[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOARD GAMES GENERAL: Santa Is Coming Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 31

File: oie_TNfl3XLAMYs2.jpg (150KB, 1229x691px) Image search: [Google]
oie_TNfl3XLAMYs2.jpg
150KB, 1229x691px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
>>50432854

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Santa Is Coming Edition
Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?

How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?

What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?

Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
>>
I have a lack of and desire for some simpler games, maybe some party games.

Any suggestions?

A couple i have in mind are once upon a time and loomy quest

Any experience with these?
>>
A friend of mine is looking for a Game of Thrones-themed game for her boyfriend.
I have already talked her out of getting the GoT editions of Monopoly and Risk, but since I'm not a GoT fan myself, I don't know which games I can recommend instead.

What might be a good pick?
>>
>>50479951
There's GoT the board game by FFG. Also a card game I think.
>>
>>50479973
I know what's there. I want to know what's good.
>>
File: griffon mythic battles.jpg (752KB, 2124x2380px) Image search: [Google]
griffon mythic battles.jpg
752KB, 2124x2380px
New stretch goal revealed
>>
So, who backed Mythic battles?
>>
>>50480011
The GoT game from FFG is an Ok-ish Diplomacy clone. Some people swear by it.

I could never get over the fact that the factions are so asymmetric... yet so constrained to their roles. Lannisters must always try to treaty their way in the beginning of the game, the Grayjoys can be shafted by events in the beginning. Starks expand to the north...

The game is very static at later stages when the seas are occupied. Once someone has their entire flotilla out there's no way to break that.

I may be discouraging you from the game but this is only my opinion, I played less then 10 games and I know people do seem to love this game.

Check out the rules introduction here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0XRVTacNxI
>>
>>50480062
I did. With $498...
Part of my Christmas bonus is already gone. Hopefully it's worth it. Wasn't that hyped for something in a long time.
>>
>>50480062
i kind of wanted to but i am going for KD and i dont feel like getting just the core game when all expansions have kickstarter exclusives.
>>
>>50480062
The core game should hold decent resale value,
the all in pack is too expensive for too little exclusive/resale value.
I might even drop it before 8pm tonight.
unlike conan not a lot people will be willing to pay for kickstarter content. ickstarter has a big spotlight now unlike 3years ago when monolith funded conan so all the people interested in the game will already have preordered it.
>>
>>50480241
Eh, there will be enough people who will only find out about the game after it's hit retail.
>>
>>50480062
I backed at $99
None of the add ons had compelling enough exclusives (or were compelling enough as exclusives themselves) for me to not just wait until retail to get them if I get them at all.
>>
People pay over $400 on ebay for the collectors edition of scythe because the box is numbered when you can get everything in it for well under $200. Some people are obsessed with the FOMO but you don't need to throw in a bunch of exclusives to trick people into buying your product if the game is good enough to sell on its own merits.

I keep seeing people saying that these huge miniature kickstarters are such a good deal because of all of the plastic in them but are you really going to use those Greek people in different poses miniatures in your D&D campaign if the game sucks? Are you going to display the cheap plastic pieces in a glass display cabinet like some sort of grognard?

The most expensive game I own is Food Chain Magnate that I've slowly upgraded the components of and based on this criteria, it's a terrible "value" but it's one of my very favorite games, I've played it tons and it costs what it costs to get that experience.

Not many people would (or did) buy mythic battles if it was cardboard standees, and I doubt a single person in this thread would buy a big bag of the Greek minis as toys. Its mainly this gee-whiz feeling from getting "so much stuff" that's, along with GW artificially inflating the perceived value of cheap plastic toys, driving the kickstarter.
>>
>>50479515
Loony Quest is good fun for just about anyone for a one-shot, but I don't see much attraction to it past the novelty factor. I don't know how much it costs, but I don't think I would recommend a buy unless you have lots of different people to show it to and/or children who would likely enjoy replaying it.
>>
>>50480062
99$ cuz a poorfag
>>
>>50479951
Like anon said, aGoT: The Game is a reasonably good game - but it has some problems, and I'm convinced that Rex is straight-up better for doing nearly exactly the same things. But Rex isn't flavored for A Song of Edge and Tits, so probably not what you're looking for.

The aGoT reflavor of Cosmic Encounter, I think they're calling it The Iron Throne, is liable to be a decent negotiation game, might look into that when it releases. Oh shit, it's released. Yeah, maybe get that.
>>
>https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dwarf-war-first-contact-3d#/
What the fuck, any thoughts on this? The Intro video is hilarious imo.
>>
File: dorfwor.png (373KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
dorfwor.png
373KB, 620x387px
>>50482757
forgot pic
>>
>people backing Mythic Battles: Pantheon and not Kingdom Death: Monster
>>
>>50482805
>backing either, or any other game that's 15x as expensive as it needs to be because muh three million models
>>
So I own and enjoy Chaos in the Old World, and I'm curious to pick up another deep Dudes-On-A-Map. I'm curious about how much conflict there is in Kemet and Blood Rage, and how long they actually also take to play. I like the idea of the variable player power selection, as it's something I enjoy from CitOW as well.
Also, how strong/important is the card drafting in Blood Rage? It's a mechanic I enjoy from 7 Wonders and other games as well.
>>
>>50482845
kingdom deaths main cost doesnt even lie in the models
>>
>>50482845
KD:M models are high quality though. Thank god I don't like the aesthetics at all. I would back it if it had wooden pieces though.
>>
>>50482866
There is only conflict in Kemet. You literally get VPs from attacking and winning (or holding positions via entire turn).

The game starts symmetric but as different people get different upgrades everybody will vary.
>>
>>50482866
Blood Rage is a point salad with a draft that's themed as a dudes on a map game. It's a good game and my big ding on it is the draft is used as a way to put balancing the cards onto the players and not as a clever or central gameplay mechanic. I wouldn't get it over kemet or Inis if you're looking for another dudes on a map game unless you really just like the thematics of conflict. Blood rage might be a good pickup anyway though as it's different enough and good enough to warrant its purchase. BR is also fairly light with its fiddlyness exceeding its depth but it's still not too bad in that regard.
>>
>>50480062
Wasn't sold on the system, so not me..

>>504809181724
>Are you going to display the cheap plastic pieces in a glass display cabinet like some sort of grognard?
STOP JUDGING ME!
>>
>>50482866
Scythe has a lot of hype for a dudes-on-a-map, seems to have the potential to become a classic, but despite the theme isn't as combat oriented as CitOW.
>>
>>50482866
I've never really timed our Blood Rage games but I'd say about three hours. It goes by fairly quickly though, if I compare it to Dogs of War for instance. I feel like I do more in those three hours in Blood Rage, possibly because there are more actions per phase and more mechanics and pieces involved.

It's definitely not all about fighting though, and that's something I like about it. You can make a ton of points by having your units die in the right place at the right time or just camping down in specific provinces to complete area control quests (most of my group typically ignores those quests early in drafting, except for one guy who dominates when he goes all in with them). Once you get a feel for the different upgrades, you have a good number of options as to how to orient your strategy.

The center province is also a huge magnet with its three stat upgrades instead of one that drives everyone to push for it early and whoever gets it to try to hold on to it the entire game. But wrestling it away from everyone else is so resource-intensive that it's not actually OP, it's just another objective you can choose to focus on at the detriment of other scoring opportunities.

I've probably played it about ten times now (I don't keep track) and I haven't bothered to put the expansions in play because it still feels different every time, depending on the monters that get put in play and the strategies each player goes for.
>>
>>50479951
Get your boy Battles of Westeros.
It's an AGoT retheme of Battlelore which is a reimplementation of Commands and Colors, a Richard Borg classic. It's a fucking great wargame.
>but anon, there's miniatures in it, that's not a wargame, it's an amerithrash plastic pusher
fite me fgt, this is as good as light wargames get
>>
>>50482866
>>50483644
I feel I didn't really address your core questions, actually. Regarding conflict, there's definitely a lot of interaction even though winning battles isn't the only to make points. The ability to join combat in an adjacent province with one unit ensures that no one can just pillage for free every time they put the first mini in an area and is part of what makes Yggdrasil so hard to pillage. It's smack in the center so every other player with a mini on the board (ships excepted of course) is liable to jump in and fuck you up if you're not well prepared. Some cards also let you steal action points or gain VPs when you lose fights, so you have that incentive to interact even if you're not competitive "militarily."

Card drafting is definitely crucial as you may have gathered from my area control quest anecdote. Each of the gods has a certain theme to it, so it's a good idea to stick to one or two types of upgrades and keep filling out your combo as the years come. There can be a lot of synergy between your unit upgrades and clan upgrades for instance, but you also want to grab some of the badass monsters before other players do because they can be game changers.

