[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 418
Thread images: 35

File: bayard-wu-hunting.jpg (300KB, 1024x1430px) Image search: [Google]
bayard-wu-hunting.jpg
300KB, 1024x1430px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Downtime:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_Downtime.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/db43d70dde08

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
>>52694739
>>
Where in the player's handbook does it say that rangers get advantage on all rolls in their favored terrain?
>>
>>52701844
You dont, you get double prof to Int and Wis checks related to your terrain.
>>
>>52701864
Then where the fuck do ranger players keep getting that idea from? I've heard two different people suggest it now.
>>
If you were to change spells that last 1 minute to 'lasts for two rounds of combat' or for one combat round, how bad would you fuck up the balance?

If that's not an option how do you usually keep track of small amounts of time like minutes?
>>
>>52701870
Prolly confusing it with advatage from Favored Enemy or some of the stuff revised ranger gets.

Shit like that happens in my group too. I had 4 seperate people and myself thinking that sleeping in heavy armor penalized you but turns out there is nothing like that but i swear i read it in the PHB and wasnt just remembering 3.5
>>
>>52701870
Also it's what Laura off Critical Role thinks favored terrain does so probably started spreading from there.
>>
>>52701902
A round is 6 seconds, a spell lasting a minute would last 10 combat rounds. Combat doesn't usually last that long.
Outside of combat is someone casts a spell with a duration of a minute, there's probably a specific action they're trying to do while the spell is active and so we resolve it, and I decide if the action took a minute, or more.
>>
Question: Is Fighter 14/Kensei Monk 6 multiclassing as broken as I think it is?
>>
>>52701944
I was just confused about the word round but after double checking it makes sense. Combatants take turns in the round.
>>
>>52701902
Probably majorly, spells lasting a minute you want lasting for more than 12 seconds. Hold person is one. There would be much fewer applications. Spells such as spiritual weapon, would just not be good. Basically the selection of spells everyone picks would go to instant spells. Nobody would pick concentration spells that don't last either hours cause it takes an action and only lasts for a for this turn, the turn you used your action on, and the next.
>>
>>52701957
>Multiclassing UA
What do you think?
>>
>>52701957
No it's not.
>>
>>52701982
That is a fair point.
>>
>>52701991
I mean, most of the insanity stems from unclear language/miswriting in the Kensei Monk's first ability that says that all weapons you are proficient in (Read as: All weapons when you fighter multi-class) are considered Kensei weapons.
>>
>>52701902
Spells that last for one minute already last for 10 rounds of combat. One round = 6 seconds.
>>
>>52701991
And, on top of that, the Magic Weapons feature that Kensei monks get AND the almost constant +2 bonus to your AC while in combat if you spend your bonus action doing an unarmed strike.
>>
>>52702016
Probably not that bad still, the most you will be doing is 2d6 reroll 1s, you get a Punch attack but that's at the cost of not second winding or bonus actions that come with being a fighter.

What I think the biggest bonus to the Kensai is forgoing weapon attacks for +2 AC. They attack with an unarmed strike instead of their weapon. At those higher levels you have to choose between 7d6 reroll 1s and 2s plus mods or 4d6 plus mods. You either cut your damage by a lot, not using your magic weapon, or gain a measly 2 AC.

Full monks get the bonus cause it's 2d10 plus mods.

It's not insane like you think it is, you are a d8 hit dice with a big weapon, Paladins kill faster and fighters kill longer. The multiclass is nothing special.
>>
>>52702082
Yep. I was just being retarded and I'm new to this, I've played two whopping sessions. I mixed the terms of round and turn.
>>
Are there any good youtube channels/series of people playing 5th ed? I want to see what's new but would also like to see it in action rather than watching people list off what's new.
>>
>>52702177
Critical Role
>>
>>52702158
Fair enough. Though, I do appreciate the near universal Finesse, as that just sounds great in general. Not to mention that the 5 - 6 ability score increases means your save DC for Stunning Strike can be massive.
>>
>>52702177
What >>52702231 said but keep in mind they have switched from 3.5 so it might be slightly off, also Tiberius is a metagaming douche canoe who needs to be in the spotlight in some way or another during each session. Although he only lasts for I think 20 or so episodes before leaving being kicked off.

Another one to check might be Force Grey Giant Hunters, I've heard the something Incorporated isn't too bad.
>>
>>52702269
I personally plan to make a strength bow user in the future. It's a good idea, I look forward to its official publish.
>>
>>52702292
>>52702292
I'm coming from 3.5 too , haven't done any gaming for years but want to get back into it. Did do a 4th ed campaign but I really disliked the combat.

Thanks though I'll have a look at critical role.
>>
>>52702336
The thought's not bad. All the power to you. Hope it scopes out well when it gets published officially.
>>
>>52702336
>Strength now user

I understand the concept but my question is it going to be exactly like a regular bow user and if so why make it?
>>
>>52702292
Even when Tiberius leaves, Mercer's wife also tends to meta game quite a lot.
>>
check these results cucks

https://strawpoll.com/d5ygf11

https://strawpoll.com/z6wx4x4
>>
>>52702359
Main reason I keep watching Mercer the DM, Travis and Sam the others are decent players but those two really stand out in RP and play
>>
>>52702397
What's wrong with Tyranny of Dragons?
>>
>>52702382
Yeah she has been getting worse, hell last night she tried to randomly roll an insight to see what Percy had seen in the scrying orb. Mercer luckily is cracking down on it more and said "why would you have any reason to do that?" So she changed the question to "if it had worked" everyone knew where she was trying to take it but Talisen is just better at RPing and made it vague to where she couldn't do a thing.

Also doesn't help when she gets a little drunker than necessary during the breaks, especially during stressful fights.
>>
>>52702446
Yeah I was watching that bit last night too. Hilarious how the entire cast just sighed and gave her that "oh come on" look.
>>
>>52702369
Cause maybe I want to wield a bow and not be dexterity focused. Just a character concept.
>>
>>52702424
It's not Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>52702382
Marisha is really the only person that brings the show down. She's the stereotypical "GM's girlfriend." You can tell she's only there because Matt is and not because she's really friends with the other players. She's never there whenever the rest of the cast gets together to do something without Mercer.
>>
>>52702424
I can only speak for HoTDQ as the GM (spoilers obviously):

>linear as fuck, there is no choice built into the module, you just spend it chasing cultists
>fights that intend the party to fail right at the start of the adventure
>visit 3 major cities (elterel, bg, and waterdeep) with fuck all to do in any of them
>walk right by dragonspear castle with not even a mention on it
>50 day journey where nothing happens
>overtuned last dungeon because they made it before the MM and didnt fix it
>entire villian plot can be rendered useless if the players act in a way the module doesnt expect.

It feels like they wanted to make a tourist module to the sword coast, thats the only reasoni can think of to set the adventure in greenest and then make you walk to waterdeep.
>>
>>52702292
>Tiberius is a metagaming douche canoe who needs to be in the spotlight in some way or another during each session
Thats why I stopped watching mid first episode. Maybe I should just start on the episode he leaves
>>
Tell me about your elves in your settings, anons. I've got an entire elven civilization to build, and I've only come up with three paragraphs so far.

Also, any good settings that aren't FR or similar with decent amount of details on elves? I'm not ashamed to steal good material.
>>
>>52702511
Her and Taliesin are like, best friends or some shit my dude.
>>
>>52702599
Lord of the Rings
>>
>>52702617
I know, it's really amazing how the two worst members are best friends.
>>
>>52702177
High Rollers is pretty good, especially since most of the players are new.
>>
>>52702626
I suppose I could steal from LotR wholesale, but was hoping it'd be more interesting than that.
>>
>>52702631
>Implying Laura isn't a complete piece of shit to play with
>Implying Sam isn't LE RANDUMB XD BARD MAYMAY
>Implying Liam isn't pshh, nothing personnel kid

The only good member is Travis, and even then he's playing a literal retard.
>>
>>52702631
Honestly can't see anything wrong with Talesin's RP. Seems pretty good to me (although the character is basically himself).
At least he doesn't forcibly grab the spotlight for cringy monologues like Liam does. And aside from being cute as a button, Ashley isn't exactly the world's greatest roleplayer either.
I'd stick the three of them in the 'inoffensive' category. Not great, but not bad either.
>>
>>52702599
I like the material in Races Of The Wild and Dragon mag 279. Those are both kind of Greyhawk-y but make a solid jumping off point for elves. Good amount of detail and a lot of it is the "small stuff" that's so good for flavor.

