[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 54

File: IMG_1502.jpg (112KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1502.jpg
112KB, 1024x768px
Terrible Jem'Hadar Flying Edition

Previous thread >>51005375

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>http://www.onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>http://www.ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>http://www.stdimension.org/int/

/stg/ Errata

The Adventures of the Ark Royal Crew (an /stg/ setting)
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

The history of Klingon Civil Rights/Star Trek artwork (more /stg/ headcanon)
>http://klingonhistory.weebly.com/
>>
>>51087747

>What's the weather like out there Warrior?
>Dunno, lemme check
>It's raining Jem'Hadar attack ships!
>It is a good day to -
>All hands lost
>>
>>51087816

Come to think of it, is there a Klingon equivalent to the Miranda class? I.e. the whipping boy of the fleet that just keeps getting blown up?
>>
>>51087832

Probably the BoP, if anything.

It's a fragile little thing.
>>
>>51087832
Absolutely the B'rel Bird of Prey. Those things have an even worse survival rate than the Miranda class. The K'vort, by comparison survives pretty well.
>>
>>51087816
>Dominon War at its peak
>Miranda class patrolling quieter sectors while newer and better armed ships are sent to the front lines.
>Pursue sightings of Jem'Hadar Attack Ships in the area because it's manned by third-rate crew who have no idea what they're actually up against
>Arrive at the scene of Vor'cha being torn apart in OP's pic related.
>Raise shields, battle stations.
>Dominion ships warp out without spotting them
>Crew breathes collective sigh of relief.
>Lower shields and begin searching for survivors to beam aboard
>Microscopic debris from the wreckage punctures the viewscreen and destroys the bridge
>All hands lost
>>
>>51088383
>Miranda on supply mission
>brain fluid turned into alcohol because that's apparently something that can happen
>despite being drunk and horny, the crew manage to navigate the ship back to a starbase to receive assistance.
>Klingon ship also docked at starbase
>comms officer hails them to start shit-talking Khaless
>fight ensues
>all hands lost
>>
>>51089067
It that had ended with
>Fight ensues
>Ship banned from argo
>All pants lost

It would have been perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>>
>>51089067
>Miranda on patrol
>Bolian crewmember takes a dump in the wrong toilet
>All hands lost
>>
>>51089515
>Miranda on patrol
>Accident with a wood chipper occurs
>All hands lost but crew is still alive
>>
>>51089961
>Miranda in Spacedock
>Ship's first officer decides to play a game of cards against the station commander
>all hands lost
>>
>>51089989
If only we had a drawfag to make comics out of these all hands lost jokes.
>>
>>51090126
Wasn't there someone making a game out of it?
>>
good morning /tg/

reposting this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aDqMPvz-f0bVJ1bjcyTVF6VUU/view?usp=sharing

and after witnessing a Star Wars new canon debate I'm suddenly grateful for the simple divide between Memory Alpha and Beta.
>>
sss
>>
>>
>>51091216
What's the source on this? Some sort of show pitch?
>>
>>51090251
>on mobile so I only got down to halfway through Starfleet Academy Simulator 2k17 before it crashed
Still, looks good fampai.

Also, what was the shitsling about? Surely it's just the same divide as Canon/Legends on the SW wiki?
>>
>>51091825
Based on nacelle position and saucer shape (as well as "the first adventure" and use of DS9(?) font), I'd hazard that this was an early concept for the NX Class
>>
>>51089513
WTF am I listening to?

How did in not know I needed this in my life?
>>
>>51092003
The rest of the album is so-so but Argo Statiom is very catchy.
>>
>>51092713
Transport eighteen is pretty good too.

So pity us poor sailors where ever we gooo for there's no way of telling if we'll ever come hoooome!
>>
>>51091858
>>51091825

Following Star Trek 5 there was serious concern about being able to make another film, so a pitch was made for a prequel to be made with mainly cheaper, younger cast primarily for the crew on a first adventure on an older ship.
The design there is what was proposed for the Enterprise that had become a training ship due to it's age, much as what happened with 1701.
>>
>>51091836
They've not had the Canon divide as long as we have. Plus a lot of the inconsistencies in Beta canon are described as happening in in alternate timelines, which gives Trek fans the simple work-around of conflating the Destiny/Typhon Pact/STO/assorted vidya timelines with the Mirror Universe. Just different combinations of the same players.

By comparison, the Star Wars EU was, in theory, all one continuous story. Without that ingrained disconnect, they've suddenly had that ripped away from them (except not really, because it's not like Disney went and burned every copy of the Thrawn trilogy.)

With regards to the /tg/ community for Star Wars, nothing has really changed as Disney hasn't made changes to the Lucas Films deal with FFG.
>>
File: IMG_0926.jpg (348KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0926.jpg
348KB, 1080x1080px
So what's the story with this old /v/ fleet? Do they have access restrictions on buying fleet gear?
>>
File: Scruffy.jpg (7KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
Scruffy.jpg
7KB, 184x184px
>>51096344
As a janitor (i know im officially called an officer but whatever) i say you can buy stuff as long as you contribute to starbase construction (and at the moment TOS era station construction).

If you were asking for what is available, well almost everything is maxed out, except for the starbase itself and the TOS station.

Im getting online now so if you need a fleet invitation or something just call me on /v/ chat.
>>
File: Scruffy 2.jpg (82KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Scruffy 2.jpg
82KB, 420x420px
>>51096465
Nope, wait, never mind.
Im officially called a janitor.
>>
>>51096465
>>51096503
I'm basically just looking for the Diplomatic Plasma Explosion Consoles. I've given about 80k dilithium to my current fleet and they still won't let me near them.
>>
>>51096749
Oh, well imo you should get one.

t:Scruffy.
>>
>>51096749
Im off for the night now, if you want some plasma explosion consoles then talk with me tomorrow in game or alternatively go for NoP Public Service chat channel and ask around if there is someone who is willing to invite you to their fleet to buy you some consoles.

t:Scruffy.
>>
>>51097410
Cheers, I'll aim to be on for a while tomorrow
>>
>>51091836

hahaha yeah def not a sheet designed for mobile

the big shitstorm right now is on this SWG server I'm on and whether they will recognize New Canon
>>
so i just saw star trek beyond

8.5/10 good flick, and i don't care for jj trek... or is this one considered JJ trek cause i thought they had a different director that time?
>>
>>51098313
Scotty/Simon Pegg directed this one or codirected it or some shit. Either way Pegg is a Trekkie which might explain why it felt TOS flavoured.
>>
>>51098313
Beyond would be a solid 2-parter for TOS or TNG. It sticks with the style and flow of jjtrek while adopting the more coherent character development of the older shows.
>>
File: mcwhat.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
mcwhat.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>51099533
>coherent character development
>literally starts off with kirk going "ermaghurd its hard being a captain its so hard and nobody understands!11!!!!1!"
>>
>>51099756
Characters outside of Kirk/Spock manage to have arcs rather than just being scenery. And At least Kirk's arc wasn't "I need to learn the importance of teamwork and authority" yet again.
>>
>>51099756
To be fair, he did say they've never been in space for that long without hitting a port before.
>>
>>51099886
No, instead it was "I'm super veteran and jaded because I expected someone who betrayed us twice to do it again, someone find this poor baby a counselor."
>>
>>51099888
He's also still younger than prime Kirk was when he first became Captain of the Enterprise, so has much less experience dealing with this shit. He didn't have years of command training under other Captain's; he was just thrown into the chair and left to work shit out himself.
>>
>>51100023
For all the shit Prime universe Starfleet gets, this one is insane.
>>
>>51099935
Do you know what an arc is? You've described a 20 minute portion of the movie from 1 characters perspective, not an arc. For the record, kirks arc (which was the weakest, IMO) was reaffirming that he's where he should be, in the captains seat, and wouldn't last in an admiralty position.

To be honest, Bones' and Spock's friendship was a much more interesting short-term arc.
>>
File: 1483909032232.jpg (53KB, 855x377px) Image search: [Google]
1483909032232.jpg
53KB, 855x377px
>>51100067
not him, but pic related
>>
>>51100410
I really don't see how.
>>
Alright, /STG/, I'm relatively new but sick as shit of grinding marks and patrols already. Anybody got any good Foundry missions they'd recommend me?

Already worked my way through the Purity series, as suggested at the tail end of last thread, and it's underwhelming as shit for something so high on the Top Rated list.
>>
I'm not usually one to go posting fanfic but I started working on a short story about a pair of Cardassian snipers during the Klingon invasion and I reckon I'll post a gdrive of it in this thread in the next day or so. See what people think.

