[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 444
Thread images: 36

File: despair.png (1MB, 1606x1640px) Image search: [Google]
despair.png
1MB, 1606x1640px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/
Previous thread: >>50808289

"tfw no alchemist class" edition.
Do you allow homebrew at your table? What are your experiences with homebrew in 5e?
>>
How do you play Strahd effectively? My level 8 party nearly kicked his ass, and this will not do. They don't even have the sun sword yet. To be fair, he didn't use most of his spellslots, but they still did unexpectedly well.
>>
>>50819768
Always set up strahd to have the upper hand. Throw the heroes in a pit, cover the area in bats, give ways to get the jump on them. A good way I found to prolong his life is really spamming his transform to a bat form so he can hide away a few rounds and regen, then fling a fireball. Send some vampire spawns to grapple everyone, nothing scares the shit outta the party more than getting blood sucked.
Also remember to account for that secret weapon he has in the tower in ravenloft
>>
File: 1461318117229.png (429KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
1461318117229.png
429KB, 640x544px
>>50819763
>Do you allow homebrew at your table? What are your experiences with homebrew in 5e?

Fuck no. In my experience, Homebrew is universally awful. It's kinda like that whole thing where 95% of people think they're smarter than the average person... except in this case it's 100% of Homebrewers thinking their Homebrew isn't unbalanced, out of place, weeaboo, or just plain shit when 99% of it is. Kinda like how That Guys never realize they're That Guy.
>>
>>50819768
Don't get stuck in, be mean with his powers, call other monsters, phase through the walls to escape and heal, scry them so you can attack when they're weak, charm losers and put them in the way, or get them to throw their weapons off the walls, suck their blood, don't let them sleep, take their stuff, kill their friends, get them lost in the mist, raise strahd zombies from a recently defeated encounter, etc
>>
>>50819763
I'll homebrew my own stuff, but I think it's rare for DM to not make up at least something custom.

In terms of -other- people's homebrew, I've actually never had it proposed,but I'd likely turn it down unless it was something like one of the top ones from dmsguild.
>>
File: 1467859441688.png (194KB, 575x558px) Image search: [Google]
1467859441688.png
194KB, 575x558px
>>50819763
Speaking of Alchemist, are there any good Alchemist homebrew classes for 5E right now?
>>
>>50819817
>>50819898
Didn't you know? All homebrew ever is shit.
>>
Is there a list of which Psionic Disciplines are worth taking?
>>
>>50819763
So planning to join a game of Curse of Strahd and first time playing d&d after lurking for a year.

I intend to play a Variant Human Sun Monk with the Ritual Magic (Druid or Cleric) feat for utility and to relieve our caster an Abjurer wizards from having to spend slots all day for trivial things.

Stat spread is a standard array with the +2 used to patch up the negative mod.

12 Str
16 Dex
13 Con
15 Wis
10 Int
10 Cha

Skill proficiency in:
Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, Medicine.

Tool proficiency:
Herbalist kit, Healers kit.

Backstory is:
Second son/heir to a merchant house who decided to live as a hermit while training in his schools arts, leaving the merchant house to his brother.
Got drawn into a portal during an acident while transporting goods to a court wizard on his brothers behalf.
>>
>>50819950
yeah here let me type it out for you.

1. Psion is broken
2. It literally doesn't matter which you choose.
>>
>>50819763
>homebrew

eh, yeah i actually do. I usually have to tweak it from being complete shit, but the players get to play what they want and it keeps me on my toes. I seriously dont understand the hate that homebrews get considering something like 98% of all games have houserules anyway, but whatever.
>>
>>50819898
Play a transmuter wizard and use Catapult (from elemental evil) to fling vials of acid or alchemists fire.
Use mage hand when you don't have spell slots.
>>
>>50819963
You could have 14 Wis and Con, that seems better to me unless you're taking Observant at 4 or something.
>>
What options, other than negotiating with his DM to become a stitcher, do Necromancers have for creating abominations and other fancy, non-basic undead?
>>
>>50819977
Honestly, it's not as if professional game designers don't come up with some of the most astoundingly stupid shit. I've seen plenty of bad homebrew, atrocious even, but amateurs are capable of making better design decisions than professionals. Remember, how many years did it take for Ranger to not completely suck ass?
>>
>>50820010
Become a serial killer and start killing people. Some of them are sure to rise as revenants.
>>
Does your character have a cool personal quest you will eventually get to do?

What's its scale an what do you need to do?
>>
>>50820039
>Does your character have a cool personal quest you will eventually get to do?

No. Not every party member needs this forced shit too
>>
>>50820039
> Does your character have a cool personal quest
Yes.
> you will eventually get to do
No. My DM is only interested in his plot.
>>
>>50819763
Alchemist 5E homebrew, what do you guys think of this one? I have another Alchemist after this one, so we can compare the two.
>>
File: Alchemist.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Alchemist.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50820075
Forgot to post pdf
>>
Looking for some more feedback on a port of the Duskblade class from 3.5 to 5th edition. Let me know what you think, improvements to be made, balance adjustments, etc.
>>
File: Bishop.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>50820075
What homebrew, anon?
>>
File: Alchemist 2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Alchemist 2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50820075
>>50820084
Here's the second pdf.
>>
>>50820028
Yeah it's the reason I don't hesitate to houserule buffs and nerfs to classes, sure they are all tier 2-3 or whatever but they are not that well balanced. Sorcerer is weak, Berserker, Champion and Wot4E are still terrible archetypes and then you have splats with PDK, Battlerager etc.
>>
About pally's Divine Sense:
>Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover.
So it's only useful when they're already close enough that they'll probably be attacking you already. And limiting the scan to total cover makes it even worse, so you can't even sense what's in the next room, or if there's undead inside that sarcophagus. How do you use it then?
>>
>>50820229
Spot disguised devils.
>>
>>50820229
I always saw it as more for discerning creatures that are invisible or in disguise, which fiends and celestials are big fans of. And even some undead, when vampires and liches are involved.

This is in contrast to the ranger's Primeval Awareness, which is for tracking down and locating creatures over long distances, but can't spot the exact location (only general).
>>
>>50820244
Too bad that every DM will pull the "They have a special, uh, magic item that prevents them from being scanned" card.
>>
>>50820253
Have a bit more faith in your DM, homeslice
>>
File: KALPHITE QUEEN.png (227KB, 760x440px) Image search: [Google]
KALPHITE QUEEN.png
227KB, 760x440px
>>50819763
Yeah sure, why not add some homebrew? Playing straight out of the book is fun for a few campaigns before you start to learn monster blocks and shit.

Why not restat monsters and character archetypes? As long as it meshes with the world I am creating, I don't really mind what my PCs do.

If they want an anime moe piece of shit in the game, no, there are no moe anime girls in this universe. If they want to be, like, a Tauren? Sure, I could probably make something like that happen. Not too far fetched.
>>
>>50820253
Fuck that, just say they are fey spirits or something, the ability is quite limited and works only on an handful of critters anyway.
>>
Quick question: how does one destroy magical items in 5th Edition?
Rust monsters and oozes are out of the equation thanks to the fact that they only affect "nonmagical" items... So how do I relieve the party of their two elven chains....
>>
>>50820364
Shatter and Disintegrate are the two simplest options, I believe.

But elven chain isn't even that OP compared to other stuff in the DMG.
>>
>>50820440
I thought Disintegrate didn't effect magical items.
>>
>>50820440
No, but with two of em in the party, it basically means both the two casters, the bard and the warlock, both manage an AC of 16.

Also, neither Shatter nor Disintegrate seem to affect magical items. They, too, only affect "nonmagical" items.
>>
>>50820364
Throw them in lava or acid, maybe?
>>
What would a high con, low strength character look like?
>>
>>50820505
FUCKING PHAT
>>
>>50820505
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFnANb8y30
Like this.
>>
>>50820505
Long distance runners and ballerinas are what I'd describe as (relatively) low strength, high constitution IRL.
>>
>If the target can see the mummy, it must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or become frightened until the end of the mummy's next turn. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it is also paralyzed for the same duration.

Dumb question, but does that mean if they get paralyzed if roll 6 or lower or if they roll 5 or lower?
>>
>>50820505
>>50820517
>>50820542
FUCKING PHAT Ballerinas
>>
>>50820545
6 and lower.
>>
Is there a catfolk race in 5e?
>>
>>50820545
10 is fail by 1, 9 is 2, 8 is 3, 7 is 4 and 6 is fail by 5. So six or lower.
>>
>>50820573
Yes, tabaxi are in Volo's Guide to Monsters. They are sanic speed gotta go fast cheese race.
>>
>>50820075
Found this alchemist.
Dunno how balanced it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3iepHSsCJzuUWNuSzIwWVdmb00/view
>>
New Player here. This is not really important because I am DM, but how is Eldrich Knight this edition?
>>
>>50820600
either go figher either go mage
>>
>>50820505
A real-world lumberjack.
A body ready to sleep all night and work all day, but doesn't need to be particularly strong, the power tools will do the hard work.

You wouldn't recognize him from an hipster, they'd look the same. The only differences are that one would drop dead after a day of hard work, the other puts on women's clothing. Both hang around in bars.
>>
>>50820600
It's a fighter who occasionally casts spells to be a better fighter, not a anime protagonist who wields a sword and throws fireballs. That would be bladesinger.
>>
>>50820600
It's a baseline fighter, that can cast
>a Concentration based buff (common choices: Blur, Haste)
>Shield every once in a while
Compared to other fighters, stronger on defense, but weaker on the offense. Often grabs an area spell or 2 to deal with massed hordes, but has too few slots to spam them.
>>
>>50820600
EK is fuckin rad
>>
So, my brother's been wanting to get into 5E for a while but has problems with two things: keeping to a regular game schedule and finding a group to game.

So for Christmas I'm gifting him with a nice little solo player session. It's coming along nicely but I'm having problems figuring out a good method of balancing the encounters.
He'd be 3rd level but has not told me what class.

Any tips?
>>
>>50820723
Ask him for the class.
>>
>>50819763
I just follow Baker's guidelines for cooking up an artificer, and fluff it as alchemy for any loser NPC that needs to be an "alchemist"
>>
>>50820364
>seeking to purloin party valuables out of spite

Slay thyself, knave
>>
>>50820783
Less spite and more balancing out my own Monty Haul-ish mistakes.

Really only getting rid of one would suffice.
If this was really out of spite I'd just have a big-ass powerful chromatic dragon swoop down and demand all their gold and platinum coinage as well as all their magic items in exchange for their continued existence.
>>
>>50820795
It's just elven chain, a +1 to AC. Slow down with the magic items for a while, it will be ok.
>>
>>50820835
+1 to AC and can be worn by anyone regardless of armor proficiency. So Warlocks and Bards and Wizards and Sorcerers can wear em and still spam their spells.
>>
>>50820847
Still not something I'd call broken to the point where I'd want it taken from the party. If it really upsets you, give the monsters a secret +1 to hit to compensate, at least then your players won't know you're undercutting them.
>>
How would you add horror elements into the game?
>>
>>50820888
Some undead, some evil unnatural things... and plenty, and I do mean plenty, of atmosphere.

Horror already exists in D&D. It's just a matter of using it.
>>
>>50820888
Anti-magic stuff works very nicely for scary games. Nothing scares a player like their magic gizmos suddenly not working properly.
>>
>>50820847
It's 14+Dex, compare it to the 13+Dex of Mage Armor, consider it has a cap... it's not particularly impressive.
>>
>>50820934
I don't think I've ever seen someone cast mage armor. I think since the magic-users tend to stay behind the martials and the healers, they just don't find it worth wasting the spell slot.

I'm fine with the bard having it. She had decent dex anyway so it's basically a 1 point difference between studded leather and elven chain.
The Warlock, however, has a 14 dex, so this is basically the best armor he can have, and now he doesn't have to bother putting ASI into dex to boost it further if he wants to be hit less.
>>
>>50820911
This seems a bit odd in 5e where magic items are entirely optional.
>>
>>50821034
Well it obviously requires them having access to magic in the first place. Worst case, you'll scare the shit out of your arcane casters the first time they try to use fly or feather fall.
>>
>>50820972
>they just don't find it worth wasting the spell slot.
Then your armor is giving them the equivalent of a 1st level buff they couldn't be bothered to cast.
>The Warlock, however, has a 14 dex, so this is basically the best armor he can have, and now he doesn't have to bother putting ASI into dex to boost it further if he wants to be hit less.
He made a character building mistake, a Warlock should have higher Dex. The Elven Chain lets you correct his mistake, that's good for the game!
>>
>>50820972
What have the warlock done to not deserve having nice things? The class is not even that good mechanically.
>>
>>50821053
It's how the dice came down. The +2 to dex is his second highest stat bonus alongside intelligence.
>>
>https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

This site is fucking amazing, holy shit.
>>
>>50821068
That's the point of the class, isn't it?
He had a nice, shiny bit of a soul, took it to the market and what he got for it? Unlimited cosmic powers?
Nope. A blast that isn't much better than what a trained archer can let fly, and a freaking imp to keep tabs on his ass.
>>
How did you play Strahd and how did he go against the players?
>>
>>50821088
>Rolls dice for stats
>Complains about game balance
Consider the chainmail a fix for the lower-than-normal dex, seriously.
>>
>>50821068
The character hasn't done much, but the player has a tendency to get salty when things get difficult (not even deadly!) for the party.

