[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: "Waiting for arcana" edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 431
Thread images: 46

File: y38rapo2szry.png (622KB, 709x918px) Image search: [Google]
y38rapo2szry.png
622KB, 709x918px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52745745

So, what do you think we'll be getting this time? Keep in mind that this is second-to-last weekly arcana, then we're going back to monthly ones.
>>
is 5ed good yet ?
>>
>>52751120
Unearthed Arcana: Alright fuckit, playtest Martials and sorcerers

one can dream
>>
>>52751120
Will we get one today?
>>
>>52751137
No, but it has a lot of potential.
>>
How would you work the first ability of the tiger totem into a weapon? I have a barb who was really torn between bear and tiger totem, and he ended up going bear. He really liked the idea of leaping into combat and going crazy. I'm going to give him some sort of magic weapon at 5 and want to channel some sort of limited use of the tiger totem leap with it. Ideas?
>>
>>52751137
It was good at release.
>>
>>52751175
Give him a magical +1 Pole Arm, then develop a sudden fascination with pole vaulting as a hint. Also, "limited use ability to jump good" is a terrible idea. Why would you limit it? What possible balance issue could jumping good provoke that you feel the need to say "okay mr. barb, you can jump good, but afterwards you need to sleep 8 hours before you can jump good again"
>>
>>52751120
> posting Pathflounder character as OP image
> from Reddot

GO BACK TO /PFG/
>>
>>52751163
Not the same poster, but I'm actually against magic items as a cure-all for martials. They rarely add anything new to the combat routine, and having a shit DM a long time ago has biased me against any type of cool buffs or abilities that can be taken away at the drop of a hat. The appeal to martials is that they can do their cool stuff consistently, and adding magic items kinda gives up that appeal.
>>
What's a good magic item for a warlock to make things more interactive for them instead of "I guess I eldritch blast again". Homebrew is fine too, I was thinking maybe a ring of spell storing or something.
>>
>>52751386
Ring of spell storing is always an option, or a staff that has preset spells in it, there are a couple in the DMG
>>
>>52751386
A ring that lets them reach level 11 or a ring that makes them a different class if they find being the magical version of an archer boring.
>>
>>52751312
That's pretty bad, but how exactly do you know it's a picture from reddit?
>>
>>52751163
Per rest abilities are actually the most magical sounding abilities. Why is a battlemaster only allowed to trip 4 people in a special way before needing an hours rest? At will type abilities are more easily explained as "you trained in this technique, you can do it at will, per encounter type abilities are more easily explained as "you pulled this trick once against these guys, but it ain't gonna work twice against the same group". Per rest abilities just are nonsensical. You tripped 4 guys up, and now you're so tired you can't do it anymore, but you're still fully able to run forever in your full suit of plate armor while swinging your heavy ass sword around anywhere from 4 to several dozen times a second. Okay.

>>52751386
Rod of the Pact Keeper
Staff of the Adder (if a shillelegh warlock)
Cloak of the Hellhound
Staff of Swarming Insects
>>
>>52751386
a tome that gives them normal level 1-5 spell slots instead of short rest spells. They decide if they want to use normal spell casting or 1-5 slots at the start of the day
>>
>>52751386
A magic item that lets the entire group take short rests within 5 minutes like it should be
>>
Running Lost Mines and a Fighter that is level 4 is pretty bummed out he can't do anything besides hit stuff. First time having a Fighter in a party so I'm not sure what he can do. What's up with that.
>>
>>52751137

It's been good but some of the problems with have it have been smoothed over with some of the UAs

I'd say that the key thing it lacks at this point is more adventures that are in the theme of LMoP. I think in the attempt to make big adventure path modules they've somewhat forgotten the need to make 5e accessible to new DMs so that it's not just the same bunch of forever DMs that have been stuck in that role since AD&D
>>
>>52751506
What archetype is he?
>>
>>52751438
Autists always know shit like that, even though it's a picture that could easily work in 5e
>>
>>52751506
This is a pretty common problem, and the only solution is to basically ignore or change the default rules to encourage creativity rather than stifle it. Look at his skill set, and try to come up with problems that he would be best at solving. Good combat design can also help, because people who aren't super concerned about optimizing their damage per round will take your prompts and do crazy shit in the combat. But if he's a min/maxer, just let him respec, because he's going to be stuck hitting stuff for a long time.
>>
>>52751506
>>52751522

Yep, archetype and background choices can have a big impact on gameplay.

As a DM I encourage every player to build character with the assumption that 1/3rd of the game will be exploration, 1/3rd will be social interaction, and 1/3rd will be combat focused.

If PCs are built for combat only then they are definitely going to be bored.

But seriously it doesn't require that much of an investment to make sure that you have a decent Wisdom + Perception and a decent Social Skill + Charisma.

Dedicated Face characters are cancer.
>>
>>52751522
Champion.
>>
>>52751585
Do you think that's why bards are so good this edition? They decided to make them way more useful than just a face and went a little over board?
>>
>>52751567

It's not even the standard half-dressed weeb images that typically are used in /pfg/.

Yeah the art is meh deviantart tier stuff but it's still pretty standard level of realism
>>
>>52751606
Champion is ass, tell him to switch to Battle Master.
>>
>>52751606
He's fucked then, unless you let him re-pick and tell him go Battlemaster.
>>
>>52751585
>Dedicated Face characters are cancer.
Whats a dedicated face character? I get in something like shadowrun you can make a character that is just social and useless at everything else, but how is that even possible in D&D 5e?
>>
>>52751641
Some people can still pull it off by playing bard and being either stupid or putting everything, even spells, into social stuff and nothing else.
>>
>>52751612

Bards are more powerful this edition (although they were decent in 4e as well) it's just that most groups do something like having the bard handle every social interaction because Cha 20 + Bard Skill selections means that they can typically Roll through most social encounters.

But seriously in towns encourage the PCs to separate and pursue various downtime activities. You shouldn't need to drag the bard out of the tavern just to do a shopping trip to the market.
>>
>>52751606
Let him switch to battlemaster, remember to give your PCs short rests.
>>
>>52751606

Champion is total beer and pretzels this is the character sheet you give to the first time gamer who is a drop into your campaign archetype.

It's 100% about hitting shit hard and doesn't even have the flavor of Barbarian.
>>
Has anyone here ever played a Purple Dragon Knight? I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about them
>>
>>52751716
There is very little to talk about because they don't do anything interesting.
>>
I heard that mundane gears are overprice in CoS. Would that apply to spell material components too? Is there even a place where I can purchase some diamond for revivify?
>>
>>52751716
It's shit. Even battlemaster does a better job of being a warlord than PDK does.
>>
File: fightermakeoverv4.pdf (134KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
fightermakeoverv4.pdf
134KB, 1x1px
>>52751606
If you're interested in homebrew, I've been working on some fighter tweaks as part of a larger project to re-balance 5e. Champion fighter is changed a lot to be more active and not always about just hitting things. I'd love any criticism you have for it as well.
>>
>>52751626
>>52751567
She wear Pathfinder's SJW deity holy symbol
REEEEEEEE
>>
>>52751606
All these suggestions for switching to battle master but he's bored of just hitting things.

Have him go eldritch knight. It's got some good versatility as they gain the non-forced abjuration/evocation spells.
>>
What books do you recommend getting after PHB, MM, and DMG?
>>
>>52751939
Volos if DM, which I assume you are.
>>
>>52751939
Volo's guide to monsters if you're a DM. Also, every book is in the mega right in the OP, just in case you're not too rich.
>>
>>52751939
Sword Coast Adventuerer Guide, Elemental Evil, and Volo's Guide to Monsters if you're a player

If you're a DM obviously the setting books are all good.
>>
File: 1369427368350.jpg (44KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
1369427368350.jpg
44KB, 675x900px
Guys, how should I build a rogue scout?

Is it even good? That mobility looks fun.
>>
Hey guys. I've been thinking lately about getting into 5th edition, and seeing Tales From the Yawning Portal is pretty much got me locked in at this point.
I'd like to run the Tomb of Horrors for my group, with them using the Remnant subrace for a respawn/ Dark Souls style mini-adventure.

I have my concerns though. Does anyone know if the Tomb of Horrors is the best dungeon to use with this?
>>
>>52751985
Tomb of Horrors is short as fuck, anon.
>>
>>52751784
What deity is that?
>>
>>52751968

It's a solid archetype. /5eg/ seems to prefer the swashbuckler and the arcane trickster but I like the mobility and nature skill aspects to the scout.

Makes it function as a decent Ranger replacement and it's solid if you are willing to be a ranged sniper kiting the opposition.
>>
>>52752029

Saranrae who is pretty much the Pathfinder drop in replacement for sun dieties like Lathander and Pelor.
>>
>>52751985
Sounds like Curse of Strahd would work better for that, unless you wanted it to be really short
>>
>>52752085
>>52752085
Just read the wiki and don't see anything SJW that stands out, only thing could be "muh SJWs replaced x god!" Because her realm being the sun, easy fix is that the others exist but either act differently or view their duty in a different light and have a difference of method.

I hate SJWs as much as the next but make sure it's an actual issue besides "they made an alternative, which can easily be ignored and not included in your games."
>>
>>52751939
SCAG, EE.

Read up adventures next.

Everything else is optional.
Only some UAs are passable for usage.

>>52751968
Start as a variant human monk with mobile and take next 3 levels in Scout.

You get expertise on 4 skills and proficiency in 5 skills.

Play it as a mobile survivalist and use ranged weapons till you have extra attack as a monk.
>>
>>52752222
They're a female deity which includes some war aspects ("swift justice delivered by the scimitar's edge"), favors peace and compassion, and is described as bronze of complexion.

For some people, any one of those three is a "REEEE SJW" aspect. All three is like nails on a chalkboard. Admittedly these are often times the same people who complain about the picture used for the human page in the 5E handbook.
>>
>>52752336
>They're a female deity which includes some war aspects ("swift justice delivered by the scimitar's edge"), favors peace and compassion, and is described as bronze of complexion.

