[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 52

File: The witch.jpg (244KB, 765x1045px) Image search: [Google]
The witch.jpg
244KB, 765x1045px
"Why so few druid PCs?" edition.

>Latest News
No UA until January 9
Paladin UA http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> Last Thread
>>50996892

Which class would you add to 5e? Keep in mind that psionics are already returning to DnD in shape of mysics, and a lot of character concepts are subclasses now.
>>
>>51006274
First of all, you're dumb for making the players to roll stats in the first place. Now, the wisest thing you can do is saying:
> Guys, I really fucked up, and we should all work together to fix this mess. Can you remake your characters in pointbuy 27?
>>
>>51006341
Honestly, if you don't have to approach them, you can step back and eldritch blast instead. It's way less effective, but a party stepping back and making ranged attacks is much more effective than a party that just wanders into melee and takes a load of hits.

Most monsters are most effective at melee range, so forcing the enemies to dash up to you is generally a good strategy to save yourself for a round.

It's unlikely all monsters will get into range in one turn unless it's very claustrophobic.

You can also move away from monsters of your own accord to force them to re-engage melee with you.

To be honest, it works best if you're using a 1d10 polearm since you can attack with reach and avoid opportunity attacks and reposition yourself in front of a teammate or something, but you can't quite do that with a quarterstaff. Even so, careful positioning should ensure you get a few attacks with it every encounter.

>>51006364
If only.
Fuck DMG flying boots that work 8 hours a day or something ridiculous.

>>51006380
It'll probably be wasted somewhat. You can often persuade people without good charisma checks, for example, and struggle to convince monsters that would rip you apart. Unless your DM runs 'gold is XP' or milestones, you want to blindly kill everything you see.
>>
>>51006384
>Which class would you add to 5e?

I mean what iconic archetypes are missing? We have the weapony guy, the holy guy, the sneaky guy, the magicy guy, the devily guy, the shapeshifter, the warrior poet...

Maybe the talky/charmy guy, but you can already do that with a bard or wizard
>>
>>51006440
Warlord. Warlord is missing. Since when you try to do warlord as a fighter archetype, you get a mess that is Purple Dragon Knight.
>>
>>51006477
>take battlemaster
>change the maneuver list to stuff that heals and supports your party instead of increasing your damage

HURP DE DURP
>>
>>51006477
Play a charisma-based paladin with the 'give everybody a load of temp HP' feat.

All those team buffs.
>>
>>51006425
Yeah, EB is great for solving problem two. I think the lesser use quarterstaves get from it is intended as some kind of balancing factor.
>>
>>51006514
You can always consider the +2 AC from the shield a side benefit for not getting a fourth attack all the time, I guess.

Even if you put them down to 3.3 attacks a round average or something, they still have good AC, burst damage, auras and all those paladin goodies.

Also I guess if they don't want to take EB they can use their action to cast bless or use sacred weapon or something in preparation for a melee fight. I think agonizing blast is probably a good invocation to take because it gives the paladin a decent ranged attack if they have to resort to ranged combat rather than charging in alone and getting beaten up by everything that would otherwise be denied attacks.
>>
>>51006419
Personally I give my players the choice-

You can point buy, or you can roll. Admittedly I also rule soft caps at 6 and 16, but it's worked out alright so far.
>>
>>51006494
Maneuvering strike, rally, distracting strike, and commander's strike, except they mostly suck and don't change that you're a fighter.

A warlord would be like a cleric with an emphasis on short rest resources.
>>
File: foxhill.jpg (818KB, 2564x1960px) Image search: [Google]
foxhill.jpg
818KB, 2564x1960px
>>51006354
woops thread was over, i meant:
http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/
>>
File: ....gif (1024KB, 242x227px) Image search: [Google]
....gif
1024KB, 242x227px
What's the point of spell components that don't have a GP cost?
>>
>>51006384
Some sort of Alchemist/Artificer inventor style class that's kinda like a gish but it's all built into the gear/items you make.
>>
What are some easy motivations for beginners?
>>
>>51006577
For situations where the PC that doesn't need a spell focus but the DM may want a situatoin where they're essentially 'disarmed' of their spells.
>>
Does anyone of the Mind Flayer armor concept art?
>>
>>51006577
Flavor, but mostly jokes. Hope you have your magnifying glass for sunbeam. Did you pack enough legume seeds for gust of wind? I think there may be some intentional choices about what does or does not use them too.
>>
File: 20170103_120032.jpg (3MB, 1998x2639px) Image search: [Google]
20170103_120032.jpg
3MB, 1998x2639px
Can the squire see combat at all? If not and my DM decides to let my squire fight (flaky friends thus short on players) How is this meant to be/should be handled?

Pretty clueless on how the mechanics of this are supposed to work.
>>
So hey, if you twin Witch Bolt onto two guys, do you use your action on future turns to deal 1d12 to both of them or just one of them?
>>
>>51006571
Some of those weapons seem like they have too much faff and not enough reason to exist, but some of those are actually quite nice. Say, 'you can shave your hair as a ritual once every 10 days when you have long enough hair to power up the weapon until the end of a long rest' was an interesting one.

Some properties such as 'leaves no blood/traces' behind seemed like they'd have way too niche a use unless you're a criminal. If it was a little broader somehow, such as keeping the target vaguely quiet, players might be able to think of a stealth mission use for it.
>>
>>51006619
Depends on how much the DM hates fun, but I would think yes.
>>
>>51006582
Fun?
>>
File: Tomato.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
Tomato.gif
1MB, 320x213px
The first 78 pages of my PHB fell out, and I don't have any Elmer's Glue to put it back in
>>
>>51006634
Complain to WotC. No really. They have a replacement program for faulty bindings on an early print run.
>>
>>51006617
>they do not fight for you
>>
>>51006617
squires will not fight period
they won't even enter dungeons or caves and are probably not too keen to even wait outside
>>
>>51006619
>just one of them
Is the RAW answer. Your DM might be nice, because Witch Bolt would be a shitty spell even allowing for the favorable ruling.
>>
>Why so few druid PCs?

Because unless you're really keen on turning into Animals or dropping a sackload of Marmots on dudes there's always Nature Cleric. Mainly Druids suffer from a more limited spell list so if you're going to play a caster unless you're aiming to turn into a Bat or a Dolphin then your cocks broke and you've got gay nigger dicks in your ears and your head in your ass there's casters with better spell lists and with a little refluffing can make pretty decent "Druids".
>>
>>51002966
>>Chaotic Neutral Bard/Rogue who still thinks RandumbXDDD is cool and considers pansexuality to be a character trait.
i am truely sorry for your lots
>>
>>51006571
amateur maps like this make me hard.
>>
>>51006634
http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2365/

Click Dungeons & Dragons, read.
>>
>>51006582
Honestly you can just pull from backgrounds in the PHB and such but
>I have been wronged in some way and wish to seek the means for restitution
>I have wronged someone and seek a way to resolve their pursuit of me
>I seek a particular kind of knowledge, either in general or a specific artifact
>I am on the run from the law
>I am the law

And the classic
>I'd like to retire fat, rich, and known for being a badass
>>
File: 1483409422379.jpg (196KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1483409422379.jpg
196KB, 1000x1333px
>>51006582
> I need a lot of money, fast, and I'm too principled to rob merchants on the road.
>>
>>51006666
Nice Quads Satan, but what if my DM decides to let my squire fight (he's hunted towards it), how would that be handled?
>>
>>51006634
I recently superglued my pages back in and that's working fine BUT
You might be able to get it replaced, as people have mentioned.

I'm waiting to see if the pages fall out again to try and get a refund. Although I'm considering getting a second copy anyway because nobody at the table owns the books aside me, fuck.
>>
>>51006665
>>51006705
Thanks for the help, I'll get around to it
I'd rather have a PHB where the pages are falling out than no PHB at all for the time being
>>
>>51006741
> He has stats of a Guard from DMG.
> Not only he's useless in combat, he's a fucking liability, as you must ensure he doesn't die when a vampire farts too loud.
It's how my DM would do it.
>>
>>51006741
...he would create a statblock and play the NPC in combat, just like anything else? Probably CR 1/8 (guard or similar).
>>
>>51006679
Pathfinder has this same issue, really. Personally I believe that it's just not a very popular character style, since not a lot of people have fantasies about being a treehugger
>>
>>51006707
>I have been wronged in some way and wish to seek the means for restitution
Made a dwarf rogue that wanted to restore his family's home. Human family, not related. Think Alfred while Bruce is still a kid.
>>I have wronged someone and seek a way to resolve their pursuit of me
Got mixed up with a marshal's prisoner exchange and now our necks are on the block if we don't get them back.
>>I am on the run from the law
My ranger's party is saving this for a backup plan.
>>I am the law
Ranger used to be this.
>And the classic
>>I'd like to retire fat, rich, and known for being a badass
Made a halfling bard with this motivation for exploring a megadungeon. It's classic for a reason.
>>
File: Team_Rocket_trio_XY.png (62KB, 351x284px) Image search: [Google]
Team_Rocket_trio_XY.png
62KB, 351x284px
Hey guys, need a quick brainstorm.

Starting a campaign soon where the PCs begin at a university where they have just completed their training.

I want to develop a rival group of students that are like Team Rocket in that they would be malicious but are just too inept and instead come off as bumbling and annoying.

What are some good pranks the rival group can try to pull on the PCs? I especially need ones that have funny backfiring potential.
>>
>>51006741
are there even ANY benefits to forcing your squire to fight

>weak as shit, untrained
>when he dies, other retainers run away
>you get a reputation for being an asshole
>best case scenario he steals your exp while providing nearly no actual help in combat
>>
>>51006898
>like Team Rocket

PIT

TRAPS

ALL

DAY

EVERY

DAY

!!

Never let the PCs walk without wondering if there's a fucking pit trap a few steps ahead of them
>>
File: _calling_bullshit.gif (183KB, 214x200px) Image search: [Google]
_calling_bullshit.gif
183KB, 214x200px
>>51006419
>First of all, you're dumb for making the players to roll stats in the first place.

Nope. Rolling for stats is perhaps the only interesting or unique mechanic that 5e has left to offer. Most other systems have abandoned it, for understandable reasons. But D&D, being a structured class-based system rather than a point-buy min-max masturbation exercise, can afford to have rolling for stats.

See if you don't roll for stats, you are saying "I am incapable of enjoying a roleplaying game unless our characters are all of the exact same power level, which isn't even possible given 5e's (lessened, to be fair) caster supremacy."

So basically, you have no excuse for using point buy unless you are doing Adventurer's League. If you are using it in a home campaign that is fine as well, I suppose, but if you act like it is the best and only possible way of chargen, you are equivalent to those dumb cunts who think companies should have to be 50% black people when they only make up 13% of our population.

I had a new player quit my group on the first session when I told him we were rolling for stats. Last week my friend was getting his house fumigated so we played at the FLGS in my city. We saw him there, actually, and he was harassing another D&D group playing there as if trying to join. They seem to have rejected him, as he walked away sadly, bought a candy bar and a few dice, then left the store.

Point buy is for fucking faggots.
>>
>>51006582
>just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in
>>
>>51006595
Seconding this
>>
File: spoony.jpg (71KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
spoony.jpg
71KB, 720x405px
>>51006962
Spoony, you're off your meds again.
>>
>>51006911
this

Also, lots of cliffside battles where team rocket can fall off. Or potentially have explosive traps that they'll trigger themselves

>looks like we're blasting off agaaain
>>
>>51006679
I feel the issue is that wild shape is daunting because you have to know the monsters you want to transform into well, and those aren't in the PHB.
Also, you simply might not want a druid that turns into animals. While non-moon druid is actually pretty okay for that, not using the feature feels like a bit of a waste. They really should have designed wild shape as an archetype feature.
>>
>>51006962
>you are equivalent to those dumb cunts who think companies should have to be 50% black people when they only make up 13% of our population.

