[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: New arcana edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 19

File: Food.jpg (65KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Food.jpg
65KB, 500x281px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Food and provisions
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>52161268

Let's continue discussing the newest arcana. How do you feel about it?
>>
First for Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party
>>
Second for updated Arseplomancy
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Arseplomancer#5e_Unearthed_Arcana
>>
>>52163931
>Let's continue discussing the newest arcana. How do you feel about it?

I'm about halfway through the disciplines, but there are some obvious balance oversights. I appreciate that mearls and crawford are experimenting with new things, but I would appreciate it if wizards would hire someone more competent (literally anyone on DMSguild) to experiment.
>>
>>52163969

>DM's Guild
>Competent

Fucking kek
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12523063
>>
>>52163954
fucking heretical
>>
>>52163991
> Deep stalker conclave leads
That's unexpected. I don't even remember what it does.
>>
8th for peasant army
>>
>>52162305
Why though?
>>
10th for wot4e mystic
>>
File: 3b11ce2cc5018fac15966fe15dec48b5.jpg (676KB, 705x1100px) Image search: [Google]
3b11ce2cc5018fac15966fe15dec48b5.jpg
676KB, 705x1100px
>Nomadic Mind

>Psychic Focus. Whenever you focus on this
discipline, you choose one skill or tool and have proficiency with it until your focus ends.

Why are they still doing this?
>>
>>52163931
>How do you feel about it?
I'm literally crying of joy, I have been waiting for this since the beginning, and it's everything I've ever wanted
>>
>>52164054
13th for necromancer skelly army + animal shapes druid for tons of giant scorpions
>>
>>52164083
nah that's the last straw, banned at my table.
>>
>>52164069
Well, for Theming, they're already ahead, because they literally use the power of the mind to enhance their bodies power, withstand strikes that could kill a lesser man and punch someone through walls.
Statwise i'm unsure, but i'm sure another anon can enlighten you.
>>
>>52163931
>Let's continue discussing the newest arcana. How do you feel about it?

I've got some pretty mixed feelings.
I like it a lot in some respects, but it also really steps on the toes of other classes pretty hard. That I don't like.
>>
One nice thing about the Mystic is that it makes strength wizard builds pretty pointless.

Now you can just do a Swole Mystic and Punch the fuck out of shit. You just need to decide if you are going Iron Fist or Luke Cage because you probably don't have the PPs to do both.
>>
>>52164110
what, was the rest of the stuff about leaping up cliffs and summoning elementals somehow alright but being good with something for a turn is somehow too much?
>>
>>52164110
Honestly I want to love it but this doesn't seemed balanced at all. I'd need some serious proof from players before I'll allow it.
>>
Aight, so there's a bunch of 3rd party stuff in the bin, which of it is actually any good?
>>
>>52164122
Was anyone doing strength wizards to begin with?
>>
>Hone the Blade
>+1
>+2
>+4

That's a typo, right?
>>
>>52164083

At least the Thief still has some decent functionality.

However Nomad/Rogue multiclasses are going to be skillwizard extraordinaire
>>
>guy in my group has an abomination of a multiclass monk/wizard so he can be an alter self monk with some other spell utility
>immortal completely btfo his entire build at level 1
>>
>>52164054
Divine word against peasant army
>>
>>52164083
At least they took out weapon and armor proficiency...
>>
>>52164113
Mechanically wise I'm not seeing it
>>
They can't be serious with the mystic. Am I the only person who feels like it can do everything, everyone else can do? It's a caster, a buffer, a melee fighter, a tank, a skill monkey and everything. This isn't good for the system even if it is cool.
>>
>>52164161
>1,2,4,8,16...
No
>>
>>52164127
you ever hear about the camel and the straw sonny jim?
>>52164130
I know my players, they will abuse the shit out of it, and they will see all the exploitables I see. I will not allow this class in anything but a memefest oneoff. I almost want to say the homebrew was more balanced.
>>
The real problem for me is they can just do fucking everything. And do it well.
>>
>>52164197
Just like most of the casters?
>>
Can anyone explain me Psychic Weapon focus ability? you don't add Str or Dex to your attacks? why?
>>
>>52164222
I'd run an all Mystic party for fun. Mostly because they'd all be similar but still have completely different abilities.

Any other situation this shit's more banned then Lore Master.
>>
Did Wizards of the Coast completely phone in this class from levels 11-20? There are no new higher-level effects at all; a mystic simply receives large packs of psi points with which to activate lower-level effects.

Could they not be bothered to write genuine higher-level abilities?
>>
>Mystics can only take disciplines from their order
>Get two additional from any order
Does this make it more balanced?
>>
>>52164197
They can't do it at the same time. Mystic is more like a "build your own class" thing.
>>
>>52164260
Who needs them when your low level abilities are better than the capstone of some other classes.
>>
>>52164197

Honestly it hasn't been mathhammered yet. It looks good but the PP economy is going to limit it's ability to go full NOVA all fight erry fight.

Keep in mind that it definitely lacks some of the AoE and control abilities of regular casters.

But it looks ridiculously strong versus single target casters and shit classes like the Monk.

I don't see it replacing the Battlemaster/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard/UA Ranger/etc/ but yes it's going to shit all over most of the Monk builds because it has way way more options than they do.
>>
>>52164197
UA is basically non cannon cannon until they put it in the adventures guild or a physical book it is just official homebrew basically
>>
>>52164267
Sort of, but then you need to make one for the knife soul fags.
>>
>>52164260
I like it this way. The large numbers of psi points using the disciplines 7 point abilities allows for some superhuman combos. like jumping up a 120ft cliff, then punching someone 70ft off said 120ft cliff.
>>
>>52164267
Nomad gets shafted without the addition of more disciplines. Unless you make the nomad's schick that it can grab disciplines from other orders
>>
>>52164260
They don't need any additional features. The benefit of becoming a high level Mystic is that you can use the low-level abilities all the fucking time, that you can turn the abilities that were nova at level 10 into at-will at level 20 through the sheer glut of psi points.
>>
Who need arcane archer when you got nomadic arrow?
>>
>>52164246
One: its your damage rolls, not your attack rolls.
Two: You have a magical weapon that deals fucking psychic damage, no shit you can't add more onto that. I'm surprised they lifted it at level 6 and not 10.
>>
>>52164268
Why is it though? Shouldn't it have a real class identity compared to others?

I can understand they wanted to avoid class bloat but couldn't the Soul Knife had been a monk? Couldn't the immortal be a fighter?

Giving a pile of abilities and saying pick whatever you want isn't going to lead to anything balanced.
>>
Hah.
Time to build an evil mystic into a bbeg.
He'll be really cool and overpowered as fuck.

But at least action economy should be able to kill him.
>>
>>52164288
>They choose from the immortal list
>>
>>52163931

May as well have a party of mystics as they can fill every niche role in the game
>>
One really nice role for the Mystic is as a way to buff up some NPCs without having to stat up full casters or give them too much gear to loot.

Make some hobgoblin soul-knife assassins to send after the PCs and you can scare them without potentially giving them magic weapons.
>>
>>52164314
> build monster using PC rule
enjoy having it die in 1 round.
>>
>>52164317
this is already the 7th time this post has been made here since the release.
>>
Mystic is hilariously overpowered and over versatile.

