[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DnD 5th Edition General /5eg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 442
Thread images: 34

File: AnomanderRake.jpg (152KB, 936x616px) Image search: [Google]
AnomanderRake.jpg
152KB, 936x616px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

WIzards Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>52362283

Thread question: What's the 'feelsiest' moment you've had in a campaign? How did it come about?
>>
>>52370435
Rapier + shield + dueling style? Might work but also sound boring... Are there any good feat to add on to that?
>>
>>52370469
Rapier+shield offends me from a flavor perspective
>>
>>52370461
Dart are already ranged weapon.

They don't have ammunition tag though.And if you give ammunition to them, that mean they break when you hit.
>>
Taking bets on how long till we get a pdf of Yawning Portal.
>>
>>52370494
Already have it. Check the mega.
>>
>>52370484
shield is fluff as a buckler or gauntlet. Does that satisfy you?
>>
File: 1489985827524.png (1MB, 1200x2032px) Image search: [Google]
1489985827524.png
1MB, 1200x2032px
Is there any reason to play hamon monk if you already have 60 movement to get into melee range with spread-out enemies?
>>
>>52370469
Defensive Duelist for more boring but practical-ness.
>>
File: Paladin Duels.gif (3MB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin Duels.gif
3MB, 250x140px
>>52370426
>What's the 'feelsiest' moment you've had in a campaign? How did it come about?

When we had accidentally crossed into Athas from the Land of the Mists and some of the refugees we were protecting died when we were assaulted by Lightning Drakes in the night.
We couldn't save them all. Although we fought off the drakes, 18 men and women died that night and my Paladin couldn't do anything about it. Not to mention that since it was Athas, they didn't even get to peacefully pass into the afterlife, their souls were trapped in the Grey.
A person travelling with us offered some special treatment to trap their souls and force them into their bodies as a twisted undead to try and save them later but I couldn't agree with it. It would be agony and torture. I swore I'd find a way to go back for them, but the remaining refugees needed to come first.
>>
>>52370505
Why was I looking under Y.

I am a fool.
>>
How would you guys make a Naked Snake build? Off the top of my head maybe a Rouge 5/ Monk 5 with Alert and/or Mobile? Give me some ideas
>>
>>52370581
id start by not liking faggy trash games
>>
Why is the Durnan in Tales from the Yawning Portal such a cynical selfish dick? Unless he got replaced by a doppelganger and isn't his previous NG self?
>>
>>52370469
Defensive Duelist for sure. Blade Mastery if UA.

Serpico doesn't use shields. Shame there's no feat that can swap out a shield for a dodge. Since all shields provide the same flat +2 AC, maybe you can work something out where your off-hand is so focused on movement, you get +2 AC, but you can't hold anything in it...
>>
Reminder to avoid Dawnforgedcast at all costs. He tried to bully several rpg-oriented youtubers off of YouTube through false accounts, people got suspicious, he got caught and blamed his brother, he got caught again and then tried to wipe traces of what he was doing. He had that awkward interview with Matt Mercer, only with him saying stuff and Matt agreeing because it wasn't actually a live interview but clips of Matt. It was also creepy.
He gets assblasted with Critical Role and Dice, Camera, Action, saying that's not how you should run a game and only he knows how to run a game.

Continue avoiding him if you can help it.
>>
File: 1461180558645.jpg (141KB, 722x454px) Image search: [Google]
1461180558645.jpg
141KB, 722x454px
>>52370513
In case you don't want the enemies getting into melee range with you.
And AoE spell-like effects are a neat little bag of tricks for a monk to get.
>>
>>52370596
>One of the most beloved games of all time, from reviewers to /v/ to every corner of the net
>trash
Objectively wrong.
>>
>>52370532
why not martial adept?
>>
>>52370640
if /v/ likes it, chances are its trash
>>
>>52370638
Well, is there any reason not to get in melee if the mobile feat makes you immune to opportunity attacks?
>>
>>52370596
>not liking Big Boss
Is there something wrong with you?
>>52370581
He'd be a Battlemaster Fighter level 20, with proficiency in Stealth and maybe Disguise, he is a soldier, a warrior, and infiltator, not a fucking thief or an eastern Monk.
>>
>>52370657
/v/ hivemind rarely likes anything, their entire purpose is to be contrarian and has been since the board's inception
>>
So I got ToYP on Friday and I've been reading over "the Hidden Shrine" adventure since my party is currently Lv. 5 and hence will be jumping into it very soon. However, I want some opinions on certain things in the adventure. Firstly, their is poisonous gas in the dungeon that deals damage to the party every hour. I was told by a colleague that the poison could prevent long rests if I so chose to rule it as such. The party is moderately sized and well experienced, so I doubt it would be too bad, but would it be fair to stick with that analysis? Secondly, their is a buffed vampire spawn mini-boss in the dungeon that is suppose to start off the fight super weakened. Their is a smite happy paladin in the group and the vampire spawn would definitely die in one turn if the party jumps on him like I know they would. If I were to buff his initial revival and then quicken his return to full power, would that be too much or would it be acceptable since I know they could take it on with ease still?
>>
>>52370620
Please explain in greater detail, anon. Never heard of the Dawnforgedcast.
>>
Chris calls Tiamat out as a deity here
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/844726037204238336 and says the write-up in RoT are her true stats.
Disappointing in a way, but perhaps we may be get deity stats in the future.
>>
>>52370657
>>52370688
Guys.... can we not?
>>
Anon with the autist Warlock party member here.

So lemme tell you a bit from the last session. My DM likes to get the Warlock to take Strength checks, mostly because he has 6 STR. I'm not sure how he accomplished that when we all agreed on standard array, but whatever.

So he gets into a few issues. Tries to push the Ranger, fails. Tries to climb down 10 feet, lands on his ass. Tries to jump over a puddle, falls straight in it. Everyone's joking around, its fun to laugh at things like this. We're just having a good time.

Eventually he has to throw a whole bundle of rope to a fire. As we're getting ready for another failure, I quickly interject and say something like "That's gonna be based on your negative two Strength you know!"

His response? "I know that, I'm not fucking stupid."

I look at my DM, he looks back at me, we give each other the same "When did we become babysitters" look.

I wonder how long it will take until I snap!
>>
>>52370670

He'd have at least one or two levels of monk though, because Basics of CQC
>>
>>52370507
That'd work. I feel like a saber would fit you thematically better though
>>
>>52370670
My reasoning for Rouge was because Jack's great at everything, ESPECIALLY stealth. And for Monk, well because he remembers the basics of CQC. This is for like a 9-11 level PC
>>
>>52370711
What's the problem? You're not one of those "Nuclear Druids are valid" subhumans, are you?
>>
Can I make a Warlock (tome) who primarily uses Shillelagh (club) with GFB/Boom Blade and be at least semi-viable?

EB spam simply doesn't fit the character theme very well (grizzled Private Detective type)
>>
>>52370756
I think tavern brawler would be enough for that.
>>
>>52370783
>Jack's great at everything

He has zero charisma.
>>
>>52370718
... what?
>>
>>52370787
That would probably be kinda workable, at least at low levels. I feel like it would lose its viability around the time that martials and bladelocks are getting their second attack.
>>
>>52370426
I remember there was some sort of marketplace where people could sell 5e homebrews. Did that site exist, or am I just a reatard?
>>
>>52370800
It's strange, because it kind of loops back into being good.

Sure, most people hate him, but there's a good enough selection of people who love him to death. Ocelot almost plunged the world into anarchy forever because of his Big Boss man-crush.
>>
>>52370787
Sounds hilariously ineffective, I would definitely go for it. I love how every single thread is filled with warlock players doing incredibly, aggressive stupid shit like that and letting their whole party down.
>>
>>52370800
Which is why I have an 8 in CHA with no proficienies in related skills
>>
>>52370756
No, a fighter would know how to fight without his weapons, CQC isn't all that flashy or monkish it's just some basic I lost my weapon shit that really any D&D fighter would know.
>>52370783
No, he's an infiltrator, not a jack of all trades, and the second greatest soldier ever to live after Solid, who by virtue of beating both Big Boss's and living out his life to a natural death, is the greatest soldier of all time, Big Boss would be a Fighter period, plain and simple.
>>
>>52370819
http://www.dmsguild.com/

Don't sell stuff you'd want to sell in larger products or that contain your homebrew lore/rules. Basically only sell stuff you wouldn't sell elsewhere and/or use WotC IPs that you wouldn't be able to use elsewhere.
>>
Anyone want to help me come up with a backstory (and way of playing) an orc rogue who's not sneaky, but thinks he is?

Someone suggested a grandma-type background that I liked.
>>
I am playing a 13th level Loremaster Wizard right now and am soon going to hit 14th level. What are some cool spells to grab with Master of Magic? A clutch Divine Word, Revivify, or Regenerate would be dandy, but I am at a loss for what other fun spells I could play with.
>>
1d8+Cha that increases by 1d8 at 5, 11 and 17 with another effect. Sounds not great, still workable.

I feel like going Bladelock would be better. if you can use the Hexblade option much better.
>>
>>52370865
Thanks anon, this is exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>52370786
What? How the fuck did you come up with that? What the fuck kind of reasoning is that?
>>
>>52370869
Remember, in the grand scheme of things "nobody saw me" is pretty much the same as "no currently living person saw me."
>>
>>52370787
Sure, but if you want EB to be more in character, you could fluff it into his arcane foci being a lighter or something that could fit into the detective scene. Or go full Harry Dresden and carry a magic club.
>>
>>52370833

I think I wouldn't rate him as being Charismatic during his days as Naked snake, but he becomes increasingly more so after he assumes the title of Big Boss. I mean a major plot point in the later games is that hisssss dominant genes were the ones that let him be a charismatic super leader.

>>52370855

Any fighter might, but he gets more CQC with monk. Use a shortsword, get extra Big Bawss CQC every round instead of dinky little dmg 1 punches. Go monk 3 to get the knockdown strikes of open hand maybe.
>>
>>52370930
I love it. I also had the idea that any person he comes across, he threatens to not say a word.
>>
File: s2.jpg (174KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
s2.jpg
174KB, 500x400px
How does /5eg/ feel about retconning stats based on how a PC is being RPed?

We're a month into a new campaign. One player made an American-Southern aristocrat type character and took charisma as his dump stat, the logic being the character would be super haughty and aloof in social interactions. Over the past month the character has evolved into more of a devilishly charming smooth-talking snake-oil salesman type of guy. I've talked with the player and we both agree his PC having 9 CHA is not reflective of how the PC is being RPed.

