[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 505
Thread images: 44

File: dwarven city.jpg (376KB, 800x575px) Image search: [Google]
dwarven city.jpg
376KB, 800x575px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread: >>51240770

Thread Topic: How do you do dwarves in your world? Do they build massive cities? Are they still inhabited? Are the ruins still intact? Are they just angry, bearded, drunk midgets? Are they (relatively) taller, much more stout gnomes, who aren't absolutely nuts, yet still craft intricate feats of engineering, magic, and tinkering? Are they just angry, drunk, bearded midgets?
>>
What's a good motivation for a Druid? What's a good reason for one to leave his' forest?
>>
>>51248147
Shit's on fire, yo.
>>
>>51248147
Your home forest's already got more than enough druids, go find some new forest that needs protecting.
>>
File: 1475423723594.png (661KB, 800x806px) Image search: [Google]
1475423723594.png
661KB, 800x806px
>>51248159
I can confirm that the forests all being of fire is a great reason for a Druid to adventure.
>>
>>51248147
Not all druids come from forests
>>
>>51248147
He recognizes that the greatest threat to the forest is unchecked human expansion whose root cause is actually wealth inequality and poor efficiency in traditional farming techniques. He sets out to improve the lives of the peasantry by clearing all the goblins out of their shit, teaching them sustainable farming practices, crop rotation, and so on, allowing them to produce more food on less acreage and with less waste, thereby eliminating their need to expand further and take up more forestland with farms and shit.

The number one driver of population growth is poor education and life quality. People with great lives don't need six children.
>>
>>51248206
desert is on fire.
>>
Alright, posted this last thread, only one guy replied but I ended up changing a few things to make it fit more in line with the rest. Is this too strong?
>>
>>51248147
He want to catalog all beasts into his wild shape form bestiary. And become the very best like no one ever was *DUN DUN DUNDUN*
>>
First time DM

Warlock has been using the spell scorching ray

That's not a warlock spell and I didn't check

How to handle this
>>
>>51247904
>Ghostwise Halfling, 8, 17, 14, 10, 16, 8.

Are these set in stone? That's a lot of Dex for a moon druid. I'd be tempted to go 8 10 15 14 16 10 and just take the Magic Stone cantrip for a ranged option
>>
>>51248250
Free unlimited invisibility at level 3 as a bonus action? Do you even have to ask?
>>
Dorf fort+Warhammer Fantasy. Incredible prowess both martial and construction based but loony with their laws and grudges and general tendencies.
>>
>>51248256
tara pls
>>
>>51248282
Not him and while I agree with you that 17 DEX is too high... 10 is probably too low. You need some DEX for initative.
>>
File: 1483829863295.jpg (52KB, 576x472px) Image search: [Google]
1483829863295.jpg
52KB, 576x472px
>>51248220
Arctic has frozen over
>>
>>51248098
My dwarves are just as much a nautical, trading society as they are the underground, crafting society
>>
>>51248147
A coming of age trial, going out on your own to learn enough about the world to protect your home from what's outside of it
>>
>>51248256
l'm doing exactly that. He's a tribal shaman with a fascination with animal bones. He's more of a natural spirits lover than a tree lover.
>>
>>51248278
Is he fiend pact? If he is he can learn it
>>
>>51248286
Is that the only problem problem my homebrew has? Someone from the previous thread pointed out if it was just being hidden by itself, other creatures could point you out and you just waste an action for nothing with zero pay off. I remedied that, and additionally made it so you had to be right next to a creature. I think I did forget to put wording in there that made it so you couldn't hide from who you're standing next to.

Appreciate the input.
>>
File: 1467915513145.jpg (34KB, 540x408px) Image search: [Google]
1467915513145.jpg
34KB, 540x408px
>>51248278
should I take it away or let him keep using it..?

I gave out magical items, one of them was bagpipes of invisibility. That character now makes that the staple of everything he does since apparently he's always drunk.

which brings me to my 3rd question...

if a character roleplays as being drunk all the time do I give him disadvantage on perception and attacks? He's drunk. Or do I just let it slide and ignore it.
>>
>>51248278
Tell him to read the fucking spell list, don't let him use it anymore

I had the same issue with a warlock player fucking up when I first started, I think it attracts people who want to play a spellcaster but are too lazy to learn how they work
>>
how come there were no rules answers for November or December?
>>
>>51248278
>>51248390
If he's a fiend pact warlock, he can learn it.
>>
File: [Eurobeat stops].gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
[Eurobeat stops].gif
2MB, 400x300px
>Playing a side campaign, the main one was on hiatus due to some players having to deal with some irl stuff
>friend who was with us at the start of the main one, but bailed due to lack of interest, decided to join this one
>rolls a monk
>party is a group of 12 initiates delving into other planes of existence to prove their worth
>Monk never pays attention, is always posing, smashing rocks and is otherwise completely ignorant to the story
>for two sessions he does this, non stop
>near the end of the campaign, encounter a huge multi-armed abomination, it grabs one of the party members and climbs up a stone pillar
>Prior to this encounter, one of the NPCs who was flirting with the Monk was melted away by a monstrosity, leaving behind her pair of ear muffs that helped prevent him from being put to sleep by the abomination who had knocked out most of the party except for the wood elf
>Monk decides to smash the pillar
>DM gives him advantage from all of his rock smashing
>entire party is cheering for him
>he tightens his ear muffs
>gives a hot blooded roar
>rolls double 1s
>he breaks his fist

>later on, after the multi-armed monstrosity was dealt with, encounter the final area before we return to the surface
>encounter an Angel
>The group was given one rule prior to the test, to not "break the angel's illusion"
>Angel asks a question
>we must roll a religion check
>Monk rolled the highest
>he responds
>"Why yes, I am familiar with these fairy tales."
>next thing we know, someone is missing half of their face, a severed leg, and there's blood everywhere as we run for the exit
>Monk has now been immortalized as the campaign's first ever magical gun, with an inscription that reads
>"I spoke of tales, and now I am one."
>>
>>51248373
No, he is great old one.
>>
>>51248278

Fiend Pact Warlocks get Scorching Ray
>>
>>51248415
Then he messed up, just make him switch it out
>>
File: Rama4.png (491KB, 512x724px) Image search: [Google]
Rama4.png
491KB, 512x724px
>>51248147
A demon lord kidnapped his girlfriend.
>>
>>51248415

maybe he misread the table, or the spellbook app which specified the pact

Please be nice and inform him to revise that shit
>>
>>51248382
> regardless of actions from other creatures
pointing out can't help if you put that text in. And pointing out doesn't immediately clear hidden condition anyway. At most it let the enemy pin point your location.
>>
>>51248473
Hmm, so should I make it something like

"Additionally, you remain hidden from that creature during your turn, regardless of your actions. "
>>
>>51248098
My dwarves live mostly in the "underdark", which is almost entirely dwarf-made. Their surface settlements are little more than massive gates into equally massive elevators inside mountains, to bring merchants and wares down to the dwarf kingdoms and bring dwarven exports to the surface to sell to the humans and elves.
Over the past six thousand years, dwarves have been a constant. They have an extensive tradition with shamanism (clerics focused on stone), and only started developing technology and machinery after they encountered humans. Their population went through a steep decline during the "creeping plague" about a thousand years ago, but has remained stable since then. The abandoned underground cities and tunnels are what form the uncivilised underdark, while the areas still controlled by dwarves form a pleasant society underground. They operate enormous mushroom farms and also farm a form of algae in massive caverns flooded with salt water for that specific purpose. Their homes are illuminated by crystals imbued with energy to the point where they give off a decent orange light, with more powerful variants being used in the algae farms and as a form of border defence against certain underdark creatures.
After they encountered humans, their technological development took off, and in short time they'd used their advanced metallurgical and stone-o-mancy skills to figure out a way to "charge" energy into metal. Basically, magitech coils that can be wound up to an extreme level without breaking, with only very slight energy leaks. These coils power everything from automatic machine-crossbows to mechanical trains that haul cargo and passengers between settlements. Almost all dwarven outposts are built around either a cave water source or a heat source. The former power dams that recharge coils, while the latter power very simple steam engines to do the same thing.
>>
>>51248507
Dwarves are fairly isolationist, but also prominent traders. They prefer simply caving in an elevator over fighting back surface-dwellers in a war, but since they keep to themselves even fairly hostile surface nations are usually content to leave them be.
The creeping plague was released from "The Depths" after the dwarves predictably dug too deep, and released whatever the ancient elven empire imprisoned there. Their primary underground enemies are:
Goblins, who invaded the dwarven kingdoms after the creeping plague through suddenly unmanned surface forts.
Drow, descended from the ancient elven prison wardens in the vaults below.
Illithids, one of the races the elves imprisoned in the dawn age.
Duergar, who are pockets of survivors of the plague cut off from mainstream society for centuries. The years of isolation turned them insular and belligerent. Many were enslaved by Illithids. and even after rising up and slaying their illithid oppressors they've formed evil kingdoms of their own. Some still toil under Illithid enslavement.
Forgotten Ones, servants of the Forgotten God, who are a cult of many races that worship the monstrosities seeping out of the dark ore that can be found at the very bottom of the deepest vaults.
Kerat, a human necromancer-turned-lich who conquered a surface fort a century ago and established a short-lived kingdom. He was chased out of the fort by an army from his homeland, and formed a new kingdom deeper in. The dwarves have to fight off scouting parties of ghouls and skeletons every now and then, but he generally keeps to himself. Current BBEG for my party.
>>
>>51248098
My Dwarves are Mexican.
>>
>>51248382
Do you really need to be undetectable in a clearly detectable area?
>>
>>51248530
mi amigo. Our group did the same thing once for a campaign. Best thing we ever did.
>>
>>51248098
My dwarves are gauchos.
>>
>>51248098
>Primevel Guardian
>We Ultraman now

SHAAAAAAAA
>>
>>51248098
Same as normal except I loved copied some shit from 4e and they're all obsessed with ghosts of their ancestors and achieving immortality.
>>
>>51248535
The idea I had when stealing this from the Ambuscade Ranger(and modifying it a bit) was that you're using combat and other distracting shenanigans to hide yourself in blind spots. Example, if a orc is lumbering down at you, and his orc friend is directly behind him, the feature would allow you to use that to your advantage and attack in a way the other orc wasn't expecting. Essentially using enemies or allies to block line of sight for you to quickly dash to the side and attack.
>>
File: 1480922499958.png (336KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1480922499958.png
336KB, 720x540px
>>51248397
>>
>>51248098
TES Dwemer are my favourite take on Dwarves, best take on dwarves. I honestly prefer that the tinkering be dwarven, and not having gnomes, or at least having them be related or closely allied with the dwarves.
>>
>>51248600
What about bonus action, target an enemy that hasn't hit (maybe attacked) you since your last turn, reverse barb rage stipulation. You gain advantage.

If they ignore you/can't get to you/hit you, you get advantage. If they chase you around they negate it.

You could put something in about using people as cover (upgrade from 1/2 cover to 3/4), or do some kind of switcharoo check, contest against a creature to let them get hit instead, use your reaction, maybe X times/short rest.
>>
>>51248545
Hell yeah. I'm making what is basically the post-Civil War Wild West period. Elves are French. Orcs are Native American. Halflings are Chinese. Dwarves are Mexican.

It's real easy because you turn every -ez in Spanish into an -az and boom, it's instantly Dwarfy.
>Dorn Rodrigaz

There's actually three groups of Dwarves:
The colonial "Spanish", who used to have all of "Mexico" and most of the west coast, but were chased off by a weird natural disaster and hordes of strange creatures, leaving all that space open to be recolonized by the Humans spreading West and the Orcs trying to reclaim their native lands. The Spanish Dwarves aren't really seen because the Mexicans serve as a big buffer nation between the last Spanish hold-out in the far south and where the rest of the action takes place.
The "Spanish" retreat and confusion also allowed the "Mexicans" to gain their independence and throw off the monarchy. They're in the process of getting all their shit together, but are creeping northwards and trying to reclaim most of the former Spanish territory. The humans don't really want to start shit with them, because while there hasn't been an "American/Mexican" war, they just got through with their own civil war shit and aren't really in a position to pick another fight.
And the Native Dwarves, who live in isolated communities in and around a huge gorge in the most inhospitable desert of the south and do weird shaman shit. They originally populated the southern half of the continent but interbred with and were summarily blown the fuck out by the colonial Spanish, so now they keep to themselves. Everyone thinks they're few in number and are a primitive, dying group, but they have a secretly thriving underground civilization hidden within the gorge that makes everyone else look like dog shit; it was only the weirdo outcasts that stayed up on the surface to get beat up by the Spanish.
>>
New to DnD.

I'm playing a Druid as my first character and am a little confused on spells.

