[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Best adventure edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 33

File: Ezmerelda.jpg (855KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ezmerelda.jpg
855KB, 1920x1080px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52370426

How do we improve Curse of Strahd even further? What's your advice to DMs running Curse of Strahd?
>>
File: fuckdis.gif (358KB, 210x131px) Image search: [Google]
fuckdis.gif
358KB, 210x131px
Make Strahd gay.
>>
>>52375586
He's already a vampire you donut.
>>
File: Dr_Frank-N-Furter.jpg (19KB, 328x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dr_Frank-N-Furter.jpg
19KB, 328x400px
>>52375586
Make Strahd Frank N Furter.
>>
Curse of Strahd is just Dracula + Dark Shadows x D&D. I needed to make it spicier, so I add Castlevania into the mix.

Strahd's castle is FULL of dank horror tropes when I run it. Wolfmen, gillmen, Frankenstein's creature(s), mummies, invisible men, fucking Death, etc. I also make Strahd say hammy Dracula shit like "I AM BELOVED BY THE NIGHT".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUUjUJ4wHg

This should pretty much be mandatory music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2EOLyn6-4 is also acceptable if your players don't mind a little bit of the untz untz when fighting Strahd.

Also, I usually will have one of the players contract vampirism/lycanthropy if they seem like they're min/maxed as fuck for Paladin-one-shotting-Strahd-memes.
>>
How does everyone liek the new tomb of horrors?

I'm not sure if the traps are dangerous enough, but they might be ramping up the difficulty as the players progress further. I never played the original though.
>>
Drow (or anyone with a plentiful supply) using coins made of admantium - Is this a stupid idea?
>>
>>52375646
https://youtu.be/dxXwmvS3DLI
Check this out, too

Also, ripped straight from Aria of Sorrow- a post-game adventure to destroy the heart of chaos in a hidden dimension to stop Strahd from ever being reborn. All the vestiges from the temple get released and need to be destroyed in this dimension.
>>
>>52375674
Nah, I like the idea of mithril and adamantine being used for coinage above platinum
>>
So am I right in thinking that a wizard 14 (or whatever)/lore bard 6 could only learn magical secrets of up to 3rd level?
>>
Guys, how's this build?

>Level 3
>Variant Human
>Crossbow Mastery
>Rogue-Scout
>heavy crossbow

I know that apparently Arcane Trickster is the way to go, but I don't want it to be a spellcaster.

Is the rogue scout good? From the looks of it, all that mobility sounds pretty sweet.
>>
>>52375646
Yeah, I was just thinking of adapting it to higher levels.
>>
>>52375768
It's shit. You're supposed to be using hand crossbow.
>>
>>52375761
yes you are correct because magical secrets specify "as shown on the bard table" so its your bard levels
>>
>>52375768
>how's this build?
Ok, not too shabby

Remember to abuse cunning action and be operator as fuck

Also
>Shield in the pic
You might want to look for another pic for your char
>>
>>52375768
Rogue doesn't get Heavy Crossbow expertise.
>>
>>52375786
>Heavy Crossbow expertise.
Proficiency.
I am tired.
>>
>>52375805
>>52375786

>Heavy Crossbow expertise

guise he just figured out how to fix martials
>>
>>52375817
>+11 to hit at level 5
jesus christ how horrifying
>>
File: np32_10.jpg (3MB, 3369x1614px) Image search: [Google]
np32_10.jpg
3MB, 3369x1614px
>>52375646
If you're going for a full Castlevania feel, there's some fun you can go with.

Make the Fishmen/Gill Men into Kuo Toa, bring in the Sunken Temple of Sarnath as a location from Castlevania III. Make it also the lair of the Bone Dragon King, an undead dragon.
>>
Alright, because people keep fucking this up, and no one ever corrects them:

If you're making an unarmed fighting style, totem, or whatever and the class doesn't get magical attacks already, they don't get magical unarmed strikes as a class feature. If they don't scale up their weapon damage as they level normally, they don't get scaling unarmed strike damage either.
>>
>>52375978
Wait, people think that's how it works for non-monks?
>>
>>52375646
Having a min-maxer contract 'you're more powerful but with problems' disease is pretty good

'You're even MORE min-maxed. But you suffer out of combat problems. Serious ones. But you don't care, you're a min-maxer.'
>>
>>52375978
Why?
>>
>>52375768
>Crossbow mastery
>Using a crossbow you're not proficient in over the hand crossbow which is clearly much, much better

>Sure am glad I'm making attacks for 1d10+DEX when I could be making two attacks for 2d6+2DEX with an extra chance of getting a sneak attack if you failed the first time
>>
>>52375646
>untz untz vampire music
>not from Skull and Shark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEkUH2kYfOI
>>
>>52375978
I agree with the unarmed strike scaling, but as for the magical unarmed attacks...
As long as there's a good reason they should have it, they should probably get it. Magical weapons are some sort of gateway required feature for all martials, and non-magical weapon resistance only really serves to bully low level characters and prevent hirelings + skeleton armies + peasant armies from hurting certain creatures and making the players feel more heroic.
You can easily remove non-magical-weapon resistance if you want.
>>
Does anyone else feel like the 7 adventures selected were kind of weak sauce?

Sunless Citadel and Forge are only memorable if you started as a 3eaboo.

Against the Giants is kind of pointless when they've already adapted it via SKT.

Hidden Shrine is fun but it can be hard to shoe horn into a Sword Coast setting.

White plume mountain is okay but honestly it and tomb of horrors are better as one shots.

I can't evem seem to care about the thay adventure either way.

Seems like keep on the borderlands and bone hill and against the reptile cult would've been better picks than some of the ones selected.
>>
>>52375784
Only crossbowman pic I had on hand.

>>52376048
>>52375786
FUCK! I forgot about the proficiency,

Well, I gotta re-think the concept.

I want a dude with heavy crossbows.
Is there a viable build for that?
>>
>>52376233
You can always multiclass 1 level into fighter, that'll give you proficiencies and archery style
>>
>>52376018
Not in Ravenloft it isn't.

>You're now subject to the Dark Powers.
>You have a 25% chance of falling to their whim and becoming an NPC
>Did you do bad stuff? Now you have a 50% chance.
>More bad stuff? 75% chance.

The ultimate cockblock.
>>
>>52376233
The only way heavy crossbows are ever viable are with builds that attack a fuck load of times and/or use bonus actions on other things already. Otherwise, hand crossbow will always be much, much better.

As such, a hunter ranger with horde breaker and volley is probably a good choice. Or a level 20 fighter.

But on a hunter ranger you can probably use a heavy crossbow instead of a handcrossbow at level 5+ and it'll be not much worse than using a hand crossbow (You don't really have to be 100% optimal, after all). Eventually it becomes better when you get stuff to do with your bonus action other than hunter's mark and when you get volley for lots of attacks.
>>
>>52376259
Well the DM giving someone surprise vampirism in AD&D Ravenloft is extreme dickery, since they become an NPC.
>>
>>52376272
who cares about "muh better". He wants to use a fucking heavy crossbow.
>>
>>52376291
He asked "how about this build?" though
>>
>>52376237
Not a bad option, although that would mean I would have to wait one level to get my rogue mobility shenanigans.

>>52376272
Remind me again why hand crossbows are so good? They're just a crossbow with less damage, no? The only feature is that you can fire (sorry, the correct term is I think "loosen"?) two of them (although you can't reload them), and that they look rather silly compared to a badass arbalest.
>>
>>52376233
Normal fighters are good, hunter-rangers are decent (mixing in aoe & anticaster stuff), UA sharpshooter is vomit inducingly OP.
>>
>>52376306
The advantage of a hand crossbow is you can shoot an extra shot with crossbow mastery via bonus actions.
>>
>>52376277
Not immediately, iirc. I think they can kill themselves and be resurrected as a mortal in the first day and it's cool. Expensive, but cool.
>>
>>52376306
Always-available bonus action attack through Crossbow Expert. That's all there is to it, but it's a solid advantage.

The smaller hit die and range don't matter because you'll also be picking Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52376066
Barbarians don't get free counts-as-magic weapons, why should they get free counts-as-magic unarmed strikes? They shouldn't.
>>
>>52376233
>Is there a viable build for that?
Fighter? Yes. Ranger? Yes. Rogue? No.
>>
didn't 5eg used to have a mega for DM's Guild content? Is that still a thing?
>>
>>52376328
>>52376325

>Crossbow Expert
>Thanks to extensive practice with the crossbow, you gain the following benefits:

>• You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with which you are proficient.

>• Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.

>• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.

Sounds like to me that if you have a sword in one hand and a hand crossbow in the other, you get an extra attack with the latter.

But the hand crossbow also needs two hands to be reloaded, so how is this supposed to work? You sheathe or put down your sword in each turn to reload, or you just get one extra hand crossbow attack in the first round and that's it?
>>
>>52376080
Sunless Citadel is rated very highly though.
Also the book doesn't seem that focused on running them as one whole campaign.
>>
>>52376306
If you're getting crossbow mastery, hand crossbow gives you an extra attack for 1d6+DEX+Bonuses
Bonuses can include sharpshooter's +10 or any on-hit +damage effect, really. Also interrupting spells easier and all that. And splitting attacks between opponents, and extra chances of sneak attack.
1d10->1d6 is only about -2.1 damage per attack.

Even a level 11 fighter should be using hand crossbows, especially with sharpshooter (sharpshooter's ability makes the -2.1 damage even less significant considering it lowers your hit chance in the first place)

But, yes, they're completely possibly usable if you've got a spare feat to get the +1.05 damage over using a longbow. And, honestly, taking a heavy crossbow over a longbow is more worth it for flavour when it's suboptimal than taking a heavy crossbow over a hand crossbow when it's suboptimal.