On an unrelated note, I used to play BFG and space strategy is my favourite genre of ttg. I know there is a Star Trek miniature game but I was wondering if any of you have played it? Is it any good? Is there a community for it? Would I be better off biting the bullet and going for Dropfleet or Star Wars Armada?
>>
Why doesn't Dukat have a first name?
>>
>>51100843
His first name is Skrain.
>>
>>51100641
Which star trek miniature game do you mean? there's more than 2 at least.
>>
File: Kirk layboy.jpg (584KB, 1029x805px) Image search: [Google]
Kirk layboy.jpg
584KB, 1029x805px
Question: Should Captains of starships ever be in long term relationships with their preferred gender of partner? I mean everyone is free to get married but the life of a captain kind of makes it very complex. Since dating one of your own crew is not allowed by the rules. I mean they can be bent for other crewmen at times. Captains don't have that luxury since it could affect the captain making unbiased decisions about his crew like Picard and that one science officer. Or long distance relationships like the one that happens with Janeway. I don't what the guy saw in her to begin with really. I guess what I'm saying is unless a captain is shown to be married to his job/ship then I call bullshit. That is unless they can really show how it works and developed and is believable. The Troi and Riker thing is what comes to mind or a relationship like Keiko and O'Brien but Miles isn't really a guy who goes zooming all over the galaxy usually and the wife came along most of the time too.
>>
requestion local ship is fucking invincible picture
>>
>>51101215
>Since dating one of your own crew is not allowed by the rules
Is it really? I mean, it's obviously preferred, at least by the captains themselves for various reasons, but I get no indication that it's actually against regs. If they mention it in some episode, it's been violated by many others on many occasions.
But to actually answer your question, it really depends on the missions the captain would tend to be assigned to. I would suppose that, unless a captain is particularly prestigious and gets a long-term exploration assignment, they would be like any other military deployment. I mean, most captains don't start their careers as ship captains; even STO says that the MC's situation is an unusual one done in desperation (though in a military setting it's justified and would probably be normal (if you don't do the tutorial and start out as a lt), especially in a wartime situation like STO starts out as - but Starfleet isn't military :^) ). A younger officer could easily get a spouse, and then keep the spouse until they are captain. And even then, the Galaxy was designed for the families to come along on those long missions, and we know that even on smaller vessels the higher-ups can have family along too (see Sisko). Things might be difficult for captains to gain a new long-term relationship, as a captain, since they are both so busy, and they tend to be older and less inclined to make quick flings into longer things.
>>
>>51100596
Have you tried out the Dark Alliance ones mentioned last thread?
>>
>>51100045
Apparently if you save the Federation from imminent doom, you get to keep the ship you did it with. Even if you are utterly unqualified.
>>
>>51100843
Cardassians don't seem to use first names very much, except with family. Presumably he has one, and it just didn't come up during the show.
>>
>>51100843
>>51103556
He just goes by Dukat, like Cher or Madonna.
If you absolutely insist on one, you have a choice between Skrain, Elmo, and S.G.
>>
>>51103893
For the longest time (DS9 was airing while I was a child) I thought his first name was Gul.
>>
>>51099756
So basically ST TMP Kirk.
>>
>>51100596

>Already worked my way through the Purity series, as suggested at the tail end of last thread, and it's underwhelming as shit for something so high on the Top Rated list.

I guess I just liked the story? I dunno, sorry to hear that. I'll think of a few others for you to try, there's a really good Red October tribute in there that I based one of my STO DMing sessions on
>>
>>51104220

I believe that tribute episode is called Jolan Truth
>>
>>51100596
Back in the day Cryptic spotlighted several foundry missions. I don't know if those are still easy to access or not (haven't touched the foundry since it went down for AoY). If you like a particular mission, you can then try others by that author. You could also look on the forums under the foundry mission database section: there are at least a few lists there of better missions.
>>
>>51101082
Whichever has more of a following, really.
>>
>>51103914
I was the same. It's only now that I'm an adult, rewatching the show, that I was curious what his name was.
>>
>>51107012
Turns out it's Skrain.
>>
Speaking of names, do we ever get to know what Quark's family name is and what a first name for a Vulcan even sounds like?
>>
>>51107765
See, I don't think the Ferengi really go in for family names. After all, they just view them as potential employees. So Quark is much more likely to just be known as Quark of Quark's Bar rather than Quark Keldarson because that's where their culture places emphasis.

As for the issue of Vulcan forenames being unpronounceable by human, I've had an idea;

we see that Vulcans are able to perfectly mimic animal sounds, so they have a much broader vocal range than most humanoid races. So their own original spoken language may sound a more like whale sounds or the like, hence their forenames are impossible to properly convey to non-vulcans.

But when the Vulcans went out into the universe and discovered that nobody else possessed their freakish vocal range, they decided to reform their spoken language to something more palatable because being able to naturally converse with your neighbours is the only logical way to maintain a stable trade/peace treaty. Given that they would also need to be easily identifiable to non-vulcans, they adopted a simple middle-name structure, to be used in formal settings. So Spock and Sarek serve as acceptable identifiers, while their actual names remain something of a personal matter.

Alternately, this happened around the time of Sarek. The Vulcans of the time, "Sargon's people" had this elaborate language whilst the "people of the raptor" used a more traditional humanoid structure. This became one of the cornerstones of their conflict and their linguistic divide ultimately stopped peace from ever being achieved. After the fact, one of Sargon's people, came forward and proposed, amongst other things, that they do away with their language and embrace logic, adopting the name Sarek as a sign of his devotion to a new people, a Vulcan people.
>>
>>51104510

once http://starbaseugc.com/ comes back up that will be a valuable resource
>>
Why is there no internet in Star Trek. I get that there's computer databases that can be accessed accross the Federation, but that's essentially just the Wiki-portion of our modern day internet. So Why isn't there a omnipresent set of education, entertainment and public forum sites?
>>
>>51109855
How do we know there isn't? Most of the shows were made before the internet got to be even remotely well known/accessible so wasn't being included in the stories for lack of familiarity either by the writers or for the audience, and most of what's shown in the shows is military crews out on a frontier perpetually travelling and not really in a state to access such a thing.
>>
>>51109855
TNG is delightfully cyberpunk in some ways. I love watching them carry tablets to each other instead of using intra ship email.
>>
>>51109978
>>51109855
The only place it would really be visible would be on DS9.

I have a theory that the Internet is banned between planets, or at least severely limited, because the possibilities for espionage are nearly endless.
>>
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10340523-the-tzenkethi-are-coming
>>
>>51110332
Yeah, i just noticed that too.
Wonder what sorta ships they are gonna fly.
>>
>>51110694
Reskinned Voth dragon dildo ships.
>>
>>51110332
Looks dull as fuck.
>>
>>51110332
What are these ayy lmaos doing in my bumpy forehead game?
>>
File: Long FAMAS is loooooooooong.jpg (44KB, 652x333px) Image search: [Google]
Long FAMAS is loooooooooong.jpg
44KB, 652x333px
>>51110928
My guess is they will be the targets of next season.

Purple space rhino season will open "soon".
I hope all of you got your hunting guns ready!
>>
>>51110332
The look like knock off Sangheli from Halo.
>>
Has anybody here played attack wing? Is it any good?
>>
>>51104220
>>51104510
Yeah, the foundry spotlight's up there again, but given the "5/10 it was okay" of some of the content of them (the polish was great, but it felt almost - but not quite - as untrekky as Cryptic's missions).

Dark Alliance was pretty damn good (anon last thread was right, the ST:III reference was pretty well done) and I liked being reunited with my 23c waifu afterwars but holy shit we need a Part 3 soon.

Mirror Wars is good so far, although I gave my ship a mirror self loadout as well as costume because I'm autistic like that :^)
>>
>>51110928
Ask the fucking power armoured spiders and shapeshifting moist...things.
>>
>>51113661
So is there actually still a decent number of people making foundry missions?
>>
>>51115599
I have no idea - I'm relatively new to the game, but there are a decent few foundry missions out there. Dark Alliance is a good one, but it seems like Ep3 is never gonna happen. Probably the case with a lot of others.
>>
File: IMG_1285.jpg (248KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1285.jpg
248KB, 1080x1080px
>>51116590
A while back(we're talking a couple years now) there was a sudden lull on the foundry that seemed to stretch on for months. I haven't seriously looked at the foundry since. I assumed it was all farming missions now. The more you know, I guess.
>>
>>51115599

yes

There's even a discord and website dedicated to it
>>
Okay, so it was asked about Janeway and the Generic Injun a few threads back - but did Data and Yar fugg in The Naked Now?
>>
>>51118671
I'd say so. I like to think that it's one of the reasons why they became so close and why Data found it so hard to let go of Tasha after her death.
>>
>>51110184
>I have a theory that the Internet is banned between planets, or at least severely limited, because the possibilities for espionage are nearly endless.
Instantaneous interstellar communication is probably extremely expensive.
>>
>>51113653
Ask /bgg/
>>
File: CKK8kId.gif (2MB, 318x241px) Image search: [Google]
CKK8kId.gif
2MB, 318x241px
>>51119022
>Star Trek General
>on /traditional games/
>filled with OC and STO talk
>tells anon asking about a trek-related tabletop game to go elsewhere
>pic related
>>
>>51118726
Damn, so he never got frisky with jenna? Was he just programmed to have a thing for QT security officers with short cuts?
>>
>>51118671

He says as much in 'Measure of a Man'.
>>
>>51119194
Maybe Dr Soong wanted Data to fulfill his ERP dreams by getting "disrespected so good" by an angry Security officer.
>>
>>51113653
It's okay. Feels a lot like a mix of Clix and X-Wing, and the figures are, sadly, all about the same size. They're also not really well painted for the earlier waves.
>>
>>51119163
I doubt anyone here's played the game.
>>
>>51119257
Huh, wonder what Zimmerman was into?
>>
>>51119338
Again,
>/stg/
>on /tg/
>in the OP for forever
despair.png
>>
>>51113653
It's decent. If you've played X-wing it's very similar to that. It focuses around outmaneuvering your opponents and knowing their strengths and weaknesses. in order to start playing you're probably looking at €60(or the equivalent in your currency) to get started, with the mandatory core set(all the peices you need as well as 3 ships) and a couple of expansions.

