[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 46

File: Cleric_PHB5e.jpg (95KB, 800x685px) Image search: [Google]
Cleric_PHB5e.jpg
95KB, 800x685px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Latest News
-NEW Unearthed Arcana: Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Thread Topic:
Players: Tell us of that "Nat 20" that saved the entire party from turning into a TPK/PPK

DM: A guy is genuinely curious about DnD and wants to play and have fun and on session 0 his character concept is He is Azrael, the Angel of Death and was cast down to earth by God and he needs to find God to question why he cast him away. What do you do?
>>
File: 1478805276499.jpg (314KB, 1038x1393px) Image search: [Google]
1478805276499.jpg
314KB, 1038x1393px
>>50348464
Allow the 'god of death'.
The big reveal is that the character was just being chuunibyou all along and deluded themselves into thinking they were the god of death or whatever.
>>
>Players: Tell us of that "Nat 20" that saved the entire party from turning into a TPK/PPK
Our rogue stealthed over to an enemy camp last session, and it had dozens of bad guys in it. His natural 20 gave him 27 on his stealth check, which might be excessive but we were more than glad not to know what would have happened on a lesser roll.
>>
>>50348464
He forgets the heavens, remembering only the life of his new vessel, Aasimar stats. He only has vague memories of his true self, long term character goals to retrieve his memories in full, followed by attempts to return to celestial splendor.
>>
>>50348464
Suggest that he play an aasimar that has an angelic guide with a similar goal.
>>
>>50348511
He'd have had to have rolled about 8 or so to get spotted. If the rogue had 'reliable talent', that would be impossible.

Stealth in that case is rolled against passive perception which is unlikely to be higher than about 15.
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
What is the highest CR you would put against a party of 8 level 20 adventurers with extremely powerful magical items to boot?
I was thinking 3 ancient dragons,one 22, one 23 and on 25
>>
>>50348464
>DM
We're not really playing in a setting where that would work. I'll try and remind him of the relative amount of power a 3rd level PC has and help him find something in tone that could still be fun in the direction he's looking, but will be lore-friendly and appropriate to the game.
>>
File: received_1254603804603066.jpg (19KB, 649x198px) Image search: [Google]
received_1254603804603066.jpg
19KB, 649x198px
Bread anon here
Survived a 250 person brawl in 2nd place, the female leader of the global fighters guild asked me "wanna fuck"
My str is now 24
I'm looking for a wife, do I marry this woman? ( One of my characters goals is to settle down on his place of ancestry, the sword coast)

Our rogue is going to slip our tiefling warlocks love interest a gender swap potion during the king crowns ball. She's an NPC healer from a desert kingdom, royal lineage , etc
(The tiefling is male, the NPC cleric is female)
Then use speech checks on the cleric to convince the now trans cleric to confess her love for the tiefling, while dressed in a flowing ball gown, but with male form
My character is cg, and the rogue can 100% do this without anyone tracing it back to him
Do I interfere??
Pic related, tourney rewards for upcoming rounds and fights
>>
>>50348580
Kobolds.

Tonnes of fucking kobolds.

Strength (and lag) in numbers.
>>
>>50348580
Probably a smaller group of level 20 NPCs built with PC rules with similarly powerful items, a doomsday machine style plot device that can't be solved with throwing a pre-written spell or attack check at it, and a veritable army of lower-CR but still threatening enough to not be oneshot en masse minions to keep tension high but give players the chance to feel powerful as they take down throngs of dudes.
>>
>>50348598
>24 strength already
>those tourney rewards
Are you sure you aren't playing pathfinder?

CGs are absolute faggots so of course you don't interfere
>>
>>50348598
We can't tell you who you can and can't love anon, follow your heart.

It relies on what your character thinks about someone swapping someone's gender against their will. If they were going to do it to your character would he want them to interfere?
>>
>>50348598
I don't think you could ask for a better match. Just make sure she understands that you won't have sex until marriage.

It sounds like the rogue is too canny for you to slip him up, so the best way to resolve the second scenario is for you to slip the tiefling a gender swap potion as well.

While you're at it, try to hook the thief up with someone as well, perhaps the local jail warden dominatrix. Aim for a Shakespearean finale where everyone gets married.
>>
>>50348798

There's no trouble re-fluffing Ray of Frost to be a "bolt of frost", right?
>>
>>50348464
I wanna do a burly Elf Forge Cleric. Are the stat incongruities insurmountable?
>>
>>50348834
If you did point buy or standard array you will feel you aren't doing as well, but with the +1 deal you can bridge the gap so you have +5 like everyone else to
Hit.
>>
>>50348864
Yeah, my group does 30-point buy, so I was looking at:

Str: 15, Dex: 12, Con: 14, Int: 12, Wis: 15, Cha: 8
>>
File: 1451749511057.jpg (99KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1451749511057.jpg
99KB, 1600x1200px
Where can I find fonts for the languages in the PHB like Elvish, Dwarvish, and Draconic?
>>
>>50348464
I would say that he's only a fragment of Azrael. You can tell this to the player up front as a condition to play his character, or during the course of play you can reveal that there are other fragments out there with their own goals and memories.

Or make him a warlock and do >>50348496. Altering his memories was part of the pact he made.
>>
>>50348464
>DM
Yeah, that sounds like it could be fun. I'd probably suggest that he be ~an~ angel of death, though, rather than ~the~.
>>
Does anyone know of a decent 5e Gunslinger homebrew? Either as a class or a Fighter subclass is fine.
>>
>>50348464
Angels don't have dicks or vaginas. Make sure ~he~ keeps this trait.
>>
File: Gunslinger.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Gunslinger.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50349002
>>
File: falconer.jpg (30KB, 564x797px) Image search: [Google]
falconer.jpg
30KB, 564x797px
What is a fun thing to do with a falcon as familiar?
It's supposed to obey the classic rules of Animal Companion (Beastmaster).
>>
What creatures in the MM and Volo's might you find in a tropical/subtropical region? It's not a listed biome in the DMG.
>>
Do you conserve momentum after teleporting?
>>
>>50349074
Have an aerial map of your location, dozens of miles every direction.
Ruin the game exploring everything beforehand and discovering every trap, enemy and place of interest ever without any risk.
>>
>>50349046
Hmm. Doesn't look too bad. Does MAD hurt it at all like it did the Pathfinder one?
>>
>>50348892
Why not play a dwarf, get a proficiency that helps with forgery as part of your race, get the ability to wear heavy armour without bloating up your strength unnecessarily, put your strength value into dex instead, get 16 wis total with 15+1, get great con, keep a decent int, dump cha and become the dorfliest thing around?

It's just the elf idea is a bit too MAD.
You need 15 strength if you want +1 AC, but then you lose the benefits of high dex (which are better than the benefits of high strength), you probably want some level of dex and int if you want to logically make sense as a forgeman, you obviously need wisdom for being a cleric, you need con to not die and .. Nobody cares about charisma.

Yeah, elf would probably be a fun 'fighting the status quo' thing but 5e does its best to encourage characters to make sense.
>>
>>50349112
On portal based teleports.
>>
>>50348954
The Dwarven script is called Dethek.
The Elven script is called Espruar.
Google either of those with "font" and you'll get tons of choices.
>>
>>50349112
Think of it like a ray of light.

If the ray of light would appear to move faster than the speed of light, it does not in fact speed up.
It becomes more blue.

If you teleport while moving, you become blue.
>>
>>50349112
Teleportation carries you through the Astral Plane. Momentum is zeroed on entrance and exit. Other teleportive methods, such as portals, which do not transit through the Astral Plane, will conserve your momentum.
>>
Gonna be rolling a new character in the party. DM and I agreed that I wasn't enjoying wizard. We talked about it and he thinks Cleric would be a good fit for the things I like.
>Greater purpose
>Kindy Healy-Tanky
>Lives by rules/code
And there's some other things but I am just trying to explain it cause people loved Wizards and i think i will get critisized for not enjoying wizards.

Anyways. I need a reason for my Light Cleric to be joining the party.
The sorta Main Character of the campaign, the PC who is most central to the story, has a Investigation Service. His character is Nancy Drew who dresses like a witch and is a GOO Bladelock. His Patron is like...an old god living under, I think trapped under, a mountain.

I was thinking of having my Light Cleric "apply" for a job at her building and have a job interview. I was thinking maybe because I am a Light Cleric and she's a GOO Warlock there is some...Light vs Dark conflict there and maybe my God sent me to this Warlock to get closer to the Patron and do something to inflict my god's justice on this great being living in the deep dark places of the world. But the reason he'll give the warlock in his job interview is that he's a light cleric and wants to "bring light" to the dark places of the world, and when my Cleric is joining the group the party would have just been returning from a dungeon.

Any suggestions? I don't know if this is good or if I am blinded by my own bias. I've never rolled a new character halfway through the campaign, so I don't know what is recommended for such a thing.

Do Cleric Deities speak directly to their followers? Or is it more like...a feeling? How do I describe how my Cleric's god imparted his holy charge onto him?
>>
>>50348464
Tell him there is no God, just gods
>>
File: IMG_0220.jpg (41KB, 354x404px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0220.jpg
41KB, 354x404px
>>50348464
Last week actually

>Phandelver
>confronting Glass Staff and the Bugbear King in the last room in cragmaw castle
>playing war cleric dwarf
>Druid gets mauled by the guard wolf (she and everyone who tried to hit it rolled like ass to the point where I was wondering if the wolf was Neo from the matrix)
>barbarian grabs the bugbear
>I charge the wizard and slash with my long sword
>18, manage to do a good chunk to him
>pop my war priest to attack again
>rolled a 12, decide to use guided strike to hit
>wizard casts shield
>next round
>wizard I can tell is hurting but he goes after me
>roll a fucking 3
>rest of party getting mangled by bugbear and wolf who can dodge fucking bullets apparently
>decide to use my last charge of war priest
>role play: "Anon surveys the fight, and sees that his only chance is to strike with all his might to slay the wizard before he can annihilate his friends. He casts away his shield, forgoing protection in a last ditch effort to slay his foe, using both hands to strike down his enemy"
>nat 20
>roll damage
>max damage
>manage to kill the wizard (by a single point of damage I later found out)
>after another 6 rounds we finally manage to kill the bugbear and wolf, Druid got to 0 and failed twice before I could stabilize
>everyone in single digit health
>limp back home

If glass staff had casted a single offensive spell we would have TPK'd right there and then. Thank god I have incredible luck when it comes to those kinds of situations
>>
>>50349203
I just didn't want to be a stereotypical dorfy dwarf, especially since Elves also have a grand tradition of smithing.

Now, I could possibly consider a Triton, since I really like their fluff, and the stats would mostly line up.
>>
>>50349132
I mean if the falcon dies isn't it kind of a risk? 8 hours to find another one.

Although I might bind myself to another, more useful creature.
>>
>>50348892
You will be fine. Just follow your heart.
>>
>>50349002
Battlemaster + the two renaissance guns in the DMG.
>>
File: dwarfsmith21.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfsmith21.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>50349352
>he thinks folding gold leaf 9 times and asking a tree to sit on it is "smithing"
>>
>>50349352
An elf would likely be more dex-based smithing, which isn't really a heavy armour shindig.
That'd be more of a battlemaster or something elf, though.
>>
>>50349334
Gods don't directly communicate, more you may get a feeling as you said but it is 100% based on the DM. If you want to expect something, expect nothing much. Asking your God or a Divine Proxy a question is a level 4 spell, so typical conversation is kind of overpowered.

Also a GOO isn't necessarily bad, they are just unknown and very powerfully, if you are to investigate the GOO, then maybe it's cause your deity recently found out of them, and is assessing if they are a threat maybe. This warlock and possibly other warlocks of this GOO are of interest so you can learn its intentions.
>>
>>50349292
Thanks
>>
>>50349334
>>50349444
Even if gods don't directly talk to people in D&D, people will still *think* they do. Just look at the real world - people think their deities talk to them all the time, even though there is at most only one correct religion and the rest are all confabulating.

In the case of your cleric, maybe he was broke and not in the best standing with his superiors in his church, he saw that a detective agency was hiring, maybe interpreted (or misinterpreted) some vague light-based imagery he saw on the street or in a dream, and concluded that his god wants him to be a detective for a while.
>>
>>50349104
Frankly, I've always considered goblins to be warm-wet climate natives. Greed leads them into caves/dorf mines. Enlightened gobbos are perfectly content hunt in warm rain and eat fish whole?
>>
>>50349104
Those little poison dart frog guys. They're cute af.
>>
>>50349544
For a moment there you got me really excited thinking grippli were in Volo's Guide.
>>
>>50349444
Gods talk to their followers all the time in FR. I don't know why people have this perception that the Abeir-Torillian Gods are aloof or distant or somehow like the deities of other settings or reality. They've taken mortal form repeatedly, either on their own or through forceful measures, and are always manifesting in one way or another. They hear every time someone mentions their name, see every offering, and have the power (and use it) to aid worshipful followers or dutiful servants of their domains pretty much non-stop.

