[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: "Halfling rogue" edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 358
Thread images: 50

File: 1314752715836.jpg (131KB, 640x1445px) Image search: [Google]
1314752715836.jpg
131KB, 640x1445px
>New UA: Mystic
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mystic-class

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52264094

Let's think about the upcoming arcana.
>>
hi
>>
>>52270493
>that picture
>"halfling rogue"
Are you sure that's a halfling? I thought they had hairier feet than that.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12550821

Remember, this is a multiple option poll.

The options in those poll were gathered from the most highly voted options from other polls.
>>
>>52270493
>Dagger on display
>Still clearly holding pouch
>Mke-up?
>Looks like a hooker
>No, this is a hooker
>This was never a rogue in the first place
>Midget fetish
>Probably actually a boy
>Dreadlocks
>Her face looks like a different colour to the rest of her body
>What the heck is up with the way her neck is bent? Is this Shaft?
>How did holes even get into all those places on their clothes
>What's with those knee-only bits anyway
>How is she affording BLUE clothing? Dark blue clothing, with even some purple in there. That's fancy shit. Then blue-ish make-up?
>Wait, why would you even try to make your face look more tanned? You should make it look more white.
>This is what fantasy artists actually don't believe.
>>
>>52270613

>>Probably actually a boy

...go on...
>>
File: Halflings_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg (68KB, 400x331px) Image search: [Google]
Halflings_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg
68KB, 400x331px
>>52270581
D&D halflings don't have hobbit feet. Pathfinder halflings do.
>>
>>52270628
I mean, if they weren't a girl, they'd have to steal things instead of doing prostitution. If they're a girl, they can just go for prostitution and lay low.
But, no. They're doing both. So they're probably a thief AND a cross-dresser prostitute.
>>
File: Halfling Thief.jpg (160KB, 747x748px) Image search: [Google]
Halfling Thief.jpg
160KB, 747x748px
Got this from the thread sometime ago. It's heavily edited from the original. Always thought it was the perfect halfling thief running from the cops.
>>
File: Warlord.png (1011KB, 1018x542px) Image search: [Google]
Warlord.png
1011KB, 1018x542px
HNNNNNNNNNG
I'M CUUUUMINNNNGGGGG
>>
>>52270652
Excellent.

I was thinking LotR, not Pathfinder, but excellent.
>>
>>52270493
I can't tell if she's robbing him or she's a hooker who just got paid
>>
>>52270676
its shit
>>
>>52270676
As if.
>>
>>52270676
Two fucking fighting styles at first level? Healing at second level? What the fuck is this?
>>
>>52270676
>previous editions
Didn't know one edition counted as several
>>
>>52270676
This is clearly a shoop
I know this from the pixels and having seen many shoops in my time.

Also
>That level 20 ability
>>
>>52270719
3.5 had a warlord it just wasn't very good.
>>
>>52270676
>/tg/ screeched like autists so hard that they made a warlord to appease them
autism spoke and they listened
why
>>
Team of noobs is looking for a DM to guide us through a short adventure. Where do we go?

Not from USA, btw
>>
>>52270817
Well they listened to all the screeching autists during the playtest, why not us too?
>>
>>52270829
>tfw barbarians could've given the entire party rage
>tfw barbarians used to be able to cast while raging
>>
>>52270837
>>52270676
That's actually in today's UA. Warlords can grant party members temporary rage, or sneak attack, or maneuvers. It's nuts.
>>
File: DontConfuseHal.jpg (97KB, 598x478px) Image search: [Google]
DontConfuseHal.jpg
97KB, 598x478px
>>52270860
>>
>>52270837
>Be artificer
>Infuse magic into everything
>Cast from objects instead of casting while raging
>>
LINK TO WARLORD
>>
>>52270925
it's fake
>>
>>52270916
Once tried that, my DM said I couldn't because "barbarians are already broken enough"
>>
I admit, I'm a little pissed that some of the warlord's abilities are literal spells. Sure Heroism and Mind Blank fit, but can't they have just put a note of "as per Heroism, but it is not otherwise a magical effect?"

Destroys the whole fucking point.
>>
>>52270925
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/warlord
>>
>>52270956
Thanks anon :D
>>
>>52270925
The UA article post is a joke, but they were talking about it last night. It's coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
>>
>>52270951
Yeah, I guess that's something to say in the survey though. I prefer the warlord to be entirely martial.
>>
>>52270956
Actually fuckin sweet, thanks.
>>
File: 1489809071561.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1489809071561.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>52270956
>>
Kind of gay that they still have no use for intelligence but whatever.
>>
>>52270951
Chill. Literally zero campaigns are going to make it to level 10 to use it, dude.
>>
File: E X C I T E.gif (475KB, 237x185px) Image search: [Google]
E X C I T E.gif
475KB, 237x185px
>>52270956
>>
>>52270991
You see this shit?
They are like a reverse monk.
Half their attributes are just for decoration!
>>52270956
>>
this is appropriate i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KxuAWZwiA
>>
>>52271005
Not true at all. Level 7, 1/short rest you can grant any allies within 60 feet a bonus to their attack rolls equal to your Intelligence modifier for 1 minute.
Their saves are Int and Con, you could legitimately build this with no weapons whatsoever
>>
>>52270676
Fake news. It's not on the site.
>>
Hi guys, new player here. I'm going to be part of a forever dm's campaign, like dude has been playing since the 80s, and i was looking for some advice. Just general advice and i guess some character creation advice. I was thinking id do a warlock
>>
>>52270925
>>52270956
>>52270974

Threadly reminder that Mearls considers the warlord issue CLOSED with the publishing of the Purple Dragon Knight.
>>
>>52271001
This is one my of my favorite memes

My players are at 9 and hardly half way through the story. Depending on what they do and how long they drag things out it might pass into boon territory.
>>
>>52271064
Reminder that (((Mike Mearls))) is a hack
>>
>>52271075
Wow your non level 10 campaign sure has disproved my hypothesis that you won't make it to level 10.. wow... damn.. I am now #TenMissile
>>
>>52271064
Good thing Crawford didn't so he snuck it in as Mystic options
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (762KB, 762x2368px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
762KB, 762x2368px
Anyone else autistically plan out their character days in advance and spend hours pouring over options and put it all in a doc file/pdf for using during the game?
>>
>>52271142
Is Crawford, dare I say it, /ourguy/?
>>
File: skeleton gangrape cyoa.jpg (664KB, 1200x3250px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton gangrape cyoa.jpg
664KB, 1200x3250px
>>52271165
yep. Just finished doing that for my Wizard. But the campaign i'm using him in isn't for 4 months. I have a problem with making new characters, that's why i'm in CYOA threads so much
>>
File: GetALoadOfThisGuySailors.jpg (45KB, 471x361px) Image search: [Google]
GetALoadOfThisGuySailors.jpg
45KB, 471x361px
>>52271165
>Not planning your character advancement up to lvl 20
>Not typing in every feature into the character sheet pdf manually
>Not doing this for every character in every campaign
>Not theorycrafting full sheets just for fun
You are small time
>>
>>52271182
I don't know, but I have a lot more respect for them in any case.

He's also never wrong about the rules unlike Mearls. Probably helps that anything he says becomes rules.
>>
>>52271182
...eh. He's still a serious stickler and most of the time Mearls' rulings lean towards the player agency/creativity or fun sides. Still, it's a good thing he saw it fit to put in those mechanics while Mearls was rendered to fetal position muttering "B-but I gave you martial healing..." when people screeched for Warlord.
>>
>>52270821
You DM
>>
>>52271247
That would be a trainwreck and an awful experience for all of us
>>
>>52271211
Same

>>52271211
I have a separate doc for each level from 3-20 with a spellbook prepared copied and pasted from the PHB, that one is just the first one
>>
>>52271321
Run Lost Mines of Phandelver over three or four times, then run it. Boom, you're done.
>>
Do we have an official ruling on the Mighty Leap ability Mystics have yet and whether it causes the jump to happen or just increases your jump distance while not actually letting you jump 120 feet?
>>
>>52271340
*read it over
>>
File: 946.jpg (48KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
946.jpg
48KB, 700x520px
3 Immortal Mystic/17 Long Death Monk

y/n?
>>
File: 1486668861989.gif (407KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486668861989.gif
407KB, 250x250px
>>52271105
>Implication is campaign will reach and exceed 10
>Immediate reaction is to meme harder
>>
>>52270693
Good.
You autists deserve it.
Just play a fucking battlemaster.
>>
>>52271044
>ask your DM about stats - roll, point buy, array?
>check for the level of combat optimization, stay at the same level of the rest of the group
>if your group is 100% stealth-capable, don't be the clumsy guy in heavy armor. Same, to a lesser degree, goes for social and investigative skills.
>>
>>52271352
You cant multiclass with mystic
>>
How many second chances are too many for That Guy? We've got a that guy that plays a fairly well put together and well role played character, but he has a penchant for character killing, and tries to manipulate events to make it happen whenever possible. After three rerolled characters and a ressurection, we're starting to contemplate kicking him.
>>
>>52271001
The reason I find people don't go to that level is not because people aren't trying to play to that level, but most campaigns flop on the first couple of levels before then. They all want to go to those high levels, but they fail to start off.

And then people say 'Oh, you'll never reach those levels'. Pff.

