[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 394
Thread images: 49

File: Yawning Portal.jpg (832KB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Yawning Portal.jpg
832KB, 1920x1160px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51290320

Weekly Art Edition
>>
File: Storm King's Thunder.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Storm King's Thunder.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
What has your favorite 5e published adventure been thus far?
>>
LINK FOR FA/TG/UYS ASKING ABOUT 4E BOOKS

https://mega.nz/#F!UsRUlLAR!-5YN6nV_QeOO97Gu6CE-sg
>>
What are some good creatures to pair with a Spectator as a mini-boss style fight.

Environmental hazards include:

> Inside a cave with a waterfall at the entrance, but high above the water (60 ft drop to water)
> Sharp / Jagged Stalactites that Spectator will fire at to fall on players
> Spectator can reverse gravity on certain targets (slamming them into stalactites)
> Running water that will shoot people out of the cave if they fall in (DC14 Str to hold on / stand up)

Spectator looking to kill all intruders.
>>
>Bag of [x] holding

>This bag can hold up to 500 pounds of [x], but weighs 15 pounds regardless of its contents.
>>
File: medieval-hawkeye.jpg (559KB, 1500x2035px) Image search: [Google]
medieval-hawkeye.jpg
559KB, 1500x2035px
>>51296094
Reposting from last thread, sorry.

Can anyone give me some basic tips and strategy for getting the most out of mundane, magicless archery in 5e?

I'm playing a melee and area of effect oriented eldritch knight, but the rest of my group decided they all wanted to play melee characters (we have six our of eight, seven if you include the That Guy's wildmage sorc who likes to stab things and dual wield). I'm really not getting anything out of it, and while its good to conserve spells as an EK, its getting to the point that I can't do much of anything before everyone else has to rest.

I don't have any cantrips or spells that help with ranged combat. I'll probably just hang back and shoot arrows until the other melee characters get too beaten to not rest, then make my way to the front and do what I was meant to do with saved spells, but in the meantime I need to know how to play this kind of character effectively. Not used to it at all.
>>
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?511413-Why-the-aversion-to-impossiblity
What's your stance on this, 5eg?
>>
Any cool gods for a CG half-elf bard? I was thinking Tritherion but does anyone have any ones with more flavor?
>>
>>51296174
Archery style, sharpshooter. Hunter's mark or hex would be a bonus I guess

I think your idea of waiting until everyone else needs to rest before blowing your spells sounds weird though
>>
>>51296197
Lurue
>>
>>51296174
>I'm playing a melee
So stick with melee? If the character is already made then just play what they were designed to do.
>>
What class would this be? I'm thinking Monk or Mystic.

>Adherent to ancient way of living, set out in rote memorised tenets
>Tenets cover all behaviour, including how to move, walk, converse, and think.
>The way of living is intended to make you identical in mind and body to the creator of the tenets, whose name is lost to history.
>>
>>51296185
I got tired of reading retards complain about skills, so I assumed that was more retards complaining about skills and avoided it.
>>
>>51296241
Monk, Way of Autism
>>
>>51296241
>What class would this be?
None is suggested by your description.
>>
File: carlton.jpg (53KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
carlton.jpg
53KB, 500x333px
>>51296259
nailed it
>>
Is it really so bad giving players lycanthropy
>>
>>51296243
Worse. Its a bunch of idiots saying that everything in a game should be killable and doable and if you put it in game and it isnt youre a terrible GM
>>
File: 1448309329775.jpg (158KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448309329775.jpg
158KB, 720x480px
>>51296259
the monastery of "You Are Now Aware Of Breathing Manually"
>>
>>51296197
>CG half-elf bard
>>
File: snake-druid licking dragon.jpg (46KB, 526x637px) Image search: [Google]
snake-druid licking dragon.jpg
46KB, 526x637px
>>51296094
>Weekly Art Edition

>big boss fight with an adult white dragon
>druid wild shapes into giant constrictor snake and grapples the dragon
>"Then I put my tongue up his ear and say 'How ya doing?' "
>wizard's player draws pic related mid-fight
Instant inspiration point.
>>
>>51296162
mirrors
>>
>>51296280
Anything can be done well. Not everything is equally easy to do well.
>>
>>51296241
It's whatever class you want to play

>>51296185
>I hate my shit DM, he railroads so hard, he won't even let me use intimidation checks to stop the Earth's rotation! I even rolled a natural 20 on the check!
>>
>>51296283
It's in their general forum, so it's likely not referring to 5e. It's probably 3.5 or Pathfinder, you know, the versions that statted out gods and ended up with stuff a level 12 wizard could kill on his own.
>>51296185
I absolutely would give my players a chance to kill a god, but not without a damn good plan. It's a god, in a straight up battle they'll be curbstomped. No save, no check, just dead. But if they have a plan to strip or weaken the powers of the god, or lure it into a trap (for instance an enemy god's demiplane), I'd give them a chance. Mind you it would still be the hardest thing they ever fought, and it still wouldn't be an outright battle.
>>
War Grappler :
When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction try to grapple the creature, rather than making an opporlunity altack.

Good or bad ?
>>
File: Red Dragon.jpg (1MB, 2400x1074px) Image search: [Google]
Red Dragon.jpg
1MB, 2400x1074px
More art
>>
>>51296390
Is this a feat? A Fighting Style? A class ability?
>>
File: Volo's Guide.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Volo's Guide.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
>>51296403
>>
>>51296390
What's a opporlunity altack?
>>
>>51296425
>>51296403
/5eg/ is not an art dump. Curb your shit,or at least contribute meaningfully to ongoing discussion while you dump.
>>
>>51296426
Your Anus getting a Surprise Visit
>>
What do you do when a group dissolves?

We've got three people left but we can't manage to put two more together and don't have any remaining mutual friends.
>>
More revisions, updates, and balance changes. Let me know what you guys think.

For those unawares, I've been working on porting over the Duskblade from 3.5 to 5e, the idea being to have it fill the role of a true gish class, specifically in a DPS role.
>>
>>51296144
>https://mega.nz/#F!UsRUlLAR!-5YN6nV_QeOO97Gu6CE-sg
thanks!
>>
>>51296469
>mutual friends
Invite non-mutual friends?
I literally met everyone in my group 4 months ago, except the one dude I've known for a decade, and we all get along great.
>>
>>51296472
It's shit.
>>
File: Curse of Strahd.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>51296426
An attack of opportunity occurs when an enemy moves out of your range, and you can use your reaction to make a basic weapon attack against them

read nigga read
>>
>>51296472
What's up with errybody and they're mama wanting Gishes?
>>
>>51296454
Honestly, art, D&D art, is probably the most benign contentless-posting 5eg has seen in weeks.
>>
>>51296346
Hmmm, that's actually not a bad idea.
>>
>>51296502
Beware my mystical blade.
>>
>>51296499
>opporLunity attacks
>LUNITY
>L
READ NIGGA READ
>>
>>51296524
opporLunity aLtack
>>
>>51296425
Yfw you realize the smaller dude is holding the alternative Volo's cover.

>>51296454
Goddamn you're autistic and a fucking knob.
>>
>>51296530
Damn, I've been had.
>>
>>51296233
Been trying, not working well anymore.
I built him to get surrounded and dish out area of effect damage with green flame blade, thunderwave, etc, but all the other fighters and babrarians and paladins and shit are making it extremely difficult to set that strategy up.

I guess I could run into the next room of a dungeon like a retard and force the situation, but that seems like a good way to get dead.
>>
>>51296502
Is this a bad time to tell you I'm working on a homebrew Spellsage?

It's a fighter subclass.
>>
>>51296520
All I'd want is The ability to add elemental damage to my blade, what else would you need?
>>51296551
No i don't care i'm just wondering why.
>>
>>51296550
GFB still works. Switch Thunderwave on level up to maybe Absorb Elements and become tank.
>>
>>51296502
Gishes are objectively the coolest character concept
>>
>>51296613
But they're literally Githyanki! the bad kind of gith!
>>
>>51296502
The only successful gish right now is a Paladin, which some people don't want to play.
>>
File: Zuggtmoy.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Zuggtmoy.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
>>51296472
It's just not very good. Having proficiency in Con saves AND advantage on concentration checks is just too powerful, especially considering multiclassing exists.

>>51296454
I got you.
>>
>>51296259
>>51296296
Basically what I had in mind, though I was thinking of a condition that was equal parts OCD and feng shui.
>>
>>51296472
Arcane Channeling Training neglects mentioning its level (as do a lot of the others now that I look), and is awkwardly, ambiguously and needlessly verbosely worded in general.

The cantrips for channeling part of Dual Caster is meaningless. Just say you can do it for 1d6 at every turn for free. The second part of Dual Casters is ignorant of the core rule of "only one non-cantrip spell per turn, ever, even if you're a sorcerer."

Enlightened Aid's first part is meaningless. You can't just say "all numbers of a spell" because that's an unknown.

Empowered Spell Strike talks about hitting, it should talk about damaging.

Alright that's it, I'm not going to read further now. I'm only commenting on glaring mistakes, not balance, but don't take that as condoning of the balance.
>>
File: IMG_3050.jpg (73KB, 800x548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3050.jpg
73KB, 800x548px
How you guys go about designing a setting based on Ancient Greece

So far I'm thinking to change the classes up to reflect Ancient Greek society
>fighters can be hoplites and warriors aboard triremes
>warlocks(now called oracles) have powers and other characteristics like personality based on there Greek god of choice
>wizards(now called philosophers) are basically people like Socrates,Plato,Aristotle and Diogenes as wizards with spells and personalities based off of there philosophical beliefs
>bards pretty much stay the same but can become actors in Ancient Greek theatre and even become playwrights
>druids are worshippers of Demeter
,Actaeon,gaea and can summon,commicate or work for dryads And nymphs
>barbarians are members of the hill tribes that lived in the mountainous inland of Greece
>not sure how to implement sorcerers,monks,rogues and rangers
And paladins
>>
>>51296647
> It's just not very good. Having proficiency in Con saves AND advantage on concentration checks is just too powerful, especially considering multiclassing exists.

You mean for the fighting style of Sturdy Caster? That was mainly because I couldn't think of anything else, and I was looking at War Caster feat for ideas/inspiration, and this felt like the only thing that worked for the class.
>>
File: get fucked lawfags.png (21KB, 511x446px) Image search: [Google]
get fucked lawfags.png
21KB, 511x446px
>>51296623
>hurrdurr we're such good monks we build lawful monasteries in the middle of fucking LIMBO to prove how lawful we are
>somehow the good kind of gith
Do you even dragon-riding space pirate?
>>
File: fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.jpg (61KB, 793x738px) Image search: [Google]
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.jpg
61KB, 793x738px
>DM photocopies all of our character sheets at the start of the final session
>we beat up the BBEG as he's doing some kind of dimensional fuckery
>oh no he was a load-bearing BBEG and the ritual is going unstable
>kaboom
>DM takes our character sheets
>passes out the photocopied versions, but everyone gets a different player's character
>reality seems unstable, everyone is super disoriented, the whole tower is warping and stretching everywhere
>suddenly five fuckers pop out of the rift
>they're duplicates of our characters, played by the DM
>massive no-holds-barred pseudo-PvP thing
>we barely win after throwing literally everything at them
>hooray, fuck those interdimensional interlopers
>DM tells us to read the sheets we have very carefully
>they seem identical
>tells us to read the Appearance section
>"Has a mustache." on all of them
>>
Would something with a stupid amount of power, potentially more than a god (The only things I can think of for that being something like a GOO or some kind of natural magic storm), be able to overpower a standard spellcasted anti-magic field?
>>
>>51296594
When you get level 2 spells, look at blur and/or haste, they both offer decent defense upgrades, and haste gives you extra attacks.