Isn't that literally athena out of real world grecian mythology?
>>
>>52752336
>scimitar
>swift, compassionate justice delivered peacefully. Or did I mix those up
>Bronze

Its really just that they don't know what they're doing. I could sneeze and hit 3 tumblr pages with as much quality and thought.
>>
>>52752065
>Makes it function as a decent Ranger replacement and it's solid if you are willing to be a ranged sniper kiting the opposition.

I think it offers a lot more utility than a ranger.
>>
>>52752405
Yes it is, but I can see >>52752336 point and it's idiots like that who reeee over every little thing that hurt gaining ground when there is actually a problem. It's just like the SJWs are a parody of what they represent and therefore are hurting their own image and efforts over time, jumping the gun and doing exactly the same is how we end back at square one instead of actual balance.
>>
>>52752405
Sweet summer child, you've never seen ancient deities labeled as SJW shit?

>>52752434
Case and point: Almost Literally Athena is tumblrina shit.
>>
File: Mother goddess.jpg (21KB, 220x414px) Image search: [Google]
Mother goddess.jpg
21KB, 220x414px
>>52752483
>Sweet summer child, you've never seen ancient deities labeled as SJW shit?
>>
>>52752483
If they were good, they wouldn't have to donutsteel an existing God.

>>52752514
T H I C C
H
I
C
C
>>
>>52752336
>They're a female deity which includes some war aspects
But no one dislikes Red Knight
>>
>>52752514
If I remember correctly these have been debunked as a fetishists personal interpretation haven't they?
>>
>>52751450
Explain it like exploits. It's not a fatigue pool, it's the player taking control of randomly available circumstances. The player has a limit on narrative manipulation though.
>>
>>52752558
You would be surprised. I've had to walk people on /tg/ through a list of scholarly sources a mile long just to prove that the likes of Scythian horse archers and Goths of the XX-variety even existed, let alone were within spitting distance of the realm of being slightly plausible in a fantasy setting. There's a… distressingly high number of fa/tg/uys who think that female PCs should be limited to the Rogue or Caster archetypes only.

>>52752549
The very existence of wizarding staffs is people stealing Tolkien's donutsteel of Odin (Gandalf's staff a reference to Odin's portrayal as a wanderer and its association with the experience such brings).

D&D's Tiamat was, at one point, quite literally Tiamat from Babylonian mythology who at some point became a bit draconic.

In general, many fantastical settings rip rather heavily from real-world examples because it saves a lot of time on the creator's part.
>>
>>52752650
Metacurrency, explaining why the boxes the fighter used to trip up an enemy weren't available for use before the fighter tried to use them, like that doesn't work for every group. For most groups, they'd rather have magic powers than the ability to cheat the plot. And it's an issue that is easily avoidable if you just avoid doing per rest type powers.
>>
>>52752875
If you don't like it, the Champion/Slayer/Knight is right over there? I mean, it's not really my problem. I just see a few really dedicated people determined to explain why something they don't like is bad.
>>
I cant enter WotC's webside in my job's computer. Is the new arcana out?
>>
>>52753069
Not yet, alas.
>>
>>52752737
Sure, its used for familiarity and relatability. But there's an, admittedly subjective, area where it crosses from inspiration to donutsteel. Its the difference between drawing or tastefully photoshopping your item and recoloring it. The former shows at least a semblance of effort while the latter is almost insulting. All artists steal, but the skill is in how you mold what you steal.

As an aside thought, for as much as SJWs protest appropriation, they do an awful lot of it themselves. Its rather fitting
>>
>>52752968
Champion is also flawed dude, because it's the do nothing but attack class. Remember the context of how this discussion started: Someone was talking about how martial cantrip like features could be the new maneuvers. Then some moron said that made no sense, but somehow metacurrency makes more sense and isn't just "plot magic". I can't tell if you are that moron, but if you are, try to remember the context.
>>
Making a Moon Domain to use with my Cleric of Eilistraee since I didn't feel like playing a Bard again. What spells would you guys suggest for domain spells? I've got Faerie Fire and Moonbeam so far.

Here's what I've got so far feature wise.

1st level: Bonus Proficiencies: Expertise in Performance and Acrobatics.

2nd level: Channel Divinity: Moon Lust
Make a melee spell attack against one creature. If you hit, the target makes a Wisdom saving throw. If they fail they stare at the moon or imagine it in their mind and are stunned for 1 minute, repeating the save at the end of their turn.

6th level: Moonblade: If you hit an enemy concentrating on a spell with a melee weapon attack they have disadvantage on the concentration check. Additionally, shapeshifters take an extra 1d8 radiant damage when hit with a melee weapon attack.

8th level: Divine Strike: same as usual, extra radiant damage scaling on hit blah blah.

17th level: The High Hunt: You can use your action to dance between any number of creatures within 15ft of you and make a melee attack against any number of them, using a separate attack roll for each. Needs a short rest to be used again. You do not provoke Opportunity Attacks while dancing between enemies.

It's not very flexible (basically locked into being a melee gish) but I feel it fits the fluff for a follower of Eilistraee.
>>
Prismatic Peak now out, anyone already take a look at it?

https://www.rpgnow.com/product/209712/Mortzengersturm-The-Mad-Manticore-of-the-Prismatic-Peak
>>
>>52753150
This has a simple quick fix

Look at attack actions
Look at the monsters
>Charge for charging
>Tail attacks to cause prone
>Pincers for bear hugs

Apply.
Also, Martials are supposed to get more magic items than casters to do more shit
Play with better DM's
>>
>>52753150
Not that dude and
>not reading the spoiler

Anyway, my fix to the champion is to give them 1d6 they can spend to boost a damage roll, attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. It recovers at the start of each of their turns.

And WotC stole my idea by giving it to the Monster Slayer.
>>
>>52752737
>Tere's a… distressingly high number of fa/tg/uys who think that female PCs should be limited to the Rogue or Caster archetypes only
I find they're often the same kind that are totally okay with Plate armor not turning all slashing damage into less bludgeoning damage, or chain mail being cheaper and lighter than plate. The fact that women in the setting do not adhere to the biology of real life bothers them but all the art of double headed waraxes doesn't is so weird to me.
>>
>>52753150
>do nothing but attack class
>Flawed
That isn't a flaw, its for people that want to do nothing but attack. Some people don't like keeping track of a bunch of things and just prefer the roleplaying aspect of the game.
>>
>>52753121
I'll be blunt, this comes off a lot as "It's okay when we do it, but when SJWs do it it's shit", similar to the whole Indie Developer spat where it was lolcooledgy to make games that took jabs at anti-Gators but it was shameless selling out to take jabs at Gators (or the other way around, flip the examples and which was being bitched at at your leisure).

Warhammer Fantasy's Nehekharan pantheon quite thoroughly ripped off the real-world Egyptian pantheon to the point of often having the same animal be representative of the same divine (ex: Djaf = Death Jackal, Anubis = Death Jackal; Basth & Bastet), yet few people batted an eye at that. As said a lot of D&D's pantheon was quite literally ripped from our world canonically (without even the names or serial numbers filed off) and just plugged in going "Have fun!" with several more blatantly inspired by other gods. Zelda, Morrowind's Tribunal, and so-on all heavily rip from the Trimurti for their trio of divines and how they're represented / what each individual divine does.
>>
>>52753238
Those people can do nothing but attack and ignore extra abilities then. I'll never understand why WotC caters to literally the dumbest players in the world in its design for 5e.
>>
How would you play a chronomancer-type wizard without homebrew?
>>
>>52753283
Cast nothing but haste and slow
>>
>>52753283
>play a class based around manipulating time without homebrew

Refluff Divination wizard and every spell. Your fireball isn't a fireball. Instead you're summoning fire from when the sun grows past the earth's orbit, transplanting that fire very briefly into this instant instead of the far future.

refluffing is ultimately unsatisfactory and dumb though. Get some good homebrew.
>>
File: sr2-68.jpg (25KB, 614x460px) Image search: [Google]
sr2-68.jpg
25KB, 614x460px
>>52753283
Diviner, preferably with either the Lucky feat or (1 or 6) levels of Wild Mage. Portents and Lucky / Wild Mage stuff fluffed as relating to minor manipulation of the time stream.

Focus on damage types like Force or Radiant / Necrotic or the like, fluffed as things such as rapid aging or rejuvenation or whatnot. Take utility spells such as Blur and Mirror Image and Haste and whatnot that you can readily reskin with a time streamer flair.
>>
>>52753121
You know, I once did an informal poll here on /5eg/ and I found that people would rather have IRL deities in their setting than new ones, since most people think that invented deities just become cheap knockoffs. I totally agree with that stance, and there's a reason I have IRL deities in my setting for the most part rather than new ones. I'd rather have a player who worships Thor than Kord.
>>
I'm playing a moon druid in a desert setting. What are some fun beast shapes that could fit that desert theme? So far I'm using giant spider, giant hyena, and deinonychus (the setting also has dinos).
>>
>>52753265
Its good when its good.

I subjectively judge what is good and I'll complain about things based on that subjectivity because that's all I can do.

The other issue is imposition, which is a huge part I take issue with that I neglected to mention. Like the other anon said, it can be palatable in portions, but the more you add the more rustling it gets. You get a similar and appropriate reaction for people trolling poorly; disdain and mockery until they change their heathen ways.
>>
>>52753429
Giant scorpion, when you can.
>>
>>52753429
Giant scarab beetle, camel, vulture
>>
>>52753283
Diviner Halfling Wizard with the lucky Feat.
Luck is refluffed into time hick ups.
Hold person and hold monster spells are time freezes as is Slow Haste and Feather Fall
>>
>>52752336
You also forgot to mentioned that she is a Lawful Good diety who promote compassion but she is totally fine with slavery and aggressive military invasion when it did by her follower. Pretty much what her LE counterpart did. But the only difference is that she is "good" because Paizo need a strong woman who need no man.
>>
>>52753429
don't forget the small creatures too. Snakes and bats are always fun for flavor.
>>
>>52751770
Probably not overpowered, needs proper wording for champion using superiority dice. Is it when they use a maneuver, or they can just choose to use a superiority dice just for the sake of possibly making it a crit.
>>
File: 1456197877999.png (201KB, 486x328px) Image search: [Google]
1456197877999.png
201KB, 486x328px
Why arent battlemaster manuevers a core part of being a fighter? Arent you meant to be a martial master?
>>
>>52753266
When I started playing I played a champion fighter, I didn't know what the fuck maneuvers were and I just wanted to play.

