[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition D&D General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 373
Thread images: 35

File: orcus_men.jpg (55KB, 1008x626px) Image search: [Google]
orcus_men.jpg
55KB, 1008x626px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/... >>52729327
>>
File: 6265165.jpg (72KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
6265165.jpg
72KB, 500x674px
Okay guys, let's go over downtime activities, and see what things should be added.

>Building a Stronghold
>Buying a Magic Item
>Carousing (DMG version/UA version)
>Crafting an Item
>Crafting a Magic Item
>Crime
>Gambling
>Performing Sacred Rites
>Pit Fighting
>Relaxation
>Religious Service
>Research
>Running a Business
>Scribing a Spell Scroll
>Selling a Magic Item
>Sowing Rumors
>Training
>Training to Gain Levels
>Work

What should be added?
>>
>>52734741
Anyone got ideas on brewing 4 separate elemental monk archetypes?

So far the idea is

At lvl 3 gain a 10ft range elemental-themed attack that deals MA damage and can use reaction for AOO when someone moves through that space without disengaging.

At lvl 6 gain 3 spells and two cantrips themed after the element.

At lvl 11 Gain a flavourfull ability like Water monks turning into water to move about.

At lvl 17 A capstone ability that's not quite save or suck but somewhere inbetween the Long death and Open hand capstone.
>>
So how do we fix two weapon fighting, guys?
>>
>>52734818
Well, remember that there's also shadow and sun style capstones of new reactions to use in melee.
>>
>>52734846
Make it so it doesn't require a bonus action when you hit 5th level. It is instead a free action, once a turn whenever you attack.
>>
>>52734846
Include the extra attack in the attack action.
>>
>>52734846
Dual wielder feat also gives ability modifier bonus to off-hand damage and alternate dual weapon fighting style gives +1d6 damage when you hit with a weapon attack while dual wielding. Clean up the language a bit and boom: useful TWF with minimal rule changes.
>>
>>52734901
Final goal would be a level 20 fighter that dual wields battleaxes or whatever does 1d8+1d6+5 four attacks as an action and 1d8+5 as a bonus action or reaction. Only attacks that qualify to trigger the TWF bonus action would receive the damage bonus.
>>
>>52734846
Just change Dual Wielder to add
"When you make a two weapon attack you can make an extra attack with your offhand weapon as part of your attack action"

There, now it's a bit balanced against PAM/GWM and you don't have to change a bunch pf shit
>>
How do you spread your word using bards /5eg/?
>>
I thought two-weapon fighting was pretty balanced for characters that rely a lot on procing damage from attacks, like sneak attacks or hunter's mark... isn't it?

If that's the case... There's not much to fix. Maybe add a good maneuver for them for the odd fighter, and call it a day.
>>
>>52734790
Investigating
>>
>>52734987
Let me see if I can do a wording I like.

Dual Weapon - Fighting Style for fighters and rangers.
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon held in one hand you deal an additional 1d6 damage if you are holding another melee weapon of the same type in your other hand. This additional damage is of the same type as the attack already deals.
>>
hey tg what's a good city campaign that i could throw at my players? i kinda need the inspiration since i've never done it before.
>>
>>52734741
How does multiclassing in two spellcasters work? I play as human (male) of noble background Level 6 eldritch knight/paladin oath devotion.
>>
>>52735215
Something focused on a crime syndicate, political intrigue, some dark evil buried under the city. Maybe even Assassins Creed could give you some inspiration.
>>
>>52734993
After reviewing the other feats I'd change this to
"Whenever you use a bonus action to attack with your offhand weapon you may make an additional attack with one of your weapons" that way it aligns with PAM and Crossbow Expert on using the bonus action for the extra attack
>>
>>52735289
You get both spell slots comparative to the level of each class, and can cast spells from your combined level if you have a spell slot of that level. Except Warlocks. Warlocks are separate.
>>
>>52735289
It works exactly the way the PHB tells you it works in the section for multiclassing.
>>
>>52735289
The multiclass section shows you the table.

As an Ek you gain your caster levels from lvl 3 onwards while Plladin gains them from lvl 2 onwards.

You'll be stuck with less spell slots for a while.
>>
How do you deal with a member of the party inserting a nine inch wooden dildo into the hoop of their sleeping companion? I allowed it and now the victim of the insertion has suffered some rectal damage. The guy with the dildo has spread rumours around town that this guy is Homosexual, something punishable by death, so he can't go looking for help.
>>
What are some magic weapon ideas that provide utility outside of combat?
>>
Possible early spoilers for Storm King's Thunder campaign

We are doing the Goldenfield siege here and we are just about to wrap up the fight with the Hill Giant. In the book it just says that the guards should basically take the players with them as they get up on the wall and sees all the monsters out there. In the book its a little unclear for me, is the players supposed to keep fighting with everything outside the wall? Because it seems a little much as they are running out of resources with no breaks. Or does it end there?
>>
>>52735752
Isn't it about two hill giants, while the goblin trebuchets batter the battlefield?
>>
>>52735769
Yeah they just beat these two hill giants but in the book and on the Roll20 map, there seems to be tons more stuff outside the walls. Hence i was confused if the fight keeps going or if its over
>>
>>52735789
The rest of the giant army take it as a defeat and flee.
>>
>>52735741
What's a hoop?
>>
>>52735815
Yeah that sounds reasonable enough, after all i think that about 6 hours in three sessions was what they needed for a while
>>
>>52734695
Not you, but instead the fake. Detect magic or identify would quickly tell you something's simulacrum.

Though is the simulacrum retains your ability to cast shit while you're possessing someone and can cast mystul's then maybe they can keep their ass in check, but they're likely to notice something's off when Strahd's dick is colder than normal.
>>
>>52735751
sundering could hurt objects
glowing items provide light
you could have some probide advantage on intimidation
>>
File: 1470092853463.png (8KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470092853463.png
8KB, 1024x1024px
>guy in my group who is playing the only cleric
>refuses to heal me or cast any buffs on me or share any gold or resources or do absolutely anything to help and play as a group because he's "just playing in character" and his character doesn't like mine
>>
>>52735741
just stop playing this game man, this is not what D&D is about, go find FATAL or whatever that fucking ERP game is son.
>>
>>52735957
Is there any legitimate reasons for it, such as your character being a huge asshole to his? Answer honestly, even if you don't think you did anything that bad.
>>
>>52735751
Spider dagger.
>Gives you a climbing speed of 25ft when climbing while holding it.
>Once every midnight it leaks a poison that deals 2d6 poison damage.
>Said poison can be harvested and stored in an alchemic vial but deals 1d4 poison damage instead.

Dwarven Quarterstaff
>Can shift it's shape as a bonus action into a pickaxe, hoe, spade or shovel.
>Once shifted it grants a dig speed of 15 ft when used.

Wood-Elven Shortsword
>Once per turn you may grant your self an extra 1d4 fire damage bonus on an attack that hits.
>This mate-gray short-sword does not set things on fire but emits a steady controllable heat. It's enchantment is especially popular with those mindfull of not starting forrest fires or staying hidden while camping.
>You gain proficiency with the cooking set and may use this shortsword as a cooking set. Food made using it grants you 1d4 temporary Hp untill your next rest.
>>
>>52735898
It's your arse hole

>>52735995
No. The guy who's getting shit jammed up him is a dick head. We're getting our laughs out of abusing him and his character until he snaps.
>>
>>52735957
lm playing a cleric right now and if anyone does anything incredibly retarded I won't support their nonsense by wasting some of my resources to cover their ass. Generally I say something like, "if you do X, (where X=pants on head retarded) I will not heal you". When they go ahead and do it anyway I hold up on my word.

I will not reinforce terrible behavior at my expense.

Have you asked yourself why his character doesn't like yours? Does his PC dislike whatever race you're playing? Do your actions violently cross against his Dogma? Are you autistic?
>>
>>52734790
Haveing all of those be actually well designed and provide actual advantages that dosent just give a middle finger that says "make it up" yourself.
>>
>>52735957
Are you the wooden dildo guy someone else is talking about in this thread? I wouldn't heal you either.
>>
>>52735751
>A strange light that only casts shadows when "lit", but the shadows reveal hidden things, such as dried fluids.

>a red candle that when lit flies straight in the direction it was pointed, leaving a trail of red smoke, before exploding into a bright red signal of some sort.

>A knife, which folds in on itself in strange ways, transforming into any tool that the wielder can think of.

A real suggestion: a bag of dust, that when blown on an object, can reduce the object's mass to 0, or increase it 10 fold, without changing anything else about the object. User chooses upon using the dust with an action.
>>
>>52735907
It's got Nystul.

