[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Games General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 30

File: oie_4xs8yeEIBpDW.jpg (695KB, 1123x731px) Image search: [Google]
oie_4xs8yeEIBpDW.jpg
695KB, 1123x731px
/bgg/ - Traditional Games Are Cool Too

Previous thread:
>>50828932

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Which traditional board game do you play the most?
>>
Repost

Anyone here has some experience with Bookdepository when they are restocking FFG items?

I want to buy Descent / Cosmic Incursion of them and both items are now "on the boat" in the FFG upcoming section.

Does anyone know how long it takes for stuff that are in stores to hit book depo?
>>
>>50895374
Your best bet would be to email them directly and ask.
>>
File: whq01_main.png (160KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
whq01_main.png
160KB, 300x300px
Are there any additional, fanmade or whatever, campaigns or quests for pic related? It's a good game,soon to die the death of negligence. ;_;
I just want more dungeon material.
>>
>>50895374
FFG's on the boat usually means a month or two before reaching stores.
>>
>>50895672
If I wanted Abed El-Naser to copy and paste a "we don't know when this product will be in stock" I'd just go find the closest Mosk and ask.
>>
Why is space hulk death angel going OOP?
>>
File: 1445682329_EEEEELVES.png (306KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1445682329_EEEEELVES.png
306KB, 800x800px
>>50895697
I've been thinking of trying to convert the Vermintide campaign straight off to the WHQ card game.

There's a lot of different missions/scenarios to use as templates for quest cards, having an Ubersreik urban setting will make for a nice backdrop and you can make additional skaven monsters and use the orc/goblin monsters as placeholders for them.

>No Markus Kruber character in WHQcg
>>
>>50896119
Because FFG broke the license with GW
>>
>>50896119
>>50896216

are the expansions actually worth anything? (gameplay wise)
>>
>>50896272
From what I understood, they are nice bonuses, but just not worth it and don't make or break the game, just nice extras and a good freshener when you played the game to death.

As is right now just buy the base game for the 15$~20$ its worth and enjoy a great game before it wont be available anymore.
>>
>>50896333
well i have it from years ago, but only managed to play with with my brother 1 time before we forgot about it.

same with chaos of the old world, though we played that like a dozen times

horned rat though. : <
>>
>>50896430
Chaos never struck me as a good game, its nice and has a cool theme if you are into that, but there are so many better games that fill the same niche
>>
>>50895956
better answer than you'll get here shithead
>>
Do any of you guys use any interesting house rules with any games?
I find letting people choose between different types of dice in classic "move around the board" games can add a strong element of strategy to normally more shallow games like Monopoly.
>>
Sup /bgg/
Local store having a sale, been eyeing Allies and axis and twilight imperuim.
which of the two should i pick up and if i go for allies and axis should i go for first or second edition.
>>
>>50896974
better idea to skip Monopoly altogether
>>
>>50897021
What an original opinion. Thanks for your input.
>>
Any one of you guys played aggrevation before?
>>
File: IMG_8181.jpg (171KB, 1600x1330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8181.jpg
171KB, 1600x1330px
Has anyone ever tried playing pic related?
>>
>>50897033
no prob. If you have other games you'd like to be told are bad, go right ahead. I'm feeling very helpful today
>>
File: 1554357.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
1554357.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
Here's the christmas haul, spoiled steev is spoiled.

>>50895207
>Which traditional board game do you play the most?
Chess with the dad. He still kicks my trash, used to play tournaments when he was young.

>>50897016
Twilight imperium, hands down. Axis and Allies is very nearly as long with the same playercount, and nowhere near as interesting a game.
>>
Thoughts on Dark Darker Darkest? It's on sale right now on Amazon for $17
>>
>>50897343
I've never heard of it but it seems to generate mixed feelings based on reviews from amazon (which is surprising, it seems like amazon reviewers love everything) and board game geek. You may want to read some of those reviews but seeing as how amazon has knocked off $35 I'd be tempted to snag it anyway
>>
>>50897343

Good games don't cost $17 unless they're just, like, a deck of cards.
>>
>>50897916
>17 for a deck of cards
do you live in Australia or something
>>
>>50897223
Strong Hold 2nd Ed - YES! And I'm still going to Ninja my way over to your house (but I'm totally NOT stalking you or anything) and steal Santorini. (So jelly!) I looked at Inis recently but didn't snag it, same with New Angeles. Still haven't seen a copy of Secret Hitler around.

My game swag included Quartermaster General and the Air Marshal expansion. I'm so looking forward to those.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5kjp0k/what_is_your_overrated_game/dboighb/

Is there anywhere where the SJW cancer doesn't spread?
>>
>>50898426
The hell? What even was the comment?

But I think the OP post is an interesting discussion topic
>>
>>50898527
> This is the only answer in the thread that has triggered me, so far.
> I LOVE HOW DRY DOMINION IS.

https://unreddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5kjp0k/what_is_your_overrated_game/

Well not my game (it my friend's) but for me the most overrated game is Cosmic Encounters. Though, upon more thought it only highlights problem with the genre.
>>
>>50897191
No I've been on this board long enough to know that your list of "good" games will be a bunch of historically themed resource-management snorefests and glorified children's trading card games.
>>
>>50898426
It's fucking Reddit. What did you even expect?
>>
>>50897854
Yeah Dark Darker Darkest appears to have polarized people. Seems like the first iteration of the rules was real crappy, and after tons of critique and feedback, the author released a revised ruleset that allegedly fixed most of the problems the game had. A guy in that thread even said it went from a 5/10 to a 9.5/10. Guess I'll go for it, I could do worse for $17 bucks. Hell it might actually be good, and just got stuck with the bad rep.
>>
>>50898775
Not much.

I've been trimming the list of subscribed subreddits I'm on since ages. It's mostly down to hobby related ones because other ones are retard-ridden. 4
>>
>>50898860
Let me know how you like it anon
>>
>>50898770
>Children's card games
Yugioh is generally disliked here though, and pokemon isn't discussed at all.

And isn't Monopoly a children's game?
>>
>>50896454
Name em
>>
I got a $50 amazon gift card, what board game should I buy? So far I'm looking a time fury of Dracula, Imperial assault, descent, dead of winter or legends of andor. These were recommended by a friend but he's kind of hit or miss in the past. Advice?
>>
>>50897180
No but I'm always up to try a game which lists "vagina (2)" on its components list
>>
>>50899157
Pokemons current standard is actually the best out of all the major tcg's.
Still sucks it can't do draft though.
>>
>>50899438
Dracula. Even if you don't like it (which you should because it's excellent) the price is going to skyrocket in coming months because it's going out of print indefinitely.
>>
>>50899507
Thanks I was leaning that way but this confirms it
>>
>>50896974
In Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, I have toyed with the idea of nerfing the driver slightly. Gonna try one of them next time I play.

Outside of that, not really. I however do love modular games. Modular games like Galaxy Trucker and Millennium Blades are great. A good modular game fills the purpose house ruling would without having to bring your own questionable judgement into the equation.
>>
>>50899438
>fury of Dracula

If you like 1 vs. all games and hidden movement

>Imperial assault

If you want to buy into a miniature skirmish game and sink money into it

>Descent

If you want a light-RPG dungeon-crawler

>dead of winter

If you like zombies and semi-cooperative aspects with possible betrayers

>Legends of andor

If you want a puzzly cooperative game that is much less about killing and much more about tracking movement and being strategic
>>
Thoughts on Arkham Horror?
>>
>>50899438
If you're thinking of Dead of Winter, look at the 2nd Game 'Long Night' as it fixes a few issues that were a problem in the first game.
>>
>>50897916
DotP: Shadows over Innistrad is $9 right now.
>inb4 good games
Sometimes overproduction shaves prices harder than quality. The game is good but can be found by the dozens at every Wal Mart and Target across the nation which is absolutely millions more than the current audience for a Heroscape clone, WotC didn't learn their lesson at all.
>>
>>50898775
Shame is reddit actually spews into real life unlike tumblr or 4chan. Shit's full of normies not smart enough to keep their hot opinions online.
>>
File: 523466.jpg (187KB, 909x432px) Image search: [Google]
523466.jpg
187KB, 909x432px
Which one should I get?
>>
>>50898426
As a psychologist I applaud how much these faggots improve the necessity for my practice.
>>
>>50901022
Most fun: Dominant Species
Easiest to get played: Evolution
My choice: BIOS Genesis
>>
>>50901022
>Which one should I get first?
There, much better.
>>
>>50898289
>>50897223
Is Stronghold good? It looks cool but the fact that it's only for 2 players makes me hesitate. Also, how's the variety? What factors make it so every play isn't the same?
>>
File: 1554358.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
1554358.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
Got another play in with Kemet+Ta Seti. Dumpstered my friends with a wierd blue/red/black build focusing on defensive upgrades, they couldn't get me out of the temples to save their lives. Wound up something like 12vp to 7/6/6. Sodium levels at maximum.

