[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 56

File: falcon.jpg (119KB, 736x1041px) Image search: [Google]
falcon.jpg
119KB, 736x1041px
>Latest News
-NEW Unearthed Arcana: Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>>50357567

>Topic
How do YOU play your Ranger ?
>>
>>50365553
>How do YOU play your Ranger ?

Amish Avenger
>>
Is Greyhawk an easy setting to get into?
>>
>>50359615
>>undead female art
>>most have skin and moderately-toned abs
>ugh
Are you looking for a character portrait? If you give me some details I could draw you something.
>>
File: Gohn2.jpg (88KB, 759x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Gohn2.jpg
88KB, 759x1052px
Gohn "the Wise" Bakerson is a 52 years old human, self-appointed wandering Cleric of Oghma and forever cursed with an unquenchable curiosity (or so they say). Born eleventh, he was sent to the nearest Chauntea church never to be heard from again, and decided on his 14th birthday to leave the boredom of pearl-clutching ignorance behind.

On his travels, he befriended an elven druid without a name who taught him secrets innumerable. 30 years went by in the turn of a scribbled page, in the blink of an eager eye. For the last lesson, you see, was that boredom is the short-lived's ticking clock - and the fey people have little grasp of the concept.

Bitterness should have consumed him, but Oghma works in different ways. Faith is a shield we turn inward. Enlightened to a self-abnegating purpose, for the first time he stepped on a path larger than his feet. And if he could find a back door to youth along the way, all the better.

What spells should I prepare considering he's 3rd level Knowledge Cleric? I'm thinking:
> [Domain] Command & Identify(R) & Augury(R) & Suggestion
> [1st Level] Bless & Detect Magic(R) & Healing Word & Sanctuary
> [2nd Level] Spells: Silence(R) & Spiritual Weapon
>>
>>50365553
Stout Halfling Beastmaster Ranger, riding a Giant Wolf Spider, with a Hand crossbow and Crossbow expert/Sharpooter
>>
File: 25.jpg (158KB, 1006x559px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
158KB, 1006x559px
>>50365643
better?
>>
I just noticed something called Fantasy Grounds on sale for Autumn Steam Sale. Is it worth the money if i already have the whole trove?
>>
File: PRWF_United_We_ROAR!.jpg (584KB, 2002x1539px) Image search: [Google]
PRWF_United_We_ROAR!.jpg
584KB, 2002x1539px
Does anyone use animal motifs or themes for there characters? Pic related...No furries allowed!
>>
Full version of Mystic WHEN
>>
K

I am true neutral, everyone says I'm evi/chaotic neutral

>picks up on a BBEG trying to sell slaves subtley and foil his plan

>encounter halflings chained up in encampment after we killed the orcs
>wizard is exhausted, says fuck it and leaves them alone

>give my gold ore I found to the barb so he can buy platemail

>always create illusions in combat to shield / help allies

>recently figured out how to summon lesser demons
>party member dies, used his blood to summon demons and live
>create major image funeral and bury him
>I do however pocket the gold
>>
I heard that barbarians aren't as good as they should be. Anyone knows how to fix them/has a link to something homebrew that makes them viable? I plan on playing a hilariously sturdy con 20 barbarian sometime soon.
>>
>>50365744
Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop solution like Roll20. Unlike Roll20 you need to pay for a license or get a subscription to use it at all, and its features aren't even that good.

Skip this one, anon.
>>
>>50365781
>I heard that barbarians aren't as good as they should be.
You heard wrong.
>>
>>50365781

Barbarians are fine honestly. Their only real issue is the bear totem overshadows every other option you could take, and Frenzy is total shit.
>>
>>50365759
It is a mystery.
>>
>>50365786
I was thinking of getting it just for map making but I suppose I could find another. That and 2 grand of dlc just so i can use the crap I already have easier.
>>
>>50365781
Multiclass with either druid or fighter
>>
>>50365810
Its map-making use is minimal, as there's not really support for placing individual items down. You just load images already on your system and it places a grid over them.
>>
File: Mountaintop Observatory.jpg (761KB, 1900x2640px) Image search: [Google]
Mountaintop Observatory.jpg
761KB, 1900x2640px
>>50365759
Psion classes are awful, and the harbinger of the end of a good edition.
>>
>>50365847
that's dnd baby
>>
>>50365847
Psions are great.
>>
>>50365846
What about buying it as a one time thing rather than going the sub route?
>>
>>50365767
bump
>>
>>50365711
Yes, but with tits
>>
>>50365553
>How do YOU play your Ranger?
Only ever played one once, as part of an Evil campaign.

He was the son of a farmer who suffered from severe social anxiety. One day, while gathering firewood in the forrest, his town was attacked and wiped out. There was a fierce war at the time, and it was apparent some rogue enemy platoon had stopped by to restock.

He returned to find his family dead, their livestock stolen, and every object of value pillaged. The entire community was killed and had their goods plundered. Being a week away from anywhere else by foot, and with it being the middle of winter, he took to hunting to survive while he buried everyone and grieved. By Spring traders came to the town, with the war dying down and allowing safe travel again, to find it deserted.

He attacked them in a panic, thinking them to be more raiders, and slew one of their guards with his bow before retreating into the woods. Over the years many attempts were made to apprehend him for this murder and suspicion of his involvement in whatever massacre transpired, but he either evaded them or killed his hunters - and the growth of his reputation from this led to stronger and more stronger ones chasing the ever increasing bounty on his head.

His paranoia, PTSD, and anxiety only worsened - and one day he was finally caught during an episode that left him unprotected. It was in the transport to the city to face trial that he met the rest of the party, before they staged their escape.
>>
What is a good Light/Dark, Sun/Moon concept for an encounter?
Doesn't have to be a fight.
>>
>>50365957
In the end the campaign ran for about nine months, ending with our party around level 16. My Ranger dedicated himself to getting revenge on the nation that slew his family, and to that end assassinated the general of it during peacetalks between them and his own country (without being identified, thankfully) as part of a mission given to the party to disrupt them. This led to a second war, which they lost - much to my Ranger's further delight.

Much later, after the party started to go on the straight and narrow by shifting towards varying types of Neutral, they ended up slaying an Ancient Black Dragon which threatened the country - and winning widespread acclaim as a result. They were pardoned of all previous offences, and offered any reward they would ask for. My archer chose access to the Royal Library, hoping to investigate the troop movements of the enemy around his county during the war to be fully sure the men responsible for his hometown's massacre were dead.

Instead, he found that the royal army had instituted a policy of pillaging during that winter due to a lack of supplies. They chose small, isolated towns near the front of the war and personally slaughtered them before stealing every usable resource they could before attributing it to the enemy once word of the massacre got out - all to support the war effort.

So, when the party reconvened to receive their medals from the king, he grabbed him by the throat and plunged a poisoned dagger in his chest before gutting him with it. He died laughing like a maniac, drenched in royal blood, as the guards cut him down and the rest of the party fought on.

The other players weren't even mad that it let to a TPK, we'd already agreed for that to be our last session since we'd reached a comfortable ending to the story, and they all loved what a huge "oh shit" moment it was.

It was a pretty fun campaign overall.
>>
File: come-get-the-phb.gif (156KB, 540x281px) Image search: [Google]
come-get-the-phb.gif
156KB, 540x281px
>>50365925
That still doesn't make it useful as a map-making tool, or as a VTT.

The standard version ($30, or $4/mo) lets you play and run with people that also have the standard version. That means that every play involved needs to have paid $30 or be paying $4/mo. It takes 7 months for this purchase to be better than subbing.

The ultimate version ($150, or $10/mo) lets you run for people that only have the demo version downloaded. It's the way better deal for a sub, taking over a year for the permanent license to be a better deal than the sub, and you can hit the sub levels easy if your players chip in $2/mo each, just half the normal sub price.

Plus you have to learn its unintuitive interface, make your own maps, pay extra for any FG modules you want to use, and so on.

Fantasy Grounds is fucked.
>>
>>50365973
Maybe a puzzle where certain elements are only visible in the darkness, while others require light, so that to get the full picture and solve it you have to note both?
>>
>>50365957
>>50365977
I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing

>>50365973
You're this guy aren't you >>50357421
>>
>>50365973
A hallway with a long pit running down the length with spikes at the bottom. The room must be plunged into darkness andthe players must "Trust" and try to cross for the bridge to appear.
>>
>>50365973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI
>>
>>50365583
greyhawk should be easy, considering it was essentially the default setting for a long time before forgotten realms pushed it aside
>>
>>50366154
Forgotten Realms was a mistake.
>>
>>50365951
Tits but no skin? That is an extremely narrow window of decomposition, Anon.
>>
File: Magic Schools Symbols.jpg (146KB, 584x767px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Schools Symbols.jpg
146KB, 584x767px
>>50366031
That doesn't help much.

>>50366024
I already have a tunnel with a trap at the beginning of the adventure, kinda redundant I feel

>>50366012
yes

>>50366011
That could work. Do you have any specifics? I'm honestly exhausted so I have trouble filling in the blanks at the moment
>>
Got any skeleton player character homebrew?
>>
>>50365583
>>50366154
It's not easy, though. A lot of it makes little or no sense because it just existed in the minds of Gary Gygax and his goofy friends. There are two guides to the setting, Greyhawk Adventures and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, both very hard to find. And if you manage to track it down, you'll find very little except a couple of dungeons that have long since been adapted to every other setting.
>>
>>50365767
>>50365936
thoughts?
>>
>>50365995
Final line of questioning then, is roll20 worth the money and if so can I lump sum it instead of subscription.
>>
>>50366356

I've used Roll20 for a while now and haven't spent a cent on it.
>>
>>50365767
Allies and loved ones don't really count as other people for the purpose of earning "goodness points." So far you've described a few neutral actions, no good ones, and a couple of extremely evil ones. That says evil to me.
>>
>>50366368
roll20 works fine without spending any money on it at all, though some of the paid features are nice none of them are gamechanging
>>
>>50365973
>invisible critters that are repelled by light- the players must cross a field/dungeon/whatever that is extremely dark with a few light spots- watchtowers, maybe switches to open a gate that have torches lit near them, stations to monitor a dam. The critters will follow and attack the players when they're crossing in the dark (handheld torches won't provide enough light) so they're gonna freak out every time they need to cross again.

