[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOARD GAMES GENERAL /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 32

File: sorry board game.jpg (671KB, 2648x1836px) Image search: [Google]
sorry board game.jpg
671KB, 2648x1836px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
>>50665738

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q
>>
I just put sleeves on my Munchkin cards and now the expansion won't fit in it's box. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do when your game won't fit in it's box with sleeves on the cards?
>>
>>50729985
Is there extra sleeve above the cards? If so you could try and cut that off with scissors
>>
What are some reasons you've heard of why people don't play board games? I'm writing a paper on this and I need some reasons to rebuttal
>>
>>50730153
Yes but that's not the problem. The problem is how much thickness is added. The decks don't fit into the box due to thickness now. I'm also having the same problem with my Mage Knight Cards.
>>
>>50730187
I think most people are only family with the more simple games they played in their childhood such as Sorry or Shoots and Ladders.
>>
>>50730315
I guess you could try to buy a deck box and put them in there
>>
>>50730187
The only reason I've heard is >>50730362. People get poisoned on them as kids, and think they're either completely deterministic bullshit like War, completely random bullshit like Snakes and Ladders, or Monopoly.
>>
Santorini has arrived. Do I unpack it or wrap it up as a gift to myself?

>>50729985
Get more box. Or if it's munchkin, just dump everything into a plastic bag and wedge it somewhere you'll forget about.

>>50730315
>Mage Knight
Get rid of the insert, replace with foamcore if you're into DIY or ziplock if you're not.
>>
>>50730549
I'm thinking about making a small wooden one and then painting it to look like the expansion box. Maybe a specific deck box would be cheaper to buy and paint though. Definitely a good idea thanks. I'll probably have to do the same for the mage knight cards.
>>
Has anyone played the Doom board game yet? I'm really wanting it but is it worth it?
>>
>>50730616
>Foamcore
Great suggestion thanks. I'm either going to do that or put it in some cheap deck boxes that I paint to match the Mage Knight game box depending on which is cheaper. Will also depend on how much bigger the decks end up being after I finish putting the sleeves on them. I'm still only part of the way through those cards. Is it autistic that I'm wearing rubber gloves to keep from getting my finger oils onto the mage knight cards as I insert them into the sleeves so they last longer? I didn't think of doing that until after I sleeves all of the munchkin cards or I would have done that with them as well.
>>
Are there any board games reviewers who aren't absolute shit?
>>
>>50731058
Yes. You.
>>
>>50730187
>But I have video games I could play instead!
>Board games are only for nerdy, socially awkward people.
>There's only like five board games and they're all so simple.
>>
>>50731058
SUSD and ATGYLAB are the only guys I've found to provide critique and analysis.
>>
File: Give it to me now.gif (933KB, 220x250px) Image search: [Google]
Give it to me now.gif
933KB, 220x250px
>>50730616
>Santorini has arrived. Do I unpack it or wrap it up as a gift to myself?

No no! Wrap that bad boy up and send it to me! You know you want that kind of good karma heading into 2017. <huge cheesy grin!>
>>
>>50730187
Board games are boring! (i.e. I don't like thinking! - or - To much down time between player turns - or - little in the way of interesting decision making. At least 2 of those reasons a intelligent complaints.)
When we play we just get mad at each other. (Fookin' Monopoly...)
We we play it takes too long - Analysis Paralysis, lack of rules familiarity, or bad game design.
>>
File: 1479278710881.jpg (31KB, 400x433px) Image search: [Google]
1479278710881.jpg
31KB, 400x433px
>>50731305
SUSD generally talks more about how the game feels to play, and how various mechanics work towards that.
For instance, they don't talk about the traitor imbalances of Dead of Winter, but rather how the survival die gives the game a sense of dread when performing most actions, or how the crossroads deck gives every action a bit more weight.
They certainly capture what it's like to play the game a few times, but never really delve into whether the game has any value beyond its' initial concepts and flavor. I haven't really watched a lot of their catalog outside of what directly interested me, but I've only ever seen them bash on a few games: 522 or whatever, and CAH, which was just kind of pathetic to read.
>>
File: backgammonboard.jpg (147KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
backgammonboard.jpg
147KB, 800x600px
Is backgammon fun?
>>
>>50731652
>, but never really delve into whether the game has any value beyond its' initial concepts and flavor.
That's because they don't tend to play games "in depth," but I appreciate how the relate the game to the experience.
>>
>>50730616
Santorini is one KS I'm really sorry I missed. Looking forward to snagging it once it hits retail.

And speaking of which - it's time once again for another enthralling episode of "Damnit STEEV!" where once again STEEV is shamelessly blamed for our fiscal irresponsibility:

Our story begins as it usually does... I wanted to pick up a few gaming items (the last few 'Mutant Year Zero' RPG items I don't have yet). But of course that left me well short of the $100 (and totally obligatory) 'Free Shipping' mark. So, I wondered what else could I add to inch past the ole' free ship mark' at which point both Mafia de Cuba and Mare Nostrum jumped into my shopping cart. I muttered a heart felt "Damnit STEEV!" And then I hit 'Process Order'.

The End!
>>
>>50731756
>they don't tend to play games "in depth,"
what do you mean by in depth?
>>
File: Dr. Steel Clap.gif (194KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Steel Clap.gif
194KB, 320x240px
>>50731752
> Is thing subjective thing? (While supplying zero context for subjective thing.)

Bravo! Well done.
>>
opinions on

-army of frogs
-hives
-logan

anf maybe other types like it
>>
>>50731925
They'll usually play a game twice before a review. But plenty of players who have played a game 20 or 30 times will have a very different opinion on a game.
>>
>>50731382
If you show up tonight and beat me at santorini, netrunner, and TI3, you can have it.

>>50731915
I love you too, anon.
Hope they're good picks, both have been crowd favorites at my place this year.
>>
>>50731982
Sorry, just curious if it was worth looking into. I'll fuck off now.
>>
>>50732343
How the hell is anyone here even remotely going to be able to answer the question the way you've asked it? It would be like me walking up to a total stranger, pointing at a random food and asking "Hey, will that taste good to me?" There's no way they could offer a useful answer since they don't even know what kinds of food I typically find appealing.
>>
>>50731752
>>50732343
It's a decent time passer, I don't love it but I don't hate it either
>>
>>50730686
Bump
>>
Well my fantasy flight card sleeves seems to pretty much double the size of my deck. There doesn't seem to be much of a chance of me still fitting the cards for a board game in the box with the fantasy flight sleeves. What brand of sleeves do you use for your board game cards?
>>
>>50733629
FFG.
>>
>>50734055
thicc
>>
File: c1c[1].jpg (399KB, 980x3400px) Image search: [Google]
c1c[1].jpg
399KB, 980x3400px
>>50734222
>>
Is cards against humanity a shitty game or do I just hate having fun?
>>
https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-kingdom-death-monster/

they did it, after all
>>
>>50735587
A review?
>>
>>50730187
Mostly just the "They're boring!" argument. I don't push terribly hard if someone doesn't want to but I usually have no trouble getting them to play a modern boardgame by telling them that board games have gotten a lot better since Monopoly.

