[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 48

Last thread:
>>51474097

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your favorite dead game anons? What needs to be brought back to life with a reprint or fresh expansions? How bout the game you pull out to bring in new gamers when your regular meetup is dead?
>>
File: ASH01_Box_3D_Comp_Front_Left[1].png (372KB, 500x563px) Image search: [Google]
ASH01_Box_3D_Comp_Front_Left[1].png
372KB, 500x563px
>>51510657
Dead as fuck but I still want more.
>>
Alright, /bgg/, now that a new thread is up, let me throw a curveball at you:

Does anyone know a board/war game where you play only as a (not necessarily US) Air Force Commander in charge of Air part of the Air/Land/Sea battle in a single Front/Area/Theatre of the war? (Tactical handling of the planes is bonus)

So, you assign missions (CAS, Interdiction, Recon) to support your Army/Navy buddies, try to stop the enemy from achieving it's own, and win only when/if your buddies do.
>>
>>51511016
There's always Hornet Leader and its derivatives, but those are solo, and don't have you supporting buddies playing the ground bit or another player managing the other side.

Something like what you describe would be pretty sweet though.
>>
>>51511016
So you're looking for a team wargame, but the teams need to be split by branch of military instead of theater or operation?
>>
File: CarthagePix.jpg (244KB, 825x730px) Image search: [Google]
CarthagePix.jpg
244KB, 825x730px
I got Carthage used from some guy, and now I'm kind of sad that it seems the Ancient World series died. It seems like a cool system. Still, I'll probably get a shitton of mileage out of Carthage alone
>>
What are some tense games? Only one I can think of is Twilight Struggle.
>>
>>51511474
Tug of War
>>
>>51511474
Depends on what you mean by tense. Timed games force tension by putting you up against a clock, games with 0 luck and very tight mechanics are tense by making you have to never fuck up. Games that take all your planning and then reduce it to a die roll are tense because fuck that d6 better show a 5 not a 2............... FUCK.
>>
File: pic1963882.jpg (257KB, 828x818px) Image search: [Google]
pic1963882.jpg
257KB, 828x818px
>>51510657
R.I.P Doomtown, you were too good for this cruel world.

(as a side note, anyone knows a any game that might be similar to what it was Doomtown? Conquest is out of question since is also dead as fuck thanks to GW)
>>
>>51511474
Netrunner, Rex/Dune, Captain Sonar, Fury of Dracula and related hidden movement games, Redacted, various social deduction games, Chaosmos, battlestar Galactica and its cousins. Anything with some kind of hidden information as a central mechanic is a good bet for tension.

Twilight Struggle is certainly one of the best though.
>>
How long before Asmodee goes full EA games and ruins everything we love?
>>
>>51511671
1 year ago.
>>
File: index.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
>>51510657
>tfw you will never get to play the second box of Necrons, Tau, Dark Eldar, and Imperial Guard.
Fuck Asmodee and their merger bullshit, and fuck GW for being their usual cunty selves..
>>
File: Tann.jpg (1MB, 2362x2362px) Image search: [Google]
Tann.jpg
1MB, 2362x2362px
>>51510657
>Favorite dead game.
Easy. The art and minis still hold up well, but the rules could use a fresh coat of paint, maybe a couple lessons learned from imperial assault and DOOM.
>>
Anyone played this? My buddy and I got into the show and this looks reasonably entertaining but part of me feels like it could just be boring
>>
File: Epic-icon-wild-lg.png (83KB, 277x277px) Image search: [Google]
Epic-icon-wild-lg.png
83KB, 277x277px
>>51508069
Couldn't get back to you before the thread died. Actually, I'm running an Epic community with strategic articles and analysis myself. It's far from dead and actually gaining steam. They just recently dropped a new set.

The problem is that players are getting restless, if not downright pissed. Several people recently quit because of:
-A "you win the game" card that is unbeatable on average. Most of the fanbase doubted this until it hit Worlds, which leads to...
-B Invited unqualified people to Worlds for guaranteed $500+ payday on the hopes those players would plug the game to their magic circles. Didn't seem to work very well (some were pros, all were incredibly arrogant and believed they would whoop veterans at the game. They placed terribly)
-C The playerbase is mostly magic grognards (which has the above problems) and casuals (think Tom Vasal types)
-D Complete mismanagement of PR by Nathan, one of the company's employees. He talks shit to customers and goads them in public on twitter and BGG forums.
-E Worlds had the new set drop on the SAME DAY and it was considered legal. This was an absolutely boneheaded move. Epic vets couldn't believe how stupid this was. MtG pros and semipros thought it would be good. It was a disaster.
-F Splintered community over the above A-E problems, as to whether or not they're even problems let alone dealbreakers. Some like me were pissed, some left for good, and some plugged their ears and went "la la la".

But despite the very recent mismanagement of the game and community quarreling, the game is still growing and looks to be promising in the future. Nathan ate his words during Worlds about the broken deck and said they might have to do something about it, though he tried some serious mental gymnastics first. The community is slowly piecing a consensus together, whether that turns out to be right or wrong is anyone's guess. And they succeeded a promotion by encourage you to turn in banned MtG cards for an Epic starter
>>
>>51512763
ok I'm curious. try to sell me Epic. also how frecuently does this thing receives expansions?
>>
>>51512662
Nope, it's great. Better than the show.
>>
File: Epic-icon-evil-lg.png (62KB, 277x277px) Image search: [Google]
Epic-icon-evil-lg.png
62KB, 277x277px
>>51513095
Base set: Sep 2015 (KS)
Tyrants: March 2016
Uprising: Nov 2016
Digital ver: ETA Sep 2017 (KS)

The release schedule for the first expansion took 6 months, then the next took 5 months. The digital will be out roughly 10 months from that with no known set releases in the meantime.

6 months appears to be their goal, though they've been busier than usual because of Hero Realms (Star Realms is already a part of the natural workflow).

>There are no random packs
>1 of each card per set
>Max 3 copies for constructed
>No "trash" or filler cards
>Streamlines slow or clunky parts of traditional card games
>Base set alone is still competitive
>>
>>51513440
how this compares to Magic as the creators shamelesly say things like "Send us your copies of Spy thopter and get a base set of EPIC!"
>>
File: Epic-icon-sage-lg.png (86KB, 277x277px) Image search: [Google]
Epic-icon-sage-lg.png
86KB, 277x277px
>>51513507
Bizarrely, the game is almost nothing like magic despite what laypersons say. It's just that Rob and Darwin (the creators) are MTG hall of famers so they filter everything through that lens. Sure, the games share some similar mechanics but reminder that magic came out first and therefore set the standard for the genre. It's no surprise that deviating too far would make the games feel alien, such as Cardfight Vanguard.
>>
>>51513562
How so the game is "Bizarre"? I mean I know that you can use 0-cost units and then 1-cost units but where that gold comes from? can you make more of them or you're given one single coin each turn to spend it wisely kind of deal?
>>
>>51513562
>>51513440
>>51512763
Really looking forward to your articles on uprising, even though I'm still just playing singletons draft.
>>
File: Epic-icon-good-lg.png (89KB, 277x277px) Image search: [Google]
Epic-icon-good-lg.png
89KB, 277x277px
>>51513635
Each player gains 1 gold on each player's turn and loses it at the end phase. It makes for some tense play where players attempt to play second, as it's reactionary, by doing as many non-gold actions as possible before that. But some times first priority is better. There's no chain or stack, so you have to just deal with resolutions. It significantly increases the tactical space.
>>
>>51513746
Oh I see. you have to deal with whatever get's thrown at you. you said you have a Review site or something? i would like to pay it a view.
>>
File: VMundi-Logo.png (85KB, 576x211px) Image search: [Google]
VMundi-Logo.png
85KB, 576x211px
>>51513786
v-mundi.com

I've been moving and insanely busy for months so no update. Currently writing a general gaming article.
>>
>>51513815
thanks. I've been thinking into get that base box but well, I haven't heard much of it and also White Wizard seems to be busy with their "Realms" games, good thing they keep giving support to Epic anyways.
>>
What do you people have against TCGs? or better said blind booster selling games?
>>
>>51514075
They deliberately sacrifice balance to fuel rarity and dick you in the ass by making you blind buy until you get what you want or overpay for singles.
The only possible upside is that they make it harder for every one to have access to the same pool of cards or whatever, but that only matters if you're obsessed with being a special snowflake.

