[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 37

File: wtf 2 moons.jpg (321KB, 1600x917px) Image search: [Google]
wtf 2 moons.jpg
321KB, 1600x917px
>Latest News
Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
Don't forget to give your opinion in the Bard survey!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>>50383766

>Topic
It's pretty clear the people want more Feats. Did you homebrew some for your games?
Did you buff existing feats that are in need? Which ones? How?
>>
>>50391447
>It's pretty clear the people want more Feats
No, it isn't

>Did you homebrew some for your games? Did you buff existing feats that are in need? Which ones? How?
No, no and no, I just banned feats in general
>>
>>50391447
>It's pretty clear the people want more Feats.
[citation needed]
A lot of the players I know are content to completely ignore them in favor of ASIs.
>>
>>50391447
how do you feel about giving all races a feat?
>>
What kind of Performance would someone who is high in Strength and Charisma, but low in Dexterity do? I want my Paladin to be able to do something fun at taverns to impress patrons. Any suggestions that wouldn't just make him a Bard?
>>
>>50391495
That would make variant human completely worthless. Unless they got something additional to balance things out. But even then, I don't see the point.
>>
>>50391495
I feel that makes humans lag somewhat.
>>
>>50391447
seventh for KOBOLD DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY
>>
>>50391447
Maybe some to improve TWF, natural attacks and unarmed attacks. Or at least rework the ones that exist.

Something for monks wouldn't be a bad idea either, they benefit very little from feats.
>>
>>50391447
People want to be able to use feats.
Give everyone a feat at 6-7 and they'll be happy af
>>
>>50391508
...is this a real question? Because the answer is as obvious as it is classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0
>>
>>50391491
Strongman performances are a thing. Lift three hot chicks with one arm while flashing your high-cha teeth at the crowd. Bend steel bars. People love that shit.
>>
>>50391513
>>50391510
obviously buff humans afterwards.
>>
>>50391537
So i guess i would probably roll Athletics and Performance together?
>>
>>50390998
>trap option
Sure, monk sucked in 3.5 if you didn't optimize to the max, but trip monks were very good at it.

Tashalatorra monk comes to mind, mine was a fucking beast.
>>
Thing that technically works:

>Cast Demiplane
>Cast Glyph of Warding on an object with harmful spell of choice and trigger condition that doesn't target you.
>Cast Drawmij's Instant Summons on the object
>Leave Demiplane
>Any time thereafter crush your Drawmij's sapphire to summon your glyphed object (planar distances can't be measured in feet, so the object traveled less than 10 feet, so Glyph still works.)
Congratulations, you got a single-use extra spell for 1,200gp.
>>
Everyone gets a feat but only humans can advance past level 12, thoughts?
>>
File: the saint vs the vampire women.jpg (2MB, 2009x2945px) Image search: [Google]
the saint vs the vampire women.jpg
2MB, 2009x2945px
>>50391491
Masked wrestling.
>>
>>50391600
Dunno, that's up to your DM.

>>50391617
(you)
>>
>>50391617
A) this isn't 1e
B) your group isn't going to reach 12 anyway
>>
>>50391617
The worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.
>>
>>50391618
>Santo's strength and panther agility against the diabolic power of the vampire women!..

man, santo was so cool.
>>
>>50391645
If Santo was so great why did he end dying in a ball of fire surrounded by strigoi?
>>
>>50391447
I personally dislike Feats. I'd rather have my players focus on a class and try to workout some synergy with other players, which is why I always have a session zero and collaborative character creation.
>>
>>50391645
https://youtu.be/J3xBtDetBH4?t=90
Witness, /5eg/, how a real party beats CoS.
>>
Sup /5eg/
How to Desert properly?
Do you guys have some tips, ideas and/or resources to properly run a campaign in a desert?
>>
>>50391687
I don't dislike most feats, I dislike GWM and SS because only a small pool of character options will benefit from them and then they'll BTFO all other character options.
>>
>>50391618
monkpcinbarovia,jpg
>>
>>50391508
Stand-up comedian
(Divine) Magician
Step dancing
Any instrument really
>>
>>50391730
>Los tiburón
>Monk
Not anymore
>>
>>50391697
If water isn't a major concern, you're not doing it right.
>>
Does anyone else feel that TWF just sucks? Since offhand attack is a bonus action, you can only do it once. Even if you have extra attacks.
>>
>>50391820
A lot of stuff in 5e kinda sucks, but any improvement might make it OP.
>>
>>50391820
It's meant for classes that don't get a lot of extra attacks, but have the potential for a lot of oomph from just one attack, like rogue, paladin, or barbarian.
>>
Hello, yes. Is anon, who claimed that vestiges of Amber Temple and Dark Powers of Shadowfel are totally different and unrelated beings, still here?
Because I took five minutes and made this. Eat shit, anon.
>>
File: IMG_0320.jpg (65KB, 540x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0320.jpg
65KB, 540x401px
>>50391697
>>
>tfw paladins don't get archery fighting style
>tfw rangers don't get great weapon fighting style
Why does Mearls hate fun so much?
>>
>>50391820

I was thinking of allowing a PC to draw two weapons at once, but only if they're light.
That way rogues can brandish both short swords in one turn.

As for the Dual Wielding feat, tack on a +1 to either STR or DEX, player's choice.
>>
>>50391891
And that's why Fighter and Ranger get TWF style but Rogue, Paladin and Barbarian don't? this is kind of what not meant to means.
>>
>>50391934

First thing I did was say any class that gets access to Fighting Styles gets access to ALL of them.
>>
>>50391934
>paladins
>using ranged weaponry
>>
>>50391934
I can understand paladins not having access to Archery because they've clearly made their decision when it comes to paladins: they shouldn't divine smite with ranged weapons.

No two-handed ranger does not make sense though you're right on that
>>
>>50391934
It's because those aren't usually employed by those classes, at least traditionally. Paladins can't Smite with a bow, so being a dedicated Archer would be weird. And rangers with two-handers makes them rather similar to Barbarians, and also doesn't fit their more dex-based nature.

A single level in Fighter solves this anyway
>>
>>50391920
>>50391944
:^)
The feat is better anyway.
But honestly, I agree, it's a design flaw.
>>
>>50391934
Becauser you can't keep giving away all the Fighter's toys to every other class.

They already suck. What if we took Rangers and made archetypes that gave Barbarians and Bards animal companions?
>>
>>50391447
Feats would only work if there were some alternative type of feat you can get on levels up.

Instead of the pwoerful ASI/feat types, they'd be a different type of feat designed to get characters who need it up to speed with extra utilities. Classes like monk.

For example, sorcerer might get a choice of benefits at level X and/or Y that allow them to do unique things.

For example, a wild sorcerer may have access to something like:
>pick a spell from any spell list you do not know of up to two spell levels higher than you can currently cast. When you cast the spell, roll a number of d10s equal to how many levels higher the spell is than you can normally cast if the spell is of a higher level than you should be able to cast (minimum of 0), and an extra d10 for every time you have used this ability within the last week, or since level up. For every d10 that is equal to or less than the spell level of the spell you have cast, you roll on [TABLE X].
Note that table X is a horrble, horrible abomination of nature and you do not want to have to roll on it, ever. You can change the spell on level-up.
Of course, there's a few non-standard things there like 'within the last week' and the fact the description is overly complicated, but this would only be homebrew in the end for one's own campaign, so it's fine.

It would be less of a feature that's frequently used (unless you choose a lower level spell) and more an emergency limit-break that will probably break you too.
>>
Reminder that Aragorn, the most iconic ranger, uses a sword two-handed
>>
>>50391508
Lost in last thread, but:

Punch holes in kegs, pass out free beer

Lift tables with your teeth

Lift the Barmaid on one arm or one on each

Strength checks for all, then charisma check to get the barman to pay for the beer / resultant damage
>>
>>50391993
B-but muh Drizzt
>>
>>50391962
>and also doesn't fit their more dex-based nature.
While wotc keeps using Aragorn as an example of ranger? yeah, no.
>>
>>50391993

Yea but that's a hand and a half sword, not a great weapon. He's not rolling up to orc town with a zweihander. Really more of a reason to give rangers a unique fighting style related to versatile weapons.
>>
>>50392007
Aragorn is like 1/16th God, though.
>>
>>50391977
Eh, thinking about it again, would probably make it 2d10 since the last time it's used in a week. More like overchanel.

