[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOARD GAMES GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 304
Thread images: 35

File: 6573567.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
6573567.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
>>50386499

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

What's on your wishlist?

What's that one game you totally fell out of love with and why?

Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing. An awesome or fun moment.
>>
>What have you played recently?
Nothing really, I have pretty much no free time these days. Well I played jenga and spot it with kids at work...
>What's on your wishlist?
MoM2, Scythe also considering Blood Bowl & Viticulture
>What's that one game you totally fell out of love with and why?
7 wonders, played it too much, and I also think I'm moving away from card games these days. There's something very unsatisfying about them for some reason. The level of abstraction maybe ? I dunno.
>Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing. An awesome or fun moment.
Oooh that's tough, we're not a particularly "social" player's group. We will chit chat and occasionally crack jokes., but it never turns into one of these "magical moments" people share around here. I guess closest thing we got is that one game of Fire & Axe where we all started roleplaying as that one guy with the crab juice from that simpsons episode. "I got crab juice to sell. Also we raid village, ok ?" kind of weak sauce but it's all I got.
>>
File: Onitama-Components-600.png (262KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Onitama-Components-600.png
262KB, 600x399px
hey lads,anybody who owns Onitama can share a scan of the cards and the board here?

cant seem to find it on Russian forum.
>>
>>50432854
Conan. Amazing game (singular, as in, I'll need to play it again to see what an ordinary game is like). We were playing the scenario where Conan, wizard, black guy, and helper chick have to rescue a princess from a hut and bring back a shaman's head. The last two turns were basically Conan fighting the snake in the space in front of the hostage hut, six cavemen and shaman move in and gravely wound Conan, I (as wizard) lightning storm the space and kill everyone but the snake and the shaman after Conan does a dervish, they keep the pieces there to block ingress to the princess and summon all the dogs, we use ranged means to kill the snake and the dude, wizard bamfs into the hut, uses his last action to get the princess to the space in front of it, and Black man uses his evade and huge burden limit to carry the head and the princess to safety as literally the last possible action before game loss due to time.
6/10 would always play and never buy.
I have Dark Souls, Kingdom Death, and Gods War coming in, I don't need any more plastic until Nihei decides that a BLAME! minis game is a good idea.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/user_wishlist.php?id=f6ead36c908a21338970e9ea968e4336
Not pictured: Starcraft, Successors, a load of Sierra Madre games, the caveat attached to Tigris and Euphrates that it has to be one of the versions that uses wood bits (it's on the wishlist as a reminder), and a reminder to look into Cave Evil.
None, when a game's good it'as good.
>Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing. An awesome or fun moment.
See the answer to the first question.
>>
File: PAINTED BIGBOX.jpg (701KB, 986x1960px) Image search: [Google]
PAINTED BIGBOX.jpg
701KB, 986x1960px
i have this huge carcassonne big box i made myself.

i have room for all official expansions. (not sure how i would go about making the print only expansions on the site)

how many mazes should i get?
are tunnels and belagers worth it?

i was thinking about the mini expansion from the new tile set but i dont know how ugly it is. has anyone mixed them ?
>>
File: IMG_1003.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1003.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50433207
also my festivals expansions is waaaay darker then the rest of my tiles. how would i go about getting one that matches the rest of my tiles?
>>
>>50433207
>>50433225
No, you shouldn't put too much thought into a light game.
That's why I refuse to sleeve my Ascension Apprentice Edition, defeats the point of buying it due to cheapness.
>>
>>50433241
>light

you have clearly never played a 6 player carcassone game with almost all expansions for 7 hours.
>>
>wake up excited about the new KDM update
>more cheesecake trash
>hints of a new expansion

I hope not too much of the gamblers chest is pinup stuff. Considering how many copies are selling this time, methinks they're going to be a slightly annoying thing to resell
>>
>>50433395
Philosophy of death is good, at least.
>>
> What have you played recently?
Chaos in the Old World. We played the chaos gods with the new expansion cards and some new old world events dropped in.

I'm kind of MEH on the expansion cards. They seem to add uncessarily complexity (I don't think we had that much doubts when playing for the first time with the old set of cards).

The events were... well I guess playing with 7 of them is the only way to trigger the "everybody loses" game ending.
> What's on your wishlist?
Triumph and Tragedy... maybe. I mean I really like the mechanics - wish there was a game of similar complexity with higher quality components (and in a fantasy setting) but getting it on the table could be impossible. I have one friend who's warmish to the idea but I'm not completely sure he'd be into it. Getting 1-2 more people to play could be hard.

Lords of Xidit, Clank, Through the Ages, Mare Nostrum also look awesome (and might be easier to get on the table).
> What's that one game you totally fell out of love with and why?
Munchkin. Now I know better.
>>
>>50433405

For sure, the one decent thing in the box right now
>>
>>50433503
>I'm kind of MEH on the expansion cards. They seem to add uncessarily complexity (I don't think we had that much doubts when playing for the first time with the old set of cards).
The new OW cards take agency away from the players, and the new Powers cards buff Khorne, cripple Nurgle, and make each faction "samey." The only reason to buy Horned Rat is for the eponymous faction.
>>
>>50433568
If we get three good minis in the box it basically becomes worth it.
Aw well, if the box is shit I can always save $50 (got the Black Friday core + box level).
>>
Rate my holiday buys:

Fresco
Louis XIV
Coup
Biblios

Pretty light stuff, but that's about as heavy as my current group can handle
>>
>>50433582
The Old World Cards feel like "fuck this, this and that guy in particular"

We draw the one where every unit takes 1 more pp to play and a second one that disallows you to play chaos cards unless you sacrifice two creatures.

That was a PITA. I'd be interested in playing a game with only the new OW cards where the entire name of the game changes but adding them at random to the deck is just painful.

I played as Nurgle and he didn't seem crippled (it was one game though) even though the OW cards seemed to be especially targeted at me I almost managed to win - it came down to unlucky dice in my region.

The upgrades especially seem powerful for Nurgle (leave corruption on each region you dominate in).

Though the Khorn warrior upgrade is really ridiculous - not only can Khorn now win via dials, he can easily win through VPs and the conditions are 100% compatible.
>>
XCOM Expansion fucking when? Was t it supposed to come out at the end of the year?
>>
>>50433132
anyone?

i cant find this game locally,and online shipping is 20 dollars.
>>
What have you played recently?<
descent 1e.
I kind of dislike dungeoneer gameplay but my group loves playing.
planning to switch to warhammer quest on next wipe.
>whats on your wishlist?
KDM but too much poorfag for that.other than that not much.
>fun moment/highlight
in descent they killed both bosses 100-0 in a single turn.
>>
>>50432854
Played eclipse for first time, liked it quite a bit.

Great western trail

Warhammer

In the above game of eclipse player to the left of me was hearing up to make a run on the center hex, but got blocked by two other players charging in before he could, so he decides my home system is a juicier target, since all that is guarding it is a handful of interceptors. Well guess it's time to research and upgrade to some antimatter cannons. Opponents fleet was destroyed in the first volley.
>>
Any opinions on Flash Point and Dead Men Tell No Tales? My gf is really into co-op games and so I'm trying to determine which one would be a better buy
>>
>>50433869
I really like the Horned Rat Morrslieb chaos decks and upgrades. The one thing I didn't like about base was that playstyle was entirely too predictable as it was.
>Khorne kills stuff for dials, avoid.
>Nurgle gets a shitton of corruption points, deny populous areas and cull his cultists
>Slaanesh and Tzeentch are gimped opportunists, keep in check and deny special tokens.
Even though it made sense mechanically and thematically, I've never been too keen on being shoehorned into playing a certain way.
Morrslieb gives me more of a choice, more flexibility on how I plot a strategy and adapt to what the other players throw at me, and it still feels like it makes sense mechanically and thematically.