Of course part of that is just that there is a natural shift of the public into more informed people. I mentioned I just had a boardgame night to a random coworker and he didn't say "Oh, like Monopoly?" he said "Oh, like Settlers of Catan?"
>>
File: IMG_0286.png (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0286.png
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>50735587
The guy in the middle is going Super Saiyen
>>
>tfw no money
I just want to get Lisboa in my arms. I'm a sucker for Lacerda's games.
>>
Anyone here have power grid? How is it and should you get the old version or the new deluxe version? I heard the new deluxe version needs extra pieces to be compatabile with the expansions.
>>
>>50736957
Such a sexy game. I'd back that shit if I weren't already balls deep into KDM
>>
>>50737195
>>50736957
It was sexy as all hell but I hate every Lacerda game I've ever played.
Went in for the best Feudum without the real glass rosary beads, and in for $927 on KD:M.
>>
>>50731752
I personally enjoy it a lot. More than Chess by a long shot. It feels a little more balanced, especially against people who don't know how to play. A better player should always win, but it's not as one sided as chess can be when you have that experience gap. The dice make it seem random even though there's a lot more strategy that goes into it.
Overall, it's a fun and simple, fast paced game that can be casually done over drinks or conversation.
>>
I summon STEEV
Sell me on Mare Nostrum before the CSI sale ends.
>>
>>50735447
It takes a group with a common thread in their sense of humor and enough sense and willingness to curate the card pool. When played like this, it's a good game, but if you're just playing with randos like classmates or coworkers at some social function, it's pretty shit right out the box.
>>
>>50735447
Shit all around. The game tells you a joke, asks for a punchline, but forces you to pick the punchline from a few random answers. Occasionally there's a creative answer but 95% of the time it's just nonsensical obscenities.

At least in Apples to Apples it takes some creativity to make a funny answer (but most still aren't funny), or Say Anything, where you can just write whatever you want, which allows plenty of room for creative answers.
>>
Guy who asked about Kemet VS Cyclades, I can get Kemet shipped to Israel for 65$ with shipping.

Is it expensive?
>>
>>50735447
Try Joking Hazard instead. Trust me, the visual aspect of the game makes it more humorous 99% of the time than whatever awful joke your friends are trying to get across in CaH.
>>
>>50735447
Show us where the bad game hurt you, anon.
>>
>>50738291
Subtle but really powerful asymmetry, really interesting trade mechanics that are going to stretch your ability to evaluate relative worth to different players, simple dice combat that's actually pretty predictable due to skewed dice ranges, and as much player agency as kemet with more room for politics and bargaining. It's not as aggressive as a lot of stuff I like, but it's really tight, really clever, and much faster than it looks.
>>
>>50739121

This guy gets it.

On that note, had a chance to play red flags not too long ago. Pretty bad, moves sooooo slow, but at lest it's not super fight.
>>
Ive wanted to grab dead of winter but realized there is a standalone expansion. Is there much of a difference between the two?
>>
>>50740503
I've heard if you don't have either, the second box (long night or w/e) is a better buy, adds a few interesting mechanics and fixes a couple of the flaws in Crossroads.
>>
>>50740544
Ok. Ive played the first one with some friends at our lgs abd was thinking of picking it up for myself
>>
>>50740097
To follow up on that - have you tried the expansion? That was something that CSI didn't have but I wasn't sure if was really a 'must have' or not with Mare Nostrum.
>>
>>50729985
learn from your mistakes and throw away that shit game
>>
File: voyages of marco polo.png (863KB, 557x788px) Image search: [Google]
voyages of marco polo.png
863KB, 557x788px
Why is this game so fucking good? Been playing it a couple times recently and I totally fell in love. What a smooth, well designed game. The mechanics, the variety, the art, the pacing, it's all just wonderful.
>>
>>50743711
Haven't played that one myself, but I do find that Z-man Games made a lot of games I enjoy. That said, only time will tell now that they're part of the Asmodee Octopi that seemingly has its tentacles into all things gaming.
>>
>>50743847
They didn't make it. It's from Germany and Z-man just published it in the US in English.
>>
>>50743893
I should have worded that better. I seem to enjoy a number of games that Z-man Games have published.
>>
>>50743944
Either way you should really try it if you get the chance.
>>
>>50743977
Kek! I've got 25+ games on my 'official' wish list already.
>>
Sell me on caylus
>>
DEXTERITY GAMES

Alright faggots, favorite dexterity game of all time and why GO!

LIGHTNING MODE ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
favorite three dexterity games and why if you feel like talking.
>>
>>50745820
No
>>
>>50741229
I don't think it's a must have at all unless you want to expand the player count up to six or down to 2.
>>
Has anyone played pic related?

How hard is it to teach people?
>>
>>50746921
Check out the videos on the KS page - down to the last 25 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/
>>
>>50735904
yeah
>>
File: IMG_0426.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0426.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50745833
Crokinole and Rhino Hero are the only good dex games imo
>>
>>50746921
A reviewer I respect said that this game is four people playing completely different games which tangentially overlap.
>>
>>50748047
There's one where you're trying to place blocks inside a vertical ring - I can't recall the name - that looked interesting.
>>
>>50745833
Recent ones I've heard about are Go Cuckoo, Junk Art, and Flick 'em Up.
>>
>>50748418
Hamsterrolle.
>>
>>50748471
>>50748418
>>50748047
Never played it because last I checked I'd have to shell out $90 to get it imported from Germany.
>>
File: No Ragrets.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
No Ragrets.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50745833
I don't like shilling for Kickstarters because of all those fucking Mythic Battles fucks (or those one or two fucks, more likely), but
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/crokinole-2016-hardwood-edition-2-4-player-dexteri
>>
>>50746143
Thank you. Might be worth it for me, I tend to have 6 or 7 players when we get together for board gaming or RPG night.
>>
>>50748471
Thank you! Couldn't remember the name at all.

