[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 421
Thread images: 40

Otherwordly Edition

>Latest News
No UA until January 9
Paladin UA http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> Last Thread
>>50983581

What kind of relationship does your warlock have with their patron?
>>
remember to read the 4E DMG
>>
l'm new to D&D and l wanna make a Battle Master Fighter. Any interesting character ideas?
>>
>>50997031
The Old Asshole with a Heart of Gold is one I like.
"Shithead kids (read: The Party) are getting into too much trouble. *Someone's* gotta keep them from being stupid."
>>
>>50997057
a tsundere?
>>
>>50997072
I mean if you wanna be a faggot about it, sure.
>>
File: Sad sokka.png (191KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Sad sokka.png
191KB, 600x337px
>>50997031
Be Sokka from A:TLA, he manages to be serious about fighting without being gloomy. Gloomy characters suck
>>
File: 1381956694879.jpg (250KB, 1200x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1381956694879.jpg
250KB, 1200x1350px
>>50997087
>>
I'm about to finish running Lost Mines as my first every campaign.

I'm going to ask my players if they wish to reroll for a new campaign or keep going, but either way I'm thinking of running another prebuilt campaign.

What's the best one published so far?
>>
Can a kind soul post Megaanon's 5e database thing? Got a new PC and my bookmarks are nonexistent now.
>>
>>50997261
Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>50997265
It's in the OP. https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html
>>
>>50997214
Fuck. Thinking about the episode where he learns swordfighting is what made me want to be a fighter in the first place.
>>
>>50997287
Shit, skimmed right over it.
Thanks tho.
>>
>>50997261
Do your players really like dungeons?
Do your players wish that Lost Mines had more dungeons in it?
Do your players wish that Lost Mines had been entirely underground, in dungeons?
If so, consider Princes of the Apocalypse
>>
>>50997343

I think yes, mostly. I'll check it out.
>>
>>50997261
>>50997343
>>50997399
definitely do princes of the apocalypse

i've done several books now and princes is by far the best
>>
>>50997535

Eh? PotA was fine and all, but both CoS and OotA are definitely better. I've not had a chance to play HotDQ or RoT, but I'll be starting SKT soon. Here's hoping SKT becomes my new favorite.
>>
So I've played a lot of pathfinder and various other rpgs but never DnD. My question is, how does it differ to pathfinder and should I get both the players guide and the dungeon masters guide? Do I need both?
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50997730
Pathfinder is a derivative of 3.5e, the revised 3rd edition of D&D. This thread is about 5e, the 5th edition of D&D. File related is a rundown of the differences between 3.PF and 5e. Whether you need any books besides the PHB depends on if you want to run a game or just play in it.
>>
>>50997730

Pathfinder is an offshoot of DnD 3.5e. Classes, races and most game mechanics will feel very familiar.

DnD 5e simplifies and streamlines a lot of the rules and severely reduces character options (though there's still some room for creativity). Numbers are lower, classes are more balanced, feats are quite expensive and generally more powerful.

if you want to play, you need the Player's Handbook. If you want to DM, you need that, plus the Monster Manual. The DM's guide isn't really necessary for the most part.
>>
File: 1497443_orig.png (525KB, 435x721px) Image search: [Google]
1497443_orig.png
525KB, 435x721px
What are some good reasons for questing after a medusa's head?
>>
>Strength determines damage inflicted with weapons and -spells-
>Dexterity determines attack bonus with weapons and some spells/cantrips and the save DC of spells
>Constitution determines hit points and hit dice recovery
>Intelligence determines the number of spells known for casters or maneuvers known for martial characters
>Wisdom determines your starting Inspiration per long rest
>Charisma determines the number of spell slots for casters and ki / superiority dice / rage uses / etc for martial characters

Would it work?
>>
>>50997817
How much more steamlined? I know about pathfinder being an offshoot and the rules for the most part, but if it's way less free then I dunno if I would like to run it. Though, not as many rules sounds great compared to the plethora of rules in pathfinder
>>
>>50997834

1 - only way to undo petrification of VIP
2 - even bigger monster is weak to petrification
>>
>>50997871

see >>50997773. there's far less modifiers and skills to keep track of, battle stats like AC HP and damage are generally much lower. I find it to be a much more pleasant system overall.

the lack of character options is definitely a downside, tho, but it's not *that* bad. You get 12 base classes which branch out into subclasses or caster schools. With a few notorious exceptions they're all viable
>>
>>50997031
I wanted to build the Lieutenant from The Black Company, but he doesn't have much character so far. Aside from "good at his job" and "has a huge sword", he's not talked about much.

Elmo might be a better bet. He's described as "He never stopped being the kid who pulls the wings off flies".

Just read Black Company for fighter ideas, it's good so far and I hear it stays that way.
>>
ls there any reason to be a STR based instead of a DEX based Fighter if your DM ignores carry capacity?
>>
>>50997948
See that's what i was liking, was the classes seem to be more viable. Pathfinder really is just this pot of sameness it feels like
>>
File: Lady_of_pain.jpg (53KB, 479x591px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_of_pain.jpg
53KB, 479x591px
Is there any way I can try to get fellow party members more into the roleplay department/participate more during interactions?
Most of our group is first-timers, myself included, we play over text and it feels like they get bored of all the WORDS in our campaign every so often. The rest of us eat that shit up, though, since it's engrossing enough to make the game my only priority whenever we play, so maybe it could be more that they're taking a bit more time to adjust.
For example, one of our players speaks much more ICly now, and gets more involved both in and out of combat, which I think is fantastic.

But how do I get the haughty, spoiled noble with 20 CHA to talk to people more, beyond ''I order you to become my subject''? I don't mind being on face duty at all, but that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Input appreciated.
>>
>>50997834

This:>>50997875
Also:
>Collector of bizarre magical items wishes to complete his exhibition of the fauna of the Blackmoon Crags, or other appropriately named deathtrap
>Same collector has lost the original Medusa head, and now the party must navigate the exhibit in search of the actual, live and volatile head. As in no Medusa. Just a head.
>Preservation of an extremely sick friend or family member or important individual until a cure can be found.
>Local doomsday cult is hiring party to track down head to create a medieval-cryogenics institute but with petrification
>Local noble wishes to use the head to un-petrify a beautiful statue, in the hopes of awakening a beautiful woman
>Local noble, after an unfortunate incident with a very pretty-faced stone golem, has resorted to more conventional mistresses. Would like another Medusa head into to hide them from his wife as statues among the property.
>Impoverished workers of the city wanted to stage a riot, and want to petrify all the guards / a select few nobles at night so that they can openly revolt in the morning.
>A young is incapable of coping with the increasing illness of his terminally ill pet. He has hired a sculptor to pose his pet one last time next to the small farm's brook, and would like to cast a comforting illusion and petrify it into afterlife.
>An ancient bas relief of angels on a church's walls was an actually an ancient trap by devils. The angels have recently become alive and moving stone along the bas relief, but they cannot escape. They warn devils will soon come encroaching, but the angels can beat them if the players use their own petrification magic against them.
>>
>>50997866
This would pretty much only work in a point buy environment, and a very generous one at that. Forcing a wizard to take strength, cool as muscle wizards are, just doesn't work. Take the DC and damage thing and apply it to charisma (force of personality), make number of spell slots tied to int (ability to learn) and put spells known on wisdom (ability to memorise). I do like the idea of incentivising some mental stats on martials, but you would want to make it so it isn't essential, just maybe a couple extra uses of key features that may be better than taking a feat. It's a good idea that makes things a little tougher on casters rather than making them directly weaker and gives real impactful decisions to the design choices for martial characters. I do like it, but keep in mind how painful it can be to need multiple attributes particularly if you roll for stats.
>>
>>50997031
Bow Battlemaster with all the extra gubbins that lets you effectively club people with it.
>>
>>50998066
A noble with 20 charisma would never be that pigheaded. Instead consider how smoothtalking a noble has to be to get along with the common folk. Remember that pretty much every noble would have the exact education on proper etiquette and would know exactly how to keep a straight face against even the most mud-covered farmer. The greatest kings are the ones that never need to give an order since people will do what you want regardless.
>>
Dwarf fighter or Half Orc fighter?
>>
>>50998176

dwarf if shield, half-orc otherwise.
>>
>>50998041
There's really only three or four trap classes/archetypes in 5th (4 Elements Monk, Beastmaster Ranger, Blade Pact Warlock, and Ranger core class to a lesser extent) but they've already addressed one/two of those problems with a UA update/rework of the Ranger class as a whole. Every other class/archetype has some way to contribute or perform at their job and do it well.
>>
>>50997666
CoS is lame in my opinion. a lot of poor design choices

havent done OotA yet though
>>
What's a list of the most D&D video games that aren't D&D? games that capture the feeling and/or have similar mechanics

Dragon's Dogma, Darkest Dungeon, Divinity: Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity are obvious answers
>>
Do all-caster parties work well or are they boring in combat?
>>
>>50998451
does that include halfcasters?
>>
>>50998451
Nothing is boring if players have their shit together.
So yes, it's boring.

>>50998331
I wouldn't even hate on the base ranger class. I think the original Hunter was just as good as a Champion or even a Battlemaster.
Otherwise, you're right. There are very few trap options, because older editions actually included them on purpose.
>>
Rebalancing orcs:

Give them Savage Attacks from half-orc, and make it so they only have -1 intelligence instead of -2.

Still not as powerful as half-orcs, but I think it works.
>>
>>50998078
>This would pretty much only work in a point buy environment, and a very generous one at that.
>I do like it, but keep in mind how painful it can be to need multiple attributes particularly if you roll for stats.
5E supports both attribute arrays and point buy, so it'd be fine. Characters start off significantly better than average, making all attributes matter just makes those 8s and 9s an actual disadvantage - which they should be, by all rights.

>Forcing a wizard to take strength, cool as muscle wizards are, just doesn't work
Make it represent strength of arm and of spirit, the power you put behind all that you do. Magic either draws from one's inner strength, or their body serves as a conduit for energies that are not their own.
>>
File: Dragons-Crown-Screenshots-47.jpg (390KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dragons-Crown-Screenshots-47.jpg
390KB, 1280x720px
>>50998445

>t-t-totally not D&D guys
Dragon's Crown
Might and Magic

>kinda like D&D
Legend of Grimrock
Dragon Age: Origins (haven't played the sequels)
>>
>>50998445
Any old Final Fantasy game (they're basically based on D&D)
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Elder Scrolls games (including the old ones)
Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2

Of course, there's nothing wrong with actual D&D games. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 are both amazing.

>>50998610
>Dragon Age: Origins
The original was pretty sexy but the sequels have much better mechanics. Arguably, their stories aren't as good, though.
>>
>>50998445
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
>>
>>50997871
It's not a math homework in disguise at higher level of gameplay anymore.

They almost do away with + and - bonus (there are still a few available for autistic who can't live without math) and replace it with advantage/disadvantage system.
>>
>>50998331
and multiclassing isn't a trap anymore. So it's actually open you up to a lot of build.

Ie. No need to make a "Inquisitor" class when you can just multiclass Rogue and Cleric without gimping yourself.
>>
>>50998654
The Multiplayer scene died way too quickly. Q.Q

>>50998659
It can be deceptive, though, if you're used to older editions. For example, lots of people think a +1 to attack or AC isn't a huge deal, when it can represent an average of 20% more or less damage.
>>
>>50998596
Why don't you just refluff Half-Orc :3c
>>
>>50998686
> Dat feel when DM who used to 3.pf just gave out +1 or +2 weapon nonchalantly
> Dat feel when I don't want to reveal my power level and lecture our DM about it.
>>
>>50998445
Planescape Torment is literally a D&D setting.
>>
File: goblin slayer.png (780KB, 815x894px) Image search: [Google]
goblin slayer.png
780KB, 815x894px
>want to make a goblin hunter who considers goblins a plague and wanna kill them all
>find out this edgy faggot exists
Fuck.
>>
>>50998734
Let's see how long you can keep this quiet until he realizes battles are too hard for him to balance.
Probably really long.

