[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 38

File: dwarf8.jpg (46KB, 640x566px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf8.jpg
46KB, 640x566px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51277241

What are the greatest meme builds of 5e?
>>
>>51283347
>What are the greatest meme builds of 5e?
Vengeance Paladin multiclassed into Fighter for Action Surge. You take Great Weapon Fighting and the Two Handed fighting style hoping your GM uses the raw reading of the style. Then you don't do anything until your party faces a boss and you just blow your divine load all at once.
>>
>>51283347
>Paladin 2/Sorcerer X
>Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X
>Any multiclass build intended to make Bladelock viable
>8 int wizard with no attack/save spells
>>
As a Thief Rogue, I can use my Cunning Action to throw Acid Vials and Alchemist Fires, right? I ask because I got into an argument with the DM about it. Need some concrete proof to show him that it works.
>>
>>51283701
Alchemist's Fire and Acid vials are not used with the "use an item" action, but as a unique action defined in their rules text, so no, you cannot.
>>
>>51283701
No fuck you
>>
>>51283586
>Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X
I'm not seeing the synergy here. Care to explain for me?
>>
>>51283347
Does anyone know of where I could find a good pirate ship map for my campaign?

My players have recently gotten one from a defeated adversary and I want it to function as their main transportation as well as something they can customize,
>>
>>51283823
It involves some unintended synergy between how damage is rolled for Magic Missile and the Twilight Druid's Harvest Scythe feature.

The necrotic d10s end up being applied to *each* dart from the spell.
>>
Speaking of Meme builds, I'm running a one shot for a Gaming 101 thing, and since last time I did a low powered game, this time I'd like to go a bit higher.

What are some good classes/backgrounds for a party of Halflings infiltrating a Halfling town suspected of being subverted by a demonic cult?
The plot is going to be "Figure out what's going on, then message the Paladin hit squad waiting in the wings once you can provide us with a nice juicy target."

I'm thinking Wizard Illusionist, Rogue *Something*, maybe Monk? Cleric? I'm not sure, honestly.
>>
>>51283760

If that's the case, the Thief's signature ability doesn't work with most adventuring gear, since a lot of it uses the same "as an action" wording, including ball bearings, caltrops, healer's kits and climber's kit.
>>
File: Ship.jpg (2MB, 1498x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Ship.jpg
2MB, 1498x1090px
>>51283877
Google.

But I won't be a dick, I googled it for you, found one that is half decent imo.
>>
>>51283912
That's how it works
>>
>>51283586
>>Any multiclass build intended to make Bladelock viable

intended being the keyword there
>>
>>51283961
It's not the greatest build, but it's definitely the "greatest meme" build.
>>
>>51283949

I disagree with that reading, but a source from Sage Advice or Jeremy Crawford's Twitter one way or the other would suffice.
>>
>>51283912
Which is why thief is one of the worst archetypes.
But for my group I let them use anything as a bonus action so long as it's not explicitly a magic item in conjunction with that feature. I think that was the intention. Even if it's not, it's more fun that way.
>>
>>51283924
I appreciate it buddy. Made my life easier.
>>
>>51283949
>When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action.
>>
>>51283891
>>51283823
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400

Confirms that.
>>
My players are about to fight in an arena for glory and riches. I have an entire tournament planned out with obstacle courses and combats, and probably some PvP fighting.

Have any of you ever done anything like this? Any suggestions for events?
Any suggestions for balancing the pvp?
>>
>>51283994

Here's the exception I take: If we assume that Thief's Fast Hands ability does not work with adventuring gear such as Acid Vials because you're using a "Bonus Action" instead of an Action, then it calls into question the effectiveness of the Incapacitated status effect (and similar effects) that say that you "can't take actions or reactions." Under the same reading, an incapacitated creature would still be able to use bonus actions, and that's just preposterous.
>>
>>51284046
For PVP, roll initiative for each round
>>
>>51284041
Speaking of which, this means magic missile works with the evocation wizard feature right?

How can I deal the most damage with magic missile?
I want to anime missile everything.
>>
>>51284046
Who's in the party?
>>
Anyone got that modification for Samurai UA that one anon did. I remember one skill call swallow cut or something
>>
>>51284093
But wouldn't that mean an effect that makes it so you "can't take actions or reactions" still allows spellcasters to use their bonus action spells?

Isn't that just as silly?
>>
>>51284106
A fighter, a wizard, a bard (valor), and an artificer (gun one).

Worried that the casters might dominate the sole martial but don't want to skew the balance too far in his favor either. He's a knight so I feel like if I gave him a mount he'd just blow right through them.
>>
File: 1420025161072.gif (2MB, 462x257px) Image search: [Google]
1420025161072.gif
2MB, 462x257px
>Party embraces the TPK
>Spends the rest of the night making a new party
>They're already better equipped and prepared for the adventure than the past few months of play
>>
>>51284129

That's the point I'm making man.
>>
>>51284094
That's a really good idea. Thank you.
>>
>>51284168
Well I just did a 2 second search in the book and read up on bonus actions.
>And anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action, PHB 189

So that solves that. Now it seems perfectly fine once more.
>>
>>51284046
Fights begin with opponents 25 feet apart from each other. Any spellcaster inside the arena is explicitly told to NOT use save or die spells or else it's murder and you will be arrested.

Otherwise the moment someone drops to 0 HP Clerics swarm in and begin stabilizing and healing both parties. Most people who do enter the arena are martials, because spellcasters aren't as exciting to watch as blood and gore.
>>
>>51284173
Thanks Coleville for that one, stole it from him. It made the 1v1 duel I setup really stressful for my player. I love it
>>
>>51283891
Ah I see it now. Thanks.
>>
>>51284103
Arcana Cleric Druid is still your best bet, as even just applying 1d10 to the 1st level version of the spell will result in 3 (1d10 + 1d4 +1) darts of automatic damage, which if directed to a single target is an average of 27, and a max of 45. 27 unavoidable damage from a 1st level spell is pretty ding dang re-diddly-diculous, and it only gets dumber from there.

2d10 to 2nd level MM gets you 4 darts of (2d10 + 1d4 + 1) for an average of 58 and a maximum of 100 damage, no save.
>>
5e is mankind's greatest cure for insomnia
>>
>>51284226
UA isn't released material.
Sorry, to be more specific I'm talking what we already have RAW.
>>
>>51284267
Oh, in that case why are you bothering trying to get reliable damage out of Magic Missile? Evocation Wizard.
>>
>>51284235
I dunno. I don't mind how simple it is. It's accessible, but that may or may not be good. At least I can use a shield and not be completely dogshit.

What I do mind is that it's stealth 3.5.
>>
>>51284202
>>51284191
Thank you guys.

I honestly wouldn't even worry about doing pvp but there is a very specific reward for the champion and I don't want to have to deal with bickering over who gets it.
>>
>>51284300
>What I do mind is that it's stealth 3.5.
uwotm8?
>>
Planning on doing an Asian themed adventure using 5e and some homebrew races (I'm allowing pretty much all of the UA material and letting the players fluff up the classes to fit as per the DMG).

Any tips?
>>
>>51284286
For memes.
>>
So yesterday I told my players martial class all get a free Martial Adapt feat at level 7. To my surprise they all decided to go martial. I only expected one or two would go for it.

So now I'm going to start the game at level 5 with a ranger, 2 fighters, a and rouge.

So now I have an idea of making the world magician are on a massive decline. And the remaining magic user are all persecuted and hunted down.

I'm excited. This gonna be the first game I DM
>>
>>51284446
If one of your players doesn't do it, make sure you have a "I don't want any trouble" npc tailored after the man, the myth Jackie Chan.
>>
>>51283154
According to a shit DM: yes
According to the rules: only if you were extremely negligent; actual accidents don't count
>>
>>51284454
Well, be careful about that plotline of "remaining magic users are all persecuted and hunted down."

All three of those classes still have the ability to cast spells (depending on archetype for fighter and rogue, of course).

You could alter it to instead, certain types of magic are taboo (instead of just necromancy). I'd include stuff like enchantments, illusions, evocations (unless you're in the military or serve the king). Stuff like that.
>>
>>51284491
Should they be a MonkBard too?
>>
>>51284454
Don't do a "hunted casters" campaign. Just do a real ass action movie where the characters can succeed through grit and guile instead of a bunch of bullshit "no, you can't knock down the door or swing from the chandelier or dislodge this support beam" while the Wizard melts every wall and mind-controls the enemy and shrinks doors off their hinges.

An all-martial game is a treat for everyone involved. A heavy burden now rests on your shoulders. Don't fuck it up.
>>
>>51284611
Grit and guile is shit in campaigns not made for it though. Run into one caster and it's "fuck we have no way to fight this guy."
>>
>>51284336
Minus the endless customization, 5e plays very similarly to 3.5e, hell Adv/Dis mechanics were in at least a couple 3.5e spells/powers/maneuvers.

The skill list is very simplified, and the building a character is playing on cruise control, but the only thing I feel is any different between the two editions is that combat is easier to resolve in 5e due to it not being as clunky with all the various checks 3.5e had.

>>51284454
>So now I have an idea of making the world magician are on a massive decline. And the remaining magic user are all persecuted and hunted down.
That could be interesting. Maybe try something like Dragonlance where magic is extremely regulated, though this is probably more extreme.

Make it so that access is heavily restricted, and then the ones that have access to it have a near fanatical fear for it.

I don't know how you're gonna establish it, but you could do something like only certain types of people have an affinity for magic. Sorcerers are the ones that aren't identified early and tend to be unrestrained with what they're willing to practice, whereas wizards are identified very young and taken to "monasteries" to be trained strictly.
Maybe have Divine casters (who get their power from devotion, thus not necessitating the "innate talent") be the sorta wardens of this.
Perhaps make it so that the party is dispatched by the Clergy to acquire a young person who is prophesied to be a powerful mage, however he is far outside their range of influence. The party could get stuck between several factions all with designs on the mcguff--kid.
Like some sorcerers that want him/her/xim to lead them in a revolution, or a more radical arm of the church that wants the kid murdered rather than run the risk of the balance of power shifting.

I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.
>>
>>51284652
>run up to him while moving from cover to cover and throwing shit
>beat his fucking face in
You do realize like almost every fantasy action movie and novel ever that features a magical villain and a non-magical hero completely trounce the shit out of them, and only in about 20% of them is a magical macguffin involved in the process, right
This isn't hard
>>
>>51284585
Yes! Thanks heaps. I think the last one will be the ultimate fight - where it turns out they are damn near mythical characters that everyone figured were dead because they retired quietly.

