[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Games General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 26

File: Board Games.jpg (502KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games.jpg
502KB, 900x900px
/bgg/ - Board Games General: 2016 is ending Edition!

Previous thread:
>>50781947

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

What are your favorite 2016 releases?

Roughly how many different games and how many times did you play this year?
>>
>>50828932
>What have you played recently?
I played Carcassone for the first time in half a decade or so and really enjoyed it. It gave me the itch to play more older games this weekend with the family.
>What are your favorite 2016 releases?
Conan.
>Roughly how many different games and how many times did you play this year?
Very few, almost all my playgroup is freelancers so our schedules never meet and I'm left with Magic, solo gaming or whatever filler the LGS owner is in the mood for while we wait for FNM to fire.
>>
Some popular games from this year are:

Cry Havoc
Scythe
The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
Terraforming Mars
The Oracle of Delphi
Inis
Mechs vs. Minions
Falling Sky
Great Western Trail
A Feast for Odin
Star Wars: Rebellion
Captain Sonar
Conan
Codex
Project: ELITE
Kingdomino
Quadropolis
Avenue
Via Nebula
Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu
Oceanos
The Others: 7 Sins
51st State Master Set
Pandemic: Iberia
Tyrants of the Underdark
In the Name of Odin
Commissioned
Hero Realms
Carcassonne: Amazonas
Star Wars: Destiny
Mombasa
Lorenzo il Magnifico
Railroad Revolution
Guilds of London
Clank!
Adrenaline
Santorini
7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon
The Networks
Black Orchestra
Bloodborne: TCG
Flamme Rouge
Warhammer Quest:Silver Tower
Deadzone: 2e
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis
Escape the Room: The Game
Fabled Fruit
Deathwatch: Overkill
Gorechosen
Ponzi Scheme
Secret Hitler
Aeon's End
The Arrival
Doom
Arkham Horror: LCG
Imhotep
Millennium Blades
Dead of Winter: Long Night
Hands in the Sea
Mystic Vale
Tin Goose
Automobiles
World of Yo-ho
Dragon and Flagon
New Bedford
Insider
Happy Salmon
>>

Twilight struggle, Deception, Conan, Kemet.

Favorite game from this year has been Conan.

Favorite release is Ta-seti for Kemet.

Played all the "big releases". Played roughly 400 hours over all this year. Pretty good year over all want to play more in 2017.
>>
>>50828866
What makes the game awful? It has pretty good reviews.
>>
>>50829182
An anon was talking about user made scenarios for it earlier in the thread.
>>
>>50829367
Jesus from the list I only played
>Terraforming Mars
Nice Euro / Tableau builder. To be honest I don't see the big deal compared to Race for the Galaxy or Imperial Settlers. The drafting mechanic seems weird because most of the time you'll be only getting 4 cards to play with per round and there's nothing that can produce new cards.
>Adrenaline
Played it once didn't like it. I don't know - it just doesn't speak to me. It seems very finicky with the last rounds mechanic, the bonuses you get etc. Not a bad game objectively speaking though, but I don't think it will have any staying power.
>>50829559
He did? Crap can't find it
>>
>>50829597
>He did? Crap can't find it
All he said was that they exist not where to find them or anything so it wouldn't help you much if you found it anyways. I'm not sure where you would look for them boardgamegeek might be a good start.
>>
When do you buy military in 7wonders:duel. The loss of first pick and the mild bonusses you get from pillaging makes it feel inferior to selling or science
>>
>>50828932
Santorini, Kemet, Tannhauser, Blood Rage, Cry Havoc, Epic, Dead Last, Kenjin,

Mostly between Santorini and Mare Nostrum right now, with Captain Sonar in third.

>How many and how many times?
Probably got 2/3 of my ~80 games played this year at one point or another, but not a load of plays on any one game. Mafia de Cuba probably pulled the most individual plays.
>>
My God the new Arkham Horror is great. Shame about needing 2 cores for full deckbuilding, though.
>>
>>50829630
How was Kenjin and Mare Nostrum?
>>
Finally got to play Secret Hitler this week, I've been waiting almost a year to get a hold of it. I was cautiously pessimistic in that I thought I'd be the odd man out liking it with the possibility of passing policies being dull but everyone who played it loved it. Highly recommend to anyone, I think it's leagues better than Resistance
>>
>>50829724
Is there enough room in the box for the cards to fit with sleeves?
>>
>>50830039
Yes
>>
>>50829724
I just made my own set, there's been a couple of iterations.

After the first one I didn't even bother with the ja-nein cards, just did thumbs up or down simultaneously. It occasionally is an issue if someone is slow and ends up being a tie-breaker.

I agree it's a Resistence killer, haven't played my set since PnPing Hitler. And I never even cared for the other social deduction games (Werewolf and co) that much in the first place.
>>
>>50828932
Any notable soon-to-be OOP's other than Fury of Dracula, Forbidden Stars, and Spulk Dangel?
>>
>>50830316
Chaos in the old world is the other big one.

>>50829662
Both are really good. Kenjin is a fun, tight, quick little mindgame in a box, probably my go-to filler for four players in the coming year.

Mare nostrum is the best low/medium conflict dudes-on-a-map I've played. Not as political as Rex/Dune or as vicious as Kemet, but incredibly elegant with fantastic expression of player agency. Subtle but very strong asymmetry, excellent trade that feeds back into asymmetric evaluation of the worth of different territories, and with a surprisingly quick playtime once everyone's up to speed. Biggest gripe is the potential for out of the blue endgame if people aren't paying close attention.
>>
>>50830530
>Chaos in the old world is the other big one.
Got it, but the box is fucked and literally the one item they won't send me for free, or at all.
>>
Spyfall, Love Letter Premium, Treasure Hunter and 7 Wonders. Drafting games have been a big hit.

Love Letter Premium is my highest rated so far out of ~3 that I've played. It's the go-to filler/cooldown game. Adrenaline and Oceanos will probably be up there once we get a chance to play them. I was looking forward to Secret Hitler, but the CAH designer and alternate fascist leader promo are slight turn-offs.

I managed to play around 30 different ones since April. Most have been played only a couple times since I constantly have new ones to try. ONUW has probably been played as many times as the rest combined.
>>
>>50830148
Good, I hate it when they won't fit. Thanks anon.
>>
>>50830530
What do you mean by it being asymmetric?
>>
Did shadowrun crossfire go OOP? It's going for ridiculous prices everywhere except my FLGS. How good is it?
>>
>>50831270
The starting Hero powers from the leaders and board positions incline each side towards a certain strategy but every strategy is still viable for each side.

>>50831334
No idea, but a FLGS just opened up near me called LFG. I don't know if they're clever or ignorant.
>>
Anyone play Clockwork Wars? Is it worth a grab for $80?
>>
What do you guys think of pic related?
I'm going to be playing tomorrow and the last time I played (A 3-player game, I was Lannisters) I got absolutely wrecked.
Hoping to be in a 4-player game this time, but I'm unsure of how to approach my options this time.
I realize now that failing to muster units as often as I needed put me at a huge disadvantage, I also think I may not have been playing the naval game well enough.
Any strategies or tips?
>>
>>50832107
How much for the world's first invisible game.
You one of them Wall Street yuppies?
>>
>>50832138
Kek
>>
>>50832107
Are you playing Game of Thrones?
>>
File: pic1077906.jpg (494KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
pic1077906.jpg
494KB, 720x720px
>>50832107
>>50832174
Fuck.
Yes.
>>
>>50830530
Nare Nostrum vs Terra Mystica.
Who wins?
>>
>>50832213
Not a bad game, per se, but too long for its depth and a little too predictable. Rex/Dune do everything it does but better and faster in my book. AGoT is probably a little more resilient to playing with fewer than the ideal max players, but not by a ton.
>>
>>50832280
Nostrum absolutely, but I'm a bad person to ask for that one, TM is way too dry and low-conflict for my plebian ameritrash warmonger heart.

TM is a great engine builder as far as I can tell, but I wouldn't buy it in a hundred years. Probably.
>>
I can get forbidden stars on amazin for about $75. Is it worth it?
>>
File: 1407894553026.jpg (58KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1407894553026.jpg
58KB, 500x375px
>>50829367
Well, I think I see... 3 good games?

