[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 389
Thread images: 40

File: PC plans.jpg (490KB, 1000x1260px) Image search: [Google]
PC plans.jpg
490KB, 1000x1260px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/
Previous thread: >>50808246

How often do your "brilliant plans" actually work?
>>
>inb4 4e faggotry
>>
>>50808289
Repost from last thread: I'm DMing OotA, and my party is midway through neverlight grove, I'm having some Trouble deciding what Phylo's response would be to what the adventurers and Basidia do. I don't want them to just get Away, but after the encounter they're out of most of their spells and most of them are at half or below.
>>
3rd for GWM is overrated
>>
I want to know the connection between the elves and the Nazis.
>>
>>50808406
same for sharpshooter?

Is this because of the whole bounded accuracy?

care to elaborate?
>>
>>50808419
Elves are literal Nazis
>>
>>50808406
Hardly.
GWM is necessary for a pure-fighter strength class to function properly, and for barbarian to have any real benefit over barbarian-rogue.
>>
Has anyone faced or made puzzles for the party? Any examples?
>>
4es dmg is a pretty good read (even if you don't play it)and will make you a better dm, unlike the 5e dmg.

That being said, I like the base system of 5e slightly better, but wish the abilities within that base system were designed with the care of 4e abilities.

That's why I continue my work on 5.4e, and should haven't an enjoyable holiday producing it.

Don't listen to this fag though.
>>50808352
>>
>>50808425
>>50808498

At level 1, with a greatsword, assuming 16 STR, if the ennemy as more than 14 AC you are better of not using the -5/+10

>but there is the bonus attack
True but you need to compare that to the benefit of other feats
>>
>>50808540
What I don't enjoy:
- endless pointless rolls
- riddles that are solved by player skill

What I enjoy:
- environmental puzzles that have many potential ways around them

For example, a room with a series of pillars. Certain paths between the pillars cause iron bars to fall and form a cage. You're trying to find a path between the pillars, but maybe you activate a trap and maybe you can try to roll out of the way just in time. Maybe someone already got caught and you're looking for a switch to lift the bars or just lift them with raw strength. But now non-corporeal enemies appear - and they can move through the cages, so even if you teleport out, they can follow you unhindered. It is so on that things have now become very much like donkey kong.
>>
>>50808540
HA
Reminds me of that time I had a circle of chests in a cave that were used by thieves to hide their loot, and some of them were trapped.
The wizard accidentally put himself within fireball range while trying to open one with Mage hand- thankfully, they had gotten all the loot and he made his save.
>>
>>50808653
Would you mind showing your math? I'm curious how you came to 14 AC.
>>
>>50808653
That's wrong.
Enemy AC 16 would make it so the -5 to hit is detrimental, assuming you have a greatsword and GWF (instead of +1 AC or something)
AC 15 and lower, the +10 damage would help. Not to mention, it's even better if you get advantage or something.

Now, let's say you were a fighter with a hand crossbow instead at level 1 (Though I admit you couldn't get crossbow mastery and sharpshooter at the same time)
The enemy's AC would have to be 20 for it to be detrimental.
Fucking 20.
Enemy AC 19 or below at level one and the hand crossbow wielding fighter with sharpshooter is actually better off with the +10 damage.
Hand crossbow would only normally do 1d6+3 damage, and the archery fighting style gives +2 to hit.
>>
Alright, just ran through the mathematics (I already had a table with this on it, I just wanted to put it in an understandable format)

GWF Greatsword:
8.33 dice damage (doubled on crit) + 3 damage mod

Target AC: 15
Attack Modifier: 5
Chance to hit: 0.50 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Chance to crit: 0.05 (20)

(Chance to crit)*8.33 + ((Chance to hit + Chance to crit)-(GWF -5 to hit))*(8.33+3+(GWM +10 to damage))
(0.05)*8.33 + ((0.55)-(0.25))*(21.33)
= 6.8155

Ordinary damage:
(0.05)*8.33 + ((0.55))*(8.33+3)
=6.648

Therefore, at level 1 with GWF, 16 strength and a greatsword, the +10 damage is more effective against creatures with an AC of 15 or lower.
>>
>>50807861
my bad, not that familiar with ua paladin. i don't think is broken, just 1/rest more than likely turn a miss into a hit. thats no that much.
>>
>>50808915
Prof bonus +2, STR +3 = +5 to hit
Odds to hit at +5 on target AC 14: 60%
Damage on hit: 6.50+3 = 9.50
>Expected damage: 0.60*9.50 = 5.7
Odds to hit at +5-5 = +0 to hit on target AC 14: 35%
Damage on hit: 6.50+3+10 = 19.50
>Expected damage: 0.35*19.50 = 6.825

Odds to hit at +5 on target AC 15: 55%
Damage on hit: 6.50+3 = 9.50
>Expected damage: 0.55*9.50 = 5.225
Odds to hit at +5-5 = +0 to hit on target AC 15: 30%
Damage on hit: 6.50+3+10 = 19.50
>Expected damage: 0.30*19.50 = 5.85

Yeah it's still more with GWM at AC 15
>>
File: qavurmo0.jpg (46KB, 400x604px) Image search: [Google]
qavurmo0.jpg
46KB, 400x604px
>>50808568
>and should haven't an enjoyable holiday producing it.
>>
Wait it's better to sharpshooter with a longbow than a hand crossbow right?
>>
>>50809204
no
but its fine to do either
hand crossbow is just the best long range weapon period because you can bonus action attack with it if your dm is cool with it. unless you need that longbow range.
>>
>>50809204
Hand crossbow with crossbow mastery allows you to make an extra bonus attack with a potential +10 damage on it.

Also, if you had to choose between granting a 1d8 attack and a 1d6 attack GWM/sharpshooter's benefit, you should choose the 1d6 damage attack. The -5 effectively decreases the to-hit multiplier and thus reduces overall damage, meaning that +1 damage is worth less when using GWM/Sharpshooter.
>>
>>50808959
>>50808915
Yeah I made a mistake it's higher than 15 not higher than 14.

So 16 AC and above : don't use
14/15/16 AC : roughly +1 to damage
(This take the bonus attack into account
11/12/13 AC and below : roughly +2

Now compare that to other feats.

>advantage
That's a big pro for GWM.

>sharpshooter
It's different due to the archery fighting style +2 to hit.
>>
>>50809086
I'm sorry, but my ability to translate anime is limited to "smug anime girl" = "I concede the argument"

So I must ask. What did he mean by this?
>>
>>50808289
>How often do your "brilliant plans" actually work?
I gotta say often. I played a thief that never did anything in our last campaign except come up with kind of off the wall ideas on how to save the parties asses from various encounters and challenges.
I won't go into detail because I've posted the story before, but we just finished PotA and I came up with plans to knock off 3 of the 4 elemental cults without playing fair. And thats about all I did. Rolled horribly every time I wanted to sneak around, open a lock, or do any other stuff, but my DM was willing to indulge my dumb ideas for how to stop elemental princes.
>>
>>50809326
concede what argument you retard? i just think its funny that he said should haven't an enjoyable holiday.
>>
>Clerics and Paladins are different classes
>Castymystics will be their own class while Fightymystics will be an archetype
For what purpose
>>
>>50809064
>>50809075
You both forget the damage from the bonus attack in case of a crit (though it doesn't change the breakpoint)
>>
>>50809342
It's a contextual thing, but apparently if you're arguing with someone, and you post a smug anime girl, it means you concede. But if they respond to your smug anime girl, they lose.
>>
I'm starting up a new game on new year's eve, but I'm having trouble nailing down a bit with my character idea. General idea is a half elf monk raised in a temple dedicated to Eilistraee. The temple is devoted to protecting the surrounding villages and such from the wandering monsters and the occasional Drow raid while also trying to convince said Drow to turn from Lolth and follow Eilistraee. I've got the classes narrowed down to 4 Monk (Way of the Shadows), but I was trying to figure out if I could spin one of the warlock patrons to basically be a deity. Think it would be to far of a stretch as one of Eilistraee's domains is Light for him to have a contact with her via the Undying Light patron from UA?
>>
>>50809342
>reading comprehension, you retard
He said very plainly that his only ability to translate smug anime posting is the shitpost that concedes and argument, and thus he was asking for clarification on the relevance of your smug anime post.
>>
>>50809347
>Wizards will be their own class while Fighterwizards and roguewizards will be archetypes
Really fires the neurons, doesn't it?
>>
>>50809374
>>50809397
ok fine i made a gaff using a picture of anime girls since that has context that i didn't mean to use. my bad.
i still think saying should haven't is funny, and i don't even mean that in a mean way since i'm sure it was a typo.
>>
>>50809347
Mearls didn't like a fightyguy having lots of mechanical options so he decided he would make it a fighter archetype instead to dumb it down for fighterguy enthusiasts.
>>
File: psshh, nothin personell.png (650KB, 861x716px) Image search: [Google]
psshh, nothin personell.png
650KB, 861x716px
r8 edgy robot backstory rough draft.

>Wizard gettin' up there in years has the usual "holy shit I don't want to die" epiphany
>Spends a while making a bitchin' robot body to house his soul
>During the ritual to transfer his soul over something goes wrong
>Ends up nuking his lair, destroying his original body and all his stuff
>The imperfect transfer resulted in a bunch of missing memories, and the body is linked to "shadowy bullshit" instead of the intended "arcane bullshit", and is generally unstable
>Wizard, now Sorcerer, has to completely relearn how to control his body and how to cast spells since his robot body doesn't work properly with the usual magic casting stuff
>Without a home or any cash, he begins wandering in search of a way to "finish" his body so it's not a constantly leaking Shadow mannequin and actually has it's full power, as he intended originally
>Plot twist everyone probably sees coming: the Warforged/Golem/Construct isn't the original wizard at all, rather just an empty vessel that got most of the Wizard's memories, cue existential drama
>>
>>50809432

I think you're missing the point. He was saying all he understands is smug anime girls, which your picture was not, so he didn't know what you meant. You confirmed that you just thought the typo was funny and posted a picture accordingly. So I think that's the end of it.
>>
>>50809432
You responded to someone make a genuine question as to the nature of your smug anime girl post with leaping straight to "you retard." You might want to calm down, Anon, or go kill a prostitute. You seem tense.
>>
Fuck, disregard that last post, I meant to type:

Instead of wands and orbs, wizards must use a component pouch when casting a spell with noncostly material components. Roll a 1d20 when doing so. On a 1, you run out of that material. You cannot cast the spell again until you either scavenge or gather the material, or purchase some in a settlement.
>>
>>50809461
I like it. Reminds me of FMAB.
>>
Does anyone know of any 5e resources related to whaling? I want to run a whaling campaign with the ultimate goal of using these skills to kill a giant fey monster.
>>
>>50809499
>>50809516
>adding unnecessary rolls and bookkeeping to occasionally frustrate players
Shit for much of the same reasons critical fumbles are shit, but for casters this time. Buff martials' utility instead--always balance upward, it'll make people that play happier.
>>
>>50809516

Limiting the power of wizards shouldn't be a 'no fun allowed' thing. Just give them less spell slots or less spells prepared each day if it's that big of a deal. Agreed with the other anon - just make martials better somehow.
>>
>>50809444
fightyguy mystic is kinda boring in practice. Played as one for 10 levels (then 3 more in rogue)
>>
>>50809537
Whaling isn't PC, so I doubt we'd ever get anything official or on the dmsguild. You'd want to search reddit/dmsguild for more naval oriented stuff. I know there's a lot there, and it should be generally applicable.
>>
>>50809294
+1 or +2 damage is kind of a big deal on a fighter, when they can attack 1, 2 (level 5), 3 (level 11), 4 (level 20) times, with an additional 1 (level 2), 2 (level 5), 3 (level 11), 4 (level 20) times a short rest using action surge, or twice a short rest (level 17), not to mention possibly having haste cast on them for +1 attack (level 13, or a caster level 5), a bonus attack for +1 attack (GWM, PAM or any other way to grant it) and +1 attack from reactions (PAM, ordinary attacks of opportunity).