>I am incapable of communicating without mentioning """reverse racism"""
>>
Anons? I don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but, I've got a bunch of races I've been trying to homebrew for 5e, and I could use some help on balancing out what I have written and picking which ones to write next. Any opinions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>51006962
>Reasonable response
>Followed by strawman
>Diversity politics somehow brought in
>And I saw this nerd that was totally a loser
>ps. you're a fag

Chill my man, your opinion is valid, it's fine.
>>
If you're concentrating on a spell and then cast another concentration spell, the effects of the first concentration spell end immediately, yeah?

For example, if I have some guy Bane'd and cast Crown of Madness on him, he won't have to roll 1d4 and reduce that from his save, right?
>>
I want to make a Robot Master Warforged. How do I do it?
>>
>>51006962
Please enlighten us how having a mary sue character such as a fighter that rolled stats so high they have no attribute-score-related flaws and somehow has better charisma than the party face and is better at talking than the party face makes the game any more fun.

You're dividing up a party cake where each person has certain roles they're good at and bad at, except you've taken some of the bad-stats warlock's cake and given it to the fighter because the fighter's stealing their 'manipulative' part of their charisma.

And, honestly, it doesn't introduce anything interesting. That's all you've done - changed the numbers a bit so somebody's more powerful. Does it really reflect in any way other than making a character roll higher numbers than everyone else? No, not really.

If you want variation, roll stats in order. That way you'll see less 'Aside from my main stat, I put dex/con/wis as my highest stats and str/int/cha as my lowest stats' and more variation.
>>
>>51007135
You'd need to tell us which robot master first.
>>
I'm creating a cursed magic ring that causes either the previous owner or all the humans that you kill after attunement to come back as revenant(s). In the first case it would exceed the one year age limit, and in the second case I would lower it.

What could be a beneficial effect that I could give this ring in the theme of having some control over life and death that wouldn't be too overpowered? I was thinking maybe using hit points as charges for some necromancy spells or something along those lines, but it feels like it would become overpowered too quickly as the character grew in level.

Keep in mind that I plan to give this to a level 1 character for story reasons.
>>
>>51007158
>Please enlighten us how having a mary sue character such as a fighter that rolled stats so high they have no attribute-score-related flaws and somehow has better charisma than the party face and is better at talking than the party face makes the game any more fun.

Be real, no one who rolled stats like that would pick fighter.
>>
>>51006898
>buckets of ice water over every door
>remove the trap from the sink
>Kool-Aid powder in their bed (it's itchy and stains the skin when they sweat)
>Whoopie Cushion of Thunderwave
>replace their shampoo and bodywash with Nair
>bouillon cubes in the showerhead
>toothpaste in their food
>rubberband depressing the sink sprayer handle
>creamcheese in their shoes
>date rape them
>>
>>51007202
That's true. They'd probably pick paladin and be an OP piece of shit, as strong as the fighter, as healy as the cleric, as tough as the barbarian and as controlling as the wizard.
Well, that's if everybody else rolls poor stats, which is unlikely considering usually it's 4d6d1 and that results in higher stats than normal point buy / array. Expect at least two people with 18s.
>>
>>51007241
>as healy as the cleric, as tough as the barbarian and as controlling as the wizard.

This is how I know you're baiting.
>>
How would you improve Champion Fighters?
>>
>>51007256
Paladins do have various features that allow them to control things. Say, reduce an opponent's speed.

High charisma will give them a high DC. If the wizard has a low DC (it'll even out at the higher levels if the wizard has any sense with their ASIs) then the paladin can match the wizard's more diverse and spammable control effects with a much more reliable effect.

Also, a paladin can easily outdo a cleric without any stats. They can heal a party member for 1 HP at a time, which is enough to get them standing again. Compared to having to use an entire spell slot. The main issue here is that the cleric has a bonus action heal, but if they use this bonus action heal they can't cast a full action spell.
Also, the Cleric might be wasting all their spells on other things anyway.
>>
>>51007280
Give them maneuvers
>>
Why is everything in this game so FUN
There's practically no bad options aside from some spells that are more situational than anything else, but everything else works if you want it to
>>
>>51007280
Multiclass them. Multiclass at 5 into rogue, or multiclass at 3 into barbarian. GWM and half-orcness are mandatory.
>>
>>51007304
>Bladelock
>Rangers
>Berserker Barb
>Eldritch Knight
>>
File: 1483141097578.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483141097578.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>51007304
Are posts like this even possible? Without raging about something? Edgelords? Rolled stats? Monks? That Guy?

What are you on? You come to the most hate-filled place with the holy grail and we're all about to piss in it.
>>
>>51007304
amen
>>
>>51007314
Still perfectly viable options, they just struggle at higher levels.

Which, if statistics are to be believed, few people play anyway.
>>
>>51007051
yeah he wouldn't have to roll for bane
>>
>>51007358
i mean im a pretty positive guy and all but you gotta admit that posts like these, if enjoyable, don't actually bring anything to the thread.

I've played a bunch of rpg and 5e is an amazing game, yes. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here discussing it, would we?
>>
>>51007213
>date rape them
Well this escalated quickly
>>
>>51007358
I'm new, what is wrong with monks?
>>
>>51007453
Point buy and default array fuck them, and their best features are at high levels that most of /tg/ doesn't play.

Break either of those assumptions and monks are fine.
>>
>>51007471
Monks are fine if you wear armor.
Don't need Dex anymore so the stat problem is solved.
>>
>spear isn't reach
>trident does same damage as spear and can be thrown just as far
>using a morning star or war pick are the exact same weapon
>Sickle, the most pointless weapon in dnd
>quarterstaff does the same damage as spear, is better than mace in everyway

why are weapons in dnd so inaccurate? would it take too long for them to research historical combat?

all of these are quck fixes if you use your brain.
>>
>>51006900
Have him use a bow from far away. Have him use med kits on downed players. Placing caltrops. Bait when things go bad. Tons of options, i dunno what these other guys are on about. Not everything is about meatpoints.
>>
>>51007536
D&D is a fantasy game.
>>
>>51007536
You can make the same arguments by comparing the various "attack" cantrips

Long answer is that this is a setting where you can stop time and punch a guy in half, so who cares about accuracy

Short answer is NEEEEEEEEEEEERD
>>
>>51007439
Well, they're all supposed to backfire, right?

ha.

ha.

right?
>>
>>51007536
There's a handful of essentially useless options, yeah, but regardless they're not meant to actually represent the weapons "realistically". That's not the design philosophy for the basic weapons table.

They're mechanical. There's a reason why you can refluff them. Also it's FUCKING FANTASY.
>>
>>51006962
Considering that almost all DMs who let players roll for stats let them arrange the rolls however they like. the only thing rolling for stats does is create power variance. It doesn't create characters with weird combinations of ability scores that inspire characters the players wouldn't have otherwise thought of, like rolling for stats in order would do. It just means that some players have good numbers to work with and others have shitty numbers to work with.

Sure, some power variance is inevitable, and it doesn't always make the game unplayable, but why the fuck would you intentionally introduce more?
>>
>>51007536
>spear isn't reach
>trident does same damage as spear and can be thrown just as far
I might give you those
>using a morning star or war pick are the exact same weapon
What is abstraction? retard
>>
>>51007536
>why are weapons in dnd so inaccurate? would it take too long for them to research historical combat?

Only 3.PF autists care about differentiating weapons. People care about two things:

Is this optimal?
Do I like how this weapon looks?
>>
Is it a problem if I know absolutely nothing about the setting?

I figured I'd make a character who set out from his boring rural town and is neither involved in nor aware of the setting he lives in, since... neither am I.
>>
>>51007575
well from a gameplay prospective it's still frustating to have items that are completely outclassed. it means you see the same shit every single game.

okay I admit it, I wanted to run a spear, shield mace combo as a fighter. then I noticed that there was no reason to use mace and not morning star other than the trivial piecing/bludging difference. then I went on to notice that if I pick a morning star theres no reason to pick a spear other than to have something to throw as it does less damage and gives me no range advantage and unless you seriously want piecing damage, theres no reason not to just choose a warhammer.

so again we fall back to the same old weapons. that everyone uses. why in the hell isn't a morningstar versitle? it's big enough to use in two hands, and lord knows swinging with two hands makes a blunt object do more damage.
>>
>>51007592
uhh honestly as someone who lets players roll if they want to its not that bad

it can help players who want to play something MAD actually not garbage

how much are you really bothered if the groups fighter has a 1 point higher charisma mod

also if someone somehow rolls worse than the standard array, the rules straight up demand that they reroll
>>
>>51007646
You should probably get to know the setting. If you're not invested in the game, why are you playing?
>>
>>51007646
What, that bad? Has the DM told you absolutely nothing?
>>
>>51007646
You'll find that the vast majority of D&D players know nothing about the setting they're playing in, even if they think they do. Even DMs don't know a lot about the settings they use.

So when you're making a character, just point to a spot on the map and say you're from there. Ask your DM if he knows about that area. If he does, great, he can help you. If he doesn't, even better, you can make up the craziest shit you can imagine. Kind of like when Eric Cartman wrote a book report that one time.
>>
>>51007646
s e s s i o n 0
>>
>>51007683
Point-buy versus rolling tends to be a bit of a religious argument.

Particularly min-maxers are passionate about it.
>>
>>51007646
dnd has no canon world map so you always learn about your setting each time you play.
if you play as a sage your dm will inform you of what your character already knows.

>what you know/ =/= what your character knows also means what your character knows =/= what you know.

say for instance theres a mechanic in the game where drow poison knocks you out, yet you can be woken up quite easily by a friend. if you had no idea what was going on and thought you were fucked. you could just ask your dm. would my character know anything about this and if your DM isn't trash he'll give you an honest anwser or make you take a nature, history or medicine role. usually the one your best at to keep you from dying.
>>
>>51007683
>It's not bad because if you roll low you can reroll
Then medium becomes the new low and high becomes the new medium. It really doesn't change the fact that you're just making some characters randomly stronger or weaker for no reason.

>muh MAD classes
If you want the players to have a nicer array of good scores, there's a solution that doesn't involve pointless randomness. Give them more points to spend, or give them a better array to use.
>>
>A creature that partakes of the feast gains several benefits. The creature is cured of all diseases and poison, becomes immune to poison and being frightened, and makes all Wisdom saving throws with advantage. Its hit point maximum also increases by 2d10, and it gains the same number of hit points. These benefits last for 24 hours.

Does "immune to poison" mean only the poisoned condition, not poison damage?
>>
>>51007830
Both.
>>
>>51006384
"Why so few druid PCs?" edition.

Has anyone ever made a poll to see how many people are playing which class currently?
>>
>>51007854
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dd-survey-results-summary
>>
>>51007513
At which point they lose their speed and they have to multiclass and they're essentially just worse fighters except with a powerful stunning ability.

>>51007453
WOT4E sucks, hard.
They're not really diverse enough. They're mostly good at stealth (shadow monk) or control (open palm + stunning strike) but not very good at anything else. They don't get any significant damage boost beyond level 5, much like barbarian, too.
They only have 1d8 HP and really need their dex and wis, which means their con can't be nurtured when they really need that HP because they practically have to engage in melee combat.
Lastly, if you get crappy stats on them, their AC fucking sucks, their damage fucking sucks, etc etc. Point buy gives an acceptable 17/16/15/8/8/8 if you don't get called out on it and you go, say, wood elf, for 18/16/16 at level 4 and getting to 20/20/16 at level 16.
They're highly incompatible with various magical items if your DM doesn't tailor them for you.

