[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DnD 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 423
Thread images: 36

File: 1489401196747.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489401196747.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

WIzards Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>52355607

Thread question: When was the last time a magic user in your game did something that helped out another character in RP?
>>
>>52362283
I play an artificer, so all the goddamn time.
>>
File: gaston-balanced.png (376KB, 1622x2082px) Image search: [Google]
gaston-balanced.png
376KB, 1622x2082px
reposting from the end of last thread

Could use your help making a balanced Gaston character for one of my players.

So far:
>Paladin that uses crossbows and greatsword
>Oath of Devotion
>To himself.

Stats (baseline human) based on his song:
14, 12, 16, 8, 10, 18

I was thinking Folk Hero with the rustic hospitality exchanged with Lefou, who would have terrible stats.

Ideals are of destroying the unnatural, decorating with antlers, and collecting trophies (like the prettiest wife).
Flaws are arrogance, quick to anger, and being prone foolhardy acts of heroism.

What am I missing?

pic related
>>
The party cleric is some kind of genius at motivational speeches. Not even just due to good Charisma rolls, it's mostly that his player is a fucking all-star who always has a completely different motivational speech prepared for every situation. It's amazing to watch.
>>
How do I deal with a pacifist, DMs? I don't want to impede his code of honor to not kill (like Batman in a way) but his party are asking him what is he honestly expecting when he goes out adventuring and running into folk who want to kill him? In a "you can't spare everyone's lives you know?" way. So far, it's been adding in-game character drama for the players and everyone is engaged especially since we have a Vengeance Paladin who sorta sees his views but when they get to a point that the there is a massive gray area regarding sparing or killing the life of a villain, it adds a lot of tension IC (OOC we're all cool.)

I've never quite handled something like this before. Cause one, I feel intimidated by the amount of characters and NPC mobs he'll leave behind (I don't have to RP all of them though) so I'm not sure how far he can take this ideal.

Any ideas?
>>
File: 2.jpg (47KB, 640x461px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
47KB, 640x461px
Reposting for new thread.

Aboleth Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Aboleth enter adulthood at around age 10. They do not die of old age.
Alignment. Aboleths are dominated by the need to dominate others, to control all that was once theirs. Most Aboleth tend towards Lawful Evil.
Size. You are around 7 to 8 feet long, and weigh several hundred pounds. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base slithering speed is 20 feet. You also have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
Amphibious. You can breath air and water.
Darkvision. Dwelling in the depths of the underdark, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Tentacles. Instead of arms and hands, you have sinuous tentacles which don't impair your grip, but count as a natural weapon which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6+your Strength modifier.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Mindwalker. You can speak telepathically to any creature within 30 feet of you. The creature understands you only if the two of you share a language. You can speak telepathically in this way to only one creature at a time.
Dominate. You can cast the charm spell once with this trait, requiring no material components, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Undercommon, and Deep Speech.
>>
>>52362394
Have him knock them out.

Then have another character kill them.

And if they have a problem with that, then they can't keep playing. It will only make trouble.
>>
>>52362418
>it adds a lot of tension IC (OOC we're all cool.)

Read, nigga
>>
File: 1483295838634.jpg (28KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483295838634.jpg
28KB, 960x720px
>Original false entrance to the Tomb of Horrors
>Only hint is the ceiling is made of badly fitting stones that you can't even see
>Trigger trap and take 5d10 unavoidable damage
>Spending a round as ethereal carries a heavy risk of havign a demon summoned on your ass
>Poisoned spike pits are save or die

>Nu-Tomb of Horrors
>DC10 Investigation check tells you word for word the ceiling is in danger of collapse
>DC15 Dex Save throw to take half of 5d10
>In an edition with bloated HP anyway
>There is only a 20% chance of having a demon summoned on you when going ethereal, and no subsequent checks
>Poisoned spike pits give laughable damage (2d10) and are a DC15 Con for 4d10 poison damage or half

Fuck, I'm mad. Was it too much to ask for an unfairly lethal adventure? Guess I'll have to make my players make AD&D characters, after all.
>>
>>52362283
Our wizard uses phantasmal horror often to drive points home. He has used it to aid my intimidation checks several times. Minor illusions to help us when we're being sneaks. Etc.
>>
>>52362369
Gaston isn't a paladin, he's clearly a neutral (revised) Hunter Ranger.
>>
>>52362394
if you're using the rule where a player can either choose to kill or knock unconscious an enemy who they bring to 0 hit points. just they wake up in an hour after the encounter. if they're generic mooks you don't even really have to care about what happens to them if they never go back there. if they're actual fleshed out NPCs and characters that are knocked out instead, you should maybe have them come back at him for revenge (in increasingly vile and desperate ways), causing him to question his moral code more and more, leading to interesting character development and roleplay opportunities. alternatively, if you dont feel like having to remember too many revenge plots, you could just say that they were changed after a humiliating defeat by him, or they're intimidated by him.
>it adds a lot of tension IC (OOC we're all cool.)
if everyone is having fun and the IC tension isn't toxic or is about to lead to unwanted and contrived PVP, then i don't see anything wrong.
>>
mixed caster/melee edgelords are banned
>>
>>52362496
... But the pun about him falling!

Yeah I'm getting that vibe too. Thanks.
>>
>>52362394
>So far, it's been adding in-game character drama for the players and everyone is engaged especially since we have a Vengeance Paladin who sorta sees his views but when they get to a point that the there is a massive gray area regarding sparing or killing the life of a villain, it adds a lot of tension IC (OOC we're all cool.)
Sounds like you and your group are handling it fine. Is there something specific you're worried about?
>>
File: deus.png (782KB, 668x686px) Image search: [Google]
deus.png
782KB, 668x686px
>>52362519
>banning paladins and clerics
>>
>>52362552
paladins and clerics are fine deus vult

but when you get [Fighter 2/Favored Soul(death) 8/Hexblade Warlock 2] that self hastes, uses great weapon fighting and regularly get 6 attacks off, that shit's banned
>>
File: MONKS SPADE.jpg (238KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MONKS SPADE.jpg
238KB, 1600x1200px
I'm looking at making a monk that fights with a spade; what's the best way about it? I'm looking at dipping 1/2 levels of barbarian but there's a couple trade-offs and I'm not sure if I'm better off just refluffing a straight barbarian to have a coat of shaolin paint.
>>
>>52362394
Someone he left alive tracks the party down looking to avenge his fallen comrades. Or s village the party saved from bandits or some other threat (who the party defeated but left living) ends up getting burned down by the surviving enemies.
Stuff like that, where there are consequences specifically caused by leaving people alive that could make him rethink the ideology.
>>52362469
>DC10 Investigation check tells you word for word the ceiling is in danger of collapse
Only if you burn away the cobwebs first, then investigate the ceiling. And there's no way to disarm it or identify the door as the trigger.
>In an edition with bloated HP anyway
This does seem like an issue, though.
>>
>>52362594
>multiclassing UA
shit should have been banned in the first place
>>
>>52362369
>What am I missing?
a life
>>
>>52362549
>>52362505

To be honest, it's more like a gut feeling that I can't describe. I mean, so far, it's all cool. In fact when he accidentally killed a goblin due to instant death rules (he rolled a crit and his damage exceeded the max hp of the goblin with the math) he was devastated and stuff and it was all fun.

But there's a little bit in myself that wonder how far can this guy go with his ideal? I suppose the main concern for me is that I want to create material for him that complements his character ideals and find ways to weave an interesting tale. Like the other anons suggested, I do like the "revenge plot that makes the PC reevaluate causing interesting RP development" so I can tackle that. So ultimately, my main concern is trying to find creative inspiration to deliver, as a DM, for my party.
>>
>>52362635
the Joker is probably the best example of a character who forces someone else (in this case Batman) to rethink his pacifism. it's a subject a lot of writers have jumped at just as a dynamic between the same two damn characters. just read up on that stuff and you should have plenty of inspiration.
>>
>>52362597
not sure what a spade is in DnD terms but you could try to UA kensai. refluffing a barbarian isn't a bad idea either tho
>>
>>52362469
>Fuck, I'm mad

in AD&D if the players aren't utter morons they can send in orc zombies etc.
>>
>>52361659
How to fix sorcerers: You can change up to one spell after a long rest. Starting at level 5, you regain 2 sorcery points per short rest. This increases to 4 at level 10, 6 at level 15, and 8 at level 20.

I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
Rate my combo /5eg/

Wall of thorns + thunderwave

How well would that work

What are your suggestions
>>
>>52362358
do artificers really help party? Aren't they glorified blacksmiths?
>>
How often do you guys use spells like Scrying, Locate Object and Clairvoyance?
I know it will vary from game to game, but I want to play a diviner that actually uses these sorts of spells, instead of just playing one because it has portent and portent is good
>>
>>52362594
>multiclassing UA
you set yourself up to failure.
>>
>>52362597
Kensai with a glaive.
>>
File: reasontolive.jpg (786KB, 1252x1716px) Image search: [Google]
reasontolive.jpg
786KB, 1252x1716px
>>52356127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0geIDWPl2I
>>
>>52362702
There spell list is pretty supportive. It seems like most of the time you want the spells on someone else or will give them to someone via Infuse Magic
>>
>>52362633
kek. you're on /tg/ mate.