Thats awesome.

What do you think about having them win it? Should it even be feasible / possible? I mean if they come up with a way to I have no issue with that - but would you expect them to be the top by level 5?

The rules of the tournament will specify that lethality should be avoided, and that striking an unconscious combatant is a penalizable offence.
>>
>>51284723
And how do you plan on taking out the 5 million magical based traps on the way in without a finger waver? It's fine if the campaign is just "let's all be barbarians" but for any module not made for it, it's a death sentence.
>>
>>51284652
>stipulate that casters must be holding an arcane focus to cast
>use disarm rules
>have optional "silencing" rules for checks needed to stuff fists in mouths or karate chop someone in the throat
>>
>>51283347
>What are the greatest meme builds of 5e?
Shillelock
Any shillelagh build really
>>
>>51284708
But why do you mind that it's stealth 3.5?
A lot of people liked 3.5
>>
File: 1329280306821.png (83KB, 340x311px) Image search: [Google]
1329280306821.png
83KB, 340x311px
After recruiting via posters, I've got [potentially] 9 people showing up for a session zero. I usually am okay with lots of people for session 0 because in my experience I've often had lots of just no shows in the past.
Three of them are close friends that are definitely going to be in the group.

How fucked am I/What's a fair criteria for cutting people if everybody shows? I'm used to larger groups, but more typically 6-7 players is my cap.
>>
>>51284708
>That could be interesting. Maybe try something like Dragonlance where magic is extremely regulated, though this is probably more extreme.

That actually really good. I don't wanna build I would too much, but just having this concept in mind help alot
>>
>>51284746
Rocks, a bag of rats, 150 feet of rope, spare swords, a ladder, and a ten foot pole.
You can beat shit like Whiteplume Mountain without any casters whatsoever.
>>
>>51284772
IT'S NOW A DARK SUN CAMPAIGN
EVERYONE STARTS IN THE GLADIATORIAL ARENA
THE LAST FIVE MEN STANDING ARE YOUR PARTY
GLORY TO TECTUKTITLAY!
>>
>>51284774
*build the world
>>
>>51284772
split into two separate sessions if necessary.
>>
File: darksun.gif (376KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
darksun.gif
376KB, 640x456px
>>51284794
>>
>>51284745
I think that you could just go with the "if you remove all their HP points and declare it was a non lethal attack, they're knocked unconscious" rule.

The games I've played we can usually take out other player characters with fucking ease because two of us optimize. And casters can burst down most PC's too. Just spread out the fights over a few days, not going over 3 a day for easymode, and the chances of your players winning are pretty fucking good. Also I'm sure your players would like competitions besides the grand melee (which would be the main tourney fight I'm assuming you want to do) that cater to their individual talents.

If you want a back up in case you don't think your characters can win it, have an npc team take some injuries that have no way of healing in time for the competition to end, and splitting the reward if the players join their team to compensate.
>>
>>51284769
I dunno, it still has a lot of the problems of 3.5e, and I like 3.5e a lot.
I guess I just wish it was more different. Plus without all the flavor from PrCs, it feels kinda dull.
Granted, I don't see why you couldn't make your own, but at that point, you may as well just play 3.5e.

>>51284774
No problem.
If you don't wanna use a stock setting, and you are starting fresh, maybe just focus on the areas you think you'll use, come up with a bit of fluff/refluff other settings, and then let the setting develop naturally from that.
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/821904397034631168

5e Oriental Adventures confirmed
>>
>>51284772
See who has a more restrictive schedule. If everybody makes it, prioritize whoever arrives first.

People that arrive late still make characters, but have them be 'guest characters' that appear every so often.
>>
>>51284900
>Legend of the 5e Rings
>>
>>51283347
Bugbear Primeval Guardian is up there.
>>
>>51283347
That dwarf is a cutie and I wish more of my players liked dwarves.
>>
>>51284900
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/821900007649329153
>>
>>51283994
>Which is why thief is one of the worst archetypes.

Don't get all upset about one feature not being as good as you think it should be. Thief mobility makes them amazing Sneak Attack archers unless you only play in 2 dimensional spaces with no terrain features.
>>
>>51285062
i'd like to show mei my rooster if you know what i mean
>>
File: 53861.jpg (197KB, 1372x1296px) Image search: [Google]
53861.jpg
197KB, 1372x1296px
>>51283347
I have to link my own meme
>>51284834

I also played a Rogue 1, Knowledge Ceric 1, Druid 2, Sorcerer 1
He had expertise in: Arcana, History, Investigation, and Perception.
And proficiency in: Animal Handling, Insight, Nature, Religion, and Stealth.
He was 10lbs under his carry limit with an insanely huge toolbox of items for any situation, 11 cantrips, and 13 most rituals with Ritual Caster for even more.
In a non combat game.
>>
>>51285083
I'd actually love to house rule falling damage going to the enemy if you score a hit on them while falling.

Thief uses movement to assassins creed up to ceiling, falls down, extra 3d10 damage. But not if he misses.
>>
>>51285083
RAW it should be able to use those as objects since they're not magical items.
>>
>>51284865
So contests ive thought up so far include

>Archery
>A marathon / Obstacle Course
>Maze Running (with captured mobs roving around inside)
>The final tournament which rules are looking something like.

1. Each team fights only once per day
>So im going to ramp up the difficulty to mean even casters going full nova wont just insta-win them
2. Anyone knocked out, skips the next round.
3. You can concede at any time
4. Lethal blows are illegal. Anyone who delivers one is disqualified for the remained of the tournament.
>As you said use the "non-lethal blow rules" but there is also going to be an evil group competing
5. Prize Money is awarded to the top 4 teams.
6. Poisons are not allowed.
>no-one in the group uses poisons really, but I plan on having the evil team's rogue use some.
>>
>>51285124
Careful with the maze running my group cheesed it with teleports last time our DM did that.
>>
>>51285108
Sometimes you just have to deal with DM calls.

I let Thief rogues use potions with Fast Hands. The feature does so little by RAW.
>>
File: tvDFTer.jpg (232KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tvDFTer.jpg
232KB, 960x1280px
>>51285089
;)
>>
>>51285165
The rare fat girl who still looks pretty good.
>>
>>51285155
You're being more lenient.
But if you're gonna gimp one of their primary features by not letting them use an object as a bonus action, then that player has every right to change characters.
>>
>>51285151
How?

Not so that I can nessecarily stop it, but the NPC teams will likely be trying something similiar
>>
>>51284448
Most memes rely on UA material
>>
>>51285215
Misty step and the find steed ability of the vengeance paladin.
Or dimension door and a familiar up above.
>>
>>51283994
Thief is the only Rogue subclass with any staying power into a high level campaign, and its best features require the least amount of fiat in DM Fiat: The Class. Everything else Rogue peaks early or requires the DM to cooperate with everything.

God I fucking miss 4e Rogues that just werked.
>>
>>51285186
It's because she's still fairly toned under the pudge.

Also cute face.
>>
>>51285196
The thing is, Second Story Work is supposed to the primary level 3 feature. It's a good feature in a campaign that happens in towns or any environment that has trees or rocky terrain features. People get caught up on Fast Hands because it's listed first. All the rogues have a 1 situational level 3 feature and a general-purpose level 3 feature.

>>51285249
Yeah, it's a shame how often chub coincides with poor hygiene and lazyness.
>>
>>51285124
I like it Anon, are the evil npc's just out for a hit on one of the contestants?
>>
>>51285257
>Second Story Work is supposed to the primary level 3 feature.

Nigger what.
>climbing no longer costs extra movement
Good for archers, sure.
>extra 5 feet at the most for jumping
pffthaha

Use an Object is infinitely better so long as your DM doesn't blatantly nerf you.

>being able to climb faster isn't the more situational feature
It literally depends on the situation.
>>
>>51285242
Oh it'll be underground.

Find steeds a good one. Misty step I guess helps with crossing narrow bridges and obstacles, but nothing I wouldn't expect.

>>51285263
They are going to try and win the whole thing, but if/when they are disqualified and/or beaten they will attack the players either that night, or the next night.

Then attempt to steal the prize money and escape.

Maybe not in that order.

>Hit on one of the contestants
Well actually one player does have a Noble who swore vengeance against him. Maybe ill make him one of the spectators and when he sees him compete he will hire someone to take him out.

Thanks for the idea anon
>>
>>51285312
>>climbing no longer costs extra movement
>Good for archers, sure.
What's in the base rogue class that forces you to choose between melee and ranged? Carry a rapier and a hand crossbow.

>>extra 5 feet at the most for jumping
>pffthaha
Never considered that a Thief can jump between buildings that most rogues can't because they dump Strength?
>>
>>51285341
Fair points.
Yet doesn't dispute the fact that by definition second-story work is more situational.
>>
People were saying the combats in 5e were or are boring.
This is probably because of the 5e monster statblocks and their lack of flavorful abilities/mechanics.

They really need a redesign, but on the other hand, they can be fluffed however you want.
>>
>>51285341
>buildings with sprint-capable rooftops
>more than 10 feet apart
>less than 20 feet apart
we're entering extreme levels of situation here
>>
>>51284772
yeah i'm looking at around 7 or so for my own session zero on saturday.

Also, question, my kobold fighter just hit level 3 and is going battlemaster and just picked up a ring of evasion as well, what maneuvers should I look at? I'm considering Parry, Tripping Attack, and one other but not sure what.
>>
>>51285438
Tome of beasts tried to add some flavor.
They added rape instead.
So many rape monsters with instant kill abilities.
>>
File: fast hands.png (212KB, 492x416px) Image search: [Google]
fast hands.png
212KB, 492x416px
Okay, so pic related has a ruling on Fast Hands from the sage advice compendium. Basically, using non-magical items, such as healer's kits, counts as a Use an Object action and is therefore eligible for Fast Hands.

That said, acid and the like require you to make an attack roll when you use them, which makes things weird. So on one hand you have a wording similarity to healer's kits and on the other you have an attack roll. I'd argue that since they're in the adventuring gear section, rather than the weapons section, they should be treated like all the other adventuring gear and therefore fall under Use an Object, but I can see why one would disagree.
>>
>>51285493
Yeah, it's really odd designing monster stat blocks.
Honestly, if you're a good DM you should be looking at stat blocks mostly for inspiration or if you need something low-challenge to throw at the party.