The idea of these mini-feat things is they're not supposed to be power boosts but more to widen the versatility of certain classes at certain levels.

Monk and barbarian feel a bit lacking at their later levels.
Sorcerers tend to feel overshadowed by wizards when wizards have such a wide versatility, it seems, and wild mage just feels like a gimmick more than anything.
Of course, wizards should still have the benefit of being more versatile, but sorcerer really needs more of that 'raw, untrained and chaotic power' feel to them than 'you can cast the same thing on two different targets!'
>>
>>50392034
Swords used with two hands benefit from GWS doesn't matter is a zweihander or a longsword.
>>
>>50392034
Hand and a half swords aren't a real thing, and certainly aren't a thing in D&D. Longswords can be used with the two-handed style.

>>50392039
Actually the fraction is a LOT smaller. His wife is around that, though.
>>
>>50391993
He uses a longsword in a Versatile grip because shields in LotR are reserved for assholes.
>>
>>50391697
Resource management and high risk of exhaustion.
The party better hope they brought a ranger.
>>
>>50391697
Sand worms and Spice
>>
>>50391884
>>50391941

What about "When a player gains an Extra Attack, the player can have an additional bonus action to attack. This additional bonus action can only be usedto make an offhand attack.
>>
>>50392039
>1/16th God
He's the 62th generation after Elros, so gonna say no.
>>
>>50391696
fucking majestic
>>
>>50392039
I think the fact that we can play as Aasimar kind of nullifies that argument.
>>
>>50392127
Just because angels like Gandalf are hot shit in ME (despite pretty much doing nothing but casting thunderwave and having a large bag of magic items) doesn't mean angelic beings in FR are. Your aasimar could be half lantern archon, some lady got knocked up by a glowing light or whatever. People kill those things all the time. Aasimar doesn't = "son of Torm".
>>
>>50391697
i had a table of random events, and homebrew exhaustion/rest mechanics.

my party had a rough map, a ranger and had a guide (which died day 2) but the desert was magical so they still got lost for a while, they couldn't long rest as they also lost their equipment/most of their provisions and i let them use hit die to recover feature and spell slots at the end of their overnight rests but exhaustion was a mayor issue.

the table had stuff like raiding thri-kreen, finding the thri-kreen hive, raiding bandits, finding a magical pyramid (the chapter dungeon), gettting lost (in time or space), tremors and seeing a purple worm at the distance and finding other ruins (optional dungeon) with giant scorpions and crap and a dead blue dragon's lair with just goodies.

i really enjoyed it, even if my group was borderline collapsing from the life or death, day to day, intensity.
>>
File: jetliheavensword.gif (4MB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
jetliheavensword.gif
4MB, 400x269px
>tfw you're the only one playing a Monk right
>>
Will playing a character built around grappling make me a chode in the party?
>>
>>50392254
>Those jumps
Not doable in 5e
>That many ki wasted in 4 AoE attacks
Impossible unless epic levels (17-20)
>>
>>50392272
N... no ? What do you mean..?
>>
>>50392007
I really don't see why they do. Aragorn is a Fighter with Survival skills. He doesn't have a beast companion, and while he holds the title of ranger, that means something different than the D&D definition. Same with how Gandalf is called a Wizard but mechanically would work better as a Druid or Cleric.

And, as >>50392034 said, the sword he's using is closer to having the versatile property. I would very much like to see a Fighting style focused on using those, as it's hard to justify switching between.
>>
>>50392285
Step of the Wind doubles your Jump distance and you can always roll Athletics for more distance.
>>
>>50392248
did they enjoy it? :^)
How was your rest system?

>>50391926
>>50392090
of course

>>50391811
>>50392104
will keep those in mind
>>
>>50392302
>doubles your Jump distance and you can always roll Athletics for more distance.
You can jump far, but not high,
>>
>>50392292
>He doesn't have a beast companion
Not all rangers do.
>>
File: explodeyoutodeath2.jpg (44KB, 618x475px) Image search: [Google]
explodeyoutodeath2.jpg
44KB, 618x475px
>>50392323
>"distance" doesn't refer to the Z axis
>>
>>50392290
cause apparently grappling is broken as fuck. Not that the reason I am making said character is due to it being overpowered, moreso i wanted to make someone who fought melee without a weapon but wore heavy armour. He's on an adventure to have a good time, has no interesting in murdering, so he'll just subdue them with a good ol grapple. Wrestling bears and orcs just seems like fun.
I think my DM said he'll let me reskin a 1handed bludgeoning weapon into some kind of punching gauntlet.
>>
>>50392357
I don't think grappling is overpowered. As most party strength, it's on the DM to offer encounters that are strong against it once in a while. Like flying creatures or super mobile ones.

It's honestly not overpowered. Go for it. Have your russian accent ready.
>>
>>50392340
He also doesn't have a favored enemy, favored terrain, or spells.

My point still stands. Just because Aragorn is called a ranger in LotR does not make him a ranger in D&D.
>>
>>50392315
short rests don't recover anything, they just have to do them to not get extra exhaustion, long rests recover short rest stuff and they get to use hit die to recover long rest stuff and lowers 1 exhaustion. it was kind of brutal but the whole, 8h nap and you get all your shit back, no matter how fucked you were, plus the system expecting 6~8 encounters per adventuring day really don't fit into my story AT ALL.

i'm still trying to improve the rest system for the rest of my story and can't quite find something that works most of the time for most of the party.

the following chapter was supposed to be a full sandbox with several geographical locations on a continent sized map, but RL stuff happened and it ended going into hiatus, with another friend filling as dm with a less ambitious run.
>>
>>50392302
>Step of the Wind doubles your Jump distance
Which is 1/4th your Str bonus, make it 1/2 your Str bonus if you spend ki, lets be fucking generous and give you a 12 on Str, you leap 6 feet, which is 2 meters, which is less that what dude does.

>you can always roll Athletics for more distance.
Entirely dependant on the GM, no rules for that.
>>
File: sunsoulduel.gif (4MB, 400x233px) Image search: [Google]
sunsoulduel.gif
4MB, 400x233px
>>50392285
Now what, fucker?
>>
>>50392408
>He also doesn't have a favored enemy, favored terrain, or spells.
He does, did you read the books?
He's spec'd against orcs and goblins.
His terrains are woods and plains.
He fucking has healing magic, though, as everything in LotR, is subtle as fuck.
>>
>>50392418
where do you even find this crap.
>>
>>50392409
you didn't answer

did the party actually enjoy their games?
it seems tedious as fuck
>>
>>50392416
>he doesn't have 20 Strength
>he can't leap 16 feet into the air
cuck
>>
The action that's really broken is...

Disarm.

Holy shit, consider the following. Say you have a Bugbear armed with a Cleave. The guy does 2d8+3 (i can't remember correctly) so that's 5 - 19 points of damage in a successful hit because of their Trait.

But as a disarm action, you can make him drop the Cleave. And, as a movement action, I think it would be pretty fair to allow a PC to kick the weapon out of the Bugbear's range.

So that means a huge downgrade to damage. That's huge. But players never ask for it, since it is in the DMG.
>>
File: flyingswordmonkassholes.gif (6MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
flyingswordmonkassholes.gif
6MB, 400x226px
>>50392432
Martial arts films
>>
>>50392467
>armed with a Cleave
what
Anyway, you can disarm bitches and kicking their weapons away is a free object interaction, no "movement action" required (which doesn't exist anymore btw)

Battlemasters do this all day with Disarming Strike
>>
>>50392442
i suppose they did, we all like hardcore survival games and artificial difficulty, we also are huge nerds so everyone was on character the whole time.
>>
File: Long deat vs Sun soul.gif (2MB, 303x252px) Image search: [Google]
Long deat vs Sun soul.gif
2MB, 303x252px
>>50392418
Best representation of SCAG's monks coming through.
>>
>>50392467
>as a movement action

Go back to 3.5, faggot.
>>
>>50392292
Arsgorn is a master tracker that can put his ear to the ground and determine how large/far away a group of orcs is. He lives in the wilderness and protects civilization from monsters. If that's not a ranger, I don't know what is.
LEGOLAS, on the other hand, is an archery fighter.
>>50392430
I wish people would realize this. Aragorn 100% uses magic, a lot. It's just not flashy and incantation-y.
>>
File: motorcyclekick.gif (2MB, 400x259px) Image search: [Google]
motorcyclekick.gif
2MB, 400x259px
>>50392479
>>
>>50392488
>>50392498
You know I meant it as "using their movement speed", come on, guys.
>>
Your party finds a spell scroll in an ancient tomb and identifies it as a Scroll of Genocide.