>>50901591
No idea yet, haven't gotten a game in, but I'll try and have some thoughts after a couple runs. But much of the setup for both sides seems to be variable, and there's some hidden information in interesting spots, so it shouldn't be too rote.
>>
>>50901014
>tumblr doesn't spew into real life
Nigga you high or something?
>>
>>50901591
Interestingly enough, there's some links that should help answer your questions...

Review: Geeks vs Games - looks at pros & cons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHawva_Its

Rodney Smith - How to play (Good learning tool.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiV4C-ZujqY

Most recent rule book PDF (You'll need a BGG user account to download)

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122767/official-english-rules
>>
>>50901846
It doesn't spew into rea-real life. If you throw that shit down in the street or an industrial enviroment you get chewed to death.
It has taken hold of journalism and entertainment because /pol/ is right about jew nepotism and at universities because teachers are the greatest victim-complex faggots there are.
>>
>>50901148
Do you like Theodore Darlymple?
>>
>>50901022
BIOS: Genesis
>>
>>50901702
Played Kemet Ta-Seti first time today.

Started off with what I thought was a good idea of getting Legion and Mercenaries in round 1, and later Serpent and open gates on rounds 2.

Couldn't sustain the actually building an army on top of keeping up with upgrades and ended up with something like 2 battle VP at the end of the game.

Is there an official ruling on how does Initiative interact with priests? The player who got Initiative removed priests as his action on every attack.

Also I wonder how the item that blocks the skill interacts with Legion.
>>
>>50902465
Yes, and I don't actually enjoy the damage trigger warnings do unto phobics and PTSD sufferers, I was being misanthropic for teh lulz.
>>
>>50902714
Yeah understood you were being sarcastic. Can't remember the exact article of his but I remember Dalrymple writing about the damage that "PTSD" and trigger warnings does and I thought you might enjoy his writings.
>>
>>50902793
Yes, I deal with fear a lot and am very fond of anyone who thinks coddling walks the fine line between bullshit and medical negligence.

The funniest part of trigger warnings is that "trigger warning" itself is a distresser. And oftentimes encourages exposure because it shines a fucking spotlight over what it pretends to "shelter" people from.
>>
>>50903052
Yeah, I always thought trigger warnings predispose self-diagnosed "PTSD sufferers" to feel offended or vulnerable for shit no one would give shit about if the trigger warnings weren't there, while encouraging them to keep watching/reading for morbid confirmation of their own supposed ailment.
>>
>>50899989

Fifteen years ago it set the bar for production values.

Today, it's a pretty face with utterly trash mechanics.
>>
go
color is random

https://lichess.org/NemLeriL
>>
File: chess.png (154KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
chess.png
154KB, 640x480px
>>50903519

>Click link
>It's Chess, not Go.
>>
File: g.png (643KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
g.png
643KB, 1280x800px
>>50903538
chess then, I can't play go
>>
Has anyone played Duel Fighters?
Why do you think it never took off?
>>
>>50903952
What is that?
>>
>>50904079
A boardgame
>>
>>50904079
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17MzOPVBOwo
A 75mm competitive game that's somewhere between skirmish and programming.

I guess the 75mm is too much for hobbyists, 1v1 too little for wargamers and the programming aspects too hard for casual 1v1 strategy players.
>>
>>50899507
Why is FoD going out of print?
>>
>>50904365
Because corporations are full of faggots who like power gaming more than money.
>>
What are some good horror themed board games
>>
>>50905227

I hear Mr. Jack is pretty intense.
>>
>>50902574
Initiative can't snipe preists, neither can anything else unless priests are all that's left.
Skill blocking prevents forming legion-sized forces, but doesn't mess up pre-existing ones.
>>
>>50897223
>Santorini
Damn kickstarter. I have it pre ordered at my FLGS but sounds like I'm waiting a good couple months for that. I need a new filler easy to teach abstract strategy so that I'm not always relying on Onitama. Don't care much for The Duke.
>>
>>50905227
Betrayal at house on the hill?
>>
how do you guys store your board games? I feel most shelves are to shallow to store most games
>>
>>50905587
Check out Quantum and Raptor.
>>
>>50906452
Ikea kallax or equivalent are the standard.
>>
>>50905227
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space is the only actually scary horror themed board game I can think of.
>>
>>50906721
>actually scary

pls
>>
File: IMG_20161227_224604.jpg (483KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161227_224604.jpg
483KB, 1210x908px
>>50906452
I've just accepted that there's going to be a certain amount of the box hanging out. As long as 70% of the box is on the shelf, it's fine. Some people recommend the cube shelves but I don't like those for longer boxes. I prefer old fashion book shelves, $10 each at a thrift store. No need to spend an absurd amount displaying my games, as long as we can grab them easily.
>>
>>50906743
Found the guy with no imagination
>>
>>50906832
>seafall
What's your opinion on that game? I've been considering buying it myself
>>
>>50897016
Twilight though me and my gaming group hate the game. It's a good game just not what we expected.
>>
What are the states with the best board gaming communities and places that play modern boardgames and not the same old shit like magic and such?
>>
How is Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan? I've been eye balling it as a beginners war game that I could get people interested in the genre with. I've seen it for 45 and wondering if it's worth the price or even just worth buy.
>>
>>50907077
I'm 5 games in. I don't think it's as anywhere near as bad as I've been hearing, but I don't want to praise it too highly either. The legacy aspect is great and much more significantly alters the game than Pandemic Legacy did. The downtime and rules confusions Dice Tower seemed so upset at didn't seem at all like a problem to us. They mentioned Enmity being one of the things they had to keep going back in the rules for and I didn't have that issue. Similarly, they mentioned 3 to 3.5 hour games but my group has been burning through them in 2 hours a session. I will admit there's a couple times that we looked online for a quick answer to a question and that's probably something that wasn't well documented at the time.

All in all, I'm excited to play it some more and see what's next. The story book simplistic and objectives a little too game ending, but they serve their purpose of making the game less dry. We've been having fun naming everything and making up dumb stories about our characters and the islands. There is also a significant amount of stuff you improve on over time. That being said, I haven't been as badly burned on the objective train as some have and I can see where being left out of that would hurt the game for you. Objectives are loaded with permanent upgrades for yourself and it would be super depressing to go for one and then have it stolen from you.
>>
I hope all the faggots whining about the princess in Conan counting as an object when you rescue her and are carrying her to safety, would die in a hostage situation.
>>
>>50901702
>>50902574
I just ordered Kemet last week, would you say the expansion is a must have? or should I get it after the game gets a bit stale to freshen it up?
>>
For anyone who might be tempted by Maydays used car salesman crokinole, check out their latest viceroy update. The first part is the epitome of Mayday.
>>
>>50908475
>Mayday
Yeah when shopping with them you have to remember they're not a game producer, they're really only a components company. Their premium sleeves are decent and they make a lot of sizes the best companies don't (French tarot for Iello's card games comes to mind). Replacement wood pieces for stuff like TtR, Agricola, Catan are all hard to fuck up and cheaper than anywhere else. They've got the Korean import hookup, though those boxes are shitty corrugated cardboard. Swipe/buy one of their mousepads if you ever get a chance at a con, but NEVER EVER buy a game from them that requires the components be good.
>>
>>50897180
I have, what do you want to know anon?
>>
>>50907324
Florida is pretty legit since cool stuff and dice tower are located there.
>>
>>50908927
>everything you said
pls no.
>>
>>50907324
I live in Minnesota and am working on building the community. We have Fantasy Flight HQ, which even if you're a tin foil hat "Asmodee will bring about the end times!" type, will still work as a great place to play. There's 2 other gamestores close by, and one of them offers pretty close to online prices, but they're focused on magic when it comes to their game space. Only at the FF Game Center will you really consistently see people playing boardgames.
>>
Dungeon Command was another good skirmish game that died almost instantly.
Why is WotC so shit to it's costumers?
>>
>>50908944
Don't know why you wouldn't like either of those since they foster an active community around them.
>>
Can someone who owns stockpile tell me about it
>>
>>50905540
Is there a FAQ or official ruling available somewhere for that? I can't find it.
>>50908439
After playing Ta-Seti with all the modules I'd say you can skip it for a while. It adds some complexity to the game which at it's core is really simple.