Your timing for playing cards is also important since you *have* to play a card in combat, and if you're unlucky you can end having to waste quests or upgrades in unwanted confrontations. That encourages you to pick a few of every type of card (quests/upgrades/combat bonuses).
>>
Anyone have any interesting thoughts on what FFG should do with the lost FFG properties?

Personally hoping for Fury of Richelieu.
>>
>>50483820
GW is gonna end up producing, re-licensing or selling FoD eventually. Having such a coveted IP in their portfolio, it's only good business sense.

...am I overestimating a company that's famous for shooting itself in the foot?
>>
>>50483643
It isn't dudes on map it engine building worker placement with area control bolted on
>>
>>50483820
More probably it will be Fury of Vader
>>
>>50483820
Holy shit stoob I didn't know how bad I wanted this. Fuck you.

>>50484035
And fuck you too.
>>
>>50483820
There was something about a Lord of the Rings hidden movement game a while back I think, where the "Dracula" is now the ring bearer.
>>
>>50484106
So the other players take Sauron and his forces, trying to get the Ring back and doom Middle Earth?
Don't see that happening, because even if it's a neat idea, that would be too grimdark for a LotR license.
>>
Is it me or is Zombicide really boring?
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon

15 minutes until the celebration stream starts. One hour until the campaign is over and then another hour of streaming and drinking and celebrating. With a surprise!

If you haven't pledged yet do it! It's worth it!
>>
>>50484106
Fury of Geralt of Rivia.

With hunters being monsters [spoilers]or assassins[/spoilers] .
>>
>>50484160
If I pledge will you stop shilling until the game is actually out?
God, the things I do for this general.
>>
>>50484181
I'm not a shill, I'm a fanboy. But fine... I'll restrain myself.
<3
>>
>>50484153
It looked pretty complete if I'm remembering it right, with some sort of mechanic for when they do catch up. Doesn't feel too out of place or grimdark honestly. Maybe I'll stumble on it again whenever and post a link then.
>>
>>50484153
Ever heard of Middle Earth Quest?
>>
File: Slack-for-iOS-Upload-5.jpg (2MB, 2611x1958px) Image search: [Google]
Slack-for-iOS-Upload-5.jpg
2MB, 2611x1958px
>>50479293
Today I bought this. Will unpack soon.
>>
>>50484997
Well done
>>
>>50483644
>about three hours
Holy moly, you had some serious AP problems somewhere. Played Blood Rage just this weekend. First game I played teaching the game and stopping to look up rules, took me 2 hours.
>>
File: 57324566.jpg (20KB, 607x122px) Image search: [Google]
57324566.jpg
20KB, 607x122px
>>50480062
>>
>>50484156
It's an entry level rpg-lite (losing the role playing, keeping the hackneyed, random combat system). What were you expecting?
>>
>>50485070
Drafting takes us a while. The rest is fairly smooth, and as I said, I'm just estimating.

Now Dogs of War, that brings out the AP in everyone in my group.
>>
>>50485219
What would the next logical step be? I'm thinking of Eldritch (or Arkham) Horror.
>>
>>50479293
>Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?
I know my parents are getting me the Missions expansion to Galaxy Trucker. We share an Amazon Prime so it's kinda hard to hide.
>How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
I want to play with my relatives but my plan to bring board games to thanksgiving failed miserably. I'll try again for Christmas, but we'll probably just end up playing You Don't Know Jack again, as much as I hate it.
>What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?
I want to get my family to play Codenames or Cash n Guns. I think they would have no problems understanding those 2. We'll see though. I don't understand the second part. Unless you have a special job, you're generally not working christmas already.
>>
>>50479293
>>50479293
I hate christmas with all my soul.

>giving or receiving a board game as a christmas gift?
A few years back I gave 3 friends each a copy of a custom hand-made 150 tile !Carcassonne. I spent over 120 hours on the project, doing research, cutting fiberboard squares, photoshopping images, printing, cutting, gluing and varnishing. One guy enjoyed the gift. The other 2 were "Oh hey, a boardgame. Thanks I guess?". So no, I won't be giving anyone hand-crafted shit or board games.

>gaming group during the holidays
What gaming group?

>what do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?
>this year
Yeah.

>awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
No family stories to share here, but once a friend's dad came in the middle of a DnD session to take him away and asked me to never talk to his son again because I was leading him into damnation. He also said that if I feared for my soul, I should burn my RPG books and surrender myself to god.
>>
File: 6537567.gif (3MB, 639x912px) Image search: [Google]
6537567.gif
3MB, 639x912px
>>50480062
They already teased the next Mythic Battles. Mythic Battles: Ragnarok. People assume they will release it in 2018.
>>
>>50486594
Yay.
So excited.
Can't wait.
This is totally not sarcasm.
>>
>>50486640
It's okay that you are not excited for it but you don't have to be a dick about it to the people who are.
>>
>>50486658
Dealing with morons a lot tends to shorten your patience when you come across them.
>>
File: 20161201_173723.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_173723.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Picked this up, haven't played it but heard it was good. Is it?
>>
>>50487081
Yes, but not as combat-heavy as a lot of people were hoping.
>>
>>50487081
>bought a 90$ game sight unseen
Brave.
>>
>>50487141
Doesn't it MSRP for $60?
>>
>>50487081
Takes a bit to get into, don't expect casual players to pick it up easily and don't show it around people that get offended by word gulag. Other than that it's golden.

>>50487104
Well, once you drop to 0 popularity you can keep rolling. You just won't have any to spend on Encounters (or production, but if you're going that way you're probably not prioritizing building up workers anyway).
>>
>>50487104
People were expecting combat? I thought they made it pretty clear from the start that fighting other players would be a waste of resources in most circumstances.
>>
>>50487274
Doesn't stop idiots from going
DIESELPUNK ROBOT BATTLE?
DIESELPINK ROBOT BATTLE!
>>
>>50487248
>and don't show it around people that get offended by word gulag
???
>>
>>50487081
Good pick.
>>
>>50486163
>A few years back I gave 3 friends each a copy of a custom hand-made 150 tile !Carcassonne. I spent over 120 hours on the project, doing research, cutting fiberboard squares, photoshopping images, printing, cutting, gluing and varnishing.
Sounds awesome, got any pics?
>>
>>50484997
In for a treat. Well done anon!
>>
File: 1387773310433.jpg (192KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1387773310433.jpg
192KB, 1181x1181px
>>50483865
>..am I overestimating a company that's famous for shooting itself in the foot?

No, no... I'd say you're vastly UNDER-ESTIMATING their ability to shoot themselves in both feet many many times. It's probably the primary reason firearms have largely been outlawed in the UK...
>>
File: War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg (810KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
War of the Ring SPI Map.jpg
810KB, 2048x1536px
>>50484153
>that would be too grimdark for a LotR license.

Are you stoned or just clueless? The very first LotR game licensed was SPI's classic "War of the Ring" which was the whole damn war with all of Sauron's and Saruman's forces trying to find / kill the Ring Bearer and company.
>>
>>50488039
I'll go with clueless. Maaaaaaybe a wee bit stoned.

Aaaanyhoo. A war where there's both sides fighting for terrain and objectives is well... a war. There's 2 sides, forces meet in battlefields, good vs evil, good has an infinitesimally small chance to prevail else the land is overrun by the evil forces of evilness and all that jazz.
So yeah, pretty grimdark overall. And it got licensed. Go figure.

Dunno, a game where there's a single ringbearer trying to evade Sauron's forces and sneak his way into Mordor to destroy the ring while being chased by Nazgûl seems a cool concept, but it's sorta darker IMO. Players trying to find and murder the good guy... Maybe it'd still get licensed, yeah, but I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable playing it as Sauron's forces... I'd root for the Hobbit, (he'd be paranoid as fuck) and maybe play suboptimally so he gets a break or something. But it's still be a cool game tho. I'm rambling now, and you're all breathing manually now. You're welcome.
>>
>>50488257
There's >>50484536 though, not sure where it is in the timeline, but 3 players will go around rallying up the Free Peoples(?) and the Sauron player is advancing plots while hunting them down with his lieutenants. One of the things that can happen is the hero can get captured and held in Mordor I think, and has to escape, while suffering relevant traumas. That's kind of dark?