Also Strahd'a dick is already cold so I'm thinking he might not notice.
More importantly, it might buy just enough time to scout Ravenloft ahead for the skull of Argynvost and teleport it to the crypt
>>
>>52736324
>It's got Nystul
Victor Vallakovich owes me from having saved his life from when my party almost
Ganked his ass on principle
>>
>>52736324
You can't make a simulacrum of Strahd, if I'm following you, because he's Undead.
>>
>>52736468
Simulacrum of myself inside Irena body through Magic Jar
>>
>>52736324
>Also Strahd'a dick is already cold so I'm thinking he might not notice.
You realise Strahd is a vampire, and thus will see through the ruse as soon as he bites you and notices he's not drinking blood but flesh-coloured slushy, right?
>>
>>52734818
@3 for lesser
@6 for normal
@11 for greater
@17 for ultimate

Earth Monk

Lesser Mountain Stance grants +2 Constitution, a +2 boost to AC, 3 physical resistance, at the cost of -2 Dexterity and - 5 feet movement speed. While in Lesser Mountain Stance, you gain 'Get Hit Effect: Gain 1 ki.'
Mountain Stance grants +2 Constitution, a +3 boost to AC, 8 physical resistance, at the cost of -2 Dexterity and -5 feet movement speed. While in Mountain Stance, you gain 'Get Hit Effect: Gain 1 ki.'
Greater Mountain Stance grants +3 Constitution, a +4 boost to AC, 12 physical resistance, at the cost of -2 Dexterity and -5 feet movement speed. While in Greater Mountain Stance, you gain 'Get Hit Effect: Gain 1 ki.'
Ultimate Mountain Stance grants +4 Constitution, a +6 boost to AC, 15 physical resistance, at the cost of -2 Dexterity and -5 feet movement speed. While in Ultimate Mountain Stance, you gain 'Get Hit Effect: Gain 1 ki.'
>>
File: vomit samus.jpg (133KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
vomit samus.jpg
133KB, 680x680px
>>52737209
>>
>>52737226
Elemental Monk's should be able to pick two elements, gain the stances at those levels and depending on the stance they are in they can perform different abilities.
Changing stance takes a bonus action on turn
>>
>>52737144
Which is where the Bard stats step in. Talk him into taking you somewhere special and shit and then invisible the fuck out
>>
>>52737286
For example
Fire stance would be at 3rd level +2 strength, - 2 wisdom, when you hit you gain 1 Ki point, and on critical 2ki points

Water at 3rd would be
+2 Wis, -2 strength, you gain a Dodge reaction once a round on Dex save, on success you gain a bonus action for your next turn and +1 to saving throws

Air stance @3
+2 Dex, -2 con, can roll on your turn a d10, 7 or higher you get an extra action on your turn. You get a +2 to attack and 10 feet extra movement speed
>>
>>52737497
>>52737209
you made it even worse that the original. the original wasn't very good but at least it gave you new things to do other than add floating values to your stats.
>>
what exactly is the problem with four elements

is it just ki starved?
>>
which classes and races did you ban from your DnD campaign?

Tiefling, Halfling, Half-Orcs, Variant Human

Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer
>>
>>52737765

(You)
>>
>>52737765
All kinds of women
>>
File: 1491928113613.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491928113613.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>52737765
>>
>>52737606
Yeah. Just make each discipline 1 or 2 ki points cheaper (1 they're still somewhat weak but can always use really weak disciplines, 2 makes them a very solid choice).
>>
>>52737765

Right now I only allow the big four races - drow + half elves
And I ban rangers because the game is full of gumbys and its a trap class
>>
>>52737765
V. Humans, Gnomes, Halflings, Half Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, Dragonborn, Tieflings.

Bards, Barbarians, Rogues, Druids, Wizards, Sorcerers, Battlemasters, Eldritch Knights, Clerics.
>>
>>52737840
Forgot rangers
>>
>>52737821
>>52737606
To clarify, right now you can barely cast any disciplines / short rest. Look to literally any other caster / half caster - they can do so much more than a way of the 4 elements monk.
>>
>>52737840
So I can be a Drow Mystic? Sounds good, I'll be rolling one up for you soon.
>>
>>52737897
Nope, you can't. By anon's list up there, Elves are banned, and Drow are elves.
>>
>>52737840
Sweet, time for a Yuan-Ti pureblood mystic.
>>
>>52737765
drow dragonborn tiefling and half orc are not allowed at my table
>>
>>52737966

autism
>>
>>52737981
exactly what is the problem with restricting those tumors from PCs?
>>
>>52737996
Why are they a problem is my question?
>>
>>52737917
>Drow are Elves
I bet you think blacks are human
>>
File: C14yp4yVQAE4pMk (1).jpg (57KB, 736x556px) Image search: [Google]
C14yp4yVQAE4pMk (1).jpg
57KB, 736x556px
How you explain the existence of races in your world? Are half-elfs gifted to families with humans and elfs by the gods? Are dragonborns a experiment made my wizards a long time ago to serve the rightful king? Are drows the elfs of an "upside down" world?
>>
>>52738057
drow and tieflings are edgy evil for retard players

dragonborn is for setting reasons

i just dont like half orcs
>>
File: 1255725059379.jpg (33KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1255725059379.jpg
33KB, 600x400px
>>52738057

>something something special snowflakes

drow is the only race shitty enough to be banned because it's literally an edge magnet

arguably variant human as well because only shitty munchkins play vhuman

there's literally nothing wrong with tieflings or dragonborn or half-whatever and anyone who says otherwise is just being contrarian to look cool on the internet
>>
>>52738107
Half-Elves are just their own race akin to Bretons from TES.
>>
>>52737592
Mate, these are stances you can add to the original and just make the player take two elements
>>
File: Tritonesse.jpg (298KB, 500x682px) Image search: [Google]
Tritonesse.jpg
298KB, 500x682px
>>52737765
Everything but Triton.
>>
>>52737765
V. Humans, tieflings, dragon born.
>>
>>52738201
The stance mechanics are fucking cancer. That you don't understand it is mind-boggling.
>>
File: drakkisath.jpg (34KB, 400x491px) Image search: [Google]
drakkisath.jpg
34KB, 400x491px
>>52738107
I pretty much made dragonborn in my world the exact same as the drakonids from Warcraft. they're the natural loyal servants of the dragons they're spawned from. They make much better minions and enemies than orcs or kobolds anyways.
>>
I have 3 ideas for a character that I think will be fun to roleplay as

A pessimistic and depressive firbolg
A human prince who was turned into a kobold
or a 8-foot tall amazonian woman

Not sure which to go with. This is my second time ever making a character
>>
>>52737765
Anything not from Volo's.
Its a monster evil campaign.
I might allow dragonborn if anyone asks after their characters die.
Except for the TN Kenku
>>
>>52738110
Tieflings and Dragonborn are also unoriginal edge magnets. I'f allow drow WAY before either of those because at least Drow opens up some interesting possibilities
>>
File: Dude, calm your ordnung.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Dude, calm your ordnung.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>52738257
Firblog.
>>
>>52738285
>something something special snowflakes something something
>>
>>52738220
This is my standard as well. Also no UAs besides Ranger but that's a given
>>
>>52736324
As said, 'colder than normal'. I think snow is colder than undead.

But in any case, I'm sure there's something about a simulacrum that makes it at least a little bit tricky without a bit of alter self and such to ensure you're completely, absolutely like the original for those interacting intimately.
>>
>>52738307
Not an argument
>>
>>52738257
None of those seem to be particularlyinteresting, to be honest. I mean, they could be interesting if you developed their character beyond a couple of words, I guess.

They're things I don't really see played, but I don't see them being too interesting without a bit more thought.
>>
>>52738257
>A human prince who was turned into a kobold
I like that one.
>>
>>52738351
Of course not anon, I wasn't arguing, just mocking you for your stupid opinions. Now I'm mocking you for the "not an argument" meme.
>>
>>52734818
My idea is:

At level 3, 6, 11 and 17, you choose one of four elements: Air, Water, Earth or Fire.
You gain that element's cantrip (With a slight buff). You can also choose not to choose another element in return for some sort of bonus, undetermined?
At level 3, 6, 11 and 17, you also gain 2 'techniques'. These techniques have prerequisite elements. Some require only one element, some require a combination of two, three or even four elements.

... That's pretty much it.
And I think that stunning fist could be replaced with 'On hit, spend 1 ki to create a minor effect (Blinding/proning etc on a save)', 'Spend 2 ki to create a major effect (stunning, for example)'. And, generally, a monk can do cool shit if they spend enough ki to do it. The idea is that this is very 'DM's discretion', but allows monks great flexibility beyond 'I just walk up and stunning fist the guy repeatedly'. It weakens their main role of stunning shit a bit, so they could get a slight buff in return.
>>
>>52738257

>normal but kind of boring
>actually interesting
>welcome to my magical realm

why.
>>
>>52738257
>second time every making a character
>whole bunch of random shit

Play stuff from the phb. If you've only ever made one character before, there are still tons of other enjoyable options to play without having to be some wacky special bullshit.
>>
File: Digitamamon.jpg (246KB, 772x800px) Image search: [Google]
Digitamamon.jpg
246KB, 772x800px
Two questions:

Does anyone use ixitxachitls in their games? I like aquatic campaigns and figure they'd see quite some use.

