[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Games General /bgg/ - 2017!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 33

File: Board Games.jpg (502KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games.jpg
502KB, 900x900px
/bgg/ - Board Games General: In Memory of 2016 and Anticipation of 2017 Edition!

Previous thread:
>>50895207

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

How was 2016 for you? What did you play? What did you buy? Any surprises or disappointments?

Which 2017 releases are you excited for?
>>
Asked in the previous thread, got a silly meme answer.

What are the best Star Trek board games?
>>
File: pic1365413_md.jpg (106KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1365413_md.jpg
106KB, 500x500px
>>50937579
>>
>>50937579
Star Trek is pretty infamously bad when it comes to games of any kind. Most of them try to just be Star Wars but worse.
>>
>>50937589
Dammit. Seriously? Anybody have a real answer?
>>
>>50937597
That sucks. I wonder why, when Star Trek is very different from Star Wars in tone? Why not try to simulate 1v1 ship-to-ship combat? It's more like naval combat than Star Wars' dogfights.
>>
>>50937579
Star Trek Ascendancy, hands down.
>>
>>50937651

In part because a lot of the Star Trek tone is difficult to get across in a board game. You'd want a game where diplomacy is important and combat is only one of several solutions to fit the setting better.
>>
File: shattered ascension.jpg (413KB, 1275x719px) Image search: [Google]
shattered ascension.jpg
413KB, 1275x719px
Repost from the previous thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibgDdwABAio

So anons what are your opinions on this?
>>
What's the difference between Star Wars Armada and Star Wars X-Wing?
>>
>>50937741
Scale. Xwing is dogfighting, Armada is capital ship battles.
>>
>>50937789
Is Michael Vick a Sith in the SW universe?
>>
>>50937651
Exploring the unknown is the key to Star Trek. TV-verse at least was always focused on non violence whenever possible and going into the great sci fi "what if"s. The problem is that's not sexy. They know Star Trek has weapons with phasers and such, they know the big ships have combat capabilities, so in the end they take the easy route and attempt the dime a dosen space ship battle crap.
>>
>>50937789
This, plus your orders in Armada are set differently, you don't just do a movement turn then an attack turn, there's more options for what your ships do. Also you're planning out multiple orders in advance instead of just one movement per ship.
>>
>>50937741
Same difference between warhammer 40k and wahammer 40k epic.

In X-Wing you're flying a squad of around 4-6 fighters (ties, x-wings, y-wings, etc) and compete for position and firing solutions using tight maneuvers and special actions. The game is tense and visceral.

In Armada you're controlling a fleet consisting of 3-5 capital class ships (Star Destroyers, Nebulon Cruisers) and numerous squad stands of fighters (A single quarter sized stand having multiple x-wings for example). You move your capital ships like large ocean vessels, planning your moves in advance, using a more flexible movement method rather than strict turn speeds and such. The game is more like a general managing a battlefield.
>>
>>50937666
Star Trek Frontiers also deserves some love, 2016 was actually a pretty good year for Star Trek games.
>>
>>50937683
>>50937819
But being able to diplomacy your way to a victory, do battle, or pretend to diplomacy then betray, etc., is fun as hell. I mean, shit, it's the only good thing about Risk.
>>
File: starwarsgames.png (978KB, 1276x490px) Image search: [Google]
starwarsgames.png
978KB, 1276x490px
>>50937741
X-Wing is crazy maneuvers where you can travel a third of the board in a single round and use abilities to pull a u turn on a dime and pew pew pew, dodge dodge dodge.

Armada is biiiiig hulking ships and feel the part. You need to plan a turn in advance, you need to set a route and when the lasers start flying, brace for impact. You're gonna be mitigating damage, not all together avoiding it. It's much more about how all the ships work together along with squadrons and much less about how many people sontir fel can kill lone wolf style.

I like Armada a lot more. When I win at it, it feels much more like an accomplishment and less like I cheesed the system. The 3 kinds of attack dice each with their own range make attacks feel far cooler and give much more an element of planning. Plus there's just so much potential to list building while still giving you a pretty defined strategy you can pick through what admiral you decide to use. It's less about making 1 3 individual aces who can all kill lone wolf style and more about making a cohesive team with a game plan going in.
>>
>>50937885
>There's diplomacy in Risk
Oh no, you're one of those people, aren't you? One of those guys who thinks they can tell who a werewolf is just by the way someone talks and are wrong 70% of the time but that 30% means you're bonafied CSI.

There's no diplomacy in risk. There is no rules that encourage any kind of diplomacy that isn't just players being kingmakers. The only thing you're doing by whining "DON'T ATTACK MEEEEEEE!" is pissing everyone off and you're the reason this game is still awful even after all the fixes they gave it.

You're living an illusion anon, wake up and play a real game that involves diplomacy.
>>
>>50938093
I just meant that, as a kid, pissing off my sisters by forming "alliances" and then attacking them when they left one army on a country adjacent to me was the only upside to them insisting we play Risk.

Never meant to suggest it was a good game or there were actual diplomacy rules.
>>
>>50938093
Does Diplomacy have diplomacy
>>
>>50937579
Fleet Captains is by far the most thematically rich. Very ameritrash, but it's actually really good.
Ascendancy has a lot of neat stuff going on, but I haven't gotten it to the table yet to say for sure just how good it is.

But yeah. Fleet Captains. Great.
>>
>>50937806
Kek
>>
>>50937579
captain sonar

just retheme the entire game
>>
>>50934958
>neat.png
>>
>>50937605
It's actually great. Standard Catan with a lot of fun expansion-style rule additions.
>>
What are some good traditional style board games that have simple rules but nice game play.

For example, I have Quarto, Quoridor, and Pylos. They look pretty, have simple rules, but can be fun and challenging to win at times with a good opponent.
>>
>>50940183
Splendor.
>>
>>50937556
Played Archipelago and Welcome to the Dungeon last night. WttD was pretty fun, but Archipelago stole the show. What a great game, I can't wait to play it again.
>>
>>50937848
Does Armada have Scum and Villainy yet?
>>
>>50938237
Arguably.
>>
>>50938361
Let's also mention Frontiers to complete the trifecta.
>>
File: war-of-the-ring.jpg (118KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
war-of-the-ring.jpg
118KB, 800x600px
Is War of the Ring getting a reprint or am I shit out of luck?
>>
>>50941272
Nope.
I'm hoping for CIS Remnants as a third faction when they eventually do it.
>>
Are there any games about being a Politician forming a government and relying on a mix of player interactions and obtaining board influence?
>>
>>50941348
It's not exactly what you were describing but lords of waterdeep is kinda close
>>
File: 1465404303792.png (209KB, 946x708px) Image search: [Google]
1465404303792.png
209KB, 946x708px
Hopefully going to be starting a board gaming night with some of my friends.

What games should we get?

We are all 18 and 19, there will be usually be 4 - 5 of us, with 7 at the very most (depending on who can come each night), only myself and two others have any real experience with /tg/ games.

