[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 34

File: Image-3.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-3.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Old Thread - >>50902660

Your Favorite "That Guy" Experiences Edition!

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: narset.png (136KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
narset.png
136KB, 223x311px
>>50921129
>that guy

literally every narset player i have ever had the misfortune of playing with
>>
>>50921179
They always have that snarky shit eating grin when they pull out their narset deck.

>I was just messing around before, now you'll see my true power level!
>>
I am that guy anon:

>walk into my flgs for the second time today
>bring out my Jori-En MLD deck
>start nuking boards while I have planeswalkers out, and start getting various dickass emblems
>when the playgroup has had enough, shift to Lazav and hatefuck the table with their own stuff
>finally, if I'm feeling merciful, I switch to Ghave and combo off turn 5 every single game
>>
>>50921179
I made a narset player rage quit when i casted armaggedon followed by a dropped sire of insanity through kaalia in the first few turns. His deck was the usual extra turns and combat phases.
>>
File: OswaldinaJam.jpg (87KB, 600x680px) Image search: [Google]
OswaldinaJam.jpg
87KB, 600x680px
I have an opportunity to buy a brand new commanders arsenal for $250. Is that a good deal?
>>
>>50921129
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/silent-night-4/
So, given that I'm trying not to spend lots and lots of money on cardboard, what could I do it improve this?
I don't know if I'm really going to enjoy playing this, but I want to make one of every color combination, and I'll have to do Dimir sometime.
Ninja tribal ebt seems betterish than Gisa and Geralf Zombies.
>>
>Brewing
UG Partner
>32 Combo Cards
>feelsgood
>>
>>50921397
i want to make something out of the partners but every time i sit down to do it i get bored and stop
>>
>>50921414
With Thrasios, Triton Hero as your commander all you need is actually infinite mana, cast him, draw all your library and win with some unfair combo, pretty easy
The others partners I have no idea what to do with
>>
>>50921320
"a player rage quit when I had cards on the field that anyone who values their time would concede to"
>>
>>50921397
Lmao what 32 combos?
>>
>>50921492
Not 32 combos, but 32 cards each part of a combo
Have 7 infinite mana combo; Hive Minde + Pact combo; Tooth and Nail; Mindslaver + Academy; Stage Depths; Witness + Command; Laboratory Maniac
>>
Played a couple games against my cousin and uncle today. Game 1 was 1v1 vs my cousin. I was running my Sharuum deck (Filigree Angel blink/esper midrange) against my Progenitus deck (tons of land, ramp, card draw, and bombs. Lots of recursion too. Game was fairly anticlimactic. I landed a few utility artifact dudes and a turn 5 Jace Memory Adept, who ulted and drw me into mindslaver and eldrazi displacer, while Progenitus just dropped some fatties that I could effectively ignore or counter.

Game 2 uncle joined in running his 7 mana Teysa Deck (low-power extort/token), cousin kept on Progenitus, both of which making my choice of Breya seem bad (general assassin, very recursion heavy). Uncle got a sizeable life and creature lead, but cousin wiped the board with Supreme Verdict and Fracturing Gust, while recurring Prince of Thralls. I eventually got a Filigree Angel and some rocks to stabilize, and topdecled a Knowledge Exploitation to steal cousin's Praetor's Counsel, allowing me to wrap up the game shortly after with recurring artifact threats and wraths.
>>
>>50921534
Seems like a lot. Do you just want hella combos? Because you could just use the spiciest ones.
>>
>>50921179
Agreed. Narset ban when?
>>
>>50921567
Hella Combos
But what do you suggest?
Thinking for duel commander
>>
>>50921482
It was a redundant narset edh. He always gloated and rubbed it in our faces when he had extra turns and combat phases.
>>
>>50921591
Oh. Idk for duel commander specifically but I'd probably just play umbral mantle + things and Isochron + Dramatic reversal as combos and then make everything else kind of try and assemble those or be control magic.
>>
>>50921555
Weird part of it was after, looking through their decks and cards, when I realized that they were WotC's target demographic. They had a good number of fetches, modern staples, duals, etc, and did t care when I mentioned their price. They had lots of commander precons (more than me, which is a feat), but took nearly none of them.apart, and made real bad decks when they did. They had no idea the names of older sets, and though doing things "in response" to instants felt wrong.

Just kinda an interesting experience to bring be down to earth and realize how most people play.
>>
>>50921594
Fair enough, if he was a shitty dude while playing the deck as well, then we should laugh at him heartily.
>>
>>50921352
I dont think you need all the useless unblockable/low impact guys to make your ninjitsu guys good. I would cut some of those for some more mana rocks and card draw. Plus mass bounce seems really good with your strategy, I would put more of that in too rather than some stuff that doesn't really do much like propaganda and spellbook
>>
Fiance somehow knew to buy me a fucking Kaalia for Christmas. I want it to be strong, but not obvious and boring.

Anyway to go Mardu lifegain while still getting use out of Kaalia's abilities? Want to run the good tribal, but that risks having a completely fucked average cmc.
>>
If you have multiple "you may play an additional land" cards under your control do they each allow an extra land drop or do you still only receive 1 extra?
>>
>>50921635
Well, can use it on my casual table, Primeval titan and Emrakul are banned anyways...
Thanks anon
>>
>>50921759
each gives a land drop
>>
>>50921759
They each allow for seperare land drops gaeas touch + exploration = three lands per turn
>>
>>50921774
>>50921780
Thanks a bunch, now I can get to work on a proper Gitrog
>>
>>50921729
How about dragon tribal? You can take advantage of the dragon support from the khans block, such as dragon tempest and the dragon tutor spell,and dragon support in general. There's also 2 creatures that reduces the cost for dragons.
In my opinion, running multiple 2 drop mana rocks work well in kaalia.
>>
>>50921129
This fucker who played an Ur-Dragon deck once (and kept getting mad when I killed his Scion on sight, because I'm not into 1-shot general kill). He tried getting another player to kill me, turning the gme into a 2v2 when I allied with my buddy to counteract their bullshit. (I won that one).

2nd time I saw him he was playing Gay Kings, and cast Obliterate and Jokulhaups for value. Worst part was the other idiot who didn't counter his Jokulhaups because I killed his general early. He also loves bragging about his "taking turns" deck, which I gathered is an infinite turns deck.

The worst pricks are those that think they're clever or special for figuring out combo decks in EDH are good. I ay combos fairly often, but I never act like I've outsmarted my opponents, I just played broken cards faster.
>>
File: 16-12-21(1).jpg (184KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
16-12-21(1).jpg
184KB, 499x499px
>>50921798
Proper frog you say?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-in-paper/
>>
File: edric.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
edric.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
I want to make my Edric deck more interesting than your run-of-the-mill flying men version.

Specifically, I want to play up the "spymaster" aspect of it, by running cards that allow me to see other people's hands and the tops of their libraries, things like that. I want to be able to know who has a wrath or a wincon in their hands at all times because I think it'd be a fun, political way of doing things: I'll be an information broker.

Do you guys know any good cards that would help with this? Telepathy I know about, but would rather not run: I always just get annoyed myself when it's played against me, and anyway it reveals information to everyone and not just me. Gitaxian Probe is the kind of thing I'm looking for, and it cantrips, but in EDH a one-and-done instant for such an effect hardly seems ideal. Unfortunately it's hard to search up these kind of effects all that easily with advanced searches.

