[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 366
Thread images: 27

File: 1482738418579.jpg (151KB, 900x884px) Image search: [Google]
1482738418579.jpg
151KB, 900x884px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51283347

Make 5e Great Again Edition
What needs to be changed in 5e to make the edition better?
>>
>>51290320
Something to remove poison immunity
>>
>>51290320
Options for players to downgrade immunities to resistances and to ignore resistances with certain damage types (i'm looking at you Fire and Poison).
>>
File: damn, son.jpg (134KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
damn, son.jpg
134KB, 1024x700px
>>51290320
>>
>>51290320
How does that dungeon stay dry?
>>
>>51290331
>>51290360
Just make up a spell or magic item m80s
>>
>>51290363
There are two posibilities.
1. It is not dry, but rather uncomfortably damp.
2. le epic wizard magiks xDxDxD
>>
>>51290320
Make combat fun
>>
>>51290414
Please elaborate. And why don't you think 5e combat isn't already fun?
>>
>>51290412
I've played enough Dwarf Fortress to know you can't just make a cool dungeon like that in the middle of a lake.
Damn wizards and their damn ebin magicks.
>>
>>51290398
Homebrewed the Elemental adept feat to be a bit better.

Pick a damage type.
Attacks of that type that you make ignore reistances and treat immunities as resistances.
Once per turn you may re-roll the attack roll for an attack that deals this damage type and use the higher total.
You may take this feat multiple times but must pick a different damage type each time.

It's actually a shame to name it Elemental adept at this point since it could be used for martials as well (slashing / piercing damage and ways to get around magical resistances /immunities for people who took Tavern Brawler).
>>
File: IMG_0293.jpg (112KB, 500x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0293.jpg
112KB, 500x748px
Would a single Fire Giant Dreadnaught be too strong for a group of 5 level 6 characters?

Running SKT and I want to drive home that Giants are not to be trifled with
>>
>>51290414
Nigga wot? This sounds like a you problem. Combat is fun.
>>
>>51290431
However, if no c00l magix are involved there is a great chance to put the PC's in trouble.

If they were to somehow damage a wall, then it could come trembling down and the dungeon would be flooded. Now those spooky skeletons are spooky underwater skeletons.
>>
I did some research but since I'm still not certain I'll ask one more time.

These are the components for Shillelagh:

V, S, M (mistletoe, a shamrock leaf, and a club or quarterstaff)

Can I just strap some mistletoe and a shamrock leaf to my staff and be done with it? I should be able to do the Somatic component with the same hand that handles the Material component (i.e. the club or staff).

I could probably bluff my way through it anyway with most DM's but I'd rather do it properly.
>>
>>51290468
Not just that, the place would have flooded years ago. I don't see any bilge pumps keeping it dry. Stone walls don't keep water out on their own, and during construction the place would have just had mud walls anyway.
>>
>>51290448
Just call it "Weakness Analasys". You can even add a little fluff to it.

Through your study and previous encounters with creatures you have learned to bypass their resistances and immunities. You are a master of bringing people to their knees, and then push them over and kick them while theyre down.
>>
Is there any dungeon maps for areas like Gauntlgrym or other sorts of dwarven-themes dungeons in any of the published adventures?
>>
>>51290363
Magic, probably. It's how pretty much everything works in D&D.

The real question is why it is still dry even though the wizard who built it clearly isn't around any longer.
>>
>>51290493
Unless it was built on a hill where the surrounding area was later flooded.
>>
>>51290423
I come form 4e inb4 worst edition, so 5e combat seems repetitive and flavorless. Playing a non-caster provides few options beyond basic damage dealing. Team dynamics are few and minor. The rules are simplified so as to avoid needing interesting tactics. I just find myself wanting to skip fighting altogether
>>
What kind of spells would a mechanical construct have, based around the idea that it's a built-in functions, not an actual spell that's being casted.
>>
>>51290537
That's kind of how the dwarves in my setting work. They've been around for millions of years, and over time their perfectly normal cities, that were originally above ground, have had hills build up around them and eventually bury them.
>>
>>51290360
Elemental Adept feat exists
>>
>>51290475
Here is what you do. Pick spell focus instead of component pouch. The spell focus can be used in place of any component that dont have price in their description. The focus is a staff, the staff can treated as quarterstaff when making attacks roll and what not.
Fucking done.
>>
>>51290554
Do they not live in their cities?
>>
>>51290540
>5e combat seems repetitive and flavorless.
That really seems your problem, man. There's tons of different ways to fluff up the combat in 5e, if you're willing to and are a good DM.
>>
>>51290571
Yeah, they constantly repair and reinforce shit, it's why their still around
>>
>>51290572
he's a player
>>
>>51290572
Why would you assume I'm the DM?
>>
>>51290501
How about ''Single minded''.
Through your focus and practice on a particular area you managed to go beyond their normal boundraries.

>>51290555
Yes it does exist.
And have you read what it does.
It deals with resistances and a damage roll of 1 is treated as a 2.

I made my own version cause it deals with immunities (from which fire and poison particulary suffer, i mean fuck it Monks get poison immunity at lvl 9) and the once per turn re-roll for the attack roll is just plain better.
>>
>>51290572

Well, not if you are a Champion or one of the other 'Just hit them' subclasses. They really should have made Battlemaster just the 'Base fighter' stuff.
>>
>>51290583
>>51290594
Then your DM is shit, and you as a player can also fluff up your abilities and just rely on the stale ''I throw a dagger'' or ''I cast fireball'.
>>
>>51290493
man if only stuff could be made to not leak. Man if only the romans had concrete and ways to waterproof building. Oh wait they did. So maybe the dwarfs also had it
>>
>>51290475
I don't know if continous spell material tracking is an often-seen feature you need to particularly worry about; consult your DM if need be.

You could also just, y'know, use a druidic focus.
>>
>>51290541
What kind of spells would a creature have who can't cast actual spells? None. Is this a trick question?
>>
>>51290583
>>51290594
Hence why I said ''if you're willing to''.
>>
>>51290611
Honestly I would have less grievances if maneuvers were available to all martials. They're still a bit underwhelming, but would at least provide more variety than "deal damage at it till it dies"
>>
>>51290631
Making an aqueduct not leak so much water that it becomes pointless is a different thing to building a big dungeon inside an unconfined aquifer. And that dungeon is plainly not made from concrete, even if concrete was somehow watertight (hint: it ain't).
>>
>>51290451
Pls respond
>>
>>51290642

The issue is that Martials need to play 'Mother May I' with the GM rather than there being actual solid rules for it. A lot of newbie GMs are not willing to deal with 'Oh god, I need to homebrew rules for this situation'.

Something like 4e's table for improvised effects would be fantastic to help those new GMs with 'What is a decent amount of damage/reasonable effects'
>>
>>51290562
>>51290635
I might not have been clear in my post. This would be while playing a life Cleric with a shield and a quarterstaff. Shillelagh would be gained trough the magic initiate feat.
>>
Martials should get back their superiority dice for one, and be able to expend it for cool shit or increased damage effects like the awesome modular spells system 5e has.
>>
>>51290631
>and ways to waterproof building.

It's called "a roof". Doesn't help much against ground water or water pressing in from left and right though.
>>
>>51290626
Hey i'm a DM brand spanking new to it and with 4 brand spanking new player, give me a break man.
>>
>>51290678
If the DM isn't saying ''absolutely, good for it, or that sounds cool'' (within reason of course), then they don't know what they're doing.

5e explicitly is the edition with the simplified, streamlined rules so the Rule of Cool can reign.
>>
>>51290320
>building an underground base under a river

Enjoy your constant flooding.
>>
>>51290541
You man what kind of spell-like abilities can you refluff as being mechanical in nature?

Fire and gas-based attacks are always good.
>>
>>51290709
It's magic, don't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>51290501
>>51290601
but then you get to a point where a red dragonborn is somehow hurting a fire dragon with dragon fire breath
>>
>>51290601
So basically it should be "Stubborn"

For some reason you keep attacking the same spot over and over again, like nigguh move on. But somehow you actually manage to hit hard enough and wear down the natural armors of your enemies.
>>
>>51290707

>If the DM isn't saying ''absolutely, good for it, or that sounds cool'' (within reason of course), then they don't know what they're doing.

That was sorta implied by 'Newbie'. 4e gave tools to help said newbies adjudicate what's a reasonable value. 5e could do with something simpler.

To paraphrase a quote about comics: Every RPG is someone's first.
>>
>>51290684
I for one think that all the battlemaster features should be spread out to all the martials.

Key the number of superiorty dice per long rest from either Str+Con or Dex+Con.
You only gain maneouvers from multiclassing into other martials but no extra superiority dies.

Every martial learns 1 maneouver at lvl 3.
Then another every 4 levels after that.

As a tradeoff everyone except battlemaster sticks to a d8 for their superiority die while battlemaster gets a 2d6.
>>
>>51290719
never heard of fighting fire with fire, anon?
>>
>>51290719
+ + = -

fight fire with fire.
>>
>>51290626
"I spot an opening and deftly skewer it's right shoulder" or "I cleave my axe deep into it's chest with mad glee" is still just "I make an attack action and roll for damage" If you want all of that to actually have an effect you have to beg your GM and hope he isn't one of the two million that think just dealing damage is sufficient enough to be called fun. I miss when I didn't have to debate the fucking realism of doing something fun, or argue that a ruling is simply too underwhelming. I miss fun being built into the game. I miss having tactical options beyond tripping a guy for advantage. I miss being a big goddamn hero that can pull off flashy shit at the drop of a hat
>>
>>51290703
You don't have to strictly adhere to the rules, only when it enforces story progression.

Introduce different elements into play when combat arises, so it doesn't feel like an hour long grind and bore fest.
Have stuff like terrain and topographical features, built features, traps, etc to spice it up.
>>
>>51290719

The point is to get rid of immunities.

He's burning the dragon for pitiful damage thanks to the immunity being downgraded to a resistance.

Also fighting fire with fire is just a nice concept.

It would also make Green dragon sorcerrers finaly relevant.
>>
>>51290693
entire dams are made of concrete and Romans had access to roman concrete which is hydraulic-setting and good enough mortar.
>>
File: archer.jpg (201KB, 489x803px) Image search: [Google]
archer.jpg
201KB, 489x803px
hey teegee my bard just died and I need a new character.

DM said I can use UA stuff, multiclass, do whatever basically. Anyone have any cool ideas?
>>
>>51290719
>it's SOOO unrealistic how the magic dragon man can spit supernatural fire and hurt the impossibly enormous lizard monster
>>
>>51290760
What level?

Also if he likes utility he could try MCing Shadowmonk with the new Rogue archetype for maximum mobility.
>>
>>51290748
You know everyone says this but that shit is hard. You need to map out things for your players for them to even be aware the world isn't just them and whatever they're trying to kill. You need to plan out encounters in specific places that players might just run by altogether
>>
>>51290730
This is a great start, but missing a key element: higher level maneuvers.