Overall, they fulfill a role of stunning enemies very well, but they're not really good at much else.
>>
>>51007685
I don't particularly want to read a wiki on a world that's been added to nonstop for 20 years without even knowing which wiki pages will actually end up being relevant. I'll learn the setting as I play, no?

>>51007686
Basically, yeah

>>51007758
That's kind of self leading though, isn't it? I mean, that example works, but in the general sense you can't ask questions if you don't know that you don't know.

Like, say the poison was instead damage over time, but could be easily instantly cured by a friend, because... look, it's a contrived example. You wouldn't even think to ask about it, because you know what poison is and you think you understand what's happening.
>>
File: samusthumbsup.gif (3MB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
samusthumbsup.gif
3MB, 384x216px
>>51007862
>>
>>51007901
>needing monk speed
nigga you're a fighter who can jump off buildings, deflect arrows, and stun
>>
>>51007918
And all that goes away when you put on armor. For what? A few points of AC? It's not like 3.pf anymore where you need 30 AC to reliably avoid hits anymore.
>>
>>51007536
If you wanted to make it extra accurate, you could turn spears into a sort of 'we'll form a phalanx with this and then drop it and pull short swords out instead' thing, but that's getting too complex for 5e. Also, spears should be simple weapons because you want to be able to arm even peasants with it and they'll be able to use it.

Deal with the quarterstaff is it could be quite powerful if you use it right, though honestly if we were being more serious and realistic it might deal less damage but give some special ability. However, at that point, you're overcomplicating the rules again.

Basically, the answer is 'we didn't want to complicate weapons too much while also allowing the right classes to use the right weapons'. The weapon table isn't well suited to non-classed NPCs and such.
>>
File: 1481414473103.jpg (126KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481414473103.jpg
126KB, 1000x800px
is it just me or does the undying patron seem...shit?
>>
>tfw when play DnD with my elder brother
>tfw he is a fucking terrible DM who has no idea how to balance his homebrew
>gave one player a dragon at level 1 and a pike that she can throw with the return property
>gave one person plus TWENTY on persuasion roles (lucky the guy was fucking stupid and never used it then dropped out)
>keep playing even though he clearly makes everything up as he goes along while at the same time railroading us.
>we need to get to a place but it's too far to travel in the time we need
>I say we should buy riding horses and force march as much as possible
this city doesn't have horses
>it's the capital city
>explain that if the capital city didn't have hourses the economy would be non existant
>he gets mad and says it's fantasy
what ever lets just go find a mage to teleport us
>go on long boring side quest set by this pre meditated wizard character that he forced us to go though because he didn't account for horses or force marching

>invite him to play DnD with me
>he creates a home brew class
>picks air genesi
>floats up in the air and summons 2 floating great swords at level 1
if I summon a weapon within 5ft of someone I get an oppitunity attack
>says he cleaves 3 people and kills them all
>don't even argue, just wrap it up and never invite him again

this guy is in his 30's

no moral to this story, just wanted to try and see if anyone else has a worse story than mine. worst thing is DnD is the only thing we do together.
>>
>>51007945
none of that goes away when you put on armor
>>
>>51007959
>plus twenty bonus
He's a threeie, then?
>>
>>51007918
You can also Dodge while attacking, run up walls or across water, teleport, take half damage from all Reflex saves (or none if you save), only be charmed or frightened for a single round, be immune to poison and disease, and whatever the fuck your archetype does.
>>
>>51007956
Reworked it a long time ago if you're interested. Stole some Shadow Sorc abilities from the UA and mixed things around with a decent spell list
>>
>>51007959
I mean, that's just what you get for letting him create his own class, when you already knew he had no idea how to do it.
>>
>>51006898
>when the PCs sleep, their shoes are stolen
>>
>>51007683
>fighter has a 1 higher charisma mod
No, they won't put it in charisma. They'll put it in con or something unless you make them roll stats in order, in which case they might well have a 1 higher charisma mod.

>something MAD actually not garbage
Paladins are already very strong and have to choose between focusing strength, focusing charisma or multiclassing.

If you're rolling stats and letting people reroll stats until they get higher than standard array then it's starting to feel a lot less like there's a point to rolling it and more like arbitrary power inflation where everyone will probably have similar stats anyway. You might as well let them do point buy except give them more points and remove the 15 highest stat limit.
>>
If you had to rank the classes in order of what proportion of their power comes from the core class and from their subclass, what would it look like?
>>
>>51007945
>And all that goes away when you put on armor
The only Monk abilities that armor stops is bonus movement speed, Martial Arts (the damage, Dex-basing, and free bonus attack), and AC=10+Dex+Wis.
>>
>>51008025
>letting people

its literally mandatory
>>
>>51007918
>was playing a monk the other day
>jump of cliff
>guy looking at his computer the entire game says "i'll jump off too"
>he is playing ranger
>loses a third of his hp and then dies in the next fight
r
>>
>>51008037
>Martial Arts (the damage, Dex-basing, and free bonus attack)
Yes, their most important ability.
>>
>>51007314
>bladelocks aren't fun
*teleports behind you *
Heh, guess what..?
*darkness*
You can't even hit me
*dodges your attacks effortlessly then chuckles*
But I can see YOU
*shinigami eyes glow*
SUMMONED SWORD SLASH!!
*Cuts you in half, twice*
Heh, nothing personal...
*flies away*
c-can we short rest now, p-paladin-sama?
>>
File: 8261-26793-10618.jpg (19KB, 420x354px) Image search: [Google]
8261-26793-10618.jpg
19KB, 420x354px
>>51006962
This, 100%
>>
I dismemberment to be a thing in my games. Not common, but not uncommon. Do you think doing it on crits would be too uncommon?

Here's what I have right now: for every 10 points (too high?) in attack roll over the targets AC, you get to roll a d6 for damage against a limb. Limbs have HP starting at 1 for minuscule and raising by 1 for each size catagory, and DR 0 for light armour, 1 for medium and 2 for heavy. Bladed weapons add 1 to the damage roll, two handed weapons add half strength, bludgeoning and piercing weapons can't dismember but cripple the limb by breaking bones or tearing muscle. I was also considering instead, that bladed weapons add half strength, and two handed weapons increase the die to d8.
>>
>>51008078
Forgot to say, this only happens on a crit.
>>
File: 1475176749766.jpg (233KB, 571x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475176749766.jpg
233KB, 571x800px
>>51008078
This seems like an absolutely terrible idea.
>>
>>51007913
well yes of course things like this happen all the time. it's about being creative and thinking of possibilties at all times. you get infinate time to think about things. unless theres an asshole trying to rush things along so he can do his super ebin thing theres no rush.

a great example of a person in my party using his brain and getting everyone out of a situation by asking questions was one person simply asking "are bullywugs paticually smart" I said no and he created a minor illusion of a land shark.

he knew this because he was a swamp druid so I didn't make him role anything and decided that theres no way he wouldn't know.

it's always a good idea to be creative. it makes for some funny situations.
>>
>>51008057
>everyone talks about how Monk damage is subpar or equal compared to other martials
>BUT MARTIAL ARTS IS THEIR MOST IMPORTANT ABILITY
>>
>>51008108
>I can't outdamage a raging barbarian so i'll opt to do NO damage instead!!!1!

uhh, have fun I guess
>>
There's an Animated Armor protecting the burial chamber in the tomb of an ancient order of knights, but the paladin PC has taken their oath and become an honorary member of said knighthood and the Armor is now friendly to the party. The Armor in normally bound to the room it is in, so what should I make the players do if they want to expand the patrolling area of the allied Armor to the whole tomb dungeon?
>>
>>51008078
That sounds like an incredibly fucking convoluted calculation... Just do it when someone is dropped to zero by something appropriate. Maybe on a roll of 1 on a d20.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>he picks half-elf
>>
>>51008078
To what end?
If I dismember enough orcs can I craft the Orc leather cuirass?

Just narrate gruesome deaths when an enemy is killed by a particularly noteworthy attack.
>>
>>51008050
>level 9 Monk now
>have yet to simply walk up to an enemy and punch them
>just running along walls, backflipping off enemies, leaping into the rafters and dropping down on people
>>
What class should I be with a monk, paladin and rogue party? Im thinking something ranged, but i dont wanna be begging my no casting party to take rests for my spells. Whats the most fun option?
>>
>>51008124
Just use a weapon. You've got two attacks. A greatsword does about as much in your hands as a Fighter's.
>>
>>51008078
Needlessly complicated. Since HP are pretty abstract to begin with and hitting 0HP already represents being downed by a serious injury, just make up a table to roll on when a PC or important NPC hits 0HP. Most of the time there's no additional effect, sometimes a limb is severed or rendered useless, and every now and then it means instant death. If the outcome doesn't make sense, like crippling a nonexistent limb, there's no additional effect.
>>
>>51008171
>just use a weapon you're not proficient in
I'd like to actually hit the monsters, thank you.
>>
>>51008164
>i dont wanna be begging my no casting party
>Monk
>Paladin
Go Bard or Warlock.
Honestly, it's not hard to long rest. Sessions are not going to go on long enough or have so much continuity that you won't be long resting between towns or sessions unless you happen to be in a long dungeon slog, in which case everyone wants a long rest anyhow to get HD back.
>>
>>51007918
Without action surge, higher health (-1 HP beyond the first), martial arts or the extra ASIs fighter would give you along with a level slower progression (A level longer to get stuff like an ASI or one ki point less) and less speed, and your flurry of blows sucks.

I suppose you can fill a niche where you're not any good at dealing damage but you're tankier than a normal monk and can still stun stuff, but in the long run you'll just be a worse monk or worse fighter once you get to the point where you would have high dex and high wis due to ASIs. Maybe level 8 or 12.
>>
>>51008074
>>
>>51008182
So take a Fighter, Barbarian, or Rogue level. Or be of a race that grants weapon proficiencies (Elf, Dwarf) or armor proficiencies (Dwarf).
>>
>>51008004
I said don't make a class too OP.
he said he got 3 natty 18's but rerolled because I told him not to roll too OP so in the end he had reasonable stats.

but there no point having reasonable stats if you're using two handed weapons as basicly projectiles. it doesn't matter if you get your strengh added to your damage roll. the damage a greatsword does is balanced for the risk of melee combat.

knowing what he was like I honestly thought he'd go moon druid or some shit.
>>
>>51008219
>get in nerd
>we're gonna run a train on Daisy
>>
You aren't playing monk correctly if you aren't forcing your DM to keep track of the material hardness and HP of the surrounding terrain.

I don't know how much HP a sandstone floor is supposed to have, but I bet I can do enough damage to shove this skeleton through fifteen feet of it for two ki.
>>
>>51008190
I shoulda mentioned i was a bard last time and i didnt like it that much, and eldritchblast.class seems lame. Also im a complete noob so i just assumed paladins and monks didnt do that much casting to require long rests so i guess im retarded
>>
>>51008220
Why am I even bothering to be a monk to begin with when the plan is to wear armor and use non-monk weapons?
>>
>>51008198
>17-18 AC at 8/12 unless you're a filthy rolling whore
>>
>>51008242
So you can do everything else Monks do?
>>
>>51008108
>>51008124
>>51008171
>you can use a 2d6+STR weapon twice instead of 1d8(and 1d6 unarmed strike)+DEX three times

With 18 str/dex, that's 4d6+8 versus 2d8+1d6+12.You're actually doing less damage. Even less damage once. You also lose the benefits of having high dex instead of high strength.

You do get the bonus action free to use patient defence if you want.
Thus, it's actually perfectly okay if you want a tanky monk that's not quite as good at other things and focuses on wisdom instead of str/dex, but you might as well ask if you can play a kensei in that case.
>>
>>51008251
>he fell for the AC meme
>>
>>51007190
it's already too overpowered you cum-snorting idiota
>>
>>51008276
A difference of 2.5 damage. Honestly, the largest bonus to Monk MA is the fact that you get three attempts to hit something instead of just two.

