[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General: Not This Shit Again Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 49

File: mmgoblin.jpg (76KB, 605x326px) Image search: [Google]
mmgoblin.jpg
76KB, 605x326px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread: >>50819763

What would you guys think about having a place to put writefaggotry?
>>
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Smith's Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Levitate, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Leomunds Secret Chest, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them, others have seen him use a Secret Chest enchantment to keep a supply of snacks and food in. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>50829762
KOBOLD DRAGON HUNTING PARTY
4E IS BEST EDITION
BUGBEARMONT
GOBLINS
>>
File: Goblins_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg (133KB, 640x396px) Image search: [Google]
Goblins_-_Steve_Prescott.jpg
133KB, 640x396px
>>50829798
8 INT WIZARD
DIAMOND PICK AXE
>>
File: wipe this meme.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
wipe this meme.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>50829762
>>50829798
>>50829851
>>
File: 1478203541961.png (2MB, 1157x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478203541961.png
2MB, 1157x1080px
>>50829871
>whip this meme
as you wish
>>
File: Screenshot_142.png (584KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_142.png
584KB, 644x644px
>>50829871
>>
Can someone post that list of character options again?
>>
I'm a new dm and one of my players is playing a ranger and he's overshadowing all the other players. He does the most damage, and has pass without trace and jump to solve puzzles and avoid encounters. Im having a hard time challenging the party because he's in it. Any advice for nerfing rangers? Party is level 7 btw.
>>
File: Eels and Escalators.jpg (94KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Eels and Escalators.jpg
94KB, 540x304px
>>50829726
I'd be interested. It'd be nice to have, mostly because I enjoy reading random shit like this.
>>
>>50829947
Would it kill you to read the fucking books instead?
>>
Is there any way to play a class that does a lot of psychic damage? Even with a UA?
>>
>>50830010
UA - Mystic, take 2
>>
>>50829957
Lot's and lot's of small corridors with a lot of angles. Have fun shooting around corners.
>>
>>50829726
The only thing that really disappoints me about pathfinder/3.5e is how cucked the martial classes are in comparison to casters.

I've read up a little about the differences between 3.5 and 5e. BAB to me doesn't make any fucking sense. Would it be ok to rule that all attacks made by a character have the same attack bonus? I think it would be a buff that they sorely need.
>>
>>50830048
what the fuck?
>>
>>50830069
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/35180/base-attack-bonus-vs-actual-bonus-on-attacks

"Iterative attacks are at -5 attack bonus"
It's fucking weird
>>
>>50830099
Nigger, why are you talking about 3.pf in a 5e thread?
>>
>>50830099
Yeah it's better to just ignore that. It makes no damn sense.
>>
>>50830115
ya that's what I thought too. What a strange fucking design decision
>>50830114
because of OP's picture
>>
Is mounted combat worth it?

I kinda want to make a Cavalry character.
>>
>>50830125
>>50830114
my b
I guess it's the wrong thread I just saw the pic and wanted to say some random bullshit
>>
What is diamond pick axe?
>>
>how is wizard better than sorcerer
They have more spells to choose from. Wizards have 256 spells on their list, sorcerers have 164. Wizards have 34 exclusive spells, available to no other class. Sorcerers have NOT EVEN ONE. I mean, come on now. Every other caster class has exclusive spells, even bard has 4. How difficult was it to give sorcerer a handful?

Wizards can prepare more spells than the sorcerer can know at any given point in the game. And they can change their arsenal everyday, whereas the sorcerer can only on a level up.

Arcane Recovery, as in the ability to recharge your magical energy, was given to the class that studies their spellbook instead of the class that has magic literally "suffusing body, mind, and spirit". Shit, WotC. Biased much?

Sorcerers are far too limited in Sorcery Points to actually sustain themselves through the course of a standard adventuring day. They burn out their resources too quick, comparatively.

Wizards have straight up better class features. Compare the metamagic Careful Spell with the evoker's Sculpt Spell. Compare their 18th and 20th level features.
>Wizard's Signature Spell: You have two 3rd level spells always prepared and can cast them without spending a slot once per short rest each.
>Sorcerous Restoration: You regain 4 SP when you finish a short rest. To put in comparison, you need 5 SP to create one 3rd level slot.
>>
>>50830203
Fuck, meant to quote >>50829304
>>
>>50829974
Psh books who reads those animore amirite?
>>
>>50830136
Depends on the dungeon. If you're in an actual dungeon your DM may make it hard to replace a mount if they die, or impose area limitations (i.e. size-limited areas, places a mount can't cross but a player can) that can make it difficult for you. If you're doing a campaign aboveground mounts are great.

Revised Ranger Beastmaster Riders and Find Steed Paladins are the best options, since the steeds have their own combat capability and you can replace them if they die.
>>
>>50830256
>Revised Ranger Beastmaster Riders
>desire_to_know_more_intensifies.png
>>
>>50830271
Revised Ranger beastmasters can actually have decent companion animals that are size medium i think. So a Gnome could feasibly ride one.
>>
>>50830280
o shit nigga
>Kobold riding an angry Badger
>>
>>50830203
>34 exclusive spells, available to no other class
Bards
>>
>>50830271
All a mount requires is a willing mount at least one size higher, so as a Ranger Beastmaster, your beast qualifies. Small races can ride basically all the standard beastmaster options (panthers, black bears, wolves, etc.) but most DMs will probably be okay with letting you get a Riding Horse, since they're not that great in combat otherwise. The main draw over just buying a riding horse is that the UA beastmaster allows you to revive your animal companion with a bit of GP anywhere. Thanks to the revisions, your animal companion will also get ASI's just like you do, which also means that they scale a little better than Paladin find steeds (which only gain intelligence up to I think 10). They also gain a bunch of other cool shit like being proficient in all saving throws and I think two skill proficiencies of your choice, so you can get a Panther proficient in History if you want.
>>
>>50830291
>always advantage
>>
>>50830350
bard can learn 8 spell from other classes, so wizards would still have 26 exclusive spells
>>
>>50830291
>You normally select your companion from among the following animals: an ape, a black bear, a boar, a giant badger, a giant weasel, a mule, a panther, or a world.

Though admittedly if I were DMing a campaign with a BM Ranger i would allow any beast of 1/4th CR. If they pushed I would probably even allow something Non-beast of 1/4 cr if it was animalistic like a Blink Dog or Ixitxachitl.
>>
>>50830390
There is more than one bard in the world. And magic initiate.
>>
>>50830291
Find an animal with pack tactics, and both of you can have advantage. Or you can ride a Panther and have a 40 foot climb speed, a Vulture and take to the skies, or a giant poisonous snake with a swim speed.
>>
>>50830369
>Panther proficient in History
How would you go about justifying this?
>>
>>50830419
>or a world.
I meant wolf.
>>
File: Unicronplanet.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Unicronplanet.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
>>50830439
>THIS IS MY BEASTMASTER PET
>>
>>50830419
The UA has guidelines for other options. Medium or smaller, 15 or fewer hitpoints, no more than 8 damage in one attack were the recommended guidelines.

>>50830437
Human scholar who got true polymorphed by a powerful wizard a few years back. He and the PC are journeying together to undo the curse. Could explain why he gets along with a small humanoid he could otherwise eat in the first place
>>
File: Mr. Skeltal.jpg (871KB, 2047x2443px) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Skeltal.jpg
871KB, 2047x2443px
So is having a skeleton character strictly made for dooting angrily a good idea?
>>
>>50830495
You'll most likely get bored of just dooting in a few sessions and then try to find a way to kill your character.

Though I did chuckle at the idea of a skeleton Bard whose song consists of a single doot on a trumpet he doesn't know how to play.
>>
>>50830470
Anon who was considering a Dire Wolf from the other day, it'd actually be really easy to make a Dire Wolf just by the ASIs on a normal Wolf, since they're a lot more similar than I thought. In fact, they're nearly identical apart from ability scores and size.
The only issue then is that it's Large, and that's up to the DM to allow or not.
>>50830495
how do you plan to doot with no lungs
checkmate atheists
>>
Where would I look for for feats and additional feats? Also how do you deal with players cheating their rolls?
>>
>>50830350
Yeah yeah yeah, doesn't change my point. Maybe sorcerers should get a Magical Secrets feature at every even level, that might bridge the gap.
>>
>>50830555
>Where would I look for for feats and additional feats?

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/feats.html
>>
>>50830437
You know, it might be cool to play as a reverse druid (a sentient animal spirit that can wild shape into a human a few times a day) that's another character's mount or beast companion.
>>
>>50830531
No, it'd do other stuff. It's just that the only reason it's going to be a skeleton character instead of like a dwarf cleric is to be able to doot angrily.

The idea's actually advancing to the point where me and my friend are coming up with lore for why it exists.
>>
File: mountain3.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mountain3.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>50830574
Thank you have a wallpaper for your troubles. How do you guys deal with cheating? I'm thinking about just having the PC begin failing roles every once in a while as punishment and slowly rev up the punishments as to subtly tell them to cut the shit.
>>
>>50830620
What kind of cheating are we talking about here?
>>
>>50830470

>Kobold riding a Pteradon
>Goblin riding a Giant Wolf Spider
>Deep Gnome riding a Giant Frog
>Ghostwise Halfling riding a Giant Badger

My players are about to encounter some Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
>>
>>50830620
>as to subtly tell them to cut the shit.
don't be subtle, just tell the to cut the shit.
>>
>>50830620
Just make them roll in plain view of everyone.