What the Gods DON'T do is answer you every time you ask them a question. Spells that allow for deific communication aren't the only way to reach a God, they're just a cashing-in of of a token rewarded for past service (you being a Cleric and all; they are deigning to give you limited ability to bother them). Their disdain for answering plainly comes in many flavors, but usually it's either because they don't know (deities aren't omniscient) or they are testing the mortal's ingenuity, faith, courage, drive, whatever. A Good deity might want you to succeed on your own merits so that you grow and become a better follower; an Evil deity might want to see if you're truly worthy of their notice, allowing the weak to weed themselves out through failure.

But the Gods are absolutely everywhere and doing things at all times. A campaign and DMs who do not have Gods subconsciously pushing Clerics around or sending visions to the faithful (which should include the VAST majority of characters, not just Divien casters) is not really doing FR as written.
>>
File: Grung2.jpg (53KB, 600x293px) Image search: [Google]
Grung2.jpg
53KB, 600x293px
>>50349570
Grungs are better.
>>
>>50349444
My DM is pretty hands off with that kinda stuff. He'll just say "sure w/e takes the least amount to time to get things going". Which i think conveys a sense that he wants to be part of play instead of players just talking with each other in-game.

Also i like the "assessing it as a threat" that is way better. Less Black and White. More shades of gray.

>>50349512
Ah okay, so like..."Divining" things in the natural world as signs from his god. That works.

Though he isn't part of a church, he was captured by something with darkvision and thrown into a pitch black dungeon. Then a god led him to safety with some kind of guiding light because he is the "chosen" of this god. And he became a cleric because he didn't ask to be helped, he didn't pray, and the god never "asked" for anything in return. So he really thinks highly of this god, he feels like this god has got his back no matter what. He has trust and faith in his Sunbro God.
>>
>>50349627
Shit, there's a couple Dwarven Gods who spend all their time popping around to various Dwarves in the middle of combat with whatever and empowering them with bestial strength and claws or supernatural awareness and invincible shields for a few rounds at a time. That's their whole day. They've got their big MMO party list of every Dwarf on the planet and they're just checking to see who's in combat at any given moment, seeing what their focus target is, and popping over there to buff them if it's a tough and worthwhile fight.

This is why practically everyone on Faerun is religious. It's not indoctrination from birth, it's not awe of Clerics' abilities; it's because the Gods take a real and active interest in not just their followers', but EVERYONE'S, lives. They are real, doing shit, and everyone knows it. They have to these days, because Ao slapped all the Gods around and said, "Do your jobs right or I'm taking them away."

The remaining atheists, better termed faithless, do not deny their existence--only that such beings are worthy of worship, the same way people generally aren't tripping over themselves to suck on Elminster's dick just because he can do impressive stuff. But, if enough people DID do that, Elminster would pretty much be a god. There's a red dragon who pulled that off; set himself up as a God-King, got enough worshippers, ascended to demigod status, and promptly fucked off (since it was pre-ToT and you could do that).
>>
>>50349663
If you only worship Ao do you still get thrown into that fucking wall when you die?
>>
>>50349695
Yes. Ao doesn't give a fuck about worship, so "worshipping Ao" is basically being faithless.
>>
File: 1475912492786.png (785KB, 768x771px) Image search: [Google]
1475912492786.png
785KB, 768x771px
>>50348464
Forgive me /5eg/, for I have sinned.

I killed a PC on his first session to a save or die last night. I really, really didn't want to, but I had to. It almost turned into a tpk. I felt so bad. He was a good sport about it and still got to participate in most of the session, but still.
>>
>>50349643
That is literally the same backstory as the

I guess people who play clerics are afraid of actually belonging to a church because they're allergic to roleplaying. Kind of the same reason nobody wants to play a devotion paladin. If you want to play a loner murderhobo, you're going to run into the question of "why would I ever go adventuring with these people, and why would they put up with me?"
>>
>>50349695
Yes.

But the Wall is retarded and not necessary. It wasn't always there (or used), and the one time its disuse became a problem was when everyone knew there was going to be zero comeuppance for not giving back to the Gods. In theory, as long as everyone has a reason NOT to be truly Faithless (whether or not their reasoning is true), there's no reason to use the Wall.

Souls can be taken out and put in, and not all souls have to go there to begin with. Devils are always yanking souls from the MP straight to Hell and removing them from the usual cycle of rebirth, but all the other extraplanar entities can do the same shit as well. Faithless, but principled (for good or ill) people can be reincarnated on a plane which matches their alignment in life, outside of that cycle, e.g., a supremely Neutral Good warrior-scholar might be reborn as a fucking Ursine Guardinal (anthropomorphic bear man). Actions which improve a domain's strength also don't necessarily rely on worship of a particular deity, so it is possible for a faithless to feed into a deity's power in a roundabout way without ever actually worshipping that god, which also somewhat satisfies Ao's power feedback loop as designed.
>>
>>50349725
You are weak and uncreative.
Nothing short of a PC wilfully committing suicide in a pool of magma is "I had to".
>>
>>50349788
He watched his party member disintegrate for touching a statue, walked up and did the exact same thing then failed the save.
>>
>>50349725
Save or dies should be extremely rare or preferably non-existent. Why did you "have to"?
>>
>>50349858
Why was there a save or die on this statue? Was there reasonable warning that there was or was it just "fuck you for inspecting my statue"?
>>
>>50349858
The player roleplayed to death. That was his doing, not yours.
>>
>>50349858
Why are you leaving disintegration statues just lyin' around?
>>
>>50349766
So for my character i had this vision in my mind of this large hulking character who is cloaked carrying a lantern in the darkness. I was really inspired by idea of the Lantern Bearer prestige class from Pathfinder.

So I wanted this big character. I didn't want a Half Orc cause I didn't feel like it. And Dragonborn aren't allowed in this setting. So I picked Firbolg partially because it fit and partially because Volo's had just come out and I wanted to use something from that.

My character is a Firbolg, so i gave him the Outlander background because I actually wanted him to be raised by Wolves.

He has a personal code he follows, which is just the "Law of the Wolves" that he follows. You can find it on this wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_jungle

And from there i decided I wanted to play a Light Cleric because it fit quite well with the idea of the Lantern Bearer, and after reading the cleric Spell list, between Continual Flame (totally gonna have a lantern that never goes out) and Spiritual Weapon (just gonna theme it to look like a floating lantern) the Cleric was a no-brainer.

Then from there I had to figure out...how did this basically half giant forest dweller become a light cleric? Especially since in this setting, unless there was some kind of divine intervention, he would have been a Druid.

Secondly, i am rolling this character for 3rd level. So I wanted part of his backstory to realistically award him with enough experience adventuring to be Level 3.

So Divine Intervention from a God of Light and be in a situation that could be, once completed, considered to be equivalent of reaching 3rd level.

He can't just be a Cleric from a church because he would be an Acolyte, not an Outlander so the Law of Wolves kinda doesn't work. I mean...i could just say this church's bible has the Law of Wolves in its scripture, but I don't want to. It seems dumb to me.
>>
>>50350003
>He can't just be a Cleric from a church because he would be an Acolyte
The Background doesn't really need to encompass the entirety of the characters history. He could be from a frontier abbey of that church far off in the wild that he came across (banished from his tribe, wounded, tribe destroyed whatever) and joined the priests there and ended up as a cleric.
>>
>>50350003
Why not savage child raised by wolves, but taken in by a Light priest and his family? A bit cliché but you've got the whole Firbolg/Lantern going on, so your theme & background are far from bland.

It's up to you if the Firbolg goes back to the savage lands at some point in his teens, or if he gets more civilized but still deeply believes in its first code. Or maybe some event makes him go back to the woods, or to this mentality (priest getting killed, or realization that the priest is actually an hypocrit, etc.)

Maybe the guy's crazy and believes the God of Light talks to him, and that's why he killed the priest and his family. They're soft, impure, undeserving - and only the Light Lord's wrath can reveal their true potential. They went like torches, or lanterns in the night.
>>
>>50349334
>Nancy Drew who dresses like a witch and is a GOO Bladelock
Cute
>>
>>50349766

Continued from >>50350003

Additionally, my character is not a murder hobo. His whole quest involves going into the Darkest places of the world and bringing the Light of his god to the dark places of the world. And he is kind of primitive and very literal, he doesn't understand that Light could mean anything besides Brightness. So he goes into dungeons and caverns and leaves a bunch of lit torches everywhere.

And I plan for him to go visit the church of his god. He doesn't know his god is worshipped by other people. So that will be kind of fun to see how this Big giant forest guy raised by wolves interacts with a bunch of flowery priests working in a cathedral of this giant metropolis of a city.

Finally, i think you were ignorant in assuming I am the kind of player who is "allergic to roleplaying" and you didn't even seem to read the other stuff I posted with the other people where we decided that my Light Cleric is investigating this semi-famous warlock in the party whose Patron is a GOO and assessing if it is a threat to "The Light". Additionally, this warlock is basically Nancy Drew who dresses like a witch who is a Detective/Investigator and is going into Dungeons to solve mysteries. So my Cleric wanted to work with her to gain access to these deep dark places.

Additionally, read some of the Law of Wolves. That is not something a Loner would live by.
>For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
>>
>>50350071
That could work. I am having a hard time thinking of why he would believe in this god of light in this circumstance though. Because just living at a church and following the ways of their priests because thats how they live, isn't indicative of being a Cleric in my mind.

A Cleric is devoted, faithful, passionate about their god.
There would need to be a situation where this somewhat primitive guy gains a strong sense of belief in this god of light. And I just went with the path of least resistance to get him into the game.

Oh and I want my cleric to be the "chosen" of this god. Because i like the idea that Gods don't pick their worshippers as their prophets and chosen ones, but rather, they use some unknown means of picking said individuals. Some kind of oracular process that only gods understand. Maybe the person chosen was of the faith, or maybe not.

I could do the exact same thing as i mentioned before, but as the Firbolg is led out of this dungeon and is led to a church. But i kind of think that sucks cause then it conveys this sense that the Firbolg is expected, by this god, to follow and serve. Which is not very god like. Gods don't demand service, Patrons demand service.

It might be that based on some weird light symbols he discovers the church of this god and learned about which god it actually is. And maybe its like the scene in the Lord of the Rings Two Towers movie where Aragorn returns and pushes the door to Theoden at Helm's Deep.
Then the priests and other clerics talk to him and divine that he is the chosen of their god where they provide him with training and knowledge and all that junk to go out and do their lord's bidding.
>>
>>50349858
HAHAHAHAH
what the fuck?
>>
>>50349349
Even with Shield, a 22 should easily hit Glasstaff Anon.
>>
>>50349858
Clearly it's a teleporting statue right.
>>
>>50350492
Imagine your party being chased by an indestructible teleporting statue that disintegrates people.
If you stop to even sleep, it's right there in the middle of your camp when you wake up.
>>
>>50350417
How about this then, as a basic idea that came to when you said
>His whole quest involves going into the Darkest places of the world and bringing the Light of his god to the dark places of the world

Your Firbolgs tribe got destroyed by some shadow/darkness associated creatures, Shadow Fiends, Undead something like that, he survived, probably by not being around at the time or maybe he hid in fear (if you want to give him a moment of weakness to be ashamed about). Its in the middle of a really terrible winter, and he knows he's probably gonna freeze to death if he doesn't find a way to keep himself warm, so he gathers a bunch of scrap together and makes a small "portable fire" (basically a bit of metal/wood scraps to put a small flame inside). Then he sets out to warn other tribes/get the fuck out of here/find those creatures. He assumes his fire will probably not gonna last in the wind and cold, but somehow when he wakes up next day, the fire is still going. So he keeps traveling and no matter how firce the wind or what happens, the fire keeps shining and warmimg him, until he finds a cave that was recently opened by a rockslide or somesuch. He goes down there (probably because he figures its better than out in the blizzard) and its really really dark inside, supernaturally so (the place is basically a shadowfell crossing) but his makeshift lamp somehow drives the supernatural darkness away, and the Firbolg finds a few undead in the cave (probably what destroyed his tribe but maybe just the remnant of it if you want a plot hook for later), he suddenly finds himself being able to cast magic from the lantern and drives outt he undea duntil he finds a ancient shrine at the end of the cave, where he feels himself compelled to re-ignite its altar. BAM. Shadowfell crossing banished, insert appropriate deific vision/visitation/personal revelation. Then he leaves to do the same for other places in the world.
>>
File: come at me homo.png (817KB, 940x704px) Image search: [Google]
come at me homo.png
817KB, 940x704px
Hunter ranger 11/fighter 2 with polearm master.