>>52376291
Yes, and that's fine, but if it's a difference between DOUBLE DAMAGE and normal damage, you're kind of an idiot to take the normal damage.
>>
>>52376376
A hand crossbow IS a one-handed weapon, anon. Most people just dual wield hand crossbows and have more strapped to their body like ye olde pirates of lore for New York style reloads.
>>
>>52376332
Magic weapons are far more common than items that give you magic unarmed strikes
>>
>>52376332
Martials essentially do. They're expected to get magical weapons sooner or later. It's not free.

One of the disadvantages of unarmed combat is you don't get magical weapons, so ignoring resistance offsets that downside (even though it's still a big downside after the offset)
>>
>>52376376
Hand Crossbows are a one-handed weapon. If you attack with it, you qualify to get a bonus attack with the same. Reloading is part of the action, so (as per both sage advise and the errata) all you need is a hand free.
>>
What should a Binder be able to do?
Would it be Warlock, or be something new?
How many vestiges should it accrue?
And what kind of powers should they give to you?
>>
>>52376427
Store my collection of baseball cards.
Something new.
An official binder from Topps holds 700 cards.
Batting average (min. 300 at-bats), Hits, Home Runs, Runs Batted In
>>
>>52376427
I'd say a Binder would be a warlock Pact. Pact of the Vestige.

More vestiges would be Eldritch Invocations.
>>
>>52376397
Oh yeah, and how does that work? Do the bolts just magically don't fall off of them?

They're not pistols, this seems to me a little bit of abusing the rules.

>>52376412
So what you mean is that you have one hand crossbow in hand, and you can fire it twice because the rules say:

>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding

Because I don't think it works that way. What the rule refers to is that you have a melee weapon in one hand, and a hand crossbow in the other. Maybe two hand crossbows. But in either of these cases, you don't have a free hand to reload them. I don't think the one handed weapon in the rule can be applied to one hand crossbow. Come on now, that's dumb.
>>
>>52376427
The Mystic is essentially a Binder with psychic fluff.

CoS suggests the 5e devteam IS thinking about Binders in some faculty, as tied in with Ravenloft, probably.
>>
>>52376459
The bolts are slotted into highly sexual grooves intended for their holding.

Also, the funny thing is that the official D&D rules are as >>52376412 said. I don't care if you don't think it works that way, the fucking creators of the game already clarified it because thousands of people asked the same question you have.

I think mine is funnier, but yeah.
>>
>>52376476
I definitely wouldn't allow it as a DM, but if yours does and everyone's having fun, who cares?

Still, heavy crossbows are cool, so I want to go with them.
>>
File: hand crossbow attempt 1.png (237KB, 1101x641px) Image search: [Google]
hand crossbow attempt 1.png
237KB, 1101x641px
>>52376459
>Do the bolts just magically don't fall off of them?

Do you have any idea how crossbows work?

In any case I actually designed a pair of one-handed magazine fed crossbows explicitly for these arguments.
>>
>>52376459
Take it up with Crawford, faggot.
>>
Friend is asking me if he can Heat Metal an arrowhead and use it on the enemy.

How would you adjudicate it? Would you allow it?
>>
>>52376390
Actually, to respond to my own post,

the longbow - heavy crossbow thing is actually ... The heavy crossbow is often worth getting the feat for over the longbow.

No disadvantage on attacks within 5ft or +1 to hit (if you took the no disadvantage within 5ft but +1 to hit instead of +2 to hit fighting style) is worth taking a feat for.

Because if an enemy is prone or paralyzed or such, you can gain the benefits and advantage by moving within 5ft of them and then firing.
Otherwise, yes, you can normally get out of having to fire within 5ft, but there are times it's nice.

If you would otherwise take the +1 to hit no disadvantage fighting style, getting crossbow mastery solely for using heavy crossbow instead of longbow is basically +1 to hit +1 to damage.
>>
>>52376501
Actually that's the original version, the fixed one simply makes the bit that's broken curved so it avoids your hands.
>>
>>52376508
>Casting Time 1 action

No?

Unless he wants to waste extra actions with Action Surge or some shit to do 2d8 damage.
>>
>>52376506
>>52376501
You guys really went to great lengths to play the demon hunter from Diablo 3, didn't you?

But like I said, as long as everyone's having fun, who cares.

I once played a not-French mage in 7th Sea, who just kept pulling pistols out from extradimensional pockets. All good fun.

Anyway, so apparently I should go for Sharpshooter. Alright.
>>
>>52376535

I mean he's thinking of doing it for an ally's arrows. Sorry forgot to mention.
>>
>>52376508
I'd allow it, but it wouldn't do immediate extra damage (it deals damage on the creature's turn), and the enemy could pull the arrow out of themself as a bonus action (though there may be a chance it stays in as the arrow breaks from their rough handling). And, of course, the arrow could miss.

I'd probably say that after a number of rounds it does a bit less damage because it's just burning the same spot instead of all over their body.
>>
>>52376543
Well RAW and RAI you only need one hand crossbow for it to work.

I just thought making a one-handed mag fed crossbow would be a fun challenge last time I saw this "discussion".
>>
>>52376549
>>52376508
Actually, responding to my own post to correct it, I'd probably say the creature can take an action to pull it out carefully or a bonus action to pull it out and presumably they could use an arrow that's designed to break off inside, thus meaning if they try to do it as a bonus action there's a DC 15 sleight of hand check to not break it as they pull it out.
>>
>>52376546
I'd allow it. A level 2 spell slot for garbage damage is definitely a terrible PC idea. He ain't breaking anything aside from his own usefulness.
>>
>>52375586
He's a vampire. Regardless of his original orientation (which probably included boobs unless he was REALLY into that political power marriage that started this whole shitfest) he's been around too long not to get bored enough to fuck anything with a pulse- actually, that's inaccurate. Anything with 12 charisma.
>>
>>52376459
Initially it was probably as you say, a saber and pistol pirate style. That's the image you get reading the feat, anyway, it's obvious.
The Sage erratas went the other way completely, you need a free hand to reload unless the xbow is magic and semi-automatic (or you load it one handed, shotgun style - needs DM fiat anyway), so you can't go saber-and-pistol (or you can, but only once, can't do it round after round), but if you shoot the xbow it's ok, then you have a free hand to reload it and shoot again.
Fucking bullshit, all to make sure people can't go xbow and shield? but xbow and shield works too, if you have a self-loading xbow... it's a fucking mess of a ruling.
>>
>>52376571
No way. He's specifically got a misery boner for Tatyana and is cursed to repeat his attempts at marrying her reincarnation over and over again by the dark powers. He's cursed to be hetero, forever.
>>
File: 0Bv5vM5[1].jpg (738KB, 1490x926px) Image search: [Google]
0Bv5vM5[1].jpg
738KB, 1490x926px
>playing Curse of Strahd
>go to the Amber Temple because we trail Izek there
>eventually we find him charmed immobile by a statue
>we capture him, tie him up and cut off his metal arm so he's weak but we don't kill him
>When he comes to he's bleeding out because of his lost arm
>my druid digs in his knapsack for something to stop the bleeding and finds Ginko Brush, an herb for restoring a lost limb, from random herb gathering from the beginning of the campaign, and feed it to him
>30% chance of success, it works
>befriend Izek
>later on, our rogue rolls a 20 on persuasion to convince Izek to not make a deal with an old god to bring back the dead Burgomaster

That was pretty insane. Has anyone else managed to get him in their party before?
>>
>>52376543
Different guy, but I always thought crossbow expert was for when you had sword and handcrossbow pirate style, turns out the devs laughed at me and told me it was for either double handcrossbow (if you had a way to reload them like for example derro handcrossbows or magic handcrossbows) of for when you had a free hand and a handcrossbow.

Not only RAW but also RAI is how that works, so if you have a problem with "diablo 3", ask the devs who were the ones who created this.
>>
>>52376501
>swing powered crossbows
top meme
>>
File: tactical mouth reload.jpg (29KB, 240x284px) Image search: [Google]
tactical mouth reload.jpg
29KB, 240x284px
>>52376556
>>52376582
>not reloading with your mouth

Peasants.
>>
>>52376594
I don't care about any of that crap.

What'd you do with the arm??
>>
>>52376588
He could have romantic intentions for Tatyana while having a more indiscriminate libido.
>>
>>52376588
She may be his true love, but he's the king, baby. He'll fuck what he wants, when he wants.
Charmed/seduced PCs? Fair game.
Enthralled minions and spawn? Sometimes you gotta carefully save the good ones instead of setting wolves on em, you know.
His own animated armor? It's reliable.
Piddlewick? Once, on a VERY lonely Tuesday.
>>
>>52376582
>>52376476
>>52376501
Can arcane trickster's magical hand load crossbow as bonus action ?
>>
>>52376614
I like designing needlessly complicated weapons.

This one would work entirely mechanically with the crank kept in the pouch on the bottom, the only "magic" part is an automatic crank. In theory it'd function in reality fine, though I don't think it'd have very good velocity.
>>
>>52376582
Speaking of shields. Are tower shields still a thing, as in you can just put them on the ground and use them as cover?
>>
File: Polish Claire Redfield.jpg (222KB, 1419x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Polish Claire Redfield.jpg
222KB, 1419x2048px
>>52376588
>He's cursed to be hetero, forever.

I know that curse all too well
>>
>>52376459
>Do the bolts just magically don't fall off of them?
There're irl crossbows that keep the bolt braced and no they don't fall.
>>
>>52376594
>bring back the dead Burgomaster
Why would you do that?
>>
>>52376588
It's simple. If you want a gay Strahd, just have Tatyana be reborn as a guy.

