[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 65

File: s-l1000.jpg (36KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
36KB, 360x500px
There's A Fungus Among Us Edition

Old Thread: >>50921129

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
Who's your favorite commander and why do you like them so much?
>>
File: GAAIV.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
GAAIV.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
>>50931220
>Who's your favorite commander and why do you like them so much?
I AM THE LAW.
>>
File: Emrakul-the-Promised-End-MtG-Art.jpg (517KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Emrakul-the-Promised-End-MtG-Art.jpg
517KB, 1080x1350px
>>50931220

I like taking everyone's turns, forever...

Or just smashing people in the face for 26 commander damage.

I've been waiting to have Emrakul in the commander zone since she was banned, its good to have her back.
>>
>>50931327
I've never noticed that Emrakul looks like a vagina. A tentacle vagina. Is she popular in japan?
>>
>>50931220
Favorite Commander, specifically? Probably Reaper King or Treva. Reaper King because it's just a goofy concept (THE KING OF THE SCARECROWS), I like the 5 color artifact that I don't actually need colored mana for design, and Lorwyn's megablock was my favorite block.

Treva is just because it was the first Commander I ever built, so, memories.
>>
How do you build a good 3c manabase?

I have the mechanics of making a good deck down, but i have no fucking clue how manabases work. I just shove in various manarocks/land fixing and call it a day. What about manafixing on a budget? I just don't want to spend $100 on lands for a deck when there are so many fancy creatures I could buy.
>>
File: animar.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
animar.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>50931220
I love vomiting out my hand, and it lets me play Mystic Snake as much as I want.
>>
>>50931220

My current joy is Tana and Tymna.

I really wanted to build just Tana, but I felt that I'd be wasting the partner effect. The obvious choice was probably the guy with flanking, but then I figured if I'm making saprolings, why not draw cards with Tymna? Getting white and Black gets me shit like Fallen Ideal, Cathars Crusade, and Hatred. It's pretty fucking rad.
>>
>>50931350
>I've never noticed that Emrakul looks like a vagina.
Her vagina look sways many neckbeards into letting me control their turns...

> Is she popular in japan?
She's in Poorontier so I'm sure they like her.
>>
>>50931396
Put in all 9 fetches you can run. Put in all 3 shocks, all 3 duals. That's 15 lands right there. Command Tower is number 16. Put in a good smattering of basics, your Triland if applicable, and some good other two-lands. Put in a few rocks (ideally the ones that can tap for any color, like Ingot, and some Signets maybe). If in green, put in a few land ramp cards.

ON a budget? That's tougher.
>>
>>50931403
>Four color Saproling deck with basically zero interaction between the partners
>>
>>50931220
Breya is my fotm. She can do so much and plays great control while also being resilient to boardwipes. I also love how the endgame combos feel like a rube goldberg machine.
>>
>>50931491
>my fotm
That's a weird way to spell "The".
>>
>>50931396
9 fetches
3 duals
3 shocks
4 rainbow lands usually (city of brass, mana confluence, gemstone mine, command tower)
3 basics is usually safe, sometimes you want less in a combo deck
Usually 1 strip mine, 1 wasteland, sometimes 1 ghost quarter depending on meta.

Throw in other random shite like fastlands etc. to fill it out. Don't run anything that enters tapped unless it's like boseiju or something, don't run too many basics.

Number of rocks/dorks/ramp spells/lands depends on your archetype.
>>
Who are the most Spike-Melvin commanders? I'm interested in commanders that are mechanically interesting while also being viable in fairly competitive groups. Marath, for example.

>posted in old thread before I saw it died, so crossposting this here
>>
Derevi is cute and I'm trying to build a deck that doesn't just tap opponents' stuff or steal things, maybe just put pants on her and untap islands for counterspells. I have a ton of wizards for Azami, some with Inspired and even Paragon of Gathering Mist is a wizard. Should I just put in big monsters?
>>
File: 209.jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
209.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
>>50931518
Yisan is top tier in multiplayer and there are a lot of cool tricks you can do with him (i.e. adding the counter is part of the cost, so you can hold priority and use untap effects to "skip" a certain CMC and double/triple/quadruple another).
>>
>>50931518
what the fuck is a spike-melvin

pretty sure i'm classified as a spike-timmy-johnny since i like creature based aggressive decks that are very well optimized and run a lot of synergy and value plays with etbs
>>
>>50931513
>>50931475
>9 fetches
>3 duals
>3 shocks
Now, let's suppose I only have like one or two of the appropriate shock lands available. I have things like mana confluence and command tower, but honestly, I use primarily basics and build land-ramp decks with green to fish the colours I need.

The problem I'm having is that I invested heavily in the non-land part of my decks, in an attempt to save money. Should I just start slowly investing in fancy lands, or is there some way to get around it?
>>
>>50931573
You can get around it to an extent- there's a large amount of acceptable cheaper/uncommon mana fixing, it's just slower and not as efficient. If you're not in a super cutthroat meta you can get by with that for now, it's just... less good.

Ideally you really want to get a good mana base. It doesn't matter how good your deck is if your mana base isn't consistent enough to use your cards.
>>
In a colorless deck is it worth running Wastes for Extra Planar Lense and Burnished Hart?

Are there any other cards that Wastes unlock?
>>
>>50931562
>i like creature based aggressive decks that are very well optimized and run a lot of synergy and value plays with etbs
That is only a Spike. Timmy likes fuckhuge things, Johnny likes assembling combos, Dave has fun when no one has fun, Vorthos is the flavor guy, and Melvin is the opposite of vorthos. The keywords for a Spike are "efficiency" "value" and "I like to win".
>>
>>50931573
Lands are the most important part of any deck. If I had $1000 to spend on a budget deck, I'd spend $950 on the lands.

They are absolutely the best thing to ever purchase in magic and are the most important cards in any deck. I would strongly encourage you to invest. I've had friends build $2000 decks with Nether Voids, Tabernacles, etc. that are just totally crippled by their lack of duals.
>>
File: 635032498905786080.jpg (49KB, 640x622px) Image search: [Google]
635032498905786080.jpg
49KB, 640x622px
Can I get some CC on my Korlash reanimator deck?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/korlash-reanimator/

There are some cards that I'm trying out in here like Grim Harvester and Bloodchief/Mindcrank combo. Grim Harvester has put in work before and I love it's triple B for devotion purposes.

There a few cards I want to add, but either I dont have them for costs reasons (gravepact/entomb) and such. I really wanna add Grim Betrayal but I need to get my hands on it first.
>>
>>50931607
It's 'worth' running Wastes just to make shit less complicated. Prior to having Wastes you had to force yourself to run a bunch of random cards for basically no reason other than "These are your options".
>>
>>50931606
>>50931616
Really? Well, that sucks, because I have next to no quality lands. While I rarely get manafucked, I can see how having a more efficient manabase would let me cut a metric ton of stupid durdly artifacts. I usually run 10+ ramp/mana fixing cards just to make sure I get what I need.
>>
>>50931608
Not quite. "Dave" is a sort of made up thing, while Vorthos and Melvin are an axis separate from S/T/J.

Spike plays to prove something.

Johnny plays to express something.

Timmy plays to experience something.
>>
>>50931682
Like I said, you can make some cheaper rares and uncommons work rather than having mostly basics, but I'd definitely look into picking up more shocks and fetches (duals are good, but very expensive) as you go along.
>>
>>50931562
Melvin likes mechanically interesting cards, such as Birthing Pod, Hangerback Walker, and Trading Post. Trading Post is pretty Vorthos too though I guess.
>>
>>50931488

>one commander makes tokens when you attack players
>one commander draws cards for each player you attack

How is that not interaction?
>>
>>50931685
>>50931608
Also, it's not so much that Melvin and Vorthos are 'opposites'.

Vorthos finds beauty in flavor, whether that be the art, the story, how all the pieces of the card come together; the common thing is that they seek beauty in the context of flavor. They don't dislike mechanics, but that's not what they're focused on.

Mel finds beauty in mechanical components. They don't dislike flavor, that's just not their focus. Hangarback Walker is a good example; it's not really much to look at flavor-wise, but mechanics and gameplay wise it's great.
>>
>>50931758
Because one of the commanders wants you to go wide, and the other one wants you to hit one person very very hard.
>>
>>50931506
it would be my all time favorite but im a very fickle person
>>
>>50931220
How the heck does Ghave work? I really want to play him, but my brain can't quite figure it out.
>>
>>50931775
No, I mean Breya isn't 'your' flavor of the month, she's THE flavor of the month. As in the current flavor of the month. Just like Derevi used to be.
>>
>>50931772

>implying I don't do both

I get to hit one person very hard while going wide and drawing cards.
>>
>>50931796
Like, the card itself, or the combos? The combos are basically the fact that he swaps counters 1-for-1 with Saprolings, so if you can introduce a Doubling Season effect shit goes sideways because now you can net things.

Ghave + Doubling Season + Ashnod's Altar goes infinite. Pay 1, remove a counter, get 2 Saprolings. Sac one of them for CC, pay 1 to sac the other and put 2 counters on Ghave. Repeat as many times as you want, have an arbitrarily large Ghave. Take a few million counters off of him, feed all those Saprolings to the Altar, infinite mana, etc.
>>
>>50931825
Going tall while you go wide is trying to do two things poorly instead of doing one thing well.
>>
>>50931800
Its quantifiably proven atraxa is the fotm. Its the 3rd most built commander appearently.
>>
>>50931573
On a budget, go for the better among the tapland duals with an upside like checklands, bouncelands, scrylands, painlands etc. Also get tangolands as a budget replacement for shocks if you can fetch nonbasics, such as with Farseek and Wood Elves.