>>50821097
Well this one's Undying Light so he does well with fire spells. In fact he doesn't even have EB, he uses Fire Bolt and Sacred Flame more.
Also, tomelock.
>>
File: garfielf.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
garfielf.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
So I've been reading through Volo's guide to monsters and are all Bugbears just Garfield now?
>>
>>50819768
Strahd isn't strong if you let PC fight him on. He use guile and trickery, weaken the PC first, kidnapped or separate the party member etc.
>>
I'm about to be lore bard 4 and I was thinking of multiclassing into Paladin after. Would work flavor wise really well

Any way to do this with 8str 16dex 16cha?(about to be 18)
>>
>>50821148
>In fact he doesn't even have EB, he uses Fire Bolt and Sacred Flame more.

Those still do less damage than EB with +CHA, especially with Hex on. They are also often resisted.
>>
>>50821225
Multiclassing into Paladin literally requires 13 Str, so no.
>>
>>50821236
I'm sure I could buy an item to boost strength, DM is kind
>>
Does an archetype get class features in addition to the base features of its base class?
In addition to or on top of the class features it would normally get.
>>
>>50821242
Yes. What kind of a question is that?
>>
>>50821239
If he's kind, you could ask to ignore the prereq.
There's no real reason, other than to remove potential bad choices, to keep them.
>>
File: Don't get sick.jpg (19KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
Don't get sick.jpg
19KB, 500x719px
>>50820084
/tg/, my DM just allowed this in his game. Since I know shit about game balance, I need to ask you this - is it powerful? Is it good?
>>
>>50821262
A pathfag question. Pathfinder "archetypes" are packages of class features you take as an alternative to those of the base class.

>>50821242
In addition to, this isn't pathfinder.
>>
>>50820888
>>50820911
Shit, I remember watching a session where the party fought a couple of major villains with ties to Vecna, they were trying to summon him or something like that. At the end the party killed them, but a permanent Antimagic zone was established and, most importantly, one of the PCs was dying. You could see the panic in the players' faces as they tried to use healing spells and potions, Wild Shape to carry them out, all to no avail. They were so dependent on it they even forgot they could try to Stabilize with a medicine check.
>>
>>50821309
Seems OP at higher levels, if you don't track every little detail. Because the Bombs don't use spell slots, you theoretically can make/use infinite per day and they are basically cantrips. Their progression is faster than caster cantrips, and only fighters on an action surge turn are going to do similar damage when you are in the 6d10 range.
>>
Has any DM have any experience in turning Darkvision against the players? I'm looking to do the old 'Turn strengths into weakness' trope for an upcoming game
>>
>>50820564
>>50820574
Thanks. On a similar note, how would you fluff getting cursed with mummy rot? I mean, if a player fails the saving throw, how would you describe what they feel?

>The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 10 (3d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit point maximum to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust.
>>
>>50821479
Imagine every part of your body slowly drying up, if you were suddenly always thirsty, and no matter how much you drink it never goes away. I'd go so far as to say it makes your skin feel like sand. Obviously, you're not going to look too great, so describe the withering to people with particularly vain characters, or if it advances too far anyone can tell.
>>
>>50821465
Other than fire Genasi, darkvision is all black and white, so I have two words for you:

Gray Ooze
>>
So I have a player wanting to run a Warlock Gnome but his patron is going to be from the LN realm Mechanus. (Hopefully spelled that right) any ideas on how to run a mechanically focused Warlock?
>>
>>50821632
what pact?
>>
>>50821287
It is supposed to also be so you can't dip for features without having the thing you should have to get the class (e.g. action surge when you have 8s in dex/str) but they're fairly low and dex/wis are common ones and so good that basically any character should have them at 12+.
>>
>>50821508
That sounds exactly right! I'm going to be running my party through the lair of a mummy lord, so I expect one of them might be cursed at some point. Interestingly, none of them have Remove Curse, but they're level 8 and the paladin will be able to prepare it once they level up, so I'm hoping I can use that for dramatic effect.
>>
>>50821445
IDK, even with the Mad Bomber thing to bomb for 6d12+Int (avg. 44), it's on the level of an Agonizing EB: 4d10+4*Cha (avg.42).
The Warlock could Hex for an extra 4d6, the Alchemist could Grenadier to get a weapon attack on top of the bomb, it should be pretty well balanced.
Just remember to give the Alchemist something to make magical +3 bombs if the party enchants weapons, if you don't that -3 to hit will keep him behind.
>>
>>50821664
He hasn't picked as the Demon, Great Old One, and Archfey aren't very mechanically inclined.
>>
>>50821707
reflavor, hard. cant offer specific advice without more info.
>>
>>50821632
No, blade pact, chain pact, or tome pact!
>>
>>50821632
Assuming he's going rock gnome, have him flavor all of his spells as mechanical doodads and whatsits, complete with mechanical names.

If you're asking how that patron should work as a homebrew option, just about anything works for the spell list. 1st level feature could be some kind of armor plating that protects you for a round, refreshing on short/long rests.

In fact, flavor all of his spells as volatile mechanical contraptions that he has to spend time fixing up during a short rest before he can use them again
>>
>>50821684
Is it such a big deal if a player dips for features? Levels are a finite and precious thing, dip and lose the potential for high level features.
To me it looks like a failsafe measure so you can't fuck your character up.
>>
File: Im retarded.webm (440KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Im retarded.webm
440KB, 320x240px
Had an idea for a homebrew Sorc origin based entirely on reactions. How fucking broken are the following ideas if everything requires a CHA check vs the spell's DC to work:

-Absorb elements, slightly improved, at will
-Being able to apply metamagic to other people's spells (except quickened)
-Being able to copy a spell someone used near you and store it with concentration (probably needs level/class restrictions, not sure what)
-A counterspell ability if a spell explicitly targets you (limited uses)
-An upgrade to that counterspell which lets you reflect the spell

I'll check back later if anyone has thoughts.
>>
>>50821726
My apologies. Just got off a 17 hour shift. I dont believe he's picked but knowing him he might use the pact of the tome
>>
>>50821445
It's not much more than EB, and the damage type is worse unless you change die to d8 (which does let you get top tier radiant, psychic and thunder). Just reading the Bombs section I'm not a fan of it (also half the bomb modifications are literally just changing damage type) but the damage alone doesn't make it OP.
>>
File: FireSword.jpg (22KB, 300x433px) Image search: [Google]
FireSword.jpg
22KB, 300x433px
>>50819763
question about the 2nd level spell flame blade.

Would the druid have proficiency with the weapon?

If the Druid was an elf would she have proficiency with the weapon?

Should the blade attack get str/dex etc bonus to attack?

Could the blade be made a Rapier (dex) if that was the players thing?
>>
File: 1365067800399.jpg (99KB, 692x647px) Image search: [Google]
1365067800399.jpg
99KB, 692x647px
How do we balance the Mystic?

Can we balance the Mystic before Christmas?
>>
>>50821849
It's an attack you idiot. You make an attack against a creature within 5 ft. (which has its own rules, uses your weapon and proficiencies and whatnot) and then there are extra effects according to the spell's description.
>>
>>50821849
You make a melee spell attack with it, therefore there is no need for proficiency with any martial weapon. You apply your proficiency bonus + your spellcasting ability (Wisdom if you are druid) and that's it.

It totally could be a rapier or even a melee-only crossbow if you so wish, but that might depend on if your DM is a fuckboy.

You don't get any bonus to damage, otherwise it would be written on the spell description.
>>
>>50821849
Yes.
It doesn't matter.
No.
Whatever.

>You can use your action to make a melee spell attack with the fiery blade.
It's a melee spell attack, so Wis + prof. Damage is 3d6 fire, no modifier added.
>>
>>50821849
It's a melee spell attack, it follows its rules, always uses proficency.
Don't think about the 'blade', that's just a visual effect. Think about it as the druid sprouting a third arm made of flame (that conveniently deals 3d6 damage) and punching people with that.
>>
>>50821941
Everytime I read the spell I read 'make melee attack'. Just read it again and 'make melee spell attack' jumped out at me this time.
>>
>>50820010
Find or craft a flesh golem manual
>>
>>50819763
>Do you allow homebrew at your table? What are your experiences with homebrew in 5e?

I gave my players options with combat. Small manouvers, if you would.

I found opposing rolls really helped the tank of our group to shine compared to the great weapon barbarian shitting out tons of damage and the rogue that could do literally anything.

I gave the option for a "challenge" system, where our standard Fighter was able to issue a challenge/taunt to a monster or enemy, which worked similar to intimidate. If successful, and if the enemy was intelligent, the enemy would focus the fighter for however many rounds until the round timer expired or one of them was unconscious.

And opposing rolls as a quick action (or swift action I think) once per round for him to block attacks with his shield worked pretty good. made him pretty strong in a 1 on 1 fight, but he folded quickly to extra monsters as he'd lose his shield AC bonus if he did it.
>>
>>50821720
> Undying
> Change Among the Dead to affect constructs and the cantrip to Mending
> Change spell list to the following;

1st. Searing Smite, Shield
2nd. Heat Metal, Magic Weapon
3rd. Elemental Weapon, Protection from Energy
4th. Fabricate, Wall of Fire
5th. Animate Objects, Creation

I did just take that spell list from the Forge Domain Cleric UA, so it probably needs some tweaking to better suit a Warlock, but it's acceptable. Treat the other Undying pact features as the individual's body becoming more mechanical and inhuman rather than undead and you have a very roughly patched together mechanical patron.
>>
>>50821777
Yeah, that's the easiest one to plan for, I think.
I was looking at what having a modron familiar would be like, for chain, but I think 120ft truesight is too much at level one.

As a first level bonus, I'd give something like 'mending' as a warlock cantrip, "advantage on saving throws versus being charmed", similar to the Axiomatic Mind ability of the Modrons. (sucks for elves who already get this), and maybe an ability to sense illusions or enchantments when handling/ investigating objects, like a weak truesight. (though warlocks can get a free detect magic, so this needs more work, probably)

As far as expanded spell options go, I'd probably pick something like this
1st: Command, Magic Missile
2nd: Calm Emotions, Silence
3rd: Clairvoyance, Melf's Minute Meteors (Elemental Evil)
4th: Dominate Beast, Divination
5th: Dominate Person, Animate Objects
>>
>>50821777
Here is the thing about mechanus. Stuff there doesnt give shit about you. Everything follows exact orders of the higher ups and all follow Primus. A warlock would not made a packt with real that is one giant bureaucracy machine.
Use the Great Old One if is Packt of The Tome. The little gnome got his power by figuring the sacred mathematics of the mechancus and thus being able to draw and affect this world by using this otherwordly formulas.
>>
>>50822088
>>50822237
Perhaps a variant of Conjure Animals that lets him summon modrons?
>>
>>50819950
Celerity
Conquering Mind
Iron Durability
Mind Vault
Psionic Restoration
Psionic Weapon
>>
What classes are the most stat dependent? Which are the least?
>>
>>50817407
>stepping on the pugilist's toes

The pugilist is a shitty barbarian with a few monk-like features. They're not a monk.

The monk is a stun rocket, completely different yet kind of similar. Much more squishy, but stuns.
>>
>>50822544
Monk is most ability dependent.
Paladin is most multiple ability dependent.

Moon Druid is least ability dependent.
Fighter is ability dependent, but still works with bad stats due to extra ASIs.
Barbarian-rogue (and to a lesser extent, barbarian and rogue) and Cleric are able to work fine without awfully great skills. Rogue in particular.

Of course, there are a few other odd multiclasses that are still good, just as a dwarfly wizard or armor of agathys wizard. But we're getting into more complicated territory here.
>>
>>50820039
My DM sets up a number of background event hooks before the campaign and every party member has to take one. I think this idea kind of developed out of the PotA guide, but I'm not sure. These are in addition to whatever character background and history the player decides themselves. All of these tie back into the main campaign somehow and seem to involve a personal quest or storyline, but the whole party participates.

In PotA, I played a dishonored Dwarf searching for knowledge of his ancestors' legendary deeds to bring honor back to his clan, and took a background hook involving a strange map. He believed the map would lead him to an old dwarven hold where the aforementioned knowledge might be found. Turns out the map was the key to revealing and opening cult hideout doors, and also helped us discover a burial chamber of the last Dwarfking of Besilmer and his kingly rod, which was used to control dwarven constructs. So my character was figured to be some (distant) descendent of the ruling clan of Besilmer and able to use the rod and the party's deeds in the region to attract more dwarves to the area to help the party on their quest and rebuild a riverside keep we jacked from the cult.

In SKT, the background hooks we're using now are way more developed and integrated so far. Mine is a friendship with a dwarven hunter named Gren Steelfoot who's basically the Steve Irwin of giants, and he called me up to the area for some help with the unrest there. The party was going to Nightstone for a variety of reasons, but we all got sucked into the Gren plot because A) everyone loves dwarves and B) we saw him get kidnapped by Iymlerith in front of our eyes. We successfully hid his magical chest from the dragon cult and carted it around for several sessions while tracking down clues to his whereabouts, which has been the main impetus for going from town to town (and not "giants are attacking").
>>
>>50822751
We broke into his house in Waterdeep (after my stonemason teamed up with the Guidance Cleric and Diviner Wizard's portents to chisel a stone key out of a cobblestone), nearly killed ourselves on his traps, and found his double-secret sub-basement where we got a cool shield that halves damage from giants on a reaction. It has more properties but is in disrepair, so we left it with some NPC wizard in Silverymoon to get patched up. Then we hit another one of his lodges outside Mythril Hall and finally found a key to the chest we've been lugging around. Inside was a note from Gren talking about THE SECRET he discovered about the history of giants (and dwarves) and how it's the KEY TO EVERYTHING, and another page filled with said secret. But any time the party reads the secret, they immediately forget it. They can say the words out loud, write them down, write down every other or third word, even translate into different languages or pictographs, but reading or holding the knowledge in your head to the point that it begins to be comprehendable immediately causes everyone to forget. So that's spooky.

