[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - 5th Edition D&D General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 36

File: 1475595750502.jpg (709KB, 1365x1024px)
1475595750502.jpg
709KB, 1365x1024px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread: >>51248098

Thread Question: What's the best setting for a survival focused game?
>>
1st for treant rangers
>>
>>51255226
>What's the best setting for a survival focused game?
Dark Sun
>>
File: 1484197669203.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1484197669203.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>51255241
>Dark Sun
5e update never
>>
>>51255241
/thread
>>
>>51255013
Are you implaying that a Hobgoblin battlemaster / ranger using whip from 25 feet away is a ranged character?
>>
>>51255262
Bugbear.
>>
>>51255262
Is it bad that I was thinking of making a bugbear rogue for an upcoming Storm King's Thunder game simply because having a 15 foot range is a lot better than getting destroyed in close combat?
>>
Which giant lair in skt is the best?

I might choose for my players, cause you know, illusion of choice means I only need to read one chapter instead of 5 and only use 1.
>>
What classes and mechanics from the other UAs have people been using?
>>
>>51255325

So far we have used

>>Mariner fighting style
>>Gourmand feat because flavor is awesome
>>Revised Ranger because people want to actually play the class and were smart enough to say "Yeah this is a bit lacking"
>>Artificer/Alchemist is no my main character and im having an absolute blast playing him

Its a little easier to remember the more recent ones and I cant recall if Goliath started in the UA or not
>>
>>51255325
Didn't use classes, but the revenant race from the gothic one is pretty fun. Makes for a good short, sweet character story. Once your mission is accomplished you die. No need to come up with "where are they now" shit once the campaign is over.
>>
>>51255292
Why not just use a bow or crossbow?
>>
>>51255164
Well, I think it really brings out a weakness in wizards that should really be there.

While wizards are capable of much greater feats than a martial, they have to be careful with when they choose to use their power. They can use their power to solve problems, but they have to hold back on using their power to solve everyday problems unless they use a low level spell/cantrip.

>>51255215
That's how it is by standard, and you can turn it up to SUPER SHOUNEN BOY SHOOTS LASERBEAMS AND WUXIA VERSUS SUPERMAN AND BATMAN if you wish, but 5e keeps it much more moderate by standard so not everybody has to suffer that shit.

>>51255206
Yes, they can.
>every single goat somehow knows that if they don't kill your party wizard when they start concentrating on a spell the world will perish
>100 goats appear every time the wizard attempts to cast a spell
>>
>>51255353
What servant did you take/do you plan to take?
>>
>>51255373
Already made a hand crossbow wielding rogue in an earlier campaign.
Variant human with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.

Also wanted to play a monstrous race so might aswell take advantage of the extra 5 feet that bugbears get.
>>
>>51255383

Giant Vulture and im packing a saddle of the Cavalier and the mounted combat feat to keep him alive. Its also thematically fitting the character [Plague Doctor]
>>
>>51255317
>illusion of choice
When illusion of choice applies, it rarely is actually a choice and an enjoyable choice.

>you hit a crossroad. Go left or right?
>'I go left!'
>you end up at a graveyard
>'I go right!"
>you end up at a graveyard
All you did is waste the player's time. The players had no idea which route went where and so they can only argue over nothing until they reach a meaningless decision.

Heck, if you even said that one leads to the right side of a graveyard where all the nobles are and one leads to the left side of a graveyard where there's the groundskeeper's shed, they actually have a choice because they can then think 'Okay, do we want to go in on the left of the graveyard because we want to get into a building straight away, or do we want to start from the right?'
>>
>>51255206
>>51255377

It depends on the situation, if it was like this anon says, an animal intelligence thinking tactically, your DM is a shit. But anything with like 8 or better Int will at least know the guy wearing common clothes or leather will be easier to hit than the guy in full plate
>>
File: warlord.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
warlord.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Opinions?
>>
What is the marraigable age in Faerun?
>>
>>51255353
Mariner fighting style?
>>
>>51255317
They're all good except for hill giant's hold

Depends on your party. If they're a bunch of murderhobos go frost. For people who are really into RP go cloud. If they're a bunch of sneaky-types Fire is good. Stone is a mix of murderhobos and sneakystuff

But just an FYI despite all your careful planning the players will probably do something you didn't plan on. What I do is pick the one you feel is most likely to be chosen by your players and memorize that chapter. Then glaze over the others because they're all pretty neat
>>
>>51255415
If there's dust on the fairy, she's free to marry.
>>
How effective are modern world bullets, tanks, missiles and other modern world armaments against the monsters from the MM and Volo's?
>>
>>51255422

>>Waterbone adventures
>>If not in heavy armor or wearing a shield gain a swim speed and +1 to AC
>>
>>51255415
With the disparity in maturity rates of all the races I doubt they have one singular age of consent.
>>
>>51255453
Thanks dude.
>>
>>51255455
>Hit on elf at bar
>Her friends slap you, she's only 60 you freak
>>
File: snowflame.jpg (59KB, 363x513px) Image search: [Google]
snowflame.jpg
59KB, 363x513px
Is level 1 dip into warlock going to hurt me much as a bard?
>>
File: abstract kind of hell.jpg (61KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
abstract kind of hell.jpg
61KB, 854x859px
>>51255411
>>51255377
Lemme explain the situation
>DM is one of those "killing my players is winning" DM's.
>Yes, I know I can leave, but I've got nothing else to do, he's my IRL friend, i've talked to him about it, and besides those things, there are no other groups I can join because of social fuckery
>Back to the point, we're in a town in a campaign
>Earlier in the campaign, Asmodeus, my patron, me being a fiend pact warlock, gave me a gift
>I can, in exchange for a soul, summon demons/devils, sort of a teleportation spell through two dimensions
>Can only do this at certain locations of power, the spell has a very exacting set of requirements in order to be utilised
>There's one of these locations of power in the middle of a town, in the sandbox in the local playpark
>i'm going to summon one of the more knowledgeable creatures out of hell to help us out with what we need to do for the next stage of our quest, we're stuck and the DM is either not giving us hints or we're not picking them up
>No animals in this town, it's in the middle of a desert
>Soul should reasonably be from one of the town's inhabitants.
>We're not awful, we decide it should be someone who's going to hell anyway
>Wait on the gallows
>Ask to buy one of the prisoners
>Try and convince the guard to sell to us
>"No, you're a member of a demon cult, guards, arrest them"
>We have literally given away nothing to these people, we dress like aristocracy, we haven't used any magic, we've been in town two days
>The DM is looking smug through this entire bit
>We complain and ask him to explain himself
>Doesn't
>He knew my plan but nobody in the game did.
>Bastard
>>
>>51255450
>A solar's not even that strong.
>The solar would probably get wrecked by two missiles, though.
How true is this?
>>
>>51255441
Are you talking about pubic hair?
>>
Well, <NEWEST_UNEARTHED_ARCANA> sucks. How do you fix it?
>>
>>51255493
No I'm talking about fairies.
Jeez.
>>
The tavern owners daughter is 13 . Shes cute and want to know if shes marraigable
>>
>>51255438
Fire or Stone looks good for them then, at least if these characters survive or the player's styles maintain through all their characters, they haven't even left Nightstone yet so I have time to read them all to be honest. Its not like they will get to that point in 1 session
>>
/pfg/ get out.
>>
>>51255487
That kinda sounds like shit Anon. I can only assume the guards are paladins or something for that to make sense. Either way he's punishing you for trying to follow the story.

I'd not play.
>>
>>51255450
Either really very effective or not at all base on how mythic you want the game to be.

In principle anything humanoid should die from one or two bullets and no natural creature should be able to survive a missile. Modern tank rounds would blow anything apart with a direct hit, or rather turn them to paste if it's a sabot round, up to and including Tarrasques and godly manifestations (Tiamat, Orcus etc.)

OR, large and magical creatures have that fantasy-film resistance to bullets that lets them chase the heroes around despite taking multiple second-long bursts of automatic fire (looking at you, T-Rex in Peter Jackson's King Kong) and explosives burst harmlessly on their hide so that the only way to fight them off is to take up the sword.