Once you have that, you can slowly invest in shocks, fetches and rainbows as fast as your budget allows.
>>
>>50931842
I've seen more people discussing Breya than Atraxa, I guess. I'll cede that as 'my experiences are not an accurate microcosm of the whole' though.
>>
>>50931849
>Speaking from my experience outside of edhg
Breya is popular and effective
Atarxa is even more popular but less effective
Atarxa
>>
>>50931396
Command Tower, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Exotic Orchard, Forbidden Orchard, Ancient Coliseum (might have the name wrong, was reprinted in Commander 2016), Tri Lands, Scry Lands. BAM mostly budget mana base.
>>
>>50931882
I'll admit, I vehemently hate Breya so I have a bias against her.
>>
>>50931841
I can vouch for this, would not recommend. Tried playing Gahiji both wide and tall and it was wildly inconsistent. Promptly switched to Marath going wide and now I'm having a blast.
>>
Niv-Mizzet, The Firemind is my current favorite. I love the versatility of being able to be a big flying beater or a combo enabler.

Flavor-wise, I can't help but love a self absorbed, "I AM SO GREAT" sort genius dragon.
>>
>>50931830
You need something to do with all the mana, is the end game exsanguinate majority of the time with that? I don't play ghave or against him but I'm curious what he does with all that infinite mana
>>
>>50931830
I was wondering in terms of combos.

So, I don't have doubling season, but I have things like parallel lives and second harvest that can shit tokens like no tomorrow. What other kind of combos are there? In my head, I have things that will abuse infinite ETBs all laid out, so I don't need something that's productively infinite, but that flickers something infinitely. I'm thinking things like Bridge of the Ninth Patrol, Extractor Demon, or champion of lambholt to get infinitely large.
>>
>>50931608
i don't care about winning though. i like assembling efficient sac engines, recurring solemn simulacrum for massive value (but little in the way of actual wincon) and building a massive board by turn 5
>>
>>50931911
>You need something to do with all the mana
You don't, though. You can pour it right back in to keep going. Ghave + Season + Altar gets you an arbitrarily large Ghave, an arbitrarily large amount of mana, and an arbitrarily large number of Saprolings. You can use that with the black Fling effect, or make him unblockable, or gain a ton of life with an Essence Warden, or kill someone with a Blood Artist, or pour it into Exsanguinate, or draw your deck with Skullclamp, etc, etc, etc.
>>
File: 1374321501856.gif (2MB, 235x180px) Image search: [Google]
1374321501856.gif
2MB, 235x180px
>Working on a decklist
>Not happy with it no matter what I do
>So used to my top few decks having very efficient and low CMCs
>Feel like I've gotta build Modern-style curves

Is a creature-heavy deck with largely 3 and 4 CMC creatures a bad idea?
>>
>>50931891
Why do you hate breya?
>>
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hungry-hungry-prossh-os/

Looking for input on my Prossh; I'll listen to anything you guys can think of. Also:
Would switching out Urborg for Forbidden Orchard be a good or bad idea?
>>
>>50931932
So you like efficiently doing big goofy shit.

That sounds like Timmy primarily, with tinges of Johnny for the 'engines' and Spike for the 'efficiently'.
>>
>>50931849
I think its because there is nothing to discuss with atraxa. All her available playstyles are already 100% established and she just makes those playstyles better in obvious ways.
Meanwhile breya is an artifact matters commander that supports aggro, a shit load of individual combos and the obvious artifact synergies to basically make her the merfolk of edh. No matter if you go myr or thopter themed, youre building up this unique army that every peice can shift and change on hidden facets to turn "weak" cards into game finishers.
I guess any deck that can care about weird things like the fact a token is blue or not is a unique deck that gets my attention and makes me want to play it.
>>
>>50931937
Partially because people won't quit jizzing their pants over her comboing with Ashnod's Altar and Nim Deathmantle like that's unique or interesting, a general dislike of her abilities costing way too much for how little they do (outside of an 'infinite' engine), and feeling like most Breya decks are literally just the existing WUB Artifact decks with maybe 5 of the red artifact support cards thrown in.

She just feels lazy on every level, from design to how most of her decks are built.
>>
File: 1336634177712.jpg (17KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1336634177712.jpg
17KB, 512x384px
I used to play Yugioh and came back to XYZ and Synchros, and a few of my old favorite cards were banned... so I'm interested in starting magic.

I heard they do like 30 card starter giveaways or something like that? If they don't do that, whats my best bet for buying and making my first deck?
>>
>>50931975
Head to your local shop and ask if they have those giveaway starter decks. Failing that... ask them to recommend a precon and teach you how to play.
>>
>>50931975
Some lgs' dont have them. Go to a prerelease and youll have a nice little 40 card deck and game day foil.
>>
>>50931841
>>50931894

The thing is that by going tall, I'm incidentally going wide. By boosting Tana, I get tons of creatures, which let me draw cards from Tymna.
>>
>>50931958
exactly
>>
File: teedus.jpg (30KB, 475x343px) Image search: [Google]
teedus.jpg
30KB, 475x343px
>>50931933
>You don't need to use it
>proceed to post on how to use it

>>50931973
Fair enough, I run breya but I'm more about flicker/etb effects. I like making a huge unblockable breya or master etherium.
>>
File: Jeleva.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Jeleva.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Building some thief tribal. What cards let me cast other people's shit?

So far I have
Gonti
Praetor's Grasp
Spelltwine
Emrakul hey it counts
Memory Plunder
Mind's Dilation
Plus a few different Control Magic effects.

Also how much early game should I be running if my primary win condition is casting Jeleva a bunch? What even IS good early game? This is my first control-ish deck and I'm not sure on the right balance between stabilizers and threats.
>>
>>50932092
grenzo, havoc raiser
lord of the void
geth, lord of the vault
>>
>>50931973
I usually love combo and artifacts, but my breya deck is just going for artifact value/reanimator because I can't stand everyone at my shop running breya combo. I'm avoiding the issue of "splashing" red by going whole hog on Slobad/feldon/daretti and other red artifact reanimation shenanigans with Esper support.
>>
File: 1342451646788.jpg (124KB, 420x500px) Image search: [Google]
1342451646788.jpg
124KB, 420x500px
>>50931983
>>50932004
Thanks guys, any particular YouTube channels that are actually worthwhile? I've never played MTG only kinda observed others playing it. It's kinda hard for me to judge BS from quality content at my babby stage.
>>
>>50932124
are you running your illusionists bracers?
>>
File: 1463722405800.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
1463722405800.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>50931513
i fucking love blood moon
please don't run too many basics
>>
>>50932092
>>50932120
remembered a couple more

silent-blade oni (very nice!!)
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
>>
How do you guys feel about EDH/Commander casual variants, like Planeswalkers as commanders?
>>
>>50932207
Pauper Tiny Leaders Commander Basic Lands Only is the best format
>>
>>50931220
kemba or brimaz boyz
>>
>>50932124
Yeah, I originally bought Breya and used her until there were 4 people pods and we all used Breya. Either it was Breya combo or just esper artifacts with red support. Just hated seeing it so often.

I dismantled it and made Sharuum for my fiance and made Slobad for myself. Holy shit Slobad is so fun, especially when you combine winter orb and clock of omens to keep everyone else down is silly.
>>
>>50932141
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzSz5RJ6gu0

anything by tolarian tends to be good
>>
>>50932011
You still have 98 other cards that generally either work well with going tall or going wide, not both.
If you bring single target combat tricks or stuff like Xenagod to go tall but Tana gets countered/removed and the other creatures you've drawn that game are weenies, your combat tricks will be ineffective.
If you bring anthems or stuff like Aura Shards to benefit from going wide but Tana can't find an opening to connect and the other creatures you've drawn that game are fatties, your anthems will be ineffective.

It's incredibly unreliable, even more so by relying on a 4cmc 2/2 to connect to the face for your deck to work.
>>
>>50932242
Not casual enough, throw in some Planechase and Archenemy
>>
>>50932242
>Tiny Leaders Commander
a yo hol up
>>
>>50932351

It's been playing great, though. I do use Xenegod and Aura Shards and Purphuros, but I can also combo out with Boonweaver. Wrath and Removal happens, but it's not that big of a deal because haste is really easy.
>>
Is there a list or something of solid removal for each color? I'd like to buy a whole bunch of staples for any deck and obviously removal is a priority.
>>
>>50932378
Why not Planeswalker Commander Archenemy Planechase Emperor, with a team of Nicol Bolas, Sarkhan and Tezzeret (Bolas being the Archenemy) against Jace, Liliana, Ugin, Ajani and... uhh.. Nissa?
>>
>>50932543
jace liliana team, nissa chandra team, and ajani gideon as emperor.
>>
I NEED HASTE OUTLETS

HASTE OUTLETS IN GRIXIS

have anger, fervor, hammer, greaves, boots, what am I missing
>>
File: ugin.png (615KB, 446x623px) Image search: [Google]
ugin.png
615KB, 446x623px
>>50932207
I love this meme.
>>
>>50933002
Urabrask?
>>
>>50933002
Hall of the Bandit Lord, Flamekin Village, and/or Hanweir Battlements?
>>
File: Image-26.png (128KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-26.png
128KB, 223x311px
How much mana dorks and artifact ramp do you play with her going Voltron?
>>
>>50933002
Dragonlord Kolaghan
>>
File: avatar of me.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
31KB, 223x310px
>So, you're telling me that you're playing a 6/15 for 2UU?
>>
File: FUCK.png (262KB, 416x577px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.png
262KB, 416x577px
>>50931934
you'll be like me
neat strategy, all flows together to make some cool shit
and then you get rekt turn 4 by some fag and his "clever" cheat combo that he draws every time
yes im bitter i cant timmy my way to victory
>>
>>50933245
Yeah, if you're less than ten years old, which is unlikely given your height and shoe size. RTFC
>>
>>50933315
How dare you count my age in the metric system. Deca-rotations or nothing pleb.
>>
>>50933002