As-is, you're picking from the same crappy list of maneuvers every time, so your choices get LESS exciting as you level up, because obviously you took the maneuvers you like the best first.
>>
>>51290747
How would you introduce better combat mechanics then?
>>
>>51290774
Ah level 4 about to be 5
>>
>>51290748
I know, I've created a setting, or at least something to start with. And i'll try but, I have to get them to actually create characters before I can place them in the world.
>>
>>51290719
Because he's fucking good at spitting fire.
See this is the kind of fixation on "realism" that makes the game unfun. He can do it because it's cool, fuck trying to make sense
>>
>>51290601
How about this?

You bypass damage immunity, treating it as a resistance. You can take poison as your element, and it lets you bypass the immunity to the poisoned condition.
>>
>>51290791
What playstyle does he like?

I suggest Swashbuckler Rogue 4/ Dragon Sorcerrer Gold 1.
It lets him play as a cocky fabolous magic swordsman.
>>
>>51290784
DMing isn't easy by any stretch, you gotta have some preparation but you can also certainly wing it.

Just don't give the excuse that it's hard, cos stop being a lazy shit.
>>
>>51290719

My 4e Monk does that one. Treats fire immunity as resistance 25 and reduces all fire resistance by her level + dex mod.

But then, 4e actually mentioned the concept of Primal Elements. Elements so pure that they hold domininon over creatures that would otherwise not care. A fire elemental can be burned by primal fire not because he's somehow flammable but because he's dealing with the incarnation of the concept of 'Burning' and he can't deny it.

Also because otherwise Desert Wind gets very sad when demons/devils/fire elementals/other high level foes turn up.
>>
>>51290788
I would copy 4e powers and class abilities
>>
>>51290788
>How would you introduce better combat mechanics then?

If only we had a fucking DECADE worth of video games to provide us an example.

But that would mean looking at shit like WoW, and that's apparently the most high heresy when it comes to D&D fans.

Four Horsemen is a cooler boss fight than anything introduced in any D&D module ever.
>>
>>51290683
replace "druidic focus" with "holy symbol" and it still stands.
>>
>>51290820
They don't translate over directly, how would you modify them?
>>
>>51290760
Try out Artificier if it has any draw for you.
>>
>>51290828
Did that question somehow trigger you?
>>
>>51290828
You sound upset.
>>
>>51290320
>building underground under water

y tho

the whole place would be flooded

>inb4 a wizard did it
>>
>>51290833
It's really just the numbers you'd have to change, most status effects, movement effects and reactions would translate easily enough. Might come out seeming a bit overpowered, but that's kind of the point
>>
>>51290872
Wizards should release that in an UA.
>>
>>51290864
>You sound upset.

Yeah, I am upset.

Because this edition had the chance to learn all the lessons from 3e and 4e and ten years of games like EQ and WoW, and instead of doing that they just went with the laziest, safest, blandest shit possible.

Could have--SHOULD have--been the best game. Instead it's just mediocre. It's just acceptable. It's just okay. And that really sucks.
>>
Guys would it be interesting if each sorcerer bloodline had its own unique spelllist? It fits the class much more.

Like give Storm Sorcerer a whole load of weather themed spells and air/water elemental magic. Dragonic Sorcerer gets a bunch of elemental spells based on their damage type, and some spells about enhancing their own body to be more dragon-like, while Wild Magic Sorcerer gets a huge clusterfuck of spells that encompasses the chaotic nature of the class.
>>
>>51290833
Most martial abilities are just (Weapon damage)xNumber and additional effect like move both your target to an adjacent square and yourself to his former square.
>>
>>51290906
Blame the 3.x/PF fuckers fucking shit up again. Wizards also listened to them.
>>
>>51290786
The maneouvers are limited so they DON'T turn into spells2.0

And people can homebrew them.
They just need to take care not to step out too far from 'vanilla' 5e cause it's a decent framework.

I also use my own Spell point system for casters for example.
Basically every class gets a Magic point die the same as the Hit point die.
They expend those to cast leveled spells.

Example:
Wizard has a 1d10 Mp die
Druid has a 1d10 Mp die
Sorcerrer has a 1d12 Mp die
Bard, Warlock, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Monk have a 1d8 Mp die.
Most others have a 1d4 Mp die (passive magical tallent all beings have)
Or in the case of 1/3-caster archetypes a 1d6 Mp die.

Spell cost is:
4 points for a lvl 1 spell
12 points for a lvl 2 spell
24 points for a lvl 3 spell
36 points for a lvl 4 spell
Etc.
The spell-level learned list stays the same tho.
Can't give them early acess to that.
>>
>>51290906
You know that's not entirely correct and you're exaggerating just so you can impotently rage.
>>
>>51290931
I'd like for their to be some passive effects you can take with spell points.

Barbarian only gets 1d4 spell points, enough to cast spells, but he can give up his spell points permanently for certain features, something like doubling your size for lift checks, super jumps, etc

That could be a good idea.
>>
>>51290915
I definitely think it should work like that if just to beef up their spell list so that the level 8 wizard doesn't have more spells by existing than the level 20 sorcerer. Only problem is making one for each draconic bloodline since shit like poison and acid don't actually have that many spells without going to 3rd party stuff but it would help fire definitely as no longer having to spend spells known on fireball and burning hands and shit means you can fit even more fun utility in there.
>>
>>51290971
No problem.
He just needs to get the magic initiate feat to cast spells with it.

For monks these Magic points replace Ki since it is basically their magic power anyway.

Barbarians could technically be made to power their rages with the magic points but it would need some balancing with the scaling.
It would actually fit the fluff of a primal magic and also explain why they can't cast spells while raging.
Quite fitting man.
>>
>>51290881
People might screech about it being 4e/videogamey/MMO. They'd have to neglect to mention the source material
>>
Would you get maneuvers/4e style powers right off the bat and inherent to the class, or would you need to spend x to get them?
Would you automatically get access to a maneuvers/4e style power by virtue of being a particular level or particular class?
>>
So I've never played dnd but I have a group of friends that want to play. I would have to be DM. Is there a cookie cutter campaign you guys suggest that's fun?
>>
Decided to play a battlemaster/assassin rogue build for an upcoming campaign. Issue being is that I don't really know how to set it up just yet, mostly ever played casters.

I was thinking of using a martial weapon so I probably have to start out as fighter.. but do I only go 3 levels in fighter and then into rogue?
Or do I go 5 levels for the extra attack and then into rogue eventually?

Thoughts?
Anyone done a similar build?
Or is there a better build built around strong opening nova using Assassin rogue?
>>
>>51291061
Lost Mines of Phlandelver, friend; haven't personally played it but hear it's a good adventure for newbie DMs.
>>
>>51290747
>"I spot an opening and deftly skewer it's right shoulder" or "I cleave my axe deep into it's chest with mad glee" is still just "I make an attack action and roll for damage"

>thinks HP = meat points alert

The attack that reduces the enemy to 0hp is basically the first one to connect
>>
>>51290759
Dams do have internal drainage systems to deal with the inevitable seeping water. They don't have to hold off all water to begin with, just most of it.
>>
>>51291099
>>51291061
LMoP.

It's fun, it's good. Use the premade characters if your players are all new.
>>
>>51290451

Maybe.

Consider it your player's problem and not your own.
>>
>>51291099
>>51291117
Thanks guys. Any other tips? Gonna read a bunch of stuff online before we start.
>>
>>51290747
>"I spot an opening and deftly skewer it's right shoulder"
Include Acrobatics to deftly go up under its guard, for no or minimal damage.
Maybe moved into a flanking position for sneak attack.

>"I cleave my axe deep into it's chest with mad glee"
Two-handing while raging.
Include Intimidation with this attack.
>>
>>51291128
Try to learn all the rules
>>
>>51290829
Can I actually use my Holy Symbol to cast a druid cantrip? It would be very convenient.
>>
>>51291179
Aye, you can.
>>
>>51291149
>Include Acrobatics to deftly go up under its guard, for no or minimal damage.
what does that actually mean mechanically?
>>
>>51291128
Remember you guys are there to tell a collective story, and you, as the DM, are not there to be against the players.

If the players want to do something, give them a chance to do so, that'll involve them and promote creative thinking, problem solving and roleplaying.

Don't force people into roleplaying, everyone comes into it at their own pace.
Don't think you're doing a terrible job if only some are roleplaying, the others may be having fun in different ways.
>>
>>51291230
Increasing chances for fuckups as it requires multiple rolls.
>>
>>51291128
Sure. LMoP was both my first time DMing and my first time playing an RPG.

Do NOT go on a massive reading frenzy and try to consume all DM advice on the internet beforehand. I did the same thing, and it just caused me to overthink what I was doing and make more mistakes. It's a game, just focus on having fun, pick up the pro strats later.

DO read through all of each chapter in advance of getting to it, including reading all of chapter one before you start. You should be able to summarize everything in the chapter before the session begins.

Discuss the premise and rules with your players in advance of starting. Make sure nobody thinks it's acceptable to try to murder random villagers or whatever, and that you're constrained by the book (until they finish it, at least).

As written, levels one and two are super lethal, especially for rookie players. Do NOT use monster criticals unless you want characters to die with no recourse. Make sure your players understand short rests and use them if wounded. Don't be afraid to pull punches if the players are outmatched - you can challenge them later, when they know what they're doing.

Make sure you're handing out XP when the book says to, it's easy to forget. The book transitions from "XP for killing enemies" to "XP for achieving plot things" as it goes, I think most people agree the latter is better anyways, but it exposes you to both, so make sure you're on top of what the book is telling you to give out.

In conjunction with the two above, the first dungeon is pretty deadly. If your players are struggling, don't be afraid to give them a bit of XP to nudge them to the next level, and again, remind them to take short rests.

The dragon in the book will probably kill all of them if they're less than level five and try to fight it. Don't be afraid to tell them this explicitly if they're insistent.

Don't stress loot too much other than magic items, the gemstones and art and gold etc don't matter.
>>
A party of 6 barbarians are sitting in a bar. They are all level 1, have athletics proficiency, 16 strength and 16 con and are very angry. There are no paritcularly unusual traits about them (Such as being aasimar or something), only what you'd expect of a normal human level 1 barbarian character with no bullshit.

They are angry because the DM has placed a DMPC of level 20 to watch over the bar and railroad the players.

The bar does not have enough space for escape or manoeuvre - it is a tight enough space you could move up to your speed to anyone.

Surprise is not an option. Neither side can be surprised. Each team will try to use all of their resources if they can.

The level 20 is a dex fighter. They have 10 strength, 20 dex, 20 con, likely sharpshooter and crossbow mastery and one or two other unimportant feats. They do not have relevant magic items or racial benefits or anything.