The only thing I'll say is that the community is pretty sparse. Unless your local hobbyshop is particularly niche you're unlikely to find randomers to play against. If you're going to get this, then get it with a couple of friends so that you know you have peopl to play with. In that case you can very easily spread to cost out and buy a bigger fleet.
>>
File: y9vlq[1].jpg (150KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
y9vlq[1].jpg
150KB, 1920x1440px
>>51119401
>€60(or the equivalent in your currency)
So $60 USD.
>>
>>51119022
>asking /bbg/ for info on a miniature collecting game
>asking /bbg/ for any help, ever
Nice one bro, I chuckled.
>>
>>51119364
If DS9 is to be believed then he likes em' dumb with a great pair of "personalities". But in Voyager he has his holographic "daughter" which is just all kinds of weird. That and talking Iguanas. To each their own, I suppose.
>>
>>51119413
If we're going to be absolutely pedantic then no, roughly 63-64USD, depending on the markets. Funnily enough it didn't occur to me to check the exchange rate before posting pricing advice in the currency I'm most familiar with. I'll make sure to pre-check and then post in the Euro, Pound, Dollar, Ruble, Renminbi and Malawian Kwacha in the future.
>>
>>51119653
>Funnily enough it didn't occur to me that civilisation exists outside the jewnited states
>>
>>51119694
>jewnited states
Not with our incoming POTUS it won't be.
>>
>>51119268
>>51119401
Thanks, does it have much of a learning curve? Would I be able to get a couple of people up to speed with it over the course of a couple games?
>>
>>51119815
Probably yeah. It's not a terribly complicated game once you've got the hang of the phase-based gameplay. Take a look at a gameplay demo on Youtube and see if it's up your alley before you go and buy it.
>>
>>51119014
>Instantaneous interstellar communication is probably extremely expensive.
Well. most of the times we see it used. Is on Star Fleet line ships so at least escort level with powerful warp engines and heavy duty deflector discs that can handle the power needed to punch singles though subspace. Most lesser races still use light speed limited communications.
>>
>>51122404
>* signals
>>
>>51110184
>I have a theory that the Internet is banned between planets, or at least severely limited, because the possibilities for espionage are nearly endless.
This actually fits with the handwave/retcon for why everything computational or networking is so much shittier in TOS compared to ENT: the Romulan War. The Romulans were a bunch of leet hax0rz that turned Starfleet's own ships against each other while giggling like pointy eared script kiddies, and so for the next ~150 years, that caution prevented any kind of proper networking aboard ships. From what we saw of Earth and Jupiter Station during VOY, the rules are a bit looser on fixed installations in a core Federation system.
>>
>>51103893
>Elmo
?
>>
>>51123986
>Dukat's initials (S.G.) come from the DS9 Season 6 opener "A Time to Stand", in which Dukat records a permanent documentation file identifying himself as "Dukat, S.G." Though it is possible that it stands for "Station Gul", Ronald D. Moore jokingly gave Dukat's first name as "Elmo" on several occasions, stating it had "always been his first name." (AOL chat, 1997) Moore further commented, "The initials probably represent some rank or association or achievement (like Ph.d, or A.S.C., or J.D.)." (AOL chat, 1997)
>>
I am trying to get into STO and so far I've found Romulan and Klingon ships pretty fun with their cloaking and stuff, whilst Feds seem pretty bland (though the TOS missions were pretty awesome) but i don't really understand the science/tactical/engineering divide or what races are good at what things. My current characters are a TOS Vulcan Tac officer i stopped playing when the TOS content ended, a Lethean Engineer still in the tutorial and a Romulan Science Officer.
>>51122404
One of the only things we ever hear about being rationed on core federation worlds where nearly everything is post-scarce is transporters. Sisko "used up transporter credits" and people still use turbolifts despite transport technology existing outside of absolute emergencies, so i assume the most energy intense thing in Star Trek is transporters.
>>
>>51125046
Artificial scarcity and rationing is a way to motivate people.

Without motivation the vast majority of the UFP would either go Full NEET or end up some way down the NEET scale.
>>
>>51125062
There's no indication they create that sort of artificial scarcity relating to transporters, nor that everyone in the world would sit around in basements if they got everything for free. Hell, there may well be a decently large number of people who are technically NEETs on each world but those people still hold social value to others and provide an emergency workforce.

There are a number of incentives one can provide to get tasks done other than artificial scarcity and when you have as many resources as the federation does even if you assume only one in every ten people wants to work that would still be more than is necessary to maintain their standard of living given the technology they have. Enough people would work simply for a sense of accomplishment or for their own entertainment it would be near pointless to create artificial scarcity for things like transportation.
>>
>>51125062
>>51125176
Besides the point that the UFP is probably full of NEETs, if it really was just artificial why dont they just transport their fucking spaceships everywhere? Why would they need warp at all? Also why do people unload cargo or use shuttles to bring things up and down from planets when everything could just be beamed?

To me it suggests Transporters use a lot more energy than other technologies pictured. People woudlnt be willing to haul cargo boxes in and out of freighters if it were more efficient to just recquisition an extra power cell rather than gather up all those laborers.
>>
>>51125254
Transporters seem to be of limited size, so it would make sense that bulk stuff would have to be moved manually. There might also be a mass limit. They do have cargo transporters, though, so it's not like all cargo has to be done manually.
>>
>>51125280
Well that limited size could be again related to energy costs, perhaps the larger the object the more energy intensive and because of the square cube law it quickly gets out of hand?

Anyway im not the biggest expert on the show, but i always got the impression Transporters were the most energy intensive commonly used technology mainly because people have access to other things like replication in their homes, but next to nobody has anything like a Transporter in their house and considering the popularity of personal transportation devices today (cars) surely a transporter would have similar appeal.
>>
>>51125321
Could also be that the transporter itself is just a bulky thing. The computational power alone is staggering; that would require some space in itself.
Of course, then there's Nemesis, where you just need a little badge to transport a single person once...
>>
>>51125321
I think a lot of Star Fleet and by extension the UFP oddities and societal inconsistencies can be attributed to the possibility that Janeway is the last Admiral left.

All the others are a collection of:

Founders
Tal-shiar pretending to be Vulcans
Throwback ridgeless Klingons
Undine/8472 in disguise
Neural parasites
lens-flare energy beings possessing people
Borg with all but a few cerebral enhancements removed

And one Section 31 operative.

The Section 31 dude knows what everyone is but is inclined to let it slide as none of the others suspect anything about anyone and Star Fleet has never run so smoothly.
>>
>>51125360
I mean i havent seen Nemesis. Im just finished with DS9 season six, like i said im no expert. Up next (after finishing DS9) i plan to watch TNG with the occasional TOS episode to break it up.
>>51125378
Reminds me on how the communists in paranoia were founded, there were no communists hiding in the desert (at least not the kind the computer was looking for) but since the computer killed everyone who said that (believing them to be liars or failures) eventually people FOUNDED the evil gommies and started larping as russians so they would have something to spy on. So every single one of them is actually a spy unaware the rest of the organization is a spy and sometimes the computer orders them to let one of this organizations plans succeed to make sure it isnt too obvious its been infiltrated.

But anyway the writers of Star Trek cant always keep their characters or technologies straight, of course they wont make any sense of any economics more advanced than "supply and demand is important" and "when i go down the street i pay money for a sandwich but federation people dont".
>>
>>51125416
Nemesis is almost as bad at Star Trek as JJ Trek is, but without the decent direction.
>>
>>51125439
Well i liked that in the third one they go explore something. It was confusing to me how little exploration the other two had.
>>
>>51125487
It seems like they were starting out with some sort of plan for a gradual development of the story but then just went fuck it and jumped ahead so we don't get to experience them learning
>>
>>51125592
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE! BY WHICH WE MEAN VULCAN!
>>
>>51125623
Origin stories are the were the meme film back then and we are only just escaping that nightmare

I just a comfy space film about exploring and killing evil xenos
>>
>>51125688
To be honest "killing evil aliens" was what i disliked about the first one. The film wasnt about exploration or solving problems, it was "stop the evil guy before he commits space 9/11 2.0". I would have rather seen a film about aliens with a plague demanding they find a cure or they will use space WMDs on federation worlds so they have to travel to X other alien races planet since they bioengineered the plague and yadda yadda. Fistfights and ship battles should be a part of it, but just making it about killing evil romulans was boring.
>>
>>51125747
The worst thing was that the romulans were fucking miners, yet their ship had enough armament to annihilate star fleet
Is their some head canon bullshit excuse of them pilfering an armoury? But even that doesn't make sense
>>
>>51125830
It was repurposed mining equipment from centuries in the future.

Also by that point in the original time line the Romulans were taking apart Borg wreckage to see how it ticks.

The mining ship was centuries ahead of time Romulan / Borg hybrid tech.
>>
>>51125865
Ah the good old VOY bollocks of borg superpower tech

The drill thing was understandable, but what I was annoyed by was the thousands of torpedoes that it could endlessly fire out
Did Nero hack into Federation historical records and find stg threads and decide to build his own Akira?
>>
>>51125987
Nero actually came across one of the "The Federation should nuke everybody forever" tangent threads and that's what led him to believe that Starfleet were responsible for the destruction of Romulus.

The interior layout of his ship is based primarily off of the IRW HUEG and most of his engineering staff are forced to live innatubes.
>>
Anyone have any opinions on Discovery? Sounds like the first season is going to be another interpretation of the Battle of Axanar. Probably why CBS is so butthurt at the fan version.
>>
>>51126188
Looks like it's going to kill the main timeline tv franchise.

And it will probably be considered a mercy killing.
>>
>>51126188
I'm pretty confident it will be good because Bryan Fuller left the project. I really liked Pushing Daisies and the man can write some ok episodes but his plots are a fucking mess.
>>
>>51125046

Okay, there's not a huge divide between the capabilities of the classes, and in general, I'd say Tactical is "best" for the DPS boost from Attack Pattern Alpha, and the craziness of Go Down Fighting (you likely won't have that yet).

Engineers are not only decent ground combatants (with their turrets and other abilities), but in space they get subsystem energy for days thanks to EPS Power Transfer, which helps their survivability and their DPS.

Science Captains get Science Fleet (which boosts their energy drain abilities, and when really stacking stuff can be crazy awesome - stripping enemy shields away with tachyon beams, draining their subsystem power with Energy Siphon, Plasmonic Leech, or polaron weapons - or all three when you're feeling frisky). Scattering Field helps survivability a little bit, by lowering energy damage, but you need to have higher Auxiliary system power to make the best use of it (and actually, that goes for all science bridge officer abilities and heals). The crown jewel though is Photonic Fleet. Photonic Fleet summons temporary hologram starships that help take the threat (aggro) off of you, can be summoned fairly frequently, and does a decent stack of DPS too. And it can be summoned while Fleet Support/Nimbus Pirate Distress Call/Delta Reinforcements is active (thanks to sharing an entirely different cooldown).

Overall, you'll be doing your own healing, since the game isn't really geared to the DPS/Tank/Healer paradigm that other MMOs are - Tactical captains can (and should) make use of heals to keep in the fight, and can and should use science abilities to make their ship more effective. There's nothing quite like locking enemies into gravity wells and shattering them with cannon scatter volley/torpedo spread.