Mass Hysteria
Cyclops of Eternal Fury
Akroma's Memorial
Ogre Battledriver.,
>>
>>50932051
No, I was saying "you don't need some outside thing to pour the mana into". Deadeye + Palinchron gets infinite mana, but doesn't inherently come with something to spend it on (other than 'get more mana'). Ghave does.
>>
>>50933085
If I were building her, the ramp package would look something like:
Joraga Treespeaker, Somberwald Sage, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Oracle of Mul Daya, Gruul Signet, Sol Ring, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Skyshroud Claim
Then some combination of Farseek, Rampant Growth, Nature's Lore, Explosive Vegetation, and Wood/Farhaven Elves to fill in any gaps
>>
>>50932268
That's my exact problem. Breya feels like every other Sharuum/Sydri combo deck in the world, with a couple of red cards and Nim Deathmantle thrown in. It's not unique or interesting, and Breya herself is still a boring shitty card, she just happens to go infinite with Altar and Deathmantle.
>>
>have a mono black recur deck that is obnoxious and solitairy to play against
>decide it's not good for the group and take it apart
>trying to rework the pieces into a different deck
>end up with a dimir recur deck that does a lot of the same stuff, except it's even more obnoxious in a lot of ways with the addition of blue

fuck
>>
>>50933299
Eh, that's an understandable thing to be bitter about. The problem with pubstompers isn't that they play 'strong' decks, it's that they're frequently "big fish, little pond" types. They don't build actual cutthroat shit like Food Chain Tazri, they build things like "lol Animar + Ancestral Statue" specifically because they want to pubstomp. They don't want a hardcore, cutthroat game against other top tier decks, they just want to do the TCG equivalent of facerolling.
>>
>>50933709
Put aside the recursion packages and don't let yourself put them back in.
>>
Friendly reminder that disruption is a part of deck building and I'm not just talking about le counterspell maymay
>>
>>50933299
Honestly if you just lose to combos every game throw in some combo hate. Eidolon of Rhetoric, Null Rod, Ground Seal, Torpor Orb, etc
>>
To answer a question from last thread , Damage Redirection is not a form of damage prevention nd spells and abilities that redirect damage are unaffected by "damage cannot be prevented"
>>
>>50931424
>Poorontier
Not a mean post, just telling you that dosnt work at all as a joke.
>>
>>50933709
I was mulling over a Dimir Reanimator deck, possibly Dralnu at the helm.
>>
>>50934140
How much disruption do you usually pack into a deck? I find the 10 draw 10 ramp 10 game winners 10 disruption 10 facilitators 10 theme setup to be a little... homogeneous.
>>
>>50934371
>Heh, someone with such a primitive mind could never understand the depth of my comical genius
*teleports beheind you*
*unzips katana*
>Pft, nothin personnel kid
>>
>>50934449
Where'd you hear that nonsense? How much disruption and the nature of the disruption really relies on the deck you're trying to play. Fair decks that use creatures to win probably want more because you need to stop combos and other fast decks from killing you too soon. On the other hand if your deck wins faster than everyone else's deck disruption is not as needed
>>
>>50934449
For that, you might want to look at the type of disruption you are running rather than the quantity. Do those cards adequately address common threats in your meta?
>>
What kind of deck should I build for a first time, a new lgs
>>
>>50934578
phage
>>
>>50934481
>Where'd you hear that nonsense?
Established deck building philosophy for EDH. Personally, I stick to 10 draw, 10 ramp, 10 game winners, then fill in the rest with both removal and theme, but it's pretty solid advice for new deckbuilders. The problem I'm having is that I don't know how much to put into a deck, and I keep making fragile durdly decks that become unstoppable if they hit lategame, despite what seems like a reasonable setup in theory. I'm just looking for more consistency.

>>50934507
Hmm, I never thought about it that way. I play in a really creature early-game heavy meta, and it's pretty oppressive sometimes. For example, I have a few decks like Lazav that are almost unbeatable late game, but I get pounded early game without some magical christmasland luck, even though I pack a lot of disruption.

What kind of things are effective at disrupting other things? I feel like one of those silly glass cannon party members in an RPG a lot of the time.
>>
>>50934578
Zozu mld
>>
>>50934578
precon
>>
>>50934619
Colors?

Blind obedience is one that pops into my head immediately
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
I have trouble winning games without being able to recur the same answers a lot (Meren, Tasigur etc) am I retarded?
I have other decks that don't do these things but I feel they lose far more often than when I'm able to keep using the same answers again and again to win.

also recurring things a lot like solemn and shit is something I love doing anyway so maybe I just don't notice as much when I lose games playing that style.
>>
>>50933532
But Ghave still needs to do something with all that mana or all the saprolings created and sac'd to him. Otherwise you just have a fat ghave and an army of 1/1s
>>
>>50934696
Honestly? Any colour or two colour combo is fine. Right now mono-black and dimir need the most help. I find my non-white decks struggle a bit at managing threats. The only decks I've made that seem to answer threats well are Brago, for obvious reasons, and Uril, because of all that cheap white removal. I'm working on a Golgari/Abzan thing and Marath at the moment too, but those would be a secondary priority, Lazav is just too cool to lose that quickly.
>>
File: Marath, Will of the Wild_C13.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Marath, Will of the Wild_C13.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>50931220
>What's your favorite commander and why do you like them so much?
Pic related. He gets shit done in a big way.
>>
>>50934767
You know that you can win the game by attacking with those 1/1s right?
>>
>>50934619
What makes your lazav deck unbeatable late game, how's it built?
U got a list?
>>
>>50934807
Dimir has propaganda no mercy dissipation field stasis and for more novel approach perplexing chimera
Tainted aether, spreading plague and call to the Grave are some more options
>>
>>50934900
Disgusting wheels. I do have a list, but it's not quite the updated one I'm using. In general, the principle is simple:

>play lazav as early as possible
>throw down some discard and wheels to disrupt your opponents
>inevitably hit something good
>if you don't, reanimate your stuff

It's very strong in magical christmasland, and can win through powerful mill combos or dirty synergy. Sphinx's Tutelage is a pet card of mine, and one of my favorite magical christmasland setups involve playing it, memory jar, and a wheel while Lazav and waste not are out. There are a few infinite mill combos with Undead Alchemist, and cloning/reanimating Mindleech Mass is always amazing.

Pretty much the whole reason my deck sucks is because I literally do nothing but play a chump or two until Lazav comes out. Most of my early game plays are enchantments, usually to protect me or set up a combo, and if they fail, I'm up a creek. My early game creatures are either too important or too weak to do anything against a somewhat-established boardstate by t4, and if Lazav eats removal, the deck is just a bunch of elaborate nonsense.
>>
>>50935007
>perplexing chimera
Oh my, now that's a spicy meatball.
>>
File: 1464988689242.jpg (62KB, 533x1226px) Image search: [Google]
1464988689242.jpg
62KB, 533x1226px
>>50935007
>perplexing chimera
>>
>>50931685
>"Dave" is a sort of made up thing

Jesus christ every single one of these terms is nothing but a made-up buzzword Wizards uses to increase the impact of even more made-up buzzwords like "audience participation", "resonant" and "an X card"

Wizards themselves are completely fucking inconsistent in how they apply the definitions (they themselves made!) of Timmy / Johnny / Spike
>>
Is Lighthouse Chronologist just the max hate card? You take a turn after every other player right?
>>
>>50931664
Anyone?
>>
>>50933568
Thank you sir
>>
>>50935266
Its not a hate card. It's an 8U 1colorless take maybe one extra turn, the card.
>>
Fill in the blank: Most fun mono-white commander is ______
>>
>>50935422

8 1/2 tails
>>
>>50935451
I already have an 8.5 tails deck, just after another mono-white commander
>>
>>50935422
Odric, Master Tactician

If you've never played him, I highly recommend it. Theres nothing quite as powerful as telling someone they decided not to block any of your stuff, and that as a result they are now dead.
>>
I'm gonna run Triad of Fates yo
>>
File: mypotions.jpg (14KB, 600x358px) Image search: [Google]
mypotions.jpg
14KB, 600x358px
>mazrek deck
>mfw keeping track of tokens and the different amounts of +1/+1 counters on each
it's really potent but jesus christ
>>
>>50931934
Considering EDH is a "battlecruiser" format with most big, decent threats having 5-8 in stats you're generally going to have smaller creatures if the top of your curve is 4.

Then again, A good curve makes a good deck but singleton format can drastically change how well the deck will curve and run.

>tl;dr PLAYTEST
>>
>>50935941
I feel like I won't win without +1/+1 counters and tokens but I just don't want to use them
>>
>>50934895
And how do you expect to give them haste friendo?
>>
sit down, ulamog
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>50931356
>tfw you loved Lorwyn but it's never coming back and they even killed tribal

MaRo's America.
>>
>>50936999
You must only play Grindy midrange boardstall matches with new standard sets now, hope you like seeing the same 5 planeswalkers every set too
>>
What is the proper way to handle Narset? Mulligan until you find an Edict effect?
>>
>>50934767
Yeah, because everyone knows that a 10,000/10,000 creature and two million 1/1s (or bigger, since you can just put counters on your Saprolings) isn't a wincon.
>>
>>50937201
dont play against a narset player
>>
>>50935247
I mean that Dave isn't one that WOTC came up with.

