[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 63

File: dissapointed weyoun.jpg (82KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
dissapointed weyoun.jpg
82KB, 692x530px
Disappointed Weyoun Edition

Previous thread >>50873470

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>http://www.onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>http://www.ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>http://www.stdimension.org/int/

/stg/ Errata

The Adventures of the Ark Royal Crew (an /stg/ setting)
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

The history of Klingon Civil Rights/Star Trek artwork (more /stg/ headcanon)
>http://klingonhistory.weebly.com/
>>
Forgot to update the previous thread link. Here's the actual one.
>>50944464
>>
Food for thought:
Despite claims that the Federation is Communist, we get to see what an actual Communist state in space looks like through the Breen Confederacy.

>all wear full body uniforms to hide physical differences, even on their homeworld
>all speak a binary code language to remove all trace of accent and dialect.
>total dedication to victory, with little to no care for casualties
>highly secretive society
>no indication of external trade
>no indication of any monetary system
>fully willing to enslave others to acquire rescources
>>
>>51005538
I don't think the UFP is a Communist state, though I've certainly hear it described as that by a few people. It is however an unattainable utopia. Free food, free entertainment, perfect self-actualisation, exemplary scientific progress. It all rings through slightly hollow.
>>
File: U.S.S. Agamemnon K-13 2260s.jpg (2MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
U.S.S. Agamemnon K-13 2260s.jpg
2MB, 6830x3840px
>>51006036

This. Moreover, the Federation was more believable in TOS, back when being paid for serving in Starfleet was apparently a thing, and people worked hard jobs (like dilithium mining) because the profit was worth the discomfort and danger.
>>
>>51006036
the 0% crime thing always stuck in my craw a bit
>>
>>51006185
This. Roddenberry, like Lucas, did not seem to work well on his own. At least in terms of Star Trek.

The episodes in TOS that were mostly just him are some of the most cringe inducing.

And then he got full reign in TNG season 1.
>>
>>51006411
At least later episodes of TNG and DS9 remedy that.
>>
>>51006185
This is why I think DS9 did so well. By setting the show outside of Federation borders, barking back to the more frontiersy feel of TOS without going backwards in time, we got a much more believable, down to earth Trek series. Now of course this doesn't mean TNG was bad. By stepping away from Roddenberry's early work and focusing on an entirely different type of space exploration they bought themselves incredible artistic freedom.
>>
Hoping to try out ST:Adventures this Friday. My group's go-to GM isn't huge on running sci-fi campaigns, so I'll be running it. Has anybody had a chance to play? I want to know if there are any house rules that people might recommend, or if there's any reason I should just bail on it now, rather than trying to make it work.
>>
File: Quark's Bar.jpg (7MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Quark's Bar.jpg
7MB, 6830x3840px
>>51007477

Agreed. It's one of the primary reasons I like DS9 as much as I do.
>>
>>51007582
OH GOD IT'S A THOLIAN STAINED GLASS WINDOW HIDING A RED ORB. EVACUATE THE STATION.
>>
one of the best parts of DS9 was this fuckin guy for sure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUtvtPjVwJs
>>
>>51007900

Vic was based
>>
>>51007900
I really don't get why people liked vic.
>>
>>51007582
>TFW is that a wire fence floor or does it just look like that?
If it is the former then that's a terrible design or a bar since you would keep losing shit down there.
>>
>>51008209
Looks like tile.
>>
>>51008209

Not to mention it'd be terribly unsanitary.

>>51007799

Just the idea of the Tholians with an Orb is enough to make one worried.
>>
>>51008367
>Just the idea of the Tholians with an Orb is enough to make one worried.
No, some Obsidian Order agents hid an Orb there during the last days of the occupation because Dukat was intent on fucking them over. If all three of the Red Orbs met, the galaxy was fucked. Unless you don't believe Kai Weyoun, who says it's going to be glorious. The Millennium trilogy was a trip and a half.

Can I get a Kosst Amojan?
>>
>>51008419
Are they worth a read?
>>
File: 2237812.jpg (30KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
2237812.jpg
30KB, 848x480px
>>51007799
>>51008367
>>51008419
>Red Orb?
This is a wormhole aliens thing right? So I'm guessing this is a bad extra dimensional aliens blow up the universe if the plot device things are brought together. I'm not trying to be funny I really don't recall this element from DS9. I'm putting out this out of my ass but I'm betting I'm mostly right. They really need to stop doing that in storylines in Sci-fi shows, it is very boring and annoying.
>>
>>51005375
It's a shame we didn't get to see much of the Dominion culture beyond the top three species. The only other one I recall showing up were those human-like people that Bashir tried curing of the plague the Dominion sprayed on them for insurrection or something.

I've been curious about how the day-to-day lives of your average Dominion vassal goes. I'm guessing there's a fair amount of fear, considering how an entire world can be punished for the crimes of a minority. Part of me kinda figures it's sort of like the Tau Empire or Latveria, in that that for the most part, it's a decent life, probably better than some alternatives, but God help you if you or your family member says the wrong thing.
>>
File: vorta snacks.jpg (28KB, 432x461px) Image search: [Google]
vorta snacks.jpg
28KB, 432x461px
>>51009776
you a very valuable and potentially comfortable cog, until you are not
>>
>>51009776
When someone tells you that you will get fuukan rekt if you rock the boat you know what you don't fucking do?

You don't fucking rock the boat and you encourage people standing close to you not to rock the boat.

It's like with Gustave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_(crocodile)

Don't go near his river and you will be fine. Go near his river and he will eat you.

>Oh noes i went near his river and got eaten!

You have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>51007477
>>51007582
>the Utopia isn't actually as good as we thought it would be
>the little man stirring trouble in paradise
>turns out that high technology of the future doesn't stop people from being shitheads
>the vaunted authority figure who was supposed to keep everything perfect doesn't do shit, either out of apathy or out of political manoeuvring
>in terms of cynicism and inverting common themes, is practically satire of its contemporaries

Guys, is DS9 Trek-punk?
>>
>>51006036
The UFP is a military dictatorship where material condition have radically changed the implications of such.
>>
>>51011156
I'll point you to "homefront"/"paradise lost". In these episodes the presence of armed starfleet personnel on the streets is stated to be unprecedented. The president doesn't want to do it because it would undermine the the image of the federation. Admiral whatever-the-fuck tries and fails to install a military dictatorship.

The UFP is a Federal Government, sort of like the EU, with stronger integration, but most similar to the USA. All member worlds have their own governments that govern as they see fit, but also beholden to the laws of the Federation. Each member world then has a number of representatives on the federation council that elect a president. Starfleet has no say in this process and is strictly controlled by the President and the Federation Council.

I get that it's easy to see an episode of trek and assume that everybody is somehow a member of starfleet, but that's only because we're following starfleet officers. If you watched a show about the US military would you then assume that the US is a military junta? There is a no-doubt, vibrant society within the UFP that we don't get to have much of a look at, barring the occasional visit to Earth.

A show about the trials of everyday life on a starfleet world would be rather odd, likely ending up something like Caprica.
>>
Amin Maritza the cowardly file clerk who hid under his bunk weeping like a woman because he couldnt stand the screams of the Bajorans.
>>
>>51011451
The captains seem to have unilateral and almost unrestricted power, that's what I was going for.
>>
File: ghemor smores.jpg (87KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
ghemor smores.jpg
87KB, 692x530px
>>51011535
>>
>>51011555

This is probably due to the fact that many captains are many hundreds of light years away from Starfleet HQ, and this distance requires them to be semi-autonomous.

I'd suggest that the position likely also has enhanced scrutiny to go along with its responsibility (and the chance that a poor or misguided choice could lead to a career ending event), but VOY and Admiral Janeway puts the lie to this.
>>
>>51011555
Over their crew, yes. Otherwise only in certain situations, mostly in crises. When Picard or Sisko show up to a colony that's about to be destroyed by *randomly selected philosophical horror of the week* they have an amount of implicit authority, in the same way that paramedics and auxiliaries are given authority during emergencies. Captains are also expected to act as diplomats, when needed. So, weeks away from the nearest Federation representative, the Captain can negotiate in a limited capacity for the UFP.

But if a captain turned up to, lets say, Betazed and demanded that they hand over all their annoying nasal-voiced women, then the planet's democratically elected government would rightly tell them to fuck off. And then that captain would likely face an investigation and potential court martial.
>>
Man felt bad when they killed off Ziyal
>>
>>51011699
I feel like Janeway only got the promotion out of recognition of "look you're fucking insane but you did manage to drag them all the way back home", and she doesn't actually do much Admiraly stuff. Apart from being OPplsnerf against borg.
>>
My dream Trek show is a deep space colonization mission to the Delta Quadrant. Multiple ships. Colonists, Starfleet, Private Contractors etc. Perhaps characters come from different strata of life. Hey they can have Neelix be a recurring character
>>
>>51011770

There's also the other bugnuts admirals to consider. It seems like only the power hungry and insane ones get promoted.

Not even Kirk was immune to the crazy of being promoted.
>>
>>51011590
>>51011535
That could have been a great moment of personal growth for Kira as she learns to shed the illusion of all Bjorans being angelic blameless innocents and every Cardassian being Evil™. A blurring of the lines in her black and white world as she has to confront some dark truths about some of the things she and her associates did and let go of some of her prejudices.

Nope. Forgotten next episode.
>>
>>51011803
Well hey, maybe it just keeps them behind desks and away from the Captain's chair where their fuckups have consequences
>>
>>51011770
I'd imagine given how big Voyager's return was that anything other than a promotion would've raised a lot of eyebrows too, possibly leading to some of the shiftier stuff they did in the Delta Quadrant ending up in the public eye.
Meanwhile, a promotion looks pretty standard given the extraordinary circumstances and everyone except the most skeptical observer will just forget about it as soon as it falls off the front page of the newspapers.
>>
File: ds9 butts.gif (829KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
ds9 butts.gif
829KB, 500x304px
>>51011808
to be fair she did help the cardies juryrig that one freighter to blow up some klingons
>>
>>51010829
>Guys, is DS9 Trek-punk?
It is more rejecting the current mind set and going back to an older one. Where the MC reclaims his spirituality instead of rejecting it.
>>
>>51011867

True.

>>51011880

I completely agree with that. Janeway's promotion was to get her out of the command chair, and keep the populace in the dark about the clusterfuck that was the journey through the Delta Quadrant.

Including giving Borg weapons. Imagine how well that would go over with the families of those who both lived through and died at Wolf 359, and the attack on Sector 001.
>>
>>51011770
>>51011880
Mind you, she did bring a ton of new tech home, and crippled the Borg real good, even if only temporarily. The shady stuff seems to be a prerequisite almost to becoming admiral.
>>
>>51011884
>foreshadowing.gif
>>
>>51012135
mustve been a bitch to deal with for temporal affairs
>>
>>51012146
They didn't do too much time travel. Every time it happened it was the time cops' fault themselves.
>>
>>51012184
By comparison, Kirk and Picard did a lot more damage to the timeline.
>>
>>51009761
It's from the novels. Basically a prophecy from the very dawn of Bajoran history is set to come true on 2400, and with the help of three orbs coming together the universe will be destroyed/remade. To stop it, all sorts of goofy events happen, up to and including a Picard deep in the throes of Irumodic Syndrome, Admiral Nog, and a time shifted Vash travel back in time in Bajor's history and create the prophecies/modify them. The last book is a gigantic clusterfuck of about 6 timelines intersecting and intertwining to prevent the universe's destruction.
>>
File: iWKad22.jpg (90KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
iWKad22.jpg
90KB, 1440x1080px
>>51013675
>the novels.