Picture unrelated
>>
From the last thread:
>>50927412
>I always forget Arcadia Quest exists because Super Dungeon Explore completely overshadows it despite being completely different games that just look similar.
How so? I've heard few good things about SDE, mostly balance complaints and the like (a pity because it looks so good). Is it actually better and how?
>>
Should I get into board gaming yes/no?
>>
>>50942214
maybe, I don't know
can you repeat the question?
>>
>>50942266
You're not the boss me me now
>>
>>50942158
Get:
> A social game for the 6-7 player count
Resistance: Avalon is a good pick in the realms of social deduction
Codenames is also fun
> An entry-level "deep" game
Although I started to dislike free for all games Kemet is a good pick here
Powergrid for an euro
Fury of Dracula for hidden movement
> A light game for the 4-6 player count
Sheriff of Nottingham
Maybe Last Night on Earth or something similar
> A filler game
Welcome to the Dungeon is a blast
> Games you might get Later
BSG
Heavier strategy or Euro games if your group likes them (Terra Mystica, Dominant Species, TI3 etc)
>>
I have Descent 2nd Edition and one of my friends gave me the Alfric Farrow expansion for my bday. I've read the rules and I understand how it works but I'd like to know from someone who has already tried a Lieutenant expansion how much the DM actually benefits from those expansions.
>>
>>50942158
I have group that's very similar to yours, this is how we usually do it
>Light game.
Resistance, Coup, Love Letter, and now Secret Hitler.
>A game that takes about an hour or so.
Sheriff of Nottingham, Boss Monster, Small World.
>Maybe another light filler game
>Biggest game of all.
Scythe, all three of the Arkham Horror games, Dead of Winter, we used to play a few rounds of Betrayal. It's an unbalanced game but a great way to start with tabletop RPGs because outside of some specific errata in haunts it's very straightforward.
>Games to get later
I'd recommend figuring out what games you have that have expansions and see which ones are worth your time. Some games have negligible little additions, but my friends and I can't play Catan without Cities and Knights because it makes the game that much better.
Also start getting larger or more complex games as time goes on. Your group will much better understand something if you can say "it's like x game but with y ability."
>>
>>50942158
tempus is pretty fun and has good meme potential as the "MAKE BABIES" game
>>
File: collection.png (2MB, 1684x937px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
2MB, 1684x937px
>>50942449
>>50942727
Agree with this guys, I am in the exact situation as you where I started a group with ~8 friends where we usually get 4~5 people.

Pic related is my collection.
Like most anons said:
>Social games
Avalon, Secret Hitler
>Light games
King of Tokyo, Coup, Smash Up
>"Normal" games, not to complex but not so light
Kemet, Cosmic Encounter, Cutthroat Caverns
>Heavy games
Right now I only got Rex and planning on buying Descent, I don't know if it counts as a heavy game but it does take up some time and effort to set up and play.

The games themselves are totally up to you, but those are the genres you should stick to and what people here recommend are usually solid picks.
>>
File: the wife's recs fixed.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs fixed.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>50942158
Kinda depends how long a session you're looking for. My home group is made up of friends with young kids, and people who work too many hours without sleep and aren't the freshest on their days off, so we aim for 2-3 hrs on a game night. For that you need a light game around 30-45 min, filler that's <15, entree that's 60-90, and then something cathartic to finish, 5-30 min playtime depending. I also have a group when I'm on the road for travel, meetups are less frequent due to schedules but when we get together it's a full 6-8 hr day of gaming, so longer fare can hit the table, but generally 3hrs is the longest so we can play more games instead of just one long epic. Start easy, pic related is how I got the wife and our casual friends into the 2-3 hr sessions, longer/more expensive stuff should be avoided til you know what your group makeup is like and what they enjoy. That said if there's a theme they really like, look for highly rated games on that.

>>50943206
>>50942727
>>50942449
Also what these guys said is a decent place to start, though I'd avoid Power Grid until you're sure the group can handle math in their head.
>>
>>50943255
I actually think this list is pretty old, needs some adjustments, some games can be taken out and some are a must add.
>>
>>50943255
The last revision was 3/21 this year, it's a bit older, but I haven't seen lots to make me want to redo it again. If Raiders of the North Sea comes back in stock though that might change. That said, always up for suggestions, what's your "must add" anon?
>>
Is the flick em up plastic version ok or should I only buy the game if Im gonna get deluxe?
>>
>>50943464
depends on the price

i am buying the anniversary set for ascension (year 2) with new art, foil and all promo's and expansions.
this totals to 110. seems expensive but when you want to get everything on its own, the basic set and expansion is 75 and then you dont even have the promos that will probably easily get you up to a 100.

basically 10 bucks for new art, foil, tin box thats fits it well, deck dividers and new special point gems.
>>
>>50941277
Yeah, probably. I feel like Fleet Captains and Mage Knight step on each other's toes a lot, with Fleet Captains having more interesting player interaction and better theme, but Mage Knight having more interesting base mechanics and forcing harder decisions, and Frontiers really does seem like they didn't change much other than the paint job from Mage Knight.

>>50939633
Acceptable, but then I'm also inclined to throw Dice Duels and Artemis into the ring.

>>50940183
Santorini, The Duke, and Onitama are the current trifecta of light modern abstracts, and they're all quite good.

>>50943464
I don't remember seeing plastic versions of the expansions anywhere yet, so maybe take that into consideration.
>>
>>50943464
Everything I've read says the feel of the game is similar enough you can't tell, only the look is cheaper. You also lose a few components (your cowboys are now represented by cards not tokens) and as STEEV said, no expansions in plastic yet.
>>
>>50943630
Do the expansions actually add anything to flick em up though? Or does it stand on its own without them
>>
File: 1480569100730.gif (1MB, 500x549px) Image search: [Google]
1480569100730.gif
1MB, 500x549px
>miniaturemarket finally shipped Triumph and Tragedy, Sekigahara, and Flick 'em Up (plastic)
I'll probably never get to play any but FeU, but it's the thought that counts.
Now I gotta get Pericles, Spacecorp, and a COIN game and I've checked off everything on my board game wishlist.
>>
>>50941348
'Behind the Throne' might be what you are looking for.
>>
>>50943297
What would you suggest?
>>
>>50943330
And of course I fucked up who I was quoting
>>50943297
>>50943953
Toss out some suggestions anons, I'm debating working on the casual spouse list after I work on the kid's recs that never got finished in March.
>>
>>50943630
Onitama and Santorini are shit. Just get The Duke.
>>
File: Blokus2.jpg (209KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Blokus2.jpg
209KB, 1000x1000px
>>50944205
Not the anon you were asking before, but Blokus is a solid entry level game and incredibly easy to teach while still being enjoyable. It rewards good strategic thinking.
>>
>>50943953
>>50944205
>>50943330
Mombasa, Mech V Minions, Teraforming mars, Secret Hitler, Avalon, Code Names, Carcassonne, Kemet, Marco Polo, Legendary Encounters Alien, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and some more of the top of my head, some may be pleb tier but most of theml seem pretty solid picks.
>>
File: 1432977148133.gif (2MB, 560x433px) Image search: [Google]
1432977148133.gif
2MB, 560x433px
>>50944829
>Mech V Minions
>>
>>50944829
>Mombasa, Teraforming Mars
Definitely solid but the original point of the pic was for people who had gfs that were incredibly casual/refused to consider gaming. Dropping them right into something that weighty seems counter to that. The heaviest on there right now is TS and that's because of how long it was #1 BGG...... also it's awesome.
>Carc
On the list
>ONUW
Also tried to keep every game on there as 2p possible, hence the lack of social deductions/party games, but I maybe replace Coup? I've never been a big fan of either, but kept Coup on the list because so many anons enjoy it.

I do consider cost before putting any game on the list, the v1 had Pitchcar but that's just too expensive to pay out for unless you're positive it'll get love, and it's really not great for 2p. Mechs v Minions I want to see longer reviews before suggesting the first game you buy to play for the wife is $75. Compare that to Pandemic, which retails at $40 or under, and is more genre defining as a co-op.

>>50944683
It's actually on the 5-10 kids list, but I'm debating swapping it with Hey That's My Fish.

Keep the ideas coming anons, it's giving me something to do in between laundry loads and tax prep.
>>
>>50939633

They really just need to repaint the whole game as "Mutara Nebula Battle" from Wrath of Khan and theyd be swimming in money, atleast i would buy that
>>
>>50944683
Seconding this. There's a four player and two player version
>>
>>50944647
>of three abstract games, the two with no random elements are shit
What kind of low resolution bait is this?
>>
>>50944990
>Keep the ideas coming
Dream Home - Its like the game was created to be a spouse intro to gaming game
>>
>>50944888
Nyaa!
>>
>>50945046
Looks interesting, was this an Essen release?
>>
Reposting question from previous thread. Does anyone know if War of the Ring will get a reprint?

I see a possible reprint of an upgrade kit for the anniversary edition and a possible reprint of the full anniversary edition game... which costs a arm and a leg.

