[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 41

File: fucking hacans general.jpg (578KB, 1085x970px) Image search: [Google]
fucking hacans general.jpg
578KB, 1085x970px
Last thread:
>>51510657

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

No clever questions tonight, just talk about what you're playing, buying, pnp'ing, etc.
>>
Just started a new campaing in Kingdom Death. We hunted a gorm for our first hunt, and killed him on his death blow card. We are going back for more, trying to make that sick nasty Riot Mace by LY 3
>>
>>51549582
Thanks! That's good to know.
>>
>>51550480
kingdom death seems like such a dope game especially since i was roleplaying and dungeon crawling before board games took over my free time
but man that fucking price tag
>>
>>51550582
That's my real issue with it.
It's probably a good game.
But it's probably not a $400 good game unless you're really into the minis.
>>
>>51550582
>>51550657
It is a hefty price tag for sure, but i've gotten my moneys worth of entertainment from it over the last year or two. I was lucky that my friend is a mini fag, and i'm a gameplay fag, so we split alot of the cost.
>>
>>51550424

That Tash-Kalar thingamabob sounds like a pretty sweet game, does anyone have any experience with it?
>>
Why doesn't this board have extended bump limits like /vg/
>>
>>51550756
Because it's not a dedicated general board.
Too bad it's mostly just generals and shitposting anyway.
>>
>>51550724
I like it. It's a solid 2 player game and has a lot of replay-ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOfjtQ4VcCM
>>
>>51543273
But kickstarter gave me Baseball Highlights 2045 and Stockpile.
>>
Might as well post it here.
I'm thinking about a game that plays a little like Sentinels of the Multiverse, with a player-controlled big bad and a potential hidden traitor, with deck building elements... Magical Girl themed.

The game would be divided into night adventures and days. During night magical girls assume their powered identities and go on adventures played through adventure decks. Each deck has a win or lose condition for both the girls and the villain player.

During days players can upgrade their decks and rack up bonuses preparing for the next night.

Certain deck cards and day cards can only be used by acquiring the same sort of resource the villain uses, but that increases the chance that particular player will be turned into a traitor. I was thinking of handling this through loyalty cards like in BSG: loyal players get handed one each at start, with a small chance of a single one being a traitor card, then get handed more of them as they build up the bad (tentatively called Void) resource. If at least one amoing your loyalty cards is the traitor one, you are the traitor. I was thinking for Void cards to do more damage than normal, do weird unique effects and have the unique ability to thindeck.

Every player, including the villain, has to perform some sort of manipulation on the day deck from which opportunities and penalties are drawn at teh start of each day. Of course eveyrthing done in this phase has to be hidden from other players, so this is the opportunity for a hidden traitor to fuck things up (thisand a subtly less than spectacular performance during night adventures)

Thoughts?
>>
File: image.png (316KB, 440x325px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
316KB, 440x325px
Doing a kinda magical girl school setting I heard floating around this board a few months but I gotta ask something. How do I even dm school interaction? On top of that I want to bully my players properly. Just be a real bitch of an asshole. But I could use some ideas for that as well cause otherwise I'd probably just call them faggots all day, which wouldn't be wrong but I'm kinda the king faggot in all this and that would be bad form.
>>
>>51554935
I think you should read Monster Hearts for inspiration.
>>
Why don't any of the cool complex board games have online versions?
>>
>>51550657
>But it's probably not a $400 good game
It's not even a $200 good game. It's about a 7 on BGG from my group's perspective. The components are great. The ideas for combat are rad af. The biggest problem with the game is the lack of balance. I don't know that the reprint solved any of the rulebook's issues such as frequent typos and poor quality control over the roll tables. I ran the probabilities on some of the benign stuff and it's just...astronomical. Like they definitely look unintentional in many instances. Using the nested rolls everywhere really killed the fun for my group. It would've been worth maybe $60 and they could've cut out the minis for that, then we could go in-depth to houserule all the awful nested dice systems. The hardest of which would be the double roll to hit on combat (W40k style but with like a fraction of the dice). Nah, not fixing a $200 game that deeply.
>>
>>51550424
>No clever questions tonight, just talk about what you're playing, buying, pnp'ing, etc.
Busy being too flooded with ennui about games to play them. And haven't started my new job yet so I can't buy.

It's great. Depression is a helluva drug.
>>
>>51550657
I spent almost double each that on all the Descent and Arkham Horror expansions
>>
>>51555715
Only have Nerekhall and Labyrinth. What are the best minor expansions to grab?
>>
>>51556031
Honestly, grab them all if you like collecting heroes and monsters. When played as mini-campaigns they are fun if you'd like a Descent-like experience played over a couple of evenings, but the fact that the last scenario happens right at the start of Act II when the players haven't had opportunities to get decent gear will usually screw the heroes badly.
The rumor cards are just inane bullshit. They give a lot, and I mean a lot, of income to the heroes iwth no real consequences for willingly throwing them to get all search tokens they possibly can. As if a 4-heroes game wasn't stacked enough agaisnt the OL... I suppose you could try them for a 3- or 2- heroes campaign though.
>>
>>51556069
On the note of collecting monsters: the dragonmen (forgot their exact name) group from Lair of the Wyrm is probably the best monster group to date outside of the conversion kits and from the same box Quellen is a great hero and the Geomancer a great mage class (summoning three mobile figures treated as impassable terrain for monsters, yes please)
>>
>>51556069
We've been using the android app and it breathed new life back into the game. Kept us from having to swap wholesale to Mansions of Madness 2e and keep Descent in the collection. This eliminates the OL player and becomes an ACTUAL FUCKING DUNGEON CRAWLER.
>>
Hero Realms or Star Realms?
>>
>>51556146
Star Realms for the tightest most skill building gameplay in the most compact setup.

Hero Realms for asymmetrical fun.
>>
>>51556108
If you like it as a co-op game so much, there is the automated overlord system someone posted here a while ago, did you try it out?

I know its not as smooth as the app, but give it a shot.
>>
>>51556196
Post it and I'll definitely go for it. I spent a week doing a hardcore conversion of the entire game system into an actual RPG. My group had an absolute blast. This was after I did a ton of hyper-customized and story-driven maps that gave a feeling of roleplaying and dungeon delving with each map having a "fog of war" plus multiple things to investigate, do tasks, and red herrings.
>>
>>51556211
Just google it
RedJak's Automated Overlord
>>
is there a social deduction game based off The Thing?
I feel like that would be a good ip to use for that type of game
>>
>>51556488
There is a werewolf variant.
>>
File: high frontier.png (2MB, 3600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
high frontier.png
2MB, 3600x2400px
>The final payment is made, the final sample approved, the shipping information provided, and after lots of haranguing we have arrival dates to the US from the importer of High Frontier!

>Arrival to US port: February 8
>Arrival to our fulfilment house in Nashville: February 18
>Shipping to you: immediately thereafter!

Are you ready? Did you back it? I can't wait!
>>
File: asdasd.jpg (28KB, 409x366px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.jpg
28KB, 409x366px
>>51557646
MY EYES!! GOD WHY!!
>>
>>51556488
Panic Station, I believe.
>>
File: high frontier2.jpg (817KB, 1372x1072px) Image search: [Google]
high frontier2.jpg
817KB, 1372x1072px
>>51557699
Feast your eyes on this!

AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
>>
File: 673567567.png (751KB, 1224x964px) Image search: [Google]
673567567.png
751KB, 1224x964px
>>51557747
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51557646
is this the board game version of aurora 4x
>>
>>51556488
Dark Moon could very easily be reskinned as 'The Thing' where players attempt to determine who's no longer human and who still is.
>>
>>51558062
I think a fun mechanic would be one that players can infect each other with "the thing". So it's no longer only hidden traitor but hidden traitor with elimination.
>>
>>51558229
Yeah, STEEV mentioned panic station which I think does that.
>>
>>51554562
No one?
>>
>>51554562
For once I don't think deckbuilding would fit this kind of game, due to how the genre fundamentally works. Challenging an adventure deck would feel better if players felt in control, and deckbuilding with how your deck can fatten up quickly and giving you situational or useless cards can get pretty annoying. It could still work, like if all cards had different night and day effects, or if they have primary and secondary effects, but it would probably still be overshadowed by the skeleton of Dominion's remains.