It's good cause there is no other class like it that teaches the simplicities. We have a champion fighter in one of our games cause he is brand new to table top. He will learn and grow but in the meantime he is critting on 19s and feels good.

Plus it takes literally no time to make a champion sheet. Make a level 10 champion fighter? No big deal like 5 minutes. Level 10 wizard? Give me an hour and I'll have only most of it done
>>
>>52753753
It's a mystery that WotC has yet to explain or justify to my knowledge.
>>
So whenever someone asks for Sorcerer spell advice, I have to ask "What's your Meta? What's your Origin?" like they're some kind of comic book superhero. So we need to give some superhero names to different types of sorcerers. Thoughts?

>>52747112
>>52747141
I like the words the book uses in this case. It's a forceful gesticulation or an intricate set of gestures. So it's Naruto gang-signs, a secret handshake, or flipping someone off, depending on the spell. Counterspell is definitely that last one.

>>52749239
Fey or not, there's still room for the common possibly magical realm, but common 'enchanting' sorceress/sorcerer archetype.

>>52747055
Best girl won and everyone knows it
>>
How do I do a dwarf rogue /5eg/?
>>
>>52753800
Pick a dwarf and choose the Rogue class.
>>
>>52753753
Second Wind and Action Surge is more than enough. More ASIs for feats is great too.

Maneuvers are for REAL martial prowess, not aiming for headshots 24/7 and magic.
>>
>>52753815
How do I do it *well
>>
>>52753753
They were in the playtest, but grogs from giantitp complained really, really hard.
>>
>>52753825
Don't do it. Do a shadow monk instead, and remember that handaxes are monk weapons.
>>
>>52753753
They used to be, but people like >>52753767 complained that they couldn't just play the class simply. So wizards created a containment class for them called champion fighter. it isn't good design.
>>
>>52753800
Roll stats, or don't sneak attack.
>>
File: 1486668861989.gif (407KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486668861989.gif
407KB, 250x250px
>>52753796
>Best girl won and everyone knows it

Looking at what he is referring to I think you should neck yourself
>>
>>52753829
>giantitp
Truly the greatest crime that asshole Burlew ever committed was giving 3aboos a place from which to base themselves as they cling to their system which is a min/maxer's wet dream.
>>
How tall is your character?
>>
>>52753872
4' 3''
>>
>>52753872
Current 5'7"

Next one roughly 7'6"
>>
>>52753872
6'1

Its not like height matters at all so i might as well go with my actual height
>>
>>52753850
>He doesn't multiclass some levels into rogue

It's pretty fucking fun if you ask me
>>
We're not getting UA are we.
>>
>>52753872
Around 3'8"
>>
File: a fucking joke.png (303KB, 1555x728px) Image search: [Google]
a fucking joke.png
303KB, 1555x728px
Why is Land's Stride such a shitty feature and why is it single-handedly putting Land Druid nose first into the shit tier?

If instead of this crap, we got any other lv6 subclass feature, the subclass would be decent.
- Lore Bards' Magical Secret. Would even make some sense
- Extra Attack. With Shillelagh? Why not.
- Barbarians' Aspect of the Beast. Hell yeah.
- Nature Cleric's Dampen Elements. Yes please.
- Transmuter's Stone. Even that would be better.

Land's Stride is a fucking catastrophe.
>>
>>52753911
Don't worry they rush out some half assed bullshit that'll probably be for magic users again here soon.

Or they'll rush out some half assed bullshit that does nothing to help martials here soon.
>>
>>52753910
Monk weapons are not finese weapons, anon. You can't sneak attack with unarmed strike, a quarterstaff or a handaxe. Which is a crime.
>>
Does anybody actually play tabaxi seriously? I'd assume it's mostly furries and weeaboos
>>
File: height.png (33KB, 395x582px) Image search: [Google]
height.png
33KB, 395x582px
>>52753872

Let's see.

http://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Sizes/compsizes.xhtml
http://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Sizes/compsizes.xhtml
>>
>>52753943
My DM does it differently because I already the argument that that is exactly what a Monk does with those. Hit specific points to do the most damage with as little force as possible.

Although that takes a house ruling so it works when you can make a decent case for it.
>>
>>52753968

Small Dom / Large Sub is best.
>>
>>52753931
It only sucks if you don't consider a tree to be a nonmagical plant that slows your movement.

I'd let a land Druid be able to walk through trees. They can't stop in them, but they can move though them.
>>
>>52753943
A finesse weapon is a weapon that has the option dexterity instead of strength

Monk class gives you the option to use dexterity over strength on some weapons

Therefore monk weapons are considered Finesse
>>
>>52753872
5' 3' necromancer chick
4' 3" dorf monk
5' 5" elf ranger though I never bring it up as I prefer tall elves but D&D likes 'em short, as far as story's concerned he's anywhere from 5' to just shy of the fighter's 5' 11"
>>52753997
My nigga
>>
>>52754008
what the fuck

even with that contrived mess of a reasoning, it's still shit

you can walk through trees

now what
>>
File: 5'3-4'3-5'5.png (46KB, 594x584px) Image search: [Google]
5'3-4'3-5'5.png
46KB, 594x584px
>>52754032
>>
>>52754085
What if you are not circle of the Forest?
>>
>>
>>52754029
If martial arts allowed you to treat weapons that aren't finesse as finesse weapons, it would say so.
You can't just say "this mechanic has identical wording, therefore it has the same name".
>>
what's a good fun class to try out? preferably in UA and preferably with a decent amount of short-rest stuff because our DM rarely hands out long rests.

the party so far is level 3 barb, bard, warlock, i don't want to play a pure martial.
i am not looking something to powergame with, but the DM basically almost killed the party 3 times in 2 sessions.

so far looking at the mystic but i have no idea what powers would be fun or good.
>>
>>52754106
That mountain circle can walk through stone, arctic can walk through ice, coast can walk on water etc :^)
>>
>>52754138
paladin, play a paladin
>>
>>52754117
[snerk] True as shit though, at least as far as my imagination is concerned.
>>
Does touhoufag play 5e? I think he infiltrated my friends game.
>>
File: 1353435158812.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1353435158812.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
>>52754155
>DM rarely hands out long rests
>play a paladin
>>
>>52753872
6' 2" hobgoblin wizard
>>
>>52753872
Stop trying to bait out the manlets
>>
>>52754085
Now as long as you have 35 walking speed you literally can outrun everything in a forest. Dash action gone, they have to weave through trees and such to get to you.

In my games I have difficult terrain like bushes and such all the time so it means they would have a constant escape route.

And to confirm that it's RAI:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/18/do-awakened-trees-or-treants-count-as-trees-for-a-dryads-tree-stride-ability/

>"Tree Stride is meant to work with trees that aren't plant creatures. That said, a DM could rule otherwise and break nothing. #DnD"

>meant to work with trees
>>
>>52754117
I schedule my physicals early in the morning so I can stay 6'0", none of this 5'11" 15/16 bullshit.
>>
>>52753872
6'1

Cause i play my self as a Human male fighter with brown hair and his trusty spear.
>>
>>52754230
/fit/ stop trying to trigger manlets
>>
File: 1489306932231.png (203KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
1489306932231.png
203KB, 500x471px
>>52754261
>tfw i know someone exactly like this
>every single game its a human fighter
>they use the same character for every campaign they join, human fighter
>but its ALWAYS a girl, usually a teenage one with poor social skills.

Really activates my almonds
>>
>>52754305
I thought D&D was supposed to distract you from reality? Why play your shitty autistic self?
>>
>>52754334
For me personally it lets me channel my narcissism in a constructive and healthy manner
>>
File: 1377704271144.jpg (16KB, 700x359px) Image search: [Google]
1377704271144.jpg
16KB, 700x359px
Please be patient with me, it's been a while.

Did Amaunator become a thing in 5e, or was he always a thing in the previous editions? Back when I played 3.5e I wanted to play a Sun Knight or something just as grossly incandescent, but the only god I could find that meshed was Lathander.
>>
New UA when?
>>
>>52753829
>>52753861
How would someone get around re-implementing them to all archetypes?
>>
>>52754162
This is 4chan, an anonymous message board. If you want to discuss your redditor problems, I suggest you fuck off to discord with the rest of the namefags.
>>
>>52754305
For the longest while all I'd ever play was a dwarf cleric of light with negative charisma.
>>
>>52754373
This
>>
>>52754138
Fighters, Monks, and Warlocks commonly operate on Short Rests. Multing lock and anything Cha-based also works (especially Paladin and Sorcerer).
>>
>>52754353
Ah I do a similar thing with racism through my dwarf
>>
>>52754390
i planned to do warlock before our sorcerer got killed and the guy rerolled a warlock. we don't have a no-duplicate rule but it's not fun for the group to be the same character as your friend.
i generally hate martials ;_;
>>
>>52754355
Amaunator was an old god in previous editions. He was a previous incarnation of Lathander, who returned during the spellplague.
>>
>>52754425
Wizards and Druids both can get spells back once on a short rest. Just pick spells that flat out solve problems and save them for when you need them snot could use them.

Bards have Bardic Inspiration on short rest after 5, and can heal the party quite a bit on short rests. If your DM inforces the "half hit back on long rest." You could go inspiring leader bars for full HP short rests
>>
>>52754425
Play ranged arcane trickster.
>>
File: 1487658188953.jpg (63KB, 817x857px) Image search: [Google]
1487658188953.jpg
63KB, 817x857px
>in DnD 5E paladins are more rest dependant than full casters
>>
>>52754541
What are you talking about, until level 10 you are basically a better fighter. And nothing after level 10 matters, really.
>>
>>52754541
It's true, though. They both need spell slots to fully function, and paladins get fewer spell slots and burn through them more quickly.
>>
>>52753872
6'2"
I gave an inch to my real height and called it a day.
Then I realised that it's pretty tall for a half-elf.
>>
>>52754425
just a two level dip would suffice for lock which gets you short rest spell slots. Then you could be a regular Paladin with some short rest smites, or a regular Sorcerer with short rest sorcery points.