It says that I have 2 spell slots at level 1. Does this mean I have access to all level 1 spells and I pick 2 of them each day to prepare and use

OR

Does it mean that I just pick two of them and those are ones I have to use until I get addition level 1 spell slots from leveling up?
>>
>>51248435
>His girlfriend kidnapped the demon lord
>>
>>51248507
>>51248523
Shamelessly stealing these ideas
>>
>>51248698
Spell slots in D&D 5th Edition are like a mana pool. You prepare spells per day equal to your Wisdom modifier plus Druid level. Then you can consume spell slots to cast spells amongst those you've prepared.
>>
Been mulling over possible neat custom race ideas and recently was suggested trying Dullahan-

What would be the biggest issue? I think the idea that the PC basically couldn't touch gold (Probably take necrotic damage if they did or somehting) would be neat, but the whole head mechanics seems a little heavy to code into a PC race.
>>
>>51248698
It varies from class to class.

Druids work like this:
You KNOW every Druid spell
Every long rest, you PREPARE a number of those spells equal to your Druid level + your Wis modifier (a level 3 Druid with 15 Wisdom [+2 mod] prepares 5 spells)
You can cast any of your prepared spells a number of times equal to your spell slots
>>
What are the rules on circling an enemy?

Fighter is in front of a goblin, he chooses to circle around behind goblin and attack a 2nd goblin

as long as he doesn't leave the goblin's reach, he doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity
>>
>>51248710
Go ahead, I'm glad you liked it that much.
>>
>>51248698

Check out page 66 in the Player Hand Book, under the section titled "Preparing and Casting spells," second paragraph, paraphrased: Choose a number of Druid spells equal to your spellcasting modifier (Wisdom) + your Druid level.

In your case, I'm going to assume you have 16 Wisdom. You then prepare 4 spells off the Druid spell list to use that day.

You can then cast those four spells, in any combination you choose, using your two spell slots. For instance, you could prepare and then cast Goodberry, then cast it again. But if you do not prepare Goodberry, you cannot cast it at all. Whenever you cast a spell, it takes up a spell slot. A level 1 spell uses a level 1 spell slot, a level 2 spell uses a level 2 spell slot and so on.
>>
>>51248768
>as long as he doesn't leave the goblin's reach, he doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity
Yes
>>
>>51248768
Yup, if they don't leave their threat range they don't trigger an AoO. That can be interpreted as 'circling'
>>
>>51248698
Druids prepare Wis Mod + Druid Lvl spells per day. Only prepared spells can be cast. Druids can change out their spells on a long rest.

Casters have spell slots that correspond to their level/the chart for their class. When you want to cast a spell you use up a spell slot of equal or greater level. Some spells might give you a bonus for using a higher spell slot, but even if it doesn't you can use a higher spell slot in an emergency.

You do NOT marry spells to slots, you use up a slot on cast.
>>
>>51248768
You just answered your own question. Provided you don't leave a mob's threat space, you can freely circle around it. Bear in mind flanking doesn't actually come into play unless the optional rule from the DMG is used (which I wouldn't recommend to begin with since it's flat-out broken).
>>
>>51248098
Instead of 3d6 or 4d6 drop lowest, how does 8+2d4 sound?
>>
>>51248830
>literally can't have a stat under 10
I mean, if you're trying to let your characters build tiny gods, okay

I'd just say "32 point buy" though
>>
>>51248830
>Not 7+3d3
>>
>>51248830
Seems fine. Although, and I'm not even a point buy guy, with it in such a limited range why not just go with point buy anyway?
>>
>>51248250

1. So at 3rd level you get the champion ability PLUS a bonus action hide. No.

2. "orotherwise"

3.Skirmisher's stealth is so poorly written I don't even know where to begin. Obviously overpowered, can I hide from the creature next to me? Can the choosen creature detect me afterwards? How does this interact with the Hide action rules?

4. Hard to explain why reinforced armor would allow to choose ANY kind of damage, but I could see it working with blud/slash/pierc and maybe cold/fire.

5.Blade cascade has also some terrible wording. "You may move up to an additional 5 feet away from the creature". Does this mean that if I have the chicken conga line I can move indefinitely? This reminds me so much from 3rd edition days. I see the point of it, it just sounds horribly complicated and weird.

"You don't provoke opportunity attacks from creatures you have damaged with a melee weapon attack this turn. Additionally, whenever a creature you haven't already damaged this turn with a melee weapon attack is within range, you can take a free melee weapon attack against it. You may use this only during your turn and only if you haven't missed any attack"

6. Oh boy where to start with infighter. First of all, you remove the attack roll completely, which sounds broken as fuck, you should give it advantage and call it a day. The exhaustion on criticals sounds cool but...

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU GIVE HIM TWO SKILLS THAT INTERACT WITH THE ATTACK ROLLS, THAT YOU REQUIRE TO SCORE A CRITICAL, AND THEN REMOVE THE NEED OF ATTACK ROLLS.

It sounds like you want your character to do a bunch of stuff bloodborne related, and just put it together without thinking for even a second, not only about how it interacts with the actual games rules, you failed to see how his skills interact within the class. This needs a complete rework.
>>
>>51248679
Is that really that much different compared to say, something like this?

"At the start of your turn, if you're next to a creature, you may use a bonus action to choose a different creature within 30 feet of you. You become hidden from that creature until the end of your turn. "
>>
>>51248801
Does flanking exist? Do l get advantage on an attack if a goblin just attacked an ally and turned his back on me?
>>
>>51248830
Not a fan senpai
>>
>>51248098
In my world Dwarves are the most common of the races ("Dwarvish" is known as Common and most folk speak it, humans speak Human)

Dwarves the most common form of the humanoids crafted from the elements. (Note that Dwarvish and all similar languages use the same script as primordial. All "planes" are on the singular planet, most notably the elemental chaos in the far north, each element differing itself from others until transitioning into "civilized land". Still working on worldbuilding etc(have yet to actually begin play)but the largest elements are hashed out. Each quarter of the planet longitude wise (each cut south from the chaos North Pole) is claimed by one of the four elements as well as one "extraplanar"/additional entity. The Holy Water, The Sylvan Earth, The Draconic Air, and the Infernal Fire, and most inhabitant's skin has a slight tint corresponding to their home element, all the way until Genasi. The default of course for them and any other half race is half Dwarvish.

I'd actually love to talk more about this/get feedback on it if anyone here cares enough
>>
>>51248843
>>51248858
>>51248861
>>51248875
Just probing for new ideas. Arrays and 4d6 drop lowest gets boring after so many years

Anyone have better ideas?
>>
>>51248896
>Arrays and 4d6 drop lowest gets boring after so many years
p o i n t
b u y
>>
File: dice wars.png (59KB, 1720x409px) Image search: [Google]
dice wars.png
59KB, 1720x409px
>>51248830
>>51248858
Provide multiple arrays.
>>
>>51248399
Rules answer guy is helping with UA and the answer is always RTFM anyway.
>>
>>51248896
1d20 for each stat, in order.
>>
one of my players died.

Fighting near a cliff with 100 ft+ drop

Fighting a bunch of bugbears, the last one one grapples and picks up an unconscious player.

Warlocks uses eldritch blast... and pushes the bugbear off the cliff with the player.

What should I do with my now dead player? reincarnate or reroll?
>>
>>51248938
Can they get the body to a sufficiently leveled druid who is willing to cast the spell in time? No?

Reroll.
>>
>>51248873
Yes. It's based around observing something without them attacking you instead of hiding in plain sight. Maybe if you made it a blatantly magical archetype with uses per day.
>>
>>51248938
Depending upon your group's level and the damage done to the body, they could try to track down a Cleric or Druid to revive the person.

Meanwhile, the dead player's soul can do a bit of solo roleplay as they travel about in the afterlife.
>>
>>51248938
Forced movement ends grapples. RAW, the bugbear would have immediately dropped the player and flown off the cliff by his lonesome.
>>
Nature being an int skill rustles my jimmies. My ranger should really be able to be good at that shit without going out of my way statwise. I can't even argue that it doesn't make sense as int, but I'm going to post about it anyway.
>>
>>51248938
If the party gets the body and puts in the effort to revive the player, and the player doesn't mind having a temp character or sitting out until they revive him, let them.
If they don't (and since they literally shot the player off the cliff in the first place I doubt they will) have the player reroll. Death should always be serious.
>>
>>51248938
>forced movement
Have you tried retcon?
>>
>>51249018
I see your words anon
>>
>>51249006
>>51249040
what page please
>>
>>51248882
My only issue with a planet with all of the 'planes' is it makes the planes really small or the planet really, really big.

I mean it shouldn't really impact a campaign but it does make the world feel kinda weird. Mostly in that global travel would be exceedingly difficult beyond just length and such.

Dwarves being common is cool, tho.
>>
>>51249056
PHB. 290 under the grappled status condition.
>>
>>51248098
>>51246342

lost saga is shit and you should feel bad for posting an image relating to it.
>>
>>51249018
lt does make sense as an int stat. lt's a study. Survival can be used in a similar (and arguably better) way, as you usually don't need to care about the biology of bear, just that it is a big fat dangerous beast with sharp claws.
>>
>>51248910
>>51248916

My brother passing by said 7+ flip 4 coins.
Heads = 1
Tails = 2

Thought it was stupid at first but it might have some merit.

Would there be a way to generate arrays with something like playing cards?

>>51248930
Brutal. Love it
>>
>>51248872
I appreciate the critique.

>1-3
Currently that's the biggest problem right now, Skirmisher's Stealth. Looking into alternative ways to fix/rework it.

>4
Most of the damage types I can see ways to build/dress yourself up in to avoid realistically. Radiant and necrotic are iffy, such as maybe wearing blessed religious stuff.

>5
I have problems with wording things and getting my mechanical intent across, your wording works much better.

>6
My intent was to balance it out a bit, either the player goes for less reliable damage to wear their target down or go for the guaranteed damage. I suppose it wasn't a very smart choice as far as mechanics go.

To end though, you are partially right. What I do when I create homebrew is try and find interesting abilities to try and later shave down to be reasonable. When I get input/critique I adjust accordingly based on the feedback, and then double check with mechanics when the consensus says it is balanced/cool.

>>51248970
Gotcha, I'll try and find something similar to what you suggested in terms of mechanics.
>>
Rolled 7, 18, 19, 19, 11, 9 = 83 (6d20)

>>51248930
Really shit stat gen makes me play Moon Druid/Ranger UA Beastmaster if it's available to skip the whole 'stats matter' part of the game.
>>
>>51249102
I said (in a roundabout way) that it made sense as int. And it's not a huge deal, just gives me a bit of the feelbads when the ranger is told to make a nature check and gets a hot +0 mod. I should have at least taken proficiency in it.
>>
>>51249200
Nope, you're a bladesinger now
>>
>>51248758
They make good monsters not players
>>
>>51248930
While kinda fun a 30% chance of producing a super crippled character isn't very fun.
>>
>>51248874
It's an optional rule.
Doesn't seem to be very popular though because it gives advantage far too easily.
>>
File: arry.png (498KB, 625x400px) Image search: [Google]
arry.png
498KB, 625x400px
>>51249216
I'm a what?
>>
>>51249248
I've found that simply replacing the Advantage with a +2 bonus to hit like a previous editions does away with how broken it is while still rewarding doing so.
>>
>>51248098
Dwarves in my world are very closely related to gnomes, whom they both lived together in society. While dwarves more often held political, military, and mercantile roles, the gnomes were more often in working class roles, operating as craftsmen, engineers, tinkerers, and wizards. More menial roles were then held by slaves. They fucked up, had too many slaves, and they ended up killing the entirety of the dwarves and gnomes, who are know extinct, although most scholars believe that it was some sort of magical phenomenon that caused their extinction, the typical "they dug too deep" sort of thing, but that is not the case. They realized how fucked they were, since they were vastly outnumbered, so instead of letting their works get destroyed, they decided it was best to destroy everyone, and through some magical shit they genocided their entire race, and almost the entirety of the slaves, save a few, who devolved into bestial races which inhabit some ruins, albeit in very small numbers. Because the cities were left completely intact, and the work of various constructs, plus the masterwork of the dwarves and gnomes, the lost underground empire of the dwarves has managed to stay relatively the same for thousands of years, as if they had only just disappeared. The dwarves get avoided with a wide berth, since the constructs make trying to loot these cities suicide, with the few attempts to delve into these ruins always leading to death.
>>
>>51249067
I'm relatively okay with large overland travel requiring either high level magic or long arduous travel or maybe a combination of both. Basically using tiers of play to gauge how far away from Starting Village PCs should be in general and I get to use it as an excuse for lack of racial diversity throughout the realms.
Which is really not too different from standard 5e expectations I think. Sure, the whole world of Toril exists, but every adventure takes place on a relatively small coastline and getting to foreign realms is about as difficult and expected as getting to Hell, maybe even less so.
It helps that most planes other than the important few are getting cut or cut into a much smaller area, and the ones left are basically getting stacked on top of one another.
>>
>>51249234
Don't be so pessimistic. Think of it as a 30% chance of making a great to amazing character.
>>
>>51249156

What you should do is once you have the idea/thing/skill/ability you want it to be built around, make a background template and see what other abilities make sense within it. Then see how this abilities interact with each other and if they move forward on building that concept. Finally these abilities need to make sense within the game rules and the context of the other character options.

It has to be built in an organic way around the original idea, otherwise you are just stappling thing together. Ditch the things that don't make sense and make new ones that do, and those that didn't might suit a different idea later, who knows.

