[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 24

File: 1483935723679.jpg (354KB, 930x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1483935723679.jpg
354KB, 930x1044px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/... >>52701829
>>
4e is good and has timeless advice for a new DM, applicable to any game.
>>
>>52709386
this is /5eg/
>>
Is War Magic a fun wizard variant? It looks fun, but I worry about how punishing using arcane deflection is in practice.
>>
>>52709400
It's really boring.
>>
Are people actually ticked off that their casters aren't overpowering martials?
>>
File: Cosmology.png (711KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmology.png
711KB, 2000x2000px
Okay guys, let's go over downtime activities, and see what things should be added.

>Building a Stronghold
>Buying a Magic Item
>Carousing (DMG version/UA version)
>Crafting an Item
>Crafting a Magic Item
>Crime
>Gambling
>Performing Sacred Rites
>Pit Fighting
>Relaxation
>Religious Service
>Research
>Running a Business
>Scribing a Spell Scroll
>Selling a Magic Item
>Sowing Rumors
>Training
>Training to Gain Levels
>Work

What should be added?
>>
>>52709535
Create Demiplane
>>
>>52709535
Training others, to cover stuff like a wizard training an apprentice or a fighter training a town militia
>>
Does a PC know if they've picked up a sentient item? I'm running Curse of Strahd and they've found the Sunsword, they're going to cast identify on it next session, and I don't know how much detail to go into
>>
>>52709517
Probably at some time, not now though. Mostly /5eg/ is full of gishes.

Nobody complains that any published stuff is op, people just talk about buffing stuff. Ranger was big.
>>
>>52709569
Holy shit, rules for training others sounds radical.
>>
>>52709575
the Sunsword specifies that it communicates via emotion to someone who's attuned iirc
>>
File: 1462086109229.jpg (45KB, 795x995px) Image search: [Google]
1462086109229.jpg
45KB, 795x995px
>>52709575
When they attune to it, they'd probably get a message.
>>
>>52709360
>Last session ended with everyone else's PCs making some poor decisions resulting in them getting mind controlled.
>My PC wasn't there, the party's orders are to find me and stop me from reaching another city
>I have time and resources to spare, and am in a city so I can procure nearly any magic item of rare rating or less
>Only requirement is I can't kill them
>They're smart so I know they won't risk attacking with anyone around. I'll probably be ambushed on the way.

If it's going to be just me, them, and the items I get, what's the best way to make sure I don't get destroyed.

I'm a knight against a wizard, valor Bard, and artificer. My AC is crazy high so I think if I can shut down their casting I can survive but I'm not sure what I could use to do that. Also, does beating into unconsciousness tend to break mind control? I'm not sure how I should do that either.
>>
>>52709575
Probably can ping that something is up, but until the weapon reveals itself it will be kept secret.

You could do a roll though, have the sentience roll a Wisdom save against the spell save of the identifying caster.

If it succeeds it's not known, fails, they know it's sentient.
>>
>>52709360
It seems like you give up all the cool specific abilities for the ability to basically tell Concentration to get fucked and have a decent AC with a 14 DEX.

If you wanted to be a tough Wizard it's maybe as good as Abjurer but it's abilities are passive rather then active.
>>
>>52709535
Scmoozing? Gaining contacts or influence/power?
>>
>>52709600
>My AC is crazy high so I think if I can shut down their casting I can survive but I'm not sure what I could use to do that
Antimagic field anon, invest in a way to gain access to it.
>>
>>52709600
Mantle of Spell Resistance will keep you saving against hold person and fireball.

Yes calling non lethal knocking someone out could do it but it's up to DM.
>>
>>52709629
>>52709400
>>
>Script is working
>Chrome crashes
>Reload
>it's not working
FUCK
>>
>>52709596
>>52709594
Does an identify spell tell it's sentient?
>>
"Starting at 6th level, you can empower your spells that unleash harm on groups of foes. When you force multiple creatures to make saving throws against the damage of one of your spells, you can increase the spell’s damage by rolling two more of its damage dice. This increase occurs only on the turn you cast the spell."

What's the best spell for this? Something with only a few high damage dice and a large area of effect I imagine but nothing comes to mind except Fireball.
>>
>>52709679
Since it's 6th level, the 5th level Fireball is really the best one for this at that level. I guess Meteor Swarm too.
>>
>>52709600
Hire multiple people to dress as you and go before you on the path, then go off trailing through the woods with a ranger.
>>
>>52709679
Huh, basically lets you cast a level 5 Fireball at level 6. That's pretty awesome actually.
>>
>>52709679
probably erupting earth, because its a level 3 spell that uses d12s. going from 3d12 to 5d12 is a nice jump at level 6
>>
>>52709612
That sounds awesome thanks!
>>
>>52709673
My understanding of Identify is that you might as well let them read/copy the DMG description. Properties, charges, whether attunement is required, how to use it, everything. I'd say "sentient" counts as a property.
>>
>>52709631
If you read the new UA, that's actually under Carousing and Religious Service.
>>
>>52709535
A way to retrain class features/abilities and poach class features/abilities from other classes would be fucking sweet.
>>
>>52709517
Why would you need to overpower something you can cast plane shift on?
>>
>>52709696
That's clever as shit Anon. I'm LE so it won't be an issue.

>>52709641
Going to definitely invest in this.
>>52709640
So that's an 8th level concentration spell. I'd absolutely fucking love access to it but I can't imagine a way to feasibly get it. Any ideas on how to talk my DM into it? Tweaks to make it more balanced? Maybe a super super expensive item and it only lasts for 30 seconds once a day or something?
>>
What are good ideas for a stronghold
>Awakening the Genie Loci
>Teleportation Circles
>Traps everywhere
>>
>>52709732
>implying that list didnt have lots of stuff from the UA
>>
>>52709780
It did, but I was pointing out that schmoozing is something on there already, just under another name.
>>
Is going Fighter 1/War Mage X cheesy if I just want a Wizard who can stay in melee? For all the people who sperg about multiclassing UA imagine I said Fighter 1/Abjurer X.
>>
File: Daperton.jpg (319KB, 1097x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Daperton.jpg
319KB, 1097x1920px
>>52709777
>Guardian entities
>Mooks/minions
>Old Masters
>Trophy Room
>Non-humanoid inhabitants
>Phantom Zone
>NPC Face
>>
>>52709875
if your just trying to tack on armor proficiency to a wizard, it looks cheesy but it really isnt that much stronger than just being a cleric or bard or stone sorcerer or mountain dwarf
>>
>>52709935
I was actually going to use Medium and a Shield so I can sneak. Combine it with the War Mage's reaction to let me stay in melee to deliver touch spells and walls while being able to support the Fighty guys.

Maybe I'd be better off going with something else for medium though. A Knowledge Cleric might also make it clearer I'm not cheesing it for 20 AC.
>>
>>52709535

Training toward tool proficiencies.
>>
>>52710028
Already on the list, in the UA
>>
Is it a paladins duty to kill all evil creatures since "evil" is a tangible thing? Say a level 1 party barely survived killing a bandit camp and they have to pay off the ogre that the bandits hired to save their lives and they go their seperate ways. is the paladin obliged to return to the ogre when hes healed and slay it?
>>
>>52710057
I wouldn't say obligated but unless there's something more important he has to do and he has heavy reason to suspect the Ogre will be a threat to the commonfolk he should.

What Oath is he?
>>
>>52710057
I don't know if he's obliged to kill the ogre but that would still be fucking cool.
>>
Is it feasible to retrain class features with class features of other classes?
>>
>Curse Bringer
Prerequisite: The Hexblade patron, Pact of the
Blade feature You can create a great sword forged from silver,with black runes etched into it blade, using your Pact of the Blade feature. If you reduce a target cursed by your Hexblade’s Curse to 0 hit points with this sword, you can immediately change the target of the curse to a different creature. This change doesn’t extend the curse’s duration. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 slashing damage to the target per spell level, and you can reduce the creature’s speed to 0 feet until the end of your next turn.

This is actually so bad for Hexblade it's not even funny. If you use Hexblade you can use pretty much any Martial weapon with CHA bonus expect 2 handed so why spend all the neat flavor text on a thing a Hexblade will never want to use....
>>
>>52710093
No that's not the way D&D works. If you want another classes features you'd have to multiclass and work up to it.