I'd like to buy the normal edition while not paying the anniversary edition price (I see WotR for 200 EUR right now on amazon).
>>
>>50945156
>http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products
Listed for December, might just be a little late with distribution.
>>
Is blood bowl 2016 edition worth 80 bucks
>>
>>50945136
I believe so. NA stores got inital shipments in November IIRC. I just remember being torn between it and Mombasa to fill out a Black Friday order from MM, and it was listed as a new release then.
>>
>>50945247
Kinda sorta, yeah, GW has always been on the pricier side, but the miniatures (24 total) are very nice quality
Keep in mind it is a miniatures game, all teams not included in the core box (elves, d. elves, lizardmen, beastmen, chaos, dorfs, etc...) are gonna cost you extra

check this http://www.thenaf.net/2016/05/warhammerfest-roundup/ for reference
>>
File: kids v2.png (2MB, 1570x1534px) Image search: [Google]
kids v2.png
2MB, 1570x1534px
First serious pass at the kids chart, anyone who's got ankle biters or plays with them feel free to toss out your best bets
>>
>>50945890
jesus just give them monopoly
>>
>>50945908
>inflicting Monopoly on your kids
>playing Monopoly voluntarily
Were you raised by wolves or something?
>>
>>50945908
low effort bait
>>50945950
still effective
>>
>>50945219
Thanks man!
>>
>>50945908
And have them grow up to hate boardgames just like me!
>>
>>50945001
>There's a four player and two player version
I've only seen the 4 player version which actually plays 2, 3, and 4 players
>>
>>50945890
Nice! (I still think Blokus is good for adults too - same with Santorini.)
>>
>>50946420
Definitely they work for both. I've been going through the BGG ranking looking for other options so I can prevent too much overlap between the two lists, but I'm starting to think that's not possible for the abstracts.
>>
>>50943464
>Would love to get flick em up
>Have a ton of trouble convincing most of my group to play any game that looks like a kids game
I had to twist someone's arm into Santorini and Stockpile sat unplayed on my shelf for 6 months after I got it.
>>
>>50946610
Just introduce a lot of alcohol. I might actually hit something then
>>
>>50946396
The two person one may only be found online, I think that's where I got mine. The main game can play 2, 3, or 4 people but the 3 person game is really unbalanced for the one player who is in between the other two
>>
>>50946508
I don't think overlap is a bad thing though. Just because a game works well for kids doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for adults too
>>
>>50945999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k
nice trips
>>
>>50946835
No it's more I wanted to create something targeted, rather than just rehash the same games that are in every top 10. When you see the same stuff as "gateway" "couples" "kids" "families" "should own" etc it starts to get a bit tiring. It's like the Dice Tower guys telling me for the 50th time I should play Mission Red Planet and Pillars of the Earth; both are fine games, let's move on and find something new to play. On the other hand most of the games I own were bought because they overlap demographics.
>>
>>50947000
Checked

>>50947004
Ah I understand now, good point anon
>>
Anyone know if the Steam version of Twilight Struggle works for Linux yet?
>>
>>50947004
I understand, yeah. That being said, Abstracts are kinda famous for their simplicity but depth. By that nature. A game like Onitama or Santorini will only seperate the 2 by the amount of turns ahead they think.
>>
File: 1394415930945.jpg (48KB, 396x439px) Image search: [Google]
1394415930945.jpg
48KB, 396x439px
If you cancel long gaming days at the last minute, I hate you. Had my whole schedule clear in anticipation of playing something nice and heavy.
>>
>>50937556
Does anyone feel Super Dungeon Explore's replayability is merely aesthetical?
Sure there's a gorillion playable characters, bosses and mini bosses but the decision tree of what to do is pretty much always the same despite the character's differing abilities.
>>
>>50947424
this is grounds for giving out friend demerits
>>
Got good OST for a Descent campaign?
>>
>tfw
>Have friends, also small RPG group, Gf and few other PeopLe that could Play boardgames with me
>None of them wants to Play any strategic tabletops/heavy games with me
>There is one dude that would Play anything with me, few are worse at strategy-esque games (to the point of Being salty and stoping playing anything but coop/Simple games), rest are to unintrested on the topic.
i really would want to Play something like empire building, 4X or not, i feel like even my boy normie friends are do casual when IT comes to strategy games...
>>
>>50948402
Fuck not boy normie but not normie, fuck autocorrect.
>>
>>50948402
I know that feeling mate. I want to play some heavier games, but it just won't fly with my group.

I'd love to try Dominion, for example, but I guess that it hidden complexity would scare away all of my friends.
>>
File: JDSmith.jpg (128KB, 760x1000px) Image search: [Google]
JDSmith.jpg
128KB, 760x1000px
>>50948490
>want to play some heavier games
>Dominion
>>
>>50948585
>what is complexity
>>
File: gY7nDnm.png (699KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gY7nDnm.png
699KB, 1280x720px
>>50937726
garbage
just play ti
>>
>>50948490
Games of throne is that border for my group so its pretty horrible, i remember one time that one of my friends suggested civ hotseat and the game ended up as soon as he learned that i know IT better then him (less then 1 hour) , second friend just zonned out completly.
That first guy also tend to Play multiple strategy games but only on easy and hate every game that is to hard for him. Im no eagle myself but WHO plays solely on setller (1) difficulty.
>>
>>50948052
>friend demerits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKGkTkT_3c
>>
File: IMG_20161230_183308.jpg (831KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_183308.jpg
831KB, 1613x1210px
Oh wow, look at that! Home from work and there's mail for me!

This feels a little redundant but I really liked the sounds of both games and they seem different enough, even if they're the same genre. I'll answer for myself which I like more.
>>
>>50943330
Valley of the Kings: Afterlife for deck builders. It plays in far shorter a time then most of the others on that list.
>>
>>50945890
I might recommend either Catacombs or the new team version coming out soon, will let you know which my 5 year old prefers when I get it.
>>
>>50950136
I've been able to play my copy of Spector Ops once. I played against one other friend and I was able to easily win as orangutan. I think it was because he still wasn't sure about the rules. I think it'd be a lot more fun with more people who really knew what was going on

Haven't played FoD but I've really wanted to!
>>
>>50950256
From my understanding, Specter Ops is best at 3 or 4. 5 players sounds interesting but seems really slapped together as a lot of people just ask the question "What do I do?" when they get revealed at the traitor. I'm hoping it hits big with my friend and his wife who are big Metal Gear Solid fans.
>>
>>50950173
It's also the only deckbuilder I've played where you don't necessarily want to trash the starter cards.
>>
>>50950402
>>50950173
And now I feel like an ass for forgetting entirely about that series.
>>
is there anything fishy about this?
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Ascension-Year-Two-Collectors-Edition-English-Gioco-da-tavolo-in-scatola-/132015834953?hash=item1ebcc1c749:g:XRAAAOSw4GVYOk6q

i really cant find anything that would seem so.

even with expensive shipping thats like 75 euro
>>
>>50947424
>tfw working schedules only ever sync up on a blue moon
Adult life blows
>>
should i hurry up to get the big box of el grande since its oop for is there plenty of stock ?
>>
>>50950730
>is there anything fishy about this?
Yeah, it's in some weird German/French mashup language which isn't English.
>>
>>50947392
Bump on this
>>
What are some good auction games that aren't Ra? I can't find the old edition anywhere for a reasonable price and I'm not buying the new one because fuck Asmodee, the new edition looks uglier, has cheaper components and costs more.
>>
>>50951187
Get Cyclades second hand.
>>
>>50951187
For Sale, Keyflower, Power Grid, all solid
>>
What are some of the biggest announced releases for 2017?
>>
>>50951411
Feudum is the only one I care about right now.
>>
>>50951411
Unn... "Hype" and of course there's the every popular "Shill Storm"?
>>
>>50951411
Glorantha: The Gods War
Sword & Sorcery
Gloomhaven
The 7th Continent
Deep Madness
Mythic Battles: Pantheon

For more see here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/217265/20-most-anticipated-games-2017-nominations-are-ope
>>
>>50947424
Like you were doing anything anyway
>>
So, I'm watching the Dice Tower video entitled "Top 10 Gaming Experiences of 2016" and Sam Healey made a crack about Zee having a "Word of the day." Then later, he said, "Do you even word of the day?"