You should have the google-fu to find PDFs of those online.
>>
>>52702673
If you get heavy into the lore of LotR, you can find some pretty dope shit. Granted, elder race tropes are kind of overdone because of the influence Tolkien had on the genre, but there are definitely historical points, leaders, or societal structures you can nab from the universe.
>>
Why didn't they just call "Sorcery Points" "Mana"?
>>
>>52702742
Because people would have bitched about it being an MMORPG or 'like wow' or something.
>>
>>52702564
You don't miss a huge amount so it wouldn't hurt

>>52702688
>Implying Sam isn't LE RANDUMB XD BARD MAYMAY

I don't really see how he's randumb, he plays a Casanova type and does it pretty well.
>>
>>52702768
Not that I don't enjoy Sam's shenanigans, but just off the top of my head:
>Penis lightning
>Songs that don't fit the tone of the moment
>Blue scrying shits
>>
>>52702599
>Tell me about your elves in your settings, anons
Aside from Eladrin, who escaped to the Feywild long ago, all pure elves are drawn to worship specific aspects of the natural world due to an ever-present ethereal song within their minds. For some, this is worse than others, to the point that the worst ones can barely function as people and get shipped off to a monastery on the coast.
This is the reason for there being all the different subraces of elves; they each have a different object of worship (ie the sun, the moon, the forests, the sea and, for drow, the underdark and lolth).
>>
I just realized something amazing: Kensei Monk with Tavern Brawler is amazing because you can beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker and have it be as effective as punching someone. Amazing.
>>
>>52702720
>>52702695
>>52702809

I'm starting with two elven houses--both high elves--in a sort-of cold war with one another; one house rules the elven capital, while the other has set up their own city further north on the map. The wood elves are separate from both, but often turn a blind-eye to the renegade, for want of a better term, elves raid the trade roads.

The conflict between the two houses started with what the renegade house feels is a betrayal, when the humans--their historical foe--and the "good" house allied to fight another human invader.

I also have some languages I've drummed up for elves (ancient, wood, high, and an "informal" tongue used with family and close friends), and a few details, like that both high and wood elves revere a special species of sacred tree (stolen, I think, from another setting, that).

Not much beyond that, as far as details so far.
>>
File: KGC3zZD.jpg (802KB, 1900x1464px) Image search: [Google]
KGC3zZD.jpg
802KB, 1900x1464px
I've been working on a pirat DnD campaign with a lot of islands and ship focused traveling and combat encounters.

I haven't really done much in that direction before. The players usually praised me for my music selection in previous adventures but I'm not sure if I hit the mark this time.

Here is a sample for ship travel
https://clyp.it/g25orvh4

Harbor town on an island
https://clyp.it/c2l5w2hu

ship combat
https://clyp.it/k2csjpsf

central pirate island
https://clyp.it/dx30rgnp
>>
>>52702631
With Talisen you can see he is straight up playing himself like >>52702692 said. He does it decently but it does get a little weird at times because that's just how Talisen is and you can see it with how no one is surprised by it. Already he has had decent character development where Liam, while ok, is still bipolar in the whole "life sucks what am I going to do I'm trapped" and "omg my girlfriend is the coolest"
>>
>>52702799
Penis lighting I will agree was a silly random thing, the songs I can see him trying to lighten the mood because everyone starts drinking heavy otherwise and it's always his mo for songs. The blue shits was Mercer, all Sam wanted was a scrying potion and that's what he was given and wen with it.

Although yeah I do see where you are coming from.
>>
>>52702907
The only time I felt that Scanlan was a well-done character was the snap that Sam played out, right when they were done with the Dragon arc.

The complete flip from fun-loving, shenanigan-doing Scanlan to fuck all of you for not knowing me Scanlan, with intermittent drug use to cope, was great.
>>
>>52702943
It was and why, to me, all the stuff before made sense he used comedy as a defense so he didn't have to deal with everything. He pretended to have it all together and kept that front up no matter what until right before snapping.

Also it was surprising to find out that no one knew anything about him, I figured Grog would atleast know something.
>>
>>52702292
I had trouble watching critical role because they spend so much time talking and extracting information and that's not how I like to play D&D at all
It's cool seeing voice actors get into a character and do social exchanges but even as background noise it really seems to drag on
>>
>>52703154
I found that the combat was what really dragged on. The character interactions are great, and the fact that Mercer can bring NPCs to life in a way that me or my DM cannot is what makes the social aspect of DnD fun in Critical Role.
>>
What are the best sword and board battlemaster maneuvers?
>>
>>52703181
I guess so. I just quickly learned that it wasn't for me. Perhaps it was the characters themselves I had trouble getting into.

Not a big deal, I'm glad something like it exists and lots of people enjoy it!
>>
>>52703154
Yeah I feel you there, the main reason I caught up is I ripped the audio and listened to it at work on my iPod. Now during those episodes I mostly sit and have it going while working on my campaign, what's funny is for being so thorough in trying to gather information they never have a plan. Even if they do its sketchy at best and goes to shit in minutes.

It was said best here right at the end: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tozi1a2p8u0
>>
>>52703201
Depends you trying to straight up tank or just want some good ones?
>>
>>52703201
Manuevering Strike
Goading Strike
Tripping (tho sm might cover this)
Disarming
Parry

I find mauevering to be the most useful in practice, numerous times ive gotten allies out of tight spots and we have been able to position effectively with it.
>>
>>52703201
Menacing Strike, Trip Attack are your bread and butters. Commander Strike and Riposte are dependent on if you also do the most weapon damage. If you do, Riposte, if you don't, Commander Strike.

Disarming strike you should fit in there somewhere if you often fight people who hold stuff.
>>
File: ha.jpg (75KB, 769x611px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
75KB, 769x611px
>>
>>52703292
I can never understand how some people get this worked up over stuff. That's a good 10ish minutes of pointless work to send that message (maybe 5 if they've had practice).
>>
>>52703292
why are people so rude?
>>
>>52703250
good tanky ones
>>
>>52703292
>People hate Keyleth this much

I get she's not the greatest and makes some objectively bad to terrible calls but how assblasted over it do you have to be to do this?
>>
>>52703342
Then this guy has a pretty solid selection >>52703267 especially goading and manuevering strike
>>
>>52703267
I like these.
Parry seems like the weakest as my dex is 10. Is rally not good? I'm planning to multiclass into probably green one warlock so I'm going to need cha anyway. Also can you use rally on yourself? You are a creature and you can see and hear yourself.
>>
So what should I charge for information on a magic item?

I'm thinking 1/10th the price with a reputable dealer. 50 gold to know where you can find a cloak of protection, either it's gonna be hitting the market in two weeks or there was an adventurer that never came back from such and such who had one.

Forgotten Realms setting so they definitely exist and they could be somewhere in the city, but it's not gonna be like a Walmart.
>>
>>52703434
>Magic mart
You are everything that's wrong with 5e.
>>
Is the goblin player race any good?
>>
>>52703402
Ah parry is wrong i was misremembering it

Rally is good id say.
>>
>>52703314
>>52703320
>>52703345
white knights lol
>>
>>52703458
I'd rate it as pretty decent.
Cast spells as your action then use your bonus action to hide.
>>
File: IMG_7058.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7058.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52702292
Acquisitions Inc. is fun but in no way reflective of a D&D session. It's 75% banter 25% Chris Perkins trying to rush through the time they have left and pretend they had an arc of some sort.

You come for the banter and you stay for the banter.

And it's kind of the Baileys of playthroughs, it overpowers whatever it's put with. They're the most well known party currently and now that they're operating out of the Yawning Portal they're a tourist attraction for other party's.

Dice Camera Action is accurate in its equal parts banter action and cheesyness. It's good homework for a DM that's running CoS or SKT but probably a little dull (if not spoiler heavy) for players.
>>
>>52703447
>but it's not gonna be like a Walmart.

You're what's wrong with 5e. Cause you don't fucking read. Pick up the PHB while you are at it.
>>
Are there any gods or factions inn FR who'd have a vested interested in fucking up the Giant Ordning?

Running SKT and I'm trying to come up with something to fill out the middle of the campaign.
>>
>>52703561
Clanneddin Silverbeard the Dwarven god of war probably wouldn't mind at all. May even give anyone working against the Giants a hand.
>>
>>52703561
There's always Mask
>>
>>52703556
http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2017/04/stronghold-expansion-traders-merchants.html
>>
>>52703217
>Perhaps it was the characters themselves I had trouble getting into.

Makes sense. Each one feels like a meme, in terms of the class and trope they're playing.