Ultimately, the only answer is depends on the setting.
>>
>>51255531
Isn't tarassque immune to non magical weapons?
>>
>>51255508
Run away with her to the far north. Start a home and family in a new tavern in the snow. Nobody questions your relationships in the North.
>>
>>51255508
Probably not.
>>
File: Paizo does it again.png (20KB, 260x435px) Image search: [Google]
Paizo does it again.png
20KB, 260x435px
>>51255508
>>51255524
I normally wouldn't encourage this, but Pathfinder has the deity just for you, pal!
>>
>>51255531
Don't Orcus and Tiamat have Damage Immunities necrotic, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
>>
>>51255541
At that, nonsilvered bullets can't hurt lycanthropes
>>
>>51255549
>You hear Steve's fucking a penguin?
>It's too cold for me to give a shit.
>>
>>51255557
That's fucking disturbing.
>>
>>51255481
>be 100 year old elf
>too much of an autist to court my own race
>start dating a 20 year old human
>Elf family looks at me with disgust
>Fuck them I know I'm not a pedo
>>
>>51255557
Why me >>51255524, you fuck.
>>
>>51255562
>>51255557

Wasn't there a mask in pathfinder that let you make babies with other races?

What the fuck happened in Pathfinder? Are they all paedos and sheep-fuckers?
>>
File: 1465065172368.jpg (50KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1465065172368.jpg
50KB, 600x480px
>>51255566
>favoured weapon: net
>>
>>51255541
>>51255558
I dunno, a depleted uranium dart travelling several times the speed of sound seems pretty magical to me.

But you do have a point. Ignoring those specific examples then, tanks would at least be effective up to ancient dragons.
>>
>>51255585
>Furs etc join system
>they make content for said system
>system gets reputation for furs etc
>furs etc hear about this, join system
>>
File: Ethan.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Ethan.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>51255487
>hey anon, your a good warlock to Asmodeus, let me give you this cool reward
>but nah you can't use it when it could help you beat me
>>
>>51255531
To make these creatures nigh unkillable, just give them resistance or immunity to nonmagical attacks (this is something that Tiamat, Orcus and their ilk already have).
Tiamat also has Regen 30!! and Discorporation.
>>
>>51255487
I'd say the best thing to do is make sure other players are on your side so you can all discuss the bullshit with the DM.

Even if it continues, you're not alone.
>>
>>51255614
Like ants leaving a pheromone trail... nature is horrifying
>>
>>51255508
Only 13?
That's legal by most medieval standards.
>>
>>51255531
Reminds me of that anime where they give a bunch of elves rpg's and take out an ancient dragon.
With a helicopter since the elves fucked up the blowback.
>>
>>51255487
Explain to your friend that he doesn't have rules like you do.
He's got infinite resources.
Beating you isn't something that's hard to do. And it's not the point.
>>
File: GATEtank.jpg (431KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
GATEtank.jpg
431KB, 1600x1143px
>>51255450
Unless your DM pulls fantasy bullshit on levels I absolutely detest 'This creature can't be harmed at all by anything but silver!' then the tank beats pretty much everything.
>>
What do you guys think of the homebrew herb+alch rules?
>>
>>51255557
so. could you roll a paladin/cleric that is completely devoted to the cause of pedophilia?
>>
>>51255523
I'm going to session 3 Thursday and my players still haven't met harshnag. I prefer to build up the whole "Giants are fucking ruining everything" before revealing the cause
>>
File: Dice.jpg (58KB, 599x594px) Image search: [Google]
Dice.jpg
58KB, 599x594px
What are the dice you like using most?

I think I want some new dice just to spice things up, any good places to order from?
>>
>>51255626
to be honest yeah, offer her dad a dowry, make an offer he can't refuse
>>
>>51255655
Why's that?
>>
File: cixyron.png (23KB, 261x418px)
cixyron.png
23KB, 261x418px
>>51255575
Because I thought your post was aimed at the tavern owners daughter one, so I quoted both.
>>51255585
To be fair and on a more serious note, it's a demonic demigod from a splat book that features very minor deities devouted to very specific kinds of atrocities, wrongdoings and bad aspects of human nature, unlike more general all-encompassing kind of evil deities like Tharizdun, Nerull and so forth. Taxe Cixyron for example, a personification of harmful effects of the industrial revolution like pollution and so on. I think both have rights to exist as antagonists (which they are intended as), and even though some might be considered a bit "edgy", I personally wouldn't be turned off by having to fight with pedocultists and whatnot. If anything, fighting some demon harbringer cult is probably more interesting than having to deal with yet another apocalyptic order.
>>
>>51255679
wouldn't demon harbinger cult sort of fall into apocalyptic cult. i mean, demons tend to have fairly obvious plans for the world, generally related to either destroying or ruling it.
>>
>>51255669
What level did you start at? I started the group at level 1 cause two of the four players are pretty new. I honestly don't expect them to meet Harshnag for at least a month or two of weakly play.
>>
>>51255570
>be 40yo human
>shack up with a halfling gal
>SICKO
>wtf she's twice my age
>>
>>51255696
so, if those societal expectations were in place, would that mean that like, 1st century elves all act like toddlers but in a fully grown elf body?
>>
>>51255695
5. I was taking over as DM after one of the others did LMoP. We were adding s couple players and I'd been prepping for SKT for a while so it made sense. I'm actually enjoying DMIng more than playing.

We ended last session after spending an hour gambling on the Grand Dame in Yartar. I can't wait to see their faces come chapter 9 and 10!
>>
>>51255712
No.
Elves are considered ''adults'' at 100 the same way Spartans were ''adults'' at age 30.
It's a cultural thing.
They are fully mature at age 21.
>>
>>51255626
Heck, the age of consent in the Vatican is 12!
no, really
it comes from the time yonks ago when the Vatican copy-pasted all of Italy's laws, and Italy's AOC way back when was 12 because that's just what you did when half of everyone died before they were 20
>>
So how does mounted combat work?
Is it basically on my turn, the mount also gets an action and a movement action? So I can move the mounts speed, dash the mounts speed then still have my characters action, movement and bonus?
How does it work if the creature has its own initiative?
>>
>>51255726
In Austria it's 13 and below that with parrents approval.
>>
>>51255623
>tfw furries infect your game system and cause a giant fungal growth to burst out of its head and spread its spooge-spores which infect others as well
>>
>>51255486
No.
You use the multiclass spell-slot table and gain an additonal 2 warlock spell slots per short rest as well.
>>
>>51255655
>you get a good shot off on the dragon but then it just lands on the tank
>>
File: nalmungder.png (25KB, 262x455px) Image search: [Google]
nalmungder.png
25KB, 262x455px
>>51255691
Well, depending on the deity their cause wouldn't necessarily be the end of times itself, that would be more of a possible side-effect.
Demonic harbringers aren't really suited for massive cults with a global objective, they're fairly petty and many are based on certain phobias like fear of falling, fear of aging or this one.
>>
>>51255712
>1st century elves all act like toddlers but in a fully grown elf body
All elves act like toddlers, Anon.
>>
>>51255676
It often serves to narrow down possibilities to 'Only the hero can save us now!' which feels.. I just don't like it.

I like the idea of even commoners having a chance, not just the heroes. Even if they're not much, they can at least try to stab an orc with a spear for a 1d6. Even if the commoners are likely to route and end up slaughtered by an aggressive orc onslaught into a millitia of peasntry, I like that they actually have a chance and that a player can drive them to victory if they play right.
I don't like it when it turns into 'Well, okay, they're all just background fodder characters that you're either trying to save or that will buy you time. You go do it all by yourself, because you're a hero'.

So, say, you have a creature that can only be hurt by X. That narrows you down to being able to do nothing but use X. What if somebody wanted to get creative and try using Y? You can barely reason with why it wouldn't hurt them in the first place - Are they immune to non-X attacks because they're enchanted by a god? Because of bullshit genetics? Just because?

I can understand there being some complications tanks might face. How do they beat an ethereal enemy? But you can then see that the army with the tank can develop anti-ethereal methods - Maybe a faraday cage type set-up keeps ethereal beings out. Maybe if you blast them with enough microwave radiation is causes the force animating the ethereal to disperse.

God I hate the 'one man beats an army' shit.
>>
>>51255747
so they would just pull the world down into fearful inconveniences and disgusting crimes?
>>
>>51255745
You don't use multiclass spell slot when multiclass with warlock. Warlock doesn't have spell casting class feature, they have pact magic.
>>
>>51255754
I like the "only the hero can save us now" trait when the hero is fucking dead and the populace dies hopeful. Softens the blow.
>>
>>51255765
So basically they keep their own spell table and gain warlock slots.
Damn that's just asking for abuse.
>>
>>51255746
Granted a lone tank can't beat anything, but a modern army should be able to solve any threats such as undead and the like and finally overcome things unless you start bringing in bullshit god powers.