As far as the DPS race is concerned, Tactical captains can make the most out of weapons. Attack Pattern Alpha/Go Down Fighting really is that strong.
>>
>>51127042

Ultimately though, how you build your character and your selection of ship is more important than your career choice, since your career choice will only determine the extremes of performance (though, I should caution that in "inexperienced" hands, a Tactical Captain will be more impressive than the other two for DPS, and Engineers will seem like invincible titans once they get Miracle Worker - one of the best heals in the game). Science is in some ways the hardest to play, because you actually need to know what you're building toward and what you're doing.

My highest DPS captain is my Science main, however.

I highly, highly recommend looking at what subsystem power actually does, but here's a crash course:

Subsystem power defaults to "Balanced" and sets everything at 50 (40 for ships with singularity cores).

- Weapon Power directly relates to damage. Setting this to 100 is not only akin to doing double damage, but your energy weapons "drain" weapon power when they fire, causing your next shots to do less damage. The higher you can get this, the higher your DPS will be with energy weapons.

- Shield Power affects your shield regeneration, and your shield hardness, and neither of them is particularly great from a power settings standpoint, since there are skills that affect them more (and of the two, the shield regeneration skill is better).

- Engine Power directly affects (surprise!) your ship's speed. 50 means that it uses your ship's base speed, and every point above or below that modifies it by +/- 2%, so that at 0 you'd be adrift, and at 100 it would be double speed. It also affects your ship's defense stat, which is basically evasion for starships (and shots evaded = no damage taken, which is super important for escorts with their fragile hulls).
>>
>>51127042
>>51127190
Alright, might stick with the Romulan Science person then. Or would a klingon science person be better? I dont really feel like playing Federation at the moment.
>>
File: I.K.S. Killing Fist - DIIIIVE!.jpg (4MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
I.K.S. Killing Fist - DIIIIVE!.jpg
4MB, 6830x3840px
>>51127190

- Auxiliary Power is my favorite, but that's because I like space magic. It improves science magnitude (i.e., how powerful an ability is, so at 100 power a healing science power will be twice as effective as it would be at 50 power), and how long science powers last. There's also a couple of traits and equipment that scale using Auxiliary power, and since Science's big guns, Destabilizing Resonance Beam, and Gravity Well are powered by Auxiliary power... You can see why having this is attractive.

At low levels though, I would set your Weapon power to 90-100, and set your Engine and Auxiliary power as high as you can (favoring Engine power because of the speed and defense boosts). In the early ships, you won't have much healing, and I find Tachyon Beam I is actually more effective in a fight than Science Team I, but your mileage may vary.

A final note: You should avail yourself of the Bridge Officer Trainer (barracks on Q'nos, below Admiral Quinn, Medicine Woman's office on ESD, and tucked away near Admiral Kererak's office on New Romulus). Your bridge officers will often come with powers you don't want or need (and you should promote them - little button at the bottom of their Status page so they can use higher level powers as you level).

>>51127251

Romulans are certainly fun, but they have a very limited number of starships, though the Advanced Research Science Vessel [T6] has alleviated their lack of science starships a tiny amount.

KDF actually has more science ships than the Romulans, but they're still hurting for science (and again, the cross faction ARSV [T6] has helped some). You wouldn't be ineffective as science, but if you're not going to be buying C-Store science ships, you're essentially limited to three ship class types as a KDF officer:

- Cruisers/Battlecruisers, slow but powerful
- Raptors, functionally equivalent of Federation escorts
- Birds of Prey, which are battle cloaking little shits held together with gum and prayer
>>
File: IMG_0864.jpg (238KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0864.jpg
238KB, 1080x1080px
>>51127251
The best advice I can give you is to plan out your characters specialisations for whatever play style you want to pursue. Otherwise you'll end up having to respec when you reach those fast t6 ships.
>>
>>51127251
>>51127349

BoPs, which have all universal bridge seating and the marauder flanking bonus (+x% damage when attacking the rear quarter), also have such fragile hulls they break apart if you look at them sternly, which is why they have battle cloaks.

The Delta Arc was hell in the Hegh'ta BoP.

That being said, you shouldn't feel like Science must be in a science ship. It's sometimes more fun to find a cruiser or escort that has enough science stations (Lt. Commander for me) to give you a Destabilizing Resonance Beam or Gravity Well and go to town. That Vengeance in my screen shots is my main - who is Science through and through. And also does more DPS than my klingon (though that will change once I finally get their gear to be on par with each other).

Also, listen to >>51127362, and while I don't generally advocate going to Reddit, the STObuilds subreddit really does have good advice (look up in particular budget builds).
>>
>>51127251

If you're dead set on playing a non-Federation character (which is totally fine), and more specifically a Romulan captain, I recommend this ship once you have access to it:

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27nom_Guardian_Warbird

The reason for my recommendation is that she has enough tactical abilities to keep your DPS up, enough engineering to keep you alive, and an excess of science. She's also the only free science ship (complete with Sensor Analysis, one of the big attractions of science ships) that the Romulans get access to. Like all science ships, she has a high shield multiplier, which means higher shield HP. The other two freebie ships at that rank only have Lt. Science, but don't disregard them.

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27apax_Advanced_Warbird
>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ha%27feh_Assault_Warbird

The Ha'apax has a lot of engineering potential, and Emergency Power to Weapons is great. She also has 9k more hull than the Ha'feh, and 10k more than the Ha'nom and a 4/4 weapon layout because she's basically a battle cloaking cruiser.

The Ha'feh is an escort (a really big one), and she's got a nasty suite of tactical options, and she'll be really maneuverable - but fragile. And I mean that. I didn't always have C-Store ships, so I flew the free ones for a while (most of my ships are either event ships or ones I've scraped zen together to get). The Ha'feh is potentially powerful, but you're going to get stung a lot flying her until you can get her properly kitted out.

Romulans can be somewhat frustrating to play in the end-game because of the enemy HP bloat, and since they have less system power to play with, they can't make as many mistakes. Battle cloak will help, but it can get you killed too because for a brief window, you're not fully cloaked and your shields are down.

If you decide to stick with Romulans, you'll get a chance to join either the KDF or the Federation (at around level 10ish). That's up to you, really.
>>
>>51127608

Don't disregard your faction choice. It affects some of the missions you'll get (not a big deal), some character customization, what species you can get as bridge officers, and gives you limited access to T4 and below starships of the faction you chose.

It also restricts you to fleets for one faction or the other. And I do recommend joining a fleet at some point. Hell, if you go Federation, I'd be willing to extend an invitation to mine - but mine is small and doesn't have the goodies that the /v/ fleet has unlocked. There's only really me and brother in law active in the fleet right now.

But I can make your life easier by crafting you some gear (free of charge - I have too many crafting materials as it is).

I am @furysproduct, in case you feel like you want or need the help.
>>
>>51127677

>me and brother

*and my brother in law, rather.
>>
Tzenkethi ships. English blog up soonish.
http://www.arcgames.com/de/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10347823-die-schiffe-der-tzenkethi
>>
>>51128371

interesting that they'd put the German blog up first
>>
>>51127677
Sorry but i am the kind of guy who prefers "villainous" factions and "underdog" factions. Federation has over 70% of the playerbase and are just going to show me more of the same stuff i see in the shows, I'd rather get a better chance to explore some Klingon and/or Romulan stuff since less episodes focus on them in the shows.
>>
>>51128825
It happens somewhat often.
English seems to have higher res images.
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10341023-designing-the-tzenkethi-starships
>>
>>51127042
There still does appear to be threat generation mechanics. Is tanking relegated to engineers or is it possible for science/tac to give it a go?
>>
>>51129016

Engineers don't have a particular monopoly on tanking. They do have Miracle Worker though, which helps.

There's a couple of ways to get threat, and one of them is building to get Threatening Stance III with the +300% threat upgrade. You also want to get +Threat consoles (and science/science heavy ships are ironically the best at this because they have more science console slots for the plasma explosion consoles that do +Threat),

The Strategist specialization post level 50 is also very good for managing Threat, since it gives you bonuses to healing for threatening (among other goodies).

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Weapon_Signature_Nullifiers_and_Amplifiers
>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Captain_Specialization/Strategist_skills

>>51128845

I understand. I'm an altaholic, so I have alts from every faction, and every career. However, Federation side has more customization, more ships, and more science ships which feeds the Admiralty campaign grind. Ultimately my choice to focus on Fed has been because of the account wide unlocks that benefit more of my characters, which in turn benefits my account as I grind for dilithium which I turn into zen to continue the Great Material Continuum.

I should make a ferengi one of these days...
>>
>>51125830
You'd be surprised.

>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer
>This made the machine impervious to small arms fire and resistant to explosives
>three external explosions and more than 200 rounds of ammunition fired at the bulldozer had no effect on it.

If industrial equipment repurposed by someone sufficiently pissed off can be proof against all but dedicated military weapons, even in the same era, it's not too hard to imagine that the fuckhueg Narada would be equivalent of the Bulldozer against, say, the Continental Army

[Spoiler]then STO ruined it by saying "nah lol it was Borg tech"[/spoiler]
>>
>>51130244

STO didn't do that, that was the comic that explained the backstory of 2009.

>http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown
>>
>>51130244

As interesting as that story is, I'm going to have to disagree with your analogy.

First of all, a more appropriate one would be a modern tanker ship retrofitted with modern missiles and guns vs, HMS Dreadnought and the rest of the Royal Navy, since there's a similar time gap between then and now as there is between the Narada and the JJprise (about 100 years, since the Narada disappears in 2387, and the original timeline 1701 is destroyed in 2285 - moreover, the JJprise is more advanced than the refitted Enterprise, since she's based on more advanced tech recovered from the Narada's battle with the U.S.S. Kelvin).