Of course, in his quest to marry him, a Baelnorn will use the distraction to take over Ravenloft.
>>
>>52376650
Probably, but then you aren't attacking as a bonus action, there's no gain.
>>52376656
AFAIK there are no Pavises. Maybe the Arcane Archer could use a portable slab of metal, to hide behind and shoot without line of sight, but IIRC he has limited uses of that.
>>
I'm emergency DMing a game with a new player joining in. I have trouble explaining how dual wielding works when combined with extra attacks in 5th. Can anyone do a quick rundown?
>>
>>52376508
...huh, that's actually really clever.
>>
Anyone have any good one-offs with plenty of role-playing opportunities?
>>
>>52376704
It works just like regular extra attack, but you can spend bonus action to attack with your off hand.
>>
Could Mage Hand or Unseen Servant perform a heart massage?
>>
>>52376693
>AFAIK there are no Pavises.
I'm not familiar with the 5e concealment rules, but I guess it should be easy to homebrew them, right?

Basically the same as in 3.5. You need an action to set it on the ground, and there you go, partial cover.
>>
>>52376704
A Bonus Action Attack is not the same thing as the Attack Action.
Extra Attacks work with the Attack Action, but you'll always get only 1 Bonus Action Attack (exceptions: a Monk's Flurry of Blow and the Ranger's Swift Quiver spell let you make 2 Attacks as a single Bonus Action)
>>
>>52376704
Anyone can dual wield. However, your second weapon must be Light, you can only make the "second" attack with your Bonus action, and you do not get to apply any Str bonus to it.

If you are a class that has the Dual Wielding style, you DO get to add your Str bonus to the second attack.

If you have the Dual Wielding feat, the weapon does not have to be Light.

The "Attack" action allows you to make as many normal attacks as per your level permits, but your offhand "dual wielding" attack always uses your bonus action.

Example. You are a level 5 fighter and now you get to make two attacks. You're dual wielding; a long sword and a dagger.

This means now you get :

- Attack once, long sword
- Attack again, long sword
- Bonus action TWF attack; dagger
>>
File: 1461779942603.png (142KB, 1332x888px) Image search: [Google]
1461779942603.png
142KB, 1332x888px
>>52375575 >>52375586
No, make Strahd a woman.
>>
>>52376571
>>52376588

While I find the idea that you can become bored into faggotry stupid, Strahd is very clearly bisexual and has at least one male consort.
>>
>>52376794
> It's "another dumb motherfucker doesn't know how to crop" episode
>>
>>52376794
But that's forbidden love!
>and that's why the Mists closed on Anastrahdia
>>
>>52376797
I've DMed CoS twice, and I never got the "Strahd is bisexual" meme. Where is it implied? If it's that vampire spawn of his, you don't have to have a sexual relationship with your vampire spawn.
>>
>>52376707

>clever

Yeah, Mr. Bard, thanks for being useful wasting a Level 2 slot for 2d8 damage, your action and concentration when you can use that shit on something like Lesser Restoration, Blindness/Deafness, Invisibility, Suggestion or Calm Emotions or some shit but hey, feel free to be useless if that's your prerogative. It's your character, after all.
>>
>>52376797
Turns out Van Richten is actually just a crazy ex-boyfriend of Strahd.

All the vampire hunting guide is just an excuse to air Strahd's secrets.
>>
>>52376797
http://www.vipfaq.com/Strahd%20von%20Zarovich.html
>>
>>52376656
No.

Personally I've had the following bumping around in my head, probably still unbalanced as fuck.

>Buckler- Adds DEXMOD to AC (Max of +3 AC), does not protect against ranged attacks
>Light Shield- +2 AC, does not protect from ranged attacks, your hand is still considered empty
>Medium Shield- Normal shield. +2 AC.
>Heavy Shield- +2 AC, gives the Shield Master pseudo-evasion, has the Heavy property and requires 15 STR
>Pavise- Must be deployed to use, as a bonus action you place this large shield on the ground, giving you partial cover or 3/4ths cover if you go prone, does not protect against melee attacks. Requires a bonus action to pick up to move it.
>>
File: 1456234350538.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456234350538.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>52376846
Please go back to DMing 3.PF
>>
>>52376853
Believe it or not I've never actually played 3.5.

I just think it's a bit silly that THUNDRAG MEGAFUCK THE GOLIATH CLERIC OF MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE's massive 6 foot tall solid cast iron shield they use as a wall provides as much protection as Butterfuck Goldberg the Gnome's foot tall wooden shield they use dexterously.
>>
>>52376824
Its not a meme. Ctrl+F "consort." It uses gender neutral terminology when referring to who he selects for his consorts. Which, of course, proves nothing in and of itself...

...except that Escher is specifically mentioned to be a consort, feeling "neglected" by Strahd, etc.

>a husband or wife; spouse, especially of a reigning monarch.
Compare prince consort, queen consort.
>>
>>52376846
Unneeded.
What's the point with the Heavy Shield being Heavy, anyway?
And with the Light Shield (and Buckler too?) not taking up your hand, why should anybody NOT use one or the other, depending on dex?
>>
>>52376794
Holy shit you took a screenshot of my post
This is the first time this has ever happened to me
I... I feel honored
>>
>>52376891
Buckler does use your hand, but potentially gives more melee AC.

In the end it simply makes things needlessly complicated, I can only assume it's deliberate that characters don't have separate ranged and melee AC.
>>
>>52376831
Heat Metal does a lot more than 2d8 damage, my friend. Whether its balanced or not is up for debate (though 2 actions to do 20d8 with a miss chance, vs 1 action to do 22d8 with no save or chance of failure is a big difference), but if it is ruled to work, it will fucking murder people.
>>
>>52376891
Would make it too heavy for halflings and gnomes I guess.
Which would mean they could use the Pavise, but not the heavy shield.
>>
>>52376888
>In my last post, I took a look at the troublingly racist depictions of the Vistani (who are crypto-Romani) and “mongrelfolk” in the iconic Ravenloft D&D adventure Curse of Strahd that was republished for D&D 5th Edition. Today, I’ll be looking at the other half of my analysis – which focuses on troubling things around gender, “edginess”, and depictions of mental illness.

Please stop drinking the lib koolaid about gay Strahds and gender neutral memes.
>>
Should I duel wield with a swashbuckler?

Should I duel wield with any class at all?
>>
>>52376891
Also this

• If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.

• If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect.

is on Heavy Shield.

I suppose you could add the bonus shoves too and make it so Heavy Shield gets Shield Master for free, but that makes it (even more) objectively better than a normal shield.
>>
>>52376887
Well, those houserules are cancer. They're like "Dude, how can we make Pathfinder combat more realistic?" threads that we've had on /tg/ back in the day, and they're against the design philosophy of 5e.
>>
>>52376935
Mind you these aren't rules I'd probably ever use, just something I had pop in my mind when I was standing around bored at work.
>>
>>52376733
Not effectively. Mage Hand can only apply 10 lbs of pressure and Unseen Servants have a strength value of 2.
Though since it'd be a Wisdom (Medicine) check anyway, that might not matter?
>>
>>52376925
>memes

Its the fucking book, dude. Not a meme.

In perhaps the most politically incorrect storyline in all 2e, Van Richten's son was also kidnapped by a dirty gypsy and brought to a gay vampire, was turned, and begged Van Richten to kill him, so gay vampires are not new, but Strahd being bi may or may not be (never read the novels, etc).
>>
>>52376955
But the Mage Hand is spectral, it can manipulate the heart directly.
>>
>>52376994
The mage hand cannot phase through matter you double nigger
>>
>>52376994
That's not exactly clear.

>create water in their lungs
>>
isn't dual wielding horribly underpowered?
>>
>>52377005
>can it pass through their bloodstream and apply pressure from inside?
>>
>>52377023
When you compare it to GWM+PAM, sure.
>>
>>52376994
"Spectral" is literally a visual adjective, it has no mechanical meaning. It's not Ethereal (existing partially on the ethereal plane) or Astral (moving through the astral plane) or Incorporeal (without physical form, like a ghost).
>>
>>52376994
Simply command the mage hand to grab the BBEG's brain from the inside and pull it out his nose.
>>
>>52376401
Any character expect to use unarmed strikes as a primary attack mode needs to have the ability to bypass magic type damage reduction, and the DM needs to bend over backwards to do that via magical items. Adding it as a class feature makes far more sense.
>>
I know this is a weird proposition, but where could i find something like Meganon but for 4e? I wanted to look for some things I could resurrect into my 5e game.
>>
>>52377088
Nah. If you use any remotely weird weapon, you are in the same boat. No fucking free lunch for pugilists.
>>
>Mold Earth
>Incredibly useful unless your DM has extremely strict ideas of what "loose earth" is

>Shape Water
>Ranging from "pretty good" to "REALLY GOOD" depending on DM

>Control Flames
>Niche uses at best

>Gust
>Utterly pointless

Should I buff Control Flames and Gust?
For Control Flames I'd probably just add Create Bonfire to it and roll both into one, not like anyone uses Create Bonfire anyways.

Can't really think of a balanced thing to give Gust though, and I don't want it to be something that deals damage. Maybe some kind of weaker Fog Cloud obscuring effect?
>>
>>52377104
Every single weapon in the game can be +1~3 by rules alone, and there's the magic weapon spell as well, there's no unarmed strike +1 and they get no other way to hit non magical resist.
>>
>>52377100
http://pastebin.com/85Hm56k5
>>
>>52377088
Mystics can cast fist.
>>
>>52377193
Thanks hombre, any advice for using some monster powers and stuff from 4e in 5e?
>>
>>52375668
The problem with tomb of horrors was that its danger was based in meta knowledge and subverting player expectations, which in d&d basically boils down to "fuck you for behaving as if there were a consistent logic to the world."