What happens next?
>>
>>50392653
Someone uses it "for the lulz"
>>
>>50392653
they already tried to use it before identifying what it is
>>
>>50392653
erradicate mosquitoes
alternatively, 6gozillions
>>
So, say I want to make a Slayer from Warhammer Fantasy. Would the standard Barbarian template be good enough for it?
>>
>>50392653
Tell the Xorinite Wisps to get the fuck out here, I want something else.
>>
>>50392653
Disenchanters, or L if it's blessed.
>>
>>50392708
describe slayer in a few words and we'll tell you but i'm pretty sure it'd be ok

main problem is that berserker main feature isnt good
i kinda fixed it by making it so 1 extra attack = 1 hit die you expend
player's happy i'm happy
>>
>>50392773
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Slayer
>>
>>50392675
>>50392688
It asks you for a target to genocide.
>>
>>50392653
Orcs.

Possibly otherwise green dragons.

>inb4 cursed scroll
>>
>>50392811
i target the nearest kitsune or tiefling or drow
>>
>>50392811
Kender
>>
>>50392862
we don't write this name here

unless you want to see it on an official UA pdf ?
>>
>>50392862
>>50392834
"Sent in some Kenders."
>>
>GM asks if we played LMoP
>No
>Play LMoP
>End at 5th level
>"So we're going to play Abyss then...reduce your character level to 1"
>You mean like we reroll new chars?
>"No, with your current char, reduce it's stats, level, features, etc to level 1, then remove all equipment that isn't starting equipment"
Ok, what?
>>
>>50392976
hedumb?
>>
>>50392976
"I've lost my character sheet"
>>
Would it be evil to trick an ancient white dragon into becoming a dracolich, before permanently enslaving as a necromancer?
>>
>>50392976
>how to piss of players 101
>>
>>50392894
Kender - Halfling Subrace
As a Kender, you are a carefree wanderer out to experience as much as possible before settling down. Fear is an alien concept to you, and you tend to acquire a wide assortment of miscellaneous items. Still, it is almost impossible to hate you.
Ability Score Increase: Your charisma score increases by 1.
Fearless: You are immune to nonmagical fear effects, and have advantage on all saving throws against magical fear effects. If a magical fear effect does not allow a saving throw, you may make one anyway. Your saving throws against fear are always charisma saves instead of wisdom saves.
Explorer: you gain proficiency in stealth and with thieves' tools.
>>
>>50393023
Yes, it would.
But do it anyway.
>>
>>50392898
Fucking
Cursed
Scrolls
>>
>>50393042
Sorry, I forgot sleight of hand.
>>
>>50393042
Adorable Kleptomania. You have advantage on Dexterity (Sleight of Hands) roll made to steal an item from other members of the party. Once stolen, your character firmly believes it is his, and other members of the party can't be angry at you for more than 1 minute.
>>
>>50393096
>for more than 1
Enought to kill it
>>
>>50393042
>>50393096
More reasonably:
>Kleptomania: You are proficient with the Sleight of Hand skill.
>As an action, you can attempt to retrieve an item from a bag on your person that is not in your inventory. The item must be able to fit in your hand and be worth 10 gp or less.
>Roll a d6. On a 6, you retrieve the item, having unknowingly pocketed it from some poor passersby. Once you successfully retrieve an item in this way, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>50393227
Oh I guess
>You cannot attempt to retrieve the same item more than once per day.
To prevent spamming of the trait.
>>
>>50393227
>More reasonably
there is nothing reasonable with fucking kenders

don't even start
>>
>>50393096
>Steal a castle
>>
>>50393057
I'm pretty sure thats not what the DM intended when we found out how to become a lich.

Should I turn myself into a lich as well as the dragon?
>>
>Fighting against the BBEG with the macguffin weapon
>Kender steals it
>"Oh, sorry, was this yours?"
>End dying
>"Well, I guess isn't yours anymore"
>>
>>50393023
If your DM lets you trick an ancient white dragon, he's not playing it properly.
>>
Fucking kenders man, I've been in a game in where a players was using one with the personality of sheldon cooper though instead of bazooka he said bazooper
>>
>>50391608
That sounds like a lot of effort for something that wouldn't make the game much more fun.
>>
>>50392708

Well Frenzy barbarians would be the most flavorful choice but.... they're really, really shit. So I'd recommend making a bear totem barbarian with Great Weapon Master and a greataxe.
>>
>>50393353
Well they're literally as intelligent as the average human, you really think it'll be that hard?
>>
>>50393227
Maybe I'm naive but this doesn't sound -too- bad

I've never actually played with a kender in the group, only heard stories, but a kender fighter based on disarming the enemy and using their weapons against them sounds fun
>>
>need a magical concoction to make some weapons to help us kill this demon
>NPC sends us out to get some gryphon gallbladder
>gryphons are apparently beyond us and no one knows anything about them, so the NPC Wizard tells us to get a book about how to slay gryphons
>search his bookshelves and grab A GUIDE TO GRIFFON HUNTING, full of helpful advice to track, slay, and carve it up
>go out innawoods and follow the book's instructions, baiting traps, all this shit
>no gryphon
>give up and go elsewhere to find some other way of dealing with this shit
>spot a wild gryphon in a mountain pass, decide to jump it
>get our asses kicked, none of the tips about weaknesses or strategy are helping
>finally manage to defeat it, cut out its gallbladder
>return to the Wizard and tell him his book fucking sucks and we better get our weapons
>Wizard looks at our gallbladder
>it's a liver
>grabs the book from our Fighter
>I SENT YOU TO FIGHT A GRYPHON
>THIS IS A BOOK ABOUT GRIFFONS
this motherfucker
>>
Making a class for a friends session
Would picking a monster race be good for playing cleric? The DM seems to be chill about being literally anything I want to be
>>
Any thoughts or tips on fast forwarding a campaign? I'm dming a group of newbies through LMoP just to get them used to the rules and such. The plan had been to start SKT after LMoP with new characters to teach them character generation(they used the pregens). Problem is we haven't been able to get together to play for a while and it feels like everyone is itching to start anew. The party had just got in the last cave with most everything else done in the campaign. We wanna feel like it's completed but don't wanna go through everything.
>>
>>50393548

If they're in hte last cave, just get everyone together to wrap it all up in my opinion. Then jump straight into SKT and character creation.
>>
>>50391508
Keg stand or lucha wrestling.
>>
>>50393548
Kill them and bring them to their knees in Barovia.
>>
>>50393318
the constant soul requirement might be antifun/campaign disrupting
>>
>>50393265
>Prevent spamming
I think you're missing the point, anon.

>>50393337
>Implying the kender doesn't beat the BBEG with the macguffin weapon
It's like you haven't even read Dragons of Summer Flame.

>>50393480
The problem with Kender isn't mechanical, it's that they're a free license to be chaotic stupid and steal from your party members and expect to never get in trouble.
>>
>>50393591
this tbqhafaf
>>
>>50392653
The party elf utilizes it against orcs to prevent the Pelinal shitposter from getting it into his hands.
>>
>>50393514
Step one, read the book. Figure out what you want to play class-wise, and then pick your race. What cleric domain sounds interesting. Look at your options, and decide based off of the fluff, and go from there. Cleric has so many different flavours.

You could go Death and go full edge, or Grave and be an old gravekeeper who is "just doing his job"

You could go War and be a more religious paladin, same with Tempest, you could be generic healer with Life.

You can praise the sun with Light, or search to better understand the world with Knowledge or Arcane.

You can go Trickery and be completely useless.

You can go Nature, be an angry old man who beats everyone with a stick.