And make everyone do it too, not just them.
>>
File: storytelling.jpg (698KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
storytelling.jpg
698KB, 1920x1200px
>>50830636
>>50830643
>>50830644
Just fudging his rolls when he blatantly fails. Thanks I'll be more direct.
>>
>Any +2 dex race (Elf, Halfling, Aarakocra, Kenku, Tabaxi, Goblin, Kobold)
>STR who cares
>DEX 15 (+2)
>CON 15
>INT 8
>WIS who cares
>CHA who cares
>Take Lightly Armored at 4 for 18 dex and studded leather
>2 in dex at level 8 for 20
>17 AC with studded leather
>Don't have to be a shitty dwarf
>>
>>50830203
I really have been wanting to play Sorcerer but it honestly feels like Wizard and Bard are just straight up better than it.
>>
>>50830576
>subtly tell them to cut the shit
Ooor you could just take them aside and outright talk to them about it. Let'em know you caught on to what they're doing and they must stop, otherwise what's the point of even rolling the dice? I once had a player who cheated on roll-fucking-20, let me tell you. All the rolls are saved in the chat log and you can check out the math at any moment. He would add proficiency to saves and checks and, if I'd let him roll his own physical dice, he "suddenly" would start rolling great.

I spoke with him privately and told him I was not stupid, and if he kept doing it then the monsters would also "suddenly" start always hitting him and succeeding on saves against his spells. If we're going to ignore the dice...
>>
First time rolling a Warlock in 5e, coming from 3.5. We're starting at 11th level. I'm a bit stuck on spell selection, but are there any real standouts on the Warlock list? When I look online, it seems a lot of people think certain spells are good just because they were good in 3.5, even if they're very different now. I've gone Archfey/Pact of the Tome, if it helps at all. Thanks!
>>
>>50830786
hex is an absolute must have, other people will tell you the most optimal spells but i'll advise you to choose spells with the most punch because of your limited spell slots
>>
>>50829974
The character option compilation that's been posted here frequently, that shows the options from like 10 different UAs, various adventures, and some homebrew. Is this your first time here?
>>
File: Savage Attacker.png (45KB, 1250x446px) Image search: [Google]
Savage Attacker.png
45KB, 1250x446px
I did it.
I fucking did it.

I've modelled savage attacker in excel, including the possibility of critting.
I was pretty accurate in my estimate. +1.5 if you have 2 attacks, +2 if you have three attacks.
The bonus increases as high as about +3 for three attacks if you have a 100% chance to hit, ot about +0.3 if you have only a 5% (crits only) chance to hit.

That said, this is only for greatsword. It's better if you have a greataxe and you're some half-orc fucker.

Either way, I was only trying to model what it would be like on a FS Sorcerer using a greatsword, and I've got that now.
>>
>>50830821
>I was pretty accurate in my estimate. +1.5 if you have 2 attacks, +2 if you have three attacks.
Savage Attacker can only be used once per turn.
>>
>>50830786
As a Warlock the only things you "need" are Hex and Eldritch Blast (Cantrip), you won't have many spell slots at all so you'll be relying pretty heavily on Eldritch Blast so get the Agonizing Blast Invocation and maybe the Repelling Blast one too if you want to knock enemies around like ragdolls.
>>
>>50830738
I know that feeling, anon. Don't let me discourage you from playing Sorcerer though, they honestly ARE a lot of fun. The most fun I've had in a one-shot was playing a wild sorcerer and I just haven't gotten around to playing him more because I'm a perma-DM. Even if they are not as good as wizard or bard (which are pretty much the most powerful classes in 5e), they're still awesome. That said, ask your DM if you could use pdf related.
>>
In this document that was fairly recently released it says that Lords' Alliance members can purchase a "Cloak of the Mountebank" for 500g and 50 downtime days. I presume they meant "Cape of the Mountebank" which is an item in the DMG. Thing is, it's a rare item that lets you cast Dimension Door once per day. The other rewards are all uncommon with abilities not as powerful... It's even listed in the "Uncommon Rarity" column. Anyone have any more information?
>>
>>50830844
Oh naive apple orchard tree child

You fail to understand that savage attacker's effective value increases for every attack made.

Of course, savage attacker's value can never be more than (Average roll)-(Lowest Roll Possible), but it'll eventually reach that if you make infinite attacks.
>>
File: sunset2.jpg (441KB, 3968x2232px) Image search: [Google]
sunset2.jpg
441KB, 3968x2232px
So Guys more questions from newfag DM. How would I make my 5e DM screen better? Like what could I add to it to make it have more important information?
>>
File: Capture.png (7KB, 404x109px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7KB, 404x109px
>>50830905
>>
>>50830890
>Secret Missions.
I'm not running AL, but I'm running published adventures and some of my players have joined the factions. Do you know where could I find those secret missions or factions activities and shit?
>>
>>50830923
It becomes more valuable because of the chance of rolling a low number. On one attack, if you roll a 12 on a d12, there is no reason to use savage attacker. With two attacks, you will have a higher chance to use it because your chance of rolling a low number on a d12 when rolling twice is higher
>>
>>50830947
They're tucked within AL modules. I luckily did Outlaws of the Iron Route (Season 1 DDEX1-9)for a Lords' Alliance one, and even got a +1 Longbow in the same game. Had no idea that adventure had those things.
>>
>>50830987
So there's no secret missions for the main storylines? Sounds weird that you have to play side-modules to have access to those...
>>
File: Savageattacker2.png (52KB, 1194x494px) Image search: [Google]
Savageattacker2.png
52KB, 1194x494px
>>50830923
>>50830821
Allow me to explain.

If you make one attack, you will use savage attacker no matter what. In this case, your increase in damage is, on average, [Chance to hit]*[SUM(Probability of rolling a number)*(Reroll Value)] + [Chance to Crit]*[SUM(Probability of rolling a number)*(Reroll Value)]

The probability of rolling a number is, for example, 1/36 chance of rolling a 2 with 2d6.
The reroll value is the average increase in damage you'll get for rerolling on that number (It's 5 if you roll 2, 4.0278 if you roll 3 and use savage attacker, and so on). Note that chance to crit refers to a completely different table that models 4d6 instead of 2d6, and is effectively better than using savage attacker on a 2d6.

That's all simple.
Then, what the second attack does is for every value, before adding the (Probability of rolling a number)*(Reroll Value) of every single possible damage roll it checks whether this would result in a better average damage increase than if you DIDN'T use savage attacker and saved it up for later.

tl;dr:
More attacks means more chances to roll a low damage / more chances to roll crits which have swingey damage, which means on average you'll make better use of savage attacker.
>>
>>50830890
>125 downtime days
Who the fuck has that many downtime days?
>>
>>50831007
I'm pretty new so I don't know. The most I've done in a book adventure (SKT) is levels 1-6 and our DM hasn't asked anyone for their faction.
>>
>>50830816
>>50830845

Yeah, that's on my list. Only frustration is the sheer amount of conflicting concentration spells. They *really* don't want you stacking shit in this edition. Otherwise, I can just cast Hex in the first combat encounter and keep it up all day, which sounds good. Strength disadvantage looks like the most useful in combat, by far. It's a shame that maintaining concentration is a Con save, rather than a check, or Hexing other casters would be delightful.

I think taking Repelling Blast, plus Hunger of Hadar could be pretty entertaining. I'd just like some control/utility that didn't take concentration, if that isn't too much to ask.
>>
>>50830821
>>50831014
So it's still shit
>>
>>50831007
>>50831024
Come to think of it, Storm King's Thunder has been really fucking chintzy on the loot, renown, and downtime. It rockets you up in levels but gives you little else. In AL you can definitely farm the modules for a while before hitting lv 5 and end up going in to T2 fairly well off.
>>
>>50831068
+2 strength is almost always better if you can get it. Savage attacker is actually better if you have a higher hit chance.

However, there are conditions that make it more viable, so the more of these you fill in the better savage attacker is:

1. Enemies are easy to hit.
2. You attack outside of your own turn. E.g. reaction attacks from PAM, sentinel or in general.
3. You use a 1d12 weapon.
4. You have a high crit chance (advantage / champion / something else)
5. Your strength is already 20.
6. You make a lot of attacks.
7. You already have a bonus attack, and thus don't need a feat that gives you a bonus attack as much.
8. You have plenty of extra feats (See: Fighter)

On a different subject,
GWF both helps and hinders it. It both increases the average damage (which means more value if you roll low and use savage attacker) but also decreases the chance of rolling low. So, unless you make tonnes of attacks it probably doesn't work well with GWF.

Overall, it's pretty niche but it does have builds where it would be useful.
>>
>>50830909
For mine, I just bought the official one, then I'm gonna keep a notebook with all of my campaign information. For added stuff, I might add some things about encumbrance, recurring NPC's so I don't have to flip through my notebook too often, shit like that. There's also this video that might help.
https://youtu.be/YRMVTmbe-Is
>>
Assuming Point Buy, how much do UA Rangers need their ASIs?

Wondering if I should go Variant Human for Magic Initiate or pick it up at 4.
>>
>>50831234
I dunno...UA rangers seem pretty decent as is, i wouldnt imagine needing to buff it.

Also which Magic Initiate were you thinking of taking?
>>
>>50831234
I'd think a beastmaster doesn't care much.

A hunter probably might want sharpshooter or something, which also means you want high dex for higher +to hit. And possibly also crossbow mastery, which would benefit from +to damage, unless they start using volley in which case they probably would be using a longbow instead.

I'd say:
BM doesn't care.
Hunter would really rather get sharpshooter and have dex to 20 ASAP, especially for once they get volley.
Deep stalker would be better off with 20 dex and sharpshooter but they don't care as much as hunter.
>>
>>50831277
Wizard with Mold Earth, Mending, and Find Familiar (Owl)
>>
>>50830890
I thought I had it figured out when I looked up Ring of Mind Shielding, an uncommon item. I figured they just mixed up the columns. But then I saw that Ring of Warmth for the Order of the Gauntlet is also uncommon. Yet the other faction rings are rare... For that matter, Order of the Gauntlet's uncommon item, Cloak of Protection, is actually uncommon.

What the fuck? I really hope they don't write errata. I already have a Ring of Mind Shielding from Volo's 6. There is NO WAY I would drop 5,000g on that shit.
>>
>>50830738
The fact that wizard and bard are better than sorcerer does not mean sorcerer fails at playing the system. You're not playing against other classes. Sorcerer is still an upper-tier class.
>>
Are there any items besides a Driftglobe that have sunlight as an effect? My party's a little bit low level, but they're probably going to end up diving into a Drider's den and I want to give them a bit of an edge so they don't all die at once
>>
>>50831298
I would say just do w/e is most fun. If you have more fun in combat, go with the ASI. if you have more fun outside of combat with Utility stuff, go with Magic Initiate.