Are their rules for medium-sized characters riding medium-sized mounts? Pathfinder has the Undersized Mount and I wanna make a fighter archetype based upon that for 5e.
>>
File: Eerie Ideas.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Eerie Ideas.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>52738561
>their rules

Should be "there rules", screeeee! Whatever, have this creepy idea book.
>>
>>52738595
>Correcting something that's right to something that's wrong
???
>>
>>52738595
What the heck even is this, but it's pretty cool
Any other quick encounter ideas that are beyond the usual stuff?
>>
Do your parties typically share resources, keep everything separate, or have a group pool for certain things?

I've generally known my groups to split individually but when it comes to stuff like lodgings, equipment, and spell components they go dutch.
>>
File: Chan Orc.jpg (28KB, 395x247px) Image search: [Google]
Chan Orc.jpg
28KB, 395x247px
>>52738638
>Are their rules
>Are there rules

Ya fool!
>>
>>52738561
I think ixitxachitls get overlooked because they're in Out of the Abyss instead of the Monster Manual or Volo's. Plus, they don't have legs or arms so they can't fight on land like sahuagin or sea spawn.
>>
>>52738561
Getting to Darklake soon, so, Yes.
>>
>>52738326
There's the fact that its creator has to tell it what to do. That can get tricky in some interpretations.
>>
>>52738662
we all keep a bit of money, but all the big loot goes into the bag of holding until it can be cashed and split. Paying for stuff is generally you pay for yourself unless somebody is feeling generous
>>
>>52738316
Well there's no tieflings or dragonborn in my setting
Also no warforged, but they aren't core
>>
File: Xanatos Gambit.jpg (35KB, 350x367px) Image search: [Google]
Xanatos Gambit.jpg
35KB, 350x367px
whats the name of this trope where assassins are being sent to get rid of assassins after they're done assassinating ?
>>
>>52738953
Looking it up for a little bit, I could only find the TV Tropes term for it, "Contract on the Hitman".
>>
Can I cast a ritual while traveling?

I'm playing a 3rd level Aburation Tradition Wizard, so I'm wondering if after a combat and I tank a hit that depletes my ward can I just spend an hour as we travel casting Alarm as a ritual six times for 12 ward HP back? Is that gaming the system?
>>
>>52738953
Why can't I just take the dragon control from him and kill him? This is some shitty plot bullshit.
>>
>>52738662
I hold all the loot until we can sell it off.
>>
>>52739099
Abjuration doesn't work that way. Casting multiple abjuration spells doesn't add more hp to the ward unless the ward has been depleted; then it just refreshes the ward to its maximum value.

You can move while casting a spell with a casting time of more than an action, but if you ever move out of range of the target the spell fails.
>>
>>52739140
Because he didn't plan for that.
This is the part where you reveal you have your wizard with a duplicate mcguffin that will control the dragon after breaking the original and the BBEG goes
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
and all that jazz.
>>
>>52739140
Why can't I kill him, kill the dragon, kill his son, and kill his army.
>>
>>52738107
>Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Halflings, Gnomes
Don't exist. I have other homebrew races to fit their niches.
>Races in general
Have a creator deity who is married to a greater one, that made them but gave up the power to have clerics in return for making a race of their own
>Humans
Made by a god who got cheated out of the opportunity to have a race but then took all the garbage of creation that the other gods didn't want, set it on fire, and made the sun. That's where human souls come from
>Dragonborn
Like vanilla tieflings but with dragons instead of fiends
>Tieflings
What you get when someone makes a deal with a devil for their child's soul. The soul isn't actually forfeit by default, but the persecution they and their parents get is more useful for sowing misery and evil than a single soul would be.
>Aasimar
What you get when you're a really pious person and your child is blessed by your creator god for being so cool. Generally good people who enrich their communities.
>>
>>52738454
And yet you have lost on both accounts
>>
>>52739419
Tieflings woupd be killed on sight in most settings
>>
>>52738454
Leave it be, he won't get it.
>>
>>52739482
Doubt it.
The idea that they might be warlocks or actual devils is enough to make most look away and give a wide berth.
>>
>>52734993
>>52735320

>Dual Wielder
>Extra Attack
>Haste

>Normal Attack, Extra Attack, Haste Attack, Off-hand Attack, Off-hand Attack
>Smack in Hex for that glorious 1d6 nectrotic

Spectacular
>>
>>52738110
>>52737966

>drow is the only race shitty enough to be banned because it's literally an edge magnet
One of the best players at my table is a drow. One of the others is a tiefling.

The worst player is the DM
>>
>>52738953
>you kill me
>I win
bullshit
>>
>>52737765
Guraanteed (You)s
>>
>>52739585
Maybe they manage to pull an Emperor Mateus (FF2) shit and come back as ruler of the hells.
>>
For Armor of Agathys I have it currently at 3rd level so 15 temp hit points and 15 damage when they hit me. If I gain extra temp hit points while the armor is active do I still have the 15 points of damage if they hit me? Also if not does the ice armor temp hit points stack on the top or the bottom of the temp pool.
>>
>>52739723
If the post at least explained WHY anon banned them, it would be perfectly legitimate.
As it is, it's clearly bait.

>>52739734
I believe there's no such thing as temporary hit point stacking. Either you keep the old total or get a new total, which would probably get rid of the 15 damage.
>>
>>52739734
you choose which temporary hit points to use

you can only have 1 source of temporary hit points at a time

if you choose to take temporary hit points from your fiend warlock feature or false life over your armor of agathys your armor of agathys ends and doesnt come back when your false life/fiend feature hit points end
>>
Tieflings are a shit race that exists for the sole purpose to cater to the animu and hot topic crowd.
>>
>>52739788
>>52739777
Ok good to know I felt like if it stacked it would seem OP. Also if you guys ever play Hexblade this spell seems like a must have for it.
>>
>>52739734
>If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones. For example, if a spell grants you 12 temporary hit points when you already have 10, you can have 12 or 10, not 22.

PHB, pg. 198
>>
>>52739530
Wtf is "extra attack"? Anytime you use haste you only get a single extra weapon attack so you still haven't made it any stronger than PAM or Crossbow Expert adding in haste
>>
>>52739800
b-but tieflings predate both of those
>>
How does one become a bard?
>>
>>52739902
you dont. instead you pick a class that isnt gay.
>>
>>52739839
The extra attack feature that martial classes get.
>>
>>52739902
By playing music so good that reality dances to your tune.
>>
>>52739916
but what if want be gay?
>>
File: homebrewan.png (269KB, 695x949px) Image search: [Google]
homebrewan.png
269KB, 695x949px
Doing bit of homebrewan. Do you think this is appropriate for CR? I am bit worried that the combination of curse breath / misfortune can be bit overwhelming.
>>
>>52739902
Presumably go to a bard college. Otherwise you would somehow have to be gifted the ability to understand the connection of music and magic
>>
>>52737765
Better to let your players know you're a shitty DM up front, rather than down the line when you take away their class features and racial traits because you don't like them.
>>
Our group is about to start CoS soon, and we decided upon a "circus of freaks" as a party theme; lizardfollk monks, albino halflings, the works. I'm going to play the ringmaster/animal tamer, a BM ranger with a Giant Poisonous Snake companion. The rest of the group thinks I should play as a yuan-ti pureblood then, and if they're cool with it, I might as well. Thing is, I'm not usually that fond of playing evil characters. So, what would be a good background for a yuan-ti that left his culture to go train snakes for a circus, and why should I end up in Ravenloft?
>>
>>52739926
So with PAM you get only 1 less attack but you can also stack GWM to add +10 to each damage roll. Maybe the extra attack should be split off to a second feat
>>
>>52739839
>Anytime you use haste you only get a single extra weapon attack

Extra Attack from Martials or Bladelock's Thirsting Blade. It applies to the normal Action as an extra attack, though as you say, the Haste Action doesn't benefit from it.

You could think of it as:
>Normal Action + Extra Attack
>Bonus Attack + (Dual Wielder) Bonus Attack
>Haste Action Attack (not benefitting from Extra Attack)
>>
File: Migration.png (77KB, 749x582px) Image search: [Google]
Migration.png
77KB, 749x582px
>>52738107
I mapped out the migration paths of the ancestors of each subspecies. The paths diverge, and are affected by different selection pressures, resulting in diversity.
>>
>>52740051
depending on the damage dice, the extra attack is either equal to PAM/GWM or better. Too lazy to do the avg damage math though.
>>
Hex Blade questions.

1.) I have 2 Attacks on first attack I use the cantrip Green Flame blade. Now can I still use my second attack after casting the cantrip and if I can during second attack can I cast another attack based cantrip such as Booming blade.

2.) I know the base reach of Shadow Hound is 60 feet but it still lasts if it leaves this range? If not how far can someone go with the hound on em?
>>
>join a new game at lvl 1
>railroading

I'm not talking about ordinary railroading

This advanced stuff.