Gets better for you if you gain your weapon proficiency through multiclassing (Fighter could get you Dueling or GWF) and you can opt to take something like GWM or PAM, the latter of which puts you ahead of Monk again at the cost of a feat.
>>
>>51008276
>>51008171
>>51008124
>>51008108
So, on that note, I'd build it like:
>fighter1/monkX
>+1 AC while armoured fighting style
>medium armour
>shield
>rapier
>20 AC total
>14 to 16 dex
>16+ wisdom, up wisdom every ASI
>use ki for patient defence or stunning strike
>beg your DM to allow you to be a tranquility monk for crazy heals
>bonus points if you get GFB/BB somehow and use that
>oh, also delicious second wind
>also +2 HP I guess due to starting a level in fighter, and str/con save proficiency to start with while having high dex/wis will give them all-rounded saves

However, you're nothing like a GWM fighter and you simply won't compete there. However, it's a very valid alternative to a sword-and-board fighter that focuses on stunning things. However, a normal monk using a standard array will reach 20 AC by level 16, 19 AC by level 12, 18 AC by level 8 and 17 AC by level 4, 16 AC before that. They'll be faster, do more damage and be a level ahead in terms of progression and can go open palm and use flurry of blows for extra damage while knocking enemies about, but at least at the lower levels they'll be more vulnerable.
>>
>>51008388
However, I used however three fucking times in a row there.
>>
>>51008388
Why are you wearing Medium Armor if you took Fighter first and can put on full plate? You've got 21 AC at level whenever-the-fuck-you-get-plate instead of waiting until 12 or 16 which you'll never reach.

And if you spend all your ki on patient defense you're pretty much immortal I guess.
>>
>>51008421
Because you'd need 15 strength and you're already wanting good dex/wis/con, without making yourself THAT crazyMAD.

I guess you could use the rapier with strength, but then you're starting to incur other problems such as
>lower initiative, crappy stealth you're gauranteed to fail, lower dex saves. I suppose you're better at grappling though

I'm starting to think that at this point though you might as well go fighter1/wizard and use wizard spells to hinder enemies instead of going around and stunning things.
>>
>>51008470
Just forget Dex like every other person playing a Fighter that isn't some Dex-memeing sperg.
>>
Am I the only one that wants a level zero?

I dislike starting in a position of power, either because of background granting RP features or because you can 1v1 the town guard. I wanna go from zero to hero, not from hero to bigger hero.
>>
>>51008568
>Am I the only one that wants a level zero?
Yes.
>>
File: thefuckdidyoujustsay.png (61KB, 378x253px) Image search: [Google]
thefuckdidyoujustsay.png
61KB, 378x253px
>>51008568
>>
>>51008388
>Shield and rapier.
Nigger do you even roleplay?
I hope people treat you like a faggot
>>
>>51008519
Dex is kind of a big deal when it's one of the most important saves and can potentially give you an extra turn in every combat due to initiative, or even a turn with surprise as well if you get to ambush some creatures.

>>51008568
If you can 1v1 the townguard, either you're a very high level and the town only has MM-tier mookling guards or the DM isn't playing them right.

Level 1 is already more than 'level 0' enough, considering how easy it is for you to die there. You're not in a position of power, you're pretty much an upstart adventurer with fleeting, likely to get murdered potential.
>>
File: Spiderbro.png (18KB, 542x467px) Image search: [Google]
Spiderbro.png
18KB, 542x467px
Been thinking of a possible wishlist for a Circle of the Beast Druid. I know Druids are one of those classes where magic bling's more a bonus than a necessity, so I was thinking of a boon/magical training/item to expand Wildshape so that the pet has its own supply that it can only use on itself and, for the sake of balance, I'd have to activate myself like a normal use. Still a way's to go before it becomes a thing, but how does it sound? Too much/little? Or should I just go with the tried and true Ring of Spell Storing and all that?
>>
>>51006419
Or you know, don't be a colossal dick about it.

What's all this passive aggressive nonsense, don't be a little shit of a coward.
>>
>>51006577
A spell with material components requires the player stow a weapon or other item in order to manipulate either a component pouch or arcane focus, whereas that requirement can be waived with spells which only require verbal and/or somatic components with the use of the War Caster feat.

In theory, anyways. Unless the DM is particularly gung-ho about forcing players to keep track of the components for each and every spell, material components without costs are a effectively a non-issue.
>>
>>51008648
You can refluff the rapier as a saber or whatever. This is just the base mechanics of making the thing even work in the first place.

Or are you saying 'you should use a shortsword which is 1d6 instead of 1d8 and thus nerf yourself for the sole purpose of roleplay'?
>>
>>51008568
Levels 1 and 2 are your "level zero"

You're not an actual adventurer until level 3
>>
>>51008653
You will always get the surprise round when you are a Monk in full plate who runs 30 feet + whatever a huge Athletics roll will get him x3 and leaps 20+ feet through the air to flying dragon kick some nigga in the teeth outta nowhere.
>>
Elf trance just gives the benefits of 8 hours sleep, not the benefit of a long rest, right?

So what exactly can an Elf do with the remaining four hours, when they're awake but still long resting?
>>
File: 21023-7291-10784.jpg (21KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
21023-7291-10784.jpg
21KB, 500x384px
>>51008680
>You can refluff the rapier as a saber or whatever.

>refluff the rapier as a saber
>>
>>
>>51008743
Writes shitty elf poetry.

>>51008680
>saber and shield
EVEN WORSE
>>
>>51008747
>>
File: Days Without Jewish Tricks.jpg (21KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
Days Without Jewish Tricks.jpg
21KB, 439x290px
>single ant has CR 0
>half-dragon doesn't change your type from Beast
>at level 2 the Druid is basically invisible, unhittable and deals 21d6 damage on a recharge
>>
>>51008680
if you're a dex fighter don't use a shield.
you picked a shield because it made you better dispite it not making any sence. rapiers were never used with shields. if you went rapier dagger, rapier cloak, rapier buckler you'd be less of a gigantic gaylord.
>>
>>51008673
The moment you act passive aggressive means I can force you to literally eat shit.
>>
>>51008762
>playable revenant
hey that looks pretty co-
oh...it's shit
>>
real reasons to play an armored monk
>challenge snooty noblemen to a horse race
>BUT YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A HORSE
>yeah ill race you on foot you manling faggots
>noblemen take one look at this fatass dwarf in platemail and chuckle, agree to race
>take armor off
>step of the wiiiind motherfuckers
>take all their money
>>
>>51008744
>>51008751
Well, whatever.
Find any sort of way to fluff it up, but there are ways. Rapier+shield makes enough sense, and it's clearly intended to work together with shield unless they were drunk when making it.

>>51008787
>rapier buckler
So, pretty much, rapier+shield? That doesn't even need fluff, as a shield is defined as anything from a tower shield to a buckler.
It's the system's fault if the only sensible choice doesn't make sense. There's almost no point to going rapier+dagger except that you have ready access to drop the rapier, draw another dagger and throw two daggers.
You can ask your DM to homebrew something or fluff something up if you want to make something else more viable. Needlessly hurting your character by making obviously suboptimal choices is like saying 'My character wants to be worse.'
>>
A question here: is the Spell Points variant presented on Dungeon Master's Guide balanced?

Is it worth using?
>>
Is the necromancer school for wizards a meme or will I have fun playing it? I really wanna be this my dudes
>>
>>51008908
No

Give it to sorcerers anyway
>>
>>51008915
If you want to be the lord of the undead you will be disappointed

If you want to play the protagonist of a 2edgy4u harem anime then you are in luck
>>
>>51008908
Spell points matches spell slot progression but gives you way more low-level casts at the cost of a few high-level casts. It makes casters much more versatile. If you understand and accept this, it's fine to use.
>>
>>51007901
>They don't get any significant damage boost beyond level 5, much like barbarian, too.
Both monks and barbarians get small damage improvements as they level, larger damage improvements available from high level subpath abilities, and their main benefit from leveling is increased access to their resource restricted damage bonuses.

>Google wants to identify fireworks and now airplanes.
>>
>>51008906
rapier dagger is spanish fighting style. and it looks cool. it's about roll playing not being effective. the DM isn't going to give you shit you can't handle.

>throw dagger
>tripping strike
>team huddle round your target
>>
File: MockeryTest.png (3MB, 1376x1376px) Image search: [Google]
MockeryTest.png
3MB, 1376x1376px
People of 5.0, is there already agood official/fan splat that let's you play the game as a spelljammer campaign in feel? I mean, it doesnt need to have all the weird bolk of AD&D, just that feeling of space fantasy and exploring the crystal spheres.
>>
>>51008984
no
>>
>have a bunch of fetish friends
>They're all interested in doing a DND game
>I have permission to make it as Magical Realm as possible
I don't even know where to begin.

Is it even worth rationalizing fetishes in the game world? Or should I just treat it like it's normal and not worry about making a big deal of the potential ramifications of having lots of fetishists in a world?
>>
File: homermad.png (489KB, 693x462px) Image search: [Google]
homermad.png
489KB, 693x462px
>>51009004
geddout
>>
>>51009004
>playing a magical realm game
Just fuck each other. Or hire prostitutes if you're not of compatible gender/sexual orientation combos.
>>
>>51009017
It'd be an online game, so unfortunately that's off the table.
>>
>>51008991
Well, fuck me them.

>>51009004
I would say you dont need to make it magical realmy. Actually, make it more vanilla. If you see a thing you think yor players will enjoy, or your players do something realmy, then you just let it happen.
>>
>>51007913
>That's kind of self leading though, isn't it? I mean, that example works, but in the general sense you can't ask questions if you don't know that you don't know.
The DM could also think of things you won't know ahead of time and tell you the things that come up if your passive score in the appropriate skill is high enough.
>>
>>51009049
I'm pretty sure you can hire prostitutes over the internet.
>>
>>51009059
That's a good point. I assume they'll all make awkward jokes about their characters being into fetish stuff and then kind of back off it a little.
>>
>fighting small dragon
>be half-orc
>dragon fucks me up in 1 hit
>relentless endurance
>get up
>second wind
>Crit the dragon with a battleaxe
>every dice is max
>do 36 damage

It didn't kill it but it was the most satisfying shit I've ever done.
>>
>>51008906
Don't listen to the spergs, mechanically rapier shield is fine

You could fluff it as anything you like, I personally like the idea of wrapping a short cape around your arm to serve as a blocking tool (there is plenty of precedent for this) but you can go with literally anything, like a special armored gauntlet, a parrying dagger or anything else as long as it is functionally just a shield
>>
>>51008974
I know this is 5e and sometimes you might want to, say, take a choice which is maybe suboptimal in comparison but provides a different experience and role (Say, playing a sorcerer instead of a wizard. It's not as good, but they have a few unique features a wizard doesn't get) but purposefully giving yourself a direct downgrade is just stupid. ESPECIALLY when you're trying to optimize a suboptimal route, such as a fighter/monk (The problem here is more that a fighter1/wizard would be almost as tanky and yet still have many ways they can control the battlefield, whereas while fighter/monk can do the same by stunning strike, the wizard also gets a load of other wizardly benefits from rituals to more diverse spell selections, so they can choose to use grease or forcecage or stinking cloud or whatever.)

>>51008966
Well, compared to fighter or paladin they don't get anything like +1d8 to every attack or an entire extra attack. Rogue also gets constant sneak attack increases.
The boosts are too minute, such as a 1/10 chance of getting an extra 1d6 or increasing your bonus action's damage from 1d6 to 1d8.
If you were a barbarian using a shield, you would gain much more damage by switching over to rogue at level 6 onwards.
>>
>>51007959
My older brother is a divorced alcoholic who's obsessed with boxing and randomly punches me "because I deserve it" and wants me to punch him "for boxing." Nothing D&D related, and there are never any morals at the end of the story.
>>
>>51008041
>its literally mandatory
>Rerolling bad stats is mandatory.

