[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 369
Thread images: 34

File: food.jpg (176KB, 900x623px) Image search: [Google]
food.jpg
176KB, 900x623px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Food and provisions
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>52163931

No point in OP question on the arcana day.
>>
File: 1420552606201.jpg (4KB, 141x89px) Image search: [Google]
1420552606201.jpg
4KB, 141x89px
W H E N B I N D E R
>>
>>52166498
Binder would not fit 5e. However, warlord when?
>>
>>52166451
>No point in OP question on the arcana day.
Since OP didn't make a question, I will:

>Do you think the Mystic is balance? What would you change?
>>
>>52166520
>Binder would not fit 5e.
Why wouldn't they?
>However, warlord when?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12523063
>>
>>52166547
Probably the biggest knock I have against the Mystic is that it's nova at level 10 can be a bit too strong, but they can only do it twice a long rest at that level.

At later levels they can nova a couple more times, but it probably won't compete with the novas or consistent DPR from some of the other martial classes (Fighter, Paladin, UA Ranger).

As things stand, I think I'd allow it at my table, but give the player a heads up that things are subject to change, being playtest material after all.
>>
>>52166585
>Why wouldn't they?
Great Old One patron.
>>
So can we all officially declare the day in which today's UA actually gets into a book the point where fifth edition jumped the shark?
>>
>>52166547
>>Do you think the Mystic is balance? What would you change?
Fuck naw senpai.

Honestly I'd tone down all the options it gives per discipline. They've got way too much versatility.
>>
>>52166520
Screaming at people so loud they come back to life.
>>
>>52166594
>Deep stalker ranger is winning
Woah
>>
>>52166596
They can nova three times at 10th, with only 1 psi point left over. If you're talking about the Animate Weapon nova, that is.

There's only five, ten hit points worth of damage between the nova at 10th level and the nova at 20th level.
>>
>>52166594
Hunter is so boring how can people even like it?
>>
File: rangers.png (22KB, 659x378px) Image search: [Google]
rangers.png
22KB, 659x378px
>>52166594
Am I doing it right?
>>52166606
>Great Old One patron.
Not only they're completely not related thematically (even Undying would fit better), the mechanics are vastly different.
Also you don't see people complaining about the fact that Ancient paladins, druids, feylocks, rangers and nature priests share pretty much the same source of power.
>>
They should just stagger out the Mystic more. It's not really unbalanced at top tiers, but it's a very front-loaded class.

Stagger it out more, and Mystic is much better.
>>
>>52166637
Because it's the goodest.
>>
>>52166637
Probably because there's only two official archetypes, and of the two hunter was the better one for a long time.

Also a lot of people don't like having to deal with a companion. Players and DMs alike.

Also hunter multiclasses better.
>>
Reminder if you want to play any race or class outside of core content you're a shitty player and GMs hate you
>>
>>52166640
Vestiges are some weird shit beyond the typical boundaries of space and time, GOO are some weird shit beyond the typical boundaries of space and time.

If Avatar Mystic's a suitable Warlord, then GOOlock is a suitable Binder.
>>
>>52166451
I don't believe this is correct at all. Why do they lie?
>>
File: implying.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>52166652
>>
I wish they'd made the Knife Asshole and the elemental disciplines monk subclasses instead. The mystic steps on a lot of toes but the monk has just been completely outclassed
>>
>>52166629
Even then, you're talking about needing to "buff up" before the hit occurs, spending a bonus action to dump Psi Points into your weapon before going in with your attacks.

This isn't like the Paladin that can go, "oh, I hit? Well, eat a shit ton of radiant damage." If the Mystic's weapon strikes miss they just blew their load.
>>
>>52166451
You got me, you genius bastard.
>>
>>52166652
Ah cool, so Yuan-ti from Volo are fine then? :^)
>>
>>52166652
Joke's on you my DM's Guild Shaman Class is a fucking hit with my DM.
>>
>>52166676
This. Gonna be putting this into the survey.
>>
>>52166707
>Shaman
>when druid is the same shit
>>
>Nomadic Arrow
>Sharp Shooter
>>
>>52166688
That's the downside, yes. Therefore, there needs to be some synergy in the party to give the Mystic advantage whenever they're going to pull off their Lethal-Strike-Animate-Weapon-Knock-Back combo.

To be honest, this makes the Mystic extremely likely to be overpowered in casual gaming groups, due to the fact that they're massively powerful at 10th level but their progress plateaus out on the road to 20th. 10th-15th is the point where most campaigns come to a natural conclusion.
>>
>>52166594
Good to see Deepstalker's winning. It's the right mix of mechanics and flavor I'd like to see from more UA, even though it does feel a bit like "Abilities Drizzt kinda had".
>>
How do you do warlocks in a setting where higher powers aren't probably real?

Eg; clerics find themselves imbued with a certain extra power, but whether it's from actual faith or from their own abilities and spirit is unclear.
>>
>>52166805
Warlocks get their power from pacts with tangible, very real entities of high power that they're in a very distant relationship with - and likely as one of many warlocks bound to them.

If you've got powerful fiends, powerful fey and powerful aberrations in your setting, you can have warlocks. If you don't, then way more than just warlock ceases to work.
>>
>>52166805
Make em lower powers that need the warlock more than warlock needs them.
>>
I don't know why even bother since everyone's talking about the new UA anyway, but I need help.

One of my players couldn't make it to today's session and their character got separated from the party after falling into a deep pit. So a couple of days from now I'll run a one-on-one session for the first time, to go over what happened with them. How do I go about this? And what the hell would be lurking in a network of tunnels deep below a yuan-ti lair?
>>
File: 1464377855079.jpg (84KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1464377855079.jpg
84KB, 600x600px
>>52166793
Honestly I just like it since it's the best for building a character to go with https://youtu.be/999RqGZatPs
>>
>>52166805
the warlock is insane and thinks he's talking to demons and shit but is actually just a goth wizard
>>
>>52166676
Point me to how the mystic surpases the monk in unarmed damage and stun
>>
>>52166768
And I'm fine with there being synergy in a group to let the Mystic nova at 10th level, especially when the Mystic might be needing to do more heavy-lifting in the DPR area than the other members of the group, which fill in the tank, healer, and buff/debuff.

For example, a group makeup of Paladin, Mystic, Cleric, Ranger, can probably do fine for tankiness and survivability, but might be lacking in some damage.
>>
>>52166850
Snek stuff. What class is he? If it's a Fighter or Paladin or whatever then make it snek pit fight, Rogue should be a trap filled vault or something and a Wizard should have some interesting information or a spell given to him.

All about tailoring it to his character.
>>
>>52166844
>>52166845
None of those things are really accessible.

>>52166859
This might work.
>>
>>52166897
You're better off finding a system that's designed for low magic then, because D&D usually operates on the assumption that fey and fiends exist.
>>
>>52166888
Paladin. There's also a cool magical weapon somewhere down there.
>>
>>52166923
The Yuan-ti could have been using the tunnels to dump dead bodies. It's turned into a rot infested cave of undead.

Another option is the Yuan-ti have some kind of deal with a Fiend living down there.
>>
>>52166915
D&D can work fine without them being overt, it just requires a little tailoring.
>>
So do wizards inverse actually have daily charges to spells and such? I don't think the memory thing is still canon now but I dont know.
>>
>>52166879
The issue is that the Mystic can't invest many psi points into DPR, otherwise it loses out on the number of times it can nova per long rest. This means it would be forced to rely on either weapon attacks as either an Immortal, Soul Knife or Nomad - or psionic talent attacks as an Avatar, Awakened or Wu Jen.
>>
>>52167005
>wizards inverse
???
>>
New player here the beast master ranger in the phb seems to be that my pet attacks in my stead where the revised one doesn't seem to limit such a thing is that correct?
>>
>>52163739

Never, because the peasants would simply die of dragonfire.
>>
>>52167022
That is correct, because the PHB Beastmaster was shitty.
>>
>>52167017
in universe
>>
>Be Immortal Mystic
>In combat
>Feel like doing a Mighty Leap
>Wizard casts Jump
>Use 7 Psi Points to Jump 420 feet away.
>Wave goodbye to my party knowing they are all about to die.
>>
File: 1305531637180.jpg (32KB, 400x614px) Image search: [Google]
1305531637180.jpg
32KB, 400x614px
What's the best way to DPR Rogue?

MC Champion 3-5 and try to critfish for double sneak attack?
Shield Master instead to create your own advantage with Expertise in Athletics?
Crossbow Expert and Hand Crossbow and find ways to get ranged advantage?
>>
>>52166952
All of those sound like good ideas. Any idea what kind of monster (probably a Demon) I could throw at a solo level 9 paladin with a good amount of their resources already used?
>>
>>52166676
>The mystic steps on a lot of toes but the monk has just been completely outclassed

Nice meme friendo. Got anything to back it up other than "muh empty emotional display?"
>>
File: Gunterlikeshakespeare.jpg (134KB, 856x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Gunterlikeshakespeare.jpg
134KB, 856x1045px
>>52166978
Pacts can be immensely powerful while still being subtle.
>>
Has anyone found any other decent damage-dealing or is the Animate Weapon combo the best that Mystic has?
>>
>>52166878
>monks are just a stun gun
why would i want to play this class
that's such a lame role
a one trick pony
if i want to shut down enemies it's better to be a caster and have a lot of options for it or a barbarian/rogue multiclass and grapple everything that i shove prone
>>
File: Lina.png (1MB, 747x1504px) Image search: [Google]
Lina.png
1MB, 747x1504px
>>52167017
>>
>>52167062
Half-orc bararogue
>always sneak attack
>>
>>52167005
>>52167044
In 3.5 it was explicit canon, but I don't think that's explicit in 5e.