There's no good reason for a game to have a blind or random buy component. It universally detracts from the quality of the game.
>>
>>51511474
1960: The Making of the President
>>
>>51514128
Oh... I wanted to know what you people thought about dice masters but I guess then no. the game, not the distribution model.
>>
>>51515561
In dice masters defense, it's quite well liked by most people in spite of being booster-driven.
>>
>>51515865
I was into it until a friend told me (this is around the first set) that there was an ultra-rare that every deck needs, fuck that.
>>
>>51515561
blind buy pretty much kills any game, apart from a few old CCG's that hang on by being the biggest (MtG) or having recognisable IP's (Pokemon, Yugioh, etc).

Anything else tends to die a slow, agonising death regardless of the quality of the game. Which is basically what I'm hoping will happen to that new Star Wars card/dice game Asmodee made FFG put out, teach those greedy cunts a lesson.
>>
>>51516129
Destiny also has the bigger problem of finding the dice to go with the rare heroes, as opposed to Dice Masters which gives you all the dice needed for each character in the starter packs.
>>
>>51516129
POKemon and YGO also have the bemefit of being old and established
I don't think any game has succeeded which has come out post-yugioh except that Spanish one
>>
File: 1481403181588.jpg (433KB, 2395x1787px) Image search: [Google]
1481403181588.jpg
433KB, 2395x1787px
Opinions on Onitama?
>>
>>51516529
I think it's great. It's quick, simple, and I love how each game you have ways each piece can move. That means that whatever strategy worked last game probably won't work this time because it's highly unlikely that you'll have different movement cards*.

I also like how they have two win conditions: capture the master or get your master to their "home space". That makes it to where you avoid ending an intense game with a lack luster and anti-climatic stalemate. This way someone is going to win.

The box is shaped differently but I love the contents. They really dove into the them but the pieces are sturdy, well built, and look great. The rules are simple and concise. My favorite part is the board though. I assumed it was going to be some paper or plastic board you roll up so I was blown away when I found out it's made out of the same material as mousepads. The artwork on the board is phenomenal, I love how robust the board is, and to me picking up the pieces and laying them down just feels good. I think it's a really great abstract game and I don't regret buying it.

*For you math nerds, there's 16 movement cards and you use 5 per game and so there are 4368 different card combinations you can have
**Is that Kristen Stewart on the left?
In other news: Tabletop is back on youtube; who else is excited that the king of the online nerds is again playing games incorrectly for us all to enjoy (read this in the most sarcastic voice you can)
>>
>>51516956
thanks
yes
>>
>>51516956
Didn't he migrate to youtube red so he could flounder in ignominity?
>>
>>51517026
You got it buddy

>>51517107
Geek and Sundry and Nerdist decided to create their own streaming platform called Alpha where they could take their popular shows and make them available only for those willing to shill out a monthly fee. Pretty sure it was in response to youtube red but I could be wrong. I'm ashamed I know this
>>
File: RIP Carcassonne.jpg (171KB, 680x440px) Image search: [Google]
RIP Carcassonne.jpg
171KB, 680x440px
Carcassonne is dead and pic related is the killer.

This death is inevitable.
>>
>>51516529
Good game. Overpriced and comes in a horrible box though
>>
Has anyone played this? It's only $5 on miniature market and I'm thinking about snagging it just because it's so cheap
>>
File: jab.jpg (2MB, 1264x1886px) Image search: [Google]
jab.jpg
2MB, 1264x1886px
>>51517283
Forgot the pic cause I'm a dunce
>>
>>51517199
But carcassonne is a light entry weight game used to introduce people to the hobby. Its simplicity and iconic aesthetic are already sufficiently self serving. Whatever this thing is that you posted looks like another generic fantasy project that will scare normies away.
>>
55 for mage knight core on amazon
i really wish i could buy this and play but sadly the heaviest thing my friends will play is small world :(
>>
>>51517297
TMG doesn't put out unplayable shit, so there's that.
>>
>>51517516
Mage Knight is best at 1-2 anyway, get that shit.
>>
>>51517516
I bought it and I don't have anyone to play it with. Get it while you can
>>
>>51511958
>not playing with the amazing fan expansions of tau, tyranids, necrons and imperial guard.
>>
>>51513746
wait i thought you get 1 gold at the beginning of your turn and need to play with that until its your turn again.

or is that only with more then 2 ?
>>
File: IMG_1005.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1005.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51517199
i fucking love carcassonne, sell me on this.
>>
The day has come /bgg/. I can't fit Eldritch in one box anymore. The reckoning finally comes.

How the fuck do I organize this. It's like no store sells wooden boxes anymore.
>>
>>51517199
Is Carcassonne the new thing to kill just like all those deckbuilders that tried to dethrone Dominion?
>>
>>51517280
What's horrible about the box? It's not like a tin or weirdly sized. Fits on a shelf fine on the shelf of smaller boxes for me.
>>
File: 35453.jpg (75KB, 458x300px) Image search: [Google]
35453.jpg
75KB, 458x300px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/alien-frontiers-relaunch

Just a couple hours left to back Alien Frontiers and I don't know whether to back this or just buy Marco Polo. Both look great and I can't decide and time is running out. Which one do you recommend?
>>
Is this any good or just another memegame like exploding cats?
>>
>>51520718
I liked it because it was entertaining. It's not some super high quality, deep, and heavily replayable game if that's what you're looking for. It was just quick, easy, and fun. Especially if you're into the theme.
>>
>>51520111
Get Marco Polo. Far better designed with overall better mechanics. It completely replaced AF for us.
>>
>>51520111
>>51520832

I already own Marco Polo and love it but I've always also been interested in Alien Frontiers. Are they different enough that it's justified to own both?
>>
File: steampunk rally.jpg (21KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
steampunk rally.jpg
21KB, 246x246px
Opinions on this? Looks pretty fun. Would you recommend it?
>>
>>51511016
This is campaign for north africa. have fun ever playing that, takes about 1200 hours according to the rulebook (no lie)
>>
>>51520997
Played it once, liked it quite a bit. Nice blend of drafting, engine building and dice chucker.
>>
Someone post the girlfriend games picture.
I want to buy my girl a game, preferable one that works well both as a 2 player and multi since we often play with a group.

I thought of Takenoko since we already tried it out once and she liked it, and she loves Pandas.

Also considered 7 Wonders Duel, but neither of us every played the normal 7 Wonders or anything resembling so I don't want to just buy it.
>>
>>51521813
The Voyages of Marco Polo is what made my girlfriend fall in love with board games.
It's for 2-4 players and works great with any player count.
>>
>>51511016
Souds like you want a more serious version of the XCOM boardgame.
>>
File: the_wife_s_recs_fixed.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the_wife_s_recs_fixed.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>51521813
>>
>>51521894
>2-4 players
>any player count