At level one, your options are kinda limited, but you could get false life for survivability.
>>
>>51296857
>"Has a mustache." on all of them
That is both hilarious and incredibly stupid at the same time. I like it.
>>
>>51296856
Dude I was making a joke, way to take it a bit too seriously.
>>
>>51296499
What about getting up from prone?
>>
>>51296926
S-sorry
>>
>>
>>51296772
Most of the wording for Arcane Channeling is just to try and answer any potential questions that might pop up during a game, but other portions could be cut down/condensed due to wordiness. And I didn't think I needed to mention the level you learn Arcane Channeling Training because it's literally level 1. If I need to then fine, just seemed pointless when the class table told you when you get it.

Dual Caster is meant to be a capstone ability that ignores the core rule because of the unique nature of the class. But I was struggling to come up with a proper capstone ability and have yet to come up with one that seemed better than this, even if capstone abilities are mostly pipe dreams.

Not entirely sure what you are talking about for Enlightened Aid' first part. It's just meant to let you add your INT mod. whenever casting a Cure Wounds or similar ilk.

Empowered Spell Strike's just a wording error, easily fixed.
>>
File: Drizzt and Demogorgon.jpg (237KB, 1600x943px) Image search: [Google]
Drizzt and Demogorgon.jpg
237KB, 1600x943px
>>51296644
Paladin is an awesome gish, and the easiest way to make people happy about playing it is to call it something else. Like in Dark Sun, how you're a templar for the sorcerer-king, and are invested with a small amount of his immense might.

>>51296815
Ancient Greece is a great setting idea. Rangers are incredibly easy to implement, as living innawoods wasn't incredibly weird back then. Rogues are highly-trained soldiers, or self-taught sellswords and spies. Sorcerers are guys that are descended from demigods. Monks and Paladins I'm still drawing a blank on.

>>51296942
If getting up from prone somehow moved you out of range of the enemy, then yes. RAW though, it's only when an enemy moves out of your range.
>>
>>51296983
>>
>>51296951
Pshh, no problem
>>
File: 1484284116657-1.png (4MB, 2528x1003px) Image search: [Google]
1484284116657-1.png
4MB, 2528x1003px
Pathfinder are doing a collab with Kingdom Death, and once again 5e has nothing to show.
>>
How well does 3.5 content translate into 5e? Is it as smooth as pathfinder / 3.5, or does it require a bit more work?
>>
>>51297041
who
>>
Please let the mystic be released in Feb.
>>
>>51297041
>buying from a company that makes timed exclusives.
>>
>>51296390
Redundant. I'm pretty sure you can do that already.
>>
>>51296094
So i just printed out Core 1-1 A Scream In the Night (1-4) pdf, it seems like a neat adventure, some puzzles, combat, mystery, but it calls upon maps that are not in the download with the other handouts, where the hell are the maps?
>>
>>
>>51297041
>Paizo collaborating with "unreleased fetish product, the company"
Not surprising.
>>
>>51296404
I think it would be best as an addition to the grappler feat

>>51296426
It's an opportunity attack but with two letters changed.
>>
File: 1484681289407.jpg (201KB, 394x652px) Image search: [Google]
1484681289407.jpg
201KB, 394x652px
>>51297003
I'm not saying Paladin's a bad gish, but some people want to do elemental damage instead of radiant damage with their not!Smite abilities.

That was part of the reason behind a Duskblade back in 3.5 days: you get access to mostly damage spells and can channel their effects into your weapon, so you can nova someone hardcore. Also, this was during a time when you had a limited number of cantrips for the day, so most Duskblades would end up buffing themselves ahead of time with a few specific spells (Haste, Blur, etc.), channel a cantrip like Shocking Grasp into the weapon, and charge in, firing off Scorching Rays and what-not while moving towards their target to hit them with weapon die + Shocking Grasp damage, and then repeat the cantrip channel + melee damage until the foe was dead.

And here's some art to go along with the overarching OP topic of wanting more art in these threads.
>>
>>51297052
3.5 and Pathfinder are basically the same thing.
>>
>>51297052
Pathfinder and 3.5 translate between each other pretty well, based on the fact that Pathfinder's built on the same overarching game engine.

3.5 and Pathfinder stuff can be translated to 5e with varying degrees of success, it's mainly trying to figure out how to best balance stuff from 3.5 to 5e's power level.

By in large, 5e is less powerful than 3.5 stuff, so a fair bit of 3.5 stuff has to be toned down and/or modified to work within 5e's rules.
>>
>>51297092
Where did you get that idea ?
"make one melee attack" is different from take Attack action.
>>
Hey /tg/, anyone willing to help with my campaigns bbeg?

I'm attempting to make a sympathetic character. The character in question should be noticeably evil, but someone who still feels relatable.

This is what I have so far.

This character (no name for now) was once part of noble house Strauss. Their family led one of the five most powerful cities within the country. His family became the target of a political game. Essentially two sides of the kingdom (different ruling families whose history goes back to the inception of the country) played a game of intrigue with who ruled the city.

The Karkoff, the rulers of the kingdom supported the Strauss, due to blood ties. The Rasvol wanted to put their own people in charge of the city. Regardless, the Rasvol ended up winning, and the majority of Strauss ended up killing each other due to infighting caused by the Rasvol. All except one who had left the city sometime ago. You see our character here had no interest in politics. He was inspired by art, poetry, and music, and yearned to be a bard. Not wanting loose ends, the Rasvol and their new figure heads who would take over the city turned to dark magic to ensure the last living heir of the Strauss family would die.

Instead because the dark powers that be are essentially childish dicks, they cursed him for a good laugh and turned him into something else (undead?). He has been living in the ruins of his summer home for the last century, acting as a bit of a local legend for the town who have no fucking clue who the Strauss are, or who the summer home belongs to in the first place. My players are in this town.

So, what else should I do with this guy? Why did it take 100 years for him to get his shit together? What did he turn into (that isn't a vampire)? I'm scared he might end up being too Strahd.
>>
>>51296815
Everybody hates barbarians (Greek had a really bad relationship with them)

Wizards could be followers of one or another philosophers, being their disciples and/or studying with them (pretty common too)

Bards (artists) are HATED by some philosophers, if I remember correctly, Plato (his argument was that artist tried to copy material things, an already copy of the 'Intelligible world')

>>51297003
Sorcerers as god's descendants is pretty solid
>>
File: 1480652985283.jpg (110KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
1480652985283.jpg
110KB, 1024x819px
>>51297276
I'm not exactly sympathetic to this character, but you could go with a revenant.
>>
>>51297276
a revenant warped by the dark powers
>>
>>51296472
OP shit. Go back to 3.5
>>
>>51296857
This is diabolical.
>>
>>51296864
Anti-magic field only stops spells, teleportation, and things that are called magical. Let that be your guide.
>>
>>51296857
This is gloriously stupid. Your GM should be proud.
>>
>>51297003
>Rogues are highly-trained soldiers, or self-taught sellswords and spies

Maybe it fits better rougues being beggars or spies, as fighters being striclty fighters.
>>
>>51297003
>Sorcerers are guys that are descended from demigods. Monks and Paladins I'm still drawing a blank on.
Monks and Paladins are descended from different ones. Paladins especially.
>>
>>51297450
I thought it cancelled ALL magic, implying you could use it to pass through a magic field hazard or to make even a stupidly huge blast of raw magic fizzle on it, forming something like a bubble of safety in a magic storm?
>>
>>51297276

Whats the CR?

Also, whe whole backstory if none of the adventure is set in these cities?
>>
>>51297391
Fair enough. I never described his character traits and only loosely described his motives/creation.

What would make him sympathetic?
>>
>>51297485
Haven't decided honestly. Something appropriate for the capstone to a game. Players are level 2, and I usually don't bring games past level 10-12.

They are a hop, skip, and jump away from both cities. I wanted him to feel like he had a story and wasn't just some evil entity living in the manor by the lake. So, I made up a story, and the party can easily follow it to either city if they learn about his history.
>>
>>51297276
Does he know who killed him and his family? That could take a while to discover.
>>
>>51297434
That anon is asking for balance on it, why not tell him what is OP about it and see if they are willing to work on it?

If the overall idea is, "a more DPS, less tanky Paladin who does elemental damage with his weapons" then help them balance it out more.
>>
>>51297152
I admittedly miss playing my swordmage from 4ed. Still I like how 5ed is simplified and runs smoother.
>>
>>51297496
I tend to not feel much sadness for nobles, but my suggestion would be to make him someone who wasn't even apart of the house at all.

As an example, he might've been part of the noble family, but as part of a branch family. As their pure lineage began being slowly hunted and killed, they turned to desperate measures where they kidnapped someone loosely related and claimed he was the heir. Shenanigans happen and he's forced into the role, and then into a revenant. I'd feel sympathy for someone who was forced into the position, and then killed/turned into whatever he is now.
>>
>>51297152
Paladins get elemental damage smite spells though they also do *stuff* and are a little weaker than the straight radiant class feature smite.
>>
File: runeseeker v2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
runeseeker v2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I ripped off the Runeseeker in the pastebin and made one for a player to use in my campaign. It's going well right now, but I'd like some feedback from y'all if you're willing.

It's a half caster, but warlock-style with invocations and short rest recovery.
>>
>>51297589
last comments were
>this is just an OP bladelock
>>
File: 1474564841521.jpg (109KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1474564841521.jpg
109KB, 650x650px
>>51297102
ok i just checked the next adventure in the series and that one has it's associated maps, so where is the 1-1 maps? Because I actually plan on running 1-1 on saturday.
>>
>>51296857
But what if they already have a mustache Mr. Anon?
>>
I'm thinking of converting the 4e powers to 5e, how are the classes gaining them as resources?
Or I could tie them to specific classes a la spells.
>>
>>51297535
>past level 10-12.

Vampire seems perfect. Something with the stats of a dragon will do as well

Don't reinvent the wheel

>just some evil entity living in the manor by the lake

is that where your campaign takes place? Or does the villain actually bait them to the cities

Hell, why is he villanous at all? Is his gaudy manor lowering property values?
>>
>>51296094
I'm tired of not having games to play.

I'm going to buy the DMG today at my LGS. Do I need to buy the MM or can I just wait until next paycheck?
>>
>>51297743
you can get away with the SRD or anon's github tool if you print the monsters you want beforehand or have easy internet access during the session on a tablet or laptop
>>
File: 1429129012092.jpg (76KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1429129012092.jpg
76KB, 612x612px
how would you balance true strike as a cantrip? looking to play a supportive role and want to use it in place of something like fire bolt
>>
>>51297756
That sounds good. I prefer solid books, but using the anons tool for monsters sounds reasonable.
>>
>>51297570
I like the idea of him being forced into a position/from an offshoot of the family. I'm trying to make it so he was as apolitical as possible.