To each his own, I guess, but I prefer it over the base game.
>>
>>50431330
I struggle with this. I have one friend who HATES story in games. He basically forces us to summarize anything storywise into a sentence, or like in your case we just read the game effects
I don't like Red Dragon Inn either, but I can see a day where I'm forced to play it (so long as it's 4 or more, 3 players sucks). I would probably just have to flip that switch in my brain that allows me to have fun with stupid games. Still, I would rather go home early than be forced to read flavor text or roleplay
>>50432854
The other generals are making fun of OP's unpainted minis
>played
Isle of Skye. First time I was ahead the entire game and managed to hold my lead last round, BUT it was a tiebreaker where I won by 1 coin
Onitama. I beat the guy who always wins. He walked away saying "I only play Chess casually anyway," as if I'm a grandmaster lol
>Wishlist
Fuji Flush. It's either a sleeper hit or they made very few copies, because they're sold out everywhere. Here I was waiting for Amazon's price to drop but I should've just nabbed it
Also buying Onitama and maybe Unusual Suspects as gifts for friends
>Fell out of love
More games than I care to admit
>Highlight
Played Carson City Saturday, on the last round I took the sheriff and used it to prevent everyone from scoring a lot, successfully extorted several players out of most of their income, just to come in tied for last
>>50432997
>MoM2
Get it today at BN.com, it's like $60
>>50433698
Never heard of Louis xiv
Fresco and Biblios are a 8/10
>>50434871
>Tfw you talk up Great Western Trail to your friend because you want him to buy it, and he does
Pfister is demigod-tier for sure but I can't manage to get his heavier ones played
>>
>>50436111

>mom2

Unfortunately, je suis français. hon hon hon le saucisson.
>>
>>50436433
mom 2 ?
>>
>>50436620
Also called dad
>>
>>50436620
Mansions of Madness second edition, sorry !
>>
>>50432854
Kemet, The Resistance, No Thanks, King of Tokyo, Lords of Waterdeep, Euchre, Blood Bowl (not really board game related in my opinion but apparently it is), Galaxy Truckers, Love Letter

A lot of things, I think near the top right now is probably Pandemic

Eh, I don't buy games I don't like so I haven't fallen out of love with anything.

For the flipside I've started to hate ticket to ride less, I still dislike it and think it's a boring game but I've been playing it more recently because a couple friends like it and it's fine, it's like a piece of toast. Sure it's bland and boring but it's still pretty good and I'm not going to not eat it.

After a long game of Kemet I had an opportunity to king make just because of my divine intervention cards, so when a player made a move I didn't think they could have done (or at least it was interesting to me) I decided to let them win while punishing the one who dramatically misplayed.

On the flip side of actual awesome gameplay moments, it's fucking sweet when you're playing the resistance and a non-spy sees the winning mission team being laid out and then screams, "IF YOU'RE A GOOD GUY REJECT THIS TEAM"

I don't think we'll stop laughing at that for a long time.
>>
>>50435792
If I want my dudes not to be radically different in what they want and how they play I wouldn't be playing an asymmetrical game.
>>
>>50436896
It's still assymmettrical, tho.
Khorne still bashes the closest guys' heads, Nurgle still really likes to make a pig sty out of everywhere, Slaanesh still seduces humans and daemons for fun and profit, and Tzeentch is still a douche that messes with everyone's plans.
I don't feel like they're samey, power cards still play very differently, but now Khorne isn't as dial-dependent, Nurgle got a couple of dial spin boosts and Slaanesh and Tzeentch actually have a better chance to win, instead of just playing kingmaker or opportunistic.
>>
Nothing much.

Trying to decide whether I should get Pericles or Spacecorp. Both appeal to me greatly in different ways. Trying to trade my shit on abecorn for any COIN game.

Dead of Winter. First few times was really fun, but it falls flat once the novelty wears off.
>>
>>50438080
>Dead of Winter. First few times was really fun, but it falls flat once the novelty wears off.

CULT OF THE NEW

will scythe be as big of a blunder?
>>
>>50438378
Scythe has actual gameplay backing it up.
>>
File: mythic battles.png (6MB, 680x6085px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.png
6MB, 680x6085px
>all that for $99

Would be foolish to not back this at least for the core box. Overflowing with content.
>>
>>50438956
>board game
>>
File: the shilling fields.jpg (170KB, 900x1301px) Image search: [Google]
the shilling fields.jpg
170KB, 900x1301px
>>50438956
>>
>>50439264
>is a game
>uses boards

Complicated stuff.
>>
>>50438378
Don't think so, Stegmeier is really careful with his designs, Euphoria and Viticulture have real staying potential.
>>
>>50438956
>content
A bunch of plastic is not "content".
>>
>>50439571
ok so warhammer 40k is a board game, it's a game, I use plastic realms of battle boards, but that's cool right?
>>
>>50439715
>the material of which the components are made dictates whether it's content or not

Wew
>>
>>50439751
That's a tabletop game. You might wanna read up on that kind of stuff. You seem a bit ignorant.
>>
>>50439756
Stupid or just pretending.
Either way, 0/10 for you.
>>
>>50439781
ok so this other game is also a tabletop game

you might wanna read up on that kind of stuff, you seem a bit like an asshole
>>
>>50439809
It literally uses boards you moron.
>>
>>50439977
>game about minis fighting
>board game

ok

so deadzone is a boardgame
>>
>>50439781
>>50439977

Come on anon, the only way to win a discussion with a shitter is to not play.
>>
>>50440052
>Kemet is not a board game
>Cyclades is not a board game
>Blood Rage is not a board game
>Conan is not a board game
>Mechs vs. Minions is not a board game
>Cry Havoc is not a board game
>Level 7 [Omega Protocol] is not a board game

Hm, Mage Wars and Summoner Wars use cards instead of minis so they are obviously board games. The others aren't though. Because if you use minis instead of cards it means it's not a board game.

So just to summarize:
cards = board game
meeples = board game
wooden pieces = board game
plastic minis NOT A BOARD GAME

Whatever you say famalam.
>>
>>50438956
Looks interesting. How does the combat system work?
>>
>>50438944
It's an okay euro game with an evocative setting, but it was the art, minis, and reputation of the designer that sold the game, not gameplay. Like many Stonemeier games the early game is slow and boring, and needs to be accelerated somehow (like Viticulture did with the mamas and the papas). Unfortunately Scythe is super long and the promise of player interaction hasn't been realized. People interested in Scythe should check out Deus for a similar euro game with player interaction and satisfying action combo-building
>>
>>50440353
https://youtu.be/S3SLagHrxIQ?t=284

This explains it fairly well. But when you explode a 5 and you roll a blank you lose the die completely, including the 5 it was before. So if you don't want to play it risky you can discard a bunch of dice to get one die up to 7. Low risk low reward compared to exploding a bunch of 5s.
>>
>>50440458
>Scythe is super long
Just stfu and gtfo you godamn casual shitter.
>>
>>50440458
>>50440519
How long does it take? I'll admit the art and theme caught my attention more than the gameplay, but it looked interesting enough from a mechanical perspective. I don't think I'd buy it at full price but I'd be up to try it out anytime.
>>
>>50440519
Bitch I got a dozen games in my bag and Meetups are only 6 hours long. You want me to play? fucking invite me over whenever your landlord is done fumigating your stanky ass sty
>>
>>50440560
Definitely try before buy. Figure an hour per player, 90min/player if you're all first timers
>>
>>50440463
Thanks I'll check it out
>>
>>50440634
I think you need to stop playing with braindeads. There is absolutely no way in hell it takes even remotely that long.
>>
>>50440675
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQR6oFpp4U

Here's a complete playthrough.
>>
>>50440266
The hate on Myth comes from being competitive pvp, these fucks were bullied by evil Warhammer players and now seek shelter from any game that's not solo or co-op.
>>
>recent
I PnP'd Skirmish Wars: Colonize and have been assembling it over the past couple Saturdays, finally assembled enough for 2P and had a game on Saturday, was a blast! need to finish the other two armies and get some sweet 2v2 or FFA action going on

>wishlist
super hyped for my pre-order of Cave Evil: Warcults to ship, will take a few weeks to get to 'straya but I'm pretty sure it'll be GOTY for me, I've also bought Zimby Mojo and that's most likely gonna be runner-up GOTY. ETA for that is the last fortnight of December so it's possible I won't see it until January

also backing Satan Lantern tier on KD:M though it's possible that I'll reduce to Ancient Gold Lantern + new expansions depending on my total budget

>fell out of love
nothing really yet at this point, though I'm sure something in my collection is bound to be awfully neglected at some point in the future unless MTG counts

>>50419261
well shit, my bad

>>50419263
that's unfortunate to hear anon :(

>>50419346
it's a hex-and-counter wargame where you control demonic armies and vie for control over the underworld, thematically incredible if you're into black metal

I'm not 100% certain on the mechanics yet but if it's anything like the original Cave Evil game, it'll involve dice-based combat where you compare the stats of your unit(s) to opposing unit(s) by choosing a stat out of six of your choice, each player rolling a D12 and seeing who wins, then the defender chooses an adjacent stat and both players roll another D12, if it's 1-1 then the attacker chooses the second adjacent stat to the first stat and then another D12 is rolled

videos show a lot of similarities between the original Cave Evil except that units aren't tied to squads and can move freely, though stacking rules apply like squads