Nope.

Vou generate your character's six ability scores
randomly. Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of
the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper. Do
this five more times, so that you have six numbers. If
you want to save time or don't like the ide a of randomly
determining ability scores, you can use the following
scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10,8.
Now take your six numbers and write each number
beside one of your character's six abilities to assign
scores to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence,
Wisdom, and Charisma. Afterward, make any changes
to your ability scores as a result of your race choice

No, I'm not going to fix the formatting.
>>
>>51006561
You want that? You want it dont you massive faggot.
I swear if i see one more "we need warlord" i will shank a bitch.
If you want Warlord play Battlemaster as its basically the same class only done for the mechanics of 5e. AND IF thats not fucking enough and you are all "muh healing surges" take 1-3 levels in bard and take the Inspiring Leader feat. Fucking done. You can heal ppl(healing word, cure wounds), you can taunt ppl(vicious mockery), you can command your allies(manuvers and inspiration) and you can still get in there and hit a bitch.
>>
If a creature has a flying speed but does not have the hover ability, does it need to land between rounds? For instance, a player who is a variant tiefling with wings flies straight up 30 feet to cast a spell. Do they fall, or stay aloft?
>>
>>51008164
>>51008240
First off, my suggestion. Fuck ranged, be a wolf totem barbarian with all that beef in melee with you.

Second, Monks want to short rest, Paladins want to long rest, and still get some benefit from a short rest, Rogues don't give a shit (unless they're the caster rogue, then long rests), and they're all going to be stopping to rest often for lack of HP if they're really melee brawling everything.

So whatever you want to do is fine. Hey, roll a druid.
>>
>>51009318
this

if the hobgoblin warlord can get away with being a fighter/bard so can you
>>
Anons? I could use a hand with some homebrewing. See, back in 3.5, Dragon Magazine #328 gave us a Shifter variant called the Saurian Shifters, which were basically the were-dino equivalents of common shifters.

Now, I'm fairly confident that my take on the race is balanced, given I used the Eberron Update shifter as a basis... thing is, isn't that "official" Shifter considered one of the most boring and underpowered official 5e Races so far?

Even if it's not, the Saurian Shifter boosts I have... well, I feel they could be more interesting. Anyone okay with critiquing what I have?
>>
File: 1344401956385.gif (330KB, 271x256px) Image search: [Google]
1344401956385.gif
330KB, 271x256px
How would you counter each class if you were an evil overlord?

>Barbarian - Hold person so his rage subsides. Banishment assuming he has low CHA
>Bard - Zone of silence?
>Cleric - Uncounterable
>Druid -
>Fighter - Hold person again
>Monk - Magic to negate all their dodge, assuming it doesn't rely on DEX throws.
>Paladin - Why counter a class that will allow the BBEG to get away?
>Rogue - Bright light everywhere
>Sorcerer - Counterspell
>Warlock - Counterspell
>Wizard - Counterspell
>>
>>51008677
Also, a cleric spell *without* material components requires them to stow their weapon or shield to cast it. For example, Cure Wounds requires you to touch the recipient and is V, S only. You can't just bop them with your shield (or weapon) to cure them. No rock of healing or Healing Shiv here. Still highly technical and mostly ignorable minutia.
>>
>>51009342
They stay afloat unless the ability somehow specifies that they must land in between rounds.
Hover prevents you from falling to the ground when CC'd in midair.
>>
>>51008041
What's the point of rolling, then, if you're just going to keep rolling until you get the stats you want?
>>
>>51008942
>>51008916
It also makes tracking spells remaining a little bit more fiddly, but that suits the sorcerer-of-spreadsheets also.
>>
>>51008743
>Trance gives the benefits of 8 hours of sleep
>long rest is 8 hours of sleep
>>
>>51009453
6 hours of sleep and 2 of standing around, actually
>>
>>51009116
They get boosts like +1 damage on all your attacks and being able to rage/flurry+stun more often. It's subtle, but it adds up.

Okay, it doesn't really add up for the monk who gets a shitty level 20 capstone, but it does for the barbarian.
>>
>>51009421
we were playing it that you reroll automatically if your total modifiers are negative
>>
>>51008743
Talk with the guy on watch.

Prepare spells.

Think about how much of a faggot they are for being a non human.
>>
>>51009318
All I'm saying is that is where room for the warlord is. It is not a fighter subclass, or a bard multiclass.

>>51009361
>if the hobgoblin warlord can get away with being a fighter/bard so can you
>fighter/bard
>implying bards have leadership aka martial bless.
Sorry, bards don't get bless.
>>
>>51008772
>Giving an ant the Ancient Red Dragon's Breath weapon
>Doesn't change CR
>Red Dragon even bothered mating with an ant
>RAW would only give the ant a wyrmling's breath weapon anyway
>>
>>51009387
Cleric: necromantic zone that nullifies all healing
>>
>>51009544
Point is Druids are bullshit
>>
>>51009543
ah ye cleric then
>>
>>51009387
>General tactics: Split the party.
>Melee Characters (GWM fighter/Paladin/Barbarian/Monk): Fight at range.
>Barbarian: Ignore them / int/wis/cha saves. Put any sort of challenge that can't be solved with brute force up. Fly.
>Casters: Counterspell (Kinda boring, and can get counter-counterspelled) / Silence / Let them waste spells
>Bard: Kinda hard to specifically counter since they're all-rounded.
>Cleric: Try to convince them their god is speaking to them through mindfuckery. Don't give them a chance to buff before a fight.
>Healers: Chill Touch.
>Tanks (Moon druid/Barbarian/Swordandboarders): Ignore them.
>Druid: Keep natural things out. Have spells that affect animals.
>Fighter: Put any sort of challenge that can't be solved through brute force up. Have high ACs, prone the fighter or whatever or take advantage of the fact they're one of the slowest martials.
>Monk: Stun resistance. Don't fire projectiles at them. Also, focus them because they don't tend to be awfully tough yet tend to get into melee and make themselves good targets. Lots of light for shadow monks.
>Paladin: Try not to cry. Cry anyway, you're fucked.
Rogue/Ranger: Wide open playing fields, make it hard for the rogue to get sneak attack by avoiding being within 5ft of the party.
>Sorcerer/Wizard/Wizard: Focus them. Get in melee range. Fire off single projectiles to pop the 'shield' spell. Focus whenever they use concentration spells.
>>
File: half-dragon template.png (170KB, 336x426px) Image search: [Google]
half-dragon template.png
170KB, 336x426px
>>51009544
Ant wouldn't have ancient's breath weapon, only wyrmlings :^)
>>
>>51009505
It'd be still insanely boring if you got 10/10/10/10/10/10 or heck even 13/13/13/13/13/13. Sure, on that second one you could be a normal human and get +2 modifier to every single stat, but... It'd be boring as fuck, and only a +2 modifier to your core stats isn't very helpful.

Still, if somebody does have extremely badstats such as a negative modifier overall then I can agree that deserves a reroll. You can still get worse than standard array with that easily, however, and that will still fuck people over, just not to such an extreme extent.
>>
Is it possible to be something like a volcano druid from diablo 2? or should I just be a sorceror if I wanna be a fire throwing faggot.
>>
>>51009544
>>51009608
whoops misread/quoted
>>
My character got rotting gaze as of late what is the best way to use it out of combat.
>>
File: IMG_3914.gif (214KB, 274x249px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3914.gif
214KB, 274x249px
>>51009343
>wolf totem barb
oh

oh my
>>
File: aqww.png (23KB, 458x451px) Image search: [Google]
aqww.png
23KB, 458x451px
>>51009641
>sister is an RP fag
>she never played DnD before
>invite her to join my next session
>decide i dont want to bother with point buy and just let her roll stats
>stats by the end are 16/19/18/13/18/13

Well, should let a new player have fun I suppose.
>>
I find that most of the people in my games who want to play dragonborn want to have a draconic parent, as opposed to two dragonborn parents. As a DM I personally like that a lot better, as it's easier to introduce weird family issues.

Is this a common desire for players, or do I just play with weird people? If it's common I'm going to make that explicitly an option in my setting, just to make things a bit easier.
>>
>>51007959
I have a DM that's pretty bad.
>gives players horrendously powerful crap just to keep em from recognizing how shit the campaign is, particularly his butt buddy
>shit like a fucking pet wyvern
>gives animal handling proficiency for riding the thing for 5 minutes, less probably
>just has us auto travel in a "caravan" read: Tardis carriage pulled by some horses that go "50 mph"
>as such there is no exploration at all and not even a need to eat fucking food
>constantly breaks all sense of theming by having idiotic 'joke' NPCs
>describes fucking nothing at all
>no map so I'm constantly left unsure as to where the fuck I am, both in combat and in adventuring
>every single environment is either blank or "standard" whatever that means
>shit like giant cities not having a sewer system but not a single remark about smell or filth
>almost completely ignores the DMG except for when he sees something shiny
>like the FUCKING BOOK OF VILE FUCKING DARKNESS JUST LYING ABOUT IN A RANDOM TOWN
>constantly takes away sense of freedom by just having PCs do shit he wants
>also by never giving any money so we can't buy shit ever
>has crit fails
I'm starting my own campaign and he wants to join. Hearing from others that play with him makes it sound like he won't stop this kind of dumb shit even as a player. Fucking hell, its just so goddamned boring. There is no exploration or investigation at all, its just handed to us and combat is always just close distance and let dice fall.
>>
just made my first 5e char after playing 3.5 for 4 years. Fucking Warlocks are rad dude, I have 13 spells at lvl 3, 7 of which I can cast for free
>>
>>51009723
Hello, have you heard of our lord and savior, standard array?
>>
File: WS120499.jpg (44KB, 339x486px) Image search: [Google]
WS120499.jpg
44KB, 339x486px
Calling all Rogues with actual play experience.

How often do you get your sneak attack bonus? Obviously you want it on every attack, but I'm wondering how frequently you actually manage to get it vs how often you settle for a non-sneak Attack. Is it easier for a ranged Rogue than a melee one?
>>
>>51009807
5e is th age o the Charisma master race
>>
>>51009723
>+4 to dex/con/wis
You could have prevented this
Why didn't you listen
roll in order
>>
>>51009808
I'm quite fond of 2d6+6 in order, and you can sub in a 16 for any one stat. You won't get stuck with an extremely low score, you'll have at least one very good stat, and you might get some numbers you didn't expect and wouldn't have picked to inspire you to develop your character in a different direction.
>>
File: many thumbs.gif (3MB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
many thumbs.gif
3MB, 220x220px
>>51009839
>rolled 8/8/8/6 (18) on one of my ability rolls
>+Tiefling CHA bonus
>mfw 20 CHA
>>
Reasons to be a STR based Fighter instead of a DEX based one?
>>
>>51009543
If you can achieve the same result with multiclassing you do not need new archetype/class.
And now if you take you look at all the homebrew warlords that have poped up on this general that "emulated the 4th ed warlord" you will see that all of them are just overpowered Battlemaster. The warlord was my favorite class in 4e and the one that i've spend most time playing and each time someone says "we need warlord" I start to hate it a little bit. What do you want to achieve with it ?
>>
>>51009387
I think you need to consider staying away from meta stuff. The best solution is probably a bunch of mooks.
>>
>>51009004
When you insert it make it as legitimate and straight-faced as possible. The amazonian tribe that reproduces by way of spontaneous futanari? Play them just like all other barbarian tribes, bringing up courtship only as a fluff thing that they see going through their village.
The cave of ropers? Started off as a legitimate trap before the eromancer fucked everything up.
And remember, everyone is attractive unless its someone's fetish that they're not.
>>
>>51009943
>mooks

Do you mean just sheer numbers.
>>
>>51009387
>>Paladin - Why counter a class that will allow the BBEG to get away?
This is why we vengeance paladin.
>>
>>51008294
meaning?
>>
Why do Morningstars do 1d8 instead of 2d4, one for Bang and one for Pokey? Would you use Morningstar stats for a Nail Bat? Is a Nail Bat a Simple or Martial weapon? If I have a Ghostwood Bat and Ironwood Nails what happens when I cast Shillelagh? If I wind up Gnomer's Unbreakable Gluing a Dagger to a Club can I they both be enchanted with different enchants, like if the Club is enchanted to burn in the shape of a cross and the dagger is enchanted to asphyxiate Niggers does swatting a jigaboo with it cause them to both burn and start choking on the phantom noose?
>>
>>51009788
It's probably a common desire, these are weird people and it's up to you whether you want to cater to their desires or not.
>>
>>51009813
Every time
The first turn you will usually be sneaking around and therefore will get a surprise sneak attack
After that there are 1001 ways to get advantage, and when you can't get it chances are there will be one of your allies next to the enemy so you get it anyway
>>
File: 147226741.jpg (77KB, 661x495px) Image search: [Google]
147226741.jpg
77KB, 661x495px
>>51009788
>I find that most of the people in my games who want to play dragonborn are degenerate furries from broken families

ftfy
>>
>>51009911
Reach weapons. Heavy weapons. Feats that enhance those.