>>50748485
But who could pass up German engineering? ;)
>>
>>50748485
DIY your copy, dude. Slice some wide PVC pipe, measure and glue plastic or wooden tabs, and buy a didactic wooden shapes pack.
>>
>>50740560
I've heard that if you have the first one then getting the second is justified since it adds more. But that doesn't hold true the other way around.
>>
>>50747679
Is it a bad thing they reviewed that game?
>>
What are your favourite small box games?
>>
>>50751428
They had said they would never review it and then pulled a 180.
>>
If I got race for the galaxy, which expansions are the go to ones? The first set of three? Or the 4th or the 5th (which can't be combined right?)
>>
>>50751469
Define small box
>>
>>50751469
Coup is fun, and I like it's versatility more than resitance.
>>
Scythe expansion just arrived for my roommate yesterday, got to partake in a 7 player game today. I do admit it isn't the best at 7, but is still playable and fun. Got to play as Japan, their trap function is super fun. Won with the achievo on the victory page for winning with no mechs built. Just flooded the board with workers and lined my territory with traps/held the factory with just my hero. Ended just short of tier 3 popularity with only 1 star but held so much ground with workers and traps and well placed buildings that it beat everyone else out anyways.
>>
>>50751936
A box that is not large
>>
>>50751469
Onitama is my favorite "Bring it with me, play against anyone" game, but it's a little bigger than small. It's a Jenga sized box. Bang the Dice Game is fun and small but despite it's portability, it's hard to just pull out because you need a room with enough players to make it work.
>>
>>50752083
then see
>>50748047
>>
>>50749032
so, reconsidering this again

can that one anon tell me why this company is shit ?
>>
>>50745833
Hamsterrolle
>>
>>50753420
All kinds of garbage shadiness
Go check BGG threads for Mayday crokinole.
>>
>>50753623
Thanks senpai, I posted that KS and was astonished no one had pointed out such a low-priced Crokinole board, guess this is why.
>>
Is boss dungeon good or is it just a meme?
>>
>>50754028
It's a meme
>>
>>50754041
I figured. What about Blood Rage? That one looks good.
>>
>>50754057
its rebranded heroscape
>>
>>50754154
I've never played heroscape. Is Blood Rage good or not?
>>
File: gw01_main.png (186KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gw01_main.png
186KB, 300x300px
Tips on stopping Khorne from a runaway victory?
>>
>>50754154
No it's not. Doesn't even use a hex map.
>>
>>50731192
SUSD reference. My man.
>>
>>50751482
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks
>>
>>50754414
Git gud
>First, the newbs think khorne is OP
>Then, they will think Nurgle is OP
>Finally, the real game will emerge for them, and it be glorious
>>
Has anyone played Guild Ball? Is it worth the money for the starter set?
>>
File: Dystopian Wars.jpg (273KB, 1000x741px) Image search: [Google]
Dystopian Wars.jpg
273KB, 1000x741px
Is this good?
>>
>>50751469
Does Bios: Genesis count? It's got more complexity per square inch of box space than any game I own.
>>
>>50755039
I have no idea but that is some sick terrain.
>>
>tfw played ti3 7 times this year after 3 years of unable to get the game out

2016 is the best year.
>>
>>50753734
>>50753623

Alright I'm a bit confused here.
They're seemingly fully transparent in this campaign and have even acknowledged the problems from the past.

They even go on record stating multiple times that "almost all" crokinole board are not made from solid wood except super giga nigger primo boards, and that indeed nearly all boards are made with either an MDF or plywood base.

They even had a chart calling out popular crokinole makers saying what theirs comes with and is made from vs what the Mayday 2017 one comes with and is made from.

Also, here's the only bgg link where the kickstarter is being discussed past a few posts:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1687101/mayday-2017-mahogany-board-now-live-kickstarter-99

Since I'm sounding like a shill, I'm mainly posting all this because I'm new to crokinole and with the amount of transparent data coming from mayday to the point of even acknowledging their past problems, I'm curious why so many people here don't like them.

In any case, I'll be spending roughly $150 for a board, case, clock, and shipping so it's not like a huge investment just in case it turns out to be garbage.
>>
File: pic1521633.jpg (4MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
pic1521633.jpg
4MB, 3000x3000px
I just bought the gf cosmic encounter. She's in to games but not as hardcore as my nerd friends. Is it good or did I fuck up?
>>
Any suggestions for hex tile war games?
>>
>>50754828
I'm just asking for tips, since we've only played it once and Khorne was unstoppable.
>>
>>50755413
IMO it's way too random and shallow, but it's a good intro for normies.

>>50755366
>playing TI3 7 times

sounds more like 2016 claiming another victim to me.
>>
>>50755478
. . . Battletech?
>>
>>50755015
It's a great game as long as you aren't going into it expecting an updated version of blood bowl.
>>
>>50755613
I suggested it as a joke 3 times, but everyone voted on it.
>>
>>50755624
Boardgame war games not Tabletop wargaming type wargames.
>>
>>50755413
>bought cosmic encounter
Yeah you kinda fucked up.
>>
>>50755602
That's a pretty normal first time experience. Just avoid getting in fights so much or he WILL be unstoppable.
>>
>>50755787
The thing is, it seems to be impossible to avoid getting in fights. Either you spread out and he puts a bloodletter in everywhere, or you bunch up and a bloodthirster and maybe a bloodletter for good measure show up.
>>
Anybody have print and play PDFs for catan? Preferably with expansions?
>>
>>50755831
It does take a coordinated effort to stop Khorne, but he is not the unstoppable machine you think he is, that is just your group learning how to play the game.

Use spells to cancel/redirect/mitigate combat, uprade cultist/daemon defense, make him waste his power points chasing you, retreat out of contested zones (he probably won't win through points anyway), stall your turns so you have room to adjust after Khorne has spent all his PP and most important of all: don't let him get extra dial spins. Someone each turn has to tie Khorne on dial spin tokens.
>>
File: ogremg11stset.jpg (101KB, 441x500px) Image search: [Google]
ogremg11stset.jpg
101KB, 441x500px
>>50755478
If you're looking to try a Hex & Chit style war game without going nuts before you're sure you like them - check out OGRE by Steve Jackson Games. If you're lucky, you can find a store that still has the $3 micro game version. It's a solid hex and chit war game that will introduce you to common concepts and allow for fun games without a wallet hurting initial investment. After that, you can go for the more expensive 'large print' format version they're releasing in the near future along with a line of plastic minis to go with it.
>>
>>50755413
Nah, I'd say you did alright.
>>
>>50755413
It's the best multiplayer board game ever made.
>>
>>50731752
Better than Chess, Checkers and Go too. It's just a fun game where you have tactical play and push your luck. If you like Blood Bowl, Backgammon is the closest 'standard' game to that.
>>
>>50757073
Thanks anon. What does chit mean? I see that a new edition of ogre was coming out next month. I'll probably grab that.
>>
>>50751469
Condotierre, Colossal Arena.
>>
File: counters 01.jpg (537KB, 1600x1377px) Image search: [Google]
counters 01.jpg
537KB, 1600x1377px
>>50758028
The counters used in many war games / board games are commonly known as 'Chits' too. Pic related - classic OGRE chits showing Defense value, movement value, combat strength, and range.
>>
>>50758292
Show some ASL shit!
>>
>>50758292
Oh, thanks anon. Any other recommendations for good hex & chit games if I like ogre?
>>
>>50755039
It's more of a Wargame but it is fun. There is a Kickstarter for it up right now.
>>
>>50736992
I love power grid. I only have the old version so I'm not sure what's new in deluxe.
>>
>>50758449
They replaced garbage with another type of power. Got rid of the germany map and replaced it with some other one. And apparently they don't include enough of some of the markers or something I can't recall for the new deluxe version to be compatible with the expansion packs unless you go onto boardgamegeek and buy more of them.
>>
I talked my parents into trying board games this holiday season. They got code names which I own back at my apartment, and I bought them betrayal at house at house on the hill. hopefully they like them.
>>
File: ASL StarterKit_1.jpg (67KB, 550x445px) Image search: [Google]
ASL StarterKit_1.jpg
67KB, 550x445px
>>50758337
The other Anon simply expressed interest in *trying* some war games, not in mortgaging his eternal soul to MMP in a life long commitment...