This year has not been a great one for boardgames.
>>
>>50832282
I like it better than Rex as you have more control over your resources, or rather the control of resources is determined by player decisions (and is thus subject to negotiation and opportunistic betrayal) and not mostly random nor determined by whether your special abilities give you an easy economy.

It is a bit longer and more complex than it really needs to be though.
>>
>>50833408
Which 3?
>>
>>50833489
I've only got a couple plays in, but the highly asymmetric economies in Rex are part of its charm, and are a central part of the bargaining and politicking. Thrones resource flow isn't bad but I don't think it's as juicy.
>>
>>50833606
Don't feed the shitposters.
>>
>>50833865
For sure, but I think Rex is a bit less balanced. The Letnev player has to be on top of their game or they're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>50829367
>Cry Havoc
>Scythe
>Terraforming Mars
>Inis
>Mechs vs. Minions
>A Feast for Odin
>Star Wars: Rebellion
>Conan
>Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu
>The Others: 7 Sins
>Pandemic: Iberia
>Tyrants of the Underdark
>In the Name of Odin
>Hero Realms
>Carcassonne: Amazonas
>Star Wars: Destiny
>Santorini
>7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon
>Black Orchestra
>Bloodborne: TCG
>Warhammer Quest:Silver Tower
>Deathwatch: Overkill
>Secret Hitler
>Arkham Horror: LCG
>Imhotep
>Dead of Winter: Long Night
Decent year.
>>
>>50833106
Only if you like 40k imho. I mean the game is ok, the price will rise and all, but do you really need to buy fucking boardgames as a form of investment?
If you and your group are into 40k just go for it though.
>>
>>50829367
Obtained:
>Scythe
>Mechs vs. Minions
>Star Wars: Rebellion
>Millennium Blades
+Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
I know Mansions is a second edition but it's so drastically different from first that it's basically a whole new game. You can play a converted over version of 2 of the old campaigns and they're the worst scenarios there and kinda just serve to highlight that before the app, all you kinda did was just fight monsters and search for loot.

Anyways, still need to get Mechs vs Minions and Millennium Blades to the table. Probably most impressed with Rebellion. I want to say the Star Wars trend is being overplayed and I'm sick of it but this game is such a fun and strangely unique war game.
>>
We can't die yet
>>
>>50835908
How is Mechs vs Minions?
>>
>>50837987
He said he hasn't played it yet.
>>
>>50829646
Just played through scenario two this morning, really digging it. Im thinking I'll end up grabbing another core set for sure at some point, probably when the first deluxe box expansion comes out. Otherwise though having a good time.
>>
What's the difference between eldritch horror and arkham horror?
>>
>>50838859
Used to be scale, Arkham thematically is smaller but took longer to play and had far too many expansions resulting in bloat. Eldritch thematically is the world, and is creeping up on the expansion count but still runs an hour shorter.
>>
>>50839099
Is the gameplay any difference besides being faster? Or are they just the same games pretty much?
>>
>>50839099
>>50839280

I read that as takes an hour OR shorter and was like yeah fucking right. I see now.

Eldritch is definitely shorter, and less "fiddly" and complicated overall. It keeps the same kinda core gameplay of Arkham but streamlines some of the clunky bits. The specifics of gameplay are pretty different though.

I'd say start with Eldritch, if you really like it and want more then pick up some expansions or go into Arkham. That's my opinion at least.
>>
>>50839372
>hour OR shorter
Hell no, that's guy who bends time levels of crazy. besides the 30-60 min C'thulu itch is filled by Elder Sign.

>>50839280
They're close enough if you learn one you'll know how to play the other without much difficulty.
>>
>>50837987
Barely a game. No decisions to be made and no chance to lose.
>>
>>50837987
People hate it because
> Riot games
> LoL cashgrab
> Overproduced ameritrash garbage
> Action programming

I got my wave 1 copy, and I like it. It's a fun action programming co-op, simple and easy to teach/play. It is not a puzzly brain burner, not very deep and probably won't win any game design accolades, but it has the best production value in a boardgame ever, period. The attention to detail is amazing.

They improved on the Robo Rally style of action programming by making programmed actions persistent and upgradeable through a six-slot tableau, it's pretty clever. There's also a timer so the action selection and programming doesn't drag.

All the hate Riot gets may or may not be justified, so if you don't want to support Riot, then don't. Is it a LoL cashgrab? Maybe. They ARE pushing a product based on their immensely popular IP, but they're not making a lot of money off of MvM.
They cut all middlemen and took care of their own sales and distribution to help keep prices down. They really did go through a lot of hassle to keep all aspects of the production in-house, and a few older established game publishers could learn a couple of things from this venture.
>>
File: 1438047153280.jpg (70KB, 635x425px) Image search: [Google]
1438047153280.jpg
70KB, 635x425px
>>50828932
Welp! Mare Nostrum and Mafia de Cuba arrived. If I'm lucky, I might get a couple more for Xmas. (Hoping for Quarter Master General...)

I keep looking at Star Wars Armada... but I've resisted so far.
>>
>>50840307
CSI Sales Alert for anyone interested:
Name / Sale $ / Reg $
Dixit $22 ($40)
Pandemic Legacy $33 ($70)
Sekigahara $40 ($69)
Spendor $20 ($40)
The Others: 7 Sins Core $50 ($100)
>>
>>50840307
Armada is really good, but expensive as golden monkey balls. I got a core, learned the rules, gave it a couple plays and when I saw the expac prices I decided I won't be spending any more cash on it. Getting one of each model that's come out would cost $540 burgerland pesos, plus transpacific shipping, plus kiwitax. I could buy a shitty car for that money.
>>
>>50840430
Any of those you recommend?
>>
>>50840928
7 Sins for half price is good even if you hate it and just re-sell it for $80 in a year.
>>
>>50841646
Is definitely invest in it but all my current funds are going/have went to Xmas, Black Friday Gamblers Lantern Second Face, and two Sosa machines
>>
What do you guys think of Sector 6 on Kikestarter? Seems like a weak game but anyone tried it?
>>
File: RUSSIAN_MVD.jpg (93KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
RUSSIAN_MVD.jpg
93KB, 682x1024px
Ok, so I am getting a board game for a family that has never played modern boardgames before.

Should I get them:
Dead of Winter
Or the Haunted House game (House on the Hill or whatever)

I have both, I just need to know which one to wrap for them.
>>
>>50843835
It's probably a bad idea to get them a game if they've never played any modern game.

You need to have played games with them and know that they like modern games before you give them something like that.

Also Dead of Winter is way to complex for a first game, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill is way to polarizing to rely on for a first game.

You need to play games with them to figure out what they would like. Do like king of tokyo or ticket to ride first.
>>
>>50844169
I know they want to try a modern style game, they've just never gotten around to playing one.
>>
>>50844231
Go get them Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride Europe, Lords of Waterdeep, something along those lines.
>>
>>50844365
I'd add 'Dixit' (especially Dixit for an intro to modern gaming), Hanabi, Saboteur 1 & 2, Splendor, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert.
>>
>>50844365
>>50844231
>>50844169
Catan is a standby entry-level because it includes a ton of different basic mechanics: area control, network building, negotiation, and economy building. Based on what they like about Catan you know where to branch into for deeper games.
>>
>>50844660
It also adds getting completely bent over by bullshit luck and/or shafted into the ground by your fellow players and is therefore about as welcome as Talisman as a first game.
>>
>>50845040
So what does that mean to those of us who've never played talisman before?
>>
>>50843835
catan
>>
>>50845219
Count yourself lucky.
>>
Does anyone else find the card design for Fury of Dracula to be really cool?
>>
>>50845396
FFG par for the course. They've released very few ugly games.
>>
>>50845449
I just liked the way they stylized them so much to fit the setting like the item cards having the back look like the front cover to a bible then the item side of the card looking like a bookmarked page on a book. I have forbidden stars and while the art work is good it just doesn't feel as much like the cards are part of the setting.
>>
Amazon is selling space hulk death angel for $18 right now. Is it worth getting?
>>
>>50845449
>They've released very few ugly games.
And Rex's game board just had to be one of those, FML.
>>
>>50845952
Absolutely, especially since it will be OOP in less than a quarter year.
>>
>>50845956
Agreed, they could have designed mind numbingly cool landscapes for Mecatol Rex, and they just HAD to go full Arkham Horror on it.
>>
>>50828932
Love Letter Premium Edition, Carcassonne, Valley of the Kings, Jaipur, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Cosmic Encounter.....and Star Wars Monopoly (sigh). Guess which one Mom got me for Christmas.

