[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 33

File: wild westworld.jpg (76KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
wild westworld.jpg
76KB, 800x400px
>Latest News
Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
Don't forget to give your opinion in the Bard survey!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>>50375392

>Topic
Did you run/play in a wild west setting? Was it any good? Could it be anything but silly?
Westworld is giving me ideas, thoughts and inspiration I never thought I'd have.
>>
File: 0RdmNoV.png (202KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
0RdmNoV.png
202KB, 480x480px
tfw no group

I just wanna play my archfey firbolg warlock
>>
second for kobold dragon-hunting party
>>
>>50383766

Have not played a wild west setting. I feel like it would be nothing more than a magitech setting with cowboy hats tossed on top. Not that I'd have a problem with that. I actually really would like to play a magitech setting at some point, but I don't feel like putting in the work to flesh out a whole bunch of monsters and technology and stats and bullshit for it.

Anyone have any homebrew rules for a wild west and/or magitech setting that aren't complete shit?
>>
>>50383803
You'll find a group one day.

We all will.
>>
Didn't realize we were at the end of last thread, so
>>50383716
Again, what's your point? If all their fluff and racial features aren't enough to differentiate them, what's the difference between the "not-midget" races? Humans, elves, tieflings, half-orcs... they're all just tall people, with superficial differences.

>>50383801
>homebrew gladiator background
There already is one. Entertainer variant.
>>
Guys, how do we fix Cleric of Trickery?
Domain spells are pretty good but everything else is shit.
> no proficiencies
> active features are shit
> poison damage on divine strike
> can't really /be/ a "trickster" himself

Admittedly Cloak of Shadows is pretty good since it's Invisibility without Concentration, which is a pretty good deal.
Still a Channel Divinity feature though.
>>
>>50383847
>don't bother to fully read a two-line post
ain't that something
>>
>>50383803
I'm gmt+3 can't even find decent groups online.
>>
>>50383857

For starters, I would, as a matter of principle, allow him to use Wisdom for deception rolls.
>>
>>50383873
-8 over here :(
>>
>>50383865
Welp, shit, seems like my reading comprehension was nowhere to be found. Why do you not like that variant for its purpose?
>>
>>50383857
>Guys, how do we fix Cleric of Trickery?

By playing one of the new Bard Colleges instead
>>
>>50383873
>>50383915
>>50383803
Keep trying on roll20, lonely anons. It takes a while but you might happen upon a good group. It's easier if you're willing to DM. I had a lot of luck since the first group I joined was great and has stick together ever since, even though we're already on our 3rd DM.
>>
>>50383902
Oh... That's good. Any idea for an active feature @1st level, to go along with proficiency in Deception and ability to use Wisdom for them?

Something nice but not too powerful would be nice.
>>
>>50383952
this tbqhaf

>>50383920
I'm not the gladiator guy
>>
Any recommendations of 5e related youtube stuff. Campaigns or tips. I'd just like to see other peoples experiences with the system.
>>
File: 1474599257434.jpg (70KB, 1117x625px) Image search: [Google]
1474599257434.jpg
70KB, 1117x625px
>>50383857
Move to Lazytown
>>
>>50383952
I'm dming a campaign for 3 of my friends, first time for all of us, they're rarely free, we spend weeks not playing, plus I want to play, not dm.
>>
>>50383920
doesn't feel encompassing enough, if anything it feels like it should be a mix of entertainer and maybe folk hero if you're a famous gladiator in your area. And the skills should be athletics OR acrobatics, then entertainer.
>>
>>50383766
what the fuck is Latias doing attacking a train?
>>
>>50384041
It's hungry.
>>
>>50383973
Well, they already have Blessing of the Trickster. Giving them proficiency in Deception and the ability to use it with Wisdom should be enough, I think, since all other domains get Bonus Proficiency/Cantrip plus one other thing, except for Knowledge which gets two kills with expertise.
>>
>>50383756
Thanks, that's what I thought.

>>50383767
Yeah but that's not till later down the line, and even then gladiators tend to stick to specific styles (even though mine's going to favor a trident with a gladius as a sidearm).

>>50383767
I think I'm still too new to the genre to start homebrewing left and right. I substituted "acrobatics" with "athletics" on the Entertainer/Gladiator proficiencies but that's been about it.

On a related note, how should gladiatorial armor be treated, if I'm trying to make em as proper-Roman-flavored as possible?
>>
>>50384061
give him the entertainer background
>>
>>50384031
I see. Well, backgrounds can be customizable anyway, and I think they opted to not make "x or y" skills just to make it simpler for first timers. Anyway, have at it.

>>50384025
I feel you, anon. Go on roll20, search for campaigns, keep searching and applying. Prioritize the listings with fewer applications, if you're one of the first you have better chances to be chosen.
>>
>>50384089
Yeah, Athletics instead of Acrobatics, while retaining Performance.
>>
How do I treat my players to a southern Odyssey in the vein of O Brother Where Art Thou, in 5e?
>>
>>50383997
Matthew Colville does videos about DMing usually in the loose context of 5e.
>>
>>50384031
errr i meant performance, not entertainer
>>
>>50384115
Read the Odysessy
>>
>>50384220
Yeah, no worries, I had that figured.

If I was to pick a feat to improve his gladiatorness (equipment: undetermined armor, shield, trident, shortsword), what could it be?
>>
File: turkeyGobbler.jpg (68KB, 556x720px) Image search: [Google]
turkeyGobbler.jpg
68KB, 556x720px
What D&D things are you most thankful for, /5eg/?
>>
>>50384358
Dwarves
>>
>>50384358
4e.
>>
>>50384358
Mystara/KnownWorld/HollowWorld and Dark Sun.
>>
File: bugbearmont.png (2MB, 1157x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bugbearmont.png
2MB, 1157x1080px
>>50384358
Whips
>>
SKT, whats the point of transferring runes to items when you lose most of properties for just carrying the rune
>>
>>50384358
I'm thankful that the players have read the rules and understand them mostly. I don't get it, with other games I had to be the living rules encyclopaedia, what did 5e do?
>>
>>50384358
The crew I DM for has been together since mid-June and while it got off to a bumpy start in terms of keeping players early on, we've all become "friends" (or as close as one can get through online play) and they all seem to enjoy the way I DM.
>>
>>50384416
The item effects are slightly different from what the active effects of the rune are. You lose several abilities, but gain some other, different effects which are more passive and generally do not require action/bonus usage.
>>
>>50384444
Almost always worse
>>
>>50384358
Ravenloft
>>
>>50384306
ok here is a few
1) Shield master is really good
2) if you're allowed to use UA, see if you can refluff Spear Master Feat to cover trident as well, as they have the exact same damage, distance, and properties.
3) Athlete is very appropriate, being you probably had to be very quick on your feat in the arena.
4) if you got the dex for it, medium armor master is essentially another +1 ac
5) Mobile for speed
6) Sentinel for some minor battlefield control
7) Martial Adept for even more battlemaster shit, or some if you aren't going that route.
>>
>>50384306
Don't forget to use nets.
>>
Let's say I captured two cloud giant castles.

Would Sky Commodore be appropriate?
>>
>>50384551
Let's say you did, would you need skilled hirelings to run such a castle? Would they know how to use the castles defenses?
>>
>>50384490
I was thinking Shield Master but I kinda wish you could use the shield to deal proper damage, unless shoving an enemy can also grant me an attack of opportunity...

>>50384505
That's for Retiarius, I'm building a Murmillo or a Secutor. Just with the trident for throwable opportunities.
>>
What would be a good name for this property on a magic weapon?

"When you make an attack with this weapon, you can choose to use Wisdom instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls. You can do this a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses daily at dawn."
>>
>>50383857
Get yourself a disguise kit you dumb nigger.
> Disguise kit into anything
> Channel divinity also becomes whatever that is
> send your doppledumbass to go wreck havoc while you sit in a corner reading a newspaper.
> Inflict wounds is a powerful spell that you have advantage on with your clone flanking a target in combat
>>
>>50384632
(weapon name) of will
>>
>>50384562
Nope, two navigators for the control spheres and I'll hire ogres for the ballista

I'll have half a dozen airships on each castle filled with sky pirates
>>
File: beastmaster.png (172KB, 331x421px) Image search: [Google]
beastmaster.png
172KB, 331x421px
I want to give a feat @LV1 to any race. I feel like it'd promote a bit of diversity within my groups.
To this end, I've had to "fix" humans so that the race still gets picked.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1wy7o1zg

Thoughts?
Bear in mind the resemblance with Half-Elf's traits.
>>
>>50384700
Diversity is codeword for human genocide
>>
>>50384671
Holy shit, you can attack cities with that force.

But wouldn't the navigation equipment be large for medium creatures?
>>
>>
>>50384736
Navigation orbs are magical, someone just needs to attune and touch it to direct the castle

I'm hoping to buy griffons too
>>
>>50384700
Let's see...
>Half-elf
+2/+1/+1
Darkvision
Fey Ancestry
2 skills
3 languages
>Human
+2/+1/+1
Adaptability
2 skills
2 languages

Though Human gets to choose where to put their +1, I still think they fall behind a little bit. Darkvision makes a lot of difference in many campaigns, and Fey Ancestry is pretty good, whereas Adaptability can only help you every once in a while. Make it a short rest thing, for starters, and find some other thing to give humans. I suggest +2/+1/+1/+1, since giving another point to your quaternary stat is really not going to break anything, just help a little.
>>
>>50384700
Adaptability is useless if you don't have any negative ability modifiers. I would change to gaining advantage on an ability check once per short rest.
>>
>>50384700
Adaptability is trash.
>>
>>50384802
But they also choose where they get +2. It is intended that for Charisma-based characters, Half-Elfs will still be better.

Adaptability also is the only racial feature that scales. Are you sure making it a short rest would be OK ?
>>
>>50384425

I don't know this feel anon.

I am the reason all my friends play D&D. I bought books, learned all the rules, taught myself to DM, and have never gotten to play a PC myself.

Out of the 13 people I have taught to play 5e and DMed for, literally not one of them has a concrete understanding of the rules. I have to hold their hand through every single level up, showing them how to read their new features, helping them update spells and spell slots, reminding them what die to use to roll for health. I have to baby them through every single session, remind them constantly what they can do each turn in combat, remind them what their spells actually do, I even literally have to remind them over and over and over that they roll a d20 for ability and attack rolls.

It's literally breaking my spirit to DM honestly. I put so much in each week to prep for sessions, to create a great experience for all of us, and I can't even get them to read a few chapters of the fucking PHB. Like they don't even need to read all of it. Probably not even half of it. Just the stuff for how to actually play, and then the sections of their own race and class.
>>
My group had one of our players first time DM a pre-made adventure with his own twists. Problem is he never gave any freedom or rewarded creativity. Always having monsters beat the check or having a creative choice backfire. For instance the party decided to hack a hole in a door to light up the other side, our DM just kept saying there was darkness or to far to see the inside, but when we entered this was not true and the lamp illuminated the walls 30ft away. We showed him the rules on how a lamp works and he did not have any darkness conditions or spells present, it was just his choice as DM. What is a good way to introduce a DM to the importance of free choice and rewarding creativity?
>>
>>50384934
Ive dmed for two groups and theyve been the exact same experience as yours anon. Im gonna go insane if I hear someone ask me what proficiency does again.
>>
>>50384828
I meant "Human gets to choose where to put their +2", not +1, sorry. But half-elfs are still generally great. If you don't want to give humans another +1 (which seriously wouldn't be all that powerful), at the very least change Adaptability into a short rest feature. As other anons said, it isn't even that great. I would change it into:

"When you make an unproficient ability check, you may decide to apply your proficiency bonus to it." And then all the other stuff about seeing the roll and having to finish a short rest before using it again.
>>
>>50384934
I've been in this exact same situation. The problem is you're making people who don't want to play d&d play d&d. The best thing I ever did was ditch my group and start up a new campaign online. There's SO MANY people trying to find games its easy to recruit the best ones who are exactly what you want
>>
>>50384802
>>50384824
>>50384827
Alright thanks for the feedback, imma think a bit more about Adaptability.