>>50758349
When it comes to war games - it's all about picking your level of complexity and genre. You've got historical, modern, fantasy, and Sci-fi based war games galore. And a full range of rules levels from micro games (like the original 'Pocket' edition of OGRE, etc) to huge games like ASL or the legendary 'Campaign for North Africa' (which is a great game if you're going to prison for say - 20 to life...) Also consider whether you want a small 'skirmish' level game (man to man / unit to unit) or a 'theater' level game where each counter represents an entire army group or brigade.

If you want a light to medium war game to look at - check out 'Heroes of Normandie'. It's actually a lot of fun, the rules slowly ramp up the complexity as you play through more scenarios, and it has very nice artwork on the maps and counters which means no need to buy and paint minis.
>>
>>50758648
As a followup - other games that are well liked include:

GMT's 'COIN' (Counter Insurgency) series, as well as Command & Colors, and Quarter Master General.
>>
>>50759050
How does combat commander compare to ASL?
>>
>>50739529
In Poland it goes for about $50, $70 with Ta-Seti included.
>>50748047
I liked Flick'em Up. I need to play it when seriously drunk.

Also Polarity looks amazing.
>>50754414
Gang up on Khorn. Teleport his dudes away from the map, use Temporal Stais, increase the defense of your figures and then summon warriors, try to go into regions that have heroes in them.

Like >>50756614 said Khorn shouldn't dial at all in 1st round and shouldn't double dial after that.
>>50754828
The emerging game is "pls don't hit me" like most 3+ player games. The person who is the most annoying in begging to not be attacked or pointing a finger to another guy "He's winning" or "It's more optimal to fuck X over but do what you want" wins.
>>
>>50758556
I've got my brothers Game of Thrones: Hand of The King - they love the show, and it's simple enough that they probably won't get bored with it.
>>
>>50758648
>the legendary 'Campaign for North Africa' (which is a great game if you're going to prison for say - 20 to life...)

Why am I only learning about this now?
>>
File: Quick game of Fire in the East.jpg (221KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Quick game of Fire in the East.jpg
221KB, 1024x768px
>>50760632
Because you actually have a life, friends, a job, and aren't allergic to 'fresh air' or 'exercise'?
>>
File: IMG_3690.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3690.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
I just sleeved all my dungeon quest cards.

Feels good man.
>>
>>50761064
I felt that when i finished sleeving Millennium Blades
>>
>>50759170
I have not played Combat Commander, but I looked at it and stuck with ASL. I'm an ASL "starter kit" player and I find the ASL rules/system to be extremely elegant. It seems odd at first, but fuck it's really good. However, the CHITS are very small, and when I play Heroes of Normandie with those big beautiful chits, it's sad to go back to the little ASL ones. However, I feel like the ASL rules are a bit more fun than Normandie. Again, I am a lowly 'starter kit' ASL player.
>>
>>50754041
Why is it a meme? It doesn't look like a bad game to me
>>
>>50761558
Predictable tedium.
Game plays you.
>>
>>50759213
>The emerging game is "pls don't hit me" like most 3+ player games.
Your group is trash.
>>
>>50761064
>>50761096
What sleeves did you use?
>>
>>50760632
Where can you even get it? Is it out of print?
>>
>>50762426
FFG, CSI had a good deal on them so I got a few cases.
>>
>>50761153
What made you decide to stick with asl over combat commander?
>>
>>50757944
Shut your whore mouth
>>
File: 5465466.jpg (378KB, 968x900px) Image search: [Google]
5465466.jpg
378KB, 968x900px
Which 2 or 3 from this list should I get?
>>
>>50762910
Dominant Species and Santorini

Fuck I want Santorini so bad
>>
>>50762910
Any of them but Terraforming Mars.
>A perfectly inoffensive tableau builder. You get cards and use those cards to build yourself an engine and try to get points come out the other end. The key intial input in that chain, cards, enter the game at a fixed rate, which struck me as unsatisfying. Plus, there’s next to no meaningful interaction with other players, aside from the rare (arbitrary) resource-stealing effect or the occasional “hey, I got there first.” Drafting would seem to add little to that, as players’ tableaus get so packed that it’s difficult to quickly ascertain what they’re looking for. The design is solid, but honestly I don’t have much enthusiasm for multiplayer solitaire engines anymore, not when there are plenty of euro tableau-builders with more substantive player interaction (off the top of my head, I’d say Ginkgopolis and Ora et Labora; Race for the Galaxy has about the same level of interaction, but is just plain better and less than half the playtime). The theme, though, is really cool, and the hard-science trappings were nice for a change; it had vague Eklund overtones. I suppose I’d play again, depending on what else was on offer.
>>
>>50762456
THICC!
>>
>>50755413
Love it.
Sometimes it feels a little too much like a random, one-sided fuckfest, though.
>>
>>50762901
Rude.
I'm going to put friendly in the title of the thread next time you little shit.
>>
>>50762456
Is that fantasy flight card sleeves?
>>
>>50763464
If you want people to go along with your little hugbox when you spout objectively wrong statements, head on over to BGG or RPG.net
>>
>>50763486
I wasn't the guy who made that statement you whiny bitch.
>>
Does Pocket Ogre have the same scenarios as the full Ogre or different ones?
>>
>>50763486
>objectively
But anon, your opinions are not facts.
>>
>>50763565
Yes they are, fite me faget
>>
>>50763585
No, just kys.
>>
>>50763585
/v/ misses you anon, go home.
>>
>>50762932
Got in a bunch of plays with Santorini this weekend. So good. Some of the god powers feel incredibly strong or underpowered, but much of that is probably just inexperience.
>>
>>50763835
I am 100% certain that they did not playtest Pan.
>>
>>50763902
>>50763835
What are your favorite powers so far? Mine are Athena, Atlas and Graeae.
>>
>>50764016
I've never played it, but I watched a couple friends and Pan was wiping everyone. They thought he was bullshit too, they traded Pan to the other player every game, turns out he's just bullshit.
My favorite that I saw would have to be Chaos.
Any KS exclusives? That's a make-or-break for me, exclusives are imo unethical.
>>
>>50764092
No. While the retail version will only include 30 of the powers, you can buy the rest as an expansion that will be released at the same time if I'm not mistaken.
>>
Pretty new to boardgaming, between me and the rest of my group we have
Chaos in the old world
Roll for the Galaxy
Ticket to Ride
Condottiere
Saboteur
Any recommendations for games to branch out into?
>>
>>50731058