Best thing about 5e: yugoloths are back
>>
>>52377180
There are definitely more +1 unarmed thingys in printed modules than all the +1 glaives, +1 halberds, and +1 rapiers combined, dude.
>>
>>52377180
Make bandages +1.
They wrap around your fists, count as unarmed and grant that +1 to unarmed strikes.
>>
Monks get ki-empowered strikes and scaling martial arts damage because they're monks. Scaling martial arts damage is their version of increased rage bonus damage. Neither feature replaces being rewarded magic weapons, or an equivalent like the insignia of claws.

>>52376400
They are each exactly as common as the DM wishes them to be, essentially.

>>52376401
>>52377088
You can get rewards of magic enhancements to unarmed strikes, same as any weapon. What you can't do is make a magic enhanced unarmed strikes class feature that balances with both +1 longswords and +3 Holy Avengers. It has to be left to the DM, so leave it to the DM, basically. This isn't an argument. This is a PSA. You cannot design your way out of this by cribbing from the monk class. It is impossible.

>>52377180
>there's the magic weapon spell as well
Sure, if you expect the class to rely on magic weapon spells allow the spells to work for them. But unarmed characters are already more able to affect weapon-resistant/immune enemies to begin with until they're too enormous to grapple.
>>
>>52375768
terrible
>>
>>52376233
>Is there a viable build for that?
obviously fighter
why are you asking us these dumb questions
>>
>>52377259
Cestoi.
>>
>>52377230
I haven't seen any +1 unarmed strike items in the 5e modules, but I might be forgetting something. Could you tell me where they are?
>>
>>52377299
The first printed module, HotDQ.
>>
>>52377267
I particularly hate the fact that everyone and his dog wants to make a new pugilist dude, and they are almost always more angry and impertinent than monks, while also looting copiously. Christ.
>>
>>52377224
You can use existing monsters as base I guess, but 5e doesn't really "do" conscious monster design like 4e did.

But some monster abilities could be good inspirations.

The Angry DM (however his name is supposed to be spelled) had some good pointers IIRC.
>>
So I just got to level 14 bard, so it's time for Magical Secrets and I want you to meme my shit up /tg/. What two spells should I pick up

Simulacrum is looking sexy
>>
Threadly reminder that Immortal with Bestial Claws is the best Mystic, Str, Con, Dex and Int all the way
>>
>>52377333
how about you go read a guide and think about it yourself
>>
>>52377082
I think that would count as an attack.
>>
>>52377333
Simulacrum is a spell for scumbags.
>>
>>52376588

Dude, strahd is Bisexual. That's what Escher is for.
>>
>>52377329
5e's got tons of conscious monster design, dude. It also has something that 4e didn't, offensive and defensive CR, so you can have glass cannons, for example.
>>
>>52377381
I am a bard.

I want to fuck myself. How else am I supposed to do it?
>>
File: 1475378134302.png (76KB, 272x210px) Image search: [Google]
1475378134302.png
76KB, 272x210px
>Go to read 4e PHB
>History of D&D sidebar
>"It...firmly establishes D&D for the next decade of play."
RIP Final Fantasy Tactics & Dragons, 2008-2011
>>
>>52377393
XD :))) le ebin bard
>>
>>52377393
Have you ever stuck your dick in snow?
It ain't fun.
>>
>>52377407

>his bard doesn't live in a constant self destructive spiral of alcohol sex addiction as a distraction from the horrible things he's seen in the war.

Ok then.
>>
>>52377317
sometimes you just want to rip someone's jaw with your bare hands and the monk doesn't really fit into that theme.
>>
>>52377471
Doesn't matter how traumatic the life you've endured is, once you're a bard, you're nothing a a spoony twat with a permaboner, meant to act as comedic relief for the "serious" members of the party.
>>
>>52377390
> It also has something that 4e didn't, offensive and defensive CR, so you can have glass cannons, for example.

Glass cannons polarize combats. Meatwalls (without anything to have them "draw aggro") are just boring. And the small variations that aren't edge cases like that are covered by the 4e monster roles anyway.

It's not a bad system, but it's not really all that innovative.
>>
>>52377492
bullshit and i feel ashamed of everyone that rp their bard like this.
>>
>>52377473
that doesn't justify parasitizing off the monk
>>
>>52377505
You do understand that's the joke, right?
>>
>>52377505

I've never seen anyone roleplay a bard like this, but almost every group with a bard that I've ever seen treats their bards like this
>>
>>52377507
Yeah, but it should be a different route to the same basic concept. Like sorcerers and warlocks to wizards.
>>
>>52377492
>jokes
>implying that eternally horny nitwit with a traumatic past can't be played as a serious concept
>>
>>52377518
it's a harsh, poorly rewarded, life. it's all fun when the wizard fireballs the encounter, or when the fighter crits, but no one cares about the suggestions, mass disables, the tactical flights and invisibilities or all the millions of skill checks. truly a hard life.
>>52377517
i know but even then, i'm salty.
>>
>>52377504

>but it's not really all that innovative.

It was a huge, gaping hole in 4e's vaunted tactical diversity, not to mention that 5e has a pretty nice monster design system.
>>
>>52377519
>Yeah, but it should be a different route to the same basic concept

I will always reject anyone's utterly shit tier homebrew that is "doesn't bother with that fancy mumbo-jumbo, he's bare knuckled foightan rough and tumble! pugilist! Rawr! btw his punch are magic :DDDD"
>>
>>52377580
>It was a huge, gaping hole in 4e's vaunted tactical diversity

I just explained why that isn't true.

Artillery were already the "deals lots of damage but has bad defenses" and brutes/soldiers already have the "has lots of hp/good defenses" covered.

And you can tweak those with solo/elite rules easily. Or give them monster templates that modify offense/defense (I think "gets double damage but half hp is actually an existing monster template").

The "can oneshot you, but you can oneshot him" and "you can't kill him, but he also can't kill you" edge cases are not worth fretting over.
>>
>>52377567

Preach. DM won't even let me do persuasion or deception checks any more, no matter how well I role play them. He says "I'm so good he just won't bother" but what he actually does is that he rules that every one I talk to is a Sherlock Holmes on the spectrum, when I talk to them
>>
>>52375575
Add the babysitter of Strahd

How do you get more weapon bonds or are you stuck at 2 max?
>>
>>52377635
>I just explained why that isn't true.

But you didn't. You just explained that you don't *like* it, and that a more defensive monster, quite obviously, should have a way of capitalizing on it. Big difference.

>Artillery were already the "deals lots of damage but has bad defenses"

They seem to have the same damage as anyone else, and AoE has less damage. In contrast, in other editions AoE tends to have among the highest sources of damage in the game, at least as far as what antagonists aim at PC.

>Or give them monster templates that modify offense/defense (I think "gets double damage but half hp is actually an existing monster template").

Not that I know of. There are certainly templates that add an annoying amount to defense (not that 4e monsters need more defense), not so much as far as just focusing on offense.

>edge cases are not worth fretting over.

I'm not fretting over it, especially 4e since is done with, not to mention that that's a huge exaggeration.

If you don't think wizards are cool antagonists I don't know what to tell you.
>>
Are rogues still terrible for damage?
>>
>>52377624
Well yeah. I agree with you that the presentation is important.

But the concept itself is okay, you just need to work to make it not awful.
>>
tfw you play d&d for the first time ever, read a reply about a bard that sums up your party's bard LOL

Constant wisdom checks and such. Lots of talking. Songs out the wazoo that are like LOL WAT

Meanwhile I am sucked inside a mist monster, swinging for dear life, action surging with my flail while trying to make cameraderie and fun RP for the monk, cleric, and druid keeping us alive.

Surviving 44 points of lightning damage.

This is a great game. thank you all for these posts!
>>
>>52377733
They're generally below average on damage.

If you build them properly, they're pretty okay.
>>
>>52377890
>>52377733
Oh, right.
Here's a graph.
>>
>>52377718
>You just explained that you don't *like* it.

I explained why not having a glass cannon isn't a "gaping hole in 4e's vaunted tactical diversity".

>and that a more defensive monster, quite obviously, should have a way of capitalizing on it.

Too bad 5e doesn't have any built in ways for monsters to do that.

>Not that I know of. There are certainly templates that add an annoying amount to defense (not that 4e monsters need more defense), not so much as far as just focusing on offense.

I remember that half the themes in the DMG 2 were variations on monsters dealing extra damage

>If you don't think wizards are cool antagonists I don't know what to tell you.

They are absolutely cool! I just don't think fights that are diced in 1 shot are, nor that that's a requirement for an enemy wizard.
>>
What's the pitfall of a time-loop adventure? Assuming it's based in a town where you can go everywhere at a point in the span of half an hour, very closed circle of NPCs (everyone who lives here knows each other kind of shit) and such.

To get to the point, my PCs found shattered pieces of an hourglass which they all had physical contact with and decided to keep it (getting it fixed). At the time, I thought it was just a trinket they wanted (they were exploring an abandoned college of magic) but as they're heading to their next venture, I was thinking this could link to a bigger hook where the hourglass is actually one that can cause a timeloop and it's part of a bigger magic device. Maybe have an address etched to the bottom end of the hourglass to bring them to the aforementioned town. Still unsure whether to let the device be crazy time magic running wild underneath the town or have it that a BBEG is tinkering with this causing the loop when the adventurers reach there.

Anyway, just wondering what pitfall that can happen? Cause with how random and chaotic DnD can be due to its unpredictability with how PCs interact with the world, I can imagine there are somethings i have to pull to make it work and engaging.
>>
>>52376080
>better as oneshots
I think they're supposed to be one-shots or sidequests. It doesn't give much advice for putting them into campaignsat least.