I don't know, flipping the sides is a cool idea I think, and it's not like the ring bearer isn't without allies, which could make for some heroic instances. Maybe you just feel for the single guy getting chased down by 4 people, which I can kind of empathize wi-

>you're all breathing manually
I will cut your limbs and throw them into the volcano one by one.
>>
>>50484256
I wanna see a screencap of your pledge management page. No need for personal info, just settle once and for all that you're not attached to the project and have actually yourself pledged it
>>
>>50479293
>Giving a board game gift
I'm giving Onitama to a friend who made the mistake of buying me something without my permission
I also give one gift to my game group every year, specifically handed to a different friend each time. I was going to give Unusual Suspects (and slip in cards from this trash Target game I picked up called What the Face, which comes with a bunch of crack addict mugshots). Then today I remembered Mission Red Planet. I think that could be a better gift if I can get a good price
>Receiving
Maybe, but I'm not asking for any because I'd rather get practical items like socks, a travel backpack, a new phone
>Group during the holidays
A lot better than over the summer. Summer is the busy season for many of my friends and me, so we barely get to meet. Thankfully the meetup always has people.
A lot of out-of-town friends are around during the holidays which usually means lots of party games
>Relatives?
The only extended family I normally get to see actually plays hobby board games, though the only games we've played all together as a family is Liar's Dice or *gulp* LCR.
I played Las Vegas with just the cousins last week and it was great.
>Awkward family bg experience
I hate when my immediate family plays Cards Against Humanity. It's so shit
Also: trouncing my mom at Scrabble last summer. She got frustrated, which made me sad. She only tries games every once in a while and I wish she'd give a shot at one that's actually fun to play
>>
>>50480023
Why a griffon and not a hyppogriff?
Weren't griffons mostly a medieval thing?
>>
>>50485683
Zombicide to get used to shit combat and thoughtless dice chucking, Castle Ravenloft to get used to critical failure and randomness screwing you over completely. Then Eldritch Horror to ultimatedly kill your hopes and dreams of having any control over your life.
>>
What are the best games that create competing teams. 2v2, 3v3, 2v2v2, whatever. Games where you get a partner or partners you're working with against an equal opposing team.
>>
>>50493397
Mythic Battles: Pantheon.
>>
>>50493574
seriously, fuck off
>>
>>50493397
I would also like to know that.

I know that Cyclades with the Titans expansions provides for 3v3 or 2v2.

In StarCraft you can go with teams but it defaults to FFA.

There's the Captain Sonar game for team vs team.
>>
>>50486594
glad i didnt back this one.

i like norse myth. waaaaay more then greek. or egypt would be cool to.
>>
>>50493397
codenames
>>
File: Age_of_Mythology_Liner[1].jpg (51KB, 256x398px) Image search: [Google]
Age_of_Mythology_Liner[1].jpg
51KB, 256x398px
>>50494074
>>
>>50494093
y that game was fucking great.

to bad the 4+ players was bad, its best played with 3 players. but it does it amazingly.
>>
>>50482866
Personally I've been having a huge problem with Kemet, and its this: Every game I've played (seven total I think?) has essentially been decided on the final few actions on the final turn. That doesn't sound like a problem, but get this. In two of the games, the winner came down to: Player A and player B are tied for first. Player C is out of the running, but as her final action, player C can either attack A or B, cinching the win for the other player. In another of the games the player to my left essentially stopped playing because he was tired and annoyed the game was taking longer than he wanted. He was just going through the motions but once again, as the literal final actions of the game this asshat swept in and managed to go from 4 VP to 10 VP and get the win. I can't remember the other games but they similarly were decided at the very end.

Now that last one is some butt-hurtedness over losing to a player that "didn't deserve it, I'll admit. But I'm having this weird issue where I like the IDEA of things always being razor-close, and no one ever being out of the game, but in practice what that means is that it feels like the first 90% of the game doesn't mean anything, and that victory is often outside of your control.

Kemet is so highly regarded and there's a lot to like, is there anyone out there to back me up n this? Does expansion help with any of this?
>>
>>50494410
I haven't played the expansion yet (only got it yesterday) but it tries to mitigate it by two mechanisms
1. Bidding for turn order
2. Victory condition is now applied when you're the active player but before you put down the action pawn.

Even in the base game as you play more you get to see those moments.

A 6VP differential is... not something I've seen with even moderately competent players - are you sure you're doing the rules correctly?

You can get 3VP in one move by taking over someones (fully built) city but this is usually dangerous because recruiting is a free battle and there's no way to have a full-strength troop in an enemy city in one move. It's hard to even get into an enemy city in one move unless you have either the Phoenix the DI card or the Red upgrade tile.

In my opinion the best case scenario for an end game is having a battle on someone's pyramid and winning as the last player. That's a 2VP swing. As a last player you can also go into someone's city and take over all of their pyramids (for a +3VP) if they're unguarded but if somebody doesn't guard their pyramids in the last turn it's their own fault for being a dumbass.

In my opinion and in my group Kemet does somewhat suffer from kingmaking. Our games usually went down to
> I can get 1VP this turn enabling A to win or 1VP enabling B to win.

I haven't seen a FFA game that doesn't have kingmaking problem, though.
>>
>>50494410
>>50494477
>But I'm having this weird issue where I like the IDEA of things always being razor-close, and no one ever being out of the game, but in practice what that means is that it feels like the first 90% of the game doesn't mean anything, and that victory is often outside of your control.

That Idea does not work as it is self contradictory.

Either the early game is relevant and players can be eliminated effectively or the game is short/the early game is meaningless and everybody is relevant until the end.
>>
>>50494477
If i remember correctly as his final three actions he:
upgraded his last pyramid to level 4 (+1 VP)
successfully attacked the sanctum of all gods (+1 from attacking, +1 for saccing end of turn)
successfully attacked a river temple temple, so that he controlled 2 temples end of turn (yes, not counting the sanctuary) (+1 attacking, +1 controlling the temple, +1 for two temples)

I think that's how it happened, at least. I bring it up as it was such an aberration, and we shouldn't have let it happen. But it wasn't like we were leaving him alone either. One of the other players in the 5 player game was almost exclusively picking on him all game. In the last turn we must have been focusing on tearing down the other players that were higher in VPs while disregarding win-from-nowhere guy.
>>
>>50494537
Unless a game lets you set up for the late game while still having presence during the early game, of course.
>>
>>50479293

I'm getting the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for xmas,
has anybody played it?

and I got my niece CandyLand for xmas
>>
>>50494605
How old is your niece? Surely it'd be better to get her something with at least a little bit of decision making.
>>
>>50494718
>>50494718

4 or 5?

2 nieces, one is a year younger than her,

and a 1 year old nephew
>>
>>50494537
I don't fully agree. There are games, I'll take bloodbowl as an example, where one player's good play early can give them the advantage and start to put the game out of reach. The other player is never out of the game however, but they may need to do higher risk plays and even then only be a long shot to win.

Bloodbown of course has a decent luck element with the die-rolling, but I'd be interested to see games that have no dice other other randomizer that uses the same principle.
>>
>>50494570
That's like saying you can be wet and not wet at the same time. Just does not work.

>>50494742
>I don't fully agree. There are games, I'll take bloodbowl as an example, where one player's good play early can give them the advantage and start to put the game out of reach. The other player is never out of the game however, but they may need to do higher risk plays and even then only be a long shot to win.
If you have a perfectly random mechanic involved such as dice, of course the dice might suddenly decide to fuck the winning player. This however is rarely a sign of good game design. At the same time, without such elements you can not really come back from being behind if the game is otherwise deterministic.
>>
>>50494761
>Just does not work.
Best example I can think of is Netrunner, which has a whole runner faction about 'late game inevitability'. The idea is that you focus on setting up your board state until eventually, unless you fuck up or your opponent plays well, you basically cannot lose the game, even if you were horrendously behind on points.

On the flip side, if you focus too much on setting up, your opponent may score out first, which is why you need to strike a balance between attacking to keep your opponent on their toes, and working up towards that late game, even at the cost ceding a few points.
>>
File: 1474708597931.jpg (20KB, 379x364px) Image search: [Google]
1474708597931.jpg
20KB, 379x364px
>>50494569
Well shit.

So it turns I fucked up the rules. I thought that VPs for controlling the temples come after the day phase.

I've been playing this game wrong for nearly a year
>>
>>50494843
But then you can obviously prevent him from setting that up, ultimately ruining his chances of winning, thereby eliminating him early.
>>
>>50494859
Certainly, but he can also prevent you from preventing him from setting up, or have failsafes from getting disrupted. You can fall behind in Netrunner, and there are definitely situations from which you basically cannot come back from, but most of the time you can't really "eliminate" your opponent, aside from actually winning. Even the decks that are the closest to an 'early elimination' tactic (tag me decks) are in danger of an abrupt loss via explosion.
>>
>>50494938
>aside from actually winning
what stops him from winning if he manages to deny you the early game?
>>
>>50494957
Assuming him as the runner, he can still die, or he can't find the agendas (the things you need to either steal or score to get points), or you manage to sneak out some points, usually by bluffing or forcing a scoring window (a period where the corp can score out an agenda).