As for dragons, considering a mounted machinegun will probably do in the realms of several times the damage of an arrow with better accuracy at range and with many more hits per second, a 5e dragon's AC and health will hardly hold out more than a round if it's lucky.
>>
>>51255754
>It can only be harmed by silver
>But hero, only you have a silvered sword.
>Just fucking load up all your good jewelry and tea sets into this canon, we'll be fine.
>>
>>51255747
>Nalmungder
Why does that sound vaguely racist?
>>
>>51255783
Even peasant armies should be able to solve threats like the undead. Skeletons are fucking dumb.

also
>not having bullet-resistant dragonscales
lmao
arrows do damage when they're lucky and well-aimed enough to slip between some gap
the wild spray of your machine gun just makes nice sparks and ricochet noises
>>
>>51255785
>It can only be slain by a virgin
>Hero goes off to stab the lich, red-faced the whole time
>Entire town smirking as he rides back with the head of the lich in tow
>>
>>51255787
It starts with N
rhymes with MAL, which means bad
and contains the word MUNG which is a disgusting sex act
it's pretty much the worst name
>>
>>51255782
???

Bard 5 / Warlock 1 would have the spell slot of Bard 5 (+2 seperate slot from Warlock). It's the same thing as when you multiclass with 0-magic peasant like rogue or fighter.
>>
>>51255720
Oh ok that makes sense, which of the chapter 2 cities did you do?
>>
>>51255797
>bullet resistance but not arrow resistance
Yeah, right. That just sounds like the DM bullshitting you saying 'Oh no, you aquired a game-breaking weapon. Well, all enemies from now on have magical anti-bullet shields, because I said so.'
>>
>>51255815
Triboar for a number of reasons:

>it's centrally located
>the giant attack there was more interesting
>it's near Yartar, which I really wanted to foreshadow because the "rolling investigate to figure out where the coin is from" is dumb and anti-fun
>the plot hooks are interesting
>it fed from LMoP well

Overall it was a good choice. Thought about doing Bryn Shander but it seemed like it was too far out of the way from everything and sort of restricted the players a little more
>>
>>51255801
No one is gonna care hes a virgin. Virginity could be a choice and he can show his manliness and worthiness by other means like slaying a lich.
>>
>>51255720
Enough gambling to feasibly fund Khaspere's plans a significant amount?
>>
Can /pfg/ please go discussion about their sick pervert magical realm in their own thread? We need a space to actually talk about 5e game mechanic here.
>>
>>51255851
>Oh no, you aquired a game-breaking weapon
But Anon, I wouldn't let you acquire anything :^)

You seem upset that your statted machine gun isn't doing 30d20 damage every round, as if everything here has to be balanced for muh realism and versimilitude and not the fun of the game. Maybe you should direct your autism towards complaining about how clearly underpowered the physical capabilities of all characters are compared to their real-world athletic counterparts before you start whinging about the theoretical capabilities of a weapon you'll never get.
>>
>>51255869
oh sorry lemme correct that
>Big damn hero brags about all the pussy he slays all the time
>Goes off to slay a lish
>When he gets back to town they tell him it could only be beaten by a virgin
better?
>>
>>51255871
They actually took the casino for a ride. They played Texas Holdem and the warlock cleaned up. However now when they reboard the barge the guards will watch them a little more closely....and the entire town now believes them to be wealthy nobles
>>
>>51255884
Stop crying.
>>
>>51255892
I'm only answering the question of how an army would do if moved into a campaign.
This isn't about your campaign, unless you decided to include such items.
Then, if you did include such items and you put ridiculous limters on them, it'd only break immersion unless you could explain how they're nothing like real world weapons yet you insisted they are.

The fact that you can aquire these items is part of that concept, it doesnt matter if you can't aquire it in 'your campiagn' because we're assuming here that they're brought in. When you're saying that a peasant with a shortbow can hit the dragon (that is, assuming you're playing fucking 5e at all here) but a heavy gun has as much or more difficulty as the peasant, you're pretty much sabotaging your own campaign here with bullshit.
>>
>>51255927
>a heavy gun has as much or more difficulty as the peasant
obviously you lack proficiency with exotic ranged weapons like machine guns
>>
>>51255950
The peasant doesn't have proficiency with shortbows either because they're not a hunter or somebody who would be trained in it.

Their chances of hitting the dragon are pretty slim, but there's a chance.
>>
>>51255972
there's a simple solution to this problem you know.

Wire them with bombs, tell them to run at the dragon and press the button if they manage to reach him.
>>
>>51255978
Red dragons are immune to bombs.
>>
>>51255978
I don't know, I think it'd be much easier to point a gun at a dragon and just shoot it dead.

It doesn't have enough armour to stop proficient huntsman from shooting it with arrows, it doesn't have enough armour to stop a bullet.
>>
>>51255992
shrapnel bombs.

>>51255996
peasants and bomb ingredients are expendable. guns are not.
>>
>>51255996
>bullets and arrows are the same
negatory chiefarino
>>
The mention of exotic weaponry has gotten me thinking. 5e is my first real edition, so I don't know anything about past editions usage of exotic weapons. What was the draw of exotic weapons as opposed to simply using martial weapons? What kind of mechanical advantage did they bestow that would make their use worthwhile?
>>
>>51256040
They were just better, usually.
>longsword: 1d8 19-20 x2
>katana, bastard sword: 1d10 19-20 x2
>>
>>51256028
Yeah, bullets would penetrate much better

Either way this is pointless, whether or not guns are effective in a magical world is entirely up to the DM and depend on the setting in question.
>>
>>51256028
Yes, they're not the same. If they were the same why would we even be talking about them?

I'd like to see a reason an arrow at a lesser velocity would hit when a bullet would not. Both are bound to the same physical restrictions. They can be deflected, they have pointed tips, they fly through the air, et cetera.

>>51256025
I suppose that's true. Ammo is probably harder to make than gunpowder bombs out there. Though, if the army personnel have a gate through which they have contact with fuel-producing facotires and ammo producing factories and all that, you might as well just shoot the damn thing. Imagine the PR response when America finds out you're using peasant bombs on dragons. They'd nuke you then take over McFantasyLand for its oil. Then nuke all the fantasy creatures too.
>>
>>51255412
There's some good ideas and solid potential here, but you need to consider a few things. Firstly, having two fighting style at level 3 is a bit much and gaining extra ones should be reserved for fighters or for those willing to stunt themselves with multiclassing. Secondly, the "disadvantage on other targets" things with orchestrated strike seems clunky and irritating: if this is going to replace extra attack it may be frustrating if its usefulness is dictated by your allies' position. The first part of superior leading seems redundant (the only time I can think you would have disadvantage would be hex?). Quick volley is a mess, you should likely consider only granting it on surprise considering the theme of that archetype. Finally, while I love the idea of baiting mistake it a) promotes this "player vs DM" mindset I'm not super happy about and b) presents a HUGE advantage by allowing you to completely manipulate an enemy without a save and getting attacks of opportunity to boot. There are some good ideas here you just need to trim some small mistakes.
>>
>>51256054

Just cut and dry like that? I'm assuming there were some with expanded crit range and damage then, if your numbers are any indication.
>>
>>51256059
>shoot a guy in kevlar with a gun
>ow my ribs
>shoot a guy in kevlar with a bow and arrow
>ow my lungsshkkkkhrrr
dragonscales are like kevlar on the microscale level
>>
File: 1335599192020.gif (174KB, 299x240px) Image search: [Google]
1335599192020.gif
174KB, 299x240px
>>51255317
>>51255438
>>51255406
My players went Frost.

They got tpk'd by a mixture of yetis and the arrival of 20 Giants on a warship.
>>
>>51256060
>wanting oil when you can have magic instead
America would take over fantasy land for it's magic, then make magic nukes.
>>
>>51256074
so aim for the chinks in the scales. usually at the joints.
>>
>>51256040
They usually had slightly better stats or some unique gimmick. I don't have much experience with older editions of D&D either, but in Pathfinder which may as well be its cousin some weapons could be wielded with martial weapon proficiency but would work better if you had exotic weapon proficiency in them too (so the bastard sword was a two-handed weapon, unless you had exotic weapon proficiency in it, in which case you could use it in one hand properly).

So I did the bastard thing with the dwarven waraxe, which had the same gimmick, and just got a large version of it. Meant I had to use two hands, and nobody could even wield it as a weapon without proficiency in dwarven waraxes, but it hit like a truck.
>>
>>51256091
>aiming with a machine gun
>>
>>51256096
>not firing in small bursts to improve accuracy
you don't have to hold it till it clicks you know.
>>
>>51256105
A C T I O N
E C O N O M Y
>>
>>51256074
Maybe hit them with a sharp dagger and you can cut through kevlar, sure, but an arrow is a very similar projectile to a bullet except often with a much more limited velocity.
>>
>>51256149
Arrows have more mass than bullets. You don't need to be going as fast to impart the same force. There are arrows with sharp heads as well.
>>
Did and of you have a game where there was a public consummation of the marraige?
>>
>>51256158
I'm not sure any of that will help it go through kevlar, though I don't have the time to research it right now.