So, the barbarians should be able to win. I wouldn't give them a massively great chance and they're screwed if the DM pulls a bullshit power out of nowhere, but the chance should be at least above 25% for the barbarians to win. Right?

Grapple, prone and disarm(DMG rules) the fuck out of him and beat the fuck out of him.
>>
>>51291050
Everyone gets a base set of maneuvers at lvl 1 with a d6 for damage. Get more with the feat, or if the class normally gets more at a higher lvl then they still do and the benefit of increased damage die
>>
>>51291230
Roll Dex (Acrobatics).
>>
>>51291265

You can contest a grapple with acrobatics, so I don't see the barbs ever actually pinning the guy down. If he can find an escape to go and buy or steal a dagger real fast, then the barbs are screwed.
>>
>>51291289
If you're not a retard.
>>
>>51291289
To get what? For no or minimal damage? Why are you being damaged during your attack to begin with?
>>
>>51291265
Hm, I'm thinking on second thought it might rely a bit too much on the DM not allowing them to pull extra weapons out of their ass every turn even after they've been proned, grappled and disarmed. I guess you'd have to assume they only carry one weapon with them around the bar.

>>51291300
He's not going to escape. Too many barbarians, an entire action to escape grapple and multiple are trying. Unless you can't have two creatures grappling the same creature.

The barbarians have a 1/3 chance of success if the DMPC is proficient in acrobatics.
>>
I'm joining a new group, they are level 7.
They have a bear totem barbarian, a 2 druid/5 war cleric, an assassin rogue and a dragon sorceress.
What do you think I should go to round out the group, I'm drawing a blank here.
>>
>>51291309
You're deftly guiding your weapon in.
Reactions may be shutting you down or attacks of opportunity.
>>
>>51291320
Bard.
>>
>>51291316

Not to escape a grapple, to avoid it altogether. Grapple's a contest, if the Fighter never loses the contest then there's no worry. If he doesn't actually have proficiency in acrobatics, then there's a chance the barbs can pin him down, but it's not something reliable enough to say for certain.
>>
>>51291320
Any given group needs a composition that consists of the following roles: whatever you want, so in this case you should pick anything.
>>
>>51291327
what am I getting for deftly guiding my weapon in that warrants taking OAs?
>>
>>51291338
And now that all classes are more or less equally useful, it's more of a what would you like to play.
>>
>>51291320

Is the Rogue a melee or ranged Rogue?

Either way, that group could use a Wizard to round things out.
>>
>>51291337
I have the probabilities right here.

The barbarians have +5 and advantage.
He has +11.

It's easily more than possible that they'd succeed. If he didn't have proficiency, he'd be +5 against +5 which would be a sorry sight.

More importantly though I think I'm overlooking that the barbarians won't have advantage to disarm him, which is the most important thing. But once they've disarmed him he's pretty much useless and can only fight with improvized weapons for negligible damage.
>>
>>51291320
They already cover all the bases. Play whatever. Maybe a wizard for INT skills.
>>
>>51291341
You may have been, without the check, now you're not.
>>
>>51291098
Anyone?
Guessing it'd be optimal to just go fighter3/rogueX
>>
>>51291355

I'm not really sure you understand the definition of the word "easily" here, but whatever. Let's assume they do pin him down then. Do the barbs have weapons of their own to kill him with, or is this going to be fisticuffs only?
>>
>>51291366
What? Why am I taking OAs during my attack action? What is "deftly guiding my blade in" giving me besides the attack I could've had without provoking OAs if I didn't flavor it up?

Seriously, this is the kind of bizarre ruling that makes it difficult to make attacks sound interesting without fucking yourself over.
>>
>favorite edition of DnD
>edition you play the most currently
>favorite non-DnD system
>non-DnD system you play the most currently
>what system you most want to play next but aren't playing now
>what mechanic / rule you most wish DnD would take from your favorite non-DnD system
>what mechanic / rule you most wish your favorite non-DnD system would take from DnD

Assume "if any" is implied after every question
>>
>>51291401

It's probably not a good idea to give too much attention to poorly thought out shit.
>>
>>51291098
>>51291377
Generally, if you want to be a fighter-rogue rather than any other type of rogue, you want either 5 or 11 levels of fighter for the extra attacks.

Don't forget action surge won't give you an extra sneak attack, and more attacks is simply more chances to get sneak attack (And damage).

Supposedly, shield master works quite well. Rapier+shield+shieldmaster. Yes, you're using a weapon even a rogue can use, but rogues can't normally use shields.

You could also try barbarian-rogue I guess. Or you could just go pure rogue.

Also assassin rogue's crit is quite hard to get, don't rely on having it too much.

You could also go champion for crit sneak chance on 19, though battlemaster for reaction sneak attacks sounds better, probably.

>>51291386
Eh, they could go fisticuffs. The barbarians would do 6 damage a punch, after all, and the fighter can't even damage the barbarians at all with his punches. I guess the question is if the barbarians can take him out before two minutes have passed, they've lost all their rages and the dex fighter hasn't made a grapple-free-self spree and run off or beaten them all to death 1 damage at a time.

Easily is a 1/3 chance, with 6 people. I guess I am understating 'easily' a bit, maybe with a bit of difficulty but I'd certainly rely on them getting more than one grapple/prone/disarm a round, which is all they need.
>>
>>51291401
>>51291408
You sound incredibly autistic.
>>
>>51291320
Rogue 2/Abjurer Wizard 5

Enjoy.
>>
>>51291408
That's my point. Poorly thought out shit is exactly what you get at a table when you ask a DM to improvise.
>>
>>51291408
>>51291444
Sorry you're autistic and need mechanical handholding for everything.
>>
>>51291431

Can resistance reduce 1 damage to 0 damage?
>>
>>51291354
ranged
>>51291336
yeah, leaning towards bard
or
>>51291354
wizard, going mostly control style spells
>>
>>51291437
>>51291453

>Be DM
>Player wants to flair up his stuff
>Tell him to make an acrobatics check during his attack
>It doesn't actually do anything for him, but tell him that because he did his flair thing that I'm going to Op attack him
>DM vs player is only way to play, gotta cheat my players to win

Yeah, right, I'm the autistic one here. Uh huh.
>>
>>51291431
Are extra attacks even that valuable when you could be increasing your SA die instead? you could go for 5 fighter just so you have insurance if the first attack misses, but 11 seems excessive. You wont be great weapon fighting or anything
>>
>>51291320
Literally anything that hasn't been done yet. As long as you're not stepping on someone's toes, you're doing fine.

Maybe a warlock.

>>51291454
It can, nothing saying it can't, as long as it was a 1 damage it's halved and rounded down to 0.
>>
>>51291401
How are you traveling in your direction to the enemy?
Anyway, you could Acrobatically tumble, flipping over terrain features and hazards, doing cool shit and then guiding your blade deftly into your enemy, which'll just require the attack action and no AOs and the accusation of stale combat.

>>51291408
You must have lots of friends.
>>
>>51291405
>>favorite edition of DnD
Rules Cyclopedia

>>edition you play the most currently
5e

>>favorite non-DnD system
Hard to say just one: ACKS, Mouse Guard, Apocalypse World,Ryutaama, RuneQuest, oWoD are games I enjoy

>>non-DnD system you play the most currently
Its been awhile since I played a non DnD game

>>what system you most want to play next but aren't playing now
ACKS/any old school rpg

>>what mechanic / rule you most wish DnD would take from your favorite non-DnD system
Nothing

>>what mechanic / rule you most wish your favorite non-DnD system would take from DnD
Nothing
>>
File: TheSaddestBaby.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
TheSaddestBaby.gif
1MB, 320x240px
I miss 4e
>>
>>51291178
>>51291238
>>51291253
Thanks guys. Really helpful.
>>
>>51291473
Yeah, stop being a hamplanet.
>>
>>51291474
11 still keeps your damage up with rogue. 6 levels for an extra 1d8+5 damage, compared to 3d6, except that third attack can get extra damage from things like duelling (+2 damage) and there's still a chance your first two attacks miss and you still need sneak attack.
I wouldn't recommend it because it takes ages to get fun rogue abilities, but if you want more fighter levels (level 6 to 10 features) for example then you might want to do it.
>>
>>51291473
>>51291408
Whatever you say chief, you're the expert.
>>
>>51291485
I would already be next to it. I would imagine that's how the opening was seen in the first place
>>
>>51291265
Make it more clear what each side's objective is. How is guarding a bar railroading?

If it's just a straight-up deathmatch for whatever reason, my money's on the fighter. He's likely to win initiative and make at least four attacks, possibly up to nine attacks, and they could all be enhanced by Sharpshooter and still hit. If they do manage to grapple him and keep him prone, they may slow down the rate at which they die, but each individual barbarian who dies slows the rate at which they can damage him.
>>
>>51291431
Not really a fan of shields at all, always found the sword and board type of characters to be incredibly dull.
Reason I figured Battlemaster is that we're going to play SKT which from what I've heard, has a lot of giants.

Being able to trip/disarm/push etc would be welcome CC since the other characters we have thus far are a barbarian and two artificers.

I was thinking of using a whip since it'd grant me a bit extra range, would it still be benificiary to just go like 90% fighter for the extra attack in that case?
Will be trying to fit into a rogue role since we basically have no caster nor rogue in the party.
>>
>>51291493
There is something that can help you, a 3 page pdf with tables and the most important rules. I'm ob my phone and I cant post it, maybe another will be kind enough to post it
>>
>>51291475
>>51291440
>>51291364
>>51291354
>>51291338
>>51291336
Thanks ^^
>>
>>51291517
Not necessarily true at all. You could spot the opening and then go in for the strike.
>>
>>51291520
Shield Master can spice up sword and board, essentially getting you a slightly worse equivalent to two battlemaster maneuvers
>>
>>51291535
Is it your first time with this DM? If so, dont play warlocks or monks
>>
>>51291517
In 5e and with enough movement remaining, you could travel away from the fight, would you eat an AO doing this? Cos then the Acrobatics check would come in handy.
>>
What is the minimum required distance moved for a flying creature to stay aloft if there is one? Cause the one paragraph isn't very specific with whether a flying creature's only difference between a hovering creature's is that the hovering stays in place when it gets knocked out.
>>
>>51291558
Aye, but I'd give up the extra range for +2 AC or somesuch?

I'd still be hit like 9/10 times seeing as our DM is notorious for rolling good, and still get 6d6+whatever to the face.
Would it not safer to build around higher effective range+ higher initial nova to reduce the threat of getting blown up?
Or am I just retarded and being too scared of giants?
>>
>>51291519
To be honest the objective isn't important. It's more some theory junk about a low level party killing a high level, which has turned into 'if it's a caster, see if you can silence them and bind them up, or if it's a weapon user take away their weapon and ability to unarmed strike'
There was talk somewhere about a DM always putting in ridiculously high level NPCs in places. It's not strict railroading, but it's kind of obnoxious and takes away certain options from the player / makes them think 'why don't we get him to beat up all the monsters?'