Is that... Has that "do you even x" thing spread elsewhere or did Sam Healey just basically DYEL in a YouTube video?
>>
File: welcometotheinternetfollowme.jpg (151KB, 480x453px) Image search: [Google]
welcometotheinternetfollowme.jpg
151KB, 480x453px
>>50951848
>Has that "do you even x" thing spread elsewhere
>>
>>50951411
I'm kinda looking forward to dark souls but only cuz I really like the souls games
>>
>>50951848
Have you been gone that long? Do you even lift has been used by everyone for years now.
>>
>>50944683
Third. This is a solid game that you can play with normies
>>
>>50945156
It was in stock today at MiniatureMarket, and sold out again in a few hours.

Sorry, anon.
>>
>>50945890
Jamaica under racing games would be my suggestion.
>>
>>50951432
My negro.

I want it bad.
>>
>>50951848
I can't stand the dice tower. They're too cringy and get off topi too much for me
>>
>>50952540
*off topic
>>
>>50952430
Nice, I wouldn't have gone there, I always think of playing it with the 12yr old nephew, not the younger kids.

>>50952540
They can be pretty fun to watch, and the live shows are generally awesome, but the latest top 10 was "check out all these cool stories of cons on the other side the country you can't get to, and gave us kickstarter money to visit". Not as cringey as some of the newer segment contributors (Throat Punch Lunch is the worst thing on earth) but pretty awful.
>>
>>50952608
I've played it a few times with 7-10 year olds with few problems.
>>
>>50952540
Are there any good board game focused YouTube channels?
That one series with will wheaton makes me wanna jump out of a window
>>
>>50952826
I disliked Wil Wheaton but his show helped me get started in board gaming.
>>
>>50952826
I really like Rodney Smith's channel "Watch It Played". He's a really chill guy who explains how to play games really clear and concise without spewing memes or SJW agendas in his videos
>>
>>50952608
I still end up going to them for box openings and first impression reviews because at least they (Tom, Sam, Zee and Rob, disregard the others) have good diction and explain shit more consicely even when they drift off topic.

Also they don't SJW as hard as other channels and are adult and transparent about their dislikes. Tom doesn't like nudity/riske art because he has children and a thin-skinned wife, Sam doesn't like heavy corruption/adult themes because he has children and was/is a preacher, neither is just complaining about the princess in Conan counting as an object in ONE scenario just for tumblr good boy points.

All in all they're not the best, but they're the least bad.
>>
>>50952988
Pretty much why I watch them, Game Boy Geek falls into that line too, though I haven't watched his stuff since he split off the channel, but his Rahdo impression might be the best moment in Dice Tower history.
>>
>>50953138
>Rahdo impression
Do you have a link?
>>
ssup, /bgg/.
a friend just bought forbidden stars for our small board games group, what are we into?
>>
>>50953316
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECNaOwtbp-c
1:05:35
>>
>>50953543
That was everything I could hope for and more
>>
>>50953543
Kek
>>
>>50953378
Fun times if you're not brain dead faggots.
>>
>>50954390
well, we will figure that out the day after tomorrow, when we gather up.
thanks for the heads-up (i guess).
>>
STILL FUCKING WAITING FOR MY MASMORRA KICKSTARTER FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
>>
>>50954507
How do you screw up this badly?
>>
>>50954667
they blamed their production factory of chinks for the delay. I hope rum&bones 2 doesn't take a hit too.
>>
>>50937556
>What have you played recently?
I learned how to play Splendor and Carcassonne on my phone. 2 games I always hear talked about but never got to play. Tempted to get them both now but I vowed not to buy games for the next 3 months while I save up for a trip. I have shit on pre-order anyways and like 5 games I haven't gotten to the table yet.
>How was 2016 for you? What did you play? What did you buy? Any surprises or disappointments?
I JUST got into boardgames big time 2016. I owned like 10 boardgames not counting expansions before this year started, now I own 36. In that regard it has been a fantastic year, but it has been a year of catching up. 7 of my 26 games I got are from 2016, 10 are from 2015, and the rest vary anywhere from 2014-2007.
>Which 2017 releases are you excited for?
I have a pre order on the Millennium Blades Set Rotation expansion and Santorini should be arriving this coming week. I suppose I'm interested in Pandemic Legacy Season 2, but it better twist things a good deal more. Can't keep doing the same shit. Outside of that, I have the faint hope that Specter Ops will announce an expansion, but apparently despite having promised an app and possibly expansion, they've been crushed under the weight of the asmodee acquisition for now. The developer still seems optimistic it's going to happen, just delayed.

Oh! Almost forgot there's that expansion for Xia coming out soon. I haven't gotten Xia yet because I hear it's a super cool game that's flawed and have hope the expansion will fix up those things and make it the X3: Terran Conflict: The Boardgame I always wanted.
>>
Is Fury of Dracula worth getting right now?
>>
>>50955347
>Right now
It's now or never.
>>
>>50951411
Pandemic Legacy Season 2 is all but officially confirmed for 2017.
>>
>>50937651
There is this weird collectable dice game from 1996 that did star trek 1v1 combat relatively well, but it never caught on with anybody
>>
I'm about to run TI3 as a four-player game next week. I plan to use the two-ring setup, but have questions:

-How does tile arrangement change in terms of how many tiles of each type get dealt to each player?
-Do objectives need to be modified in case of a lack of resources?

Those are the most critical questions. If there's a writeup somewhere that can be linked to that would be great; tried googling but apparently I'm shit at it because all I find are people playing with more rings, not fewer.
>>
>>50955765
Shattered ascension dude.
>>
>>50955347
It was in production for only a year and a half, and it was one of the best selling games of 2016, and now it is going to be out of print because of the split. If a new version gets announced independent of Fantasy Flight, then maybe it won't be as big of a deal, but if you want to play it any time in the next 2 years, yes.

That being said, make sure you want this game. It's a fun game for sure. However, it is a heavier game as far as fiddly rules go, it is a longer game (3 hours to start, 2 hours once you have the flow down and know more about it), and it is a game that has the disappointing potential to maybe be one sided.

That being said, it can be a very tense and fun game and probably the deepest hidden movement game.
>>
>>50952826

Shut & Sit Down are phenomenal, though they're all so charismatic they get a lot more out of party and heavy interaction games than normal proles do.

They'd also bigtime SJWs (Quinns is literally married to Leigh Alexander). I'm fine with it but obv YMMV. It doesn't come up in the vids but it will in everything else they do.
>>
>>50955788
>It doesn't come up in the vids
Conan and KD:M.
>>
>>50955770

Right, thanks anon. Got that confused with Shattered Empire.
>>
>>50945247
Yes, with the huge caveat that it's a hilariously fun game for those who like swingy as shit competitions to be had in good fun. There's plenty of room for thinking about strategy and there's a team for every play style if you're willing to use older rules for team building.
>>
>>50951030
how do you know?

i thought years where only printed in english.
>>
>>50955810
these are all the changes to the game.
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/from-crp-to-bb2016.pdf?token=AWwZ3-C3AA7DiaWPOJ-TB8y0bKbkmuCujVPCSqni1raA8437vKyrZJgpuXJavjavgFVjaSmB6MTnzlenhNCCIBHNXvFN2hBJn4Eskgi8rhOw_znmS3_37LYEala8STnX290I_0vlMv9PmhVFNHgV1qoX

meaning almost none.
big one is special cards.
piling on nerfed to shit
you have a 1/6 chance to keep your guys and secret weapons after getting them send off.
no more wizard inducements
>>
>>50955788
>Shut & Sit Down are phenomenal, though they're all so charismatic

0/10
>>
>>50951030
are you sure? it says its in english.
>>
>>50955788
Shut Up and Sit Down would be good if it didn't feel like they were tied by the bollocks to the whims of their donators.
>>
>>50955788
>doesn't come up in vids
>555-come-on-now.png
Even going as far back as their archipelago review that shit was present.
>>
>>50955469
Come on now, you'll still be able to get it. Last print run is still in stock, and a lot of people impulse bought it because it's going OOP, more than a few of these will pop up secondhand soon. Scalping the wrapped game will begin late 2017.
>>
>>50955774
>deepest hidden movement game.
I think Letters from Whitechapel is deeper, and a lot less random. It's mechanically simpler, has no combat or doom timer. The deduction and bluffing elements and the thrill of the chase are much stronger IMO.
FoD is trashy fun that relies very heavily on the theme. Whitechapel is tense and puzzly.
>>
>>50955788
Heave you read their cards against humanity review?
>>
My favorite board games are Settlers of Catan, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Pandemic, and Monopoly.