And like I said, always check how it is compared to other similar options. If you are trying to build a mobile but dangerous melee arquetype, see how his abilities compare to those other similar classes get. If the champion gets improved crit at 3rd level, why would this class get that and also another abilitie? is it because it's mechanics doesn't allow him to get it's benefit that often? is it because it's later options are weaker? does the class even need the improved crit as a damage bonus?
>>
>>51249215
Yeah, I don't think it would have hurt to give rangers automatic expertise and proficiency in nature and survival. 2*Prof+Mod is enough to suit most rangers needs, I think.
They won't be doing surgery, but they'll at least be able to succeed on a check to know some trivia about bears more often than not.
>>
Anyone played a war cleric? How does it feel? I'd like to play a cleric with some melee capability, mostly because sitting back tossing sacred flame around sounds dull and I never play melee. If it blows I'll just be a paladin I guess.
>>
>>51249338
Alright, I appreciate the help and advice. Then to start from the ground up and go from there, is something like this much better for Skirmisher's Stealth? If yes, then improved critical would be removed.

"Skirmisher's Stealth
Starting at 3rd level, you turn the chaos of combat to your advantage. Using other creatures as cover, and the clangs of steel to mask your sound until the final moment.

At the start of your turn, you may use your bonus action to choose a target creature. As long as that creature has attacked a target other than you since it's last turn, you have advantage on attacks against it."
>>
>>51249387
Cleric isn't a melee guy. You might get enough melee to use it over cantrips, but you're there for the bless/heal/revivification/status clearing, not the big dick murderslaughter. Paladin gives you the nova to feel cool.
>>
>>51249464
On that note if you end up playing Cleric and want as much melee as you can get you can go Nature Cleric and take shillelagh as your Druid cantrip for 1d8+Wis with a shield. It's still a side show to your actual spells.
>>
>>51249464
Yeah, I'm not looking at cleric thinking I'm going to beat people up. I want the clericy stuff but without having to stand back in combat, mostly. Paladin as an alternative is largely because I can be in the thick of things but still bless and heal.
>>
>>51249229
I mean same could be said about most of the Volo races but I guess the whole head thing is a bit reaching.
>>
Making minor villain monk who mainly uses grapples and unarmed strikes.

He has 16 str/dex and has an ability called Kaioken which increases his str/dex to 25/25 and 1 extra attack at the cost of having taking 1d6 damage per turn.
>>
File: HatTipCartoon.jpg (15KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
HatTipCartoon.jpg
15KB, 320x320px
>>51248743
>>51248759
>>51248799
>>51248811

Appreciate the information. Very easy to understand now.
>>
>>51248896
>Anyone have better ideas?
There's an idea I want to try, that I've posted about here before (with mixed reactions). The explanation is a bit lengthy but once you understand it the idea is really pretty simple:

>Requirements
-6 or fewer players who aren't asshats, session 0 is mandatory, (optional) calculator

>Setup
-Every player rolls 4d6 drop lowest and writes them down IN ORDER
-If there are fewer than 6 players, DM rolls until there are 6 sets of scores
-Starting from the DM's left, the DM writes down each set of scores, with each set on a new line and equally spaced
-DM then draws lines between the whole mess to create a 6x6 grid
-(optional) DM totals each row and column, crossing out the highest and lowest row/column

>Usage
-DM presents the grid to their players. The players must choose which rows or columns each player will use for their ability scores, in a cooperative fashion.
-A row or column may be read left to right, right to left, top to bottom, or bottom to top, but aside from that scores must be used in order.
-Once a row or column is used, no other player may use that row or column unless the order is reversed.
-Players may choose to veto any row or column if they all agree on doing so. If fighting occurs over a row or column, the DM veto's it.

That's it. The idea is that you still get the character discovery that comes with 4d6DL in order, but there's enough selection to prevent people from getting fucked over by it. More importantly, it kicks off your session 0 by introducing cooperation and team building from the earliest possible point. The hope is that players are less likely to be jealous of another player's scores because they have some agency in the matter. "I'm salty AF about that cockbite Mike's because he rolled 17 str and 18 con" becomes "We gave Mike those scores because he's our meat shield and I want to play a full caster."

If anyone's ever brave enough to try it plz let us know how it goes.
>>
>>51249268
That's not a bad idea senpai
>>
What's your favorite humanoid monster minion race? l personally really like Gnolls.
>>
>>51249655
Fuck that noise. Just use arrays you turbo nerd.
>>
File: EQYQaSB.jpg (81KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
EQYQaSB.jpg
81KB, 650x366px
Can anyone recommend some good standalone dungeons/adventures to mix into my campaign? For my next session I plan to have a physical board with quests on it the party can choose from.

So far I've got the Death House, the Redbrand Hideout from Phandelver (repurposed as a slaver base), and Tales Trees Tell.
>>
Horizon Walker is just MtG Planeswalker right..?
>>
As a druid, can l provide the somatic components of a spell while holding a shield and a druidic focus (staff)?
>>
How do you make an interesting villain?
>>
>>51250086
Need the warcaster feat.
>You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
>>
>>51250169
Make his goals interesting and not evil for the sake of being evil.
Make his methods unforgivable but probably the best given the situation.
Give him a conscience, but a resolve to see things through to prevent some big thing from happening.
Players must either throw in with him, allow the big thing to happen, or find a third option.
>>
>>51250169
by giving them motives.
>>
>>51250176
Not if the weapon or shield is also a spell focus
>>
>>51250061
Read through the published adventures, there's tons of stuff to choose from. Storm King's Thunder has a load of smaller things made explicitly for stuff like that, but if you're looking for something bigger, Out of the Abyss has a few dungeons early on that are exactly what you're looking for, such as Hook Horror Hunt, The Oozing Temple, and Lost Tomb of Khaem. Princes of the Apocalypse has some good stuff too, I like the monastery from it.
>>
>>51250086
>>51250176
The answer would be "depend on spell".

You can use the same hand that manipulating material component for somatic component. So if the spell has both S and M component, you can use provide both while holding your focus.

You're screw if you want to cast spell that only has S component like Cure Wound though, and you would have to get warcaster like the other guy said.
>>
>>51250254
Honestly it's a floaty rule, I think that's exclusively for guys that want to wield a greatsword and cast. I'd argue that having a shield strapped to your arm doesn't keep your hand from doing shit.

If your DM is weird about it, ask to have a caster shield specially made.
>>
>>51250284
Supposedly spell focuses remove the material need.
>>
>>51250086
>>51250176
>>51250254
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/26/holy-symbol-replace-somatic-components/

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/04/holy-symbol-on-shield/

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-spellcasting
>>
>>51249200
You just rolled nega-wizard
>>
The dwarves are dying. Not because of a plague or because they're being killed by orcs. No, the dwarves are dying out. one by one. It was so subtle a death sentence that it took the dwarves two centuries to catch on. Every day, fewer and fewer dwarves were being born, until about a century and a half ago, the last dwarf was born. Their entire raced was cursed with infertility, and now have only a few centuries until the dwarven kingdoms die in silence. Every dwarf death is another step closer to oblivion. Every day, fewer and fewer lights glow in the cities beneath the mountains. Every new construction project is a tomb. Soon, the dwarves will be nothing more than a memory.
>>
>>51250300
READ >>51250319 >>51250287
E
A
D

Greatsword and cast work because you can hold greatsword in one hand when you are not attacking.

You need to carry shield in in one hand to benefit from +2 AC. No "ONLY STRAPPING THE SHIELD TO MY ARM, SO MY HAND IS FREE! LOL I AM SO CLEVER!!" in 5e.
>>
>>51250369
Man, Children of Men was a great movie.
>>
>>51250287
Yeah, most DMs don't care much about the VSM rules for spellcasting unless the material component has a cost, or you're in a zone of silence, or tied to a chair, or something. It's really just pointless minutia otherwise.
>>
>>51250409
> DM that let caster goes free on the rule, but restrict martial on both rule and "muh" common sense

Those are the worst kind of DM.
>>
>>51250369
Dwarves aren't infertile or anything.
They just made peace with the demon empire and several dozen succubus opened shop.
Frankly we'd complain, but it's better this way for everyone.
>>
File: class_of_heroes_2_art_11.jpg (98KB, 800x730px) Image search: [Google]
class_of_heroes_2_art_11.jpg
98KB, 800x730px
>>51248098
>How do you do dwarves in your world?
They come in three flavors: Original, Slav, and Fluffy
>>
>>51250469
get out.
>>
>>51250319
>A focus can't be used for materials that get consumed

That got me thinking when this would actually come up. Are there any spells that have a no cost material that gets consumed?
>>
>>51250460
I never said that casters and martial classes should be treated differently
>>
File: disc wizard.jpg (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
disc wizard.jpg
56KB, 640x480px
>>51250469
>online games
Don't ask me how I know.
>>
Stupid question: Does a person who failed their saving throw against being charmed by a vampire and gives themselves over to be bit willingly get another saving throw when the vampire bites them?
>Each time the vampire or the vampire's companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Does biting qualify for this?
>>
>>51250319
I really don't understand how the rules for casting a spell were the only things that were left a clusterfuck when everything else was simplified so nicely in this edition.
>>
>>51250769
I'd say so, after the bite of course
>>
>>51250396
It really was.
>>
>>51250769
Of course.
>>
>>51250839
>>51250862
Okay, I just didn't want to think I was the only one who thought that seemed like an obvious second chance.
>>
File: Kenny.png (333KB, 782x750px) Image search: [Google]
Kenny.png
333KB, 782x750px
Will you look down on me for wanting to play a character like kenpachi?

Haven't played much of 5e, any tips for building him? just lots of str/con?
>>
File: front cover.png (5MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
front cover.png
5MB, 2550x3300px
Welp just saw that Tomachan is getting updated in the new splatbook. There goes the work I've been putting in over the last week on a 5E conversion.

I even made a front cover oh well
pic related
>>
>>51249262
Blade Singer. Wizard Arcane Tradition for Elf Wizard combining Swordplay and the arcane...sometimes.

Sword Coast Adventurers Guide for the reference. The previous poster assumed your posted stat array was done in order, in which case by din of great con, dex, and int you would be a great fit for mastery of the blade song.
>>
File: lightclerics.jpg (654KB, 3072x2044px) Image search: [Google]
lightclerics.jpg
654KB, 3072x2044px
>>51249506
Any cleric that gets prof in heavy armor can front line. Spirit guardians + spirit weapon + dodge is amazing for tanking, which can be hard to do properly in 5e.

Life cleric can still deal good damage and is amazing at heals. Tempest cleric can front line and blow people up with lightning and thunder damage. Light cleric can do the same but with fire damage, and is particularly good at frontlining and setting everything on fire. Their warding flare allows them to still give enemies disadvantage against them even when they use their action to fireball or expend their channel divinity to explode in holy awesomeness. Pic related.
>>
>>51250920
What matters isn't what random people on the internet think of you, what matters is whether or not your dm is alright with anime characters.
>>
>>51249655
Id be willing to give it a shot, but my group is smack in the middle of a big campaign, and I have no clue when the next time lll be making a character will be.
>>
>>51250776
A few shit-sprinkles made it through. I hate the weapon attack and attacking with a weapon and weapon attacks with no weapon crappie that the monk has to put up with
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53KB, 1336x748px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53KB, 1336x748px
>>51250958
No, you've made a mistake, I mean, I can't be a wizard. I mean I'm just Harry. Just Harry.
>>
>>51250920
Only if you take the knight background and get a retainer who is as annoying as she is cute
>>
>>51251044
Also let's not forget the distinction between ranged weapons and making ranged attacks with melee weapons.
>>
Anyone have some advice to spice up enemies for my players? They're involved in a war right now and it's getting a little stale throwing slews of scouts, spies, knights, and veterans at them
>>
>>51251097
Put a time limit on them to get to the enemy capital to save Lord Important from execution, or execute Emperor Douche in a rare public appearance, or whatever hook to make them stop fighting the war directly.

Then throw in typical fantasy shit trolling the roads in foreignville while you emphasize either way too many guards to fight, or none at all to ignore conflict.
>>
>>51251097
Give them special abilities of your own without making them too overpowered. For instance, occasionaly I will make my players fighting groups of knights, and I will make their leader capable of inspiring the others with a shout, raising their AC or Attack Bonus depending on the tactics they're using.
Also the element of surprise can really change the tide in the enemy's favor. Traps, too.
>>
>>51248098
So is it just me or does Primeval Guardian Ranger become effectively immortal at level 7? Whenever you enter the Guardian form you regain 14 HP and there's no limit on how many times you can do that.
>>
>>51251097
Enemy army has war beasts that could consist of any low-int monster.
They made a deal with some hobgoblins/orcs/whatever, or maybe something more substantial like a dragon.
Evil king is willing to summon armies of undead via an unspeakably evil ritual.

None of these are super interesting in their own right, but if variety is what you want...
>>
>>51251217
They changed it later on in the day, it's once per short rest now. So it's a solid once per rest HP boost instead of infinite healing.
>>
File: Dark-Souls-3-Catacombs-04.jpg (473KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-3-Catacombs-04.jpg
473KB, 1920x1080px
>>51251097
Orc ball.

