[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition D&D General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 27

File: paladinart.jpg (102KB, 515x691px) Image search: [Google]
paladinart.jpg
102KB, 515x691px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/... >>52734741
>>
no topic? heres on.

Post ideas on how to make Sorcerer stronger, and more distinct from Wizard
>>
>>52745777
Spell points
>>
>>52745777
roll a Mystic and tell your table it's a Sorceror
>>
>>52745807
I'm with this guy

Another one is how often do your players want to buy property? If they do how do you determine the income they can make running such a business?
>>
>>52745777
Have Wizards take a look at their beta work on the sorcerer and go back to that. Also have sorcerers all use sorcery points.
>>
>>52745807
Good idea but not the variant system in the DMG. The system in the DMG is far stronger than spell slots.
>>
I like how layerable the monsters' abilities can get.
>>
I have a few questions
Currently Gm'ing for a newish group of mine, my first time doing this
I have the scenario layed out and everything, and its mostly sandbox as well
My main point is that my players are currently trying to infiltrate an army camo that has sieged the city they have been in for the past few days. Can anyone help me with this scenario. The characters currently have found a way out of the city through tunnels underneath the sewer, and are still a few hundred feet from the camp lines, between the city and the besieging army, the layout of the land is farmland, with a few farmhouses, the army has only had enough time to set up siege weapons and started digging a trench to fortify their position.
>>
>>52745864
we already have spell slot to spell point ratios for spell levels 1 - 5 from flexible casting, just use those and extrapolate for higher level spells
>>
>>52745907
My main wonders are how should i simulate the stealth here and what about the siege weapons and army layout, and composition. I have 4 level 3s
>>
>>52745864
>The system in the DMG is far stronger than spell slots
How? 6-9 spells can only be cast once per day regardless.
>>
>>52745745

How the fuck does dual-wielding work in this edition?
>>
>>52746001
Get two weapons with the light property. You attack with one as your main action you can attack with the other as a bonus action with adding your stat bonus to damage.
>>
>>52746001
Fucking read the PHB.
>>
>>52746043
without*
>>
>>52745777
Instead of gaining spell slots, give Sorcerers the equivalent worth in sorcery points. Spells still "unlock" as normal.

Let them recover four points per short rest from the getgo.

Give Draconic Sorcerers permanent elemental resistance, able to upgrade to immunity with a few points.

Give them a Domain system

Give them some more spells wizards don't get. Maybe even give them access to healing.
>>
>>52746149

>>52290894
>>
West Marches campaign. I need ideas for random things they could com across in a spooky fey forest aside from two gay elves fucking.
>>
>>52746216
THREE gay elves fucking
>>
>>52746216
Bunch of bards dancing in a circle and singing to a dark god, Each bard is half bard half another class, led by a warlock type
>>
>>52746216
fifteen gay elves fucking
gives a good question, why 15 and why here
>>
File: 1459794479377.jpg (160KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
1459794479377.jpg
160KB, 1024x708px
>>52745907
>>52745948
You say you want them to infiltrate the camp? The easiest way to set it up might be to let your players use the enemies' gear to disguise themselves and infiltrate.

If the players want something less stealthy, maybe send them after some important item or person that they can use to persuade the army to desist.

In my experience, the goofy steal-the-goons-gear trope usually has good results. Infiltrating and torching that bitch from within could be pretty effective.
>>
>>52745963
After casting your 6-9th level slots you can still cast a dozen 5th level spells with a few 1st or 2nd level spell left. 5th level spells are still very powerful, even at max level. Assuming 3 rounds per combat and 6 combats per day you can almost cast a 5th level or higher spell every turn.
>>
>>52746043
>they have to be light

So I was reading it correctly and it's completely fucking pointless then. It literally exists so dual-scimitar Drizzts are possible, doesn't it?
>>
>>52746383
You can get a feat that lets you use any non-two handed weapon anon.
>>
>>52746383
Why does it requiring light weapons make it such a big deal to you? Hell just take the Dual Wielder feat and you can Dual Wield two of anything that isn't twohanded.
>>
>>52746216
Three hags_ fucking
>>
>>52746347
Someone already acquired some gear, I'll probably use some of your advice and make it goofy as shit
>>
>>52746216
Dead corrupted unicorn being eat by a paladin of Io because he believe is enact eating darkness away. And next to him is a sobbing pure maiden. There are other unicorns there too, but they dare not enter the corrupted land.
>>
new to /5eg/. Found the SRD on astranauta.github.io and it's great, perfectly formatted to make quick 3x5 index-size spell cards out of, but i wanted to check and see if anyone had a pdf or something for all non-domain (or with domain, doens't matter) Cleric spells.
>>
>>52746347

Is this one of those lich beholders?
>>
>>52746394
>>52746404

So, I could use, say, a Longsword and a War Pick? Because that would be fucking dope as a pope with a scope.
>>
>>52746216
A Gay dwarf fucking a Human Gay bodybuilder
>>
how do i roleplay a catgirl necromancer that likes farting?
>>
File: werewolf.jpg (150KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
werewolf.jpg
150KB, 960x600px
Need ideas. A clan of werewolves lives in the middle of the woods. What would their "settlement" look like?
>>
>>52746489
a big smelly poopy poop poop pee butthole smell hole lole
>>
>>52746489
lots of tents, only temporary,although that depends on how prominent and accepted werewolfs are. I'd imagine furs from animals they hunt.
>>
>>52746241
>>52746261
>>52746465
>>52746506
Are you all gay?
>>
>>52746489

An abandoned, supposedly cursed village. The abandoned village isn't actually cursed. However, the actual reason no one goes there anymore is due to a bandit raid decades ago.
>>
>>52746531
this guy fucking op
when the pcs approach, this guy asks, Are you all gay?
>>
>>52746216
A cradle made entirely out of wicker, with a doll constructed from teeth stitched together resting in it

A woman lamenting the fact that her love is dead who disintegrates into narcissus petals when you ask her when their love died

A thorny bramble that has fishhook like thorns

A pot of wonderful smelling stew bubbling over an empty firepit coated in ice

A small clearing where the wind only blows down the grass selectively, leaving perfectly upright grass in strange patterns

A tree with fruit that drips with juices. Upon tasting the fruit or the juices, the taster finds them to taste like herbs rather than fruit

Fireflies that insist on landing on the party until they leave their glade

A tree with nooses hanging from it's branches. On closer inspection, the nooses are made of tawny hair.
>>
So my moon druid is gonna be op as fuck apparently. While they're busy trying to bask in the glory that's my PC, I'm going to take the dm's wife into the back room and fuck her brains out.
>>
>>52746584
??????
>>
>>52745745

Is making a party of PC's face off against a party of NPC's (of equal number and level, built like PC's themselves) fair?

I want to do a battle royal arc, with teams of 4, but I don't know if it would be a cakewalk, or if they'd get stomped. I know that in general the advice is to not build encounters like PCs, but I really want to bring back old character sheets from past campaigns and have them face off against parties of the past (not bringing back their actual past PC's, just their builds). I think it would be really cool and want to see if they notice at all.
>>
So let me get this straight. A level 20 Fighter, dual-wielding, would get four attacks with his main weapon and four with his offhand? If he used Action Surge, would that be eight with his main weapon and four with his offhand for a total of twelve?
>>
>>52746651
Normal: 4 attacks + 1 offhand.
Action Surge: 8 attacks + 1 offhand.
>>
>>52746651
Attacking with your off hand is a bonus action, so no
>>
>>52746489

Realistically, a normal village but all the doors and ceilings would be atypically high. Lots of smokehouses for meat, and a lot less grain than usual. Pelts fucking everywhere. Maybe a few chew toys for the puppers.
>>
>>52746462

You can totally do that. Make sure you pick either fighter or ranger for the two-weapon-fighting and then you can add your attack modifier to the damage of all three attacks!
>>
>>52746531

It's a bot or butthurt Pathfondler fans.
>>
>>52746584
That's called rape.
>>
>>52746641
Depends entirely on how optimized they are. Obviously a ranger with humans as his chosen enemy better against a party of humans. A wizard with a shit ton of hold person would be better than sleep.
>>52746651
1 attack, not attack action but just single melee attack, with their bonus action. So duel wielding is not a viable strategy for fighters and paladins benefit more from PAM.
>>
>>52746216

A hedge maze. Hedge mazes are spooky as fuck. While they're in it, they constantly hear, at a distance, the sound of snipping shears trimming back and pruning the maze, but they never see what's causing it.
>>
>>52746651
No, Action Surge only grants an extra action, no extra bonus action.
>>
>>52746641
id say make the enemies stronger but stupider
>>
>>52746698
>paladins benefit more from PAM

How do you reckon?
>>
>>52746698

It's not worth it!? What's PAM? I was assuming if I want BIG DAMAGE dual-wielding or two-handing was the way to go...
>>
>>52746687
Only if she doesn't consent.
Who knows maybe she gets turned on by character optimization.
>>
>>52746687
Nah she wants to fuck. I shouldn't but I'm the alpha so yeah she's ready to get in bed with a stud.
>>
>>52746641
Lethal battles? That would be extremely difficult to balance. To the point where id say trying to force it to work would be far too much effort.

Non-lethal tournament esque fights though? Just make them less optimized. Wizards using weaker blast spells, Fighter rolled poorly on his level up health, etc.
>>
>>52746725
Calm down sleetor
>>
Rogue 1 / Trickery Cleric X?
Would it work? I think trickery cleric lack of skill proficiency and finesse weapon can be fix with a dip.
>>
What if there was a race with a trait that was the opposite of the Halfling's Lucky? Obviously they'd need a strong positive trait to make up for it.

If the player rolls a 20, they reroll it and take the new result.