Any player count? You just said it's only 2-4. What is it 2-4 or any? Any player count would include 1 and 5+.
>>
File: IMG_5417.png (2MB, 1625x1012px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5417.png
2MB, 1625x1012px
>>51521813
It might be an old copy but here's the one I have saved. It's not on there but I'd also recommend Onitama as another good abstract game
>>
>>51516074
sorry for not to answer before, I went to sleep.
the first set. so AVX? well as I recall now, yeah there's some SRs that are needed for some decks but most of the time also SRs are kind of crappy so the best bet are around the rest of the rarities.
>>
>>51521894
Thanks senpai, I'll check it.
>>51521938
>>51521988
Thanks.
She really really really loves Splendor, and I really think Takenoko is a good pick since she loves Pandas and she liked the gameplay itself (gotta admit I like it as well, pretty smart).
>>
>>51521951
He means that it works well at 2, 3, or 4. Games often include higher or lower player counts they weren't built for just to advertise it on the box.
>>
>>51520111
i would buy marco polo if it didnt cost 50 over msrp currently
>>
File: onitamaDIYfr.png (156KB, 806x492px) Image search: [Google]
onitamaDIYfr.png
156KB, 806x492px
>>51516529
Never played it but it looks so fucking good that I'm currently creating my own.
Still haven't decided what the back of the cards will end up being.
>>
>>51522012
There was apparently a very expensive Black Wisow that every deck needed
>>
>>51522398
Can you share it once you are done?
>>
>>51522602
Black Widow is now banned or better said, rotated out.
all from AVX, X-men Uncanny and I think YGO has rotated just this year.
>>
>>51522602
>>51522808
also isn't like there's worse things to deal right now in the meta. Aka Elf Bard, a fucking basic card from the 2nd D&D set now (or used) to dominate the meta.
>>
Hello guys. I'm looking for a tabletop similar to Zombicide that I can play with my friends. It should revolve around miniatures, fighting enemies as a group with a level up system
>>
>>51522971
Descent 2.0 or Imperial Assault if you want a player to run the enemies.
Shadows of Brimstone if you don't.
>>
>>51522992
>if you want a player to run the enemies
forgot to mention that. i'd like to avoid that

thanks i'll look into shadows
>>
>>51523049
Descent also has a Fanmade bot someone linked a couple threads ago that can operate the enemies for you, so that one might not be out.
>>
>>51523049
>>51523082
Redjack Automated Overlord, you need to print out cards (can be found on bgg), and it plays the overlord for you.

But even before that, you have like 2 free campaigns on the App and if you are willing to spend a couple of $ you can also get another campaign and a random dungeon generator.
>>
>>51510657
Dead? Space Hulk Death Angel
Needs expansions? Libertalia
Ropes in newbies? Secret Hitler, for sure.
>>
>>51521938
>>51521988
>>51522119
I thought of 7 Wonders Duel since she love Splendor and the engine building is very similar,
I know its highly rated and what not, but I am not sure I will enjoy it, seeing as I find Splendor a bit dull.

Anyone has any experience to share with the game?
>>
Mice and Mystics any good?

Mansions of madness, eldritch horror, arkham horror or mice and Mystics for a co-op rpgish game. Which is best?
>>
>>51523437
Also throw in Descent and Imperial Assault for consideration
>>
File: pic2577990.jpg (545KB, 1575x1576px) Image search: [Google]
pic2577990.jpg
545KB, 1575x1576px
I want a quick and easy push-your-luck game to play with some of my more casual friends/my family. Should I get Incan Gold or Celestia? Is there a better third option?
>>
>>51523593

Hoppladi Hopplada!

if you can find it. its an amazing push your luck game.
>>
Anyone knows when will Mage Wars Academy will get its next expansion? The Priestess and The Warlock were launched around september of the past year i think?
>>
>>51523593
If you can get the Iello version of Diamant it's prolly a hair better of a game, but if I had to choose between the new edition of Celestia/Cloud 9 or the EGG version of Incan Gold/Diamant I'd go Celestia every time.
>>
>>51521988
>>51521938
It looks like I'll have time to work on this tomorrow, going to go through the archive of the last thread for what people wanted changed, but just a general question to /bgg/ should I pull the "heavier" section and make that a secondary chart along with pulling some of the weightier games in each category?
>>
>>51524407
I don't know about pulling them but I actually had no idea that the games listed were from lightest to heaviest in each category until someone said that last thread. So it may help to say that for new people so the don't bust out Sherlock Holmes on their gf/bf when they should have played Hanabai instead
>>
File: kids v2.png (2MB, 1570x1534px) Image search: [Google]
kids v2.png
2MB, 1570x1534px
>>51524675
Yeah I did mention it when I first posted it last year but prolly should've made a notation in the chart itself. Up until the last month or so I don't remember seeing many complaints about stuff like FoD and Ghost Stories, but it's got me thinking about changing it up. Did the same thing with the kids chart, BGG suggested age increases as you go left to right.
>>
>>51520718
It's not bad, but it's not very good either. I played it a few times and forgot I even owned it.
>>
>>51524728
I know they're on the kids list and you can't have too much overlap but I really enjoy playing Blokus and Tsuro. Yes they're pretty casual but my casual family loves playing it. Besides, Tsuro is fucking gorgeous holy shit
>>
>>51525139
I don't get why people hate on tsuro. it looks great and its a fun, mindless thing to do while you're sitting around chilling or watching tv or something.
>>
>>51525167
>mindless
You figured it out.
But I don't think anyone hates it, they're just underwhelmed by it.
>>
>>51525139
Yeah I might be changing that up for a little more overlap in the next version. Tsuro was one of the first games I got when coming back into gaming 6 years back, and there's not many other games that do what it does by scaling so well; and being that perfect 5 min break where you don't even have to really pay attention to the other players' turns to enjoy it.

>>51525223
Pretty much nailed it, important to remember people discussing board games online, especially here, are going to be obsessive and have polar opinions on everything.
>>
>>51523437
M&M is great but very lightweight, not much challenge, still fun to play every scenario though.

MoM is good fun but requires 3 players last I remember and isn't fully cooperative. The only real differences between Eldritch and Arkham is the complexity of the games and total play time - the latter requires a huge table, has a pretty chunky rulebook to read and could last a few hours, while the former is just streamlined but taking place on a world map rather than a town.

Descent and Imperial Assault are both excellent and exceed any previously mentioned title, but again are not fully cooperative.

If you're looking for a fully coop dungeon crawler, the D&D Adventure System games are honestly the way to go.
>>
>>51525350
To elaborate on the last thing...

Ashardalon/Elemental Evil > Ravenloft > Drizzt.

But any that you prefer the looks of is fine, they're not that different. Consider the playable characters too.
>>
>>51525350
thought descent 2nd ed is fully coop with the app?
>>
File: pic806419.jpg (775KB, 1926x1320px) Image search: [Google]
pic806419.jpg
775KB, 1926x1320px
I'm working on a game that falls between Advance Heroquest and Warhammer Quest, but with more streamlined rules.

Dungeons will be pre-made out of tiles, but I also want to include a way to play procedural dungeons.

Largely loot and class based. It'll be an action point system where players roll a number of dice at the beginning of their turn and must "buy" actions with them.

Does this sound interesting? Or am I just excited about it cause I'm making it?
>>
>>51525414
I've always heard that ravenloft was the best. Can you tell me why you disagree with that?
>>
>>51525588
sounds like masmora desu but we don't have a ton of info
>>
>>51525613
Not him, but i've played raven loft and drizzt. drizzt is cool but not too hard, had a good variety of models imo. raven loft is legitimately hard to beat. also, only one comes with rules for an extended campaign but you can look those up online for free and apply them to any of the games
>>
A no-dice civilization game on GMT's P500 program. Not much info on it yet but worth keeping an eye on:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-624-ancient-civilizations-of-the-inner-sea.aspx
>>
>>51525613
and I've always heard ashardalon was the worst. I've seen very few online resources/forums that don't list it was the worst
>>
Does anyone have the POD expansions for Arkham Horror LCG? Are either worth getting?
>>
>>51511136

Hornet/Apache/Thunderbolt Leade mix would be okay if it wasn't for 150$ total price tag, and the fact that we only really need the 'mission generator' cards ...

>>51511399

Basically opposing, but team, solo or megagame will do.
Also, primarily centered around Air ops, but win/loss depends on ground combat - which will be mostly out of our hands.

>>51521372

Yes, already know about it, and No, I'm not crazy.
A (very, very, VERY) simplified version of it would sorta/kinda be approaching the ideal, though.

>>51521909

Lol, no - unless XCOM with dogfights - in which case hell yea!
>>
>>51525520
Oh yeah, it is. I never knew about the app. Can't possibly be as unpredictable as a DM but it's nice to have the option.
>>
>>51525613
I love Ravenloft, it's brutal and unforgiving. Its only shortfall imo is that some of the rules aren't properly clarified in the printed text and there's a few spelling errors. As a result, you might think you've beaten a chapter properly when you really haven't. The really hard chapters are truly stupidly hard though.

For why I put Ashardalon up there, I think it was the game that Ravenloft wanted to be - clear rules, not too hard, good challenge variety, well-balanced character choices. Also helps that it's themed to retro D&D, I think that's more accessible to people. It also doesn't recycle as many old art assets (could be wrong).