He was of noble only in name. Dude spent most of his life bumming around the streets in the pursuit of his passion, art and music.
>>
>>51297759
It already is a cantrip?

Unless you mean how to use it, in which case, the answer is pretty infrequently. This describes it better: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/51266/why-would-i-ever-cast-true-strike
>>
>>51297726
Campaign starts in the shitty little town by the lake and I'll let the players take it where they want. The villains intentions are now that he finally has the means or the knowledge of who caused his curse, to avenge himself and punish those who stole his life. Except, one hundred years have gone by, so theyre all dead anyway, and he is now just killing off their descendants.

He is also causing problems locally now that he is awake. If he goes the vampire route, he has manipulated some Finland into bringing him corpses or something of that ilk. Something that isn't exactly incriminating, but clearly messing the area up.
>>
>>51297908
>manipulated some Finland
fug XDD
>>
>>51297923
Shit, meant gnolls. Typing on my phone.
>>
>>51297686
Two moustaches.
>>
File: 8ncF1zG.jpg (1MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
8ncF1zG.jpg
1MB, 2550x3300px
>>51297852
Here's how I'd do it.

Guy lived as a peasant, with his peasant family which was an offshoot of the noble house. He has a sister who he loved dearly, and often played music for to impress her as she was a sickly child. Upon reaching the age of 14 or 15, was kidnapped in the middle of the night by the pureblood/trueborns of the family.

Forced into his position, without ever being able to truly say good bye to his family, he loathed everyone he came into contact with. He stopped playing music, stopped pursuing arts, just sat there like a bird in a cage. This only lasted a short while though(perhaps a month or two?) before everyone else was executed and killed. Once the dark ritual began, the dark powers seeing something of a kin with him and his hatred turned him into a revenant. However, they also took great joy in making his torment endless by keeping him as a bird in a cage, in the home he hated unable to die normally. His final wish is to leave the home, to find his sister(or her grave) and play one final song for her.
>>
>>51297908
>and he is now just killing off their descendants.

Not very sympathetic if you don't mind me saying

Make it something like "his curse is bound to their bloodlines, and only by terminating them, can he finally one day be at peace"
>>
How can you make a series of combats against single copies of the same monster memorable/unique?
>>
>>51297654
Well it is.

It has all the benefits of a fighter, plus magical casting. Like someone thought Eldritch knights needed to be minmaxed.
>>
>>51297981
Good point. I'm just trying to find a way to make the party make a choice in killing him. He likely has to be doing something worth investigating for the party to find and confront him. Is being undead simply enough?

I've been playing games with these guys for awhile now. They aren't typical murder hobos, (except one) so I don't know what will happen.

This is our first foray in D&D. We usually play vtm.

>>51297961
I really like aspects of this. Thank you for the help.
>>
>>51298081
No problem, it was fun coming up with some good ways to make him sympathetic. As an additional idea, perhaps he is luring descendants to him to try and find a way to remove his curse, so he can leave the house and fulfill the condition to allow him to rest peacefully. He kills the ones who can't, justifying it to himself that it is justice(obviously it isn't).
>>
>>51298081
>Is being undead simply enough?

In my experience, no.

We started out trying to kill Strahd and not half way through the bard had a minion Haunted Animated Armor and a Soul Bag full of ghosts following him around spreading mischief
>>
File: 1482502201291.jpg (25KB, 480x474px) Image search: [Google]
1482502201291.jpg
25KB, 480x474px
>>51298152
>>51296315
>>
>>51298152
You're a disappointment to your parents and they have stopped loving you.
>>
>>51297703
Cantrip/At-will
Short Rest
Long Rest?
>>
>>51298001
Environmental effects and different tactics for starters
>>
>>51298152
that's just the current /pfg/ OP

I know that's the joke
>>
I want to limit further magic, and I was thinking about making my players use strange or exotic materials. I want to make it more of an occult skill, less common.

Are there any good resources online that I can use for my players? Tables or DC's for a more crafty magic?
>>
Help me, anons.

I'm joining a game as a level 4 Warlock, and my AC is only 13 (10+2 from DEX+1 from leather armor). I have 500 gold to start, is there any way I can raise it?
>>
>>51298381

Studded Leather is 14+dex
>>
>>51298398
Everywhere I look says that it's 12+DEX.
>>
>>51297703
>>51298215
The Bladesinger already has a handful of Swordmage powers as 5e cantrips. I want to play a cantrip-heavy melee character (most likely Rogue using them instead of the Attack action) and see how long it takes the 4e haters I know to catch on.

>>51298381
Spend a feat on medium armor proficiency.
Spend a level on a class with that proficiency.
Spend an evocation on that one that lets you cast Mage Armor forever.
Embrace the Darkness/Devil's Sight shenanigans and prevent people from targeting you in your (not actually) invincible ball of Darkness.
Rely on your party members to keep you safe and enjoy the camaraderie of being part of a functional team.
>>
>>51298381
Should've multi-classed as dragon Sorcerer
>>
>>51298415

Ah, that's right, I got it magical. My bad
>>
>>51296992
As it stands, I could argue that with enlightened Aid I could:
>gain +10 AC with shield
>give 18+dex AC with mage armour
>Block/dispel an 8th level spell with a 3rd level counterspell/dispel magic
>Become completely immune to magic with a globe of invulnerability

Not to mention cure wounds isn't even abjuration. Point is you really need to be more specific to what it's applying to here. Not to mention in many cases adding int to heal spells would be a straight upgrade to the life domain perk in many cases and god forbid someone had the sense to take goodberry with a +5 to all healing. Bottom line of homebrewing 5e, don't leave players any blank cheques.
>>
>>51298379
Require a backstory excuse for rolling a full caster, and turn enchanted equipment into different stuff while keeping the mechanics around them.
For example, instead of Breastplate +2, have a Dragonscale Breastplate, which is mechanically exactly the same thing.
>>
>>51298215
Thanks, man. I was more wondering how the class would be getting the powers initially and then subsequently, ie as a pool of powers or are they obtained as feats.

Daily powers could refresh after a long rest and encounter powers could refresh after a short rest.
The descriptions and benefits gained though are sufficiently different between the editions that you do need a rewrite but it shouldn't be too hard.
I might take a stab at the swordmage powers, they're pretty fucking rad.
>>
>>51298177
That sounds amusing. I'm sure Strahd wasn't pleased that some adventurer was manipulating spirits in his domain.
>>
>>51298449
The EK should get access to all of those cantrips.
>>
File: Ihavenofuckingidea.jpg (41KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
Ihavenofuckingidea.jpg
41KB, 500x372px
Lore question: Do elves have tribes or clans or something? How would you refer to the elves that inhabited a specific region? This is in reference to wood elves btw. Trying to tidy up my backstory.
>>
>>51297566
Well, the anon who did the Duskblade port is trying to make it as simple as he can with the conversion, but at the end of the day you're still going to have the issue of, "do I sit back and sling spells or do I go melee, probably do more damage, but risk getting hit?"

The class does seem to balance itself around this overall idea: sure, you can sling spells but they probably won't be as powerful as the Sorcerer, Warlocks, or Wizards, and if you go melee to nova someone there's a chance they won't die and you can't get out, unlike the other martial classes who can leave (Monk and Rogue) or can take a hit (Barbarian, Fighter, melee Ranger).

There is a concerted effort in the homebrew to address this issue (the Duskblade Cloak class feature) but it's still a risk the player has to be comfortable with.
>>
>>51298005
What would need to be removed?
>>
>>51298610
Why can't you make a weapon attack and have another effect as part of its attack routine?
>>
If my CON mod became +3 when hitting level 4, does that make my HP gain increase for that level as well, or only future levels?
>>
Question: Tricky but malicious fey has taken over an abandoned Cathedral in the woods. What kind of things would he keep in his new house?
>>
>>51298647
Actually it applies to all your levels, even past ones
>>
>>51298647
Nomatter how simple you make a system, people still are going to have questions...anyway, it's retroactive, you gain +1 to all your levels even those you already have.

If your previous HPs were 35, now at 4th level you gain +3 for level 1, 2 and 3 to HPs on top of your 4th level ones
>>
>>51298644
That's part of the idea behind the arcane channeling feature. The base effect is a worse form of Smite, but because it's force damage there's nothing in 5e that resists or negates it.

The "spell channel into your weapon" feature is gated because any sooner and then you just have Wizards take a 2-3 level dip into the class for the armor proficiency and extra hit die and not lose out on 8th or 9th level spells.

As-is they might still go for a 2 level dip because of the Studry Caster fighting style, but then they have to gimp their stats to meet the multiclassing requirements.
>>
>>51298551
I was thinking about requiring many ingredients, making them roll dices for something like nature, but I dont know how to further expand the idea.

I will anyway use the idea for enchanted equipment, it will make it feel more unique
>>
Is Marked still a thing in 5e?
>>
>>51298681
>>51298687
Sorry anons, I am a dumb man.
>>
>>51298745
Sort of?

Some classes get spells or an archetype feature that do a 'marked' type of magical effect on a creature, usually lets them do more damage to the 'marked' target (Hex, Hunter's Mark, Vow of Emnity feature).
>>
>>51298713
It's not a bad feature, but could do with even more versatility.

There is the downside of an easy multiclassing dip but hey, that's not the end of the world.
5e is difficult to balance in that respect and people don't even realize that.

>>51298788
Thanks heaps man, I'll go check them out and see how they're worded.
>>
>>51298745
It's an optional rule in the DMG.
>>
>>51298745
I think it's a variant rule in DMG, and knight from unearthed arcana has mark mechanics.
>>
>>51298742
What, you mean like:
>Player: I cast Magic Missile.
>DM: Roll an Arcana for that.
?
That's bullshit. You should require martials to roll Athletics for their attacks too then.
>>
>>51298881
>You should require martials to roll Athletics for their attacks too then.

They already have to roll to attack.
>>
You might need to make the swordmage into an archetype, giving the classes 4e style powers is going to be harder than you think.
>>
>>51298892
Yes, but martials are balanced around that. Casters have spells that are balanced both around making an attack roll and ones that are not, but you can't just slap an additional attack roll on everything a caster does and expect them to be even slightly balanced with martials who don't have to make an extra attack roll.
>>
>>51298856
Well, let's compare Arcane Channeling to Divine Smite, both of which are very similar effects.

Both make you burn a spell slot to deal extra damage with a melee attack. And the higher level spell slot you burn, the more bonus damage you get.

The Paladin gets more versatility from his class features (Lay on Hands, Aura bonus) and the various archetypes he chooses.

