[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: "We don't call ourselves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 367
Thread images: 49

File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
>New UA: Wizards! Again!
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Give WotC your feedback on Mystic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52270493
>>
Where do you guys find DPR charts?
>>
hi
>>
Which class should get the BMX bandit archetype?
>>
>>52274584
kill you are shelf
>>
>>52274515
>Hot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgigpC-xAB8
>>
>Your academic nature and
understanding of magic and doctrine allow you
to master this ability sooner than a cleric of your
domain.
Studying the bible makes you better than an actual saint.
>>
File: PZOPSS0320-Ratfolk.jpg (2MB, 4263x4592px) Image search: [Google]
PZOPSS0320-Ratfolk.jpg
2MB, 4263x4592px
>>52272773
>>52272783
I kinda wanted to find a way to keep some of the neat OP racial abilities like Skulk and Scent, though. How much would be too much to keep, considering 5e's kinda done away with some of the features Ratfolk racials refer to?
>>
So we're getting new Wizard school based on feedback from the last class UAs article, but we can't even get new roguish archetypes.

And just in case you thought we listened to feedback on Theurgy, nope, we're gungho on this OP shit.

Great job, Wizards of the Coast.
>>
File: Theurgy.png (188KB, 791x748px) Image search: [Google]
Theurgy.png
188KB, 791x748px
>>
>>52274545
Reply to this post if you're Mike Mearls
>>
>>52274682
Fuck you I wan UA: food and provisions or UA: crafting

>>52274671
>Wizards of the Coast not Martials who can Boast
>>
>>52274699
Fuck off cunt
>>
>>52274699
Hi
>>
>>52274580
I just make them.

Ask me what you want and I can make'em for you.

There're a couple of others out there though, can't remember where they were.
>>
>>52274780
There was a DPR chart with the multiclass of Warlock and Sorcerer which seems to be the higher DPR of 5e but I'm not finding it.
>>
File: 1451617933896.jpg (77KB, 720x535px) Image search: [Google]
1451617933896.jpg
77KB, 720x535px
>>52274636
Turns out enlightening by own intelligence works!
>>
I don't get it. We already had the bladesinger.
And why did they release theurge again? Did they forget they already did that?
>>
>>52274813
Warlock AND sorcerer?

You mean fighter sorlock?

I have a table that compares the damage of the first favoured soul sorcerer to a bladelock.

But I can absolutely tell you, fighter sorlock / sorlock does not have the highest DPR unless this is some stupid UA abuse shit. Fighter sorlock is fucking great because of its crazy pushback, but it's not the highest DPR.
>>
>>52274867
They claim that they've changed it due to feedback, but I can't see a single change except for flavor text.
>>
>>52274867
War Wizard seems to be a tactician not a faggot with a sword. The War Wizard would be commanding armies, the Bladesinger is the one getting punched in the dick.

This allows you to answer a survey about the archetype, if you think it's too strong they can change something.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12550821

Remember, this is a multiple option poll.

The options in those poll were gathered from the most highly voted options from other polls.
>>
What other archetype capstones should Wizards get at 14th level?
>>
>>52274894
It was something about Eldritch Blast AND Sorcery Points
>>
Yeah really not seeing the whole War Magic = Bladesinger thing. Abilities are entirely different, flavor's pretty different aside from them both being battlefield casters, War Magic doesn't require you to be an elf, etc.

I think War Magic is great. Fits really well with Hobgoblin characters, which is neat.
>>
File: D&DCap.png (63KB, 710x312px) Image search: [Google]
D&DCap.png
63KB, 710x312px
Is the War Wizard's Int bonus to initiative on top of the normal Dex bonus?
>>
>>52274969
Eldritch blast and eldritch blast again.

As said, it isn't the highest DPR. Especially considering it requires two bonus actions if you want to use hex and then cast a quickened spell the same turn.

It does have by far the best pushback in the entire game.

At least until maybe level 17-19, a fighter with a hand crossbow can achieve a higher DPR against most things, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>52274545
UA: We had to put something out so people would see the link for the mystic survey.
>>
>>52274997
Seems so.
>>
>>52274997
Yeah boy. War Wizard Swashbuckler Rogue with 20 in 3 stats with alert feat is +20 to the initiative roll. Revised Ranger or Weapon of Warning makes it advantage.

Matt Mercer Gunslinger makes it +26 at level 20 but it's a meme build at that point.
>>
>>52275007
I see people often saying that Champion isn't good, but I like it since is very constant, it doesn't have a high burst but is constant.
>>
>>52275062
The champion is basically equivalent to not having an archetype. Any other fighter could be that "constant" if they just didn't use their abilities.
>>
>>52275007
Darkness + Devil's Sight for advantage.
Four Eldritch Blasts at 5th, six at 11th (at which point there's enough sorcery points to keep it going all day).

Sharpshooter + Xbow Expert Battlemaster can't match this over more than a couple turns, not without also having advantage on their attacks.
>>
>>52275057
>Matt Mercer Gunslinger makes it +26 at level 20 but it's a meme build at that point.

>implying the War Wizard Swashbuckler Rogue isn't a meme build

Pretty stupid initiative though. What's the highest initiative in the Monster Manual?
>>
>>52275123
IIRC nothing in the monster manual has any bonuses to initiative, so it's whatever has the highest Dexterity modifier.
>>
>>52275057
>but it's a meme build at that point.
Not at the part where it needs 20 in 3 stats?
>>
File: Mike Mearls proudly presents.png (38KB, 866x820px) Image search: [Google]
Mike Mearls proudly presents.png
38KB, 866x820px
>>52274723
That pasta should've gotten an edit long ago.
>>
>Not barbarians
>Not UA We gave superiority dice to all martials
>>
>>52275155
Give them a break, we had 28 pages of Mystic.
>>
>>52275112
>give champion a third attack at level 10
>change the fighter third attack to a second fighting style
Is it shit? Is it unwise to shit on non-champion fighters in this way?
>>
>>52274722

Oh absolutely that is what is happening, couple people were trying to pseudo justify the DMs actions.
>>
>>52275216
Being half-way decent at fighting is all Fighter has. Don't take it away from him.
>>
>>52275205
But anon, the UA should just be a page that reads
>ALl martials have superiority dice
No die amount, no maneuvers.

Just to btfo martialcuck more.
>>
>>52275251
Fuck off, virt
>>
Guys guys.
If they're revisiting archetypes now maybe they'll make alterations to Wot4E and other shitpiles.
>>
>>52275120
At level 5, you've got 3 attacks, 1d6+3 that can be upgraded to 1d6+13 for -5 to hit, but you also have +2 to hit from archery, and no disadvantage within 5ft so you can actually get advantage on prone enemies and autocrit on paralyzed enemies.

Advantage isn't too hard to come by, and, heck, you can walk up to an enemy, shove their face in the dirt and then nail their body with crossbow bolts. Also you have action surge to get an additional 2 attacks in when you need it.

You don't use devil's sight unless you're willing to lose EITHER agonizing blast or repelling blast or take 5 levels of warlock. If you lose repelling blast and your main source of combat utility... Well, sure, fine, if you really want. It's a competition of DPR after all. So you have 2 blasts for 1d10+4 each, but take an action at the start of each combat to give yourself advantage for the rest of combat. Then bonus actions.
So
n(4d10+16) - (2d10+8) where n is the number of rounds, with advantage, for warlock, though there's a slight sorcerery point danger. Also enemies have disadvantage on attacks.
Against
n(3d6+39) + (2d6+26) where n is the number of rounds, -3 to hit, no close combat problems or cover problems, and slightly higher AC.

It's kinda close, but really just stop talking about devil's sight, get repelling blast and you're golden to be overpowered.
>>
>>52275216
This is a horrible way of going around it. Here's how I would do it.
> Third and fourth attacks are champion-only.
> Battlemaster gets much more powerful manuevers, I'm talking Tome of Battle here.
> Who plays Eldrich Knight anyway
>>
>>52275304
>Third and fourth attacks are champion-only.
Why'd you want to buff the "i press LMB" archetype in such a passive, restrictive way?
Just give it actual fucking abilities.
>>
How does being made Large interact with weilding weapons? Eg; could a Large character weild a greatsword one handed?
>>
>>52275324
Champion archetype is not made for you. It's made for people who play 5e because they want to hang out with their friends and drink beer with them at the table, but they don't want to learn the system too much.
Battlemaster, on the other hand, is.
>>
>>52275120
>>52275299
Oh, but, to continue my post I will say that at level 11, especially considering more sorcerery points, sorlock wins out.

At low levels, 1-4, the fighter definitely wins.
Levels 5-10 are a bit more conditional.

However, I was just comparing to a ranged fighter. You want REAL DPR?