Just.
>gigantic clusterfuck
Nailed it.
>>
File: ZIPfYNB.png (383KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
ZIPfYNB.png
383KB, 610x458px
>>51013675
>TFW And the Trek writers make fun of the time travel bullshit in B5. :P
Seriously, some of those Trek writers are way WAY more guilty of doing a whole mountain of cow paddies whole of time BULLSHIT than we ever saw in B5. I really hate the way the do it in Trek too. They are way too casual about doing it and for the most trivial things at times. At least in B5, if you wanted to fuck with time you had to seriously want t do it for a very good reason. NONE OF THIS OOPS WE TIME TRAVELED AGAIN OR OOPS WE MADE SAPIENT LIFE AGAIN! SOORY, GUYS. Or a whole number of other incredible stupid reasons to have drama. I mean the DS9 guys could at least write drama at times with it being a totally bullshit reason.
>If you anons can't tell I REALLY HATE TIME TRAVEL STORIES IN TREK!
>>
>>51015401
Sorry, for that not being the most coherent thing ever but Trek time travel is my pet peeve with the setting.
>>
>>51015401
B5 Time Travel:
>required something super ancient and incomprehensibly powerful to use
>limited in amount it was used to a major event with a closed time-loop and a few visions of a possible future
>said major event was both foreshadowed in an interesting manner and closed out a character's story in a decent manner upon it's conclusion in a way that gave explanation to other important events

What is there even to make fun of?
>>
>>51015401
>>51014984
Point of order, but the writers of this trilogy are the same people who wrote the Shatnerverse books, and most of them aren't this batshit.
>>
>>51010829

No, Battlestar Galactica remake is Trek-punk, in that it's Ron Moore taking all the things he liked about DS9 and making things over the top ridiculous and serious.
>>
>>51011711
>>51011699
People shit on Janeway but didn't Sisko shoot a chemical WMD at a planet to make everyone leave?
They should have just made every planet in the DMZ uninhabitable to both Cardassians and Humans, desu.
>>
>>51015500
>What is there even to make fun of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkzV_CVFW8
It would be easier to explain if just watch the clip. They take a direct jab at the whole Sinclair going back in time and becoming Valen.
>>
>>51017235
Trek writers gave us Warp 10 lizards. Even the dumbest B5 episode is not 1/100 as shit as that.
>>
>>51017800
Few things are. I'm sure Farscape could manage.
>>
>>51019088
High points were worth it.
>>
>>51019110
That's most sci-fi shows to be fair. Unless they're truly terrible, each show has the cool shit that everybody remembers fondly and the dumb shit that we try to forget.
Quod erat demonstrandum:
DS9 had "In the Pale Moonlight" but also had "Run Along Home"
TNG had "The Drumhead" but then also had "Sub Rosa"
So on, so forth.
>>
>>51019410
Run Along Home wasn't that bad. I'd have mentioned the one where Molly becomes a cavegirl, or the ones where 50's style Vegas singer hologram is a more effective therapist than the actual therapist.
For what it's worth I don't remember lows in Farscape to be nearly as bad as those reached by basically every other major sci-fi franchise.
>>
>>51019464
That's because Farscape was a fever dream of a show. I distinctly remember an episode entirely inside Crichtons head as he gets lobotomised.
>>
Why did Gul Dukat turn from morally grey man on his own stubborn and slow path to redemption into MAKE CARDASSIA GREAT AGAIN? It really seemed like a sudden and out of character turn for him to side with the dominion.
>>51011808
Its not forgotten next episode, theres actually a lot of episodes in which she is much less hostile to cardassians and she works hard to try and uphold the peace. I felt her attitude changed greatly over the course of the show, until season six which im currently halfway through, where they've thrown all that out the window, though to be fair she did just go through what was almost a second cardassian invasion and its understandable it might sour her a bit. Besides that point there are a number of episodes where she makes it clear she doesnt think of what she did as "angelic" such as that time she lied to odo about murdering someone, choosing to go kill cardassians rather than stay with her father, her conversation with thomas riker where she discusses terrorism and most of all the episode where she is kidnapped by one of her former victims, at the end of which she claims there is no such thing as innocence.
>>
What the hell was that game that Riker was playing in Icarus Factor?

top kek
>>
>>51007477
>barking back
*harking back
>>
>>51020254
It's like the pugil-sticks fighting they used to have in Gladiators
>>
>>51019464
The singer was meant to be equivalent of Ol' Blue Eyes himself, I'm not certain that there can ever be a counselor as effective as he.
>>
File: IMG_1312.jpg (281KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1312.jpg
281KB, 1080x1080px
>>51015401
>>51015454
You're not wrong. There are only 3 occasions on which I think time travel in Star Trek has paid off.

1: City on the Edge of Forever
I don't actually much care for the premise here but the acting was top notch

2: Yesterday's Enterprise
An interesting, almost self containing episode that answered some questions about the Enterprise C and gave an insight into how strenuous the relationship between the Federation and Klingons was, after Khitomer.

3: Trials and Tribble-ations
You'd have to be one heartless bastard not to enjoy this one.

Otherwise, they're sloppy, lazy episodes that do nothing but create paradoxes and Doctor Who levels of doscontinuity.
>>
>>51019464
>or the ones where 50's style Vegas singer hologram is a more effective therapist than the actual therapist.
Hey, Paper Moon is great, don't knock it.
>>
File: mad.jpg (321KB, 1324x1808px) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
321KB, 1324x1808px
if you dont think Vic is one of the best characters you can fuck right off
>>
>>51021682
I just don't get his relevance in the show. Why did we need him?
>>
>>51021730
He's there to give the characters a different perspective. He puts an old earth spin on the character's problems.

Do we really NEED him? probably not.
>>
>>51007799
Fuck me, I loved those novels. The DS9 Millennium Trilogy was amazing. Campy as shit in places, but damn, I loved it.
>>
>>51020964

>Trials and Tribble-ations

Probably my favorite time travel episode, I love everyones reaction to TOS Klingon design.

>They are Klingons AND it is a long story...
>>
>>51023197
>They are Klingons AND it is a long story...
90 minutes isn't too terribly long
>>
>>51023469
>>51023197
One of the narrative conversations I am really tired of is

>It's a long story

Especially when it's not.

"We got mutated due to illadvised genetic alterations"

There. Not long at all.
>>
>>51023469
>>51023585
Worf does also say "we do not discuss it with outsiders" a few moments later, so we can assume he was just evading the question.
>>
File: KLIlogo.gif (15KB, 259x260px) Image search: [Google]
KLIlogo.gif
15KB, 259x260px
Can I get some opinions here?

I've got time set aside to learn a language, and I want to learn an "artificial" language. I'm torn between Esperanto and Klingon. Technically, Klingon would be just as useless. Esperanto's usefulness is purely hypothetical, and there's more Trek fans out there to impress than Esperanto speakers. I've got this hunch that Klingon would be more impressive for networking among Engineers ...

How's the Klingon Language Institute?
10$ per year. Seems to be the ONLY way to actually learn Klingon.

DuoLingo has had Klingon in the works for some time, but watching delays & the progress meter... it's never happening. It's all volunteer work.
>>
>>51023844
I still maintain the joke would have been better had they just put Michael Dorn in the TOS Klingon makeup and no one noticed.
>>
>>51024234
Tolkein's Elvish
>>
>>51024267
No. It's actually Finnish/Welsh. If I wanted something similar to existing languages, Esperanto starts making more sense.

Good idea for similar reason as Klingon, but the active community isn't quite there by comparison and ACTUAL Tolkein fans who would be impressed by it are a hell of a lot harder to find.

Klingon is nearly a "living" language at this point. Fans have already taken that to court. You're not going to find nowhere near as many books or as much effort put into translating books and stuff into Elvish. You're not going to find any new development of the language either.

Klingon also fascinates me as a concept too because it was intentionally constructed from the start to be as alien as possible then let it go from there. Tolkien's motivation was just using languages he really liked.

Interesting watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Did-eVQDc
>>
>>51024391
I hear that Vulcan has a pretty developed written form.
>>
>>51021730
There was a Sinatra revival fad in the 90s. It was probably executive meddling.
>>
File: 35235960.jpg (1MB, 897x1280px) Image search: [Google]
35235960.jpg
1MB, 897x1280px
>>51019719
>It really seemed like a sudden and out of character turn for him to side with the dominion.
It wasn't though. His two loves are himself, and a strong Cardassia. Cardassia at that point was being btfo by the klingons, and he was at that point a rogue captain with basically no standing, when he had been essentially the SecDef just a bit earlier. When he went to the Dominion for help, he justified as saving Cardassia from the Klingons, and he was so blinded by his pride in basically becoming King of Cardassia that he didn't mind so much becoming a Dominon vassal. He was also always skilled at self-deception, so he convinced himself that the Dominion and Cardassia were in a more equal relationship, with Cardassia being the junior member in a real alliance.
If you want something to complain about, it's when he went full villain after he fell from grace the last time. Even then the writers justified it with "Dukat's gone loco," which is valid, if not satisfying. Yet that too fits with his character: Dukat seeks after power (especially over the Bajorans), and he is able to decieve himself into thinking he's got more a better hand than he actually has in relation to the Pah Wraiths. It's also general Cardassian character, it seems, to make a deal with the devil to achieve one's ends, and Dukat does that literally.
>>
>>51024859
>TFW Ziyal became your DS9 waifu without you even being aware of it then she was gone ;_;
So what species favor combinations do you are your favorites, /stg/? And which ones are the most you want to see that Trek hasn't done yet.
I wouldn't mind them showing Andorian or Orion hybrids. You would think with how there are Orion slave woman in canon that there would be all kinds of hybrids running around.
>>
>>51026068
>You would think with how there are Orion slave woman in canon

Aren't they all just pretending to be slaves?
>>
>>51026932
Except for the ones that aren't.

The women might rule but not all the women.
>>
>>51026932
>>51027219
only the stankiest may rule
>>
>>51019464

God, every single one of those vegas singer episodes was cringey as fuck like those Stewie Musical episodes of Family Guy.
>>
>>51024859
>Gul dukat loved a strong cardassia
You saw a very different set of episodes to me then. He wasnt obsessed with strength, as evidenced by his support of the new civilian government, his soft hand and cooperation with the federation over maquis issues, his choice to abandon his titles for his daughter, his choice to abandon his ambitious return to power to fight the klingons and a whole bunch of other shit.