>Hurrdurr barbarian
>Edgelord rogue
>Meme bard
>Speshul snowflake gunslinger
>Purity cleric
>Meme ranger
>Hippy druid
>>
>>52703702
Racist druids are the best
>>
>>52703745
Ghey druids are better
>>
>>52703765
This is the worst forced meme since kobold dragon hunting party.
>>
File: 1482213829078.jpg (303KB, 893x541px) Image search: [Google]
1482213829078.jpg
303KB, 893x541px
>>52703478
Please Keyleth and by extension Marisha is arguably the worst part of that show, but to be this much of an autist is embarrassing and to a LA based group like them just makes them feel "empowered for overcoming the evil trolls online!"

It's more of poor form and just validates her own ego because she's "so strong and brave"
>>
>>52701870
From Revised Ranger UA which makes rangers' class abilities actually useful
>>
>>52703478

>pointing out that it's low-effort shit-talking at best is white knighting
>implying Marisha is even worth white knighting over
>>
>>52703779
I just realized the 'Druids are gay' guy hasn't posted in a while. Weird.
>>
>>52703920
It was good while it lasted
>>
>>52703765
How can you be better than the best?
>>
>>52703702
>Purity cleric
>Has slit someone's throat with a mace
>Actually encouraged whoring

Out of all she's the least of a meme but the others are pretty spot on.
>>
>>52703545
Some bits of DCA have been downright amazing though, you just gotta sit through the characters being colossally annoying shits sometimes.
>>
File: smug frog with dragonfly.jpg (53KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smug frog with dragonfly.jpg
53KB, 499x499px
>>52703920
He probably got banned.
>>
Is there a reason why a Necromancer can't outfit his minions with weapons and armor looted from enemies?
>>
>>52703780
>>52703803
>whiteknighting this hard

she won't spread her legs for you, you know
>>
>>52704039
>she won't spread her legs for you, you know

I should hope not, wouldn't want to cuck Matt like Taliesin is.
>>
>>52704017
MM has some clause saying most weapons and armor from monsters are considered too shit to be worth anything or useable (basically so you dont hand the party several sets of plate from an orog encounter)

But otherwise not really, tho determining if they have proficiency or not is up in the air.
>>
>>52701864
To be fair, double prof is advantage, it's just that they made it into this really finicky bullshit.
>>
File: 1487010461786.gif (906KB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
1487010461786.gif
906KB, 500x349px
>>52704056
>I should hope not, wouldn't want to cuck Matt like Taliesin is.

@52704039
Low effort bait at this point step up your game famalam
>>
>>52704071
+12 down the line is much better than advantage, I think.
>>
>>52704071
Advantage means 1/400 chance to totally fuck up, while 1/10 chance to do it perfect. Also it means you can throw them both on and I think that's easier than:

>ability score + Prof + Prof + 5

Less math test more dice rolling. I'm all for that.
>>
>>52704103
Advantage is equal to about a +5. Double Prof at 20 is a +12, so that's way way better.
>>
>>52704103
Pros to both but even double proficiency won't help if you have a pretty bad roll.
>>
>>52700517
>>52703802
My friend sperged out about how Revised Ranger Beastmaster is OP with a bunch of numbers and shit. Honestly it does need to get tweaked a bit because it is a bit op
>>
>>52704172
Past level 4, the double proficiency will pay off on any roll except a 1, which is a critical fail anyways.

Assuming 0 in the stat, which is extremely unlikely:

>levels 1-4, minimum 6
>levels 5-8, minimum 8
>levels 9-12, minimum 10
>levels 13-16 minimum 12
>levels 17-20, minimum 14

I would almost always take Expertise over Advantage, because the odds favour it so much.
>>
>>52704319
What's wrong with it specifically? Looked solid to me.
>>
>>52704319
It's only stupid strong if you let a player multiclass without tweaking it. But then that means you multiclassed with UA.
>>
Can someone explain why loremaster is broken? One of the guys in my group is playing one but so far has been pretty useless.
We're at level 5
>>
>>52704401
You get three attacks at level 5th level while fighters don't get three till 11th. You can have all humanoids as a Favored Enemy. Your beast adds prof bonus to damage.

To balance it I would put coordinated attack at 11th level and move the other two back respectively, limit it to 6 humanoids like the PHB
>>
File: cancer.jpg (153KB, 629x596px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
153KB, 629x596px
>>52704395
>which is a critical fail anyways.
Stop that.
Also your math is wrong anyway, so please stop posting.
>>
I hereby officially declare that Critical Role can now only be referred to as "Cringe Role" on /5eg/. If you do not abide by these rules I will report you.
>>
>>52704425
Cast hold person make it a strength or dex saving throw, which the target will auto fail because of the condition hold person imposes.
>>
>>52704497
>You get three attacks at level 5th level
No you don't, moron. Revised Ranger doesn't get Extra Attack.
>>
>>52704524
I see. I don't think he took hold person, if he had we wouldn't be so fucked up in our current encounter.
>>
>>52704533
Yes you do moron, Ranger gets one and beast companion (an extension of the character) gets two
>>
>>52704514
whoa slow down there buddy, I don't think I can handle that kind of edge
>>
>>52704533
>your attack
>beast attack
>beast reaction attack.

Four if you dual wield
>>
>>52704549
Another thing is ability to tailor saving throws to monsters weakness. Fighting a bunch of dumb enemies? All your saving throws are now Int based, fighting enemies with low Dex or Str? They now have to save using those stats, for a clever person, or someone who knows what they are doing with a wizard, it is insanely good.
>>
>>52704594
He is doing that at least for suggestion.
>>
>>52704616
Which has been the most useful thing, and AoE attacks.
>>
Do you guys know of any particular Old One that can be an enemy of Cthulhu?
I ask because I'm designing a warlock with an Old One for a patron, and I want him to be an enemy of a priest of Cthulhu for this very reason.
>>
>>52704616
>>52704632
Yeah it just sounds like he either isn't actively trying to abuse it, or hasn't realized the insane potential it has to fuck everything up.
>>
One of my players wants to use Polearm Master feat with a whip, is there some unexpected result if I let them do this?
>>
>>52704649
Look up any name from Lovecraft lore and just say they dislike each other.
>>
>>52704694
>Throw the handle of a whip at someone as a bonus action
>>
>>52704649
The King in Yellow, also known as Hastur.
>>
>>52704649
I ran of homebrew where the Lady of Pain and Cthulhu were ancient rivals who either one is in control or the other.

They believed the other was unkillable and it was simply who was locked away and who wasn't.
>>
>>52704710
Yeah I was gonna do that but just wanted to check, maybe you guys knew more like >>52704717 >>52704730

Thanks btw
>>
>>52704649
Azathoth, Shub-niggurath, Yog-sothoth
>>
>>52704500
>Stop that.
>Stop playing the rule as it was intended

>your math is wrong anyway
>except it's not but ok
>>
>>52704554
Nope. The ranger class does not get extra attack, you get a second attack as a hunter or an animal attack as a beast master.
>>
>>52704712
*derisive snort*
>>
>>52704694
Rogue can sneak attack on the reaction with it.
>>
>>52704763
>Stop playing the rule as it was intended
Show me where it says that natural 1s are critical fails.
>>
>>52704395
>nat 1s on skill checks are automatic failures
You silly bitch.
>>
>>52704694
What race is he playing?
>>
>>52704922
Cool idea, he's not a rogue however.

>>52704831
Halfelf I'm pretty sure.
>>
The last 5etools mirror got removed and now you faggots linked the other one.

It's only a matter of time. I hope someone is making more mirrors.
>>
>>52704963
He's a paladin?
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
What background would be best for a tournament knight - Soldier, Gladiator or Noble?
>>
So I'm rolling a Lizardman PC with a food-based feel. Sort of like a foreign chef who likes to use uncommon ingredients, taking the gourmand feat, etc.

What's a good class to play him as? I was figuring maybe a Monk, using drunken master? Trying to avoid stuff that the campaign already has a lot of, so I'm discouraged from making him a rogue or alchemist. Any other ideas?
>>
>>52705006
Variant Noble, which is Knight. Even gives you retainers like a tourney knight should have
>>
>>52705016
Druid. Finding balance in nature by finding balance in flavor.
>>
>>52705002
Yeah. I think I'll just let them do it, whips aren't very good.
>>
>>52704963
Slight potential for abuse if he's also gonna grab Sentinel and is a paladin
>>
>>52705016
Are you gonna take the UA feat?
>>
>>52705016
No idea on class but make sure you make foods out of every monster possible, Volos has some great stuff on lizardfolk personality
>>
>>52705016
Be a hunter ranger, become the ultimate predator.
>>
>>52705016
>Lizardman chef
Wouldn't that sort of be alien to them? They are more hunt and eat for survival than 'damn this shit tastes good, did Shrax make this?'
>>
>>52705170
>taking the gourmand feat, etc.
>>
>>52704717
SPEAK NOT THE NAME OF OUR SALLOW REGENT FOOL
>>
>>52705170
That was my intention, yeah. Our current campaign is somewhat based around seafaring and to my knowledge we don't have a cook currently.