>likely to win initiative
He'll have, what, +3 over the barbarians when there's six barbarians he has to beat?

If the barbarians disarm him, that's it. He can't do any more damage unless he gets that crossbow back somehow or obtain a new weapon. That'll be very hard once they start getting knocked prone and grappled. They can try improvized weapons while they can still move to pick improvized weapons up, but those are only 1d4 damage most likely against resistance.

Even if he wins initiative and makes 9 attacks, the barbarians might be scale mail with 14 dex to give them 16 AC, they're making +6 to-hit rolls... 11/20 attacks will hit, but they need to hit two attacks to kill a barbarian- unless they're not raging, in which case they're fucking dead. I suppose I'd have to say they rage just before they initiate combat.

I guess it does rely on winning initiative, but he's unlikely to 'win' it.
>>
>>51291550
I suppose you're right, but it wasn't the scenario I intended
>>51291589
This is drifting away from the whole "spot an opening in it's defenses" idea
>>
>>51291517
No you shit, that depends on the scenario. You don't get to make a blanket statement here.
>>
>>51291597
You're wielding a whip for the range right? why could you not wield a whip with the shield?
>>
>>51291607
>>51291519
So, yeah, disarming (no advantage from rage I believe) it's a 25% chance of success for a barbarian.
If they win initiative, they'll probably take out two barbarians with sharpshooter and action surge, leaving four left.
Once disarmed, grappling and proning is a 35% chance since they have advantage.

I think it could go either way, really, if he can get a good initiative roll and get some of them dead before they can even start trying to subdue him.
>>
>>51291609
Then your scenario is boring and stale and the mechanics aren't.

>This is drifting away from the whole "spot an opening in it's defenses" idea
If enough movement remains, and you want to put distance between your character and the enemy, this is absolutely something to do and can be done as part of the attack routine.
>>
>>51291622
You have a point, I could do so.
I might come off as autistic here.. but this ends up in the same problem I have with shield+quarterstaff, can't really deal with how dumb it'd look. Background-wise he's also more of a ranger type of character, so shield is a bit strange.
>>
First time DM

I stressed one of my players out of session
He is a warlock, 17 cha and 13 con, he has 14 dex, 9 Int, 9 cha and 10 str.

I told him what stats do, he has 14 AC with light armor, devils sight and darkness for sneak attacks with eldritch bolt.

He then tells (lies) to me about true strike advantage with scorching ray will kill anyone. So I look at true strike and it says one roll. He says it works on all the rolls

Is it fair for true strike to do that?
>>
>>51291646
>Then your scenario is boring and stale and the mechanics aren't.
It's like 80% of the typical combat encounter for a melee class
>>
>>51291596
With a flight speed you can just hover in place, but if you, say, lose the flight speed or control, you'll fall and take damage.
>>
File: GnollWhipShieldFighter.jpg (83KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GnollWhipShieldFighter.jpg
83KB, 714x1000px
>>51291651
It's not at that dumb looking
>>
>>51291666
Then your combat encounters are shit. Have better encounters. Do more in each of them, include more stuff in each of them.
Don't be a lazy shit and blame it on the system.
>>
>>51291665
>So I look at true strike and it says one roll.
>He says it works on all the rolls
One of these is right, and one is wrong, anon.
Here is a protip from a long time GM of many games: NEVER let a player think they can bully you into getting their way. YOU run shit, what you say goes, and that is how it remains so long as you wear the DM hat.
If the book says "one roll", and you want it to be one roll, then it is one roll, and he can eat a fat cock.
>>
>>51291665
It doesn't apply to all rolls as you said, but as for whether it's fair..

I'd say it is fair. True strike requires an entire action and concentration - a monster can knock the concentration out of them. It's already underpowered. What they're doing is conserving spell efficiency by taking 2 rounds to cast a single spell except with advantage. The spell won't be twice as powerful, however.

As long as they're not doing some weird shit to cast it as a bonus action then making 10 attacks, I'd probably say it's allowable.
>>
>>51291678
Hm, you have a point, I'll take it into consideration.

Still leaves me with the choice of how to build. My gut feeling tells me to try to build for as much nova damage as I can since the faster you murder shit = the less damage it can deal out, and I am pretty sure that giants in general are fairly lethal.

If I play to my strengths and manage to set up surprise rounds, I'm guessing fighter3/rogueX will be better.
But there will undoubtedly be fights where I can't get a surprise to happen, which will favour fighter5/rogueX..

I'm guessing fighter 5 will be the "safe" bet, even though it'll just deal like 1d4+6 assuming a dex mod of +4.
>>
>>51291705
>Is a player
>tells him to put more shit in the encounter
>>
>>51291726
Then, again, like I already said, the DM is shit.
If your turn at DMing doesn't include those options, then you are shit and you don't get an excuse.
>>
>>51291722
Getting an extra attack over +1d6 SA is better for damage output. the attack will deal more alone and being able to make a second attack is extra inurance that you can land a sneak attack that round in case your first strike misses
>>
>>51291520
It's not any less dull than anything else. No matter what, you're either using two-weapon-fighting, a ranged weapon or sword and board for a rogue. Two-weapon-fighting hardly does any more damage and consumes your bonus action you want, a ranged weapon is perfectly fine if you want to go ranged but otherwise you'll probably want to go sword and board.

Being able to shove enemies prone gives you and your teammates advantage if they're attacking within 5ft - don't have sneak attack? Shove them, you now have advantage.

I still wouldn't suggest 11 levels of fighter, but 5 levels of fighter is practically a must if you're going rogue for the other levels.

Just realized though, shield master's other feature is basically a worse version of evasion and is completely unnecessary. Guess you get +2 dex saves though.
>>
>>51291759
Aye, also realized that two attacks will give me more CC capabilities through Maneuvers.

However, defensive-wise, fighter/3 and then into rogue would probably be a bit better.
Seeing as I can utilize my bonus actions to disengage freely and give me a lot more mobility, aswell as Expertise to boost two of my skills.

Would it be feasible to go fighter3/rogue3 and then another two levels of fighter?
I'd delay my extra attack and ASI, but it would mean a lot more defense/utility.

Sorry if I seem a tad retarded, just trying to wring the most overall use out of this build. We will most likely have fairly decent damage either way due to the barbarian and artificers.
>>
>>51291769
Aye, also realized the extra maneuvers you can shove into a round with an extra attack.

Still stuck at >>51291810, what'll be the most overall benefit to me and the rest of the party.
>>
>>51291810
Seems reasonable. waiting two levels might suck if your game moves slow, but rogues get by their whole careers without extra attack so I guess it's okay
>>
>>51291810
>>51291834
Generally you want to aim for 5 in one class first.

Rogue gives you uncanny dodge, which is great for defence and pushes you up to 3d6.
Fighter gives you an extra attack, more damage

You can take a more even split if you'd like, but 5 in one of the classes is your best bet.
>>
>>51290931
With the caster MP die are they also adding their casting stat mod to the point pool like con for HP?
>>
>>51291607
His initiative is only a little better, but his Acrobatics is much, much better than their Athletics, especially if he's a champion. While the barbarians are wasting actions trying to grab him, he's killing somewhere between one and three barbarians a turn.

Disarming, aside from being an optional rule that we shouldn't even assume is in effect here, does not end your ability to do damage. The fighter can keep killing them with unarmed attacks alone, he can take the Escape action and still kill a couple of barbarians on the same turn with Action Surge, and it's quite likely that the fighter has backup weapons on him. He could quite reasonably draw a new dagger at the beginning of each round he will require to slaughter the barbarians.
>>
Is single-leveling any good? Or is it multiclassing all the way?
>>
>>51291871
Hm, fair point. Fighter would probably give the most benefit to the party in that case since I can fit more maneuvers into a round if need be.
Though it'd come at the cost of my own survivability.

Though since I am going to use a whip, I'll probably still have a bit more survivability than most since I have a longer reach, which means I won't have to bury myself into a monsters ass to damage him.

Thanks for the help thus far guys, I really appreciate it. Mostly ever played casters so my brain is a bit stuck on utility and avoiding damage.
>>
>>51291902
>The fighter can keep killing them with unarmed attacks alone
How are his unarmed attacks not sucking shit?
>>
>>51291889
No. It's to avoid bloating it further.
Sometimes simpler is better.
>>
>>51291911
Multiclassing is usually a bad idea.
>>
>>51291925
They're not that great, but he has four of them, eight if he Action Surges
>>
>>51291941
Why's that?
>>
>>51291911
most capstones suck, so 1-2 levels in something else is reasonable. MCing more than 2 in a second class or MCing before you reach 5 in your main class enters the territory of fucking yourself in the ass.
But some people enjoy that feeling, so go ahead.
>>
>>51291911
There's literally no reason not to multiclass 99% of the time.
>>
>>51291902
>acrobatics is much better
That has already been calculated. As I said, in a contest of athletics versus acrobatics, the barbarians have a 1/3 chance of winning, including the fact that a tie means nothing happens.

His unarmed attacks do literally no damage at all.
>1 bludgeoning, halved to 0

Also, without using action surge, he's unlikely to kill more than one barbarian in a turn. He'll make 5 attacks, of less than half will hit if they've gone for shields (They might as well go scale mail + shield actually and use the shields as improvized weapons to beat him with) and of which they need to hit two attacks in order to kill them (Even if he crits he can't kill one straight away).

Disarming is a rule in the DMG, and it's absurd not to allow any way to disarm an opponent if you can also grapple them and prone them. That's like saying 'Okay, you've got him completely pinned down, but he can somehow still load his crossbow and fire it at all of you'.
At the very least he won't be able to load his weapon and has to use it as an improvized 1d4 weapon.

It's also fairly reasonable the barbarians could take away the daggers from his pockets or something, and if he does get a round of daggers he'd only do a bit less than 15 damage on an average round against their AC, which isn't enough to kill them before he's fully relieved of his weapons.
>>
>>51291949
A dex fighter is doing 1 damage with an unarmed attack. Maybe 2-3 if he put points into strength for armor. So he's dishing out 4-12 damage in a round.
>>
>>51291911
Varies a lot.

Quite often, a bit of multiclassing can strengthen, but generally you never want to go more than a 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 level dip into a class.