>>52362594
ban multiclassing UA. Like pronto

>>52362394
We had a Merchant McMerchantson in our campaign once. DM made it that he was insanely pacifist, and would try to convince people to stop fighting from the side-lines, but having no impact whatsoever. The party eventually abandoned him for being too useless, and the player had to roll up a new character. It was fun while it lasted though, and no one held it against the player.
>>
>>52362679
>>52362748

Ooh, Kensai is exactly what I want. Thanks.
>>
>>52362597
bryan cranston really let himself go
>>
>>52362796
Keep in mind that kensei weapons work with martial arts, they just neglected to mention it in the pdf.
>>
>>52362632
>>52362789
>>52362741
i'm not the dm in this horrifying scenario
>>
>>52362789
>DM made it that he was insanely pacifist
Why? Why couldn't the player decide how pacifistic he was?

>It was fun while it lasted though, and no one held it against the player.
You mean no one held it against the DM.
>>
File: 134283497934.jpg (10KB, 223x251px) Image search: [Google]
134283497934.jpg
10KB, 223x251px
>Curse of Strahd
>our party arrives in Barovia via fog
>we run into direwolves and run for our lives to Barovia
>we arrive in Death House
>escape by the skin of our teeth
>we crash in an empty house and long rest there cause we're scared as fuck
>get out and visit the Blood of the Vine tavern
>chill for a bit, meet Ismark who tells of us his plight and some lore
>DM drops Strahd on us
>mfw the fight

Is this how Ravenloft is? I'm both scared and excited.
>>
>>52362878
>Why? Why couldn't the player decide how pacifistic he was?
It was in the sense of the DM forcing the player to not just knock people out, which I believe the player originally wanted to do. It was to avoid OP's scenario. DM also hated the idea that you could hit for 10DMG with a sword hilt to knock an enemy out, or consistently knock out enemies with no issue (which is theoretically harder)

>You mean no one held it against the DM.
Well, both. Nobody disliked the player for making something different, and nobody held it against the DM that he was essentially a spectator in battle.
>>
>Starting new run
>Last second DM says no to my character, given I didn't send him a proper concept before hand but no one else did either
>He says "Well, you know the system good enough, I'll let you run it" even after he turned down another player's concept for the same reason as mine
>Think well, fuck it and start rolling for stats, 3d6, same order as rolled, final destination
>End up with a 13 str, 6 dex, 7 con, 16 int, 12 wis, 12 cha character sheet
>Decide it's going to be a dying old fart wizard with a collapsed lung and out of spite choose no damaging or defensive spells
I have 8ac and 4hp, and still haven't gotten around combat but It's been one session and I already want to kill myself IC. Every single one of my character have tried and failed and maybe that's what gets me the most out of my group, they just won't let me.

Am I being a total faggot? I suspect I am.
>>
>>52362416
I thought it was good to make assassins less reliant on gaining surprise (they'd still get free advantage on all their attacks in the first round, if they won initiative).
You're right, a mechanic that deals with dual wielding and critials might be more fun.
Something like
>+1 to hit
>if you hit with a dagger attack, and it's not a critical, the next dagger attack you hit with this turn becomes a critical
>if you hit with a dagger attack, and it's a critical, the next dagger attack you hit with this turn gains something (speed to 0? +1d4 or 1d6 damage? can't target with opportunity attacks?)
>>
>>52363047
Yeah, why not just leave?
>>
>>52362369
That's really good. It's funny and great.
>>
>>52363186
because outside of the games they are still my friends or something like that.
>>
>>52363047
You are but I will respect you only if you role play the fuck out of that wizard and use utility spells to fuck with people
>>
So, I wanna run a cyberpunk game using this system. How do I do it?
>>
>>52363211
Then if they are your friends kindly tell them this game is fucking stupid and I gimped myself because I'm a sourpuss and now I don't want to play anymore.

Part your fault, part theirs.
>>
>>52363218
Play shadowrun instead, they have a monopoly on it. Or use the modern magic UA if you're that insistent on it being dnd
>>
>>52363217
I've so far narrated everything out loud in my best impersonation of David Attenborough. Like, stuff happening, people dying or fighting, etc.
>>
>>52363047
It does sound like you're being a total ass, yes. General life advice: don't stay somewhere you're unhappy and don't pour time and effort into something they contributes nothing out of spite.
>>
>>52363226
I sometimes feel no one else cares about the little things or bigger picture about the game or the system but then I think I'm just too autistic to have fun or something. Complicated feelings.

Having written a couple of backstories for said unused character(s), reading lore about race and stuff about other settings and shit. While the rest of my group is like, "Well, what gives good charisma? Give me one of those."

I apologize for the autism.
>>
speaking of wizards, anyone have some hooded elf wizard character art by any chance?
>>
>>52363312
>wanting anything to do with elves

Are you a faggot or something
>>
>>52363312
>hooded elf
Have you tried taking a cursory glance at any fantasy art at all?
>>
>>52363047
The important question is, what was your original character?
>>
File: wow.gif (100KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
wow.gif
100KB, 200x150px
A question for anyone who has played or run Lost mines, how did you deal with Iarno? Just let him run or did you attempt to give them a chance to catch the guy. The familiar reads to make capture nigh impossible. Maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough, but I am stuck on a justifiable reason for capture too be achievable

>>52362283
">5e homebrew"
"> half-elf storm sorceror"
"> neutral vhuman fighter and violent goliath druid in tow"
">aggressive guards at the gate"
">Companions get riled up"
">cantdealwiththisshit.jpg"
">cast Minor Illusion to get my own ''papers'' "
">DM: Roll for Sleight for Hand"
">nat 20 (24 total)"
">Just present them. Not even let them scrutinize."
">Get the evil eye from guards"
">Guard: What about their papers"
">DM: Sleight of Hand."
">shit."
">roll 19 (23 total)"
">Guards fall for it again"
">mfw I fooled them twice"
>>
>>52363312
>hooded elf wizard
eww, no, why would you want that.
>>
File: tales.jpg (167KB, 473x300px) Image search: [Google]
tales.jpg
167KB, 473x300px
HD 5e covers...

Now including Tales from the Yawning Portal

imgur.com/a/C5VMA
>>
File: chips.gif (593KB, 370x335px) Image search: [Google]
chips.gif
593KB, 370x335px
Are there any D&D Podcasts/Youtubers that are fun to watch and isn't an autism filled snorefest? I tried watching Dawnforgedcast but jesus christ everyone there is just a boring awkward sperg.
>>
>>52363389
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHDQte2ISFo&list=PLfS8QgUdeGYpc31GVPX6cUEncNxcHsHHM&index=3
>>
>>52363389
I found HighRollers to be fun to watch. Took an episode to build up a resistance to Kim, but after that I was able to ignore her for the better good of Mark's DMing and Trott and Matt's shenanigans.
>>
>>52362699
No one?
>>
>>52363218
Well, the DMG has various weapons.

You'll also want the Modern Magic UA article.
>>
How to fix sorcerers now that wizards get metamagic.

>Sorcerer metamagic can be used on any spell cast within 30 feet of the sorcerer, regardless of who cast it.
>>
>>52363355
Special snowflake shit I could part with aside, a mystic, but he didn't wanted to deal with UA classes (aka artificer and mystic) but was fine with UA class options and volo's races. The other player that wanted to play an artificer ended up going with a phoenix (?) sorcerer aasimar.

You could maybe understand why I ended up doing something stupid and immature but really, I don't blame the dm... not much at least.
>>
>>52363425
Trott was built to be a bard
>>
File: matthew mercer.jpg (13KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
matthew mercer.jpg
13KB, 220x330px
>>52363403
Fucking hell, is there a better DM?
>>
>>52363366
>how did you deal with Iarno?
We snuck up on his room from a secret entrance, he heard the paladin but before he could even get a turn our warlock cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Tying him up and knocking him out afterwards was easy. Never even saw the familiar.
>>
>>52363389

These guys have some really fun moments. The first one is a bit rough because two players don't know what they are doing, but it rolls really quickly thereafter

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/adventure-zone
>>
>>52363460
no he's even better than Perkins imo
>>
>>52363389
What's wrong with Dawnforgedcast?
>>
>>52363466
The McElroy's are national fucking treasures.
>>
>>52363389
Heroes and Halfwits are okay but only because two of the dudes there have been playing D&D for years and they know how to play, and they mostly make snide remarks to each other about the idiots who don't know how to play.

Unfortunately there is the classic Screaming autism-lord and chaotic idiot warlock.

>>52363460
What fucking edition do they even play in? I was watching the first episode of Critical Role yesterday and I really could hardly tell.
>>
>>52362519
>Banning eldritch knight
Just let me bond with my weapon very intimidatingly.
>>
>>52363466
once they enter the moon it gets dumb
>>
>>52363443
The only fix sorcerer needs is that they need to get extra spells based upon their Sorcerous Origins.
>>
>>52363517
He's creepy-wholesome and comes off condescending rather than actually passionate about whatever he's trying to educate about or discuss.
>>
>>52363389
Try Aquisitions Inc's new C Team series
Also High Rollers Cam best girl, rip Trell
>>
>>52363528
The very first episode is terrible, if only because there's a ton of audio issues and they are switching over from Pathfinder to 5e rules. They did the switch because 5th came out recently at the time and thought it would work better on stream vs. Pathfinder's rules.

Which is mostly right; 5e's rules are - by in large - simpler and easier to convey on stream than Pathfinder's rules and the various floating numbers and stuff they have.
>>
>>52363528
>What fucking edition do they even play in? I was watching the first episode of Critical Role yesterday and I really could hardly tell.