What would recommend? I'm more of a fan of city / nation building-type games, like I play a lot of Civilization and Carcassonne.

Alternatively, whats the best first expansion of Catan? I've been playing standard Catan for fucking years (still love playing it but want to see what the expansions has to offer).
>>
>>50956983
Assuming this is not a troll post
> What would you recommend
Getting a better taste and educating yourself.

Try Mansions of Madness 2 ed for a replacement of Betrayal at House on the Hill.

> Monopoly
Jesus. Try Powergrid.

Pandemic is Ok. Try grabbing expansions or other coop games. Ghost Stories is nice.

What do you like about Catan?

> Building the longest network?
Try Terra Mystica or Kingdom Builder
> Trading for resources
Bonhanza?
> Building stuff in general?
Castles of Mad King Ludwig or Castles of Burgundy

I'd also recommend checking out Stoneage and Powergrid.
>>
>>50957102
you rec'd Power Grid twice, nice bait
>>
>>50956983
>Alternatively, whats the best first expansion of Catan?

Most people enjoy the ones that add an exploration element the most, so either Seafarers or Explorers & Pirates. Seafarers is closer to standard Catan in style, while in Explorers & Pirates you get ships to move around and transport stuff.
>>
>>50957117
Yes once as a Monopoly replacement and once as a Catan replacement.
>>
>>50957102
>Ghost Stories is nice.
Ghost stories is brutal, there's very little margin for error. Even if you play really, really well the game can kick your ass in a few turns.
Very fun in a masochistic sort of way.
>>
>>50955765
>Change up map tiles
Just run The Breach from the shattered ascension map archives. Best four player map I've ever played on.
>Modify objectives
Nah, unless you draw one that is literally impossible given the map setup, then just discard and replace it.

>>50949077
Fight me.
>>
>>50951951
Prepare to be disappointed with that one.
>>
>>50955788
It does come up time and again, as that anon says they're gutless and pander hard to their donators who surprise surprise are a bunch of faggoty SJWs paying to get pandered to with some mild, safespace-approved humor and very little actual gaming (because we know SJWs don't actually play games) in the mix.
>>
Which one or all /tg/?

>The Resistance
>Jaipur
>Lost Cities
>One Night Revolution
>Agricola
>>
>>50955788
>>50956314
There's little mentions like that, but they at least haven't gone as far as insisting on players referring to slave components as "assistants" in games.

>Let it go, Wil. Felicia Day won't make you her love assistant no matter how much of a Nice Guy you try to be.
>>
>>50955801
Not quite sure what they were expecting, subject matter wise. "Oh no, I've punched a bee's nest and am now surrounded by angry bees! How could this happen!?"
>>
>>50955788
>Leigh Alexander
The gamergate chick?
>>
Played big book of Madness last night at a friends birthday party. Was not on my radar, only heard the name here on the /bgg/. Looked great, salivated at the prospect of crazy synergy team combos to barely scrape by.

Then I realized I recognized the artwork as the guy that does Seasons.

That should have been a big tip off.

Love the rules, love the way it encourages teamwork and combos, but damn, does a turn often consist of: buy a card that I might just lose to a curse, buy a spell I get to use once, nevermind abuse it, cure a madness card as the rest of my resources got stripped away by curse cards.

Half the time we wanted to telepathy a play, it meant using up to many resources to ensure the targeted player could do enough to help out, or a player did not have spells up to make the telepathy worthwhile.

In Grizzled, if you cannot take your turn and half to pass out, even if it on your first turn, you rarely wait more than 5-10 minutes before everyone bails or the mission is failed. But in BBoM, you could have a turn where you do very little, then your future turn is already wrecked on the current turn by curses, and then the future future turn is spent taking actions before your actual turn, so once again you cannot do much when you have priority.

Still want to play it again, maybe 3 players is better than 4 and 5, and damn do I want to like it, but fuck. Game can take too long with you doing too little, never mind the alpha gaming as if you are not doing the optimal move (dicking around experimenting with spell combos and deckbuilding), the table gets upset unless everyone has already agreed to throw that round to upgrade their deck/spell tableau.

In other words, water is wet, news at 11.
>>
Got a question about Descent. What are the players supposed to know? Is it okay to use a "screen" like the average RP DM or is it unnecessary?
>>
>>50956983
Cities & Knights was my favorite Catan expansion.

For other games, try a worker placement game. Lords of Waterdeep is a good easy one. Stone Age is another classic. Also Puerto Rico is just an awesome game all around.
>>
>>50959217
The Resistance and Agricola. Play Jaipur online.

Haven't tried One Night to say anything.
>>
Ok anons, what are some good ways to deal with or try to minimize alpha players?

>inb4 don't invite them
My gaming group is too small for that luxury
>>
>>50959531
Sometimes it is just a matter of personality. I'm an idiot and my friend is literally a rocket scientist. We play coops just fine together because we trust each other to do our jobs and know it'll be more fun that way for both of us.

When he plays with his programmer friend though he hates coops because he's a loud person and super controlling. Lots of people think this is about smarts but guess which team scored better at pandemic legacy. When you work as a team you can solve individual dilemmas and see things others don't. When you let the "smartest" person control everything, you're likely giving the wheel to someone with a very one track mind. The only reason you won't hear him complain about the loss is it was all in his control.
>>
what are some board games I can play online for free? Settlers of Catan is one of them, or at least it was one of them, I think the website playcatan closed.
>>
>>50959820
Board Game Arena has some good classics like Stone Age, Race for the Galaxy, Tzol'kin, Puerto Rico, Love Letter, and more.
>>
>>50959507
You can't quite hide the monsters' stats, and triggered events are hiden by just closing the campaign book or turning the page. Keep your hand hidden and it's all fair.
>>
File: IMG_8213.jpg (453KB, 1920x1439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8213.jpg
453KB, 1920x1439px
These just came in the mail today, what kind of a time am I in for?
>>
What memeworthy things have you done in board games recently, /tg/?

>play Cosmic Encounter
>be Warrior ayyliens with 10 xp counters
>have glutton flare, draw huge amounts of defender rewards
>everyone is at four foreign colonies
>invite everyone for a final invasion of whirligig, for mutual victory
>huge fleets show up, everyone wants to win
>cosmic zap whirligig's hand shuffling power
>drop big attack card with kicker
>guaranteed victory
>my kicker is x2 duplicity
>all my allies ships go to the warp, only I get the colony
>THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE
>>
>>50956292
>>50958559

What is this in reference to? I've been watching them for years and I couldn't name anything that'd fitnyour description.