>>50998762
Anon asked for not explicitly D&D, though.

>>50998842
The concept was dumb and edgy to begin with, though.
>>
>>50998842
What is that from? I thought that quote was from Doom
>>
>>50998842
You can't make Goblin Slayer. He's shtick is that his stat is so screw toward killing goblin and leave nothing to luck, so the "gods" dice can't affect him.

The goddess has to abandon her Cleric PC, because this faggot appear.
>>
>>50998851
>The concept was dumb and edgy to begin with, though
Not really tho. l would literally be a pest control worker with a sword.
>>
>>50998913
So pest control workers are edgy now? l'm not making Goblin Slayer, l'm making a knight with a belief.
>>
File: Zedlav.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Zedlav.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Updated from the last thread...

Rate my character

Also, post your current characters
>>
>>50998938
When the "pest" is a sentience being? Yes. Just replace goblin with Jew,Islam or whatever and you will see how edgey it is.
>>
File: yes, and.jpg (5KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
yes, and.jpg
5KB, 201x201px
>>50998895
Yeah, like Goblin Slayer. I'm pretty sure he even says something like that himself, it was pretty edgy. What's your point?
>>50998938
Well, when they're killing sapient creatures, yeah, it kinda is. It's like when anime villains rant about those pesky NINGENS being nothing more than animals. It's the same deal.
I guess you could make it not-edgy if you played it for laughs or something, actually, were you planning on doing that? It'd be dark humor, but it wouldn't just be edgy, I guess. Like:
>Oh, goblins? No big deal, ma'am, I'll have the whole cave cleaned out in 24 hours or your gold back!
>Now, for our base level of service, I'll go and close up the opening, and they'll all starve to death, y'know, or for a higher fee we can actually fumigate the whole place, or I could go in there with a sword and chop 'em all up for ya myself.
>>
>>50998980
>I'm a <ethnic> who thinks <ethnics> are a pest
Yeah, that's either edgy or racist af. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt when I say it's edgy.
>>
>>50998962
Look like a bland default warlock.
>>
>>50998980
>he's a goblin lover
get out
>>
>>50999014
Thanks.
>>
File: 600full-clint-eastwood.jpg (297KB, 600x814px) Image search: [Google]
600full-clint-eastwood.jpg
297KB, 600x814px
>>50997031
Pick any character Clint Eastwood has ever played
>>
Would two Battlemaster 7 or 8/Rogue 12 or 13be a good combo?
They could both flank a baddie, then with each of their rounds use Commanders Strike on each other to make each attack a sneak attack
>>
>>50999035
You should dump str and get more dex.
Undying pack is pretty meh.

Also why component pouch?
>>
>>50998985
l don't plan on playing le funny exterminator, but l'll not be all tragic about that either. Just like paladins can and do have strong beliefs, my character thinks goblins are pure evil.
>>
>>50999088
To be more precise, l don't this the belief itself isn't wrong. Just imagine the caracter as a really racist uncle. With a broadsword.
>>
>>50999084
I figured that being able to resist being grappled and attacking without a -1 penalty is worth starting with a 14 instead of a 15 in dexterity via point-buy. And component pouch because it functions the same mechanically as an arcane focus, but is worth more.
>>
>>50999067
While it's teamwork fighter is a very cool concept... You can get off turn sneak attack via Twinned spell Haste.
>>
>>50998685
>multiclassing isn't a trap anymore.
Explain how
>>
>>50998962
DraculaUntold/10
>>
How do you justify picking sub-optimal race class combinations when you buy ability scores?
>>
>>50998962
looks cool
i want to play a lock myself
thinking about making a homebrew patron based on undead and necromancy
>>
>>50999147
You can use acrobatic to resist grapple.

Also component pouch doesn't fit your character. Will he really put his finger into a pouch with bat geuno and other smelly stuff?
>>
>>50999167
By weighing it against the idea of having more fun playing a sub-optimal character from a mechanical perspective but with a much more interesting fluff perspective.

>lrn2roleplay
>>
>>50999150
How does haste give you off turn attacks? It just gives you an extra attack on your turn.
Well, they could both be arcane arcane tricksters 13, so they can both cast haste on themselves or each other.
>>
>>50996892
>No UA until January 9

Do we know what it'll be?
>>
File: fearly10.jpg (83KB, 800x1207px) Image search: [Google]
fearly10.jpg
83KB, 800x1207px
My first time DMing went pretty bad, how do I get the courage to keep going on? It was a learning experience, but I feel like I really botched it.
Combats dragged on, even though I tried to give them interesting stuff to do, they just never did it, I botched the ending because I was rushing because it was getting late and everyone was bored by the combats, I kept forgetting the order people were going in combat, I forgot about some NPCs that were following the party in a dungeon and people made jokes about it but it was good natured ribbing but still.
Idk, I want to try again but I just feel like everything went wrong.
>>
>>50999223
readied actions is my guess
>>
>>50999154
No such thing as BAB and weird saving throw scaling. Proficiency bonus is based on your character level.

You doesn't gimp your spell slot for multiclassing (and there is no caster level), although you still lost your higher level spell known.

But the way 5e work, you can just cast stuff like Cure Wound or Magic missile at higher spell slot, instead of having to wait until your learn a new version.

Also no such thing as ACP, so Fighter 1 / Wizard can wear fullplate and cast.

Stuff like that.
>>
>>50999167
I only play human, the idea that another race might be worth my time has never crossed my mind.

Then I just put my stats into whatever my class needs.
>>
>>50999255
Ranger archetypes obviously.
>>
>>50999255
Ranger subclasses. Then rogue, sorcerer, warlock, and wizard.
>>
>>50998634
>Any old Final Fantasy
Maybe the REALLY old ones. At this point, X is an old final fantasy game though. LaughingTidus.jpg is old enough to be a final fantasy character now.
>>
>>50999223

Like >>50999274 said.
>>
>>50999219
But you will have less fun in combat
>>
>>50998634
>>50998654
Dark Messiah and Elder Scrolls don't have parties though
>>
>>50999274
Can you ready just your extra action?

Anyway, it would still stack with the extra attacks from the Battlemasters.
>>
>>50999321
Not him, but not really?
If you're roleplaying, you're playing the stats a bit less than the character, so normally you're perfectly fine not being as good as the min/maxed dude. At least that's how I see it.
>>
>>50998962
Looks like a warlock to me, I like the backstory of why the father/you chose undying though.

The only thing I really dislike is the blood runs thicker than water thing. I know that it means family first now but the original adage was, "The blood of the covenant runs thicker than the water of the womb" meaning the exact opposite, that relationships formed by choice are stronger than family ties.
>>
>>50999344
>Can you ready just your extra action?
The Ready action is just an action you take like any other action. You then use a Reaction to take your readied action.
>>
>>50999167
Because I find it fun to fuck about with different builds, even if they are objectively shittier.

Maybe I want a tanky af Ranger Gnome, some days I may want a minmaxed Human whatever. Who cares.
>>
>>50999266
It sounds like a bit of this is just being unused to how games go. Have you talked to any of your former DMs for advice?

A few of these problems could be solved really easily:
>I kept forgetting the order people were going in combat
You should write down initiative. I use a small whiteboard: it's a godsend.
>I forgot about some NPCs that were following the party in a dungeon
What sort of campaign are you running, exactly, and why was it significant in the first place that you forgot about the NPCs? It's usually best practice to keep the number of NPCs around the party to one or two, unless you're talking about hirelings in which case they don't need to have much personality anyway.
>>
>>50999266
Don't give up!
>>
>>50999361
Ok, didn't know that. Seems way too powerful though.
>>
>>50999416
>You should write down initiative. I use a small whiteboard: it's a godsend.
yeah, I kept forgetting though. True this is just something I need to personally work on.
>>50999416
>What sort of campaign are you running, exactly, and why was it significant in the first place that you forgot about the NPCs? It's usually best practice to keep the number of NPCs around the party to one or two, unless you're talking about hirelings in which case they don't need to have much personality anyway.
Its mostly that the party rescued 3 people, and I had a plan for each of them if the party talked to them, but THEY kind of forgot about them and weren't interested in interacting with them, so I forgot, but then kind of remembered them and were like "so these guys are just following us?" and I said yeah but then they didn't really want to talk to them. That wasn't a huge deal but idk. I guess its more about my expectations versus reality and trying to keep track of everything.
>>
>>50999295
Yeah, I meant like FFI-FFIII. It's weird to think of FFX as "old."
>>
>>50999356
We had this discussion in the last thread. It lead to an argument about whether modern phrasing trumps what phrases used to mean.
>>
>>50999442
It seems like appropriately powerful multiclassing synergy to me. You've still got to concentrate on Haste and if you start popping off two Sneak Attacks a round all eyes are going to be on you.

There are other ways to get two Sneak Attacks anyway.
>>
>>50999499
I must have missed it, sorry if I was beating a dead horse
>>
File: feaewild.jpg (614KB, 700x906px) Image search: [Google]
feaewild.jpg
614KB, 700x906px
>>50999167
for the most part, if they want to play a race for fluff reasons but its not mechanically beneficial, i'll probably just give them a different stat combination thats more beneficial to their class
>>
>>50999451
I'm sorry, I honestly don't follow. How do you forget about initiative? Initiative is a pretty central part of how D&D combat works. Here's how I do it: explain to me how your method differs.
1. Begin combat. Combat begins when I declare it: typically, I say combat begins once somebody has violent intent against somebody else. (except PvP: I don't roll with that stuff.)
2. Ask players to roll initiative; simultaneously, I roll initiative for their opponents. I write my initiatives on a piece of scrap paper as I roll them.
3. I count down, starting at 20, to see who's going first. As I do, I write down each player's initiative, and behind my screen I insert the opposing initiatives between the players initiative rolls as appropriate.
4. That's it.
As you can see, the way I do it there's no room for "forgetting" to write down anything. So how are you doing it?

That's an odd bit with the NPCs the party rescued. If they're not interested in roleplaying with NPCs, that's just something you'll have to accept: it's hard to get people to roleplay if they're more interested in hacking and slashing. If that's the case, just let the NPCs drop by the wayside, and for the future don't just come up with plans for what NPCs will say if party members talk to them, come up with a more general plan for the NPC's objectives. If the NPC wants to thank the party and get home to their family and nobody in the party talks to them, eventually they're just going to go back to their family on their own: they ought to have some kind of life outside of when they interact with the PCs.
>>
>>50999531
That's why you hopefully have a wizard controlling the battlefield.
>>
File: 1481598705683.png (419KB, 950x493px) Image search: [Google]
1481598705683.png
419KB, 950x493px
>>50999429
Thanks man.
Does anyone have tips or a good thing to read for DMs that are really anxious?
I think part of it is just I get flustered easily. Idk, my group was really excited about what i sent them about the campaign pre campaign, and the beginning went really well. And their characters were mostly pretty cool and they kept asking me questions and stuff pre game.
>>
Would a customized background with an armor proficiency be broken
>>
>>50999568
Armor proficiency is not something a background should provide.
>>
>>50999568
Yeah.
>>
>>50999568
Very.
>>
>>50999559
>Here's how I do it:
Thats a good system. I think I just needed a system really. Part of it is my group tends to just shout things out as they think them, and I guess I need to just curve them on that, because that was distracting me and then someone would say hey wait what about my turn.
>and for the future don't just come up with plans for what NPCs will say if party members talk to them, come up with a more general plan for the NPC's objectives. If the NPC wants to thank the party and get home to their family and nobody in the party talks to them, eventually they're just going to go back to their family on their own: they ought to have some kind of life outside of when they interact with the PCs.
This is good advice too. I don't mean I wrote scripts for them, just like, I had general ideas about their characters I wrote down, and I wanted to use them as a resource to explain things to the PCs, but they kind of asked them a few questions and it never came up again.
It was a one shot in a dungeon, and I guess I just had them follow the PCs, and when they asked about them again, I said something like "oh yeah they're following you". It wasn't a huge deal, I guess I'm more interested in how to motivate my party to interact with NPCs. Maybe I need more carrot on a string from them if I want that to be part of it. But you're right about what you wrote about maybe they just wanted to do more hacking and slashing.
>>
>>50999565
Oof. Yeah, I know that feeling. It gets better with experience but it won't go away.
As a DM, it helps to think of your job as making sure people are having fun. Ask your players if they think you're doing a good job. If they're friends (and it sounds like they are, which is great) they'll tell you they were having fun and they might also give you feedback. Listen to whatever they say and take it to heart.