TL;DR: How to make Edric play like a Spymaster?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ruhans-gonna-bop-you/
Rate, hate?
>>
>>50921842
My build is somewhat similar, just lacking in the more expensive parts like vault/crypt
>>
>>50921859
Run stuff like Alhammaret or Booby Trap, where you have to name a specific card. Also run all the Fact or Fiction varients, lots of clash cards, and anything where you have to guess cards in people's hands. Liars Pendulum and Fertile Imagination seem fun in this deck.
>>
>>50921922
Vault is like 5 dollars senpai
>>
>>50921859
There's are really any repeatable see your opponent hand cards. Most of them are reveal effects that mean everyone sees it.
>>
>>50922043
Closer to $10 my friend, Its nice but I feel like I would end up killing myself with it more often than not
>>
>>50922074
>>50921859
Urza's Glasses
>>
>>50922249
fuck me, it's perfect
bless you
>>
Props to the guy who posted the Braids deck, just finished making my own today and its a blast to play.
>>
If I flash Stonecloaker to block and return it to my hand at the same time, how does that work?
>>
>>50922390
I don't think you can, it's already on its way back to your hand before you can block I think
>>
What's the best deck if I want to have an answer for everything?
>>
>>50922390

You cannot

Declare blockers happens at the beginning of the step, nobody has priority, only stuff that was in play by the end of the declare attackers step can block

However you can block with a thing, then stonecloaker that thing back to your hand to save it. Which can be really strong if that thing was an etb dork. It gets to chump twice and etb twice
>>
>>50922458

Child of Alara creatureless 5 color control
>>
File: 1482927457039.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1482927457039.gif
144KB, 126x126px
I got a that guy story

>playing newzuri against karador and saskia
>both are essentially that guy but saskia player is the main focus here
>karador is just beating down on everyone sans me, already killed the other guy who was playing athreos
>karador has an army of spawnwrithe
>manage to get him to next turn kill with a unblockable kaseto at 8/8 and fog when karador swings all out
>saskia player literally has nothing out and is only at 3 life and wants to help me kill karador
>thinking it will help me he plays CRACKLING DOOM because it will remove his biggest defender(all the spawnwraithes are 5/5) to let me kill him in his mind
>karador guy goes pic related
>is fully dedicated to it and believes he helped me kill him until he sees I am forced to sac kaseto
>says something like "oh well I couldn't see your board I thought you had more unblockables"
Its more of rage post than anything but fuck does his stupidity piss me off
>>
>>50922458
that 5 color enduring ideal control deck. one guy plays it at my lgs and it turns into archenemy every time.
>>
is it possible to build a deck that plays similar to Lantern in EDH?
>>
>>50921729
>Kaalia
>Not obvious and boring

You can only pick one.
>>
>>50921331
Anybody?
>>
>>50923291

Check eBay and tcg player

Sounds reasonable tho
>>
File: myEDHGroup.jpg (1MB, 1500x1941px) Image search: [Google]
myEDHGroup.jpg
1MB, 1500x1941px
I used to play against a guy who always thought he would have this amazing brew, would boast about it the entire game and blame his losing on bad luck.
He just couldn't admit he was a bad deck builder and he wouldn't go and adjust the deck to be better. (like adding more removal/ramp)

I played with him more recently a couple of years later and he hasn't changed a bit.
>>
File: Image.png (134KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
134KB, 223x311px
How would I build a fun deck around this guy?
>>
File: 1440398864399.jpg (10KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
1440398864399.jpg
10KB, 275x200px
>>50923458
https://edhrec.com/commanders/arjun-the-shifting-flame
>>
>>50923542
EDHrec is good, not necessarily fun, and everybody knows about it already so linking it is a bit pointless.

>>50923458
On the other hand, this article that happens to be on EDHrec might prove useful. http://articles.edhrec.com/underdogs-corner-round-1-arjun-the-shifting-flame/
After reading this, I'm considering building it myself.
>>
File: necropotence damaged.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
necropotence damaged.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
So guys, I found this for $2.

I decided to try painting it, will post results. Tell me if I did good, and if you think id be embarrassing myself for using the new painted one
>>
File: progress.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>50923609
Covered it up
>>
>>50923625
improvement already
>>
File: altered.jpg (3MB, 1890x2646px) Image search: [Google]
altered.jpg
3MB, 1890x2646px
>>50923609
>>50923625

This is the final product.

I've been told to thin my paints, so I've been trying. It's difficult to cover up all that fucking sharpie, but over all im pretty happy. Honest criticism, would you snicker if your opponent used this in his edh deck?
>>
>>50923669
i think its ugly but not nearly as bad as it was before. i just don't care for that kind of art style.
>>
>>50923669
agreeing with >>50923684. I'm fucking impressed and if I saw you at the FLGS with it I'd say so, but it's certainly not very pretty.
>>
>>50923684
>>50923707

I appreciate the feedback! And I understand completely, I think it's the only kinda thing I can draw... I'm glad my painting is improving. You don't think that paint is too thick, do you? I'm trying hard to thin my paints, but it is especially difficult to cover that level of damage when doing so.

I'm running it in my endrek sahr deck!
>>
>>50923542
>>50923578
Thanks for the links, they seem very informative.
I'll get to brewing and will hopefully report back eventually
Wish me luck!
>>
File: 1471477465614.png (404KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471477465614.png
404KB, 853x480px
>>50921179
>playing mono white old odric soldier/token tribal in a pod with narset spike
>tfw happened to have a opening hand nevermore
>tfw cast it turn 2 naming narset
>that shit eating grin seeing the narset players salt
>>
>>50923808
>I'm running it in my endrek sahr deck!
Well, if that's not a flavor home run then I don't know what is. I can dig it.

Honestly, the paint looks pretty good to me, but if I'm really focusing on it I'm noticing that there are a lot of little black dots, I'm assuming where you lifted your brush or put it down perhaps. I'm not really sure what causes that but it could be something to work on.
>>
>>50923609
>>50923669
The art sucks no matter what. You just managed to make a stupid alter look even worse so congratulations on that
>>
>>50923839
>little black dots

Yeah, I think you're spot on. I'll definately watch that, thank you for the tip, I didn't even notice how many there were. I hope it doesn't take too much away from the final product.

>>50923885
I appreciate your input!
>>
>>50921129
Any of you fellas play 2HG, but modified for EDH?
If so, what rules setup?
>>
>>50923885
It doesn't look worse. The first alter was utter trash. This one is gross but definitely an improvement.
>>50923669
Nice job and getting the damaged copy and trying to make it work. I think your alter could've been better planned/a little more on theme.
>>
>>50923920
80 life, commander damage is 42
>>
>>50921129
Budget Voltron Yasova deck
link: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yasova-wrecking-network/

Goal is pretty much smash face pretty quick. Prior weaknesses were ramp and color screw, but with some mods I made last week, there's been significant improvement in that aspect

>recent adds: darksteel ingot, exotic orchard, willbreaker, chitinous cloak (w/ vorrac battlehorns makes her unblockable)

>Thoughts and feedback lads?
>>
File: necro.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
necro.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>50923932
I understand, and thank you for the response. Yeah, I was trying to do the whole "necro-potent" theme more like fusing of flesh and skin, since I'm running it in my endrek sahr master breeder deck. Thrulls melting together and the like was the idea for it, but I can see it didn't work as well as intended.

Hopefully it looks better across the table!
>>
>>50923932
Both are bad, just giving my two cents
>>
>>50921859
There's a 1 drop blue enchant: Telepathy, tha makes everyone but you play with their hands revealed. One of the other guys i my playgroup played it, and desu I was too lazy to bother looking (6 person game) further than my left and right. <20 cents on tcg
>>
>>50923986
I'm grateful that you responded to me, but would it kill you to read the whole post first?
>>
File: Uyo.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Uyo.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
Thinkin about making a Moonfolk deck because I've never built mono blue but I don't just want it to be boring labman combo control. I've always really liked their weird land-bounce abilities and wished that Wizards had done more with that because (although I've never played with it) it seemed like a neat way to do blue mechanics.

Is it fun? Is pic related a good commander? Patron of the Moon seems nice as well but I feel like this one would be more useful to have continuous access to.
>>
>>50921331
No
>>
>>50923998
shit i'm sorry anon. I was excited about that card since I just got one i recently.

It's not necessarily 'spy-eqsue' exactly, but the incorporation of permanent stealing as a thematic expression of espionage turning the tides could definitely be a theme

For this, stuck like the vedalken shackles, empress galina, master of predicaments (free casts for you), sphinx ambassador, and thada adel.

Definitely a strionic resonator, though I got around 10 or so when they were 30 cents each, wish I'd gotten more desu.