This Duskblade brew gets more spells, 2/3 Spellcaster progression (versus the Paladin's 1/2 progression), a flat bonus to AC (Duskblade Cloak), and more features via archetypes. Hell, the Duskblade can get healing spells if they want. As an arcane caster. Not many classes get that period.
>>
File: memesheet.png (422KB, 1225x1585px) Image search: [Google]
memesheet.png
422KB, 1225x1585px
One of my newbie players just sent me this as his character sheet.
>>
>>51298921
>martials are balanced

KEK
>>
>>51298253
Alright, I guess I'll have to think on it then.
>>
File: 1473995280662.png (343KB, 401x440px) Image search: [Google]
1473995280662.png
343KB, 401x440px
>>51298964

>Furries are okay I guess
>>
Has anybody played in the Primeval Thule setting? How easy would it be to run that as some kind of open world hexcrawl. I love the Conan style feel it seems to be going for and mixing it with old school hexcrawling just seems like it'd work great.
>>
>>51298964
Jesus christ
>>
>>51298992

See "Flaws"
>>
>>51299006

Everything about that sheet is a red flag. Cut him loose.
>>
>>51298964
Give him lots of trannies that ignore everything he does. He gets pegged to death.
>>
>>51298964
He dies in the first few minutes and doesn't get to speak anymore because the adults are talking.
>>
File: 1472677200634.jpg (98KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1472677200634.jpg
98KB, 409x409px
>>51298964

DEVILISH
>>
>>51299033
If he persists, duct tape his mouth shut and duct tape his arms and legs to the wall, his face facing towards the wall.
>>
>>51296454
Please kill yourself, buddy
>>
>>51298881
I meant to ask them to go fetch and find special materials, perhapa with Nature rolls, before casting, or Arcane checks for rituals. Something similar to alchemy
>>
>>51298964
>alignment: cunt
well he's right on that count
>>
>>51299096
Oh. That's fine. For good measure, make the martials practice. Rogues could go out and be dicks and steal some shit, fighters could go to the guard barracks and spar, and barbarians could go hunting or something.
>>
>>51299064
He's not wrong.
>>
>>51298964
I cannot even begin to understand what sort of madness grips a man in order to compell him to make a character sheet using the MSpaint pencil tool.
>>
>>51299165
You too, cuck.
>>
>>51299166
was paintbrush actually la
>>
>>51299150
>Rogues could go out and be dicks and steal some shit
I hate this meme. Rogues shouldn't have to be only stealy stabby dicks. Damn Wizards for giving them such shit fluff.
>>
Would making a class based entirely around using a modified true polymorph(in that you can use it from level one, but with the caveat that what you can turn into can only have CR of your current level or lower) be doable or would it be too broken? I really want to play a character that whose whole thing is just turning into monsters.
>>
>>51299376
Super broken. Just play a druid or a wizard.
>>
File: tabaxi_concept_art.jpg (193KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
tabaxi_concept_art.jpg
193KB, 1536x864px
>>51296538
Here you go, buddy!

>>51299376
Play a fucking druid and don't make it any harder on your group.
>>
>>51299323
Me too, anon. Me too.

But every fucking retard thinks as soon as he picks Rogue he's obligated to RP a CN dickthief.
>>
So I'm planning an encounter for my 8th level party of 5 with a variant Mummy Lord, in its lair. As you can tell, it's supposed to be a very tough one. However, what worries me is that the GWM champion/barbarian can easily dish out over 50 damage per round, over half of the mummy lord's HP, and that's not even considering Action Surge. To make matters worse, they also have a 20 Cha Paladin, so that's a big buff to their saves as well.

What can I do to make this work? How can I protect the mummy lord from the champion without making the fight frustrating for the player?
>>
>>51298964

Haha, perfect.

Anyway, anyone got any rules for enchantment around? Not costs, but unusual things like if weapons have enchantment slots or things like that?
>>
>>51299585

Give the Mummy Lord the Amulet of Avvarak-Sur, where all metal weapons that touch him turn to dust!
>>
>>51297003
How does Drizzt feel about being the worst archetype of the worst class?
>>
Aegis of Shielding

At 1st level, you excel at protecting your allies from harm and mitigating damage from enemy attacks. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, the target is marked by you until the end of your next turn.

The marked target has disadvantage on any attack roll against a creature other than you or someone else who marked it.

If a target is marked by you is within 5 feet of you on its turn and it makes an attack that suffers disadvantage from this feature and hits an ally, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage dealt to your ally by half.

As you progress in levels, you get sword of sigils and others on top of it, but these can only be used a limited amount per day and are then expended, refreshing with a short or long rest.

Thoughts please?
>>
Most classes can fight for whatever they want. A few classes are limited in serving something specific.

Clerics, who serve the gods. But, clerics can choose their god, and most settings have enough to choose from that you can be whatever kind of cleric you want.

Paladins, who serve an ideal. But paladins can choose from a handful of oaths, including blatantly evil ones.

Druids, who serve nature. No but.

Why don't druids get the same thematic leeway? Don't say "well they can just ignore serving nature" - Cleric / Paladin get to choose from a list of very different causes to serve, but are defined by that choice. Druids are defined by serving nature, but the only choice they get is whether to actually serve nature, or to just be shapeshifting not-wizards.

Special mention to Warlocks, who can serve a powerful being, but can also bargain with, steal from, or merely accidentally make contact with said being instead.
>>
>>51299628
He's got a magic weapon, so that won't really work.
>>
>>51299690
Read the Druid UA.
>>
>>51299166

The man has NO CHILL WHATSOEVER
>>
>>51299662
Is Drizzt even statted out in 5e?
>>
>>51296893
Haste is 3rd level.

>>51296550
Going ranged wastes more of your choices than going melee does I'd think. Unless you're facing AoE attacks, you will do more damage as well as have some chance to tank now and then when in melee, compared to ranged where there are no benefits outside of maybe not having to re-position to hit? With so many melee guys you may block each other from accessing targets but I wouldn't think it a large problem.
>>
>>51299766
Nope.

He'd be best statted as an npc.
>>
>>51299701

Then have him wear the amulet of Aavarak-Sir, that robs all weapons of their magic within ten feet!
>>
>>51299585
CR calculator says that's a deadly encounter... are you sure you need to buff it?

I guess as something you could keep in your pocket is to simply throw regular mummies into the mix. Do it 4e style too - don't bother tracking their HP, just make any decent damage (>15?) hit kill them (they're meant to be cannon fodder and keep the party busy). You can add mummies as needed every round if you like, and even give the mummy lord a lair action to summon more. Hell, make the lair action summoning a mummy "champion" and just make it a regular mummy (track this one's HP) wearing armor (boosted AC) and wielding a random 2H weapon (with multiple attacks - ignore Dreadful Glare for him, the regular mummies can do that one).
>>
>>51299712
That's not the same at all.

Paladins or clerics serving different creeds can end up diametrically opposed. The druid circles are just focused specifically on different subsets of the same things they're all focused on generally.

There's no non-contrived situation where two Druids of different circles are going to be opposing each other's fundamental beliefs. The good and evil leaning Paladins will clash with each other, the clerics serving the gods of war and destruction will clash with the clerics serving peace and order, but the feywild focused druids aren't naturally opposed to the animal focused druids.

But why? Nature is a fucking asshole. Life and death are both required. Forests sprout from the ashes of wildfires, the universe pays to mind to the suffering of its occupants, and only the fittest - and luckiest - survive.

One druid could be devoted to the spread of parasites and disease, while another is devoted to the life and health of animals. A druid could believe they serves nature best by culling the weak, in turn defining the weak as anyone and anything they can personally cull.
>>
why the hate for art dumps? i'd much rather see great art posted instead of someone's worthless, shitty opinion
run out of posts? make a new thread like we always do, every single day
>>
>>51300079
Whiny bitches don't like that it might slightly inconvenience their pointless posts
>>
Can I cast speak with the dead on the wand of orcus?

Do you think the human hero it's made out of would appreciate it?
>>
need thoughts on objects to put in a boss to attack to affect boss

if it helps its kinda lovecraftian, I'll give no more than that in case players browse
>>
>>51300320

A trombone.
>>
>>51299678
It's pretty shit.
>>
Guys for a low magic steam punk game which class should i play?
homebrew or otherwise

or rp a saloon girl
>>
>>51300402

The class that best lets you hang yourself.
>>
>>51300079
I'm not the autistic who whined earlier, but there are already multiple designated art dump threads.
>>
>>51299851
Yeah, I guess the only ways to do what I want are to give it some mummy minions to act as fodder and increase its HP a bit.
>are you sure you need to buff it?
Yes. The party is very powerful, and the mummy lord is neutral rather than evil and won't try to outright kill them, it's more supposed to be a test of their strength.
>>
File: IMG_0533.jpg (117KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0533.jpg
117KB, 708x1000px
Have you ever played d&d through play by post? I was introduced to rp through free form bullshit that occurred through pbp, but I'm curious to how d&d would work with it from a DMs perspective. I might try to play one through discord with personal friends.
>>
>>51300402
>RP a saloon girl
>Okay you bang a guy in the saloon.
>We have done everything there is to do with your character now.
>Please reroll she's retiring to be a single mother.
>>
>>51299678
Ok.
>>
>>51299678
That seemed really easy to write.
>>
>>51296129
Well, I assume you mean the big ones (Starter Set, Tiamat, Elemental Evil, Demons, Strahd & Giants). So far I only have experience playing/running the Starter Set and running CoS and SKT (though my fiancee is now getting ready to run CoS herself and has allowed me to run the Witch Hunter class). Of those I've so far prefer the Starter Set.
>>
>>51300737
You didn't like CoS or SKT?
>>
Opinion on character BG

Warlock/Bard
Homebrewed patron: Otherwordly being who siphons power from suicides
Goes into taverns, singing about the virtues of suicide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo
>>
>>51300784
sounds like someone is living life on the ledge
>>
Anons? Back in 4e, there were two special "Bloodlines" of tieflings added in Dragon Magazine.

The Broken Mirrors of Levistus had an aura of bad luck they could use to make life difficult for people who pissed them off. "The ogre charging me slips in the blood of its last kill and falls headfirst into its own pit of spikes" difficult.

The Blightseers of Baalzebul had the ability to induce decay and rot in anything they looked at.

So, two simple questions:
Could these tiefling variants be converted to 5e at all?

If yes, would they work better as an alternate racial feature (cf Feral, Devil's Tongue, Hellfire, Winged)? Or as a new tiefling subrace, using the tiefling-as-core-race mechanics from Unearthed Arcana "That Old Black Magic"?
>>
>>51299678
Pretty good, how are we getting it, what classes?
>>
TG, I need you to solve this for me, kinda badly

How does War Caster interact with something like Spiritual Weapon and why?
>>
>>51300820

You could probably make them as sub-races. That would be good.
>>
>>51300820
Anons? I don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but, I've got a bunch of races I've been trying to homebrew for 5e, and I could use some help on balancing out what I have written and picking which ones to write next. Any opinions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

In particular, I wanna work out the best way to handle the Saurian Shifters. I went with a straight up conversion from 3.5 by way of the Eberron Update, but... well, they're kind of boring. I was thinking that maybe more species-based subraces would be better? For example...

Deathjaw: Gains a bite attack and powers related to tracking & grappling.
Boneskin: Gains resistance to physical damage whilst shifted and maybe a cudgeling tail.
Thunderfoot: Gains Powerful Build and a built-in lethal whip attack due to lashing tail.
Seasnatcher: An aquatic subrace, with increased breath capacity, swim speed, and maybe a range-boosted bite attack if that can be swung.
Skyskimmer: Flight whilst shifted.
Clawkiller: Increased movement speed, increased jumping ability, claw attacks.
Hornbrute: Master of charging and impaling stuff with lethal horns.
Riptail: Deploys a lethal tail attack that rips enemies apart when it hits.
>>
Are there any sorc UAs? I was looking for bloodlines other than Dragon and Wild, cause it seems a bit small compared to most of the other classes options
>>
>>51300820
Sounds like you'd benefit just from changing out the spells tieflings got in favor of something more flavorful. Instead of infernal legacy.