Oathbreaker PAM paladin, level 12.
>>
>>52275334
You can't be a large character. You can change your size due to some spells, and how it interacts with your equipment and weapon damage is described in those spells.
>>
>>52275334
The monster manual explains when a size up, the weapons gain a damage dice. An ettin with a Morningstar deals 2d8, instead of d8. So it's up to flavor, but I guess as a large character you can go dual greatswords as short swords.

But never give a character this cause they do enough damage already without doubling damage dice.
>>
>>52275367
Heck, I think PAM oathbreaker is at its most powerful compared to other DPR builds at level 7, but then level 8-10 it's even better. Level 11+ it's still great and level 6 and below it's just as good as any fighter doing the same build.
>>
>>52275334
Depends how you got enlarged. 'Enlarge person'? You do an extra 1d4. You still have to hold that sword in two hands, because that sword just got enlarged too.

Holding a normal greatsword? We'll call it a longsword, and you add 1d4.
>>
File: murray.png (99KB, 189x224px) Image search: [Google]
murray.png
99KB, 189x224px
>>52275361
Those people should get out of my magical elf math games and stay out.
>>
>>52275361
This, champion is fine. Its for folks that just want say, "I attack!." Every turn, like Warlocks and Barbarians.
>>
>>52275435
>Those people should get out of my magical elf math games and stay out.
Too bad, they're here and they won't be going anywhere.
>>
>>52275419
>>52275391
>>52275374
So basically unless it explicitly says so, damage doesn't change? I'm asking about a player wondering if, as a Primeval Guardian that uses their class feature to become large, they can weild larger and thus more damaging weapons. Though seeing that they can also add 1d6 damage to a successful hit 1/round every round, I'm going to say no.
>>
>>52275453
yes they will because they don't care for the game.
>>
I'm slightly miffed their War Magic tradition conflicts with my old homebrew a bit, so I updated mine a little. I know at least one anon from before used it, so consider the old editions expired/alternate.
>>
>>52275481
They can have better grapples and carry more shit. That's about it unless the ability specifies a damage increase.
>>
>>52275481
Yes they shouldn't wield better weapons cause the weapons they already have are good.
>>
>>52275502
>Conflicts

I hate to say it, but at least some iteations of that homebrew are way better than the piece of shit that is this 'Oh, I guess you get +X AC sometimes when you feel like it' wizard. Yours wasn't a pile of 'I boost my AC'.
>>
>Arcane Theurge can STILL learn every Cleric spell and Wizard spell in the game

y tho

Just let them be able to learn domain spells and thats it.
>>
>>52275561
But anon, what about all the wizard autist screeching because they have to share the spotlight with others?
>>
>>52275561
Our company's not called "Clerics of the Coast", anon. We would actually release Loremaster, if we thought we can get away with it.
>>
>>52275481
The Monster Manual has a bunch of monsters with large weapons. The Marilith has Large longswords which deal 2d8 damage as one example. I looks like they just add another damage die for each size category larger than medium.

I don't know if you want to let players use that though.
>>
>>52275543
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why they keep trying to add in uninspired and sometimes(Lore I'm looking at you) archetypes to wizards. Do they feel like they're required to because they're called WotC?
>>
What do you guys use for construction costs? The rules in the DM guide don't cover the cost of a house or a tavern or some other simple building.
>>
So I'm the only person whol ikes Theurgy and always has? Maybe I'm biased because I like no armoured clerics.
>>
File: YES.jpg (267KB, 1436x757px) Image search: [Google]
YES.jpg
267KB, 1436x757px
WE OLD SCHOOL NOW
>>
Reminder that if you don't fill out the survey on the Mystic you don't have any right to complain when it's printed as is broken as fuck.
>>
>>52274636
Martin Luther was ultimately more powerful than any given saint.
>>
File: Saint-George.jpg (53KB, 550x430px) Image search: [Google]
Saint-George.jpg
53KB, 550x430px
>>52275688
Didn't kill any monsters
>>
What is the ideal leveling up cadence for a game in your opinion?
>>
Guys give me ideas for an enchanted cultist dagger
>>
>>52275561
In order to choose all the Cleric spells, they have to have all of the domain spells already selected.

In order to have all the domain spells selected, the theurge must be level 9, and spend all of their selections on the domain spells.

They can't select out of domain Cleric spells until level 10, and 10 of your chosen spells HAVE to be a certain list. Your normally 24 selected spells are cut down to 14, granted the spells aren't that bad, but you don't have a choice.
>>
>>52275751
+1 Life Stealer's Misericorde. Steals a portion of a creature's life force when they're damaged by it. Wielder regains X HP, where X is based on the wielder's proficiency bonus.
>>
Theurgists are a shitty homebrew made by someone that wants to have a wizard/cleric gestalt without the MAD.
>>
>>52275361
And the people who sometimes look up from their phones.
>>
>>52275751
>Creatures killed by this blade cannot be revived unless with divine intervention, as they are sacrificed to the hands of <insert god here>. Instead of following their intended path, the soul is put to he afterlife of the god that this dagger is attuned to.

>Once per day the dagger can cast divination.
>>
>>52275658
Non-armoured clerics is nice and all but the theurgist is simply too powerful.
>You have access to both cleric and wizard spell lists instead of copying spells of your school for half price, enjoy!
>Oh, you can also add +2 to your save throw DCs every short rest I guess
>Also have cleric features earlier than the clerics get it

If they made the channel divinity more interesting than just 'My saves are hard to beat' and limited cleric spell selection, it'd be fine.

Though I guess you already have to jump through the 'you must have all the domain spells first' deal, but even then. If a wizard can write a lot of spells down into their spellbook, spells known isn't a worry for them at all.

Hmm.. Honestly maybe theurgist isn't so bad. Definitely better than bladesinger in any case. I think I'll consider allowing it, and swapping the +2 to a save for, say, whatever the domain's channel divinity is if they don't get that already.
>>
>>52275836
I'd swap the Channel Divinity for Domain and Turn Undead. It's already balanced for that.

Honestly the only real cheese I see is Life Theurge at high levesl.
>>
>>52275658
Having a white mage is appealing as an idea, the execution is just... So fucked. They should give them a more limited divine spellbook (that does include most of the important bits), and still, getting the 17th level feature at 14th is 1) cheap / boring, and 2) unfair. Wizards would be pretty strong even if they had only one feature - Wizard Spellcasting.
>>
Why did they just re-release theurgy?? Did anything about it change, cause it still just seems boring as hell
>>
>>52275895
They want more feedback I guess.
>>
>>52275649
http://walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/2015/12/worldbuilding-option-fortresses-temples.html
>>
All these UA and still there isn't way to persuade people using intelligence. Why is that?
>>
>>52275927
Add Int to spell damage, voila.
>>
File: chopper-out-for-the-count-ugh.png (156KB, 420x306px) Image search: [Google]
chopper-out-for-the-count-ugh.png
156KB, 420x306px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Wizard,War%20Magic%20(UA)

New UA has been added to 5etools.
>>
File: Ryder 6.png (167KB, 341x316px) Image search: [Google]
Ryder 6.png
167KB, 341x316px
>>52275991
> Local man is fucking based
>>
File: bear-01.jpg (62KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
bear-01.jpg
62KB, 625x469px
>>52274602
The barry player is pretty cute too
>>
>>52275731
True, but if he got XP for all the mortals he got killed he's pretty high level regardless.
>>
>>52275836
First thing to do should be to actually do a heretical thing in towards being a Wizard - Limiting their spell list.

How about they lose Necromancy and Evocation from Wizard Spell List, and ONLY gain Necromancy and Evocation from Cleric Spell list?

Necromancy and Evocation are the two most important schools for Cleric spells, and it definitely reduces their nuking potential.

And to be honest, it just feels right to me. That's why I'm brewing a White Mage Arcane Tradition with that exact idea.
>>
Trying to make an ocean themed warlock patron. What kind of sea creature would you consider "good" or "bad?" I'm thinking manta ray/seahorse for good, and octopus for bad.
>>
File: Cthulchu.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulchu.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>>52276163
There already is an ocean themed warlock patron.
>>
>>52276163
Your patron is one of the ancient sleeping leviathans dwelling in the sea. Something something deepest abyss or something something foundation of colorful reefs.
>>
>>52274648
Looking at Ratfolk from PF, I'd think you could modify a Gnome easily enough to be a Ratfolk. The thing about 5e is it doesn't have a lot of floating modifiers, so features that give you a +2 here and -5 here should either be replaced with something easier to track or just ignored completely. I'd give Ratfolks proficiency in Stealth, advantage on Animal Handling checks to influence rodents, advantage on Perception and Survival checks made with their sense of smell, Small, 25' speed, Darkvision...one or two small features tacked on at the end.
>>
>>52276151
>remove fireball and necromancy from wizards

Literally the number 1 iconic wizard and the number 1 iconic wizard villain
>>
>>52275927
Because nobody is ever persuaded by intellect or reason
>>
>>52276151
>>52276326
Necromancy should be limited to a dedicated Necromancer class so it can be fined tuned and usable without bringing the game to a clusterfuck halt.
>>
>>52275760
Find enemy wizard kill enemy wizard voila spells
>>
What class, archetype and race do I play next? I don't care as long as it isn't human and either a Wizard or Rogue
>>
File: ePD4f.png (448KB, 706x351px) Image search: [Google]
ePD4f.png
448KB, 706x351px
Have you guys ever used the Deck of Many Things in your campaign? How'd it work out?