Before party introductions at a tavern, some god selectively stops time and gives us an ambiguous quest, with a time limit, or the world will end.

But wait

On our way to some city, we encounter another god - who can't be reasoned with or anything. He and his 15th lvl+ knights prevent us from doing anything other than traveling

Reach our destination meet a god child - who instantly knocks me out when I tell her to fuck off and try to flee the quest

I mean goddamn, what drives a person to DM this way? Why should I care at all when my characters impact to the story is irrelevant and I have no choice?
This guy is really cool otherwise.
>>
>>52740227
wow

maybe you should learn the basics before moving into UA territory
>>
>>52740294
Let me guess. Roll 20?

Its because misinterpret what it means to play a game of DnD. A bad DM wants to be a god, to have everyone be their pawns. The Epin Maymay of the Evil DM trying to kill the players and such. What makes a person a bad DM? 1, there's always a need for DMs. 2, they probably have a shit life and need to play gods for a little bit.
>>
>>52740335
No, Irl tgs

I would DM but I have no Minis
>>
>>52740373
Get bottlecaps and a dry erase whiteboard.
>>
>>52740294
They have the story they want to tell and they'll be damned if these other people don't let them hit those notes.
>>
>>52740138
Tops out at 1d8, need the fighting style to add ability, benefits from Hex/Hunter's Mark.
Crossbow Expert + Sniper + Mark + Archery:
3 attacks at -3 6d6+30+3xDex average 66 all hits at full Dex?
PAM + GWM + Mark + GWF:
3 attacks at -5 (2d10+1d4 [rerolling 1 and 2s])+3d6+30+3xStr average 70 at full Str?
Dual Wielding + Mark + TWF:
4 attacks at full 4d8+4d6+4xDex/Str average 52 at full ability?

So really you'd have to see how the negatives to the attacks change your hit rate
>>
>>52740294
>Never DM out of fear of being bad
Maybe I should try it. I can't be worse than people like this
>>
>>52740438
this is what i do regarding minis.
regular water bottle caps are perfect for medium creatures. i use those short eco friendly water caps for small creatures. vitamin water/ arizona caps for large creatures. make my own high res portraits in photoshop, print them out, add asking tape as a backing so that glue doesnt affect the ink, then glue them on. for added sheen and resilience, i spray them down with lacquer or enamel. comes out good enough
>>
>>52740477
huh, yeah depending on hit rates that might make Dual Wielding more consistent at later levels if your DM scales up enemy AC, even with the apparent lower damage. Extra Attack (2) or the Battlemaster maneuvers might actually even that out as well.
>>
Quick, I need a tiny dungeon!
>>
>>52740477
I guess I did this assuming Ranger but Ranger doesn't have access to GWM lol
>>
File: lhz_dun01 (1).png (5KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
lhz_dun01 (1).png
5KB, 256x256px
>>52740604
>>
>>52740373
You don't need minis. My DM just uses dice. You can also pick up a bag of multicolored glass drops

I use the drops to log my spell slots. Its better than writing them down and lets everyone see. I do log them at the end of the session however.
>>
>>52740594
Seems like the best way to balance TWF is to either remove GWM and Sniper from the game, remove PAM or Crossbow Expert from the game, remove the -5/+10 mechanic, or add a Two Weapon Mastery feat that gives a second attack when you use your bonus action for a two weapon attack.

I'd rather just remove PAM and Crossbow Expert since they force opitimization into specific weapon types plus fuck up the action economy. GWM and Sniper would still outclass Dual Wielder on Fighters but to a much smaller degree.
>>
>>52740739
Didn't TWM used to be that the off-hand had a heavy negative attack modifier unless you picked up a feat? I know the off-hand now is weaker than the on-hand, but you'll still be doing damage that way.
>>
>>52740790
I believe in 3e you got negatives to all attacks using two weapons tonthe tone of -2/-4 unless you took a feat of some sort
>>
>>52740739

2H outclasses TWF even without feats.
>>
So I'm taking over as DM for our party since our previous was managing too many games, never done it before but I think I have the hang of it.

The only problem is that in our current run through the starter set, most of us died. A couple PCs lived including my warlock of questionable character (might save him for some hijinks down the line) but I'm trying to think of a way to bring back their characters for times sake since one of our players is moving out of state soon.

Our last DM was pretty strict and to him death meant death, even at lower levels, so is there a reasonable way I could bring the dead party members back while keeping the integrity of the game?
>>
>>52740855
What is 2H? You mean GWF or simply any martial using two handed weapons?
>>
>>52740846
Honestly, I like that idea more. There should be penalties for dual wielding and benefits to two-handing, all regardless of the weapon of choice.

If I two hand a dagger, I feel like I should have a higher attack roll. There's more force to the blow, so I'm more likely to penetrate armor and strike before a dodge. Of course, that means I'm taking a little longer to attack and I can't cast spells or wield a shield.

If I'm dual wielding, my form is all out of whack because I can't focus on landing just one strike. So my attack rolls for both suffer.
>>
>>52740664
Man, that's nostalgic.
>>
>>52740862
Dark Souls style. Keep taking something of worth away from them until they reach a certain checkpoint. Your Fighter prefers Greatswords? Well he just lost it. Paladin likes his plate armor? Here's some Ooze acid to decrease it. Wizard feels like swapping spells out regularly? Probably should have hid his fragile book from the hellhound.
>>
>>52740991
That would be fine except you completely make two handed fighting obsolete without a fighting style or feat and haven't balanced it at all against PAM/Crossbow Expert. You also gimp Rogues a bit since their sneak attack is less reliable without the second attack but I guess the attack bonus balances that a tad
>>
>>52740875
Fighter with GWF beats out TWF after level 5, and specially after 11.

Sword & Board with Dueling Style ties with TWF after 5 on Fighters (until 11) and Rangers.

It kind of works out on Paladins and Barbarians that get TWF through multiclassing into Fighter, but specially for the latter it's not worth the lost of progression.
>>
>>52741051
Well tweaks all around then. Rogues would nullify the penalty as a class feature, and two-handed weapons would function as normal.

PAM/Crossbow Expert is a field all of its own that I can't say I know enough of to properly balance it.
>>
>>52741071
Duelist maxes put at +8
TWF maxes put at +5
I guess if you are counting the shield they balance but all things equal Duelist beats TWF at 11 and never for Rangers

GWF raises avg damage by what, 1? I forget. So with a Greatsword you are still only getting +2 avg for any single attack while not increasing max so you would also need to get to level 11 to outpace TWF but without the shield bonus.

This is all assuming a max ability modifier so obviously it depends on when the TWF maxes his modifier.

With dual wielding the bonus of the shield is reduced so that is less important I suppose
>>
Why are so many wizards autistic?
>>
>>52741333
do you mean players or characters
>>
>>52741464
Yes
>>
>>52741464
Not him, but their players usually are insufferable overbearing pieces of shit.
>>
>>52741501
That's just full casters in general though
>>
>>52741316
Said without feats. One-handing is d8, dual wielding is d6. You can argue for the Dual Wielding feat but then the other styles can also get helpful feats like Sentinel to boost their damage.

Rangers need to use their first bonus action to put Hunter's Mark on - they only beat S&B after 3 rounds of hitting the same target with it, and if they kill it the counter resets as they need another bonus action to move it.

And this is before factoring attack buffs like Haste, and the fact that either 2handing or S&B mean that you only need 1 magical weapon.
>>
>>52741570
wizards are usually more autistic than the rest. Sure some clerics may refuse to heal people and some druids may just want to turn into animals. Way too many wizards think themselves to be the superior full caster
>>
>>52741596
Wizards are just the most generic caster, all the others have a strong flavor inherent to the class, wizards are just bleh
>>
>>52741333
They have a series of procedures called spells that they understand how to do, and struggle outside of those procedures. So they either disassociate themselves from what's happening, or try to shoehorn their procedures into events to help as best they can, or to feel helpful.

>We need an 8 foot high wall
>"I'll cast Wall of Stone!"
>This wall you made is too high
>THAT"S WHAT THE SPELL DOES REEEEEEEE
>>
>>52741333
>>52741464
>>52741488
>>52741501
>>52741570
>>52741596
I knew one overbearing smug piece of shit. He was fat and and legit hideous, and wore a fanny pack?! Wouldn't budge on any issue, it was like talking to a wall, and exclusively liked playing wizards.
Why are these the most arrogant and overbearing?
>>
>>52737765
>Races
V. Human and Drows

>Classes
No class is banned, but multiclass is.
>>
I need help.
so me and my friend are starting a group with about 6 people including me and my friend as the DM. Most of the people we got playing are people that have never played D&D, some are really interested in playing, some are say "it sounds gay" but will still play just to see if its good. Due to this, and to the fact of my friend has exams coming up, my friend suggests we just use a dungeon generator instead of doing actual campaigns. I disagree with him and suggested one of his adventure books (it was either rise of tiemat or the prince one, i forget, but it was a lvl 1 one).
Which do you guys think is better for those who haven't played before? We're starting in like 2 weeks and I want to be on top of things so its not awkward and weird when we start.
>>
>>52741696
*i'm one of the players, not the dm, sorry for shit formatting
>>
My Autism just thought of something: What would happen if a Revenant's goal was to be immortal? They can't die until they complete their goal, rendering them pseudo-immortal. Would they just die instantly?
>>
>>52741686
I thought you could alter the size of wall of stone but make it thinner, aM I thinking of the wrong spell
>>
>>52741570
Wizards, Bards and Warlocks are always the worst casters from my experience. Druids and Clerics can also be annoying but it's less likely. Never personally had and issue with a Sorcerer.