I don't like the +1 in three different abilities. It feels a bit lazy and it doesn't mesh well with 27 points-buy.

Advantage on 1 check once per short rest seems a bit lazy, but is definitely tempting. It doesn't stack with Help, but oh well.

Thanks again.
>>
>>50384959
https://youtu.be/EkXMxiAGUWg is decent start.

It might not hurt to ask him to try a premade adventure with no twists too. By creating his own twists he puts work into certain outcomes, and probably becomes more invested in them and thus more likely to push you guys towards them, intentionally or otherwise.

You can also just talk to him. Tell him what you liked about his DMing, try to be encouraging, but straight up ask him to be more open to player creativity.
>>
But it's never like I'm forcing anyone to play. It's always people who specifically ask me to play. They are always like super bummed when sessions get canceled, or when the campaign has ended. For the campaign I'm currently running, two of the people literally came out of nowhere and practically begged to be allowed to join.

Is it just that I take my hobby too seriously? Is it unreasonable for me to expect normies to devote a couple hours of their own personal time to reading the PHB?
>>
>>50384934
I have a similar issue, but only with a couple of the players on the basics of the game. The rest of them are usually correct, even if they can't fucking remember to write down what die their cantrip's damage is, or how long a short rest is.

...admittedly, I stopped trying to include concentration rules, or partial cover. And they still don't know there's a help, hide, or dodge action.

We've been playing weekly since 5e was first released.
>>
>>50385111
was in replay to >>50384977
>>
>>50385111
You need to remember that not everyone is as into it as you are. Either find people that are, or take it less seriously. Or you can run your fun casual normie game irl and run a Super serious real game online with professional players
>>
>>50385115

Yeah I never both with partial cover, even if it's like a PC trying to shoot an arrow past 10 enemies standing in a row to hit the furthest one away. It's just not worth working it all out. I try to remember concentration as best I can (players don't even realize it's a thing) but that's something even I forget to keep track of sometimes.
>>
>>50385138

I really do try to not take it super serious. I play pretty laxed on the rules, like I said >>50385147 I leave a lot of stuff out, try not to force tons of super hard fights on the party, don't use very punishing things (like getting attacked during a rest), but it's still so hard when they don't even know the simplest and most basic rules.

I'm just ranting at this point obviously. I know it's really all just on me to either force them to take it more seriously and learn, or not DM for them. Just feels good to vent to people who get me.
>>
>>50385115
>>50385147
If you guys play IRL, do you use DM screens? Have you tried pinning a list of actions/common rules in big "look at me you fucks" font to the front of the screen?
>>
>>50385188
That's a good idea, but if my players can't see what die to roll when it's printed on their character sheet, I dunno if they would remember to look at that, either.
>>
>>50385208
have you asked them to learn the rules/read the books?
>>
>>50385111
>tfw when you actually bothered to learn the game but can't find a grup

I don't get how someone could fuck around and have people waiting on their ass consistently because they didn't bother to learn the basics.
>>
a bit of a fun story

>playing Lost Mine of Phandelver to get new players into 5e
>running around doing all of the side quests, getting the hang of game mechanics and starting to see some funny RP, everyone is having fun
>party is lvl 3 and finishing last side quest in the abandoned villiage (thundertree i think)
>DM mentions dragon in tower, party is mostly martials, a bard, and a sorc
>lets kill it
>go inside the tower and realize how fucked they are. DM says the dragon offers to let them go if they give him the few magic items they have and all of their gold
>bard (18ch) starts talking to dragon and trying to negotiate
>asks dragon if he knows about cragmaw castle, dragon does
>bard says if the dragon helps them take cragmaw castle, the party will help him take it for himself, along with promising dragon any valuables inside castle
>entire party starts cracking up
>DM isnt sold, so bard keeps in character and keeps describing how much nicer cragmaw castle is than the tower he currenly resides in
>DM lets bard do a persuasion check with disadvantage
>Roll 20
>Roll 20 again
>entire group loses its mind laughing, DM gives inspiration to bard

we ended the session soon after, but we are going to pick up tomorrow and hit cragmaw castle, with the dragon
>>
File: 1417308287139.png (492KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
1417308287139.png
492KB, 600x630px
>>50385365
Same here. It just seems like common fucking sense/courtesy to at least make some effort to understand something you're devoting time to.

>read rules to prep trying AL at LGS for first game ever
>experienced(sic) DM misunderstands basic rules, makes our rogue useless
>>
Since UA has experimented with prestige classes, how would people feel if they officially return? I'm sort of torn on it. Archetypes and prestige classes seem like they might make for rather complex characters and more multiclassing shenanigans. But they're something that led to fun and distinct characters back in 3.5.

Sidenote: re-reading the Maure castle adventure reminds me of just how fucking much I prefer 5E to 3.5
>>
>>50385948
>Since UA has experimented with prestige classes, how would people feel if they officially return?
The reaction to the UA was negative and thus prestige classes aren't going to come back anytime soon.
>>
>>50385981

Ah well I haven't been following UA that much so good to know. Rune scribe was a cool idea though.
>>
>>50385981
I like the idea of Prestige classes, but I think i just like the idea of further specialization at higher levels.
>>
File: pirate light drinking.jpg (236KB, 752x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pirate light drinking.jpg
236KB, 752x1600px
advice on running/making a Pirate campaign?
>>
File: 1470811790615.png (330KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470811790615.png
330KB, 500x375px
What class do I play if I eventually want to become a god, but I want to have fun along the way?
>>
>>50386054

Wizard
>>
>>50386054
Wizard
>>
>>50386028
SKY PIRATES!
>>
>>50386069
Which school?
>>
>>50386238
Transmutation, Divination, or Abjuration.
>>
>>50385948
At the basic level, I like the idea of prestige classes, though the implementation always felt off to me. The idea of being able to alter your class and gain bonuses for roleplaying things like joining a specific order of knights or unlocking an arcane secret is nice, but the past implementations always felt like it was just treated as another class with a few skill prerequisites.

I'd much prefer seeing Prestige Feats or Prestige Boons, treating them as either as a Feat intended for higher levels with stricter requirements, or similar to Boons in the DMG, having them just be bonuses that can be given out as a player progresses through an organization or research.

The key thing is that these should be in the hands of the DM, rather than another player option.
>>
>>50386238

Transmutation is probably closest for what you're looking for if you want to feel like a god, abjuration if you want to never die. Transmutation can give you elemental resistance, resurrect people, and infinite shape changing for utility.
>>
>>50386249
Feats are dear enough, boons would probably be the better way to go about it.
>>
Hey, guys, could I get a concise list of any super cheesy and super overpowered min/max style builds you're aware of for 5th Edition?

I'm gonna be going into a game with some people who are new to tabletop and I don't want to be that guy by accidentally picking something that's going to make them all feel useless. So I just want to know what I should avoid if I want to make a balanced or even a slightly under-powered character.
>>
>>50386516
Whether you're being honest about your intentions or not, there's always a Halfling Divination wizard with the Lucky feat.
>>
>>50383873
What are you, a ruskie or an arab?
>>
>>50386516
5e is set up in such a way that the only way that someone will feel useless is if they purposely aim for it by not maxing their primary stat or multiclassing too much or too early.

And even builds that are "overpowered" are still within the intended power margins of the system (except at ludicrously high levels, but no one plays those anyway).

That said:
- Paladin 2/Sorcerer X (twinned/quickened booming blade with smites)
- Warlock 2/Sorcerer X (quickened eldritch blast with agonizing blast, possibly combined with devil's sight and the Darkness spell)
- Valor Bard X, maybe with Fighter 1, with Sharpshooter (steal swift quiver at Bard 10, spend a 5th-level slot to do 4 arrow shots per turn)

Variant human shenanigans:
- Barbarian X with GWM (reckless attack gives them hilarious damage output early on)
- Fighter X Battle Master with Sharpshooter (archery fighting style and precision attack gives them huge damage output at range early on)
- Fighter X Battle Master with GWM (precision attack again gives them huge damage output early on)
>>
>>50386516

There's not a lot of them, 5E is pretty balanced. That said:

-Yuan-Ti anything

-Paladin X/Warlock 2

-Combining Sentinel, GWM, and Polearm master on one character (typically a battlemaster fighter)

-Kobold sharpshooter rogue

-Polearm/GWM paladin riding on a shapeshifted Druid.

-Fiend warlock 6+, lucky hobgoblin/Yuan-Ti
>>
>>50384358
that things like your picture aren't real
>>
>>50386659

Forgot to add divination wizard 2 into that last one.
>>
quick! Give me names for a mercenary group!
>>
>>50386692
Pickerling's Privateers
The Crimson Banner
Vanguard Cordon
The Seven Blades
The Quavering Horde
The Abominators
>>
>>50386692
Uber
>>
>>50386692
Mercenary Company
>>
>>50386542
I've spent enough time on both sides of the screen to know that I'm not the kind of person to care whether my character is the groups MVP.

I'll make a character that's good at whatever they need to be good at, but past that I just want to make sure that everyone else can enjoy themselves. I hope that I can teach them by example that you don't have to have some flashy, over the top, or overpowered character to enjoy themselves and have fun with friends around the table.

I just want to do what I almost always do, play the most boring character I can make who only has as many quirks as they need to still be engaging regardless of that fact. Not sure what I'm gonna do for that yet, maybe I'll pull out another botanist.

That being said...
>>50386542 >>50386607 >>50386659 >>50386674
I appreciate the white-list recommendations, thank you.
>>
>>50386659
>>50386607
>>50386542
not him but i'm sure you can go deeper.

min/max speaking, pretty much all of the charisma classes are badly designed. they all get too much out of a few multiclass levels from each other, with pretty much only bard and paladin maybe being kind of worth going all the way.

i've found that the max lightning damage divinity breaks pretty much any combat early on and that the ranger/new ranger does way too much damage, too safely and too consistently from level 3 up to level 5 compared to other martial classes (warlocks need not apply).
>>
>>50386782
also everything anyone gets from cleric 1 and fighter 1~2.
>>
http://5e.d20srd.org/

I didn't know we had this
>>
>>50386810
There's a bunch of 5e SRD sites out there right now.

http://www.5esrd.com, run by the guy who does d20pfsrd.org

http://5thsrd.org/ is a decent one.

The SRD is built into Roll20 and accessible outside it. https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/BookIndex
>>
>>50383501
Concentration's a big deal for call lightning, but I suppose a big thing is you can use it even if you use healing word on the same turn.

I'm not saying call lightning is better than lightning bolt, but lightning bolt synergizes better with the ability. Pretty confident you only maximize one of the 3d10s.

And then, simply, most of the abilities lightningbolt strike could synergize with, tempest cleric doesn't get.

>>50384029
Well, I suppose. I forgot until recently it was 2/short rest, for some reason I forgot and thought until only recently it was 1/long rest.
>>
>>50384700
Here's what I do with humans.
ASI +2Con and +1 to a stat of choice.

One skill prof.