Scythe and Valley of the Kings: Last Rites. Didn't really play many others released this year.

Played approximately twice a week on average, and about 50-60 different games.
>>
>>50829724
>>50830218
I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't prefer Secret Hitler. Maybe I just had a shit group but the game seems heavily skewed in favor of the fascists when I played and was extremely frustrating.
>>
>>50846462
It HEAVILY depends on the group. One group I played with had a person who voted no on every vote "because it's funny!" and refused to help out with the game really. At the same time another person just made constant stupid decisions. (Actually told the table they had a choice and picked a facist policy).

Both of these just ruined the game completely.

Get some people who actually care about playing though and it's amazing.
>>
Are there any good vampire games besides Fury of Dracula and One Night Ultimate Vampire?
>>
>>50846750

I should add there was also a time when one player only voted the same way as their friend. It kind of defeats the purpose of games when people do this.

This isn't only in reference to Secret Hitler, but it did happen multiple times in my games. This tends to be a wife/gf that doesn't really care about the game but is begrudgingly invited and/or roped in to play anyways.
>>
>>50846772

Shadow Hunters is really fun.

While not SPECIFICALLY "Vampires", it does have vampires in it.
>>
File: IMG_0437.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0437.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50828932
Not bad for Target to be quite desu
>>
>>50847015
Also saw 7 Wonders Duels but it was at the end cap of the as seen on tv section for some reason
>>
>>50846772
Bloodborne but it's not good just aggressively okay
>>
>>50846823
Thanks anon.

>>50847055
I'll check that out too.
>>
>>50847015
I've always been surprised at how well stocked target is compared to other stores
>>
Has anyone played Star Ways: Destiny? Is it worth getting into?
>>
>>50835908
>You can play a converted over version of 2 of the old campaigns and they're the worst scenarios there and kinda just serve to highlight that before the app, all you kinda did was just fight monsters and search for loot.

Even the one in the graveyard? I've heard that about the one that came with the original's expansions, but I heard the original's base was okay.

This is important information, because I love MoM2e but the monster variety is slim. I'd like one of the other boxes, but I'm not going to shell out $50 for models unless there's a good scenerio too.
>>
>>50847590
I feel a little bad trashing them so hard. They're fun in a simple way. It's just not what makes second edition great. Second edition campaigns often have a cool twist and lots of neat surprises. Cool "I did not see that coming" moments made possible by the app. I would say if you want one, Recurring Nightmares, the one with the graveyard campaign is better. The tiles it comes with work as alternative maps for at least 2 of the second edition campaigns and the Witch, Maniac, and Mi-Go add a good twist to the enemy variety as their use in other campaigns. Plus Dearly Departed is the better of the 2 I think. It's also pretty raw combat but the setting is appropriate for it.

Suppressed Memories has investigator options I like more and the goats and dark druid are good additions, but the tiles only ever get used for their own campaign it seems, and that campaign while having more variety of layouts it could have, is pretty lame. You start armed to the teeth and you just run through a gauntlet of monsters as the app tells you "Hurry, hurry! Go faster", then you fight the Dunwich Horror on an invisible turn limit and it ends.
>>
>>50847484
>blind but purchasing model
Only if you hate having money in your bank account and want to support the EA of board games.
>>
>>50848399
That's what I was thinking. Oh well
>>
File: pic3118623[1].jpg (243KB, 1000x721px) Image search: [Google]
pic3118623[1].jpg
243KB, 1000x721px
>>50828932
SUSD is absolutely correct about this game.
The Khitai should look like Fu Manchu, not dark elves.
>>
>>50847484
heavily scalp prices are up right now

just wait for the next run.
>>
How the fuck do you find groups or make them. I have a group now and we play once per week for half a year but I feel like playing more and they dont. So I figure I might aswell play with another group in addition to the first group but nobody seems to be into boardgames.
Last time there was a boardgame evening of a study association and I half feared it would be some kind of warhammer 40k next level shit, but it turned out to be some guys just passing time playing settlers of catan until it was late so they could go out drinking.

I also checked boardgamegeeks group finding pages but those are dead in my country
>>
Finally got Fleet Captains played again after almost two years on the shelf.
>>
>>50853540
The green look like a combination of Klingon / Romulan ships, but I don't recognize the purple ones at all. Are those from DS-9 perhaps?

And I hope you're happy that you forced (FORCED) me to buy Mafia de Cuba and Mare Nostrum with my latest CSI order. (Because I damn-skippy! sure am. :)

Merry Christmas Eve / Happy Holidays you filthy animals!
>>
>>50852533
Try creating your own meetup group (from the site of the same name) for your area. Best bet would be to scout around and find someplace public (Pub or Restaurant with a lot of seating or perhaps a space in a Public Library) where you can have lots of folks who don't know each other initially comfortably meet up before posting your group announcement.
>>
>>50828932
>Played
Gave Unusual Suspects as a gift, played 5 very, very quick games of it (the game takes like 5 minutes to play). Perfect game for our group. Can't wait for him to bring it to the New Year's Party
>Goty 2016
Probably A Feast For Odin. It's just too irresistibly meaty
>2016 plays
According to my play log, I've played 180 games over 435 times. It's not a perfect record but it should be pretty close to the true number
Also I retripped so I could find this number again because it was a pain to sum up
>>50829367
Mombasa was an Essen 2015 release, and it was available in the US before 2016. Ponzi Scheme was also at Essen last year, though not widely available until TMG's reprint last month. Of the rest I've only played 6 :'(
>>50829618
I've never gone military heavy, but theoretically you pair it with a resource heavy board and make it so your opponent can't afford to stave you off with his own military. Basically if you do it you have to push hard for the alt-win
>>50831968
I played it. I like how combat resolves, and how they handle faction powers. I hate the random intrigue cards or whatever they're called. It's also a super long one. 80 seems like a lot, I could've swarn I'd seen it for less
>>
>>50853614
Yeah, purple are ds9 ships. Go watch that, by the way, absolutely holds its own against TNG, if for very different reasons.

Good luck with MN and MdC, I look forward to hearing how I've swindled you out of good money.
>>
>>50853614

Yeah purple are The Dominion from DS9.

Jem'Hadar, a couple of Cardassians abd a Breen ship.
>>
>>50850575
Yes, we needed the racial stereotypes to be even harsher to make sure faggoty, limpwristed, lispy, coffee-drinking vegan girly girls with shitty mustaches don't get anywhere close the temple of manliness that is this game.
>>
>>50854255
Careful not to cut yourself on that edge anon
>>
>>50854411
Nigge, there's nothing edgy about that post. Exaggerated macho sarcasm has been a staple of comedy for over 200 years and I won't have your dank reddit memes ruin that.
>>
>>50854565
Bad Reddit! Bad! Stop triggering anon!
>>
Does anyone have suggestions for single player board games?

I have some friends that usually play board games when we get together, but it's not often that we can hang out, and I noticed some games could be played alone.
So I was thinking of getting something like mageknight, shadows of brimstone, or blood rage to play with them or play on my own when they aren't around.

Would those games be a good choice for that purpose or are there any others that would be good as well.
>>
>>50855432
I like Castle Ravenloft. It's more compact than other solo games, it's a crawler so it feels kinda like a videogame and you don't get to give you as much cocessions as with other "1-to-X players" where there's always the temptation to make the other units you're controlling to play sub-obtimally so you can advance the one that's doing better. Just you against the dungeon, fast to setup, fast to play, fast to put away, very easy to mod and with decent replayability. The other D&D games are good too but more complex.

Other than that I prefer my solo gaming to be card games like the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Friday or Onirim.

Play Mage Knight solo only if you have a long and quiet evening to yourself.
>>
>>50855687
Oh I hadn't considered card games, I'll look into those three too, thanks.
>>
>>50855432
>Does anyone have suggestions for single player board games?