>thay
I dunno, i have a soft spot for megadungeons like that.
>>
Tales from the Yawning Portal scans when?
>>
>>52378046
yesterday
>>
>>52378046

mega idjit
>>
>>52377982
I think the major pitfall would be if the NPCs aren't interesting the PCs might not care about them. Since, by its nature, the plot would presumably leave the players limited to this town, it's a bigger issue than normal.
>>
File: Alucard-4.jpg (334KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
Alucard-4.jpg
334KB, 700x800px
Is playing a day-walker that's essentially a variant human undying warlock that drank blood of a vampire lord and is slowly developing more and more vampiric magic an edgy character or an interesting concept?
>>
>>52376933
If you want to dual wield in melee swashbuckler is the best at it when it comes to rogues
>>
What are people's thoughts on the optional feats? I'm gonna be doing my first 5e game soon, should I allow them from the start?
>>
>>52378117

That's what Undying warlocks are for.
Pity about the shit mechanics. I hope you're doing something like CoS or other stuff full of undead
>>
>>52378123
Also, how's class balance in general? How free should I feel to make whatever sounds cool?

One thing I hated about 3.5/pf was how easy it was to make a dude who just can't do anything against monsters his own level
>>
>>52377958
>Too bad 5e doesn't have any built in ways for monsters to do that.

It has plenty. Don't understand this gripe.

>I remember that half the themes in the DMG 2 were variations on monsters dealing extra damage

Move dem goalposts good.
>>
If you have the Extra attack feature and you use Flame Blade, can you attack more than once per turn with it? I don't think so but I wanted to see.

Also, if a spellcaster has Flame Blade out, can they make attacks of opportunity with it?
>>
>>52378123
optional feats are almost mandatory, there's no reason to not allow them
>>52378169
Class balance is pretty damn good, not as balanced as 4e, but miles ahead of 3e. Martials can do stuff again, Casters aren't just making themselves gods and taking huge dumps on martials. Though they are still objectively better than martials.
>>
>>52378176

>It has plenty. Don't understand this gripe.

Such as?

>Move dem goalposts good.

By mentioning that there's a bunch of themes I remember in the 5e DMG2 that focus on offense?

You are right, they are just zooming by.
>>
My DM doesn't allow the selection of optional feats, but he does allow you to gain them as storyline-related rewards. I find this more interesting personally. Our DM is not a hardass so he'd change it if we didn't like it, but it seems to work and makes you work harder in RP/form new relationships with NPCS/etc.
>>
>>52376314
Is it worth it to take the sharpshooter feat on that archetype?
>>
So im trying to homebrew a cleric of music domain, what would be some good spells for it?
>>
>>52377905
cbe?
>>
>>52378388
crossbow expert
>>
>>52378218
No, the attack granted by Flame Blade is a unique action defined by the effect of the spell.

No to the second as well, since it isn't a physical weapon you can attack with as part of the Attack action.

I'd allow it if the caster had the War Caster feat, but that's just a houserule and absolutely not RAW or RAI.
>>
>>52378366
1 twerk, sellout
3 marry a nigger, liberal sensibility
5 lose touch, create charity
7 drug use, enter rehab
9 die of enlarged heart, be forgotten
>>
>>52378439
hmm ok makes sense
>>
>>52378441
I was thinking of music as more of metal, rock, and some irish drinking music.
>>
>>52378366

Bard spells.
>Dissonant Whispers
>Healing Word
>Silence
>Shatter
>Enthral
>Hypnotic Pattern
>Fear
>Compulsion

You get the idea
>>
>>52378123

I allow them in all my games with using RAW that they can pick it up on ASI levels but have to pick that between ASI and feats.
>>
>>52378478
Follow up question: Resistance to thunder damage and the heavy armor&martial weapon prof at level 1 to strong?
>>
Hm, I'm thinking Sunless Citadel makes an actually pretty good replacement for Death House in Curse of Strahd
>>
>>52378542

more importantly, it doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>52378584
I couldn't think of anything better for the not channel divinity ability at level 1.
>>
>>52378542
If that's all you get at level 3 it's probably not even quite as good as valor if you ask me.
>>
>>52378652
>>52378542
Wait I got mixed up and thought this was a bard nevermind.
>>
>>52378542
>resistance to thunder damage
yeah I know it's part of the fluff but thunder damage is so fucking uncommon it barely matters
>>
>>52378542
>>52378584
>>52378671
Would it be better to give them a small area (Like 20 ft circle) trance/charm by using their action to perform with their instrument?
>>
>>52378724

How about giving them the Instrument of the Bards shtick where an enemy has disadvantage against a Charm save?
>>
>>52378366
Hard to see ones which would really be suitable for just music, but here's an attempt:

Level Spells
1st Tasha's uncontrollable hideous laughter
3rd enthrall, shatter
5th counterspell, hypnotic pattern
7th compulsion, confusion
9th dominate person, modify memory.
>>
>>52378724
make it so they can use their bardic inspriation to take away people's saves
>>
>>52378891
Not a bard, they're working on a cleric of music.
>>
File: 1458000089255.jpg (195KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1458000089255.jpg
195KB, 1024x768px
>>52375575
Well, they could have added more haunting set pieces, maybe some guidelines for how to play soulless Barovians and the odd quirks of every major faction/town? People in Vallaki should have a list of odd character traits that separate them from those in the village of Barovia, and they should have their own odd traits to make them unique from those in Krezk, etc. Maybe those barbarian tribes each have their own unique totem they venerate (bat, wolf, goat, raven, etc)? Also, completely remove the 'Mad Mage' to prevent the characters from possibly gaining a super powerful ally.

Also, do not do the tarokka reading in front of the players, simply assign where you want the artifacts and such to be and then play it out in front of the players.
>>
>>52378904
oh darn
>>
Is it just me, or are the encounter difficulty guidelines hilariously overvalued? I've put my players against a challenge that the book tells me is Deadly multiple times, only to see them smash through without anyone even getting close to falling down. And this group isn't even nearly optimized or powergamey.

From my (admittedly short) experience, it seems like having more than four people in a party will exponentially increase the party's power. Of course, I factored the additional people in, but they're still punching way above what the DMG says is their weight class.
>>
>>52378289
Only if you like dealing stupidly vast amounts of damage.

Its definitely Loremaster of Fighter.
>>
>>52378942
>Also, do not do the tarokka reading in front of the players, simply assign where you want the artifacts and such to be and then play it out in front of the players.
That completely defeats the purpose of the card reading.
>>
>>52379162
The guidelines are to keep you from TPKing, dude, and offensive and defensive CRs have different implications.
>>
>>52379162
3 players is just right
4 players is training wheels for babby's first DM
5+ is good job you broke the action economy and adding more creatures/HP will not prevent the unmitigated fuckening the players will dish out
>>
>>52378366
CONCUSSIVE CHORD
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: V or S
You release a blast of sound with your voice (verbal component) or your instrument (somatic component). Make a ranged spell attack against a creature within range. On a hit the creature takes 1d8 thunder damage. Creatures with keen senses can be targeted a range of 120 feet.
At Higher Levels: The damage of the chord increases when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th (3d8), and 17th (4d8).
>>
>>52379181

Maybe, but if they tell me that challenge X is supposed to be very taxing for the party and actually threaten them, I'd like to think I can at least expect to see some tight situations. I haven't really seen that though.
>>
>>52379243
Because you added too many players, you bumblefuck.

>Heh the pizzeria said this pizza can feed four but my group of six is always hungry checkmate Little Caesar
>>
File: 1413581664068.png (739KB, 1750x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1413581664068.png
739KB, 1750x1450px
How does going EK + PAM + Warcaster + Spell Sniper w/ Booming Blade compare to just doing the standard Battle Master + PAM + Sentinel (+ GWM) build?
>>
>>52379243
Read the DMG for guides on how to increase difficulty for larger parties. All D&D CRs are calibrated for a 4-member party, and every time you add a member it increases the overall power of the group exponentially. The same is true of creatures you encounter. For instance, one Flumph is an easy challenge for a single level 1 player, but 2 Flumphs are a Hard challenge.
>>
Hey, anons? I was just playing through Planescape: Torment again, and Kesai-Serris made me start thinking about something. I know she's technically a tiefling/hagling hybrid, but, still...

If Tieflings were to be opened up into a subrace style race, what subraces could you see?
>>
>>52376457
Perhaps the unique power of Pact of the Vestige would be the ability to swap evocations with the vestige tag after a short or long rest?
>>
>>52379280
Yeah, I guess I'm just a fucking retard for believing that game that claims it can support 4+ players could actually support 4+ players with the adjustments the book itself is telling me to make.

>>52379450
I can't really find anything else than adjusting the xp multiplier for a party of larger size. Is there some actual detailed information that I'm missing, or is that it? Because honestly, that doesn't seem to be working too well.
>>
>>52379610
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
Use this.
>>
What to do if you have to face a mage with greater invisibility?
>>
File: 1313239386121.png (57KB, 246x243px) Image search: [Google]
1313239386121.png
57KB, 246x243px
Why are there so many items missing from 5e? Is Wizards waiting to just publish a separate equipment book to squeeze out another $40?
>>
File: cdc.jpg (33KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
cdc.jpg
33KB, 600x558px
>>52377905
>All those powergamer optimization feats

Not in my games, Jack.
>>
>>52379696
Only for you, with the express goal of pissing you off. You, specifically.
>>
>>52379610
Page 82, DMG.

If you want to make a Deadly Encounter, add all the XP values listed in the XP Threshold table. That's the most the XP Value should be.

Take the monsters you want to put in. Multiply their XP value by the Encounter Multiples amount.

If the number you end up with is less than the XP Threshold, add more monsters.