Which subclass?
>>
>>50830419
I'd do it just as any common animal that would live in their background environment.
>>
>>50831395
As a PC I would request to go on a quest to find a specific animal companion.

>hit level 3
>pick beast master
>has a dream about a certain kind of animal
>goes on quest to find animal soul mate
I MUST FIND THE GIANT BADGERS! IT IS MY DESTINY!
>>
>>50830845
Don't get hung up on Hex. By level 11, 1d6 per blast isn't uniformly better than other spells available to you. Misty Step and Dimension Door are useful for getting yourself out of jams. Banishment automatically effecting 2 targets or Fly automatically effecting 3 targets are worthwhile uses of concentration if you back away from DPR as the be-all end-all measuring stick of usefulness. Greater Invisibility from the archfey list is a powerful buff since it doesn't break on damage.
>>
>>50831393
Beast Master, I'm the previous Anon who was making a Wolf rider.

I'm thinking either Variant Human or Half-elf, maybe Half Elf (Drow) for backstory, but I'd rather not be the cliche "totally not evul guise" Drow type character so I feel it'd need some work to not be shit.
>>
>>50830947
I use https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_f0ehA3p7jleUVObmQzUUVKQ0E/view
it hasn't been updated since midway through season 3, but it's a good way to get ideas. I sent half my players through 1-11 and the other half through 1-12, but the ironic thing is the Enclave members fit the pyramid better, and the Zhantarim members fit the marsh better. The secret missions are pretty boring anyway, one was literally just "we sent a rogue here but havent heard from them, look for a dude with a ring of message" and then they find him with the finger cut off, fight one encounter of random no names who killed him, and then continue on with the actual adventure.

What I did is swap the backstory of the intros a bit, so in the marsh the zhentarim were hired by a member of the merchant's guild to retrieve something, while the pyramid's weird nature-fucking-up effects got the enclave to send people there to fix it. It honestly made more sense.

I do feel that factions aren't supported as much as they could be, and try to be pretty creative in between sessions to give players faction-related stuff to do that furthers their main quest.
>>
>>50831478
A Half-Elf Drow would be Half Human Half Drow?

What is your idea for backstory, maybe we can tell you if it is really cliche?
>>
More new DM question(s)
About how long should I make quests (in hours or in sessions)
How should I handle the advancement of scope for PC quests? I don't want to give them the whole world on the shoulders at level one but generally when is a good time for transitioning?
How much of a quest should I have planned out based on how long it is?
>>
>>50831624
Oh, and how much should I have NPCs/DMPCs around in case the players are too dumb to get something? Either relevant information or just general fluff
>>
>>50831624
All those questions are the product of over-thinking. Each of them requires a feel for the group of people you're DMing for to answer. Accept that you'll need to learn your players' preferences over time.

Just getting a chance to play a character is special enough for most people that they're not going to worry about how special your campaign is. Good players will accept a new DM's growing pains.
>>
>>50831555
It's still in the really rough stage.

>Chaotic Good UA Ranger
>Typical hardass Bounty Hunter
>Most people assume he's bad news because they're always taking high paying jobs and generally off doing dangerous things for cash so most people assume they're a greedy fuck, and if I pick Half Drow that'd be part of it since I assume people would be just as if not more suspicious of a Half-Drow as of Half-Orcs

Still undecided

Maybe, depends on what statblock I take
>Rather than hoarding their cash like most people think, they're spending it on medicine for their sick/poisoned/cursed Dire Wolf (Since it's using normal Wolf statblock and is still weak)

and either
>They're actually using their cash to keep the orphanage they grew up at afloat financially, since it's the closest thing they had to a family growing up (Even moreso if Half Drow), their Wolf is the closest thing to a living family member they have
or
>They're using all their cash to pay for medicine for a sick/poisoned/cursed child/wife/family/etc, potentially they're afflicted by the same thing that's affecting their Wolf
>>
>>50831717
Forgot to add:
The entire thing is pretty cliche, so I was thinking adding "boo hoo muh racism" on top would be a bit much.
>>
>>50831777
To be honest, an over-the-top tearjerker is almost as bad as being too edgy.
There's nothing wrong with being a hardened bounty hunter that spends his gold on hookers and blow.
>>
File: IMG_0283.jpg (83KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0283.jpg
83KB, 500x707px
Is there any gigeresque races?
>>
>>50831717
Just send money back to (still-living) dad (not mom since she's a bitch ass drow) and keep it at that. You don't need to be too sad with it.
>>
would it upset balance between races if every race got a free feat, and V.Human and normal human were combined in response?

So theyd get the +1 to all stats and would get a free skill i believe and free feat
>>
>>50831813
Eh, that's true, and I don't much want it to be a tearjerker thing so much as them doing it just because they think it's the "right" thing to do. I didn't say they spend ALL their gold on that shit after all, they could just as easily buy themselves booze every night.

You can grow up in an orphanage and not be an emo fuck after all.

I was also considering doing something like >>50831875.
>>
>>50829947
>>50830820
This is the alt version, you can also search past threads probably, he tends to post it every time.
>>
>>50831814
What is that race on the astral plane? I can't quite remember if they are or not. If they aren't something definitely should be, even if its just some far realms shit.
>>
>>50831179
So you're basically looking at it for a half-orc berserker with already maxed strength who doesn't have to worry about exhaustion from Frenzy.
>>
Are there any races that work interestingly with Forge Cleric? Trying to think of something interesting to play at low level, DM is running what will probably be a one-off but still wants us to start at lv 1
>>
>>50831624
I would say have a quest at level 1 be 1 session and have your players level up at the end of it. Keeps things exciting.

After that I would say keep them around 2-3 sessions long. My party and I have been in 1 dungeon for 3 sessions, we just got out, and for 3 sessions before that we were doing the start of the quest. It was just too much. I was kind of sick of it by the time we got out. Though admittedly we were trapped in the dungeon, no way out except by finishing it.

Just a tip, never do that as a DM. It is not fun for players to be stuck in a dungeon. How, over the course of 10 combats in a dungeon, is a wizard supposed to manage with that? It isn't a smart idea to take long rests in a dungeon. I was out of spells pretty quickly

But yea, 2-3 sessions. If 2 sessions, try and divide content easily so they encounter the start of the quest at the beginning of the first associated session and have them complete the quest right at the end of the second associated session.
For a 3 session adventure I try and make it so most of the final session involved is the turning in of the quest. I think players really enjoy the "outcome" of their endeavors. I try and show them how everything around the quest was changed or effected by them completing the quest.

I would, admittedly, recommend a pacing like this :
>Level 1
1 session for 1 quest, players level up at the end of session 1.
>Level 2
1 session for 1 quest, player's don't level up yet
I think this gives a sense of being a higher level
"What we did last time isnt enough...we need greater challenges!"
Then do a 2 session adventure and have then get to level 3 at the end of that maybe.
>Level 3
This is when i do something special. Most classes Subclass at level 3, and i try to provoke my players to go on a special quest to get their third level powers. I usually hold off on them getting 3rd level features till this is complete. Such as a Ranger finding an Animal Companion or a Paladin taking their Oath.
>>
>>50831421
For average accuracy, 1d10+5 with advantage is more average damage than 1d10+1d6+5 without advantage, so Darkness, Faerie Fire, Greater Invis, basically anything that gives advantage is an alternative to Hex.
>>
>>50830454
Pssht, like Unicron is a better pet than Jupiter. Who would even use anything other than Jupiter?

>inb4 b-but muh moon

Fuck off, go play some narrative games if you don't want to play a well-built character.
>>
I'm thinking of doing a Rogue/Bard thing but I'm not sure what's the most efficient way to split it up would be.
>>
>>50831897
I'd say a half-orc barbarian with PAM and 3 levels in fighter for champion.

Almost a 1/5 crit chance, at least 3d10 on crits (4d10, 5d10 later) and maybe your DM will even give you tunnel fighter. Or, I don't know, but I'll do a table to see how a 1d10 weapon interacts with both GWF and savage attacker at the same time in a moment.
The fact you have +Rage damage to each attack makes GWM a bit less viable in comparison, and PAM already gives you a bonus attack. You also have a reaction attack.

And it's actually a viable build, unlike berzerker. You even have a goddamn action surge.
>>
>>50831901
Warforged Forge Cleric. Forge yourself into a machine of battle! Like...i would theme it as the character literally spends time forging and reforging pieces of his own body.

>>50831624
Continued from >>50831928
Though this is all personal. I like fast punchy campaigns. And usually all my small adventures are tied together somehow in a vague way that the players only realize until after they complete them

>Oh man that Hobgoblin Warlock from session 1 was totally from this Goblin Empire who rebelled and stole an artifact to build his own army to take over the empire.

>How should I handle the advancement of scope for PC quests?
Level 3 seems to be a good time to handle a major villain of a small area. Like an evil necromancer who is harvesting corpses from the nearby villages for his flesh golem. Something the Baron puts a large bounty on, but not something he would send his Elite Knights to deal with.
Then around 5-6 have them fight the second in command of the BBEG.
>The Dark Sword, first hand to the King of Crystaline Shadows
After they defeat him and learn that the Dark Sword is just a puppet, they go on a quest to stop this evil guy. Maybe pace it out for them to get to the BBEG at level 10? Beyond that, i dunno.
I run a very "Final Fantasy" esque game though.
>We need to collect the Moon's Tear Amulets before we can survive the King of Crystaline Shadow's Whip of Chaos
>We need to get an airship to reach his floating Citadel of Mirrored Hatred
>etc etc

>How much of a quest should I have planned out based on how long it is?
I make maps and write down NPC motivations and names. Then i roll on tables for random enemies, but decide beforehand where the players are going to find them. I try to wing it as much as possible. You can't account for where players are going to go, maps and fleshed out NPC ideas are the hardest thing to improv imo.
>>
>>50831179
So as a feat you will get it after maxing strength and then whatever weapon feat you want (and it's much worse than others for PAM which has 2 feats to make use of after the essential one), either as a fighter who has run out of other stuff to take (unlikely) or barbarians who also ran out of stuff to take (+1 initiative, AC and dex save or +2 damage each turn? And that assumes having maxed out Con as well as Str). It's a bit of damage, sure, but that's not the only thing you want. It cannot trump GWM, PAM and even the non-essential combat feats like sentinel and medium armor master. Dual Wielder gives +1 damage and +1 AC and is often skipped for better things IME. I still don't see a place for this outside of rolling absurd stats.
>>
>>50831901
A Warforged Forge Cleric-Monk might work if you convince your DM that the Composite Plating (+1 AC) racial trait makes a Warforged's body as armor.