Fighters capitalize on hitting a fucking load of times along with having a lot of ASIs for feats and such, and every extra bit of damage is multiplied by the number of times they hit.

Sharpshooter is different not just because of +2 to hit, but the fact the weapon used itself deals less damage and thus the +10 is an even bigger benefit.
>>
>>50809461
Plot twist at the end is too cliche and sucks, rest seems solid. Playing characters with memory loss is pretty difficult.
>>
>>50809560
Shit, that sucks. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>50809539
>>50809547
But what if I want the feel of the world to include "wizards are pretty rare and generally weird people".

I wouldn't frustrate players without telling them upfront. This would be for a new campaign, not imposed in the middle of one. So wouldn't it discourage players from wizard unless they are the kind who is willing to roleplay scrounging for bat shit. And thus have the intended effect of a) making them rare b) making them more flavourful
>>
File: 1479282070327.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1479282070327.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>50809462
oh. yeah for sure
>>50809471
i'm hyped up on coffee. also i guess we've determined that I'M the retard.
>>
still trying to come up with a weaker telekenisis spell.

Telekinetic force push/pull ability, thoughts?
For up to 1 min, you can make a shove, grapple or disarm action against any foe within 100 ft. You must have line of sig ht to the target. When actually resolving the opposed c heck, however , substitute your proficiency + your spellcasting ability modifier for your Strength(Athletics) check.

i think its weird to add the disarm variant as part of the ability...
>>
>>50809444
>Mearls
I don't buy that for a second. This has Crawford's stink all over it, he just has Mearls be the bitchboi who reports it so someone else can take all the flak.
>>
>>50809420
>Clerics are their own class
>Fightyclerics are also their own class
>>
>>50809593
>B i g b y ’s H a n d
>5th-level evocation
>Casting Time: 1 action
>Range: 120 feet
>Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
>You create a Large hand of shimmering, translucent force in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. The hand lasts for the spell’s duration
>It has a Strength of 26 (+8) and a Dexterity o f 10 (+0). The hand doesn’t fill its space. When you cast the spell and as a bonus action on your subsequent turns, you can move the hand up to 60 feet and then cause one o f the following effects with it.
>Forceful Hand. The hand attempts to push a creature within 5 feet of it in a direction you choose. Make a check with the hand’s Strength contested by the Strength (Athletics) check of the target. If the target is Medium or smaller, you have advantage on the check. If you succeed, the hand pushes the target up to 5 feet plus a number of feet equal to five times your spellcasting ability modifier. The hand moves with the target to remain within 5 feet of it.
>>
>>50809564
Yeah I'm still undecided on if I want him to actually be "him" or follow the cliche. I think I'll just leave it ambiguous.

And it's not a lot of memory loss, more just things like exactly how to cast high level spells or other really complex things to justify why they don't remember exactly how to do things like make robot bodies.
>>
>>50809585
Wizards can be rare without changing any of the mechanics. Player characters are exceptional by their very nature, so them being a wizard in a setting where wizards are rare doesn't change the world-feel at all. Just make sure NPCs react to magic appropriately, magic services are rare or nonexistent, and so on.
>>
>>50809613
>One is a full caster that gets their powers from a deity and serves as their agent upon the material plane
>One is an oathbond warrior who is personally empowered by their oath to do battle against the forces of evil

Yeah, why are these two separate classes? It's not like the arcane caster who gets their power from an outside entity and the one whose power in an inherit power within their blood get separate clas-- Oh wait, the warlock and the sorcerer are different classes... Oooh.
>>
>>50809694
Paladins can be evil, and can still be warriors of God.
>>
Hey guys - I'm gonna be starting up a 5e Game pretty soon. I heard that the Beastmaster Ranger and the Elementalist Monk are pretty much useless - is that true? Are there any good fixes for them around?

And are there any other problems I should be aware of, balance-wise?
>>
>>50809561
>+1 or +2 is kind of a big deal
Sure but -3 with heavy armor master is a big deal too early on, sentinel gives you a reaction attack, magic initiate gives you GFB and BB, +1/+2 to damage is great but it's not beyond compare.

>sharpshooter
Good point
>>
So, does anyone here use the story modules? I'm considering running one to try to get down the fundamentals of running a game, but I'd like to know if there are any clunkers I should avoid.
>>
>>50809659
Mechanics implies setting
>>
>>50809643
uhh yeah. you could also link telekinesis but theyre subtly different.

whats your point, here?
>>
>>50809761

Ranger is awful but there's a revised ranger from UA that's very strong.

There's a homebrew fix for Wot4E monks that's solid.

Frenzy barbarians are also shit.
>>
>HAM damage reduction is now equal to prof bonus
Good houserule or bad houserule?
>>
>>50809807
Yeah sounds good
>>
>>50809761
No fix for the monk, but the Revised UA Beastmaster Ranger is bretty gud. Only thing it kind of messes with is if you were planning on using your animal companion as a fighting mount, since it now has its own initiative.

no fix for Wot4E monk unfortunately.
>>
>>50809793
*Barbarians are also shit*

Which is the bigger pile of shit, berserkers or battle ragers?
>>
>>50809761
Yeah they're pretty bad. Also players get disappointed with ranger cause they pick it thinking legolas when it's aragorn

>>50809793
I give berserkers one free frenzy per day without exhaustion
>>
>>50809807
It's fine but honestly HAM is fine as-is. It starts great and against most weapon-using enemies is great even to 20th level.
>>
>>50809649
>And it's not a lot of memory loss, more just things like exactly how to cast high level spells or other really complex things to justify why they don't remember exactly how to do things like make robot bodies.

If I were running him I'd tie it to age. Memories from his youth come through pretty clear, but things get hazier and hazier as you go out further. Eventually you hit a point where its like trying to remember a dream.Thinking about it further, tie the whole transfer thing into the concept of dreaming, which is why all the details, formulas, and equations never made it over. They simply can't be retained in that state.
>>
>>50809834
this
>>
>>50809771
Curse and Storm Kings are both bueno.
>>
>>50809694
>fluff
>fluff only relevant to 5E
They're divine casters with a high degree of martial ability. The Cleric leans more towards casting, the Paladin leans more towards martial, but they're still close.

The fact that these two classes remain distinct in 5E despite their overwhelming similarity mechanics-wise in past editions (and this one--they even share fucking Channel Divinity) while other classes that were even more similar are getting split off into archetypes is ridiculous.

Both EKs and PWs had spellcasting progression closer to their full casting class equivalents, but they're getting their gish gutted and shoved into archetypes of an already-boring class that's only going to use its magical/psychic powers to improve its own durability, not do anything new or interesting.

It's retarded and lazy. Making an archetype is a thousand times easier than making a class capable of two distinct things (or even carve out its own niche), and we've already seen the kind of "amazing" gishes they've come up with so far, and most of their UA archetypes are even more trash.

I'm a fucking martialfaggot and I hate gishes to begin with, but I hate dead weight party members even more, and the blind dicksucking of Paladin that's going on at WotC is pretty shameful in light of their treatment of every other caster/melee hybrid.
>>
>>50809807
I think that could be a little much. I'd say it'd be good if you also remove the +1 stat bonus and then add another minor ability.
>>
>>50809871
>You can comfortably sleep in your armor.
>>
>>50809643

Okay, how is this then?

For the duration of this ability, as a spell attack, you can make a shove, grapple or disarm action against any foe within 100 ft. Substitute your spell attack result for your Strength (Atheletics) check.You must have line of sight to the target.
>>
>>50809867
Gracias.
>>
>>50809885
but can you take a shit in it?
>>
File: Blade_Runner_unicorn.png (211KB, 284x320px) Image search: [Google]
Blade_Runner_unicorn.png
211KB, 284x320px
>>50809461

Plot twist: we're all just our memories anyway
>>
>>50809886
What level
What duration, concentration or no?
>>
>>50809649
If you had a wizard PC you've previously played might be cool to make him the wizard and give the robot it's own personality and have then in conflict for control. Ambiguity works too, maybe the wizard is slowly losing more of himself with the shadow stuff that leaks out of the construct body.
>>
>>50809910
concentration, up to 1 min.

level.. shit idk, 3rd? What seems balanced?
>>
>>50809828

Battleragers are subobtimal, but at least they're fun. You won't have fun as a frenzy barb though/
>>
>>50809761
Don't listen to the ranger memes, that class is top tier. Beast master is a little weak but it's still pretty good if you use a wolf pet. Elemental monk is definitely weak but if one of your players wants to play it they probably won't care anyways.
>>
>>50809987
>that class is top tier
So top tier that WotC has been spending the last two years trying to rework it
>>
>>50809987
Or, you just let your monk player have fun.
>>
>>50808756
Was that a puzzle? Was there a riddle attached to determine the untrapped chest?
>>
>>50809516
I think you're trying to fix a problem with casters being un-shut-downable outside of other magic, but going about it the wrong way.

You can knock a martial's weapon away or bind their hands and they're pretty much helpless, but casters don't need in-hand (only in-reach) implements, can operate everything one-handed, and still have things they can do whether they're muted, disarmed, or unable to use their hands.

The fix to this is two-pronged:
First, component pouches are fucking gone. You need to have a focus in your hand to cast somatic spells. If that spell also has a GP-cost component, it is MAGICALLY consumed by your focus as you cast, no need for digging around. It goes without saying that the hand holding your focus also qualifies as the hand performing the somatic gestures, whether it be holding your magical orb, an arcane staff, a shield with a holy symbol on it, or fuck it I don't know a rapier with a harmonica in the grip.

This means that if you're disarmed, you've also lost your focus and there's no material-based casting for you. Any character or NPC that wants to shut down someone from casting a good chunk of its spells need only knock the shield/holysymbol/orb/staff out of a creature's hand, not worry about cutting the 10 goddamn component pouches they can reach at any moment.