>>52705098
>>52705175
>>52705205
Definitely some good ideas.

>>52705236
I just came up with the concept in the shower, funny voices, etc. But the idea was his food is going to be very alien itself.
"This kill from some time ago, but still good to eat, Villok hope. He make dish from bear, grass, and thorny cheese. You try, is good."
>>
>>52705151
More so than than those two feats with a pike or halberd?
>>
My DM wants to start fucking around with "wounds" mechanics and called shots.
I just know this will end in cancer if I just let them go willy nilly with house rulings, so are there any reasonable safe rules that won't fuck up my game but they will scratch the itch off their back?
>>
>>52705370
It's the same with either, although the pike and halberd will have a potential for slightly higher damage.
>>
a sorc can cast find familiar via scroll right
>>
>>52705570
No. If a scroll isn't on your spell list, it is illegible.
You can do it off a Ring of Spell Storing however.
>>
>>52705593
OH CRAP
>>
File: 1489466392892.jpg (51KB, 386x389px) Image search: [Google]
1489466392892.jpg
51KB, 386x389px
I WANT A SPRITE THO
NOT THE SODA
>>
>>52704801
see
>>52704574
Beast Master gets 3 attacks at 5th level (1 ranger, 2 beast) two of which get the proficiency bonus to damage and a potential trip if you go wolf
>>
>>52705317
Sounds kinda like how Bender from Futurama wanted to be a chef
Sorta out of the RAW version of Lizardfolk since Volo's says they wouldn't attribute the thought of 'good' or 'tasty' to food but rather think how food brings sustenance or pleasure but it could work
>>
>>52705619
You can Role-play for a familiar however. The process behind it is left up to the DM, but any Caster can get one the same way any fighter can get a magic sword
>>
>>52705753
ok i'll do that
>>
>>52705753
Not the same dude but can martials ever get a familiar?
>>
File: Yahoo-270x341.jpg (10KB, 270x341px) Image search: [Google]
Yahoo-270x341.jpg
10KB, 270x341px
>>52704742
Kthanid.

He's Cthulhu's brother, and is like a nice version of Cthulhu who sparkles in the light.

He hates his brother because Cthulhu slew Kthanid's family while he was sleeping, and Kthanid now rules his alien paradise, and looks after this beautiful Muvian princess who is totally hot, and totally wants to get on my, er, I mean Titus Crow's dick.

Crow's totally not just my self-insert you know!
>>
>>52705957
Magic Initiate Wizard.
>>
>>52705957
Does a magic talking sword count as a familiar.
>>
So I'll be playing a Lore Bard soon and I don't normally play spellcasters.
Are there any spells that are must-haves or things that I should stay on the lookout for when I get to choose my magical secrets?
I've heard suggestions of taking eldritch blast or low level spells.
Is this really what should be done? I always thought that magical secrets was a good way to expand the spell list and grab powerful spells you wouldn't normally get, intrinsically leading me to thinking of higher level spells to take.
Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>52705743
>Sorta out of the RAW version of Lizardfolk since Volo's says they wouldn't attribute the thought of 'good' or 'tasty' to food but rather think how food brings sustenance or pleasure but it could work

That makes it even better. He can't wrap his head around things like "presentation," or "taste." But by Semuanya he's going to try!
>>
>>52706033
Really depends on what the rest of your party consists of.
>>
>>52705675
>uses Heart Seeker on you
>"M-master, you want to do WHAT to my tiny feet??"
>>
>>52706033

EB might be a good idea if your party is lacking on damage, not so great if it isn't and you could get something else for your trouble.
>>
>>52706035
That's definitely similar to what I was going to go for!

Would it be too far out of line to say he wants to better understand human thinking, so he uses food as a way to maybe instill unfamiliar emotions, in an attempt to connect with them? Taking "the way to someone's hart is through their stomach" literally?
>>
>>52705317
>"Villok understand cuisine now. He read book. He knows presentation is important, so I have placed a plant on your meal."
>"Um, Villok, it's meant to be a sprig of parsley. Not a shambling mound."
>"Shambling mound better. More roughage."
>>
>>52706093
We've got two rangers for consistent damage, an eldritch knight for a front liner tank, and a sorcerer for that good magic shit.
The thing I was going for was utility spells and skill monkeying. I want to make it really easy for my party to kill without actually making it look like I'm the one killing the enemies. I've got things like sleep, tasha's, and hold person. The only damage spells I have is heat metal (casting it on their weapons to disarm them or their armor for consistent disadvantage) and dissonant whispers because it's really good and provokes AoO
>>
>>52706135
poor Villok
he'll get it right someday
>>
>>52706135
>"Villok jailed by soft ones. Told he is cannibal. Villok not understand. Villok thinks human who eat humans cannibal. Villok not human, Villok eats human. Villok not cannibal, just hungry."
>>
>tfw searching for a good roll20 game for a week now
>tfw everything I see is literally red flags, everywhere
Getting pretty desperate desu
>>
>>52706191
make some friends reetee
>>
>>52706191
What sort of stuff do you run into on roll20? I've never tried to play a game online
>>
>>52706175
I'd personally grab counter spell, also look for spells that can buff or debuff a couple healing ones wouldn't hurt either.
>>
>>52706190
>"Villok sent to jail for poisoning. Villok does not understand this. Other chefs talk about how humans love moldy cheese. Villok makes his own by by mixing cheese with yellow mold.
>"Spores add texture."
>>
>>52706221
I do have friends, but we went from playing two times a week to one short session per two weeks. I'm having some real blue balls.
>>
>>52706236
Not him, but I've played dozens of Roll20 games, usually Lost Mines or homebrew settings. You don't know the people irl so the games tend to fall apart, however. That being said, people can play characters they wouldn't play with people irl and I've had some really rewarding and memorable roleplay.

I was an elf wizard and there was this hilarious halfling priest. He was RP'd as pretty serious for a halfling, but no one ever took him seriously, leading to some awkward moments. My character kept a journal and the priest was always burning incense to his god. He was also really shy.

Anyway we ended up with a new character, a halfling female thief (obviously a dude but played REALLY well) and I tried to get them together. The halfling female scribbled in my journal and put pine cones in the priest's brazier and funny stuff like that. She was always getting us into trouble but the DM was rolling with it, and she would always lead us into fortune, in the end.

If you play with a new DM, don't be too good at the game. It sounds odd but if you know the game like the back of your hand and the DM is new you might accidentally make him feel dumb. So just make a fun character, don't min/max too much and just play the game off the cuff, and you'll do fine on Roll20.

They are also REALLY patient with new plays imo.
>>
>>52706295
>"Villok overhear humans say sharp cheese is good. Villok considers humans very brave. Villok thinks sharp cheese would be dangerous."

>"Villok has tried the sharp cheese. Clearly a food for warriors. Villok needed help of soft one cleric, Villok loses much blood."

>"Villok thinking he may mishear humans. Villok request sharp cheese from market. He is given regular cheese. How can this cheese be sharp? There is not metal or bone in it."
>>
>that guy who minmaxes a ranger
>that dm who encourages him

Every game and encounter is about the ranger wiping the floor with high hp enemies
How do I talk to them about this?
>>
File: Juno.jpg (191KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Juno.jpg
191KB, 675x1200px
>>52706389
>this gnome walks in and see this... thing playing with his moldy cheese
>she draws a wand with a cupcake on the end and points it at the table
>POOF
>a pastry appears
>she nods smugly then holsters the wand
>she says "Wand of Create Pastry. That's where the money is, whatever you are"
>then she leaves
>then she comes back, gets the pastry and leaves again
>>
File: 1465501281979.png (2MB, 1818x4127px) Image search: [Google]
1465501281979.png
2MB, 1818x4127px
>>52706236
>>
>>52706421

It's a ranger. How bad can it be?
>>
>>52706421
Break his bow or whatever
>>
File: Screenshot_20170414-181328.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170414-181328.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>52706035
>>52706129
Pic related. Make him obsessed with what sort of foods bring pleasure
>>
>>52706618
Damn, must be annoying playing with a lizard guy. Always fleeing like that.
>>
>Had a guy in our group that would always turn into a giant ape or T-Rex no matter the situation we were in
>No one has taken polymorph in two years now because its 'That spell'
Does anyone have things in their games players never touch because of past uses?
>>
>>52706682
monks
druids
>>
File: 1486042110932.jpg (55KB, 494x361px) Image search: [Google]
1486042110932.jpg
55KB, 494x361px
just bought a cat a leg

http://vocaroo.com/i/s10mLl1G1P8t
>>
>>52706505
>>52706533
He has put a "unbreaking" enchantment on his weapon thanks to the dm
Every fight is just becoming 'ranger shoots, everything dies, next room' and I'm not complaining about his build so much, more how the dm is not adapting to punishing our groups murderhobo lifestyle
>>
>>52706672
Just play a party of them, then the entire group can run away from anything that looks scary
>>
Alright 5eg what's your favorite weapon for aesthetic purpose?