Our Wizard is a detective and author of crime fiction, and he has a mysterious benefactor (who I'm pretty sure is Renwick Carradoon, the lich-brother of the Knights of Samular founder from PotA) who sends him cryptic instructions from time to time. While in Waterdeep, he received some rocks in a pouch from a flying raven, along with a note to purchase some items from around the town, then ascend to the top of the temple on a certain day and perform a ritual. He and the Storm Cleric went up and did that, got zapped by lightning a lot until they nearly died, and came back down with two pearls of power. The benefactor also gave him a book about the life and times of Congenio Ioun (the guy who invented ioun stones) but we don't know what's up with that.
>>
Is it considered "edgy" to use the new evil-ish Paladin archetypes ? I've been workshoping a new character for some time now, a saint-looking Paladin clad in white that's all about inspiring hope and unity in people of the "good" races.

And they do that by rallying them against common enemies they hate and deem evil or ugly, and inciting intolerance against them and organizing small "crusades" to wipe them out. Lynch that half-orc if he's not all about humanity, high five that noble elf as you stomp goblin children etc. The shortest route to world peace and happiness is to wipe out those who would visit harm upon those they see as good and this is not some plot, he or she would believe in it unironically. My only problem with this was that it was really hard to bend the original oaths to this world view, but the Oath of Trechery could work as long as I keep it flashy enough.
>>
>>50822825
Wouldn't be edgy, you'd just be jumping the gun a lot and murdering a ton of folks. Why doesn't vengeance fit though? Just decide you're getting vengeance on all enemies of mankind.
>>
>>50822825
Isn't killing Evil beings with extreme prejudice SOP for paladins?
>>
>>50822825
That's oddly more good than some dwarfs considering it has any tolerance for elves at all. But then again, don't forget elves are chaotic loner bastards.

As long as the paladin isn't too intelligent they wouldn't realize some of the problems with conquest of such a nature.

It's not really edgy. Conquest paladins aren't really edgy if you're doing them properly. Treachery paladins can be edgy if you don't make them enough of an anti-hero, but a proper anti-hero layout can make them a great character (Heck, an oathbreaker could even be chaotic good, and they were just never great at rules and they're somewhat pitiable)

Just don't overdo them and make them stone-cold. Even after a lot of paladin training, it'd be good to give them just a hint of emotion to stomping bad shit.
>>
>>50822814
Wizard is also entangled with some kind of rivalry with another author whose books actually suck but are mysteriously popular. We bumped into her again in Silverymoon and the stealthy guys shadowed her and some other people, and found that she was casting charm spells on the local important people during a vote to stay or leave the Lord's Alliance (she was trying to get them to leave). That got foiled, she was chased a bit, Mazed our Warlock (who promptly freaked out because holy shit we're only level 6, we can't tango with this bitch) and later discovered she's in league with the Cult of the Dragon, too.

Our Storm Cleric is a human who started hearing the voice of Stronmaus (maybe) in his head one day and is something of a religious idiot-savant. He doesn't know what he's doing, so he's travelling around trying to learn exactly how he's supposed to be a Cleric of Stronmaus. We're going into the Eye of the All-Father tonight, but last session we found a cave in a glacier and everyone who tried to go in was thrown out by thunder except for Cleric, who got thrown out by LIGHTNING and had his warhammer transformed into an artifact with some stormy spells on it, so that's neat.

Our Warlock is whispering secrets into a fucking Rubik's cube that keeps lighting up and he's about one or two away from completing the puzzle, so we don't know what's up with that (or even that he's doing it). There have been a few secrets that have been way too fucked up for the cube (like Gren's paper) or have caused his GOO patron to flip out or be cryptic.

And our Rogue's hook was that he was the first mate and sole survivor on a boat that got fucked up, but we didn't find much clues about that in Waterdeep and then left the coast. We got some more inland when we tried to save a guy who was mindfucked by the Cult of the Crushing Wave (and he promptly melted upon telling us, oops) but it'll be a few sessions until we're back on the coast to follow up with this.

/blog
>>
>>50822894
Killing Evil is SOP, killing Evil in extreme ways or with prejudice isn't. You can get away with it now in 5E due to how some Oaths like Vengeance are worded, but it's not traditional Paladin-ing and the player should have no illusions that they're the "Good Guy" for lynching half-orcs who show insufficient 1488 white pryde the Dalelands shall rise again.

The #2 thing to remember with alignments is: there is no Greater Good as you know it and it doesn't matter why you're doing something or what this will lead to down the road, only what you're currently doing
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>50822858
To put it simply I'm looking for a very misguided Jeanne d'Arc-type instead of a Batman. So they're not out for vengeance or punishment but salvation and peace by removing evil from the world. It's all about the image of a benevolent leader that is pretty much a psycho. One that will rally the crowd to save the day by a passionate speech about unity and hope before beheading a captured gnoll.

>>50822900
Well, the elves, humans and dwarves usually have some history in most settings, degree of peaceful interactions and some unity against common evil enemies. So they're people that can more or less call themselves the "good guys" and believe it, plus they have at least partially similar values and desires that don't include each other, sense of honor and there is some attraction between their people. You can live in most D&D settings and go "ok, we need to unite our forces before the orcs/demons/whatever kill us and turn back the tide" and the people will believe in it.

It's not about them not being smart enough to realize what they're doing is evil, they just don't see it as evil. Most PCs already do that by just raiding the village or stronghold of the bad guys and killing them all, not giving a crap about their motivation and such.
>>
>>50821866
I actually haven't felt like it was that overpowered. That could be because the game I'm in just hasn't been well suited for the Mystic. I'm either unconscious, forced into running around and being the party healer, or having my attacks fail because I either rolled poorly or the enemies happen to save. I love the character but man I just hate how useless I've felt as the Mystic for the past couple months.
>>
While I was making an excel spreadsheet to compare a Favored Soul Sorcerer to a Bladelock, I came across a problem. Now, in one of the situations, both the bladelock and the sorcerer had GWM, but the bladelock also had PAM, and yet they both already have 20 strength. So, the sorcerer doesn't gain much from increasing anything else, and I thought I'd give them a feat when comparing them to the PAM+GWM bladelock.

Here's the problem: The best raw damage option then is 'savage attacker'. But it's really, really fucking hard to model statistically.

You have to calculate a rolled combined number from 2d6 at which you're prepared to roll at, which varies depending on your crit chance and how many attacks you have left and how likely those attacks are to hit, on top of an alternate case scenario where the attack is a crit. You then have to calculate just how much extra damage it will provide, on average, depending on when you were made to use it.

God fucking damnit I didn't take enough statistics classes for this shit.
>>
>>50820039
We're doing one for mine right now, and it's likely I'll my character will die to save the rest of the party by the end of it.

Some potential Out of the Abyss spoilers.

He was found floating on a boat in the Dark Lake after the rest of the party left Sloobludop. When he was found he had amnesia and couldn't remember anything before waking up on the boat, though it's slowly been revealed as the story progressed that he was being held and experimented on by Mind Flayers, who messed with his mind and gave him psionic abilities. He managed to escape with the help of another prisoner, who unfortunately got left behind, because of a bunch of crazy stuff that started happening. As far as we have been able to tell, the Demogorgon and stuff coming out of the Abyss and destroying Sloobludop was happening all around this time, and that caused the distraction which allowed my character to escape.

It's tied into the story really well and we've reached a point where we're back at where my character was held, battling Mind Flayers to rescue the other prisoner.

I've loved the character and story he's had, but just not having fun with the class at all anymore so I'm going to try working on something new. Instead of rolling a fully new character, I might see if my DM would let the fight result in him losing his Mystic levels and gaining all of his memories back, including the class he was before all this happened (which has yet to be determined.)

>>50820617
Who knew lumberjacks wore women's clothes.

>>50822630
You have a point. I'll definitely keep the monk in consideration. I'm leaning most towards Bard, Sorcerer, or Rogue, but Monk and Paladin/Warlock are also in consideration.
>>
>>50820039
Meet a dragon
Met one and was killed by it
>>
>>50823586
Quest successful!

>>50820039
My character's personal quest was no more than to find his father. It's how he got into the whole mess to begin with.
His warlock patron's quest for him is much grander in scale (save the world, etc. etc.) but it's sort of secondary for him. Like, he's willing to pitch in, but only if other people are helping. It's their world too.
>>
>>50821866
It's actually fine. The damage of its nukes (whether they be purely cast-based or as add-ons to melee strikes) and heals match the values of other casters, and the PP cost to do each of those is scaled to the cost of the other casters if they used SP instead of spell slots. It has exceptional parity as far as resource management goes.

People get uppity looking at it because they add up all the, say, healing or Lethal Strikes that a Psion can do if it blows all of its PP over X rounds, then compare that to a fucking Fighter (who has no real resources) or something instead of a Cleric who is spending literally every spell slot on healing spells or a Paladin who blows all of his Smites as soon as possible. If anything, the Paladin is going to have higher damage potential just because he can dump two Smites in a round and the Psion doesn't have Extra Attack (he's got to spend 5 PP if he wants a second attack on any round).

If there's anywhere the Psion is maybe too good, it's in versatility and a select few discipline features that are flat-out better than spells (like the charm stuff). Just nerf those or increase their cost. Something like the "change focus to gain proficieny in any skill/weapon/armor/tool" should be removed and replaced with a PP cost for X minutes.

That's literally it. Every other balance change should be us telling the whiners to balance their warped perceptions.
>>
Playing a 5th level fighter and an incident in my campaign's story is making me debate multiclassing. is dipping into paladin worth it?
>>
>>50823953
Well, you're not going to get your third attack and Fighter ribbons @ 7 all suck ass so there's no point to sticking around, really.

Fighter exists to get your maneuvers and Action Surge. If you can get Extra Attack elsewhere or already have it, ditch the class.
>>
>>50823973
There's a free feat at level 6, he's already at 5, might as well grab it.
>>
>>50823953
Multiclassing is generally not efficient compared to going full, like next level you get a feat. But story reasons are always a good reason.
>>
DM here, did a bunch of 3.5 for a while and now a few sessions into 5e.

PC's are near the point of multiclassing. I feel like you can become incredibly powerful and it seems a little busted. Is it fine and am I wrong?
>>
>>50823953
It's not terrible, but it's not really any good. Honestly, fighter has hardly any synergy with paladin unless you just wanted to go 3 levels into fighter for extra crit chance.

If you're a battlemaster, even less reason to.

If you're an EK, that's ridiculous. You actually LOSE spell levels by multiclassing.

Say you have 5 levels of fighter. That's 2 spellcasting levels.
Then, say you have 3 levels of paladin. That's 2 spellcasting levels.

Combine 5 levels of fighter and 3 levels of paladin. What do you get? 4 levels of spellcasting? Ahaha, no, fuck you, you get 2 levels of spellcasting.

Again, if you're a champion, I wouldn't say you shouldn't. Otherwise, seriously don't.
>>
>>50824177
You're sort of wrong. There's really no broken muliticlassing in 5e. Gestalting can be broken as fuck, but basic multiclassing is more balanced than it's ever been (except maybe in 4e).
Oh, and unlike 3.5, multiclassing casters isn't completely stupid.
>>
>>50824177
Why do you think it'd make you incredibly powerful?
>>
Let's refine the 8 INT wizard idea

>Every spell that has a flat effect and doesn't require a spell attack or saving throw (unfortunately you can only prepare like one)
>also, the bladesinger cantrips use weapon attacks, so your spell attack modifier doesn't matter
>take mountain dwarf for medium armor, handaxe and warhammer proficiency
>15 AC
>1d10 weapon in two hands, or dual wield handaxes for 2 x 1d6
>melee that shit, with the occasional spell
>don't get extra attack? Who cares, your GFB/booming blade damage scales
>you are now a dumb dwarf who just hits things and claims he's a wizard for some reason

Not sure what school to take though. Definitely not enchantment.
>>
>>50824253
It feels like dipping into Rogue early gives you far too many benefits if you're, say, a Barbarian or Fighter.
>>
>>50824177
What do you mean by "near the point of multiclassing", by the way?
>>
>>50824210
You are using a very contrived example. 6 levels of fighter and 4 levels of paladin give you 4 levels of casting, which is higher than 10 levels of fighter.

All you've proven is that if you're EK you should multiclass after a level divisible by 3.

>>50824260
Leave before the autism comes out in full force.
>>
>>50824210
Paladins get spells at 2, 3, and 5 (including second circle at 5).
EKs get spells at 3, 4, and 7 (and second circle at 7). The best spell for the EK playstyle you can pick up at seceond level is probably Mirror Image or Blur, which you will either have to drop your cross-school spell for or wait until 8 to pick up. There's only one Abj spell (Arcane Lock) on second circle and a bunch of Evocation shit you'll never use aside from Scorching Ray or Shatter, MAYBE Gust of Wind if you're a clever shit.