This is my first time DMing and I don't know whether I should tell him to rearrange his stats to better reflect his RPing or to RP differently or just to ignore it or what. Someone help.
>>
>>52370924
Cuz most of the time people insinuate Tiamat is somehow weak (despite that she'd eat any signature FR character or party for lunch, esp if airborne at night) they mean "because Nuclear Druid lmao"
>>
>>52370855
>CQC isn't all that flashy
>Implying a common soilder knows the basics of CQC
https://youtu.be/FcJSHQMx27w?t=3m26s
>>
>>52370957
"Thrag think you have nice bone structure. Thrag think it would be a shame if Thrag have to ruin such pretty bone structure. With a club."
>>
>>52370963
If someone played a low strength, athletics expertise, str advantage grappler who puts dragons in choke holds, would you say "you are not roleplaying your character like your strength would indicate!"?
>>
>>52370535
Nice. Sounds like damn good role-playing.
>>
>>52370695
Good, it's good that you haven't. He's a piece of shit who wanted all of the Youtube RPG viewership pie to himself. As someone else said he's creepy-wholesome and comes off condescending rather than actually passionate about whatever he's trying to educate about or discuss.
He isn't any good at what he does so to monopolize he stooped to bullying other RPG youtubers through fake accounts. He got caught out on this.
>>
>>52370963
I would say give them a stat boost of 1 for now, so that it's at least not giving any negative stats. But offer up the reshuffling as well.
>>
>>52370964
That shouldn't be the case, to use still being tested UA rules to say something is weak is fucking retarded and devoid of any actual argument or thought.
I am disappointed in that her stats feel a bit barebones, but this seems true for most named NPCs, ie certain abilities lack flavor or uniqueness.
>>
>>52370963
What's his class? Let him swap another dump stat like INT into it.
>>
>>52370947
I could see one level of monk, maybe, as he was a master of CQC and in actuality it's co-creator, he surpassed The Boss, who was also a co-creator of CQC, but I stand by Battlemaster Fighter through and through, because if you played it right, Big Boss never used CQC and was never seen by common soldiers.
>>52370968
American soldiers were all taught it by Naked Snake and The Boss, and those they taught the Russians didn't consider it worth it, and most likely kept on with Sambo.
>>
>>52370835
Maybe thats because "spamming EB every round in combat forever" doesn't fit the theme of every character who made a bargain for power? It wouldn't be an issue if Bladelock wasn't a fucking joke.
>hurr I can hit things with a glaive
>or I can use Force glaives from 300 feet away with more attacks and without wasting invocation slots

>>52370944
I considered that, and I'll likely take EB and Agonizing Blast just because not taking them is just stupid. I suppose I'll just have to rework the character theme a bit for casting.
>>
>>52370869
I'm thinking about that Dark Brotherhood Orc from Oblivion, but he knew he wasn't sneaky. I'm also thinking of a Mr. Magoo type character.

Maybe there was once a gang on thieves that tried to rob a orc tribe of their relics. They were caught, and put on trial. An agreement was made, where they were allowed to be free, but only if they took the chieftain's son with them who always wanted to be a rogue. They were also cursed - any harm inflicted on the orc would be copied on to each of them. Even worse is that the orc was given an wand that could inject a slow, deadly poison into the thieves at will (Basically, they were given tracking collars).

So they have to go sneaking around with him. Heists would involve the group running ahead to diminish threats as the hulking orc stomped through, always thinking he was sneaky and never knowing the truth.

Eventually his ego surpassed his companions, and decided to part ways.
>>
>>52370426
How would the ability to cast spells affect a monsters CR?
>>
File: shit.png (63KB, 837x802px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
63KB, 837x802px
Why is this spell so SHIT?
Does it even do anything? FUCK
>>
>>52371072
>Maybe thats because "spamming EB every round in combat forever" doesn't fit the theme of every character who made a bargain for power?

How about the fucking cleric then? derp
>>
>>52371054

I agree battlemaster is the way to go (along with one level of rogue for expertise in stealth), I just think he'd have one level of monk as well.
>>
>>52371094
Clerics are explicitly different from warlocks. Im pretty sure it even says so in the PHB that gods are not patrons.
>>
>>52371080
Depends on the spell. Many spells don't affect it at all.
>>
>>52371105
No rogue levels, he could get stealth proficiency from his Spec Ops./Child Soldier background, perhaps with a homebrewed feat rather than monk levels to account for CQC shenanigans.
>>
>>52370986
Well this isn't a mechanics-based issue so it's different than your example

>>52371018
>>52371050
He's a multiclass fighter/wizard. The only other stat he doesn't use is WIS but that's also pretty low. I guess I'll make him take a hit to one of his combat stats and swap that with CHA. Seems like the only fair solution to other players.
>>
>>52371072
Well hold on a second. I think you can do a grizzled PI with spellcasting.

How about a focus being a crossbow? You can probably convince your DM to let you have a crossbow that you use to "cast" your spells, instead of just crazy magic styling. Keep the grizzled PI without being insanely occult. And if you're going for melee, Hexblade could be a good pact.
>>
>>52371113
>Clerics are explicitly different from warlocks.

Only in a vague flavor sense, and of course mechanical.

> Im pretty sure it even says so in the PHB that gods are not patrons.

The fact that many PHB warlock patrons are deities disproves your theory, and in Volo's, again, it has a number of deities also sponsoring warlocks.
>>
>>52371114
I mean, when we're talking about 5-6 spell levels worth of spells, it's going to be hard to determine each individual spell's effect on CR. Is there a general rule of thumb I could use?
>>
>>52371091
Wait the spell list in the mega is missing a lot of text for this spell. It all makes sense now.
>>
>>52371147
Yeah theyll still be a detective dude just with a bit more magic to them.
I'll probably just make EB into eye lasers or something since they've got a magic eyeballs theme.
>>
notice how 90% of the people that say warlock isnt a bad class either talk about dipping 2 levels in it or that using the same cantrip as your most effectively way to do anything in combat from level 1-20 is good design

the class is almost as bad as the PHB ranger and needs to be built from the ground up again, it was a failure and WOTC needs to admit it and rework it
>>
>>52371190
If there are buffs, calculate the monster's CR with the buffs applied

if there is damage, use that, etc.

If you're thinking something like "each x of spellcasting adds y to CR" then the obvious answer is hell no.

The precedence of hags, however, is that adding 12 caster levels adds +2 to CR.
>>
Worst subclasses for each class so far? UA included
>>
>>52371091
>Kraken wrecking shit all over the sea
>Cast spell on an island
>2 days pass, Kraken appears

Or you can use it on a boat to make sure it DOESN'T appear.

Cast it on an airship in elemental chaos to ignore warring quasits

It might also just be considered fluff, a game mechanic basically. I can imagine Wizards and Druids that are tasked in magical defenses of their land using this spell to ward off invaders. Its not concentration, so it can be stacked... If you can recover that spell slot.
>>
Shillelagh should work for any one handed melee weapon without thrown, reach, or heavy (or just make those properties not work with it)

Itd make no difference mechanically (well apart from maybe being piercing/slashing) but let people have more variety.
>>
>>52370670
>Level 20
No he isn't
>>
>>52371219
Cantrips scaling with character level instead of class level was a mistake.
>>
>Stone of Luck

Christ that is savage

There will be some booty blasted players who complain about failing when others succeed on same or lower score
>>
>>52371273
Not at all, 3e's unscaling spells are a mistake.
>>
>>52371224
PHB only

>Barbarian
Path of The Berserker

>Bard
College of Valor

>Cleric
War Domain

>Druid
Circle of The Land

>Fighter
Eldritch Knight

>Monk
Way of The Four Elements

>Paladin
Oath of The Ancients

>Ranger
Beast Master

>Rogue
Thief

>Sorcerer
Wild Magic

>Warlock
Fiend

>Wizard
Evocation

Some of these are really close to the point of it not mattering much (Oath of The Ancients isn't really much weaker than the other two options for example) but these are still generally true.
>>
File: 371.jpg (63KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
371.jpg
63KB, 450x450px
Is there even a single person in this fucking place that doesn't play a caster?
>>
Here are the longest 5 names from the last run of my name generator:

Alerraxwenshonniquelsonshoe
Amariamonnionackylakaimitch
Remphriquiellexishonaleston
Maresuelsondrishaullillerton
Lukerlandrickobelazequellannord

Here are the shortest 5:

Bo
Ty
Aad
Aar
Ace
>>
>>52371302
They're both bad.
>>
>>52371308
The only casters I play are bladelock and half-casters like paladin or the homebrew avenger
>>
>>52371304
>Oath of the Ancients
>bad

Are you a fucking retard?
>>
>>52371317
Are you me?
>>
>>52371308
Barbarians are fun as fuck m8, I'm having a ball.
>>
>>52371304
>berserker
>land circle
>war cleric
>fiend
>evocation
>wild magic

Someone doesn't like doing damage.
>>
Anyone else think the beholder anti magic cone is too large?

150ft. Cone blankets the whole party so the beholder cant use his own dang eyerays
>>
>>52371272
Well I guess, technically you'd be right, in his own universe, he would be equivalent to a level 10 Fighter at most, but the original poster said othing about apeing Big Boss directly, in his own universe. He just asked how one would build Big Boss in 5e D&D, and I would do it with Battlemaster Fighter.
>>
>>52371321
>Some of these are really close to the point of it not mattering much (Oath of The Ancients isn't really much weaker than the other two options for example) but these are still generally true.
>>
>>52371308
Psionic aint a caster, right?
>>
>>52371292
If you mean the Stone of Ill Luck from "The hidden Shrine" in ToYP, I agree. it is the most dickish "magic item" in the lower tiers of magic items.
>>
> me and a group of friends might be playing Curse of Strahd this summer
Kinda hyped. I've heard good things. Anything I can do to prepare? I've never played in a game, but I've seen many played (Podcasts and shit) and been on /tg/ for a couple years.

I'd prefer to read about the setting a little beforehand so I won't be completely ignorant of everything but it seems that kind of thing is hidden away in the GM's kit.
>>
>>52371304
I agrre with all these except Cleric, Rogue and maybe Warlock.

Nature Cleric's really bad but all Clerics are full spellcasters so it's not a huge deal.

Assassin's only good trick is auto-crit. Which is good but doesn't work as often as you'd want. A Thief can do physical tasks well, get extra times to use items, have Advantage on all Stealth Checks and depending on the game being able to use any magic items is powerful.

Fiend's level 1 feature is pretty good as well. Though the patron doesn't do much for a Warlock.
>>
>>52371308

I play fighter, 5th is fun as fuck for fighters. Would play the reboot of ranger also.
>>
Is there any point to increasing a stat from, say, 17 to 19 instead of just putting it to 18 to get the modifier bonus?
>>
>>52371224
Barb: Beserker

Bard: Not sure. Lore is really good, makes the rest look bad.

Cleric: Eh, I'd say Life. Hear me out, healing is kinda a bad role to be in, and that's what Life does. It heals well, but when you've got short rests and long ones heal to full, well, healing word to prop players back up is all you need, and the Favored Soul is the best at that.

Druid: Land.

Fighter: Champion. Doesn't get a good feature until 10th level. After that, it's more even, with EK being a bit "weaker" but more versatile. I'd take an EK over a champ every time.

Monk: 4 elements.

Pally: They're all kinda meh.

Ranger: if PHB, Beastmaster. RevRanger, they're all pretty good, but Hunter didn't get as much new stuff, so it got left behind.

Rouge: Mastermind. Answer looking for a problem.

Sorcerer: Wild Magic. Your subclass features are impossible to base a strategy around and pretty much never happen. gg.

Warlock: Patronwise? They're all decent. Boon? I'd say the Fiend one is the most boring, but it's not bad. Blade was worst before UA. Chain is probably the worst after, but it's not bad.

Wizard: Enchanter, just because so many other classes can do it better.
>>
>>52371342
Right, but you were making the claim that these were "the worst."
>>
What's the point of sunbeam when I could just be lobbing cantrips around and using my concentration on good buffs like haste?
>>
>>52371308
I play God, so I don't play a caster, per se, more force of nature, mind of the universe.
>>52371344
Yes they are.
>>
>>52371325
Well, let's see:
>never plays humans or monster races, just demihuman races
>likes being either incredibly fast or having the ability to teleport/misty step (inb4 sanic/nothin personnel)
>almost exclusively uses swords, greatswords if available
>am almost always the sustainable damage dealer
>favorite archetypes are swashbuckler rogue, vengeance paladin, fiend bladelock, and homebrewed avenger based on the 4e class
>>
File: tg sheet.pdf (132KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
tg sheet.pdf
132KB, 1x1px
>>52371360
As a player? Not much you can do other than make a character. Wanna start up now?
>>
>>52371308
Rangers, Barbarians, Druids and Clerics are my main options. Ranger is definitely in the lead.
>>
>>52371308
The vast majority, probably.