I used it in my last session, this is how it went down

>party barely makes it through the dungeon, having fought Helmed Horrors, Spectators, and an Invisible Stalker in a pitch black room that was collapsing in on itself
>They finally come across a room with naught but a deck of ivory cards sitting on a pedestal
>dwarf sorcerer pulls the first card, Talons. Loses like four pretty good magic items, but handles it like a champ.
>Human Fighter pulls the second, the Knight

I'm going to be joining this campaign, as a new DM will take over the reins here soon. So in prep for this session, I figured it'd be cool if I made my character the Knight summoned by the card, should they have pulled the Knight. I also melded the Donjon and Knight card; if someone pulled the JoH, they would either summon the last person to pull the JoH, or themselves be teleported to a formless void to await the day when another JoH was pulled.

So, my Eladrin Mystic warps into reality, after hundreds of years in the void. He immediately pledges undying service to the Human Fighter.

>Half-Wood-Elf Nature Cleric goes to pull the next card, but hesitates. He's wise, and first prays to his god for advice on whether or not he should pull this specific card. With a religion check of 26, he decides to pull the next card, and receives the Vizier

The party is warned by my Mystic that pulling more than one card per person may spell grave consequences (as there are more bad cards than good cards, and the party had already thinned the deck leaving mainly bad cards) The Human Fighter is greedy and powerhungry, being from a noble family, and pulls another card.

He pulls the Knight, and vanishes from sight.

TO BE CONTINUED?
>>
>>52276387
Goliath Rogue
>>
>>52275142
>Not at the part where it needs 20 in 3 stats?
20 in 3 stats AND a Feat.
>>
>>52276387
Aasimar wizard.
>>
>>52276417
You have to declare how many cards you pull beforehand though
>>
File: best party ever.png (338KB, 1186x593px) Image search: [Google]
best party ever.png
338KB, 1186x593px
>>52276387
http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=http://pastebin.com/raw/3YjqLaEY
>>
The D&D Beyond Beta section on Magic Items removes all of the in-lore names from items (i.e. Heward's Handy Haversack -> Handy Haversack, Apparatus of Kwalish -> Apparatus of the Crab).

Weird.
>>
>>52276417
Fuck yeah, that's rad
>>
Wait, the Theurge is exactly the same?
>>
>>52276485
>Apparatus of the Crab
Not sure if I find that more or less amusing than usual. Shit just realised I am wrapping up my campaign soon and I really wanted to throw an apparatus of Kwalish in somewhere but forgot.
>>
>>52276417
In one of my games we came across a crazed undead jester, who toyed with us, and then pulled out a deck. While my fighter didn't know a damn thing about magic, I already guessed what it was. The jester began throwing the cards at us one at a time. I was out of character near shouting no, but the cards came no matter.

The Wizard, pulled Gems, and took like ten bludgeoning as a small landslide of gems fell on him. Next the Cleric, pulled Sun, and was like level 12 I think. Next was my fighter, who pulled Throne, not bad for a born slave. The other fighter pulled idiot, going from 7 intelligence, to like 4. Literally mentally disabled pirate Slut at that point.

But then, the other cleric, unfortunately pulled Fates, and the jester, who was throwing out the cards, used it instead to take all the cards back, and made their escape.

Deck of Many Things ruin games, but if it's a high magic setting where players can deal with the problems, it might work.
>>
>>52276484
>orteil
Fuck you anon.
>>
File: tumblr_nilkhpEJwo1rtcb1zo2_1280.png (293KB, 572x795px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nilkhpEJwo1rtcb1zo2_1280.png
293KB, 572x795px
>>52276417
The whole table is silent, before everyone explodes into "oh shits" and loses their minds.

My Mystic has yet to draw a card, and despite being hesitant, knows that only pulling a Jack of Hearts could bring back the Human Fighter, to whom he owes his freedom.

He pulls, and gets the Jester. Everyone goes nuts, as the jester by our rules allows us to put all the cards back in the deck, reshuffle it, and pull two more.

We do so, and my Mystic pulls the ... Knight

Que everyone losing their shit again, and the Human Fighter warps back into reality. My Mystic is now bound to his service, but he is also bound to my Mystic.

My Mystic, having achieved his goal of bringing back the fighter, forgoes his one remaining pull and banishes the Deck.

So that's my Deck of Many Things story, hope you enjoyed it. I really dunno how to build my Mystic though, he's going to be level 4, any suggestions?

>>52276440
We have everyone pull one, going clockwise. More fun that way, it becomes like roulette
>>
>>52276485
It's based on the SRD, which also does that (a practice established in the 3.5e SRD).
>>
>>52276549
Yes. Now subscribe to Beyond, goyim
>>
>>52276549
Yeah I just came here to ask this.
Is there a difference I missed as well?
>>
>>52276585
>mentally disabled pirate Slut

YES
>>
>>52276619
>My Mystic is now bound to his service, but he is also bound to my Mystic.

HAH
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
>>
>>52275057
>be war wizard swashbuckler rogue
>be tabaxi
>get some levels of monk or some other shit to get ridiculous speed
>never be surprised
>always go first
>run away from EVERYTHING
I'm almost considering making this
>>
>>52276417
I gave it to the PCs in the last session of our Curse of Strahd campaign.

>ranger finds it, and keeps it for herself
>important to note; the ranger had made a few deals with the Dark Powers and was becoming fixated on discovering the secrets of Barovia
>eventually I decide the Curse keeping the Mists around transfers to her
>party works this out, confronts ranger
>ranger takes out the deck, declares 7 draws and draws her first card
>Gets Star
>next turn, draws her second card
>Gets Void
>Instantly collapses
>Party takes a minute to work out what the hell just happened
>With a little aid from the divine, they track down the container with the ranger's soul in it
>Return it to her body
>As she wakes up, cleric stabs her through the heart
Bit of an anticlimax, but it was still an interesting ending to the campaign (does kinda throw a wrench in my plans to propose running Tomb with that party, though).
>>52276619
>We have everyone pull one, going clockwise. More fun that way, it becomes like roulette
Yeah but, you do have to declare how many cards you're going to pull, and if you don't then the entire deck activates. That's the point anon was making.
>>
>>52276935
>you do have to declare how many cards you're going to pull, and if you don't then the entire deck activates.

That's not how we do it
>>
>>52275927
>V a r i a n t : S k i l l s w i t h D i f f e r e n t A b i l i t i e s
Normally, your proficiency in a skill applies only to a specific kind of ability check. Proficiency in Athletics, for example, usually applies to Strength checks. In some situations, though, your proficiency might reasonably apply to a different kind of check. In such cases, the DM might ask for a check using an unusual combination of ability and skill, or you might ask your DM if you can apply a proficiency to a different check. For example, if you have to swim from an offshore island to the mainland, your DM might call for a Constitution check to see if you have the stamina to make it that far. In this case, your DM might allow you to apply your proficiency in Athletics and ask for a Constitution (Athletics) check. So if you’re proficient in Athletics, you apply your proficiency bonus to the Constitution check just as you would normally do for a Strength (Athletics) check. Similarly, when your half-orc barbarian uses a display of raw strength to intimidate an enemy, your DM might ask for a Strength (Intimidation) check, even though Intimidation is normally associated with Charisma.

p175 phb
>>
File: fat usopp.png (954KB, 765x541px) Image search: [Google]
fat usopp.png
954KB, 765x541px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/rules.html#Ability%20Scores

5etools now contains the SRD rules sections. I'll work on proper organization and adding non-SRD rules at a later time.
>>
>>52275895
>Did anything about it change, cause it still just seems boring as hell

I actually really like it. Allows me to build a wizard but have cleric spells. Bretty cool.
>>
>>52276605
?
>>
Best level path to take for Paladin/Undying Light Warlock?

Not interested in shitty tunnel fighter+spear cheese.
>>
>>52277156
Now I have to play the game again.
>>
>>52277145
It's exactly the same as it was when Mearls put it up the first time last August though.
>>
>>52277159
Just multiclassing a UA cheese.
>>
File: Omega_13.jpg (63KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Omega_13.jpg
63KB, 450x338px
>>52276935
>(does kinda throw a wrench in my plans to propose running Tomb with that party, though).
Why didn't the soul jar for void just spawn inside the tomb of horrors?
>>52277019
Do you run it as written? Declare how many, and then they are forced to draw that many. If they stop, the deck spits out the remaining cards.