>six braziers, burning with flames of different colors (rainbow). The braziers have jars of powder that cause the colorful flames when ignited. A final brazier sits in front of a gem. The goal is to put all the powders in the final brazier to get a white flame, which the gem sees and opens a door. Or, if the players have another source of white light (sunlight spell, I guess) the door would open. Once it's open, go ahead and let them steal the gem, why the hell not.

>the party's shadows are attacked by other shadows, not cast by anything in the room with them. The members take damage when their shadows do, and when they swing and their shadow makes contact with an enemy shadow, it seems to do damage. Ideally, your players will get creative with it and do things like make shadow puppet monsters to scare the enemies away, or get closer to the light source to become larger

>A room with several strange abstract sculptures on pedestals. Looking at them, they don't depict anything specific. But when a bright light is shone on them, their shadow takes on a distinctive form. ie A door, which can be interacted with like a real door and leads to a room, etc. Or a person, which brings into being a person- friendly or not. A creature. A weapon. etc

>a big planetarium. go ahead and describe it if you want, golden armatures and large detailed globes, but don't bother keeping track of paths and all that- just ask for dex checks to get across the room without getting knocked over by the mechanisms. Put a fight in here, could be fun.
>>
>>50366356
Roll20 is free to use, but I do think the dynamic lighting ($5/mo) is worth it. And you can put money into the account and have it be paid for over time if budgeting is a problem.
>>
File: Racing wheelchair.jpg (18KB, 347x259px) Image search: [Google]
Racing wheelchair.jpg
18KB, 347x259px
>>50365553
> Have a special background
> Keyword being "special"
> My character is a crippled veteran, and her speed is 15 feet due to it.
> Mules only cost 8 gp and have speed of 40
> Mules were bred specifically for mining, so they will fit into dungeons unlike, say, horses.
> Since I'm a light cleric, I'll never have to go into melee
> mfw

Who else /devilish/ here?
>>
>>50366163
agreed, i fucking hate FR, but i'm stuck playing in it cause thats what adventure league goes into (DM's won't go into anything else around here).

>>50366277
yeah, that is somewhat true, but to me I always treated greyhawk as a sandbox to create your own map with a few pillars already in place like the pantheon and cosmology
>>
Asked this on another thread, but I'm curious about your gauge

Whats your take on getting around the conjure animals CR limit by summoning a dozen Cranium Rats (CR 0) and letting them swarm (CR 5)?
>>
>>50366412
Have fun having your mule be targeted by everything and/or being scared off by combat
>>
>>50365767
fairly neutral, the only really evil action i can see being an issue is the demon summoning, though you might be able to play it off as a "we needed to or the group would have died."
>>
Would it be broken to let Monks at lvl 2 pick a skill from the four : Stealth, Acrobatics, Athletics or Medicine; and then get proficiency and expertise in it?
>>
File: 74336784_fuPEKumD_IMG_2225.jpg (56KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
74336784_fuPEKumD_IMG_2225.jpg
56KB, 400x266px
>>50366412
Sounds like you've successfully minmaxed a character.

Just checking - mules are known for their great obedience and easygoing manner, right? Like, that's the kind of behavior people associate with mules? So you'll never have any kind of difficulty directing its exact movement every turn even when it's in a very stressful situation?That sounds about right.
>>
>>50365973
>>50366410
>the party gets dumped in a room with no exits, but is full of polished crystals in stands. There is a window with bright moonlight shining through. They want to stack the crystals in the right way in front of the moonlight to make a laser and cut their way through the walls. You can ask for int checks on the crystals to determine the order (say there's six of them, each time somebody asks which one they have roll a d6 and assign that crystal a number) and you can leave other hints if you think they'll need it (scorch marks, bisected remains, whatever)

>a large room contains what is basically an electrical circuit, but it has been interrupted by some key components having been moved out of place. The players must find the components and replace them in complete darkness. If the party has darkvision, call for int checks to see if the components fit. If the party has darkvision AND are good with int, put a blind enemy in the room that is stalking them so they have to make stealth checks. Once they replace the components, the light comes on.

>in a chamber, or building, or cavern, deep underground there is a socket containing a huge crystal. Obvious clues show that something is meant to come out of the socket and go to (rooms, important structures like doors, etc) the crystal acts as a battery and must be charged by sunlight. If they take it to the surface and let it sit for an hour or so, it will have enough charge for everything to function until it is thematically appropriate for things not to. To make this more interesting, the charge will run out quickly if not in the socket, and somebody/something does not want them to place it
>>
>>50366551
Turn specialization into a Feat that gives +1 to the Attribute associated with that one skill.
Monks don't NEED specialization in anything, super-skillfulness is the core of the Rogue class, Monks are dripping with special abilities.
>>
>>50366624
meant for >>50366540
>>
Anybody have any good maps or representations of things like the Inner and outer Planes or similar stuff they could share. Thanks.
>>
>>50365973
A room with sun/moon motifs and 5x5ft holes in the ceiling.
Once battle is joined, the sun and moon symbols begin to revolve around the room.
>Round 1: Sun and Moon on walls. Entire room dimly lit.
>Round 2:Moon sinks under floor, Sun on ceiling, holes blaze with light. Entire room brightly lit, anything directly under a hole takes fire damage.
>Round 3: Sun and Moon on walls. Entire room dimly lit.
>Round 4: Sun sinks under floor, moon on ceiling. Entire room dark, except for tiles near holes in ceiling. Dim light in 15ft radius around holes, bright light directly under holes. Anything directly under hole takes cold damage.
>Round 5: Repeat from round 1.
>>
>>50366624
Well i was mainly interested in making them semi-competent mundane healers with Medicine proficiency.
Maybe just let them have that free proficiency and no expertise bogus.
>>
>>50366680
If it's a home game and you're the DM, let all the players have an extra skill, it unbalances nothing.
Tossing around free expertise sorta disenfranchises the Rogue rather badly though.
>>
>>50365973
>>50366576
>a cavern with a door that only opens at a very specific time of day (morrowind)

>panels on the floor displaying the phases of the moon. The party needs to place things on the panels that represent the different phases. Party members, objects, whatever- have them discuss their reasoning and you just determine if you like the reason for that object being that phase or not.

>a dungeon that changes layout at night, so there's a day version and a night version. When it's about to switch all the denizens flee, even if it's in the middle of combat. You could just mirror it horizontally, "invert" it so walls are corridors and corridors are walls, something like that

>a beam of light channeled from the surface strikes a prism, which splits it into colored beams. Six doors on the far wall will open when a color is shone on them, but no matter how careful you are you can really only hit one or two at a time. Inside each door can be a key to open a final door, some piece of something they need, a small extension of the dungeon with treasure, a creature, etc

>the party encounters an enormous goblin, scowling and threatening, until they realize it's only projected on a wall and it starts pleading with them to stop looking for him. When they find him and smash his projection device, he'll run away into a maze of mirrors, beams of light that activate traps when broken, more projected images (like a pitfall that isn't there) and all the while the goblin is harassing them by shining a laser pointer in their eyes
>>
>>50366708
Good point.

I kinda want to go on about making each class have 3 skill proficiencies and each class gaining only 1 extra when MCing.
Would balance things out and make Sorcerrers for example a bit more decent.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (9KB, 206x245px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
9KB, 206x245px
>>50366764
Most of the time you only gain a skill when multiclassing if you're multiclassing into a skill-monkey kind of class like rogue or bard. How would fiddling with that affect the power level of the sorcerer in any way at all? They're already the one primary caster with good Con saves, which is huge.

The main thing you could do for sorcerers that would make sense is to add more spells to their spell list, or even grant them some sorcerer-only spells.
>>
>>50366500
If all you want is a sandbox to put your own stuff in, you don't need a published campaign setting at all. It's not like the Greyhawk pantheon is particularly good.
>>
>>
I'm trying to DM, but I have a problem player.

>Will not shut the fuck up
>always tries to explain the rules, going at length even during combat or mid narrative, even when wrong and will argue extensively
>Whines about railroading
>failing an acrobatic check at 100 feet climbing a building and rolling a 5, I let him live by having his character roll down and hit all sorts of statues and slants on the church, ultimately reducing falling damage I decided.
>whines that I am rigging the game by changing monster stats, either increasing their damage or hp template, or variant abilities I add.
>with +1 to perception checks, 8 wisdom, he is in a dark tunnel, rolls to perception and gets a nat20, I tell him he is confident nothing is there. He then gets sneak attacked by a shadow demon. Dick move I know, but I like to give my players the illusion of control. DC25 sneak check and a 21 to perception fails it.
>most recent:

Goes into a shop. I describe the shop and all the doodads, this includes a 15 gem cloak. He wants the cloak, that's fine. He insists it's magical, leatherworker says it's something he made out of frost wolf pelt and gems, it's normal. Rolls detect magic, it's not. Spend 10 minutes talking about how the fucking cloak is not magical, it's just a fucking cloak with gems on it. "If it's just normal I don't want it".

How do I deal with this guy? He's a know it all, but there are times when he is wrong and will not shut the fuck up.
>>
>>50367021
I don't think there are any ways to help people like that. It might be just easier to kick him out.
>>
>>50367021
There is always the standard DM protocol - talk to him about the problem, then kick him out if he persists. That is what 90% of advice on problem players boils down to.