Even if you sharpen the arrow or consider momentum.. I'd probably say it has less momentum, but you have to work out if it's that kevlar only works on very light things or if it's, say, slashing that gets through kevlar, or that you can cut kevlar over and over but not with a piercing thing, or.. Whatever.

Someone's probably an internet expert here.
>>
How do I space opera with 5E? Looking to do some Dragonstar / Spelljammer type stuff.

>inb4 don't
>>
>>51256158
the more force you put into kevlar, the more protection you have. it's a bit like punching custard.
>>
Does Ranged Spell Attack stuff proc the additional damage from Hex?
>>
>>51256259
Kevlar is a bunch of threads, not a non-Newtonian fluid. It doesn't do a whole heck of a lot when each individual strand is being CUT.
>>
>>51256266
true. but you're talking about dragon scales, which are a metal. so metal fiber, which won't be cut by metal arrows, won't make a difference.
>>
>>51256276
They're chitin. Chitin formed of tiny little bio-threads!

I have a degree in Comparative Dragon Anatomy. I bet you didn't even know dragons were bred for war by bird-people and they were originally wingless, magic-less groundlizards! it's true, kenku and aarakocra did it basically
>>
>>51256295
alright they're chitin then, but they're still not gonna be cut by an arrow. it'd be like firing an arrow into a rhino horn.
>>
So with the Horizon Walker, how would you go about building him to make him pretty strong? Multiclass with another class? PAM GWM?
>>
Too much discussion of IRL modern weaponry without the caveat of how D&D mechanics dont mesh up with anything logical for comparison

D&D characters get hit by falling meteors Lightning bolts covered in acid and can survive the 20D6 damage from a fall at terminal velocity taking 50-60 or so damage which barely annoys high level characters. The "Its not meat point" argument goes great when I dodge the fall partially apparently

IRL ive seen an old lady survive a mugging with a broken knife embedded in her back without realizing it.Real life is incomparable with D&D because the old lady with no class levels SHOULDNT survive a knife strike at all

The rules for firearms in the DMG also dont make them exceedingly spectacular which would mean the scale isnt overwhelmingly high for bigger and better weapons. No matter what you do though you wont have realism because as mentioned before you either have unrealistic survival rates from depleted uranium rounds or super-weapons that shoot so far past the scale that it outdamages falling Moons
>>
>>51255226
>Scout

Multiclass Shadow monk/Scout Rogue and take the alert feat.
Man my DM will hate me for this.
>>
>>51256390
>The "Its not meat point" argument goes great when I dodge the fall partially apparently

People IRL have survived terminal velocity falls.

To say nothing about high level D&D chars being admittedly way beyond tmortal limits. In a modern game, a level 20 "fighter" would be Ace Rimmer skyboarding down on an alligator while jumping out of an exploding plane and shooting at alt universe Nazis.

>Real life is incomparable with D&D because the old lady with no class levels SHOULDNT survive a knife strike at all

Knife did 1 damage, cause attacker is also an NPC without class levels, and rolled badly. Lady had more than 1 health (which is also easily possible without class levels), or rolled 20 on her death saving throw, or is secretly a half-orc.

HP is an abstraction, but I find it real funny how people bend over backwards to justify being so autistic that they are unable to deal with it.
>>
>>51255325
I'll be playing one of the UA Paladin oaths soon. Otherwise I don't think we've used any UA at our table.
>>
>>51255412
>homebrew
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>51256465
If you invest that deeply for a trick, you can have it.
>>
>>51256570
Dude it's a three level dip for these things:

Reaction to move half movement speed if enemy is withing 5 ft of you which will then be treated as a disengage action.

Basically Expertise in Nature and Survival.

And then there's the other Rogue features you already get by lvl 3.
>>
>>51256541
The real problem with HP is that it's a poor and inconsistent abstraction.

I think they ought to have reworked it, because most people playing the game misunderstand it, so might as well either change into what they Intuit it to be, or overhaul it so it's obvious what it is and isn't, like that homebrew that renamed HP fighting spirit and then added a new HP that actually was meat points.
>>
In D&D 8 in a stat means an average joe right?
>>
>>51255657
On the one hand it needlessly complicates something that can be done quite simply, on the other hand it satisfies my itch for a complex crafting system. I like it, but I probably wouldn't use it
>>
>>51256665
8 is slightly less than average. 10 is average
>>
>>51256665
I thought that was a 10, 8 being slightly less than.
>>
>>51256701
8 in point buy is 0 so I assumed that you are average joe of you had 8 on that stat. 10 is practiced sice you don't get penalties.
>>
File: tekko.jpg (16KB, 443x332px)
tekko.jpg
16KB, 443x332px
So how would you stat these as monk weapons?
>>
>>51256739
daggers
>>
What's /tg/ opinion on artificer unearthed arcana?
>>
Plan on giving my party a summon

It's going to be Yojimbo, a samurai construct that is summoned from an ornate jar. You pay the jar and yojimbo will perform an action on your foes. Action is determined by table and it gets a +1 modifier for each 1000gp (1-5 is do nothing for example)

They will find get it after they encounter a nobleman who is using this jar against them.
>>
File: ponty sillyman.jpg (338KB, 600x668px) Image search: [Google]
ponty sillyman.jpg
338KB, 600x668px
>>51256327
How about you cosplay a real hero instead?
>>
>>51256746
Bland and uninspiring, just like my life.
>>
>>51256630
>The real problem with HP is that it's a poor and inconsistent abstraction.

Every abstraction will be inconsistent. That's part of it being an abstraction. Hell, even simulations are inconsistent most of the time, since you get to the point where you have to abstract, unless you want to track cellular damage. The question is how much are you willing to tolerate. So, what I'm trying to say is...
That's just like, your opinion, man.

>I think they ought to have reworked it,

Or just explain it better, with examples, so even the most retarded can understand, possibly going into the concessions HP makes as well.

>because most people playing the game misunderstand it

Do you have any stats on that? Or are you basing it on the loud and retarded minority on 4chan who whine about HP incessantly?

>like that homebrew that renamed HP fighting spirit and then added a new HP that actually was meat points.

I think one of the d20 Star Wars RPGs actually did this. It's not a bad system, you just need to decide if the added complexity is worth it for the added layer of simulation. 5e designers just decided it wasn't (in big part, probably because of legacy aspects).
>>
>>51256665
8 means being slightly retarded in that area.

Someone with 8 Dex is a klutz but not to a cripling degree.
Someone with 8 Str can't do a single pushup.
Someone with 8 Con gets tired easily.
Someone with 8 Int is a nigger.
Someone with 8 Wus is an autist.
Someone with 8 Cha is all of the above combined.

Dumpstats are bad mmmkay?
>>
>>51255353

I'm about to start a character with Gourmand feat. How is it? I'm really pumped for it.
>>
>>51256739
Shortswords since daggers have the thrown property and i doubt anyone would throw these.
>>
>>51256746
People were hoping for crafting rules that don't suck.
We got a fighter/rogue mix that replaces extra attack/second wind with magic items and sneak attack with explosives/bullets.
>>
With the Horizon Walker's Distant Strike power, how many people can you "nothing personell" a turn?
>>
>>51256911
How many breads have you eaten in your life ?
>>
>>51256818
>Someone with 8 Int is a nigger.
>>
>>51256541

Why did I know a wild autist would appear and nitpick things non-autist know dont matter?
>>
>>51256757
He would be CR 12~

Thinking about adding anima as well
>>
>>51256757
How much money do you tend to give out to your players? 1000gp sounds like a lot of money to use on something that only *might* help.
>>
>>51256746

Heres what we can take away

>>Nice skill monkey which can contribute to a party in a variety of roles
>>Not overwhelming as a damage dealer or support character but can do both pretty well
>>The robot is a power spike being very good when you get it but never scaling and becoming less useful over time
>>Gunsmith is AOE centered but because its at will the damage is so low that its not likely to be terriblly useful
>>Alchemist has smaller AOE but better damage and abilities outside of just damage
>>Capstone is amazing assuming you play that long and find 6 items good enough to attune too
>>
How to start playing?
>>
>>51256818
>Someone with 8 Wis is an autist.
>tfw rolled a 3 and put it in wisdom
>>
I bet some bad stereotypes of Teiflings is that they are sluts since they are decendant of evil. I wonder how many a virgin Tiefling got declined for marraige
>>
>>51257052
Buy a starter set, wrangle up some friends, and fake your way through the adventure in there.
>>
>>51256974
Do you mean the autist nitpicking the perceived inconsistencies in HP, or the autist nitpicking the autist's nitpicking?