Forbidden Island / Forbidden Desert work, as does the Sci-fi 'Tower Defense' game XenoShyft and Space Hulk Death Angel as well. There's also the WW II Submarine warfare game 'The Hunters' too.
>>
Does anyone else find mini board game cards really cute? What games use them?
>>
>>50856402
>Does anyone else find mini board game cards really cute?
yes

shuffling is hell but holding cards only the size of a thumb is cute as fuck
>>
>>50856402
I've seen them in Blood Rage and Merchants & Marauders.

On the other hand, Inis has giant cards and I love the celtic arts of the epic cards.
>>
>>50856402
Right up until you have to deal with decks of them. I like Big Book of Madness, but the card size is a huge pain in the game.
>>
>>50856402
Soooo much of fantasy flight's catalogue.

Want several hundred of them? Get TI3.
Want a few dozen? Get chaos in the old world,
Want a blend of regular size AND kawaii cards? Get Blood Bowl: Team Manager
>>
>>50856402
chaos in the old world
>>
>>50855432
Space Hulk Death Angel
It's going OOP jump on that shit anon
>>
>>50856402
My hands are too big to shuffle those easily so I prefer bigger cards
>>
>>50857633
pretty sure only the expansions will be worth anything.
>>
>>50857790
Spulk Dangel will still be hard to get
>>
>>50857790
Which expansion is worth getting?
>>
>>50858652
all of em
>>
>>50855687
are there any pathfinder adventure card games specifically that are or are not good?
there seems to be a bunch of them.
>>
I want some 2-player competitive dungeon crawlers with miniatures. Tell me about Dungeon Command, Dungeon Prison and any good alternatives you know.

and yes I know about Descent etc., but the one-vs-many skew isn't what I'm looking for atm.
>>
>>50859700
>Dungeon Prison
Fuck, I meant Dungeon Twister that has a Prison expansion(sequel?).
>>
>>50854255
I'm talking about fidelity to the source material.
Either do cheesecake and racialism, or don't do either.
>>
>>50858705
We'll shit, how many are there?
>>
>>50858730
Test out the app, see what you like.
>>
>>50860533
Four; two that add new space marines, one that adds Tyranids as the enemy and one that adds new rooms and stuff. They're all POD expansions that FFG can't make anymore though, so prices have already gone up.
>>
>>50861452
I've noticed they are already at $40 a pop with overpriced $17 shipping on amazon.
>>
>>50861452
>>50861542
Are they really worth those inflated prices?
>>
>>50862542
Value is subjective.
>>
You guys have probably played Spartacus.

I can't.

I cannot play it. The only time I tried playing it, some time ago, I felt super anxious after the game was over. Like, my breath was too fast and my heart was pounding. I couldn't bring myself to betray anybody, or to act in my best interests while stepping over the rest and my own words.

A friend now mentioned that game to me and now I'm wondering wtf is wrong with me and why that game distresses me so much.

Any insights?
>>
>>50863420
Do you not like competitive games?
>>
>>50863420
t. rahdo

fag
>>
>>50863634
Competition is okay. I'm not excellent at competition because I'm not a very competitive person but I can play decently. Spartacus just pushes all of my limits though, I cannot bring myself to promise and then backstab others like if nothing happened.

>>50863770
Who?
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1684x937px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1684x937px
What do you think about my collection? this is about 2~3 months in to the hobby, I think I need to stop buying stuff...

I still don't have Descent, but its my last item to buy on my wish list before I stop ordering games for a while because I've been spending a bit to much lately.
>>
>>50862542
i dont even think the base game is worth it.
>>
>>50864367
>no death angel expansions.

whats wrong is 40 bucks for 20 cards not worth it ?
>>
>>50864367
I would happily attend your game nights, anon. I normally buy something every other month to keep my money on check, though I will make exceptions for expansions if they're cheap enough and find myself playing that particular game.
>>
>>50864876
I actually played it for the first time yesterday with a friend, it seems fun bot not worth the expansion since it has a ton of value on its own.
>>50864931
Thanks, I try my best.
I only wish my friends wouldn't be plebs who only like to play Avalon.
>>
Merry Christmas anons. What game(s) did you get?
>>
>>50866762
Merry Christmas to you, too!
I got the Ta-Seti expansion for Kemet and could play a game of Millennium Blades. What about you, anon?
>>
>>50866762
merry xmas anon

my pre-order copy of Cave Evil: Warcults arrived on Friday and I got to play an Initiation mode (which only uses a small subset of the rules) game with my friend who runs a LGS and had an absolute blast, I am super pumped to explore this further and eventually get to the point where I can play with the full set of rules, including those that integrate with the original Cave Evil. also want to get a four-player game of that going at some point
>>
>>50866762
I got Smallworld from a friend. It wasn't on my wishlist or anything, but I don't mind keeping it so we can play together
>>
Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.
>>
Merry Christmas /bgg/, you are nearly always the best thread on /tg/.
>>
File: marco polo.png (863KB, 557x788px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
863KB, 557x788px
>>50866762
I got pic related from my gf. Really great game.
>>
>>50866781
>>50866810
>>50866997
I got flashpoint today and I've got doom, space hulk death angel, and made knight coming in the mail. Hopefully they'll arrive within a week or so
>>
Anyone on Descent as a first dungeon crawler?
I had tons of people recommending different stuff, but when it comes down to it everyone agrees Descent is a great game, tons of replay-ability and game value for a reasonable amount of $.

Would you recommend it as an all in all first time dungeon crawler for a group who doesn't have any experience with the genre.
>>
>>50866762
Merry Christmas, I got The Gallerist, Alchemists, Above and Below, and Stempunk Rally
>>
What are your top 5 of 2016?
>>
Any Spanishtard here that played/plays "Guerra de Mitos/Myths at War"?
I want to know a bit more about the game, to what other card games compares and if it worths it?
also I never expected them to make a deal with Coolstuffinc, good thing for them.
>>
how is pixel tactics?
>>
>>50866762
Got nothing but I proxied Skull, For Sale and Can't Stop with spare parts, dice and a deck of cards. Also PnP'd Secret Hitler, Vast, EFTAIOS and Hero Realms.
>>
since forbidden stars is oop i wanna sleeve it

is there a sleeve that would fit the cardboard race cards? the very big ones
>>
>>50868450
Measure them and then ask in the Kingdom Death general what will fit that size. They have a lot of larger cards they sleeve that don't fit sleeves made specifically for sleeveing game cards.
>>
File: sleeve_finder_2.jpg (106KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
sleeve_finder_2.jpg
106KB, 600x433px
>>50866762
Wife finally broke down and decided to buy me some starter stuff for X-wing, copy of Survive from my sister along with $5 code to Game Crafter, brother's coming by later and bringing the copy of Diamant he brought back from France earlier this year.

>>50868450
Pic related, if not maybe get lamination sleeves and just don't seal them?
>>
Is magic the gathering arena of the planeswalkers any good? Amazon has it for $10 right now
>>
Merry christmas /bgg/

I have a problem: should I buy El Grande (big box) or Diamant (incan gold) & Last will instead?

For info, I have a 5 person group I often play party games with and Id like to introduce them to some heavier games. Is using these games to do this a good idea?
>>
>>50868634
Good enough for 10 bucks.
>>
>>50868634
Just buy Heroscape secondhand off of me
>>50869521
All good games. I think the theme of Last Will probably appeals more than themeless El Grande. Anything to help smooth the transition
>>
Anybody else? >>50863420
>>
>>50868312
I guess not?
>>
>>50870668
No, but I've seen people get literally paralyzed with fear in paintball and airsoft when they're new to it, as though they were actually in peril. It'll go away as you get desensitized, and play more bluffing/deception games.
>>
>>50868633
>maybe get lamination sleeves and just don't seal them?