Adaptation - pick one of the following features:

A cantrip from the sorcerer, wizard or druid spell list (your casting stat depends on the list you picked).

Darkvision (60 ft)

Two bonus skill proficiencies

Martial training: martial weapons and lught/medium armour proficiency.
>>
Define "ASI"
>>
>>50386938
An acronym for "Asking Sensual Inquiries"
>>
>>50386659

Aroaka is pretty good too innit? Just for the flying?
>>
Last game ended in a character death. .

There's no healers in the group, except maybe the moon druid. But he doesn't understand how to cast spells half the time. And not really a healer, anyway, with that circle.

Another player asks me to give them more rewards. I give them lots of gold so they can make choices about what to buy. He is upset that they don't receive lots of healing potions. Instead he drops thousands of gold on a magic cape and tells me that I, as the DM, should realize they don't have a healer and should make up for it (namely by throwing them free healing potions).

I put a lot of time into thinking about balance and never put them into unwinnable situations unless it would be clearly clearly telegraphed. But I think failure should be an option. In the last encounter, they rolled horribly.

So when the player brought this up I just reassured him that I always think a lot about balance, and I realize they don't have a "healer." It is a home brew campaign, after all. And I even showed him options for his character that could let him act as a viable healer. But I did not say anything about tossing them more potions for free or just upping their rewards per his request.

He doesn't know this, but soon they're going to come into a LOT of gold, right around the time they should hit level 10 or so. He will have plenty of money to buy cool shit and potions. But he doesn't like buying potions (even though he's the dickass thief) and seems to resent other players using up all his potions.

Thoughts?

tl;dr - player wants more free healing potions, doesn't like choosing between spending his gold on healing potions or buying "cool shit," wants me to just give them out. Thoughts?
>>
>>50387019
Tell him that you've been giving them gold with the expectation that they'll spend it on the items they think will be most useful. If he thinks that's healing potions, that's up to him. If he thinks the rest of the group should buy them, then tell him to bring it up to them as well.
>>
File: 4156.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4156.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>50387019
That's his own fault for not coming prepared for a fight.
"Guess what would have been more useful than that new magic thing? Health Potions."
>>
>>50386938
ability score improvement
>>
>>50387062
gracias
>>
>>50387065
de nada
>>
>>50387042
>>50387044
Yeah, that was the idea.
>>
>>50386923
do druids get guidance?
>>
>>50387086
Did they seriously not have, say, 150 gold or so to buy a few potions? Even after buying the magic cape or whatever.
>>
>>50386607
Here's another one for the variant human shenanigans list:

Fighter w/ Magic Initiate (druid, take shillelagh)

Get a quarter staff and shield and take the dueling fighting style. Max out Wis and then take Polearm Master. Dueling applies to the bonus action attack when using the quarterstaff one-handed according to sage advice as I recall.

So you end up
>SAD on Wis, one of the more useful ability scores
>Top tier damage per turn (better than sword&board, polearms, TWF, or two handed weapons ignoring power attacks)
>Can wield a shield on top of this
>>
>>50386923
>Darkvision (60 ft)

why
>>
>>50386938
What extremely common feature that is literally on every class in the game could possibly have that acronym?

Have you literally never cracked open the player's handbook?
>>
>>50387154
Morlocks
>>
I think you could conceivably get 5 cloud giant castles under your control in SKT

Zephyros tower
random encounter castle
blagothkus castle
lynn armal
count nimbolos

one for each pc
>>
>>50387154
You know that the fluff reason for elves having darkvision is them living in well dark areas.

Humans are far more widespread so it wouldn't be unreasonable for a tribe to adapt.

Also gets rid of the need for night-googles or becoming a warlock.
>>
>>50387288

It feels like 5e should just give everyone darkvision. I mean, why not at this point?
>>
>>50383766
Is there any like clean .pdf version of the Player's Handbook? Like something that isn't a grainy and low rez scan?
>>
>>50387009

Yes that's true, I forgot to mention them since I pretty much only play in the AL where they're illegal. They break the game more or less.
>>
>>50387147
you don't have to max wis for this to work, you can still use str, unless you were going for cleric later for which in that case, you can just con v.human, take PAM, start fighter and then mc into nature cleric (?) which i think also gets shill.

str still gives you maneuver DC and grapple/shoves to go with that sweet shield and extra attacks.
>>
>>50387310
>Tfw your three-person party is a human, a halfling, and a dragonborn
I just got Invocations from my Warlock dip and now someone ELSE has to hold the torch!
>>
>>50387329
Yes, it's in the OP.
>>
>>50387139
They had much more than that. They simply just didn't. In their defense, it was only one player that felt this way.
>>
>>50387310
Yeah, to be honest, I feel like darkvision should be limited a bit more so that less races have access to it.

But then again, as a DM I've grown past using darkness as something that is even an obstacle that should be overcome. It's much more of a chore than anything, and so I often just provide light sources.There are so many more interesting ways to set up ambushes than having people jump out from the dark anyway.
>>
Hey /tg, what would be a good way to approach interrogating peasants about some supershady bussines that they're up to without arrousing too much suspicion?
>>
>>50387679

I like to use the ol' Persuasion Cop/Intimidation Cop routine. An Insight Cop backup is a good addition.

Get 'em alone and turn the screws, only way to drag anything out of a peasant.
>>
>>50387679
>What's good, fellow criminalists?
>>
>>50387679
Charm Person and a shiny silver coin or two
>>
>>50386516
Barbarian5/Rogue7+X (Level to 15 eventually). Strength focus, but if you get very good stats you can focus on dex for worse reckless attacks and a bit less damage but up to 3 higher AC.
Very tanky, with other benefits such as still-competitive damage even though you're using a fucking shield.

Warlock3(+X)/Paladin11(+Y) (Level whichever after you get the key levels, I guess). PAM.
You have access to a powerful ranged cantrip if you're ever caught at range, all your attacks use charisma and because of that your aura of protection should hopefully be giving +5. Warlock spell slots can be used for smiting, etc etc. The main point of this is it's very supportey, paladin auras providing great benefit while you yourself have good versatility and are only reliant on one stat. Also, quarterstaff+shield with either +1AC or protector fighting style. It's a thing.

Warlock2/Sorcerer2(+X)
Fucking blast shit. That's honestly all you're going to be doing. Eldritch blast, more eldritch blast, knock enemies around and be a dick of a one-trick-pony. Convert spell slots to more sorcerery points for more blasts.

Wizard/Bard/Paladin/Cleric:
I'd call them top-tier classes. Cleric/Bard/Wizard are all full classes with great utility. Bard can get any spell. Wizard has tonnes of spells. Cleric gets armour and revive spells and whatnot.
Paladin is just great support and very versatile in combat with heals, spells and just being tanky.

The broken stuff will simply not be allowed by DM.
>>
>>50387679
Get them drunk/drug them, take them to a secure location, restrain and torture them.
>>
>>50386516
>>50387734
The 'super cheesy' stuff is probably what I'd call broken.

Netfighting (1d4+sneak attack + restrain hits), for example, is broken as fuck. Your DM won't allow it, though, even if it is RAW, it's not RAI.

Invisible familiars are very powerful and all the dickery you can do with them is considered RAI, but your DM will hate you for it. Also requires you to take warlock levels in the first place. Wizardly classes get non-invisible ones.

Some classes have specific situations you could call them cheesy, such as a monk against a non-stun-immune boss spamming stunning fist over and over, but they're definitely not cheesy oveall. Heck, there are 'optimal' builds but there are very few things that are way above suboptimal builds.

Some UA is very cheesy if you can abuse it multiclass-wise, though.
UA shadowsorcerer is overpowered for a one level dip.
UA revised ranger is overpowered for a one level dip.
Undying light is pretty damn good, I guess, but not as broken as the above two things for one level dips.
Zealot can be ridiculous in certain campaigns, but otherwise just going Normandy and looking like an idiot.
Your DM shouldn't be allowing multiclass with such UA options.
>>
>>50387679
Question them while polishing your morningstar.
>>
File: Ancestor.png (230KB, 435x359px) Image search: [Google]
Ancestor.png
230KB, 435x359px
> DMing Curse of Strahd in Roll20
> Upload a shitload of music for atmosphere
> Players love it
> Have an idea
> Extact sound files from Darkest Dungeon
> Play Narrator's voice clips at appopriate times
> Every time a trap is triggered, "Curious is the trapmaker's art..." or "Watch. Your. Step." is played.
> When Izek dies, it's "Prodigious size alone does not dissuade a sharpened blade".
> When the group saves Vallaki, "I see something long absent in the sunken faces of passersby. A glimmer of hope."
Most often, however, the players hear "How quickly the tide turns!", because I just fucking love it.
Judge me.
>>
>>50387737
>>50387732
>>50387719
>>50387730
It will most likely be a persuasion attempt backed up by taking the half orc barb along as extra motivation.
The thing is they are most likely worshiping some sort of crones like the ones from the witcher and I have established that my character hates peasants so waterboarding them or something like that shouldn't be a problem.
Tell me stories about your inquiries on dark matters tg.
>>
>>50387764
No judgment, I love you!
>>
>>50387679
Geas

Let them know 5d10 is more than enough to liquefy them if they disobey
>>
>>50387764
Sounds pretty neat.
>>
>Fighter (Eldritch Knight)/Warlock with three levels for Pact of the Blade

Good or bad? I've worked out the evocations and spells to go with it, and it seems like it'll be viable in a lot of situations
>>
>>50387816
I'm not entirely sure what you get out of EK?
>>
>>50387764
Did the exact same, but now that roll20 doesn't support soundcloud anymore we're fucked.
>>
>>50387876
There's still Fanburst, which is basically the exact same thing.
>>
>>50387816
Super fucking terrible

EK already gets BETTER than the benefits of pact of the blade.

Pact of the blade is literally EK with stuff taken out of it, the consumption of invocations and the only thing it brings to the table is lifedrinker at warlock level 12.

Lifedrinker at level 12 is literally the only thing pact of the blade has going for it.

EK/Warlock works best if you take the +1 to hit with ranged attacks and no disadvantage within 5ft fighting style, pick up eldritch blast, agonizing blast, repelling blast and become a blasting-focused EK.

EB + shillelagh attack. A fighter that depends only on charisma.
>>
Can you control an animal with beast sense? Could I use speak with animals while using beast sense to ask the animal to do something? Totem barbarian for reference? Is there any way I could see through the eyes of a mouse and use it to scout and have it do what I say? Essentially I want to be able to warg like in game of thrones...
>>
File: Melon Man.png (307KB, 749x650px) Image search: [Google]
Melon Man.png
307KB, 749x650px
>>50387734
>>50387754
Whether or not the DM will allow things here isn't nessarily an for me issue. They're new, so they won't know what's broken or not until it fucks up their game. If I wanted to I could totally be THAT GUY and become Andrew Jackson's cheese wheel incarnate.

Not something that really intrests me though.

It just so happens that I'm the one with the most experience at the table, so I'm just on the look out for super cheesy stuff, AKA broken shit. Mostly so that I don't accidentally pick stuff of that nature when I'm optimizing whatever character I run. Since I'm probably going to be the only on there who will have a strong concept on how to optimize in D&D, despite my lack of familiarity with this particular setting, I'm relativity sure that I'm the only one with a fair chance of doing so.

The other part is just to see what floats around to see if there's anything I should tell the DM to ban/re-rule, such as netfighting since you mentioned it specifically. I'm considering telling them to just ban UA outright, just to save the headaches that book causes. I'll have to look through carefully first though, but I don't think I've every someone refrence it without complaining about it.