I would propose a drafting system, as it would have more interaction with other players due to how it works, and perhaps foster teamwork, as you could intentionally let a player have good cards. It would be fitting with the concept of most magical girl shows.
>>
>>51558964
You might also try the /gdg/ (game design general) thread.
>>
>>51558968
As I had in mind, the deck would not be used during the day at all
A drafting system would work, but the problem of fattening the deck would remain since it would still add cards to the decks
But you are right, usually deckbuilders who are not Dominion fail at, well, not being Dominion...
>>
>>51559186
I didn't know there was one, sorry
>>
>>51559316
Nah, the idea is to soft reset your deck between rounds. That way you could keep some cards, but mostly be forced to keep to a certain amount. Here's what I thought of:

First you will draft maybe 10 cards. Then, you first take 6 cards which you want, and then pick through a set of cards that represent the type of magical girl you are. Pick up to 5 (maybe less) from that set, thin down to a total of 10 cards, and that makes up your deck for the night. Once you get through a night, you can keep maybe 3 - 4 cards from that deck (excluding the magical girl cards), which you will still need to later thin down to 10 cards. The cards themselves could be equipment that you immediately place on the table instead of adding to your deck, or cards you could play from hand, maybe even bad stuff like monster encounters.

The 4 remaining cards will be given away; one into the night deck to make it harder or easier, one a mostly positive deck (maybe call it the friendship deck) that could maybe have nasty stuff, and one to each of the players to your immediate left or right to add into their own deck (in addition to the 10 cards) without them seeing it. Here's where the traitor can do some of their evil things.

The end game and win conditions are up to you, but the adventure deck itself would probably be partially revealed during drafting so that players can plan around it, and would be shuffled together with whatever cards the players have added in.
>>
>>51559472
Kinda different from what I had in mind, but I like it. It seems it wouldn't even need a player-controlled evil deck after all.
>>
>>51559643
Oh, I completely missed that you wanted a villain player. Perhaps have a certain value on every card, and the villain drafts together with the rest, but instead of making a deck they would use the values to buy cards from an "evil" deck which would affect the adventure somehow, or add more cards to the adventure deck. That way you could keep adventure decks modular too. Not sure how to do corruption with traitors though.
>>
>>51559333
No worries, I didn't mean that your post was off topic here. I simply wanted you to know you might get more / better feedback there. :)
>>
30% off Armello on Steam - is it worth it?
>>
File: pic1974056.jpg (957KB, 1964x1274px) Image search: [Google]
pic1974056.jpg
957KB, 1964x1274px
Why people hate the artwork? I think they truly captured the 90s Master of Orion look and feel perfectly
>>
>>51562333
I can't say that I've seen anyone here ever bitch about the artwork for Eclipse. Try better bait.
>>
>>51562396

Not baiting, just seen people argue about it around the web, didnt mean that it particularly happens here
>>
>>51555618
With even reasonable equipment, you'll generally be hitting on at least a 4 and wounding on twos on many monsters. The nesting dice issue comes up far less than you would think in actual gameplay.
>>
>>51562561
I don't even like that game and will freely admit that it's art it perfectly fine. Certainly better than Exodus, which I like better for the same slot.

Still nowhere near as good as TI3 art though.
>>
Posting in case anyone needs it
>>
>>51557646
>>51557747
Someone get this man a graphic designer, STAT.
>>
>>51557777
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/KuckMosq.html
>>
games i'm thinking about buying:

kemet
hive
neuroshima hex 3.0
citadels new edition
probably carcasonne and pandemic when i stumble upon them

but mostly kemet

there.
>>
oh and i'd buy that fucking new dune game if it used proper imagery and not antropomophic ffg universe. why isn't there a great giger dune game with proper figurines, no dice rolling, etc etc

fuck it let it come with an actual sand box and one player is bene geserit who plants the worm beforehand and there is a lure option and whoever finds the worm's tail gets to ride it other gets devoured
>>
>>51568045
>why isn't there a great giger dune game with proper figurines, no dice rolling, etc etc
Because the herbert estate wanted literally a million dollars for the license.
>>
>>51568045
>no dice rolling
I don't remember any dice in Rex.
>>
>>51568121
I pray for Brian Herbert to die every day so that someone competent might take over and put an end to the shitty books and give the license out for games again.
>>
>>51568721
>69
>lots of money
He'll be around for another two decades, at least.
>>
I really want to start playing star wars destiny but I hate that it's a CCG
>>
>>51570009
Then don't. It's a super shallow game anyways.

If you wait long enough, there will be common/uncommon lots for sale like there is for magic.
>>
File: the shared dream.jpg (124KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
the shared dream.jpg
124KB, 1024x576px
Thoughts on this? Sounds like a fun co-op mini game with a neat aesthetic and theme, which hits all my markers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/odampublishing/the-shared-dream-0
>>
Hey /bgg/ I'm looking for a good car game, is Formula D any good? What do you recommend?
>>
>>51570307
Formula D is probably the best of it, if you don't mind dice rolling. There's that one dexterity racing game and a deckbuilding(?) racing game too, can't remember the name of either.
>>
I asked this in the Star Wars thread awhile back but never got a response

What's the general consensus on Star Wars Imperial Assault? I keep seeing it and all those expansion packs at my LGS and it looks like it would be fun. Kind of want to pick it up just to paint minis. Does it have a lot in the way of replayability?
>>
>>51570849
It's apparently an improvement over Descent, with character specific side quests and the accuracy mechanic changed. If you can't find a villain player there's also skirmish mode, so there's that. Probably worth it if you like Star Wars and like the minis.
>>
>>51570918
As a guy who is contemplating between this and Descent, seeing as I never saw starwars, its a big turn off for me, which kinda sucks since it looks pretty neat.

I guess I'll just get Descent.
>>
>>51571035
Yeah, Descent is probably the way to go if you're looking for a theme-neutral game. Plus it has more variations what with being playable with an Overlord, without an Overlord, and randomized maps thanks to the app. Not sure if it has skirmish, I don't think it does.
>>
>>51570307
The best part of Formula D is when you crash and therefor have to stop playing it.
Both AEG's Automobiles and GMT's Thunder Alley are so superior that one wonders why Formula D hasn't yet been swept into the furnace of history.
>>
>>51571764

Neither really scratch the "racing" itch imho.
Thunder Alley in particular is very abstracted.

Formula D is a fine game really, It's not a deep experience, but not all games have to be.
>>
>>51572445
>Neither really scratch the "racing" itch imho.
I don't think anything does, really.
>>
Has anyone played the game 'Darkness comes rattling?'
>>
>>51571035
Don't forget Doom is on the same system if you don't like Star Wars.
>>
>>51570069
Looks cool but
>Kickstarter exclusives
:/
>>
File: quodd.jpg (194KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
quodd.jpg
194KB, 680x680px
Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_20170205_143436958.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170205_143436958.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Looking for games that shine at 2p count.
Are targi and castle of burgundy good choices? Other recommendations?
>>
>>51573709
7 Wonders Duel
>>
>>51573709
Neuroshima: Hex
BattleCon
War of the Ring
Twilight Struggle
>>
>>51570009
Watch the videos Chaz did about his problems with it, and then watch the Jason/Tom autism video comparing it with Dice Masters. You'll never want to look at it again

>>51570307
Formula D tends to play too long and is ok but a bit lucky. Thunder Alley is the gold standard of racing simulators, but you really don't want to play more than 3-4 players with it or it'll be longer and boring. Automobiles by AEG is also really solid. Or just go dexterity and get Pitchcar or scour the interwebz for a rare copy of Roadzters.
>>
>>51573709
Pixel Tactics
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
>>
>>51572983
Doom has a bunch of the guts chopped out compared to Descent and IA, it's so far simplified that I don't really think I can call it the same system.
But I do like it pretty well so far.
>>
>>51573709
Castles of Burgundy is fun at 2 players. You might also look at:

Blokus
Carcassonne
Lost Legacy (card games series - small and portable)
Splendor
Stone Age
The Grizzled
Ticket To Ride

See also: >>51563812
>>
>>51575015
Forgot to add...

Android: Netrunner (deck builder - very solid 2 player game)
Spector Ops (Sci-fi Hide & Seek board game style.)
>>
>>51574279

>tfw I found 3 copies of roadzters for extra cheap and I can do glorious 12 player races on super long tracks.