And, even with your analogy, the Continental Army still has cannons capable of knocking fortress walls down, which the police in Granby didn't have. The power mismatch isn't quite as severe as you might think.
>>
File: 1473026842070.png (513KB, 650x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1473026842070.png
513KB, 650x1600px
Bump.
>>
>>51126691
That's actually a pretty good point. Fuller wrote great episodes but he was also fairly involved with Voyager's storyline and that's rather telling.
>>
File: 1434027138861.jpg (432KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1434027138861.jpg
432KB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>51128825
Germans make up a fairly large portion of the playerbase.
>>
>>51135585
Are these FASA designs? The rear one has the trait of a weirdly distorted secondary hull that they had a lot of going on.
>>
>>51135631

I did not know that.
>>
File: 1475682712120.jpg (350KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475682712120.jpg
350KB, 1024x768px
>>51135892
I have no idea. Saved the pic from here years back just because I liked the designs until I saw them from the side holy shit it's like one of those "9000 hours in character creation" memes.
>>
>>51135585
Might just be my shit taste, but those saucers are sexy as fuck.
>>
>>51136404
I quite like them. But I think it's neat in that it suggests that the saucer design is a modular one at heart, why it's shared across so many designs is chunks of it can simply be removed or added to in construction, for ships that don't need all the facilities or for ships to expand upon the facilities that are there.
>>
>>51133772
Look at Hannibal, everyone loves mads and all the back and forth and dialogue, but the plot is just a neverending cascade of "nuh uh actually it was a plan within a plan".
>>
>>51136404
They seem to want to be the wedge shape of later ships in the setting like the Intrepid and Prometheus class. But the look of those ships themselves are a bit derp to me DESU.
>>
>>51140401
Yeah, bizarrely enough, Hannibal's strenght is the food, not the story.
>>
>>51135585
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think one of those ships made an appearance in Starfleet Command 2, or maybe Legacy.
>>
File: 97675_7.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
97675_7.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
>>51145389
You may be correct, SFC took other ship models from the FASA range even though the system is Star Fleet Battles based. And if not they may have been modded in.
>>
>>51145389
There was definitely a similar ship in Klingon academy. It was a frigate.
>>
Season 12 soon fellow captains!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10348243
>>
>>51149023

So, what you're saying is I need to make a grey alien captain, and my BOFFs should be Mulder, Scully, and Skinner?

>http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10203793-lukari-community-ship-voting

I WANT TO BELIEVE.
>>
>>51149023
I can't wait to be moderately dissapointed
>>
>>51149023
>anniversary promo ship is that shitty vote design
What little interest I had is already gone.
>>
>>51148784
The Okinawa class?
>>
>>51149275
It's a fucking triangle
>>
File: 1332808084233.gif (403KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1332808084233.gif
403KB, 640x360px
>>51149023
>http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10203793-lukari-community-ship-voting

>the lukari ship is a science vessel

FUCK YES, I KNEW IT WOULD BE!
>>
>>51152901
It's a fucking triangle.
>>
>>51152851

Did you ever watch the X-Files?
>>
>>51089989
>Miranda on patrol
>3 crewmembers, all germran born, blown out of an airlock due to malfunction
>all hans lost
>>
>>51154634
not >>51152851 but I watched the hell outta the x-files as a kid to a young teen
>>
>>51154831
>Miranda on patrol
>transported back in time
>must stop time travellers from changing ancient Chinese history
>time travellers destroy ancient Beijing
>all Han lost
>>
>>51155767
>Miranda on patrol around DQ Dyson Sphere
>Away team on diplomatic mission to local powers gets caught by Vidiians
>Return to Miranda a week later, having had to work the LCARS controls on their shuttle with arm stumps
>All hands lost
>>
>>51145389
You're right about legacy, they use that as a fed destroyer in the TMP era, Akula class. Kind of confusing since iirc it shares the name with the other fed destroyer in sfc, the one with the nacelles attached directly to the saucer.
>>
>>51155801

>Miranda on patrol
>Anomalous singularity pulls ship into another universe!
>Giant artificial moon
>Some kind of small-scale battle going on
>Enormous crater fires green beam
>Miranda comes apart like wet tissue paper
>Shrapnel rains down toward surface
>Modified tramp freighter just happens to fly into this cloud of debris
>All Han lost
>>
File: 8u9d782mb69y.png (622KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
8u9d782mb69y.png
622KB, 1024x576px
Oh baby...

Time to place your bets on how it's going to be obtained!
R&D promo here.
>>
>>51158774
.005% lockbox drop chance from the R&D promo, here.
>>
>>51158774
.005% drop from c-store consumables.
>>
>>51158774
Hot damn, I'm gonna need some money.

What's the fastest to grind Energy Credits these days?
>>
File: costanza.gif (1MB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
costanza.gif
1MB, 264x264px
>>51158883
>>51159017

>lockbox items that are character based
>>
>>51159990
I've never seen a company as obsessed with items with pitiful drop rates as Cryptic, so yes, I think it could happen.
>>
>>51160015

it was more my reaction to PWE/Cryptic doing character unlocks for shit I have to pay for. like the new Mirror uniforms. PUT IT IN THE ZEN STORE YOU GREEDY FUCKS
>>
>>51160031
Oh, yes. They can be real assholes with costumes and the like.
>>
>>51130869
It depends on which Time periods though, If you put some then current weapons on the Titanic it could definitely crush the wooden sail ships from 100 years before it. Hell it probably wouldn't even need the guns, considering its size and engine it could just ram them.
>>
>>51159067
Do the tour de galaxy as often as you can, then go do some foundry mission where you fight against opponents in space and really nothing else, gather all the loot and then drop it at the nearest vendor for at least 500K credits.
Also one way is to make tier 1 AP beamers on R&D tab and then sell them on the exchange.
Just remember to check the relative pricing for not just the beamer but also its weapon modifications.
>>
File: tumblr_nekdfgKETr1tctm6do1_1280.jpg (191KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nekdfgKETr1tctm6do1_1280.jpg
191KB, 768x576px
>>51160031
>PUT IT IN THE ZEN STORE YOU GREEDY FUCKS
Sorry, anon but you can't run servers and pay employees on snark. Because if they could they would have an ending source of it just from their player base like you anon.
>>
>>51158774
The sacrifice of your first born child to Cryptic here.
>>
>>51158774
Lobi store ship.
For 900 lobi.
>>
>>51158774

As some of the other anons in this thread have stated, either an R&D promo, or as a lobi ship.

I will be extremely surprised if it's on the C-Store or obtainable some other way.
>>
>>51163453
How does on go about aquiring Lobi? I've basically ignored Ferengi vendors in STO since day I came accross "WELCOME TO DROZANA"
>>
>>51164693

Basically you buy keys and open lockboxes, or you buy R&D boxes and open those. Lobi is essentially the "consolation prize" - and it is comparatively expensive to buying ships off of the C-Store.
>>
>>51164693
What this guy said >>51164715

You get maybe 4 or 5 lobi per opened box and the ships in lobi store cost up to 900 lobi.
And they are character purchases, not account unlocks like zen ships.
>>
>>51164715
>>51164754
Are they on the Exchange?
>>
>>51164777
I think some of them are, but im not certain about all of them.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Lobi_Crystal_Consortium
>>
>>51164777

Lobi isn't, but some of the Lobi ships are.

Which is entirely dependent on someone getting the Lobi to buy a Lobi ship, and then deciding to put it up for sale on the Exchange.

Some ships, like the TOS ships, are so expensive that you probable won't see them on the Exchange.
>>
>>51165179
What's considered "expensive" when it comes to lobi?
>>
File: Temporal ships STO.jpg (199KB, 879x821px) Image search: [Google]
Temporal ships STO.jpg
199KB, 879x821px
>>51165471
Anything and all over 10 or 20, because you still get only like 4 lobi per opened lockbox/R&D box and so you would have to waste a small fortune on keys or boxes if you wanted anything that costs 200 or the whopping 900 lobi.

>>51165179
TOS ships on the exchange? But those things are zen store ships.
Unless you were talking about the T6 connie and the klink and rom versions of that ship.
>>
>>51161384
Ah yes, the Zen store, where everything is completely free. None of the zen you buy with real money actually goes to Cryptic. Of course, how retarded is anon to think that making something purchasable by microtransactions would ever support the company?
>>
>>51165533

I'm talking about the T6 Connie and the other ships.

The Temporal Ships are TOS inspired ships, but never actually appeared in TOS.

>>51165471

10 keys costs a little under $12 USD. Each box nets on average 4-5 Lobi, but lets be generous and say each box nets you 10.

900/10 is 90. You'd need 90 boxes to get a 900 Lobi ship. Since you get 10 keys from each master key bundle, you need 9 of those.

9*$12 = $108. That's what your one ship, claimable only by a single character cost. And that's being generous. If you dismiss the ship, it's lost forever (until you can afford to buy it).

For $12 more you could get the Cross Faction Flagship Bundle which has 9 ships, three for each faction, claimable by all your characters of the appropriate faction on the account.

If you meant "what would a crazy expensive R&D promotion ship cost in Lobi", nothing. Because you can't trade Lobi. Promotion ships like the T6 TOS ships are easily a billion ec+potentially hundred of keys.
>>
>>51164715
>>51164754
>character purchases
>that price
>>
>when you realise the Deep Space Science ships are literally just the Axiom from Wall-E
>>
Sup /stg/

Outsider here, looking for more about Star Fleet Battles

I own the captians basic set, but does anyone have any good links to pdf shares or resources? Nothing in the OP...
>>
>>51166264
>coming to /stg/ for anything apart from STO
The last person to do that got redirected to /bbg/, go figure.
>>
>>51166264
The SFB .pdf repositories get blasted pretty regularly, I don't know if we have a current one, though there's certainly been fairly complete selections up at points.
>>
File: U.S.S. Agamemnon Blue Sun Flyby.jpg (4MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
U.S.S. Agamemnon Blue Sun Flyby.jpg
4MB, 6830x3840px
>>51166264

I wish I had something for you, but beyond Starfleet Command, I never got into SFB. A quick google search reveals this:

>http://www.starfleetgames.com/starfleetbattles.shtml

Which may have something of worth, but most of it appears to cost money.

>>51166338

And I rather wish they wouldn't do that. I know I'm as guilty of STO posting as everyone else (maybe more so) but turning people away rather than saying "I don't know" isn't the precedent we should set for /stg/.
>>
>>51166585
True, but what else can be done?
Remain silent until thread is at 10th page and then change the subject?
Have three posters say "i dont know" and then have the anon asking say "Gee, thank's a lot"?
Or even attempt to help and direct to folks who actually might know something about that stuff.
>>
>>51166632
>what else can be done?
Rename these threads /STO General/
>>
>>51166338
But 2 people answered his question. See >>51119268 and >>51119401.