5e uses forgotten realms, so spell slots and levels are basically how Mystra currently quantizes the power levels of the weave.
>>
>>52167065
Babau = hard fight.
>>
>>52167044
Why the fuck did they think a bite would be as good as a weapon
>>
>>52166768
>Lethal-Strike-Animate-Weapon-Knock-Back combo.
As a player I could never see myself abusing this. I'm all for combining stuff for synergy, cool abilities, and effectiveness, but it's such a potentially powerful combination that I'd feel wrong if I used more than once in a blue moon. Hell with my Take 2 Mystic I still hold back Lethal Strike more often than I probably should have.
>>
File: 1465793677695.jpg (94KB, 632x629px) Image search: [Google]
1465793677695.jpg
94KB, 632x629px
>>52166676
>lightsaber jedi
>reality-benders
>monks
>>
>>52166609
The mystic has a lot of versatility and a good potential nova, but I honestly don't think it's overpowered unless a player really, really goes out of their way to abuse it.
>>
>>52167065
A Babau or Shadow Demon if the player's reasonably good and still has Smites left.

Personally I'd make a Shadow Demon that's playing with him through out the caves.
>>
File: black company.jpg (51KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
black company.jpg
51KB, 540x360px
What do you guys think about a game centered around being a mercenary company / party?

I have a hankering to DM a sword and sorcery campaign after I started reading Black Company.
>>
>>52167131
It relies on an attack roll to do 14d10 damage and a strength save after that to do an additional 7d6 damage, at the cost of a huge amount of the Mystic's resources. Add on the weapon damage, the discipline attack modifier damage and the potent psionics damage and you've barely over a hundred damage against a single target. Not to mention it uses up your action, your bonus action and your reaction.

It's balanced.
>>
Thinking of Dipping one level of Monk on my Wood Elf Ranger. Is getting a better AC and a bonus action attack worth one level?
>>
Someone should make a table of comparable abilities within the Disciplines so we can point out the blatant power spikes if they exist.
You know, like how Ant-Man spends 5 points and a reaction to automatically avoid a hit and move 5 feet, while THE FORTRESS spends 2 and reaction to impose disadvantage and still damage spike the attacker if it lands.
>>
>>52167164
>Black Company
>Sword and Sorcery
not quite
>>
>>52167180
To get that bonus action attack, you'd be forced to use a shortsword or handaxe to fight, and be barred from wearing armor.
You're going to have far more AC using actual armor and be able to use ranged weapons or a rapier and shield.
>>
>>52167180
Does it really matter? I doubt a single-class ranger is the most optimal thing in the world anyway.
>>
>>52167200
Aw fuck forgot I couldn't use my Rapier with it. Might go for Rogue then because I really don't feel like it makes much sense to keep taking levels in Ranger.

We as an expedition in the Underdark and so I made a Deepstalker as the party guide and now we've gone back to the surface. Plus getting the Bonus action hide quicker would be fun considering enemies Darkvision has no effect on my hiding.
>>
File: HE'S FAST.png (447KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
HE'S FAST.png
447KB, 650x488px
>Swashbuckler Rogue
>Bring your DEX and CHA to 18, +4 initiative from each
>Alert feat, another +5 to initiative
>Mystic with Precognition Discipline, advantage on initiative rolls
>Use Danger Sense, get another +10 to initiative
By level 8, a Level 5 Mystic/Level 3 Rogue can have a +23 Initiative with advantage. Before even rolling.

They will never NOT go first.
>>
>>52167186
There's >>52165046 from a thread or two ago. But it's a little bare bones.

The only obvious one is that Brute Strike is just plain bad when compared to Lethal Strike. Both require a bonus action, both cause additional damage when you make a successful melee attack. But Brute Strike is 1d6 per psi of whatever damage type you used in the attack, while Lethal Strike is 1d10 psychic damage per psi. I don't quite get why anyone would use Brute Strike, unless they've got the Brute Force discipline while lacking the Psionic Weapon discipline.
>>
>>52167249
>not balanced for multiclassing

>not balanced at all
>>
>>52167186
One that stands out immediately is Corrosive Touch is infinitely better than Bestial Claws.

Same PP cost, same damage scale with PP, only CT gets halved damage on Dex save, where BC is all or nothing.

Doesnt count resistance or immunity.
>>
>>52167297
Bestial Claws is a melee weapon attack, Corrosive Touch isn't. There's lots of things that have synergy with melee weapon attacks. You can't use Brute/Lethal Strike or Knock Back in conjunction with Corrosive Touch.

But Animated Weapon is definitely better than Bestial Claws.
>>
>>52167166
It's definitely balanced, but I'm in a party of all martial classes so my higher damage out put worries my first time DM sometime
>>
Dessicate affects undead and constructs? That ain't right.
>>
File: 1452046395068.jpg (369KB, 1183x2100px) Image search: [Google]
1452046395068.jpg
369KB, 1183x2100px
From initial introduction to my players, they are extremely attracted to the Mystic. Several who have only enjoyed martials in the past have immediately attached themselves to it. What I wonder is, why? None of them care enough to chargen/powergame. Spells can recreate practically any of their effects. What about this makes it so much more engaging? Is it the groupings of abilities by flavor, so one doesn't have to cherry-pick themed abilities? The mix of martial and caster type abilities? The "build-your-own-class" setup, almost reminiscent of a heavily simplified XP-Purchase system? The "out of place" alternative for "traditional" fantasy setting?
What makes Mystic so appealing?
>>
>>52167327
If they're not immune to necrotic damage.
>>
Is it worth it to dip into rogue as a diviner wizard?

I've got a fortune teller character that I'm working on, she's gonna start as a charlatan diviner with max int and high dex and charisma, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to multiclass after a while to make her a bit more sneaky/effective with daggers/melee weapons, especially since it doesn't really line up with her character to have most of her damage coming from things like fireballs or whatever else.
>>
>>52166640
You could stop being a lazy faggot and adapt it yourself.
>>
>>52167336
>gish
>spell points
>super customizable
>fleshed out disciplines
>quirks
>power of the mind flavor
It's pretty cool dbh
>>
All this knee jerk whining stating the Mystic is OP. Actually play the class and then see if your opinion is the same.
>>
>>52167315
Must have misread the Psi Limit.

Didnt realize it only applied to the discipline you are using, but doesnt mean you cannot use PP on a bonus or reaction from another discipline.
>>
>>52167166
Its less that ability and more that the mystic can do that AND a whole slew of other crap. They can pretty much fill a whole party's worth of roles.
>>
>>52167336
It just lets you do a shitload of cool things. Jumping up a 100 foot cliff before punching someone 70 feet off of it is cool, and those displacement abilities are rare.

There's just a ton of cool thematic moves for them, and there are so many subclasses that you can fill practically any party role with them.
>>
File: 1476722981223.jpg (316KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1476722981223.jpg
316KB, 1125x1500px
I'm just gonna get it out of the way
>Diminution, Miniature Form
>Can squeeze through gaps as small as 3 inches
Time for spelunking
>>
>>52167411
So can a party of bards or a party of wizards or a party of any full caster that you can name.
>>
>>52167421
Time for DC 80 Escape Artist checks?
>>
Would you guys allow a Soulknife to let the laser knife fists form as another weapon? Like, say, a two-handed 1d10? I can imagine that it might mess with the intention, but I'd like the option to do something other than maul things with that.
>>
>>52167422
No I mean like, 1 mystic in a normal party will make the wizard, fighter, bard, monk and paladin jealous, all at once.
>>
>>52167432
Most mystics will specialize rather than take disciplines that other party members make redundant.
>>
Speaking of lesser options from Mystic:

I feel like Mind Thrust might just be the best Legendary Save burner. Int saves are rare, and you can spam this talent till the end of the world from a reasonably safe distance. At one point the shit will start adding up, especially if there's more than one Mystic in the party, and the baddy will not have another choice but to use his LR. And then you just use some of the 'succeed or die' options.
>>
>>52167421
what was that old copy pasta where a guy made a character who could shrink down really small, crawl into enemy anuses, and then grow to tear them apart from the inside?

Someone post it please
>>
>>52166676
Reworking the monk as a mystic would be even better.
Right now it's a low power, short rest mystic, anyway.
>>
File: 1434687675404.png (5KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1434687675404.png
5KB, 500x500px
>>52167336
It's the power of the mind thing.

Being able to be a fucking psychic is cool. Wizards and Bards are cool, but they rely on the arcana to exist. Warlocks take their power from Pacts, same with Clerics and Paladins and their Gods. Sorcerers are the only class that have innate casting, but they're pretty gimped in comparison to the Wizard in terms of changeability. Unchangeable spell list and less slots.

Mystics have innate casting without the limits of Spell Slots. They feel like martials, in that they aren't using other powers to fuel themselves, they ARE their own power supply.
>>
>>52167430
I think its meant to be done like Psylocke.

Energy weapon stays around the same damage, but you can guarantee a hit, while your OH katana or w/e the fuck gets better and acts as a regular weapon.
>>
File: 1309042587373.jpg (110KB, 542x595px) Image search: [Google]
1309042587373.jpg
110KB, 542x595px
>>52167103
How many barb levels, just the two for Reckless + Danger Sense? TWF for the extra attack via bonus action?
>>
>>52167428
>>52167461
You guys are so behind the times.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Arseplomancer#5e_Unearthed_Arcana

>>52167452
>Using legendary saves on cantrips
>>
>>52167515
yes, but taking another level for bear/wolf totem can be useful.
>>
>>52167476
Sorcerers can change their spell lists a little bit. They can swap out a spell every time they level up
>>
>>52167538
That's my point. It would be ridiculous to use LR on cantrips, until they start dealing consistent 4d10+Int~=28 points of damage every round without a chance for retaliation (if positioned correctly), that's not taking into account any additional action trickery.
Although I may be overestimating the importance of that damage. nvm.
>>
>Giant Growth
So with that how far can the Bugbearmont monstrosity reach? Like 40 feet?
>>
>>52167421
you could just play a moon druid and turn into an ant
>>
>>52166547

It's an entire goddamn splatbook stuffed horrifyingly into one class that sticks literally all of the flavor into the archetypes.