I posed this to my friends and they freaked the fuck out. Personally, I think it's not that bad and could be balanced out. However, it would really suck to play since you'd be punished for rolling 20s.
>>
>>52746712
Pallys get their damage more from smite than their weapon and being able to get not only on bonus attack but also reliably on reaction is super good.
>>52746721
Polearm Master.
If you want big damage go great weapon master (GWM). PAM is good for constant damage towards the enemy, GWM is big bursts and TWF is, mechanically, worse than the others but still fine.
>>
>>52746744
Of course it's possible to balance. It's just kinda stupid and isn't needed.
>>
>>52746698
>>52746706

Should I buff the enemies' HP? One of the PC's is paladin and I've had a few monsters just melted due to smite crits.

And yeah, I guess I'd make the enemies not have perfect coordination, since that would be unfair as DM.
>>
>>52746712
On demand Bonus Action attack on either a Reach weapon or Quarterstaff (allowing for Sword & Board) plus the reaction attack on coming into range.
>>
>>52746748
So hoping that the one enemy you want to go full nova on walks into your 5ft reach is far better than having two actually good hit die all day long? Actually, with the duelist fighter style you get more AC and more damage since the 2 flat damage applies on your 1d4 attack too. So nevermind.

>>52746757
I suppose if youre not using the quarterstaff its noticeably better.
>>
>>52746731

What makes it so difficult to balance, do you think?

Also, any alternatives to just building them like PCs? I want to make it a lethal battle thing.
>>
>>52746744
That sounds terrible. You could balance it out, sure, but it's trash.
>>
>>52746754
Pally's have VERY strong burst up until late game where it goes to the fighter unless the fighter is always blowing his action surges. Either just blow more of his smites by throwing more shit at him or give some more HP to enemies.
>>52746771
>5ft reach
Bitch you have a glaive, you got a 10 foot reach and its a reaction so you can choose when to do it and you can do it every turn. You get two hits naturally for your smites and then a 3rd because half the enemies in the game will run in at least past you towards your allies.
>>
Eldritch Knights, are they good?

...As good as Paladins?
>>
>>52746800
at what level? EK's are slow burners but they get much better at higher levels
>>
>>52746800
They're too different to compare to Paladins. Their mostly amazing tanks. Wear Plate, take the Defence Fighting Style and Cast Shield when it'll help, anything that gets past your AC should be hindered by either Heavy Armour Master or Absorb Elements.
>>
>>52746800
Well, shield is a great spell. At mid levels, they also gain this interesting ability where they can cast a spell after making an attack. You can hit some guy, then cast blade ward to reduce its damage by half. It's pretty good tanking. It's burst damage is not as good as a pally's though.
>>
Is having always 25 AC actually going to be useful or should I not bother multiclassing and go for just 20 AC?
>>
>>52746744
Would be hard to balance because a smart player would just avoid attack rolls and use save spells.
>>
File: chrome_2017-04-17_02-27-21.png (102KB, 1280x906px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-04-17_02-27-21.png
102KB, 1280x906px
>>52746445
hardcodex.ru has you covered. They don't have an option for 3x5 index cards but if you install any Adobe product it'll come with Adobe printer, and you should be able to mess with the margins like in this screenshot so that only one card prints out on a sheet.Might want to keep an eye on your printer while they're spitting out though.
>>
>>52746856
Then again that's how Kobolds work. Only keep around one good Attack spell for when you can get advantage, Scorching Ray works well.
>>
>>52746820
>Defense

Whoa, no. You want a two-hander with EKs because of shenanigans with freeing a hand to cast.
>>
>>52745777
MORE METAMAGIC

DOUBLE SPELL- DOUBLES THE EFFECTS OF A SPELL
AOE SPELL- TURNS A SINGLE TARGET INTO AN AOE
CONCENTRATED SPELL- TURNS AN AOE INTO A SINGLE TARGET AND DEALS MORE DAMAGE/EFFECT
BRUTAL SPELL- TURNS A NON DAMAGING SPELL INTO A DAMAGING SPELL
COMPOSITE SPELL- CAST TWO SPELLS AT ONCE
DELAYED SPELL- CAST A SPELL THAT SITS THERE UNTIL YOU WANT IT TO GO OFF
>>
>>52746881
>You want a two-hander with EKs because of shenanigans with freeing a hand to cast

You can just put your sword away for free and draw it when making an attack. Somatic components are the easiest thing in the world to get around.
>>
>>52746856
>>52746871
I did this mostly to gauge my players' sense of balance.

One of my players suggested setting the race's minimum attributes to 12 (if under 12, bump it to 12). That would be absolutely insane with point buy- 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8 would become 15, 15, 15, 12, 12, 12. Even with that insanity, another one of my players said he still wouldn't take that tradeoff... and his PC almost exclusively uses saves (Alchemist Artificer).

My players kind of disappointed me with their sense of balance/lack of game knowledge.
>>
>>52746839

Not until high levels, anyway. An EK is still a Fighter, with all of those attacks and all of those goodies.
>>
>>52746903
Let's be honest, people like doing something special. Crits are cool and let you do a lot of damage, whenever you land one you feel good. Having to reroll that die every time would feel shit.

Plus they're most likely normies who don't even know how to calculate average damage.
>>
>>52746883

KAWAII SPELL - A CUTE GIRL APPEARS AND CASTS THE SPELL FOR YOU. ROLL 1D6. ON A 1, SHE'S TSUNDERE AND THEREFORE AWFUL. ON A 6, SHE'S YANDERE AND THEREFORE AWESOME. ON ANY OTHER RESULT SHE'S JUST YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND AND DOOMED TO OBSCURITY.
>>
>>52745777

>>52290894

Also definitely add a 'delayed spell' somewhere.
>>
>>52746923
Yeah, I know. I knew it would really stir the pot since it's a negative trait and loss aversion is a thing.

I was just surprised since my players are intelligent people... but I guess I should have realized that it means nothing in DnD. One of the players is a lawyer and constantly forgets his abilities. Another is an aeronautical engineer who has trouble adding attribute bonus+proficiency to d20 rolls. It's fucking weird, man.
>>
Could a Warlock serve an Ancient Dragon? I had the idea of a Kobold Chainlock with a Pseudodragon Familiar using it to get the Advantage on Eldritch Blasts. I guess Fiend or Fey would work easy enough for the Patron.

The other option is to go Ravenlock and refluff the Raven as a small Dragon.
>>
Are morningstars more like a mace or like a flail?
>>
>>52746883
>BRUTAL SPELL- TURNS A NON DAMAGING SPELL INTO A DAMAGING SPELL

I want to use this.
>YOU COMPREHEND LANGUAGES SO HARD THAT EVERYTHING IN A TEN FOOT RADIUS BURSTS A BLOODVESSEL AND TAKES 2D6 DAMAGE

>YOU CAST WATERBREATHING. AND THEN A MOTHERFUCKING SHARK COMES OUT OF THE WATER AND CHOMPS ON A RANDOMLY SELECTED CREATURE. 5D8, RESTRAINED.
>>
>>52746973
I would say he'd have to be on the older side of ancient but sure. And any patron can work depending on the color.
>>
>>52746980
Morning stars are just maces with spikes
>>
>>52746901
"On your turn, you can interact with one object for free, either during your move or during an action (PH, 190). One of the most common object interactions is drawing or stowing a weapon." http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

How to maintain threat with opportunity attacks and keep a hand free to cast shield? Dropping weapons is clumsy. GG if some magic fuck mage hands that shit away from you.
>>
>>52747009
What DM actually keeps the 1 action limit as written? Because drinking a tankard of ale does not take the same time or effort as letting go of your sword with one hand to toss a fireball then grab it again.
>>
>>52747009
It's still a viable tactic even though it's janky as fuck, GWM does better damage of course but there's no interaction with it and somatic that's so great.

Also if your fighter carries less then 6 weapons you're doing something wrong.
>>
Is it normal to have your arcane focus be a weapon?
>>
>>52747038
If it's a staff or a scepter then I see no reason why you can't beat bitches with it.

If not then just keep a knife shoved down your robe for when you need it.
>>
>>52746948

You son of a fucking bitch this isn't just a lie it's some fucking blasphemy. Back me up, guys, this motherfucker needs a stoning.
>>
>>52747030
>drinking a tankard of ale in six seconds

Is this the true power of adventurers!?
>>
>>52747047

All this talk about EKs is making me imagine some dude carrying around a big two-handed maul whose haft is literally some mage's staff with a hammerhead stuck onto the end.
>>
>>52747063

The legend of the Kara-Turian officer, Katsuragi Misato, carries on..
>>
>>52747063
My mistake, its a flagon, not a tankard.
Regardless, it takes more time to do that than to let go of a sword, point a finger, and grab again.
>>
>>52747096
>it takes more time to do that than to let go of a sword, point a finger, and grab again

Hah, look at this lightweight and laugh.

Also, somatic is not just pointing a finger, it's several handgestures and, sometimes, with proper incantations and shit.
>>
File: maxresdefault[2].jpg (154KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[2].jpg
154KB, 1680x1050px
>>52747085

There are many ways to do it. Honestly, magic hammers are much cooler than magic swords or axes.
>>
>>52747030
Personally, I don't, but 4 out of the 4 DMs I've had for 5e have maintained that rule.