I just saw the psychosis episode and it was a travesty, seriously star trek has always been rather progressive but sisko declares a man he knows to be mentally ill "pure evil". Shit we should round up all the schizophrenics and put them in the camps because apparently that is what pure evil is! After them we can go for the depressed and the brain damaged, its the right thing to do.
>>
>>51027305

>stankocracy
>[stangk-ok-ruh-see]
>1.) Government in which the stankiest person has uncontrolled or unlimited authority over others; the government or power of an absolute stankarch.
>>
>>51028405

>Miranda on patrol
>Stopping off in the Stankocracy of Tor IX
>Shore leave goes wrong
>Everyone comes back with an orion beast woman
>Even the female crew
>Captain is furious, but caves when the orion beast women corner her in the turbolift
>Nothing gets done
>For months
>Deflector dish out of alignment
>Replicators overtaxed
>Running low on supplies
>Captain ignores Stafleet Commands orders
>Finds virgin world outside of UFP borders
>Start colony
>Raise half-whatever/half-orion children
>Become grandparents
>All hands lost
>...
>Peacefully
>In their beds
>Surrounded by grieving family
>To whom they leave the future
>>
>>51028604
;_;

>>51028405
>In instances where 2 high Stankarchs meet and are considered a match, stank for stank, then it is customary for both to engage in a form of ritual combat with antiperspirant and scented soap.
>in this way the Stankarch lives a dangerous life
>a life in which failure means return to the bottom of the hierarchy and the long arduous process of reacquiring stank
>this position is known as the "bottom bitch"
>>
File: 20130407-050731.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20130407-050731.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>51028604
Didn't they do this like a few times already in Trek with some time fuckery but without the Orion Beast women sadly.
>>
>>51028744
Yes, once in DS9 and once (sort of) in Enterprise. Like you said though, no mind-altering booty-bitches to fall in love with.
>>
File: 1479897196985.png (863KB, 960x738px) Image search: [Google]
1479897196985.png
863KB, 960x738px
>>51028741
>ywn be part of a stank off duel
>ywn be literally ridden to near orgasm death
>ywn die while empting your last load into the queen of all stanks.
>TFW why even exist in an era without queen stank overlords to conquer you ;_;
>>
>>51028880
>>51028604
>>51028741

Stank is definitely amongst the least erotic words in the English language. It's up there with feculent, putrid, ventricle and scrotum.
>>
>>51029177
Stank is, at worst, dollop-tier unpleasant. Nowhere near moist, bulbous, pus or cuck.
>>
File: orgasmatron.jpg (116KB, 762x554px) Image search: [Google]
orgasmatron.jpg
116KB, 762x554px
>>51028604
Fuck it, prepare the Orgasmatron, we're going in.
>>
>>51029177

>feculent
>putrid
>ventricle
>scrotum

No wonder, all of those come from Latin.
>>
>>51009776
>dominion
>cohesive culture
pick one.

When you are conquered by the dominion they just take your resources and keep you under control. I imagine they let you do what you want as long as you don't threaten the founders, pay your tithes, and don't get uppity.
>>
>>51009776
Well there's the guys that are short-selling them on antiproton torpedoes. There's the Christmas-jumper faced people that are angry about everything for some reason. And other than that I think it's just the people that pissed them off we get to see.
>>
>>51010388
Speaking of which I'm surprised she didn't try to seduce Sisko.
>>
>>51020964
Year in Hell was pretty good, but only because it perfectly encapsulated what Voyager should have been.
>>
File: FacepalmCarl2.gif (1MB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
FacepalmCarl2.gif
1MB, 400x275px
The common language of the Dominion is called Dominionese.

I bet the writers spent the whole day thinking up that.
>>
>>51033447

That sounds like the sort of thing an overworked intelligence operative might write into a mission briefing because the actual name for the lingua franca of the Dominion is unknown.
>>
File: CarlAngry.gif (157KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
CarlAngry.gif
157KB, 500x333px
>>51033585
You know damn well that's not why they went with that name.

>lingua franca of the Dominion is unknown
They knew about the Dominion for a couple of years by that point. They'd have a more formalized name for their language.
>>
>>51033650
>Well, it is very possible that they have a name for it but it's a geek/nerd type designation that's several long hard to pronounce words.
So the layman just calls it Dominionese and is done with it. It's seems a bit racialist but it works.
>>
>>51034608
>racialist?
racist is what I wanted the auto correct is kind of weird.
>>
>>51005375
when does voyager stop being boring? i'm 1/4th of the way through season 3
>>
>>51036202
>when does voyager stop being boring?

boy have you got a lot to learn
>>
>>51036202
Voyager ain't like DS9/TNG/ENT. There's no point in time when it suddenly improves. Though it does have a mini-reset at the end of S3 which starts getting a lot of the "good" episodes. There's still dumb stuff in there but the show gets interesting adversaries and a new character.

To answer your question, the end of 3, sort of.
>>
>>51033061
The actual Temporal elements of YoH are fairly weak. But the story works thanks to self containment so I'll allow it.

Interesting side-note. The writers(one of the teams, at least) originally wanted year of hell to be a season long arc. A literal year, so to speak. I think that could have been quite interesting.
>>
>>51036644
>I think that could have been quite interesting.
See, looking back at Year of Hell, I dunno if it would have been...if only because, presuming the general arc would have been the same, then they'd have hit the reset button at the end of a season and I can only imagine the amount of anger that'd have generated.
>>
>>51036786
I can't find the interview, but I recall the arc would have been somewhat different and there would have been no hard-reset. The TV execs didn't want to risk it, so instead they got a 2 parter with no permanent effects.
>>
>>51033650
It would make more sense to assume that Vorta would be the official language of the Dominion, seeing as they mostly run the show.
>>
Time for a Bump-a-lumpa
>>
File: IMG_1350.jpg (135KB, 648x504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1350.jpg
135KB, 648x504px
So what are the intended mission profiles for the various pre-TNG classes? What niche were they intended to fill?
>>
>>51031125
Somehow I don't think "give us the ship and I'll blow you" would have made it in to the final script anyway.
>>
>>51041955
Would the Vorta even know about sex? They're genetically modified clones after all
>>
>>51041224
I think the New Orleans is a long range patrol ship.

My logic is that the four nacelle designs have never been shown to be notably faster, and duel-nacelle designs are competent at everything normally, and designs of a single nacelle are typically destroyers so comparatively short operations ranges, so the benefit for loading up a ship with extra ones is maintaining a high speed for longer through being able to use less power per nacelle to maintain a higher-warp field, or through switching which pair is generating the field to allow time for the engines to rest whilst still maintaining warp speed.

Since the four nacelle ships like it are typically not huge things, the logical role for them is not so much deep space exploration but being able to rapidly respond to things. So frontier patrol it is.
>>
>>51042006
I can't believe They wouldn't with a rack like hers.

But in all seriousness they would understand it as a means of control and manipulation.

Also we don't know how new models of Vorta are commissioned.

Maybe two Vorta get jiggy, with or without orders from the Founders to do so, and a new model Vorta is created.

This is Shashkana the 1st.

If Shashkana the 1st is found to be an at least adequate servant they allow her to be cloned so that she can serve for many centuries to come.

If not she get assigned to some nowhere assignment and is Shashkana the 1st and last.

It's basically telescoping generations.
>>
File: cheyenne2-rick.jpg (57KB, 700x515px) Image search: [Google]
cheyenne2-rick.jpg
57KB, 700x515px
>>51041224
>>51042170
Derp, Cheyanne not New Orleans
>>
>>51029738

So it's basically the IoM, but they only genocide you if you oppose them rather then because of who you are?
>>
>>51038429

Vorta would really be Founder anyway, as the founders uplifted the Vorta to make them the required servants, so their language would be whatever the Founders decided to implement it as. So Dominionese really works just as well.
>>
>>51034888
>>51034608
Why would that be racist? The Dominion's main language has some literally unpronounceable name, so a name is used that describes it for what it is.

You know that the Klingon and Vulcan languages aren't really called Klingon or Vulcan, and you know that other species probably refer to the English language as Human or Earth.
>>
>>51042234
Maybe only important Vorta like Weyoun are cloned. The Vorta we don't see, the menial bureaucrats of the Dominion, probably reproduce regular-style because it's so much more energy-efficient and it's not critical for them to be produced to exact specifications. Why tie up resources and advanced technology just to make ordinary Vorta, something that could be done just as well with no tech at all? Then you pick the best naturally-born Vorta, clone the shit out of them, and put them in the really important jobs.
>>
>>51042459

>Serve your gods well, and be rewarded with (a sort of) Eternal life? It's the sort of thing gods are supposed to do.
>>
>>51042459
Or the nigh on immortal founders just want their pet dog to live forever. Eternity is very, very lonely.
>>
File: cruiser_challenger.jpg (549KB, 839x2000px) Image search: [Google]
cruiser_challenger.jpg
549KB, 839x2000px
>>51041224
The Challenger type, well it's got big engines for it's size but with the caveat that it is very small. Minimal armament, no big fancy deflector dish, this thing to me screams police cruiser, operating out of a base to provide rapid response to low-key threats.
It's still a starfleet ship so bound to be more capable than most equivalent opposition, but lacking the science stuff to deal with weird space bullshit. It's gonna be out there doing low key but essential duties making sure trade and travel between Federation worlds remains safe.
>>
>>51042459
So wait if Vorta could and do reproduce naturally. They create a natural population solely devoted to management. Is there another race that does their more domestic jobs for them? Or on the Vorta worlds they do perform more pedestrian chores themselves? I think it would fit more in their society structure if there was a race created solely to support other races in the dominion but we were never shown them because it would have been a little too touchy a subject with true slavery shown.
>>
>>51042824
Jem'Hadar in French maid costumes.
>Cleanliness brings victory!
>Victory is life!
>>
>>51042712
Do we really know if the founders are truly immortal? They can die and they probably as a whole can renew themselves. But if you had like an Odo by itself would it eventually be unable to renew itself. Like the singular founders have a set lifespan but the link give them a kind of being able to go on forever?
>>
>>51042234
I'd make a joke about the, ahem, /disobedient/ J'H in STO's cardie arc, but in all honesty someone's probably already written smut about it.
>>
>>51042962
That brings up another good point.

WHAT THE FUCK DO FOUNDERS EAT?
>>
>>51042962
Loathe as I am to invoke STO.

In STO the female founder of the DS9 series was willing to spend decades in prison because "what is a few decades to an immortal" or something like that.

So even when reduced to being an individual organism she considered herself to be immortal.

>>51042984
I assumed they ate dust particles, dirt from surfaces they coat and easy to dissolve substances. In the "Jadzia lets the voices in her head ritually possess her friends" episode Curzon possesses Odo. The Odo Curzon hybrid finds a bottle of brandy in the evidence locker and starts drinking.
>>
File: new orleans.jpg (121KB, 384x845px) Image search: [Google]
new orleans.jpg
121KB, 384x845px
>>51041224
New Orleans

Again this is a scaled down Galaxy-style saucer with a couple of nacelles. Big difference over the Challenger is the full secondary hull and the three additional pods, which are mostly interpreted as torpedo launchers, though could be modular equipment bolted on to upgrade the initial ship model.