Takes forever to play but fuck me, we have a blast everytime.
>>
File: 1412112573877.jpg (170KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1412112573877.jpg
170KB, 442x650px
>>51575810
I hate you so much, it's just not fair
>>
>>51573709
star realms
>>
>>51575200
>Netrunner
>Deckbuilder
>Specter Ops
>Hide n Seek

I was going to yell at you but I think you just don't know the terminology. Netrunner is a constructed deck card game. Dominion is a deck builder.

We call things like Specter Ops "Hidden Movement" games.
>>
>>51576687
You are correct - I misspoke about Netrunner it is indeed a 'constructed deck' game. As for 'Spector Ops', I was attempting to explain it in terms more easily comprehensible to someone that sounded new to board gaming.
>>
File: carcassonne kinda I guess.gif (5MB, 680x693px) Image search: [Google]
carcassonne kinda I guess.gif
5MB, 680x693px
>>51575015
>>51575200
I've been looking at the delve kickstarter, and I'm still on the fence about it being a fun (and good for 2 player) take of Carcassonne.
>>
>>51550424
That still in shrink copy of Nations triggers my inner autism. It's one of the best fucking games I've played, what the fuck are you doing OP.
>>
File: silverrobert_User Collection.png (6MB, 1801x2902px) Image search: [Google]
silverrobert_User Collection.png
6MB, 1801x2902px
Anybody else wanna share their autismo with us?
>>
>>51577750
i might be retarded. how do i export my collection as image instead of csv?
>>
>>51578206
Just use a browser plugin to take a full page screenshot if it's too big to just prntscrn, then crop.
>>
>>51578206
I just view it like this on BGG and take a screenshot of the page.
>>
File: collection.png (4MB, 1776x2016px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
4MB, 1776x2016px
>>51578240
>>51578232

that's way better then using paint and stitching 3 screens together.
>>
>>51578320
Oh, you're one of these people who give their money to GW to support bad business practices and legal harassment.
>>
>>51578357
>implying

i just buy their base game and sell off the mini's, then buy minis that look better from fantasy football company's
>>
>>51578388
That's the boardgame equivalent of smoking but not inhaling.
>>
>>51579439
Comparing the wonderfullness that is a good cigar with the skidmark that is GW.
>>
>>51563812
What is the difference between

>King of New York vs King of Tokyo
>Risk vs Star Wars Risk
>Eldritch Horror vs Arkham Horror
>>
>>51579515
>Added ruleset to make it less filler and more gamery
>Risk vs Queen's Gambit (it's not Risk, just poorly labelled)
>Length of gameplay, amount of expansions, Eldritch streamlined Arkham
>>
>>51577750
you really like codenames, huh?
>>
>>51579572
It's the only thing my co-workers want to play. By now, I hate the game.
>>
>>51579504
>implying one should inhale cigar smoke
someday you'll smoke something better than a swisher, young lady
>>
>>51579566
>poorly labeled
it was labeled fantastically assuming they wanted to sell the general public
>>
What are some /bgg/ aproved companies and which ones do not? maybe we could set up a list of good and bad developers/distribuitors don't you think?
>>
>tfw trying to get my friends into board games like Keyflower and Terra Mystica but all they want to play are games like Risk and fuckin Monopoly
>>
>>51580486
hey at least isn't Munchkin
>>
>>51575200
I'd like to comment about Spector Ops with just two players. It can be fun but if one of you is much more calculating, or knows more about the different powers and equipment in the game, then you'll probably be winning quite a lot (and without much challenge as well)
>>
>>51580383
I heard Queen Games are fucking assholes.
>>
>>51580521
They love Munchkin, too...
>>
>>51580610
They're not great, but the biggest problem I've encountered is their use of kikestarter purely as a pre-order system.
>>
>>51580647
Did you know that they had a huge sale in December just after their kikestarter with the same games?
I bought Fresco BB, Chicago Express and Thebes for $50.
>>
>>51580611

oh boy, im not envying you buddy
>>
>>51580611
go print out secret hitler
>>
>>51580611
Oh man lucky you
>>
>>51580611
You ain't gonna convince them with promises of great gameplay and well designed mechanics, so instead bait them with theme. Do they like The Walking Dead? Do they think Zombies and post-apocalyptical survival are cool? Try Dead of Winter.
>>
>>51578206
If you're using Firefox - open up your BGG page showing your collection and do the following:

Full Page Screen Shot

Using Firefox? Press Shift+F2. Type in "screenshot --fullpage" without quotes. Hit enter. Voila.

Useful for capturing your entire BGG collection in one shot.

You'll want to use a tool like paint to trim off all the extra stuff, but it's fairly straight forward.
>>
>>51580527
Fortunately for me, my group doesn't have a lot of issue with any of the players doing that to the detriment of the game / everyone else's enjoyment.

I just got done playing 4 games of Carc - three players each game. I won the first round, but the same other player won the next 3 rounds - good conservative strategy and lots of monasteries. I couldn't complete a damn farm field to save my life... Sigh. It was fun. :)
>>
File: 436523455.jpg (253KB, 906x304px) Image search: [Google]
436523455.jpg
253KB, 906x304px
Alright guys, listen up. I want a long, heavy, complex game that can play 5 and has us sit at the table for at least 2 hours. You know, something really grand and deep that's gonna eat up our entire evening/night.

Which game from pic related should I go for? Or is there something else you'd rather recommend?
>>
>>51583007
I've always wanted to get TM if that helps I doubt it does
>>
>>51583007
Some of my friends have been really impressed with FCM. I'll also throw out Exodus as a more grand feeling alternative to Eclipse, but do get the expansion.
>>
>>51583007
Argent: The Consortium
>>
>>51583007
Scythe
>>
>>51583007
I like Terra Mystica, but I'd also say 'FCM' as well. I like Eclipse - but STEEV's correct - Exodus with the Edge of Extinction expansion is a deeper game.

And just to muddy the waters a bit - have you looked at Archipelago? It's a great game with variable hidden victory conditions and can easily fill an evening with wheeling, dealing, and the occasional betrayal. And then there's the natives getting restless...
>>
File: barony.jpg (613KB, 1720x1776px) Image search: [Google]
barony.jpg
613KB, 1720x1776px
what's /bgg/'s thoughts on Barony?
>>
>>51586651
I zoom in on the box and first thing I notice is the female knight, followed by the blacksmith who's apparently forging a iron dildo...

<Oh Lordy! Here we go.jpeg>
>>
File: IMG_5104.jpg (710KB, 887x687px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5104.jpg
710KB, 887x687px
I posted this in WIP, but anyone else paint their miniatures for "regular" board games? I think it lifts the spirit of the game, and I always hated they went from painted cardboard prints, to unpainted models.
>>
>>51586844
I once painted all the minis in Mice and Mystics. Then I found out the game is shit and I sold it away and never painted another game.
>>
>>51586844
Usually boardgames are self contained so all the bits go back in the box at the end. Nowadays some games have fancy inserts, but for the most part you just chuck them all in a bag and pack it away. It basically just means your paintjobs have a high chance be damaged as the box gets jostled.
If the game has some really unique pieces I might though. For example I painted my Super Dungeon Explore stuff with my neice and that was fun.
But for a game with a pack of different coloured plastic whatevers that are all the same (like TI3) I don't feel the need.
>>
>>51586844
I'm planning on painting my KDM, hopefully it will arrive before the end of the world.
>>
>>51555618
To demand that a game with several times the content that Arkham Horror has to be priced the same as it is silly.

The high price is from everything except the plastic models. The box weighs 17 pounds, and that's just core game content.
>>
>>51580611
>>51580486
>>51579788
I also came to the realization that my friends are "normies" when it comes to boardgames.
They only like playing super light stuff like King of Tokyo, Resistance, Codenames.

They do enjoy the occasional "heavy" game, but when I pulled out Kemet for the first time, it was deemed as a fun but super heavy game since "you gotta think".

Think is I am kind of dependent on them, so I guess its time to tone down the heavy games and look for more fun casual stuff I'd like.
>>
>>51584510
>>51585356
Not that guy but is there a reason Exodus is rated so much lower than Eclipse on BGG?
>>
>>51586844
Yup, painted my Scythe, SDE-FK and Descent 2 models. Next up is Anachrony when that arrives.