Favorite weapon for mechanics?
>>
>>52706813
rapier
>>
>>52706813
Halberd.
>>
>>52706747
Tell your DM that you're bored with combat and how none of your actions seem to have any consequences.
>>
>>52706813
Flail for aesthetics. Im unsure why i an iron ball on a chain is so fucking radical but it is. Special mentions to the morning star

Mechanically im partial to the polearms, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>52706813
Mace or warhammer, kanabo if I'm being a weeb
>>
>>52706813
Dagger. Never leave home without one.
>>
>>52706813

magic
>>
File: 1470651200767.jpg (254KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1470651200767.jpg
254KB, 2000x3000px
>>52706813

ANSWER IS POLEARM
>>
>>52706747
How does a ranger become OP?
>>
>>52707056

No idea. UA Ranger 1 + Battlemaster 19?
>>
>>52707045
You must have stained your panties when you saw the polearm master feat
>>
>>52706682
We currently have a wizard that thinks polymorph is the best spell ever. A PvP situation came up (not due to interparty conflict-- the whole party was okay with it, it advanced the plot). 3 of us vs the wizard with him trying so hard to get a polymorph off every turn and just getting counterspelled repeatedly.

It was so fucking gratifying. He talks so much shit about how he could kill any martial and we're all so shit compared to him. Seeing him get counterspelled and subsequently decimated made my dick so hard.
>>
>>52707164
haha 3 on 1 vs the wizard, you fucking faggots
>>
>>52706906
Made an Orc Bearbarian with a Kanabo.
It's actually pretty sweet
>>
>>52707197
How did you end up statting the thing?
>>
>>52707164
>3 on 1
>haha, so gratifying to kick his ass
>>
>>52706421
Sounds like a shitty dm

>>52707056
Maybe archery+sniper+volley? But he said high HP enemies so I assume hunters mark+colossus slayer with sniper and archery so that's two attacks per round with 2d8+1d6+10+dex. Still not thr best
>>
>>52707210
Why would it be any different than a maul?
>>
>>52707231
just curious if you did anything differently
>>
>>52707183
>>52707211
He was planning on betraying and killing all of our characters. Seemed like ganging up would be okay.

The sad part is, is that if we hadn't specifically planned it for that time, he probably could have kited and killed us. That's 5e's balance. A martial and 2 half casters<1 wizard.
>>
>>52707262
Played it as a maul.
>>
>>52707164
>I'm unstoppable with my polymorph! No martial can defeat me!
>use action to polymorph
>martial hits them twice causing two concentration checks
>wizard goes back to being a wizard
>just wasted a spell slot for nothing
>>
>>52707164
>>52707278
You all have serious issues. Seek help.
>>
>>52705743

They'd probably get 'tasty' as 'this food brings pleasure with consistency'.

Presentation would be hilarious though.
>>
>>52707278
How is he going to kite you? What kind of martial doesn't bring ranged weapons?
>>
>>52706813
Club. Timeless and elegant.
>>
Is a longsword dealing 3d10 base damage too absurd?
>>
File: 1309177844885.jpg (233KB, 855x1287px) Image search: [Google]
1309177844885.jpg
233KB, 855x1287px
>>52707114

I wept when I saw polearms were finally getting their recognition as the true masters of melee combat.
>>
>>52706813

Aesthetic?
>Hand Crossbow
>Unarmed Strike
>Shield

Mechanics?
>Hand Crossbow (w/ Crossbow Expert)
>Unarmed Strike (w/ Tavern Brawler)
>Shield (w/ Shield Mastery)
>>
>>52707317
>>52707324
I mentioned that you have to make concentration checks when hit in polymorph and he threw an autistic fit. The DM doesn't want him to quit so he doesn't make him do the checks for it anymore.
>>
>>52707317
>he didn't tilt the hemisphere of his wall of force, trapping all three but leaving a six inch gap at the bottom, then throw a few fireballs into under the dome, roasting all three, then teleporting to Silverymoon for wine and scallops
>guess he doesn't understand magic
>the worst sin
>>
>>52707345
Yeah, but sometimes it isn't.

For example all those "acquired tastes" or really spicy foods.

The Lizardman probably wouldn't find them pleasurable.
>"Villok does not understand why humans like food that burns mouth. Villok will learn. He already has added several salamanders to dish."
>>
>>52707417
And yet you cant use a pike with it
>>
The absolute worst scenario for a wizard dueling three martials is him wall of forcing himself, then teleporting away
i mean there is literally no threat
wizards have decent dex typically, so they likely win init against at least one or two of the -1 dex GW fighters. so he just casts shield if needed, then wall of force on himself, then leaves.
>martials thinking because they killed a retarded wizard they can kill even a mediocre one
>>
>>52707164

>"NO MARTIAL CAN BEAT ME"
>defeat him with counterspell

good job not proving him wrong
>>
>>52707221
It's some mix of feats that allow him to get over 50 damage a round out of a hand crossbow, I still don't understand it
>>
>>52707422
So your dm and other player are both retards and your wizard is pretty much a druid with better spellcasting ability
>>
File: elder brain.jpg (79KB, 860x698px) Image search: [Google]
elder brain.jpg
79KB, 860x698px
I want to make a Great Old One Warlock, but I don't want to be just another Cthulhu cultist. Taking some inspiration from the Fiend section, where it says that an Ultroloth (CR 13 fiend) can be a patron, I'd like to see if there's some powerful, but not godly, creature that can be my patron.

I was thinking either a Beholder (CR 13 aberration) or an Elder Brain (CR 14 aberration). Would either of those creatures take on a patron, and be capable of giving me GOO spells?

Also open to suggestions for other creatures.
>>
>>52707548

I don't think that's possible for Rangers unless he's either enchanted out the wazoo or you're talking AoE damage.

Fighters and Kensai Monks can easily get that, though.
>>
File: 1283108291273.jpg (82KB, 756x890px) Image search: [Google]
1283108291273.jpg
82KB, 756x890px
>>52707493

Progress is sometimes slow in life. Next edition the pike will have 15' of reach and will be compatible with all feats, even ones for dinky rapiers.
>>
>>52707573

If you want a Not-Great-Old-One patron that's like a Great Old One, go with Dagon. He's basically as close as a GOO you can get without going whole hog.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (237KB, 1352x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
237KB, 1352x1944px
>>
>>52707623
But he's a fiend.
>>
Okay guys, let's go over downtime activities, and see what things should be added.

>Building a Stronghold
>Buying a Magic Item
>Carousing (DMG version/UA version)
>Crafting an Item
>Crafting a Magic Item
>Crime
>Gambling
>Performing Sacred Rites
>Pit Fighting
>Relaxation
>Religious Service
>Research
>Running a Business
>Scribing a Spell Scroll
>Selling a Magic Item
>Sowing Rumors
>Training
>Training to Gain Levels (SHIT)
>Work

What should be added?
>>
>>52707548
So with sniper+crossbow expert+archery+colossus slayer+hunters mark you could theoretically deal 6d6+1d8+30+2xDex with a -3 on three crossbow shots
>>
>>52707632

Monster Slayer Ranger seems pretty good for dealing with casters. Probably beats them in initiative, can use their reaction to stop the caster teleporting/shapechanging or auto-save with a successful attack. Pick up the Mage Slayer feat for extra goodness.
>>
>>52707675
>creating better rules
>>
>>52707649

Look into him. He's pretty Lovecraftian in nature, so you might be able to convince your DM to let you pull him with GOO rather than Fiend.