Either the campaign sucks, you run out of time / drop in or drop out or you go all the way.
>>
>>52271387
>
>>
>>52271340
Guess that's what I'll have to do
>>
Why do people theorycraft high level builds when no one has even had a character higher than 5th level in real life?
>>
File: 1489280253769.jpg (61KB, 605x454px) Image search: [Google]
1489280253769.jpg
61KB, 605x454px
>>52271429
watch live play vids on youtube for ideas

>>52271440
autism
>>
>>52271393
Have you or the party confronted him about it? If not try that if he still insist then kick him.
>>
>>52271423
>Either the campaign sucks, you run out of time / drop in or drop out or you go all the way.
>Either you're in 90% of all games, or you're in the 10%
>>
>>52271440
It's fun, and campaigns do go on to high levels (IRL, among friends - online or with random pick-ups, not so much)
>>
File: weapon.png (135KB, 244x277px) Image search: [Google]
weapon.png
135KB, 244x277px
No, but seriously, why isn't this weapon in the books
>>
File: 1489383608043.gif (1MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1489383608043.gif
1MB, 300x168px
I've played Phandelver so many times on Roll20 that I resort to joining random games and acting the fool.

I always try to steal the loot, I once tried to pocket a little valuable statue in the cave near the beginning and even though my character got in the little treasure area first and alone and rolled huge of Sleight of Hand, the DM was like "naw" and kicked me out, didn't even have rocks fall on me, just kicked me out of the game. Joining the bugbear and ratting out the team is fun too.

Welp thanks for reading this.
>>
>>52271476
Axe
>>
>>52271476
It's an axe silly
>>
>>52271476
Because its horribly designed rule of kewl like that one dagger?

Treat as an improvised weapon.
>>
>>52271492
>center of force would be so far down on that weapon, but its location isn't even bladed
>closest space to the center of force is basically a flat blade
>most effective cutting surface (the center of the blade's curve) is so high that you can only land it while making glancing blows
>giant hammerhead on the opposite end is obviously too large to be a counterweight
This is clearly some kind of one-handed hamglaive.
>>
>>52271525
And I say one-handed despite him two-handing it because it's clear he's just a /5eg/ poster who bought the "shields are bad" meme
>>
>>52271460
If 90% of games only last three sessions and 10% of games last thirty sessions, you actually spend more time in the 10%.
>>
>>52271440
It's not THAT bad, but for real, I've never seen a 5e campaign go higher than level 13. And it's not just because of the difficulties of people's changing schedules. My current players went from level 1 to 13, finished a major story arc, then asked to start again at level 3 because they were all bored of their characters.
>>
Do Dorfs in your games use standard Dorf weapons like Hammers, Axes, Picks, Crossbows etc or do they use Human/Elf friendly weapons like arming swords, spears, bows?

If they use Dorftastic weapons do they use comically oversized double bladed axes or hammers that looks like sledgehammers or do they use weapons that are closer to the real world equivalents?

If Dorfs use Dorfy weapons how do they cope with standard human warfare? How do they handle mass pike formations? Or Halberdiers? Or massed archers? Or heavy knights using lances on horseback? Do they just put on even heavier armor and trudge slowly towards the opponent allowing light cavalry units to endlessly pepper them with arrows?

Do your Dorfs have arcane spell-casters or do they just spam some sort of divine anti-magic shields to avoid shit like fireballs and lightning bolts?

In short how do you avoid Dorfs from being so stereotypically Dorf that they would actually be useless in most conflicts?
>>
>>52271694
In my campaign dorfs and elves are swapped in culture. Dorfs are the nature friendly ones, by not like, leaf nature, more like earth nature, so they still live in mountain homes but they're completely in harmony with the mountains natural forces. Elves, on the other hand, use massive arcane siege weapons and are short tempered bastards. Generally trope swapping helps make something interesting.
>>
>>52271712
>le old reddit switchamaroo xD
>>
>>52271733
Well what are your dwarves like then
>>
File: shanoa2.jpg (256KB, 873x1580px) Image search: [Google]
shanoa2.jpg
256KB, 873x1580px
Right, I'm back. And as promised, this is how Curse of Strahd basically went off the rails.

Note that this was about a year ago - It was a pretty long campaign. See, the thing is, I've never really been totally sold on Ireena in-game. She's a decent plot-hook, but she's also a huge point of vulnerability, all things considered: Basically, the players can either choose to take her along (not optimal, she's underleveled, and the GM has to focus on running what's basically a DMPC) or leave her alone, in which case Strahd will definently get his hands on her. Sort of a lose-lose situation, if you get what I mean.

Also, it's a little weird that the 'best' outcome to her plot is that she meets the ghost of her past lover and...just sort of drops dead. I mean, I guess it's great that they're reunited and all, but I can't help but think it's kind of a booby prize.

Another issue with Curse of Strahd is that the players, by themselves, aren't directly tied into the plot. They can have peripheral motivations, but they're not really part of the grand good vs. evil conflict that's the heart of the module, though they're doing all the legwork. When I was running the module, I wanted the PCs to have direct motivations, to sort of be swept up in the grand struggle and so on.

I was running the game with a four-person party: Male half-elf Rogue, male human Cleric, female Paladin and female human Wizard. You may say it's a little flat, but this was mainly because I wanted to make sure I had a firm grip on things, and to avoid the more outre character types who'd be severely out of place in Ravenloft.

Note that this isn't a tale of a really dramatic failure. It's more of a story of a campaign going in an unexpected direction, and me struggling to keep up. (Fortunately, my players gave me a lot of leeway.)

(more)
>>
>>52270493
That is 110% a hooker.
>>
>>52271694
For me bulk is standard set up for, but they do have access to magic and utilize it. They have adapted due to being part of a larger empire consisting of all races but their strengths are on being the walking tanks. They've learned to shore up their weaknesses with magic and having specialized units to help assist the main force, but they still lack behind others and it's the reason they are part of the empire instead of an independent kingdom.
>>
>>52271447
That's what I've been doing for 2 weeks now
>>
>>52271044
Don't forget that warlock isn't really a spell caster, just a ranged guy who might sometimes cast a spell
>>
>>52271753
Jews.
Actually they're a bunch of xenophobic cowardly assholes.
>>
>>52271694
Of course dorfs are gonna generally be useless at war, they prefer subterranean existence. Note how dorf 'warriors' usually use tools, not weaponry -- for example, they use non-battle axes (double bladed ones, or single bladed ones without the armor piercing spike), non-war hammers (just big fucking blunt heads, again not aimed at penetrating armor), etc. Dwarves are not big at all in terms of fighting, though they improvise when needed.
>>
>>52271789
Another option is post on Roll20 no guarantee of finding someone but it's worth a shot.
>>
>>52271757

There's a lot of great material here, but here was my big conceit: The female Paladin (Paladiness?) was jinxed. People who got close to her unaccountably died, and she owns a big, Gothic manor somewhere that is destined to go up in flames with her inside. So she's doing the sensible thing and staying the hell away from it, to prolong the inevitable. Also, she's actually the REAL reincarnation of Tatyana. Ireena is a red herring, targeted because Strahd has a thing for women who look like his lost love. The Paladiness is the genuine article.

So everyone's an outsider who gets sucked into Barovia when the mists came up. I ran the introductionary adventure, Death House, and the party nearly got wiped when they refused to sacrifice anything. Fortunately, they made it out alive but not in one piece.

After that, I did what a lot of DMs do - Strahd invited the PCs to the castle for dinner. This was a genuine invitation, because at this point the players aren't really a threat; it gives them a chance to see the place they'll spend many sessions invading before the final battle. The PCs were notably creeped out by the castle, because it started to reflect their past sins. The only one who wasn't disturbed was the Paladiness, who actually felt a sense of familiarity with the place, recalling the time she'd spent here. This lead to the tensest dinner ever, with the PCs wondering if they were about to be slaughtered at the table. (Most of the PCs were fairly new and coming off from the video-game mentality - they didn't get there was an alternate solution to puzzles until later.)

The Paladiness eventually discovers the portrait of Tatyana, and recalled being there when it was drawn. This is actually a surprise to Strahd, because the women are notably different: Tatyana was a young woman, and a peasant girl. The Paladiness is older, of noble blood, and tends towards black humor. Which ironically means that she's more of Strahd's 'type', but there you go.

(more)
>>
>>52271855

Which is why the desire to somehow turn them into front-line melee types is so counter-productive. The warlock is pretty much 100% geared around being hyper-mobile ranged skirmisher and bladelocks take away almost all of the key advantages and don't really cover up the flaws.
>>
>>52271899
I always liked the idea of the bladelock because I like to play around with the idea of someone unarmed/unarmored calling forth some magic and suddenly being equipped for front line. Now I've got a Soul Knife with Mastery of Force to make me happy.
>>
>>52271694
As others said, dorfs qualities in a war are that they can draft troops much more easily and that they use heavily defended positions such as in mountains or in passageways that only smaller creatures can get through, or that have siege weapons set up around them.

Dorfs suck at offense, but they hide where nobody would even want to find them.
>>
>>52271897

So the party (who received safe passage to and out of the castle) leaves, and immediately after that the game is ON. Strahd shifts his focus away from Ireena and towards the Paladiness, but the PCs don't actually realize this until later. This doesn't actually change the story much - the PCs still go through the same dungeons, with just a bit more foreshadowing: For instance, the fortune-teller specifically mentions that the Paladiness is in the *greatest* danger, because the shadow of the past looms over her. Strahd's 'brides' specifically target her first, out of sheer jealousy, to their own tactical detriment.

