[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 29

File: stormlight.jpg (159KB, 1224x781px) Image search: [Google]
stormlight.jpg
159KB, 1224x781px
>Latest News
-NEW Unearthed Arcana: Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>>50365553

>Topic
Have you made/played in a homebrew setting heavily inspired from another book?
Was it Stormlight Archive?
>>
first for kobold dragon-hunting party
>>
>>50375452
why would kobolds be hunting dragons
>>
>>50375469
Because...
Their Dragon boss said so?
>>
>>50375469
PC Power phantasies
>>
>>50375469
To drink their blood and become dragons themselves.
>>
>>50375469
VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN, friendo
>>
>>50375609
this is like normie general in the context of /tg/
>>
>>50375469
>>50375506

See, is all very japanese high school life, with them dragons.
Dragons be wearing pompadours and those long, coaty uniforms and sending their kobold lackeys to kidnap mimic-chan, that other dragon's crush.

>You can't hope to defeat me, If you're unable to deal with my Kobolds
>I assure you, those are the strongest Kobolds in Faerun High!
>>
It's two sessions in to my first campaign ever with the Mines of Phandelver campaign, should I be worried by the fact that we've had 5 KOs already? It's been our Fighter three times, and our Monk twice.
>>
>>50375664
KOs are pretty common from my experience, and not really a big deal especially if you have some kind of healer
>>
>>50375664
Seems to me like they're doing their jobs

>>50375537
yes
>>
Forge cleric makes me sad I'm a permadm.
>>
File: Dindu nuffin.png (147KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Dindu nuffin.png
147KB, 444x250px
One of my players is playing a cleric of an evil god. He wants to disguise his divine magic as something vaguely druidic/alchemical, calling it "natural philosophy", so other PCs and NPCs won't lynch him. For example, his Warding Flare involves using pocket sand and calling it flash powder, while Fireball involves throwing a bottle of "alchemist's fire".
Would you allow this in your campaign? How would you stat that? Make him roll for deception at every spell he casts?
>>
I'll bring my question over to the new thread then: 50374586

What do you think, /tg/?
>>
>>50375724
Make a DMPC and ram it down your players' throats until one of them DMs
>>
>>50375686
We have a bard. Just a bard.
>>50375692
They just keep doing stupid crap and diving headfirst in to trouble.
>>
>>50375739
Forgot the quote >>50374586

Just slay me now
>>
>>50372302
taking a look at him, that doesn't seem very rapier-ish, looks more like a cutlass

though upon a lot more research, it looks like a backsword?
>>
>>50375734
Wait so he wants to use Warding Flare but turn it into the illusion of him throwing pocket sand?

Or does he want to refluff Warding Flare into throwing pocket sand ?

Are your other players pretty familiar with 5E ? It might backfire if they know what a Light Cleric does.

Also, why is he not just roleplaying to be devoted to Lathander ?
>>
An elder brain was a CR 25 monster in 3.5e, in 5e it's a fucking chump.
Justice for elder brains!
>>
>>50375734
Clerics have to flash their holy symbol, don't they?
>>
>>50375745
>They just keep doing stupid crap and diving headfirst in to trouble.

>>50375750
If my DM offered to turn my PC into a dragon I would refuse. The idea is almost disgusting to me for some reason. I'd find a way not to do it, like I'd ask him to make it so my PC is the only one not getting transformed - and then he has to ride the others.

They might investigate why the hell it's not working for him. Or they might not care.
But fuck turning into a dragon.
>>
>>50375766
From what I understand, his character will throw pocket sand, there'll be a flash of light, and then he'll pretend that the cause of this flash was pocket sand.
Other players know he's playing a cleric, though they don't know the specifics, but they're good at separating IC and OOC knowledge.
It's my own setting. There are two gods of Light, and he chose an evil one to worship. Why is that is beyond me.
>>50375768
This one is handled. His god's holy symbol is fire, but instead of using an amulet with a picture of fire, he'll be using actual fire - a torch, a lamp, a censer. It's a fun way to circumvent the need for obvious holy symbol, so I've allowed that.
>>
>>50375734
Do you trust the player to not dick over the rest of the party? Why would his PC stick with the group?
>>
>>50375791
Yes? I mean, for the most noteworthy one there, the Fighter diving in to a 1v5, and the Monk deciding NOT to drink a healing potion that would save his ass on purpose
>>
DMs, how do you encourage your players to roleplay? My players don't really, and we might as well switch to 4e if they aren't going to, because all they seem to like is tactical combat.
>>
>>50375802
I think I'll just allow it then. Just as long as his motives are clear & set & compatible with the group, like >>50375817 said.

I don't really understand why he has to hide his powers, he could just pretend he's a cleric of the good god of Light. That seems a bit convoluted.

But nah no deception checks unless there's actual confrontation and people are rolling Insight/Investigation against him. It'll just be cumbersome otherwise.
>>
>>50375820
Are they new? Is it an issue for the game? Is it getting in the way of fun?

Just don't be lenient. Maybe if it makes sense make it so one of your sadistic/feral creatures (like a pack of wolves with one very hungry/weak wolf) actually attack one once he's KO.

But otherwise I don't see an issue, from what you've said. They're just playing the game and not being very good at the least important part of said game: combat.
>>
>>50375836
You have to do a shitton of roleplaying on your own end and maybe they'll start getting more into it. Like, have NPCs do more, describe them doing things more, etc. It might pull them into it. You can also try mood enhancing stuff like music or whatever. Also, use the inspiration mechanic 5e has that nobody ever remembers - I don't think you should really mechanically incentivize them beyond that, though - it can get out of hand.

Otherwise, some people just don't get into it too hard for various reasons. Maybe they're uncomfortable getting too into character (embarrassed, etc), maybe their 'roleplaying' is different from yours (do you expect voices and stuff?), maybe they really just are into RPGs for the combat and problem solving more than RPing.
Switching systems can be good if that last one is the case, but at least ask them what's up at first.Maybe they're fine as they are, in which case no need to rock the boat (unless you want to play 4e...then ask them if they would be ok with swapping)
>>
>>50375871
To clarify, I'm playing as part of the party, not a GM, they both have more experience with RPGs than me, if slightly.
>>
>>50375918
Let them play their way, desu
>>
>>50375918

If it's your second session of Lost Mines, it should be noted that the fight with the Bugbear is notoriously deadly. I've done that fight a handful of times now, and it always ends up with at least one dead party member, usually several. Not KO'd, but straight up dead.
>>
>>50376025
That Clarg guy? We covered that entire place with the first session, our Fighter was unconcious the entire time during that the bugbear had shown up, and my Sorcerer was the only person he attacked, never landed a hit on me with a javelin and 2-3 melee attacks.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
>>50375768
holy symbols can be disguised, AFAIK. specially if the God's portfolio promotes lies and deception

in a 3.5 adventure (cormyr something) there was a cleric of Cyric that disguised his symbol as a black disk so he could infiltrate a cult of Shar, that in turn was disguised as a temple of Mystra.
>>
>>50376093
>>50376025
But yeah, is it bad that I'm worried about them, even if my character, being more or less a selfish TN, isn't?
>>
I don't want to DM any more but nobody else wants to do it either and honestly I think the others would be worse at it than me.
Send help or assassins, either works for me
>>
>>50375802
Wouldn't it be infinitely easier for everyone involved if he was pretending to be a cleric of the good god of light? People in the D&D world know what clerics are, and they know what the verbal and somatic components of spells are like. If he recites magic worda, waves his hands, throws a bottle and then casts Fireball, nobody's going to be fooled into thinking it was anything but casting Fireball.
>>
>>50375734
>>50375802
I see this all the time where one player wants his character to be misunderstood by the other characters. This can be done well in that the pretense is natural and only comes up in the story in a dramatic way, or it can be done poorly where the pretense in unbelievable and will fall apart almost immediately, leading people to wonder how this unrealistic facade would have been maintained for any length of time prior to the story's beginning.

Better just to be up front with the rest of the players, and have them conveniently metagame as to not notice or care. Especially if everyone sits down and brainstorms ahead of time why they are working together and has reasonable motivations other than arbitrary dnd alignments.
>>
Last thread someone was shit talking fantasy grounds and I just wanted to give my two cents. Since I personally feel for busy people with some disposable cash it's worth it.

I mean when it comes to VTT the only real options are Fantasy Grounds and Roll 20. Roll 20 only isbt shit if you pay for the sub and even then you still need to pay for any licensed material. Unless you want to import it yourself(which you can also do in FG) but I dont have the time to do that plus it also lends itself to user error.

As far as features the UI is a little clunky but it's not too hard to get used to. It beats having to write macros in roll 20 for everything.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone where money is tight. Bit for people like.me who don't have as much time.anymore who can only.play with friends.online and who have full time work fantasy grounds beats out Roll 20 and there isn't any other VTT out there that comes close to those two.