Something like a Beholder or Aboleth probably isn't powerful enough to merit a pact.
>>
>>52707690
>Monster Slayer Ranger
some ua nonsense? yea he's pretty good if you literally build him to kill wizards, but even then, nah. meanwhile the wizard with: wall of force and fireball; can kill you almost at will
shame, the martials almost crawled out of that slavezone status
>>
>>52707573
There's a beholder diety called "the Great Mother" and the illithid god Ilsensine. Those would both be good Great Old One patrons.
>>
>>52707687

Wouldn't that be 3xDex?
>>
YOU NIGGAS FUCK WITH THOSE GUYS UNTIL THE WIZARD DECIDES TO KILL THEM
HES HAVING TEA NOW
>>
>>52707675
Remove the DMG version of Carousing, Sowing Rumors, and Training to Gain Levels and you're set. The only thing else I can think of is that the UA version of Working might make Running a Business obsolete.
>>
>>52707632
Also comes in Bard and Protection Cleric flavors.
>>
>>52707548
>>52707605

see

>>52707221

with crossbow expert and sharpshooter feats, plus 20 dex:

d6 (weapon) + d6 (hunter's mark) + 15 damage....twice per round.

You get a d8 from Colossus Slayer once per round.

Average damage per round is 48.5 assuming every shot hits
>>
>>52707632
The martial could just hit you with 3 arrows or bolts from the opening and make you lose concentration
>>
>>52707719

What if you've got a high Dex save and whatever 5e's improved evasion is?
>>
>>52707746
yep
>>
>>52707675

rules for using magic to assist you in any of the aforementioned tasks
>>
>>52707709
True, Obyriths do effectively straddle the border.
>>
>>52707675

Maybe some explanation and guidelines for what can be made via alchemy. And the poisoner's kit.
>>
>>52707764
as I said above, the literal worst scenario for a wizard is him trapping you and then teleporting/flying away
if he wall of forces you and then you dodge his fireballs and he runs out, he just teleports away
or uses thunderwave which is con
or conjures a storm sphere in the hemisphere, which is a str save
or or or or or he has a million options
leaving is the worse, butchering you is the best
>>
>>52707709
>Something like a Beholder or Aboleth probably isn't powerful enough to merit a pact.
What am I able to a pact with? The book lists non-godly candidates for the other two (ancient hags and ultroloths), but GOO just has "and other unfathomable beings".

>>52707725
>Gods
Wouldn't that just make me an evil cleric? Or is that more dependent on the nature of our relationship?
>>
>>52707783

Dagon had a campaign module that was pretty much ripped from Shadows Over Innsmouth in 3.5e.
>>
>>52707734
You don't add ability bonuses for offhand attacks unless you have the two weapon fighting style but archery is better for that build because the +2 offset on the sniper feats -5 is better than 1 extra +dex. Granted it is vague since the crossbow expert feat doesn't specify it as a two weapon fighting attack but any DM worth a lick will not apply dex on the off hand bolt
>>
File: twitter.png (39KB, 603x275px) Image search: [Google]
twitter.png
39KB, 603x275px
>>52707777
>>
>>52707818

thanks
>>
>>52707757
One bolt, at most actually, and with disadvantage. The dome isn't open at the bottom along all sides. Half of it is closed. The wizard can spend his movement for the turn moving from the closed side, to the open side, casting fireball, and then moving back.

This limits the martial to preparing an action, which limits him to one attack on a reaction. Additionally, the martial would have to be prone to shoot through the hole, meaning any attacks the martial makes are with disadvantage.
>>
>>52707810
What off-hand bolt?

You're firing all attacks off the same Hand Crossbow.
>>
>>52707810
This: >>52707839
You can't dual-wield hand crossbows because you still need one free hand to reload, even with Crossbow Expert. You don't need to dual-wield, however, because you can use the same hand crossbow to make the first attack(s) and also the bonus attack.
>>
>>52703292
These were most likely written by women, based on the way the sentences are structured. I would imagine ones that are obsessed over Matt Mercer in particular.

Nerds of the level that watch things like Critical Role and care enough about the characters, the story, and most importantly the rules, would write like this.
>>
>>52707810

Wait a minute, hold up. Crossbow expert gets rid of the loading property but your weapon still keeps the ammunition property. How are you firing the main hand twice with a weapon in the offhand?
>>
>>52707833
this man understands magic
the highest praise
>>
>>52707893
You got a speed loader for your crossbow that no one else can use
>>
>>52707893

You don't use two hand crossbows, you just use one hand crossbow and leave the other hand free.
>>
>>52707675
>training to gain levels (SHIT)
One guy spends a year to craft a rare magic item, one guy spends a year training to get a level, I think that sounds ok.
For other activities, let's see-
>building up/training an army
>establishing organizations (churches, university branches, hospitals, what have you)
>making permanent spells
>create a new monster through magic
>work towards solving a particular problem in a town/community that isn't typical adventure stuff (agricultural issies, etc)
>>
>>52707869
And even if you were, ranged weapons don't follow the Two-Weapon Fighting rules, so there's no "attack without applying your ability modifier" penalty.
>>
File: 6265165.jpg (72KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
6265165.jpg
72KB, 500x674px
So I'm making a homebrew greek setting to run with my friends. It's a only humans setting that uses the greek pantheon.
As there are no traditional races other than humans, I've been trying to come up with a set of languages for the setting. Here's what I got right now:

>not-greek, the common equivalent, spoken in the whole continent
>a norse mythology common language from the far north
>a egyptian mythology common language from the far south
>an old dialect forgotten by time. used to be the only language spoken by the whole world until a babel-tower like incident. some minotaurs and other monsters still speak this language
>a giant language
>a dragon language
>a forest language, spoken by faeries and satyrs
>a dark language, spoken by witches and dark sorcerers
>a snake language
>a sea language for mermen and the like
>a hell language, spoken by demons of the tartarus

did I miss anything?
>>
>>52707869
It is implied by the wording of the feat that you fire the bonus action from the offhand crossbow. Also nowhere does it say you need a free hand to load

>>52707833
Not disadvantage and if you are that close he could just grapple you and saw off a leg
>>
>>52707793
Buy a ring of antimagic field before you fight him.
>>
>>52707960
BUT THE PERSIANS
>>
>>52707709
>Something like a Beholder or Aboleth probably isn't powerful enough to merit a pact

They actually are. Pacts are about imparting knowledge. If Strahd can be a patron so can an Aboleth
>>
>>52707893
Nowhere does it say you need a free hand to draw ammunition
>>
>>52707963

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats

>Do the first and third benefits of Crossbow Expert turn a hand crossbow into a semiautomatic weapon?
>...Crossbow Expert makes it possible to fire a hand crossbow more than once with a feature like Extra Attack, provided that you have enough ammunition and you have a hand free to load it for each shot.
>>
>>52707975
FUCK THE PERSIANS
>>
>>52707963
Reread the prone condition moron.

>The creature has disadvantage on attack rolls

The wizard never enters within grapple range, but he forces any attack against him at range to be made with disadvantage and on a reaction.
>>
>>52705957
In theory, sure. Eldritch Knight get one straight up after all.
>>
>>52707927
>creating spells
>creating monsters
Yes
>>
>>52707986
See: >>52707988
>Does Crossbow Expert let you fire a hand crossbow and then fire it again as a bonus action?
>It does!
>>
>>52707960
Pretty sure there way more races than humans. God's Fucked everything shape changed as anything.
At the very least you got Asimar
>>
Feel like playing a different Wizard then all the ones we've had at our table.

Abjurer, Theurge, Evoker or War Mage. Which would be the most fun?
>>
File: read the phb.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
read the phb.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>52707963
>It is implied by the wording of the feat that you fire the bonus action from the offhand crossbow

"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding."

What off-hand weapon?

>Also nowhere does it say you need a free hand to load

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf

Like yes, being fair, the Feat looks like it was *meant* to enable the sword&xbow Drow style... but it doesn't. Errata eliminates any illusion of Xbow and sword, or dual-wielding xbows, or xbow and shield. But it doesn't matter because the same Hand Crossbow lets you shoot with it without hassle, satisfying its own ruling for the bonus attack.
>>
>>52707974
haha. again, you have to prepare and build your character around killing a wizard to even stand a chance at defeating him. a wizards needs two spells everyone takes. to do it easily. to do it laughably easily. by your logic, i could just prepare a contingiency that if "anyone casts antimagic field around me, i teleport to Spellhold"
if you use your ACTION to cast an anti magic field and move over to me instead of attacking, i will just move away 1 feet and teleport, at the very worst
>>
>>52708001
>creating spells
I meant more like casting certain spells over and over so their effect becomes permanent, which I think teleportation circles can do? Or else sanctuary over certain buildings, etc.

But creating a new spell during downtime could be good, with limitations. Do what lore wizard does, but it takes 1d4 weeks per spell level.
>>
>>52708052
>it takes less time to create a 9th level spell than it does to create plate armor

As it should be. Martials are cucks.
>>
>>52707927
They need to change the rules for training for levels though. As written, a 1st level character can reach 20th level in less than a year and for less than 2000 gold.
>>
>>52708036
Evoker.