Campaign after campaign and no full casters.
>>
>>52371388
>ammunition
>>
>>52371388
Yeah, as a player. I don't know what class I'm gonna be playing since I'd prefer to work around the party and see what we need, but it'll be a while because that's a few months away.
>>
>>52371377
>I play God
Is this how you say GM?
>>
>>52371385
Damn, I always play humans but the rest is true save for the rogue part. Vengeance Paladin and Fiend Bladelock are my favorites. god bless
>>
>>52371405
Sometimes DMs make you keep track of your crossbow bolts or arrows, anon.
>>
>>52371416
My class and weapon combined with teleport imply edgelord but I actually avoid CN and non-LE evil characters like the plague. If anything my characters tend to be overwhelmingly "nice"
>>
>>52371144

Rogue for expertise, not just proficiency. Doubles his prof bonus for stealth to make him super sneaky.
>>
>>52371308
I played a Goliath battle-master fighter throughout OotA. But I did pick up Magic initiate at level 12 for flavor reasons. I wanted him to start dipping into his faith a bit more, he worshiped the goddess of winter and snowstorms and witnessed on several occasions first-hand how potent a cleric could be.
>>
>>52371419
I never play ranged, in all the groups and campaigns I've run or been in have had either casters or throwing weapons for ranged
>>
>>52371409
Well that's the best part of having so much time and so much creativity. You can just make characters in EVERY CLASS.
>>
>>52371424
Good man, LE is the only acceptable kind of evil.
>>
I'm going to be running the TftYP dungeons as a pseudo-campaign soon with the players being in some sort of great dungeon delving tournament and competing against other groups comprised of NPCs, as in they'd see and meet the other groups in the Yawning Portal and staging areas, establish rivalries with some groups, have some groups not make it back, etc. But I'm having trouble thinking of a way to set it up that'd make at least some sense. I'm thinking I'd need multiple of each dungeon so the "groups" can run it at the same time, and to do that the only things I can come up with for a tournament organizer are either a really powerful mage who magicked the dungeons into existence is doing it for some reason, or a bored god is doing it for entertainment, but both of those seem kind of lame. Anybody have any suggestions?
>>
>>52371410
Yeah, but only because I wanted to be a smartass about it.
>>52371428
Eh I guess, I'd just homebrew a feat to give expertise instead. Honestly, I think Rogue and Fighter should just be folded together, and let archetype/subclass decide what one you fall more in line with.
>>
>>52371373
Enchanter's doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. It's level 2 is pretty good out of combet, the level 6 is brutal and saves casting Shield, level 10 is something Sorcerers do better and the capstone is one of those abilities that require some thinking but can be great.

I will admit, it's overshadowed by Illusionists a lot but I personally get sick of Illusionist players and their "Creative solution to problems" that they read online and isn't cool or funny.
>>
>>52371419
I use it. Even if its for my own limitation, I still enjoy it. If the DM doesn't track it, then I just assume I recover them all from victorious battles.
>>
>>52371446
Well, what's the atmosphere like for Strahd? Grim and stuff right?
>>
>>52371474
Enchanter level 2 is good even for combat. You can concentrate other spell while doing it.
>>
>>52370668
1. A feat is a heavy cost on a class that needs one skill for defense, hitting, and damage, another or defense and saving throws, and yet another for defense.
2. Not enough movement to get in AND out, or environmental or legendary effects that prohibit you
>>
>>52371525
Considering I'm a huge fan of them and have played several, I never noticed that. I guess a concentration spell plus locking down an enemy is even better now.
>>
>>52371499
For Strahd? Grim. Picture, well, Dracula. The novel, how the town around Dracula's castle was. Strahd is very much styled on that setting, as it's first iteration was made to rekindle the feelings that book made for Vampires.

But the thing about Strahd is that you don't start in his land, usually. You can make whoever, provided they aren't comedy focused, and they'll likely be either dropped into Strahd's land, or sent into it.
>>
>>52370691
Damage shouldn't stop the long rest but roll it each hour (so they can choose to stop) and make the damage only take AFTER the rest (so they cant just use the rest to heal the poison damage)

As to the vamp spawn, just let the paladin rape it. Its his job
>>
>>52370855
Solid didn't beat Big Boss he beat Venom
>>
I really dig the mechanical aspect of the Hexblade, but they don't really give you much to go on with the patron. I can't think of much to go with myself as desu I am not too creative, what are some cool ideas for a patron of the Hexblade? What might their personality be like? Whats their purpose for creating warlocks?
>>
>>52371676
He beat both of them in Hand to Hand combat, after he destroyed their metal gears, Venom Snake in MG1 and Naked Snake in MG2, Solid Snake is the greatest soldier of all time in the Metal Gear Universe.
>>
>>52371676
Solid beat them both. Venom in MG1, Big Boss himself in MG2. One in Zanzibarland, one in Outer Heaven.
>>
>>52371348
Yah ill sorry. I have a player who I know would have a tantrum
>>
>>52371676
The entire point of MGSV was to explain how Solid Snake somehow managed to kill Big Boss twice in the original Metal Gear games.
>>
>>52371370
Str for example benefits from odd numbers. You may also want to wear heavy armour or qualify for multiclassing
>>
>>52370865

Alright, but then where would we sell *that* stuff?
>>
>>52371546
The other thing people might have missed is the fact that you can use it multiple times without resting. Just not at the same target.

Also having manacle or rope with unseen servant around is also great.
>>
>>52371375
Fighting shapechangers
>>
>>52371792
The main DrivethruRPG site, where you get a bigger cut and retain property rights.
>>
>>52371409
CoS will always need good paladins and good clerics
>>
but isn't their HP carried over between forms?
>>
>>52371409

You can never, ever go wrong in CoS as a LG light cleric.
>>
>>52371851
Werewolf are weaker in humanoid form
>>
>>52371851
Learn how to link to who you're talking to, but no, Shapechangers have different HP when they change forms, and they revert back to natural form if they run out of HP while shapechanged..
>>
File: 1489363300072.jpg (73KB, 901x672px) Image search: [Google]
1489363300072.jpg
73KB, 901x672px
>>52371309
>Ace
>>
>>52371898
jeez, made a single mistake yo.

>>52371897
But the entries for shapechangers seem to usually say "Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form." Is HP not a stat?
>>
can someone post the catgirl pdf? ive been itching to play one
>>
>>52371955
Volo's Guide to Monsters is in the Mega.
>>
>>52371933
I know, which is why I didn't insult you.
>>
My Monk/Ranger Died. I don't think I can make another character with that level of melee damage output. I'm really sad now.
>>
>>52371971
I think he means the homebrew one, not the Tabaxi.
>>
>>52371982
It's pretty easy to make a PC that does literally 0 damage anon
>>
>>52371933
In werewolf case, they can't use claw and bite. Which mean they can't spread curse onto PC.
>>
>>52372019
All right, but I still don't get what the problem is if I use disintegrate while he's a werewolf.

or why Sunbeam will somehow make him go humanoid. Am I missing something?
>>
>>52370426
Give me a simple backstory for a halfling shadow monk, I've never played a monk and my group doesn't give a shit about roleplaying
>>
>>52372042
Disintegrate he dies, And I think Sunbeam does the same?
>>
>>52372042
I believe that if you use disintegrate when he's a transformed, then RAW he would die, but RAI he would just transform back into a human.
Sunbeam doesn't have any special interactions with shapechangers, but a failed save against Moonbeam will change them back to their original form because it's just something that spell does.
>>
>>52372042
Disintegrate kills the werewolf while transformed because it reduces him to 0 HP and thereby turns him into dust.
Anything that reduces a transformed shapechanger to 0 HP that doesn't literally turn them into dust will just transform them back to their original form, because that's how polymorph effects work in 5e.
Druid shapechange is the same.
>>
>>52372062
Halfling that was abandoned to the Underdark when they were born, then left when they were 6 to run off to a monastery.
>>
>>52371995
Alright, Why do you think that? I'm legitimately curious because I was getting some pretty decent numbers.
>>
>>52372108
but even in that case, my damage per turn would still be better if I just kept throwing cantrips at the guy instead of wasting a valuable known spell for Sunbeam
>>
>>52372130
I say that because Monk does fuckall for damage, and ranger (assuming you weren't using revised) is just generally trash.
If you were pulling decent numbers with it, I'd like to see your setup because I can't really think of a way to make that work without rolling for stats and getting some bullshit.
>>
>>52372172
Maybe they went something like Ranger 3/Monk X, going Hunter archetype for the Ranger and probably Open Hand for Monk.

In theory, you get some castings of Hunter's Mark, some extra damage by picking up Giant Slayer, and just shit tons of extra damage thanks to Hunter's Mark on top of Flurry of Blows hits.

I'm guessing the stats were rolled, as you'd need like an 18 DEX and 16 WIS by level 4 to make it stick.
>>
>>52372172
Died at level 8, probably why the character was still relevant.
5 in Open Hand Monk 3 In Hunter Revised Ranger. Start by placing Hunters Mark since my AC is decent enough to where I can use a round without having to worry about losing too much health. Next Turn I attack, generally I get about 3 hits in, so I'll say 3d6 for Unarmed, another 3 for Hunters mark on each strike, and another d8. So the bare minimum I have on my worst day is 7 damage.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable player at the table, but I was able to get away with this pretty consistently. Although if you have a better idea for a dps build I'm all ears.
>>
File: Catgirls.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Catgirls.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>52371955
Use it's power well kouhai
>>
>>52372172
Wasn't there some guy who complained monks were broken and op in damage dealt to enemies, and who claimed the monks were basically untouchable.
>>
>>52372309
thanks anon
>>
>>52372330
people have claimed both.
>>
File: 1472076252079.png (157KB, 627x516px) Image search: [Google]
1472076252079.png
157KB, 627x516px
Are all female tieflings played by insecure anime-loving girls that look past the whole devil fangs and blood stuff just so they can fanfiction OC a reality?
>>
>>52370964
>>52370786
the hell is this Nuclear Druid shit I keep hearing about
>>
>>52372472
so they can make their fanfiction*

Fuck its late.
>>
>>52372501
A Meme.
>>
>>52372529
Gee thanks I couldn't tell from it being reposted and brought up a whole bunch but what is it?
>>
>>52372544
*from it being brought up a whole bunch
Reposted doesn't work here since I haven't actually seen what it's about yet.
>>
>>52372544
Circle of Twilight Druid from UA, with a dip in Arcana Cleric from Swords Coast
>>
>>52372558
Thank you, now what's the general idea of it? Being able to play druid, cleric, and wizard spells?
>>
>>52372501
The meme build is taking the twilight druid UA, stacking it with the arcana cleric to dish out insane amounts of damage and claiming superiority over opponents like Tiamat.
It's actually pretty fucking retarded because you're multiclassing with UA, which shouldn't be happening and you're claiming superiority through mechanics that are still being tested.
>>
>>52372606
>>52372578
Channeling magic missile through the twilight druid's class feature. Basically putting forth something meaningless and irrelevant.
>>
>>52372578
From my understanding, the gimmick is you gain magic missile, which you then can apply the Twilight Druids damage feature to. The feature applies to every individual missile damage roll, so you effectively multiply the feature by the level you cast it.
>>
>>52372578
Magic Missile at high levels, stack on Twilight Druid's Grim Harvest shit at say level 10 (5d10 to the spell damage, Magic Missile only has 1 dice roll for spell damage of each bolt, so the 5d10 goes on each bolt) and you do retarded damage.