Elemental Evil felt like more of the same to me, just with a 5e style.

Drizzt was garbage. The scenarios aren't half as fun and the choice of characters is really poor. Except for some cool minis, it isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on.
>>
>>51525350
Mansions of Madness is fully co-op now with the app, can play from 1-5.
>>
File: 20170202_141140.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170202_141140.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Sup fatgoyims

Just wanted to report in with this week's pull

> forbidden desert
> port royal
> +pic related

What you think? Did i do good?

Played clank last night, its pretty great. Planning to play fuse and survive tmro
Planning to open up defenders, get excited looking at the bits, and then never play it.
>>
If I have some money on the bank. Is scalping kickstarter boardgame stuff a good investment?
>>
>>51528679
There is a reason why investment companies don't put their money into "a shitload of kickstarter content" and that reason is not "they don't know what kickstarter is"
>>
>>51528722
Thanks for posting this anon, I was about to go angry old man on the wisdom of kickstarter "investing" before you made me chuckle.
>>
>>51528722
>>51528753
what about popular games that will run out of print
>>
>>51522971
Galaxy Defenders
>>51525714
ooh nice, looking forward to more info
>>51527945
Survive! is pretty good for a family game, no opinion on the rest though
>>
>>51528775
If you want to invest actual money, get your 401k pumped up or get some tax-free municipal bonds or something. If "some money" to invest is $50, then no you don't have some money in the bank, you need to start putting 5-10% of your check in savings for the next year. Good stuff that goes out of print will always come back in some form or another, and the idea that you're going to turn $50 on something like FoD into $200 is a bad bet when GW or FFG puts it out as a 4th edition, or with another theme on it.
>>
>>51527945
>Planning to open up defenders, get excited looking at the bits, and then never play it.

Heh! Classic BGS (Board Gamer Syndrome).
>>
File: 1445270503992.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1445270503992.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>51528775
I mean the "strategy" of "investing" in board games is like a more retarded version of art investing.

So you have to cover for management and storage, then you have to sell it.

What's your ROI?

What's your hourly rate? If you can't get your hourly rate from your ROI then why not just do another hour every week at work?

What happens to your ROI when one of your clients scams you? Or the post office/fedex breaks the game and refuses to reimburse you? Do you take storage costs into account? Do you have any idea what amount of time you'd need to manage the sells?

A model of a shop that specializes in speculating on games that goes out of stock would work. But you'd have to buy a lot of copies of a single game and have a varied portfolio for serious returns.

For shorter runs it's basically gambling on random events and that people will actually want to buy the game.

Imagine for a minute that you buy CitOW and plan to sell it for 2x the buying price. What happens when FFG announces that it's doing Chaos in the Galaxy Far Far Away: Totally Not Warhammer? Do you think a lot of people would pay you x2 instead of paying the price of CitGFFA? For a real example - see how many auctions for Dune on ebay there are versus how many Rex copies get sold.

If you want to do it as a hobby or you're a collector. That's fine.
If you want to open a shop that specializes in that - you could fail spectacularly but it could work.
As an "investment" "strategy" - you're basically gambling.

Also
>>51528827
>>
What can other games learn from Kemet?
>>
>>51510657
>munchkin peaking thru his right arm and side
mother f*cker
>>
>>51529706
How to force people to fight early and often but profitably. Also how to make a game with spendable and renewable resources that do not require board control.
>>
File: 1472654057775.jpg (8MB, 8099x4049px) Image search: [Google]
1472654057775.jpg
8MB, 8099x4049px
Any good territory control games you envisioned? Concepts?
>>
anybody play defenders of the last stand ? just wondering how much there is to get acquainted with before jumping into a game.

>>51527945
almost forgot, i also got jungle speed coming in tmro
>>
>>51525971
Have them both, but haven't played either. I'm just a completionist. If they're half as good as the Dunwich Legacy scenarios, they'll be worth it.
>>
how's forbidden stars?
>>
>>51531066
Good, but long with full player count. Get it before it becomes impossible to find.
>>
>>51529819
Risk set in the 1920's slums, just a long street with houses as territory.
>>
>>51519612
Based on what I'm seeing in the kickstarter, it just adds in a few more rules to allow for more confrontational tile setting. Adjacent player tokens can be done, and conflicts are resolved by a system of exp points and dice. Also, taking a room involves either a drawn card event or by players facing off.

I'm worried that after a while you will recognize the room event cards and it loses that element of surprise.

It looks fun.
>>
>>51528679
NO, GOD NO.
Never, ever, EVER use table top hobbies as a means of investment, especially with board games. Listen to these anons
>>51528827
>>51529069

Games almost never retain their value and almost always get reprinted. I have a collection of 20 games valued at $830 msrp new but i spent a bit more than $500 on the collection from buying more than 75% of them used. You will have to sell your used games at around 50-80% of their original price to find a buyer. Secondhand buyers almost always aren't interested in sealed product at a near msrp rate. Limited games like KDM are no exception, I saw a copy on craigslist going for $120 before the nee kickstartet was even announced.

I wish hobbyist stockmarket players would realize that you need to find buyers fire your, allow me to put an emphasis on, NICHE product.

I invested around 1200 dollars into an mtg power cube (with proxies)over the years and it is now worth around $2,000. However I have been trying to sell it for a year (discovered board gaming and liked it more) and haven't been able to sell it even for $1500.
>>
>>51532108
Have you tried selling the cards separately?
>>
>tfw you don't have a crokinole board
>>
>>51532976
iktf
>>
Just tried the og Zombicide. It was alright, the group I played with was kinda meh. How much better is Black Plague?
>>
>>51532976
>>51533076
I feel that shit in my soul
>>
>>51525971
The scenarios themselves are apparently good, but the printing quality varies from decent to being unable to see certain information on the cards.
>>
>>51532108
on magiccard market i sold my cards for like 600 euro.

mtg is actually a good investment, if you have the knowledge .
>>
>>51532498
The only way to sell off that many cards individually is online, and by the time you get cucked with that many different shipping fees/packaging costs/losing fees you come out as a loss
>>
So Descent or imperial Assault?

How good is the skirmish mode?
Does the overlord have to go easy in IA?
>>
>>51529706
That upgrades are fun.
>>
>>51535722
Do you like science fantasy or regular fantasy more? Alternatively, do you care about a 1v1 miniatures game being included with your 1vMany miniatures game?
>>
File: yashima.png (118KB, 246x199px) Image search: [Google]
yashima.png
118KB, 246x199px
Would you recommend this as a skirmisher? Looking for a good fighting/arena game and this seems cool but I've never played it.
>>
Does anyone here play Virgin Queen?

I'd like to talk about Virgin Queen.
>>
What about a boardgame featuring tile placement, card drafting, deckbuilding, miniatures and a legacy pack.
>>
>>51538611

What about it?
>>
>>51538662
It would be the ultimate kickstarter setup.
>>
File: 1398577889898.jpg (48KB, 198x232px) Image search: [Google]
1398577889898.jpg
48KB, 198x232px
>>51538611
this sounds promising, tell me more
>>
>>51539057
Its like carcassone, 7wonders, dominion, blood rage and pandemic legacy all at once set in a fantasy world featuring notromans, not-egyptians, not-middleeastern not-asian people. Just pay $900+ to get all the content.
>>
>>51539088
gotta throw in some lovecraft my man
>>
>>51539088
>>51539112
Well, I know of certain french bankers that would be interested in seeing a functional demo.
>>
>>51539112
Egyptians and romans team up to fight lovecraftian inspired mythological monsters while also fighting eachother. After tileplacing around the nile (egypt) and various roman strongholds (romans) you draft cards that either give money or special bonuses, money and bonusses are then used in a deckbuilding mechanic used in every turn. The money you draw in the deckbuilding part is used to bid in a bidding part. While fighting sculptures of monsters that you need to pay 500+ to get more than 2 that come in the base set.
>>
who thought this was a good idea?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1293726726/superhot-the-card-game
>>
>>51539730
To be fair it's about as close to turn based as FPS games get.