I should probably sit them down and be a bit more clear about why these games need to have heavy restrictions on certain things before we actually have people work on their characters. That'll be fun...

Yay...
>>
>>50388041
Honestly don't worry about netfighting because nobody will go to the rule lawyering extent to realize it exists, and the DM will just say 'Wait, this is bullshit' the moment you try to pull it.
It's literally 'I use the net to make a melee attack which then basically upgrades the net's attack from not dealing damage to dealing damage'.

Don't even need to ban UA. Only make sure that if anybody is playing UA, that they're not taking single dip multiclasses into anything really suspicious. Otherwise, it should be perfectly fine.

If you want to try to not overshadow everybody, take something that's bad and try to make it viable. For example, beastmaster ranger by the PHB can actually be okay if you make a net attack and then let your pet make an attack afterwards.

Warlock or Rogue aren't exactly overpowered, but they could be fun if you don't take any of the extra-specific multiclasses shown above.

Charisma paladin isn't bad because it's very team-support focused.

You can even go a wizard that focuses more on control spells than blasting spells, which allows everyone else to blow shit up while you're secretly controlling the board behind the scenes.

Bard is pretty supportey, too.

Barbarian is good at basically just not dying.

Heck, honestly, all the best classes fit well into a good team rather than doing everything themselves. Paladins/bards can do a lot of different things and might overshadow really bad builds, but they should hopefully not mesh badly.
>>
>>50388088
>>50388041
Well, uhh, basically, what I mean in short:
Don't worry about it. Don't even ban anything at all.

DO ban homebrew unless you know 5e very well, encourage people to instead fluff up existing options and otherwise if they really can't then you can look over homebrew and determine if it's just stupid or not.
Feel free to post any homebrew you're concerned about here because I absolutely love pissing all over the sad excuse many people call 'homebrew', though there are a few homebrews I've considered quite interesting, even if they're not perfect. Even the PHB isn't perfect.
>>
>>50388041
You worry too much. The other guy told you of very fringe and rare things you can do that could "break the game" if your DM can't say no.

5E is well designed. Even UAs are OK. You'll be fine.
>>
>>50388088
>If you want to try to not overshadow everybody, take something that's bad and try to make it viable.
It's generally what I do in these situations, though there have been times where I was unfamiliar with a setting and took something I thought was shit and then had it end up being amazing somehow.

Ain't nothing like having your artificer blow up a boss with one punch...

Anyway, I just want to be that boring guy who helps make everyone else's story more exciting, and I'm just feeling around to make sure I don't accidentally grab protagonist's privilege.
>>
How would you design something that allows spells to function at triple their normal affect?
>>
>>50384934
>>50385111
Maybe you're holding their hands a little too tight? If you keep helping them, they have little incentive to figure things out for themselves. Don't help them level up, at best, point them to a page number in the PHB. If they don't want to buy it right away, get them the pdf or let them borrow yours.

I've had a similar process. The first time I tried getting into rpgs, my group told me how to do everything, and I learned nothing. Then I didn't play for a few years, and when I tried it again with a new group, our DM said, you can make your own characters, but I won't make them for you. This way there was a direct reward for digging into character creation. Also, if you've made your own character, you're more inclined to learn to play them.
>>
So Cleric and Monk have some synergy, in my mind. If I were to multiclass, what way should it lean? Monk 2/Cleric X seems obvious enough - unarmored defense and speed boost with a couple emergency ki points. Or should Cleric be the dip? Cleric 3/Monk X for capped level 1 slots. I see either doing respectable damage with moderate tanking abilities, so what it really comes down to is whether or not the late-game Cleric spells are worth it.
>>
>Favored Soul Sorcerer (Life) + Undying Light Warlock

I've fleshed this out and it's pretty retarded, but I'm not sure where the best places to distribute levels are

Start Sorc, then Warlock 2, then just Sorc on through? Tomelock would be nice for rituals (can I cast Sorc spells that are rituals that I learn from Sorc levels as rituals with Tome?)

Either way at level 2, 1 sorc 1 lock, I'd have +cha to fire and radiant, medium armor and shields and simple weapons, and 6 cantrips + sacred flame and light.

Pretty busted, but my GM loves UA and shit and cleared me for it. It's exceptionally thematic at least, the character is also probably going to be an Aasimar
>>
>>50388100
I told them that if anyone wants to homebrew something that they need to run it by me first. I generally know stupid when I see it when it comes to that sort of stuff. You know how it is when you GM enough games.

>>50388113
Probably, but I want their first time running things to go down as smooth as possible. At the very least I want to be able give them something to bite down on for when they inevitably need it.
>>
>>50387754
It is impossible to sneak attack via net sans sharpshooter, you always have disadvantage.
>>
>>50388149
Okay here's what you do when MCing Monk/Cleric.

Always start as a Monk for saving throws you'll need for melee.

Pick your domain and martial tradition so they synergize.

A cleric doesn't have to be a priest, they are just someone chosen by a god for their personal virtues or deeds.

Generally don't take more than 3 cleric levels if you expect to go to level 20.

If you are in a low level campaign then split it evenly.

Non-magic attack resistance is a thing so better get those 6 monk levels fast or get 3 levels as a Sun soul monk.

I generally use these domains with Monk:

Knowledge (extra skills everywhere), Arcana (Booming blade/Green flame blade with dex spears and you still get the bonus action unarmed strike/FOB), and most recently Forge (give your party fighter a +1 on his armour and get your self a +1 to your weapon oh and cast SHIELD ALL DAY and BURNING SMITE WITH YOUR FISTS).
>>
>>50388128
Then play a Life Cleric, brah. Lots of support, great heals, all around a perfect class to help others have a good time. Bard also works with that, throwing Inspiration everywhere.
>>
How do you multiclass Moon Druid / Monk? Which monk features can you use while wild shaped?
>>
File: trickery.png (19KB, 544x394px) Image search: [Google]
trickery.png
19KB, 544x394px
Some houserule changes to the Trickery domain, some just to change the flavor more towards madness and deep water because of the setting, but also some straight buffs.
>>
>>50388149
Monk doesn't really have very much multiclass synergy with anything.

If they wear armour, they lose speed.
If they obtain other bonus actions, it clashes with their main attack.
Their punches take monk levels to increase damage.
If they stop levelling monk, they get less ki points.
They have 1d8 HP.
Their level 1 feature only gives them that bonus attack and ability to use dex with simple weapons (but not make them finesse). Their unarmoured defence is rarely useful for anyone but themselves, they need 20 dex and 20 wis to get more AC than a fighter in heavy armour with the +1 AC while armoured fighting style. They can't even use shields with it.
Their level 2 feature does not apply if they wear armour and ki does not do a lot if you've only got 2 ki. At least a rage lasts a whole minute for barbarians with 2 rages to start with.
Their level 3 tradition ability mostly keys off of having ki, which requires more levels. Deflect missiles gets better with monk levels, uses a reaction and is situational. It also uses ki, potentially.
Level 4, again, is dependent on monk level and situational. ASI is still nice.
Level 5 is extra attack, which many others already get at level 5. Stunning strike is great, but you want more ki to use it more often.

And it goes on.

Monks don't feature features great for multiclass such as 'action surge', '+1 AC', 'you do straight-up more damage'.
>>
>>50388238
If only dwarves made decent monks.
Forge Cleric + Way of the Open Hand just doesn't mesh well with any other class.
>>
>>50388353

Dwarves make decent STR monks.

But nobody plays those thanks to their low AC and having to start with High WIS and at least 13 Dex while having no means to hit shit with their attacks due to mediocre STR.

Try asking your DM if he will allow for the AC calculation to use 10+Wis mod+Str mod instead of 10+Wis mod+Dex mod.
>>
>>50388377
>str monk
Why would you even do that?
The only way to make that sensible is to take at least one level of barbarian, wear medium armour and say goodbye to your speed.

Mountain dwarfs suck anyway unless you really hate multiclassing. Dwarfs don't get penalized for having low strength, and thus can dump strength. Mountain dwarfs then just give them a load of strength anyway. And it doesn't even give you heavy armour proficiency.
Hill dwarf + at least one level in fighter or cleric is best.
>>
>>50388391
>>50388377
Though I'll say I'd allow 10+wismod+strmod because honestly that's still purposefully gimping yourself and you at least deserve that slight grace.
>>
>>50388377
>>50388391
Is the only reason STR Monks can't be done Unarmored Defense?
I guess Deflect Missiles also uses Dexterity but that's not even a huge issue.

If that's just about Unarmored Defense, allowing 10+WIS+STR doesn't seem broken one bit. Am I missing something?
>>
>>50384934
DM online
Legions of people waiting for a good DM. You can also sift through the thrash players really quick
>>
>>50385495
Holy fuck, that's a good player. Siege with a dragon's aid will be pretty cool m8.
Tell the guy some monkey faggot loves him.
>>
File: IMG_0469.jpg (86KB, 499x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0469.jpg
86KB, 499x700px
What do you guys want to see for the Fighter UA?

Personally I would like to see two things:

1. Some kind of pure defensive fighting style. I want to feel like a brick wall to dragons and liches n shit
2. I'd like to see some sort of rework on champion fighter. Personally the aesthetic of a Big Dude swinging a Big Sword I've always loved, but the fighting style just feels so bland. Mechanically it's good but damn is it boring. No numbers tuning but something that would give me a little more tools to play with
>>
>>50388502
>No numbers tuning but something that would give me a little more tools to play with
You mean Battlemaster ? :^)

To be honest, I really don't know what they'll give us in most UAs. Druids and Fighters especially.
>>
>>50388520
Yeah I'm quite curious about druids. Fighters have a few with the scout, cavalier, monster hunter etc. but I'm not sure what they'll do with druids because there's already one focusing on wild shape and another on the spell casting, which is the two major things. They can just do other stuff and have the archetypes not have consisten fluff, like rot druid and all that, but even then I'm not sure if they'll give them circle spells and such.
>>
>>50388141
Please respond.
>>
>>50388281
monk 6 for surprise bear
>>
>>50388141
>>50388593
Are you saying this for a magic item or a class/race? Need more information
>>
>>50388141
What do you mean?
Like how many uses? What it looks like? Attunement or not?
I mean if you just mean general you could do this
>Morgo's Magic Diaper
>While wearing this diaper, as a bonus action you can shit yourself and feed the magic within, and for the next minute the first spell casted by the user has it's effects trippled. Recharges upon the dawn of the next day.
>Diaper is also magically infused with a bag of holding so it can hold more fecal matter and urine than the average diaper.
>>
>>50388408
Dexterity is literally just a direct upgrade of strength if you have the option of using it.

Even if you made all of monk's abilities 'either strength or dexterity', dexterity would still be the better choice, unless you're a barbarian.
>>
>>50388281
Monk moon druid are really great, hell monk 6/moon druid 2 is still fantastic.
>Warhorse
>Have unarmed AC so 10+wis mod AC
>4 attacks with hooves, for 8d6+16 damage if all hit
>All attacks are magical for overcoming resistances
>Fisty monk can start stunning striking and doing all that other shit
>Jump everywhere, no fall damage
>Proficiency in stealth for ninja horse
>>
Question, how much would need to change if one were to make str increase all weapon attack rolls, with finesse only applying to attack bonus?
>>
File: shillelagh.png (46KB, 307x240px) Image search: [Google]
shillelagh.png
46KB, 307x240px
Should anyone allow Shillelagh being used on fists/caestus?