Here's the problem: the Paladiness begins to reciprocate. They actually hit it off pretty well during the dinner, and there's this whole 'friendly-enemy' thing going on between the party and Strahd, where both sides know they're trying to kill each other but are taking it in stride. This is a problem, because the players are supposed to feel threatened and hunted by a malevolent force that's taking them apart, and it's hard when the primary PC isn't feeling as 'in danger' as the others.

I'll add that OOC, the player told me that in spite of having her memories returned and so on, her PC is not a carbon copy of the original woman. She's basically more ambivalent about the whole thing.

Eventually, the party came up with a plan where the Paladiness used herself to distract Strahd, while everyone else took the chance to sneak in. No, it wasn't an ERP session, but there was a *lot* of flirting, with the girl basically playing coy and doing the whole 'will she/won't she' thing. Again, that's an issue, because - like in the difference between the novel of Dracula and the movie adaptation - it leads to be a very different perspective of the character.

(more)
>>
>Everyone eagerly waiting for UA
>They post a podcast that nobody listens to or cares about
Stop playing with my feelings, Wizards.
>>
>>52272012
Oh, right, and I guess another thing is that they're all industrious and have great access to metal and such, so they all tend to be much better armoured than anyone else.

In the most extreme of cases, every single troop would have at least splint mail levels of armour or better.
>>
>>52272034

I'll say that at this point, I wasn't quite sure where this was going. Neither was the PC, because she definently did not want to be a vampire - i.e. to succumb and / or betray the party - but she wasn't all-in with destroying Strahd. I don't think she actually hoped to be able to redeem him, she was just enjoying the dynamic. It's all pretty muddled, but fortunately the PC party made enough of a commotion for her to escape and rejoin the group.

The PCs eventually met Sergei's ghost, and the Paladiness very gently let him down, with the same 'Yes, I'm Tatyana's reincarnation, but I'm also *a different woman*.' He was disappointed, but he ultimately respected her decision. (DM breathing a big sign of relief here, because the campaign is back on track.)

The rest is more-or-less by-the-numbers: they thoroughly plumbed the castle, the Cleric doing sterling work in keeping everyone alive, and eventually they destroyed Strahd. (They missed the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, but found the Sunsword. I'm not sure how they managed that, maybe I was too obtuse with clues.)

When they finally destroyed Strahd, the Paladiness admitted that yes, in this life she *did* love him. Maybe in the next one, it'd work out. After a year-long campaign, I was more-or-less tuckered out too, and the PCs decided to retire the characters. They eventually went their separate ways, but the Paladiness decided to stay to rule justly and well from the castle.

I mean, Strahd's supposed to come back, but I basically didn't mention that because it'd have been a sour note.

(more)
>>
File: knight flail.jpg (267KB, 1226x1920px) Image search: [Google]
knight flail.jpg
267KB, 1226x1920px
>>52272082

Okay, that was a lot to unpack. But basically, you can see the errors I made as a GM here: Don't make a single PC the focus of a campaign, because you can cause a plot tumor that overwhelms everyone else's personal story. Fortunately my players were good sports about it.

More, it's also an issue when the big decision means that the PC becomes effectively unplayable / betrays the rest of the party. Like, it's more or less a binary decision here.

I managed to muddle through, but I was lucky. And that's my final take on things.
>>
>>52271899
Fighter 1 / Warlock X covers up the flaws.
>>
>>52272082

That actually sounds great.
>>
How does this sound so far? I'm going with +1 wis because apparently there's no +int +wis race already.

>Illithid Traits >Your Illithid character has the following racial traits.
>Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
>Age. Newly hatched Illithid tadpoles ceremorphose out of mature humanoids in about a week, and live not much past their first century and a couple decades.
>Alignment. As hive-mind communal creatures with particularly violent reproductive cycles and dietary requirements, most Illithid have a strict sense for hierarchy and no empathy for most humanoid races, most being Lawful Evil. Individuality, empathy, if only an alien kind of it, and respect can be found on renegade Illithids who value and trust powerful creatures seen as equals; these sense of self puts them on the Chaotic Neutral spectrum.
>Size. Illithids are tall and consumed humanoids, measuring 6 feet on average and weighing much less than a normal human of that size. Your size is Medium.
>Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

(Cont.)
>>
>>52272111

>2017
>pushing multiclassing in 5e

Ugh, if a concept needs multiclassing to be viable it shouldn't be a concept
>>
>>52272130
and then,

>Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
OR
>Superior Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

>Telepathy. You can speak telepathically to any creature within 30 feet of you. The creature understands you only if the two of you share a language. You can speak telepathically in this way to one creature at a time.

>Magic Resistance. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
OR
>Lesser Magic Resistance. As an Illithid ventures far from its hive, their magic resistance weakens. You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.

AND/OR, depending on final powerlevel, i know it can't get everything.

>Mind Blast. You can use your action to emit a blast of psychic energy. Each creature in the area of the blast must make an Intelligence saving throw. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Intelligence modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 Psychic damage on a failed save. and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. After you use your Mind Blast, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

>Languages. You can “speak”, read, and write Common/Undercommon, you can speak Deep Speech, and read and write Qualith.
>>
>>52272138
>Literally hating fun
>>
don't play a mindflayer
that's dumb
>>
File: 1406499134442.jpg (157KB, 586x800px) Image search: [Google]
1406499134442.jpg
157KB, 586x800px
>>52272138
I'm sorry that the idea of an arcane caster doing some fighting man training to shore up their swording triggers your OCD.
>>
>>52272034

You let me down, I was hoping for smut.
>>
>>52272159
he's right
multiclassing is cancer
>>
>>52272186
:(
>>
File: dwarfkatana.jpg (100KB, 400x577px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfkatana.jpg
100KB, 400x577px
>>52271694
>>52271869
>>52272012
Let's get some shit straight. Swords suck ass. Their proliferance in fencing manuals is not a testament to their great utility or power, but the fact that they were seen as weapons of expense and status befitting the upper classes; you know, guys who would be buying fencing manuals and taking proper lessons. When it came down to the nitty-gritty of actual war, spears have killed more men than any other weapon, and remain the most effective thing you can bring to a fight, be it solo or in massed combat. And when heavily-armored knights wanted to beat the shit out of each other on the field, they had sidearms of the hammer and axe variety if they were smart; half-swording and mordhaus and all of that were scholarly techniques and attacks of last resort.

Further, for much of human history, the most-used style of sword has been one with more in common, physics-wise, than a sword. I'm talking your falx, your cutlasses (both ye olde, Napoleonic, and Civil War era'd), katanas, falcatas, and so on. These featured curved blades designed to concentrate the force of a swing in one spot and facilitate cutting action as it was raked across flesh. Thrusting swords, from the gladius, to rapiers and estocs, to longswords (yes, longswords) have a much shorter period of time in the sun and their primary usage is one that is already improved upon by the humble spear. In fact, the time we most associate with knights and longswords and all of that nonsense was dominated by Italian and German fencing theory which could be boiled down to: ALWAYS BE THRUSTING.
>>
>>52272155
Mind blast is horrendously boring. What, it's just an AoE damage and that's it? Yes, Dragonborn's breath was shit too.

I'd say lesser magic resistance like gnomes get. Fuck yuan-ti. Still, considering it's a +2 int race like gnomes are, you have to be a bit careful about overlap if you want them to exist side-by-side.

I'm not sure about darkvision, though you mistyped and did normal darkvision as 120ft.
Probably just 60ft darkvision unless you decide to add some negative effect to balance it, else we're getting too far into shitting-on-gnomes territory. Not that that was too hard to do in the first place.

Telepathy is fine. Size is fine. Speed is fine, etc etc.

Actually, maybe instead of telepathy, you could give access to two of whatever they called the cantrips the mystic gets. They can always pick up mind meld if they want telepathy. Or make it only one of the cantrip-like things and force them to have telepathy.
>>
>>52272108
Sounds like a neat campaign but you are right easily could have been way worse.
>>
>>52272243
i mistyped, yeah, normal darkvision of 60, superior of 120. they obv. get superior on the book but i felt like it was too much, they can be refluffed medium gnomes at this point and i wouldn't mind.

how about "innate psionics" and they get to pick one talent, given how mystics get way less talents than normal spellcasters get cantrips, two being too much.
>>
Ok so I am a new DM and did some stupid stuff.

1. I introduced le random fun potions.
Every player drank one. One had an evil doppelgänger mini encounters, one received a cursed ring that lets you speak to and trade with death, and one has a latent wish, that he doesn't know about.

2. My players basically grinded EXP in LMoP - by exploring deep in the wilderness and constantly fighting orcs and animals.

3. Since they are all level 6 I made venomfang and adult dragon. The party immediately attacked him after he tried to talk to the party.

It kicked their ass. Hard. They literally didn't even deal 1 to it because none of the characters have above 12 wisdom and we're frightened.

So the dragon "enslaved" them. Gave them a large emerald with a copper setting and when they agreed to serve the dragon it had green smoke fly out of the emerald and they inhaled it.

So. To my problem.

