[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOARD GAMES GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 24

File: Board Games.jpg (502KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games.jpg
502KB, 900x900px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
>>50557864

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently? How was it?

Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?

How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?

What bothers you most about your gaming group?
>>
>>50665738
>someone last thread posts "this is the end my friend" in response to thread falling off board
>amid the cia and fbi having a war over russian influence on the election
My anxiety didn't need this.
>>
File: wishlistfp.jpg (977KB, 1543x1231px) Image search: [Google]
wishlistfp.jpg
977KB, 1543x1231px
Strike up to two games off my wishlist. I will get the last five games that remain.
>>
Asking the question again:
Would you advise someone who just bought Zombie Dice to buy the School Bus expansion? Is the decision-making factor really made that much more important? Or is the game better off staying basic?
>>
>>50666068
Robinson Crusoe, first martians will probably be better. But reverse that vote if early reviews say otherwise.
>>
Suggestions for a game of 10~14 normies / sociable people (See: Casual) mix of men and women (75% husbando/waifu)?

Games we've played:

Cards Against Humanity
Settlers of Catan
Munchkin
Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (mostly this one and CAH)
Ultimate Werewolf
Codenames

Recently tried Coup, but it was a little too involved for some people.
>>
>>50666068
I'd strike out Raptor, Deep Madness and the CE expansion.
I already own a few in that pic, but a lot of them are also on my wishlist. I'd take
>>
>>50667049
>Coup
>Too involved
Is this for a mental health support group or something? Holy shit.
I don't know man, play catch with a ball or something.
>>
>>50667049
2 rooms and a Boom
Mafia de Cuba
Say Anything
Telestrations
Bang! Dice
Saboteur
Funempoloyed
Spyfall
>>
>>50667174
These are normally good recs, but for people who can't play COUP? I don't even know. Maybe say anything I guess.
>>
>>50667245
Funemployed is basically charades on a script, even the most moronic of normalfags can play that and enjoy themselves.

Also since I'm talking about charades
>Monikers
>>
>>50665738
>What have you played recently? How was it?
Galaxy Trucker for the first time. Took longer than I expected, watching my ship get destroyed was good fun even though getting knocked out of an entire round as soon as it began seemed like poor design, not sure about replay value when the best part of the game is drawing a finite set of cards in random order to confirm whether you followed "ship-building best practices" you should be aware of after the first game, but we went easy on the time limit factor so mounting pressure as we get more competitive should alleviate that.

Dr. Eureka was also fun even though the prospect of transfering balls from one cylinder to another to match patterns didn't seem appealing. It didn't really excite me, but watching my friends stressing over it was amusing.

>Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?
The Horned Rat for CitOW because I've known I wanted it for nearly a year and now it's OOP. Or for a non-expansion, probably Alea Iacta Est because it's so different from everything else in my collection, but I have yet to try it.

>How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?
Seven, though more interested me but I pulled out because of high cost and/or lack of interest from my friends. Got everything I've pledged for.

>What bothers you most about your gaming group?
No one wants to get together to play 2-player games. I generally only get to while we're waiting for other people to show up.
>>
>>50667636
>No one wants to get together to play 2-player games. I generally only get to while we're waiting for other people to show up.
I'm rather well-off for this, one of my friends owns and runs an LCS and I can jsut show up anytime with a game and we'll start playing.
>>
>>50667911
I made friends with the owners of the board game café that recently opened in town so that may be my solution as well, but I've just had too much work this season to really go there and just hang out with them (without my other friends being present).
>>
>>50665738
Castle Ravenloft at $50, buy or not?
>>
>recent
did a few solo runs of Zimby Mojo to learn the rules and grasp on strategies and a solo run of Pax Porfiriana to learn the rules again after failing badly the first time. I can't wait to get a 4p+ session going with Zimby Mojo, though it's hard to get a good grasp of strategy with soloing Pax. will need to play it with my Saturday group who far more willing to learn rules than the Friday group

>top of wishlist
Cave Evil: Warcults, still waiting for my pre-order to be mailed out, looks like it'll be my wargame GOAT. skimmed through the _92-page rulebook on their web site yesterday and I'm getting super pumped to play it, especially considering how flexible the rules are with incrementing complexity

>KS
only one which had finished the campaign less than a month ago, I have currently pledged puresatan tier for KD:M but that's honestly just a placeholder until I can actually figure out my real budget

>gaming group woes
Friday group - one particularly annoying shitter who is too ADD to learn anything as "complex" as Kemet, also the group as a whole seems to be unreliable atm for the past few weeks due to possible drama, not sure when it'll start happening regularly again
Saturday group - it's only three of us :(
>>
>>50668351
Gambler's second face myself. Gonna add the old expacs and scalp the pinups and promos.
>>
>>50668361
yeah, I'm undecided on whether I want the pinups or not as I don't care too much for them except for Satan Twins, chances are I'll probably go Ancient Gold + new expacs + Satan Twins
>>
>>50665738
I'm really liking Bezier's catalogue.
It's owned by Asmodee, isn't it.
>>
>>50665738
How many expansions should you have for an 8 player game of Munchkin? Can you mix stand alone games of Munchkin with the main or other Stand alones? Would be be good to add to Bites and Bites 2?
>>
File: IMG_0422.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0422.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>>50665738
I think I'm done with Ascension for now
>>
>>50669619
>Can you mix
However many you want
>SHOULD you mix
None, play something else. Respect your friends time spent with you.
>>
>>50665738
Subdivision is $10 at CSI right now and thebStsr Trek games are fairly cheap too
>>
TFW A POORLY DESIGNED GAME WITH AN EXCITING THEME WILL HIT THE TABLE MORE THAN A DRY GAME WITH SUPER FUN MECHANICS EVEN THOUGH THE DRY GAME IS SUPERIOR
>>
>>50670117
So how many players is Bites plus Bites 2 good for?
>>
Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity both get like two real, hard laughs per hour-long fucking game and maybe twice as many chuckles and that's it. Fuck that. Plus I don't care for party games all that much to begin with.

Are there any board or card games that are genuinely funny, or that genuinely consistently produce real laughs?

Besides me laughing when I wreck everybody in Sheriff of Nottingham, every fucking time.
>>
>>50668340
Price tag is OK. Not great, but OK. So is the game.
At least you can use the minis for an RPG.
>>
File: 1431548998836.gif (994KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1431548998836.gif
994KB, 300x169px
>>50670296
>mfw
>>
I love playing board games, but I think in the past year or so I've spent more time watching TDT Top Ten Lists than playing games.
>>
>>50670296
>tfw the entire group is into the driest of euros
>whenever we decide to play something thematic for a change everything eventually gets rebranded into pumpkins and indigo
>>
>>50672166
Wait, they... intentionally retheme other games into trade simulators? Why?!
>>
>>50671393
Well I tend to laugh when I/we get destroyed by coop games, especially when it's particularly unforgiving. That's just me, though.

Anything that has people make stuff up (make combinations, draw something, charades, etc.) should produce funny situations, if only because of how bad some people can be at those games. Cranium and Dixit come to mind.

There's this little game some of my friends suggest from time to time for large groups, I have no idea what name its commercial form has but you only really need pencils and slips of paper to play it. Essentially it's an exquisite corpse, but with alternating short phrases and their depictions rather than only words or a collective drawing. Every player starts their own thread with a theme of their choice. Every time you switch you get a new drawing or description, and you have to describe it/draw it without seeing what came before. At the end, everyone tries to guess which drawing corresponds to their original prompt. You get points for guessing correctly, and bonus points to the players who made the funniest image and the funniest description (once everything has been revealed).

Looking at the terrible drawings and just how far from the original idea you can get is usually a blast.
>>
>>50672196
Official version is Telestrations.
>>
>>50672193
It just happens. Eventually someone nicknames some resource or mini type after a crop and the whole theme comes tumbling down afterwards.
>>
>>50672212
You should just hop up, walk over, and slap that person in the face.