Could it save Monks ?
>>
>>50388680
This would do nothing but kneecap rogues, rangers, and dex fighters. It would probably also fuck up monks, too. And valor bards, bladelocks, and bladesingers would be totally fucked as well.

So don't.
>>
>>50388680
>dex is only good for initative, stealth, and AC now
Jesus Christ, I mean I like it because it reminds me of dark souls with health/other things being very different stats, but it make the game very different
>>
>>50388720
>kneecaps rogues
The dex modifer don't matter, it's the sneak attack that does the real meat damage at higher levels
>>
>>50388680
Actually, not too much now that I think about it.

You'd need to give a damage buff to rogue, certainly, not sure about fighters/rangers/whatever.
Dex fighters would be less able to do anything other than fire crossbows in faces, and that's all they'd ever do since there's almost no problem with them doing so.
Rangers would never melee.
Sword and boarders would actually have more of a reason to go strength instead of dexterity.

It'd work out.

>>50388687
You can use it on a quarterstaff. That's already most of monk's attacks, though kinda sucks more for open hand monk or high levelled monks.
>>
>>50388282
Bump
>>
Tg, how would you go about designing a ritual to create a Wood Woad?

What I've got down so far is the ritual steps described by Volo's Guide To Monsters, a magic seed, heart of a hag, and a combination of the 8 version of Plant Growth and the Awaken spell.
>>
>>50388784
>>50388282
I don't like the change of theme. Trickery Domain isn't Warlock's Great Old One.
>>
>>50388687
>how to save monks
>make Flurry of Blows be a number of unarmed strikes equal to their proficiency bonus
>>
>>50388788
Well that's good. What else would you want? I don't understand.
>>
>>50388810
Do you mean that a monk should be able to make 5 attacks a turn by spending only 1 ki point at 5th level ?

Assuming 18 DEX and quarterstaff, that's 2d8+3d6+20 damage, so ~39 DPR assuming all hit.
>>
>>50388810
>paladin 11/barbarian1/UArevisedranger1/monk2+X
>at high levels, 8 attacks with flurry of blows
>+2 damage from rage to every attack
>+1d8 damage from improved divine smite to every attack
>+2 damage against favoured enemy to every attack
God forbid your DM give you anything that increases the damage of your punches
>>
>>50388848
>barbarian
No, make it hex, for that extra d6 on every attack, and it lasts for longer and regens on short rest
>>
>>50388842
Yes, it'd be very powerful. At 5th level, when all classes have a big power bump. Eventually it'd fall behind again.

>>50388848
Now there's the problem with my idea: multiclassing. Guess I'd have to word it in a way to increase only with monk levels, or just specify when Flurry of Blows gains another attack. Maybe arrange it so it comes right after the proficiency bump (6th, 10th, 14th, 18th).
>>
>>50388890
Aren't monks already pretty powerful at 5th level, at the moment?
Have you done the comparative math on following levels? 5 attacks seems huge.
>>
>>50388889
Takes a bonus action to transfer.
You will pulverise your enemy and then be unable to apply hex to the next target.
Barbarian only requires one bonus action and then you'll be fine for a minute.
You also get 2 rages per day, other benefits such as physical damage resistance and whatever. Also you can't lose 'concentration' unless something manages to calm you down by making you do nothing and having you un-attacked.
2 rages/day is actually better than 1 hex /short rest if you don't get a short rest, anyway.

>>50388890
Eh, it still leaves the problem that monk can't actually multiclass with anything because it has barely any synergy with anything else and everything it has scales with monk level, pretty much.

Also, a monk can also benefit from other effects such as 'enlarge person', and rolling lots of dice might get a bit tedious.
Not to mention, open hand ability spam being too strong and being able to use stunning fist on the same target as many as 8 times without even doing anything fancy at high levels.

5x legendary resistance? Ha!
>>
>>50388803
It's not old one though, it's mental manipulation and psychic shenanigans. I get not liking it, but I don't think any psychic or madness elements automatically makes something lovecraftean. The god is the god of the ocean, deep waters, strange sea creatures and so on.
>>
>>50388617
Thanks man. More as a special quality of a creature.
>>
>>50388141
You probably shouldn't.

Don't give monsters special powers that don't make sense.

Even a god can't triplecast wish 'just because'. Yes, they could probably do something like cast wish three times if they're powerful enough, but turning a single cast of wish into three casts of wish is something insane and should not be done.

If you limit it to certain spells, you can define exactly what happens for each spell.
>>
>>50388814

More plausibility. My DM is a hard sell
>>
>>50388982
Well in my headcannon, a creature which has the ability to magnify spells (at will or otherwise) would need to have some sort of debilitating problem. Did they drink the magical koolaid? Did they fuck a fey? These things could cause that problem. I could imagine it being painful should they do this property. Perhaps it's an uncontrolled event?

If you want to be boring have it based on a % or a charge system. Something like
>upon casting a spell, the creature has a [percentage] chance to triple the damaging or healing effect of the spell cast
>4 times per long rest you can channel your [magic] to be super effective doing triple whatever

Or it could be a risk management type deal
>on a successful spell attack, you can take 1d10 fire damage to triple the effects of the spell
>when you cast a spell you can choose tO split yourself into three, each a copy of yourself with 1/3 of your hit points which cast the spell you chose. If you do, each clone can only cast one spell. If any of your clones would die you permanently lose the amount of hit points the copy had. At the end of the round, any copies you have are returned to you and you gain health equal to the amount each copy had remaining
>>
>>50389069
Thanks man, for the questions and inspiration.
How about something as simple as >any spell with x property has all numerical properties tripled.
Would that wording fit within the design paradigm of 5e?
>>
Need a NPC background generator, I'm in need of several NPCs to fill a city with 100k people, but the generators I found (donjon, d20pfsrd and Wizard's) don't have the option to choose things like merchant, etc, only classes.
>>
>>50386597
Arab.
>>
>>50389139
dunno if that works for you but this list aint total shit so here you go
>>
>>50389117
Try implementing that in your game and see what happens, i triple dog dare you
>>
>>50389181
Thank you, I'll take a look.
>>
>>50386888

Call Lightning is better over the course of a fight and it scales really well too. There's no limit to the damage of the spells you can maximize.

The only downside is that Destructive Wave doesn't increase in damage as you upcast it. The fact that they have to be outdoors to fly is a bummer too.
>>
>>50389117
>>50389117
Ehh that sounds like it could get wonky. Example: if the spell calls for say 2d4, does that mean you roll 6d12?

In general it's best to avoid words like "all" or "every" except in AoE situations. Words like that have a high rate of being abused
>>
>>50389206
Mostly I'm testing monster design.
>>
>>50387372

You could go a Wis/Int/Con Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>50383857
>>50388282 is what I'm doing, basically longer duration on CDs because they are very limited in use as is, some skills, and psychic is super good while poison is trash.
>>
>>50389224
Yeah, it would be something like that wouldn't it?

Another example would be aura of life, which have its range tripled to a 90 foot radius and nonhostile, living creatures regains 3 hit points.

Don't worry, this is for an avatar.
>>
>>50388502

a) Maybe a new take on EK.
b) Definitely Monster Hunter
c) some new cool shit. Something that focuses on being as defensive as possible would be neat.
>>
>>50389230
It barely matters who gets it.

With a feature like that your monsters are gonna have quite the offensive CR value indeed.
Your players are going to absolutely adore fighting a monster that can trigger the "killed outright" rule on a player character with its first action. 90% of the battle would be determined on the roll of initiative.
>>
>>50389267
>a) Maybe a new take on EK.
As in a remake because you think it's bad, or a magical fighter that doesn't just tank?
>>
>>50388408

Dexterity also affects a better save (and synergizes with Evasion), gives you initiative, while also giving you to hit, better skills, damage, and AC. It's just not worth it to use strength.
>>
>>50389276

Maybe a rework of it to make it's features a little more synergetic. I don't think it NEEDS it though, by any means.
>>
>>50389280
Actually, i think any synergy you might suppose Evasion could have with Dexterity is pretty thoroughly counterbalanced by the fact that even if you fail the dexterity check, you only stand to lose half as much.

5e Evasion is always 3.5e Improved Evasion, after all.
>>
>>50389274
Good points; it's for an avatar though, so what you've posted is actually good to read.
>>
>>50389284
Have you tried the Bladesinger from Sword Coast Advnturer's Guide?

Looks like it would be cool, but held back by the wizard's hitdie, never had the confidence to run one personally.
>>
>>50389230
As >>50389274 says spells are already really high damage, just doubling it would mean the offensive and defensive capabilities are hugely imbalanced. Fireball already does this when ~CR4 creatures have it and can instakill an entire party that is supposed to be fine against it, because the resource component of it (spell slots) don't matter, and the spells are balanced around using against monsters and monsters have way higher hp.
>>
Anyone else think the leftside-black back cover of the 5e books feels really weird?
>>
>>50389316

I haven't but based on mechanics I don't think it's fightery enough to capture the gish feeling I want in my magic fighter. I like the 10/10 MC even if it's not optimized though.

They're not bad by any means, you just have a nice and powerful normal attack instead of buffed spells. You have a nice damage absorption shield and ac too though.
>>
File: nJtfC9u.jpg (123KB, 761x1049px) Image search: [Google]
nJtfC9u.jpg
123KB, 761x1049px
Thoughts on making a swarm of mimic coins?
Basically the chest isn't a mimic, the coins inside are.
I'd probably use Swarm of Insects as baseline and add the classic mimic features.
>>
>>50389293

Still better to take 0 than half, but at least you'll still have your proficiency bonus.

It's still not a great idea unless you really want to grapple, unfortunately.
>>
>>50389335

Dungeon meshi already did that.
>>
>>50389330
Yeah, biggest issue is the Hitdie though sadly, Maybe it would be worth taking a fighter level somewhere to get action surge and second wind.
>>
>>50389359

It absolutely is, although I wouldn't go more than 2 if you wanted to be the best wizard you can be. Also, Song of Defense is REALLY good, especially against the damaging effects you'll be facing in the later parts of the game.

Remember, too, that you're still a Wizard. You should be primarily chucking spells from the back line, you just get the option to move into melee to help clean up with your blade singing, extra attack, and eventually Int to damage. I wouldn't say it's the "optimal" Wizard build, but it's certainly not a bad way to play your Wizard.
>>
>>50389335
>>50389347
It's not particularly original, but I'm asking about how to run it, what CR to give, any thoughts really.
>>
>>50389379
Yeah, having had a look at the fighter I can see how hugely frontloaded it is, you get so much even for just a 1 level dip.

>Combat style (You'd pick duelling for +2 damage)
>all the weapons
>up to medium armour ( not a factor for the bladesinger really)
>second wind

Action surge is level 2 and while it is an incredible boost to both as a melee combatant and a wizard (double fireball for area clearance) it might not be worth it since you lose an ability score increase from wizard level 19 as well as an extra level 6 spell slot.
>>
>>50389343
>Still better to take 0 than half
That is trivially true, but entirely beside the point.

I'm gonna assume you don't understand what I was trying to say, so let me rephrase: it is half as important to successfully beat the DEX save if you have Evasion, simply based on the fact that the effect you're saving against is half as big, and thus half as important.

As a mental exercise, picture the logical extreme of this: what if Evasion divided the damage you would take on a failed save by 10.
So let's say a fireball rolls 31 damage against you: your saving throw will now determine whether you (A) take 3 damage, or (B) take zero damage.
How important is it to have a high DEX saving throw bonus under this theoretical circumstance?