A wizard works well with single classing for example, but they might want a single level of fighter to start with for +4 HP and a load more AC as well as different proficiencies.
>>
>>51292005
>Disarming is a rule in the DMG, and it's absurd not to allow any way to disarm an opponent if you can also grapple them and prone them.
I've played with at least 3 GMs who did not allow it without the BM maneuver.
Being a grappler is hell.
>>
>>51291952

The classes are well-designed and powerful. Anything you hack together with muticlassing will be at best as powerful as a base class, and more likely not as good. You can try some cheesy paladin/warlock/sorcerer nonsense, and maybe squeeze out a couple more damage per round, but it's really kind of pointless compared to just playing your class like a normal person.

I mean, do whatever makes you happy. But multiclassing is not necessary in 5e.
>>
>>51290451
depends on the party desu
>>
File: 1484236036006.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1484236036006.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>51292060
>The classes are well-designed and powerful
>>
>>51292035
>>51291911
Okay, I worded that slightly wrong.

Most good multiclasses are either 1 level dips or 5 level dips. There're a few odd ones that might be level 11 in something, level 7, 6, 2, etc..

But it's generally level 5 and level 1.

Warlock, sorcerer, rogue, barbarian, and fighter are the best for multiclassing, I'd say. Maybe a bit of paladin.

Generally the non-full-casters.

>>51292052
At the very least I would hope they let you do it if you grapple and prone them beforehand. It's a bit ridiculous othewise as they can slaughter everybody with a weapon you somehow can't get out of their hands while in such a vulnerable position.

Maybe disarming without the BM manoeuvre might be a bit much to be honest, considering it can conditionally shut down certain creatures completely.
>>
>>51291607

>They can't do any more damage

It's only going to take them one attack to kill a barbarian. If he goes first the barbarians will probably die.
>>
>>51291952
The class balance is designed so that everyone goes up in power according to their class level. MCing largely does not blend the progression of multiple classes very well, so a 3 fighter/3 wizard isn't actually equivalent to a 6 in either, but more like a 3 with some extra hp and proficiency
>>
>>51292082
Go cry about PF somewhere else.
>>
>>51292116
>>51292060
>>51291941
Do you actually play this game or have you just picked up the general gist of how things work by posting on /5eg/? Serious question.
>>
File: VI3rE3M.jpg (574KB, 1038x1600px) Image search: [Google]
VI3rE3M.jpg
574KB, 1038x1600px
So, I need help with a Cleric. Trying to build towards a kind of battlefield medic archetype in play, but I'm struggling to find a Diety that is about Life and War that isn't also catholic or some kind of murder god. Any orders or cults that are all about duty and guardianship without the charity and the moralizing? what would that church look like?

secondly, any advice on roleplaying the godly? Writing this character up as the 4th son of a noble house who was enlisted in the clergy to invalidate his familial claims, instead of a zealot or the most holy, but do you have to be on intimate terms with the gods to get your powers? Is it possible to play someone who's faith is in the bureaucracy and order of the church and its duties on earth while never really dealing with the high planes?

lastly, is it at all possible to heal party members using medicine and a herbalist's pouch or is everybody in the world of DnD just slugging health potions and casting spells on each other?

should I just give up and play a fighter?

thanks
>>
>>51292098
He does 1d6+15 damage with a +6 to hit.

That's a 9/20 chance to hit, and the barbarians have an effective 30 HP when you consider resistance.

No matter what he rolls or if he crits, it takes 2 shots at 9/20 chance each to take out a barbarian. Even if he makes 9 attacks straight away, he'll probably take out only two barbarians turn one.

Barbarians use rage before they initiate combat. I'll assume they can't also use the dodge action before combat starts, though.
>>
>>51292091
>Maybe disarming without the BM manoeuvre might be a bit much to be honest, considering it can conditionally shut down certain creatures completely.
See, this is the logic that leads to so many GMs saying "no disarming outside maneuvers"
But if it's so OP, why is a BM allowed to do it at all? If the game can tolerate it from them, why not someone else?
>>
>>51292129
Are you autistic? Serious question.
>>
>>51292149
I'll take that as a no.
>>
>>51292129
Playing the game is what taught me MCing will fuck you in the ass. It's not even obvious how bad it does till you actually try it
>>
>>51292148
They have to be a fighter, and they need their utilities to shut down enemies when wizards already have stuff like hold person.

It's overpowered but situational. It requires a target who can't just get another weapon, doesn't use natural weapons, etc. But, as being shown, certain people such as a dex fighter can be completely shut down if they lose their weapon - their unarmed strikes can only do 1 damage, and improvized weapon does 1d4 damage. No bonuses.

>>51292168
Just what kind of multiclass did you try?
>>
>>51292162
So you are severely autistic.
>>
>>51292142

>+6 to hit
Think it's +7

>when you consider resistance

I imagine by this time the man has a magic weapon. Even then, the fighter has so much more HP and healing, and you can escape grapples with Acrobatics right?
>>
>>51292168
You should try playing a class other than the Sorcerer.
>>
>>51292162
I'm none of those guys, have you actually played the game?

What is it about their opinions that you find so insulting?
What you're doing is screeching
>>
>>51292180
Something that didn't have extra attack until lvl 10
>>
>>51290493
There's a sewer hole in the lower left torture chamber, which is also the deepest part of the dungeon. I guess it's drilled all the way to the Underdark.
>>
>>51292209
Theses are the same people who plan their character to level 20.
>>
>>51290320
Can someone unban me from the discord? I was the guy who made like 5 accounts all pretending to be Lyndoodle at once. Was just fucking around. pls
Username is netnei, tag is 2647
>>
>>51290320
Is there a Dungeonology scan anywhere? Been wanting that for a while now.
>>
>>51292203
+5 dex, +6 proficiency, -5 sharpshooter.
But actually it should probably be +8 because of archery, now I think about it.

You can escape grapples with acrobatics, but it takes a full action for every grapple, so at best they might be able to action surge and get lucky to escape two grapples at once and stand.

I suppose you could give him a magic weapon. It'll only make it easier to hit the barbarians though, the +damage won't help at all. So, maybe a +2 to hit on top of archery and he's got +10 to hit again, which means 13/20 chance ofh hitting. He'll kill faster, but the question is how long he can keep that weapon.

>>51292217
I don't know how you manage to do that, considering you only need 5 class levels in one class unless it's something like bard. And even then, you just focus the class that gives extra attack first with a small dip in the other and then go up the other. Or don't do certain multiclasses that suck.

>>51292248
>made like 5 accounts
>>
>>51292256
>I don't know how you manage to do that, considering you only need 5 class levels in one class unless it's something like bard
It's easy, just pick one class without it and level them equally
>>
>>51292246
What are you even arguing? Make sense.

>>51292249
Pop ups don't scan well, or can't be scanned. Buy it.
>>
>>51292282
Is there anything in it that I'd need to know mechanically? Like new trap types or monster types? If not, I'll just give it a pass. I've only been grabbing supplements if they have something in them I might need to know.
>>
>>51292256

>It'll only make it easier to hit the barbarians

isn't barbarian damage resistance against non-magical b/s/p?
>>
>>51292281
Then, you're doing it wrong.

Multiclassing isn't supposed to be for people who don't know what they're doing, and multiclassing requires you to have a bit of a plan first because not all levels are equal in value.

For example, paladin's level 5, 6 and 11 are pretty valuable, or 7 for oathbreaker's broken extra IDS

A wizard's level 5 is good because they get 2 level 3 spell slots at that point, and level 3 spells are much stronger than level 2 or 1 - you get fireball for 8d6 save only halves when before you could maybe cast scorching ray for 3x 2d6 against one target.
>>
>>51292323
That is exactly what I was pointing out in >>51292116
>>
>>51292052
As a DM, I find grappling to be a boring and annoying solution to combat being boring. Not that I ban it or anything, that's just my opinion.
>>
>>51291852
>>51291871
Follow-up question; our DM has just stamped his approval on monstrous races.

How would playing a bugbear change up the build? Just found it in Volo's when checking out some playable races.
Gives me a whopping 15 feet range if using a whip and the extra 2d6 on surprise attack surely would favor assassin, would it not?

Or would it still be better to go 5 fighter in order to give me a higher chance to land a surprise/sneak attack?
>>
>>51292256
Can the fighter be an eldritch knight? Then he can just cast Fireball centered on himself, boom, he's got enough HP to no-sell it and the barbarians are all well-done. Now we can end this stupid argument that depends upon an optional rule that hardly anyone uses.
>>
>>51292348
It is boring, but at least less boring than just attacking. The game just deceives you into thinking it's well supported by giving it two feats
>>
>>51292336
Your objectively wrong though, a Warlock 1/Paladin 5 is stronger than a 6 Paladin, every class has at least one other class that synchronises with another that dipping into it produces better results than not multiclassing.
>>
>>51292321
Magical weapons don't bypass that. They only bypass things like war cleric's capstone or heavy armour mastery or ones that specifically state non-magical damage.

>>51292351
It does make getting assassin earlier sound like an even better idea. I might recommend going
>1 level of fighter
>5 levels of rogue
>4 levels of fighter
>2 levels of rogue
>rest rogue
It's still hard to get assassinate's crit, but it really develops the surprise ambush nova style.

>>51292353
The bigger concern there is that the eldritch knight has a thing that prevents them from being potentially disarmed.

The whole point of this is to prove that level 1s can beat ridiculously high level characters if the DM feels like bullshitting them.
>>
>>51292421
No, a paladin 6 is stronger.

They get aura of protection.
Warlock's level 1 feature doesn't compare to that.

Warlock3/Paladin11 is probably stronger than Paladin14 however.

Warlock's key level for a dip from paladin is level 3.
>>
>>51291124
I don't want to TPK them, just rough em up a bit

>>51292080
Circle of earth Druid, wizard, UA beast master ranger, pact of the tome warlock, SCAG fighter
>>
How would you become superhuman in 5e or go about redesigning the system to become superhuman or are you just limited to super endurance?
>>
>>51292438
That does actually sound pretty reasonable. I'd postpone my overall party utility until a bit later, but that'd coincide fairly well with us facing giants since I'm pretty sure they'll start popping up at later levels so I'd have the maneuvers about when I need them.

First level fighter dip will give me the proficiencies I'll need a long with a bit of extra tankyness to survive Rusty Shank Town levels and it'll also give me the skills needed to fill the "rogue spot" of our party since I'd get Expertise and whatnot by level 3 aswell as some extra mobility/survivability through Cunning Action

Seems like what I'll go for unless there's a better build distribution. This seems to fit really well however.

Cheers for the tips!
Really appreciate the help I've gotten thus far.
>>
I know you can have climb speed and flight speed, but is there anything like 3.5s burrow speed? I want to remake my "earth bender" character, and me burrowing and erupting in the middle of the enemy group as a surprise was the big theme of the character.
>>
>>51292469
Allow players feats of superhuman capability using skills rolls. Athletics to jump further.