Am I an autist for nitpicking you nitpicking his nitpicking about nitpicking?

Trick question, we are all autists here.
>>
>>51257045

The robot honestly annoys me due to the combination of 'Must be large' and 'No scaling'. Large really limits the places you can take it and cuts the number of animals down horribly. I'd have liked the ability to have a mechanical bird of some sort.
>>
>>51257087
The issue isn't that tieflings aren't chaste enough. The issue is that they're literally cursed by the Lord of Hell and contain a trace of literal pure evil in their blood.

Also, when tieflings and non-tieflings reproduce, the results are always tieflings. The curse overrides any influence your own blood might have had on the baby. So when you have a kid with a tiefling it's not even your kid.
>>
>>51257134

Yes
>>
>>51257148
>So when you have a kid with a tiefling it's not even your kid.
Asmodeus is the ultimate bull.
>>
>>51256745
>>51256831
They're not even sharp, though. They're just brass knuckles made of horseshoes. I'd stat them as clubs or maces or something.
>>
What's the new Rogue-Scout-Survivalist trying to say?

>When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.

Isn't that just "You have double proficiency/expertise in Nature and Survival"?
>>
>>51257148
>tiefling is a dominant magic gene
>therefore it isn't your kid
>>
>>51257213
There may be cases where you get to add your proficiency bonus to a check if you're proficient in Survival, but it's technically not a Survival check. You add double your proficiency bonus to those as well.
>>
>>51257213
Yes. You know, the same way it's worded for Knowledge cleric. So it doesn't conflict with Expertise's wording.
>>
>>51257230
Dominant genes don't work that way. It's not just that your genes expressed in the tiefling's child; that child isn't even a carrier for them. Two tieflings who each have a human parent are never going to have a human child. It's tieflings all the way down. When you have a tiefling baby, you're not the daddy; Asmodeus is.
>>
Scout is by far the most boring UA content ever released. Mearls and Crawford usually phone these uas in, but I suspect they were actively trying to create a rogue archetype that no fun loving sentient creature would ever play.

And boy did they succeed.
>>
>>51257213
It's worded like that cause it would conflict with the wording of Expertise otherwise but yeah you pretty much get free expertise in two great skills and also get a feature which lets you move up to half of your movement speed as a reaction.
>>
>>51257282
Hey i love the new scout.
It's an extra mobile rogue with usefull skills.

>Expertise in Nature and Survival
>Free disengage as a reaction
>Boost party initiative as long as they see you so even the spellcasters go before their target
>An extra attack and sneak attack per turn
>>
>>51257213
As worded, if you take expertise in them, you quadruple your proficiency bonus for checks in that skill.

Enjoy your minimum 34 roll on nature checks at level 20.
>>
>>51257282
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with how it worked out. Ranger's had so much stuff, and this is what Rogue gets? Where's my "nothing personnel" skillset?

>>51257315
Jesus. What would you even do with rolls like that?
>>
>>51257312
I'm sorry that you were born without the capacity for fun anon, though maybe that gives you an advantage in this edition.
>>
>>51257255
So your eternally cucked it youbhave a Tiefling waifu?
>>
>>51257312
>extra attack

You're better off multiclassing into ranger and taking the Underdark scout route for that. You get it quicker with more speed perks.
>>
>>51257340
Be a better druid than the druid.

>well actually greenbeard the ancient, that isn't a rose you're holding, but a member of laxation carnalia, a plant famed for its extremely potent contact poisons.
>>
>>51257395
The point is you get an extra SNEAK ATTACK along with it dude.
>>
>>51257394
Kind of. She doesn't mean to cheat on you, it's just that her ancestors made some bad decisions.
>>
>>51255508
Does she want to marry you? Do you have her parents blessing? Do you have a life insurance policy? Then you can probably plan to marry her when you're done saving the world. Say this in-character for greatest effect.

>>51255734
You don't use your movement while you're mounted, unless you're getting off. If the mount has its own initiative while you ride it, it uses yours if it's obedient or you have to wait until it's done it's turn and just attack what you can reach.
>>
SJW classes:

>Paladin
>Are you implying my alignment???
>I am better than you!

>Cleric
>My god's agenda is better than yours
>I understand your feelings, poor inferior being

>Druid & Ranger
>Stop cutting the trees!
>You know, eating meat gives you cancer.
>Vegan diet is the only sustainable diet.

>Sorcerer
>I am a special snowflake because <random external influence>
>Look at me: i can cast spells with no hands!!

>Warlock
>Sucking celestial cock is so passe
>I am special because i follow/fight against my patron's policy.

The only classes that don't defend their "ultimate" truths:

>Barbarian
>HULK SMASH!
>But other than that i'm pretty friendly inside an inn

>Bard
>The ancestor of 4chan
>Born to troll

>Fighta
>How much for this sword?

>Monk
>I wanted to play a manga/anime character

>Rogue
>Hack the matrix of locks
>leave no cookies behind

>Wizard
>I study
>I cast spells
>I need a long rest

Do you still allow SJWs in your game?
>>
>>51256665
>1 in stats means you shouldn't be alive right now
>5 means severely crippled
>10 is average
>15 is Olympian
>20 is superhuman
How I do stats.
8 means you're below average in a noticeable way but not so much that you really drag down everyone around you. An 8 str guy is someone who you don't call on to do heavy lifting but if he's there he can still contribute.
>>
>>51257508
I bet this post seemed like a good idea in your head. Here's a pity (You).
>>
>>51256173
No. Nobody does that, Troy. It is not a thing that's done.
>>
So whats 8 CHA, 8 WIS, and 8 INT like?
>>
>>51257563
Happened in the middle ages when sex sealed the deal in political marraiges
>>
File: 1483622796772.jpg (25KB, 320x405px) Image search: [Google]
1483622796772.jpg
25KB, 320x405px
>light cleric
>sole source of healing in the party since we lost the paladin
>session ends right before we're supposed to fight a dragon, a sorcerer and their friends
>realize later that no one else brought any potions at all
>spent mine healing the barbarian
>the party has no means to help me if eg. a breath attack OHKOs me at full health
>>
>>51257597
You just posted on 4chan, you tell me.
>>
How can Wizards get away with weating this?
>>
>>51255669
My campaign has been playing since November and we still haven't met him.
Meanwhile the other tables in our LGC have finished the whole thing. We're still only god damn level 6

Our DM is new so each session we're lucky to get one thing done. Last one was us spending 3 hours talking to a dwarf blacksmith but the DM didn't know anything about adamantine so instead of traveling to our destination, we just haggled and looked up stuff in the book.
>>
File: inquisitive Niggabee.jpg (46KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive Niggabee.jpg
46KB, 720x480px
>Tfw enjoy Lances
>tfw they are mechanically underwhelming compared to every other weapon with terrible disadvantages when not on a mount
How would one go about making a Lance Knight build without a mount or mounted combatant feat?
>>
>>51257614
Shoulda' put your death ward on, boy.
>>
>>51257618
Mage armor.
>>
>>51257415
Shit, forgot about that. Fair point.

>>51257398
kek
We're bordering on critical "you nat20'd a persuasion roll, the guard believes you when you tell him he's actually a woman" here.
>>
>>51257641
I'm about 300 EXP short of having a 4th-level spell slot.
>>
>>51257640
Use a pike and call it a lance.
>>
>>51257686
Should have grinded some kobolds before taking on the dragon.
>>
>>51256197
Bump
>>
>>51257612
They still would've retreated to their chambers. Maybe someone would've inspected the sheets in the morning if they were real sticklers, but I imagine the couple's word is usually good enough.
>>
>>51257508
>My god's agenda is better than yours
Is this actually a thing in FR? Are there holy wars and such based on beliefs? I know the gods fight and some churches don't get on, but are there any full blown wars?
>>
Thoughts on this item I'm about to give to the wild magic sorcerer of the party?

Ring of MisSpelling
Whenever you cast a spell, you can add, remove, or change one letter of the spell's name, and the effects follow suit (as per the DM's discretion). Useable once per day, yadda yadda.

Can you break it? (10th level sorc)
>>
>>51257745
I guess the Evil gods don't get along well with the others but there are also practical reasons for opposing marauding hordes of orcs or undead or whatever.
>>
>>51257508
...you have strange ideas about how people function. Bless you, child, I hope tomorrow smiles upon your health and wellness.