I guess if you wanted to push it more aggro spylike, you could run a ninja tribal theme. Stuff like Higure, the Deep hours fellow, etc. Though there's some good rat ninja in black with the discard theme
>>
>>50923979
>>50923885

OP here,
I appreciate your honesty anon. Thank you for taking the time to speak your mind!
Is there a particular reason you think my alter is shitty? Because I would like to know, I want to improve.
>>
File: walker.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
walker.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
>>50924062
>I guess if you wanted to push it more aggro spylike, you could run a ninja tribal theme.
I don't know so much about tribal or any of the black ninjas, but thanks for mentioning them -- managed to find this one in advanced search which seems like it would be pretty effective for what I'm looking at doing. Thanks!
>>
>>50924027

I think patron of the moon is more important to the deck, blue doesn't have many ways of putting lands onto the battlefield, and it makes returning lands to your hand feasible instead of extreme tempo loss
>>
>>50924101
ooh that's pretty nice. If your group runs a lot of morph of manifest, you make like keeper of the lens. And no prob man

There's a lot of that subterfuge & infiltration that's in black you won't have access to with an edric led team, but as long as you can do everything you want to, it's all good

Also, simic manipulator is nice for creature stealing. Okay maybe I like stealing folks' stuff too much
>>
>>50924081
Nothing against you I just dislike alters in general. I think its disrespectful to the og artist whenever anyone alters a card, I appreciate what you were trying to do but the art just looks worse, it reminds of a screamo band album cover, but if you like it then its what you wanted and should enjoy it
>>
File: wizard.webm (260KB, 258x360px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.webm
260KB, 258x360px
>>50924027

>just realize there are currently 61 legendary wizards legal in edh

fuck, now i really want to build a all wizards deck
>>
>>50924164
To each their own!
I respect your opinion, and I can see where you are coming from. I was disgusted by the original damage, and did what I could to make it playable for me. I do see alters as disrespectful as well, but I think extended borders, (something I cannot do) are the opposite, I see them as almost a tribute to the original artist.

Thank you for taking the time to write out more than just "it's shit", for real. Now I understand
>>
>>50924178
It works pretty well with that blue 'tap a wizard to draw a card' slut
>>
>>50924287

>tfw Azami + docent of perfection +intruder alarm (or the new paradox engine)
>>
>>50924323
Oh no, who could have known that blue could combo with itself
>>
>>50924323
>paradox engine

Exactly which card is it based off of? I know planar bridge is an upgraded planar portal
>>
>>50921179
>Narset is autistic in the lore

Way too meta for me.
>>
>>50921288
Why do people like you play EDH?
>>
>>50923669
Art style isn't my cup of tea but it's unique, doesn't purport to be a good alter but then proceed to have horrible edgework and sloppy paint layering, and it's got personality. Neat/10
>>
>>50921331

Unless you absolutely need the foils, dont buy that
>>
>>50921129
To finish Vial/Kraum I'd spend $50 less than to buy all of Descent 2E, all of it, and it's only 25 cards I'm missing.

How did we let it come to this?
>>
File: 1412526931813.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1412526931813.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>50921179
>Narset player at my store.
>He's a not an autistic spazz, but is a total Spike, and acknowledges that.
>When he's not playing Narset, he's playing Memnarch, Atarka, World Render, General Tazri, or Purphoros.
>He's either winning Turn 4-5, or getting hated off the board with no remorse.
>He never gets salty about it, evening saying shit like "Nah dude, I get it. Narset is gross."
>Mfw
It's so refreshing and great.
>>
>>50921129
I once had an asshole betray me at a GP.
We knew each other from the LGS and he needed half a pod's prize tickets to get himself a GP Vegas playmat he wanted so he asked me to team up in the last pod of the night and split the tickets, Since half the tickets were more than I needed to get a deck I wanted from the prize table I said yes. I was playing Teysa.
We were called to our table and the other two players were Tarland and Jeleva who were obviously teaming up as well. Two hours later after a billion counter wars, when Jeleva was hellbent I Thoughtseized Tarland to check for counters and Buried alive Mike and Trike with Reassembling Skeleton to use the Victimize I had in hand and end this bullshit, exept my Victimize got countered by my faggot "friend".
The turn after Jeleva top decked Enter the Infinite and we lost.
I went on to sell the tickets I already had for actual fucking dollars and bought the deck I wanted at one of the vendors, he had to go home with like 40 Snickers that were the only thing remaining at the table he could actually trade for. The fucker is allergyc to peanuts and spent months trying to sell his Snickers at the LGS despite the LGS selling snacks themselves.

What was the faggot playing? >>50921179
What else.
>>
>>50921129

Found that all decks in the local meta are control decks. Had to balance between playing a deck that would just fuck with control (Teferi maybe?) or just NOT spending a ton of cash on MTG and finding something else to do with my time.

I decided not to bother in the end. I don't have enough free time at the moment anyway.
>>
File: 1348554894734.png (467KB, 466x558px) Image search: [Google]
1348554894734.png
467KB, 466x558px
>>50925125
>playing EDH at a GP
>>
>>50923669
it's an improvement over your other alters but i don't understand what is your fascination with drawing these grotesque spaghetti monsters on cards

>would you snicker
i'd mostly be wtfing at your face
>>
>>50925103
i dislike spikes who enter casual tables and act like they're doing nothing wrong, but there's a certain kind of catharsis that comes from using my xenagos deck to smash them, then start playing normally after they're dead

>cast a malignus
>spike tries to counterspell it
>pyroblast their counterspell
>spike tries to spot remove it
>blossoming defense my creature
>buff up my fucking memer and smash him for 44 trampling face damage

i don't give a fuck about playing competitive edh but i kind of want to tune up my xenagos just so i can smash spikes more easily. i know it can never really compete with real t1 decks most of the time but xenagos is just strong enough to stand up to them
>>
>>50925590
so he was supposed to just let you hit him for like 45 is that what you need to do to not be a spike?
>>
>>50925590
this is pretty funny because my friend is probably the only nonspike in our playgroup and he has Xenagos as his go-to spike stomping deck.
>>
>>50925837
oh no, that was just to explain that xenagos beats tricky counterspelly control combo decks by just countering their removal and smashing them really hard
>>
File: Image-142.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-142.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>50925590
>before damage is assigned . . .
>>
File: Duplicant.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Duplicant.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
Post the card that has turned your games more than you think

For me it's this beauty. Never thought such a simple card could just deal with most sorts of vomit inducing creatures
>>
>>50925590
This is pretty much my strategy with spikes.
I keep a couple decks where there are no limiters and I just run the most expensive crazy shit, and when a spike hits the table I pull it out and kill the offender on turn 6 with a 50 damage alpha strike.
>>
>>50921320
huh usually I was the one dropping armageddon when playing narset
>>
Hey /tg/ I have a few questions related to EDH:

>How many infect counters do I need to kill someone? Still 10 or 15? Wouldn't infect be too strong?

>What happens in a multiplayer game when I take control of an opponent creature somehow and my opponent dies while I'm using that creature?

>Can Crypt Ghast be used in a monoblack commander deck even if it has a white mana symbol in the description? Why?

>Is there an official banned cards list or just depends on the playgroup?
>>
>>50922355
not him but im thinking about making it too, what did you change?
>>
Is there any response to a Tooth and Nail into Palinchron and Dead Eye Navigator besides having a counter ready or on demand mass land destruction?
>>
>>50926629
>infect

Start with 10. If you feel the infect decks are killing too quickly then try 15. Anything higher is such a significant blow to infect you'll just never see anyone play it again since it will just never win otherwise.
>>
>>50926629
>How many infect counters do I need to kill someone? Still 10 or 15? Wouldn't infect be too strong?
Still 10 but most people houserule it at 15 or 20. And yes infect is too strong and will most likely bring hate toward you.

>What happens in a multiplayer game when I take control of an opponent creature somehow and my opponent dies while I'm using that creature?
Once a player dies, every card he owns are removed from play, so you'd lose the creature (it wouldn't die though)

>Can Crypt Ghast be used in a monoblack commander deck even if it has a white mana symbol in the description? Why?
You can because the symbol is inside a reminder text, so it doesn't really count.

>Is there an official banned cards list or just depends on the playgroup?
If I'm not wrong there is actually two banlists for EDH, one for duel and one for multi, don't know where to find them.
>>
>>50926629
10. Infect is not the strongest strategy out there but it is kind of unfun so some groups either houserule it to 20 or follow the "spirit of EDH" by not using infect, or only use it to a limited extent.

800.4a When a player leaves the game, all objects (see rule 109) owned by that player leave the game and any effects which give that player control of any objects or players end. Then, if that player controlled any objects on the stack not represented by cards, those objects cease to exist. Then, if there are any objects still controlled by that player, those objects are exiled. This is not a state-based action. It happens as soon as the player leaves the game. If the player who left the game had priority at the time he or she left, priority passes to the next player in turn order who’s still in the game.