Or, and this is just at thought, ask them not to do that, pointing out that the game is meant to be thematic.
>>
>>50671818
>Spend more time thinking about / studying THING than doing THING.
Congratulations, you're a nerd.
>>
>>50671818
omg i love wil weaton too xD
>>
>>50672561
>The Dice Tower
>Wheaton
wat
>>
>>50672202
Thanks. Looking around on BGG, Scribblish is the one my friends own(ed). At a glance I think I'd recommend it over Telestrations for the more elaborate prompts (and choice of 3 on each card) and the fact that you're trying to guess how your idea evolved rather than just look at everything right away. Using dry erase is a pretty good idea, though.
>>
>>50672579
think about it some more, you'll get it eventually
>>
>>50666068
9/10 wishlist
Striking off Roll for the Galaxy
>>
>>50666272
try it without it first
>>
Is Super Dungeon Explore fun/good?

I really like the miniatures.
>>
File: pic263280_md[1].jpg (171KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
pic263280_md[1].jpg
171KB, 500x333px
>>50663120
>>50663149
Ok, so here's a run down of Galaxy Trucker 2 major expansions.
Add to any game!
1: Fifth player, armored pieces, double purpose pieces, 6 new adventure cards (3 of those are questionably an advanced game thing).
2: Solar panels, armored cargo

Advanced games
1: Blue aliens, boosters, cryo stasis, furnace
2: Mission 4, router, hybrid life support, thrusters, intruders and all their associated pieces and cards.

Use at your own risk!
1: Harder events, even HARDER events, alternate boards
2: Additional cards for the harder and even harder shit, support teams

Hope this helps. The Big Expansion is much more vanilla. It's more shit and the fifth player is great because this game doesn't really suffer from more played slowing anything down. You can add most of it to any game, but the extra difficulty cards come off as just too much. Only add those if you really feel like you're not blowing up enough. Another Big Expansion is much more of a twist but almost all of it adds advanced rules and will overwhelm newer players or people who just play this game for the simplicity. That fourth mission though is great if you are with a group that wants a more epic finale to the game and all are ok with the game lasting a little longer.

Missions is the big update to the game that it was asking for to spice it up. These make each of your runs more interesting with a twist that actually gives you a goal to aim for. Maybe you're in a race and engines are more important, maybe you're able to score big by attaching special pieces to your ship but those special pieces are dangerous and will absolutely blow the fuck up if lightly tapped. Some of missions though mentions invaders, it's easy to filter those out. Everything in this game is super modular and easy to add or remove as you see fit.
>>
>>50666068
Just get Roll for the Galaxy, Terraforming Mars, FCM (while it's on sale), Twilight Struggle, and Scythe.
>>
>>50672938
I'd go for Dominant Species, TS, Bios: Genesis, Space Empires 4x and Terraforming Mars/Inis/Scythe/FCM/Trickerion/Innovation
>>

Imagine (was a fun little party gaem); Magic : Arena of the Planeswalkers (I like it, but I still think Heroscape's better); Legends of Andor (ehhhhh... It's ok, but the whole adventuring feel seems very abstracted)
Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?
Right now... Nothing actually. I really wanted to buy Mansions of Madness 2 for christmas, but now that it's been released in french, I'm not feeling it anymore. Waiting for the french reprint of Scythe I guess.
How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?
15. Still waiting on lots of them. Waiting for the Camp Grizzly expansions; for the Wave 2 of Shadows of Brimstone, Waiting for TMNT (should arrive in the next few days); Ghostbusters II, The Walking Dead No Sanctuary, Shadows of Brimstone : Forbidden Fortress and Evil Dead II
What bothers you most about your gaming group?
My main group has been completely unavailable for a whole fucking year because of small children and weddings and shit. Thankfully, I have formed a second group over the last two years. But I'm still waiting for the main group (we got Risk Legacy to finish damnit)
>>
>>50670276
>every expac for eminent domain is 66% off
>watch a rules and play vid for eminent domain
>eww
Fuck.
>>
>>50672232
For Scythe my group nicknamed power into bug, popularity into love, and oil and workers into earl and dudes. The master builder in Castles Ludwig is Master Blaster, the colonists in PR are slaves (I think this one is quite common though), and the death stars in TI3 are battle boobs.
Just accept the nicknames, anon. Let the silliness wash over you.
>>
>>50674955
>playing tzolkin
>the skulls are always on the opposite side of the table
>kind of look like rabbits
>cant get it out of my mind

i started calling the skulls rabbits and they couldnt stop me.
>>
>>50674955
Ships in Cosmic Encounter are Space Nipples, robber in Catan is The Asshole, diseases in Pandemic are AIDS, Yellow Fever, Reggaeton and Jews, colonists form Puerto Rico are Negroes
>>
i backed the tiny epic quest kickstarter and i am allowed to add on their other games without shipping.

what is the difference between
Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms deluxe ?
and
tiny epic kingdoms deluxe (2nd)

first off is the ultra version a copy of the second edition?

second is the expansion worth it to get the tiny version instead of the ultra version.
>>
>>50674955
Eldritch stats are Book, Brain, Pump, Eye and Handshake

Always
>>
>>50665738
>Played recently
Finally sat down with Imhotep. It was fun, but one of the players decided to screw me and himself without really thinking about it because he was "done thinking." Imhotep itself is mechanically sound and gives interesting choices, but not unique at what it does at all
Also played my first game of Dixit. I can see how it might be fun but don't play with vacuous people. Unless everyone comes up with imaginative prompts you're basically playing "Guess the shapes"
>top of wishlist
Inis, but I just can't afford to get another $45 game. Next in line might be Insider
>KS
None, zero, never
>>50669322
Nope
>>
>>50674955
Heroism tokens in Assault on Doomrock are YOLO (because you have a limited window to use them so you just go for it instead of stockpiling).
>>
Got to play Mansions of Madness 2nd edition again last night, the Shattered Bonds campaign. Last time we played we did an old campaign adapted to 2nd edition, but Shattered Bonds was made for 2nd edition. The big difference between first and second edition campaigns that makes this version so much better is the new campaigns all have a really interesting non combat twist to the investigation, often using the app to their advantage for NPCs. For example, in our campaign we were trying to protect a family from an invisible monster who was attracted to noise. We had several ways to make noise but also could go up to the family members and tell them to run to a different room. Playing the Dunwich Horror campaign adapted from first edition, the entire thing just played out as a giant slugfest beating up swarms of monsters. I glanced into the zombie campaign also from first edition and it was pretty much the same thing. I almost regret buying the packs because the first edition campaigns just are so dull in comparison.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/crokinole-2016-hardwood-edition-2-4-player-dexteri

AWH YEA MUH FUKKEN CROKINOLE THAT I CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD
>>
>>50679630
Nice catch anon!
>>
>>50679630
I'm pretty sure you can get a crokinole board for less than a hundred bucks and you won't have to wait six months for it.
>>
>>50679630
>Mayday crokinole
>Mayday anything

Nope, no no no, NO. Do not piss your money away on 3rd-rate shit.
>>
>>50679630
>Shipping is as cheap as $8 to China or as cheap as $15 to the USA. All other countries, your shipping is going to be very expensive indeed due to the size/weight of the game

well shit : <
>>
>>50679841
I'm getting it in February.
Also if you can pull up a similar quality board for under $114 shipped, I'll buy it right now.
They seem legit and even use a mahogany veneer.

>>50679909
Same thing as above- if you can find a better/same quality board/discs for $114 shipped or less, I'll buy it now.
>>
>>50680060
>veneer
You're better than that, anon.
>>
File: 10.10.16_7YW-FG_Gameboard.jpg (1MB, 2448x1584px) Image search: [Google]
10.10.16_7YW-FG_Gameboard.jpg
1MB, 2448x1584px
>How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?

0, but I've ordereded 3 games from GMT's p500 program since it became EU-friendly.

Pericles - Once I heard about this game I was hooked immediately. Semi-cooperative games are my jam, and a 2v2ish game set during the Pelopponesian Wars is just right up my alley.

Falling Sky: Ariovistus - I haven't played much Falling Sky yet, but what a game; I just know I'll want to get this game at some point anyway. I'm not too big on the gallic wars yet (still waiting for Landmark's edition of Caesar's Gallic Wars to get made), but a prequel seems like a cool idea. Apparently they'll include a campaign scenario covering Caesar's entire time in Gaul, which sounds just dumb enough that I'll have to try it sometime.