Its all up to your imagination.
>>
>>50393386
Fair enough, thanks.
>>
I'm the only one mad that speed factors nothing on jump distance?
>Move at 500 km/h
>Jump barely 8 meters
>>
>>50394278
8 meters! what's this, some kind of anime? no, something must be wrong, you jump 3.
>>
>>50394278
I'm more mad that class and/or Dexterity still doesn't factor into movement speed. Why is the portly wizard with multiple physical dump stats getting his full 30ft. of movement, same as even the Rogue or Ranger?
>>
>>50394387
*And by class I mean "base movement". Getting a bonus action Dash or "+10 to movement if you're naked" doesn't count. Spellcasters should naturally be a little slower.
>>
>>50393548
Tell them you're starting the new campaign, then once they get there wrap up LMoP in an hour or two (streamline the misc stuff in the last area to get to the boss quickly)

I'd love to hear how SKT goes, I'm currently running my players through LMoP and bringing their characters into SKT afterwards, I heard CH 1 of SKT is meh compared to the rest of the book so I figured we'd try out mines instead, plopping the players into triboar afterwards.
>>
>>50394387
Well the portly wizard also knows less languages than the regular Rogue or Ranger
>>
how to make The Road part of HotDQ less of a pain?
essentially two months travelling, what the fuck
>>
>>50394400
just "spellcasters"? spellcasters with poor stats should naturally be a little slower (maybe.), I don't see why you need to be slow just because you know magic (one way or another)
>>
>>50394278
Then you must have a shitty DM.

Telling a martial he can't jump that gap, but the wizard, who is the weak and scrawny one who couldn't make half that gap can because magic is unfair. I don't think its unfair to say he can make huge gaps, or do crazy shit mythological heroes did. Fuck I've let Barbarians throw giants' boulder back at them, its not "unfair", it more fair, it actually lets martials be as creative as casters when you allow them to do crazy shit because its fun and cool. Playing by the rules isn't fun when you leave players in the dust, so sometimes its fun to just ignore all of RAW, and use the parts that are the most fun, as sometimes its better for those ability scores to remain arbitrary, and not have numerical values that give us an exact idea of their meaning, so you can have more fun without the restrictions of real life, since RPGs are about escapism, not slogging through more of the restrictions of our daily lives, or worse than that (like only being able to jump 8 meters after going 500 km/h)
>>
So far the party has two wizards, a monk, a ranger, and a rogue. Should I go Crown Paladin or Forge Cleric?
>>
>>50394278
long jump and high jump also were fucking retarded in 3.PF, the moment you char moved more than 40ft the ecuations were all wrong.

For example, if you move at mach 2 (1800 km/ph, yeah, it's possible I played a char that did that) your long jump is 270 meters instead of the real 27 km a 80 kg projectile with the cross-section of a human fired at 45º and a speed of 1800km/h would reach.
>>
>>50394387
I think if anything should do it, it should be Strength. Strength governs Athletics, and should logically apply to leg strength as well.

Of course, that's sort of already covered by the Encumberance variant rules, but you could potentially make it so that a character got -5 ft to their speed for having a -1, thus dumping it makes you slow and wimpy
>>
>>50394578
Forge Cleric. Go Hill Dwarf, and use a Warhammer. Fluff him as some old dwarven smith who is tired of living a boring life of a craftsman.
>>
>>50394578
Compelled Duel is my personal favorite spell in the game, so I'd suggest crown paladin with a 2H build. It really lets you stand out as the party's tank. Forge Cleric is only really good if you expect to be starved for magical items, but no one in that group should be taking your heavy armor or 2H weapons.
>>
>>50394307
>3
Feet, maybe.
>>
>>50394485
Because little fucking girls in robes can't jump unless they're shitting magic out to do it.
>>
>>50394561
The most obvious answer is to only use the existing jump rules for what a character can do by default. If you have 20 strength, you can -reliably- jump 20 feet without a check, unless there's a storm or you're under attack.

If you want to go further, you make an Athletics check. Depending on what tone you're going for in game, this might buy someone a few extra feet if you make the result of their check the distance, or it might make them go really far if you have them add their check to their max distance. I don't think a 50 foot jump is unreasonable for a max strength barbarian with such athletic skill.
>>
>>50394578
>>50394620
A Duergar who had a revelation of Moradin and left the underdark to smith for Good
>>
When building a villainous NPC using PC rules, how much liberty should I put into their ability scores and hit points? Monsters tend to have way more HP than PCs at equal challenge ratings, so should the same apply in this instance?
>>
File: 1480087774461.jpg (129KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1480087774461.jpg
129KB, 1191x670px
I want to make the best character (pic related), how do?
>>
>>50394683
World record is 29.97 ft, as far as I know that's impossible unless magic in 5e.
>>
>>50394753
See >>50394683
>>
>>50394746
Any NPC you make is going to need its CR calculated in the end anyway. If you go straight with the PC rules the ratio of levels to CR drops off quickly, like immediately after 1st level.

Give them the stats and features you want them to have and calculate CR as normal.
>>
>>50394683
>you make an Athletics check
monk commits senpuku
>>
>>50394671
are all spellcasters inherently little girls in robes now
>>
>>50394836
>Take Athletics as a skill
>Use Dexterity since Skills are no longer tied strictly to specific stats
>???
>Profit
>>
>>50394737
This is a good idea, if the DM allows Duergar.

>>50394642
This is also a good idea.

I know I definitely want to be a tank, and I think both of those are good (Compelled Duel vs. +1 armor and +1 while wearing armor).
>>
>>50392254
speaking of which, how would you guys optimize a monk?
>>
>>50394866
>>Use Dexterity since Skills are no longer tied strictly to specific stats
No GM allows that rule and you know it
>>
What are the benefits of each pact a Warlock can take?

A Pact of Tome seems handy for increasing my utility but that's about it, a Pact of Blade seems kinda useless unless you get a strong magic weapon to use as a base, and Pact of the Chain seems to be by far the best by offering both flexibility and offense from the start.

But I feel like I have to be missing something here, since it seems weird to me for one to be so clearly better than the others.

Gonna be going with The Archfey and playing as a Half-Elf, for what it's worth.
>>
>>50394892
V. human
Observant feat or Resilient: Wis (lets face it you'll never reach 14th level)
Put everything into Dex and Wis
Start with quarterstaff or spear
And depending on what role you want to focus you pick your subclass, avoid Wot4e like the plague though
>>
>>50392107
Op as fuck
>>
>>50394909
>But I feel like I have to be missing something here, since it seems weird to me for one to be so clearly better than the others.
You are, because the best is Tome
>>
>>50392976
your GM went full fucking retard.

Suggest SKT, it's better and is specifically made to be easy to jump in from LMoP
>>
>>50392107
>Fighter ends with 8 attacks
>12 if he uses Action surge
>>
>>50394909
utility is awesome and the invocation for rituals that tome can gets makes you even more awesome. Tome is great.
blade is garbage, yes
chain can get you cool familiars to do cool/fun things, yeah, but offense boosts aren't really necessary for a class with EB + AB.
>>
>>50394892

Well without going into multiclassing shenanigans, monk optimization is pretty easy. Wood Elf, take mobility and you're done.

>>50394909

Tome is all about dat utility and spell casting. They're the only warlocks who get a pseudo spell book to learn more spells than through leveling.

Blades aren't super great but are fun and interesting. They don't actually need a strong magic weapon since they at least do magical damage all the time with their weapon. A strong magic weapon helps. Their main downside is that they don't stand out until level 12+

Chain provides lots of interesting utility but that is a double edged sword. If the familiar dies, they have little to offer until they can summon it again.
>>
>>50394900
>allows that rule

It's not optional, it's the default. It's how I run my games. If you can justify it (strength for intimidate because of muscles, dex for athletics because of martial arts), then you can roll with that.
>>
>>50394993
It's a variant rule, anon.
>>
>>50394866
>>50394993
It's not a default rule, moron
>>
>>50394844
Yes
Please report to Wizard School for your frilly pink tutu and plastic princess tiara
>>
>>50395032
Actually, it is. It's just that every skill has an ability it's most likely going to be used with.
>>
>>50394941
>>50394974
I guess I just need to sit down and theorycraft what you can achieve with it some more, then.
>>
File: 1479254881426.png (136KB, 331x299px) Image search: [Google]
1479254881426.png
136KB, 331x299px
>>50395116
>>
>>50395150

The main thing is that tome offers incredible utility since they can get every ritual spell in the game. Their spellbook is not restricted by class, so if it has the (ritual) tag, a tomelock can scribe it into their book of shadows. The same is true of the cantrips they get for being tomelock - they can take guidance and vicious mockery, for example, to provide lots of team support while they're also throwing out eldritch blasts. All that makes them, by far, the most flexible of three warlock types.
>>
>>50391907
That's some commitment to win and internet argument, anon.
>>
>>50394900
I do. It is a variant, but I do allow it. And we do use it.
>>
>>50395302
You're lying and we know it.
>>
>>50395338
o shit
>>
>>50395338
>Nobody uses X!
>I use X!
>You lie!