Six Magic Missile Bolts, each with around 27 average damage, so garunteed 100+ damage.
>>
>>52372472
Nope. Our female tiefling is an anime-loving girl who genuinely appreciates the race's fallen and conflicted nature.

Also, "fangs and blood stuff"? Are you sure you're not thinking of vampires?
>>
>>52372558
>>52372606
>>52372623
>>52372631
>>52372635
That combo is basically to show how autistic you are and is a good way to weed out the literal retards who'll try to break a game.
>>
>>52372672
you know what I mean, but hey point still remains.
>>
File: vinny-pooh.png (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
vinny-pooh.png
11KB, 200x200px
>>52370718
is this what joyce would've been like if he played dnd?
>>
>>52372698
who?
>>
>>52372606
>>52372623
>>52372631
>>52372635
Thank you, I'm not so good at the optimizing/combination stuff so I usually need this kind of thing spelled out for me.
I was looking over the Lore Master today, do their +2d10 effect apply to AoE targets? It seems really weirdly worded to me.
>>52372712
James Joyce probably
>>
>>52372719
dude its 3 am, don't throw 20th century authors at me when I'm trying to figure out why my DM thinks the opposite of Mage Hand is Mage Penis.
>>
>>52372734
Your DM is obviously married to Mrs Rosey Palmer.
>>
>>52372684
Yeah, I gotchu.
I've never had a tiefling player who wasn't genuinely into tieflings, and it's pretty great. The current one was involved in some of the darkest, most gothic-horror-esque shenanigans I've ever DM'd.

>>52372734
Because your DM has never encountered the body part the penis is supposed to go into.
>>
>>52370426
How does one make a good battlerager barbarian?
>>
>>52372734
David Foster Wallace then
>>
>>52372764
Ask if you can get Spiked Half-Plate and make the Grapple Damage equal Strength Modifier (with Rage Damage while Raging if you think you can get away with it).
>>
File: 1462990112478.gif (981KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1462990112478.gif
981KB, 267x200px
>>52372757
>Because your DM has never encountered the body part the penis is supposed to go into.
>>
>>52372757
Well seeing as he's probably gay, I have no choice but to agree with you.
>>52372778
Just tell me if you're complimenting me or making fun of me
>>
>>52372757
>>52372793

It's the butthole, right? I always had suspicions.
>>
>>52372802
>seeing as he's probably gay
OK, I have to rephrase my burn.
It's because your DM masturbates a lot.

>>52372814
Yes, anon. Dicks go in butts. Get out there and have fun.
>>
>>52372836
>>52372802
See >>52372755

>>52372814
Sure if that's you want. Claim your share of butts.
>>
>>52372814
p sure
>>
>>52372764
It's okayish. It's just that it conflicts somewhat with GWM, PAM, Shield Master, etc, because of your free attack taking a bonus action.
>>
ugh I just looked up the Warlock player's facebook. Its covered in ponies.

What even is this group i'm in.
>>
>>52372880
Flee now while you still can.
>>
>>52372880
Leave and find a new one then?

Alternatively, would you have known if you didn't check his page? if not, what's the issue?
>>
>>52372900
Because its the same as this guy
>>52370718

Usually stuff like this tends to be packaged together.

I mean, I do like the DM and two of the other players. DM has his quirks (not his sexuality), but has a good personality and is a great storyteller. Hey, I've got my own fucked up stuff. Its just the warlock I really have an issue with, and I know I'm not alone.
>>
>>52372764
Following up on this, why is frenzy barbarian considered the worst archetype? The UA is shit, and 300 gp isn't a lot for a spell.
>>
>>52372936
Exhaustion really piles up and the cons outweigh the pros when your 'all raging all the time' character can't be raging all the time.
>>
File: dwarf.png (1KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf.png
1KB, 128x128px
>>52371308
I only play dwarven barbarians, rangers, or fighters
>>
>>52371409
Well if you're a leader you can be the paladin who gets the sun sword and is the main hero.

Or, if you're cool like me you go CN barbarian dwarf whose approach to combat is a little more reckless than the pretty human paladin's, but just as effective.
>>
>>52371308
I've never had a change to play a non-caster.
>>
>>52372925
And if you want more examples...

>CG, has never done a single Good action. Plays Chaotic stupid
>Never consults group on issues or asks for help
>Acts without thinking or asking how we think
>Wastes time having one on one conversations with the Ranger about out-of-game stuff
>Tries to mind read every sentient being
>Completely absent for any socialization with NPCs
>Player himself has been absent for half the sessions so far
>Never even attempts to be a team player

Dude just scares me. I'm past the point of tolerance. I'm starting to get to the meetup earlier so I can sit as far away from him as possible.
>>
>>52372995
change for a martial down on his luck?
>>
>>52373002
How does the rest of the group[ react to this? Are they not fans of it either?
>>
Should the DM allow you to roll insight checks to see if another player character is lying to yours?
>>
>>52372936
Zealot is pretty good. It give the Barbarian a small radius of guarantied damage, when you compare it to an ability like the Ranger's Whirlwind it's miles ahead and lets you keep attacking normally. Great for grapplers who can lock people down in the aura.

The free revive makes it so you don't even have to worry about dying if someone has the magic for it. It lets you make the risky moves with much less punishment.

The level 6 isn't anything fancy.

Level 10 is situational but with a summon spell and/or some NPC allies it's pretty great for a big fight.

Rage beyond death is just plain awesome.
>>
>>52373041
Fighter sighs with me and accepts it. He and I get along well, and I always prioritize my buffs on him. He just makes the game fun, and when he gets into it I get into it too.

DM and Barbarian do this weird chuckle sometimes. Like they expected him to act like a fuckup. Something's wrong when the LE Barbarian has side with the NG and CG (the actual CG) players right?

And the Ranger? He's the one that drives him to the store. I have no idea what his deal is. He seems friendly enough, but he's got the charisma of a potato. He treats the game as a video game and has a min/maxed character. He also really sucks at getting in character. I can't tell yet if he's doing it on purpose, or if he really has a hard time integrating himself into the game. I'd be ok with the latter.
>>
>>52373049
Nah.
>>
>>52373049
fuck no
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
>Party through various means piss off a group of Giants enough where they are going to attack the nearby town
>Party has no hope of defeating them by themselves
>The option of just leaving the town to its fate is always available
>I also put an encounter with a powerful man who can furnish aid enough to defend the town
>The price is all the treasure and rights to the Giants dungeon and loot
>They take the deal, with their new friends substantial aid, they defend the town
>Still complain bitterly for weeks after they were ripped off

Why does this annoy me?
>>
>>52373133
>DMPC
>>
>>52373144
No, it the assistance of military aid and NPCs for them to control to defend the town.
>>
>amusing tendency to pick the same class as another player in the group
>joined game as paladin, he was already one
>state a character idea for when DMs and campaign cycles before hearing his, we both come to the tables with wizards
>going to be the DM in the upcoming cycle
He's got a bad habit of interrupting me for the longest time, so at least now I can counter itt with 'we can't both be the DM.'
>>
>>52373133
If I was a PC I'd feel ripped off by the experience. I'm assuming the PCs also had no emotional attachment or any investment at all in this town.

Leave town to die and gain nothing.
Ask old man to save the town and gain nothing.

Lose lose situation that doesn't seem very fun because in both outcomes NPCs did all the work.
>>
>>52373039
I want to play a martial. I really do.
I've only played two characters. The second one was going to be a Barbarian, but everyone was a pure-offense/pure-defense martial anyways, so I felt bad and had to play a Wizard instead.

Neither of the two campaigns I've been in have made it to the third session.
>>
>>52373159
so they did extra work and got no reward awesome
>>
>>52370718
>So he gets into a few issues. Tries to push the Ranger, fails. Tries to climb down 10 feet, lands on his ass. Tries to jump over a puddle, falls straight in it. Everyone's joking around, its fun to laugh at things like this. We're just having a good time.

Why is the DM having him roll for things where he shouldn't be?
>>
>>52373174
>>52373182
Them stealing the Macguffin from the Giant leader lead to the retaliation. They got exactly what they wanted for the quest, just no extra loot.

It was a moral choice. They caused the situation and had to decide whether to fix it.

Indeed I suggested they leave a few times as only one of the group is strictly Good.
>>
File: tamoachan-feather-throne.jpg (583KB, 1624x1032px) Image search: [Google]
tamoachan-feather-throne.jpg
583KB, 1624x1032px
So I'm thinking of running Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan for my group. The thing is the dungeon is filled with traps and most of the writing and NPCs speak in a language I know they don't understand.

my players are WoW junkies I've managed to get to try out D&D. I ran LMoP and they loved it. but they kinda solve most of their problems with murder and unless I'm mistaken, you can't stab a sealed room filling with sand to death.

Do I give them an a bad parody of Indiana Jones NPC Questgiver/skill monkey helper or should I let them stumble around the trap infested pyramid by themselves?
>>
>>52373186
Because he likes to punish our flaws. Strength checks are used in climbing and pushing, and Athletics in jumping. Makes sense for me.

Of course, none of us have an issue with it since its usually not a big deal.
>>
>>52373210
So you're telling me a group of evi/neutral players defended a town they could've left at any time knowing they would get no reward?

Tell them to change their alignments right now.
>>
>>52373236
Doesn't work that way at all anon. Evil and Good are not even 1% mirror images.
>>
>>52373217

Depends on what you think will be most fun for them. An NPC probably wouldn't go awry if they don't have good thinking caps at least. I also want to run Tamoachan because it looks fun as fuck.
>>
File: Olmec.jpg (40KB, 620x472px) Image search: [Google]
Olmec.jpg
40KB, 620x472px
>>52373272
its a less harsh Tomb of Horrors with an Aztec-Mayan flavoring
>>
>>52373220
Your Strength (Athletics) check covers DIFFICULT situations you encounter while climbing, jumping, or swimming.

As per the RAW, a 6 str character can jump 3 feet from a standing jump, and 6 feet if you move at least 10 ft before jumping, with no problems. The aforementioned assuming the height of your jump didn't matter, such as the jump across a stream or a chasm, aka there are no obstacles. Similar shit for climbing/swimming. (PHB182, 175)

If you're all fine with it, then who cares. But just know that both you and your DM were patronizing him with your babysitter eye-locks when you're actually using homerules instead of the raw.
>>
>>52373049
Usually, i'd say fuck no. That said, sometimes it's appropriate if a player knows something OOC that the character doesn't.

from the last few sessions with my group:

>gnome ranger bought several chickens early in the campaign, wants to train them to fight and eventually power them up somehow
>always talking about his chickens, RPing training them every long rest
>party is getting pretty annoyed by this
>constant party jokes about eating the chickens
>monk starts sabotaging training by conditioning chickens to attack green clothing (ranger is the only party member wearing green)
>last session ranger spends 20 minutes talking to a mage trying to work out how to power up the chickens
>party is thoroughly sick of this
>pass notes, orchestrating a plan to buy similar chickens and swap them out
>ranger's player sees this and realises what's going on, but's a good cunt and doesn't metagame
>we sawp them out, then hide the original chickens in the group's new shiny bag of holding
>plan is to cook and eat the replacement chickens in front of ranger, then reveal the swap later
>no casters and we all fail the arcana check and don't realise there's no air inside the bag
>for plot reasons we're about to take a teleport to the other side of the continent
>ranger decides not to take the chickens with him
>ohshit
>next session
>we realise the joke's gone horribly wrong
>new plan is to release them into the wilds and never speak of it again
>open bag to find dead chickens
>try to dispose of the corpses by putting them in the cooking pot for dinner
>ranger passes perception check
>try to bluff that we're cooking the replacements, not his beloved pets

Here, it was appropriate - OOC, he knew what was going on, but he roleplayed it out and rolled insight to work out if it was a lie or not - he had no IC reason to instantly assume it was a lie.