I had to skip to episode 4 to even start really watching because of the shitty audio in the early episodes. They apparently got to level 8 or 9 in pathfinder and switched to 5e for critical role.
>>
File: tabard.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tabard.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>>52363537
Griffin definitely has his own style, it's not for the fantasy purist. But I think he's super creative and creates engaging scenarios and encounters and does clever things with the mechanics
>>
>>52363436
Sounds viable. I've seen people in these threads discuss similar tactics with bigby's hand (?) Just pushing people back into the wall.
>>
>>52363555
Nah, they should also just have sorcery points, not spell slots.

Customise all their magic.
>>
>>52363610
i guess
i dropped it several eps after they went to the moon
>>
>>52363567
Trell is best granny.
>>
>>52363528
>What fucking edition do they even play in?
They used to play Pathfinder before going live with their game. They then converted the campaign over to 5e, on account of it being simpler, faster, and the party was huge (8 people). It took them a while to get used to the 5e ruleset, so yeah, don't go in expecting usual rulings.
>>
>>52363614
yep i do that
bigby is my fav spell
>>
>>52363592
>>52363599
That sounds incredibly retarded. I was wondering why they were having trouble with Nagas, but had +10s to attack.

Is it worth watching still? I already don't like the guy with "le big gun :))))" but the rest of them seem okay.

Man say what you want but Pathfinder is fucking dogshit.
>>
>>52363618
I just find it weird that the person who has magic literally flowing through their veins knows fewer spells than the pretty boy/girl who sings a shit ton and magic just happens.

It makes sense that the Warlock doesn't have many spells, because they bartered a mysterious entity for their powers, and Wizard's whole schtick is them being a swiss army knife of spells.
>>
>>52363366
I had him run, but since the party had already made friends with the Nothic he got stopped. Since the party were disguised as Redbrands, the ensuing fight was a little chaotic, since nobody but the party knew who was on anyone's side.
>The familiar reads to make capture nigh impossible
Players that find it can enter through the secret door and take Iarno by surprise.
>>
>>52363614
What else would there be to do with a wall of thorns? But of course this relies on a Con save where I'm sure other methods would work better
>>
>>52363657
I started enjoying it around episode 4. I prefer high rollers to it though. Much easier to get into since they start brand new, and imo much funnier.
>>
>>52363659
A gifted piano virtuoso who can play amazing but is self-taught knows fewer songs than a mediocre piano teacher who has studied the greats and played his entire life.
>>
>>52362469

You do realize the whole point now is to be successful, because if the DM has to deal with assblasted players, that's a no-no
>>
>>52363657
The Gunslinger PC - and all of the others by in large - take a while to get good, mainly because for most of the first 20-ish episodes everyone's still struggling how to convey their PC's emotions and speech in a video format versus the "comfy home game."

Once the second arc begins (called 'the Briarwood arc') things pick up, and you see that Taliesin is one of the better roleplayers of the group at that point in time. I forget the actual episode number, but it's after the 'Trial of the Take' episodes that the Briarwood arc begins.

It's also the last episodes with Orion being with the group, which is to the betterment of the series.
>>
Anons? Just curious; what would you like to see come out in future Unearthed Arcana?

Also, this "www.planescape.com" thing - what's the current consensus on what it means? An "Enhanced Edition" Steam re-release of Planescape: Torment, or is 5e going to be the first edition to bring back Sigil as a campaign setting focus?
>>
+2 Int, +1 Wis OR +2 Int, +1 Cha OR +1 Int, +1 Wis, +1 Cha?

Not letting the Mind Flayer be good as a Warlock is indeed a sin but godfuckshit there's so many +int/+cha edgy races already and no +int/+wis race at all.
>>
>>52363727
We're pretty sure it's just a 'Enhanced Edition' re-release of Planescape: Torment.

Best case scenario is probably a book announcement of Planescape itself, or maybe a book announcement of Spelljammer.

I'd like to see future UAs look at importing over classes/PrCs from older editions as more archetypes, as this is probably how WotC can add more depth to the rules without too much work.
>>
>>52363744
>Mind Flayer
don't play a minflayer, that's stupid
>>
>>52363445
>>52363047
>psion players

Yeah, this is why I'll never allow mystics outside of bullshit oneshots. Die in fire faggot.
>>
>>52363772
Why would it be about Spelljammer? The two settings had nothing in common.

I mean, okay, you could have easily fused them together under the World Axis cosmology, using Sigil as a sort of "interdimensional starbase" from which flotillas of spelljammers travel throughout the multiverse when the basic portals just aren't the right tools to use (hauling major cargo, mostly), but even so...
>>
>>52363727
more chase scene tables
more mundane equipment
fixed wot4e monk and berserker barbarian
psionic archetypes for some classes
artificer v2 that fixes some of the more awkward bits of the class, pushes the mechanical servant into an archetype and makes it good
mystic v4 that isn't a broken fucker
>>
How would I go about creating a character based on that guy from Police Academy who does all the funny sounds and voices?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RaHB18ckM
>>
File: DM.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DM.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
So.

I have an idea for a campaign that is compelling me back to this miserable fucking system.

How okay is it to limit the campaign to just the core books? I want to avoid retarded munchkin builds that will break the game.

Also, how balanced is this system in general? I know magic-users are still OP af, but is there anything else I should know about?

Gonna be doing this campaign over roll20, so I have no idea what sort of players I'm going to get. Probably retarded teenagers.
>>
>>52363718
>Orion
I'm sorry but which one is this? What does he look like physically?
>>
>>52363808
Fair enough.
>>
Why do people like the Sorcerer's Heightened Spell metamagic? 3 points for something that may not be useful at all seems like a lot
>>
File: brom_zombie.jpg (297KB, 806x1000px) Image search: [Google]
brom_zombie.jpg
297KB, 806x1000px
What kind of adventures do necromancers get into, /tg/?
>>
>>52363727
>Anons? Just curious; what would you like to see come out in future Unearthed Arcana?
A well thought out and fleshed out crafting system would be lovely. One of these days I want to play in or run a game where it's 80% crafting, city stuff, politics, intrigue, rumors, etc and 20% combat.
>>
>>52363718

> 20-ish episodes

Why would anyone want to watch a TRPG lets play that takes -at least- an entire day to sit through, before it gets good?

I'd rather not watch a bunch of normie actors pretend to have fun playing D&D, thanks.
>>
>>52363897
Uhh... It's been a while since I watched the early episodes. He's the mostly bald headed player, usually wearing something like Hawaiian shirts a ton.

He plays the Dragonborn Sorcerer in the early episodes.
>>
>>52363727
more draconic options, more monstrous player options, a compelling crafting system, maybe some downtime mechanics that aren't both shit and retarded, who knows.
>>
>>52363966
They have a problem player, and get rid of him after 20 ep. You can still watch the first 20 but its not worth it.
>>
>>52363943
>need money for their experiments
>work a frogurt stand in Waterdeep
>get bullied by the evokers
>decide to adventure
>get money and lots of bodies to experiment on
or
>the eye of Grimgut gets stolen from the vault of the Watchful Order
>Neemon the Necromancer sets out with a group to recover it, but only because he wants to use its power to increase his own
or
>be a powerful conjurer
>waifu dies
>adventures while studying necromancy to bring her back
or
>be a good kid who dindu nuffin
>find the secret forbidden section of the library
>get seduced to the dark arts
>>
>>52363897
He is the junkie playing the dragonborn sorc.
>>
>>52363986
Oh, the one always cracking jokes and eating?

What's so bad about him? He seemed half-decent, put on a good voice when he talked in character at least.
>>
>>52364015
He belives its the Orion and friends show, every scene he has to be the hero. No one else shuld get cool moments, if someone else does its cause of him. That kind of guy
>>
>>52363890
>How okay is it to limit the campaign to just the core books? I want to avoid retarded munchkin builds that will break the game.
It's ok, but not enough, and not needed.
The retarded builds are few and far between, a 'do not do retarded builds' would work better.
Onion Druid is Core, Twilight Druid is worse and UA, Loremaster and Ambuscade Ranger are UA... but nothing else really broken springs to mind, maybe mixing smites and full casters?
even the Mystic is good, with a 'do not break the game' rule.
if anything, ban beastmaster and w4e monk for being too weak.
>Also, how balanced is this system in general? I know magic-users are still OP af, but is there anything else I should know about?
The system is pretty much ok and well balanced, but be generous with skill use, and accept any bullshit skill to solve non-combat situations, it's balanced around characters using their best stat+proficency.
Casters aren't a problem if you run the correct number of encounters (6-8, with 2 short rests in between). To make it work, we play with longer rests (night's sleep as a short rest, week in town as a long rest), but that's just a narrative tweak, do whatever works for your group, just keep that ratio.
>>
>>52363966
I mean, I watched it, they do have fun, and it was what got me into D&D. Granted when I watched the first episodes I had no knowledge of 5e rules whatsoever, so I wasn't concerned with that.
>>
>>52364031
He also fudges die rolls, what a dick. Did he think ppl would not notice?
>>
>>52364044
What is Onion Druid?
>>
>>52364066
Druid with onion powers like wario
>>
>>52364066
It's a moon druid using wild shape as ablative armor and tanking everything.
It's not that big an abuse, it's straightforward and follows the rules, but it breaks immersion, and is powerful while being boring.
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 700x883px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 700x883px
>>52364066
Moon Druid, but they wild shape after wild shaping to transform into their first shape after the second dies
>>
Does anyone use the Improved Initiative website? Is there a .JSON floating around with all the monsters? Not just OGL?
>>
>>52364124
>>52364115
But that is just normal moon druid? I have never seen anyone play any other kind of druid. They put up some concentration spell and go animalform.
>>
>>52362283
Why did they make a fucking book called The Yawning Portal, set it in the fucking tavern called The Yawning Portal, but not include Undermountain in the books.