>>50433135
it's a shame that the original game has absurd secondary market prices as it has triple the amount of cards as Warcults, doesn't look like there's any event cards though
>>
>>50441253
>backing Satan Lantern tier
Sup, mister moneybags. I bet not being a poorfag feels good huh? Fuck you and your fat wallet!yes, I so very jelly
>>
File: ohwaityoureserious.jpg (31KB, 363x310px) Image search: [Google]
ohwaityoureserious.jpg
31KB, 363x310px
>>50438944
>>
>>50441932
I've had Scythe on my wishlist for a while now but there's always been something I wanted more so it got pushed back again and again. Why do you think it's not a good game?
>>
>>50441965
I'm just trolling. Scythe is near the top of my wishlist too.
>>
>tfw no good cyber Monday deals
>>
>>50442086
I got The Voyages of Marco Polo for €27.
>>
>>50441932
We're talking about Scythe, not Blood Rage.
>>
Can anyone explain to me exactly what the gamblers chest stuff is including in the game for the KDM kickstarter? Not literally, because I know we don't know everything that's in it and that's kind of the point, but for someone who's never played the game before, does it seem like it's actually going to have worthwhile stuff in it, or is it just cosmetic sort of things? For example, I have no idea what a pinup is in the context of the game; I'm guessing it's NOT a poster?

It's probably too early to really give me a good answer, I understand that, but if anyone can shed a little insight on it I'd be really appreciative. I'd like to back the game, as I missed out on the first run. Most of the expansions seem pretty damn expensive without adding a ton of content, as far as I'm able to tell. It kind of looks like they generally just add a new encounter, and the bulk of the price is getting whatever new insanely detailed model it comes with. With the gambler's chest being 100$ it seems like it could be a good deal for the money if it has a real impact on content.
>>
>>50442862
>What is a Kingdom Death Pinup?

>Kingdom Death Pinups are light-hearted reinterpretations of aspects of the deadly serious game. They are not cannon, meaning they do not belong to the world of Kingdom Death and are not playable characters in the game.

>These are meant for hobbyists and collectors to enjoy, assemble, and paint. They’re created in fun and meant in the spirit of light-hearted send up of everything from monsters to armor sets from the grimdark Kingdom Death world
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmnNhYrkfT0
REEEE WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO MANUFACTURE MORE POCKET EDITIONS OF HIVE?!
>>
>>50442955
Thank you for the spoon-feed. I guess I should follow up by saying that really the bottom line is I'm just trying to get the most content for my money. I understand the components are crazy high quality which is what makes the price so high, but if I'm gonna be spending so much money on a game, it damn well better be something I play for a whole lot of time, especially if anytime I want to throw down for an expansion it costs another 50-100$
>>
>>50433698
Coup is a lot of fun with the right people, I haven't played the rest though
>>
File: buhu.jpg (19KB, 567x356px) Image search: [Google]
buhu.jpg
19KB, 567x356px
>tfw live in Brazil and would have to pay 5 times the regular price for anything that's not a basic party game(if I can find it, that is).

I'm glad Tabletop Simulator is a thing.
>>
>>50433275
If I spend more than 30 minutes in a game of Carcassone my brain enters sleep mode.
>>
File: ce01_main[1].png (192KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ce01_main[1].png
192KB, 300x300px
What's the best board game ever released, in your opinion?
>>
>>50444656
That's a good one if you like fighting over interactions, rules wordings, and timings like me. Seriously, had a lot of fun watching my friend melt down playing this Friday night. He just came off a double shift working retail on Black Friday and he was getting creamed. Someone asked if he had a negotiate one too many times.

Best board game released might be Carcassone or Telestrations or something
>>
>>50445033
>eurogame
>best at anything
>>
>>50445033
>Telestrations
yup
>>
>>50445033
>>50445125

>Electing a party game as best board game

Fucking casuls
>>
>>50445189
It's not my personal favorite, but it's a game literally anyone will play and have fun with.
it may be a rip-off of a public domain game, but it's one of those infinitely replayable games that will never go away now that it's here
>>
File: 1474831504848.jpg (157KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1474831504848.jpg
157KB, 720x960px
anyone have the "board games for pairs" image? i remember it featured netrunner, and im looking for similar suggestions. ta.
>>
File: 1476591887708.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
1476591887708.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>50445402
>>
>>50442862
No one is entirely sure what will be in it yet. Along with a few cards for fighting styles, items, ect., the box is confirmed to add Philosophies of Death as part of the new "Kingdom Death Advanced" ruleset. So yes, there will be content. You may get a better value by purchasing one of the expansion though (The Dung Beetle one is a $30 addon and is a good idea). We still don't know exactly what will be in it, but it will all be known at the end, and you can add on to your pledge then.
>>
File: collectionsofar.jpg (865KB, 1736x1634px) Image search: [Google]
collectionsofar.jpg
865KB, 1736x1634px
>>50444656
I'm not good at arguing objectivity in games. The 3 games that have the most plays from my group though is Cosmic Encounter, Seasons, and Onitama. Onitama is kinda cheating given how short the playtime is, but people keep wanting to play more of it.
>>
>>50434330
pls??
>>
>>50444656
I'm gonna have to go with Virgin Queen. The only bad thing about it is its accessibility, but I cannot think of another game with the same depth:rules ratio. Even my non-wargamer friends like it
>>
>>50446897
Wanted to get either that or Here I Stand. Then I came to the conclusion that even a 3 player war game would be next to impossible to bring to the table.

I kind of still want it, though
>>
File: pic2821927_lg.jpg (175KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic2821927_lg.jpg
175KB, 1024x768px
>>50448132
I'm thankful that in my circle of friends a bunch have the patience for this kind of game. 6 player Virgin Queen is glorious, even though I only get to play it a couple of times a year

I'd recommend Pax Romana if you have difficulty finding 5/6 players. While Virgin Queen spans from 2-6 technically, it really works best at 5/6. Pax Romana, on the other hand, spans from 2-4, but is good at all these player counts due to the variety in scenarios. The COIN games are also good at a variety of player counts.
>>
>>50448230
I'm probably getting Triumph and Tragedy as mentioned here
>>50433503
sadly, my gaming group is in a stasis - no new people - and it might be hard to expand to other genres.
>>
>>50440846
>>50440463

You seem well prepared my ordinary and fellow poster.
>>
>>50448347
Jesus paranoid much? A couple of people here are either exited by the game (though most are trolling)
>>
>>50444603
You could start building stuff yourself and using scanned rules. I guess once you get proficient enough it will be quite fast.
>>
>>50432854

Lads I've really fallen out of me boardgamin' recently in favour of D&D. But I'd really like to get back into it.

So I'd like to ask what it is you really like about 'em as a way of reminding me how great they are. And what's your ideal length of time playing one?
>>
>>50448622
I wanted to do that with Dune after looking at how a couple of people made their own DIY versions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1003956/xthawx
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199567/62nd-monthly-pimp-my-boardgame-contest-october-201
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1003956/xthawx

I have no motivation to actually pull through without having a step-by-step guide though.
>>
>>50448658
I'd start with something small ike Hive (or any other game with few components) or a generic solution for hex and counter games, which would make you able to play a lot of games.
>>
>>50448742
Sorry, not the anon you replied earlier. I could.

Mentioned Dune because:
> You guys were talking about DIY games
> the guys that did their own DIY versions on bgg did so beautifully
> I really want it and it's OOP
>>
File: qvGQgNH.png.jpg (390KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
qvGQgNH.png.jpg
390KB, 1280x853px
Hey boys, just got back from my first twilight imperium match with my 5 friends and man my brain is fucking dead. I've done some massive googling but clearly not enough to ever prepare myself for all of those rules.

Can we only produce units once every phase and can we only do it once before status phase?

When we move ships can they be moved into systems that you own but aren't activated.

Also with PDS units with deepspace tech when exactly do you use the deep space tech and does it count as an "action", we used it as a reaction shot when they came into your system but we didn't use it during space battles because they weren't in the same HEX as the fleets that were fighting. I've got another 5 friends coming over on the weekend to play some so I'm trying to get the rules in my head so I'm ready for a great time.
>>
>>50438956
Any news on the rpg? I was thinking of backing this. Mostly because I love Greek mythology and the models are nice.
>>
>>50448963
You can produce units in a system with production capacity every time you activate it, or when a strategy or other card allows you to produce units.

There is no production before the status phase unless you're using variant rules.