After that, Druid also gets Wildshape back on short rests, and the spell-less Ranger variant gets nifty things on largely short rests iirc.
>>
>>52754541
I disagree, a paladin still swings a great sword around with nothing. That can break 20 damage a swing with good rolls.

Casters running on just cantrips makes me cry
>>
File: 1455901586961.jpg (39KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
1455901586961.jpg
39KB, 374x347px
>>52754618
>paladin
>greatsword

>not a polearm
>not a shield
>not dual wielding

>greatsword
>>
So are power gaps more like 1-2 tier differences now?
>>
>>52754647
PAM needs to go to the trash with the lucky feat
>>
>>52754679
Yeah pretty much
>>
>>52754647

>Dual wielding Paladin

Go Shield Master Sword and Board or go home
>>
>>52751312
Found the source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/65rus4/oc_commissioned_my_cleric_she_looks_fantastic/
>>
>>52754679
Just about every class/archetype, by 3.pf standards, are tier 3 or 4. Only one or two drop into 5 and mystic may have enough options to push into 2.
>>
>>52754367
see my work on this: >>52751770
>>
>>52754706
Without using a quarterstaff dual wielding is the objectively superior way to build a paladin.

That being said, every paladin should use a shield so just take the fucking quarterstaff
>>
>>52754679
There are three tiers.

1. Mystic

2. Bard, Cleric, Druid, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

3. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger.
>>
File: newUA.png (560KB, 921x539px) Image search: [Google]
newUA.png
560KB, 921x539px
NEW UA
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/prestige-classes-revisited
>>
File: Wrong.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>52754763
>2. Rogue, warlock
>>
>>52754797
>pretige
>>
>>52754763

1. Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, Warlock, Wizard
2. Barbarian, Druid, Monk, Ranger, Sorcerer
>>
>>52753872
>3'0 "kobold" death cleric
>4'6 dwarven abjurer
>5'4 tiefling devotion paladin
>5'11 human thief
>7'0 minotaur war cleric
>7'6 dragonborn sorceress
>>
>>52754763
You remembered mystic but not artificer.
>>
>>52754877
Eh, it's bottom tier.
>>
Is PST:EE any good?
>>
>>52754490

So, who's the current Sun God in 5e?
>>
>>52754927
Amaunator.
>>
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

Eeeeh
>>
>>52754950
It's real
>>
>>52754975

Yeah, I know, I posted it.
>>
>>52753872
3'0"
>>52753951
Most of the time, I hear them being played as lolsorandomxd speedsters. Perhaps I am lucky, for I have not yet seen a true furry or weeaboo play one. I know that I'd play one if I could just refluff them as catgirls. Otherwise, it's too furry.
>>52754797
>It doesn't show up
WotC, I...
>>
>>52754950
>Brawny
I'll take it. Time to grapple dragons.
>>
>>52754950
>>52754975
Reading through these, all of the "as a bonus action" type deals seem like things you should just be able to do if you're proficient.
>>
>>52754950
Can you post the pdf?
>>
>>52754938

Awesome, thanks!
>>
File: 1468257336002.jpg (31KB, 250x286px) Image search: [Google]
1468257336002.jpg
31KB, 250x286px
>>52754950
>shit literally no one will use ever
>>
File: 13928385723.jpg (25KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
13928385723.jpg
25KB, 672x372px
>when you tpk your party
>>
>>52754950
>Menacing Archer
Anyone else find anything interesting?
>>
>>52755006
That's not what it does.
>>
Hey /5eg/, what are your favorite custom rules? I know one of the strengths of 5e is how easy it is to modify, and I'm looking to bring in some of them since vanilla is pretty bland on its own. I really liked the improved crit I read around here (crits deal full damage dice + a roll rather than 2x dice roll to ensure crits actually deal damage) and i'd like more of those little bits.
>>
>>52755130
The only factors in grappling are your Athletics checks and your carrying capacity for force move. Size doesn't matter in 5e except to determine that since the automatic break out rule doesn't actually exist.
>>
>>52754997
catgirls would likely be half tabaxi
>>
>>52754950
I'm whelmed.
>>
>>52754950
Eh, guess I'll find a use for some of those
>>
>>52754950
I like it honestly, both the idea and implementation.
>>
>>52755006
>I am a lucha!

Wish I had that cap
>>
>>52754950
I'm glad they have this, +1s to stats were hard to get, this will help a lot.
>>
>>52755173
>The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach.
Sorry buddy.
>>
>>52755173
Wrong. There are size limits for grappling.
>>
>>52755146
more of a subclass fix than anything, but I like Wot4E Monks getting Wis mod additional Ki points. Helps them in the early levels when they struggle the most.
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>52755041
>>
File: does nobody re-read this shit.png (11KB, 240x116px) Image search: [Google]
does nobody re-read this shit.png
11KB, 240x116px
fucking wotc
>>
Is there a good way to make a STR-based archer?

Sort of like something inspired by Hawkeye Gough from Dark Souls, using a greatbow?
>>
>>52755227
yeah, these make variant human quite a lot better. now you can chose where to put your +1s to get better skill selection and/or free expertise.
>>
>>52755303
Kensai technically works, but that was apparently unintentional. Also it kinda sucks anyway.
>>
>>52755146
I used those exact crit rules, and I agree they are great. Most of my houserules are just limitations (like banning the help action on most skill checks), though one you might enjoy is stacking advantage/disadvantage, where one can have multiple instances of advantage/disadvantage. Another one is "midvantage," where you don't cancel out advantage/disadvantage, but rather take the middle number (i.e., a blinded target fighting another blinded target has both advantage and disadvantage, so it rolls 3d20 and takes the middle roll).
>>52755174
Good point. Maybe it could be like a refluffed half-elf, with some tabaxi features replacing the elf features. Convincing the DM is another story though.
>>
>>52755343
If it's not a serious campaign is probably allow it but I'm the one who can up with the idea. Convincing the DM would be hilarious though
>>
Arcanist
Naturalist
Theologian

Oh shit all the players that feel like Martials need to be muggles are going to be pissed
>>
>>52755420
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

This UA is frustrating. It's basically handing out expertise like candy, which is not what you want to do with a bounded accuracy system. But on the other hand, it's also adding a lot of neat options.

I'm going to fix it.
>>
I asked this late in the last thread and got some good responses, so I'll ask again:

Would you rather have a Fighter with Sneak Attack progression or a Rogue with Battle master Maneuvers?
>>
>>52755455
>>52754950
Can you post the pdf in here? I am at work and I cant enter in WotC website from here.
>>
>>52755475
I would rather have you not post your shitty homebrew.
>>
>>52755475
Fighter with sneak attack all the way
>>
File: UA-SkillFeats[1].pdf (69KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA-SkillFeats[1].pdf
69KB, 1x1px
>>52755502
>your work won't let you browse WotC, but it will let you browse 4chan

Weird.

>>52755507
Fuck off, 5e is meant to be homebrewed.

>>52755475
Rogue with battlemaster maneuvers.
>>
>>52755541
No Edition was meant to be home brewed what are you talking about faggot
>>
>>52755475
Rogue with maneuvers.
>>
>>52755541
Yeah, I also find it pretty weird. Also thanks for the pdf!
>>
>>52755563
3.5 was, since it was under the OGL.
5e has an entire official infrastructure for posting homebrews in the DMSguild.
>>
>>52755589
Just because it's encouraged doesn't mean it was made to be
>>
>>52755310
Is there a homebrew-y way already that could be used?

Or could I maybe stat up a greatbow?
>d10? d12?
>200/400 range?
>use str instead of dex for attack bonus/dmg
>cannot fire and move same turn
>>
>>52755475
They both sound pretty shit.
A Sneak Attack style progression on a Champion might make it more interesting and keeps it simple enough.
Maneuvers on a rogue that doesn't have sneak attack is just a really frail low level Battlemaster without enough attacks
>>
>>52755616
Who said anything about depriving them of one if they got the other?
>>
>>52755614
>wizards makes money off of every DMSguild purchase
>nonono, this edition isn't meant to make money with homebrew

You are a grognard.
>>
>>52755640
>You are a grognard
But grogs love homebrew, see the OSR
>>
>>52755640
I make money of blowing people in the alley way doesn't mean I like it
>>
>>52753266
It's better to make a class deaigned around not having those abilities to not use, like the rogue. Fighter/champion is already easing into short rests with second wind and action surge. Champion just needs a minor early buff.
>>
>>52755667
It does mean you were made to do it though.
>>
>>52755667
It does mean your pimp set you up to do that on purpose.
>>
>>52755694
No I'm short on money and doing by my own free will
>>
>>52755670
No, it's better to make a mechanically interesting class, because people who dislike things being mechanically interesting can always choose to ignore the mechanically interesting things about it.
>>
>>52754950
Access to Expertise outside of level dips is really great. These work pretty well as a free feat at level 1 imo.
>>
>>52755729
What happens when you have both one of these feats and expertise
>>
>>52755747
Skill multipliers don't stack. You just double it once.
>>
>>52755303
>>52755615
I've been wanting to make an archetype that uses the Artificer's Thundercannon as inspiration, but I haven't ever gotten past that stage. Considering one of the limitations I would want to keep is the bonus-action reload (along with scaling damage, so its single action focused) I figure Fighter might not be the best class to add it to. My current thoughts are Barbarian or Ranger, followed by Monk.
>>
>>52755455
Half-feats to get expertise in something you already have proficiency in is fine.
Rogue gets it at level one and six. Not bad for dips/multiclass at all.
Cleric knowledge gets it at level one and it's great for dips.
Bard gets it and they're a fucking full caster.