He sounds like he has three separate problems: metagaming, stalling the game with too much talk, and failing to accept your rulings as DM. Sit him down and go over each one of these three issues one at a time, making sure he understands each one and the consequences if he persists in his behavior.
>>
>>50367021
torture him
Whenever I have a problem play who argues with me or doesn't understand how a DM needs to alter the game I just find their weaknesses and exploit them, making them waste their time or get angry at nothing constantly.
Or you could calmly explain to him that as a DM you need to balance the game for the party at hand and it may not always turn out in his favor.
>>
Ua when?
>>
>>50367021
>rigging the game
Tell him to shut the hell up. RPGs are not a goddamn "us vs him" game like an FPS. The only time it ever approaches that is during the end stages of a dungeon. You cannot rig a fucking game when you're on the same side 90% of the time except to make it more fun for the players as is your damn job.
>>
File: e6b7fb39f94cd276c0cffa20ea23b016.jpg (228KB, 1280x793px) Image search: [Google]
e6b7fb39f94cd276c0cffa20ea23b016.jpg
228KB, 1280x793px
>>50365748
>Does anyone use animal motifs or themes for there characters?
My party and I are in the process of actually doing this (I can post the party animals in another post if anyone is interested).

I picked a hawk but I haven't decided on the class yet...

Would a ranger like OP's image >>50365553 best fit the hawk or would a rogue or fighter best fit the theme?
>>
Is Storm Giant Quintessence the best monster ever ?
>>
File: Nilbog.png (41KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Nilbog.png
41KB, 300x300px
>>50367428
That's a funny way of saying nilbog, anon.
>>
>>50367428

I haven't read up on it, what's so special about it, aside from it being a particularly smart giant?
>>
>>50367436

They're just pretty cool. To avoid death, the storm giant turns into a living storm of some kind and rages around a peak, waiting for their god to come back. If you're fighting one, they coalesce into their normal form to do battle with you.
>>
So I have an honest question about DnD tradition in general: mechanically, what's the actual difference between a wizard and a sorcerer? Sure, spell preparation, but that feels like such a small thing to split into two classes over. I feel like paladins and clerics and fighters and barbarians are very distinct despite some overlap, but wizard and sorcerer really confuses me.
>>
>>50366946
felt better than FR. a few good solid gods instead of the dozens in FR along with their demigods and such
>>
>>50365553
5e bonus action = pf swift action, yeah?
any special distinction i need to keep in mind?
>>
>>50367527
Pretty sure when you get an extra action, you get an extra bonus action in most cases. I know the fighter gets a second bonus action when he gets a second action.
>>
>>50367505
Sorcery is naturally occurring. You happened to be born with the blood of dragons/fey/gods that lets you use magic.

Wizardry is learned. You spent the time reading and studying and practicing to master codified spells.
>>
>>50367575
Fluff wise, sure. But from a design standpoint, what makes them distinct?
>>
>>50367601
mechanically it lets you play a mage with way less fiddly tracking.
>>
>>50367601
Wizards are just better in every way design wise. Like, if you design a wizard for a setting, then to design a sorcerer you just take the wizard and make it worse.
>>
>>50367575
he said mechanically, not lore wise. by the time you play your character, they know their magic whether they were both with it or learned it. so aside from how they acquired it, how are they different to play? is one stronger? why?
>>
>>50367505
Wizards see Magic as a Science, mix the right ingredients together, a pinch of sulphur and bat-guano with the right amount of magical potential energy and you'll detonate a large area in a fireball.

Sorcerers see Magic as an art, it is something you feel, you embrace, you are born with it but natural talent needs practice. You cast a fireball because you simply want something to be on fire enough to make it happen.
>>
>>50367630
>>50367575
Do people not know what "mechanically" means?
>>
>>50367620
wizard is generally mechanically better because spellbook > spells known due to being able to prepare a massive variety of spells

the advantage of a sorcerer is less bookkeeping and the versatility to have the spell so long as you know it and have slots, rather than needing to know youll need it in advance and have had to prepare it.

a sorcerer can feather fall all day so long as he has slots . if the wizard realizes he needed it more than once and only prepared it once, hes fucked the second time around.
>>
>>50367601

In 5E, or in general? In 5E the differences are mostly that sorcerers have fewer spells overall and get metamagic compared to Wizards, but can cast spontaneously. Wizards for their part get a shit ton of spells and larger choice of what to choose from, and have to choose just small slice of their spells each day.
>>
Has anyone ever had a reason to use legend lore? I know it dependant on the DM, but even then, I can't think of a reason to justify learning the spell, using the slot and spending the regents
>>
>>50367451
Its also have a ton of fun mechanics to use as a DM. Become part of the storm and emerge 600 ft away, pelet adventurers with wind javelins from land, air and sea or simply call down lighting on their ass. So much mobility and damage.
>>
>>50367679
That's not how prepared spells work in 5e, pal. A wizard can prepare X number of spells, but any prepared spell can be used as many times as he wants long as the Wizard has slots of the correct level remaining.
>>
>>50367679
wizard is better because bigger arsenal, if hes prepared, and not out of juice.
sorcerer is almost as good (smaller arsenal), or better, so long as hes not out of juice.
>>
>>50367655
Wizards Gud.
Sorcers Not-so-gud.
>>
>>50367703
sorry, youre right. my 3e is showing.

>>50367505
there used to be a much bigger difference between them.
>>
>>50367684
In general, across the game's history. It just seems like such a minor tweak on a lore reskin, that's ultimately just wizard with training wheels. Where paladin and cleric are both divine magic, they have very distinct roles, and where fighter and barbarian are both martial, they have very distinct roles, it seems like wizard and sorcerer are just... Recolors.
>>
>>50367720
Really? Which edition, what were the differences?
>>
Sorcerers would be a lot better if they got additional Spells Known based on their origin. Just a couple spells every few levels, to get them on par with bards for spells known.
>>
>>50366510
> Being completely dependent on your mount, both mechanically and in-fiction

> Not taking a dip into cavalier

Gross.
>>
I really want to play a doctor type character, not a full magic healer like bard or cleric but one who specialises in healing potions and such. Would it be worth making a ranger subclass homebrew based on this or my other idea was just ua beast companion ranger with some homebrew crafting rules. Which would you prefer if you were my dm? A whole subclass or a bunch of crafting rules
>>
>>50367732

I don't really feel that way personally though I can see why folks do because only the arcane casters overlap as heavily as those two. It doesn't help that they draw from a generally similar (if different in size) spell list.

The way their archetypes work I think helps add differences - dragonbloods in particular become much more... draconic as they gain levels, while a wizard becomes more and more skilled at using their school of choice, influencing the kinds of spells they use for the most part. Transmutation mostly withstanding. Sorcerers also manipulate their spells directly through metamagic. Really though, I think they should just give sorcerers a more unique spell list related to their blood lines.

>>50367760

3.5. Wizards not only had to prepare spells, but they had to prepare each one the number of times they wanted to cast it. E.g. if you wanted to cast three fireballs, you had to prepare it three times. Only prepared it once? You can just cast it once. Though they still had their spell book and more spells available compared to a sorcerer.

A Sorcerer, on the other hand, knew fewer spells but could spontaneously cast them. If they knew fireball, they could cast it as many times as they wanted as long as they had spell slots. They were more flexible over the course of the day and had less book keeping involved.
>>
>>50367548
nope wrong
>>
File: IMG_20161123_145643490.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161123_145643490.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>50367832
Fine I misread it, you don't have to be a dick.
>>
So i'm planning on running a game that's a combination of Spelljammer, Kill Six Billion Demons, Warhammer 40k, and Cosmic Marvel.

How nuts should I get? How nuts can the game get?
>>
Where does the power of oaths come from? Is it some sort of power provided by deities that doesn't require worship to a specific one?
>>
>>50367877
Pointing out an error isn't being a dick, princess
>>
>>50367884
Mostly from you. Your own conviction in your oath is what gives you power. Thats why you use charisma for spellcasting
>>
>>50367897
I'll fuck your rude mouth raw, faggot
>>
>>50367883
extremely nuts, duh
who knows
>>
>>50367021

From what you've told me, you're in the right here. With that in mind...

How the fuck is rolling a 5 on an acrobatics check a symptom of a problem player? Like, what the actual fuck?

> "Those damn players, making me fudge things!"

God damn, 10/10, I'm kinda mad that you exist.
>>
Which not first level divination spells are worth taking? Playing a divination wizard and don't want to be one of those ones that doesn't actually cast divination spells and just uses it for portent
>>
Just wrote out a long post of my experiences as a 9th level sorc and a 6th level wizard but then the nigger captcha crashed my fucking browser

Wizard good, Sorcerer fucking bad and worthless when compared to Wizard
>>
>>50367931
You are a silly bugger who couldn't read but decided to mouth off regardless.

Be sure of your facts before speaking, you dolt.
>>
>>50365977
>>50365957
Sounds like a fun campaign.
>>
>>50365806
The new UA ones seem good enough to compete with bear totem
>>
>>50367986
Sorcerers have the ability to do more damage with twinned and empowered spell. Not saying this makes them on the level of wizards, but they aren't awful
>>
>>50367877
>says something wrong
>"nope wrong"
>STOP RAPING ME
>>
>>50368045
>more damage

Honestly the main appeal of twinned spell is probably double concentration buffs.
>>
>>50367981
foresight :^)
the lv1 rituals are decent to have
detect thoughts for intrigue I guess
>>
>>50367826
Basic ideas being expertise in medicine and doctors bag, possibly small amounts of healing with the doctors bag up to your wisdom modifier, health potions on others as a bonus action. I'm not at home atm so I can't fully plan this but what does 5eg think? Should I just stick to cure wounds?
>>
>>50367405
>Rooster
>Fish
>Flowers
One of these things is not like the other
>>
File: Hobgoblin camp.jpg (317KB, 1154x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin camp.jpg
317KB, 1154x1536px
>>50366746
>>50366669
>>50366576
>>50366410
Thanks a fucking lot for your inputs. Haven't read them all yet but damn, you guys came through.