>>51586964
Use a decent varnish spray. Unless you've got metal points rolling around in the box it'll do the job.
>>
>>51586844

Yeah, painted my Heroquest, Robo-Rally, Camp Grizzly, Warhammer Quest and I have a lifelong engagement to paint up Shadows of Brimstone.
>>
>>51588357
Fewer ratings means it's way lower. Also the first edition was supposedly awful so the old reviews drag the game down.
>>
Its a shame how the expansion is so bad it ruins such a great game. My group doesn't enjoy playing it anymore.

Can anyone suggest a new 4~ player hidden betrayal game? I was thinking Shadows over Camelot
>>
>>51589043
Dark Moon is BSG compressed.
>>
>>51583007
Dominant species isn't particularly grand, since you're mostly just placing cubes to represent species living in a given portion of Earth. However, if you can get into it, you'll find an incredibly complex game where the effects of decisions you made 10 minutes into the game can be felt as you enter endgame. That said, if you're looking for stuff like a nice flavor/theme to go along with it, or you want to move units around that have individual stats, you might want to try something else. It's a great heavy game, but it won't scratch the same itch that, say, TI3 will.
>>
>>51589043
Dead of Winter
>>
>>51589117
>>51589043
Should also mention I already own Dead of Winter, Deception, Bang, Resistance, ONUW, Coup, and Shadow Hunters.
>>
>>51589043
>such a great game
Hahahahahaha. No.
>>
>>51583007
For 5 players in terms of time I'd rate the games as:

StarCraft (4.5 - I really like it for a team game, though)
Dominant Species (3/4)
Fury of Dracula (3/4)
Terra Mystica (3.5)
Chaos in the Old World (3)
Lord of Xidit (3)

The number is an subjective fun factor.
I could also drop in Imperial Settlers between Terra Mystica and Fury of Dracula with a fun factor of 3-4 but it really shouldn't be played at 5 due to the amount of downtime (and you'll need an expansion too)
>>
>>51586844
I'd really want to paint the minis of some of the games I have like StarCraft, Last Night on Earth and Kemet. Now I'm getting War of the Ring and the urge to pain is even bigger.

On the other hand I lack the skills to paint, don't have much free time as it is and there's a big cost to getting the supplies (though I heard that getting craft store acrylic paints for everything but metallic colors gets the costs down significantly).
>>
>>51558229
>>51558659
That's indeed exactly what Panic Station does. The game's a bit clunky and it requires a solid dose of poker faces but when it works it's hilarious
>still remember that 6 players game where one guy didn't realize he was the only human left since like two turns and kept on going like he had a chance but it was only because he stayed somehow isolated. One of the most superb disappointment face of my gaming experience when he finally understood (waaay too late).
>>
>>51583007
>>51583330
Terra Mystica is pretty much exactly that. It's decently complex (not too overwhelming but it certainly makes you plan your stuff 1h ahead). At 5 it should be 2h30 at least. There's nothing random after the set-up (but the shenanigans of your opponents) so it's great for strategy building. Multiple original factions means that you can play several games without it looking the same (for you and how you play at least). Lots of decent components, the board isn't flashy but it's good.
It's just a great great game and it's good at 3-5 too (plus it's slightly different for each number, 3 to 4 especially).
>>
>>51589712
>>51583007
I did a summary of Terra Mystica two threads ago
>>51488362
>>
>>51585331
kek get that garbage out of here mate.
>>
>>51590260
It's not what the hype made it out to be but it's certainly one of the more fun tableau-builders I've played.
>>
>>51590270
I was very disappointed but I guess it's my own fault since me expectations were way off. I expected something along the lines of Eclipse with a different theme and setting. I wanted something a bit more combat centric and Scythe just didn't deliver at all on that front.
>>
>>51585331

Is this the biggest style over substance game there is?
>>
>>51590337
Nope, it's a good game.
>>
>>51590337
What about:

Blood Rage
T.I.M.E Stories
Mechs vs Minions
Kingdom Death: Monster
Santorini
Mice and Mystics
>>
File: X5iLQXC.jpg (199KB, 1186x810px) Image search: [Google]
X5iLQXC.jpg
199KB, 1186x810px
>>51590260
>>51590337
Mates, its an awesome game, coming from a guy whose collection in 85% mid-heavy euros. Id be willing to wager that 99% of the people who say its shit are either
A. Never played it
B: Hate it for its popularity
C:Are really fucking autistic and hate it for not having enough combat despite the fucking game being built around a mix of combat and worker placement (Scythe is a tool of war and harvest)

Also, having combat be more of a threat than an actual mechanic itself is genius in my opinion and really unique.
>>
>>51590597
Is the expansion worth it?
>>
>>51590436
>T.I.M.E Stories
>Mice and Mystics
I haven't played the others but these two are definitely empty overrated garbage, especially Time Stories
>>
>>51591011
For quite some time I wanted to get mice and mystics but the hate it gets on this general havr swayed me otherwhise.

I got Dead of winter and in the last game alone I lost three survivors to the exposition roll, its good you can avoid the die by using some cards and abilities but it caj get ridoculous.
>>
>>51591011
would you care to explain how TIME stories is bad?
>>
>>51591369
You just have to sacrifice a survivor... Or be like me and lose all of mine in the early game to a bit wound. (I like the fact that gambling with lives can be a risky venture in DoW.)
>>
>>51591369
I often fidn that in Dad of Winter it's useful to move as little as possible and have the guy in the police station hand out weapons to everyone. Park yourself at a location and never move until you have cleared out that deck, by that time you should have fuel to move again.
Also, barricade every turn.
This should limit the impact badluck can have on your game.
As for Mice and Mystics: it''s lacking as a tactical boardgame and isn't a dungeon crawler at all, but if you are into style and narrative boardgaming it's your game. Just don't expect to ever do anything more complicated than "I move then use a skill on that bad guy"
>>
>>51591383
The premise of TIME Stories is that you play through an adventure deck that should play like a CYOA: every room/location is up to six cards lined up on the table to form a picture, with every card representing part of the location; your characters can move to a card to investigate that section, which gives you access to the back of the card with text and further game instructions like where you cna go explore next or a trial you have to pass.
The good thing is that hints as to the solution of the game are both in the front and the back of the card. Visual details are as important as what the text tells you to do. This is an exceptionally good aspect of the game in my opinion.
You have a limited number of turns in which to reach a resolution for hte adventure, after which you can try again from the start, carrying with you knowledge you acquired from previous playthrough.

Got all that?

The game, or at least the adventure in the base game, is extremely bad in that you are just hitting cards randomly, getting next to none sensible hints and a lot of false hints that you have no way of knowing will lead you to dead ends. You are basically stumbling in the dark until you find stuff you might somehow work with, without even knowing what you have to work for because in the story no one cared enough to inform your characters depsite sending them on the same mission multiple times. I admit this might be just the base adventure and the expansions might be better, but being by the same author I won't give it the benefit of doubt.

Also, if you consider a "game" each time you are forced to restart then you mgiht get anywhere from 4 to 10 games from each single adventure, of which exactly one will be a win. If you consider a "game" the path from starting it to winning? Zero replayability for the base game and each expansion. This game muddles what the definition of a "single game" is, perhaps willingly, so that's up to you.
>>
File: componenti[1].jpg (63KB, 640x393px) Image search: [Google]
componenti[1].jpg
63KB, 640x393px
>>51550424
Since OP's picture features Hanabi I'd like to recommend the card game Drecksau.

Your goal is to make all of your clean pigs dirty.
You do this by playing the "mud" card and shouting "Drecksau" (filthy swine)
The other players try to keep you from dirtying your pigs with "cleaning" cards such as having the farmer scrub your pig or making it rain. You have options to protect your dirty pigs against the foul actions your opponents (e.g. build a stable and protect it from rain).