One character made his wish: "really wish we didn't run in and fight that dragon like that"

It's only been a few hours ingame. Should I let them kind of time travel and redo the encounter?
>>
File: dwarf3.png (605KB, 611x735px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf3.png
605KB, 611x735px
>>52272241
Another common misnomer is that Dwarves all live innaground deep in the mountains. Ain't true. Their settlements all reach the surface and it's there that they engage in most of their combat with ancestral foes like orc and goblinoids. They have surface farmland, surface trading and travel routes (both inter-dorf and with other races), surface mining and logging operations, and so on. 5E talks about "Hill" and "Mountain" Dwarves, but it's clear from the descriptions of the Dwarven subraces in the settings they're talking about (FR, Greyhawk, Dragonlance) that neither really lives solely underground.

Then we've got this notion that Dwarves aren't good at war or martially-inclined. Horseshit. They're the race that gets armor and weapon proficiencies out the wazoo, and unlike the Elves, it ain't because spinning around with swords are seen as some graceful artform like ballet that you pick up in the century of your Elven childhood. Dealing with spooky shit up in the mountains or crawling out of the earth is just a fact of life for Dwarves, so they actually get trained in methods of self-defense. Not just that, but their lives of mining and manual labor using hammers, picks, and axes prepares them well for using the weaponized versions of those. Talk about how the Dwarves are so few in number compared to Humans and therefore they must be shit at fighting ignores their pitiably low birthrate in most settings (explicitly pointed out in early FR, later rectified) and the fact that they're the ones who are always dealing with the really monstrous shit that lives in the ass-end of the world; the fact that Dwarves are up innamountains dying to crush orc invasions every few years means that the shitty human settlements further along can waste their time dealing with their own intra-racial wars and raising necromancers every few generations which wipe them out. Humans just fuck like rabbits so it doesn't hurt them as much.
>>
File: duel.jpg (381KB, 850x502px) Image search: [Google]
duel.jpg
381KB, 850x502px
How can I make duels more interesting? Last time I ran a duel, it was basically just two D20s being rolled at each other. It was tense, but not nearly as fun or interesting as group combat.

I think it's a rules problem. For example, most movies make their duels interesting by incorporating the environment, but AoO rules discourage moving around. You could disengage, but why forgo attacking and move somewhere slightly more advantageous when you could just, you know, attack? Especially if the bad guy is going to attack you on his turn anyway?

Any ideas for house rules to enhance one-on-one fighting? I was thinking of just ignoring AoO rules, as long as you move no more than 5 feet.
>>
>>52272276
Two is to give them telepathy as a thing, but I suppose it could be that they might not want telepathy and want their psychic powers to manifest in some other minor way.

You could even nerf the race a lot and give them some psychic powers to make up for it, but...

Then again, it seems with +int it's probably going to be 80% of the time a psychic anyway.
>>
>>52272130
>>52272155
>>52272276
What type of campaign are you gonna be playing in?
>>
>>52271423
Actually, my group tends to conclude our campaigns before going much past level 10. It's not that our games flop, but that our plotlines just tend to be paced that way. We also prefer the more "mortal" feeling of the first half of the level progression, before magic truly gets ridiculous.
>>
File: dodge.png (30KB, 976x268px) Image search: [Google]
dodge.png
30KB, 976x268px
Has anyone ever actually used the dodge action?
What's the point of it? Seems like a worse version of Disengage + Move.
>>
File: urgrosh.jpg (10KB, 156x415px) Image search: [Google]
urgrosh.jpg
10KB, 156x415px
>>52272288
A need to be useful both in crowded tunnels and mountain passes as well as open dwarven halls and valley fields is what led the Dwarves to develop the URGROSH. It's a giant two-handed axe with a spike on the end. When you've got room to get your swing on, you're just chopping foes through left and right. When it's time to close ranks and advance, you flip the bitch around and thrust through anything. Choke far enough up or down on the grip and you can use it with a shield in either mode; and if you really need to let 'er rip, you can employ both ends at once and start flinging the kebabed bodies of your foes at their pals before you decapitate them in turn. Flesh or plate, shields or no, the urgrosh and the Dwarven hardasses wielding them don't give a fuck.

I'm not even going to get into Dwarven metallurgy and how all their weapons and armor are the best, or their superior engineering. You human fucks should count your blessings that the Dwarves are more concerned with getting rich amongst themselves and honoring the ancestors while they deal with extraplanetary horrors instead of turning on your dumb asses and giving you something real to worry about instead of who succeeds who for the throne or what demonlord you should pledge your undying fealty to in exchange for power. Fucking worthless cucks.
>>
>>52272241
Are you seriously claiming the gladius was somehow obscure or useless?
>>
File: 1487274885609.gif (1MB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
1487274885609.gif
1MB, 200x254px
>>52272241
>>52272288
Solid advice for fleshing out dwarves
>>
>>52272361
>surrounded by four enemies
>disengage and move
>nothing stops them from walking up to me on their turns and hitting me
>or hitting someone else
Dodge means they aren't landing a blow on me, because I've got 21 AC, and at least one of them isn't walking away to harass my friends, because I'm gonna kneecap him with this warhammer if he tries to walk away.

But I also have Monk levels on my Fighter so I can Dodge as a bonus action and laugh all the way to the bank, both doing damage and never getting hit in the same turn.
>>
is it UA break week?
>>
>>52272297
What were the combatants? Because you aren't going to get much out of a featless Champion or a Barbarian that doesn't decide to fuck the other guy with grappling.
>>
>>52272361
Surrounded on all sides and needing to last the turn for back-up to arrive. Rare, but handy.
>>
>>52272361
I had a monster use it once, a player claimed I was making up rules on the fly...
>>
>>52272198
That mindset leads to 3.5-style bloat, where every possible concept have to have its own mechanical implementation. Which is far more cancerous.
>>
>>52272297
Switch to the Riddle of Steel for the duration of the duel.
Either make a conversion table, or let the players 'rebuild' their characters for tRoS, it's just more fun for what it's custom-made for:
one-on-one medieval violence.
>>
>>52272305
even if i never get to play this, i'd like something coherent enough that could work for others, at least on campaigns where playing a brain sucking squidman isn't instant death.

we are probably running something on forgotten realms, hence why this wouldn't really work at all.

>>52272304
maybe telepathy and one talent at lv1, and one 1/day stuff at a later level or just another talent at lv3 or 5?
>>
Cleric 1/Wizard X

How is it?
>>
>>52272464
Fantastic if you're a Life Cleric-solid armor, shields, and you don't need high WIS to get good healing.
>>
>>52272415
It was the duel against Cyanwrath from Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The player was level 1, but somehow miraculously survived and won thanks to some really lucky rolls. Like I said, it was tense but not particularly interesting, so I've been afraid to touch duels since then.

But now that you mention it, higher-level martials do have a lot more options. At what point do duels start getting good?
>>
>>52272241
>the most-used style of sword has been one with more in common, physics-wise, than a sword
with an axe than a sword* in case that wasn't obvious

>>52272388
No. I'm saying both the Romans and their contemporary allies and enemies favored spears over gladii or similar swords, and those swords they did use were more akin to long, curved blades that shared more physicality with the swinging and chopping axe than a stabby shortsword. These things were not only more like oversized daggers than a proper sword, but many gladii even featured blades with a leaf-like curvature that would give them axe-like slashing and chopping power in the event you weren't just shanking a bitch.

The amount of time that "thrusting swords" of any variety, be they a gladius or a longsword, were the best or most commonly-used sword in the most successful armies of the world, is still peanuts compared to all the time the most popular swords were curved ones.

Hell, even when we get to a point that spears are no longer used (the relatively modern era of guns, post pike-and-shot), the curved saber is the most common use of the sword, and the closest thing to a thrusting sword is the bayonet which just turns your fucking gun into a spear anyway.

The lesson is clear: if you want to thrust (and you should, because thrusting is GREAT), just use a spear. Slashing swords blow, axes are cool and useful against a wide variety of enemies (armored, shielded, not) and non-combat uses, and hammers are the same. The slashing sword is something that Humans get up to because they ascribe it some false sense of nobility, and Elves get up to because they're dainty faggots who care more about its use as an instrument of art than war, and no one cares what Elves think.
>>
>>52272361
Could be used if you're trying to buy time and body block, or don't want bad guys to get to hostages so you stand over them giving them a hostile target to hit instead.
>>
>>52272463
I think telepathy+talent+semimagicresistance is enough it itself, without throwing on another talent or 1/day thing. Unless something's removed.
>>
>>52272510
>the Romans and their contemporary allies and enemies favored spears over gladii or similar swords,
What? No you dumb fuck. The main spear the romans used was a javelin, their primary weapon was the Gladius and, more importantly, the Scuta. Pila weren't actually usable in melee.
>>
>>52272464
Should not be allowed.
>>
>>52272464
You delay spell access by one level but don't lose any spell slots, in return gain access to armor and shield proficiencies, Guidance, Bless, Healing Word. Pretty sweet deal.

Knowledge Domain fits in perfectly thematically and gives you proficiency and expertise in two INT skills.
>>
>>52272464
Seems a bit meta-gamey to me. I just feel like anyone doing this would always 100% just be doing it for mechanical reasons rather than for anything to roleplay with.
>>
>>52272537
>agreeing but phrasing it like you don't
For what purpose
>>
>>52272531
i can go with this, thanks for the input.
>>
>>52272288
>>52272241
>>52272510
Considering in 5e that polearms are the strongest weapons, I think it works out.
>>
>>52272463
That's the biggest hurdle, there is going to be a very rare to slim chance that the party won't be freaked out by you on sight and try to wipe you from existence. Unless it's done 100% perfect it'll force the people you're playing with to metagame by not trying to disembowel you.