The Seven Year's War: Frederick's Gamble (pic related) - I don't have any games covering this period, and a semi-cooperative 2v2 game seems cool, and I really dig point-to-point wargames in general, but I don't have any that are so decidedly about war; I also don't have any other game in this "series", so it feels like it'll fill a hole in my wargame collection. It's at 499 orders right now, so It'll probably get made.
>>
>>50681722
>It's at 499 orders right now, so It'll probably get made.
It isn't actually 500, it uses some weird algorithm that considers order velocity. I've seen them print games with as few as 300 orders.
>>
File: pic3188996.jpg (779KB, 1701x1101px) Image search: [Google]
pic3188996.jpg
779KB, 1701x1101px
>>50681780
Huh, I didn't know that. Whatever works, I guess
>>
>>50681907
This looks legit adding to wishlist.
>>
>>50681722
>Pericles - Once I heard about this game I was hooked immediately. Semi-cooperative games are my jam, and a 2v2ish game set during the Pelopponesian Wars is just right up my alley.

Can you tell me more about the game? I'm collecting a list of team vs team games.
>>
>>50680957
Wat

Instead of sneering at what I'm buying like a condescending nigger, why don't you link me to what you would get in its stead, fucko?
>>
>>50682316
We both know that nitwit-anon doesn't even own a Crokinole set. He keeps his imaginary Crokinole game right next to his imaginary 'GO' board.
>>
>>50682316
Hilinski
>>
>>50675263
>calling it pump instead of flex
And you were this close to being correct.
>>
Game of Thrones: Hand of The King - surprisingly fun, given I've watched one whole episode
Automobiles - nice hybrid game, but I didn't quite understand how Wear worked, which kind of screwed me over (but I was too polite to say anything).
Junta - never actually started a coup, but the one half of the game I DID play was damn good... I lucked out with a shitload of Influences at the start of the game, and managed to get two cabinet positions because El Presidente wanted to keep on my good side... right up until he sent "burglars" to kill me in my home on account of all the money I was hoarding.
>Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?
I don't have a wishlist right now
Quite a few. I'm only waiting for one right now - the latest reprint of Braggart.
>>
>>50682546
>hilinski
>less than $114
Someone don't read gud
>>
File: marco polo.png (136KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
136KB, 212x300px
What a great game.
>>
Convince me not to drop $60 on Feudum when I won't be able to play it for almost a year and will probably have lost interest by then.
>>
>>50684488
Invest those $60 in FoD and save it in shrinkwrap for a year. Scalp for $120. Buy Feudum or whatever you want with the cash.
>>
>>50684622
FoD?
>>
>>50684741
Fury of Dracula, which will go oop in Jan
>>
What do you guys use a tokens for levels in Munchkins? I was thinking about getting some mini poker chips that are a bit bigger than pennies but does anyone have any other suggestions? It's about 6$ for 50 of these chips, cheaper suggestions would be appreciated
>>
>>50684916
>Munchkin
>>
>>50684928
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>50684916
print a 10-space track and use a pawn for each player
>>
>>50684916
Literally pennies.
>>50684940
Second place always wins.
>>
>>50684940
Everything. It's a very small step above Exploding Kittens.
>>
>>50685011
Whats wrong with Exploding Kittens?
>>
>>50685033
Everything. It's a small step above Candyland.
>>
>>50685090
What about Mage Knight? I just ordered that off of Amazon and was thinking about getting Monster Rejects. Do you have any more of a detailed explanation about what is wrong with Exploding Kittens and Munchkin? Any recommendations for similar easy to pick up and play card games?
>>
>>50685126
Mage Knight is a small step above Go Fish.
>>
>>50685265
How?
>>
>>50685283
How is just a shittier Why
>>
>>50685340
I already knew that. You don't get a why you get a how.
>>
>>50685283
Now he's taking the piss out of you, mage Knight is solid, but might be too complicated for you if you really still think munchkin and exploding kittens are good games.

And they're not good games because there's basically nothing to them beyond LOL THERES A JOKE ON MY CARD. There's basically no interesting decision to ever be made while "playing them", you just draw and resolve. They're about as much of a game as rolling a die and seeing who gets a bigger number.
>>
>>50685367
I didn't really think they were advanced games as much as games to have a laugh with some friends while drinking.

What's with the low ratings on the 2nd Mage Knight expansion? Is it just because of the production quality problems or because it wasn't as good?
>>
>>50685391
Quality problems, the cards are slightly different size and shade
Heard nothing but good about the actual gameplay
>>
>>50685422
Are they going to do another run of it to fix the quality problems?
>>
>>50685391
If all you really want to do is laugh and socialize there's nothing wrong with that, but at some point just plain talking with your friends is more fun than playing something stupid.
>>
>>50685583
That's just like your opinion man.
>>
>>50685649
No it's the required opinion to take part in these threads, if you don't like it join talismayne's kik group.
>>
>>50685702
>using kik
Nah.
>>
>>50665738
I just spent $25 on a copy of Power Grid on a recommendation from a gaming buddy.

did I waste my money?
or did I get a reasonable deal?
>>
>>50685961
Pretty good deal, it's a kickass game, just beware when playing it with engineers, physicists, programmers, mathematicians or data analysts.
>>
>>50686051
what if i am one of those things?
>>
>>50686095
Then number crunch your way to curbstomp city, and make your foes cry tears of despair.
>>
>>50686131
ah, good.
>>
>>50684940
>>50685033
Munchkin and Exploding Kittens are just very shallow games. Munchkin is the more hated of the 2 for taking way too long for how little you do. Exploding Kittens has even less decisions but at least goes by relatively quickly. They're in the genre of "We made a comical theme to hide that our game is about as deep as mass market”. 'Take that!' games can be done well, but these 2 just kinda rely on their quirkyness for success and it works for the right crowds, but boardgame enthusiasts generally get pretty sad because the mass market is so flooded with shallow games that holds the hobby in that "Oh, you mean like monopoly?" view to the public.
>>
Has anyone played abaddon? They have a kick starter up for an expansion with a tier that has the base game plus expansion for a good deal. Was thinking about pledging.

What about other suggestions for good mech board games?
Link related it's the abaddon kick starter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/toyvaultinc/abaddon-shattered-command-a-tabletop-game-by-richa/description
>>
>>50686472
I feel like the negative response to Exploding Kittens is a kneejerk reaction, it's perfect as an UNO replacement and takes half the time. Sure, you wouldn't organize a game night just for it, and you'd scorn someone for life if they did, but if you're waiting at the rest area of a car wash or similar and have nothing to do for 30 minutes, it's perfect to pull out as a time killer.
>>
>>50686882
>$77 shipping anywhere in the world
Holy shit. I'd actually consider it if it supported better than 2vs2 though, nice of them to keep the pledge level low to compensate for shipping. Richard Borg did Memoir 44 didn't he?
>>
>>50687060
Not familiar with his other games. Doesn't look like the kickstarter is going to get funded though they haven't done shit for getting it's word out.
>>
>>50687060
And Command & Colors/BattleLore/Battles of Westeros/BattleCry/The Great War

Is Abaddon yet another take on trhe same system?
>>
>>50686957
This would be a viable defense, but only if there aren't just as quick, just as easy to teach, just as easy to transport games that are actually not garbage.
>>
>>50687234
Not really familiar with the other games so I can't say but the kickstarter has a good description and links to a video that goes over the game.
>>
>>50687238
Any suggestions then? A friend of mine has been keen on buying it and I won't be stopping him, but I wouldn't mind steering him towards other games either. Needs to be cheap (he hasn't bought it yet because he felt it was expensive), portable, easy to teach (he wants to play it with his non-board gamer friends for passing the time), and quick to play. Skull probably qualifies, not sure what the MSRP of that one is though.
>>
>>50687280
Seems legit.
How did a Richard Borg game not get insta-funded? The name itself is free publicity, regardless of whatever the game is.
>>
>>50687444
Oh right it's not a game, but an expansion campaign.
>>
>>50687444
Not advertised for shit. No one knows about it. If used social media I would try and spread the word some but I don't. Kind of disapointed. It's only $40 for both the base game and expansion on kickstarter while retail the base game is 60$ and the expansion is $40 just for it. Much more affordable from the kickstarter.
>>
>>50687238
It would help if you were to drop some titles. Generally I don't have any "Take that!" games for lunch, so I can't help you there. The closest I got is Baseball Highlights 2045 which is a 40 minute game in a moderate sized box. When I do lunch time games, I generally play Star Realms or Onitama.
>>
>>50687394
Skull is a solid rec, I'd also throw in love letter, welcome to the dungeon, coup, mafia de Cuba, Kenjin, mascarade, maybe one night revolution or ultimate werewolf, with picks among those depending on expected player count and mechanic preferences - I have a strong visible bias towards bluffing and hidden information.
>>
>>50687593
Rhino Heroooooo
>>
>>50687593
Las Vegas, Coloretto, Take 5, Can't Stop, No Thanks, Cockroach Poker
>>
>>50687561
Guessing you meant to reply to >>50687394? Deckbuilders might be too complicated for his normie friends, I'll see if he's interested in Onitama though.