They're not "completely fucking inconsistent", it's that they've clarified and refined a few times since the psychographs were created. Originally it was just "Timmy likes big dumb fatties", "Spike is a WAAC asshole", and "Johnny likes combos". They distilled that to "Experience/Prove/Express" as the main goal of each (respectively), FIVE FUCKING YEARS LATER, because that was more accurate than reducing all their players to "dumb vanilla shit", "asshole", and "combo masturbator".

Vorthos was introduced by Matt Cavotta (not the same person who introduced the first three psychographics) as a Fourth psychographic. Maro wrote an article 2 years later saying that he felt that was inaccurate; that Vorthos wasn't on the same axis as the original three, but a perpendicular one. T/J/S are the Psychographic profiles; that explores WHY they enjoy the game.

Vorthos (and his counterpart, Melvin) are AESTHETIC profiles; they explore WHAT players like about the game.
>>
>>50935469
>Building two mono-white commander decks
I thought this level of self-harm would get you committed.
>>
>>50936999
I mean, I understand the 'why'. They found themselves having to tack it onto fucking everything because only using it on half the shit would piss people off, and people were grumbling about errata'ing thousands of old cards to be Tribal.

Really, as much as I love it, they never should have introduced it 15 years into the game. It's like Instant being a supertype- something that would've been GREAT from day 1, but that they really shouldn't have tried once the game was deeply established
>>
File: Image-1.jpg (26KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.jpg
26KB, 223x310px
Holy shit guys
Accidently stumbled on this gem and fucking love it
Its so good in aggro decks that swing every turn and prevent the majority of people from having any blockers at all
>>
>>50937072
What? That went over my head.
>>
>>50937482
Lorwyn standard boardstates were very difficult to keep track of, and the first five planeswalker cards were introduced in that set as well.
>>
>>50937565
Actually, Lorwyn Standard wasn't bad, it was Lorwyn Sealed that was a fucking headache.

Also, while I'm not the guy you replied to, what I loved about Lorwyn was the aesthetic, the setting, and the expansion of creature types onto noncreature things for interesting tribal support via... well, Tribal. There were also really interesting cards that ended up being staples in various formats, and the art was gorgeous.

I fully accept that as a Limited set it was really badly designed (which helped contribute to New World Order with Innistrad), and that they went a little bugfuck crazy on "types matter". I also don't see how Lorwyn introducing The Lorwyn 5 (who were ORIGINALLY supposed to be in Future Sight, but development wasn't ready yet) makes that block specifically responsible for Wizards' change to Neowalkers and using them as the 'face' of the set.
>>
>>50937617
Rather, the 'face' of the game.
>>
Post pet cards.
>>
>>50937409
Doesn't that fuck over most aggro decks because they are token decks without haste?

If you have red you can run stuff like fumiko instead, which feels better
>>
File: minds dilation.png (113KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
minds dilation.png
113KB, 223x311px
>>50937679
it goes into every blue deck i make now
>>
File: BAE.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
BAE.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>50937679
I just completed my playset of Phyrexian Metamorphs and I am one away from a playset of Rhystic Studies and even have cyclonic rift in every blue splashed deck.

But I truly this is my favorite blue auto include.
>>
>>50937971
I like this card in theory
I don't like this card when I've tested it
I have to figure out the right time to play it
>>
>>50937995
Depends on your meta. If the first 3 or 4 turns of your area are "Land, go", you save it until around turn 4. If people tend to cast a few mana dorks or utility cards in the first few turns, you windmill slam it on turn 1 to make every thing they cast for the next few turns.
>>
>>50936999
>tfw because people disliked Lorwyn limited and it introduced some busted ass card we'll never see a 'No Humans' set
I want to be taken to a magical world where there are nothing but fantastical creatures again.

And yes, I know the Lorwyn 5 contained some humans, but this was before they actually had to do too much with the story.
>>
>>50938060
They also weren't actually -on- Lorwyn. They were supposed to be in Future SIght.
>>
>>50938035

I feel like I every time I play it turn 1 it's disappointing

People just play creatures only for a couple turns until I'm paying an upkeep that ruins my gameplan

I think it's better to play turn 2-3, though it's unfortunate to miss on sol rings and other cheap rocks played turns 1-2, but the thing is I never get to draw off those anyway

Maybe it's better to see the card as something just to slow down the early turns
>>
>>50938100
How is drawing 4 or 5 cards in the first 2 turns of the game better than whatever stupid shit you were gonna cast?
>>
>>50938129

I'm saying people don't cast their spells into mystic remora in my meta. So it's really tap out every turn to make my opponents hold their noncreature spells in hand, which isn't bad
>>
File: 66516_200w.jpg (29KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
66516_200w.jpg
29KB, 200x285px
>>50937679
3 good things about it.
>>
I have a foil Herald of Anafenza, is pumping out tokens really the way to go?
>>
>>50938140
>each creature does 1 damage to its controller

please enlighten me with whats good about that one. i relatively new to EDH and no one in my play group really uses that card
>>
>>50938254
>>50938283
Well like if a guy has a ton of tokens
>>
I know I am a few days late on posting but I got Snapcaster Mage, Creeping Tar Pit, Bribery, Sword of Body and Mind, and Sword of Light and Shadow from my friends for Christmas.

My Lazav deck is my first EDH deck and although I haven't gotten to play with these upgrades they seem huge.

Statistically cant 5 cards really make a difference in a deck though?

My friends have all been playing way longer than I have and my wins are pretty rare because of it.
>>
>>50938322
oh, thats way less cool than i thought the answer was going to be
>>
>>50938340
It is impossible to say without knowing more about your meta and deck but shoving $100 into it sure won't hurt.
>>
>>50938372
Yeah, it's basically a "fuck you" to decks that go wide. It's a hard counter to 'and then I make infinite tokens', and it can blow someone out when they aren't expecting to get smacked for 10 damage out of nowhere.
>>
>>50931896

I don't think I've ever used Niv-Mizzet to close out a game unless it was vs life gain. I'm a type of man who loves to draw cards all the time forever. I don't run curiosity so it probably helps that I don't have as big of a target on me as well.
>>
Fuck Atraxa, such an easy build.
>>
File: 1481841531361.gif (29KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1481841531361.gif
29KB, 557x605px
>>50938283
Decks dedicated to many creatures and tokens crumble to it, or better yet you do it when someone plays triumph of the hordes and let them kill themself through their own infect
>>
>>50938254
I prefer thraben doomsayer over herald of anafenza
>>
>>50938404
>>50938460
the thing that makes me feel really retarded is that i was like "i bet it combos with a card that gives everything infect for a turn and makes them kill themselves" which is basically the same thing as what it actually does
>>
>>50938533
It's more like "It combos with your opponent trying to kill you".
>>
File: IMG_0656.png (644KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0656.png
644KB, 1366x768px
>>50931400
>Pro White, pro black
>Protection from the only things that can kill it when played correctly
>>
>>50938548
>What is Wrath of God
>>
>>50938254
Like every outlast card it's slow as balls for a small effect. The sorcery speed and tap on outlast really kills it. I'd only consider it for flavor reasons and even then it's questionable when you could instead run things like scute mob or Rhys the redeemed at the same cost.
>>
File: 1382240574799.jpg (98KB, 380x243px) Image search: [Google]
1382240574799.jpg
98KB, 380x243px
>>50931400
>Animar player has Winnower, Kozilek, Regal Behemoth, Animar, some shit hydra, and who knows what the fuck else
>dead on board if he untaps
>but he also has 9 infect
>Green Sun's for 4 so the CMC will be odd
>hit Ewitt
>get back Ichor Rats
>kills him and lets me go ham on the other guy
Feels good nigga
>>
>>50938283
Seriously?

>That one Krenkofag
>That one tokenfag
>That one KikiJIkiPestermite fag
>That one Genesis Wave fag
>That one Army of the Damned fag

And while we're at it for the other modes:
>That one Merenfag
>That one Praetor's Grasp fag
>That one reanimator fag
>That one Breya fag
>That one allinwithartifactmana fag
>>
>>50938548
Animar isn't too difficult to deal with though even in W/B. You still got access to colorless creatures and animar still dies to boardwipes.
>>
>>50938606
Preator's Counsel* my bad
>>
>>50938605
>hit ewitt

What the fuck is ewitt?
>>
File: 1478936170241.png (107KB, 341x334px) Image search: [Google]
1478936170241.png
107KB, 341x334px
>>50938606
>tfw I am three of those fags
>>
>>50938661
Eternal Witness.
>>
>>50931220
Is commander the fun magic game or is it a circle jerk of one turn win combo decks?I like eldrazi and playing big guys and I want to get into it but I'm a little afraid.
>>
File: 1482974985409.jpg (46KB, 540x295px) Image search: [Google]
1482974985409.jpg
46KB, 540x295px
>tragic arrogance 4 times in a single game

Do I really have to go blue from now on?
>>
>>50938724
Depends on your meta. In some places it's big dumb battlecruiser Magic, an 'extension' of KTF.

In some areas it's people having a cardboard dick-measuring contest.
>>
>>50938724
This depends on what your meta looks like.

If you believe that your meta is going to be this bad you have some options.

First of all, discuss it with your meta. If you tell them your opinion on what is going on, then your playgroup may talk about alternate ways of keeping commander fun. This also means that you should take constructive criticism from your peers.