It is again a small ship, so is fitting into that destroyer/frigate area. IRL the pods were bolted on as an afterthought to make it look less Enterprise-like, so were not in the initial design, which I'm going to use to reinforce my supposition that they were added after initial construction in-setting. Perhaps they were added because the initial design was found to be not sufficiently capable of it's role; I'd also suggest that this is the case because starfleet ships trend towards having everything kept internally, with pods like the Nebula's being a conscious design choice to give the ship a specific focus.

So with that in mind my personal interpretation is that I'd say the New Orleans was supposed to fill the role of a small multirole ship for pootling around within the Federation making sure stuff is mapped/protected. A generalist. But the design was found to offer no significant benefit over upgraded older ships still found in numbers like the Excelsior class, no longer in the heavy cruiser range and gradually demoted to mundane duties. Adding the pods allowed for the New Orleans class to carry a mass of extra equipment to fulfil roles required of it. With the typical loadout of extra torpedo launchers, the class provided a massive overmatch in firepower for dealing with the more dangerous opponents of equivalent size, particularly in the various brushfire wars the Federation was involved in during the pre-Borg era. With that, it's role is one of a heavy Destroyer, accompanying larger ships in battle and providing much needed protection in dangerous territories without tying down heavier cruisers to the same patrols.
>>
>>51043125
>Generalist
>Not overly heavy, flashy or expensive
>Torpedo spam
t. YtA player's wet dream
>>
>>51043260
Nothing compares to the Akira designer claiming it had 15 forward facing tubes, and frankly I don't think anything will. Until we turn the Galaxy into Star Trek's equivalent of the Missile Boat.
>>
File: springfield.jpg (179KB, 1067x1144px) Image search: [Google]
springfield.jpg
179KB, 1067x1144px
>>51041224
Springfield:
I've got no bloody idea. Not a sausage. Nothing.

This one is a clusterfuck of parts. Single pair of Cheyenne-style nacelles, huge blocky equipment pod that looks like a later addition, secondary hull with weird connection system, Small size saucer bulked out by additions... This feels like a vessel that started out as a simple destroyer-tier ship but got bulked out by additions up to light-cruiser size.
>>
>>51043317
Never seen this before, but without the pod and secondary hull it looks kinda like a 24th century NX class.
>>
>>51043413

That's a lot of what makes me think that the extra pod and secondary hull were later additions to a smaller frame, probably in an effort to beef up the capability of it in the same way the NX was supposed to get the traditional secondary hull in a refit.
>>
File: niagara-top-side.jpg (159KB, 1000x981px) Image search: [Google]
niagara-top-side.jpg
159KB, 1000x981px
>>51041224
Niagara:

Now this ship is a mess of Ambassador class parts and Galaxy, not just style but sized nacelles. Triple Nacelle designs are traditionally seen on ships supposed to be battleships in Star Trek expansion stuff, right back to the original Federation class and including the upgraded Galaxy class seen in All Good Things. I'd suspect the extra nacelle offers some capability in higher sustained warp performance, though not to the extent of a quad-nacelle design, though at lower tonnage and as a refit possibility to buff up older ships.
Also the saucer is thicker than an Ambassador's, it has more phaser strips and they're moved to the edge of the saucer.

This ship has got to be a battleship. Almost certainly having had a major refit to replace the old Ambassador style warp engines with the newer Galaxy style ones to increase capability. Based on existing Ambassador components but bulked out considerably, I suspect that this design came about out of a need to have a proper warship quickly after the creation of the Ambassador, perhaps to replace the very obsolete Federation class, so they took what was already there and top of the line and made the adjustments necessary, rather than designing the ship from scratch. I expect a few were made, kept upgraded but intended to be decommissioned once things like the Nebula came about and fully outclassed it whilst even whilst providing a far more generalist ship.
>>
File: Disgust-face.jpg (35KB, 460x493px) Image search: [Google]
Disgust-face.jpg
35KB, 460x493px
>>51042869
>Jem'Hadar in French maid costumes.
>TFW that race in canon has no females
NOPE!
>>
>>51043817
Are you looking for pic related?

Plus, who would want to go for Jem'Hadar when there are perfectly good submissive vorta QT servants out there?
>>
>>51043902
forgot to upload, time to kms
>>
>>51043673
And now I remember I've got a Sep. 200(0?/1?) Issue of STM floating around somewhere at home... Anyone else remember the Freedom class? Which is just the Challanger class with the lower nacelle only?
>>
File: freedom.jpg (56KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
freedom.jpg
56KB, 600x700px
>>51041224
And last and least: Freedom class.

It's a 'modern' version of the Hermes/Saladin scout/destroyer. Short duration operations due to limited facilities, small crew, passable armament (better than the Challenger), single Galaxy sized nacelle for relatively short duration warp travel. Since it puts all the strain on a single engine this thing will need more downtime on cruises.

This is a real filler material ship.
Whilst having torpedo bays, a large shuttlebay and a decent armament it's still not overly good at anything and somewhat un-specialised, particularly it's lack of main deflector necessary for when blasting things with science is the key. This is a ship to be there when basically anything bigger than a police cruiser will do the job, particularly if that job involves a fight.
As a short-ranged scout/survey ship it'd later be massively outclassed by the Nova-class (as seen with the Equinox).
>>
>>51044055
Wait, no navigational deflector - how the hell does the thing even get to warp?
>>
File: Drexler_Enterprise_NX-01_Refit.jpg (123KB, 775x280px) Image search: [Google]
Drexler_Enterprise_NX-01_Refit.jpg
123KB, 775x280px
>>51043413
>>51043440
The NX Refit had a secondary hull.
>>
>>51045115
Same as any other of the many dish-less ships:
Fuck it who cares they just do.
>>
>>51045115

The question is not how it goes to warp, but how it avoids being holed by a stray particle of dust or gas while at warp.
>>
>>51036583
thats good

season 3 has been pretty meh but False Profits was pretty entertaining but probably because of the ferengi
>>
>>51045193
It says something when Harry literally dies or nearly dies three times at least and all that was even before the start of season three. I really think this show should have been/actually was a test bed for a totally different sci-fi show.
>>
File: 20081_1333929849_large.jpg (310KB, 1600x926px) Image search: [Google]
20081_1333929849_large.jpg
310KB, 1600x926px
>>51045115
It doesn't need a dish to have a deflector system. And Starfleet ships use their deflector dishes for way more than deflecting; perhaps this added functionality was not deemed necessary; Voyager has two deflectors - does the ship need twice as much deflecting?
>>
>>51045862
>OMG
What in the world am I looking at? That thing looks like Star Fleet's engineer nightmare fever dream creation. In this case, the Bird of Prey is doing a mercy killing.
>>
>>51045862
So does the Nova class, though - those are probably due to their intense sciencing (especially since the Intrepid's secondary deflector is basically sitting on the main sensor array's lap) - but if you don't have a main navigational deflector to, y'know, deflect particles and debris away from you while at high impulse or warp, then you're pretty mcfucked. Even the Miranda class has one, albeit an incredibly small, low-profile one.
>>
>>51045998

It's an Oberth as seen in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Specifically, that's supposed to be U.S.S. Grissom being destroyed (as happens in the movie).
>>
File: DERP1.jpg (284KB, 1600x926px) Image search: [Google]
DERP1.jpg
284KB, 1600x926px
>>51045115
>>
File: 43225963.jpg (210KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
43225963.jpg
210KB, 1280x720px
>>51046017
Just because you can't see the deflector doesn't mean it isn't there. It doesn't need to be a glowing dish. Not many alien ships have one. In fact, not even all Starfleet ships have one either. The following we have seen in detail (not just background kitbashes like the 359 abominations) have no dish:
>Miranda (STO adds one, but it is not on any canon model)
>Oberth
>Constellation
>all warp-capable shuttles
>Olympia
>Centaur
I wouldn't be surprised if deflector shields are not some extension of deflector technology.
>>
>>51046378
Oberth has an excuse, since
>It's basically a sensor array with a shuttlecraft strapped on
>The front of the sensor pod could be covered with a cowling of some sort, kinda like modern aircraft, with the deflector dish underneath.

The freedom class has neither of those advantages, nor does it have the excuse of being super unique in a non-retarded way.
>>
>>51046476
Miranda also has no visible navigational deflector and is a staple.

The more modern ships though sneak visible ones in on smaller craft, even little jobs like the Sabre and Norway tuck them in.
>>
>>51046464
>>51046614
Miranda has one as a slit at the bottom of the saucer, as does the Olympic (at least in All Good Things; STO adds a proper one); constellation apparently uses some obscene combination of warp geometry and tractor beams instead (accordingto EAS).

The warp-capable shuttles I don't have an excuse for, although I'd suggest that their slow speeds and small sizes mean that the passive(?) deflector (shields?) do a good enough job instead - the larger ones, such as the Type 11 and the Delta Flyer, appear to have a small deflector.
>>
>>51046650
I've seen references to one of the dish greeblies that hangs down under the Constellation's saucer being the deflector dish.
>>
>>51046650
>Miranda has one as a slit at the bottom of the saucer
Where? I see no such thing on any of the models, and the saucer part is identical to the Connie, especially on the bottom, as far as I can tell. And at any rate, that's speculation, and it surely isn't the same as any of the other deflectors we've seen. Same thing with the Olympic (the ring around the Olympic's sphere could just as easily be a sensor array).
>I'd suggest that their slow speeds and small sizes
The thing is, the small size of shuttles make them more susceptible to the kind of debris that deflectors are supposed to work against, not less. Slower speeds doesn't mean much - those debris are dangerous at even orbital velocities, particularly to something as thin-skinned as shuttles. And slower at warp doesn't mean anything when it comes to collisions.
>>
File: OlympicSchilde.jpg (25KB, 624x445px) Image search: [Google]
OlympicSchilde.jpg
25KB, 624x445px
>>51047068
The miranda schematics i've been looking at either have the four-way slits at the bottom of the saucer (in between the phaser banks and the sensor dome at the very bottom) or the two bulges at the top of the saucer as deflectors. All of them are from Cygnus X1, though so they're fanon at best.