Plus it gets regular updates and the new unity version will come out soon with some good features. And the devs are pretty nice guys.
>>
>>50376498
Do you work for Fantasy Grounds?
>>
File: triangle.gif (957KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
triangle.gif
957KB, 500x500px
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2bXgsHg7PtJNEdpNHBVRDVOXzA/view

I don't want to wait for the new UA and have decided I'm making a mystic from this homebrew. Looking at order of the invisible hand.

Do you guys think it's balanced well? Thinking of focusing on crystalline manifestations too as my go-to power.
>>
>>50376518
Nah, just a fan. I get a little sick of people touting roll 20 because it's free when it's only useful features can only be used with a sub. And even then it's a pain to plug everything in yourself. And the UI is ugly as sin.

Id be happy if a better VTT came around that beat them both. One with a far more intuitive UI.
>>
What's a good alternative name for Aganazzar's Scorcher?
>>
>>50376576
My Blowtorch.
>>
>>50376576
<magename> <fireword> Eg. Balthazar's Burner
Or
<known fire mage name> <Implement word> Eg. Chandra's Lash
>>
>>50375392
>old hippie plants leeks while a ninja riding a scooter made of dead bodies shoots lasers at an approaching hurricane.
>>
>>50376609
>>50376588
I mean, like, to avoid giving it the name of a person on it.
>>
>>50376619
Astounding Scintillating Searer.
>>
>>50376619
Use song names
Hells bells
>>
>>50376629
I don't know why I didn't expect a silly name from you guys.
>>50376674
I'll think about it.
>>
>>50376576
Magician's Red
>>
>>50376576
>>50376619
Just name it Scorcher then.
>>
>>50376619

Fire Blast.

Flame Wave.

Combustion Cannon.

BURNING ATTACK

Blazing Discharge
>>
File: cult temple.jpg (465KB, 1536x1154px) Image search: [Google]
cult temple.jpg
465KB, 1536x1154px
>>50376538
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2bXgsHg7PtJNEdpNHBVRDVOXzA/view
It just seems overly complicated at first glance.
The Psi Limit does not seem ruled by anything coherent, it's just a bunch of numbers. The amount of Psi Points is just ridiculous. I'm not talking about balance here mind you, just talking design. If you design a class for 5E that has "17" of something that is not HP @LV4, your design sucks.

Just look at the class progression table. It's a fucking mess.

And now I've just realised. Man... It's a 13 pages homebrew class on a 53 pages document. Can you tell me how many pages there are for a regular class at the moment?
Still not as bad as the 30 pages on the Witch class alone. Holy fuck people are dumb and ineffective.
>>
>>50376619
I got it
Ray of fire
>>
File: Dale Gribble, Master Mage.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Dale Gribble, Master Mage.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>50375734
>POCKET SAND
>>
>>50376619
Big Boomy Blazing Blaster
>>
>>50376690
Duplicitous Incendiary Channel Kindler
>>
>>50376277
I know that feel, so many PCs I want to play but no DM to take my place
>>
>>50376576
Chandra's Fury.
>>
In the SCAG, do we get a sense of what portfolios (rather than domains) each god has/represents?
>>
Hexes or squares, /5eg/?
>>
I injected a little bit of magical realm into my homebrew setting

the only elves are now brown athletic jungle elves

how awful am i?
>>
>>50377125
Squares, never tried hexes
>>
>>50376792
Well, most classes have between 4-8 pages worth of class and this brew has 7, not counting the fighter and rogue subclasses.

The limit is there to prevent "I'm going to use crossbow attacks until we fight the boss where I can one shot it with a 90d10 mindfuck attack for all my points." Which is kind of a bad design in the sense that it's there as a preventive mechanic, but if the disciplines had more exciting things to use at higher limits, then gaining new limits would have a better feeling.

The whole concept behind the class is to be a different spellcaster. More battlefield "control" and utility stuff, which I think is more fun than cliche wizards and mages. "Spells per day" actually makes less sense than power points, and keeping track of PP is no different than ammo.
>>
>>50377093
i don't think you know what "portfolio" means but there is at least two paragraphes on each god in the SCAG, plus details on non-human gods.
Fuck, elven gods are boring.

>>50377152
Just as long as you don't force the monstrosity in your image into your games, shouldn't be a problem.
I think it's fine giving them a more raw, less perfect aspect. High Elves are meh to me, especially if you don't give them intrigue.

>>50377176
I understand why there's a limit and why there are lots of points. But I'm saying I don't like it, I don't think it's what 5E design is about, and I don't think this homebrew does Psions well.

Although to be honest i'm not a fan of Psions in the first place.
>>
Hey everyone.

Lets say that I'm hypothetically going to join an AL game with a level 1 character... while the party is all level 5. What class combo will give me the best chance of staying alive long enough to be a leech. Preferably something that can actually do something besides hide, if possible.
>>
>>50377466
Druid 2 Barbarian 3, Moon and Bear totem.

Enjoy resistance to everything and an extra bubble of animal hit points. Play Hill dwarf for even more HP.
>>
>>50377466
You'd be surprised how long you can survive if you focus only on staying alive, with any class.
I guess Fighter and Ranger are all good from afar, and you should have plenty AC and saves.

I could be wrong but you should be able to lvl up fairly quickly, especially 2nd & 3rd. How many players in the party?
>>
They sure are pushing out a lot of class option Unearthed Arcanas lately. I like this. Does /5eg/ have any complaints on the bard colleges and divine domains?
>>
>>50377152
that looks uncomfortable as fuck
>>
>>50377587
College of Whispers is a mess that lacks a coherent theme. Forge cleric is massively overpowered with a potential +2 to AC even without magic items. The new clerics in general have a lot of paladin-like abilities, which is risky because of the two classes' history of having a blurred line between them, thematically speaking.
That said, College of Glamour is dope as all fuck (as was the fanatic barbarian two weeks ago), and I'm glad they're doing this because it almost certainly means a PHB2 or class splat but with proper testing and feedback (very much unlike certain previous editions' splats).
>>
>>50377489
That's a great build and I know it works, but it's getting PAST the first level which is the challenge.

>>50377520
Thanks for the good advice! The party is fairly large, which is good! However, it's very likely that this coming week would be a module, and those tend to be harder and quicker paced. If I get caught in a small enclosed area at least once, it could get dicey very fast.

What do you think about race?
>>
>>50377253
basically, in my setting, the high elves are nearly extinct, their number less than 100, but there is very specific reasons for this. The "jungle" elves are descended from the high elves that went to reclaim their old lands after a cataclysmic event wiped nearly all sentient life out. Without going into too much detail, they went, to phrase it, "too early" and the latent magic of that cataclysm was still in the air, and it slowly addled their minds. Not to madness but to change their culture to one of elegance and beauty that the high elves are known for to one of primal existence with nature and some minimalism. Life was harsher in this rebirthed world so they went from high elves to buff wood elves and became +1 STR/DEX/WIS, rather than +2/+1, and obviously several generations of humid jungle living will brown their skin.
>>
>>50377626
>College of Glamour and Fanatic Barbarian
>not College of Whispers and Spooky Ghost Barbarian

C'mon, man, that's just weaksauce. Also, the College of Whispers has a pretty clear theme: Dickass Twat. Sneak-Attacking, Face-Stealing, Paranoia-Inspiring manipulator. More of an NPC antagonist or an Evil Campaign option, but definitely a pretty unified design. You're a social predator.

>>50377637
If you really want to hammer home the survivability, Goliath gives you yet another means of not dying. Same for half-orc.
>>
>>50377637
I should mention here, that I had some pretty good rolls, but throughout the first 3 levels, my half-orc monk survived so much punishment, It's a small wonder he even reached that far.
Fucking Relentless Endurance, goddamn.
Also, bonus disengage for 1 ki. That was also useful
>>
>>50377672
Spooky ghost barbarian was the dumbest, because of its extreme reliance on very specific visual cues. This leaves no room for refluffing.
"Dickass twat" is not a theme, it's an attitude. The face-stealing has so little to do with the other features that I'm wondering why they felt the need to write such a needlessly multi-step ability in the first place.
Contrast to that Glamour and Fanatic, which have extremely coherent themes and great refluff potential (if they remove the radiant damage from fanatics, at least).

Either way, flavor arguments can be a bit meaningless, because they at least partially rely on personal preference. What do you think of my opinions on the new Cleric domains?

>>50377660
That's a really classic science-fiction-like backstory - I like it a lot. Modern D&D could stand to learn from that genre.
>>
My biggest problem with the College of Glamour was that it was lacking the punch that I imagine when it comes to being FABULOOOOUUUUS.
>>
>>50377637
Party being fairly large is not necessarily a good thing. It means the DM will resort to AoEs, and it also means less XP/encounter for you.

>>50377626
>College of Whispers is a mess that lacks a coherent theme.
That's pretty wrong. College of Whispers has a theme, and a pretty cool one at that. I had wet dreams of a party full of Mastermind, Inquisitives, Whisperers for intrigue scenarios.