As the corp, he could've misread a scoring window (perhaps you have a way of getting into his server he doesn't know about), or perhaps you recover from being denied the early game quickly. Perhaps an attempt at scoring ahead causes his own board state to deteriorate enough for you to catch up.
>>
>>50493397
Viktory 2?
>>
>>50479293

Nope, might buy a game for myself and putting it under the tree, cuz I just like the visual of having a box under the tree. Cheers me up.

>How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
I rarely get to play during the holidays, everybody's busy. My relatives arent really into games, we usually play a few games of Pope Joan because my sister loves that game. On new years eve, it's a friend gathering so we usually get to play a few party games like CaH or Telestrations.

>What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?
Well, like I said, I rarely get to play on holidays. Sooo... Telestrations, I'm not a big fan of party games but for some reason, I just love Telestrations.
>Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
Uh, a long time ago I tried to get them to play incan gold and it was horrible because they thought it was too complex. (really, they just dont want to play anything they arent already familar with) That's the best I got.
>>
Probably Hive and another Justice League expansion for my gf.
>>
File: 26856020623_fd7a1eaa9b_c.jpg (421KB, 800x494px) Image search: [Google]
26856020623_fd7a1eaa9b_c.jpg
421KB, 800x494px
>>50493397

I've recently aquired two games which might solve this issue for me.

Lost valley works with 2vs2, 3vs3, and 2vs2vs2 and is very underrated because people hated the rulebook. I've had no problem with the newest edition though.

Sails of Glory technically works with literally any count (picture shows a 30vs30 game). It's a programming game so even with 10+ players, it probably wont take more than 2 hours.

Both games are middle-heavy and takes about 45+ minutes but the rules in SoG are adjustible.
>>
>>50495516

The ships are pre-painted btw.

They're expensive but the base set comes with 4.
>>
>>50486163
is there a guide somewhere to make your own tiles that fit with the regular ones?
>>
>>50495516
>>50495585
Holy Shiz! Does the game also come with a carpenter to build the giant gaming table and additional home extension needed in order to play a 'medium' sized game?
>>
>>50495880
There are a couple of ways, info is on Carcassonne Central.
The least effort DIY solution is to buy blank tiles online, you can either use a flatbed printer to print the image directly onto the blank tiles or print on paper and paste it on. This is convenient because the tiles will have the same size/shape/weight/feel.
Every other solution I've found requires you to use whatever material feels the most like a Carc tile (the best being white-lined chipboard, I forgot exact weight in gr/m^2 ) and print the image onto both surfaces, then cut the sheets into 45mm tiles. The best way to do this is to use a die cutter.
There'll still be a way to tell custom tiles apart from the original ones, so you'll probably want to use a draw bag.
>>
Would you rec Eldritch Horror?
>>
>>50496436
Depends on what you're looking for.

It's heavy on theming and narrative elements with an immense amount of flavor text and variety. It's also heavily luck-based, and with how tight/difficult it is, a couple of poor rolls can easily cost you the game. There are few tactical decisions, as most encounters are simply rolling dice, but there's a good amount of long-term strategy that's also easy to grasp for new players.

I would recommend it if your group is into the Lovecraft/globe-trotting theme and can appreciate a long-ish game without a ton of decision-making. And is okay with luck being a deciding factor.
>>
>>50496579
I forgot to say I love Arkham Horror.
>>
>>50496640

I would say that Eldritch is a slightly improved arkham horror at it's core, if you like A-H, there's no reason you wouldnt love E-H.

There's a chance they might feel a bit samey if you own both. I dunno, I got rid of my A-H stuff after playing E-H a few times.
>>
>>50493397
Only one I got like that is Arena of the Planeswalkers but I guess Heroscape would fit that bill.
>>
>>50494093
Underappreciated god(kek)-tier game. Best and most balanced RTS ever imo.
>>50494133
I had some epic 2v2 games tho.
>>
>>50501717
They were talking about the board game m8.
>>
>>50502267
Well fug, but that pic is the video game.
>>
>>50502710
Right, though I guess one can't say what they guy meant. Going by the board I just assumed that it was about the board game.

I also agree with you on the RTS
>>
>>50502894
I"m the poster of the pic, I was talking about the vidya, didn't know the board game exists, and since it's not talked about like Doom and Starcraft I'll have to assume it's not very good.
>>
>>50503429
I heard it's an OK-ish empiire builder but if you want something like Age of Mythology the RTS play Age of Mythology the RTS.

The combination of the player count and it being heavily OOP made me not interested in it.
>>
page 10 begone!
>>
>>50505455
Again
>>
For those that have tried it, does Kingdom Death play well via tabletop simulator? I'm really trying to justify the price, as I know the components are fantastic and the game is good, but it just seems so much especially when I realize I could potentially just play it for free off TTS. How much would I really be losing by not having physical components? Anyone have experiences with both?
>>
>>50509293
TTS will eventually disappear.
Plastic and cardboard in a box inside a shelf is likely to still be there a century from now.
>>
>>50509500
So you could buy it off someone years from now if TTS vanishes and you're not done with it after playing it for free for a while?
>>
>>50509543
Yeah, but as time passes limited production items become very expensive collector items
>>
>>50501717
YOU CAN PLAY 2V2? WE THOUGHT IT WAS FREE FOR ALL.
>>
File: board-fr[1].png (2MB, 1800x1198px) Image search: [Google]
board-fr[1].png
2MB, 1800x1198px
>People will pay $50 for a 5 hour play it once game

How is the game? I've been really curious.
>>
>>50503429
its a great fucking game.
>>
>>50498639
I don't own A-H, my friends do. But I'd like to own and play a game with the same principle without having to buy the same game. I just wanted to have an opinion regarding how different it is from A-H. For example, I've heard there was no money system but a debt system.
>>
>>50496640
If you want it to refresh the theme for you, no. Thematically it's the same game but world instead of city. If you're tired of it, this will only make you more tired. Mansions of Madness would be better for you there as it really embraces the survival aspect as opposed to the "Fight the God as a special task force" thing.

If you want it because you still live the theme but think the game itself needs some improvements, Eldritch is a much cleaner, little simpler, but overall more fun game that gets you to the meat of what you showed up for better. It also has less clunky implementation of expansions.
>>
>>50509975
See >>50509875
>>
>>50509975
I also took a look at Mansions of Darkness. I already have Descent 2nd Ed in the "same style" and the concept of "1 player vs 4 players" isn't exactly the most fun thing that I know. It puts a lot of pressure on the evil player and, if the game is unbalanced, the feeling can be overwhelming. At least, that's what I experienced. 1 brain vs. 3/4 brains is something that's hard to balance out, IMO.
>>
>>50509543
Dude, games go up in value months after they're OoP, you're not buying that shit years from now if you're not able to buy it for retail.
>>
>>50509543
>So you could buy it off someone years from now if TTS vanishes and you're not done with it after playing it for free for a while?
>kingdom death
>the game that retailed for $400 and got scalped for $800 while it was still in intermittent production
>>
>>50510108
That's my problem with crawlers: Players vs Overlord (Descent, Dungeon Saga, Conan) are easy mod if every player is on the same level and knows the game but can be impossible if the Overlord is overly mean when playing with noobs. Plavers vs AI (Myth, Zombicide, Castle Ravenloft) are easy to manipulate and not challenging but fuck you over entirely on a bad roll or card draw.

Level 7:OP is probably the closest to being balanced but sometimes feels even more race-like than Descent.
>>
>>50510184
Is Space Hulk a crawler?
>>
>>50509797
Interesting concept, very short, zero replayability, first expansion is garbage.
>>
>>50510252
It's somewhere between crawler and survival-mode skirmish.
>>
>>50509975
Regardin mansions of madness and the app. Does anybody know if it's possible to make your own scenarios?
>>
>>50509794
If we are still talking about the video game, yeah. You could set the teams any way you want. You could have 3v3 or 2v2v2 as well. A popular mode online was 3 humans vs 1 computer on highest difficulty.
>>
how can i make basic shapes in TTS ?
like i want a tile thats basically a square with a triangle on it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
i am trying to design a sort of tile laying/influence game.

you need to actually have resources to build a tile and the tile you build could be something like a lumberjack village which gives wood.
now you dont own the tile but you have influence on the tile and since you have the most the village will supply you. other players could try to take that supply away by spending influence.

i really want to use pentagon tiles but this would make the gameboard hard to understand.

so i was thinking that, you cannot build a road if you cannot place a tile against it. (it overlaps with a road or tile)

would this be to funicky ?
>>
File: 2.png (356KB, 577x321px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
356KB, 577x321px
>>50511674
i guess regular hex makes waaaay more sense. but i like how the pentagon board ends up.
>>
>>50509797
Friend bought it. Interesting game, definitely wouldn't recommend buying it as replayability is null even with a different group. But I would recommend it without hesitation in a café and I'll gladly play the expansions when my friend impulse-buys them.