>Part of it is my group tends to just shout things out as they think them, and I guess I need to just curve them on that, because that was distracting me and then someone would say hey wait what about my turn.
Argh. Yeah, rambunctious players can be troublesome. Don't go overboard, but make sure to let your players know you'll get to them eventually and emphasize that D&D combat is turn-based. Be plain with them and let them know that shouting out stuff about their turn on other people's turns is rude.

An important question if you don't mind me asking: how many people do you have in your group? Larger player groups can be seriously overwhelming, even for experienced DMs.
>>
>>50999183
Undying warlock from SCAG is pretty close to the necromancer idea, but it doesnt come with animate dead for some reason. Maybe tweak that a little bit.
>>
>>50999671
Animate Dead is broken in the hands of a warlock. You can raise a lot of creatures in a relatively short amount of time, and maintaining control over them is less of a hassle.
>>
>>50999725
Somehow I didn't consider that at all. Scratch that, maybe make it a once per day invocation or a class feature?
>>
>>50999658
>how many people do you have in your group? Larger player groups can be seriously overwhelming, even for experienced DMs.
it was four players and me as dm. I'm just not so good at it.
>>
File: Weeaboo Fightan Magic Powah.png (340KB, 857x271px) Image search: [Google]
Weeaboo Fightan Magic Powah.png
340KB, 857x271px
Since I like magic weapons having unique "gimmicks" I've come up with this for my Eldritch Knight. Do you guys think the two levels of exhaustion are a fair drawback for the ability? Or is it too lenient for something that can easily spiral out of hand? I'm aiming for a last resort type ability.
>>
I am going to be running a pretty casual oneshot game tomorrow. The party will be infiltrating a high society party to perform a heist on a noble family's riches. I have worked out challenges leading up to the heist like finding a way into the party, and setting things up, but what are some ideas for challenges while the heist is going on other than just avoiding getting caught or needing to muscle through?
>>
>>50999814
Don't be too hard on yourself. You're new to this. If your players had fun (ask them), they did, and that means you're doing a good enough job. Get the tools that'll help you with organization (keep a blank notebook behind your screen for notes and reminders, use this or a whiteboard for initiative), run some more sessions, and take it easy. It's pretty rare to hit it out of the park on the first session, and the fact that you're being proactive about improving means you have the right attitude. Keep your chin up!
>>
>>50999905
thanks man, I'll try
>>
>>50999814
Oh, and one last thing -- if your players are getting tired before the end of the session, don't feel bad about scheduling a regular mid-session break for pizza or water or just stretching legs, or just scheduling shorter sessions. Group stamina is a tricky thing to get right, but even something simple like that can help a lot.
>>
>>50999879
Hit Dice as a resource for class features is never a good idea. Not even once.
>>
>>50998734
>tfw DMs hand out magic weapons like candy
>tfw DMs ask to roll stats
>tfw DMs generally fail to understand how 5e should be run
>>
>>50999879
this seems too weird to just decide whether or not it's good in the first place to just rate without testing
The drawback seems extreme enough for it to be fair, but you may just end up with your players never using it
Or using it in ways you didn't intend
>>
File: 1482535227960.png (49KB, 319x326px) Image search: [Google]
1482535227960.png
49KB, 319x326px
>got my first inspiration point today
>>
>>50999879
Fucking ridiculous.

You shouldn't grant entire extra attacks. There are many effects that take place, usually granting damage on a hit. Considering you can get up to 20 hitdice, it's fucking insane.
Not to mention, it's suggesting you ALSO add proficiency bonus to damage.

Considering all the bonuses you could possibly get, you could probably one-shot tiamat with a bit of luck at level 20 if you used this ability. You'd need some help through things such as 'enlarge person' (+1d4 damage on each attack), hex (+1d6 damage on each attack), maybe GWM (+10 damage on each attack, -5 to hit), GWF (Reroll 1s and 2s), 20 strength (+5 damage), that sort of thing. The deal is that all these damages are multiplied by the number of times you hit.

What is an 'additional attack', anyway? An additional attack on top of an attack action?
>>
>>50999982
>>50999879
Here, I've come up with a suitable ability.

It's called 'action surge'.
Once per short rest, you can gain an additional action, which you can then use to most likely take another set of attacks using extra attack.

No exhaustion for using it, though.

Does that sound fair?

I'm sorry I'm just a huge bitch
>>
>>50999966
Fair point, but it's a two-player campaign that most likely isn't going to go into epic levels. Plus I trust my players and they'd understand if I had to tweak or adjust some numbers if it turns out too broken.
>>50999982
>proficiency bonus to damage
Perhaps I worded that wrong but I mean the attack rolls get proficiency bonus if you are proficient with the weapon. As for the munchkining there, I don't intend to allow additional abilities to work with it.

Also I just realized it doesn't say half of maximum Hit Die. Should be half rounded up.
>>
>>51000002
That seems pretty good, but it doesn't scale so well
What about if you got to use it twice between short rests at level 17?
Only once per turn obviously
>>
File: asura.jpg (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
asura.jpg
132KB, 1920x1080px
>>51000042
Ok that's not munchkinning buddy it's pretty standard fare for a melee character to enhance their melee capabilities. If you really want to limit interactions with it you could turn it into some sort of ki burst that just deals damage equal to the expended die with like a Dex save for half damage (DC tied to your con maybe?) but if you're going to allow attacks like that you need to fully understand how much extra damage that would provide. Other alternative would be wording it like you get extra attacks from a seperate entity, ghostly attacks etc. that isn't your attack necessarily and therefore is exempt from your own personal bonuses. Bottom line is that ability is broken as is and also doesnt seem to be what you're shooting for either.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-29-03-43-30.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-29-03-43-30.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
So, Dragonborn Monks? What are the pros and cons here? One of my players had a pretty good sales pitch with the Dex vs Str but I wanted to get a general opinion about the character. He wants to be able to attack in melee with his bonus unarmed attacks and throw daggers using Str rather than Dex to enemies at range. I let it go tonight because the scene was pretty awesome, but it's something I felt I should check on.
>>
>>50999889
one of them is a police informant
the loot is cursed
they run into drunks
the party is raided by orcs/cultists/monsters/etc
>>
>>51000045
Hm. Not a bad idea.

Would have to keep it fighter-exclusive though, it's pretty powerful and fighters could use the boost.

>>51000042
If that's the case, then don't make them attacks.
Make it something like...
'When you activate this ability as a bonus action, until the end of your next turn, whenever you roll for damage with a weapon attack you may roll one of your hitdice and add it to the damage. At the end of your next turn, you gain two levels of exhaustion.'

Honestly, that's probably stronger than you intended since the attacks are gauranteed to hit and there isn't any limit to how many dice are expended if they can hit enough. However, the main aims there are:
1. Making it not trigger other abilities such as ones that trigger on hit.
2. Not causing it to make you roll ridiculous numbers of dice to hit on many small attacks.
3. Just making it simple, I guess.

That's just acclimitizing it to 5e, though. You don't have to simplify things if you want and can have it roll up to 10 times for 10 attacks or something. The real problem is that they shouldn't really be attacks or else you'll have to start defining everything that does and doesn't work with it, and it's not really a proper attack if it isn't affected by attack abilities.

However, as another person said, I don't think hitdice are awfully good resources for it, even if it does kinda work. Spending them encourages healer reliance, and I feel that sort of thing doesn't get used enough.
>>
>>51000147
Using str for a monk is strictly inferior. This is not broken.
>>
>>51000236
Does it just get worse at higher levels? Because he was doing plenty of damage with his rolls
>>
>>51000147
>He wants to be able to attack in melee with his bonus unarmed attacks and throw daggers using Str rather than Dex to enemies at range.
he can
Martial arts lets you replace Str rolls with Dex in certain circumstances
Thrown weapons use Str by default anyway, you merely have the option of using dex with daggers because they're finesse/monk weapons
>>
>>51000295
There are two reasons only you want strength as a (pure) monk
>1 to grapple enemies easier
not a great tactic but it can be fun
>2 for batter athletics rolls and jumping further/higher
>>
>>51000147
He can already do all of those things

But god damnit he has no fucking clue what he's getting in on

Monk desperately craves dex and wis and to a lesser extent con. If you pick a race that gives neither dex or wis, their AC will suck and thus unlike a barbarian who can get away with sucky AC or even just wear fucking armour and not use reckless attack, the monk WILL die later on.

Not to mention even if they COULD use strength in place of dexterity for every single monk ability, there'd still be no point to taking it over dexterity unless you're really that desperate to grapple things.

Let him do it, and in fact throw their underpowered character a line and allow them to use unarmoured defence with strength instead of dexterity.
>>
>>51000295

He could be getting the same shit out of Dex and also be getting better AC and initiative rolls at no cost.
>>
>>51000147
Make it not suck by allowing unarmored defence with str over dex or change the dragonborn stats from str to dex.
>>
>>51000295
Monk isn't the strongest to begin with and this will make his ac even worse, leaving no ASI for dex, con and wis.
>>
>>51000295
If he'd pumped Dex instead and played an elf he'd be doing the exact same damage. Str is 100% equal to Dex for attack rolls on a monk but if you go Dex, you get better AC, initiative and dex saves.
>>
>>51000567
and deflect missiles rolls
even though the opportunity to use the feature will come up less often as a result
>>
File: 1456496062823.jpg (78KB, 564x643px) Image search: [Google]
1456496062823.jpg
78KB, 564x643px
I AM BUILDING AN ENCOUNTER FOR SEVERAL 5TH THROUGH 7TH LEVEL ADVENTURERS. HOW DOES IT LOOK?

ENCOUNTER CRITERIA MET(player level, players achieving landholder status, certain primary adventures concluded)
>a pair men out on a long hunting trip saw a ship sail into a cove and vanish.
>a well known ship.
>a well known PIRATE ship.
>with more than a couple of IMPERIAL BOUNTIES attached.
>they aren't well versed in the use of maps, but they give reasonable directions.

ENCOUNTER LOCATION INDEX BY NUMBERS(changed from the numbering on the map)
1.) staircase is inside a tunnel, the mouth of which is hidden behind a large hollow stone

2.) 2-4 men, armed and playing cards.

3.) 2 men, armed and waiting for a shout from the watchers to set fire to the beacons and warn the Reach when it returns, they do not fight, their only job is to signal and escape.