Their main issue, which is OK, is
> Venomous Word demands 10 minutes alone with a NPC. 1 minute would make the feature 100% fine.
> Size restriction on Mantle of Whispers does not make sense
> Shadow Lore is awful (but eh, LV14 feature, who cares)
Basically a lot of "it" is about your DM playing well enough with these abilities, and his acting skills.

>>50377763
Man, Enthralling Performance is pretty effin fabulous.
>>
File: 4qr2tf.jpg (78KB, 799x618px) Image search: [Google]
4qr2tf.jpg
78KB, 799x618px
So /5eg/, got a question. What would you say would be balanced for a Kusarigama? GM is gonna restart a long-term campaign soonish I think, and we're starting with new characters. Was gonna play a multiple weapon-using ninja character and I need to pitch him something for a Kusarigama.

When I think of a Kusarigama, I think something along the lines of a 1d4/slashing-bludgeoning/finesse/10ft reach martial weapon with the ability to disarm/grapple. But that feels incredibly loaded with shit. Any ideas?
>>
>>50377776
I agree that it has a theme, but not all the abilities support it. I don't think Mantle of Whispers meshes well with the others.

>>50377763
>Can charm people without them even knowing
>Can protect himself from attack, whilst charming attackers
>Can implant suggestions in charmed targets
That's pretty elfin' fabulous if you ask me.
>>
>>50377789
Yes, just use the whip stats like 5e intended. It already does 1d4 slashing and has finesse and reach.
>>
Would anyone recommend me a 5e setting that isn't FR and is still medieval, well established, has available pdfs, online info etc.
>>
>>50377835
I would've, but I feel like the main purpose of a Kusarigama is to bind/disarm the opponent which the whip doesn't cover. Would it be justified to just up the price of the whip and add on the ability to grapple/disarm?
>>
>>50377726
>no room for refluffing
Whaa?
>magical wind whisperer
>self aware maori tattoos
>that one guy who's really bros with a minor deity

Fuck, you can even call the way of master strategist. Every feature can be attributed to you giving really good advice. Even 14th level feat is basically
>I KNEW that's going to happen. HA HA. You stepped into caltrops/got counterattacked/ stepped into a wall
>>
>>50377626
>The new clerics in general have a lot of paladin-like abilities, which is risky because of the two classes' history of having a blurred line between them, thematically speaking.
PHB clerics have divine strike too. Which other features are you referring to?
>>
>>50377874

"Make an attack roll against the opponent -- instead of dealing damage, you can make a grapple / shove / disarm (from the DMG) attempt."
>>
>>50377912
Well guess I've got brain problems, thanks anon.
>>
>>50377844
Obligatory
>Forgotten Realms
>Well-designed

>>50377874
Disarming isn't really a thing in 5e, unless you're playing a battlemaster fighter. If you want to disarm people, I'd recommend a 3-level dip into fighter (which is kind of appropriate for weapons-expert ninjas anyway).
5e's philosophy is consciously anti-weapon bloat. Everything that isn't in the PHB, they encourage to make a refluff (they specifically say that a nunchaku is a club, for example).

>>50377897
IDK, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. I still don't like it, but I'll let that argument go.
>>
>>50377874
>Kusarigama
Use the Disarming Attack maneuver with your whip, either as a Battlemaster or with the Martial Adept feat. It might not be the prettiest solution, but that's the one I'd give you as a DM (admittedly Martial Adept is one of the feats I buffed)
>>
>>50377776
>>50377820

Sure, it's fabulous, but it's only so-so fabulous. It's not Jojo-posing fabulous.
>>
>>50377905
It's not Divine Strike I'm concerned about, although it's a bit silly that they ALL have it. I'm concerned about, for the forge/protection cleric:
*Access to searing smite/compelled duel
*Access to the defense/protection combat style (thematically appropriate, but still encroaching on martial territory)
>>
>>50377963

I disagree.

Characters should be able to trip and disarm without being Battlemasters -- the key difference here is that non-BM's just go for the effect, while BM's get the effect AND extra damage.
>>
>>50377948
>>50377963
Yeah, I'd probably go for martial adept to get that sweet disarming attack. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
>>
>>50378018
Derp, I forgot about Martial Adept when I suggested multiclassing. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>50378005
Yup. But if it's not a mechanical "character choice" it's less guaranteed to be even tryable.

Now if the guy is martial, I'd allow that he can try but DC may vary.

If the guy is a Battlemaster with Disarming, I've got no say in the matter since the rules are clear.

That's pretty much how I go with all that stuff.
>>
>>50375734
Stealthy evil is the best sort of evil.

I'd try to accomodate, but take note it'snot entirely easy.

His holy symbol could be obscure from an obscure offshoot of the evil diety's place, and thus take a high religion roll to identify (which the chance that it gets immediately identified by a player, though people may not choose to believe whoever identifies the holy symbol or the two of them might agree to not mention it because whoever identified the holy symbol is nice).

If they want to appear to not be a light cleric at all, it's probably fine if they want to reasonably refluff it.
I'd likely say they'd have to have a reason it's refluffed like so, such as 'My character is a natural philosopher' or something, rather than just saying 'I shoot ice bolts because I want ice instead of water'.

.. It'd also have to make sense. I hope the 'fire ball' isn't a flask of something-like-alchemist's-fire alone. Alchemist's fire is nowhere near as strong. As a focus? Perhaps.

DO note a Cleric can use a components pouch instead of a holy symbol. That's probably what they're trying to do.

Technically it's better to use a shield as it allows them to cast M and M + S hands without needing an extra hand free.
>>
Do you guys have any tips for running an evil campaign?
>>
Is a dex fighter a good idea?
Primarily to go with a bow, I suppose a pair of scimitars or short swords would be in order as well, likewise for medium armor that gets dex bonus
>>
>>50378228
>DO note a Cleric can use a components pouch instead of a holy symbol. That's probably what they're trying to do.
Wait, what? Where is it written?
>>
>>50378259
Archery fighters are amazing, especially with Sharpshooter.
>>
>>50378247
1. Evil people can have friends
2. Evil people are not automatically contrarian
3. Evil people can have varied goals
4. Evil people can obey the law and respect others when it suits them
5. Evil people are simply those that don't place much value on others' well-being compared to their own, but their own well-being can certainly extend to others they care about

As far as designing a campaign, it honestly doesn't have to be super different from a normal one. If you're looking for a specific flavor, make sure their quest givers are evil clerics or cult leaders instead of town sheriffs and such. Their quests also might involve killing things that aren't monsters, but it's honestly not necessary.

>>50378259
You don't need a pair of anything because dex gets added to damage with finesse weapons now - except on off-hand weapon attacks, making them not terribly useful without speccing. That said, if you have no other use for bonus actions, you might as well.
>>
>>50378259
I feel like Dex is the default option for fighters in 5e. There's not much value added by going strength, other than being compatible with random magic weapons.
>>
>>50375756
Really? Looks very rapier to me.
Cutlasses have a curve to them.
>>
>>50375664

I've run Mines of Phandelver 5 times for different groups

that ambush by the goblins has TPKd or nearly knocked out the entire party
>>
>>50378278
Clerics use a holy symbol as an arcane focus.

An arcane focus automatically covers any material component that does not have a cost attached to it.

A components pouch is assumed to hold all components for any spell that does not have a cost attached.

>>50378259
>>50378326
The only reason to go strength is honestly for GWM or if you're REALLY desperate for better athletics check for shield master's shove or somethingstupid.

GWM is a big reason, though.
However, sharpshooter is also perfectly fine.

If you can, get 15 strength + 20 dexterity so that you gain +1 AC from heavy armour while also having the benefit of all dexterity.

Two-weapon-fighting is not for fighters, however.
Fighters are best suited towards crossbow master / sharpshooter / GWM. They can also do shield master, I guess. PAM is slightly better on barbarians but is honestly more Paladin territory.

>>50378319
>evil people can have friends
This desu
>>
>>50375802

Pretend he's a good cleric that worships the Light. Have his holy symbol be like a coin: on one side is the evil side and the other side be the good side. That way he can flash the good side of the symbol while really using the evil side. Its just like pottery
>>
File: merlin.jpg (16KB, 447x249px) Image search: [Google]
merlin.jpg
16KB, 447x249px
Your table now rules that a short rest = a night's sleep and a long rest = a week spent in town off adventuring.

How does your campaign change?
>>
>>50378398
As a warlock, I use even fewer spells, and I probably can't get the paladin to lay her hands on me during fights. JK she's not putting out so I'm macking on her squire
>>
File: Twoface.jpg (13KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Twoface.jpg
13KB, 333x250px
>>50378396
Harvey Dent, can we trust him?
>>
File: it says here ur taste is shit.jpg (25KB, 300x506px) Image search: [Google]
it says here ur taste is shit.jpg
25KB, 300x506px
>>50375750
>not taking the Golden Dragon
pls
>>
>>50378398

The pacing suffers.