Yes, because it's only part of reminder text. Reminder text is not actually part of the Extort keyword or the card itself.

Here's the official banlist (and all other rules): http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php
>>
>>50926629
Still 10, not too strong

When a player dies, they remove all of their cards from the game.

Yes, extort has white in its reminder text, and its a triggered ability, not an activated ability, so it's color identity is mono black. You can run it in mono black.

There is an official banlist, Google it
>>
>>50926736
The best response is not playing against UGx
>>
>>50926768
> most people houserule it at 15 or 20. And yes infect is too strong and will most likely bring hate toward you.
Both of these things are wrong. The only people who houserule it higher or think it's "too strong" are morons. There are literally so few playable Infect creatures that I can count them on one hand. The best infect cards for Commander aren't even fucking creatures, it's "Slap Grafted Exoskeleton onto Nekusar/Purphoros/etc", and that's really more to do with their ability to do a huge chunk of damage at a time. Infect is not too strong, 10 counters is fine, and it'll only bring 'hate' if you're playing an already hateable strategy, or against people who would also hate you out of the game for playing removal or mill.
>>
>>50926890

>what is tainted strike
>>
>>50926915
>the best infect cards for Commander aren't even creatures
>>
File: Dovescape%20foil[1].jpg (247KB, 544x736px) Image search: [Google]
Dovescape%20foil[1].jpg
247KB, 544x736px
Post genuine secret tech.

If anyone posts that mountain cougar or whatever the fuck it is I'll cut your throat.
>>
File: Image (20).jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (20).jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>50926932
>>
File: Image.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>50926932
>>
File: Genuine tech.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Genuine tech.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>50926932
>>
>>50926932
>>
>>50927146
Such pretty art, such shitty card
>>
>>50924030
>>50924888

Why shouldn't he buy it? I've seen them sell for more than that online.
>>
>>50927208

>Such pretty art, such shitty card

If we wept for every great piece of art that was wasted on a worthless garbage card we'd drown the world in our tears.
>>
>>50926736
Dead eye navigator is super easy to remove with any sort of spot removal. Just kill him when his triggered ability is on the stack.
>>
>>50926890
Why would someone get hated for playing mill? That strategy is weaker than poison in edh.
>>
>>50921637
That's kinda how I feel when I play other formats. In drafts or pre-releases I have a hard time making a coherent deck. Another reason to like EDH.
>>
>>50925292
>not playing all eternal side vents
And then you complain when WotC acts like nobody wants eternal reprints.
>>
File: 1481600486833.png (472KB, 624x475px) Image search: [Google]
1481600486833.png
472KB, 624x475px
Hey /edh/.
Long time listener, first time caller. Do yall have any suggestions on how to combat a mid level meren deck? It is pretty oppressive and besides moving quickly and aiming that player (which makes them not have fun), I can't really comeback when she starts going. Any advise?
>>
>>50927427
I'll take no eternal staples reprints over WotC getting the wrong idea that Commander needs to be promoted as a competitive format.
>>
>>50926287
>turn 6
If youre not already dead or crippled into not being able to do anything by then, and there's only one "spike" at the table, then you're not playing with a spike
>>
>>50927663

Literally just play Rest in Peace

Playing graveyard hate isn't cheating.
>>
>>50926736
Kill them with spot removal in response to their own triggers.
>>
>>50927663
If you are playing black you need a bojuka bog, the best gy hate to exist. If not black you can use things like tormod's crypt/relic of progenitus. OGW Kalitas is also strong as fuck against Meren since it denies her experience counters
>>
>>50927780
I never said it was cheating, I'm finding difficulty combating it.

Thank you for the suggestion though.
>>
Are there going to be a lot more colorless costing cards, it is aggravating to see this symbol on lands
>>
>>50927880

Some people get the idea in their heads that putting cards in their deck to directly counter another players is "Mean" or "Cheating" or "Against the spirit of the format".

Even when that particular deck is ruining the local meta and making people not have fun by winning every time.
>>
Why do decks have so much card draw, like nobody mills. Isn't scry better?
>>
>>50927875
Very dope suggestions thank you. I dont think ill build around the commander though as im not trying to directly counter his deck

>>50927918
Yeah....I don't know. I just want everyone to enjoy themselves a bit. He's got plenty of enchantment hate for my daxos so i think this is kind of fair.
>>
>>50924287
I want her as commander but I don't want to go full blue, too bad she can't partner with ajani caller of the pride
>>
>>50923669
Necronomicon outta ten looks great
>>
>>50927968
Card draw brings advantage, also majority of people at the least that I play with have some sort of mass gy recursion like elixir of immortality, feldon cane, one of the og titans, etc.

>>50927978
No problem. There are others not even gy hate than can still impact meren, if the decks particularly abuses etb triggers ala merciless/fleshbag or even bane of progress you can use torpor orb
>>
>>50924476
perpetual motion device or some shit that i cant be bothered to be thoroughly educated on
>>
>>50927906
Go fuck yourself, pussy. What kind of fuck boy bitch thinks diamond on your magicians poker cards are aggravating?
>>
>>50927968
>isnt looking at cards better than being able to play them?

Youre either joking or are autistic
>>
Need some tips bros trying to keep it budget

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kemba-the-mad-cat-lady/
>>
>>50927346
The same reason people would get hated off the board for playing a turn 1 Glistener Elf in EDH:

The people hating them off the board are fucking idiots.
>>
>>50927968
Card selection is powerful, but I'd much rather draw 4 cards than scry 4. Scry 4 lets me fix the upcoming draws, but doesn't give me access to any cards yet. Drawing would put those cards into my hand immediately for use. There's a reason that a single blue mana Sorcery can Scry 3, but to DRAW 3 usually costs 4 times as much: Drawing a card is more valuable than scrying a card.
>>
>>50926016
I just like imprint cards so much
>>
>>50925918
i think malignus might ignore that since it has a "damage dealt by malignus cannot be prevented" clause
>>
>>50927748
to be fair, you can be a spike even if you don't win by turn 6

>base your gameplan around solitaire tutoring for combos
>play really degenerate annoying shit like brago stax
>ramp up to entwined tooth and nail

etc.

you can't really achieve a turn 2-4 lock without putting tons of expensive fast mana into your deck. you can be a spike with a cheaper, slower deck too, it's more about whether you intend to have fun or just make a beeline for a wincon
>>
>>50927306
>Dead eye navigator is super easy to remove with any sort of spot removal. Just kill him when his triggered ability is on the stack.

lol nope

"in response to your removal, i use deadeye navigator's ability again for another 2 mana"
>>
>>50928542
You don't understand how soulbond works, do you?
>>
>>50928562
explain to me why you wouldn't be able to do what i just said
>>
>>50928502
Most Narsets are actually like this, since a good number of tables have at least on player that isn't retarded and hold counters/removal for her, a lot of Narset players are pretty much playing handbuilding until they have a haste giver and 7 counters.

And a lot of people will still not put pressure on them because "they're not a threat" and then complain because you "didn't do anything to stop it".
>>
>>50928562
Not that anon, but to my understanding, as long as he's bonded he could just flicker himself in response to removal.
>>
File: flash.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
flash.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>50926932
>dat art
>dat white border
>dat graveyard synergy
>dem free LTB effects from creatures like keiga, the tide star, or just simply great ETBs like diluvian primordial
>banned in every format except edh

perhaps the greatest card in all of mtg
>>
>Xenagos spike stomping deck
My sides. Are you guys seriously buying that? There are all varieties and flavors of spikes. Yes, you CAN build a Xenagos deck to shit on counterspell decks, but those are arguably the worst/least effective subsect of Spike. The dreaded Dave-Spike hybrid is much more difficult to combat, and you aren't going to beat them with cheap tricks.
>>
So, I'm a big fan of planeswalkers. But for some reason the people I play with always get really upset when someone plays one.
So, I decided to make this to annoy them.
What do you think?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/leave-my-planeswalkers-alone/
>>
>>50928542
>>50928573
If you time the removal to be in response to the blink trigger, Deadeye is no longer soul bonded to the creature, and therefore cannot blink itself. The other creature still gets blinked though.
>>
>>50928611
Is Xenagos a meme deck now?
I have a really tuned Xenagos and I love it for fast games or 1v1, but it's not competitive in the slightest. It either wins big or gets blown out.
>>
>>50928143
I'll just use my old lands!
>>
>>50928629
actually, you can't remove do it in response of the blink trigger, but you can do it in response to the soulbond trigger. there will never be a time you can respond when the flickered target isn't on the battlefield, it flickers and resolves right away. however, when that creature or deadeye navigator enters the battlefield again, it will receive that soulbond etb, at which point you can respond with removal