The Olympic has a ring all the way around, yes, but screencaps from All Good Things only show a distinct section of it lit blue (pic related). I'd hazard a guess that that's the navigational deflector - not a big or optimised dish like fancy exploration or science ships would have, just enough to do the job.
>>
>>51030080
>>51009776
The hunters that were chasing the genetically engineered prey guy were part of the Dominion. The writers wanted to include them later on but never got around to it. Supposedly their tech was used to create the jem hadar.
>>
File: qjlqwothfxbhdc5ilge9.png (301KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
qjlqwothfxbhdc5ilge9.png
301KB, 636x358px
>>51047339
also, miranda model highlighting the proposed (admittedly tiny and unholily impractical) slit-deflector(s)
>>
>>51047339
Huh. Why the fuck did they feel the need to insert a huge ugly one for STO then?
>>
>>51048065
To get it out the door as fast as possible and for you to pay real money for the not 'derp' looking one, anon.
>>
>>51048884
ah yes. i am most definitely going to give all my hard earned monies to cryptic and buy a fleet carrier to replace my T3 science ship. correct. and i am going to do this solely based on the size and placement of the Olympic's deflector dish, not because of any technical disadvantages or because the thing looks like a fucking sex toy. no. that would be insane. after all, altering the design instead of copying the one from the show wholesale means a vast reduction in the manhours spent developing the game doesn't it
>>
>>51049123
Uh, anon you could just buy the replacement skin that fixes the dish with also moneys. I heard they do that too in STO.
>>
>>51047385
So if it's not too much trouble, could someone highlight where these slit-deflectors are? Because I'm not seeing them or at least things that look anything like a deflector.
>>
>>51051656
The torpedo-tube looking thing at the bottom of the saucer's lower bulge. Seeing as the the Miranda already has torpedo tubes in its roll-bar pod, this small slit would be superfluous.
>>
File: IMG_1274.jpg (256KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1274.jpg
256KB, 1080x1080px
>>51043317
Both the lower hull and the aft block are modular, so the ship can work without them or can have mission-specific variants installed. I'd say the Springfield was a misguided attempt to replace the Miranda. After it became clear that the ship has major technical and logistical problems they stopped production. Though I'd say that the lessons learned from the Sprinfield went in to producing the Nebula class.
>>
File: Tribble breeding chart.png (536KB, 2162x1062px) Image search: [Google]
Tribble breeding chart.png
536KB, 2162x1062px
Question for /stg/.

Are there any rules about tribble breeding?
Or is STO ahead everything else in this regard?
>>
>>51053244
>tribble breeding
I'm pretty sure you just put 2 of them in a room with some source of food and then wait an hour. Then you pick through 500 or so tribbles until you find one that looks how you want it to look.
>>
>>51053244
>this is someone's fetish
>>
>>51046378
is that oberth kill?
>>
>>51054331

It's U.S.S. Grissom, of the House of Tissue Paper Armor, so yes.
>>
File: mfw.gif (533KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
533KB, 500x282px
>>51054550
>type 9 shuttle in an oberth
>>
>>51054582

If anything attacks, you launch the Type-9. It's more powerful than the ship its launched from.

If the Typ-9 can't beat it, you were screwed anyway.
>>
>>51043260
Knock it all you want, but can you honestly think of a problem that isn't solved by copious amounts of torpedoes?

"Captain, Stafleet has asked us to go to the last position of a Miranda-class vessel. Apparently, they encountered a negative sub-space wedgie and all hands were lost."
"Maximum warp. Load all torpedo tubes. When we get within weapons range, we will collapse the wedgie with a torpedo spread."

"Captain, the USS Sacrificial Lamb, a Miranda Class vessel has made first contact with a warlike species that has evolved at a hyper accelerated rate on a planet that contains a temporal wedgie. All hands were lost."
"Maximum warp. Load torpedo tubes."

"Captain, we've received word that Admiral Pants-On-Head-Retarded has commandeered a Galaxy class ship, declared himself a god and is now in orbit around a primitive planet..."
"Maximum Warp. Load torpedo tubes."
>>
>>51054550
>>51046378
>TFW in the msd shows something in the lower hull having a direct connection to something in the upper hull which seems impossible. And that turbo lift system showing how you get from between the lower and upper hulls.
>TFW this is so retarded that who came up with this design should be sent to a Klingon penal planet as punishment.
>>
>>51055044

>direct connection

Yeah. I assume that's the fuel connection (deuterium slush) to the deuterium reactor that powers the impulse engines. The way its connected is implausible in the MSD, but the nacelle pylon is certainly thick enough to have pipes running through it.

>turbolift

This is more iffy than the fuel pipes, but if you look at the STO model, it's also certainly thick enough. And before you jump on the angle of the pylons, remember that turbolifts are suspending via magnetism, and below the deck of the lift is a gravity plate, so you wouldn't experience much of a gravity shift from change in acceleration.
>>
>>51016637
Wasn't the new BSG more of what Ron Moore wanted Voyager to be like, he did a stint of writing on that show aswell and didn't like it at all, as I understand Voyager and how it was handled was one of the major reasons him and Brannon Braga had a falling out that lasted for good while.
>>
>>51054961
I recognise the second one as a Voy plot, what about the other two?
>>
>>51055498

>VOY plot
>plot

I think you mean liberally plundered from the novel Dragon's Egg, diluted by Trek conventions, consumed by a test primate, and then shat out under high pressure onto paper, and then presented as a screenplay.
>>
>>51053244

>Borg tribble

kek
>>
>>51053244
All I remember is that Bones mentions that they're born pregnant in Trouble With Tribbles.
>>
>>51055498
I think the first one is from TNG where the way out of a space wedgie is to shoot at it with specially modified beam/torp.

Third one you can find from TNG/DS9/Voy as they all had episode about rogue Starfleet officers and their ships.
>>
>>51055498
1 sounds like the TNG plot about a subspace ribbon and 3 sounds like when Garth of Izar went batshit mental in TOS.
>>
>>51010388
>>51031125
>>51043902
Stop it, I can only get so hard!
>>
>>51055574
>getting this salty about space hippies on a manchurian plate spinning enthusiast imageboard

If it'll stop your /lit/ ass from being so blasted, I'll fix it: the second one I recognise FROM TREK as a Voy episode
>>
File: IMG_0087.jpg (86KB, 450x345px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0087.jpg
86KB, 450x345px
>>51007900
Best Star Trek character ever
>>
Guys I finally finished DS9 the other day, how do I fill the void? No other series comes even close.Thinking about how awful Voy and ENT where makes me pissed off!
>>
File: Inquisitor.jpg (10KB, 432x243px) Image search: [Google]
Inquisitor.jpg
10KB, 432x243px
>>51059098
I know this is against the spirit of the thread but have you tried Babylon 5? It has Chekov.
>>
>>51059098
try the animated series
>>
File: Legend of galactic heroes guide.jpg (382KB, 794x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Legend of galactic heroes guide.jpg
382KB, 794x2560px
>>51059098
Im gonna do like this guy >>51059232
and recommend you something non-Star trek.

Legend of the galactic heroes.
You can find the show on youtube.
>>
File: gary-mitchell.jpg (142KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
gary-mitchell.jpg
142KB, 638x479px
>>51059232
>TFW if the Feds had created a black project to make their own Psi Corp during TOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTbpyd_8mSM
I don't know /stg/ if they had more training or some way to inhibit the full potential of a Psi human. What do you think the UFP would have turned into during the TNG era? I'm now imagining a Picard with Prof X type powers. I'm not sure if that is frightening, badass or both.
>>
File: Picture-292.png (597KB, 879x656px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-292.png
597KB, 879x656px
>>51060574
They would have literal thought police and no reason to put up with Betazoid bullshit.

On the one hand psicorp but on the other hand no reason for there to be Troi.

Also what did happen to human psychics? They were a thing. Some of them even had important government jobs.
>>
>>51062254
The Vulcans have secretly been altering the human genome to remove traits they find distasteful from their longtime allies. Psionic ability was removed and they've already begun dampening emotion slowly. Eventually humanity will just be another vulcanoid race but with iron based blood instead of copper.
>>
>>51062492
So long as we get the increased lifespan it's probably an acceptable trade.

We will be better than them.

We are more inherently stable.
>>
>>51062254

TNG pretended they never existed, basically. Something I find unfortunate, because I think psychics and psionics are fun.

>>51062492

>archer.jpg
>>
>>51062254
>Also what did happen to human psychics? They were a thing. Some of them even had important government jobs.
They stopped putting them on hero ships. Balance reasons.
>>
>>51062254
Dropped because it made psychic aliens less interesting by making it more mundane rather than a touch of exotic/weird.

The idea of a Federation Psi Corp is pretty scary, I really doubt it'd be something they'd do in anywhere near the manner of B5's one as that was inevitable that the PsiCorp would try and take over.

There's bound to be some regulatory body or addendum to existing branches that distinguish empaths/telepaths though given the amount of Vulcans, Betazoids and fucking everything else with mind powers in the Federation.
>>
File: Elachi_S’ateth_Escort.png (454KB, 1000x520px) Image search: [Google]
Elachi_S’ateth_Escort.png
454KB, 1000x520px
>>51005375
so does this place also act as sort of a /stog/? I miss that place

both tal shiar ships and elachi ships are getting T6 variants now
>>
>>51063940
pretty much, I would be amazed if at least a few people such as myself were members of the /v/idya STO fleets.
>>
>>51063940
>>51064054

Ded thred, ded gaem.

I should probably log back in one of these days. I have pretty much everything I would need to acquire whatever ship I'd need to make the best possible broadside beam boat; I just can't get a straight answer as to what ship fits that role best.
>>
>>51064105
you think you do, but costs of T6 ships jumped to around 200M+ depending what you want.
>>
File: 1394490490589.png (279KB, 853x1045px) Image search: [Google]
1394490490589.png
279KB, 853x1045px
>>51064195
>tfw have all the spacebux to buy whatever non-limited ship I want
>tfw can't decide which ship for which alt
>tfw the indecision makes me not want to play at all also Granblue Fantasy
Alts were a mistake.
>>
>>51063940
It sort of fills that niche, seeing as actually getting people together to play a Star Trek ttg is a complete and utter pain in the scrotum. Given that 40k and /swg/ get away with frequent dives into /v/ territory I don't see any reason why we shouldn't.
>>
>>51064326
i would love to look into the attack wing game, but i quite literally don't know a single other person that would even have interest in it
>>
>>51062492
The Vulcans have pretty much faded to irrelivency by DS9 though. Sure, they represent a small portion of the Starfleet crews that we see, but I'd wager, in terms of geo-political(stellar-political?) influence, that the Bajorans and Bolians are bigger players by that point.
>>
>>51064366
I went to my lgs to get the T6 sovie and they said they stopped carrying the line at all, since no one bought it.
>>
>>51064195

I got ~5k zen, a decent pile of lobi, and some 9 digit number of EC. The only things that could be an issue would be fleet tokens or any currency introduced since Delta Rising. I'm stuck with >>51064227 on Planet Crippling Indecision.
>>
>>51064419

Vulcans are a founder race, which is their last remaining claim to prestige. I'd say Betazoids and Trill are hard on their heels, with Bajorans and Bolians swinging above their weight.
>>
Okay so I get why the humans and their puppets in the Federation don't use genetic augmentation. Even the Klingons I can see rubbing their ridges in fear if some uppity fuck on the high council suggests it. But the Romulans, the Cardasians, the Breen? You figured they would have jumped on that even if it did cause all of them to develop super space cancer if it let them shrug off phaser shots.
>>
>>51064366
I would suggest approaching any of your friends that have played X-wing, Battlefleet Gothic, or similar. It's much easier to get people interested in playing a space strategy game if they're already acquainted with the notion.

Kind of similar to how a lot of people get into RPGs through DnD and then branch off to find something that appeals to them more.
>>
>>51064433
a wonderful problem to have, i'm sitting at 64~ mil and looking at affording nothing for a while, i just exchanged for all the zen I could (about 700) in preparation for the next lockbox, which if my sources are correct, is a TOS lockbox, not JJtrek lockbox like in the summer but just regular TOS with faction specific dreads, and the lobi ship being a T6 NX-01 for feds and trait box for rom/kdf
>>
>>51064478
Well, the Breen could be heavily augmented, we have no way of knowing. Though it would be interesting to consider that they may be confined to those suits because they tampered with their genetics too much.