Most of those archetypes should be full classes or archetypes in other classes and Mystic should have to figure out its own niche in the full caster spectrum like all the other full casters.

Just, jesus, this is ridiculously overstuffed.
>>
>>52167103
Why would you do that instead of just being a swashbuckler? You'd have to put points in StR and Con to make use of his Barb abilities to take a hit to sneak damage and your auxillary skills. Seems like Champion is better since you get an extra 5% to crit plus a fighting style
>>
File: 1306692337919.jpg (39KB, 336x475px) Image search: [Google]
1306692337919.jpg
39KB, 336x475px
>>52167515

Wait, actually, did the math and Champion gets higher chances to crit than barb, with always-on Fighting Style making up for the damage lost from raging.

Guess they're pretty neck-to-neck. Fighter *needs* an extra level but in turn gets Action Surge and in general plays it safer whether opting for two-handing or sword&board, the former further benefiting from advantage if provided by the party and the latter granting it to others, while Barb can always get advantage even if an enemy can't be proned, and also on reactions.
>>
>>52167642
Agreed, I can't imagine they actually want 28 pages of whatever book they put mystic in to be dedicated to one class. It's currently a Build-a-Bear Workshop abomination of a class.

I like the concepts, but I don't think order of the immortal is necessary, and a reworked Wot4E would be better than Wu Jen. They don't need access to so many disciplines. And the talents... well, fuck, just call them cantrips because that's what they are.
>>
File: inc.jpg (647KB, 1600x1252px) Image search: [Google]
inc.jpg
647KB, 1600x1252px
You commander of the Inquisitors team against the conspiracy of evil mystics.
What are the classes and archetypes in your party?
Not a mystic.
>>
>>52167676
A two weapon fighting champion/swashbuckler gets 5% more crits and an extra attack each turn with up to +5 and miss one ability score bump, a sneak dice, and essentially only one rogue ability (elusiveness)
>>
>>52167452
No reason at all for the baddie to waste LR.
>>
>>52167732
>Don't want 28 pages for one class
Nigga, I'd like to tell you about a class feature called Spellcasting.
>>
>>52167593
At level fucking 17.
>>
>>52167740
Obviously paladins and clerics
>>
>>52167753
That's a base mechanic that MOST classes get some access too. Honestly a good psionic class for 5e would use it too, just reflavored.

There's no need for all of this nonsense with talents and disciplines.
>>
>>52167732
>He doesn't want Wizards
>He doesn't want Sorcerers
>He doesn't want Druids
>He doesn't want Clerics
>He doesn't want fun
>>
>>52167740
Devotion Paladin, Arcana Cleric, Abjurer Wizard. Fourth is, I guess, a grapple barbarogue -- somewhat silly sounding, but a Zealot/Assassin fits flavorwise perfectly AND he keeps enemies from running away.

In case literally anyone kvetches about a wizard being in an "Inquisitor" themed party, Inquisitor paladins were on good terms with good aligned wizards and clerics since 2e.
>>
>>52167753
>>52167795
>only one class has spellcasting
>>
>>52167811
Just the wizard spell list is at least 20 pages
>>
>>52167593
Most monsters with Legendary Actions have a good intelligence.
>Aboleth
>Gynosphinx
>Adult Brass Dragon
>Adult White Dragon
>Beholder
>Vampire
>Adult Black Dragon
>Adult Copper Dragon
>Death Tyrant
>Adult Bronze Dragon
>Adult Green Dragon
>Mummy Lord
>Adult Blue Dragon
>Adult Silver Dragon
>Adult Blue Dracolich
>Adult Gold Dragon
>Adult Red Dragon
>Androspinx
>Demilich
>Ancient Brass Dragon
>Ancient White Dragon
>Acererak Demilich
>Ancient Black Dragon
>Ancient Copper Dragon
>Lich
>Solar
>Ancient Bronze Dragon
>Ancient Green Dragon
>Ancient Blue Dragon
>Ancient Silver Dragon
>Empyrean
>Kraken
>Ancient Gold Dragon
>Ancient Red Dragon
>Tarrasque
>Tiamat

This is actually a list of creatures with Legendary Actions, but I don't know any creatures with legendary resistances but not actions.

Most of these have pretty good int saves. Some of the Dragons are like +3 and that's the low end. Most of them can close a gap pretty well as well.
>>
File: 1427237565505.png (262KB, 531x889px) Image search: [Google]
1427237565505.png
262KB, 531x889px
Wait hold up. If you're a revenant, and you fulfill your purpose at 20th level and roll above a 10, what happens? Since you die, you come back a few days later instead of dying, which would imply you didn't die at all so revenant's "cannot be restored back to life" doesn't affect it right? What does that make you? Revenant still? Human? Undead?
>>
>>52167811
You know who else could use those disciples?

BINDER.

What if this is the start of the Binder UA? They could both use the Disciples, just replace psionic fluff with summoning fluff.
>>
>>52167832
I'm dumb because I forgot to mention this is under the circumstance the revenant is a mystic.
>>
>>52167832
It makes you permanently dead, without any chance of being returned to life -- ever. Do not pass go.
>>
>>52167477
It's odd, but I just have the idea of a psionic warrior using a single, heavier weapon.
>>
>>52167832
Sounds like a way to skip into a regular body again.
>become revenant
>work on your Mystic powers until level 20
>fulfill your duty
>die
>roll 10 or above
>come back in a new, non undead body as good as the day you died
>>
>>52167740
Ranger with favored enemy humanoids.

Zealot Barbarian

Assassin
>>
I've been working on some homebrew subclasses.

I know the Battlemage looks a lot like Loremaster, but I swear I started on it before that came out. I did steal the INT to initiative thing.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HynLJov_l
>>
>>52167860
It would make you permanently dead, if you actually "die". But mystic clearly states you just disappear and come back instead of dying.

>>52167876
That's what I was thinking would happen, obviously it depends on the DM and whether or not he thinks/wants it to work like that.
>>
Official Tier List:
Note, the tier list is split between class abilities and class disciplines, since disciplines are available to everyone, regardless of subclass.

God Tier:
Awakened Disciplines, Knife Asshole abilities

Great Tier:
Wu Tang Disciplines, Wu Tang abilities, Awakened abilities, Avatar Disciplines

Good Tier
Nothing

Shit Tier
Everything else.
>>
>>52167900
I'd personally allow the revenant a 50-50 chance to avoid final death just for fun, I suppose.
>>
So how does a 60 ft cone look on a grid? An equilateral triangle? A right angle triangle?
>>
>>52167917
One quadrant of a 60 ft radius circle
>>
>>52167917
A triangle with a 53 degree angle, and a base and height of 60ft.
>>
File: 1488256973294.gif (539KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1488256973294.gif
539KB, 480x270px
Haunted One background doesn't give any pocket change in it's equipment listing. Is it assumed that the Monster Hunter's Pack is taking it's place?
>>
>>52166451
To the guy last thread that said that its stupid to stick to one discipline,

OH YEAH WELL HOW ABOUT A WU JEN ULTIMATE MASTER OF ALL THE ELEMENTALS AND KICK SOME FUCKING ASS? AND DONT EVEN TALK TO ME ABOUT AVATAR SHIT!

So yeah, get bent.
>>
File: w.jpg (18KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
18KB, 512x512px
>>52168079
Excuse you, it's Wu Tang
>>
>>52167839
They're not going to have a Binder because the Binder is too thematically similar to the Warlock, regardless of whatever mechanics they try to give to it. Either way you've got some chucklefuck making deals with beings he probably shouldn't in return for weird powers.
>>
File: Totemist.jpg (52KB, 400x437px) Image search: [Google]
Totemist.jpg
52KB, 400x437px
Since we already got the mystic now, can we get an Incarnum class now? Like the Totemist
>>
> Nomadic step and Commander Mantle
Chess master! Chess master!
>>
Ok so im looking over the Wu Jen due to nostalgia about one I played in an ancient 3.5 campaign and I kinda wanna recreate my old Water themed one

Its going alright then I get to the Mastery of Water Discipline and notice Watery Sphere

>>60 ft range
>>Dex save to negate
>>Limits vision to 10' half move DisAd on attacks
>>Hefty 6 PSI cost and concentration
>>Target gets protected by the sphere giving DisAd on attacks against him as well
>>Action to break free every round and negate

It certainly sounds cool but it seems like a few minor debuffs for a huge cost that might just get saved against and negated and at best might force them to waste an action to negate . Its like a shitty hold monster or irresistible dance

I then look over at Frozen Rain and its an AOE damage effect which stops movement and forces skill checks to escape to escape as an action AND it costs one less PSI.Holy shit
>>
>>52168113
What if Binder was somehow tied into Warlock? A subset.
>>
>>52167384
>Gish
Why do people love these fucking things so much?
>>
>>52168153
Maybe if it was one of the pact options... we could call it something like bind but stronger... like a chain maybe?
>>
>>52168169
I dunno man, I just love it
>>
If you start a campaign at level 3, do you usually let your players start with a single magical item, or do you reserve magical items as things to find?
>>
>>52168191
the later
>>
All this butthurt from autists about the Mystic. It isn't OP, it won't make other party member redundant as for 28 pages yeah they had to add the spell list with entirely new spells/abilities for this class as well.
>>
>>52168184
It bothers me, because even just the concept is broken as shit.
>>
>>52168191
I wouldn't consider starting them with a magic item until level 5 or 6, and that's only when I've just killed their character with several already.
>>
So how do I Ardent? I honestly find all psionics to be bland in flavor but Ardent has a special place in my shrivelled heart.