Hell, I sometimes mull around the idea of shortening rests to five minutes or making features that refresh on short rests encounter style abilities.
>>
>>50375750
>I like dragons that are strong yet interesting.
>>50378568
>I like dragons that are Mary Sues
>>
>>50378372
What makes Paladins benefit more from PAM than Barbarians?
>>
>>50377789
1d6 slashing two handed finesse reach.

Or Scimitar whip dual wielding.
>>
>>50378618
But do you really ever do a "full adventuring day"?

For me, most session seem to start at a new in-game day. And almost no session has five combat encounters.
>>
>Coming to the realization that because of my character's background and temperament I'm going to be taking a crapload of combat spells

Oh boy. This is bad isn't it?
>>
How best to use a Flind? It's CR 9 which puts it way out of the league of the Gnolls it would be commanding. Worse it's said they love to lead from the front and be the first into battle, so I can't just have him standing in back barking orders.

The first time he meets the PCs he's going to want to eat then, and without some plot device he's definitely going to succeed
>>
>>50378906
Impose him as a threat they have to avoid at first, one they can't take head on especially with all the support he has. Or let them smash into him and have the danger come from them not having the luxury to rest after before having to continue the effort.
>>
>>50376792
the pillar placement is different between the two maps

reee
>>
>>50378618
>>50378398
I could see either one of these, depending on what you're going for. The short rest mechanic doesn't really work that well in my experience- either there's too much pressure to rest an hour, or we're safe enough to rest 8 hours.

Switching short rest abilities to "per encounter" makes them work more as intended, although it is a buff of sorts.

The other option is intriguing because I don't think it would affect my current game that much, with a few caveats. The first being that you don't have to rest in town, traveling at a normal or perhaps a slow pace for a week is good enough. The second would be adding the ritual tag to more utility spells, or else casters will probably run out of steam even without any fights.

Like >>50378723 says we generally don't have more than one encounter a day, so it's easy to go nova. If we were playing more of straight-up dungeon crawl I wouldn't want these rules though, it would be too much of a slog.
>>
>>50378989
I'm our DM and I'm considering switching out to day/weekend rests for my next campaign, simply to be able to balance the number of encounters correctly.
>>
What's the consensus on Mastermind Rogue? I'm thinking of going hand crossbow + crossbow expert. Two tries each turn at getting sneak attacks, and if I get it on the first shot I can give our paladin advantage on a smite attack.
>>
>>50379198

Buddy of mine at my Saturday game ran with Mastermind Rogue for five levels then multiclassed (as he had planned to from the start). We got a lot of use out of his bonus action Help. It wasn't super powerful or anything, but every little bit helps.
>>
>>50379198
Paladins love advantage - nearly twice the chance for a crit.
>>
>>50379198
Literally only one good feature. Better of going for arcane trickster.
>>
>>50379198
Mastermind Rogues can also aid another twice. Oddly relevant.
>>
>>50379213
Good to know. I'll be multiclassing in wizard anyway.
>>50379269
I know,I usually play them.
>>50379275
Don't wanna.
>>
>>50379327

Ha, that's what my buddy did too. Mastermind/Bladesinger.
>>
>>50379320
>>50379269

Question about the Mastermind's long range Help ability -- can the Mastermind use both its Action / Bonus Action to apply Help to the same enemy to give two attacks against it Advantage?
>>
>>50379366
Huh. We had the same idea.
>>
>>50379367
Not the same enemy as standard. Unless you do aid another, ready action to aid another after it gets attacked.
>>
>>50378631
Smiting, I believe, which do more damage than rage damage or a possible crit with reckless attack (I forget if you could even use reckless attack on the bonus attack, if it's advantage for a turn or just one attack)
>>
I'm going to be running Curso of Strahd soon, is there anything I should keep in mind? Any tips from people that have already run it in the past?
>>
>>50379746

Make sure you play Strahd himself right.
Do not make him a pushover.
>>
>>50379774
Good point, I often suck at using the stronger monsters, I should work out tactics for him beforehand then.
>>
>>50377152
A player in one of my games wanted to play a half-drow for the stats. Sure, okay, but I think Drow are stupid as shit, and I know said player isn't down for everyone in the world going "omfg a drow guards", they just wanna be an Elf with these racial stats.

So Drow are just Brown Elves now.
>>
>>50378398
The evil cults' plans come to fruition because we need to diddle our buttholes for a week so the Wizard can cast Slow again.
>>
Where are the prices list of food, drink, etc? I'm not talking about life style, I'm talking about prices set for a tavern.
>>
>>50378398
>>50378618
You are describing the Gritty Realism and Epic Heroism rest variants in the DMG, page 267.
>>
>>50379926
Choose your lifestyle level

No matter what or how much you eat/drink, as long as it matches your chosen quality then it+ your rent = your lifestyle cost/day
>>
>>50379947
What if the players want to eat something beyond they lifestyle? How should I cost it?
>>
>>50379964
You upgrade them to the appropriate level.

So if they're living modest and eat a single oyster covered in saffron and angel jizz, then it costs 9gp

If they instead eat nine such oysters, they cost 1gp each.
>>
>>50379926
PHB pg. 158.
>>
>>50379990
Thank you!
>>
File: Gunbai.jpg (58KB, 777x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gunbai.jpg
58KB, 777x500px
Alright anons, kusarigama anon here. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for something else for my character. Aside from the kusarigama I'm planning on also running with traps, weapons, bows and arrows, etc. This includes using a shield as well, and I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to shields since I like shaking things up a bit. I like using things people don't consider shields as shields, such as a duelist's fencing cape or parrying dagger. Any ideas for Japanese/asian styled shields I can fit into this category?

Ideas I've come up with are

1. Giant gunbai/war fan
2. Sheath for a katana/wakizashi
3. Armored up arm guard

Ignore the Naruto/weeaboo source, only time I can think of when someone used a giant gunbai as a weapon/shield. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>>50378398
We play a different game.
>>
>>50380130
I like the armoured arm guard, but that's because I love gladiators and it's like a manica
>>
>>50380228
>manica

Did not know that was the official name, but that's what I meant when I was thinking of the arm guard idea. It's a shame the Japanese didn't really use shields at all aside from the tate walls they had.
>>
>>50378259
Dex, dueling with rapier or sharpshooter with longbow/crossbow.
Either eldritch knight or battle master.

I usually dip a Monk level for Dex spears, AC and unarmed strikes and bonus action attack so I still have 4 attacks.
>>
>>50380130
Shuko are often applied defensively, similar to using a buckler shield. Also an iconic ninja tool.
>>
>>50380368
Ah yes, I forgot about those. While realistically I can imagine it being used to block attacks from swords/daggers/melee, I can't imagine how it could defend against arrows or ranged attacks aside from swatting them away.
>>
>>50380130
>Sheath for a katana/wakizashi
Actually quite like this. Might have to consider playing a longsword + scabbard Fighter or Paladin sometime.
>>
>>50380420

That's what I'm actually doing at the moment on my weeaboo duelist character. She's a duelist, and instead of using a shield she uses her scabbard to the same effect.
>>
>>50380420
>>50380439
The only thing the rules say a shield has to be is 6lbs, and held in one hand. I had a cleric whose shield was a portable pulpit to expound behind.
>>
>>50377660
Jungle elves are sexy as fuck. Just imagine sweat glistening on their bodies as they rip your comrades' spines from their bodies and stalk you through the bush, hellbent on adding you to their trophy wall.
>>
>>50380469
>>50380439

I wouldn't let that fly, or at least not allow +2AC.
Shields are strapped to the characters arm and take an action to don / doff.
You can just drop a scabbard.
>>
>>50380560

It's just a fluff thing, I still treat it exactly the same as any other shield. Consider the action to equip it entering my 'special duelist stance of the stars' or whatever.
>>
>>50380581
Anon, this is a blue board.
>>
Are there cool things in Adventuring Gears? Ball bearings, ropes and caltrops are no brainers but is there something else i'm missing?

I was thinking taking a bell to make an alarm "trap" since nobody has the Alarm spell.
>>
>>50380987

It all depends on your situation. I've had situations where I wished I had had a ladder, a pole, a chest. I've never had a situation where I needed, say, soap or ink, but that doesn't mean such a situation might never come up.
>>
Wait, is Dungeonology out, but not scanned, or is it not out yet?
>>
>>50381012
Dungeonology is a pop-up/pull the tabs style children's book. It's not the sort of thing that scans well.
>>
File: ranger4.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ranger4.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>50380987
>>50381009
I'm talking character creation.