With martials all the most annoying players seem to either be Fighters or Assassins. Not that every one's a problem player but I'm always a bit worried about V. Human Battlemaster with Sharpshooter and very little background story.
>>
>>52741696
The starter adventure, lost mines of phandelver
>>
I'm homebrewing a class for my setting that is themed around passive healing with options to become an active healer.

I know homebrew isn't exactly welcome, but any suggestions?
>>
>>52741696
Lost Mines of Phandelver. If you want to carry on once its done, I'd go with Princes of the Apocalypse
>>
>>52741744
Sorcerer is like wizard but with the autism removed
>>
>>52741765
>Play a wizard with control and utility spells
>Sorcerer constantly shit talking because they do more damage than me
>>
>>52741749
Do you have anything so far, other than an idea for a class?
>>
>>52741780
Oh they all must be autistic because one was :^)
>>
>>52741794
The idea I have right now is that the character will have some kind of passive healing aura that they can amplify on their turn but I'm not sure if that will be too strong.
>>
>>52741765
Pretty much, it's less "I've memorised every spell from here to Athas" and instead just someone who has Arcane magic.

Also most Sorcerer options give opportunities to use Sorcery Points for stuff other then spellcasting, not just "REEEEEEE WHY ISN'T MISTY STEP A REACTION"

Also why the fuck do so many Wizards think Misty Step is a reaction?
>>
So I want to make thorn whip into as good of a cantrip as I can.

The only way I've been able to see how to buff it would be to take spell sniper to increase it to 60 ft.

Any ways to add a damage mod to it? I'm working on a plant guy.
>>
>>52741587
True, not counting for increased crit chance TWF falls behind nedgligibly in damage plus has lower AC. Seems the AC is the real point of balance since the damage difference is relatively unimportant
>>
>>52741825
Because they're autistic and done have a logical bone in their bodies
>>
>>52741814
You'd have to make the healing super weak. I also think that having a classes whole schict be healing kinda blows. Maybe have one path be the healing path, another that has an offensive aura or another with a buffing aura.
>>
>>52741727
they only have a year to complete their goal if i remember correctly
>>
>>52741727
It couldn't even be set up. A revenant is created when someone who died did so in a way that left them wanting vengeance so bad their soul went screaming back into their own corpse to rise from the grave. Their goal is always something tied to why they died.
>>
>>52737765
Anything from Unearthed Arcana.
My players are newbs.
>>
>>52741854
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines.

Two different paths, one being a healer while the other being some kind of buffer.

As to the healing, I was thinking that X per round divided by each ally in your aura, X being maybe like, double your WIS modifier.
>>
>>52741892
The issue is if you make it at-will healing. There's a rather strict design around at-will healing not being in the game ever.

So it'd have to be a certain amount of times per rest and then what would the Healer do when they run out? Even Life Clerics get awesome offensive options and only use Healing when needed, it's only good for bringing someone up from 0 or when the whole party's low.

Is there a reason Life Cleric can't do what you want here?
>>
>>52741946
Mostly the players that I DM for not liking having to dedicate all of their spells to healing, so I wanted to try and make a class that could heal (they insist on needing one as we're doing a very brutal West Marches style game).

The thematic idea I had was the class would pick between being Arcane or Divine based as a 1/3rd caster, with the Arcane being offensive and the Divine being defensive/healing.
>>
>>52741996
>not liking having to dedicate all of their spells to healing, so I wanted to try and make a class that could heal
That's Life Cleric though. They heal so much they don't need to dedicate all their spells to healing
>>
So Wizards have been referencing a bunch of planar and Planescape stuff in most of their released books so far, what're the chances of Wizards releasing supplements involving Planescape?
>>
>>52741996
Paladins have lay on hands, Clerics can heal, a Moon Druid doesn't need their spellslots as much, there's the Healer feat and of course Life Clerics Channel Divinity recharges on a short rest.

If you give someone an Aura of healing it'll be pretty much busted unless it's a high level spell. there's no way to balance that.

Think of HP as a resource, when it's running really low or you're out of it then you have to do something to get it back. To get it back you have to trade another resource. If you can gain as much HP as you want, without giving up a resource then it doesn't balance well, a group of Fighters and Rogues could literally go until they drop.
>>
>>52741868
>>52741879
This is why I'm autistic. Thanks gents.
>>
>>52742072
>Aura of healing it'll be pretty much busted unless it's a high level spell. there's no way to balance that.
Aura of vitality is a 3rd level spell though
>>
>>52742072
>>52742023
So the aura definitely doesn't seem to be a good idea.

I was thinking that it could have a resource of dice, kinda like Bardic Inspiration, that it could give to an ally to use when they need a quick boost of HP.
>>
>>52742065
WotC have been hyping up the rerelease of Planescape Torment so it's chances aren't the worst.
>>
Have you ever seen a player try to justify their twink multiclass build in-character?

The "young town guard fighter who followed the god of X for a season before thinking that stealing shit would be fun until realizing that instead of being a simple herald they should be a holy warrior until they break their oath two seconds later and study wizardry instead until they figure a lute sounds great and that's why the character is built this way."
>>
>>52742174
Yes. The Sorcerer made a deal with a Lady of the Sidhe for more power, gaining a level in Warlock.
>>
>>52742107
That's perfect. Look at the Circle of Dreams Druid and consider doing something like that.
>>
>>52737765
Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Human, Vhuman, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Elves, Dragonborn, Tieflings, Half-Orcs, Genasi, Goliaths, Aarakockra, Deep Gnomes, and all monster races.

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard and all UA classes.
>>
>>52742174
Who cares, that multiclass would be such an abomination they'd play like shit. Thousands of options but you can't do anything well.
>>
>>52742174
I made a Bard with a Cleric dip for Disciple of Life with the fluff that he was a choir boy.
>>
>>52742174
Best I saw was a Fighter/Rogue. He was a tough guy who had done some shady shit and picked up some Rogue skills. Nothing fancy but it worked.

Worst I ever saw was Devotion Paladin multiclass GOO Warlock. I still have no idea what the fuck that was and it was an abomination I hope to never see again.

>>52742218
Aasimar are in the DM guide and not a monster race there. So I can play an Aasimar with no class levels, checkmate.
>>
>>52742235
>Fluffing the choir boy
Well then
>>
How would you describe the art of getting inspiration?
Playing well to your character?
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
Goddamn RoT is sloppily designed.

I'm prepping for Chapter 3/4, and it just gives you set pieces with no links. There's not even a map at the start of the book.

>There's a bridge
>Doesn't matter where it is
>Errrr you go to an inn they tell you about a dwarf
>Somehow this allows you to track him...next paragraph btw you're in a canyon
>Now it's a desert, there's a crypt, its full of spooky snakes
>Halfway through the chapter
>Ok now go back to Waterdeep and proceed with chapter 1.5 then come back and finish the chapter
>>
>>52742287
It's by Kobold Press, what did you expect?
>>
>>52742174
I'm playing a Human Arcana Cleric 1/ War Mage X.

Can someone help me figure something out so the character's got some interesting background?
>>
>>52742256
>I still have no idea what the fuck it was and it was an abomination I hope to never see again.

That sounds like a perfectly played GOOlock. Hell goolocks should strive to be remembered like this, but in a good way.
>>
>>52742312
>Arcana Cleric

Play a wizard instead. Trust me.
>>
>>52742312
>War Mage

Pardon?
>>
>>52742317
Now if this was a movie or something with an Eldritch Horror then I'd agree. It doesn't work well in a TTRPG because there's a whole group and personally I can't think of one person who would spend time around some creepy blathering lunatic for any long period of time.