>>50687593
Mafia and One Night might be too long/requires too many players for what he's intending to do with it, the rest might be decent though, I know he liked Love Letter atleast. Kenjin I might pick up for myself. Does Mascarade/Coup work for 2-3 players too?

I've played Welcome to the Dungeon before, and oddly enough it didn't feel as fun as people usually described it. Maybe the guy that brought it just taught it poorly, or did the theme really suffer that much from translation?

>>50687729
I'll look into these, we definitely enjoyed a makeshift version of Cockroach Poker though, and Take 5(6?) was fun but might take a bit of table space. No Thanks seems a likely recommendation.

Thanks for the alternative suggestions guys.
>>
>>50687593
how does Welcome to the Dungeon compare to Welcome Back to the Dungeon.
>>
>>50687889
Coup works just fine at 2-3, though 2 is a little weird. Mascarade in the same boat, but a little better / less random, I think. Mafia and One Night are on a similar timescale in my experience, though some groups can certainly draw out debate long enough to change that.
Can't comment on WttD's translation problems, but it's been a little hit and miss with me. Definetly not as pure as it's cousin Skull without bringing a really rich theme to compensate, but some of my friends like it better.
>>
>>50687990
Welcome back has more interesting effects, if I had to pick one that's the winner. But it's close enough that I still haven't talked myself into picking it up since I already have the first one.
>>
>>50688041
So if you have neither you would recomend Welcome back to the Dungeon?
>>
>>50688071
Definetly. The margin isn't big, but it's enough.
>>
Is there a board game where you can read other people's physical tells
>>
>>50689472
yes it's called every board game ever
>>
Dawn of the second day
- 48 hours remain -
>>
File: pericles playtest.jpg (67KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pericles playtest.jpg
67KB, 500x375px
>>50682122
It is a 2v2 game, where only one player can be the winner. Much like Churchill it is not only a question of winning the war, you also have to emerge on the other side more powerful than the other party in your citystate. The Athenians are the Aristocrats and the Demagogues, the Spartans are Eurypontids and Agiads.

That said, it is a sandbox game. You don't necessarily have to go to war with the other state, but peace can still have proxy forces engaging one another. Moving troops around is less a question of maneuvering and more a question of how much to commit to the various theaters.
>>
>>50690082
SHOULD I BACK IT?

HOW TO DECIDE?

IS THERE A RAHDO VID YET?
>>
>>50690111
Yes
I have decided for you.
No and there won't be.
>>
>>50690111
There's an Undead Viking vid.
It looks so very appealing, but my gaming group won't touch mid-heavy euros with an 11-foot pole
>>
>>50690097
>Aristocrats and the Demagogues
Funny how both these tendencies seem to be execrated by modernity yet the system they set up so vaunted.
>>
hnnnnnnnn, strike bios:genesis I guess
>>
>>50690097
Ah thanks not really a team vs team game then.

Speaking of which: team vs team update

Reposting the question about team games from the previous thread.

> What are the best games that create competing teams. 2v2, 3v3, 2v2v2, whatever. Games where you get a partner or partners you're working with against an equal opposing team.

Team game list. Games with politics, backstabbing, unknown teams or hidden traitor mechanics don't coun't.

Games:
> Cyclades
2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. Symmetric roles.
> StarCraft
Team play variant. Symmetric roles (differen races)
> Captain Sonar
team vs team, different roles
> Space Cadets: Dice Duel
team vs team, different roles
> Code Names
team vs team, party game
> Sails of Glory
technically works with literally any count
> Quartermaster General
Team vs team, n vs m | 1 >= n >= m >= 3
> Duel of Ages II
Duel of Ages II should fit the bill pretty well and can work with uneven player numbers if people are willing to manage more characters, has enough strategy and management involved to be considered complicated (highly variable character powers and stats, characters relying on using ranged weapons which need to be picked up and most likely traded) and also scales up to 8 players, 16 with the expansion. I believe it's currently OOP (pretty sure the Master Set is and boy is that an expansion and a half) but I imagine there will be another print run sometime this decade as the designer is working on another expansion

Too lazy to check the counts/verify
> 1775: rebellion
> Arena of the Planeswalkers
> Heroscape
>>
>>50672739
Shit taste detected
>>
>>50691325
Mental midget incapable of framing a cogent argument detected...
>>
File: 846.jpg (555KB, 1543x1231px) Image search: [Google]
846.jpg
555KB, 1543x1231px
>>50666068
>>50666347
>>50667085
>>50672739

Alright. Keep going guys! You will determine the next 5 games I'll buy.
>>
>>50692523
Santorini and Cosmic Encounter.
>>
>>50692523
through the ages
scythe
terraforming mars
twilight struggle
high frontier

>actually just choosing the most expensive games instead of quality.
>>
>>50668340
Sure. It's pretty decent.
>>
>>50692523
Strike off Cosmic Eons and Neuroshima Hex. No reason.
>>
>>50692546
He's asking for two votes of things to STRIKE from the list
>>
So I grabbed mage night when Amazon had it for sale for $42. Are any of the expansions must haves, or am I good with the base for a while?
>>
>>50694495
The first expansion with SwordsChick and General BeefMcWhoCares the Badguy has the best scenarios, other than that none are super vital.
>>
>>50694528
How many players can you get the game up to with expansions? I've noticed that the expansions list it going up to 5 players from the standard 4. Can you get it up to 7 players with all of the expansions?
>>
>>50681722
GMT BOIIIIIS
I'm excited to run a game of Virgin Queen over the holidays. We have three new players, but me and another player are well experienced enough with the game to play it well.
The last game of VQ I played was full of probability going wild just when it would be interesting. The high point of the game was an Ottoman attack on a spanish port with a ton of ships in it. The ottomans were outnumbered 6 galleys to 2 galleys and 3 corsairs, but they had an ace in their sleeve-the fire ships combat card, which boosted up their total number of dice to 11 versus the spanish 12.

They then went on to roll 7 hits on those 11 dice, while the spanish only rolled 2 on their 12. Needless to say, the ottomans dominated the mediterranian that turn through piracy.
>>
>>50694640
People sometimes say that Mage Knight is best at 1. Three might be stretching it and I'm guessing that you won't be having fun at any more than that.
>>
>>50694640
Each expansion adds one to the theoretical max players. But this is a bad idea. Mage Knight for all it's virtues has serious downtime issues. Playing with four people you can easily be waiting 30 minutes between your turns if they aren't dead serious about being fast.
>>
>>50694815
Ah, okay. Are there any online stores that are selling the reprint of the 2nd expansion? The people on Amazon are saying that the on there is the fucked up version.
>>
Don't die on me.
>>
File: 1481505442119.png (5KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481505442119.png
5KB, 640x480px
>>50665831

one would think after the CIA fucked up the last few times (muh weapons of mass destruction) sheep would stop believing this shit. If anything, the Russian government have been digging stuff up that the U.S. government have been trying to hide since the DNC (assassinations/deliberate orders to shut people up, fucking Bernie and his overwhelming support from Dem. supporters etc.) The most that Russia did was point out political corruption that most of us knew about already and cheer Trump on. don't let anxiety take over, never take any statements from the CIA seriously, their just as interested in subversion and political control as the KGB was back in the day. They were then, they were now.
>>
>>50667094
Kek
>>
>>50698820
>Russia is only hacking us to keep us honest
Really
>>
Should I buy Kemet or Cyclades?
>>
>>50699162
The only hacking they did was to post the DNCs emails that showed Hillary rigged the primaries for herself.
>>
>>50692523
Strike Tigris & Euphrates because fuck Asmodee and cheaper components
Strike The Grizzled because it's one of the easy ones to get a hold of in the future
>>
>>50699237
Does you heart swell when Conan describes What is Best in Life, or do you like auctions?
>>
File: 1481323664142.jpg (35KB, 395x267px) Image search: [Google]
1481323664142.jpg
35KB, 395x267px
>>50698820

Because it is in their interest to do so.