Soap could be nice to act like a mini-Grease spell I guess.
>>
>>50381042
>pop-up/pull the tabs style children's book
The fuck.
>>
>>50381046
>Soap could be nice to act like a mini-Grease spell I guess.
Or literal grease
>>
>>50381102
Soap can also be used to, y'know, clean things.
>>
>>50381102
i don't think the DM would allow that
>>
>>50380600
She is wearing a bikini.
>>
>>50381046
>>50380987
I always buy a sack of soap during character creation because of a meme in my group. It's come in handy before.
>>
>>50381135
story time
>>
>>50381130
Not all of one.
>>
>>50381009
Ink can be pretty useful. It's a necessary component for the pen, which in all editions of dnd is mightier than the sword.
>>
>>50381052
>>50381012
>>50381042
I need more information to process this.
>>
It's possible to gain control of two cloud giant castles in SKT, one of which has a lightning cannon

Also, remember to keep the dawn titan in the flask and use it to crush iymrith in a few turns
>>
>>50381314
It's an -ology book, like Dragonology or Wizardology before it.
>>
>>50381144
The meme started in a game where we started above level 1, and my monk had a lot of starting gold. So I bought a ton of things and two wagons to carry it all. to be fair, it wasn't unjustified by the campaign prompt. It was pointed out that I had soap, but the nobleman didn't.

Most of its uses were in passing ourselves off as civilized people.
>>
>>50381344
And all these -ology books are pop-up books?
>>
>>50381314

the -ology books are like intro to D&D lore to indoctrinate younger kids in the 4 to 8 year old range.
>>
Hey 5eg help me out.
Im gonna be playing a war cleric multiclassing fighter, what fighting style should I take?
I use a warhammer and shield, and I like the idea of occasionally dropping my shield using the versatile trait of the warhammer, using action surge and getting 4 attacks all with divine favor and d10.
my group is a monk, fighter, and bard.
>>
>>50381459
Why would I teach my 4 year old about demons?
>>
>>50381354
Oh. And here I was hoping it was based around soapsocking poor bastards in interrogations.
>>
>>50376792
>If you design a class for 5E that has "17" of something that is not HP @LV4, your design sucks.
Psi Points is equivalent to the number of Spell Points you'd have if using the variant rule that's in the DMG.
WotC design totally sucks amirite?
>>
>>50381561
maybe thats why it's a variant

it's inelegant as balls
>>
>>50381561
>WotC design totally sucks amirite?
...you realize what thread you're in, right? Like, a good majority of /5eg/ would probably agree that Kike Mearls is a retarded.
>>
>>50381525
Why aren't you? Just make them cute and silly then build them up from there. Read your kid the Golden Compass of His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman.
>>
Can someone explain to me why 3 of the 6 core races are shorty midgets? Why not just have 1?

It's making my worldbuilding really annoying.
>>
>>50381694
I think I'll start with Satan first.
>>
>>50381712
> Human
> Half-elf
> Dwarf
> Gnome
> Halfling
> Elf
> Dragonborn
> Tiefling
> Half-orc
This is not 3/6.
>>
File: 1475337018961.jpg (21KB, 249x380px) Image search: [Google]
1475337018961.jpg
21KB, 249x380px
>>50381712
>Only 2 small races
>I can't change the book which is built for a specific setting's common race assumptions
>How do I shot web
>>
File: sweating pepe.png (103KB, 246x232px) Image search: [Google]
sweating pepe.png
103KB, 246x232px
> Curse of Strahd
> My party just visited Amber Temple and received a gift from Dark Powers
> It allows them to resurrect a creature whose body part they have.
> No ifs and buts, it doesn't matter how long ago it died, it's brought back.
> The party remembers a curious sight they saw in Castle Ravenloft.
> A skull of Strahd's sworn enemy that he keeps as a trophy
> A skull of Argynvost, a mighty silver dragon.
>>
>>50381795
jackpot
>>
>>50381795
Let it happen.
>>
>>50381795
This campaign is so dicking good.

I have the opportunity to play it online with a group of friends (we're pretty far apart) but I'm worried about online play killing the atmosphere.
Is it reasonable? Should I wait until we're all physically around a table?
>>
>>50381795
Awesome. Definitely don't make easy for them to get to the skull but if they get to it and use this power it should be allowed to revive the Dragon.
>>
>>50378631
>>50379560
GWM is less effective the more average damage you do. It provides you with a potential bonus attack and the option to deal more damage by decreasing your hit chance (hit chance effectively multiplies your overall damage, meaning an attack that deals 100 damage but only has a 10% chance to hit will only average 10 damage. As such, decreasing hit chance has a bigger effect on more damaging attacks, such as a paladin with their +1d8 from improved divine smite or the potential damage increase from GWF.)

PAM provides you with a bonus attack and a reaction attack. More attacks not only means you deal the improved divine smite damage more times, but also gives more chances for you to crit, which gives you more chances to pop a smite for critical smite damage (double smite dice). .. Fighters don't bonus too often either, but I think they have more bonus actions that matter, depending on things.

Fighters like GWM because they deal less damage per hit but hit more, starting at level 2 where they can even use 'action surge'. It intensifies at level 11 with extra attack (2).
Paladins like PAM because they deal more damage per hit but hit less, and more hits mean more chances to smite, starting at level 2. This intensifies at level 11, obviously.

>>50379198
Go AT and get find familiar instead, and you'll do the same thing but better.
>>
File: the fuck am i seeing.jpg (261KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck am i seeing.jpg
261KB, 1600x1200px
>>50381795
I would have brought back Sergei instead. His tomb is even conveniently placed in the castle and marked as such.
I mean, imagine Strahd's face when. It would probably look like picrelated.
>>
>>50381795
>party resurrected Argynvost
>who comes back as a dracolich
>kills the party

Trusting the Dark Powers not to fuck you over, seriously?
>>
File: 1473807743042.jpg (416KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1473807743042.jpg
416KB, 700x1000px
>tfw you struggle to find good non-elf Glamour Bard avatars
Will take human, Dwarf and Tiefling avatars if anyone can suggest one.
Have a rare pepe in return.

On topic: How do ye feel about heavy roleplaying? like for a character to be borderline annoying due to some eccentricity (but not frustrating like starting fights while the party face is talking us out of a problem)
Do you think it adds charm? or is too easily overdone? Because there's a lot of that in my current campaign and I'm not sure how its going to go over, I'm used to max 1 very unusual and thoroughly roleplayed character
>>
>>50381896
Could you be more specific in both your questions/requests ?
>>
>>50381886
>Dark Powers not also wanting to fuck over Strahd
>>
>>50377253
Have you even read the gods' entries? Like, all of them? Sometimes it's a history of their faith, sometimes it's how the worshippers act and not even what that god represents.
I just want a simple line detailing what their portfolio entails, not having to dig through prose or in addition to prose, you fucker.
>>
Clarification on two-weapon fighting? You only get an attack as a bonus action if you dual-wield? Ever?
>>
>>50381795

Hey, my party just reached the Amber Temple yesterday. We've got that one dusk elf with us who wants the power you describe. I'm inclined to let him have it. Honestly, raising Argynvost to fight for us seems a bit cheap (especially consider the toy we get in the temple).

I'm not sure which of the dark gifts I want, if any. None of them really help me out. The party's gonna want some (one already took the raise dead one).
>>
>>50381937
Just look on a wiki, ffs.
>>
>>50381909
With the new Glamour bard school inspired by the fey I'd like a handful of avatars that suit the theme for a roll20 backup character (party of 6 which immediately means DM is gonna start killing people its just his style)

For the question, well, we currently have a Dwarf who is just the dorfiest thing every complete with a danish accent and a dragonborn who is just.. intense in dialog, the guy is actually acting quite impressively, and I'm worried if I add a glamour bard in who speaks cryptically, quoting poetry and speaking in verse etc (similar to a Shakespearean fool) that the personalities in the party will become very crowded.
>>
>>50381972

I'm not sure where you come from, but around these parts, we call them "images."
>>
File: NecromancyDoneWell.png (796KB, 1912x4838px) Image search: [Google]
NecromancyDoneWell.png
796KB, 1912x4838px
QUESTION /tg/

I don't really want to use roll20, it's too cumbersome for my taste.
Is there any online tool that allows u to
- draw freely
- import an image as background
- let other users draw on it
- manage permissions

?
>>
>>50381960
Even better I have the Faiths & Avatars line, including Faiths & Pantheons. How hard would it've been to include a simple line. That's a missed chance right there.
>>
>>50381795
Pretty good mate. But you'll probably be forced to see Strahd bitchslap Argynvost again into the ground.
>>
>>50382006
>u
>Scoffs secretly
>>
>>50382052

I have doubts that Strahd could take an adult silver dragon.
>>
>>50381972
How many players in the party? If you're 5 players I think it's fine to have 1 last odd piece. It's a pretty hard role you'd have to play though, so it's more "on you" to not be annoying while doing it.
Less is more, that sort of thing.