Broken Legacy- You now know a cantrip that imposes disadvantage on the next attack your receive.

At level 3 any 1's rolled against you cause your attack to suffer basic melee damage against themselves.

At level 5 you can cast shatter as a level 2 spell.

Blight Legacy- You know the poison spray cantrip.

At level 3 your blood acts as a poison which grants an extra 1d6 poison damage to any weapons coated in it for 1 hour. You must take the weapons basic melee damage to benefit from this.

At level 5 you know the ray of enfeeblement spell.
>>
>>51298992
I really thought that was a vicious mockery quote.
>>
>>51300864
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. War Caster allows you, instead of making an attack of opportunity, to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action. Spiritual Weapon takes a bonus action, so no go. It also can only target that creature, whereas Spiritual Weapon can target any creature you want, even if you make the first attack against the one that provoked it.
>>
>>51300938
SCAG has the Storm Sorcerer, official, printed, and pretty cool. There's also Shadow and Favored Soul in a couple of UA, don't know which.
>>
>>51300890
Hmm... yes, that would be my first choice. I just got to figure out how to pull it off. Problem is, their distinguishing powers (Mantle of Misfortune and Gaze of Ruin, respectively) were encounter powers that lasted "until the end of your next turn" in 4e, and I'm not so sure they would be able to work as 1/short rest effects in 5e.

Hmm... is it okay if I post my attempts at the two subraces here? The "tiefling as a core race" is up on 1d4chan, for comparison.

>>51300938
Sorcerer UA is expected to be the one released next Monday.

Plus, what >>51301017 said; Shadow is in the Underdark Characters UA, whilst Favored Soul is in Class Design Variants.

>>51300955
You are aware that, amongst other problems, there is no Shatter spell in 5e?
>>
>>51300478
Oh there are other ways. Phylacteries are always fun because then the boss can be extremely aggressive. Then his minions can serve the dual role of cannon fodder and spare bodies to jump into. The first time BBEG appears to die but takes over the body of a minion and immediately reappears, it will scare the shit out of your players.
>>
>>51301040
>I just got to figure out how to pull it off.

Well whaddya want, I'm not going to figure it out for you.

Just do something, anything, and bring it here and we'll help you out then.
>>
>>51301040
>there is no Shatter spell in 5e?
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html#shatter
?
>>
Why is Mordenkainen's sword so fucking awful? It's worse than spiritual weapon in every way except for damage while being 5 levels higher than it. If you were to cast spiritual weapon with a 6th level slot it would be better than Mordenkainen's sword in every way as long as you had at least a +3 to your casting stat. Fucking awful.
>>
>>51296241
I think Mystic order of the Immortal would work pretty well
>>
>>51301090
Huh. My apologies, I could have sworn that Shatter was one of the 5e casualties in terms of spells...
>>
>>51301060
Oh I like this shit. Sounds really awesome and now I'll be sure to use it. Kinda feels like a waste to use it on something that is not even a major villain, but oh well. Thanks for the idea!
>>
>>51299690
Both paladins and clerics evolved from narrower concepts to their current broader ones. Paladins literally only did it this edition after being the most narrow concept of any class.
I suspect the reason druids did not follow suit is that a broader concept for druids is harder to come up with. If they don't serve nature, then what do they serve? Clerics serve gods, and get a choice between different gods. Paladins serve ideals and get to choose between different ideals.

>>51299924
Reading this, is sound like you don't want non-nature druids but just differently aligned druids. You don't need different archetypes for that. The concept of serving nature is broad enough that it can fit any alignment. Originally druids needed to be true neutral, they don't any more. If you want your druid to serve nature by culling the weak, you can do that as a land druid or a moon druid. There's nothing innate to those archetypes that's stopping you.

In fact, the concept of morally different and potentially opposed flavours of druid is something that's already been in the game since 3.5. Eberron has several different druid factions. it would be nice for them all to have their own archetypes but it's not a massive problem that they don't since the archetypes the druid already has are so broad and neutral.
>>
>>51301064
Alright. Here's a first draft... for reference, the "Core tiefling racial traits" are +2 Cha, Medium, Darkvision, Speed 30 feet.

Broken Mirror Tiefling:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Mantle of Misfortune: Once per short rest, you can raise an aura of ill luck that reaches 30 feet from you in all directions and which lasts for 1 + Cha modifier rounds. Whilst this aura is active, enemies within the aura suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws.
Accidental Tells: You gain Proficiency in Insight.
Luck Eater: If a creature perishes whilst under your Mantle of Misfortune, you steal the last of that creature's luck. You can expend this stolen luck to give yourself Advantage on one attack roll, save or ability score check of your choice. If not spent deliberately, the stolen luck evaporates within 1 minute.

Blightseer Tiefling:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
Gaze of Ruin: Once per short rest, you may activate your Gaze of Ruin, an entropic gaze attack that corrodes whatever you look upon. Gaze of Ruin has a range equal to your line of sight and affects the first creature or object you focus on; you can only have one target. Creatures gain Vulnerability to all damage types so long as they are under your Gaze of Ruin. Objects disintegrate, taking Necrotic damage equal to your level + your Charisma modifier each round. Once activated, your Gaze of Ruin lasts for 1 minute.
>>
>>51300781
I liked them just fine! They both are really fun. But the Starter Set was more narrowly focused and a lot of fun to play in. Also helped that my character (High Elf Fighter (Champion) Folk Hero) was the only character to survive the entirety of the adventure. I can't say that for CoS or SKT since I haven't played in them (curse of being a long running DM).

I also ran a Zelda-style game using a homebrew system for Zelda races, classes and backgrounds I found (and which recently got a beastiary done for it too!)
>>
I hate Volo's Guide to Monsters
>>
>>51301307
>Activate gaze of ruin
>Blink
>OH SATAN MY EYELIDS!
>>
>>51301132
You can attack twice on the turn you cast it, for 6d10+Int(See further) force damage.

Evocation wizards add intelligence to damage rolls. So 3d10+Int beats 3d8+Wis for a level 7 Spiritual Weapon.

Wizards don't get spiritual weapon.

250 GP is chump change in average magic settings at level 10, let alone level 13.
>>
File: but-why.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
but-why.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>51301374
>>
Our DM isn't paying us pretend gold to be murderhobos.

We haven't even got a reward for the last 6 large things we've murdered. How do we bring up the need to be paid for murder?
>>
>>51301307
Make that Mantle of Misfortune once per long rest. It's still an extremely overpowered ability.
>>
>>51297003
Dark Sun templars were basically warlocks, not paladins. In fact, in 4e, that's exactly what they were.
>>
>>51301419
harvest monster carcasses, sell to mad wizards.
>>
What class would you recommend for a player who wants to play something "like a vampire"?

Assassin Rogue? Death Cleric? Necro Wizard? Some sort of dip into Druid?
>>
>>51301419
Become brigands and start robbing travelers and ransoming them back to their families :^)
>>
>>51301307
For comparison's sake, in 4e, Broken Mirror and Blightseer racial powers looked like this:

Mantle of Misfortune: Until the end of your next turn, enemies within 5 squares suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls. If they miss with an attack, you can slide them 1 square as a free action.

Gaze of Ruin: Target one creature, weapon, or suit of armor within 10 feet to apply a penalty that lasts until the end of your next turn. A creature gains Vulnerability (All) equal to 1/2 your level + your Int modifier (minimum of 1). A weapon suffers a penalty to damage rolls equal to your Int modifier (minimum of 1). Armor reduces its AC value by -2.

>>51301428
That's definitely an option. I'd like to preserve the "once per encounter" aspect if I can, because these powers were pretty key to their identities in 5e. So, yeah, definitely ready to rewrite.

What do you think of the Blightseer? Is it overpowered? Hideously overpowered? Oh-my-god overpowered?
>>
>>51301307
>Mantle of Misfortune

WHOOOAAAAA Back up there homie! Buh-ruh-hoken as fuuuuuck!!

At best, pick a single target that has to make a DC save vs your Charimsa. And make it an action. AND a long rest.Whew.

Haven't even read the rest yet, just had to stop the bus and tell you right now.
>>
>in campaign, its meant to be a little silly and fun
>everyone is roleplaying their character well, except for one person
>she's playing a mage who's basically just a spoiled little shit who got kicked out into the real world
>is a gigantic lootwhore and has recently taken to blasting whatever she takes to be even a remote threat with fireballs, even in public settings or when its an NPC who's important, making my role as the party face pointless
what the fuck do you do with this kind of person, the DM apparently finds her lolsorandumb antics amusing and isnt taking any sorta action
at this point i might just resort to killing the character like a real chaotic stupid murderhobo
>>
Hey /5eg/gentlemen,
I've got my players trying to escape a shanty town/refugee camp during a werewolf outbreak at night.

I need ideas for people/encounters they can run into running through, hiding in the huts and shacks.
>>
>>51301498
>even in public settings
Jail or a public hanging
>>
Was there a Sorcerer bloodline that could do healing or am I confusing things?
>>
>>51301454
Shadow Monk
>>
>>51301535
Opium den
An orgy
Child slaves in a sweatshop
Elf Cheech & Chong
A bunch of nerds playing the 5th edition of Sepulchers & Serpents
>>
Alright, still want to fix up the Broken Mirror & Blightseer tieflings, but this is a genasi variant inspired by both 4e & 3.5 variants I've been trying to balance. Help, please?

Dust Genasi:
+1 Wisdom
Necrotic Resistance
Entropic Touch: Once per short rest, a dust genasi can attempt to make an Entropic Touch as an unarmed strike. On a hit, this strike inflicts Necrotic damage qual to the Genasi's Wisdom modifier. If used against an object, the dust genasi can continue inflicting this damage by maintaining its touch on the object.
Writhing Dust: Once per long rest, a dust genasi may assume a Dust Form. Treat this as a Gaseous Form spell that lasts for 1 minute and which slithers across the ground at the genasi's normal speed, ignoring difficult terrain, instead of flying.

>>51301624
Favored Soul Sorcerer that chose the Life Domain can cast Cure Wounds.
>>
>>51301475
>a single target that has to make a DC save vs your Charimsa. And make it an action. AND a long rest.

That would be absolute garbage. Might as well just fart on the keyboard and call it a day at that point

>>51301466
>That's definitely an option. I'd like to preserve the "once per encounter" aspect if I can, because these powers were pretty key to their identities in 5e. So, yeah, definitely ready to rewrite.

Make it apply to ALL other creatures in the area. That way it has to be used with some thought, and it fits the flavor too.
>>
>>51301535
A group of pretty vampires hellbent on killing the werewolves because of a love triangle with a bar maid who has zero personality.
>>
>>51301647
Hmm... yes, I had considered the "Misfortune is indiscriminate" angle. That's definitely worth using. Any other suggestions for fixing Broken Mirrors?

Also, is the Blightseer powerful enough as-is, or should I give it some ribbons to go with its Gaze of Ruin?