Why not seal them? I bought an inexpensive laminator from a local office supply place and it's been kick ass. I've laminated larger stuff like rules cards for games like Nexus Ops, etc. (It's also been very handy for making custom rules 'cheat-sheets' for various RPGs and making sure they don't get destroyed by food or drink during game play.) I also tried laminating a few extra cards I had from 'Core Worlds' - while it worked well, it was just that much more time consuming than buying actual card sleeves (though the laminated ones are a lot more durable).
>>
>>50870660
Is heroscape better or something?
>>
Alright my friends and I are gonna play scythe this xmas since we're all out of the country from our families. How do I not suck balls? What's the basic strat?
>>
>>50866810
Cave Evil: Warcults looks pretty interesting. Are they going to do another print of Cave Evil?
>>
>>50858730
I've played Rise of the Runelords and Skull & Shackles, and liked both.
>>
What makes a good game vs a shit one? I wanna try my hand at making one
>>
>>50859716
Dungeon Twister is not a dungeon crawler, it's a skirmish game.
Just because it says Dungeon in the name doesn't mean it's a crawler. And Dungeon Twister has a videogame versiont hat's just better than the board game.
>>
>>50871176
That's a pretty subjective question. What type of game you want to make is what you should ask first.
>>
>>50860400
SDAP pls leave.
Your argument is shit, you're implying cheesecake (bad evil stuff) and racisms (bad evil stuff) can't co-exist.
Exceptionally strong females like to be butt naked and exeptionally evil not-chinese look like snakes. Neither implies absolutely all women and all not-chinese are like that. Deal with it.
>>
>>50870771
That's interesting, although I don't even like paintball. I understand the sentiment though, it does feel like crap.

I don't think that I can really play games where bluffing and deception are a thing, but you're right on that getting more exposition is probably the way to get desensitized. I don't know if I can do it without it hurting me though.
>>
File: catanfunny.png (583KB, 551x448px) Image search: [Google]
catanfunny.png
583KB, 551x448px
fun game
>>
>>50868312
Looks like a worse Mitos y Leyendas.
>>
>>50867664
Personally, from more noob friendly to less noob friendly
>Claustrophobia
>Castle Ravenloft
>Zombicide: Black Plague
>Level 7: Omega Protocol
>Heroquest
>Shadows of Brimstone
>WarhammerQuest
>The other D&D Adventure System games
>Super Dungeon Explore
>Descent
>Conan
>Myth
>Runebound
>Mage Knight
>Dungeon Quest
>Kingdom Death

Some of these games have a bit more skirmish, some a bit more adventure, some a bit more resource management, but I count all as crawlers and really like all of them.
>>
>>50868634
I bought it for $35 and thought it was worth $20.
So $10 would be great.
>>
>>50871641
Hes talking about over shadows. The main one is like 17 or something on amazon.
>>
>>50868450
I laminated mine anon, worked just fine.
>>
>>50870876
It comes with a lot more plastic. The game is mostly the same, but more characters and terrain means you get more variety.
>>
>>50871786
Why did it go out of print?
>>
>>50871176
Hundreds of hours of playtesting and finding the right publisher.
>>
>>50871794
Hasbro is the most financially-motivated company in gaming. Oil prices skyrocketed, plastic prices followed, Hasbro didn't like how it cut through their profit
>>
>>50871794
Another partial determining factor: they had just bought WotC and thrust the game on them. WotC came out with D&D themed Heroscape stuff that wasn't popular. I think WotC decided that they didn't have the resources post-merger to deal with a game that requires off-brand asset creation. Also explains why they rehashed with their only other IP
>>
>>50871909
>>50872070
So there's no non-flat terrain for arena of the planeswalker? That's pretty disappointing.
>>
File: 1482633833188.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482633833188.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>50840307
I finally cracked this Christmas: Core plus 2 extra medium ships (Gladiator and Phoenix Home) and 2 packs of fighters should give me enough to really explore the game.

It's clear though that if I want to have a variety of competitive fleets it would be a big money sink...
>>
>>50871729
Is the main one for $17 a good deal?
>>
>>50872974
A friend just bought it, haven't played it tho. Seems it tries to blend M:tG with miniature skirmish games and doesn't fare too well.
>>
>>50872416
>big money sink
If you're a completionist, expect to shell out around $500 for all current content (just 1 of each ship). If you like a particular ship or favor certain strategies, you may just buy the ships you need, but still, around $100 pumped into a single game, not including core.
>>
>>50873075
What if I just want to scum it up all day
>>
>>50873027
It's Heroscape with more cards and less terrain.
It's fun. Not $35 fun, but at $17 and $10 it's worth it.
>>
>>50872251
You can make "mountains" or something but they're just folded pieces of cardstock
>>
>>50871369
would you mind to explain a bit more in depth?

also you're a Chi or Mex?
>>
Guys i'm looking for some softer strategy-esque game for my friends to enjoy. Their not braindead, but i mostly have time consuming titles and wanted to add some more easy/shorter and fun game to my collection. I thought about roll for galaxy or 7 wonders, 2 player setup would be also Nice. Whats better, Do you have some other recomendations?
>>
>>50874108
Carcassone is always a good choice
>>
File: 1482627315763.jpg (124KB, 709x1127px) Image search: [Google]
1482627315763.jpg
124KB, 709x1127px
Hey lads,
I just got a reversi set for Christmas. Would I be able to play Go on it if I use a 7x7 grid as opposed to the full 8x8 board? Also, aside from the obvious (checkers), what are some other good games I could play using the pieces (an 8x8 board and 64 reversable black/white pieces)? Thanks for any input.
>>
>>50866762
I'm excited. I got Quarter Master General, and the Air Marshal expansion. Now all I have to do is find someone willing to play it with me...

Had a nice dinner with my folks this evening followed by 3 or 4 games of Blokus. My folks are in the late 70's / early 80's age wise and they liked the game for its simplicity. Hope you all have a good Christmas too.
>>
>>50874396
>would I be able to play go?
Sure, I don't see why not
>what are some other good games I could play?
I don't know if it's good because I've never played it but you could try Pente
>>
>>50874550
>Blokus
My nigga. I love that game
>>
>>50873996
Mexican. Guerra de Mitos, for what I can tell, looks like very early Mitos y Leyendas with power levels all over the place and terrible graphic design. Mitos y Leyendas died thrice already, but at least it has improved drastically every time and is now at a very good place with gameplay quality and depth comparable to Magic and FoW.

Looking at it from the point of view of someone who wants to help all hispanic projects take off and reach maturity, I'd support it.
Lookinga t it from the point of view of someone who has already spend stupid ammounts of money on TCGs that died right away, it doesn't look like a survivor.
>>
>>50874870
>Mitos y Leyendas died thrice already, but at least it has improved drastically every time and is now at a very good place with gameplay quality and depth comparable to Magic and FoW.
Eh I kind of doubt it. I'll get on details later.
mmm yeah I can see the comparisons between guerra con MyL at least in their early stages. i wonder how they will develop over time now that CSI has put their eyes on them.
>>
i just want mechwarriors boosterpacks back, or some game in the same vein like mageknight(clix), il even take fucking pirates of the crimson coast.

AND NO HEROCLIX IS NOT IN THE SAME VEIN. i dont want 20 of the same fucking model in a different pose.
>>
>>50875087
That's what you get when a game cannot survive without leeching off pop culture IPs.
I almost got tempted to get back to Heroclix with the TMNT set. Almost.
>>
>>50875312
it can survive. its just that is is the exact same fucking company doing collectable miniature games. and it failed 1 time. so AAAALLLLL the game like it died in one go.

imagine a star wars clix focused on tanks/walkers.
>>
>>50863420
>>50863891
Use this to your advantage. Other players will be more trusting of you if they think you can't betray them. I'm not familiar with the game, but is it possible to win without backstabbing so long as all the other players stab each other to death.

Alternatively, you could take the opposite route and declare exactly who you will be "back"stabbing well ahead of time just to fuck with people.

>"Hey Steve, I'm coming for your ass on turn 4"

>>50872251
IIRC there is one or two dinky plastic 'mountains'.

>>50874870
>>50875054
Isn't the TCG/CCG/LCG/Whatever market super-saturated as it is? MtG is the king of the hill, Pokémon is making a comeback, Yu-Gi-Oh is still around, so is Nethack. Hearthstone and clones are making waves on the digital front. Weiß Schwarz and Force of Will are floundering.
>>
Wow. Scythe fucking blows.
>>
>>50875494
>Other players will be more trusting of you if they think you can't betray them
Didn't work like that. They KNEW that I wouldn't betray them because I'm not like that. Result? I lost the game and I even got betrayed by one of the guys. I naively took an offer and I was pushed against my will despite me paying it.