Second, a new condition: Silenced
Magical effects can apply this, the spell Silence does it in a roundabout way by simply ending all sound, but more importantly, there is now a discrete condition for preventing verbal casting, and alternate means of imposing it. Are you gagged? You're Silenced. Did you fail a Concentration save vs. the Barbarian's Athletics or the Rogue's Acrobatics when they gave up one of his Attacks to karatechop you in the throat / slam the air out of your lungs? You're Silenced for a round. And despite this being a failed Concentration check, there was no damage involved so your Conc-based spell is still running.
>>
>>50810026
So now if you're an Extra Attack class and you want to shut that fucking Wizard NPC up, you start Athletics-ing the shit out of him to slap the magical orb outta his hand and elbow him in the throat. The mechanics for it are in the DMG, everyone can agree that's how this shit works, and there's no bizarre faffing about as people try to figure out exactly what you would roll to gag a creature mid-combat or how long stuffing a sock in their mouth and fixing it in place with a rope takes or whether they get reactions while that's going on.
>>
>>50810055
Really good. Also the most fun sorcerer archetype.
>>
Didn't see a response last thread. How are Shadow sorcerers? Considering making a Tiefling one, though I'm not sure how far you can push the death and shadow theme with sorcs. Not edgy, I swear.
>>
>>50810026
>Second, a new condition: Silenced
Magical effects can apply this, the spell Silence does it in a roundabout way by simply ending all sound, but more importantly, there is now a discrete condition for preventing verbal casting, and alternate means of imposing it. Are you gagged? You're Silenced. Did you fail a Concentration save vs. the Barbarian's Athletics or the Rogue's Acrobatics when they gave up one of his Attacks to karatechop you in the throat / slam the air out of your lungs? You're Silenced for a round. And despite this being a failed Concentration check, there was no damage involved so your Conc-based spell is still running.
I like this.
>>
>>50809995
>they'll never acknowledge that Bladelocks suck
>>
>>50809764
Magic initiate isn't worth it for GFB/BB. If you want that playstyle, you go EK and you go rapier+shield. You'll deal less damage, but you'll be tanky and can up dex instead of str.

If you get advantage or other effects such as bless then GWM becomes even more valuable, and will deal even more than just +1 or +2 damage per hit. You can also use the 'lucky' feat, or battlemaster benefitssuch as feinting attack or precision attack, though those are limited resources.
If your strength increases or you get a magical +1/+2/+3 weapon, overall GWM will be even more valuable due to increased hit chance (even though the increase in damage makes it a little less valuable)

If you get PAM, GWM is even more valuable as you're using lower damage weapons. You also are gauranteed to get a bonus attack and highly likely to get a reaction attack. The bonus attack is only 1d4 unless you trigger GWM's bonus, so it's even better to use +10 damage on that. Either way, more attacks is good.

So, I'd say, get the whole fucking lot. PAM+GWM+Sentinel+Extra Strength+Lucky.
It's a fighter, they can afford to do it.

If you don't want more damage? Fine, go rapier+EK+heavy armour master. That's a different playstyle.
>>
What's the best way to handle having a player actually engage in a game of cards with an NPC? The Rogue in my group used to be a gambler and carries a deck of cards, and I want to have a scene where he actually has to play a game that's more than just an ability check. We're playing over the internet, by the way.
>>
>>50810111
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/774357425272922112
The first game here might interest you.
>>
>>50810134
not that anon, but whoa nice
>>
>>50810111
>not loading up some fucking Yahoo! poker site or some shit and actually playing
>>
>>50809855
Linking it to dreams is a good idea, I rather like the significance of dreams in the TES setting.

>>50809909
I'd agree with you but in most d&d settings "souls" are actual tangible things.

>>50809912
Also not a bad idea, it'd give a bit of a sense of urgency to trying to properly attune the body.
>>
>>50810197
I want to do something like that, but I want to give him the opportunity to cheat as well, with Sleight of Hand and so on.
>>
>>50810095
You dodged my post, you devil-fucker.>>50810093
>>
>>50810258
Whoops. Thanks though.
>>
File: grog.jpg (41KB, 322x268px) Image search: [Google]
grog.jpg
41KB, 322x268px
>>50809929
>You won't have fun as a frenzy barb
>>
>>50810482
You won't.
You need some means of ignoring a level of exhaustion or making the Frenzy about some other benefit than "you just get an extra attack no matter what".

Like what if you could use your reaction to smack someone whenever you get hit, instead of whenever they move away? Maybe that doesn't even use your reaction up, so you can still opportunity attack, but no more than one "reprisal" in a round.
>>
>>50810482
I WOULD LIKE
>>
>>50810519
Fun is subjective.
>>
>>50810543

It is anon, but even using your frenzy power 1/day means you're giving up you ability to pass any skill checks outside of combat. 2/day and you're slower than a Dwarf.
>>
>>50809807
Remove the "nonmagical" clause. That's really what kills HAM.
>>
>>50810519
>what if you could use your reaction to smack someone whenever you get hit
That's literally the Berserker subclass capstone.
>>
>>50810600
But battlemasters already get something like that, but better.
>>
>>50809995
They reworked it because people bitch incessantly about it. Hunter ranger is stronger than every martial except paladin until level 11 and is still stronger if there are 3 or more targets.
>>
>>50810582
Not super related, but would it be broken to limit exhaustion level one to physical skills (ie. CON, DEX, STR checks)? I know there are ways to get mentally fatigued as well as physically (maybe you could get one or the other depending on the way you become fatigued), but the severity of one level of exhaustion seems pretty strong.
>>
Is a 1 lvl dip in fighter good for assasin rougd? Shields longbows and whips fighting style and second wind seem worth it cause ill never hit 20
>>
File: snow.jpg (365KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
snow.jpg
365KB, 1024x683px
Hello fellow fa/tg/uys!
I'm a new DM for a group of my friends in fifth edition. I have most of the books at my disposal and a DM screen. I am wondering what tips you would give to a new aspiring DM. My first session last night went well for my party of two but I have a feeling I am going to get a lot more buddies coming over.

tl;dr New DM would be most grateful for some tips to improve and understand the game better. Thank you have a wallpaper for your troubles.
>>
>>50810110
All good points. You really are thinking late game so let's do it

the break point for AC is around 21, wether or not you use a normal or +3 greatsword. So except vs the strongest dragons you will use GWM.

So GWM definitely is strong late game, even a must I'd say, but it is not the must early on that it is made to be imo.

>If you don't want more damage? Fine, go rapier+EK+heavy armour master. That's a different playstyle.
I made my initial post because I think you can go greatsword and not pick GWM at lvl 1.

>magic initiate not worth
well there is a lot of choice here, you seem to like bless, what about hex, or hunter's mark, expiditious retreat (combined with shocking grasp), I mean this gotta be worth a +2 to damage early on.
>>
>>50810685
Read the players handbook from cover to cover. Watch Matt colville YouTube series "running the game".
>>
>>50810685
Things wont go as planned and thats okay.
Let your players do cool stuff but dont lwt them cheese every fight
Have some random tables for backup
Have a list of names because my players want to know every random npc's name
>>
>>50810600
>something you will never get
>>
>>50810203
>the TES
>the The Elder Scrolls
But yes, that's kind of where I got it from.
>Wizard's material form is asleep due to being deadified in the explosion
>Soul is still awake due to the magic intended to transfer it
>Finds the nearest sleeping body to house it
>>
>>50810647
Why would you do that? Exhaustion is exhaustion, and generally physical and mental fatigue come hand in hand when exhaustion applies. I'm pretty fucking tired right now, and not only are my reflexes slower and my endurance weakened, I'm also generally less aware of my surroundings, less social, and would certainly not like to have to solve some logical problem.
>>
>>50810681
Go two deep instead. Action surge is ungodly strong, especially if you're sneak attacking.
>>
>>50810806
I actually stopped and reconsidered retyping the TES but figured it might be confusing to just say ES setting.

It would have been better to just type out "the Elder Scrolls setting" in hindsight.
>>
File: nature.jpg (405KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nature.jpg
405KB, 1920x1200px
>>50810735
>>50810734
Anything else gentlemen?
Have another wallpaper for you troubles.
>>
>>50810866
I never thought about it until now, but with action surge you can attack, action surge, ready an action then attack as a reaction for 2 sneak attacks. Nice catch.
>>
What is the better tank
Bearbarian goliath
Ham ek golaith
Ithink golaith is the best tank for the stones endurance
>>
>>50810933
Dont homebrew as a "fix" for something unless you're sure it's broken.
>>
>>50810815
It was just something that popped into my head as I was thinking about it. I don't really get mentally exhausted when I'm physically exhausted (or vice versa) so I was just projecting my experience onto the exhaustion mechanic. Then again I'm not exactly fighting dragons or decoding spellbooks or whatever so it's just conjecture.
>>
>>50810716
Bless is pretty nice because somebody can cast it and it'll affect multiple allies (3 or more), won't cost any actions beyond that (no bonus action to transfer it) and also provides a bonus to saves.

Yes, I'm mostly thinking levels 11+ or 5+ (Extra attack (2) with a load of ASIs or extra attack) but as for levels 1-4...

The lower levels are weird, because honestly a greatsword is only doing as much damage as shortswords (though the shortswords use a bonus action).
Thus, a monk will be dealing more damage than you at that point.

The deal with picking GWM at level 1 is that if you don't grab it then as variant human, you'll have to use one of your ASIs which would be for +strength on it.

Honestly, it gets a bit hard to work out what to do at the lower levels, but at least bless is a level 1 spell. I think level 5 is a generally nice point to model damage around.
>>
>>50810933
The point is for everyone to have fun, including you
>>
>>50810933
If a player tries to argue with you, or you're not sure of a ruling on something that you can't quickly look up, make a decision on the fly and make a note to figure it out after the game - don't let it interrupt the flow of the game.

Mini whiteboards are a great tool for initiative tracking or on-the-fly maps.
>>
>>50810987
>>50810716
Oh, not to mention on the subject of bless, firstly you can't use hunter's mark or hex on another player (so I guess we assume a cleric did it for us) and chances are the cleric's action will be less valuable than the fighter's at the immediate start of the fight (at the lower levels, anyway, if the cleric isn't throwing out spiritual guardians or something).
Also, if the cleric is concentrating, they can stay behind. If you were maintaining it, you might lose concentration quite easily from being attacked more. On the other hand, your con save would be better than the cleric's..

But, really, I guess if you have a cleric on your team who uses bless (They should!) then GWM suddenly becomes more viable.
>>
>>50810947
I'm a big fan of goliaths, but...
>Half Orc's Relentless Endurance.

>>50810985
I think getting physically exhausted might be different mechanically than actually suffering exhaustion levels. It's probably closer to losing HP, now that I think about it. You know your body is getting closer to its limits and that at some point you might make a fatal mistake (as in knocked to 0 HP), and the more HP you lose, the more you want to stop and rest. Despite all that, it doesn't really affect your mental acuity, wits, or general ability to function as long as you keep pushing yourself.
>>
>>50811042
When my party is confused on a ruling, we just go with something that makes sense at the time and someone who isn't involved in the next few rounds looks it up, then we retcon if necessary.

Happened last week when the Swashbuckler wasn't sure if he had to actually hit a target to be able to auto-disengage. He left himself next to an enemy as a result of whiffing every attack, and that enemy was going to attack him when its turn finally came around, but since we found the rule (while other people were doing turns) that said any attack ATTEMPT auto-disengages from the target, he retroactively moved away.
>>
My last few games were all ruined for me by extensive planning into PCs that barely fit into the campaign. A huge backstory that my DM offhandedly burns to the ground. My character choosing to stick with the party only under threat of death, or OOC because I don't want to end the campaign early. Our starting situation, a prison break, rendering my and someone else's characters completely useless since they needed reagents/their harp to be at all useful. Etc etc

So my new DM knows all this, I've complained to him about it before, but he still insists that we all create characters independently from each other, before we're told what the campaign's even going to be about, so that he can conjure a campaign to suit our assorted characters. This is pretty much exactly what my last DM said, so I'm not too optimistic about how successful he'll be at doing so.