It's not as clear-cut a decision as far as spells go as you think.
>>
>>50824261
Sorta true, but not really. Mostly what you get is cunning action. But cunning action is all about mobility, which barbarian already has enough of and basically just helps the fighter get around. And either of them have to give up stuff like dual-wielding to use it.
As for sneak attack, they'll get very little at first and it can only be used once per round anyway. And they're giving up extra rage damage or extra attack for it.
Rogue is slightly front-loaded but not moronically so.

That said, never let anyone dip into UA ranger. That shit's frontloaded as FUCK.
>>
>>50824260
That's basically what I'm doing but there's no real need to go 8 INT apart from the fun of it. 14 INT is fine.

There's no "refining" it per se. It's just something a Wizard can do in 5e. It's not even really original or anything.

>
Abjuration is pretty cool.
>
Divination is, as always, probably best since you can basically decide to make an enemy fail his saving throw even if your DC isn't that high.
>
Conjuration is fun (since you can use it to save a squishy in your team).
>>
>>50824260
Lots of rituals and utility cantrips, spell preparation is for nerds
>>
>>50824210
>a second Fighting Style, the ability to Smite, maintain Bless, what is essentially a Third Wind (as an action but also removing poison/disease and usable on others), immunity to disease, and:
>either +1 AB and magic DR piercing and fiend/undead turning (Devotion)
>or advantage against an enemy for one minute (Vengeance)
>not synergistic with a class that stands up front and hits things/gets hit all day
>>
>>50824274
You level up to 6 and you've further put yourself away from any valuable paladin features.

No matter what, even if you multiclass at a specific level, you're still half a level behind a usual paladin.
Usual paladin gets a spellcasting level at 3. You get it at 4, a level later. Not to mention, it'll take you another level to get there since you put that level into EK in the first place (which didn't give you an extra spellcasting level, but instead stopped you from losing a spellcasting level if you multiclassed).
So, you're 2 levels behind the paladin's spellcasting compared to if you multiclassed out at level 5 and spellcasting levels added together rather than used an alternative formula.

And then, if you do level to 6, you then get barely anything out of paladin until level 8. Paladin's level 1 is hardly useful at all for fighter. Level 8 will give you smiting, which will actually be pretty okay with your 4 level 1 spell slots and 2 level 2 spell slots, provided you don't blow them on shield or whatever.

Then...
Well, if you want to go paladin, you don't do just a dip unless you're a full caster getting smites.
You want that level 6 feature at least.
But the fighter already got extra attack, so they gain literally nothing on paladin level 5 (other than +5 to lay on hands) while everybody else is getting their neat level 11 features. Not reaching level 11? Your only really interesting feature is smiting, probably.
>>
>>50824298
That's only if you want to learn extra EK spells. If all you care about is spell levels, EK 6 is enough.

>>50824369
EK 6/Paladin X. You don't need level 7 spells, you're using all your slots for smiting anyway. Fuckin' do it ya wuss.
>>
>>50824260
>take Theurge wizard from Faithful UA
>choose Tempest domain
>get Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath (maximize lightning or thunder damage)
>maximize damage on booming blades

or even better:
>choose Trickery domain
>get Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity
>can cast Booming Blade from a distance using the invulnerable duplicate
>or get advantage if you're in melee with it

>>50824337
>you don't need to have the spell prepared
Shit, I didn't know that rule. Turns out clerics can't do that, and I've been playing cleric recently
>>
>>50823973
>>50824029
>>50824210
>>50824369
Thanks so much for the input! I feel like this is going to be a lot of fun to play as. The real question is if I want to take the feat next level or go straight into the paladin
>>
I'm gonna run a campaign in Silver Marches, starting around Amphail and with a hexed map and use th journey rules from the new Middle Earth D20 system.

Year would be around 1370s. Big players in the region, obould, arcane brotherhood, people of black blood, sarya and khaanry vhok.

any tips?
>>
>>50824274
>You are using a very contrived example. 6 levels of fighter and 4 levels of paladin give you 4 levels of casting, which is higher than 10 levels of fighter.
Level 10 EK has 4th level caster slots, so it's not higher. Paladin gets 5th level caster's spell slots at 10 (actually at 9), so it's behind there too, as a comparison.
>>
>>50820039
never ever. The DM actively encourages me to make one, then railroads us into an unrelated plot. This has happened three times in a row with two different DMs.
>>
>>50824261
Rogue is a pretty good multiclass, but I wouldn't call it 'early' if you consider the extra attack feature. If you put too many levels in rogue, you won't reach extra attack which pays off just as much damage as if you were levelling up sneak attacks (if not more if you're using GWM/sharpshooter).

If you want to deal lots of damage, you get a big weapon and GWM. This doesn't work with sneak attack.
Rogue has synergy with rapier+shield, which is a more defence-based play. So, you can play a sword and boarder with more damage, but it won't be anything gamebreaking at all.

Simply put, multiclassing rogue makes certain playstyles more viable (dex tanky barbarian, grapplers with expertise in athletics yet also high strength or a sword-and-board fighter that ... Something.)
>>
>>50824406
>take Theurge wizard from Faithful UA
>get slapped by your DM, then each of the other players in turn

FTFY
>>
>>50824435
>Level 10 EK has 4th level caster slots
You should clarify that you're referring to the slots a caster who is currently level would have, and not "fourth level spells" (which an EK does not get until level 19)

I really wish they'd kept "spell circle" around as the terminology so "fourth level" and "fourth circle" were easily distinguished.
>>
>>50824415
How do those journey rules work? I'm mainly familiar with the alexandrian/west marches travel rules - survival checks to navigate, DC depends on terrain, chance to veer to neighboring hexes on fail. Elevation affects vision distance, and perception checks on random encounters decides who notices who first and from what distance
>>
I ran a semi successful campaign that I came up with, players liked the story but disliked the combat which I had too much of. I want to continue the story in 3 different paths, is this a bad idea? I've never written such a large campaign before. It's either they side with demons(which are not evil in this scenario), a godlike mage that runs a college or a king.
Also how do you ensure you have a nice balance of content.
>>
File: journey.png (237KB, 409x432px) Image search: [Google]
journey.png
237KB, 409x432px
>>50824488
>>
>>50824391
That's not how spellcasting level calculation work. You will learn new spells a level later, but your total spellcasting level (which determines slots) is always (levels in full caster) + 1/2(levels in half caster) + 1/3(levels in AT or EK).

>>50824435
It goes back and forth, which is why you need to know exactly which level to switch on.
>>
>>50824445
accurate
>>
>>50824369
I don't know, there might be a possibility that it is slightly better than taking fighter levels (Paladin is a pretty damn good class after all) but what hurts is the fact that
1. Pure paladin would be downright better.
2. So many features are wasted. You already have extra attack, you already took your favourite fighting style, you already have 1d10 hitdice and heavy armour and all that, if you're a battlemaster you're losing out on dice progression and if you're an EK you're skewing your spell progression somewhat. Also, action surge has perfect synergy with most classes, yet doesn't exactly have a lot with paladin. Action surge feels kind of wasted. Most classes you could have a 'limit break' action with action surge 'I cast fireball twice!' but with paladin it feels a bit wasted. You see, Paladin can do more burst damage by simply smiting more. But, you can still action for bless/sacred weapon.
3. Once you hit level 11, you're missing out on damage progression (Extra attack, or for a paladin Improved Divine Smite.) You'll get the paladin level 6 feature which is great, but you might as well just be a paladin for that.

Okay, I'll admit that most of my argument is less 'You shouldn't multiclass' but rather 'You should've just been a paladin in the first place'.

>>50824515
That's wrong.
If you do not multiclass, your spellcasting level on an EK is actually (1/3 + [Level]/3) round to nearest, but if you multiclass it becomes (-1/3 + [Level]/3) round to nearest.
>>
>>50824623
>>50824369
So, I guess my point is more 'Why switch out of fighter now and be a worse paladin doing paladin's role but worse when you might as well stick to fighter and do the fighter's role just as well as a fighter is capable of'?

If you look at it from a paladin's perspective, 'Okay, I'm a level 5 paladin. Would it be sensible to put levels into fighter?'
The answer would be pretty much always 'no'.
>>
>>50824623
No. Read page 164. Your spellcasting level depends on total levels, not your levels in any one class.
>>
>>50820093
Skimmed through it. 5e doesn't do classes having to drop tons of gold on class features. Wizard scribe spells to the book but its not very expensive and scrolls are treasure not craftables you churn out. The bomb ranges seem a little intense but also make strength a kludgy secondary stat cause you can lose range on your bombs.

Speaking of bombs a lot of them are decent damage wise but there seem to be a lot of pay 50g to 1000gp throw this once. The hit or miss is also a little meh.

I propose targeting a square is AC 5 or direct target is normal AC, and then do either a D4 or d8 scatter to an adjacent square if it has an AoE effect.

Tone down some of the more out there bombs like the singularity and try to keep material components down to a minimum, resurrection or other crazy effects should always have their expensive costs. Also try to avoid too much use of advantage/disadvantage unless its really necessary. A couple of the bombs secondary targets have advantage on saves which means a DM has to roll 2d20 up to 8 times.
>>
>>50819990

I love you. In a sexual way.
>>
>>50824682
How about you take the formula I just gave you and actually put in some numbers?

Let's put in level 4. Wow, an EK gets two levels of spellcasting, (1/3+4/3) = 5/3 which rounds to 2.
Let's put in level 4 for a multiclasser. Wow, an EK contributes one level of spellcasting (-1/3 + 4/3) = 3/3. When does the EK get a second level in this case? At level 6 (-1/3 + 6/3) = 5/3 which rounds to 2.

Yeah, I fucked up on the formula a little, a better way to write it is this:

Non-Multiclassed EK: 2/3 + [LEVEL]/3 spellcasting levels, always round down.
Multiclassed EK: [LEVEL]/3 spellcasting levels, always round down.

There are other ways I can express it such as 'for single-class EKs always round up, but for multiclass EKs always round down'

Of course, this doesn't hold true for levels below 3 but they don't even get the spellcasting feature until level 3 so they wouldn't get those spellcasting levels anyway.
>>
>>50820093
>>50824685
Yeah it's fucking gay. Just homebrew a wizard but with 1d8 and light armor, Throw Everything, maybe borrow a couple features like Cunning Action from rogue. Let them brew spells into potions from a selected list, except they only affect one creature, and take effect when either consumed or hit as thrown. The potions per day is the same as wizard's spell slots.

Then give them no cantrips, but a number of low-powered bombs per day, or a cantrip-like bomb attack that they use DEX for.
>>
>>50824682
>spellcasters can stack 5 Wizard / 4 Cleric and have fifth level slots
>martials can't stack 6 Fighter / 5 Barb and have three attacks note: this is because we're counting Barb levels as Fighter levels for the purposes of reaching the third attack at Fighter 11, not simply adding two Extra Attacks at 5 together and saying you can swing three times; a 6 Fighter / 5 Barb / 5 Paladin would not have four attacks for instance
FUCKING WOOOOOOOOTC
>>
>>50824743
Because barbs never get a third attack.

So really it should be that you can only get one extra attack from multiclassing martials (e.g. fighter 2/ranger 3, paladin 4/barb 1).
>>
>>50824778
>Because barbs never get a third attack.
neither do fighters if we're being honest
>>
>>50824623
You cant fireball twice with action surge. No matter how many actions/bonus actions you have, each turn you can cast 1 spell, and only cantrips after that. With haste/action surge you could cast 3 cantrips and 1 full spell
>>
File: InASexualWay.png (17KB, 652x374px) Image search: [Google]
InASexualWay.png
17KB, 652x374px
>>50824725
I was talking about multiclassing exclusively. I didn't notice you added single-class EK into the calculation where you said I was wrong.
I agree. In multiclassing, it's level/3 round down. Every time. Which is why you want to take 6 levels of EK.

>>50824693
Pic related?
>>
>>50824825
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/04/17/action-surge-spell-3/
Haha, did you really think Crawford would make a ruling to rein in casters?
>>
>>50824743
Extra attack (2) and (3) is a fighter unique feature.

It's the reward for sticking to fighter until level 11, much like Improved Divine Smite for paladins.

It's sensible it works this way, honestly. It also means a fighter who dips a level into barbarian has to wait slightly longer for their extra attacks.

The wizard/cleric can't actually cast fifth level slots, so eh.

I'll admit though, there are certain multiclasses that just aren't very sensible. Both cleric/wizard (more than a one level dip) and barbarian/fighter (more than a one level dip) seem kind of bad ideas.

I mean, otherwise, a level 10 barbarian could put one level in fighter and get extra attack (2).

It's a shame there isn't at least some little reward for having extra attack twice. Some rule that says 'If you have the extra attack feature twice, you gain an ASI/feat instead of the second extra attack' or something like that.

>>50824825
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/04/17/action-surge-spell-3/
You can cast fireball twice as long as you didn't cast a bonus action spell beforehand.