I guess I just take Order of the Avatar, suit up in armour and start inspiring people?
>>
>>52168245
>I guess I just take Order of the Avatar, suit up in armour and start inspiring people?
Pretty much go at it.
>>
>>52167097
Being able to roll attack and damage 4 times potentially in a turn feels good senpai.

Also who doesn't wanna play a character that can punch dragons in the dick and still be effective while doing it?
>>
I swear there was a way for a non psionic to become psionic..
>inb4 wish.
>>
Are you able to hit multiple targets with Magic Missile? It says 'each dart hits a creature of your choice,' but I feel like it could go either way.
>>
>>52168286
>"Each dart hits a creature of your choice"
Yes, you can hit multiple targets with Magic Missile.
>>
>>52168311
Okay, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting it, I haven't played a wizard or other magic class before.
Does this mean that a Lore Wizard with Alchemical Casting can hit three creatures and do 2d10+1d4+1 damage on each one?
>>
>>52166667
>>52166698

I fell for the ruse too. I'm 99% certain its because Magus is cheesy as hell
>>
>>52168286
Yeah you can hit multiple creatures but magic missile works in a weird way. You only roll the die once and all missiles do that damage, so if you roll a 4 you can do 5 damage to 3 creatures, 10 to one and 5 to another or 15 to one. This gets weird if you have an on hit effect like the Evoker's "Add INT to Damage" feature. It lets you add that damage to each missile and still hit one creature. So if you roll a 4 you have 3 missiles doing 4+1+5 so you can deal 30 damage to a creature.
>>
>>52168319
As long as 2d10+1d4+1 damage is One dart, yeah.
>>
On the topic of the Mystic, anyone else feel like Lethal Strike got a hard nerf?
>>
>>52168180
Eh, i don't even like the Binder, but there wouldn't really be an issue with a Hexblade style Patron that was primarily around to boost the familiar to combat status
>>
>>52168326
>>52168328
Okay, so the way this would work is
>Lore Wizard with Alchemical casting casts Magic Missile
>targets 1 orc with 1 dart, and a 2nd orc with 2 darts
>rolls 2d10+1d4+1, gets 16 total
>first orc takes 16 damage, second takes 32 damage
Yes or no?
>>
>>52168389
Don't go there. DON'T GO THERE.
>>
>>52168137
what did they do?
>>
>>52168400
I just want my math and process to be right before I go to the table with this kind of thing and it messes up the flow because someone has to stop and explain it to me.
>>
>>52168389
Yeah I wouldn't abuse that shit with Lore Master. It's already stupidly powerful.

Just use an Ice Knife or something.
>>
>>52168414
Then I suggest this, it's not an official rule, but because how MM works, it becomes exploitable, so here is a detour for it.

After you hit a character with a spell, you roll 2d10 and cause that much force damage to each character you hit.

Because the ways to roll damage don't mesh with each other (much like how Nuclear Druid works) when MM is such a broken spell. It uses a different damage calculation method than any other spell, it doesn't need anything else to break shit.
>>
>>52168445
If you need an in-game reason for it, imagine the magic missiles attaching and exploding, and if other magic missiles are in the same character, the explosion wipes the missiles away before they cause the damage.
>>
File: 1486453124990.png (23KB, 160x223px) Image search: [Google]
1486453124990.png
23KB, 160x223px
Can I get a rundown of Bugbearmont?
>>
>>52168389
A DM with a sense of balance would rule it like this:
>one missile deals 2d10+1d4+1
>the other two each deals 1d4+1
Regardless of what RAW says.
>>
>>52163734
If that Anon is still here which page exactly?
>>
>>52166547

the mystic can do way too fucking much. it's literally build-your-own-class. there is no reason to play anything else. on top of that, being a self-supplied caster is just over the top.

I wish they never added this class. there's going to be at least one of these assholes in every game from now on, unless the DM bans them.
>>
>>52168416
>>52168445
O-okay, then.
>>52168478
Yeah, I know it's not exactly the same but to me it seemed like similar kinds of damage as Fireball but with a single target and using two 1st-level slots.
>>
What are people's thoughts on the mystic?
>>
File: 1922-ultra-fast-cat.jpg (129KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1922-ultra-fast-cat.jpg
129KB, 600x400px
Tabaxi Monk 12/Elk Totem Barbarian 5/Mystic 1/Fighter 2. Mobile feat. Boon of speed.

You need boots of speed and an artifact with the +10ft speed property.

You need a wizard, a dream druid, a bard, an artificer, and a mystic on-hand.

Here's the build-up and sprint. Note that any non-bonus-actions can be done off-turn via Ready.

Round 1: Wizard casts Longstrider on you. Druid uses Balm of the Summer court on you. Artificer gives you a Swift Step Draught. You drink your Swift Step Draught, then active your Boots of Speed as the last thing in the round. Your speed is 30 (race) + 20 (monk) + 10 (barb) + 10 (mystic) + 10 (mobile) + 50 (balm) + 10 (transmuter) + 10 (Longstrider) + 30 (boon) + 10 (artifact) + 20 (draught) = 210, 210 x 2 (boots) = 420 feet.

Round 2: You rage. Wizard casts Haste on you. Your speed is 420 + 15 (rage) = 435, 435 x 2 (haste) = 870 feet.

At each of your turns after this, you have a mystic focusing on Mantle of Fury stand within 10 feet of you. 870 + 5 = 875 feet.

Within the next 8 rounds, you have a bard cast Dissonant Whispers on you each turn. The bard readies the spell and casts it on you after you use Feline Agility. On each of your turns, you activate Feline Agility and don't move. If and when you fail the save, you use your reaction to move up to your speed. You then action dash, Haste action dash, Action Surge dash, Pillar of Confidence dash, and bonus action dash (Step of the Wind), allowing you to move 7 times your speed on your turn total. Your speed is 875 x 2 (feline agility) = 1750 feet. You move 1750 x 7 = 12250 feet in that turn.

12250 feet in 6 seconds = ~2041.67 feet per second, or ~1392.05 miles per hour.
>>
>>52168505

Its looking pretty good but theres so much to go over its gonna take a long time to properly process especially with all the special ed kids claiming everything it does is overpowered and spreading the "It replaces ALL classes" Meme

>>52168519

Bugbearmont the return of the Arseplomancer and this alone make this the best UA ever
>>
>>52167355
I say that it works, even just thematically. I would have to look back over the rules, but I think you would be able to pull a lot of tricks with it.
A good diviner/rogue might even be able to make your adventures feel like a low-tech shadowrun.
>>
>>52168505
Seems a little too good. It outperforms multiple classes, and it's burst damage is ridiculous.

Psionic Blast gives you 7d8 at level 10, which you can do for 9 turns in a row (total pool is 64).

One combo people are throwing around at 9th level: You use your action with 7 psi to Bestial Claws, bonus action 7 psi to Brute Strike and reaction 7 psi to Knock Back, totalling 7d10 + 14d6 in one attack.

A level 9/10 character shouldn't be able to solo an adult Black Dragon in a few turns solo.
>>
>>52168389
I believe there is a Sage Advice somewhere that states that each target can only take the 2d10 damage from Alchemical Casting once. However if you target a third Orc each would take 16.
>>
>>52168519
With some changes it could make for a good power bomb supplex build.
>>
Is it totally fine if I use thermovision instead of darkvision like it used to be, despite how unrealistic it is?
>>
>>52168590
What's unrealistic about snake eyes?
>>
>>52168598
How detailed the vision was for elves, and drow, and dwarves, snakes vision is blurry and vague in the heat spectrum and they are cold blooded, endothermic races would literally blind themselves if they had this vision at least in our world. Thats the common complaint anyway.
>>
File: Lady Swashbuckler.jpg (159KB, 1024x1428px) Image search: [Google]
Lady Swashbuckler.jpg
159KB, 1024x1428px
>>52166851
I feel like making "gunslinger" either Ranger or Fighter that uses dual handcrossbows sounds awesome. Is this viable? What feats should I go for?
>>
>>52168563
You can't do that nova by the rules. Knock Back and Brutal Strike are in the same discipline, so you can't stack them

Instead go for Lethal Strike + Claws + knockback

The wording is unclear, but since Lethal Strike works on unarmed, and Tabaxi and Lizard Folk natural weapons count as unarmed, you shouldn't have trouble convincing a GM that the Bestial Claws are unarmed.

This is 14d10+7d6+1d8+5 damage, or 103 on average.
>>
>>52168626
Unless you have three arms, one hand crossbow will fire faster than two.
>>
>>52168637
Hmm, true. Either way it's a little ridiculous.
>>
>>52168549
I don't get why so many got triggered by it and went full autist and retard.
>>
>>52168461
>>52168549
Also asking for any updates/improvements to Bugbearmont in the context of this most recent UA.
>>
File: 1002-7169-2588.jpg (27KB, 640x380px) Image search: [Google]
1002-7169-2588.jpg
27KB, 640x380px
>>52166676
>The mystic steps on a lot of toes but the monk has just been completely outclassed
>>
>>52168285
I'm planning on giving someone in my campagin a level of Awakened Mystic for sitting in the ancient Helm of a Ithillid Nautilus. A buttload of damage as well, but hey.