4.) pit is partially walled off and contains a small infirmary and an elderly alchemist brewing things in careful little ordered pots. alchemical arrows, lanterns, coatings, and sealants sit in small piles on different tables, a heavy Iron locker marked with the alchemical hazard sign for explosives contains nothing

the rest of the space is filled and arranged series of bunks, footlockers contain little

5.) poison gas trap coridor(heavy oak doors at either end)

6.) loot storage/holding.

2 of the largest chests are painted BRIGHT GREEN. and etched with the words.

"take heed theives, these treasures should not be trifled with.

their contents are actually LESS valuable than the other contents of the room. contained within are the personal treasures of the crew. neatly divided in these boxes are old trinkets, military rank indicators, carved stones, odd coins, a couple of lower level paintings, the odd wedding band, etc. taking the contents of these boxes out of the room permanently marks a character for the rest of their life.
>>
>>51000881
7.) this stairway also leads to the signal beacon, which pours chemicals that turn the whole cliffside a violent neon-purple as well as burning in a fire that sends up THICK PURPLE SMOKE. the beacon is in an isolated room only activatable by armatures and pull ropes and cannot be disabled or deactivated by mundane means.

8.) this room is lined in empty weapons racks, clothes washing equipment, maintinence supplies, etc...

9.) roll 1d20.
on a 1-6 it contains 1d3+1 "R&R whores" who're there on a reasonably cushy retainer
on a 7-14 it contains a middle ranked religious or polittical official
on a 15-18 it contains whores AND a hostage official
on a 19 this room contains the firstborn son of a landholder from further down the coast(+whore(s))
on a 20 this room contains the 4th or 5th prince of the realm (+whores,-sex(gotta mind them bastards))

10.) an empty ship-slip with neatly folded racks of false-flags, cases of balista munitions, ships supplies like pitch and rope and sail-cloth.

a small artifice-hoist is anchored into the ceiling on a track controlled by a few pulley-chains.
>>
>>51000881
>Underground boat
it's 10/10
I actually have no criticism at all for this
>>
>>51000921
think it's reasonably idiot resistant?

one of the intents is that the party is accumulating enemies in this stage of the game.

an angry pirate of great renown seems like a decent antagonist for the mid-game
>>
>>51000944
Absolutely, the only thing that you have to do is give them a cut up top down version of the same map with the non-secret doors marked on it so they're hard to miss
Although, it's easy to underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot
>>
>>51000960
oh, I'll be keeping the map on my phone and laying out tiles and markers.
>>
>>51000944
Could it be the Dread Pirate Roberts?
>>
>>51000984
go ask the /wmhg/ who Skarre of the Broken Coast is...

but essentially, yes.
a pirate whose ship, captain, and ranking crew are wanted by the imperial throne. but they cannot be caught even against groups of faster ships or more heavily armed ones...their equipage is a close secret and has kept the ship free, it isn't canons though.

>Port Royal they got Morgan
>carolinas's they got Teach
>but in the channel of Kingston Bay we got a ship called the Devil's Reach
>She had 47 cannon
>On Deck had 14 gun
>and at wheel was Big Tom Cutter, was a noble's bastard son
>the locals all knew better, they knew to stay away
>and if ya pass and listen'd close you could almost hear them say

>you should have turned back sooner
>cause the Reach it owns this bay
>and you can't outrun er'
>and you can't outgun er'
>and you know you're gonna pay
>>
>>50998445
Dark Souls is uh... basically D&D meets Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>51001045
not at all
>>
Anons? I don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but, I've got a bunch of races I've been trying to homebrew for 5e, and I could use some help on balancing out what I have written and picking which ones to write next. Any opinions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>50998000
Certain useful fighter builds like Great Weapon Master and Polarm Master generally require using strength based weapons. Breaking things with brute force is also sometimes useful, but not necessarily.
>>
>>50998379
Explain yourself.
>>
File: 1358064256119.jpg (6KB, 206x160px) Image search: [Google]
1358064256119.jpg
6KB, 206x160px
>>51001189

So first i need to explain that there is a difference between dark and negative. I like dark, macabre, and creepy. my problem with CoS is that it's too negative.

When the party is first introduced into this campaign they're basically told that this place sucks balls. Strahd rules this place with an iron fist and has spies everywhere. No npc should be trusted. If you have someone in the party who likes taking things then another member who is anything good will tell them to stop because the people need it.

Players are told the death lurks behind every corner. Stray too far in any path and you'll be torn apart by monsters. This makes players not want to explore and instead do every mission as fast as possible. Strahd will sometimes show up to annoy you and he'll eventually leave. If he leaves because he's about to commit a TPK, he feels like a dumb Bond villain. If he leaves because it was a decent fight the players will feel cheated that they didn't get anything out of it. If he leaves due to getting his ass kicked, he'll seem like a complete bitch.

There's also some REALLY dumb shit in the game, like stupid decisions are actually rewarded. If the players agree to get into a spooky ass wagon that belongs to Strahd, which by all rights should be a death trap to anyone sane, you get to meet one of the most famous DnD characters of all time

all of this really just made us want to finish CoS just so we can be done with and. That's why Princes of the Apocalypse was so much more fun in my opinion.
>>
>>51001247
Despair and being darker than the norm are the hallmarks of gothic horror, which that adventure belongs to.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Barovia is like the Realms, there's an absense of light, joy and levity in Ravenloft, which is as it should be.
Which makes your eventual "triumph" all the more sweeter, you didn't succumb to the despair, you retained the light in spite of negativity. But did you truly defeat Strahd?

Stop thinking that the land is like the Realms, it's not.
>>
>>51001247
Hate to break it to you, but you're playing a gothic horror game.
>>
Did previous editions give warlocks any decent at will powers / cantrips that could be ported to 5e? Something unique and viable to be upgraded with invocations as an alternative to EB, ideally.
>>
>>51001300
>>51001309
to clarify, players should normally like the feeling of monsters behind every corner, but in Strahd players are meant to feel like they're too powerful to face.

And i get that it's gothic horror, as i said i like dark stuff in campaigns. but the whole book feels like it wants to shut the players down. Vallaki should have been written to be a save space, the ONE place where players can feel comfortable and encouraged by the townsfolk to explore and fight.

also the shit about Strahd being a Bond villain and the wagon bullshit are still dumb no matter how you look at it
>>
>>51001247
What is it that prevents the adventurers from venturing out, fixing stuff, dispensing justice and accomplishing things?

Strahd is there to provide a constant source of dread and inevitable fate, which makes me think you or your DM is using him wrong.
>>
>>51001349
In CoS it should be moreso that the players should feel powerless, but they should still fight back. That's their perogative. I would actually argue CoS is a lot like Dark Souls.
There's so much despair but hope is still a flickering candle that exists, that can held and should be protected.

>also the shit about Strahd being a Bond villain and the wagon bullshit are still dumb no matter how you look at it
Not really, it only is if you're using him wrong. They also provide bits of his personality, motivations and associated actions.
>>
seems like it would have been better if every time Strahd showed up it was to talk instead of fight
>>
>>51001373
What's stopping you or Strahd from doing exactly that?
Actually it's encouraged
>you must play him intelligently and do everything you can to make him a terrifying and cunning adversary for the pcs.

Intimidation is not merely combat prowess. And use charm and persuasion.
>>
>>51001373
Strahd wants to play with his new toys, he doesn't get them very often. He wants not only to find a suitable heir, but to be entertained by the guests as much and as long as possible. He should play with them and lead them on as long as he feels safe- until such a time as they steal Irena from him, or use the Madam's aid to find a dangerous artifact...
>>
>>51001372
why on earth should players want to enter his wagon? they should have met mordenkainen somewhere they would have gone to anyway for a quest

for fuck sake i fucked that up twice[spoiler/]
>>
>>51001393
That's really something you should be asking your players.
There's also a handy CR tracker that advises which challenges the pcs should be facing.

But if the pcs ultimately fail against Strahd, what's the harm? Just run it again for new rolled up ones.

And about my other points?
>>
>>51001410
Three times.
>>
>>51001410
Because he's supposed to be threatening but also oddly alluring and maybe even feign friendliness to the party? Especially right off the bat, he'd be fine "befriending" them so they move right into the tours of horror in his land and castle. Besides, he's also supposed to try and charm people for the long game, and has several "remote" methods, like the murder-mirror.
>>
File: 1332207831413.jpg (23KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
1332207831413.jpg
23KB, 569x428px
What do you think the prevalence of magic items should be in the world?

I'm debating whether to allow my players all +1 weapons. Half of them already have them, but the devs have said they don't account for this in the CR.

Magic weapons bypass all resistances after all.

On another level something like a flying cape allows a PC to bypass the majority of any obstacles. But these nerds are playing power fantasies after all.
>>
Has anyone seen any Eberron 5e yet?

I'm looking to play some dungeon punk and I prefer 5e to 3.5e
>>
>>50999969
I kept getting them and not spending them in my big Planescape campaign. I'd reach the end of the session and the little glass bead the GM had given out as an Inspiration marker was still there in front of me, so I cleared it away into my dice bag. After a few months of this, we both got a laugh when he realised he'd run out of beads and had no idea why.

I like the idea of Inspiration, but I hate mechanics like that where you have to declare that you're using it before you roll. I get super miserly with them. Anyone else agree with that? Same deal with mechanics like the Diviner's power that replaces a roll.
>>
>>51001658
Think of them as heroic, spur of the moment actions. A hero shouldn't be hoarding them.
>>
>>51001716
I've had players literally hoard them so bad they won't use them on death saving throws.
>>
>>51001716
In fact, you can't hoard them. You get one at a time, can't store more if you get Inspiration while you have Inspiration, and they don't last between sessions. I just never spent them. There wasn't ever a moment when I felt like I really needed to succeed on a particular roll.

I hoarded the glass beads, though.
>>
>>51001723
madmen
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>51001733
>and they don't last between sessions

But they do.
>>
If you kill a bone naga will it return in it's original form?
>>
I want to put the fear of god into my players. How many carrion crawlers should I put into a scene of 5-6 level 6 characters?
>>
>>51002028
At least 8. It'll tip fast against them though if the paralysis starts hitting.
>>
>>50998634
>Dragon Age: Origins
It's mechanics make it the most "DnD Like" of the series. That game is also a fucking masterpiece once you get past the bugginess (usually with mods)
>>
>>51001465
Be creative. A weapon can be +1, but may do +3 against Gnolls.
Applying limited spells is a good way of giving your weapons interesting effects. You may have a medusa shield that petrifies whoever hits it and fails a saving throw, once per day. Shit man, make it no save. You players will feel awesome and you still have some control over what they can do.

Joke magic items are also completely valid. Like glasses with a nose and a moustache that makes you look like a completely different person.
>>
>>50998842
He's literally killing evil monsters. How is that edgy?
>>
>>51002059
I don't killing being a goblin slayer is edgy. I think Goblin Slayer is edgy.
>>
File: blazingthrust.gif (49KB, 158x137px) Image search: [Google]
blazingthrust.gif
49KB, 158x137px
I'm new to D&D, so I need something explained to me please.

AC is Armor Class, which is a score that makes it so the creature you are fighting has to roll a number equal to or more than your AC to hit you at all.

I can make a Fighter in light armor with a shield that reaches AC20. At 1st level.

How is anything even supposed to hit me with physical attacks?

And given the high DEX bonus and shield, won't I just be dodging spells all day for half damage?