>>50824830
It's a bit of a shame to do that though, because usually you want to go 5 levels into a class for just extra attack or something. Imagine AT/EK, you want level 5 for extra attack and then rest rogue levels. An ASI isn't so bad though, I guess.
>>
>>50824825
>With haste/action surge you could cast 3 cantrips and 1 full spell
Why?
Haste action can't be used on a cantrip, has to be one weapon attack
Where are you getting the other one from? You can't use extra attack for multiple cantrips
>>
>>50824889
>implying Paladins shouldn't get Improved Smite at character level 11 provided all of their other class levels are also martials
Monks should gain higher MA die and Barbs should continue to receive Rage die increases, uses per day, and Brutal Crit

it's only fair :^)
>>
File: some kinda barbarian caster.jpg (635KB, 2999x3749px) Image search: [Google]
some kinda barbarian caster.jpg
635KB, 2999x3749px
>Barbarian archetype
>spellcasting like EK / AT
>uses the Druid spell list; its schools are Transmutation and Conjuration
>first archetype feature allows casting and concentration while in Rage
y / n
>>
>>50824889
The wizard/cleric WILL have 5th-level slots, just no 5th-level spells.

>>50824909
Check out my monk 7/fighter 1/paladin 1/barbarian 1/UA ranger 1! :D
>>
>>50824743
yeah, 5e would work much better with a track system like the rule of cool legend system.
it's not that hard to port it tho, but it wouldn't look like d&d anymore.
>>
>>50824992
>13 in every stat but Int
i wouldn't be that scared
>>
>>50824909
All levels in classes with the Smite feature should add up to gain Improved Smite.
Same with rages, martial arts, sneak attacks... it just makes plain sense!

Most martials, that only get Extra Attack (1) at level 5, would give half their level towards a fighter's attacks.
>>
>>50824977
Yes, but no concentration. You don't want the barb to be able to maintain a buff spell; that's probably too stronk.
>>
>>50824909
>monks should gain higher MA dice
I can agree with that.
>Barbs should continue to receive rage die increases/brutal critical
Those could be rewards for getting two 'extra attack' abilities.

>>50824992
The extra slots mostly enable them to just cast the spells they already knew more often. They don't get to cast better spells, though. Maybe upcast for an extra 1d6 somewhere.
Much like a fighter/paladin gets 1d10 hitdice on both accounts and thus gets more HP so they can stay in the fight for longer.
Still, as above, there should be a reward for having two extra attack features to make non-single-level-dip martial multiclasses viable outside of rogue.

>>50824977
Would be used for multiclassing, but it's three whole levels and doesn't give, say, bear barbarian resistances so that's okay, actually.
>>
>>50825021
There was a homebrewer that allowed 1/2 martial levels count towards extra fighter attacks, provided you were at least fighter 5. Made sense to me.

>>50825030
Upcasting is kind of the point - it was more or less invented to allow this sort of multiclassing, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>50824977
could work but i'm not familiar with the druid spell list so i'm not sure. makes barbarian's MAD as fuck though unless you're a dexbarian.
>>
>>50825113
Shillelagh lets you use Wis instead of St for melee attacks.

Take 1 level of Monk and you get unarmored defense too
>>
>>50825075
Upcasting is also important for warlocks and means they don't have to pure in 'Cure Wounds!' and 'Cure Wounds+1'! and 'Cure Wounds+2!' and instead have a single spell that can be potentially more powerful at later levels (Say, a spell like bless is still useful).

However, certainly, it's most useful to multiclassers.
>>
>>50825113
Barbarians already only really need strength. Dex 14 helps give you dex's benefits and more AC, but with so much health and reckless attack you don't really need that awfully badly. Con also helps, but you have 1d12 fucking hitdice, so whatever.
Dex barbarian is more ability dependent (not multiple ability dependent) as they rely on getting very high con+dex to gain their benefits over normal barbarian.

And, the fact it's wis as a casting stat is great. More perception and especially better wis saves is good, considering being charmed is probably one of barbarian's weak points.
>>
>>50825024
But EKs and ATs can maintain the better Wizard spells just fine. The Druid spell list isn't exactly king of powerful concentration buffs.

I mean, look at what you've got.
>1: Jump and Longstrider (and Detect Magic / Detect Poison and Disease)
>2: Pass Without Trace, Barkskin (are you honestly going to have less than 16 AC), Enhance Ability, FLAME BLAAAAAADE
>3, which you will never reach: Protection from Energy, Conjure Animals (let's just count this), Flame Arrows
>4, which you are certainly never reaching and who the fuck cares how powerful it is if you do because you're level 19 at this point: Stoneskin, Conjure Elementals / Woodland Beings, Polymorph
The only thing in this list that makes me go "fuck yeah" is Flame Blade but then I realized it's a "use your action to make a melee spell attack" thing so you probably aren't using it in conjunction with Extra Attack.

So what's left? Level 13 Barbs casting Protection from Energy (when raging as a Totem barb can make them resistant to everything at the same time) and Conjure Animals?
Raging level 7 Barbarians with +10 Stealth sneaking through combat before Chingachgooking an orc?

Honestly, only the fact that Barbs are ignoring half physical damage and thus have easy Concentration checks most cases gives me pause. But fuck it, they're going to have enough problems casting non-damaging spells in combat while raging because unless something hits them, they'll drop out of Rage.
>>
>>50825132
Using Wis/Shillelagh disables the +damage from Rage and advantage from Reckless Attack, since both require you to use melee weapon attacks using Strength.
>>
File: american-psycho-bateman.jpg (62KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-bateman.jpg
62KB, 600x327px
>>50819817
Tell me, O wise anons of /5eg/:

Why is it taken for granted that players are supposed to trust their GM to homebrew an entire setting and adventure path for their game, when GMs don't trust their players to homebrew their own class?

That doesn't seem very fair to me.
>>
>>50825113
It's not like ATs and EKs pump Intelligence. EKs are all about buffing themselves and shielding damage, and ATs just kind of suck it up and hope that most enemies have shitty Wis saves (they do).
>>
File: smugkreli.png (282KB, 635x325px) Image search: [Google]
smugkreli.png
282KB, 635x325px
>>50825248
I mean, if we're to accept that the people homebrewing classes and races and feats are making garbage, I probably shouldn't expect my GM to put together a better game world or adventure than the pros who make the book, should I? Who are they to think they can tell a better story than Storm King's Thunder, anyway?

If I have to stick purely to what's published, shouldn't they, too?
>>
>>50825248
The difference is that the GM/DM is the host who can 'rocks fall, everybody dies' while the players are guests who don't have to put in much effort but get to hang around and have fun at the party. They can still try to ruin the party, but they can't ruin the party like the DM can.

Not to mention, homebrewing and entire adventure and setting is mostly to do with flavour. As long as the DM is reasonable with encounters (And the players have the ability to avoid unreasonable ones) then it's fair game.
A player can do whatever they want with flavour too as long as it's not too ridiculous.
>>
>>50825182
My one biggest issue is honestly Entangle. It could get pretty stupid, especially with half damage AND proficiency in constitution saves. At higher levels, Call Lightning could get pretty ridiculous as well. The barbarian will essentially NEVER lose concentration, and there's nothing stopping him from casting a spell and entering rage the next turn, thus ignoring the requirements to stay in rage.
>>
>>50825350
Well, if your DM homebrews up a monster with ridiculous stats, then sure. But the deal is that you probably won't see that monster over and over again.

If you make a broken character, it's harder to whack it until it goes down and then never see it again because unless the DM gets them killed that broken character will be there throughout the entire game.

And a broken monster doesn't ruin the experience for everybody else, usually. The broken monster is a dick to everybody, so the players have common ground. They'll beat it until it goes away. If it's a player with overpowered abilities, the player is being a dick to all the other players and causing strife. If you beat that player up, you've lost combat potential and just caused some drama, most likely.
>>
>>50825402
>For the purposes of maintaining Concentration, your DC is 10 or the damage of any attack that hits you BEFORE REDUCTIONS FROM RESISTANCE, whichever is higher
>>
whats a good life cleric and land Druid multiclass build? How many levels in each class and which one should I start with?

Race: wood elf
Background: hermit
Aliment: NG
>>
>>50819763
I've got a love hate relationship with homebrew, i give my players a lot of very minor magical items i created myself (gloves that cast a cantrip a day, a cane that can turn corpses into gold used by a greedy as fuck necromancer) but when it comes to classes i'm a lot less open.
>>
>>50825442
That's fair. But proficiency in constitution saves and a tendency to have decent constitution can still prove hard to bypass.

This romantic captcha is bullshit
>>
So, say I want to play a Hobgoblin bard, who's schtick is war drums and military songs.

Is there some sort of buff that would increase speed over long term? Like over-land travel kind of thing? Would be fluffed as a marching cadence.
>>
>>50825481
Longstrider lasts 1h
>>
>>50825463
You only need druid 1 for goodberry abuse.

If you'll go to 7th level+, life cleric 1/bard 6+ does it better.
>>
>>50825248
The DM can change the characteristics of the world as the game progresses. If a monster or NPC doesn't seem to work, that creature can simply not appear anymore in the future, or its stats and abilities can be altered to be more appropriate.

By contrast, if a player is constantly changing the abilities of their character, they're either cheating or playing a warlock.
>>
>>50825481
Having the UA Ranger feature Natural Explorer, kind of.
Longstrider if you have an extra spell slot / level for every creature (character and pack animal) in your group that will be moving
>>
>>50825463
Honestly the best answer is no multiclass, the second best answer is nature cleric 1 for the additional cantrip and skill, and third best answer is Cleric 1 Druid X cause life cleric 2 is wasted relative for multiclassing unless you plan to max it.

Start cleric, cause it will be hard to multiclass for your single point otherwise.
>>
>>50825513
>>50825534
Damn, I guess that idea is out the window. Having to expend a spell slot for every party member is poo.
>>
>>50825604
Pass Without Trace means your party can travel at a fast pace and still be relatively stealthy.
>>
>>50824177
Long-time 3.5 and now 2+ year 5e DM. Multiclassed characters are generally weaker than single-classed unless you're going from a weaker class to a stronger one, i.e. paladin into bard or sorcerer.

It's fine and you're wrong.
>>
>>50825623
>stealthy
>banging on drums as you go
>>
>>50825481
Best travel buff is actually for Barbarians, the level 6 Elk Totem.
>>
File: backgrounds2.png (250KB, 499x451px) Image search: [Google]
backgrounds2.png
250KB, 499x451px
>>50825604
>acquire wagon
>put all party members in wagon
>hitch animal(s) to it
>Longstrider the animal(s)
Alternatively: make a custom background whose benefit is "your party travels faster"
>>
>>50825698
Different anon, but in 2 years I haven't had one player try to use his background perk for anything.
>>
>>50825716
Outlanders use the food gathering thing all the time

I definitely would've used mine as an urchin... only the campaign never made it to the capital city where I was from
>>
>>50825716
>literally my first session in 5E
>party arrives at a town and eventually arranges for room and board
>DM asks what everyone wants to do around town
>use Entertainer background to show off sweet luchador moves and regale the town with tales of my epic wrestling matches with alliterative names
>free lodging
>autograph signings
>everyone in town loves me
Your players are missing out
>>
>>50825781
>Your players are missing out
Yeah, I agree. I don't want to hold their hands too much about how to play their characters though.
>>
>>50825781
>le ebin luchabardbarian
Shitter
>>
>>50825875
Straight Fighter, friend Anon. :)
>>
>>50825716
>not wanting to be a Charlatan Eagle totem Barbarian with Keen Mind, who pretends to be a dumb lunk, but then reveals he's the world's greatest scholar when he uses the ring of X-ray vision to instantly memorize all books in a 30-foot radius.
>>
>>50825907
I'm not about to make DMPCs to show off a meme to tell them "play right."
>>
If you're making a Wizard, is there any reason not to use Yuan-Ti Pureblood?

Seems the Volo races might be a bit OP
>>
Any of you losers have a sick eye patch?
>>
>>50826011
>disadvantage on the most important skill check
don't be silly
>>
>>50825972
The charisma is wasted. The Yuan-Ti advantage doesn't actually work against as much stuff as you think it does on the first read.
>>
>>50819763

If the homebrew is good, (sane, balanced, and fits within the world) then I allow it. If it's not, I don't. Plain and simple.

For instance, my player is right now running a Goat Totem barbarian that just gives him some climbing abilities, altitude acclimation, and lets him run into people. It's fair, it's sane, and it makes sense, since his character is from the mountains.
>>
>>50826085
In which case help me to Druid.

What are the best forms to Wild shape into for C 1/2 and 1?
>>
>>50825972
Reason to not play Yuan-ti pureblood

>Bladesinger
>Critical failures are a thing (play a halfling abjurer instead)
>You want to play a 8 int wizard
>Variant Human extra feat
>DM only throws martial stuff at you
>You are playing a dwarf for armor at level 1 when multiclass isn't allowed
>Tiefling for +1 int and flying
>You want your character to have emotions
>>
>>50826011
Nah, put a glass eye in there though.
>>
>>50826102
>CR 1/2 and 1
Why? Are you going land? I'd advise against it
>>
>>50826102
Black Bear, Warhorse
Brown Bear, Dire Wolf
>>
>>50826146
He might go twilight or dreams
>>
>>50826146
>Why? Are you going land? I'd advise against it

Druid is either a low-level hero as Circle of the Moon that tapers off around level 8ish (unless you have lots of short rests to power elemental shapes at 10) or just works an inferior cleric as Circle of the Land.
>>
>>50826146
>Why? Are you going land?

Circle of the Moon gets better Wild Shaping, right?