Also Illithids are ment to be weird alien creatures who aren't the buddy buddy type with anyone because they want to enslave the world.
>>
File: josuke.png (77KB, 180x176px) Image search: [Google]
josuke.png
77KB, 180x176px
>>52272555
I'm mainly asking because I am going back to play a character I haven't played since 3.5. He was a low level Cleric and after the campaign he was in, he went off to study different kinds of magics abroad.

DM is letting me respec and I thought this made the most sense, rather than going 100% Wizard.
>>
>>52272572
I guess that seems fine. Have you seen the Arcana cleric from SCAG? Sounds like that would be highly appropriate.
>>
File: 1306031727233.jpg (61KB, 742x612px) Image search: [Google]
1306031727233.jpg
61KB, 742x612px
>>52272507
3rd level minimum, but 5th is when Extra Attack and more interesting spell and class options start coming online, along with the first ASI. This is also around the time PCs will be able to comfortably outfit themselves with extra weapons and whatnot.
>>
>>52272537
The javelin and pilum are spears. Not all pila had tips designed to crumple and bend. You're also ignoring that hasta (actual stabby-spears) were more popular than pila for a time just as long as spicula (pila with more emphasis on stabby) were more popular than pila; hasta also never really went away and were in the hands of the guys who actually stayed and fought, while the gladii+pila skirmishers were chuckin' and dodgin'.
>>
>>52272572
He has a point >>52272555
But the easiest way to make it not just a mechanical choice is start wizard and get a level in cleric because you're character is really devout in his faith or something like that.
>>
>>52272600
Wasn't even aware Clerics had an Arcana domain. I'll check into it.

Have options now, I suppose.
>>
>>52272241

Swords are REALLY good when you're a noble who wants to carry his weapon around but also wants to win duels but also wants to wear stylish clothing the whole time.

I'll take a smallsword + buckler/dagger/cloak/beer stein against any other weapon you could reasonably wear on your belt, as long as we're fighting unarmored in the city square with respectable observers.
>>
>>52272433
That's PF-style bloat. 3.5 doesn't actively discourage multiclassing to the extent PF does. In 3.5, it's just a sin to multiclass out of a full caster.
>>
>>52272640
>3.5 doesn't actively discourage multiclassing

I'll take "Multiclass XP Penalties" for 500, Alex
>>
>>52272198
If I like my players, I explain to them how multiclassing makes them weaker over the course of a campaign that will cover many levels.

If I don't like them, I let them do it and watch as they flail around with a whole lot of under-leveled stuff instead of the smaller amount of level-appropriate stuff they should have.
>>
>>52272634
And Dwarves don't care about that because why the fuck would I try to kill my fellows in the street over some dumb bullshit? If the offense is serious enough that two Dwarves need to come to potentially fatal blows, we've got court systems and ritualized forms of honorable combat. None of this "get out the weapon you have under your tunic right now and let's have a duel" nonsense, but "okay fucker, you've impugned the honor of me and my ancestors, I demand satisfaction, we're going to see the Lawbringers and then we settle this on the field in our full kit".

Because Dwarves are fucking C I V I L I Z E D
>>
>>52272662
You shouldn't be explaining anything if your giving objectively wrong advice like "multiclassing makes you weaker".
>>
File: ratfolk_by_targete-d4nhp5c.jpg (93KB, 800x740px) Image search: [Google]
ratfolk_by_targete-d4nhp5c.jpg
93KB, 800x740px
My DM has struck up a 5e campaign, and graciously allowed me to attempt to play a Ratfolk character I never got to play for PF due to that group scattering to the winds after the first session. How best to convert PF chargen for Ratfolk into 5e rules?
>>
>>52272677
Go ahead and delay your higher level spell access, Extra Attack, etc. then.
>>
Excuse me am I blind or can I not see this alleged Warlord UA? The newest one that shows up for me is still the Mystic.
>>
>>52271384
>if your group is 100% stealth-capable, don't be the clumsy guy in heavy armor.

That's like the one situation they explicitly call out as being where you can make a check as a group, and as long as 50% succeed, you all do.
>>
>>52272670
Well clearly your setting's dwarves don't understand the importance of waving a sharp metal dick around to impress your aristocratic peers, and also don't imagine running into some other honorless rapscallions who demand immediate satisfaction with a duel in the streets.

Being unprepared to fight at any time is understandable, I suppose.
>>
How's everyone liking DnD Beyond?

Curse employee Twitch-pushers pls go
>>
>>52271384
>>52272744
joke's on you
i'm the clumsy guy in heavy armor, but i can also cast Pass Without Trace and teleport 60 feet between shadows
>>
>>52272700
Pick an existing 5e race that fits the stats and a change a few of the ribbon features.
>>
>>52272765
>5emegaanontools have roll20 integration and updated yesterday
I don't even know what I'd use Beyond for.
>>
>>52272700
Couldn't you just reskin Kenku?
>>
File: 1481052104078.jpg (69KB, 609x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481052104078.jpg
69KB, 609x720px
>>52272708
>Multiclassing pre-level 5

Also it really isn't that huge of a hurdle, most classes benefit from multiclassing so long as it's something that actually boosts the core class.
>>
>>52272570
>Also Illithids are ment to be weird alien creatures who aren't the buddy buddy type with anyone because they want to enslave the world.

that's what everyone thinks about them, but after reading all the stuff volo has to said about them, there's some excerpts that very highly suggest the possibility of mind flayer allies and even adventurers. mostly renegade or exiled mind flayers, but it's something.

>Unlike colonial mind flayers, rogue illithids develop a healthy respect for those not of their kind. They treat especially powerful creatures and individuals as equals, not adversaries, and seek to cooperate with them. A renegade mind flayer might become a trusted advisor or a powerful ally, so long as it is kept well fed. Any alliance it makes, however, collapses if the mind flayer falls under the sway of an elder brain once more.

but yeah, i don't pretend it's something that can work 100% of the time or anything like that, mostly a thought experiment at making a coherent race for that 1% of campaigns.

>playable official mind flayers never
>>
>>52272769
why is a monk wearing heavy armor?
>>
>>52272817
Why not?
>>
>>52272782
I'm hoping they make a fancy phone app, for the most part, particularly with a decent digital character sheet.
>>
>>52272763
Personally dwarves in campaigns I've run and been in are always ready for a fight, goes back to the whole their society fights off horrors from below the earth and have to move at the drop of hat. They may not always be actively snarling and trying to pick a fight but I hardly imagine a dwarf not being armed and armored except in a few rare occasions.
>>
>>52272713
There is no Warlord UA, nor likely ever will be.
>>
>>52272708

Delaying your abilities by a level in order to obtain survivability you need *now* (AC, saves), particularly in the early levels when life is harsh, is a worthwhile investment.

See:
Fighter 1 / Warlock X
Cleric 1 / Wizard X

As is delaying ASIs or class abilities you don't care much about after you get your solid core for classes that are frontloaded, in order to obtain greater power through synergy.

See:
Fighter 5 / Warlock 3-5 / Fighter 11
Paladin 6 / Warlock X
Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X
Barbarian 5 / Rogue 1-2 / Barb X
Sorcerer 3 / Warlock 2 / Sorcerer X
>>
Arcana soon, brothers.
>>
>>52272744
I can only find the example with Survival, but anyway with Stealth it's about combat, not the out-of-combat effect (group checks are good enough for that).
If the majority of the group is stealthy, they'll get surprise with relative ease (vs almost never if it's just a stealthy guy along with 4 lumps of heavy metal), it's an extra round, call it an action point, an action surge.
Unflexible, only for the first round obviously, but it's easy enough to grab.
>>
>>52272839
>Why not?

Well you certainly CAN make a Strength monk, but given that Dexterity and Wisdom are probably the two best ability scores in the game, and the monk class rewards you for investing in them, I think "WHY?" is the better question here.
>>
>>52272839
>>52272892
Not to mention loosing unarmored movement and unarmored defense which can make your AC just as good as wearing most armors.
>>
>>52272859
>There is no Warlord UA, nor likely ever will be.

Mike Mearls considers the Purple Dragon Knight, the Battlemaster's "Commander's Strike" and "Maneuvering Attack" abilities, and the Inspiring Leader feat to be adequate replacement for the Warlord.
>>
>>52272869
not that guy but so far, for every campaign i've played through, being even 1 level behind the rest of the group can be very underwhelming, progression-wise.

we've never made it far enough so that a common class fell entirely out of line by keeping its normal progression so to force you into multiclassing to keep up. i could maybe see stuff like Class A 1/Class B X working out because you level up that first level pretty quickly or starting up at say, 8th level with Class A 5/ Class B 3 and not deal with the transition time and be fine, but waiting an entire level at 5th or so to get extra attack or spell level 3 is huge.
>>
>>52272926
>Mentioning Mearls by name
Stop.
>>
>>52272892
>Monks can deflect and return arrows
>Dodge as a bonus action
>Evade Dex saves
>stun troublesome enemies
>clearly a class that can excel at defense
>problem is their AC sucks until they can max out two ASIs and they'll never have shields
>game doesn't reach the point where you can pump Dex/Wis high enough and fuck you, no one believes your perfect stat roll theorycraft bullshit
>throw shields, heavy armor, and the armored fighting style on them
>21 AC as soon as you find fullplate, ha ha fuck you ranged enemies, ha ha fuck you spellcasters, ha ha fuck you mobs of melee enemies, ha ha fuck you bosses
>>
>>52272891
>Most of the party is stealthy and light to medium armor
>Can't roll for shit so they hardly pass stealth checks

I just want one surprise round
>>
>>52272869
>Paladin 6 / Warlock X
>Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X
These are the only two you listed that actually are better than the base through a majority of the levels, and it has everything to do with Divine Smite. Though the second one is a worse caster than a straight sorcerer.
>>
>Rapiers are single-handed weapons and they were often employed with off-hand bucklers, daggers, cloaks and even second swords to assist with defense
>cloaks
What benefits would using a cloak as a weapon give in game?
>>
>>52272942
>Stop talking about what the Lead Designer says and does for the game.