When you move ships, you activate the destination system - thus ships can me moved OUT of systems that you are not activating (so long as those systems have not already been activated by you) but you cannot move ships INTO systems you are not activating.

PDS with the Deep Space Cannon can take their shot when another player activates a system within their range, allowing you to take a shot after they finish moving ships. They do not participate in space battles.

Good luck next game!
>>
>>50448638
>So I'd like to ask what it is you really like about 'em as a way of reminding me how great they are.
An excuse to meet my friends regularly. A good way to do fun problem-solving. A bit of thematic immersion.

I'd take an RPG over board games (or in addition) anytime if I could get a group going, but they all have different schedules.

>And what's your ideal length of time playing one?
Between 1 and 2 hours preferably, but I don't mind long sessions depending on the game. I've played a couple games of Assault on Doomrock from start to finish, which took more than 6 hours each time.
>>
File: hello darkness my old friend.jpg (148KB, 600x443px) Image search: [Google]
hello darkness my old friend.jpg
148KB, 600x443px
>>50448963
kek I think your friend has given up
>>
>>50450701
That's not his friend, that's from an album of some dude who made a ridiculous overproduction set of TI3 a few years back.
>>
>>50450755
ah well hes given up then
>>
>>50450410
>next game
yeah, you keep telling yourself that there'll be a next game
>>
>>50450701
His smile and optimism: gone.
>>
File: gods mythic battles.jpg (3MB, 2560x2160px) Image search: [Google]
gods mythic battles.jpg
3MB, 2560x2160px
>>50438956
So which god best suits your playstyle?
>>
File: aCsMykA.png (853KB, 1357x746px) Image search: [Google]
aCsMykA.png
853KB, 1357x746px
>>50451540
Best god of best game coming through
>>
>>50451540
>Watch a game played
>Unit drafting at the beginning is neat
>Method of activation and art of ward cards is interesting
>Tactical decisions and decision making in general seem to be very limited
>Appears that the game outcome relies on dice and draws rather heavily rather than player decisions and tactics

Pretty game, but it's a huge investment for a game that pretends to be deeper than it actually is.
>>
>>50451743
>Tactical decisions and decision making in general seem to be very limited
>Appears that the game outcome relies on dice and draws

It's another plastic pusher shitter, what did you expect.
>>
>>50452405
Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks fun to play, but really it's only a little step above Summoner Wars and should have had much more reasonable production values.
>>
>>50446560
I don't own a scanner
>>
>>50451739
What game?
>>
>>50452696
Santorini
>>
>>50452720
>Santorini
Looks sweet
>>
>>50432854
Scythe, Hero Realms, Junk Art, Blood Rage, 51st State, 7 wonders duel with expansion..
I really don't know.. I kinda want a lot of things but nothing that I'm really really absolutely do want. Been that kind of year.. I'm waiting for my 7th Continent to get here and cheer me up (spring can't come quick enough).
I need to mix it up alot I get bored of a game really quickly. Though I haven't really loved something and fallen out with it..
>Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing.
Getting every important location constantly wrecked in 51st State by a friend, eventually turn the tables, wreck his bonuses for wrecking shit up, completely turning things around and crushing it with the least favorable faction. I like the extra interaction in 51st State vs Imperial Settlers.

Surviving on 1 hit point and 1 card, trning it around and still playing allmost my entire deck for a seriously surprise victory in Hero Realms the other day.
>>
>>50451743
>pretends to be deeper than it actually is

How? It's marketed as a highly thematic skirmish game. They never claim it's the second coming of chess. Personally I think the mechanics are very cool. But then again the only skirmish game I know is Mage Wars.
I think MB has potential.
>>
>>50444656
>tfw my friends no longer want to risk negotiating with me since the first time i played i abused the hell out of bluffing and attacking negotiates
>>
>>50450701
>This truly is a Twilight Struggle
>>
>>50451540
What's with the lightning, hourglass, and hand symbols?
>>
>>50453039
Lightning means the ability replaces the unit's normal attack. Hourglass means it's a passive power that's always active (passive power that's always active... sounds dumb but you know what I mean). Hand means can only be used during your own turn.
>>
File: crabs!.jpg (93KB, 736x960px) Image search: [Google]
crabs!.jpg
93KB, 736x960px
>>50451540
I like how the God designs slowly shift from vaguely in keeping with traditional Greek depictions to just going totally crazy with Poseidon and Hephaestus. I guess "muscular Greek man with beard" is a little plane to keep repeating over and over.
>>50433135
Hey cool, another Conan player! I kickstarted it. Have to say, it was worth the wait. We've been having a blast.
Interesting that your game was so tight, every time we play it the Overlord has gotten stomped. Did Conan smash through any walls? That was our favorite rule.
>>
Interpol (or one of its variants, which is the best one? And why is it rated so low, always seemed to be simple but fun back in the days. Does it have any major faults? ) or escape from colditz?
>>
>>50452672
Anything that can take pictures would probably serve anon just as well.
>>
>>50432854
I got way too many games in this weekend. Friday through Sunday, played Onitama, Baseball Highlights 2045, Blood Rage, Scythe, and Mysterium.
Galaxy Trucker Missions and the expansion to Millennium Blades whenever that comes out.
Arkham Horror. It was an old favorite of my group and the second real boardgame our group got to play. Looking back on it though, none of us really want to pull it out ever again. The last time we tried playing it, we just realized how clunky it was. I ended up buying Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition to replace it anyways. We like the more down to earth "escape this situation" setting as opposed to the sillyness of literally fighting and killing the elder god in the end.
One very small detail I didn't like in Mansions of Madness 2nd was that the fire spreads according to our will. You can literally use it to your advantage by picking what tile it spreads to. My solution to this? I handed our group asshole the tokens and told him he was in charge of spreading fire. He sometimes put it in our favor, but other times put the fire right on top of a stack of 3 of us. He's a lovable kinda jerk so we all had a laugh any time that happened.
>>
Between Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror, which do you think is the better game? I've loved playing Arkham with my friends for a long time but Eldritch Horror was recently brought to the table and everyone except me seems to like it more.
>>
File: x-com minis.png (1MB, 1212x600px) Image search: [Google]
x-com minis.png
1MB, 1212x600px
>>50432854

Desperately need some advice, time sensitive matter

today is my Brother's birthday, and have bought several items I think he'll enjoy but I'm not certain.

First up, XCOM the board game

We both love the vidya game, and the theme is directly up my brother's alley. I like the fact that it is a co-operative experience, with the OPTION to play single player (but all my research indicates this is a terrible way to play) so maybe just maybe when my brother is sick of it I can play solo myself, or he can bust it out when he has some time off and play himself.

I looked up several reviews before coming here, and they all give mixed praise -- amazing contents, top quality, great visuals, concept and unique philosophy are all appealing. HOWEVER: the gamerules are poorly written and play is tedious and stressful as fuck.

So now for my questions.

Is this game fun at all to play single player and not in fact a serious life-shaver?

Does the game have much replay value with only 2 people max?

Are there resources out there that help FIX any of the aforementioned issues? Like an alternative to the application for instance?
Is the app as bad as people have reviewed it to be?

Thank you in advance, /bbg/, I am sorry if this reads like ass, I am in a bit of a rush as I will leave to go give him his present in a few hours.
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (601KB, 950x1701px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.jpg
601KB, 950x1701px
>>50451540
New stretch goal!
>>
>>50453728
Like Arkham more, it is deeper imho
Eldritch is a very fun game, but since it is global I kind of miss depth. For novice players I would suggest Eldritch though, it is easier to get into.
>>
>>50432854

>friends have gotten into boardgames recently
>have a large enough group to play
>always liked board games
>get excited
>friends only have time to play once a week
>thats alright, at least we are playing
>every week someone buys a new game they want everyone to try
>the games are never simple, always have complicated as fuck rules
>end up playing an "intro" game that lasts five hours because no one knows the rules and the guy who brought it didnt look them up before hand
>end up only playing one round of one game each time
>next time we get together someone else has brough another new game they insist on playing
>same exact thing happens
>never get to play the same game twice because someone always brings a new one "we have to try"
>every weeks its just 5 hours of learning how to play a game we are never going to play again

Fuck me.
>>
>>50454109
Wow, looks like you're pretty terrible at managing your relationships and game time.
>>
>>50454027
>HOWEVER: the gamerules are poorly written and play is tedious and stressful as fuck.
THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. GAMEPLAY IS GRINDY AND TEDIOUS AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

>Is this game fun at all to play single player and not in fact a serious life-shaver?