A level 9 soul knife can kill an Adult Black Dragon in 2 turns by rolling average damage by stacking Bestial Form onto Brute Force. At level 14, he can make the Dragon's AC 10. Shit in Every Paladin's mouth while you do this, and take 5 other disciplines to shit on every other class while you're at it.
>>
>>52164337
>implying I won't bloat the shit out of its HP

Come on, anon.
>>
>>52164276
I think someone at WotC likes adventuring days with 4-6 fights per day so they actually think these numbers are balanced for us scrubs who can barely get in 2 per session if lucky.
>>
>>52164305
>you deal 1d8 damage without Str or Dex up till 6th level
Woah, so strong
>>
>>52164344
anyone calculated the max damage it's possible to do in one turn with the mystic yet?
>>
Official tier list:

God Tier:
Awakened Mind
Great tier:
Wu Jen

Good tier:
Nomad

Shit Tier
Immortal
Knife Asshole
>>
>>52164355
Presumably you can make two attacks as they're considered light, by using your bonus action.
Thus the trade off between deciding to ready a parry or not.
>>
>>52164113
They have more defense than monks, but knowing they only have one attack their damage is piss poor, dunno if can surpass monk even if spending psy like crazy
>>
>>52164374
Note, this is based on discipline lists, not the actual subclasses. Subclass wise, a Knife Asshole picking up awakened mind disciplines is probably the best.
>>
>>52164344
I want to wake up from this nightmare, open my laptop and find UA: Food and Provisions waiting for me. It's better then this, anything's better then this.
>>
>>52164344

Why do you assume you can stack brute strike + soul knife + bestial claws?

I think you could stack brute strike with either bestial claws or the soul knife. Both however suck down PPs like skittles.
>>
>Mighty leap
People say it overrides the jump limit, why? I don't see it in the description. Jump spell makes your jump distance be x3 and doesn't override the cap, why Mighty leap does?
>>
>>52164355
>i'm going to ignore the rest of the discipline because fuck logic
Yes, you deal 1d8 psychic+1d10 psychic per psi point and you get to fucking hit the dude on a dex save and ignore their AC. Or, even better, you just make a fucking +3 weapon for 10 minutes, either yourself or your fighter friend, for 5 psi points.
>>
>>52164428

Specific trumps general bro
>>
So Soul Knife can't learn any discipline? What do they do with all their extra psi points?
>>
>Immortal doesn't get Armor and weapon proficiencies
>Stuck with Dex+Con+10 and shitty weapons
>Have to constantly spend psy to deal any damage
So 7d10+Str at best? that's 43.5 per turn while spending psy like a madman? seems pretty subpar
>>
>>52164425
doesn't matter how much PPs it uses. The point is it can nova hard enough to kill a fucking Adult Black Dragon at level 9 in 2 turns. After that you can long rest and go fight another fucking dragon.

>>52164463
They don't get extras and but they can take them from anyone's list.
>>
>>52164463
Discipline isn't restrict by order.
>>
>>52164463
Soul knife gets disciplines, just fewer of them
>>
>>52164463
Soul Knife can learn ANY discipline dude. There aren't any restrictions on the disciplines each Order can learn.

>>52164425
if you remove the soul knives you can still, at max with the luckiest roll, do 112 damage in one hit.
>>
>>52164452
Jump spell doesn't, why mighty leap does?
Step of the wind doesn't, why mighty leap does?
>>
>>52164127
>he has a problem with leaping up cliffs
lol what the fuck
>>
>>52164490
Because Jump and Step of the wind only increase your natural jump limit.
>>
>>52164472
>Being able to force an adult dragon into melee
>>
>>52164472

Herp, derp the Black Dragon just stands there and lets the soul knife melee it for a couple of rounds.

The Soul Knife can do some decent damage but honestly just about every class with Nova damage can do some serious damage which is why big meatbags solo encounters tend to be incredibly shitty encounters just like they've been in every edition of the game since 1e.
>>
>>52164498
I got no problem with it, Personally I want to be able to do that. What I really want is to be able to jump up on the balcony of the BBEG while he's monologuing and use knock back to hurl him 70 feet off of the balcony.
>>
>>52164474
Yo, you serious? That seems kind of weird. I guess it doesn't say "prerequisite" for it.
>>
>>52164425
Bestial Claws allows you to make a melee weapon attack. This means you use your equipped weapon and for the Soul Knife, that would be the soul knife.

Brute Force can be applied to that.

So, 14 psi-points for 1d8+7d10+7d6+any other modifiers you elect to add on. Or alternatively, 7 psi-points for 1d8+7d6 against AC 10, if you're going up against a heavily armored bulwark.

Sadly, you can't stack Bestial Claws with Phantom Knife.
>>
>>52164490
jump and step of the wind have durations, mighty leap is one single jump that you cast. it's sort of like a manual teleport, desu.
>>
>>52164513
Can leap 20 feet per PP to hit him.
>>
>>52164513
>not being able to force an adult dragon in to melee
laughinggirls.exe
>>
>>52164527

Mystic is your friend for doing Wuxia action like balancing on bamboo trees or running across a lake.
>>
>>52164378
If you're a Soulknife, if you're an Immortal you're fucked.

Pretty weird the discipline fucks the main Order.
>>
>>52164541
Literally in the document brah.
> However, a mystic can learn any discipline regardless of its associated order
>>
>>52164520
>big meatbags solo encounters tend to be incredibly shitty encounters just like they've been in every edition of the game since 1e.
I think this is a major problem with 5e. I don't ever feel like the monsters are ever really more than big ol' bags of hitpoints and XP. Very rarely are they a threat.
>>
>>52164570
discipline isn't restricted by order you know.
>>
My biggest problem is they seem like they're throwing out old design decisions in favor of making the class more powerful.

Even simple shit like the avatar being able to influence people's moods but then it says "if they succeed the save they don't know you tried to do anything to them lol"

Then why the fuck should you roll an enchanter. The biggest "oh fuck" moments are when you fail to charm someone in an otherwise peaceful engagement.
>>
>>52164551
Add Knock Back for 7d6 more if you can bat them into a wall.
>>
what was that wizard school that made clockwork constructs called again? I'm looking through the homebrew but I can't find it
>>
>>52164576
Yeah sorry, somehow I missed that.
>>
>>52164583
yes and? that doesn't affect my statement in the slightless
>>
>>52164551

Nope you knob

Bestial claws manifests claws not your psi-knife. It's one or the other idiot
>>
>>52164551
Bestial claw is an actual "weapon" you don't use your knife
>>
>>52164579
That's why I generally focus on the adventure to get there rather than the stupid meatbag.

My favorite adventures to run at low level at this point had for bbeg: a fat aristocrat who was intended to be useless in combat without his three goons, who the players dispatched quietly; literally no one unless you count the skeleton they expected to attack them any minute in an anatomical research lab; a single wizard whose main danger was the ability to remain generally undetected by the castle staff, not his prowess once found out.
>>
>>52164588
so, a mystic can, for the cost of 28 psi points, or 35 if the target is heavily armoured, do 7d10+1d8+4+7d6+7d6 which at max rolls for all would do 166 damage. or at average, 83 damage
>>
>>52164636
That's over three hundred if he crits and rolls well.
>>
>>52164636
>>52164604
correction for this, 154 max or 77 average
>>
>>52164636
Twice a day at 20th level

A fighter deals more once every combat
>>
File: 1462644798394.jpg (207KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1462644798394.jpg
207KB, 1600x1200px
I have a question regarding "Slow Natural Healing" from page 267 of the DMG.
The variant indicates that rather than gain back full HP at the end of a long rest, instead, players must spend hit dice as they do at the end of a short rest.

My question is: Should players gain back half their hit dice before they spend them for the long rest, or after?

I've looked into this, and have not found a clear confirmation of why one option may be better than the other, nor what the original intent of the rule was.

The Long Rest description indicates you regain HD at "the end of a long rest," but the variant in the DMG says you spend the HD at the end as well, so it's unclear.

As far as I can tell, the scenarios are extremely similar (assuming you allow a short rest to quickly follow a long rest).

Does anyone have thoughts or confirmation on which is better or what was intended?
>>
>>52164636
I hope you're keeping track of which attacks use modifiers and all the various action / bonus / timing requirements of those abilities.
>>
Does anyone at WotC own a calculator?
>>
>>52164632
I'm trying to do that but I feel like I'm flailing about too much, that neither I or the players have any focus. I think my current encounter philosophy is flawed. I'm doing singular, very strong random encounters every long rest but I think I just need to step the random encounters up to at least 2 medium ones to burn down their resources and 1 deadly to try and really hurt em.
>>
Is there any reason to go immortal order at all?
>>
>>52164680
I do several medium encounters before any deadly ones. This way the players are going to be somewhat on the back foot.