>dat elemental damage
>plus telepathy
>plus LTH for some reason
>>
>>52708043

And I use my reaction to activate my Monster Slayer class feature to nullify your teleport.
>>
>>52707798
The line blurs for some of these entities. Ghaunadar and Moander from the Forgotten Realms are alternately Great Old Ones or Gods.

Some powerful fiends have been worshipped as gods as well, such as Demon Princes.

Still, the SCAG lists several unique fiends from the lesser ranks. You could make a case for some particularly powerful aberration. Such as Maanzecoran (well, before he died), Lugribossk, Gzemnid, or powerful Elder Brains or Deep Spawn.

Of course, some of their gods may actually be shared. The Great Mother of the Beholders may be the same eldritch horror known to the Aboleth as Shothotugg.
>>
>>52708069
>plus telepathy
Nigga what?
>>
File: ammunitiondraw.png (48KB, 396x150px) Image search: [Google]
ammunitiondraw.png
48KB, 396x150px
>>52707986
>>
>>52707927
>Creating maneuvers and spells
>>
>>52708082
8th level evocation.
>>
>>52708090
While i agree with you, your example makes no mention of needing a free hand.
>>
>>52707995
A wizard doesn't have 60 ft of movement

>>52708040
>>52708020
>>52707988
Yea, sounds pretty dumb and not mechanically possible
>>
>>52708070
This is getting sad, bro. Just stop. You would lose every time. You have to rely on UA nonsense, magic items you picked in advance and all kinds of other shit to even hold a conversation. It's sad. Do you need a CAT scan?
>>
>>52707798
In D&D "god" is just an ill-defined term for a powerful outsider. Ghaunadaur and Tharizdun, two beings suggested as warlock patrons in Player's Handbook, are both "gods". As you said, the nature of your warlock's relationship with his or her patron is more important than whether or not it's a demigod or a demon or whatever.
>>
>>52708102
Go to sageadvice.

>>52708101
Would've thought it's an Enchantment spell. Weird.
>>
>>52708095
There we go.
>>
>>52708063
How long does it take to make plate?
>>52708066
I think the DM is meant to use critical thinking to prevent this from happening, but I agree. New level×months is the time it takes, cost equal to one of the more expensive lifestyles for that time? And roll 2d10 to determine how high a level the trainer can take you, if you're throwing together a town.
>>
>>52708116
>Magecuck actually thinks he's not the one looking pathetic here
>>
>>52708111
I'll at least attempt to bring this up with them
>>
>>52708126
No. Gods are powerful divine beings granted portfolios by Lord AO in order to maintain the balance. They are more than just powerful outsiders. A powerful demon cannot do what a god can do. It's not the same.
>>
>>52708150
I get you are just trying to hold on to your pride.
I actually apologize.
I should have just ignored the comments, secure in the abilities of the wizard. But I couldn't let it pass.
I could have spared you feeling this way. I am sorry.
But at least I've educated you a bit. You're welcome.
>>
>>52708129
>post a blurb from PHB
>someone points out your blurb in no way changes the discussion
>"go to sage advice"

Why did you even post to begin with?
>>
>>52708139
Live like nobility, roll 2d6 to see the max level a dude can train you to
>>
>>52707927
Learn a class feature, level the feature is can be half your character level, cost is 1000 times the feature level.
>>
>>52708171
>He actually thinks he's talking to a single person
Fresh off the boat from leddit, I see
>>
>>52708156
Only in the Realms.

In other places and other times, Demon Princes have granted divine spells.
>>
File: 1471956717261.jpg (301KB, 800x940px) Image search: [Google]
1471956717261.jpg
301KB, 800x940px
Should I just ban v.human and give everyone a half-feat (plus some other weak feats as options)? It'd make PCs in general stronger, but make GWM/Sharpshooter cheese less ubiquitous.
>>
File: martialscucked.png (17KB, 1177x818px) Image search: [Google]
martialscucked.png
17KB, 1177x818px
>>52708111
It would only take 10 feet anon. I guess expecting a martial player to understand basic geometry was too much.
>>
>>52708187
XD EBIN
>>
>>52708180
Quest to seek out a higher level trainer?
>>
>>52708190
no one cares about those places
>>
>>52708155
I don't see how someone could fire two shots with a hand crossbow in the time you can only fire one from a bow. You'd think there would be a bow mastery feat.
>>
>>52708178
Wasn't me. I don't care but they clarified there that loading requires a free hand.
>>
>>52708182
>level 6 wizard spends 4000 gold, gains all weapon and armor proficiencies, along with battlemaster maneuvers

THE KEKING NEVER STOPS
>>
>>52708102

If you have a prehensile penis or can load it with your feet or something, sure
>>
>>52708208
>When you just have to get the last word
>>
>>52708116

> fighting a wizard high enough level to have access to Wall of Force
> not making plans and instead just challenging them to a duel

Are we talking some self-masturbatory PvP wankfest or are we talking a situation where you're tasked to hunt down a wizard?

UA nonsense? Are you going to ignore errata, now, too?

Magic items I picked in advance? If we're running around at level 15 I should expect to have acquired a fair number of magic items, and I ALWAYS try to have some way of putting up an Antimagic Field as a martial. Foregoing magic items means you might as well forego magic entirely.
>>
>>52708208
See, now you're degrading yourself to shitposting. I know a redditor when I see one.
>>
>>52708231
T R I G G E R E D
>>
>>52708229
>>52708231
>>52708232
Wew.
>>
>>52708206
It can't be imbedded in the ground
>>
>>52708232
HAHA I CALLED HIM A PLEBBITER
>>
>>52708194

Just tell your players that if they're going to use cheese, so are their enemies.

It's good way to make them self-limiting, in my experience.
>>
>>52708215
Oh, also the Kuo-toa.

They managed to elevate a broken statue they repaired with bits of shell to godhood.

Kuo-Toa are weird like that.
>>
>>52708231
I think you're missing the point.
A wizard doesn't have to be specialized in fucking with martials to do so.
>>
>>52708245
>TRIGGERED, TRIGGERED, I CALLED HIM TRIGGERED, WHICH MAKES ME THE WINNER
That's just sad to look at.
>>
>>52708252
This. I mean obviously a high level Wizard who wins inititave can control a Fighter, if the Fighter wins inititave he'll most likely have a way to butcher the Wizard.

They do do different roles and there's also classes that will kick a Wizards ass in 1 v 1 combat. A Sorcerer's subtle counter spell or a Monk who lands 1 Stunning Strike will both basically fuck the Wizard up the ass.
>>
>>52708296
im so sad for you i lit a candle for you at church
>>
>>52708287

Honestly it sounds like one of the reasons "everybody" takes Wall of Force is specifically to fuck with martials.
>>
>>52708252
Point out where it says that in the spell description. Or I can save you some time with the following informative spoiler: It doesn't say that.
>>
>Abloo ablooo wizards op!!!
Stop playing non-4E then.

Seriously. You want D&D and martials to not get wizardicked? Play 4e.

Or fucking better play another game.
>>
>>52708323
its useful in every encounter
the day you fight a wizard is a day you prepare for weeks for and will tell your ugly children about
for the wizard though, it's just wednesday
>>
>>52708342
"It can be free floating or resting on a solid surface."

It gives you a very clear choice between 2 options.
>>
>>52708350
>Play 4e
0 days without 4rry tricks.
>>
>>52708206
Can't we just dig out?
>>
File: NAZARÉCONFUSED.gif (3MB, 304x200px) Image search: [Google]
NAZARÉCONFUSED.gif
3MB, 304x200px
Why everybody got their challenge rating so drastically reduced in 5th Edition? (Except the androsphinx, now almost breaking the epic level wall).
>>
>>52708371
hope you brought a shovel
>>
>>52708323
Or anything that is inconvenienced by impassible walls.
>>
>>52708355

Every encounter involving non-casters?
>>
>>52708373
Because WoTC finally got the memo that nobody actually plays at 10+ levels, and nobody likes beating up goblins and orcs every time either.
>>
>>52708357
Embedded in the ground is actually resting on a solid surface anon. What do you think a building's foundations rest on? Fairy dust?
>>
>>52708367
Mhm? But 4e is dogshit mostly because martials are good you fucking 4rry retard?
>>
>>52708382
>adventurer
>not having a shovel

>>52708387
So non-casters, aka Martials and effectively-martial enemies.
>>
>>52708404
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>52708400

I think his point is that while the wall can displace creatures, it can't displace terrain. You'd have to dig out a hole in the shape you'd want the underground portion of the wall to occupy before you could place it there.
>>
>>52708411
no packs include a shovel, fat boy
>>
>>52708411
Or any caster that doesn't have access to disintegration or teleportation.
>>
>>52708156
Everyone hates Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>52708387

Which is lots of things.