I dont see how anyone could enjoy playing it single player. There are 4 distinct "roles" the players have to fill. Doing them all yourself seems boring.

>Does the game have much replay value with only 2 people max?
It's different each time so there is replay value if you enjoy it.

>Are there resources out there that help FIX any of the aforementioned issues? Like an alternative to the application for instance?
Is the app as bad as people have reviewed it to be?

None that im aware of. Youre stuck with the app.
>>
>>50454162
story of my fucking life
>>
>>50454095
I agree that Eldritch is probably easier to learn, but I also find Arkham more enjoyable in its theme because I prefer the "smaller" stage of everything being centralized in one city (the air quotes are there since both games still have you visiting other dimensions). Mechanically, there's just... something I like more about Arkham. I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I think it could have something to do with the movement options; it feels like you can get around faster in Arkham. I also really like Arkham's personal quests, which Eldritch lacks.
>>
>>50454027
I've never had a problem with the app. I've played about a dozen times and it has always functioned smoothly. I downloaded the windows executable of the program and I run it though my TV so the music and sounds are audible to everyone and give the comm officer a wireless mouse to operate it. I wouldn't play without the app if at all possible since it really adds some immersiveness into the game.

Yes the written rules are meh. But the app has a tutorial that runs through the gameplay in a very well done easy to grasp method.

For two players I think it would have a good longevity. It definitely works best with four players but two isn't bad.

For solo it would definitely be stressful due to having to handle all the roles by yourself. I've never tried solo so I can't make a call on that.
>>
>>50454194
Well, have you tried suggesting rules to your group like "Don't bring a new game to the table without being familiar enough with the rules to teach it" or "Send everyone a copy of the rules or a gameplay video if you plan to bring a new game"? It may sound obvious but apparently they need it pointed out and it doesn't sound like you did.
>>
>>50454182
>GAMEPLAY IS GRINDY AND TEDIOUS AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
I disagree. While you do much of the same steps each round of the game, the board state, order of operations, and options available change each round. The same thing can be said of nearly all worker placement games. Which is somewhat of what XCOM is, just in real time.

You heard it here first folks: XCOM is a real time worker placement game.

>Doing them all yourself seems boring.
So doing one thing is exciting but doing four different things is boring? I can definitely see stressful but I don't see how doing more is 'boring'. In my opinion the risk of 'tedium' is low due to the restrictions of the time limit, making sure each round has a finite length.
>>
File: 1476113971302.png (160KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
1476113971302.png
160KB, 500x677px
>>50454279
>tfw people will never know how much time you spend on making sure you know a game well enough to play it smoothly and explain it thoroughly

And then they say you're taking advantage of the fact that you know the game better than them and they dogpile you and you almost never win.

But for real I love playing board games.
>>
>>50454206
it is comfy
It is my go-to game, after smash-up and time's up
>>
>>50454109
What games?
>>
>>50454406
>nd then they say you're taking advantage of the fact that you know the game better.
This is why I almost always invite a full playercount + myself when I've got a new game.
On top of getting rid of the "home field" advantage it makes it easier to teach nuance and basic strategy midgame and keep things flowing quickly.
>>
god damn I really want pandemic iberia, and I'm worried it's mainly because it's so pretty. I do enjoy pandemic, but I don't love it
>>
I was completely obsessed with board games for about 4 years. Then we just stopped playing them all of a sudden, and now I just don't care.

Anyone have a similar experience?
>>
>>50450410

Thanks for your help cleared up a lot of things for me. Hopefully that'll be everything. Very excited for our next game this weekend. Do you think the expansion shattered empire is worth getting? And I think there's the other one aswell. Just wondering if they're good to play.
>>
>>50454918
>Anyone have a similar experience?

Only with specific games, not with the hobby as a whole.
>>
>>50454922
I'm a big fan of both expansions, but the first one, shattered empire, is absolutely the more important of the two.
>>
File: fairytale.jpg (41KB, 349x450px) Image search: [Google]
fairytale.jpg
41KB, 349x450px
>>50445671
Can someone explain the appeal of this game to me? I've tried it a few times with different people and none of us can find the appeal in it at all.
>>
>>50455135
it's anime
that's about it
>>
Anyone here played Vital Lacerda's games? Can /bgg/ redpill me on them?

Kanban, Vinhos, The Gallerist, CO2 are all pretty well rated, Lisboa is about to be published by Eagle Gryphon (which /bgg/ seems to hate for some reason) and he's kind of hyped as a designer right now.

Now, I enjoy heavier euros, but I'm kind of on the edge about his work. They're very aesthetically pleasing, have a lot of wooden bits, they seem real deep -which I enjoy- but sort of clunky -which I don't-.

Besides, I'm really the only guy in my group that enjoys heavy euros, so I'm not sure I want a box that's just gonna gather dust
>>
>>50455052

Great, when would you say it's best to grab the expansion? Maybe wait to see if everyone would play the game a few more times?
>>
>>50455486
Naturally if you don't have people to play with then the expansions aren't much return on investment, but I'd say introducing the first one sooner rather than later is good, being able to replace the Imperial strategy card with something else so it's not an automatic pick for +2VP improves the game a great deal - though it can also lengthen it.

Plus the same advice I give everyone, that I think the game works best at four players and on a two-ring galaxy. Making everyone start closer together and up in each other's faces does a lot to speed things up and add aggression.
>>
>>50455534
What would you say about a 3-ring, 4 player using the simulated starting turns option?
>>
>>50440729
this. Clocked in at around 2 hours with 5 players every time.
>>
>>50438956
I backed this because those French guys don't care about that political correctness shit. Most of the females look like super hot strippers and all the gods are white. One female mini is even topless and a bunch of prude faggots (probably Americans) were all offended in the comments. They didn't give a shit and said if they're gonna have problems getting the game into retail in the states they'll just remove that mini from the box rather than cover the tits. I love it.
I hope the game is good too.
>>
>eing able to replace the Imperial strategy card with something else so it's not an automatic pick for +2VP improves the game a great deal - though it can also lengthen it.
But the game's designed around that being a psuedo-timer.
>>
Holy fucking shit, is the art in Sentinels of the Multiverse the worst fucking art in the world? It was disgusting to hold those cards.
I had fun tho
>>
>>50455583
Don't like it near as much. Better than without simulated turns for sure, but still feels much slower and more comfortable. TI3 is at its best when every system is desperately valuable.
>>
>>50456151
Don't care, it makes the game less interesting. Strategy card choose should be an interesting decision, not an obligatory procedure where half the table is following a flowchart irrespective of boardstate 90% of the time.
>>
>>50454109
>Fuck me.
No, you're ugly and socially akward.
>>
>>50456044
It looks fun and if the components are as good as Conan's, it'll replace Mage Wars as my light fantasy skirmish of choice.
>>
>>50457824
>Mage Wars
>Light skirmish
>>
>>50454182
>>50454240

thanks for the responses, I didn't have enough time to respond before I left.

I ended up making him a hobbyist carepackage -- White dwarf, three different kinds of minis to paint up, new brushes, palette and an artist carrying case with many different compartments for organization; easy for working on a small projects and pack it away when life nags you.

I think I'm going to straight up return XCOM and get something else.
>>
>>50455135
Its drafting: the game. The funest part of MtG without all the bullshit.

>>50455197
That would be sushi-go my friend, another drafting game very similar.
>>
>>50453121
>Hey cool, another Conan player!
My friends bought it.
They buy a ridiculous amount of board games, I'll probably never see Conan again.
>>
>>50455135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M327-9uMzI
Start at 3:00
>>
>>50438956
$100 for this or you can buy descent for $60 and get the same plastic trash plus a shitload of actual boards and content. Now you see why plastic components don't make a game more worth it.
>>
>>50459248
To be fair, there's a shit ton more plastic in that greek fustercluck, and descent minis are meh quality.
Also, to fully expand on Descent, you'll likely spend around $300.
>>
>>50459467
And if you just want plastic the KD:M KS is the way to go.
>>
>>50455414
Bampin question.
Anyone?
>>
>>50459467
Actually Descent + Labyrinth, which is about what you'd need for the same content, is $100. Source: I have it + Nerekhall
>>
>>50459783
We counting all the stretch goals and exclusives?
>>
>>50459544
>>50459248
Descent and KD are co-op dungeon crawler/area control games. Mythic Battles is a pvp skirmish.