Action economy favors the numerically superior side, no matter the individual strength.
>>
>>52164636

Yes if your DM has a failure of reading comprehension and allows you to stack stuff that doesn't stack.

Honestly if the Mystic bugs people so much then just make the psychic limit a per turn limit not a per discipline limit.

That way you limit them to a 7 PP nova per turn. Which is probably closer to the intended power level
>>
>>52164680
Not him but I just avoid making things too formulaic. I just do what makes sense.

Last session players went in the underdark and shot at a web they could've avoided entirely. But they messed with it and a shit ton of giant spiders came to fuck them up.

I didn't balance this based on what they might encounter later. I balanced it based on what made sense. Now if they had a wizard who could have fireballed that shit it would've just been a spell slot. Instead they had quite a fight.
>>
>>52164690
No, Soul Knife pretty much makes Immortal irrelevant
>>
File: mysticwarriors.jpg (104KB, 564x733px) Image search: [Google]
mysticwarriors.jpg
104KB, 564x733px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ClCscV9gA8
Found my next campaign for an all-Mystic group.
>>
>>52164720
Immortal has two additional disciplines
>>
>>52164667
not even 20th level dude. 9th
>>52164670
nope, let me recalculate then, and add possible crits:
7d10+7d6+7d6 = 154 max, or if you had a perfect roll 308 crit.
average damage 77 or on a crit 154
>>
>>52164717
Yeah, I think i'm getting too attached to XP calculations rather than just going for it.
>>52164703
Problem with more encounters is that my players are slow as shit and I'm not much better. I need to get them to make me cheat sheets, I think, of their shit so I don't have to ask them.
>>
>>52164720

Soul Knife sucks bro

If you want to be a punch wizard or a kensai or a beastman or a luchador the immortal is way way more fleixible than lol Psylocke
>>
>>52164680
If I'm planning encounter heavy situations they tend to

I run a variant on the longer rest times; I have short rests as normal, but a long rest is only daily if they're not on the road, otherwise it's only on days where they're not straining (like going over the 8 hours exertion limit). I've been considering just using the gritty rest rule but I don't want to gimp short rest resources that much.
>>
>>52164737
At 9th level you have 57 psi points, you can only deal that amount of damage once per day.

Fighter deals that once every combat.
>>
>>52164757
>If I'm planning encounter heavy situations they tend to
Welp, not only did I accidentally a paragraph, I completely forgot the ending of the sentence.
>>
>>52164690
If you multiclass, yes, if not, no.
>>
>>52164758
yeah but fighters can't melt people with their minds you cuck
>>
>>52164690
Go Immortal, take Wu-Jen disciplines.
>>
>>52164758
alright, i'm guessing you want me to ask how, judging from your insistence.
>>
>>52164777
>the autistic class turns out to be an autist magnet
>>
>>52164782
I'm gonna guess GWM or PAM with Action Surge for four hits, and a Battlemaster could spam maneuvers.
>>
>>52164793
I'm one of the DMs banning mystic I just wanted to fling some shit
>>
>>52164743
Most of the medium encounters last like 2 rounds and the players feel good cause they mop up.

Then I spring a deadly on them and I've sent them running twice now. I don't DM to kill, so I let them run, and they feel good cause they got everyone out safe. Usually they'll win though, with maybe one of the six down.

Slow players, in my experience is due to unfamiliarity with the game, and in that case it's probably best to not try to really push hard encounters. Let them win while everyone gets comfortable. You can pull the stops out later.
>>
>>52164782
?
Not really, I thought you'd know by now, Battlemaster Action surge GWM
>>
>yfw you realize disciplines are just magic maneuvers
>>
MY NIGGAS

What would you say if you took the Mastery of X disciplines and gave the Wot4e monk a choice to select one at level 3. Then another at level 6, 11, and 17.

Make it a bonus action to switch current focuses. Using ki points to activate psi abilities.

Thoughts? Maybe get rid of the ability to summon elementals though I dunno.
>>
>When immortal disciplines enhance better other orders than immortal's
This is weird
>>
>>52164851
>this is weird
so is how you chose to word your discovery
>>
>>52164757
RAW you can't benefit from a long rest more than once every 24 hours.
>>52164813
I'm just trying to figure out how to do a medium encounter with non-mindless things. I dislike the idea that all monsters are suicidal and fight to the last breath but I know if any of them run off the players will try and chase because at least two of them are murderhobos. I don't want to pull out the chase rules so I'm not sure how to adjudicate this.
>>
>>52164851
I don't even care, I literally just want to try the anal explosion maneuver to see what my DM does.
>>
The mystic is honestly everything I wanted. There's a lot of information there that I'm still trying to process. Which disciplines do you all think stand out the most? Which order do you like most?
>>
>>52164865
How would you prefer me to word it?
>>
>>52164872
>RAW you can't benefit from a long rest more than once every 24 hours.
Oh, I know, I didn't mean they get o long rest every eight hours. I'm just going by an old AD&D assumption that a day with more than 8 hours of significant physical activity is a day where you start getting strained.

E.g. wizards couldn't spend more than eight hours a day memorizing and overland travel speed was based on an eight hours walking day.
>>
>>52164881
Nomad looks the most fun even if it's not the "best" order
>>
>>52164882
>the immortal disciplines enhance other orders better than itself
>>
>>52164881
>Which disciplines do you all think stand out the most?
I will quote you:
>There's a lot of information there that I'm still trying to process.

>Which order do you like most?
Wu Jen
>>
>>52164881

Nomad.

Be the Vistani
>>
>>52164872
Do your players not have ranged weapons? If a typical enemy runs, they have to disengage to avoid AoOs from the fighter/barb and then can only move 30 feet. Fodder for your ranged guy.

I often have my medium encounters run, as they're usually guards for the later deadly, or random encounters on the way there. They usually don't get far.

The medium encounters are meant to use up party resources, so I usually have them easily solved by a few spell slots, or such things. They're not meant to actually be dangerous, so having the monsters run makes sense.
>>
>>52164872
Don't be afraid to have monsters run away.
In all likelyhood their movement probably isn't enough to actually get away from your party if you have anyone with ranged abilities.

I usually just give a queue to the group that the monster has dropped their attack posture and appears to be running away. Then we stop initiative.

One of these days I'm gonna fuck them up when a more intelligent creature falls back to lure them into a false sense of safety.
>>
>>52164881
Stand out the Most? Probably the Immortal ones. Giant growth for strength and temp health, Diminution for stealth and escape, Brute force for additional damage and general movement utility, Celerity for additional attacks or out of combat movement utility, Iron Hide for defence. It's all very useful. And as another anon pointed out, it can be used for Arseplomancy one again.
>>
>>52164948
Entertainer or Charlatan Bard is still a superior vistani to fucking autism:the class
>>
>>52164881
Nomad or Wu Jen seems the coolest to me.
Nomad seems like something I'd actually like to create a character around. Wu Jen just feels like I could live out my avatar the last airbender fantasies but I wouldn't likely create anything very original.
>>
It's now possible to know every skill in the game at a lower level than ever, I think.