>>52168501
Looks really OP on paper, but I can't really tell without playing with it enough to how constricting the resource on paper. They have a lot of good tricks, but using any of them too much means *all* of your class feature stop working.

>>52168637
Lethal Strike+Claws doesn't work either. Lethal strike empowers a weapon before it is used, and the claws used for the Bestial Claws only last for "an instant" (the attack). You aren't armed with them except during the attack, and you can't take a bonus action in the middle of an action.
>>
>>52168701
there are plenty of things a clever DM can say to stop cheese, but on paper the mystic's nova is just that, serious cheese.
>>
SPELLJAMMER FUCKING WHEN
>>
Are Svirfneblin the only form of acceptable Gnome? Also is it just me or is their Racial Feat pretty good?
>>
What are fun spells to have as a bard?
>>
>>52167051
>>Wave goodbye to my party knowing they are all about to die.

?
>>
>>52168701
>Giving class levels
Talk to him first, cause it can be fucking annoying when you randomly have to take levels in shit that makes you MAD as fuck and slows down your planned progression.
>>
>Playing a homebrew setting where slavery is an accepted (and even encouraged) practiced
>My character buys a slave and the other players freak out
>>
>>52168780
Become a slavemaster and say "It's what my character would do"
>>
>>52168389
>>52168501
By the language of it, Alchemical casting only give you 2d10 extra damage per target.

So you roll 1d4+1 first. Apply the damage once on the 1st orc and twice on the 2nd roc

Then you roll 2d10 and add that damage to each target
>>
>>52168796
It is a respectable profesion.
>>
>>52168245
I don't understand their level 6 ability, the avatar of healing ability, because for the life of me I can't seem to find any psionic discipline that restores health to other people, unless by hit points they mean temporary hit points, which don't seem like the same thing.
>>
>>52168811
There's an Immortal one that does 1d8 per PP spent.
>>
>>52168654
Isn't there a feat that lets you get past that? I thought you could ignore the loaded property.
>>
>>52168820
>avatar aura
>buffs ONE not avatar discipline and nothing else
gee, thanks wotc
>>
>>52168801
>>52168501
>>52168389
To Clarify it futher...
> If you roll damage for the spell when you cast it, increase the damage against every target by 2d10 force damage.

> against every target by 2d10 damage

This is not the same as Empowered Evocation

> you can add your Intelligence modifier to one damage roll of any wizard evocation spell you cast.
or
> When you roll damage for a spell, you can increase that damage by spending dice from the pool.

Which apply to every missile because there is only one damage roll.
>>
>>52168825
You can, but not the ammunition property. You still need a free hand to load it with.
>>
>>52168825
Ignoring Loading isn't ignoring Ammunition
>>
>>52168637
>You can't do that nova by the rules. Knock Back and Brutal Strike are in the same discipline, so you can't stack them

I don't follow. The psi limit rule mentions limits each time you use a discipline, and they are used seperately. The combining psionic effects rule says specific options from disciplines don't combine, but Knock Back and Brutal Strike are different specific options.
>>
>>52168833
Clearly it's designed for a party of psionics then. Because the avatar of healing doesn't specify "your" psionic displinices.
>>
File: 3291-15364-29609.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
3291-15364-29609.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>52168218
>>
>>52168326
>You only roll the die once and all missiles do that damage

[citation needed]
>>
>>52168622
Magic.

Elves at least are literally magical creatures.
>>
>>52168862
I can't say hes entirely wrong, just mostly.

The problem is that it often seems people want to be as good 80% of a wizard, and 80% of a fighter, smashed together.
>>
>>52168874
Magic missile work like Fireball. One damage roll for all the target. Even if you shoot it at the same target.
>>
>>52168880
That was the usual explanation, i just wanted to see what /5eg/'s opinion of using thermovision instead of darkvision in 5e is.
>>
>>52168835
>>52168501
Oh and JC already agree. 2d10 once per target, regardless of missile hit.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/02/14/ua-warlocks-wizards-questions-answers/
>>
>>52168218
Are you a literal retard?
>>
>>52168637
>m
My favourite is Lethal Strike as bonus action + Animate weapon as action + knockback

You can position yourself to give the knockback effect, attack at 30ft and using your fucking inteligence. 14d10 + weapon damage + mod if you hit. extra 7d10 if the enemy fails the save roll
>>
File: 1310619584556.jpg (290KB, 738x1185px) Image search: [Google]
1310619584556.jpg
290KB, 738x1185px
>>52168626
>>52168825

Setting aside what has already been said, Hand Crossbow + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter Fighter (with a 2~ level dip in Ranger or Warlock or something else that provides efficient ways to increase damage) is king DPR.

Revised Ranger is better against multiple enemies and in particular if you run into your Favored Enemy because of Volley, but Fighter is more consistent.
>>
>>52168874
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/17/magic-missile-do-you-roll-the-same-d4-for-all-darts/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/evocation/
> "Yep. It's one damage roll, just like fireball, but that roll can damage the same target more than once."
>>
>>52168519
i can't imagine having a life so devoid of purpose that i'd spend even a minute contemplating such nonsense as this

you're wasting your life, and you know it
>>
>>52168191
At most it would be a minor magical item, nothing that affects combat stats but has uses outside of battle, like a pair of Sending Stones or maybe even a Bag of Holding.
>>
>>52168844
>>52168845
The ammunition property only says it expends a piece of ammunition when you attack with it. It explicitly says drawing the ammo is part of the attack.
>>
File: 13865-11119-28541.jpg (24KB, 491x727px) Image search: [Google]
13865-11119-28541.jpg
24KB, 491x727px
>>52168887
>The problem is that it often seems people want to be as good 80% of a wizard, and 80% of a fighter, smashed together.
>>
>>52168892
>>52168936
What? That's outrageously lame. Not to mention inconsistent with other spells that are able to summon multiple rays or whatever (e.g. Eldritch Blyat)
>>
>>52168959
Exactly, it tells you that you need to draw the ammo. Which means you need a hand to do so barring extreme circumstances.
>>
>>52168959
Someone didn't read the errata. Try again anon.
>>
>>52168811
Would it really be broken if you treated temp hit points as a subset of "hit points"? So it worked with those mantles?
>>
>>52168892
[citation needed]
>>
>>52168969
simultaneously is the key. You have to choose all target for the missile when you cast it. You can shoot EB / SR in order.
>>
>>52168973
Probably not, but "regain hit points" is clearly different than gaining a new set of temporary hit points, so either they fucked up editing harder than usual, or it isn't intended to work.
>>
>>52168974
It was given just above you a little you fucking moron.
>>
>>52168936
>RAI: It doesn't matter; you choose.

Read the Tweet, twat.
>>
>>52168974
See >>52168936

You are in here and didn't knew about nuclear druid?
>>
>>52168994
take a nuclear cock up your ass
>>
>>52168992
You can roll damage for fireball on each target too. Doesn't change the fact that effect like Empowered Evocation still apply to everything you hit, no matter how many time you roll.
>>
>>52168971
It doesn't say that though, it just says it's part of the action. It's reasonable that you have your quiver at your hip and can draw it with a few fingers while still holding the crossbow.

>>52168972
You're right, I didn't realize that was errated. Where at?
>>
>>52168984
It wouldn't irk me so much if they had literally any other options to heal other than that one immortal discipline, like there's no (mass) healing word equivalent or aoe heals to really benefit from the bonus. Which you'd think for an aura-based support subclass there would be
>>
>>52169021
https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf

> Ammunition (p. 146).
Loading a one-handed weapon requires a free hand.
>>
Best domain for a Theurge?
>>
>>52169021
Even if you wanted to argue that you could grab the bolt itself, you have no way to load and cock it into the crossbow. This isn't a weapon-chord situation, this is a, oh shit, hands don't work that way situation.
>>
>>52169047
Tempest is awesome. Maximised Lightning Bolts for days.
>>
>>52169026
I wouldn't even mind so much if it was an Avatar discipline, why does the archetype get a feature that in no way interacts within its own archetype. It would be like if Eldritch Knight got 0 cantrips, but still got War Magic.
>>
>>52169021
In any case, if you want it for flavor you can ask your GM to let you dual-wield Hand Crossbows on the grounds that if you're taking Crossbow Expert (and why wouldn't you?) therefore there's no mechanical difference at all between using one or two.

...As long as you don't dual-wield hand crossbows with another weapon or a shield, which is what the errata prevents.
>>
>>52169038
>>52169048
Here's a hot spicy take: could you use a mage hand to count as a free hand?
>>
>>52169100
Well, you can still wield it with something else, you just can't take multiple attacks in one round with it. Medieval riot cop can still be a thing, just it sorta sucks.
>>
>>52169109
So you want to use your action... to reload a crossbow you can't have fired?

Even using the arcane trickster feature is silly, because then you lose the option to attack with the hand crossbow bonus action anyway.