Why?
>>
>>52272963
If your DM let's you try and blind your enemy with it?
>>
>>52272963
Reaction for +1 AC and/or bonus action grapple.
>>
Has there even been any indication that there's going to be a UA today? Seems like the recent UAs have said the date when the next one will be on the page, but Mystic's page doesn't specify a date.

Willing to bet now that there's no UA today.
>>
>>52272926
Which is why I said there will likely never be a Warlord UA.
>>
>>52272971
If you say the demon's name, you summon him to this plane.
>>
>>52273014
MIKE MEARLS
MIKE MEARLS
MIKE MEARLS
WE SUMMON THE MERCHANT OF THE COAST TO ASK A QUESTION OF THEE
WHERE IS THE UA
>>
>>52272971
Almost everything bad about 5e/UA comes from Mearls and we know he browses /tg/ and reddit, don't fuel his massive ego.
>>
>>52272869
Some of those are sensible, but when someone is saying they want to play a monk/ranger/paladin, they probably should at least be told what they're doing to themselves.
>>
>>52272708
>Delaying your highest level of spells known (But not your spell slots) meaning that at 1/2 of levels you can cast only level 3 spells instead of level 4 spells or level 5 but no level 6, and at the other 1/2 of levels you can cast level 6 spells when any other wizard could also cast level 6 spells... For this terrible, terrible delay, you get +10 AC from plate armour and shield, along with more cantrips (Guidance, resistance, spare the dying, sacred flame, light, mending) and a level 1 domain feature such as a skill proficiency and a druid cantrip and having some extra spells (Healing word to get a teammate off the ground can be useful, since you don't care about healing a lot, just healing anything at all)... Mostly the 10+DEX AC (13+DEX with mage armour) -> 20 AC. Also I suppose starting with a level of cleric gives you +1 HP.

I mean, it really isn't that terrible, espescially if your DM bullies you a lot.
>>
>>52273065
At least he gives answers to things instead of fucking nonanswers like crawford
>>
File: 1307280180305.jpg (103KB, 721x492px) Image search: [Google]
1307280180305.jpg
103KB, 721x492px
>>52272869
>No Battlemaster making 3 attacks per turn with Hex on at level 6, or with advantage at level 8.
>No Shield Master Barbarian punting everything to the ground with their expert athletics before attacking.
>No Sorlock firing 4 (6 at 11th) Eldritch Blasts whenever they feel like. With Hex or advantage as per the Battlemaster above.

Granted, not a big fan of Paladin 2 / Sorc X, but that's really just a paladin that wants to smite all day rather than a true sorcerer.
>>
File: oath of conquest.jpg (11KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
oath of conquest.jpg
11KB, 272x185px
>>52273054
Cease at once, you fool! Once he has arisen he cannot leave until he has tasted blood!
>>
>>52273088
Oh, I meant, you get +2 HP for taking the level of cleric, but only +1 HP if you take the level of cleric after already starting as wizard.

Honestly I think the heavy armour proficiency is a bit much.
>>
Hey /5eg/ I need some half-elf sorcerer/cleric pics. Can you help me please?
>>
File: 1459481445620.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1459481445620.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>52273054
Probably sitting on Jeremy Crawford's desk to be revised into something that vaguely resembles actual rules.

>>52273097
He pretty cautiously says, "RTFM, idiot." Most of the stuff he's asked is clearly answered if people could read.
>>
Looks like there is a UA coming today

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/843869514148208640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>
>>52273097
this

>Hey Crawford, can a Soul Knife choose to manifest just one of his psychic blades, or dismiss just one, leaving his other hand free?
>A SOUL KNIFE CANNOT HOLD OBJECTS WHILE MANIFESTING HIS BLADES
>that wasn't the question tho; follow-up, if the blades fill his hands and can parry non-living matter like enemy weapons, can the blades deal psychic damage to things like doors?
>A PSYCHIC BLADE IS A FINESSE WEAPON
>what
>>
>>52272963
Throw it on a weapon to unbalance it and weigh it down, or entangle the enemy, or blind the enemy, or hide a thrust from a weapon.
>>
File: IMG_0561.jpg (249KB, 1200x1523px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0561.jpg
249KB, 1200x1523px
Fire genasi immortal mystic?
>>
>>52273088
I see your point, but I'd rather have the higher level spells on time than the AC. I wouldn't dump Dex in the first place on a wizard, so the plate isn't going to be a straight +8 AC gain in the first place. Cantrips are nice but I think if I'm relying on cantrips to carry a full caster past about level 5, I'm fucking up.
>>
>>52273213
*gensai
>>
>>52273142
Crawford answers questions that are extremely fucking obvious as far as the book goes, but the moment there is some huge incongruity of oversight in RAW/RAI, he starts talking nonsense.

If you ask him a three-part question, he'll give you a non-answer that vaguely relates to the least important part of that one. He's shit at this.
>>
>>52273222
Its genasi, anon
>>
>>52273213
his skin makes him look like an earth genasi
>>
>>52272713
Mystic fully encompasses the Warlord desu.
>>
>>52273234
Can you point to one? I only see the ones from people who can't be bothered to read more than 140 characters.
>>
>>52273242
But fire genasi are the red skinned ones
>>
>>52273259
But his skin looks like a bunch of rocks
>>
>>52273259
Racist
>>
>>52273247
Is Mantle of Command the new warlord reply meme now?

It should be.
>>
>>52273271
His skin is actually ceramic.
>>
>>52273271
But he has the fiery temper of a fire genasi
>>
>>52273194
>Does feature work like this, this, or this?
>Yes.
>So I can do second this?
>No.
>>
>>52273298
Racist
>>
>>52273298
>>52273287
>>52273271
>>52273259
guys guys. he could just have two manifestations. that's canon ain't it?
>>
>>52273314
yall niggas realize there are quasi-elemental and para-elemental planes, right
he's a magma genasi desu
>>
>>52273314
Is it? Im no genasi expert. Can you be fire/earth?
>>
>>52273217
Well, if you have +3 or +2 on dex, that just means you're getting +7 (4 with mage armour) or +8 (5 with mage armour), and you no longer need high dex for AC so you don't have to get +3 dex in the first place.

Especially if you've
>rolled for stats
Because your DM is a shit and you have only one good stat, you can then have good AC without even having good stats.

Guidance is something you can use all the time as long as you're not concentrating on a spell. Resistance is mostly for traps and drinking things and out of combat shenangians that involve saves. Light is just good to have about for those who doesn't want to carry torches and don't have darkvision. Spare the dying just means you don't need to carry a healer's kit. You're not relying on the cantrips in combat, the cantrips provide out of combat stuff for you to do without using spell slots, because rituals can't do everything.

Once you get 20 AC, you can cast shield to get 25 AC for a round, and you're suddenly really tough. Not to mention, you can now use magical shields or armour if you find any. And you might get weapon proficiency if you find any utility magical weapons.

The main point though really is just that you're gaining a load of AC for what's really just making it so you have less you can do with your high level spell slots every half a level. And even then, don't knock upcasting certain spells like hold person which get +1 target per spell level.
>>
>>52273323
*gensai
>>
>>52273097
Hi, Mike.
>>
>>52273329
I'm confused in what world a group of players says both "let's roll for stats" and "multiclassing is overpowered."

Do people who object to one not object to the other?
>>
>>52273065
How do we even know he browses /tg/? Got any proof? I've seen it mentioned a few times before.
>>
File: innerplanes.jpg (253KB, 773x1009px) Image search: [Google]
innerplanes.jpg
253KB, 773x1009px
>>52273324
>>
>>52273374
Mearls doesn't browse here. He's smarter than that.
>>
>>52273194
I don't know, doesn't that kind of make sense?

>can you leave your other hand free
>You cannot hold objects while using this ability
Okay, so you can't do it.

>can blades deal damage to things like doors?
>the blade is a weapon
Well, okay, it's a weapon so you can deal damage to doors.
>>
>>52273365
Rolling for stats is bad.
Not allowing multiclass is bad.

There, done.
>>
>>52273334
it's genasi, stop.
>>
>>52273365
One is leaving things to chance and therefore good, and the other is taking an extra step to optimize and therefore bad.

It makes sense, even if it's wrong.
>>
>>52273389
You can't fool me Mike.
>>
>>52273395
It is the most autistic way possible of answering the question, and I don't mean autistic in the good, "informative, detailed, overly descriptive" sense, but in the bad "anti-social, has no idea how humans communicate, is rocking back and forth in his chair and screaming" one.

And then he will contradict himself three weeks later.
>>
>>52273395
Crawford always answers in a way that encourages people to open their books and read. It's a subtle troll.