>>51255325
Our game has had Arcane Archer trotted out, along with the Revised Ranger. We haven't had much time to muck about with the other options yet.
>>
>>51257784
>Child Touch
>Fire Belt
>Day of Frost
>Mage Sand
>Grue Strike
>Color Spay
>Thunderrave
>Shitter

Nigger have you thought this through
>>
>>51257213
>>51257239
So if you took Expertise in Survival at lvl 1, you then quadruple your proficiency in it when you become a Scout?
>>
>>51257315
Christ, read the damn book before you open your mouth, for once.
>>
File: 1447543004006.gif (99KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
1447543004006.gif
99KB, 300x350px
>>51257697
>killing peaceful demihumans
My character isn't a murderer, anon.
>>
>>51257784
> Power sword: kill
>>
>>51257854
No, proficiencies never stack.
>>
>>51257784
>Compelled Duet
>>
>>51257891
Yes, but doubling does.
>>
>>51257933
No, wait, I'm wrong: "If a circum stance
suggests that your proficiency bonus applies m ore than
once to the sam e roll or that it should be multiplied
m ore than once, you nevertheless add it only once,
multiply it only once, and halve it only once."
>>
>>51257784
>Animate Deed
>Firebolts
>Fireballs
>Power Word: Sun
>>
>>51257784
>Blandness
>Fig Cloud
>Blade Wart
>True Stroke
>Mage Land
>Shocking Grass
>Rice Storm
>Nice Storm
>Mice Storm
>Vice Storm
>Lice Storm
>Dice Storm
>>
>>51257784
>Flay
>Ending
>Breast Sense
>Fag cloud
>Day of Sickness
>Crown of sadness
>>
>>51257784
>Tasha's Hideous Slaughter
>Hind Familiar
>Arcane Glock
>>
File: 1432525073295.jpg (776KB, 1200x878px) Image search: [Google]
1432525073295.jpg
776KB, 1200x878px
Inspired by a recent thread, I want to play an alchemist raised by a hag. "Wait, why are you missing a finger?" "Oh, I asked nana that once when I was little. She said she had to make sure I wasn't a cookin' baby." etc
Does anyone have some sources beyond Volo's I could use to read up on hags, or even just old fairy tales that are close? I'd like to be able to portray some fey strangeness and esoteric magic without being lolrandum.
>>
>>51257784
> Char person. Also, Fry.
> Control Walter
> False wife
> Store of vengeance
> Heil

I'm having fun here.
>>
File: avalon.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
avalon.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>51257784
>Ban
Sounds pretty apocalyptic.
>>
>>51257784
>Farms of Hadar
>Disguise Elf
>Divine Flavor
>False Wife
>Healing Sword
>Lice Knife
>Animate Dad
>Speak with Dad
>Conjure Valley
>Deincarnate
>Bitch Bolt
>Rape Trick
>Arcane Cock
>Aids
>Tenser's Floating Dick
>Sex
>>
>>51258020
>>51258014
>>51257978
>>51257971
>>51257894
>>51257889
>>51257846
These are golden. The idea will be to keep the power level (roughly) the same, just with completely different effects. We'll see. Should I add in a failsafe like it was a %chance of shattering the ring, starting at 1% and increasing by 1 every time it's used?
>>
>>51256077
My players (a party of 2) decided to go Frost as well.

Fighter ended up dying in single combat with the Jarl after he hid inside a chest in the treasure room to attune to the conch.

Ranger decided to stow away on one of the unmanned ships.

The last thing the fighter saw before he died (via potion of clairvoyance) was a vision of his partner below the ship's deck re-enacting Duel of the Fates with a barrel
>>
>>51257858
Thus why xp is a bad system unless you give away significant amounts for everything done.
>>
>>51258020
The classic version is better.

Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Daughter.

Otto's Irresistible Lance.
>>
>>51258023
I was laughing at my own ones and then I read this and lost my shit

>>51258047
>animate dad
>speak with dad

Please stop, I'm going to wet myself at work

can someone screencap this, it's fucking hilarious
>>
>>51257784

>Cast Mage Band for sick shows
>>
File: manikin mask.jpg (157KB, 1237x1444px) Image search: [Google]
manikin mask.jpg
157KB, 1237x1444px
>>51257784
>Fine Traps
>>
File: eastern-aviation-mi-24.jpg (248KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
eastern-aviation-mi-24.jpg
248KB, 1920x1080px
>>51258014
>Dominate Breast
>True Sexing
>Plane Shit
more like plain shit amirite
>Control Hinds
pic related
>>51257978
>missing skeet storm
Do you even 12 years old?
>>
>>51255657
>homebrew
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>51257784
>Win Wall
>Vicious Cockery
>Evard's Back Tentacles
>Death War
>Blade War
>Sleep Storm
>>
Hmmm, I might limit it to "Change one letter" instead of add, change, or remove....
>>
File: 1306148734711.jpg (333KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1306148734711.jpg
333KB, 600x600px
>>51257784
>Wew
what would wew do
WHAT WOULD WEW DO?
>>
>>51257784
You can change the Light cantrip to the spell Blight
any noun you can add "s" at the end of
Fireball -> Firewall

also:

Speak with Dad
Rust
Might
Poison Spay
Less
Disguise Elf
Sex
Magic Fissile (creates a small nuclear magic missile)
Sleet
Aids
Cloud of Naggers
Dope Trick
Wet
Ball Lightning
Beacon of Nope
Bestow Purse
Phantom Seed
Vampiric Ouch
Death Warp
Elemental Bank
Stoneskink
Loudkill
Destructive Smile
Insect Plaque
Mold Person/Monster
Ass Cure Wounds
Crying
Find the Math
Guards and Bards
Ball of Ice
Divine Work
Power Sword Kill
Prismatic Spay
Animal Shames
Amaze
Rue Resurrection
Magic Tone
Chromatic Orc
Detect Evil and Gold
>>
>>51255412
Did more work on this eh? Nice.

First off, things I disagree with >>51256065
on.
>Secondly, the "disadvantage on other targets" things with orchestrated strike seems clunky and irritating: if this is going to replace extra attack it may be frustrating if its usefulness is dictated by your allies' position.
He's a fucking tactician you faggot

Now for your new shit
>Archery Training
Other guy was right here, two fighting styles so early is shit. Instead, check out... Skirmishers stealth? It's in the Ranger UA under the Skirmisher archetype. Steal it.
>Quick Volley
Mechanically I like it. Your wording is shit. Add more periods, you get me?
>Baiting Mistake, I get to move your guys if you get to move mine
No, fuck off. Instead, check out Swashbucklers Panache, move the two targets after they make contested (Insight) checks VS your (Deception) check.
>Tactical Genius
CREEEEEEEEEEEEEED
>>
>>51258022
I really hope you're going the artificer tradition wizard from eberron UA just so you could cast bestow curse like a reel witch in addition to making potions.
>>
>>51257784
>Leomund's Secrete Chest
>>
>Glyph of Larding
>Musty Step
>Vicious Cockery
>Wall of Farce
>>
File: HIGH lord wolnir.png (172KB, 499x397px) Image search: [Google]
HIGH lord wolnir.png
172KB, 499x397px
>>51257784
>bling
>>
I've got an idea for a class. An idea that probably wouldn't work too well as a subclass.

The central conceit of the class is that you know *a* spell. But you can cast it like a cantrip (maybe before level 5 you can do it 1/short rest).

How do you balance a class like this? What other class abilities do you give it, to keep it from being too bland but also keep it from being overpowered?
>>
>>51257784
>gastral projection
>allow
>scone shape
>tongue
>weld into stone
>sonburst
>stork of vengeance
>detect god
>Purify food, and drink
>Thunderous Smile
>Wrathful Smile
>Searing Smile
>maid
>laid
>find steel
>protection from poisson
>>
Reminder:
ar-teefiss-er not artifice-er
>>
>>51258179
I was actually thinking of going with the new one.
I agree with the problems others have pointed out, but this is actually the once concept I've got that makes good use of a large constructed servant.
In the form of a roughly elk-shaped portable alchemy kit/riding cart/baba yaga hut.
>>
File: brock-samson-sp.jpg (46KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
brock-samson-sp.jpg
46KB, 500x250px
>>51257784
>Conjure Brock (UA)
Might want to outright ban this one.
>>
>>51258158
>You can change the Light cantrip to the spell Blight

In this case (caster trying to cheat at getting a higher level spell for the cost of a cantrip) there would be dire ramifications or feedback, with a very small chance of it actually happening successfully.