You already have heavy armor proficiency, so Str instead of Dex only costs you some initiative and some common saving throw bonuses, but you gain options and damage.
>>
>>51010037
That's a real possibility.

>>51010011
It's both common and weird. I can actually believe that.

I think I'll add it, since it's a nice bit of flavor. But I won't require it.
>>
>>51006494
I'd say war cleric is closer.
Or refluff a valor bard.
>>
>>51010037
ebin

have an upboat XD
>>
>>51009967
Yep, even low level monsters (goblins) can be very dangerous to even high level characters. Especially in ambush.

Couple of hundred goblins? No problem.

You don't need to make them super smart or anything, just have a competent leader in charge.

I really think that is more realistic and keeping in line with the standard themes you see. You might end up with the players actually trying to go around the bad guys troops instead of just trying to blow through them.
>>
>>51009911
>grappling
>easy AC stacking
>shoving
>lifting and carrying
>shield bashing
>great weapon fighting
>improvised weapons
>defenestrating
>dismembering
>intimidating

Etc. Etc.
>>
>>51009931
>A warlord would be like a cleric with an emphasis on short rest resources.
Is there any short rest emphasized healer? The healing still has to be limited per day, but I mean whatever class resources they use would be slanted towards short rest recharge.
>>
>>51010063
>implying hand crossbow fighter doesn't trump every other fighter option
>>
>>51009911
>dex
You will be either rapier+shield, handcrossbow or longbow.
>str
You will be either pike or greatsword.

DEX
Dex saves, initiative, stealth, armour choice.
>rapier+shield
+2 AC. Works with BB/GFB for EK. Good for multiclassing. Works with duelling. Weak damage, but can be good for tanking.
>hand crossbow
Requires two feats: Sharpshooter and crossbow mastery. Great damage at a safe distance and works in melee combat too, leaves you with a hand free.
>longbow
Requires one feat: Sharpshooter. Weaker than hand crossbow for damage, but less demanding. Disadvantage within 5ft, may want to switch out for two-weapon-fighting at close range. Leaves your bonus actions free.

STR
Grapples, Heavy Armour.
>greatsword
Required feats: GWM. Sentinel is also a worth considering. Even better damage than handcrossbow, but you cannot gaurantee your bonus action attack. Requires you to be in melee range, however, so you might not always get to attack and might have to dash or dodge and waste that turn. Sentinel may sometimes give you an extra attack and/or prevent an enemy from running past.
>polearm
Required feats: PAM and GWM. Also consider: Sentinel. Gives you very frequent bonus AND reaction attacks. You can either go quarterstaff+duelling+shield for 1d6+2 +2 AC and shillelagh compatibility or go for a pike or such for 1d10, reach, and a different fighting style. Gives you the most attacks of anyone, but melee range only. Sentinel can stop enemies from moving within 5ft of you.
>>
>>51009723
>implying you are going to notice that the newby player has slightly higher dump stats
>>
>>51009803
invite him over for a long session. kill him off with poison right away. force him to watch you DM well.
>>
>>51006419

I dunno I like rolling stats.

If I roll high, yea
If I roll mediocare, okay
If I roll low, that means I gotta work twice as hard to help the party and that's a fun challenge to me
>>
>>51010093
Yes, bards and clerics are in the same role as the warlord. The fighter isn't.
>>
>>51007994
Ooh, I don't like that. The one we have is nice and ghosty, if a bit underpowered. This one is too zombie-themed.
>>
>>51010122
>>51009911
There are other builds, but those are the main ones.

Also, in more detail:
DEX gives dex saves. These are far more common/important than strength saves, generally.
DEX gives stealth. It's an important skill.
DEX gives access to a wider range of armour. With 20 dex, you can freely wear light armour for 17 AC with no stealth disadvantage compared to plate armour at 18 AC with stealth disadvantage. at 18 dex and below you can wear a breastplate for 16 AC and no stealth disadvantage.
You can still wear heavy armour with dex, either by slowing yourself 10ft or by taking at least 15 in strength. However, this incurs slight MADness.
Also, lastly, fighters already have str and con save throw proficiency. You can get dex save proficiency along with +1 dex with an ASI, good if your dex is an odd number.
Dex is also good if you want to pick, say, a halfling.

>STR
Heavy armour for +1 AC and possibility of Heavy Armour Mastery. Gives better athletics for grapples and some other athletic stuff. In strict encumberance games, strength helps carry stuff. Otherwise, not quite so great.
Incompatible with small races unless you go quarterstaff+shield.
Does allow for half-orc or that sort of thing.
>>
How cool is a dual scimitar wielding arabian bandit?
>>
>>51009950
I like this approach. Although I'll be honest, we're into diapers, so it'll probably just be us making jokes out of them wetting their diapers in terror or needing a change after a tough battle.

That being said, I see no reason why what you said can't apply. I'm not trying for them to have sex RP during the game, but going to the local shop to restock on diapers, which inexplicably are available in every town sounds great.
>>
>>51010176
This is the cuck mentality.
Why don't you just play a Dragonborn Wot4E Monk with Dex and Wis as dump stats?
>>
>>51010196
>dual-wielding
gay
>a bandit who doesn't sell extra swords for more dosh
gayer
>>
>>51010173
Problem with that is threefold
1)I'm new to GMing so while I highly doubt I'll be worse than him I'm not sure if i'd be good enough to show off
2)I don't want the other players to get the wrong idea (despite us all knowing each other I doubt that will comfort them very much)
3)one of the players I want is a 3.5 fag but knows his stuff and is fun to be around but he and the 5e guy hate each other because the 3.5 GM'd for a bit and his players hated when the 5e GM sat in for a session so they didn't want him playing when he asked. 5e, being an asshole, attributed this entirely to the 3.5 gm (revealing just how shit he is at understanding entertaining players and understanding a GM's role)
>>
>>51010192
>>51009911
Fuck I forgot to mention

>DEX gives initiative
>DEX is good for sword-and-boarding into rogue
>DEX is good for a single level dip of barbarian which may grant you unarmoured defence for up to 20 AC without a shield, 22 AC with
>STR is good for multiclassing a dip into barbarian for +2 on every attack with rage, highly recommendable for the PAM set-up

And lastly
>It's possible to be a WIS or CHA based fighter with shillelagh shenangians. Most likely a warlock3/EK7 using eldritch blasts and shillelagh or something stupid.

With this, you should hopefully have been sufficiently educated on metagaming with fighters.
>>
File: why.gif (2MB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
2MB, 384x216px
>>51010199
I had the wrong Webm last time, sorry.
>>
>>51010199
>diapers
forget it you're beyond hope
As bad as scat which is as bad as NTR
>>
File: 1397398122978.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1397398122978.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>51010199

Nigga what?
>>
File: 1430330035644.png (97KB, 259x240px) Image search: [Google]
1430330035644.png
97KB, 259x240px
>>51010199
>>
>>51010118
yes there is
any class with the Healer feat. Hell the Thief Rogue can do it as bonus action during combat
You want more? Bard's Song of Rest which again points towards Battlemaster/Bard multiclass.
You want something else? Every class with cure wounds that have taken 2 levels of warlock.
>>
>>51010216

I've played a Commoner NPC class before and enjoyed it debate me
>>
>>51010199
>I like this approach. Although I'll be honest, we're into tiles, so it'll probably just be us making jokes out of them getting dirt in their grout and needing a wash after a tough battle.

>That being said, I see no reason why what you said can't apply. I'm not trying for them to have sex RP during the game, but going to the local shop to restock on glazes and substrate, which inexplicably are available in every town sounds great.
Fucking deviants
>>
>>51008134
>>51008156
>>51008172
It seemed really simple to me, and I always prefer number crunching to just deciding or doing a d20 table. I forgot to mention that if you don't meet or go over the limb HP, you only do normal crit damage. I'm not expecting anyone to keep track of limb damage.

I'm making this partly because my players have tried to dismember people more often than you would expect, and I've felt bad just telling them they can't unless it's a coup de grace.
>>
Why do people in /5eg/ seems to forget that you get +CHA to damage on EACH BEAM of eldritch blast?
>>
>>51010307
I ask for a support class who uses short rest instead of long rest resources, disregarding the limit on their healing, and you give me healing abilities on a short rest recharge. Gold star for epicly missing the point.

Currently, Greater Restoration is available to Clerics, Druids, and Bards. All these classes also got Healing Word, the ability to rouse a 0 HP PC with a bonus action. These classes can fill the leader role. All these classes rely heavily on long rest resources. There is room for a leader class that leans more on short rest resources. That's the open mechanical niche.
>>
>>51010492
>Greater Restoration

Talking of greater restoration. Does anyone else find it annoying that it basically cures everything?

Cursed items, magical diseases, any kind of debuff.

Its like theres no consequences in this game.
>>
>>51010428
>using eldrich blast
>not going based pact of the tome and swapping it out for fireblast
>mfw i know it's bad but fireblast is cooler and leaves me a slot for an extra utility spell
>meme arrows
>>
>>51010532
There have always been spells to remove all sorts of things and one spell that gets rid of basically everything. High level magic is all about telling consequences to fuck off.
>>
File: 1439754194529.gif (565KB, 275x288px) Image search: [Google]
1439754194529.gif
565KB, 275x288px
In SCAG, the warlock The Undying patron says:

>Starting at 1st level, you learn the spare the dying cantrip, which counts as a warlock cantrip for you.

Is this some sort of weird type/oversight, or does "counts as a warlock cantrip" actually mean something that I've missed? Surely it's not saying that it counts against my normal cantrips known... right?

Second question: roleplaying advice for a UA Undying Light warlock, if I don't want to just spout dark souls memes for four hours every session?

Third question: how shitty is bladelock, anyways? On the spectrum of "totally useless, enjoy RPing your zero damage" to "good enough that it's viable if you think it's cool enough to warrant doing less damage".

Fourth question: which patron do you recommend? This will be my first time playing DnD (I DMed for the starter set and we're rotating for this next campaign)
>>
I'm considering putting a bunch of my home-made monsters up on the DM's guild, because I'm unemployed and bored. Will anyone look twice at a monster supplement without decent art? I'm guessing not.