Like what the fuck, the first thing my players will wanna do once they see a hole in the middle of a Tavern is go down into it.
>>
>>52364162
It's about stories heard in the yawning portal and they're all from other campaign settings
>>
>>52364162
you moms pussy is
fuck it nm
>>
>>52364159
Yes, but it's significantly more powerful than what other characters can do at the same level.
Then again, it's just defensive power, who cares if the PCs can't (reasonably) die, they aren't supposed to anyway.
>>
>>52363874
bard who focuses on illusion spells?
>>
>>52364187
Idk, sure its good at levels 1-5 but wildshape is all they get and its not really good again after. Polymorph beats it at doing the same things.
>>
>>52362283
How would you design a fun end game PC, /tg/?
>>
File: yeah.jpg (22KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
yeah.jpg
22KB, 512x512px
So how many campaigns are you guys participating in right now?

I'm in a weekend and weekday campaign with two completely different groups of people but both are on the same level of cool.

Also what's the most amount of campaigns you've been able to juggle in a week?
>>
What do you guys say to the PF fanboys that say 5e doesn't have enough variety in PC options? I personally find the five hundred archetypes spread across three dozen books to be incredibly frustrating.
>>
>>52364247
>How would you design a fun end game PC, /tg/?
Member of the planeswalkers guild with a specific quest.
>>
>>52364278
weekly irl campaign with friends
used to play some roll20 but it sucks
>>
>>52364278
I run two (Wednesday and Saturday) and play in two (Tuesday and Thursday).
>>
>>52364290
Use the aoutocharsheet
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/186823
>>
>>52364298
>>
>>52364221
Polymorph begins at level 7, and is a problematic spell by itself.
>>
File: Kraken.png (593KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
Kraken.png
593KB, 560x560px
The Monster Manual tokens from Roll20 have been added in the Mega (they're next to the Monster Manual in a big zip file).

Big thanks to Bob from the Discord for giving me access to them for ripping.
>>
Any tips for transporting minis. Some people I know use tool boxes, but I don't know. How do you do it /5eg/
>>
>>52364363
But it's a free polymorph as a bonus action (if moon Druid) what's not to like
>>
>>52364367
Fishing tackleboxes
Minis cases
>>
>>52364367
NO MINIS
>>
>>52364387
I'll try it. But what about the 5e flying minis. What do people do with them?
>>
>>52364411
Minis boxes
>>
>>52364424
Sorry for my confusion but like the boxes they came in or is it something else
>>
>>52364221
You can continue concentration in wild shape
>>
>>52363460
He's pretty damn good. My big issue is that my DM tries to mimic him so much that he fucks everything up, because he doesn't have to brains to realize how much work Mercer puts into his games.

My DM seems to think that he doesn't have to do the same.
>>
Would the spell Limited Wish have any place in 5e? If so, how would it be worded?
>>
I have a lot of experience with dnd but none with 5e. Which published module should I run for my group first?
>>
What would heavy armor for a druid look like/be made of? I'm thinking rocks like tied to wood planks on leather.
>>
>>52364802
Starter Set. It's a great little adventure, 1-5.
>>
>>52364802

Lost Mines of Phandelver, then onto the hardcover of your choice. If you just want rock hard dungeon delving, the new Tales from the Yawning Portal is good.

>>52364843

Depends on where they do their druiding. Stone plate, hardwood halfplate, mushroom armor, insect carapce... the sky's the limit.
>>
>>52364364

I love you both
>>
>>52364843
In 3.5 there was a spell that could make wood as hard as steel for 1 day/level

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm
>>
>>52364843
I made a magical seed that, when planted, would grow around a creature, creating a set of living plant armor that gave 16AC and temp HP, as long as it was fed with blood from the creature (you spent hit dice to grant temp HP).
>>
Where could i get bamboo in what sword coast?
>>
File: 1448699721263.jpg (28KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1448699721263.jpg
28KB, 307x462px
I play a Wizard, and our DM introduced a very smart spellcaster boss (an Aracoa or something).
The boss fixated on me, which I understand since it's smart, it can fly to avoid the melee types, and it's going after the biggest threat.

But once it dropped me to 0, it actually spent its next turn to attack me twice and fully kill me outright while I was unconscious at 0.

Our DM said it's because it fixates on the biggest threat until it's eliminated, and after me it fixated on the warlock (but died before killing him).

I think it's dumb, because once I dropped to 0 I was no longer a threat, and it wasted a full turn to kill an unconscious character instead of going after the next highest threat. If it had gotten one extra turn it would have probably dropped the warlock too, for example.

Is my DM right? Should "smart" monsters try to completely kill off characters even when they no longer pose a threat? Sounds dumb to me.
>>
File: 1490046522348.jpg (818KB, 1106x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1490046522348.jpg
818KB, 1106x1500px
Quick question about creating a higher level spell caster.

I am building a level 10 lore bard. How do I determine what levels his 'spells known' are? Do I just need to level him up from level 1 and pick and choose what he gets or can I just pick 14 spells and call it a day?
>>
>>52363890
What timezone are you in and do you run on saturdays?
>>
>>52364978

I generally find that kind of sort of power play in poor taste, the only time it might make sense is if the enemy is aware of healing at the PCs disposal that can lead to zombie tanking on the PCs part.
>>
I've just been given the go-ahead to play anything official in a new campaign (including UA content)

I'm suddenly at a loss for ideas on what to do.
>>
>>52364011
Uh, I think that guy was getting chemo. I'm pretty sure he's not a junkie, just a sperg on cancer meds.
>>
>>52363966
They're voice actors. They are normies but they're a lower level of normie compared to real actors.
>>
>>52365067
>taking drugs that slowly kill you
>can't stop or you'll die just the same
Sounds like a junkie to me
>>
>>52365026
Two years ago I played an archer battle-master fighter.
He was very strong. Far stronger than a ranger archer or the UA arcane archer.
The vast majority of maneuvers work with ranged weapons. Your attack is so high you can reliably use Sharpshooter's -5 att/+10 dmg every hit. You make a lot of hits every round.

Most people don't realize the maneuvers can be used with ranged weapons.

It was a cool character. But I now play a spellcaster and it's much cooler.
>>
>>52364978

Nah that's bullshit. Your DM had it out for you.

He either wants you out of the party, or playing something that isn't as broken as a wizard.
>>
Oil Baron here, for those who wanted to keep track of my awful DM's awful choices. In this week's adventures, we:

>Had a fight with about ten monsters with a vastly higher CR than we could deal with, and had to ask the DM to take them away, all because a couple of people asked if the encounters could be a little harder and she wanted to "prove a point" (the fight took two hours and we got 59xp for what we managed to kill)
>DM launched a long discussion querying whether it was possible to "blow a woman" because she wasn't sure, then complained she felt uncomfortable with all us guys being so dirty, then nearly kicked a guy out of the group in a massive hissy fit when he chuckled at her use of the phrase "the goblins grease you up"
>One guy got attacked by seven spiders because she misheard something he said, took it as an insult, and decided to throw danger at him (this happens often)

Was nearly hoping we did all die in the dumb fight, would have been a good way to grab all the players for my own campaign.
>>
OFFICIAL /5eg/ DISCORD POWER RANKINGS:
1. Homu
2. Rick
3. KA
9000. Lyn
9001. c0re
>>
>>52365026
Kobold mystic.
>>
>>52365116
>Was nearly hoping we did all die in the dumb fight, would have been a good way to grab all the players for my own campaign.

Sounds like you should do that regardless. I wouldn't waste my time with a shit DM if not for that.
>>
>>52365154
Yeah, I'm definitely setting up my own, I've got a lot planned for it already. But I really like the party, just not the DM. I'm holding out for the end so I can claim everyone for myself.
>>
>>52364978
Lets put it this way. Would you go out of your way to kill someone in DnD if they attacked you and went unconscious?

The answer is probably yes. So there you go.
>>
>>52365150
Was thinking about doing a mystic, and kobold was on the table

I'm just not sure how I'd flavor that combo, since mystic abilities aren't really a Kobold thing.
>>
>>52364979
level him from 1 it is probably better if you are going to spend a long time with him
>>
>>52365116

Can you link us to previous bad DM choices?
>>
File: 1408445053176.png (302KB, 522x390px) Image search: [Google]
1408445053176.png
302KB, 522x390px
>>52364978
Think of it in terms of actual situations with real people: police officers. They're not trained to kill like many try to claim, they're trained to shoot until the threat to their or someone else's life is eliminated. Continuing to shoot once a target is down crosses the line from self-defense into murder, so if the boss was CE, I could see an argument that he'd outright kill you based on that. However, you also mentioned that he's supposed to be 'super smart' and like you pointed out there's a good argument to be made that its tactically advantageous to let a downed player lie while you change targets.