I guess you could use a shield and hand crossbow if you have a generous DM though.
>>
>>52169109
Sure... if you use an action to control it.
>>
If I want a mostly Melee Ranger should I go Sword and Board or Dual-Wield?
>>
help, i wanna play a chef warlock but i'm not sure which patron to go for

>character is a well renown chef, able to make artisanal dishes of different style and varieties
>the fiend: rather than one specific patron, this warlock has many patrons. various devils come into contact with him, wishing to sample his fine dishes. instead of paying him in gold, they decide to pay him in magical power.
>goo: character comes into contact with an unknown entity from another universe. it wishes to know more about the land, it's culture, it's... food? warlock powers in exchange for cookbooks and instructional manuals on cooking and fine dining
>archfey: old grandmother queen of some region of the fey loves to cook and wants to exchange magical power in return for exclusive access to his most secret of recipes. she shares her recipes too

not sure which more i like at the moment and i'm not sure what race i wanna play
>>
>>52169163
Dual-wield is a trap
>>
>>52169163
neither, you should go Tunnel Fighting (if allowed) and get Polearm + GWM feats asap and use Spike Growth to create a true field of slaughter
>>
>>52169170
Archfey feels the best, the other two are bit more a of a thematic stretch
>>
>>52169142
>>52169145
I forgot it took a whole action. I just wanted arcane 'bow slinger shenanigans. Ah, well.
>>
>>52169163
Dual wielding is fine if you want it go for it this hobby is about fun after all NOT filthy powergaming.
>>
>>52169100
>hand crossbow + shield / offhand crossbow + sword
Why did they feel they had to 'fix' this? Is it really that broken? I mean, I guess I can sorta understand reticence to let someone use ranged attacks with a shield (although they could just use a cantrip like Firebolt or EB and get a better damage die and type).

But hand crossbow and rapier/dagger? That's just fucking badass, and not really that powerful.
>>
From what I can tell, Hone the Blade empowers you, not the blade, in the same way Archery Fighting Style improves ranged weapon attacks. As a result, it stacks with Augmented Weapon, allowing an effective +7 weapon.
>>
>>52169178
I'm a Goblin and my last character was a Bugbear Tunnel Fighting Knight.

>>52169197
I'd honestly rather not have a bonus action tax but shields feel so wrong on a Goblin.
>>
>>52169201
it says "with your soul knives" multiple times
>>
>>52169200
Hand crossbow is already the best ranged weapon. Giving it extra option like more AC or ability to melee is... bad...
>>
>>52169188
ehh, i kinda like fiend thought. i like the idea of a person gaining power bit by bit from a bunch of devils than all of it from one. GOO was a bitch of a stretch but i still kinda like it. archfey is what im leaning to fluff wise but sadly they're my least favorite mechanically. i should give them a try tho, it could be fun
>>
>>52169208
Bonus action tax? You can draw two weapons at once you know that right, it doesn't take an action or bonus action to draw your weapons at least as far as I can remember?
>>
>>52169234
To attack. If I'm casting Hunter's Mark or using my Goblin Racial I can't get a second hit in.
>>
>>52169212
It says:

>You gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls with your soul knives

For comparison, Archery style says:

>You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

Conversely, Augmented Weapon says:

>that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +3 bonus to its attack and damage rolls.

You get the (Hone the Blade) bonus, and apply it in the context of attacks with the soul knives (which have the Augmented Weapon bonus).
>>
>>52169247
So what? it's no different with sword and board, the difference here is you lose a small amount of AC for an extra hit when you aren't doing something other than attacking.
>>
>>52169220
It's basically either

>a worse firebolt/EB
with the shield

Or

>Dual Wielding with one of the attacks being ranged (remember cover bonuses, attacking someone behind a creature gets +2AC, and attacking someone while you're in melee gives disadvantage)
with a melee weapon

Not that broken imho
>>
Is there any reason to use dex on an avatar mystic? Can i go str instead?
>>
>>52169270
EB is the Warlocks defining feature, and 1d6+dex is better than 1d10.

Even more so when you count bonus action attack and extra attack features.
>>
>>52169271
It's better to have the +2 dex for your medium armor than not, but you could always grab Heavy Armor Proficiency elsewhere.
>>
File: 1308363786916.jpg (54KB, 400x836px) Image search: [Google]
1308363786916.jpg
54KB, 400x836px
>>52169163

In a turn where you have your bonus action available for the off-hand attack, dual-wielding will do marginally more damage under normal circumstances (at +3 stat bonus, 19.5 vs 19, then 22.5 vs 21 when you add Dual Wielder feat to one method and ASI to the other).

The difference increases when you factor in Hunter's Mark and Favored Enemy bonuses, however. Hunter's Mark is 33 vs 28, and Favored Enemy means +2 (or +4 with Revised GFE) damage on the side of dual-wielding. So if you want to deal damage and don't want to go Great Weapon Master, do go that direction.

Be mindful that Sword & Board is more effective with Horde Breaker and Whirlwind Attack than dual-wielding, ironically (since Duelist applies to all attacks).
>>
Adaptipe Body - Immortal
Environemental focus, eat.breat.sleep
oriented for survival
Reaction resist, immunity granting
+Defensive, viable combat options
-non combat options supremely situational

Aura Sight - awakened
Lie detector
tactitian?
+if tactician, otherwise no

Bestial Form - Immortal
animal handling
combat claws, 1d10 slashing
mobility and senses
+exploration
-high PP cost

Brute Force - Immortal
athletics
+1d6 on weapon hit
another +1d6 on weapon hit
super jump useful
+Nova potential
-damage per pp
jumping is situational

Celerity - Immortal
+10 walk speed
sonic speed
decent mobility options
+self "haste" is good, cost is high though
insert vtmb reference

corrosive metabolism - Immortal
+acid/poison resist
combat 1d10 acid damage, dex save
+poisoned condition, scales poorly
+AoE damage
-pure combat
pretty good option if out of combat covered elsewhere

Crown of Despair - Avatar
Intimidation
1d8 psychic nuke, weak effect but cha save
+Cha Save Incapacitate
mostly offensive
+cha saves
-mediocre effects mostly

Crown of Disgust - Avatar
5 foot aoe difficult terrain
fear esque effects
+wisdom save wall
+strong potential DoT
++strong disable, 6 targets, Cha save
-pure combat
strength varies largely with party and enemy group comp

Crown of Rage - Avatar
+melee only protection fighting style for free
nuke forces enemy movement, uses their reaction
?does this count as forced movement for AoO? (probably, but using reaction is odd, maybe to prevent ally abuse?)
++forced NPC combat, no personal consequences
-weak control effects, low direct damage
punishing fury niche as fuck, but strong

Diminution - Immortal
Stealth
+super stealthy
+size alteration
defensive option is strong but expensive
-no real combat options
asspelunking

Giant Growth - Immortal
bugbear arms
+get bigger!
+get BIGGERER!!
-thats all you do
probably incredibly interesting for a bugbear soul knife, new memes are born
>>
>>52169306
Intellect Fortress - Awakend
psychic resist
+strong defensive options
-pure combat
+/- good for wizard battles, bad for meatheads

Iron Durability - Immortal
+plus 1 AC
+defensive options
-less versatile and important than Intellect Fortress
Better on a melee oriented Mystic, soul knife probably

Mantle of Awe - Awakened
+ 1/2 int to cha checks
-aoe charm and reverse invisibilty of dubious usefulness
+++5 target mind control

Mantle of Command - Avatar
don't move, move friends
++spend allies reactions for FIGHT or RUN
doesn't do much for yourself
-pure combat
>muh warlord

Mantle of Courage - Avatar
anti-fear aura, small
-pseudo healing and remove fear
+"haste"

Mantle of Fear - Avatar
Intimidation
-fear
+difficult terrain on demand
+++sticky 8 target disable

Mantle of Fury - Avatar
small 5 speed aura
+ally weapon damage
+ally movement
+melee advantage aura
-single target disable, bad vs meatheads

Mantle of Joy - Avatar
Persuasion
saving throw only Bless
+attempt enemy debuff break
-other stuff is meh

Mastery of Air - Wu
++Terminal velocity fall immunity, difficult terrain ignoring
+flying
elemental
-offensive option mediocre

Mastery of Fire
+fire resist, +2 fire damage
BURN MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
EXPLOOOOOOOOOSION

Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi - Jedi
stronk checks
+Force Push, Move
+wear robes, get AC, wizards got nothin' on me
junior wall of force
+Force Choke

Mastery of Ice - Wu
cold resist
+let it go
++strong aoe nuke/disable
+Ice Wall best wall
What killed the dinosaurs?
>>
>>52169315
Mastery of Light and Darkness - wu
+30 foot super dark vision
Devil's Sight style shenanigans
single target touch faierie fire?
+oh don't worry about me, just draining all your strength
blindbeam is ok i guess

Master of Water - Wu
swim and breath
con save 1d10 necrotic nuke
+I heard you liked forced movement?
UNDER THE SEA
?is the creature submerged in water, or is it a bubble filled with air, fire elementals and wizards want to know?
elementals

Mastery of Weather - Wu
lightning/thunder resist
+follow me into the clouds
+lots of things
+aoe stun

Mastery of Wood and Earth
+plus one ac
+boomerangs
-meh disables
+wall and resistances
elemental
-versatility

Nomadic Arrow - Nomad
ignore ranged weapon disadvantage, mystic 1/rogue X
++free attacks?? what? no action means only things that break concentration stop you
+other stuff is good archery things too
-versatility

Nomadic Chamelion - Nomad
Stealth
hide in plain sight
+group invisibilty
++bonus action greater invisibilty on self

Nomadic Mind - Nomad
+++bonus action proficiency or language at will
-redundant extra proficincies
+amazing spy/detective

Nomadic Step - Nomad
10 extra move after teleporting
++BAMF!
+CHANGE PLACES!
-no direct mechanical impact most of the time

Precognition - Awakend
advantage on initiative
+blessguidance on self
+iniative things are fucking great
+seriously, advantage and +20 initative

Psionic Restoration - Immortal
bonus action spare the dying that works on undead/constructs
+Cure Wounds
+Lesser Restoration
+Revivify
+Greater Restoration

Psionic Weapon - Immortal
bypass damage resist for your weapon
attack with dex save
+1d10 psychic nuke on weapon hit
-Soul Knife does it better, and only benefits from Lethal Strike meaningfully
donating a +3 to a fighter is pretty good though

Psychic Assault - Awakened
plus 2 psychic damage cantrips/"talents"
psychic single target magic missile
+good disables
+better effects on nukes than most
-its all nukes
>>
>>52169270
Firebolt/EB doesn't get +10 to damage
>>
Would a hobgoblin Mystic be alright? None of the races seem very fitting.
>>
>>52169322
Psychic Disruption - Awakend
deception
+Concentration breaker
-the rest is done better elsewhere

Psychic Inquisiton - Awakened
lie detector, telepathy only
++good nuke that sets up a disable
+mind reading/altering

Psychic Phantoms - Awakened
Deception
++strong debuffs/control
-pure combat

Telepathic Contact - Awakened
6 way telepathy
-worse truth serum
++jedi mind trick
++better hold/dominate monster
-reliant on not failing the first time

Third Eye - Nomad
darkvision
+you can see things gooder
-you can't see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch
>>
>>52169286
You do not add your bonus to offhand attacks.
You can pick up EB with Magic Initiate

You're totally right on Firebolt though.