They reviewed Kingdom Death in part because their community kept asking for it but its also one if the most talked about games of the last year
>>
>>50959217
One Night Revolution for me, it totally destroys the resistance. But I haven't played Jaipur, and it's supposed to be pretty good.
>>
>>50960951
About three days of just learning the rules, and infinite regret that a game so amazing as MK is printed on shiny hard toilet paper
>>
>>50959331
Yep
>>
>>50962039
Probably their cards against humanity review is most notorious for this

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-cards-against-humanity/

It reeks of a holier than thou sentiment about people not being allowed to laugh at certain things. It doesn't very much come up in their video content but it's because they won't really review games with content they don't agree with (Conan and KDM have been the only ones I THINK)

It's sad because other than that I really like them.
>>
>>50962242
>other than that I really like them
>other than the fact they're lolsorandumb pretentious up-their-own-arse SJW faggots I really like them
>>
>>50962293
It is possible to like someone regardless of their political views and humour anon

I think their reviews are well formatted and give you a decent overview while not being dreadfully boring. Some of the jokes work and some don't. I don't follow them outside of the videos because of shit like the cards against humanity review
>>
>>50962242
Both creators of Rick and Morty are more or less left-wing (Roiland seems kind of lefty-liberal and Harmon is an anarchist) and that show has all kinds of "edgy" humor, as well as attempted rape, entire universes being destroyed, etc.

Are there any reviewers who don't mind dark humor but also seem pretty left-leaning if for whatever reasons politics do have to come up?

Also, let's be honest, Cards Against Humanity produces an average of 2-3 real laughs per game unless you're all drunk.
>>
>>50962369
The issue I have with the review is that they're pretty much sitting in an ivory tower over people who play it rather than just saying "yeah its not really a game lets be honest and most of the time it doesn't really produce anything to laugh at"

No idea about review blogs/channels like that.
>>
>>50962242
Note they love Conan and are ambivalent about KDM
>>
>>50962242
>Probably their cards against humanity review is most notorious for this

I wasn't asking about the SJW stuff (that's obvious), I was asking about the 'bowing to donors' stuff that people keep throwing around.
>>
File: IMG_8214.jpg (73KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8214.jpg
73KB, 900x900px
>>50959254
Mfw that Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day are the face of this hobby
>>
>>50962699
It's that they feel guilty for loving Conan that makes my blood boil.
People for fucks sake it's not real and even if it was, the fact that you're useless in a hostage situation while fucking SWAT is saving you ass doesn't mean your value as a person has been removed forevermore. The fucking princess ACTING is the winning condition of another scenario, Belit is OP in the missions where she has access to her pirates, Valeria and the Valkirye are equal fighters to Conan unlike all other male heroes. And the Khitai are not a chinse stereotype because the Fu-Manchu shit is actually based on the Khitai. The stereotype did not exist at the time Howard was writing Conan and the snakey evil magicians don't represent ALL OF CHINA, they represent a specific sect of snakey evil magicians.

All this walking on eggshells to justify liking a great game and an actually endearing setting that in fact happened, and still happens to be, much more progresist than professional-victims wants to admit. Is BULLSHIT.

There is ONE sensible complaint with Conan, and it's that a lot of the content is Kickstarter exclusive. Which seems to be a plague on the company judging by Mythic Battles: Pantheon and which I hope they correct soon least they crumble down the line.

I want to eventually see a collected edition of Conan for retail, this will not happen if politically-minded faggots flag the game and people who unapologetically like it as "problematic", or if we don't make the actual objective problems with Monolith's business model.
>>
>>50963770
Conan debuted in 1932.
Fu Manchu debuted in 1913 and Yellow Peril goes back at least a decade earlier.
>>
>>50963770
>Monolith's business model
I'm not sure whether that's Monolith's idea or Asmodee's.
>>
>>50963804
True, but magic was added to the list of traits for their racist stereotype after Howard.
The point is that the Khitai are not ALL CHINESE PEOPLE, the same way the Black Circle are not ALL CAUCASIANS.

Conan is about individuals, but the good and the bad, being distinctive among their peers.
>>
>>50963770
Conan having a massive amount of Kickstarter exclusive content is why I refuse to buy it right now
>>
>>50963873
HP Lovecraft's friendship with Howard is also probably a major part of why the former became much less racist later in life.

Now, one thing that does bug me is a bit of the kind of sexist stuff in the Lankhmar books, but they're still my favorite fantasy series by far, and it's actually really cool watching Lieber's attitude toward women change throughout the series.
>>
>>50963720
Would the dude with the sideburns fit in the same Geek and Sundry mold?
>>
>>50964106
His name's Ivan but I haven't seen enough of him to tell. From what I've seen he seems to be normal enough
>>
>How was 2016 for you? What did you play? What did you buy? Any surprises or disappointments?
Game-wise, pretty damn good. I played a lot and bought a few things off my wishlist. No real surprises, and any disappointments were just not making all my regular meetups 100% of the time, which is just how it is sometimes.
>Which 2017 releases are you excited for?
I don't really give a shit about new games any more - I have enough games to be getting on with, and there's usually somebody at a meetup who's already bought it.
>>50941348
Junta sort of counts, if you don't mind dated wargames and a baseline level of wackiness
>>50945908
>just give them 2015 Star Wars Monopoly
ftfy
>>50957338
I prefer Samurai Spirits
>>
So, I gave in and late backed Lisboa. I'm stoked and I'm broke. Game looks beautifully convoluted, and I don't even know if anyone will play it with me... Worst case scenario: resell for a small profit, use money to get other games.
>>
>>50964749
Are you me?
>>
Happy New Years nerds. Here's to another year of gaming
>>
>>50964001
same, fuck that.
>>
>>50966169
2017 just began and I hate it already
>>
>>50966359
That didn't take long anon
>>
>>50966359
Yup, how much SJW signal pandering will shit up my kikebook this year I wonder.
>>
File: 1470625585907.jpg (36KB, 520x416px) Image search: [Google]
1470625585907.jpg
36KB, 520x416px
>>50955788
>Shut & Sit Down are phenomenal
I got into board games like 2 years ago, and I'm already planning on exiting after picking up a few more GMT games. I saw all that feminism bullshit video games went/is going through, and I can see it's going to get much, much worse. Those faggots are just adding to the problem.
>>
>>50966169
I played betrayal with my sister and her husband and I think they liked it
Maybe I can get them into heavier games
>>
File: piripiri.gif (427KB, 268x382px) Image search: [Google]
piripiri.gif
427KB, 268x382px
>>50966169
I played Stockpile into the new year. Really fun game, glad I finally got it to the table, with with a group who is usually super hesitant to try anything new. Satisfied my brother who loves economic games, gave me enough deception and bluffing to mess with people, and everyone else seemed to really like it, even the people who seemed extremely hesitant of it. Also played a round of Mansions of Madness with some new people. It continued to impress the 2 new people who never played it. Got to play a new layout of the first campaign, but still couldn't shake that feeling that we knew too much about how everything goes down. It's replayable if you reset til you get a layout you didn't have before, but I would never play a campaign again with entirely people who have played that campaign before.

Overall, good start. The more games I introduce to people that manage to be a hit, the more open to playing all my other games they are, and today was good progress on that.
>>
>>50966169
Spent New Year's with my parents; Dad suggested we play Monopoly. Fortunately, I was given the choice of which version we should play, so in order to preserve my sanity I picked the 2015 Star Wars edition aka the one that's actually tolerable to play. We then had a few games of Cluedo, which was fun... although the second game had the "somebody put two rooms in the envelope" problem you get with that game.
>>
So I just got Code Names for the holidays, any tips for first run and # of players?

Also a question about Rex combat, I really dislike the fact that if you are tied, the person who is first in turn order wins, it just feels off.

Did anyone try a variant where the person with the highest leader power wins?
As in if I have 3 soldiers + 3 power leader VS 2 soldiers + 4 power leader the latter wins.
And only then if both players have no leader then it is decided by turn order.