>>50826170
>twilight or dreams

uuhhhhhh.....
>>
>>50826187
>Circle of the Moon gets better Wild Shaping, right?
To a point. Most of the shapes from CR 3 and up are crap compared to what you'll fight at the levels they become available.
>>
>>50826187
Moon can choose CR 1 from the start
>>
>>50826067
fuc u eyepatchs are lit
>>
>>50819763
I allowed some /tg/ gunslinger homebrew and later mercer's gunslinger
I didn't like then as much but it wasn't so bad.
I am not allowing homebrew classes or races in my next campaign, except for a race I made for last campaign and people liked, I want people to work with the official stuff instead, instead of going crazy and wanting a homebrew for things that can be easily done with refluffing or at worst asking me if they can get a spell outside of their spell list or replace a skill proficiency.
I will be using some 3rd party and or homebrew monsters and items for sure.
>>
>>50826251
You add any homebrew enemies and items?
>>
>>50826251
>replace a skill proficiency.
The horror

I mean they can already do this with customized backgrounds?
>>
>>50825972
>When playing x, is there any reason not to do y?
The answer is always "because you're a role-player, not a munchkin."
>>
>>50819763
I homebrew items to give out to players.

I like this glaive I made for the Battle Master fighter of the group in particular. He liked to roleplay as the tactical commander of the group.

>The Royal Decree
>+2 glaive
>critically hits on 19 or 20
>Commander's Strike doesn't cost a bonus action
>recover an expended superiority die on a critical hit
>>
>>50826011
No, but I once had a cleric who lost an arm.

>Get transported to some trippy plane because DM wasn't prepared and needed to improvise
>Other player gets some sort of magic corruption
>Try to help him
>Left arm gets infected upon touching him
>Try to Remove Curse on arm
>Corruption becomes more evil looking and starts spreading faster
>Tell fighter to amputate
>He obliges
>Quickly seal wound with magic
>Spend rest of the session suffering from shock

I later got a magic light arm from my god after some plane traveling shenanigans. The evil corrupted arm is still somewhere out there though.
>>
>>50826135
>You want to play a 8 int wizard
How useful is a level 8 wizard? I can't think of the sorts of spells you would have
>>
>>50826417
It's a meme-build that 5eg has been talking about for awhile now
>>
File: wipe this meme.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
wipe this meme.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>50826135
>>50826417
>>
>>50826417
The only spell you need is "Summon Diamond Pickaxe", which has no save and can't be resisted (because diamonds are indestructible)
>>
>>50826417
saveless spells, spell attack-less spells, weapon attack cantrips, rituals

>>50824260
>>50824406
>>
>>50824260
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Smith's Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Levitate, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Leomunds Secret Chest, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them, others have seen him use a Secret Chest enchantment to keep a supply of snacks and food in. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>50826633
Amazing. For the first time in my life, I wish I had the ability to turn memes into living beings just so that I could kill them.
>>
>>50826633
>no GFB
>>
I played an 8 int half-orc wizard once.

They were a barbarian who thought they were a wizard.
>>
What's a good, hopefully somewhat simple, "tank" build? I guess in the MMORPG sense of soaking/blocking damage for the party. Preferably with a shield but not super necessary. My party already has pretty good damage and a cleric, but they're all a little glass-cannon-ish. Would be nice to have a big hunk of meat to take the big hits so our cleric doesn't get smacked in the face by a boss.
I tried making a shield based paladin with Protection but I didn't really have any Idea what I was doing with it. That character died to a bad string of death saving throws because our healer was out of spell slots in a long dungeon at like... 5th level?
>>
>>50826727
now that's what I call memes
>>
>>50826364
Get it to grow into a evil you.
>>
>>50826633
The problem is levels 1-3 when you don't have Heavy Armor and only have 13 AC with +0 DEX
>>
What would you do if someone brought an 8 int wizard to your table?
>>
>>50826789
Let him play. It sounds fun if he makes it work. Don't expect me to make the game any easier to coddle the concept.
>>
What kind of backstory works best for rogues, assassins, grave robbers, and bounty hunters?
>>
>>50823276
The average damage increase will be a little less than 2 so just add a flat 2 damage and save yourself the headache.
>>
4th level Paladin thinking about multiclassing into barbarian.

My RP has been my paladin's very short tempered and quick to violence so I thought a few levels in Barb might reflect that well.

That's not going to work, is it? Rage requires that I'm not in heavy armor or is that just because barb isn't proficient.
>>
>>50826894
I figured it was about that. I'm currently giving it a rough model of +1.5 if there's two attacks or +2 if there's three attacks, but it'll obviously not be awfully accurate at high/low ACs and overall it hurts my fake-autism.
>>
>>50826888
Their father skipped out on the family when they were ~6yo and mom turned to prostitution to make ends meet. She started taking drugs to forget about the mental and physical anguish of her new life, but the habit became all-consuming and eventually all of her earnings went towards fueling her addiction instead of clothing and feeding the character. Thus, you were forced to turn to a life of crime to survive.
>>
>>50826789
Let him play it, but make sure he understands that damage from items like acid, alchemist's fire, and oil doesn't scale up the more you use of it. So he can't use Minor Conjuration to deal 20d6 points of damage with 10 pounds of acid. Also remind him he can't multiclass out of it.
>>
Would any other races work for an 8 int wizard? Maybe light armor/mage armor+dex instead of plate+str
>>
>>50826985
Just let the meme fucking die.
>>
>>50826940
You can take a single level of barbarian (or two or three or four if you're really sure) and switch to medium armour. If you have 14 dex, you'll only lose 1 AC. Rage when you're not going to use spells.

However, the main issue is you're delaying extra attack (level 5, a big deal) and aura of protection (also a big deal) and other features like improved divine smite (level 11).

You could multiclass at level 7, but people should avoid the mindset of 'well, my character has a bit of this so I should multiclass that way to show it mechanically'. I mean, barbarians aren't just that, but they have some weird powerful ritual of anger and body training to get rage superpowers.
>>
>>50826985
>not playing dwarf
what the fuck are you talking about anon
>>
>>50826985
I don't know any other races that give armor proficiencies, but if you go bladesinger you could get light armor and rapier. Though your bladesong AC bonus would only be +1
>>
>>50827015
Dwarves are shit
>>
>>50827015
If I'm being honest with everyone right now I can't think of any class I wouldn't play a Dwarf as
>>
>>50826963
>Let him play it, but make sure he understands that damage from items like acid, alchemist's fire, and oil doesn't scale up the more you use of it

Why not?

>Also remind him he can't multiclass out of it.

Why not?
>>
>>50827057
From what I know there's nothing saying adding more acid wouldn't deal more damage, yet there's also nothing saying that it would. Therefore, since there's no rule on it, it's up to the DM.

Any DM will reasonably say that a ton of acid won't instantly kill tiamat or whatever. It might increase the damage, but the DM will have to punch in some reasonable numbers.
>>
>>50827100
Well, the maximum damage would be based on surface area, so you could probably set a maximum damage for each size, where increasing dosage any further won't do any damage because all surface area is already covered in acid.
>>
>>50827055
>dwarf bard who breathes spells out of a bagpipe
One on my "characters to play" stack
>>
Can Druid's Wild Shape into Swarms?
>>
>>50824743
That's because casting a 3rd or 2nd level spell in a 5th level spell slot is not the same as casting a 5th level spell, nor is it equivalent to +50% more damage per action, every action, like an additional extra attack would be. The 5th level slot probably isn't even +50% more damage for the action you use it on.
>>
>>50827178
No
>>
>>50826749
Pure Paladin - supportive tank. Paladin is a top-tier class, really.
Dex Barbarian-Rogue - Big fucking wad of meat.
GWM Barbarian - Wad of meat that hits things.
Sword-Board EK Fighter - Temporary high AC for as long as they have spellslots
ArmorAgathysWizard - Nobody wants to attack you in the first place.
Bladesinger Wizard - Very high AC. Still not a proper tank, but they can 'tank' by blasting everything to hell.
Cleric - Less of a tank, but supportive.
Monk - Support, functions as a tank by stunning evreything so they can't attack in the first place. Also bonus action dodges.
Druid - Turns into animals with a bunch of HP, tanks like that. Also heals and supports.
Knight FIghter - Functions are you expect from an MMORPG, though I might question how powerful it really is.
Sorlock - Is the rest of your party ranged? Get repelling blast and ensure enemies stay at range and never hit in the first place.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>50827197
Why not? They're beasts
>>
>>50827138
There are also other factors such as 'can you spread the acid over the entirety of the surface area?' or 'surface area to volume ratio says acid has a lot more to dig through' but you could probably do it like that, it seems easy enough.
>>
>>50827218
>Why not?
WotC don't allow fun
>>
>>50826749
>>50827202
Oh, aside from knight fighter, there's also just a PAM+Sentinel fighter/paladin/barbarian.

You only stop one enemy a turn, however.
>>
>>50827218
they're technically "swarm of beasts"
in the end it's pretty much up to your DM
i would probably allow it if it's really something my player wanted, but by default I don't think it makes sense

basic common sense is something we like to turn on its head in /tg/ but it's still the best tool a DM can use
>>
>>50827250
>You only stop one enemy a turn, however.
Doesn't Tunnel Fighter fighting style let you stop as many as you like?
>>
>>50827218
Their type is swarm. If you argue they're "a swarm of beasts," wild shape doesn't let you turn into multiple beasts.

There's no harm in allowing it but it's not RAW. Swarms are ass.
>>
>>50827234
Lame

>>50827267
>>50827307
I'm just going to make a Warlock instead
>>
>>50827178
Nice try. A druid is an individual. To make a swarm of beasts you'd need a swarm of druids.
>>
>>50826749
There's not exactly such a thing (apart form the UA but don't use those yet). More durable characters have decent damage output too but more consistent rather than the "nova" (high damage in limited amounts) that casters have.

Barbarian (bear totem) has high HP and takes half damage from pretty much everything. Paladins have good armor and a bit of healing but they also can do massive single-target damage with smites. Fighters have good armor (and heal themselves a bit) and good steady damage output but they can also nova with Action Surge.

You probably don't want to make another paladin so I'd say barbarian or fighter. Remember that Dex fighters can be very durable as well, with sword and board.
>>
>>50827355
At which point you might as well just become a "swarm" of tigers
>>
A patch of ice is difficult terrain, obviously. You have to be careful as you get going.

But what about when you're already going, and you're not trying to stop? What if you just want to KEEP going but have already reached the limits of what your legs are allowed to do within a round?

Give me sliding rules.
>>
File: Tiefling d100 Chart.jpg (302KB, 923x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling d100 Chart.jpg
302KB, 923x1205px
Does anyone have anything similar to this? Not limited to any particular race but in general? I have 3 for the fucking Aasimar.
>>
>>50827297
Yes, but that depends on if your DM allows it or not. I was going to recommend it, but...

Hm. Honestly, tunnel fighter is only overpowered in certain situations, and I'd pity a fighter enough that they deserve having such options.

As long as I know the player isn't going for some particular multiclass shenangians such as a level dip from rogue or something.
>>
>>50827202
>>50827250
>>50827358
Thanks. All good options to consider. Two things I should mention btw; the Paladin that died was two campaigns ago. Much more experienced with 5e now and it was long enough ago that it wouldn't feel stale.
Secondly, my DM is ruling any supplemental material is kosher as long as it was published by WOTC but with his discretion to whether or not it's OP. He specifically pointed to the Oath of the Crown paladin for me to to try out.
>>
>>50827436
i'd personally rule that you'd have to make a dex saving throw or maybe an acrobatics check or else you go half speed through the ice AND fall on your ass. if you pass i'd let you finish your movement as normal
>>
File: Appentice.png (360KB, 291x617px) Image search: [Google]
Appentice.png
360KB, 291x617px
Have you ever felt sudden, totally irrational hatred?

Because I saw this kid and I fucking hate this kid

What the fuck
>>
>>50827469
Sounds good. Compelled Duel and Champion Challenge are kinda like pulling aggro.
>>
>>50826362
>critically hits on 19 or 20
>giving out the whole reason to play champion as an item
At least add some blurb that it stacks with their Improved Critical feature.
>>
>>50827488
Anon, I'm looking for rules for purposefully sprinting onto ice and powersliding for extra speed like a badass adventurer, not "roll well or wipeout like a fucking clown"
You know, f u n
>>
>>50827469
I can't quite remember 100% but honestly oath of the crown seems a little less supportive-friendly considering oath of the ancients and oath of devotion both provide strong team auras (half magic damage or immunity to charms). It's considered quite good anyhow.

Ask the DM what they think of tunnel fighter, and I'd recommend a human variant fighter/barbarian with sentinel and maybe PAM afterwards.
>>
>>50827523
>I want you to make up rules to give me an advantage over everyone else in the group

MUNCHKIN!!
>>
>>50827511
>Have you ever felt sudden, totally irrational hatred?
I get really pissed at the incredibly obese ugly people who come to my work and order lots of food with a large diet coke.