Nor would i expect /bgg/ to have a better answer for him.
>>
>>51166338
>>51166558
>>51166585

Cheers.

I'll just be lurking here a while incase another SFB player turns up!
>>
File: screenshot_2016-09-08-22-30-54.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2016-09-08-22-30-54.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Every day I've logged on recently I keep getting New Romulus daily missions popping up even when I'm not on New Romulus.
Anyone know how to stop them?
TOS Starfleet character if that makes any difference.
>>
>>51166786
No clue, had some similar shit happen to my regular feddie character since last november or december.
>>
>>51166786

There's an option for "auto-hailing" missions. Turn it off. This does mean though that when you complete a mission, it won't auto-hail and let you pick your reward, F.Y.I.

Nice battlecruiser
>>
This raises a good question, why do Star Trek's tt iterations lack a decent playerbase. I've only ever played a single session of an LUG campaign because my group became disinterested (we ended up playing Dark Heresy, instead.) Other than that my local hobbyshop has an X-Wing/Attack Wing night on fridays, but that is the length and breadth of tt Star Trek I've encountered.

What makes something like Rogue Trader or Eclipse phase more appealing as a system for exploring the galaxy than a setting that is literally all about space exploration?
>>
>>51166877

Well, in my experience, my group was never as into Trek as I was, so that's a big part of it. But, in nor particular order:

- There's not a lot of material for non-Starfleet characters
- There's not a lot of material for what life is like for civilians, so its hard to visualize who your character is or might have been before joining Starfleet
- Non-human characters aside from vulcans, klingons, bajorans, cardassians, and romulans have very little material to work with
- Hierarchy is problem, in that players tend to dislike taking orders from fellow players, and there's always that pesky Starfleet Command telling them where to go and what to do when they get there
- A lot of Trek technology is full of handwavium, and this rubs people the wrong way. Replicators make resources trivial, if you're playing in that era, holodecks function and malfunction inconsistently between episodes, etc.
- Resource management is effectively dead if replicators exist, and even then its fairly trivial when you have a starship with an armory full of phasers
- A lot of science fiction RPGs have this problem where they're not actually built to accommodate exploration - there needs to be a way to generate life forms and star systems in a semi-believable manner without it being so cumbersome the GM never uses it

And that's just some thoughts off the top of my head. I just started a Star Frontiers campaign, and frankly, it's got simultaneously more and less to work with because:

a.) players don't have to worry about 50 years of alpha or beta canon
b.) there's enough detail to get a sense for the setting without it dictating to the players or GM
b.) there's enough fan made content that you can choose what is or isn't in your particular Star Frontiers game

Trek, because of the 50 years of material, has a lot of stuff you can use, but some people will object strenuously to some (or all) of the material you choose to use.
>>
>>51167216
>there needs to be a way to generate life forms and star systems in a semi-believable manner without it being so cumbersome the GM never uses it

How would this sound like?
/stf/ makes a series of roll lists which dictate what sorta life form, what tech level, what sorta culture (war like, peaceful, artistic, pleasure seeking) and what sorta environment they are living in, similar to those 40K charts of "create your own guardsmen army" or "Create your own space marine chapter".

What do you guys think?
>>
>>51167345
Sounds good. So, the first chart should be, what, Planetary Environment?
1. Temperate (Earth-Like)
2. Desert
3. Water World
4. Hothouse World (rainforests, basically)
5. Ice World
6. Chthonian World (lava oceans)
7. Airless World
8. Gas Giant
9. Void Life
10. Extreme Environmental Variation (roll twice and combine)
>>
>>51167684
Im gonna continue your work with what sorta life form.
1, Aquatic
2, Avian
3, Primate
4, Molluscoid (slug people and other boneless beings)
5, Ursanoid (space bear)
6, Exosceletals (Space crabs, lobsters and other non insect exosceletal beings)
7, Insectoids (From bee people to spider men and women)
8, Gaseous
9, Energy based life-form
10, Technoid (robot, android or lifeform that is born mainly organic but during its life goes through processes that remove organic matter and replace it with technological pieces)

How would those sound like?
>>
>>51167797
Insufficently broad in a couple of areas; 'Ursanoid' doesn't need its own category, I'd fold it and primate into a general 'mammal' or 'land vertebrate' category. Fold Exoskeletal and Insectoid into a single Insectoid/Crustacean class, and use the two free slots for a couple more oddities. Plant-based and a 'reroll twice and combine' option. Like so.
1. Aquatic
2. Avian
3. Mammalian
4. Molluscoid
5. Insectoid
6. Plant-life/Sessile
7. Fluidic (gases and liquids)
8. Energy beings
9. Technological
10. Hybridized (reroll twice and combine)
>>
>>51167345
>>51167684
>>51167797
>>51167797

On one hand, I do like the idea of automating Strange New World Generation - on the other hand, this would them being picked instead of rolled, unless you want to try and think up some reason for a Water World to have space bears, or for a Desert World to be populated by Not!Delphine; this is on top of the work you'd need to come up with a Trek-ish plot based on the world.
>>
>>51167949
The way I see it, half the fun would be trying to think of reasons for a desert world to be dominated by aquatic life. I can think of three off-hand, in fact:
1. Sand sharks, water-dwellers in the distant evolutionary past but now adapted to become burrowers;
2. Vast underground oceans invisible from the surface;
3. Oases precariously maintained by technological means by their intelligent inhabitants.
All of which are more interesting than finding ocean-dwellers on an ocean world exactly as you'd expect, I think.
>>
>>51167797
Next should be tech-level, right?

1, Primeval (animal level, no tools of any sort to begin with
2, Sentient (Creates tools to create more tools, possibly has created fire already if environment permits)
3, Neolithic-stone age (creates multitudes of stone tools with high skill, first form of a spoken language formed and signs of early agriculture)
4, Bronze age (First civilizations have been formed, most of the produce comes from agrarian works, early metallurgy)
5, Iron age (advanced road systems forming, inter continental trade routes, iron workings and mostly feudal kingdoms with some empires and republics mixed in)
6, Machine age (species is building machines to increase its own labor capacity, early steel production started, capable of moving from continent to continent, black powder weapons or similar chemical explosives discovered)
7, Industrial age (First steam engines, mass moving from rural areas to large population centers, factories are being built more than ever before)
8, Atomic era (Race has discovered the art of splitting atom, non avian/insectoid races have discovered flight by now)
9, Early space age (First artificial satellites have been placed in orbit by this race)
10, Warp capable

Again, i appreciate ideas and revisions from others.

>>51167941
Like this, great ideas man.

>>51167949
Coming up with reasons for why you have iron age robots waging battles on a series of asteroids is the best sorta exploration!
>>
>>51168087
I'd put in an 'anachronistic' option, for races that have e.g. used psychic teleportation to stick things in orbit while still generally medieval, or remain totally ignorant of mass-production even while expert artisans assemble supercomputers by hand.
>>
>>51168155
Then, should we roll sentient and neolithic together or would that be too big of a gap?
Or what if we just had 11 options on that one, after all, there is no rule that there should be just 10 options on these lists.
>>
>>51168194
I personally would get rid of primeval, since I've been thinking of this as more a civilization-generator than just a planet generator; just animals are boring, getting shot at by natives is where the fun is at.
>>
>>51166877
First off; because it's not the '90s with Star Trek constantly fresh and in people's minds.
The official RPGs themselves are only middling tier for most in terms of accessibility/quality. There's decent reasons Lasers&Feelings is probably the most recommended game system for Star Trek, such as it being very, very simple.

Also because very few people actually have any idea how to run or even play a Star Trek style adventure. A lot of gamers simply don't get how the setting works or if they do, how to make interesting games within that when players are usually used to simple murderhobo dungeoncrawlers, which are easy to fluff up and don't require much thought in terms of character or planning. Having restrictions like combat being a bad thing doesn't exactly integrate well with the average group.

And on top of that it's fairly hard to get people who are actually into the setting but won't constantly argue over vagaries of fluff. GMs have to put a lot of effort into why players can't simply do X thing, like beam all the boarding parties into space or barrage entire planets into submission even if they are Klingons.

The wargame stuff has been blighted by either an exceedingly expensive licence (putting it out of reach of miniatures producers) or saddled with being Star Fleet Battles, who blagged an in-perpetuity licence in the late '70s and then drove off in their own direction as for developing a setting of perpetual warfare in Star Trek, whilst following stuff like FASA's line died by the time the '90s arrived.
>>
>>51168277
Yeah, that sounds reasonable.
So we would have the different tech levels and that anarchonistic one.
Should it work in "roll twice and mix the two that come up together to form a unique system where you have a small elite who live significantly better than the peons"?
>>
>>51167345

I think you should look at the generation tables from Traveller as a starting point.

Good planet/system/indiginous life generation there, just fudge stats your own way
>>
>>51168361
Again, if it were me, I'd have 'anachronistic' and 'stratified' as you're describing be two separate things. So a system where the starship-having elites lord it over dirt-grubbing peons is different from one where a given field of technology is just bafflingly over/under-developed.
>>
>>51168277
>just animals are boring, getting shot at by natives is where the fun is at.
>not wanting to introduce away teams to carnivorous fungi or naturally occurring antimatter containment crystals.