Why are Martials so OP in 5e?
>>
>>51002087
spellcasters were ridiculous in previous editions

also dont fall for the "muh ac" meme at level 1, you still have like 12 hp so if the dm rolls an 18-20 you will still die
>>
File: Monster Panther.jpg (20KB, 400x488px) Image search: [Google]
Monster Panther.jpg
20KB, 400x488px
>>51002087
Practically everything in the game has a +2 to +3 to hit a the earliest Challenge Ratings, and they go upwards from there to stuff with bonuses in the teens.
But 20 AC is supposed to be hard to hit, since you are a nigh-superhumanly dexterous individual who's well equipped for it.
>>
>>51002087
>I can make a Fighter in light armor with a shield that reaches AC20. At 1st level.
Leather armor = 11+DEX AC
Assuming 16 DEX at 1st level, that's 11+3=14
Shield = +2 AC
= 16 AC
Or if you have studded leather, 12+3+2 = 18
Defense = +1 AC
total of 19 AC

???

>How is anything even supposed to hit me with physical attacks?
With a +7 to hit, around 40% of the time
>>
>>51002128
Fuck those last two should be 17 and 18 duh
>>
File: 1334461024333.jpg (25KB, 350x354px) Image search: [Google]
1334461024333.jpg
25KB, 350x354px
>>51002087
>AC20

Say hello to my +11 to hit Giants.
>>
>>51002138
Or Magic Missile or the plethora of spells/effects that don't roll to hit.
>>
>>51002138
>fight a few kobolds
>theyve got pack tactics
>advantage on attacks that have +4 to hit

JUST
>>
>>51002087
first thing is you need dex 20 at level 1. This means rolling extremely good for stats. Point buy will get you max 17.
Second even with studded armor+shield+defence+ max dex creatures will still have 30% chance to hit you. Combined with low hp at low levels five goblins can easily take you down.
Now if you want to meme try wizard casting sleep and taking down this same 5 goblins in a single turn
>>
>>51002054
Have you read the post you are replying to ?
>>
I'm rolling a Bear-Totem, great-weapon Barbarian for a 5e campaign, anyone got any interesting backstory/motivation ideas. Want to avoid doing my usual 'Conan'
>>
>>51002210
Play a loli.
>>
>>51002210
Go wolf totem and be a tactician barbarian leading your party in battle.
>>
File: 4u.jpg (123KB, 494x411px) Image search: [Google]
4u.jpg
123KB, 494x411px
>>51002210
Play Bane. A gigantic hulk of a man, who's also a savant.
>>
>>51002237
I like the idea of being smarter/more than just 'hit hard', would it be running a high-int or high-dex/cha
>>
>>51002277
I think "having a plan" is more wisdom
>>
>>51002290
So it'd be about having high perception and 'understanding'? I think I get it, gonna try roll something. Thanks
>>
>>51002277

Bane is all charisma my man.

His plans are bravado and the manipulation of others.
>>
>>51002210

I love mine. I gave it grappler and I'm considering two levels of Druid so I can call it a Bear Hugging Bugbear Bear Barbarian Bear
>>
File: ffa amanda.png (248KB, 257x382px) Image search: [Google]
ffa amanda.png
248KB, 257x382px
>>50997834
>woman hires you to help her kill medusa
>medusa's tear is the only thing that will undo the petrification of her husbando
>medusa dies but there are no tears
>oh no, woman got bit
>she's turning into a medusa because that's a thing now
>asks you to kill her
>cries so her husbando can be saved through her sacrifice
>>
>>51002395

My whole game is a series of Bear Puns

"I roll stealth with my Bear feet"

"I believe in the right to bear arms and arm bears"

"Did the golem just roll a 15? That bearly hits!!"
>>
>>51002407
lol, epic, so funny

you are t3h epic winz0r foreva
>>
File: You have to go back.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
You have to go back.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>51002407
Reddit called, they're worried and looking for you.
>>
>>51002087
> Still get hit by magic missile
> Still get hit by sleep
> Still get hit by charm person
> Still get damage by Fireball

Also good luck buying studded leather at the start of the game, when you are poor as hell.
>>
>>51002466
>>51002456
>he somehow doubleposted despite the massive post timer
This is what happens when /pol/ is infiltrated by the same Reddit elements they bitch about
>>
>>51002087
> Martials
> OP

You knew that bladesinger with the same dex can get to 21-23 AC right? And that's before they use shield spell which boost their AC by +5.
>>
How to be passive aggressive on the table that roll for stats? and teach them that it's a bad idra? Moon Druid?
>>
>>51002607
Cheat so you get all stats really low
Play a monk/bladelock
Run into melee, hit nothing, and get killed
>>
>>51002607

You don't really need to do anything. Just sit back and watch half the table roll up literal demi-gods statwise and watch the DM's confusion as your party rips through CR encounters seven or eight levels above what you should be able to take.
>>
>>51002636
This. When my DM started his campaign, he sneered at point buy and said that rolling for stats is more exciting. When it was over, he sheepishly said that "This edition is not meant for rolling stats after all".
>>
>>51002607
Play a wizard, ranger or knowledge cleric and do nothing but lore checks on the monsters you fight
>>
>>51002210
Be extremely chill and mostly civilized, at least when out of combat. You come from the horde but spent a good deal of time among city folk and adapted.
>>
>>51002647

It's what happened at my table, except instead of half the table, we all rolled up demigods. I had both my main stats at 20 by level 4.
>>
Alright guys I need some opinions here

I made a rogue with the intention to go mastermind/face, but I chose a volo race and our DM is going by AL rules (1 splat max) so I can only be one of the 3 base subclasses

Now I was thinking I could go arcane trickster and be an utility/skill monkey, but that would require me to invest in INT, preventing me from being an optimal face

I also thought about dropping rogue at 2 and going full on into bard from there on, but that would prevent me from gaining any more sneak attack dice, and I would no longer be a rogue, but a bard with some rogue levels, not to mention my spell progression would be gimped and I would lose an ASI

What should I do?
>>
>>51002693

You should tell your DM to stop being a fag.
>>
File: squint.gif (796KB, 320x286px) Image search: [Google]
squint.gif
796KB, 320x286px
>>51002693
Well, that depends...
Which Volo race?
>>
>>51002693
>but that would require me to invest in INT
Friends has no saving throw. Disguise Self only gives a saving throw if they use their action to examine you. Invisibility has no saving throw.

However I think an Assassin could be a decent face. Just more disguise/false identity based, but not that different from Mastermind.
>>
Is healdruid viable in a party with very little other magic support?
>>
>>51002721
The police academy reject
>>
>>51002779
>Goodberry
>Cure Wounds
>Healing Word
>Restoration
>Mass Cure Wounds
>Heal

Yeah. You're only missing stuff like Mass Healing Word and Revivify. Good heals when you need them, and the rest of the time you can just be a bear and hit shit.
>>
>>51002813
Land Circle, or that new fairy themed one with free healing?
>>
hey, what kind of proficency does it require to make Studded Leather?

Like, weaver's? Tanners? Smith?
>>
>>51002846
Tools proficiencies are detailed literally nowhere. But if I had to guess, it would be tanner.
>>
>>51002822
If you only care about heals, go moon druid
>>
>>51002693

Go full Bard.

With invisibility at level 3 and high dex you already get every thing worth getting out of the rogue that isn't damage, but ontop of that, a full spell progression, and absurd charisma skill checks
>>
>>51002846
I would say leatherworker to make the armor, smith to make the studs

Or you can buy the studs from a smith for 1/4 the armor price
>>
>>51002870
It sounds like he's already invested a level or two, chief. Not that it isn't a good option anyway, though, but it's not great synergy.
>>
>>51002875

I got Fabricate on me, and leather armor, so I really just need to hit the right proficiency with Knowledge of Ages
>>
>>51002894

By AL rules, until and including level 4 you are allowed to re-haul your entire character at any time between adventures, except for the name.

He can even gender swap if he wants to.
>>
>>51002897
Knowledge of the ages lasts 10 minutes... you can't craft a suit of armor in 10 minutes
>>
>>51002912
I see. Well then it'd work if his DM is going by all the AL rules and not just cherry picking a few. Sounds like either he isn't given the option or wasn't aware that it's there.
>>
>>51002763
So make a rogue with CHA secondary and just pick spells without saving throws? Seems pretty good

>>51002870
The party already has a sorc, a lock and a druid, I wanna be less of a caster, if at all
Part of me is considering just going with thief, to be honest, but it doesn't synergize too well with staying at range since fast hands is mostly for melee work (pickpocketing, disarming, pants-pulling, vial-splashing, ammo-stealing etc.)
>>
>>51002937
I forget fabricates exact wording, but I expect it's quick enough.
>>
>>51002937

You can if you fabricate
>>
My GM for an upcoming game is a first-timer and wants us to use core only, just as a heads up for content I can access.

From guesses, comments by players and knowing their habits, I can assume the other players will do the following:
>Probably Human Fighter or Paladin because Knights Knights Knights, never played before though.
>Chaotic Neutral Bard/Rogue who still thinks RandumbXDDD is cool and considers pansexuality to be a character trait.
>Elf Wizard or Cleric, confuses "being a huge bitch" with "being tsundere", party superweeaboo, considers a lot of spells to be too complex to bother with (big description = hard???) so effectively is a blaster mage/healer depending on character.
>The Wildcard - Will pick things because they're suggested to him, and has little initiative. What little autonomy he has will be based on appeasing the superweeb and his desire to be the male lead in a generic trash harem anime. Does not read the rules to the game and doesn't understand the reason why his characters suck in combat is because all he does is approach the biggest thing and autoattack unless someone tells him some other options he has, at which point he'll do the first one they mention. I've never met a poorly scripted AI in person before this man so I don't know what to think here.

My GM is, fortunately, pretty fun. She has the alarming mix of being very fair and nurturing by making healing potions easy to find, magic items with fluff/ribbon enchantments common, a lot of characters for open roleplay available etc, but at the same time turning every dungeon she runs into if Dark Souls had as many traps as it does hostile mobs and if the mimics made up 1/3 of the chests in the game.

How fucked am I?
>>
>>51002966
>first timer with 5e
I shoulda clarified that, she's vetted on AD&D/3.X
>>
>>51002894
>>51002912
>>51002940
All rules are in place, so I can rebuild but my equipment stays the same, which means I get no instrument or focus

And either way, I don't really want to be a full caster
>>
>>51002957
>>51002963
Oh, shit. Carry on then.
>>
>>51002944
>The party already has a sorc, a lock

And you still need a Face guy?

Ok, but then forget Rogue, what you need is a Paladin, or a Purple Dragon Kight

(Yes, I know, the PDK isn't great, but it's just about the only fighter that puts its Charisma to mechanical use)
>>
>>51002944
If there is already a sorc and a lock then why are you even going face? Move all those points to wisdom/int and be a skill monkey thief or trickster
Take the healer feat and outheal the druid while pulling down people's pants
>>
>>51002966
>the wizard/cleric who thinks spells are too complex
Jesus effin christ. Those two classes are the most complex to play anyway because they have fucking huge spell lists and can prepare different spells each day.

Wildcard should just be a barbarian so at least they can stand there and eat damage.
>>
>>51003009
She likes to think she's smart.

He would probably think I was saying he's stupid and get offended.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to play. Part of me thinks it'd be fun to go Barbarian just to be a giant slab of greatsword-swinging horror for my own entertainment but I don't know how this group's survivability is gonna be.
>>
>>51002976

you're the boss, but a bard really is a much different type of caster than sorcerer, or most warlocks

You can't go wrong with Assassin then, You get range, you get expertise, you get infiltrations and shit, and you up your charisma over your wisdom just fine. I know people have orgasms over perception, but with rogue expertise, you can either just get Observant with one of your extra feats, or just get magic initiate, find familiar and an owl, and you'll be fine.