Probably a good game to buy secondhand and resell shortly after.

>>50510171
>>50510138
1) That's if there's no other reprint ever, and I'm not aware of Poots hating money.
2) That's assuming anon's ability or willingness to pay remains the same over time.
3) If I wasn't clear, I don't expect anon will miss KD:M by the time TTS stops being a thing.
>>
>>50511674
For some reason, looking at the pentagons really annoyed me. When I start from a point and try to make a line towards the opposite point, I fail because it's a pentagon, which riles me up and I have no idea why.

Is this what conditioning feels like?

Anyway, the pentagon map did end up in a pretty interesting configuration, so forbidding overlap is a pretty good idea.
>>
I know nothing about boardgames. Is catan a good "Civ: the boardgame" game?
>>
>>50514580
how about you play civ? you know, the boardgame that inspired civ the video game
>>
>>50514629
It's a little old to make a good gift.
>>
>>50514773
then how about you get civ the boardgame, based on civ the videogame, based on civ the boardgame.
>>
>>50514784
It's a little meta to make a good gift.
>>
>>50514807
you can try tiny epic kingdoms if you dont want to give the actual civ game.
>>
>>50514580
despite the memes, catan is a perfectly fine intro to board games. I wouldn't say it's too similar to civ though

the 2010 sid meier's civilization board game and clash of cultures are usually touted as the best civ-like board games, but they're both a bit complex for newbies
>>
>>50479293

>Late backer for dark souls
>dont keep up with campaign
>Check it out when it ended, everyone excited
>knock out pledge manager, check back in with kickstarter page
>doom and gloom everywhere

Well this certainly feels sour. What with KDM casting a shadow of greatness, and the upcoming The Other Side kickstarter by wyrd (im convinced now that in the lore department, they can practically do no wrong)
>>
>>50516376
what's going on with the dark souls game? I haven't been keeping up with it
>>
>>50516473

From what I'm piecing together, they planned to release a gameplay walkthrough for folks. Something happened, it didn't materialized. You would think, considering it's close to christmas, and the negative reaction a lot of backers are having to this, SFG would have rushed to get something thrown together. The pledge manager closes in 4 days, and there's no gameplay shown. Nothing besides testimonials from people who played the game at whatever convention, who said it was good.

In light of all that, my pledge went down about 150 USD
>>
>>50516558
I took a look at the recent comments and someone also mentions shipping will cost about twice as much as projected during the campaign.

Another thing to keep in mind when backing long-term projects that don't charge shipping up front. Shipping definitely hasn't been getting cheaper.
>>
>>50516473

Forgot some stuff

>People keep bringing up is the shipping. Looks like it's going to be 30 bucks regardless of what you get. Considering some of the stuff I've gotten via kickstarter in the past, that does seem high.
>Still no model renders of some of the Megabosses
>Core game and KS exclusives got seperated. Exclusives arrive 6 months after core is scheduled to arrive
>>
>>50479293
should i buy the conan boardgame? i like the models and the rules look like a good time. but does the game get boring after a while? is every scenario just fun once?
>>
>>50516722

It's pretty fun. I've demo'd the same map 3 times now, and it's holding up well enough. It also helps that it's fun for the overlord.

They're working on some form of portal where people will make scenarios for the game and can submit them, so that might take off and you'll have a bunch of set ups to play with.
>>
>>50516722
I just come back from two Conan games, each scenario certainly holds more than one time and there's quite a good deal of them anyway. I have the luck of having a friend who got it for Xmas (double luck) and it's a great dude on the map game.

I have played the same scenario three times and it hasn't been boring. It's usually a little bit against the offensive team, so there's typically a warm-up game. The more you play, the more you see what you can do / could have done and it's nice. Plus the scenarii have different flavour that aren't just for the heck of it, you really have to think at a certain strategy pretty much for every scenario, though the basics don't really change.

It's nice, I guess it's even nicer when you aren't the one buying it, typically, it would be a good combo-buy with multiple people.
>>
File: 1203161415.jpg (1MB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1203161415.jpg
1MB, 2304x1296px
So I kickstarted this.
How big of a mistake did I make/ what am I in for?
>>
>>
>>50517614
Anyone want to brief me on this game? I've seen a few videos of it, but nothing really specific. What's the hype for?
>>
>>50516590
The problem they made is that they kept adding stretch goals in the form of free expansion packs. Backers are going to receive like 5 separate boxes of game. The shipping covers the base game upon release and also covers the expansions when they are ready 6 months later. That's why shipping is high, idk what people are expecting.
>>
>>50517701
Quirky art mostly
>>
File: ce01_main.png (192KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ce01_main.png
192KB, 300x300px
Is this worth?
>>
Anybody read Characteristic of Games?

Having my gut feeling confirmed (or rather articulated) about several game types was both kind of awesome (yeah I knew this sucked) and on the other hand sad (well shit, turns out I actually don't like most of the games I play)
>>
>>50518723
If your group will like it, yes. I have only certain people I can play it with.
>>
>>50518723
If your group is not competitive: NO
If you group is competitive:
- They like to win: YES
- They like others to lose : NO
>>
Does Fief or Lancaster do the whole "ambitious feudal family" thing better?
I'd also be receptive to a third option, given a compelling argument
>>
>>50520338
Kingdom Death.
>>
Send help Im about to play Elder Sign with three drunk chicks and only one is my wife
>>
>>50520202
>They like others to lose: NO
For some values thereof. Games where everyone deliberately wins together in order to make sure a single lone player lose can occasionally be an excellent source of sodium.
>>
>>50520874
Send help my investigators have wine stains on them now
>>
>>50521540
I have an ammo box full short/casual of games I don't mind getting dirty.
Rhino Hero, Loot n' Run, Love Letter, the works.
>>
I found a near complete copy of heroquest, only thing its missing is a treasure card and a single goblin. Fuck yes.
>>
>>50521588
We started with Cards Against Humanity and my wife suggested we break out Elder Sign. My only solace is the wine is now gone and we're half way down the doom track, Yig take me for I am ready?
>>
>>50521599
Does it have a browdswowd?
>>
>>50521629

>Grow a spine
>Tell them you don't like people destroying your stuff
>????
>Profit via things keeping their value!

Seriously though anon, I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or are legitimately sitting their watching people damage your games and do nothing but cry to 4chan about it.
>>
File: rg-cartoon-1c[1].png (58KB, 400x282px) Image search: [Google]
rg-cartoon-1c[1].png
58KB, 400x282px
>>50521629
>>50521540
>>50520874
>>
>>50521719
nah, I was a little bummed when I realized that was the card I was missing
>>
Got a board game night in! Everything went great and I somehow won it all!

Continued Seafall. Maybe it's just the fact that I was super de-hyped, or maybe it gets worse the further we go, but actually had a blast playing it this time. First time was kinda eh, you just drag on hoping to get enough points to finally win with exploration being your only good source of points. This second game we all went in with a strategy and our nations actually started to really separate themselves out with the introduction of our leader's powers and objectives to go for. I ended up getting all the tools I ever needed to be a raiding machine by the end, complete with a 4 reputation and auto success to the roll to undo all the enmity tokens at the end. Everyone is so afraid of my leader that they can't hold a grudge. It only took 2 hours so it didn't drag on and we look forward to all the new stuff the next game introduces.