The problem is the additional benefits are too insignificant and in the realms of 'stuff you could have done with a skill check anyway'.
>>
>>52753829
I think the biggest problem with playtest martial dice is that you got one attack and multiple dice. They were build your own 4e at-will, but something where you still get more attacks and less dice would probably go over well.
>>
>>52755754
But this is a feat not expertise twice. I don't see why it wouldn't be proficiency times 3
>>
>>52753872
5 feet in boots.
>>
>>52755816
>I don't see why it wouldn't be proficiency times 3
Because the PHB clearly states you never do more than double it.
>>
>>52753864
>what he is referring to
No one is referring to anything. I'm just trying to set off fanboys.

Seriously have no idea what anyone is talking about
>>
>>52755835
This is a UA that isn't based in the PHB at all
>>
File: PHG173-174.png (551KB, 699x366px) Image search: [Google]
PHG173-174.png
551KB, 699x366px
So just to confirm something: The only reason rage doesn't work with dex based attacks is because then there would be no reason to every play a strength barb right?

>>52755816
>>
>>52755863
>if its not printed with the material the rules no longer apply
alright
>>
>>52755863
Christ this is a fucking retarded comment. Everything is based on the PHB. Its the PHB, the very core of the game.
>>
>>52755863
Are you being retarded on purpose?
>>
>>52755455

Expertise and these expertise lite feats should probably be changed from a double your proficiency to a flat +2 but otherwise I really don't mind these feats.
>>
File: 1456339067707.jpg (99KB, 723x691px) Image search: [Google]
1456339067707.jpg
99KB, 723x691px
>>52755863
>>
>>52755634
Ah I see. I see how rogues with maneuvers is abuseable then. I would still think Fighter with Sneak Attack is good, makes their spike rival Palladin
>>
What are some of THE must-modify rules in your opinion?
>>
>>52755870
Yeah pretty much. They pretty clearly made the class then went "Oh shit, the guys known for being strong and using two handed weapons are better of not doing either. Shit, staple a clause on so that they do."
>>
>DM with friends online
>want to play in person, at TGS
>new game with cool people
>everyone is chill, lots of laughs etc
>worst DM I've ever seen or read about
>no descriptions of anything setting, character, or combat
>S class railroading

How do I politely and firmly tell him I don't want to play anymore without making him feel bad?
>>
>>52755905
Short Rest duration needs to be shortened to 5 to 10 minutes.

>>52755925
Thematically, a dex based barb could be cool. I would think of it as a whirldwind of blades. But it just doesn't seem to balance out.
>>
>>52755933
>Hey man I'm just not feeling the campaign so I'm gonna opt out, good luck.
>>
>Brawny
>Uh oh guys, we already named a feat Athlete....
>>
>Investigation feat lets you take the perception skill action as a bonus action.
Wait, what?
>>
>>52755905
Feats are not optional. You should always have feats, unless EVERYONE is new and you don't plan a long-term campaign.

If you must roll for stats (faggot) you should roll your stats before choosing your class.

Weapon feats should be removed and a system that gives everybody access to parts of feats on weapons should be implemented in a fair manner.

Various spell changes, mostly nerfs to blatant high level spell abuse and a couple of other ones such as witch bolt's damage only requiring a bonus action to use.

Moon druid needs to be changed so they aren't an onion druid.

Athletics should no longer be used for grapples but a seperate grappling modifier. Stealth and perception should be removed, but passive perception

Combat skills should be removed and replaced with a fairer system that doesn't require you to plug proficiencies in (Passive perception, athletics, stealth). Athletics is still used for non-grapples and perception can be merged with investigation.

Obvious fixes such as no abuse of improvised weapon rules for no netfighting.

Familiars should not automatically obey everything, and thus aren't 100% reliable combat help bots.

If you want a game where characters die, vitality/fighting spirit should replace death saves.

Multiclassing for armour should work more gradually, not no armour -> HA+Shields with one level dip.

If all of one side surprises all of the other, a pre-combat round occurs with no initiative with the side going in any order first.
>>
>>52755905
Crafting limit needs to be adjusted. It shouldn't take 3 days to make a basic healing potion once you get to higher levels.

I think my personal houserule is that you can spend 50-100 gp per day, depending upon what you want to craft and if you make the DC check involved in crafting said item (Medicine for potions, Arcana for most everything else).
>>
>>52756042
Search action is investigation or perception.
>>
>>52756042
You can take the SEARCH action as a bonus action.
>>
File: PHB192.png (68KB, 287x102px) Image search: [Google]
PHB192.png
68KB, 287x102px
>>52756042
>>
>>52756075
>Multiclassing for armour should work more gradually, not no armour -> HA+Shields with one level dip.
Well, no classes gives Heavy armour prof from a dip except Clerics and that is still debatable as to if its intended.
>>
Are there rules for throwing objects?
>>
>>52755905
My go-to houserules are always:

-Short rests take 10 minutes instead of an hour.

-You can add your damage modifier to offhand attacks without any feat/trait.

Everything else I just roll with.
>>
>>52756134
You can very, very easily just start as a fighter and then go wizard instead. You get extra health for doing that too along with perception proficiency, so why don't you?

The idea is that generally games start at level 3 and you build up armour proficiencies. You get light armour + shields if the class has it, then medium armour + heavy armour, so it takes two levels.
>>
>>52756087
>>52756091
>>52756096
In a non-combat situation, being able to use it as a bonus action instead of an action is basically worthless. So if we're talking about combat situations, what situation are you going to use an investigation search? It's much, much more likely you're going to be using the perception search to do something like finding a stealth person.
>>
>>52756169
Last night, one of my players wanted to examine a secret door and try to find the hidden way to open it during combat. He ended up not doing it, because it would have taken his whole action.
>>
File: 1415675498225.jpg (55KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1415675498225.jpg
55KB, 500x501px
looking to homebrew some sort of magic item for my chain pact warlock player. any ideas for what i could give her to buff chain pact a little bit? i was thinking something on the level of rod of the pact keeper, but a bit more relevant.

im thinking:
-ability to cast find familiar at will, without material components
- one other minor buff that allows her to interact with her familiar more. possibly just granting the voice of the chain master invocation (since she didnt take it)
>>
>>52756138
Look above the weapons table in the PHB for improvised weapon rules.

>>52756145
Giving everyone extra damage on offhand attacks doesn't buff two weapon fighting on people who are already shit at it
It just buffs melee rogues and barbarogues and pretty much all martials between levels 1-4 but not beyond level 4 and makes the monks feel silly for having +dex on their bonus attacks.

If you hate crossbow expert being better than two weapon fighting on a lot of rogues, just remove crossbow expert getting +dex on its bonus attack.
>>
>>52756154
Starting as a fighter is meant to imply you have spent several years already training for such.
>>
>>52756193
The Chains that Bind. While your familiar is wearing these magical chains, you may cast any spell through it, as if it was the caster.
>>
>>52756188
I understand that there exist situations in which it would apply and be helpful. I'm merely emphasizing that search in combat is used much more often to do a perception search.
>>
>>52756193
Considering find familiar's cast time, the first ability is mostly just a fluff benefit that saves ~20% of the cast time and doesn't cost them 10gp every time their familiar dies, and they shouldn't be letting their familiar die all the time because that suggests they're seriously abusing their familiar.

>>52756213
Then take three levels in it to start with instead of just one if you want to be that sort of fighter rathert than someone who just dabbled in it?

I'm personally for making humans at peak health and age generally around level 3-ish (But without abilities unless they trained all that, and obviously a guard might be a bit tougher). Rather than having a random bandit be 10x as tough as a commoner. That would then mean that in such a setting having only one level of fighter means you haven't really fully completed training.
>>
>pick up an enemy
>throw him at a target 20 feet away

What rules apply? Shoving rules, or Improvised Object throwing rules?
>>
>>52756256
I think you are putting the difficulty on the wrong thing. If you hate 1 level fighter starts you should be making it hard for a guy who spent his adult life learning to be fighter to suddenly pick up magic not tack on some weird rules about learning to wear armour.
>>
>>52756225
i like this. would this be too overpowered for level 5? how about if it also included voice of the chain master, since it is a 'magical bond' sort of item. i think both of these abilities are just utility, so i cant immediately seeing it be too much of a problem
>>
>>52756276
Providing you have the suitable strength, it would likely be replacing one of your attacks with a grapple and then on a successful grapple making an attack as per improvised object throwing rules.

If you have extra attack, you could throw someone in one turn if you're lucky and have suitable strength and the hands free for it.
>>
>>52756302
If he spent his adult life learning to be a fighter, he takes two levels. Otherwise it's maybe more of a dabbling.
That's just how it is, because I'm not one for level 1-2 'training wheel' starts when characters are only truly defined once they get to about level 3 I'm not saying that the rules say that a normal human starts at level 3, but at least it's kind of implied that level 1 and 2 aren't awfully significant.
>>
>>52755011
Some of them, but not all of them. The performance one isn't a bonus action and still feels that way.
>>
>>52756321
Would the range limit be the range limit in throwing an improvised object, or the range limit in a shove attack?
>>
>>52755343
>i.e., a blinded target fighting another blinded target has both advantage and disadvantage, so it rolls 3d20 and takes the middle roll
Add Lucky for those one in a million shots.
>>
>>52756365
>>52756302
Oh, I think more of the point-
There is really no reason whatsoever to start wizard instead of fighter if you are getting levels in both wizard and fighter. Really, if you start at level 3, what your first level is shouldn't really dictate what you did for the first part of your life.

>>52756425
Depends on DM, but a reasonable DM would do it based on your strength. If you're a 20 strength goliath bear barbarian who's raging and you're picking up a gnome, you could definitely throw that fuck 20ft.
>>
>>52756435
>Depends on DM, but a reasonable DM would do it based on your strength. If you're a 20 strength goliath bear barbarian who's raging and you're picking up a gnome, you could definitely throw that fuck 20ft.

What are the appropriate ways to determine throwing range based on strength?
>>
>>52751137
>>52751167
What's wrong with it? Is there an edition you think is better?
>>
>>52756441
Really, it won't come up often enough (probably) to give definite rules and monsters don't have definite weights given all the time.