Have Haste cast on you, then drink a Potion of Giant Size (from SKT) and then have Enlarge cast on you, making you Gargantuan.

As a gargantuan creature, you can have 20 creatures surrounding you (4 on each side plus the corners).

Whirlwind Attack: 20
Action Surge Whirlwind: 40
Horde breaker: 41
Haste attack: 42
PAM: 43

43 attacks in a round.
>>
>>50350540
>jump in the middle of charging army
>have all this, but with tunnel fighter
>mfw
>>
>>50350540
Are you forgetting something anon?
>>
File: dd-bard.jpg (153KB, 600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
dd-bard.jpg
153KB, 600x1131px
Help me bard better.

I use my spells regularly, and my skills are great, but I keep forgetting inspiration and cutting words and stuff. When do you use all the non-spell Lore Bard stuff?
>>
>>50350576
Bugbear reach doesn't affect whirlwind attack, which specifies creatures within 5 feet.
>>
File: Bugbears.jpg (51KB, 622x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbears.jpg
51KB, 622x600px
>>50350589
Oh okay, Have some Bugbear tits.
>>
I also have a bard question.
A player wants to go full support and asked if a bard is good for that.
Any suggestions for him for spells and which bard college to pick?
>>
>>50350636
Lore, or Glamour if he wants to go super charm pacafist.
>>
I'm at a bit of a loss on the Ability Score Increase for a race I'm homebrewing for a character.
Its supposed to be a kind of "Tiefling" just for a racde of Shadowfell inhabitng insectiod monster rather than Devils/Demons.
Ancestors made a pact with them/bred with them/enslaved by them, haven't decided, doesn't even really matter that much at this point.
I'm just not sure what kind of Ability scores would make the most sense for a Shadowfell alien bug person race.
All the "weird" races seem to get Charisma (Tieflings, Dragonborn, Yuan-Ti, you name it), so that feels like it should be there.
On the other hand, for balance purposes I had initially considered using the alt. Tiefling features (Feral and Wings mostly), which would be 2Dex, 1Int.
I had considered going 1Cha, 1Dex, 1Int, but since its going to be a Bard, that feels too much like the race is tailor made for Bards when it should be a unusual and unheard of thing for the race.
>>
>>50350636
Yes, it's fine. It works just as well as a cleric or druid as a primary healer. He probably wants the College of Lore, since the College of Valor is both weaker and focused on hitting things with swords. Spells he can probably figure out for himself as long as he takes Healing Word.
>>
>>50349872
An absolute shit load. Sand all over the place in front of the statue in a dungeon that was nothing but trap after trap, this room was eerily devoid of the typical precautions they'd been encountering, almost like they weren't necessary. The first pc to touch it made a save (it was basically just a free pass to warn them.)
On the pass he felt an incredibly powerful force pushing him apart, he managed to power through it and pried one of the ruby eyes out of the statue.

He then went right back in for round two, critical failing the save, Disintegrating him.

The other guy watched then proceeded to go, pick up the ruby that had been pried out and dropped by the now pile-of-sand rogue and started trying to jam it back into the eye socket. He then failed the (super low) save for touching the statue.

It was literally just a statue that did disintegrate on touch. Nothing else. In a dungeon that was traps galore and they knew that.
>>
>>50350540
Not sure how PAM will help.

PAM provides a bonus attack if you take the ATTACK action, which does not apply in this case. It'd only hit one creature anyway.
PAM provides a reaction attack, which only hits one creature a round.

That's a creature use of enlarge person, though.
>>
>>50350743
Ah shit, my bad.

Replace that with GWM, then. With 42 other attacks one of them is bound to crit.
>>
File: ZsoLBkE-.jpg (7KB, 172x172px) Image search: [Google]
ZsoLBkE-.jpg
7KB, 172x172px
>>50350677
They sound like cockroach people - hardy insectoid survivors with limited flight who've been living underneath the cosmic refrigerator. They should get Con and never, ever, ever get Cha. Any other score would make more sense for them than Cha.

Monster races don't get Cha just for being monsters - they either possess a certain kind of majestic bearing (dragonborn) or have a culture based entirely around intimidation (drow) or infiltrating human civilization (tieflings, yuan-ti purebloods.) Downtrodden scavengers from a lightless hellscape don't really fit either of those bills.
>>
>>50349349
It takes an action to doff a shield.

A 12 already hits Glasstaff without Guided Strike, and a 22 hits him even with Shield.

Your DM was freeforming to make you feel powerful, your die rolls were irrelevant.
>>
>>50350779
>Downtrodden scavengers
They're not really downtrodden scavangers and
>culture based entirely around intimidation (drow)

Could apply just as well, but I see your point about Constitution, what would you think is the best secondary/primary stat then, Dexterity or Intelligence?
>>
>>50350793
Dropping a shield for free is mild DM handwavium.
Shield blocking the Guided strike is a bit much though but I could imagine it being a genuine mistake, I've played with more than one caster who responded to a "22 to hit." with "Oh, I cast Shield." and "Doesn't Shield only put your AC to 21?".
>>
>>50350840
Either of those. Really depends on what classes you want them to be good at.

Please, please have them based on Kafka and German expressionism.
>>
>>50350864
>Really depends on what classes you want them to be good at.
I was kinda trying to avoid that sort of mindset specifically, but I guess I go with Intelligence if I emphasize the harsh survival necessities of the Shadowfell with Consitution primary.
Thanks for the inspiration.
>>
>>50350755
Yeah, that'll work.

Get GWF and use a 2d6 weapon for extra damage.

If I remember right, that'll average 8.33 per 2d6.

Would be better if your DM allows you to add GWF to any damage dice given from an attack.
>>
>>50350793
What are you on about?

The wording is you have to use guided strike before you know whether it hits. After my modifiers and everything it was still 12 so I channel divinity'd to get to 22

And as for shield dropping I basically just kinda let it go. In my mind at least an Action to doff the shield would be like taking the time to actually set it down or something where as I just let it go. It's not RAW but it gave me some cool RP so whatever
>>
>>50350579

Why are there no cool Bard Images. Every one I see they either like like raging homosexuals or pedophiles??
>>
Okay so in our group here, we're struggling to find a 5th player. Me as DM, im more used to playing by Premade adventures (haven't had a group last long enough yet) so im used to the Adventurer's league stuff thats balanced for 5 players. Is it a big thing to balance it for 4 players or is it just something easy like removing a creature or so?
>>
File: Vainamoinen.jpg (2MB, 1692x2264px) Image search: [Google]
Vainamoinen.jpg
2MB, 1692x2264px
>>50350997
>>
File: nepYSpj[1].jpg (159KB, 850x425px) Image search: [Google]
nepYSpj[1].jpg
159KB, 850x425px
>>50351083
>>
File: Tuvix.jpg (15KB, 220x184px) Image search: [Google]
Tuvix.jpg
15KB, 220x184px
Hey /5eg/
I want your advice on an idea I think could be fun. Basically I'm wondering if it's possible to fuse a player character with an NPC for a period of time without totally destroying player agency.

Here's the situation: The party in the campaign I'm currently DMing has a set of sending stones that let them teleport from one to the other. However, the stones are slightly on the fritz and have about a 1 in 10 chance of malfunctioning, so naturally they haven't been used very much.

Currently, the party is in the midst of a caper that involves kidnapping a noblewoman from a heavily guarded fortress. Their plan that they mean to enact at the beginning of our next session, on Monday, is to have the party Paladin grab the noble, drag them in to the portal stone with them and then have the hidden Warlock disappear the stone to prevemt chase and regroup where the other stone is stashed miles away.

To add a wrinkle to the situation I thought it would be fun if the transportation fused the paladin and the NPC in to one character, forcing the players to find a way to extract them in order to complete the kidnapping (pic related). I guess my question to you is, what's the best way to represent this mechanically? Should I just make a new character sheet for the ostensibly new person and give that to the paladin? I don't expect the change to last more than a session or two. How can I make the change fair to the player while still making it a fun and interesting challenge?

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
>>
>>50351000

All the official campaigns are balanced around a 4 player party.
>>
I'm planning a campaign in a sparsely populated wilderness with a few towns scattered across it. I want to make journeys through the forests/tundras/whatevers fun and perilous and all that good shit, but i dont want to make them hunt for food or anything like that. Any tips for that? Wildlife encounters, inclement weather, just something more engaging than "ok you go there, five hours later".
>>
Is it worth trading my Helm of Brilliance away on my monk for something like a Staff of Thunder and lightning? Inclined to say 'no' but there are some pretty sweet Very Rare items out there. My only other item is a Gulthias Staff.
>>
>>50350997
I liked that one because he looked like Uncle Sam.
>>
>>50349112
Along this line, I was wondering if you can teleport into or out of a prone position.
>>
>>50351203
Tome of understanding could help you a bit with wisdom, but make sure you have your bracers of wisdom and maybe a cloak of displacement to make your good defenses even better.
>>
>>50351167
Oh really? Im so used to 5man parties here though so i thought it would be hard to re-balance
>>
>>50351298

This question has come up a lot in my games. A player wants to Misty Step and then stand upright during the teleport. I haven't seen an official answer, and we usually just say sure, makes sense. If you can teleport up, down, and around things, changing your position from laying to standing isn't a big stretch, but still.
>>
File: 1474587740848.png (168KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1474587740848.png
168KB, 657x527px
>tfw Paladin from Thay
>Lawful Good
>have slaves that follow me because I believe in slavery
>treat them well
>party members keep saying I should fall
>mfw

Just because I was born in Thay doesn't make me evil
>>
>>50351417

Slavery is pretty much considered a Lawful Evil kind of thing. You could maybe twist it to be LG if your character was trying to save them and keep them from a worse fate, and treated them pretty well. "believing' in slavery is a pretty strong swerve towards evil.
>>
>>50351417
Sounds like a good opportunity for a character arc if you ask me. Slavery's inherently evil, but if it's how you think the world works, you're not really evil, just misguided. Struggles between what's right and what you know always make for good drama, and sounds like a good way to make a paladin interesting.

Unless your god likes slavery, then you're just fucked.
>>
Just made a character with random dicerolls for a one off game. My stats are 14, 11, 10, 9, 7, 7.

I'm going to play it anyway for the lols. Can I actually stand a chance in combat or will I be totally screwed?
>>
>>50351358
I would wager, yes. You can teleport yourself and rotate yourself 90 degrees.

However, simply rotating yourself 90 degrees from a prone position isn't the same as standing firmly upright.

It will take some slight measure of effort to right yourself from a swiftly turned slump to a standing position, I'd say about half your movement.
>>
>>50351438
That's quite narrow-minded. Don't believe for a second that modern morality is the final word.

A paladin can think along the lines of "you are weak, and will stay weak, but I'm here, so I shall protect you as your master from those that would exploit you" and that's perfectly fine for cultures that never codified universal human rights.
>>
>>50351417
Actually, in a system of objective morality, that's exactly how it works.
>>
>>50351417
I'm confused by this, the inherent morality of your actions isn't a criteria for 5e Paladins anyway, the only question is if it violates your Oath. If you're, say a Paladin of Vengeance, there is nothing about this that should make you fall.
>>
>>50351438
>>50351417
For whatever it's worth, Gygax maintained that paladins could keep slaves, and AD&D paladins had a much stricter code than 5e.
>>
>>50351470
>>50351417
I like it, especially if you're using the Noble retainers background. Gives you nice roleplay options and someone to look after your wagon.
>>
>>50351438
>>50351457
It depends, I would say that slavery as a punishment is not evil.
Hell, I would pick a few years off slavery over getting my hand chopped off.
As long as we don't get into race and born into slavery, we should be fine.
>>
>>50351417
>>50351486
Actually looking more carefully at the Oaths, none of them inherently oppose slavery at all. I can even see that having a very interesting dynamic with being a Paladin of Devotion.
>>
>>50351465
human variant dex fighter, use a bow
>>
>>50350576
>Gargantuan bugbear
>Stab someone on the other side of the world
>>
>>50351470

D&D doesn't really do moral relativism though. Pretty much every slaver race/culture is some form of evil. Grung, Illithids, Aboleths, Yuan-Ti, and so on. Blame D&Ds alignment system not 'modern morality'. Personally I just don't like slavery in my games but it's your DMs call.
>>
hey /tg/,
do metallic dragons ever live together?
im making a camaign where the PCs help bronze dragons convert desert into a huge inland sea. i want them to be opposed to a ancient chromatic dragon.
>>
>>50351591
Then do that. I don't see any problem.
>>
>>50351556
>Lunge forward, backstabbing some punk on the otherside of the planet.
>Suddenly take 20d6 critical damage with an assassinate clause.
>Et tu, Me.
>>
>>50351591

Metallics are more likely to do it than chromatics, I don't really see a problem with it.
>>
>>50351591
That's fine, especially if they're a family.
>>
Forge cleric makes me sad I'm a forever DM. I wish it wasn't so loaded down with passive abilities though.
>>
>>50351636
Assassinate wouldn't work unless you succeeded a stealth check against yourself.
DM:'Okay, you rolled stealth. What's your perception?'
.. You have gained a surprise round. You are surprised. You cannot take actions on your own surprise round.
>>
>>50351465
Something that hangs out in the back so yeah bow fighter or ranger.
>>
>>50351465
If you go druid, you should still be pretty functional.
>>
>>50351438
Not arguing DnD moral absolutes, but why should slavery be inherently evil? It isn't any different than any other person in a shitty position within a social order. Is living off the work of peasants evil? What about wage slaves who are paid mostly in company credits that can be used for company housing and buying stuff at company stores?