So yeah, with all that said, how do I create a character that actually has a good IC reason to travel with an unknown collection of other PCs, all with unknown backstories and unknown motivations, in an unknown journey to accomplish an unknown goal?
>>
So how's this as an addition to a Ring of Poison Resistance?

Once per long rest, before you make a Constitution saving throw against poison, you can use your reaction to make a Constitution check instead, against the same DC. On a failure, you suffer the poison's effects and you can't benefit from any resistances or immunities to damage or conditions caused by that instance of the poison. On a success, you take no damage, the poison fails to affect you, and you store it in the ring.

At any point afterwards, you can use your action to unleash the poison from the ring in a similar way to how you were targeted by it. If it's a spell or another lasting effect, the duration for the charge stored in the ring is "Instantaneous". If it was delivered through an attack, then you can make one weapon attack as part of the same action. The case-by-case details are up to common sense and the DM's discretion. The ring can only store one charge of poison at a time.
>>
>>50811387
wanderlust
>>
>>50811273
I was just thinking of damagesponges. Halforcs ability can be replaced by a well placed healing word/etc.
But you wpuldnt be wrong on either of them
>>
>>50811404
Why not make it a magic item instead? Call it Talonas Embrace or something
>>
>>50810947
Rolled stats with high result (Otherwise you're far too ASI hungry), dex barbarogue hill dwarf that picks up the 'tough' feat
>>
>>50809380
I don't see why not. Depends on how your GM wants to rule it though. I'd personally start monk and then have an "encounter" with the light of what's its name. Yada yada yada chosen to be the light in the darkness yada yada. Take Devil's Sight to pierce the darkness and then something else fluffy as your other invocation. Avoid necromancy spells because fluff reasons or something. Would you plan on leveling any farther than 2?
>>
>>50811404
i second >>50811542 and say it should probably be it's own magic item. that being said, i don't think you're breaking anything by adding more utility to the current ring of poison resistance
>>
>>50808368
I have a cool character I use in every game of mine. I call it "the mysterious saver", he is a gunslinger that pops up when the party is in trouble and boom boom boom headshots all the baddies, he's saved them from a dragon flight, a lich, and an arch devil and the party isn't even level 8 yet! really fun character to play
>>
>>50811985
Ha ha, that sucks
No player agency

I let all my players roll for stats and if they don't get all 20s I just give them all 20s.
I give my players so many magical items, including the 'deck of many things' so that the players can just break all of reality itself if they get in trouble.

Now they get to be the cool guys instead.
>>
>>50811542
>>50811776
I mean... The idea was to make a more interesting ring of poison resistance, which is already a magic item after all. Just a passive resistance sounds very lackluster even if it's really helpful already by itself. Thus I figured I could add a fun trade-off. My main concern was if there is any major exploit that could be done with it, but I doubt it.
>>
>>50812015
pleb, i just let me players auto succeed, no rolls needed.
>>
>>50812093
fucking casual
my campaigns last for three minutes while I tell my players how they've killed everything and are the biggest heroes.
>>
>>50812214
Are you even trying?

My players have to generate a party of ragtag low-life fantasy wanna-be heroes who live in the times after the players have existed (granted, the players haven't played yet, but they're so awesome they've already defeated everything before the game even starts) who embark on an adventure in that world, and they get to enjoy seeing their characters die to the many monsters left behind from the wake of destruction of their would-be-characters.
>>
>>50809761
Yeah, but if your DM is good he will give you some itens to balance things out, if you think he would't do such thing and want to play a powerful character try other archetypes.
>>
>>50809987
>ranger
>top tier

Is.. Is this bait?
Please tell me this is bait.
>>
File: brock is a beautiful butterfly.jpg (37KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
brock is a beautiful butterfly.jpg
37KB, 400x267px
>>50810933
If you get more than 5 players, crack out a boardgame and play that instead.

Seriously, don't let yourself get roped into trying to run a game for 6-8 people, it starts becoming less fun for everyone.
>>
>>50812421
6 is fine, but that's the limit for me. Went to a game once that was 11. Never again
>>
File: barrel of monkeys.jpg (13KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
barrel of monkeys.jpg
13KB, 236x236px
>>50812530
That's not a game, it's a convention.
6 is ok if you have an experienced focused group.
4 is perfect if you are introducing newbs to table top games.
If you have an experienced group (or have gotten the above 4 sufficiently experienced) adding a 5th can work out pretty well.

If it's going to be a very Roleplay-heavy campaign I will allow for an extra seat, maybe.

I find that your average 6-8 player game tends to be a chaotic get-together and less of a serious session. At that point, a quirky rules-lite game like Paranoia or All Flesh Must Be Eaten is in order.
>>
>>50812421
>already get bored waiting for my three fellow players to START deciding what they want to do with their turn ONLY WHEN THEIR TURN BEGINS
I can't imagine it taking any longer.
>>
>>50812611
My sessions are 3 hours, due to various work/sleep schedules. That means enforcing time on individual dithering players.
I'm long past those early days when gaming meant marathon sessions with food breaks and general fucking around.
>>
>>50812530
If you have more than 5 players, which I had a large group once, 7 players.

We solved it by electing a Co-DM which worked wonders 6PC's 2GM's. Having a 2nd person to help track initative, handle some monsters, help people along with turns, voice NPC's and other interactions, enabling less-autistic sounding NPC-to-NPC conversations, able to split the party for serperate encounters, and in worldbuilding, bouncing rule ideas help make calls and rulings on the fly, awnser questions from the players, sharing thoughts and decisions off was amazingly useful. Co-DM also handles any "DMPC" or summoned allies, charmed NPC's or Party members, providing the almost impartial balance between the players controlling their summons perfectly, and the GM controlling them in a way that the players feel they lose total agency. Also helps establish that even though you summoned two dire wolves and they do obey your commands, they do it as best they can that might not be exact to your tactics or specification.

Also roll d20 and damage dice together, it's amazing how much that helps speed things up.
>>
Reposting a question from earlier.

Looking at various encounter builders, a battle with a Djinni, Dao, Marid and Efretti all at once would be a deadly encounter even for 20th level PC's.

But really would it be that strong? They are CR11 but I imagine a group of level 14+ would handle them without much trouble right?
>>
File: these stupid fuckers.png (1MB, 965x552px) Image search: [Google]
these stupid fuckers.png
1MB, 965x552px
>>50812611
This shit right here drives me up the wall.

It's like when you're in line for the concessions at a movie theater or are trying to order something at a fast food joint. You're in line, there's four groups ahead of you, so you're just checking out the prices and menu and figuring out what you want. Okay, that took about a minute, but you're good now.

Oh, only one person left in line.
>hello what would you like to order
>UHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>UHMMMMMMMM
>HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>HOW MUCH ARE THE NACHOS
>they are $4.50 as written on the giant signs above my head
>HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>I DUNNO, WHAT DO YOU WANT, PERSON-I'M-WITH?
holy shit you fuckers had five goddamn minutes in this line to figure it out, what the fuck were you doing this whole time
>>
>>50812693
>show up to fight
>just a bunch of genies
>there's one of each type
>hide around the corner until at least two of them have died to the others
ez pz
>>
>>50812611
>>50812718
>Fuck yeah I'm going do do X to Y next turn
>Oh shit, something happened so now I can't do it
>Oh shit, its my turn and now I have no idea what to do
>>
Why does Mearls still have a job?
>>
>>50812693
At that level, it completely depends on the party's equipment.
>>
>>50812794
Because your ideas are worse.
>>
>>50812775
I can count the number of times the slowpoke Wizard could possibly have had something come up that changes what he does in combat on one hand.

Even worse is the Barbarian who is already raging.
ALL YOU CAN DO IS HIT PEOPLE
WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE CALCULATING
YOU HAVE NO UNIQUE FEATS OR ABILITIES
YOU HAVE SHOWN A COMPLETE DISDAIN FOR ALTERNATE ATTACKS LIKE GRAPPLING OR SHOVING
ALL YOU ARE GOING TO DO IS HIT SOMETHING
THERE IS ONE ENEMY WITHIN RANGE
WE ALL KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO BASH HIM, JUST D O I T A L R E A D Y
>>
>>50809828
I am an absolute fucking monster in my game as a battlerager. I put out 95% of the party damage and completely decimate every encounter.

If your dm is cool and let's you enchant your armor so you can get past physical resistances then you're good. If not, you're still fine desu. It's fucking fun as shit. I would bet on my character over an optimized totem barb anyday. But that's because I'm a better player than any min maxer that has ever existed.

The UA barbs look SUPER fun tho.
>>
>>50812794
Because he's the scapegoat for all of Crawford's hackery.
>>
>>50812735
I tried this once and it worked great, walked into a room and saw a young dragon with a bunch of kobolds. Naturally we set up camp and waited for the kobolds to incite rebellion, then we sent our level 3 EK with battlemaster maneuvers and two feats to kill the remaining 8 kobolds.

For an 8INT wizard, he sure did come up with a good plan.

But seriously, one can assume that they Genies are happy working together for now for some ulterior goal.
>>
>>50812883
Uh, is it killing each other?
>>
>>50812883
Or Solomon the Lich is forcing them to cooperate against their wishes.
>>
File: lizard_man_by_inubiko-d4hpq2t.jpg (485KB, 623x690px) Image search: [Google]
lizard_man_by_inubiko-d4hpq2t.jpg
485KB, 623x690px
Do lizardmen have the highest unarmed strike of any official PC race?
>>
>>50813073
Yes.
>>
>>50812940
No, it is an alliance to once and for all destroy the perky thorn in their side who has wronged each of them personally on a deep and individual level.

Those blasted would be "Hero" adventurerers are too strong for the Genies to individually defeat, thus they proposed an alliance.
>>
>>50813233
>an efreeti wouldn't just throw 30-40 of his thousands of slaves at the party and kill them with action economy
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (600KB, 718x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
600KB, 718x1000px
hey, Iv got a conundrum. I was super hype about volo's guide to monsters, and saw lizardfolk as a playable race, and that they can eat people. so I thought it would be cool to have a voodoo priest/witch doctor inspired cook who eats people. and after a little homebrew "i know im sub human garbage" i had a barbarian/warlock Lizardfolk cook... but then i read their description and they are like. the opposite of what I wanted him to be....what would be a good justification for him being a charismatic, cannibalistic,southern drawl speaking, metaphor spewing, cardinal slave?

>pic attached is one I drew of my PC"
>>
>>50813073
It's a shame that you can't actually utilise all their racials
>Unarmoured defence scales with dex
>Bite scales with str
>Heal scales with con
>>
>>50813328
Just try to think of a backstory where a series of circumstances would lead to those traits, I guess.