At the end of the day the DM was being a bit of a dick, but we can't really argue with how he decided to create that character. Personally I would err on your side simply for the fact that getting your character killed when you didn't fuck up sucks and is no fun.
>>
>>52365122
Official /5eg/ power rankings
1. Most of /5eg/
9000. A potato
9001. People who use the discord channel
>>
>>52365067
Lol i searched his name and cancer and all i get is people saying he is cancer
>>
>>52365287
It's been a while since I watched any of it, but I distinctly remember him having cancer. But yes, he was cancerous too. I liked the character he made but not the player.
>>
>>52363557
This is that smug prick to a tee. Avoid him at all costs. He tried to bully several rpg-oriented youtubers off of YouTube through false accounts, people got suspicious, he got caught and blamed his brother, he got caught again and then tried to wipe traces of what he was doing. He had that awkward interview with Matt Mercer, only with him saying stuff and Matt agreeing because it wasn't actually a live interview but clips of Matt. It was also creepy.
He gets assblasted with Critical Role and Dice, Camera, Action, saying that's not how you should run a game and only he knows how to run a game.

Continue avoiding him if you can help it.
>>
>>52363389
Dice Camera Action actually isn't that bad. And the fact they have to condense it into almost 2 hours.
>>
>>52364978
>Should "smart" monsters try to completely kill off characters even when they no longer pose a threat? Sounds dumb to me.
You aren't alone in this. I also think that it is dumb.
>>
>>52365203
Yes. But if they had friends that were still attacking, I would also knock out their friends before finishing them all off.
>>
>>52365252
I'm on my phone so it's hard to find anything, but https://boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/52012466/#q52016378 has the last post i did about it.

Major things:
>Didn't like a guy choosing to burn down a forest so told him he couldn't cast the spell, then when he argued she said "a dragon swoops out of the sky and eats you whole"
>I tried to persuade a magic mirror to betray its master and then spent the next two hours being captured, tortured, and ultimately killed with no rolls and no options to get out of it
>She trapped us in a cave with a portal out that separated the party, and the monk walked into a neothelid (at level 4) and got killed in one hit
>She put a load of will o wisps in front of one guy (20 of them) and had them all attack at once
>She made the value of a barrel of oil 8000gp because I wanted explosives and she didn't want me to have them

The list goes on.
>>
>>52365456
>female DMs
Not even once
>>
Why is the Durnan in Tales such a cynical dick? Unless he got replaced by a doppelganger and isn't his previous NG self.
>>
The mega file is missing a lot of stuff. Most of it, actually.
>>
File: Degradation of a hobby.jpg (827KB, 2404x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Degradation of a hobby.jpg
827KB, 2404x1260px
>>52365495
>>
>>52365572
>The mega file
Huh?
>>
Phantom Steed
3rd-level illusion (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 hour

A Large quasi-real, horse-like creature appears on the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range. You decide the creature's appearance, but it is equipped with a saddle, bit, and bridle. Any of the equipment created by the spell vanishes in a puff of smoke if it is carried more than 10 feet away from the steed.

For the duration, you or a creature you choose can ride the steed. The creature uses the statistics for a riding horse, except it has a speed of 100 feet and can travel 10 miles in an hour, or 13 miles at a fast pace. When the spell ends, the steed gradually fades, giving the rider 1 minute to dismount. The spell ends if you use an action to dismiss it or if the steed takes any damage.

Question is, could you summon a horse and start summoning the next one while riding the previous one to allow you to get a new one just as the old one starts to vanish?
This would eliminate the need to stop for ten minutes every hour.
>>
>>52365584
Hi Virt, They still haven't figured out how to keep your cancer out of /tg/ permanently yet?
>>
>>52365584
If people seriously believe this, they have serious issues.
>>
File: 1489285667863.jpg (73KB, 675x804px) Image search: [Google]
1489285667863.jpg
73KB, 675x804px
>>52363996
Thanks anon, these are pretty good hooks.
>>
>>52365584
This is as true as it always was.
>>
>>52365584
Translation : I'm afraid of new people and don't know how to communicate with women. It's ok, anon, if you aren't terrible, you can learn how to express yourself to people and also how not to be creepy.
>>
File: il_570xN.1200268785_6a6j.jpg (72KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1200268785_6a6j.jpg
72KB, 570x570px
>>52365652
Who's Virt?
>>
>>52365718
It's a problem with communication, it's that most of them don't give a shit about the game and draw in people who are just thirsty niggas and also don't give a shit about the game. If they're normal human beings who aren't attention whores, the game goes fine.
>>
>>52365718
Translation: I've never started something and seen it get fucked up, I've only ever joined in when things got popular and watered down.
>>
>>52365618
The folders are empty.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UST7J
>>
>>52365725
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeTAzGS_0VSIbHh8i5fhKxQ

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=virtualoptim

http://virtualoptim.tumblr.com/
>>
>>52365744
Stupid /r9k/ poster.
>>
>>52362283
What are some cool fighter multiclass combos?
>>
>>52365761
>on mobile
That explains it.

Desktop shows all the files just fine.
>>
>>52365780
Not an argument, /pol/fag.
>>
>Adaptive Body
>While focused on this discipline, you don’t need to eat, breathe, or sleep.
Do you still need to drink?
>>
>>52365740
If you don't hang around shitty people, this doesn't happen. You're making a generalization about a group of players, it isn't true.
>>52365744
I've been running games for over ten years, anon, ran my college's gaming club for three of those years. In that time, it stopped being a room of pussy repellant and started being a vibrant, fun club. The fake gamer/nerd girl is a tired old meme. I made a lot of friends, and met a lot of cool women through Magic, Tabletop and Board Games. I'm marrying one of those people in November, she plays and amazing druid. I've been running my homebrew campaign for three seperate groups of people 2:1 woman to man ratio, all games have been stable. :)
>>
>>52365800
Is there even a reason to suspect that guy is a /pol/fag?

If anything saying "not an argument" stinks of /pol/ to me.
>>
>>52365796
Ok. I'll try when I get off work. Thanks.
>>
>>52365816
Yes, for magical realms.
>>
>>52364144
>Does anyone use the Improved Initiative website? Is there a .JSON floating around with all the monsters? Not just OGL?

I've put a few monsters in and set up some better settings. IDK if the dev of improved initiative is using a standardized template for how those are handled though
>>
Do the volo's guide maps come separate and if so, where would they be in the mega? I'm doing goblinoids and the hobgobbo warcamp works great for what I need.
>>
>>52365882
You can get them from the Roll20 version but no one has shared them. The anon who shared the original tokens didn't know he had access to the maps so he didn't share.
>>
>>52365882
Go buy it.
>>
>>52365830
It's the classic
>everyone I don't like or agree with is /pol/
>>
>>52364978
I don't think so. DnD is about making a story, and it's a game and meant for fun. DnD is not the DM vs the players, it's everyone working together to create an enjoyable story experience.
>>
Don't know about the CR's and monsters but this thing is beautiful. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-g9vLTX0eHKWDZHZ05QWkVNZVU/view
>>
>>52364978
I did something similar to this recently. Party was attacked by a group of cultists and two of them died due to a ranger shooting them while they were down. I felt really bad for it, but they didn't care. They said that due to the deaths they now had a good reason to get revenge on the cult
>>
>>52365718
t. you're a woman
>>
>>52366126
How did the ranger shoot his own party when they were down?
>>
So I may seem retarded asking this, but if you multiclass do you choose a subtype for that second class?
>>
>>52366209
yes, but only at the appropriate level
>>
What's some good music for a feast and then for a human sacrifice ritual?
>>
>>52366239

Sea Shanty 2
>>
>>52366147
Nice try, I'm a man! I just learned earlier in life that communicating with people like adults, and understanding that fake gamers are a myth. Seriously, the worst players are the ones that actually take this mentality seriously, since those tend to be the ones everybody ELSE complains about. The philosophy we carried for our club continues to bring in new peeps at my alma mater. I've introduced DnD to married couples, older folks, they've even gone off to run shit on their own like Dread. I wish people would really drop that myth so they can start meeting rad people already.
>>
What's your stance on miniatures /5eg/
>>
>>52366298
They're cool.
>>
>>52366298

Love em, use them whenever I can.
>>
>>52366298
I wish I could paint them. I'm fucking terrible at it but seeing some to the rad paint jobs online make me wish I could spend more time doing it.
>>
>>52366365
Personally I collect the prepainted and have 1 unpainted set aside for the day I grow a pair and buy paints
>>
File: Capture.jpg (154KB, 919x769px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
154KB, 919x769px
>>52366285
Quick question, how much effect does "gamer time" have on the start of your sessions?
>>
File: Untitled.png (761KB, 804x513px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
761KB, 804x513px
Taking over DMing for a buddy of mine, never DM'd for 6 people at level 7. Its definitely above the power curve im used to.

What are some baseline encounters that would be challenging for parties of this size and strength? Just so I can get an idea of what pushes them to their limits.