It's a beer and bretzels game and everyone can learn how to play in a matter of minutes.
>>
>>51591413
To tell you the truth, Ive only played a couple of games that have more then one optimal moves at a time.
>>
>>51591512
I usually go for crunchier and more analytical stuff than DoW, but I really like the atmosphere, the variance Crossroad cards bring and the social deduction aspect of it all.
>>
File: cry havoc.jpg (14KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
cry havoc.jpg
14KB, 246x246px
What are your thoughts on this now that the dust has settled?
>>
>>51591508
Thanks, never heard of that one before. The suggestion is appreciated.
>>
File: party-games.png (263KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
party-games.png
263KB, 600x400px
>>51550424
need your advice

have a fairly large gaming group with around 7-8 players on the regular. so far we have bought 5 board games (pic related) and would like to get more.

what games would you recommend for such a large group? note that we don't mind house-ruling the game to add more players
>>
>>51591719
Werewolf
>>
>>51591496
I see, being honest I was kind of interested on TIME but as you point out the same little details I've been thinking of, this is like the legacy games. once you run out all the options there's nothing else to do and TIME's weakpoint is the lack of replayability, is like (and correct me if I'm wrong), a VN or the Ace Attonery games from the DS. you find the end and from there nothing else.
>>
>>51591719
Secret Hitler
Codenames
Spyfall
6 nimmt! (also known as Category 5)
Captain Sonar
Dixit Odyssey
>>
>>51591775
Not having played any VN or Ace Attorney I can't really say anything about that
I'll say this about legacy games though: you can still play them after putting them away, since each session starts with setting up for a fresh game you could just play the last recorded board state as a self-contained boardgame over and over again.
With TIME once you know the story that's it, nothing else really to be done as you pointed out. Getting there might take you hours and hours of playing, jsut not hours and hours of having fun, in my opinion.
But instead of taking my word for granted you should search around for expansion adventures reviews, see if they managed to fix any of those weak points.
>>
>>51591858
understood. thanks for the insight.
>>
>>51591719
> Insane tier
Game of Thrones (expansions + house rules - google people's
Forbidden Stars with the fan made expansion
Diplomacy

> Not sure if insane
Kemet - you'll need to print a new map for the 5-8 player count, add figures and player boards.

Magic the gathering
1) have two active players
2) can only attack to the right
3) can target spells to the left and right
4) global enchantments have a range of one player to the left and right
or some emperor variant or two headed giant variant (4 headed giant or teams of two headed giants)

> Sane tier
Flick em Up
Codenames
Captain Sonar
Last Night on Earth (with expansions and house rules)
>>
>>51591672
Complete garbage.
>>
>>51591672
I really like the combat system that involves more choices than die-rolling. It lets you accomplish something concrete even in a losing battle. I see Cry Havoc as filling the same niche as Kemet, as a dudes-on-a-map game that's more on the Euro side.

I've only played it a couple of times (and only with two players) so I haven't noticed any of the balance issues that some people have claimed. Also, it seems a bit on the expensive side, but maybe it's worth it for the quality of the components. (I've only played it online)

I do wish the rulebook was clearer on the fact that terrain tactics cards go into your own discard pile to get shuffled back into your deck. I didn't figure that out until I read the FAQ.
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (12KB, 246x179px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.jpg
12KB, 246x179px
This looks like a really cool skirmish game and I'm considering going for a late pledge. What do you guys think? Any pros or cons?
>>
>>51591779
thanks for these, looked into a few of the games and right now and wanted to know your opinion on which is better of the two?

>spyfall
>codenames
>>
anyone sold large portions of their collection?

thinking of selling mine for more /k/ stuff

how did you go about pricing?
>>
>>51592169
If you are looking for something in the same family as Memoir 44/BattleLore/Battle Cry go for it.
>>
>>51592255
>how did you go about pricing?
Check ebay and then drop a couple bucks so it sells. Depending on the condition of course. If the box or components are damaged or components are missing then you gotta drop the price significantly.
>>
Question. any other game like Star Realms? I mean something outside of White Wizard games. a deck building/1v1 duel type of game
>>
>>51592169
I backed it during the campaign for two reasons.
1) I've been searching for a great arena style combat game for a while now and this is the first one that really clicked with me.
2) I think the combat mechanics are fantastic, especially the way they use dice and how you can manipulate the result.

The fact that it comes with well over a hundred different units and great looking minis made the decision that much more easy for me, even if it's a lot of money.
>>
File: 1416188809093.jpg (11KB, 292x219px) Image search: [Google]
1416188809093.jpg
11KB, 292x219px
>tfw want to get android netrunner but dont know if anyone would play with me
>>
>>51592494
I would but I live near of hueland.
>>
File: 1483841055705.jpg (10KB, 324x451px) Image search: [Google]
1483841055705.jpg
10KB, 324x451px
>>51592494
>Bought all of the first cycle as it was coming out because had friends who said they wanted to play it after enjoying the core box
>Only played one time since that
>Everyone would rather play other board games or RPGs

I'm almost at the point of just selling it.
>>
>>51592319
Ascension?
>>
>>51592705
Ascension isn't more about fighting the monsters and earn glory for that?
no I wanted to say that I'm looking for something like direct damage to the oponent, mess with their stuff or even mess with their hand. do you get me?
>>
>tfw no friends to play power grid with
>>
>>51591719

Dixit was already mentioned but is good.

Saboteur 1 & 2
Telestrations Party Pack (up to 12 players)
Funemployed
Murder in Hong Kong
Citadels is awesome and plays up to 7
Coup / Coup Rebellion
>>
>>51584510
Speaking of Exodus! Looks like NSKN is coming out with a 2nd expansion. Sweet!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nskngames/exodus-event-horizon?ct=t(2017_02_Event_Horizon_Kickstarter2_6_2017)

<inb4 ass-blasted over kike-starter.jpg>
>>
>>51592255
Not large portions but I've sold off bits, BGG marketplace is half decent, and if you price well with good soft reserves/BIN prices running an auction can clear a lot of your collection in minutes. Low enough BINs you can live with and there's 2-3 guys who seem to be in every auction buying as soon as you post.
>>
>>51591719
>8 players regular

>>51591779
print out captain sonar and go fucking ham. will this will be the age of your life you will look back on.
>>
>>51592832
>tfw no friends
>>
Tank games guys.

Not Tanks preferably.
>>
>>51592959
Seems a lot more threadbare than the last one for about the same asking price.
>>
>>51593612
>cue 500 replies of Ogre
Brother in law picked up Panzer Leader/Blitz for a song last Gencon, they seem to be pretty decent for stuff put out in the 70s.
>>
File: 1486202007220.jpg (72KB, 746x982px) Image search: [Google]
1486202007220.jpg
72KB, 746x982px
>>51592685
>bought like 4 different GMT games
>no-one wants to play them
>still want to get Spacecorp and Pericles
>>
File: pic3328621_lg.jpg (277KB, 1024x791px) Image search: [Google]
pic3328621_lg.jpg
277KB, 1024x791px
>>51593612
There's a cool looking game on GMT P500 called Tank Duel that I'm hoping will print soon. Look into that because it looks pretty neato
>>
>>51593977
>>51593722
Thanks guys. Nice Dubs.
>>
>>51591526
Oh, Im lovig the game, but sometimes that die seems to have a will of its own. And Raxxon is such a dangerous place but when you draw a really cool card is all worth it.
>>
>>51593612
>>51593722
>>51593722

OGRE! OGRE! OGRE! And SJG just came out with a new boxed set of the larger style chits and cardstock OGREs as well as releasing a new line of plastic minis to boot!
>>
>>51591526
I really do wish DoW's social deduction element was more interesting. Haven't gotten Long Dark to the table yet, but hopefully that, and maybe some houserules to force or encourage the traitor to be more active will help.

>>51591672
I'm mostly with >>51591994, I'm not really feeling the balance issues so far, I've won with everyone but the humans in the three four player games I've had - which might just mean my friends are ass at the game.If I had a serious gripe it would just be that the action system feels a little weird in comparison to the likes of Kemet. You get so few actions but each one is incredibly critical, and it makes strategies feel a little proscriptive, once you've made your first couple actions you feel fairly locked into a course for the rest of the game, which is usually a gripe I reserve for engine builder euros.

>>51592352
I do like the dice manipulation element, but it's too rich for my blood.

>>51592494
Can always just play on jinteki.net if you can tolerate the tryhards. But get the core set, see how that goes. If you can't get it to click with anyone you won't be out much cash, and if you do it's still good for a load of plays.
>>
>>51594301
im thinking about playing a few games on that site before buying anways so i can teach it to anyone that i wanna play irl
surprisingly theres a community in the same city as me so that'll be cool if i do get into it
>>
File: exodus.png (69KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
exodus.png
69KB, 246x246px
>>51592959
>>51585356
>>51584510
I am this anon
>>51583007

I just did some online research about Exodus and read comparisons between it and other epic space games such as TI3, Eclipse, Empires of the Void, etc.