Right, clearly all of these people claiming to use a really minor and sensible variant rule are liars. Every DM is an evil DM that hates when the players can do things.
>>
>>50395338
Fuck
>Closing window
>Erasing history
>Burning HD
>>
anyone /stupid players/ here?

>BBEG
>Man turned into 13 foot living armor infused with souls of the dead, power by conduits
>ritual is not yet finished - heroes arrived to put an end to him
>as they arrive, they destroy a pylon that channeled souls into the chamber
>I make it VERY OBVIOUS
>"As the pillar breaks apart into different pieces, you notice the energies in the air calm, the spirits that were flowing in from the east have stopped."
>They march straight ahead to the BBEG
>Decide that the BBEG isn't powered on/awake
>Make them roll a wisdom check
>all but 1 fail, with a nat20
>"While the others around you become anxious and fearful, you steel your resolve to ward off this magic, only the archon isn't awake, nor is there any enchantment you can sense. After years of adventuring and keeping death at bay, this is your instincts, natural fear telling you that you cannot win in any way. Turn back"
>they go into the room
>assassin decides to sneak attack him
>"As you thrust (named artifact dagger) into BBEG's neck, souls of the dead reach out from between the gaps in his armor and hold your blade, warning you that he is too powerful while he is consuming souls, and to stop the pylons from giving him power"
>Wizard casts meteor swarm on the BBEG
>Think, fine, fuck it
>"Archon awakens as he is pelted by meteors, only annoying him at most, immediately he aims his arm at you and it launches foward, chains made up of the dead allowing it to detach from his body, grabbing you (failed dex and str save) and reeling you in, before smashing you into the ground for 20d20 damage."

BBEG ended up just beating the shit out of my players and they died.
>>
Redpill me on Gnome Druids.

Are they viable in a campaign that'll be very high risk and hard?
>>
>>50395497
You're at fault for making a gimmick fight when it's obvious your players aren't into that.
>>
>>50395534
It's not a fucking gimmick, it was a main part of the campaign. They investigated why marauders and necromancers were setting up.
>>
File: wallhaven-92236.jpg (1MB, 3597x2248px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-92236.jpg
1MB, 3597x2248px
So /5eg/, I'm sitting here trying to come up with a cantrip similar to Boom Blade and Green-Flame Blade. Currently my idea is based off of a necrotic version, but I'm drawing blanks on possible effects.

Ideas I've had are you gain temp HP based off spellcasting modifier, but that seemed WAY too strong considering there are some 1st level spells like false life that would be completely overshadowed. Another idea I had was that there'd be an additional damage die(1d4?) added on if you had hit the target the previous turn. But it seems a bit bland and boring compared to the other blade cantrips. Any ideas? The name I had was "Blood-Thirsting Blade", loosely inspired by the tales of the Muramasa blades.

Pic-semi related.
>>
>>50395534
Nah sorry anon normally I'd agree but it sounds like his players really were just fucking idiots
>>
>>50395573
>You can't actually fight this guy until you destroy object X
Sounds like a vidya gimmick fight to me.

>>50395590
I agree, but he knows his players better than anyone. If they're incapable of seeing beyond what's immediately in front of them, you make a campaign where their tunnel vision isn't a detriment.
>>
>>50395528
Well... Advantage on mental saving throws, no reason that wouldn't be decent. Plus if you make a Forest Gnome you can totally talk to small animals while being transformed and that's totally rad!!!xD!

I mean it's Druid, it's really difficult to fuck it up.
>>
>>50395579
Easiest thing to do is copy Chill Touch's effect: target can't heal for a round. It's thematic and not overpowered.
>>
>>50393512
What the shit is a gryphon?
>>
>>50391972

I am a bard
I have three companions from various magical sources whom favors got heavily manipulated into owing

I call it, being a bard. Roleplaying and shit. They'll make fine roomates, once the DN gets through his skull theres something more to the game than power matches and racing to Lvl 20
>>
Coming from pathfinder, bows were almost always the better choice over crossbows. How do they fare against each other in 5e?
>>
>>50395579
Perhaps go for Bloodletter instead, and make it so they take extra casting mod damage on their turn to represent the wound bleeding. Probably should only last one turn, and might work better if the damage was higher but more conditional like Booming Blade is.

I'd also say to give it some sort of extra bonus against undead.
>>
>>50391993

Aragon is Ranger 3, Battlemaster 17, to be fair.
>>
>>50395651
Crossbows do more damage but require loading. So they're ideal for classes without extra attack (rogue), while bows are better for martial classes with multiple attacks.

>>50395698
Battlemaster doesn't represent anything outside of game mechanics. Realistically, every warrior knows various maneuvers. Aragorn is a ranger. Accept it and move on.
>>
>>50395651
Ultimately the hand crossbow can be the strongest ranged weapon in 5e, but it requires two feats to get there (a hefty cost in 5e). Without feats, crossbows and bows are both good but for different classes (crossbows for rogue or low-level fighters/rangers, bows for fighters/rangers past 5th level). With only taking one feat, bows have a bit of an upper edge due to being compatible with Extra Attack and Sharpshooter, but the bonus action attack you get from Crossbow Expert can be strong, too, especially combined with Hunter's Mark or Hex.

That area of the game is pretty well-balanced all around imo.
>>
>>50395651
It depends a bit more, but Crossbows can do quite well. The Crossbow master feat in particular puts them on par with bows and gives you some other benefits as well, though Handcrossbows are the way to go if you really want to focus on it.

Either way, it's not nearly as big of a gap as in Pathfinder.
>>
File: Art_bloodborne-weapon07.jpg (169KB, 1260x497px) Image search: [Google]
Art_bloodborne-weapon07.jpg
169KB, 1260x497px
>>50395628
Hmm, I had previously thought about doing that. But I was trying to come up with something that wasn't just copying another spell's effects.

>>50395687
Hmm, maybe something like 1d6 necrotic damage if they choose to attack that round? Make it a pretty easy condition to fulfill, but lower the damage compared to Boom Blade so as not to ape it or take it's shtick?
>>
>>50395735
Perhaps have it be damage if they attack someone else. 1d6 is probably fine for that, especially if you gave it another effect against Undead who wouldn't be as affected by it. Perhaps give them Disadvantage on attack rolls instead, but that might be a bit strong.
>>
>>50395754
Why does extra damage to undead make sense? If anything, undead tend to be vulnerable to radiant, not necrotic damage.
>>
>>50395754
To not make it too strong, it's probably best to not add an additional effect on that specifically targets undead.
>>
Are there any 2d Castle Ravenloft maps? I really don't want to draw all this shit into roll20.
>>
>>50395784
That's what I'm saying. The extra damage wouldn't do anything to undead, because they resist necrotic damage typically. Thus, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have another affect that effectively replaces the necrotic damage.

See Chill Touch as an example, which prevents undead from taking reactions since they won't take much damage from it.

Necromancy attack cantrips should be reasonably good at taking out undead, as a Necromancer who loses control of one would want a fallback to help him get away.
>>
File: map uncoloured.jpg (283KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
map uncoloured.jpg
283KB, 1920x1080px
there's no map general thread so I'll post it here since I'm drawing these maps for a 5e campaign.

After about a 3 year hiatus from d&d I bit the bullet and bought fantasy grounds so we could all play again(being an adult and not living in the same town as your friends sucks).

But I decided if I was gonna commit to this I wanted to go all out. No more imrov DMing with planning being done the morning of the game. I wanted to give my players a campaign they won't forget. To that extent I've been trying to learn how to draw(I have no artistic experience) and I've been trying to sketch maps and then digitally paint them.

It's a huge fucking time investment. But I really think my players will enjoy it.

What do you guys think? How pleased would you be if you had maps as detailed as this for almost every encounter?
>>
File: Cavern-Crossroad-3.jpg (137KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
Cavern-Crossroad-3.jpg
137KB, 800x555px
>>50395845
When it's coloured I want it to look sorta like this. Its the guy who's style I am trying to mimic. It won't be as good, but with some practice I think I can come close.
>>
>>50395825
There's a pack in the trove, and even more if you do a quick Google search.
>>
>>50395859
I got the trove pack a while ago and used all the towns, but the Castle was still isometric. Maybe it's been updated since then, so I'll download it again.
>>
If we got the best parts of the D&D Next playtest together and started homebrewing an entirely new system from the ashes of the old, would you play it? How would it differ from the 5E we know today? Would it be better or worse?
>>
File: tumblr_nz1gbxkolj1s3sz4ho1_500.png (474KB, 424x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz1gbxkolj1s3sz4ho1_500.png
474KB, 424x600px
>>50395836
Alright, let's see if this isn't too OP and still pretty fun to use.