I tend not to like Kobold and shit as they tend to make the encounters too easy, basing it off the DMG balancing rules.
>>
>>52366147
And you're a wizard.
>>
>>52362396
Are you retarded?
>>
>>52366166
it was a cultist ranger. Although I should add that they didn't just get shot to death but also both failed their death saving throws
>>
Does anyone here have experience with Sunless Citadel? It seems like a fun adventure but I've only DM'd twice so I'm having trouble telling how dangerous some of these enemies are. Could a party of 2-3 handle it? I've heard people call the first part of LMoP a deathtrap but I've had 2 PCs demolish it, so I'm not sure.
>>
Okay so for the knight archetype for fighter, it has implacable mark which goes as follows

At 3rd level, you excel at foiling attacks and
protecting your allies by menacing your foes.
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, the target is marked by you until the end
of your next turn. A creature ignores this effect if the creature can’t be frightened.
The marked target has disadvantage on any
attack roll against a creature other than you or
someone else who marked it. If a target marked by you is within 5 feet of you on its turn and it moves at least 1 foot or makes an attack that suffers disadvantage from this feature, you can make one melee weapon
attack against it using your reaction. This attack
roll has advantage, and if it hits, the attack’s
weapon deals extra damage to the target equal
to your fighter level. You can make this special attack even if you have already expended your reaction this round, but not if you have already used your reaction this turn. You can make this attack three times, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

Does that mean you mark every creature you hit?
>>
>>52366621
Yep, it's a pretty good ability for Skirmish-y characters actually. Take Mobile and maybe be a Goblin or multiclass Rogue, then you can hit everyone and hide so they always have Disadvantage.
>>
>>52362283
hey /tg/. Give me a build that just does ass-loads of damage. My party will be cool with, especially because everyone else is a wizard/thief/ranger
>>
>>52366298
I think they're cool but I prefer theatre of the mind (plus I play over discord so I can't really use minis).
>>
>>52366472
Nah, just not that familiar with the system and experimenting.
>>
>>52366680
Nuclear Druid. Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X. Take magic missile, apply twilight druid's Harvest Scythe feature to every missile and do absurd, guaranteed damage twice a day.
>>
>>52366680
Paladin 2/ Warlock X, if you DM allows the flavor murder that is.
>>
Everyone knows that any given player is either a dwarffag or an elffag. Which side of the great divide does /5eg/ fall on?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12608046
>>
normal Evocation Wizard can do 8.5 damage per dart of magic missile.

It might not be nuclear druid level of damage, but it still hurt.
>>
What's good about Tales? Seems like Wizards wanted to cram as much nostalgia into a product as possible.
>>
>>52366680
Paladin 2/Sorcerer X with pole arm + sentineal and Green-Flame Blade
>>
>>52366985
Fuck both of them
;)
>>
>>52366817
What about Paladin of the Ancients/Archfey Warlock?

It's not really that fluff murdery.
>>
>>52362283
Give me a fighter that's actually strong.
Pro tip: you can't
>>
>>52367035
And 8 charisma

>>52366989
Didn't they clarify that you can only apply the bonus once per spell or something?

>>52367060
(you)
>>
>try hard to avoid DMPC's and taking spotlight from players in any way
>they constantly want to bring along an Elf Druid NPC they met as a means of extra healing

It feels weird, is it alright to sort of just have her on the back line, tossing a heal to the occasional down party member or so? They want her to tag along, but I also want them to be the ones driving the combat, you know?
>>
The martial UAs should get to multiclass, the caster UAs shouldn't, except for sorc and warlock.
>>
>>52367060
Any fighter of eight level who put points into strength.
>>
>>52367079
That's more or less how you should do it. If needed, portray her as specializing in healing magic - it's not realistic for a PC, but nobody said NPCs use the same class rules.

Either way, you're already aware of the pitfalls, so you're on the right track. Remember - henchmen used to be an inherent part of the game. They're not automatically bad.

Enjoy the challenge!
>>
>>52367093
>not a fighter of six level
>>
>>52367079
Have the druid remind them that someone needs to watch their camp/horses while they're dungeon delving. Have them volunteer to do said task.

If they allow this, have them come out of a dungeon to find the druid burying some goblin raiders they repelled, to make them think they've made a good decision.
>>
>>52367076
They also clarify that magic missile is one damage roll, apply to every target. Even on the same target

Just like how every target of fireball take the same 8d6+5 damage.
>>
>>52367120
>not using the additional fighter ASIs for feats
>>
>>52363460
Nah dude, this guy's as good as it gets imo.
>>52364701
Is your DM a newbie? If he's just green then it'll get better with time. If he's just lazy then yeah, tell him to get his shit together.
>>
>>52363657
Percy's character has been buffed and nerfed so many times. He goes from being overpowered to borderline useless at times as they work out the kinks. They find a good balance eventually though.

If you don't like his character though, you'll love every misfire where he basically blows himself up.

Ignore people who hate on Critical Role because of its popularity. It's worth it to watch for Sam and Travis alone. Sam, in particular, is a fucking god. Suffer through Tiberius' autism. He leaves around episode 30.
>>
>>52366817
that's not flavor murder. it's pretty easy to make it work fluff wise. i've done it before.
>>52367035
why PAM when you can't benefit from the bonus action attack if you're using SCAG cantrips?
>>52367060
a level 6 fighter with ASIs in STR
>>
>>52367060
The capstone is kinda boring, but Fighter is a solid class.
>>
>>52367060
LFQW has always been a huge problem in most RPGs. I wish it could be fixed, but then the wizards would bitch that they are underpowered compared to the jock.
>>
>>52367079
I always have an NPC with the party (because tfw 3 players only), but they are always a bit crazy so talking to them goes like this:

>Hey X NPC, what you think we should do?
>Well, if you ask me we need to run strait in the dragon's mouth
>But we would be dead before we got there
>What better way do die?
>>
>>52367079
I always try to think of my DMPCs as a player, and give them their own motivations and failings. If they drag them along, they better be prepared for them to be a klepto, obsessed with revenge, a racist, etc. It's not to punish them, but to discourage just viewing them as extra meat to bolster a party.
>>
Building a fighter, knight archetype, got to level 4 and I feel like multiclassing into something else, what should I take?
>>
>>52367149
>Suffer through Tiberius' autism. He leaves around episode 30.
At least TIberius is entertaining. Keyleth is just such a horrible character, and her player is even worse. Always trying to be a Mary Sue, complaining when things don't go her way. If she wasnt fucking the DM she would have been voted out by now.
>>
>>52367124
But not, like, too many goblins, so they're not tempted to ask her to fight.

>>52367226
I understand the motivation, but you should never treat an NPC like a PC. The realy PCs should always be more center-stage.
It's obviously okay to give the NPC a personality, but there's no reason to make them obnoxious on purpose.
>>
I finally played this today and it was pretty fun.
A friend asked me to play the starter edition with her and her sisters and I ended up DMing as despite never having played I knew a little about RPGs as apposed to them knowing none.
The session involved an inept wolf that spent 5 turns failing to bite the cleric, goblins doing somersaults, more javelins than I thought possible and a Dwarf that borfed.
Thanks lads for motivating me to actually join them for it
>>
>>52367262
That's what I meant, I don't try to make them obnoxious or give them limelight. But I do try to give them a personality like I would any major story NPC.
>>
>>52367280
>having fun
>in current year

Jokes aside, I'm glad you had fun with it. Tabletop RPGs are a great hobby.
>>
>>52367079
And why are these NPCs risking their life over such things?
>>
>>52367230
depends on what you wanna do. if you're not in heavy armor, barbarian is a solid option for the rage. if for some reason you wanna be a stun monkey and have 13 WIS, monk can be pretty fun. cleric is an option too if you want spellcasting and the war domain in general is pretty solid for fighter.
>>
>>52366298
Good for difficult/complicated encounters, pain in the ass for filler.
>>
>>52367317
Long story short: they helped protect of a specific forest she dwells in and she feels she owes a favor for them.
>>
>>52367090
I actually agree with this.
>>
What spell should I choose for the new favored soul sorcerer?

Having a bigger spell list but the same spell known just give me more option paralysis...

Also if multiclass UA is possible.. is it worth a one level dip in Undying Light Warlock for +CHA to sacred flame and guiding bolt?
>>
>>52367251
>At least TIberius is entertaining
Tiberius has one decent moment
>I encourage violence
Everything after is metagaming, shitty attitude, fudging dice rolls, and basic 'That Guy' behavior. There was nothing endearing about Tiberius beyond the Trial of the Take.
>>
>>52367280
Sounds like my first session, same campaign. My group had their cart raided by goblins, but they chased one to their lair and promptly got murdered by running in unprepared.
>>
>>52367384
Tiberius >Keyleth
>>
>>52367320
I have heavy armor, and I have the mounted combatant feat. I can grab war caster if I wanted to and still be able to be a spell caster so im thinking that would be fun. Don't know what spellcaster would be good for heavy armor other then cleric though. Thinking of maybe finding a way to do druid and have heavy wood armor.
>>
I am trying to find qesnef stats in TotYP and I dont find them. Do I have to homebrew him in a fight? It is such a shame since he is actually one of my favorite characters in this modules.
>>
>>52367418
>>52367384
I stopped trying to count the number of times I saw Tiberius roll before declaring his action. The guy's a fucking joke.
>>
>>52367384
Tiberius is the only one who actually tried to do research to learn what they were facing. He was the only one who tried to prep.

Compare that to Grog in the early stages who was kind of a shit. Grog matured into a more well rounded character, and you can tell Travis is sometimes frustrated by the low int score.

Keyleth is just a fucking idiot, trying to backstab a green dragon during a negotiation.
>>
>>52367444
Module says he's just an oni.
>>
if i'm playing a game set in the forgotten realms can i play as a shield dwarf using the hill dwarf stats or is that no good?
>>
>>52367452
I don't buy the cheating thing.
>>
>>52367459
Fuck. Thats a shame but whatever. He is my favorite oni I guess
>>
>>52366619

All adventures are designed for 4 players. If your players are just level 1 then you should dial it back a bit.
>>
>>52367346
Oh, well, no reason she might not come along to help just the once. But I doubt they'll spend every single session with the players.
>>
>>52367429
>Don't know what spellcaster would be good for heavy armor
any of them really if you have the stats to multiclass. as long as you're proficient in the armor, you have no penalties for spellcasting in it.

going paladin for find steed could be pretty useful. i can't think of any other ways to easily get a mount outside of RP. besides that i can't really think of a whole lot that would be exceptionally powerful to multiclass into. keep in mind if you multiclass now, you're delaying your extra attack. it might be worth two more levels of fighter for the extra attack and the ASI
>>
>>52367469
>not wanting to play the superior dwarven race
>>
>>52367494
The fudging dice rolls is suspected but not proven, but he did have a high propensity of higher tier rolls outside of nat 1's that even he started to not call out.