I always wanted such a game but could never decide which one to pick. What do you guys think? How does Exodus compare to other such games? What are the strengths and weaknesses? How is the expansion and what do you think about the second expansion which they are currently funding on KS?

What does the gameplay feel like? What is the focus of the game? What about replayability and variety?

If you guys think it's a great game and fits my criteria regarding big and heavy and long then I would support them on KS and buy the base game plus both expansions.

Please let me know what you think.
>>
>>51594301
The standard move for the traitor in DoW is the last round betrayer tank: work subtly on your objective, then on the round in which you play last sabotage the crisis, eat all the food, try to fill the trash, kill as many characters as you can by attracting zombies... Yiu can easily tank 3-5 morale by yourself without giving time for anyone to react, not evne calling for an exile so at least you will change your objective and probably lose
Often it is also the only way the betrayer can realistically pull off a win, especially with expert players who cna spot a potential betrayer by how many cards he is holding

It's a pity because the betrayer role is so limited. Play ball, sabotage a crisis or two maybe, hope no one notices you hoarding cards and wait for your golden opportunity.
>>
>>51594321
It's no TI3 - but it's closer than anything else I've played if TI3's playtime is an issue for you.
It's quite aggressive, but also manages to maintain a fairly effective political element. The tech tree is great, the ship customization isn't as deep as Eclipse but isn't as broken either.
Replayability and variety are a little flat without the first expansion, but pretty good with it.

I really do like TI3 better for a plethora of reasons, but 5 players is about the absolute most I'll play TI3 with most of the time, and I strongly prefer 4. More than 5 and I'll always pick exodus.

>>51594518
Right, that's my problem. Just to spitball, maybe adding an additional victory requirement to the betrayer of X crisis failures before they can win might help promote more active sabotage.
>>
>>51594573
Thanks for your reply. From all the games I listed in my OP, would you recommend Exodus+expansion the most?
What does the end game in Exodus look like and in what ways would you say it's inferior to TI3?
Do you prefer Exodus over Eclipse?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I've never played a game like that so I have some difficulty imagining all the facets and aspects one could like or dislike, especially in comparsion to other similar games.
>>
>>51593787
>tfw friends are hyped for Pericles
>>
>>51594739
Of the ones you listed in your OP pic, Eclipse is the only one I've played, so my opinion there isn't worth a lot.

I do like Exodus better than Eclipse, mostly because it has more player interaction. More politics, more combat, more player participation in each other's actions, and less time spent exploring out and away from the other players in your own corner of the map - though that may be a negative for you. Eclipse is more elegant though, it especially has fantastic player aids that help quite a bit with teaching the rules and simplifying resource tracking and bookkeeping.

Endgame in exodus and eclipse is fairly similar, with desperate grabs for combat victory points and points from holding territory.
Victory Points in TI3 are gained primarily through completing objectives listed on cards, so the endgame there is usually a little less predictable. You need to determine what objectives a player close to winning is going to attempt to complete and plan ahead to prevent that from happening, while also anticipating the ways opponents will block the objectives that you appear to be moving towards.

I think TI3 has more interesting racial asymmetry, more interesting possible galaxy configurations, more interesting politics, and in general delivers a more complete "epic" experience. But it is longer. Even playing the "short" games of it that I prefer (4 players, smaller than normal map, 8VP to win) generally takes ~4 hours. For your first time that could easily be 6.

It might be worth your time to poke around in the rulebooks of those three, and any other games in the same genre, see what feels most compelling to you - my opinions on them are not law. There are tabletop simulator mods for eclipse and TI3 you could mess around with if you have that as well.
>>
>>51595051
Thank you. I'll check out some rulebooks and watch more playthroughs.
>>
>>51592494
I'm in the same position anon ;_;
>>
>>51594321
Eclipse is excellent for teaching new players about the 'Space 4x' genre in general as the rules and game turns are very straight forward. As STEEV mentioned it has a really cool ship customization rule set as well. The bad news:
Technologies are drawn randomly, there are some seriously broken ship design combos, and there's very little reason to use the 'form an alliance' rules in game. One can simply make / break verbal agreements and come out ahead on victory points with combat badges.

Exodus (particularly with the 'Edge of Extinction' expansion) does a nice job of offering more political tools to deal with competition rather than "Kill Everything!" as the default strategy.

There's also Hegemonic. I like this one because players can contest for control of systems via political, economic, or military means. That said, the 'attack strength vs defense strength' mechanics can be weird / counter-intuitive (nearby systems, and even systems near the other end of warp gates add to the combat results). But it has some interesting mechanics and great political back-biting in 3/5/ player games.

Exodus with EOE is probably your best bet for long term replay-ability if you're only going to snag one space 4x game.
>>
>>51597359
Cool. Thank you.
>>
Ive been thinking following games to get

>Deception: Murder in Hong Kong or The Resistance
>Exodus Proxima Centauri or Eclipse
>Sheriff of Nottingham
>Battlestar Galactica or Dead of Winter
>Power Grid or Stone Age

Any thoughts about these? What i should dump from the list?
>>
>>51598509
Dead of Winter wears through its novelty pretty fast. If you're deadset on buying a copy, buy mine.
>>
>>51598509
Deception > The Resistance
Exodus > Eclipse
BSG > DoW (but they only overlap on playercounts at exactly five, so use your group size as the real determinator)
>>
>>51598816
>BSG > DoW

Heh! I like DoW (zombie fan) but BSG has SO SO MANY ways to screw with your fellow player's minds it's just pure magic when players get into the groove with that game.
>>
File: top10boardgames.jpg (69KB, 350x866px) Image search: [Google]
top10boardgames.jpg
69KB, 350x866px
How is it that a hobby older than all of us has most of it's top 10 list from the last 5 years. Even most videogame top 10s don't sink this low.
>>
>>51599161
I mean, to be fair, board games in general are still getting better year to year, even if that climb is slowing.

Video games have been getting worse year-to-year for a while, though I think that trend too is slowing.
>>
>>51599161
Because "board" games that are very popular have their own autistic communities and aren't on bgg: e.g chess, go, poker, bridge, 3-5-8 etc.
>>
>>51573709
Summoner Wars
Battle con
Neuroshima Hex
Ortus Regni
Twilight struggle
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenix born
Pixel Tactics
Bluemoon
>>
File: space empires.jpg (15KB, 224x300px) Image search: [Google]
space empires.jpg
15KB, 224x300px
>>51597359
>>51595051
Hi, me again. What's your opinion on pic related? It looks pretty interesting even if it looks somewhat dry visually.
>>
>>51599161
The industry is similar to that of video games in the 90's, leaps and bounds in almost all aspects. Unfortunately greedy fuckwads are jumping on board much earlier then they did to vidya, so expect a downward turn sometime soon.
>>
>>51600004

Noooo, damn you capitalism

I'll quit videogames when CDProjekt gets bought and killed by EA, hopefully that never happens but strike me down if it hasnt happened before (rip westwood, maxis, origin, bullfrog and pandemic)
>>
>>51600004
>Unfortunately greedy fuckwads are jumping on board much earlier then they did to vidya
Not really? I guess it all comes down to perspective. I get the feeling you're more measuring this from when YOU got into boardgames though. I'm a little curious about this discussion.

Vidya:
>Has been around as a major market since the 70s
>Was killed by greed shortly and reborn in the 80s
>The major forces and patterns we're recognizing as the corporate greed were present and toxic as early as 2004 but lets be generous and say 2005 when it became more common place

Boardgames:
>Skip the nods to things like chess and start more around Parker Brothers coming into prime like 1930ish
>Was much more expanded upon in the 60s-70s
>Corporate greed started in 2014
>Still don't have much worse than kickstarters and company acquisitions without action

It's getting kinda bad what with the price hike for online retailers and Asomdee choking a couple people out (specter op's canceled expansion being the one major fatality I can think of) and I'm not saying we won't get there, but we have a long way to go to have it as bad as Vidya does.
>>
>>51600003
Haven't played it, but the couple guys around here who have speak quite fondly of it.
>>
File: newbie.jpg (77KB, 942x269px) Image search: [Google]
newbie.jpg
77KB, 942x269px
New to the hobby. This is my collection so far. What do I get next?