Rahdo a best
>>
>>50764194
I hate how he always bitches about games that have fighting/killing and how his retarded wife can't play those game. One time he said she can't even play chess because you kill the opposing pieces. Or "that game is just too mean for us."
>>
>>50762910
I've only played Roll, Climate, Terra Mystical and Terraforming Mars. Of those 4 I think I liked Roll the best and it's the easiest to get to the table.
>>
>>50764185
Three more copies of CitOW.
>>
>>50764236
>roll better than TM
I'd let it go if you said more fun, but TM is a work of art.
>>
>>50764265
I already bought a brand new in shrink copy of the Horned Rat expansion from some dude in Chile, does that count?
>>
>>50764194
Way too hyper, rambles too much, and often makes no sense. I can't listen to him blabber for more than a couple of minutes, which is a shame because his taste usually matches mine.
>>
>>50764287
Buy three more of those too.
>>
>>50764227
Addendum: For everything other than competitive games, Rahdo a best

>>50764302
What? He explains game mechanics as he plays it. I don't understand what you mean by rambling.
>>
>>50763902
I'm more convinced they didn't playtest morpheus. It's a near-crippling disadvantage unless I'm even more sleep-deprived than I thought I was this weekend.

>>50764016
Hecate is super fun, had a round of them vs Graeae(me) and that was tense as hell. Harpies are ridiculous also. Atlas and athena are really fun cockblockers.
>>
>>50764863
Morpheus looks like an extremely aggressive power, probably supposed to trap opponents.
>>
>>50764863
>Hecate
>look on KS
How the fuck do you play this.
>>
>>50764227
>>50764700
Then what about for competitive games?
>>
>>50764700
"now what am I gona doooooo... OH! OH! I know! Im gonna do thisandthisandthis and move all these pieces around the board while talking real fast. But nononowait. If I do that then the the other player, who is my wife but also me, is gonna get suchandsuch, which I don't want him (me) to get because reasons, so I'm gonna take back all the moves I did just to confuse you and do thisandthisandthat while never clarifying the rule because that will leave me in a better position which is barely understandable because of obscure rule number 375 and then I'm gonna doooooo... Nothing. Because I'm gonna take my other turn starting with why that thing I did is gonna bug me all this turn because I wanted to screw myself over to partially illustrate another very cool and thematic rule and/or mechanic that I can describe as we go and totally lost my train of thought here and I don't know what I was saying but I will hum and grumble while I consider the next move that my wife is gonna do and will you look at these GORGEOUS components? I love not having to fight my wife, but I will now screw my own nex turn doing thisandthisandthis and feign that I didn't see a really blatant tactical mistake that I can use to illustrate another rule next turn"

Holy fuck, I just can't.
>>
>>50764961
Did you notice the clause that any players can swap out your blocks whenever the hell they like? So not only is what you pick irrelevant, but a sufficiently stubborn player means you never get to use the block you want. Just screams sloppy rules writing to me.

>>50764961
You get a mini board and a play screen. It's actually not quite as mind bending as it looks, I had the other guy figured out for most of the game, and used the Graeae to lock one of his in a corner for half the game. Made for a really good puzzle trying to 1v1 the remaining guy.
>>
>>50765424
>Did you notice the clause that any players can swap out your blocks whenever the hell they like? So not only is what you pick irrelevant, but a sufficiently stubborn player means you never get to use the block you want. Just screams sloppy rules writing to me.
I didn't get that from his KS discription.
>>
File: IMG_20161218_205658.jpg (5MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_205658.jpg
5MB, 3036x4048px
>>50765513
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for coop games?
>>
>>50765596
I hear sex is pretty good.
>>
File: he got nerfed so fucking hard.png (193KB, 220x439px) Image search: [Google]
he got nerfed so fucking hard.png
193KB, 220x439px
>>50765555
>>
>>50765620
Yeah, with that you at least know what the damn intent is.
>>
>>50765603
>>>/b/
>>
>>50765603
>coop
>not competitive
fucking casual
>>
>>50764194
Garbage tier.
I won't waste my time listening to his incoherent runthroughs. Also, he's gone full shill for all KS projects.
>>
>>50765301
This guy gets it.

Rahdo is trash. Not entertaining. Not informative. Not interesting. Not relevant.

And he's a huge pussy for not playing competitive games.
>>
>>50765596
Castle Panic isn't too bad but there's usually only one or two tense moments before things get easy again
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482127571555.jpg (65KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482127571555.jpg
65KB, 500x667px
Where I'm from we still argue over Axis & Allies so I just want to thank all of y'all for being such a great source of information and amusement over the years. I've mostly lurked 'cause I'm like, older but I just wanted to post today to say thanks.
>>
>>50765301
You sound like you're about reddit-tier intelligence. You should head over there post-haste.
>>
File: u.jpg (30KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
30KB, 640x454px
>>50767454
>>
>>50751482
>>50751428

They kind of stray from doing reviews for Kickstarter games in general since the ones most interested have already bought it. I guess since Kingdom Heart: Monster is such a big phenomenon they had to do something on it.

It looks pretty impressive, albeit the settlement stuff looks a lot more interesting than the combat. One of the major downsides is that it seems like a lot of stuff, both for individual survivors and the settlement at large, can be undone with the wrong die-roll or card flip.
>>
I'm awful at chess. What is the best way to git gud for a beginner? Just doing puzzles/studying openings daily?
>>
File: terra mystica big box.jpg (203KB, 498x700px) Image search: [Google]
terra mystica big box.jpg
203KB, 498x700px
Is this worth getting for $90? Is it unbalanced? I read some comments saying it has balancing problems.
Is the gameplay good?
>>
>>50761861
No that's an issue with any multiplayer player game with lots of interactions.

Search your feelings you know it to be true.
>>
How much are you willing to play for a second hand game?

I know someone who played a game once, disliked it, and is selling it for ~50$, we are talking about a 65$ game.
>>
>>50768162

One of the best games out there and I play every chance I get.