They get the real truth by hacking, and then leak it to damage the least Russia-friendly candidate in the race.

They spy on us as they always do so they can counter us in global affairs (everyone does this), leak the wrongdoings of the Feds etc. to the American public to damage the one candidate who is openly blaming Russia for just about everything she has fucked up in the past (way before the DNC) who also happens to be an ardent hawk concerning Russian affairs, willing to do just about anything to fuck them and their interests at every turn. (economic sanctions, prohibitions concerning action in the middle east via the U.N. etc.) considering the alternative, Russia did not even have to lie to sabotage Clinton's efforts to claim the presidency, especially since Trump has been far more open to negotiations with Russia, especially in regards to halting ISIS in the middle east, where Russia has been struggling to get an oil-based foothold in an effort to prop up their completely fucked economy (due in part to the above mentioned sanctions).
>>
Is ascension the deck buidling game worth getting?
I wanted to add a DBG to my collection and ascension is 30 bucks for the third edition.
>>
>>50699892
It's pretty good, but as in most of the 5 card deckbuilders, the choices are often limited to "what is the most expensive card I can get/kill this turn?".
You can't rely on planning a long-term strategy to win the game, so this is a downer for people who like deeper games.
It's fun, it's relatively short and it's not too complicated.
>>
Doom: The Board Game Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YkKzjbGdM
>>
>get an email today notifying that Cave Evil: Warcults is about to be shipped

I'm skeptical it'll move across the Pacific before Christmas but a man can dream
>>
How do I convince someone to play Twilight Struggle with me for the first time if they're not autistic?
>>
What's the general opinion of the new Arkham Horror card game?
>>
>>50699339
Replace T&R with the better Mayday version don't strike it completely
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-26-15-14-22.png (1MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-26-15-14-22.png
1MB, 1280x768px
>>50669664
No. No you are not done with Ascension.
Do your homework and get back to us.
B-, you fail.
>>
>>50692523
Strike off Inis and Scythe.
Too many older must haves to warrant cult of the new.

>>50693685
>striking of Hex
>you monster
>>
>>50701435
B- is still a passing grade
>inb4 meme asian parents
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-08-11-09-31.png (2MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-08-11-09-31.png
2MB, 1280x768px
>>50702533
Shit, you are right, better kick it up a notch. Turn those B's into D's at best.
>>
>>50700748
Me and a friend "finished" the last scenario campaign last night, it was great how we were like the more pulpy Lovecraftian works during the first half and spiraled quickly into the more traditional "we can't do anything anymore" during the second. Pretty fun, though the pre-made decks will probably feel random due to the 1-of cards.
>>
What are some good recommendations for 8 player board games and/or card games?
>>
>>50701478
Scythe is here to stay.
>>
>>50692523
Kill Quantum, Santorini, Pandemonium, and Terraformars.
Replace that FFG Tigris and Euphrates with Mayday's, it has better component quality and isn't made by the most cancerous company in board gaming.
>>
>>50704057
What's the game length you're looking for? If that's a non-issue, Mega Civilization, Duel of Ages II, Zimby Mojo, Shadows of Malice and Cosmic Encounter w/expacs

Otherwise look into lighter and party games such as Codenames, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Love Letter Premium, Sushi Go! Party and 7 Wonders w/expacs
>>
>>50704057
Playing two four player games

Secret Hitler, Captain Sonar
>>
>>50704610
Mega Civilization looks good. Any idea where I can find it for less than$600?
>>
>>50704670
P&P
>>
>>50704676
P&P? Google isn't giving my anything useful for that search.
>>
>>50704717
Print and play.
>>
>>50704786
I'm not seeing it for sale on there.
>>
>>50705116
Try to find scans of all relevant information online and print it out.
>>
>>50704670

Funagain has it new for ~$250USD, and a dinged up copy for a bit less.
>>
>>50704057
Captain Sonar is special made for 8 players. It's intimidating but just keep assuring people it's not as hard as it seems. Bang: The Dice Game and Spyfall are great quick games to involve everyone in. Cash n Guns with the teams expansion works surprisingly well.

All those are fairly light.
>>
>>50705187
Ah, okay thanks. Managed to find a store that still has it in stock and isn't scalping it.

>>50705372
Thanks for the heads up anon.
>>
>>50705401
Thanks I'll check them out. Nice to get a recommendation for a coop game too, I'll definitely look into Captain Sonar.
>>
>>50705453
Looks like I miss read the Captain Sonar description. It's actually no a coop game but still looks interesting.
>>
>>50700319
>>
>>50705483
Buy them lunch.
>>
Question about the demo in the TS rules here (http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TSRules2nd.pdf): they perform some realignment rolls in France/Germany when the DEFCON status is less than 5. But I thought this wasn't allowed. Which is right?
>>
>>50706410
France and Germany are ME, not Europe.
>>
>>50706410
Coups and realignment are kind of confusing. Depending on DEFCON status, you won't be allowed to perform coup attempts in some continents, but realignment is not affected by this rule. You can perform realignments anywhere at any time and DEFCON status won't degrade.
Realignment has a much worse chance to actually swing control of a country than a coup.
>>
>>50706539
>Depending on DEFCON status, you won't be allowed to perform coup attempts in some continents, but realignment is not affected by this rule. You can perform realignments anywhere at any time and DEFCON status won't degrade.
The rules specifically state that realignment is not allowed in Europe when DEFCON is lower than 5.
>>
>>50706485
That just makes no sense. Or is this a current news joke?
>>
>>50706594
Correct
>>
>>50706609
So the rules just made a mistake in their simulation?
>>
>>50706552
right you are, my mistake
>>
>>50701088
Be prepared that the Mayday might include some fuckery.

>At a con, decide to buy T&E
>Then, decide to play it
>Turns out all the cubes of one colour is missing
>Return it, get another one
>Cubes of another colour are missing

Thankfully the store owners allowed me to just combine the components to get a full game, but Mayday is always a gamble
>>
>>50706632
>So the rules just made a mistake in their simulation?
It happens, even for GMT.
>>
File: Uncle_Death.jpg (69KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Uncle_Death.jpg
69KB, 400x400px
>>50692523
Roll for the galaxy is one of the best games on there. Its got a ton of depth, especially the expansion and is also a great entry level into mid-heavy weight euros for new players.

It's better than 3/4 of your list in my opinion, but it depends on what you want i guess.

Also you've got a lot of games on there that are too similar to own both, like scythe and tera mystica
>>
>>50686882
Abbadon is OK, It's less good than Memoir but it's solid.

Very barebones though, basically no terrain or interesting scenario rules.
>>
rahdo Terraforming Mars Gameplay Runthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwUsoeu6vfU
>>
>>50707432
Huh, I thought he said he wouldn't do that because it's "way too mean".
>>
File: CycVsKem.jpg (129KB, 1280x419px) Image search: [Google]
CycVsKem.jpg
129KB, 1280x419px
Yo guys, I dunno if this was asked before but which do you think is better and why?

Also which one holds better as a stand alone game without expansions.
>>
>>50707684
> Both
Kingmaking scenarios/politics
Similar theme (gods fighting
Dudes on a map/area control
> Kemet
Upgrades are really cool
Really
No really it's the best feature ever.
Kemet feels more tight - it's viscous starting from turn 1 (or two if you're my group) and never slows down. The last turn is usually an epic crescendo.
More fighting oriented. You gain points for winning battles after all!
AP based... but doesn't feel much like it.
> Cyclades
Feels less cool.
Auction oriented and sometimes it really shows.
More area control than fighting oriented
Slower. Smetimes it feels that a whole turn in Cyclades is really "half a turn" because you can't make meaningful decisions in that time. E.g you need both Poseidon and Ares to attack someone. For me it spoils the pacing for the game.
Tends to have scenarios where someone will surely win and there's nothing anyone else may do to stop it (e.g has more money and get a winning action + block everyone else from interfering)

> Expansions
Only got expansion to Kemet recently, haven't played Cyclades with the expansions. I heard that Cyclades is much better with Titans expansion. Kemet definitely stands well on its own.
>>
>>50707800
Thanks mate, I also wanted to point out I have Rex still unopened, sounds like it resembles Cyclades more than Kemet with the bidding phase and less combat focus.

Does it feel similar to Cyclades? would you say someone who likes Rex will also like Kemet or Cyclades?