Also that's surprisingly well drawn m8, good job
>>
>>50813328
your patron did it
>>
>>50813328
It's your fucking setting, you don't have to explain shit. None of the racial skills listed in Volo require them to be unemotional pragmatists.
>>
>>50808368
Phylo doesn't give a shit unless the party attacks it or other myconids
>>
File: croc.png (130KB, 800x666px) Image search: [Google]
croc.png
130KB, 800x666px
>>50813439
fair point. the rule of fun is the most important one to follow.
>>50813429
a fiend probably would do that. lol. he not a sinner, he is a magically infused sinner!
>>50813428
thanks mang. also that sounds about right.
>>
>>50813328
>>50813528
Fuck, that sounds/looks like a cool character. Now I wanna make lizardfolk instead of this dwarf I'm working on.
>>
Should I, as a DM, use the optional cleave rules?
>>
File: 1375406584820.gif (450KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
1375406584820.gif
450KB, 215x300px
>>50808289
Working on a homebrew setting where wizards spend decades practicing a single school of magic, either from a tutor or self-teaching with extremely rare resources. Does this sound like a reasonable campaign specific houserule?

>You may normally only take spells of a school that match your arcane tradition
>However, you may opt to learn a spell of any school with a spell level and cast it at a maximum level equal to a fourth of your wizard levels
>Cantrips are possibly free game. Still undecided

Primary schools would max at 9th level, secondary spells would max at 5th level, so an Evocation wizard could cast 9th level evocations but only 5th level abjurations at max level

Of course I'd run it by the group when I extend the setting to them to see who's on board, but does this kind of specialization houserule seem fair?
>>
>>50813394
At least they'll be competent in whatever class they take.
>>
>>50813394
sounds like a barbarian to me.
>>
>>50813613
It's your game, man.

If you mean if you should use it and not allow your players, I'd say have it as like a monster feature or something.
>>
>>50813394
you would think something that has natural armor would scale off con.
>>
>>50813271
>He would, if the PC's didn't raid his palace and forgeworks outside the city of brass, releasing all but a paltry handful of his slaves, the reason he joined the alliance.
>>
>>50813634

It seems horrible. Especially because you're taking away a huge amount of versatility to most Wizards but not giving them anything in return.
>>
File: Demogorgon_-_Steve_Prescott.png (746KB, 600x727px) Image search: [Google]
Demogorgon_-_Steve_Prescott.png
746KB, 600x727px
>>50813613
Completely unrelated question, is there anywhere with a good list of all the archfiends and what they represent?
Do people prefer their demons looking all demonic with flame scarred bits and hellish looking bits like http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-An_pISLLt8o/VWmvHmUS_xI/AAAAAAAAERg/clHpnd3Bjx8/s1600/232demogorgon5e.jpg or more like pic related.
>>
>>50813578
go for it. they look super fun.
>>
>>50813634
>Be a divination wizard.
>Get to 11th level, you learn the rather mediocre true-sight.
>No new spells until 17th level.
>>
>>50813817
>implying this is a problem when you'll never hit 11 to begin with
>>
File: EfzOmpy.gif (4MB, 391x391px) Image search: [Google]
EfzOmpy.gif
4MB, 391x391px
>>50813774
>>50813817

Was meant to make wizards more specialized, but maybe it's too restrictive. Maybe this?

>>You may normally only take spells of a school that match your arcane tradition
>However, you may additionally learn spells as normal from two other schools of your choice
>Cantrips are free game

So three schools in total. Is that a bit more lenient or no?
>>
>>50813727
No, because con doesn't increase the thickness of the scales, but dex still helps you dodge shit.
Any unarmored AC calculation that doesn't use dex doesn't make sense.

>>50813777
Any planar sourcebook probably has a list of devil princes. I can probably dig some up if you don't have any.
>>
>>50813867
>not 10 + Wis + Cha
>your incredible attractiveness and knowledge of how to put on a show allows you to flaunt your assets in such a way that the enemy would feel bad marring your flesh
>>
>>50813856

It's still taking away the benefit of being a Wizard (versatility) for nothing. It's not making them more specialized, it's forcing them to be more specialized and eliminating a huge part of the reason to play a Wizard.

Wizards get like 2-3 features outside of their tradition and then spells. They are literally all spells. If you take away their ability to use spells, you'll make them way, way, way worse. If I wanted to play a Wizard and then this house rule got implemented, I would just quietly change my character to a cleric/rogue/sorcerer.
>>
>>50813867
I got the 3.5 manual of the planes but there is no straight up list. I need it mostly to figure out for my setting why the archfiends haven't fully invaded the material plane when they have the Sigil portals straight in. Either I have to slow the portals ingress/egress rates so that they can't commit without losing their homes or just make small bits within every plane semi-neutral ground but who would maintain it?
>>
>>50813931
>not always rolling Rogue
>not dipping 1 level into Rogue for literally every class you play
I can't stop

in the setting, practitioners of arcane magic are extremely rare but hold great political, economic, and magical power. I was looking into a way to make people who choose to be wizards focused into more specialized schools of magic, reflecting their access to limited training

For example, Wizard McWhiteBeard may specialize in Abjuration because he found and deciphered ancient texts detailing that subject. Caster McDillPickle may specialize in Evocation because he was tutored by a legendary dragon but the dragon didn't know shit for illusion magic.

What about just limiting the spells a Wizard could start with only just a tiny bit, but afterwards it'd be as normal? Edge McDeath may have trained in the past in Necromancy, but during the adventure, he learns spells as normal and through tutelage/spellbook stealing?
>>
>>50814079

The problem with limiting the spells at thestart is that if you want to play evocation you're stuck picking multiple damage spells when you only need one or two at most. Any time you try to limit the Wizard's versatility, you nerf the class, and trying to limit the spells they can learn makes some schools really, really crappy (evocation is already one of the more 'mediocre' schools). I don't know if it's worth sacrificing

if nobody shows up with a wizard though then it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: 1375454259629.gif (584KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1375454259629.gif
584KB, 320x180px
>>50814158
Yeah, I dunno then. I'll keep bouncing the idea around. Maybe instead of limiting schools of magic I'd encourage/reward sticking to your school.

Or maybe I'd just ask players to do so. They're all good roleplayers and we enjoy challenging ourselves. Thanks for the feedback anon
>>
>>50814079

If people who practice arcane magic are rare, does that mean you're also going to alter and limit arcane tricksters, eldritch knights, and sorcerers?
>>
>>50814240
Beats me. Would be a case by case thing

This group fucking hates those archetypes though, and no one's played a Sorcerer, or a bard now that I think about it. The divine magic and martial love is strong here
>>
>>50814240
Idiots big enough to play either of those are already rare enough.
>>
>>50814270

Then it sounds like it won't be an issue. My point was just that if you're limiting one arcane class for fluff reasons, you would have to limit all of them really.
>>
File: 1454719141273.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1454719141273.gif
1MB, 268x274px
>>50814311
Now that I think about it, yeah, what was the point?

Fucking hell I'm retarded

Now I just gotta write up an ENTIRe pantheon because the group perma-Cleric's one real demand is new gods whenever a new game starts

He brings so much beer and awesome roleplayto the table I don't have the heart to recycle gods for him
>>
>>50814002
Neither faction of fiends (devils and demons) can really commit to conquering the Prime Material because the other faction will just swoop in and kill them while they're weak. So they're stuck fighting each other for approximately eternity.

None of them really represent anything in the basic setting. They have qualities that define them, and some archdevils are strongly tied to a cardinal sin, but that's about it.
>>
>>50814365
>take pantheon from obscure game
>rename them
>mix up some of their symbols/practices
>???
>>
>>50814366
Hmm, i'm keeping them in the great wheel alignment around the material globe so I do need to add a direct link between the two in some way to make this a legitimate threat and add a bit of the bloodwar on the prime material. Should I do it through demiplane proxies or just have them cut straight through the center of the earth? Cause I'm gonna add some of the archfiends/gods from Crawl Stone Soup just cause I like em.
>>
Speaking of Pantheons, do you guys like to use 'real world' deities for your Pantheons so your players already have a feel for them or do you make new ones up?

Or a mix of both?
>>
>>50814401
I've done it a few times over the years, but I'm running out of sources to snatch from. Happen to have any?
>>
>>50814401
If it's obscure enough, you don't even have to bother renaming anything.

>>50814443
I am talking about the Great Wheel. Usually battles in the Blood War happen in the Outer Planes, but rarely both factions have a reason to be somewhere in the Prime and they kill each other there. But AFAIK they can't really get there without being summoned or under special circumstances.
>>
>>50810934

you can only sneak attack once per turn
>>
I'm a new DM looking to make my own adventure setting. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for programs to make overworld/city maps. Donjon works for dungeons and stuff. I was also thinking of picking up gaming paper or something similar for more specific dungeons. However that kind of thing doesn't really work for the larger scaled stuff.
>>
How would I play a Good Conquest Paladin? Also, what do you think of the Oath spells?
>>
>>50814592
think about locations that don't exist in real life, like a sea of obsidian shards. giant orbs of water with cities at there centre. underground oceans.
>>
>>50814592
There's nothing that makes decent city maps.

If you just want a basic worldmap that's not too large, Inkarnate is easy enough. Otherwise you're looking at something like CC3 which is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>50814646
Easy. 'Everybody would be much better off if they were united under once force. There would be no unnecessary conflict and if forces of evil attacked everybody would be prepared to fight back for the sake of each other. Maybe I might even put democracy in or something.'

Of course, they have to be somewhat deluded, as there are problems with that philosophy.
>>
Would you let a UA Ranger have a not-Dire Wolf as a pet, probably using a modified Riding Horse statblock?

I wanna be wolf cavalry.
>>
>>50814716
nigga that's like half of all videogame and anime villains
>i only started a war that kills billions so that i could unite the world and end corruption and war
That shit isn't Good. Your intentions don't matter as far as alignment is concerned, only your immediate actions.
>>
>>50814727
Just be a Small race.
>>
>>50814679
Not quite the answer I was looking for, but still good advice. I'll put it to good use.

>>50814715
Thanks for Inkarnate. I'll check it out. I found CC3 earlier however the website won't load up for me. I only get the background, so I never really bothered looking into it.
>>
>>50814646
You will need an obviously evil enemy that you can fight. Say fiends control some place. Make it your overarching goal to conquer and save that place.
When fighting enemies, be brutal and prioritize intimidation to lessen death. You want to crush morale, not take as many lives as possible.
Be a good guy towards law abiding citizens and other good guys.
>>
>>50814002
The Lady of Pain prevents sigil being used as a military asset. Only person to ever pull one over on her is Vecna, and he's the biggest troll in the multiverse.
>>
>>50814751
>being a manlet
Nah
>>
>>50814565
But multiple times in a round, which is what he referred to...
>>
>>50814815

wouldn't a readied action be considered part of your turn?
>>
Does Morax have a holy/unholy symbol?
>>
>>50814870

No. Per turn means each set of actions per creature. E.g. you go (your turn), Bodo the barbarian goes (Bodo's turn), etc. all the turns from top to bottom of initiative constitute one round. A rogue can sneak attack on their turn, and then sneak attack on someone else's typically through a readied action or attack of opportunity.
>>
>>50814778
Setting i'm doing is basically transplanting planescape and the Outlands onto the material plane by means of substantial magical fuckery and bloodwar shenanigans brought on by a sudden disappearance of the Lady. The planar portals spread around the circumference of the world while Sigil is the center. One of the later quests I'm going to give to the party when they're mid level is to figure out where the Lady went and whether or not to bring her back if they even can.
>>
>>50810681
>>50810866
>>50810934
While you're at it, go for 5 levels, because the extra attack will more than make up for the loss in damage and you can pick up something such as battlemaster's reaction attack to deal sneak attack outside of your turn or champion for more likely crit sneak attacks.