So situational on the DM, but something logical can be done and the DM might grant a slight disadvantage if it's a fringe case or reduce your range or whatever.
>>
>>52756365
I feel like if you are this against the concept, just ban multiclassing or dip multiclassing. If you are going to suck the advantages away from an option to the point no one will take it why bother with the farce of it all and just say no.
>>
>>52755726
Like playing a rogue and not using sneak attack? That doesn't work. That's just saying those people shouldn't play your game.
>>
>19 passive perception
>everyone roll perception
>nat1
>everyone but slate sees the guard walk up

Why does this make me so furious?
>>
>>52756490
Because unless you were actively searching, it's supposed to use your passive perception. Also there's no such thing as critical fails on ability checks. DM is literally homeruling to screw you over.
>>
>>52756490
If you have 20 PP, do you automatically see most hidden traps and secret doors by walking into a room?
>>
>>52755893
I think the point is for expertise to allow good totals without 20 in the associated ability. The amazing total when you have all three is an acceptable side effect, and sometimes also desired, like in dragon sorcs.
>>
>>52755925
They did that shit with the rogue too pretty much with limiting Sneak Attack to finesse weapons.
>>
>>52756463
It's balanced around doing a lot of repetitive, uninteresting tasks over and over again in combat. The class design has a ton of potential to be great, but it just isn't right now.
>>
Whats the point of a dagger?
>>
>>52756471
It's keeping the advantages reasonable.

A wizard should not be able to take a single level of cleric and go from piss-poor AC (13 or 16 with mage armour assuming 15 starting dex) to some of the best AC there is (20 AC using plate armour or 21 AC with defense) with just a single level dip. They can go ahead and take a two level dip. It's not as if they don't still get class features - Fighter gives them action surge, fighting style and second wind. They also start with str and con saves, which is more useful for a wizard than wis and cha.

Cleric gives a channel divinity and domain level 1 feature along with the cleric spells as well as keeping cleric spell progession.

You can still take one level and go from 10+DEX to 14+DEX with no problems other than having slightly more weight to carry, and I think one level for +4 AC is reasonable, although mage armour is still a thing. But if magic armour/shields comes into play, it's better to have the proficiencies.

It's not going to kill them to take two levels instead of 1. They can still get armour by being a dwarf or through feats. They could take a level dip and pick up moderately armoured for +1 dex and shields and moderately armoured. Or whatever.

It's not killing all reasonable use of a level dip.
>>
>>52756570
The end you don't hold.
>>
>>52756569
Which edition isn't like that?
>>
>>52756570

Can you slit a throat with a dagger more effectively than with a longsword?
>>
>>52756570
It's more easily concealable. So you can sneak one in to a place where your shortswords would be confiscated.
>>
>>52756569
I feel the problem here is that it assumes you go into combat 6 or 8 times every day, that helps make it more repetitive on top of the fact that this never actually happens.

When this doesn't happen and combats are developed properly, it's a lot less repetitive because you're using the situation rather than just walking up and attacking all the time. Combat should be presented as a slight puzzle instead of just 'You've encountered a wild pokemon in the grass.'

So, yes, it requires the DM to be more competent than something like 4e but leaves more room to improvize shit, in theory.
>>
>>52756592
There are no coup de grace in 5e. Dagger does not give any stealth/sneak attack bonuses, so it does not matter.
>>
>>52756490
>Roll a 1 with reliable talent and +15 in the skill
>DM says I still fail
>>
>>52756570
Two-weapon-fighting at a distance for two chances of sneak attack without a feat.
>>
>>52756583
4e, other games.
>>
>>52756200
what about just making the dual wielder feat give out +mod bonus damage in addition, to make it on par with crossbow expert?
>>
>>52756570
Decent for rogues. You lose a tiny amount of damage for the benefit of being able to throw it when you need to.
>>
>>52756640
Not him but I thought everyone ragged on 4e because it was too mmo-like or something.
>>
>>52756616
This is fair, and I've started running combats more like puzzles myself. But it isn't presented anywhere in the PHB or DMG, so you can hardly fault DMs for not doing it.
>>
>>52756652
But then it still wouldn't be on par with crossbow expert because it uses both of your hands constantly, you have to be within 5ft to make attacks instead of anywhere within 30ft, you can't apply archery if you get a fighting style and.. Okay, I guess you get 1d8 instead of 1d6 for +1 damage per use. But the range is a great thing to have. Works well with a wolf barbarian without GFB/BB and possibly mobile/swashbuckler
I would definitely say giving the dual wielder +mod bonus damage is a good idea, though.

>>52756684
Yeah. Really, 5e seems designed for more sandboxey campaigns, yet has that stupid 'you should be doing 6 encounters every day!' which means classes are seriously imbalanced if you don't do it like that.
>>
Paraphrased from my gm

>you free the slaves and cut their rope bindings, setting them free
>Lord of suffering comes walking with death knights with chains and manacles
>Lord of suffering blasts power and shines brightly, you know you don't stand a chance against him
>the death knights rechain the slaves
>then it is a deal, you escort these slaves as repayment for inconveniencing me
>you can't break the chains, no matter what you do
>the slaves look at you betrayed and helpless
>the deathknights appear behind you and drag you back to the slaves
>really? You are going to attack the slaves?
>stop being a murderhobo that guy
>>
>>52756616

Honestly I don't mind the 6-8 encounter adventuring day.

Incorporate 10 minute short rests and just blitz through the day even if you have to spread an adventuring day over 2 play sessions.

Basically gear most of the Combat/Exploration portions around a 6-10 room mini-dungeon and then let the PCs withdraw to their village/town base and do the social interaction.
>>
>>52756544
You'll automatically see the hints of them. You'll need to investigate to really work it out, but your DM should honestly regardless of your passive perception at least have subtle hints about traps. Passive perceptions should highlight some of those hints better - 'There is a vaguely defined ring of misplaced bricks on that wall.' You wouldn't say 'There is a vaguely defined ring of misplaced bricks on that wall, this is clearly off, it must be a secret door' because that's what investigation is for and the player's thinking.
With low passive perception, it would be 'The brickwork on one of the walls looks misshapen and displaced slightly.'

You might even say 'You see the pressure plate.' but not tell them what the pressure plate does.

The idea is that you should never be hiding a lot of information in the first place, but passive perception doesn't automatically identify what they see.
>>
>>52754950
>skill expertise feats
> +1 to relevant stat
>minor utility feature that makes skills more relevant
Sure, why not.
>>
>>52756169
You would use investigation to look for something that can't be seen by your eyes. Like following an invisible enemy by its tracks.
>>
>>52756720
>Yeah. Really, 5e seems designed for more sandboxey campaigns, yet has that stupid 'you should be doing 6 encounters every day!' which means classes are seriously imbalanced if you don't do it like that.

Single encounters on the road / at night have always been an issue I've run into not just with 5e and you end up with the "wall of force" in every one of these encounters issue so its mostly just lead me down not running encounters that don't have some kind of further adventure hook to them.

Dungeons also still remain fine in 5e, as long as you make their life hell long resting (and continuously remind them that you will be waiting 24 hours not just 8 hours because of how long rests work) you can generally tax them enough to balance out encounters. I also make an effort like >>52756684 does to make encounters into puzzles or just having straight up puzzles with taxing elements.
>>
>>52756807
It's very hard to fit into a normal world. You have to justify why the players keep pressing on with reasons like 'If you don't keep going, the BBEG will slaughter another civilian!' because otherwise they can just rest all the time.
You have to trap them in places they can't rest until they get out, and that sort of thing.

Normally, you don't fight 6 battles in a day. That's completely fantastical and even anime doesn't go that far.
Normaly, if you could choose between pressing on with a greater threat of dying or resting and having a lesser threat of dying, people would choose the lesser threat of dying even if it's boring to sit around for an hour, because resting and being bored is way better than dying.
>>
>>52756781
Stop derailing the DM's precious campaign by doing good things. Accept your new slave life under railroaddom.

>>52756860
Yeah. Dungeons are good, especially if they can't easily just leave the dungeon constantly. In a dungeoncrawling campaign, you can definitely make a reason why they can't leave without some penalty such as having to pay money for passage in through some means.
Planning on doing a dungeoncrawler, but I don't really feel motivated to do on-the-route encounters because it's just 'Burst it down and go nap.'
>>
>>52756858
That would still be perception. Investigation is for stuff you're physically interacting with, for example something like determining what the tracks belong to. And if you're trying to follow the creature by its tracks over a decent distance, I think survival would be more applicable.
>>
File: bornzedargon.png (34KB, 574x714px) Image search: [Google]
bornzedargon.png
34KB, 574x714px
>Brawny
>finally, a way to get Athletics Expertise on grapplers without dipping into Rogue or Bard like a fuckstick
>the special feature improves an optional rule that everyone ignores to begin with
>doesn't really do anything for grappling either
>>
>>52756781
Leave.
>>
>>52756872

6-8 is purely gamist in the way it's designed to help balance the limited resource classes with the unlimited resource classes.

I think it's better to play into the conceits of the game than try to work against them using "well people wouldn't do that in the real world" logic.

Even excluding the hackneyed model of "you have to solve this module or the dog gets it" there are a variety of reasons for pushing forward in an attempt to beat the endboss of a dungeon.

Sometimes the best reason is that it's not always practical to pack in the supplies necessary to comfortably and safely camp in a dungeon and exiting the dungeon after every couple of encounters allows the residents to develop better countermeasures (or even escape with all the good loot).
>>
>>52756932
Well, it can help you actually carry the character you're grappling. And I personally love using the weight variant rule.
>>
>>52756807
Like >>52756872 says its completely unrealistic to be fighting that much every god damn damn of your adventuring career.