Especially when the people this "lol I'm an insane cultist" travel with murder cultists on a regular basis. I do believe it's your burden to keep yourself alive and cultists just don't do that well.
>>
>>52742320
>>52742343
It's a Wizard subclass in the Wizard UA.
>>
File: dragon366warlocks.jpg (37KB, 432x576px) Image search: [Google]
dragon366warlocks.jpg
37KB, 432x576px
>>52739734
>not casting Hunger of Hadar to fill a room, locking the door, and listening to their tortured screams as they claw at the door begging for their miserable lives, going insane with despair before the devourer in the void consumes their miserable essence instead.
>>
>>52742359
Yeah, perhaps. My idea for playing a GOOlock would be that as far as the patron goes it's rather benevolent but fucking hates the cults of other great ones because they'd wronged it. Something like Bloodborne's Mother Kos in how it would... be. Without necessarily having insanity, more 'almost insane'

Still, that line was some prime Lovecraft reaction material.
>>
>>52742312
A researcher at the setting's equivalent to a religious college, trying to see what connections existed between the arcane arts and the power of holy magic, since there is some crossover of spells. But when a war began in the Southern border, the capitol sent recruiters to all areas of the country where there was arcane energy, to recruit spellcasters. You got sorted into the spellcaster ranks instead of the Clergy because they detected more arcana than holy magic from you. You had to work hard to be able to keep up, but eventually through sheer determination you were able to catch up to the other arcana casters, and decided it would be better to study the interactions of arcana and holy magic if you learned to interact with both freely. So you kept going in the arcane arts while the war raged on, providing support from the back and sometimes preforming last rites to fallen comrades.
>>
>>52742366
>>52742312
>Multiclassing UA
Which UA is it in? I can't seem to find it
>>
File: 1491065447374.png (396KB, 647x682px) Image search: [Google]
1491065447374.png
396KB, 647x682px
Your party's Fighter slathers his sword in a slurry of human feces to ensure that his foes die of infection, should they survive.

How do you stat this? Is it meaningless fluff or has he effectively created a wand of Contagion with benefits by smearing his weapon with shit?
>>
>>52737765
Sorry party I'm a shit DM who hates fun and you can't play half the classes that can heal effectively and the class that can makes spells more fun
>>
>>52742388
Your's doesn't sound too bad. GOOlocks and all Warlocks I guess, have to be careful because in a world where the average person would consider talking to your patron a pants-shitting experience you won't be treated well.

It can be very well done though and a Feylock was one of the best people I've ever played with

>>52742403
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

This one.
>>
>>52742256
Aasimar and Eladrin also banned. You're also banned from the game as a player because you're human.
>>
>>52742425
Well yeah, I wouldn't be going soft on the experience the goolock would be going through. The patron would have discovered actively by paying attention the kind of shit it can cause to lesser beings, and so it would be very careful in its dealings so it doesn't destroy their minds - insanity would be a detriment and it, for some reason, cares. And a being like that actually caring can be just as scary if you think about it too much. It probably had to experiment to find out how to be gentle, and while it has regrets, it still happened.
>>
>>52742389
This is actually perfect and I have some ideas to make it fit into the setting really well. Might even make him an ex-priest in his background because I've always wanted to do that.
>>
Does Empowerd Spell apply to all of Scorching Ray's beams or just one?
>>
>>52742406
Meaningless fluff.

Infection or disease mean nothing in a world with Paladins lay on hands/lesser restoration/cure wounds.
>>
>>52742406

Meaningless. HP doesn't even mean a character or monster is being wounded, so a DM can say that it's never going to have an effect. NPC's that matter and won't die from one injury can easily access healing. Powerful monsters won't die of infection, if they are affected at all.
>>
What's the general consensus on grid vs no grid?.
I started DMing for a new group just using paper to draw general positions, and I'm usually more of a "theater of the mind" kind of DM, but now i'm wondering about getting a mat and some minis.
>>
Oh man. I'm the forever DM, but I really want to play as a wizard. You guys are sneak attacking me in the feels.
>>
>>52742482
just make a level 20 wizard DMPC and tell the players if they don't like it, they can DM
>>
>>52742478

The grid is useful if you want to use ranged attacks and most characters lack darkvision. Otherwise not that important.
>>
>>52742496
Yeah... nah
>>
pitch me a backstory for a kenku shadowmonk/rogue

no edge
>>
>>52742465
No. As of an errata long ago, multi-roll spells only have it apply to one of them, the first one.

Bad for Scorching Ray, good for Magic Missile.
>>
>>52742525
As a rogue it came across some shadow monks and tried to pickpocket them, got caught, and they told it that its skills were good but incomplete, and should be put to use for a better cause?
>>
>>52742158
Fucking sick.
>>
>>52742478
Depends.

The more 'gamers' you have, the better. The more casters you have, the better.

Depends on your party composition.

A level 11 hunter ranger relies heavily on a fair AoE grouping.
A druid may use spells such as thorn growth and make obstructions and obstacles that matter depending on the environment.
A plain melee fighter might not give a fucking shit. Same for many ranged units.
A melee rogue/monk with mobility only really cares about distance from closest enemy.
A barbarian with sentinel and a polearm may care greatly about where they can stand to prevent enemies running past him.
>>
>>52742525
You originate from a small monastery high in the mountains where you learned the basics of monkhood: self defense, honor towards your kinsman, etc. As you rise to the top of your class it has become time for you to learn that the monastery has had a long tradition/deal of defending a local lord and the family for generations and then must use their skills of a monk to assassinate political enemies, troublesome family members that seek to take the royal seat for themselves, etc then they'd develop skills as a rogue.
>>
>>52742525
Kenku is living a shit life in the street, occasionally preforming street plays from perfect memory for money, and he sees a guy pickpocket during the night. Because Kenku, they learn how to copy that pretty fast, but because bird person, they failed pretty hard when trying to pick pocket the rogue. But the rogue took pity on him because he had a similar upbringing, taught him some skills for the week he was in town, and left with a Kenku that knew how to defend himself, stay in the shadows when trouble breaks out, and how to make sure they can get by in the streets.

Eventually, they get caught with thieve's tools in an inn, and people just naturally assumed they were there to steal. So when they were in their jail cell, they were offered a choice from the sympathetic town prosecutor. Go to trial, and have a high chance of railroading into prison by an unsympathetic public, or leave the town in "banishment," but with an in to a monastery that his cousin goes to. He takes the out, goes to the monastery and learns from the teachers there how to be a shadow monk. Eventually, he feels confident enough in his abilities to go out and make a living, all while sending tithes to the monastery whenever possible. He hopes to one day find the man who taught him his original rogue skills and thank him for helping him in a time where he was doing badly. Although he is held back by his lack of speech without mimicry, he's heard enough words to hold a conversation with common folk, but nobles can have a vocabulary above him, due to not learning their speech.
>>
would you allow heelies in your campaign?
>>
File: 1348450731251.jpg (38KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1348450731251.jpg
38KB, 480x320px
Whats the objective worth of gold as a reward?

Past the early levels when you have all the armour and weapons you want, finding 20k in a chest means literally nothing. You could invest it and make more gold to not have a use for? You could build a business spend ages running it to make yet more gold?

Unless your DM lets you casually buy magic items, which he shouldn't, which would be prohibitively expensive anyway.
>>
>>52742702
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlSmFsa2UtOENBdDQ/view
>>
>>52742690
Like the shoes with wheels in the heels
>>
>>52742768
yes
>>
>>52742702
The downtime UA gives plenty of good reasons to spend gold. Research, making friends, getting future discounts on cleric services, and yes, buying magic items, though it's a fairly involved process.
>>
>>52742702
Gold=Exp for certain suitable campaigns.

Otherwise it's usually just an in-character incentive, really.
>>
>>52742702
>>52742736
>>52742781
I'm waiting for Matt to release his stronghold rules.
>>
File: $_32.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
>>52742690
Probably not but maybe a set of skates that strap/clamp to your shoes.
>>
>>52742736
Thanks for sharing this.
>>
...Does Basic Poison not actually apply the Poison status?

fukken why? 100gp to do nothing seems dumb

https://astranauta.github.io/items.html#Basic%20Poison%20(vial)
>>
>>52742849
http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2017/03/worldbuilding-option-fortresses-temples.html
This too.
If you have more money than god then there is nothing better than building your own home.
>>
>>52742772
Sure why not. Expecially if it was a modern setting. Maybe a magic item that when you speak the command word wheels appear in the heels of the boots
>>
>>52742690
For what fucking purpose
Some sort of engineered shoes that can tilt back to deploy onto wheels that propel via boosters or magical power, maybe, for certain surfaces that aren't common in combat so you can shoot while moving.
>>
How good/bad is the Artificer class that UA added?
>>
Now that I've seen it is a Dwarven War Mage any good?

I figured I'd go 10, 14, 16, 14, 12, 10 and use the free level 1 feat our game does for Warcaster. Then just max INT as soon as possible while walking around like a tank.

Is this a good idea or nah?
>>
>>52742958
Is very [spoilers] good/bad [/spoilers]
>>
>>52740030
Secret agent Snek infiltrates politics in some Lord's court for his snake overlords. Has to participate in a business lunch brothel trip with his human associates in order to keep appearances. Knocks up a prostitute, doesn't know, eventually kobolds especially on to another assignment.
Prostitute go especially birth to a "human", you don't realize what you are until puberty starts hitting you hard. Wasn't raised in a society of snake cults, so you're only just slightly austistic/sociopathic.
>>
>>52742975
You can just highlight the text and ctr+s.
>>
>>52742991
I'm phone posting retard
>>
>>52743006
Then maybe you should learn not to put an s on the end of spoiler.
>>
>>52743006
irony
>>
>>52743021
:^)
>>
>>52740227
Those cantrips are only cast by using the "Cast a spell" action, and as a part of that action (that you're casting a spell with) you have to make a melee attack.