I want something thats less demanding than Rex (need 6 players and is a bit complex), Kemet does sound more tempting tho, since its mostly battle and doesn't drag on.
>>
>>50708385
I haven't played Rex so this is only going by word alone.

While Kemet has politics (mostly in the form "well X is winning let's kick him in the dick) it isn't focused on politics like Rex is. The alliances you make are mostly informal temporary one-at-a-time deals.

The same also applies to Cyclades.

It's hard for me to say if someone who likes Rex will like Cyclades/Kemet. If you like Rex for the win conditions and politicking - then no.

Get Kemet if you want a beer-and-pretzels strategy. Kemet is the closes you're going to get to the feeling of playing a turn based vida game with friends.

Cyclades is less dynamic and more Euro'y but the same principle applies.
>>
>>50701478
Neuroshima Hex is better as an app
>>
>>50708616
Kemet, absolutely.
>>
Do you guys use card protector sleeves on the cards for your board games? Do you use them on the cheaper ones as well as the more expensive ones? Which sleeves do you use? Are there any advantages to using the red ones over the completely clear ones?
>>
>>50710289
Ofc course anon. Like any magic player knows you have to wrap it before you tap it.
>>
>>50710372
For all of them? Even the cheap games like say Coup, Welcome to the Dungeon or Kenjin? Are there sleeves for cards that are a bit small than the standard card size?
>>
>>50710372
Any recommendations on bards of card sleeves?
>>
i am looking through second hand games in my lgs to see if they are complete for 5 euro a hour, while i look for a job.

i build up 80 euro of store credit. what are the current must haves?
>>
>>50710441
I usually make some kind of judgment; for cheap games, if they get played when we're drunk, always sleeves. Expensive games, allways.

for games that only get the occassional play, and they aren't the ones that get pulled out at parties, I go sleeveless

Oh, and sleeves come in all sizes
>>
>>50710565
>>50710441

Yeah I have my copy of Welcome to the Dungeon sleeved. It's a cost benefit analysis.

Personally I don't like to damage anything I own so I take care of the games.

FFG sleeves seem to hold up best from the ones I bought. But they also sometimes have solid 5mm of spare space which pisses me off.

Mayday sleeves are the cheapest but seem to break quickly from normal use.
>>
>>50710565
brands* Also are there any card sleeves that seal water tight so some spilled beer won't ruin them?

>>50710762
>>50710773
Thanks, Any tips for getting some nicks out of the edges of some cards I've shuffled without sleeves? The mayday sleeves seem to come in a nice range of sizes so you can get the right size for your card, are there any higher quality sleeves that come in as wide of a selection?

Also, is it just me or are some cards extremely fragile? My munchkin cards seem to get damaged from even the lightest shuffling while on the other hand my cheap bicycle playing cards are practically built like tanks compared to the munchkin cards.
>>
>>50710289
Never. I hate shuffling sleeved cards and some game boxes don't allow for the extra thickness. I might make an exception for CitOW now that it's out of print, but in general I'll be happy to just buy another copy of a game if I wear it down to the point where it's unplayable.

I do have a soft no-food policy in place regarding my games though, so that helps.
>>
>>50710817
What is CitOW?
>>
>>50710831
Chaos in the old world
>>
>>50710831
Chaos in the Old World.
>>
>>50671818
>TDT
They're so fucking cringy
>>
>>50710846
>>50710850
Thanks anons.
>>
>>50710815
Playing cards seem to be plastic or half plastic while board game cards seem to be paper.

I'm not a material scientist

> Any tips for getting some nicks out of the edges of some cards I've shuffled without sleeves?

Don't know of any, sorry.
>>
>>50710817
>I hate shuffling sleeved cards and some game boxes don't allow for the extra thickness.
I prefer shuffling sleeved vs unsleeved myself, since mash shuffling is a lot easier with sleeves. Boxes that don't account for sleeves definitely make me sad though, I still haven't thrown out the Arboretum and Archaeology: the New Expedition inserts that no longer fit in their boxes. Maybe I'll repurpose them for something.
>>
>>50710881
Is there a reason the board game cards wouldn't be plastic if it makes them more durable?
>>
>>50710881
>>50710892
Could laminating cards work as a good alternative to sleeves? It would be completely water proof them.
>>
>>50710963
There's a pretty decent amount of extra space that the laminate sheets use to stick together, which could be annoying. Plus I don't know if all cards use pure cardboard or are mixed with something that could shrivel up while laminating. Besides those two, it's probably fine I guess, wouldn't try it myself.
>>
>>50711011
I'll probably just stick to sleeves then. Are there any completely water proof brands?
>>
>>50710953
The same reason minis are made out of plastic not tin. Manufacturing costs. A good pack of plastic cards can cost 1/3 of a board game around here.
>>50711046
Not that I know of
>>
>>50711068
They're like $7 here. Are most board game cards as easily damaged as the munchkin ones?
>>
>>50710857
Not a tenth as cringey as Wheaton and his meme crew.
>>
>>50711110
Yes

I was talking about cards like:
https://www.amazon.de/Kunststoff-Fahrrad-Prestige-Dura-Flex-Spielkarten/dp/B001RLP862/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481825577&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=bicycle+plastic+playing+cards
>>
>>50710857
Really? I can see a lot of criticism for them but they seem way too dry to be cringy. You usually need someone trying to be funny or over the top to rely reach a cringe factor.
>>
>>50711182
I hate board game reviewers
>>
>>50711249
I got into this hobby 2 years ago and woulda had no clue what to get without them. Reviewers actually gave me a good idea of what I liked in games mechanically and what to be on the look out for in terms of what flaws I find acceptable. Compare that to Wheaton who half heartedly plays a game while having wacky celebrity dialog. I'd rather have a reviewer than the boardgame equivalent of a lets play.
>>
>>50711182
He died his hair blue in the latest season, which basically sums up TT.
>>
>>50711011
>Besides those two, it's probably fine I guess, wouldn't try it myself.
Or, try it on playing cards first.
>>
>>50711249
>>50711382
SUSD and ATGYLAB offer actual critique of the games they play instead of "here are the rules, I (didn't) like this game because it's (not) my jam."
ATGYLAB is especially great because he'll fucking crucify games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE&t=10s
>>
>>50711566
>Plus I don't know if all cards use pure cardboard or are mixed with something that could shrivel up while laminating.
>>
>>50711606
I like ATGYLAB analysis.
I dislike everything else about the guy.

That said I see potential in him when he finally stops with the lolsorandum jokes
>>
>>50711691
I didn't see any randomness to the jokes, in that video at least. They all seemed to relate to the issues at hand.
>>
>>50711249
Why?
>>
>>50711606
TDT is generally full of overly positive people and I know they're not without their flaws, but that's a hyperbole. They do analyze a game and point out what makes a game good or bad. They do it in broader strokes, but ATGYLAB is too laser focused. He sees a mechanic he doesn't like and goes on for a long time in pain staking detail saying he hates that as an objective fact. Not only would that be extremely meaningless dribble to someone not 5 years deep in board game history, his smugness as much as he tries to pass it off as comedy, is just smugness.
>>
>>50712006
>They do analyze a game and point out what makes a game good or bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQyDzI4rTvs
>i like the components
>i like the assymetry
>>
File: Lisboa fags on suicide watch.png (445KB, 511x771px) Image search: [Google]
Lisboa fags on suicide watch.png
445KB, 511x771px
>>50665738
>>
>>50712074
Never played Cry Havoc, but from his final thoughts, I got:
>Variety in each play in terms of objectives
>Interesting decisions to how to resolve a battle with a unique system that doesn't slow the game down
>Factions asymmetry appeals to many play styles

Compare that to the ridiculous over analysis like:
>1/15th of my actions for the game involved the initial movement and 2 of my four starting cards