Blood-Thirsting Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and begins to bleed until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly attacks before then, it immediately takes 1d6 necrotic damage. If you attack the same target again, the wounds get deeper and the damage die increases to 1d8, and again to a max of 1d10.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for attacking increases to 2d6. The damage rolls increase by 1d8 and 1d6 at 11th level and 17th level.

This becomes a brawling spell, where the more you hit the target and he hits back, the more damage he starts to take from ignoring his wounds. Does this sound fun/interesting/balanced?
>>
>>50395975
I would get rid of the slow-scaling thing as you hit them over and over. It doesn't do much and is hard to keep track of.

The reward for hitting them repeatedly as they hit you back is that they're taking a fair chunk of extra damage each time they swing.
>>
>>50395845
It's honestly pretty good. I know it's VERY hard for me to look at my maps and not be disappointed for each little detail. So I'm telling: yours is pretty good, even without colours.

Keep that shit up.

Be wary though, making that kind of "all out" campaign and investing that much time can make you very protective once the players get their hands on it. You know in return they can get very destructive, so don't get frustrated once they do.
As a player, there are little uglier things than a DM on the defensive.
>>
Someone give me a background for an aasimir cleric of [insert lawful good god of lightning and thunder here]
I'm too unimaginative to come up with anything
>>
>>50395639
A creature that outwardly resembles a griffon, but behaves more like a griffin.
>>
File: the circle of life.png (21KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
the circle of life.png
21KB, 500x283px
>>50395966
No one would play it. It would not different that significantly, and would probably be better presented as variant classes or variant rules. It would be probably be worse.
>>
>>
File: 1479941541254.jpg (278KB, 1000x1415px) Image search: [Google]
1479941541254.jpg
278KB, 1000x1415px
>>50396018
So the final result is

Blood-Thirsting Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and begins to bleed until the end of your next turn. If the target willingly attacks before then, it immediately takes 1d6 necrotic damage.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for attacking increases to 2d6. The damage rolls increase by 1d8 and 1d6 at 11th level and 17th level.

Spell ends at the end of your next turn, allowing you to keep it up, and if you choose to move away they have to decide to take an opportunity attack or not. Sound good?
>>
>>50396033
The one advantage is I decided to run Out of the Abyss since I've always wanted to try running a premade campaign and it saves me some work as well. Plus with the built in functionality for 5e stuff on fantasy grounds its even easier for me.

Not that I still couldn't get defensive, I'll have to watch that for sure. But at least if they are fucking things up it's not my personal pet story with my personal pet NPCs.

Most of my work is going into maps, systems(I made a hex map of the underdark and made my own rule system for traveling it and getting lost) and doing detailed write ups for environments so I can give some nice juicy descriptive text. And making sure before each session I have every rule and stat block I have laid out ahead of time and have practiced running through in my head what I need to do.

My focus is on delivering the smoothest most "shiny" experience. Less on the most amazing story. Also this way my players don't feel inclined to either cringe at whatever I write or pretend to like it as to not hurt my feelings.
>>
>>50396059
You're an unimaginative acolyte who's spent his life in the care of the temple, and has now been sent out to do evangelical work in a world that you don't really understand that well. Standard Mormon adventurer.
>>
File: humie 1465893500795.jpg (110KB, 908x879px) Image search: [Google]
humie 1465893500795.jpg
110KB, 908x879px
>>50394892
V. Human with 16 DEX/WIS and Alert feat. Sadly you lose too much not powergaming the stats with a monk...
But eliminating surprise, the init. bonus and ALWAYS being able to use Deflect Missile 2gud.

>>50391447
Why do people want more feats btw? They aren't even used, apart from by variant humans.
>>
File: Castlevania800.png (42KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania800.png
42KB, 800x400px
>>50395825
>>
Anyone have any good stories about playing a Lizardfolk character?
>>
File: untitled.png (542KB, 532x600px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
542KB, 532x600px
>>50394751
>>
File: castlevsotnMap-Castle1_25x.jpg (2MB, 3912x3000px) Image search: [Google]
castlevsotnMap-Castle1_25x.jpg
2MB, 3912x3000px
>>50395825
>>50396159
>>
Does anybody know any good solo (as in, one player+one DM) modules for D&D? I'd like to run something for my girlfriend
>>
>>50396160
>Be me, playing a lizardman
>Party encounters a band of paladins
>Paladins assume I am a monster
>"Prepare to die, foul beast!"
>Smile
>"How have I earned your wrath, good sirs?"
>Visible confusion
>"Y-you are a monster! An evil creature that kills for fun!"
>MFW I'm a LG cleric
>"I am not, in fact, the monster you have assumed I am. Quite the contrary; I believe in justice and righteousness. However, it occurs to me that judging travelers based on their appearance and threatening death without provocation is, in fact, an evil act; would you not agree, gentlemen?"
>hangingjaws.jpg
>"Out apologies, good sir. Perhaps we could make camp with your band and we could share food and drink by way of apology?"
>Smile broadly at them
>"I'd love to, but first I have to go shitpost on /tg/."
>>
>>50391510
Humans choose their feat, subhumans don't get a choice.
>>
Are paladins as boring to play as they seem?
>>
>>50396422
Only if you're a boring player. My Ancients pally is the most fun I've had roleplaying in a while.
>>
>>50396422
Nothing is boring if you use it right, except ranger and Wot4E monks.
>>
File: 1445324450344.jpg (150KB, 575x323px) Image search: [Google]
1445324450344.jpg
150KB, 575x323px
>>50396065
>>
>>50396463
>except ranger and Wot4E monks
not if you use revised ranger and revised Wot4E

Honestly though, even these can be pretty cool & exciting. After all, a beastmaster halfling can ride a Pteranodon
>>
Would anyone recommend me a 5e setting that is 'medieval' and not FR?
>>
>>50396563
Make your own, or use FR and change anything you don't like.

Atleast you don't have to name cities and whatnot, less work on your part.
>>
>>50396563
Mystara / Known World
Greyhawk
>>
>>50396563
Most campaigns can be shifted to whatever setting you want. I don't think they've elaborated on other settings as of yet - not that they've really elaborated on FR except for SCAG
>>
>>50396101
Seems like an even better booming blade
>>
>>50396226
Now that is a quality shitpost
>>
>>50396454
Gimme the details on your Ancients Pally. I'm rolling one right now and I'd love to hear backstories and builds to compare and contrast to mine. Might inspire some better ideas in mine before my group starts playing.
>>
>>50396743
Thanks mang, I take pride in my work.

>>50396772
My paladin believes in goodness, light, and beauty, and also equates the three. He genuinely believes if everybody spent 5 more minutes each morning on grooming the world would be a better place.
Note that he does not dislike people that aren't naturally attractive but are putting in an effort. Nor does he ignore inner beauty - but a person who is ugly on the inside can be tolerated if they're hot enough.
With the entertainer background, he is the life of the party. He tries to make sure everybody has a good time and feels good about themselves, because making people aware of their inner light (beauty) motivates them to be better (prettier) people.
It is against his personal code to refuse an offer of casual sex except from evil people who really let themselves go. Those evil people who are sexy can still end up in his bed... but he won't take the handcuffs off afterwards.
>>
File: allhope.jpg (16KB, 519x353px) Image search: [Google]
allhope.jpg
16KB, 519x353px
>>50396884
You for real?
>>
>>50396928
Why wouldn't I be?
>>
>>50396884
I think we are very different people. I appreciate you sharing though. I'm far to serious to ever roleplay a character a like that, haha. I mean...it makes sense for an Ancient Paladin admittely. They are a bit Bohemian. Though I am mostly taking inspiration for my Pally's personality from Rufus in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

>Be excellent to each other
>Most outstanding

I have yet to find a verbal equivalent for the word "dude".
>>
>>50396994
Dude is the verbal equivalent of dude, just say it verbally.
>>
>>50396994
It's possible, but I actually play him straight - he's not a joke character. It takes the right group to pull off something like this, admittedly. But I'm trying to handle him maturely and elegantly. He's not really as shallow as he appears at first glance, and he does believe in helping people in trouble.
Obviously I'm not advocating you copy my character, but hopefully there's some things here to spark your imagination.
>>
>>50396994
What's the setting? If this were planescape you could say "Berk".
>>
>>50397022
Sorry, i meant, the Fantasy equivilent to dude. Such that, what would a character in a fantasy world say in-place of Dude or Bro.