Will it work? or will it just favor a certain race?
>>
>>50969043
Federation of Sol would win most tied combats with their strength 5, 6, 7 leaders
>>
>>50938361

>Ameritrash

I was more looking for abstract, low-interplay worker and tile placement with little wooden pieces in my Star Trek game. Any recs?
>>
>>50969346
Star Wars Carcassonne
>>
>>50945890
Oh god. Hey, That's My Fish! sounds like a nightmare to play with kids. It's already difficult to not accidentally move around the entire board, but can't imagine how kids with their shitty motor control skills would deal with it.
>>
>>50969043

Codenames is extremely light and you shouldn't have any issues diving headfirst. You can hypothetically play with as many people as you want, but it's not a true party game, so will begin to break down once you start getting ~10 players. 6-8 is ideal. 4-5 is fine.
>>
>>50969482

Also, pay attention to the 0 and indefinite clue options. When your opponent is going to win next turn and you still need 4-5 cards to close it out, (happens a lot) they're close to the only option. Even if they basically know what your cards are from previous hints, they can only guess the hint number+1.

I'm just mentioning this because these seem like the kind of 'advanced' rules that you might not mention to a group because you think they only apply in edge cases, and no one would use them anyway.
>>
>>50969043
Would be more interesting to make it lower strength leader, if that's the direction you want to go.
>>
>>50938093
I'm really good at guessing who Hitler is, one or two turns before he gets elected Chancellor because NO ONE FUCKING LISTENS TO ME REEEEEEE

It's become a running joke in our group that I am the only one who votes "No" to Hitler on the deciding turn, and that everyone always thinks I'm Hitler even though I almost never am
>>
>>50969467
>can't imagine how kids with their shitty motor control skills would deal with it.

Maybe if you're trying to get 3 year olds or potatoes to play it.
>>
>>50969467
>>50970836
No he's got a point, I wouldn't recommend it for the 5 year old crowd, they can still be clumsy, but 8-10 I think it works. Alternatively get a grip mat, those things are really nice for tile laying games, got one for the kids to play X-wing on, it's seen more use with Carcassonne.
>>
>>50947392
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>50947392
A good heuristic I use for such stuff is "Did I fix it?" if not it's probably still not fixed.
>>
>>50971179
Hilarious
>>
>>50959390
Big Book of Madness is quite a lot of fun, but 5 players is garbage in it and I'm pretty sure I'd go so far as to say it shouldn't be considered an option.

You have 30 turns spread across all players in the game, with 5 players that means you, as a player, only get 6 turns of your own, in a game that will probably last at least an hour.

It just doesn't work.

I really enjoy BBoM, but I wouldn't play it with anything except 3 people. Maaaaybe 2 if I had no other options.
>>
>>50959531
>>50959676
I'm an Alpha Gamer. For me, it comes down to the fact that I have ADHD.

When I'm medicated and have had a nice cup of black tea, I'm way less prone to being a bossy douchenozzle, but most of the time I'm just being impatient.

Now, for me, it's obviously my fault, but me accepting the blame doesn't make me stop being bossy because it's not a conscious thing, it's a reflexive way of thought. Best way to keep me away from that is distracting me. Talking to me about something completely different, or even just hypothetical tactics in the game.
I won't have time to actually quarterback like a retard when that happens
>>
Is resistance avalon any good with 5? Or does it need more
>>
>>50971154
Maybe if parents actually got their children to do things that required some actual motor-control instead of sitting them in front the idiot box or slapping at touchscreen nonsense.

My 4 year old is quite happy with animal upon animal, gulo gulo, that's my fish, carcassonne and kingdom builder.
>>
File: IMG_3744.png (206KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3744.png
206KB, 300x300px
>>50947478

Get Dungeon Quest. It's the Emperor of the dungeon crawl genre.
>>
>that moment someone cheated at the game evening and it made other people feel justified cheating
>You now have to inflict corporeal punishment to keep it fair
>everyone is now paranoid as fuck
Never knew boardgames could be this intense
>>
>>50971753
>corporeal punishment

Corporal
>>
>>50971753
Story time?
>>
Which game would you most like a well done digital version of?
>>
>>50971798
>play castles of burgundy
>one turn I notice something's off, but think its just me being tired and drunk
>someone suddenly calls someone else out that he switched a building from his building plot with a building of the middle board
>he denies and in the end others are doubting and we let it slip
>some days later play smallworld
>something is wrong with unit count
>some player who was whining about how he was getting gangbanged by the others used a declined tile he was supposed to kill instead to reinforce himself, putting it in the stack of his troops
>as bank I put unit tiles back into the box, when I sort them out I notice another troop in the pile of dead units
>normally this can happen if someone is late with returning their kills but since I noticed he had too many troops I called him out
>says hes justified since he got buttraped and the other guy cheated at castles of burgundy
>later someone tried to trade 9 points worth of coins for a ten, I slam his hand with an empty beer bottle
>things heat up
>in the end grab a spoon and say I slap any hand I see trying to cheat
>one slap later, everyone is armed with cutlery and people think it is ok to cheat as long as you dont get caught since there is punishment for it
Everything is fun and games until someone falsely accuses you of cheating and everyone is doubting you so they can slap you
>>
>>50971798
He does, in fact, Catan.
Do you?
>>
File: Ivan.jpg (24KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ivan.jpg
24KB, 200x300px
>>50964356
Ivan seems to be one of the more straight forward of the G&S crew, just talking about the games and GMing.

Plus, he TPK'd a group with Wil and Felicia in it, so that's something. Granted, that's not hard in Paranoia, but still kinda funny.
>>
>>50967059
Would help if you didn't watch online tabletop shows? It seems like an easy enough thing to avoid if that's the only thing turning you off to tabletop games.
>>
>>50972112
At my house you just get kneecapped with a bb gun until it stops being funny.
>>
>>50972487
its probably just a phase, like the punishment game where you had to drink a shot of liquor if you got a perfect roll.
>>
File: it's the game boy geek here.jpg (105KB, 1061x669px) Image search: [Google]
it's the game boy geek here.jpg
105KB, 1061x669px
Is the Game Boy Geek a pleb?
>>
>>50972604

My tastes never align with this guy. It's too bad, his vids arent too bad.
>>
>>50972487
>>50971753

I dunno man, my game group doesn't usually cheat, but if shit got physical, they'd try to do it on purpose just to see how many times they could get away with cheating without being noticed, and brag about all the times they didn't get caught when punishment came around. They'd see it as a dare and adopt a "fuck your shit" attitude.

Don't play with cheaters, anon. If they keep up the shenanigans
>>
>>50972646
Yeah, it's only happened once, and that guy didn't get invited again for a year.
>>
>>50972092
Avoiding the usual snarky answer of "board game with existing digital version (that's shit)"... any old board game that still holds up today (but has a lot of fiddly pieces): Junta, Tales of The Arabian Nights, etc...

What's the one where aliens are invading a ship and there are loads of different weapons, some of which can make the aliens bigger?
>>
>>50972604
He likes lighter games, but his reviews are well produced and reasonably informative. Better than watching SUSD but it'd be better if he had someone else on the channel to review things that run counter to his tastes. Or if he'd just teach the Dice Tower guys how to improve their game, that'd be fine too.
>>
>>50972092
I feel like hidden movement games could be done well online
>>
File: bgc.jpg (204KB, 1227x668px) Image search: [Google]
bgc.jpg
204KB, 1227x668px
Thoughts on Bower's Game Corner?
https://youtu.be/bIxUq9hKlK8
>>
>>50973476
>The Big Game map on wall
>all Ameritrash all the time
>low production values
>big spoonful of cocaine in his coffee instead of sugar
Seems like a nice enough guy and would be fun to game with at a con, but cannot think of a good reason to watch his reviews.
>>
>>50952540
I'm not the biggest fan of Dice Tower, but cringey isn't exactly what I would describe them as. That's what I would describe someone who over acts and flings memes and such. If anything Dice Tower is just dry and doesn't go very in depth on anything.
>>
File: IMG_0332.jpg (128KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0332.jpg
128KB, 1600x900px
>>50973476
That picture makes me think of this
>>
Trying to get my non board game wife into board games.

I'm gonna try playing Gwent with her tonight as a sort of introduction.

Give me suggestions please.
>>
>>50974375
what experience does she have with boardgames. Do you already have some boardgames to try?