A high level Paladin can't go stealing a high level Monk's abilities without training long and hard as a Monk.
>>
>>52710085
>level 1

Wouldnt he not have an oath by then?
>>
>>52710057

I thought the only mortals who pinged as evil were clerics to evil patrons and those who had done colossal, staggering amounts of evil in their lifetime, not some punk bandits or an ogre.
>>
>>52710122
Oh, sorry I missed that he was level 1. At this point it depends on his fluff, maybe he feels it would be a waste to die fighting it or he might decide that it has to be done.

So he's not really obligated to do anything.
>>
>>52710134
Thats pathfinder. in 5E paladins cant detect evil period.
>>
>>52710134
Chances are the Paladin's either going out on a limb to assume the Ogre's an evil individual if it was with bandits. Which is perfectly reasonable because Paladins are basically walking wacking sticks of their own ideology who murder those who disagree.

Or the Paladin has proof the Ogre's committed evil acts there's no redemption for.
>>
File: 1467258989900.jpg (246KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467258989900.jpg
246KB, 400x800px
>>52710198
>ogre
>redemption
>>
File: Slaadi.png (2MB, 2747x728px) Image search: [Google]
Slaadi.png
2MB, 2747x728px
How do you use Slaadi in your campaign, /5eg/?
>>
>>52710228
I have a feeling you play Paladins the way they were always meant to be played. A murderhobo racist who believes himself to be LG and isn't an actual knight because everyone thinks he's insane.
>>
>>52710235
Foreshadowing to an apocalypse they'll never get to play because they lose interest and the game and life is suffering.
>>
>>52710259
Its an ogre, it terrorizes people for fun before it eats them. It makes clothes out of human skin, I doubt its even smart enough to understand what a "bad person" is.
>>
>>52710298
You just gained a level of Paladin from milestone XP. Good roleplaying.
>>
>>52709360
I am enjoying playing a pally so much. I fought it would suck because of it's potential to fall but it's all good, it helps with role playing.
>>
>>52710360
I played a pally, loved it.
what oath did you go for?
>>
I know it gets asked like every topic but I'm teaching a new DM how to run a game and was wondering what the best published adventure/module to run would be? Level 1s, gonna' be a simple dungeon crawl hopefully.
>>
>>52710419
Sunless Citadel, remade in 5e in the yawning portal
>>
>>52709360
What is the appropriate levels for multi-classing a Warlock/Rogue hybrid? A 10/10 spilt seems shitty but I can't figure out wich one i need to put more points into.

Also i played using a grid and mini's for the first time last night and it made the game way more fun. My favorite thing is they were super budget mini's from a local toy store. Player character minis were Theodore roosevelt figure, a clown, a cheap red plastic ninja, and a tiny alien with 2 daggers. We fought against green army men. Any one know of a good source of small cheap toys for use as mini's?
>>
>>52709535
reposting mine from last thread, with other suggestions that spawned from them:
>building up/training an army
>establishing organizations (churches, university branches, hospitals, what have you)
>casting certain spells multiple times over time to make their effects permanent on an area
>create a new monster through magic- CR based on your character level, pick general roles, specifics could be fluff
>create new spells, similar to lore wizard's class functions but takes (some amount of time) x spell level
>work towards solving a particular problem in a town/community that isn't typical adventure stuff (agricultural issies, etc)
>rules for training levels (find a trainer, roll what level he can train you to, noble lifestyle costs, takes month x new char level
>>
Got a question. A group of friends and that (5 players and a GM) are going through a campaign but we can only really play once a month because lives, jobs and shit. I was thinking that we could have our party start recruiting novice adventurers to make small parties to tackle local issues and shit; bandits raiding caravans, kobolds killing livestock, etc.|

It could be a way for our main party to do some of that downtime shit as well as letting us play some shit if only 3-4 people can play that week. Both a friend and I could DM little side quests without having to do hours of work.

How many people would be a realistic minimum for a party? I was thinking we could built a pool of ~15 Lv3-5 adventurers to take on little quests or something.
>>
>>52710166
Are you retarded?
5e paladins can divine sense.
>>
>>52710456
Chess pieces work great for groups of enemies that are bandits, goblins and other humanoids. You can use different figures for archers, sword and shield and etc.

For PC's I've heard good things about the D&D board games and the Dark Souls board game looks pretty but I know nothing about it. Really any board game like that will work and Warhammer Age of Sigmar ones should be pretty easy to find.

I have Magic: Duels of the Panewalkers and I took the paint off the Jace figure and repainted him for my Enchanter.
>>
>>52710456
you probably dont want more than 3 levels in warlock, because warlock has really shitty scaling (maybe 5 levels for the second attack with your pact weapon if you go bladelock).
>>
>>52710540
Go read it again. Retard.
>>
>>52710296
Ouch. You hit very close to home, there.
>>
File: 1488572721347.png (31KB, 915x667px) Image search: [Google]
1488572721347.png
31KB, 915x667px
>>52710235
I want to run an ancient-Egypt-themed game with slaadi, Kek, giant toads, a plague of frogs, a deranged priesthood and widespread chaos.
>>
Should I take War Caster or Heavy Armour Master for my level 1 feat on a Fighter/Wizard?
>>
>>52710684
I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone that Kek was never funny.
>>
Fighting on mountain side sucks,. Fighting against flying monster on mountain side sucks more. What terrain battle ground annoy you?
>>
>>52710708
I mean the actual Egyptian god Kek, not the meme.
>>
>>52710577
I mostly want bladepact, the ability to cast darkness and the Devil's Sight invocation so I can get advantage for sneak attacks with my rapier. Eldritch blast is pretty nice too. Is this a dumb multiclass? What else should i nab in my 3 level dip?
>>
>>52710715
Jungles. Especially during the Giant Ape mating season.

Deserts are my favorite though. I love the aesthetic of the sandy endless wastes where you can't tell if that fire in the distance is going to be your salvation or bunch of slavers.

>>52710731
Grab the at-will Mage Armour if your DM isn't likely to throw you magic armour any time soon.
>>
>>52710586
They can detect strong evil through their divine sense and they have the spell detect good and evil, you fucking illiterate retard.
>>
>>52710731
>>52710577
I'm also kind of tempted to go to 5th level for thirsting blade (extra attack)
>>
File: 1492213758777.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
1492213758777.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>52710540
>>
>>52710752
Not the guy your talking to but that's fluff. This is what the power is.

"Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell."

You can't detect and evil humanoid with that.
>>
>>52710760
Maybe you should actually read the paladin entry before coming off as a complete illiterate retard.
>>
>>52710782
>>52710752
>fluff text
>detect good and evil doesnt actually detect food or evil, merely more races than divine sense

Lmao
>>
File: 80s.jpg (517KB, 1212x787px) Image search: [Google]
80s.jpg
517KB, 1212x787px
FRIENDS OF /5EG/

TELL ME HOW MUCH AN AVERAGE HOUSE COSTS IN YOUR SETTING
>>
File: Welcome to Wales.png (148KB, 739x402px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome to Wales.png
148KB, 739x402px
>>52710808
>>
>>52710703
Warcaster, duh
>>
>>52710808
My DM wanted 10000gp. The same price as a fully furnished, three story tavern.
>>
>>52710808
An average house in a poorer part of town? About 150gp but it's effectively a tiny room plus you'll be taxed and most nicer houses are passed down by family and have the entire family living in them.
>>
>>52710808
A cow costs 2gp and can be sold for 900$
A small house costs 175,000

So 200gp
>>
>>52710841
400gp*
>>
>>52710817
But to take war caster at level 1 you need to know at least 1 spell, meaning your first level can't be in fighter, and you miss out on heavy armor.
>>
>>52710235
Chaotic lazy toad demons of a golden toad chaos god.
>>
>>52710752
Eat my chode ya cunt. Read the fucking book sometime. Probably a fucking shitskin. Second language motherfucker.
>>
>>52710862
Oh shit true. I mostly want Heavy Armour Master anyway because I already get to use my reaction for +2 AC or +4 CON saves.

Maybe Shield Master could be decent but that does also play on my reaction and I can't use the Shove without attacking.

Actually does anyone know if there's races other then Humans in Cormyr and if it's possible for them to become War Wizards?
>>
>>52710862
high elf or forrest gnome and i think some genasi and tiefling have cantrips don't they?
>>
>>52710841
1 gp is equivalent to $10
>>
>>52710948
No it isn't. The economy of d&d (and medieval economics in general for that matter) can't be easily translated into a dollar value. For example, pigs and cows were WAY more expensive back then.
>>
>>52710948
>a sword that takes a skilled craftsman two months to make
>20 bucks

Funny joke there, anon.
>>
>>52710372
Vengeance though I was really tempted to go ancients.
>>
>>52710922
Oh shit and watch out, we have a badass over here.
>>
Is Hexblade Warlock the most anime class?