>>52747031
I agree it's viable and fighters should carry an arms locker. But yeah, I recommend GWM specifically to avoid this weird interaction.
>>
>>52747112
I understand that casting isn't as easy as just throwing a fastball fireball but those gestures are part of the full action and not the item interaction.
>>
>>52747096
>flagon

You can drink your fancy ales, you can drink them by the flagon! But the only brew for the brave and true...
>>
>>52747112

It's mystic Naruto handsigns in terms of complexity, honestly.
>>
My DM wants roleplay, and my character is a dont give a shit about anything but himself kinda Rogue (True Neutral)
I snuck into a building and accidentally alerted the guards, but managed to hide.
The guards came outside to find my party waiting around for me and got in a big fight.
So I ended up looting the place, getting what we needed from it (a map) and leaving.
On the way out I ran by them fighting and rode back to the forward camp

Entire team is pissed at me but I ended up getting the map back to forward camp and into a general who hired the parties hands which allowed him to cut off a resupply line and strengthen our assault into enemy lands.

I did what my character would do and the players, not their characters are pissed.
>>
>>52745745
Playing a Tiefling Nomad Mystic with the investigator background. My main weapon is a short bow. Planning to take Awakened disciplines once all the Nomad ones are all equipped. He is some much fun to play as.
>>
>>52746725
Holy shit, you are one deluded fuck. Go back to Mrs Palmer.
>>
>>52747164
Of course they're pissed, because D&D is a group game, you shithead. Alas people still make douchy characters "that only care about themselves". Make a character that will work with the party and people won't get pissed at you, anon.

The least you could've done was, as you ran by the party, ask in-character if they could handle themselves and are ok with you riding out ahead.
>>
>>52747164

Probably because dickass thief Rogues are an annoying stereotype and your grammar is atrocious. You should have stayed and helped. They survived, right? Then you helping would not have significantly endangered your mission.
>>
>>52747183

Tell me about Mystics.

>>52747198

It's some Pathfondler realizing that Paizo is slowly dying and shrieking about it here, cool your jets.

>>52747285

This.

>B-But muh cool guys like Han Solo who didn't give a shit about anyone but themselves!

Wrong. Han was awesome because he DID actually give a shit, that's why he came back to help Luke, stuck around on Hoth, and ended up in carbonite. He's a perfect male tsundere.
>>
>>52747131

COMES FROM THE GREEN DRAGON!
>>
So let me get this straight, because I've heard conflicting things, is DnD 5e balanced around having magic items (+X weapons and such) around or not?
>>
>>52747342
I am pretty sure is balanced by that your campaign can finish even without magical +x weapons.

That being said, it is still fairly important for the PC to have some sort of way to bypass the normal weapon immunities.
>>
>>52747285
>>52747291
Quest was to get a map of supply lines and their times and get it back to forward base so the general could push an assault. I got the map, ran by them with it in my hands and yelled got it and took off. They ended up staying to fight, got a bridge taken out because they wouldn't disengage and then spent a full day repairing a bridge and taking their time getting back to camp.
The DM (general) said this was time sensitive and they ignored that because 'combat' and wanting to be murder hobos
>>
>>52747342
The game is designed and balanced around not needing the ability to pick and choose your magic items for a build, and is largely tuned for fewer magic items to be available.

It IS assumed that your characters will eventually manage to come across some magical gear though, which is why the high CR enemies don't take immunity or resistance to non-magical weapons into account when calculating CR.

Bounded accuracy means straight + bonuses to hit and increasing DC's have much higher impact though, and should be managed carefully on the DM's end.
>>
>>52747306
And to you, it's about playing your character, if your character is self centred but hired because he gets the job done, then they should get that.
The paladin wants me locked up if it wasn't for the greater good of this military action but he's the only other dude who plays his character.
Everyone else flipflops from 'I'm super charismatic' to screeching and bashing a dudes head in.
>>
>>52747384

If they WOULDN'T disengage, it's their fault. If they COULDN'T disengage, it's your fault.
>>
What's the best class for a Cowboy? I was thinking Sharpshooter for damage, Hunter for awesome or an Assassin for awesome one hit kills with a pistol.

My DM lets Crossbow Expert work with Muskets and Pistols.
>>
>>52747428

None of that stops self-centered people from being obnoxious as fuck. That's like making a pedophile character and then going "How can you criticize me for roleplaying!? Raping orphans is an important part of this game for me!"
>>
>>52747486
They could, as soon as I passed them there was no one. They chose not too and one of the enemies disengaged to follow me after another two round and broke the bridge to trap the other party members.
>>
>>52747503

Then that's their fault. If you'd just used them as a distraction and ditched it would be your fault, which is what I'd initially assumed.
>>
>>52747502
Well maybe I'm sick of playing boring good characters and wanted to do something I've never done before.

I've played a Cleric, a paladin, a ranger, a monk, a warlock and a fighter. All of them a good alignment.
It's nice having a change.
>>
>>52747384
you not wanting to help them and them sticking around and fight are two issue. Both are at fault.

I dont know why you are even surprised that anyone would be mad

>>52747519
Ok if maybe it is more their fault then if that is the case... but did even mention in game that the group has to go now and you got the map?
>>
>>52747519
Worst part was that the DM spoke up and reminded them that they were on a specific mission and they ignored it. The one guy was supposed to be playing an extremely loyal soldier as well, though he plays him as a 'I have to kill anything I see no matter what'
>>
>>52747536
Have you considered that what makes a character boring has little to do with their alignment?
>>
>>52747536

Why don't you try playing a faggot because clearly you have plenty of experience at that.
>>
>>52747553
Refer to
>>52747384
Specifically
>running by them with the map saying I got it.
>>
>>52747565
Don't get me wrong, I get that, but it gets to the point where myself, the DM and one other guy want to roleplay or use our skills to talk to enemies and the other four guys jumo straight into 'I hit him with my axe'.
And it becomes nothing but a video game of hack and slash.
>>
Man the dms wife called me earlier so I went over there right? Turns out she's a naughty little cum slut mmmm.
>>
>>52747611
I see your predicament. Unfortunately, that's outside my area of expertise. Do what feels right, just don't dick things up more than necessary.

>>52747632
Look man, I know that D&D is basically just playing pretend, but can you keep your - likely literally - masturbatory fantasies to yourself?
>>
For Magic Circle spell how do you phrase the material component?

> M (holy water or powdered silver and iron worth at least 100 gp, which the spell consumes)

Is it
a) Holy Water (25gp according to PHB) or Other stuff (100gp)
b) Holy Water (4x so it worth 100gp) or Other stuff (also 100gp)
>>
>>52746489
Good-aligned werewolves worship Selune, and would likely appear as any other small settlement. Poking around might lead to them expelling you to keep their secret. They would also be polite but distant, as they just want to live in peace.
>>
>>52747693
I would normally just hand wave things like this. But I would interpret it as either 4x Holy water, or silver+iron worth at least 100 gp.
>>
Cleric wins init.
>I delay my turn until after the Fighter has acted in case he needs healing
This is against the rules, but what is the reasoning? Does it break the game in some way?
>>
>>52747717
delay doesn't exist in 5e.The dev want combat to be easier instead of shuffling initiative mess like the previous edition. It also lessen the mental burden of DM (who have to keep track of every units in combat) and reduce the none game time (switching the order on initiative board might only take a few second, but if that happen every round in every combat, that is several minutes wasted).

Also he could set up a ready action to heal. Which will largely achieve the same thing
>>
Sorcerers get spells in discipline like packs. What changes?
>>
>>52747744
That + spellpoints and Sorcerer's are one of the better classes.
>>
>>52747758
>>52747744
Isn't that just a Wu Jen Mystic though
>>
File: 1461512058906.png (308KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1461512058906.png
308KB, 500x502px
>>52745777
>paladin art as OP
>No topic? Lets talk about how to buff a full caster!
>>
Anyone else sad there's no Fey or Enchantment Sorcerer yet?

We have Dragons, Storms, Oceans, Fire, Divine, Shadow, Gish and Chaotic Wildness. I feel like it's all a bit too heavy on the blaster side when a Sorcerer can be one of the best Enchanters with Twinned Spell.
>>
Designing a cursed Legendary piece of armor for my game, let me know what you guys think.

Abyssal Breastplate

Legendary (requires attunement)

Description: this breastplate (and subsequent gauntlets) are made of a jet black metallic substance that seem to pulse and glimmer with tendrils of shadow in low-light settings.

Benefit: gain a +2 bonus to AC, and you do not have Disadvantage on Stealth checks while wearing this armor. Once a day, you may teleport up to 400 feet as a Move action, so long as the starting square and ending square are cloaked in low-light or darkness.

Cursed: Once a day on each month, you must make a DC 15 WIS save or be swallowed up by the shadows and teleported to the Shadowfell. Once there, you are hunted endlessly by an ethereal wolf creature that seeks to kill your body and devour your soul until you return to the Material Plane.
>>
>>52747804
So once a month the campaign stops for everyone except the "cursed" character?
>>
>>52745777
Each archetype gets a free 1st - 5th level spell that is Sorcerer-only tied into their archetype when they hit that spell level normally (so 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level). If this means making more 1st through 5th level spells then do it, they just have to make sense from a flavor standpoint.
>>
Do other websites complain about Sorcerers or just us? If other people do then we have a real chance of getting a remake right?
>>
>>52747830
I'd only introduce the item once the group had access to Plane Shift, no way am I going to throw that at a level 7-10 party.

I'd also leave hints for the rest of the party as to where this character went to. As for the "cursed" guy, they just have to find a way home or wait until the group rescues him.

It's not meant to actually be used; if anything, I expect the PCs to try and remove the curse and see if it still keeps it's shadow-teleporting powers or turns into something else.
>>
>>52747852
I do remember hearing that other than the Ranger, Sorcerer was the least liked class, because they just seemed like a weaker blaster mage when compared to Warlock and them EBing everything to dust.