If there is one person in your group who refuses to take into consideration that what he is doing is a problem, then hate him out in game. Target his stuff and make sure that he can never win any game, if he/she is not gonna listen then you need to take a stand. This will then get him/her to listen to reason and that he should tune his deck down to a deck that is tolerable to the other meta and himself/herself.
>>
>>50932092
Bribery and the artifact one too
>>
>>50932256
I built monowhite once.
Once.
>>
>>50938724
Players of distinguished taste and sexual prowess will usually have multiple decks of varying strengths. The decks they play with depend on what kind of game they want to play that night, if they playing a new guy like you, they should be pulling out their nicer decks.
>>
File: file.png (641KB, 513x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
641KB, 513x720px
hey guys, what are some good commanders for soldiers? I'm trying to build an EDH deck for my friend who's been a diehard white weenie player since we started. he doesn't mind big spells but low and wide has always been his style. I found this guy, and he seems real good with a soul sisters package but he's pretty easy to play around.
>>
>>50938946
I second this. As someone who runs very mean decks, if I'm playing someone newer, I have a few things tuned at around a precon level. I also have alternate wincons in strong decks that help newer players by slowing me down. After all, if ghave combos off t5, I'm probably the only one having fun.
>>
File: Image-73.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-73.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>50939367
Tajic is a 'go wide' kinda soldier
>>
>>50939367
Tajic,Blade of the Legion.
Attacks big and is difficult to remove, and is in the colors for good token generation and pump. Assemble the Legion, Legions Initiative, Intangible Virtue, Honor of the Pure. You also get removal options in white and red.
Issues Boros faces is consistent card draw, but if your deck is a bunch of token generators and pump you can mitigate that a bit.
>>
>>50938946
>>50938810
>>50938751
How expensive is getting into commander? I only have standard cards because thats the only thing my fag friends play.
>>
>>50939478
Look up the precons
Most of them from the past 3 years can be found for MSRP or close to it.
If you like the idea of any of the decks, buy one and upgrade it as you go. Easiest way to get started and the precon decks are actually competently made. You won't win a competitive meta or anything, but they aren't utter jank like other precons.
>>
>>50939478
So there are preconstructed sets released every year, each come with 100 cards and a couple of unique commanders. Don't get a 2016 one, they're almost universally bad.

Get a 2015 set, the good ones are called:
Call of the Spirits
Plunder the Graves

Should be able to find one of those for around $30. But really, don't get a 2016 one, I know they look cool, but they are quite awful.
>>
>>50931400

Its called breaking the morph mechanic u faggots

Animorph 2017
>>
File: 1482304041509.jpg (10KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
1482304041509.jpg
10KB, 200x303px
>>50939520
>call of the spirits
>good
>>
>>50939515
>>50939520
Thanks! I'll see what I can scrounge up.
>>
>>50939548
I'm assuming he'd run it as a Karlov deck. Recursive exile is pretty powerful in mid-tier games, and adding lifegain is both easy and cheap.
>>
>>50939550
the seize control one is kind of fun out of the box too.
>>
>>50939574
The problem I see is Karlov is a perfect target for removal himself, you have to set up protection for him and ensure he can live through anything. I don't deny he is better than daxos because he is and teysa is a high ass cost for her colors but the overall deck is just not that strong
>>
>>50939478
EDH is an eternal format, which means you can use any card from any set that is not banned. This means that you can experiment with cards or specific archetypes from standard, modern, hell even legacy or vintage.

Your budget is whatever you feel comfortable in spending, but try to buy into non-standard based cards if you are gonna be playing more commander than standard, if you wait until the card sees no play or cycled out, thats when you should be buying. This is true with cards in other formats like modern or legacy that might see immediate bannings. Older cards tend to hold their value rather than standard and you would feel like a retard buying that Torrential Gearhulk and hoping it will stay the same price.

If you have trouble with deck construction, buying a pre-constructed commander deck WOTC have sold in the past 5 years can get you started in playing commander, allowing the chance to play and reconstruct a deck that suits you.

And yes, there are people who have really expensive cards, but don't push yourself into buying a deck that costs like 2k all at once, you can always put cards in along the way. Thats just normal adjustments that most people do. But dont push yourself, spend your money wisely. You have to pay the bills somehow.
>>
>>50939520
>don't get a 2016 one
Let 'em have fun if he wants to. The 4c commanders are fun, even if partner fell a bit flat to more serious players.
Plus, the 4c decks have a bonus of having a couple good commanders not in their entire colors, like Alesha, Hanna, Sharuum, and Sydri. It can introduce new players to new cards.
The commanders might be clunky, but they're big and flashy and fun
>>
>>50938586
I'm commanding with Derevi for sweet untaps
>>
>>50939643
Is removal really such a huge problem when your commander has a cmc of 2? Most decks don't run enough removal for that commander tax to become huge.

>>50939648
I think it's a It's a terrible place to start as someone brand new to commander. You get some nifty cards, but these decks need expensive work. Partner is the least of its problems.
>>
>>50939696
Maybe not in your meta but I have seen instances where Newzuri cost 12 extra from constant removal and boardwipes, and Karlov is a consistent source of removal, he will get dominated at any opportunity
>>
>>50939727
I guess I fail to see how it's a weakness. Any commander would be weaker if it was constantly removed, few commanders have innate protection.

I can't think of any other commander in a precon that is as easy to pilot that's strong as well, except for maybe planewalkers.

Ooh, Freyalise would be a good precon if it could be found.
>>
If I run a card like ulamog as my commander, I can only have colorless stuff, but does that include cards with devoid?
>>
>>50939921
No. The simple version is, if there's a mana symbol anywhere it's not colourless.
>>
>>50939921
Devoid still retains the mana symbol so no. Only pure colorless and brown can be used
>>
File: 1482865132070.jpg (31KB, 526x300px) Image search: [Google]
1482865132070.jpg
31KB, 526x300px
>>50934468
wtf did i just read?
>>
>>50940184
An ancient meme about edginess used improperly.
>>
File: 1481825663891.png (443KB, 960x948px) Image search: [Google]
1481825663891.png
443KB, 960x948px
>>50935941
>barely keeping up doing all that
>cast creakwood liege
>mfw realize what I just brough upon myself
>rip the deck apart later
>>
File: IMG_1644.jpg (44KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1644.jpg
44KB, 223x310px
I am thinking of making a B & R enchancment deck with this boss holding the reigns. Playing with cards like Havoc festival, Spiteful visions, Rain of Gore, and etc. Sounds like something feasible? What should I be on the look for, both cards to add and decks to be careful of.
>>
>>50940320
Oh god, Mogis.

That's one commander I've tried to build like 30 times and could never quite figure out. Beware of life loss. Tons of Rakdos things hurt you, and unless you can recoup that life, a lot of decks can easily kill you if you damage yourself. Also, make sure you're playing some form of reanimator, or you're in for a bad time.
>>
>>50935422
Heliod control

Dont knock it until you try it.
>>
File: 1418781941923.gif (205KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1418781941923.gif
205KB, 500x500px
>Mfw Tempt with Reflections AND Rite of Rep on a Perplexing Chimera in my Sakashima deck.
>Mfw have 10 (TEN) Perplexing Chimeras.
>>
>>50940333
Pariah's Shield equipped to Mogis or Orbs of Warding will protect you from most of your harmful enchantments.
>>
File: rakdos.jpg (1MB, 889x1543px) Image search: [Google]
rakdos.jpg
1MB, 889x1543px
>>50940320
R/B PAINChase is viable but you have to remember you're playing suicide style.
The key is putting in just enough asymmetrical death to win.
>>
>>50932256
Had the Kemba Voltron deck, was meh. Swapped her out for Brimaz and the deck got ten times better. Helps that Brimaz generates Clampable tokens.
>>
>>50940333
Reanimation tech is a good idea anon. Could really turn the tide and be that ace they don't expect.

>>50940527
I am suicidal style anyways so that is where this idea stemmed from. To me, all i need is 1 life to win. Thanks for the suggestions, i have more then half of those cards going in here already.

Thank you both anons. More suggestion always appreciated.
>>
How do I make a playable Werewolf deck?

I've tried Ruic Thar, Surak, Gahiji, and Ulrich himself. None preform optimally. Is this archetype really just a worthless waste of time?
>>
>>50941153
Its pretty much a lost cause but Ishai/Tana gives you a commander that punishes people for casting spells, access to all the werewolves and rule of law/arcane laboratory.
>>
>>50940320
Mogis is fun

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mogis-god-of-sunshine-and-happiness/

The biggest problem I had was when i got everyone down to 10 or so life and the game turns from whatever it was to "shut down mogis as hard as possible" so they dont die.

The solution was x cost damage boardwipes. So you can kill everyone at once from a higher lifetotal after they blow up all your enchantments.
>>
File: yidris,maelstromwielder.full.jpg (108KB, 240x345px) Image search: [Google]
yidris,maelstromwielder.full.jpg
108KB, 240x345px
Trying to build my first edh deck from scratch (only played with precons and upgraded precons)

I'm trying to build a wizard tribal deck, was thinking of having yidris as my commander, because i don't want to be monoblue, i want to fuck around with crazy shit.

This is what i've got so far:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-12-16-yidris-elba/

I'm missing the landbase and instant/sorceries and possible enchants

Am i missing some staples?
>>
If you could unban any one card, what would it be?
>>
File: Limited Resources_EX.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Limited Resources_EX.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>50941960
Truly the hero we deserve
>>
>>50941960
Griselbrand

The Timmy in me wants him to be my monoblack commander.
>>
Would Thassa, God of the Sea count as a creature from a Narset trigger?
>>
>>50940495
you, I like you.