Even though the mechanics fit, it's still too much for beginners (we had one guy that hasn't played the game) and when explaining the game to new people I'd play without it.

That said:
> The black power tiles module adds a whole lot of variety to the game
> The path to Ta-Seti module adds a new strategic component to the game
> The dawn phase fixes the problem with initiative order (though one person I played it says that it doesn't help a lot and with combination with the new cards makes tactical decisions cheep - I'd had to play more to agree or disagree)
>>
>>50909340
Thanks, I'll see if the group likes it and it hold for 5~6 games and I'll snag the expansion.
>>
File: DiceTower.jpg (114KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DiceTower.jpg
114KB, 1200x1200px
What are your thoughts about Dice Towers?
Would you say its a must have for every board game with dice in it, or just specific few?

I've been contemplating buying pic related or making one by myself from foam-board.
>>
>>50909380
If you care that much about unskewed results just use a dice roller app. Otherwise you better get transparent or casino dice for your games.
>>
>>50909386
I want it to reduce clutter and stop dice from falling everywhere.

Mainly for King of Tokyo, Descent & even those games with one die, it's still super annoying when it falls on the ground.
>>
Any recs for a board game to play with my dad who's really only into chess? Ie no fantasy, no minis, soft theme, "adult" board game

>>50909484
Trays with felt seem cool to me
>>
>>50909502
Thinking Castles of Burgundy but thinking that even the colourfulness of it might seem childish to him
>>
>>50909502
Onitama.
Sell it to him as chinese chess.
>>
>>50909502
Cover Neuroshina: Hex portraits with masking tape leave initiative and direction markers.
>>
>>50909380
I have one that's an actual tower, as in a tube with a spinning stairway to the bottom, it's pretty cute and hastens games a lot. It sometimes takes my players up to 20 seconds to shake and throw their dice just for one to fall of the table or hit another player in the arm and be whined about. With the tower at the center it takes 5-8 seconds for them to grab their dice drop them in and have their result without space for faggotry.
>>
>>50909380
Don't buy/use shit dice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI3N4Qg-JZM
>>
>>50909529
If not for neuroshima's shitty theme, I'd be more willing to play it with people often. Still, the game is great and I have around eight armies.
>>
>>50909502
Memoir 44? Only childish if he makes a connection with those little green men toys.
>>
>>50909502
Twilight Struggle. If he's anything like my dad, having lived through the cold war should be enough to get him hooked.
>>
>>50909502
Just get The Duke.
>>
>>50909380
Dice tower for giant self-made dice, dice tray for standard ones. Another plus of trays is that dice won't hit game pieces and no "it landed halfway on a card piece it's cocked/no it isn't" arguments.

>>50909386
>casino dice
>without dice tray
Nigger what. Every time I see someone using casino dice they tend to place them because big & sharp edges. Roll and bounce fuckers, roll and bounce.
>>
Thanks all! discovered some new games

>>50909708
I have memoir 44 and yea he couldn't get past 1 or 2 games solely based on the minis

>>50909843
Was actually thinking of getting that for myself! I think this has the most potential. Local shop has some limited ed version too

>>50909871
Added to the list

>>50909529
He'd disown me

>>50909519
This could work, but it works against the goal of bringing him into boardgames because it's too close to chess
>>
>>50909972
Splendor?
>>
>>50909972
Any project GIPF game should look boring enough.
>>
>>50909918
>>50909502
I've looked into Trays, unless I make them myself (can't be arsed) they are just super expensive, the tower I linked costs under 10$.

>>50909537
Exactly the reason I want it, some people take forever when shaking dice and after they finally toss the shit and one falls on the ground / touch someone they demand a re-roll.

I think i'll get the cheap-o one.
>>
>>50910021
I just use a shoe box top as a dice tray. They're the right size and depth for dice not to end up everywhere and everyone has one lying around somewhere. Points deducted for style, but IDGAF.
>>
>>50910021
I can't remember the last time anyone rolled a dice off the table in my group.

Maybe you need to play on bigger tables?
>>
>>50910021
>not having a board game table with raised sides and a covered bottom

SHIGGY DIGGY
>>
File: shiggidy.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
shiggidy.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>50910036
Thats the whole point, I want something a bit fancy and not some box top, I even have a small 15x15x5cm box that already has a felt bottom, but it just looks like shit.
>>50910037
It happens, especially in a game with lots of dice and tons of shit on the board, dice go rolling or land on something and people start to bitch and I'd rather spend 10$ on a dice tower rather than buying a new table
>>50910105
>Implying
>>
>>50910105
Not everyone can or is willing to spare >500 burgerbucks on fancy gaming furniture, especially if they're not that deep into the hobby.
>>
>>50909502
Hive plays in, like, 10 minutes. But it will be too soft for a pro chess player.
>>
File: 2dice1cup.jpg (106KB, 610x612px) Image search: [Google]
2dice1cup.jpg
106KB, 610x612px
Another alternative I came across, Dice Cup.
Anyone has any feedback on these?
>>
File: 084[1].png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
084[1].png
102KB, 300x256px
>>50908633
>they're really only a components company
>never buy from them for good components
>>
>>50901702
Btw is this a pic from your game? How do you guys play like that? Having not full-strength troops is like painting cross-hairs on yourself in my group.

The blue/scorpion and black/devourer troops would be sniped by the next player in turn order after their respective player left them there. The not full strength troops in the cities would also probably be snipped by people having open gates.
>>
Anyone here ever play Human Interface: Nakamura Tower?

I bought an open but unused copy on a whim from ebay because the price was super cheap and I'm a sucker for cyberpunk stuff. Is it any good or should I flip it for a profit?
>>
>>50910141
filthycasuals.jpg
>>
>>50910214
Sure, if you want to
a) look like the biggest pretentious prick ever as you do your little dice cup routine.
b) have your dice smell like ass sweat after a while.
>>
I can get both carcassonne and Pandemic 2nd hand (barely used) for 50$, never played either one of them and I saw the gameplay for both and it didnt seem super exciting.

Should I get them anyway since they are pretty solid games?
>>
File: BzRaP6YCYAEmtGD[1].jpg (19KB, 409x464px) Image search: [Google]
BzRaP6YCYAEmtGD[1].jpg
19KB, 409x464px
>>50910310
who smells their dice?
>>
>>50910325
both games are <$30 at Target, so seems like a shit deal even if you wanted them.

Carcassone is great.

I hate co-op board games. But if you like co-op, a lot of people say that Pandemic is the best in the genre.
>>
>>50910234
He didn't say they're a good components company.
>>
Got Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization for X-mas. What am I in for? The rules look complicated as fuck.
>>
Rate my collection!