Incidentally, I don't know where the 5e rules on gaze attacks are, or I would have cribbed them for it.
>>
>>51301017
Where is the SCAG?
>>
>>51301454
pick twilight druid. then fucking purge yourself.
drinking blood is gay.
>>
>>51301396
Wizards should be using Bigby's Hand. Mord's Sword is also a bard spell, however.
>>
>>51301735
Sword Coast Adventurer Guide, in the Mega trove
>>
Is wild magic sorcerer the best class to play if I want to kill the rest of the party at level 1 and want to make it look like an accident?
>>
>>51301454
Undying Warlock, Shadow Monk, Twilight Druid
Probably some level of multiclassing between those?
>>
>>51301738
Here's the (You) you wanted
>>
I need suggestions for the name of a mercenary company for my characters backstory.

Any help would be appreciated
>>
>>51301824
it does work though
>twilight druids are bound by code to purge undead on sight
>background haunted one
>name?
>not importent
>ideals
>I'm a monster that kills other monsters
>vows to kill himself when he's rid the world of undead and those who practice or preserve necromancy.
>>
File: kyros.png (85KB, 525x525px) Image search: [Google]
kyros.png
85KB, 525x525px
>>51297003
>Monks and Paladins I'm still drawing a blank on.
Easy - monks are athletes. They practics pankration (Greek martial arts, a combination of boxing and wrestling) and hone their bodies with intense athletic practice.

I'm actually playing a Greek-inspired monk who's an athletic philosopher in a game right now. It works really well thematically.
>>
>>51301674
>>51301643
Thanks guys :)
>>
>>51301396
I didn't think to attack twice when it first appears. Still seems pretty awful though honestly.
>>
>>51301680
For comparisons, Vicious Mockery is a cantrip and Bane is a first level spell. It sounds like Bane.

If not Bane, combine disadvantage and next miss choose one: pull 5 feet, push 5 feet, or Dex save or Prone.

For Ruin, you could use bonus damage equal to level, like some Volo's races.
>>
>>51301864
Crazy 88
The Reavers
Those guys
The Motley Crew
12 guys with swords
Stevie and the stabbers
>>
>>51301396
Mordenkainen's Sword is concentration. Spiritual Weapon isn't.
>>
>>51301924
Ultimately both spells need you to provide a reason to not just walk 25 feet and ignore it, which cleric is better able to provide with better melee presence and free concentration.
>>
>>51301905
So, if I'm following you, rewrite Mantle of Misfortune and Gaze of Ruin to something like this?

Mantle of Misfortune: Once per short rest, as a bonus action, you erect an aura that covers an area of 20 feet and lasts for 1 + 1/2 Cha modifier rounds (round down). All creatures within this aura apart from you suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls. If a creature affected by the Mantle misses an attack, you can choose to either Pull it 5 feet, Push it 5 feet, or force it to make Dexterity save or fall Prone.

Gaze of Ruin: Once per short rest, you can use an attack action to activate your Gaze of Ruin, which lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. Whilst active, you have a gaze attack that inflicts Vulnerability (Physical) and inflicts Necrotic damage equal to your level on creatures that succumb to it. Directing your gaze attack on an object lets you inflict Necrotic damage equal to your level + your Charisma modifier.
>>
any dnd-like webcomics you guys recommend?
>>
>>51301937
Mord's Sword could've been good for just providing something to do with your bonus actions at the cost of concentration, but Bigby's Hand does the same thing except better and for a lower level spell slot.
>>
>>51302042
If you're in for just humor and are okay with raunchy jokes, Oglaf is a fucking goldmine.
>>
>>51301864

Jim's Company.
The Swans
Black Charn's Torches
>>
>>51302042
Goblins.
But the creator is a fucking hack that never updates and bleeds any fans he has left for every penny they're worth while having the artistic ability and opinions of a 12 year old deviantartist.

Still read it.
>>
>>51302094
For what possible reason would you recommend goblins
>>
>>51302179
I still read it, figures that earns it a recommendation.
>>
>>51302042

Errant Story.

Did finish years back though.
>>
>>51296144
Didn't have a lot of these; thanks!
>>
>>51296502
Paladin is too restrictive to most people.
EK sucks most of the time as spellcaster.

And thus people seek better ways to gish.

Rogue2/Bladesinger 2

Swashbuckler 3/Dragon sorcerer 1

Monk/Druid

Monk/Cleric

Valour bard

Etc.
>>
>>51299376
I wouldn't think it's a great thing to go for but if you want to, remember that CR doesn't align with character level - its for FOUR characters of that level. Use the better Druid archetype as a guide for how to set the CRs.

Seriously though, as a homebrew fanatic, it's probably going to be either overpowered or memed the fuck up so don't embarrass everyone by posting it till you've figured out the best possible thing for the class to use and removed it as an option.
>>
File: Hexblade v1.3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Hexblade v1.3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51296613
>>51296644
>>51297003
I haven't posted this for about a year and a half, but people who want something kinda like the Paladin but more like a warlock than a cleric might enjoy this class. It was designed to be mechanically similar to the paladin to help ensure balance.
>>
>>51296502
Being a martial is cool for physical tricks
Magic is also cool

Having both makes it DOUBLE COOL
>>
>>51301454
a vampire
>>
>>51301454
Just play a goddamned overpowered piece of shit vampire
>>
>>51302013
It should still only last until the end of your next turn, and you need to phrase the action use and stuff better. Most racial abilities are weaker.
>>
>>51302529
You need to me more specific about which one you're referring to, because I have no clue.
>>
>>51302688
No, both.
>>
Sup, /5eg/.

Not sure if anyone else has done a thing, but a friend and I did a thing. Figured I'd share.
>>
So there is a bard in my campaign, i like the guy, he's new but a solid player. I was thinking of somehow...getting him to get a "muse" which would give him special benefits and/or bonuses.

Initial thoughts were something like Cleric Domains. Extra known spells + channel Muse feature.

Recommendations? Suggestions? Thoughts?
>>
Why are the belts of giant strength just better than the other stat altering items? Suddenly being able to go up to +9 when you could normally only reach +5 seems a little crazy.
>>
>>51302529
>>51302696
You mean like this,then?

Mantle of Misfortune: As a bonus action, you can erect an aura that covers an area of 20 feet. All creatures within this aura apart from you suffer Disadvantage on their attack rolls and, on a missed attack, can be moved 5 feet in a direction of your choice. The aura lasts until the end of your next turn. This power can be used once, and then cannot be used again until you have completed a short rest.

Gaze of Ruin: As an action, you can target one creature or object that you can see with a Gaze of Ruin. The target immediately takes Necrotic damage equal to your level + your Charisma modifier and gains Vulnerability (All) until the end of your next turn. You can use this power once, and then cannot use it again until you have completed a short rest.
>>
>>51298964
this is the single greatest character ever made
>>
>>51302300
Your welcome.
>>
>>51298964
>Bar is a huge fag.

Who is this memelord and how does he know Bar is a fag?
>>
>>51302937
Yeah, that's a lot neater.
>>
Folks? A simple query... amongst the many races I'm trying to homebrew for 5e is a Huldra, for more fey-friendly games. Now, the Kobold Press version is a little more interesting than the Pathfinder version - yes, I know both versions are monsters only - with an ability called "Back of Bark". Basically, this lets it use Tree Shape as a supernatural ability by turning its back to any non-fey creature.

This is interesting flavor, matches the Huldra's iconic lore as having a wooden/hollow back, and would be a neat trick for a race to have.

Just one small problem... how the hell do you pull it off?

I mean, the intent isn't to be uber-powerful with it; this transformation doesn't heal you, it doesn't make you invisible, it doesn't boost your armor or your stats, in fact, you can't even *do* anything in tree-shape other than perceive the world around you, so it's basically a unique stealthing gimmick.

But, still, how do you make something like this a power that fits neatly into the 5e racial paradigm?
>>
>>51303102
Really? Alright, groovy. Now, with their core abilities set, any ideas on how to flesh out the rest of what makes the Broken Mirrors and Blightseers special?

I mean, they should probably get a ribbon ability or two - I can see something like Broken Mirrors getting an inspiration point if somebody near them fumbles or Blightseers being resistant to necrotic damage - but I don't really have any clear ideas what to give them.
>>
File: 1477213822768.jpg (64KB, 579x506px) Image search: [Google]
1477213822768.jpg
64KB, 579x506px
>>51302937
>vulnerability to everything for an entire turn AND extra damage

You've literally just given them a much better version of grave cleric's channel divinity
Fuck this

Mantle of misfortune is probably okay but lame in comparison to darkness. Darkness takes an action, and you or your teammates can't benefit from it iwthout stuff like devil's sight. However, it's much cooler because you can use it outside of combat.

These are just combat buffs.
>>
Hey, Meganon, if you're here could you please add the Firearms and future weapons from the DMG to 5etools please?
>>
>>51303316
I didn't realize they weren't in there. I'll get them in there before long.
>>
>>51303337
You're a saint, man.
>>
>>51303296
>>51302937

Both +1 wisdom and +1 dexterity are way better than +1 int. Tiefling's biggest problem is that they have +2 cha +1 int - who the heck needs charisma AND intellect?

So, tiefling loses +1 int, fire resistance and darkness/thaumaturgy/hellish rebuke..

I'd say +1 dex/wisd balances out losing thaumaturgy and hellish rebuke and +1 int. So it's a tradeoff of fire resistance and one cast of darkness.

A super grave cleric channel divinity is too strong. Waaaay too strong. Double damage for an entire round? That's worth much more than a possible resistance and spell that may or may not be helpful.
Grave cleric's feature is per short rest, takes a full action and only boosts ONE instance of damage. And it's actually quite good if you pair it up with some massive-damage-source like a good paladin smite or a powerful spell.
Maybe make gaze of ruin have more uses (grave cleric gets 2 uses at level 6 per short rest) but only affect one attack each.

Mantle of misfortune.. Yes, okay, if you trade it off for fire resistance and darkness and you don't get the 'luck eater' thing then it balances out. If you do.. It's probably overpowered.
>>
>>51303427
Alright... well, the current outline for the subraces looks like this, based on your conversation:

Broken Mirror Tiefling:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Mantle of Misfortune: As a bonus action, you can erect an aura that covers an area of 20 feet. All creatures within this aura apart from you suffer Disadvantage on their attack rolls and, on a missed attack, can be moved 5 feet in a direction of your choice. The aura lasts until the end of your next turn. This power can be used once, and then cannot be used again until you have completed a short rest.

Blightseer Tiefling:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
Gaze of Ruin: As an action, you can target one creature or object that you can see with a Gaze of Ruin. The target immediately takes Necrotic damage equal to your level + your Charisma modifier. You can use this power once, and then cannot use it again until you have completed a short rest.
>>
>>51303591
Broken mirror is probably looking good. Pretty much anyone who wants +2 charisma will want +1 dex as well unless they're a paladin, in which case it still helps them.
I might throw in some sort of flavourful ability though, such as .. I'm not sure. Might be cool if they had a 1/day spell which causes a slight bit of bad luck to whoever it's cast upon - A trip hazard just so happening to be in the way as the target's walking about, their campfire burning out faster than usual, water spilling out of a gutter voer them as they walk past. That sort of thing. Might be useful, but generally more of a fun ability than anything and the DM can always say 'well, something bad will happen when you can't see them' if they don't want to put up with it.