I just planned a weekly game night and we are going to try Concordia. Hyped af.
>>
>>51601117
Carcassone
>>
>>51601117
munchkin
>>
>>51600343
I suppose I was thinking about the modern era of boardgaming and how since early 2000's we've seen a ton of new, exciting content produced, but I suppose it really started with Catan getting popular in the late nineties. I was ignoring everything prior as the games from that era (minus a few exclusions) are forgettable trash.

You do raise a good point though, it has been slower in that framework which I would attribute to the comparably low profits to be made in board games. Asmodee is definitely taking things in a bad direction though.
>>
>>51601117
Twilight Imperium 3
>>
>>51601117
Monopoly/The Landlord's game
>>
>>51594301
>You get so few actions but each one is incredibly critical, and it makes strategies feel a little proscriptive, once you've made your first couple actions you feel fairly locked into a course for the rest of the game, which is usually a gripe I reserve for engine builder euros.
And sometimes the correct action is to draw two terrain cards and return one. With each action taking 8.3% of the game this feels extremely stifling.
>>
Anyone here got some experience in printing games? I was thinking about printing Eldritch Horror, since there are quite good scans out there and it would be much cheaper to use them to test the waters with my friends, but I can't decide which photo paper should I use - matt or glossy. Does it even matter, considering the cards will be in the sleeves anyway?
The board should be matt, of that I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>51601491
I made a printable version of KDM that costed me around 40 dollars.

If you want to use that specific kind of paper you should go with mate, as they will be on sleeves and having glossy components don't add anything top the general look of the game.
>>
>>51601540

I'd like to know more. Can you break down the specific costs?
>>
>>51601491
With how expensive it is to get the core game you might as well
For the game board you should probably go with something of a matte so pieces won't slip around or anything like that.
Cards you could get glossy even if you weren't sleeving imo just as long as it isn't super high gloss
>>
>>51601675
Eliminated a lot of the useless clutter of the game and streamlined how information is kept.

But I guess you want to know about the components. I already have a huge collection of old MtG cards and tons of sleeves, if you do not I suggest you buy from here: http://www.potomacdist.com/default.asp

So I just printed what I needed in normal paper, put an MtG card on the sleeve and the piece of paper with the picture of the card I wanted in front of the card. For the boards I printed them in normal paper again and then plasticize them with adhesive plastic for the ones I didn't mind could get bent and hard plastic for the ones that I didn't (hard plastic needs a machine that uses heat).

I didn't print the manual as it would increase the cost significantly and as you can see everything is really cheap so it might turn off players that dislike a cheap feel in components.
>>
>>51601830
>Eliminated a lot of the useless clutter of the game
like what
>>
>>51601989
stuff anon, stuff I find didn't need to be what it was, but I bet most anons would say otherwise. Still I don't really want to face the KDM defense force on an unrelated thread.

If what you want to know how could you categorize something as useless clutter use your gut, expertise on the game and imagination. If you find nothing can be removed then don't do it.
>>
>>51602198
>Lying on the internet
lmao
>>
>>51601117
Concordia is awesome
>>
>>51601206
>>51601307
Don't do these
>>
>>51599436
Is pixel tactics fun? I've thought about buying it
>>
>>51589620

I don't find a regular GW paint set particularly expensive. If you want to save a buck or two, get one from The Army Painter, of equal quality.

Getting good comes with practice, no one is good from scratch, and it all comes down to what you find fun in life. For me, its relaxing to sit down and just have my own time (when the rest of my life is filled to the brim with family and job).
>>
>>51595026
>tfw people prefer Pericles over Perikles
Feels bad man.
>>
>>51599161
Because with four or five exceptions, absolutely no board game of any kind that wasn't steaming dog shit was ever published before the year 2000.

Think of it like if current "best video games of all time" lists had Lunar Lander and Pong on them. It doesn't happen.

That era with all the juggernauts like Mario suddenly showing up and making video gaming actually feasible as a hobby at all? That's right now, for board games.

Anyone who argues with this can just wait ten years for the articles to all confirm it. Or wait twenty years to be dead.
>>
>>51568045
While you wait for this to happen I very much want you to type up rules for the thing you're describing because I'd proxy shit up for a game like that. It wouldn't be pretty but it'd be fun.
>>
>>51605564
Printing has gotten better and cheaper.

At least that's my reasoning. Back in the day we just played RPGs cause all you needed was the books which were usually fairly cheap from a used bookstore.
>>
>>51605548
What's Perikles like? I've always skipped over it because it didn't look like my kind of game, but it seems it's borrowed a lot from Struggle of Empires, which I really like
>>
File: 0459394534.jpg (752KB, 945x1204px) Image search: [Google]
0459394534.jpg
752KB, 945x1204px
>>51590859
Only if you play a lot or really have a group of 6-7 who loves the game enough to play it for 4 hours. But $23 for 10 minis and 2 new factions/player boards is a pretty good deal in my opinion. The new factions are a lot of fun
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQ7v6ABIbc
My God, I never realized they were such plebs.
>>
>>51608337
Seriously? Their plebeianness is part of their charm
>>
>>51601491
As a guy who works at a print store and printed quite a number of games, here are a couple of tips.

Unless its super worth it, or you don't mind the time burn, don't print.

One of my first prints was Resistance - Avalon, and I would rather just buy it instead of wasting so much time printing and cutting shit.

When it comes to paper, doesn't really matter be it Matte or Glossy, just make sure its at least 160g paper.

I like laminating my cards, without it they are way to flimsy and get ruined fast.

Printing shit isn't cheap, so again, unless its totally worth it I'd recommend buying.

Also can you share the KDM files you made?
>>
>>51608365
well from Sam it's expected, but Zee eagerly anticipating CMoN shit is surprising.
>>
File: maniac1.jpg (194KB, 799x1448px) Image search: [Google]
maniac1.jpg
194KB, 799x1448px
>>51586844
started giving my figures from Mansions of Madness a quick paintjob to bring it to life. Just gotta add some blood effect to this guy I think.
>>
>>51604490
> I don't find a regular GW paint set particularly expensive. If you want to save a buck or two, get one from The Army Painter, of equal quality.

I heard that they're very expensive compared to normal acrylic paints. Then
again cost isn't that big of a problem.

> Getting good comes with practice, no one is good from scratch, and it all comes down to what you find fun in life. For me, its relaxing to sit down and just have my own time (when the rest of my life is filled to the brim with family and jo

I know, I know. But like I said I don't have much spare time and I'm afraid
1) I'd ruin the minis
2) I'd have one game unusable for weeks at a time (before I finish paining a
batch of figures)
>>
>>51608984

You cant really ruin a mini, I use the lowest effort techniques and the games look fine at arm's length, which is all that matters if you're just playing board gaems.

Just go with the most efficient paintjob possible. I fucking hate painting, got bad eyes, jittery hands, but I do it anyway.
>>
>>51608562
Nice!
>>
File: maniac1final.jpg (217KB, 1200x1169px) Image search: [Google]
maniac1final.jpg
217KB, 1200x1169px
>>51609489
Thanks.

Not gonna post all the guys as I finish them, but I think the blood really makes the figure pop, and look properly thematic.
Gonna take me a long time to do them all but I think it will be worth it for my Arkham Horror and MoM games.
>>
I know you people don't like much collectable/blind booster type of games
but there's no alternatives to Dice Masters other than Quarriors! ?

I would gladly pay for a similar game but with expansions rather than new blind sets.
>>
>>51610259
Lots of custom dice then? Ashes of the Phoenixborn is an LCG with dice, it might fit what you're looking for. After that there's the Star Wars Destiny CCG.
>>
>>51610259
PD: I would even settle for Quarriors but the game has stopped production and now is dead all thanks to Wizkids.
fuck them
>>
>>51610293
Destiny right?
uh, I think I pass. nothing against the game but the SW universe isn't appealing enough for me at least.

also Ashes hasn't received any update from a while now. isnt that true?
>>
File: Meltingscout.jpg (48KB, 372x500px) Image search: [Google]
Meltingscout.jpg
48KB, 372x500px
>>51609089
I'm afraid I'll get pic related, and I prefer: *gorgeously* painted minis > unpainted minis > shoddily painted minis.
>>
>>51610356
You have to really try to fuck up that bad, I have 0 paint skills and I've never come close to that. I still am not hugely proud of the job I did on SDE last winter, and my half-orc brawler doesn't look as awesome as I wish he did, but when I sit down to play people always say it looks nice before they know I was the one who painted it.
>>
>>51610293
>>51610294
>>51610323
Nothing else then? I guess I'll just pay for singles and whatever I need in the meantime until something else comes.
shame, I'm really a sucker for custom dies and games that play around them
>>
>>51610447
Correct me if I'm wrong but once the mini is primed there's no going back, right? You can't "unpaint" and "unprime" it?