Zombicide
Zombicide Black Plague with Wulfsburg
Battleship Galaxies
Battle of Indies
Millennium Blades
Boss Monster
Cave Troll
Fury of Dracula
Doom (2016)
Valeria
Dungeon Quest
Drakon
Xenoshyft
Legendary (Plus a bunch of expansions and villains)
Legendary Encounters (aliens and predator)
Tanto Cuore
Kanzumi Godess
Battlelore 2nd edition
Descent 2nd edition (plus all expansions)
Aracida Quest (plus expansion)
All D&D Adventure board games
Gears of War
Elder Sign (plus expansions)
Arkham horror card game
Eldritch Horror
Marvel Vs
DC Deckbuilding game
Ascension (plus a few expansions)
Summoner Wars
Mage Wars (complete, domination, academy)
Don't Turn Your Back
Barbarossa
Potion Explosion
Backgammon
Shut the Box
Pathfinder ACG (Rise of the Runelords)
Warhammer Adventure Card Game
Magic Arena of the Planeswalkers
Dungeon Roll and Zombie Dice
Cards against Humanity
Super Fight
Star Wars Imperial Assault (base game only)
Runewars
Rune age
Runebound 3rd edition (with all available expansions)
Warhammer Diskwars (complete)
Android Mainframe
>>
>>50910384
If only we had a Target at my country.
Since LGS are super expensive, second hand here is usually 80%~90%of the cost of the game + shipping in the cheapest internet retailer
>>
>>50910487
Too ameritrashy for me. Got some good stuff, don't get me wrong, I just prefer euro style
>>
>>50910517

I never cared for the bulk of Euro games to be honest.

I enjoy luck based gameplay because it evens out the players at the table for the most part. Strategy heavy games tend to favor the smarter player and in Euro games it is even more apparent. These games are fantastic if you are playing someone at around the same level you are, but fall apart quickly when there is a massive difference in player levels, which tends to be the case in a lot of gaming groups.

A good mix of strategy and luck is wonderful though. It is why I prefer Backgammon to chess. Well, that and Backgammon and Shut the Box are my go to for gambling games.
>>
>>50910577
>I never cared for the bulk of Euro games to be honest.
>I enjoy luck based gameplay because it evens out the players at the table for the most part. Strategy heavy games tend to favor the smarter player and in Euro games it is even more apparent.

My disgust for you cannot even be measured right now.
>>
Ok I got so sold on Dungeon Command after watching it played, proxying a match and seeing how easy it is to mod that I now have ordered all 5 sets and have three armies planned with my Pathfinder Battles minis that I love but never use in anything because Pathfinder the IP is endearing as fuck but Pathfinder the game was designed by Yog-Sothoth.

>Team little lizards
>Kobold Archer
>Kobold Champion
>Kobold Chieftrain
>Kobold King
>Kobold Trapmaker
>Kobold Warrior
>Fire Elemental
>Salamander x2
>Deinonychus x2
>Young Red Dragon

>Team Castlevania
>Werewolf
>Nosferatu Brother
>Vampire
>Dullahan
>Gargoyle
>Pit Devil
>Flesh Golem
>Bat x2
>Lost Soul x2
>Clockwork Reliquary

>Team Waifus feat. pirates
>Lirianne, the Gunslinger
>Merisiel, the Rogue
>Feiya, the Witch
>Tessa Fairwind
>Rosie Cosswell
>Natalia Vankasherkin
>Giant Eagle
>Pirate Sailor x2
>Falcon x2
>Cannon Golem

Good thing it's holidays and I didn't need to sleep, and fuck WotC for discontinuing good game franchises because they're not making Magic: the Gathering money right away, soggy cunts.
>>
>>50910596
rec some Euro games please
>>
>>50910745
Get Splendor if you want some very basic very fun euro
same with Carcassonne
>>
>>50895207
Hi /bgg/
This might be the wrong place to ask, or the right one, I guess it depends on people's attitudes to rpgs.

I'm an expat with only a few dozen other expats to socialise with (locals tend not to have sufficient grasp of English for rpgs)

Of the other expats, there are only two who have ever played an rpg and one just died.

Games are cool though, Settlers and Cards against Humanity are popular and I could probably get people into anything in the general spectrum of those.

So, what kind of games could I use as a gateway drug to hardcore pen&paper RPGs?

I want to do it slowly over several months.

What would be the path of progression?
>>
>>50911031

Descent maybe. It's got some neat RPG elements, though it might be a bit too focused on combat compared to proper RPGs.
>>
>>50911031
>>50911051
Like this guy said, go with Dungeon Crawlers like Descent and Wrath of Ashardalon.

If you want to focus it into the RPG element just push on some narration when you play, but it might make you out as a weirdo if whenever you land a blow you spew something like "I Strike the archer with my mighty sword".
>>
>>50911051
>Descent
>>50911108
>Dungeon Crawlers like Descent and Wrath of Ashardalon
Those are pretty good ideas and a good halfway point.

Are there any that you'd use to lead from euro games into dungeon crawlers?
>>
>>50911124

Conan was made by the french, does that count?
>>
>>50907324
Northern VA (and the DMV in general) has a goldmine of gamers. That area has some of the smartest and wealthiest communities in the country so it makes sense
NYC has gamers but finding a good spot to play in Manhattan is impossible. There's one BG cafe and one LGS I know of and both are way too cramped. Yeah you could go out to Brooklyn, but who wants to do that? Jerseyside we have some small communities but all the ones near me are hurting due to lack of leadership from the organizers. One of my friends started a Meetup in South Jersey that's flourishing
>>
>>50911124
>>50911148

Though seriously, Conan is a great game and one of the better dungeon crawlers on the market right now.
>>
>>50910487
is diskwars even a game.
>>
>>50911578
>Though seriously, Conan is a great game and one of the better dungeon crawlers on the market right now.
I'll look into it.
>>
>>50911578
i refuse to buy conan until it stops having kickstarter exclusives.
>>
>>50907324
I'm in Mississippi and there aren't any gaming communities within an hour of me. My gaming group consists of me and about 3 other people who are flaky as hell
>>
>>50907521
Is this really a thing?
>>
>>50912174
Shitlord, you better not ignore the blatant objectification of women and the implied rape and subjugation of the females in this disgusting Conan tripe.
We will bring equality to this white male nerd dominated hobby of yours, whether you like it or not.
>>
>>50910325
>>50910384
Co-op games are some of my favorites to expose others to board games outside of monopoly and risk. It allows to get used to making decisions and weighing options while also having other people to help out if they get overwhelmed
>>
>>50910487
>Doom 2016
I've been thinking about buying this. Is it good?
>>
>>50908831
What's your opinion on the game? Is it worth getting?
>>
>>50912040
That's the same bought I'm in
>>
>>50912501
*boat

Fucking hell I can't spell
>>
>>50909380
Dice towers are for sad people. Do you really play with people who you can't even trust to roll some damn dice? Why are these people your friends if you can't even trust them to not cheat on casual game night? Dice trays are a good idea, but dice towers are an awkward to place and move sign of distrust.
>>
>>50912040
Same. The game has so many exclusives that I feel no motivation to buy it. Blood Rage already made me mad but it was just barely on the line of acceptable because it's kickstarter exclusives mostly boiled down to 4 monsters. Only 4 things that really effected gameplay and each of those were essentially just 1 card for the deck. Conan had 25 models of monsters and characters that are exclusives.
>>
>>50912616
For me it's not them cheating I'm worried about. It's the fact that they drop the dice from two feet off the table and they scatter everywhere or they throw their dice across the table...and then they scatter everywhere
>>
>>50912616
Or you could yourself be such a terrible roller that you'd prefer a tower over rolling normally.
>>
>>50910487
Would attend your game nights/10
My only gripe is that you've got a lot of games covering few genres. But hey. Your jam is your jam. The only thing I see missing and I might be wrong because I don't know all these games is a really short and sweet game. Filler.
>>
>>50912753
>>50912790
Ok, got it. So your friends are cave trolls who have zero dexterity. If my 6 year old niece can be trusted to roll within the tray, I would hope some 30 something men can accomplish this.
>>
>>50912377
> whether you like it or not.
Trigga, please. Especially if you don't like it.
>>
>>50912869
Terrible roller as in always rolling 1s at critical junctions during a game you unempathetic fuck.
>>
>>50912040
This and the whole 5 tribes I think it was renaming the slaves are the beginning of the SJW movement in boardgames.