>>50942385
I'm not sure if it's a creature while casting, since i think it only checks for devotion count once it lands on the field
>>
>>50942385
Yes because Narset checks the printed card types afaik
>>
>>50935422
Isamaru :^)
>>
Hey so I'm trying to build Brion Stoutarm but don't know what type of deck to build, Lifegain? Giant Tribe? Shit Flinging Monkey?
>>
>>50941960
prime time
>>
>>50942385
I dunno genius, does it say "Creature" on the fucking card?
>>
>>50942628
Threaten tribal
>>
>>50938140
>somebody cast this on me when i had an embermaw hellion out, omnath and 8 5/5s
He died for it but holy shit did i get btfo for 19 damage
>>
>>50942686
>>50942686
The thing I don't like about just running threaten is that it becomes a dead card if Brion gets killed / i don't have the mana
>>
>>50942721
ye its funnier though.
>>
>>50938606
>anti breya tech
Rakdos charm is a one shot, thopter sword is eternal.
>>
>>50942721
So, few things.

1) You can still dome them with their own guy.

2) You can put it OTHER sac outlets as backups like Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, Goblin Bombardment, etc
>>
>>50942736
I think he meant using it to blow up Deathmantle or Altar to disrupt the combo.
>>
>>50942751
I already run prossh sacrifice guys so I don't want it to feel like a shitty version of that.
>>
>>50942769
So if you don't want to build a deck that involves sacrifice, why the fuck are you building a deck around a creature that sacrifices things?
>>
>>50942781
The only slightly original W/R commander, idk just suggest me other stuff then
>>
>>50942870
I mean, your options are basically to build around his ability to chuck shit at people, to build around him being a Giant, or to completely ignore what makes him 'original' at which point you might as well use literally any R/W commander.
>>
>>50942769
Play flingfect, use the white reanimate and flicker package with an sfm. Run the white and red recruiters with lots of vigilance enablers.
>>
>>50942870
How about you don't come into an EDH thread asking for suggestions and then shoot down every one with some half-assed excuse?
>>
>>50942915
Sounds like aids (in a good way), you got a list?
>>
>>50942930
No one else is posting so I thought why not.
>>
File: smug.png (624KB, 634x598px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
624KB, 634x598px
>tfw the first build of a new deck wins its first game
>>
>>50942944
Nobody else is punching themselves in the throat, either. Why don't you do that?
>>
>>50942955
Dude we're discussing about cardboard with pretty paintings, no need to sperg out
>>
>>50942971
"Someone tell me what to build, because I can't be fucked to take any amount of initiative on my own."

You should build X.

"I don't wanna build that. Suggest something else."

It's the same thing every time. "Someone suggest things for my deck." Suggestions. "I can't afford that." If you have some stupid fucking arbitrary restrictions or hangups, make them known before you ask for suggestions.
>>
>>50942986
Then don't replay?
>>
>>50931220
Queen Marchesa
She's my first I built from scratch, She's in my favorite colors, She introduces some fun gameplay, She reminds me of Cersei Lannister who reminds me of my Ex, She's super fun to play, She gives me an excuse to run Lapse of Certainty and Mana Tithe.
>>
>>50933002

Fervor
Emblem of the Warmind
In the Web of War
Mark of Fury
>>
>>50942368
Isnt he legal in duel?
>>
>>50941960
Balance
>>
>>50942986
its more like

i wanna build X using Y or Z for reasons

"no use A hes optimal for doing X"

cool anon, but i asked for Y or Z because of a neat idea i had previously stated

"reee i tried helping, you ungrateful prick! how dare you not use my EDHrec cookiecutter build!"
>>
>>50943560
"I wanna build Brion, but I don't know what type of deck to build"

Suggest Threaten Tribal

"I don't wanna build that because he might get killed"

Okay, so build it with other sac outlets

"I don't wanna build a sac deck"

The original thing was "I wanna build Brion but I don't know what", it was not "I want to build Brion using Y or Z for reasons". Had it LED with "I wanna build Brion around Giant Tribal because I already have a Sac deck" and someone said 'no, build threaten.dec' that would be shitty. But that's not what happened.
>>
File: gitgudfrog.jpg (11KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
gitgudfrog.jpg
11KB, 190x265px
Ok guys I finished my gitrog deck and now I'm looking for some advice or feedback. Currently in the process of acquiring a courser of kruphix but unsure if I should get azusa for it as well, not really on a budget but I don't want to go crazy with other fetches or og dual lands

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-and-necrotics-bogus-journey/
>>
>>50942628
The Stoutarm deck I built was kinda group hug control deck, with manaflare and howling mine effects, but this was all a clever ruse so I could threaten/copy/reanimate/sac everything.

It also ran a few infinite combos like restoration angel/kiki and dualcaster/heatshimmer as backup in case Brion got shit on to hard.

I also had every damage doubling effect like Furnace of Rath. Also only go with the instant speed threatens.

Sadly I gifted the deck to a friend who didn't have a commander deck and liked using it when he played with us.
>>
Outside of Assault Suit, Worldslayer, Sunforger and Mass Land Destruction, what would be cool cards to throw into a Zurgo Helmsmasher voltron deck all about crushing everything beneath me?
>>
>>50943673
Sword of Kaldra
>>
File: IMG_1171.png (111KB, 276x329px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1171.png
111KB, 276x329px
>tfw looking at R/W commanders to build a token swarm deck for my homie.
>they're all pretty interchangable with each other

Shit man, I didn't realize how bad boros bros had it.
>>
>>50943647
>Go crazy with other fetches
If ever there was a 2 color deck that justified running all 7 of the fetches it can legally run, it's Gitrog. I can understand working on a budget, but if you were gonna sink money into it you'd want to pick up all the fetches before a Bayou for this one.

You have some really suboptimal choices in here. Banshee of the Dread Choir and Bloodrite Invoker aren't really worth the slots. I feel like you should remove Devoted Druid/Quillspike; it's a cute combo, but there's better things to be run.

I'm not a fan of Khalni Garden here; I get that you plan to recur it and sac it to get a token every time, but that's really not worth the tempo loss of it always ETB tapped.

Reclaim is a little mediocre, I'd swap Doom Blade for a Hero's Downfall, Caravan Vigil is pretty mediocre. I'd trim some of your mana dorks and the Dark Ritual for more land-fetching ramp.
>>
>>50943691
Yeah it's pretty much aggro guys, voltron guys, & Brion.
>>
>>50943720
Ok so what should I replace bloodrite invoker and banshee with? I can't guarantee getting a bayou anytime soon unless my group lets me proxy.
>>
>>50943691
Now I want to build a deck that is just all the Boros Commanders + staples and just randomly picks one before the start of the game.
>>
>>50943583
its not like he is going to list every deck he has or every nusiance of his meta in one post.
>>
>>50943767
That actually sounds pretty fun. Include some angel tribal support for maximum spice, a surprising number of the boros commanders/ white staples im seeing on EDHrec are angels.
>>
File: Memnarch_DS.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Memnarch_DS.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>50931295
Hey, nice mana rocks. Mind if I borrow them? Oh, hey, that's a pretty broken enchantment. I'll be borrowing that. Oh, you're out of things for me to borrow? I'll just take those lands. ALL WILL BECOME ONE WITH ME.
>>
>>50938140
I always end up using it as graveyard hate. Really love BTFO of a meren/daretti deck that thinks they have free access to their graveyard
>>
>>50943742
On that note I'm building Brion for funsies, any secret tech or suggestions?
>>
>>50943906
Shit why don't we all just play "take control" creatures then, I could do that
>>
>>50943805
No, but he could say "Hey, I want to build a Brion Stoutarm deck, but I kinda want to avoid X Y Z because I already have decks that do that".

Or, if he's not going to 'list every deck he has or every nuance of his meta in one post', but is going to shoot down every suggestion with some whiny "No, cuz I don't wanna", then he shouldn't fucking ask.
>>
>>50941960
Karakas. What if I want to bounce my own commander you thunder thighs mcbitchtits?
>>
File: arjun.jpg (11KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
arjun.jpg
11KB, 178x248px
Fist draft of my Arjun deck, looking for feedback.
All tips welcome!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/30-12-16-arjun/
>>
>>50943673
I always got a kick out of darksteel juggernaut
>>
>>50944202
Honestly, if you wanted to run Karakas purely to hit your own Commanders, I'm sure your group would let you run it.
>>
>>50944226
Extract to get rid of titans and pull the mill win.
>>
>>50940198
The improper use was to denote its satirical use, anon
>>
>>50944284
Nice, was actually thinking of playing something like this
>>
>>50943767
Basically my Boros deck. Anax and Cymede were the most common, but Tajic or Iroas if I wanted to win.

Though Anax has blown out.
>>
>>50941907
Cool idea anon.
>>
>>50943647
no manabond?
>>
>>50945080
...why would that go in Gitrog? It has antisynergy.
>>
>>50931573
You don't need ABUR duals, and I'd only recommend the ally colored fetches. Painlands are good and cheap, checklands and the BFZ lands are good if you have a decent number of basics. Aether hub is basically a vivid land that enters untapped.
>>
>>50945508
>I'd only recommend the ally colored fetches
So, exactly one or two fetches depending on the color combination?
>>
>>50931607
It's worth running them just so you don't get BTFO by "destroy all non-basic lands" effects. Extraplanar lens would be a nice bonus though.
>>
>>50945487

I'm bad at magic [spoiler/]
>>
>>50943767
This is how I play my Sultai Legion of Doom
Keeps games interesting to say the least
>>
What are some good "draw" spells that don't actually draw cards for mono blue?
I already know of Fact or Fiction and Future Sight type effects, but are there more?
>>
>>50945694
Scroll Rack is the god of this effect

Blue has plenty of ways to shuffle
>>
>>50943946
I'd suggest some protective auras on him so they can't just kill him. Stuff like gift of immortality.
>>
>>50943946
Adding to that, artifact creatures and modular probably synergize really well with what his type of game plan is. Also maybe some protective spells like ghostly prison and anti-combo may help so you won't get btfo while you're destroying your own forces.
>>
>>50945941
Part of me still wants to build a Basandra deck that just hides behind Ghostly Prisons while forcing other creatures to attack.
>>
>>50945894
>>50945941
And actually with the way his ability works he can gain you a ton of life too. Shit like ajani's pridemate or sunbond might get out of hand if left unchecked.
You can go norin/ soul sisters to compliment the lifegain strat if you plan t use it.
>>
File: darksteel.jpg (82KB, 728x916px) Image search: [Google]
darksteel.jpg
82KB, 728x916px
>>50943946
Here's my list. It's change ever so slightly (Removed Hammer of Purphoros for Cathartic Reunion, Taurean Mauler for Selfless Squire)

The new Selfless Squire is another XBOXHUEG creature to join the ranks of Serra Avatar/Malignus.