>>51292488
Oh, just remembered, starting rogue instead of fighter means you get +1 skill, but lose 1 HP and heavy armour proficiency. Not that it matters too much unless you have strength to spare for heavy armour.
>>
>>51292504
>>51292488
Whoops
>wouldn't want heavy armour anyway because that gives stealth disadvantage which is REALLY BAD considering you want assassinate
If one of your other party members is a shadow monk / druid / ranger / something, make sure they get pass without trace.
>>
>>51292504
>>51292518
True that. I also get free sneak skill from Bugbear themselves, so starting fighter will probably work out the best.
>>
>>51292348
>>51292393
Players are dumb and think that grappling is an alternative to fighting. I have a player who brought a Strength-based grapple rogue to the table, spent every combat doing nothing but grabbing shit, and

Grabbing is good for two things: grabbing a flying monster you're leaping toward so that you can get more than just one attack on it in passing, and carrying and dropping someone into a pit or some other kind of deadly terrain. Grabbing and shoving as part of your ordinary combat routine is dull and usually a lot worse than just attacking.
>>
>>51292438
One very particular badly-built level 20 character with no friends. How often is that going to come up?.
>>
>>51292583
The only time I used grapple or shove in 5e so far has been to grab a guy in a bar fight and intimidate him and then there was the time that I shoved one guy down some stairs, bowling him over into all of his friends. Other than that, yeah, they're kind of useless.
>>
>>51292137
>but do you have to be on intimate terms with the gods to get your powers? Is it possible to play someone who's faith is in the bureaucracy and order of the church and its duties on earth while never really dealing with the high planes?
You'd have to ask your DM. I prefer playing them that way too, though, and I'd be put off with a DM who insisted otherwise.

>lastly, is it at all possible to heal party members using medicine and a herbalist's pouch or is everybody in the world of DnD just slugging health potions and casting spells on each other
Healer's Kit with the Healer feat.
>>
player wants to do kaioken

>monk
3rd level
Increases physical abilities far beyond their normal limits, costs 1 ki per turn per level.
Increases the maximum dex/str limit by 2, for each level
Increases dex/str by their normal modifier(14 = +2 Kaioken) per level (14 = +4 for 3x kaioken, 6 for x4)
You may add both new str and dex to martial arts attack and damage rolls.
Increases movement by 30 ft.
Suffer 1d8 damage per turn. Extra 1d8 per level. When kaioken wears off, you suffer exhaustion stages equal to the level.
>>
I'm playing an Arcana Cleric, and I want a familiar

Should I go for Magic Initiate, or Ritual Caster Wizard? There sure is a shit ton of useful stuff dumped in the wizard rituals, but them cantrips man...
>>
I have a thought.

We saw the revival of Favored Soul through an outright modification to the Sorcerer Class.

Should we see the return of the Warmage in a similar fashion? Or should it become a Wizard Tradition?
>>
Something I hate about travel, whether it's hex crawls or handwaved travel:

>players decide where to go
>"okay, things happen"
>players "okay, we respond to things"
>"okay, things resolved"
>players decide where to go
>repeat

No matter what I try, I can't think of any way to make travel go more smoothly. Combat and dungeons amd RP have more of a flow to them, more of a back and forth, but travel always feels so stilted.
>>
>>51292698
Grab it via magic initiate.
Don't delay your cleric levels for a familiar.
>>
>>51292596
A retired NPC that no longer adventures yet hangs around to be an obnoxious level 20 that'll whiteknight and get in the way of the players is a possibility.
I got on about this in the first place because somebody somewhere said there was a running thing where the DM would put a high level NPC running the bar or something, retired adventurers. Retired adventurers don't need to be with their friends 24/7.
Personally, I've also suffered from something like this, but it's really not hard to get one of them somewhere alone since they're unlikely to fear you.

They're not badly built, they're exactly what you'd expect of a dex ranger fighter, really. They're just not a wizard, which would become a battle of trying to prevent the wizard from casting somatic/verbal component spells.

Of course you're going to lose if you get in a fight with an entire level 20 adventuring party at level 1.
>>
>>51292825
I had a nuclear winter campaign, and they had to manage food and firewood. It added a little more to traveling.
>>
>>51292825
Isn't that pretty much the entire game? The whole point is how they respond and how things resolve
>>
>>51290363
It doesn't. It clearly has a drainage system, but it only fully drains at a certain time of the year. If you spend too long down there, you'll be in trouble without water breathing.
>>
>>51292825
Treat traveling as a part of a dungeon.
Maybe there are some goblin or kobold packs on patrol, maybe there are hidden secrets only rangers/skilled survivalists could pick up on that leads to a stash?
Maybe stat up a monster that only hunts during the day, but is considerably dangerous so the party has to travel by night?

I mean there are a lot of things you can do with traveling, best way is to just think of it as a dungeon and add/subtract what you feel is necessary to make it interesting.
>>
>>51292864
Yeah, that sort of stuff is cool, but it's still locked into that one by one process.

>>51292901
What I'm complaining about is the stiltedness of it. Like I said, combat and RP go more smoothly (even though combat is literally structured into turns).

It's like you have a dungeon where everything happens in a room, then you move to the next room. More things happen there. Then you go to the next room.

Rather than one cohesive, say, castle, with interconnecting rooms and various elevations, and monsters moving from one room to another, and backtracking, and that whole "flow" that makes a dungeon feel like more than a disconnected series of encounters.

But you can't just shoehorn that structure into travel, because there IS a separation between rooms - miles and miles of separation.

And I can't figure out how to make it more satisfying to me.
>>
>>51292972
>players are being tracked across miles
>players must track their targets across miles
>players enter towns and receive notices of occurrences miles away they may have to detour to/around
>laws/patrols/banditry change as players enter new territories, and the trends continue within those borders
>objectives are spread out in multiple places over a large territory
>>
>>51292972
There really isn't a huge difference between a door that connects rooms of a dungeon and 20 miles of wilderness that connects two outdoor encounters. They're both just lines on a flow chart that the PCs are navigating to get to a single objective. Why do they seem so different for you?
>>
File: 1426563156652.png (2MB, 755x977px) Image search: [Google]
1426563156652.png
2MB, 755x977px
Pixie familiar for a fey pack chain lock?

would require an taking a custom eldritch invocation to summon the pixie, and the pixie would only be able to cast spells of the same casting level of the warlock, so no polymorph, confusion, or fly at level 3.

What do you guys think? to me it doesn't seem too much more powerful than a tome lock with their unique invocation.
>>
>>51292972
>It's like you have a dungeon where everything happens in a room, then you move to the next room. More things happen there. Then you go to the next room.

>Rather than one cohesive, say, castle, with interconnecting rooms and various elevations, and monsters moving from one room to another, and backtracking, and that whole "flow" that makes a dungeon feel like more than a disconnected series of encounters.

The point, then, is to have the wilderness be interconnected and dynamic. Sites that are related to each other, change owners, and evolve.

So you might have to have more travel around the same region, not one-off long-distance journeys to get that feel.
>>
>>51292698
Just remember that the cantrips you grab from MI should be utility spells, since they won't use your primary casting bonus. I like the flavor that ritual caster offers to arcana clerics, but in practice you might find that opportunities to add new spells to the book are scarce.
>>
>>51293110
I only give my warlock a talking rock familiar.
And all it says is "should've picked wizard"
>>
>>51293110
It's way more powerful than tome lock's invocation. You're effectively getting two bonus spells of each spell level you can cast. Potentially more if you dismiss your familiar and summon a new one.
>>
How come we don't have a 1d8 Slashing Finesse weapon?
>>
>>51293236
>Dismiss pixie
>Summon again
>Still me boss, kind of racist you didn't even recognize me to be honest.
>>
>>51293236
But the pixies spells only refresh daily, unlike the locks spells after a shortest.
Also wouldn't allow the summoning/dismissing exploit, it would just be the same pixie.

What would you suggest to make it more balanced?

requiring a feat as well as an invocation?
then its similar to a tomelock with magic intiate
>>
>>51290468
Scuba skeli scuba skeli

>>51292220
Best idea.
Though that could result in the local water table draining into the under dark completely
>>
>>51292972

I know exactly what you mean, and I found that having your own setting helps.

I had this same problem and I just wrote small paragraphs to just give a more detailed description about the area they were traveling through. Sometimes the players would hear something that made them think something important was nearby and they'd ask to investigate it, which let me usually invent a little activity like a skill check leading to an item or something to stick in there.

It wasn't perfect but it didn't feel so clumsy and the players got a little world-building, which they probably would have ignored in most other situations.
>>
File: casualdwarf.jpg (22KB, 382x308px) Image search: [Google]
casualdwarf.jpg
22KB, 382x308px
>>51290363
Dwarf here.
We're clearly looking at a tiny island on a slow-moving river. Over the long centuries that your human lives have difficulty counting, clay particulates have settled at the bottom of the river and formed mudstone and shale, impermeable sedimentary rocks that would allow for the construction of a mostly-dry dungeon down below. The dungeon isn't deep enough to have hit the water table yet.

I question the designer's choice of spiral staircase, but building eastward was a smart move based on the relative youth of the western portion of the river's flow and its proximity to shore (allowing for tunneling in).
>>
>>51293237
just reskin a rapier.
>>
>>51293428
I didn't know dwarves shot 70s porno flicks
>>
>>51293383
Solving two problems in one blow. No more stabby demon-worshipping elves in the underdark, and as a bonus your dwarves can now build an impressive fort.
>>
>>51291405
3.PF

Pathfinder and 5e

nWoD

nWoD

AdEva

Willpower from nWoD

Nothing, D&D has become cancer, even if I still enjoy it immensely.
>>
File: dwarvendriller.png (327KB, 393x317px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvendriller.png
327KB, 393x317px
>>51293488
That's not surprising; it's a pretty underground scene.

On the subject of drilling, let me just say that all you manlings talking about "must have been magic in its construction" or "the party has to be careful lest they hit a wall and cause a flood", you're way off base. What do they teach you in your human schools? Do you even have schools? This is what happens when your economy revolves around shit that comes out of the topsoil.
>>
Does anyone have that copypasta of the guy with the coil-powered dwarf trains?
>>
>>51291930
That doesn't feel intuitive though. It should take into account someone building their character.

Why wouldn't an int caster who sacrificed say, HP or AC not receive a higher MP in return?
>>
>>51293619
Because if I build my Fighter to sacrifice HP, AC, and/or AB/Dam, I don't mysteriously gain magical powers.

Most casters gain more prepared spells / day by increasing their casting modifiers. There's your increased magical power outside of DCs.
>>
I missed my parties session last night because of life stuff.
Am I a bad person? Does this aching feeling go away
>>
>>51293652
You have set into motion a chain of events that may well lead to the dissolution of your game. Repent now and beg forgiveness. Your worldly woes will still be there tomorrow.
>>
>>51293619
But if you're putting less into con for STR, then you're more specialized in the role you've chosen to play. You could certainly choose magical powers if you so chose.