Not only that but I cannot negotiate for shit.
>>
>>50875563
Why?
>>
>>50875823
It feels like solitaire. There's a very very limited windows in which it's effective or worthwhile to engage your opponent in combat. Being off doing your own thing is by far the best strat
>>
>>50828932
I just got Machi Koro.

It is really fun.

Do the expansions add anything to the game?
>>
>>50875875
It's been known for a while that Scythe is not a combat-oriented area control game.
>>
>>50875896
I don't mind that combat isn't a huge issue, but there is no other way to meaningfully interact with another player. There's no combat in agricola for example, but there is a lot of player interaction in placing your workers.
>>
>>50875912
>but there is no other way to meaningfully interact with another player.
Someone doesn't send workers through tunnels to cockblock their opponents.
>>
>>50875923
Doing that is far less effective than just doing your own thing. The best strat seems to be just playing solitare.

It has some good mechanics (I love the technology/upgrade system), but fuck it just feels so shit to play.
>>
>>50866762
I got my wife Theseus: The Dark Orbit, as Neuroshima Hex! was on of our first games way back when, and cemented our eagerness to destroy each other in 1v1 games. No interest of playing that game with more players.

Got my own games a couple weeks ago when I splurged a bunch and shared the spoils in /bgg/
>>
>>50843835
With the first response in mind, give them Betrayal at the House on the Hill and keep the other one for the minis.
>>
>>50863420
Have you tried any lighter deception games like Skull, Coup, Mascarade, or Sheriff of Nottingham? If those made you freeze up too then you probably just can't lie, if not then it probably is the backstabbing that you can't handle. You can probably work around it by intentionally playing the honest route, as well as asking for a reward upfront whenever someone wants to team up or something, with the expectation that you will get betrayed every time. Throw a backstab in there if you feel like getting your heart pumping.
>>
>>50876165
I haven't, and I moved from the city where my friends are. I haven't made any friends here either so my chances to play those games anytime soon is close to zero.

I can play a bit of deception, so long as it's stuff like feinting. Like, "I will hide this card from you and play it in the most unfortunate moment for you" because that's strategic, but outright backstabbing is where I cross my boundaries.

>You can probably work around it by intentionally playing the honest route
I know that I will lose in those sort of games.

>as well as asking for a reward upfront whenever someone wants to team up or something, with the expectation that you will get betrayed every time.
Oh. Why even bother then?

>Throw a backstab in there if you feel like getting your heart pumping.
If that means having an anxiety attack I think that I will pass.
>>
>>50866762
BSG, Eldritch Horror, Fairy Tale, Legendary Predator, Oceanos, RE: Alliance, RE: Outbreak and Shadows Over Camelot. Throwing them all in the dumpster because it is impossible to play anything good with my fucking group.

Merry Christmas.
>>
>>50873732
Are there any good alternatives to heroscape besides it?
>>
Sharing
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=04f7e7faf4142bab287bb1d50&id=980b18eb9a
Of course their website is crashed as hell at the moment, but keep an eye on it
>>
>>50876378
Seconding this
>>
>>50876309
Do it fgt.

Do it so I can go dumpster diving.
>>
What does /bgg/ think of this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/?snr=1_4_4__617
>>
>>50876655
I have it. I enjoy it. I wish that DLC games weren't a thing, but its a hugel ibrary for very little as it is.,
>>
>>50876526
Is disc dueler good enough to get?
>>
>>50876793
Considering all you pay is shipping, I'd say yes. Otherwise find a video review or read fathergeek
>>
>>50876309
Our playgroups are a reflection of ourselves.
They day I stopped being a cunt I got some real friends and have been able to hold a weekly games night ever since.
>>
File: pic1807124_md.png (270KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
pic1807124_md.png
270KB, 500x294px
Anyone play Xia Legend of a Drift System? It sounds amazing with the open world space adventure and ship customizing but what are your opinions?
>>
>>50876655
it's pretty fantastic. controls take a bit to get used to, but they make sense and work well. only the host needs to own the dlc, so it's not that bad desu

there are tons of games available for free. they're of varying quality, and quite a few have been pulled down.

here's a link to an archive with every mod as of about a year ago. you'll find lots of games that have been pulled like cosmic encounter and ticket to ride
http://www.mediafire.com/file/haeadb33cyhha62/AllWorkshopMods-v10_Dec.29.2015.7z

since files are hosted on other sites, you can run into problems of missing textures. it can sometimes be a hassle, but I've had pretty good experiences with it so far. well worth 10 bucks even if you just use it as another tool to look into a game before buying it.
>>
>>50877394
No game-curve. People just do things and then, well I'll be, someone won.
>>
>>50877591
Same kinda way Scythe does, or worse?
>>
>>50877645
>same kinda way scythe does
Scythe has an early game (everyone constrained mostly to their peninsulas), a mid game (mad scramble for territory and mechs) and a late game (abusing some combo they set up and trying to keep the opponent from doing likewise).
Xia is just ships going between planets for three hours.
>>
Would you say Dixit is a "must have"?
I don't see myself or my friends playing Dixit, but everyone has it and everyone says they got value out of it and that it works out in any group as an ice breaker.

I thought of ordering the cheap chinese knock off that costs something like 30$ for Dixit 1-7.
>>
>>50876526
Thanks for ruining my night, asshole.
>>
>>50878749
Why? did you buy it for full price?
>>50876526
I don't know if its worth the 24$ shipping to my hell hole or should I just send it to my cousin in the US and wait for her to come with it.
>>
>>50878823
>Why? did you buy it for full price?
Because now I'm tied here trying to get past the fucking DDoS'd pages.
>>
If you play on the edge lines (which is the case in go), you should be able to do 9x9, which is the standard small board size.
>>
>>50871002
unfortunately not, which is a real shame because it has triple the amount of cards compared to Warcults

>>50867582
I definitely prefer Flash Point over Pandemic as a light-weight co-op, hope you enjoy it

>>50868335
Pixel Tactics is really neat for the amount of game you can get an standalone set, the fact that each card has five different uses makes for a large variety in decision making

>>50868634
I want to get rid of my copy, it is remarkably inferior to every hex-and-counter skirmish game that I own, what everyone else has said is correct about lack of terrain variety

>>50878823
I don't have any dexterity games, so $24 shipping was worth it for me
>>
>>50880072
24 should be worth it. but my paypal is blocked
>>
>>50880072
>Don't have a dexterity game
Thing is, this isn't even a game.
Its just a couple of round tokens that they tell you to shoot at each other.

Just add a bit more onto those 24$ and get Ice Cool or Catacombs.
>>
>>50880187
mmm

so my idea for a space battle flick game still has a viable market?
>>
>>50877394
I'm waiting for the expansion to come out. Overall I like it, but the player vs player aspect for example is somewhat weak. (Weapons effectiveness could be bumped up a level for example when players engage in combat with each other.) Hopefully the expansion will smooth out some of the issues with the core game.
>>
File: Ascending Empires.jpg (406KB, 1016x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ascending Empires.jpg
406KB, 1016x1024px
>>50880198
>so my idea for a space battle flick game still has a viable market?

You might want to look up Ascending Empires by Z-Man Games...
>>
If I had to pick between Twilight Struggle and Memior 44, which would you suggest?
>>
File: Ascending Empires board.jpg (191KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ascending Empires board.jpg
191KB, 800x600px
>>50880754
I'm not saying the idea of space based flicking game wouldn't work - but it certainly wouldn't be the first one of its kind either.
>>
>>50880762
Those are two VERY different games. Which theme do you like better? WWII or the 'Cold War' era? Mechanics wise, I'd say Twilight Struggle is the better game but it's also strictly a 2 player only game.
>>
File: reddit.gif (403KB, 400x256px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.gif
403KB, 400x256px
>tfw introduced my family to splendor so we can stop playing pandemic
>>
>>50880956
I've been thinking getting splendor. How is it?
>>
>>50880764
kek nvm then

in my head i would use a rollable playmat with metal incorperated.

all the big ships would have magnets in them to make sure they cant move very far. same with some heavy guided missles.

the truly big ships would be made from different parts and actually would be measured movement instead of flicking, but each part is stuck to the playmat with a magnet and can be shot off from the main ship, and thus destroyed.

the metal sheet would also allow for some really different terrain each match, since you can just put it down somewhere with a magnet.
>>
>>50881250
So where would the flicking come in if the ships move a measured distance?
>>
>>50880072
>unfortunately not, which is a real shame because it has triple the amount of cards compared to Warcults
Did they give any reason they aren't going to reprint it?
>>
>>50881280
only the very very big ships. like capital size. would not be flicked. the big ships would just be slowed down a bit by small magnets
>>
What would be a good game for a family who are complete casuals when it comes to board games? I can play monopoly and clue only so many times
>>
>>50878697
No not a must have, it's fun and the art is wonderful, but it's also one of those games like Concept that's almost more activity than game. It's fine as a party game/icebreaker but the value changes based on your group makeup.