I know the beta Sorcerer was being taken into an interesting direction but the 3.X grognards bitched so hard that WotC just took the 3.5 Sorcerer, stapled 'Metamagic only' to their foreheads and gave us the 5e Sorc.
>>
>>52747797
Feytouched Sorcerer
Your gay power is the result of being molested by a powerful Archfey and them leaving some piece of their essence inside you (their cum).
LETS MAKE SOME HOMEBREW LADS
>>
>>52747876
Hopefully they eventually take the hint. The fact everyone either seems to ban it or homebrew a fix means something most likely needs to done.
>>
>>52747891
I forget exactly what the playtest Sorcerer was (I think the Mega has the documents for the playtest materials) but I think it was going to turn them into the premiere gish class for 5e, taking elements of the Duskblade from 3.5 and using Spell Points for their magic instead of spell slots AND having Metamagic, so they could nova something if it REALLY needed to die, but afterwards would be tapped of everything but the basic cantrips while the other spell slot casters could still go on.
>>
Sorcerer and Monk should be dropped
They're pointless
Add an official Brawler fighter subclass and just drop the Monk
Add a Wild Mage Wizard who does some whacky stuff with magic and drop the Sorc
Hell you could add the Scout from UA and drop the Ranger
And add a knight subclass for Fighter and drop the Paladin...

...hmmm
>>
>>52746855
Need more info on how you are attaining this 25 AC? I am guessing some type of Bladesinger multiclass? Without knowing more all I can say is that putting all of your eggs into the AC basket to have "the best" AC isn't as effective as just having "great" AC and putting that power into another aspect of your character.
>>
What is the best soell to use with glyph of warding for cleric?
>>
>>52747945
Monk is fine I thought, if a bit underpowered. They're great for early levels due to Flurry of Blows and then eventually Stunning Palm, but their damage falls off in the higher levels due to lack of magical items that benefit them and that their AC kind of hardcaps itself at 20, assuming you don't get one of the stat-boosting books and it doesn't go to the Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Rogue, or DEX Fighter/Paladin.
>>
>>52747945
Paladin aren't knight
>>
>>52746800
Not many class will be as good as paladin.

Paladon is top tier in 5e.
>>
>>52747945
You could also drop everything except Magic guy and not-magic guy. Classes exist as a framework for characters with certain abilities and I think their all fine at doing that and none need to be buffed.

All classes are at least fine, just some are weaker and it'd be nice to have them buffed.

>>52747971
Whereas a DEX anyone's AC only reaches 20 with +3 Armour. If they're using a Shield then they can't use the best damage dealing abilities and nobody ever talks about how great their Sword and Board guy is.

Hell you need +2 Plate to get to Monk's max AC and I'm sure that giving a Monk a Cloak of Protection's more reasonable then assuming everyone will get +2 or +3 Armour.
>>
>>52747804
I don't think it works at all.
1. Why does abyssal plate send you to shadowfel rather than, say, the abyss?
2. Its main benefit is simply just being a +2 armour. ... Really.
3. Its curse seems just silly. Demon armour for example is there to make it harder to fight demons. An arrow attracting shield draws arrows to you whether you like it or not. A cursed luckstone does the opposite of what you'd hope.
But this... This just teleports you somewhere whenever it feels like it and gets you hunted. Why doesn't it just pulverize your insides instead? Though I guess there's good reasons, it doesn't feel like something armour should be doing. But I suppose if you theme it more as a 'teleportation armour' then it'd make sense. If it was an armour less about having a slight boost to AC and a 1/day teleport and instead something silly like at-will 15ft teleports.
>>
>>52747921
The beta sorcerer functioned based on the bloodline.
Draconic bloodline for instance turned them into a power house and made them into a great gish, while presumably other bloodlines would have different impacts.

The gist of it was that as you spent spell points you 'lost control' and more of your bloodline's nature would assert itself. So sure the draconic sorc could go wild and nuke someone as you pointed out, then be out of MP, except not only out of MP, now they would start to have visible dragon scales, fearsome claws, and other benefits that made them like a dragon on the battlefield based on how many points they were missing.

As is now we just have weaker versions of those bloodline traits, but they're always on, and the casting was just made into an almost strictly worse wizard.

Honestly while the grognards are responsible for the whole concept being dropped, I also think part of the reason it was abandoned was because the whole "using certain abilities lowers MP but raises WILD, and vice versa is a great concept when it's either very simplified or you have a computer monitoring it for you, which they'd have to spend significantly more time figuring out.
>>
>>52747971
Monks have bad damage at all levels.

The issue with monks is their 'minimum skill level' is quite high, but their maximum skill level is quite low. You just have to understand what not to do with them, and you're done.
Run in, mobilepunch stunning fist, run out because you're not a fucking tank, actually get wisdom/dexterity.
>>
>>52747945
Just play AD&D
>>
>>52748019
That honestly sounds fucking awesome, it's exactly what I want from a character who's part Dragon. Would it be possible to convert the latest version they made into a proper class for current 5e?
>>
>>52748019
>the more they nuke and nova the more focused they become
That would be radical as shit. Earth sorcerers get tanky as shit, storm sorcerers start dealing constant storms around them.
>>
>>52748051
In theory, sure.
But in practice it's a lot of fucking effort, given their version was only like 5 levels, only had the draconic bloodline, and was before a lot of the design decisions that solidifed the 5e core were made..
>>
How dastardly would it be to have the party encounter a succubus at level 3?
>>
>>52748081
Well shit. That's a shame. At least some of the Sorcerer options are actually powerful and fun. Shadow and Stone mainly.

Hopefully they can fix the class by making some better subclasses in splatbooks. It's not terrible but does feel like a worse Wizard the way it is.
>>
>>52748107
Who knows?
Realize that they won't necessarily just try to kill the party just because.

Just encountering one, I doubt it'd have any reason to do anything with the party aside from playfulness/stealing shit.

If it's actually guarding something, it'd likely be more of a social encounter trying to make the players give up and basically it'd test how the party is at handling liars.
>>
>>52747855
For lower levels (but you wouldn't give a +2 armor to low-level characters, would you?), you could have the curse happen in a dream dimension, with effects as per the Dream spell, and/or the 'devour soul' part just weaken instead of outright kill the cursed guy.
Btw, breastplates don't give disadv to stealth... do you mean that with that armor you just CAN'T get disadv? Like, no matter what? That could be useful.
>>
>>52747306
>Tell me about Mystics.
A pretty flexible class, depending on what yopu wan to do will decide the order and disciplines (spell equiv\) you'll take. It's is not op that argument is greatly exaggerated. Their version of cantrips are weaker sand you'll rely on disciplines for most of your damage and abilities.

As mentioned before I play a nomad mystic so most of my abilities revolve around teleportation, combat control, stealth and ranged combat.

Overall the class needs a tweak here and there and it will be fine not OP not underpowered.
>>
>>52745824
or you could just never play that disgusting pile of garbage.
>>
>>52747960
Fighter 1/ War Mage X.

18 Plate + 2 Shield + 1 Defence Fighting style + 2 from Arcane Deflection and + 2 While I'm concentrating at levels 10+. I've talked with my DM and we both agree it's fine because I give up Spellcasting levels and I can still be hit and fail saves, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

The other option is 13 Mage Armour + 3 DEX + 2 Arcane Deflection + 2 While Concentrating.
>>
>>52748158
My idea is to have the succubus masquerading as the countess of a town and when the party arrives, they'll draw the fiend's attention as potential new subjects to charm and all that
I'll have to be sly about it, though, since the party contains a paladin so the entire ordeal is one Divine Sense away from being exposed but that's what makes it fun from a DM perspective, right?
>>
File: salt.gif (276KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
salt.gif
276KB, 640x360px
Is it ever acceptable to just reroll the same exact character? Plying a very high lethality campaign, I've had characters die before, but I was especially attached to this one in particular and simply wasn't done playing it. No one in my group has ever just remade a clone of their dead character and I don't want to be the first, but I really wasn't done.
>>
>>52748192
Well, I don't really see why they'd want to 'charm and all that' a party of armed and magical people.
I'd see it more as 'Posing as a countess, and asking the party to fetch or do X for them' to help them achieve whatever goals they have. And probably offering something of a reward they might actually give, such as the obvious for a succubus.
>>
>>52748199
Come back as revenant? Wait until you get a resurrection spell?
>>
>>52748199
If characters can just be cloned then death serves no purpose.

Its one thing to dust off an old character for a new campaign but for the same guy to just show up again? And adventure with the same party? With a corpse that had the same stuff and the same looks somewhere in a dungeon?

Come on son
>>
>>52748199
You can probably make a similar character once and get away with it. Keep doing it or make literally the same character, same name and everything or 'their identical twin brother' and you'll probably get a boot to the head.

You've got to learn to part with your losses and be creative, and sometimes you can do a concept in a different way.
>>
>>52748237
I dig it. Thanks, anon
>>
>>52748189
Arcane deflection only work once per round and it eat your reaction.
>>
>>52748245

Revenants are banned (but even if they weren't there is no important unfinished task that would justify it in-character). My body is way off in the wilderness, possibly eaten. True Resurrection is never ever going to happen due to how low level the campaign is.
>>
>>52748266
Still with 21-23 AC I'll only have to pop it if it'll help. My DM does attacks in the open so no one bitches about dying so I'll be able to see if I should use it or not.
>>
>>52748189
>It's fine because you give up spellcasting levels
Yet the plate armour + shield + defense is like casting shield every turn for all eternity but stronger. Not to mention +4 HP and second wind.

Really, the only fair way to have heavy armour on a wizard is either dwarf+feat or feat+feat+feat or perhaps three levels of fighter/cleric instead of just one. I mean, cleric3/wizard X can work and you can cast warding bond with it for +1 AC, along with shield of faith.
>>
>>52748257

At this point I've played every class except for two that just don't appeal to me at all, was getting bored as fuck and started taking excessive risks to kill off my previous character because I got tired of him, and had just finally found something I was enjoying again.
>>
>>52748333
I did consider Cleric 1, Wizard X then picking up Cleric 2 or 3 latter. Thought about Arcana for skills and cantrips, Forge but that's ridiculous or Tempest for cool Lighting boosts and defence.
>>
What kind of Cleric should I roll for CoS?