Extra attack can only happen when you use the "Make an attack" action.

So you can't make an extra attack, and also you can't even make an attack with your bonus action.

Coincidentally, Sorcerers can use Metamagic like Quicken Spell to cast GFB or Booming Blade using a bonus action, and then again as an action. Though the secondary damage of BB doesn't stack.
>>
Why do people ban classes and races from the source books from their games
>>
My players never loot bodies or rooms, even in situations where it would probably be appropriate to do so. Have you ever encountered this? Should I as a DM wait for them to search a room's containers, or should I just give them the stuff inside it after they clear it?
>>
>>52743198
They miss older editions or they want to spite you.
>>
Playing a game with a martial while other players are casters is just a recipe for disaster. Keep the party within tiers:

T1
Warlock, Druid, Bard, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Sorcerer

T2
Paladin, Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Monk
>>
>>52743227
I haven't had it turn out bad.
>>
Ritual Caster for a Rogue Thief Y/N?

Character is a member of the Church so taking Ceremony would be rather fitting, though I might just ask the DM if I can learn it without the feat.
>>
>>52743227
Your opinions are shit and should be taken seriously by no one. Not even yourself.
>>
File: 300px-LOLth.jpg (25KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-LOLth.jpg
25KB, 300x225px
My character is a rogue and I want to multiclass into Warlock, today my DM revealed to me that if I were to continue on this path my patron would be Lolth. Regardless of the debate of if she can be a patron or not is there some homebrew that has some changes to how the bonuses go? All of the abilities seem fit for anyone but Lolth (burning hands from the spider queen?) Any ideas/suggestions?
>>
>>52743227
Alternatively, you can just divide it into Full Casters vs. Half or lower. The important thing is access to >5th level casting, and a faster spell progression.
>>
>>52743227
>rogue is t1
?
>>
>>52743249
It would make for some cool RP moments, but in a practical sense it doesn't seem worth it. There aren't that many ritual spells to begin with and unless you have a massive (ritual) spell homebrew I doubt it ever will be. Try asking the DM for something similar without wasting the feat to try and get these super situational "bonuses".
>>
>>52743006
>calling anybody a retard
>while phone posting
>>
>>52743362
>TFW actually have a life but also like shitposting of 4chan
>>
>>52743362
he just missed an "a"
>>52743371
>lying on the internet.
>>
>>52743390
>projecting this hard
>>
>>52743348
Familiar is always worth a feat on rogue
>>
guys, my dm has decided that hitting 20 on a disadvantage roll makes it automatically hit anyway. I am kind of new to d&d and am wondering: besides pointing out my own cleric spells which give enemies disadvantage are now 10% worse, are there any other things I can point out to get everyone else who voted yes to change their minds?
>>
>>52743269
>Regardless of the debate of if she can be a patron or not
There is no debate, she can't
You could always just take the fiend patron, and change the spells to more Lolth-y ones
>>
>>52743399
>muh projecthurs.
how deep in shitty memes can we go?
>>
>>52743446
Very deep :^)
>>
>>52743406
>Attack with a longbow from 600 feet away
>Higher crit chance than someone attacking from 50 feet away
I will never understand some DMs
>>
>>52743406
Literally the definition of disadvantage rolls is to take the lower number, no matter what it is. For it to automatically hit 20 must be rolled on both dice.

The players might have voted this to improve their chance of hitting enemies, but this ruling works against them, imagine if the DM starts a luck streak and the boss crits multiple times from multiattack + legendary actions, even though he might have advantage.
>>
>>52743526
*disadvantage
>>
What are the best Wall spells for a Wizard other then Wall of Force?
>>
>>52734741
What is the best monastic tradition?
-Mechanic wise
-RP wise

What would you change about the monk?
>>
>>52743611
Cure autism
>>
>>52743635
>Mechanics
Kensai does a ridiculous amount of damage for a monk and Open Hand can 15ft pushback people diagonally up. So they can Tekken punch people into the sky.

>RP
Sun Soul and Shadow

>Change
Give them a level 6 ASI.
>>
One of my players is a picky bitch when it comes to magic items. I'm trying to give him something he wants, and I've outright asked him about it, but it's not exactly simple.

He's playing a Fighter and basically he hates both +X weapons and weapons with sparkly special abilities everywhere. First one because they're boring, and second one because he doesn't want to feel like his character's accomplishing things because of a sword that shoots lasers or something.

Basically, I think he wants a weapon that feels badass, like it's adding to his character's badassness (something only a cool dude would be able to get or something like that), without being just some additional numbers but ALSO without stealing the show.

What do, /tg/? Should I just throw a flaming sword at him or something? Any ideas?
>>
>>52743701
Give him fucking nothing.
>>
>>52743701
Don't give him a magic weapon.
>>
>>52743659
I don't understand why you like Sun soul RP wise
>>
>>52743701
Give him a sword that lets him make an extra attack as a reaction/bonus action if he does a certain amount of damage in one round

Preferably >>52743714

since hes being a whiny bitch.
>>
Is it possible to play any of the Sorcerer archetypes as a close range attacker? Stone Sorcery looks amazing, but its UA. How well does that work anyway?
>>
>>52743737
Does nobody want to play sorcerer as a ranged blaster?
>>
>>52743701
>>52743734
If you have to give him that sword, make it so the damage per turn is almost ridiculously high, because fuck him.
>>
>>52743701
Use random magic item tables. It's not for every group but honestly with this guy a random item would work best.

Make it clear you're not going to cater to their specific wants and that dungeons will be full of treasure that may or not be what they want.

>>52743737
Pretty well. You can Quicken and Twin BB to be hitting 3 times in a round.

>>52743747
I once played a Green Dragon Sorcerer. It sucked ass but the group were all new so I could get away with playing a character I liked thematically.
>>
>>52743701
He wants Guts' Dragonslayer. A normal metal sword that becomes stronger because of his own actions.

Make a sword that feeds off of his kills. For every 10 kills, he can expend the sword's power to take an entire second turn.

Or just allow him to make an extra attack if he kills something by using a regular attack.

>>52743747
If I wanted to cower behind a rock and cast 150 foot long spells, I would have picked Wizard or Warlock.
>>
>>52743611
Stone, Prismatic and Ice
Fire is ok but I don't really like it
Water and Sand are bad
>>
>>52743731
It's mostly because of the actual order over the abilities. I personally think the idea of the working to channel sun energy is cool.
>>
>>52738595
Where is this from and is there any more?
>>
>>52743764
>Green Dragon
That's where you went wrong.
>>
>>52739956
Adult dragons are Huge in size
>>
>>52743852
I knew it was bad. It was for my Yuan-ti and I enjoyed it though because I love playing Poison focused characters.
>>
>>52743701
Give him a magic sword with no bonuses. All it does it let him ignore mundane weapon resistance immunity.
>>
>>52743701
Magic weapon that give utility cantrip like light?
>>
How do you play Trickery Cleric? With range weapon or something?

The illusion seem neat but doesn't really help the class the much and poison damage suck.
>>
Why do you hate anyone that tries to play your game, GMs?
>>
Is giving a character 60ft of Truesight as long as they never tell a lie reasonable? As soon as they lie they lose the ability.
>>
>>52744022
20 feat and how do you determine if he lie or not?
>>
>>52743747
Sorlock
>>
>>52734846
I did all those stats a few threads ago for a reason. Have TWF Style give an off-hand attack equal to half your Extra Attacks (rounding up) as part of the same attack action. Leave Dual Wielder the same.
>>
>>52744032
Because I have reasonable trust in a player not to cheat out of character. If he does I'll call him out when I find out and then most likely kick him from the game if I don't feel I can trust him.

Also what about 30ft? It's meant to be a gift from what's basically a GOO with a bunch of weird desires, she's going to offer each of the three party members a boon with her different heads, this head has a hatred of all lying.
>>
>>52736033
>This mate-gray short-sword does not set things on fire
So just like a normal sword?
>>
File: 1422490937719.png (428KB, 701x691px) Image search: [Google]
1422490937719.png
428KB, 701x691px
>>52742736
>The Drow in the High Castle
>>
File: 1489306932230.png (640KB, 710x753px) Image search: [Google]
1489306932230.png
640KB, 710x753px
Could someone post the backstory of a compelling character? Any time i venture from the heavily generic i end up going too far into edgy territory.
>>
A player came to me with a character concept that was blind but had learned Blindsight.
I told him that it was alright, but he couldn't see jackshit beyond the radius.
It seemed fine for an old druid guy.
>>
>>52743731
I like it because you're basically GokRyu.
>>
>>52744219
Blindsight is very strong in 5e. Unless you make it into 10ft radius, it's pretty OP.
>>
do you guys think that turning around should take movement? i want to refluff my fireball as an explosive fart and im not sure if this would require me to expend movement turning around
>>
>>52744556
I'd be more worried about how likely you are to be kicked out of a group for being a retard.