>Mage-Fighter
>Giant Sword
>That is made of darkness
>drinks blood
>can be summoned out of thin air
>and is also your non-human talking benefactor
>can detach shadow to mess with other shadows
>All these darkness powers yet arguably not evil
>>
File: Forrest.png (840KB, 497x637px) Image search: [Google]
Forrest.png
840KB, 497x637px
>>52710946
>forrest gnome
>>
>>52710922
Again, so normal people can actually understand your blathering drivel.
>>
>>52710731
>>52710758
5 levels of warlocks means 5 less levels of sneak attack for your rogue half. and at 6 you get another patron feature from warlock

if youve decided on your pact and devils sight, all thats really left to pick is your patron and one or two invocations.

goo lets you communicate silently, the raven queen gives you what is basically a familiar which provides some perception bonuses, and hexblade gives you its very powerful curse
>>
>>52711030
You're fucking wrong and need to learn to fucking read. Divine sense and detect evil have fuck all to do with alignment, its simply whether you originate on the prime material or not.
>>
>>52711083
Yep, it should be renamed to detect outsider.
>>
>>52710112
It's on purpose. Gotta have strength to use those big boy weapons. Can't just be pretty and charming to wield a big slab of metal.
>>
>>52711083
>>52711097

it can detect undead too
>>
>>52710814
See, this is completely without context. If I knew how much sheepfucking cost an hour, THEN I could get an estimation of the cost of living in wales. But without the cost of basic necessities I can't judge shit.
>>
>>52711115
PHB setting canon says that undead are always evil since the fuel that drives the corpse comes from the plane of negative energy. You ain't detecting the body, you're detecting the soul or lack thereof.
>>
>>52711115
>Detect Various Creatures That May Or May Not Be Evil Or Good Or Unaligned Maybe
>>
>>52711187
At least Divine Sense is a good name for the paladin ability.

It should just be called Divine Sense and Paladins can cast it for free a certain number of times with their ability.
>>
What happens if one of my players pokes Sarith with Dawnbringer and casts Lesser Restoration?
They have been on the road for less than a week so I don't think he is too far gone, but I don't know.
>>
>>52711083
It's hilarious watching you autistically flail around and flip the table like a fat retard.
>>
>>52711083
>>52711097
>>52711115
>>52711171
There's actually an example of this straight from a dev, where a paladin casts detect evil/good on the Abbot in Curse of Strahd. She detects that he is a divine celestial being and feels great, when of course, he's actually evil. It ain't "Know Alignment" niggas.
>>
Are there any other spells like Delayed Fireball that let me hold it for a while before casting it?
>>
>>52711280

Never played curse of Strahd but if he was just some celestial that turned evil that's pretty much how it works. If he was an undead or fiend that registered as a celestial that's bullshit
>>
>>52711325
He's an evil celestial, a Deva with a different alignment
>>
File: I'm done arguing with bait.png (362KB, 432x367px) Image search: [Google]
I'm done arguing with bait.png
362KB, 432x367px
>>52711267

>>52711296
Contingency
>>
Is the new Cause Fear spell decent? Seems like a good single target spell for lower levels but then again what with less the 25HP will be worth casting it on.
>>
>>52711387
Same general issue with 5e as a whole, its better in most cases just damage race rather waste a turn's worth of damage to cc. If you're running into lots of wounded ogres or intellect devourers then sure, go for it.
>>
>>52711214
I would say it would cure him, but make sure to describe how over the next few hours and days he coughs up bits of fungal organs and brain matter as the spell restored his original organs and forced out the fungi.
>>
>>52711423
I'm just having trouble picking level 1 Wizard spells because most other classes have obvious picks.

So far I've got Ice Knife and Find Familiar. I figure level 1 damage spells aren't going to be needed much and I already have Heavy Armour so Shield's not urgent.

I guess I could take Grease but a 10ft square's pretty small.
>>
>>52711481
Grease is great since it hits multiple dudes and can cover escapes very well. But you're right in the thought of damage. You really only need one or two damage spells/cantrips. Just enough to make sure that immunities won't fuck you but as a wizard you contribute more by your utility than your blastiness. Blasting should go to the sorcerer instead.
>>
>>52711512
I guess I might as well take Grease. It is a classic spell and always fun to make people fall on their ass.

Is Sleep still godlike in this edition or does it become worthless too quickly?
>>
>>52711544
>Is Sleep still godlike in this edition
No but its definitely good. 5e tried to take away from god casters who could end encounters with a single spell so its definitely lost some bite from 3.pf but is still very good at lower levels for ending encounters or thinning herds.
>>
>>52711544
Sleeps pretty good. It only has two levels though.
>>
>>52711585
>>52711604
Well that's my first 4 spells done. Ice Knife for damage, Grease for bigger enemies, Sleep for groups of weaker ones and Find Familiar because it might as well be a class feature.

Might take a utility one next level, Feather Fall is always a life saver when it comes up.
>>
If you were to run a game with exactly one fullcaster class allowed, what would it be?
>>
>>52710814
>Lodging
>Sheep

I'm confused
>>
>>52711615
Wizard.
>>
>>52710534
Bumping this for anon. Im really curious if people have tried this. Im interested in using that for my group that barely gets to play
>>
>>52711214
He needs Greater Restoration not Lesser
>>
>>52711628
Wales gets joked as sheep fuckers I think. Personally I would've made a New Zealand joke but it's all the same.
>>
>>52711481
>Heavy Armour
>as a level 1 wiz

No you don't
>>
>>52711647
Why though?
>>
>>52711670
I'm a Fighter first, then the rest in Wizard. So I'm choosing my first level Wizard spells.
>>
>>52711615
Warlock.

People arent innately magical. They get magic through divine mandate or fiendish pacts
>>
>>52711628
So am I. It's a formatting error in the table that wasn't caught before it was published, but it makes me laugh.
>>
>>52711700
Warlock isn't really a fullcaster.

It's kinda it's own thing that no one else really does. Like a 3/4 Caster with limited casting and Martial Attack spam with EB maybe? I like that there's something other then Fullcaster, Halfcaster and Martial though.

I would personally allow Warlocks and Clerics to cover Arcane magic and Divine magic.
>>
I'm running Storm King's Thunder for the first time. Anyone have any tips/obvious pitfalls to avoid?

Also, is it really a wise idea to throw 20 orcs and a warchief out of nowhere at 4 level 2 players?
>>
>>52711761
That would kill them no doubt

Players don't like to surrender or run away. That fight's not going to be winnable, so make sure your Orcs are attacking to subdue.
>>
>>52711761
the way that encounter goes, the players have a huge advantage on the bulk of the orcs, able to use the walls of the city to their advantage
If the it feels like two many orcs, split the forces into two waves and only introduce backup if you feel the combat is too easy without more orcs
>>
>>52711788
This.

I ran from a combat during our last session because we were EXTREMELY outnumbered and outgunned. We definitely would have died but that didn't stop our most useless, deadweight player from autistically screeching for 20 minutes because we didn't fight.

I served as bait and drew all the enemies away while they just had to sneak to a portal and he still threw a bitch fit.
>>
>>52711761
That fight isn't as difficult as it might seem, as long as they raise the drawbridge and have either the zhentarim dudes or guards defending with them it's winnable. You can also bring in the Ardeep elves in at any point if your players have made some really bad decisions.
>>
Is it better to use a spell with an Attack Roll or a Saving Throw? I kind of feel that Attack Rolls are better but you'd obviously want a mix.
>>
>>52711856
It all depends on your enemy. Someone with low dex is going to be likely to fail a dex save, in that case ST is better. A rogue though, would be likely to pass meaning an attack roll would be better.

All situational my senpai.

Although, if you know an enemies stats I would argue it's almost universally better to use ST spells corresponding to their weaknesses. Obviously.
>>
How do Reserve Ioun Stones work?
Do you use an action to cast the spell?
The full casting time?
>>
File: 2384225296_4f60931e19_o.jpg (1MB, 1175x1249px) Image search: [Google]
2384225296_4f60931e19_o.jpg
1MB, 1175x1249px
Where should I look if I wanted to learn more about the Fey? Doesn't even have to be 5e, I'm wondering more about them lore-wise
>>
It's fair to let a Dragon Sorcerer who wanted to be in melee to refluff a socking grasp as delivered by a weapon right?
>>
>>52712071
As long as the weapon itself does no damage while shocking grasp is active.
>>
>>52712071
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what you're asking but it seems like your player just wants to refluff a spell, not change anything mechanically?