If a druid doesn't max their Wis and instaed wants to play Frontline, they shouldn't have the same available mp as a max Wis druid. That.would be unbalanced
>>
>>51291431
Wouldn't the barbarians do 4 a punch 1+3str?
>>
>>51293727

Rage damage.
>>
>>51293652
>>51293665
>started with 7 people in our group
>1 person stayed home one day
>week later another one does
>now missing one person every week
>then 2 people dont show
>then 3 people dont show up because they are all going out to buy drugs
>game cancle one week because only 2 people and the dm showed for it.
>now its been 2 weeks since we had a game because me the one guy and the dm are the only ones not busy anymore
>>
File: Copper_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg (179KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
Copper_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg
179KB, 640x467px
Thinking of reintroducing a Copper's Killing Joke for 5e, except he tells the joke over several rounds whilst doing other stuff.

What'd be a good, decently sized joke to outright murder someone with?

Currently thinking The Aristocrats...
>>
>>51291405
>>favorite edition of DnD
5e
>>edition you play the most currently
5e
>>favorite non-DnD system
FFG Star Wars or Mongoose Traveller
>>non-DnD system you play the most currently
FFG Star Wars
>>what system you most want to play next but aren't playing now
The One Ring
>>what mechanic / rule you most wish DnD would take from your favorite non-DnD system
Not really sure
>>what mechanic / rule you most wish your favorite non-DnD system would take from DnD
Again, not sure
>>
File: 1481637303453.png (151KB, 449x442px) Image search: [Google]
1481637303453.png
151KB, 449x442px
>>51293788
>everyone shows up but the NEET
>he fell asleep
>>
>>51294055
mfw one of my friends is like this.
Turned up to maybe 2 or 3 sessions in our current game, out of 12+. Most of the time he never lets us know until we're already waiting for him, saying something like "too tired" or "have to help out in the house".
>>
>>51291405
>favorite: 4E
>playing most: 5E
>favorite non-DnD: Call of Cthulhu
>non-DnD playing most: Edge of the Empire
>want to play next: Ryuutama
>>
>>51291149
This. My DM let me roll intimidation all the time when I played barb and was doing some bloodthirster shit.
>>
>>51290812

i like this flavor.

In 5e werewolves are immune to any stabbing/smashing from non silvered weapons and that just seems stupid... I guess you can flavor it as their wounds instantly heal from simple weapons, but it feels cheap so i just changed it to resistant
>>
File: 1470365919870.jpg (120KB, 1110x504px) Image search: [Google]
1470365919870.jpg
120KB, 1110x504px
>>51293110
>people are still trying to cheese the game equating Pixies to other CR 1/4th creatures
Someone needs to make a homebrew all about summoning Pixies, Intellect Devours, and adding the Lycanthrope traits/weapon immunities to things without changing CR.
>>
>>51294055
I play with a guy like this. We'll sit around waiting for him, trying to call and everything. Then we got the idea to call his mother "Oh, he's asleep.".
Fucker turned on airplane mode to get out of playing with us.
>>
>>51294123
makes me grateful for the players I got. We all got lives, but at least people make it a point to call ahead should shit happen.
>>
>>51294137
Yeah. None of us would have minded if he'd begged out of a game, we all get tired sometimes. Leaving us hanging for almost an hour because you stay up playing World of Warcraft all night and then not even sending someone a text so we'll know not to wait up for you? Guy's an ass.
Let us know you won't be showing up and we'll just have the DM NPC your character for a day. It's fine.
>>
>>51294081

Primal Elements were fun. They mostly turned up with Elemental Lords.

Because it's kinda silly for the Lord of Fire to spend his time flailing ineffectually if he needs to deal with one of his own followers being an uppity little shit.

Player characters had access to it as well because well...it's not fun to be a PC and be completely shut down by a given foe. So stuff like the amazingly named 'Everything Burns!' (Exclamation mark part of the name) feat came into existence.
>>
File: sadschool.jpg (71KB, 669x552px) Image search: [Google]
sadschool.jpg
71KB, 669x552px
>>51294203
>4E had fun with Elemental Lords
>tfw 5E has an entire adventure based around their Evil wannabe-usurpers and never even mentions them
>>
Building a knife thrower.

DM is waiving the 'free object interaction' so can throw as many as I want. He is also letting daggers count for Archery Fighting Style and Sharpshooter. Any and all UA is allowed so long as it's not too broken. A dagger thrower is sub-optimal anyway so I'm looking to optimise the shit out of it. Point buy, got 16 Dex.

How's this for a build ->

Fighter Battlemaster 8 (+2 Dex, Sharpshooter, +2 Dex) TWF fighting style
UA Revised Ranger Hunter 3, Archery Fighting Style, Colossus Slayer
Assassin Rogue 11

Probably going to go Ftr 6 -> Ranger 3 -> Rogue 1 -> Ftr 2 -> Rogue rest...
>>
>>51290448
GMs don't need any more encouragement to not give their fighters +1 weapons.
>>
>>51294273
>posting a level 20 build

No fuck we barely got out of that argument the last time you're going to bring them back
>>
>>51294068
We have a player like this too, but we know what his character is like (basically, he's the murderhobo) so we just run him as a group.
>>
File: knifesoul.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
knifesoul.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>51294273
>building to 20
>three way multiclass
Let me save you a lot of time and headache.
>>
>>51294284
The campaign is likely going to go to 20. Am joining group of friends who have been playing a few sessions, so I am jumping in at level 6.
I don't really care about what happens after level 12, I am just wondering if my level 1-12 plan looks reasonable. Just gonna continue with rogue until 20...
>>
>>51294293
I already had a look at monk, I'm dead set on Battlemaster/Rogue. The Revised Ranger dip looks strong enough to give up some rogue levels on, as its really frontloaded.
>>
File: meat points.png (39KB, 594x217px) Image search: [Google]
meat points.png
39KB, 594x217px
>>51291102
No it isn't.
>>
>>51294340
>early on
>he says, planning on taking it at L E V E L S E V E N
>>
>>51294081
>In 5e werewolves are immune to any stabbing/smashing from non silvered weapons and that just seems stupid...
It is retarded. Flat immunity to physical damage is insane. Like how would dropping a building on a werewolf not kill it?

But yeah my DM changed it to resistance for non-magic/non-silvered weapons, normal damage for magic weapons, and vulnerability to silvered weapons. It plays a fuckton better.
>>
>>51294348
See >>51294319 - I'm starting at level 6. I feel like it's gimping myself to not take Ftr 5 for the extra attack, and I may as well take the extra ASI and go Ranger next level.
>>
>>51294347
>applying logic and realism to a rule that explicitly tells you how it works and why it is that way
>using that logic and realism to... reduce the amount of logic and realism of combat
>>
>>51290320
If you're allowed bullshit multiclasses I'd add in a level of shadow sorcerer, because no matter what it's overpowered.

Aside from that...

Well, you say it's suboptimal, but what you have there is basically a one-feat-less version of hand crossbow dex fighter. I wouldn't call it suboptimal at all if your DM lets you use archery and sharpshooter. Not broken, however.

You only need 5 levels of fighter. I suppose the 3 levels of ranger makes sense over taking 1d6 extra sneak die damage.
Assassin sounds kind of unnecessary, but if you're going for an assassin kind of character then go ahead. I might still suggest swashbuckler so you can move away from enemies and then throw stuff at them again.
>>
>>51294370
>>51294273
Mislinked.

As said, dipping into UA ranger is the same sort of bullshit as dipping into UA shadow sorcerer. Especially if you're comboing it with assassin's feature.
If you're going that far, you might as well go all the way and take all the single level dips of bullshit classes.
>>
>feat: weapon master
>during a short rest, choose either two weapons, or one weapon twice
>increase size of weapon dice (to max of 2d6)
>gain proficiency

Y/N
>>
>>51294370
>If you're allowed bullshit multiclasses I'd add in a level of shadow sorcerer, because no matter what it's overpowered.

I think even my DM would frown on that one.

>You only need 5 levels of fighter. I suppose the 3 levels of ranger makes sense over taking 1d6 extra sneak die damage.
Assassin sounds kind of unnecessary, but if you're going for an assassin kind of character then go ahead. I might still suggest swashbuckler so you can move away from enemies and then throw stuff at them again.

Assassin fits the concept. Is giving up an ASI for 2d6 sneak attack damage worth it? I also liked the idea of the extra manouvers and sup dice at level 7. I am thinking Trip Attack, Disarming Attack, Precision Attack, and I want to add in Riposte if possible for the off turn Sneak Attack.
>>
>>51294249

Well, 4e had it in it's 'Entirely focused on the elemental chaos' book. It also had a VERY strong Divine vs Primordial theme.

In 4e the Elemental Lords are mostly divided up between the Free Lords (Those who sided with the Gods over their own kind when their own kind started drawing on Demonic power to win the war) and the Lords of Elemental Evil (Those who were willing to grow the abyss and taint themselves with it's power because they were that desperate to win the war against the gods).

While the Lords of Elemental Evil are pretty universally dicks, the Free Lords are much more a mixed bag. Some are dickier than others, the common link between them is that they'd rather the world exist than work with the Abyss as the Primordial War was about 'The fuck did you do gods? What is this bullshit world thing? We liked it when everything was just raw elemental chaos'.

The current free lord of fire on the other hand is a pretty nice guy. His dad is Imix, THE Lord of Elemental Fire and Evil. Where his dad is the incarnation of fire in the form of eternal hunger, consuming all it touches, Zaaman Rule is it in it's much more metaphorical context. He's the spirit of courage and heroism and warmth. He spends his time in a remarkably humanoid look raiding the forces of evil and prince of persia-ing about. In part because few other fire elementals are willing to help deal with his now free father. Most would rather consume than inspire.

People bitch about 4e's point of light setting having a lot of blank space but I personally like it's books on the weirder areas of the setting (The feywild/elemental chaos books are fantastic)
>>
>>51294381
>As said, dipping into UA ranger is the same sort of bullshit as dipping into UA shadow sorcerer. Especially if you're comboing it with assassin's feature.
>If you're going that far, you might as well go all the way and take all the single level dips of bullshit classes.

The assassin auto crit is only vs 'surprised' creatures, and the rest is the same as Natural Explorer, you get the advantage from both Ranger and Assassin and they don't stack.
>>
>>51291098

Remember that you need a finesse or ranged weapon to get sneak attack. You can still use str with a finesse weapon
>>
>>51294408
Is there a 4e trove somewhere? I'm not opposed to mining past editions for ideas.
>>
>>51294293
This is terrible fuck off.
>>
>>51294454

I think so but I haven't seen 4e general in a few weeks so I can't find it myself. Sorry.
>>
>>51294407
Since you're a rogue-fighter sort of thing, you don't really need ASIs so much. Unlike a normal dex fighter, you don't need both sharpshooter and crossbow mastery. You can go variant human and you'd be at 18 dex by level 4, or 20 dex by the time you also have 4 levels in rogue or something.