I don't know, it doesn't seem super broken to me. Maybe it's slightly better or equal, but not NERF NAO kind of broken. Definitely not as much as some shit that's valid RAW.
>>
>>52169264
Yeah. it sounds actually legit.
Not a fan of the super strong "ignore ac" 14th lvl.
But a +7 weapon on a high elf soul knife doing booming blade and using celerity to move as if he had mobile feat does sound good
>>
>>52168892
>>52168969
>Not to mention inconsistent with other spells that are able to summon multiple rays or whatever
Those have separate attack rolls. Separate attack rolls, separate damage rolls. But one attack roll (or none), one damage roll.
>>
Does Hone the Blade add its bonuses to Animate Weapon attacks?
>>
>>52169341
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
That doesn't say anything about an offhand attack or dual wielding.

You use 1 hand crossbow and take the attack action, then get an attack with your bonus action. 1d6+dex+1d6+dex, extra attack works too. You can also add +10 per from sharpshooter.

Oh, and unless you are a warlock, EB is a straight 1d10 as well.
>>
>>52169270
Crossbow expert doesn't care about being in melee
>>
>>52169351
Well. Since you deal weapon damage as normal. I would guess that it should add attack bonus too.
>>
>>52169047
Any other ideas?
>>
>>52168408
They looked shit up for themselves.
>>
>>52169364
You can only get 1 of those attacks though (bonus action). So you are (mechanically) dual-wielding a single hand crossbow but you get to add the +mod on all your damage rolls. That's strictly better than dualwielding handcrossbow+melee

Okay, that's right, and noncasters attacking with cantrips is kinda dumb anyway. Let's consider EB warlocks though. They get 1d10+CHA and can still use a shield.
>>
>>52169368
That's two feats (dualwield+CE, three if you add SS) to do it... It's a pretty big investment (esp considering shit like PAM exists)
>>
>>52169418
Only the Hexblade gets shield proficiency, and the Warlock class is defined by Eldritch Blast, which turns it into a martial that can cast 9th level spells down the road.
>>
File: 1415071255773.png (761KB, 519x790px) Image search: [Google]
1415071255773.png
761KB, 519x790px
>>52169200
It's just how they patched it. Agreed on dual-wielding with melee, but as >>52169220 said, adding extra AC on top of what's already the best ranged weapon is something best not done, as cool as the concept might seem.

1d6+DEX plus 10 from sharpshooter (taken at -3 to hit because of Archery Style) is better than EB and much better than Firebolt. Only Sorlock who can sustain Quickened EBs enters the league as a Xbow Expert+Sharpshooter Fighter - and the Fighter gets to pick either better crits or Battlemaster for utility effects or boosting the die of the hits that happen to miss (which at 1d6+15 is well-worth doing).
>>
>>52169433
You don't ever need to dual wield with a hand crossbow. With Crossbow expert you never need another weapon, although you can sort of do some weird interactions with picking up and dropping a Heavy Crossbow if you really want to meme it up
>>
>>52169334

>>Disruption not good?
>>Int save psuedo-blind
>>Int save Incapacitate
>>Mind Storm followed by something like Psychic Crush

I think that one is underrated especially with daze nuking all the Barbarians of the world
>>
>>52169433
Who would take dual-wielder over CE? It is one of the worst feat.
>>
It's good seeing Wizards making content like the mystic, it bodes well for the game.
>>
>>52169450
I just think the other, comparable options are generally better. Mind Storm is pretty damned good in a party set up to target saves though, that should have gotten a + from me.
>>
Hmmm... while I can use the respective factions of Graz'zt, Juiblex, Zuggtmoy, Yeenoghu, Lolth, and Orcus as legitimate antagonists from the beginning to the end of the campaign, Demogorgon and Baphomet don't seem to have any signature low CR minions, do they? I suppose the Merrow work for Demogorgon, though are awkward at CR 2 and being aquatic.
>>
>>52166805
Instead of drawing on the force of a higher power, the warlock makes a pact with a group of supernatural, but not incredibly powerful entities (a dozen minor fey/demons, etc)?

>>52167832
The way I'd rule it, fulfilling your purpose wouldn't really count as "death". So it wouldn't trigger the Psionic Body dice roll.
>>
>>52169500
aboleth, kraken, ixitxachitls, hezrous, aboleths, scrags, skum, retrievers, golems, other evil constructs troglodytes, kuo-toa, and other humanoids, particularly evil humans

All specifically called out on his FR wiki page.
>>
>>52166451
>This UA

Mearls really does hate monks.
>>
>>52169526
Aha, perfect.
>>
>>52169538
Why didn't Mearls they just combine Monks and Mystics in the first place?

I don't see that many problems with it, really, other than them being two different beasts in the previous versions.

Now we just gotta make a Psionic Monastic Tradition.
>>
>>52169541
Baphomet had a multitude of minotaur, ogre and giant followers and minions. He was also served by ghour demons, a race of demons resembling burly, hairless minotaurs which commanded troops of these mortal minions

The other post was Demogorgon, which i didn't say
>>
>>52169538
Mechanically they do wildly different things, there is nothing to bitch about.
>>
>>52169552
Nice. Half ogres ought to work as a low CR Baphomet minion.
>>
>>52169557
Except Wu Jen being literal Xuize (cultivators) on which Monks are based on.
They even get flying swords.

It's no longer funny.
And they are both based on using mystical energy to use magic in a different way.

I wouldn't be as mad if Mystic wasn't Int based,
>>
>>52169571
>Except

Nothing in your post contradicted mine.

The most obvious comparison is Paladins (based off Sir Holger and Peers of Charlemagne) and Clerics (based off Van Richten and Knights Templar). Very, very similar flavorwise, to the point that many dumb down the concept of a paladin to be "slightly more aggressive and militant cleric," wildly different mechanics.
>>
How are these spells for a 3rd level bard?

1: Cure Wounds, Dissonant Whispers, Feather Fall, Faerie Fire
2: Heat Metal, Detect Thoughts

Also considering Calm Emotions, Invisibility, Suggestion
>>
Variant Human (Moderately Armored), Mystic (Wu Jen), 16 DEX, picks Mastery of Force, Mastery of Wood and Earth, and Bestial Form, casts Tough Hide and Inertial Armor, and wields a shield.

That's 22 AC, right? (14 + 3(DEX) + 2 (shield) + 2 (Tough Hide) + 1 (Wood and Earth focus).
>>
>>52167832
Insane Revenant, that's what. Take the character from your player and turn it into a boss for the rest of them. A soul who can get no rest despite his purpose being fulfilled, denied the afterlife they have worked for, they cease to resemble themself before death, and become some howling abomination that screeches and hurls psychic power randomly in every direction. A bit like if a severely autistic person suddenly turned into superman.
>>
>>52169620
Healing word's better. Why Feather Fall? Planning on jumping off a cliff?
>>
>>52169636
>Healing word's better
I'm the only healer and cure wounds scales better though?

>Planning on jumping off a cliff?
You never know.
>>
>>52167180
A one level dip hardly matters.

For monk you normally need 6 levels for the multiclass to work.
So no.

But if you run a high level campaign i reccomend going with OH monk/hunter ranger.
>>
>>52169655
It's far more important to reach out and heal a downed compatriot than it is to heal slightly more per spell level.
>>
>>52169620
Are Spike Growth and Silence level 2 Bard spells too? I think so.

You WANT the holy trifecta of Spike Growth, Heat Metal, and Silence.
>>
>>52169655
Cure wound eat your action. You could use healing word and do vicious mockery, attack with bow or help action. Also healing word has better range.

And like the other guy said, the only time you want to cast a healing spell is when you want to get your friend up from umconciousness.

Everyone can fight equally whether they have full health or 1 hp.
>>
>>52169620
For class that has limited spell know...
It's better to learn spell that has general use and versatility rather than a niche sotuational spell.
>>
Did Mearl just fix Wot4E Monk by making it into a mystic?
>>
>>52169748
It's fine for me. I ban mystics anyway.
>>
>hobgoblin tires of mindless battle and seeks more from life
>studies and becomes mystic
>seeks power and to lead/control others so avatar
>mask quirk so party doesn't know he's a monster
>subtly uses party for own personal gain
Does this seem like an alright character? I've been forever dm the past 2 years and this is the first pc I've made in a very long time.
>>
>>52169630
Moderately Armored just gets them proficiency with medium armor and shields. They'd need Medium Armor Mastery to get all +3 of their Dex bonus to AC.
>>
>>52169690
Silence is, Spike Growth isn't.