The Romulans are almost certainly a result of genetic enhancement. To have become so different to their other vulcanoid brethren in a few short centuries would be impossible in natural evolution.

As for the Cardassians. They think they're perfect already. Genetic augmentation would be admitting that they were wrong in their claim that Cardassians are the greatest race in the Galaxy. And the Cardassians are never wrong.
>>
>>51064559
>To have become so different to their other vulcanoid brethren in a few short centuries would be impossible in natural evolution.
If they were screwing Remans enough in the early days, it's certainly possible (for a certain value of natural).
>>
>>51064559
Yeah but the Romulan genetic profile is kinda shitty compared to Vulcan. Vulcan are 3x stronger than your average human. Romulans aren't.
>>
>>51064602
Yeah, as far as I can tell Romulans are pretty much closest to base line humans as the most ordinary race. Where other races are much more different to humans in very important ways like better strength, stamina, and less picky diet.
>>
>>51064783
romulans are vulcans, their has been some evolutionary differences over a few thousand years, but do remember that romulans were vulcans that left the herd, so to speak.
>>
>>51064852
So they left Vulcan and what, forgot leg day or something?
>>
>>51064559
Here's a notion. The Romulans started out, like the other Vulcan outcasts with pretty much the same genetic make up as the Vulcans.

The Rigelians tried to fix their emotional instability by creating a strictly regimented society cantered around etiquette and ceremony. The Rigelians are still liable to extreme emotional outbursts if offended, even if the offender is unaware of their customs, but they're capable of peaceful isolationism.

The Mintakans went full Amish. They decided that a simpler, agrarian lifestyle would allow them to put their woes behind them and become calm. Over time their psychic capacity diminished and their emotions normalised.

The Romulans, however, were impatient. They wanted to be rid of their Vulcan identity. Without Sarek's teachings they were in danger of becoming Klingon-tier angry, all the time. In order to prevent this, they turned to genetic science. Their first attempt was an improvement, if not ideal. Besides minor cosmetic changes, their imbalance was reduced at the price of their psychic acuity. Suddenly without their pseudo-empath abilities, many Romulans found it difficult to trust and became extremely paranoid.

Not wishing to settle for acceptable, Romulan geneticists tried again to "perfect" their genome. They attempted to create a sort of forced evolutionary trigger they could use to progress the species through millennia of natural change in a few weeks. A portion of the population were exposed to this FET, only to begin mutating. Some died immediately, some survived, with increased psychic capability, but were blighted by insanity. It was decided then that the current genetic make up would be altered no further.

The survivors of the trigger were then banished from Romulus. The new Romulan people wanted nothing to do with these abominations. And so they were sent to Remus, were centuries of extremophile lifestyle, mixed with the lingering effects of the FET gave rise to a new Vulcanoid species, the Remans.
>>
>>51064559
>To have become so different to their other vulcanoid brethren in a few short centuries would be impossible in natural evolution.
Evolution in ST isn't real-world evolution, it's some weird kind of biological ambition towards excellence.
>>
>>51064602
>Vulcan are 3x stronger than your average human. Romulans aren't.
Do you have any evidence at all that this is the case?
>>
>>51065019
All species are human until explicitly stated otherwise.
>>
>>51065019
Take Me Out To The Holo Suite, they say it directly.
>>
>>51065092
Sisko says that they (they Vulcans) are stronger and faster "than any one of us" except Worf and Bashir - "us" being Ferengi, Bajorans, Humans, and a Trill. No Romulans in that group. Romulans are never mentioned in the script, nor in the actual show as far as I remember.
If you were talking about 3x human strength, that's mentioned many times throughout Trek, starting in TOS.
>>
>>51065298
Notably, the Ferengi are rather strong, they just have psychological blocks against using their strength.
>>
Vulcans live on a planet with higher gravity than Romulus, which is why they're strong in the first place. Romulans have been on Romulus for at a bare minimum of several centuries, more than enough time for them to just trend to weaker.
>>
File: Thingy.png (1MB, 1190x696px) Image search: [Google]
Thingy.png
1MB, 1190x696px
Given the amount of us that play STO, how the fuck do we not have a dedicated fa/tg/uy fleet?
>>
>>51066062
because the /vg/ fleet already has a shitload of stuff unlocked
>>
>>51066074
What's their chat channel? I've got all the fleet shit I want, I'm just looking more for the social scene.
>>
>>51066178
>/v/ fleet
>social
ded gaem
But seriously, chat channel is /v/. Fleet is Vidya Trek or House of Vidya.
>>
>>51066219
Doesn't seem to be too active a channel. Any of you nignogs in that channel see a Mr Stevens posting? That'd be me. Yall mothafuckas wanna do five rounds in space PvP?
>>
Since there seem to be at least a few STO players here. I guess I'll ask, so how much life realistically is left in STO at this point if a new person wanted to start now? Is it not too far off from zombie mode? With most mmo after like five years is where most die if not sooner. But STO is a little different since it is based on Trek which is still a growing and changing setting outside of the game. So content is not in short supply just interest can be lacking at times.
>>
File: 21680678325_2efc9026fc_b.jpg (189KB, 1000x588px) Image search: [Google]
21680678325_2efc9026fc_b.jpg
189KB, 1000x588px
>>51066843
They just started the console versions a few months ago, so I figure there's a few years left at least. And they just hired Tony Todd to do The Klingon Formerly Known as Kurn, so that's something, and there were hints that Dorn is coming back too.
Trouble is, the console release (and having them catch up with the PC) and the recent expansion have really slowed down the rate of new content. If you're new, that doesn't matter, but for older hands (I've been playing since f2p) it's getting a bit sparse. Really doesn't help that from the end of November to mid-February is pretty much just seasonal events (winter event and then anniversary event), and they rarely put much new content in there. We might get a new mission in the next week or two to tide us over until said anniversary, but I'm not counting on it.
>>
>>51066062
There was a /tg/ fleet a very long time ago. Several years later, I logged back in to find out I was still in the fleet and no one else had logged in for over a year. I took control of the fleet, emptied the bank and sold everything, then disbanded it.
>>
I hope the ugly ship from Discovery gets blown up five minutes into the pilot and we get a pre-refit Miranda equivalent.
>>
>>51068466
Given how long we had to put up with the Enterprise-D I'd say you're out of luck.
>>
>>51066843
Say what you like about their writing, but the Intrepid and NX were both sexy as fuck
>>
>>51066178
Chat channel is /v/.
Not the board, that's literally the name of the chat channel.
>>
>>51066843
They are constantly making more story content (as well as sometimes re-making some of the older content).
You might as well start playing now and level up your character.
Then when february comes we probably get a new free tier 6 ship that you can unlock by doing some daily activity for Q at the time.
>>
>>51043317

I can only imagine it got designed like the Bradley in Pentagon Wars.

>Okay, we want a new basic scouting & survey ship. All it really needs is a saucer section for the crew, sensors and a pair of decent engines. Now we just get a signature from Starfleet Command and we can send the blueprints off to Utopia Planitia.

>No, this just won't do. It needs some decent shields so it can stand up to attacks. I mean, heck, what if it encounters a Bird-of-Prey? A low-level deflector dish isn't too much to ask for.

>Well, the stronger shields need more power, so we'll have to get a bigger reactor. No room? Add a secondary hull then.

>It would be a shame to let all that reactor energy go to waste. How about a phaser or photon torpedo pod?

>This is starting to look good, but what are alien species going to think when this thing turns up in their neighbourhood? This ship needs a complement of diplomats and translation computers to prevent tragic misunderstandings. What do you mean there's no place in the saucer section? Just throw out some of the sensor equipment, there's too much of it anyway!
>>
I know that this has probably been talked to death, but I had an idea.
The D'Dex is twice as lone and some 10 times the volume of the Galaxy, but whenever they thought they'd be facing off against the Enterprise they'd send two of them. This implies to me that the DD is a weaker combat ship despite being significantly larger,
But what if the romulans are just partly plot savvy? Not enough to know better then to tangle with the Enterprise, but enough to know that Ent is a real threat regardless of the on paper capabilities of the ship.
Although as I was typing this I shot my own theory in the foot by remembering the warbird getting pancaked by Prometheus. Voyager has to be the most forgettable Trek of all time
>>
>>51069420
You could say that it fits with the Romulan character of being well prepared and only wanting to fight when they are confident of winning
>>
>>51069420
>The D'Dex is twice as lone and some 10 times the volume of the Galaxy, but whenever they thought they'd be facing off against the Enterprise they'd send two of them. This implies to me that the DD is a weaker combat ship despite being significantly larger,
>But what if the romulans are just partly plot savvy? Not enough to know better then to tangle with the Enterprise, but enough to know that Ent is a real threat regardless of the on paper capabilities of the ship.
They need two ships so one can prevent the Enterprise from reversing the polarity of the other one.
If there's one thing Romulans can't ever be said to be guilty of it's underestimation.
>>
>>51065019
>>51064602
I hate to submit nu-Trek as evidence, but in Star Trek 2009 the Romulans are shown to leap much further than the humans they fight as well as being able to lift Kirk one handed. On the mining platform, they pretty much throw Kirk around like a rag doll.

We can assume that these, as prime universe Romulans, are an example of general Romulan strength.
>>
File: IMG_1309.jpg (223KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1309.jpg
223KB, 1080x1080px
So is this /v/ fleet active? If I joined would they place restrictions on me purchasing fleet gear? Can any of you chumba-wumbas add me or do I need to seek them out directly?
>>
>>51070198
2009 is another universe, Kirk has a completely different backstory.
>>
>>51070243
All the same, they're shown as much stronger than humans.
>>
>>51069420
>>51069909
>>51069623
You anons are forgetting how the Romulans think. If a ship in the Romulan fleet was allowed to roam alone, the captain and crew might get ideas to defect or become their own warlords of an out of the way planet. I mean if it can be a problem in Star Fleet, it must be even more of a problem in a Roman like society which is what the Romulans have where that kind of stuff is more expected. I mean look at the episode where we had Troi on a lone Warbird and the captain actually thinking for herself. If there were two warbirds instead I think the female captain would have been less trouble since if she got too out of line the other ship would have blown them up.
>>
>>51070261
You are kind of doing an apple and oranges thing, anon. They might both say they are Trek but JJtrek is a totally different setting from what we were talking about. In the regular setting, when we see humans and Romulans interact they seem not stronger than humans in a fight. We see Kirk defeat one of them easily in one on one combat. And then Picard knocks one out in one punch while he was on their home world. They don't seem to be superior to humans well physically anyway.
>>
>>51064950
>FET
>Tal Shiar are Enclave confirmed
>>
>>51071313
It fits though, doesn't it?
>>
>>51071313
>In STO they go around wiping out colonies and trying to bring back the glory of the empire
IT FITS PERFECTLY!
>>
>>51071373
Makes me think they should do a Section 31 thing where they try and steal all the crazy shit in Trek and hide it away for themselves.
>>
>>51072816
If they got even a fraction of the shit Star Fleet must have in the basement they would be LITERALLY GODS.
>>
>>51072816
>implying section 31's Hail Mary strategy isn't genesis torpedoes
>>
>>51073471
Section 31 did nothing wrong. If Sisko and Bashir had been forced to let Odo die the Dominion would have been permanently over after the war.
>>
my STO guild uses a bastardized version of FASA for roleplaying purposes. It's limited at times but it works.
>>
>>51073817

Yeah, but the consequence would be whatever state existed after the Dominion would likely be run by rogue Jem'Hadar, soldiers bred to serve their now dead gods, addicted to the white, and full of seething religious zeal and hate for the Federation.