Jesus Christ it's like I'm talking to a fucking baby.
>>
>>52379734
I've never felt so loved.
>>
>>52379527
Diabolic, Demonic, Yugolothic?, Night Hag, Raksasha, Succubus (in 5e they're no longer demons, technically), and any others I may have missed, though those are all of the fiendish types I can think of off the top of my head for 5e
>>
>>52379688
RAW, you can still locate invisible people by sound. So if he isn't making stealth checks really all he's doing is giving you disadvantage on attacks, which isn't the end of the world.
>>
>>52375846
What about x1.5 instead of x2? Though I'd still prefer maneuvers.
>>
>>52379782
Old Black Magic UA introduced Abyssal tieflings, codified PHB as Infernal. I could potentially see them providing us with a planescape UA containing racial variants and *maybe* getting a Perditious (Or would that be Gehennic?) subrace out of that.
>>
>>52375575
My DM let me make voodoo dolls of all of the other players in the group (I have a witch doctor in my employ)

The players are all very aware of this fact because they all woke up one morning with large chunks of hair missing (except for me, my hair is lush and full as ever) and I've had voodoo dolls of NPCs before so it's pretty obvious what I did.

Ostensibly I won't be trying any bullshit like killing them but one of the other PCs loathes mine. What kind of hijinks should I get up to?

So far I've just been snuggling his doll to sleep at night and it's been pissing him off to no end. The DM tells him he gets the distinct feeling that he is being held and he can feel hot breath on his neck.
>>
>>52379906
you should give it smooches, too.
>>
>>52379527
Well, the UA had Infernal (standard) and Abyssal (random magic) Tieflings. I think there's also a flying variant out there?

Hagspawn would make a good subrace, for Kesai-Sarris, and Gann from Mask of the Betrayer. Although they would be limited to Night Hags, as the others are fey.

Other Tiefling subraces could be Yugalothborn, Raksashalings, or, terrifyingly, Obyrithspawn.
>>
>>52379906
Hold its hand
>>52379892
Yeah, that's true. Night hags are specifically fiends, so they're on the table for potential tiefling-hood. Honestly, I really like Yugoloths, there's so much potential there. It'd be really interesting to see what a Gehennic (I like it!) tiefling would be like.
>>
The paladinpusher went from "oh no, it'd be an instakill" to conceding it'd be a difficult fight for the paladin even on an open plain. Really makes you think.
>>
>>52380061
What are you talking about?
>>
>>52380061
Did you have a stroke?
>>
>>52380082
See the autism last thread.
>>
>>52379817
That works I guess. I don't want to waste a spell slot on see invisibility if I don't have to.
>>
>>52380102
Do you know what a stroke even is?
>>
Who are the most friend-bro classes?

I don't even have to ask what the most autistic classes are. Warlock and chaotic Barbarians.
>>
>>52379726
Enjoy casters out-damaging martials, then.
>>
>>52379726
It's perfectly acceptable to remove weapon feats, but you have to replace it with something or else martials are jack shit worth.
I give players parts of the weapon feats as they need it.
>>
>>52375575
Make Strahd an actual Darklord again.
>>
>>52380119
Also keep in mind that if he's casting spells you should probably be aware of where he is if they have any verbal component.
>>
So Tales has references to other worlds, would we be getting a CS book for each of them?
>>
>>52380142
Clerics. Clerics are the most bro-tier.
>>
File: Heeeeeeeeeeel yeah.jpg (59KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
Heeeeeeeeeeel yeah.jpg
59KB, 398x500px
>>52379241
Not what I was thinking but I'm most definitely taking this, thank you.
>>
>>52380142
If you are a martial, Paladins. They charge in with you and then give you a nice big healing hug.
>>
>>52380142
Clerics, Druids, Bards, and Paladins.
>>
Would you be okay with refluffing Sneak Attack as a flurry of light strikes, rather than a single huge attack? No mechanical change.
>>
>>52380293
Only if you change the name.
No one goes unnoticed after the first strike.
>>
>>52380021
>>52379989
These are absolutely fiendish.

His PC is slowly being consumed by a demon (living armor sort of thing) but he's totally onboard. Like he wants to get consumed. Was thinking about maybe trying to trap the demon in the doll or maybe purge the demon.

His PC is the only one standing in the way of my powerhungry tyrant PC's ambitions, and the big bad is a demon Lord so the party is on my side of the purging debate.

Basically I was thinking of using it as a way of neutralizing him as a threat while seeming altruistic.
>>
>>52380314
not if you're fast enough
>>
>>52380290
>implying Bards are bros

They'll be nice friends, right up until the bar maiden starts a flirt with you and the bard straight up goes "Nope, I'mma give this girl some bardic inspiration" and abandons the group to get some of her magical secrets.
>>
>>52380142
Wolf barbarian or paladin. Sometimes a supportive fighter such as with shield master. Monk. Sometimes cleric or artificer. Sometimes warlock (can push enemies out of melee range of allies and such. Even as a reaction.)
>>
>>52380021
Gehennic Tieflings, at a guess, would have the following stats:
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength increases by 1. (Often hard to judge, the Yugoloths do seem to be very strong as a whole.
Perdition's Mark: You have resistance to acid damage.
Gehennic Instinct: You know the blade ward cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the ray of sickness once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the misty step spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Abyssal and Infernal.
>>
>>52379173

They don't have to know that.
>>
Can you do a bonus action instead of an action?

For example if you want to use two (different) bonus actions on a turn instead of your action
>>
CHROMATIC BOLT
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: V, S
Make a ranged spell attack against a single creature within range. On a hit the target takes damage indicated by rolling on the table.

1d6 Damage
1 1d8 Acid
2 1d8 Cold
3 1d8 Fire
4 1d8 Lightning
5 1d8 Poison
6 1d8 thunder

At Higher Levels: You may roll on the table an additional time and use both results when you reach 5th level (2 rolls), 11th (3 rolls), and 17th (4 rolls).

Fun wild mage cantrip?
>>
>>52380188

Probably allowing them for DMG material. Though I can imagine a big core book releasing then the announcement to allow the setting to be used in DMG.
>>
>>52380582
No.
>>
>>52380582
no
>>
>>52380582
yes
>>
>>52380638
>>52380582
No.
>>
File: 1483861721358.gif (1MB, 169x140px) Image search: [Google]
1483861721358.gif
1MB, 169x140px
>>52380638
>>
>>52380597
Seems cool.
>>
>>52380549
I think this is a pretty good baseline, but I personally would hope to find a way to better differentiate them from their infernal cousins, like the Abyssal tieflings did.
I feel strength is a good idea, as well as the acid resistance. I think the only thing I would shift around or replace would be the spells, though I'm not certain how off the top of my head.
>>
>>52377905
>>52377890
>below average
Putting aside how questionable the actual content of the graph is, that's very obviously not 'below average'. Just 'average'.
>>
>>52380706
At Lvl.19.
Its absolutely below average until Lvl. 11
>>
>>52380597
>splitting damage types
>single attack
I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe do as Eldritch Blast does and create additional bolts at higher levels, rather than just increasing raw damage?
>>
What exactly are the new travel mechanics that this game offers? Is it simply an add-on that uses existing movement rules? Or is it an entirely new system?
>>
>>52380562
The point is so the location is randomised. If it wasn't supposed to be random they'd just tell you where to put the loot.
>>
So, anons? If this teaser WoTC's been giving us does turn out to be official books for 5e Planescape, what would you want them to be doing? A Player's Guide to Sigil, maybe with some new races - that is where we got tieflings, githzerai, bariaur, genasi, aasimar and rogue modrons from, after all?
>>
File: Rin QM.gif (499KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
Rin QM.gif
499KB, 640x359px
Not gonna make another thread just to ask this, what is the closest deity to Gaia on D&D 4e?
>>
>>52380597
I mean, sure. Not for the base game because all the rollfuckery, but absolutely could work otherwise.
>>
>>52380825
BUT CHAOS REIGNS
>>
>>52379296
>Not wielding a Quarterstaff with PAM and Shield.
You're doing Wizard-Knight wrong bro.

We got a Staff of Defence and our EK fucking loves the +1AC and Shield-spam while dishing the smack down with his hitting stick.
>>
>>52380869
chauntea?
>>
Anything I should know if I want to create a wizard? This will only be my second character created ever, so I don't want to create someone who will be useful. Also not sure if I should use EE or the PHB.

After playing a martial and getting an understanding of what I like to do gameplay wise, I think I'm better suited towards spellcasting
>>
>>52380582
You could at least logically store a bonus action (Why can you store an action, but not a bonus action, ever?)
And in that sense you could at least use an action to take a bonus action, probably.

I'd say 'yes, but your DM can call bullshit if they see fit.'

>>52380706
>Questionable content
The only questionable parts of it are extras like an EK hasting themself or the fact they're taking the optimal weapon feats in each case.

The only thing they're shown to be better than for most levels is monk, and monk's focus is stunning the shit out of everything.
>>
>>52380869
Why do people insist on asking 3.5 and 4e questions in the 5e thread.
>>
>>52380869
This isn't a 4e thread, friend.

>>52380895
Multiple bolts actually has even more randomness involved, due to the multiple attack rolls. Also, chaos wants to spread in more than one direction.
>>
>>52380869
Depends; who is Gaia, what is her portfolio, what sort of deity is she?

4e's default nature goddess is Melora, who has dominion over the wilderness, the sea, animals and travel.
>>
>>52375586
Strahd is questionably bisexual
>>
>>52380933
Because fuck you this is /dndg/
>>
File: 1487877550998.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
1487877550998.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>52380972
>>
>>52379296
Also, I'm guessing your "Aha, if you move towards me, BOOMING BLADE PIKE-TRAP!" tactic doesn't work since the AoO must be using your polearm, and amusingly, casting booming blade through your polearm does not count as using your polearm.
>>
>>52380972
go and stay go
>>
>>52380323
>He wants to get consumed
Your magical realm-related options just skyrocketed.