I also one got asked to stop playing cash n guns at a game room of a convention because triggered, but that was an anime convention. I expect faggots there. But even sure why I still go.
>>
>>50912869
You would hope and you would be wrong
>>
>>50912944
>renaming the slaves
Fuck Wil Wheaton
>>
>>50912753

I'm a pretty easy going guy, and I've never lost my composure while playing any sort of game, but hooooooly shit do dice lobbers test me. I've rolled like 50 dice at once several times back when I played 40k (based infantry heavy IG armies), and had no problem keeping them within a maybe 1.5 square foot.
Maybe people are just really excited or something, idk.

Toddlers, all of them.
>>
File: marco polo manhattan project.jpg (150KB, 457x308px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo manhattan project.jpg
150KB, 457x308px
Help me decide anons.
>>
>>50913096
>maybe they're really excited
While mine are having fun while playing if you break it down they're retarded
>>
>>50912616
>>50912753
>>50912790
>>50912869
>>50912915
>>50913096
>>50913169
1st of, yea some people are shit at rolling, they get excited, they toss to hard or they just don't have enough brain power to shake the dice and find a "safe space" to drop them.
2nd, the whole point of a tower is to NOT buy a tray since buying one costs a shit ton and making one is just bothersome.

Also remember not everyone has a 2mX4m table to play and sometimes big games take up most of the table space, and then each toss turns into mission impossible where you try to not hit anything on the table.

Or maybe I am just a sad pathetic person, you tell me.
>>
>>50913271
Both things can be true at the same time friend.
>>
>>50913271
The dice tray I use costed me $15, barely anymore than a cheap dice tower and has basically the same table foot print. I understand small tables given I play out on my porch a lot during the summer, and that might be one of the few times I understand it, but once again, same footprint.
>>
>>50913271

>sad, pathetic person

Not so fast there familia. The only people who actually care about other people using dice towers are the kind of people you shouldn't be taking advice from.

Personally I hate them, but that's just me. If you like them, then get one. Make your guests use it. Insult them if they don't, it's all good.
>>
>>50913064
No, don't. He needs out of the gene pool.
>>
>>50913831
He's already bred, the world is a sadder place.
>>
>>50913960
Actually he adopted his wife's two kids, so no worries there.
>>
File: Nauvoo-Games-Stockpile-Board[1].jpg (430KB, 712x404px) Image search: [Google]
Nauvoo-Games-Stockpile-Board[1].jpg
430KB, 712x404px
>>50909326
Sure. Stockpile is a game I really like and is my monopoly replacement because all I really find people like about monopoly is auctions and throwing toy money around.

To make the description short, each turn you get information about what is going to happen to one of the stocks. You then get 2 stocks to place into any piles of stocks and you have to put one face up and one face down, and then you bid on which stocks you want, sell any stocks you don't want, and then everyone reveals what happens to the stocks and the round goes again.

The game is a little chaotic, not the ultra deep strategy you'd expect from a game about the stock market, but there is a good amount of strategy and bluffing and manipulation. The game is also very modular, in that it is fun any way you play it but there's rules to make it more complicated to suit the playgroup you're with. I don't have much in the way of flaws besides that some people might feel it's too chaotic for a theme that's a hard sell to people who aren't math nerds. Not the most fun game in the world but I happily consider it a part of my collection and will pull it out. Scales decently well but know that if you play with less than 5, someone will have the subtle disadvantage of having to go first multiple times.
>>
Why do people say Monopoly is shit
Just curious, I'm not into board games but I personally hate it because it takes forever and is entirely uninteresting throughout
>>
>>50913986
Were the kids conceived before or during their marriage?
>>
>>50914180
It's about paying taxes, buying property, and going into debt...I have real life to do that. Games take forever, there's so much downtime, all you do is roll dice and hope you don't land on someone else's property
>>
anything i should be buying now, beside ffg gw contend ?
>>
>>50914180
A lot of people will tell you "the game doesn't take that long, you're just house ruling it!", but their claims of a 40 minute playtime are based on the idea that one player snowballs out of control. If 2 players are close, the game can go on forever due to a hard to reach lose condition.

Apart from that, it's just not full of anything fun. Auctions have been done better, money to make more money has been done better, and fuck roll and move. Seriously, no one likes flat dice roll and move with zero control.
>>
>>50913986
That'd explain why they don't look like dweebs.
>>
>>50910274

This is relevant to my interests as well. I missed the Kickstarter, but it looked cool
>>
Got a question for the Double Feature expansion for Zombie Dice.
It's written on the rules that the hero dices can rescue each other, be it Santa, the Hunk or the Hottie.
But if you capture 2 of the heroes and get shotgunned by the third one, do you have to put both of the captured heroes back in the cup or just one?
>>
>>50907324
California, mostly due to the sheer law of large numbers
>>
>>50914210
Before iirc
He might be a cuckold but there's no real evidence either way
>>
>>50913162
MP
>>
>>50912731
The worst part is that 2/3 of the scenarios are from an exclusive art book and they require the exclusive components so getting a kind soul to scan it means nothing
>>
>>50914275
CMON stock
>>
>>50916093
>not Asmodee
these fucks will maximise your investment before they finish shitting on the industry
>>
>>50916171
>implying you'll be able to time the sell right before it all swirls down the toilet.
>>
>>50916171
Except Asmodee is owned by a larger conglomerate and I don't know enough about their other operations
>>
File: Monopoly = bad.jpg (2MB, 2765x1879px) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly = bad.jpg
2MB, 2765x1879px
>>50914180
>Why do people say Monopoly is shit

Because the original game designer INTENDED the game play to be an unpleasant experience. Pic related.
>>
>>50912616
lol you paranoid nigga.
The tower's only puspose is saving time.
>>
>>50912944
SJWs would want to ban Freedom: The Underground Railroad if anyone knew it exists.
>>
>>50914180
It's not a game, it's a social experiment. And it's solved. So you don't need to play it more than once as a "don't go in debt fool" cautionary tale.
>>
>>50907324
>Mexico City
>The largest metropoli in the continent
>Moving enough hobby money for 10 Magic exclusive LGS, 8 Yu-Gi-Oh! exclusive LGS, 6-7 multipurpose LGS, a bunch of model building stores, 1-3 gamestop equivalents in every shopping mall and even modern arcades.
>Not a single BG cafe thats not only UNO, Chess, Checkers, and maybe Catan.

This is why we migrate.
>>
>>50916171
Asmodee is creating a market bubble to sell to Hasbro for max mula before it pops, but it's a gamble. CMON is a safer bet.
and since the guy upthread seemed to be talking about speculating on the actual boardgames, i'd suggest kingdom death: monster
>>
>>50917530
Not when Trump comes into office, Paco. Enjoy your Serpentes y Escalera!
>>
>>50917530
Emigrate.
>>
>>50917681
>implying you can stem the tide
>>
>>50914057
thanks man
>>
>>50917681
Trudeau just opened the border for us, we just have to swim all the way there.
Shouldn't be hard, we've been swimming to mess with pacific islanders since pre-colonial times.
>>
>>50912407
>It allows to get used to making decisions and weighing options while also having other people to help out if they get overwhelmed
RPG-puser-anon here

Coop games are also a really great way to learn to deal with other players shouting at the top of their voice about how you're doing it all wrong and should play your character/game/hand/side their way.

Every game of Pandemic I've ever been in turned into someone shouting at people to do things their way. Sometimes they were right and sometimes they were wrong but they were never quiet.

Seriously, Pandemic is the loudest and bossiest game I've ever played.

I would like it more if the players won a little more often but it's good regardless. I guess.
>>
File: Trolled.jpg (31KB, 599x314px) Image search: [Google]
Trolled.jpg
31KB, 599x314px
>>50912883
>Trigga, please. Especially if you don't like it.
pic related

>>50913271
>2nd, the whole point of a tower is to NOT buy a tray since buying one costs a shit ton and making one is just bothersome

They'd be pretty easy to make but you wouldn't need to because:
>doesn't everyone just put the top of the game box upside down and roll in that?

An old fast-food container would do (the washable plastic kind), rigid plastic boxes from technology or random purchases will do. I used an OEM hard drive box for a while, the plastic tray thing that they come in. For RPGs, I'd keep my dice in something like that and when playing, pour the dice out into a pile and roll into the box.