>>52273411
I allow multiclassing. I just explain to people the downsides of the multiclass they're contemplating. They can still do it if they want to.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 508x428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 508x428px
What is the most fun Monk to play out of

Open Hand
Kensai
Sun Soul
Long Death

Excluded the other two relevant ones because we already have a rogue and life cleric, I liked different things about all of them and finding it difficult to choose.
>>
>>52272361
>cleric casts spirit guardians + spirit weapon, walks into battle and just dodges until everything is dead

One time at level 1 I just tanked two ogres by verbally taunting them and dodging while my my warlock and ranger friend shot at them at a distance. They didn't land a single hit on me for several rounds and then I was able to revive the fighter and barbarian they had nearly one-shotted earlier. Every attack swung at me that misses cause of dodge is just one more attack I wont have to heal up later.
>>
>>52273454
*kenasi

Open hand is the most fun.
>>
>>52273454
Open Hand is the most tactically useful one.

Sun Soul looks cool until you actually play it and realize you can't do all that cool-sounding stuff at once.
>>
File: M_Dragonborn9.png (166KB, 305x278px) Image search: [Google]
M_Dragonborn9.png
166KB, 305x278px
Hello, everynyan. What do you want to know?
>>
>>52273468
*ken-sama
>>
>>52273427
I'm not Mike.
>>
>>52273468
Please stop. Or I'll go get Hekaton.
>>
>>52272649
Did anyone ever actually pay attention to those rules? I don't even know how they worked.
>>
>>52273374
>>52273389

Mike Mearls has enough time NOT writing or playtesting 5e product that he might as well just google his own name every ten minutes.
>>
>>52273454
Sun soul or open hand, I guess.

Personally I like WOT4E, shadow monk and tranquility the best, but you've discluded all of them.

WOT4E needs some sort of homebrew to work properly.
Shadow monk can work brilliantly alongside a rogue considering you get pass without trace, darkness and silence to assist in sneakiness and it's better to have everybody be sneaky than just a few people be sneaky
Tranquility doesn't really interfere with a healer at all. Clerics can do things aside from healing, you know?
>>
>>52273491
Nice try.
>>
>>52273491
That's exactly what Mike would say.
>>
>>52273503
He spends four and five days a week playtesting, you stupid asshole.
>>
>>52273468
>>52273480
Cool, cheers familiars
>>
Hello, so I bought the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure, and the combats are completely deadly. Like the first combat has 500 adjusted XP and 400 would be deadly for a group of four lvl 1 PCs.

I read about people trying to avoid encounters by sneaking etc., and about people weakening the encounters, what did you do/would you suggest?
>>
>>52273504
In my other group I've been playing a Wu Jen so I've kinda been spoiled when it comes to elemental shit

I might give shadow a go in that case, I'll have a deeper look at it.

Tranquility looks really fun but I think I'll save that for the next campaign with my main group as me and another player want to do a monk rivalry thing with polar opposite personalities.
>>
>>52273507
Fine. In that case, I'm Mike Mearls!
>>
5etools is somewhat sluggish on mobile now, especially when interacting with the search field/filters.
>>
>>52273659
Fuck off Mike, make an actual battlemaster you cunt.
>>
>>52273652
Doing multiple monk characters in a row sounds kinda boring, to be honest. Should probably only make one for one campaign since they're pretty monotonous - archetypes only give you an extra gimmick to add to your routine.
>>
File: IMG_0113.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0113.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
>>52273659
No, anon.
I am Mike Mearls.
>>
>>52273652
That actually sounds like fun, hopefully it works out the same in the campaign I'm since we have an open hand monk who is more of a leader type and I rolled a Shadow monk who cares more about a good fight than anything else.
>>
>>52273527
>>52273491
>>52273389
BEHOLD, FOR (((MIKE MEARLS))) IS AMONG US
>>
>>52273728
>>52273691
>>52273659
BUT WHO IS THE REAL ONE?
>>
>>52273691
I'M ALSO MIKE MEARLS
>>
>>52273753
I am Mike Mearls, and so is my wife.
>>
>>52273769
But what about your wife's son?
>>
I'm mike mearls, and enough is enough. (((We))) wont be bullied any longer. The mearl collective is making a stand against you, /5eg/. Apologize. Apologize for always calling us the worst dev on the team. Apologize for everything.
>>
>>52273054
This is entirely your fault.
>>
>>52273548

just don't have the encounters happen in vacuum. make the enemies stupid, they have no reason to assume a group of random idiots are actually heroes. have them fuck up perception checks because they're busy with other things, have them not take the characters very seriously until one or two of them gets dropped.

also aren't most of them Kobolds? Kobolds being idiots writes itself.
>>
File: Glaives.jpg (16KB, 300x215px) Image search: [Google]
Glaives.jpg
16KB, 300x215px
>>52271476

That looks like a glaive with a shorter haft (on account of it being used by a halfling).

He is holding titled away from the point of view of the picture, making it look smaller than it is.

>>52271492
>>52271506

It's not an axe.
>>
>>52272287
Does the player know he made a wish? I mean did you explicitly tell them they had a wish coming, and that was the wish they made? If so, then I think rewinding time and letting them encounter the dragon again could be cool. If not, I'd fill the player in, tell them that what they said would count as their wish, and give them the chance to change it.
>>
>>52271712
Don't listen to that anon, trope subversion is gonna get you shit on because "lel original thought" memes rustle any grog's jimmies, but following the trope is also gonna get you shit on because of "lel y u no original thought" memes.

For what it's worth, I think it's a fine change.
>>
>>52273950
>23h
>>
File: UA.jpg (101KB, 1108x461px) Image search: [Google]
UA.jpg
101KB, 1108x461px
kek, guess it was too much to hope for to have two good UAs in a row.
>>
>>52273982
Hey, quit stealing my totally original donut steel meme
>>
File: 640x0.jpg (65KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
640x0.jpg
65KB, 640x960px
>>52273982
You are fake news
>>
>>52270481
You can't ready to cast BB/GFB while hasted, since readying a spell takes concentration.
>>
File: NewUA.png (513KB, 1202x399px) Image search: [Google]
NewUA.png
513KB, 1202x399px
>>52273982
Apply yourself.
>>
File: VERY FAKE NEWS.jpg (49KB, 933x445px) Image search: [Google]
VERY FAKE NEWS.jpg
49KB, 933x445px
>>52273982
>>
>>52270583
Only one of the classes I like were on that list. I guess either I have shit taste, or everyone else does.
>>
>>52274030
You can, but you need somebody else casting haste on you. And if you're entering melee, you might as well have someone else cast it on you. An AT is probably one of the best targets for haste.

Though I guess they can bonus action disengage and run a load to keep their concentration.
>>
>>52274055
The only two options really.
>>
>>52273893
>halfling
Dwarves don't really NEEEEEEED beards, you know.
>>
>>52274091
If they're a woman I guess.
>>
>>52274104
I have played two beardless Dwarves, and in my current setting, Dwarves eschew beards in favor of mustaches
>>
>>52274104
I always preferred my dwarven women without beards.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

Don't mind me just posting another fake UA
>>
>>52274172
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited
>>
File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf
AHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
>>52273548
Personally, I gave out potions, put an old healer in the keep (she was too old to go out and fight), and cut out the mill and dragon fights. And it was STILL a lot of content that burned through the party resources. Nobody died, but boy, were they grateful for that long rest when the raid was over.

I also made the enemies more interested in looting than fighting, so that they wouldn't get as fucked by random encounters. After all, the Kobolds are sniveling cowards when alone and the mercenaries are, well, mercenaries.

If you decide to try adjusting the encounters, try http://kobold.club .

Oh, and beware the Cyanwrath Langdedrosa duel. The dude's CR4, it's basically a guaranteed kill/KO on a level 1 character. A smart level 2 might be able to take him, but a level 1 has barely any chance. It DID lead to the player hating the guy's guts, though, and set up a cool rivalry between his character and Cyanwrath.
>>
>>52274200
>>52274195
>>52274172
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>52274172
Not bad, seems pretty cool, I like the war wizard, an archetype focused around not getting beat as hard as another seems good.

Probably a good pick for the dwarf wizard meme build.
>>
Where do you guys find those graphics with DPR comparison? How do people calc it?
>>
>>52274200
>>52274195
>>52274172
Wait, I don't get it. What changed about theurgy?
>>
File: Untitled.png (20KB, 392x227px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20KB, 392x227px
Why not disadvantage on the attack/advantage on the Con save? +2's and +4's is 4e shit
>>
File: straid.png (25KB, 250x265px) Image search: [Google]
straid.png
25KB, 250x265px
>>52274172
>>52274195
>>52274200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgQSbwnWD0
nice
>>
I should have listened to you guys.

We have a sorta tight group of roleplayers here. Far from the city, so we dont have a lot of people to pick and choose from. So when out secondary GM wanted to run a campaign, I just said yes.

It was Curse of Strahd. The pitch sounded interesting, but he had a caveat; the group needed to have the reincarnation of tatyana (or something), which had to be a girl. So that left me the only eligible player.

I thought I might be able to avoid any unnecessary weird and creepy situations, so I looked around for a build that would be difficult to mess with. I settled on a half elf, high Wisdom Paladin of devotion. Max my chance of not being charmed or controlled.

Just a precaution - I didn't actually expect him to do anything stupid and make things weird.

You guys knew him better than I did.