...That was a really boring and pointless story to prove a minor point, sorry if you actually read all that.
>>
>>52370364
Variant human for Medium Armor Master at level 1, 16 Dex, and then shield + rapier. Honestly I think Vengeance paladins and Treachery oathbreakers work better this way than with Strength.
>>
File: 1406007615004.gif (1020KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
1406007615004.gif
1020KB, 400x229px
>>52373049
More like

>Should the DM ever let you roll Insight to cheat and get free answers without engaging critical thinking skills
>>
>>52373433
lol! It depends on how you want to play!

I enjoy engaging my players with difficult players, but some people do that sort of thing at work all day and like mindless dice rolling to relax!
>>
Any suggestions for Magic Item blueprints/recipes? I'd like to put them in my game in order to incite initiative from my players. So far the first thing I've got is Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, which require newly-made gauntlets and magic conducting crystals totaling 500 GP, as well as requiring an ogre's spirit, which they'll need an ogre for, either to persuade it to die for it or killing it and harvesting his soul from the afterlife.

Hoping for comments and suggestions!
>>
>>52373482
lol! This sounds like a fun idea! I would like to play as ashnod's transmogrant (its my favorite magic card) which turns someone into an artifact! You can make it with molten sand, or metal tears or somethign! It turns someone into a warforged, if they want!
>>
I'm suddenly inspired to do a Japanese delinquent/Banchou-esque game, however the majority of my party are only really familiar with the 5E system, and I don't think they'd really want to change it up that much even if they like the setting.
Before I go about changing things in 5E to suit the theme, has anyone done anything similar to this? I'm thinking of just restricting classes to non-magic themes, turning cigarettes into currency, emphasizing unarmed/blunt weapons and converting bladed weapons into the nuclear option, but if it's been done before I'd rather save the time and work off that.
>>
>>52373503
This doesn't sound entirely sincere.
>>
File: 1468524377758.png (246KB, 288x300px) Image search: [Google]
1468524377758.png
246KB, 288x300px
>>52373456
>>52373503
>lol!
>>
File: 1453022518389.gif (2MB, 240x220px) Image search: [Google]
1453022518389.gif
2MB, 240x220px
>>52373456
>>52373503
>lol!
>>
>>52373505
lol! You don't need to change the rules in the slightest! Just limit people to fighter, mage, or monk, and have a few priests.

You can call them by the appropriate japanese names if you prefer, but you don't need to change any of the rules!!
>>
>>52373516
lol! I'm quite serious. I've always liked that card. I used it to kill my opponents creatures with disenchant. !I didn't realize that I was losing a card when I did that
>>
is this the new shitpost meta
>>
>>52372951
I don't know about you, but I rarely have need to use skill checks. Also, most of the a party member can manipulate the fight so that I can crawl over and whale on the guy. Level 3 isn't even that bad because of reckless attack.
>>
>>52373399
>boring and pointless story
Lol no anon, that was great
>>
>>52373179
so, 4 sessions total?
>>
>>52373560
Yup. Two DMs, two campaigns, two sessions each.
DM 1 quit because of time constraints and lack of liking using Roll20 to DM over the physical.
DM 2 quit because of massive stress pileup from other matters and time constraints.

Both of which had the third session delayed for a month each before I talked to them about it in DMs and they said that it was cancelled.
>>
>>52373217
Will they be new characters? One of the characters could be a Oman scholar and be responsible for finding the shrines location and enlisting the other players

An early helm of comprehend languages COINCIDENTALLY dropping in loot could work, or ask a warlock player to take eyes of runekeeper
>>
>>52373556
Thanks for reading I guess.

If you care at all, he passed the insight check and tackled one of the fighters in rage.

As it turned out, the fighter was A) significantly larger and B) the one party member not complicit in the plan.

After being 'restrained' (picked up by the scruff of her neck and held at arm's length until they calmed down), the ranger held a mini funeral for the pot of chicken soup. We didn't even get to eat it in the end, and all feel terrible.
>>
>>52373217
I'm just reading it now. If my players wait for Tlacopas to fully regenerate and get his axe, yeesh, this guy is a monster. 93hp, 18 AC, 2x +8 to hit 1d10+5 damage, at will hold person etc
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (23KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1365812965578.jpg
23KB, 411x292px
What are some good non-Bard spells for a Lore Bard to learn at level 6 and 10?

I was thinking Shield and Counterspell, and perhaps for a damaging Cantrip but that feels like a waste.
>>
I'm looking at spicing up combat, and I recently discovered how cool some of the 4e terrain features were for making a dynamic battlefield.

Are there any resources porting them over to 5e? I'm considering adding some of them as-is to my group, but there's quite a few that activate when a player uses a healing surge. Is there anything roughly equivalent in 5e that I could have it trigger on instead?

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fantastic_Terrain_(4e_Index)
https://oneinchsquare.net/2010/08/24/a-mostly-comprehensive-list-of-fantastic-terrain-in-4e-dd/
>>
>>52373621
F for the battlechickens
May they feed and cluck in Valhalla
>>
>>52373599
no, they most definitely want to stay as the same characters

Barbarian
Ranger
Paladin
Cleric
Wizard (mostly blasting)
>>
>>52373648
Spirit Guardians - Battlefield control with damage, concentration, 10 minute duration
Spiritual Weapon - bonus action damage, no concentration
Aura of Vitality - lets you heal with your bonus action until concentration breaks
Counterspell - almost always worth throwing, your level 3 spell slots stay the same, the enemies get stronger
Hunger of Hadar - Darkness+, one of the most versatile battlefield control spells, isn't dispelled by light variants.
Fly - Top tier defensive spell, also for all your non-combat mobility needs
>>
>>52373049
Absolutely. The tricky part is how the DM decides to impart the results. Watch high rollers and see how Mark handles it.
>>
First time player here. Gonna play a half orc totem barbarian. How do l not fuck this up?
>>
Is the Spell-less Ranger any good with the Revised Ranger? I'd heard some people scream the Spell-less was OP and others say it's hideously weak.

Also I'm wondering what would be an acceptable trade off to ask for because I'm loosing extra spells on a Deepstalker.
>>
>>52373762
bear totem
>>
File: Badger Totem.png (263KB, 498x526px) Image search: [Google]
Badger Totem.png
263KB, 498x526px
>>52373762
>>
>>52373762
Bear totem is the way to go.

Resistance to all bar one damage types while raging is great.
>>
>>52373802
>Someone posts your homebrew

This is a pretty fucking good feel.
>>
>>52373858
i was the guy who said slashing damage, burrow speed, and the grapple attack
>>
>>52370581
Shadowmonk 6/Scout Rogue 6

Enjoy being the stealthiest mobile fucker arround.
>>
>>52373858
>>52373870
Not the barb guy, but saving. Good stuff
>>
>>52373715
Comprehend Languages is a ritual

If he doesn't have it, drop it in a scroll
>>52373762
Half-Orc + totem barb, you can't really fuck it up
>>
>>52373870
It's a right shame that I'm an always DM and won't likely get to try it for a long time. Also when you mentioned burrow speed I realised there's no way other then shapeshifting to get it, which is kinda weird.
>>
>>52371091
I believe you found an explanation why citties exist in a world with monsters and magic.
>>
>>52371091
Nearly TPK'd my party in Amber Temple with it
>>
Does anyone have advice for how to get a Roll20 map to align to the grid right? I'm using a shitty mouse and no matter what I do it doesn't work right.
>>
>>52373971
get a better mouse
>>
>>52373889
Yeah that would work. I think quest giver will be an elderly colleague that gives him the scroll too.
>>
>>52371304
These being shit...I can't agree with it.

>Bard
College of Valor
>A full caster Gish with a d8 Hp die.

>Fighter
Eldritch Knight
>The subclass best suited to tanking.

>Paladin
Oath of The Ancients
>Resistance TO ALL MAGIC to you and your allies within 10 ft of you. Immortality. Chanel divinity that lets you deal with fey and fiens that have shapeshifted. Being able to tie down an enemy regardless of size category.

>Rogue
Thief
>Fast hands is one of the better skill monkey features out there. Use your bonus action to pick a lock while running, use a healer kit to get your allies up, spread out caltrops for a pursuing enemy, pour vials of acid or oil at critical moments.

>Warlock
Fiend
>The tankiest damage dealer among warlocks.

>Wizard
Evocation
>Why do you hate the simple blaster class?
>>
>>52373889
>>52373775
>>52373817
l'm also going 15 15 15 8 8 8 for stats, plus racial bonuses. How fucked am l?
>>
>>52374031
Personally i'd lower DEX to shore up some of those 8's. DEX is great for initiative and is one of the better saves, but isn't so useful for the Barb overall.
>>
>>52373996
I think you have him confused.

He isn't saying those subclasses are bad necessarily, only that they aren't as good as the other options. Paladin is specifically mentioned in this. Ancients isn't bad, but the other two are better mostly due to being less situational.
>>
>>52374031
go for 15 8 15 8 8 15 for total meme
>>
>>52374053
And Barbs get advantage on most dex saves anyway, and the barbarian is THE target for charm/possession/hold person etc etc so Wis saves are good
>>
>>52370505
>>52370505
I dont see it anon. Where at in the mega?
>>
>>52374073
you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>52374073
Look for Tales from the Yawning Portal under adventures.
>>
>>52374053
>>52374070
>>52374064
Yeah but won't my AC go down substantially?
>>
If a Monk is dual wielding or using a two handed weapon, can they still use an unarmed strike as a bonus action? Unarmed is described as kicks and headbutts so I would say yes but what about you guys?
>>
>>52374084
>>52374090
I was looking under rulebooks. >.<
>>
>>52374110
you're a fucking retard
dual wielding requires the use of your bonus action
and no monk would use a two handed weapon since they are dex based
what a stupid fucking question
>>
>>52374104
....You're a barbarian. You don't tank by hiding in some pussy-ass armor, you get in their face, rage, and laugh at their puny damage rolls. Then you push their shit in and go look for real opponents.
>>
>>52374139
Not him, and he is a bit dense but two-handing a quarterstaff or spear is done by most monks.
>>
>>52374104
Use medium armour and a shield.
>>
>>52374164
>or spear
never heard of that
>>
>>52374110
>>52374139
Read PHB78, martial arts.
>>
>>52374139
>dual wielding requires the use of your bonus action
Completely slipped my mind
>no monk would use a two handed weapon since they are dex based
Well you can two hand a quarterstaff. Don't know how switching on the fly between versatile and non works out so yeah.
I need to sleep
>>
>>52374178
>Read PHB78, martial arts.
i ain't readin' shit
>>
>>52374174
It's a simple versatile weapon that monks have so it works. Also better flavor unless you're going full bruce lee.
>>
>>52374189
monks are ghey
>>
>>52374183
You can use a Spear or Quarterstaff two-handed. As long as it's a simple versatile weapon you can hold it how ever you want.
>>
>>52374183
>Don't know how switching on the fly between versatile and non works out so yeah.
Using two hands for either a 2H weapon or a versatile weapon only matters for the attack roll. You can easily attack with the versatile property and then bonus action the unarmed strike.
>>
>>52371388
you forgot page 2 with all your background stuff and misc notes.
>>
File: Shane the Shy.png (477KB, 1185x2294px) Image search: [Google]
Shane the Shy.png
477KB, 1185x2294px
>>52373133
>>52373210
That "friend" is the new antagonist, right?
>>
My DM won't let me be a medium sized star fighter jet.