At Rogue 10, with expertise and Wis 12 and Observant, your passive perception will be 25.
More than enough for just about any traps
>>
>>51002553
it looks like shit

>d6 hit die for a frontliner
>few attacks
>MAD as fuck
>>
File: banterstops.jpg (66KB, 602x709px) Image search: [Google]
banterstops.jpg
66KB, 602x709px
>>51002966
>>
>>50997031
Use a longbow and maneouvers to coordinate your melee guys from range.
>>
Would Tieflings work for representing a more Elder Scrolls style of Dark Elf?
>>
>>51002966
Past some early levels, 5e tends to be an 'all-or-nothing' kind of edition where either the entire party dies or you're all [mostly] okay. Unless your'e houseruling stuff on rez magic.

It's hard to gauge not knowing your GM but 5e's forgiving on optimization so you just need to make sure your party is willing to do a slow and methodical approach to dungeons if they're meant to be hard.
>>
>>51003484
Yes, they would. Even their lore matches - dark elves are cursed by Azura for being cunts, tieflings are warped into demonic entities for making a deal with Asmoudeus.
>>
>>51002983
>>51003008
Good point, I wanted to be the face because roleplaying is my forte, but I guess I should leave it to those who actually have the stats for it

I think I'll stick to either trickster or thief and be a utility guy
>>
>>51003193
> d6 die matter if you never get hit
> have spell that help reduce damage (and ability to reduce damage at later level)
> can attack 10-20 times per round if you aren't idiot (ie. only looking at extra action)
> as MAD as Paladin is now too much

Martialfag is desparate.
>>
>>51003532
>if you never get hit
Good luck with that.
>>
>>51003502
That's what I was thinking. Literally just switch Underdark with Volcanoes and remove the spider femdom fetish.
>>
>>51003532
> can attack 10-20 times per round if you aren't idiot (ie. only looking at extra action)
?
>>
File: dwarf4.jpg (104KB, 736x998px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf4.jpg
104KB, 736x998px
>>51003532
>can attack 10-20 times per round if you aren't idiot (ie. only looking at extra action)
You what?
>>
So, im making a homebrew campaign thats a mix of spelljammer and fallout for 5e. More fantasy science than anything. Was also planning on throwing in some old one mythos s a major player and to explain some alien shenanigans and how they like to fuck with the inhabitants of the world.

anybody have any suggestions on where to read up for ideas? i was recently recommended the numeria campaign setting from pathfinder, but im not convinced. Thoughts?
>>
File: heavy metal skel3.jpg (61KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
heavy metal skel3.jpg
61KB, 450x600px
I'm playing a Glamour Bard now.
Can I multiclass into Bard to get feautres of Lore bard?
It makes sense to be able to multicalass into it, I even have to learn less to learn new bard features.
>>
>>51003744
No.
>>
>>51003602
>>51003620
Is martial fags trying to debate without knowing anything about popular broken Wizard spell?
>>
>>51003686
check out numenera

>>51003744
no you cant multiclass in the same class
ask your DM if you can swap features with Lore, but don't expect too much
>>
>>51003789
m8 im very much a caster fag but what the fuck.
Surely you dont mean haste? the ONE (1) extra attack per round right?
>>
>>51003822
which book, specifically?

i got the campaign setting, but its like 60 pages of near worthless steaming shit.So far ive gotten a lot more stuff from the technology guide.
>>
>>51003744
No it doesn't make sense.

>>51003540
With haste (or blur), blink and mirror image in effect? Actually just Blur would work.
>>
>>51003839
I am dissapointed in you then.
No. It's not haste. It is higher level than haste and require no action from your part to attacks.
>>
>>51003857
Please meet the night hag. She can cast magic missile at will.
Good luck.
>>
>>51003909
> what is shield spell
Dont have to even counterspell that shit.
>>
>>51003857
>>51003756
>>51003822
>No it doesn't make sense.
Why? Seriously, why?
>>
>>51003928
Yes, goy, continue wasting your spellslots on bumping your defense. I'm sure monsters will run out of them faster than you.
>>
>>51003889
Do you mean summons? animate objects? or actual attacks? you have me confused
>>
>>51003948
You multiclass into classes. Lore Bard is not a class, it's a bardic college.
>>
>>51003948
You flat out cannot 'multi-class' into another Archetype.

Your DM might let you but they'd be smart to not, given how strong it is to get multiple archetypes.
>>
>>51003966
> implying combat last more than 4 rounds

You must be bad at D&D then.

>>51003967
You are close. It's something along those line. You can centainly use animated objects and summon before you get that spells. It is your attack but also isn't your attack.
>>
>>51004018
>combat never lasts more than 4 rounds
I see you've never played into the higher levels.
>>
From what /5eg/ teaches, Wizards only lose when fighting hard counters to them, while fighters lose to Kobold traps.
>>
>>51004032
We are talking about Nighthag. A CR5 creature.
>>
>>51004018
just tell what the fuck you mean, like actual attacks or spell attacks? the fuck do you mean that doesnt use your bonus actions?
>>
>>51004075
So? Doesn't mean you won't run into a covent of them at and their big, scary mindcontrolled minion at level 10. Like I said, you've clearly never played into the higher levels.
>>
>>51004099
> still trying to move goal post

I will bite just this once.

At level 10? You have more spell slot than you know what to do. And a shield spell last for the whole round.

I suspect you are the one who never play caster at higher level. Stay mad martial fag.
>>
>>51004095
Come on anon.... You're a casterfag and you don't have at least 5 simulacrum with you at all time?
>>
>>50997866
I thought of something like this before: Intelligence modifier to spells known, Wisdom modifier to slots, Charisma to DC (and attack rolls when relevant). It was for 3.x rather than 5e though.

The general idea is the same though: allow/force the caster to specialize: either having a huge variety, or being able to cast repeatedly, or their spells just being incredibly reliable. However, especially in 5e, I think classes and subclasses are a more useful way to specialize. If you want to have a huge variety of spells, play a wizard, and choose a school that will allow you to expand your spellbook with options at a discount. Or play a Lore Bard. Or an Arcane Cleric. If you want to ensure your spells hit, play a sorcerer and get the metamagic that forces enemies to have disadvantage on saving throws. If you want to fire off spells constantly, get a warlock and invest in spell-like invocations, or get a sorcerer and burn sorcery points for spell slots, or get a Lore bard and steal cantrips from other classes. If you want to blow shit the fuck up, get a Draconic sorcerer or an Evoker Wizard, or do the old Beefed Up Eldritch Blast shenanigans.
>>
>>50997866
>make everyone MAD
Why?
>>
>>51000881
Looks like the pirate hideout from final fantasy 5
>>
>>51004187
Thats fucking retarded and additionally has nothing to do with bladesinger, the original discussion. If your DM allows simulacrums to make simulacrums, and actually lets you play as 6 people, hes also fucking retarded
>>
I just found out about Storm King's Thunder (I've been away).

How many "Eron Jeagor" donut steel PCs has this adventure spawned?
>>
Just had a game where a player was getting shit rolls and he started (a bit joking, but a bit serious) complaining how he hated this game.

He didn't realize it until near the end of the session but he was in the middle of his character's story arc. He ended up getting a cool reward as well. Before we ended the session he was literally dancing with excitement.

Felt good man.
>>
>>51004253
Each simulacrums has extra attack. It can use bladesong (since it's an ability and not spell). 5 of them is 10 attack per rounds.

If you don't like it then just stick to animate objects and carry 10+ daggers with you. It's fundamentally the same. But simulacrum use your attack and AC.
>>
>>51004272
I dunno, probably not that many.

How would you build one anyway? I assume a fighter with two handed style. But what about mobility? Would have to home brew this dude a grappling hook.
>>
>>51004302
Yeah I once did animate objects using a bunch of arrows.
It felt like complete bullshit.
>>
>>51004302
RAW a simulacrum moves and acts during the turn of its creator. It doesn't roll initiative and it doesn't take a turn. That means any sub-simulacrum won't attack even once. Completely ridiculous overpowered cheese anyway, but doesn't do what you want to do. Sorry.

Also, how many militia hirelings do you think you could get for 1500 GP in ruby dust?
>>
>>51004302
Animate objects is a good spell, simulacrum is crazy strong, but if your DM allows your simulacrum to make extra simulacrums, he doesnt care for balance or the fun of everyone involved
>>
So how terrible is pact of the blade actually? I'm planning on going full dex+mage armor invocation, will it be so terrible as to be not fun, or can I still do some damage?
>>
>>51004356
It will be kinda like playing a ranger with defensive style, no shield, and no subpath. Well, you do have a subpath, but you got a defensive/utility feature from it instead of colossus slayer. Good luck.
>>
>>51004237
maybe, I've never played that though.

I just thought it was a good "pirate hideout"

small enough to not have game-breaking amounts of loot, large enough to be interesting and viable as a pirate location.
loot is stored temporarily, hoisted up the inner shaft (7) and carted to one of several small trading hubs.

money is stored in accounts at investing houses in and around the capital.
the crew may debauch a great deal, but they all have a 401K should they need to retire
>>
>>51004356
You can still do some damage. But not that much until later level (12? I think), when you get +CHA to melee damage.

Also remember that you are as durable as a rogue. But you has no bonus action dash or disengage.
>>
>>51004353
But what if... Your simulacrum cast wish to cast simulacrum....
>>
>>51004356
Pact of the blade gives you an opportunity to use a melee weapon, but the thing is, using your eldritch blast is always better.
You can't really IMPROVE pact of the blade, because it's not a subclass, just like pact of the tome or of the chain. It's a single class feature. Patrons are subclasses.
>>
Tell me about times you've deliberately gotten your character killed, and why.

In-character heroic last stands or suicide charges don't count. Looking for stores of premeditated paper shredding.

Forever DMs can share times they've deliberately killed a PC, if they want.
>>
>>51004444
I really hated a player in my party, and my PC hated his PC too. So when I had the last straw, I've party killed, despite being in a situation where party killing would mean my death too.
>>
>>51004436
>but if your DM allows your simulacrum to make extra simulacrums, he doesnt care for balance or the fun of everyone involved
I don't care if its raw, allowing you to play that many people per turn in combat , everyone else will leave.
>>
>>51004400
>>51004410
>>51004439
That's fine. I'm more into the RP of it than anything else. My patron is The Seeker so that once per short rest feature will be handy to have. Would it be possible to go full MAD and pass on eldritch blast entirely?
>>
>>51004436
Boccob manifests an avatar before you, smacks you and tells you to cut that shit out.
>>
>>51004485
Even if you drop the idea.
1 simulacrum will get you on par with fighter 4 attacks (5 if you cast haste, 6 if both you and your simulacrum cast haste). So "too few attack" argument that guy made isn't valid.
>>
>>51004492
Sure, if you want to be a subpar Arcane Trickster, you can do it.
>>
What are some good magic item rewards for a druid?
Something beyond just a +1 weapon.
Nothing too ridiculous, but something good.
>>
>>51004492
I really suggest you to take a level in fighter or 2 level in paladin.

Fighting style and actual armor really help improves melee bladelock.
>>
>>51004492
>Would it be possible to go full MAD and pass on eldritch blast entirely?
It's really the opposite of MAD, but EB will still easily be your best ranged attack. Barbarians carry javelins.
>>
>>51004556
Staff of Swarming Insects is super awesome for melee/moon druid.

turn 1
Action = insect cloud
Bonus action = shift or shilelagh

turn 2 = heavy obscurred attacking everything.
>>
>>51004556
Something that will let him communicate with his party while he is in wildshape form?
>>
>>51004510
D6 hit dice remains totally valid, and will probably curb any combat (ab)use of those 4 attacks per round.

>Wow, you got 4 attacks per round for two turns before it died this time.

Why does google want to know what fireworks look like anyway?
>>
>>51004584
Yeah, good suggestion but we've got that covered.
They're about to enter level 10 territory and I'm trying to find ways to toss them all magic items.

He's a moon druid as well. >>51004579
Might be interesting.
>>
>>51004636
A picture book full of dinosaur?