It took no time at all, before he had begun throwing Strahd at us, constantly attempting to charm and control my character. I thought it was a plot point (because it definitely sounds like it), but he just kept doing it, all the time. Like, the moment we had evem the slightest down time, he would immediately attempt to get my character away from the rest of the group, or even charm me during the long rests whole I was on shift. The DC was also absurdly high, and even with 18 wisdom, I needed to roll 17+ to avoid it. That would be a problem until I actually get the immunity, assuming I got there.

Which of course I didn't. We had two day-long sessions, and I am pretty sure I won't be participating further in this campaign. That was just beyond weird, and I have played some really fucked up Dark Heresy games before. Is Curse of Strahd really meant to be this uncomfortably weird? Or was he just being a creep for no good reason?
>>
>>52274200
Holy shit
>It's theurgist, but they haven't even tried to fix it
>It's a new bladesinger that really all it does is give you higher AC
>>
>>52274303
Curse of Strahd is literally a Dracula story, and your character is literally Mina Harker, anon.
>>
>war magic
just go bladesinger
>>
>>52274303
london?
>>
File: SunElfFace01.png (122KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
SunElfFace01.png
122KB, 210x330px
Here comes my long considered elven battle mage!
>>
>>52274295
>+2's and +4's is 4e shit
>implications
You're really clueless about where this is heading to, right?
Where we're going, we wont need martials.
>>
>>52274356
>being a knife-eared fucko
>>
>>52274303
What this guy said >>52274352
Except the reincarnation is supposed to be an NPC so he was going to up the creep factor very quickly. If you show back up tell the party you are not comfortable with this.

As a side note he was just abusing the module.
>>
>>52274375
Just go bladesinger

Also fuck bladesingers and fuck this UA why does this UA exist
>>
File: 1489062274841.gif (4MB, 200x313px) Image search: [Google]
1489062274841.gif
4MB, 200x313px
>>52274379
huh
disadvantage on an attack here and there ruins martials?
>>
>>52274200
>DON'T WORRY WIZARDS
>WE KNOW YOU GOT YOUR FEE-FEES HURT OVER THE MYSTIC
>HERE'S A REMINDER THAT YOU'RE STILL THE ONE TRUE GODS
>>
>>52274303
strahd should not show up that often

also, having you be her is stupid, what's he gonna do when he charms you? make you hand over your sheet and make a new one? he's a faggot
>>
Okay, for Arcane deflections cost in use, it should at least be scaling.
>>
>>52274303
>I thought it was a plot point (because it definitely sounds like it)
Yes, Strahd's main motivation is trying to get Tatyana's reincarnation to turn into an undead thrall.
>Is Curse of Strahd really meant to be this uncomfortably weird?
God fucking no, there's an NPC called Ireena who is supposed to be the reincarnation of Tatyana. Having a PC play her is just retarded (a, because of the issues you faced and b, because there's an event where she literally exits stage left from the campaign).
>>
>>52274303
Oh I think I remember you, is this the game where it has that stupid houserule that you have to play your own gender? If so, that should have been your first red flag.

Otherwise, yeah, CoS is supposed to be a little weird and creepy, with some black/dark humor thrown in because its not all supposed to be like that. Your GM has a magical realm for you. The best move is to literally not play the game.

Also, yeah, Strahd is vampire supreme. Good luck getting past his charm before the serious levels.
>>
>>52274441
>>52274295
>>
>>52274303
Demand you get your level 7 feature early through some sacrifice to balance it out. Even if you have to sacrifice something important.
>>
>>52274460
>is this the game where it has that stupid houserule that you have to play your own gender
this is a great rule
manchildren larping their waifus is cancer
>>
>>52274397
>implying your DM can't lift that restriction
>>
>>52274481
It would be fine, if it weren't be obviously abused like it is in the current situation.
>>
File: Jerry.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry.gif
3MB, 320x240px
Hey /5eg/

My players wanted to develop their characters' backstories more. Specifically, they want to have a session where they are just walking through the woods talking.

How can I facilitate this/make it more fun? Maybe introducing a character that just asks about their stories?
>>
>>52274503
it's gonna blow
have something prepared
>>
>>52274414
Hot.

>>52274481
>playing with manchildren
don't need no houserules if you choose your players well
>>
>>52274481
This >>52274498 having it to fend off cringy bullshit is one thing, using to create cringy bullshit is another.
>>
As terrible as Warmage is, I'm more amused that Theurge was literally unchanged. For what purpose, WotC?
>>
>>52274521
They want playtest data this time or whatever
>>
>>52274303
You should fail the save so he charms and takes her, then you can make a new sheet and move on from the creepy shit.
>>
>>52274521
Copy and paste is far easier than trying to balance something different.
>>
>>52274503
Why don't you guys actually walk through the woods while RPing? Total immersion. You can be a guy that they're escorting to the next town, and just chat the trip away.
>>
>>52274521
Because there was NOTHING WRONG, obviously. Wizards should be able to get any archetypes capstone at 14th level.
>>
>>52274521
It was a hack job done in a few hours before the deadline, anon.
>>
>>52274514
>Have something prepared
Like what?
This is literally what I'm asking for
>>
>>52274545
>>52274545
>>52274545
>It's a "/5eg/ gets cucked" episode
>>
>>52274200
>>52274195
>>52274172
>literally half a new archetype
Food and Provisions would have been better than this shit.
>>
>>52274559
bear attack
>>
>>52274303
So as pointed out by other anons there's already an NPC that is the reincarnation of Tatyana (Ireena) and Strahd is not supposed to be getting himself involved with the players much until near the end.

I have to wonder if they even read through the fucking book. Or do they not have it?

And no, its not supposed to be weird. It's mostly a gothic horror kitchen sink.
>>
>>52274559
Goblins, orcs, a hag anything that lives in a forest. Just have some encounters and shit ready for if people seem to grow bored and want to do something mid way through.
>>
File: Stop.jpg (13KB, 150x182px) Image search: [Google]
Stop.jpg
13KB, 150x182px
>>52274564
Stop posting new threads so early.
>>
>>52274587
Based on the situation, it sounds like the DM wants some forced RP through charm especially with the house rules of everyone has to play their own gender.
>>
>>52274462
Yeah, I concede. Disadvantage would be even better.
>>
>>52274642
I'd say it's even worse, it sounds more like the /d/M is so fucking pathetic they tried to use Curse of Strahd as an attempt to solicit the player with an easy way of worming out if called on it.
>>
>>52274555
>before the deadline
This one came out about two hours after the normal time. As usual, it was written literally the same day it was pushed out. We all know it.
>>
>>52271387
well you can, its just not tested with balance. No UA stuff is multiclass balance tested, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Also I could play an ancient dragon if my DM let me, nothing in the rules cant be turned over by a DM if they wanted it, unless you are playing at a WoTC sanctioned Adventure league
>>
>>52272891
>if the majority of the group is stealthy

You think you're disagreeing with me, but you aren't. Someone said "don't be the only clunker if the party is stealthy". I said "you can in fact be the only clunker as long as everyone else is stealthy". And you seem to be replying, "no, you can be the only clunker as long as everyone else is stealthy"
>>
>>52273982
tfw when the shitty fakes would have been more entertaining than the real thing
>>
>>52275150
Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, my point is that you SHOULDN'T be the only clunker, losing the surprise round while the rest of the group takes it is a 20 to 25% hit to combat effectiveness, less if the party isn't big on combat... but most parties are, and fights don't last long, the extra round is a big deal.

You COULD play it, and not crimp everybody's style, stealth will still happen, but they'll crimp yours, and kick one round of ass more on most combats.

You might or might not mind, but since we were giving suggestions to a noob, it would be easier for everybody if he's on the same page as the rest of the party.
>>
>>52272744
Where you CAN make a check as a group, but the way base rules are designed this isn't supposed to be how it's done.

The way stealth rules are naturally designed is so that if you have one guy screaming HEY GUYS WE'RE OVER HERE then you've automatically failed stealth, not because everybody else in the group rolled poorly but because one guy rolled poorly and made a big racket. A kind DM might basically say 'Okay, they think there's one guy here clanking about, but you can still try to surprise them, it'll just be harder' or whatever.

You're not creed. Having a party succeeding their stealth checks doesn't make your baneblade succeed too.
>>
>>52275369
>>52275467
Going on how stealth and surprise works in 5e, stealth is ultimately a group check, because surprise is binary, but can be applied by person, but this only makes sense against a collective stealth roll.
>>
>>52270583
2 of my pics are too 4, then there's stone sorc in the boonies a bit
>>
>>52271440
>playing in three campaigns
>one started at level one, another I joined at level two, and the third I joined at level four.
>level 6,7, and 9 in them now
>never get past 5

I pity you
>>
>>52271488
As someone who has played Lost Mines in AL 6 times now and has yet to finish, I completely understand
>>
>>52271029
Well, if the jig wasn't up before, it is now. Learn 2 balance.
>>
>>52271001
My table went 1-13 last year, this year we started at 5 and made it to 14 before they died without ceremony, now we're just starting at 12. That's 3 campaigns right there.
>>
>>52274426
>waa a class a part from wizards get to do cool shit.
>>
>>52274460
Yeah that was me.

I suppose I just hoped the only 5 people in my area interested in role-playing games would not be stupid. Guess I was wrong.

It seems he has just forced it into a rather uncomfortable game for no good reason, so there is no good reason to stick around for it. Too bad :/
Thread posts: 358
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.