Even if the Dominion was no longer a coherent nation, it would not be a good thing for the Federation or the Alpha Quadrant powers. Cutting the head off the snake in this instance would only cause it to become a hydra with no reasonable limits, and no vested interest in keeping order.
>>
>>51073817
Just a reminder that the Founders went home after the war and dumped biogenic weapons on their client races for not finding a way around the wormhole problem fast enough.
>>
Remember when they said that Star Trek Discovery would be out at the start of 2017? Ha, fun times.
>>
>>51074705
Hey, everybody maybe if we wish really hard we can kill the show while it's still in preproduction.
Give the wish your energy /stg/
\o/
>>
>>51075078

In the words of James Kirk, "Let them die."
>>
>>51075793
In the actions of Kirk following that statement:

Dismissive handwave and shaking of head to indicate he didn't genuinely mean that.

I'll give it a chance; killing it now serves nothing but spite. I'll not expect it to be good by any means, but I have been surprised before by things that had all the signs of being shit.
>>
>>51075793
Praxis assploding wasn't a problem for the Federation no matter the whining of the Klingons.

Praxis assploding was a solution for the Federation.

Let them die.
>>
>>51075992
If they had left the Klingons to die, then Chang would have taken power and declared war the next day. What's worse, the Romulans might have backed the Klingons with supplies and military aid. Geo-politically speaking, an uneasy peace was preferable to a devastating war. Especially when there are other powers waiting in the wings to strike. (I seem to recall Rikers mom and dad fighting in the "Tholian War")
>>
>>51076188
That's only because the Federation refuses to take off the kiddie gloves even at the cost of it's own citizens.

If the Federation applied half the shit it has there would be no war that lasts more than about 20 seconds.
>>
>>51076323
But then they'd just be another Dominion and Cardassian Union. The point of the Federation is that they seek out a peaceful solution, to turn enemies into allies.
>>
>>51076188
Doesn't it seems really unwise for the UFP to be so focused on expanding over consolidation to anyone else? They seem to spark off a war like every decade or so because of this behavior. Are they like mentally damaged from all the utopia that the universe is a nice and friendly place? BECAUSE IT IS MOTHERFUCKING NOT A NICE PLACE! Just by going from canon there are way too many hostile aliens/space empires and too many monsters that will happily eat as soon as they come across you. Or worse manipulate you into becoming their puppets. What is the drive that in the UFP to poke your nose where you damn well knows it doesn't belong? Isn't utopia good enough?
>>
>>51075980

I get that he didn't really mean that, and that it was an emotional outburst based on personal pain.

I'm perfectly fine with killing it out of spite. I'd rather Trek be "dead" for another decade or two - or even better, die permanently and enter the public domain because it apparently doesn't make any money anymore.

But I guess that's too much to hope.

Maybe Disney will buy it and I'll just have to find something else to be a fan of.
>>
>>51076445
A criminally stupid idea considering the number of people who don't share such enlightened philosophies. When you have the Herogian and Nausicans and many others who not only don't give a shit about your peaceful attitude, don't want to emulate it, take pleasure in skinning you and using your bones for jewelry and find deep joy and personal fulfillment in your suffering you are fucking stupid to keep giving them "one more chance". That just shows them that they can kill your citizens with impunity and makes a mockery of any authority the UFP has.

Cardassians start a war to annex Federation worlds. Federation beats them and then gives them the worlds. This tells the Cardassians "mission accomplished".

If Praxis hadn't 'sploded the Klingons would never have changed. There would have continued to be raids into Federations pace for fun and slaves and the Federation would continue to do sweet fuck all because it's not officially war and you don't want to hurt their feelings.

Ferangi try to steal the Enterprise and take children hostage. Tower of commerce receives a strongly worded letter.

If a government can't or won't defend it's people then it's failed at one of it's most important tasks.
>>
>>51076445
>The point of the Federation is that they seek out a peaceful solution, to turn enemies into allies.
Well, that's kind of the problem most other races like violent and oppressive solutions to their problems that's just the way they are. I mean Fed utopia would be hell for someone like an old ways honoring Klingon. If they are not raping and pillaging then they are really being themselves like when those two Klingons fugitives were on the Enterprise. Some races were not meant for Fed utopia and Klingons are one of them.
>>
>>51076580
At the top levels they know utopia is hard, and impossible without strong defense for the reasons you listed. So, they know the Federation must be strong enough to beat out the other evils they might come across. The Good Space Empire must be stronger than the Evil Space Empires around them, and the only realistic way to do that is get big. They not only colonize, but also absorb smaller space empires and kingdoms. This not only increases their resources, but also their technical base. Basically the same thing an Evil Space Empire does, but they do it peacefully, to maintain their Utopia.
However, to maintain Utopia you have to maintain at least the illusion of being Utopians. This is why the Good Space Empire is so inefficient at its defense - if you have the mentality of an Empire you're not a Utopia anymore, you're just a post-scarsity fascist power, and with that mindset it's very easy to change from the Good Space Empire to an Evil Space Empire. So, we have this idea that Starfleet isn't a military - they're scientists and explorers, not soldiers. Sure, a third of any crew is dedicated to fighting in one way or another, and anyone is ready and able to go into real combat (Scientist Janeway going on infantry patrols to fight Cardassians, or Mechanic O'Brien infiltrating the super space mafia), and their ships are generally more capable than dedicated warships of their adversaries. But they're not a military, so it's all Good. Trouble is, that "we're not a military" mindset gets any particular small group in trouble, as seen by Picard getting the Enterprise btfo needlessly on several occasions, when listening to Worf or Riker would have prevented the crisis much of the time.
>>
>>51076580
>>51076632
>>51076674
So preemptive strikes are always the correct solution. I suppose we can just do away with diplomacy so. Just roll up to a random power's border and point a few genesis torpedoes at their major population centres. We can tell them "join or die" and give them 48 hours to cooperate. Because that's what civilised people do right? They tacitly embrace mass genocide because changing your enemies minds sounds too much like hard work. Why bother trying to reform a society.

It's not like we've had episodes devoted to to the gradual reformation and improvement of Ferengi society, never a story about Cardassian civil rights activists, and we've certainly never had a Klingon in a position of power looking to create a more peaceful society. Except of course we have, because the lesson is that people are generally good and that the ideals of the Federation are worth trying to spread peacefully.

That isnt to say the UFP can't defend itself. But it certainly doesn't go looking to start fights because of inconvenience.

If you honestly can't understand that, if the notion that diplomacy should and must be the first resort of a civilised society is so alien to you, then I would suggest to you that maybe Star Trek isn't for you.
>>
>>51076962
And it doesn't go looking for fights with people who violate their borders and fuck up the lives of the people it's meant to protect either.

A policy of non-aggression would work. Don't fuck with us and we are friends. Fuck with us and we will fuck with you to a degree equaling but not exceeding the amount of fuck we received, exact measurement of fucks received to be decided by impartial committee.

Klingon house raids a colony for slave then those slaves have to be returned, the captains responsible turned over and their ships confiscated. Failure to do so indicates that the previous acts of kidnap, theft and trespass (and probably murder) were done their governments sanction and that is an act of war.

>Cardassian civil rights activists
And look how well that worked out. They briefly got a civilian government to replace their Space Rome flavoured, with Nazi aftertaste, military and then swiftly joined the Dominion. An Empire that is operating on Full Manifest Destiny.

>because changing your enemies minds sounds too much like hard work
Assuming willingness or even capability of the other side. Neither are guaranteed.
>>
>>51077165
>A policy of non-aggression would work. Don't fuck with us and we are friends. Fuck with us and we will fuck with you to a degree equaling but not exceeding the amount of fuck we received, exact measurement of fucks received to be decided by impartial committee.
Which is pretty much how they operate. It's quite evident that everybody who's fought against Starfleet has learned to regret that decision eventually. I recall a scene in DS9 where the klingons and Romulans talked uncomfortably about what would happpen if the Federation "really started fighting" with the uncomfortable implication that nobody wanted that to happen.

>And look how well that worked out. They briefly got a civilian government to replace their Space Rome flavoured, with Nazi aftertaste, military and then swiftly joined the Dominion. An Empire that is operating on Full Manifest Destiny.
But it proves that the Cardassians aren't a naturally evil race. Given time, after the Dominion war, they can be brought into the fold of the Federation.

>Assuming willingness or even capability of the other side. Neither are guaranteed.
You at least try. I don't know why that seems so confusing. Not shooting first doesn't mean you don't shoot at all.
>>
>>51064488
Oh god I hope we get a T6 nx class, with possibly a franklin alt to mix and match with, the nx hull with oversized franklin nacelles might look bitchin.
>>
File: 1AdXsh7.jpg (82KB, 394x383px) Image search: [Google]
1AdXsh7.jpg
82KB, 394x383px
>>51077559
The alt is gonna be the refit that was proposed for season 5 if the windows on Tribble are anything to go by.
>>
>>51077396
>Which is pretty much how they operate. It's quite evident that everybody who's fought against Starfleet has learned to regret that decision eventually. I recall a scene in DS9 where the klingons and Romulans talked uncomfortably about what would happpen if the Federation "really started fighting" with the uncomfortable implication that nobody wanted that to happen.

Maybe they read some history books and had some inkling of the shit Star Fleet must have stashed in the basement. Shit that Star Fleet for some reason refuses to use because it's not like WMDs have ever been used before to shorten a war and save millions of lives. It is an empty threat and the Dominion knows it.

>But it proves that the Cardassians aren't a naturally evil race. Given time, after the Dominion war, they can be brought into the fold of the Federation.

Putting away your Nazi gear to pick up their new friends purple Nazi gear isn't a convincing argument.

>You at least try. I don't know why that seems so confusing. Not shooting first doesn't mean you don't shoot at all.

Nausicaan Pirates are still a thing in STO. They have been a thing since ENT. They gud boiz dey dindu nuffin, jus gib 1 moar chance. To say nothing of shit repeatedly done by the Klingons, Romulans, Thoalians and others.
>>
>>51077660
That actually makes alot of sense, and would enjoy that as well, piloting a ship that never got truly realized on the show.
>>
>>51077666
>Putting away your Nazi gear to pick up their new friends purple Nazi gear isn't a convincing argument.
Do you think your people wouldn't make a deal with the devil if it meant salvation from a Klingon invasion? The difference between the Federation and Cardassia is that the UFP keeps the Klingons at bay by being too boring to fight (as well as their arsenal of doomsday weapoms and historical references to how humans used to be the absolute best at war). The Cardassians made themselves a worthy foe with an inferior position, which is the worst thing to be in front of the Klingons. The Cardassian were in the wrong, yes, but that doesn't condone their genocide as a convenient option for the unoriginally named "Allies".