If your answer is "still better to take 0 than 3 damage" you would still be trivially correct, but then I've clearly wasted my time explaining this to you.
>>
>>50389379

Mage Armor (20AC)+ Shield + Blur + Mirror Image +Blink all at once does make you hilariously difficult to kill if you want to try the front line.

Damage output is fairly crap, but imagining four blurry wizards zapping in and out of reality while stabbing people makes up for it somewhat.

Just try not to get hits by AoE or saving throw attacks, or you might die instantly.
>>
>>50389414

Personally, level 18 is where Wizards get Spell Mastery, which might as well be their capstone to me. I'm fine dipping two levels into Fighter after that to get the ability to cast two spells in one turn.

It's great with not a bladesinger who goes for Warcaster too, because it also means your Wizard can use a shield.
>>
>>50389414
>Action surge is level 2 and while it is an incredible boost to both as a melee combatant and a wizard (double fireball for area clearance)

There's a rule in some random part of the PHB that states you can only take the "Cast a Spell" action once per turn regardless, unless it's a cantrip, iirc
>>
>>50389424

I got what you're saying. I don't think it devalues Dex as a stat that much though; Dex saves are still better than Strength saving throws overall and having more chance to take 0 damage than half damage is still better than dumping Dex and having...a better grapple?

Monks don't really need to grapple anyways. I can understand if it's for a character concept, though. I guess.

I might just let someone refluff the Barbarian.
>>
Having an awesome time playing my Scourge Aasimar Sun Soul Monk, I'm slightly behind the curve (6th level and my Dex/Wis are just 16, but at least my con is 16 too) but the fun never ends, when I reach 10th level my kaioken (Radiant Consumption) is going to be renamed SSJ1.
>>
>>50389427

>AOE or saving throw attacks

That's what Song of Defense is for.

>>50389439

That only applies to spells that you cast as a bonus action. If you get two actions, and you use those two actions to cast spells, you're fine. But if you somehow cast a spell as a bonus action (whether it's an ability or the spell is just naturally a bonus action) you can only cast cantrips for the rest of that turn, even if you action surge.
>>
My Half Elf OoA Paladin is going to have Performance as a skill proficiency.
Folk Hero background. So he just does it for fun, he wasn't any kind of Entertainer.

I was thinking of making him some kind of dancer. I was gonna have him do Haka dances, but that seems more like intimidation than performance. Any suggestions?
>>
>>50389484
I guess it's Intimidate but it's down to your DM.

I'd say Intimidate because that's the purpose of the action, otherwise you could just take performance and use it for deception and persuasion (BUT I'M ACTTTTTTIIIIIING!!!!!) or something.
>>
>>50389452
>Playing volo's aasimar
Spotted the munchkin powergamer, what do I win?
>>
>>50383766
>One of the players gets put in jail after a minor crime spree and as a way to introuduce a new character and explain his absesnce from last session
>gets out of jail, set a 50 gold bail for the release of the other dude
>tries to break out twice instead of paying the fee
>almost gets executed but makes a 20 on a constitution check to survive the hanging
>breaks a deal for a permenant exile from the city
Jesus fucking christ dude, it's 50 gold and you're carrying 200
>>
File: 1479685063166.jpg (35KB, 296x296px) Image search: [Google]
1479685063166.jpg
35KB, 296x296px
>>50389502
>bonus 30 radiant damage once per turn

wwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeewwww lad

Didn't even read the Aasimar, just assumed it would be a minor tweak from the balanced DMG version.

who would be so crazy to add this?

>Lead Designer: Mike Mearls
>>
>>50389607
Citation needed
>>
File: 5eg anon reads the phb.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
5eg anon reads the phb.png
557KB, 700x483px
>>50389607
You may want to try reading again. Maybe ask your mother for help.
>>
>>50389639
>>50389642
>bonus damage equals your level

typo'd 3 instead of 2.
>>
>>50389607
>>50389655
He's eating 10 damage per turn by doing that anon, he deals 20, sure, but takes 10.
>>
>>50389502
>Class that urgently needs Dex/Wis
>Race that gives you Cha/Con
>munchkin powergamer
Is this another /tg/ doesnt' know what the words he's using mean episode?
>>
>>50389667
That doesn't seem like an issue frankly.

>deal 40 damage per turn against undead in aoe
>take 10 damage
>have cleric
>>
>>50386028
During the golden age of piracy, a pirate ship was a beacon of democracy among the professional military and merchant ships they encountered. Many were once pro sailors who abandoned ship because conditions were that shitty, even among the top navies of the time. A pirate had more freedom and could enjoy more luxuries, and had just as long a life span. Every man on a pirate ship had the right to vote when presented with choices. The captain wasn't a total tyrant, but some were.
>>
>>50389726
>40 against undead
Again, citation needed
>>
>>50389741
>20
>with weakness
>40
>>
>>50389773
>undead
>weakness to radiant
citation needed
>>
Well fellas, it seems like the autists have risen from their slumber.

It was a fun thread.
>>
File: undead.png (235KB, 588x523px) Image search: [Google]
undead.png
235KB, 588x523px
>>50389779
>>
>>50389805
>I find ONE undead who happens to be vulnerable to radiant therefore all undeads are vulnerable to radiant
You have to back your arguments anon
>>
File: nglm0g4zyvr04t0lzbam.jpg (231KB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
nglm0g4zyvr04t0lzbam.jpg
231KB, 800x1055px
>>50389805
Are you trying to damage control a point? you said undeads are weak against radiant and that's false. As far as i know only three creatures from the monster's manual are vulnerable to radiant, shadow, shadow demon something and vampire
>>
>>50389805
>random picture of a cropped profile
Citation needed
>>
>>50389836
Actually no, vampires aren't weak per se against radiant.
>>
>>50389816
I don't need to do anything.

I said I think the race is a bit bullshit because of how significant I think an aoe bonus action nuke every turn for a minute vs 10 damage a turn on your character.,

The fact that I gave an exaggerated example is not me attempting to deceive you, it's me stating how bullshit I think it can be.

I have no interest in deceiving you, you are an anonymous poster on an image board I gain nothing by convincing you of my perspective.
>>
>>50389858
>Got everything wrong since the begining
>"I don't need to back shit up, I can bullshit whatever I want!"
Sure thing, bro
Next time, to don't make a fool out of yourself, read the fucking manual, family
>>
File: DC.jpg (19KB, 318x322px) Image search: [Google]
DC.jpg
19KB, 318x322px
>>50389858
>>
>>50389607
I know somebody who says wweeeww lad all the time IRL... Josh?
>>
>>50389639
>>50389741
>>50389779
>>50389852
Citation needed
>>
File: 18eteb.png (478KB, 577x1141px) Image search: [Google]
18eteb.png
478KB, 577x1141px
So now that they retooled AC stacking does that means that I can wear bitching looking armors as a monk and still use unarmored defense and martial arts instead?
>>
>>50390044
You don't get the bonus speed etc when wearing armor.
>>
>>50390044
Martials arts and unarmored defense still specify that you can't wear armor and benefit from those features, regardless of what "retooling" you're talking about.

Though when it comes to appearances, rule of cool reigns supreme so have at it.
>>
>>50390044
You have to not be wearing armor to use unarmored defense. You can still use natural armor, though.
>>
>>50390014
...who is this?
>>
File: Dethklok.jpg (64KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dethklok.jpg
64KB, 500x330px
What are their classes?

Nathan is barbarian/bard (because thunderhorse)
Pickles is rogue/bard
Swisgar is wizard/bard (his race is aasimar)
Toki is cleric/bard (because he's the purest of heart)
Murderface is a fighter. Nope, he doesn't multiclass into bard- they just let him pluck on an unplugged bass.
>>
>>50390021
Sure, pag 105 of volo's manual for the actual damage of Aasimars
Undeads not vulnerable to radiant pages 23, 29, 44, 47, 48, 84, 134, 147, 148, 202, 228, 229, 233, 259, 272, 273, 279, 295, 297, 298, 300, 301, 302, 316

Undead, singular, vulnerable to radiant pag 269
>>
>>50390128
Citation needed
>>
>>50390063
But draconic sorcerer now can wear armor and still use scales like lizardfolk even though the book says you can't, why monk can't?
>>
>>50390139
Because sorcerer doesn't have the stipulation of being unarmored
>>
>>50390148
Yes it does
>Additionally, parts of your skin are covered by a thin sheen of dragon-like scales. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
>>
>>50389795
No wait, I also just woke up! I'm only slightly autistic!
>>
>>50390157
If it says you can't, then why did you say in the other post they can? Is there an errata saying sorcerers can wear armor and still use scales?
>>
>>50390139
Citation needed.

Lizardfolk scales specify they work if the armor you're wearing is worse. Sorcerer scales specify that they only work when you're not wearing armor.
>>
>>50390221
This doesn't make sense, it's needlessly complex and shits on previous rule. i thought 5e wanted to go in a different direction than 3.PF.
>>
>>50390247
It avoids complexity by specifying rules instead of hiding general rules elsewhere in the book that apply to that situation (most of the time, anyway).

Have dragon sorcerer scales? Read the feature.

Have lizardfolk scales? Read the feature.

Unarmored defense? Read the feature.

Simple. Follow what the feature says.
>>
>>50390247
>i thought 5e wanted to go in a different direction than 3.PF.
lol no, they go in the same direction, just using a different means of transport
>>
>>50390247
What doesn't make sense is putting on armor when you have an AC ability and then wondering why your ability doesn't work.
>>
>>50389213
Main thing here is you can cast lightning bolt if you can't cast call lightning (busy concentrating, not outside) or even lightning bolt, maximize that instead of call lightning and then call lightning right afterwards.

Call lightning scales really well with upcasting, though.
Perhaps if you upcast it high enough it'd be worth maximizing and you can forget about bothering to cast lightning bolt in the first place just to take advantage of the maximize.

Thing is, if your DM gives you something such as a wand of lightning then the maxmize damage is ridiculous.
If your DM gives you a weapon that deals lightning damage with every hit, lightningbolt strike also gets even more use.

>>50389667
>10 damage a turn
They deal RADIANT DAMAGE to themselves
Aasimar get RADIANT DAMAGE RESISTANCE
Whose idea was this?
>>
>>50390265
>Dragon sorcerer
>Mage armor
>Lizardfolk
>Unarmored defense
>Natural armor
>Barkskin
Wew, thanks for "reducing" the complexity wotc.
>>
>>50390275
>Whose idea was this?
Aasimar's, or you thought they were stupid enough to hit themselves hard?

>>50390274
It doesn't make sense that when you put padded armor you suddenly don't know how to punch, move and dodge
>>
>>50390274
No, what makes less sense is how a lizardfolk wearing +3 leather has less defence than a lizardfolk wearing +2 humanskin.
>>
>>50390267
I want to disagree with you, but I've seen the Mystic.

>>50390247
I agree, it's inconsistent. It makes sense for monk UD to not work, but it doesn't make sense for sorc UD to not work. As a DM I'd ignore that. If a multiclass sorc put on some leather armor because he felt like it, I wouldn't give a shit.