For boardgames, the top of the box works fine and doesn't need a lot of table space.
>>
>>50914057
>Stockpile is a game I really like and is my monopoly replacement because all I really find people like about monopoly is auctions and throwing toy money around
There's an Australian game that is a monopoly replacement and 10x better and is about the wool industry. It's so much about the wool industry that I think it was probably commissioned by their trade association or something but it's also pretty good.

Anyone remember it? Maybe something like Stockmarket.
>>
>>50915835
>He might be a cuckold but there's no real evidence either way
Having step-children isn't being a cuckold, whatever /pol/ or /r9k/ might say. It's just proof that you think your wife is worth it. In reality, lots of people remarry and step-children are part of the package. It sucks sometimes but it's that or deny yourself the person you love and that sounds pretty stupid.
>>
>>50919703
I'm saying there's possibility he is a cuckold but the kids themselves aren't proof either way because o know that's what the guy I was responding to was >implying
>>
File: pandemonium.jpg (2MB, 1162x1162px) Image search: [Google]
pandemonium.jpg
2MB, 1162x1162px
Any opinions regarding this? It sounds really cool but it's not easy finding good material that really gets across the gameplay and mechanics. Anybody here back this?
>>
>>50919599
I just pasted felt on an ash tray.
Don't know why I had an ash tray, I don't even smoke.

But some people like fancy shit and those people are perfectly fine if they so wish to have a dice tower, cup or a fancy tray.
>>
>>50919921
>not easy finding good material that really gets across the gameplay and mechanics.
I'm not saying it's shit.
But it's almost certainly shit.
>>
>>50910214
I have a polyprop tube with felt inside that I use as a dice container/cup. It's ridiculously sturdy and doesn't smell like ass. Apparently it was a camera lens container.
>>
You never can tell what normies will like, can you /bgg/? Introduced my sister and her bf to a couple games when they visited; Carcassonne, Love Letter, Coup, Jaipur, and a few other beginner friendly ones. Out of all of them they loved Valley of the Kings the most, which I thought would be the hardest for them to grok seeing as how it's like no card game they've ever played before.
>>
>>50921403
Depends entirely on the normie. I know people whose brains clamp down so hard they couldn't learn love letter in a year, and people who I've thrown straight into things like Kemet without issue.
>>
>>50921470
I introduced my friends with Puerto Rico.
>>
>>50921516
>Puerto Rico
That's pretty friendly to normies, I've seen a lot of new comers to Euro games pick up that quickly.
>>
>>50921529
It's also how I got into BG, but ya gotta admit it's a step or two above Carc and company in complexity and below them in social interaction.

When did we get rid of (You)'s? I like it.
>>
File: krosmaster.jpg (97KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
krosmaster.jpg
97KB, 500x515px
Is Krosmaster actually fun or is it like Amiibos where people mostly just buy toys to put on a shelf?

Is there a better choice if I want to get into tactical board games? I mostly play euro games. Not looking to start spending $100s on minis, just want something fun.
>>
>>50921668
It's okay, the game's simple, but it's not garbage by any means. Game goes for the kidneys with blind booster expansions though, so beware.

I'm a fan of Tannhauser, but it's getting kind of hard to find, or Heroes of Normandie / Shadows over Normadie, though those don't strictly have minis.
>>
File: FairytaleGames.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
FairytaleGames.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
In the vapor-games and other Kickstarter horror stories...

Saw some news about with this game lately. It hit retailers before going to the Kickstarter backers because the makers are trying to use the profits for shipping costs. Most oversea backers still haven't gotten them, and some of its artists haven't been paid yet.
>>
>>50919484
That isn't the game's fault, you're just playing with assholes. Co-op games are really susceptible to alpha player syndrome, that's their downside. If you can play them with people who don't think they're Ender Fucking Wiggin and boss everyone around then they're really fun games
>>
>>50922055
I just know that the top four Kickstarters have comments full of aggravation and talk of class-actions and KD:M has a real shot at becoming the highest-funded not-shit Kickstarter.
>>
>>50922071
Ender Wiggin was a nice-humble kid.
They think they're Peter.
>>
>>50921668
Self contained, babby's first skirmish
>Arena of the Planeswalkers
>Claustrophobia
(relatively) Self contained, simple but deceptively deep:
>Dungeon Command
>Tannhauser
>Skirmish Tactics: Apocalypse
>Space Hulk
>Imperial Assault
Can ignore expansions and add-ons but won't feel quite complete unless you spend a bunch of money on "army"-building
>X-Wing
>Mage Wars Arena
By the time you notice your house is full of overcosted plastic
>Krosmaster Arena
>Warhammer
>Malifaux
>Infinity

I know Krosmaster is not really a wargame but it feels like it belongs with those more than with say Super Dungeon Explore or something.
>>
>>50922105
Ender was a master tactician who overcame any challenge he faced no matter the circumstance. That's what I meant when I said they felt they were like Ender.
>>
>>50922055
How do people mismanage money so hard?
I used to be an event organizer for the local government and in 15 years of concerts, fairs, street markets, speeches and diplomatic charades. All with their fair share of accidents and surprises. We never once underbudgeted an event.
>>
>>50922245
>How do people mismanage money so hard?
By being the kind of asshole that would have to go through KS in the first place.
>>
>>50922071
>That isn't the game's fault, you're just playing with assholes.
In some cases that's certainly true but as a syndrome:
>Co-op games are really susceptible to alpha player syndrome, that's their downside
This is what I was getting at.

>>50922105
>Ender Wiggin was a nice-humble kid.
>They think they're Peter.
Peter was strategy.
Valerie was leadership.
Ender was both.

He repeatedly showed that he could lead people who initially disrespected him, he identified and executed strategies to win in social situations as well as battles. He also fostered talent and trained himself and others to become what they needed to be to win.

Of course the alpha players still think they're him, they just aren't.

>>50922360
>By being the kind of asshole that would have to go through KS in the first place.
I don't think that's really fair but OTOH: there is a certain class of people who think that positive thinking and "their raw natural creativity" will empower them to do cool shit. They're never very prepared for reality. Before kickstarter, they might occasionally quit a job and burn their own cash, or a relative's who unwisely loaned them some. During the tech bubble they could waste VC cash but the VCs mostly wised up. Now they waste crowd-sourced cash.
>>
>>50922245
Dealing with manufacturing, especially non-captive and non-domestic manufacturing, is a couple leagues above local event planning.
>>
>>50922245
>How do people mismanage money so hard?
I'm >>50922455 but I think I could add a bit more regarding: >>50922484
>Dealing with manufacturing, especially non-captive and non-domestic manufacturing

That's going to add additional complexity and it takes months to get it all set.

I've met quite a few people trying to do that sort of thing. I have to travel to Shenzhen fairly often because reasons

When I'm there, I usually stay in a YHA with decent coffee and breakfast. I meet a lot of foreigners there too which is another reason to stay there. It's comfy and friendly with really nice green views.

There are different kinds of people who stay in YHAs but business people are almost never in that group, except for this hostel. These business people aren't really in business yet though, so they're doing the Shenzhen equivalent of sleeping in their car while they launch their Silicon Valley startup.

There's usually always one or two people staying there who are just there to find/supervise/whatever some factory who are making prototypes for their kickstarter project. The dorms/rooms don't have comfy office space and the wifi/power is free in the common area with all the tables so that's where they work. There's an Italian guy with a hot Chinese girlfriend/secretary who I've seen several times, she's always preparing papers or schedules for him while he's arguing on the phone with people or doing email. I've heard her tell him about factory visiting appointments she's set up to go review something or other. Sometimes I've seen him showing another partner the latest model of their prototype; some electronic egg shaped thing that is probably an IoT gadget to stream video/turn lights off/order pizza.

Board games are a bit easier I think but still, it involves sending plans to someone, going over and inspecting the prototype, making changes, waiting, reinspecting, finally ordering. Then you find that they don't have enough green plastic and you start over
>>
>>50922484
I bet the spent at least 15% of the money on coffee.
>>
>>50922653
They'd save a lot of time and expenses, and cultural shock too, if they went to produce their games in Mexico or Chile where paper, graphic design and factories are first world tier but people are still paid like third worlders because their money is worthless and a dollar goes a long way. Bet there's a lot of european countries where things would also be both affordable and inexpensive.