It's a giant ball made of orc corpses that rolls around trying to eat shit. Similar to pic related but bigger and made of orcs.
>>
>>51251317
Don't forget the goblin wheels.
>>
What is best way to not be targeted in combat
>>
>>51251379
Stealth
>>
Whay book has the most magical items? Where can I find the costs of magical items? Doea giyhub have costs?
>>
>>51251388
I m a fighter I want to hit things and let them hit my tank but they won't stop surrounding me.
>>
>>51251379
Use cover, try to position your party members between you and whatever you're fighting. What class are you? What evasion do you have to work with?
>>
>>51251379
Figuring out how the DM picks targets, and putting yourself last on that list.
>>
>>51251423
You're a melee fighter, you are the tank?
>>
>>51251390
>Whay book has the most magical items?
DMG
>Where can I find the costs of magical items?
Magic items aren't typically for sale in 5e
>Doea giyhub have costs?
Dunno
>>
>>51251426
>>51251431
>>51251439
I have Pali tank who I thought we supposed to take most hits but whenever I enter combat with my Fighter they all rush me. I have no shield cause I 2 weapon fight. Does DM just have it out for me?
>>
>>51250981
Speaking of Spirit Guardians - because the enemy is damaged "when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn, or starts its turn there", your best use of the spell is to cast it and move towards them- they enter the area which moves with you, and take damage, and then again at the start of their turn.
Right?
>>
>>51251484
You're a melee fighter but have a 2-handed sword instead of a shield. They're probably going to want to kill you first because fuck huge sword seems more dangerous than the guy with a 1-handed weapon and shield.

Assuming you're the Paladin, wait until you get full plate before going full holy avenger smiting shit, or start carrying a shield + 1-handed weapon to swap back and forth between you going full tank and going full dps.
>>
>>51251484
Maybe. If you're being hit the wizard isn't, and the Paladin can wake you up with just 1 hit point from Lay on Hands.
>>
>>51251499
No I carry Rapier and hand cross bow 2 weapons sorry English is not first language.
>>
>>51251484
This isn't a video game bro. There is no "tank". Actually smart enemy are more likely to ignore you if you put on more armor and shield.
>>
>>51251493
That's the way I've played it with two separate groups now. I see no reason why it wouldn't work like that.
>>
>>51251503
No wizard in party. Only spell caster is Cleric and Pally.
>>
>>51251521
So what do I do re roll new char?
>>
>>51251493
No. Read april 2016 rule answer.
>>
>>51251538
No. Why would you?
>>
>>51251538
I got kicked out of a game for this.
>>
>>51251075
we had dual PCs for a long running 4e game, made yachiru a warlord, Kenny was a fokken beast

not sure if we played it right, but I made him a slayer with a reaping weapon, so when he dropped an enemy to 0 he got to shift his full speed and make another attack, had some other stuff for bonus melee basic attacks as well

Combine that with half orc and pretty min maxxed damage I could technically slaughter a town in a single round

Then the DM threw me into lava and eventually brought him back as an enemy under mind controller, good times, I miss him.
>>
>>51251484
>>51251510
>>51251526
Unless every single enemy is going for you every single time, being hit a lot is all in a days work for front-liners.

>>51251538
Your character sounds fine the way it is. Even if you were at ranged you'd still be getting hit. It's all just part of the game.
>>
>>51251538
You're not going to not get hit, no matter what you're running.
>>
>>51251493
>>51251525
Enjoy being wrong. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

> Our design intent for such spells is this: a creature enters the area of effect when the creature passes into it. Creating the area of effect on the creature or moving it onto the creature doesn’t count. If the creature is still in the area at the start of its turn, it is subjected to the area’s effect.
>>
>>51251545
I keep dying in combat cause enemies hit me first so I am not very helpful.
>>51251552
Ok I should stay then I just want to be more of a help in combat.
>>
>>51251075
>>51251558
Warlord Pixie as well, so she could ride kenny the whole time
>>
Spear/Sheild with Spear Master and duelist is not bad for a pally right?
>>
>>51251510
Oh, you are a Fighter (presumably DEX-based) with the Rapier in one hand, hand crossbow in the other. My guess is your AC is probably around a 15 or 16, versus your Paladin who probably has an AC of 17 or 18.

Yeah, those extra couple points of AC at low levels is really huge. I recommend you pick up a shield and use it until your AC gets higher thanks to maxing DEX with your ability score increases.

Note, if you are using the Duelist Fighting Style, you still get the +2 bonus to damage, because a Shield is not a Weapon, and therefore does not "cancel" the bonus it gives. It is both RAW and RAI, there's a sage post about it somewhere that I'm sure others could try and find.
>>
>>51251525
Just checking I was on the money, thanks
My Cleric has had 3rd level spells for a couple of sessions but I haven't used it yet because I hadn't considered it properly
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
I've got a question for you guys:

11th level party is on a quest to hunt an aboleth. They stroll up to their lair with a baby (don't ask how they got it), which they plan to "offer" to the creature in order to draw it out from hiding. The paladin holds high the baby, like some fucked-up version of the Lion King, and pledges his loyalty to the aboleth.

Yes, it was a bad plan, especially when the creature they're trying to trick is a telepath.

The aboleth manages to sneak up on them somehow, and it enslaves the baby. Since the baby has a WIS of 10 and isn't technically a a member of the party, it doesn't get the paladin's CHA as a bonus to the Wisdom save, and so it gets enslaved. The baby rolled well, for a baby, but still under the requisite 14.

The baby makes its attack in the surprise round. It attacks the nearest enemy: the armored paladin holding it. The attack is made at -5, so mechanically the only way it can hit the pally is if it rolls a natural 20.

You can guess what happened.

How should I have handled the effects of an 8 pound infant with the mind of a primordial abomination sucker punching a paladin in the face?
>>
>>51251580
You are helpful because they're not gang banging the two people that can wake people up in combat. Also you can just avoid combat if you're afraid.
>>
>>51251510
You can't reload hand crossbow while holding a rapier.
>>
>>51251576
They really need to learn how to write rules, huh?
>>
>>51251600
Dropping a #2 on his face with such force that the Paladin takes 1d2 bludgeoning damage, and has to make a CON save to not spend his next turn barfing up vomit and baby feces.

And personally, I think the Paladin's aura would have affected the baby, because it's all allied creatures, which I would have ruled it being as the party wasn't going to actually offer the baby up to be sacrificed.
>>
File: hat-tip-calvin-coolidge.png (85KB, 536x382px) Image search: [Google]
hat-tip-calvin-coolidge.png
85KB, 536x382px
>>51251576
>>51251544
Woops my bad. Thanks for the info pals.

>>51251589
Apparently I was mistaken. One of the devs specified that it doesn't work like that, only when they enter on their turn or start there. Still a great spell imo though.
>>
>>51251565
>>51251569
Enemies just swarm me though and do not hit pally at all till I am down even if I am standing behind him using my crossbow.
>>51251588
Should I be saving for a better armor then I am using the highest tier light at this point.
>>51251607
Cross bow feat let's be ignore loading
>>51251602
I guess not very fun though
>>
>>51251643
If you're getting chased down you can dash, and see if they waste their turns following you.
>>
>>51251643
Crossbow expert ignore loading quality but did nothing to ammunition quality.

All loading quality does is preventing you from making extra attack wih crossbow.

You still need a free hand to draw ammunition and put them on weapon as per ammunition quality.
>>
>>51251680
>>51251643
In case you need source. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/

> Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack.” The sentence tells us two important things. First, you’re assumed to be drawing—that is, extracting with your hand—the ammunition from a container. Second, the act of drawing the ammunition is included in the attack and therefore doesn’t require its own action and doesn’t use up your free interaction with an object on your turn

Obviously, you can choose not to tell your DM about this. But hat make you a terrible person.
>>
>>51251600
>baby doesn't get paladin's aura of protection 'because it's not a part of their party!'

Paladins have every right to defend babies. Are you saying Paladins have no influence over babies because they can't become party members?

You should have handled it as paladin fucking the aboleth over because fucking paladins.
>>
>>51251680
Oh well my DM seemed to have let it slide I guess.
>>
>>51251643
Here's the thing with you being a DEX fighter: it takes a while to get rolling. You don't really want to wear heavy armor because you don't get a bonus to AC, and wearing medium armor is only a partial benefit because the bonus maxes out at a +2 from your Dexterity.

As things stand (assuming you are indeed a DEX fighter with Studded Leather Armor), I would recommend you use Scale Mail and pick up a shield to get your AC to 18 (if you go with the hand crossbow it goes to a 16 AC), and when your DEX becomes an 18 or 20 (which will happen at level 4 and 6 respectively, assuming 16 DEX at level 1), switch over to Studded Leather Armor and just swap back and forth between using a shield and using the hand crossbow when it's appropriate (your AC will then be 16-17 with the crossbow, 18-19 with the shield).
>>
>>51251699
>not reloading the same way Neo does in the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEuZgK669zY
>>
>>51251707
Or maybe he didn't know about it. This mark you as a terrible person though.
>>
>>51251727
Ohhh that actually helps a fair bit I will try this I am level 3 right now just took battle-master. Thank you I should swap to the shield when I get swarm!!
>>
>>51251747
> using wizard as an example for fighter
>>
Would the distant strike feature from the new Horzon Walker kit work for a bow ranger? I'm thinking of using it to jump away from enemies who get too close.
>>
>>51251510
>>51251680
>>51251643
Yeah, honestly, rapier+hand crossbow is perfectly fine as long as they're not doing some weird defensive duellist abuse, and even then that's one extra feat they need when they'd likely want sharpshooter+crossbow mastery anyway.

As long as it's not shield+handcrossbow I'd allow it as a DM.

>>51251379
Avoid putting yourself in a position where enemies will attack you
Have others have things like sentinel or make themselves more prominent
Don't have your DM be a metagaming asshole who makes all 4 int creatuers go straight for the mage
>>
>>51248098
Mountain Dwarves are rarely ever seen, particularly on the Wild West continent that makes up the setting for all of the campaigns I run in the world. Most of them are back in their hidden fortress-cities guarding the vaults of the Titans whom they imprisoned when they rebelled against the giants in the dawn of the world. They are also currently in a good deal of political tension with an ever-expanding magocratic empire on their doorstep, understandable wary of future aggression.

Hill Dwarves, however, are far more common. Their common role in the Old World was as intermediaries between mountain dwarf smiths and the outside world, and they are consummate merchants. They've staked several claims around the West, particularly along the Great Stony Mountains, as well as numerous courier services and stagecoach lines. Affable people, quick to laugh and always welcome addition at a feast or celebration, they do quite well. Their angry drunks are simply our angry drunks with twice the liquor in 'em, however, and you can usually tell how respectable and civil a dwarf is by whether or not his beard is waxed.
>>
File: giphy (6).gif (200KB, 499x273px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (6).gif
200KB, 499x273px
What's the most Halloweeny character build?
>>
>>51251774
The bonus action thingy for 1d6 force damage has 30 feet limit right?
>>
File: 1466298843563.jpg (75KB, 380x572px) Image search: [Google]
1466298843563.jpg
75KB, 380x572px
>>51251784
Yes not going to abuse DD feat seems kind of lame. Also Pally friend is getting Sentinel at level 4 so hopefully problems go away by then.
Thank you all for the help this place is very nice and I love you all
>>
>>51251774
No reason why it shouldn't

>>51251809
Designating the creature has a 30 foot range, but RAW, the effects don't seem to expire if you move away.
>>
>>51251798
Alchemist artificer with a giant mech spider and alcm. fire/acid fluffed as pumpkin bombs is the first thing that comes to my head.
>>
File: undying.png (707KB, 611x821px) Image search: [Google]
undying.png
707KB, 611x821px
So is warlock's whole deal that they're a blend between sorcerers and clerics and that they slowly turn into whatever their patron is?
>>
>>51251757
Wouldn't your intend play style be better with rogue? Hitting an enemy and then use bonus action to disengage away to safety. I guess fighter with mobile feat could do the same thing.
>>
>>51251852
I really love battle master I played rogue before so want to try something new.
>>
>>51251849
Basically. You get variations on the flavor like unwilling warlocks of their patron.
>>
>>51251849
I don't think they ever turn into whatever their patron is. Otherwise, what happen to undying light? Do I turn into the source of all life? And Star seeker? Do I turn into a god of knowledge?

Also don't forget that some fiend patron is only CR 13, you could kill or imprison them if you want.
>>
>>51251849
Mechanically, they're ranged fighters with utility who sometimes decide to throw their powers out the window to pick up a sword and get themselves killed in melee instead.

Fluff-wise, they're pretty much a cleric-sorcerer, yes. Calling upon a greater being's power but using more sorcerer-style techniques to control it, or simply having a patron give it to you is very much like a dragon sorcerer having a dragon patron.
>>
>When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.

What's stopping me from also getting expertise in these skills later? Is this as poorly-worded as it seems?
>>
>>51251867
Battle Master is fine, gives you a bit of control over the flow of battle and tweaking it to your group's advantage.

Because of the inherent strength in increasing DEX for you (getting more AC, more damage, and higher hit chance) you just need to suck it up for the first few levels, and once you get to level 6 and get DEX to 20, you can then swap over to your light armor and lose very little in the process.