Now with unarmed defense you can get 12 + Wis + Dex, the former of which will probably be high anyway since it's your spellcasting modifier. If you want to go super munchkin you can try to convince your DM that your metal-and-wood fists qualify as weapons too so that you also get the magical weapon bonus.
>>
>>50832029
Bard 20 / Rogue 0
or at most
Bard 18 / Rogue 2

because honestly, what would you want past bonus action withdraw?
>>
I want to add a world breaking event to my campaign. I'm talking wreck civilization, disperse humanity, and return the world to ruin. Any ideas?
>>
>>50832182
Tarrasque
Fiendish Invasion
Celestial Invasion
Wizards dicking about
>>
>>50832182
What sort of flavor are you looking for cause we can suggest shit out the ass but never even hit near what you want.
Natural or magical?
Caused by a single person or a faction or by nobody in particular?
Possible to fight or not?
Grey Goo rat swarm
>>
>>50831936
Not to mention that Faerie Fire has that benefit for the party, and Darkness and Greater Invisibility come with defensive benefits.
>>
>>50832112
I wouldn't undervalue it so much. It's a potential +4 or +5 or maybe even +6 damage per round for the set-up I mentioned before. That's much better than, say, +2 dex which would only give extra AC if your stats are already incredibly high and while the +1 dex save / +1 initiative / stealth etc is nice, it's not quite as nice as raw damage on a barbarian who's already too tanky for their own good simply by being a barbarian.

I can't shovel out the figures to compare it to GWM right now, but I'll get around to it in the future.

Personally I would give savage attacker some extra little feature to make it not only more generally useful, but also more interesting. However, that guy who said 'I offered a choice of specific feats like savage attacker, 3 skill proficiencies or this or that and players only went for skill proficiencies' sounds like they have players who don't realize how much it's really worth. Yes, it's a really boring feature, but if you're the one guy who's there to stand up front and shovel high damage numbers out it will have times it will be useful.

A fighter can easily get 20 strength, PAM, Sentinel, Lucky, perhaps GWM if they want it AND savage attacker, though that's some very late-level stuff.

The deal with comparing it to GWM is GWM is a bonus attack (conditional +3 damage per damage die to PAM bonus attack) and optional -3/-2/-1/+0/+1/+2/+3 etc damage per attack depending on hit chance.

SA would be great on paladin if they had more ASIs.
>>
>>50829762
Swap out smiths tools for Brewers kit.
Swap out Leomunds for Fabricate.
>>
>>50832196
Thanks, I'm brainstorming hardcore at this point and I'd love every suggestion. I'm pretty sure I don't want it to be divine though.

>>50832208
I'd prefer magical, like an errant powerful mage wrecking shit without understanding the consequences, but I am too new to this to really work a method of how this would be done out of the rules.
Either/and/or

Impossible to fight. I'm not giving my PC's a chance to fight this. I just want to take my world, the world they are accompanied to, and turn it into something alien and strange.
>>
>>50831895
Gith?
>>
>>50832522
Accidentally merging planes
Fucking with the planes in general
Accidentally waking up the Far Realm.
Opening a time portal to something, something illithids.
Dragons
Zombies
Giants
Giant dragon zombies
Owlbear (or any magical beast) reproductive rates skyrocket, gain intelligence, form communities
Sapient undead does literally anything
God/Archfiend wakes up/breaks bindings
>>
File: Capture.png (205KB, 1145x441px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
205KB, 1145x441px
>>50832522
Meteor Storm gone wrong, a Wizard accidentally pulls a meteor the size of Manhattan through.

Nuclear Winter without the Nuclear. or with it if you argue the meteor is from squid monster space and dust from it's impact has mutagenic properties. Or the meteor IS a squid monster from space.
>>
>>50831888
Sure, wouldn't really break anything (though it would make the party more powerful than normal), but then probably no one would ever pick human when all the other races get a lot of cool stuff AND the feat on top.
>>
>>50832112
It's better than polearm master if you don't intend to take gwm or sentinel and use a great axe because it lets you use your bonus action for other things which is relevant for strength rangers and barbarians.
>>
>>50831895
Githyanki
>>
>>50832522
Illithid

Faerie Courts

Planar travel
>>
Would you let a player take Thieve's Cant as a language in chargen or is that strictly Rogues only?

For example, a City Guard who has to deal with thieves a lot or a detective that's hunting for evidence would pick it up for their work.
>>
>>50831928
>3 sessions to go from level 2 to 3
Nah, dude. You wanna get to 3rd as fast as possible. Your suggestion goes way too slow. I'd say 1 session to level up to 2nd, one more to level up to 3rd, then you start pacing out the levels a bit more, it might take 2 or 3 sessions to get to level 4, and 3 or so more to 5, etc. But I like your idea of special side-quests to get to 3rd, though it wouldn't make sense for a few classes.
>>
>>50832655

Strictly rogue's only.
>>
>>50832158
Uncanny Dodge is quite nice, there's also the sneak attack upgrades, and some of the archetypes are a bit flavorful (Swashbuckler, Inquisitive, etc). I was thinking 5 Rogue, the rest in Bard but I'm still unsure.
>>
>>50832655
At most I would just let them know one or two words or phrases. Enough to give them a plot hook without being privy to too much.
>>
>>50832655
Personally I wouldn't. What good is a secret language if any swinging dick city guard knows it? Now a former city guard level >2 that's no longer in his home region and has gone undercover in the thieves guild to pick up at least a level of rogue? Absolutely appropriate.
>>
>>50832655
I'd give it to them if their background suitably justifies it, but they'd have to make an int check with proficiency whenever it's involved to understand it, DC varying depending on the nature of it (typically 10 or 15, 20 for certain things).
>>
File: 209913-thumb.jpg (60KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
209913-thumb.jpg
60KB, 600x338px
>>50831555
>Half drow
>White hair
>Spooky eyes
>Can grow a beard
>pale if not purple

Seems familiar.
Maybe I should make a Geralt clone using it.
>>
>>50832655
Yes, if their background justifies it, and in place of a language they would otherwise be entitled to know.
>>
>>50832852
Yeah I meant instead of taking, say, Dwarvish. I figure learning a code in common can't be much more advanced than learning a whole different language.
>>
>>50832875
Who is going to teach you and why?
>>
>>50832900
Hey Quintuple murder, give me the code and i forget you exist, hand you a bindle of shit and you can live as a cunt somewher else, don't give me the code and you hang.
>>
>>50832900
You know this happens in real life anon. Gangs have code words which the police know.
>>
>>50832900
That depends on your background. You could be a detective who learned it from shady types out of necessity, a spy from another country taught it so they can more effectively glean information in foreign lands, an unsavory Merchant who's got ties to the underworld, a Bounty Hunter who learned it to more effectively find their quarry, a Cleric of a Trickery god who learned it to more effectively bambooze people, or hell just a bored noble who paid some sap off the street to teach them. There's a gorillion reasons someone would learn it, and taking one level in Thief magically giving you knowledge of how to speak it is a bit silly.
>>
File: p162564_p_v8_ag[1].jpg (442KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p162564_p_v8_ag[1].jpg
442KB, 960x1440px
>>50832922
You're level 1, you don't have that much leverage and you aren't going to use a code that was designed to thwart you and your buddies in a fortnight.

A better option would be to take the level of rogue and pretend to be a guard, pic related.

>>50832957
Yes, gangs have code words that police know. Green beat cops aren't minted with communicative knowledge of the very language of the entire underground.
>>
>>50832988
aren't going *to learn* to use
>>
>>50832988
If you're a level 1 Fighter you're already considerably stronger/better trained than a "green beat cop", so it's entirely possible that your level 1 character is a grizzled experienced veteran guard.
>>
>>50832988
Level 1 adventures generally are individuals whose life experience already distinguishes them from 99 percent of the population. A guard having experience dealing with criminals is totally in line with level 1.
>>
>>50831083
>farm modules
Everything wrong with AL in two words.
>>
>>50832988
Also, the more widespread a language is, the harder it would be to keep a secret. Thieves cant works everywhere. It is an open secret.
>>
>>50832522
An evil star blows up the entire planet, and the party is rescued by astral sailors. Welcome to Spelljammer.
>>
>>50833062
This anon's Beastmaster pet shows up. >>50830454

The Spelljammer ship is Optimus Prime.
>>
>>50833010
>>50833019
Is fighter really that much better than warrior in 5e?
>>50833039
Eh, there's a difference between knowing there is a thieves cant and when someone is using it and knowing thieves cant.

I wouldn't allow it without a really good backstory but that's just me.
>>
>>50833112
Glad you don't dm then!
>>
>>50833112
>Is fighter really that much better than warrior in 5e?
5e assumes PCs are special and that class levels are rare to non-existent for NPCs.
>>
>>50833120
I do, but not for you. A player's lack of backstory isn't my problem.
>>
>>50833112
Fuck you sound like a whiny bitch.

Thieves cant is the same as druidic imo, outsiders don't get taught it.
>>
>>50833135
So how do NPCs have skills or languages?