The real problem is that reaction attacks on rogue means you can't use uncanny dodge.
>>
>>50814960
I'd imagine the beasts that roam the outlands would make getting to portals tough, in addition to not knowing what the keys for portals are. It'd be mass hysteria at first, sure. But I imagine without the Lady powers of every stripe would send emissaries to secure the gatetowns first with the kind of bullshit magic planetars, solars, pit fiends, etc. would have. The funny thing wouls be the gatetown to limbo, since I don't really see any of the natives being particularly "protection" bent, making it a massive source of raw materials.
>>
>>50814943

hmm ok, i'll keep that in mind for my campaign
>>
File: cassini_climate.png (79KB, 504x253px) Image search: [Google]
cassini_climate.png
79KB, 504x253px
>>50815054
I'm using an altered form of this map so i'm still working on putting the whole thing together. First time GM so i'm at the stage where the setting is functional so i'm working on how to function as a GM before putting some more details in it. General theming of the setting is a more gray morality though the setting as a whole has a chaotic slant. I should probably figure out exactly where the major cities are going at least before I start.
Not!Australia is going to be Far Realms central.
>>
>>50808289
>that pic
Could you...you know...post the rest of it? I'm a huge sucker for Asterix.
>>
>>50815276
That's the only one I saved sorry breh
>>
>>50815319
It's okay anon. I always expect to be hurt ;_;
>>
I'm playing my first game of D&D with my friends right now, running through Storm King's Thunder. I'm currently a level 4 bard, but I want to dip into sorcerer to get wild mage, as my group thinks it would be fun. Is this a viable option? Is only one level good, or do I need at least 3 to make sorcerer viable?
>>
>>50815411
Wild magic only triggers when you cast a sorcerer spell, unless your DM triggers it through tides of chaos.

Especially at level 4, you don't want to be multiclassing. Level 5 is when you get level 3 spells.
>>
>>50815368
I got it from a storytime on /co/, check the Archive, it might still be there.
>>
>>50815494
My DM was planning to trigger it on every spell cast.
>>
>>50815499
Thanks, I'll check.
>>
>>50815532
Enjoy being dead I guess
>>
>>50815190
You've probably heard this before, but Matt Colville and Matt Mercer's GM tips are great. Mercer's are more general and short, Colville's are more in depth and longer.
>>
>>50815532
If it's only a 1d20 triggers only on a 1, it's not worth delaying your spell progression for a 'fun' feature unless you really badly want a sorcerer spell such as 'shield'. I'd at least wait until level 5 before multiclassing out.

If it's every single spell, prepare to fucking die. I hope you're an elf or something so that you don't turn yourself into a baby.
>>
>>50815592
I'm still reading through the books but i've seen a bit of Colville and he seems great thus far.
Still trying to figure out where everything goes, especially since I went with the extraplanar bullshit that I did. Adding a bit of familiar territory with some stuff I already know (DCSS shit) makes the job easier but I can't rely wholly on it.
Also why I was asking the spoilered question up >>50813777 because I want to make at least a couple demons as creepy/scary as physically possible and not just because of a stat block.
>>
>>50814751
A dire wolf is a large beast, you don't need to be a small race to ride it.

>>50814727
That sounds like a really weak dire wolf.
>>
>>50813777
The second one, except even more terrifying. Demons should be literally the most badass/fucked-up creatures in existence.
>>
>>50815748
Now between that link and this pic
I'm still trying to get a feel for whether flesh or brimstone is scarier.
>>
File: i am the picture of good health.png (132KB, 272x415px) Image search: [Google]
i am the picture of good health.png
132KB, 272x415px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Mind%20Flayer%20Arcanist

NPC spells now turn into links to the appropriate spells on the spells page.
>>
So dumb beginner question but I was thinking of rolling a goliath paladin and was just wondering about weapons. In the race it makes it seem like the goliath can carry much heavier stuff than other races so is it possible for them to wield a 2-handed greatsword single handed?
>>
>>50815739
Yeah but the requirements for a UA Beastmaster pet are a bit strict so I figured going on the weak side would be safer. Really you aren't even "supposed" to have anything not Medium and CR 1/4.
>>
>>50815799
Different anon her. 5e Demogorgon's artwork is easily his best rendition if you want a more scary demon lord. 4e's Demogorgon art works for the fleshy kind of demon

I'm leaning to 5e, but that's me personally. I may be biased
>>
>>50815928
Honestly, I'd have them start with a standard wolf and call it a Dire Wolf pup, and then give them the option of having the pup forgo their 4th and 8th level ASI in order to become a Dire Wolf.
>>
>>50815799
This new one, every time. Elemental and raw.
>>
>>50816004
This reminds me, I have to go fish my DCSS god descriptions out from /rlg/ for the ones I did, they might help get that flavor flowing again.
>>
>>50815848
Mechanically, no. Carrying gear isn't the same as wielding a weapon in combat. Flavour-wise you can wield it with your dick, DM-permitting, but it'll always be a two-handed weapon.
>>
>>50816086
Fair enough. Thanks for giving me an answer although it's not like I'm that worried if things don't stick by the rules. It's looking like the party is going to consist of a LG, LE, and CN character so I doubt it's gonna go well.
>>
>>50816132
Start planning a new party
>>
Does anyone else think it's bullshit that most archetypes withholds the most interesting abilities until level 11 to 17? I believe in giving out a cool, over-the-top capstone but if it's just the ability to add +3 to attack or get an extra attack when you have advantage then it's basically Wizards just telling you to go fuck yourself and play a caster all over again. There's a spell that does everything better, sooner. Why do they hate martial characters so much
>>
>>50816154
Yeah. It's kinda hard when trying to team up with a nihilistic douchebag and someone who never grew up from thinking everything dark edgy and mysterious is cool. Legit the LE player's backstory was going to consist of him being the bane of civilizations and scourge of many before forsaking his weapon and being a monk. That's the kinda shit I'm dealing with.
>>
>>50816235
>I bet the casters did this!
>>
>>50815837
This looks amazing anon!
>>
>>50814870
Not if taken during another's turn I assume.
>>
>>50816235
I've heard of house rules where the game only goes to lv 10 but the abilities each class gets are received with half the levels. As in if you would get x at 8, you get it at 4.
>>
>>50808289
How often do my brilliant plans work?

Well, I'm playing a sword and board knock off of Zapp Brannigan...and so far my brilliant plans work even when they by all rights shouldn't.
>>
>>50816351
Wouldn't that mean that health doesn't scale properly with everyone's damage output?
>>
>>50815837
thanks guy
>>
>>50814727
>Not being Kobold jungle jaguar cavalry and pouncing on enemy cavalry from the treeline
>>
Blink ain't what it used to be, but is it still worth taking on a list of spells known compared to other defensive spells, like Mirror Image?
>>
>>50816235
add more antimagic fields or creatures with magic resistance
>>
Just to confirm something
you can't crit fail or succeed anything but attack roll, correct?
>>
>>50816803
Correct. And it's only "critical" in the sense that a 20 is always a hit (and a critical hit) and a 1 is always a miss.
>>
>>50816803
RAW, yes, but often DMs houserule skill crits as well.
>>
>>50814461
I'd recommend looking into Dragaera. Nobody knows that fucking book series, so you'll probably be fine ripping their afterlife/gods wholecloth.
>>
>>50815987
I was thinking either that or the Dire Wolf is poisoned/cursed/sick and the Ranger is working to make them better, so they'd start as a normal size Dire Wolf but with babby HP and stats and the Ranger can't (or won't for their doggos health) ride them more than once a day for short distances.

Gives them a good reason to join the party, say the bad dudes have the cure/anti-curse maguffin/antidote.
>>
What's a good, fun, and versatile class/character? Really looking for something I'm just going to have a lot of fun playing.
>>
>>50816952
Bard
>>
>>50816952

Rogue, shadow monk, Bard, wizard.
>>
>>50816952
Rogue
Bard
Fighter
Wizard

Lots of different ways to equip, build, and outfit each of them. Multiclassing helps open up even more versatility.
>>
Which is the best rogue/thief kind off class?
>>
>>50817114

rogue
>>
>>50817114
Gee Anon I don't know.

It's Bard/Rogue multiclass
>>
>>50817114
Shadow monk
>>
>>50815837
I don't mean to sound ungrateful because this stuff is great, but are you going to change the class pages at any point so that they don't always list the features of every archetype at once? It's a bit of a mess, especially for wizards.
>>
>>50817196
I will. At this time I still need to figure out how I want to display that data and how to go about parsing the data I'm scraping, without having to rewrite everything.
>>
Is there any Assassin or Bounty Hunter class?
>>
>>50817114
>>50817341
Do you people even read the PHB before asking?
>>
Is there any homebrew to implement more metamagic for full casters? I know sorcerers get it but its only for sorcerer spells and they don't exactly get the most spells.
>>
>>50817341
Assassin archetype for Rogue.
Shadow Monk can work for ninja type assassins as well.
College of Whispers Bard from the recent Bard Unearthed Arcana is also fairly appropriate for assassin type characters.
>>
is there, like, some kind of spellcasting class, such as a wizard, or some such?
>>
>>50817013
I thought about the Shadow Monk but my party has a Pugilist, and I wouldn't want to feel like I'm stepping on their toes by also doing unarmed combat.

>>50817005
>>50817013
>>50817060
With all the UAs it seems like there's a lot more Bard colleges than I thought. They all seem pretty awesome, how do they compare to each other? Sorry if I'm asking lots of questions. I've been stuck playing a character I really just haven't had fun with in months and just want to actually look forward to playing again.
>>
>>50817407
Bard has no real bad archetypes. Just go for flavor
>>
File: Capture.png (203KB, 749x293px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
203KB, 749x293px
>>50817326
Something that might be simple (I'm not a computer smart person) would be just a simple drop down menu for each archetype, and a more complex version would be one where you select the archetype and it puts it all in order by level nice 'n easy to read.

Like I said I don't know shit about making fancy webpages so I have no idea if either of these are easy to make or not.
>>
>>50817363
>>50817401

Are they good?
>>
Building my first Eldritch Knight. He's a middle-aged knight who decides to study magic and set out to find a death befitting a knight, instead of dying in his sleep.

Relevant stats are 16 str, 14 con, 16 int. Heavy armor, sword and board. Warcaster feat and a +1 stat bump to Str and Int so far. Dueling style.

My cantrips are Light and Blade Ward. My three first level spells are Burning Hands, Thunderwave and Shield.

Any tips for a first time EK player?
>>
>>50816422
The same guy in charge of allowing that houserule is also in charge of the number of enemies and/or their health.

Honestly, there's not a whole lot of later abilities that drastically improve damage until you get to capstone territory. Most of it is "lets you do cool shit".
>>
Is there another source of monsters apart from the monster manual?

Im looking in particular for elite animated armours and elite skeleton champions / a skeleton king.