And playing smarter with your character is good too (using hand crossbow at start of the fight, switching to sword and board when in actual melee with creatures) means you increase your odds of staying alive and dealing more damage.

Arguably being a DEX fighter is one of the tankiest classes to be; assuming magical gear your AC can be really insane, and even without it rocking a 19 AC (with a shield) is plenty strong for the early to mid tier levels. It's only when you get to level 14+ that it starts to fade off, only because monsters start getting like a +13 to hit with their attacks.
>>
>>51251904
>What's stopping me from also getting expertise in these skills later?
The rules.
>>
>>51251948
We are prob going to end at around 7th level my DM said so I think I should be good thank you for advice
>>
>>51251904
Eh? With the way it is written, it wouldn't stack with expertise.

Both ability let you double your proficiency bonus. Not adding in more number or change the proficiency bonus itself.
>>
>>51251904
Reading the fucking manual you cocksleeve
>>
Guys I have a question in regards to the magic tech, Why with the invitation of airship, hasnt there been similar invention on the ground like trains

I ask this because I want to make a campaign based on an a newly built rail road where the players would travel around in kinda acting like cops
>>
I currently don't have performance as a proficiency. What roleplay justification can I give the GM to give me it?
>>
>>51251980
I want to be a cocksleeve.
>>
>>51251952
Good catch.

>>51251974
That doesn't preclude doubling twice, which can apply elsewhere. However, as mentioned, proficiency bonus can only be doubled once, which I didn't realize when I asked.

>>51251980
Fuck you, cumbucket
>>
>>51252003
Sounds like you just invented it.

It's your world man, do whatever you like
>>
>>51252006
A 1 level dip in bard.

Whatever kind of major quest you do and get skilled feat as reward.
>>
>>51252006
Spending 250 days, 1 gold a day to learn it.
>>
>>51252006
None. If you want proficiency with Performance you'll need to multiclass or see if your DM does training with a skill proficiency in downtime
>>
>>51252003
Airships, if they function suitably efficiently, would not require the extensive building of rails, might not require as much fuel (less resistance to overcome if they can fuel-efficiently defy gravity) and it can simply go straight to where it pleases. Also I guess monsters might fuck up railways. Airships are thus also better for invading another country.

The main reasons you'd have a train on the other hand:
>Heavy loads weigh down a airship too much, used as cargo transport
>Airships are not deemed safe
>Monsters threaten skyways, but not railways
>If airships can't defy gravity efficiently, trains are much more fuel efficient
>War trains are much better for culling monster populations than war airships.. Probably. But not good for nation on nation war.
>Cheaper to manufacture trains or something

Trains might also simply be an outdated but still used method of transport.
>>
>>51252048
No multiclassing. Just something I can do to get it as a bonus. Maybe a quest? Downtime training?
>>
File: 200.png (95KB, 200x258px) Image search: [Google]
200.png
95KB, 200x258px
>>51252003
Because trains are too technically inclined, and adding magic to the mix would cause the exploitation of nature (technology) to not work properly after having nature be altered (magic), most likely leading to the train derailing.
>>
>>51252042
>That doesn't preclude doubling twice, which can apply elsewhere
That actually rarely comes up. I know of carry weight, and is that it?
>>
>>51252099
You can only get tool proficiency with downtime training.

Quest reward is your only choice. Your DM could give you a feat or proficiency in place of magic item.
>>
>>51252143
>wow gee you found a magic item I specifically conveniently tailored for you but you decided to turn it into proficiency somehow

I'm sure downtime can justify it if everybody in the party gets a small downtime bonus.

I'm just salty at >everybody gets a conveniently tailored magical item that's like a +1 weapon or something boring
>>
>>51252126
Arcanum was the best thing to happen to steampunk and people don't even know about it.
>>
>>51252188
Just trade Excalibur to the theatre troupe in exchange for some time as an actor to justify Performance proficiency. It's organic.
>>
>>51252003
That's entirely on you. In my setting, trains predate airships by a few decades. They're recently managed to get trains without the need for the valuable magical fuel they were originally constructed on, requiring a fair bit of additional work to carry a vastly larger quantity of mundane fuel.

The airship's only a few years old, having suffered a pretty major set-back when the first one was savaged by a thunderbird with all hands lost.

If you want trains, make trains. It's your setting, after all.
>>
>>51252188
>I'm sure downtime can justify it
It can. The PHB mentions tool proficiency but it also mentions learning a language. The DMG also mentions weapons proficiency as a possible downtime activity (for learning how to use the option of firearms if they're included in the campaign).

Really though, the bit about
>Your DM might allow additional training options
in the PHB is the ticket here. A reasonable DM should have no problem letting a player go to clown college for a couple weeks.
>>
When you let players roll stats do give them buffers like choosing to rearrange the spread or allowing a 7th roll to replace any roll they didnt like?
>>
>>51252292
I just use point buy.
>>
>>51252318
No chance to get the sweet 18 or 20
>>
>>51252292
i'll be DMing for my first time here shortly and while the people who want to play are being a pain in the ass about making their characters, but I had them roll the stats and then choose what goes where on their sheet.
>>
File: K_A_T_~1.jpg (185KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
K_A_T_~1.jpg
185KB, 700x700px
I've been thinking of giving all of my martial class player a free martial adapt feel once they hit level 7.
Yay or nay?
>>
>>51252292
>I want variation!
Roll in order. You don't need buffers. Let players die sometimes so they can reroll characters.
Rolling stats really isn't for 5e I feel and it's worse if you let people assign stats because there's three 'god-stats' and three 'dump-if-not-needed-stats'. Letting people assign just lets them dump stats.

>I want a bit of variation and fairness!
Just do point buy.

Giving a 7th roll would just make characters even more bloated and well-rounded.

If there's any one thing you do, don't force players to choose class before you roll, because some classes like monks can get fucked over.
>>
>>51252292
4d6 drop 1, if they don't have 2 or more stats at 15, roll a d6 and make that stat 15 (I.E., 1 is strength, 2 is dex, etc). Do this until they have 2 stats at 15 or above.
>>
>>51252404
Yay, shit should be a basic feature like the Fighting Style.
>>
>>51251849
no they're just losers with a magic dart gun lmao
>>
>>51252346
>Starting with 18 or 20 in a stat
But why? You want a fighter who does 170% more damage than a regular fighter of his level because he has 20 strength instead of 16?

Just do
>you start with standard array
>roll 1d4-1 : If you get 1, you get fighter's level 6 feature for free. If you roll 2, you get fighter's level 6 and 10 features for free. If you roll 3, you get fighter's level 6, 10 and 14 features for free. If you get none, tough luck faggot play a fighter and waste your levels trying to get back the feature random rolls at level 1 cucked you out of.
>>
File: cool wizard.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
cool wizard.gif
144KB, 126x126px
>>51252525
this desu desu fampai, losers dont even have conjure demon spells.
there is a reason it's not Warlocks of the Coast, lmao
>>
File: 1359406280816.png (39KB, 800x950px) Image search: [Google]
1359406280816.png
39KB, 800x950px
>>51252404
>free martial adapt feel
>>
>>51252404
I do not know what this is. Could someone explain?
>>
>>51252346
I've played in a game that straight up gave everyone insane stats including a free 18. It was actually pretty satisfying picking up a feat at level 4 with no downsides.
>>
>>51252404
>barbarians
yes
>monks
yes
>fighters
Yes, though it seems like it might encourage battlemasters a bit. Hmm.. Or maybe not.
>rogues
Yes, but nothing that gives them advantage or gives them a reaction attack.
>Rangers
Maybe.
>Paladins
No.
>bard/wizard/cleric/druid
No.
>Sorcerers, warlocks
Maybe.

I listed the casters as well just in case.
>>
>>51252404
Give everyone a notecard, and write down the feature they get. If they're a caster write ur a faget
>>
>>51252690

Is there anything that encourages non-battlemaster fighters other than idiocy or a desire for spellcasting?
>>
>>51252681
Why not just give everybody a free feat instead of causing stupid stat bloat?

Why not just go
>lol everybody gets 20 in all stats

Why not just make Paladins and barbarogues even more broken?
>>
>>51252731
Because it's just one game in the group, and it leads to a different kind of fun.

No one has so far been horrified at this stupid stat bloat you talk about.
>>
>>51252723
Some of the UA kits are pretty neat, but a lot of them are basically gimped fighters anyway.
>>
>>51252749
*Battlemasters
>>
I'm letting all my players take a feat a 1, 5, and 10 in addition to whatever they might take at ASI levels.
>>
>>51252748
If I wanted Fun, rolling in order with none of the stat bloat and people potentially having a shit stat or two is objectively the most Fun.
>>
>>51252826
You get negative stats and neutral stats in the array too.

But some people don't want high stats. They just want to have higher stats than other players.
>>
>>51252837
If they want higher stats than the other players they can play point buy, 15/15/15/8/8/8, pick hafl-elf and then use all their ASIs on stats.
>>
>>51252862
But how can I get that sick 20?!?!!

P.S. I only want a 20 if you get a 14 in your highest stat.
>>
>>51248098
>How do you do dwarves in your world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
>>
>>51252821
You're a bad DM.
>>
>>51252878
By putting your ASIs into that stat until you get that 20?

Somebody is sure to spend all their ASIs on feats.
>>
>>51251849
When it comes to shit like sorcerers that bloodline has to start somewhere, yeah?

I tend to think of Warlocks as a source of that bloodline, in a way other than "Your great-great-great-grandpappy fucked an X"
>>
What's the stupidest shit your DM has ever pulled? Mine believes so heavily in the alignment system and the concept of black and white morality that when my warlock (who started out evil and underwent a FORCED alignment change because of holy magic) CONTEMPLATED killing someone to summon a useful demon, he took 10 points of necrotic damage. For thinking about it. I despair at how retarded that decision was.
>>
File: 1343374553025.jpg (50KB, 244x220px) Image search: [Google]
1343374553025.jpg
50KB, 244x220px
>>51252885
Why... Why you cad!
>>
>>51252951
>not taking lethal damage for every naughty thought you have
Do you even born again?
>>
>>51252951
Honestly don't have a lot. The worst thing would be being attacked by some stupid monsters that clearly have a death wish and then finding they have a magic item worth so much you could retire into a nice villa at the seaside for the rest of your life.
>>
>>51252821
You sound like pretty fun GM, good job.
>>
>>51252821
I'd say to limit them somewhat in what those feats can be, but then again..
Only barbarians and fighter tend to have to need more than one compulsory feat for a build.

Casters don't really need any, and Paladins only need PAM Which limits them to being variant human all the time unless you want something sub-optimal.

So.. Yeah, it's fine, even if you allow it to be stuff like GWM.
>>
>>51252821
I mean it seems like most builds only really want like 2 feats, tops. There are some you could always stand to take like lucky or tough, but this just seems sort of unnecessary.
>>
>>51253087
>>51252821
Oh, actually, after reading other anon's post I'd remove lucky and tough and resilient.

The feats that are 'universally great'.

Otherwise all the casters who don't need feats will just get stuff like tough and end up being just as tough as everybody else.
>>
>>51253120
Thankfully for some of them you can impose some kind of stat requirement or something.

Personally I house rule that feats can be outside of ASIs but you specifically have to train in them. Although I've never figured out how to work with stuff like Lucky for being 'trained in'
>>
File: 43551_dio_holy_diver.jpg (3MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
43551_dio_holy_diver.jpg
3MB, 1680x1050px
What are some ways a paladin could gain their powers without a relation to an order, or an organized church?
>>
>>51253159
You don't need a god, you don't need an organization. You need a vow.
>>
>>51253159
VENGEANCE
>>
>>51253159
A solemn vow made to themselves in a time of crisis
>>
>>51253159
Same as it works for Clerics- There's an adherence to an 'ideal' that grants the power.

They essentially function the same way, down to meditation and oath, you just don't have to have some established in the setting.
>>
Group I'm in needs a scout/jack-of-all-trades type of character for Storm King's Thunder. I was initially planning on playing a wizard, but oh well.

I have decided that I'd run the option of playing a bugbear from Volo's by the DM, see if he approves it. Never really played a monstrous race in the 14 years I've had of roleplaying, figured I'd give it a go.

Is this a terrible idea?
Thoughts?
Tips?
I'm going in blind here, boys. Was thinking of making it a rogue since I've played a fuckton of rogues.
>>
>>51253145
Makes as little sense as a character trading in an ASI to get lucky anyway.
>>
>>51253215
I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it before but-

Lucky training should just be gambling. Li,e obsessive gambling. Plus it adds a level of discouragement of picking it up just because it's so strong, if they don't feel like risking their wealth.
>>
File: daft punk.jpg (395KB, 1602x1169px) Image search: [Google]
daft punk.jpg
395KB, 1602x1169px
>>51253145
>Although I've never figured out how to work with stuff like Lucky for being 'trained in'
You've never stayed up all night 'til the sun?
You've never stayed up all night to get some?
You've never stayed up all night for good fun?
You've never stayed up all night to get lucky?
>>
>>51253247
>You gain 1 point of Exhaustion
>>
Planning on rolling a character based around Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade.