>>50833163
If you're hearing things that you think I'm saying then you should probably seek qualified medical assistance.
>>
>>50832667
Depends on the Subclass I think. A Champion Fighter doesn't need a special sidequest. But i'd have one if they wanna become an Eldritch Knight.

I'd still give them the regular progression of HP and w/e extra spell slots and/or new spells they'd get for level 3. They just dont get the subclass features until they do something that makes sense for them to beable to do. I'm not gonna have some Fighter in my group never touch and/or show any interest in anything related to the arcane arts, and then suddenly at 3rd level he has the ability to use that shit.

Not that i would ever place restrictions on my players. I would learn the classes they are playing, it isn't that hard to keep track of what levels they are at and then just check what they get when they get their next level. Admittedly I know most of the classes well enough as is. Really only Cleric, Wizard, Druid, and Sorcerer are not based on 3rd level.

I think most classes have a "natural progression" subclass, like Champion, Berserker, Open-Hand, and Hunter. I think the argument could be made for Thief, Assassin, Battle Master, Moon Druid, and any Pact Boon to be unrelated to any quest. Maybe even Wizard schools cause I see that more as an early level area of study. You only need to show an interest in Divination to beable to specialize as a Diviner.

I would request players who wanted to play Eldritch Knight, Land Druid, Paladin, Deepstalker, Beastmaster, Shadow Monk, 4Winds Monk, Totem Warrior, Arcane Trickster, to do some kind of quest. They don't need any kind of reason beyond "This is what i want to specialize in" cause I would reason that their character would want that too. But for a Paladin the quest is as simple as "Go to X location and swear your oath". Totem Warrior might go on a Spiritual Vision Quest. Land Druid would have to go to where they want to be a land druid of and commune with those spirits. Beastmaster just needs to do the appropriate encounter to get a companion. Etc etc
>>
>>50833138
The first post posited a viable back story. I pity your group.
>>
>>50833210
I set a higher bar than you. I also don't attempt to insult you because you run your game differently than I run mine. Save your pity and devote your efforts to thinking about it.
>>
>>50833190
>So how do NPCs have skills or languages?
You don't build NPCs like you build PCs. NPCs have just enough to make them useful for their CR.
>>
>>50833190
>So how do NPC's have skills or languages {if they don't have class levels}
>If you aren't a seasoned warrior, a savage berserker, a holy oathsworn, a student of nature magic, a student of nature magic, a student of faith magic, a magical performance artist, etc, you can't know languages or be skilled in Abu way.

Never dm.
>>
>>50833271
Race and background
>>
File: Capture.png (33KB, 406x407px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33KB, 406x407px
>>50833112
A city guard compared to a Level 1 Human Fighter.

>Assuming "average" point buy, ignoring things from backgrounds.

STR 14
DEX 14
CON 14
WIS 13
INT 13
CHA 13

12 hp
19 AC (Chain Mail +Shield +Defense style)
Longsword (+4 to hit, 1d8 Slashing)

Abilities-
Second Wind
On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Fighting Style: Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
>>
>>50833315
>CR 1/8
>so 8 to be a CR 1 encounter
>You need two fucking guards to be an equal match to a level 1 PC (though really not because lvl 1 fights are so fucking swingy)
>>
>>50829888
Can somebody explain the Bugbearmont thing to me?
>>
>>50832655
I'd allow it. Bounty Hunter, Criminal, or Urchin variant, replace Thief's Tools with it.
>>
I'm running Rise of Tiamat and there's a dungeon room with the following ~puzzle~:

>"The smell of incense fills this room, and rich tapestries cover the walls. If [...], an unfamiliar voice is heard to whisper as they enter this area: “Humility proffered in the manner of Mystril shelters those opening the way to seeking knowledge.” A successful DC 15 Intelligence (Religion) check reminds a character of a holy gesture among adherents of the fallen goddess Mystril, involving turning the head downward and raising the hands as if holding a lamp. Characters who make this gesture while opening the double doors to the north can pass without difficulty." Characters who don't, awaken a bunch of mummies.

I want some help to turn this into a real puzzle, something to challenge the players and not the characters, cause I've no idea how. Sure Religion checks might give hints or something, but I'd rather if they had to actually think instead of just me giving the answer if they roll well. How do I do this?
>>
>>50833353
>CR 1/8
>so 8 to be a CR 1 encounter
That's not how that works. There's no such thing as a "CR 1 encounter," encounters are of four difficulties based on XP thresholds. 8 guards would be a deadly encounter for a standard part of four 1st-level PCs. Read the DMG.
>>
>>50833353
I'd put my money on the fighter against two CR 1/8 guards.
>>
>>50833361
Bugbear gets +5ft reach with melee weapons, therefore a Bugbear Battlemaster Fighter with a whip using lunging attack can hit from 20ft away, and that's funny.
The Belmonts are a clan of vampire hunters from the Castlevania series of videogames, known for their use of whips.
>>
>>50833431
Jesus christ, this is what I get to not knowing shit about Fighters
>>
File: sneeki breeki.jpg (44KB, 322x400px) Image search: [Google]
sneeki breeki.jpg
44KB, 322x400px
It's occurred to me that pretty much 70% of my characters have the generic "cloak with hood". What's some other options for protection against the elements, ideally with some form of anonymizing element like a hood? Or should I just make the next character with one anyway because they're popular for good reason?

I can't really see my generic fantasyland character wearing much else to protect them against the elements, it's not like hoodies and parkas exist.
>>
>>50833271
I can understand that for fodder NPCs like the gross majority of city guards, but I can't imagine having a world full of paper cutout NPCs that were mostly useless until the party happened along to make them useful.

I've always subscribed to 'the PCs should always be the most important characters in the story, but rarely the most important characters in the world' school.

>>50833307
Too late. I also did not say anything that you implied in that entire second line of text.

>>50833315
That's about what I expected.
>>
So I might be running some non adventurers league stuff for players who have only played adventurers league stuff in faerun. Any tips?
>>
>>50833483
Heavy coat and big floppy hat?
>>
>>50832667
This is more or less how I handle it. One session to get from 1st to 2nd, one or two to get to 3rd, and then just sprinkle out levels where they feel dramatically appropriate. Finished an arc of the campaign, rescuining the son of the thieves' guild from the crimelord-turned-revolutionary? Sure thing, get a level and a nice fat cache of loot. Dealt with some crooked guards? Some prestige with the guard and some payment but no level.

Then again, my players also aren't super finicky about experience points, gold points, and horse points, so we're generally cooking more for the story than the spreadsheet.

Generally leads to players leveling...
>After the first session
>After the second major combat at level 2
>Every three or so sessions from there, with sessions generally 1:2 combat encounters and roleplaying / skill shit.

Currently party's basically a cleric, rogue, warlock, and paladin though some of those are just counterparts for homebrew equivalents, so no-one is really doing anything that will require a special side-quest or one-on-one.
>>
>>50833483
Hats and longcoats.
>>
>>50833516
>>50832667
>>50831928
Reminder that level 1-2 are for learning the game and any experienced group should start at 3. I can understand wanting specific quests but would the party be together if this is when they get animal companions, oaths etc.? That stuff makes much more sense in backstories than for it to happen during play.
>>
>>50833490
>I can understand that for fodder NPCs like the gross majority of city guards, but I can't imagine having a world full of paper cutout NPCs that were mostly useless until the party happened along to make them useful.
>I've always subscribed to 'the PCs should always be the most important characters in the story, but rarely the most important characters in the world' school.
Where did I contradict that? Official books have stat blocks for things like archmages and warlords as well as lowly guards, and toying with their skill and language lists doesn't drastically alter their CR.

The DMG goes on to offer ways to customize NPCs without resorting to class levels, but there's no step-by-step NPC classes like 3.5 had.
>>
A thread a few days ago suggested that a few levels in Monk and a certain Barbarian archetype could be fluffed into a "Stand User" from JoJo's Bizarre adventure kind of character. I'm wondering what book the Barbarian Archetype was from. It was apparently something that let your "totem spirit" help you or something.
>>
>finally use my FULL SHADOW MONK POWERS in front of the party
>teleporting through shadows
>openly casting Darkness on guys
>they think I'm an Underdark Ranger or something
>DM just shrugs at me
>>
>>50833611
>>
File: 1481769880228.jpg (2MB, 1600x989px) Image search: [Google]
1481769880228.jpg
2MB, 1600x989px
>>50833643
Thank you, mah man. I'll dump a couple pics to thank you.
>>
>>50832655
Probably not, I don't like be restrictive, but I also don't like trivializing something unique to a specific class.

>For example, a City Guard who has to deal with thieves a lot or a detective that's hunting for evidence would pick it up for their work.
I wouldn't let the player know Thieve's Cant in the moment, I would require them to spend time deciphering what they know to be someone using Thieve's Cant with Investigation.

>Roll secret stealth behind DM's screen for these 2 people
>If Roll < Passive Perception (I keep a cheat sheet of this stuff on Dm's screen
>You hear 2 people talking
>You know they are talking in a code used by the local Thieve's Guild
>If you'd like to, when you have some spare time you can spend a few minutes deciphering what they said
>Roll investigation
>Reveal info based on investigation roll.

Or I would use a different ruling if they really want to use Thieve's Cant and not be a Rogue.

Sure, you know the Thieve's Cant for the city you live in. But when you leave said city, the Thieve's Cant used in other cities is different. Because while Thieve's Cant is like a code. Unless your world has 1 centralized Thieve's Guild, there's no way all the rogues in all the world use the same code.

I would argue only someone with Rogue Training would know HOW a thieve's guild would construct a code for their Thieve's Cant, and would A) Be able to figure it out after spending some time decoding it and B) Would have the option to interact with and learn this city's Thieve's Cant from the local Thieve's Guild.