>any noun you can add "s" at the end of
For damage spells, or spells where it makes sense, the original damage can just be split up among multiple targets

>Fireball -> Firewall
8d6 in a line perpendicular to the caster centered at a point he chooses. No lasting effects (other than what fireball would normally do).
>>
>>51258209

>Hind Traps
>Re-vilify
>Crusader Manlet
>Convulsion
>Power Word: Bill
>>
>>51257784
>Control Heather
>Sexquester
>True Sexing
>Transport via Pants
>Funbeam
>Ham
>Find the Bath
>Arcane Mate
>Transmute Cock
>Crying
>Rary's Telepathic Pond
>Dispell Evil and God
>Circle of Tower
>Antilife Hell
>Wall of Hand
>>
>>51258260
Create Walter
>>
>>51258155
It would fizzle, because it doesn't make sense.
>>
So i'm about to start up my first campaign DMing. While i'd like to use my own world and adventures, I figure my first foray into DMing should be with a premade adventure, but just make that adventure my own.

I'm a big fan of Weird and gonzo, and I fucking love Dragons and Tiamat, so I considered using the Tyranny of Dragons adventure line, but make it weirder.

How well does Tyranny of Dragons run? IS this a lost cause?
>>
>>51257784
>Thoughts on this item I'm about to give to the wild magic sorcerer of the party?

Ring of MisSpelling
Whenever you cast a spell, you can add, remove, or change one letter of the spell's name, and the effects follow suit (as per the DM's discretion). Useable once per day, yadda yadda.

Can you break it? (10th level sorc)

Original OP

Some rule changes and caveats I guess, to keep it somewhat reigned in:

Can only change one letter to another letter (no adding or removing).

Addendums from this: >>51258243

At all times, there is a chance for the spell to fizzle (considering 5% / natural 1 on a d20)
>>
>>51258225
>How do you balance a class like this?
NOT letting them choose Shield for that spell.
>>
>>51258260

>Magic Stoner
>AIDS
>Alter Shelf
>AntiWife Shell
>Amoir of Agathis
>>
>>51257784
>arcane cock
>bacon of hope
>blue
>light
>link
>burning bands
>ball lightning
>hill touch
>cone
>cloudbill
>colon spray
>commute
>bone of cold
>cone of old
>conjure gey
>conjure lolley
>conjure Brock
>continual lame
>control leather
>crown of radness
>dancing fights
>death bard
>demiplank
>destructive rave
>divine flavour
>divine sword
>ream
>lust devil
>earthmind
>pear
>fund traps
>lust
>lice knife
>kock
>mass seal
>mass without trace
>poison pray
>power word sun
>power word bill
>power word will
>rape trick
>sea invisibility
>spider limb
>stone shade
>transmute cock
>mime stop
>true peeing
>vicious cockery
>wall of hand
>fish
>bitch bolt
>bone of truth
10/10
What would these spells do?
>>
>>51257784
>crap the soul
>demiplanet
>wash
>magic tar
>mess suggestion
>Otto’s Irresistible Dunce
>Guards and Wars
>Flesh to Scone
>>
>>51258242
What are Brock Sampson's stats? 18th level fighter/barbarian with a 20 in str, dex, and con?
>>
With these amazing examples of (mis)Spells, consider the following:

>Is this a good idea?
>Is this Deck of Many Things retarded (mind you it's once per day)
>Any suggestions on restrictions / forewarnings to keep in mind?
>>
>>51258155
>>51258320
Two high level wizards meet for a magical duel that will decide the fate of the cosmos.

One casts Wew, the other responds with Power Word Bill.

Who wins?
>>
>>51258380
>Is this a good idea?
No
Yes
Do it anyway, it'll be the most hilarious campaign ever
>>
File: 1480453627166.png (189KB, 550x431px) Image search: [Google]
1480453627166.png
189KB, 550x431px
>>51258380
>Is this a good idea?
If your players are currently taking the campaign seriously, don't expect them to with something like this. Same with the carousing table and the deck of many things.
It's retarded but I suppose it fits wild magic, and I would like it if I don't need to be worried about the tone being fucked.
Unless you want to start magical realming this, you'd better start thinking up some alternate uses for the sex and genitalia-related misspellings.
>>
>>51257255
Alternatively, tieflings pass the curse on to their offspring, and any child that is the result of coupling with their kind will bear that mark.

Though to be honest, either one works. Depends on the setting. I don't think it was every actually explained in great detail as to the why/how.
>>
File: Power Word Bill.jpg (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Power Word Bill.jpg
24KB, 512x512px
>>51258417
You know the answer.
>>
>>51258507
wew lad
>>
>>51258434
We have a pretty good ebb and flow on when it's time for business (serious roleplay, emotional moments), and when there's dicking around.

Also, out of all the players, I think this one in particular is the most likely to actually use it for tactical decision making as opposed to fart jokes.
>>
>>51257784
>Dish
>Massage
>Rage Hand
>Rigby's Hand (OOOOOOOHHHHHH)
>Bardskin
>Cloud of Baggers
>Fine Steed
>Dire Ball
>Healing Sword
>Punter's Mark
>Mordekainen's Faithful Mound
>/pol/morph
>Scurying
>Spider Limb

This is hilarious holy shit
>>
Should ghostwise halflings be playable characters?
>>
>>51257784
There's a book that does that in a game I'm in.

This has resulted in Ball Lightning and Blame Sphere.
>>
>>51255226
What do you think about the path of the zealot?
>>
>>51258660
The 14th level feature is fucking radical beyond belief. Everything else is okay.
>>
Does anyone have both versions of the Character options cheat sheet?
>>
>>51258660
I think it fits with the idea of a radical inquisition party going full Monty Python on heretics and "heretics".

>Inquisitive Rogue leader
>Paladin second in command
>Zealot meathead
>Theurgy Wizard
>Light or Life cleric
>>
>>51257784
Aids
Alter Serf
Antilife Hell
Beast Bone
Bestow Cure
Bigby's Band
Booping Blade
Loudkill
Control Waiter
Death Bard
Dispel Evil and Food
Fire Stork
Grant Insect
Glubness
Goofberry / Godberry
Heat Meal
Mace Armor
Major Mage
Misty Stew
Produce Frame
Remove Cure
Share the Dying
Grue Resurrection
>>
>>51258850
That party sounds quite fun. If only there was room for some kind of arcane caster too
>>
File: J 5e Bard 1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
J 5e Bard 1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
There is my Female Half-Elf Bard J

haven't played much 5e, going for a jack of all trades type of deal hence the 12 in all stats

anything wrong with it?
>>
>>51258890
>theurgy wizard
>>
>>51257745
Lathander (good god of the sun, optimism, athleticism, babies) once waged a one-man holy war against literally everything, including his fellow Good-aligned deities, without telling anyone, because he thought the other Good gods were not proactive enough in stopping Evil

All he accomplished was getting the Goddess of Pragmatism killed in a very roundabout fashion and now Helm (she was his waifu) hates him forever

It turns out the other Good gods were all way more proactive than him, they were just subtle about it and playing a longer game that was more efficient and useful in the end. Lathander is the kind of God who wakes up at night to see five cops kicking his dog and he runs out there screaming in his underwear and gets a billyclub to the spleen and thrown in jail for two months for assaulting the police, while the other Gods would record this on video or at least put their pants on before yelling out of the window "oi stop beatin my dog".

Lathander is, once again, a complete and total shit
worst sun god

The other Gods also wage battles against their opposed deities and followers but this is pretty much never a huge Crusade of sorts
>>
>>51258941
Why did you reply to my post with a greater-than symbol?
>>
I want to implement afflictions/virtues from darkest dungeon

I don't want it to be common, and only occurs when out in the wilderness or ina dungeon

Thinking of making a hidden stress meter for wax has character - taking damage, making tough decisions, traps acting out of character or seeing unsettling things creates stress.

When they reach that threshold I roll on a chart

Thinks 1-14 are afflictions, 15-18 is a stabilize and 19-20 is a virtue
>>
>>51257614
>realize later that no one else brought any potions at all
>spent mine healing the barbarian
My party got mad at me for feeding a downed character his own potion instead of using mine to get him up. Bitch, always use the medical supplies of the wounded guy before your own. This is common military shit.