If you need to go across genres to shit on it, it can't be that bad.
>>
>>50460060
Hence needing Labyrinth for that. So yes. And that's published by FFG and is a tried and true game. Whether I would recommend it or not (probably not without house rules) is irrelevant since it's the same content. With far far more boards.
>>
>>50460122
>Descent and KD are co-op dungeon crawler/area control games.
No. No it isn't. Descent is a racing game with obstacle course. I've played a hundred hours of Descent with the 3 largest sets and even used the app. The closest Descent gets to a dungeon crawl without major houseruling overhauls (complete with custom components) is when you use the new android app to generate campaigns.

It's one of my biggest complaints about the game and the single most major factor preventing it from being 10/10 for me. It's marketed like a crawl but it's definitely a Players vs Player race obstacle course.

Nevertheless, I don't think it matters what genre the game is. People are promoting it based on its price-to-component ratio. Which is a very garbage way of promoting a game. Twilight Imperium 3 has more plastic (about double to triple), more chits, more cardboard and has an established reputation. Just with the core game by itself which is now going for $64. Source: I own it and every expansion.
>>
>>50460122
>KD
>co-op dungeon crawl/area control
>>
>>50454918
Yeah most of the people who feel that way won't be here
>>50455414
>red pill me
Great way to get ignored on /tg/
I've played Kanban which is neat and I'd absolutely *play* the others but not buy them. I definitely don't like EGG/FRED, but more because I'd have a lot of trouble getting Vital's games played.
His games are long and complicated. First time I played Kanban, my brain melted. That game definitely feels as though it's 5 or 6 different mechanisms bolted together, but it's appropriate for the theme. I can see how Vinhos can be the same way.
>I'm really the only guy in the group who enjoys heavy euros
Not worth it then
>>
>>50460270
>guy who made kanban is the guy behind lisboa
I'd say "thanks for saving me $80" but the game is so beautiful I and my friends all love heavy euros.
>>
>>50438956
Fuck, I just don't want to hear about this game ever again. Gonna be so glad when the fucking Kickstarter finally ends.
>>
File: GiV4ibu[1].jpg (121KB, 600x891px) Image search: [Google]
GiV4ibu[1].jpg
121KB, 600x891px
>reveal identical encounter cards
>activate my super flare and take the dude's planet
>he then plays a +3 reinforcement to go over me
>my claw is a +3
>win the game

Snippety snip, motherfucker. I love the Claw.
>>
>>50460300
>but the game is so beautiful
I know, I'm really on the fence about it... It's just so pretty!
>>
>>50460391
>>
So is sushi go party or fairy tale any good for a group where half are non gamers while the other half loves anything?
If so which one should i get? (Usually have 5-6 people over every weekend)
>>
>>50462071
Also, or should i just get cosmic dominion instead?
My friends loves CE while i personally dont give a shit but im always up and passionate about any games im involved in.
>>
>>50462071
Fairy Tale only goes to 5, so Sushi Go! Party
>>
>>50462071
here's my observation with only having played 7 wonders

people who love fairy tale seem to be semi-hipsters. it's probably a fine game, but a lot of the praise it gets is simply "it did drafting before 7 wonders"

sushi go is the perfect gateway drafting game, and with the recent sushi go party it's the obvious choice if you'll be playing with people who are new to modern games

7 wonders has more going on, and more room for more going on with the expansions. still a quick game and not super hard, but it is harder to explain than sushi go.
>>
>>50455414
Kanban is pretty great because it has a theme and mechanics that mesh well together. CO2 is similarly great. I haven't played Vinhos (original or updated) but I do have the Gallerist and from what I can tell he seems to be straying into "chuck mechanics onto a board and see what sticks" territory. This is further reinforced by looking at Lisboa.
>>
>>50432854
over break I played: Dune, Terra Mystica, and Paris Connection
A lot of stuff, not much that's new
You can only play Betrayal at House on the HIll so many times before you really start getting sick of it. Unfortunately that's one of the most played games at the school club
Playing Shadows over Camelot with two traitors (one of whom was myself) I got outed by someone who accused me successfully, but then that person turned out to be the other traitor nobody knew about, so two black swords got flipped and we ended up winning.
>>
>>50432854
Any interested OGRE Bros - the OGRE Minis KS is down to the last hours and has reached over 100K.
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (201KB, 616x820px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.jpg
201KB, 616x820px
Aphrodite unlocked!
>>
>>50464424
Unsubscribe
>>
>>50464515
YOU JUST SUBSCRIBED TO MYTHIC BATTLES FACTS!
>>
>>50454918
Yep. Getting back into it again now though.

I'm like that with a lot of hobbies.
>>
File: marco polo.png (863KB, 557x788px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
863KB, 557x788px
Just bought this. Did I do good /tg/?
>>
>>50464837
Yes
>>
>>50438956

>No Perseus or Theseus heroes anywhere
>Even though Medusa and the Minotaur are in the coreset
>Leonidas even though he isn't from Greek Myths
>No Poseidon
>The Orion model looks more like Hercules than Hercules does.
>Circe is a "hero"
>Arachne is a "monster"
>Amazons but no Hippolyta
>Helios doesn't have a chariot

Jesus fucking christ how do you fumble Greek Mythology this fucking hard.
>>
>>50464927
>>50464424
No Hippolyta?
>>
>>50464955

I was just going by the initial image posted.

I thought the KS was over.

Still though, Perseus and Theseus (and Jason for that matter) are the biggest heroes of Greek Myth, not including them in the coreset feels like a mistake, especially when the two monsters they're most well known for slaying (The Minotaur and the Medusa) are.
I can sort of see why they included Atalanta as the female character choice, although I think Medea might have been better for the coreset.
>>
>>50465013
>Perseus and Theseus are the biggest heroes of Greek Myth

Which is why from a business sense it make sense to have them in expansion boxes to drive their sales.
>>
File: 567456.png (401KB, 639x445px) Image search: [Google]
567456.png
401KB, 639x445px
>>50464927
>No Perseus or Theseus heroes anywhere
In expansions. All the biggest heroes are there
>No Poseidon
In Poseidon Expansion
>The Orion model looks more like Hercules than Hercules does.
"I know what Hercules looks like because I've met him once."
>Circe is a "hero"
She is no monster and there is no "human" class so hero fit best
>Arachne is a "monster"
Just as much as Medusa
>Amazons but no Hippolyta
She's the most recent stretch goal
>Helios doesn't have a chariot
Explained in the fluff. See pic. Or are they not allowed to add their own fluff to Greek mythology?
>>
Yo /tg/ i need your help.

Games I play frequently (and enjoy) are
- Scythe
- Carcassonne + exp
- Kingdom Builder + exp
- Settlers of Catan + exp

>Currently waiting for (pre-ordered)
- Scythe expansion
- That funny looking miniature game with greek gods and stuff from kickstarter

Now this is where you can help me. I have no idea
Nice to have:
- realistic/semirealistic base (no "abstract" games)
- strategy stuff is nice
- could be played with casuals (little more complex is fine too)
- bonus for stuff with nice landscapes and/or resources, maybe medieval setting

How about Terra Mystica? Also had an eye on Dominion. What else could you recommend?

(pic semi-related, I don't have a gf but thats not the point)
>>
>>50465089
>"I know what Hercules looks like because I've met him once."

On closer inspection Hercules isn't that bad, but I'm not aware of Orion the hunter ever using a club and being that big. Herc SHOULD be wearing the hide of the Nemean Lion though. I assume at least that the monster of the same name as a drop.

>She is no monster and there is no "human" class so hero fit best

She was a witch who turned members of Odysseus's crew into pigs, she's about as much of a hero as Zeus is a supporter of womens rights.

>Just as much as Medusa

THAT I'll grant you.
>>
>>50465252
Orion was a giant and he was known for hunting with a bronze club. There's a veteran version of Hercules where he is indeed wearing the hide of the lion.