I think both of those are fair compromises. But just like Druidic, i don't like taking a feature from a specific class and letting another class start with it. If you want Thieve's Cant or Druidic, play a Rogue or a Druid. You can refluff each class however you want. Druids can be Beast Mages and Rogues can be Detectives or w/e.
>>
>>50833578
Depends entirely on the sort of game that you are looking to run. If you are dealing with a hard-boiled crew of badasses and heroes, starting at level 3 works. But sometimes, coming out of the relatively fragility of level 1-2 is useful. But if you're wanting to play as the retired old vet-turned-shopkeeper, the idealistic acolyte, and the ambitious young mage willing to make a deal with a fiend for the promise of power, then starting off at a lower level can help make these characters feel a little more raw.

Definitely aware that these levels are training wheels, but they're also some of the most nerve-wracking levels as far as combats go which is part of the reason I tend to speed past them, skip them when necessary, and tiptoe around them when I do run them.
>>
>>50833654
>>
File: 1430387386210.png (1MB, 900x1363px) Image search: [Google]
1430387386210.png
1MB, 900x1363px
>>50833483
>>
File: 1476414981545.jpg (260KB, 1280x1392px) Image search: [Google]
1476414981545.jpg
260KB, 1280x1392px
>>50833675
>>
File: Capture.png (113KB, 1189x675px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
113KB, 1189x675px
Is the 5e tools missing a bunch of Races? I notice there's only one Tiefling.

Also what book does this Tiefling even come from? I don't recognize it.
>>
Anyone have any ideas for a quick Christmas/holiday campaign?
>>50833725
Sword coast
>>
>>50833745
Huh, guess I just never noticed it in there then.
>>
>>50833725
UA races are not included, so the Minotaur (Waterborne Adventures), Revenant (Gothic Heroes iirc), Warforged, Changeling, and Shifter (all Eberron iirc) are missing
>>
>>50833754
It's a variant sidebar in the section about tieflings in the sword coast.
>>
>>50833396
Please, I need some ideas.
>>
>>50833757
Oh that explains it, I saw Shifters on the list so I assumed UA stuff was on it too.

>>50833760
Yeah I see that now, thanks
>>
>>50833762
I'll help, what page of Tiamat? I'm running hoard of the dragon queen right now and will save this as an encounter later also need it for reference.
>>
>>50833725
I noticed that today, too. The data I'm scraping is apparently really incomplete and selective for some reason. It's got two shifters from Eberron but nothing else.

I might work on getting it added in but doing extra data entry isn't my focus right now.
>>
>>50833190
Shit, replied to the wrong post, was meant to be at >>50833120
>>
>>50833601
>Where did I contradict that?
You didn't, I was just stating my view.
>Official books have stat blocks for things like archmages and warlords
I would hope so. It seems like tlhey're making even low level PCs way more heroic than they used to be. I'll have to see how the mechanics work in meta.
>>
>>50833803
Thanks! Page 43, Throne Room Antechamber
>>
>>50833824
>It seems like tlhey're making even low level PCs way more heroic than they used to be.
They're not. 2e and 3.5e place them higher up in terms of fluff (where having any class levels makes you a huge bad-ass), and mechanically 4e has them much stronger.
>>
What cleric domain is the best?
>>
>>50833578

>would the party be together if this is when they get animal companions, oaths etc.?
I think so. There's tons of downtime in lower levels imo. The stakes aren't that high yet.
I've had sessions where we had "between adventures" and the party went their separate ways to do their own thing.
>Dwarven Druid started rebuilding Dwarven Ruins
>Barbarian did some weird survival thing in the wilds and collected mushrooms to sell
>Ranger spent his downtime taking city folk into the forest for big game hunting
Then something happened and the local heroes banded together once again to stop this chaos. Afterwards new personal goals were discovered and with the resources from this new adventure, during their downtime they progressed in said goals. Except the Dwarf he just kept building.

Even if it was in the middle of play. I would construct scenarios based on what the players want to be in the situation
>In dungeon
>Party reaches level 3 mid dungeon
>Ranger wants a Pteradon Companion
I would just change one of the rooms in the dungeon to have some [badguys of dungeon] have some Pteradons in cages, either keeping them as curios, pets, or eventual dinner.

Paladin Oaths are super easy, in this situation, I keep track of player XP, so i know when they're gonna level up. I'd ask them casually what oath they plan to take and why the session before leveling up.
>The party enters a room in the dungeon/ruins
>There's a mural on the wall of [insert example of what their oath stands for]
>Under mural is text detailing Oath for Order of knights related to the reason they told me for picking this.
>Player recites oath
>You're level 3 now. Victory music.

I would try and jam as many of these things into the same room as possible.
Mural shows Knights fighting w/e captured the Pteradons. Among the cages of Pteradons is an NPC who is of a subclass that someone is gonna take, when you free him another enemy pops out and he saves the players and rewards a player with training.
>>
Wasn't there a mega with a lot of DM's guild stuff on it? what happened to that?
>>
>>50833885
Forge, life, light and arcane are the best
>>
>>50833885
Depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>50833885
the one you enjoy playing

failing that, arcane cleric
>>
>>50833905
I wish the Channel Divinity didn't fucking suck for Forge
>>
>>50833885
Wizard (Theurgy)
>>
>>50833905
I wanted to play a Light Cleric...but then i saw Undying Light Warlock and thought it was way better. So now i want to play a Light Cleric much less.
>>
>>50829726
I need some advice for roleplaying a lizardman well. Class is rogue, but I don't intend to do the social aspects that much. Partially because they wouldn't make as much sense and partially because I am all too often the driving force of the party and I want to let other people have more of the spotlight.

I'm not really sure I understand how the 5e incarnation of lizardmen sees comrades and 'friends' and how to act towards them. I'm inclined to view my pal as like a retarded dog you're worried if you stop watching he'll just sort of find a way to eat a pound of chocolate and die. Also not sure about how to handle their particular patterns of speech.
>>
>>50833920
Every short rest I make 1 additional Hunter's Trap. I just place these things around during combat for fun.
>>
>>50833674
Two problems still. While low level play being impossible to balance and swingy might not be a problem, having literally one or two class features is. It's better to play a system that is built for scrubby adventurers or play at 3rd anyway and just have NPCs and monsters be more powerful so they are still fighting rats or whatever.
Secondly, assuming you still just spend 1 session on level 1 and 2, this won't last long. Either you have the prior point lasting much longer, which makes it worse and worse, or the PCs start off weak with ~10 hp and such but suddenly 2 days of adventuring later are twice as powerful which I think is just weird in the fiction.
>>
>>50833957
>one or two class features
soundslikemartials.meme
>>
I kinda want to play a Barb. Hadn't fleshed it out a lot but essentially he was chosen in some rite of passage to leave (place here) to make sure he's invincible. So after every worthy fight he takes an appropriate part of (slain foe) and makes an ink to turn the scars in to tattoos documenting his journey.

Is there any good mechanics for that?
>>
>>50834014
Totem Barbarian?
>>
>>50834014
As a barbarian, not really. As a monk, sort of.
>>
I need some help coming up with a name for a customized item I'm making for a bard player. The item is a marching snare drum meant for military use.

It lets the bard gain Combat Inspiration if he's a Lore bard or Cutting Words if he's a Valor bard. It also lets the bard use Commander's Strike once per short rest, with the damage die normally added by Commander's Strike equal to the size of his Bardic Inspiration die. Also the bard can use Thaumaturgy at-will.

Got any ideas?
>>
Been away at uni and my friends started a 5E campaign without me. I've only played 3.5 before. What are the major differences? I've skimmed the phb but it looks largely similar
>>
>>50834020
I was looking at bear because of the damage resistance.

>>50834023
Which monk build would work?
>>
>>50834041
Homebrew, it's an archetype based entirely around magic tattoos. A bit of what you are talking about, a bit of Far Cry 3.
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50834039
>>
>>50834014
Mechanics for what exactly? For tattooing yourself?
>>
>>50834014
That sounds like really good fluff for a totem barbarian if you wanted to focus less on the animal aspect of it.
>>
>>50833976
Casters aren't much better with 2-3 level 1 spells per day.
>>
>>50834057
nice one lad
>>
>>50834062
Tattoos being functional, a primal warrior archetype that eventually results in indestructibility.

There was a 3.5 prestige class for fighters and one of the requirements was never died. The last level granted monklike immortality.
>>
>>50833803
I figured something out, since it is all about gestures. How about throughout tomb there are pictures of each of the guard mummies before they were mummified lol. Every single one has a specific symbol and specific gesture. You have to put the specific symbol to their corresponding sarcophagi and make the gesture that the guard was making in its picture. In the correct order, maybe leave clues of which ones go in first and if you have to gesture first or put the symbol in first. If done in a specific time limit you get another door opening up that gives them some other reward like a weapon/armor/magic item that the guards possessed in life. I came up with this on the fly tell me what you think?
>>
>>50833725

What's the deal with Tieflings anyway? Are they a distinct race with Tiefling parents or are they like Gensai or Dragon Sorcerers where one can pop out several generations later?

Can they have asymmetrical horns so I can be best snek?
>>
>>50834140
Meant to reply to>>50833828>>50833396
>>
>>50834028
Drum of the rallyman
>>
>>50834149
Base lore in 5e (and 4e, by extension) is that they're either directly descended from or had ancestors who meddled in infernal no-no's. As a result, they're technically their own race. However, having a Tiefling pop up in a bloodline like an Aasimar might be nifty, though.
>>
>>50834149
Think of a tiefling like a kid born to parents who resembles his grandparents or great-grandparents more than his parents. The devil blood is somewhere in the bloodline and randomly manifests.

The tiefling's parents could both be humans, but presumably tieflings breed too.
>>
>>50834162
Yeah I get that much, but I guess what I'm asking is if a Tiefling's kid is guaranteed to be another Tiefling or if it's not and they might end up as the other parent's race, however from then on that bloodline has a chance of demon babbies.
>>
>>50834183
It's up to you; it's purposely ambiguous for the most part, so it's whatever the players/DM dictates.
>>
I didn't even know about Aasimar until recently, but now one of my players is one.