A picture book full of Half-dragon beast?
>>
>>51004679
>>51004636
>A beast, humanoid, giant, or monstrosity can become a half-dragon. When a creature becomes a half-dragon, it retains all its statistics except as noted below.
Holy shit.

Holy shit.

Beasts can be half-dragons.

This means dinosaurs can be half-dragons.

You can be a T-Rex with an adult dragon's breath weapon. You can be fucking godzilla.
>>
What's a magic item that a player that is borderline retarded and never reads can't even fuck up using?
>>
>>51004758
+x weapon/armour
>>
>>51004732
And now you know what to polymorph into in the next session.
>>
>>51004732
oh shit nigga
>>
What does /tg/ think of these magic item types I'm making for my players?

Chaotic Weapon: When you roll a 1 on a damage die of an attack with this weapon, the value changes to twice your proficiency bonus. When you roll the maximum damage of a damage die of an attack with this weapon, you roll another die of the same type and add it to the damage.

Reliable: Increase the damage die of this weapon by 1 step (1d12 becomes 2d8). Any roll on a damage die of an attack made with this weapon below your proficiency bonus increases to your proficiency bonus.

I'd also make caster focuses that apply these traits to cantrips.
>>
Gonna be playing 5E for the first time in a few days. Only ever played a bit of Baldur's Gate, and I know it's almost unrecognisable.

Done the character sheet and read the player's handbook, but anything else I should know in advance?
>>
>>51004732
Sorry, meant to say young dragon's - t-rex is huge (no gargantuan beasts exist).
>>
>>51002087
>Pack of wolves attack
>pack tactics
>save vs knockdown on all attacks
My fighter learned this lesson in session 1
>>
Would there be a want or need for a version of this that only has the official printed material in it?
>>
>>51004797
Don't split the party.
Don't play an edgelord that "doesn't trust others."
Make a character that has purpose and reason to be a part of the campaign.
>>
>>51004813
I'd prefer that to be honest
>>
>>51004797
Depends, what class did you go for?
>>
>>51004797
Encourage the group to do session#0, this is where you create your PC as a group.

You will know what to expect and why these PC want to form up and stick together.
>>
>>51004853
Rogue, planning on archetyping to assassin when viable.

Charlatan background, drow race (I know about the sun disadvantages and not playing too edgy).

>>51004838
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>51004875
This is honestly the best advice and I believe would fix like 80% of the problems people complain about when it comes to their games and would mitigate most horror stories.
>>
>>51004813
Alternate idea would be different color for Non-Official (Red? Blue)
>>
>>51004813
>>51004844
I don't even know how or why third-party material ever made it onto that list in the first place.
>>
>>50999969
I gave our party sorc a point the other day. He spent it to fuck a dryad.
>>
Can I cast healing word and then ready action to cast Cure Wound after my turn end?

The rule prevent me from casting them on the same turn, but not in the same round.
>>
>>51004732
Stat a Half-Dragon Rot Grub.
>>
>>51004940
Did he get splinters?
>>
How do you deal with pacifist PCs in your games? I have a player in my game who always tries to get the enemies to lay down their weapons and talk or tries to heal them post-combat. I get that that's his character but I don't want them getting too much info too early. The rest of the party are all pretty selfish, so he's a bit of an outlier and recently has been saying he wants to kill off his PC so he can play an asshole character, too. What should I do?
>>
>>51004972
Offer him the chance to retire his character. A character shouldn't have to die to be replaced. Alternatively, talk to him about what it would take to make his character have a change of heart. PCs are more fun when they evolve over a campaign.
>>
>>51004972
> not giving him reward and motivation for RPing his character

You train him to not appreciate capture and nonlethal. It's your fault.
>>
>>51004972
He doesn't seem to fit with the party, it would be fair for him to part ways
>>
>>51004972
sounds exactly like the guy who came in here the last time

i'm kinda hoping you're baiting because hating pacifist PC is a telltale sign of being a garbage DM

> getting too much info too early
maybe you should rethink your shit instead of forcing this poor guy into murderhobo
>>
>>51004972
Get this. NPCs can lie and be ungrateful. They can be downright despicable even when saved.
>>
>>51004797
>>51004888
And this >>51004972 is what happen when you don't do session#0.
>>
>>51004943
new healing meta!

But to be honest, I'd allow it, unless I'm missing something because it seems legit under RAW.
Healing isn't super crazy good anyway. More often than not strong monsters will tear through your healing faster than you can heal it back. Healing is usually the best to save for when someone goes down, in my experience. Because when my players preemptively heal up like 8 hp, that doesn't help them much when next round they eat 60 damage from a breath weapon.

In this scenario you'd have to spend two spell slots, and use up your reaction. I'd probably not mind it if I were your DM.
>>
File: www.pinterest.com.jpg (51KB, 400x525px) Image search: [Google]
www.pinterest.com.jpg
51KB, 400x525px
okay /tg/ who's ready for some pleb shit?
i created my own homebrew warlock patron with minimal stealing from other sources
let me know what you think and what i can change to balance it

long story short your patron is a powerful undead like Veccna or the Raven queen

Bonus spells
1: False life, ray of sickness
2: Blindness/Deafness, Web
3: Stinking Cloud, Bestow Curse
4: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Phantasmal Killer
5: Contagion, Hallow

Dread Visage:
Starting at 1st level, your patron bestows upon you the ability to invoke their unholy visage.
As an action, you can cause each creature in a 15-foot cube to make a wisdom saving throw
against your warlock save DC. The creatures that fail their saving throw are frightened by you
until the end of your next turn. This ability can affect undead.

Once you use this feature you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
>>
>>51004933
Because you don't read or pay attention. DM's Guild reviews that that used to alternate with UA articles and then got moved to Dragon+
>>
>>51004943
>>51005043

You have to cast and concentrate as part of the readied action. The spell isn't released until your reaction on another turn, but the cast happens on your turn. That's not a legal combination with Healing Word.
>>
>>51005070
>>51005043
Thanks.
>>
File: themark_by_algido-d9foset.jpg (152KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
themark_by_algido-d9foset.jpg
152KB, 1024x576px
>>51005047
Reanimator:
Once you reach 6th level you may as a ritual raise an undead minion
as either a skeleton or a zombie from a humanoid corpse.
Undead creatures raised this way gain the following benefits:
-The creatures hit point maximum is increased by an amount equal to your warlock level.
-The creature adds your proficiency bonus to its damage rolls.
You may raise up to two minions this way instead of one at 7th level and up to three at 9th level.
On each of your turns, you may as a bonus action mentally command any minion made this way as long
as that minion is within 60 feet of you (if you control more than one minion, you can command any or all of them
at the same time issuing the same command to each one). You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn
or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a doorway.
If you issue no commands the creature merely defends itself. Once given an order it will follow it to the best of its ability until the task is complete.
Minions created this way last until destroyed or dismissed but you may not have any more under your command than your level will allow. Any attempt to make more will cause
you to lose control of previously created undead.

Dark Metamorphosis:
Starting at 10th level you become immune to all diseases, poisons, and gain resistance against necrotic damage, and an advantage to save vs fear and charm effects. furthermore, you are immune to the poisoned condition.

Undead General:
Starting at 14th level you learn the rituals necessary to create unlife permanently. You can use this ability in two ways:
- You can use the Create Undead as in the spell, without components or using a spell slot. The created ghouls will stay under your control indefinitely. You can control undead in numbers equal to your warlock level.
>>
>>51005070
>When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore
the trigger. Rem em ber that you can take only one reaction per round.
>When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires concentration (explained in chapter 10). If your concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the web spell and ready magic missile, your web spell ends, and if you take damage before you release magic missile with your reaction, your concentration might be broken.

If the reaction doesn't happen or you choose to ignore it, do you still expend the slot?
>>
>>51005070
>You have to cast and concentrate as part of the readied action.

Oh shit, you're completely right. Thanks, I'd entirely forgotten about that caveat.
>>
>>51005104
>If the reaction doesn't happen or you choose to ignore it, do you still expend the slot?
Correct. That's part of "cast it as normal."
>>
Does anyone here use the spell point system for sorcerers? I like the look of it because it seems to give back the flexibility they had in older editions, but at the same time, being able to cast Fireball 10x a day is a little worrying.
>>
>>51005104
Yes. Because you
>cast it as normal
Also, it is concentration, so if you lose your concentration as it says, the spell is lost and so is the slot you used, because you've already cast it.
>>
>>51005098
thats the rough draft of it
animate undead seems like it would op on a warlock so i thought it'd be better off as a class feature so you cant exploit the spell
i wanted a character with a strong necromancy vibe instead of just a minionmancer
alot of fear and debuff with maybe a couple of elite undead bodyguards
i feel it fits in well thematically and can have some cool story arcs
Veccna talking to you through your minions knowing that no matter what you do youre following his plan
or maybe you are just a becon of Atropos, a herald of undeath that you are powerless to stop.
>>
>>51005122
Converting slots into sorcery points and back into higher level slots can do the same thing and isn't as easy to do or abuse. But can still net you a ton more fireballs.

I think that sorcerers just need access to a bit more of the elemental spells. Seems silly to me that draconic sorcerers exist but only fire and cold are really viable. This can be fixed of course, if your DM is cool and lets you change fireball into an acid ball or something.
>>
>>51005171
>acid ball
That's what Vitriolic Sphere is. It's in a free pdf so there's no excuse for not having access.

Lighting is decent too. Acid and poison are the only ones suffering badly due to a lack of spells matching their types.
>>
Giving up the use of your only actual class feature (Metamagic) for spell slots equal to a wizard is retarded.
>>
>>51004813
>>51004844
>>51004897
>>51005061
Here ya go, I don't think I missed anything. And since this isn't likely to change as much as the kitchen sink list, this should get added to the mega.
>>
>>51005271
Meant to reply to
>>51005171
>>
>>51005047
there's already a warlock patron for Vecna in unearthed arcana called The Undying
>>
>>51005061
So? Just because the DM's Guild material got reviewed on the real D&D website or Dragon+ doesn't make it first-party material.
>>
New thread?
>>
>This is balanced because the Gm is ultimately the one who decides how stuff goes so he can go full monkey paw an your shit
Why people think is ok to create broken stuff just because some GM might (and I say might) try to fix it later?
>>
>>51004960
Nah, but his girl in town ain't gonna be happy.
>>
>have a concept I really want to play for an ancient paladin/fey warlock
>bladelock is terrible, but can't use smites with eldritch blast
>also MAD

The best solution I can think off is taking Shillelagh and 20CHA, but that's only 2d8+10 per round as base, compared to a 3d10+5 eldritch blast
>>
>>51005171
>>51005212
I think more than a single spell it's the fact that fire has a good spell on every level (firebolt, burning hands, scorching ray, fireball). Acid has... acid splash (crap), chromatic orb - then they don't fuckign get melf's acid arrow -, nothing on lvl 3 either, then vitriolic sphere.

Also it's a fucking joke that sorcs get Protection from Energy but not Absorb Elements.
>>
>>51005383
stop trying to optimize for damage and optimize for fun. seriously you dont fall that far behind the 'best' build or whatever.
>>
>>51005383
It's perfectly fine, but there's little reason to take more than 3 to 5 levels in warlock.

At level 5 with PAM and one ASI to up charisma to 18, that's
3d8+1d4+16 if you land all attacks and use a bonus action and reaction. Without smites.
>>
>>51004773
Chaotic seems too good. Pick either the lowest or highest value to trigger the effect.