I'm pretty aroused by the 2R1B expansion KS though. $6 shipped for some pretty intense new roles isn't bad. About my only complaint is that they're mostly new cards that were cut between the early PnP files and production for the base game.
>>
Anon who brought up using the ships Star Wars x wing in a Mario kart variant, what ships are usable in the 24 point limit?

I doubt I could get my friends and family into playing the x wing game but I'm sure they would play a Mario kart simulator and I don't want to waste money buying a mini that is worth too many points
>>
>>51539844
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Most of the non-large ships have at least one pilot under 24.
>>
>>51539844
X, A, B, Y, HWK, K (way too slow), T-70, U, Z95 and shuttle for rebels. Everything except Firespray, Defender, Phantom, Upsilon and Decimator for Imperials......... fuck it STEEV's got it. Though I do use the other popular list builder
>http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/
>>
>>51539907
Yeah, both are good list builders, I don't really have a preference. Wish I had the time and cash to develop more of a collection or play more tourneys, the game really is solid for a dice chucker.
>>
>>51535722
Are you implying the overlord has to go easy in Descent?
Maybe in first edition, but in second a four players party will absolutely steamroll every quest come Act II
>>
>>51539893
>>51539907
Much appreciated!
>>
>>51539967
>time and cash to develop more of a collection
Amen, I was only "allowed" by the wife to start in last August for my birthday. Thankfully 2 cores, and 4 expansions between that and Xmas is giving me the excuse to make a couple linen/caulk playmats for the kart version, and see about printing up HotAC even if we'll only be able to do the first 2-3 missions with proxies.
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>51540024
Also I skipped out on work the front half the day, and updated this a lil bit over coffee, if anyone wants anything else done to it speak up.
>>
>>51540949
letters to whitechapel and fury of dracula are so similar, would it be better to replace whitechapel with mr jack?
>>
>>51541641
I've been debating that and swapping in any of the other hidden movement/tracking ones too; went with Whitechapel just because it's so highly ranked by others, to me they're bout even. Could swap it out tho if people prefer more variance?
>>
>>51541670
i think mr jack is just a good intro to deduction plus its designed for two players which i think is good for an intro to partner games
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>51541705
Yeah you convinced me, also lets that category's avg weight drop a little more, it had 3 heavier options in the list.
>>
File: pic834119[1].jpg (381KB, 756x756px) Image search: [Google]
pic834119[1].jpg
381KB, 756x756px
Just picked this up today, anything I should know before playing?

Should I just dive in and use all three modules for the first game? We are already using base game + pegasus.
>>
>>51542069
If you real you go all in
>>
>>51542212
>If you real
how bout dah?
>>
>>51542212
Oh, we real.

I'm just worried the ionian nebula part and its ability to eliminate players from the game might not be very fun. Does anyone have any experience with and and might know otherwise?
>>
>>51510705
I feel ya
>>
>>51523409
>>51521813
7wonders:duel is a pretty great 2-player game, same designer as Takenoko btw. It's really not as dull as Splendor (I'd agree that it's really king of the dull game), there's multiple strategies and at least three different ways to win (2 of which are instantaneous), which means it's quite tense. There's a lot of build-up as you progress through three ages, basically three decks of cards that you'll share (with some cards you'll likely destroy for the opponent not to get them). There's a good deal of resource management, and definitely foreseeing. Knowing how to conduct a succesful strategy is just as important as reacting to the opponent's shenanigans.

One key problem of Duel is that the pyramid structure often means one player is going to get screwed by revealing hidden cards and thus greatly helping his opponent against his own will. Forcing your opponent to do so is another key skill but it can be a bit bothersome when it's always the same person who manages this (I know it's the case most of the time with my friend) as it kinda feels like you are playing against yourself. The Pantheon extansion certainly adress that nicely though.

It's quite quick, quite tense, cards are clear, there's no text to read, illustrations are a bit generic but I think they are quite pretty and they fit the general theme. The two authors are veteran designers and it shows, it's just a plain good mid-level of complexity game. And the box (at least in my country) isn't one of those chips-like box with 50% of nothing, the packaging is actually really well put.
>>
>>51521813
Mysterium is a nice 2-7 game that, for what I've played adapts pretty nicely to either a small or a big number, much better than many games anyway.
The game is a nice take on the cooperative game as the alpha player risk is imho greatly reduced.
The game is really pretty and quite friendly.
>>
File: evolution climate.jpg (17KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
evolution climate.jpg
17KB, 246x246px
Yes or no?
>>
>>51542909
The packaging does seem specifically designed for duel but I feel it does have some suboptimal space use. Which they kept the bigger cardsizes of 7Wonders. Although that would make it cost even more deskspace
>>
File: tmp_1485912200758-623684825.jpg (187KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1485912200758-623684825.jpg
187KB, 1200x1600px
So, yesterday my copy of coup and dead of winter came, so we played a couple of games in coop mode on DoW first then like 2 hours of coup.

Coop in DoW was quite easy so we added the rule to show all cards and if we draw an equip or a find survivors we had to play it immediately, which made the mission "no man left behind" way harder.

Coup was really good and was enjoyed the most even if DoW was also enjoyed quite a bit and in my opinion is far superior.
>>
>>51543002
It's a fun and well made game for sure. It's not too hard to learn and if the theme appeals to you I would highly recommend it. Just know that if you play with an experienced player for the first time you will get stomped and it will feel sucky because there are certain combos players learn to try to assemble.
>>
>>51543094

get the expansion for coup, it makes it even better
>>
>>51543094
DoW in full co-op is a waste of time without going for the hardmode scenarios. And even then you're probably better off with a traitor possibility.

>>51543158
+1
>>
any games you're excited for in 2017?
>>
>>51543221
My favorite part of every new year is tracking all the ks games other people hype up. Then, when each one is released, I write down all the shitty parts of the game and constantly remind people about the horrible shit they wasted money on because they just had to pay before it came out.

Stop supporting kikesucker, faggots.
>>
>>51543221
Waiting for this weebtastic KS to drop, the netflix Voltron series rekindled my cheesy mecha lust.
>>
>>51543273
how incredibly jaded of u anon
>>
>>51542909
How difficult is the learning curve for 7 wonders duel?
>>
File: giga weeb.jpg (3MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
giga weeb.jpg
3MB, 2160x2160px
>>51543280
>forgetting the pic
>>
>>51543304
Pre-order focus is why the video game industry is a shitshow. Kickstarter will devolve board games to that same nonsense. In fact, it kind of already has. People paid exorbitant prices for a game that has already existed for ten years because they added some cute models (Santorini). People paid 100 dollars for a game that sold you more cardboard cutouts than models and can only be played once (Gloomhaven). I could go on and on, the point is if people are gonna shill retarded shit and help drag the quality of board games down I am going to try to make at least one person regret those purchases.

tldr ya I'm pretty fuckin jaded desu
>>
>>51543315
It of course depends on what you're playing already (I don't think it's any harder than the original 7wonders for instance) but I didn't thought it was that high, it's not like I play it professionally or anything.
It's the type of game that you'd better play at least 2-3 times before understanding it completely, how the three ways of winning works succesfully, but then there's not that much cards, most of everything is laid out in plain sight so remembering cards and stuff isn't really needed. You need a little bit of foresight but the game is at best 40min, it's not crazy or anything.
I don't really consider myself a great player but it isn't very high imho. I still wouldn't consider it an entry-game, it's just your typical mid-level game.
>>
File: exorbitant.png (24KB, 835x93px) Image search: [Google]
exorbitant.png
24KB, 835x93px
>>51543428
>exorbitant prices
>santorini
Pick one.
Or name a good $34 game with more high quality plastic in it.
>>
>>51543605
To be fair the kickstarter was 70CAD + shipping, so more like $58, but still bitching about games getting upgrade in component quality in exchange for higher pricing is rather silly.
>>
>>51543605
>paying 50 for santorini
Are you a fucking moron? You can play that game with wood blocks. If you're willing to pay that much for a game with barely extant ruleset you are a huge part of the problem. I have no intention of actually debating this with you on 4chan because most people here don't fall for retarded games like that but I spend a lot of time on other sites shit talking flavor of the month games that faggots like you circle jerk over and I'd bet I've convinced at least one person not to buy Santorini and one person to regret buying it so that's good enough for me.

now back to plebbit with you, where they'll gladly tell you what you want to hear about Santorini and how great it is and how you're supporting quality items
>>
>>51543605
>exorbitant
>posting a reduced price
holy fuck, I like Santorini but you look like an absolute fucking retarded posting this shit
>>
>What's your favorite dead game anons?
Well, I guess Ankh Morpork counts, given that Pratchett's estate has rescinded the licence to all Discworld games
>What needs to be brought back to life with a reprint or fresh expansions?
Groo: The Card Game. I demand a fray!