The expansion adds a white colour that is completely broken since the Snow Queens are simply better Engineers and the Yeti are absolutely hilariously broken once you know the rules.

Game is great with tonnes of replay-ability and gets better with more players.
>>
>>50768658
It really depends. Usually I only go for a solid deal, I just bought two games at about half price, unless they're OOP and I really want them. Even then, I never pay more than full price.
>>
>>50768679
I haven't played with the expansion yet but yeah the Yettie faction looked broken even looking at the rules. Leaching 4 instead of 3, infinitely many magic actions. Shit.

I'm not as clear on Ice Maidens being OP - the starting favor tile seems to counteract the necessity of terraforming your own home terrain

I mostly bought the expansion for the variable turn order addon and the new maps. I probably won't play the expansion races soon.
>>
>>50764287
>>50764332
>>50764265

why ?
>>
>>50769181
GW canceled FFG's license when it was acquired by Asmodee, if you can find a copy of either for less than $100 you jump on that shit.
>>
>>50769200
mm i bought the first version when it came out years ago. i dont have the horned rat though. is it good ?
>>
>>50769200
also why does this only apply to those 2 games?
>>
>>50768162
wasnt that the korean version? i cant find a normal big box anywhere.
>>
>>50769257
Fury of Dracula, Forbidden Stars, and Death Angel will also experience this, they're just not sought after as CitOW is.
>>
>>50769322
was it really that good?

i played it a dozen times and it was okay fun.
>>
>>50769337
It is. One of those rare cases where a really popular license gets a really good game instead of mediocre dreck.
>>
>>50769322
Not sure if you guys saw it, but Amazon was selling Forbidden Stars for $50 the other night. Prime eligible. My copy should be arriving today
>>
>>50762910
Mare Nostrum, Falling Sky, and Evolution
>>
>>50769322
Is fury of dracula good?
>>
>>50770192
Yeah, pretty good, tense, hidden movement manhunt, even though combat is card-driven rock, paper, scissors.
>>
>>50769741
>a licensed warhammer game that is actually good gets made
>GW cancels the license
No surprise there.
>>
What the hell is with the new versions of risk having only 5 players and being objective based? Do they make a classic version?
>>
>>50770483
Hey, I'm all for cutting the time spent on a mediocre game to a minimum. Adding objectives and reducing players means the 4 guys that got shafted during the random setup phase will no longer have to wait out 4 hour wars of attrition between 2 powerhouses.
>>
>>50770483
Why don't you just ignore the objectives then?
>>
>>50770483
They wanted to attempt to fix a shitty game before more people like you end up turning people off of boardgames. It's still not good, but it's a hell of a lot better than old risk.
>>
>>50770947
Because of the fewer players.

>>50770963
Aw is poor baby going to cry that someone likes a game that he doesn't.
>>
>>50769322
This got probably asked a lot recently, but:
Will I regret not picking up Space Hulk Death Angel before it goes oop? Just from a gameplay perspective, I found the reviews to be ok, but not a must buy.
Also, is there a list of all of its expansions?
>>
>>50770995
Don't let us stop you from playing with shit. But shit is shit
>>
>>50770995
People can like whatever they want. It becomes a problem when those same people start to believe that, mechanically, those are the best that the medium of board games has to offer and make them the ambassadors to non-gamers. See Monopoly and CAH.
>>
>>50771116
Death Angel's not bad. It can be brutally tough and I enjoyed it best playing solo. Not super amazing, but not terrible either.
>>
>>50771128
When did I ever say it was the best of the board games? I don't even own it I just wanted to know why it was changed.
>>
>>50771124
>but shit is shit
So are obnoxious elitists.

>>50771128
Are you sure that's what is scaring people off from the more advanced board games?
>>
>>50769745
and is that game good?

i can buy one for 80 euro
>>
>>50771429
Perhaps not as much now, but 6-7 years ago, absolutely.
>>
>>50771524
Do you normally have trouble understanding what people are saying?

>>50771522
It's well rated. There are a number of reviews here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175155/forbidden-stars
>>
File: raremads.jpg (117KB, 527x565px) Image search: [Google]
raremads.jpg
117KB, 527x565px
Betrayal at the house on the hill. Good? Fun? Does it get stale fast?
>>
why didnt i buy horned rat 4 years ago : <

i never got it because i didnt need the 5th player and i didnt play it very often.

now my ocd will act up and want it because its oop. just to complete the set.

also i only played death angel once and i even started looking at the expansions now. but they are already 10 times the old price so nvm.
>>
>>50771116
Its selling for like 15$ at bookdepository.
>>
>>50771604
>Good
Absolutely not.
>Fun
With the right people.
>Does it get stale fast
Subjective. Many scenarios but the mostly play out similarly.

It's a terrible game, player agency is essentially null and void, there are no significant decisions to be made. But if all you want is a "game" as an activity to facilitate socializing, it may be sufficient.
>>
>>50771661
yes. only the expansions are expensive as fuck
>>
My girlfriend bought me "Vikings: Warriors of the North" for Christmas. Doesn't look like anything up my alley, but I like that she wants to support my hobby.

Anybody tried it? What games did you get for Christmas?
>>
>>50771604
I bet Mads would run a helluva game, either way...
>>
>>50771704
It's not Christmas yet.
>>
>>50771984
I dun goof'd. Let me rephrase that then - what game did you buy for yourself for Christmas?
>>
>>50772032
Mageknight, Blood Rage, and Bang!: the Dice Game.
>>
>>50771693
So it's a party game essentially?

>>50771726
Tfw no hannibal boardgame
>>
>>50772086
An atypically long and atypically complicated party game masquerading as something heavier - with the caveat that party games are not universally devoid of gameplay merit. A lot of them are actually quite good. Just not that one.

I don't begrudge people who enjoy it, but I don't think it's good for much.
>>
>>50729972
Can anyone recommend some good games for someone who has only really played entry-level stuff like Monopoly, Sorry, Risk, etc.? I love board games, but I haven't explored much beyond the common stuff.

I'm open to pretty much anything, though I'm not super keen on card games.
>>
>>50772438

catan ??
>>
>>50772438
Mage Knight.