>>52276417
I am running it. The BBEG has it on his person. He wished that every time it is used, it returns to him. The deck was in a dungeon, where the "Spirit of The Cards", a skeleton jester, offered to help solve a puzzle in exchange for being used. The paladin took two cards, got a stat buff(Star) and the "Activate the Omega 13!"(Fates)

Paladin's been a pretty great player so far. He is running with a berserker battle axe, but hasn't fallen since he took one of the Jerk Oaths.
>>
>>52276015
ryder actually looks cute in this image
>>
>>52277192

I do have A LITTLE self-respect.

Also I really did pick UL Warlock for flavor purposes. Really really.
>>
>>52277220
Anon, that's just the Dreamworks face. Do you have a bee fetish?
>>
>>52277228
Can't bee the Dreamworks face, both those eyebrows are glued firmly in place.
>>
>>52276619
>>52276417
>Level 4s getting the deck of many things
>Giving level 4s the power to completely break all of creation
Dear christ no

The way I've seen one DM it is best - Firstly, get rid of the bullshit broken cards. Add in some interesting ones. Keep it balanced and reasonable, don't make it an artefact to end all artefacts. Then, to really tie in with the deck actually even having a reason to exist, it has to embody some sort of god of luck/fuckery/chaos/fuckeverything/trickery or something. So having a sentient personality applied to the deck helps, especially in explaining the cards (Because how are players supposed to know otherwise? 'Oh, I read in a book you draw specific cards?'

In any case it'd end up being more of a cool tarot reading thing than a 'lel so random shit happens that can break everything' deal.
>>
>>52277159
3 levels warlock, rest of levels paladin.

First five/six levels in paladin (seven if oathbreaker) and then three levels of warlock, or eleven levels of paladin and then three levels of warlock. Then rest paladin.

Shillelagh.
>>
>>52277199
>Why didn't the soul jar for void just spawn inside the tomb of horrors?
Dammit, that would've been good. But I'd still have had the main problem, which is that the ranger died/got Voided.
>>52277274
>Level 4s getting the deck of many things
>Giving level 4s the power to completely break all of creation
>Dear christ no
I considered giving the Black Spider a Deck of Many Things at the end of LMoP, but his body got crushed and nobody looted it (sadly).
>>
>>52275991
Rick-sama is helpful as always
>>
File: manikin mask.jpg (157KB, 1237x1444px) Image search: [Google]
manikin mask.jpg
157KB, 1237x1444px
>>52277226
>Also I really did pick UL Warlock for flavor purposes
>when UL has zero flavour and has barely anything to do with warlocks themselves
>>
>>52275991
herooooo
>>
>>52277427
I think your picture sums things up pretty accurately.

Which is to say you *are* a threat to their well being, out of sheer stupidity.
>>
>>52277427
>warlock making a pact with a god
I don't think that's how warlocks work
>>
>>52277505
GOO specifically uses the term elder gods as an example.
>>
>>52277531
"Elder Gods" is specifically a Cthulhu Mythos term, they're not gods in the D&D sense.
>>
Is this a good place to ask how certain classes work in the rulebook? I'm playing a 5e Druid and there's something about their abilities that I'm not sure about.
>>
>>52277614
yes
>>
>>52277614
Well what is the ability and what is the problem?
>>
>>52277614
You've come to the right place. What's got you confused?
>>
File: map_tombofhorrors.jpg (2MB, 1920x1425px) Image search: [Google]
map_tombofhorrors.jpg
2MB, 1920x1425px
>>52277350
>the main problem, which is that the ranger died/got Voided.
You want to run Tomb of Horrors, and your problem is that a PC died?

Has anyone ever run White Plume Mountain? I am wondering if I can just shove it on an island somewhere, and ignore any neighboring communities to the dungeon.
>>
>>52275017
Are these brand-new, or are they reworks of traditions they've already posted?
>>
>>52277871
War Wizard is new, but Theurge appears to be unchanged.
>>
>>52277871
Literally just a repost of Theurgy unchanged, and a new War Mage.
>>
>>52275491
Motherfucker, they've been here longer than you have.
They've been here since the game started.
Some of them remember when you didn't need eight million options on your turn to have fun. (And they'll never fucking let us forget it, yeah, I know grandpa, I know about the goddamn Stairway to China and what fucking ever.)
Hell, honestly? They probably care for the game more than you do.
>>
File: map_wpmountain80.jpg (1MB, 1440x1257px) Image search: [Google]
map_wpmountain80.jpg
1MB, 1440x1257px
>>52277796
>>
>>52274648
one of my players wants to play ratfolk so I'm doing it as a modified kobold
>>
>>52277911
Why are you so defensive of filthy normalfags? You aren't one, right anon?
>>
>>52278005
Curb your autism, anon.
>>
>>52277640
>>52277641
>>52277643

I've been looking at the Wild Shape features, it states that an Archdruid (Level 20) can use Wild Shape an unlimited number of times. Does this mean that a Druid can remain in animal form indefinitely or are they still on the "half your level = hours transformed" rule but with more leniency? Dumb question I know.
>>
>>52278034
They still revert without another action, but can remain permanently in a shape by refreshing it with an action/bonus action before it expires.
>>
>>52278026
Not him but aren't the long rants based on little evidence usually the posts considered autistic?
Posts like >>52277911
>>
>>52278165
Whining about normies is the real autism.
>>
>>52275218
As someone unfamiliar with Curse of Strahd, I just wasn't sure if it was intended or not. He told me it was mandatory that the reincarnation was among the players, though it seems that was a lie.

Not much point sticking around if he is purposely being a creep and lying to force it.

Kinda lame.
>>
Not a chart, but let me see what I can whip up for numbers real quick.

Char level 11: Warcerer 2/9. This lets you have 20 Cha, EB, Devil's Sight (For the sake of argument), and agonizing blast. If average to hit is 65%:
>One shot is 1d10+5 with advantage is 9.75
>One shot is 1d10+1d6+5 with Hex is 9.55

Battle master fighter 11: Has to be variant human to have 20 dex, Crossbow Expert, and Sharpshooter, or wait til level 12. Assuming the same baseline for accuracy:
>One shot is 1d6+15 with power attack for 9.425

Round one:
>Quickened Darkness -> EB. 29.25
>Hex -> EB. 28.65
>Just fucking shoot. 37.7

Round two:
>QEB -> EB. 58.5
>QEB -> EB. 57.3
>Just keep shooting. 37.7

Darkness has to convert for more sorcery points after round 4. Darkness also just doesn't work against some enemies.

Hex has to reuse Hex on each new target, using round one damage, and has to convert for more sorcery points after four rounds of using quickened EBs.

In either case, has 9 sorcery points to start with, 5/12/9/6/6 more points from spell slots (total of 47) which is usually going to be enough through a day, though they can only stock enough for four rounds during one fight right now.

The battle master has 5 d10 superiority dice and an action surge each short or long rest.

That gives me an estimated matrix like:
Round ->
Total damage ->
1 2 3 4 5
>Darkness
29.25 87.75 146.25 204.75 234
>Hex
28.65 85.95 143.25 171.9 229.2
>Xbow+SS
37.7 75.4 113.1 150.8 188.5
>AS
65.975 103.675 141.375 179.075 216.775

I do believe using Superiority Dice on Precision Attacks will result in the BM having more total damage on any fight they care to use them for, though the daily totals are too close and too variable to be worth calculating.

Finally, the archer has much to gain from a magic weapon, while EB gains little benefit from a magic wand or rod.
>>
File: Bishop.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>52278005
>filthy normalfags
Aren't you special.
>>
>>52275152
Amazing.
>>
How much do the Adventurer's League modules overlap with the books?

For instance if I have a player who's played some AL stuff from SKT is that going to ruin SKT for her if/when I run it from the books? Or does it just depend on how many/which ones she played?
>>
>>52278328
ofc they're the same
wtf
>>
Since I fixed my School of War homebrew earlier, I figured I'll drop this here too in case anyone gets the itch to play a more balanced Loremaster(it's for Sorcerers).

If anyone has any better ideas for feature names let me know, I kinda drew blanks for FotW and Metamagician.
>>
Jesus the DnD Beyond forum is already a cesspool of whiny entitled manchildren.

Its a fucking beta. Of course they only have the SRD info ready to go.

Of course there is going to be come kind of subscription. Make your own info app if that's a problem. WotC is bound by honor code to distribute things to you for free? I'm not entitled to a Settlers of Catan multiplayer app for free because someone bought be the board game 6 years ago.