What's the easiest way to be one anyways?

I require :

- Infinite blaster attacks
- A way to modulate my blaster attacks (this can be limited)
- A hull
- Infinite flight, preferably not due to wings

I'm thinking Warlock but I'm open to interpretations.
>>
>>52374313
Fighter with blowpipe and sharpshooter with fly cast upon you.
>>
>>52374337
That's not infinite flight at all.
>>
>>52374313
size S beastmaster with pteradactyl companion, and some sort of ranged weapon plus sharpshooter and hunters mark. buy barding for pteradactyl as "hull"
>>
>>52374313
>Concentrate on Fly, have Magic Armor up, Shield as needed
>Cast blasts, cantrips are infinite but weak, Fireballs are missiles
You're an Evocation Wizard or a Phoenix Sorcerer, potentially a Fiend Warlock could do it too (that kiss of belzebub invocation looks tasty)
>>
>>52374313
The only sources of infinite flight :

- being an Aarakocra (racial)
- being a Winged Tiefling (also racial)
- being a level 18 Storm Sorcerer (magical, no wings)
- being a level 14 Sorcerer that chose Draconic Wings

Even the flying cape is limited, there's no ring of flight, and levitation only raises you 20 feet.

>>52374414
This is actually fucking brilliant.
>>
>>52374313
Gunsmith Artificer, ride a Giant Eagle statted robot as your jet, you've got a big ass gun that can even shoot different modes as you level.
>>
>removing large portion of treasure at the end of Hidden Shrine curses you and Zotz sends vampires and giant bats after you

I'm thinking a follow up campaign of the players tracking down all the statues and goblets from the hoard they sold before they get killed by vengeful batgod vampires
>>
File: aztec-gold.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
aztec-gold.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
>>52374482
You just finished watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean, didn't you.
>>
>>52374313
Artificer.

Literally make your level 6 pet a jet you can climb in.

Take two levels of warlock for eldritch repelling+agonizing blast. Take up to level 5 in fey warlock and grab the -10ft speed invocation on your eldritch blasts or the 300ft range invocation if you want.
Then maybe grab levels of fighter and sorcerer to blast more.

Of course, this contains >multiclassing with UA
But it's not the broken sort of multiclassing, much.
>>
>>52374453
>a Giant Eagle statted robot as your jet

How is this possible?
>>
>>52374482
>Implying the players would do that
They'd just kill the vampires instead.
>>
>>52374510
Depends on how bad the curse is and how many vampires there are.
>>
File: level 6 rules.jpg (113KB, 348x534px) Image search: [Google]
level 6 rules.jpg
113KB, 348x534px
>>52374504
Any Large CR2 or less beast.

You could probably make some kind of mechaspider tank too.
>>
>>52374504
It's a large beast of CR 2 or lower, making it valid for the Artificers level 6 feature.
>>
>>52374510
Yeah level 7 players are going to kill vampires right
>>52374497
Any murderhobo worth their salt would never give up being an immortal ageless undead pirate
>>
File: Rincewind.jpg (94KB, 332x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rincewind.jpg
94KB, 332x600px
How would I go about playing a Rincewind-style character without being an annoying faggot to the rest of the group?

I want to experiment with a cowardly character, but I can see how that'd annoy everyone else if done wrong.
>>
>>52374504
>>52374520
>>52374523

I have a feeling the DM is just going to tell this guy no.

>Okay so you won't let me be a fighter jet
>What about a gnome piloting a mechanical giant eagle outfitted with my artificer gun
>>
>>52374546
christ this thread
>>
>>52374549
I mean, one of those is completely outside the rules and random as fuck in most settings, the other is within the rules, if allowing for UA, and at least has the
>its magitech, i have to explain very little
angle for it.
>>
>>52374553
what?
>>
>>52374535
A single level 7 could kill a vampire in one turn/round.
>>
>>52374570
Well, to clarify, at least reduce them to 0 HP and mist.

You might need a wizard to create a magic circle or something to ensure they die for good.
>>
>>52374570
How about Strahd?
>>
>>52374570
Let me guess, does this involve aggressively ignoring the Legendary Resistance thing or assuming the vampire will use it on something stupid?
>>
>>52374607
Strahd is not exactly a "vampire", beyond title. He was basically cursed by the Dark Powers. He was never bitten or anything.

Basically "It's Ravenloft, I ain't gotta explain SHIT"
>>
>>52374613
No, you literally just walk up to him and smite his ass on every attack and bam, you're done.

>>52374607
Unless he can resist smites, he's probably going down just as easily.
>>
>>52373762
>Half-orc

Rape babies that should be hung upon sight.
>>
>>52374627
ebin meme there kid, don't cut yourself on all that edge.
>>
>>52374632
>I don't like realism in my world

I bet you fucking allow tieflings as well you goddamn degenerate cuck.
>>
>>52374624
Oh yeah, UA. Boring
>>
>>52374624
Strahd has the Heart of Darkness that can take 50 damage before it is destroyed and only then does Strahd himself start to actually take damage, which he regenerates 20 a turn. He also has multi-attack and all kinds of bullshit - he easily can crank out over 100 points of damage per turn.
>>
>>52374640
>realism
>orcs
>>
>>52374646
>Paladins
>UA
Are you even trying?

I'll admit you might need to grab action surge because you're not reaching paladin level 11 for improved divine smite, but.
Fighter2/Paladin5 cuts it.
>>
>>52374651
If he has the same weakness to radiant stopping 20 regeneration a turn that other vampires do, he won't be regenerating 20 because he's getting fucking smited.

If he can't resist more than 150 in a turn, he's fucked. (I'll admit that you have to get lucky with the damage rolls and hit all attacks unless you have a special weapon, though)
If he can, we'll probably need to call in a second paladin and down him in one round like that.
>>
>>52374640
>muh oppressed whiteboy ego
>>
File: 14586755672331.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
14586755672331.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>52374690
>>
>>52374690
Go back to lefty/pol/ and take your shitty discussion with you.
>>
>>52374685
You're grievously underestimating Strahd. He gets three legendary actions per turn. He will fucking eviscerate a level 7 party, even one tooled to fighting vampires. He is also the king nigger of fighting dirty and will send like 20 dire wolves and 5 vampire spawn in to fuck with you while he is Invisible, Spider-climbing on the ceiling and raining down Fireballs and CL5 Blights and laughing about it.
>>
>>52374673
17d8+25+4d10+1d4+50

That's what i could see for a theoretical fighter 2 paladin 5, with 20 str and PAM and GWM. Not really feasible, but each str only lower the average damage, assuming everything hits for this mock fight, slightly anyway.

176 average damage.
I will note that you need a magical polearm here, or the physical damage is neutered.
>>
>>52374673

That's fine then, its a pretty corner case.
>>
>>52374712
That's a good point -- the assumption was a vampire will sit around in the open, while vampires have the advantage of being the only kind of undead with no spawn control limit.
>>
>>52374713
Fighter2/Paladin5

Attack, attack, bonus action attack, action surge attack, action surge attack, reaction attack.
18 strength. Great weapon fighter (1d10s are 6.3, 1d4s are 3)

5d10+1d4+14d8+24

31.5+3+63+24
=121.5 average damage. A vampire has about 144 average health.
With lucky rolls and a crit or two, the paladin can easily get 144, it's hardly a statistical improbability.

Also it's not hard to hit the AC, especially if you're using devotion's sacred weapon. It's only AC 16.

Yeah, if you only do point buy you don't do awfully well, but it's enough if you get lucky enough on the damage rolls.

If you get 20 str and 20 cha somehow, it might be a good idea to be an oathbreaker for an additional +5 to damage instead of action surge for level 7 paladin without silly multiclassing.

I wouldn't bother with GWM 'cause you need to hit those hits so you can smite shit.

>>52374712
You only get a legendary action at the end of someone's turn.

It the paladin is suitably buffed up by the teammates, this paladin can just run in with haste, smack him in the face and murder him before he can do anything at all.

The only question is if you can work out where he is and if he's not in a hard to get to location you can steamroll him, provided he doesn't get back to coffins.

>>52374714
Well, a non-multiclassed regular paladin and some other character such as a fighter could together also kill a vampire one turn.
An entire party of level 7s could easily do it.
>>
So are there any decent ways to make a non UA sword wielder that can use 9th level spells? Arcana cleric seems obvious. Any other good options?
>>
>>52374750
Bringing an oathbreaker to fight dudes who can be served by nearly unlimited hordes of undead minions may not be the best move.
>>
>>52374750
Wouldn't being an Oathbreaker buff the vampire he's fighting?
>>
>>52374729
>>52374712
>>52374685
>>52374651
>>52374624
>>52374615
Strahd also isn't a fucking retard, he's not going to sit there trading or taking hits. The assumption that he'll just be out in the open going toe to toe with the paladin is fucking retarded as fuck.
>>
>>52374750
If were going all-in, the paladin might as well have used their remaining level 1 spell slot for bless, and the GWM is offset with the charisma bonus.

We could math it out to see which is more likely to kill, GWM or no GWM, but either way, neither is impossible, or even significantly improbable.
>>
>>52374753
Well any spellcaster can get proficiency and use a sword... but why? When is a caster with the capability to cast up to 9th level spells ever going to need a sword? At low levels maybe but Cantrips will be better unless you're a Cleric or Valor Bard who can do both in the same turn.

What type of character are you trying to make?
>>
>>52374750
Strahd is CR15 for a reason. He also effectively has 194 health; the 144 from himself, 50 from the Heart, and he's super paranoid and will run from a fight he doesn't think he can win.

He also is the ruler of the demiplane you're on, and can detect Paladins and other "Pure" souls entering the mist like a god damn light house showing up, so the odds of you getting buffedstuffed and rushing him down for an OHKO is incredibly unlikely. Also dat Legendary Resistance tho
>>
>>52374763
>trading hits

The entire point of this scenario is that the paladin does this in a single turn, albeit with prep.

It's not all that improbable that Strahd wouldn't expect to go down in a 1v1 in a single turn, and since he likes to play the cackling Saturday morning cartoon villain, he might let it happen once.
>>
>>52374771
I'm not sure if Strahd can detect paladins in 5e. That sort of ability definitely doesn't need a comeback.
>>
>>52374786
Is he no longer the Dark Lord of Barovia? It would be weirder if he couldn't detect people entering his domain.
>>
>>52374761
Probably. But you're trying to kill them before they kill you.

>>52374756
Probably, but as above.