Or if not, are there templates I can use?
>>
>>50817611
Assassin is best in show for the class given the power of its level 3 feature.
Shadow monks are fucking redonkulous as scouts or infiltrators. Non-stop teleportation, silence, darkvision/darkness, and pass without trace allow you to go anywhere you want without fear of getting fucked.
>>
How's the UA Beast Ranger? I always hear people say the UA Ranger is good but never anything about the specific archetypes.
>>
>>50817877
There are new monsters in each of the adventure books, and almost 100 new stat blocks in Volo's Guide to Monsters.
>>
File: distrust.png (235KB, 304x302px) Image search: [Google]
distrust.png
235KB, 304x302px
So I'm getting pretty fucking tired of one of my players who keeps crying and moaning about getting exactly the magic items he wants.
He went full autism and made a list of like 12 items for his "perfect character" and has pretty much flat out told me he doesn't want to progress the story until he has all of the items. He just wants to go on dungeon diving runs and seeking out magic item shops.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have him stumble across a bag of holding which just so happens to have every single item he wants. Then I'll go with one of two outcomes which I haven't decided on yet;
1: Have him constantly hunted by really high level bounty hunters because a level 7 with all these legendary items would be a very good target for thieves
2: Literally everything he does kills anything around him and he's never going to even have to roll another die again and his character is basically a god and it just sucks all the fun out of it and he hopefully realizes how much of a bitch he's being

Am I being too passive aggressive here?
>>
File: 1354053046080.png (513KB, 370x472px) Image search: [Google]
1354053046080.png
513KB, 370x472px
>>50808289
>How often do your "brilliant plans" actually work?

literally never
>>
>>50817877
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
Most resources have something in them. Use this to find what you need.
>>
>>50808686
That's funny because puzzles that don't gear off skill at least somewhat make me tear my hair out because suddenly everyone's 5 INT Barbarian turns into Oedipus Reborn.
>>
>>50817929

yeah, i'd just ignore what he wants and continue on with what i was doing if i were in your shoes
>>
File: New Vampires.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
New Vampires.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50817877
This could work.
>>
>>50817857

Shield is your bread and butter. Get Absorb elements somehow, those two spells are godlike.
>>
>>50817988
>>50817942
>>50817928
much love /tg/
>>
>>50817944
anon, i'm not gonna NOT solve the ancient magic Lights Out puzzle or solve the obvious riddle just because i'm not playing the wizard

no one gives a shit about mental stats. it's been this way forever. all of your physical stats are supposed to be rigorously enforced but the only time DMs remember you have mental scores is when it's time to roll for them, there is no "you are insufficiently intelligent to answer the riddle" or "you don't have enough wisdom to not stick your hand in the hole" or "regardless of what you roll your charisma is 8 so i say you're ugly and smell and are a jerk so no one in the tavern wants to talk to you"
it's always "yes well you have 24 strength but the polymorphed wizard has 32 so you can't open the stone door but he can get fucked dave"

so screw it
intelligence is Wizard Power
that's it
>>
>>50817857
Yeah, just play a War Cleric, Paladin, or Valor Bard instead.
>>
>>50817857
>>50817997

Different anon, are the Gish cantrips (Greenflame Blade, Blade Ward, etc.) any good for EK?
>>
Inexperienced DM here with a new party. We were running Lost Mines all fine until we came up to the dragon. I probably should have made the encounter more memorable, but the dragon wanted nothing to do with the party.
Then, the mage pretty much attacked it after conversation ended. Obviously it retaliated with poison breath, and the mage literally called me out on "making that attack up", so I showed him the fucking manual. After they ran away from him, the second day the dragon flew to hunt and they had a chance to steal Hew(the party wanted to lie to Reidoth and I decided that would be the evidence they drove him away).
After the same mage failed multiple rolls finding the damn thing under the gold, the dragon found them, they hid in Reidoths hut and got him killed, and ran away in different directions while leaving the axe on the ground. The next day, one of the other players sent me copy pasted pages off reddit on how "cool" the Venomfang encounter was. I'm probably just going to ask him to DM honestly.
>>
>>50818156
>one of the other players sent me copy pasted pages off reddit on how "cool" the Venomfang encounter was. I'm probably just going to ask him to DM honestly.

>party attacks dragon in lair like morons
>party runs like fucking bitches when they get their asses handed to them
>party fails their fucking goals and causes collateral damage because of their selfish idiocy
Tell him to fuck off and get the rest of the party to not be a bunch of cowards before bitching at you. At the same time I feel you are hiding information from us so I reserve judgement.
>>
>>50818121

They're not as good for an EK as they are for other classes, but up until level 11 they're still Pretty great. 1-4 they're super good, 5-6 it's an option you pick between, 7-10 it's incredible, 11+ it returns to being an option depending on what you need moment to moment.
>>
File: hannya_by_asahisuperdry-d94s9zr.jpg (352KB, 1600x2617px) Image search: [Google]
hannya_by_asahisuperdry-d94s9zr.jpg
352KB, 1600x2617px
so if i multi class barbarian and monk wisdom, dex, AND constitution increase my AC right? i don't lose one of those benefits by multi classing?
>>
>>50818364
You can only benefit from one kind of Unarmored Defense.
>>
>>50818388
WHAT

NOOOOO

where does it say that?
>>
>>50818409
The multiclassing rules.

Even if you did get both, you'd have to choose between them, not stack them, because that's how AC calculations work. If a feature says your AC becomes a number, it becomes that number.
>>
>>50818272
I mean honestly I'm trying to improve my game, it's not like I'm cheating to get high grades on a test, I actually want some opinions on the whole situation. I admit the fact that I should have probably made the dragon interactive but it just felt natural to have it not care at all about the party, and after the attacked it I tried giving them a second chance. The mage attacking it was even met with criticism from the party, since they weren't going to as far as I can tell.
>>
>>50818430
well shit

but if i multi class i can choose which unarmored defense i want right? it doesnt automatically switch to the class i multi into?
>>
>>50818461

Yes you pick which one you want to use.
>>
>>50818461
ya ofc you get to choose. any dm that would rule otherwise is a fucking faggot
>>
>>50818461
Rules As Written, you only get the first type you unlock, because you can't get the feature a second time, but most DMs would probably let you choose which one you want to keep.
>>
File: ---.jpg (126KB, 563x364px) Image search: [Google]
---.jpg
126KB, 563x364px
>>50818430
>lizardmen barbarians and monks get to go fuck themselves

GUESS I'LL JUST PLAY A VARIANT HUMAN
>>
>>50818501
>>50818509
>>50818519
okay last question

as far as i know there are no requirements to start out as a class, but to multi into one you need to reach certain seemingly arbitrary requirements

i want to start as a lvl1 barb and then go full monk but the 13 wisdom requirement seems like bullshit

thoughts?
>>
>>50818642

That is true yes. No requirements at level 1, but must meet them to progress. And the 13 wis isn't really that wacky - without it, your AC is shit and your save DCs are shit.
>>
>>50818642
i dont get it.

whats the question

youre just bitching.
>>
>>50818667
>>50818670
i'm saying that i want to use dec and con as my unarmored defense so i dont want to waste stats in wisdom but the requirement for multi classing doesnt seem do have a reason

as a dm would you allow someone to multiclass without reaching the requirement?
>>
Can a UA Ranger beast use their ASI for a Feat, assuming the Feat makes sense for an animal to take (ie: Mobile or Charger)?
>>
>>50818703

Eh, maybe, depends on if they were doing it to game the system or just make a fun character. In the latter case, sure, I'd allow it.
>>
>>50818703
Start as a monk, then go into barb. problem solved.
>>
>>50818732
By RAW and RAI: no. At the table: ask your DM.
>>
>>50818771
if i go back and level into monk that wont reset anything will it?
>>
>>50818818
Shouldnt.

ask your dm
>>
I wish I knew how to roleplay
>>
>>50819070
start with saying what your character does

"Bob will go and pick up that rock" or "Bob tells her that blah blah"

and then replace your character's name with 'I'

"I will go and pick up that rock" or "I tell her that..."

eventually you'll just get into character and just talk like him
>>
Best class for a 5e newbie?
>>
>>50819102
fighter's are easy cuz all they generally do is basic attack. barbarians are fairly easy too.

if you'd rather play a caster, warlock is probably the easiest.

if you're not new to tabletop in general and are experienced in RPGs you can probably just jump into any class and be fine, 5e isn't particularly difficult to comprehend.
>>
>>50819096
It just feels so unnatural. I'm not sure how to describe it. You know that feeling when you detect a conversion is one-sided and the person on the other end would rather you stop talking? it feels like that all the time.
>>
File: 1482391389853.jpg (21KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1482391389853.jpg
21KB, 500x375px
>Want to take Find Familiar for Ranger since it'd be the perfect fit for their theme
>Don't want to come off as a cheesing fuckwit with my scout Owl since I always hear people bitching about how Find Familiar is OP as shit without even getting into "help" shenanigans
>>
File: efaySOC.jpg (258KB, 758x1100px) Image search: [Google]
efaySOC.jpg
258KB, 758x1100px
Why would you play a wizard over a sorcerer or warlock or sorclock?
>>
>>50819129
just dont take too long with your sentences and descriptions

regardless of how good a roleplayer someone might be no one likes a chatty kathy
>>
File: u wot m8.jpg (31KB, 638x638px) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.jpg
31KB, 638x638px
>>50819140
>Find Familiar is OP
>>
>>50819145
Because Minor Conjuration is the fucking bees knees.
>Use Keen Mind feat
>See a key on a table somewhere
>Remember exactly what it looks like so you can make an exact copy for a door
>Make Crowbars and other useful tools
>Make a chair to look smug in at will
There's a gorillion uses for it without even getting into cheese like "lmao bucket of Acid"
>>
File: A Darkness Most Fowl.jpg (75KB, 561x474px) Image search: [Google]
A Darkness Most Fowl.jpg
75KB, 561x474px
>>50819140
>Be Warlock
>Choose Alquam as Patron
>Get owl
>????
>Profit
>>
File: u wot m8.gif (2MB, 445x329px) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.gif
2MB, 445x329px
>>50819167
>Minor Conjuration
>>
>>50813328

The big problem with Volos is that the races come with guidelines they insist on for roleplaying for too many of the races and it seems pretty stifling. The best bet is to throw them out as rules and make it more like guidelines like "Dwarf likes mines" rather than "Your Kenku is racially autistic"
>>
>>50819145
>warlock/sorclock
wizard is far more versatile and has better utility than warlock straight up, sorclock competes just cuz they share a spell list but wizard still beats them

>warlock/sorclock vs sorcerer
multiclassing kills spell progression, especially anything beyond a 1 lvl dip.
>>
>>50819156
every time I've tried to roleplay I've felt that even if I'm not saying anything. Somehow when others start getting in character I become lost. I feel like anything I try to say will be more of an interruption than anything else.
>>
>>50819129

it feels unnatural because it is, pretending to besomeone you aren't while there's no semi-plausible evidence that you are that person is crazy

but everyone else is willing to play along, so go along
>>
>>50819158
You have a scout that can look ahead and pinpoint every enemy in a camp, with you even seeing through it's eyes out to 100 feet without the enemy thinking twice because, hey, it's an owl in the woods, nothing odd about that!

or you have a 1 hour cast that's useless because your DM kills it as soon as you have it leave your shoulder (I've had DMs literally, LITERALLY, not "figuratively literally", kill my Familiar with "rocks fall, your familiar dies", no save or anything the turn I decided to have it scout ahead) because they don't want you seeing what's around the next corner, or the Orcs in their encampment suddenly decide that the Owl doing normal Owl things needs to die for no reason at all.
>>
>>50819129

I know exactly what you're talking about and it has taken me a long time to start getting more comfortable with it. The main thing to think about is trying to get into your character's head which revolves around figuring out their motivations. I'm not some great RP'er or anything but my current character is fleshed out enough that I'm getting the DM to say "Of course she does that." which means i'm doing a good job of establishing the character.