Blightseer.. The problem is that as a full action, it's.. Actually not so bad considering it's gauranteed to work, but it'd be fine as a bonus action since it's weaker than fire resistance/darkness right now I'd say and +1wis+2cha is probably slightly worse than +1dex+2cha, but only slightly.. That said, it's a bit boring, and requiring a whole action makes it scale really poorly. Vulnerability was cool but you have to regulate it to be more like grave cleric's feature, I guess. I'd also give them a secondary flavourful ability like I suggested for broken mirror, but I'm not sure what.
I might actually do it more like 'Once/short rest, action, deal [LEVEL] damage then make them vulnerable to next instance of damage'
>>
File: lucky feat with disadvantage.webm (805KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
lucky feat with disadvantage.webm
805KB, 320x180px
>>51303316
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Antimatter%20Rifle

Here you go, senpai. Explosives are in there, too.
>>
>>51298964
You have to let him play that. He put so much work into it.
>>
>>51303836
I know I always say this, but you're the best thing to ever happen to /5eg/. Thank you again.
>>
>>51303758
Fluffwise, Broken Mirrors do cause pretty much everyone around them to get a run of bad luck unless the Broken Mirror has "cursed someone" (used Mantle of Misfortune, basically) recently. But, it's hard to make that more than a fluff angle. I mean, I could just go with the "anyone within 5 feet of you suffers (Disadvantage on Dex checks/the effects of Critical Fumbles); this includes allies unless you have used Mantle of Misfortune within the last 24 hours", but, well, you can see the cheesiness in that, can't you?

Yes, Blightseers are giving me a real headache with hitting that flavorful/fun/balanced sweetspot. Hmm... I wonder...how does this look?

Gaze of Ruin: When making an attack, you can use your Gaze of Ruin as part of the attack action. One creature targeted by your attack automatically takes Necrotic damage equal to your Charisma and, if the attack hits, takes bonus damage from that attack equal to your level. Once you have used this trait, you must complete a short rest or a long rest before using it again.

Or, alternatively, trying my hand at your version...
Gaze of Ruin: As an action, you can target one creature or object that you can with your Gaze of Ruin. The target immediately takes Necrotic damage equal to your level + your Charisma modifier. If the target is hit by another attack before the end of your next turn, it counts as having Vulnerability to that attack. Only the first attack made against it gains this bonus. Once you have used this power, you cannot use it again until you have completed a short rest or a long rest.
>>
>>51303877
Frak! Those versions are supposed to be Necro damage equal to Cha modifier and Necro damage equal to level, respectively.
>>
>>51303877
The first gaze of ruin is alright. Competes a little iwth protector aasimar's ability that gives damage once a turn on attacks, but to be honest aasimar is kind of overpowered.
But it's dreadfully boring.

The second one... My only concern there is it says 'attack'. Which might be fine, but it means you can't do the damage with save spells or whatever. Would prevent it from being wasted on a 1 damage over time thing or something, though. Could probably just say 'won't double ongoing damage' or something.
>>
What's the closest desert to Sword Coast? I'm making a character for a friend's game and I kinda want to make an Arabian esque dude. I know the civilization with the Egyptian gods are dead now though.
>>
File: felipe-escobar-items.jpg (149KB, 1466x600px) Image search: [Google]
felipe-escobar-items.jpg
149KB, 1466x600px
>>51296094
Whoa, I've been on the road for a while, can someone tell me the good, bad and ugly about the UA Artificer class?
>>
>>51304034
Good: balanced, fun, simple, flavorful.

Bad: limited options in spells and subclasses, class feels narrow.

Ugly: class features that are just "get a magic item" that can be lost, CR 2 beast-equivalent mechanical servant that feels out of place with no scaling before or after, lack of decent crafting rules makes most of its tool proficiencies largely useless fluff.
>>
>>51303993
Wait, is ongoing damage actually still a thing in 5e? I thought that went out with 4e! If I'd known it was, I would have been on a different angle with it.

Like... how does this look?

Gaze of Ruin: As an action, you can unleash a Gaze of Ruin. When using this power, you can either target one creature you can see and impose Vulnerability to the next attack it takes before the end of your next turn, or unleash a 15ft cone of decay. All creatures in this cone, including allies, must succeed on a Constitution check or take ongoing Necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier + your Wisdom modifier. This ongoing damage lasts until they succeed on a Constitution save, and they can retake their save at the end of each of your turns. Once you have used this power, you cannot use it again until you complete a short rest or a long rest.

Okay, maybe this is a little too powerful, but if I'd known that ongoing damage was still a thing, I would have gone with the "inflict a creeping decay with your eyes" angle.
>>
>>51304034
>Good
I like at-will abilities - their archetypes grant them a few interesting at-will abilities.
Items are created as level featuures - that's how it should be.
The class in general, spellcasting.
>Bad
You can't replace magic items you made with artificer if you lose them.
The level 6 feature. It just feels... Wrong. Not only is it a power spike at level 6 instead of 5, but at lower levels it's just overpowered, considering it seems you can heal it. And otherwise it seems to be a 'once per two long rests' thing if it does get beaten up lots. Doesn't scale well into late level. It's fun, but it should be an archetype thing and artificers should get a different combat buff. Shame if it is an archetype though, because thunderstick+beartank.
Alchemist's healing draught is a non-option, thunderstone islikely to be taken at level 3 anyway. Then no other choices until level 9.
>Ugly
The item attunement features. They either do something or don't do someting. Attunement should limit how many items can be attuned to one person to avoid things breaking, and the artificer should instead have 'free attunement to artificer items'. Either it'll make you too powerful or do nothing at all. Probably nothing at all.
Thieves' tools expertise is compulsory
While it is a non-option, if you have a rogue with thieves' tools expertise you can't choose some other tools instead without asking your DM.
Gunsmith is kinda boring. Needs more utility. I guess it's supposed to be easy to play?
>>
>>51304083
They don't use the term "ongoing damage" but yes, there are effects that cause (the target/that creature takes X [type] damage at the beginning of each of their turns until [removal condition, generally passing a save or any creature uses an action to end the effect]).
>>
>>51304118
>>51304034
That said I might put spellcasting on 'ugly' because while it's a nice utility for support you don't get a lot of abilities to use with infusions.

>>51304083
Ongoing isn't really normally a thing, but I'd use it as a catch-all term for things like witch bolt, heat metal or standing on fire or in a hazard.

I think it probably balances out. Just avoid wording it 'including allies' because creatures automatically includes allies and make it more like 'They make a con save. If they fail, they're affected. At the start of each of their turns, they take damage and then roll a con save to attempt to end the effect.'
>>
>>51304125
>>51304083
Look at the spell Searing Smite. That's how you should template 4e-style Ongoing Damage in 5e.
>>
>>51304125
>>51304147
>>51304180

Sure, okay, thanks. So, with the "ongoing damage or vulnerability" options for Gaze of Ruin, do the Blightseers need anything else, or is that ability strong enough that they don't need any further powers/ribbons?

And for an attempt to rework it...

Gaze of Ruin: As an action, you can unleash a Gaze of Ruin. When using this power, you can either target one creature you can see and impose Vulnerability to the next attack it takes before the end of your next turn, or unleash a 15ft cone of decay. All creatures in this cone must make a Constitution save. On a failed save, the creature takes Necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier + your Wisdom modifier and begins to rot. Whilst rotting, it must make a Constitution save at the start of each of its turns; on a successful save, the decay ends, whilst on a failed save, it takes Necrotic damage again. The rot continues until the creature passes its save or dies. Once you have used this power, you cannot use it again until you complete a short rest or a long rest.
>>
>>51301454
Long Death Monk with rapier added to their monk weapons.
>>
Guys, need to decide, Path of the Zealot Barbarian with Ilmater as my devotion, or Underdark Sorc?
>>
>>51303836
Everything you touch turns to gold, but not in an ironic greek hell kinda way
Vecna bless you, my son
>>
Anybody got any good advice for city/urban encounters, and/or things I should have in the city aside from the bar?
>>
>>51301454
flavored lizardfolk with warlock as class
>>
I'm playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen and my players are about to get the opinion to enter the Sanctuary and fight Cyanwraith, and one of them is a Cleric with a Nature based Divinity, the same Divinity the Sanctuary has, although not the same god, should I give him some kind of bonus in combat for this coincidence?
>>
>>51304215
DEUS VULT
>>
File: lorica segmentata.jpg (36KB, 558x568px) Image search: [Google]
lorica segmentata.jpg
36KB, 558x568px
What's the best armor in the list to represent the Roman lorica segmentata?
>>
>>51304510
Splint.
>>
>>51304547
Thanks. That sounds about right.
>>
>>51296174
>Wild Magic Sorcerer getting up into melee to put out shit damage while standing on top of most of the party instead of off in a corner like he should be
>shits out retardeded AoEs that start blowing up and tripping everyone
What a faggot. Seems like you should cut your party down to the recommended max.
>>
>>51298971
I mean if we're talking purely in terms of DnD,5e has arguably the greatest balance between martials and casters (except arguably 4th, but they just made them the same). Saves are more consistent instead of ranging from automatic success to "roll a 20 or die", few effects can lock you down completely without allowing a save every round and spell damage is a bit more in line with martial damage, albeit bursty instead of consistent. The main difference between them now is that casters are more versatile: the addition of cantrips such as minor illusion, mage hand, guidance etc. allow casters to perform out of combat better than skill monkeys in many situations and their combat cantrips give them an edge too allowing them to slow, grant disadvantage, prevent reactions and so on. Martials have been given more than in previous additions too: fighters have access to maneuvers, monks have ki, barbarians and rogues need to manage reckless attacks and cunnings actions respectively. Forcing wizards to have even greater chances to fail at their spells may make them less desirable but that's not fixing the problem at its source. I've seen systems use that sort of thing effectively (See fantasycraft) but that's usually in conjunction with more powerful spells. I will never say that a fighter is going to outdo a wizard in a vacuum, but without the guy that can actually stand without five feet of something and not piss his pants that wizard shouldn't step out of that tower.

Besides, if you need a co-operative game to be finely balanced you probably need to man up and accept that not everyone is equal.
>>
>>51304748
I don't know, casters don't really need a fighter accompanying them.

Ranged combat without any front line works if you're not in a really tight space - Just stay out of range of the monster and they can't even attack anyone.
Wizards get the 'shield' spell, druids can turn into tanky bears, Warlocks.. Eh, warlocks have repelling blast to make sure the enemy never reaches them and a few things like at-will false life and light armour..

If they fixed up moon druid and didn't do stupid shit like >bladesinger then it'd probably balance out better. Valor bards and clerics still have pretty good AC, though, 1d8 hitdice.. They don't feel like they're much squishier than a fighter. Might even have a higher AC than a fighter with a two-handed weapon.
>>
DMs of /5eg/

How do you play D&D? Do you actively try to beat your characters? Or do you try and provide a fun game for your players?

I feel like my DM is just trying to beat us rather than DM a fun game.