One potential thing you could try to do, instead of trying to trap the demon in the doll, you could attempt to trap his soul, since there's already a link, and, similar to the magic jar spell, have his soul take another, non-demon armor possessed body.
>>
>>52380929
The thing is that bonus actions are always conditional special abilities, and often replicate actions. You know what are the edge cases where they *don't* replicate actions? Double casting Healing Word, double healing with Aura of Vitality, quadruple attacking with Swift Quiver, etc.
>>
>>52375575
What is the strongest class at level 12 in dpr over 5 rounds? A friend said paladin, I said barbarian.
>>
>>52380925
What kind of wizard do you want to make bro, there are lots of ways to go about it.

Do you have a level scope that you know about? Starting at level 1 or starting at level 8, gives us a lot more room to suggest things. Do you want to be a blaster caster laying down templates and high numbers, do you want to be master controller, laying down status effects to debuff and disadvantage your foes, or a cunning manipulator tweaking and twisting the encounters with illusions and enchantments.

Or something more gimmicky like a holy wizard or urist the 8 int wizboy.
>>
>>52380972
/4eg/ exists on an irregular basis, and /pigfucker general/ is the accepted thread for 3.x questions.
>>
>>52380993
>Make a melee weapon attack as part of casting the spell
>doesn't count as an attack with that weapon
>>
So can you use swift quiver on an ally?

The range is touch so it seems like it should work, but everything about the wording of the spell suggests that you use it on yourself.
>>
>>52380960
Gaia is Earth, literally, So he is looking for Chauntea.
>>
>>52381064
you're both wrong, I'm sure.
>>
>>52381058
If you simply say that any bonus action ability is 'once per turn', then sure. You can't use aura of vitality twice now.

Double healing word is hardly worth it. Mass healing word exists once you're past your first few levels, and you're essentially using your action to cast a bonus action spell when you've already cast a bonus action spell, which isn't allowed anyway.

There are plenty of other bonus actions like shield of faith or shillelagh or second wind that feel as though they're bonus actions because they're supposed to do alongside other things. As long as you don't let people do the same thing twice or cast more than one spell a turn when using bonus actions (Which is already not allowed) then it's fine.

Almost always, a plain attack or the dodge action or such would be a much better idea than using a second bonus action.
>>
>>52380694
I went for misty step as a spell because the Yugaloths all have teleportation. The others I wasn't too sure on.

Something maybe to play up their nature as mercenaries. Wrathful and Branding Strikes maybe.
>>
>>52381064
Probably some spellcaster.

Otherwise, without spells, it's probably a paladin, easily. Especially oathbreaker.
>>
>>52381064
A wizard dropping bigby's hand and then fireballs each round!
>>
>>52380933
>>52380940
>>52381094
I know, i'm really sorry but I feel like making a thread just for one stupid question doesn't cut it.
>>52380960
>>52381127
>>52380916
Thank you, I will fuck off now.
>>
File: chalkzone.png (164KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
chalkzone.png
164KB, 500x309px
>>52379696
>>52379756

Which items are you hunting for? Most random utility stuff just needs prices, and can work straight from previous editions.
>>
>>52380993
Oh, the chain works.

PAM
> While wielding a [insert PAM weapon], other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.
Warcaster
> When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack.
Reach
>This property also determines your reach for opportunity attacks with a reach weapon.

Entering your 10' range provokes an opportunity attack with the Reach weapon, and Warcaster allows you to substitute the Reach weapon's opportunity attack with a spell. Booming Blade is a 5' range spell, however, which is why

Spell Sniper
> When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled.

Now, you must make a melee attack for Booming Blade to proc, but we're already wielding a Reach weapon so there's no issue hitting a creature 10' away.
>>
>>52381194
There is currently a thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.
>>
What's the most useless spell and why is it talk with plants
>>
>>52381194
Actually, inspired by this anon... apparently, there's an official 5e writeup of the Dawn War Pantheon somewhere, akin to the divine writeups in Appendix B of the PHB, but can anyone tell mie where it is? I keep flipping through Appendix B, but all I can find are the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, Non-Human, Celtic, Greek, Egyptian and Norse pantheons.
>>
DMing a Faerun campaign for the first time, getting the hang of the gods and demons and all that. One of my players is a Tiefling warlock who chose Asmodeus as his patron.
I read the wiki on Asmodeus and it seems like he's kind of a big deal, being Supreme Lord of the Nine Hells and all. So when the warlock has his first patron meeting, I figured Asmodeus has more important things to do than personally show up to order around a level 1. Instead I sent an imp who told him to desecrate the shrine of another god in order to gain their master's favor.
Player seemed upset that he didn't get to actually meet Asmodeus himself. He rationalized that since Asmodeus is so powerful, he should be able to kind of be anywhere and everywhere to help his subjects like God (capital g).
Am I wrong here? I was going to step it up from an imp, to a glabrezu, to a balor as he becomes more powerful and eventually have him actually meet Asmodeus once he's proven himself.
>>
>>52381301
DMG, page 10.
>>
>>52381160
That was my point, what are the edge cases where you'd even want to use two bonus actions?
>>
>>52380993
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/12/can-you-combine-spell-sniper-war-caster-and-polearm-master-with-booming-blade/
>>
>>52381313
You're good.
>>
>>52381313
You aren't wrong, but if the Warlock IC makes a big deal about it, then you can have the voice of Asmondeus, in his dreams, say "You have much more to prove before I lower myself to your level, mortal. I have many who wish to pledge themselves to me, but scant few who offer any true value to my cause. Show yourself worthy, and I will give you the ultimate pleasure of my presence."
>>
Speaking of gods... anyone here at all remember Greyhawk? I was just wondering: does anyone else think it makes sense to portray Cuthbert of the Cudgel as "Lawful Good with Lawful Neutral tendencies" and Pholtus as "Lawful Neutral, believes self to be Lawful Good, with Lawful Evil tendencies"?

I mean, I know both are Lawful Good "officially" (though Cuthbert is Lawful Neutral in 5e and I think he was in either 3e or 2e?), but still, from their descriptions of them, especially in Dragon Magazine's articles on them, the aforementioned makes a lot more sense to me.

>>52381345
Ah, many thanks, anon.
>>
>>52381313
As the imp might say:
>"Asmodeus is that powerful. You are not. You signed the pact with him, not he with you, and you should be aware of that, mortal. Now, if you follow my suggestions, he may take notice of you."
>>
>>52381354
Say, cast a bonus action spell and then rage. If you have two bonus action buffs like shield of faith and shillelagh (Shillelagh is a cantrip).

They're mostly fringe cases and involve things like multiclassing, I think.
>>
>>52381313
Two of those would be very confused as to why they're now working for their enemy.

Could be interesting though.
>>
>>52381436
Oh whoops. Mixed up my demons and devils, thanks.
>>
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3977-WotC-Goodman-Games-Partner-To-Reprint-Classic-Modules-for-5E#.WNgrX2grKUl

So what old adventures would you most want to see reprinted with 5e conversion info?

Looks like it's going to be a group of adventures published together in a hardcover.
>>
>>52380925
>I don't want to create someone who will be useful.
Wot4e Monk is your guy.
>>
>>52381173
That's a good point, misty step is pretty legit. As for the mercenary trait, I think that's a good point to emphasize, though instead of using spells, maybe just grant proficiency in deception and persuasion?
>>
>>52381535
Isle of Dread, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, The Night Below, the Great Modron March.
>>
File: 1355782941154.jpg (80KB, 405x344px) Image search: [Google]
1355782941154.jpg
80KB, 405x344px
>>52381240
Well, I'd gotten kinda spoiled by the clusterfuck hoard of items available in Pathfinder. I was used to having stuff like Smokesticks, Tindertwigs, Smoke Pellets, Saps, Folding Poles... a lot of things that added a lot of variety in terms of how inventive you could be without having to ask the DM to ballpark the price for everything you want to look for. Oddly enough, some prices for items actually mentioned in the PHB aren't there either; like, you can get string in the Burglar's Pack starter kit, but there's no listing for how much a ball of it is. I just find it odd that even stuff that was in previous editions is just gone; the weapon selection is much smaller, there's no stuff like Sunrods or Tanglefoot Bags. And I feel kinda weird just asking if I can use the prices straight from old books, because in a lot of them, the prices on stuff they have in common is way different, like how Alchemist's Fire is 20gp in 3.5 but 50gp in 5e, or how a Healer's Kit is 50gp and 1lb. in the former, but 5gp and 3lbs. in the latter, despite their mechanics being more or less the same, down to the number of charges in it.
>>
I am homebrewing a cantrip that's an "alternative" to Mage Hand. It'g got a range of only 10 feet, but allows you to use a weapon with it.

With a feat (that one race in my setting can get at level 1) they can attack with such weapons using their Casting Ability.

How OP is this as a concept?
>>
>>52381626
Depends, does the weapon in mage hand keeps their proficiency score, feats, stats bonuses?
>>
>>52381687
The only restriction I had is that the weapon can't be "heavy" and acts as if wielded in one hand.
>>
File: Martial options (Equipment).pdf (374KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Martial options (Equipment).pdf
374KB, 1x1px
>>52381615
>>
>>52381626
So a race/class combo in your setting has permanent Spiritual Weapon?