i was actually wrong since i forgot that you have to put the soulbond trigger on stack every time you flicker (no one plays that creature in my group)
>>
>>50928158
Putting cards you don't need back into the library and progressing forward?
>>
>>50928404
I'm just thinking of draw as wasted library when you don't need every card. What is blue even looking for, djinn?
>>
>>50928722
Oh you're absolutely right. I looked at the formatting of the card and the flicker effect is all one trigger.
Yeah, the soulbond trigger is the correct timing.
>>
>>50928663
Well, Xenagos is the first "good" deck a certain group of people build, and you're right, it's very boom or bust. Xenagos has a few magical christmasland combos that either require a good board state or a ton of open mana/cards in your hand to win, and otherwise you're left durdling. Really, once your playgroup starts packing instant speed enchantment exile for W, he gets significantly worse.
>>
>>50928607
That is pretty great.
>>
>>50928722
Is there a generic rule you can't respond to a mana ability?
>>
>>50928761
Is not better than drawing cards.
>>
>>50928502
And a brago stax list would have the game locked down by turn 6.

If the spike deck doesnt have the expensive good cards that make a deck competitive there's no reason to fear it.
>>
>>50929212
Sure every situation is happening at once. Is this a spike?
>>
>>50928502
Ramping into a tooth and nail isnt very good.

Spikey, sure, but tooth and nail decks aren't super great
>>
>>50928783
You always need every card you draw because options are better then not having options.

Do you honestly think mill is good enough to warrant a desire to not draw cards?
>>
>>50929181
Yes. But what does that have to do with anything here?
>>
>>50929270
Someone said that scrying was better than drawing. It literally isn't, ever. That's what I'm talking about. What is wrong with you?
>>
File: 1482734041320.png (874KB, 909x541px) Image search: [Google]
1482734041320.png
874KB, 909x541px
This is more of a "that store" kind of story

>some game store about an hour away has sanctioned edh events and decide to try my new deck there
>call the store
>says there is a good turnout
>sweet
>three friends decide to come along with me
>drive an hour and a half to get there
>2 people sitting with edh decks awkwardly shuffling
>strike up a conversation with them but are to spergy to continue
>2 more guys show up fists full of fast food
>say they are waiting on last player
>15 yo girl walks in holding an unsleeved right out the box starter deck
>nothing wrong with that
>every single fucking male in the room bolts up and runs over to her
>shes clearly a regular by the way everyone is talking to her
>even head judge is distracted by a girl
>fifteen years old
>tournament is already an hour late
>she says shes hungery
>speed of light every guy starts saying theyll buy her a pizza
>two of them literally argue over who is getting this little girl pizza
>one of them was like 48 who had a fedora with cog glued to it
>spergs run out the door trying to find a pizza place
>owner come over
>"sorry we are starting so late maybe you guys could start now?"
>look at him and say "youre telling me I drove 1 1/2 and payed money to play my own friends so a bunch of you can feel good about getting a little girl pizza?"
>blank stares
>starts sperging out about how sorry he was or whatever
>win the event
>spergs complain about combo
>take my prize and go home

No joke I'm going back tomorrow with the most degenerate deck and I have athirst for virgin tears
>>
>>50928502
>whether you intend to have fun
>or make a beeline for a wincon

You know anon, if you weren't such a filthy casual that is afraid of competition you would maybe realize, that winning is more often than not fun. Even more so, if there is someone at the table that wants the same and puts up a real fight instead of whining when you touch their precious boardstate.

Also you have obivously no idea about competitive commander decks.
>Brago Stax
Seriously? That's the boogeyman people at the kitche table tell tales about?

>>50925590
>convenient dream scenario where you have three cards and your opponent only two
>conveniently you got all the mana for Malignus and protection without playing broken ramp because that is something only spikes do
>conveniently he does not have non U removal

Yeah no, you are just making stuff up and are a fucking faggot who believes his way of playing "Timmy the Board Stalling" is the only way to play.
I would love to sit down at your table and show you what a real spike can do to your wet dreams of big stupid beaters.
>>
>>50929181
605.3b, to be specific.
>>
>>50929337
Deadeye Navigator blink ability is a mana ability posters were considering responding to? It was what the conversation was about.
>>
>>50928783
...what?

How is it 'wasted'? If the card isn't useful in this matchup for some reason, it's not any more useful in your library than it is in your hand.
>>
>>50929375
>has sanctioned edh events
No they don't. Commander isn't a sanctionable format.
>>
>>50929425
You dont know what a mana ability is, do you?
>>
>>50929443
well then what the fuck did they tell me i was playing in jesus christ fucking pedos im so salty right now
>>
>>50929408
>>>/r/nothingeverhappens

Brago is good tho senpai.
>>
>>50929425
A mana ability is not 'an ability which costs mana' (common misconception!), but an ability which GENERATES mana (and also is not targeted, or a loyalty ability, but that's neither here nor there). Deadeye's ability is a regular old activated ability, and it can be responded to.

The trick with Deadeye is to kill it in response to the Soulbond trigger, because it doesn't have that blink ability unless it's soulbonded.
>>
>>50929408
kid you don't even know what a spike is, why are you even posting
>>
>>50929489
Fuck you, mark
>>
Is there a way in mono black to turn noncreature permanents into creatures of let my opponents sac noncreature permanents?
>>
>>50929472
I should clarify: They can 'sanction' it as a Casual event, meaning you get exactly one Planeswalker Point for being in it, regardless of your placement in the event, and that's a Lifetime point rather than a Seasonal point. It won't help you towards byes for a current GP season, etc.

"Sanctionable" just means that they can run it as a true sanctioned event, giving actual PWP for participation and based on placement (FNMs, scheduled events, GPs, GPTs, etc). They can RUN an event (collect entry fees, give out prizes, etc) without sanctioning one.
>>
>>50929509
None I can think of. There's ways to turn artifacts or enchantments into creatures, but none in mono-black.
>>
>>50929358
When is the card you don't need anymore better taking up space in your hand than at the bottom of your library?
>>
>>50929538
When your opponent is playing Discard. That's about all I can think of.
>>
>>50929447
I thought it was one that could be activated as many times as you had the mana for, as opposed to tapping it once
>>
>>50929532
too bad, then I'll have to use gate to phyrexia to get rid of artifacts at least
>>
>>50929636
See >>50929489
>>
>>50929679
Yeah I posted in past tense
>>
>>50929375
Is Wort somebody's waifu
>>
>>50922107
>1 damage if it's tapped during your upkeep
>1 damage
>I'd kill myself more often than not with it

Sure you're not confusing vault for crypt?
>>
>>50921179
Honestly, why people even play decks that are so centered around the commander? that's just wrong. Kaalia, Narset.. they will, without fail, be controlled and lose the game.
>>
>>50929247
This.
Teysa can win turn 1 but not everyone has Lion's Eye Diamond.
>>
>>50929538
Being able to discard it is better than it being in your library.
Also, still being able to cast it is better then not being able to cast it. What card would become literally useless when you dont need it? What cards are you talking about thay would honestly be better in your library?
>>
>>50929472
The only true sanctioned formats are Standard and Limited. I think Modern ins't in the WPN anymore and needs to be run as "Casual Magic" on the software, which as said before gives you 1 measly lifetime point.
>>
>>50929643
There's always Nevy's Disk.
>>
>>50929884
Those two examples are pretty bad decks anyways. So. They deserve to lose.
>>
>>50929484
No. Brago is a glass cannon deck with the most easily disrupted strategy out there. Spike is to Brago as Xenagos is to spike-crushing decks. If Brago can land combat damage, you've probably lost already, but by the time you've pulled your schtick a couple times, people just yawn and remove him. By the time they're casting Brago for 8 mana, there really isn't anything to fear.
>>
>>50929995
Yeah, as i said.. any deck that is too centered in one card, even if it's the commander, deserves to love. Except maybe if the commander is 2-3 manas, so it's more reliable.
>>
>>50929489
I thought tapping to generate mana was an activated ability, which I don't even have as much trouble thinking about as activated abilities that do not tap the creature but can still be responded to? Like I am able to lightning bolt a creature in response to it tapping an elf for mana to increase its toughness, but I can't bolt the elf before it taps?
>>
>>50929884
I wouldn't say 'without fail', considering Narset has Hexproof. Usually decks are built around the Commander because it's a lot easier to consistently win with a 2 card combo when you have guaranteed access to one of them.
>>
>>50929966
I was thinking of mono blue but am I really out to cast every counterspell?
>>
>>50929970
Incorrect. The list of sanctionable formats are Standard, Draft, Sealed, Legacy, Vintage, Team Unified Constructed, Block Constructed, Team Booster Draft, and Team Sealed Deck.
>>
>>50929884
>just using generic goodstuff instead of building your deck around your commander

Why even bother playing?
>>
>>50930075
You're not, because you can't answer every threat.