Thanks again and god speed.
>>
File: I Need Feminism.jpg (35KB, 600x394px) Image search: [Google]
I Need Feminism.jpg
35KB, 600x394px
>>50368076
>>
File: 1475610532896.jpg (156KB, 1224x814px) Image search: [Google]
1475610532896.jpg
156KB, 1224x814px
THis cuck is streaming
What are your thoughts on this game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvBRsXDP14I
>>
>>50367958
Because he has 12 dex and decided to fucking free climb a 100 ft church and wanted to assassins creed jump onto a balcony, 15 foot jump at even height. I warned him of what would happen and I didn't let him die.
>>
>>50367883
well for one thing don't play 5e for that i reckon. 5e ain't wiley nor wolley enough for that
>>
>>50368400
****and blamed me for railroading him
>>
>>50368156
There's a reason for that.
>>
Bards and Nobles guy, if you're reading - enjoying it so far, pretty funny. Seems like a normal group having a good time.
>>
>>50368424
I know why the Sunflower is important for her and her story but is there another reason she got the flower?

On that topic...I get why Mugen got a rooster but I still don't get why Jinn got a fish.
>>
>>50365553
>How do YOU play your Ranger ?
As an Archery Battlemaster with the Outlander background.
>>
>>50367021
Honestly
>you get a nat 20, but you get misleading information
Type stuff should be avoided.

Nat 20s should be held sacred. Sure, he might not see the demon, but he might get 'There is something strangely off around. Something that is beyond your realm of perception.'

Otherwise it's just 'This monster has a check that is unbeatable at stealth if you don't have X in the party. You automatically fail'.
While certainly a shadow demon shouldn't be so easy to spot, putting things into the realm of impossibility for such a thing should probably be avoided.
>>
>>50365553
Beastmaster, ask GM if I can take an Axebeak for my pet and use him as a loyal mount, Chocobo style.
>>
>tfw no group
>every game on roll20 is either 20 goddamn players, homebrew my little pony, or 5 years into a campaign trying to fill in for their player that died of balls cancer
>>
>>50368516
>Chocobo

See the word, hear the music

Woah
>>
>>50365957
Huh, sounds a lot like probably my longest-running character [spoilers]RP'd in WoW. [/spoilers] Just replace the enemy platoon with the Scourge, and he had his uncle with him for a bit before he got sick.
>>
>>50368537
>tfw a group of friends
>Every game I try to get them to roleplay and they just shut me down with epic memes and inside jokes.
>>
>>50366500
Why wouldn't you just use something like PoLand then? I'd argue a better pantheon and cosmology, and it was created for exactly the purpose you're speaking of.
>Dawn War Happened
>Bael Turah and Arkhosia existed once but no more
>The Empire of Nerath has fallen
>Now do whatever, wherever, whyever
>>
File: 1260712883413.png (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1260712883413.png
30KB, 400x400px
>>50368537
>join a roll 20 game, description 'there is a bit of homebrew'
>only talked to the dm, talking over character ideas, ask about SCAG, he says 'it's probably best to stick to phb'
>ok whatever he must have just revised a few rules or something
>get into game for character introductions
>suddenly female voice, it's some bitch that has the DM friendzoned
>completely broken homebrew class that starts the game with multiple magic items from her tragic unique backstory
>3 18s for stats everything else over 14
>gm insists that's what she rolled
nopenopenope
>>
>>50368541
Yeah boi! Plus on the side, a bipedal bird chicken can most likely navigate a dungeon much better than a horse. Especially if I give it Athletics and Acrobatics for its skills.
>>
>>50368470
I would assume due to the idea of going with the flow.
>>
>>50368045
again, oh boy a couple times a day I do a little bit more damage

Not worth it. I think you need to play a Wizard for a bit to really appreciate just how much better they are.

If you had a really large party and already had a Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Paladin, and Bard, then maybe it'd be worthwhile to play a Sorcerer. You would solely be a buff dispenser, but twinning haste or something is always great.

Sorcerer's aren't garbage. No matter what they're a full caster with access to Fireball and such. They just give up on so much good shit compared to a Wizard for some Nova.

If we wanted to go in depth with it we could talk about archetypes; Drac Sorc is nice because of the increased AC and hp but it's not going to make a huge difference. WMS is just trash though.

But then, again, we compare it with wizard and sorc falls flat yet again. Divination, Illusion; Sorc just can't compare
>>
>>50368408
Why do you think that?
>>
>>50368714
Lower power level compared to other editions.
>>
What are some spells with a range of touch for a familiar to use? High level wizard trying to keep the PCs out might attempt to scare them with his familiar
>>
>>50368733
I plan to go very Sword and Sorcery with it. The players essentially begin the campaign as escorts for a package to a drop off point, simply because they need a job or their superiors have tasked them to get the package or deliver it properly.

So what if the package is the only known clone of a powerful wizard that unlocked a weapon of the dead gods?
>>
>>50368772
Invisibility, Identify are the ones nobody thinks of
>>
>>50368772
Molest
>>
>>50368628
Is there somewhere this homebrew class is viewable?

I love pissing on homebrew.
>>
>>50368805
Seems pretty easy for the players to just NOPE out of the task.
My current group, for example, was hired to bolster a region's defense against Orc raids. We just noped out of there the first sign things might get really ugly.
You can go with this, but it would be of great help to have some other threads to bring them back to to the plot without necessarily railroading. You probably have some ideas and people here might contriboot some more.
Please tell more about your plans.
>>
>>50368811
I actually meant offensive, sorry I should have explained it better.
A wizard who is manipulating the party into assisting his Ascent to lichdom without their knowledge has his familiar with them, to "help guide" them through unknown territory, though he's really there to try prevent them from uncovering the truth. If they get to close, I want him to panic and try persuade them to go the other way, if they continue, hit them with a touch spell. So I'm looking for offensive touch spells, only ones I could find were shocking grasp, and inflict wounds. Inflict isn't a wizard spell and shocking grasp is a cantrip and would hardly scare the party off.
>>
>>50368772
Bestow Curse, Plane Shift, maybe Sequester, offensively. But you could do some fun stuff with Feign Death and Nystul's Magic Aura, deceiving the party in interesting ways. Like, the familiar touches some other creature (who's also working for the wizard) and the thing just DIES right there, or so it seems. It might even scare the PCs away.
>>
>>50368891
Im starting them in media res. They're already hired onto the ship that's delivering the package, either they're actually delivering it, or someone they serve wants the package. Many people want the package so there are spies on the ship for enemies/rivals, then there is the journey itself which has it's own dangers. Essentially im DMing this as a problem-driven campaign. PCs have a problem, they need to solve it.
>>
if wizard is a 10 what are sorcerer and warlock?
>>
>be level 17 necromancer
>campaign has been going since release, and has gone from party being "the goodest of the guys" to morally questionable as fuck
>party now consist of a vengeance paladin who may or may not have just willing broken his oath, an undying warlock, me and a death cleric
>somehow manage not to be edgy as fuck
>command undead has been stuck on a wisecracking skeleton since I first hit level 14
>recently found a book that describes how to become a necromancer
>nobody is sure what to do, nobody really wants to destroy, but everyone is afraid of me looking at it
>recently party meets up with an ancient white dragon to do a favour
>dragon is old as fuck, pretty much senile at this point, well into his Twillight (point when dragon begins to die of old age)
>absolutely terrified of dying, and incredibly stupid
>hes looking for us to find a way to increase his lifespan

Is my DM doing what I think he is?
>>
>>50369061
Depends.
Is it a sorcerer AND warlock at the same time?
>>
>>50369075
what the fuck
call a fifth player, make him play shadow sorcerer
yes he is
>>
File: 1464183986526.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
1464183986526.png
1MB, 852x854px
Over the course of the last few weeks I've seen several complains about 5e's combat, but actually prefer the combat of 3rd or 4th (depending on who we're talking about, rarely both), which is fine, but in the respective cores there aren't too many major differences; excluding 4th's powers obviously. Is there some mechanic or system I don't know about that's making 5th "unbearable," while 3.5 is apparently preferable?
>>
>>50369075
That sounds awesome. Help create a dracolich then command it!
>>
>>50369061
An 8 and a 6 respectively.

Sorcerer is still a very good class, but it lacks the variety in spell selection that other full casters get, so it falls short of being up at the top with Wizards, Clerics, and Bards.

Warlocks are not actually bad, they're essentially a weird take on a half-caster class that *can* get access to a very limited number of high level spells. If you look at them in that light, they're fine, just disappointing.
>>
>>50365847
>Wizards with less power and more restrictions
>harbingers of the end
I'm sorry you can't handle a class that is legitimately closer to the flavor and/or reality of spellcasters in the novels that inspired D&D than the current iteration of Wizards.
>>
>>50369313
what the fuck is the other half if you're not a bladelock
>>
>>50369376
half cantrip user
EB does tons of damage
>>
>>50369376
Half caster, half disappointment.
No but seriously, Eldritch Blast with agonizing blast. You're throwing magical halberds at fools from range.
>>
>>50369075
Just an FYI, white dragoliches have low enough intelligence to be permanantly controlled by a necromancer's class feature. Just saying.
>>
What's something good that can be done with a hobgoblin? I mean I want to play one but I'm not sure what they can pull of.
Boost to int and con plus free proficiency that half the classes get makes me think maybe wizard? But that seems so weird as I don't really think "wizard" when I think hobgoblin.
>>
>>50369775

Ask your DM to sub that martial training feature for a +1 to Dex or Str.

Boom, done.
>>
File: Wiegraf's_Challenge.jpg (93KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
Wiegraf's_Challenge.jpg
93KB, 480x359px
>>50369162
I can understand wanting 4E combat so you can play Faerun Fantasy Tactics, but 3.5 combat is inferior in pretty much every way IMO.
>>
>>50369775

I mean hobgoblins do have a secret wizard training academy and all. But they make for good super luck manipulators. Fiend warlock 6/Wizard 2, take the lucky feat. You can manipulate pretty much the maximum number of dice possible to be in your favor.
>>
>>50369162
I can't speak for 3.5e, but 4e has movement, tons of teamwork moves, and lots of tactics.