Honestly taking part in existing social orders shouldn't be evil, actively opposing them can be good, and actively supporting or partaking in them might be evil, but simply taking part in the social contract itself shouldn't be evil.

Hell many slaves in ancient Rome were better off than lower class people today, they could be paid, they could buy their freedom or simply be granted their freedom, and many were close confidants of their masters. If nothing else slavery offers job security which is always nice, a paid worker can be fired and find himself without work and with no source of money, a well treated slave will always have a bed to sleep in and a full belly.
>>
Hey guys, I need your input

When I run CoS I'm probably going to have Strahd show up a couple times after the PCs start doing stuff around Barovia, first they'll only get glimpses of him, they are being stalked; then he'll actually introduce himself and taunt the party.

Thing is, I'm thinking of replacing one of his spells with (or simply adding) Alter Self, so he can show up as a "holy knight", who keeps the visor of his helmet down most of the time to hide horrible scars he got from fighting a terrible monster. He'd say he was brought in through the mists, and he'd help the PCs and bring them hope. Then, at some point, he'd get bored of toying with them, stab the nearest NPC (probably Ismark), shout "Fools! There is no hope in my realm!", turn into a bat and fly away.

Does this break the lore in any significant way?
>>
>>50351992
>>50351465
Actually honestly anything aside from monk and you should be fine. Rogue and ranger are iffy.

Rogue is a bit iffy, but most of their damage comes from stealth rather than sneak attack. However, low stats means low AC and HP, so only at level 5 where they get uncanny dodge.

Most other classes can still perform a role. Many casters aren't entirely reliant on their modifier to use spells with some spells completely ignoring such, and can often hang at the back line, provide utility or have spells that deal half damage even if they fail.

Druid and barbarian are going to be tanky anyway.

Fighter is only okay because they can get heavy armour. Paladin might be acceptable if just aim for heavy armour and bashing things. Smites always hit and always deal same damage damage and lay on hands is consistent. Just don't expect aura of protection to help much.
Ranger seems a very iffy choice. Monk is just suicide.
>>
File: 2016-11-22 12.46.36.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-22 12.46.36.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>50350997
I drew this for you just now, is this a cool bard? It's like a half-elf lemmy kilmeister.
>>
If I make a tricksy firbolg archfey warlock, will I basically always be a shit wizard with cool lore or will I excel at doing anything unique?
>>
>>50352107
Well first Disguise Self is the spell you are looking for, second nah it seems pretty good, toying with them, getting to know the party:

So he can choose his favorite to replace him.

That sounds fun it makes the PCs actually not like him.
>>
>>50352107
>Thing is, I'm thinking of replacing one of his spells with (or simply adding) Alter Self, so he can show up as a "holy knight", who keeps the visor of his helmet down most of the time to hide horrible scars he got from fighting a terrible monster. He'd say he was brought in through the mists, and he'd help the PCs and bring them hope. Then, at some point, he'd get bored of toying with them, stab the nearest NPC (probably Ismark), shout "Fools! There is no hope in my realm!", turn into a bat and fly away.

I mean Strahd is too arrogant to really do something like that. But if you want him to do it, just have him show up as Argynvhost and lead the PCs to Argynvostholt for the big reveal.
>>
File: doogs.jpg (39KB, 476x319px) Image search: [Google]
doogs.jpg
39KB, 476x319px
>>50352126
Nice.
>>
>>50352104
>but why should slavery be inherently evil?
Because it means to degrade a person to an object, therefore violating their dignity.
Which makes it inherently evil for the same reason torture is inherently evil. You are doing something ina certain way to no other puprose than making someone else more miserable. You could easily have that person as a employed servant and not rob them of their dignity and freedoms as a person, you (or your society) goes out of its way to do so. Thus evil.

Now, you re saying "But you don't need to treat them like a object!", which is true, but also meaning you are not treating them like a slave rendering the question obsolote.
A slave is not a person, and has no rights as a person. You may GIVE him rights, but inherently by the social and legal standards of that society he isn't entitled to any.
A serf, for example, in difference is a person who has been given restrictions, which might seem functionally similar, but is in effect a huge difference when it comes to social expectations and perceptions.
>>
>>50352206

Are you really ignoring the part about wage slavery and the rest of what that guy said? Because until you address that, what you said doesn't really hold much weight.
>>
>>50352241
>Are you really ignoring the part about wage slavery and the rest of what that guy said?
I adressed it though, right here:
>A serf, for example, in difference is a person who has been given restrictions, which might seem functionally similar, but is in effect a huge difference when it comes to social expectations and perceptions.
A wage slave is not comparable to a slave, because he's a person who has been robbed of rights, but he is by all accounts and in the social perception, a person.
Thats the difference between a slave and anyone else in a shitty social position.
>>
>>50352104
>Honestly taking part in existing social orders shouldn't be evil

While true (to a degree) in the real world in D&D societies can just be intrinsically evil. A mind flayer happily participating in mind flayer society is just going to be intrinsically evil given the actions you have to be comfortable with to do so. Gnolls are 100% pure evil and there's no way to participate in their society without also being the darkest kind of chaotic evil. Within the context of D&D there is no way to both be participating in gnoll society and also be good.

As for slavery, >>50352206 covered it pretty well.
>>
>>50352104
>What about wage slaves who are paid mostly in company credits that can be used for company housing and buying stuff at company stores?
Are you saying a company that deliberatly uses the desperation of others to force them into abusive dependency is not evil?
>>
>>50352126
You must be a fan of Milo Manara's line work, yes?
>>
What are a few good gods for a NG cleric travelling around the rural areas of Faerun healing the sick, blessing farmland, dealing with minor evil nuisances? I considered Eldath (but it's too pacifist for a pc) and Chauntea (but can they really just go around adventuring? Feels like they should stick to a community and help farming), what are some others?
>>
>>50352399
Whats wrong with Lathander?
>>
>>50352364
I think I've seen some of his stuff before. If you're saying that reminded you of his work, then thanks!
>>
>>50352432
Nothing, I just had a very rustic character concept in mind and the morning guy didn't even cross my mind. Are his cleric supposed to just wander around? I seem to remember the church was pretty organized and hierarchical.
Regardless, what are a few more alternatives? I want to have some choice.
>>
>>50352475
>Are his cleric supposed to just wander around?
All clerics I think, can be assumed to be supposed to wander around.
They're different from regular priests and I don't think they (often) have a good excuse to restrict their work for their god to a single area.
They are the deities special operatives, so even a Cleric of Chauntea would be expected to travel around take care of many communities and the concerns of chauntea across the land, rather than "wasting" their abilities in a single place, unless that place is so hugely favoured by and important to the deity to warrant such special attention.

I dunno, we got all the big ones, for a more unusual approach Deneir and Gond might work, if you focus on "improving" the communities in other ways.
Sune could work too.
>>
File: bronze dragon.jpg (74KB, 1070x746px) Image search: [Google]
bronze dragon.jpg
74KB, 1070x746px
ok /tg/ this is the campaign im planning for players, do you think it would be fun?
>merchant takes PCs to desert oasis to establish outpost/shortcut across desert trade route
>seaserpent attacks!
>wtf seaserpent in the desert?
>investigate
>follow stream to desert canyon
>follow canyon river
>find merfolk village lying along river bank
>wtf desert merfolk?
>side quests in town / quest hub area
>tasked with finding the source of the strange sea monster that live in the river
>travel upstream
>find water temple
>water temple has a portal to the deep ocean / plane of water and it is pumping water into the canyon
>find ancient bronze dragon in temple
>its friendly and is trying to convert the desert into a lush area for animals and people to live in
>do more quests to add monster filter to portal
>do quests to add trade routes to the town
>do quests to expand town
>all this stuff attracts ancient blue dragon
>fight his minions and plans

is it shit /tg/?
>>
>>50352635
I quite like it, could be good :). Seeing the town get bigger and better will be satisfying.
>>
>>50352635
Just get rid of the powerful bronze dragon. Either he'll help with everything and steal the thunder from the PCs, or he won't help and he'll look like a douchebag. Just have this fragile society dependent on a portal that is also killing them with monsters, and nobody to turn to for help but the PCs themselves.
>>
>>50352635
It may be fun to your players, but don't get upset if they don't feel like it.

I've given mine a few opportunities to have something they can call their own and to improve it, and they never seemed to actually care. Lots of time can go into preparing for these kinda things, and be thrown away once you realize that's not what they're looking for.

Obviously this is a standard DM thing but I say: don't go ahead of yourself, they might just say "eh, good luck" to the bronze dragon and just gtfo.
>>
>>50352635
I agree with >>50352875. Or just don't make it an ancient bronze dragon. Could be a naive youngling that's just trying to do some good.
>>
>>50352875
so i got a plan for that, the water temple is a ancient astronomy thing and the dragon is busy do astronomer stuff to keep the portal open so he cant help. the temple is basically a machine and he has to maintain it. or something.... or its obsessed with doing astromoer stuff for the draconic prophecy from eberron so it cant help

i want the dragon their so that he can eventually be killed by the blue dragon and the PCs are alone without their mentor and are like oh shit now what!!! then they have to hunt it down and kill it themselves
>>
Anyone know how much scrolls cost to buy from Fei Chen in the Adventurer's League? I'm trying to get a scroll of True Polymorph for my transmutation wizard so I can be a dragon forever.
>>
>>50352635
Unlike the others, keep the dragon but make it a very foolish dragon.

It's young, rebellious and doesn't realize that its actions have consequences beyond its scope of vision. Turning a desert to lush land somehow may hurt the overall land.

Make it so that things could go either way, with the 'stay desert' and 'get rid of desert' route.
Make it so players can defeat the dragon if they want (but it's not very easy and will likely result in a few deaths if they don't take it strategically or in a chivalrous manner that would make the dragon spare them).

Then, don't just have 'wtf sea serpent investigate'
Three clues rule.

Seaserpent attacks, but even if they choose to ignore it they'll soon notice other signs of water creatures.
The world around them will be disturbed and they'll be driven to investigate sooner or later, without being forced into it.

While investigating, there should be multiple clues. If they go downstream, they might even see a portal out at sea that seems to be sucking in water, or a whirlpool.
If they go upstream, they'll find the source.
If they go at a tangent, there may be small lakes forming, or natives who seem to know what's up.

Less railroad, more a bunch of branching paths formed due to an event that eventually lead back to one or two events.

Town development is a good idea depending on player choices, though.
>>
>>50352942
That's planning way, WAY too far ahead. The PCs will throw a wrench in your plans in ways you can't even imagine before then.

Also, the PCs will not mourn the loss of an asshole who could have helped them on all those adventures but never did. They will not feel less secure after losing someone who absolutely refused to provide any security. You want this dragon to be your Gandalf or Obi-Wan, but Gandalf and Obi-Wan actually did shit.

Just have the temple with the portal be some magic superstructure built by an ancient civilization who aren't around to help fix it.
>>
File: red-box.jpg (80KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
red-box.jpg
80KB, 800x400px
I posted before about a chose your own adventure 5e thing. To all the forever DMs or those that just want to crack a school here is a first, very small playtest.