>Nausicaan Pirates are still a thing in STO. They have been a thing since ENT. They gud boiz dey dindu nuffin, jus gib 1 moar chance. To say nothing of shit repeatedly done by the Klingons, Romulans, Thoalians and others.
By that logic nobody would ever make peace with anyone. France and England would be engaged in a 1000 year war, America would be at war with basically everyone and China would be an unending, unrelenting shitshow. It's possible for 2 nations to dislike one another without being engaged in an open conflict. I point you towards Russian-American relations for the past 70 years as a point of reference. As for the Nausican pirates, they're pirates, not a country. Dealing with them is an issue of security rather than one of state intrigue.
>>
>>51073471
>Hail Mary
>genesis torpedoes
Welp, time to load up the Akiras...
>>
>>51076188
>>51076323
>End of the Cold War, ft. Russia and China
Like, I get the "lol we're so relevant gais" preaching is a permanent fixture in Trek, but this time they weren't even TRYING to be subtle.
>>
>>51076632
>>51076674
See >>51076580
>Are they like mentally damaged from all the utopia that the universe is a nice and friendly place?
No, but Gene was.
>>
>>51058658
Yeah, when he shuts up.
>>
>>51078175
Thats it. That's literally it. /discussion
>>
>>51077944
>As for the Nausican pirates, they're pirates, not a country. Dealing with them is an issue of security rather than one of state intrigue.
Uh... that whole society are amoral beat the shit out of you and steal your shit while they are at it. Not instantly charging weapons and raising shields while telling them to fuck off is an incredible stupid choice when one of their ships show up. And when they do start shooting, turning them into space dust is probably your best option because showing mercy would only bring more later most likely who want to settle a score.
'So times you accomplish more with a gun in someone's face and a kind word than with just a kind word in itself', I believe that's a WH40K quote.
I think at times the heads of the UFP and Star Fleet are too wrapped up in appearances and not enough in the results end. Sometimes talking is a waste of time at the beginning and literally melting half their ship or planet would make them see reason more easily. Gun boat diplomacy isn't needed in all situations but it would seem a good fall tactic in a Trek setting but the current TNG setting is too pussy to really make it work.
>>
>>51078175
>>51078236
>sees debate about in setting politics and philosophy
>reduces it to the most boring possible answer

We all know the inconsistencies in these shows are a result of writing, that Rodenberry when let loose without someone there to balance out his eccentric tendencies could write some profoundly crap stories. What we're discussing is whether the Federation should have shoot first approach or if they should continue with more or less the same strategy they're employed already.

Side note:
I think a cold war style drama between Romulus and the Federation would have been a fantastic post-DS9 show.
>>
>>51078978
Romulans have never gotten enough love period.
>>
>>51078978
>What we're discussing is whether the Federation should have shoot first approach or if they should continue with more or less the same strategy they're employed already.

Not that anon but honestly whenever this kind of thing comes up in this thread it reads a lot like someone bitching that star trek shouldn't be star trek because they're doing it wrong by being star trek. Coupled with a bunch of hyperbolic examples and extrapolations that typically ignore context within cited episodes or just the setting's emphasis.

Statements like "Section 31 did nothing wrong" and similar that crop up frequently really don't seem like they're being posted as part of a well thought out, rational set of debating points.
>>
>>51079844
>Coupled with a bunch of hyperbolic examples and extrapolations that typically ignore context within cited episodes or just the setting's emphasis
Sounds startlingly similar to modern political debates

I take your point though. A lot of these arguments boil down to what >>51076962 said. Star Trek, while sometimes dark, is a generally optimistic show and trying to make it otherwise is generally rendered moot because it grates with the show' original tone.

We've had a couple of decent debates over the last few months. Like about what a reasonable Federation accord on human genetic engineering would look like. I live in hope that we can have more constructive arguments like that.
>>
>>51070243
>>51071082
The Romulans on the Narada are the ones brought through by Nero - they and their opplsnerf strength is from the Prime Universe (if STO is to be trusted).
>>
>>51080857
Ah, okay.
Never actually saw it, JJ Abrams' stuff really grates on me for some reason.
>>
>>51077165
Proportional responses don't work. They're the signature failure of American policy in the middle east, and that's against our own species, our own genetic branch of said species, and even related major religions. The Federation SHOULD have phase cloaked patrol ships (hell, even a Miranda or a Danube) loaded with Genesis torps at the border at the closest point to every major power. This should be paired with an explicit policy that acts of war will be met with a Genesis strike on the enemy power's home world. This is basically MAD at Trek scale, and should be similarly effective at maintaining peace.
>>
>>51082578
You've pretty much described the Iconians(both STO and non STO). Things didn't end well for them. Turns out the being massive douchebags kinda just united everybody against them and got their entire empire wiped out.
>>
>>51082984
Yeah but one of their enemies was the Federation. The UFP won't declare war on itself and without a Borg incursion or some godmode race like the Voth intervening there's nobody else who can take them, post DS9.
>>
>>51082578
>I want Star Trek to be 40k
I really hate this meme.
>>
>>51083132
If you should wish that star trek be something else wish for it to be star wars so we can have a series focusing on frontier settlers with jury-rigged civilian/surplus ships.
>>
>>51083014
>>51083014
Then why even bother with operation "alienate all our allies and most of our own population"? If the Federation is already safe from incursions by its neighbours then why hold a gun to their heads? That's like America pointing nukes at Canada "just incase". It makes no political sense and runs contrary to the general ideals of the Federation.
>>
>>51083014
>nd without a Borg incursion or some godmode race like the Voth intervening there's nobody else who can take them, post DS9.
Then why fuck up relations by pointing WMD's at their shit?
>>
File: 1474146123963.png (159KB, 700x674px) Image search: [Google]
1474146123963.png
159KB, 700x674px
>>51077396
You wouldn't happen to have a source on that conversation between the Klingons and Romulans would you?
>>
File: 1464988178620.gif (937KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1464988178620.gif
937KB, 500x281px
>>51078023
>>
>>51082578
>>51083132
>I really hate this meme.
You know you are the meme right now, anon. We have already seen that Trek can be more human and practice at times instead of idealistic like with DS9. Some of us just seem to want more of that in contrast to all the bullshit of. We fix all our problems with technobabble and just call it day by the end of the episode. I would like my Trek more like Babylon 5 where tech is hardly ever the solution and if it is. It still is not easy and you still have to bleed for your victory.
>>
>>51008209
>implying quark didn't choose that floor so he could claim anything that was dropped in his bar

I bet he makes a killing off dropped chips
>>
>>51085542

There is that one episode where he's looking for dropped jewelry and whatnot.
>>
>>51082984

remember when the Federation violated the Temporal Prime Directive in STO in an effort to wipe out the Iconians in the past and preserve its existence
>>
>>51078978
Any idea which treads had the cold war stuff? Is very much my interest.
>>
>>51085927
We don't know what the temporal prime directive actually states. It may very well allow for fucking with time if there is a big enough threat to the Federation.
>>
File: U.S.S. Specter - Fly Casual.jpg (4MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
U.S.S. Specter - Fly Casual.jpg
4MB, 6830x3840px
>>51085927

And then you're not allowed to kill them all, prevent the war, and retroactively save billions, perhaps trillions of lives?

Yeah. We watched the same cutscenes and clicked the same "Next" button disguised as dialogue as you did.

While it would have been nice to have the illusion of choice, I'd still probably give them their mcguffin back.
>>
>>51086001

holy shit that thing is ugly. and yeah, you can sum up most of STO's new content with "the illusion of choice"

on an unrelated note, anyone wanna see the ridiculous complex character sheet generator my STO RP group uses?
>>
oh and all of you STO peeps who like a good story should play the Unity Foundry series if you haven't already. Honestly it's the best content I've played in STO
>>
>>51086063

>Unity

christ it's late. Purity, not Unity
>>
>>51086063
I myself greatly enjoyed Mirror Wars as it allowed me to fulfill my dream of playing my own parallel universe evil twin. Well, that and Mirror Barclay's hot granddaughter.
>>
File: U.S.S. Specter - No Visuals 4.jpg (3MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
U.S.S. Specter - No Visuals 4.jpg
3MB, 6830x3840px
>>51086037

>ugly

Butt ugly. But its stats are unreal, and even not using it to maxim optimal deeps chasing extent it murders everything around it.

>complex character sheet generator

Consider me mildly interested.

>>51086072

>purity

I think I've played it, but its possible I'm confusing it with some other Foundry content.
>>
>>51086114

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aDqMPvz-f0bVJ1bjcyTVF6VUU/view?usp=sharing

it works ideally in Excel 2013 and above or LibreOffice
>>
File: 2014-04-06_00008.jpg (465KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-06_00008.jpg
465KB, 1920x1080px
>>51086037
>illusion of choice
Most vidya that's the best you can do. I'm not going to fault STO of all things over that.

>foundry
There was some autist that made a 30+ mission series some years ago. Most of the missions got lost, unfortunately, so there are a lot of skips and jumps. Also, autism, so the writing was pretty bad technically (there were times when I literally didn't know what it was saying), while it was decent enough in what it was getting across. Unfortunately, like most older foundry missions, there are a lot more map transitions than strictly necessary, so loading takes forever.
If there were one thing I could tell foundry mission makers, it would be to make as much as possible happen on as few maps as possible. Loading screens really kill the mood, and with how long the foundry loading screens are, sometimes I'm sitting loading more than I am actually doing something.
>>
File: screenshot_2017-01-08-03-26-17.jpg (534KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2017-01-08-03-26-17.jpg
534KB, 1920x1080px
>>51086443

I feel ya on the Foundry stuff. there needs to be a consistent flow to it otherwise the constant loading will lose you.

pic unrelated, it's my fleet leader and I chillin after an event
>>
Looks like we need a new thread
So any helpful anon want to start it?
>>
>>51078718

Well, you know what Sisko says. When you look out through the windows of SF Command, you don't see a world of tough choices and unpleasant solutions, you see paradise.
>>
New thread
>>51087747
>>51087747
>>51087747
>>
>>51086063
Purity's pretty good - but I've seen a decent few with better writing, polishing or Trekfeel, and it doesn't really deserve to be glued to the Top Rated pages eternally. Dark Alliance is pretty damn good, less melodramatic than Purity, has a surprisingly well handled tie-in to Star Trek III, but never got the conclusion to its trilogy, and I'm so pissed at that.

Another good one I can't remember, but it started off with The Worst of Both Worlds and ended with This Far, No Further I may be a little biased since I love TNG references, as well as shooting Borg and Pah-Wraiths in equal measure.

>>51086100
Mirror wars was pretty great, though, and even though I don't normally RP on STO (at least, not much, although that's pretty much all it's good for these days) I spent ages making an outfit and loadout for my mirror self. And fugging Barclay Jnr was cool, too, even if she turned out to be a bit of a shit.
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.