Who cares if it requires a Twitch account? Curse(Twitch) made the god damn thing. Make a burner account you fuck.
>>
>>52278232
It is lame and a shitty situation to be put in. What's worse is it didn't surprise me that someone had actually tried to do it.

Atleast you asked before it got really bad and can now bail or even better print it off and confront him on it.
>>
File: Hekaton.jpg (13KB, 150x182px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton.jpg
13KB, 150x182px
>>52278447
Stop shilling your homebrew.
>>
>>52274545
When will alchemy, crafting potions, tonics, tinctures, and explosions with a healthy overdose of magic and all those material listings become its own class? I know survival crafting is a vidya meme, but I really want to play a mad scientist who makes special quality ginseng
>>
>>52278472
Make me nerd.
>>
>>52278481
Artificer, is this a trick question?
>>
>>52278458
I saw it required the account and hopped off. Just personally don't like making accounts for things but I can understand why they make you and why the fuck do people think it should be free?

Looks like I should avoid all places talking about it as well.
>>
>>52275361
>It's made for people who play 5e because they want to hang out with their friends and drink beer with them at the table, but they don't want to learn the system too much.
So you mean the guys who dropped out of high school and insist they actually have a prescription for pot?
>>
>>52278504
I would have given it a pass as justanotherhomebrew.pdf but then you had to go and weeaboo the shit out of it.
>>
>>52278550
I dropped out, don't smoke pot and try to make my characters a healthy mix of system fuckery and roleplay. What does that make me?
>>
>>52278555
Get over it.
>>
>>52278524
Ah yes
>>
>>52278555
>weeaboo
>Slayers
Wew lad, 2/10 made me reply.
>>
File: 1 (YOU).jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1 (YOU).jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>52278555
>one image
>weeabooed the shit out of
>complaining about animu on 4chan
>>
>>52278228
I can see that.
>>
>>52278578
I don't care.
>>
>>52278555
pathfinder brought in all the faggots to our hobby
>>
>>52278578
A dropout
>>
File: White Mage.jpg (114KB, 383x924px) Image search: [Google]
White Mage.jpg
114KB, 383x924px
>>52274545
White Mages incoming.

Less broken than Theurges? I wonder.
>>
>>52278592
>he thinks a majority of people that use 4chan came here because of anime

stop it lol, you weebs really need to get over yourselves
>>
how is /5eg/ simultaneously both pro-and-anti-powergaming
>>
>>52278592
Let's be fair. It takes up like 30% of the page, and is also a pretty bad image at that.
Also anime is really bad.
>>
File: 593.png (27KB, 251x404px) Image search: [Google]
593.png
27KB, 251x404px
Alright guys, what's a good name for a dog that was adopted off the streets?

I choose Bark Rogers, but we have a week until it's finalized.
>>
>>52278624
Get over it.
>>
>>52278629
The Bark Knight
>>
>>52278622
pro because its fun to whip up crazy powergame builds

anti because if you actually use any of them in a real game (not online, with actual people) ur a faggot and probably will be laughed out of the game for being such a loser
>>
>>52278524
>artificer doesnt actually do any of those things
>for some reason you felt this was a reasonable answer
>>
>>52278643
I am. I gave up hope for anime long ago.
>>
>>52278617
Oh really? Reply to this if any single one of you truthfully havent seen a single anime episode, movie or read a manga, or fapped to hentai (2d and sfm), or played a nippon game with anime styled visuals even once?
>>
>>52278659
Then don't talk about it.
>>
I am interested in this autism, it sounds fun. However, I have never really played D&D or anything similar, how the hell do I get started
>>
>>52278654
Infuse magic on a vial of water lets you make potions and tonics.

Alchemist can throw exploding Fire bombs and Thunderstones.

It doesn't hav ingredients and shit because even if you think it's fun. It will overcomplicated stuff and ruin everyone else's fun.
>>
>>52278614
Nah.
>>
The whole thing could have been solved, if WotC had the foresight to include scratch-off serial keys in with the books that could be used to tie that purchase to any official WotC media. It would have solved the problem from day fucking one.

But, everyone bought those books knowing this wasn't the case. They expected WotC to magically credit those purchases to them every time they tie DnD to a 3rd party app developer.
>>
>>52278689
Read the rules from phb, watch YouTube videos of people playing to see how it operates. Make a character using the character sheet and find a game.
>>
>>52278689
That depends. Do you want to play in real life or on the internet?
>>
>>52278675
Japs is for killin back in the war, sonny boy.

>>52278689
You'll need a group of 3-5 friends, or autists you can find online. Then grab the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide from the MEGA in the OP of any /5eg/ thread. Finally, you'll need a few sets of polyhedral dice. Read the rules and you're good to go.
>>
>>52278705
That's the main reason in my opinion that it does cost, it's a third party developer who was promised some revenue for making and maintaining it for WotC.
>>
File: 1487096093353.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1487096093353.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>52278675
Not the guy you were talking to but actually yeah. I'm a furfag and used to also be into ponies but never anime or any of that.
>>
Am I the only person here that thinks it's not that big a deal for Theurgists to get their level 17 ability early since a) games rarely get to 14 anyways and b) most of the level 17 abilities are, quite simply, not as good as level 14 WIZ abilities?
>>
>>52278447
>>52278581
>>52278587
>>52278592
>>52278599
>>52278643
>>52278678

I'll give you this: At least it's not some mary-sue furry thing, but that's the lowest the bar goes anyway.
>>
>>52278750
Not exactly an improvement I feel, but interesting nonetheless.
>>
>>52278750
Furfag without anime styles drawings? You are a strictly western furfag? Thats disgusting
>>
>>52278750
>used to be into ponies
Once a horsefucker, always a horsefucker.
>>
>>52278765
Ok. Let's drop it, then.
>>
What's the largest party you feel is enjoyable?

I think six is my upper limit. Any more than that seems too unwieldy, both as a DM and as a player.
>>
>>52278675
not the point retard

a lot of people dont come to 4chan because they sit and think "hey i heard about this h*ckin cool anime forum, lets check it out and maybe give a few posts xd"

anime is mainstream as fuck, everyone has seen anime, but a majority of people arent obsessed weeaboo faggots like you and your gay lovers on /a/ that feel the need to put your cringe cartoons made for 10 year olds into everything
>>
>>52278447
I really want to fuck Lina
>>
>>52278788
Six is definitely the upper limit. I prefer 5, since then someone can be gone and the group can still play comfortably.
>>
>>52278760
No I agree. Also it's access to Cleric spells is limited heavily until higher levels where a focused Wizard can already do so much bullshit that being able to cast a few Cleric spells isn't that big of a deal.

>>52278768
Yeah, I'm kinda proud of myself for managing to be one of the few people n this website who can say it.

>>52278775
Western furfaggotism is great. Especially when your boyfriends an artist.

>>52278776
Don't even watch the show anymore but I was pretty fucking autistic. Once ran a 4e Pony game.
>>
>>52278791
Calm down.
>>
>>52278447
Frankly, the idea is something I find legitimately entertaining, but as an utter notice to the game, how is this?
>>
>>52278788
5 is my cap

3 is my preference
>>
>>52278788
8-12 people with a screen, projector, surround sound, good ambient music and live sound effects in addition to costumes, candle lighting and a huge ass table. My rich friend really, really likes to DM.
>>
>>52278788

Shit gets unmanageable past 5 players + DM for me.

I had to leave an online group once because there were TEN FUCKING PLAYERS, myself included.

Combat was a nightmare. Individualism was nonexistent.
>>
>>52278821
Well what's the notice?

All jokes aside it seems decent but as a beginner I'd stick to official stuff.
>>
>>52278472
>>52278555
>>52278581
>>52278592
>>52278599
>>52278617
>>52278643
>>52278659
>>52278675
>>52278678
>>52278726
>>52278750
>>52278765
>>52278775
>>52278776
Since people had problems with the picture I chose, I decided to change the picture to better match the theme. Is this better?
>>
>>52278826
Isn't 3 a bit lacking? I've always felt that 4 is the ideal.
>>
>>52278788
You need to set expectations when asking that question.

As a DM, know your table. It could be that everyone is just there to crack jokes, drink beer and eat snacks. If that's the case, having 6 players isn't a hurdle unless you're the only one taking the game seriously.

If you have 6 players who are all relatively new, but serious about the game, its a burden to have to stop to explain the rules 4 times a round.

