways. Would you rather kill your opponents first at the risk of seeing the difficulty go up and being caught unprepared or would you rather keep piling up points for yourself while caring only about your own business.
And it's not like we're talking about the worst kind of elimination like in Bang! which is EVERYTHING BUT a good game.
>>
>>52931119
I haven't played Love Letter so I can't comment on that. I guess I'll need to edit my post that if a game takes a short amount of time (which is relative) then player elimination can be overlooked since you wouldn't be "out" for long
>>
>>52931185
Exactly (each round is really short). It's an objectively bad quality but can still be part of a good game when used properly. Just like "randomness".
>>
>>52931185
I can rec playing Love Letter. It's short, it's tactic and it's fun.
>>
>>52931220
I don't think you can use player elimination properly. It does nothing to enhance a game or make it better in any way. Player elimination is never going to be a justifiable reason for how solid a game is or how it enhances the experience playing it. The game has to be designed in such a way that player elimination is easier to ignore, which pretty much means that it has to be a quick and short game
>>
>>52931179
>you gotta think of it in other ways
Not really. Player elimination is from the perspective of the player who has been removed from the game. You can argue from a points generating standpoint (for that game) but that's just shitty design choices made by a developer who apparently couldn't think of a better way around the problem. Player elimination is still garbage.
>>
Cant you just solve player elimination like L4D ? You start again with basic equipment? Like in Zombicide or EH ( i know investigators can die but you can start with another one ) if the alternatives fail you just ressurrect the dead ones
>>
>>52931353
Well, that's not player elimination at all then.
>>
>>52931353
I don't know if you could truly call this player elimination but I do like this idea. Granted, if they restarted with the basic equipment then it would have to give them a chance to get back into the game instead of crushed by the other players who would have much better equipment. But I think that something like this is an acceptable way around this problem
>>
>>52928625
>>52928920
>>52929180

"Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944"

It's not actually a solo game, I mistook it for something with similar name and looks.
>>
>>52931353
That's not always good for the game. In co-op's it's probably fun, but in a competitive game elimination can both help speed up the endgame and prevent kingmaker scenarios by removing those who can't reasonably win from the equation.
I'm not entirely in disagreement with the eurofag though, player elimination is usually not implemented well. But saying that it's universally bad is retarded.
>>
>>52931445
Thanks anon, it looks fucking intense
>>
>>52931465
>But saying that it's universally bad is retarded.
If you can't say that it's universally bad then that means that there are instances where you can say that it's a good thing. Absolutely no one would ever say "I just got eliminated from *INSERT GAME HERE* and now I have to watch everyone else play. I'm really glad I was eliminated, this is really making the game more enjoyable for me."

Sure, the one's who are still playing will be relieved to reduce the number of players to avoid kingmaking or speeding up the game but if that's your argument then the game you're playing was designed so poorly that you had to use the shitty excuse of "well there's less people so the game will end quicker so you can play again". That's just a piss poor excuse at best.

The only way player elimination can even remotely be tolerated is if the game ends after the first elimination or the game is so short that you can start a new game soon after the first elimination.
>>
>>52931601
Wait, you were saying that games are like sports in that they should use points and shit because games are to be competitive but then you refuse to talk about elimination EVEN THOUGH elimination is inherently part of most sports? Are you forgetting that competition in its most primal form results mainly and almost only on the removal of opponents? Just to what extent are you going to keep moving the goalposts? Is a game supposed to be competitive or not?

It feels like the only good games are those that match your own personal definition.
>>
>>52931366
>>52931412
>>52931465
Sorry for not being specific, on competitive games elimination can be part of the game (if the game is really short ) or not , like Imperial 2030 , im talking about coop
>>
>>52931601
If the game ends after a player is "eliminated", that's not really player elimination, is it?
And of course no player is going to be happy about being eliminated - but you don't expect them to be happy about losing either, and no one bitches about games having losers, other than rahdo's wife. Or any game with negative player interaction. You don't get excited about having your ass plundered in Kemet, but that doesn't make it a worse game for having negative interactions. Certainly elimination is a bigger deal, though, and needs to be handled more carefully. I absolutely agree that they need to be back-loaded towards the end of the game unless the game is very short, and should generally be more difficult to pull off than is worth the effort.
In Twilight Imperium, for instance, totally extinguishing a player is a really expensive proposition. Very difficult at any stage of the game. But the threat of it helps drive negotiation, and the potential to obliterate a thorn-in-side player who is a visible kingmaking threat isn't necessarily bad. Overall, elimination is rare, expensive, and doesn't detract from the game in any way I can detect.

But there's certainly a lot more bad examples out there than good ones.
>>
>>52931695
>EVEN THOUGH elimination is inherently part of most sports
Are you talking about how teams can be eliminated from playoffs or tournaments? I don't know how you think those are related.

With sports, the teams competing get play the entire game and then whoever wins gets to go on and play more while the one who lost doesn't get to play anymore. What doesn't happen is at halftime the referees saying to the losing team "hey guys, so you're down by a lot of points and there's no way you can win so you can't play anymore. Instead, we're going to have the team beating you play these other guys who don't suck ass because it'll be a better game." So even though the loser was eliminated from the tournament, they weren't kicked out of the current game they were playing, that's the difference.

I never said that a game couldn't be competitive nor do I think it's a bad thing. What I'm saying is that the argument that player elimination is an actually good thing a game can do is completely wrong.
>>
>>52931789
>If the game ends after a player is "eliminated", that's not really player elimination, is it?
You're right, it technically isn't. What you could maybe have is that after the first player is knocked out that the game allows everyone else a few (subjective and determined by the game in question) more turns before it ends.

Of course no one likes to lose, and of course people will be upset by negative interactions. I don't think those are bad things. If you end up losing a game, at least you were a participant through the entire thing instead of a spectator for the last part of it.

I like your comments about making elimination happen near the end of the game (as long as the best part of the game doesn't happen here) or making it possible but really costly to the attacker, as you stated in Twilight Imperium (I haven't played it but I'll take your word on the topic)
>>
>>52931876
It's exactly the same as games tgat are played in rounds where each round takes out 1 player.
>>
New OP didn't link his thread
>>52929858
>>52929858
>>
>>52931876
I'm talking about how you come at a tournament, do your worst, get beaten and immediately eliminated while the other guys keep going like you said with
>With sports, the teams competing get play the entire game and then whoever wins gets to go on and play more while the one who lost doesn't get to play anymore.
You were insisting that games are like sports so why should it be any different? In Boss Monster, if you get too many wounds, you are eliminated. How is that different? The other guys made you fulfill the conditions needed for you to lose, it's the exact same thing.

>I never said that a game couldn't be competitive nor do I think it's a bad thing.
Then it must have been another anon but you get the drift. I'm against player elimination for games that last long but being eliminated is part of the competition process, just like you can lose. And sometimes, the game you're playing can turn out so badly in your favor that you wish you were eliminated because you are frustrated by what's happening instead of being forced to push until the end just to be told that you've lost when you already know this. Are you going to argue that this is also the sign of a bad game? When I played the Creature in Not Alone the other day, I mercilessly crushed the other players and won with a huge margin, do you think they were satisfied to play while not being able to pull off a move because I was good? When you see one guy far away from you in 7 Wonders piling up green cards to no end because the other players are stupid, do you really think it's fun to be still playing when you know the results already and that you've already lost any chance of winning?
>>
>>52932049
I think the real problem is medium to long games in which "last player standing" is the primary victory condition, encouraging you to aggressively remove other players as often and as early as possible. Games where it's an ancillary element to the primary method of winning and ending the game rarely suffer too much from elemination even when it's allowed.
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.