I never use them for actual boss encounters or any of that shit. They're either much harder than intended or much easier.

Adjust based on party.
>>
Paladins smite skills can be combined with Divine smite, correct?
>>
>>51285479
Menacing: must have on 100% of characters no matter what
Trip: always good, but not so much in a Ranger/Warlock-heavy party
Pushing / Disarming: take if your DM is fun, avoid if your DM is a faggot
Riposte: for more damage
Parry: for tanking
Precision Attack: ignore unless you're a Sharpshooter / GWMer
Commander's Strike: take if you have a Rogue, but not necessarily as a starting feat
>>
>>51285493
>>51285537
I like to think all the instant kill monsters are there for when your parties wizard says the game is too easy.
>Really fucker?
>Roll a DC19 wisdom save
>No? Reroll your character.
>>
>>51285531
I would argue you're still using the object as an action. Part of that activation is making an attack roll. However, you are not taking the attack action.

Just like you can cast a spell that requires an attack roll, but you are not taking an attack action.
>>
>>51285561
If by "smite skills" you mean their spells like Thunderous Smite, yes.
But it's pretty much always better to save that spell slot to just use a Smite on-demand rather than pre-cast it.
>>
>>51285566
Anyone saying the game is too easy is asking for their character to die.
I don't know why a player would ever say such a thing.

It reminds me of when I was a child and I received a spanking on my ass. It didn't hurt so much and I looked into my parent's eyes and said, "oh, that didn't even hurt." Mistake.
>>
>>51285566
It's always the Wizard who says this shit and they're the one class that can weasel out of getting hit by these abilities in the first place. DMs throw this shit in to fuck with that guy and it just fucks everyone else over way more.
>>
>>51285124
How does a

1 x Mage (CR6)
4 x Helmed Horror (CR4)

With the Mage "concentrating" on animating the Helmed horrors, if the PC's figure it out the fight becomes fairly easy (I mean he still has shield, misty step, and counter spell).
>>
>>51285479
You'll want to look at Precision Attack just before you pick up Great Weapon Mastery/Sharpshooter, otherwise a "Taunt" like Menacing Strike or Goading Attack is a good bet. Riposte >>>>> Parry in my opinion.
>>
>>51285493
Wolfgang Baur and his company are PF designers; and his kick off Dragons adventure for 5e was universally shit.

But that's still creepy and fucked up.
>>
>>51285601
Just make them immune to the wizard's shit.
It isn't so hard.

Toss a fighter at them that specializes in taking down spell casters, as in, give them the mage slayer features.
>I'm gonna need you to make some con saves, all at dis-advantage.
>>
>>51285601
If the party is going after intelligent enemies, they should have a giant fucking target painted on their heads as a spell caster. They should know this. The party should know this.

If they don't, start making it clear.
>>
>>51285640
Sorcerer could still take the fighter out.
>He interrupts you.
>Great I polymorph him with subtle spell
>He's now a sloth, I toss him into the bag of holding to suffocate slowly.
>>
>>51285438
3.5 and PF have that and the end result is most creatures never use the vast majority of their abilities. They aren't meant to last more than about 4 rounds unless the party is fucking up and dying.
>>
>>51285531

I don't have Twitter, but it'd be nice if someone could ask Jeremy Crawford about this. It'd be nice to have something official.
>>
>>51285657
He'd have to disengage.
If he casts within 5ft of the mage slayer he has advantage against his save.
>not just rerolling as your fighter enemy is indomitable
If he casts a spell next to you, reaction attack.

It's really very easy. And who says this guy is acting alone? Why would he be acting alone? He's lived in this world his whole fictional life. He knows how action economy works.
>>
If you were going to roll up an evil counterpart of your party (level 6) using point buy, what would you end up with?
>>
>>51285710
Why would he have disadvantage against the save? I just cast a spell he has no way of seeing. Also-
Twin spell
Heightened spell
Quickened spell
Subtle spell

Two of the mage slayers are small animals with disadvantage on saves, or at worst I have to use an action to get away, then use twin polymorph as a bonus action.

Or I can just dimension door away and disguise myself as someone else.

Casters are bullshit.
>>
>>51285479
Precision/Maneuver + extra.
>>
>>51285745
Three wizards with all their spell slots at the start of the fight.
>>
>>51285665
The wordiness of some of those monster entries was really unnecessary.

Some of PF's designers in particular have issues with purple prose.
>>
>>51285760
I don't think you understand that the DM can do whatever the fuck they want.

Presumably the caster has no way of realizing these fighters are special in any way until they rush him specifically, and burn their action surges to hack him into pieces.

I admit I missed the subtle spell part when I glanced over. He still has advantage on his save if the caster is next to him regardless of if he sees the spell or not. At worst it's a regular save. But then again, indomitable nigga.

Regardless of all this. We're presuming this caster thinks this game is "too easy." They won't be expecting anything of the sort.

Moral of the story is you should never challenge your DM as a player. It's not something you can "win." Both players and DMs that take on adversarial roles is silly when the DM controls the fucking universe. It is not hard.

Oh, and one last thing. Polymorph requires a material component. You can't subtle that shit away.
>>
>>51285770
your party is 3 6th level wizards?
>>
>>51285760
>polymorph
why would you waste a sorcery point to make that subtle?

>twin and heightened spell at the same time
Not allowed, my nigga.
Even if it were, heightened can only target one creature that has to make the save.
>>
>>51285832
Is that what we're talking about? I was just trying to say there's no fuck you I win build, and the game doesn't work too well pvp wise.

Also another lesson is if the DM is actively making guys tailor suited to kill you for no reason, you probably shouldn't be playing. Also also, 3 sorcerers with counterspell would be TONS more effective than fighters.

And spell focuses remove the need for material components. As far as I'm aware at least, don't quote me on it because it's never come up in a game so far on the ground of being boring.
>>
>>51285877
Really you can't use twinned and heightened at the same time? Well shit, haven't got the chance to do that yet but good to know.
>>
>>51285878
Yes, that is what we were talking about. If you would read the thread, that would be helpful in your understanding of the topic.

>3 counterspells
Sure, for a couple rounds maybe. Unless you give them infinite slots. If the idea is to fuck over a player that thinks the game is too easy then not really. I do agree it's a better solution if you just want to generally fuck with them though.

You have to use a spell focus for something that requires a material component. You must use your hand to use that focus. It doesn't just go away. However you want to flavor it. Channeling it through the focus, the focus glows, etc. But it has to be "used."
>>
File: 20170118_233110.jpg (4MB, 2449x3265px) Image search: [Google]
20170118_233110.jpg
4MB, 2449x3265px
Princes of the Apocalypse page 51. What the hell is this thing for?
>>
>>51285892
Empowered spell is the only metamagic you can use in conjunction with the casting of another metamagic spell.
>>
>>51285937
I have no real clue as I haven't read the adventure, but at a guess I would think perhaps it's a roaming horde of orcs and you roll a d8 to see which direction they're going every so often?

If not that's what I'd do anyways.
>>
>>51285566
Just throw a flail snail at them, laugh when they can't use spells 66% of the time. Even better if he is motivated by money and he knows the flail snail shell is worth so much and stops the martials, from attacking the shell once the snail has fully retracted into the shell.

But I guess that really only works around level 5
>>
>>51285973
>not homebrewing an ancient flail snail
>>
>>51285877
Assuming you'd use subtle so the guy in your face doesn't smack you for doing magic in his face.

>>51285927
Clearly we're misunderstanding each other, you talked about how to kill a finger waver, I said that wouldn't work, you're talking about a non existent DM.

And let me get the last part straight, you use a spell focus, a staff lets say, and it becomes useless after one spell.

That doesn't sound right.
>>
>>51285624
You have no idea.
>>
File: Stupid sexy fey.png (771KB, 835x1021px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid sexy fey.png
771KB, 835x1021px
>>51286028
I mean, I can go all day.
>>
>>51286051
You think this is a fucking joke?
>>
File: lolyoudied.jpg (300KB, 683x883px) Image search: [Google]
lolyoudied.jpg
300KB, 683x883px
>>51286070
Speaking of fucking jokes.
>>
>>51286070
You think you can escape the drowning?
>>
So i want to play Kobold Rogue tha still plays into the races trapping abilities
is there any class that accommodates that or should i pick up a bear trap, some ball bearings, and a net or two and improvise?
>>
>>51286086
There, 5 sexy women who want to drown you. If anyone has doubts about the tome of beasts, these should answer them.
>>
>>51285937
for 'go in a random direction' abilities/plothooks/etc/
>>
>>51286090
Thief. You can set down caltrops, ball bearings, and hunting traps as a bonus action on your turn.
>>
>>51286104
>>51286028

I'm shaving every woman I meet if the DM ever throws these fuckers at me.
>>
>>51285989
No, read the rules. The staff doesn't become unusable after one spell. But it's a focus that you use to cast a spell. Meaning it's obvious what you're doing if you're using it to cast a spell as you are essentially replacing the material components needed to channel the spell.

You seemed to have jumped into a conversation you didn't care to read fully.

>you talked about how to kill a finger waver, I said that wouldn't work
It would work. It would easily work.

The non-existent DM is the one who is punishing that non-existent player. This is called a hypothetical situation. In this hypothetical situation I am saying it is impossible to "beat" a dungeon master simply because "casters are bullshit."