Which Rogue archetype would work best?
>>
>>51253247
With a high enough charisma score it's called getting statistically likely
>>
>>51253270
Swashbuckler.
>>
>>51253177
>>51253184
Thanks you guys.
I completely blanked on that, and started to lose faith in the concept I had for my character
>>
>>51253279
I was thinking that, but Swashbuckler benefits two-weapon fighting which cannot be used with the cantrips.
>>
So I wanted to make a wizard/cleric multiclass, but the need for both int and wis as well as the extremely slow spell progression was turning me off. Then I found out about the theurgy wizard, but that archetype seems pretty overpowered. I'm conflicted guys, what should I do?
>>
>>51253328
It can with war caster, and that feat works very well with booming blade.
>>
>>51253328
Can't just use two spell focus daggers you make special?
>>
>>51253332
Arcana cleric?
>>
>>51253270
Are you getting it through human variant? Assassin for extra dice on your crit.
>>
>>51253311
If you're losing faith before the characters even made you're gonna have a hard time playing a paladin
>>
>>51253339
>>51253342
It's not about the focus.

Two weapon fighting can only be done when you take the attack action, not when you cast a cantrip.
>>
>>51253270
Arcane trickster if you don't want to take feats or multiclass. Also, arcane trickster allows you to get advantage by way of handiness, which is really useful considering you only make one attack.
Swashbuckler if you want to fuck around with booming blade and then disengaging.

Assassin allows potential crit booming blade (Though only the first instance of damage is doubled, the secondary damage isn't, I believe. Then again, GFB's secondary might) .. But more importantly gives you advantage quite often on the first round. Remember, advantage is important if you only have one attack.

AT if you're not variant human.
Swashbuckler if you're variant human.
>>
>>51253380
Or an easy time, if you fall and play a Treachery Paladin or something.
>>
>>51253382
I'd try eldritch knight with warcaster/mage slayer then. That way you can straight murder mages and get your extra attacks on top of your cantrips.
>>
>>51248098
>How do you do dwarves in your world
Dwarves were right hand to the High Elf Empire providing it with precious metals and gems for wealth and rare ore for weapons and armor.
as such they were afforded the ability to stretch just as wide as the Empire. there wasn't a continent without at least one great Dwarven Hold, City, or Fortress interred in a mountain or hill or under ground
though just like the Elven Empire this all changed with the coming of the Titans. The onslaught of the titans exhausted and shattered the Empire and with it their support of the Dwarves. on top of that the fire titan, Salamandara, chased the Dwarves from their ancestral cities.
after the Titans were defeated and the dust settled the Dwarves holy men and leaders sought to lead the displaced Dwarves to prosper again and did so in different ways. This lead to what are now known as the dwarven sub races.
The Mountain Dwarves make a living carving out riches and ores from mountains, carving out homes and lodging within them. only more sociablw than shield dwarves they tend to be short with other races but also tend to have amazing material to trade.
Hill Dwarves burrow under ground forming great mines that eventually become homes with their top side entrances being closely guarded Fortresses where their warriors are trained. they are freindly enough but most wont let a stranger any where past a fortress and closely guard their homes and mines
Gold Dwarves make their homes in ocean side cliffs and on beach dunes they plunder both the surrounding area and the sea for riches and materials. they tend to be the most inviting dwarves and are one of the few races to have ties to the Tritons due to their talent at foraging the sea and coast
and finally Sheild Dwarves dedicate their lives to retaking and settling the old Dawrven holds. They tend to be the most Xenophobic of the dwarves and frequently get into territory disputes with other dwarves who come close to breaching the old cities
>>
>>51253352
That archetype seems less like a proper blend of the two classes, at least until they get their level 17 ability. Perhaps I'm asking for too much.
>>
>>51253332
Wizard and clerics are both full casters. Your spell progression wouldn't change at all.
>>
>>51253411
Bard is a lot like a Cleric/Wizard, very obviously so with Magical Secrets at level 6.
>>
>>51252247
>>51252126
>>51252084
>>51252044

I ask this because I am slightly planning this on a victorian version of the forgotten realm ( so maybe few hundred years or less ahead of the current Forgotten Realm.) So seeing shit like airship in SKT make me question why noone has tried to make a better mode of transport for the common man
>>
>>51253385
Not sure what you mean by "handiness".
>>
>>51253404
oh shit Duergar
Duergar are almost exclusively found in the underdark. after being plucked from the eatch ad enslaved by Mindflayer and exposed to the underdarks strange energies they were transformed into darker more magical beings. now long freed from their captors Duergar tend to come in two flavors curt smiths that trade in the udnerdarks unique exports, and slavers that carve out their own neich in the underdarks complex system of crime organizations and cults
>>
How do you feel when the GM makes you the chosen one when you never intended?
>>
>>51253332

Play a theurgy wizard, dingus.
>>
>>51253417
Well you get the same slots, but if you went half and half, the actual levels of spells you have access to are cut in half. I feel like that would probably become more painful the higher level you are, but I've never really tried this.
>>51253429
But muh flavor. I want to be a theologian, not a singer.
>>
>>51253454
Arcane tricksters can use their mage hand to grant themselves advantage, which is something you really want on a rapier-using rogue.
>>
>>51253468
Fuck it, if I'm the chosen one I clearly can't be wrong. I must drink heavily, the chosen one has commanded it.
>>
>>51253468
I abuse my power.

That will teach him.
>>
>>51253473
How does that work?
>Tap tap
>[enemy turns around] Yes?
>>
>>51253468
Last time I was the chosen one I'd accumulated so many magic items that I couldn't mathematically miss the final boss.
>>
>>51253493
You have a telekinetic ten pounds of force. Can you really not think of how that might be used to distract an enemy in combat?
>>
>>51253449
But, sir, you won't likely find an ogre man servant serving you cocktails with velvet cushions on an experimental zeppelin. It's hard to find good service anymore with the orcs on strike.
>>
>>51253522
Consistently during a boss fight? No. If it were me I'd ignore the cupped hand massaging my ass cheek until the guy stabbing me was dead.
>>
>>51253547
What if the hand was wrapped around your face?
>>
>>51253571
Then I would assume it was the guy stabbing me's doing.
>>
>>51253582
The guy that you now cannot see.
>>
>>51253493
I honestly think it's a stupid feature too, but..
>>
>>51253571
Mage hand can't attack or anything that'd require a similar roll. Unless the boss just let the hand chill on his face that's a no go.
>>
>>51253598
By that logic minor illusion is a free blind/deafen.
I mean RAW it works but I'm pretty sure if I were DM I'd have to roll some save for that.
>>
>>51252878
DM: "Sure you can get 20. But I'm not allowing you to use feat optional rule if you already have 20 in your stats at the start"
>>
>>51253547
Then his owl fly over to your face and spam HELP ACTION before flying 50ft away in the air.
>>
>>51253617
>feat
>optional rule
Next you'll say the fighter class is an optional rule.
>>
>>51253380
I got caught on what an unaffiliated holy symbol would be, and on the repentance rules referencing "your order or clerics of your god".
That made me forget that 5E paladins can get their powers from an oath made in desperation. Now my heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
>>
>>51253625
I should just start strapping dynamite to my owl and using him as a free encounter power.
>>
>>51253493
Telekinetically pulling on your balls
or
Pushing against your weapon/shield, preventing you from parrying quickly
or
Pushing on your joints to trip you up
or
or
>>
>>51253614
>>51253616
It specifically says you have advantage on attack rolls.
The target being unable to see also grants this.
>>
>>51253493
Works for Adam Jensen.
>>
So 5e, in a recent game my party has come a cross some slave driving goblins having people work a mine while feeding up to three Worgs and a pack of wolves. Taking care of all of them, we backed the goblin boss into a room with a number of goblin children and a very obvious pregnant female. I'm playing a Paladin, level 2, that's going to become one of Conquest. He's currently Neutral, following Tempus. Finally after killing the kids as they rushed us with daggers and tried to defend their leader it's just the boss who pleaded for his life and the female we knocked out as she was far too mad over what was done.

What the FUCK do we do with these things? I feel bad enough we killed kids.
>>
>>51253635
>>51253617

>inb4 'But it says optional rule in the PHB!'

Just because it's in the PHB doesn't mean it's correct.

Without feats, the fighter class simply does not function properly. This is a fact. Fighters get a lot of extra ASIs, only need one or two stats and gain the most benefit out of feats due to the fact they make so many attacks (Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master). They also need things like sentinel if they wish to help the team out by tanking.

The fighter is balanced around the fighter getting feats.

If you take away feats, you make the fighter possibly the worst class in the entire game.
>>
>>51253658
I'd definitely rule that needs to be an attack action since you're rolling to hit a moving target.

>>51253671
That's what happens after mage hand does its impossible thing. We're discussing 10 pounds of invisible force being pinpoint targeted in the middle of a fight and distracting an enemy.
>>
File: 1473124206549.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473124206549.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
>>51253616
>not a free save vs death
>not shoving your mystic hand through their eye socket
>>
How do you roleplay a naive person who doesnt know about sex? All you know is the boys and girls get together and do something to make babies happen?
>>
>>51253707
Are you playing as a child?
>>
>>51253616
Minor illusion can certainly be free blind if the target doesn't breach the illusion.
>>
>>51253707
Roleplay a non mammalian race?
>>
>>51253671
What says you have advantage on attack rolls? Mage hand doesn't, and neither does anything in the Mage Hands Ledgerdmain feature. I have the book open right in front of me right now.
>>
>>51253677
Slaughter them.

A hero's armour is always crimson.

The only alternative is to raise them under your own supervision.

>Kill the mother and steal the baby
>The baby never realises in the future you were the one who killed its parents and that you're not its real parent
>>
>>51253719
Wizard players, always trying to fucking cheat.
>>
>>51253677
turn em in to local authority is probs the most humae option
yo could also leave them where ever with food and a tent or too, leave them to their own devices.
why the fuck did you murder children
>>
File: 1473562759540.jpg (39KB, 387x411px) Image search: [Google]
1473562759540.jpg
39KB, 387x411px
>>51253677
>feeling bad for having saved future human colonies
>>
>>51253719
Minor illusion rules are purposefully vague, but given it's a cantrip I'd say that the illusion couldn't be centered on someone absolutely precisely.

And I say that after exclusively playing illusion wizards for a long time.
>>
>>51253643
If you read the oaths, the only one that really has an order is devotion, ancient has gods, but fae, and vengeance has only yourself to account to.
>>
>>51253695
Considering that the context is the Arcane Trickster feature for giving advantage via mage hand, and that it's relatively high level feature, it can be assumed that they've practiced general "fucking with people with my 10-pound telekinesis" for quite a while.

>>51253727
V e r s a t il e T r i c k s t e r
At 13th level, you gain the ability to distract targets with
your mage hand. As a bonus action on your turn, you can
designate a creature within 5 feet o f the spectral hand
created by the spell. Doing so gives you advantage on
attack rolls against that creature until the end of the turn.

copypasted right from the pdf
>>
>>51253707
What? Of course you've done the fuck. Many a cum was to be had.
Your sexes are of legendary quality.
>>
Is it bad to genocide an entire race of self-confessed evil genocidal lovecraftian monsters?

My DM seems to think it's a bad thing after just getting through an explanation of how they nearly ate the world into extinction.
>>
>>51253707
I dunno about roleplaying it, but my bard seduced another PC with that character type, in the first session I ever played

he just made her generally stupid when it came to stuff like that
>>
>>51253707
Play an autistic Wizard.
>>
>>51253718
Yeah 15 year old raised by monks. Only know how to fight and steal stuff. Always snuck out during religious lessons since theybare boring.
>>
>>51253756
To be more specific, oath of vengeances idol would probably be a memento related to the reason to seek vengeance
>>
>>51253761
Oh 13th level, and a class feature. You should have said. At that point you're near demigod level. I've been arguing that it's not that way out of the box.
>>
File: anna.png (225KB, 505x283px) Image search: [Google]
anna.png
225KB, 505x283px
>>51253707
>>
>>51253695
It lasts one turn. How can you not imagine how a flying hand could distract a target for a few seconds?

>>51253727
Then keep reading.

>>51253740
Get good.
>>
>>51253776
>That's disgusting, you exchange fluids?!
>Do you want ants?
>That's how you get ants!
>>
>>51253789
If you were good you wouldn't have to cheat.
>>
File: smitealltheevil.jpg (282KB, 1066x918px) Image search: [Google]
smitealltheevil.jpg
282KB, 1066x918px
>>51253745
>killing the kids
>as they rushed us with daggers
He didn't murder them, he justifiably self-defensed them.
>>
>>51253685
The MM stats also didn't function with roll stats in mind. The whole game was balance around standard array.
>>
How powerful are the higher-tier battle master maneuvers in relation to 1st level spells?
>>
>>51253817
My character owns an orphanage for kids who want to adventure good and want to learn to do other things good too. They're all armed all the time and we ask that they sleep in their armor, like any good adventurer.
>>
>>51253782
That feature's been the context since the beginning.
>>
>>51253789
You should've brought up that you were using the class feature to do this. Up until now its sounded like you were trying to do this lvl 3 instead of 13.