Light Cleric: Blast everything
Arcana Cleric: Magic initiate + GFB meme build
Knowledge Cleric: True utlility probably with ritual caster (Wizard)
>>
>>52748339
Yeah. Mechanically, you can get away with the same class concept, especially if you didn't do much of it, but it's harder to get away with the same backstory concept.

>>52748358
Well, in any case, single level dips to go from unarmoured to heavy armour tend to feel pretty unbalanced. Especially with cleric who doesn't lose spell slots, but they don't lead onto action surge / have +1 AC.
If the DMs fine with it then eh, but really I see far too many fighter/cleric 1 + wizard X which often really sounds like 'I want to play the class whose weakness is being pretty squishy but I want to not be squishy and have better saves'.

>>52748390
I actually like the knowledge cleric, but it might not be so great in CoS where your DM might just say 'No, you've never been here before, you don't know shit.'
>>
>>52748390
Light Cleric
Blast that shit.
>>
Watch Black Sails then make a Pirate Tempest Cleric
Talk the DM into giving you lightning lure, then pull niggas over and fuck them up
Your spiritual weapon could be a storm hammer oh god
>>
>>52748390
War Cleric and beat the evil out of zombies.
Be a Not Paladin
>>
>>52748414
Are there many stuff for me to blast?
>>
>>52748404
Yeah I can understand how the Plate Armour feels bad but there's nothing worth it with Medium Armour which I'd be fine with.

It's more about me wanting to be a proper Battlefield Mage who wears armour and casts evocation spells. I love the concept of that.

I don't want other classes flavor much so I wish there was something I could give up easy to be an Elf Wizard with medium armour but I guess a level of Arcana Cleric could do it.
>>
>>52748446
In CoS?
Everything can be Blasted
Blast the Gypsies, Blast the Werethings, Blast the Trees
Flavor yourself to be a Vietnam-Vet-esque retired Soldier that joined a clergy but still feels the need to utterly destroy SOMETHING, and channel energy directly into advancing zombies.
>>
>>52748173
Mystic grapplers are fucking amazing.

Huge size class
Advantage on athletics checks
passive temp hp per turn
extra 2d6 on hits

Multiclass into fighter and rogue and you're ready to grapple with god itself.
>>
Any advice for a lore bard? I'm the teams only caster and only ranged damage.

I'm going half-elf which will give me a 18 Cha 16 dex and 14 con
>>
>>52748468
Mystic can't be multiclass. You don't qualify for multiclass ability prerequisite (since there isn't one).

Doesn't work RAW or RAI.
>>
Why do Bladesingers get Extra Attack? Shouldn't it have been the Cast a Cantrip then attack as a bonus action ability?
>>
>>52748482
made up stats i see
cheater
>>
File: 2.jpg (45KB, 540x404px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
45KB, 540x404px
>>52748483
>>
>>52748482
What level? 1-4 should be fine with bow. At 6 you could cheese a bit and get spiritual weapon or animate dead.
>>
File: Untitled-23.png (7KB, 303x105px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-23.png
7KB, 303x105px
>>52748487
!

We did 4d6 drop lowest
>>
>>52748484
Valor Bard get both. You point?
>>
>>52748501
made up
you're a fucking liar
>>
>>52748510
Well it seems quite clear the Weapon Cantrips were intended to be used by them, and then they get an ability that's worse then those.
>>
>>52748520
They get options. Extra attack is fun for shove too.
>>
The bladesinger is terrible. It makes no sense and doesn't match anything about the bladesinger's past lore. It's ability is silly and I don't allow it at my table SO DEAL WITH IT FUCKCAKES
>>
>>52748555
>I don't allow an elven only splat book option that isn't even very good at my table

Alright.
>>
>>52748573
dude there's a bee in my room
>>
File: 1459882344953.png (63KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1459882344953.png
63KB, 255x255px
>>52748501
>rolling stats
>>
File: 819a281854-1486725721017.gif (4MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
819a281854-1486725721017.gif
4MB, 426x426px
>>52748596
>not rolling stats
>>
>>52748601
I play in AL and they don't allow it, so I can't. I mean, I wouldn't anyway, point buy is perfect. Most people just makeup stats and post them here to look cool, and then say BUT I ROLLED THEM IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD THE DM AND THE POPE!! but we never believe them
>>
>>52748596
3d6 in order is the only way to play D&D
>>
>>52748484
It should have been, yeah, but it's an elf-only archetype so it had to be gay
>>
>>52748621
No it's not. Get over yourself.

>I want to play D&D!
>Oh man, I have such a cool concept!
>Roll stats
>Oh... but... I'm going to be retarded... Fun...

>Other idiots try to convince you that the 3d6/4d6 method is "Fun and it adds flavor"

>Trying to sell someone a smelly piece of shit.
>>
>>52748635
What if I changed it to anyone but elves and added the Cantrip Attack ability? Would it break it?
>>
File: 1491962433549.jpg (289KB, 1300x902px) Image search: [Google]
1491962433549.jpg
289KB, 1300x902px
>>52748639
The 5E general is a good place for you.
>>
>>52748650
If you mean replace Extra Attack with it, that'd be fine. If anything it'd still be a little underpowered.
>>
How would you run Spelljammer in 5e?
>>
File: 1492185013680.jpg (125KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
1492185013680.jpg
125KB, 637x476px
There is nothing wrong with 4d6 drop the lowest if you place the results anywhere you want
>>
File: 1387387411065.png (227KB, 587x571px) Image search: [Google]
1387387411065.png
227KB, 587x571px
>>52748639
>>
>>52748686
It create party disparity = not fun
It is unbalance for the DM = not fun

Only munchkin who only care about themselves and want a character with god stats want to do that. You can be sure that they will whine at their DM for a reroll if they did a bad roll.
>>
>>52748712
What if I find it fun trying to roleplay being sort of bad at a particular something and others agree that it can be fun to have both a flaw and something you excel at.
>>
>>52747536
I play a Jedi in a star wars rpg and god forbid I don't follow the Jedi Code to the fucking letter at all times... Playing lawful characters is fine, but you are never allowed a moment off.
>>
>>52748686
It's retarded. Point buy is completely fair and allows everyone to play the characters they want, whereas rolling stats makes some characters arbitrarily better than others and makes the game less fun for players who get shitty stats.
>>
>>52748737
That's why you use point-buy or standard array.

Roll stats will result in characters who has no flaw or character who has flaws at everything. All in the same party.
>>
>>52748468
What about the +5 to strength checks?
It's fun.
>>
>>52745777
All metamagics are gained at lvl two.

Other features now replace those at levels where you'd usually grab metamagic.

At lvl 6 learn any LvL 1 spell (from any list) as Sorcerrer spell.
You can cast it at its lowest level without expending spell slots.
>>
I'm planning on doing a campaign where I intend to make the villains interact more with the players, kinda like an opposing organization. Stealing their missions, defeating them early to ensure a grudge, so on and so forth. Problem is, I'm afraid this will cause my group to be very frustrated, especially since they were supremely salty when they decided to fight Venomfang and got severely raped, even calling me unfair on the breath attack.
What do you think?
>>
File: nani 10.jpg (113KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
nani 10.jpg
113KB, 500x500px
Starting a new game next week, the party really needs a front-liner and I was considering barbarian - is the class actually good or should just play a fighter or something? I know berserker sucks but totem barbarian seems pretty decent.
>inb4 martials are garbage
>>
File: 1456375130157.jpg (8KB, 228x227px) Image search: [Google]
1456375130157.jpg
8KB, 228x227px
>>52748686
>>52748712
>>52748746
>i just joined a roll20 game where the DM is forcing us to do 4d6 drop the lowest

Should i bail?
>>
>>52748081
just draw a scale on the side of your character sheet and get an arrow.

WILD
(features)
- mp
- mP
Normal
- Mp
- MP
CASTER
(features)

Slide as required
>>
>>52748803
Barbarian's fine, just boring.

Fighter has a tonne of options. I'd rec going the grappler build which involves you getting one level in rogue for expertise athletics. Just don't get the grappler feat, it's complete bait. Go into Eldritch Knight for self cast Enlarge and you're set.
>>
>>52748805
Probably unless you roll good stats
>>
>>52748805
The only method of rolling that should be accepted is 3d6 anything below 8 is fixed to 8 and anything above 16 is fixed to 16, and the GM allows the player to reroll if they get a terrible stat line (average of 10ish)
>>
>>52748803
Barbarian are very solid. Good grapplers, good damage dealers, good tanks.

As the other anon said, theyre a little boring since outside of activating their anger button they dont actually do anything and that anger button is a passive, a good passive but passive nonetheless.

Fighter is far more fun this edition with the incredible flurry of attacks, extra stat improvements over other classes(or extra feats that are actually worth something now) and their action surge/second wind.

Paladins are also excellent for their great bursting and, barring oath of vengeance fucking amazing auras.

Monks are also very solid but while they start very strong they devolve into stunbots as the game progresses and the 4elements is decidedly underpowered.