He did metagame a ton though, and straight up avoided an entire boss fight because he wanted to keep his character alive and thought that them fighting a Beholder at their level (9-10) was going to be a TPK.
>>
>>52367585
He's pretty wealthy and already has a well armored horse and a couple others in stables ( Persuaded a ranch owner to gambling away like 10 horses and then won)
>>
Do we already know what is the next book about?
>>
>>52367649
are you saying that about mountain dwarves or gold dwarves
>>
Hey anons, why do we only have the Beholder lair map from Volo's? I was looking for the hag lair, but couldn't find it.
>>
There is some tank chart with the best classes/equipments for tanking and their respective AC?
>>
>>52367469
No one at your table, including the DM, knows the lore difference between Mountain and Hill Dwarves to begin with, let alone the difference between Shield and Gold in Forgotten Realms, nor do they know or care about which 5E PHB subrace corresponds to which FR subrace.

So do whatever the fuck you want, son.
>>
>>52363389
Matt colville on youtube has a great series of videos.
>>
>>52367818
>Full plate and Shield
>Ancients Paladin
>Eldritch Knight Fighter (or Battlemaster)
>Meme Mystic abusing disciplines
>>
>>52367888
>No one at your table, including the DM, knows the lore difference between Mountain and Hill Dwarves to begin with
One lives on mountains, the other loves on hills. Not rocket magic.
>>
File: dar.png (275KB, 375x405px) Image search: [Google]
dar.png
275KB, 375x405px
>>52367458
>Grog

He's genuinely my favorite part of every single session.

I actually really like Darrington
>>
>>52367919
Incorrect. They both live largely below ground in the hills. Neither is a mountainous subrace, for Dwarves themselves are not mountain-dwellers. You will not find them in caves among frosty peaks. The closest they get to begin "in the mountains" is tunneling straight into them from the side from a long ways off.
>>
question to the person who uploaded the monster manual tokens do we also have the full art?
>>
>>52367948
Well that is some A class retarded naming conventions then.
>>
>>52368032
This is what happens when you let Humans write the books.
>Half-Elves
>not Half-Humans
>>
>>52368013
There's some art connected to the individual handouts but ripping them would take even longer and their resolution isn't that great. You can find good copies of most of the art if you do some searching.
>>
>>52367710
Gold dwarves of course
>>
>>52363403
That red head is a tranny right? Thighs as thick as an ogres
>>
File: IMG_0805.jpg (724KB, 2706x1646px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0805.jpg
724KB, 2706x1646px
Just completed my miniature transport system. Let's see yours /5eg/
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
>>52368208
a plastic bag until i finish my box
>>
>>52368225
I tried that and broke a few. Superglue is my god
>>
File: Skype_2017-03-25_20-01-50.png (32KB, 850x518px) Image search: [Google]
Skype_2017-03-25_20-01-50.png
32KB, 850x518px
/5EG/ I NEED YOUR HELP

My DM is running a very high powered, level 20 one-shot campaign. Min-maxing is encouraged, and all supplemental and UA content is allowed. My stat spread, before any racial bonuses OR ASIs, is 20, 17, 15, 14, 13, 10

What's the most absurd, broken shit I can make for this?
>>
>>52364278
none
end me
>>
>set it in Yawning Portal
>nothing about whats in the portal

y tho
>>
File: IMG_0806.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0806.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Best part is that it all fits cleanly into a bag for transportation
>>
>>52368089
i want to play a gruff orc-hating alcoholic not a jew caricature, sorry
>>
>>52368032
It's a misunderstanding of Dwarven.

The "mountain dwarves" call themselves "malthen dwar" (meaning true-beautiful dwarves, or pure dwarves.

The "hill dwarves" are actually "hurm dwar" (human dwarves. i.e. dwarves who've been softened by human society)

Common has corrupted these terms, linking them with mountain and hill, thanks to natural dwarven associations; while only the speakers of dwarven will realise the original meaning behind the names.
>>
>>52368254
Do you start with any magical items and gold?
>>
>>52368325
-then is "earthen", not beautiful. And the closest to "mal" is "mar", which means golden.
"Beauty" is iff, "pure" is on/ona.
smb manling
>>
>>52368254
How experienced is he as a DM? If he doesnt make the encounter too OP whatever beast is he preparing is going to die quickly
>>
>>52364278
My group is rotating between 2 campaigns, one run by me. One of the other guys sometimes runs games in a third, more crazy scenario.
We still only meet once a week though so we basically make slow progress (although we play for about five or six hours, which isn't bad at all). It's fun though - with all the cliffhangers, there's always something to look forward to.
>>
>>52368363
I was doing it based on an old dragon magazine article on dwarven. I dunno if it's still accurate.
>>
>>52368351
He said we can choose almost any non-artifact magic weapon from the DMG. We just need to pass it by him first (so no Staff of the Magi and such)

>>52368381
He has several years of experience as a DM. I believe he can come up with something relatively challenging if he's setting the power level this high.
>>
>>52368297

Maybe the next book is going to be undermountain. This AL season is only 3 months long so there's probably another big book drop coming soon.
>>
>>52368406
How many magical items?
>>
>>52367906

Forgetting Moon Druid and Totem Barbarian? Shame on you.
>>
>>52367700
Forgotten Realms campaign about the Ring of Winter and its owner.
>>
>>52368427
One of our choice and one of the DM's
>>
>>52368406
Staff of Magi is legendary though.

Well anyway go with Paladin and make saves for days
>>
>>52368445
Source?
>>
>>52367187
sup Matt Colville. I like your channel.
>>
>>52367818

Well if you have the stats for it (a headband of intellect helps), the rage singer can get pretty beefy.
>>
>>52368495
Only artifacts are off the table, so legendary items could potentially be good if he approves it.

Also, I should add that the rest of the party is a (probably Vengeance) Paladin, an Open Hand Monk, and a Bard, but doubling up is ok
>>
>>52368512
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/799801288242262016
>>
>>52368254
Nuclear Druid
>>
File: disgust.jpg (32KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
32KB, 620x400px
>>52364982

Your desperation for a game is the kind of pitiful horseshit I expect from /tg/.

I work on Saturdays, it'd have to be Sundays or Mondays.
>>
>>52368558
Chris has also said Tiamat's stats in RoT represent her full deific might, welp that's disappointing.
>>
>>52368705
I know it's really hard for you but stop being a piece of shit.
>>
>>52364124
>>52364044
> He doesn't hit moon druid with Disintegration
>>
Anyone ever played a game with Cthulhu mythos as part of the lore? Maybe even directly interacting with him or his creations.
>>
>>52363890
>>52363890
> Core only
Is fine but you should ban Beastmaster and Way of the 4 elements. They are too weak but they are popular for some reason.
>>
>>52364290
i'm always confused by this. There's plenty of options to choose from. Between back ground and archetypes you can easily spit out a few hundred character ideas. If you add in the fact that skills between to people who have the exact same class and back ground and archetype can be different then it probably numbers in the thousands. Thats all before we get to bonds and ideals and shit, which you are always allowed to just make your own. I always get this feeling that they just aren't creative and need to be spoonfed what character ideas are there.
>>
is there any way to quickly port 5e into a sci-fi setting, or would I be best off just leaving it essentially the same and adding in a different money system and new items?
>>
>>52367494
Matt calls him out for not paying attention to spell slots several times even out the gate.
What he tried to do in the beholder fight is tell everyone to get out of its lair to stop its lair actions.

He hunted out a Psuedodragon familiar specifically for the free magic resist.
>>
>>52366989
Honestly letting the Evoker do an average 25.5 damage with no save against one target's good. Evokers have a tough time of it anyway and that gives them something to do with any spellslot that will help at any level.
>>
>>52368737
Interesting that she's not like she is as a deity then.
>>
>>52364290
learn to refluff. Longsword is katana. There doesn't have to be a mechanical difference for every little thing.

Same goes for class. Class are just chassis for character concept.
>>
>>52368775
>>52364044

Thanks homies. The honest advice is appreciated.
>>
What's the best one-level dip for a level 19 UA Lore Wizard?
>>
>>52368901
Cleric for heavy armor and shield
>>
>>52368927
I have a Robe of the Archmagi, so I can't wear armor
>>
Is making a Nature Theurge going to even be broken? Nature Clerics are pretty weak so I can't see anything going wrong.