Preacher is hilarious if you put it out early mid game. He's not needed, and he's not that great desu, but he's hilarious to have around.

Feldon is a must. I won a game when someone had Iona naming White out. All I did was use Wheels to eventually get Gisela at EoT/Heartless Hidetsugu at my turn out to kill him off. (Making sure he was at an even life total.)

Fatal Frenzy/Soul's Fire/Warstorm Surge to get in there.

Nahiri, the Harbinger shines in a deck like this as much as she shines in a Breya deck (Blightsteel)
>>
>>50946006
>>50943946
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/brion-stoutarm-the-basketball-player/
>forgetting to copy paste
>>
>>50945964
That a actually sounds like a neat way to build her. Go the control route instead of creature swinging. add in some white hatebears and a lodestone golem, make everyone's miserable, then Win with... something.
>>
File: 28.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
>>50931220
>1 mana
>6/6
>flying
>lifelink
defend this
>>
File: kaho.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
kaho.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
Viable leader? how would she work?
>>
>>50946078
Play Lightmine Field, Repercussion, and Sphere of Safety.

Force their guys to attack en mass, get hurt, and dome their controller.

Laugh.
>>
>>50946098
It's a very scary Turn 1 play that will paint a huge target on your face for the next half hour, even if it immediately eats an Innocent Blood.

It's still very EFFICIENT on turn 5 as a one-drop, but not nearly as scary.
>>
>>50946152
She's... dodgy. You'd want an easy way to get her back into your hand or the Command Zone to re-use her ETB, but you also lose whatever she had exiled if she gets killed before you can utilize it.
>>
>>50946098
>only a 6 turn clock by itself
>drop it t1 and magically get hated off the board
> provided you kill 1 person you still have the rest to deal with and they're gonna be gunning for you.
>timmy cast plummet.

EZPZ
>>
>>50946168
It is also a very good follow-up card after your opponent countered/destroyed something you just casted.

Honestly, it should be banned in this format.
>>
>>50945508
Checklands remain good even after getting fetches, shocks and ABUR duals, BFZ lands not so much.
>>
>>50946212
It's a very good card, but it's miles short of needing to be banned. It takes 6 turns to kill one person unmolested, has absolutely no protection built into itself, and most importantly is it paints a -huge- target on you.

The things that get banned are things that can just immediately invalidate the game on their own (like Worldfire), or which turn the game into "Close/Steal/Reanimate this creature", like Prime Time, or which generate such value even if they're killed that it's crippling (like Sylvan Primordial)

Serra Ascendant is a very efficient beater that paints a target on your face, and whose biggest strength diminishes every turn past "1" you go.
>>
>>50946160
Yes. Yes this is perfect. But what's our backup plan?
>>
>>50946177
hexproof items?
>>
File: Elite_Arcanist.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Elite_Arcanist.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>50946152
She wishes she was more like pic related
>>
>>50946203
>only a 6 turn clock by itself
what exactly you mean?

>drop it t1 and magically get hated off the board
>using the 'hate' meme

>provided you kill 1 person you still have the rest to deal with
Who the hell said the objective is to kill an opponent with one card? Let me put it this way: if you attack with it ONCE, you get 6 life and another opponent loses 6, so you get a very good life advantage on him; that without mentioning combos with lifegain. For 1 mana it's a very broken card.
>>
So, how good is Breya? I'm considering converting over my Slobad stax deck to a more playgroup-friendly artifact goodstuff/control list.
>>
>>50946262
Oh, it's doable. But even assuming you drop a turn 1 Sol Ring into Greaves, drop her Turn 2 and equip her...

You tutor up 3 instants and have access to them until she leaves the board, at full price, and only one per turn unless you have a way to untap her. There's possibly a way to abuse that, but the weird pseudo-tutoring in BLUE, the color with the best draw, seems... eh.

You can build it, but there's really no good reason to beyond "I want to". If you wanted to build a goofy blue spellslinger deck it'd almost certainly be better with ARcanis at the helm.
>>
File: image.png (3MB, 680x904px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 680x904px
>>50946274
>Breya
>playgroup-friendly
>>
>>50946269
>What exactly do you mean?
It's a 6/6. In a 40 life format, that means it has to connect with a player 6 times to kill them, assuming no other damage. "Six turn clock".

>Hate meme
It's accurate, though. Playing a turn 1 Ascendant immediately turns the game into 3v1 for the next half hour, and it doesn't provide anywhere near enough value for that offset.

>If you attack with it ONCE
Yes, if you only get to swing once that's a very good card. It's still nowhere fucking near 'broken'.
>>
>>50946239
>It takes 6 turns to kill one person unmolested
are you considering 30 life?

>it paints a -huge- target on you
honestly, by that logic no one should play any good cards.

>whose biggest strength diminishes every turn past "1" you go
even mid-game it's still a very good card, especially as a follow-up to catch people by surprise, after an expensive cast getting countered or some shit. It's just like Goyf; cheap, and hits well, but costs less. It's not a card supposed to win, just to be good.
>>
>>50946098
You have to play White.
>>
>>50946309
>It's a 6/6. In a 40 life format, that means it has to connect with a player 6 times to kill them
6x6=36. Also, there is the turn it enters the battlefield, so..

>Playing a turn 1 Ascendant immediately turns the game into 3v1
if that was true, no one would play any good card

>It's still nowhere fucking near 'broken'
it's a good advantage for 1 mana
>>
>>50946330
>Are you considering 30 life?
Since we're not discussing the abomination that is Duel Commander, no I'm not.

>By that logic no one should play any good cards
You play cards that get you enough value to justify the backlash. Rhystic Study, for example, is a card that generates a ton of value but generally very little retaliation. Tooth and Nail is a card that will get retaliation, but usually they don't get a chance because you win the game on the spot. Serra Ascendant is a good card that gets you WAY more retaliation than the value it provides, which dampens how 'broken' it is.

>even mid-game it's still a very good card
Yes. It is a very good card. It is a very efficient beater for a low amount of mana. It's still nice to get a 6/6 flier for 1 on turn 7, it's just a lot less terrifying than it is on turn 1. I am not arguing that it is bad, I'm arguing that it is far short of 'broken'. Also, Tarmogoyf (as you may notice) is nigh unplayable in Commander because it turns out "a vanilla 6/7 for 2" just isn't good enough.
>>
>>50946352
Yeah, I didn't check his math, I'm a dumbass. That's on me.

For the 'no one would play any good card' argument, see >>50946363

And for the third. same. There is an entire spectrum between Sorrow's Path and 'absolutely broken'. I'm not arguing that Ascendant is a bad card, I'm arguing that while it's a very good creature, it is far, far, far short of 'broken' or in need of being banned.
>>
File: Image-99.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-99.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>50946269
>/edhg/ in charge of being good at magic

:^)
>>
>>50946283
damn. I'll make a Kaho water-bender deck one day.
>>
>>50946437
Oh, if you wanna build one just for grins, fuck what's "efficient". You do you, just be aware that it'll be a little underpowered.

There's a difference between "Kaho has a neat effect, is it playable?" and "I wanna build a fucking Kaho deck".
>>
>>50946407
Right, because out of all the "free" counterspells you have access too in commander that's the one you'd include.
>>
>>50946532
It's just an old maymay
>>
>>50946458
water elementals for days then
>>
>>50946584
My friend, I have brews for a 'winter themed' deck and other similar nonsense

You build what makes you happy.
>>
>>50946152
She's really fun in a mid tier/low tier environment. I built her a few years ago, and her ETB is really easy to abuse. There's a few new flicker cards in blue too, I think.

What's great is that she fits in Azami pretty well for me. I use to have her pilot the deck, and then just draw counterspell backup for my combos (MoM and Lab Man).

She's definitely worth the time.
>>
>>50938567
not something animar cares about
>>
>>50946682
...do you think that protection from white stops Wrath of God?
>>
>>50946673
How exactly is it 'easy to abuse'?
>>
>>50946532

>>50946562 is right but if you actually think MM is bad then that just means you don't play against T1 decks that often.
>>
>>50946604
i'll.. I'LL do it anon! no one can stop me!
>>
>>50946722
Any flicker let's you get a new subset of cards to work with. Blue is the second best color at flickering, especially when you can refill your instant packages pretty easily in blue (graveyard shuffle effects, return instant/sorc to hand).

Usually when I played her, it was go find 2 counter spells and ghostly flicker.
>>
>>50946723
MM is a 'meta' thing. It's good in T1 decks because they have 1 mana shit to disrupt. In your average 4 person battlecruiser game, you might get to snipe a Sol Ring or something, but there's very few times where a MM is the deciding play of a game.
>>
>>50946739
>Winter themed deck
>Anon
>>
>>50946750
...and as soon as you flicker her, you lose access to the other cards. That's not 'easy to abuse', that's literally just resetting her. I mean yeah, finding 2 spells and a way to flicker her (or get a Flicker back) is good, but that's not really 'abusing' her.
>>
>>50946739
Do it. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, and genuinely hope that it brings you no small amount of joy.
>>
>>50946723
Ah, forgive me ive only started EDH recently, and by extension browsing these threads. I know mental misstep is good I just didnt think it was very good in commander.
>>
>>50946851
Generally, it's not. It's very useful in highly competitive decks, but in your average multiplayer 75%/Pubstomp it's not worth the slot, outside the rare occasion you get to troll someone by hitting their T1 Sol Ring.
>>
File: IMG_1822.png (78KB, 282x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1822.png
78KB, 282x300px
Does scytheclaw or quietus spike trigger twice or once with a creature double strike?
>>
>>50946896
Twice, because each instance of damage is different.