You could also go moon druid and be an absolutely disgusting ball of health that 100% refuses to die.
>>
>>52748829
Too many edge case rules when its easier to just roll 2d6+6. Or, if you're anal about 8-16, then 1d8+8.
>>
File: GaryRL.png (658KB, 927x1548px) Image search: [Google]
GaryRL.png
658KB, 927x1548px
>>52748799
Sound like you want to copy this guy. You don't actually have to steal mission from them... Just have him show up and tell the party of how awesome he is and how much better than the group he think.
>>
>>52747717
>not casting guiding bolt to do some sick damage for a 1st level spell slot and give the fighter advantage
dirty dumb healslut scum
>>
>>52748872
I'm sorry daddy. What about a game of Settlers of Catan?
>>
File: healslut.png (733KB, 1037x587px) Image search: [Google]
healslut.png
733KB, 1037x587px
>>52748872
Healslut is my favorite meme
>>
>>52748852
Yeah, I'd probably go paladin except I just played one in my last game, and the rest of the party are casters (Moon druid, Land druid, cleric, warlock).
>>
>>52748902
Play a Wizard and spam the best Wizard only spells while acting like this asshole >>52748865.

Alternatively a Zealot Barbarian with those around could be pretty cool and even when you die you can come right back.
>>
File: 1467264406349.gif (607KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1467264406349.gif
607KB, 300x169px
>>52748902
>
>>52748914

Bonus points, use polymorph to force another caster to play martial
>>
Is Kobold Press' Southland Heroes still needed for the Mega Trove?

If so, it can be downloaded and added to it here:
http://d20.sabotender.com/5th/Supliments/Southlands_Heroes_for_5th_Edition_(7535273).pdf
>>
>>52748897
>>>/pfg/
>>
File: atlan 2.jpg (2MB, 3840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
atlan 2.jpg
2MB, 3840x2400px
Anybody got experience describing the effects of eldritch void-dwelling horrors to their players?

So far I've got:
>The world around you starts to melt and take on bright, impossible colours like a Dali painting as shapes stretch and twist around one another. Everything seems closer and further at the same time, and a sense of horrible vertigo overcomes you as directions lose meaning.

Thinking of throwing some BLACK STARS in there too for that space/void feel. Any experiences here lads?
>>
>>52748973
Our wizard actually started doing this to our bard because he has shit AC and was getting dropped almost every combat
>>
>>52749001
This is great, more needed.
>>
File: IMAG0536.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0536.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
Who /bestdm/ here?
>>
>>52749068
Well drawing from Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy,I was gonna describe the Paladin they'll fight as distorting space around him like in that description.

More, though:

>The wall turns to ash and falls away like a dream, and beyond it you see a figure in golden armour, its silhouette shifting constantly. Green lightning lashes out from behind it, and there is a sense of being drawn into it.
>Then the Herald is in the room, and he draws his sword.
>Everybody roll a Wis save to avoid madness.
>Now roll initiative.

Anything else I could add in would be great. General eldritch effects on mortals?
>>
>>52749080
I like that you have one set of red and one set of blue dice.

Also Pringles are best.
>>
Does anyone have a pdf of the Total Party Kill handbook? That thing looks really handy but I'm not going to spend $45 on it.
>>
>>52748897
Reverse image search is turning up nothing so Imma need a sauce there fampai
>>
>>52749154
Thanks anon, I like my dice too. The alternate colours come in handy.
>>
>>52749199
Its /ss/(straight shit) so youre not missing out
>>
>>52749212
I'm a grown man I can make my own decisions damn it.
>>
>>52749199
>>52749225
Mizuryu Kei
Can't be arsed to look up which of his works.
>>
>>52749080
>energy drink
grow up and throw that shit away
>>
>>52747797
>Chaotic Wildness
That's fey tho.
>>
>>52749080
I'd drop the chips, but bonus points for the nice handwriting.
10/10
>>
>>52748712
>take an Undead / Incorporeal from Savage Species
>blow my load all over your face with pointbuy
>>
>>52748809
Of course.
I more say the effort comes from how whoever wants to update that class to 5e would have to come up with a lot of class features and design bloodlines from scratch.
Not impossible, but time consuming and requires careful thought if you want it balanced at all.
>>
>>52749238
'no'

>>52749249
Ty Ty
>>
>>52749266
Cool story brah. I will use a cool rqce I found in dandwiki too.
>>
>>52749326
Savage species, while banned as fuck, aren't technically donut steels.
>>
>>52749249
>printing press type
>"""handwriting"""
>>
>>52749377
Are you drunk?
>>
>>52749390
>being this ignorant
>>
>>52749420
>>52749377
Are you literally on acid
>>
>>52748686
There is nothing wrong with 4d6 drop the lowest if you take the results in order, as this creates an actually random character which is the point of rolling stats - random chance.
>>
>>52749470
He's literally using the printing press type you 'tard, that's type specifically designed so that each letter is separated and can be moved around easily. Handwriting using that type is completely retarded and shows the decline of the educational system.

Monkey see printed letters monkey do printed letters.
>>
>>52749528
That form of writing is also known as monospaced or "neat" handwriting, although the original posts' handwriting was mediocre at best. The picture you posted, however, looks like fucking garbage.
>>
>>52749470
Stop replying, he is.
>>52749563
It was legible and neat, but now you went and insulted my handwriting.Which I actually dislike.
>>
>>52749563
>The picture you posted, however, looks like fucking garbage.

Woo watch out we got an expert over here
>>
>>52749528
>cursive hurr durr
Schooltaught cursive in English like the shit you just posted isn't natural or flowing, it's artificial and looks like tryhard shit. You want to see actual flowing cursive look at some of the less esoteric Arabic, Chinese, or Persian calligraphies that people can and do use in real life.
When you use an alphabet then it serves you well to keep letters more or less seperate, and although allowances can be made, forcibly linking together "consciousness", "metaphysical", or "empyrean" just looks like shit.
>>
>>52749583
>he says after he was the first one to go full Professional Critic on some random anon's handwriting
No m8
>>
>>52747717
Your DM should generously allow the preparation of two actions that might happen. 'If the fighter is hurt, heal them. If an enemy approaches me within 10ft, I move 30ft away.'
But not 'If the fighter is hurt, heal them. If an enemy is still alive right before the start of my next turn, attack them.'

Of course, you only have one reaction to use.
Why would you delay your turn until AFTER the fighter, anyway? That sounds like stupid shit when you're better off going right before him and healing him from being downed. No reason to heal him otherwise unless your DM's a massive dick who attacks downed players constantly, and if the DM wants to attack downed players they should be using vitality/fightingspirit rules.
>>
Why the fuck are you autists sperging out about handwriting? Why the actual fuck.
>>
>>52749613
>>52749377
>>52749528
>>
>>52749613
I just liked an anon's handwriting.
I should have known liking things triggers people over here.
>>
What's the best place, or a place you would recommend to look at or purchase animal figurines? I'm currently trying to find a decent animal model that I can work with and base for an animal companion.
>>
>>52749080
Where's the room to reach around to not roll behind your cover?
Why do you have that teenager shit instead of a proper drink such as tea?
>>
File: 1472783906462.jpg (106KB, 600x680px) Image search: [Google]
1472783906462.jpg
106KB, 600x680px
>>52749638
>mfw I never drank energy drinks, soda, or cawfee as a kid because I was a massive contrarian and would refuse to eat whoppers literally just because other people were
>mfw I now realize they've ruined their bodies with chips and crackers and oreos and candy while I'm cooking meals for myself
>>
>>52749585
>literally 2000+ thousand years of entire civilisations writing latin and germanic languages in cursive
>"n-nuh it's f-forced!"

Tell that to Shakespeare you ignorant cunt

>>52749591
All I said was that using a font type literally invented and designed for printing presses was not good handwriting. It's pretty much the opposite of good handwriting.
>>
File: 1463315976022.jpg (34KB, 550x284px) Image search: [Google]
1463315976022.jpg
34KB, 550x284px
>>52749665
>2000+ years
Germanic as a written language hasn't existed for 2000 years. The Greeks used ligatures instead of true cursive, while Roman Cursive is literally disconnected and amounts to "sloppy" writing.
Stop spouting bullshit you don't actually understand.
>>
>>52749660
I just really like water, but it's impossible not to be a reasonable human being and never have tea so I sometimes have tea too, especially if I have to wake up for something.

If you don't drink coffee every day just a bit of tea is more than enough, but I guess some people have to wake up early every single day.
>>
I've seen the advice for DMing Lost Mine to set up the doppelgangers early on to make the players more suspicious. Has anyone done this, and where did you have them pop up? Is it mostly just have players roll perception to see if some seemingly random person is watching them a bit too closely?
>>
>start new game campaign with some discord m8s
>the DM is running a game for the first time ever
>he is doing one of the pre mode campaign from wizards
>gives 0 direction
>doesnt have anything set up
>didnt figure out how to work roll20 in advance
>spend first 3 hours doing literally nothing
>no one is RPing, everyone just talking out of character
>come accross a few goblins
>roll initiative
>natty 1
>get my turn skipped
>combat end before i can take my turn but it takes an hour, total of 6 turns pass

should i just drop this group or give it another chance?
>>
>>52749705
You could simply just not be a massive wimp and get up at 6:30 or whenever
I'm sick and tired of people getting up at like 8:30 and saying LOL I WAKE UP SOOOO EARLY I NEED ZE CAWFEE.
Tea is good though.
>>
>>52748737
Rolling for stats creates less flaws than standard array/point buy.
Nobody sane buys 12/12/12/11/11/11 and standard array always has an 8 and a 15 but rolling for stats can end up with 12/12/12/11/11/11. If you want to play a 5 dex character, you can just ask your DM to let you point buy lower for a slight benefit such as a +1 elsewhere.

If you want flaws that you didn't choose, you roll in order.
>>
>>52749713
>nat 1
>turn skip
leave
>>
>>52749727
Doesn't it always work that way?
>>
>>52749713
>Lol you critically failed your initiative, you get no turn
I'm all for critical failures when used sensibly but holy shit that is stupid.