Also, your party seems interesting. I'd like to play with it, or at least spectate it.
>>
>>50382006
I couldn't be assed to read that whole pic.
>>
>>50381795
>players get an item that can do a spell that is more powerful than a level 9 spell if you ignore the 'needs a body part' restriction
>being surprised that this could cause problems in any way
>>
>>50382006
>u
>>
>>50381501
anyone?
>>
Does comprehend languages work on druidic? I feel like it shouldn't but have no justification on why I should tell my players no.
>>
>>50382142
Of course it does, jackass.
>>
Is Clone + Finger of Death the correct way to non-evil Zombie Army?

How about Clone + Awaken?
>>
>>50382061
Well, his armies did. Unsure if Strahd played a direct hand in that conflict or not though.
>>
>>50381795
I'd say Adult Silver Dragon. Combine with Revenant Army and you can have the Order of the Silver Dragon siege the castle and fight Strahd's army while the players sneak into Ravenloft
>>
>>50381949
If you are wielding two one handed light weapons (the light property restriction can be bypassed by the dual wielding feat), one weapon in each hand, you can make a weapon attack with your off hand weapon as a bonus action. This off hand attack has the same bonus to the attack roll as your main hand, but you don't add your str/dex modifier to the damage rolls unless you have the two weapon fighting style class feature from the fighter or ranger class. It's explained quite well in the PHB.
>>
>>50382052
Strahd doesn't have a gigantic army this time, and has an additional enemies in the form of the high level party. I think Argynvost is going to be fine.
>>
>>50382199
Like that scene in Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>50382201
Just seems kind of pointless if you have any Extra Attacks later on.
>>
>>50382241
It kind of is. Dual wielding is better for classes that don't get an extra attack.
>>
>>50382203
>Strahd doesn't have a gigantic army this time
wolves, dire wolves, werewolves, were strahd zombies, berserkers, vistani, bats, spies (see page 29), druids, blights, scarecrows, wights, barovian witches, shadows

It might not be a regular army made of soldiers and steel, but it's... definitely a lot of people.
>>
>>50382149
Well if it does work would it be equally as dickish for the druids to be extremely offended, even hostile if the, clearly not a druid, bard just starts speaking it?
>>
>>50382250
Then why do Rangers... y'know what, Rangers in 5e are kind of shit, anyway, so nevermind.
>>
>>50381983
its to be made into the character avatar for the roll20 campaign, yano to put on the tokens etc, although desu some images would be cool anyway to add to the folder
>>
>>50382280
Yes
>>
>>50382201
That's slightly wrong.

You have to take the ATTACK ACTION in order to make that other attack as a bonus action.

This is a big deal, because it makes two-weapon-fighting even more worthless when you realize you can't use it alongside all sorts of other attacks that use actions.
>>
>>50381724
>>50381767
http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/what-is-dd/races

There are only 6 on the website.
>Humans
>Elves
>Dwarves
>Halflings
>Gnomes
>Half-Orcs

If those aren't considered the Core 6, why are they the ones spotlighted on the website?
>>
>>50382333
>why is free online
>less than paid in book
Maybe you should go think about what you did.
>>
>>50382292

Yeah, no. No one calls them avatars. No one with any decency anyway.
>>
>>50382084
Yeah I expect I'll be over the top and make an impression when I first introduce the character and other than that make it an occasional thing, atm I'm the party face with me and the dragonborn driving the story, so in the event that my current char dies He'll just continue driving the story and I can leave that roll and sit back a little.
It probably wouldnt be great to spectate we're still ironing kinks out for party gelling, also our DM can subject us to 10-15 minutes of "You walk through the forest and come across a tree" without warning.

In our last Stars without Number campaign we spent probably 40 minutes just going to the bank it was disgusting.
>>
>>50382333
>dwarves aren't small
>5E's SRD only has 1 of 3 archetypes
>surprised it doesn't have all of the core races, too
>>
>>50381713
https://shopsatan.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-satanic-children-s-big-book-of-activities
>>
>>50382393
That looks gay.
>>
>>50382346
>>50382387
Dwarves are literally dwarves.

That doesn't explain why, instead of illustrating the breadth of races available, they have 3 flavors of shorties.
>>
>>50382442
Remove gnomes
>>
>>50378247
consequences. my players often get in situations where they can steal or murder to get there way... but there's always a consequence. someone sees, the guards are in higher watch, the king becomes paranoid, certain gods send people after them, etc. nothing that says "don't do this." stick to natural consequences
>>
>>50382442
i fail to see why it's such an issue
>>
>>50382209
?
>>
>>50382442
Because other core races are typically non-player characters such as non-half orcs, kobolds, goblins, whatever.
If you want those, some are in volo's guide to monsters.
Some of those are small anyway, too, such as kobolds.
Oversized characters are unlikely to be player characters either but goliath and dragonborn are both a bit bigger.

I don't know, they illustrated a pretty decent breadth there. They could have not put in gnomes or halflings and put in either tiefling or dragonborn instead, but both tiefling and dragonborn aren't very standard fantasy.
>>
File: Aragorn-Dead_army.jpg (384KB, 855x701px) Image search: [Google]
Aragorn-Dead_army.jpg
384KB, 855x701px
>>50382486
>>
>>50382279

Stradh *is* Barovia. He is the Fischer King

Just start summoning Krakatoas.
>>
>>50382468
I'm just struggling to cram core races into my setting instead of just going with my preferred fantasy races because those fantasy races are treated as monstrous races or NPC races like in >>50382513.

I've got humans, elves, and gnomes, and orcs are an NPC race. I don't see why I would shove in halflings or dwarves if I already have gnomes and can just take some of their traits as elements of gnomes from different cultures or nations.

But that means I'm lacking two of the core, and there are no half-races in this setting which is another two of the standard core that are missing. I'm very tempted to fill in the holes with kobolds, centaurs, minotaurs, and harpies.
>>
File: Remove Gnome.jpg (24KB, 300x323px) Image search: [Google]
Remove Gnome.jpg
24KB, 300x323px
>>50382458
Gnome genocide best day of my life.
>>
>>50382302
So a forbidden language that is to be never taught to non druids, and some rando first level spellcaster can just know it because he spent 10 minutes in a ritual, and none of the druid npc leaders care that their faith and devotion to this secret language is being undermined?
>>
>>50382576
Yes. It's magic.
>>
File: fb_img_1447023957580.jpg (41KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
fb_img_1447023957580.jpg
41KB, 500x625px
Reminder that Gnomes are anime as fuck
>>
>>50382576
Druid can be learned with the linguist feat, dude. Not a big dealio
>>
File: druidic.png (27KB, 308x123px) Image search: [Google]
druidic.png
27KB, 308x123px
>>50382576
man if it really, really bothers you, maybe in your setting the druids have taken measures to safeguard their precious little languages

But honestly in my mind the secret around Druidic is not about being a "secret language". It's about being able to recognize "hey, there is a message".
Being able to read little things that would seem very normal, natural, chaotic... to recognize a pattern, a special, complex order that actually conveys a message.
That's how I read it though.

And obviously face to face you may also use it as a normal language.
>>
>>50382618
Can't you also just use training and money to teach yourself more stuff?
>>
>>50382654
Yes
>>
>>50382647
>>50382576
This basically. Druid is like pagan hobo signs.
>>
>>50382280
>bard

Of course not. It's a bard

Bards are awesome. They're like the Golden Retriever of people.

Besides, the College of Fochulcan is the very first college all bards attend to, and it's surrounded by fey and nature and shit.

They can hang out and talk druidic and shit about how awesome it is to cast Speak With Animals and Awaken
>>
>>50382563
I don't see your point. Those 3 races fill very different roles in the world. Gnomes are crafty and clever, with a penchant for magic and illusion. Halflings are a sneaky, light-hearted and joyful people. Dwarves are stoic, boisterous and hardy.
>>
>>50382647
>Hey, Party! It's a message from my fellow druids!
>...that's just shit smeared on a wall.
>Yes, and it says that orcs are approaching the town of Elmwood from the north! They'll arrive within the week!
>>
>>50382821
>when you're good enough to spot and interpret Druid Signs but not good enough to tell when they're so old as to no longer be relevant
>>
People dislike the 15,15,15,8,8,8 array for point buy. What do people think of 15, 15, 14, 10, 8, 8?
Also known as the half-elf special.
>>
Can't wait for finals and such to die down and get started on a new campaign. Characters more or less all made, and just gotta let shit get out of the way before I start running.

>Variant Human Spellslinger (homebrew class that is a fusion of bard and warlock based around shooting magic out of a gun and being an operator operating operationally)
>Human Rogue planning on Assassin and sniping with a hunting rifle.
>Different Variant Human Paladin
>Half-Elf Shaman, Speaker of Waters.