This leaks into my games all of the time whenever there is a fat person.
>>
>>50827547
Anon, everyone is allowed to powerslide
>>
>>50827511
probs cause you wish you were him you jealous fuck. look at that swag he's wearin. He's knee deep in farm girl pussy erry night
>>
>>50827523
So just make it degrees of failure every time you attempt to stop or change directions. DC14 Acrobatics saving throw, success means you get to choose, 8 or above means you keep going and anything under 8 means you keep going and fall prone.
>>
Anyone play monk from 1-5+? I have a ghostwise halfling monk in the making and looking for some strategies I can try doing later on in the campaign.
>>
>>50827579
I have played a Monk from 2-6 but all of my advice would be do sweet backflips and stun things
>>
>Level 1 Fighters are veteran soldiers and dedicated knights

>Level 1 Wizards are floppy haired faggot 12 year olds wearing a dress

This is some serious bullshit
>>
>>50827601
>risk your life dodging a thousand goblin stabs, leaping over spike traps, carrying the villager children to safety while an umberhulk chases you down the tunnels
>this FUCKING PRETEEN WIZARD is smirking from the back of the peanut gallery the entire time and throwing fire bolts that always miss
>he levels up at the same time you do
>>
>>50826985
Lizardfolk with their natural armor.
>>
>>50827638
Hobgoblins get light armor proficiency and a INT bonus if you want armor
>>
>>50827676
>INT bonus
9 int, shit build
>>
>>50827601
>>50827633
>turns out everyone else wasn't avoiding you because they were superstitious or afraid of your wizard powers
>they just think you're an asshole
>>
>>50827436
You may optionally prone yourself as you fall onto ice. You no longer need to make saves versus falling prone, but you must make the same save in order to keep control if you take any action while on the ice (you only make this save once). On a failed save, your turn ends. On a successful save, you make your turn as normal aside from for movement.

Once you begin sliding, your normal movement is disregarded. You gain a new sliding speed which is equal to your walk speed (you may optionally reduce this slide speed). This slide speed can be used at any time you'd normally use movement, does not provoke attacks of opportunity through regular means and automatically moves you at the end of the turn if you do not use it.
You lose your slide speed and may move normally upon standing up. However, standing up while still on slippery terrain may still subject you to making a saving throw against falling prone.

Also maybe some weird opposed check if you crash into an enemy.

Bulky and overcomplicated but it doesn't go so in-depth it starts considering yourself pushing yurself onto a different trajectory when you make an attack, so not too incredibly overcomplicated.
Also I think it's fair and balanced myself.
>>
>>50827697
>>50827436
Oh, I forgot. Slide speed is determined when you enter a sliding state, and can't be reduced after that unless you take.. I don't know, you use your regular non-slide movement to reduce sliding speed or something.
And also an enemy can, on their turn, reduce your slide speed by a lot if they hit with a melee attack.
>>
File: robothumbsup.gif (320KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
robothumbsup.gif
320KB, 160x120px
>>50827697
Thank you for indulging me, Anon.
>>
>>50827601
Wizards are supposed to be older due to intensive studies.

It's sorcerers that probably fit into the floppy haired faggot territory.

'How come fighters can critically fail? They're veteran soldiers!'
And yet sorcerers exist.

But you're a faggot if you use 'nat 1s are always critical fumbles / are always failures' anyway.

>>50827741
I thought I'd get a comment about 'But why do I have to be prone?! Now I'll get beaten up by all the melee combatants!'
>>
>>50827522
I gave it to a battle master. When I gave a similar item to a champion, I let it stack with the champion features.
>>
>>50827781
>But you're a faggot if you use 'nat 1s are always critical fumbles / are always failures' anyway.
reminder to play a halfling abjurer with lucky feat if your DM is a faggot who does this
>>
>>50827697
>When you enter a patch of ice, save as normal to remain standing. If you succeed, you may opt to willingly fall prone before the end of your turn; doing so slides you an extra distance equal or up to your speed in the direction of your last 10 feet of movement. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for entering or leaving an enemy's threatened area in this manner.

>If your sliding path would intersect an enemy, you can take the Attack action and replace one of your attacks with a special shove attempt. You have advantage on this roll. On a success, you may knock the enemy prone and deal 1d8+Str damage, or knock them prone and shove them backwards 15 feet; you continue your sliding movement regardless. If you fail to knock the enemy prone, you immediately stop moving. Either way, you end your turn prone.
>>
Wait, can you actually use Minor Conjuration to make a bucket of acid?
>>
>>50827860
That's a nice, neater format, though I worry a bit about giving specific attack rules while silding. It might cause somebody with a very good dex save (Say, barbarians have both high strength and have danger sense) to use, say, a low-level wizard's grease to make repeated attacks in that fashion. A barbarian also doesn't care about attacks having advantage against them because they use reckless attack anyway.

Maybe it'd be best to leave the attacks up to the DM on that matter. I'd at least say that standing up using half your speed (or only 5ft with a certain feat) should be possible at the end of a shorter slide in one turn.
>>
>>50827910
No. You can make a bucket, but not some acid, because that counts as a surface, not as an object.

In a semantic sense, "a bucket" is a thing, but "acid" or "milk" is just stuff. An uncountable noun.
>>
>>50827910
Any DM who isn't a retard will have ruled Minor Conjuration follows the same restrictions as spells like Creation and Stone Shape

>non-living vegetable (cloth, rope, wood) or mineral (stone, crystal, normal-fucking-metal-like-iron-not-mercury-or-arsenic-you-twat) matter only
>must be of a form and material that you have seen before
>can have up to two hinges and a latch, but finer mechanical detail isn't possible
>must be comprised entirely out of a single material because this isn't a level 5 spell
>>
>>50827834
But nat 1s on attack rolls ARE always failures.
>>
>>50827993
>>50828019
Thereby making sorcerer/warlock/sorclock objectively better.
>>
File: FeelsGoodMan.png (2KB, 30x30px) Image search: [Google]
FeelsGoodMan.png
2KB, 30x30px
>>50828019
>mfw Keygen the Observant 8 INT wizard is still playable by these rules
>mfw party's rogue is useless because i keep making keys
>>
>>50828068
>sorclock

Which is the best way to build this? I mean, which should you start in, when should you switch / switch back?
>>
>>50828059
>But nat 1s on attack rolls ARE always failures.
Could you tell me where this is written in the book, I couldn't find it
>>
Say you're in dire straights, can you eat your familiar?

Do Chainlocks have to pay 10gp to recreate their Familiar?
>>
File: 1481781347398.png (290KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1481781347398.png
290KB, 540x304px
>>50828118
Page 194, under Making an attack.
>>
>>50828118
pg 194 of phb, under "Rolling a 1 or 20"

"If the d20 for an attack is a 1, the attack misses regardless of any modifiers or the target's AC."
>>
I miss being able to hit a guy and send him flying and as he's flying run and hit him again before he even touches the ground, now combats are so fucking static, two guys hitting each other in the same square till one is knocked unconscious.

The only one able to do something similar is Open Hand monk but the way is worded only your last attacks can push far enough and if you aren't lucky you can't even run as he flies away to punch him again DBZ style.
>>
>>50828108
>sorclock
Don't be a munchkinfag

>>50828068
Uhhhhh, what
>>
>>50828146
bait alert
>>
>>50828153
>Don't be a munchkinfag

How's that?

>>50828153
>Uhhhhh, what

Previous thread, there was an argument about Cha vs Int casters
>>
>>50828153
>he thinks sorlock is OP
Kek
>>
>>50828146
>Battlemaster
>Warlock
>>
So this GM thats currently running our game seems to have a kill the PCs mentality, how can I change his mind?
>>
>>50828161
>He enjoys things different than what I enjoy? nah, it's impossible, must be bait
And I'm not even the guy
>>
>>50828146
Sorry, you're expecting air combos in a simplistic fantasy adventure game?
>>
>>50828171
>Battlemaster
Mmm didn't know that might take a look

>Caster
Well no shit, I meant martial style with punches and weapon swings not with gust wind, teleports and stuff like that
>>
>>50828134
>>50828140
So it's only a failure for attack rolls, and there are no side effects
>>
>>50828203
Warlocks can knockback 10 feet on each hit of their Eldritch Blast, no spells necessary. Repelling Blast invocation.
>>
>>50828224
>and there are no side effects
Yeah, that GMs might get imaginative
>>
>>50828232
>Eldritch Blast
>No spell
>>
>>50828059
Only on attack rolls.
>>
>>50828146
1. 5e is not designed for your anime wuxia fantasies.
2. If your combat is 'stand in the same square and attack until one person is unconscious' your DM is doing something wrong, or you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>50828232
Sorry anon, I read it 5 times and nowhere it says cantrips aren't spells, in fact it says they are.
>>
>>50826710
>Secondary target takes -1 fire damage.
>>
>>50827436
I mean... The easier way to rule would essentially be:

>While walking on smooth ice or other slippery terrain, you can choose to slide by falling prone. If you do so, you are not slowed by difficult terrain and you cannot stand up before the start of your next turn. If you trigger any opportunity attack while sliding, you can make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by the attacker's Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If you win the contest, they don't have advantage (or you could say they have disadvantage instead) on the attack roll.
>>
File: zap.gif (970KB, 389x216px) Image search: [Google]
zap.gif
970KB, 389x216px
>>50828254
Eldritch Blast isn't a spell, it's projected spirit energy, like chi beams.
>>
>>50828282
If I move I give them one oportunity attack, same with enemies, so yes, combat is fucking static RAW and RAI, also while should I blame my GM for playing the system as is presented to him?
>>
>>50826780
Well, you could get Scale for 14AC.
>>
File: pillarthrust.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
pillarthrust.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>50828282
>5e is not designed for your anime wuxia fantasies
he said, followed by "you/your DM is doing something wrong"

5E is whatever the fuck you want, Anon.
>>
>>50828300
1. Cantrips are spells
2. Projected ki beams are Sun Bolts and they don't push shit
>>
>>50828333
>1. Cantrips are spells

2. You are boring
>>
>>50828332
>Expecting to do something as a monk using an improvised weapon that deals 1d4+Str
>>
>>50828224
True. Some DMs are under the impression a natural 1 always means that some bad thing should happen. But when you run a game with a lot of combat you start to realize nat 1s are WAY more common than you'd think, and it slows down the game if you're having to come up with a side effect for every critical failure that happens when there's at least 10 every session.
>>
>>50828360
>he thinks wuxia heroes are all Monks
hoo boy
sit down, your deprogramming begins now
>>
>>50828359
RTFM, famalam, cantrips ARE spells
>>
>>50828375
Whatever class you're...1d4+Str on your improvised weapons.
>>
>>50828378
Only insofar as they can't be cast in anti-magic fields which suppress your chi or areas of Silence where you cannot scream your attack name (which is necessary to channel your chi)
>>
>>50828305
So, you're standing up next to one single enemy. You've got your allies hiding at the back with their bows and magic and shit.
Guess what you should do? Dodge.

Now, the enemy can keep attacking you and be unlikely to hit, or they can run towards your allies and take an opportunity attack, and possibly not even get in range of said allies.

Or, if you need to get away from the enemy, use the dodge action and then move. They're hardly likely to hit anyway.

If you're a rogue? You can disengage as a bonus action. Mobility or swashbuckler lets you disengage as part of an attack, effectively.

Your DM should also be presenting reasons you'd WANT to get out of melee range. Some monsters might have auras that trigger at the start of every turn. A more powerful monster might be running towards your teammates and you want to grapple them. Something like that.

You can also grapple and then shove your opponent if you think the fight will go on long enough and you're capable of it.

Your DM should probably give you items from time to time that might help. Say, a vial of holy water weakens a certain type of vampire, so you see if it'll work on this vampire too.

This isn't even getting onto environmental hazards / benefits.

Yes, a poor DM or boring class choice can force you into only a few options, but even then you could just pick a more interesting class or party synergy.
Then, if it's a super boring DM who doesn't even make fun classes fun, why are they even DMing?
>>
>>50828378
No, they're not, retardo.
>>
Anyone have the consolidated character options PDF

Can't see it in the Mega
>>
File: Well look at that.png (196KB, 601x231px) Image search: [Google]
Well look at that.png
196KB, 601x231px
>>50828417
>>50828420
Now is when you say "I was only pretending!"
>>
>>50828108
It's a meme build for level 5 characters that will never progress in level, or a choice for warlocks who realize they don't like being tied to short rests before they're level 3.
>>
>>50828419
>>50828305
Oh, right, some other reasons you might want to move:
>enemy caster creates environmental hazard
>enemy caster is concentating on a powerful spell
>your party decides it'd be better to grab the object they need and then run instead of fighting
>your party decides it'd be better to run and fight as you run
>you're getting seriously low on health, your party doesn't exactly have infinite healing supplies
>your attacks are particularly ineffective on this one creature, you'd be better off attacking this other creature
>you need to go stabilize a teammate/ram a healing potion down their throat
>you're using polearm mastery and want the enemy to trigger your reaction again for charging at you
>you're using booming blade and want the enemy to trigger booming blade by moving towards you
>you've restrained, shoved prone or otherwise found a way to slow an enemy, and have decided to back away so it won't be able to make a full attack on you next

And I forgot that you can also effectively disengage by shoving an enemy 5ft as part of one of your attacks (If you make three attacks and a bonus action attack as a fighter, you can make the bonus action and two attacks before shoving, I believe). This may even mean that if you move 30ft after shoving them they might not catch up to you.
Your DM may even allow you to disarm, or a battlemaster can even disarm a creature. After disarming, you can just move away. They might still try to punch you, but that'd do jack shit.
>>
>>50828420
Sigh... PHB, page 201:
>A cantrip is a spell that can be cast at will, without using a spell slot and without being prepared in advance. Repeated practice has fixed the spell in the caster’s mind and infused the caster with the magic needed to produce the effect over and over. A cantrip’s spell level is 0.
>>
>>50828531
But it doesn't use a spell slot, so who cares whether it's called a spell or a ki blast?
>>
>>50828525
Different guy but most of those are "fleeing from combat" not exactly dynamic combat though.