5e is more often then not just standing still and attacking the same thing until it is dead then repeating with a new thing.
>>
>>50369847
>just standing still and attacking the same thing until it is dead then repeating with a new thing
3X's way was casting a spell that obliterates everything in the room, and if there's still something left alive, the martials stand still and attack that thing until it's dead or the all-powerful Cleric/Druid/Wizard deigns to cast another world-ending spell.
>>
>>50369847
What stops you from using teamwork and tactics in 5e? Dynamic combat is possible unless your players are uncreative as fuck.
>>
Making a fighter/rogue/ranger multiclass. Is two weapon fighting any good or should I go with archery?

Archery: Battlemaster/Assassin/ Hunter
2 handed: Champion?/Swashbuckler?/Hunter

Is rapier+dagger the way to go?
>>
>>50369889
4e forced dynamic combat.

A lot of combat depended on proper positioning, and there ware several powers specifically to help you get people into position.

In 5e, often the optimal route is to stand still and full attack (like martials in 3e).

Players take the optimal route, even if it isn't fun. The sub-optimal routes effectively don't even exist. If the optimal route is boring, the game is boring.
>>
>>50369997
There's literally no reason to go Rapier + Dex, because it requires the Dual Wielder feat, so you might as well go with double rapier.

Also that's an incredibly stupid choice for multiclassing.
>>
>>50370050
Fucking phone, *no reason to go Rapier + Dagger.
>>
>>50369997
You technically can't rapier+dagger if you don't have the Dual-Wielding feat since rapiers are not light weapons.

It's pretty dumb in my opinion since d8+d4 is really comparable to 2d6 (shortswords) and it probably should be one "special" of the dagger.

3 way multiclass in 5E is very risky. You're going to sacrifice extra attack and Ability Score Improvements. What are you trying to achieve there?
>>
>>50369075
>breaking the Oath of Vengeance
>edgy
Given that it's the Oath of the Edgy Badass, wouldn't breaking it be turning into a sweet buttercup that forgives misdeeds and believes in the goodness of man?
>>
what character is the most turn-to-turn combat variation?

my fighter feels like I just smack shit and then choose when to double smack shit
>>
>>50370130
>>50369847
That's because you, as a martial, are not using your environment. Where did the bad DM touch you?
>>
>>50370130

Wizards probably, but you can be more creative in your turn to turn activities. Mobility monk, battlemaster fighter, Illusionist wizard are probably up your alley.
>>
>>50370144
I've shoved monsters off of cliffs with my shield shove.

Other than that, what can I do to interact with the environment?
>>
>>50370130
If your Fighter is boring, you are either:
A) not a Battlemaster / EK
B) suspended in a featureless void with an X and Y dimension but no Z
C) carrying only your weapon
D) alone
E) all of the above

Because when I play my Fighter I'm throwing a bag of cinnamon into the enemy's face to get him gagging, causing that to knock him 15 feet backwards with Pushing Attack so that he trips over a chair, and now my Wizard friend is lighting him up with Fire Bolts and igniting the cloud of finely-ground cinnamon for a nice impromptu explosion.
>>
File: tavernbrawler.png (120KB, 1087x826px) Image search: [Google]
tavernbrawler.png
120KB, 1087x826px
>>50370160
>>
>>50370179
or you could have just triple stabbed him and killed him.
>>
>>50370111
He may have forsaken those who are due restitution. He may have chosen to face the lesser of two evils. He may have failed to set aside his own inner turmoil in the fight against his sworn enemies, leading him to not take any means necessary.

Vengeance Paladins fall not because the become naive optimists, but because they in some way fail to step the fuck up when they need to.
>>
>>50370190
we're only level 3
>>
>>50370184
ok so basically, purposely gimp yourself for muh flavor?

>I could hit him for 50 damage but I will kick him in the dick for 4, what an awesome class!
>>
>>50370206
>he plays with shitty DMs
>>
File: make me.jpg (13KB, 166x299px) Image search: [Google]
make me.jpg
13KB, 166x299px
ITT
>>
>>50370220
>your class can be interesting if your dm ignores the rules
cool
>>
>>50370082
>>50370050
Gonna start as Human variant so I can pick up duel wield or sharpshooter from the get-go.

Just making an assassin build that would either use all 3 classes to make an awesome archer

Or use the 3 class to build a two weapon fighter that will sneak behind or flank enemy positions and unleash a twister of fury and steel.
>>
>>50369162
I don't know how anyone could prefer 3.P's combat, unless their either using the Book of Weeaboo Fittan Magic or DSP shit for Pathfinder. However, as far as 4E goes?

4E is all of the best parts of playing something like Final Fantasy Tactics, except with your friends on the table with you. Tons of movement, tons of teamwork and power syngergy, and a metric fuckton of tactical thinking. Also, an edition where the DMG basically yelled at the DM and told him to spruce up the surroundings of combat in order to add even more depth while also providing help in figuring out how to mechanically handle that kinda stuff.

And people like >>50369889 just clearly haven't read through the rulebooks to see how 4E actively forced you into tactical combat. Also, through Encounter and Daily powers, you couldn't simply depend on a singular course of action for a fight as your resources were constantly changing. 5E somewhat has this through all of the Short Rest features, but not every DM is willing to turn Short Rest into Encounter.

>>50369775
>take squish
>apply gish
The armor and weapons allow you to make a lot of really interesting casters that normally would be hyper fragile. Also, I don't know why you find hobgoblin and wizard antithetical. Remember, hobgoblins are the hyper-regimented Nazi samurai goblinoids. Wizards are probably the caster that hobgoblins would most likely join due to the emphasis on order and regimen.
>>
>>50370206
Your DM, like every other DM on the planet, almost assuredly gives sweeping latitude to the Wizard when it comes to using his spells to do shit not strictly mentioned in their spell text, to light objects on fire with a fire spell when the spell does not mention it ignites things, to blow up objects whose health or hardness would ordinarily scoff at the damage of a spell, and any number of other bullshit.

You, as the non-Wizard, must demand the same treatment when spicing up regular attacks. No 1d4 improvised weapon damage for everything under the sun. You want to make opposed Athletics checks or force Strength saves from your opponent for doing things not explicitly spelled out in the book. You want either comparable damage to a plain attack or some form of status ailment to be inflicted as recompense for reduced damage and the additional saves required. You want a reward for your creativity and trying to do something with your character and the game that isn't "I stand there and swing my sword."

Don't be a chode.
>>
>>50370236
>DMs
>having rules
It's like you DIDN'T EVEN READ THE BOOK

>>50370256
>Wizards are probably the caster that hobgoblins would most likely join due to the emphasis on order and regimen.
Immortal Mystics
>>
>>50370206
>I want to interact with the environment, swinging off of chandalers and knocking over braziers and snuffing out the lights in a room to allow my Darkvision party to wreck these bitches in the dark
>I want every interaction with the environment to be the equivalent of hitting him twice with a greatsword

One of these is not like the other, one of these is retarded. Playing with the environment is almost always more about inflicting or gaining situational modifiers (advantage/disadvantage) or conditions (Blinded/Deafened/etc). Using the environment is combat is rarely ever just about dumping a fat amount of damage, but more about steering the course of the fight into an advantageous route while also breaking up the monotony of "I hit him with the sharp thing."

>>50370273
>Mystics
Holla back when you get printed. Also, yeah, they actually do make for bitching psions due to the same things that make them great wizards. It's also what makes them great monks, even if the rules don't necessarily slide that way.
>>
Have I misread something or is the level 20 wizards capstone so bad that Wizard19/Anything1 is more powerful than Wizard 20?

2 extra 3rd level spells at level 20 just seems pathetic.
>>
>>50370394

I mean the real benefit is that it allows you to prepare 2 more spells each day but yes, it's rather underwhelming on its own. The biggest advantage I suppose is that if you go all the way to 20 you can learn up to 6 level 9 spells.
>>
File: pjy26lnmnrxblu23wols.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
pjy26lnmnrxblu23wols.png
1MB, 800x1055px
>>50370311
>Hobgoblin monk
>Literally practices katas for eight hours a day
>Even while campaigning

plz no
>>
File: wtf am i reading.jpg (186KB, 953x801px) Image search: [Google]
wtf am i reading.jpg
186KB, 953x801px
Has anyone made a system that gives close averages to the tables in the DMG but scales with level? I don't like this rng cluster
>>
>>50370273
>Immortal Mystics
You mean mystics in gneral since the mystic seemed to be a guru/mystic monk that just happens to have their abilities fall under psionics
>>
>>50370414

>An Iron Shadow qt 3.14 hobbo will never ruthlessly give you a footjob, sneering and ridiculing you the entire time
>>
>>50370572
don't have a sad enough Pepe for that feel
>>
>>50370572
Fuck off back to /pfg/
>>
>>50370594

What's pfg?
>>
>>50370458
Dnd is a game of chance
>>
>>50370603
A containment thread for fetish and fapfags. Such a laughably degenerate shitshow they advertising a General-run ERP game in the opening pasta.
>>
>>50370603
Plant fucker general, I'll link it for you
>>>/trash/6394030
>>
>>50370603
>Not sure if joking or just this new
Look, your strange fetishes are not appreciated in this thread, or on this board in general. If you want pictures of monster porn, take yourself to /d/ for animu style pictures or /aco/ for western cartoon style pictures.

If you're more interested in roleplaying than the porn itself, go to the pathfinder general thread here on /tg/. But your fetishes and discussion thereof is not welcome here in /5eg/.
>>
>>50370639

If he wants porn, he just needs to hop on the /5eg/ discord server.
>>
>>50370655
I'm not such a monster that I would recommend that shitshow to him.
>>
>>50370413
I personally think Wizard18/Fighter2 is the best wizard build.

The level 18 wiz power is amazing, so that makes going wiz17/sorc3 painful.