6 Seriousbusiness.exe players who are here to GAME is more work, because they're all constantly challenging you to be creative, but perhaps more rewarding.
>>
>>52278788
I can't personally run more then 3-4 but I'm not a great DM. I prefer games I'm in as a player to be 4-5.
>>
>>52278791
A lot of people picked a stupid place to spend their time on then if they don't like chinese cartoons. Like going to a pub for lunch and complaining that everyone is drinking alcohol. Sure they serve food but they are still primarily there to sell booze.
>>
>>52278852
Much better, thank you Aziz.
>>
>>52278852
10/10 it's beautiful.
>>
>>52278852
Homebrew a shitaboo. Official stuff is 99.99% better if it exists
>>
>>52278852
I'm making it mandatory every PC in my game is a Sorcerer with this option.
>>
Best bet for a fistfighter with spells that isn't Four Elements Monk?
>>
>>52278901
Shadow monk.
>>
>>52278901
Mystic.

Other then that a Valor Bard Grappler can be decent.
>>
>>52278799
Lina is not for you
>>
>>52278853
our groups consisted of the same 4-5 people for the past 10+ years so i dont really like playing with anyone else
>>
>>52278901
Doesnt exist. DnD literally cannot make a good kung fu ki fighter like in the japanese/chinese old man with white beard sage dude living in the mountain and starving his apprentices. They are too scared of the weeaboo
>>
>>52278447
The homebrew itself is relatively decent, but I can't take it seriously because of the shitty animu character art.
>>
>>52278837
Novice. And frankly though, it just seems more...entertaining and more in line with my old Sorcerer's concept.
>>
>Firbolg 15, 8, 15, 10, 17, 8 (Assuming Point Buy)
>Fightman 2 (Action Surge, Heavy Armor, fighting style)
>Druid 1 (Thorn Whip, Shillelagh, Druid spells, Druidic)
>Arcana Cleric X (Booming Blade, Sword Burst as Arcana Cantrips)
>Fight with shield, heavy armor, and Shillelagh'd+WIS damage BoomBlade/Sword Burst for multiple enemies

Good or nah? Should I do only one level of Fighter?
>>
>>52277085
I'm 100% sure that there is a good reason for 5etools, but this is the first time I'm taking a look at it and I'm not understanding what the reason is. Can somebody fill me in?
>>
is the hexblade any good? anyone have experience playing one? my groups going to do a couple 1 shots testing UA material and i was thinking hexblade looked pretty sick
>>
>>52278982
Wouldn't a Human Arcana Cleric/Fighter be able to do the same thing and save a level?
>>
>>52278982
Why 15 str and 15 con?
Why not 16 str and 14 con?
>>
>>52279010
Its shit. Level 20 wizard always wins, always.
>>
>>52278950
just play a Mystic brah
>>
File: RLvPjKY.png (94KB, 349x585px) Image search: [Google]
RLvPjKY.png
94KB, 349x585px
>>52279013
Probably, but the theme is being a BIGLY YUGE tree knight (With more of a focus on spells than melee)

>>52279035
Because 15 STR is how much you need for heavy armor (without being dorf and/or slow), and the plan is to pump CON and WIS to 20 ASAP.
>>
>>52279067
What about a Primeval Ranger/Druid? Just if you want to be a big tree guy that is about as big and treey as it gets, because you become a tree.
>>
>>52279013
He wants Shillelagh I suppose

>>52279035
15 STR for armor, WIS to hit with shillelagh I assume
>>
>>52279010
They're fine, just decide whether you're doing a Charisma focused sword and board build, or a heavy weapon Strength build ahead of time.
>>
>>52279049
Make fists +1 buff for a few attacks with ki, maybe make it malleable, ie higher damage lesd attacks. Add in condition afflictive attacks, some movement buffs and then roleplay out the rest. That would fix the monk.
>>
>>52275361
I played Champion in one campaign because the DM went into a fit every time someone did anything other than "I attack." I quit after I realized it was only going to get worse.
>>
>>52279010

I'm playing a Cursebringer (str focused) hexblade and I'm loving it. It helps that I have a friendly wolf-totem barbarian so I get yuge crit smites all day
>>
>>52279067
Lowering STR and increasing DEX might be worth the penalty for not having enough heavy armor. DEX saves might be an issue.
>>
>>52279146
>dex saves
That guy who checks for traps constantly, and there is no traps, but when he forgets the DM suddenly has a trap there. Fuck that cancerous shit
>>
>>52278879
>>52278881
>>52278894
>>52278899
>>52278952
Sorry it took a little longer, had get the right size for the pictures. This better?
>>
>>52278929
Fuck off you fucking faggot.
Lina's fartbox shall be plundered by me and me alone.
>>
>>52279126
What was there to throw a fit about?
>>
>>52279184
Make me an overpowered monk that plays like an adhd melee caster
>>
>>52279184
10 claps out of 10 hamburgers.
>>
>>52279198
Maybe players were expecting mechanical benefits to their actions because they were describing certain events, and the DM didn't want to deal with it anymore?
>>
>>52278675
That has nothing to do with what he said you fucking retard.
>>
File: Reinhardt_greifhardt.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Reinhardt_greifhardt.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>52279086
Yeah it's funny, that UA came out after I had already finished this character.

What I was considering for that is Tree Ranger 3/Arcana Cleric X- however you don't get heavy armor and you'd need to spend one of your precious ASIs on Magic Initiate for Shillelagh/Thorn Whip.

>>52279146
To be honest no DEX is somewhat done for rp purposes as the character is a double amputee who can only move because they're fused to their wooden armor, I plan to ignore DEX saves in favor of tanking them (And maybe asking the DM to let me substitute CON saves to act as a wall so allies behind get a bonus to their saves instead)
>>
File: 0004834040_10.jpg (70KB, 496x499px) Image search: [Google]
0004834040_10.jpg
70KB, 496x499px
>>52278963
My freedom crusade aside, the other anon is right. You should stick to the official stuff first before getting your hands dirty with homebrew and unearthed arcana content. After trying it a bit, then talk with your DM about whether or not you can use homebrew.
>>
>>52279184
>you gain proficiency in the lying skill
I laughed.
>>
>>52275218

I think a dude in the previous thread pointed out all the problems that results from making a PC Tatyana, though it was handled much better.

> 52271757
>>
>>52279301
Probably being I've only had a total of four sessions across two campaigns, the DMs keep cancelling because of other shit. I can't GET the proper experience in the first place.
Two sessions with a Dragon Sorc, two sessions with a homebrew Wizard thing because I was forced in to being the utility bitch AND ranged damage.
>>
File: Lina.Inverse.full.1965620.jpg (931KB, 657x1235px) Image search: [Google]
Lina.Inverse.full.1965620.jpg
931KB, 657x1235px
>>52279411
Did you get a game in the gamefinder thread? Did you try reddit?

Honestly, Sorcs are just bad wizards in the end anyway. The homebrew I made wasn't really entirely mine to begin with, I just took the Lore master wizard and gave it to Sorcerers because I felt like the theme fit better. I did add a few things in myself though, since Sorcerers have more level features.
>>
>>52276549
>>52276839
They added "Any cleric spell you gain from this feature is considered a wizard spell for you" to arcane initiate.
>>
>>52279411
I don't know why but 5e legitimately feels like the least played edition of D&D despite being one of the best selling, and roll20 confirms that basically zero DM's want to run 5e but tons of players want to play.

I regularly see 3.5e groups that don't suffer from this problem.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>52279447
>Sorcs are just bad wizards

Eh. Twin Haste, Twin Enhance Ability, Twin Enlarge. Not much like that.
>>
>>52279198
When the monk tried to use Stunning Fists against a single enemy without Legendary Resistances, she complained that he was trivializing her encounters. When the Druid tried to cast Geas, she had the target auto-succeed then said "don't do that again. I'm not going to let you have a minion." The Druid explained that he just wanted the guy to do some community service to reflect on his actions, but she wasn't having it. When my Champion tried to Disengage from an enemy, she said "you don't know how to disengage!" Apparently she was just fine with having Magic Item shops in her setting. There were also other things not worth mentioning. I tried pointing out in the core rulebooks and game designer quotes online on how the game is supposed to be balanced, but to no avail. I've tolerated half-assed DMs before, but this one was just a too stubborn. Why am I complaining on 4chan? You guys know better than me.
>>
>>52279572
Being a Haste-bot isn't that good mr 15 spells ever.
>>
>>52279572
Which could be replicated with a new archetype. My point is Sorcs need a little love, and giving them a more balanced Lore master is a start(which is why I made the homebrew).
>>
>>52279602
>"you don't know how to disengage!"
Jesus
>>
>>52279606
Its not that great, but its certainly enough to dispel the idea that they're bad wizards. A caster's Concentration spell is generally his single biggest contribution to the party.