Anyhow, pray real hard to your God.
>>
>>51257614
>tfw everyone in my party can heal except the Rogue and he's got Medicine
>>
>>51258959
What's wrong anon, are you jelly of my arcane knowledge giving me your cleric capstone early??
>>
Alright, taking advice from some anons last night I have rebuilt my ranger conclave. Need some critique and suggestions, is this too strong or too combat focused? Should I give it a flavor feature?
>>
>>51257784
i too remember this reddit post
>>
>>51258964
You know they already have madness as an optional rule in the DMG, right? Complete with distinctions between minor quirks and serious afflictions. And it's in a format that works in a tabletop game, rather than being reverse engineered from a vidya where different things work better.
>>
File: Katana.jpg (31KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
Katana.jpg
31KB, 467x350px
>>51256072

Ugh, a Katana is empirically vastly superior to a european longsword.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "renamed/flavored longsword" bullshit that's going on in the 5e system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.
>>
>>51258501
The results are exactly the same, so it's a distinction without a difference.
>>
>>51256072
An exotic weapon was almost always just a martial weapon with the damage dice improved by 1 size. The main exception is the spiked chain, which was just bullshit.
>>
>>51257784
Vampiric Couch
Fire Colt
Slade Ward
Plane Shit
Asswall
Mall of Stone
Rary's Telepathic Bone
Modify Memery
Mold Monster
Cream
Wash
Meteor Warm
Mate
Weirdo
Tim, Stop

Leomund's Secret Cheat
>>
>>51259108
this is a nice copy pasta
>>
>>51259136

I see. That's kind of boring.

I was thinking of exotic weapons in 5e, and I know I'd be disappointed if they were just boring ol' stat ups. To that end I thought, maybe it'd be nice if exotic weapons had some amazing effects with the trade off being that no one gets proficiency in them. That way, there'd be no need to go back an errata proficiency for any races or classes. Then they could simply make a feat if you wanted proficiency in exotic weapons. I don't have any ideas for an example, but I'm sure WotC could come up with something.
>>
>>51259186
Most of what you're trying to get is just custom magic items.

Ultimately, however, acquisition and choice of mundane equipment being trivialized is a pretty core assumption to 5e, and if you try to change it, you end up having to rewrite huge chunks of the system.
>>
File: 5-sided.jpg (23KB, 500x500px)
5-sided.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>>51259186
Exotic/masterwork dwarven/elven hammer/curveblade: 2d4 one-handed weapon

masterwork shortsword: 2d3

masterwork dagger: 2d2

masterwork halberd: 2d5
>>
>>51259186
It'd be nice if the 'you get weapon proficiencies' feat gave you weapons that nobody else gets, or certain classes such as monk had access to certain weapons

But they even put an errata saying 'you cannot get exotic weapon proficiencies with the feat' or something.

For the most part, exotic weapons should be things like the net. But then again, having it as an exotic weapon just means less people have access to it and that's kind of lame when it's a sidegrade not an upgrade.
>>
>>51259186
Would masterwork weapons be too powerful if they gave advantage to the damage die, ie shortsword does the highest of 2d6?
>>
>>51259225

Ah, that wasn't my intention. Rather than magic items, maybe something like a 2d8 weapon?

>>51259238

Yeah, this is more like what I want, but, you know, with better numbers on the right side of the D.

>>51259254

Man, I mean a new feat, not Weapon Master or whatever. A feat specifically called "Exotic Weapon Master." You gain proficiency in up to two exotic weapons.

>>51259395

I'm not sure what's implied by "masterwork." What's the history there?
>>
>>51259395
approx. +1 damage (+2 for d12s) on average, same maximum
>>
>>51259435
Masterwork weapons in past editions were +1 AB but not damage and did not pierce DR that was only vulnerable to magic. It was a way of giving someone a statistically better weapon without just giving them a +1 sword or whatever.

Masterwork weapons had a lower armor check penalty (which was a negative bonus to most Dex-based skills)
>>
>>51259435
>not just using the old feat
The weapon master feat is possibly the worst feat of all of them right now.

Ignoring the errata would make it better if there were exotic weapons
>>
>>51259435
>Ah, that wasn't my intention. Rather than magic items, maybe something like a 2d8 weapon?

No, that's what I meant.

Magic Shortsword of Double Damage Dice, fluffed as a Curved Sword. Enchanted Longsword of Rerolling Ones But Shattering On Criticals, fluffed as a katana.

That's the easiest way to get what you're trying to achieve. Adding that stuff as options on character creation is opening a can of worms you don't want. Dropping it as loot or available from certain merchants as sidegrades won't break anything.
>>
>>51259557

It's clear that you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes a magic item.
>>
>>51259624
What he means is that it's EQUIVALENT TO A FUCKING MAGIC WEAPON IN POWER
>>
I'm homebrewing a system to try to make rigorous travel fun and interesting. I fully expect to eventually accept giving up on DnD and using something else, but for now I'm still trying to cram this into 5e.

The idea I'm toying with currently pertains to encumbrance. Nobody wants to track that, it's not fun and it's a giant pain.

My solution is to give characters "slots", and you can carry whatever you want so long as you have a slot available.

For example, you have an armor slot. Any one set of armor can fit there without penalty. Unarmored barbarians can use it for loot if they want. You also have an ammunition slot, which can hold a set number of any ammunition. You have a handful of weapon slots.

Beyond your normal equipment that you rarely change, you might have a food slot, a water slot, and then a handful of free slots for holding anything. Loot, more weapons, additional supplies, rope, whatever.

Encumbrance, then, is a price you pay to manifest additional free slots. If for some reason you decided to carry every martial weapon in the PHB and then stumble across a magical potion, you can either drop one or take on an additional level of encumbrance to pick it up.

Obviously, the specific balance re: number of slots of various types is still wide open, and I'd rework encumbrance penalties as well.

Rather, does this seem like potentially a fun mechanic? Something that would create meaningful choices without too much bookkeeping? Keep in mind this would be part of other systems, for a campaign based upon travel and survival and exploration, possibly even a hex crawl.
>>
>>51259652

You and I as well it seems.
>>
>>51259685
That doesn't sound like it would be fun at all.

If you want to make travel fun, you make a (secret) hex map that is populated with fun stuff to discover, then make them roll Survival to see if they actually end up traveling in their intended direction or stumble upon something completely different.
>>
>>51259685
I have, and would just fiat it. Some things are much harder to carry than others. A sword is designed to be easy to carry, and out of the way. A halberd/spear is a clumsy massive stick that gets stuck in doorways.

I'd tell them encumbrance is relevant, but I wouldn't encourage Tetris inventories.
>>
>>51259515
Masterwork weapons were also required for making a weapon magical, the idea being that the mastercrafted weapon would be properly balanced and finely crafted so as to make the magical enchantment stick properly and make the weapon benefit the most from the enchantment.
>>
>>51259762
>I'd tell them encumbrance is relevant, but I wouldn't encourage Tetris inventories.

Maybe I've poorly explained it, but there wouldn't be Tetris. You don't have an inventory grid filled with items of different sizes lile Diablo or whatever.

Rather, you have X slots, and every item in the game - spell scroll, arrow, full plate armor - occupies one and only one slot. Small items, like ammunition, either stack or might be handwaved entirely. Big items, like weapons and armor, have a number of dedicated slots that can't be used for anything else, but otherwise can also fit into generic slots.

For example, maybe you have:
>any two weapons
>any one armor
>any one type of ammunition
>any four other items

My reasoning is:
At a glance you can instantly see how much room you have, as every item is the same size. You are going to rarely if ever change your armor and weapons, which further minimizes book keeping. So, you have four slots, that you can visually see on your character sheet, into which you can put whatever you want. If you want to pick something up, you decide what to drop, but 100% of the decision making is a cost-benefit analysis and 0% is inventory Tetris. To pick up any one thing, drop any one thing. This should take 5 seconds every time it comes up, ignoring time spent in actual decision making, and wouldn't come up more than a few times per session at most.

On the other hand, justification for creating an encumbrance mechanic is to give the players meaningful choices to make. Do you drop your spare rations to take this magic sword? Do you drop your spell scrolls to take a map of the region?

These are meaningful decisions the players can make, and I believe at a minimum of additional complexity or bookkeeping.
>>
>>51259956
Make sure it's something like
>you have a number of slots equal to your strength modifier
>>
>>51259096
Oh shit where?
>>
>>51260016
Yeah, like I said, I still haven't put any thought into the specifics. Still hashing out the overarching design goals - since it's part of an inter-connected system, I don't want to get lost in the details only to realize later that it's butting heads with some other mechanic.

In other words, I can't promise it'll be good, but I can promise I'll think before I commit.
>>
>>51259711
Stealing this for when my PCs go off the rails
>>
>>51260324
>>51260324
>>51260324
>>51260324
>>51260324
>>51260324
new thred
>>
>>51257111
Any ones you recommend?
>>
>>51258022
literally just about any old eastern European tales about witches
its where hags draw most of their lore from
>>
>>51259186

For masterwork in my game I'm ruling that it's just +1 to-hit and can be enchanted more easily.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.