It's meant to be played by a stat array character that has no gear or no spell slots. It will probably be tailored around the traditional 4 classes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R7zpK4pVIcEocjtFI8gTPk1_ijVnlKRB8C_WCpe0qEM/edit?usp=sharing

P.S.: No dragon encounter included.
>>
File: rts.jpg (30KB, 432x265px) Image search: [Google]
rts.jpg
30KB, 432x265px
>>50352942
>I want a powerful NPC with some arbitrary constraint that stops them from helping who gets all buddy-buddy with the players but then another powerful NPC comes along and kills them whether the player likes it or not

Also I hope you're either seriously dyslexic or a foreigner.

As said above, never take any player actions for granted and instead of forcing players to make those choices a certain way, plan for what happens if things go either way.

You don't need solid plans, just plans laid out just far enough ahead you won't get lost.

Also, if you're going to do anything that's out of the player's control, there must be a reason for it. Say, BBEG coming along and slaughtering townsfolk might have the meaning of 'We're so weak and hopeless, we need to get stronger so you can prevent this from happening ever again!' whereas a big bad dragon coming and killing some dragon you may or may not care about is more like 'Eh, okay, let's go do something else.' or 'Okay, we're weak, but it's a fucking dragon, so let's just not and let's go have dinner.'
>>
File: UA_Bard.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA_Bard.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I know we're in the Cleric UA but what did you guys think of the Bard UA before that?
I'm filling WotC's survey and seeing if I'm missing anything.
>>
>>50351417
So here's the deal. Slavery is an inherently Evil institution. That's got nothing to do with how your character thinks about it. Your character can still be Lawful Good, but understand that you distinctly tow the line of neutrality because of your willful participation in the institution of slavery.

That said, unless you're a Devotion paladin who worships a god of freedom and civilization, owning slaves doesn't violate ANY of the currently existing Sacred Oaths.

So you shouldn't fall. But you should be aware that you're less capital-G Good than you are just "good."
>>
>>50348496
Or you could just let him play a fallen aasimar, letting him keep his chuuni backstory and stop being a scrub
>>
>>50351438
>>50351457
Djinn keep slaves, and they're chaotic good.
What exactly makes slavery an inherently evil thing?
Slavery might be inherently bad, but bad and evil are two different things.
>>
>>50353163
>Djinn keep slaves, and they're chaotic good.
Someone can commit evil acts without being evil

>What exactly makes slavery an inherently evil thing?
Has been covered multiple times by this point, the fact that you go out of your way to rob a person of personal freedom. They could serve you just fine not being slaves, you reduce their quality of life for no purpose but your personal gain.
>>
>>50350518
I believe anon meant a statue that teleports those that touch it elsewhere, rather than disintegrating them
>>
>>50353120
Glamour is pretty cool, synergizes really well with itself. Whispers has a great thematic, but its features are less useful, in my honest opinion.
>>
>>50351137
If you really want to go through the trouble, you could make something like a gestalt, or you could just narrate it through roleplay and not actually change any stats on paper.
>>
>>50353120
>>50353278
Yea that's my thoughts, although Whispers can be pretty fucking fun along with a Rogue Mastermind in a very intrigue-heavy campaign. I wanna run one of those.

I'd homerule that Venomous Words should be 1 minute instead of 10 since you must have the person all for yourself to use it, along with the other restrictions.

Mantle of Whispers is cool but interaction with size is just weird, same with the pretty random +5 to Deception (I guess to stack with charming effects?).

Shadow Lore is not great. I woulda gone with something simpler.
>>
ok so this is horse shit

>half Orc Barbarian tries to murder priest in town
>try to talk him out of it
>has none of it
>use suggestion on him
>reason that the priest is weak and let's go eat a feast that I'll pay for
>works
>on our way to the inn he argues with me for using magic on him to control him and he's mad
>he rolls intimidate, nat20, that is a thing apparently
>I explain how my character takes his intimidate check and threat seriously
>DM:not good enough, you piss your pants and cower in fear
>barb: you controlled my character, now I get to control yours
>whatever, apparently my wizard is afraid of this barbarian what the fuck ever
>weeks later IRL
>everyone is shopping in town
>i find a rundown shop that I detected magic on, kill a wraith
>receive amulet that gives me 1/month conjure greater demon
>later on barbarian wants it
>tell him to fuck off
>rolls intimidate, gets advantage because I'm so scared
>passes, whatever, my character is so scared now
>fight or flight it is then
>roll initiative
>illusory self procs when he goes first
>dominate person
>command him to stand still
>my character is so afraid, he has to conquer his fears and see them gone
>slit his throat, fails save, finger of death
>animate his body and command it to walk north and don't ever stop
>party is still unaware
>guy is legit pissed off at me, DM too
>I am a murder hobo they say
>>
>>50353430
Find a new group, anon. It's the only way.
>>
>>50353430

The DM's ruling on all of that was shit and they should have stepped in much sooner but generally straight up murdering another player out of petty vindictiveness is a pretty shit move on your part.

But move on, group sounds bad.
>>
>>50353430
Oh, great, more of this 'intimidate works on players' shit.

You're all shit, you and the barbarian and the DM, probably.

The DM saying 'You have to conquer your fears' sounds a lot like 'please don't do this I'll make you do a save to prevent you having freedom'.
>>
>>50353520
I turned the other cheek and brought it up with the DM several times in private, the barbarian kept using that check and much to my chagrin I just let it go because the other players would sigh and get passive aggressive for slowing the game down. Suggestion was the only offensive spell I cast on any party member and that was to prevent him from getting us hunted down and executed by guards.

So he demands the only good item I've gotten this campaign and rolls to basically mind control my character and steal it. The DM even fucking says I'm so afraid, so I twist the DMs words and threaten to roll initiative. DM says go ahead, chuckling and thinking the barbarian is just going to kill me because he is right in front of me.

Fuck em
>>
>>50350734
There is no such thing as critical failing a save.

Both those players are dumb though.
>>
>>50349149
5e are mostly good.
PF classes are good or downright terrible. People erroneously believes PF gives a ton of options. This isn't true because a great many of those options are fucking terrible or traps. The PF gunslinger is completely bad and really should've been remade.
>>
>>50353592
Here's what you do:
Make a character focused on getting absolutely fucking ridiculous intimidate rolls.

Intimidate everybody all day to mind control them all.
>>
If you're two-weapon fighting with extra attack, can you choose which hand the second attack is with?
>>
>>50353339
It really rubs me the wrong way that to assume a creature's persona you have to actually kill them (or be next to them when they die, point is, they need to be dead). Some spy.
>>
>>50353242
My father had some stories about this sort of thing, back from AD&D.

>new monsters released
>players read book
>'there's this one monster that threatens to disintegrate people but instead it just teleports them out'
>the players just so happen to encounter this guarding a library
>'please do not enter, go away'
>players all dance around, moon at it and generally make fun of it as the proceed to ignore it with the incentive of 'yeah, go ahead and teleport us out again!'
>the lucky ones were hauling ashes back to town for ressurection after that
>>
>>50353608
That'd be... Bard college of glamour with expertise in Intimidation, right ? Using Enthralling Performance to charm people, grabbing advantage on Charisma checks. Then what?
>>
>>50349544
>>50349570
Those cute little poison dart frogs want to enslave/take over the world.

Actually, has anyone run a campaign involving cute but horrifically evil races who use their adorableness, their natural charisma and skill at diplomacy to enslave the world?
>>
>>50353667
Cuteness does not work against players.
>>
>>50353608
YES.
>>
>>50353664
At the very least expertise can get you a certain amount.

Rogue gets 'reliable talent' which allows them to always get 10

Lore bard gets the ability to add bardic inspiration to their own rolls, I believe

I can't remember what glamour does with regards to that.

A level 11 rogue, however, is GAURANTEED to always roll 18+CHA MOD or higher.

And there's almost no dedication required for them to achieve that, either. They get that just for being a rogue.

You can also obtain guidance.

Guidance is a +1d4, and only requires a level in cleric or druid or magic initiate or the help of a cleric or druid or whatever.
Heck, you can even get it with magical secrets on bard if you're super desperate.
>>
>>50351137
Give the PC general agency but if they do something the noblewoman finds really objectionable have wisdom or charisma check contested roll. Use the original pally stats and that of the noblewoman to see who's power of will comes through and then roll for what the woman might do. You could a d8 for just running in a direction or if you want to make the effort, draw up a table like wild magic surge except its just actions such as trying to attack a party member or shouting in her voice for help
>>
Experienced DMs: is there a good tool, formula, or even checklist for scaling monsters up or down to suit a party? I want to do stuff like scale a Beholder in its lair down to a level 8 party of 4, or scale some goblins up to be more challenging. I want to do it consistently/evenly though, rather than just buffing or nerfing HP
>>
>>50349046
>No rapid reload until level 15
into the trash it goes
>>
>>50353781
I believe DMG has guidelines but what's the matter with throwing them a Beholder, as-is ?
>>
>>50348464

Playing through Strahd, our party was working through Argynvostholt. We used Fly to skip the second story completely, and basically walked right into the boss fight. By the end of everything, it was down to me (monk) and our wizard. We had 11HP total between us and the boss was still standing. I take my turn and... miss with everything. Wizard takes a fire bolt shot and rolls a nat 20, blowing the boss away. Closest to a TPK I've come in a long time.
>>
>>50353781
The dmg has monster math for all crs. Change that, then do your best to make it an interesting fight.
>>
>>50353684
PCs always get disadvantage.
>>
>>50353831
>>50353897
Thanks anons. I thought that was more for creating monsters from scratch.
Wouldn't a Beholder, as is, completely bumfuck them?
>>
File: 1985726-inquisitor3.jpg (115KB, 1196x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1985726-inquisitor3.jpg
115KB, 1196x1920px
Anyone got a homebrew Inquisitor/Monster Hunter class? Looking for one for my campaign setting.
>>
>>50353980
Maybe. I'm honestly not sure. But if you modify these iconic monsters you run the risk of your players getting used to cocooning.

And you can always fudge HP and dice if the narrative isn't going in the direction you want - like if they are just going to get unfairly raped.

Maybe the Beholder should have motives on his own, and instead of having a "kill me" sign, could let them live if they agree to one request. Beholders are evil, but they're also really fucking smart and conniving.

Try to think of monsters outside of their stat boxes.
>>
>>50354025
Ua has both.
>>
>>50354089
Monster Hunter UA is pretty fucking good, but isn't Inquisitor a Rogue archetype, and a shitty one at that?
>>
That new forge domain for clerics looks pretty awesome. Looking forward to when its AL legal.
>>
>>50352330
>Are you saying a company that deliberatly uses the desperation of others to force them into abusive dependency is not evil?
I'm saying its no less evil than conventional evil and likely more evil. My point is that slavery is simply a social order, to call it evil simply due to the fact that it lowers the quality of life for some or removes the freedom of some shouldn't make the social order itself inherently evil.

If a paladin defends a country that drafts the lower classes to fight in wars does he fall? At least working slaves aren't expected to fight and/or die unlike conscripts or peasant levies. If a society follows a caste system must a paladin attempt to destabilize the caste system or fall because a caste system is inherently evil? Is capitalism inherently evil because the potential of men is decided by the wealth of their parents? Was the Austro-Hungarian Empire evil for ruling over Serbs and Croats without giving them significant political sway? What about Yugoslavia with non-Serbs? Must every country be divided into neat little countries based on ethnicity but at the same time not forbid migrants of different ethnicities?

IMO unless the paladin actively commits acts of evil he won't fall. If slavery is the norm owning slaves won't make him fall, actively enslaving innocent people might though and abusing his slaves for little or no reason probably will make him fall.
>>
>>50352942
>dragon is needed to keep portal open
>dragon is killed
>portal is still open
this option is illogical and the other is shit
>>
>>50351470
I come from Britain, we don't have codified human rights and slavery was first banned here.
Beyond that evil and good in dnd are substitutes for selfishness and selflessness, and there's no way you can say that slave ownership isn't selfish, as the whole "They're safer with me" argument doesn't really make a case for their continued slavery.
>>
>>50354153
>My point is that slavery is simply a social order
No its not. Thats not even a correct usage of the term "social order", its a part of the social order, if you mean that, but thats completly irrelevant to the question at hand. Slavery is inherently evil, people practicising slavery are not necessarily evil nor are societies who practice is, Neutral societies, afterall, exist.
You can even be Lawful Good and participate in slavery, but that doesn't make slavery any less evil nor any less a evil aspect of the society you live in. Which is either a evil or neutral aligned society.
>>
>>50353079

>you're whole body
>literally in the first line
Come on man, you can do better
>>
>>50354153
Yes, slavery is evil, a lot of the other stuff you listed is also probably evil. You willingly participate in evil, congrats, you're evil! Especially if you're a paladin and should know better and shouldn't have such weak convictions (in the way of "oh but my society does it and that's how we've always done it and it seems ok so ehh whatever")

It existing and it being their "normal culture" doesn't suddenly make it not evil. Cultural relativist garbage.
It's especially silly in DnD with objective morality where yes it's likely literally evil and no it's not "actually it's good because my society works well with it and so that's good to us!" because that's not how DnD morality works.