>>50819145

True Polymorph.
>>
>>50819145
Wizards potentially have access to every spell in their spell list unlike sorcerers or warlocks. Also they don't have to deal with wild magic backfiring on them
>>
>tabaxi

Great, now I can't get rid of players wanting to be catgirls

Thanks WotC
>>
File: e38.png.jpg (40KB, 640x527px) Image search: [Google]
e38.png.jpg
40KB, 640x527px
>>50819228
>9th level spell
>that bards and warlocks also get
>>
>>50819245
>Bards can get it in addition to Wish and one of their own Level 9 Spells
>>
>>50819200
you're playing with friends arent you? dont sweet it so much. just try to think about what your character likes, dislikes, can do, and can't do. make him as opposite to you as you can

be sure to give him some kind of flaw like being scared of heights
>>
>>50819218
Not defending your GM, but if I was a group of Orcs hiding in the woods, I'd probably shoot suspicious nosey owls too. Since I'd know that Rangers and Druids exist and migt not take too kindly to me raping all the wood nymphs
>>
>>50819245

Sure, but they don't get a wizard's style while they do it.
>>
>>50819266
Anon, Gandalf was a multiclass Wizard/Cleric/Fighter/Bard. He looked cool because of min-maxing.

Your Wizard is a frail nerd with his nose in a book cowering behind the Barbarian. He has no style
>>
>>50819286
>this is what martial players actually believe
>>
>>50819286

Hey if the barbarian gets off on having the shit kicked out of him, who am I to interfere?
>>
Are the Gamma Five rules solid? I've wanted to run Gamma World since forever but it seems like the game is cursed for me - whenever I attempt to run it something always comes up that cancels the session.
>>
>>50819313
GTFO /5eg/
>>
What's the easiest character to do level up with? As in, least amount of time choosing stuff / minimal "bad" builds if you don't want to read the entire spell description section of the PHB.
I tried playing a Wizard up to 10th level, and the class was kinda fun to play, and the toolbox was nice, but leveling it between sessions was a pain in the ass.
I just want to roll some dice and improv some dialogue, not do spreadsheets of best DPR (our rogue did this) or weigh 12 different builds and spell choices.
>>
>>50819380

Anything martial. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue are probably your best bets.
>>
what if i don't want to game the system and use a hand crossbow?

Is longbow sharpshooter fighter still good?
>>
File: 1476672519004.jpg (60KB, 516x493px) Image search: [Google]
1476672519004.jpg
60KB, 516x493px
>playing a wizard
>when sorcerers get metamagic
>when sorcerers can take a warlock dip
>>
>>50819380
Easiest would probably be Champion Fighter. Just choose ASIs or a specific feat whenever you level, roll HP, and see if you get anything from leveling as a Fighter, ocassionally getting something else from Champion archetype that is really bad, and you only picked it for the crit in 19-20 at level 3.
>>
>>50819420

at least i'm not a stupid poet-magician
>>
>>50819449
>implying beta bitch wizards have anything on bards

LMAO
>>
>>50819403
play what you want man. Its really difficult to fuck yourself over royally.

hand crossbow fighter sounds like fun. just dont dual wield them and youre fine. you might be better off with a heavy crossbow too, but you get mad style points for a hand crossbow.
>>
>>50819420
Veruca's promise for anybody wondering.
>>
I don't really get what the Warlock is all about. What are it's advantages/disadvantages vs other magic casters mechanically?
>>
So I'm a brand new player and rolling up a noble human fighter prepping for our first session in a few weeks.

I noticed the PHB doesn't explicitly say mounts need to be creatures as far as I can tell.

Is it feasible to either intimidate or pay off the first large sized humanoid I see to piggyback me around everywhere so I can build around mounted combat?
>>
>>50817929

General rule is a character can't wear/wield more than 3 magic items. Magic items require attunement. Then have some items that are sentient and won't tolerate other items so they harass him and curse him till he gets rid of the offending item(s).
>>
My players went and got themselves sent to the plane of fire last session and have no plane shifting spells among them.

Long story short they're looking to make a deal with a devil to get back home and I'm struggling to think what sufficiently evil thing a devil would ask of them.

I've been thinking maybe recovering some belongings of his from some Githyanki pirates and the goods turn out to be slaves or super addictive drugs or something but I'm not too keen on it. Any ideas?
>>
>>50819551
You're asking the wrong question. The warlock isn't a caster alternative, he's a rogue alternative that happens to use magic.

Consider what the warlock offers:
DPS - Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast gives you higher sustained DPS than anything in the game except fighters. And also you can push things away from you or into hazards. Awesome.
Utility - you get either a familiar, which is the best scout money can't buy, or a bunch of rituals, which let you address a variety of situations. On top of that, you get invocations which let you do stuff like change your appearance at will or levitate at will, allowing you to infiltrate various places without the need to be stealthy or acrobatic. You still have to be a good liar.

Once you view the warlock this way, it's a lot clearer and more sensible how it's supposed to fit into a party.
>>
>>50819763
New general.
>>
So how have you guys gone about recruiting local players? My LGS doesn't have a bulletin board or anything.

I guess there is the local University but it should be smack dab in the middle of winter break by now.
>>
>>50819676
That's a useful perspective, since I'm rolling up a Tomelock right now, and thinking about my party role. The utility of rituals solves so many out-of-combat problems, so that's something. Among those is Find Familiar, of course. We have a bunch of gold, but strictly limited buying options, so I might as well record all 32 rituals.

For my spell list, though, I'm having a tougher time. We're starting at level 11 of all places, so I've got some choices to make. Any real standout options? Combinations like Devil's Sight, Repelling Blast, and Hadar's Milky Tentacles seem very entertaining in theory, but it's easy to get completely loaded on concentration-based spells that will conflict in combat. Taking pact of the Archfey.
>>
>>50819286
What actual magic is Gandalf shown to do in the films? Fighting the balrog doesn't count as he's describing the events to the others and could easily be bullshitting.
>>
>>50820190
There was quite the old article from Dragon magazine, I believe it statted Gandalf as only a 5th level wizard based on his described abilities. I think Sauron barely broke level 10, iirc.
>>
File: reverseoceans.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
reverseoceans.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>50810933
>>50810685
So dm from these previous posts. Ran a session in the sword coast. 2 PCs were escorting traveling merchants in the fields of the dead, came across zombies and third PC. They helped him chase down what attacked his caravan and took his family. They beat a fuckton of zombies and got most of the family members out of the crypt that they had all been taken too. They figured out my skull and candle puzzles, and eventually got to a wraith and as a level 1 party managed to actually beat it with the help of an NPC guide. Seemed excellent and everyone enjoyed it, thought I would pop by and thank you all. I just have a few questions. How in the fuck does grappling work? There's like no CMB or CMD, and 2 why does everything have like such low AC compared to pathfinder?
>>
Okay, so our group are about to get in an Army-vs-Army battle, we're trusted by the kingdom and are 15th level characters.

We have a plan, a plan so stupid yet so perfect it can't fail.

Animal shapes, as a Druid spell targets everything within 30ft, assuming a non-combat situation, you can easily fit at ease, three soldiers within each 5ft square, exceptionally more if you use halflings and gnomes. If you build scaffolding to allow full use of space, you can get a grand total of 900ish 5ft square segments in range of the Druid. So we're talking easily at least 2,500 willing creatures effected by it in one casting.

The Druid, now meditating in a secure location with a series of diviners relaying him tactical information required.

The soldiers are polymorphed into an flying snakes and take to the skies 60ft above their foe.

The Druid snaps his fingers, turning every snake into a 7500+Lb whale, which drops on the foes for massive damage.

Taking roughly 10d6 fall damage they survive the fall, dealing significant damage to those below them. If they continue to survive the onslaught of panicked stabs from soldiers, which need to punch another 50ish damage on each whale to kill, they ready action to move.

The druid snaps his fingers, turning every whale into a flying snake, which using their readied action, take to the skies, 60ft upwards.

The druid snaps his fingers, turning every flying snake into a fully healed, 90hp whale.

Repeat ad infinitum, bombarding your foes with a relentless onslaught of crushing blubber. Sure some will get lucky and snag the odd snake trying to take to the sky, sure the survivng soldiers might finish off a whale, but these only revert the soldiers to their normal statistics, and if they survive, while simply transform into a 90HP whale on cue minus the fall, and with 2,500 whales dropping every 12 seconds, it's hard to imagine any kind of army that can win against this single, 8th level spell.
>>
>>50815837
herroooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>50820443
When making an attack, a creature may choose to instead make a grapple or shove attempt. If they can attack multiple times, they can Shove, Attack, or Grapple in any order or combination.

A grappler/shover will roll an Athletics (Str) check, and the target will roll either an Athletics (Str) OR an Acrobatics (Dex) Check to avoid.

If the target wins, he avoids the attempt. If the grappler wins, the target is GRABBED, which is a condition (Think like stunned, or poisoned.)

The grab requires one hand from the target, it's more a "I've got your shirt" kind of grab, rather than a full nelson pin. A GRABBED creature cannot move willingly, this is all they suffer. They can still fight, cast and evade attacks normally, they just can't move.

A GRABBED creature can use an action to roll Athletics or Acrobatics vs the Grabbers Athletics to try to escape the grab, or any spells that stun, disable or forcibly move the grappler will also force them to drop their grapple. A grappler can move while holding someone, does so at half-speed and pulls its GRABBED target along with him. If your athletics is good, a tactic to get out of being grappled is to instead shove your foe, forcing them 5ft back.

If a shove attempt is succesful, the creature is either moved 5ft while remaining within reach of the grappler, or they are knocked prone, Or they are shoved directly 5ft back. A common tactic is to Grab someone, then shove them prone. As they can't move, they can't get up without spending an action to try to fend off the grappler first, and while they are prone they suffer penalties and are at a disadvantage.

Some creatures like those with big claws, jaws, or tentacles simply have "Grapple Riders" which are basically "I hit you with my attack, you are automatically grappled.", but these often have set DC's for their targets to Athletic/Acrobatics out of for ease of use and not needing a huge amount of dice to be rolled.

Hope this was comprehensive and clear.
>>
File: 1289345066886.jpg (12KB, 210x187px) Image search: [Google]
1289345066886.jpg
12KB, 210x187px
>>50820444
Animal shapes specify large creature or lower
Killer Whales, while 3 CR, are Huge.
May I instead suggest a Plesiosaurus?
68 hit points, large, CR 2?
>>
>>50820622
Splendid choice.

Also, thanks 5E, for making a spell that lets you make people into CR4 beasts, with no CR beasts, and only one CR3 beast.

Almost as bad as the Conjure Fae that summons a CR6 Fae, and can be high-casted for CR7+ Fae. The strongest fae in the game at the time was like CR4.
Thread posts: 389
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.