Only thing I don't get is why their list was depleted by comparison to the 3e sorc, but oh well, its livable.
>>
>>52279602
Why does she even DM?
>>
>>52279602
>I'm not going to let you have a minion
>a single enemy without Legendary Resistances
>you don't know how to disengage!
How utterly garbage.
>>
>>52279602
Was it her first adventure?
>>
>>52279657
I agree that is separates them from wizards, but IMO sorcerers are pretty crippled by a # of spells known that basically makes them one trick ponies.
>>
>>52275836
Remember, they only get non-domain cleric spells at level 11+.
>>
File: kimura.jpg (37KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
kimura.jpg
37KB, 500x373px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/rules.html#Madness

Alright, made the rules layout better. I plan on adding the non-SRD rules from the PHB along with the DMG variant rules in over time. If anyone wants to go to the Github, check out the data layout, add them in, and do a pull request... that'd be super helpful.
>>
>>52279697
If you have all of your domain spells, you can add ANY cleric spell.
>>
File: 1480652693403.png (233KB, 540x721px) Image search: [Google]
1480652693403.png
233KB, 540x721px
>>52279602
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>52279447
Aren't sorcerers better for damage? I'm not saying damage is better than control or anything, just if you want to play something that just zaps the shit out of people with different spells, sorcerer seems like a better way to go
>>
File: 8c4.jpg (13KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
8c4.jpg
13KB, 640x480px
Hey guys?

Is there any downside to picking Theurgist over a Cleric? Any at all?
>>
>>52279734
Good stuff anon, I really appreciate what you do.

>>52279763
The only time I'd ever say Sorcerer is better for damage is when they've multiclassed with Warlocks. Otherwise they're pretty even with wizards.
>>
>>52279693

Sure, they're one trick ponies, but being twice as good as other casters at the stuff that actually matters is one hell of a trick.

Double Greater Invisibility is also crazy.
>>
Got a question. I playing with a group of friends and I want to sort of test out some combat ideas. I was thinking of making a bunch of pre built characters (they choose one they like) and having take part in a raid of sorts on a fort or something. That way, no feelings get hurt if a character dies.

It's not that I don't want them to have a second of third character, it's mostly so we don't have to spend half the night building new chapters.

Anyone done something like this before? I'm pretty new to DMing and I am trying to make for interesting encounters but I don't want to TPK them after they have spent the last 3 months playing their characters.
>>
>>52279788
No heavy armor proficiencies, you don't get a lot of the tasty Cleric abilities, d6 hit die, you get all your abilities several levels late (Except the last one)

Think of Theurgy as a Priest class rather than a Cleric and it fits better.

Squishy Priest- Theurgy
Middle of the road divine dude- Cleric
Beefy Fightman of God- Paladin
>>
>>52279763
There doesn't seem to be anything damage-ey about sorcerers. They're just metamagic guys (basically polar opposite of 3e)
>>
>>52279788
Weapon and armour proficiency, HP, not gaining full access to spells and not having the ability to choose any spell off your class each day.
>>
Anyone find it weird Death Clerics get the ability to Twin Chill Touch but are meant to be weapon Clerics?
>>
>>52279744
Yes, but you can't add Insect Plague, a 5th level cleric domain spell to your spell book until 9th level.

And you can only add one cleric spell per level starting at level 2, so 11th level gets you your last domain spell assuming you took a domain spell every possible level, meaning the first non-domain spell you get is at earliest, 12th level.
>>
>>52279670
She's been playing D&D for years, but this was her first time as a DM. I only joined in after the game had already been running for a few months. You would think that she would be more experienced by then, but no. Why it took so long for the idea to creep into my mind that it wasn't going to get better is beyond me. It might be because every DM I've ever had has been crazy in one way or another. Since the experience I've abstained from participating in any new games as player.
>>
>>52278698
my group is using homebrew that lets us gather ingredients and craft things and everyone is having fun with it making potions and bombs and poisons
you can sit still for a minute while someone rolls a d20 once or twice and makes a note on their sheet

there doesn't need to be a crafting class, there needs to be more craftable items and rules for crafting that can actually be used in the time frame of a game takes place in and not
>haha just spend two entire weeks making a single bottle of borderline useless shit bro, what's the problem i thought you wanted to craft

and the artificer is trash for someone who actually wants to use items and not cast magic spells that are refluffed as items that you pull from a bag and then disappear immediately
>>
File: Janeway.gif (31KB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
Janeway.gif
31KB, 266x200px
>you get loads of cleric stuff but also all base wizard stuff
>you get access to all cleric spells
>you get channel divinity - whoops! Channel "arcana" ;^)
>oh and at 14th level you gain the benefits of being a 17th level cleric, except for spell slots

What the actual fuck.
>>
>>52279788
Though you get their capstone earlier, all their other class features come later. Hope you like waiting until level 6 to gain cleric's level 1 feature!
>>
>>52279833
I just don't get why they gave Sorcerers nothing for a short rest. You need to get to level 20? Just for 4 points an hour? You can't even get a fireball from that. Wizards can recover some lower level spells much earlier, and Warlocks recover all non-arcanum slots.
>>
>>52279788
>>52279885

Should read >>52279870 you get your domain spells then 8 Clerics spells of your choice from 12-20. No where near as bad as everyone say.
>>
File: theurgy.jpg (6KB, 188x158px) Image search: [Google]
theurgy.jpg
6KB, 188x158px
>>52279885
Yeah really, they have the best of both worlds.
Its the Tuvix of wizards
>>
>>52279867
I'd say it's more like them having a reliable ranged attack in addition to being beefy than them being a dedicated "close range" cleric.
>>
>>52279890
>Hope you enjoy a little wait on what is essentially having two classes fused in one mega-class

I'm all right with that
>>
File: uh huh yeah, yeah.jpg (30KB, 700x530px) Image search: [Google]
uh huh yeah, yeah.jpg
30KB, 700x530px
>>52279921
God damn you.
>>
>>52279892
Yeah, putting sorcery point recharging at level 20 is odd.
>>
>>52279929
They're not really beefy though. They don't even get Heavy Armour like other melee Clerics.

Still not as cucked as the Trickery ones though.
>>
>>52279956
No idea what's possibly wrong with Trickery. Assortment of some of the best spells in the game from other classes, and a way to deliver touch spells without dying.
>>
>>52279763
I think the advantage is more sustained casting.
Convert your sorc points into spells, and trade in low level spells to let out a good big one again.

I can't think of anything that directly relates to outright more damage, outside I guess empowered and heightened spell.
>>
>>52279977
The main issue I see is it chews up Channel Divinity and it should get Martial Weapons.

Just adding the weapons on makes it much better though.
>>
>>52279956
That's kinda what I mean, they're like a middle of the road Cleric- after all, you still get medium armor and shields so you're hardly "squishy", you get mini-smites in melee, and double chill touch for some ranged ability
>>
File: birthrightcombat.gif (3MB, 278x300px) Image search: [Google]
birthrightcombat.gif
3MB, 278x300px
CEASE TALKING ABOUT OVERPOWERED WIZARD ARCHETYPES AND BAN ALL WIZARD-BASED UA
DISCUSS HOW THE UPCOMING 5E RENDITION OF BIRTHRIGHT WILL IMPROVE OUR LIVES IMMENSELY
>>
>>52280013
Birthright is never coming back.
>>
>>52280013
Lore Wizard looks fun and I look forward to playing one
>>
>>52279994
>it chews up channel divinity

What?
>>
>>52280025
Lore Wizard should just be a Sorcerer archetype and you know it.
actually, it should be a sorcerer standard, minus the "change the saves" bullshit which will never be balanced
>>
>>52279998
Kinda awkward when I realised the mini-smite works with a Longbow. 2d8+X to one guy seems better then two 1d8's.

>>52280028
I think he means it's features are all Channel Divinity and a stealth buff to someone else.
>>
>>52280040

>>52278447
>>
>>52280013
Birthright elves were dope as fuck. No aging? No wizard cap? No difficult terrain? Godly.

On the other hand, the domain stuff was horrendously fucking time consuming.
>>
File: 1378867249086.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1378867249086.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>52274545
>tfw actually finished the entire survey, made detailed comments for everything, and included a tierlist with an explanation because providing comments for each discipline was physically impossible in the space provided
>tfw I do this knowing they ignore all comments, and will have a machine increase all the die sizes by 1 on anything with a sub 50% approval rating
>>
>>52279885
>>52279952
stop posting goat voice garbage
>>
>>52279870
If you have the arcana domain, you can add wizard spells and complete the domain list that way.

Though that'd be a bit of a weird thing to do in the first place.

It did seem like it was meaning 'You can add the 1st level domain spells, then first level cleric spells if you have those domain spells' but I guess it doesn't say that at all, and the limiitation on cleric spells for all but something like arcana cleric or trickery or something similar would limit you.