Well why the fuck not it's not like priests don't have it permanent either, they all do it asap
>>
File: martial equipment.pdf (139KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
martial equipment.pdf
139KB, 1x1px
>>52381626
very
>>52381720
>>
>>52381626
Congrats on giving S&B Paladins 10' reach melee attacks that key off their everything stat.
>>
File: CxRRGajWgAIqaCe.jpg (165KB, 1200x668px) Image search: [Google]
CxRRGajWgAIqaCe.jpg
165KB, 1200x668px
>>52381720
>>52381747
Not >>52381615 but I will be looking through this stuff. Just what I was looking for to toss into my Fantasy Cost-Co.
>>
>>52381732
Race/feat, but yeah
It's not quite as good as Spiritual Weapon, since it has to stay within 10 feet of the caster, but the comparison is apt. Attacking with the cantrip uses both the bonus and standard action too.

>>52381793
I mean, is it anything a proper PAM Paladin can't do? Plus this eats their bonus action, so no twf.
>>
>>52381720
This looks more fun than standard rules, does light armor increase damage you take from attacks with it's negative DR?
>>
>>52381720
Huh, neato. Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>52381889
Attacking with their casting stat that is also their bonus to everyone's saves stat, without doing Shillelagh shenanigans, for one. S&B also don't generally use their bonus action unless they multiclassed into say sorcerer for quickened spell.

I don't think it's broken, but it's a very weird ability that's a big straight buff to some builds.
>>
>>52381720
only good homebrew ever made
>>
>>52381835
Where all your dreams come true?
>>
What would a Gelugon-descendent tiefling look like?
>>
>>52382007
Got a deal for you!
>>
>>52381558
Good idea. Look at Detect Balance, that -- along with Misty Step, would still work.

So, somewhat revised...

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength increases by 1.
Gehenna's Mark: You have resistance to acid damage.
Fiendish Tongue: You gain proficiency in the Deception and Persuasion skills.
Perdition's Step: Once you reach 5th level, you can also the misty step spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Abyssal and Infernal.
>>
File: sean-ray-insectman-wip.jpg (340KB, 1920x2147px) Image search: [Google]
sean-ray-insectman-wip.jpg
340KB, 1920x2147px
>>52382016
>>
>>52381953
Read the description below the table. DR is proficiency bonus + DR adjustment, minimum 0.
>>
>>52382025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz5rDb7-kLk
>>
>>52382035
I'm digging it, I think we got a pretty solid base. In the future, I think it'd be nice to flesh it out a bit more, make it more unique from its cousins, but this is bretty gud.
>>
>>52375575
What are some of the best DPR multiclasses excluding paladin/sorcerer and nuke druid?
>>
>>52382263
Pal/lock
>>
>>52379162
Never, ever use single monster encounters unless they've got legendary resistance/legendary actions. They'll be a cakewalk.
>>
>>52382263
Isn't nuke druid nova, not dpr?
>>
>>52381543
I played a monk WOH but ended up having to multi class light cleric for a little more versatility in fights.
>>52381080
I found I'm not really into running straight into a fight and trading blows. And doing the highest amount of damage out of everyone really doesn't interest me (unless the party really lacks dmg)
I'd prefer to do a master controller. Keeping the enemy debuffed throughout the engagement and be able to also do OK attack damage. I looked at Cleric and flavor wise I prefer playing a wizard.
>>
>>52381720
Wizards should have hired this guy
>>
>>52382297
Nuke Druid has the option of being solid DPR instead of just buttfuckedly Novaing something. Just a single Harvest Scythe d10 to an Nth level Magic Missile ends up putting out (N+2)x(1d10+1d4+1) damage, no save or attack required. It's very consistent and can be scaled up or down as appropriate to the encounter you're facing.
>>
>>52381720
>Shady fence
>Will return the magic item of immeasurable value if they can't find a buyer
>Not just fucking run off with the item because holy fuck I can retire and live happily with a middle class family with this and get education for my kids

>Arrows that deal exactly 1 and only 1 damage a round

>Fiddley extra rules like a maybe-you'll-get-a-bonus against cover on ranged attacks that won't show up very often and when it does nobody will remember this specific rule

>Can feint against a target then attack someone else

And so forth.

Most of these are actually good ideas, but the thing is...
You don't need concrete rules for them. You should say, 'Oh, I want to feint.' and then the DM will make up suitable rules, warn you 'Okay, if you fail this you might get disadvantage instead' and you can attempt a feint.

This sort of guide is good for DMs who lack improvisational skill, though.

Some of the tabled stuff is actually kinda good because you can't improvise the things in those tables as easily.

Stuff like monks recovering ki only really allows for more stunning strikes. Monk's problem isn't a limited resource pool, but what those resources are best used for, really.

Overall better than most UA shit but honestly better than having strict defined items it would be better to say
'Okay, here's a list of items and short descriptions of what they do. Their exact DCs and stats are situational, the DM will decide.'
>>
>>52382504
>>Shady fence
>>Will return the magic item of immeasurable value if they can't find a buyer
>>Not just fucking run off with the item because holy fuck I can retire and live happily with a middle class family with this and get education for my kids
you know whom you should not doublecross? High level rogue that most likely will be in that party, will find that fence and feed his child entrails to his family
>>
>>52382263
Fighter sorlock isn't massively great on DPR but its constant pushback is immense.

Barbarogue's damage isn't immense but it's great for grapples and being tough.

cleric1/wizardX is just the usual spellcaster that can probably find some consistent DPR thing to do and have armour. I suppose.

Abjuration wizardlock has DPR for as long as enemies keep hitting you in melee and your shields hold.

Fighter can always take a level of barbarian for +2 damage per hit while raging. So probably barbarian1/fighterX with GWM+PAM+Savageattacker+GWF for maximum deepeeesss

Also, yeah, 3 levels of warlock or 6 levels of bard + paladin.

In the end, none of the multiclasses really get much better if at all over a normal class. You might as well go pure paladin, pure fighter, pure ranger or whatever in most cases.

The main exceptions are dex barbarians really should multiclass into rogue and blaster warlocks really should multiclass into sorcerer.
>>
>>52382599
What, is the high level rogue going to chase this guy on a ship to a continent they're unlikely to ever go to and they don't have time to get to over a magic item that, to the party, was clearly not useful enough to keep in the party and thus they wanted to get rid of it?
Well they got rid of it, well done.

Even a +1 weapon the party no longer needs could probably net a shadey character 250-500gp which... To be honest, might not be the best pay out, but they would probably rather have that. And this isn't even getting onto bigger items the party might get them to sell.
And then, for all you know, the fence will only give you half the money and lie about how much they got.
>>
>>52382683
New thread.
>>
I cast call lightning and hit nearly the whole party. How have you fucked up in the past /5eg/?
>>
>>52382726
>tfw always right about who's the traitors and who isn't
>tfw turn up late to a session
>tfw party is busy being attacked by helpful guide #05 who I clearly warned was being suspicious

I fucked up by not being the only person to live up to their wisdom score in the party.
>>
I want to run the Forge of Fury from the new book but my big thought is what are they going to do with all that gold afterwords. I counted it up and if you gather all the coins and gemstones you end up with the equivalent of 8600 gold pieces, and somewhere you get 8 platinum pieces as well. Not to mention there are a couple +1 weapons, spell scrolls and a magic trinket or two.

Is there a nice list of pricing for things like furniture or art or extravagant weapons/armor that my players can splurge on with their dungeon spoils? I've noticed I'm pretty bad at pricing things whenever a PC goes to a merchant stall and asks for something unexpected.
>>
>>52375586
his whole backstory is "Mai waifu!"
>>
>>52382322
>>52382322
Sleep is a fantastic spell early, able to turn many encounters into walks as you sleep 2-3 enemy combatants straight out of the fight.

Colour-spray is a very reliable blind, giving your allies advantage to attack and disadvantage to be hit with no save, but it is just one turn of zip so depends how much use you get out of it.

Charm-person and Silent-Image are as useful as your GM lets them be, due to very vauge wordings.

Shield can protect you from attacks, but eats your slots quickly. Absorb Elements can protect you from enemy spellcasters and other similar effects, but same issue. Fog cloud can serve as a get out of jail free card, Fog the floor and you can walk away without attacks, or simply take the hide action next turn and be untargettable. All nice defensive options.

Magic Missile is automatic damage, so some people are a big fan. Damage is low, but automatically slamming 10 damage onto a hard to hit or damage creature can be valuable.

Thunderwave is short range, but pretty solid when it comes to 1st level attacking spells, just be aware that it alerts everything within 300-600ft so using it pretty much ruins any chance of suprise for a while at best, and will get an army on your tail at worst.
>>
What are the drawbacks to Nomadic Anchor + Phantom Caravan? It seems like the Nomadic Step Mystic pretty much always is able to bail the whole party out of a sticky situation.

The few counters I can think of are:
>target/party member is unconscious and thus not willing
>vision of party members is obscured
>party members out of reach
>anti-magic field
>enemy springs ambush at nomadic anchor
>>
File: IMG_3399.jpg (14KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3399.jpg
14KB, 272x185px
Let's say I wanna give a randomly determined boon to the first player to take it.

What are some fun,versatile,interesting boons a sacred object/monolith can give to a player at 1st level and then a equally hindering curse to balance it?

Ide like it to be something at least relatively useful in most situations and hard to get rid of at low levels.
>>
>>52376508
For what purpose
>>
>>52376518
Ranged weapons even with feat dont get advantage for attacking a prone within 5ft.
>>
>>52378942
But Mad Mage is fun and is only one possible enemy of strahd

And the card reading is extremely fun why would you ever remove it
>>
>>52379213
I have seven players

They are retarded and die constantly though
>>
>>52379906
Well I question why you haven't been murdered yet
>>
>>52380293
No. Why wouldn't a magical weapon activate each time for example
>>
Thinking about play a Tempest cleric, variant human with Spell Sniper/Booming blade with whip.

Or should I just do strength and forget about long range booming blades?

Has anyone played a Tempest Cleric?
Thread posts: 385
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.