Say you swing with Scytheclaw on a Dragon-Style Twins. Swing at an opponent with 40 life; they take 4, Scytheclaw triggers, they lose 18 life. Second hit smacks them for 4 putting them to 14, Scytheclaw triggers, they lose 7 life and end up at 7.
>>
>>50946769
The point is that once she has no other cards to cast, you flicker her and reset. I say abuse because she probably want's meant for that type of use, so getting more gas out of her really effectively, and at instant speed is pretty darn good. Especially if it's response to removal of her.

I had Akroma's Memorial in mine, so there were instances where I would respond to a game winning spell (insurrection/tooth/nail/ectect) with an exiled flicker spell, flicker, get a new subset of spells, and then proceed to counter that new spell.

Granted that's a large combo and haste enablers in mono blue are nearly nonexistence, but I figure you could do it at eot too and have a new set of spells ready as well.
>>
>>50946969
>response to removal of her
What fucking moron is casting removal on her when you visibly have 3 mana open and a Ghostly Flicker exiled for her?
>>
>>50945487
Mine has it and it's allright. My gitfrog has some reanimation though, too.
>>
>>50946948
Nice, thanks for the response anon. definitely putting both of those equipments in my ruhan deck now.
>>
>>50942950
this so much. Played my Azami which I just finished, turn 1 Sage of Epithir, Turn 2 Sky diamond, turn 4 Gilded lotus into phyrexian metamorph, and drew Mind over matter the next turn. Feels good.
>>
>>50946723
Competitive EDH is a meme though
>>
>>50947129
Yeah nah. You're confusing it with French EDH.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-26-11-41-38.png (369KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-26-11-41-38.png
369KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone had great success playing Oloro? I know it's kinda lame bit it's just one of several side projects.

I am already running Alhammaret's Archive/Well of Lost Dreams/Exsanguinate/Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood/ Defiant Bloodlord/Felidar Sovereign/ Aetherflux Resivour, and all the basics.

I want to take out a few bombs with ridiculous mana cost and put in some more affordable bodies.

What are some really powerful Esper Creatures around 2-4 mana for the life gain theme? Not necessarily what everyone plays, but a somewhat meaty creature that gains you life somehow. I'm almost thinking of dropping in a 2/2 for 2 mana that gains 2 life when it untaps, but I feel like I can do better.
>>
File: 1481081152618.jpg (75KB, 1024x925px) Image search: [Google]
1481081152618.jpg
75KB, 1024x925px
>>50947129
This
>>
File: lone_rider_it_that_rides_as_one.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
lone_rider_it_that_rides_as_one.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>50947362
>>
>>50946266

How is Kaho not strictly better than that?
>>
>>50947433
ARcanist never runs out of juice
>>
>>50947464

Oh I see the difference now, cast the exiled card vs copy it
>>
File: 28.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
Pic related is MY NIGGA

but I'm really struggling with mono-white. It's either stax or angel beatdown or what?

I need to find a theme
>>
>>50947362
Just make sure you don't want to stay friends with the people you play with
>>
>>50947722
Weenies, hatebears, voltron, pillowfort, lifegain
>>
>>50947722
Resto angel is Mangara's waifu.
>>
>>50947722
I use him in my Brago flicker deck
>activate Mangara, targeting troublesome thing
>in response flicker him with a flicker spell
>Mangara re-enters as a new object
>ability resolves and exiles the other thing (but not Mangara)
It doesn't work with Brago's own effect, because his is only on combat damage, but I have a lot of flicker enablers so he usually works with those. The trick is that the flicker has to respond to Mangara's ability.
>>
File: 1478488003185.jpg (22KB, 315x348px) Image search: [Google]
1478488003185.jpg
22KB, 315x348px
>>50947762
Oh I get destroyed all the time. We have a very unhealthy meta where one person wins 75% of the time.

I could start playing land destruction and they would basically have to deal with it. I just choose to play like a Johnny, and have a few spike decks as well. I don't like to be predictable whereas they play the same deck all the time.

I would also argue Green Omnath or Daretti are more abusive.
>>
>>50947231
Those are the same thing.

Do you think that people play Competitive 4 player EDH?
>>
People have been getting really annoyed and salty over my new ally deck. I built it around ETB and general tribal goodness and it recks face. I did not even expect it to perform so good, having won 9 out of 11 games (all 4+ players on the table). What can I build to tone it down a bit and have fun? Was thinking of blue/green big baddies, really wanted to do monogreen but am considering Momir Vig as my commander.
>>
File: s1202.jpg (283KB, 1000x1383px) Image search: [Google]
s1202.jpg
283KB, 1000x1383px
>>50948374
I do. I also pay duel.
If the playgroup is more casual I'll play a more casual deck, but I don't see the point of playing a game to not win it, or to intentionally, arbitrarily, handicap yourself.
>>
>>50948412
>I'll play a more casual deck, but I don't see the point of playing a game to not win it, or to intentionally, arbitrarily handicap yourself
>I'll play a more casual deck
>I odn't see the point of... arbitrarily handicap yourself

Because 'winning' isn't necessarily the end goal for everyone. When I play Commander, I play it to have fun with my friends and crack jokes for a few hours, and maybe get a new story to tell about "this crazy game we had". Do I prefer winning to losing? Yeah. But I'd rather lose a fun game than win a boring one. I'm not saying you are wrong to want to win- just understand that "win" is not everyone's primary goal in a casual format.
>>
File: 1482849781426.jpg (34KB, 600x539px) Image search: [Google]
1482849781426.jpg
34KB, 600x539px
>>50948412
A test of skill between evenly matched decks rather than a test of who had blown more money on $30 cards is always nice.
>>
>>50948393
>tone it down a bit
>first thought is to go U/G

kys yourself gayboy
>>
File: 3MxCX.jpg (122KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
3MxCX.jpg
122KB, 500x663px
>>50948311
I undastahnd. Sorry to make assumptions. I just hate Oloro because of a particular friend's deck I have yet to beat

>mfw I actually run mono-green Omnath
>>
>>50948393
>tone it down to momir vig
>a better Tazri basically
>UGx
>>
>>50948452
And sometimes it's nice to just gather up your goofy ass decks and play a few fuckaround games with Futurama on in the background and a pizza on the way.
>>
THE SOLUTION IS THIS:

Make your good deck with the money cards. Make it gross and oppressive. THEN, make a second deck that has your low or medium power pet cards that youve always wanted to use. Everyone has them.

Use that deck once you've beaten someone's good deck and your friends get sick of playing it.

Improve it over time, and repeat with new ones. That way you always have a deck for regular Edh or 'competitive'.
>>
>>50948544
Damn nigga we are all the same. Would gladly join you, friend.
>>
>>50948567
I mean, my group got into EDH about a year and a half before the first Commander product, and we had no shop so we mostly played at a pizza place. I have many a happy memory of "OH SHIT" moments after someone did some big dumb thing, then we all laughed and went up to the buffet.
>>
>>50948508
>>50948458
samefag
>>
File: neck yourself kid.png (22KB, 494x371px) Image search: [Google]
neck yourself kid.png
22KB, 494x371px
>>50948679
>>
>>50948393
who are you
>>
>>50948695
:^(
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I am sure monored goblin tribal will be good in the future sets.
>>
>>50948794
I mean, it's more that "switch to UG" is not exactly how you 'tone' anything down. UG is a boogeyman around here because of how easy it is to just "oops I accidentally goodstuff". I mean, you absolutely could build a UG deck and intentionally kneecap yourself to make it 'toned down', but that's the thing: intentional.
>>
>>50948551
i want nah;iri
i want the sexe how do i do the sexe?
sorin ALIVE INRAVNICA not in stone he come ugin and make the three good but with out bitch nahirji
>>
>>50948374
Of course, I do too in a single group. It's pretty much vintage singleton group, so it makes sense.
Depending on who's present and how many of us are there, we split our group usually with combofags and everyone else. I am the 'everyone else' category, since my decks are way more casual than other guys decks, nevermind on what deck I play, even if it's my +800$ combo deck.
>>
>>50948939
I understand. What would be an ideal commander for casual edh play though? I mostly play white but have gotten quite bored as of lately. My other decks is Daxos (W/B enchantments) and a failed Sakashima copy paste deck (I opened him on some random booster foil I found). Another question is how would I make big bad blue without much control and make sakashima great again? Could try another commander.
>>
>>50948544
Oh yeah fuck around decks are the best.
>>
File: 286cOitm (1).jpg (42KB, 716x716px) Image search: [Google]
286cOitm (1).jpg
42KB, 716x716px
Does your group have any houserules, /edhg/? We've recently bumped infect to 15 after we were killed by blightsteel and Atraxa one too many times
>>
>>50949006
Akiri affinity
>>
>>50949020
Would you say that Poison is your playgroup's Bane?
>>
>>50949020
Sounds like you're a bunch of scrublords.
>>
>>50949415
>>50949415
>>50949415

sorry if i fucked up the OP
>>
>>50936417
I love this fucking card. Using Crop Rotation to throw it into play before their attack is so satisfying. I've never seen anyone else run it.
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.