Of course that's okay. It's just a choice for the sake of fleshing out their character better. I'd be so fucking stoked if one of my players took initiative to refluff ANYTHING.
>>
>>52711928
>While this stone orbits your head, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.
>but is... treated as if you cast the spell
So whatever you would normally do to cast the spell, that's what you do. If the spell says casting time: one action, it's an action, etc.
>>
>>52712250
Thanks
>>
>>52712118
Basically he want to change the spell so instead of it having a Somatic component it has Material component (Weapon). So instead of touching someone with his hand, he pokes them with a weapon.
>>
>>52712388
That would also be S. Poking is a somatic movement.
>>
>>52712388
In that case, exactly what this anon said.
>>52712098
>>
>>52712098
>>52712410
I don't really get what you mean by "Active". t's just a spell attack that won't use the weapons damage at all, just the 1d8 Lightning.
>>
>>52712421
That's what we're saying. That's fine.
>>
>>52712421
We're saying it's fine.
>>
Finally gave PAM a try, it was fun but I started to notice a trend.

>one player was missing because it was his birthday, and another player didn't show up at all without warning
>the DM, me and two other players decide to do a one shot for fun
>DM becomes a player while the other player takes up the mantle, we start at level 3
>I play an old man revised ranger monster hunter who swings a giant scythe, refluffed glaive
>old DM plays cleric and the other player plays a arcane fighter
>I tear through shit left and right, killed 80% of the stuff we encountered in our mega dungeon crawl while the cleric fumbles all his attacks and the archer hits every other time
>between the bonus and reaction attacks and good rolls, I'm hitting everything within reach with every action resource

Is this why PAM is considered cookie cutter and a strong non-meme build?
>>
>>52711683
Long term madness needs greater restoration to cure it
>>52711684
>Actually using meme builds
>>
>>52711761
The orcs are wounded, the players have a fortified town with moat and zhents and elves hel
>>
>>52712071
No because once they get a magic weapon the bitching will start
>>
>>52712641
>Actually using meme builds
I'm actually doing it for a War Wizard of Cormyr. It says that a lot of them train as Purple Knights before becoming Wizards so my end goal is going Fighter 3/Wizard X and taking the Purple Knight option.

Plus I do get action surge casting which is pretty great for needing to suddenly burst magical attacks.
>>
>>52712689
So go to Fighter 3 first
>>
>>52712562
PAM is strong because it gives ability bonus on the second attack and it gives you more reliable use of your reaction. It essentially abuses the action economy. It seems like feats like PAM and Crossbow Mastery essentially negate the utility of the two weapon fighting style by giving away free actions with ability bonuses. Feats are very poorly balanced but they mostly only help martials which gives the dichotomy of balancing martials against casters but also forcing builds.
>>
>>52712699
I'd rather do the magic asap because I'm taking Defencive fighting and only having a 14 Strength. I'm willing to take a not great other 2 levels of Fighter eventually but not be incredibly worthless for the 3 first ones.

Also if I was doing a real meme build I'd do Life Cleric 1/ Wizard X.
>>
>>52712707
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured out from the one shot I played in. I had always wanted to try it but never really had a good idea for a character that would be fun and still use it. Pretty insane about how versatile it is.
>>
>>52712743
Yea, martials are essentially forced to take PAM and GWM or Sniper and Crossbow Expert in order to both abuse action economy and add +10 damage on the abused actions. PAM is more powerful than Crossbow Expert because it grants 2 actions instead of 1 and thus gives you +20+2xSTR damage instead of +10+DEX
>>
>>52709360
Is there any reason to use Time Stop? I mean the only reason I can see is Delayed Blast Fireball and at that point I feel like Meteor Swarm is better.
>>
>>52709535
Sacrificing a Victim to Ghauhandaur
>>
>>52713135
>Ghauhandaur
nice choice
>>
Are there any guides to transferring 4e material to 5e? I kind of want to convert some of the Lair Assault modules.
>>
>>52709535
Groom a preteen girl
>>
>>52713306
Germanistan pls go
>>
File: q9TdZOU65j8wE.gif (2MB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
q9TdZOU65j8wE.gif
2MB, 266x200px
>>52713306
>>
At last, a viable ostrich wildshape build.
>>
>>52713398
???
>>
>>52713418
my name is warforged
i have metal joints
defeat me and win +2 Longsword
>>
When i click the link to the mega troce, i only see the Adventurers section. Would anyone be so kind as to post the link to the monster manual?
>>
>>52713528
You can just google it my dude
>>
Will my party hate me if I play a very generic cockney Thief? I obviously wouldn't betray them or anything but would like to be very Thiefy and money obsessed.

Can I get away with faking the accent or should I just use my normal one? Australian in America.
>>
>>52712804
I'm torn on this issue, I plan to play a barbarian in the near future and PAM would be hugely beneficial but I like the aesthetics of a great sword thanks Beserk also I'd be really tempted to grab Sentinel aswell and become That Guy.
>>
Can you fire two already loaded hand crossbows in one turn without CBE?
>>
File: 1483321748015.jpg (401KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483321748015.jpg
401KB, 1920x1080px
Going to make a way of shadows monk who was imprisoned for many years in a pitch black cell, like Bane or Riddick or something. He eventually develops an affinity for the dark and escapes using his ki spells. Any recommendations for race/background/personality?
>>
>>52713644
With extra attack yes. If not no.
>>
>>52713644
Maybe two-weapon fighting allows this?
>>
>>52713698
You can't two weapon fight with ranged weapons.
>>
>>52713664
Well the race could be anything, but most will say pick V.Human and get that mobile feat right away. The background will depend on why he is in the cell and as for personality I'd say clunky if that makes sense. He understands how to talk to people but not having done for a while he's probably not the best.
>>
>>52713628
Just go for a Greatsword. You only need one feat then and can pump CON to be a tanky motherfucker.

Also if you kill something with a Greatsword (Likely to happen on a Barbarian) you get a bonus action Greatsword strike anyway.
>>
>>52713565

Just be yourself, mate.

Australian accents are cool anyway.
>>
>>52713565
If the people you play with like Steve Irwin then just be you and do what he did.
>>
>>52713731
Makes sense, I had planned to be tanky as fuck because of back story reasons so it'd all work out either way.
>>
>>52713794
Barbarian is one of the people who can probably get as much use out of a Greatsword as others do with PAM. As long as it's not one big enemy you can rely ably do 3d12+30+3xSTR+3xRage, and if it's a big guy then the party will expect you to Prone and Grapple him which you'll be able to do easily against most things.

Also because you only really need one feat you should just pump Strength and Constitution with your other ASI's. Unless there's another feat you really want then it's easy.
>>
>>52713565
Why would you put on an accent? The australian accent is already perfect for a thief.
>>
>>52713733
>>52713778
>>52713862
Yeah, I suppose I'll just go natural. Now I've just gotta pray they don't think I'm going to betray them and preemptively betray me.
>>
>>52713862
yea, an ass bandit LOL
>>
>>52713889
Just act natural and don't even bring it up, unless they confront you then don't let it cross your mind. RP it as if your character is slightly offended at the accusation because while you might be a thief you do have standards and one or two rules.
>>
>>52713729
Clunky sounds about right, will be going low Cha then. Thinking he was a noble born prisoner of war who returns home with these new powers after escaping, but was presumed dead and is now shunned from high society.
>>
>>52713932
I should've mentioned that the Thief I'm playing as was actually a side character the party kinda conscripted to help them after killing my old one.

We were ambushed by some Thieves and my old character died and they caught the one who killed me alive, they wanted to get him to help them track down the guild. I whispered to the DM for a private chat before anything happened and we decided I'd play as that guy next session.

I'm planning to make that the first time he actually killed a man and he's rather racked by guilt about doing it. He didn't want to go ambush travelers but was strong armed into doing so. Deeply religious he's hoping that actually working against the Guild might be the first good thing he's done and enough to let him forgive himself.
>>
>>52714018
sounds real interesting
...NOT
>>
Should I base my folk hero dwarven stone sorcerer off spaghetti western cowboys or Hank Hill?
>>
>>52714058
Hank does his best John Wayne impression.
>>
>>52714058
I second >>52714070 and also suggest you make him a seller of Dwarven Weapons and Dwarven Weapon Accessories before becoming an adventurer.
>>
File: drow-300x182[1].jpg (14KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
drow-300x182[1].jpg
14KB, 300x182px
Is there anyone here who actually unironically dresses up for their in-person sessions? I kind of want to wear a wizard hat to my next meet.
>>
>>52714170
god no
>>
>>52714018
God speed in pulling that one off.
>>
>>52714170
I wear maybe 1 or 2 things that match my character if it's easy. A wizard hat, maybe bring toy axe or a cape. Just something small works wonders if you've ever played with someone who forgot what you were playing.