Action surge is just too good, worth giving up a feat and a level 6&7 spell. The proficiency with shields med armor and the +1 AC are a bonus too.
>>
>>50370665

There is literally nothing wrong with the /5eg/ discord server.
>>
>>50370458
I tend to correct for level while using that table. So roll a d100 and add 10 to the roll for every level they are above 5th. So level 8s, rolling a 36 on the dice, actually roll a 66, and get 1d4 C instead of 1d6 A.
>>
>>50370673

sounds good, thanks
>>
>>50370669
It's one thing to lie to everyone else here on the internet, but don't lie to yourself like that, anon.
>>
>>50370695
proof
>>
File: typical c0re.jpg (56KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
typical c0re.jpg
56KB, 500x379px
>>50370710
>>
>>50370710
The casual sharing of fetish porn among nerds, and the fact that it is inhabited by people who take it seriously enough to whine about it when it is insulted are all the proof I need, anon.
>>
I just started playing e5 as my first tabletop game. My character is 4 int, 14 wis, and 18 charisma. How the fuck do I role play this?
>>
>>50370629
No, anon, I don't want them either. I want to just discuss games I like (including Pathfinder) without all the fetish and fapfag shit!
>>
>>50370630
EY TONY, FUCK YOU, DAT'S MY THREAD, DON'T BE SENDIN DIRTY FOOTFAGS IN DERE
>>
File: Dory_FD.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Dory_FD.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>50370840
>>
>Charm enemy
>Enemy thinks you're their friend
>Explain to your friend that if you don't use Vamparic Touch you'll die
Would this follow as a "reasonable action" for them to take? (RAW they won't do things like stab themselves, but would they help a "friend"? (Assuming the charmed creature actually would help a friend, I assume a goblin would tell their friend to fuck off if they asked.)
>>
>>50370840
>4 int
H-how did this even happen? That's actually impressive.
>>
>>50370919
Depends on the individual, but in general, advantage on the persuasion check, and if the DC is ten or lower, then an auto pass.
>>
>>50370840
You're Tarzan. Animalistic, acting on instinct before conscious thought, but confident and pretty as fuck.
>>
>>50370898

Sure, I can play an idiot, but is that moderately high wisdom? I guess I could play a mid life forest gump, who also has 18 str and is a vengeance paladin
>>50370927

We roll for stats around here.
>>
>>50370950
It was a rhetorical question, I was just impressed your highest roll was a two.
>>
>>50370968
My dm is pretty cool and let's us reroll if our average is less than 10. My first character averaged 6. He was a litteral peasant.
>>
>>50370950
The stereotypical "High Wis, Low Int" is someone that might be a fucking retard but has common sense in spades, as opposed to the High Int, Low Wis cooky professor that's mastered several languages, can recite every Pharaoh in order, but keeps losing his keys and can't remember to turn off the stove.
>>
>>50367021
But nat 20s are an automatic success.

That's why they're nat 20s.

For example an attack which has no chance of hitting a high ac will hit with a nat 20.

Now letting him roll perception whenever he wants is another complete issue.

Just flatly tell him no or to stfu when he's arguing.
>>
>>50371102
Nat 20s only matter on attack rolls, anon. Read the damn book.
>>
File: 5eg anon reads the phb.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
5eg anon reads the phb.png
557KB, 700x483px
>>50371137
>>50371102
>>
File: 1335599192020.gif (174KB, 299x240px) Image search: [Google]
1335599192020.gif
174KB, 299x240px
>>50371137
>>50371150
Shit anon I'm the DM if I say a nat 20 is a critical success then it is.

But I don't let my players roll perception anyway.
>>
File: 1460949063517.jpg (8KB, 399x310px) Image search: [Google]
1460949063517.jpg
8KB, 399x310px
>>50371160
Well I'm the DM and I say my players succeed whatever they roll, for anything. So who cares what the rules say?

I never let them roll though, it would interrupt my story time
>>
>>50371102
H O U S E R U L E
O
M
E
B
R
E
W
>>
>>50371181
Rule of fun anon.

I don't railroad my players into having to be sneak ambushed by a shadow.

If they roleplay well enough to change my plans then I'll roll with it.
>>
>>50371191

>Player failing a roll and getting ambushed by a shadow demon is railroading

Every day I am increasingly thankful that my players do not come from /tg/.
>>
File: 1385780117975.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1385780117975.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>50371314
Clearly that guy wants to kill his annoying player but is too much of a pussy to do it.

So he just contrives ways to make him fail. SAD.
>>
File: 815.png (827KB, 680x765px) Image search: [Google]
815.png
827KB, 680x765px
>players are levels 1 to 2
>DMing a few days ago
>introduce the BBEG that they can fight later on down the line
>similar to Death Knight ability-wise
>enters through a portal, takes loot from those who die and leaves
>shrugs the PCs off when they try to stop or confront him because they are below him
>on paper he is about level 5
>third time he shows up
>Rogue player chases after him and dives through the portal at the BBEG on its way out
>portal snaps shut and the Rogue is now in the BBEG's throne room by himself literally tens of miles away from the party

I can't hold back now. We are going to 1-on-1 module this so the other PCs dont know what happened. Do I give him a fighting chance? Do I just fuck him up and make an example of him and give the party lots of motivation?

I feel like he should pay for his idiocy but he was the only one REALLY into character.
>>
>>50371382
If you want the players to take him seriously, the rogue has to die or escape on his own. Play the BBEG as he would act, he might not even care that much about this lowly rat-catcher, but be sure to let the player know there are ways to escape from there. The other solution is to kill him but find a way to bring him back, say they find the rogue's corpse the following day, but conveniently there's a high level priest nearby that can bring him back.
>>
File: 1344079057086.jpg (57KB, 506x567px) Image search: [Google]
1344079057086.jpg
57KB, 506x567px
>>50371382
Have him captured and tortured. Ultimately becoming enslaved to the BBEG. Coming back to the party as a spy.

We all know rogues are just edgy cunts that want to be evil anyway.

Even if he refuses and wants to die, you could have the Death Knight raise him from the dead and have him become a captain in his army. Becoming an NPC rival and antagonist for the party.
>>
>>50371434
Well the BBEG is taking these dead bodies and suspending their souls to use their energy in burst to summon a very powerful demon who will do his bidding. So the potential to save him even postmortem exists, but you'd have to convince him to release the souls, as killing him destroys the souls as well.

They'll learn more about it, but hopefully they take their time.

>>50371450
>you could have the Death Knight raise him from the dead and have him become a captain in his army

Shit, that is good.
>>
>>50371450
This happened in my PotA game.
Our Paladin died fighting the Dragon Turtle and we couldn't recover the body because we were nearly dead from killing the thing and Crabclawman + his goonies busted into the room after hearing all the racket. He was going to capture us, but we managed to distract him and fucking Sonic the Hedgehog outta there in an every-man-for-himself type way.

So somehow Paladin's corpse winds up floating out and into the river, which takes it by the Necromancer's tower who is raising everything that's dead in a certain radius, and it picks up the Paladin. We later go to kill said Necromancer, and when we got to the top of the tower, there's our Paladin bro, now an undead Blackguard in service to the Necromancer.

We purified his soul hardcore.
>>
>>50371479
If you want him to have even a chance of survival, right at the beginning of the session you gotta make sure the rogue's PLAYER understands he's in over his head. Describe how evil and the BBEG looks, how it sends shivers down his spine. Complete that by asking for a Wisdom save against becoming frightened, just to send the message.If he still tries to fight, then fight as the BBEG would. A lone rogue should stand no chance at all.
>>
>>50371382
Ask him if he doesn't mind his character being killed/raised and becoming a minor but relevant NPC.

If he wants his character to come back, then make sure he knows it will be a session or three so to write up a new character and maybe add a few levels to his rogue.
>>
The new Volo's should be called Fantastic Beasts and How to Cook Them.
>>
>>50371382
Any Rogue worth his salt would notice he's cut off and roll to deceive.
>I'm here to interview for the catburglar position.
>>
File: 1467129944863.jpg (275KB, 1000x776px) Image search: [Google]
1467129944863.jpg
275KB, 1000x776px
>>50370414
>Hobgoblin monks are a vital part of their culture and really cool fluff and apparently smoking hot
>They get a bonus to monk's tertiary stat and one totally irrelevant to them, and their training in light armor and martial weapons is wasted due to monks' reliance on no armor and monk weapons

>Bugbears get no special faction or unit, despite being fantastically thematic as shadow or long death monks due to being slasher movie villain caricatures, slipping through shadows impossible for their size to appear behind a terrified foe and reveling in death and bringing horror to their prey and JUST NOT DYING

>Goblins' "special unit" has no way of being properly approximated by a PC

Volo's, why.
>>
>evil cult is planning on summoning an ancient evil that was merely banished, not destroyed, centuries ago
>our party fails to stop them
>an ancient yugoloth crawls out of a fissure in time
>all of its stats are from Second Edition
>its AC is literally -1 so we cannot possibly miss
>all of its melee attacks are merely 1d10 or 1d12 damage
we still got our asses kicked because apparently +1 isn't good enough to nick his hide and he had percentile magic resistance
>>
I'm considering running an evil monster campaign following the release of Volo's.

Basically, no PHB / EE race options but what's found in Volo's.

As the monstrous races stand, do you guys think any of them need modification / rebalancing?
>>
File: 1474564841521.jpg (109KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1474564841521.jpg
109KB, 650x650px
Would sabers and cutlasses make good weapons to act as re-fluffed rapiers? As in just more D8 finesse weapons? I want my dex fighter in half plate to have a melee weapon, but rapier seems so out of place on him.

pic related, kenku fighter
>>
>>50371860
Talk to your DM about it.

For the record: no, having more one-handed d8 finesse weapons isn't going to hurt anything. The functional difference between bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing is minimal unless you are fighting a *lot* of skeletons.
>>
>>50371860

Saber as a d8 slashing damage finesse weapon is fine.
>>
>>50366412
Dude, my hometown has a fucking festival for mules. Those fuckers are smaller than a horse in that they're the size of a small horse. And not like a Shetland pony small, just a normal smallish horse. They're not donkeys.
>>
Gestalt game.
What's the best, most consistent aoe blaster caster?