>>50397023
I think i was offput at first, but it all makes sense within the context of the Tenets. I guess things like physical beauty and casual sex can come off as vanity and lust when translated to the perspective of the real world.
>>50397066
DM has a custom setting. I think he wants low-fantasy, but it is somewhere in the middle. There's magic, things like beholders, mimics, and giants, and we're in a floating city right now, but I think that's as crazy as it gets. Admittedly I don't even know what makes something High or Low fantasy, i just assume Low Fantasy is more akin to actual Medieval Europe/Mediterranean.
>>
>>50397150
Well, they all speak common, which is "whatever language the player's speak", so, they'd still say dude.
>>
>>50397150
That sounds like moderately high fantasy. Under the traditional definition, "high fantasy" just happens to mean "set in a fantasy world (rather than our own world plus fantastic elements)", but in RPG circles it tends to be used to mean "high-magic setting".

Under the traditional definition, Harry Potter would be low fantasy, but under the gaming definition, it's very, very high fantasy. A lot of people say Tolkien is low fantasy, and by D&D standards it is, but in the grand scheme of things it's really only "middle" fantasy. Low fantasy would be something like Conan. It doesn't have to be European or medieval to be low fantasy -- you could have Mesopotamian low fantasy, Japanese low fantasy, or even modern low fantasy -- it just needs to be light on the high-powered magic.
>>
>>50397311
>Lord of the Rings
>Middle Fantasy
I see what you did there, friendo.
>>
File: ranger4.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ranger4.png
2MB, 1600x900px
How do I get fancy with my IRL "spellbook" for a ranger?

I've already done a spellbook for my wizard, and cards to play for my bard. What would fit a ranger ?
>>
>>50397150
>perspective of the real world
That would be highly subjective. Lots of people see nothing wrong with casual sex, and taking care of your appearance is a positive if you also take care of your personality. Part of the point of the character is to explore these aspects from that point of view.
>>
>>50397369
Maybe a set of Scrolls? Range aint got no time for books and shit. Write it down on the fly.
>>
>>50397369

A simple, worn leather journal.
>>
>>50397390
scrolls ocupy too much space desu

>>50397391
this
>>
>>50397150
I think a fantasy character who says "Most outstanding" would have no problems also saying dude. If not, "Man" should be serviceable enough.
>>
>>50394465
Just skip it, it's worthless
>>
>>50391447
>It's pretty clear the people want more Feats
But I want more races though.
>>
>>50394465
I ran it with my group and nobody complained, but I did felt it was dragging on too much. Essentially you just use some of the suggested encounters, focus on roleplaying with the other members of the caravan, and have A LOT of time skips.
>>
>>50391955
>>50391960
Bow before our lord and savior (((Mike Mearls))).
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/23/improved-divine-smite/
>>
>>50397929
>Is it catgirls?
>It's catgirls
>>
>>50397929
Actually not the least reasonable class I've seen today
>>
>>50397981
RACE.

Class?

I'll see myself out
>>
>>50397430
>>50397391
>>50397390
I like the idea of little scrolls since my character is a falconer.
But I guess a journal would make more sense.

Any other idea?
>>
>>50395609
>Sounds like a vidya gimmick fight to me.

By "vidya gimmick" do you mean "gimmick from every source of fucking fictional media ever" ?

Sauron can't be destroyed until his rings are destroyed. Voldemort can't be destroyed until his horcruxes are destroyed. Lich and phylactery. BBEG has thing powered by thing that needs to be destroyed before he can be defeated.

"villain has thing(s) that make them powerful and need to be destroyed before they can be defeated" is a trope that's been around for fucking millenia. Just because your dumb ass is from /v/ doesn't make every thing ever a video game trope you ignoramus

that anon's players are dense as rocks and assumed they could just stupid their way through the boss fight with the BBEG, possibly because the GM made them feel like they were incredibly powerful and unbeatable up to that point.

RPG players need to be constantly struggling to survive or they lose any sense of danger or risk. If they succeed constantly they will just start to assume that they can overcome anything. Rogue says "I'll just sneak attack him, that does a lot of damage!" Wizard says "I'll just cast X on him, that always works! etc
>>
Why does Artificer suck?
>>
>>50398170
What artificer? there is no official artificer.

Anyway, the concept of an Artificer simply doesn't fit 5e. That's why there is no official artificer class.

Magic Items in 5e are not the same as magic items in past editions. A single +1 weapon is very powerful this time around with bounded accuracy.

Potions aren't what they used to be either.

The only way I could see an artificer working out is if the items they made were very temporary. Like once/long rest they can create a magic item that does X that breaks/disappears after X, they can only have X created at a time until level X when they can create

Forge Cleric from the UA is a pretty good stand in for an artificer. Create shit that won't break the game on short rests, enhance an item on long rest.
>>
>>50398253
>there is no official artificer
nigger.
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf
>>
>>50398273
>UA
>Official

Double Nigger.
>>
File: 1465946928197.gif (373KB, 722x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465946928197.gif
373KB, 722x720px
>>50398253
>>50398279
>Forge Cleric from the UA is a pretty good stand in for an artificer
>>
>>50395784
>undead
>vulnerable to radiant
citation needed
>>
File: video_preview.jpg (237KB, 1800x906px) Image search: [Google]
video_preview.jpg
237KB, 1800x906px
I'm thinking about getting a high fantasy monster hunter game going with cozy towns being tormented by local beast of all kinds. Has anyone done this before in DnD? It seems like what the system is best used as.
>>
>>50398356
Only a very, very few. Like shadows.
>>
>>50398288
Did I ever say Forge Cleric was official? I specified it was UA.

UA isn't official. It's some shit crawford and mearls fuck around with occasionally. Pretty much all of it, including Forge Cleric, is largely unbalanced, especially in terms of multi-classing/relation to official classes (UA Ranger is absurdly frontloaded, Shadow Sorcerer's first two abilities are so ridiculously good literally any character in the game would massively benefit from it)

Some of it may see translation into actual, official material eventually, but not without revisions and not for a very long while yet. Get your head out of your ass, you triple nigger.
>>
>>50396525
>revised wot4e
no such a thing

>inb4 homebrew
I don't play shit
>>
File: 1468287752480.jpg (16KB, 220x202px) Image search: [Google]
1468287752480.jpg
16KB, 220x202px
>>50398422
>there is no artificer
>but hey man there's something almost like artificer in this UA you should check it out xD
>>
>>50391447
>Did you buff existing feats that are in need? Which ones? How?

>Defensive Duelist
Along with the feat's normal benefits, you gain proficiency with shields if you do not already have it.

>Grappler
The last line of this feat is, by the rules as written, useless. Replace it with the following:
You can attempt to grapple a creature of Huge size or smaller.

>Inspiring Leader
Along with the feat's normal benefits, you gain the following:
If a creature has temporary hit points from this effect, it can sacrifice its remaining temporary hit points to gain advantage on a single attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

>Savage Attacker
If you critically hit with a melee weapon, roll an additional exploding d6.

>Tough
When you make a saving throw, you can give yourself advantage on it. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

>Weapon Master
Along with the feat's normal benefits, you gain the follow:
You gain a Fighting style as from the Fighter class feature. As normal, you cannot choose a Fighting Style you already have the benefits from.

Not including homebrew feats. And the Savage Attacker buff is due to our own houserule of replacing 5E's crits with dice are considered to hit their maximum value and you add an exploding d6. Half-orc, Barbarian, and other such things that normally increase the power of your crit add extra d6's.
>>
>>50398356
I said "if anything." There are more undead vulnerable to radiant than to necrotic is the point.
>>
>>50398446
I don't understand what you're saying. There is no official Artificer class.

There is an Artificer UA and another, brand new UA cleric that is very much like an Artificer.

You asked why Artificer is shit, it doesn't exist. I knew you were also probably referring to the shitty homebrew UA artificer, and offered the new shitty homebrew UA Forge Cleric as a much better, albeit still unofficial, Artificer substitute.

people who actually would want to play an Artificer are the fucking worst though. Next to Monks
>>
File: Kled.jpg (45KB, 543x709px) Image search: [Google]
Kled.jpg
45KB, 543x709px
Trying to make a PC much like this guy, except I don't know what mount to go with and he'd be a Volo's guide Goblin instead.