At that rate you'll even have redshirts coming back alive.
>>
>>51168087
I'd probably revises this to societal development instead of technological, so something like:

>Primeval [No prime direct violations for contact]
>Sentient
>Tribal/Hunter-gatherer
>Agricultural
>Early civilisation
>Medieval
>Preindustrial
>Industrial
>Postindustrial [discovery of flight]
>Space Age
>Interplanetary [Lukari are here, save for experimental warp capability]
>Interstellar [Warp Capable, usually; first contact now permitted]
>Colonial [United Earth & Contemporaries]
>Postcolonial [Coalition of Planets/Early UFP, early RSE]
>Modern

The problem is that you'll mostly be rolling pre-warp civilisations which are always going to have Prime Directive issues - probably getting tiring after a while. Plus, there's the fact that after warp capability everyone heads off in different directions (contrast the UFP with, say, Orions) so there's no solid definitions for stages after there; I've only put a few vague ones up there off the top of my head.
>>
>>51168361
>>51168407
Mixing tech levels isn't as much of an issue as you might think - we still have some of world in Space Age, most of it somewhere after Industrial, and parts still in tribal societies
>>
>>51168809
True, but I'd argue there's a meaningful difference between 'large parts of the world are poor' and 'the normal process of technological development is out of whack'.
Although perhaps a 1d6 roll for distribution of technology would be appropriate, 1 being 'restricted to elites,' 6 being 'ubiquitous and evenly distributed'. Earth would be about a 3.

Anyway, a tentative predominant government type listing (not necessarily indicating a one world government, just whichever is most dominant):
1. Feudal: hereditary positions and complex chains of personal loyalty
2. Monarchy/Empire: A single hereditary leader with absolute power
3. Oligarchy: A small group of powerful individuals
4. Plutocracy: political power openly bought and sold
5. Democracy: The people choose their leaders
6. Fascism: Bureaucratic control of every aspect of life
7. Technocracy: Rule by scientists and engineers
8. Communism: Everything communally owned and communally controlled, supposedly
9. Anarchism: The people need no hierarchy to self-organize
10. Hybrid system: re-roll twice and combine
11: Cold War! re-roll d10 times; that many ideologies compete for control of the world in every aspect of life, from the military to the media.
Perhaps a d6 roll would be appropriate here as well, for government effectiveness; 1 being 'hopelessly corrupt and self-serving' and 6 being 'near utopia'.
>>
I suggest that someonewrites this all up before it's forgotten.
>>
File: picard-facepalm.jpg (23KB, 921x606px) Image search: [Google]
picard-facepalm.jpg
23KB, 921x606px
>TFW /stg/ has thought out a more detailed and better planetary making system than any Trek that has 'Gone Before' in like 3 hours.
If this really is the case, then Star Trek rpg design must have really fostered a special kind of autistic Star Trek knuckle dragger geek that couldn't into game making. WHY IS THIS?!
I've played Star Wars stuff that better put together than all the Trek rpg stuff put together.
>>
File: I know your anger.jpg (94KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
I know your anger.jpg
94KB, 640x481px
>>51170774
I second this.

>>51170798
I feel your pain anon.
>>
>>51168745
This sounds good to me, although i think we could also add one more in there, or two.

>Post catastrophe society
If you have rolled this, then you must roll once more to see where what level it fell from (industrial, primeval, space age, whatever) and then go for another optional list that details methods of mass destruction/fall

1,Volcanic eruption
2,Extinction level asteroid collision
3,Purification by nearby warp capable alien race/invasion by said race
4,Total nuclear exchange between planetary super powers
5,Destruction caused by other species terraforming of the planet
6,Stray Federation/Klingon photon torpedo (toss a coin for this one, may be added for extra drama)
7,Gamma ray burst from nearby black hole
8,Space born entity attack
9,Planet used as dumping ground by another warp capable race for their highly toxic and radioactive waste

More ideas welcome.
>>
>>51171148
>9,Planet used as dumping ground by another warp capable race for their highly toxic and radioactive waste
FUCKING MALON GET OUT REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51171148
Shit, got one more for this list.

10,post-General order 24 world (planet deemed by Federation to be too dangerous to be allowed to exist, General order 24 executed, all life reportedly destroyed)
>>
>>51170774
On it.
>>
>>51170774
>>51171836
Right, here you go.
http://pastebin.com/hhpkEvJU
>>
>>51171979
Otherwise good but could you number the options on the "alternative civilization list"?
>>
File: tumblr_msx86gL4Bp1rzu2xzo1_1280.jpg (144KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msx86gL4Bp1rzu2xzo1_1280.jpg
144KB, 1280x800px
Ok, here's an idea hook for a possible Star Trek rpg game. Your band of misfits are all Star Fleet rejects, mercs, non-conforming UFP rules aliens, and general outcasts. You are helped by rogue elements in the UFP and other space empires for their own reasons. You steal/borrow the phase-cloak devices from Star Fleet fight your way to a prototype ship. And install the thing into the ship and get away scott free. Thus begins the adventures of the good ship, 'FUCK U ALL' we do like we please.
Cue ' Firefly' intro
>>
>>51168745
>Lukari

So, so much better than those fucking green foetal alcohol syndrome turds they were trying to push in the Breen campaign.

Holy shit they were annoying.
>>
>>51172247
Yeah the...
The uhh...
The...
FUCK! The neutrals of space, i forgot their real name, but that's what they are! A bunch of dirty neutrals!
>>
>>51172176
>a prototype ship

Was perfect up till then. Whilst I have no beef against Blake's 7 I much prefer the beat up heap of scrap look of Firefly.

Maybe they raided the Starfleet junk yard and came out with a bolted together monstrosity.

It's mostly an ancient Daedalus class except for fucked up shit like one of the nacelles being taken from a Nova. And the spherical prow being replaced by the saucer section of an Oberth class. The insides of the ship being equally messed up.

Their mission? To just keep one system ahead of the frontier when possible and fly under the radar when the promise of work makes them have to travel UFP space.
>>
>>51172603
Well, to perfectly honest UFP security is so limp wristed at times that if they believe it's locked down well. They totally leave themselves open most of the time for stupid shit to happen like people being able to make off with any god damn ship they want if plot says so. So in this instance I'm using that bullshit to my advantage in this story hook because the Feds really have their heads up their own ass most of the time when it comes to layered defenses and system security in general.
>>
>>51161384

lifetime fucking subscriber here who is willing to pay for shit, just not willing to pay for a CHANCE of getting shit in lockboxes on a per character basis.
>>
File: BFG-Ship-Customization2.jpg (253KB, 1249x676px) Image search: [Google]
BFG-Ship-Customization2.jpg
253KB, 1249x676px
>>51173483
See this is the bullshit that makes me not want to go anywhere near STO. That and the non-ship stuff in the game are ass for interacting and doing missions.
I just want a BFG:A for the Star Trek setting is that too much to ask?
>>
>>51172830
It does seem like in a society where security can literally be beamed anywhere within a facility that heists should be impossible.
>>
>>51174740

I mostly use STO as a roleplaying device these days. I play occasionally.
>>
>>51174773
Well, it does seem that way but the UFP assumes that they are so advanced and that stealing for the common person is unthinkable that they fall for the hubris that they are safe which they are not. Since two Borg attacks easily made it to the human homeworld with very little trouble. And that as long as you give them what they want to see they will fall for a fake out every time. Like what Riker did in that little war game they had. So a heist is possible if you are smart enough and if the guards are too lazy and stupid to actual check stuff with their own eyes at times.
>>
>>51174981

>check stuff with their own eyes
>same setting where no one on Voyager could identify anything without waving a tricorder in its general direction

Imagine what 24th century cell phones are like. And then imagine that every red (gold) shirt has one.

With that in mind, it's a wonder there aren't more successful heists.
>>
>>51175073
Dude, there were a ton of stealing in the Trek setting that worked as far as the plot needed them to. Only time I can think of where it failed is the lone adventures of Picard is a dick when you try to steal shit from his ship. All the other times where guys try to steal ships they were successful. I could go into it but I hope you can recall a few situations like that on your own. They aren't that hard to find.
>>
File: ACTA BATS 8.jpg (483KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ACTA BATS 8.jpg
483KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>51177876
So which race uses green candy bars with little engines at the tips for space ships?
>>
>>51172603
Being an NX fanboy, I'd always imagined a ship like that being a constitution class refit saucer and nacelles reconfigured with and excelsior warp drive into a rough NX shape, because the connie they found had a completely junked engineering hull.
>>
>>51179011
Even the Centaur class would be improved with a vaguely NX layout instead of using a Miranda rollbar. The Excelsior dish would look good with a big deflector on it.
>>
>get the Eaglemoss collection subscription
>NX-01 arrives with nacelle broken
>email Eaglemoss
>"I do apologize, I have requested a reship of the damaged item. Please allow up to 14 business days to receive. Thank you for your patience."

No questions, no ask for proof...wow. Not bad.
>>
>>51179660
Plus, the models themselves are REALLY nice. I've got a few, including the special edition NX-Refit/Columbia class. Shit's cash, and I'll totally be spending some of my whale money on it in STO.
>>
>>51133317
>this guy

Has anybody commissioned him to make Ezri yet?
>>
>>51179660
Okay so wait, according to the form, it's
>"Then, every month you will receive 2 new fantastic models of Star Trek Starships. You will automatically be charged only $19.95 per ship."

So does that mean every month they're charging me $40 or 20? Because that's pretty damn steep if it's the former for what look like pretty small ships and a magazine that has info I already know.
>>
>>51181152
20 per model, twice a month. They're about the size of your open hand, in a lot of cases, and they're really well made and painted. Very solid models.
>>
did his actor's mom drink when she was pregnant with him?
>>
File: paris.jpg (16KB, 347x422px) Image search: [Google]
paris.jpg
16KB, 347x422px
>>51181191
oops, forgot picture
>>
>>51181188
Side note: they are very well painted, in most cases, but you may need to repair a few of them. My Galor needed its bridge to be reattached. And I've had to repair the nacelles on a D7, Mogwai and Miranda(apt seeing as it was the Reliant).

Other than that I'm quite satisfied with the quality of the ships.
>>
>>51093072
>>51092003
>>51089513
Just discovered "Filk" earlier today, I'm amazed i could go so long without hearing it before.