China today more than ever is the example of how you get what you pay for.
>>
>>50922958
>affordable and reliable
I meant.
>>
>>50922958
>paper, graphic design and factories
I'm more talking about electronic kickstarters, I don't think people use Shenzhen for board games, though they might for plastic figurines I guess.

I was just using it as an example of getting a kickstarter prototype into production. I'm sure people do the same with hostels/cheap hotels and other countries.
>>
>>50923006
I know I was just pointing out taking your production to China is the first step in a series of unfortunate events. You get there and everything seems to be fine and you're gonna save a lot of money, then suddently you owe three million, haven't produced shit and Jim Carey's sleeping in your bed.
>>
>>50923090
>and Jim Carey's sleeping in your bed.
I don't get that reference.
>>
>>50922174
Move Imperial Assault and X-Wing down a category.
>>
>>50921668
I enjoy it a good deal. I'm also a big fan of Wakfu and Dofus so I'm always paranoid that some of my sway is towards the "Hey! Look! I can make all my favorite characters fight eachother!"

Pros:
>Named characters capture the fighting styles of the characters well and make for interesting fights
>The tug of war system where you're fighting for Golden Gallons keeps the game from dragging on
>Shop adds an interesting twist. Can often provide a clutch save, setup for a big attack, or just all around improve your character's stats
>A good deal of mobility encouraged with cover and gold to pickup and shops around the place
Cons:
>The base characters tend to be pretty uninteresting (2.0 features nothing but named characters)
>The tug of war system especially with the doubles on dice taking one away from each side can sometimes end a game anti climatically (Fixed the dice problem in 2.0 rules)
>Setup is a little bit more work than I wish I had to put in (Made way worse in 2.0. Seriously, those carts in 2.0's map can go to hell. You can fix it by gluing them together but then the game is really awkward to store.)

Also worth nothing that characters are all over the place. I got most of mine from a everything must go sale on a website for cheap, but if I didn't it would have cost me an arm and a leg to get all the people from the show I wanted. Especially with a buncha them being from long since past promos for tournaments.
>>
>>50923222
Oh I should add probably not good for a euro gamer looking for high tactics. The dice can hurt or help a lot. Each attack has a base damage of usually 1 (2 for a big attack, 3 for a REALLY big attack, 0 for an attack that usually has an extra effect), with a 1/2 chance of the dice boosting it by 1 damage, and a 1/3rd chance of the defender reducing it by 1 damage. Critical makes you roll 2 dice while attacking, armor makes you roll 2 dice while defending. I'll let you calculate those odds out of how much random chance the game has.
>>
I've got a friend of mine who I've finally convinced to try out board games with me. He's a huge sports guy (American football, basketball, baseball, etc) so I was wondering if there were any good sports themed games I could snag to play with him. Or what would be a good game to start him out on? He has no experience with board games besides monopoly and risk
>>
>>50923319
>any good sports themed games I could snag to play with him
Bloodbowl?

There are other less fantasy/murder-oriented sports games though.
>>
>>50923319
I've heard Baseball Highlights 2045 is decent, but never tried it myself.
>>
Well if you really want to reduce luck as much as possible you're left with Mage Wars Arena and Dungeon Command. And DC still has randomized decks for actions and deployment options.
>>
>>50923319
I advocate for Baseball Highlights 2045 around here. One of my most played games I picked up this year, but it's kinda specific. As a fan of baseball, it captures the strategy of the sport well and despite being really abstracted down, does capture the feel of a game in a simple 6 card game of war. The deckbuilding also gets really interesting once you start to recognize teh strategies. That being said, it's mostly a 2 player game and could be a little dry for some people. Much like the sport of Baseball, some will find the charm in it's simplicity and mind games, but others will just think it's boring with not enough action.

Anyways, I wouldn't try too hard to try and appeal to people through their existing passions. A big thing that always makes me laugh with Dice Tower is they've done at least 2 top 10 lists of "Games to bring videogamers into the hobby" and they're so focused on finding board games that emulate videogames that they don't bother to capitalize on any of the things that make boardgames unique and interesting.
>>
>>50923480
I tend to agree that you should choose games that highlight the point of playing games.

I thought Bloodbowl was a good choice because it's ludicrous whilst still being recognisable as a sports game. If you like football then you can see the resemblance and appreciate the mechanics like fan factor and star players while still laughing as you casually murder their quarterback.
>>
>>50923319
Techno Bowl!: Arcade Football Unplugged looks promising for an upcoming game as far as American football goes
>>
>>50923319
As far as I know there's not a whole lot of intro level games that are well sports themed.

Probably start with something more themeless. Like one of many trick taking games or other super light stuff. I mean if you think he might be interested give Catan a go.

But if it HAS to be sport, give 'Bottom of the 9th' a look. Should be easy and short enough to grab his attention.
>>
>>50923563
Light games are what you throw on someone who is in the room but sound uninterested in games. If someone is already interested in games and want to see what they got, I usually throw them into a game that offers more. Cosmic Encounter is my go to. It really plays up the social element that videogames won't have and if you stick to green and maybe yellow aliens for the first game, won't be too hard to figure out.
>>
Man, coop """games""" are such overrated trash.
>>
>>50923888
I politely disagree. There are lots of kinds of coop games and many of them are quite good. I know pandemic is your punching bag, but even that is great if you're on even footing with your friends or can suppress your alpha gamer instincts.
>>
>>50923113
>series of unfortunate events
>>
>>50923987
>I know pandemic is your punching bag, but even that is great if you're on even footing with your friends or can suppress your alpha gamer instincts
That's a different anon. I'm the one that said that Pandemic games turned into shouting matches. I stand by that comment but don't go so far as to call them overrated trash.
>>
Dead of Winter shines the spotlight over what's wong with coop. Yes, we like playing as a group and being a party, but most of us really love winning too and are prone to make others feel shitty when we feel they're impeding our victory by playing sloppy or not being into it.

I guess that's how it feels to be a neet's dad.
>>
>>50925026
We get it, you have a shitty group. Don't coop if you can't play nice with others. No one is holding you at gun point to do it.
>>
>>50910487
>Maid Waifu - The Deckbuilder
fuggin 10/10 anon
>>
>>50925161
I actually have a fun group but I can see why coop-hate anon hates coop because I've played Pandemic, DoW and Betrayal at BG cafes with randos and man was it hell more often than not.
>>
>>50925278
Why would you play coop with casual randoms? Just take out your PvP stuff, it's much safer.
>>
>>50921668
>>50922174
Add Arcadia Quest to that list. Half dungeon crawler, half skirmish, all awesome unless you hate anime chibis.
>>
>>50924349
>Pandemic
>shouting matches
That's only if you think of things on the personal side. Every game of Pandemic I've made were happening calmly with people explaining in details things and why they wish to make their moves and what we should do. Don't act like an ass and let your selfishness aside to work as a group. That's what Pandemic is supposed to teach you.
>>
Kemet just shipped, I'm hyped as fuck boys.
Can't wait to play it already, just gotta wait till Descent lands in store and buy it and I'm set for a good 2017.
>>
>>50926904
I always forget Arcadia Quest exists because Super Dungeon Explore completely overshadows it despite being completely different games that just look similar.
>>
Bumping my question >>50915725
>>
I assume nobody actually gives a shit about Mythic Battles: Pantheon because nobody posts about it since the campaign ended.

What did/does it do wrong that makes you not be exited about it?
>>
>>50929162
Reading through the rules they don't explicitly say what to do. If it was me I'd say that the heroes can only rescue one hero. So if you had two captured you could pick the one you rescued
>>
>>50930016
New to the hobby so I didn't even know about it. But when I checked out their page it was full of kickstarter exclusive things which is fucking bullshit. So maybe that's it
>>
>>50930016
I pledged 500 bucks. Not much to talk about really at the moment. They are busy fixing the rulebook and dashboards and will release them sometime in January.
>>
File: shattered ascension.jpg (393KB, 1275x719px) Image search: [Google]
shattered ascension.jpg
393KB, 1275x719px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibgDdwABAio

So anons what are your opinions on this?
>>
>>50930016
I'd assume a couple of reasons.