My bigger issue with it is 6+ combats a day would lead to days in your game going on for several sessions. Even in my 5 hour game session I can usually only do 2 to 3 combats.
>>
File: 1490165146380.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1490165146380.png
266KB, 665x574px
>>52756781
>play paladin
>take care to nonlethally dispatch bandits
>give them a stern talking too, reason with them as to why the path of righteousness is the better way to live and that their evil ways should have, would have gotten them killed were i any other man.
>Give them ideas on what to do, hand them some gold for a jump start on a new life, give them the offer of being my hireling, trusting that my high charisma and insight proficiency would let me spot any conniving backstabbers
>GM pulls me aside to tell me that im slowing the game down by not just killing the bandits he put there for us to kill
>>
>>52756932
>Performer
>Does something that should already happen
>>
>>52756964
>it can help you actually carry the character you're grappling
You can already drag any creature that's one size larger than you regardless of its weight.
>>
What's the best place to find groups to join to play online? Roll20 forum?
>>
>>52756932
>the special feature improves an optional rule that everyone ignores to begin with
My DM uses the encumbrance rules. I don't use them, but he thinks I do
>>
>>52757001
>spoiler
Good man. Keep up the fight.
>>
>>52756962
I think it's better to justify it. You can't get really into character when your characters really don't appear to give a shit about dying. Risking their lives, sure, they signed up for that and D&D wouldn't move if they were all scared of dying, but doing obviously stupid things to put their life excessively in danger would be a no.

There's a variety of reasons, but when you have to do this for a suitable number of encounters every day or every session they'll get old quickly, and it's impossible to have a fair for the non-burst characters encounter that's actually tense/difficult without them having a reason they can't not rest.
>>
>>52756988
>Quick-fingered
>also does something that should already happen
>>
>>52756987
Is this your GM?
>>52738367
>>
>>52756988
This is the concerning part. It seems like whenever feats touch skills its really just limiting what the skill already can do rather than providing something cool.

>Grappler: I can't try to hold a creature down pinning them without training? What the fuck?
>Observant: I couldn't just read their lips with a perception check?
>Keen Mind: The only thing not retarded about this feat is +1 Int

Stuff like what Actor gets isn't too bad, at least with that I can see the justification for special training to be passable. But this UA just seems either unnecessary or actively making the skills themselves worse.
>>
>>52757031
Its a bonus action. It would normally be an action unless you are a thief with Fast Hands
>>
>>52756997
What? No. Just because the grappling rules don't restate the drag/carry rules doesn't mean you get to pretend they don't exist. If the creature weighs more than 30xyour str then your speed becomes 5 while trying to drag it. Likewise if you try to carry the creature instead it adds to your total carry weight.
>>
>>52756987
Playing a Paladin better than 99% of 5E Paladins
>durr my oath says i can murder people who steal bread and try to fistfight and escape when caught
My group has a fucking prisoner wagon. We've brought at least a hundred niggas to proper justice so far.
>>
Making a lvl 7 character

I want to make an expaladin if I can be neutral.

Basically a character like soldier76, who gave up his life/name and "I don't play by the rules anymore"

He's good, but he would be a lot like a bitter batman

I'm thinking if I can't be an expaladin I'll be a fighter of some kind. Probably battlemaster since my character will be older.
>>
File: uses.png (20KB, 1114x94px) Image search: [Google]
uses.png
20KB, 1114x94px
>>52757060
I fixed the UA, guys.
>>
>>52757147
Someone hire this person!
>>
File: 1449757977506.jpg (148KB, 664x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1449757977506.jpg
148KB, 664x1203px
>"I don't play by the rules anymore"
>>
>>52757147
>skill proficiencies are now replaced with those feats
not a bad idea, although I'd probably cut the stat increases from them or something
>>
>>52757084
man i'm flipping through the MM but there's nothing in these stat blocks describing a creature's weight or height/width/length and average density so weight can be calculated
>>
>>52757143
Just try avoiding edginess and don't completely demolish the part of their personality that originally became a paladin. Some of it should still be in there.

Oathbreaker is OP and buffs undead and fiends, so it's naturally more evil.
Treachery is 'how many ways can you get advantage?' but does work. I don't like its design, but it works.
Vengeance can be refluffed to not have oaths and would work.
>>
>>52755615
Wield a Quarterstaff in your left hand, pretend it is a huge bow.
Wield a Javelin in your right hand, pretend it is a big arrow.
"Shoot" your "Bow".
>>
File: workwithwhatwegot.jpg (80KB, 655x271px) Image search: [Google]
workwithwhatwegot.jpg
80KB, 655x271px
>>52757183
Well, that's a conundrum. We've got this to work with from the phb and volos, but I guess it would be up to the DM to decide how much the other monsters weigh.
>>
File: flyingarrowsolo.webm (3MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
flyingarrowsolo.webm
3MB, 576x304px
>>52757217
You're overthinking this.
>>
File: guskyo.jpg (167KB, 800x860px) Image search: [Google]
guskyo.jpg
167KB, 800x860px
>>52757175
what if i told you this guy has a bajillion weird photos like this and is an insufferable trump supporter despite not living in the US
>>
>>52757310
>that stance!
>>
File: 1441393565778.jpg (380KB, 1536x1243px) Image search: [Google]
1441393565778.jpg
380KB, 1536x1243px
>>52757310
Why does trump have to be brought into every conversation?
>>
>>52757310
Then I would say I don't give a shit because it has nothing to do with discussing 5E so fuck off.
>>
>>52757324
このスタンス!まさか!
>>
File: gusvic.jpg (192KB, 763x1047px) Image search: [Google]
gusvic.jpg
192KB, 763x1047px
>>52757327
because he's a meme and this is 4chan
>>
Planning on playing a mystic, looks fun, should I pick Awakened or am I in for a bad time?
>>
>>52757143
Vegeance Paladin is pretty much edgy "I don't play by the rules" Paladin.

Literally the only rule they follow is "I will fight bad guys, because I'm a gritty badass and somone has to."

They can literally justify almost any action. Known bandit is hiding out in a tavern, the barkeep refuses to let your Paladin enter because you have no proof and he doesn't want you to cause a fight in his tavern.

You, as a legitimate vengeance paladin, can bolt all the exits and throw a keg of oil through the window, trapping every man, woman, child, innocent tavern goer and simple farmer inside with the flames, killing all of them in a horrible painful blaze.

Why? Because you made a vow to hunt down that Bandit no matter the cost and anyone who gets in your way is guilty by default. Justice is served. Laws and Oaths upheld.
>>
>>52757330
>>>/pol/

Im sick of hearing about trump too but you could at least try not to act like a mongoloid from the shittiest board on the site
>>
>>52757367
Awakened is one of the better Mystic archetypes, you'll be just fine as long as you don't pick shit disciplines.
>>
>>52757370
True, but then you also have to pay reparations to the survivors and/or families of the innocents who unfortunately perished in your pursuit of justice.
>>
File: vengeance_paladin.jpg (11KB, 241x325px) Image search: [Google]
vengeance_paladin.jpg
11KB, 241x325px
>>52757370
Lets not pretend this wasn't exactly what WoTC was going for when they made that path.
>>
>>52757367
Awakened have some cool shit. Bonus talents and skills can make you the skillmonkey caster and Psychic Investigation is always useful.

Your choice of disciplines and playstyle is actually more informative of your usefulness to the group than your archetype.

If this were the Take 2 Mystic though you'd be fucked.
>>
>>52757384
the shitposting will continue until the (You)s stop
>>
File: what an asshole.jpg (12KB, 183x255px) Image search: [Google]
what an asshole.jpg
12KB, 183x255px
>>52757384
>criticizing him instead of the guy who brought political bullshit up in the first place
wew
>>
>>52751606
Tell him to get feats.
>>
>>52756435
>you could definitely throw that fuck 20ft.
Well, Improvised Thrown weapons are range 20'/60', aren't they? So 60' with disadvantage. Accept no less. No disadvantage with sharpshooter, too.

>I can kill a goblin, with a goblin, at sixty feet.
>>
>>52757426
>mentioning someone's existence is political
Mark Wahlberg
>>
>>52756544
You will automatically see (and hear) most things when it becomes possible to see and hear those things. What that means is up to your GM, but
>Roll dice
>1
>you didn't see anything
is shitty DMing.
>>
>>52757370
Not really "fuck the rules im a paladin" is only for "the greater threat" a shitty bandit hardly qualifies for that. Not only that but youre expected to make reparations for the damage evil doers bestow upon the common folk. You need to help people just like any other paladin.

>>52757426
One of them constructed a sentence in which political bullshit was only half of that one sentence.

One of them wrote a sentence with ebin ironic mispellings and was entirely political bullshit.

One of these people is vastly more annoying than the other.
>>
>>52757401
Innocents? No innocents, just the bandits fetid and corrupt servants and cohorts.
>>
>>52757401
Not really unless the DM rules that, those people got in the way of justice and are guilty by association. You owe them nothing it's mostly why I hate vengeance paladin because it's all anyone at my table plays.
>>
>>52757310
I need them all. Add them to the pastebin. Print them out on tokens. Face off against hoards of autists
>>
Reminder to do the survey next to this week's UA and tell them how rad the downtime system is.