If you put 8 levels in fighter, you might as well go for 11 for the additional extra attack.

>>51294447
You get advantage on initiative.
You need to win initiative to get assassin crits on surprise.
You need to win initiative on a normal round to get advantage. Oh, right, UA ranger gets an ability for that too. I suppose it's not too terrible, then.. But it's still a bit too powerful.

You know, actually, why don't you just go fighter1/ranger 5/rogue15? You get the samenumber of extra attacks, you just miss out on the battlemaster reaction attacks but you can use uncanny dodge instead. No action surge.. Hmm. I suppose you might still want to go up fighter anyway, but if your sneak attacks aren't worth much then it doesn't sound worth getting battlemaster.
>>
File: 1465965827375.gif (978KB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1465965827375.gif
978KB, 294x233px
>>51294273
>level 22 builld
>>
What are some meme-builds for the non-blade warlock?
Darkness+Devil's Sight+Cloak of the Bat+Agonizing Repelling Blast is the only one that I know of, but I could see minion of chaos and conjure fey pairing nicely with chains of carceri.
>>
File: Werewolf-Costumes-Pictures-10[1].jpg (252KB, 1000x1722px) Image search: [Google]
Werewolf-Costumes-Pictures-10[1].jpg
252KB, 1000x1722px
>Playing CoS
>Be Druid
>Pretty sure I have Lycanthropy
>No one in the party has access to Remove Curse for another 4 levels

Should I be worried? Or just run with it?
>>
>>51294395
No.

Gain a fighting style, it cannot be one you have already selected.
>>
>>51294516
Sorclock
Paladinlock
Tomelock for Shillelagh
Tomelock + the invocation for rituals and taking flyby advantage owl familiar
Bag of rats Fiendlock for free temp HP
>>
>>51294368
Explain what's happening to my character when a giant toad succeeds on an attack that lets them restrain my character as part of the attack and then swallow them on the next turn and start dealing acid damage, but their HP is high enough that neither of these are able to reduce them to zero. How lucky are they getting?
Assuming the opponent is human, if rolling below an opponent's AC is a miss and rolling above an opponent's AC is a miss, how does the GM describe a "hit" to the player so they know that they damaged it? If your response is that they shouldn't know if they hit it or not you should never attempt to GM.
D&D isn't even remotely close to a realistic game, there are other systems if you want to imagine a single arrow in the leg making your 10th level Barbarian drop to the ground sobbing like a baby and bleeding from an artery. This is capeshit and characters can eat blows from swords and axes without going down.
>>
File: Fuck Yeah 2.jpg (305KB, 800x783px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Yeah 2.jpg
305KB, 800x783px
>>51294454
>>51294491
https://mega.nz/#F!UsRUlLAR!-5YN6nV_QeOO97Gu6CE-sg

I take payment in both 2d waifus and 3dpd.
>>
>>51294517
Ask your DM out of game if you do.
Then roll with it.

>you turn into a wolf...but slightly differently than normal
>party member with highest PP is the only one to notice
>>
>>51294633
Also Necromancerlock for one billion skeletons using short rests for more minions all the time.
>>
>>51294516
Disguise-Self-and-Silent-Image-invocation-abuselock.
>>
Someone got the sheet of character options?
>>
File: Warforged Soldier.jpg (44KB, 382x742px) Image search: [Google]
Warforged Soldier.jpg
44KB, 382x742px
>>51294645
Thank you anon.

Her name is Beauty. She's an excellent cook and obeys orders without question.
>>
>>51294493
Thanks anon. I'm mainly wanting Hunter's mark and Colossus slayer and the Archery fighting style from ranger desu, so the one level dip doesn't appeal too much... My DM is quite strict about what is surprised or not so I'm not too worried.
>>
>>51294645
I don't care what anyone says, 4e was fun. The vampire class was the shit and I got to play as a pixie warlord Commander Stag, of the clan Beetle.
>>
Any more clean maps / dungeons like in the OP? Artwork as opposed to just boxes / numbers a plus.
>>
File: Remmy.jpg (30KB, 339x283px) Image search: [Google]
Remmy.jpg
30KB, 339x283px
>>51295022
4e was where I started in DnD, as a DM anyway. I never got to be a player, much like now.
>>
What kind of treasures would a scientist - wizard who's into making automata (both magical and mechanical) have in his safe?
>>
>>51295494
A gun that is an arm
>>
>>51295494
The computing unit of a Warforged.
>>
>>51295494
a clean rag that leaves any surface oily when used.
>>
File: IzzetGMFinal.jpg (60KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
IzzetGMFinal.jpg
60KB, 640x420px
>>51295500
That's actually really interesting. I was thinking of making a magic item that looks like pic related, to enhance casters somehow (something similar to the effects of Maximise Metamagic). I was considering breaking it into three parts for them to find all over this Wizard Tower.

Suggestions for what's needed to put it together to work, and what exactly it should be able to do?
>>
If, while blinded, attacks are made with disadvantage, what would be a good punishment if a player *just* got stabbed in one eye, or one eye was essentially blinded suddenly (flare of light, trauma, etc. etc. )
>>
>>51295494
Helm of Comprehending Languages
an unfinished, sculpted clay homunculus (unanimated)
Manual of Clay Golems
Rod of Rulership
>>
>>51295569
Lenticular Lattice of Focusing

An armlet that requires 3 unique, intricately crafted lenses to be set into it. Installing each fragile lens is a relatively difficult process, requiring a DC 10 Dexterity check - proficiency with tinker's or jeweler's tools applies. On a failed check, the lens is destroyed.

The armlet acts as an arcane focus. If each lens is successfully installed and the armlet completed, it allows an attuned spellcaster to focus down their area spells. Once per long rest, when casting a spell affecting an area they can activate the armlet to reduce the size of the area by 50%. If they do so, the number of damage dice for the spell are increased 50%. For example, the Fireball spell could be cast as a 10-foot-radius sphere dealing 12d6 damage, instead of the normal 20-foot radius and 8d6 damage.
>>
>>51295747
That's fucking perfect.
>>
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?511413-Why-the-aversion-to-impossiblity
What's your stance on this, 5eg?
>>
>>51295569
Proficiency in Tinker Tools, Alchemist Supplies, and a successful Arcana check (DC 15-ish) during along rest to reassemble it.

Requires attunement by a spellcaster. Has 5 charges, regains 1d4+1 charges daily at dawn. Spend 1 charge to apply the Heightened Spell sorcerous Metamagic to a spell you cast, 2 charges to cause a spell you cast of 1st-5th level to deal Maximum damage, rather than rolling. If you expend the last charge, the item cannot regain charges until refueled with alchemical reagents worth [set GP value].
>>
>>51295859
Thanks, I just came up with it
>>
>>51295620
Disadvantage.
>>
>>51295866
That guy is a shit GM.
"I want to kill it."
"You can't, it's impossible."
That's not how you do that, it should be:
"Okay, come up with a plan and I'll come up with a combat encounter for it."
Even if you then have him just get curbstomped by a boss that is immune to everything and deals 5d100 damage per attack after he planeshifts. Just never call it impossible.
Personally, if he had a good plan for killing a god, a good reason for wanting to kill a god, and a workable idea for what to do afterward, I would probably let him. Players coming up with grand plans and seeing them through is fun.
>>
>>51290331
Why? Some things can't be poisoned and that's fine, how would you poison a golem for example?
>>
File: medieval-hawkeye.jpg (559KB, 1500x2035px) Image search: [Google]
medieval-hawkeye.jpg
559KB, 1500x2035px
>>51290320
Can anyone give me some basic tips and strategy for getting the most out of archery in 5e?

I'm playing a melee and area of effect oriented eldritch knight, but the rest of my group decided they all wanted to play melee characters (we have six our of eight, seven if you include the That Guy's wildmage sorc who likes to stab things and dual wield). I'm really not getting anything out of it, and while its good to conserve spells as an EK, its getting to the point that I can't do much of anything before everyone else has to rest.

I don't have any cantrips or spells that help with ranged combat. I'll probably just hang back and shoot arrows until the other melee characters get too beaten to not rest, then make my way to the front and do what I was meant to do with saved spells, but in the meantime I need to know how to play this kind of character effectively. Not used to it at all.
>>
>>51295966

Poison the flow of magic within it, turning it black and rotten.
>>
>>51296032
Sounds like Necrotic damage with the poisoned condition attached, to me at least.
>>
>>51292438
>I might recommend going
>>1 level of fighter
>>5 levels of rogue
>>4 levels of fighter
>>2 levels of rogue
Oh look, a multiclassed character with extra attack at level 10.
>>
Bag of [x] holding

This bag can hold up to 500 pounds of [x], but weighs 15 pounds regardless of its contents. Retrieving an item from the bag requires an action. It can not be used to store things other than [x].
>>
a player has 20 character levels to spend on classes and multi classing right?
>>
>>51296048

Well, it was about removing immunity to the poisoned condition.

But yeah, for stuff like Golems and Undead I'd go with '5e made chi magic. Poisoning the opponent's chi is a LONG standing Wuxia trope. Golems and Undead have magic to poison'
>>
>>51296094
>>51296094
>>51296094
NEW THREAD
>>51296094
>>51296094
>>51296094
>>
>>51293562
Is this post really going to go unappreciated it? Well, I appreciate it.
>>
>>51296049
desu rogue sneak attack makes up for lack of extra attack.
>>
>>51295866
My stance on what? People who don't understand bounded accuracy?
>>
>>51296159
Somewhat, but you will lag a bit when you're rogue 5/ftr 4.
>>
File: IMG_3050.jpg (73KB, 800x548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3050.jpg
73KB, 800x548px
How you guys go about designing a setting based on Ancient Greece

So far I'm thinking to change the classes up to reflect Ancient Greek society
>fighters can be hoplites and warriors aboard triremes
>warlocks(now called oracles) have powers and other characteristics like personality based on there Greek god of choice
>wizards(now called philosophers) are basically people like Socrates,Plato,Aristotle and Diogenes as wizards with spells and personalities based off of there philosophical beliefs
>bards pretty much stay the same but can become actors in Ancient Greek theatre and even become playwrights
>druids are worshippers of Demeter
,Actaeon,gaea and can summon,commicate or work for dryads And nymphs
>barbarians are members of the hill tribes that lived in the mountainous inland of Greece
>not sure how to implement sorcerers,monks,rogues and rangers
And paladins
>>
>>51294692
>Disguise Self
>Cast Friends on the local merchant
>1 minute later
>"That's the man right there! Guards, arrest this witch! He charmed me!"
>An innocent man is hanged while you watch
Thread posts: 366
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.