A Variant Human Bard with Lore College and Entertainer (or any, really) background, an Awakened Mystic level with the Nomadic Mind discipline and the Skilled feat. Isn't that everything?
>>
Damage-per-psi-point Disciplines:

>Bestial Form, Bestial Claws
1d10 slashing per psi, melee, attack roll
>Brute Force, Brute Strike
1d6 per psi, melee, requires successful melee hit
>Brute Force, Knock Back
1d6 bludgeoning per psi, melee, str sav or nothing
>Corrosive Metabolism, Corrosive Touch
1d10 acid per psi, melee, dex save or half
>Corrosive Metabolism, Venom Strike
1d6 poison per psi, 30 ft, con save or nothing
>Crown of Despair, Crowned in Sorrow
1d8 psychic per psi, 60 ft, cha save or half
>Crown of Disgust, Eye of Horror
1d6 psychic per psi, 60 ft, cha save or half
>Crown of Rage, Primal Fury
1d6 psychic per psi, 60 ft, cha save or half
>Mastery of Air, Wind Stream
1d8 bludgeoning per psi, 30 by 5 ft line, str save or half
>Mastery of Fire, Combustion
1d10 fire per psi, 120 ft, con save or half, 1d6 fire damage at end of each turn until conc ends or fire is put out
>Mastery of Force, Push
1d8 force per psi, 60 ft, str save or half
>Mastery of Ice, Ice Spike
1d8 cold per psi, 120 ft, dex save or half
>Mastery of Water, Desiccate
1d10 necrotic per psi, 60 ft, con save or half
>Mastery of Weather, Hungry Lightning
1d8 lightning per psi, 60 ft, dex save or half
>Mastery of Wood and Earth, Animate Weapon
normal one-handed weapon damage plus 1d10 force per psi plus discipline attack modifier, 30 ft, discipline attack roll
>Nomadic Arrow, Speed Dart
1d10 psychic per psi, ranged, requires successful ranged hit
>Psionic Weapon, Lethal Strike
1d10 psychic per psi, melee, requires successful melee hit
>Psychic Assault, Psionic Blast
1d8 psychic per psi, 60 ft, no rolls required
>Psychic Disruption, Distracting Haze
1d10 psychic per psi, 60 ft, int save or half
>Psychic Inquisition, Hammer of Inquisition
>Psychic Phantoms, Distracting Figment

Keep in mind, lots of these abilities have other effects if a target fails their save. This is just noting damage.
>>
>You can build a nightcrawler with nomad
Noice
>>
>>52164963
Pretty much the reason my melee-nut bard kept a hand crossbow or a pistol most times; you don't need the expert feat when you're mostly just using it to open fights or to finish off the ones trying to run.
>>
>>52163954
What IS this Kobold Dragon-hunting party meme, can someone explain it or its origins?
>>
>>52165033
>not balanced for multiclassing
>not balanced at all

But sure.
>>
>mystic actually happened
>Order of the Avatar is basically trying to be 4e Ardent
Oh baby, I like where this is going.
>>
I'm gonna say it now. Mystic was a mistake.
>>
>>52165003

Well, yes, but there's like, a whole different type of Vistani. You got the bards, you got the knowledge clerics, you got the assassins, idk, feels like there's a Mist Navigator class missing

Seeker patron warlock fits a little bit, so does bard at high levels, but nomad is a whole concept, which is nice
>>
>>52164302
Who needs arcane archer ever? It's just a shitty battlemaster.

Summonng 6 Shadows and STR draining people do death with sneak attacks is just one more great trick for the Mystic. Jeez I wish every class had this gonzo level of balance.
>>
>>52165081
We've already been saying this.
>>
>>52165096
Now I'm agreeing, at first I thought it was awesome and balanced.
>>
>>52164300
You get 64 points at 10. You get up to 115 points in a day at 20. I'm not seeing the glut of points.
>>
>>52165106
how far in to reading that 28 page fapfic did you think still think it was balanced
>>
so, what's the deal with UAs anyway? with all the requests of feedback, reviews and "playtesting" are they actually going to balance it all and release a hardcover 5.5 edition with the now "balanced" made into real canon or is there something im missing?
also, i was interested in the arcanist that was released a few weeks ago (i've been very busy the latest weeks), is it broken/balanced/bad/boring?
>>
Someone at wizards really just wanted to try out the variant "spell points" rule.

We already knew it was overpowered as fuck when it comes to nova-ing shit.
If anyone should be able to use that rule it should have been sorcerers.
>>
>>52165115
I didn't read the disciplines because I had just woken up.
>>
>>52165092

A shadow is actually my Undying Warlock's familiar.

He's a Doctor Facilier'esque character
>>
Mystic is totally balanced
>>
>>52164313
>Shouldn't it have a real class identity compared to others?
>I can understand they wanted to avoid class bloat but couldn't the Soul Knife had been a monk?
>Couldn't the immortal be a fighter?
You know these sentiments contradict each other.

Also, this way you can make different kinds of soul knife instead of just the single one covered by the archetype. Same for the rest of the orders.
>>
>>52165115
Not him, but I realized it was fucked as soon as I hit disciplines then looked back and saw how many they got. Then someone at wizards was like, "I know, lets give almost every archetype 2 extra ones!"
>>
>>52165124
The final result will probably be a Player's Handbook 2 containing the 2-3 most successful UA archetypes for each class.
>>
>>52165148
>tfw no hardcover middle finger of vecna player's handbook
>>
If I was to make a Twitter account or whatever to abuse someone about this shit, who should I be calling a dipshit?
>>
>>52165140
Mystic is balanced if at the other end of the scale are the rest of the classes sitting in a pile.
>>
>>52165140
We need to do some number crunching for damage
>>
>>52165148
>2-3 most successful UA archetypes for each class.
>The bard only got 2
>Even them were just the Nega-Version of each other

to bard is suffering. We're the most oppressed class in the game
>>
>>52165182
Apparently they can't do as much damage as a fighter though, so it's fine.
>>
>>52165188
I guess we could say fighter is holding the scale then.
>>
>>52165184
I wanna see the highest possible level 20 damage this baby can do.

>>52165186
To be fair the Glamour Bard was cool and the Whisper Bard just needs it's poison ability to get a buff.
>>
>>52165046
The 1-7 damage abilities are all traps that waste your psi.

Use your psi for the important, flashy abilities that require huge amounts of psi and have no scaling. Just use ordinary attacks or your psionic talents for your turn-to-turn damage dealing.
>>
question for lore nerds, which deity would be best for the dnd equivalent of a gypsy?
>>
Any useful methods of the Forge Clerics channel divinity? It seems so situational for that one time you need a specific tool but still have an hour to rest and make one even though what tool could you possibly need in short notice that you wouldn't be able to obtain or find without an hours notice.

Some of the only valid uses I can think of seem out of place thematically, such as getting imprisoned, but the rogue managed to slight-of-hand his silver amulet in, the cleric takes it and offers it to be forged into lockpicks so they can escape, assuming for some reason the guards don't immediately notice the ritual taking place.

Only real idea I've had for getting the most out of it is converting bulky treasure and art goods into trade bars, need something compact? Offer it in exchange for a 2lb gold brick, or even rare metals such as a 3 ounce brick of Platinum, Adamantine or Mithral.

Or possibly, 20lbs of Silver, which can be further refined into 4 tiny vials of holy water.
>>
If they limit to "points per turn" instead of per discipline all critiscism goes away
>>
>>52165148
neat, i hope they manage to add a few additional classes before it goes out, i really want a 5e warpriest and oracle, maybe a new additional page of feats and backrounds. the scarcity of those kinds of options are, in my opinion, the biggest flaw of 5e.
>>
>>52165177
I dunno. I follow mearls on twitter and he seems to reply to people often enough.

You'd probably get blocked though.
At the moment he seems to be on the "h-hey it's playtest guys, just chill for a sec"
>>
>>52164553
It says you jump as part of your movement though.
>>
>>52164349
does anyone actually ever do 4-6 fights/day? at most for my group its 1-2, with some days having none

the only exception being the dungeons where we may face 4-6 in the dungeon (one day)
>>
>>52165186
>bard is arguably the best class in the game
>we're oppressed

Surely you're trying to deceive me
>>
>>52165224
War Cleric and Theurge Wizard.
>>
>>52165084
I guess Nomad works on that concept. I do tend to make them, conceptually, Seeker locks if I need to throw in quick levels.
>>
>>52165213
When you get it at level 2 you can make people some better low level armour and weapons.
>>
>>52165207
so far 7d10 per attack
but only has 1 attack (unless TWF, PM or multiclasing for extra attack)
2d8 extra to one attack

Something among the lines of 2x8d10+2xStr = 108 if spending 14 psy per turn with PM and polearm profiency
>>
>>52165207

They're both cool as hell, but they're both suffering from "not-Lore Bard" bard syndrome.