>>52714182
I know, I'll fucking need it. Might text the one person in the party who I'm actually good friends with and explain that I don't plan to betray them. Hopefully if someone else wants to kill me he can talk them out of it.

It's not like they liked my old character. An asshole Enchanter.
>>
>>52713845
That's become my role when facing bosses. Rage and grapple the boss.
Resistance is super useful
>>
>>52714313
It's because the Barbarian will be able to grapple anything that isn't ridiculously strong.

Grabbing the necromancer by the neck, throwing him to the ground and then having you and the rest of the party slam into him is amazingly satisfying.

I used Grappling to delete a Young Black Dragon and that was just amazingly fun because the DM had planned for him to fly away.
>>
>>52714340
Grappled a werewolf. Resisted twice.
Current sessions I have to grapple some kind of fiend. Should be okay, currently playing an orc, although my character is unconcious and it's running away and the Paladin is 2 turns away from me because Orcs have a retarded amount of movement.
>>
File: 1487871158181.jpg (69KB, 720x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487871158181.jpg
69KB, 720x360px
>Personality Trait: Doesn't believe in tipping
The fuck.
>>
>>52711296
Ready action let's you hold a spell in Concentration until you're ready to cast.
>>
>>52705690
And deep stalker gets 3 attacks in round one. Hunter gets three attacks whenever there's two targets next to each other. The beast conclave's three attacks costs the companion's reaction and has to be melee. It's not unbalanced.
>>
File: 1455765569723.jpg (573KB, 1500x848px) Image search: [Google]
1455765569723.jpg
573KB, 1500x848px
Do the damage types of the Dragonborn breath attacks present any uses outside of combat? Am I allowed to melt metal with acid, or set things on fire for example?
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/charactersheets

What the hell is this about, does it glow in the dark or magically track stats or give me head or something? Why is it $10 and why does it take 3 month to design?
>>
>>52714763
I can't see why not.
Effectiveness would be up to GM discretion, or maybe according to attacking object rules (which I don't think anyone actually cares about), but there is nothing stopping you from breathing fire at an object instead of a person.
>>
>friend introduces his dwarf character today
>dude loves making really odd, hybrid characters and abusing abilities
>dm is fine with it since these characters normally get themselves killed anyways and we're not trying to be strict
>anyways
>I dragged the party to a count's castle through a white-lie
>ends up being the truth
>we see this dwarf fighting off vampire spawn, suplexing them back and forth
>we help him out and a journey begins within a magical realm of puzzles for a bit
>most the party gets spat out and lo and behold, the count arrives downstairs to fight us
>what happens next has us in awe
>dwarf places down spikes
>go on...
>grapples the count
>...go on...
>BEGINS TO DRAG THE COUNT WHICH HAS BEEN THE ARCH-NEMESIS OF MY CHARACTER THEIR ENTIRE LIFE THROUGH THE SPIKES FOR 40 FEET AND GRINDS HIM TO A PULP

And that's when the party went wild and the dm went red.

Beautiful fucking form you god damn mountain dwarf bastard.
>>
>>52714763
Any official material regarding 20+ adventures?

We have a level 20 party which is currently retired that we want to continue playing. We have looked into a lot of different ways to do it, but I dont feel like I could make any of the current ideas work as a GM.
>>
>>52714807
Just reading it, the fancy folder and 'introductory character sheet' is what you'd be paying for, I guess.
>>
>>52714884
Doesn't seem like it's worth $10 but at this point WoTC could sell me shit-on-a-stick and i would buy it
>>
>>52714920
I have a feeling it'll be like the sheet that came with the Starter Set and be a fancy paper.

Basically made for you to have some nice tough ones you can photocopy and a folder. It's not a bad deal but I feel like they should've thrown in a dice set or something.
>>
>>52714878
How does the dwarf avoid being hurt?
Why didn't the vampire use a reaction to turn into a bat or mist or something like that?
>>
>>52714940
Yea a set of dice would have made it a great purchase or gift for players but the paper alone doesn't justify the cost
>>
>>52714950
Honestly, these are good questions.

I think we were so entranced by the spectacle and idea that we just kind of went braindead for a good five minutes.
>>
>>52709777
>Genie Loci
Am I the only one that thinks genius locus is the stupidest term? Smart house. Living room. Haunted mansion. There's probably a million better ways to get the idea across.
>>
>>52714950
>>52714974
Just spoke to the dm.

Apparently he was walking around the spikes, dragging the vampire in them.

Also, in response to the bat question, "Idk, that's lame." Also, it's apparently an action? I think we all prefer it went down like that.
>>
How are the premade adventures for 5e? I'm running a campaign for some coworkers but I don't know if it'll be a constant thing so I don't want to get wrapped up into world building.

Are their any decent conversions for some of the pathfinder AP's to 5e if none of the released ones catch my eye?
>>
>>52711296
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
>>
>>52715134
Really good actually. Most of them are up there with some of the better ones I've played throughout the years.

Lost Mine of Phandelver is the best introduction premade I've ever run. It has everything for new players from dungeons, goblin ambushes, a castle to invade, side quests, powerful NPCs to not annoy, Shapeshifters and a Young Dragon. All wrapped into a good plot that ends with a fight against and evil Drow in a big mine.

The other good level 1 adventure is Sunless Citadel which was a 3e one that I loved. The update seems good but I haven't had a chance to run it.
>>
>>52711745
>Warlock isn't really a fullcaster.
It can turn itself into a dragon, and that's good enough for me.
>>
>>52715180
That's good to here. I just ran Phandelver for another group and it was pretty damn good. Not very keen on running it again so soon though. I'll have to look up Sunless Citadel. Was it remade in Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
>>52715228
>Was it remade in Tales from the Yawning Portal?
ofc
>>
>>52715228
Yeah it was in there. If you can put some plot, cities and NPC's in between I've heard just running all the ToYP adventures in a row make a decent dungeon based campaign.

People say Curse of Strahd is good but I didn't like it too much personally, Storm King's Thunder sounds good, Hoard of the Dragon Queen isn't great and though I never ran it I liked playing Princes of the Apocalypse.

I converted a few 4e adventures I liked and really all you need to do is take the plot and replace monsters with their new version or close to.
>>
>>52713862
That's fucking racist.
>>
How is 5e at running an Eberron game?
>>
What weapon for my cook/butcher themed character?
A massive two handed cleaver, dual wield chef's knife and meat tenderiser or a cutting board shield with a chef's knife/meat tenderiser?
>>
>>52713644
You don't pre-load crossbows, so it's up to your table.
>>
>>52709360
So on github there was a script for Roll20 that added a crap ton of monster character sheets to the game. When I went to use it on a new game it didn't exist.
Is it broke and is there a version up again? If not is there any similar scripts?
>>
>>52714990
>A vampire using a logical response to a retarded tactic would be lame
Good on you for having fun, I guess.
>>
>>52711608
I would swap Tasha's Hideous Laughter for Grease. And give some thought to Color Spray instead of Sleep.
>>
>>52715681
Actually THL might be better then Grease, I'll take that instead.

Any reason you think Colour Spray over Sleep? The main advantage I've always found with Sleep is it auto takes out at least two people for a minute. You then just focus on the remaining ones and kill the sleepers one by one.
>>
>>52713698
TWF on PHB 195 explicitly states that you need two light melee weapons.
>>
Is 5e actually a good system to run with?
>>
>>52715724
Sleep is best used towards the end of an encounter, turn three or four, on enemies that have been softened up a bit. Color Spray is best cast as early as possible round one, and allows the party to wreck things with ranged attacks. Color Spray also works on elves, like drow. And finally 6d10hp blinded is better than 5d8hp unconscious, as there is no "wake up" action for blinded. Sleep is better if Stealth or non-lethal means are desired, though.
>>
>>52715799
Yes, it's really easy, and you can just pull things out of your ass if you want to.
>>
>>52715808
Now you've got me in a bind. I mean both spells are unlikely to remain useful Level 3+ much so it's mostly around lower levels. Looking at most of the generic threats a low level party fights stuff with 7-15 HP seems most common.

Sleep averages 22.5 and Colour Spray 33. So Sleep takes out about 3-1 creatures for a whole minute and Colour Spray blinds 4-2 for one round. I really still feel Sleep is better, being able to take out 1 less enemy for 1 minute seems pretty good compared to blinding for one round.