Red/gold dragon sorcerer + undying light lock?
Evocation wizard/UL lock?
>>
>>50371811
Pureblood is stupid. At the very least give it the gnome racial instead of advantage vs *everything*.

Others are fine.
>>
>>50371860
I've used sabers and cutlasses as reskinned scimitars in my game.
Not really seeing what's wrong with fighters in plate using rapiers. I'm not familiar with Narnia stuff but images of that King Miraz fella make him look pretty badass with that rapier of his.
>>
>>50371860
And if you're looking for a more heroic example of a badass with a rapier, there's always DC Comics' Warlord.
>>
Are there instant death or instant destruction effects in 5e?
>>
>>50372342

Save-or-die type things? There are a few but they're very rare.

Quivering palm is the most straight-forward example, and one of the only straight up save-or-die effects in the entire game.

Flesh to stone, prismatic ray, and prismatic wall give you a 'death save' style gauntlet or you die. Disintegrate turns you to dust if it reduces you to 0 HP.

Monsters have a handful of effects along those lines although I can't remember them all at the moment. Medusa, Devourer, and illithids have an effect that can instantly kill you IIRC.
>>
>>50372342
Yes, though few and all are dependent on certain factors.
>>
>>50372342
Not that I'm aware.
Even Acererak's soul-sucking trick is a DC 19 wisdom save now.
>>
>>50372342
Power Word Kill (100 hp or less only)
>>
>>50372382
QP also isn't instant death - it's instant 0 health unstable.
>>
>>50372342
>>50372382
>>50372383
>>50372386
>>50372392
Thanks heaps brahs.
More the no-save instant death/destruction type effects.
>>
>>50372342
If a monster's hp is low enough that even on a successful save against your lowest roll it would go to 0, then it has no chance of not dying to disintegrate. If you polymorph someone into something beforehand that has such a low hp, then it is an instant death effect, but polymorph requires a save.
>>
>>50372408
Power Word: Kill is the only one.
9th level spell which auto-kills something that has 100 hp or less.
>>
>>50372433
>>50372477
Thanks heaps brahs.
Will also definitely read up on Power Word: Kill.
>>
So I'm running SKT and the party is about to meet Harshnag. What are some cool possible encounters they could have while traveling to the Eye of the All-father? The suggested encounters in Chapter 3 don't do it for me or I already used a few of the better ones.
>>
>>50371659

Bugbears aren't motivated enough to form special groups.
>>
>>50372114
You could go Red/Gold Sorcerer//College of Lore Bard. Use your Magical Secrets to pick up some spells that aren't normally available to Sorcerer. Although I forgot the exact rules on Gestalt, could you do 20 Sorc//3 Lock/17 Bard? That'd give you a good EB to use whenever AoE isn't the best option, plus you would have the extra 4 sorcery points every short rest.
>>
File: 1287790711761.jpg (93KB, 370x478px) Image search: [Google]
1287790711761.jpg
93KB, 370x478px
>>50371773
>ancient evil
>all of its stats are from Second Edition

That's kinda genius in a groan-inducing way.
>>
>>50371659
I am still baffled that nobody realized how fucking stupid it was to perfectly build Hobgoblins to be WIZARDS of all things. Not Fighters, Monks, Rogues, Rangers, or Barbarians. FUCKING WIZARDS.

Intelligence doesn't even DO anything to increase somebody's tactical abilities. They didn't even spend six seconds coming up with an idea of what to do to have an interesting "Strategist" racial feature. They could have literally just copied Battlemaster's feature where you can study an enemy to learn traits about them, except change it so that you can only learn something like what their mental saving throws are.
>>
>>50372787
Depends where they meet him.

I had them already on the way to the temple in the snowy mountains.

So I played up the extreme cold aspect. They had blizzards, avalanches which buried one of them (which they then had to save).

It culminated in them battling a White Dragon. Which was a good way to introduce Harshnagg as their saviour and ally.
>>
>>50371773
>Evil so ancient it uses stats from the 90s
Your DM owes me a new pair of sides.
>>
File: Screenshot_146.png (479KB, 466x466px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_146.png
479KB, 466x466px
>>50371773
>Fighting ancient evils from 2e with +1 weapons
Everyone knows you need +3 for that.
>>
I wonder what the order of the Knife and order of the invisible hand will be like for the Mystic.
>>
>>50372875

Too bad there aren't Hunters in this game.
>>
>>50372880
Sounds cool, but I had my party travel alongside a young copper dragon already and they actually haven't fought a dragon themselves yet (not since we started DnD with 5e). So I'm planning to make Iymrith their first encounter with one.

One encounter I had in mind was them fighting other Frost Giants who hate and detest Harshnag for his past actions and loyalty to the smallfolk.
>>
>>50372916
Knife will be soulknife i.e. what bladelock should have been
>>
>>50372933
>young copper dragon

Are you trying to setup Felgolos anon?

Cloud giant castle is clearly the worst quest.

My players already met Gnawbone who told them about the temple. Frost Giants sound cool, where they going to be on boats or near Icewind Dale?
>>
>>50372965
No the copper Dragon they met gave them a Quest to get rid of a Hill Giant near its layer. It didn't want to deal with the Giant itself because it hates their stupidity and because they don't understand the copper dragons smart way of words.

As a reward they could pay him 500 gold so he does accompany them for a while, but the fighter told him a good joke and he reduced the price to 300 gold. He became very useful when a Halfling village hidden in some ruins got attacked by Stone Giants.

I'm still unsure how or where they will meet the Frost Giants though.
>>
File: CRT wizard.jpg (249KB, 538x800px) Image search: [Google]
CRT wizard.jpg
249KB, 538x800px
Does anyone have the pdf for the blade singer?
Will post wizards in return.
>>
>>50373095

It's in the SCAG you dope.
>>
File: comfy telvanni.jpg (660KB, 712x1000px) Image search: [Google]
comfy telvanni.jpg
660KB, 712x1000px
>>50373105
yeah but I don't have the SCAG, you silly goose.
>>
>>50373117

The SCAG is IN the Mega link in the OP, you delightful rube.
>>
File: kickass wizard fight.jpg (114KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
kickass wizard fight.jpg
114KB, 736x552px
>>50373126
Holy shit! How did I miss that! It would appear that the goose is ME!
>>
I'm this >>50372787 >>50373033 dude.

What are some monsters that dwell in extremely cold mountains that aren't Giants, White Dragons or Winter Wolfes?
>>
>>50366277
Greyhawk Reborn is active at least here in the MD area. Successor to Living Greyhawk.
>>
>>50373168
Yetis, bears, Canadians, etc.

There's a table in the encounter-building area of the DMG for each environment that has a list of all the monsters that might be found there, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>50373168
Yetis, anon! There's ice mephits, too. Oh and Remorhazes. You could throw a mammoth their way, too.
>>
File: 1475469558353.jpg (332KB, 1000x764px) Image search: [Google]
1475469558353.jpg
332KB, 1000x764px
Just hit level 3, I'm a Paladin. I don't know what Oath to go.

I've been playing the character as incredibly headstrong and driven, he's run head first into danger without any regard for himself multiple times now, and treats everyone, even the dickhead CN Rogue, with the utmost comradery and respect

I think Vengeance fits the best, and the spells it gets are my favorite out of devotion/ancients/vengeance spell list.

however - Vengeance's level 7 ability seems absurdly lame compared to Devotion's or Ancient's. Like how is it even a comparison between "you can move a couple feet after making an opportunity attack" and "you and allies near you take half damage from spells FOREVER/ can't be charmed EVER"

I might grab Polearm Master next level, one guy was telling me it's great for Paladins. Would that make the Vengeance level 7 better?

Oath of Devotion's channel divinity also seems fucking sweet, make my greatsword glow all holy like and gain +3 to hit. Oath of Vengeance's CDs are pretty good too and Ancients look pretty garbage.

What would you guys do?
>>
>>50373207
Devotion is highest damage late game if you're going polearm master due to sacred weapon boosting your accuracy to hell and back.

Ancients is best for tanking due to the level 7 aura.

Vengeance is best damage if you don't go polearm master - you just throw on a greatsword and don't look back.

That's the gist.
>>
>>50373241
Vengeance comboes well with Polearm Master's opportunity attack, though.
And the ability is still somewhat useful for outmaneuvering enemies, covering allies or doors or whatnot. The biggest issue is that you've already used your reaction to attack them, and can't again.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find some good maps for random encounters? I'm playing on roll20 so they would be really useful
>>
>>50373168
Easy to add ghosts or other undead (icy zombies that are frozen solid and hit hard, perhaps) howling wind disguises their cries

Cave-men barbarians could be unexpected.

>>50373207
Devotion is the best, it's most paladin paladin. You're all holy and kickass, and none of the edge that comes with Vengeance (though it is good too). Sacred Weapon is really cool, and you get the best oaths to make your character really heroic.
Misty Step is what you'll be missing mostly, and the Vengeance advantage-on-one-creature CD is fantastic.
As for the feat, I'd just improve your CHA and watch as your DM fails to hit you with any effects, and protect those standing next to you too. Polearm Master is good, but I'd save it for later- you don't get much in the way of damage boosts after your 11th lvl smite bonus, so it might be nice to crack that out after then to get some extra, if you'll go that far.

Just my thoughts obviously, you can't really go wrong with any pick, so choose what you want to play!
>>
>>50373317
Relentless avenger isn't a very good feature desu - I wouldn't balance a build around it.
Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>50373339
Not him but what's the opinion on oathbreaker?
>>
>>50373359
Oathbreaker is good.
Especially if your party has a necromancer wizard in it.
>>
>>50373339
Polearm master is actually worth it early - having a bonus action attack (and easy aoo procs on top) is statistically better than a +2 str.