"According to myth, the good-aligned gods who created these myths gave them free will to choose their moral paths, knowing that good without free will is slavery."

Although Paladins in 5e can do whatever the fuck they want since falling doesn't exist and neither do alignment restrictions...although the fluff is still all anti-evil. It just doesn't strike me as "lawful good."

Although alignments suck anyways.
>>
>>50354280
>since falling doesn't exist
Falling still kinda exists in the form of breaking your Oath, but slavery doesn't really necessarily break any of them.
>>
>>50354280
>who created these myths
who created these races*
Sorry. Source is PHB 122

>>50354297
Oh, yeah, that's true, to an extent. The oaths can be fairly iffy and abused, which I think is intentional (to avoid alignment restrictions)
For example a devotion paladin can say you're treating your slaves with honor and respect *befitting their station*, while others might disagree with that concept entirely, since they're "*inherently* not being treated fairly" and other such interpretations.
But as mentioned, I think having slaves doesn't count as LG.
>>
File: 1445514319289.gif (962KB, 320x260px) Image search: [Google]
1445514319289.gif
962KB, 320x260px
So /tg/ Gonna DM for 6 people this weekend, one being someone in my regular group. The day afterwards 2 other regulars join in for a grand total for 8. the 5 others are totally new players who don't even know the rules and they are all starting at level 1. They are kinda leaning towards normal fags, but we do get together on holidays and play boardgames sometimes and they are some swell people besides the dull choice of hobbies mostly so far.

What kind of session should I cook up for them? I'm thinking something comedy filled maybe or something that could create many silly moments or a lot of suspenseful moments. Traps and puzzles might be good, since I want them to be wary. I got a few ideas written down, but they are seperate encounters. Its only going to be played 2 days and after that probably never again, so any absurdaties are good to go? Maybe there is some premade adventures I could draw inspiration from?
>>
File: 8jLgKki.jpg (385KB, 1824x1140px) Image search: [Google]
8jLgKki.jpg
385KB, 1824x1140px
>>50352826
>>50352875
>>50352896
>>50352914
>>50352942
>>50353008
>>50353048
>>50353100
thnx anons. i think ill make it a adult bronze dragon instead of ancient. thats a good compromise imo. i really want a mentor NPC to help drive the plot and guide the PCs if they get lost.

what are the ages of the dragons now in 5e? the MM doesnt have that listed? i imagine a anceint dragon is 2000+
adult is 300+
young is 100+
>>
>>50354536
MM, page 86:
Wyrmling - 5 years or less
Young - 6-100 years
Adult - 101-800 years
Ancient - 801 years or more
>>
>>50354521

Run some of the AL modules. The modron one is pretty good for a bunch of newbies IMO though you'll have to crank it up a bit.
>>
>>50354536
I still think an immature dragon would work best. 'Making their way towards adult'.

The character becomes more relatable, after all, when they're less blatantly overpowered. It also gives players more agency and a chance to do what they want instead of what the DM wants.

Adult dragon isn't bad if your characters are already mid-high level, though.
>>
>>50354567
bleh, those ages are lame.
ancient really has to be 2000 or more years old IMO.
i mean.... those ages are basically the same as elfs...
ill definately be using my own ages

>>50354573
yeah maybe youre right. is there a "young adult"? im planning the characters to be around lvl 5ish when they meet the dragon
>>
>>50354615

Make the stats halfway between a wyrmling and young dragon (or just go with a young dragon).
>>
>>50354615
Adjust the stats somewhere between adult and young adult, perhaps.

They might not be able to create portals into the sea at-will, but they might be channeling it through some magical item.

Young adult shoud give room for player freedom while still keeping a 'you know, we probably shouldn't just try fistfighting a dragon' level of danger, and allowing some level of arrogance on the dragon's part (Because flooding a desert with sea water is pretty arrogant, but the players could understand and might be able to make it work if they want to help)
>>
What's the least useful class to have on the team?

I would say Monk. They really don't fucking do anything.
>>
>check September 2013 Next playtest
>has Four Elements monk
>it does the totem-barbarian-esque method that people have suggested
>but instead of rebalancing it they scrapped the ideas for shitty spells

So I took it, rebalanced it a bit (the ability that lets you grapple here let your unarmed strikes auto-hit in the playtest, for instance), and here it is.
>>
>>50348580
A pit fiend, 4 a pact of the fiend warlock from Volos guide, 8 blackguards from volos guide, and CR 5 or 4 fiends that spawn infinitely every several turns until the warlocks have been offed.
>>
>>50354720

Monk stunning strikes can totally change a combat around, and if they're shadow monks they also bring even more utility and mobility.

Vanilla beast master ranger/frenzy barb are probably the least useful IMO. Or a sorcerer.
>>
>>50354741
These are some neat abilities. You don't get a very wide swathe of elemental abilities, but what you do get is fairly potent. Not very expensive, either.
Would it be too much if you implemented some form of gaining the basic elemental cantrips? (Gust, Control Flames/Produce Flame, Mold Earth, Shape Water) One could be gained each at levels 3/6/11/17.

How much of it is playtest material? I didn't look at much of the playtest material but it seems like so much stuff was more interesting and varied in the playtest.
>>
Quick question, are there any decent online character builders? I want to hash out some builds fast to do some theorycrafting but constantly cross-referencing what I'd get and when is sort of a pain.

I'm fine with it not including all of the books besides the core ones as well, so long as it lets me easily simulate the levelling up process also.
>>
>>50354954
All of the abilities there are in the playtest, with some of the mechanics slightly altered, file related.
>>
>>50353646
Yes you can.
>>
>>50353201
What about palace slaves, who arguable have an increased quality of life for your personal gain.
>>
>>50355146
They would have the same by just being regular palace servants, except also not being socially and legally objects. The only one benefiting from them being slaves is the one holding them, they have nothing from that over being regular servants.
>>
>>50348464
fallen aasimar of the raven queen

cast down for not being good enough at fucking up the undead

wasnt meant to be able to even remember what he was, was just meant to have a peacful life in some random dirtfarm

her advice for regaining his position "go fuck up the undead, and dont die"
>>
>>50349293
This puts that one wild surge into a whole new light.
>>
>>50348580
neutronium elemental

tuckers half-dragon legion

an entire city of dark elves, but you are on a clock

a party of 8 level 20 dpcs with powerful magic items

living demiplane
>>
>>50349074
use it as a magic cruise missile to apply ranged touch spells
>>
>>50354104
>>50354089
>>50354025
There is no inquisitor. There is an inquisitive. Which is just D&Ds way of saying detective.
>>
>>50349352
triton smith with the cleric of the forge domain from the latest unearthed arcana

beating out tridents with the heat of black smokers
>>
>>50355253
>an inquisitive
man I forgot all about that, why'd you bring it back up.
god damn that is so dumb
>>
>>50348892
Looks fun. Burly Elf is a top shelf husbando.
>>
>>50348834
Be burly elf, buy stocks in Mithril and forge your own mithril fullplate.
>>
>>50355203
>Raven Queen
This isn't 4eg, anon.
>>
>>50355253
An inquisitor is just a detective with an official position in a church.
>>
Does anyone know where I can get the premium apk of Fifth Edition Character Sheet for android?

shit's been pulled from my countries playstore
>>
File: 1479757506977.jpg (466KB, 1019x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479757506977.jpg
466KB, 1019x1600px
Anyone ever try a West Marches-style game?

Anyone want to?
>>
>>50355513
what's that? can you describe in details?
>>
>>50355550

Setting for a D&D-inspired comic called Rat Queens (which is quite excellent).
>>
File: 1457971141463.jpg (95KB, 650x550px) Image search: [Google]
1457971141463.jpg
95KB, 650x550px
>>50355550

http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

Basically a big ol' sandbox built for a lot of people where it's okay to flake sometimes because the world can and will go on without you.

>>50355587
No not that
>>
>>50349074
Well.. A blood hawk still benefits from everything any beast companion gets.

At level 5, it will have 14hp, AC16, +6 to hit for 1d4+6 damage with Pack Tactics, and can attack on your turn. Sure it won't be as strong as a wolf, but it can fly and be useful in other ways. Your GM might even throw you a bone for it like letting it have flyby or the mobile feat for free. It also gets your Favoured Enemy perk and a lot of GM's let you proc hunters mark on your pets attack too.
>>
>>50349074
Wait, is it a familiar, or an animal companion.

Because these are two different things, one is basically a shoulder parrot and the other is an attack-hawk.
>>
I'll soon be joining a group for some 5e fun and I've thought up a character (Bard/Warlock) but I'm unsure as to how I should split my levels, as well as what pact boon and spells I should take. I'm leaning more towards Tome for my pact boon, as it fits the overall theme of my character more, but Chain and it's VotCM invocation and variant familiars look very tempting.

The party already consists of a Fighter/Rogue, a Bard, a Wizard, and a Paladin, so I'm not adverse to trading out potential 9th level spells I'm exchange for more utility on the Warlock side of things. After all, Warlock 5/Bard 15 still nets me 8th level spells and a host of other neat tricks from Bard on top of the 2 3rd level slots and an extra invocation from Warlock. I figure I'll grab AB, Devil's Sight, and VotCM if I go with Chain, or swap VotCM with Repelling Blast if I go Tome. That way, I can lean on EB for a good chunk of my offensive and pick up mostly utility (maybe some heals) spells.

The problem is, I've never played a Bard or a Warlock before, so I'm somewhat stumped when it comes to selecting what spells I should grab, especially the bonus ones from Bard.
>>
Am I missing something, or do the spells and effects that say "Every creature within X" actually mean every creature within X or every enemy.

There just seem to be far too many effects like Long-Death monks Fear AoE, or Hammer of Thunderbolts Thunderclap that you would NEVER use because they will likely fuck up one or more of your party members.
>>
>>50355746
If they say "every creature within range" they mean every creature. Some will say every enemy, every hostile creature, or creatures of your choice.

The Long Death monk's fear AoE is meant to be used wisely. It's not hard to get around to the back of the enemy group away from the party with a monk's speed.
>>
>>50355682

Bard spells are all control focused so you should focus on those mostly. Look for debuffs and control spells like Animate Objects (blasty), mass suggestion (control), Geas (control), Bestow curse (nasty debuff), greater invisibility (defense, control, and offense) and so on.

As for your magical secrets, that depends entirely on what kind of bard you want to be. Personally, when in doubt, I think nicking paladin spells like Aura of Vitality is always a strong way to go for massive team healing.

>>50355746

If it says everyone, it means everyone. Otherwise evocation wizard Sculpt Spell feature would be worse than useless.
>>
>>50355655
>>50355679
Animal Companion. And thanks for your interest! The creature is a Hawk, by the way. Not a Blood Hawk. Yeah, I know. Didn't have any say on the matter.

I probably could convince my GM to let hunter's mark damage proc on its attacks. It would make sense. Except I'm probably never going to let the stupid bird attack in the first place.

My initial post was 8 hours ago. In the meanwhile, I think I've realised my GM has no idea how 5E actually works, and is very focused on the story and characters interaction.

Which means he probably uses the Rule of Cool a lot. He honestly better be lenient as fuck because we're putting up with a whole lot of shit.
So, any fun ideas of what I could do with that?
>>
>>50355682
From my experience with 5e.

Multiclassing is done for two reasons. One, to hit a niche character feel, and Two, to abuse wierd gimmick ability stacking.

Now due to backgrounds, general roleplaying and the freedom to build characters fairly well rounded, there is no real reason you can't be a pure warlock and hit that "Bardic" feel. Having Bardic Inspiration and Lore expertise doesn't make the feel of a bard, it's the versatile and supportive nature that gives it the feel, all of which can be done on a pure warlock just fine.

Likewise, you want that feel of the occult nature, dealing with dark forces and ulterior motives? All of this can be established easily on a pure bard.

So with that established, the only reason to multiclass is to be a cheesy munchkin. You're not a cheesy munchkin are you?