Circe used magic but she is too "normal" to be a monster. Don't take the term hero too literally. It's also for anyone who is human, or mostly human, and who doesn't really fit into another category.
>>
>>50464837
Not really. Maybe two or three plays before the cracks start appearing.
>>
>>50465252
Heros in greek mythology is anyone with half-god blood.
Hero is the game is just a class I guess.
>>
>>50433225

use a bag if the back of the tiles have noticable difference
>>
>>50465756
its not the back thats the problem those actually look fine. its just that the front is so much darker that the board ends up looking really ugly
>>
>>50465431
Oh, why? I heard many good things about it.
>>
>>50465896
Leave them in the sun til the ink fades a bit.
bad advice: the post
>>
>>50465910
The variable powers differ wildly in usefulness. Depending on your starting personage and travelling cards you can essentially be shut out from winning (unless your opponents are as sharp as a bag of stones) from the beginning.
>>
>>50445671
How do I get better at Dixit? All I can think when I see the cards is "wtf."
>>
>>50467055
There's no cure for autism, sorry friendo.
>>
>>50466199
The personas that struggle getting to destinations excel at pumping out contracts, which in my experience makes them just as viable.
>>
>>50467155
:(
>>
>>50467055
I tend to associate them with movies or movie scenes a lot. Proverbs also come to mind easily but I feel like they're often too obvious. I think it helps if you try to reference what's going on in the illustration rather than the /things/ in it. Say, if you play the man reading the newspaper on a bench and say anything about a newspaper, you're giving it away immediately. But calling something about "educating yourself" opens up relations with anything that pertains to knowledge or life experiences. Calling it a "morning routine" throws people off because it's nighttime on the card, but some players will understand that reading the paper is a stereotypical morning routine.

If you just want to win at all costs and be a Dix about It, pick another player you've known for a while and figure out any connection at all with something you've experienced together that others haven't. That allows you to give really obvious hints that others still can't interpret because they're missing the context, thus you're sure to get the most points. For example I once played a desert card and simply named a desert city in an obscure MMO I used to play with a friend. He figured it out immediately and everyone else basically had to play random cards and vote at random. Of course you run the risk that other cards happen to coincide with your theme, but on the other hand you have several random votes to fall back on if your "partner" picks the wrong card.

(This was How to Make Dixit Unfun for Everyone Else 101. Have a nice day.)
>>
>>50467614
I'm gonna pick up the Revelations expansion and then get really drunk/high next time I play. That might work.
>>
>>50467614
>Metagaming in Dixit
That is a new level of assholery and I like it.
>>
File: phoenix.jpg (1MB, 2404x2196px) Image search: [Google]
phoenix.jpg
1MB, 2404x2196px
Less than 24 hours to go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon

And new stretch goal revealed!
>>
>>50469249
When considering buying a game, I always ask myself "would I play this if you replaced the nice bits with cardboard."
Guess what my answer is for Mythic Battles.
>>
>>50469283
The combat system is great so I don't see why not. Tons of awesome different units with cool abilities that allow for many different strategies.
>>
>>50469283
Yes?
Considering its a reprint of of a fairly well received game that used cardboard chits instead of minis.
>>
>>50469249
how come people post nonstop calling Tom Vasel a shill, but when actual shilling comes to the thread they let it happen?
>>
>>50469386
What's it a reprint of?
>>
>>50469432
That's Tom Vasel posting.
>>
>>50469459
doesn't answer my question
>>
>>50469432
There's a difference between a famous reviewer reviewing games for money and some anons spamming and shitposting about a game they are hyped about. Or maybe they are just trolling, who cares. Anyway, that's the difference.
>>
>>50469455
Mythic Battles whose common complaints were a lack of variety in unit options and a feeling that the game would be more aesthetically pleasing if it used minis instead of pogs.
>>
>>50469249
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon
i dont get the kickstarter exclusive stuff thats in the core game.

does this mean these will never be available again? or that you need to get them in an expansion instead of getting it in the base.

i am alrdy in KD so i dont see myself backing this
>>
>>50469564
They didn't just change the looks, they changed a lot about the gameplay. It's almost an entirely different game now.
>>
>>50469592
same for the manticore? are you telling me they wont actually sell that thing ?
>>
>>50469497
the difference is that one of them takes money from youtube and his viewers, and is seen as providing a service to his viewers, while the other is just a nuisance whose time is probably better spent job searching
>>
>>50469592
KS exclusive stuff will never again be available after this campaign.
>>
>>50469622
The question was about being a shill, not about being a nuisance.
>>
>>50469249
?Be aware that all pledges that are confirmed after the pledge manager deadline will be shipped from the US hub at a later date. For non-US backers that will likely incur increased shipping costs. We also cannot ship to PO Boxes domestically or internationally. Due to the size of each package, there is too great a risk of the package being sent back to us.

does this mean they will get shitton and have their reputation ruined in a year when everyone outside the US needs to pay VAT costs?
>>
>>50469637
i wont back at all then. no point unless i went for the titan bundle.
>>
>>50469676
Why? The core box alone comes with over 120 minis. You don't need every single thing.
>>
>>50469664
They said no tax for US and Euro people.
>>
>>50469664
>pledges that are confirmed after the pledge manager deadline
The only people that will have have to deal with VAT costs are people the don't get their survey filled out on time.
>>
>>50469695
He shouldn't back anyway out of principle.
Fuck KS exclusives.
>>
File: arabian nights.png (9KB, 608x83px) Image search: [Google]
arabian nights.png
9KB, 608x83px
>>
>>50469728
>people who help finance something get extra stuff

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.
It's not like the retail version will be half a game. The core box is filled to the brim with stuff, even without the KS exclusive content.
>>
>>50469799
if a game costs $50 then I expect kickstarter backers to get more out of that $50 than someone buying from retail, but I expect retail buyers to still have the ability to get those extras. it's the fact that parts of the game are a timed exclusive that rubs us the wrong way
>>
>>50469799
>>50469850
this

its fine they get a shitton of stuff for free.

but they should have retail version of all the stuff thats kickstarter exclusive as a upgrade bundle to the core game.
>>
>>50448963
Damn, that game looks insane and fun
>>
>>50469850
Other anon here. Timed exclusives don't really bother me but non-aesthetic permanent exclusives are a big mistake for me.
>>
>>50469720
so whatever you pledge you only pay 25$ in shipping ? even when you get everything ?
>>
>>50469850
It's an incentive to get people to pledge, very basic business tactic. If you want to completely ditch the game because there are some unnecessary extras you won't be able to get later then I'm sorry. I mean I get your point. I also want everything of something I like so I went all in. It's a lot of money that right now I can afford it so I went for it. I probably also would have trouble dealing with not having everything but I think I would get over it because I'd feel like I'd miss even more if I don't have the game at all.
>>
>>50469881
Just Twilight Imperuim with a whole ton of custom chrome added.
Still insane and fun.
>>
>>50469927
They said shipping for the biggest bundle will cost 35-40 for the US and 30-35 for France.
>>
>>50469929
Any way you cut it, it's sketchy business to say that people can't have all of a game's content unless they buy it before it's been released and subject to general review.
>>
>>50469930
Chrome?
>>
>>50469959
he means its literally the basic game but he made a big custom board
>>
File: clank.png (1MB, 1000x1103px) Image search: [Google]
clank.png
1MB, 1000x1103px
Has anyone here played CLANK? My friend loves deckbuilding games and I was thinking of picking it up for him for Christmas.
>>
>>50469959
Chrome = the "Pimp my ride" experience for board gaming. Sort of like when they gave gamers the option to replace the simple resource tokens in Scythe with fancy 3D model tokens like oil drums and logs for fuel and wood. The gamer in question build an insanely nice table dedicated to playing TI3.
>>
>>50470149
I have not played clank, but there's a really nice Deck Builder called 'Core Worlds' that plays well isn't insane in terms of number of cards - there's the core set, and 2 expansions. You can find some good reviews of it on Youtube if you're interested.
>>
>>50469799
I don't hate it as much as other people, but there's no particular reason if your game and some expansions are going to hit the market, then to say that these figures specifically will not hit the market.

I know you can say it's incentive, but people don't care about that nearly as much as you'd think. LOTS of boardgame kickstarters have dropped that model and guess what, they still get backed really well all the same. Stretch goals massively increase funding, extra content and throwing in free expansions massively increases funding, but saying "You get this expansion and NO ONE ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO GET IT AFTER THIS POINT" does not increase funding. All but Blood Rage in my kickstarted game collection has a way to buy the kickstarter extra content and they all made it to the market.
>>
>>50470352
and some people will actively not get the core game with no possibility of completing the set if they like it.
>>
>>50470393
Exactly. I do exaggerate, there are SOME who will feel the rush to get it because they want that extra thing, but I think there's equal if not more who will be dissuaded from buying it in the long run store shelf life of the game when they say "Oh damn, I missed out. Guess I won't get the full game now."
>>
>>50465130
I've only played Terra Mystica once, and I'd say it fits the bill pretty well.

I'd also recommend at least Kingsburg as well. It's relatively easy to learn and is very thematically strong. Not much in the realm of landscapes but it's got a pretty good visual style.

I'd also recommend taking a look at Village, Smallworld, Castles of Burgundy (a bit like Catan but less tedious IMO) at the least. All of them aren't too heavyweight and are at least in my opinion easier to pick up.