A lot of people gloss over the high level features because it's not too often games go to that level.
>>
>>51253811
How exactly is it cheating?

Putting a box around a guy so he can't see until he quickly breaches the box.
>>
>>51253826
Nearing psychic intelligence, ala L from death note
>>
>>51253835
I came here to argue game mechanics, not read comment threads.
>>
>>51253825
Pretty much.

The roll stats rules should be purged, but I guess people would be angry if they couldn't justify rolling stats by the PHB, or they needed to teach new players that old DMs would carry over outdated traditions.
>>
>>51253839
It also costs him his action to check against your spell DC, which would probably be around 17 at a respectable level.
>>
>>51253835
No it wasn't, the first person just said arcane trickster is good because you can get adv on your attack rolls. People asked how, person replied mage hand. Argument ensues.
>>
>>51253826
>>51253843
Like, let's say the Shield spell was available as a maneuver, how OP would it be?
>>
>>51253782
>level 13
>near demigod
>can still be murdered by a bunch of kobolds/goblins
Yeah, right.

Level 17 is near demigod level.
>>
>>51253878
But the arcane trickster can obtain advantage using mage hand, as written by class feature.

There may have been confusion about if they meant "how does that work" in the mechanical sense or from a narrative perspective. Miscommunication was the source of the argument? This wouldn't be a problem if we accepted our aboleth overlords
>>
>>51253881
It's pretty op as a level 1 spell, can maneuvers be spammed all day?
>>
>>51253839
"Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it"
"If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature."
Doesn't work fucko.
>>
>>51253881
Not as OP because you need your maneuvers to shit out a trillion damage with GWM+Precision Strike.

You'd still take it, and use it to dodge that one death ray, but still.
>>
>Ancient Fortitude
>At 7th level, you gain the endurance of the ancient forests. Your hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 2 per ranger level when you assume your guardian form. This increase lasts until you leave the form; your hit point maximum then returns to normal, but your current hit points remain the same, unless they must decrease to abide by your hit point maximum.

>have 56/56 hitpoints
>go in treeform as a bonus action
>get to 70/70 hit points
>take 20 damage and go to 50/70
>end treeform as bonus action, go to 50/56 since current hit points remain the same
>back into treeform to 64/70
>back again out of treeform to 56/56

am i reading this wrong or did those idiots at WotC just create the best out of combat regeneration ever that also heals more than your level/round during combat just for good measure?
i understand it's playtesting material, but since they are paid to write literally 3 pages they could at least proofread them once or twice.
>>
>>51253912
>Make the illusion of fog/gas/something insubstantial but dark
>>
>>51253862
I don't see how it's cheating.

I could understand disallowing it if it were overpowered, but it isn't really.
>>
>>51253913
death rays are Dex saves

>>51253909
4/short rest
>>
Goblin poster here, read all your comments, taking them to authorities would be humane thing but I am going to be a paladin of Conquest. Maybe keep them both alive and start working on my goblin army of meatshields? I was shooting for Lawful Neutral though. Only level two as well, don't have much wealth amassed yet to pay for room and board for too many slaves I think.
>>
>>51253912
Hence why I said 'until he breaches the box'.
>>
>>51253922
>Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

They updated the pdf an hour after it dropped to add this line. Check now.
>>
>>51253932
Imagine you're in a 5 man group.
You're fighting a buffed up CR 25 boss.
The sorcerer and wiz in your party are spamming minor illusion on the boss every turn of theirs while the melee beats on him.
He cannot flee because he's blind.
He flails around uselessly because he's blind.
The sorcerer can still cast spells while this is happening, and even after the boss has figured out your trick he still wastes about 3 turns/legendary actions trying to see through the illusion each time.
Your party gets through the deadly encounter with hardly a scratch because of cantrip spam.
>>
>>51253930
Doesn't work. If you touch the illusion you can see through it. Doesn't matter if it's fog or bricks.
>>51253944
How do you put a maximum 5ft square "around a guy" without him breaching it? I guess if he's a halfling and the box has no underside?
>>
>>51253905
I think the miscommunication came from people not knowing it was a 13th level feature. At least it's settled now.
>>
>>51253930
Okay, now it's OP.
>>
>>51253912
>make a box around yourself
>enemy must physically touch it or use an entire action and succeed to see through it.

Of course, this has limitations in that you can't just box around a guy like the other person said, but you can still conjure up a box around yourself and then attack people from inside it as an unseen attacker.
>>
>>51253937
I hit post thinking that no autist would take offense with using a specific spell as a generic phrase due to it's ubiquity, and embodiment of something you want to.
No I didn't.
>>
>>51253978
That actually sounds funny.
>Good luck hitting me, I'm in a solid cube of adamantite!
>>
>>51253979
>want to [avoid]
>>
>>51253978
As DM I'd give them a save when arrows start shooting from the brick wall.
>>
>>51253987
If you were an illusion wizard you could actually animate holes opening up to let the arrows through.
>>
>>51253954
Minor illusion has no saving throw, you can't use legendary resistance on it. If he was flailing around he would almost certainly breach the illusion, ending its effect.
>>51253978
You would need to be careful to never touch the box with anything to make that work.
>>
>>51253987
A save the first time, autopass the second.

Maybe autopass the after the first time if he knows a goddamn thing about wizards.
>>
>>51253987
I'd say they could make an investigation check as a reaction, probably.

>>51254002
Where does it say that somebody else touching it makes YOU able to see through it?

>>51253981
Put a turret on it.
>>
>>51254002
>If he was flailing around he would almost certainly breach the illusion
>it was an illusion of hologram
>>
>>51253957
By putting it vertex down.

>>51253954
I'm not sure of any CR25s that can fit in a 5ft box.
Also, being unable to see only gives you disadvantage. The small creature should
still hit.
>>
>>51254002
Spell DC to see through the illusion, and let's assume it's the dark fog.
>>
How do you make sun soul lvl 17 milestone not suck?
>>
>>51253939
No. Goblins are no good for slavery or sparing. They'll come to despise you, and eventually they'll make their move while you're not looking. Then their children, and their children's children will be taught to hate you as well, and the problem will never end.

The only good goblin is a dead goblin.
>>
>>51253948
it still links their old one for me. weird. might be a cloudflare delay or whatever.
>>
>>51254022
Disadvantage if they're in melee range I'd assume. You could always wail on the blind guy from 15 ft away with ranged weapons.
>>
>warlock prepares an action to cast 'silent image' when the large enemy stops moving
>enemy stops moving
>warlock casts a box around them
>enemy can't move any further to poke at the box, is effectively blind

Fortunately this requires the enemy to use all of their movement, requires the caster's concentration, requires a caster using silent image and finally isn't really useful if an ally is inside of the box with him.
>>
>>51253839
That's a lot less stupid sounding than what I thought you meant, which was "blind an enemy for the duration of minor illusion". Probably a fair use for a cantrip, since it would likely only last a round or so.
>>
>>51253939
You're not some sort of super-nice-guy. It takes a really nice person to decide not to kill a monster, and sometimes they'll only end up hurting themselves.

The survivors will run off and make a new goblin settlement together that hates humans even more for killing the rest of their kind.
>>
Rolled 14, 13, 3, 18, 3, 16 = 67 (6d20)

>>51248930
>>
>>51254042
If the box surrounds this creature, any attacks against it would have disadvantage.
>>
>>51254071
Why would it need to surround the body? The head should be plenty. Hell it's not even MS paint it could silhouette the creature.
>>
>>51254046
Silent Image won't lock them in. If he comes into contact with the illusion, or investigates, he'll get to save. Phantasmal Force is the spell that does what you want.
>>
>>51254054
Apologies for the mix up. There's something about this thread.
>>
>>51254069
How do you even play a character with 3 con?
>>
>>51254092
>>
>>51254092
Die
>>
>>51254079
I would rule that movements while idle would breach and reveal the illusion of the illusion was cast so close to the target.
>>
>>51253979
Yes, no autist woudld. But... I am no autist!
>>
>>51254085
His turn is over though.
>>
>>51254085
He can't come into contact with the illusion. The walls of the illusion are too far for him to reach on his turn without using an action to dash or something.

If he investigates, he uses his action.
>>
>>51254122
It works well flavourwise with the warlock.
>>
>>51254092
Hill Dwarf for -3 con, +1 HP/lvl
-2 HP/lvl
Even with the worst rolls you can hit level 4 as a Wizard with 1 HP, and take Con/Tough.
>>
File: osteria.jpg (219KB, 1273x1024px) Image search: [Google]
osteria.jpg
219KB, 1273x1024px
>>51254139
>rolling max hp
>>
Average HP or roll HP?
>>
>>51254175
The squishy caster classes I go for average, anything higher, roll for it for the chance to get higher, but you'll still have some failsafes
>>
>>51254164
What is this painting trying to convey?
>>
>>51254194
your tism
>>
>>51254122
Once. Next time he knows you're fucking with him and he just walks out.
>>
>>51254212
That's against the rules.
>>
>>51254239
>>51254212
Sorry, what I meant was he can't walk out, he's used all his movement.
>>
>not placing an illusion inside the eyes of the target representing the world as it is but without you leading them to believe that when you stab them for 1d4-1 that you're an invisible stalker
>>
>>51254212
Perhaps the warlock could prepare a reaction to use silent image's action to move the silent image whenever he tries to walk into it.
The warlock could also just cast another silent image because he has it at-will.
>>
>>51254280
Lure enemy into room you've cast programmed illusion into. Any time someone other than you attacks, a box with the loudest-non thunder damage sound materializes around them.
The illusion is faint to you so you get no disadvantage, they all can't use ranged and get disadvantage in melee.
If they see through one, they still need to make the save on new iterations.
>>
File: match_rapist_3575530b[1].jpg (50KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
match_rapist_3575530b[1].jpg
50KB, 620x387px
I'm starting my own campaign next week, I've sketched out most of what I want them to explore (if they wish to), but I've only ever played premade stuff like Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which pretty much railroads them all the way.

Any tips on how to make it feel like literally anything is possible even if they don't follow the hints I give them without pressuring me into improvizing everything?
>>
>>51254377
Don't plan anything. I intentionally didn't do shit with my campaigns until I was sitting at the table waiting for people to show up 30 minutes beforehand.
>>
>>51248896
5d4
>>
File: 1251272509677.jpg (1014KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1251272509677.jpg
1014KB, 1600x1200px
>>51254377

That's not something you can get a hot tip or trick for. That's something you're going to find out when they push past where you're prepared to go; you'll either flounder or flourish when that time comes, and only if you flourish is it the case that literally anything is possible.

Stay frosty.
>>
>>51254385
Do you at least have monsters and shit stat blocked? Or ready?
>>
>>51254447
No. I do a lot of planning before hand though understanding their strengths and weaknesses. Throw the wizard a bone by making a swarm to fireball, support the 1200 range Warlock with a dragon dropping boulders on them out of normal range, surprise attack at night when the spell slots are low for the martials.
>>
>>51254465
You're better than any DM I've played with so far then. GJ Anon.
>>
>>51254377
I wouldn't overdo the freedom thing.

Just sitting players in the middle of a city and saying 'Okay, you can go anywhere' might lead to nothing much happening.

Give them leads to different ideas, but give them different ideas, and make sure that it actually seems tempting or interesting, not just 'Okay, you can go grind monsters in the forest'.

You need to get the players invested in the world before you set them free, to be honest.

Personally I made a massive table of every monster that might come up near the players, easily at the ready should I need to spawn them at any point.
Not preparing at all is failing to prepare which is preparing to fail. Make sure you know all the local interesting events going on right now, have access to any monster statblocks you might need (For every person that might possibly be attacked, even the questgiver) and make sure you think each thing through so monsters aren't just randomly rolled up encounters that have no place in the world (Why is a lone goblin attacking an entire party in the middle of nowhere?)

The very last resort you want is to have to make up a monster on the spot and bullshit its HP and abilities up on the spot, but you should be prepared to be able to do that.

Oh, and, be careful about pacing. It's very easy for 'free' games to be incredibly imbalanced towards casters as the party can long rest far too often. Consider making long rests longer if needed (7 days, 8 hour short rest).
>>
New thread when, fuckers?
>>
>>51254508
>>51254377
Oh, yeah, I said it was a last resort but don't feel it is too much. Don't be afraid to make something up on the spot if you think it's not going to cause a load of bullshit (Say, the players wander somewhere completely unexpected and you expect there to be something there to stop them, such as wraiths in a haunted graveyard, but you don't have any monsters of that kind, so you either look it up in the monster manual or cook something up fast).

And when I said 'don't overdo the freedom' I mean that absolute freedom doesn't always feel like freedom. If you give too much freedom, players may end up overwhelmed with their choices.
But also make choices meaningful. 'You can go left or right at this crossroads' means nothing - you could literally have them show up the same place and nobody would know. If the players know that right leads to a graveyard and left leads to a castle, then they actually have a choice rather than 'I dunno pick randomly'
>>
>>51254516
Tomorrow
>>
>>51254508
That long rest thing would be me saying "fuck that" to any and all casters. And it would also make hybrid casters absolutely worthless.
>>
>>51254558
I don't see why people keep thinking that.