Also, what do people want, in CR ranges, types that sort of stuff? I like dumb gimmick monsters, but that's because I'm a horrible DM.
>>
>>51010598
>does "counts as a warlock cantrip" actually mean something

Warlocks have the ability to cast warlock spells and cantrips. If it were a programmed game, I could see it mattering. If you have a patron ability that works when you cast a warlock spell, or a multiclassed cleric ability that works when you cast a cleric spell, then it matters there too. I don't think there's any circumstance where it means anything right now.
>>
Is a straight non-multiclassed warlock good, or should I just play a wizard if I don't want to do multiclass shenanigans?
>>
>>51010598
>Third question:
Less damage than Eldritch Blast, with Agonizing Blast and Hex, after level 11 if you go Str, is a pretty high bar to fall under. You'll still do fine, if that's what you want to do.
>>
>>51010574
>High level magic is all about telling consequences to fuck off.

Yeah boring eh?
>>
>>51010686
It's fine, and can be fun if you're not in a party full of munchkins.
>>
File: pls_no_i_am_a_kitty.jpg (142KB, 567x437px) Image search: [Google]
pls_no_i_am_a_kitty.jpg
142KB, 567x437px
>>51010256
Nope, forgot one more thing

>The archery fighting style is by far the best. Better than GWF and duelling. More reason to go DEX.

Then I could probably also go into the strict mathematics of GWM versus Sharpshooter, but the dealio is that while GWM grants a possible bonus action, sharpshooter's +10 damage ability is more useful because you can use it on a hand crossbow which will be 1d6+10 with decreased chance rather than 2d6+10 with decreased chance, Which is roughly a (0.25*3.5) or 1 damage difference in the increase in damage due to the +10 damage.

Yeah, okay, I'm done now. Personally I think both ranged and melee have their points, which is actually down to melee having a bit more damage and being able to fuck up enemies with a reaction and ranged being more versatile allowing hit-and-run tactics, denying enemies the potential to fight in melee and some other nice utility to it.

>>51010686
It's definitely playable, but if you want to be good without multiclassing you should go wizard.

>>51010428
Most people seem to remember it, it's just they then try to make bladelock viable for some reason.

>>51010568
>Get out.
>>
>>51010568
> like 80% of the monster are resistance to fire or outright immune to fire
> only 1 is immune to force. 0 resist.
> firebolt damage increase by 1d10 every tier. EB damage increase by 1d10+CHA every tier
> wasting you cantrip slot on damage instead of shape water, prestidigitation or guidance
>>
>>51010748
What's the best way to multiclass warlocks then, out of curiosity?
>>
>>51010241
>>51010265
>>51010277
>>51010283
>>51010287
>>51010344
Eh, I don't really feel any shame about it. I keep it private between myself and my boyfriend and our online friends. It's a fetish, I don't expect anyone to understand it or empathize with it.

I was just looking for some advice because I have no experience running games where sexual themes even take place. Although, practically speaking, because of the nature of diaper fetishes, I'm expecting this is going to be less "having sex all the time" and more "I'm peeing my pants."
>>
File: Robin-Hood-Men-Tights.jpg (97KB, 720x424px) Image search: [Google]
Robin-Hood-Men-Tights.jpg
97KB, 720x424px
>>51010428
Do they? I think everyone knows that Eldritch Blast is a bit tasty. Some people would like it to be weaker, I think. I know a couple of GMs who hate that the Warlock can be just as good as an Archer Fighter with one cantrip and still be a full caster.

They're wrong, of course. Archer Battlemaster Fighter wrecks everything ever. But they still hate it. After playing a Warlock to 13th level I got pretty bored of it as well.
>>
>>51008568
Are you implying your dipshit fighter boy with a chain shirt, a store bought longsword, seven days of rations and ten gold coins to his name isn't a zero?
>>
>>51009387

Oh, I fantasize about this all the time. Want to kill my party hard

Druid goes fire elemental next to the paladin and the fighter. Wall of Force causes them to asfixiate as the fire form burns all the oxygen out
>>
>>51006384
>Which class would you add to 5e? Keep in mind that psionics are already returning to DnD in shape of mysics, and a lot of character concepts are subclasses now.
Some sort of crafting or tinkering class like alchemist or artificer.
>>
>>51010428
most people in /5eg/ don't play campaigns that get past level 4
>>
>>51009598
> Fly.
barbarians can fly and still throw axes/javelins
>>
>>51010598
Bladelock fills a specific niche that favoured soul sorcerer does better. That niche also doesn't really need filling when you have a party that can have a fighter AND a caster if you really insist on having both somebody who can hit things and somebody who can cast spells.

Bladelock is mostly just 'Hey, look, I COULD be a warlock, or I could throw some of my options in the bin and do the same thing worse, but cooler!'
If you don't multiclass with bladelock, you WILL die, due to survivability.

>>51010788
They have compatibility for abjuration wizards, sorcerers, paladins and EKs more than anything.

Sorlock expands on warlock's main role and turns them into a true ranged spam blaster that works on keeping enemies away. A bit of a one-trick-pony.
Abjuration Wizardlock is just a fun 'Diplomatic Immunity' style where you walk through into melee and anybody who tries to melee you instantly regrets it. Another sort of one-trick-pony that's not as useful, but with more other benefits than sorlock.
Palock is simply about eliminating the MADness of Paladin so you can rely solely on charisma. The main problem is delaying progression, but post level 11 until level 19 it's fucking great. Before that it's still a valid choice.
EKs are kind of a fun thing where you can use your eldritch blasts alongside more tankiness and a bonus attack every turn. Kinda meh since you could use that bonus for hex or something, but whatever, you have armour.
>>
>>51010788
For bladelock? Paladin 2. Heavy armor, Greatsword, Cure and Divine Smite on short rest enhance gish concept a lot.
>>
>>51010686
Nearly all options are good
Every option is at least mostly viable

The only thing -really- holding back Warlock is most parties don't constantly take short rests.
>>
My character uses a rapier and a shield what the fuck are you people talking about
Swords aren't even primary weapons but every martial character I've played used some kind of sword as their primary weapon, DnD is not historically accurate. I take Tavern Brawler and Dual Wielder as feats so I can dual wield shields and run around whacking and thwacking every enemy in sight with my double shields and +3 AC if I feel like it.
>>
>>51010492
*pointing at battlemaster intensifies*
Lets take 6th level battlemaster with Healer and Inspiring Leader and lets say his charisma modifier is +2. So thats 1d6+10 HP and 8 temp HP per short rest. Along side that you can for example distract with one of your attacks and command with your second your rogue/raging barbarian/sharpshooter ranger setting them up for the perfect strike. Or you can rally them or you can manuver your squishies out of harms way. All of this on a short rest. Is this not enough? How about 2 to levels of bard so at level 8 you can heal for 2d6+12 HP + 10 temp HP. If this is not enough and you think manuvers are weak nothing will be.
>>
>>51010859
I meant to put
>fly
On the melee users bit.
Even if they can throw, throwing deals generally less damage (Can't throw big weapons effectively, switching weapons a lot, can't use GWM/PAM with it, can't use rage damage) and all that. Also limited range.
Also, the only barbarians that can fly have limited flight capability and only get it at about level 14, and sacrifice much cooler options such as resistance to pretty much everything and granting every melee person advantage.

>>51010873
>>51010788
Oh, just realized
>sorlock is probably Warlock2/SorcererX maybe a fighter2 if you're drunk for a limit break
>Abjuration Wizardlock is a Warlock1/WizardX though you could pump Warlock up to 2 for EB cantrips
>Palock is Warlock3/PaladinX though you could pump it to 4 or 5 for a feat or level 3 spells and invocation and all that
>ChaEK is Warlock2/FighterX or maybe if you're seriously, seriously drunk you might throw it to Warlock2/Fighter7/RogueX and try to sneak attack with your bonus attack every turn

Basically they're all dips into warlock.
>>
>>51010783
Fire is cool lad what can i say?
>>
>>51010788
Fighter 1/Warlock X with Great Weapon Fighting, Polearm Master and Hex gets you a decent amount of damage. Your d10/d4 and d6 damage both benefit from Great Weapon Fighting.

If you combine that with Darkness and Devil's Sight shenanigans, then you can get Advantage reliably and get the Great Weapon Master feat as well, striking for +10 damage on each hit with reasonable reliability.

You could also go deeper into Fighter to get some EK stuff, which has already been mentioned.
>>
What would you houserule to make Bladelock more viable?

Or to give Warlock a little push so it's more than a dip class?
>>
>>51010956
Force is cooler. Starwar fan would agree.
>>
>>51010794
So what, are the characters just going to be in diapers? That's it?

That sounds boring.
>>
>>51010971
Give it +CHA to damage earlier. Maybe level 7 of something.
>>
What is the best class for being a blank slate and allowing a wide range of customization while playing?

I was thinking Fighter due to the most feats and then maybe Battle Master and fluffing the maneuvers to different kinds of abilities, not just being tactical and shit.
>>
>>51010971
I wouldn't, personally. Bladelock is decent. Blastlock is very good, but it's probably a mistake to rebalance while focused exclusively on the most powerful options in the game.

Single class Warlock is still excellent. Level 13 Booklock blaster here.
>>
>>51011023
That could work. Between the Bladelock and the Bladesinger, WotC seem to think that two stats being added to the same damage roll is very powerful. Maybe it is, but it feels odd. You're hardly going to get your secondary stat all that high at low levels.
>>
>>51010938
No healing word. No restoration/G. restoration sucks too. You can't heal like a leader or remove debilitating effects like a leader. The battle master is not in the same category as the bard, druid, and cleric.
>>
>>51011029
Rogue, they get extra ASIS and have the best abilities of the pure martials. Go Thief to gain the ability to cast from spell scrolls.
Fighter is literally just 'I hit it a lot' The Class. Even at 20th level the only thing they can do is hit things.
>>
>>51010783
>>51010748
>>51011004
(idk if you're all the samefag or not)
btw isn't the +CHA bonus only if you pick a certain feat or invocation? The actual spell description doesn't say anything about it, so I'd be tempted just to stick with fireblast to fit my char's aesthetic because our dm tends to forget about resistances and immunities
>>
Rogue for using skills and the fact you can fight in both melee and ranged effectively, or maybe wizard for being able to swap out spells all the time.

However, if you don't want versatility but instead the ability to change the direction in which you're going as you level up, maybe some sort of multiclass where you could at any time level one or the other, like palock or barbarogue where you also have archetype sorts of choices along the way, too.
>>
>>51011132
It's a practically mandatory invocation unless you're doing some weird shit that already has an on-par attack (Say, a multiclass). It also gives you access to an invocation that pushes enemies back, which is great.

You should have gone undying light warlock, multiclassed for melee survivability and gotten GFB if you wanted fire that badly.
>>
>>51011146
>>51011029
Whoops, failed to link.
>>
>>51011121
It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's more like a paladin playing party healer. They're still going to smite evil.
>>
File: 1474666360372.jpg (1MB, 1812x1295px) Image search: [Google]
1474666360372.jpg
1MB, 1812x1295px
My next dungeon has some time fuckery stuff going on, so I want to do some crazy shit with the final battle. I'm thinking of having the final boss be level 10 or so (the PCs are level 2), but he's steadily growing younger during the fight and losing levels. Meanwhile, the players are gaining (temporary) levels until they just about even out.

Good idea or no? My alternate idea was to generate level 15-20 versions of their PCs and just have the time fuckery accelerate them to Ultimate Life Form status for a curbstomp against the level 10 boss.
>>
File: Marilith.jpg (55KB, 359x453px) Image search: [Google]
Marilith.jpg
55KB, 359x453px
>>51010634
Well, no-one responds to a post on 4chan without an image, at least.