Almost confused at how balanced of a party we ended up with, since I'm used to a lot more... erratic party composition. Last one was Swashbuckler, Arcane Trickster, Magitech Fighter. And a wandering Life Cleric that was off-and-on there.
>>
>>50382563
Why are two races (humans and half-orcs) so fucking tall, you mean. Most Elves are about as tall as Dwarves, and it's only in later editions that you wind up with any Elves that can be as tall or taller than humans. They're shortstacks, too. It's fucking humans who are abnormal.
>>
>>50382407

Have a bible
>>
>>50382901

Just use the standard array.
>>
>>50382563
So just use the races from Volo's or EE and stop whining?
>>
File: 1474768821973.jpg (326KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474768821973.jpg
326KB, 1920x1080px
Does taking the duelist fighting style pretty much make versatile weapons worthless?
>>
>>50382901
I'm a new DM with during my very first campaign, I have my characters roll the 6 stats and write them down, then I show them the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and have them pick either the roll stats or the standard, this way if they roll shit they can pick standard and if they roll good they can stick with it.

The reason I'm giving them such an advantage is because we're all new and I'm running the tyranny of dragons module and I find that the first couple of episodes are a bit difficult on new players.

I didn't really like the point buy system, personally I prefer rolling, 'cause you could get lucky and start with more than 15 or less than 8 in some stats, assuming your players can rp accordingly, makes for fun sessions.
>>
>>50383010
I always wondered, can you not add the +2 when they use two hands to attack? Up until now I've allowed it in my campaigns but I feel like they shouldn't add it.
>>
Anyone here play a Light/Tempest Cleric extensively?

Playing a Cleric, trying to decide between the two. Not really interested in other kinds of Clerics.

For Tempest, I'd go variant Half-Elf to pick up Booming Blade. Incredibly thematic and will help with my lackluster melee damage; it's a free +1d8 at level 5 with an additional 2d8 if the enemy is dumb enough to run away. Variant Human for magic initiate is an option too but then I miss out on darkvisions/better stats/fey ancestry and instead gain another cantrip and Find Familiar or something.

For Light, I dunno what I'd do. Wood Elf probably, use a Shortsword and shield when I have to melee? maybe use a Longbow for the time were it'll outdamage Sacred Flame? Or, Hill Dorf for +hp and some weapon proficiencies. Variant Human is also a really good option now that I think of it, Magic Initiate Druid for Shilelegh? Or just take Medium Armor Master and enjoy +1ac and good stealth, or something else I dunno.

Light/Tempest seem like a great blend of Cleric support with some blasty shit, which I always like. We don't have a Wiz/Sorc so me and the Bard are the only real magic users (ranger too but you know, he's a ranger soo)

>>50383010
It makes using them in two hands pointless. What's better; the chance at 1-2 more damage, or guaranteed +2 damage and +2 ac? Rhetorical question, really

>>50383032
Uh the text of Dueling specifically says "when they wield a weapon in one hand"..
>>
>>50383032

RAW, Duelist only adds +2 to damage when you're only holding a single one-handed weapon.

In order to make versatile weapons viable compared to the other options, I let players combine the 4e / 5e versatile rules -- two-handing the weapon gives you the higher damage die and a static +1 damage.
>>
>>50383057
Look at this guy he's playing Cleric and not playing a Dwarf

Look at him and laugh
>>
>>50383057
>>50383063
I guess it could be good for a fighter (pirate or sailor) build, for a high seas campaign, they can use scimitars, rapiers, cutlasses and sabers.
>>
>>50383057
Tempest is cool as hell, you get a bunch of aoes and martial weapons, if you decide to go dwarf your DM might be kind to throw in the dwarven thrower from the DMG at some point during the campaign. You're basically Thor, also, late game you get a flying speed.
>>
>>50383091
Duelist is a very good fighting style early on. Most campaigns are focused on 3rd to 5th level, where it's still pretty good.

I feel like a lot of people don't understand you can use it with a shield, just like the Defensive Duelist feat.
>>
>>50383063
+1 damage is essentially going 1d10 to 1d12 except that it doesn't add +1 to crits.

Not actually bad, considering the only reason you'd ever need to use a 1d12 weapon is because you've got two/three extra dice on a critical and boosted critical chance combined.
>>
>>50383123
Yeah I think they emphasized in the errata that shields don't count of weapons.
>>
>>50383077
It's definitely a great option for Light, but I see no reason to play a Tempest dorf over a half elf or v human tempest

Booming blade is going to be a pretty big deal. Lock down an enemy +completely free additional damage. It's also completely stat-free.
>>
File: dftc.png (280KB, 543x407px) Image search: [Google]
dftc.png
280KB, 543x407px
hello yes i am a wotc writer working on ~VOLO'S 2~ and looking for some community input on sweet racial abilities for the following races:

skeletons
zombies
wolfmen (they are werewolf-formed guys who turn into wolves, not humans!)
real nigga orcs
devils
imps
gnolls

thank you in advance and your checks will be in the mail
>>
>>50383057
Tempest relies a bit on your DM giving you magical items.

The level 2 ability doesn't work awfully well with anything you specifically get. You get stuff like destructive wave, but only half of that damage is boostable.

Lightningbolt strike works with barely anything you get to positive effect. Say, something like 'call lightning' might get a bit of use from it.

However, both of those are fully compatible with magical items that deal lightning or thunder damage.

Do consider forge cleric dwarf, though.

Hill dwarf is brilliant for cleric, because they don't need any strength at all for heavy armour and can put that stat in dex or something more important.
>>
>>50383010
i guess a versatile weapon at a D10 plus +2 damage from duelist would be too competitive with actual 2H weapons
>>
>>50383166
Imps are dumb, they're more familiar material, rather than playable race, also, you should add succubi and incubi as a sub race for the devil's.

I'll email you my fees.
>>
What are the do's and don'ts of a pirate campaign?
>>
What's your opinion on storm Sorcerer? I know sorcerers in general aren't good, but I feel a lot of they're abilities are fluff for seas campaigns, I feel wotc kinda dropped the ball with monk and Sorcerer archetypes.
>>
>>50383213
If you're using Renaissance gunpowder weapons, the loading should take an action. I feel the DMG stats for flintlock doing d10 is kinda OP to be used each turn.
>>
Is WotC producing a lot of playtest material because of newly hired employees, or it is just an unusual outburst?
>>
File: falconer.jpg (30KB, 564x797px) Image search: [Google]
falconer.jpg
30KB, 564x797px
aight /tg/ name my blood hawk
>>
>>50383184
>too competitive with actual 2H weapons

>deals 0.33 less average damage than 2d6 weapon with GWF and doesn't allow you to use powerful feats such as GWM. Not to mention, it's even worse in comparison when you crit.

Versatile weapons suck because they're not finesse.
Dex is a god stat, so Rapier > Longsword any day.
>>
>>50383237
Locheed
>>
tg, solve a debate for me

Bigsby's Hand or Telekinesis. Lore Bard here, can only pick one

>>50383057
>variant Half-Elf to pick up Booming Blade

No. Go Variant Human, Magic Initiate, Booming Blade, another cantrip, and find familiar

You don't need the +2 charisma for shit.

>For Light, I dunno what I'd do

Lots and lots of lovely little fireballs.

Go Protection Asimar for the Wisdom Bonus, Healing Bonus, Damage Bonus and double light cantrip, because you like being thematic
>>
>>50383237
Drippy.
>>
>>50383236
they pulled guys off of Sage Advice to work on UA

guessing they want to do another splat book right quick
>>
>>50383166
>Walrusmen
>Bugmen
>Pandamen
>Treemen
>Horsemen
>Lobstermen
>Bearmen
>Wolverinemen
>Frogmen
>Pigmen
>Rabbitmen
>Monkeymen

>>50383213
>Do's
Follow the Pirate Code

>Don'ts
Follow it too strictly
>>
>>50383249
Can bards get tensers floating disk? Don't have the PHB with me but it can carry alot of wait, not sure you can carry enemies on it though, your dm might allow it.
>>
>>50383249
>find familiar

Be in melee in your full plate and shield having the time of your life, and if someone in the back does a boo boo, you can cure wounds via familiar.
>>
>>50383237
Bloodwing
Bloodwind
Bloodwin
>>
>>50383288
Can familiars cast cure wounds?
>>
>>50383285

strictly Wizard spell

Pretty good for gnomes, as it's excelent cover, and floats higher than them
>>
>>50383213
Kill the famboy in the morning.
>>
>>50383302

No, but they can deliver touch spells you cast through them

I use it all the time for Cure Wounds and such
>>
>>50383302
>Find Familiar (last paragraph)
Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.
>>
>>50383181
>The level 2 ability doesn't work awfully well with anything you specifically get.

What? Maximizing Lightning and Thunder damage doesn't work well? Are you high? at level 6 I'd have two CDs/short rest. That's two maximized Call Lightning strikes, maximized Shatter, Maximized Thunderwave etc.

It's amazing.

>Lightningbolt strike works with barely anything you get to positive effect. Say, something like 'call lightning' might get a bit of use from it.