>>52374763
>Wow, I'm so smart, I can take turns during someone else's turn
No, he can't. At best he can take a legendary action at the end of their turn to run away. A hasted paladin can start a fight from about 120ft away, run up and smack him a load, so he'd have to know the paladin is there or win initiative (Both of which is entirely possible) before he even gets close.

>>52374771
Well, I guess so. Legendary resistance won't do shit against paladins, but he'll probably reduced to a coward who can't even face the playersin fear of the paladin just walking up and murdering him. If he knows where the paladin is, he'll be fine.

The paladin alone won't make 194 health worth of damage until level 11, but with teammates he could easily surpass 194 at level 7.
>>
>>52374772
Sure your scenario can play out if the DM is playing Strahd like a literal retard. Sure you'll be rolling insanely well both to hit and damage, all of those things are definitely in your favor.

If Strahd isn't surrounded by beasts or vampire spawn and he's fucking around on the ceiling out of your reach when you confront him in the final fight, he's being controlled by a retard.
>>
>>52374804
Right, but singling out paladins is out of place now that magic doesn't really... single people out in that fashion anymore. I'm sure people will try to justify it with "but the dark powers! he's the DARK FUCKIN LORD OF BAROVIA!" but that sort of ability wasn't out of line at the time, and now it is. Humanoids aren't easily identifiable like celestials and fiends are, this is a big deal in 5e.
>>
I mushed in all my favorite Castlevania and Dracula memes into Curse of Strahd to make it even spicier.

This includes :

- The Ebony Stone from Lament of Innocence (permanent covers an area in night - no pesky sunrise to worry about)
- Optional encounter with fucking Death
- Behold my True Power transformations
- Sweet one liners (not What is a man shit, I have SOME taste, thanks)
- Rinaldo
- Grant
- Joachim
>>
>>52374786
>>52374804
>>52374833
Nothing explicitly says he can insta-detect paladins, but he probably would figure that out pretty quickly because he's a smarty pants, not because he's the dark lord.
>>
>>52374833
It has nothing to do with humanity/fey/celestial shit, but Corruption.

A normal person was "Clean", Paladins were "Pure" and evil PCs of any type were "Unclean".

Dark Powers can detect Purity - at least they used to be able to.
>>
>>52374845
Yeah, paladins are not remotely subtle... usually. They are generally going to have a holy symbol on their neck, a holy symbol on their shield, heavy armor, and an edged weapon.
>>
>>52374845
>that huge meaty guy wearing full plate and wielding a giant sword/poleaxe who doesn't seem daunted by magical and undead creatures must surely be a druid

Such a smartypants.
>>
>>52374823
Your fucking words but he does have genius intellect. Stop being autistic.

>No, he can't. At best he can take a legendary action at the end of their turn to run away. A hasted paladin can start a fight from about 120ft away, run up and smack him a load, so he'd have to know the paladin is there or win initiative (Both of which is entirely possible) before he even gets close.
If Strahd isn't taking his lair actions, you got an easy fight and you're fighting a chump being played by a literal retard.
This is also the case if he hasn't surrounded himself with Strahd zombies or his beasts, polymorphed himself to look like someone else, or any number of options.
Yours however is predicated with everything falling smoothly in your favor. And sure, theorycraft all you want. Good luck.
>>
File: zoom.gif (998KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
zoom.gif
998KB, 500x281px
>>52374863
>>
>>52374858
>It has nothing to do with humanity/fey/celestial shit

No shit, never said otherwise.

>A normal person was "Clean", Paladins were "Pure" and evil PCs of any type were "Unclean".

Yes. Alignment checkers and that sort of thing were normal for the time, and singling humanoids out like that is pretty BS nowadays.
>>
>>52374753
Bard.
>>
>>52374823
>No, he can't. At best he can take a legendary action at the end of their turn to run away.
Why did you make up a point and then rebut your own point? It isn't useful if you're only counteracting yourself.
>>
>>52374879
>>52374858
And before someone says "ermagerd! hand holding babby shit!" in most campaigns PCs are much more likely to scan fucking everybody (esp via paladins) than vice versa, which they can now only do in very limited circumstances, so its valid and an entertaining subversion in AD&D for the vampire lord to scan for paladins. Nowadays that sort of thing is way more tightly constrained, humanoids can't be scanned in that fashion, even by PCs.
>>
>>52374753
Bladesinger?
>>
>>52374879
>Dark Powers that created a plane that literally corrupts people when they act naughty are total BS for being able to detect whether or not said people are naughty

I'm not sure I follow you.
>>
>>52374893
Except he actually has Scry and can just see the party feed a few orphans and give footrubs to the elderly to determine if he needs to zombie gangbang them or not. It's functionally alightment "scanning" with an extra step.
>>
>>52374864
Everything has been theorycrafted to work with a single paladin.

Which assumes you're in a 2-person-party. And you're saying that I'm somehow rigging it in favour of the players, despite there only being one or maybe two (Some wizard to buff the paladin for haste for example, or anything to reduce strahd's health enough that the paladin can just burst it down)

Guess what? You're not in a 1 person party.

So now I add in a load of extra characters such as players who could potentially easily work out who the real strahd is before the paladin walks up and smites his ass.

I can agree he'll play smart, but playing smart means you'll NEVER see him. If he's really so smart, he will run, and he will keep running and he will give up on everything aside from sending minions to fight you so you can get more experience before you inevitably track him down in a corner somewhere and mercy kill him.

>>52374886
Didn't you read?
>At the end of someone's turn
Does he survive until the end of that paladin's turn?
No. Not if everything goes well anyway.
And even then, if he does survive and does try to get away, someone in the party with a ranged attack could probably finish them off, I suppose.

Honestly though, there's a lot of luck riding on the paladin at level 7, so you kinda have to use a paladin of level 11 to mostly ensure he'll go down in one burst.

The biggest problem is stopping them from reviving from mist form, I'd say.
>>
>>52374901
>in AD&D, you can detect if someone is a paladin or evil high priest
>in 5e, you can't

Wow that's hard to fuckin understand.
>>
>>52374912
>Does he survive until the end of that paladin's turn?

Yes, he does. Because that paladin can't do 194 damage in one turn. You yourself stated that's not until level 11.
>>
>>52374926
>In any edition, you can just quickly glance at a Paladin and be 99% accurate that yes, the guy in full plate with a holy symbol and a big ass weapon is in fact a Paladin
>>
>>52374909
Its fine to require him to actually put forth some kind of fucking effort to detect if someone is a paladin, just that sort of radar that works on humanoids isn't appropriate in 5e (and even then, the sort of radar the PCs have won't pick up that, say, The Abbot is anything unusual for a celestial).
>>
>>52374939
Yes, and that's fine. Paladin automatically radiating Darklord GPS is not. Big difference.
>>
>>52374912
You fucking smug piece of shit, everyone knows how legendary actions work, no one was saying a creature with them gets to use it during a character's turn. You were making a fallacy and people were rightly calling you out on it.

If you think your supposed plan is iron tight, someone should run it and disabuse you of your stupid notion. Just don't cry though.

And you blatantly ignored the post when lair actions were brought up. Guess it didn't fit with your preconceived ideas.
>>
>>52374912
Do you believe nuclear druids can one-shot Tiamat?
>>
File: tom.gif (130KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
tom.gif
130KB, 125x125px
>the state of this thread
>>
>>52374928
If this is just strahd (It's not mentioned that you've been a part of the campaign for a long time) and thus he's not entirely sure what your party is capable of, he might fight until he's at burstabable damage (Which is almost all of his health, but without the 50 absorption), then you can kill him before he has a chance to realize 'oh shit' and run.

If it's a level 11 paladin (Which isn't the case, as said) the he doesn't get any chances.

If it's a level 7 paladin with a whole 4 player party's worth of buffs, he can do 194 damage in one turn.

Example buffs include's valor bard's inspiration, elemental weapon, haste, enlarge person or.. Some more things I'm forgetting.

So, his best bet is to not engage in combat in the first place unless he has the jump on the party, and even then he'd have to run away immediately after.

>>52374967
Lair actions are pretty much the same. They take place on initiative 20. Not whenever the heck he likes. If you just charge in with a shitload of buffs and kill him straight away, the only lair actions that will help him are ones that bring him back straight away or any such thing.

If there's something like 'summon clones' then I suppose he could use that before the paladin charges in there.

>>52374984
If tiamat is just out of the portal, yes. If tiamat has been around for a while, no, tiamat will run away like a pussy bitch and use other tactics to get rid of the druid.
>>
>>52374912
Your single paladin dies well before he even gets a glimpse of Strahd. GG. Well played. Better roll up your new character.
>>
>>52371219
notice how 90% of the people that say fighter isnt a bad class either talk about dipping two levels in it or that autoattacking every round in combat from level 1-20 is good design

the concept of even three attacks per round as a fighter is a myth
>>
>>52371344
They're manifesters, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

>>52371309
>Maresuelsondrishaullillerton
Used to work with a guy named this, only he spelled it "-shaulillerton"
>>
>>52374990
>thinks nuclear druids can one-shot Tiamat.
>thinking the UAs rules are fine as is and not in need of further playtesting.
Guys, you're wasting your time, he's a shitfisting autistic retard.
>>
>>52374991
Well, that's fine then. You're not even fighting strahd at that point, really.

The original post was about some players being chased by vampires due to stealing shit, and a comment that a player could just kill a vampire in one turn anyway.
Then it was said 'well, what if strahd came after you instead?'

And at some point this has become 'No, strahd doesn't attack you, but strahd sends people after you instead'.

And I mean, sure, but it's really just 'Okay, for stealing the treasure now you have a vampire's minions come after you because the vampires are too afraid to come after you'.

>>52375017
>implying
At what point did I say that it was fine to use nuclear druid?
You came up with the hypothetical stance that the nuclear druid was in the game, you're the shitfisting retard here.
>>
>>52374990
Why the fuck do you encounter just Strahd by himself? Again he's not a fucking retard, why are you assuming he is?
>>
>>52374990
>Just Strahd is wandering through town minding his own business when he's rushed down by a twink level 7 character that's build strictly for 1v1ing vampires with the rest of the party buffing him
>The paladin rolls perfectly as well and kills Strahd
>Strahd still turns into mist and goes back to his coffin, and now he's pissed
>???
>Good jorb
>>
>>52375033
Blowing your entire wad and party buffs to kill a single vampire is not "Now vampires are too afraid to come after you" but likely "now the other vampires that were there quickly gang up on the paladin"
>>
>>52375033
You were justifying the use of the nuclear druid from a hypothetical. You really are the shitfusting retard here.
You could've said anything else.
>>
>>52375038
>Rolls perfectly well
I don't think you need to roll very well if you have buffs.
If you don't have buffs, you need to roll perfectly well but it's possible.

It's implied somewhere several times that you have to stop the mist from going back, along the lines of somebody put a magic circle or something on the coffin, because otherwise you're just delaying the fucker.

>>52375043
Well, fair enough. The original post of 'a level 7 paladin could kill a vampire in one turn' didn't say 'a level 7 paladin could kill strahd and five vampires' in one turn or anything.
You just need more paladins.

Get an entire goddamn paladin order and smite all that is unholy.

>>52375034
Well, according to OP and the twist given, someone who's hunting you down for stealing from some bat cave. The setting was never even Barovia in the first place.