Also that would be a refluffed Burning Hands.
>>
>>52744556
No
Doing a spin kick doesn't cost movement so turning to firefart shouldn't too
>>
File: enlightened fish men.jpg (23KB, 320x326px) Image search: [Google]
enlightened fish men.jpg
23KB, 320x326px
>>52744204

orphaned character raised by a pacifist kuo-toa archpriest who worships demogorgon. your character whimsically tries to round up a cult to mentally project the old ones into existence like kuo-toa do.

pic related
>>
>>52744432
30ft would be enough?
>>
>>52744607
>I'd be more worried about how likely you are to be kicked out of a group for being a retard.
This basically.
>>
So Wall of Fire says it has to be cast "on a solid surface within range".

Now normally when people cast the spell they make a wall on the floor to block off areas and deal damage. It's a decent spell.

What if I cast it in a dungeon room or something, on the wall? So instead of jets of fire shooting from the floor they're shooting 20 feet out of the wall. Basically making wall mounted flamethrowers that become very hard to evade. Is this possible RAW?
>>
>>52742525
I shit you not, a Kenku shadowmonk by the name of Jim-Whistle may have been the saving grace of my last campaign
The fucker took Linguist
Anyway, he ended up being caught by the Dao after living at a monastery he was incapable of telling us about. Honestly, I'd play a wizard's find familiar spell gone terribly wrong, who was captured by a taxidermist and nearly killed, saved only by the fortunate timing of one of the more...eccentric members of the thieve's guild.
>>
My party has been approached by the brother of a warlord who wants to take his place. The brother does not want the party to just waltz in and kill him as this would just show to the populace that it's as simple as who has the biggest stick when it comes to toppling a warlord. Any ideas on how to achieve the power exchange? I can't think of anything particularly striking.
>>
>>52744204

Character has a friendly meeting with a magical creature. The magical creature left a trinket behind, which is now your character's starting trinket. Your goal is to find them again, however, most of their kind are evil creatures.
>>
>>52744738
That works. Go nuts.

I don't know that it's any harder to avoid if put on a wall. The wall's max dimensions are a square (20x20), so it's not like you're changing the area denied in any way.
>>
>>52744738

The ideal scenario is using it in a 10' wide passage so the enemy cannot avoid taking damage.
>>
>>52744793
Make it look like an accident. A hunting one where his body gets torn to shreads could be good.

The other option's making it look like divine intervention, that the gods wanted his brother to take the throne.

>>52744832
Actually it could cover a space 60 feet long, 20 feet wide.

Now I'm wondering about other wall spells.
>>
>>52744852
divine intervention one might work as the characters have started a small scale bear cult and their inspiration for taking this job is so that their "holy city" becomes an independent city state that and the brother is offering to enforce it as the regional religion.
>>
>>52744852

don't forget blade barrier
>>
What are the most interesting locales on the Sword Coast in your opinion?
>>
File: 1491068197351.jpg (145KB, 589x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491068197351.jpg
145KB, 589x800px
Give me a villain for a greek themed campaign starting at level 3
>>
>>52745006
The portals to other, more interesting settings.
>>
>>52745006
>forgettable realms
>interesting

Here's my question: why do people bother with such a shitty setting, when they could rip off of almost any other setting?

>>52745022
A lord, he was told one of his children would kill him by The Oracle. Not wanting to die, but also not wanting to break his lineage, he imprisoned them all in a terrible maze while he pursued the secrets to eternal life. Those children are the party. They must escape the maze, get out, and kill their dad.
>>
>>52745064
>when they could rip off of almost any other setting?

Because I'm running SKT and my options are kind of limited.
>>
File: Go on then do your duty.png (655KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Go on then do your duty.png
655KB, 1280x720px
Is it better to make a copy of a character to an extent, or rather base it off their personality?

For context, thinking of making a character based off Stannis Baratheon. But not a carbon copy. Any suggestions?
>>
>>52745022

Dyonisian worshippers who believe philosophy and society was a mistake. They want to tear down the establishment and just fucking party in drunken revelry and sacrificing to Dyonisus all day.
The cultists are mainly all women, the Bacchae.
The big boss is the reincarnation of Dyonisus and Orpheus. He drives people to madness with the power of song. BARD SHENIGANS.

Party are philosopher kings in training, each an analogue for one of the presocratic philosophers.
>Democritus and Heraclitus endlessly bickering. Empodocles being lolso crazy
Yes please.
>>
>>52743201
Pretty weird behavior for players. If they don't want it well then they don't want it
>>
>>52745022

Athena conspires with the gods of Persia to take the throne of Zeus.

One of her mortal servants is her grand priest who has made underground connections to undermine the Greek Confederacy.
>>
>>52743201
I also have to remind my players that things are unlooted, it's utterly fucking bizarre.
>>
>>52745022

chimera with maximum hp and legendary actions. alternatively, take a chimera and add an intelligent medusa head as its tail. the whole creature has all the actions of a chimera, but also the medusa's petrifying gaze and snake hair attack.
>>
>>52745064
It's because FR has had too much market saturation, but it has good bits.
>>
File: hbo-rome-2.jpg (185KB, 877x1202px) Image search: [Google]
hbo-rome-2.jpg
185KB, 877x1202px
>>52745082

>Is it better to make a copy of a character to an extent, or rather base it off their personality?

You should go for the latter choice. It presents a lot of flexibility if you want to move the character in directions different than the one its based on. But you can copy that character if you want, if only with several variations.

As an example, I based a character off of Lucius Vorenus from Rome. He was part of the military, and then retired from service. And given the character's background story, he was cultured with good education. But he definitely lacks in combat prowess and leadership skills, where Vorenus excels at. In addition, my character had an even worse handle on social situations than Vorenus(and even he had problems).

So, just make that character up after the personality. Write a short paragraph or three for ideas. If it looks too much like the original character, simply alter it.
>>
>>52745235
Fair point, I was falling into that direction already. But it came down to the idea of getting a Martial Character vs The mystic I have currently slotted in.
>>
File: Capture.png (174KB, 887x772px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
174KB, 887x772px
On a scale of 1-10 how fucked is this.

It's meant for a Rogue taking Spell Sniper, they're a church agent so something Radiant fits better than GFB and I think Booming Blade is OP on Rogues

Idea is it's meant to be weaker than GFB since Radiant is typically better than Fire.
>>
>>52744556
Characters don't really have a facing in 5e, as far as tactical combat is concerned. So no, probably not.
>>
>>52745342
Not that guy, but I hate how there's no facing in 5e, then you read Basilisk/Medusa and wonder how that works.
>>
>>52745379
Facing is a variant rule in the DMG that no one uses.

For basilisks and medusas, you choose to avert your eyes at the start of your turn and are then functionally blinded against the creature for the round. It has advantage to hit against you, and you have disadvantage to hit it.
>>
>>52745379
The ability already tell you how it work.
>>
>>52744204
You were born into a poor family, and they stressed the importance of finding a steady, reliable, quiet job and life, so that you'd be able to support yourself as well as your parents. You, however, were never able to look away from the plight of other people, or just submit to a life of being trod over by any bandit or monster that felt like abusing the common folk. No, you wanted to be someone who wouldn't be abused, someone who didn't need to keep his head down and hope for the best.

You became a sellsword. Or a wizard. Or a cleric. Whatever. Point is, you had drive to be someone more than the common folk. You had in you too much potential to squander it on something like that. You knew right from the start it would be hard, but you didn't let that stop you. And then your father died.

There wasn't any great injustice done. Your father died for no real reason, due to a simple accident. Point is, that meant your mother and little brother (far too young to work yet) were without a provider. And try as you might to justify your decision, there wasn't really escaping the fact that things would have been different. If nothing else, you still had responsibilit.y

So now, you use your skills to provide. Half of everything you earn, as a sellsword or just from your adventures, you send home, to provide for your family. At the same time, you also want to prove your life choice was valid. Both to yourself and your family. You can be who you want to be, as well as being who they need you to be. You can do it. And you're sure as hell going to show them you can.
>>
>>52745745
>>52745745
>>52745745
>>
File: 1454297192376.jpg (112KB, 904x960px) Image search: [Google]
1454297192376.jpg
112KB, 904x960px
>>52744204
> You confessed to a girl that you love her
> She rejects you and in your shame you run away from home
> This isn't the first time you've run away, you do it nearly every week
> However, this time you get pressganged into becoming a sailor
> Your ship gets wrecked on the coast of a new land, all hands except yourself are lost
lol. congratulations, you've got your motivation (getting home, or getting the girl or w/e), you've got a dark and brooding past you don't want to talk about, and you've got a reason for being there.

No need to thank me.
Thread posts: 373
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.