Really, there's a lot you can do to a d6 class just by bum rushing them. Mage slayer or not.
>>
>>51286104
Isn't there also a child that wants to drown you?
Pretty sure I read that in there.
>>
>>51286028
>>51286051
>>51286070
>>51286086
>>51286104
Fuck 2. Kill 2. Marry 1.
>>
>>51286129
Okay yes I think we can both agree the guy with infinite resources and command over the rules could beat a player. Not what I'm saying. What I was saying and would be clear to you if you had the reading comprehension skills you're trying to suggest I'm missing, is that it is a very inefficient way to kill a player. Mostly because mage slayer is kind of shit against anyone with a brain, or a party, or of most the common builds. And that pvp is shit in a game not built for it.
>>
>>51286156
Fuck Lorelei, Fuck Mirager, Marry Eleinomae, Kill Drained Maiden and Rusalka
>>
>>51286106
is that Thief only or does Thief just lend mechanically to that?
cause i was under the impression that those items could be used by anyone
>>
>>51286183
Thief lets you put them down as a bonus action at 3rd level. That means you can set them down and attack, or set two down in a turn if you wish.
>>
>>51286156
if I marry the drowned maiden would she still try to kill me, or would she love me and get over it
>>
>>51283823
Magic missle and each dart applying the necrotic damage from twilight druid.
>>
>>51286183
The important wording there was "as a bonus action." Anyone can use those items, Thief rogues can use them more efficiently.
>>
>>51286028
>filename
It's a sign of noble eccentricity and emotional repression. If you're a Japanese peasant, the worst thing is having some irrational princess come ruin your day alongside her warlord father/husband.
>>
>>51286204
They all try to drown you Anon, secret is to get a ring of water breathing and super glue that shit to your finger.
>>
File: Myling.png (513KB, 765x983px) Image search: [Google]
Myling.png
513KB, 765x983px
>>51286149
Yup, straight out of a horror flick
>>
How would you re balance true strike as a cantrip? I want to use it as a support version that's a replacement for fire bolt.
>>
>>51283506
>You take Great Weapon Fighting and the Two Handed fighting style hoping your GM uses the raw reading of the style

Please explain
>>
>>51286084
>Evil wizard spends entire life dedicated to studying necromancy and the secrets of death
>Rewarded with a second unlife of unprecedented power
>Some half rate court comedian on hisdeathbed makes a demon smirk
>Can kill PCs almost as easily
>>
>>51283898
Divination wizard, shadow monk, scout rogue with the skilled feat (grab arcana, investigation, insight), lore bard .
>>
>>51286230
Making an ancient nigh omnipotent god who's been around since the beginning of creation laugh is no laughing matter Anon.
>>
File: Liches please.jpg (518KB, 1512x955px) Image search: [Google]
Liches please.jpg
518KB, 1512x955px
>>51286222
To be fair, they also have the OG Lich.
>>
>>51286226
The two handed fighting style allows you to reroll 1s and 2s on damage rolls when wielding a weapon with two hands. The way it's worded in the book can be interpreted to apply both to the weapon damage roll and the paladin's various smite damage rolls, meaning you can consistently hit really high damage thresholds. However, I think the devs clarified it in a tweet or something that it only applies to the weapon attack.
>>
>>51286277
>All consuming magic
>Makes ducks attack you
Ducks are dicks anyway, how do we know that's a result of a spell?
>>
>>51286160
You're making the jump that this is somehow pvp. It's simply adding a feat to a statblock if you choose to use one. You can also just make your own. I'm calling them fighter for the sake of simply understanding what features this creature has access to. We are not literally pitting a player versus a player in this scenario.

Using two martials to bum rush and blow their action surges in a single round is not such an inefficient way to down a caster. Yet you suggested 3 enemy sorcerers with counterspell? Forgive me for not seeing how that is somehow "more efficient."

I also appreciate you jumping into the conversation and then proceeding to try to move the goalposts. I understand that it's very frustrating because they're quire heavy and I won't let you do it.

To your last point about mage slayer. I simply said you can toss it on as extra to make it "easier." Once again, you're assuming the player even would know their adversaries have such abilities. Can I ask how they would know this preemptively? If they don't know they're up against mage slayers then no amount of brains will help them.

You're really making very little sense.
>>
File: carter rabbit.jpg (45KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
carter rabbit.jpg
45KB, 780x438px
>>51286303
Ducks sure, but I think Koschei may have moved his lair to the new world. We have evidence.
>>
>>51286296
Thank you for explaining anon
>>
>>51286275
>somewhere in PC heaven (or hell)
>"How'd you get here?"
>"Had a run in with Calthazar VII, ancient archmage, all powerful lich, and ruler of the undead wastes."
>"The undead wastes? What a coincidence, that's where I met my end too! 'Cept mine was because skeleton Jerry Seinfeld made a bone pun."
>>
>>51286217
>"Okay DM where can I find a ring of water breathing and that one magic glue?"
>DM: "Oh uh, that's kind of specific."
>"I want to fuck some of those crazy water bitches."
>>
File: Cx5OnmTUkAAvm5x.jpg (182KB, 1200x870px) Image search: [Google]
Cx5OnmTUkAAvm5x.jpg
182KB, 1200x870px
>>51286338
I'm not a humerus, I just observe the undead and report the facts.
>>
>>51285832
You can use subtle spell on spells with material components if you have an arcane focus. All you need for the material component then is to have the thing in your hand.
>>
I'm wanting to make a dark druid style warlock for an upcoming game. I'm thinking about being a fiend tomelock and using magic initiate to gain mold earth, control flames, gust, and shape water. What other spells should I pick up for this kind of build?
>>
>>51286323
Anon you've pretty much just been insulting me since we started, clearly you just want to argue and be a cunt because you have a hard on for killing magic users. I'ma stop shitting up the thread with your long ass replies since you're pretty much just talking down to me and restating what I said, like you're trying to condescend on a games rules and the best way to fictionally do something hypothetical in a tabletop game.

In short, you're a faggot. And this is why no one wants to be in your games.
>>
>>51286347
>Eternally denied the pleasure of drowning the one they love, have to drown others to get off
How CE does kinky.
>>
>>51285479
do maneuver dice get doubled on crits?
>>
>>51286347
What did they tell you in bard school about sticking your dick in crazy Anon?
>>
>>51286214
>>51286199
ok cool to know thanks!
>>
>>51284041
why does it have to be cleric tho. Wouldn't wizard or Sorceror be better
>>
>>51286410
That's why we learn Dimension Door?
>>
>>51285665
4ed has much better monster design. We should look at that for inspiration.
>>
>>51286456
Exactly, now go get you some crazy fish lady poon.
>>
>>51286380
>no argument
>wow you're just insulting me
>throws out an insult

Every time.

Not that it matters, but I run 3 games and no complaints only fun.
I wasn't really trying to insult you. It just seems you wanted to somehow suggest casters can get past DM bullshit. I'm simply suggesting that even with very little DM bullshit you can take down a guy who thinks the game is "too easy."
Come now, if you were in my game though and you said that, I'd probably just toss 3 sorcerers at you with counterspell. And not actually kill you.

>>51286373
Honestly, I'd probably be fine with it so long as the focus was already in their hand. Subtle spell is so situational anyway. Fuck it, I'd probably allow it regardless.
>>
>>51286156
Prehensile hairjob from Drowned Maiden
Then death.
>>
File: Part1Goblins.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Part1Goblins.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So here's my rewrite of Part 1 of Lost Mine of Phandelver. I changed the names because fuck Forgotten Realms. I also made some shit weird, and kept others.

It's pretty shit with ass formatting, but that's because it's in PDF and i'm reading it as a continuous page.

I'm only posting it because one anon last night wanted to see my progress on it.

What do you think? How can I condense it further?
>>
File: where do you think we are.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>51286380
>the best way to fictionally do something hypothetical in a tabletop game
>>
File: a fucking dracohydra.jpg (35KB, 280x379px) Image search: [Google]
a fucking dracohydra.jpg
35KB, 280x379px
>>51286277
Do they have Gorynich the Wyrm?
>>
File: Background.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Background.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51286509
Oh the background shit isn't included.

Here it is.
>>
>>51286509
At a glance some of the wording on what the goblin knows was confusing.
Also how it will behave
>goblin begs to be hurt or killed
>says he will shut up if they don't

So, if they don't do what he wants he will be quiet? Did I read that right?
>>
>>51286543
Pretty sure the goblin's got a "if you say anything or plead for your life, you die" curse on it or something. So it's trying the old it's opposite day workaround.
>>
>>51286556
Oh got it.
This is what I get for only skimming.

Makes sense then.
>>
>>51286543
No. Goblins speak Common in backwards and in negatives to intentionally confuse others.

It's written the way they would say it, so I don't have to think about how im going to say things backwards
>>
>>51286084
Jesus fuck Killing Stroke is strong.
CR11 doesn't seem right for a monster that can swap itself with a party member as a reaction.

Shit.
>>
>>51286569
Goblins are from Bizarro?
>>
>>51286581
I feel pretty confident I could kill a party of 5 at 16 with him.
>>
>>51286588
No, Goblin's aren't Bizarro.

(Yes)
>>
>>51286581
The solution is easy, send wave after wave of your own men at him, then kill everyone's that's left.

If that's not amusing to the demon that sent him, nothing is.
>>
>>51286581
Yeah it's pretty fucking powerful.
>recharge 6
FUUUCK
>>
>>51286084
>ha ha make saving throws at disadvantage because lol ur a clown
It's worrying that
A) there were people who thought anything about this piece of shit was a good idea
and B) there are players and DMs who think it'd be good fun to throw into one of their games
>>
>>51286646
I'm not one to say that anyone is playing the game wrong, but anyone who uses this thing is playing the game wrong.
>>
>>51286703
Anyone who uses this thing wants to hard reset the campaign, peace out from being forever DM, or send their PC's to hell for plot reasons.
>>
>>51286708
You know I've never thought of continuing a game after a tpk by having them continue to adventure in hell. Sounds like it could be pretty fun.
>>
>>51286708
You have a lot of faith in humanity to not be full of bozos who think the goal of the game is to TPK the party.
>>
>>51286731
>Players piss off a Demon/god
>God doesn't fuck around with that "lets send level appropriate challenges for them" shit
>Players get owned.
>Minions drag their still dying corpses, magically stabilized, straight to hell, so they don't ascend properly
>Escape demons clutches via convincing another demon to turn on him, selling their souls to another power, or something else party appropriate.
>Now time to find a way out, or die in hell.

>>51286776
It's a bad habit I know.
>>
>>51286619
But they have to kill him for that to work, and I don't know if waves will work against a guy who can swap himself out and be disguised.

Oh and has misty step and disguise self @will.

He could easily, just murder the first few waves in combat himself, then as he gets tired - swap out with one of his attackers and walk off.

And thats not mentioning hilarious uses of contagion + seeming. Or just unleashing Killing Joke.

Things fucked.
>>
>>51283347
>Primeval Guardian
So... am I missing something, or does this class get "heal to full at will" at level 7? If you just pop in and out of tree form over and over, you can "heal" 2xlevel HP per 2 rounds, basically.

I'm guessing the PDF is missing either a use limit on Guardian Soul, or the wording of Ancient Fortitude needs changing.
>>
>>51286869
You're right, best move is to send a dragon after him, with legendary resistance.
>>
File: Longsword_stances.jpg (34KB, 435x471px) Image search: [Google]
Longsword_stances.jpg
34KB, 435x471px
Last thread, someone suggested asking my DM if I could use the Dueling fighting style while two-handing a versatile weapon. I explained how much "wielding just a longsword with two hands is much more sub-par that it should be", he also got a annoyed with it and accepted the proposal.