Pure sex as shadow stealing may be, how often are you going to use it versus inspiring yourself?

Poison thing needs to be dropped, and then both subclasses need to be merged into one. They're basically the Charm/Fright version of each other anyway

I mean, that 10 minute performance thing is great, but unless the DM respect the bard, and holy crap, do DMs not respect the bard, you'll get a chance to do something like that for 10 WHOLE minutes maybe three times in your entire 1-20 campaign
>>
>>52165240
Yeah to be honest as a DM I often only run 2-3 fights most sessions. And have dungeons the ones that actually have several combats. Usually ending with a boss fight.

Luckily for me my players don't powergame and they're largely ignorant of the flaws of the system. On the off chance I do get to be a player myself I also don't powergame because I know how easy it is to break this shit the way most GMs run things.
>>
>>52165186
Whisper, Glamor, Jester, Blade
>>
>>52165224
The War Cleric covers warpriest pretty well. Oracle could be a Favored Soul Sorcerer or a Mystic Theurge.
>>
>>52165276
This all on top of stupid shit like turning Huge for melee fighters and smaller then tiny for people not using weapons.
>>
Mystic is my favorite class now (used to be warlock), I love it
>>
>>52165186
>to bard is suffering. We're the most oppressed class in the game

Satire Bard detected
>>
>>52165227
well i'd guess that's supposed to be you jump the distance you spent your psipoints on and if you have any movement left you can use it, but if the jump is over your movement then you can't move any more after the jump.
>>
>>52165212
It's entirely dependent on setting. The vistani actually don't really worship anything in RL, while in FR halflings largely fill the niche, but outside their pantheon I'd say you could make a case for Leira and Waukeen with a side of Lliira and Sune.

In darksun the elves are the gypsies and tend to stick to elemental cults.
>>
>(a) leather armor or (b) studded leather armor

y tho
>>
>>52165310
+2d6 to damage per attack
>>
>>52165370
mystic, autistic gimps
>>
>>52165046
You didn't list the action type for these. It helps to have that.
>>
>>52165370
Yeah that's really fucking stupid.

Also the only UA thing I'd want to see out of bard is inspirations treated like paladin smites.
>>
>>52165365
Oh, I didn't even know vistani was a thing. Thanks. Also I'm gonna go with Savras, seems perfect since they're the god of divination and fate and the character is a fortune teller
>>
>>52165409
The Vistani are very strongly specific to ravenloft although some aspects of them would ironically fit really well with Leira.
>>
>>52165319
Oh fuck you
>>
>>52165391
Huh, a bard focused on being a classic holy warrior from stories could be cool.
>>
>>52165431
?
what is this tardrage?
>>
>>52165365

Leira being a Lady of the Mists, Patron of Tricksters, and a goddess of illusion magic has a most powerful case, but they're more like Warlocks than clerics.

Ezmerelda made use of the Morning Lord for monster hunting, but that came mostly from inherited from her mentor

I know, I actually have van richguide to vistani somehwere, why don't I check
>>
>>52165437
I mean more like "blow spell slots for more inspirations", I don't think Bard should be a hardcore nova class, although they've got a lot of ability to control in general.
>>
Going to have a full goblin v hobgoblin war in my campaign soon, working off the mass combat rules. What are some fun units to use? Goblins have regular gobbos, Some stronger goblins, goblin wild sorcs (mage stats with a wild magic after every cast) and warg riders, the hobgoblins have all varieties of hobgoblins + bugbears.
>>
>>52165461
Oh yeah I get you. More focused on doing Bardic Inspiration then fighting or using magic. That's a pretty sweet idea but they'd need a fair few options to use inspiration on.
>>
Where's the actual link to Food and Provisions? The side doesn't have it and OP links to UA: Mystic.
>>
>Immortal Durability is Dex + Con AC instead of Dex + Int AC
>>
>>52165449
This shit is worse than lore master wizard
>>
>Wu Jen Mystic is everything Monk should be

Ouch
>>
>>52165349
I'd guess it means the jump is part of your movement like normal, and only the distance you can jump changes.
>>
Assume 20th level Mystic.

Arm the Mystic with a lance. A lance is technically a one-handed weapon, it simply requires two hands to wield when on foot.
>1d12 damage
Use Lethal Strike, from the Psionic Weapon Discipline as a bonus action. Spend seven points. The next time you hit with it before the end of your turn, you deal 7d10 psychic damage.
>1d12+7d10 damage
Use Animate Weapon, from the Mastery of Wood and Earth Discipline, as your action. This makes a melee weapon attack so Lethal Strike technically triggers when you successfully hit a target with it. Spend seven psi. You get 7d10 force damage on a successful hit, plus a damage modifier equal to your intelligence modifier plus your proficiency bonus. All of this is done at a range of 30 feet.
>1d12+14d10+Int Modfier+Prof Bonus damage
Once the hit successfully lands, this counts as a successful melee attack, due to Animate Weapon counting as a melee attack. You can activate Knock Back from the Brute Force discipline as a reaction. Spend 7 psi. If the target fails their Strength save, they are knocked 70 feet away from you in a straight line. If they hit an object, their movement immediately ends and they take 7d6 bludgeoning damage.
>1d12+14d10+7d6+Int Modfier+Prof Bonus damage
And finally, because this counts as a weapon attack, you get the +2d8 damage from Potent Psionics.
>1d12+14d10+2d8+7d6+Int Modfier+Prof Bonus damage
Assume Intelligence modifier of +5 and the Proficiency Bonus of +6 for the purpose of this experiment. It is a 20th level character, after all.
>1d12+14d10+2d8+7d6+11 damage

Honestly, it's not super impressive.
>>
>>52165492
Anon...
>>
>>52165454

Found it

The Spiteful Gods
The Manusa tasque, including the Canjar
and Zarovan tribes, are easily the most
willful of the Vistani. Although Manusa
lore also bemoans the Vistani fate to
wander the world, it embraces that fate
with a great deal more enthusiasm than
do stories told by other tasques. An
unquenchable courage pervades Manusa
legends, and a tenacity which would defy
the powers that rule the universe

“The War for All Time” pits the Vistani not against the rest of the world,
but against all beings in the universe, be
they mortal or divine. Having learned
secrets that cannot be unlearned, the
Vistani find themselves exiles in every
world. Ultimately they emerge
victorious, though, for they have
learned to relish the new life thrust upon
them, and they retain those powers that
elevate them above other mortals"

blah blah blah, something something, These Vistani call themselves the Children of Manusa.
>>
>>52165514
>tfw no mundane gearporn UA
>>
>>52165525

A "tasque" is basically a Vistani nation.

There's a whole bunch of them, with presumably Zarovians being the ones in Curse of Strahd
>>
>>52165222
This solves almost all the problems DESU. The Mystic's ability to turn Actions, bonus actions, and reactions into fuckloads of damage is nuts.

I don't think they have anything which is anywhere near as broken in terms of utility, but I haven't exhaustively thought through those 28 pages of the damned.
>>
>>52165454
>Morning Lord
I completely forgot there was a genuine cult of Lathander besides the Ezran church already providing half the christianity in the setting (with weirdly non-evil Banites and weirdly monotheistic Belenos temples doing the rest)
>>
>>52165499
You are overreacting
>>
>>52165514
>>52165530

Man and you had me all excited

It would've been perfect for my upcoming campaign where I took the /tg/ idea of having a campaign set in a remote watchtower near a small village for comfy cozy and occasionally slice of life-ey RP mixed with dark intrigue.
>>
>>52165492

I'm sorry anon, but I'm pretty sure it was a ruse.
>>
>>52165554

Ezmerelda had Lathander, but Eva had Mother Night (presumably Leira or Shar)

God knows who the hell the guy in charge of the Amber Temple was, I'm thinking Vecna, and while Perkins assigned the holy symbol to lathander, it wouldn't shock me to learn of the Raven Queen being up to her tricks
>>
>>52165063
It dates back to the release of Volo's Guide, when kobolds became a playable race.
>>
If my group needs a healer/support, is avatar the way to go?
>>
>>52165567
Not really.
It has nothing to do with being able to burst out tons of raw damage as a nova. My concern is how versatile it is.
>>
>>52165255
Martials can already start with their martial weapons of their choice, and armour as good if not better than you can make.