On an unrelated note, Armello is 30% off on Steam... is it worth it?
>>51517297
I've heard it's the best boxing game, so take from that what you will.
>>51543280
>>51543350
>a good mecha board game
I want to believe...
>>
>>51543273
>>51543428
Just out of curiosity, did you find a game where you couldn't find any shitty parts on it yet, without mentioning the "excessive plastic" and "only play once" angle?
>>
>>51543777
Not that anon, but I'm hopeful for Giga Robo and the not!Armored Core game atleast, both seem pretty decent.
>>
>>51543673
Oh boy it's this faggot again.
Going to throw another complete mental shitfit because people have the audacity to think Santorini is a good game?
>>
>>51543788
You can find a negative angle to literally anything and I'm really doing it to discourage pre-ordering so whether the game is good or not I will put people down for buying into the kickstarter. I actually think Santorini is beautiful and plan on buying gloom haven at some point, but I would never admit this on a site that wasn't anonymous.
>>
>>51543002
A very loud yes from me.
I have the older base game, which is a ton of fun and I've heard nothing but good things about Climate and the additional layer of depth it adds. I'm gonna upgrade soon and give my old copy away to a friend.
>>
Ok anons, Agricola/Le Havre/Caverna/Feast for Odin, what's your pick?
>>
Im actually tempted to buy Tortuga 1667, its so cheap and the components and game look amazing.

I guess I'll just hold it out until it hits the stores since it doesn't have any dealbreaking KS exclusives.

Its kind of sad that games that shove down exclusive backer content down your throat are the ones that get the bigger backer numbers, but I hope it evens out and games like Tortuga beat them in the long run.
I mean look at Conan, I don't think anyone is buying the retail version.
>>
>>51543848
>this faggot again
what?
>>
>>51543876
Munchkin
>>
>>51543888
>doesn't have exclusives
exactly, so we can wait and watch people play the game so we know if its good before buying. this is what the industry as a whole does not want you to do because it means they have to provide good products instead of just good hype
>>
>>51543691
>reduced price
That is the standard price at the biggest online retailer in the country.
No one in this thread would even consider paying MSRP unless they're in a third world country and have no other option.
>>
File: 1483186263963.jpg (76KB, 700x487px) Image search: [Google]
1483186263963.jpg
76KB, 700x487px
>>51543901
I wanna be angry but that actually got a nice laugh, thanks anon.
>>
>>51544063
i was talking about being against ks you fucking idiot. no reduced prices there. are you unable to comprehend what you read or are you just the kind of person who likes to pretend to be retarded?
>>
>>51543890
thread went to hell a few days back because of pro and anti santorini shitposters
>>
>>51544066
it's always a pleasure to make things worse (in a good way). you're welcome.

now seriously, I liked Le Harve, I played as 1v1 and I won buying only boats and some buildings. I can't talk for the other games.
>>
>>51544116
so now I have to waste my time listening to some autist who can't let it go? jesus christ he's more of a cunt than they were then
>>
>>51543189
We of course went for the hardcore scenarios, next time well play with modules too.

>>51543158
didn't know it have an expansion, Ill be sure to check it, thanks!
>>
>>51544102
If someone in the US backed the Santorini Kickstarter, they paid $53.76 after shipping for the base game and the golden fleece expansion, and recieved the game a month+ before it was available retail.

If someone bought it retail today from CSI, they pay a quite reasonable $33.99 for the base game, and $12.99 for the expansion, totaling $46.98 before shipping. Even if you assume further purchases lumped together to get free shipping from CSI, that's only a savings of $6.78 compared to the kickstarter. Hardly an "exorbitant" hike by any reasonable standard.
>>
>>51544226
>he just can't stop fucking shilling
Dude I already told you I don't have a problem with the game, I just like to fuck with people for supporting ks. You can hate it or whatever and be a whiny bitch if you want but I have no interest in seeing you post more "facts" about this plastic you can't stop getting erect for.
>>
>>51540949
Much better list anon, well done. However, tides of madness is much better than tides of time. They are the same exact game but madness adds one extra mechanic to give it a push in depth which helps a lot with its replayability.
>>
>>51544361
You seem like a braindead faggot who can't understand simple posts.
>>
>>51544377
I agree with this, but would like to point out that it is not the perfect fit for everyone. My boyfriend enjoys games when simple masterable mechanics and preferably card counting. (Hive, Carcassonne, Hanabi, Lost Legacy, etc) Because of this, he reckons he would like Time much more than Madness. (Though we only have Madness and he finds it decent.) I've played both, and Madness definitely has more game in it, which for me is a very good thing.
>>
>>51543273
I sure havent seen you on the KDM thread, assblasted it is a good game?
>>
>>51543428
>People paid 100 dollars for a game that sold you more cardboard cutouts than models and can only be played once (Gloomhaven).

>100 dollars
Kickstarter was 79

>more cardboard cutouts than models
A shit ton of cutouts. 45 monster types each with on average 5 or 6 standees. Add to the massive amount of cards for items, monster behavior, events, etc. And the big pile of dungeon tiles. Even though there's only a handful of models there is plenty of stuff in the box to warrant the cost.

>can only be played once
Considering one play through is probably going to take 50+ nights of gaming I am ok with that.
>>
>>51544411
You seem like a retard but that's fine this is an anonymous board and you have nothing to prove. Have fun spouting your faggotry in a place where there are no consequences, that's why it's here but we both know you are not a quality poster. In the spirit of not feeding trolls trying this hard I will be ignoring your responses form here on out. If you really want to shit somewhere up do what I do and make fake plebbit accounts. It's more fun and more productive because those cunts believe the retarded things you say.
>>
>>51544463
If you own madness you can choose not to use the madness mechanic and then it is the same game as tides of time
>>
>>51543876
caverna by far as it is the only one I own but see no point in having other similar games.
>>
>It's a Two Fags Circlejerk and Ruin Another Thread episode
>>
>>51544484
I already said I don't do it on 4chan, why the fuck do people who can't comprehend what I'm saying keep replying to me? Of course it's a good game, but I've also already stated that I shit talk ks games whether they are good or not on other sites. Holy fuck people, read and understand before you comment back.

But, to keep this discussion productive, I really do love KDM. It's really thematic and random in the fun way, not the holy fuck now everything is gone straight to hell because I rolled a single 1 way. Setting it up so that death doesn't annihilate your plans and so that each fight isn't do or die as far as the campaign goes was a sweet move and I really hope they find a way to sell it at a lower price someday so people who can't/won't pay for it at this price point can experience it.