One of the very few feats in the game that merit priority over a primary ASI in certain builds.
>>
>>50373331

I typically prefer going Theater of the Mind for random encounters.
Less prep work for me.
>>
>>50373339
This campaign will only go to level 10ish, hence why I want to get Polearm Master and up my damage ASAP. I'm the big man up front and the rest of the party is a monk, wiz and ranger so our damage is pretty low, polearm master will really increase it as I'll get that reaction attack pretty much every round. GM's really good at not doing the shitty GM "I know this player can do this if the monster does this so the monster won't do that thus making that player's thing worthless"

and the additional chance at a hit/damage/crit for a smite with my bonus action is great, the only thing that'll compete with is like vow of emnity
>>
>>50368012
you're a cunt
>>
>>50373433
>>50368012
Please, this is /5eg/. Take your autism elsewhere.
>>
What would be a resonable DC and the effects of a landslide hitting the party? The party is around level 7 if that matters
>>
>>50373399
>Theater of the Mind
Please explain, never heard that term before.
>>
File: 5e traps.png (157KB, 362x251px) Image search: [Google]
5e traps.png
157KB, 362x251px
>>50373481
I'd use this as a base.
>>
>>50373488
Doesn't the phb explain it? It's pretty much just playing without any kind of grid
>>
>>50373501
Oh, I prefer grids honestly, easier to account for aoes and flanking.
>>
File: Improvised Damage.png (120KB, 302x235px) Image search: [Google]
Improvised Damage.png
120KB, 302x235px
>>50373481
I guess 4d10 or more, save for half. DC 15? I dunno, check the DMG section on traps, it might give you some ideas.
>>
>>50373488
Basically no physical representation of combat or anything else in terms of maps or miniatures. You're all using your imagination.
>>
hey, /tg/, what creative uses are there for tinker's tools?
>>
>>50373497
What kind of DC would it be?

I'm thinking of letting them see the landslide and giving them a short time to react, depending on how they act the have a different saving throw. For example Dex if they want to find something to hide behind, or Str if they try to withstand it.
>>
>>50373533
It should probably be dangerous or deadly, since it's a landslide. I'd say a DC of 15 or 16 for half damage would be appropriate.
>>
>>50373533

I'd say 15. Hard enough that the non-dex characters will be challenged, low enough that the dex characters should be fine.
>>
How is 5e in comparison to 4e? Is combat as good, on par or?
>>
File: 1479662938135.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1479662938135.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>50373566
>>
>>50373566
Not as balanced but way more flavorful and fun.

Combat is much faster but less tactical.
>>
File: pic1180640.jpg (450KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic1180640.jpg
450KB, 600x600px
>>50373512
>I prefer grids honestly, easier to account for aoes and flanking.
>>
>>50373525
Tinker tools are best used in campaigns where black powder or magic-powered machinery exist. Time delayed detonators and pressure-plate traps are always fun.

>>50373566
Combat is less reliant upon positioning and forced movement. The optimal strategy is still have the high-damage classes team up on individual enemies until they die while the casters use AoE debuffs or spam cantrips to take out weak enemies. The math is different but the speed of combat is about the same as post MM3 early paragon tier.
>>
>>50373533
>Str if they try to withstand it
I think you mean Con.
>>
>>50373626
> The math is different but the speed of combat is about the same as post MM3 early paragon tier.
What does this mean?
>>
>>50373616
Me and my group use simple plain grids, we also use these coloured tokens to represent entities, cheap and effective. No need to play a different board game.
>>
>>50373663
Well I think both would work, but isn't Str more fitting for holding yourself against a force?
>>
>>50373566
depends on what you liked/didn't like in 4e
>>
>>50373566

Depends on what you did or didn't like about them. It's closer to 3.5 in combat spirit than 4E (which I prefer) so I think it's pretty good in that respect.
>>
>>50373668
Enemy HP before 4e Monster Manual 3 was too high relative to their level, while their damage was too low. It led to long, boring grindfest fights where there was little risk involved for the party. After Monster Manual 3, they figured out the right ballpark to keep those numbers in, and it sped combat up significantly.

Paragon Tier in 4e was when characters got their first major boost in power relative to the enemies they were facing. It's the level range in 4e that most optimizers preferred playing in. Combat was at that satisfying balance between slow, deliberate, methodical, and short, risky, high energy.
>>
So, my backup character concept is a tiefling warlock who is on a "quest for love". Her target is her patron, the devil Mephistopheles. It's an evil campaign, so no worries there. My question is, will this be too magical realm for a neckbeard like me to play? Warlock means 20 Cha which means total babe, so that worries me.
>>
>>50373755
this is so cringey
>>
>>50373755
that character is chris chan
>>
File: 1474308918592.gif (3MB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
1474308918592.gif
3MB, 225x180px
>>50373755
>>
>>50373766
True love is never cringey, anon. Let anon have his husbando.
>>
>>50373674
I could see both working, I guess. I had in mind things like Thunderwave, that move you against your will and target Con. Str being more for things trying to keep you in place.
>>
File: 1475082569771.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
1475082569771.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
>>50373755
>>50373755
>>
>>50373766
>>50373784
>>50373791
I'll take that as a yes. Alright then.
>>
File: 1477243924097.gif (2MB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
1477243924097.gif
2MB, 380x214px
>>50373755
>>50373755
>>50373755
>>
>>50373755
>>
>>50373755
Motherfucker, Charisma is not how physically attractive you are, it's how forceful a personality you have. A half-orc barbarian could be ugly as sin and still have a high Cha score. There's a reason that the Intimidate and Deception skills key off Charisma, despite having jack all to do with how attractive a character is.

So no, I don't think it's too magical realm for you to pull off. I think it requires a level of social intelligence that you severely lack, but that's not what you asked. Have at it. Just don't be surprised when you embarrass yourself and creep the rest of the players in your party out, and we inevitably hear about you and your tiefling in a Tha/tg/uy thread.
>>
File: 1474171808984.gif (1MB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
1474171808984.gif
1MB, 266x200px
>>50373755
>>
>>50371555
lol
>>
Someone said the Pugilist class is pretty shit a few threads back, what's the deal with it? Seems like just a strength monk to me.
>>
>>50374146
The main concern I've heard about it is that it regains moxie too fast, leading to it outclassing the monk.

As a DM, I've never really encountered this problem with the three Pugilists I've had at my table. They tend to constantly go for the temporary hp, so not only are they expending resources, but temporarily preventing themselves from regaining them.

Admittedly, my players are overcautious when it comes to their HP, and not exactly optimizers when it comes to builds, so ymmv.
>>
>>50373755
Just remember you're in the marriage for status and power.
>>
>>50374146
There are some wording problems (By RAW it appears technically you can quadruple your proficiency bonus if you get expertise in athletics) but those are easy to resolve with 'the bonuses don't stack'.

The problem with the Pugilist is it doesn't really fulfill any role.
It's just tanky, and that's the end of it.

So, basically and rather surprisingly, it's not entirely like the monk.

Also, while it is strength-focused, it's entirely possible to go monk1/Pugilist X to go dexterity pugilist. Is this unbalanced? ... Eh, they don't really gain anything else from the level in monk, so probably not. They should have made the use of strength more akin to barbarian - Synergy with 'advantage on strength rolls', required for use of 'rage damage' and 'reckless attack'.

Anyway, compared to the barbarian, they're probably as tanky unless it's a bear barbarian.
They're also less MAD than a barbarian, but its not like barbarian cared about dex for AC anyway and they have danger sense.

Compared to monk they get some cool things like advantage against unconscious or stunned and they get to go around being a grappling dick to everyone but they lose monk's core feature:
Stunning Fist.

Monks are basically stun sticks later on, and this means Pugilists are like this but without the stun sticking. So what does this mean? ,.. They're not particularly outsanding at anything. Barbarian-rogue could grapple better than them anyway.

Their role is very much like the Barbarian's.
>>
File: 5395138_orig.jpg (174KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
5395138_orig.jpg
174KB, 618x800px
So... in the campaign I'm playing in, the GM has apparently given us the option to use a ritual to reincarnate our PCs into dragons.

We are level 4 at the moment. We want to become metallic dragons, to be sure that we are going to fight against the main villain before our alignment shifts completely and our new selves form. So I wanted to know: if you had the opportunity to choose which Metallic dragon you can become, which one would you choose?

Personally, I'm thinking either pic related or Silver.
>>
File: 1478805276499.jpg (314KB, 1038x1393px) Image search: [Google]
1478805276499.jpg
314KB, 1038x1393px
>>50374586
I'd not play high fantasy power-jerking shit.

Also, high quartz dragon. Fuck metal.
>>
Who else is hyped for Kenku?
>>
>50375392 >50375392 >50375392
>50375392 New thread >50375392
>50375392 >50375392 >50375392
>>
File: yes to please.png (53KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
yes to please.png
53KB, 512x512px
>>50375392 >>50375392 >>50375392
>>50375392 New thread >>50375392
>>50375392 >>50375392 >>50375392
>>
>>50375399
delete yourself
>>
>>50375417
i would if i could but my mom has leukemia

she needs me
>>
>>50373457
/5eg/ is autism incarnate though
>>
>>50365995
I disagree. I mean when it comes to VTT the only real options are Fantasy Grounds and Roll 20. Roll 20 only isbt shit if you pay for the sub and even then you still need to pay for any licensed material. Unless you want to import it yourself(which you can also do in FG) but I dont have the time to do that plus it also lends itself to user error.

As far as features the UI is a little clunky but it's not too hard to get used to. It beats having to write macros in roll 20 for everything.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone where money is tight. Bit for people like.me who don't have as much time.anymore who can only.play with friends.online and who have full time work fantasy grounds beats out Roll 20 and there isn't any other VTT out there that comes close to those two.

Plus it gets regular updates and the new unity version will come out soon with some good features. And the devs are pretty nice guys.
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.