I'm thinking of going with the revised ranger Beast Conclave for the companion and then the Unearthed Arcana Cavalier archetype. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1470299600164.jpg (335KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
1470299600164.jpg
335KB, 500x490px
>>50398501
I'm saying you're way overly salty that you didn't know about a specific UA entry.
Which is a sign of autism, since only an autist takes offense when something they think they know turns out as something they actually didn't know.
>>
>>50398501
UA is 100% official, not only released in the official page but also writen by all the devs

Unless this is another /5eg/ doesn't know the meaning of the words its using episode
>>
>>50398422
Official: Authorized or issued authoritatively.

Look at it, UA it's both by wotc, awesome.
>>
>>50397997
Head over to OSR; you might have fun there.
>>
>>50398558
Size shifted psuedodragon/wyvern?
>>
>>50398288
>British girl
>wearing MAGA hat

I'm no Hillary supporter but I think maybe this is getting out of hand a little

Just a little
>>
>>50398642
That would be fun, but then again I wouldn't mind riding something more grounded like a bear or badger.
>>
File: 1475014639391.jpg (130KB, 900x935px) Image search: [Google]
1475014639391.jpg
130KB, 900x935px
>>50398649
>not knowing Karen
>not getting it
Keep up with the times old man. Lest you find yourself living a country filled with communists out for your blood.
>>
>>50398664
It has to be something naturally cowardly and smart enough to recognize his own bravery so a badger wouldn't work.
>>
>>50398170
Powerful item crafting borks the system that all the other classes use, with powers that recharge over time. You can say that someone can make X items a day that expire by the end of the day, and deal with massive player confusion at how counter-intuitive that is. Or you have a class that's useless in a fast-paced game and overpowered if you get lots of downtime.
>>
>>50398170
>>50398253
I would say that the Forge Cleric is certainly as close as one can get right now, and it is due to how they handle magic items. Even being able to make a single weapon or armor +1 for the day is a very strong feature from the Forge cleric.

It would certainly need to be worked from the ground up as its own thing. You have certain spells and effects that fit it like Magic Weapon or Flame Arrows, and potions can be used for healing and other effects, but 5e doesn't have the crafting rules to just let you churn these out over a long period of time.

You'd basically want to build it as a bunch of layered Class features. Like giving them the Forge Cleric ability to make one weapon magic per day, the ability to make X healing potions per day that scales up, the ability to cast Flame Arrows X times per day, the ability to make a weapon temporarily magic or deal a certain damage type, the ability to make alchemist's fire, acid flasks, or oil not suck as combat options.

You could make it work, but it'd basically be a pile of class features for a very narrow specific kind of artificer with only a few tricks.
>>
>>50398716
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf
It's there.
It just sucks.
>>
>>50398373
monster hunter is what my homebrew setting is taking some inspiration from. not completely but an aspect of it.
>>
>>50398839
>>50398839
>>50398839
>>
>>50394595
Little late, but this is kinda what i do. +5 speed x str mod
+1 language or tool x int mod
>>
>>50398649
>implying there weren't tons of bongs who didn't want to have Trump win because he said that he wanted to open more free trade with them whereas Obama and by causal extension Clinton explicitly said that they would have to take a back seat in trade negotiations after brexit

It's whatever and off topic though.

I'm just brainstorming character ideas for a campaign that will start in a couple months and one of the options I was thinking of running would be a Barbarian with the Path of the Zealot as the primal path. Anyone have any thoughts on that path? It's in UA Barbarian Primal Paths if you weren't aware.

I'm actually curious as to how impactful the third level feature is and what limits one would put on the sixth level one. How common and accessible are spells that bring a character back to life WITHOUT doing anything else? Does not having to use components on those spells really amount to that much? Could I theoretically use the free success from Zealous Force on the Relentless Rage throw and hold above 0hp an extra turn before having to rely on Zealous Presence?

I don't know, sounds like it could be quite fun to have a Barb who is able to flirt with death so much. Thoughts?
>>
File: [admonishing intensifies].png (579KB, 857x442px) Image search: [Google]
[admonishing intensifies].png
579KB, 857x442px
>>50398649
>implying Britain doesn't want to MAGA
>>
>>50394960
>GWF with relevant feat does 5 * (7.833+5) or 9 * (7.833+5) and can drop accuracy for +10 per hit
>TWF with feat under these rules does 8 * (4.5+5) or 12 * (4.5+5) and gains a 1 AC advantage
Eh.
>>
>>50399615
Those both sound like pretty good changes, although I feel like they might scale up too much at really high strength or Int.

Around half that is where I'd feel more comfortable, being able to get 10 or 15 feet of speed out of high strength or 2-3 tools from Int. I don't think there's a really clean way to do that though.
>>
>>50395845
Players do appreciate custom maps, which is something I strive to do as well but online resources are garbage for 80% of content.

Your players will love it, trust me. I often use the maps that your trying to emulate and players enjoy that attention to detail. Its one of the many things that stick to their memory.
>>
For something like the Nilbog's "reversal of fortune," how many times can it react like that? Like let's say in one turn "rotation," it has a turn, and then 3 players all take their turns. Can it nullify all 3 of their attacks or can it only nullify one and the has to eat the other 2?
>>
>>50391495
I like it, Human varients fall back a little bit, but 2 feats is still strong as hell. HV is pretty much one of the best races anyway.

The only caveat, make sure to rule that stats cannot start over 17 regardless of modifiers or feats. If they want to play a half-elf with the actor feat, they need to point buy only 14 into Charisma. If not you just solve the problem of "I want to play a character using a crossbow so I HAVE to go human and Crossbow master" with "I'm playing a Sorcerer, so I HAVE to go half-elf and take actor because 18CHA at start is so valuable."

We also houserule GWM and SS to miss out on the -5/+10 damage swing ability, but each gives +1 STR or +1DEX respectively. Yeah it nerfs the martials potential damage but our group tend to be a bit stingy with long rests so the staying power of martials really shines.
>>
>>50402317
Nullify one, eat the other two.

Or ideally.

Eat one, Nullify one, healing the first, Eat the third.

Assuming all three passed the saves to attack him AND hit.

Also, do remember that killing the nilbog just releases the spirit, who likely turns the next nearest goblin into guess what, another Nilbog!

And most importantly remember that Nilbogs can possess any goblin, throw those reversal of fortune and charisma-save-to-attack abilities on a Goblin Boss and you've got quite the sticky situation.
>>
>>50402643
>>50402643
Plot quest idea.

Village guard calls the players over, asking for a favour. Some folk have spotted a goblin in a cloak skulking around the town the last few nights, they posted a watch to keep an eye out the night before but he never showed or at least they didn't spot him. He asks them to take a shift looking out to see what it is up to on his behalf since the Goblin is smart enough to keep an eye out for him.

Upon catching the goblin, he nervously reveals a piece of parchment and explains he was instructed to post it on the tavern notice board, but couldn't sneak inside to do so. It's a "Help Wanted: Will Pay Gold Coinz" sign in terrible mispelled handwriting from an individual known as "King Klarrick". If questioned, the Goblin further reveals that King Klarrick is the bugbear leading his tribe of goblins who hide out in a castle in the woods.

The goblin leads them through the forest to the hidden keep, the home of a few dozen goblins, a couple bugbears and their leader, King Klarrick, who explains the deal frankly. They've got a problem that needs solving that they can't handle, in exchange for the party dealing with it he offers a sum of gold, the release of the four hostage prisoners he has in his dungeon, and a pinkie-promise contract that the goblins will refrain from any direct raids on villages and farmsteads for the next two years.

The problem? It seems a Nilbog spirit has invested into the goblin tribe, which as troublesome as it is, isn't the problem. The issue is the goblin the Nilbog spirit possessed with it's eldrich fortune and inherent havocry was the goblin "Bluthag." who happened to infact be a Bharghest, a demon that takes the form of a Goblin and preys on the souls of his allies. Nilbogs can be saited and Bharghests can be driven off, but the two conflicting facets of the creature have made it impossible to handle both peacefully and not so. They have sealed it in the dungeon below the castle for now.
>>
>>50397929
I swear i already have this like 15 times on my phone
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.