But still, we intend to homebrew a feat to make versatile weapons more viable for fighters. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51286889
They uploaded a changed version with the 7th level feature being once per short rest, then reuploaded the original version for some reason. Mearls has said that the infinite healing was both by design AND that a fixed version was uploaded, so... it's not clear what the fuck they're trying to do.
>>
>>51286869
Okay, a shitload of hireling clerics with silence. Solves all the issues.
>>
>>51286458
pdf where?
;_;
>>
>>51286940
Nevermind he can still shuffle. Okay, move to a new kingdom where this guy isn't.
>>
>>51286941
Search YouTube for Matt Colville (sp?) Take on stealing monster mechanics from 4ed
>>
>>51286923
Using the weapon one or two-handed should probably have unique benefits, to try to ensure that both are consistently used. Something like a bonus to attack rolls when one-handed, or a free shove opportunity when two-handed?
>>
>>51286923

Let versatile weapons be used with GWM and we can just throw all the two-handers in the trash.

>>51286995

That sounds a little too involved for 5e. Weapons are not distinguished by much.
>>
Question: if I have two enemies casting gust of wind on one player and the spell says one instance of that spell makes movement 2 feet for every one foot that it moves when moving closer to you as it says in the PHB, does that mean that the player is unable to move because of TWO instances, or is there no spell effect stacking and it's the effect of one?
>>
>>51286971
Yeah i've seen the video, I was wondering if anyone had the actual 4e MM PDF. It's not worth buying it from the DMG without knowing that I'm actually going to find things I want to use.
>>
>>51285745
What would the "Evil" version of a TN Dragon Sorcerer be?
>>
>>51286028
There are still people who think Wolfgang Baur and Kobold Press do good work, that's clearly not true.

They're also probably trying to tap into the permavirgin tg player base with those monsters.
>>
>>51287014
Spells don't stack
>>
>>51287011
I meant as a fighting style or feat, not just something the weapons do naturally.
>>
>>51287025
Dragon hunting kobold party.

OR simply, an even more TN Dragon Sorcerer with rival ideals.
>>
>>51286923
>>51286995
>>51287011
Say the longsword represents an arming sword as it probably does in the mind of writers that don't know what they're talking about and a greatsword represents anything larger?
>>
So I'm planning out a Ranger right now, and I'm seriously considering dumping Wisdom. I don't seriously see myself ever casting anything more than Hunter's Mark or Goodberry, so I figure there's no real need to have a moderate Wis. 12 should suffice, shouldn't it?
>>
>>51284046
>Balancing PvP
It'll frustrate certain players and you simply can't balance it very effectively.

>1 on 1 fights
Not very balanced.

You're finding the most unbalanced things possible here.

'Save or die' spells tend to be 'save or suck' more than anything.

Some characters can win simply by kiting endlessly. However, it'd also be unfair if you took that away from them.

Rogues can't sneak attack in 1v1s very effectively.

Characters who've focused on skills will likely feel a bit cheesed out.

Barbarians will generally be overpowered.
Except Paladins will be even moreso if you let them use all their long rest slots, given their crazy burst potential.

The real solution is to make it party versus party fights. This is much fairer, and promotes teamwork instead.
>>
>>51287046

What, like those silly weapon feats Mearls put in that little UA of his?

...you know what, you can probably do better than his easily.
>>
>>51287052
Hell if I know anything about actual swords.
>>
>>51286971
Generally, when you're making a proposal like "steal shit from 4E", which is pretty simple, one might want to start with examples that actually sound like good ideas.
>hey let's give this dragon a 20 fire damage / turn aura so anyone who's not ranged or a caster can just go fuck themselves lol
That shit might have flown in 4E when literally everyone could teleport and swing their katanablade five times from half a mile away, shoot lightning out of their ass, and heal themselves, but 5E is boring.

Literally every example here with the dragon sounds terrible and designed to more easily wipe even high level parties.
>>
So, I want to take my players through an old-school, door-kicking-loot-grabbing dungeon crawl.

What's the best way to do this with 5e? Are there any good dungeon modules I could use? Is the DMG dungeon generator any good?

Any tips are very welcome!
>>
>>51287060

What, like no-int EK logic? Should suffice I guess if you really don't think you'll use any spells that need your spellcasting ability.
>>
>>51287048
I'm a newcomer to 5E, what's with the talks about that that I keep hearing?

And in this situation, the main "ideal" is that family is extremely important, albeit not necessarily by blood in her case. Maybe an angry, long-lost blood relative?
>>
File: HW.png (987KB, 762x985px) Image search: [Google]
HW.png
987KB, 762x985px
>>51287026
Oh its not all half naked ladies. There's some fun stuff in there too.
>>
>>51287060
Wisdom gives you better wisdom saves, you need at least 13 if you ever want to multiclass, it gives you better perception, it gives you better survival skills...

Considering the only other stat you need is con, there's no reason to dump it really. You have three dump stats already.

If you wanted to be a ranger who's bad at ranger things like survival, why not be a dex ranger?
>>
>>51287159
I want to toss that dog into the middle of a bandit camp.
>>
>>51287172
>>51287060
>dex ranger
I meant dex fighter
>>
>>51287159
If it uses the reaction when it's attacked, does that negate the attack if the attack is now out of range?
>>
>>51287135
Kobold Dragon Hunting Party is a really stupid meme that keeps popping up in this thread, because as usual people think that it's either original or funny, of which it is neither.
>>
>>51287120
Use a different system. 5e is for mindless monster killing power fantasies.
>>
>>51287232
>mindless monster killing power fantasies.

That's pretty much what I'm asking for, a mindless dungeon crawl.
>>
>>51287232
That's not true and you know it.
>>
So is it a good idea to play a life cleric with the magic initiate feat (variant human) to gain Shillelagh and Goodberry at level one? It seems pretty overpowered but I might be overlooking something.

Also what would be the next best cantrip to get from the Druid's spell list after Shillelagh?
>>
>>51287272
Druidcraft for minor utility you wouldn't otherwise get on a cleric.
>>
>>51287221
After, since the trigger is 'when it's attacked'.
If it moved before the attack then the event triggering the reaction might not occur, and space & time would crumble
>>
>>51286995
That would make it a bit difficult to balance around small characters and cumulative bonuses with Fell Handed and Blade Mastery going too off-curve.

>>51287011
I'm trying to avoid this. This feat is supposed to focus on how these weapons are more balanced in terms of power vs. control and maneuverability, "being reliable" instead of "hitting harder".

>>51287052
The 5e longsword is more of a counterpart to the real world "bastard sword", a sword longer than the shortsword, but shorter than the two-handed-only longsword.
>>
>>51287272
Shillelagh isn't that powerful when it's the difference between 1d8+2 and 1d8+4 or something. If you had Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade, shillelagh would be important.

Goodberry can only be cast once if you don't have relevant class levels, so that's hardly overpowered there.

Goodberry is mostly an out of combat healing thing. Maybe it would be a bit overpowered and frustrate the DM a bit but it'd only work well for out of combat usage and there are other spells like prayer of healing that could have healed the entire party with a single spell slot anyway.
>>
>>51287221
Nope, because 5e reactions happen right after the trigger.
>>
>>51287272
>Also what would be the next best cantrip to get from the Druid's spell list after Shillelagh?
Produce flame is good, as it's both a light and a ranged attack. If you're going melee then Thunderclap might be worth a look. Some of the utility spells are alright too I guess

>>51287288
Sadly in my experience, Druidcraft has been pretty useless.
>>
>>51287355
Well, the trigger 'isn't being hit by an attack' but rather 'being attacked', so 'right after' could be anywhere between just before the first attack, after the first attack, after the second/third/fourth/etc attacks or even after the entire attack action.

But, then again, the attack action doesn't target anyone specifically. You take the attack action and then make melee weapon attacks/ranged attacks at people, so it'd have to at least be after one melee weapon attack.
>>
Any monsters where being able to not blink is a good thing?
>>
>>51287321
Shillelagh also applies to attack rolls though. Let's you dump both str and dex if you've got heavy armor.
>>
>>51287398
Yes, and?
It still does fuckall damage.
You don't dump dex, because it's dex.
You can't dump strength if you're wearing heavy armour unless you're a dwarf.

If you have green flame blade or booming blade, that + to hit is really good because you actually do damage.
>>
>>51287398
>dump str
>heavy armor
Isn't that only dwarves?
>>
>>51287429
Does as much damage as dex or str normally would. Dumping str only lowers move speed, not tragic. I dump dex all the time if I can use heavy armor, not really a problem. I'm not saying booming blade or green flame blade are bad.
>>
How do things like Overchannel or Twilight Druid's Harvest Scythe work with spells that have a duration or allow you to use actions to make spell attacks while you concentrate on that spell?
>>
How would I go about using pike and shot in this game if i wanted to have enemies using them
>>
As DM, would you allow a ranger to switch weapons like this:

>Round 1: attack with shortsword, offhand attack with second shortsword
>Round 2: attack with bow (2 handed)
>Round 3: attack with shortsword, offhand attack with second shortsword

Is it OK by the rules? Is this even worth keeping track of?
>>
>>51287436
Dwarves still get a bonus to wis, so it works pretty well. Other races lower their speed by 10 feet, which is possible to live with I guess.
>>
>>51287482
Without dual wielder feat, I mean.
>>
>>51287446
Going from 1d8+2 to 1d8+5 can essentially more than double your damage if I'm right considering to hit bonuses, but it's still a pretty miserable level of damage and taking magic initiate as a non-variant human delays that 20 wisdom.

Having only 20ft move speed is pretty bad if you play in any campaigns that actually have some level of tactic to them. Being slower than pretty much everything means that if ever you have to run away, you're pretty screwed without a spell to help you get away. Not to mention if the DM runs some other things it might slow party overworld travel.

I've dumped dex myself, but from a metagame point of view you shouldn't. Negative initiative, negative stealth, negative dex save is much worse than having dumped int or cha.

>>51287482
Technically that's not allowed.
They can only draw one shortsword a turn ordinarily, and to switch weapons in one turn they'd have to drop the weapon and draw the other weapon. They'd have to drop both shortswords, as well.