>>50881067
Pure distillation of engine/economy building, which makes it easy to teach and quick to play. Every meetup I've been to in the past year, there's at least one copy being played, every small (<2000 people) con I've been to, there's 3-4 boxes going continually.
>>
>>50881386
Dixit, Hanabi, and Blokus are all good intro games into the world of better board gaming.
>>
>>50881067
Easy to teach but with enough depth to not be braindead.

It's the carcasonne of engine building in a way.

Also the chips that represent gems are my new favourite component in any boardgame ever
>>
>>50881250
Magnets on metal terrain don't sound fun to flick. Magnets in the ships only sounds fun though, I can see the trajectories of missiles that miss targets by centimetres getting redirected to hit allied ships instead due to the magnet pull. You can do shenanigans like the missiles and ships having the same polarities to simulate shields too.
>>
>>50881752
>Magnets on metal terrain don't sound fun to flick.
I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be expected to flick the terrain. It would be obstacles that you would be expected to navigate / fight around.
>>
>>50881752
But magnetic monopoles don't exist. Every magnet will be divided in 2 and have both polarities. I'm not sure how you can make this work.
>>
>>50881766
>I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be expected to flick the terrain.
That's not what he said.
>>
>>50881865
Huh, I thought monopoles actually existed for some reason. Maybe imbed the magnets a certain way within the pieces? You could force same poles to stick together that way, and produce a similar effect.

Though even if you didn't do weird things to get a monopole, the magnetic field should still produce interesting effects even if you can't do invisible shields stuff.
>>
>>50866762
Got mage knight and twilight struggle from my normie family
Ordered myself vast: crystal caverns which hopefully ships before the end of feb
>>
>>50882029
The nature of how magnetic lines flow means there's always going to be a a dipole
>>
File: 155.gif (239KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
155.gif
239KB, 300x100px
>>50881882
>That's not what he said.
You're right! He didn't say anything at all about flicking the terrain. Therefore it MUST be a thing. Gud jerb Anon! Yer trez intellEgent!
>>
Why are most reviewers happy to suck off asmodee and defend their horrible business practices?

Do we have a rampant money problem? Also why do you sluppers give them money?

Toxic EA level company.
>>
>>50881752
the terrain would be easy to place since it just stick on the metal playmat

the big ships would have light magnets which would prevent them from moving very far,
>>
>>50882310
Honest question anon. Are you a retard?
>>
>>50881766
>>50882310
They guy you had responded to did not saying anything to indicate that he though you would be flicking the terrain. You are a complete moron.
>>
>>50882422
What horrible business practices?
>>
>>50883297
They are single handedly destroying small companies by sucking them in to the huge glob that's called Ass-modee and just cancelling everything but the 1 or 2 most successful games they make and milk it off with re-prints and expansions.

Other than that they are cool.
>>
>>50883529
>just cancelling everything but the 1 or 2 most successful games they make and milk it off with re-prints and expansions.
Such as?
>>
>>50877680
So not just a lack of player interaction but almost an entire absence of players influencing each other at all?
>>
>>50882422
Because most of the freakout is theoretical. They're a big company building up an empire of smaller companies. Scary but not directly evil in any of their practices so far. The worst they have done is raise online prices slightly.
>>
>>50883812
Go look at the beginning of the end for the videogame industry. Boardgaming is following the same garbage to a T because there's a spot-on roadmap to follow where it's been shown exactly what shit you can get away with and still have people gobble it up and come back to chuck money at you for seconds. "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it".
>>
>>50883968
Similarities to the video game industry:
Companies are merging...

RED ALERT! PANIC!!!!!!!
>>
>>50884207
I agree with him. It mirrors the major video game publishers forming and smothering the industry.
>>
>>50884280
Elaborate on it then. Whenever pressed for details, you have nothing. A company in Boardgames is getting big, nothing more has happened and you wasn't everyone to be up in arms with boycotts.
>>
>>50884331
>Whenever pressed for details, you have nothing.
That was my first reply to you. Are you going to actually argue honestly or are you going to spend this argument putting words in my mouth?
>>
>>50884367
I don't care who you are, just say something of substance rather than an emotional witch hunt. You can't say one thing marks the downfall of the industry.
>>
File: Asmodee North America.png (150KB, 674x743px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodee North America.png
150KB, 674x743px
>>50884331
>Whenever pressed for details, you have nothing.

How about the details in pic related? Or how about you get off your lazy ass and do some of your own research? The President of Asmodee N.A. basically told board gamers in a public release (which has been out for months on BGG and elsewhere) that said gamers should *ENJOY* paying more for 'luxury games' in general because it means they'll enjoy them more and take better care of them (apparently we're all unappreciative dicks who don't take good care of our own things - who knew?), as well as long trail of horse-shit about doing more to support local 'brick & mortar' game stores (which make a fairly slim profit margin compared to the manufacturer). It takes a special 'weapons grade' level of arrogance to suggest that we should all enjoy getting less value for money. But that's exactly the Games Workshop level of ass-hole "We're gunning for / got a virtual monopoly on a particular niche market and we're run up the prices until the market bottoms out and then move on" attitude we can expect from a company that is owned by Bankers and answers to stock holders rather than the gaming customers.
>>
>>50884603
>You can't say one thing marks the downfall of the industry.
I didn't say that. There you go putting words in my mouth again. If you can't argue honestly then just fuck off.
>>
>>50884663
They're not waiting for the bottom to fall out, they're trying to time the strongest point of the bubble and sell out to Hasbro
>>
>>50866762
Im just starting out but I got Ticket to Ride and Compounded for me and the fiance. Has anyone played compounded before? Thoughts?
>>
>>50885978
Haven't played it, but it's on my wishlist. I watched a couple videos and it looks like a game I'd enjoy occasionally.
>>
>>50885978
Never heard of it. How is it?
>>
>>50884331

>O assmodee please feed me some more of that delicious shit.

They price gouge online retailers just to bank more profit. They tell you that you should like it and bend over. They publish 100's of expansions for each game and charge a fortune for each, making it over 1k to complete a game. They buy out companies and then only sell the best sellers and dump the rest.

Horrible company but people keep slurping
>>
>>50886895
I dont know yet it looks fun and as a chemical engineer the science part tickles me silly but ill let you guys know once I play.
>>
File: pic1980675.jpg (2MB, 1200x1687px) Image search: [Google]
pic1980675.jpg
2MB, 1200x1687px
>>50866762
>>
Has anyone played Evolution? I played The Beginning and wondered if the full game is worth it.
>>
>>50887846
It's on TTS if you have that. Invite some players and play a game and find out.
>>
>>50887846
I own the previous edition and like it a ton, thinking about uprading to Evolution: climate and get the flight expansion.

I dunno how much game you got out of the Beginning, but you there are a lot of choices to be made in the full version. Do I want a lot of species that interact and buff each other? Do I go for one big resilient one? How will I feed my carnivores? A few people in my game group are very aggressive players, makes for a very tense game.
>>
Do you back games on ks that already have expansions at a pledge level?