Again are you high? It works with Wrath of the Storm and a number of spells. Enemy hits you and you do some damage and launch them back 10ft with no save

Forge is pretty OP so I doubt I could use it. Not particularly interesting to me either

>>50383249
the +2 charisma means I'd have 10 cha, which does wonders for my autism. Only neg stat I'd have is INT.

This is a Roll20 campaign so Darkvision is actually fucking huge, dynamic lighting is bullshit for people without it even if I'd have access to Light

I'm actually playing a Protector Aasimar in another campaign otherwise it'd be my choice for Light. As-is vhuman wood elf and hill dorf is all great
>>
>>50383332

I never understood if this meant "cast touch spells" or "cast spells touching"

Like, self target spells should reasonably be able to be cast by a familiar, if touch spells are allowed.

You're telling me I can do awaken, but Alter Self is too much?
>>
File: 1471322975697.jpg (165KB, 719x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1471322975697.jpg
165KB, 719x1100px
>>50383288
>>50383302
nuoh my god I didn't even realize

That makes VHuman a much stronger candidate for Tempest.

What would be a fitting familiar for a Sailor? My Tempest Cleric, if he was Human, would be a salty ol' sea dog with a frazzled beard and an eyepatch (using a glass eye for special occasions), always smelling faintly like sea salt and humming a shantie tune
>>
>>50383363
Yes, you can use the familiar as a 'remote hand' to cast spells on things from far away, you can't cast spells to boost the familiar itself through it
>>
>>50383363
RAW it means cast with a range of "touch".
But yeah you can discuss it with your DM I guess. I'd allow it.

But even if the familiar could alter itself... then what? He still can't attack.
>>
>>50383377
Monkey
>>
>>50383377
Would hawk work? If your dm allows it, maybe a parrot.
>>
>>50383237
Sanguine.
>>
>>50383333
>This is a Roll20 campaign so Darkvision is actually fucking huge

I see.

Well, I'd still consider a Variant Human with Familiar, and just see through your owl's keen senses
>>
>>50383333
Maximizing call lightning gives 3d10 (16.5) -> 30, in a 5ft area around a point.

Maximizing lightning bolt gives 8d6 (28) -> 48, in a long line 5ft wide.

Wrath of the storm is only 2d8.

Chain lightning is 1d08 (45) -> 80 to four targets within 30ft of an initial target.

It works with abilities you get but it has a much better synergy with abilities you don't get.
>>
What type of PC build would be better for a gladiatorial arena champion? Barbarian or Battle Master?
Trying to make him like one of the "heavier" gladiator types like a Secutor or a Murmillo.
>>
>>50383377

Depends on your DM's rulling for familiars. Some variants allow up to any tiny creature as familiar.

This opens you up to lots of options, including a sprite first mate, or a Gazer which you found in a sunken temple far away

King of CR 0 familiars is naturally the Owl, while the Queen is the Cranium Rat. The latter is likely thematic enough

The Crab is also surprisingly powerful, and as always you can get a raven reskinned as a parrot
>>
>>50383235
OP? For real? You can't even attack twice with it unless you take a feat. It's just as good as a heavy crossbow, and I guess gunpowder based weapons should do more damage than crossbows, right?

>>50383213
Definitely check the Waterborne UA.
>>
>>50383459
I guess, it's just that I want gunpowder in my campaign to be rare, don't want my PC's to use them alot, I allowed them to stick bayonets on their muskets and use spear stats for melee attack, I guess I could increase firearm damage to justify the action for reload, also, I allow them to carry more than one flintlock if they want, incase they don't want to keep reloading they can just fire different ones.
>>
>>50383431
>It works with abilities you get but it has a much better synergy with abilities you don't get.

And? It's still really good.

And I'll take Call Lightning, 3d10 damage to everything in a 5ft radius, that lasts for like a minute and can be repeatedly used again and again over a combat, over 8d6 damage on a 5ft line.

When are enemies ever going to line themselves up to were you're hitting more than one with Lightning Bolt? It'd take some real finagling.

Chain Lightning is a major missed opportunity but let's be real, how many campaigns get to the point where you could even use it? Mine's starting at 1.
>>
>>50383377
>That makes VHuman a much stronger candidate for Tempest.

Yeah. Take Booming Blade, Find Familiar, and Light, because fuck Drift Globes I guess, and you're good to go
>>
>>50383548
Would daylight activate the sunlight sensitivity ability of underdark creatures?
>>
>>50383445
Champion.
>>
>>50383499
I think taking an action to reload is too much, unless the flintlock has multiple shots. If they can only fire once and them have to waste an action reloading, it's way too impractical. Though I can see the PCs having multiple flintlocks strapped, firing one after the other, that's cool. But then consider a fighter. They get 2 attacks at level 5 and 3 at level 11 (even more if they get Hasted or take crossbow expert, which you reworked for your campaign, right?), so a fighter would fire a bunch of flintlocks... then sit on his ass reloading for the remainder of the encounter. Doesn't sound like fun.

If you want it to be rare, well, then it's rare. They'll have to be careful with their shots, since they'll never know when they'll be able to acquire more bullets.
>>
>>50383583
No. Only things that specify they create sunlight affect those creatures. Spells like sunbeam, sunburst, or an item like the Sun Blade. As you can see, the names kind of give it away.
>>
>>50383597
>If you want it to be rare, well, then it's rare. They'll have to be careful with their shots, since they'll never know when they'll be able to acquire more bullets.
Exactly this, I don't want them to rely heavily on firearms, I do allow them to craft bullets using either tinker's tools or blacksmiths tools, I want them to use their melee weapons more, it's just more realistic not to rely heavily on firearms, but I guess I should buff their damage.
>>
>>50382006
I had to stop at the second post, because scientists found that butterflies DO retain memories from being a caterpillar, despite their entire bodies melting down and reforming into something else. I didn't read the rest yet, but this bothered me.
>>
>>50383077
Not that Anon, but I just can't get into dwarves. I always end up with human concepts instead where most people use dwarves.
>>
>>50382815
They're still midgets. 3 midgets. With only superficial differences.
>>
>>50383716
Not by the rules. Dwarves are still medium, so screw you. Expand your mind, or you'll always be a loser.
>>
>>50383595
Really? I would've thought Rages or Combat Maneuvers would have helped make him a crowd-pleaser, which is part of the point of a gladiatorial arena.
What makes a Champion surpass em to fit a Gladiator?
>>
File: 2 headed monster.jpg (91KB, 769x1009px) Image search: [Google]
2 headed monster.jpg
91KB, 769x1009px
>have some extra money for once for the holidays
>looking at the art of Boris Vallejo

How much less would /tg/ think of me if I bought a print or two? Cause jesus that stuff is sexy as fuck
>>
>>50383746
Don't listen to him. Go battlemaster.
People wanna see sick maneuvers for show, not maybe seeing a crit
>>
>>50383746
I think battle master would be great for a gladiatorial combat, but I can see why he's recommend champion, you get to choose 2 fighting styles instead of one, which I guess is good, since gladiators are usually proficient with lots of weapons.

But battle master is better overall, like >>50383756 said, people wanna see more cool shit in an arena.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>50383766
>>50383766
>>50383766
>>
>>50383746
honestly, what you should do is homebrew a gladiator either background or archetype, the background will be much easier though. I'm putting together a gladiator background for my homebrew world at the very least. I don't think the variant entertainer: gladiator works too well.
>>
>>50382563
Here's the thing, why don't you?

It's a game of imagination, and you're playing in your homebrew setting, so why don't you say "these are the races most commonly found on this plane/in this area" Maybe with some idea of what your players want first.

Nothing in the rulebook says you have to use the core races and that they have to be present in ever setting. If you don't like some of them, or you feel like they don't fit your homebrew, change them or skip them, it's not that hard.

DnD isn't WoW - you can change the world in literally any way you like.
>>
>>50383716
Again, what's your point? If all their fluff and racial features aren't enough to differentiate them, what's the difference between the "not-midget" races? Humans, elves, tieflings, half-orcs... they're all just tall people, with superficial differences.
>>
>>50383767
base fighter is proficient with every weapon
fighting style is something else
>>
>>50380596

It would be cool if you could play it like the FE class Heroes. I always thought it was cool when they drew their swords from their shields.
>>
>>50383823
I didn't mean proficient in the dnd sense, I meant it in the literal sense, meaning they have experience with them, but whatever.
>>
>>50383249

Bigby's Hand, for sure. I just think it's more versatile. It's one of my favorite spells my wizard had.
>>
>>50383181

>but only half of that damage is boostable.

Only half of that damage really needs to be boosted. and it's a really, really, strong spell. Half of it being boosted means it hits at least as hard as a fireball boosted with a way better targeting system and range. Tempest Clerics are also great if you can grab Booming Blade. That's a decent amount of damage every turn when you're not using spells.
>>
>>50383237
Sir Redfluffypuff
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.