The unfair part of it is that they're negating their melee range disadvantage from being ranged - they should drop the bow and draw a single shortsword and attack with that, deal with it.
>>
>>51284652

I like the way the witcher universe does it in the books.
A super powererd druid is talking shit and about to incinerate 15 people then a dwarf smacks the shit out of him from behind. if you are close enough to punch a wizard, they wont have time to weave their fancy magix before their head is lopped off,
>>
>>51287482
Technically not okay by the rules, but I wouldn't say it's worth keeping track of.
>>
How come there isn't a dm guild mega anymore?
>>
Mearls looks fugly as fuck.
>>
>>51287321
I guess it's mostly overpowered at earlier levels then. Still, 40 health to distribute in increments of 4 can still be pretty useful.
>>
>>51287610
>tfw no g/f but he's got a wife who accepted the mating press and DNA transmission
>>
>>51286443
It doesn't have to be, but cleric makes it less MAD for easier multiclassing and cantrips.
>>
>>51286380
>letting your Drowned Maiden gf to drown other men
Are you into NTR?
>>
>>51287642
wew, meant for>>51286391
>>
>>51287642
CE is the netori alignment.
>>
>>51287630
There are ugly women too, unfortunately it means the ugliness gene is passed on.
>>
>>51286581
>>51286084
>an ancient, nihlistic joke of necromantic power
Literally me.
>>
>>51287737
You're intelligent, nihilistic, and have a wicked sense of humor?
>>
>>51287436
>>51287429
Wood Elves are effectively in the same boat as Dwarves for heavy armor use.
>>
>>51287246
I thought you meant something else.
Tips: have the flow of the map make sense (this is a mess hall, this is a bathroom, this is a kitchen, ect). It feels more natural and puts players in the mood to think out what is happening logically instead of ceasing to give a fuck. Have the monsters that are present make sense for the location as well.
Always remember that you place traps down because you want the players to feel cool by detecting and avoiding them, not because you want the traps to hurt them. Having the latter mindset will lead to situations where a player will step forward and you suddenly declare they stepped on a trap and explode for 10d10 fire damage, or situations where they roll high on perception and then you give them insufficient information like some coy "hint" even though they succeeded on their roll to detect it and they end up triggering the trap anyway 10d10 fire damage (to avoid this, clearly say what the trigger for a trap is when a perception roll succeeds, like "the door is trapped, opening it triggers a trap"), or you fill an entire hallway with consecutive traps and then when someone rolls high on perception you only tell them about the first one so they step over it and get blown up by the second and third and fourth 10d10 fire damage 10d6 falling damage 10d10 piercing damage, or a situation where a trap is detected and the PC points it out to the other PCs and they all start stepping over but then one player places their token on the trap tile without realizing it because you didn't exactly mark which tile it is with a marker and instead of reminding them that's the one and your character wouldn't step there because it's already been pointed out to them you declare that the entire party takes 10d10 fire damage.
Don't be afraid to adjust things they haven't seen yet if they get particularly fucked up at some point and you don't think they can handle another encounter.
Give them lots of gold and good loot, like magic weapons.
>>
File: Runeseeker_V2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Runeseeker_V2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I made a revised Runeseeker class that one of my players is using in my Curse of Strahd campaign. This one is pretty different from the original one in the /tg/ dropbox and uses short-rest warlock style slots, except at a half-caster progression.

Anyways, it's working fine in the campaign, but I would also like some critique from you guys.
>>
>>51287737
>>51287765
Also autistic.
>>
>>51287784
This is the original author's, for the sake of giving credit.
>>
>>51286084
How is a Death Knight CR17 and this guy 11?
>>
>>51287816
Because this guy is 3rd party.
>>
The Folk Hero's feature would work with other cultures besides the one your character comes from, right?
Like say the downtrodden Drow proletariat? Asking for a friend.
>>
File: 1447366458202.png (200KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1447366458202.png
200KB, 356x256px
>>51286084
>grim jester with a deck of many things

OHYO HYO LOOK I CAN CHANGE ANYTHING IN THE PAST

>chances the past
>a new future is created where everybody is dressed as jesters, it's common courtesy to act like a jester and everybody is a fucking baffoon. The party loses all their class levels due to never training appropriately, the entire plotline is sabotaged and if a player doesn't act in an appropriately funny manner rocks fall and they die
>this is how the world has always been to the player characters, so they have no memory of before
>there is no save against this
>>
>>51287816
How is the vampire CR 13 compared to the death knight?

>>51287825
And it's Kobold Press, who have been making shit for a while now.
>>
>>51287773
It's a bit odd, but considering that wood elves don't get extra on strength it's not a bad idea if you prefer elf features over dwarf features. You'd at least hope wood elf is balanced towards having to get that extra +5ft movement and dwarf is balanced towards having -5ft movement.
>>
>>51287159
Spook doggo.
>>
For some Homebrew I'm trying to create a Truenamer-style archetype for a half-caster. Trouble is while the flavor is obvious, the actual mechanics are hard to come up with.

Can anyone think of Truenamer-type abilities you'd like to see in an archetype?
>>
>>51287869
I'm not sure what's more stupid

A guy who achieves feats of immeasurable ability by waving his hands in a specific manner, speaking specific words and waving a crystal around

A guy who achieves feats of immeasurable ability by thinking really hard

A guy who achieves feats of immeasurable ability by begging god to help them

or

A guy who achieves feats of immeasurable ability by hacking into the universe's data database and taking each object's unique identification number to hack the universe.
>>
>>51287869
Why would anyone want to bring back the truenamer?
>>
>>51287900

I think the first and the last must at least be equally stupid because they both seem to have the mindset that reality is like a buggy videogame and you can glitch that shit by doing weird stuff.

>>51287914

Because it was so shit the first time that people still believe the concept has some power to it.
>>
>>51287854
A vampire is stronger and weaker than a Death Knight.

In terms of stats I'd say they are roughly even.
The Vampire gets regen and legendary resistance, the Death Knight gains magic resistance, spell casting up to level 5, vastly superior AC (+4 base with the option to raise to a whopping 26) as well as advantage against turning in an aura.

Not to mention in general much higher DPR through both its longsword, Hellfire Orb, Spells.

In return the Vampire has Hypersensitivity, and a whole bunch of weaknesses that can be exploited by a party.

Thats why its CR13 compared to CR17
>>
>>51287914
Because the fluff was god-tier despite the utterly shit mechanics?
>>
>>51287914
da fuq is a true namer

>I am John
>No you are in fact Tom!
>>
>>51287951
The concept of learning something's true name to gain power over it is in a number of fantasy stories. Truenamers specialize in figuring that shit out to shut their opponents down in various ways. It also applies to things that aren't alive usually, so if you learn enough true names you might start rewriting the world as if it was code and you were breaking the fourth wall or something.
>>
>>51287951
>>51287974
Alternatively, just read Earthsea.
>>
>>51287924
I don't know, gods are kind of like admins and begging them is kind of like repeatedly submitting tickets for help and being an annoying little shit but getting away with it because the admins like you.

Then the only reason the gods don't stop all the bullshit from happening is because they're not paying their server fees and the people at the server come along to shut the game down and the gods aren't allowed to interfere so the people have to help instead

I don't know, I never really liked gods Hand wavey bullshit: The entity.
>>
>>51287930
A vampire not having a weapon is ludicrous.

Wizards have changed a bunch of preconceived assumptions when it comes to the 5e bestiaries and adventures it seems; the ultratharid having a massively higher CR than the elder brain being a great example.
>>
File: 1473212232961.png (574KB, 605x558px) Image search: [Google]
1473212232961.png
574KB, 605x558px
>>51287974
Literally hacking jew: the class

I know some people might think 'anything that sounds awesome is god-tier!' but some of us have decency and prefer to stick with what is already established as reasonable, as bullshit as wizards are when you look back at them.
>>
>>51288044
It was fun fluff idiot. It was never a good class, God forbid OP.
>>
>>51287851
You know the worst thing about this character?
It's not that he's ridiculous op with an instant kill attack.
It's not that he's bullshit in general with tips to make him more bullshit.
It's that he's a skeleton jester. And not one of the written lines is a bone pun.
>>
File: getoutofrivia.jpg (717KB, 890x1200px) Image search: [Google]
getoutofrivia.jpg
717KB, 890x1200px
>>51286923
>>51287303

Any other ideas?
>>
>>51288059
The problem is exactly the fluff.

The general populance of D&D players can easily eat up bullshit of well-established fantasy casters such as arcane casters, divine casters, mind casters and pact-with-a-demon casters.

They're not so likely to eat up bullshit about a 'I hack life' caster.

I mean, yes, I'm actually saying here it's perfectly fine to make it as a homebrew like you want where it'll never likely see much use, but it should never be in the official release where everybody's using it unless they start running out of classes to make.
>>
>>51288044
>worse than pact magic
>worse than incarnum
>worse than psionics
>>
>>51288131
I'm not saying it's any more or less bullshit from a more objective standpoint.

It's just that people in general will treat it more bullshit.
>>
>>51288108
Truenaming is a well-established literary and mythological trope. Calling it hacking is like calling any other form of magic in a fantasy rpg hacking, in that that's only true if you want it to be.

Truenaming in D&D was a clusterfuck, but the fluff was interesting. Mechanically, it's only saving grace was that it was a "No-Save" magic system. If the caster could actually make his damn skill check (laughinggods.jpg) it didn't matter if you had a magical shield or sky-high saves. You were fucked. Granted, the effects sucked so even if you made your ludicrously stupid check you'd probably just mildly inconvenience someone for a round, but still.

A similar effect translated to 5e would be a limited use ability to reset a target's AC to 10, or their save on a particular ability to +0 for a round. Or you could remove a Resistance, or add a Vulnerability. Or something.
>>
>>51288172
It's mostly only established for certain creatures like devil widely. Most D&D players are unlikely to have come across a significant level of 'truenaming', even if you think there's a thousand books out there with it. Yet, everybody's more than familiar with warlocks, wizards, sorcerers, etc. Mystic might be the most far-fetched, but even then I'm pretty sure almost everybody in the western world knows the fantasy concept of psionics.

It would probably be more acceptable if it was just a rather generalized 'Caster that focuses on altering properties of and messing with objects. A transmutation sort of wizard.
Something like that would also allow for a broader range of character concepts, because honestly 'some guy that tries to fine the name fo everything' leaves people more baffled for a character idea than 'guy who waves his arms about and chants magicey stuff'. Then again, that's mostly because of the thing before where most people won't have an established idea of what they're supposed to look like, whereas when people think wizard they think 'Oh! Old man, grey beard, has a staff and robes.'
>>
Is the true namer the class involving the vestiges? Because we should absolutely have its iteration in 5e.