Also slightly unrelated, the DM just monotonously reads the campaign books and consistently mispronounces the names in the book. It's making it very hard to want to take notes or pay attention.
>>
>>51304962
I let them try anything they want but if its bad role play I make it hard for them, I reward role play. All and all I want them to win because a TPK is never fun.
>>
>>51301132
Yah, Mordenkainen's Sword is pretty bad
>>
>>51301646
I fail to see how a 1/rest unarmed strike which can deal up to + 5 damage is of any use

Just do add Necrotic damage equal to level once per rest to a an attack
>>
>>51301773
Just stay 20ft. away from your allies when you cast a spell
>>
>>51302911
Because Strength isn't that useful
>>
Been at the task of converting an old 3.5 Warlock character to 5e for a new campaign, and I'm running into trouble. In spite of superficial similarities, 5e Warlock looks like a rather different beast to its predecessor in Complete Arcane. And I'm becoming frustrated by all of its limitations.

Spell-like abilities are gone, and in place of at-will abilities are cantrips, and the most pitiful dearth of spell slots. The invocation system provides only a handful of at-will options, few of which have any combat utility. On the other hand, any invocation that spends a spell slot is a raw deal. And taking the one or two invocations for your pact boon looks like paying a feature tax. Even with higher level spells via Mystic Arcanum, the spell selection is highly limited, and each spell can only be used once per day. All of these problems seem to seriously hinder Warlock's potential.

Granted, Complete Arcane Warlock had a whole different set of significant limitations. But can 5e Warlock make for a good analogue for a 3.5 Warlock? Can anything, really? Should I even try?
>>
>>51304021
Anauroch
>>
>>51304118
Wait, what's wrong with healing draught?
>>
>>51304413
No, it's dedicated to Tiamat an evil dragon goddess
>>
>>51305178
I think he meant non-option as in it's not even an option to not take it.
>>
>>51305093
>Because Strength isn't that useful
Its infinitely useful though if you know how to use it, for instance I use it on my barbarian with soldier background to construct large vehicles.
>>
Find Steed...
>Paladin 5: Spellcasting
>Bard 6: Additional Magical Secrets (College of Lore)
>Bard 10: Magical Secrets
>Rogue 13: Use Magic Device (Thief) + Scroll of Find Steed

Any other way through RAW?
I'm about to try something extremely janky and MAD and I think the special mounts from this spell are the only way to make it work.
>>
>>51305184
No, its not, it says in the adventure book its a sanctuary to Chauntea. You're probably thinking of the 2nd fight with cyanwraith, this is the first one you're not intended to win in Greenest
>>
I need a name for a young paladin who's trying to make himself sound important. Any ideas?
>>
>>51304962
I used to play a game called Zombie master that I think taught me the best way to DM.
In that game it really is you vs the players, you make zombies, have limited resources, and need to kill the players to win.
Thing is, the best ways to win are cheap as fuck, and on the turns you're one of the players you see these shit ZM's just spamming one type of zombie at you and it's basically unfun for everyone involved.
The good ones wittle you down and let you be a hero, only punishing you if you're doing particularly bad. That's not to say they don't try to kill you, they just try to hold victory JUUUST out of your grasp, instead of hammering it away from you. The secret is getting a feel for your party and knowing where that sweet spot is without being too obvious about it.
>>
File: 1463996074630.png (358KB, 710x484px) Image search: [Google]
1463996074630.png
358KB, 710x484px
>>51296094
What are some things you could add onto the Champion to make it a bit more appealing to those who write it off as boring?

Static +1 damage or to hit somewhere along the line? Change Remarkable Athlete to give longer jumps or a climb speed or something? Some other ribbon abilities?
>>
>>51305473
Sir Henric Von RadianceLightMcKingmaker
>>
>>51305494
Perfect.

It's actually for my Bard infiltrating the king's holy order.[/spoilers]
>>
>>51305473
Name the Thing or Name of Place.
For instance, Barristan the Bold or Heinrich of Donau.
>>
File: 1469304001893.png (401KB, 960x952px) Image search: [Google]
1469304001893.png
401KB, 960x952px
>>51296094
What do you think of a game where there are no Bards or Wizards? Setting only has one source of arcane magic and that's pact magic
>>
>>51305673
Is there a reason you want to restrict those classes or are you just trying to make a world different for the sake of being different?
>>
>>51305753
I've no beef with them mechanically, they just happen to be the victims of lore based arcane magic restrictions. Bard is actually one of my favorite classes

They wouldn't be cut out entirely, more like unavailable at character creation and available for new characters or multiclassing after the world is explored for a bit
>>
>>51305767
Then sounds like your focus should be on why arcane stuff is restricted.

Big event/catastrophe caused by arcane means?
Political shift because of dickish politicians?
Are magical items confiscated?
How's it enforced? An inquisition type thing? How's it punished?
And more importantly are your players going to give a fuck about it? How does it affect them.
>>
File: 1380153261645.gif (3MB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
1380153261645.gif
3MB, 300x203px
>>51305777
It's not restricted per say, more like inaccessible due to the influence of not!gods.

Guess I could just ask em.
>>
>>51305798
So is it more like "the otherwordly patrons are winning, and repressing one major factor that could challenge them"?
>>
File: 1463611123572.jpg (20KB, 287x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463611123572.jpg
20KB, 287x480px
>>51305809
Little more on the "you are so beneath these beings they use a flavor of magic you couldn't use even if you tried. Your options are praying to them for watered down magic, becoming their fuccboi slaveboy, or laughing at them and hitting them with a sword until they die" side

Humanity is like a child only now learning to walk. The not!gods are chiseled immortals with wizard levels. They stand in the way of your destination, so you bargain with em or attempt to kill em, which his possible because they're mortal
>>
>>51305837
Okay then that does sound interesting, totally misunderstood the direction. Just make sure you outline some basic functions of the world to the players so they know where they stand off the bat.
>>
File: CkUPeb8.gif (1MB, 240x130px) Image search: [Google]
CkUPeb8.gif
1MB, 240x130px
>>51305855
Totes
>>
Any way to make longswords useful for non-shield fighters?
>>
>>51305868
Longsword and open hand with Tavern Brawler is pretty fun. Lots of grapples and pushing really works with terrain around you or just moving people into better positions
>>
>>51305347
You're referencing two separate encounters. There's the sanctuary to Chauntea, where the party has to rescue a large amount of civillians from a temple surrounded by raiders, and the duel with Cyanwrath, which happens right in front of the keep, as he comes to make a challenge.
>>
Anyone got a good idea on what to dip for a Twilight Druid to take advantage of being able to add an extra d10 on spells?

Was thinking of a nice, safe blast spell just to have it up my sleeve when needed.
Also heard that Magic Missile synergizes to the point where you can add a d10 for every bolt so that's tempting as fuck.

Am I missing something or should I just dip a level in wizard?
Would warlock work since you get Eldritch Blast? Though that'd require a to-hit roll and would be a bit less damage.
>>
>>51306250
Why spend a level? Grab magic initiate and cast it with your druid slots.
>>
>>51306271
That is actually a fair point. Though it'd be nice to have access to it below level 4 but it depends on what level we're gonna start on I suppose.

I honestly had completely forgotten that Magic Initiate was a thing.
Though would it be a dumb idea to dip a level to get magic missile and then get Magic Initiate for something like hex?

Though I don't think that'd be really needed..
>>
>>51306289
To elaborate on this, I just realized that SCAG has the Arcana Cleric, which would cut down on the MAD and also grant me Magic Missile. Good idea or no?
>>
How's this for a Harpoon Gun?

>Harpoon Gun 1d12 piercing 20 lb. Ammunition (range 50/200), heavy, reload (1 shot), two-handed, special

Special. A harpoon fired by this weapon embeds itself on the target. A creature can make a DC 20 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns to free itself from the harpoon. It can also use its action to make a DC 15 Strength check with the same purpose.

Ammunition. The ammunition of the harpoon gun is a harpoon with 50 feet of silk rope attached to its end. One single piece of ammunition costs 20 gp and is difficult to find.
>>
>>51306250
The ability is broken. You can do this, but if your DM lets you do it then it's their fault when super magic missiles obliterate literally everything with a statblock.
>>51306271
You cannot do that unless your class can ordinarily learn the spell.
>>
>>51306385
I wouldn't use it on the regular, my character will mainly be focused on as much crowd control/buffs as possible.

Our group has a tendency to get fucked by the dice so it's nice to have an "ace in the hole" to give me as many tools as I can to save my party. Having this nuke to drop when I truly need it is pretty good.

My druid will mostly be built around area of denial, buffs and debuffs.
>>
>>51306406
Even so, the fact your DM is giving you something that could one shot Tiamat with no sweat is concerning. If your DM wanted you to be able to do that, they'd give you some broken OP magic item.

UA sutff is usually not properly designed for multiclassing. The DM shoudln't allow it with non-druid spells, but they might allow it for anything but magic missile if they're that nice.
>>
>>51303591
Hmmm I was wondering about this and seems interesting.
What about you making it: 1+CHA mod per long rest you can force disadvantage on ability check, saving throw or attack roll made within 30 feet of you. If the check fails by 10 or more, or one of the rolls is nat 1 a mishap determed by the gm affects the target?
>>
>>51296094
How do dragons guard their treasure while their out of their lair collecting more?
>>
>>51306449
Depends on the dragon. Some would hide their lairs well. Some would lay traps, either physical or magical, to protect it. Some would fill their lairs with monsters like kobolds to protect it for them, or some would simply make lairs in locations so inhospitable or difficult to reach they won't have to worry.
>>
>>51306437
Most of our campaigns usually never go above 10, and out of the three campaigns we've done thus far in 5e, I don't think we've ever had a magic item besides a wand and a spear in CoS.

Druid UA also has the limit of only being able to spend necrotic dice equal to half your druid level.
Also, it doesn't seem to have a limit of how many you can roll on a single spell. "When you roll damage for a spell, you can
increase that damage by spending dice from the
pool. You can spend a number of dice equal to
half your druid level or less."

Which means that even without Magic Missile, you could still dump like 4 or 5 d10's in a single spell it seems.
>>
>>51306483
Actually you have a number of d10s equal to your Druid level that recover on a long rest, not half of your level. You are correct in that you may only use half of your maximum on each spell though, presumably to stop you from just burning all of them on one turn and decimating everything instantly.

I also don't think it's meant to work as has been mentioned above with Magic Missile. It's an additional xd10 to the spell overall, not to each individual missile. I imagine you'd pick one target and they would take the additional d10s in damage, not every single hit gaining an additional xd10.
>>
>>51306633
Actually, scrap that. I'm correct, but for a different reason. It says "When you roll damage for a spell, you can increase that damage by spending dice from the pool.". Each bolt has a separately rolled amount of damage, so you'd augment the damage of a single missile while the rest would all do normal damage.
>>
File: 300px-Vecna4e.jpg (200KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Vecna4e.jpg
200KB, 300x453px
I'm gonna play a cleric of Vecna and as his dogmas tell, I shouldn't go around telling everyone that I'm a Vecna's worshipper.
What are good deities that I can pretend to follow? I will use some necromancy, so something that have connections with death would be nice.
>>
>>51306359

Should do more damage on hit.
Should do damage on removal.
Should have a minimum travel distance, like 10ft. if you get hit, you get knocked back that 10 feet. If a wall or other obstacle gets in the way you are pinned to it.
Ammunition should not be destroyed (it is essentially throwing a sword at someone)
Con save to not fall prone when hit.
Str check to remove from obstacle > Str check to remove from self
Thread posts: 394
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.