That said, would you really rather have an 'extra' counterspell in your hand, or on the bottom of your library? It doesn't hurt you -at all- to have the card actually in your hand, outside of very few corner cases.
>>
>>50930027
Lmao. One of the best stasis decks in the format is a glass cannon.

I'll admit its way worse since the Vancouver change, but he's by no mean bad. Or even mediocre.
>>
>>50930040
No. An ability that makes mana without targeting or being a loyalty ability is a mana ability. (it is also an activated ability) mana abilities are special activated abilities that do not use the stack and cannot he responded to.
>>
>>50930027
Oh, are we playing the Christmasland argument?

No shit Brago's not scary when you're tapping out for him every time you can cast him, with zero protection, and your opponents all have infinite mana and removal.
>>
>>50930153
Technically it's any activated ability that doesn't target, is not a loyalty ability, and could add mana to a mana pool as it resolves, OR any triggered ability meeting the same criteria which triggers from an activated mana ability.
>>
>>50930099
Well how about all these islands then?
>>
>>50930040
You cannot respond to them tapping the elf for mana.
>>
>>50930166
Still better than not having them in your hand, breh.

You can play them.
>>
>>50930168
I can't bolt it before the mana generates? I just have to do it before they ever say, or can they tap in response to being bolted?
>>
>>50921865
anyone?
>>
>>50930166
Are they hurting you in your hand? No, they fucking aren't. If you have 3 Islands in your hand alongside 3 playable cards, at absolute worst you know you won't be missing the next 3 land drops. If you're already good on land, you can hold onto them to start rebuilding after an Armageddon effect if those are prevalent in your meta. You can also hold them to bluff having more answers than you have.

Outside of a VERY small subset of corner cases, having 3 "mostly dead" cards in your hand is preferable to having them on the bottom of your library.
>>
>>50930185
>I can't bolt it before the mana generates? I just have to do it before they ever say, or can they tap in response to being bolted?

What part of 'mana abilities do not use the stack and cannot be responded to' are you not understanding?
>>
>>50930081
No; make your deck around a 'theme' that your commander is part of. I manage to win quite consistently with an Ertai deck because of that; countering, creating creatures, reanimating, drawing.. it is all working as one thing and Ertai is just part of it. He helps without the deck relying on him.

Again, i'm not saying a more centered deck won't work, but if you're counting that you will have a 4-6 manas commander early/mid game, you're wrong. Make it 2-3 manas.
>>
>>50930185
No you cant. And there's nothing stopping them from making the mana even if you try and bolt itm
>>
>>50930040
MOST mana abilities are activated abilities (a few are triggers that fire from activated mana abilities, like Mirari's Wake), but that doesn't change the fact that they don't use the stack and can't be responded to.

If someone tapped a Prodigal Pyromancer, you could respond to the ability, but not to the tapping, because you can't respond to a cost being paid.

If someone tapped a Boreal Druid for mana, you can't respond -at all- because it's a mana ability that doesn't use the stack and immediately resolves. There's no point in the activation of that ability where you get priority to respond. You can respond to the ability or spell they're putting the mana into, but you can't respond to them tapping it for mana.
>>
>>50930182
>>50930198
I'm just saying I can scry away an extra land for that good creature that next draw might be
>>
>>50930122
>>50930154
I've built the fabled "Brago Artifact Stax" deck, filled to the brim with tutors and bullshit effects to lock down the board very quickly. Like I said, while it can win, if brago can't deal combat damage, you aren't going to do anything, even if you lock down the board, because so much of the deck is dedicated to comboing off with brago and strionic. The deck is incredibly boring to pilot, and draws an inordinate amount of hate. This isn't some legendary pub-stomper deck like Prosh, this is more of a 1v1 "grind out a win in an elaborately long scenario" kind of deck. The second you're playing multiplayer, you're going to have a bad time, because everyone knows exactly what you're going to do.

Personally, Ghave is a much stronger combo commander, and Derevi is almost a straight upgrade over Brago for control, but different strokes for different folks. I play in a pretty serious meta. Over time deck wound up being a UW artifact deck that was much more effective in every way, with a splash of brago combos for the unprepared. Brago in other decks can be hilarious, keep that in mind.
>>
>>50930185
This man is fucking autistic
>>
>>50930245
Yes, you can.

And if the debate is over Scry 2 vs Draw 2, the draw is fucking better. Both of them let you dig 2 cards down. Both put you closer to the 'good card' that's the 4th card down. One of them puts 2 cards into your hand, one of them puts 0.

Drawing N cards is objectively fucking stronger than Scrying N cards you slope-browed, knuckle-dragging mongoloid fuck.
>>
>>50930249
See, there is a world of fucking difference between "The deck is built with 1v1 in mind and it's miserable to pilot against 3 opponents" and "the deck is bad because removal".
>>
>>50930249
Lmao Derevi is literally bad right now, bruh.

That's how I know you dont know what youre talking about.
>>
>>50929995
They're not bad decks, they're very good decks that attract griefer type players who believe themselves to be good and try to win off the power of money.
>>
>>50930245
And drawing that land from a spell does the exact same thing as scrying it away. Except now you have more cards in your hand to do stuff with
>>
>>50930279
There's also the fact that he's still wrong.

Stax decks in general aren't really "pub stomp" decks, since they're not great against midrange decks, but that doesnt make Brago stop being an excellent deck.
>>
>>50930210
>>50930241
Okay so if a mana rock gets shrapnel blasted can it be tapped for mana before destruction?
>>
>>50930279
Semantics anon. Brago is bad because he folds to removal, and makes you rely on other strategies that have nothing to do with him. I was running fancy things like Alexi's Cloak and I still had a bad time because, like Narset, the deck is so completely dependent on the commander that it's almost nonfunctional without it. This is why I like Derevi more, by having access to green, you can compete with just about anything your opponents are going to throw at you. Personally, Brago is incredibly strong in Esper control, because tons of black things have vicious ETBs and most people arent expecting to see Brago pop up.

>>50930285
In order to get a serious response, you need to type like an adult, bruh.
>>
>>50930213
Eh, I disagree.

I agree wholeheartedly that the best way to build decks is to build with the Commander in mind, but such that the deck is still fully functional WITHOUT the Commander.

I disagree with 'counting on a 4-6 mana commander makes you wrong', because Zur and Rafiq and Kaalia and Narset are well-known pubstomp Commanders. You can absolutely 'consistently' pubstomp with a 6 mana Commander, you just have to not be a retard that taps out against a field of untapped lands with no protection for it on turns 6, 8, 10, and 12.
>>
>>50930267
One is way cheaper
>>
>>50930296
Kaalia is mediocre at best and Narset is practically unplayable in a spikey environment because drawing the wrong half of your deck in your opener decides the game for the Narset player now instead of sculpting with the former mulligan rule.
>>
plz tell me what to do with this deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/leave-my-planeswalkers-alone/
>>
>>50930341
> Brago is bad because he folds to removal
This is a stupid argument.
>>
>>50930335
Of course it can you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>50930357
yes it is, but that's not the debate.
>>
>>50930366
>Brago is bad because he folds to removal... (and)
>the deck is so completely dependent on the commander that it's almost nonfunctional without it.
Fixed that for you anon. That's a completely different argument.
>>
>>50930392
Which is better? The cheaper one?
>>
>>50930325
I do believe that anon said:
>This isn't some legendary pub-stomper deck like Prosh, this is more of a 1v1 "grind out a win in an elaborately long scenario" kind of deck.