You might want to adjust something like mage armour, but let me tell you, there has only been one 5e campaign I have ever been a part of where you have more than maybe two encounters in a day if you're lucky, if not one.

Extending the long rests doesn't nerf casters. It stops you from accidentally buffing them when you make encounters have more realistic timing than 'every day you wake up and fight five different enemies at convenient time intervals and if you try to take a rest in the middle well bad shit happens!'

If you're doing mostly dungeon crawling, you don't need to concern yourself with that and only need to concern yourself with players hopping in and out of the dungeon for long rests - you'll want regular 8 hour long rest rules for this, but you want to do things like having a fee for entering the dungeon.
>>
File: warlord.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
warlord.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I posted this the last thread, made some change. I think I fucked up one of the capstones, but I'd like to have an opinion about it nonetheless.
>>
>>51254620
It's less of a balance thing and more of a "oh great now on top of keeping track of all these spells and spell slots, I now how to ration them, if I'm a healer it's the difference between everyone dying, and keep track of the exact day it is. Fucking great."
>>
> people who ask for a rest after every encounter

Why?
>>
>>51254650
>oh, great, now I can't spam my spells because there's only one encounter every day and I have to actually KEEP TRACK OF SPELLS
Oh, wow, so it's like 5e was supposed to be?
>>
>>51254672
Because nothing's stopping them from taking a rest.

Why wouldn't you rest if you could rest and you have plenty of time?

In a dungeon, you're time pressured. If the evil villain is cooking up a plot right now, you're time pressured. If you can't rest because monsters are everywhere, you can't rest.

It's the DM's duty to
A) Make sure there are the right number of encounters between every short and long rest
B) Make sure there is a reason you can't rest that isn't just 'because we're reckless heroes who just keep marching on and on and on!'
>>
>>51254673
Keeping track of spells is a pain in the ass.
Keeping track of the specific amount of time since you last cast a spell is also a pain in the ass.
Saying "well you're an adventurer but once after every few fights you become a useless peasant for a week and if you do anything you can't go on the next adventure" is also a pain in the ass.

It's not game breaking, it's just more trouble than I'd consider worth playing casters.
>>
>>51254672
same people who save their game every 2 minutes on xbox

if you can do it and the game is hard, people are going to do it
>>
>>51254693
If you can't handle casting your highest level spell every turn of every combat, play something such as an artificer or rogue or fighter or monk.

5e is designed so that you have one or two encounters before a short rest, and eventually a long rest after two or three or four or five encounters.

When you do a 'free world' styled campaign with less dungeon crawling and more travelling and open world exploration, you are likely to get less encounters unless wandering monsters nail your ass at every corner. That's why you make rests take longer.

You aren't nerfing or buffing anything really, you're only making sure you get the right number of encounters on average between every short and long rest.
>>
>>51254694
That aside, it's very in-character to not want to get yourself killed and be at the best of your abilities at the start of every encounter.

Characters don't just respawn if they die because they didn't take any rests.
>>
>>51254725
Okay the thing that bothers me about it is that you're making casters, RP wise, way more vulnerable a lot longer. In the normal game, you'd have to catch a caster after a major fight to have a huge advantage over him. In this setup, your parties casters are going to be at half power more often than not.

It also sort of makes the characters seem too weak. Like okay the wild magic sorc just dropped a fireball on the party, everyone pack up and go home we gotta rest for a week now.
>>
>>51254688
Oh the villain is definitely cooking up something in the plot. The DM smirk every time someone ask for a rest.
>>
>>51254693
>>51254725

This is one thing I much prefer in Fantasycraft; rather than using in-game measurements, things are either by combat, by session or by "adventure," meaning campaign. Much more intuitive.
>>
>>51254759
not when it's a "HOT BLOOD SHOUNEN WHO FIGHT FOR JUSTICE".
>>
>>51254764

It really just brings casters closer to the mundane level of martials.
>>
>>51254783
The barbarian can survive terminal velocity if he's angry enough. There's nothing mundane about martials.
>>
>>51254769
Seems a bit odd if the villain makes significant progress over a one hole period, though. I kind of actually doubt he's keeping track of time and rather just saying 'I'll punish you later if you keep spamming rests'. Which is fair enough, but I still kind of doubt sometimes that a villain really would be 5 days from destroying the whole world without anybody knowing it.

>>51254764
Players have to conserve resources, then. Keep healing supplies so they can go on if they really need to. They won't rest over a little issue as that will waste far too much time, but they will rest over a big issue if they all get fireballed because like hell they're going on like that. And they will be punished for wasting a week on resting, but it'll be worth not dying.

In many stories the wizards are very conservative about using magic. They're stronger than anyone, but they also understand they have to hold back their powers and conserve it for a great time of need.
If you used all your power, then that's your fault. You shouldn't need any more spell slots than someone in a regular 8 hour rest campaign. Being vulnerable for 3 days is only as bad as being vulnerable for 5 hours, because you encounter encounters less frequently and thus the wizard is in less danger. But you do have more time to hunt down a wizard, yes... Over a vast continent.
>>
>>51254781
I'm afraid that does happen sometimes.

>>51254773
True. This is why I like artificers, because their abilities are '1/minute' or simply at will, though they still have a few small resoureces to keep track of (third casting, heal potions only once a long rest per person, hitdice, etc).
>>
>>51254827
>>51254764
Oh, and, I'd love a sorcerer who has a great number of at-will powers but less strength for playes who don't want to have to hold themselves back and keep track of resources and who want to be always active, but the nearest thing you have for that right now is a warlock. If you want that, you'd have to play a warlock.
>>
>>51254827
Mayne the villian is a wizard and he create 2 more simulacrums of himself for each passing day?
>>
>>51249464
>Cleric isn't a melee guy
>Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians and Divine Strike exists.
>>
>>51254827
I guess it just comes down to whether or not you want a game heavily about conserving resources. I find that really boring and annoying myself. But with a free form campaign, where you can push and pull as the need arises, I can the appeal.
>>
>>51254857
Not melee, not melee, and melee.
>>
>>51251379
My DM just stopped targeting my Bladesinger because of the high AC.
>>
>>51254764
>balance isn't important as long as I'm winning
>the spellcasting system is too hard and makes me not want to play casters
Then Don't Play them
>>
>>51254853
Then you'd better get ready to pull something equally as bullshit like nuclear druid out on him, because simulacrum is world-breaking if you have a way of gathering enough money and you're not running off of sage advice's 'each simulacrum has half as much HP'.

>>51254867
All campaigns are supposed to be like this, though. Honestly all I'm doing is getting a regular campaign structure and stretching it out so that events take place over perhaps a weak instead of all on one day.
And as said there are classes for people who aren't so into managing their resources.

I'm mostly just mad because out of maybe five games only one of them has actually been paced properly, in all the others the world is much more natural and you don't fight several fights every day, but that also means wizards couldn't run out of spell slots if they tried.

Full spellcasters aren't balanced towards being able to cast spells every single turn - A wizard's 8d6 area effect fireball half damage on save easily outdoes a GWM fighter's inaccurate but possible two or three 2d6+13 with a slight chance of 4d6 instead of 2d6.
>>
>>51254925
Actually, make that up to 5 possible hits if you consider action surge, though they each have -5 to hit and deal no damage if they do hit and must be made at melee range and deal physical damage. And it can only be used once a long (or short, bu if you only have one encounter a day who has short rests?) rest whereas the wizard will fireball twice.
Oh, why not a wizard5/fighter2 for double fireball giggles?

.. I don't think I need to be explaining that wizard has more burst damage than a fighter, though.
>>
>>51254918
I said this, given this situation I would never want to play a caster because I play to be a hero, not a vending machine for emergencies. Pay attention.

>>51254925
I get it's just reflavoring the system, I'm saying that rp and world wise I think that makes casters kind of a joke and wouldn't want to play them.
>>
>>51254925
Can't the Wizard Simulacrum A make a simulacrum of the original Wizard?

That way Simulacrum A and B and C will all have 50% of the original.
>>
>>51254873
>Spiritual Weapon
60 feet first, then 20 feet movement a round. If you fire it at range enemies will just run away from it and you wasted a spell slot. Its best used in close-quarters where its harder to run away from it.

>Spirit Guardians
You literally have to be within 15 feet of the enemy for it to proc.
>>
>>51255002
Crappy range is still range. If you can hide behind the barbarian it's range.
>>
>>51255001
That's how it probably works by RAW, but sage advice pretty much said, 'Yes, but the second simulacrum will have half the HP of the one before it' or something like that.
It doesn't really make sense, but it kind of also does make sense that it'd balance like that.

>>51254969
I'll admit I haven't seen much of lord of the rings sue me but from what I have seen the wizards in that hardly cast spells at all, yet when they do cast spells they make a world of difference that completely subverts what could easily translate into total party wipes or worse in D&D.
Are you saying they're jokes?

The problem is you have in your mind that wizards are people who can non-stop spew magic everywhere,float around and generally be obnoxious. And that's alright, because there are works like Harry Potter where magic still seems to be quite spammable.
Yet, that's not how D&D does it. If wizards were like that, martials would either have to be absolutely superhuman or wizards would have to have limited power (fireballs are now tiny).
>>
>>51255035
Martials are super human. And wizards do spam spells willy nilly. That's exactly how d&d has done it for 3 editions.
>>
>>51255050
Wizards can only spam cantrips.

Real world athletes can do better athletic accomplishments than a fighter by RAW, until you start factoring in stuff like the fighter being able to do these things in heavy armour while adventuring and your DM possibly saying you can do more with a good athletics roll. Action surge does break the boundaries a little bit, though.

In 5e, martials are not .superheroic, only heroic. Wizards would be superheroic if they could spam their spells, but they can't.
>>
>>51255077
Oh, I guess wizards can spam a level 1 and level 2 spell of your choice once you get signature spell.. At level 18 or whatever the heck it is.
>>
>>51255077
Any martial can survive dynamite to the face.
Any martial can survive falling off a skyscraper.
Any wizard can teleport you into a realm that houses only fire.
>>
Hi, I'm autistic but my normie friends want to play this and since I'm the autistic one I get to be DM.

I read OP's guides, but I've never played so things like combat are still a bit vague. I want to try some games before I play with them. Is the Dungeons & Dragons online any good? Or am I better off just winging it. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51255035
Gandalf isn't a wizard, he's basically an angel/paladin.
>>
>>51255098
Wizards can't do at will.

If you don't consider HP to be 'meat points', a martial can't technically survive a dynamite blast in the same conditions a regular person couldn't. For example, if an enemy comes up and slits a martial's exposed throat, does they instantly kill them or does it deal 2d4+DEXMOD damage after rolling with advantage against AC 10?
HP is a bad example to use because going by HP a martial could have their head cut off and still survive, except with a condition like 'Doesn't have a fucking head'.
>>
>>51255116
The others there like the brown wizard don't really look to do a lot of magic either, though. Certainly not like a wizard in harry potter or something does.
>>
New thread pls
>>
>>51253449
Just make a fucking train? There's nothing stopping you. All this bullshit about how airships are easier to make or more efficient than trains is just that: B U L L S H I T

You know what was invented first? The fucking train, 1804. In 1812 they were already finding commercial success, transporting people and things. And that's even if we ignore all the train-like transportation we had before full-scale iron-and-steel steam locomotives were made. We had tracked wagons and minecart railways CENTURIES prior to this.

The "airship" was little more than a wicker basket under a balloon and didn't show up until 1852 and could barely even steer. It took years and years before anyone managed to make one go anywhere they wanted and required all sorts of shit like propellers and electric batteries and giant boilers and STILL only carried 1-2 people at a snail's pace.

The idea that there's going to be some military with masses of enslaved elementals flying giant boats laden with troops is ridiculous. Trains that don't even need tracks because they magically levitate a foot off the ground are more practical and more badass.
>>
>>51253159
In 5E? They just say a promise to themselves. Paladins are fucking easy now.
>>
>>51255127
All those wizards are angels Anon, they just call themselves wizards to fuck with the mortals.

>>51255122
I think we're straying from what we were talking about, I was just saying that extending the rest periods makes finger wavers feel more like a commodity for burst damage brought along than a real adventurer. A "fuck we pulled too many, someone use the wizard" rather than someone who can use their powers to solve problems.
>>
>>51253677
Make them the responsibility of the party Dwarf.
Leave him in charge of them while the rest of the party leaves on a short errand.
Believe him when you return and he's sitting on top of goblin corpses and says they tried to murder him and he had no choice and conveniently overlook the fact that they're still bound and appear to have been in the process of running away when they were tomahawked in the back
>>
Does anyone think DM's can metagame? And i'm not talking about them crafting the game i'm talking about them abusing meta knowledge to fuck you over in the game. Because that happened to me and i'm not sure whether to be pissed or not.
>>
>>51255077
>In 5e, martials are not .superheroic, only heroic
heh
maybe at your shitty table, kid
mine knows how to have fun
>>
>>51255226
>>51255226
>>51255226
NEW THREAD
>>51255226
>>51255226
>>51255226
>>
>>51253211
Play a halfling diviner. Scout with your magic.
Thread posts: 505
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.