1: Everyone's beating their dicks over Kingdom Death: Monster which is still running and coming out with new reveals nearly every day.

Two: Ultimately it's a relatively light game so there's not a whole left to talk about without more reveals/news.

C: Lots of KS exclusives and unnecessary miniature wank which /bgg/ generally dislikes.
>>
Are there any good single player board games?

Are there any boardgames where you send out your minions and they report back? I want something that feels like those parts of the Assassin's Creed or Metal Gear Solid games where you send your recruits out to go do things off screen. I want to fiddle with equipment stuff and send them off. Kind of more of a single player RPG, but I'm specifically looking for something with lots of little minions.

I kind of want to make something like that myself, but I'm not sure how to even start. It may be way too complicated.
>>
>>50930422
I've heard that space hulk death angel is a good game to play on your own, I've got it coming in the mail myself.

I don't know of a game where you control a bunch of minions and send them out, but that is an interesting idea
>>
I am working on a semi-abstract strategy game with some risk-like elements (territory, terrain) - once I have things copyrighted and I have a working proto, I want some feedback from you all.
>>
File: 1480978252008.jpg (294KB, 1920x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1480978252008.jpg
294KB, 1920x1052px
>>50907521
>>50912174

Well, she's conscious in some scenarios and can walk around. She's also the one who needs to do the ritual to save the day in one scenario too.
And it's entirely possible for an all-female team of heroes to be the ones rescuing her, to be fair.
Frankly, me and my mates all thought it was kind of funny that the Princess is literally an object in one scenario.
Now, I'm a little leery of all the people objecting to the fact that there are boobs on the cover of one of the rulebooks. I'm an American, but even *I* am not shocked by the presence of boobies in a game based on Conan the Barbarian. Considering Hyboria is pretty much "clothing optional" for both genders in most of the art, I don't really have a problem with it.
>>
>>50930246
It's great stuff, I always play with SA.
Might actually update my components for 4.2 this year.
>>
File: pic2796703.jpg (2MB, 3599x3599px) Image search: [Google]
pic2796703.jpg
2MB, 3599x3599px
So I just got all my Xenoshyft: Dreadmire stuff and have sleeved, sorted, and made an insert for it.

Has anyone played the new stuff enough to tell whether or not the old items and troops still stand up to the new stuff?

There seems to be a LOT more murderous effects on the Brood than in the Hive.
>>
>>50931515
I've never played TI but was always interested. What put me off a bit was the uncertainty of getting a lage enough group for a game of this length. I've also heard that there are some balancing and mechnics issues but I have no idea what exactly. Do you think SA would be a good entry point for someone like me? They say they changed some rules and mechanics but I don't know how much different it is compared to the original and if it's better. Can you tell me a bit about this?
>>
File: level 7 doom.jpg (60KB, 492x246px) Image search: [Google]
level 7 doom.jpg
60KB, 492x246px
Which one /tg/?
>>
>>50931809
>Large enough group.
Non-concern, the game is best with 4-5. Going beyond that dramatically increases playtime without a corresponding increase in fun.
>Balancing and mechanics issues.
Core game has some, but they're not crippling. SA is noticeable improved in virtually every area, absolutely a good starting point. I don't even think about teaching people the standard rules anymore.

>Tell me a bit about this.
It's the same game, really, but with all the crappy parts surgically removed and interesting new bits added. Economics are a little easier to handle, different ship classes are better balanced, races are less pigeonholed into specific strategies, unique racial techs and flagships are more interesting and better balanced, politics get more done with less fuss, unique racial objectives give every race some thematic things to play for and some longer-term planning, the main tech tree has been cleaned up and has a lot more viable paths, the big strategy cards have all been reworked.
Basically nothing hasn't been put under a microscope and fiddled with. It's still in development and has little issues here and there, but I'm never going back.

>>50931857
Hell if I know. I have omega protocol and love everything about it except the shit gumbi plasic privateer press insists on using, but DOOM looks pretty damn good too. I'd have it already if it wasn't AsmodEA, and I may still cave.
>>
>>50930016
Same reason Santorini or Conan didn't get talked about in months. People were waiting, the hype of the KS campaign had worn off. Besides, MBP was kind of polarizing, a lot of anons here hate how the campaign was managed. Then they shipped, /beegee/s got their boxes, played the games and started hyping em up again.
Come back in summer 2017 and tell us what you think about Tonsa Plastic: Greek Mumbo-Jumbo
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 160x160px
>>50930246
pic related
>>
>>50930422
Some guy came on here wanting to make a MGS base-building game, not sure how far he got with that.

Maybe check out Defenders of the Last Stand. I've never played but I think I remember hearing about a scout action and it has story elements though it's not the most story-driven game. It's a co-op so it can probably be played solo
>>
>>50931857
I've got Doom coming in the mail. Will let you know what I think about it when I get to play it
>>
>>50913162
Marco Polo by a gorillion miles
>>
how is lords of creation?

my shop has them up for real cheap.
>>
>>50934441
No clue but if it's really cheap I'd snag it anyway
>>
>>50932977
>Some guy came on here wanting to make a MGS base-building game, not sure how far he got with that.
That was me, Anon
It's kind of on the back burner, same as my RPG project. Writing out a hundred cards is so daunting a task. I'm also trying to make it seem like less like an Arkham Horror clone shoved into XCOM without the app. Or something.
>>
File: IMG_0318.jpg (110KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0318.jpg
110KB, 500x700px
Has anyone played this game? Is it worth the $130 that Amazon is charging for it?
>>
>>50936357
Yes, hell no.
>>
>>50936357
Space Cowboys just reprinted it this year, just wait a month or two for Asmodee to get more stock in.
>>
>>50936357
For the love of God, wait for the new edition. It's made by Space Cowboys, it will have all the necessary corrections, and it will have multiple volumes (standalone expansions).
>>
>>50936471
It's not out in English yet. Next month vol 2 comes out, vol 1 (the reprint) comes out later next quarter, vol 3 comes out in the summer.
>>
>>50936647
I was going off BGG which had it as a 2016 release. Either way it's not worth paying above retail; especially when you consider Asmodee was putting out English editions as late as 2015 under the Ystari label.
>>
What are your local board game meetups like
I'm kinda thinking about going to one at a game shop since I never made any friends after highschool
>>
>>50936996
I wish I had one of those where I live but life is suffering. If I were you I'd definitely go at least once anon
>>
>>50936996
I've never been brave enough. The one time I looked for them, it looked like it was all people in their 40s and it looked like I caught them mid drama. One of the main people in the group posted about how mad he was that no one played games he wanted to play and another talking about how he was tired of playing with people they had to teach the game to.

I never looked for a public game group again. I have the potential for 2 game nights a week with 2 groups of my old highschool friends. No need to attend these public groups I suppose.
>>
What are the best Star Trek board games?
>>
File: pic19616.jpg (59KB, 792x378px) Image search: [Google]
pic19616.jpg
59KB, 792x378px
>>50937424
>>
NEW THREAD!
>>50937556
NEW THREAD!
>>50937556
NEW THREAD!
>>50937556
>>
>>50912428

It is pretty easy to understand and play. The cover and line of sight mechanics as written are pretty garbage in some ways though with figures being completely behind walls having line of sight to each other. We just house ruled it so that 'if it makes sense, cover or blocked line of sight applies'

The biggest flaw with the game is that the Space Marines are god damned monsterously hard to beat and you need to murder their ass so many times, but maps give out plenty of health and a medic as an option for a class is ramping it up. I have to throw everything I got them constantly if I want to even net a few kills in a game.

A solo marine is essentially a pure repsentation of Doom guy given his pumped up health, two actions per turn instead of one and two activations a game round instead of one. He murders shit almost as soon as it hits the fucking board.

So, they nailed that part of it at least.
>>
>>50911620

Yeah, it is just a super dumbed down minis game.
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.