Think about what you want out of Bard, and what you want out of Warlock, then see if you can't do what you want as a pure class.
>>
>>50355815
Seems a bit.. Unintutive. "Aawh shit, Reapedge is going to do that "Die die die" thing again, I always lose my shit over this even know it's the 12th time I've seen him do it over the last year and the ARGHH OH GOD ITS SO SPOOKY!!"
>>
>>50355816
Oh, in that case is it actually using animal companion or is it kind of a "Freebie" non-item reward, if it is using ranger, then it's a CR0 beast then just simply snap the birds neck and find a Bloodhawk.
>>
So i'm trying to refluff the Glasstaf for another campaign, as a more powerful "Cloak of Something", intended for an abjurer.
+1 AC, 10 charges to cast
>Mage Armor
>Shield
>One other spell
I don't know what to have for the last one. Maybe Stoneskin, but I'd rather not have it with concentration. I also need help with the name. Any creative anons willing to help me out?
>>
>>50350628
That drawing makes absolutely no sense, why would the female lose the fur which would protect her just on the chest to have giant humanoid tits? JFC
>>
>>50355897
Same reason ours did you stupid fuck, to attract a mate for snu-snu.
>>
>>50355893
Do you have an Abjurerer in your party? I recently rebalanced Phandelver for a large group so had to buff Glasstaff also.
>>
>>50355817
>Having Bardic Inspiration and Lore expertise doesn't make the feel of a bard, it's the versatile and supportive nature that gives it the feel, all of which can be done on a pure warlock just fine.
I'd say these are the only things about the 5e bard that feel bardic. It's frustrating to me that bards are full casters because they could have loaded them up with lots of different cool abilities using something akin to warlock invocations, or some other system entirely. Instead just more spell slots, and oh three of my class levels are also about getting spells from any list I want, four levels if I'm college of lore. And speaking of archetypes, I only get a paltry three archetype levels, the last of which is 8 freaking levels away from the previous one? Why?

I say take bard to 3rd or 5th level and then hop out into warlock forever. Bard sucks.
>>
>>50355963
The worst thing about 5e Bard is that it basically got a ton of things Sorcerers should have gotten, making Bards better Sorcerers than Sorcerer, in exchange for being worse at being Bards.
>>
>>50355933
Yeah, currently 7th level, and with a crazy high constitution, she's a tough little gnome. But I meant I want to refluff the staff itself, not exactly buff the NPC.
>>
>>50355963
Are you trolling? Bard is pretty much the strongest class in the game.

But the question is with the versatility of roleplaying your character however the fuck you want, there is no reason you can't have a bardic fellow who uses warlock for his class levels, or a warlocky fellow who uses bard for his class levels.

There is no reason to multiclass because "I kind of want a bard-like character with warlock elements."

The only reason to multiclass is to cheese overlap abilities.
>>
>>50349104
Vegepygmies could be good. You can have them come upon a fallen caravan with all the products covered in "rust" and have the vegepygmies burst out of the former merchants bodies and get a surprise round if the PC's can't identify the rust colored mold with nature rolls.
>>
>>50355963
> Bard sucks.
only in /tg/ can you read this shit

>>50356013
> Bards got a ton of things Sorcerers should have gotten
What are you thinking of specifically ?

>>50355868
It's kind of a freebie, yeah. And that's my thoughts as well. I'll see if the GM is sending us beasts, and if I have the feeling they are CR<1/2 I'll try to seduce one (that's how it works right?)

Guess it's kind of a lesser find familiar for the moment.
>>
>>50349334
I want to fuck that warlock
>>
>>50356074
>What are you thinking of specifically ?
Mostly Magical Secrets, arguably Countercharm (though not in that direct sense), Ritual Casting, amount of Spells Known and battle casting for an archetype.
>>
Just bought storm king.
Any tips? It'll be my first time as DM?
Also, what should I do if no one in the party can speak giant?
>>
>>50356137
Countercharm has been a Bard spell for forever.

Magical Secrets makes a lot more sense in Bard (who are curious little fuckers) than in Sorcerer (who don't learn shit).

Ritual Casting is basically a Bard's performance. Sorcerers not getting this (since they are impulsive and don't have to learn the deep intricacies of spells) makes sense.

Amounts of Spells Known is a memory/intelligence thing. I know Sorcerers' numbers are fucked up, but bards being performers they should have a pretty good memory.

I know Sorcerers are pretty meh and could be 10 times more awesome (and I personally run homerules for them) but you haven't convinced me.

Interestingly though, Bard could have been a Sorcerer Archetype. It would make sense thematically.
>>
>>50355893
Any ideas on which spells would fit?
>>
>>50356051
For an item like this, I wouldn't be afraid to make it rather powerful, let it be that characters signature item that will still be a service to them towards the 15+ level region.

Stonemantle, a heavy green cloak adorned with yeti-fur and worn by a legendary dwarven abjurerer Ulfric Stonehammer.

When attuned, this cloak grants a multitude of bonuses, counting as a cloak of protection that additionally grants the user the effects the Mage armour spell at all times it also increases the wearers arcane ward by 15 points. Finally, the cloak has 8 charges, regaining 1d6+2 at Dawn, 1 charge to cast Shield, 4 Charges to cast Stoneskin.

So in total.

AC 13+Dex, +1 AC, +1 Saves, +15 Arcane Ward, Shield+Stoneskin on charge.

If you feel like adding a little extra, perhaps throw a Brooch of Shielding on it too. Or a "Stonefriend" ability that makes Gargoyles, Stone Elementals and Terran-based Mephits treat you more favourably, or even gain temp HP on summoning. Alternatively, "Stones Grudge" that makes the aforementioned elementals target you more directly in combat over your allies, harbouring a deep inate hatred against you.
>>
>>50356295
>Magical Secrets makes a lot more sense in Bard (who are curious little fuckers) than in Sorcerer (who don't learn shit).
You are fixating too much on the fluff here, the principle is that Sorcerers should have gotten the ability to buff their anemic spell list with a few spells from other spell lists to reflect their intuitive spell development (indeed thats something Sorcerers actually could do back in 3e/3.5).

>>50356295
>>50356295
>Ritual Casting is basically a Bard's performance. Sorcerers not getting this (since they are impulsive and don't have to learn the deep intricacies of spells) makes sense.
It doesn't really make a lot of sense that Sorcerer would be incapable of using Rituals, if anything they should have just as intuitive an understanding of them as of spells.

>>50356295
>Amounts of Spells Known is a memory/intelligence thing.
No its not, Bards don't favor Int anymore than Sorcerer do and nothing about Bards implies greater Int focus, you might have a argument if it were Lore Bard specific, but its not. Neither Bards nor Sorcerer "memorize" their spells to begin with.
>>
>>50356191
"Hey guys, did one of you make sure to pick up Giant as your language? It's pretty vital to the campaign so don't fuck it up."
>>
>>50356382
>You are fixating too much on the fluff here,
And by saying these things you are basically saying "I do not understand what 5E is about and how 5E is designed".

I agree that rituals could make sense for Sorcerers, but I understand why they choose to buff the concept of ritual casting by fucking over Sorcerers. It's not pretty but it's one of the classes that could be fucked over, and they did.

I must have lost you with the word "intelligence" but I'm saying a Bard having a good memory makes sense. That's basically one of the best skill that a minstrel should have: a good memory. That's literally the main thing they were used for.

And I'd argue that to know something complex, like a spell, you must have memorized... But then we'd fall into semantics and I'm sure we're all very busy.

I don't think we can agree here. But your point is an interesting one and I'm glad you explained it.
>>
>>50355817
Well, the multiclassing is more than just my character taking a second class. Note that all of the story from the time I acquired the info until the end has already occured in the game. When I pitched the idea to the DM, he told me about a previous story with these players and characters and realized that I would be able to slip right in as someone the party has worked with. I had originally only wanted to roll with Bard (specifically, Bard as a spy of sorts), however, after hearing the tale of Albarth, I thought that a few levels of Warlock would be appropriate.

After his Bardic training at the hands of an organization of spies and saboteurs who worked for the government, he eventually discovered information revealing that someone had imprisoned a being of unknown power and was currently researching a way to weaponize that power. He passes that information on to the military and they eventually launch an offensive against the individual, which my character takes part in.

He gets there and discover that nearly everyone there is either catatonic, stark raving mad, or dead. Turns out that someone thought it was a good idea to capture the PMPlane's manifestation of a GOO and conduct experiments on it. Said GOO pretty much drove them all mad, as was to be expected. There's not much left at the scene aside from a medallion that looks like it's constantly shifting from one form to another. As the lead investigator on the case, he takes the medallion with him so our scholars can study it. This particular GOO, though, has an appetite for knowledge, especially secrets, and it left that medallion in the hopes that it would fall into the hands of someone who would be able to provide it with what it wanted.

Fast forward a few years, and now my character has started hearing strange, eerie voices and seeing impossible shapes and images in his sleep.
>>
>>50356469
>but I'm saying a Bard having a good memory makes sense
I'm not arguing that, a Bard should have a good memory, that is, I think, pretty unarguable. I'm saying that their good memory isn't related to their spellcasting ability and even less so related to that of Sorcerers.

>>50356469
>And by saying these things you are basically saying "I do not understand what 5E is about and how 5E is designed".
I understand perfectly fine, I just disagree with the design.
>>
>>50356492
I think "multiclassing is for munchkins" is kind of a meme in /5eg/. Just a way to bait a lot of people with a single sentence.
>>
>>50355921
I'd bug her bear
>>
>>50356492
Be Lore Bard, emphasis on forbidden knowledge and secrets, especially in the recent years. Find a background that fits, perhaps sage or scholar, or possibly even Hermit to reflect this eldrich dreams and becoming increasingly distant from normal folk.

Take spells such as Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion to add to the flavour and possibly garnish with using Magical Secrets to obtain some of the Warlock only spells like Hunger of Hadar, his eldrich corruption manifest.
>>
>>50356554
Bards are actually particularly good to have a Warlock-ish bend without needing to multiclass, since "Making a Pact with a Fey/Devil/Etc for your magical music" is a pretty good explanation of how your bardic magic works, and also iconic to boot.
>>
>>50356379
Stonemantle, that sounds very neat. I think I might just give it Mage Armor at will, since she has to cast a abjuration spell to create the Ward. Otherwise it seems great. How would you have Stoneskin, by the way? Since it takes both concentration and 100gp per cast. Would you keep both limitations on the mantle?
>>
>>50356533
It may be a meme, but I genuinely feel that way. The only multiclass things I tend to see are very often A) Paladin/Warlock Combos getting cheesy with Sage Advice to abuse Divine Strike spam. or B) "Yeah, I'm taking 2 levels of fighter for the Fighting style plus Action Surge bruh."

Any other multiclass that are just for "Oh, I want to play a thief turned holy warrior so what split of Rogue to Paladin should I take?" when a Paladin with the Criminal background would suffice both thematically and mechanically, as would a Rogue with a Clerical background and skill choices, or at a stretch, a Trickery Domain cleric.
>>
>>50356632
Mage armour on yourself at will seems fine just don't let it add 2hp to her ward else she will spam-cast it to regenerate her ward when it gets weak.

I'd still have Stoneskin take concentration, but feel free to drop the material cost.
>>
>>50356635
I think it's a bit stupid to assume that you can't enjoy both the mechanical aspects and the roleplay aspects of the game. I feel people too often are very fond of putting every situation in 2 sides and thinking there's no reasonable middle ground.

I certainly enjoy most characters and I believe 99.9% of them can be done without multiclassing. But I do believe there's nothing wrong with enjoying the mechanics of one class and making choices that are 99% gameplay.

But is it really that different than choosing to maxing your spellcasting ability as soon as possible instead of picking the War Caster feat when your character is used to fight with his magic ?
>>
>>50356688
Thanks a lot, anon! I'll think up how to word it in a way she can create her Ward but can't keep casting Mage Armor to regenerate it. Would you happen to have a cool image to go with the item?
>>
>>50356739
Alright, that seems thought out and reasonable, thank you for the response. I feel that most characters can be accomplished without multiclassing and that it would both be easier to handle and more mechanically proficient to avoid it where possible but it seems you agree on that, but yes I do have to agree that ultimately there isn't any real problem with doing otherwise. To the note in question, I feel they should heavily consider if their character could not be established simply with a Entertainer background Warlock, or a Sage background Bard with spell selections on each themed to requirements.