The truenamer iirc had amazing fluff but its mechanics needed a bit of work. We should still see its like in 5e.
>>
>>51288253
Same anon, we need the pact makers abs the true namers, with hopefully better mechanics for both.
>>
>>51288226
>people are uneducated and stupid
>therefore stop trying
Cool ideas and concepts are lost if we stop using the just because mouth-breathers can only picture Gandalf and Harry Potter when they hear the word Wizard.

Earthsea and Lord of the Rings both feature Truenaming in their own ways, and you can't exactly call them obscure. Most people in this hobby will at least having a passing familiarity with this sort of thing, so it's not strange at all to want to build on it.

As for the original request/question, since it's meant to be an archetype, you don't need a tremendous amount of content, just a bit of flavor and some powers.

>>51288253
No, that would be the Binder you're thinking of. Same book, but vastly different classes.
>>
>>51288280
We absolutely should see truenamers and binders and others. Naysayers can fuck off. They're stagnating D&D.
>>
>>51288302
Would love to see a good Binder, honestly.
>>
>>51288302
>stagnating
>in 20 years time, D&D 8th edition
>ye olde skateboarder class
>lifehacker class
>some guy who gets mystical energy from eating animal hearts and attacks hearts
>fighter (still boring and undeprowred)
>cardsman who harnesses the hidden power within cards to fight
>merchantman who harnesses the hidden power inside money to fight
>roboticsman
>ghostman
>vampireman
>kitsuneman
>sha...man?
>monk (still pandering to be the only bare-hands class. Now only uses wisdom, pisses off people who want to be dex monk or strength monk)
>cool man (Gains a seventh attribute score: coolness. Unlike bard or paladin, he gains ALL his powers from being cool, not just some.)

Welcome to the kitchen sink.

I think shaman would be better if they made a next official release.
>>
File: 1284586805815.jpg (84KB, 424x424px) Image search: [Google]
1284586805815.jpg
84KB, 424x424px
What's a good number of races for a setting without overwhelming players on options?

And yes something something 'humans only' meme
>>
>>51288347
>fighter (still boring and undeprowred)
Okay guys nevermind. We got a 3.5aggot here.

Shaman would be cool though.
>>
>>51288101
Hitting with both weapons in one round imposes disadvantage to the enemy you hit on their attacks against you for one round?
>>
>>51288374
I feel like between 4 and 6 is a good number if you're being traditional about it.
>>
Is there a way to view the gitthub offline? I mean it only gets updated when something new comes around. Is there an offline version of the page?
>>
File: 1382318071589.jpg (476KB, 600x743px) Image search: [Google]
1382318071589.jpg
476KB, 600x743px
All I know is that I'm appreciative of any form of magic that isn't wizardry.

>And how do you wield mystical primal forces?
>I read lots of scrolls and shit.
>What, like stuff anyone could read?
>Oh no, this is super secret magic text.
>How's that different?
>Because this stuff disappears randomly to make sure that it doesn't break the game. Although sometimes it stays just fine for no discernible reason, like in my spellbook. Did I mention how smart I am? That's the only way I'm distinguishable from anyone else, otherwise everyone could do magic maybe.

I know I'm probably about to get a ton of shit and I've even played wizards, but come on, give me something as a justification for why the person can use magic. It has really always read like wizards are "magic just 'cuz."
>>
>>51288347
Holy shit you're autistic.

What version of D&D did you like. Let me disregard your opinion immediately.
>>
>>51288384
If you go to the github, you can download the whole thing as a zip. Unzip it and open the .html files in a browser, works fine.
>>
>>51288393
AD&D, 5e. But, granted, I didn't play much of AD&D and I don't have a lot of experience with it, it was ages ago now.
>>
>>51288379

wut

I'm talking about using a single weapon.
>>
>>51288392
it depends on the setting, sometimes people are born into like its a mutant power, some have it be a learned thing with it varying between something a schoolchild can learn to needing decades of studying
i like the idea of learning it, in my setting its something you have to take up around high school age and apply yourself to be eb a magic user. to the point where if you haven't learned some kind of magic by 20 you become less likely and able to learned it with every passing year.
almost like learning a language except much harder
>>
>>51288374
Your party size + 2

Some people like to do the whole circus adventuring party thing, to help things feel a little unique. With the +2 everybody gets their won pick and there's a little wiggle room, in case someone picks last and is 'forced' into one.
>>
Hey guys, First time DMs with a bunch of first time players (we did mines first).

In rise of Tiamat, my players completely failed the meeting to recruit the metallic dragons, instead calling them stupid for bundling them into the same humans who did them wrong in the past.

My PCs pretty much always act this way to new people, always reacting hostile at any sign of resistance.

The way they're going they should definitely die and fail the end campaign. How do you run a bad ending campaign? How do players typically react? Should I give them another shot at recruiting the dragons?
>>
>>51288435
Okay, that's not bad. Just stop being an autist.
>>
>>51288461
Seems a bit lame if there's only one way the players can succeed. That said, if they fail all approaches, that's a deserved death.

Likely a bad end might include a tough fight or two and the destruction of many things they love, but doesn't necessarily have to kill them all off.
>>
>>51288392
For me Wizards specifically train on shit everybody can do. A magical equivalent of a Fighter.

Training in arcane pronounciation, writing, hand movements to manipulate energy, what order to use them in to create certain effects (thus "research" and the use for a book of long recipes).

The inconsistency for me is how scrolls can be read by any caster, so the whole 'arcane knowledge' thing becomes capoot.
Which is why I only have scrolls that fit to a particular class
>>
Just to clarify: If I take Magic Initiate as a spellcaster, can I use my class' spellcasting focus (e.g. a Cleric's shield) to cast another class' (e.g. Druid) spells? In other words: can I useShillelagh as a cleric without having to jump through hoops?
>>
>>51288484
I mean it wasn't going to be anything like >pathfinder because the entire post was basically saying 'We don't need class bloat, we need classes that are more generally applicable like shaman or a warlord'
I mean for fuck sake shaman even exist in real life.

>>51288497
Pretty sure you need to use the relevant caster's focus or a pouch. Just use a pouch or ask your DM to find a somewhere-inbetween-focus.
>>
>>51288497
>>51288513
Oh, right, forgot, a cleric's shield focus is actually the strongest focus in the game as it allows them to cast S+M component spells while still having both their hands full.

Obviously taking a level in cleric doesn't suddenly allow a wizard to cast their level 9 spells with a holy shield.
>>
>>51288513
if i remember correctly if you want to >greentext in the middle of a sentence you have to use empty spoiler brachets
though they may have gotten rid of it i haven't used it in a bit
>>
>>51288577

you can always just highlight the text you want to spoiler and hit ctrl-s.
>>
File: 1450009757593.jpg (388KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1450009757593.jpg
388KB, 1920x1080px
I want to prevent players from having super crazy powered characters at early levels but at the same time giving them a chance for nice early advantages, for example I have a variant human cleric in my group with the stats 16,16,16,14,16,14. Obviously he has significant survival advantage early on thanks to these stats and I want to prevent such rolls from happening in the future, or at least as often considering I have a character or two like this as well, but at the same time leaving some aspect of randomness in the character building process. My friend was thinking either 18pb+2d8 or 18pb+3d8 subtracting the lowest die, while I was thinking 12pb+8d6 subtracting the lowest die for each roll of 4 die. Which one would have the best balance to fun-factor ratio in your opinions?
>>
>>51288395
How do I do that on a mobile?
>>
>>51288685

You don't have to do anything, you'll probably not see another character like that.

If that's unsatisfying, try d6s instead. Or just use point buy.
>>
So is it just me or is the Scout really underwhelming?

I mean, why not just play a ranger?
>>
>>51288491
The metallic dragn force is pretty much the only thing capable of fighting against the chromatic dragons.

I might offer them a second chance but at a heavier defecit.

I feel they will mess this up anyway and the campaign will result in their deaths and the bad guys winning.
Wondering if anyone has had this ending happen with their players and how people react to this after a long campaign.
>>
>>51288685
roll 4d6d1 in order and make sure characters die reasonably often if you want variation or point buy if you want fairness and variation.

Everything else is shit, though array is still better than rolling and assigning stats.
>>
>>51288733
It's a bit railroading to say 'Okay, you have to convince the dragons, there is no other way.'
And, supposedly, the metallic dragons might be smart enough to actually go fight themselves without needing a few humans to convince them to go protect themselves. I don't know the campaign, though.

I mean it's not like it doesn't make sense but I just think it's not good to only ever have one way of solving a problem, especially when you have characters like the ones you have there that can't negotiate worth shit.

Granted, even if you do make, say, another evil faction able to compete (A legion of underground evil guys you release to the surface) for a possible bittersweet victory it's still slightly doubtful the players will manage to negotiate/unleash them, too.

Maybe the campaign will take a turn for the worst, dragons enslave most of the surface-dwelling world and the players are then on a campaign to try freeing the humanoids.
>>
>>51285595

Had a PC wizard did this. He was the last PC standing in a fight against the BBEG's right hand man, and he went retard and started monologuing in character about how godlike he was, and humiliated his opponent then released him back to his boss. Meanwhile, the other players were face palming hard.

What did the BBEG do? He promptly extracted the memories of the fight, discarded his fallen minion, and used his knowledge to create specialized assassins that countered every ability that they used in that fight. It was a quick TPK.

Best of all, halfway through the fight the PCs realised why their enemies knew all their abilities and tactics.
>>
>>51288710
>>51288736
>If that's unsatisfying, try d6s instead. Or just use point buy.
I'm aware of 27 point buy, I just want to find a medium between the total randomness of 4d61 x 6 and point buy.
>>
File: 1477669872072.png (828KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477669872072.png
828KB, 640x720px
>>51288764
Serves them right.

I hope they were legitimate counters instead of DM fiat, though, not 'I have an ability that just so happens to block all your spells if cast at me' but rather 'I can cast silence in your area and somebody is going to shove you down to the ground in the area of silence'.
>>
>>51288818
>total randomness of 4d6d1
This is the problem. It's not very random, assuming you're not rolling in order.

People think 4d6d1 actually gives any real level of variation at all.

The only variation it does is give arbitrary power increases and decreases, and generally since you allow players to assign these you see the same patterns: High con, high primary stat, low int, low strength or charisma.