Which is exactly what you said. Nice try, I can tell you've improved your skills.
>>
>>50930380
So the damn elf can explode into mana even when I bolt it first
>>
>>50930405
See, if we're talking about "is it more efficient to Scry 3 or to Draw 3, given the availability of effects and the costs" that's an entirely different question than "is drawing N cards or Scrying N cards stronger".
>>
>>50930341
>in order to get a serious response, type like an adult

Ok. Derevi is bad, and has been bad for months. Because Derevi is a bad card without any enablers and Brago is just am enabler himself.
In Derevi if you don't draw Edric/bident/coastal piracy, you fucking lose. Because the h8 bear/stax piece amount is lower then in other decks because you still need to attack with creatures for anything to work. So. Derevi is prone to drawing the wrong half of your deck without the broken mulligan rules of yesteryear.

Stop being wrong and play with these decks more, bruh
>>
>>50930427
>Bolt it first
You're not bolting it 'first'. Your spell does not just immediately resolve as soon as you cast it.

You cast your spell, and pass priority to your opponent to allow them to respond. They respond by tapping their Elf for mana. Then after another round of priority passing, your spell resolves.

Do you not know what priority is? Do you honestly think that spells just immediately happen as soon as they're cast?
>>
>>50930430
Strength is not effeciency? Dear me.
>>
>>50930443
An instant, yeah
>>
>>50930427
Kill yourself
>>
>>50930434
You do realize that the traditional way to play Derevi is to lock things down, then recast him on the cheap over and over again for easy flying damage into a soft board state, right?

Methinks your advice is a tad bit ironic.
>>
>>50930447
Flesh to Dust is 'stronger' than Doom Blade because it can hit more things, but most people would consider Doom Blade a better card overall because it's still very good at just 2 mana.

A card which Scrys 3 might be a better card than something that Draws 3, based on their mana costs. It might not. It depends on what those costs are. But Draw 3 is inarguably a stronger standalone effect than Scry 3.
>>
>>50930468
"Instant" does not mean "instantly resolves". It just means that you can cast it any time you have priority, rather than the 'normal' timing restriction of "Only when you have priority during your own main phase and the stack is empty" for non-Instant, non-Flash spells.
>>
I know it's a bit late but out of all the 2016 commander which is your favourite?

For me it's Yidris because of how fun Cascade is. Even though he is not that amazing of a commander
>>
>>50930476
>then recast him
Derevi is female.
>>
>>50930416
Lmao that isn't what I said you fucking freak.
Brago isnt a pub stomp deck, but he's extremely competitive. And he beats entire tables, not just 1v1s (having multiple opponents makes it easier to connect with brago). He's not a pub stomp deck because he's not primarily a fast combo deck. He beats fast combo decks.

That anon said Brago was bad. I said he was good. Thanks for lying about what I said you shitter.
>>
>>50930285
who is good right now then?
not him genuine question
>>
>>50930496
I guess this was the old thinking of spells happening, "as an interrupt"
>>
>>50930512
A pubstomp is not 'a fast combo deck'. A pubstomp deck is one that shits on 'normal' decks (things built to 75%, for example) pretty handily, but is itself obliterated by truly broken things like Doomsday or Ooze Combo.
>>
>>50930507
Shhh, it's nice people call her him
>>
>>50930528
Except that's not even how it worked when interrupts existed eighteen fucking years ago. Interrupts didn't just immediately happen, they could still be responded to, it just had to be with another Interrupt.
>>
>>50930210
>mana abilities do not use the stack and cannot be responded to

I have a question about this. I know that split second can't respond to mana abilities but it prevents other abilities/spells from being activated, can you respond before split second occurs with the mana abilities or does it not go onto the stack/fizzle until split second has resolved?
>>
File: 1481245031587.jpg (81KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1481245031587.jpg
81KB, 500x334px
>>50930512
You seem to be triggered by the word "pubstomp", yet you don't know what it means. A deck that consistently beats normal decks, but loses to extremely degenerate nonsense like Tazri, Doomsday, or Scion Hermit Druid. For example Prosh may seem good, but he's far to slow to be actually competitive. He's still strong enough to make a casual playgroup cry, but those are two different things.
>>
>>50926932
Got a friend who's a rather cheeky cunt with this card. Hate it more than any other card in the game on principle to this day.
>>
>>50930539
And Brago can beat Doomsday and nooze decks. He can beat them just fine a decent amount of the time.

Because Brago is in the league with those competitive decks you're talking about when you say doomsday and nooze.
>>
>>50930562
Split Second keeps you from casting spells or activating abilities while it's on the stack... with the exception of mana abilities. It's 100% fine to activate mana abilities while a spell with Split Second is on the stack.
>>
File: skeptical-woman.jpg (426KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical-woman.jpg
426KB, 1440x900px
>>50930589
It's okay to like a deck or commander, but you're just delusional right now. Brago will NEVER win t4, outside of extremely specific magical christmasland.
>>
>>50930572
>extremely degenerate shit like Tazri
I've heard about Tazri being degenerate in passing before; can you elaborate? My old roommate had a Tazri deck that made me want to rip my fucking hair out, but I was convinced I was just a scrublord.
>>
>>50930434
>Ok. Derevi is bad, and has been bad for months. Because Derevi is a bad card without any enablers and Brago is just am enabler himself.
If you want to compare Commanders compare Brago to Roon, and guess what Anon? Roon is much better Commander because A) Roon is a respectable body in it's own right B) You can use Roon to stop decks that relis on counters of any king C) Roon is also in the colour of Bant which gives you more flexability when building your deck, and finally D) Roon is a Rhino Solider while Brago isn't
>>
>>50930589
So he's in the same tier as the most degenerate decks in the format, and in fact can beat them 'a decent amount of the time', but is unplayable trash because it's not a fast combo deck.

Okay.
>>
>>50930572
Youre fucking retarded. Food Chain Prossh is just as degenerate as HD, FCT, or DD zur

And HD scion isn't even good. It's just the best boogeyman
>>
File: Image.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
I wish I had known about this card sooner. I jammed it into my Korlash reanimator deck and holy shit, it puts in work. Black has so very few haste enablers.

So worth the $1 for the foil version.
>>
Borderlands Marauder or Speedway Fanatic?
>>
>>50930620
Brago is a stax deck anon, those beat fast combo decks, ya know.

And a decent amount of the time is all you need in a four player pod. You do know that if youre playing with competent people your win rate in a 4 man pod wont be super high, right?
>>
>>50930626
>Youre fucking retarded. Food Chain Prossh is just as degenerate as HD, FCT, or DD zur

It's not, though. Prossh is a pubstomp deck. It's not one of the high tier things, and will get eaten fucking alive by those degenerate decks because they'll win on turn 4 before you even cast Prossh once. Outside of a god hand, you're not going to combo out with Prossh before turn 5 consistently.
>>
File: really.jpg (52KB, 464x276px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
52KB, 464x276px
>>50930626
>Youre fucking retarded. Food Chain Prossh is just as degenerate as HD, FCT, or DD zur
Well, today's been fun. Shitposting is officially at maximum density.
>>
>>50930616
Youre right anon, Brago pales in comparison to the rhino.
>>
>>50930659
Okay, I'm confused. We've gone from Brago being unplayable trash because he's vulnerable to removal, to being the most degenerate deck in the game, to being a pubstomp deck because it can't beat degenerate combo decks, to being degenerate because it's stax, as well as "Well no shit Brago sucks in multi it's a 1v1 deck" to "No it can win in multi it's even easier because there's more players that might be open" to "Your win rate in a 4 man pod is terrible"

I think if you move the goalposts any more it'll register on the fucking richter scale.
>>
If I wanted to make a deck just based around flooding the table with as many tokens as possible, what generals should I be considering?
>>
>>50930666
What the hell? What do you think prossh decks run? Why would you be casting prossh so late? Or not be able to keep up with decks that your deck should keep up with just fine.