>>52749724
I'd wake up that early if I had a reason, but otherwise, nah.
>>
>>52749705
I like water too.
Having a cream or a tea cup is nice too.
Sips are great to thread dialogue for NPC when they surprise me.
>>
>>52749732
Does what?
You could probably always voluntarily reduce your stats, though there's nothing saying you can, but whether or not you get rewarded for it is another matter. If there's no incentive such as 'you're stuck with it' or 'you get a slight bonus for it' then it feels more like you're just trying to screw the party over.
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 6, 2, 5, 4, 4, 2, 6, 1, 3, 6, 2, 6, 4, 3, 2, 3 = 68 (18d6)

>>52749765
I mean doesn't it always work on a "nah m8 you're rolling in order" basis?
>>
>>52742527
Not quite answering the question being asked.

Empower spell is used when you roll damage, and Scorching Ray hits and damages sequentially so it would only be used on each damage roll as it came up. Empower Spell is not very effective on Scorching Ray.

>>52744432
It really depends on the circumstances, and as a Druid he's mostly going to benefit from enemies having disadvantage to hit him while he's in a fog cloud, if they're within blindsight range. Wild Shapes use their own senses.
>>52744710
30 ft should be reasonable.

Compare and Contrast with the feat "Alert"

>>52745050
This. I had a DM that wanted to do a FR adventure. Starts off in an ex-pirate's 'haunted' inn that has a portal to an archipelago in one of the closets. Long story short, The Odyssey.

>>52745123
>but it has good bits.
Hey folks. Name some good bits of the FR setting.

>>52745788
I was sure this was going to turn into the Dread Pirate Roberts. It would have been better if it had.
>>
>>52748855
Rolling a 1d8+8 for stats is lame. Nobody will enjoy that. Just use point buy.
Rolling 2d6+6 is not a good option, either. In both of these cases, the possible number of outcomes are so low that it's very likely that you will end up with a broken character.

The method I suggested may be kinda clumsy (the gm has to determine if the statline is too low), but it's a form of stat rolling that could actually work out.
>>
>>52749768
Not normally. Much like rolling for stats should be, that sort of method is more popular for older editions where rolled stats didn't completely break the game but defined the character more than 'You get double damage over the other fighter and 40% extra health and that's really about it because you're stronger and tougher'
>>
>>52749776
How about rolling 4d6 and dropping nothing?
>>
>>52749638
Tea is for hipsters
>>
>>52749687
Are you so retarded that you actually needed me to specify the exact number of years for each of the two family of languages cited or are you just desperately grasping for something to say?

I mean, Greek? Who the fuck is even talking about Greek here? How is that even remotely related to the modern printing press type vs traditional alphabet and cursive writing.

>Stop spouting bullshit you don't actually understand.
Yeah right, you might want to apply that advice to yourself first before rambling like you do.
>>
>>52749829
>Tea is for hipsters
>Fucking everybody is a hipster
>It's tradition to be a hipster
>The queen is a hipster
>Americans couldn't be hipsters at affordable hipster prices so they had an anti-hipster revolution and become not-hipsters
>>
>>52749839
>Go to asian restaurant
>They insist that you become a green peace hipster with green tea
>>
>>52749834
>literally 2000+ years
Runes were not written in cursive you dumbass, and Latin Cursive literally looks nothing like the cursive you speak of, it's the more informal, sloppier version.
Literally motherfuckin end yourself, if you're using the antiquity argument it's a goddamn wonder we're even writing at all, let's go back to hooting at each other in Nostric or whatever!

>>52749858
Stop being American
>>
>>52749826
The average character will have far too high stats.
>>
>>52749858
That's like complaining that burger stops never have hot drinks in the dispenser. Asian meals come with tea and or soup, that's just how they eat. If you actually go to China or Japan resturants may not even have ice water, only boiled water.
>>
>>52749885
>>52749874
I'm not sure it's clear, but the second post >>52749858 was merely an extension on >>52749839
>>
Rolled 3, 4, 3, 6, 4, 5, 2, 3, 5, 1, 3, 3 + 6 = 48 (12d6 + 6)

>>52749776
between 3d6 concat and 1d8+8, the possible number of outcomes is literally the same, except weighted for more 8 and 16s.
2d6+6 has more outcomes by 2 on the high end.

3d6 concat just isn't different enough for the added fiat.
>>
>>52749826
Gives you an average of 14-15.
>>
>>52749918
das good tho
>>
Honestly only autistic people bitch about what people drink, worse then fucking Tumblr.

Tea's nice, coffee's nice, energy drinks have a time and place and everything. This all started with some autist not being able to comprehend that some people don't like waking up at 6:30 AM and drinking "The healthy choice".
>>
>>52749917
That's between 9 and 16. Really, it'd be best to follow point buy restrictions and do 1d8+7 so you end up between 8 and 15. Of course, original poster said '16', but screw that.
>>
>>52749931
No it didn't, I don't like people who wake up at 8:30 and scream about needing their coffee.
>>
>>52749730
>>52749738
the only thing i did all game long was heal our retarded warlock once who for some reason is trying to stab shit with a spear instead of using a crossbow or something so he doesnt get fucking merced
>>
>>52749946
Only middle aged woman and stupid girls do that. They make shit company anyway so who cares, they'll always find a reason to bitch.
>>
>>52749953
>Bladelock failure
>DM has no fucking clue what they're doing
Yeah, no, leave Consider politely suggesting you might come back later down the line so you can observe if the DM gets a clue within about 2 years so you can come back in two years time minus all the suffering.
>>
>>52749918
Standard Array averages to 12

>>52749937
Yeah, that would actually be preferable. Averages to 11.5, so you're right at Standard Array.
>>
>>52749966
Yeah no you wish
>>
>>52749738
Don't you have a job?
>>
>>52749987
>Having a job
>Not crippiling Mental and Physical illnesses

It's like you don't want to kill yourself. ;__;
>>
What the fuck is happening with these threads?
>>
>>52749987
University student but no job because I'm a lazy, overentitled faggot with money. So, times I have to get up at vary by weekday.
>>
>>52750005
The Americans are waking up.
>>
>>52750005
Americans wake up, so us good countries going to sleep.
>>
>>52749999
>>52750007
Having a job imposes a good routine and makes you sociable. And gives you good reason to be entitled with your money.
>>
>>52750030
I unfortunately physically can't work anymore. I used to do night-fill in a supermarket but my bones are too fucked to even stand up for too long without having issues.
>>
>>52750030
So does being at this convention where I have to get up early enough or you don't get free breakfast. Except it takes money, doesn't get you money.

But, yes, I'm not saying it would be a bad idea to get a job. But no, I'm lazy and have money but fuck the drinks here cost way too much it's like Norway.
>>
File: Raging tadpole.jpg (22KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Raging tadpole.jpg
22KB, 320x320px
>>52750005
We make amiable conversation while waiting for the UA.
>>52750046
Ow. Sorry, that sounds awful.
What's the issue?
>mfw I avoided all genetic issues from both family sides but the imbecile of a medic that was overseeing my mother's pregnancy said 'welp, he is growing too much, better force an early delivery!'
>>
All right lads, how the fuck does Channel Divinity work for Paladins, can you jsut shit out those abilities as much as you want all the fucking time?
>>
>>52750030
>good reason
If you have money then you have reason to be entitled. It doesn't really matter how you got it as long as you have it. Having daddy give you it doesn't count not because you don't 'deserve' it but because daddy's money is still daddy's to dispense at his leisure.
>>
>>52750083
My whole thing was actually caused by malnutrition from starving and a blood condition. Now basically shits fucked and all my muscles and joints don't work well, overtime my bones have also done something fucky.

At least I get to sit on /tg/ for 14 hours a day, talk to my bf sometimes and sleep sitting in a chair without being disturbed.
>>
>>52750118
"When you use your Channel Divinity, you choose which option to use. You must then finish a short or long rest to use your Channel Divinity again"
>>
>>52750155
aight, thanks brother, didn't notice that sentence in the book
>>
I remember someone in /tg/ talk about using spell to make holy wine in CoS, is it actually possible or is that a DM fiat?
>>
>>52750194
There's a new Ceremony spell that can do it, but I would be vary from allowing it. Holy water is a powerful weapon in the campaign where 50% of your enemies are undead.
>>
>>52748199
Get your wizard to cast clone and wait.
>>
File: Bard_Clint-Cearley_PHB5e.jpg (117KB, 824x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Bard_Clint-Cearley_PHB5e.jpg
117KB, 824x1100px
Please! Help me /tg/

I have a vague idea for a campaign, but i don't really know how to make it work.

Some well known bard has sent the PCs (old heroes from a war that ended several years before) a letter. In that letter he invites them to his house, because he wants to write songs and stuff about them. What the PCs don't know is that the bard is evil and he wants to make them do stuff for him. Like, obligate them.

Any ideas please? Thank you very mucho
>>
>>52750318
Blackmail

What if his goal through asking their stories is actually to ascertain HOW he'll manipulate them?
Flatter them to get their secrets, find out what makes them tick?

Or maybe he plays it as wanting them to reenact or do something for him as part of the story, but he's setting up as fall guys for something major so he can get away with it?
>>
>>52750318
Have him sing all the songs from Pick of Destiny.

There you go. Have fun.
>>
>>52749776
Because insomnia, 3d6 concat has over 25% chance to get an 8, while an equal chance to get a 16 as a 15 (4.63). When you weight all the possible rolls and get their average, you're looking at 10.81, which is far below the Standard Array. In fact, you're averaging what you yourself would consider too low of a total. That means the fiat is inherent in the system, and that's no basis for a form of stat generation.
>>
>>52750340
>>
>>52750340
Thank you! What i really need is... Whas does the bard need from them? What does he want them to do? And how does he go from inviting them for dinner to making them do stuff? I thought about Elric (i lovethose books). There is a guy that poisons Elric and he obligate him to search a magic object if he wants the antidote. Something like that.
>>
>>52750401
Poison, then? Some violent poison in their food or drink that he reveals will kill them in 3 days if they dont do what he wants.