I get it, some people want that microscope and it does give you more info on the opinions of some individual mechanics, but he also gets that Yahtzee effect of being ridiculously overly caught up in the microscope and it's the worst thing ever from that point on. I'm just not like that and don't enjoy the company of people who are. I can zero in and analyze a few clunks to say Millennium Blades, but in the grander scale I still love the game for a great many reasons. My friends and I tend to enjoy games on a much much less technical level than that. One clunk doesn't tend to ruin the machine and often won't even be thought about and moved past very quickly. I've had a decent amount of loved games in my collection being told "Are objectively just terrible!" because of really small stuff that doesn't even phase us and I get it, this is the reviewer for them. I have my problems with how positive Tom is and temper my expectations/get second opinions, but I'd rather see the bigger broader picture of what the game offers and how well it does those things than get a 100x zoom on small things and be told everything was ruined because of this pixel right here.
>>
>>50713551
If you ever actually played Cry Havoc you would agree whole-heartedly with ATGYLAB.
>>
>>50713551
>>Variety in each play in terms of objectives
The objective is always "take dirt and hold it." Land is always worth more than combat, and each territory is always worth roughly the same (1-2 for the outskirts, 3-4 for central provinces, 5 for the centermost one, iirc).
>>Interesting decisions to how to resolve a battle with a unique system that doesn't slow the game down
The game massively disincentivizes combat in favor of the threat of combat, or curbstomps.
>>Factions asymmetry appeals to many play styles
All factions play like Eurogames. The green dudes don't like spreading out much like Vasel says because the recruit restrictions enforced by the number of minis means that they can't get any value from the nests is they spread out in droves and are absurdly easy to snipe if they spread out evenly enough that they have reserves to use. The robots don't like KILL ALL HUMANS like Vasel says because the cards which have wrenches on them are limited enough that they can't build buildings and activate them efficiently enough to justify the enormous cost of doing so. Humans do play as Vasel says because they have ridiculous buffs and need a nerf: they are the only faction that can skip over territories for free, get automatic costless buffs to combat, etc.
If you're not playing humans, you're slowly metastasizing and using a few well-placed buildings to snipe weaknesses, and if you're humans, you're doing the exact same thing a little more quickly.

Vasel played a pre-Gencon build of the game. Maybe it was different, as the hobbit on ATGYLAB seems to be implying, but in it's current build it's a Eurogame disguised as a dudes on the map and excels at neither.
>>
>>50713775
I mostly agree with this, but I'm going to try messing with card availability, see if there's a simple fix to be found somewhere. Maybe start with +1 draw from your own deck before each action.
>>
>>50713869
I was thinking of doing this but the component quality isn't good enough for me to consider it worthy of houseruling rather than just selling it and playing something else. If you can make it a good card-driven dudes-on-a-map, why not play CitOW again, or one of Petersen's clones of it?
>>
>>50713913
I should elaborate, I think the amount of work to make CH closer to what you or I would consider a good game is simply too much for anything which isn't either a mountains-of-plastic game like Dark Souls, Kingdom Death, Gods Wars, or Cthulhu Wars, or making one's own game.
>>
>>50713913
>>50713927
I'm with you, if messing with some basic rules to increase the average value of actions doesn't make the game significantly more aggressive I'll probably move on pretty quickly.
>>
>>50713594
Maybe I would, can't really say. That's an argument of whose opinion is right which isn't my point. TDT and ATGYLAB have very similar opinions on Mechs vs Minions and everything I said stands true there. TDT told me why they enjoyed it in broader strokes of what the game does well and what kinda game it is and what unique stuff it does. ATGYLAB took 7 minutes to even tell me what kinda game it is and went on and on about small features and how they compare to every other game on the market by name and how it cures clunk we never even cared about while barely talking about what made the game fun or how it played as a whole. I'd have no clue what to make of it if that was my only point of reference and hadn't played it myself.
>>
>>50714141
>how it cures clunk we never even cared about
If you don't care about clunk I don't think you belong here.
>>
File: 1479992118639.jpg (37KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1479992118639.jpg
37KB, 500x376px
What's the best One night? I'm thinking about daybrake or the vampires, but they both look great. which one is better?
>>
>>50714351
I like revolution best, but it's also the hardest to teach.
>>
>>50714223
Clunk is almost always a small thing. It's clunk that in Mansions of Madness I have to do a buncha setup when a new room is revealed looking through tiles and grabbing tokens. I could make a half hour video overblowing how I hate that setup and how it ruins Mansions of Madness and how no one could possibly like this game having to go through setup each room. In that bigger picture though I love a great many things about the game and can get past that small thing for what it adds. Maybe I just don't know Cry Havoc well and it's a universally hated game by everyone but Tom, but that's what the whole 5 minute rant about the opening movement seemed like. A tiny bump of the interesting mechanics of multi purpose cards.
>>
>>50710289
>>50710565
definitely, >>50710372 is spot on as years of playing MTG has made me autistic about sleeving everything. I use MTL from eBay for most games

http://www.ebay.com/usr/makethemlast

and KMC Hyper Mattes for deckbuilders/TCGs, you can buy them in bulk for pretty cheap at AmiAmi

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_cate5=1229&page=&pagemax=40

for the more esoteric card sizes I use Swan PanAsia but I would prefer not to as their quality is trash

>>50711046
your best hope is double sleeving which is only realistically possible with TCG-sized sleeves and whatever size Yugioh uses for cards, which I think is American?

>>50710817
I only find the box size an issue for small boxes like Sellswords and Hanabi, otherwise I just take out the insert since 95% of them are terrible
>>
>>50715164
>>50710372

You mothafuckas better laugh at my "wrap it before you tap it pun" pretty soon now.
>>
>>50714351
Original One night and Daybreak is pretty much spot on. I have all three One Nights and Vamprie and I find myself using roles from those two sets almost exclusively.

Vampire is neat, but for what in my mind is supposed to be a very quick, pickup social game it adds unnecessary steps and roles with the rules of switching Marks and Roles and the fact that more moving around can make for more accidental and "accidental" reveals during the night.
>>
>>50715901

Awesome, might just grab daybrake then because i already have the normal one night.
>>
>>50710289
At some point I bought sleeves for several of my games but haven't bothered since. There are only a few games that really need it (Twilight Struggle, Love Letter, Mascarade, Werewolf and its variants)
>>50710441
My welcome to the dungeon is sleeved because I have just enough sleeves floating around for small games. I don't mind that the player aids are a different thickness than the dungeon deck
>>50710731
Buy food anon, not games
>>
>>50716325
>EU
He basically doesn't need to pay for food.
>>
>>50711411
I'm suddenly glad Tabletop's gone behind a paywall. Last I saw he had become more beard than man.
>>
>>50711382
A defining moment was on Five Tribes where he insisted on calling the slaves "assistants" and Richard Garriott just kept calling them slaves anyway. Wil's salt was rising through the ep.
>>
>>50718317
Wait wait wait wait
That Garriott? Lord British?
>>
>>50711382
>wacky
you mean cringey
>>
>>50718351
Lord Goddamn Britain was on there, yeah. I can just imagine Wil holding his tongue, wanting to say something to counter.. but it's Lord Britain.

That said, slave or "assistant", the player's still sacrificing a dude to do cool stuff and get points. Also, do apparent problems using assassins to kill dudes for points and profit.

I don't know, I kinda like WB's take on Problematic stuff when re-releasing their old cartoons: To just ignore stuff from that period and theme is basically saying that it never happened at all and everything was fine.
>>
>>50718442
*no apparent problems with assassin's, even. Dang typos
>>
>>50718442
>WB
?
>>
>>50718765
Warner Bros. They won't apologize for having made cartoons that would be offensive by today's standards.
>>
>>50718254
>behind a paywall
What does that mean? It's pay to watch now?
>>
>>50719196
Yeah, it's on YouTube Red now.
>>
>>50719231
Who the fuck would pay to watch that shit?
>>
>>50719231
>>50719196

They do the YouTube Red thing? Thought it was the Alpha streaming channel they've been trying to push for a while.
>>
>>50718254
I've only ever seen one episode of Tabletop where they played X-Wing and got nearly every rule wrong. Is that a common thing on that show?
>>
>>50719776
Whatever it is, I won't be spending a penny split in half to see these bozos
>>
>>50719776
https://twitter.com/thattolleyguy/status/809523925973483520
>>
>>50712248
Is the Kickstarter the cheapest these games actually get, or is that just a bluff to get more backers?
>>
>>50719886
Yes. Wil Wheaton even sperged out on his blog after season 3 basically chewing out a "certain unnamed producer" whose sole job it was to make sure the rules were done right, and basically failed every episode.

It was funny because it showed Wil was a dick who didn't even know the games he was playing.
>>
>>50707684

Cyclades always has a really anticlimactic ending. The moment someone gets the second metropolis the immediately ends. It is so disappointing that I still think I am playing something wrong but, can't find any confirmation.