>>52375053
I could've said something useless like
>nuclear druid
Rather than saying something useful like
'If multiclassing UA brokenshit is allowed by your DM (I missed this clause, but it's implied) then you could one-shot Tiamat, and thus she'd just stay out of your way and find some other way to murder you, or (again, I didn't say this because it wasn't worth making a long post when you'd just say >lol shitposter) find a brooch of shielding'
>>
>>52375033
>well, what if strahd came after you instead?'
This wasn't the original question, the question was can you one-shot Strahd?
Why do you keep moving the goalposts, keep making fallacies and keep making assumptions about things to better twist things to your advantage? What the fuck?
>>
>>52375069
>I could've said something useless like
>nuclear druid
Rather than saying something useful like
'If multiclassing UA brokenshit is allowed by your DM (I missed this clause, but it's implied) then you could one-shot Tiamat, and thus she'd just stay out of your way and find some other way to murder you, or (again, I didn't say this because it wasn't worth making a long post when you'd just say >lol shitposter) find a brooch of shielding
That's because you said nothing of value in your post. Now we just know you as an abuser of rules and loose reader of rules.
>>
>>52375043
Vampires should work more like the undead mafia.
Horse heads on your bed, killing your friends and companions and sending them back piece by piece, pressuring your quest givers into sending you away...
Like an evil, ominous, suffucating presence.
But that's probably not what the adventure module goes for.
>>
>>52375069
See >>52375076
There you go making fallacies and twisting things again.
>>
>>52375076
Alright, let me show you.

It started with >>52374482
'They get killed by vengeful batgod vampires'
So then we get >>52374510 >>52374570
Which is making the assumption that the first post sends vampires after you, not vampire minions, or the vampires cursing you from continents away.

Then we get >>52374607
Which implies 'Okay, same case but it's Strahd instead now.'

So, yes, it became a question of one-shotting strahd. But it wasn't a question of one-shotting strahd in his campaign in his lair as you approach him rather than him approaching you.

>>52375104
>Implying you're saying anything of value
You're just laying out bait and then screaming 'OH LOOK THIS PERSON SEEMED TO SLIGHTLY IMPLY THAT A BROKEN UA BUILD IS OKAY!'
Good job.
>>
>>52375109
See >>52375115

If Strahd is just chilling in his lair and you never find out that he's the one sending whatever he sends after you after you, then it's not really sending Strahd after you as part of a vengeful bat god thing.

I'll admit there are several interpretations to the original posts, though.
>>
So i've been thinking about giving my half-orc valor bard player an item that let's him use strength instead of dex as a modifier to medium armor AC. it would require attunement and be a quest reward, any reason why i shouldn't?
>>
>>52375115
You're misreading the "twist", it is only about if you can one-shot Strahd. All your assumptions are baseless and unneeded.
>>
>>52375132
Because his full-orc dad is already wearing it and doesn't remember his rapebaby son.
>>
>>52375115
You were twisting the implication? How is that not surprising.

Also, calm your tits.
>>
>>52375139
joke's on you, he's playing a female half-orc
>>
>>52375135
Well, if you really want to find out for sure, you should ask the original original poster to say whether or not they intended for the players to hunt down the vampires or the vampires to hunt down the players.

If the vampires don't come to hunt down the players themselves, the players will just continue on their merry way with all the treasure.

If the vampires send minions, it'll likely be less effective than all the vampires coming along and ganging up at once, which is actually a valid point to make - it won't be one vampire at a time like the 'one paladin versus one vampire' case was.
But that's why it was one paladin in one turn - you could take on more than one vampire if you had more turns and players.
>>
>>52375132
If he has enough Str to make it worthwhile, he can probably grab some heavy armor instead.
He'll need a feat for that, or to retroactively multiclass his first level out to something like fighter.
There's no particular reason not to just make up your item, other than it being unnecessary, there are already other ways to reach a similar result.
>>
>>52375170
Because her full-orc dad is already wearing it and doesn't remember his rapebaby daughter, and tries to rape her.
>>
Strahd just called me guys. He told me he was once killed by a level 7 character in a single turn one day. With his words as proof, we thankfully don't need to argue about this anymore.
>>
>>52375172
That's a lot of assumptions you're making there, friend.
>>
>>52375191
I think it's a lot more assumptions to say that lair actions become involved and that strahd is now running away after a round of combat and all that.

Considering he's supposed to be the one hunting the players for stealing bat god treasure.
>>
>>52375172
Yeah, I was only wondering how feasible it would be to oneshot the big S, which kinda implies Barovia. Didn't mean for both sides to autismal-rage this hard though.
>>
>>52375201 see >>52375212
There's your answer, you sperged out and made wild and baseless assumptions.
>>
>>52375212
Oh, well, the clarifcation is nice.

If that's the case, I would admit it's harder since the vampire is the one on the defence side now.

If it were just a clearly defined plain 1v1 in open ground without all of the complications, it'd be a lot less of an argument.
>>
>>52375175
well his Str is as high as it can be with point buy, thing is he's not really a player who's read the entire PHB, more like a friend who plays along and has a really good time. i don't want to make things overly complicated for him by multiclassing and i feel like having him use an ASi for a feat to get an AC he would have had had he gone dex is kind of counter to him making a fun and sort of interesting warrior bard.
>>
>>52375224
>Wild and baseless assumptions
>When the original post that talked about strahd was literally just "What about Strahd?"
>>
>>52375231
>If it were just a clearly defined plain 1v1 in open ground without all of the complications, it'd be a lot less of an argument.
Why would this be the case though? What point does it prove? It's useless because a real game won't include anything like that.
>>
>>52375240
Strahd has 18 Dex and is going to win the initiative usually.

Can Strahd one-shot a level 7 Paladin? Yes.
>>
File: 1402619321294.png (342KB, 600x517px) Image search: [Google]
1402619321294.png
342KB, 600x517px
I want to make a Crusader as a Zealot Barbarian but need to think of an appropriate god for them.

Pelor comes to mind, but I can't really see him condoning a murder machine in his name.
Zaurus might b cool, but I don't want to have to murderhobo non-humans (I'd like to be reasonable about it to them... but it's not named Zealot for nothing.)
>>
>>52375240
When read in the context it was given in, it made sense, it got muddled because you kept sperging out and insisting on things that just weren't relevant.

New thread when?
>>
>>52375271
Helm. destroy those whom threaten those you're swore to protect
>>
>>52375258
Because it's more likely to happen than an exact specified situation is going to happen otherwise.

You remove as many of the variables as possible to come up with a definite answer, and then you can apply the variables afterwards.

This shouldn't have become an argument of what the conditions and the variables were, but it became 'No, actually you can't kill him because he's now in a lair' instead of 'Yes, in those conditions you would kill him, but what about if he was in a lair?'

>>52375269
Since initiative is essentially a contest, he has barely any much more chance of winning initiative.

A paladin with 14 dexterity against strahd has a 38.25% chance of winning on initiative under the conditions that if their initiatives match that he still goes first. .. I think. Something like that is what my table is tellin gme.
But, yes, he's more likely to go first and more likely to fuck the guy up, but at least if the paladin has teammates behind him he can ask for someone to bring him up again.

I wouldn't say a level 7 paladin would win a 1v1 fight in an open field with strahd.
A level 11 paladin has a more decent chance, though the odds are still against him.
>>
>>52375319
>but at least if the paladin has teammates behind him he can ask for someone to bring him up again.
nah we should be looking at this math strictly one on one. otherwise we can just go
>Strahd
>not surrounded by 50 werewolves
>>
>>52375306
Looking at him now, the opening paragraph seems to suggest a decent fit.
>>
>>52375271
Options :

- Helm
- Kord
- Hextor (no fucks given)
- Bane
- Tempus
- Torm
- Tyr
- Erythnul (RIP AND TEAR)
- Heironeous (BOLT AND TEAR)
- Trithereon (Don't tread on me)
- Sargonnas (Moo)
- Dol Dorn
>>
>>52375319
But the open field is completely useless when applied back to a real world game, unless of course you want to bias a side against the other.
What the heck is Strahd doing out in the open in an open field?
>>
>>52375379
>>52375319
>>52375231
Oh gee look, Strahd dies automatically because it's an open field and the sun is high in the sky and he's a vampire. Who could have foreseen that?
>>
>>52375283
It's much more reasonable to assume that it's a plain 1v1 open field type battle, considering a single level 7 paladin is going to fucking die if they have to fight through a castle and minions and all that. Why even bother adding all the complications when you know those complications would obviously result in their death?

This could have all been resolved with a simple 'Okay, but if you try to fight strahd as per strahd's campaign with only one player at that level, you're fucked'

>>52375343
Well, I've already said that one on one I seriously doubt the paladin's gonna win unless he's at level 11, and even then it's pushing it.
All I'm really saying is that in a party vs strahd case where strahd hasn't got back-up, you've probably won (Though not definitely). Which honestly isn't surprising except to people who don't understand 5e.

As for whether a party vs strahd fight works in normal vs strahd circumstances? Well, I do believe CoS is intended to not be impossible.

>>52375425
That's making the assumption it's daytime.

It's better to make neutral assumptions such as 'it's dusk' or whatever that affect the playing field to a minimum.

>>52375379
Well, you can't do calculations when applied to an actual game unless somebody gives you strict definitions. The OPs are really just 'vampires attack you' and 'how about strahd?' so, yeah.
It's hard to apply it to a real game, but it's the most useful information you'll get.
>>
>>52375425
Two things.

No one said what time of day it was. Fields don't imply mid day.

Two, he doesn't instantly die when exposed to sunlight. It would take him a few rounds.
>>
>>52375345
Thinking on it a bit more Pelor actually might fit just so they have a bit more of an interesting personality than "RIP AND TEAR", could make a nice and friendly guy who does a 180 in combat to murderman (Though that is a bit of an overdone trope).

Would also fit that they're not a Cleric or Paladin, because Pelor doesn't really approve of their methods but they get results.
>>
>Your napkin math didn't include every possible scenario that I can think of, so it's wrong!

Do these fuckers even know how to do modular napkin math these days? If you don't start with a simple base in a vacuum then every time you attempt to consider different scenarios you have to subtract all the nuances from the current scenario before you can add all the nuances from the next scenario.
>>
>>52375484
Tempus is also a solid choice because Barbarians already worshipped him but they claim his name is Tempos and not Tempus. Odd that Barbarians would get snitty over one letter but yeah.
>>
File: Madsun.png (18KB, 116x116px) Image search: [Google]
Madsun.png
18KB, 116x116px
>>52375484
>implying Pelor doesn't hate everything
>>
>>52375558
He already said he didn't wanna worship Zarus, which is just Pelor the Burning Hate.
>>
>>52375575
New thread.
>>
>>52375238
A level in fighter would make him more warrior (and slightly less bard) with a fighting style (possibly defense, if he needs more ac?) and heavy armor, 2 levels would give him action surge, 3 levels some superiority dice to play with... it's a good multiclass, if that's what he's going for.
If he just wants to stay bard, yeah, just let him use Str instead, it's a weak stat anyway - unless he's taking PAM and/or GWM, there's nothing fishy going on.
>>
>>52370513
>hamon monk
Sun monks =/= hamon
hamon does not hadouken shit.
>>
>>52370426
What subraces are missing?
I remember elfs having a shitload of variants back on 3.5, like snowelfs and shit.
How many missing subraces and mainstream settings races can you name?
>>
File: 1490398591032.png (764KB, 1031x413px) Image search: [Google]
1490398591032.png
764KB, 1031x413px
>>52376452
Elfs
>aquatic elfs
>sky elfs
>snow elfs
>gray elfs
>sun elfs
>moon elfs
>Eladari
>>
>>52376527
>faggots
Thread posts: 442
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.