Thinking about CR: did people like what 4e did by having stronger and weaker versions of essentially the same monster?
>>
>>51011219
that sounds like a horrible idea

you're gonna make me learn and keep track of multiple levels worth of my character without warning AND then you're going to take them away later?
>>
>>51011179
hate to burst the /tg/ bubble but I really don't give a shit about how useful I am in combat, I'd rather just do cool shit and being a fiery tiefling warlock from the desert is way more fun to me than adding my charisma bonus.

I'll consider it but I like the invocations i have now, I might take it when I level up (we haven't actually started playing yet, fresh character)
>>
>>51010185
The Undying pact doesn't really specify what flavor of undeath it is so I made due with what I had.
>>
>>51011219
That'll be really, seriously confusing when you try to give them higher level abilities, like you wouldn't even believe. If you want that confusion to be a part of it, sure, but at least the casters will be stumbling over pages of things they may or may not know.

Why are level 2s and a level 10 getting involved with the highest levels of magic? Though, really, you should aim for CR instead of levels for enemies. Probably.
>>
>>51011256
It's kind of a big deal when you only have a few spell slots and you can only do 1d10 damage at a time aside from that.

I mean, seriously, the rogue will do more damage than you without even sneak attacking. Even a monk with bad stats (one of the most unfun things to play) would be doing more damage.

Being relevant is part of having fun.
>>
>>51011219
sounds like a trainwreck man, points for the idea though, good to see you're trying to do something off the wall
>>
>>51011236
>>51011266

I was thinking of just literally handing them new character sheets for the last battle as they are infused with power and knowledge from the future.

After they win, the distortion ends and they return to level 2.

It'd be a "taste of power" thing since most of them are complete newbies. And time fuckery is a big part of the overall story I'm telling, so this is an introduction to that too.
>>
>>51011285
>Being relevant is part of having fun
honestly not for me, i swear, i couldn't give 2 shits about combat, if it were up to me we'd be playing a game with either no combat, or more interesting combat.
>>
>>51011314
Then 5e would do better for you than something like pathfinder.

If the DM spices things up correctly, combat won't just be a contest of numbers but where players work together to pull off objectives mid-combat such as 'keep the Orcs from crossing the bridge' rather than just 'kill everything'.

Of course, it's easier to do some of these things when you take the best options given to you. Eldritch blast could very well be refluffed as a sort of firey bolt. Heck, if you want, you can even ask if you can do fire damage instead and even if you don't then get the invocation it's still better because you can make seperate attacks with it.
>>
>>51011225
I never played 4e but I would like it. Means I can introduce something without half the party going down because it looks unassuming. Also I want differing gnolls because female hyenas and such. If it didn't stop them from making more creatures there is zero issue with giving more options to GMs without making them work for it.
>>
>>51011121
So not warlord but a different animal?
>>
>>51011403
Maybe. I don't know. I know the hole is there, but I don't know what has to fill it.
>>
>>51011370
>because you can make seperate attacks with it.
what do you mean by this? forgive me, I haven't actually read the combat section yet for obvious reasons, i haven't got to grips yet with what is a free action/bonus action/standard action/etc.

Now you say it I might reskin it as like, white fire. my patron is a sort of white devil from the void that's called an 'Omen'(pic related (my dm has made a lot of lore stuff for us to go off)), could be cool to have unholy white fire as my eldritch blast
>>
File: armorlady.png (985KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
armorlady.png
985KB, 730x1095px
Do any of the UA Beastmaster features apply to their beast such as Advantage on Initiative or Hunter's Mark?
>>
>>51011556
Not by RAW, no, just Favored Enemy and Greater Favored Enemy.
>>
>>51011445
As you level up, your eldritch blast splits to 2 then 3 and eventually 4 separate beams that all deal the same amount of damage.

And yeah if I was your DM I would totally let you reskin Eldritch Blast like that. And be especially happy you read my setting notes.
>>
>>51011436
Now I get you. Warlord was always about being close and personal, hitting stuff harder and letting you hit even harder. Which battelmaster does. But I can understand wanting support leader. Here is a simple thing that can be done, add manuever to the battlemaster that lets ppl make save imidiatly while adding the superiority die to it. It is quite powerful though.
Otherwise there needs to be complete new class for what you want. But it wont work well. 5e is designed in such way that every class can survive on its own. Take 4 paladins/rangers/fighters/clerics in a dungeon and they will do just fine. Things like leader, defender,contoller, etc. are not needed
>>
>>51011586
You've convinced me, I'll do it, for the simple reason that white unholy fire is cooler than red mundane fire.

Yeah I love lore stuff with D&D, as memey as our sessions are, the worlds are always cool. I started playing 4 years ago and I was the original DM, I wrote a lot of lore (I think i enjoyed it more than playing desu) and we played that setting until now. It wouldn't be right for me to ask my players to read my lore and not read theirs in return.
>>
>>51006740
/k/ here, I'm so fucking triggered by that crossbow
>>
>>51011720
it's magnets and/or magic
>>
>>51011225
5e does do that with a lot of monsters, especially humanoids and dragons. 5e doesn't need it to the same degree that 4e did because in 5e something can still be relevant even at very low CR, and something can still be beatable even at very high CR. In 4e you had to stick to a very narrow level range for monsters to be relevant but beatable.
>>
>>51006384
where my forever DMs at

>you'll never have your own character to be proud of
>>
File: jh.jpg (87KB, 200x347px) Image search: [Google]
jh.jpg
87KB, 200x347px
>>51012257
I'm a forever DM.

I like it better that way. I like to be a manager, not a team member.
>>
>>51011556

>>Armorlesbian.png
>>
Isnt Booming blade cantrip bit OP? Also, can you combine it with Shillelagh?

>>51009813
Not exactly every attack, but close enough to it.

>>51009788
I find that most of the people in my games who want to play dragonborn want to have +2 strength.

>>51009096
Nice!
>>
I want to do a battlemaster fighter with precision attack for the -5 roll/+10 attack. My 2 feats will be either crossbow mastery and sharpshooter, or great weapon master and polearm master. I really want to optimize combat this campaign, which would you recommend?

Also worth mentioning, my DM prefers more feats in his campaign as he believes it adds more variety and flavor. After my main 2 feats depending on which I go with, what would you recommend off this list? Or even the official list? Sentinel perhaps since my group will have 3 combined melee? I'm pretty sure though the homebrew feats offer stronger options for combat though. We get a feat every 3 levels so as a variant human I would start with 2.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Feats
>>
>>51012422
Booming blade works on any melee weapon. A shillelagh's weapon is no exception.

It's not exactly OP, it just generally enables more playstyles, and mostly gives power to otherwise less powerful builds.

Some of the classes who'd want it most such as cleric require a multiclass into warlock, wizard or sorcerer in order to get BB/GFB. Only cha/int classes have it, though only GFB cares about the spellcasting modifier.

Or else you need magic initiate.

However, booming blade does have good synergy with war caster, though that requires a whole feat and the opportunity.
>>
File: dandwiki.png (330KB, 914x801px) Image search: [Google]
dandwiki.png
330KB, 914x801px
>>51012529
>dandwiki
>>
File: vomitgoose.jpg (50KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
vomitgoose.jpg
50KB, 480x270px
>>51012529
>dandwiki
>>
>>51012529
Dude half of those feats are fucking stupid I would ban the shit out of homebrew feats.
>>
>>51012529
Crossbow mastery+sharpshooter is great if you have an all-ranged team and want to take tactical advantage of that.
It's also great if you don't want to be taking damage yourself, i.e. you have a barbarian on the team.

I'd say GWM and PAM work well if you want damage and protection for teammates. There's not honestly a lot more damage as archery's +2 is a big deal, but there's a little bit more damage when you consider reaction attacks and such. Sentinel would be a good idea to get alongside it as you can stop an enemy at 10ft away from you to really troll them.
PAM+GWM has less tactical flexibility, but puts you as the front liner. If your team has a wolf barbarian, a rogue, a paladin or is kind of mixed in terms of ranged and melee potential, this might be a good option.

If everybody else on the team is melee, you might want to go ranged just for the added versatility since a team without ranged could get stuck if they can't get into range at all or fight flying enemies.

Does the 'feat every 3 levels' rule stack with the level 4 ASIs? Otherwise, it sounds like there'd be problems with that. I assume it isn't.

Give me a moment to check through that wiki link so I can tell you how fucking broken it is and how much of an idiot your DM would be to allow that.
>>
So the gladiator variant for the entertainer background says I can replace the musical instrument in my inventory for an unusual weapon.
Do I still have proficiency with the instrument, even if I don't have it?
>>
>throw wands/scrolls at spellcasters
>they insist on using only their cantrips at every possible moment despite me reminding them of their small magic shop

Is making the fights more difficult the only way to get them to actually make use of their shit?
>>
>>51012666
Starting equipment and starting proficiencies are not the same thing.
>>
>>51012695
Maybe rather than threaten to wipe them, maybe introduce a mission with a time limit, something they could do quickly with scrolls but will lead only to missed opportunity if they don't spend resources.
>>
>>51012695
Some combination of not sending enough encounters per long rest
them just being carried by martials (especially if they have +X swords, whatever)
Encounters not difficult enough/not balanced for magic items
>>
>>51012695
If your players don't use shit that you give them, then they don't need it. Stop throwing shit at them.
>>
>>51007184
Sorry for the absurdly long delay, I kinda forgot about this thread
I didn't have a specific robot master in mind, but frankly more as a general idea.
What comes to mind first and foremost is just referring to themselves by a single adjective or noun, and having one of their hands being replaced by a weapon.
I guess what I'm really asking for is 'themes' to base one off of.
>>
>>51012529
Okay, I've reviewed those feats.
>two-weapon-master feat and extra attacker feat by level 4 because variant human or something, also the fighting style to add dex to your second hit
>+1 AC
>you make an extra attack whenever you take the 'attack' action
>you get an extra attack if you hit with your bonus action two-weapon-fighting attack
>you can choose to take -5 to hit on each attack for +10 to damage
>be level 4
>make 4 fucking +10 damage attacks, each dealing 1d6+DEXMOD as well
>action surge for 6 attacks
>6 fucking attacks at level 4, not even using reactions

There you fucking have it. Go on, do it faggot.
>>
For anyone who has played Storm King's Thunder, is there a lot of gold to go go around during the first half of the adventure?
>>
>>51012695
Have them trying to rescue some civilians. In order to rescue them, they have to do enough damage before the monsters get to the civilians. There's probably some good reason the monsters want to kill the civilians first, maybe the civilians have some important items on them (some anti-monster charms they can use to fight back or something) but they're so squishy the monsters know to take them out first.
Anyway, point being, if they don't use their items then they get to enjoy not doing enough damage to prevent all the civvies dying.
>>
>>51012529

Please either quit immediately or try to make the most overpowered build ever and break the game. There is no in between.

Or, you know, try to have fun, I guess
>>
>>51012827
>>51007184
Or, uh, brainstorming, I guess. The only thing I can really come up with is just a fire-themed one that's a Wizard or Sorcerer.
>>
File: dancingcultist.jpg (41KB, 487x892px) Image search: [Google]
dancingcultist.jpg
41KB, 487x892px
NEW THREAD
HOP ON
>>51012934

>>51012934

>>51012934

>>51012934

>>51012934
>>
>Remove all race ASIs
>All characters get array of 16/16/14/12/10/8

Yay or nay?

...fucking posted this in the wrong thread
>>
>>51009387
>Sorc/Wiz - Counterspell

So long as the Sorc/Wiz is retarded and didn't also take Counterspell.
>>
>>51009543
>Sorry, bards don't get bless.
bards get whatever the fuck they want.
>>
5eg, I'm making tyler durden, which do you think is best, Long Death Monk or Glamour Bard?
>>
>>51010971
I added a melee focused patron. Gels well with the blade pact.
>>
>>51011225
I miss minions. Only time I could wade through an ocean of blood as a martial.
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.