Generally I like lighter games with a lot of open stuff because it is easier to teach and tell them what possible things they can do if they are stuck.
>>
>>50974397
I only have the Game of Thrones board game, she would like that but it's 3+ players.

She tried MTG once, she got the rules, but I think she would prefer something more 'light'
Probably a 2 player VS sort of game, with very light dice chucking.
>>
>>50974375
Gwent isn't as fun IRL as it is in the witcher. Lots of mental math can get confusing and she's obviously not going to know how to deckbuild (I've tried with my copies of gwent with my GF, it went alright. If you want a 2 player versus card game, maybe netrunner?
>>
>>50974427
star reams
king domino
lord of the rings confrontation
>>
>>50971554
How does a game that plays itself automatically count as an emperor of dungeon crawls?
>>
>>50974475
I actually played it against a friend who normally doesn't play card games, but knows the rules as he's played the Witcher. Had WAY more fun than in the game vs AI.
>>
>>50974475
Will look at Netrunner though, was always interested in that.
>>
>>50974427
I dont have experience with GOT but the fact she wants to try it can help a lot in keeping someone engaged. The problem is, is that with 120-240 minutes of playtime can be very frustrating since you make beginner mistakes at the start and then have to carry on a game you know you crippled yourself in.

7wonders: the duel is maybe a bit hard as well for someone who doesnt play games, but the fact all the info is open means you can look what situation she is at and you can tell her options. If the first age goes particularly bad you can also redo it. That and its limited play time make it nice. Since you can play a few times and in the second game you already have a sense of how it plays out, but with enough depth to keep you thinking.

That said I only explained 7wonders duel to people that know boardgaming. So maybe some concepts that they take for granted are hard for beginners.
>>
>>50974568
I will check it out, thanks.
>>
>>50974540
I guess my group just found it lackluster including me. I think we've all played the witcher and had fun with it. Oh well though, I'm glad I ended up getting the IRL decks anyways.

>>50974554
You can just buy the core set and have fun with that, no need to delve deeper. It'll take a bit to walk though the rules and play a few games to get used to it like any other game, but I find the asymmetry refreshing. I'm also seconding star realms from that other guys post.
>>
File: end it.png (583KB, 960x613px) Image search: [Google]
end it.png
583KB, 960x613px
>>50974375
Hope you have better luck than me.

I tried playing Escape from Colditz with a girl on a date

Ended up calling her a 'stupid slav bitch' because she was playing as the Poles and managed to escape one of her prisoners really early then tried to apologise by saying 'aha at least now you've escape you'll get the pleasure of a soft woman like yourself'

didn't get a gf
>>
>>50974630
Will probably pick up Netrunner and Star Realms, cheers.
>>
>>50974673
You should actually check out the star realms game on the google play store or whatever see how you'd like it.
>>
>>50974661
haha, classic
>>
>>50971780
No, corporeal.
>>
File: GameBoard-IT.jpg (38KB, 480x264px) Image search: [Google]
GameBoard-IT.jpg
38KB, 480x264px
Not many tabletop shows can hold a candle to the glory of GAME BOARD
>>
>>50972092
To expand on this, if a big media company decided to license a bunch of games and create high quality digital versions of them and put them all on a disc you can buy for PC with great support for great multiplayer, patches and balancing, online community, voice chat, friend lists, score boards and all that... Which games would you like to see as part of a digital board games collection like that? Let's say it comes with 20 games. Would you make sure they are balanced regarding genre, weight, theme, player count, young and old player demographic, age of the game?

>Which 20 games would you like to see be part of a digital board games collection?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JacYVeiK6z0

German Mage Wars Championship 2016 finals
>>
>>50978559
Didn't even know Luis Scott-Vargas plays Mage Wars.
>>
>>50978559
Goddamn it, I can't get anyone to play the game with and there's a fucking LEAGUE in germany?
Fuck that.
>>
I ordered Mage Knight and got it in the mail yesterday. I finally opened it up to look at the rules...what have I gotten myself into?
>>
>>50980751
There are some good tutorials on Youtube
>>
>>50980751
Rulebook is a mess, probably one of the sloppiest ones I've read. Who the fuck thought "oh hey, a single rulebook is boring, let's randomly split the rules into TWO booklets you can't cross-reference, and make a learn-to-play section without any logical structure" was a good idea?
>>
>>50980886
Everyone at FFG, apparently.
>>
>>50982175
FFG had their share of bullshit, but at least their 2 booklets are always "Learn to play" and "Rules reference"

That being said, that's as far as I defend Fantasy Flight after what they did to Rebellion, making the tutorial game the default taught rules and making the real game something you look up in the back as some kinda variant. The entire rules for setup aren't in the back there so you have to go back and forth and just know what rules are only for the tutorial and then flip back to the real rules to know what the fuck you're supposed to do instead.
>>
>>50971554
I head mixed reviews about this, is it really any good?
>>
>>50971179
The autism is strong with this one
>>
>>50974375
Somebody post that rec list
>>
>>50952873
Seconded. Great use of visuals, no bullshit but his videos are a bit on the longer side
>>
>>50976993
>patches and balancing
I dont think autists will accept changes to the online version that would change it from the base version
>>
>>50937556
Their SJW tendencies I can abide by, but this is absolutely beyond the Pale.
>>
>>50984309
Opinions are like assholes, man. Everybody has one and everyone thinks other people's stink.

I don't really care for SUSD's tastes, but they are probably the only reviewers that bother with a nice entertaining script for their videos.
>>
>>50984389
Matt Thrower's articles are great, too bad he hasn't posted any in four months, and that's about Warhammer fucking Quest of all things.
>>
>>50984389
>nice entertaining script
That's a funny way of saying they're lolsorandumb faggots who (in the two videos I deigned to watch) you wished would shut up with their nonsensical drivel and just fucking get to whatever retarded point they were trying to make in the first place.
>>
>>50984014
I'm completely fine with his videos being a little longer. The quality is top notch and they're longer because he makes sure to take his time and explain everything he can. I'd love to play a game with him sometime
>>
>>50969043
Code names, 4 players per team is fun (one clue giver and three guessers).
>>
>>50984441
What can I say, I'm easily amused. It's not like I watch them for deep analysis.
>>
Does Triumph and Tragedy and Fire in the Lake count as heavy games?
>>
>>50973476

Never watched his standalone shows, but his board game breakfast segments were instaskip.

Fucker's fake enthusiasm is really grating, and he apparently loves munchkin.
Ew
>>
File: download.png (1MB, 1000x1103px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
1MB, 1000x1103px
Has any one here tried Clank!.

Looks kinda fun, does it have good replayability?
>>
File: emps.gif (1MB, 519x327px) Image search: [Google]
emps.gif
1MB, 519x327px
Claiming the 310th post in the name of the God Emperor of Mankind. Bump limit reached.
>>
>>50982405
It's shit. The biggest (only?) good thing about the previous edition was that it included Descent cards for the characters in the box so you'd treat it as a promo character pack and sell/chuck the rest.
>>
>>50984309
Help an autist out, what point are they trying to get across?
>>
>>50984956
Quintin does not like dry euro games and doesn't seem to think they deserve good ratings because everyone should have fun the RIGHT way.
>>
>>50984956
>what point are they trying to get across?
"Help me I'm a delusional tard. Please end my existence swiftly"

You have to read between the lines.
>>
Anyone ever play the psychical version of M.U.L.E.?
>>
>>50986475
Haven't perfected my telekinesis and clairvoyance yet, sadly.
>>
File: 1480801418275.jpg (97KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
1480801418275.jpg
97KB, 500x431px
>>50937556
>How was 2016 for you? What did you play?
i played My LIttle Pony JUNIOR monopoly game drunk with friends on new year's eve. That was something else
>>
>>50986619
Shai-hulud kawaii desu~!
>>
>>50986530
>he doesn't play Kemet on the astral plane
>>
>>50986530
Gosh damnit anon you know I meant physical
>>
>>50987345
New thread up
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.