Great control spell.
>>
File: FantasyCraft_Cover_by_Inkthinker.jpg (370KB, 1024x1320px) Image search: [Google]
FantasyCraft_Cover_by_Inkthinker.jpg
370KB, 1024x1320px
>>52708350

Dare we mention it?
>>
>>52708423
The spell description doesn't support that interpretation at all, unless you go with the fairy dust interpretation of building construction I detailed above.

Basically, you'd have to be a dumbass martial player to believe that.

But hey, let's disregard it, since obviously the invention of a basement or foundation is beyond dumbass martial players: You can build a wall out of sections. You can have one section floating 3 inches above the ground, and ever other section on the ground. Problem solved, cucks.
>>
>>52708426

Soo...

Just martials, then?

>>52708424
> not equipping yourself beyond the default packs
>>
>>52708461
I guess if you count every monster that has spells or spell like abilities that don't include disintegrate and teleport martials.
>>
>>52708458

Yeah, you could just tilt the dome so that one point on the edge is touching the ground and the opposite edge is just barely above the ground. Same effect, more or less, but I'd still argue you can't have the wall cut through terrain or inanimate objects.

Also if you're using sections, each panel has to be exactly 10x10 and continguous with another panel. It's debatable whether contiguous in this case means "touching" or "sharing two adjacent vertices with," the latter of which would prevent your proposal from being possible.
>>
>>52708525
>sharing a common border; touching.

Martial player, have you ever used a dictionary? it's a fantastic invention.
>>
>>52708553

When you're talking about a series of square panels being contiguous, "sharing a border" and "touching" mean different things If they share a border, they share two adjacent vertices, in which case you can't have that last panel floating three inches above the ground when none of the other ones are oriented to allow for that. Now, you could ANGLE that last panel hinged from, say, the top of a cube to have a small opening, but you couldn't just have it floating to create an opening.
>>
>>52708525
>>52708604

Just to butt in, don't we only want this opening so we can pump fireballs inside? Couldn't you just fully encase the rest of the party within a force cube that touches the ground and then use some other wizardly method of death that doesn't rely on traveling through the intervening space?
>>
File: GRETCHENNNNNNN.gif (2MB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
GRETCHENNNNNNN.gif
2MB, 140x140px
>>52708397
There goes my poor dryad..
>>
>>52708458
But it does. Resting in the ground and in the ground are different. I guess I shouldn't expect a frail wizard to understand anything beyond fireballs
>>
>>52708604
Anon, you really have to try this dictionary thing.
>have a portion of (something) with another or others.
>the edge or boundary of something, or the part near it.
>>
>>52708633

This is more what confuses me. Why bother with an opening and a fireball? Why bother with an opening at all? Leave the cube closed and let them suffocate.

Also a Horizon Walker Ranger could escape just by attacking one of the walls and teleporting 10 feet to the outside.
>>
>>52708668
Nothing can physically pass through the wall. It is immune to all damage and can’t be dispelled by dispel magic. A disintegrate spell destroys the wall instantly, however. The wall also extends into the Ethereal Plane, blocking ethereal travel through the wall.
>>
>>52708668
You mean "pulling out their bow and teleporting out to shoot the wizard".
>>
>>52708647

Are you arguing that you can attach one panel to another just by them being in contact over a few square inches? Because I'm pretty sure that violates the implied contiguity.

Pretty sure they need to share a geometric edge, ie. two adjacent vertices.
>>
>>52708701
The words in the spell description don't support your interpretation, neither the plain meaning or the actual definitions. So far no words have supported any of your interpretations of rulings.
>>
>>52708685

Technically you need to declare an attack action before you teleport, and you need a target for that.

Can you target a creature when there's a transparent but tangible barrier between you two? I guess you could argue sight allows you to target them even if you know the attack will fail.
>>
>>52708678
Horizon Walker's teleport attack isn't ethereal travel (it's an unspecified teleportation effect), and teleportation is specifically listed as bypassing a Wall of Force in 5e.

>>52708712
So you're saying you can, in fact, attach two panels of a wall of force using on a single square inch of contact?
>>
Wizards now use a 1d4 for hit die. Are they balanced now?
>>
>>52708742
So you're saying you can, in fact, attach two panels of a wall of force using on a single square inch of contact?

By the definitions of words, yes. Do you need me to define anything in these sentences for you? Like definition, or word, or yes?
>>
>>52708764

That's violating the geometric definition of contiguity.
>>
>>52708782
Cite your definition anon. I don't see it here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contiguous
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiguity
>>
>>52708813
>Wall of Force
>or you can shape a flat surface made up of ten 10-foot-by-10-foot panels. Each panel must be contiguous with another panel

It's a single flat surface made up of contiguous 10x10 panels. You can't do a cube. You can't rotate each panel individually. All the panels have to be parallel.
>>
>>52708867
Again, none of the words support your interpretation. This is getting hilarious. You'd be more effective just uttering monosyllabic grunts, which I suppose is more in character for your class than this feeble attempt at understanding things.
>>
>>52708888
>you can shape a flat surface made up of ten 10-foot-by-10-foot panels
>you can shape A flat surface made up of ten
>you can shape A flat surface
>A flat surface
>>
>>52708902
>smooth and even; without marked lumps or indentations.
>>
>>52708928
Do you also believe the earth is flat?
>>
>>52708928
If we're talking definitions, explain how it's called wall of force, not cube of force.
>>
>>52708928

They key word is "A," as in "a single," as in the entire wall consists of a single flat surface if you're doing panels. So no cubes.
>>
>>52708928
Quote from a man who failed Geometry.
>>
>>52708948
On a local scale, sure.

>>52708949
Wizards is poor at naming. Notice that they explicitly allow you to make a dome of force.
>>
>>52708995

He's talking about the dictionary definition of contiguous over the geometric one when we're discussing an assemblage of geometric prisms. It's sad.
>>
>>52709012
You still haven't pointed out an actual geometric definition with any authority that supports your notion. Sad.
>>
This argument's bad.

I think by now we can all safely agree that wall of forceanon is wrong and move on with our lives.
>>
>>52709046
He's probably also the druids r ghey shitposter.
>>
>>52709046
>>52709012
Notice how the samefag asks to leave after getting called out to cite a source.
>>
File: samefagyousay.png (6KB, 537x96px) Image search: [Google]
samefagyousay.png
6KB, 537x96px
>>52709066
>>
>>52709066
Nice try dummy.
>>
File: DenshaDeD_ch01p16-17.png (328KB, 1353x976px) Image search: [Google]
DenshaDeD_ch01p16-17.png
328KB, 1353x976px
>>52709081
>>52709085
BTFO
>>
>>52709081
>>52709085
>12 seconds in web browser
>still hasn't cited a source.

Anywayse, it's irrelevant whether or not you disagree with every valid interpretation of wall of force like some sort of moronic caveman only capable of saying "no", ignoring every tenet of modern construction, geometry, math, and logic.

Because the wizard can just cast non fireball spells and still kill the martial party through wall of force.
>>
>>52709120
I guess that's that.
>>
File: 1465837945628.gif (3MB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
1465837945628.gif
3MB, 250x255px
>>52709120
>two seperate posts 20 seconds apart
>actually implying its one person using inspect element

WEW. Hella pathetic.
>>
>>52709160
>pretending he doesn't know how to spam like the shitposter he is.
>>
>>52709173
>Could there be multiple people who disagree with me?
>No, there's one shitposter who's hacking 4chan to make me look bad.
>>
>>52709255
>implying it takes hacking 4chan to spam

Even if there are multiple morons in the thread, it's no skin off my back. Also, you still haven't cited your "geometric definition".
>>
>>52709173
ur dumb
>>
>>52708350
Caster supremacy doesn't exist on 2e and prior either

I've been considering joining a 2e game specifically to get away from the type of player who chooses a caster just to powertrip via purposefully breaking encounters with magic whenever at all possible
>>
>>52709300
5e is honestly one of the worst editions of DnD, and I only play it because it has great potential for homebrew, while being popular because it is the "latest".
>>
>>52709276
I'm not one of the guys you were arguing with, I just think your samefag accusation is ridiculous.
>>
New thread >>52709360
>>
>>52705675
Had a dm let me have a pixie as a warlock familiar, tons if fun
Thread posts: 418
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.