At best we're looking at making a shortsword for the wizard to use as a back up weapon if he ever gets trapped in a situation where he needs to use one.
>>
>>52164469
Yeah, I'm still trying to find its strengh too.

So far, you can also get +7d6 from Brute Strike and 2d8 from Potent Psionics.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks that each discipline just has way too many fucking options?

Holy fuck.
>>
>>52165512
128 assuming it hits something when flying from your strike
Costs 28 points per try
You have 115 psy per day
>>
Gonna play a standard human champion next because of reasons.

What's the best way to go about this?
>>
>>52165654
It's an okay multi-use nova, I guess?

It's no Nuclear Druid but it could be worse.
>>
>>52165615
There's a number of known demons in the general vicinity of Barovia, although the thought of Vecna being trapped there actually makes me happy (I fucking loathed the story that led to his escape and generally fucking up both Ravenloft and Planescape for 3.5)
>>
>>52165665

>>52165665
> human champion .
>What's the best way to go about this?

Briefly
>>
What race are you guys making your mystics?
>>
>>52165512
That only uses 21 of your 71 psi points though, so you can do that three times. It averages 128 damage, and that'll add up really fast.

Not as apocalyptic as this thread is reacting though.
>>
>>52165665
Play a half orc battlemaster instead.
>>
>>52165690
Variant Human, of course
>>
>>52165665
Immortal Mystic :^)
>>
>>52165684
>>52165693
You guys are no fun.
>>
File: Haden Character Sheet.jpg (534KB, 1582x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Haden Character Sheet.jpg
534KB, 1582x2048px
Did I do it right?
>>
>>52165690
Firbolg, because firbolg is fun with everything
>>
Wu Jen Mystics are what Elemental Monks should be
>>
>>52165690
Fire Genasi Wu Jen, elements 4ever.
>>
>>52165673
Nuclear druid is also a multiclass abomination.

Someone make a nuclear mystic with the same freedoms.
>>
>>52165690
Eladrin
>>
>>52164928
It does look fun, and it forces you to really precise with your movement as well which is interesting.

>>52164942
>I will quote you:
Can't blame you there!

>>52165046
A lot of these really seem like a lot of fun.

>>52165209
How are they traps? I feel like they add really useful versatility to damage options.

>>52165002
The Immortal disciplines immediately reminded me of Ant-Man.

>>52165028
Wu Jen is awesome but I feel the same way about them.
>>
>>52165512
The lance is a bit of needless optimization which most DMs will have a problem with. You can substitute it for any ordinary one-handed weapon and reduce your average damage by like, 2.

I'm also pretty sure you can use your soul knife for this, provided you're a Soul Knife.

But the rest of it is sound, it's 3 uses of 120~ damage on average every long rest, provided you land the hits.
>>
File: simza character sheet.jpg (109KB, 510x520px) Image search: [Google]
simza character sheet.jpg
109KB, 510x520px
Someone help me come up with an appropriate bond for an orphaned gypsy fortune teller. Kinda tough when she's supposed to be an out-for-herself type
>>
>>52165240
Every time we're in a dungeon.

The last thing we did in SKT was the Eye of the All-Father. We had:
>fight in the main hallway with a bunch of Uthgardt and a baby dragon
>fight in a dining hall with TWO remorhazes and a baby or some shit
>buncha spiderlings and a queen spider in some cramped ice caves
>Rogue blew up because I told him to touch a rune on the door
>Iymrith showed up and nearly obliterated us all
>escaped through various means
>half the party ran out through some cracks in the dining hall and had to run from another remorhaz outside
>rest of the party had to deal with some dragoncultists who accompanied Imryth attacking the airship we used to get there
Wizard and Cleric were completely out of spells, I was completely out of ki, Rogue and I both had like five HP, and Warlock is a Bladelock who only survived by virtue of his Patron choosing that time to dump some goodies on him in a deus ex machina.

Everyone nearly died again onboard the airship when the Wizard fired our grappling ballista at a golem and knocked it over the edge. Acted like a giant anchor because he didn't cut the rope and nearly capsized us.
>>
>>52165708
>>52165665
Champion is unfortunately in poor company with the 4e monk and PHB beastmaster as just being the worst of the available options. That said, Fighter is a solid base, so you'll be useful, just not as useful as a BM.

Champion's best feature is the second fighting style, so think about those options.

I find it funny that no one has made a "fix" for champion like the many 4e Monk and rangers though.
>>
>>52165718
>17 Wis
Y tho?
>>
>Darkness (1–7 psi). As an action, you create
an area of magical darkness, which foils
darkvision. Choose a spot you can see within 60
feet of you. Magical darkness radiates from that
point in a sphere with a 10-foot radius per psi
point spent on this ability. The light produced by
spells of 2nd level or less is suppressed in this
area.

There is no duration for this magical darkness that you create. Therefore, it's safe to assume that magical darkness created with this ability is permanent.
>>
>>52165783
Bonds can be selfish. Perhaps she has a favorite necklace that she says reminds her of her family, but really she just thinks it goes well with her eyes.
>>
I didn't look at the table until after i read everything else. The disciplines seemed a bit much, but i figured, hey they probably are pretty limited, especially for soul knife.

The actual archetypes were neat as fuck, but then, jesus fucking christ, 8 god damned disciplines? I was thinking maybe one per tier, but WHY? I was actually trying to decide what to pick and choose, now i can just lol i get everything.

I'm totally being a damned jedi though, Master of Force, Psychic Assault and Telepathic Contact awakened mind for my level 1.
>>
File: dog.jpg (23KB, 480x450px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
23KB, 480x450px
>>52163931
Hi, new to tabletop roleplaying here, does anyone know where to find quality adventure modules?
There seems to be a serious drought of official Wizards-released content, and the DM's Guild seems so sketchy in regards to actually finding and paying for something you know will be quality.
>>
>Wu Jen
>I can finally play Magestorm: the Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzojwMTqkuk
>>
>>52165826
I would assume it just follows the same rules as the Darkness spell, seeing as it's called "Magical Darkness."
>>
>>52165826
Technically it only says dark vision is foiled within it, it doesn't say it suppresses natural light whatsoever, or how "dark it is", so it may well just create some shade.
>>
File: Flash Sweat.png (80KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Flash Sweat.png
80KB, 225x225px
>>52165850
>those eyes
>>
>>52165850
Wizards has several book length adventures.
>>
>>52165834
>ha ha every game hits level 18
Don't be a fucking retard. The most disciplines anyone's likely to see in the vast and overwhelming majority of games is seven (two from the start and five chosen disciplines at level 9), and even that's going to be nearing the end of the campaign.

The game is more journey than destination.
>>
Thinking of playing a Goblin Ranger and making him bounty hunter of monstrous humanoids. Planned on having a moderately high Intelligence on him but that seems to conflict with the lore of Goblins in Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>52165893
>Not running the same group through differing campaigns year after year

It's like you aren't living the dream, anon.
>>
>>52165512
The best part of this is that it becomes fully functional by 10th level.

By that point, you have 64 psi points and a psi limit of 7. The only negative is that your Proficiency Bonus isn't as high, nor is your Potent Psionics bonus damage.

Being capable of nova of over a hundred damage by level 10 is pretty fucking impressive.
>>
>>52165814
Another ASI/feat?
Yet another fighting style?
Make remarkable athlete better?