>>50930667
Methinks you dont play any competitive EDH anon. FCT and FCP are almost the same deck. Why would Prossh be so poor?
>>
>>50930606
Sure anon, check this out.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/food-chain-tazri/

There's a good summary on the tappedout, but the gist of it is, get infinite mana, find Kalastria Healer, then recast tazri over and over until you win. It's really quite degenerate, but very expensive to build well.
>>
>>50930706
krenko

rhys
>>
>>50930692
Brago is fine, he is neither top tier not trash tier. He is a well situated tier 1.5 general that is better then most average tabletop decks, but needs skill to win amongst the best of the best.

That's all really.
>>
>>50930723
I think that a Prossh deck can 'reliably' win on turn 6, and can sometimes win on turn 5 if it's running a ton of ramp.

In no universe can a Prossh deck consistently win through disruption sooner than turn 6.
>>
>>50930728
>Food Chain Tazri
Okay, I'm just a shitlord scrub. His deck was just Tazri Allies.dec, but it had the nasty tendency to go from "That's not a bad board state" to "you win" in the course of one turn.
>>
>>50930738
>>50930692
I second the opinion that brago is t1.5, and generally not optimal, but far from garbage water.
>>
>>50930743
Youre literally just wrong about that.
>>
>>50930761
Oh, Brago's FAR from garbage water. He's a fine Commander for sure, and can easily be built to Pubstomp strengths.

He's just not Tier 1 cutthroat.
>>
>>50930776
Okay, why don't you tell me exactly how a Prossh deck consistently wins through disruption on turn 3?
>>
>>50930728
>posting a list from a Commie.

Fuck you anon, find a different one.
>>
>>50930793
>literally the first search result
I don't pay attention to things.
>>
>>50930706

Gruul wort, marath, krenko, purphoros, ghave, Gisa, sultai Sidisi, talrand, Trostani, Rhys, oviya pashiri
>>
>>50930792
I dont have a list handy, but I'm sure it could be done. Some combination of dorks/rocks + tutor into food chain isnt unlikely at all. Turn 4 is even more consistent. And its not as if the other decks named are really legendary status because they can win thay early through disruption.

Do you know how long competitive games last, Anon.
>>
>>50930356
>Zur and Rafiq and Kaalia and Narset are well-known pubstomp Commanders
only when no one tries to stop them. You shouldn't play assuming your main strategy will work, and that "go for it" rationality that i think is wrong. If you do nothing but try to cast your commander/protect your cast, you're wasting turns. At that point, even if the strategy works, it will most likely be ineffective because you had to put cards to defend your combos instead of making the combos themselves, and the opponents will have other ways to deal with it.
>>
>>50930761
He is one of the best Azorius commanders, but the deck has limitations and is limited in certain options.

I would build it as the "competitive" deck for my casual group. He really is a kind of 75% version of Roon, both blink, Roon just has another color and easier time blinking. Brago can blink more, but it requires more risk and planning, easier to disrupt.

Simple is as simple does.
>>
what's the best way of going about getting cyclonic rift banned in my group? like i want to make my group hate it so much that they will ban it forever. some kind of flicker themed deck where i recur archeomancer and cast an overloaded cyclonic rift every turn?
>>
>>50923164
p-please respond
>>
>>50930816
Commies have the top search result, fuck me.
>>
>>50930841
>but I'm sure it could be done.
That's not what I asked. I didn't ask for a bullshit theoretical 'well maybe if you drew some rocks and dorks' explanation. I want you to map out for me exactly how you consistently win with a 3 mana enchantment and a 6 mana creature on turn 3, through disruption.
>>
>>50930842
>only when no one tries to stop them
...yes?

Pubstomp does not mean unbeatable. It just means that they can very quickly knock out 'average' decks because they can go from Zero to Whoopass very quickly.
>>
>tfw resolved possibility storm for the first time
>one person flipped their shit
>one was ok with it
>one thought it was funny

W..well.. it was not as fun as I expected, everyone kind of quit after a few turns..
>>
>>50930854
You sit down with your group and discuss that you find Cyclonic Rift a really unfun card, and want to discuss a houserule ban on it.
>>
>>50928464
Is redirection prevention?
>>
>>50930866
>>50923164
Maybe in 1v1 commander (duel commander) but trying to be like latern control in a multiplayer game is just dumb. You'll be everyone's target and you /will/ die.
>>
>>50930878
Dorks/rocks + tutor isnt good enough for you? You know what these cards do right? And you know how many of them are in the deck?

Do you even run gate creeper vine in your prossh deck? (that sounds like I'm memeing but I'm honestly not.
>>
>>50930841
Outside of magical Christmas land Prosh isn't going off till turns 6-7 if a Teferi deck is on the table, especially is a Yisan Is keeping him honest as well.

Source: plays Teferi Lockdown, get triggered

>>50930866
Nebuchadnezzar with telepathy effects and top of deck viewers. But unless your going 1v1 its generally not a solid strategy, its hard to lock down 4 players consistently. Plus people target you just for slowing down the game.
>>
>>50930943
>Dorks/rocks + tutor isnt good enough for you?
No, it isn't. Because I'm asking you how, specifically, you can CONSISTENTLY get out a 6 mana creature and a 3 mana enchantment, plus a way to turn their infinite-mana interaction into a win, by turn 3, through disruption. Saying "ramp and tutor lol" is not acceptable, because that doesn't tell me what plays you CONSISTENTLY plan to make.
>>
>>50930909
there's a blue apologist who vehemently defends it so there's no way to do that until i show him how fucked it is to play against it
>>
>>50930866
I don't think it is, man. There's not really enough effects to do a 99 card singleton the way you can do a 60 card 4-of for Lantern, it scales terribly in multiplayer, and in 1v1 you'd be eaten alive long before you got your pseudo-lock ready.
>>
>>50930948
Prossh just kind of loses to those revokers in yisan, anyways (so does tazri)
>>
>>50930943
>Dorks/rocks + tutor
You're forgetting that dorks can't be tapped the turn they come out, sometimes rocks etb tapped, and tutors often cost a lot of mana. That being said, assuming you magical christmasland your hand, the second someone makes you discard something or counters something, your plan is fucked.

The decks people are saying are t1 win consistently THROUGH REMOVAL. As in, people use removal, and it just can't stop them. Prosh can't do that no matter how hard you wish he could.
>>
>>50930489
I just don't have as much experience with edh as I do other formats
>>
>>50930616
>wanting to be a dumb Rhino instead of a smooth fucking ghost king
get out of my fucking sight, Brago is the coolest
>>
>>50931042
I know what rocks, dorks, and tutors are anon, and you'd still be fine with casting them and then also winning. Even through disruption.
The real question o have for you is (I'd answer you if I wasnt on mobile) what kind of prossh list do you think I'm talking about?
>>
>>50931093
>Phone poster listing stupid opinions.
Colour me surprised. Go on, type out 2 seperate t4 magical christmasland prosh combos. I'll wait. I'm willing to bet they're full of moving parts and are incredibly janky.
>>
>>50931084
Outside of 'competitive' 1v1 games, mana efficiency is less of a problem because games go longer. Because of the longer games and the singleton nature, flexibility and reusability are more important than sheer efficiency; Hero's Downfall is better than Murder because it can hit Planeswalkers. Cards with Buyback are better than the cheaper non-buyback equivalent because you can reuse them, etc.
>>
>>50929408
Don't forget the Trample out of Nowhere on Malingus.
>>
>>50930984
peregrine drake, mnemomic wall and ghostly flicker will finish the combo you want to do, vedalken aethermage and muddle the mixture will get you your combo pieces. Also you can just isochron scepter it.
>>
>>50931220
>>50931220
New thread's up.
>>
Who are the most Spike-Melvin commanders? I'm interested in commanders that are mechanically interesting while also being viable in fairly competitive groups. Marath, for example.
>>
>>50930923
>>50928464
Redirection isn't prevention. Different type of replacement. You might be confusung this carx with something like Comeuppance.
>>
>>50926736
Containment Priest/Hallowed Moonlight

Shimmer myr + torpor orb
>>
>>50928542
You kill it in response to the Soulbond trigger, not after it has already become bonded. Soulbond itself is an ETB, respond to it.
>>
>>50929375
>sanctioned EDH events

Stopped reading there. You deserved whatever shitty/uncomfortable situation that happened to you.
>>
>>50930522
The only agreed upon competitive decks are doomsday combo which don't even use their general and hermit combo which traditionally was scion of the ur dragon but to my understanding that's not even good anymore.

One of the many reasons people should be laughed at for trying to make this format competitive.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.