At least now you can move as long as you don't move away from your enemy so you can reposition yourself every turn which gives you a sense of dynamism.
>>
File: 165.jpg (42KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
165.jpg
42KB, 499x499px
I'm not really keen on homebrewing.
Through multiclassing or other options, what would /5eg/ think would be a good way to make something akin to an Enhancement Shaman from WoW?
>>
What's wrong about refluffing eldritch blasts as spears your character infuses with energy and throws?

Still force due to energy-infusion, range and other effects explained through energy and all that. Would be prevented through anti-magic features as usual because it relies on whatever energy.

Only issue is asking how they can throw four spears a turn at level 17.
>>
>>50828560
because a lot of things affect magic/spells, and ki is already a different thing used by a different class. but hey, it's your game.
>>
>>50828602
What makes an Enhancement Shaman a Enhancement Shaman, anon? give us something we aren't oracles that can discern what your babble means.
>>
>>50828602
Storm sorceror, also I'm sure someone has already done a warcraft shaman homebrew.
>>
>You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach.
Huh. So you can't if you're invisible or if they're blinded? I never realized that.
>>
>>50828614
>Only issue is asking how they can throw four spears a turn at level 17.

You mean at the level where others can stop time, turn into a mammoth and can backstab you so hard they'd kill the average person 4 times over?

Throwing spears really quickly seems trivial really - he's just that good at spearchucking
>>
>>50828602
Storm Sorcerer

Maybe Ancients Paladin with Magic Initiate for Booming Blade.
>>
>>50828574
Well, your DM can introduce flanking as per the DMG if it's really important.

But, I'd say only maybe half of those are fleeing. The other confer actual tactical benefits.

If you can shove an enemy with a 30ft speed 5ft away from you at the end of your attacks and then move 30ft away from them, you've just prevented the enemy from being able to walk up to you and attack you again.
You've just avoided all of an enemy's attacks, provided they aren't in range to go attack somebody else.
No, heck, even better - shove them prone then walk away. They have disadvantage to attack you, and then they have to spend half their movement to get up. Unless they're within half their speed of someone to hit, they'll have to make a ranged attack.

The real issue here is that depending on conditions it's quite possible some of the tactics won't work, such as if all your allies are melee fuckfaces or if your allies don't understand 'hide behind cover and shoot!'
>>
>>50820039
OOTA: My character is hellbent on killing Ghazrim Du'loc, finally got to him and now it's a race between my character and the rest of the party as they have questions for him.

I realize that we will likely fight him either way, but my character doesn't give two shits about their "quest" and before you say it, my group is pretty chill about this kind of thing, so there wont be any butthurt.

Since my character is an arcane trickster, this should be a pretty fun race.
>>
>>50828614
the same way a fighter can throw four spears a turn at level 17

because at level 17, 6 seconds is more than enough for a god of war

and to answer your main question: nothing. Refluffing is great.
>>
>>50828614
Spears don't give you disadvantage if you attack with them on melee
>>
Thinking of playing a Sorcerer. Shadow, Storm, and Favored Soul look really cool. Is there a consensus on which is best or most fun? And what Cleric Domain would be the best pick-up for a Favored Soul?
>>
>>50828625
Guy in leathers wielding two hammers or axes and imbuing them with the power of the elements (magic). They are capable of spellcasting (all elemental-based) but with a focus on melee combat.
>>50828636
I tried multiclassing a Storm Sorcerer and a Totem Barbarian but it turned out pretty shit.
>>
Was my DM being ridiculous here? He basically forced a TPK.
The party (11th level iirc) found a Roc's nest, killed a bunch of Baby Rocs, Mother Roc comes back, DM hints strongly we should run, Party says nah fight it
They start grappling with it, climb on it and shit. It starts flying away, rogue gouges it's eyes out, DM says well it was flying in this direction, so it crashes through the roof of this temple. It just so happens (shows us map) that it was the roof of the final Boss's room, some shadow dragon with magic darkness abilities. There were some puzzles we were supposed to solve to find a way to weaken it, and also were supposed to have a long rest before fighting it at all. Instead we're all half hp with dwindling spell slots. Inevitable TPK happens since we can't get out of the room.

Now what I'm wondering here, couldn't the DM have just not put us into the Boss's room? Gone ANY other direction? Crash into a hill side or anything?
>>
>>50828684
If you want to do magic damage with weapons, there's probably 2 levels of paladin and/or Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade access in your build for it to be good.
>>
>>50828656
The problem is that to do that normally you'd have to be a level 20 fighter.
What's to say the warlock now can't throw four spears like a level 20 fighter can?
I'd probably answer that like 'well, he clearly hasn't upped his strength, so even if he did try it'd be ineffective, so let him do what he wants'.

>>50828677
Then he can attack with them in melee, but he can't accelerate them to eldritch spear velocity if he attacks with them in melee and will do shitpoor effectiveness because of his crappy strength.

>>50828668
Maybe demigod of war if you're lucky, but certainly they should be able to after all that eldritch blast spamming.
>>
>>50828668
>Refluffing is great
Within limits, no shit like bare knucled naked monk who's actually full plated great sword wielding paladin
>>
Whats a reason for a Kenku to join a monastery of long death monks? Thinking they might learn the secret to flight through studying death?
>>
>>50828697

Yes, he absolutely could have.
>>
>>50828707
Fighters being shit is no reason to punish hardworking Warlocks
>>
>>50828684
Tempest cleric, probably with shillilagh
>>
>>50828697
Why does the final boss's roof have such flimsy architecture?

Honestly it sounds like the DM just covered up 'you fall and die due to fall damage' as 'you fall and die due to loldragons'
>>
>>50828712
A kenku decided to imitate some martial arts moves. A monk decided that the imitation was good enough to train.
>>
>>50828520
>he didn't take the Pact of the Z-Fighter or King Kai as his Patron
Baka
>>
>>50828735
Oh, and booming blade, possibly by being an elf
>>
>>50828684
Dual wielding and casting aren't friends in this edition.
As for what you're saying that's basically a Gish, ther're lots of Gishes in 5e. Try Cleric (Tempest, War, Nature) or even Land Druid. Ancients Paladin might be another good choice though he's less casty.
>>
>>50828680
Shadow is great, broken for multiclassing.
Favored soul is a bit too strong
SCAG storm is okay, UA storm is a bit too strong.
>>
>>50828680
Storm is the best and most fun, but Favored Soul is the most practical low level.
>>
>>50828707
>>50828677
Sorry, meant 'and if he attacks with them in melee without using eldritch blast tactics then he'd just be doing a normal spear attack which would suck for him and a normal warlock could do that anyway'

>>50828724
No, we must set everything to PHB Wrath of the Four Elements level according to 'Wrath of the Rule Lawyer Monk' standards.

>all archetype options are replaced with shit like pact of the blade
>>
>>50828778
>Shadow is great, broken for multiclassing.

I just read Shadow and I don't see this at all
>>
>>50828753
>Have to spend on Cha, Con, Dex and now Str too to use tavern brawler
Sorry, I don't cheat on stat rolls
>>
>>50828680
Both shadow and favoured soul are a bit overpowered compared to other sorcerer archetypes, but when you compare it to wizard it's honestly not really overpowered.

Play favoured soul if you were one of the faggots who wanted to be a bladelock. It's like bladelock, but better.
Play shadow if your demon lets you multiclass so you can be an absolute bitch. Or, otherwise, if everybody won't look at you like an edgelord for playing it.

Otherwise don't play sorcerer unless you're multiclassing.
>>
>>50828793
1st level feature of Shadow Sorcerer
Start as a Barbarian (Con save and Rage) now dip 1 on Shadow Sorcerer, you basically can't fucking die.
>>
>>50826944
You need to make a tree of everything that can happen (hit/crit/miss) and work backward from the end of the tree.
>>
File: dbzkinect2.gif (2MB, 450x252px) Image search: [Google]
dbzkinect2.gif
2MB, 450x252px
>>50828798
>Tavern Brawler
This is DBZ, not regular Dragon Ball
Familiarize yourself with the source material, retard, before you embarrass yourself further
>>
File: PunchGvV2.jpg (67KB, 580x422px) Image search: [Google]
PunchGvV2.jpg
67KB, 580x422px
>>50828842
>>
>>50828833
You know, this'll be hard to do on excel but it'll probably work.
I'll need an entire fucking sheet just to do one thing.

Still really goddamn hard when you consider all the calculations.
>>
>>50828793
The level 1 feature gives you free darkvision and you become insanely hard to kill. Not to mention the spells and 4! cantrips. At level 2 you get to cast darkness (that you can see through), a 2nd level spell for only 1 sorcery point, which you can get from a lv 1 slot. This makes you very hard to kill, and is amazing for martials because you get to cast darkness 5 times per long rest. If you go to level 3 you get metamagic and 2nd level spells.
>>
Wait, so Warlock doesn't add to your level for determining multi-class spell slots?
>>
>>50828825
>wizard is better than sorcerer
When will this meme die
>>
>>50828904
>you become insanely hard to kill
Not for a full sorcerer, sure, hard to kill, but not insanely becasue you don't have prof on Con.
>>
>>50828941
Sorcerers do have proficiency in Con saving throws though.
>>
>>50828941
sorcs have con prof
>>
>>50828915
It is though. Not saying sorcerer is bad, but wizard is better.
>>
>>50828914
No, because it doesn't use spell slots. It uses pact slots.
>>
>>50829127
Curses.
>>
>>50829026
How though anon

How
>>
>>50829304
Better spell list, more spells available to use per day, better class features.

Sorcerer doesn't suck though.
>>
Since I was given the courage to try, I've gone on to model 'savage attacker' on a spreadsheet through a more arduous way.

Here are my findings so far:

Average damage increase by using savage attacker on a random greatsword roll: 1.371914

Greataxe: 1.986111

Nothing unsurprising. It does mean, however, that if you have savage attacker and only one attack, a greataxe will deal more average damage than a greatsword.

Now to calculate all of this considering crits (4d6, 2d12, maybe even 3d12 for half-orcs/barbarians) and considering other attacks (You can only use savage attacker once per turn, and if you don't use savage attacker you might miss the attack you intended to use it on)

Looking somewhat plausible, however.
>>
>>50829332
Savage attacker is shit.
>>
>>50819763
Does anyone have any idea about balancing the final encounter of a campaign? I'm running a fairly generic "kill the dragon" scenario, but i was wondering what level i should pit the players against it, i really want it to be a very serious threat, and i don't think that the party is going to feel like they really won a tough battle against the dragon if it's at the same difficulty as most of the rest of the encounters i make.
>>
>>50829332
Woah, meanwhile +2 to Str rises your to Hit and damage by one ON ALL ATTACKS EVER
>>
>>50828894
The favored soul sorcerer has only one attack, eventually a bonus attack, right ? It's not that many computations.
>>
>>50829358
If you're a PAM champion fighter, it's actually pretty damn good.

You're rerolling 1d10s.
You crit often, which means 2d10s, which are even better to reroll than 1d10s.
You get to use savage attacker TWICE a round because you have reaction attacks.
You have many attacks, which allows you to take time in selecting which attacks you want to reroll (Wait until you roll a low number).

Of course, the solution there is to not go champion in the first place, but fighters in particular could see some use for it.

>>50829400
Yet you can only increase it up to 20, and variant human is only 1 less strength and grants a feat (Say, even if you don't get savage attacker you could get PAM which means later you'll have less feats you need, so you'll have a free feat to chuck on savage attacker)

The main reason I'm doing this is because of some bladelock versus sorcerer comparison and I wanted to approximate how much a free feat is worth.

>>50829414
They get extra attack at level 6.
>>
new
>>50829726
>>50829726
>>50829726

why the fuck did it have to get to 440~ posts before anyone thought it was time to make a new one
>>
>>50829741
Because it can still be used until it reaches page 9 or 10?
>>
File: 9.png (3KB, 221x38px) Image search: [Google]
9.png
3KB, 221x38px
>>50829752
it's not like there's a shortage of threads
>>
>>50829321
Sorcerer doesn't suck, but man is the spell list just awful.
>>
>>50829304
>how is wizard better than sorcerer
They have more spells to choose from. Wizards have 256 spells on their list, sorcerers have 164. Wizards have 34 exclusive spells, available to no other class. Sorcerers have NOT EVEN ONE. I mean, come on now. Every other caster class has exclusive spells, even bard has 4. How difficult was it to give sorcerer a handful?

Wizards can prepare more spells than the sorcerer can know at any given point in the game. And they can change their arsenal everyday, whereas the sorcerer can only on a level up.

Arcane Recovery, as in the ability to recharge your magical energy, was given to the class that studies their spellbook instead of the class that has magic literally "suffusing body, mind, and spirit". Shit, WotC. Biased much?

Sorcerers are far too limited in Sorcery Points to actually sustain themselves through the course of a standard adventuring day. They burn out their resources too quick, comparatively.

Wizards have straight up better class features. Compare the metamagic Careful Spell with the evoker's Sculpt Spell. Compare their 18th and 20th level features.
>Wizard's Signature Spell: You have two 3rd level spells always prepared and can cast them without spending a slot once per short rest each.
>Sorcerous Restoration: You regain 4 SP when you finish a short rest. To put in comparison, you need 5 SP to create one 3rd level slot.
>>
>>50821157
Yep
Thread posts: 444
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.