It has to be something that heroes alone can do. The bard wants... fame? Maybe he wants the rights to their tales, or wants to be included retroactively in their stories for fame.

Unearned fame and respect is worth blackmailing some heroes for, I'd say. Money is too simple.
>>
Unearthed Arcana: Calligraphy
>>
>>52745777
Metamagic is replaced with a sorcery die, which can be used once per turn. Metamagic can be used on any spell cast within 30 feet of you, regardless of caster.
>>
>>52747009
Just fucking hold your sword with one hand while you wave and whip your other hand around like an epileptic
>>
We don't get UA today do we? Wasn't it the end of the weekly ones and it's back to once per month?
>>
>>52748621
I roll 3d6 six times in order then adjust to point-buy. If there's a particular class I want to play I'll just swap two stats.
I enjoy having it as a base to build from instead of just cramming a 15 into my primary stat, a 14 into my secondary stat, and sprinkling the rest around.
>>
>>52750194
>>52750233
You could already make holy water before ceremony with powdered silver. It's not very powerful, dealing only 2d8 as an action to throw it without proficiency, but you can potentially use it for other means as per DM's discretion.

Holy wine just sounds like trying to fool someone into drinking holy water, which probably wouldn't work very well beyond burning their mouth a bit.
>>
>>52748621
False. There are plenty of good stat generating methods.

The Coin Flip Gamble
The 3 Roll Guaranteed Average
10d2dr2
4d6dr1
Standard Array
Point Buy
Multiple Choice Array

It all depends on what your goals are. I prefer rolling methods myself, because it gives the players some variance, instead of them all generating the same min/maxed array with pointbuy, or just being forced into the same array.

But I also wouldn't force rolling on the players. They enjoy it too, for the same reasons.
>>
>>52750657
>10d2dr2
You absolute madman
>>
>>52750318
Seems a bit odd.
Firstly, the players could just work it out and the entire campaign collapses OR you force them to do it and then you're just playing their characters for them.
Secondly, what if they don't care about having songs written about them? I guess they'd probably like it, but they might not all fall into that.
Thirdly, it sounds like it might be a bit of a 'ha, you were working for evil the whole time even though you did well you still lose because you didn't work it out'. You'd have to be careful to make it so that the players along the way, say, perhaps out of the goodness of their hearts or through other means (So they have a chance other than finding out bardy is evil) to not do the wrong thing the bard is making them do. I.e. they're tasked to kill a family, but then they question the family after locking them up instead of killing them, and then feel sorry for them and getting the family to run and hide, then coming back and saying that they beat the family.

And, really, it doesn't sound like there's anything too unique about the campaign set-up. All you have right now is 'A caster wants the party to do stuff', though I guess them all being from an already done war is a nice point.

Honestly the most relevant motive I can think of for the bard is to undo the result of that war, or maybe incite war again, or something to that nature. As mercenaries or whatever, the players might even want war.
>>
>>52750719
What's that? New guy here.
>>
>>52750657
>Them all generating the same min/maxed array with point buy
The only difference between this min/maxed array and rolled stats is that while the highest stat will still be in the same place, and the 2nd highest stat, and the third highest stat and so forth, the values are slightly different which means people roll slightly different numbers which means they're either just plain more/less effective and it doesn't really add anything to the characters?

I honestly don't understand what stat rollers are thinking of when stats really don't affect anything other than straight combat effectiveness in the form of AC, damage, hit chance, health, save chance. Nothing actually interesting other than potentially saying 'yes, you can play a monk and you'll be more powerful than you're intended to be' or 'No, you should play a moon druid'.
>>
>>52750788
Flip a coin 10 times, with heads being 1 and tails being 2. Drop two of the results. Repeat five more times for the other ability scores.
>>
File: 1368254338163.gif (65KB, 391x550px) Image search: [Google]
1368254338163.gif
65KB, 391x550px
Would you rather have Fighters with Sneak Attack or Rogues with Battlemaster maneuvers?

>>52750788
>10d2dr2
10 coinflips drop the two lowest
>>
How devastating is a Frost giant raid? Assume for a moment that we are dealing with a average kingdom with technology no better then a catapult/ballista and some average magic users. How bad would a raid of 50-60 Frost Giants and their animals (Winter wolves, Remorhazes) be to such a kingdom lorewise?
>>
>>52750825
>Fighters with Sneak Attack
It's my fetish, even getting +1d6 on each hit with Advantage would be cool.
>>
>>52750825
>Fighters with sneak attack
So, fighter/rogue multiclass?
>rogues with battlemaster manoeuvres?
So, fighter/rogue multiclass?

In any case, the rogues will just take riposte to sneak attack outside their own turn, whereas the fighters will just do plain extra damage with nothing interesting.

Battlemaster manoeuvres would be better, but they'd be different to the battlemaster's.
>>
>>52750821
>>52750825
Aight, thanks.
>>
>>52750830
Depends if they're used to these attacks.
If they've never defended against these before and don't have notably great mage academies, they're utterly, completely fucked.

If they have some decent mages for divination and the like, experience and thus good ballista set-ups, they could potentially manage it, but it'd be very tough and if the giants know what they're doing they can literally just siege the kingdom and win pretty much automatically.

Unless the giants are assumed to have to eat as much as a human turned giant-sized as well as their pets, in which case the giants automatically lose because fantasy doesn't make economical sense.
>>
>>52750825
I'd rather have all pure martials have better maneuvers.
>>
>>52750792
You can roll for stats down the line anon. Even if you allow sorting the rolls for optimization, it still changes the way people play.

For instance, not every persuasion check is going to be instigated by the party face. Sometimes, the guy for whom charisma was a 4th priority will be the one who has to make the check, due to roleplaying. And rolling for stats affects those situations.

Finally, it doesn't have to be rational that people have fun doing it. They only have to have fun doing it for it to be justified.

Of course, I can see how you would disagree if you're used to playing highly standardized campaigns, where everything happens according to the formula laid out in your narrow conceptions of how to "rollplay". But that's a shitty way to play for most people.
>>
>>52750825
I'd like to see all martials have repeatable, at will, cantrip like features, distinctive for their class. We could call these maneuvers.
>>
>>52750946
I can understand people like the idea of repeatable maneuvers on Martials, there's no wrong way to have fun.

At that point though isn't it what 4e did and was shunned for? Have you tried 4e and was there something you disliked about it or do the people you play with not like it?
>>
>>52751006
I've played 4e, and it was great. I like 5e a little bit more, but not if I'm playing a martial.

The main problems with 4e IMO weren't that martials got cantrip equivalents, but rather that the book didn't make clear that all those nifty combat abilities could be used outside of combat as well. People got the wrong idea that they were stuck playing a tactical game. Oh, and the shitty monster math at first, and the terrible marketing.
>>
>>52751120
New thread
>>
Is it going to bite me hard if I take a weapon mastery feat for flavor, even though I'm not planning to use weapon after level 5?

In case you're wondering... I'm going for Light Cleric...

but I kinda want a whip (pretending to be Belmont) or a longsword (if DM throw sunblade my way) proficiency.
>>
>>52751059
See I personally dislike abilities like that because I've never seen a system do it better then "It's like magic but not that". 4e was actually a fun game but I only played a few sessions before realising it wasn't my cup of tea.

I think the per-rest abilities are the sweet spot because Martials give up things like 1d8 damage and reduces speed by 15ft, for 2d6+10+5 damage.

I think the main issue in this edition is actually fixed by increasing Magical Loot. Even randomising things, because no one's going to argue that the Fighter doesn't deserve the Cloak of Protection.

Also weakening some higher level spells so it's not "If I use this right there's nothing you can do". Let a high level fighter break through Forcecages and stuff.
>>
>>52751141
there is a martial weapons training feat for that
>>
>>52750925
You can roll in order, and honestly that's the only acceptable way to have 'varied stats'. I can accept that.

And, I suppose, it might change the way they use it, but given that they're not going to use charisma too often since someone else will normally be doing it and the fact it's maybe a +2 or +1, that's barely a significant change in chance of success. I mean, charisma more than anything you can already talk your way through most situations without rolling charisma much since you don't really need to roll persuasion when you're just telling someone something completely believable and logical that you can explain fine. And even if you say 'act your stat', if it's an 8 in a stat instead of a 12, that's honestly not a massive difference to change how the player plays, and at least in point buy you could actually sacrifice a bit of another stat if you wanted your character to be less autistic. In the end, a guy with 8 charisma isn't much less likely to succeed than a guy with 12, but much less likely than someone with 20.

>But if they're having fun
Well, yes. Usually people seem to have fun anyway, but there are cases where I feel guilty because my character is similar-ish in role to another person's but with higher stats and basically trumps them, or someone rolls poor stats and goes monk and sucks hard because monk doesn't work then.

Point buy is the best for enabling people to make the character they want, which isn't necessarily rollplay.
>>
>>52747030
Any DM who doesn't want to nerf thief? Who wants to make magic and switching between ranged/melee actually require thought?
>>
>>52750194
>>52750233
Clerics and Paladins could always make holy water, people just never read that section of the PHB. Pages 151-152:
>Holy Water. [...] A cleric or paladin may create holy water by performing a special ritual. The ritual takes 1 hour to perform, uses 25 gp worth of powdered silver, and requires the caster to expend a 1st-level spell slot.
>>
How do I do a dwarf rogue /5eg/?
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.