I guess I am just used to games that have end game conditions and let you finish a round.

>>50708385

The only thing Rex has in common with the other two is territory control with military.

Rex is about minds games and politics. The asymmetric factions changes how the game plays based on the number of players.

Cyclades is truely, mainly about the auctions. Making sure the other players don't pay to little and still trying to make sure you get something useful.
>>
>>50720196
my faith in humanity is almost depleted
>>
>>50720367

These games? Kickstarters, board games, or this game?
>>
>>50720367
Kickstarter for boardgames has effectively become a preorder system. Except you're more likely to get a refund from a real pre-order system.

But hey, at least it taught board game developers how to market and hype untested products.
>>
>>50720399
I just read that post for shits and giggles. It sums down to:
>I don't know how to play these games
>I need somebody to tell me how to play these games
>I can't read the rules myself and I can't be taught how to play a game
>abloobloo I'm very angry
>>
>>50720534
>I don't know how to play these games
>I need somebody to tell me how to play these games
>I can't read the rules myself and I can't be taught how to play a game
Maybe he shouldn't try to host a fucking boardgame show
>>
>>50720606
Reading rulebooks probably invalidates his safe space so he gets someone else to do it.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (96KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
96KB, 1280x720px
>Marry, Fuck, Kill
Who do you choose?
>>
>>50720623
kek
>>
>>50720496
>>50720522
Yeah I meant Kickstarters for board games. Thanks.
>>
>>50720661
>kill
Myself
>>
>>50713775

I would say the game heavily disincentives using the recruit action. The troops are placed at the HQ and that is it. You then have to spend a move action to do anything with them. Except for Pilgrims that have skills and in combat buildings that let them move troops around easier. Because of this, anything that lets you get troops outside of using a recruit action is very valuable.

Trogs (Green)

They only get half points for crystals. They are large in numbers and all over the map. They can take a huge lead in the first round of the game by running around, activating the war parties, and scoring for territory control.

Humans (Yellow)

Default skill is to be able to score for territory by sacrificing a card. They are about exerting influence using minimal troops.

I am not sure what the ridiculous buffs and costless buffs an combat are.

Pilgrims (Blue)

Can just turtle and generate points. They are about controlling and using the crystals.

Machines (Red)

Are about combat. Most of their buildings and skills involved it. Yes, the amount of wrenches does make weaker in beginning of the game.
>>
>>50720694

From what I have seen the one you mention is really on the cheaper side for everything they are throwing in. There are many base games that cost more then this kickstarter is asking for everything.

If you want to see ridiculous look at Cthulhu Wars and particularly Kingdom Death.
>>
File: GameBoard-IT.jpg (38KB, 480x264px) Image search: [Google]
GameBoard-IT.jpg
38KB, 480x264px
>>50720196
Hrm, I heard Wil wasn't too thrilled about the whole Alpha paywall thing. On one hand Geek & Sundry's been trying to get away from Youtube's stuff in a while, much like other streamers. On the other, their own streaming efforts tend to be butt.

Of course, all these shows pale before the glory of GAMEBOARD
>>
>>50720853
If you look at component quality and quantity the KD KS is almost at-cost.
>>
>>50716325
i have food.

i get 800 euro each month till i get a job (or if i dont apply often enough i get a huge cut)
i am just working there whenever i want for fun, in fact the first time he asked people to come on a saturday i didnt even know we would get paid)

also its store credit not real money. and its pretty fun to look through all these old and sometimes ancient games.

when i first opened this i was like. wuuuut
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/828/wizards
>>
How does Bang!: thr Dice Game compare to Bang! 4th edition? Is the walking dead variant of the card game any good?
>>
File: 1436855844010.jpg (769KB, 2444x1631px) Image search: [Google]
1436855844010.jpg
769KB, 2444x1631px
Can anybody redpill me on Mage Wars?

I see Mage Wars, Arena and Academy. All of them have their own expansions. Are these separate systems, or different editions? How compatible are their respective expansions with each of the different versions?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>50723306
Mage Wars Arena is just the old Mage Wars under a new name. Mage Wars Academy is a simpler version you play without a board so many cards aren't compatible with the big Arena version.

I bought Mage Wars before the Arena version and I also have two expansions and while the game does many things well, it's simply too heavy and rules-burdened for what it is. There are so many small rules and exceptions that even after 30 plays we still had to consult the rulebook a couple times each game because you easily forget some of the not so common or important stuff. It feels overloaded and after a while playing felt like a burden to us. Also, make sure you have somebody who is willing to learn the rules and play this with you many times. You need to be dedicated to get anything out of the game. You both have to dig in deep and learn all the cards and think about deck compositions and tactics and combos and all that. If you are not willing to commit you shouldn't get it. It's a lot of time and effort for what ends up being a somewhat enjoyable skirmish game and that's no longer good enough for me. My last couple plays felt more like a chore where we forced ourselves to play it because we felt like otherwise it would be wasting money.
I can't say anything regarding the Academy version as I have never played it.
>>
>>50723371
Correction: Academy cards work in Arena but the other way around depends on the card because Arena creatures obviously deal with movement which is not a factor in Academy since there's no board.
>>
>>50723009
I like the dice game more, as do most. Bang the card game is just too long for a hidden role game. Equipment is just too convoluted for how many people you generally want involved and player elimination is painful. With the dice game I like the yahtzee mechanic and it takes a third the time to play it.
>>
How do you go about teaching brain dead retards complex games?

I need to teach my friends, who can't keep up with the rules of Resistance- Avalon how to play shit like Rex and Cosmic, when the latter isn't that complex.
>>
>>50715164
5 star post Anon. Thanks for the links. I tend to sleeve a lot of my stuff. Games like Core World that are 95% cards in particular.
>>
>>50724476
Teaching is a skill you learn and practice. I'm oddly good at it for how much of an idiot I am but I can't quite explain it well. What I do is teach enough to get going and take your first turn then answer little questions as we go. Like don't teach them what every phase in Cosmic is so much as teach them what to do every turn. The flow of the game is important, demonstrate what's involved in a turn and give assistance to others on their turn for the first round, don't just read an instruction manual to them. It also helps if you take out all red aliens for their first game, maybe the yellow too if you're really afraid.
>>
>>50720661
Marry Tom
Fuck Zee
Kill Sam
>>
>>50707515
I don't get why people like rahdo. He seems like a huge pussy with his hate for 'confrontational' games, rambles on forever and constantly gets rules wrong. If I'm researching a possible buy, I might look at his 'final thoughts', but there's no way I can listen to him hem and haw his way through a full play through. Someone tell me why this guy is so popular?!
>>
>>50726384
Genuine honest enthusiasm goes a long ways with people.
But yeah, I share your complaints.
>>
>>50724623
This. Although some people will always be helpless morons when it comes to learning a game ("Wait, can you repeat that? I wasn't listening the past 5 minutes.") there's a careful balance required. I knew someone who would literally go through the most arcane special cases when explaining the rules to make sure people learned "every detail" before gameplay even started. He would run through every possible scenario and explain the nitty-gritty tie-breaking possibilities before even finishing how the general game worked. This made his rule explanations last well over 15 minutes, which just doesn't work for a 45 minute game.

Always start playing ASAP. That has to be your goal when explaining rules: to start playing right away. I also like to play a round or two and then continue with more specialized rules/protocols for end of game scoring/etc.
>>
>>50724476
If they actually want to play, just go slow and ask every 10 minutes if they have any questions. If they don't even want to play, don't bother
>>
>>50726384
Final thoughts is the least useful part of his videos unless you are also "forever 2 player"

I used to watch him a lot but he at some point stopped making videos about games I'm interested in and almost exclusively makes kickstarter game videos now

But thanks for reminding me I need to see his video for Vinhos this weekend
>>
>>50726712
>but he at some point stopped making videos about games I'm interested in and almost exclusively makes kickstarter game videos now

This is why I stopped watching him. He's basically a kickstarter ad now.
>>
>>50726384
>Rahdo
>a huge pussy

Go meet Rahdo at a convention, siddle over to him, lean in and in a respectful tone say "Pandemic a shit".
>>
File: Rahdo Knows.jpg (132KB, 1203x268px) Image search: [Google]
Rahdo Knows.jpg
132KB, 1203x268px
>>50727478
Pic related...
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.