>>52169672
>>52169698
Fair points, you've convinced me. Range is more important for clutch healing than HP per buck.
>>
>>52169821
> subtly use the party for own personal gain

This could be bad. Don't make a jerk character.
>>
>>52169714
no wizard in the party
I can't really think of what to take in Feather Fall's place other than Tasha's or Earth Tremor
>>
File: 1486909888992.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1486909888992.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>Mind meld

What's the point in having insight anymore?

Just ask 'Okay, show me the memory of the thing you did'
If it doesn't have the memory, it's lying.
If it doesn't choose to give you the memory, it's lying.
If it gives you a memory and it's incorrect, it's lying.
If it gives you the memory and it's correct, it's telling the truth.
>>
>>52169845
Is there anything you'd recommend for the same vibe? I'm playing with friends so I'd rather not come off as an asshole lmao.
>>
>>52169881
What if they have Alzheimer's?
>>
>>52169881
Mind meld can only be use on a willing target.
>>
>>52169893
>If they don't have the memory, they're lying

The only way they could be telling the truth is if they GUESSED the truth, because they don't remember if they're telling the truth or not.

I suppose it could be 'Well, I forgot, but I think I would do this, and here's a memory showing that I typically do these things even if it's not the right one'
Though that'd be pretty suspicious
>>
>>52169833
He's not wearing armor, just wielding a shield.
>>
>>52169902
>if they're not willing they're lying
>>
>>52169891
Just change it to subtly manipulate NPCs for the party gain.

I would assume that he warm up to the other party member at some point.
>>
>>52169902
That makes the only reason to use insight to use it on hostiles.

How often do you think 'Hm, wait a minute, maybe we should stop fighting because this guy trying to beat us up might actually be telling the truth?'
...Sometimes, I imagine. Someone could call a bluff saying 'There's a bomb under this building!'
However, you could say 'Well, if there's a bomb under this building, show me.'
.. So even then, you could still use it on a hostile.
>>
>>52169915
That is a fallacy. Silence is not equal to admission of guilt. What if someone geas him? What if his mother teach him not to talk to strange vpice in his head?
>>
>>52169932
Well should've been willing cuz now you're dead for lying.
>>
>>52169881
>What's the point in having insight anymore?
Mind Blank
>If it doesn't choose to give you the memory, it's lying.
I feel like this is an assumption that could easily bite you in the ass.
>If it gives you the memory and it's correct, it's telling the truth.
Or someone cast Modify Memory on them.
>>
>>52169940
Too bad anon. I am also a mystic. You believe in whatever I said to be the truth for 5 minute
>>
>>52169940
>Get questioned, tell the truth 100%
>Don't want some random creepy psychic poking around in your brain
>"He's fucking lying, git 'im!"
>>
>>52169951
The only reason I can think they wouldn't give it to you is

A) they don't understand your ability
B) Person A 'Hey, I heard rumours there is a bomb under this building, person B put it there'
Person B 'I'm not going to tell you whether or not there is a bomb under this building'
In this case there COULD be a bomb down there or not (Because whether or not there is a bomb, he doesn't want you to find out)
On the other hand
Person B 'There is a bomb under this building'
There is no reason for them to not give you the memory, because they just told you there's a bomb under here and if they didn't want you to know there's a bomb then they wouldn't have mentioned it.
>>
>>52169972
>implying this isn't the proper way to play the game
>>52169958
Pretty sure you could make a paradox out of this
>>
>>52167097
So Mystic can't outstun and outunarmed damage monk, so why do you fell Mystic beats Monk in everything Monkish?
>>
File: dai li.png (89KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
dai li.png
89KB, 333x250px
>>52169958
Gives me an idea for a concept
>Mystic Police force
>Rules the city with an Iron fist, makes a mockery of the mayor
>Acts as secret keepers and enforcers ala Dai Li of Ba Sing Se
>Most aren't true Mystics anymore, their corruption has made them lazy and unable to use the abilities that require such strength of will
>Instead recruit very weak sorcerers and wizards, give them a badge and tell them to use their powers however they see fit.
>True Mystic has to come to correct the problem
>>
File: Fucking Psionics.jpg (168KB, 773x961px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Psionics.jpg
168KB, 773x961px
They really didn't save words with the Mystic. Trying to make a somewhat feasible psionic archetype is basically hell.

Making an Open Mind monk, something of an EK turned into a Psionic Monk, try to... Wrap your head around that.

Getting those Psi point totals right is really difficult. I think they might currently have too much of them, because I'm thinking of the possibility of turning Ki to Psi and vice versa. Or something, we will see.
>>
>>52170015
>Way of the Open Mind
>Bisexual monks everywhere
>>
>>52169972
>Teach the world to stop fearing what is literally just telepathic communication

It's like teaching the world to use phones.
>>
>>52170023
I didn't even realize that until I posted it.
>>
>>52167097
>it's better to be a caster

Magic resistance says hi. There are quite a few magic resistant foes that are very weak against con attacks.

>or a barbarian/rogue multiclass and grapple everything that I shove prone

I guess that's nice if your goal isn't to disable magic resistant casters, which are genuinely the most horrendous threat in the game.

Monks have a distinct role. If you don't like it, fine, play something else, but don't impotently whine about how "ermagerd, my dude who chooses to not use weapons psionics or spells isn't the same as them but better! BAWWW"
>>
>>52170059
>Way of the Open Mind
>I use quivering brain
>>
>>52170088
Nice dubs, and great concept.
>>
>>52170088
>Literally focusing your mind to make someone's head explode

Well, that is basically Mind Crush, no?
>>
>>52170061
That's monk's problem, though.

Many people want to play a monk that ISN'T a stungun, or has some utility outside of being a stungun or isn't a stungun at all but uses a variety of deliberations.

They get on WOT4E hoping to do all the cool bending abilities they saw on totallyananime but in the end it turns out they're still really best off just being a stun gun.
>>
>>52170104
First you have to set off some imperceptible vibrations inside their brain, wait a while, make them make a check, then explode their head. Or forcefully push their liquified brain out of their nose.
>>
>>52170041
Except it's not just telepathic communication. Mind Meld lets the mystic look at (one of) your memories which, when combined with the fact that the mystic might be a) a complete stranger and b) a freak, is something people might not want.
>>
>>52170100
If you wanted to make it less OP you could instead of instant kill make it permanent feeblemind instead. Say it gives them a stroke. Or severe autism.
>>
>>52170124
>>52170135

Ought to be pretty funny. I'm sure a psionic monk will be coming too, there was one even in the shadowy in between time between OD&D and 1e.
>>
>>52169551
Monk rapes casters + things casters have troubles with, mystic is a bizarre analog to a caster. They have very different roles. Its like paladin and cleric.
>>
>>52170135
>The Mystic gets a second discipline at 6th level, a third discipline at 11th level and a fourth discipline at 16th level.
>No archetype gets an additional pair of disciplines.
>If you are choosing a discipline from an archetype's 'school of disciplines' that isn't your own, you can't choose another discipline from that school. For example, an Awakened Mystic can't have more than one Avatar discipline, or more than one Wu Jen discipline, and so on.
>The psi limit applies to how many psi points you may spend in a round, instead of applying to how many psi points you may spend on a single use of a discipline.

Does this fix the Mystic's ridiculous versatility?
>>
>>52170114
Well, to revise what I said,
Monk's problem is that
1. It doesn't play how everyone expects it to whereas when you play a barbarian you know you're going to be tough. Monk's role is more dubious.
2. It's hard to build. Most people don't realize how important dex/wis is for them, that they're not a tank, that it's bad for multiclassing, that there's only maybe one good feat for them.
3. It's boringly simple to play after you overcome the build hurdle. How to play monk: First, get in range of the enemy. Then hit them. Then use stunning fist. Then move away from them. All other ki-using abilities are situational except the one for resistance to almost everything and invisibility and all that.
Though, shadow monks in particular get some stealth gameplay tacked on.

>>52170125
Yes, but you have to actually convey the image.

It's like posting on an image board. That image is there because you're uploading it.
>>
>>52170214
>It doesn't play how everyone expects it to

A typically unarmored, unarmed guy on the battlefield can be obviously intuited to do less damage and take less punishment than the armored guy with a big sword. That's intuitive.

He runs faster because he has no armor, and the most plausible enemies for him to fight are other lightweight types that avoid the front line. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

>It's hard to build

Dex and wis, man. People have been *trying* to build them like that since 3.0.

>boringly simple

Yeah... depends on the DM style and party composition. More than that, people play melee martial dudes primarily *for* simplicity. Not many people actually drool over *playing* a wizard, they just want to engage in penis measuring with him.
>>
>>52170304
New thread.
>>52170304
>>
My current campaign is gonna be converted to 5e (from 4e).
I'm overjoyed the Mystic came out since I play Psion (another player as well).
I would like some advices for the conversion.
Minor thing: the race of the char is Kalashtar, I used it because I wanted telepathy, the race itself doesn't exist in the setting (not!Ravnica),
I used the excuse that it was a modified human, point that my DM used as a plot hook for the initial part of the campaign (2 and a half year of irl sessions).
I can just use Human at this point, since telepathy is given to Mystics.
The important feature I'd like to recreate is my Psion Focus from 4e, the Shaping Focus. Summarized, I could create from thin air nonmagical objects that would vanish shortly after (combat encounter or 5 minutes if not in combat) and I could create a spectral image of my char that could move, perceive, communicate and use Psionics powers as if I were there. After briefly reading the Psionic Disciplines nothing seems to fit with these description. Are there any multiclassing I can do to recreate these effects? Thanks in advance
>>
>>52168637
>are in the same discipline, so you can't stack them
Where does it say that? You can use multiple from the same discipline, you just can't stack the same ability more than once. So you can't use Lethal strike say twice at once.
Thread posts: 369
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.