If your cleric's stats are in order (16, 16, 16, 14, 16, 14) then you can see the problem right away - their two lowest stats are int and cha. Maybe if you do a super-social no-combat campaign these would be useful, but these are probably the two least useful stats for them and almost everybody aside from int and cha casters.

The only variation is that some characters get a higher con, some character's dump stats aren't quite as shit and so they're left with less flaws (14s instead of 8s) and even then the difference in stats mostly just makes players roll higher numbers. That's all - you don't get special abilities for having a certain level of wisdom, you just get higher rolls.

And that's why rolling in 5e sucks.
>>
>>51288858
I don't do it in order actually I just let them roll their stats then they decide their class and race.
>>
>>51287914
Truenamer has a lot more basis in mythology than any wizard or sorcerer ever did. Shit's just really cool flavour.

With that said, nothing prevents someone from sort of fluffing either of those casters as a truenamer either.
>>
>>51288874
Well then. The only variation you get is 'Some people have more ASIs than others because lolrandom', pretty much.

You might as well have everybody roll 1d4 at the start of the game and give them 1d4 levels so everybody starts at a different level considering ASIs are a levelling-up feature, one that fighter sacrifices some class abilities to get extra ASIs.
>>
When a DM just entirely fucks an entire session by having it unravel through basic problem solving, should I, as a player, intentionally ignore logic and just go along with the ride?

Long story short here, the DMs entire session, and i wasn't aware that this was the whole thing at the time, revolved around super powerful wizard BBEG shrinking us in our home, and we were meant to fight off seemingly giant insects in a field of towering grass and whatnot.

He had an NPC nearby, and we managed to get his attention, still on rails so far, and since we were straight up communicating I used Thaumaturgy so he could actually hear us as soon as i saw a bug i just asked him to squish any bugs that came near us.

DM basically got nervous for a few minutes, then admitted that was most of his session plans, and didn't know what to do.

I found a random encounter generator online, and we just ran a series of strange encounters while travelling instead, so we didn't do nothing, but I'm still unsure how i should feel about all of this, and where a player should draw the line between willingness to cooperate with the game, and simple common sense.
>>
>>51288891
DM has to be good at improvising while still making you feel valued for your plans.

he can squash the bugs, but there might be problems you can solve while small that he can't solve while big. He might ask you to go get this thing that fell under the house where he can't help you, and then he can bring you back to fullsize.

Then the DM pulls out the MM and picks a few neat monsters and reskins as necessary for you to fight under the house, and then you move on with your fucking lives the next session.

Not that hard. Even if he has to say "shit, give me 5 min to look something up" and everyone jerks off and eats wendy's for 5 minutes.
>>
>>51283347
wizard goes we still don't get to have a play with Mystic take 3
>>
>>51288912
Do not jerk off and eat wendies. It's like double dipping a fry, you just don't do it.
>>
>>51288912
It's not that i disagree at all, but, again, as a player, i want to know where/what i personally can/should do here.

Other than trying to coach the DM, which i suppose i could try if it happens again.
>>
>>51288975
if the session is stalling and the DM seems open to it, coaching/hinting is fine, especially if you can figure out a way to give ideas and make it seem like they're his.

Ask the NPC if you can do something for him, is there something you can find to get you back to full-size, etc. Anyone with any improv sense will know to "say yes" and keep things moving.

If your DM can't make it work, you just gotta keep trying to be helpful without hijacking the session, and try to be understanding.

Still, I think it's every DM's responsibility to be ready for shit to go sideways. Probably one of the most fun things that happens as a DM really - but people get very attached to their plans, and that's honestly the first mistake.
>>
>>51288493
Dude the only non-trained casters out there are sorcerrers.

The others learn magic through:

Arcane study, research and practice.

Being instructed by otherworldly beings.

Being passed down a particular tradition usually tied to faith.

Striking their senses to nature and learning to manipulate it through either practice or being taught passed down knowledge.
>>
>>51288711
It has its uses especially for people who like the mobile skilmonkey aspect.

Then again, I personally dislike how skills are handed out to classes in 5e.

I'd prefer if each class got one obligatory skill and 2 they can choose themselves.

For example Fighters/Barbarians get obligatory Athletics and pick 2 more from their skill list.

Ranger gets obligatory Survival and 2 from their list.

Monks get obligatory Medicine and 2 others.

Clerics get Religion and two others.

Wizard gets Knowledge Arcana and 2 more.

Rogue gets Stealth and two more.

Bard gets Perform and 2 others.

Druid gets Nature and 2 others.

Warlock gets Decepion and 2 others.

Sorcerer gets Persuasion and 2 others.

Each time you MC you gain weapon/armour proficincies and the obligatory skill.
>>
>>51289127
>Monks get obligatory Medicine and 2 others.
Acrobatics makes infinitely more sense than every monk being a trained medicine man.
>>
>>51289139
Are you serious?

They learn to use Ki, a force of magic heavily tied to the body.
Most monks would at least know a decent bit of anathomy, how to set a bone/joint and how to treat a wound.
The 4 classes that use "schools" to pass down their knowledge are : Wizards, Bards, Clerics and Monks.
Not to mention that their real life counterparts were at the forefront of medical research for centuries.
>>
>>51286084
Okay I have an idea to beat it.
>One sorcerer walks in, level 12ish.
>Beforehand he's used one instance of creation to make some adamantine or silver daggers, with tiny bells on them.
>Use a second instance for the punchline, put it in a bag of holding.
>Animate knives
>Then immediately stab ears, and stuff your head in a bag of holding
>Grim Jester uses joke.
>Can't hear the joke, and telepathy won't work across the bag's opening
>Knives go to work damaging him for roughly 20 damage a round.
>Bells and link with knives indicate his position, use spells that require him to make saving throws to whittle him down.
>Disintegrate and fireballs further whittle him, down, he has the option to run but hopefully you've got friends watching for that, either way if he misty steps outside, knives can still follow him. If he switches body illusions, it doesn't fool the knives blindsense.
>He doesn't do much in the way of damage, but keep some potions or fire resist spells on board.
>So he'll eventually recharge his joke and want to instagib you.
>Then go to grab the bag.
>Out from the bag falls a small mountain of gunpowder, covering you. And he has used his action.
>Activate investiture of flame, the jester is now dead.

It just requires its own extremely specific set of objects and skills. And your DM being cocky.
>>
>>51289177
Monks are defined by their physical abilities, enhanced by Ki. Knowing how your body works isn't the same as knowing the best way to fix a stab wound on someone else.

Every Monk has the ability to jump around better than normal

Warlocks literally have to get their power from someone else, nothing inherently says deception, but DOES inherently persuade their patron.

Sorcerors are just untrained magical people, they aren't inherently persuasive. If anything, their innate magic is probably pretty Intimidating from a young age.

Knowledge isn't a thing.

Nature is all about book learnin, druids have Survival, but if you don't want to double dip, DRUIDS would know about natural medicines.
>>
>>51289177
>>51289139
In an RP sense Medicine is best, in a minmax sense acrobatics makes sense. Its not like you can't get acrobatics from "backgrounds" pretty easily anyway.
>>
>>51289198
If medicine was a self-improvement skill, sure, but it isn't. It's about fixing OTHER people. So while fantasy monks often can use their training/willpower/body control to overcome injury, poison, and whatever else, it ISN'T built in that, especially in a world with divine magic, they would all know the art of stitches and bandages.
>>
>>51286084
>someone thought this was CR13
Maybe its in the book as a joke, maybe this is just a really meta joke that if you use this its basically a free TPK
>>
>>51289229
Kobold Press and the book are a joke.
>>
File: 1483848068241.jpg (39KB, 347x263px) Image search: [Google]
1483848068241.jpg
39KB, 347x263px
>>51288685
>super crazy powered characters
>at early levels
>>
>>51289274
It's a good book as long as you can stop the bullshit. Not so good if you're using it as a new DM.
>>
>>51288685
This isn't PF.

>>51289286
That shouldn't even happen. It should be a good product off the bat.
>>
>>51289291
That's third party for ya.
>>
>>51288347
Is...is it bad that I like the idea of throwing cards at everything?
YOU COULD SAY THIS WIN WAS IN THE CARDS
>>
>>51289312
The 3pps should get good.
>>
>>51289350
Just reskin eltrich blast to need a card material. Charge the card, fling the card.

You gambit now.
>>
>>51289402
Not him, but this is fucking good. It's actually good for modern-world games as well.
>>
>>51289402
We've got a Yuan-ti Warlock in my group, refluffing everything to be snakes.
It's fun.
>>
>>51289402
>>51289456
>>51289457
5e is truly great.
>>
>>51289350
There's a concept for a class that uses spellcasting by drawing cards, having a hand of cards and casting with those cards.
>>
>>51289475
I need it.
>>
>>51289486
There might be a more updated version somewhere.

There're some problems, but overall the class is at least playable and might be fun.
>>
>>51289510
All of those titles and entries need renaming, holy shit are those names awful.
>>
>>51286395
yea
>>
>>51289510
This isn't bad, not gonna lie.
>>
I wish poison damage wasn't trash
>>
>>51290103
Treachery paladin.
Sure it gets less and less viable the further up you get, but initially it's pretty damn powerful.

Can also put it on arrows.
>>
>>51284749
I miss when casting a spell provoked an attack of opportunity which could disrupt the casting.
>>
>>51290189
The main issue I have with it is so many things are immune or resistant to it
>>
>>51288101
Something like the Dual Wielder feat for +1 AC when wielding it two handed and some minor bonus like once per short rest parry/riposte maneuver with d6?
>>
>>51290103
It's because the PHB can't handle any rules for poison and WotC didn't bother making the Elemental Adept feat better where it degrades immunities to resistances and resistances being canceled entirely.

And before someone makes the joke.... Bludgeon elementals of the elemental plane of punching...
>>
New bread >>51290320
New bread >>51290320
New bread >>51290320
New bread >>51290320
New bread >>51290320
>>
>>51283347
Devotion paladin 3-5/favored soul sorcerer (war)(draconic if paladin 5)
Lots of known spells (if favored)
+CHA to attack
Smite
greenflameblade as a bonus action.
+CHA to dmg (if draconic)
>>
>>51287784
This is just an OP bladelock
>>
>>51283347
Can someone unban me from the discord? I was the guy who made like 5 accounts all pretending to be Lyndoodle at once. Was just fucking around. pls
Username is netnei, tag is 2647
>>
>>51289197
>Every Monk has the ability to jump around better than normal
And what has that got to do with Acrobatics?
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.