>>50390282
You're being an idiot though. The same options in 3e would stack, except when they wouldn't, except when they would partially stack, except when the bonuses were of the same type, except when the type was "dodge."
In 5e, you choose one. If that's too complex for you, you might look into vidya instead of /tg/.
>>
>>50390100
>Swisgar is wizard/bard (his race is aasimar)

Change to Storm Sorcerer / Bard

>Toki is cleric/bard (because he's the purest of heart)

Change to Paladin Bard
>>
>>50390301
>Grab a longsword
>Suddenly forget how martial arts worked
I think monks are magically induced to be monks and have somekind of oddly specific and retarded rules ala gremlings
>>
>>50390301
I think you have a view of padded armor that's very much skewed by its traditional in-game statistics. It is BULKY. Hella bulky. You don't get protection against swords from wearing cloth unless it is very thick and restrictive. It 100% makes sense.
D&D "light armor" meme has put some very stupid ideas in people's heads over the years.
>>
>>50390301
You still know, you just are incapable of doing it. If I cut your hands off, you still know how to punch, you just can't physically do it.
>>50390308
No, the +3 leather still has more because you can use it's bonus for your natural armor, AND you can use your natural armor while wearing it.
>>
>>50384089
>>50384089
Just applied to my first game and got in. Wish me luck!
>>
>>50390340
Yet you can have a full plate and still benefit from tavern brawler or attack with whatever finessable armor without feeling a bit hindered if you aren't a monk?
>>
>>50390326
>Grab a 4-foot piece of metal
>Still be able to tumble around and perform spinning kicks

>>50390343
May you be blessed with teammates who are the kind of players you aspire to be.
>>
>>50390350
>>Still be able to tumble around and perform spinning kicks
You can if you aren't a monk
>>
>>50390341
But your +3 leather would leave you with an AC that is not less than natural armour, and by that wording you cannot use natural armour.

With +2 humanskin, you cannot deny that your armour does not leave you with an AC equal to or higher than natural armour.
Then, you can use natural armour and gain the +2 AC benefit.
>>
>>50386692
The [COLOR] [NON-PROPER NOUN]
>>
>>50390348
I sort of agree with you, but let's try playing Devil's advocate.
Tavern Brawler represents an entirely different style of unarmed combat from martial arts. It doesn't rely on subtle movements and acrobatic maneuvers, but rather on anticipating your opponent's moves and recognizing holes in unarmed defenses. Wrestling in full plate does have historical basis.
>>
File: Barovians.jpg (374KB, 981x594px) Image search: [Google]
Barovians.jpg
374KB, 981x594px
Guys, my players in CoS just killed/banished the Dark Powers in the Amber Temple. All of them. Now that they did it, will Strahd reincarnate or stay dead?
Which conditions would you place for Strahd dying and staying dead anyway?
>>
Monk was made that way because, of course in real life martial arts work with armors and weapons, fuck, all Chinese and Japanese martial arts were thought for that. Just think of D&D monk as magic, it works and it doesn't just because magic, you don't have to explain shit.
>>
>>50390363
No, magic armor bonuses are pluses to your ac, not the armor's ac calculation. Natural armor from lizardfolk works while wearing armor, so +3 leather gives them a +3 to their natural armor.
>>
>>50390374
Wrestling is a martial art. Monk get martial arts.
Shotokan is a martial arts and using it with armor was the norm.
So was kungfu
So was Aikido
So was the great majority of old martial arts
>>
>>50390395
Yes, it is a plus to your AC, but by the wording of natural armour it still leaves you with a higher AC.

The key word is 'leaves you with'. It does not refer to the armour's base AC, but rather its final AC.
>>
>>50390395
RAI, it would seem you are correct.

>>50390404
Monks aren't martial artists in the general sense of the word. They very specifically represent a Shaloin monk employing an aggressive form of Kung Fu as it appears in Chinese action flicks. That's why you have to specifically spec into grapple monks. I don't think anybody doesn't get that.
Aikido is a sport martial art with very little practical use outside of Steven Seagal movies.
>>
>>50390413
Right, if NA would leave you with higher AC, you use it. So let's compare.
11+dex+3(magic)
13+dex+3(magic)
Whoops, guess I'm right.
>>
>>50390428
And it's not even a good sport martial art, because it lacks any method of initiation so any sparring is highly contrived.
>>
File: the fuck you say.jpg (58KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck you say.jpg
58KB, 640x640px
>>50390385
Those aren't the Dark Powers. The Dark Powers are mysterious god-like forces that keep Strahd trapped forever. The Amber Temple just holds vestiges of evil from the world Barovia was originally part of, originally gathered by magic scholars before the place was taken over by a lich.

Seems like someone didn't read the module before running it.
>>
>>50390455
Hello yes, Strahd made the deal specifically with dark powers from the Amber Temple, specifically with the vestige called Vampyr.
>>
>>50390428
Shaolin monks used shields
Wuxia movies have lots of grapples, shovings and knockin people prone
And sorry, seems to be I have to be pedantic, by Aikido I mean the martial arts in which Aikido bases itself that were heavily used by ARMORED samurai and focus on locks, grappling and knocking prone
>>
>>50390385
>>50390455
Also, one of them has broken free sometime in the past, so if you've 'changed' it to them actually being the dark powers, you can always have the freed one be extra powerful secret chaos boss or whatever and not anticlimax your campaign out of a deadly finish.
>>
>>50390484
That vestige isn't what's keeping Barovia like it is. He accepted the dark gift and became a vampire, but it was the Dark Powers themselves that trapped him and his lands in eternal suffering.
>>
>>50390485
D&D monk is not a shaolin monk, is what some neckbeards back in the 70s thought shaolin monks were, and that image still persists today. Why monk works the way it works? because tradition, logic has absolutely nothing to do with it. So, again, imagine it's magic, and you don't have to explain shit.
>>
>>50390356
They are especially good at running around, jumping, dodging, ducking, weaving, whatever, unarmored and unarmed. Even if they're trained with a longsword or to be able to wear heavy armor, they are not trained in doing those things with those restrictions. How is this hard to grasp. If you want to be able to train to use monk stuff with heavy armor, ask the Gm if you can take a feat to do that, or (if there's no mechanical benefit) ask for refluffing.
>>
>>50390500
Literally nothing at the book implies it. Dark Powers might have been some mysterious, inscrutable all-powerful entities in 2e, but it's just not the case in CoS. Just like Azalin Rex and other domains of Ravenloft than Barovia don't seem to exist.
>>
Jesus christ we even have the chair specialists in martial arts today

What's next, professional IRL templars arguing about clerics and paladins not being realistic enough

Cant we talk about a class without going into full spastic mode
>>
>>50390520
They're good at doing stuff naked and without having anything that isn't a monk weapon in their hands. They aren't better than other people though, they tend to be meh, except in running, they're better than everybody at that.

I think they should either get rid of them and add them as a subclass for some martials (rogue, fighter, barbarian, paladin) or fucking find an actually role for them, the "I do stuff while naked" is not a role, is a stupid gimmick.
>>
>>50390446
>"You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC."
The +3 AC is a property of the armour.
You must factor in the +3 AC before you determine what the armor 'leaves you with'.

Pay attention to the damn wording.

You'd be right if it said 'if your armour has a lower AC' because the +3 AC is not part of the armour's AC itself.

If an old man itends to give you leather armour and a +3 AC but left before he gave you the +3 AC, you would not get the +3 AC. That's how the English language is.
>>
>>50390485
If you're going to be pedantic on Aikido, then I'm actually going to agree with you.
But again, I'm talking about the shaolin monks in Chinese actions flicks (not necessarily Wuxia) of the sort that delivers rapid-fire punches and jump really high, not the Jackie Chan-style brawling in the actually good martial arts films. Think less Drunken Master, more House of Flying Daggers or even old-school Dragonball.
>>
>>50390564
Not even the same anon, but "you have a bonus to AC while wearing this armor" (magical armor description in the DMG) is consistent with not using the armor's AC calculation.
>>
>>50390541
There's a different between not being realistic to benefit you and not being realistic to fuck you over.

Clerics cast magic, is not realistic, but it's ok because it's done to help you.

Monks suddenly become shit if they hold a non monk weapon or wear anything that isn't the thinnest clothes for some reason, it's unrealistic, but it's done to fuck you over.
>>
>>50390572
>House of Flying Daggers
There were monks with shields in that movie.
>>
>>50390572
>or even old-school Dragonball
Wasn't Mutenroshi a muscle wizard in that?
>>
>>50390584
Yes, you have an AC bonus while wearing this armour.

That AC is something your armour has provided you with, and thus 'left you with'.

If your armour just grew fucking legs and left before it gave you +3 AC, you would NOT get that +3 AC.

You have to factor in the AC property of the armour.

I'm not sure how the +1 AC while wearing armour fighting style is factored in, because it is not something your armour 'leaves you with' as a property but by wearing the armour you gain +1 AC as per a class feature. Probably calculate class features after racial features or something.
>>
>>50390601
I didn't say it was a perfect example, but it's the kind of high-flying martial arts that monks are supposed to represent. And I didn't want to just use Dragonball as my only example and figured it was a good reference many people would get.

>>50390609
No, he was a monk employing some weird-ass ki powers.
>>
>>50390601
Whenever you see a dude with shield or armor or not a monk weapon in any of those movies, it's actually a wizard.
>>
>>50390623
Nah, it's a weeabo faitan magic class.
>>
>>50390622
I meant because pick related
>>
>>50390553
>That second paragraph
This to be honest familia
>>
>>50384358
That my group at least got five sessions in before every weekly meet for the past three weeks had to be cancelled for one reason or another
>>
>>50384425
are you for real? if /5eg/ is an example of anything is that people don't real the manuals
>>
So we all agree that wearing +3 leather as a lizardfolk will give you 13+dex+3(magic) AC. But if the armor was sized for a tiny creature and you wore it as a ring, would you get the bonus?
>>
>>50390722
Magic armors resize to your size.
>>
>>50387679
>First person to squeal on his neighbors gets immunity, Plant Growth cast on his field, and primo bidding rights on guilty neighbors' plots when we haul them off to royal pound-me-in-the-ass gaol.
>>
>>50390722
>all agree
That is literally proven wrong by the fact somebody is, right now, not agreeing.

If the armour only requires you to wear it for the bonus and you wore it, you'd get the +3 AC.
However, technically, you would have to wear the armour as armour as you cannot wear armour as a ring. RAI however, the DM is supposed to decide if you can wear what and where.
>>
>>50390650
Right, but the muscles aren't natural - it's more like casting bull's strength with ki or something.

>>50390720
/5eg/ is not the entire playerbase. Thank Tymora.
>>
>>50390731
Right, and my ring size is about half an inch in diameter.
>>
>>50388391
>tfw STR Monk in full plate, shield, and warhammer
>>
>>50390753
It was at this exact moment that anon crossed the line from being That Guy to actively shitposting.
>>
>>50390753
If you find a tiny magic armor, even if you're colossal, the armor will resize into a colossal armor of your size and frame, it'll perfectly fit you.
>>
>>50388391
>Why would you even do that?
I dunno, because I want to do something that EVERY martial art teaches you to do? grapplings, locks, shoving and knocking prone but thanks to 5e rules you will not be able to do almost never because monk forces you into Dex builds?
>>
>>50390777
So can't you make magic armor out of food for the tiniest creature imaginable, resize it for a titan, then serve it up as food for a nation?
>>
>>50390769
As cool as it sounds there are just so many problems with that as a build.
>>
>>50389607
>there's an issue with a level 20 character doing something
>>
>>50390801
I'd be more interested in making it of gold or something, but sure.
>>
>>50390777
This is one of the dumbest rules that have survived purely to accommodate different races in the same party.

>>50390801
Aaaaand here's why.
>>
>>50390044
>now that they retooled AC stacking
what
where
when
>>
>>50390798
>EVERY martial art teaches grappling

>>50390817
I mean, it's correct if by "retooled" anon meant "completely eliminated."
>>
>>50390798
Why even try to get strength to do that when another class will ALWAYS outclass you at grapples, even if you max out strength and ditch important things such as better saving throws, stealth, initiative and class features that key off dex and if you try to wear armour to circumvent low dex you lose your speed?