Plus with clever targeting you can use Sleep to take the biggest creature out with no save while you mop up weaker things. I think I'll go with Sleep because it just seems better to me and I prefer it flavorwise over rainbow beams.
>>
>>52715808
Counterpoint: color spray only lasts 1 round and so is utter trash.
>>
>>52715917
>>52715913
It's also a cone rather than a 90ft range 20x20 area.
>>
>>52715828
The ease of asspulling in 5e really can't be overstated. By the time we got to level 20 in our campaign, our DM basically knocked together a list of 3 class-speciic epic boons for every class in like an hour and a half. Shit was great.
>>
>>52715724
I don't know why everyone always assumes the sleepers won't be woken up. The advantage with color spray is it lasts until the end of your next turn instead of until the start of the next enemy's turn potentially. As a combat spell, anyway.
>>
>>52709767
Ring Of Spell Turning

Also, maybe a ring of Spell Storing with couple of Silence, or Dispel magic inside of it
>>
>>52715990
If they are woken up then another enemy wasted their turn doing so, wasting a turn is better then Disadvantage on an Attack.

That's assuming you took out half or less and there's enough other creatures to wake them all up in one turn without being murdered or hit by opportunity attacks.
>>
>>52709777
A literal dungeon is surprisingly useful. Lets you take live prisoners.
>>
>>52715990
Well they fall unconscious which means they're Prone, they drop everything they're holding, they auto fail SRT and DEX Saves and any melee hit against them is an Auto-Crit.
>>
>>52715828
>>52715958
Would this be more of a positive or negative thing though?
>>
>>52716145
Dude with the epic boon DM here. It was a really good thing for us because our DM was competent and only asspulled cool stuff instead of using it to fuck us over (he did make things damn hard for us, but never with asspulls that I can recall). I think it's a really good tool for competent DMs, but gives another avenue for shit DMs to fuck you over. Since shit DMs are bad even with systems that are harder to make stuff up for, I think it's a good tradeoff.
>>
>>52715799
It's easy to run and as long as you're not retarded and can keep to the basic design philosophy you can see in the game then it's easy to homebrew.

There's some weird rules the DM has to make a call on to determine what the fuck happens but most of the time it's "Make the obscenely powerful" or "Make this obscenely weak", so just be careful with those.
>>
>>52716030
That's one turn wasted with potentially no offensive benefit to you, which seems like the better tactical move than leaving your friend asleep for the whole fight. Maybe you save your friend from skipping his next turn too.

>>52716119
Which means ranged attacks get no benefit and the condition ends after it takes damage so it's only for one hit, or a friend can end it.

I'm not saying color spray is good, or sleep is bad, just that sleep is not '1 minute hard CC' or 'might as well be dead' good.
>>
>>52714990
A vampire by the books has several methods to avoid this.

They can turn a failed save into a passed save three times per day (to avoid being grappled, or taking damage from the spikes). When you grapple someone, I think you have to drag them on your own square (anything else would be extremely hard, you'd need to stretch your arms which would make for a really weak grapple position).
Also I believe the spike thing is wholly houseruled, and by this story it seems really broken. (A normal vampire has around 140 HP)

Vampires also have a mist form they can use swiftly.

In either case, the vampire in question must be a pussy ass vampire.
>>
>>52716177
Cool, good points dude. I could definitely use your points to nudge our group into giving 5e a go. We're all pretty competent or we'd like to think so, nah really we're all not retards so that helps.

>>52716203
Cool, sounds good. What's the design philosophy to keep in mind by the way?

And what are the weird rules DMs need to make a judgement call on, just so we're in top of things?
>>
>>52714878
What are these "spikes" that do 288 damage?
How does a dwarf move 40ft. with a 25ft. move speed and having his move speed halved by dragging a grappled creature
how does the dwarf not take damage
>>
>>52716273
Legendary resistances let you succeed on saving throws. A grapple is a contested Athletics vs Athletics/Acrobatics CHECK so legendary resistance doesn't apply
>>
File: 1491347859533.jpg (225KB, 1500x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1491347859533.jpg
225KB, 1500x1060px
So I regularly see mention that 5e has a lot of room for flexing and is incredibly homebrew friendly. Are there guidelines for creating your own races? I'd very much like to create and play a character from a race of what are basically catfish people like the pic here, but I don't want it to be super out of line with the races already in the game.
>>
>>52716343
Fuck I messed up that damage really bad.
>>
>>52716273
>to avoid being grappled, or taking damage from the spikes
Athletics Check and Spike Growth gives no Save.

>I think you have to drag them on your own square
No rule for that.

>Spike damage
2d4 per 5 feet for 40 feet. So that's 16d4 averaging 40 damage. He might have done it over a few turns? Doesn't sound like it though.

>>52716301
>Spike Growth
>Running alongside the pit
He sounds like a Druid or Ranger so maybe a speed boost spell like Longstrider, a magic item and a dash?

The Vampire does turn into mist and the damage is too low for 1 round but other then that this seems possible.

Grapple and Spike Growth has been a thing since 5e first came out. Works amazing on Moon Druids who turn into something with high speed and strength.
>>
>>52716412
Spike Growth would
a) cause it to be difficult terrain so the 25ft. move dwarf could move (half from grapple, half again from difficult) 6.25 feet move
b) deal just as much damage to the dwarf. Considering the vamp has 144 hp AND resistance to nonmagical piercing the dwarf would die first.

The story is simply pure fabrication.
>>
>>52716412
Well fuck a level 3 Moon Druid can spend the first round casting Spike Growth and then Wildshaping into a Giant Hyena

Next turn attack and drag 50 feet 20d4 damage and can repeat that every turn.

Fuck.
>>
>>52716458
You move on the outside edge of it while holding the Vampire in I'm pretty sure. I've seen the trick in theory crafting threads but if you can find something that proves me wrong I'll be happy to know it's not as broken as it seems.
>>
>>52716459
YOU MOVE AT HALF SPEED WHEN GRAPPLING

The hyena could only move at 25ft.

Good fucking luck maintaining concentration with an AC of 12
>>52716471
Yeah thats bullshit. You also simply couldn't deal enough damage to the vampire. He has resistance to the damage AND regenerates 20hp. The vampire would just laugh at you, grapple you back and then bite your dumbass twice a round and regenerate all the spike growth damage back
>>
Why is Guardian of Faith such a shitty, useless spell? Am I missing something?
>>
>>52716458
I don't think it's a fabrication, I just think that their DM is a drooling retard. They would probably be able to kill Tiamat with the same "trick".
>>
>>52716523
The point is Spike Growth drag is a real trick. A Beatmaster Ranger is the best in the game at it. Being able to do it to two enemies while the Ranger double dashes and his pet Dashes. It's main use is against creatures that are nothing but big bloated HP sinks, rather then ones with actual conditional things you have to do to kill it.

Against a Vampire it's not likely to work because he just turns into mist when he dies anyway, but against a lot of things in the game it's pure rape.

Also that Moon Druid one had him dashing I imagine and it's a Giant Hyena.
>>
>>52716545
It lasts for 8 hours.
>>52716566
Tiamat is Gargantuan and PC's are MEdium/Small. As Gargantuan is more than one size category larger than MEdium/Small, PCs are unable to grapple Tiamat
>>
>>52716545
It's a niche spell. Cast it at an entrance you are trying to protect and it's there for 8 hours
>>
File: 5eRaceAnalysisCreationGuide.pdf (151KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5eRaceAnalysisCreationGuide.pdf
151KB, 1x1px
>>52716339
Here.
>>
>>52716597
Well... A polymorph spell and an up-casted spike growth could do a considerable dent into her HP. More them what most casters can do against her.

So get someone to cast level 7+ Spike Growth and someone to cast a True Polymorph on you. Maybe even an Enlarge after that if you have 3 casters to buff this guy.

Turn into a Giant White Dragon, grapple her drag 40 feet for 16d4 which is nothing. Next turn dash for 160 Flying and drag her for 62d4.

At that point you've averaged 195 with 156 more coming each round. You have +8 Strength and Advantage and Tiamat has +10 and you still have a party doing whatever they can and healing you.

It's not perfect but this is does give a decent chance of beating Tiamat with 4 people.
>>
Thoughts on allowing 'non-standard' mental ability scores for casting classes, provided that the score makes sense for the class and any PCs who make use of this are forbidden to multiclass?