>>50772158
Got any good recommendations for coop games?
>>
>>50772450
I've played Catan. Its nice because it has some depth, but is also something you can get people at a party to play. Like Monopoly (when played properly) in that way I guess.
>>
>>50772486
Don't ask me, I hate co-op. But:
Mage Knight
Ghost Stories
Robinson Crusoe or First Martians
>>
>>50772490
just get the knights expansion for double depth
>>
>>50772438
Ideal playercount?
Lots of interaction and conflict, or something more pacifist friendly?
>>
>>50769322
is fury of dracula worth 35 euro?
>>
>>50772438
Yedo
Luna
>>
>>50771522
in seal for 80 euro btw.
>>
>>50772611
Maybe 4-5 players. I play with family and friends a lot.
Anything goes really (my friends are good-natured and don't get pissy when competing)
>>
>>50772658
Luna looks great.
I'd enjoy Yedo, but I think my usual co-players would whine that its too complicated.
>>
>>50772744
If they think Yedo is too complicated then they should probably just give up on board games.
>>
>>50772781
thanks so much for your opinion
>>
>>50772717
carcassonne bigbox

or go with the new versions
>>
>>50772829
This looks awesome. I had to build a board game for a class project once that basically ended up being a crappier version of what this looks like so I'm super intrigued.
Seems like a lot of good games are historical-themed.
>>
>>50772872
i went with the old versions because i like the art.

if you dont care you can just go with the new version and buy stuff when it gets released.

this is needed to play
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/2993/carcassonne-expansion-1-inns-cathedrals
(not really but its a fucking great addition to the base game, almost seems like it should have been there from the start, thats why i dont really see it as an expansion per se)

traders and builders is also good. plus you should get the phantom's(3 buck expansion)

if you decide to go with the old version you should get this big box

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/164127/carcassonne-big-box-5

though no new stuff will be made for it again and some expansions are getting expensive.

the new version has just kinda started so only has 3 expansions.

ps this one is very fun to
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66646/carcassonne-bridges-castles-and-bazaars
just because of the bridges
>>
>>50769322
HOLY SHIT I AM GLAD I DIDNT BUY 3 CORE SETS OF CONQUEST.

almost did it. but game is pretty dead now
>>
>>50769322
also i just read the news. why did they have to can talisman, thats not gw related right ?
>>
>>50773430
Yes it is.
>>
>>50773430
GW sucks dick.
>>
i am getting dracula from this
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/gezelschapsspellen-bordspellen/m1114542105-spellenpakket-oa-fury-of-dracula-twin-tin-bots-guildhall.html?c=aba4801fe1dcfdf8e084fd4b2e0a17e&previousPage=mijnberichten

are any of the other games worth it? maybe guildhall?
>>
>>50773114
I've just ordered it. I think its going to be the highlight of our next night in! Thanks for the rec
>>
>>50735587
Kingdom Death IS like prog rock, finally a metaphor that fits.
>>
>>50773826
which one did you go for ?
>>
>>50773414
Yeah, I knew better than to touch that one with a 10 foot pole. GW has a long history of starting side games and then dicking over players by dropping support when it doesn't instantly earn them as much as their 40K line does.
>>
why the fuck is horned rat 100+ bucks.

was it only printed 100 times or something.
>>
>>50775125
It is? I seem to have quite a bit of money on my hands, seeing as I wanted to sell my copy of CitoW + Horned Rat. But maybe I'll keep it, for the sake of all the fun I've already had with it.
>inb4 I definitely fucked the box at one point
>>
>>50775197
the fucking german version of horned rat is a minimum of 60 bucks.

i literally cant find the english version anywhere for less then 120 bucks
except for this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chaos-in-the-Old-World-The-Horned-Rat-Expansion-FFG-Fantasy-Flight-Games-/122268843746?hash=item1c77ca7ee2:g:~n0AAOSw6DtYUImfbut thats US so useless to me.
maybe one of you will take it
>>
>>50775272
Then it's fortunate that I bought the expansion in English, because it wasn't even out in German when I got it. Nice. This pleases the collector in me.
>>
>>50735587
I liked this review so I went on to watch the Conan review and now this shit's in my SJW blocked sites.
Why is it so hard to find /tg/ media that isn't plagued by thirsty white faggoty nerds pretending to care about sexism and racism as a if women would find them less disgusting for it?
>>
>>50745833
Catacombs, Rhino Hero, Hamsterrolle.

>>50775393
>>50775272
>>50775197
>>50775125
>tfw you saw the writing on the wall when all the digital GW stuff disappeared from FFG's store.
>scoured the great southern land for a copy of the Horned Rat, found one literally on the other side of the country.
>Bought it for RRP 1 day before FFG and GW split.
>Now have a complete copy of CitoW.
Feels pretty good man.
>>
>>50775487
>catacombs
looks fun
>its a kickstarter
oh no
>see it is still available
okay
>kickstarter exclusives
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
how would you rate
Guildhall & Job Faire (AEG)
>>
>>50755386

>Not feeling the satisfaction that comes from making a simple board like that yourself with a few common tools and and a lazy Sunday afternoon.

But why anon
>>
>>50775747

Most exclusives are really meh and I hardly ever use them, base game + Soloth is all you'll ever need.
>>
>>50775747
you can buy all of the "exclusives" from the companies web store.
>>
>>50772032
Archipelago, Mafia de Cuba, and Wecome to the Dungeon.
>>
>>50776121
mm

they are an US company right?

the VAT makes it way to expensive.

unless they have an eu branch somewhere.
>>
>>50775460
Theoretically people actually think these things for themselves irregardless of sex. I wouldn't know because I'm an ocean-dwelling filter feeder who browses and posts on popular internet hivemind 4chan.web
>>
>>50776297
At the end of the day they're just as sexist as their "opponents". Both think a woman is not worth respect unless she dresses and acts exactly like they want them to, they just use different words to say the same shit.
>>
>>50775460
Yeah, maybe you should chill about that second part? It's not like they're completely wrong and both of the guys in the Conan review are actually married,fyi.
>>
okay i need some more help

i can pull the trigger on an 80 euro forbidden stars and 35 euro fury of dracula.

i am mostly considering because they are now oop.

will they be unobtainable?

(i read such good shit about them so i guess they are great games)
>>
>>50776121
where exactly ?
>>
File: ahc01_box_left.png (359KB, 400x459px) Image search: [Google]
ahc01_box_left.png
359KB, 400x459px
Are the PODs worth it?
>>
Anyone know of some good printable games? I live in a shitty country with like 2 fucking game shops to which a have to travel a lot. There are some free printables but i was thinking about maybe making Carcassonne on wooden tiles. I would rather spend money and trips on heavier boxes than that.
>>
File: rm_box.jpg (202KB, 950x720px) Image search: [Google]
rm_box.jpg
202KB, 950x720px
https://zombicide.com/en/rue-morgue/

This is on sale at my FLGS used for 35 bucks. Normally it's 60 or so. My question is: is it worth getting? I enjoyed playing Zombies!!!! but trying to play that as Co-op just didn't work (it was an optional mode but the game was not build for that). Also, are the minis in here the same scale as the Bag'o'Zombies miniatures? I would like to use Zombicide miniatures for an upcoming zombie survival RPG as well as for playing the board game.