Reliable sounds great, and I might just steal that.
>>
>>51005394
That's a bit of a stretch to say Scorching Ray is good. It's good at level 3. It scales like ass since the errata that made the +Charisma to damage feature only apply once per spell.
>>
>>51005430
They were within about 1-2 damage of each other at various points from what I calculated.
>>
>>51005271
But you end up with a ton more high level slots, IF you want. And it can be done out of combat or in combat.

I do agree compared to wizard they're still a bit subpar, however.

>>51005212
Yeah, basically what >>51005394 said. I just used fireball as a random example. I wasn't putting much thought into what I picked for mechanical refluff.
>>
>>51005452
Well, for example, a chaotic dagger has a 50% chance of rolling max or greater damage. I'll grant you, the returns diminish as you go up the dice, but I would at least throw in a stipulation that it has to be a single die weapon. Otherwise something like a chaotic greatsword + gwf means an absurdly high average damage. But hey, it's your campaign, and you know your players. That's just the easiest way I can think of to break it.
>>
>>51005212
Lightning suffers because some of the best lightning spells aren't available to them either.
>>
>>51005383
>>51005428
Why the hell do you need to be a bladelock? Be almost entirely a paladin, only take one or two levels of warlock, and use the spell slots to smite or cast Hex with.
>>
>>51005398

The rest of the party have an average DPR of 70 and warlock/paladin is hardly a utility blend

Being irrelevant isn't fun, unfortunately
>>
>>51005329
the only undying patron i see is the undying light which seems more anti undead than anything
could you link to this other patron?
>>
>>51005550
What level is the current party at? That's pretty fucking high for an average.
>>
>>51005573

Most are 11, except the sorcerer who is 10
>>
>>51005552

It's SCAG, not UA
>>
>>51005522
Because 3 levels of warlock and you've got:

>Two Invocations, such as false life at-will or agonizing blast so you have a decent ranged back-up attack or eldritch sight or devil's sight or book of ancient secrets for all level 1 and 2 rituals or misty visions
>Shillelagh + Guidance + Resistance Eldritch Blast + Booming Blade or any other combination of cantrips you want.
>2 short rest level 2 spell slots to use smites with and other things
>Level 1 and level 2 warlock spells
>A patron feature, such as fiend's

Considering, compared to a normal paladin, you can increase charisma alone instead of wanting to increase both charisma AND strength, you can make much better use of features such as aura of protection, sacred weapon and spells in general. Easily overpowered if you have access to the oathbreaker option, since if I recall that gives you +damage equal to charisma.

The main things that would be missed would be the level 11 feature, the level 20 feature and possibly level 5 or 6 or 7 if you multiclass too early.
>>
>>51005550
The dilemma you're in is entirely self-imposed. You can play the flavorful character you have in mind, or you can count DPR and bitch about "relevance" like an autistic creep. You are free to do either of those things, but they're always going to be mutually exclusive.
>>
I'm making my first character and I'm lost as to actually inventing a, well, character.

My brain reaches into "imaginary personalities" and fails to pull anything out, and I just feel sort of apprehensive about the half baked ideas I can make by imagining various movie characters in different situations. Whereas the other guys all seem really excited about the characters they've made.
>>
>>51005550
>wants to play one of the most optimal builds out there, given both paladin and palock are pretty damn optimal
>thinking what DPR the rest of the group does is relevant when they're inevitably going to be worse than you overall

Sure, a fighter using action surge might have more DPR than you, but you have fucking paladin abilities, why do you care?
>>
>>51005502
If it makes a dagger a good weapon, then I like it even more. I'm the one applying it to the weapon and maybe to casting focuses for cantrips, so I'll have control over edge cases. I'm not likely to consider a greatsword an edge case because of PAM.

>>51005589
Sorcerers and wizards are not sustained single-target damage classes. You'll shine on area damage.
>>
>>51005646
So don't copy another character. Just decide on a background and circumstances of birth, then decide what you'd do in that situation.
>>
>>51005646
The pro-wrestling advice is the best. Take your own personality, adjust one knob to 11, and adjust others down or up as necessary. Each character you make should push things a little farther from the default until you're comfortable playing something that's not just you.
>>
>>51005646
Goto whothefuckismydndcharacter and reroll until something sparks an idea.
>>
>>51005646
The way I always do it is once you have your stats and your class and all that, to build a character around it.

The observant+superhighperception guy is incredibly paranoid. Now, you can build a backstory as to why that is.

The barbarianrogue started out his life as a chieftain of a small nomadic tribe (where the barbarian comes from), but they were too weak when faced with some magical creatures and didn't understand how to beat them and everybody but the chieftain who managed to make a nimble escape survive. They moved to a city to improve and find people who'd help kto ill these creatures (reason to stick with party) and they've been dealing with less legal areas and guilds, doing brawls and fights in maybe secret arenas or rings to make use of their barbaric abilities and earn money through it. (Where athletics expertise for grappling/wrestling comes from and rogue levels).

>2 levels of warlock for mask of many faces. Have a tiefling who looks incredibly evil and hides it.

You know, that sort of thing. But that's probably just me, I don't really see much point in making a character before the class levels.
>>
>>51005646
Here's how I do it. Pick a race, then pick a background. Roll 1d4 to select one of the characteristics, and then roll to pick the characteristic. Look at the bit of characterization you have, and then pick a class. Start asking questions. Why is the character this way? What's a significant event that affected their personality? How do they carry that weight? Pick another trait, or roll one - your choice. Repeat the process. Answer your own questions, and you should end up with a fairly fleshed out character. Don't worry about fleshing everything out, leave room for them to grow and improve, and that's it.
>>
How does Crossbow Expert work fluffwise? I'm having trouble picturing loading a crossbow that fast
>>
Does anyone have that mind flayer armor concept art?
>>
>>51005819
But a guy shooting fire out of his eyes is fine?
>>
>>51005819
>I'm having trouble picturing loading a crossbow that fast
Then try harder. D&D characters accomplish some superhuman feats, including reloading that fast.
>>
>>51005428
>>51005383
Sorry, I forgot about duelling

It'd be

3d8+1d4+24 due to having +2 damage to each attack.

The DM sounds like the sort of faggot to hand out magical items though they all are so it's increased to 3d8+1d4+32 if you get a +2 magical weapon.
Or, then, you WILL get 20 charisma easily enough, so it'll become 3d8+1d4+36.
With a quarterstaff.
And a shield.
And having a +5 to every nearby person's saves.
And having +5 to your spell's save DC and all that.
And then all the aforementioned warlock features, for delaying your paladin progression by 3 levels.
>>
>>51005819
Envision it this way. The person has mastered the craft of crossbow loading. They've spent hours, days, weeks, months honing the ability to reload a crossbow. They have it down to an art form.

Alternatively, maybe they've made a small mechanic tweak to their crossbow to allow faster reloading.
>>
>>51005871
>forgot to hand out magic items
>implying you're entitled to the magic items you want as part of your leet optimized build

You'll take what your character can find and you'll like it
>>
>>51005819
Repeating crossbows.

Shame you still need a free hand to load it though, but you could say that's 'Even repeating crossbows have to be loaded, they're just loaded at the end of your turn' or something.
>>
>>51005970
DMs are practically gauranteed to hand out +1 magical items. Because they're uncreative faggots half the time.

If they DON'T hand out magical items, all the more power to you, because nobody else will have a magical weapon aside from you due to shillelagh.

However, if they DO hand out magical items, the Paladin will gain the most benefit from it as at level 5 they can fairly reliably make 4 attacks per round.

It is not a required part of the build, it is merely a point that increases damage.
>>
>>51006018
never had a paladin, 4 attacks? shouldn't it be 3 with PAM?
>>
>>51005970
What's that? You're a fighter? You dream of a +1 greatsword? You designed your whole build around getting a +1 greatsword? You'd suck my dick for a +1 greatsword?

Here's a club that does bonus damage to doors.
>>
>>51006075
PAM gives you a reaction attack. You could call it 3.5 attacks since it might only trigger half the time. Kinda depends, because a spiteful DM might start trying to make monsters avoid walking straight to you, or it might not trigger at all in a ranged encounter. However, most enemies are melee and will love to shove their dirty faces in everything.
>>
>>51006018
I kinda feel like I should just have +0 magical weapons with some gimmicky small abilities, at least in levels 1-5

Anyone got a list of good ones?
>>
>>51001733
Inspiration by RAW does last between settings, that's why it's on your character sheet
>>
>>51006086
>tfw other players get hand-tailored bullshit that effectively doubles your damage, defences, makes them better at your role than you are, devalues your abilities, barbarian gets flying boots so your flying ability looks stupid and their main disadvantage is now gone
>tfw it's your turn
>here's a club that does bonus damage to doors

>>51006113
I'd actually say not to bother with very small things (Say, if you roll a 10 you deal +1d4 damage) but instead abilities that are situational but powerful.

A sword that, when thrown into the air, will curve towards the nearest major threat within about a mile. Not very effective in anything but a wide open space, functions as a +1 dagger for throwing purposes against a major threat, or -1 dagger for throwing at anything else.

A maul that houses some sort of anti-ghost thing at the end of it. It's effectively only a greatclub instead of a maul, but if you've taken part of killing somebody with it then the thing inside it is fuelled and it becomes an effective ghost-clubbing weapon. Say, it deals triple weapon damage dice (3d8) when attacking ghosts if you've been using it enough beforehand.
... Honestly, no, that just sounds like an annoying weapon to lug around.

A reasonably powerful +1 sword with some other ability. It has to be sacrificed at an important dungeon's door in order to get through the first part safely. Possession of it will cause extreme aggression inside the dungeon if they try any other way.

Dunno.
>>
>>51002647
>tfw experiencing this right now
>tfw new to balancing encounters in the first place
what do?
>>
>>51006259
Look, I'm not saying this to hurt you, but your ideas, the 3 of them, are garbage.
>>
File: 1456723867970.png (92KB, 270x257px) Image search: [Google]
1456723867970.png
92KB, 270x257px
>>51002784
>party face
>can't speak
>>
>>51006103
The thing with it triggering when enemies approach you that comes up most often is that the enemies have the audacity to all approach you at the same time instead of waiting in line to come in once per round. The second most common is that you're a guy with a stick who has to hit things so you have to approach them and you don't get an OA with it at all.
>>
>>51006315
>>51006259
>>51006113
Yeah, it's fine. I made them up on the spot, and I was still trying to think of something else.

I'm mostly trying to give examples here, because it's important they actually have some sort of function rather than just 'you sometimes deal 1 extra damage in a specific situation'.

Don't forget the sword that glows when orcs are near. It's very much like the throwing sword thing, and that's kind of the point there. It has a utility function that doesn't increase combat ability, but promotes player creativity.

That's what needs to be focused on.
>>
>>51006325

>Both charisma based characters are played by literal potatoes
>Party Wizard has to be the face

Like, this one potato thinks he's hot shit. He'll say something completely obvious and/or stupid and say "persuasion roll?" No you don't get a fucking persuasion roll for saying "I can help you out!" God dammit.
>>
>>51006259
>tfw other players get hand-tailored bullshit that effectively doubles your damage, defences, makes them better at your role than you are, devalues your abilities, barbarian gets flying boots so your flying ability looks stupid and their main disadvantage is now gone
>tfw it's your turn
>here's a club that does bonus damage to doors

Fret not, my child

The barbarian's flying boots only function during a full moon, the druid's enchanted sigil is cursed to slowly reduce his max HP by one every day, and the wizard's ring boosts his magical damage but only against doors
>>
Next week I'll be playing for the first time since 2e and even then I mostly DMed. Would it be be a terrible idea to play a rogue built solely for social interaction / charisma?
>>
>>51006384
New thread is up.
>>
>>51006380
It's the future

You can do both
>>
>>51006354
http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/
Thread posts: 421
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.