If they insist on the multiclass, I'd suggest 5 levels of Bard and the rest into Warlock giving them plenty of inspiration to dole out as well as a reserve of bardic spells, Possibly Lorebard6 to get one dose of Magical secrets before dropping into 'Lock. What kind of level will they be joining at?
>>
>>50355893
>>50356379
Now that got me thinking how cool it'd be to have the Cloak of Levitation from Dr. Strange as a D&D item.
>>
>>50356635
As the player looking to build the Bardlock, one of the players dipped Rogue merely for the Fast Hands ability. His armor is full of weapons, so now he is capable of all of his attacks (dual wielding), using any of the stupid strong (damage on them ranges from 2d6/round for 3 rounds to 3d10/round for 2 rounds, then there are the items allowing for battlefield control) weapon-like items the DM allowed him to build into his armor, then action surge and do it all again. He is essentially Iron Man combined with Batman. The other players at the table all have plans for similar shenanigans, which has left the DM with few options other than upping the encounter difficulty, as he's fairly new at this and seems to operate on the Rule of Cool.

I feel like I'm almost being pressured into cheesy builds if I want to keep pace with the rest of the team. Sure, I could roll Wiz, Sorc, or Cleric, however, those were my usual classes in previous editions and I want to step outside of my box to try something new. On top of that, I've got a pretty good reason in-game for multiclassing. That leaves me feeling a lot better about my choices, as they feel more organic than simply wanting to maximize my effectiveness and taking anything and everything that will help me do it.
>>
>>50356892
You know you can only take one bonus action a round, right? And fasthands only helps you use items faster?
>>
>>50356852
I would be joining at level 8, maybe 9 if I can't make it to the session this Friday and have to wait for the next one. I've mainly been leaning towards a heavy Bard investment and haven't really looked at how things might play out if I flipped the numbers around.
>>
>>50356635
>he only multiclass things I tend to see are very often A) Paladin/Warlock Combos getting cheesy with Sage Advice to abuse Divine Strike spam. or B) "Yeah, I'm taking 2 levels of fighter for the Fighting style plus Action Surge bruh."

And what is the problem with either of those?
>>
File: Cloak1.jpg (15KB, 236x339px) Image search: [Google]
Cloak1.jpg
15KB, 236x339px
>>50356842
Could just leave the Mage armour out and let her cast it herself for simplicity sake, getting Shield and Stoneskin off the cloak is nice enough.

As for appearance, my first thought was something similar to this, but in a dark green. Perhaps with a mantle of white fur thrown around the shoulders ontop of it but otherwise it is up to you, feel free to change it visually however you want.
>>
>>50356920
I am aware of this, yes. The DM, however, is choosing to classify the built-in arnaments as items, not weapons, so the player is allowed to utilize the Use an Object action and activate one of them during the bonus action.
>>
File: 1451359406079.png (307KB, 611x564px) Image search: [Google]
1451359406079.png
307KB, 611x564px
>that shitty character played by an ok player dies a totally justified death
>>
>>50356892
>>50356938
My honest advice is to go 9 levels of Bard, and use your spell selection, magical secrets, background and skills to reflect your "Warlock" elements, as pure bard will be stronger and more thematic than anything a couple levels of Warlock will offer you.

If you insist on multiclassing, 5 levels of Bard is a minimum for "Font of Inspiration" but It is worth pushing 6 for magical secrets. This will give you 3-4 levels of Warlock, which at least let you churn out level 2 spells. Pact of the Tome is generally the best but I enjoy Pact of the Chain if you can think of something that fits the GoO insanity patron. Perhaps a Quasit?
>>
>>50356074
Honestly, speak with your GM.

If he wants the Hawk to be a competent companion for fights, its going to at least need bumping up to Blood Hawk. If he just wants you to have it as a find-familiareqsue pet, then you know to keep it out of fights and enjoy it for what it is rather than force it where the GM doesn't want it.
>>
>>50348464
How much of the UA material we've seen for the different classes will be in the next splatbook?

Will we ever get Eberron?
>>
File: 0RdmNoV.png (202KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
0RdmNoV.png
202KB, 480x480px
tfw no group
>>
File: Eberron-cg.jpg (621KB, 1600x1447px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron-cg.jpg
621KB, 1600x1447px
>>50357082
>How much of the UA material we've seen for the different classes will be in the next splatbook?
I imagine that a lot of the variant rules and most of the released class stuff that hasn't already been published will find their way in there.

>Will we ever get Eberron?
I pray for it every night before bed.
>>
>>50357091
Find someone to do stupid one-shot dungeon crawls on roll20, duh.
>>
>>50357076
I never said I wanted to "force it where the GM doesn't want it". I asked for fun things to do with a falcon / hawk.

And I'm probably going to have a lot of questions for my GM. Like why the fuck he thought archery fighting styles were stacking when it specifically says it doesnt.
Or "confirming" Shield, Grease and Charm-Person as being cantrips.
>>
File: pursuer.png (584KB, 662x753px) Image search: [Google]
pursuer.png
584KB, 662x753px
>>50357113
What's preventing you from running Eberron at the moment?
>>
>>50357091
roll20. finding a group is like sifting through a pile of AIDS needles but good groups exist
>>
File: 64954006.jpg (160KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
64954006.jpg
160KB, 640x579px
>>50357167
Nothing. I'm running one right now, three sessions in. But I would like some 5e support outside of my magic item selling and crafting rules, and for the races from the UA to be better.
>>
>>50357153
I wasn't accusing you man, I was saying it to the note of there is no point us suggesting ways to use it in combat if the GM doesn't want you to have it in combat. Alternatively suggesting you use it to scout areas isn't going to be worthwhile if the GM just wants it to give you a roleplay boon. Alternatively there isn't much point wasting time roleplaying too heavily with it if the GM just thought you were going to use it as a pet to help you in combat.

Also, Shield as a cantrip, like what the fuck? Charm-Person as a cantrip that completley outclasses Friends? Grease as a cantrip sounds fun though, one of my favourite spells.
>>
>>50357170
I'd happily run something for some /tg/bros but it would be a fuck about dungeon crawl with little roleplaying or social interactions thrown in. I need more practice with the system and GM'ing as a whole.
>>
>>50357194
a grease cantrip that only affected one 5ft square could be neat, use it on a doorway or something
>>
>>50357170
Can confirm, my group in on roll20 and currently everyone is pretty solid.
Small frustrations here and there, but I figure that's in every group.
>>
>>50357044
Is there a particular reason Tome is considered the best? I can see myself getting far more usage out of the improved familiar, but maybe there is something I'm not quite grasping when it comes to the Tome.
>>
>>50357212
Roll20 has LMoP available for like 20 bucks, does most the work for you. I've both played and run it, it's a nice little adventure.

Very basic on RP stuff, somewhat sandboxy within a kinda small contained area on the Sword Coast, pretty combat focused
>>
>>50357213
Bonus points if it scales up in size as you level.
>>
>>50357224
Improved familiar is as strong as your GM allows it, and as strong as the situation allows it. Sometimes having a pixie sneak into a room invisible through a window to unlock the door from the inside is great. Sometimes you can give your imp a magic wand and send him with some conjured mephits to let your group be in two places at once, sometimes he will sit in the corner and do nothing because your GM says "No I don't think so."

Additionally, Pact of the Tome, take Shiloopydoo and use Greenflame blade, you're now better in melee than a pact of the blade will ever be. Take Find-Familiar, you have all the bonuses of a Pact of the Chain. You now have all the rituals you can carry plus a free cantrip slot.

>>50357238
I have it but was pretty let down by the contents, not ran it yet though but I bought it mostly as a "Lets see how professionals set up a campaign module so I can set my own one up similar."
>>
>>50357292
Speaking of Mephits. What is the best Mephit to summon with Conjure Minor Elemental.

I'm a big fan of Mud-Mephits. The restraining breath is fantastic, and exploding into the same goo when they die gives you loads of advantages in combat plus you get 8 of em.
>>
>>50357256
>Oil
>Conjuration, S, M (a small piece of animal fat)
>30ft Range, 1 Action cast time
>1 minute, Concentration
>choose a 5ft square within the spells range. The square becomes filled with a slick, black oil. A creature of Medium size or smaller must make a Dexterity saving throw to move through the square. On a failed save, the creature falls prone.
>at level 5, the area covered increases to two 5ft squares connected to eachother. It increases by another 5ft at level 11 and 17.

>>50357292
It's a pretty good adventure. The only thing the Roll20 version lacks is good maps, easily rectified by this:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?760586-Various-maps-I-ve-made-for-the-Starter-Set-(Lost-Mine-of-Phandelver)
>>
>>50357170
>>50357152
all the roll20 I can find are fucking 12 person groups, full of rainbow unicorn homebrew shit, or already deep into a campaign
>>
>>50357321
Yea there is a lot of big groups on Roll20 which I just cannot fucking GRASP as I can't think of any worse way to play with a large group (large groups already being horrid 99% of time) than with voice, I play with a 7 man group (6 players 1 gm) and it's already chaotic
>>
ok i'm starting to world build for my homebrew setting. I been looking to a lot of dark sun for inspiration and like the whole deal with iron being a rarity and thus want alternative weapon/armor materials and rules for 5e about such weapons breaking. anything like that yet?
>>
>>50357315
Funnily enough, I just today finished rebuilding the Lost Mines campaign module on Roll20 using these exact maps because I was a little unhappy with the standard LMoP. It's balanced up a little bit because my group are experienced and 6 players but mostly it's along the lines of "Add 2 goblins here." or "Morg the Bugbear has +10HP and Chainmail on".
>>
File: major arcana.jpg (109KB, 714x606px) Image search: [Google]
major arcana.jpg
109KB, 714x606px
hey /tg/ i need help for an encounter

im having fun implementing the major arcana as kind of a collecting side game for the players
it should add to the fun without distracting anyone, and if it does distract the party so be it

the session should be about retrieving something in a archmage's tower.

for instance they'll encounter a mimic at some point, and under its corpse they should find Force (moral strength)
later they might find a secret door with a bunch of magic items, i'll throw in the Chariot (good luck on travels and adventures)

anyway, i found a good fit for most of them but i'm thinking i could use another fight, possibly the "boss fight", and why not use the Sun and the Moon for this

any ideas of what it should be about ?
>>
>>50357418
Be sure to replace the leader of the first goblin cave with a nilbog.
>>
>>50357431
that fucker already one shot my fighter for 17 damage
>>
File: ass_we_can.png (160KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
ass_we_can.png
160KB, 500x356px
If our dm tells us to take max HP per level, and I'm level 9 champion with a cont of 18, wouldnt that make my max HP 238?
14 hp for 1st and then it increases by 10 + (4* fighter level?)
I have a dm who just makes each character take appropriate hit die max + cont mod per level, as a flat hp boost per level instead if the games formula.
Is that ok/normal?
>>
>>50357458
9*14 =126
>>
>>50357465
I thought the amount you applied the con mod increased per level as it was worded, my bad
Thanks for helping me out
>>
File: Stonemantle.jpg (42KB, 400x839px) Image search: [Google]
Stonemantle.jpg
42KB, 400x839px
>>50356959
Thanks for everything anon, I think I'll use pic related since blue also fits abjuration. Here's what I ended up with:

"A heavy blue cloak adorned with arcane runes, once worn by the legendary dwarven abjurer Nimena Stonehammer.

While you are attuned to this cloak and wearing it, you gain a +1 bonus to AC, resistance to force damage and can cast mage armor on yourself at will (Casting this spell in such a way does not regenerate an abjurer's Arcane Ward, however it can be used to create one).

The mantle has 7 charges, which can be used to cast shield (1 charge) or stoneskin (4 charges, no concentration required, material components must still be provided). Every day at dawn, it regains 1d6+1 expended charges.

Lastly, if you follow the School of Abjuration, the Stonemantle improves your Arcane Ward, giving it extra hit points equal to your wizard level."
>>
Get in here >>50357567.

>>50357567
>>50357567
>>50357567
>>
>>50357431
I am so tempted to squeeze a Nilbog into Cragmaw. I've dropped a couple Gazers into the Spectator fight as well as a few Iron-Shadow Hobgoblins which one player has a personal quest to defeat.
>>
>>50357507
It's worded a bit unclear yea

a party of max HP pcs is going to be nuts. If the GM is also doing max HP for npcs yall are gonna get in some HP slug fests
>>
>>50348580
An entire dungeon full of extremely competent kobolds, they're ancient dragon master, and his lich wizard friend he knows from the old days filling the dungeon with magic shit.
>>
>>50357588
To be fair our dm cuts corners and makes stuff up on the spot
Ie not allowing attacks to hit/miss within armor class, making us roll an obscene amount of checks,
Crits are percentile based, not extra dice
>>
I am the only one that haves a problem of long fights because of hp? any idea how to fix this?
>>
>>50355513
I have a note book that I've been writing setting ideas into, while working on a map, all in my downtime. Found out about WM a while afterwards.

I was going to run it using Lamentations of the Flame Princess, but no one wants to play that system or says it's too difficult. I'll probably end up doing 5e if I ever want to use the setting at this rate.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.