I hope not.
>>
>>50888561
Don't know what you mean.
>>
>>50887846
I love it. It plays fast, and is fun with a small group or a large one.
>>
>>50888561
Means kickstarter projects for unreleased games often have expansions that you can get as addons at certain level pledges. Additional content not included in base game is soemtimes perceived as DLC, especially if the base game feels incomplete or flawed, so the expansions are practically mandatory. Or something
>>
>>50887362
was tempted to ask for this, but that cover man. I'll just pick it up myself :)

>>50866762
got tammany hall and pandemic the cure. super happy about it since tammany hall looks like it'll be difficult to get here soon. already shot up over $20 on amazon.

gave the ticket to ride europe expansion to my sister and her husband. had a tough time deicing between that, codenames pictures, and sushi go party.
>>
Anyone here plays Mage Wars Academy? I have a few questions.
>>
>>50881299
pretty much boils down to them being a small company and not having the resources to do a reprint while focusing on creating newer games

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21164522#21164522 designer explains in further detail
>>
File: codex.jpg (29KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
codex.jpg
29KB, 300x375px
Anyone got the CODEX print and play files? I would like to try it out before spending so much on a game I may not like.
>>
>>50871340
Why do people still play Catan? It feels so obsolete and dated.
>>
>>50889911
The people I play with are all competent at it and know what they're doing. That leads to each game being cut throat
>>
>>50889911
what other game does what catan does?
>>
>>50890101
What do you like about Catan specifically? It feels dated in that it pushed gaming forward but it still feels in that Monopoly range.
>>
>>50890101
Any modern euro game?
>>
>>50829646
Definitely my pick for best game 2016. I look forward to seeing where the game will go once the Mythos Packs get going.

I went a little overboard and got 4 cores, but I'll probably be supplying everything on my end for anyone I play with around here.

2 is perfect as far as having playsets of everything, also lets you keep each Scenario pre-assembled in the core campaign.

But when I tried to have 4 decks put together at once there was a lot of competition due to the dual-classes.

Agnes and Daisy both want a lot of the key Mystic cards. Same for Skids and Roland over Guardian. Etc.

I'm sure that problem will get better as more Investigators roll out.
>>
>>50884663
This huge article says only 2 things:
-Asmodee has a lot of companies under it now
-Online prices went up slightly

I mentioned online prices as the one thing they actually did do, which is NOT something that mirrored the videogame industry, so I don't really know what about this article supports your "BOARDGAMES ARE DOOMED TO BECOME AS SHITTY AS VIDEOGAMES" theory right now.
>>
I just bought hanabai, what card sleeves would be good to get for them?
>>
>>50890932
https://www.maydaygames.com/pages/sleeves-by-game

Even if mayday sleeves are shit, the tool is useful
>>
>>50890232
Planning on getting a second core set myself, and I also have two proxied sets for 4 players. Does being able to deckbuild improve your chances of winning any better though? Any tips for a group that hasn't been able to do well in Scenario 2 and 3 at all?
>>
>>50890191
>>50890218
Not answers to his question.
>>
>>50890990
There's actually an on-going thread on BGG that lists various games and the size / number of sleeves needed for all of the cards in a given game and the various companies that have sleeves to match. (Not that anyone actually looks in the pastebin...)

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Card_Sleeve_Reference

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/102880/item/2042318#item2042318
>>
>>50888213
The Beginning is just these traits: long neck, scavenger, carnivore, defensive horns, fat tissue, fertile, flight, nocturnal, burrow, and speed. Is the full game just more and more complex traits?

>>50888602
Yeah the game is fast and I like that the score is well hidden. We do run out of food tokens a lot though.
>>
>>50890101
From a kind Anon of threads gone by...

In the style of Scott Nicholson's video on Monopoly (another game that must be good because it's old and popular), I will recommend games that people would enjoy if they like certain aspects of Catan.
(video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnXloqRfdA) [Embed]

Now, as I do not like certain aspects of Catan and I'm only listing games I have played, my suggestions may be hazier in those areas. But I am still 100% certain that everyone can find a more enjoyable game than Catan. I will not describe each game in detail, as an exhaustive list of games better than Catan would stretch until it reaches the sun.

If you like dice rolling that decides what actions you can do or gives you resources:
- The Castles of Burgundy
- Stone Age
- Troyes
- Macao
- King of Tokyo
- Bora Bora
- Seasons
- Takenoko

If you like a variable board that changes every game:
- Dominant Species
- Mage Knight
- Sid Meier's Civilization
- Antiquity
- Targi
- Archipelago

If you like building a connected network:
- Terra Mystica
- Power Grid
- Brass
- Keyflower
- Hansa Teutonica
- Ticket to Ride
- Roads and Boats
- Trains
- Thurn and Taxis
- Myrmes
- Vegas Showdown
- Hacienda
- The Great Zimbabwe
- Many, many train games.

If you like trading/negotation:
- Civilization
- Twilight Imperium
- Archipelago
- Diplomacy
- Bohnanza
- Santiago (bonus category: If you like being a dick...)
- Werewolf, Two Rooms and a Boom, The Resistance, or any other social deduction game
>>
>>50891705
Add 7 Wonders to this.

Damn, Catan is just not a very good game.
>>
>>50890913
Article touches on a few things.
Add to that
Boardgame equivalent of DLC
Less for more
Increasing abundance of lowest common denominator genre
Paid reviewer shills

and then of course we can't ever escape from the shit that is modern vidyagames, now we have to shove mobile idiotbox integration directly into the game too, so you can drool over the screen and slap at it like a lobotomised monkey.
>>
>>50892368
>Article touches on a few things.
I wouldn't bother - the Anon you're replying to and 'reading comprehension' apparently aren't familiar with one another.
>>
>>50892368
Stop making wild accusations and give examples already. I don't want your tinfoil hat, I want you to point out evidence.

The only thing on your list that article mentions anything about is Mansions of Madness to the "less for more" argument. I'll give you that you can say there's less in the box on a raw physical content level, but that would be ignoring the fact that the app removed the need for the GM's tokens and replaces the card combat. All that's left is the shitty argument that the app shouldn't add anything to the cost, which is bullshit.
>>
>>50890932
hanabi has standard sized cards
>>
>>50892863
>Stop making wild accusations and give examples already.
No.
Ultimately I don't very much care whether you believe me or not. Go do your own legwork and connect the dots yourself or just fuck off. Either way it doesn't matter to me or the outcome of the bastardisation of my hobby.
>>
File: 1420960185899.png (202KB, 472x448px) Image search: [Google]
1420960185899.png
202KB, 472x448px
>>50893230
Burden of proof is with you. If you can't back up a single claim you have, then maybe it's time to stop making claims.
>>
>>50893256
>maybe it's time to stop making claims.
No.
>>
>>50893256
>internet police
>>
File: 5d-tinfoil-hat-[1].jpg (10KB, 186x205px) Image search: [Google]
5d-tinfoil-hat-[1].jpg
10KB, 186x205px
>>50893263
>>
Is Bright Lights, Big City worth it if I already have Machi Koro plus the two expansions?

It seems to be sort of a new core set, containing parts of all the previous expansions plus a couple of new cards, refined into a new package. It's shitty that they're doing this since there's so little new content, but Machi Koro + expansions feels a little bloated and the promise of a more cut-down version with only the best of the best sounds tempting.

Also worth noting that I can probably get a copy for like $15 or less.
>>
What can I do with unwanted games, /bgg/?

I have the core set of Doomtown Reloaded, played a few games but it never really clicked with me or my group. I feel bad with it sitting unplayed on my shelf, especially since it's an LCG-like game where some people out there might really want it just for multiples of the core set cards.

Is Ebay/some other online auction a good option, or should I bite the bullet and hold onto the game?
>>
File: Santorini-Board[1].jpg (188KB, 1476x1135px) Image search: [Google]
Santorini-Board[1].jpg
188KB, 1476x1135px
Anyone know when this beauty is going to be in stores? I didn't back the kickstarter, so I'm just waiting for online or retail.
>>
>>50893671
Math trading is an option, though with Doomtown discontinued I'm not sure how likely people would want it.
>>
Anyone here has some experience with Bookdepository when they are restocking FFG items?

I want to buy Descent / Cosmic Incursion of them and both items are now "on the boat" in the FFG upcoming section.

Does anyone know how long it takes for stuff that are in stores to hit book depo?
>>
>>50883529
Still better than 99,99% of tg-related shitstarter stuff, to be honest.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.