How should I be roleplaying his angelic guide? He doesn't seem to have put much thought into it.
>>
>>50834194
what kind of aasimar is he?
>>
>>50833908
>>50833912
I've never played a Cleric before and I don't have a bunch of experience with most of the classes so I don't really know what to expect. They all sound cool but I really don't know which would be the best or most enjoyable
>>
>>50834183
>if a Tiefling's kid is guaranteed to be another Tiefling
That would severely curtail anyone's desire to mate with a tiefling. Who would want to guarantee their kid has to live as an outcast?

>they might end up as the other parent's race, however from then on that bloodline has a chance of demon babbies

That's probably more likely.

It's ultimately up to the DM.
>>
>>50834203
Protector.
He only really got it for the flying speed and healing, apparently.
I'm having a tough time getting a good feeling for what he wants out of his character aside from doing weird shit with the mechanics.
>>
Well holy fuck, I got a sword of wounding tonight. That thing is brutal. Probably going to trade it to my rogue/fighter when I can but damn.
>>
>>50833950
>retarded dog
I have a player like this, if someone doesn't stop them doing the dumbest thing possible in any given situation, they'll do it.
>>
>>50834256
I have 2 people in my group like that, but their characters are both clinically retarded because we rolled for stats. They both rp rather well aside from that.

One of them has an INT of 4. The DM let them reroll it and they got 3 1s and a 2 twice in a row (3d6 drop lowest) so they decided clearly they were destined to be retarded.
>>
>>50834220
Volo's guide gives a pretty good summary of what to do now that I look at it if you want the standard way.

Or you could just do your own thing. My friend's guide is pretty much RP'd as Hestia.

That being said if your friend picked an aasimar for the heal and fly he probably doesn't care too much about the RP aspects of it anyways and wont care as much if you only do minimal or no interaction or RP.
>>
>>50834306
Meant 4d6 drop lowest.
>>
>>50834306
>we rolled for stats
I think your group is retarded, not those characters
>>
File: 1456873019641.png (87KB, 1429x868px) Image search: [Google]
1456873019641.png
87KB, 1429x868px
>>50834318
>My friend's guide is pretty much RP'd as Hestia.
The breast monster from that one isekai? Huh, I was actually thinking of telling him that his angelic guide was named Ilias to fuck with the guy in the group who knows about MGQ. I think I'll just leave it alone, though, because it really doesn't seem like he cares that much. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>50834140
Bumping to make sure tiamat bro sees this.
>>
>>50834357
>Not rolling for stats
I'm sorry your group is so immature that they can't play if someone else has better stats than you and/or you want everyone to have boring samey ability scores.
>>
>>50834373
>he needs different numbers in his sheet to roleplay
wew lad
>>
>>50834400
>he needs the same numbers in his sheet to roleplay
wow dude
>>
>>50834405
I don't, we use point buy at my table :^)
>>
>>50834431
Point Buy is also acceptable, but I prefer rolling because I'm a powergaming fucknigger.
>>
I want to Fluff a Barbarian as an unwashed ronin, à la Musashi, and I was wondering what 2-3 level dip I should consider for some utility.
>>
>>50834440
Samurai, obviously.
>>
>>50834216
They all do buffing. Tempest and Light do some blasting, anyone with heavy armor prof tank better, Life heals more than normal but mostly outside combat still, Nature gets more CC and Shillelagh, Trickery for illusion/invisibility shenanigans, War for pretending to be a martial, Knowledge for utility and divination and such. Trickery is considered quite weak because the channel divinity is concentration and the features aren't great generally, poison damage is the worst damage type etc. The rest are all pretty good and work as advertised, Cleric is considered a very noob-friendly caster as it's hard to go wrong.
>>
>>50834440
>martial character with any skill at swordsmanship
The answer is almost always battlemaster. Fag.
>>
>>50834373
I have the group roll 3d6. drop lowest, add 6. Each player is rolling one number for the entire group to use. They get the fun of rolling random stats but everyone starts from the same point. Each player does this twice if the group has 3 people. If the group has 4, I make one of those rolls too, and the players decide which person is the luckiest person for the 6th roll.
>>
>>50834459
>>50834466
Fighter dips are always good, but I was looking for out of combat utility.
>>
>>50834367
Damn Illias is actually a decent example of what to do, ignoring the whole rape and genocide bit.

Have them talk to the character in dreams, offering advice about a stronger enemy they're about to fight or nod them in the way of a potential quest giver or point of interest near them.

You could make her really adamant about clearing local ruins of the Yuan-ti inhabitants if you really wanted to share a laugh with the MGQ guy as well.
>>
>>50834470
That's pretty generous, 2d6+6 is already getting fairly high numbers for me (barely higher average than 4d6d1). I like the universal reroll though.
>>
>>50831936

Not to mention if you get a rod of the pact keeper your Save DCs should be above the curve enough that your better off using spell slots that cripple an encounter rather than slightly boosting your damage.
>>
>>50834503
Most of my encounters are on the deadly curve to make up for my generosity with stats and items.
>>
>>50834470
One of my players suggested this method in lieu of my usual 3d6 drop lowest and I actually kinda liked it. The stats aren't as samey and average as 3d6 drop lowest: somehow despite getting one or two 19s apiece most of the rest of their scores are pretty bad so all the party members are a bit lopsided.

That being said, though, that also means they're very strong in combats. They're definitely stronger than their CR would suggest so I'm having to plan encounters as harder.
>>
>>50834553
19s are after racials, right? 3d6 drop lowest add 6 caps at 18 still.

>having to plan encounters as harder
The encounter charts have the hard and deadly columns for that. It has less impact the higher level you go too. My last game went 3 to 20 in about 14 months and my current one is at level 14. If you were playing only up to level 10 or lower, it might be too much. The bulk of the time spent in my campaigns is after level 10.
>>
>>50834583
>3d6 drop lowest add 6
We did 2d6 + 6, not what you did. I think those should come out the same, though. I'm not very good at math, so if they don't it's mea culpa.

Yeah, they're level three right now, so I was a bit startled by how good they are right out of the gate (and I have to admit, a bit disappointed too: I really like low-powered games.) But I think things will even out once I make properly deadly encounters and up my game at encounter design.
>>
>>50834638
>3d6 drop lowest
means you're using 2d6

The possible numbers are the same. The max roll of 2d6+6 is 18...
>>
>>50834650
2d6+6 is fine with me since the lowest you can get is 8 in a stat.
>>
>>50834650
Must have been after racial bonuses, then.
>>
>>50834638
>>50834650
3d6 drop lowest means you have higher average, 3d6 averages 10.5 while 4d6 drop one averages 12.9 for example.
>>
>>50834687
We're comparing 2d6 + 6 to 3d6 drop lowest + 6. My guess is that those are practically identical so I used the simpler one.
>>
>>50834741
The 3d6 drop lowest + 6 method averages higher but the possible results are the same. 8 is still the lowest result but it's much less likely to happen. The curve is shifted toward the higher end.
>>
Is "Half Plate" actually a thing or is it purely a d&d/popular media invention?
>>
>>50834771
Those ballsy Knights who only wore armour on their front sides didn't last long in real life
>>
File: Ishtar2.jpg (141KB, 385x545px) Image search: [Google]
Ishtar2.jpg
141KB, 385x545px
Welp I guess Inknow what my Bladesinger will dress as next game.
>>
>>50834741
As I said the 4d6d1/3d6 is the same but with one more die and no +6, and that has +2.4 average. 2d6+6 has 13 as average (similar to 4d6d1), but 3d6d1+6 is probably closer to 15 average. It's a fairly big difference, though that doesn't mean one is better than the other.
>>
>>50834815
Like a prostitute?
>>
>>50834771
I thought it was lighter plate, i.e. no greaves and leggings so they could travel on horseback and stuff easier, not as many tiny details but more than just a breastplate. I may be wrong though, this is from looking up fantasy images mostly and seeing ones with plate mail but with heavy boots and leather leggings.
>>
>>50834838
Of course
>>
File: Fey Sorc.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Fey Sorc.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Alright I'm at my wit's end, I've come up with many ideas for a 6th level feature, and every one I've come up with has either been broken, too complicated, or just useless/not lore approved. Anyone have any ideas on how to round out this archetype?
>>
>>50834771
there's probably no official historical term for it, but DnD/Pathfinder probably refer to only wearing the torso and arm pieces, instead of a full plate suit, like how the old conquistadors used to ball around.
>>
>>50834771
It's when you wear plate over the most important bits and have chainmail under it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_plates
>>
>>50834888
This is a p gud basis for it, thanks anon.
>>
>>50834306
tell me bout th' rabbits, George
>>
>>50834863
yeah

crumple it into a ball to round it out

then throw it in the trash, where it belongs.
>>
Does platemail include full greaves, gauntlets, helmet, and everything else or just the chestplate?
>>
File: Capture.png (63KB, 310x79px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
63KB, 310x79px
>>50835005
>>
File: 1400178071703.png (417KB, 747x475px) Image search: [Google]
1400178071703.png
417KB, 747x475px
newfag here. Is it alright to ask questions about dealing with party members in this thread?
>>
File: English_Longbow.jpg (59KB, 400x342px) Image search: [Google]
English_Longbow.jpg
59KB, 400x342px
How exactly are you meant to carry a longbow when you're not using it? It's too big to stick it in the quiver, (Assuming you're doing the movie/vidya quiver on your back) and I imagine doing the "wearing" it over your shoulder like a belt thing would damage the string, in addition to be really uncomfortable.

Destring it and stick it in a special holder?
>>
>>50835068
maybe, but some people here won't be nice
>>
>>50835068
Only if you're aware your party members could potentially read here.