EG intelligence warlocks, wisdom paladins and that kind of thing.
>>
>>52716753
Its not going to break anything, but wis is a better stat than int and charisma
>>
>>52713628
Technically you'd be slightly better off using a great axe, for those extra crit die
>>
>>52716718
Alright. I think I've ironed out the kinks. You need a Bard and either a Wizard or another Bard.

This starts with the Wizard or a Bard casting True Polymorph into an ancient Dragon. Then the other casts Foresight for all those Advantages. You fly over and grapple and then even shove her prone while a Bard casts a 7th level Spike Growth.

Basically goes how I said before with you getting Bardic Inspiration and Healed while she gets Cutting Words and hopefully beaten up by martial (Paladin works best).

I know there's a ton of ways to beat her but this one that works with 2 casters and 1 extra and the only requirement is a Bard and the other caster needs to know True Polymorph.
>>
Castle Naerytar we had that elf boss, my Pally managed to coupe de grace him on a crit after after he was effected by Tasha's Hideous Laughter by our wizard.
>>
>>52716883
How do you deal with legendary resistance/5 though?
>>
>>52717015
She doesn't make a single save there. Spike Growth is auto damage.
>>
File: BattletoadsCover.jpg (3MB, 1534x2100px) Image search: [Google]
BattletoadsCover.jpg
3MB, 1534x2100px
>>52710235
>>
>>52716883
Cutting word wont work on her (charmed immunity).

Tiamat can also still attack those nearby with her basic attacks, and those further away with her breath attacks.

But it's probably still a good strategy, especially if you only have three characters to boot up.
>>
>>52710235
I like them, but I don't use them because I want to represent them with miniatures.
>>
Is infravision a thing again in 5e?
>>
>>52716883
Why not just true polymorph the whole party into dragons anyway, I mean it doesn't need to be complicated. Have some chump wizard dispel it afterwards if you don't wanna be a dragon.
>>
>>52712641
>Long term madness needs greater restoration to cure it
Oh, right.
>>
>>52713528
Click the linked chains in the corner.
>>
Are people who play druid more often than not furries?
>>
>>52716718
What do you do when tiamat just grapples you back
>>
>>52716718
Grappling Halves your movement
If you fly then so does tiamat so no spike damage
Tiamat is immune to non magical damage so she takes 0 spike damage
>>
>>52717505
Because Tabaxi suck unless you're doing Sonic the Cat build or a super fast Assassin.

Seriously though, get a Wizard to cast Haste, get Alert and then your Assassin can run 120 feet past everyone in order to stab someone and then hide behind a desk.

>>52717552
Advantage on Athletics checks from Foresight if you read the refined version. Gives your +8 a solid chance of beating her +10

>>52717567
Dash action every turn after first grapple, Fly while dragging her beneath you and you're casting a level 7 spike growth to get past her magic immunity.
>>
>>52717186
Rtfm.

Cunt
>>
Can you guys recommend a good phone/tablet app for spell cards? Bonus points if it accounts for multiclassing.
>>
Excuse me folks, I haven't played dnd since 3.5 but some friends wanted to start a party for 5e and it sounds fun.

I'm thinking about a trickery cleric to shit around and waffling on how to do it. Full cleric? Rogue dip?

How would you build it?
>>
>>52717601
Full Cleric with a bow. Wood Elf works well for the Longbow proficiency.

Then you can use your Illusion to deliver healing and damage spells while you stay at range nice and safe.
>>
>>52714990

Ahh so your GM was being a useless scrub who just treated a Vampire as a sack of meatpoints.
>>
>>52717586
Tiamat is IMMUNE to nonmagical damage. Spike growth is a spell but it does nonmagical piercing so she is immune to it
>>
>>52717636
Can you please tell me where Spike Growth is nonmagic? It just says Piercing damage and as a spell it's inherently magical
>>
>>52717601
>>52717612
Sounds good, seems a shame that no race comes with a crossbow (hand or heavy) proficiency though lol.
>>
>>52717636
>>52717654
What level is spike growth?
>>
>>52717722
2 but you up cast it at 7. Any spell can be cast at a higher level to count as a spell as that level, just most scale.
>>
>>52717739
You could also cast it at level 9 if you're a
M A D M A N
A
D

M
A
N
>>
>>52717720
You could be a Drow for hand crossbow but they're not very good.

A cleric only needs a 1d8 weapon because the investment for a 1d10 one isn't worth the +1 damage it gives.

>>52717755
Why would you?
>>
>>52717654
Hmm.

Crawford has said "the direct damage of a spell is magical". Is Spike Growth "direct damage"? I think it is indirect damage as the conjured effect is what causes the damage.
>>
>>52717760
Fair enough.
>>
>>52717791
It's damage, done by the spell.

I have a feeling he's talking about things like dropping someone with telekinesis. Not "Well the fireball was only the little bead, so the fire's nonmagical fire because it's not that bead".

I know this is the time where the dickhead troll enters the thread so unless you can give me a valid reason why the damage a spell does won't count, I won't respond even if you aren't him.
>>
How should I play shadow monk and what's the best race for it?
>>
>>52717831
>How should I play shadow monk
*teleports into your shadow* Pssshhh nothin personnel kid
>what's the best race for it
Fallen aasimar
>>
>>52717815
Well excuse me for having a discussion
>>
>>52717791
It's not even a conjured effect, it's warping the ground into magical spikes that deal damage. Read the fucking spell.
>>
Great /5eg/ is in full autist mode, I guess it's time to wait until a new thread is created rather than try to compete
>>
>>52717917
It's this time and the next rough 10 hours. Luckily it's time for me to go pass out for 10 hours.

Goodnight thread and for fucksake just learn to ignore people who seem too dumb to be real.
>>
>>52717831
Warlock 2 multiclass, pick up the ability to see in the dark.
>>
Olidammara cleric best cleric
>>
>>52718111

That's not Yondalla cleric
>>
Oghma best god.
>>
>>52718208

>Stolen from the Celtic Pantheon
>doesn't do shit
>patron of meme bards
>neutral

Yeah no he's shit
>>
Yall muthafuckas need nerull.
>>
>>52718304

I'd definitely support Nerull replacing Kelemvor or maybe having Myrkul coming back and taking back his portfolio.

Kelemvor and Raven Queen are worst gods
>>
>>52714988
A house that is a genie would be quite interesting.
>>
>>52717791
It doesn't matter when the immunity is to nonmagic weapons preerrata and nonmagical attacks posterrata. Her spell immunity is more relevant.
>>
>>52718383

Regardless, letting a PC drag Tiamat through spike growth is beyond stupid.

She's much larger and heavier than an ancient Dragon and should be basically immovable should she desire to be
>>
>>52710534

That's a great idea. If you have 3-4 players available week-to-week, there's no reason you can't play every week.

I would say 3 is the minimum for a party, but I bet you could do 2 in a pinch.
>>
>>52711006
Duh. Still needs summoned armor though. Can't have a real henshin without it.
>>
>>52718371
Ok, but do you still have to rub its lamp to get wishes?
>>
>>52711187
Detect Illegal Alien
>>
The categories of armor don't make any sense. Why is a fighter in full plate able to run as fast as a fighter in nothing at all?

To fix this, how does this general rule sound?

>Armor is heavy. When you take the dash action, your movement speed is increased by your movement speed, minus 5 feet for each level of armor weight. An unarmored character experiences no penalty, a lightly armored character experiences a 5 foot penalty, a medium armored character experiences a 10 foot penalty, and a heavily armored character experiences a 15 foot penalty.
>>
>>52711670
Mount Dorf can do it.
>>
>>52718451
That's still the classic pact of the blade, armor of shadows, mask of many faces, false life/armor of agathys, plus fire shield if you're really serious.
>>
>>52718475
Armor really isn't that heavy.
>>
>>52718475
Fuck off.
>>
>>52715592
Great if you incorporate some sort of action points/hero points.

The ritual casting alone makes it a lot better than 3.5.
>>
>>52718475
Armour wieghs ver little and honestly doesn't hinder you much. The older editions where you could still add DEX to plate were honestly right.

Besides the penalty is that without 15 STR you mover slower then normal. A knight would've had 13-16 Strength back in the day and most moved alright
>>
>>52718506
No, it's definitely heavy. I know that most armor mobility penalties are largely exaggerated and divorced from reality, but the guy wearing 70-100 pounds of plate armor is not going to be outsprinting Usain Bolt in a track suit.
>>
>>52718475
You already need strength to ignore the speed decrease of armour.