Str monk is fine as a concept, but 5e wasn't having any of it.
Open hand monk is for shoving people around.
>>
>>50390808
Magic mythril armor for a waterbear.. we're not breaking the game are we? Surely this is all intentional?
>>
>>50390808
Way to introduce massive inflation and crash the economy.

>>50390801
Way to put every farmer out of business and ensure they no longer have the income to buy clothing and pay their rent.

FUCKING Wizards
>>
>they could give monk a feature to use Dex for grappling, shoving and knocking prone
>they refused on purpose
Fuck you wotc, if I want to play a monk I'll play Anima, a game in where monks are cool (and where everybody can learn martial arts)
>>
>>50390825
Yes, every martial arts teaches you how to grapple, shove, lock, and knock prone, everyone, some focus on it more than others, and some are better than othes, but if you learn any martial art ever you'll be better at those that if you didn't, because all have some form of it.

And I mean martial arts, not whatever you and your friends came up with in your basement, I mean actual martial arts with years and years of experience, the older the better of course, and if it survived for centuries of wars even better.
>>
>>50390863
Just play a rogue with expertise in athletics. 2x proficiency and whatever strength you have is godly.
>>
>>50390888
>>50390883
>>50390863
>all this talk about how Monks / Str suck because no grappling / advantage / proficiency / enemies other than Giants
>last week and every week prior you would have sworn Grappling was the worst and most useless / underpowered mechanic in 5E given the way the general talks shit about doing anything but stabbing people
>>
>>50390888
What if I don't want to multiclass and delay my ASIs and therefore shit on my monk frame?
>>
>>50390915
If you're playing a monk, then don't try to build around grapple/etc.
>>
>>50390908
>he quotes people that mention grappling, SHOVING and KNOCKING PRONE
>he decides to focus only on grappling
This is a great example of strawman
>>
>>50390926
>doing anything that isn't stabbing people
lmao suboptimal
>>
>>50390925
This, if you want to play a proper martial artist, don't play 5e, 5e only has mememonks.
>>
>>50390937
>not locking a monster forever
>>
>>50390955
>grapple the monster forever
>it never dies
>you're just stuck there forever
>>
>>50390506
>tradition
Wut? 3.PF monks get improve grapple, improve bullrush, improve trip and improve disarm as bonus feats. for more than 16 years monks had those options in its core.
>>
>>50390937
>guy tries to be anime and fight 6 enemies at once
>all really weak enemies
>enemies do something that isn't stabbing
>guy chuckles
>guy is shoved to the floor
>guy is grappled
>guy is disarmed
>guy is kicked repeatedly into the dirt
>'b-but muh rage, muh strength'
>doesn't matter because with enough creatures they'll fail their athletics/acrobatics eventually
>>
>>50390966
>Grapple the monster in one turn
>You have the other turns to obliterate it while having advantage to attacks
Do you actually know how grapple/shove works? reduce his speed to zero with grapple, knock it prone, he can't stand up because 0 speed, knocked prone forever unless he wins against you by spending HIS actions trying to outgrapple you. You are free after the first turn if you are midly decent at athletism.
>>
>>50390975
>guy tries to be anime and fights 6 enemies at once
>all really weak enemies
>action economy bones him even if they decide to stab
>>
>>50390971
>a trap option gets other trap options
Surprising no one.

A monk can be good at grappling just by grabbing athletics proficiency. They can be great with a single level in rogue.
>>
>>50390975
>guy tries to be anime and fight 6 enemies at once
Are you like implying 6vs1 only happened on Anime? because there're a lot of historic texts from European warriors that disagree.
>>
>>50390992
>spend one or more rounds wasting actions to grapple and prone an enemy
>enemy slaps himself in the face with a shove attack
>chooses to fail his own Athletics save against himself
>shoves himself five feet backwards
>forced movement breaks your grapple
>stands up, walks 5 feet over to you, uses Extra Attack to rend your butthole
good job idiot
>>
>>50390998
>A monk can be good at grappling just by grabbing athletics proficiency
Not really, I played a lot of Dex focused chars (not only monk) with Athletism and I sucked at grappling, I failed more than 2/3 of my tries. It only works against weak as fuck enemies that die from one hit.
>>
>>50391030
>>forced movement breaks your grapple
Actually it doesn't.
>>
>>50391044
>The condition also ends if an effect moves the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell.
>>
>>50390883
You're demonstrating some glaring ignorance. "Older is better" is only true for those martial arts that aren't sport, and lots of the really old ones are really more a form of exercise or competition than an effective method of combat.
You know what successful MMA fighters tend to use? Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and modern Western wrestling. They have their roots in older arts but are fairly modern in their current form. Why? They work against other forms of martial arts really well.
You know what soldiers and commandos use? Krav Maga, which was invented less than a century ago. Why? Because it fucking works, and soldiers don't care how old something is.

I agree that any competent instructor teaches at least some grappling techniques. But they are not an important feature of any striking art; and a karate user cannot even remotely grapple with a wrestler.

And since you have been so kind as to speculate on my personal life experiences with martial arts, I'm going to go ahead and guess that your entire knowledge of the subject comes from 5 minutes on wikipedia, because hey, you can't prove me wrong.
>>
File: upsidedown wuxiafight.webm (3MB, 1280x546px) Image search: [Google]
upsidedown wuxiafight.webm
3MB, 1280x546px
>playing your Monk as a student of any martial art other than Wuxia Bullshit
>>
File: pursuer.png (584KB, 662x753px) Image search: [Google]
pursuer.png
584KB, 662x753px
Discussing monks always leads to martial arts, which always leads to a dick waving contest.

Could we get back on topic and discuss the Monk class, and what should be done (if anything could be done) to make it better? To have more of a role in a traditional party?
>>
>>50390996
Not really.
If they all decide to stab and guy being anime has stacked up enough armour, the guy will be fine, even if they crit sometimes.

If they all decide to stab the guy and he's poorly armoured, he'll be fine if he has a spell such as shield, or can kite them or launch AoEs.
He won't be able to use AoEs when tied down, normally. Depends what he has.

A monk could also just make four attacks across all of them, applying open hand and stunning fist and incapacitating about half of them consistently.

>>50391012
Sure, it can happen, but the idea of someone taking on six trained, armed and armoured guards while naked with only his fists is pretty anime.
>>
>>50391145
My martials are always wuxia shit, not totally over the top like anime but still cool
>>
>>50391159
>To have more of a role in a traditional party?
Open Hand has single-target control.

Shadow has infiltration utility.

Sun Soul has ranged blasts and AoE.

Long Death has field control.

All of them have single-target disabling.

What more do you want from them?
>>
>>50391159
>wear armor
>wear a shield
>act like a Fighter who can spend ki just to Disengage/Dash/jump real high and Stunning Strike
>>
>>50391109
>Blatantly ignoring what I said and forming a strawman around something else
What part of all teaching some form but of course some are better than others at it didnt' you understand?
>a karate user cannot even remotely grapple with a wrestler.
See above

Judo for 10 years, even went to provincial tournaments and managed to end in the top 20, but had to stop because my metabolism changed due a chronic disease and I became I twig. But I know people who practiced and still practice Tae kwon do, karate and a dude who does Aikido (though he's more of a meme martial artist).
>>
>>50391159
Monks should be (and are designed as) a rogue alternative. They are mobile, have the potential for decent-to-good damage output, and can get around various noncombat problems through clever skill and ability use.

I actually think 5e monks are decent at this role, with the Open Hand monk sacrificing a bit of noncombat utility for battlefield control and the Shadow monk going full stealth/mobility. If monks need anything, it's perhaps a really small damage boost.
>>
>>50391194
Flutter-kicking through the air, fighting on top of bamboo chutes, and summoning 30 flaming spirit-swords which you control telekinetically somehow all predate anime. Embrace it.
>>
>>50391195
He wants monks to be the best damage dealers on top of all the utility they get
>>
>>50391224
Then take a level in warlock or two in revised ranger and grab hex or hunter's mark.
>>
>>50391207
>Judo for 10 years, even went to provincial tournaments and managed to end in the top 20
Of course you did. I have no doubt that an anonymous stranger is giving me accurate credentials.

Look, all I'm saying is that yes, they teach "some" grappling, but not enough to literally be a grappling martial artist. So, a monk based on them should not be able to grapple any better than his stats/athletics proficiency allow, unless he undertakes further training (feats, etc.).

>>50391197
Just play an immortal mystic.

>>50391195
I think anon wants a coherent role for the class, like what >>50391217 is saying.
>>
>>50391220
You can't do that in 5e

You cant' even fight upside down like in here >>50391145
>>
>>50391262
why couldnt you do that in 5e

something is wrong with you
>>
>>50391259
Do I have to take a picture of my medals and diplomas? can you wait a little, I have to call my mom and tell her to look in the attic and send me pictures.
>>
>>50391262
>roll Dexterity (Acrobatics) or Strength (Athletics)
>spend Ki
>>
>>50390315
I thought of these. That makes sense.
>>
>>50391259
>Just play an immortal mystic.
My group thinks Mystics are busted somehow so I just rolled a Fighter/Monk and am doing basically the same shit. They have no clue what's going on because I've renamed all my features and describe them in a weird way, so they think the DM allowed some bullshit homebrew class or using a bizarre four-way multiclass.
>>
>>50391259
Not him but nobody says the monk should be the best, just that he should be able to do it efficiently.

A paladin just for having athletism is already better than a monk, who trained in martial arts, at grappling, shoving, etc. You have to gimp yourself by putting a good roll on Str to be as good as the Paladin, someone not supposed to be better than you at grappling, shoving, etc.

Though this isn't a problem in my games, I allow monks to use Dex on athletism. Yeah, yeah, I know I know, whatever homerule I use means nothing.
>>
>>50391217
Except rogues are better at being mobile, because they don't rely on a scarce resource. They deal better average damage and have expertise which makes their skills better than those of a monk. Monk only wins in speed.
>>
mystic fucking when
>>
>>50391296
>He still lives with his mom
laughinggirls.png
>>
>>50391296
No, I don't really care about who you are in real life (although FWIW I actually do believe you). I think we can respect each other's opinion enough without pulling rank.

>>50391331
A paladin is a warrior, and has practiced martial arts, so he has some grappling knowledge. There's nothing wrong with that.
The monk is also a warrior, and he has practiced different martial arts.
Neither class is a grappler by its very nature, though; such a class does not exist at the moment.

>>50391365
I did say monks need a little bit of damage. Monks have access to a few skills rogues do not. Depending on archetype, monks are better at CC (Open Hand) or mobility and stealth (Shadow). They don't have to be "better" to be a viable alternative.
>>
>>50391388
hopefully fourth monday from now after monk UA
But maybe only after they finish releasing UA for all the printed races
>>
>>50391262
Not with that attitude, you can't
>>
New thread >>50391447
>>
What kind of Perfomance would someone who is high in Strength and Charisma, but low in Dexterity do? I want my Paladin to beable to do something fun at taverns to impress patrons. Any suggestions that wouldn't just make him a Bard?
>>
>>50391145
That was brilliant until they started attacking again after going upsidedown.
And then it got silly.
>>
Punch a hole in a keg and fill mugs for everyone.

> Hard mode: DC20 or more charisma check to get the landlord to pay for it
>>
>>50391894
This was for

>>50391491
this
>>
>>50390044
Just get bitching clothes that aren't functionally armor.
>>
>>50391491
flex your muscles, be a bard
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.