How much more damage the battlemaster can do really seems like a problem, you'd think champion would do better consistent damage.
>>
File: k5UKys6.png (353KB, 720x881px) Image search: [Google]
k5UKys6.png
353KB, 720x881px
The real question is, can you build a better martial Mystic than Soulknife with another order? Obviously the utility boons are spoken for, but did they fuck up on the order of "Shillelagh SCAG Cantrip Tomelock >>> Bladelock" again?
>>
>>52163931
>New Unearthed Arcana: Food and provisions

I'm confused

Also, I'd actually be more interested in that than this disaster they just gave us
>>
>>52165955
I was kinda hoping the troll in the last thread with Expanded Crafting wasn't a troll.
>>
>>52165349
>>52165227
That's just telling you that it doesn't take an action, like using up your bonus action or reaction. It should probably be stated more clearly, though. The intention, I'm pretty sure, is that it doesn't cost movement, it just has to be done while you're moving.
>>
File: 1381364733590.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1381364733590.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
every time a new unearthed arcana comes out you fucking spergs pick at it like crabs cleaning a whale's corpse at the bottom of the ocean looking for "muh buildssssssssss" and complaining about stupid fucking numbers

how about you actually play the fucking game and enjoy it for the cooperative, story-based elements that it it MEANT FOR instead of just autistically planning out masturbatory 20 level builds for a character you'll never make in a game you'll never play
>>
>>52165955
I honestly just care about mystic because it puts them one step closer to publishing the 5e darksun supplement.
>>
>>52165955
>be more interested in that than this disaster
This is the best UA they gave us in months, what are you talking about?
>>
>>52165996
>autistically planning out masturbatory 20 level builds for a character you'll never make in a game you'll never play
People do this even without UA. See: everyone who thinks Fighters get three attacks.
>>
>>52166014
>He has never experienced the second half of the game.
I am so sorry.
>>
>>52165996
I just feel it's too versatile, and will say such in the next survey. I won't get to see how it handles for a few weeks outside of theory crafting though, so walking it through it now, and with others, is a boon.
>>
>>52165996
Because the UA is a playtest that asks for feedback, and while any class can be fun in a good game with friends and a DM who can work with everything, actual numbers are needed for hard feedback regarding bringing the playtest material in line with what exists
>>
>>52166006
It's an over-versatile class that excel in areas that other, pre-existing classes should be good at.
>>
>>52166014
>See: everyone who thinks Fighters get three attacks.
Fighters get their third attack at 11, which is close to but not where most campaigns start petering out. Their fourth attack definitely never comes online.
>>
File: 1225933786942.jpg (44KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1225933786942.jpg
44KB, 375x500px
As a diehard Psionics fan since 2e, the Mystic petrifies my phallus.

Now I just need to convince my DM to allow me to retcon my Sun Soul Monk into an Immortal Mystic
>>
Also I frankly hate that martials usually get level 11 abilities when most casters get that equivalent ability at 10.
>>
>>52166072
You'll get worse though
>>
>>52166072
I know, right? I'm already trying to get my DM to go along with my plan to turn my Assassin Rogue into a Soul Knife Mystic, but he's bitching about the flavor of it for some daft reason.
>>
>>52166045
If they really saw it like that, why do they have to structure it like this? Because its written as a class overview, I'm compelled to compare it to other classes. Now if it was just a bunch of suggestions on its own, I'd be more accepting.

Not only that, but in order to give accurate feedback, I would have to carefully examine the entire fucking PDF and find parts I disagree with and agree with. Hard to do with something as versatile as this. I could read it 20 times and not notice something like "If you take this ability and this other ability, anything you imagine dies instantly".

And besides, psychic damage should really remain as something foreign and beyond explanation. Like the Mind Flayers.
>>
>>52165690
Dwarf trying to find a big vein of Gold with half future predicting
>>
>>52166127
isn't that more of a diviner thing?
>>
Is the Skulker feat worth it on a Wood Elf Thief to cancel out my disadvantage in complete darkness?
>>
>>52166146
Why play a Diviner when you can play an Awakened Mystic?

Unless you're going for Lucky Halfling memes, which is literally the only reason.
>>
>>52166124
It's playtest material, it HAS to be written so that it can be played, and tested, with other classes, and not only in a vacuum.
>>
As someone who has played two of the Take 10 Mystics, let me give you my hot take:

It wasn't as absurd as everyone made it out to be, and I pushed that shit to the max. I abused Mind Vault, I made huge reaches with Occluded Mind, I nova'd shit with Lethal Strike, and still the party felt underwhelmed.

I never had enough disciplines to do all the cool shit I needed. The more useful abilities were out of reach until higher levels. I got items that emulated normal spells but required PP, as a way of shoring up the huge gaps in capabilities of the class. PP was scarce, and this was with refluffed pearls of power that restored them. I didn't have enough juice to use something other than a talent even once every three rounds.

One DM was very hesitant about letting me play a Mystic to begin with. A player at the table insisted they were broken at a glance and the numbers were just too high. By the end of the campaigns, they both realized that was bullshit.

Try playing a class instead of theorycrafting in a vacuum.
>>
>>52165718
> Roll stats
No
>>
>>52166162
Probably because an awakened mystic has nothing to do with future prediction?
>>
>>52166162
Mystic can't force people to fail saving throw.
>>
>>52166166
At least annotations then or something. So we know what the devs were thinking when they add things that are explicitly OP.
>>
>>52166146
>being some shitty wizard like everyone else on the planet when you could have reality-destroying mental powers
Dwarves aren't retarded, they know the good shit when they see it.
>>
>>52166124
You aught to compare it to other classes, because that's the only metric it exists to compare against. A list of suggestions is something the devs use to create the work-in-progress. That's the easy part. Actually implementing it into features that work in the game is tricky, and after that stage is where they need help balancing.
Yes, if you want to participate in the public playtest, you've got to examine the material. It's significantly more difficult with one this large and wide spanning, but luckily they have thousands of people on the internet with little better to do to help catch these things.
Why should psychic damage be arbitrarily out of player hands? Especially when plenty of spells deal it? Bards can do it as a cantrip.
>>
>>52166183
It is a better class though.
>>
>>52166183
It can, if it takes the Precognition discipline.
>>
File: 1471211440864.png (2MB, 905x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1471211440864.png
2MB, 905x1280px
What spells for a Wu Jen, though?
>>
>>52166172
>I cant have fun unless everyone is equally powered
>the only advantages anyone can have is from obsessive min/maxing
>the way you have fun is wrong
>>
Alright lads, I want to prep a one-shot for my group to play when somebody doesn't have time to show up for our main campaign.

Give me some suggestions on settings, plot hooks and general adventures. Don't need to be super serious and can be pretty ridiculous and open for comedic roleplaying by the players since the group loves that stuff.

Had a Zendikar exploration one, a Warhammer Fantasy dungeon delve and a crazy magic manor mysteries adventure in recent memory, with the last one definitely getting the best reception so far probably because the no-fun sperg in our group wasn't present.

TL;DR need to come up with a one-shot, give me some fun ideas /5eg/
>>
>>52166234
Max/maxing isn't better than min/maxing.
>>
>>52166224
The usuals.
>>
>Get profiency in martial weapons
>When you're going to use your soul knives 24/7
For what purpose?
>>
>>52166224
Tiny Hut.
>>
I don't think the Mystic is overpowered at all. It's very versatile and has a lot of options, but it's no more powerful than the Cleric or Wizard with it's magic, and no more powerful than any Martial class. I suppose you can Nova for a lot of damage potentially, but blowing all your points on high damage still deals less than, say, a Cleric using Inflict Wounds with all their slots (over a longer period of time, of course).
>>
>>52166267
>>52166255
Tiny Hut for yourself
Haste for the immortal mystic ;)
and, of course, find familiar
>>
>>52166246
A party of level 20 characters enters a dungeon, only for it to animate around them. The dungeon is a Colossal Dungeon Golem which tries to attack the party while they are inside it. Their goal is to escape the Dungeon Golem, fighting through the constantly-shifting golem and its inhabitants while the golem tries to destroy the party from the outside in.
>>
>>52166224
Misty Step.
Haste.
Absorb Elements.
>>
>>52163931
1st for bugbear primevil ranger/immortal mystic for 45 foot attacks
>>
>>52166196
I hear you with the psychic damage bit, but the ones we do have are done right.