Carmen Miranda's Ghosts is brilliant if you have the time to give it a listen. Dawson's Christians isn't necessarily ST related, but i can imagine a story of a ghost ship like this in TOS very easily.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaP6jbqNUfjCbqmuJyXql2nCxbaVTWrzx
>>
>>51178385
I think that's the Gorn
>>
>>51177876
>Those designs
I take it all back Cryptic, I'm sorry I doubted you.
>>
File: 1311797905815.jpg (175KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1311797905815.jpg
175KB, 800x600px
>>51182996
>>51178385
The main ship is a Gorn battlecruiser, the others are just cargo vessels built around those standardised tubes that Franz Joseph came up with in the original technical manual, sometimes double-stacked with a frame between them.
>>
>>
>>51184406
Without the little nacelles, I would be inclined to assume that those ships were from 1970's BSG.
>>
>>51184598
I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they stole/borrow the idea from to be perfectly frank.
>>
So ive been playing Romulans in STO and having a bit of fun and forcing myself through the ground missions and finally i have the ship i wanted, the D'Deridex. But it fucking sucks ass and i have no idea why. Statistically its stronger than my old ship and has more slots and shit but suddenly im finding myself taking 3-4 times as long to kill anything. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Do i need to use more torpedos and less beams? More non-cannon weapons so i dont have to be at an absurd angle to hit?
>>
File: IMG_1311.jpg (214KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1311.jpg
214KB, 1080x1080px
>>51186964
I had that happen with my first Romulan character. The best advice I can give you, outside of "ya really should'a picked the Ar'Kif, brih" is look up leveling builds for the D'Deridex. I used one at the time and found I had a marked improvement in combat performance. Odds are your looking for a build that fixes the Double-D's atrocious turn speed and gives you some AOE.

In more traditionally /tg/-related news. I'm going to my local hobbyshop's Attack Wing/X-wing night tonight to properly try out attack-wing. I will return with information aplenty.
>>
>>51181191
>>51181201
I don't get the Paris hate. I mean he wasn't good but I never felt he was particularly bad, or rather, as bad as some of the others.
>>
>>51188564
He was a poorly thought out character that was kind of irritating and got preferential treatment for nothing.

Also saying "not as bad as the others" is damming with very faint praise when we are talking about Voyager
>>
>>51188733
Not really meant as praise, so much as indifference.
>>
>>51188763
Disgust, perhaps?
>>
File: tfw.png (482KB, 433x624px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
482KB, 433x624px
>>51172247
>>51172322
THIS this this this this oh my fucking god this

Why the hell do the Deferi even exist? They're literally just Cryptic's DMPCs at this point. Like, they suddenly just pop up halfway through the Cardie arc like
>Oh hey these guys are a local new race just starting to colonise stuff
then suddenly
>Oh yeah by the way they're somehow enough of a major power to be invited to a Borg conference alongside the Feds, Klingons, Gorn and Cardies
>pic related
>he refuses to help because "muh balance", which is basically the same as how the UFP leaves entire worlds to die because "muh prime directive", and I kek a little at the schadenfreude
>notasplanned.png, he fucks off, all is good
>"oh wait the breen are attacking us!!1!"
>again, apparently these unimportant shits are important enough to warrant Captain (You) to be sent to fuck up whoever's harassing them
>"oh wait guys SYKE we have something super important and historical we're actually relevant after all!"
>pic related again
>finish arc but go back for dil farming
>while fucking up breen, find out that deferi "frigates" are literally squishier than a type 8 shuttle
>"""""frigates"""""
>"oh yeah we're getting assimilated as well pls help"
>i have literally never been to the borg ground battlezone and never will, they can get mcfucked
>preservers get fucking nuked later along with an entire deferi world
>andnothingofvaluewaslost.png

Literally Cryptic's fucking DMPCs. Seriously, why do they even exist?
>>
>>51186964

The Big D has a slow cruiser's turn rate, so beam arrays are the best weapons to mount on her. She just doesn't turn fast enough for cannons or even dual-beams. I would put 100 into weapon power and as much as you can squeeze into engines. Shield power is really ineffective for what it does, and you're better off using healing powers to keep your shields up.
>>
>>51177876
>>51184167
>tfw when you realise the one in the foreground is basically a fucking Scryer with a saucer on the back
>>
File: Skeleton rave.gif (2MB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton rave.gif
2MB, 512x512px
>>51192795
Aww man, the deferi suck because "muh balance" and then when they get buttfucked by the Borg (seriously, nobody else has fucking borg on their planet 24/7 creating a fucking battlezone) while for example Klingons got invaded by FUCKING ICONIANS AND THEIR HERALDS in some ground queues and they were able to toss those fuckers out, the deferi are just a sad excuse on the face of reality!
>>
File: lawful neutral.jpg (69KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
lawful neutral.jpg
69KB, 800x587px
>>51192795
>Captain (You)
kek'd

>>51192914
>the balance means not helping you if you get invaded
>the balance means not defending ourselves if we get invaded
>"BWAAAAAAH THERE'S BREEN HERE PLEASE HELP"
>"BWAAAAAAH THERE'S BORG HERE PLEASE HELP"
>"ok I know we're not allies but I will speak highly of you in my mission report"
>"ok I know we're not allies"
>"I know we're not allies"
>mfw
>>
File: IMG_0177.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0177.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51180958
>>51181152
>>51181188
>>51182641

It is $40 and they are really nice. pic related, it's my desk right now
>>
File: bashirconstanza.jpg (30KB, 428x467px) Image search: [Google]
bashirconstanza.jpg
30KB, 428x467px
>>51192795

>Captain (You)

I think this is my fundamental problem with STO. The more I get into the SWG emulator servers the more I realize why people hated the NGE. In STO I don't want to be the captain or the hero all the time. I want to be a member of a crew, a part of a team who saves the day. I think this was Perpetual's vision but that's not a game we'll ever see (Star Trek Bridge Crew might be close?!?)
>>
>>51193669
Oooh, where's that MSD from?
>>
>>51193669
fuck those models, man, where the shit did you get that MSD from?
>>
>>51193669
>TFW man that Ent-D and Bird of Prey are so fuck out of scale with each other.
Well, I'm guessing that if ST: IV movie is to be believed a BoP is small enough to hide in a somewhat tiny field. Compared to the Ent-D how should a BoP scale anyway I'm guessing it is like Defiant size if that.
>>
>>51195258
There are at least three variants of the BoP.
>>
>>51193870
>>51193916

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jjhp/
>>
>>51195258
The B'rel is the standard, small BoP. It's supposed to have a crew anywhere between 14 and 40. The larger vessel, often(as far as I know, always) depicted with it's wings permanently raised, is known as the K'Vort. The K'Vort has a crew somewhere between 200 and 400.

We mainly see B'rels during the Dominion war. They also make appearances in the TOS films and TNG. The K'Vort is a TNG only design. Appearing during a confrontation with the Romulans and during the Yesterday's Enterprise alternate universe.
>>
>>51188564
i dont hate him i just think he looks off

like whenever i see him i think of Sloth from the goonies
>>
>>51195258

yeah they're not doing anything "to scale"
>>
who would like to read an out of context roleplay session log?
>>
>>51195964
Well, better than the tryhard get nowhere Asian stereotype that was Harry Kim. Boy did that guy make me want to throw stuff at my TV at times.
>>
>>51196137
sounds sexy go for it.
>>
>>51196191

http://pastebin.com/pVLbm1cM
>>
>>51196152
so far voyager to me is the suffering of harry kim

>doesnt get to visit 1990s era LA
>resists the urge to cave in paris' skull with a pipe
>gets tortured by a holographic clown
>gets sucked out into space and dies in an alternate reality
>has 0 character development/growth in the 3 seasons that i've watched

not as much suffering as o'brien, but still
>>
>>51196519
Well, at least by the end of DS9 O'Brien gets his props.
Harry not so much :P
>>
>>51196519
He gets character growth.

He becomes a whiny asshole who doesn't get to go on adventures with Paris any more and is deliberately babied by the captain despite him being a grown man, academy graduate, somehow on senior staff briefings despite not being a department head and outranked by half the crew, being bridge crew anyway including command shifts despite no command ability in his character, having seen and experienced death more than a few times... I could go on.

But should have stayed in that alternate timeline designing runabouts and shit.
>>
>>51195258
The Eaglemoss Starships Collection ships aren't to scale with each other.
>>
>>51196519
>>51196714
O'Brien is very much a character the writers grew to love. That's what really set him apart. Retrospectively they lucked in so damn hard when they got Colm Meaney as a nameless redshirt in the TNG pilot.

Watching TNG in order, you can see he starts out as a nobody and slowly gets more appearances and more dialogue to go with them, getting his own designated role as transporter chief so he turn up pretty much every episode for a scene and a line or so.

Then getting to appear more and more outside his designated box in the transporter room until he's basically there all the time for whenever they need an engineer who isn't LaForge, up to being almost a main character with episodes centring on him. And all that time there's little bits of character growth from details dropped like the building ships in bottles or the time he had to deal with a shitload of giant spiders.
>>
some believe the mega bundle will be T6 vesta ships for each faction, if it is, it will feel like a repeat of 3 years ago, of which we got the free dyson ship, and then there was the 9 dyson ship mega bundle
>>
>>51198235
to further clarify, i mean we got a free science ship, followed by a 9 science ship bundle
>>
>>51197196
or that time Data played a trick on him and got him to marry a Japanese hate ghost that was haunting the arboretum.
>>
>>51198372
>Possessed by Wormhole Satan
>Gets nicer
There's some serious after the fact horror in how they wrote Keiko.
>>
>>51198400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehKz_bjr1GI
>>
>>51198372
It's a shame, O'Brien had women throwing themselves at him once he got to DS9.
>He never got to hook up with that Cardassian engineer chick
>Never got to climb around in the dark recesses of the station repairing shit with his cute spoonhead girl
>Never made sweet irish lovings to her ontop of the central ODN relays
>Never got to blow his load while she was pressed up against the main communications array signal processor
>>
I mostly have a low option when they have young children in a show but the girl that they got to play Molly is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQtt8K-2GZw
>>
>>51198372
>Japanese hate ghost
So can which ever anon makes the next thread make it in honor of O'Brien the 'JAPANESE HATE GHOST' edition.
>>
>>51198235
t6 vesta w h e n
I just wanna launch carrier pets from something that isn't fucking diabetically large
>>
>>51199419
As suggested, New Thread
>>51200620
>>51200620
>>51200620
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.