We also played a game of Scythe! Fun fun fun. 2 of the players were new so I felt a little bad. One had trouble getting off his island, the other was only picking up the strategy half way through. Played Patriotic Saxtons, almost lost hold of the victory when someone attacked me to end the game but I realized if I intentionally lost, they were attacking my worker as well and would lose a reputation putting them 1 popularity under the line for them sweet end of game bonuses.
>>
File: 1470483673896.jpg (40KB, 400x717px) Image search: [Google]
1470483673896.jpg
40KB, 400x717px
>kingdom death rated 9.1
>ranked 163rd
>pandemic legacy rated 8.4
>ranked 1st
>>
Is Forbidden Stars really as great as people here make it out to be? Or is it because it's 40K/OOP?
>>
>>50520338
fief, although it has lots of problems

fief is the closest board gaming has come to crusader kings 2. lancaster is really great, but it's a worker placement game with some neat ideas that just happens to have a medieval coat of paint.
>>
Hey currently have two board games on my wishlist for christmas: Dead Of Winter and Scythe. Are there better alternatives or are those good choices?
>>
>>50526542
maybe if you list your likings and/or what you already own you could get an appropriate response - maybe
>>
>>50526547
Yeah sorry, I meant in their respective category. I'm pretty new to board games and only recently formed somewhat of a group that meets about 3 times per month to play. We have some very competetive players and some that are a bit huggy. So I wanted to get something to play cooperatively and something a tad more complex but still with some interaction. So far we've played dungeon dice, catan, cosmic encounter, thunderstone advance, smash up and exploding kittens.
>>
>>50526542
dead of winter is probably the best zombie game if that's what you're into. I'm holding off for their next game that uses the same systems but isn't in a zombie setting, but I've honestly been tempted to just get it

scythe is an odd one. don't get it if you're expecting a game filled with fighting. I honestly don't know what other games I'd group with it either, so it's hard to say if it's the best of its category. it's a well received game though, with the major complaint being from people who expected more of an emphasis on fighting.
>>
>>50526622
Not too much fighting sounds not too bad actually. Considering the peaceful nature of some of our players.
>>
>>50480062
99 buckaroos for me

>>50486594
if I like pantheon I might back this one as well.
>>
>>50525386
That 9.1 is pure Kickstarter FOTM overhype tho.
>>
>>50527352
wtf are you talking about. it has been a 9+ for years now.
>>
>>50480062

Backed at the Typhon level. Also backing Kingdom Death, but only at the $50 level. I already have the core and ain't spending another five hundred.
>>
>>50525386
>No. of Ratings
>1,413
>>
>>50527368
>>50525386
Ranking algorithm combines scores, number of reviews, logged plays and other arcane fuckery, of course it's not #1.
>>
>>50527599
wtf are you talking about. where did i mention anything about its ranking
>>
So, which Carcassone Expansions can you guys recommend? I've been playing a lot of Basic and strategy has devolved to "fight for the one big field at all costs"
>>
File: ducke.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ducke.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
>>50527727
Y'see that's the problem right there. You try to make sense out of everything. Have a cute duckling.
>>
>>50527807
you only play with basic? that must be boring as fuck.

do you have the original or new one?

anyway one of the best expansion is traders and builders.
phantoms is a very cheap one which adds some depth.
i hope you have the basic expansion already? which makes roads a lot better.

from the 6 expansions, goldmines is the best.

i would also try to get the bridges, they are pretty fun.
>>
>>50527807
River and River 2 are good for dividing the fields a bit so they're not worth as much and more people can claim a chunk of land.
Inns and Cathedrals bump up the value of roads and cities, so there's a bit less of a reward for claiming fields early on.
Traders and Builders adds another way to score points via merch collecting, but it does enable a bit of opportunism.
>>
>>50527862
>do you have the original or new one?
German Edition, so I have the new field rules

>basic expansion
Which one is that?

>>50527864
>River and River 2 are good for dividing the fields a bit so they're not worth as much and more people can claim a chunk of land.
Cool, will check out

>Inns and Cathedrals bump up the value of roads and cities, so there's a bit less of a reward for claiming fields early on.
Now THAT sounds what I'm looking for

>Traders and Builders adds another way to score points via merch collecting, but it does enable a bit of opportunism.
I'm cautious about expansions adding new gimmick mechanics, would you say this creates obsolete choices?
>>
>>50479515
Guillotine is fun enough, takes only 15m to play, easy to learn. I have had success playing it with mixed groups.
>>
>>50527892
>Traders and Builders
Basically there are symbols on cities that represent merchants, whenever *any* player completes a city, he gets a token of wine, silk or grain for each matching symbol in the city.
The guy with the most of each type of token at the end of the game scores 10 points.
It adds a bit of randomness, but there's a strategic choice to be made. Do I give points to another player by finishing his city so I get to steal a token?
A player can focus on stealing stuff and in the end it can net him 30 points total, but he's gotta be careful not to give other people too many points.
Interesting but not overcomplicated, and will make everyone watch what other people are building.

There's also the builder which can give you extra turns if played right.
>>
Played a good amound the Arkham Horror LCG today. The chaos bag/tokens feel great, much more fun than rolling dice.
>>
>>50527807
I always play with inns and cathedrals and usually with the river
>>
>>50509797
I like it quite a bit, and although I've enjoyed some modules more than others, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

As far as the money, it doesn't see that excessive to me. I split the base game with a friend and we have alternated on expansions.

When you think of spending $10 to go see a 90 minute movie it doesn't seem that expensive
>>
Is Orleans worth the $45
>>
Test
>>
Hello. I would love it if you would point me in the right direction for buying a game. My group and I have a couple board games we've picked up over time (abyss, smallworld, CAH, smash up, and fairy tale)

Is there any must- haves in general?

Also, is there any good strategy game for 4 players or more?

Finally, as I currently am in Japan does that make any difference or is there any hard-to-get games that I should get before I leave?

I am usually a 40k player and me and my group would rarely play any other games. I am not a complete newbie to BGs but I do not know much.

Thanks in advance <3
>>
File: pic2770723_md[1].jpg (136KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2770723_md[1].jpg
136KB, 333x500px
>>50535090
>Finally, as I currently am in Japan does that make any difference or is there any hard-to-get games that I should get before I leave?
Consumer protection laws in Japan forbid distributors and retailers from exporting Rhino Hero Giant Edition.
>>
>>50493397
just bought 1775: rebellion for this. haven't tried it yet, though.
>>
>>50535293
It looks pretty interesting. Has anyone here played it first-hand, and if so, was it fun?
>>
>>50535810
The regular-size version is a top-tier DEX game, no one in the US has played the big version outside of conventions.
>>
>>50535879
Silly laws protecting citizens from game-induced grievous bodily harm
>>
>>50536038
>>50535293
Now I'm curious. What about this stack of cardboard is so dangerous?
>>
File: the fun stops here.jpg (91KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
the fun stops here.jpg
91KB, 480x515px
>>50479293
>csi
>invaders from afar, bloodborne, punct, nox, valley of kings
>fedex warns of wildfires in tennessee
>okay tenessee isn't between california and florida
>package immediately heads to nashville
>>
>>50536414
Falling off the chairs they're standing on while trying to place the pieces.
>>
Is TM worth it for $45? Will it ever go lower?
>>
>>50537367
Depends on what TM you are talking about.
>>
>>50537842
Terraforming Mars.
>>
>>50537842
Terra Mystica
>>
>>50537842
Taj Mahal
>>
>>50537842
Triominoes
>>
>>50537842
Travel Monopoly
>>
Can /bgg/ redpill me on Dead Man's Draw?
>>
>>50539208
No, but we can bluepill you on Live Woman's Erase.
>>
Is the xcom board game worth it?
Is it any good at all?
>>
>>50540521
Nope.
Nope.
>>
>>50540485
>>50540598
Ok, now you're just being an unhelpful dick.
>>
>>50535090
Please help I'll love you forever
>>
>>50540521
it's not at all like the tactical xcom gameplay. it's the broad world saving. really only worth playing with 4 players since all the roles need to be played no matter the player count and that's not great since it's real time. if you want the tactical experience then most people agree level 7 omega protocol or galaxy defenders are what you should look into

if the broad world saving sounds interesting to you but you're not into the real time then check out level 7 invasion (although that basically forces 5 players since all regions need to be in play)

I swear I'm not a shill for level 7
>>
>>50541963
civ the boardgame
>>
>>50525386
>>50525386
>>50525386
But, is it fun?
>>
>>50542402
"people" think CAH is fun.
>>
>>50542486
God damned 'people'
I enjoy it, sometimes, with all expansions and some home-made cards.
>>
>>50518920
To expand on my own post. The authors state that most multi player (3+ people) games devolve to politics or what they call the chip taking game.

The chip taking game looks like this there are 3 (or more) players. Each has 5 chips. On your turn you may take another players chip. The person who loses all chips loses the game.

It's easy to see that this game is boring and that the person who loses is arbitrary (because it depends on how people gang up). And this applies to *all* games with politics. There's no real skill apart from "dodging" other players, banter, bribery, laying low etc.

The only way to guard against politics is restricting interaction or team games with two sides.
>>
>>50542005
That Level 7 Invasion looks interesting. Gotta read some reviews.
>>
>>50479515
I have Once upon a time.

I really like it, although it is not for everyone.
It's a casual light game, but requires the ability to improvise and for you to be focused on the game. We rarely play more than two games back to back. It's not one of those games where you can wait for your turn, and then just play your actions. So maybe too demanding on the total noobs and too light for the experienced crowd.