As a co-op board game, how does zombicide compare to, say, Pandemic?
>>
>>50776511
They will unobtainable/crazy priced within a year. Buy both if you can afford it, if you don't like either you can resell later and make some money.
>>
>>50777074
Zombicide is ridiculously simple behind the assload of content. It's just chucking dice and laughing at zombies.
>>
>>50776198
Canadian I think

>>50776534
nvm, all sold out apparently. Well they reprinted them all for the new kickstarter so check again in a month or so they will most likely have some to sell again.

>>50777074
It's an ok game, can be fun but it's as deep as your average puddle of water. The games do come with a butt-load of zombie mini's and the tiles are pretty good looking, might be perfect for your RPG. Google some photo's to decide for yourself.
>>
>>50776789
any decent card game can be printed or proxied with ease. The Duke is popular as a DIY, look into that and Coup, Love Letter and Skull.
>>
>>50776297
Irregardful.
The word is irregardful.
>>
>>50772644
No
>look up euro
>it and usd almost at parity
Yes
>>
>>50777207
>skull
Definitely do that, asmodee is garbage
>>
>>50772032
Inis.
>>
>>50772032
Mage Knight and World's Fair 1893
>>
>>50776789
I've PnP'd Skirmish Wars: Colonize and that's a good adaptation of Advance Wars
>>
>>50772032
Millennium Blades, Galaxy Trucker, and TIME Stories from a black friday buy 2 get 1 free deal.
>>
File: BlueSpiritT20.gif (65KB, 600x649px) Image search: [Google]
BlueSpiritT20.gif
65KB, 600x649px
>>50772490
>>50772583
Yup, Cities and Knights is the best expansion. At a party is difficult cause we probably have different definitions of party. My recommendations for light gaming:
5-10 people: Resistance Avalon (Best with 7 or 8). One Night Ultimate Werewolf is also good for the same number.
3-5 people: Cosmic Encounter. If you like it Incursion is best expansion followed by Dominion.
More than 10: Maybe Ultimate Werewolf? Player elimination kinda bums me out for that, and people tend to wander away from it or break up into smaller after the first couple games in my experience. 2 Rooms and a Boom is good if you can consistently get 10-20 people. Definitely best with 12-14 or so. Has so much variety you won't outplay it for a long time if you like it. Unfortunately you need a moderator usually. Friend had an app, but it was kinda shit.

Those are light party-ish games. Codnames is SUPER solid choice I forgot to list (best with 6-8 though 4 is a lot of fun too). Those are all social games.

If you like deeper games Powergrid and Carcassone are the usual introductions (though Cities and Knights fits right there). From there I went to Rex and Dominant Species, but it differs. By that point, you'll know what you want to play and can make your own decisions.
>>
>>50778031
Wouldn't the best adaption be a 1:1 translation with dice used to imitate the spread mechanic
>>
File: BlueSpiritT50.gif (23KB, 600x649px) Image search: [Google]
BlueSpiritT50.gif
23KB, 600x649px
>>50772438
Meant to tag this one, my b
>>50778341
I've thought about it more, and my top recommendations would be Codenames (pictures is aight, but go with regular its significantly more challenging) and either Secret Hitler or The Resistance Avalon (fill the same function, SH can handle more players and is the current favorite for most, but I'll never turn down Resistance personally.)

Note also that (The Resistance + Hidden Agenda expansion is the exact same as Avalon, but with a better theme imo).
>>
>>50771116
Good solo game. Expansions add some interesting wrinkles. The price is still good right now. If you're thinking about it, I'd do it soon.
>>
>>50772032
Mansions of Madness 2nd, Forbidden Stars, Feudum
>>
>>50765301

But understanding the thought process that goes into the decision tree of a game helps you to understand the depth of the gameplay.

>I just can't

Wait a minute, we have a redditor here. Fuck off, redditor.
>>
>>50773496
That picture looks like the 2nd edition of FoD. 3rd is preferable.
>>
>>50778429
Resistance was fun when I was getting into the hobby, but it's gone really, really stale on me. You don't really have any choice about whether to lie or not, or any room for creativity about what lie you'll try and use. The expansions help with those problems a bit, but at its core less than half the table has any real motivation to use subterfuge and even then you're pretty restricted.
>>
File: IMG_1658.jpg (109KB, 444x556px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1658.jpg
109KB, 444x556px
>>50776454
I think you accidentally typed '4chan' into your browser when you really meant to type in 'reddit'. Faggot.
>>
>>50778574
I'm not the anon you responded to, but...

If rahdo actually took the time to clearly and succinctly point out all the different iterations that his turn could take, then he'd be watchable. Instead, he meanders all over the place, incoherently trying to find the most 'hugbox'-y move so that he doesn't hurt his wife's pwecious feewings. Even though she's not even playing the fucking game!! And, he fucks the rules up more times than not.

If you want to watch garbage anon, I can't stop you. But I'll watch other content creators who aren't incoherent Care Bear shills.
>>
>>50778658
Yeah I agree with you. It does stale with play, and at the risk of contradicting myself I WOULD turn down the base game for just about anything haha. I think the HA expansion adds so much amazing content though, and I love almost all of it. Honestly the reason why I don't like SH as much. Either I am fascist and I love it, or liberal and not that interested. The roles give a lot more people interesting gameplay, compared to just a few. Plus, the roles complicate the game enough that even the regular loyalists have a lot more to think about, compared to, "well he could have drawn 3 fascists, though not as likely."

I know you weren't vouching for SH, but it is an easy comparison and gets some points across.
>>
>>50776617
If you can handle the lower printing quality and seemingly higher difficulty (Rougarou on Standard I think has a -6 token).
>>
>>50778574
I'm an aspie. I don't like Rahdo. I like shit quick and to the point, and I have no patience for fuckers trying to be cute. If you're gonna describe something, just fucking describe it in a a clear, logical fashion, in as few words as possible.

>lel, go back2reddit
cute
>>
>>50779289
>If you're gonna describe something, just fucking describe it in as unprofitable a fashion as possible.
I would start a two-minute review channel but I only have like thirty games and I've only played twice that.
>>
>>50779289
I agree. It's why I prefer text reviews. It's so much faster to get to the point of what the reviewer is saying.
>>
>>50779786
What games? Any coop ones that you would recommend?
>>
>>50780628
I have a very Steevian view of co-op.
So no, I would never rec a co-op.
>>
>>50781147
Why would you never recommend a coop?
>>
>>50781271
wouldn't*
>>
>>50781271
If I want to play against a set of algorithms I'll play a vidya.
The only exception imo is Kingdom Death, but only because of those amazing fucking models. I don't even consider it a plastic-pusher, or at least it's what a plastic-pusher should be but most aren't, because it comes in HIPS instead of PVC and comes in sprues, meaning that they're much better than the vaguely thing-shaped blobs that come in, say, Mythic Battles: Pantheon.
>>
>>50781404
What competitive games would you recommend then?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.