Plus KDM is a ks only game that didn't limit itself to one release so it doesn't really qualify as a game that only makes money because it hypes people into buying it before it can be adequately reviewed anymore (meaning since second ks campaign)
>>
>>51544489
My main point was not that I don't think the games are not worth it. Learn to comprehend what you read faggot. I also said earlier that I plan to buy this game for more than 100. You are a retarded cunt and you can feel free to defend yourself but I will not respond to your faggorty again. Reread the thread if you want, I think gloom haven looks like a good game. Fuck off.
>>
>>51544594
>jaded faggot that ruins other peoples fun
>KDMfag
Why am I surpriced.
>>
>>51544642
>can't afford KDM
>can't spell surprised
why am i not surprised?
>>
>>51544594
People can get tabletop simulator and play it on there
>>
>>51544594
>zero reading comprehension
>complains about peoples reading comprehension

Wew lad
>>
>>51544681
I already played ut and voiced my complains several times but only answers I got were insults. Is an ok game at best.
>>
File: 1717638.jpg (47KB, 584x640px) Image search: [Google]
1717638.jpg
47KB, 584x640px
>>51544806
>I already played ut
Boardgame adaptation when.
>>
>>51544630
>My main point was not that I don't think the games are not worth it.
Then what the fuck was the point of your post.
>This reasonably priced game that I think could be pretty awesome is an example of the retarded shit being shilled on kickstarter that is going to ruin the board game industry.
>>
>>51524728
Rhino Hero fucking based honestly
>>
>>51544760
>repeating other peoples' insults
>this desperate for anonymous attention
wew
w
e
w
>>
>>51544806
>can't afford KDM
>can't spell it
why am i not surprised?
>>
>>51544540
Hey, at least I'm not one of them...
>>
>>51544377
I went with Time simply because it was the link I clicked first, and I'm too lazy to change it at this point.
>>
>>51544932
>you are poor LOL
nice damage control over your shitty game. I even said I have played, a full campaign too. But repeating yourself is fitting, just like KDM does.
>>
>>51545001
>insulting things you can't afford
I remember doing this all the time when I was poor. Maybe someday you'll make something of yourself. Until then you're just another jaded loser who doesn't understand what it's like to have high standards and then have those standards met. But that's fine, I'm sure there's someone out there who cares about you. Hell, I'm sure there's someone in this thread cheering for you, hoping you keep fighting the loser's eternal fight. And for that reason, I'm out.
>>
>>51544540
>>51544956
>spending seconds of your life typing this
and you let the trolls win again. faggots.
>>
>>51545199
>that salty faggot post
>>
>>51545199
>you are poor LOL
>I have no counter arguments
>stop disliking what I like
>I will have the last word
what a fag
>>
How do I get people to play the 2015 Star Wars Risk? I try and explain that it isn't ACTUALLY Risk, but they remain unconvinced...
>>
>>51545328
Do you just not have any credibility with your group?
If I told my friends SW Risk 2015 was a reskin of Fire in the Lake they'd believe me until I was halfway through explaining the rules.
>>
>>51545328
Set it up and show it to them. No one could mistake that board for a game of Risk.
>>
>>51545278
>>51545291
>I'm very poor
>believe the "only children and neckbeards living with mom go on 4chan meme
>get this assblasted when a real adult with a real job infiltrates my secret loser club
>>
>>51545431
>Im out
>keeps amswering
tfw you will never be this assblasted
>>
>>51545510
>implying I'm out means i won't respond anymore
>not understanding things
>too dumb to have a legit career
>can't afford KDM
wow it all makes sense anon
>>
>>51545431
>real adult with a real job
I'm afraid being the poster child for Potato Awareness makes you neither.
>>
>>51545599
>>implying I'm out means i won't respond anymore

Welp it's official, you're just a fucking retard.
>>
>>51545599
>implying I'm out means i won't respond anymore
Whew.
>>
>>51545639
>he doesn't understand that the I'm out was the bait
Holy fuck you can't write a more perfectly executed troll. This jabrony walked right into and was so fucking oblivious he couldn't help but point out TWICE how unaware he was that he was being bamboozled. Seriously, it's moments like this that make me realize I will never stop acting retarded on the internet to make sad people get assblasted beyond reason. Thanks, anon, for reminding why I do this unsuccessfully many times. Just this one instance has made me so genuinely happy that I will continue shitting up this entire website to find faggots like you to piss off. Holy fuck I cannot remember the last time I smiled this big.

See, when you work a stressful job sometimes you just need to get under peoples' skin to let off some steam. I feel bad mocking the poor irl because it's too easy. But here you are, just too fucking easy of a target (because you're poor AND stupid) so I couldn't resist. Have a great rest of your day, young lady.
>>
>>51545712
HOLY FUCK IT WORKED ON TWO OF YOU FUCKHEADS
>>
>>51541863
My only comment on this one is that the onitama box is so small that one can't tell what it is if one isn't already familiar with the game.
>>
>>51545737
>"I was just pretending to be retarded."
The simple fact that you have to write a whole apology paragraph to justify yourself doesn't exactly help you.
>>
File: theShat.png (195KB, 410x314px) Image search: [Google]
theShat.png
195KB, 410x314px
Guys
Please
>>
Anyone here with some homebrew for Dead of winter? Mainly crossroad cards would be cool.
>>
>>51545737
Man, I haven't seen this level of sperglord in some time.
>>
>>51545788
Yeah BGG didn't have a good box image for it, thankfully anyone who saves/posts it will know the game and be able to answer when some random anon asks "wtf is that tiny box?"
>>
File: r3248057280.jpg (16KB, 182x256px) Image search: [Google]
r3248057280.jpg
16KB, 182x256px
>>51545797
>>51545880
>they still can't get over it
>>
>>51545949
>being this mad
wow, stop posting anytime
>>
Anyone else hype for alien frontiers?
I'm kinda apprehensive about Game Salute because of what people have said about their practices tho
>>
>>51542291
I haven't played BSG in ages, and I don't own it. IIRC one of the 3 expansions was considered 'problematic' - but I can't recall which of them it was exactly. (I want to say Pegasus - but I won't bet my life on it.) Hopefully STEEV or one of the others who have played it a lot more will help you out later.

>>51542909
>The Pantheon extension certainly addresses that nicely though.

Thanks - I was wondering if it was worth picking up.

>>51544594
>I've also already stated that I shit talk ks games whether they are good or not on other sites

Has it occurred to you that we like giving shit to a salty ass-hat who's whole argument is "Kike-starter? Waaaa - stop liking what I don't like!"
>>
>>51546085
Not going in for it since I already have it but yes, Alien Frontiers is good, Game Salute is crap. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>51545737
>I will never stop acting retarded on the internet
>I will continue shitting up this entire website

lawl, this is 4chan you newfag dumbfuck.
>>
>>51545843
There are some additional cards (like 5 of them) available on the board game geek 'shop'. I know there were probably a few more 'custom' ones done for some of the Tom Vassel "fund raising" kick starters - you might find those on the 'geek bazaar' on bgg or on Ebay. (Check the geek store first - people on Ebay resell bgg's stuff at retardedly inflated prices.
>>
File: r240982724905.jpg (19KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
r240982724905.jpg
19KB, 499x499px
>>51545997
>still giving an admitted troll attention
>>
Is it possible for euros to be thematic
>>
>>51546209
Are you unable to think for yourself or are you just unable to understand the definition of thematic?
>>
>>51546123
>>51546166
the (You)s will never end
>>
>>51546209
All euros are thematic, just the level of thematic integration varies.
>>
>>51546209
What the fuck kind of question is that?
>>
>>51546275
Obvious bait is obvious.

My big dilemma is figuring out *which* of my 5 player games (should be 4 or 5 players) to take to this weekend's gaming session. Help me /tg/! Choosing is hard!
>>
>>51546397
this is the most plebbit post I've seen all day
>>
>>51546397
What kind of gaming session? Playtime? What sort of players?
>>
>>51546433
>using that word that just makes you look like a spastic
>>
>>51546123
I wish I'd played enough BSG with expansions to be useful to that conversation.
I've only played with Pegasus, and never with the New Caprica module.
>>
>>51546188
damn, but I really dont care about having a tom vassel survivor in the game, I just want to get to like 100 crossroad cards.

Also they are so easy to proxy.
>>
>>51546454
>he thinks strangers on the anonymous website care what he thinks of them
wow you can't write this level of pussy shit
>>
>>51546267
>thematic integration
How would you define this? Something like how closely a mechanic simulates a proposed "real" mechanism which it is said to stand for?
>>
>>51546503
No no, just informing you that while you sit there going "hurr hurr I wrote plebbit instead of reddit, I stuck it to those losers", you just look like a fucking scrub. Obviously you're fine with that and that's ok.
>>
>>51546547
>he still thinks other people care how they are perceived on an anonymous website
wow man you have some real self esteem problems if you even think other people feel this way. sorry bro
>>
>>51546727
>that projecting
>>
So we played through Terra Mystica once and it has to be the most overrated game ever. There is no theme whatsoever, it completely sucks with 2 players, you can't attack other people, and it's pretty much the same thing as Dominion, but more expensive. Wow, 60 bucks for multiplayer solitaire.
>>
>>51546747
You obviously did no research about the game before you bought it and so you deserve to feel sad.
>>
>>51546747
0/10
Wait a minute, is this bait, am I being rused now? It's possible but then again, this is a really convincing post of someone being a complete imbecile.
>>
File: My Collection 2017-01-13.png (2MB, 1263x1533px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-01-13.png
2MB, 1263x1533px
>>51546435
I've got way to many games (pic related - and it doesn't include most of my expansions) and I was using Game Shelf to ease my 'selection' process but sadly they're shutting down. That said, there's a new site:

http://www.boardgamecaddie.com/

That seems to be picking up the ball.