I really like the game, and I wish it would hit the table more often. For my group I don't see that happening.
Don't know if I can recommend it.
>>
>>50542524
Hidden information helps with this, be it resources, or objectives.
>>
>>50542402
Kingdom death is, pandemic legacy isn't
>>
>>50543071
i only ever played basic pandemic and it was fucking boring. its basically a single player game where there is only one best way to do things every time.
>>
>>50543112
It's the Call of Duty of boardgames. Mass marketing tied to the highly sterilized illusion of a game. If I see anyone who owns it, I know exactly what kinda asshole they are.
>>
Do you house rule anything or take anything out of a game?
In Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, I find taking out the driver and house ruling the re-roll mechanic on the truck into a thing anyone can do makes the game way more interesting. If you're the driver, you stay on that truck and use that truck, and you would never not use that truck because you can fire that cannon multiple times instantly putting out potentially 5 squares of 5 instantly, no smoke. Makes the game way too easy and is by far the most essential role.
>>
>>50543145
I sincerely think Risk Legacy is objectively a better game than Pandemic Legacy
>>
File: quartermaster.jpg (46KB, 300x421px) Image search: [Google]
quartermaster.jpg
46KB, 300x421px
>>50493397
It plays in 2hours, maybe less when you get a good grip on the game.
It always involves 6 nations : USA, GB and USSR against Germany, Italy and Japan. So if you're 6, it's one nation each, if you're 4, you can do 2 people in each team and divide the nations how you want or try a 3 vs 1 (but the alone guy has to manage 3 decks, so it may be more suited to an experienced player)
>>
File: pic3122349.jpg (664KB, 602x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic3122349.jpg
664KB, 602x600px
So, how is it?
>>
>>50543145
>asshole for owning a game
you must be fun
>>
>>50543812
I second this.

Quartermaster General is an unknown gem. Expansions are great too.
>>
>>50542728
It doesn't. All it means is that players don't know who to gang up but it doesn't eliminate the nature of the game.

What helps is limited interaction (think poker) or team games (think soccer)
>>
>>50543112

It's a fine gateway co-op that loses its lustre quickly. That said the On the Brink expansions does help breath some life into it with the virulent strain and the purple disease.

Also apparently you're supposed to play without showing your cards so you avoid the alpha gamer syndrome, but fuck that.
>>
>>50543917
Definitely seems better than the LotR one.
Still co-op so I'm not interested, but my hugbox peacenik pussy whipped brother likes it.
>>
>>50543997
The LOTR one is apparently fucking vicious, which would make it better than the walk in the park AH LCG
>>
>>50543992
Keeping your cards hidden is kind of counter-productive. I'd rather just tell the alpha player to let others think for themselves if it's a problem at all. In one group I play with, I'm the alpha player and I make it a point to always let the others come up with their own plays even though I often figure out a good/better move before them. I only suggest an alternative to their moves if they're equivalent (so it's up to them to choose what they prefer anyway) or an improvement on something they're already trying to do (e.g. another route to reach their destination faster or reminding them of the possibility to take a direct flight if they're comfortable discarding that city).

Sometimes I do take the reins for the team and plan 2-3 turns ahead when we're in a really tough spot or running out of time. Even then I involve them in the process, and you always have to adjust from one turn to the next anyway depending on what gets drawn.

One of my friends I consider better than me at Pandemic (and most games for that matter) and I'm always happy to hear his suggestions even when they're completely different from my original ideas, because that allows us to play on more brutal settings and really give it our best. I'd rather have an alpha gamer on my team calling the shots than play against one and lose most of the time.
>>
>>50543974
I don't know, wouldn't being able to influence whose chip gets taken before any politics occur alleviates the problem (ganging up on an arbitrarily chosen player) a bit? Or is it that you want to avoid devolving into the chip taking game entirely?
>>
>>50544877
> I don't know, wouldn't being able to influence whose chip gets taken before any politics occur alleviates the problem (ganging up on an arbitrarily chosen player) a bit?
No that's precisely what's broken about those games.
> Or is it that you want to avoid devolving into the chip taking game entirely?
Yes!
>>
>>50544945
>No that's precisely what's broken about those games.
I'd argue that that depends; some games are better with a dab of politics in them. Whether it means that the game is dull enough that it needed politics to be more fun or not though, I won't say.

Wonder what the authors think about the pure negotiation games that don't really let you gang up on others like Chinatown or New Angeles, though I guess the "doesn't let you gang up on others" part is already a form of limited interaction.
>>
My copy of Twilight Imperium arrives today.

So fucking excited.
>>
>>50544564

I agree. I'm definitely the alpha player too, but try my best to allow others to come to the conclusion I've come to already regarding optimal action choices. I just thought it was an interesting thought of keeping cards hidden but still trying to coordinate and share city cards, etc.
>>
>>50545116
>>50544945
Politics only really even matters if the group is shit.
>i know nurgle has dudes on every populous territory
>but you took all the horses when we played carson city last week
Fuck you Pete I'm still salty.
>>
>>50545461
It just seems silly to me to hide your cards if you're still going to say how many of each color you have and announce every color you draw so you know who should be collecting which cure. We did it several times and came to the conclusion it was pointless. Might as well leave them on the table to coordinate flights and trades easier without needing to memorize or keep asking what everyone has.
>>
>>50545921
Yeah, we also play with an open hand of cards. Hidden info doesn't make the game more of a challenge, just more of a hassle.
>>
>>50543071
Good to know...
>>50542606
I have it and also the expansion where you can make your own cards, I would recommend it to groups who LOVE improvisation. We usually play it every half a year or so, in between DnD sessions of bigger games.
>>50543997
hmmmm, co-oooop, love it
>>
>>50479293
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgJ1gP1D0UQ

SUSD is full on inclusivity now
are you salty /tg/?
>>
>>50545297
>tfw I will never have a dedicated enough group to play TI with
>>
>>50546405
Not even going to click the link.
Whatever it is, they can take their SJW faggotry and fuck off.
>>
>>50546505
i do.

is twilight imperium the best game of its kind. or would you argue there are games that do it better?
>>
>>50546405
It's been part of their brand forever, no one's surprised by it anymore, and therefore no one's salty.
Except them.
>>
>>50546592
Virgin Queen and Here I Stand are better, but much harder to get people "into."
>>
>>50546592
The only thing I like better than twilight imperium for competing with twilight imperium is better twilight imperium.
http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/
But I haven't played Virgin Queen or Here I Stand, which have both been getting a lot of buzz hereabouts recently.
>>
>>50546675
>http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/

is that version going retail ?
>>
>>50546708
Not if he doesn't want a C&D from Assmodee.
>>
>>50546804
oh its a fan ruleset ?
>>
>>50546708
I seriously doubt it. Maybe they'll find a way to do some print runs of the revised components at some point, but right now it's all got loads of FFG copyright art on it. And producing all the components to convert the game to their ruleset yourself is a pretty serious pain in the ass. I'm REALLY glad I did it, the improvements go a long ways, but I'm a pretty big sperg for finding ways to improve games and even I refuse to keep up with their revision process until it gets to a stable final state sometime in the distant future.
>>
>>50543933
Do you not see someone recommend monopoly and think "Yikes, this guy has no tastes"?
>>
>>50545116
The argument isn't what makes a more interesting game or not (some people are entertained by Monopoly, or CAH or Shoots and Ladders) but what makes a more strategically sound game.

Don't know either Chinatown or New Angeles but the authors discriminate between two types of multiplayer games: races and brawls.

Races are games in which the interaction between players are very limited (pure form is no interaction between players when they play simultaneous 1 player games) and some sort of scoring determines the winner.

Brawls are games in which interactions are possible and are less strategically sound (politics, kingsmaking etc)
>>50545660
The book makes a compelling argument that it always matters. Complaining about "movement optimality" is also arbitrary (especially since nobody's heuristics for game playing are perfect so there can be no talk of movement optimality)

But yeah those kinds of games tend do devolve to grudge matches.
>>
>>50479293
/bgg/! Quick! Should I get:
Space Hulk
Star Wars: Rebellion
Cuba Lebrie or
Fire in The Lake

I can't decide and have limited £'s.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d4)

>>50547831
>>
>>50547873
Probably about right.
>>
>>50543812
>>50543956
I stumbled upon Quartermaster General while browsing BGG and threw it onto my wishlist, are Victory or Death and 1914 worth picking up?
>>
>>50547831
Cuba Libre
>>
wait, wait, wait
there is a bloodborne cardgame?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/195856/bloodborne-card-game

is it fun? is it good? is it pretty?
>>
>>50548144
Consensus is that it's pretty good.
>>
>>50547873
Depressingly this may be the best way to decide.