I hope this helps!
>>
>>50469774
I'm just happy that these people didn't pull any punches due to its Islamic roots

;^)
>>
>>50469774
How dare history not retroactively adjust itself to match my values and principles? Time to start a revolution! Whining on the internet will surely do the trick.
>>
File: 76486786.png (4MB, 680x3205px) Image search: [Google]
76486786.png
4MB, 680x3205px
Alright, just pledged $498 for this. The very first time I ever backed something on KS and I'm about to drop half a grand on it. Fuck I'm kinda nervous but also excited. This better be worth it. Fuck this really better be worth it. I hope I don't chicken out tomorrow at the last minute.
>>
>>50470423
From a business sense, I suspect there is a line that needs to tread. You can offer exclusives with out hurting post-KS sales, look at blood rage, for example. You just can't go overboard (looking at you Kaosball)
>>
>>50471446
Won't lie, that's a ton of cash. I know there's a ton of plastic, but there better be a ton of game as well.
>>
>>50456512
Yeah no most of the art before Wrath of the Cosmos is pretty garbage. The entire Enclave of the Endlings from that set is pretty great though, old Jack Kirby/Weird Sci-fi look to it. Still is fun game and can't wait for redone art heroes with OblivAeon.
>>
>>50471446
double down and spent 1666$ on your first kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description
>>
>>50471446
where did the other 100$ go to ?
>>
>>50471473
I know people who are mad at Blood Rage. As an expansion pack obsessed man, I was on the edge of not getting it knowing several things were held back from me. Scythe did better than Blood Rage in kickstarter and probably sales, and that is selling all their kickstarter stuff right down to the better looking resource tokens. Do you think anyone is mad about that? Do you think the idea that "Wow, I get this stuff for way cheaper in the kickstarter" was a worse motivator than "Wow, I'll never be able to ever get this stuff past the kickstarter!"

As far as I'm convinced from what I've seen comparing kickstarters and such, there's no difference between a kickstarter offering exclusives and a kickstarter offering just stuff they'll sell separately later.
>>
>>50471659
Base game + some additional stretch goals, excluxsives and freebies. $399 gets you all the expansions.
>>
>>50471746
well he said he backed for 498 not 400
>>
>>50471724
Exclusives are something I can't get if I have the bad luck to find and like the game later. See: Rum and Bones with its tons of exclusive crew, Zombicide exclusives, etc. If they're available later or purely cosmetic, awesome.
>>
>>50471768
99 is the core box + all the additional buys for 399 makes 498. Outside the bundle all the add-ons would cost like 600 by themselves without the core box.
>>
>>50471904
here i was thinking that included the base game
>>
>>50471446
You should probably just wait until it goes to retail for 30% off MSRP. Exclusives are usually bolted-on trash anyway
>>
>>50469349
>The combat system is great
>Plastics pusher
>combat system is great

Yeah, nah.
>>
>>50472813
show us on the dolly where the mean game with plastic pieces touched you.
>>
>>50470149
Clank! is a pseudo-mix of Ascension card play and DungeonQuest board exploration. It was a lot of fun when I played.
>>
>>50470149
Buy him Valley of the Kings and thank me later.
>>
>>50474676
>Ascension card play
I have the app, cardplay seems extremely algorithmic with no interesting choices.
>>
>>50474865
It's better in clank since the cards you buy let you move around on a board. It's not LEAGUES better, but my group has tons of fun with clank. We honestly only have two complaints: there should be more player interaction, and more shit to buy in the shop.
>>
>buy a new board game
>won't have anyone to play it for over a week at least

I wish I had a regular gaming group.
>>
>>50474555
In the wallet of course
>>
>>50469249
Still looks like a shitty game. I don't get what the hype is.
>>
>>50476233
People were impressed by the Conan game and this shares the publisher and superficial similarities.
And maybe the devs, I don't know if Monolith is a studio/publisher or just a publisher.
>>
>>50476249
AFAIK, they just repackaged and pimped out a previous game that used tokens instead of minis. Dunno if the original designer was involved in the development of the campaign scenarios, expansions and additional content, or if he had some say on the miniatures design or game aesthetics
>>
What do you think about Aquasphere? There's a good sale now but I'm not sure it's that interesting.
>>
>>50477680
It a dry and very intricate worker-placement Eurogame.
>>
>>50476598
>they just repackaged and pimped out a previous game

No, there were significant gameplay changes across the board. The new game plays completely differently. And yes, the original designer is still involved
>>
>>50474555
By all means go ahead and show me a kickstarter game where the sole purpose is to push as much plastic as possible has ever been anything more than a pasted on game where it's ameritrash dice chucker garbage.
>>
>>50470779
Thanks bro. Will check them out after uni
>>
>>50478558
The Gods War and Cthulhu Wars are wargames, not Ameritrash.
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (1MB, 1644x2561px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.jpg
1MB, 1644x2561px
Friendly reminder: 12 hours to go

If you are interested, check it out. You can watch an entire skirmish playthrough here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQR6oFpp4U
>>
>>50478623
lol
>>
>>50443056
>most content for my money

Then expansions. They add a new creature/encounter which thusly adds;

-new AI cards, hit location cards, resource cards, etc etc etc cards for that specific monster/monsters on the expansion
-usually new settlement locations for kitting out your settlement
-usually new innovations, fighting arts, derangements, etc for improving or enfeebling your settlement/survivors
-new armour, weapons, items, equipment cards
-new hunt events
-sometimes new terrain, specific to the encounters
-a miniature for the monster
-an armour kit to create survivors in said armour
-occasionally NPC/story representative minis

tl;dr read what the new (and old) expansions come with in the update posts (they're posted in the /kdg/ thread almost immediately as they come). The gamblers chest is only gonna give you a few actual "game" extras as far as we can tell, its most likely going to be where the majority of promo figures will come from, which are more for hobbyists.
>>
>>50478642
My problem with this is that with for a full game (about $1500) I could add $500 and buy myself a CNC machine.

With a CNC machine I could do my own plastic molds.
>>
>>50478935
What? The core box plus all add-ons that change the gameplay (so no artbook or stuff like that) comes to 400 dollars. If you also want the non-gameplay stuff it comes to 500 in the bundle. Where do you get 1500? This isn't KDM.
>>
>>50478935
If you're talking with expansions and add-ons, they have bundle options. If you wanted to get everything, or "full game", its 399$.

So 400$, then add $1600 for your CNC machine.
>>
>>50465130
>>50470779
Terra Mystica does fits the bill but it can be a little bit hard, there's a lot of rules to digest, a lot of things to keep track on and at the same time it's short (not really timewise but on what you can actually do). It's really a terrific game, but it might be a lot for some people, it's certainly not a casual game imho, don't know how much it will be for your target audience.

But yeah it does sounds like what you want, plus there's a lot of replay value because of multiple factions, multiple strategies for each.
>>
>>50479010
Derp sorry saw someone saying $1600 for a kickstarter but that was full KDM.
>>
>>50479293

>>50479293

>>50479293

NEW THREAD
>>
>>50465051
>It's okay that is makes their product worse because it helps their business :^)
>>
>>50480681
>worse
>>
>>50471724
People pay over $400 on ebay for the collectors edition because the box is numbered when you can get everything in it for well under $200. Some people are obsessed with the FOMO but you don't need to throw in a bunch of exclusives to trick people into buying your product if the game is good enough to sell on its own merits.

I keep seeing people saying that these huge miniature kickstarters are such a good deal because of all of the plastic in them but are you really going to use those Greek people in different poses miniatures in your D&D campaign if the game sucks? Are you going to display the cheap plastic pieces in a glass display cabinet like some sort of grognard?

The most expensive game I own is Food Chain Magnate that I've slowly upgraded the components of and based on this criteria, it's a terrible "value" but it's one of my very favorite games, I've played it tons and it costs what it costs to get that experience.

Not many people would (or did) buy mythic battles if it was cardboard standees, and I doubt a single person in this thread would buy a big bag of the Greek minis as toys. Its mainly this gee-whiz feeling from getting "so much stuff" that's, along with GW artificially inflating the perceived value of cheap plastic toys, driving the kickstarter.
>>
>>50478623
Those games are like the poster children of ameritrash, friend.
>>
>>50471446

Back Kingdom Death Monster instead, a copy of the base game is cheaper and will certainly be better than this.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x310px
>>50482705
Eh, seems like an interesting and decent package. If you've go the disposable income I don't see why not.
Jus/t g/o for both options.
Thread posts: 304
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.