My group consist of a couple of older gamers (old-fags like me) and several younger players. It's a matter of easing the younger gamers into more complex games. I'd love to jump into a game of Archipelago, but that might be too much. I'm looking at Roll for the Galaxy or 7 Wonders. Citadels was a huge hit with this group, as was 'The Grizzled'. Several of them play MTG casually and I'm considering 'Core Worlds' as a good way to introduce them to 'Deck Builders'.
>>
>>51546796
>150 odd games
>way to many

Oh dear oh dear anon. You are tiny babby league.
>>
>>51519617
I got a faux leather briefcase from hobby lobby.

Can anyone tell me how popular Summoner Wars is? There's a shit ton of those little card packs and they're all frigging different
>>
File: martians.jpg (189KB, 981x743px) Image search: [Google]
martians.jpg
189KB, 981x743px
When is The First Martians coming out?
>>
>>51546747
>>51546765
I have to agree with this. It's a mediumweight euro, some people like them. Moreover, it's a damn fucking good mediumweight euro that doesn't try to pose as anything else, like Scythe or Champions of Mifdgard do.
If you played a 5 player euro expecting it to play like a 2 player ameritrash thematic ride, it's not the game, faggot, it's you.
>>
>>51546830
I jest - I'm waiting for the "You should only own 20 games - PERIOD!" Anon to have his cheese slide of his Ritz. I randomly encounter the author of the 'Dungeon Roll' game a while back and when we were talking he mentioned that he has over 800 games in his collection.
>>
>>51546883
>I got a faux leather briefcase from hobby lobby.
And I've gotten broken bones and dislocated fingers while doing martial arts. What the heck does either of these have to do with board gaming?!?

>Can anyone tell me how popular Summoner Wars is? There's a shit ton of those little card packs and they're all frigging different.

The general consensus here seems to be that Summoner Wars is good, but requires a substantial time investment on the part of the players in order to really see the full depth of the game. And unfortunately it can be hard to find a group willing to invest that kind of time in a board game / card game. Mage Wars is another similar system - I'd suggest checking out their entries on the board game geek site (as well as the activity on their related forums) and then hit Youtube for some 'how to play' videos before investing in either one.
>>
>>51547031
He was responding to someone asking about storing a game are you fucking retarded? Jesus Christ.......
>>
>>51546883
Some anons here talked about how they adored the game at first, then steadily fell out of love with it.
I have the iOS app, and maybe it's because the interface is sort of clunky and lacks the tactile element, but I never liked it much.
>>
>>51545737
Its like pottery
>>
>>51546883
It's moderately popular, but I dont think it'll ever be great without an overhaul to the simple dice combat and snowballing problems.
>>
File: 1473285651644.jpg (44KB, 574x382px) Image search: [Google]
1473285651644.jpg
44KB, 574x382px
>>51546209
I still don't understand what thematic means. People say Splendor has no theme, but you are making jewelry and then selling it to buy cards that represent new ways of getting tools/ore/connections until you are the best jewel maker in the world.

I feel like "theme" in board games is almost akin to "meme" like mechanics. I really don't understand it
>>
>>51547410
>replying to a troll over an hour later
wew
>>
>>51547496
It's a matter of whether the theme influences the gameplay and vice versa. Splendor could have any theme and it would make sense. Risk could not be rethemed to being about jewelry making and make sense. Splendor could have you saving up resources (gems) to win battles (cards) and eventually conquer continents (nobles). Any theme could be applied to Splendor, so it functionally has no theme.
>>
>>51547496
Splendour has a tacked on theme. It also lacks theme integration and immersion.
>>
>>51547496
Part of the problem is the term has been around so long it's sort of accepted, but I think immersion is a better description. Like can you forget you're playing a board game for a minute and get sucked into the game on a level more than "ok I need 5 brown cubes to buy that black cube, which will let me upgrade my red cubes to green". Compare that to something like Rebellion where you're making up a retelling of the Star Wars trilogy and getting sucked into the pictures and text and models etc.
>>
>>51546528
Yes.

I think thematic rating tells you the balance between focussing on game mechanics and trying to simulate the reality of the theme.
>>
>>51544865
Why?
>>
>>51546898
>Dungeon Roll
Fuck, I really hate that game
>>
>>51543221
My plan for 2017 is to only buy War of the Ring, maybe Arkham Horror: LCG and go the entire year without buying anything else (maybe I'll buy expansions to the games I already have and like)
>>
>>51547989
I don't own it, and have never played it, so I can't comment on it. It was just an entertaining coincidence that I ran into the author while standing in a TSA screening line. He happened to mention PC and board gaming while on his phone and I struck up a conversation when his call was done. Same guy also hosts a fairly large board gaming convention in the St. Louis area.
>>
>>51548225
If you can do it, you sir, will be the 'Master of your own domain'. :)
>>
File: chop.jpg (506KB, 1449x1200px) Image search: [Google]
chop.jpg
506KB, 1449x1200px
>>51547612
>>51547638
>>51547691
I think I understand now, but I think its a dumb complaint. If I wanted to be immersed in a story, id watch a movie or read a book, where narrative structure is the main device used to push the plpt and immersion. I play games because the mechanics are good and the game is balanced and the game encourages interesting social interaction.

Its like all this shitty "walking simulator" story video games. They are never close to being as good as the best films, because they shirk their gameplay in favor of narrative, which makes the whole experience a mess and unsatisfying in my opinion.
>>
>>51549355
then obviously you dont like thematic games
>>
>>51547031
>>51547065
>>51547488
Good to know; finding room for all these Z-Man and Plaid hat games is a pain.

On that note, how's Merchants and Marauders?
>>
>>51549355
Fair enough, lots of people just want tight mechanics and don't care about theme. The very best games though have tight mechanics tied to a theme that is immersive; sadly there's not nearly as many as there are games that excel in one but not the other.
>>
>>51549469
Can you give me some examples of games that do both really well? Just curious
>>
is arkham horror considered a well themed game
>>
>>51549449
Merchants and Marauders is great. It takes a little longer than i'd like but I enjoy it 2 player. I think 3 is the sweet spot if everybody knows what they're doing so it won't be drawn out. It gives a lot of freedom about how you want to win the game.
>>
>>51549523
I think the Wings of Glory/X-wing/Attack Wing system does a very good job of simulating aerial combat. Twilight Struggle is really good mechanically, and feels a lot like retelling Cold War history (at least the part I was alive for feels a lot like in the game). 1st & Goal, while not being heavy and having a good bit of luck involved, always feels like real football games, but then again that matches the real life analogue.
>>
>>51549630
Twilight Struggle is a really good example. It would actually be hard to reskin as something else and still be as impactful. I am beginning to see the light.
>>
>>51549651
I would say a lot of GMT games do a good job of this, because they tend to be very tight mechanically, so it's just matching the underlying game with a good theme for it. Thunder Alley does a pretty good job of putting NASCAR in a box.
>>
>>51544520
Not really, one of the cards specifically based how many points it's worth on how much Madness you have, and therefore an intrinsic part of its strategy is staying exactly mad enough to get cash, without going over and dying. And you need to keep that card in to have the right cardcount.
>>
>>51543273
Gimme a hatchet job on Scythe
>>
>>51550053
Gorgeous art, some combat lovers say it's more euro than fightin game. Expect Stonemaier to put out an expansion, then reissue, then essential edition, then expansion essential edition, because fuck doing it right the first time.

also fresh bread
>>51550424
>>51550424
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.