Also I want to play a character with Arcane, Divine and Nature magic.
>>
What do you guys think of allowing a Warlock to use a 1 handed weapon as their Cursebringer? Is hexblade good as is? I can't really tell.
>>
>>52368935
Wearing armor only prevent that first benefit
>>
>>52368771
Anyone?
>>
>>52368965
>>52368935
>>52368927
If you have Robe of the Archmagi there's no point in any other armour. 15+Dex should be plenty

Just get to 20th Wizard for extra 7th slot and two 3rd spells from Signature
>>
>>52368979
I used great old ones, but only ones I created. Mostly so that if PC's get to godly level I can give em challenges none the less, also a good excuse for the gods to ignore material world since they gotta fight the invasion.
>>
>>52368885
What? Please reword.
>>
Sunless Citadel introduces spell scrolls of lower level spells cast at higher slots, for example 2nd level cure wounds

intredasting
>>
>>52368885
What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>52369111
Tiamat as a goddess is lawful evil.
Tiamat as a monster is chaotic evil.
>>
>>52368771
Generally I'm not a fan of just bolting on the mythos. I'd prefer to use the in setting horrors, such as the Aboleth's Elder Evils.
>>
>>52362283
Does anyone have more by this artist? Google failed me.
>>
>>52365623
Nothing about long casting times prevents your movement or awareness, all it does is take up your action concentrating on casting
>>
>>52362283
Anyone have a list of NPCs with CRs? Looking for CR 8 caster as an antagonist.
>>
>>52363466
Can confirm, the Adventure Zone is pretty great.
"Maybe keep your shit to yourself, unless you are a FUCKING MANNEQUIN."
>>
>>52369454
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html
>>
>>52369517
ta anon
>>
Can someone explain to me the Adventure League?

Is it just a bunch of people playing DnD like normal? But with the same characters from DM to DM?
>>
>>52369601

It has a set of national rules you have to follow for DM'ing and things like character creation, and allows for trading of magic items between players/characters. For the most part, yes, it's main advantage is being able to take your character form one store to the other, or to play at conventions.
>>
>>52369454
Just checked the MM and Volos.

NPCs by CR

0 Commoner
1/8 Bandit, Cultist, Guard, Noble, Tribal Warrior
1/4 Acolyte, Apprentice Wizard
1/2 Scout, Thug
1 Spy
2 Bandit Bard, Captain, Berserker, Cult Fanatic, Druid, Priest
3 Archer, Illusionist, Knight, Martial Arts Adept, Master Thief, Swashbuckler, Veteran
4 Warlock of the Archfey
5 Kraken Priest, Transmuter,
6 Conjurer, Mage, Warlock of the Great Old One
5 Enchanter, Gladiator
7 Warlock of the Fiend
8 Assassin, Blackguard, Diviner
9 Abjurer, Champion, Evoker, Necromancer, War Priest
12 Archdruid, Archmage, Warlord

Looks like you'll be wanting a Diviner.
>>
>>52369362
Which is completely nonseniscal since she's meant to be based out of Avernus, the First Hell and Chris calls her out as a deity here: https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/844726037204238336
>>
>>52369687
Exactly.
>>
>>52362597
Straight monk with a reskinned quarterstaff or spear
>>
>>52369719
Not him, but did you just btfo your own point?
>>
I'm a Dexterity Ranger and thinking of dipping 2 levels in fighter for action surge and the fact I'm more martial. I was just wondering what's a good choice for a second Fighting Style to go with dueling. I was thinking either Archery so I can mix it up or Mariner for climb, swim and +1 AC.
>>
>>52362283
My first character was a TN Dragon Sorc that managed to intimidate people and stop them from attacking us.
My second was an NG Wizard that wound up running around trying to keep people from getting killed horribly.
>>
>>52369923
> mariner
How much athletic do you have? You know you still have to make appropriate check right?
>>
>>52363446
Trickery Cleric works well enough, even if the "secret plot race" thing is a bit campy.
>>
>>52370055
+5. Also you only need to make a check if it's something the DM decides is "a slippery vertical surface or one with few handholds". A skilled Ranger who specifically has the ability to climb would be able to realistically climb a tree, cliff, buildling or wall with of hand holds with little effort
>>
>>52370154
> realistically
Dragon and Giant aren't realistic, they ignore square-cube law. Either stick to the game system or don't.
>>
We page 10 now
>>
>>52370174
>all or nothing
>having fun wrong
shhhhhh, go to sleep sweetie
>>
Party at the moment is a Pally (me), Cleric of Light, Shadow Monk/OOA warlock and Evoc Wizard. I have asked to retire my pally to play a High Elf Nomad. The DM knows I played a psion in 4ed. Will I be screwing the party by switching?
>>
>>52370174
"While climbing or swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain). unless a creature has a climbing or swimming speed. At the DM's option, climbing a slippery vertical surface or one with few handholds requires a successful Strength (Athletics) check."

RAW the game never requires a check unless the DM decides. It's not climbing requires a check unless your DM says it's easy, it's people can climb but the DM might say it requires a check.
>>
>>52370207
DM is allowing me to buy my equipment so of course he is rocking a long bow, some daggers and short sword.
>>
Someone make a new thread so I dont fuck it up because
>phoneposting
>>
>>52370207
>>52370228
Considering that any Psion can do basically anything, the only way you could possibly be screwing your party is by being WAY stronger than them.
>>
>>52370294
Not choosing to specialise according to your chosen order.
>>
I think megaanon is a cool guy
>>
new bread when?

>>52370325
he is the coolest guy. I would suck his dick.
>>
>>52370316
Even doing that won't necessarily screw you or your party, depending on which disciplines you pick, especially for Nomad given that it's abilities are pretty much purely movement focused, which can work with literally anything.
Crown of Disgust on it's own is enough to break encounters, even before World of Horror.
>>
>>52370207
Yeah, its basically suicide to play without a pally.

>>52370294
Mystics are HILARIOUSLY overrated. This is one of the dumbest RPG memes I've seen in awhile. There is nothing a Mystic can do that can even remotely approach having a Paladin in your party.
>>
How would you play dex-based paladin?
>>
>>52370348
If you want a paladin to be a big defensive wall, mystic can do that better. If you want something to do big nova damage, mystic can do that just as well, and for longer. If you want something to act like a shitty caster, mystic can do better by out-performing actual casters in some areas, while being just a bit below par in all others.
>>
>>52370364
If you are playing an oath of the ancient, then you would be the one bartender patron who is a fucking god with darts and decides that they are good enough with them to fight with em
>>
>>52370374
I find this truly hilarious.

>nova damage

How clueless can someone fucking be as to the point of a paladin? There is nothing a mystic can do that can compare to having a paladin in the party -- ever.
>>
>>52370386
Since you're so adamant, please explain what a Paladin can do that a Mystic can't. There is literally not a single thing I can think of that a Paladin can do that a Mystic can't do just as well if not better.
>>
>>52370382
The fastest dart thrower in the west will always be the best way to play a Fighter. Nothing like action surging and using sharpshooter to kill 4 Goblins in 6 seconds.
>>
>>52370348
>Mystics are HILARIOUSLY overrated. This is one of the dumbest RPG memes I've seen in awhile. There is nothing a Mystic can do that can even remotely approach having a Paladin in your party.
Nomad anon here I agree with you
>>
>>52370406
> implying you can throw that many darts with object interaction cock blocking you

Unless you are a mystic...
>>
File: 2360997-serpico9tu.jpg (68KB, 322x596px) Image search: [Google]
2360997-serpico9tu.jpg
68KB, 322x596px
>>52370364
Nothing's stopping you from using a Rapier anon
>>
>>52370406
How do you plan to draw all of those darts? The vanilla rules on drawing weapons is ridiculously detrimental to thrown weapon users with more than one attack.
>>
File: 1427269434613.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1427269434613.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>52370426
>>52370426
>>52370426
>>
>>52370400
>>52370386
Probably +CHA to saving throw, I guess? But Mystic do get Mantle of Joy.
>>
>>52370441
Easy-access bandoliers ought to circumvent that with any sensible DM
>>
>>52370427
>>52370441
>Implying everyone's DM is a no fun kinda guy

It's a strictly worse option so every DM I've ever played with handwaves it and just calls thrown weapons ranged weapon and lets you draw as many as you can attack with.
>>
>>52362892
Your DM sounds like he's doing a great job of it.

But yes, that's how it is meant to be played.
>>
>>52370400
>There is literally not a single thing I can think of that a Paladin can do that a Mystic can't do just as well if not better.

Uh, how about granting +Cha to saves for the party? How about immunity to fear and charm? How about adding in a concentration keyword buff above and beyond that? As a class that, you know, does things, the Mystic is good. As a "the Mystic can replace anyone else!" meme, its a hilarious failure. No Silence, no Spike Growth (that I could tell anyway), no Heat Metal, and most importantly, nothing even remotely on par with a Paladin.

At the very best, he has a few tricks that compare with the Cleric.

You are amusing me, so please, PLEASE, keep trying. This level of delusion is making my penis engorged.
>>
>>52370461
>It's a strictly worse option so every DM I've ever played with handwaves it and just calls thrown weapons ranged weapon and lets you draw as many as you can attack with.
Huh? So daggers, handaxes, javelins, and various others are ranged weapons? That means it counts as an improvised weapon and I can only do 1d4 damage with them. Why does that make the situation better? Also you're not allowed to draw any more ranged weapons than you are melee weapons so it doesn't even change the original problem.
>>
>>52370454
Mantle of Joy definitely does not compare to a Paladin at all.
>>
>>52370515
They count as ranged for the Archery Fighting style, Sharpshooter and you can draw as many as you like. It's a simple fix.
>>
Anyone want to help me come up with a backstory for my character, an orc rogue who thinks he's sneaky, but is not?
>>
>>52370639
He was raised by his indulgent grandma who always pretended not to notice him when he stole orc-cookies from the counter. Thus he has always believed he is the sneakiest orc around and has never been proven otherwise... yet
>>
>>52370639
Go ask in the New thread this one is dead very soon.
Thread posts: 423
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.