Consider changing some minor things to make it not identical if you're that paranoid about it like me.
>>
>>50835068
Only if they couldn't be answered by five seconds of just thinking about it yourself, sure.
>>
File: 1-dnd-logo.png (158KB, 600x171px) Image search: [Google]
1-dnd-logo.png
158KB, 600x171px
Alright, to cut to the chase. Party is filled with a group of generally noble-brights. Playing a CN, but I seem to be getting hit with a roadblock trying to help. Character is a bit of a con-man and trying to use those talents to help the group seem to be met with a stone-wall. Despite its obvious usefulness.
>>
File: 1481260130190.jpg (71KB, 750x714px) Image search: [Google]
1481260130190.jpg
71KB, 750x714px
>It's a "paranoid character is proven right (again) thus justifying in their mind their paranoia" session

>JEEZ ANON HOW ABOUT YOU STOP BEING SO PARANOID, CLEARLY THIS NPC WE PICKED UP UNDER SUSPICIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES ISN'T A SPY OR GOING TO BETRAY US
>2 sessions later
>backstabbed
>IF ONLY WE SAW THIS COMING
>i_told_you_about_those_stairs_bro.heavilyartifactedjpeg
>Have to refrain from rubbing it in their faces in character OOC do so, have a good lel with the DM
>>
>>50831893
Where is half-elf?
>>
>>50835068
Just remember that if 'this one party member who rolled 20 on all his stats is a total douche stealing the limelight...' comes up you're going to be hit with a
>rolling for stats
Regardless of whether it was up to you or not.
>>
Is Dragon Sorcerer as weak as it seems?
>>
>>50835158
>I told you about those stairs

Was this that little bastard in Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>50832570
>Or the meteor IS a squid monster from space.
>plot of Watchmen
>>
File: 001.jpg (135KB, 788x1024px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
135KB, 788x1024px
>>50835191
>>
>>50834028

Marcher's Beat?

Lock Step Snare?

Regimental Colors?
>>
>>50835239
>>50835239
Lock Step Snare is rad as fuck
>>
File: mummy lord.png (78KB, 190x240px) Image search: [Google]
mummy lord.png
78KB, 190x240px
>>50834140
I like it! Sounds like something I can work a little more to flesh out the details and have a cool puzzle at the end. Right now I'm heading out to bed, but thanks for the help and have a mummy lord as a token haha get it? of my gratitude.
>>
File: pshhhhh.jpg (294KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
pshhhhh.jpg
294KB, 1024x577px
>Looking at backgrounds on megaanon's tools (By the way it's fuckin' tops m8 keep it up)
>See Haunted One
lmao it's like some mary sue homebrew background got stuck in the game by accident, this is the edgiest shit I've seen in a while.
>>
>>50833031
You can't truly look corpses and experience is often handed out based on objectives rather than enemies defeated. So you can't grind like you might in a homebrew and advancing to 5th level sometimes leaves you fairly weak for that content.
>>
File: Walkure.jpg (562KB, 1500x1490px) Image search: [Google]
Walkure.jpg
562KB, 1500x1490px
Whats the best Bard College to pull of an idol group. Using Song and Dance to Charm and Disable foes.
>>
File: 2w3caw2.png (84KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
2w3caw2.png
84KB, 480x320px
Dear /5eg/
Please stop trying to start cross general shitposter bait fights and meta threads. Your supposed to be better than /pfg/, and all that does is make you look like autistic manchildren stooping as low as the degenerates you try to mock. Just please be the bigger person, plus it's not like /pfg/ spend half the time insulting their own game and telling people to play 5e instead already.

Sincerely,
A concerned anon
>>
>>50833903
or better yet...
Don't go in a fucking dungeon. That's not what D&D is for, it's for Minecraft-like world building.
>>
>>50835132
That's what you get for playing the only thing edgier than CE. You have a good DM who is fuck fudging you.
>>
Am I wrong in thinking alignments work better as a line?

So instead of

>LG>NG>CG
>LN>N_>CN
>LE>NE>CE

it's

>LG>NG>CG>LN>N>CN>LE>NE>CE
where the further left you are the "good-er" you are?

alignments are dumb
>>
>>50835332
A lot of the threads keep getting made by the same person
Blame it on them.
>>
>>50831022
I once had 2 years, 3 months, 13 days, and 4 hours of downtime while my party waited an hour, due to time shenanigans.
>>
>>50835397
I learned a language or two. And now my character claims two birthdays: a biological one, and a chronological one.
>>
>>50835385
>elves
>gooder than lawful neutrals

Fuck elves
Praise mechanus

It is true that chaotic tends towards being a little less good, however. Since chaos suggests more individualism, it somewhat discourages compassion and love for another along with taking away reliance on others, but not necessarily.
>>
>>50835397
My character now claims two birthdays: biological and chronological.
>>
>>50835425
Fucc, sorry, accidental double post.
>>
>>50835418
I view it as freedom versus order.
>>
>>50835385
the alignment grid is good for literally only one thing, getting players to think of robin hood characters as not being necessarily more or less evil than LG types, and you blew it.
>>
>>50835529
>Implying every shit tier DM doesn't think that anyways
>>
so I read on here that hand crossbows are apparently amazing. What makes it so good?
>>
>>50835529
I've seen plenty of instances where a CG character was actually "more good" than an LG.
>>
>>50835558
Crossbow Expert gives you a free bonus action attack with them.
>>
>>50835558
You can duel wield them like an utter bad ass :3
>>
>>50835558

Crossbow expert lets you hold one in each hand and dakka dakka away.
>>
>>50834863
'when someone makes a Melee attack against you, you can use your reaction to teleport 30ft, recharge on long rest.'

Or some other fey bullshit.
>>
>>50835573
>>50835574
>>50835582
I see, so once you get your bonus attack you can basically attack 4 times a turn then?
>>
>>50835625
You only get one bonus action per turn.
>>
>>50835625

Only one bonus action, so if you had multiattack then 3 attacks a turn.
>>
>>50835566
Yes, that's why I said "necessarily." It means that something doesn't HAVE to be one way, but can be.
>>50835536
I don't think I implied anything of the sort, unless I'm misreading you.
>>
>>50835385
If anything NG is the "purest" of the good alignments because it's not influenced/tainted by law or chaos, this applies to evil as well.
A line is too simplified and doesn't at all capture the fact that alignments are "in theory equal".

LG as the most good alignment is fucking idiotic. Your line is dumb, it's so fucking dumb.
>>
>>50835639
>>50835656
oh yeah, but still 3 attacks per turn at 5th level..
and then if you're a fight you can use action surge..
and they get more attacks at higher levels too.
>>
>>50835671

Yup. And if you get a magic one it all stacks together. hence why people like them so much on ranged characters.
>>
What kind of action is needed to activate the magical effects of magical equipment?
>>
>>50835274
I guess you haven't been reading the UAs? The new paladin options aren't much better
>>
>>50835687
A Use an Object action unless stated otherwise, however it's worth noting that the Thief's Fast Hands doesn't work for activating magic items.
>>
Uh so me and a friend are trying to set up a game but we are both new to D&D and have no expirience with setting up games.We are looking for 3 more people to join and maybe one of the 3 to be an expirienced DM is there a place where I can look for players and DM's? I read the OP but not much came up.
>>
>>50835687

It varies depending on the magic item. Some require an action (Helm of Brilliance), some are just a bonus action, some are free.
>>
>>50835687
It's an ad-hoc action given in the description of the magic item (and not Use an Object, thus why it does not work with Fast Hands).
>>
>>50835700
It's not Use an Object, it's either Use a Magical Object or just custom actions it allows you to do outside the standard ones, I think. That's why Fast Hands doesn't work.
>>
Where can I fin example magic items.equipment for 5e?
>>
>>50835724
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Abacus
>>
I realize that UA Ranger is hardly in need of buffs, but how would you feel if

Coordinated Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you and your animal
companion form a more potent fighting team.
When you use the Attack action on your turn, if
your companion can see you, it can use its
reaction to make a melee attack.

was changed to

Extra Attack, Coordinated Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you and your animal
companion form a more potent fighting team.
you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever
you take the Attack action on your turn, or
if your companion can see you, it can use its
reaction to make a melee attack.

I like UA Beastdude but I feel like the class might as well be "you have a pet, that's 100% of your ability and you yourself are shit"
>>
>>50835774
I would disagree. Sure, it's all pet focused, but that IS the archetype so not much to be said there.

What it functionally works as is you essentially have two characters, given how much you share with saves/stats/attacks, etc. Free flanking is pretty damn nice.
>>
>>50835774
I see no issue with it, other than the fact that UA Ranger is already good, as you stated.

Though on that note,
>>50830890
I'd like to give the ranger and pet the benefits listed here on page 4, under Fighting Partners, just to let them feel more like a coordinated team.
>>
>>50835274
>Curse of Strahd

Well no shit it's dark. I don't understand how having something happened to your character that's more than 'bandits killed me mum' is somehow mary sue.
>>
>>50835705
hmm you may have to play online on like roll20.net or something. Otherwise try and find experienced players through your local gameshop or school/college clubs.
>>
>>50835872
I didn't say it couldn't be used to make a good character, just that it's a bit silly.

There's nothing inherently bad about playing a tragic character if they're actually a GOOD character and not some mary-sue self insert who's OH SO DARK AND MYSTERIOUS just so everyone pays more attention to their self insert.

And you really don't see how it fits cliche as fuck edgy mary sue self insert characters you're fooling yourself.
>>
New thread comin' up.

Any OP changes? I'll give it 3 minutes before posting.
>>
>>50835903
I was afraid of that there's no game shops where I live and I think the next shop is 4 towns over.

Best bet is going to be roll20 I guess.
>>
>>50835905
I think you're mis-using mary sue, but yeah it's a common fallback for weaker characters.

Although I'd still emphasize that it's in CoS specifically, lala foggy trap vampire land Barovia and all that.
>>
>>50835913
Can you say hi to Phil for me?
>>
File: EVERYONE, GET IN HERE.jpg (39KB, 479x361px) Image search: [Google]
EVERYONE, GET IN HERE.jpg
39KB, 479x361px
>>50835935
>>50835935
>>50835935
>>50835935
>>50835935

>>50835941
The only Phil I know is a 90 year old war veteran, but ok Anon.
>>
>>50835724
>>50835738

http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random/#type=magic_item

This is cool too, also check donjon's weird magic item generator
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.