A more logical solution would be to give heavy armour an always-on -10ft speed and make strength increase your speed by 5ft for every +1 modifier. Also remove barbarian's +10ft speed movement.

But that would make dex barbarians worse, buff paladins and fighters would end up being able to shed 1 AC in order to go fast.

The game pretty much already gives you speed boosts depending on your class (Rogue, barbarian, monk) rather than trying to penalize you for particular armours.
>>
>>52718475

>gimping martials even more

Not even going to pull out the lame SCA style videos about guys in full plate doing gymnastics.

Chain Cuirass is legitimately fairly encumbering but martial who wear heavy armor have probably trained with it for years.
>>
>>52718454
Yes but the only thing you can wish for is "turn on this lamp".
>>
>>52710057
Not all paladins are good.

However, 5e's standard of alignment is relating to personality - 'evil' can basically just mean 'selfish', unless it's a more objective evil such as a devil which is 'evil' no matter what and being selfish is just part of its nature along with evil that actually needs eradicating rather than just 'selfishness'.
>>
>>52718557
I could make it a bonus to unarmored instead of a penalty. The main thing is that there has to be some differentiation. Right now the only reason to ever go unarmored is because your class has a specific bonus to it, which is shitty design. Also, the aforementioned Track Suits vs. Plate thing is kind of annoying now that I noticed it.
>>
>>52718544

But that's wrong, full plate would weight somewhere in between 15 and 25 kilos (or roughly 50 pounds at it's heaviest).

Modern soldiers routinely have to carry around much heavier weight gear.
>>
>>52718544
>Is not going to be outsprinting Usain Bolt
Says who? This is a fantasy land. You just need to combine enough +speed features to outrun him. People will still complain that their monk without supernatural boosts doesn't move as fast as Usain Bolt while wearing nothing while being able to turn in no time at all, punch people in the face, talk, do flips and all sorts of shit while moving their movement speed, but that's not the point.
>>
>>52718593
If you use Dexterity you use medium, if you're strong you use heavy. If you have neither you use light and if you have none then you wear none.

In a combat situation you can damn well bet everyone's going to be using the best defence they have. It's only Fighters, Paladins and Clerics who get heavy armour anyway.
>>
>>52718593

Honestly it shouldn't really impact tactical speed as much as it already does.

Sprint speed and endurance are definitely going to take a hit but most of the time you aren't sprinting in combat.
>>
>>52710235
Im running a one shot set on a spelljammer with slaad as an alien proxy
>>
>>52718602
I misremembered my source. It's 50-70 pounds according to http://www.benjaminrose.com/post/mobility-in-medieval-plate-armor/.

Still enough to slow you down while sprinting

>>52718620
And a mild speed penalty to the dash action isn't going to stop the min/maxer from outsprinting Usain Bolt, but it will add some sanity to combat for most cases.

>>52718630
For endurance, I don't think the standard DnD fight lasts long enough to fatigue a plate user. I'm not trying to affect normal movespeed, only those rare situations where the party's heavy takes the dash action.
>>
>>52718666
What you really should be asking yourself is why this would be something you want to be in the game even if it was realistic.

And then once you've done that you should go back to playing 3.5.
>>
Remove gnomebab.
>>
>>52718684
>>52718684
>What you really should be asking yourself is why this would be something you want to be in the game even if it was realistic.

I'm working on a barbarian rework. I'd like to make room for diverse character builds, so I need to retool the Unarmored Defense to be a bonus applicable to all character builds. It struck me that without any of the features saying "wear no armor or suck", there's no reason to play an unarmored barbarian (or monk). Like I said earlier, that's really shitty design.
>>
>>52718666

Pretty much all versions of D&D are strong on narrative and gamist elements. 3.x is probably the most simulationist but even then it's simulating superheroes not real world combat physics.

You seem like you need something more like GURPs or Harnmaster.
>>
File: 1.jpg (196KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
196KB, 1280x960px
Is a half-orc barb that much better than a mountain dwarf?
>>
>>52718736
I don't think "a guy wearing heavy armor should be slightly slower than a guy wearing no armor" is getting simulationist to the point where you need GURPS. Anyways, I'm sticking with 5e, so don't bother recommending other systems.
>>
>>52718719
>no reason to play an unarmored monk
fucking what

Also barbarians can get higher AC unarmored than armored, what are you talking about?
>>
>>52718765
"without any of the features saying 'wear no armor or suck', (Translator's Note: Like Unarmored Defense, Rage limits) there's no reason to play an unarmored barbarian (or monk)"
>>
>>52718754

Half-orc Barbarian is full on trope at this point which has elements of fun attached to it.

Mountain Dorf is solid mechanically but seems like a poor fit mechanically unless you go Battlerager.
>>
>>52718827
What's a poor fit with Mountain Dorf? It seems like they'd have everything you'd want. That said the Orc's crit thing is pretty damn incredible when stacked with savage attack and the barbarians own crit multiplier.
>>
>>52718666
>And a mild speed penalty to the dash action isn't going to stop the min/maxer from outsprinting Usain Bolt
Do you actually know how fast Usain Bolt sprints? He moved 328 feet in 9.9 seconds, which is a little over a round and a half. A 5e character in full plate, with Mobile and 15 Str, using, say, action surge + cunning action to quad-dash would move 160ft on one round, and then 60ft in the first half of the second round. That's 220ft, still quite a bit slower than Bolt.
That's literally top speed for a (non Wood Elf, non-Tabaxi, non-magic using) plate armoured person, and it would require a significant amount of training, as represented by their 2 levels in rogue, 2 levels in fighter, their feat and their physical strength being above average.
>>
>>52718935
Yeah, that's mostly a problem with the system being supposedly balanced around heroic martial feats, but in reality being balanced around crawford's middle school track team.
>>
>>52718956
Don't bother posting if you can't even come up with new bait after all this time.
>>
>>52719060
new
>>
>>52718956

Yo virt how's it been?
>>
>>52719031
Why are "known problems with the system, how fix" posts considered b8 in this general? Are you that insecure you must believe that nobody sincerely has mild disagreements with how the system came out?
>>
>>52719079
What's the problem there, though?
>>
>>52718956
Dunno man. Yestarday I managed to grapple away my hafling friend from Empyrean and throw him into the goal along with the ball he was holding.
Also 4 lvl 14 characters can beat 1 empyrean in a football game. Beat him 5:1
>>
>>52719091
That a game ostensibly about fantastic heroics is balanced around things that aren't fantastic or heroic for one class of players, and not for another. It really sucks to play a martial this edition.
>>
>>52719079

Pro-tip- 5e is not trying to simulate the real world.

It's a gamist abstraction meant to provide a fun game to play with friends without relying on lots of charts.

But if it's not suitably heroic then just change the base movement rates to 40 and be done with the whining.
>>
>>52719120
Hey, I hope this doesn't sound dumb because I haven't read the entirety of your guys' argument, but playing a martial is really fun. As a battlemaster/thief, I consistently contribute more to the fight than wizard and druid, who stay back and lob grenades at things. Maybe being a martial puts you into a more creative mindset, as the wizard and druid never think to just knock someone down and handcuff them, opting instead for lobbing fireballs and spike growth.
>>
>>52719147
I'm not asking it to simulate the world anon. I'm asking it to suitably represent a fantastic world. And right now it doesn't.

Again, expecting a slight difference in sprinting speeds for armor is not that simulationist. It's just common sense.
>>
>>52719169
So I can't blame you for not being in that last thread this guy threw this exact same tantrum in because it was some time ago, but you really shouldn't be responding.
>>
>>52719169
Don't do it you sweet innocent child. Virt's here and he's basically king of the shit posts.
>>
>>52719169
Hey man, that's cool. In my experience, it is possible to succeed as a martial, but you have to be playing a whole nother level compared to a caster, and a caster who is equally creative would blow you out of the water.

This is the main balance issue actually.
>>
>>52710808
Depends a lot on the city and part of the city they want to live in. The house the party is going to inherit at the start of the campaign is worth, just as property, 10000gp, as its a three-story manorhouse in a relatively nice part of town. The property tax is 15% per year, which they can pay monthly or in one lump sum.
>>
>>52719177
If you don't have the required strength to overcome this limitation (15), you do run slower. If you really need more stuff, just use the encumbrance variant rule.
>>
File: 1491344702289.png (5KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491344702289.png
5KB, 266x189px
>>52718807
>Monk wears armor looses unarmored movement class feature and unarmored defense
>Barbarian wears armor that would be better than unarmored defense
>Looses fast movement

Its almost like you have no idea what you're talking about and are an autist here to shitpost.
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.