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/75fccdb56af9
>>
>Silver-Tongued

Fighting with goblin, act retarded.
You get advantage on attacks against him and he can't hit you with opportunity attacks until next round, when you reveal that you were just pretending.
>>
>>52757510
>>52757512
You both fall.
>>
File: 1433562017073.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1433562017073.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>52754950
>Double proficiency
>>
File: guscape.jpg (525KB, 751x778px) Image search: [Google]
guscape.jpg
525KB, 751x778px
>>52757515
I tap three Gears and play Dashing Gentlesir face-up in attack position. All other Victorian autists under my command gain First Strike.
>>
>>52757537
Sure, I'll play le epic maymay man. My group will love it.
>>
File: shrug.gif (281KB, 498x280px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.gif
281KB, 498x280px
>>52757512
>tfw i play vengenace paladin always because its pretty blatantly the best oath

>tfw i play them almost identically as a oath of devotion and i dont think anyones said anything in all the games ive done this in.
>>
>>52757499
I'm glad you agree that the person who originally introduced politics for no reason is more annoying than the person mocking him.
>>
>>52756256
>age having anything to do with levels
how about no
>>
new to 5e and unsure what to roll:

we have a dumbass playing apaladin, a at some point, lore bard, a weeb rogue.

i was thinking trickery cleric but our dm is a fag and doesn't "see why a cleric would want stealth or weapons or insert anything but healslutting" so is there a fun spec that feels unique but meshes with our group?

is there a use for div wiz?
>>
>>52756720
I'm going to pimp my "Dual Weapon Fighting Style" until it catches on or someone comes up with something better. The short version is "add 1d6 damage to your main-hand hits when you're TWFing."
>>
File: swan vase.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
swan vase.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
im going to a new game tomorrow and I've had 0 contact with the dm. is it safe to make a bard under the assumption that I can use an unearthed arcana archetype? or do most dm's not allow that kind of thing?
>>
File: homebrewan.png (269KB, 695x949px) Image search: [Google]
homebrewan.png
269KB, 695x949px
Asking about, is this appropriate for CR?
Someone pointed out that all adult dragons are huge, that's something I have to think about. Don't know if it is necessary, especially that doesn't really fit metallic/chromatic spectrums.
>>
>>52757585
First off, no they're not the best. Second, you're doing it just as wrong as the people burning down a tavern because there's a bandit inside.
>>
>Empathetic
>Gain advantage on an attack roll

That's not how empathy works WotC
>>
>>52757597
There's no definite age limits, but age definitely has bearing on levels, even if it's extremely loose. A fighter can't wear armour with exactly 0 years training. You can say they learnt it in 10 days if you want, sure, with whatever excuse, but not that they immediately had no problems with it.
Same for wizards. They didn't just an angel shove a brain in their head full of spells. Unless you come up with an extremely unique backstory, they studied for it, and study takes time.

No definite 'You MUST be this age to be a wizard of this level' but just a loose idea that if your wizard starts at, say, level 15, you should avoid making an extremely young character.

>>52757604
It seems weird to give the main weapon greatsword damage before you've even used your off-hand attack.
>>
>>52757603
Well Div wizards generally fit anywhere, they are pretty much the kings of save or die spells.
>>
>>52757540
>Falling
>In a subjective setting

That's my problem no one plays objective setting that force paladins to actually think over their actions and it leads to them justifying being a murderhobo.

>>52757585
That I'm fine with, my problem is the one above, people pick the vengeance oath and treat it like they get to do what ever but be a paladin. Kudos to you though for not being a part of the problem.
>>
>>52757603
Play a Halfling Diviner Wizard with the Lucky feat, your DM deserves it.
>>
>>52757654
>>52757672

i wasnt sure, divination spells seem pretty sparse but portent sounds hilarious.
>>
File: 1491344702289.png (5KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491344702289.png
5KB, 266x189px
>>52757603
>All those spoilers
>>
>>52757683
Oh yeah don't worry about actual Divination spells. Its just that portent makes every other wizard specialization look like shit.
>>
>>52757603
Your DM is probably just looking out for you. Clerics are great, but trickery clerics are by far the worst.
>>
>>52756922
>Investigation is for stuff you're physically interacting with
>When you look around for clues and make deductions based on those clues, you make an Intelligence (Investigation) check.
In other words, I don't think the book supports your idea of investigation.
>>
>>52757711
Trickery clerics have quite possibly the best spell list of all clerics. Their features aren't awfully great in comparison, but I wouldn't call it entirely useless.
>>
>>52757694
sorry m8.

>>52757711
yeah that was pretty obvious, but a con man cleric of olidammara sounds fun as shit to play.
>>
>>52757664
>In a subjective setting
There's plenty of ways to make it work. Your spellcasting is divine so you could have a subjective god get irked at you. Imagination!
>>
>>52757084
Honestly, if you're both still capable of walking, grappling is probably forcing them to walk, rather than you completely carrying them. Then if you can completely carry them, you can move at full speed.
>>
>>52757761
If I were DM there would be consequences for extreme actions that seem out of line, the problem is I'm a forever DM and finally getting to be a PC so I can't control any of this other than in character.
>>
>>52757664
A violation of the tenets of your oath is still a violation, no matter how you try to justify it.
>>
What could I carry if I were a Brawny Goliath Bear-Totem Barbarian?
>>
>>52757853
paper towels
>>
>>52757642
Never mind that, it's also a copy of True Strike and still sucks. More like Pathetic.
>>
File: songofthesaurials.jpg (279KB, 877x1149px) Image search: [Google]
songofthesaurials.jpg
279KB, 877x1149px
>>52757853
All that memeing and you still can't carry a tune.
>>
>Not removing perception
>Not using investigation instead
>Not fucking revealing clues instead of hiding them behind arbitrary perception checks that people are sick and tired of
Of course, passive perception would likely exist on 10+WIS+INT with expertise granting +proficiency to it.
>>
>>52757650
>It seems weird
It seems weird to take a fighting style and fill your hands with weapons and not even deal as much damage as some idiot with a greatsword.
>>
>>52757921
New thread
>>
>>52757901
So I tell my players that a walls pattern does not line up with the others

They fail investigation

What now?
>>
>>52757919
At levels 1-4 with TWF you deal more damage as an idiot with a greatsword, even if you consider GWM's +10 and GWF being in there.
>>
>>52757901
I'll probably get shat on this but whatever.

Generally I don't put much stake if at all in passive perception. Its mostly there for me to roll against in ambush situations or to determine how much detail I initially put into my descriptions.

My number one rule is to never outright tell players "they find X" with passive perception. I'd not have them just find a fucking arrow trap, I would describe the room they enter and how there are notches on the walls. After this point I usually have more descriptions related to Investigation / Perception / Other checks but I never actually outright tell them what they are dealing with in plain words.
>>
>>52757940
Then, too bad. They don't get a clue. If they've looked at it hard enough then they'll know everything that's there, but they don't get to know what's going on with it.

I mean, there's no reason to say 'Okay, you failed investigation, so you don't see that tiny red light there' because given enough time they could easily notice something like that. You shouldn't shut off their chances of knowing there's even anything there because they fail a roll.
>>
>>52757703
Whoa now. Portent may guarantee a failed save once a day (if you do roll low for the portent roll)
But Abjuration will give you an extra 7HP at level 2. That's pretty baller. From then on basically knocks up your HP/level an additional 2.5/level
>>
>>52757956
And if you're only playing level 1-4, you can keep using TWF FS. That's the beauty of adding new content to make this fix instead of changing rules.
>>
>>52757966
Well, that's the idea. If the player is in dim light, they'd have disadvantage and thus -5 passive perception, which means if they were running by their passive perception might not be enough to notice the notches on the walls. With high passive perception, they might notice it even while running, which is good if the guy with the high passive perception is at the front.

You absolutely shouldn't be doing 'Okay, roll perception. Okay, you notice notches on the walls', and that isn't what you're doing, so that's good.
>>
>>52757853
Assuming 24 STR, you can carry 2880 lbs. 24 STR * 15 (carrying rules) * 2 (Brawny) * 2 (Goliath) * 2 (Bear Totem). That's enough to carry 2 grizzly bears. Note that Brawny doesn't increase your lift, push, or drag limits, so that maximum is still 2880lbs.
>>
>>52758093
>you will never be an angry goliath dual wielding bears
>>
>>52757604
Wait, so is it you make one attack roll, then add main-weapon damage, off-hand damage, and one Ability score per attack?

I ran the stats, and it's a lot better at keeping pace with GWF than normal TWF, but it kinda nerfs Rangers and Rogues who'd use TWF for extra chances at bonus damage.
>>
>>52758208
Corpses are a legitimate improvised weapon, but are living animals?
>>
Where do you guys go to find online games? Me and a partner are looking to join a game as players. Is there a better place to search for a group than Roll20?
>>
>>52758248
Yes, but you'll be making grapple checks and just because they're grappled doesn't mean they can't do shit.
>>
>>52758218
My suggestion is for a new fighting style that is simply +1d6 damage on main hand hits when you qualify for TWF. I can't come up with a wording that I really like to put it into a rule yet though. If you want to model it, it means
>Level 5
Action
2d6+Str, 2d6+Str
Bonus Action
1d6

You could use it with two longswords too if you want, even without Dual Wielder and that would be
>Level 5
Action
1d8+1d6+Str, 1d8+1d6+Str

And that's still a little less than Greatsword with GWF, on average.
>>
>>52758218
>>52758320
Sorry, the point is to change none of the TWF rules, so it doesn't change TWF for anyone who currently uses it.

Unless you want to add the stat bonus to off-hand damage to Dual Wielder, which doesn't hurt anyone and the feat honestly needs something as it is already.
>>
>>52758320
>>52758352
Looks cool. I'll get on modeling that right away, and also the other TWF alternates I posted before.
>>
>>52758320
This seems to be entirely missing the point of TWF.

TWF is supposed to exist to give you more hits, and then you synergize with things that proc on hits you get, like things that give +10 every hit.
Just buffing it so that your main sword is basically a mini greatsword is really just saying 'Yeah, TWF is about dealing damage, much like how greatswords are about dealing damage.'

But it's a hard problem to fix because GWM and PAM exist that actually give bonus action attacks anyway.

Just take a polearm and PAM and refluff it into dual-wielding with a slight alteration to make it more thematic, such as 1d6 instead of 1d4 damage on your bonus attack due to not having reach.
>>
>>52758491
The only point of TWF I can preserve is to make it an option alongside GWF, and SNB, and if possible, give DW a place between PM, GWM, and SM.
>>
>>52754008
All those blocking trees in dungeons... Can they pass through wood too? If so, fuck you doors!
>>
>>52758620
Its problem is that it's basically PAM or CBE but worse. Making it deal as much damage only makes it PAM Ver.2 which really doesn't have any point. It needs to fulfill a new role. Right now, its role is really just 'low level damage / barbarogue / melee rogue back-up, no feats required'. Especially making you need a feat would destroy the point of it entirely.
>>
What kind of human would come from Candlekeep, physically, ethnically speaking?
>>
>>52758672
PM can be used with Reach or with a quarterstaff and shield, so there should be room for DW in between those options.

Core TWF is unchanged. The TWF FS would not be changed. I'm literally just working up a new option to make using two weapons not retarded for a fighter, and more appealing for a ranger.
Thread posts: 431
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.