First, the damage output is rather weak for their levels. Helps balance how nearly everything is neutral to psychic

Second, the themes to them tend to be either annoying sounds, nightmares or severing the bond of mind, body and soul. Mystics just think REALLY hard and they hurt your brain as a result. Its Generation 1 all over again.
>>
>>52166296
That actually sounds pretty fucking cool. Did you steal that from somewhere?
Just need to make sure they are ok with level 20 chars in any case, though.
>>
>>52166047
What the fuck are you talking about the order you dictates what you do. If any class needs a nerf it's the wizard or bard.
>>
>>52166259
Ranged weapons, and in case you find a better magical option or two.
>>
>>52166234
You can certainly have fun when everyone's stats aren't equal, but it's certainly not like it's any more fun that way.
>>
>>52166259
>>52166357
And against enemies that resist or are immune to psychic damage
>>
>>52166329
I didn't steal it, it's an idea I've always wanted to run but never have
>>
>>52166357
>Better magical option than two +4 weapons
>Ranged weapon when you have ranged talents or still access to short bow
>>
>>52166390
>heavy crossbow isn't better than short bow
>running out of PP is a complete impossibility

It's there to be an option, its not demanding you use it constantly.
>>
Does the mystic seem like more fun than the wizard?
>>
>>52166451
New thread.
>>
Enough about Mystics.

Looking for spellspread opinion on my fire drac sorcerer. Assume level 20. Remember we get access to fire resistance, flight and a mixed fear/charm "spell"

Cantrips:
Fire Bolt
Shocking Grasp
Mage Hand
Mending
Light
????

1st level:
Shield

2nd:
Misty Step
Mirror Image

3rd:
Counterspell
Haste
Fireball

4th:
Confusion
Polymorph
Waterysphere

5th:
Hold Monster

6th:
Sunbeam

7th:
Reverse Gravity
Teleport
Plane Shift

8th:

9th:
Wish
>>
File: AAAAAAAUAUUWOWUUUUUUUUUUUUUAA.jpg (37KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAUAUUWOWUUUUUUUUUUUUUAA.jpg
37KB, 700x700px
>>52166491
>e-enough about Mystics.
>w-what about muh sorcerers
Hahaha nice FAG class, scalieboi.
>>
File: question mark.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
so is mystic the ultimate dip class now?
>>
>>52166570
>multiclassing
>UA
you motherfucker
>>
>>52166595
>not wanting to break all the everything
C'mon, it's like you don't want to piss the GM off?
>>
>>52166491
people actually play Sorcerer?
>>
>>52165665
Shieldmaster feat, Shove as a bonus action before you attack, knock them prone and have advantage for 2 chances to crit for free.

Wield a Shield and Spear/Javalin/Trident and go full Sparta, but works better if you go Half-Orc and pick up Shieldmaster at 4th for the free shoves.
>>
>>52164276
>yes it's going to shit all over most of the Monk builds because it has way way more options than they do.

EVERYTHING shits all over the monk
>>
>>52166956
why?
>>
>>52165955
>>52165972
Well now that they've got Mystic out for everyone, maybe we have hope for getting crafting stuff.
>>
How do I Avatar Mystic? I think it'd be good as a 5th party member, handing out THP and buffs to everyone.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but does the ability that increases HP restored by your Int bonus also apply to THP?
>>
>>52167148
>I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but does the ability that increases HP restored by your Int bonus also apply to THP?
No.
>>
>>52165946
Maybe another ASI, though personally I'd go for an additional benefit to Remarkable Athlete, like being able to make a shove action for free once per attack action, or something.

Personally, I feel the free damage Battlemasters get is unnecessary for the battlefield control martial niche they're supposed to be filling.
>>
I've been really looking at rangers lately. Does anyone here have positive experiences playing them? Have any of you actually played as a primeval or beast ranger for an extended period of time and enjoyed it?

I was thinking of playing a size small character with a beast mount until I saw the PG archetype; when I saw that I was wondering if it's possible to carry around a size Large weapon to use when in tree-mode, but I'm not sure entirely how that would work from a mechanics perspective. Especially like a size Large bow or ballista sort of thing; unusable really in normal size, but could shift and start dropping artillery level damage all over the place, and create difficult terrain all around me to slow down the enemy.
>>
File: 1472838914448.gif (3MB, 573x523px) Image search: [Google]
1472838914448.gif
3MB, 573x523px
>• (a) leather armor or (b) studded leather armor

Is this a mistake? The medium armor mystics get nothing, and studded leather is objectively superior to leather...
>>
>>52165665
That was also my reaction when trying to process mystic
>>
File: 1450818479587.jpg (43KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
1450818479587.jpg
43KB, 690x388px
>>52166491
>Sorcerer
>>
>>52167286
Probably an oversight, I'd replace the studded leather with scale mail, as I think that's standard for medium armor classes.
>>
>>52164567
See there is a problem with that. There's already a class for that. The Monk. This does Wuxia Nonsense better than the Wuxia Nonsense class.
>>
>>52164118
Pretty much this. Better skill monkey than rogue, better support than bard etc.
>>
What will you do when the wizard player who normally spends 20 minutes on his
turn suddenly decides mystics are the tightest shit?
>>
Alright gentlemen, from an objective viewpoint, what needs to be fixed to make the Mystic playable with other PHB classes?
>>
>>52167658
Maybe it shouldn't be a better elemental monk than the elemental monk, a better healer than the cleric etc
>>
>>52167872
So, get rid of Wu Jen and the Healing Discipline?
>>
>>52167930
Well, Wu Jen is awesome but maybe it should just be shifted to elemental monk.

I think the healing discipline is too much, ESPECIALLY as they have the "heal HP equal to psi points used" feature
>>
>>52167930
Just give them far less disciplines, or make the disciplines far less overloaded.

Maybe change Psi Limit so that it's max psipoints per round.

>>52167951
It's worse healing than a cleric, by quite a bit.
>>
>>52167872
>Maybe it shouldn't be a better elemental monk than the elemental monk

I think you're asking a bit too much here.
>>
>>52163734
Which page exactly?
>>
>>52167964
>It's worse healing than a cleric, by quite a bit.
Agreed.

The Mystic has a ton of versatility but I really don't think it's as overpowered as some people are saying
>>
Character idea:
Chain Pact Warlock, not sure of patron yet. His familiar is in fact his lover, who has been cursed and polymorphed into a beast. He made his pact to get the power to change her back. I know the timing of when these abilities come online, and the mechanics of them, don't exactly mesh. Work with me here. Would you allow it in your game?
>>
>>52165505
what's the point of that. there's no-one who can jump 120 feet normally.
>>
>>52168431
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Arseplomancer#5e_Unearthed_Arcana
>>
>>52168934
Fae Patron, she pissed one of them off and he poly'd her, but he could be one with dominion over beasts, which would mean that he could be given his lover as a familiar in a twist of irony by the fae, who obviously love that shit.
>>
>>52165826
>Duration. An effect option in a discipline specifies how long its effect lasts.
>Instantaneous. If no duration is specified, the effect of the option is instantaneous.
>>
>>52169638
Then either the darkness is permanent (3.x definition of instantaneous duration) or the discipline is useless (as all it does is dispell light spells).

I'm beginning to think that the mystic wasn't the UA planned for yesterday, and they released it in a hurry because people bitched. It seriously needs to be proofread.
>>
>>52163931
Terrible game.
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.