>>50547962
Why?
>>
>>50548203
It's the best intro to COIN, so that makes it better than Fire in the Lake since he seems not to be familiar with the system, it plays 1-4 about equally well, making it better than Space Hulk's hard 2, and
>giving money to asmodee
>>
File: 1479016897898.png (92KB, 433x551px) Image search: [Google]
1479016897898.png
92KB, 433x551px
>>50548305
I am terrified that one day I'm going to wake up and find out that GMT is being acquired by Asmodee.
>>
>>50548533
I once trolled /bgg/ by making a bunch of fake urls stating that exactly that had happened, it was kinda funny.
>>
File: pic3118994.png (477KB, 745x285px) Image search: [Google]
pic3118994.png
477KB, 745x285px
>>50548144
Art is literally straight out of the game. No censoring or toning down.

Pretty fun, but it's only a little bit above filler weight so don't think it's going to be the next smash hit dungeon crawl.

It can be pretty random and swingy, but it ends soon enough to not leave a bad taste in your mouth.
>>
>>50548595
You could have posted a youtube link with "GenCon news: Asmodee executive confirms GMT's acquisition" and rickrolled us all.
>>
>>50548646
Does it come with Ludwig, I need to know.
>>
>>50548669
No, you would have just opened it on the page and seen "Rick Astley etc." and not even started the video.
>>
File: 1470811500356.gif (181KB, 405x414px) Image search: [Google]
1470811500356.gif
181KB, 405x414px
>>50548533
>Asmodee buys Level99
>Pixel Tactics, Mellennium Blades, and Exceed/BattleCon turned into actual collectible card games with rares and super rares
>>
>>50548305
>asmodee
Okay never heard of them before despite owning Splendour.

What's wrong with them and why would any of those options give them money? Do they own FFG or something?
>>
>>50548754

They own FFG, Zman games, Filosofia, Days of Wonder and many many others.

They have a policy that consists in increasing game prices "for the good of the market"

Personally, I don't really give a fuck, I'll just buy whatever I like
>>
>>50548754
They own FFG, only Star Wars gives them money, Space Hulk is put out by GW (and the editions which aren't are second-hand meaning no publisher gets any money) and Cuba Libre and FitL are made by GMT, which is a niche wargame company known for quality, standards, and ethical business practices.
Asmodee gobbles up board game companies, raises the price of board games literally just to gouge us (there's a youtube video where a company rep literally says this, albeit using double-speak), completely cancels games that aren't popular enough, and makes retailers agree not to sell the game too cheaply, all to artificially inflate market share to sell to a larger company (probably Hasbro) before the bubble bursts. One of the people involved in Asmodee was a fucker tied to EA or Activision (can't remember, same fucking thing).
>>
>>50548754
they own FFG and Zman, and Catan Studios, and Days of Wonder, and Filosofia, and Plaid Hat, and something else I forget

they distribute Repos, Matagot and Libellud outside of France
>>
>>50548830
That's a more reasonable policy than just refusing to buy anything. If you don't exist as a customer you're just null data, especially if you weren't buying anything beforehand. The trick is to make sure that you're buying products that are priced appropriately and aren't consumer absusive. Okay, so Asmodee force retailers to maintain a minimum price - that's annoying, but if the minimum price is a reasonable fee for the game, it's a non-issue. When they hold things hostage for more than they're reasonably worth is when it's critical to not pull the trigger.
>>
>>50548912
Yeah I buy their shit when it's priced well, but it almost never is. The large expansions for Eldritch are $50 now, they used to be, what, $40?
Fuck, maybe I'm just getting jaded because I remember being able to buy medium size games for $30.
>>
>>50548754
they're the closest thing to ea boardgaming has. they have a policy where online retailers can't provide too large of discounts "to help out brick and mortar stores" but it's really an excuse to get more money out of consumers. their pr spin was that they wanted boardgames to be a luxury hobby where people buy fewer but better games

>>50548873
I believe the ceo was also the ceo of vivendi in the early 2000s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mORmFyT5RY
>>
>>50548754
Asmodee decided they didn't like how online distributors were able to sell their games under MSRP. So they decided to charge online distributors more while charging brick and mortar distributors less for the same games. They say they did this in order to help poor, underappreciated brick and mortar stores stay alive against the vicious undercutting of the evil online retailers (hyperbole)

I understand the desire to push brick and mortar since that's were a vast majority of sales and growth happen. (I've contacted dozens of distributors and publishers and while I wasn't given any hard numbers, I was told anecdotally that physical sales account for a sizable majority of the industry) So why would Asmodee put the squeeze on online retailers if they're such a small portion of sale and gamers? It gets Asmodee more money. They sell their games to the online retailers for higher prices so the retailer HAS to raise their prices as well in order to still make a profit.

For people like me, my only reasonable option for buying board games is online. The closest BnM store is about an hour and a half drive away from me. I've still gone to that game store several times and have bought games there because I know that the increase of price is what pays for the employee who talked to me about the games I like, explained how a few of the games they had worked, and recommend me a game, and a friend lives in that city who I play games with occassionally. But I can't do that very often because a $40 game becomes $60 with the addition of gas and not to mention the time.

That means with Asmodee squeezing the market for more money, I saw a jump in prices without any sort of increase in benefit.

I bought lots of FFG/Asmodee products before the policy but I will not buy any more. The reason is that even if it's on sale on the shelf, Asmodee has already gotten their money. I don't buy asmodee so the stock stays full which means the store won't be buying more stock.
>>
>>50548873
>(there's a youtube video where a company rep literally says this, albeit using double-speak)
Yeah, there's a Dice Tower interview with an Asmodee rep and Chaz kind of grills him on the policy and the rep istalking about how board games are luxury products, and that price stability is important in the industry, and he just baaaarely stops himself short of completing the sentence "They (customers) should be happy to pay full price"

I can go dig it up if you'd like.
>>
>>50549031
>buy fewer but better games
Can't say I'm opposed to that. Fuck the rest, though.
>>
>>50549795
>price equals quality
if only
>>
>>50550305
I didn't say anything about price.
>>
>>50549795
>better games
With a few notable exceptions, FFGs lineup has turned into endless unimpressive expansions and mountains of LCG packs. That and the fact that they lost the GW license leaves them with little that interests me.

I'm tired of Cthulhu everything and I have enough Netrunner to be happy.
>>
>>50542005
I swear, if they would've tossed in some good Battlescape mechanics then this would've been 11/10.
>>
>>50548305
>It's the best intro to COIN
It's the simplest, but if he's more sold on a different theme (like Vietnam), then Fire in the Lake will keep his attention longer.

Plus, CL only plays 2 factions solo. FITL plays all 4 (including the Insurgents & COINs in pairs.) So if solitaire is his focus, then this would be important to know.
>>
File: carwars01.jpg (57KB, 720x426px) Image search: [Google]
carwars01.jpg
57KB, 720x426px
Alright /bgg/, I just picked up car wars classic and the first arena expansion. What am I in for and what do I need to know?

I loved the concept and I've liked the other steve jackson games I've picked up so far (mainly ogre/gev)
>>
>>50546592
Eclipse
>>
>>50551765
2/10
guaranteed (you) from STEEV but otherwise prettt bad
>>
Don't know where the kingdom death thread went, but new update on the Kickstarter. Two dumb narrative miniatures no one wanted or asked for, and a shitting farting frog dog no one wanted or asked for
>>
>>50552474

>>50538523

Also yeah, frogdog feels way too cartoonish compared to the rest of the setting
>>
>>50552561
I really like its face but yeah the rest is pretty bad
>>
>>50540521
Omega Protocol is the real xcom board game.
>>
Hey guys. Me and my friends are having a get-together for a few days and I was wondering if you could recommend a boardgame for us? We're with 3 and I would prefer something that has you build a character ( or characters ) and compete. Though if you know any really good co-up games like that that's fine as well.
>>
>>50553515
Competitive free for all with character building...
Pretty specific, not sure if there's anything like that.

Wiz war, maybe? No true character building, but it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>50554172
>Competitive free for all with character building...
>Pretty specific, not sure if there's anything like that.
To me it sounds like an RPG with a group of chaotic assholes, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to board games.

I think the only board games I've played with any sort of real character building were coops. I suppose character building would be risky in competitive games since you want players to have perfectly balanced setups. Coops have more leeway in this regard.

Um, maybe the Witcher Adventure Game? Four different characters with a specific deck of upgrades. Haven't played it though, doesn't really appeal to me.
>>
Thred's ded baby. Thred is ded.
>>
>>50553515
Frag is the only game I can think of, but that may not be what you're looking for.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.