Seems odd, though, that it goes from 'Okay, domain spells only' to 'Okay, any cleric spell' at the point where it matters most at the end where only someone who dedicates themself to a class usually gets those spells.
>>
>>52280062
If they have any competent programmers at all, they'll flag surveys with likelihood of containing useful comments-.
>>
>>52280114
>Wotc
>competent programmers
Hello newfriend!
>>
>>52280062
this gif actually made me feel really sad
>>
>>52280134
Maybe I'm naive, but I still hope there's a poor soul hidden there that sometimes slips in something smart.
>>
Is Wotc just the table top equivalent to Valve?
>>
>>52280159
Well considering WotC is actually making games still no
>>
>>52280159
WotC actually makes games and products, not just a platform to sell other people's games on.

Though I guess WotC has that with DMs Guild anyway.
>>
>>52280159
No that would be Games Workshop.

Wizards is kinda like Bioware, desperately attempting to stay relevant by beating a couple of franchises into the ground and running expensive advertisement campaigns (ever wondered why tons of youtubers who had never played a tabletop before suddenly did multiple videos on 5e and MtG?)
>>
> War Wizard
> AC and Concentration bloat
Who designed this shit? Isn't it against the philosophy of 5e with so many number just floating around?
>>
>>52278952
It's well drawn character art. You're like an obstinate old person complaining that rock is shit because you don't like that Elvis has an obnoxious fangroup.
>>
>>52280197
Big youtubers did vids on 5e? I never saw any.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12574247

Poll for the new UA.
>>
File: rincewind.jpg (31KB, 200x600px) Image search: [Google]
rincewind.jpg
31KB, 200x600px
>>52276902
>>
>>52280257
CinnamonToastKen and Pewdiepie, Node and Yogscast's are pretty big, right?
>>
>>52280318
I knew the yogscast, although I thought they just genuinely wanted to, but I never saw pewds or ken do it.
>>
>>52280369
>I never saw pewds or ken do it.

They do this shitty podcast and they played D&D one time.
>>
>>52280260

where's the "I can't believe they released another fucking wizard UA" option?
>>
>>52280369
The yogscast did a bunch of tabletop games before their current series (and I think they mentioned using pathfinder for at least one of them) so yeah I think they did start cause they wanted to.
>>
File: 1480008713257.jpg (15KB, 236x243px) Image search: [Google]
1480008713257.jpg
15KB, 236x243px
I don't really watch much anime, but I have to say, Western fantasy has traditionally been full of hilariously ugly artwork. 5e is probably the first edition I actually like more than 5% of the art for, even if some of it is still horrendous; it's better than the mannish women with 80s hair of yesteryear.

>>52277986
That's rough. Kobold is the worst race in the whole game. It could be redeemed by subrace options, but as is, it's pretty much garbage.
>>
>>52280369
Most of their tabletop videos were sponsored, although Lewis loves to get into his RP so I wouldn't be surprised if he did some YogsQuests just because he wanted to. High Rollers is definitely something they did just because they wanted to though.
>>
>>52280420
i think hobgoblins far worse
>>
File: dri.png (347KB, 475x761px) Image search: [Google]
dri.png
347KB, 475x761px
> Drizzt
> Level 19
> Proficiency +5
> 45 HP
What did they mean by this?
>>
File: Artificer.pdf (187KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Artificer.pdf
187KB, 1x1px
so a lad wants to play artificer. I'm reviewing it now but it seems like they just get too many things. The (large) cr2 creature they get compared to the ranger's (medium) cr 1/4 creature.

They get five free artifacts for leveling up, with the bag of holding being received as early as level 2. Their alchemist advancement lets them shit out healing potions,grenades,hastes and slows from their bag of infinite ingredients. Then there's the Gunsmith which is basically "I don't have to make attack rolls, suck on this infinite (*40 bullets per long /10 per short rest) ammo aoe+disengage". Then there's the spell list, which is mostly good.

the only real downfall I'm seeing to any of it seems to be "if your toy gets broken or lost, you can remake it as long as you have a nice chunk of gold and the time for a short/long rest"

am I being retarded? am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Please advise. I feel like this might invalidate two of my players, one being a ranger and the other a cleric. Especially during the early stages of the game.
>>
>>52280604
anything that isnt in a published book is usually too strong or too weak
>>
>>52280604
Artificer is actually fine. A bit on the weak side, but fine.
>>
>>52280604
You're overestimating it. It does need polishing for sure, but it's not OP in my experience. Also, the large CR 2 creature doesn't get any extra scaling or benefits, unlike a ranger's companion.
>>
>>52280604
the cr2 creature is good at the level they get it but it won't scale at all.

They get magic item in place of actual class feature. That one is fine.

Healing is once per target per day.
Grenade are their main method of attack and it's just sneak attack without modifier.
Swift Step and Tanglefoot are just once per combat.

Why are you worry about 7 average damage AoE at level 9 or 14 average damage at level 14? Fighter can just use Extra Attack and do like 50 damage to each target at that level.
>>
>>52280650
>>52280654
>>52280690
>>52280729
alright, thanks anons. I figured I was overreacting.
>>
>>52280604
>The (large) cr2 creature they get compared to the ranger's (medium) cr 1/4 creature.
It never scales.

>They get five free artifacts for leveling up
This is directly worse depending on how many magic items you give your players. Just like every 'You weapon becomes a +X magic weapon' abilities.

>healing potions
Once per person per LONG rest, and only one potion can exist at a time.

>grenades
You think Artificer shouldn't even have a cantrip?

>hastes and slows
You mean longstriders, and spike growths without the damage, once per minute (fight)?

>Then there's the Gunsmith which is basically "I don't have to make attack rolls, suck on this infinite (*40 bullets per long /10 per short rest) ammo aoe+disengage"
You're doing 2d6 instead of 6d6 at that level, and they take nothing on a success, and don't move.

Tell me, have you made any other changes to your game based on balance?
>>
>>52280486
Really? Everything good the Kobold gets is then cancelled out by something detrimental. +2 DEX, -2 STR. Pack Tactics, Sunlight Sensitivity. They're acceptable in specific situations, but in general ones, they're pretty much bad at everything except being little. They pretty much can't play a heavy martial, at all, but you don't want them far from the party, either.

Hobgoblins aren't bad, they're just counter-intuitive. +2 CON is good on everything (except maybe a Ranger), Saving Face is fine, and Martial Training is a waste on the kind of character you'd expect to play, but it opens up areas for casters, maybe gishes.

It seems to me like Kobolds can really only play a couple classes, otherwise they're shit, while Hobgoblins are acceptable at everything, but surprisingly good at certain casters.
>>
Guys, any ideas on how to make gnomes less fucking ridiculous in a setting that's supposed to be a little more somber than the PHB's suggested ones?

I mean, I've been working around fine with the other races so far to make all of it a little less goofy, but one of my players unexpectedly wants to roll a gnome and it really threw me off. I really don't want to ban the race, so any ideas are deeply appreciated.
>>
My GM is running Curse of Strahd soon.

Though I heard it was difficult, I still want to build a somewhat silly character:

>Human Cleric
>Knowledge Domain
>Hermit
>Linguist Feat

Basically I want to run a bit of a "smartest man alive" type character for a few cheap laughs, given that I will know 7 non-common languages in addition to those proficiency bonuses.

I am a relatively inexperienced player and I was wondering if I will be fine running this gimmick, or if the difficulty level will make my non-optimal build a drag on the party, because that is the last thing I want.

I don't mind being a supportive heal/skill monkey in combat, as long as I am not jeopardizing the experience as a whole.
>>
>>52281166
Use only deep gnomes, make them better at technology than Dwarves, but be extremely xenophobic but not so much so that they kill everyone else on sight.
>>
>>52281202
So make them the underdark equivalent of post-1980's Japan.
>>
>>52281222
I guess yeah, it seems somber to me, and you can have gnomes without resorting to normal ridiculous surface gnome bullshit.
>>
>>52281189
I do not advise you running this gimmick, at least in Curse of Strahd. There are two reasons for that.
1) You are a cleric, and you have Comprehend Languages as a spell.
2) Unless my memory fails me, foreign languages never come up in Curse of Strahd. You'll have no opportunities to show off your gimmick anyway.
>>
>>52281189
You probably won't see much benefit from speaking all these languages in this story because it is such a compact setting, but a cleric in a module with lots of undead will be useful, no matter how much you put into flavour things.
I'd say go for it, being an investigative professor type fits the horror genre, and you'll know all the secret techniques to ward off monsters.
>>
>>52281238
New thread.
>>
File: indeed.jpg (31KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
indeed.jpg
31KB, 720x479px
>>52280497
>Design the Ranger class entirely to ape Drizzt
>Still have to multi-class in order to represent him
>Is more fighter than Ranger
>>
>>52282220
Go read the books again, he started out as and was originally trained as fighter, then multiclassed into Ranger, the class was designed to "ape" as you put it, Aragorn, and always will be.
Thread posts: 367
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.