I'd be less afraid of fucking up if I could reverse the process.
>>
>>51609831
Thanks for the follow-up. That's a nice looking paint job. He definitely has that 'bat-shit crazy' look to him.

>>51610356
Damnit! Stop taking pictures of my minis! I... I'll get better some day Sempai.

(And this is why you purchase in-expensive 'Reaper Bonez' minis and practice painting them until you learn good brush control.)
>>
>>51611172
you can strip minis, it takes paint stripper an old toothbrush and some elbow grease.
>>
>>51611172
I actually fucked up my orc on the first attempt, his base coat had something get into it and he wouldn't take the wash properly in the dead center of his back. Took me maybe an hour with nail polish remover and a light brush, though I hear simple green is better. Re-primed, everything came out fine, though I did lose a little detail but I hear that happens with pewter minis and acetone, if I'd used a better stripper it woulda been fine. Most people can't tell that it was done and assume the issue is simply a mediocre cast, not my work; if they even notice the lack of detail at all.
>>
>>51611172
>once the mini is primed there's no going back, right? You can't "unpaint" and "unprime" it?

That would be incorrect. If you live the U.S. for example you can buy 'Castrol Super Clean' in most big-box stores automotive section. It's an automotive part grease remover that does a fine job of stripping paint / primer from plastic and metal minis without damaging them. I've soaked plastic, metal, and resin parts / minis in it without issue. It will debond cheap super glue joins however, but not epoxy or resin work.
>>
>>51604134
Thanks.
>>51601299
I really want to try a heavy game like that.

Keep the recs coming.
>>
>>51601117
Terra Mystica/Caverna for what many feel are the top two Euro out there.
Power Grid for what I feel is the top Euro.
Settlers of Catan/Puerto Rico for classic Euro.
Forbidden Stars/Chaos in the Old World for Games Workshop themed area control that you have to get right fucking now because htey are out of print. CitOW also has an expansion but good luck finding that.
>>
>>51611216
>>51611259
>>51611268
That's for the answers guys... maybe if it wasn't for the $500 I spent this month on books and board games I'd probably start paining ;P
>>
>>51611600
Took me like 8 months to get started simply because I was broke and wanted to use quality paints, you'll get there. I would suggest watching Rob's 101 videos from the dice tower, they're not all winners but he's had some really good ideas I wouldn't have thought to do. Grabbing a piece of paper and practicing eyes over and over before doing a chibi miniature helped loads, and I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't forgotten to skip his segment one week.
>>
>>51601117
how big is your group?
>>
>>51599161
It's partially because newer games have less votes, and therefore fewer bad votes. It's easier to have a big rating with fewer votes.
>>
>>51610323
Someone mentioned that they were hoping Ashes will get an update this year, but yeah at the very least it definitely gets less updates than something like Netrunner. Seems worth it though, but if you want to buy expansions/boosters often then skipping it is probably fine.
>>
Those of you who play x wing, how do you store all of your pieces (ships, cards, tokens, dice, etc)? I'm diving headfirst into this rabbit hole but I want to keep everything in as few places as possible
>>
>>51611901
2-3 base group, plus 2 guests
>>
How are Specter Ops and Castles of Mad King Ludwig?
>>
speaking of marvel dice masters do the starter sets include the same thing everytime of is it randomized
>>
>>51613003
They have the same thing every time

>>51612995
I like Spector Ops a lot, I got it because I'm a MGS fan boy. I've only played it 1v1 and it was fun but if one player is much more tactical than the other one or if one player knows less about the character abilities or agent abilities then the one who knows more should win often.
>>
File: t u.png (5KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
t u.png
5KB, 120x120px
>>51612995
>>
File: 8.jpg (56KB, 308x302px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
56KB, 308x302px
>>51612830
This sort of thing is what I use.
Fits pretty much all but the big ships. Even the HWK will fit in that double sized one.
>>
File: image2 (10).jpg (284KB, 1632x908px) Image search: [Google]
image2 (10).jpg
284KB, 1632x908px
>>51610356

Like >>51610447 said, you have to try your hardest to end up with that kind of shit. Here's a pic of my zero effort painted Shadows of Brimstone, which isnt great, but looks ok from a distance.
>>
>>51612830
The standard is the Plano 1374 if you want to carry everything in one box, or one of the stanley tool organizers that has bins in it (you can keep your clamshell pieces and fit them inside the bins). The individual trays are the 3700s and they fit pretty much everything but huge ships (though party buses have to be disassembled). Just look on amazon and you'll find links from one to the other based on what people also buy. A 3-ring binder can be fitted with page sleeves for both the pilot and upgrade cards, and if you get coin pages (2x2x2 square) they'll fit both your ship base tokens and dials. Vinyl is prolly better than polyprop, it's stiffer and won't have them falling out. I'm in the midst of designing a custom box for it, because I loathe the ugliness that is tackle boxes.
>>
>>51608498
Regardless of how you justify it, you can't honestly tell me you're surprised some average boardgamer doesn't share your contrarian tastes. I'm anticipating Rising Stun.
>>
>>51608380
>Unless its super worth it, or you don't mind the time burn, don't print.

I understand why you would say that. I can already see that it will take a shitload of work, but I still think it will be worth it, if not for the price, then for the comfort of not having original cards that can get easily damaged by my not-so-gentle friends.
Thanks for the tips, either way.
As for the KDM files, you've mistaken me for someone else.

>>51601772
>>51601540
Thanks for the tips, I will go with matte.
>>
>>51610447
that's not even the worst I've seen
>>
The BGG forums seem to be under the impression that this is silently the last printing of Libertalia before it fades away forever? Is this true?

I mean, I have had my copy for ages. But if I will have to stop recommending it soon, then damn, because it's really one of those Swiss army knife games that fits lots of situations - up to 6p but still plays fast via simultaneous action selection, hosts the full 6p without being a party game, can be played as highly strategic or a pile of nonsense depending on your group, etc. Basically it's something to suggest other than just "7 Wonders" when, you know, those questions come up. I will mourn its eventual death...
>>
>>51615412
While it's owned by Asmodee? Not likely, though they might keep it out of print for a while so when they bring it back they can cheap out on the components, jack up the price and people will still buy.
>>
File: scythe terraforming mars.jpg (100KB, 525x268px) Image search: [Google]
scythe terraforming mars.jpg
100KB, 525x268px
Which one should I spend my hard earned shekels on?
>>
>>51616204
>Popular PvP game or sequel to popular co-op game
How the shit are we supposed to pick for you? This is entirely a personal preference choice.
>>
>>51616242
You ain't gonna pick for me. You're just gonna give a recommendation and tell me which one you think is better for whatever reason. Maybe some people will give actual reasons. Maybe some of the reasons are points I haven't considered before.

I'm gonna buy both anyway, it's just that I'll buy one now and the other in a couple weeks/months.
>>
>>51616383
>a couple weeks
jesus why even ask, it basically doesn't matter which one you buy first if that's how long the other is being put off for. If you bought like 1 big board game every 6 months to a year I'd understand.

With that in mind Scythe has a dope aesthetic.
>>
>>51616204
>shekels
>hard earned
>>
>>51616204
Scythe
It's reasonably unique and has the greater staying power. Terraforming Mars is a mediocre engine builder with some extra faff to try to make it appear like it isn't something that hasn't been done to death before.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>51616657
NEW THREAD
>>51616657
NEW THREAD
>>51616657
>>
>>51616680
>6 posts early
anon........
>>
>>51616999
Isn't 300 the limit?
>>
>>51617014
310, if you're wanting to shill your kickstarter purchase wait til the thread's dying before starting a new one.
>>
>>51608984

>Ruin a mini

In todays age, when tutorials rests at the click of a button, you have no reason to believe it will end up as bad as you think. As long as your goal is to produce something you can be proud of, and lift the experience of a game, you have nothing to worry about.

>$35 GW baseset

This is where it gets personal. See, to me, this isn't a huge amount of money. Its an investment that will bring you hours upon hours of fun.
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.